Shades Of Gray by summer
Past Featured StorySummary:

Life doesn't always give you what you want. Sometimes it gives you what you need...rather you realize it or not.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: No Word count: 188386 Read: 72190 Published: 05/07/10 Updated: 01/01/12
Story Notes:

 

© Copyright 2010, 2011

1. Chapter One by summer

2. Chapter Two by summer

3. Chapter Three by summer

4. Chapter Four by summer

5. Chapter Five by summer

6. Chapter Six by summer

7. Chapter Seven by summer

8. Chapter Eight by summer

9. Chapter Nine by summer

10. Chapter Ten by summer

11. Chapter Eleven by summer

12. Chapter Twelve by summer

13. Chapter Thirteen by summer

14. Chapter Fourteen by summer

15. Chapter Fifteen by summer

16. Chapter Sixteen by summer

17. Chapter Seventeen by summer

18. Chapter Eighteen by summer

19. Chapter Nineteen by summer

20. Chapter Twenty by summer

21. Chapter Twenty-One by summer

22. Chapter Twenty-Two by summer

23. Chapter Twenty-Three by summer

24. Chapter Twenty-Four by summer

25. Chapter Twenty-Five by summer

26. Chapter Twenty-Six by summer

27. Chapter Twenty-Seven by summer

28. Chapter Twenty-Eight by summer

29. Chapter Twenty-Nine by summer

30. Chapter Thirty by summer

31. Chapter Thirty-One by summer

32. Chapter Thirty-Two by summer

33. Chapter Thirty-Three by summer

34. Chapter Thirty-Four by summer

35. Chapter Thirty-Five by summer

36. Chapter Thirty-Six by summer

37. Chapter Thirty-Seven by summer

38. Chapter Thirty-Eight by summer

39. Chapter Thirty-Nine by summer

40. Chapter Forty by summer

Chapter One by summer
Author's Notes:
As promised...here is my surprise! I started a new fic and wanted to share the first chp with you! And yes, I'm still working on both Tears Before Bedtime and Once In A Blue Moon, so no fears. But this was something stuck in my head I had to get out. :) So enjoy and please let me know what you think. I'll be looking forward to it. :)

 

“I’m pregnant.”

The words spilled from Brielle Madison’s mouth and Lily Hunt stared shocked at her best friend.

“Um, can you say that again?” The bustle of the people around them on the outdoor veranda of the bistro faded away as she set her mocha latte down and watched the petite blonde across from her with wide eyes.

“I’m pregnant.”

Lily gaped, opening her mouth to speak but nothing coming out.

Brielle sighed and tucked silky blonde locks behind her ear. “Say something.”

“Wha…how…you….how can you be pregnant?”

“I think you know how.”

Lily blinked, pressing her fingers to her forehead a minute then looked back to her friend. “I know how. But…” she waved a hand, “how?” Brielle didn’t have a boyfriend, and last time she’d checked she hadn’t even been dating anyone.

Brielle’s eyes dropped to the table and she fiddled with the napkin in her lap. “It’s a long story.”

“I have time.” The darker haired woman sat up straight in the chair.

“Course you do.” She smoothed the napkin some, keeping her attention on the table in front of them.

“Brielle,” Lily reached over and touched her arm, “you’re my friend and I want to help you. You have to tell me what happened.”

But she wasn’t sure if she could; it was all so humiliating and it meant recognizing defeat. But she also knew there really wasn’t any way around not telling her nearest and dearest, not to mention, one of the few friends she had. “Alright,” she finally relented, shifting down a bit more in her seat and turning her somber blue eyes upon the woman across from her. “You remember that meeting I had with Benjamin Lutkas?”

The brunette gave a nod, listening closely, her own green eyes filled with concern.

“That meeting didn’t go so well.” She balled the napkin and tossed it onto the table, her mind taking her back to that day.

~*~

“I’m sorry, Miss Madison, but this just isn’t going to cut it.”

Brielle stared at the tall, balding man seated behind a dark mahogany desk, her stomach heart sliding right into her toes at his words. “I um…I could take them again.”

“Miss Madison,” he removed his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose before replacing the frames, “I don’t have time for you to take them again. In fact, I don’t think I have any more time for you again.”

His words echoed in her ears and she had to fight back the tears. “I…um…but…”

“You just don’t have what it takes, my dear.” He sat back in his chair, folding his hands together and resting them on his ribcage. “I know you want to and I know you are trying, but you don’t. The eye of an artist is not there. These pictures are nothing but garbage.” He motioned towards the photographs scattered over his desk. “There isn’t a single one in that pile I can use.”

“I…” Brielle was speechless. No one had ever told her that her photographs were garbage before. Sure, no one had seemed to care for them, but no one had been that cruel or disheartening. They’d always politely turned her down and left her with hope that someone else would like them. But all those hopes and dreams were quickly starting to plummet before her teary eyes.

“I’m sorry, Miss Madison.” Benjamin Lutkas leaned forward again and began gathering the glossy black and white photographs. “I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, but I only speak the truth. And the truth of the matter is you just don’t have it. This is a hard enough business to break into and you always have to bring your A game. You may be trying, but it’s not working.” He tucked the photos back into the manila folder then held it towards the sullen blonde. “Might I suggest you think about taking up another career?”

Brielle wordlessly accepted the folder back. Her whole heart and soul had gone into taking these pictures and this man was trashing them like they were nothing; like she was nothing.

“The world’s a big place. There’s a lot out there; you’ll find your niche.” He gave her a reassuring nod then walked her to the door. “You’re still young; don’t let it get to you, eh?”

She wasn’t sure she could speak around the lump forming in her throat, but she mumbled some kind of thank you then quickly fled the room, hurrying down the hall and past the employees that milled about. She made it down the elevator and into the lobby, pausing only long enough to stare at the folder and see those hopes of becoming a great and well known photographer being washed down the toilet. It was never going to happen, she was never going to be anything more than what she was; a failure.

Trying to blink the tears out of her vision, she dumped the folder into the nearest trash can, where they belonged, and hurried from the building.

Twenty minutes later found her in a ragged looking bar seated at the counter trying to drown her sorrows in a glass of Jack Daniels.

What was the point of anything, she wondered, staring into the amber colored liquid before taking a swallow and feeling the burn. It felt so good as it traveled down her throat and into her tummy, warming her body and numbing those feelings of no good and despair like it was intended to. She didn’t want to think, she didn’t want to feel; she only wanted to forget.

Benjamin Lutkas had been her last hope, her final savior. But he’d only driven another nail into her coffin and it wouldn’t be long before she was suffocating and succumbing to the darkness. She’d given up so much, left it all behind when she’d moved to the bustling city, determined to make her dreams come true. But she was drowning in her own failure and had no one to turn to.

Her parents flashed before her eyes and she took another large gulp of the alcohol. No, she couldn’t go back to them. They’d made it very clear that sunny day in June two years ago that if she walked out that door, she was to stay gone. They would not have a daughter anymore and when she ran out of money and was living on the streets, she was to remember that they had tried to warn her, to stop her and give her that life she deserved.

She’d given up a college scholarship, a boyfriend who loved her and a family that always did their best to make her happy. For what? To become a failure and nearly homeless in New York City? Was it worth it? She certainly thought it had been when she’d first arrived; bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to make her dreams come true. But it had been one closed door after another and it never seemed that Brielle had a key to them. She was continuously turned down, not even the newspaper would give her the time of day and publish just one photograph. But the determined blonde hadn’t let them get to her; she’d only taken their advice and applied it, trying even harder to churn out the kind of photographs they wanted.

But it was hopeless. And now, here she was, two years later in a seedy bar drowning her sorrows in alcohol. She had run out of money long ago, only making ends meet with what little she could scrape up from odd jobs here or there. She lived in a shabby loft apartment next door to drug dealers and pimps; her landlord was continuously on her about her rent. And now she didn’t even have the one thing that had always made it okay, made her know that all this was temporary and she would come out okay in the end.

So, what did any of it matter? Maybe she should take her neighbor, Johnny, up on his offer and turn a few tricks. It didn’t make a difference anymore; she had no reason to hold herself on a higher stoop than anyone else. After all, she was nothing but garbage.

“Here’s your bill, Miss.”

The bartender’s voice pulled her from her thoughts of misery and she turned her attention to the slip of paper he’d set down in front of her. Oh right, she had to pay for this alcohol.

Taking up her purse, she zipped it open and dug out her wallet. She had ten dollars left to get her through the week, which should be plenty to cover the two glasses of Jack Daniels she’d consumed. But upon checking her wallet, she only found it empty. If Brielle had been sober, she would have cared more, but the sight of her empty wallet did nothing but conjure up a giggle and her body sagged. Well, she used to have ten dollars left, but now it appeared she had nothing.

How could she get out of this? Should she cry? She most certainly felt like she could. Maybe offer to clear a few tables? Dishes? She was never good at dishes. Her older sister would tease her that when she had a place of her own, she’d need a housekeeper because there were a few things Brielle was just not good at. Maybe this bartender would take pity and just let her sulk away.

“Miss?”

She cast her cloudy blue eyes his way and saw the impatient look on his face. No, he didn’t seem the type to let her get away with this. “I um…” she checked her wallet thoroughly then began digging through her purse. Had someone stolen her ten dollars? Maybe it’d slipped out earlier. “I don’t…um…” her heart was starting to beat faster as the realization of what was going on began to sink in to her inebriated self.

“Do you not have the money?” He arched a brow and folded his thick arms across his chest.

“I…I did…” she stammered, rechecking her wallet again, “I swear I did.”

“Look, lady, if you can’t pay your bill, I’m gonna have to-”

“Here, this should cover it.”

Brielle looked over to see a gentleman next to her, sliding a twenty dollar bill across the counter. “Keep the change and bring us another glass each,” he instructed the bartender as the man accepted the bill and gave a nod, moving off to fill the request.

He seated himself on the stool next to hers and looked to her, his dark eyes taking her in.

Brielle just watched him, feeling herself flinching inwardly as he scrutinized her. “Um…thank you.”

The man reached and rubbed the slight beard that covered the lower half of his face. “You’re welcome, darlin’.”

The blonde gave a nod and glanced to the bartender as he set their drinks down then moved on again. Taking up her glass, she peered into it then looked back to the stranger. He was taking up his own drink and swirling in the glass before taking a swallow.

As their eyes met, he lowered his tumbler, still holding it in a hand that was covered with tattoos. “Can I ask you a question?”

Brielle tore her eyes from the designs on his skin and back to his eyes, noting the softness in them despite this hard exterior; a raspy voice, tattoos, and mysterious demeanor. “You just saved my ass; of course you can ask me a question.”

He chuckled at that. “What’s a pretty thing like you doing in a place like this?”

She gave a low laugh. “I think that is probably one of the most clichéd pick up lines I’ve ever heard.”

The man laughed, his eyes twinkling at the amusement he was finding in the situation. “That wasn’t a pick up line, honey. If I was trying to pick you up, you’d know.”

She took a sip of her drink, savoring it a moment before responding to him, “So I’m not pretty enough for you to pick up?”

“Oh, you’re pretty enough, alright.”

His eyes roamed her body and she felt herself shivering. Quickly, she took another drink. “Then why aren’t you trying?”

He tilted his head, shifting his body to face hers more fully. “Do you want me to?”

In all honesty, Brielle didn’t know what she wanted. She didn’t know why she was playing with fire with a strange man and she had no idea why it was thrilling her. Had to be the alcohol. Maybe it was because she was to the point of not caring about a damn thing. Maybe she just wanted to feel something other than self loath and not being good enough. Whatever the reason, it caused her to set her glass down and turn to the stranger who was emitting a raw sexuality. “Maybe I do.”

A smirk tugged at the corner of his lips and he set his own drink down. “What’s someone like yourself doing wasting your time in a place like this?”

Brielle lifted a brow, giving her own smirk and joining in his game. “Can you suggest anything better?”

“Oh, I can suggest a lot of things that are better. But maybe I should just show you.” He wet his bottom lip and rose from the stool, offering her his hand. “That is, if you think you can keep up.”

“Oh, I can.” She was surprised at herself, but didn’t back down. Chances are, she’d never see this guy again and after her horrible day, maybe in a way she deserved this.

His smirk grew and he helped her from the stool. “Then what are we waiting for?”

“We’re not.” She returned his smirk with one of her own. “C’mon.” She took his hand with both of hers and led him for the door, stepping out into the cool night air and hoping this would hold no regrets.

~*~

Lily stared at her friend, the tale of how she’d gotten herself knocked up swirling in her head. “You picked up a stranger at a bar?” She blinked. “Who are you?”

Brielle gave a heavy sigh and leaned back in her seat. “I don’t know, but I’m paying for it now.” She motioned towards her stomach. “I’m pregnant.”

“Did you get this guy’s number? How ‘bout his name? Did you go back to his place?”

“No,” she shook her head, “all I know is his name is Alex and he took me to a hotel.”

Lily’s eyes nearly bugged out. “A hotel?! Oh my God, Brie, he’s married!”

Brielle blinked at that. “I…no, I don’t think he is.” She shook her head slowly. “He was only in town for a few days and he was staying at the hotel. He didn’t have a ring.”

That seemed to calm her friend. “So, he’s not from New York? You have no way of knowing where he is and you don’t have his number?”

“No,” she sighed and rubbed her forehead, “this looks really bad.”

“That’s because it is. You got knocked up from some one night stand with a complete stranger.”

“You don’t need to remind me; I’m well aware of the situation.”

“I’m sorry.” Lily sighed and sat back, rubbing her forehead. “Are…are you sure you’re pregnant?”

“Oh yes,” Brielle gave a firm nod, “six tests told me I was.”

“Six?”

“Six.”

“Where did you get the money to buy six tests?”

“I didn’t buy ‘em. I went to the clinic and they give ‘em to you for free.”

“Oh.” Her brunette friend watched her. “Did you talk to a doctor?”

Brielle made a face. “No, I saw all six tests had the same outcome, freaked out and left.”

“How far along are you?”

“I don’t know,” she sighed and tried to count back how long it’d been since her sexual exploit, “a couple months?”

Lily nodded some, pushing her unwanted drink to the side. “You need to see a doctor, and you need to know what your options are.”

“I know what my options are.”

“What do you want to do?”

“I don’t know.” She leaned forward and rested her forehead in her hands. “I’m not ready to be a mom; I’m only 21 for pete’s sake. What do I know about raising a child? I can hardly provide for myself let alone someone else.”

The brunette reached over and gave her friend’s shoulder a comforting squeeze. “You don’t have to go through this.”

Brielle lifted her head and met Lily’s gaze. “I don’t know if I could just …get rid of it.”

“I understand. But you really aren’t in the right place right now to have a baby, Brie. You are having a hard time paying your rent, how are you going to buy diapers and formula?”

“I…I don’t know.” She shrugged her friend’s hand away. “But if I keep the baby, I’ll figure something out.” A pause. “I mean, how could I just go and take away the life of someone? Someone growing inside of me? That I’m supposed to protect?”

Lily watched her friend, her heart hurting at what Brielle was going through. “I …I don’t know,” she spoke softly. “There’s always adoption.”

“Oh, just give my baby away?”

“Okay, maybe not.” She detected the annoyance in the blonde’s voice. “No, you know what, yes. Yes, give your baby away. Let someone who is capable of raising it financially and giving it the life that you wouldn’t be able to. That is probably one of the bravest and most wonderful things a young mother, who can’t provide, can do for her child.”

Brielle’s eyes grew teary and she held a hand protectively at her abdomen. “I don’t know if I could do that, Lil.”

“You don’t have too many options, Brie.” She leaned towards her friend. “Whatever you decide, you know that I’ll support you. You know that I’ll do what I can to be there and help you out. But you really need to think about this, think about everything that each decision you make is going to bring to yourself and that baby.”

“I will.” She wiped a stray tear away.

“And in the meantime, we have to get you to a doctor.”

“I can’t afford a doctor.”

“The clinic, my dear. We can take you there tomorrow. Then you can talk to someone who might be able to provide you with the information you need and answer your questions about all your options.”

Brielle watched her friend. “You’ll go with me?”

“Of course.” Lily reached and took her hand. “I’ll do what I can to help you, Brie. You know that.”

She couldn’t help the small grin that tugged at her lips. “I really appreciate that. I don’t know what I’d do if I had to go through this completely alone.”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that. That’s never going to happen.”

~*~*~*~*~

“So, according to my calculations and your last monthly period, I would say you are going into your eighth week of this pregnancy,” the tall, thin and red headed doctor spoke, checking the chart over before turning her gaze back to Brielle. “Which puts your due date,” she glanced to the chart again, “about June 21st.”

“Wow,” the blonde patient breathed out, glancing down to her flat belly. “So, um…everything is okay?” The doctor had just finished the initial exam; doing a thorough check of Brielle, getting her health history and answering any questions she may have about the baby and pregnancy. She had even set aside a few different brochures about the different options that Brielle had to choose from.

“Everything looks good so far.” She closed the folder and set it to the side, swiveling her chair back to her patient. “We don’t normally do sonograms this early, but would you like to hear the heartbeat?”

Brielle’s eyes widened. “You can do that?”

“Of course.” Doctor Harte, as she’d introduced herself, chuckled. “You’ll just need to lie back for me.”

“Can we um…can my friend come back in?” She spoke of Lily who had waited out in the waiting room while Brielle had her physical exam.

“She sure can.” The doctor opened the door and asked the receptionist to show Lily back, then she began setting up the proper equipment she would need.

After a moment, Lily joined the group and took Brielle’s hand, giving it a squeeze. “How’s everything going?”

“Good.” The blonde smiled up at her friend. “She says I’m almost eight weeks and the baby seems okay from what she can tell.”

“Oh, that’s great!”

“Yeah, and we’re going to get to hear the heartbeat.”

“Really?” Lily’s emerald eyes widened and she looked to where Doctor Harte was checking the equipment over.

“Yeah,” Brielle couldn’t help the grin that spread, “really.”

“That’s so exciting.” Lily pulled an empty stool over and sank down onto it, watching as the doctor lifted Brielle’s shirt and pressed the Doppler receiver to her stomach.

“Alright, it may take a few to find the heartbeat.” She began rolling the receiver over her stomach, searching out the baby. “We need to find the location of the fetus first.”

Both girls waited, watching as the doctor searched out the baby. Finally, a faint thudding filtered out over the speakers of the Doppler machine.

“And there we have it,” Doctor Harte announced.

“Ooh,” Brielle muttered softly, her eyes widening at the sound.

Next to her, Lily squeezed her hand. “That’s your baby.”

“My baby.” Tears dotted her eyes and she used her free hand to clear them from her cheeks.

“Is it….supposed to be that fast?” Her friend glanced to the doctor; the sound of the heartbeat a faster than normal thud.

“That’s normal,” Doctor Harte responded. “Fetus heartbeats can range anywhere from 140 to 170 beats per minute.”

Brielle looked to the red headed doctor. “That’s crazy.”

“Well, their hearts beat faster due to the small size; the smaller the heart, the faster it beats. They also breathe faster because their lungs are not developed and that can attribute to the faster heart rate as well.”

“That’s amazing,” Lily breathed softly, wiping at the corners of her eyes.

The expectant mother nodded and sighed softly, just listening to the echoing of the heartbeat throughout the room. “Does…it sound okay?”

Doctor Harte sent her patient a comforting smile. “It sounds wonderful. It’s not too fast and it’s not too slow; it’s just right.”

“Thank God.” She gave her friend’s hand a squeeze and looked down to her tummy. In just a few short months it would start to expand and soon be apparent of her condition. Sure, she was nowhere near ready to have this baby, and she had no idea how she was going to provide for it; but she knew one option that she just couldn’t bring herself to do. She couldn’t get rid of the baby, not after hearing the heartbeat and knowing that the little life forming and growing inside of her was doing well so far. She was the mother, she had to protect and keep the little one safe.

“Are you okay?” Lily’s soft voice broke through her thoughts as the doctor removed the receiver and began putting it away.

Brielle looked to her. “I have to keep this baby,” she managed in an emotional whisper. “I just have to.”

“Okay, honey.” Lily gripped her hand with both of her own. “You do what you need to do. And I’ll do what I can to help you.”

“Thank you.” She cleared her throat and wiped at a few remaining tears. “It’s going to be okay, right?”

Lily smoothed a hand over her friend’s head. “Of course it will be. Everything will work out, Brie, you’ll see.”

Brielle nodded and looked back to her stomach. She hoped Lily was right, because there was another life involved now, not just her own. So there really was no choice; things had to be okay. And she was going to do everything in her power to make sure it did.

Chapter Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it and I've got another chapter done for you. I hope you enjoy and again, I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks again! :)

 

The bell above the door jingled, signaling that someone was entering the small convenience store tucked between a pawn shop and a camera store. Cory Jasper looked up from the People magazine he was rifling through to see Brielle Madison entering. A grin tugged at his lips and he flipped the magazine shut, pushing it to the side. “Hey, Brie.”

“Hi, Cory.” Brielle tugged her thin jacket tighter around her body and shivered. It was an extra chilly day in New York in early December and it was supposed to snow later that night; she wanted to pick up what little she could to take home in case the power went out or something.

“How’s it going?” The curly red headed young man watched her as she scanned the aisles.

“It’s going.” She rubbed her arms and shivered, still feeling the cold despite the warmth from the store.

“Good.” Cory fiddled with the corner of the People magazine, his dark eyes still trained on the blonde. Something about her demeanor wasn’t right; the way she moved, the paleness of her skin, the dark circles under her eyes. Cory normally didn’t befriend the patrons that came and went from the little shop, buying their cigarettes or gossip mags or gallons of milk, but from Brielle’s first visit, he had taken an interest. He’d tried to tell himself it was because she seemed alone and looked like she could use a friend; but something a little deeper inside knew it was because despite her homely clothing and tired eyes, she was a beautiful girl with a good heart, just a bad disposition. So he’d taken it upon himself to help her out when he could, a loaf of bread here a pack of gum there, whatever he could afford to put in the till that would get her what she might need that day.

“Do you have any more of those powdered donuts?”

Cory blinked some and pulled himself from his thoughts, focusing his eyes on Brielle’s tired face. “Just got some in today; I was saving ‘em for you.” He slipped off his stool and disappeared into the back room before returning with a new and unopened pack of miniature powered donuts. The last few weeks, Brielle had taken a strong interest in the sugary sweet and came in every other day or so to sneak a few.

“Thank you, Cory.” She took the pack and set it on the counter then began to rummage through her handbag. “Two dollars, right?”

“On the house today, sweetheart. Save your money.”

Brielle’s blue eyes blinked some. “Are you sure? You’ve been giving me a lot of stuff on the house I…I don’t want you getting in trouble.”

“I’m not. And I’m not stealing the stuff.” He sent her a wink. “It gets paid for.”

“Okay,” she gave a relieved smile and took the donuts, carefully opening the package.

Cory watched her select one of the soft, powdery pastries and take a bite. He waited until she had swallowed the bite before speaking, “Everything okay?”

“Hm?” She wiped the white powder from her fingers and met his gaze.

“Is everything okay? You…seem a little,” he searched for the right word, “off.”

“Oh,” Brielle closed the donut package, “yeah I’m okay. Just been a long day.”

Cory wasn’t sure if he believed her, but he could tell she didn’t want to discuss anything. “Okay, but you know if you ever need anything, I’m here.”

“Thank you, Cory,” she smiled and touched his arm, “I really appreciate that.”

“Anytime kiddo,” he gave her shoulder a gentle hit with his fist in a friendly manner, “there anything else you need? Supposed to be a storm tonight.”

“So I hear,” she scanned the shelves, “I wanted to get some water and maybe some more bread.”

“I can get ‘em for you.”

“Oh, no, you stay and do your job; I want to look around some anyway.” She smiled again then wandered off to the aisle that held the bread and chips.

Cory watched her go then sighed, wondering how she’d react if he asked her to a movie sometime. Before he had the chance to slip from behind the counter and seek her out, one of his regular cigarette patrons came in requesting their brand.

Brielle wandered the aisle, smoothing her fingers over the bags of chips and wondering if she could stretch her money and get just one. The Doritos were on sale two for five or $2.50 a piece. With Cory taking the tab for the donuts she just might be able to pull it off. Selecting a bag of Cool Ranch, she continued on her way to the bread and took her usual loaf. Now, some water and maybe a gallon of milk and she could be on her way. Rent had been due last week and she still didn’t have the total amount, so she needed to make sure to get home and slip into her place before her landlord arrived and got on her case again.

The last few weeks since finding out about this pregnancy had done its toll on the blonde and she was sinking faster than she could swim. Since hearing the heartbeat twelve days ago, Brielle was beginning to question her decision on what to do with the baby. Her heart told her she wanted to keep it, but her head and lack of money was making her see that maybe it wasn’t the best choice. That killed her inside and if she thought about it too much, would reduce her to tears. Eventually she was going to have to tell Lily that adoption might be the best choice, but every time she tried, her throat welled up and the words wouldn’t come.

Forcing those worries from her head, Brielle finished gathering her items and carried them to the counter. “Okay, I think this should be good.”

Cory glanced the items over. “I think this looks good.”

“Okay, how much is it?” Brielle reached for her purse, her gaze catching on the magazine near Cory’s elbow.

“Four bucks,” he replied, skipping over the chips and milk. He’d put the money for those into the register before he closed. Quickly bagging her products, he set them on the counter then turned to her, expecting her to have the money out for him. Instead, she was staring at the magazine he had been looking at minutes earlier. “Brielle?” He frowned at the expression on her face, not sure if it was shock, guilt or if she might be sick. “Brielle?” He gently touched her arm.

“Oh my God,” she breathed out, slowly reaching a hand and pulling the People magazine closer.

“What is it?” He looked to the cover, seeing the cover story was about some Hollywood couple; former Playboy playmate, Kendra Wilkinson and NFL Player, Hank Baskett were welcoming their brand new baby boy.

Brielle gaped at the cover, suddenly jerking and turning her stricken gaze to Cory. “I need this magazine.”

“What?”

“This magazine,” she gave it a shake, “I need it.”

“Oh, um.” He rubbed his head, confused by her odd behavior.

“Cory, please,” she pleaded. “I’ll…I have ten dollars.” Quickly she began to dig for the money.

Something in her eyes and that tone of her voice told him she was serious. “Take it.” He shoved it towards her. “No problem, I can cover it.”

“Are you sure?” She dug a five out and held it towards him. “I…how much were the groceries?”

“Keep your cash.” He shoved the magazine into the bag and pushed it towards her. “Don’t even worry about it.”

Normally, Brielle might have argued that, or left the money on the counter, but she wasn’t thinking too clearly at the moment. “Thank you!” She shoved the cash back into her purse and snapped it shut. “Thank you, Cory, I owe you one.” Then she grabbed up the bag and was out the door before he could even offer a ‘you’re welcome’.

Ten minutes later, Brielle burst into her apartment; barely getting the door shut before she dropped the bag onto the tiny kitchen table and tore the magazine from it. She didn’t even bother putting the milk away. Instead, she dropped down on her worn down, blue fabric sofa and thumbed through the pages until she found the article she was looking for.

With an icy hand gripping her chest, she began to read the words.

AJ McLean is now off the market. That’s right ladies; the ‘bad boy’ of the Backstreet Boys is ready to take that leap and settle down. McLean proposed to his girlfriend, Renee Kemp, Friday night on the stage of the Playboy nightclub in Las Vegas, Nevada, presenting her with a one-carat diamond, princess shaped, platinum ring.

“He got up on the stage and asked her to join him. Then got down on one knee and popped the question.” An eyewitness tells PEOPLE. “She seemed completely shocked and he had to ask her again, before she gave him a yes.”

McLean and Kemp have been dating for eight months and McLean knew he wanted to propose, but wasn’t sure of when until that night.

“It just felt right.” He explained to PEOPLE after the couple began celebrating the new engagement. “I’ve known she was the one from the beginning and something inside me told me tonight is the night, just do it. So I did.”

No word on when the nuptials will take place, but McLean as assured us that they aren’t going to be one of those couples who stays engaged for years and years. “I’m ready to get things going. We have a tour coming up, but we’re not worried. We’ll find the perfect time.”


He was engaged? With trembling hands, Brielle lowered the magazine and stared at the picture. He had had a girlfriend that night nearly ten weeks ago when they’d let their carnal desires show through. Maybe it wasn’t the same guy. He had told her his name was Alex, and this guy was AJ. Studying the picture of the singer, she chewed her cheek, feeling her stomach pitching slowly into her toes. Nope, that was him; those chocolate eyes, the facial hair and there was no mistaking the tattoos.

With a groan, Brielle fell over sideways onto the sofa. The father of her baby was some famous celebrity that had just gotten engaged. She couldn’t believe it. It was like a never ending dream that had taken a turn into a nightmare. Things like this only seemed to happen in the movies and now they were main feature of her life. Why oh why?

“Brielle!”

The pounding on the door jerked her up and she pushed the hair from her face. She’d know the voice of her landlord, Jerry Alman, anywhere.

“Brielle! I know you’re in there! Open up!” He continued to pound, trying the knob but finding it locked.

But she stayed silent, her words caught in the fear in her throat. Now was not a good time for him to come trying to collect rent.

“I’m not taking this anymore, Miss Madison.” He stopped the pounding and now just spoke through the wooden obstacle in their path. “I want you out of here by the end of the week. Don’t make me contact the police.”

Tears gathered in her eyes and she pressed a hand to her mouth, keeping mum and waiting until she knew he had retreated before pulling herself from the sofa. What was she going to do now? A sob rose in her throat and the blonde pushed it away. No, she wasn’t going to cry or wallow. She was strong, she could figure this out.

Tugging her jacket around her trembling body, her hands brushed her stomach and she paused, glancing towards the magazine still on the couch. There really was no other option now. This baby was coming and she had to make things okay for him or her.

Maybe Lily would have an idea or suggestion. Grabbing up the magazine, she tucked it back into the paper bag. And maybe Lily wouldn’t mind a guest for the night either. She was suddenly having a craving for some Rocky Road ice cream. Taking a minute to gather some of her clothes and personal belongings, she packed them into the bag as well and soon was out the door and on her way.

~*~*~*~*~

“Brielle!” Lily exclaimed upon opening the door to her two bedroom apartment in Manhattan and finding her best friend there. But one look at her face and the brown bag in her arms and she knew the blonde was in trouble. “What’s wrong? What happened?” Quickly she ushered her in, taking the bag and helping her from her jacket.

“Mr. Alman is kicking me out of my apartment.”

Lily frowned, a crease line appearing in her forehead. “Oh, Brie,” she reached and took her friend’s arm, guiding her to the black leather couch in her living room, “here, have a seat.”

Brielle sank down, wrapping her arms around her midriff. “What am I going to do?”

She sounded so despondent and Lily couldn’t help but feel sorry for her. “I don’t know, hon, but we’ll figure something out.”

“Yeah,” she sighed and brought her somber eyes to her friend’s, “you think I could crash with you…it’d only be for a few days; until I can find a place again.”

The brunette sighed. She knew her fiancé wasn’t going to be too eager with having Brielle there, but she also knew he wouldn’t object. Besides, how could she turn her best friend away? “You can stay with us, Brie. As long as you need to, okay? No rush.” She squeezed her arm then sat back.

“Thanks.” Brielle rubbed her face then sat back. “You know how I told you I didn’t know the guy who um…got me pregnant?”

“I do.”

“Well,” she fiddled with the hem of her shirt, her eyes on her stomach and not on her friend, “I kinda know who he is.”

“What?” Lily blinked some. “You said it was some stranger.” A pause. “Is it someone we know?”

“Not exactly. And he was a stranger when I met him.” She rose from the couch and tugged her shirt down some before moving into the kitchen and gathering the magazine. Soon she was back, pressing it into Lily’s hands.

The brunette frowned and looked to the cover. “Hank Baskett is your baby’s daddy?”

“No,” Brielle tapped a picture on the side of the cover, “he is.”

Lily blinked, gaping at the small photo. “That…what…are…” she turned her emerald eyes to Brielle, “are you sure? You really must be joking.”

“No joke.” She sank onto the couch and took the magazine back; turning to the correct page and thrusting it once more into Lily’s hands. “AJ McLean, or Alex as he told me, is the father of my child.”

“You really can’t be serious.” Lily scanned the article quickly. “He’s…he just got engaged. Maybe it was someone who looked like him.”

“No one can duplicate those tattoos.” The blonde tapped the picture again, pointing to the obvious ones on his neck. “He has them all over, Lil; on his hands, his arms and his back. It was him; I’m 110% sure of it.”

Lily studied the picture then glanced back to her friend. “Okay, so…you’re having his baby. What do you think you should do?”

“I don’t know,” she tucked her hair behind her ears, “probably nothing. I mean…he just got engaged and he’s living his own life. The last thing he needs is some nearly homeless girl calling him up claiming to be having his child.”

“But, you’re not claiming; you really are.”

“He won’t see it that way. You know no one will believe me. They’ll just think I’m some poor girl trying to strike it rich.”

Lily tossed the magazine to the side. “Who cares what anyone else thinks.”

“Lily, he’ll think that too.”

“Not after you do a DNA test.”

“And wait until after the baby is born?”

“Hm, no I think they can do them before too. I think it’s like the amniocentesis.”

“Oh,” Brielle rubbed her head, “I don’t know, Lily. It’s probably best we just keep it to ourselves. The last thing he needs is some kind of scandal.”

Lily frowned. “I think that man has a right to know that he has helped to bring a child into the world. You can’t keep something like that from someone; it’s not right.”

“Oh, and what do you propose I do? Just call him up; hey, Alex…remember me? I was the chick you picked up in that seedy bar in New York back in October. Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m having your kid.” She ran her fingers through her hair, retucking it behind her ears once more. “He’ll laugh so hard then hang up the phone. Besides,” a shrug, “I would have no idea how to get in touch with him anyway. Celebrities are just a little hard for the common Joe to track down.”

“Do you even hear yourself, Brielle? Seriously?” Her friend shook her head in frustration. “He is the father of your baby. You are sinking here, Brie and I know you don’t want to hear that, but you are. You have no job, you just lost your apartment; you’re getting by only by the skin of your teeth. Just maybe, he could help you out there. He could offer your child what you can’t. Besides, maybe he would want to know. Have you considered that?”

“And what if he doesn’t?” She counteracted with. “What if he tells me to get lost and never contact him again? Sure, a test will prove it’s his child, but if he wants nothing to do with it, then there’s nothing I can do. I don’t want to get my hopes up like that.”

Lily pushed herself up from the couch. “Maybe he would. You won’t know until you try.”

“I’m not going to interrupt that man’s life to tell him I’m having his child.”

“You are so helpless.” Her friend glared at her. “You know it’s the right thing to do, Brielle; on every single level. And if he wants nothing to do with you, then you take him to court.”

“And look like some money hungry slut?”

“Brielle!” She clenched her hands into fists.

“Look,” the blonde stood from the couch as well, “I know that you care about me and you care about this baby and what happens, but this is just something I’m not going to tangle with. He has a life of his own, he just got engaged and the article says they have some tour coming up. I am not going to interrupt his life. I know you don’t agree with it, but it’s my life and my decision.”

Lily took a moment and counted to ten, her voice calmed down considerably. “Brie, I love you and you’re right, I don’t agree. But it’s not just your life anymore,” her eyes searched her friend’s face, “it’s that baby’s life too. Please don’t make some rash decision now that will affect that child’s life forever.”

Brielle sighed and rubbed her eyes; she knew the brunette was right. “Can I at least think about it?”

“Sure, long as you’re really thinking and not just saying that.”

“I’ll seriously think about it.” She cast her eyes to the magazine once more.

“Thank you.” Lily squeezed her arm then pulled back. “Okay, how ‘bout some ice cream or something? We could order a movie from Netflix and watch that while we eat.”

She smiled and smoothed a hand over her belly, noting the very slight paunch in it. “I’d actually love some ice cream. Do you have any Rocky Road?”

“Coming right up.” Lily disappeared into the kitchen. “One scoop or two?”

“Two,” she called back before grabbing the fallen magazine up. Studying the picture for a moment, a twinge appeared in her stomach. “Bleh.” She flipped it shut then tucked it under the pile of Bridal magazines Lily had on the coffee table. The movie would take her mind off things for a couple hours. And then she didn’t know what she would do.

~*~*~*~*~

“Something on your mind?”

Lily Hunt looked up from the computer screen to see her fiancé, Jordan Travor, standing in the doorway of the small office that sat off the living room. “You could say that.” She sighed and sank back into the seat, pushing the chair to turn more towards Jordan.

“What’s going on?” The sandy blond haired man with a chiseled jaw and piercing blue eyes pushed himself from the doorframe and entered the room.

Lily cast her gaze towards the living room. “Where’s Brie?”

“She’s taking a bath.” He approached her chair and smoothed his hands to her shoulders, massaging them in a gentle gesture. “What are you looking at?”

The brunette turned back to the computer screen. “Just some stuff.”

Jordan leaned over some to see the screen. “Who is that?”

Lily sighed and maneuvered the mouse around some. “Brie’s baby’s daddy.”

“Say what?” He peered to the screen.

“Yeah, he’s some celebrity; imagine that.”

Jordan blinked some and studied the picture of the celebrity, posing on some red carpet with a backdrop covered in brand names behind him. “How…what…”

Lily chuckled low. “Yeah, apparently the stranger she picked up in the bar, was some celebrity. And get this,” she lifted her browed and watched her fiancé, “he just got engaged.”

“Wow,” the handsome man leaned back against the desk, “that’s some news. Is she sure he’s the father?”

“She said she was,” she gave a shrug, “said she knows it was him and recognized all the tattoos.”

He tilted his head some. “What’s she gonna do?”

“Nothing.” A frown creased the pretty brunette’s brow. “She said she doesn’t want to disrupt his life with the news of the baby and that he’d probably never believe her anyway.”

“Well, he’s a celebrity, I’m sure they go through this kind of thing a lot with someone trying to get a dollar out of them quite often.”

“I know, but if he really is the father, then a test will prove that.”

“Sweetheart, just because someone is the biological father, doesn’t make them the dad necessarily.” He smoothed his fingers through her hair.

Lily made a face. “It makes them legally responsible and he would have to pay child support. Brie really needs something good right now.”

“I know she does,” he leaned over and kissed his fiancée’s head, “but going after the guy just because he has money is not the right thing to do.” A pause. “Is that what you think she should do?”

“Not at all.” She shook her head and turned the chair to face him. “I just think he has a right to know that he’s going to have a child. What he decides to do after that is his own decision. But what kind of person hides the fact that they’re having someone’s baby from them?”

Jordan rubbed his jaw. “In a normal situation I would agree, but this is far from normal; the guy is some kind of celebrity and it was a one night stand. It’s not like she’s purposely hiding it.”

“I know,” she sighed and stared at the screen of her computer, “I just think he needs to know now instead of waiting eighteen years and the child goes to find him. All that’s going to do is cause resentment between everyone.”

“Well,” he sighed and studied the picture for a moment before turning his gaze to his fiancée, “we can’t force Brie to do anything she doesn’t want to.”

“I know.” Lily fiddled with the mouse, drawing her lip into her mouth some.

Jordan knew that look and cocked a brow. “What?”

“I…um….nothing,” she shook her head, exiting the browser, “nothing at all; just thinking.”

“Uh huh, with your ‘I’m concocting a plan’ expression.”

Lily balked, “I have no such expression.”

He chuckled and took her hand, drawing her up from the chair. “Oh yes you do, and whatever it is you’re thinking, don’t. Just let Brie handle this however she wishes and be the friend she needs.”

“I’ll try.” She let Jordan lead her from the room, casting a wistful glance back towards the computer. But no promises.

Chapter Three by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks guys for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Hope you enjoy this next chp. The story's gonna be taking an interesting twist soon so stay tuned! :)

 

Alex McLean blew a plume of smoke toward the ceiling. He watched it swirl its way upward before dissipating then sighed and rubbed his eyes, careful not to let the cigarette tucked between his fingers fall into the blankets on the bed he was stretched out on. Next to him, his new fiancée, Renee Kemp, slept peacefully, the covers strewn haphazardly over her thin, naked form. Her back was to him and he could see the tattoo that etched its way from the base of her spine up to her neck. Rather distasteful some might say; pure genius he thought.

Renee, was a one of a kind girl that he had been dating for almost nine months. They had met at a tattoo parlor and immediately hit it off. Her love of ink and piercings had been an instant turn on for him and how well they got along and their taste in music and past time activities had only drawn them closer. Things had slowly been growing serious between the two and then one day, completely out of the blue, Alex thought he should propose. So he’d bought a ring and popped the question. In all honesty, he was sure she’d say no, that it hadn’t been long enough and they needed more time, but much to everyone’s surprise, including himself, she’d told him yes.

He was pretty confident that he wanted to marry Renee. He loved her and he could see a future for the two of them. He felt it had been the right thing to do, afterall, he was getting older every day and getting married and settling down in a house as a family with children was always something he longed for. Most of his friends were married with kids and he knew it was his time now. It was just too bad that not everyone saw the same thing. His mother had been none too pleased with the announcement and she had let him know it too. They hadn’t talked in nearly two weeks. Not to mention the few friends who disagreed with his decision and the backlash from some of the fans.

But it was his life, and he’d be damned if someone else was going to tell him how to run it; he was going to marry Renee and that was that. His mom would hopefully come around and the fans, well eventually they’d realize that he truly loved her and come to support their union, as for the friends that disagreed? If they didn’t ever change their minds then he’d just find new ones. He was good like that.

Snuffing the butt of his cigarette out, Alex pushed the covers off him and rose from the bed. It was nearly noon and he hadn’t had his coffee yet. Normally he didn’t wait this long to brew up a pot, but the newly engaged couple hadn’t crashed until five am. And from Renee’s unmoving body as he stirred, she’d probably sleep another hour or two.

Pulling on some fresh lounge pants, Alex gathered his cigarettes and lighter and quietly slipped from the room. He made his way downstairs and into the kitchen then went about setting up the coffee pot to brew some fresh, hot coffee. Letting it brew, he sank down onto a stool at the counter and rifled through yesterday’s mail. Nothing of importance and just a few bills he would pass on to his accountant. Gathering the junk mail, he slipped from the stool just as the phone rang. Tossing it back onto the counter, he scooped up the phone and made a move to the cabinet to collect a coffee mug.

“Hello?”

“Alex?”

“Mom.” Her voice made him pause and he glanced towards the receiver. This was a surprise.

“How are you?”

“I’m okay.” His eyes shifted to the phone again. “Is something wrong?”

“I’m not sure yet.” Her voice carried an uncertain tone.

Alex forgot about the mug. “What’s wrong? Are you okay? Is it Tony?”

“Oh, no, we’re both fine, honey. I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Oh, good.” He rubbed his head, hoping she wasn’t calling to persuade him out of a marriage with Renee.

“I um,” she sounded hesitant.

“Mom,” Alex rubbed the bridge of his nose, “if this is about Renee, please don’t start.”

“This isn’t about Renee,” she suddenly snapped. “Not everything is, you know.”

Touché and not to mention, rarr. “Okay, point taken.” He wasn’t sure if he wanted to ask her what it was about for fear of her reaction.

“I’m sorry,” Denise Solis sighed through the line. “I wasn’t…I wasn’t sure if I should even call you, but…well, I’m your mother.”

Alex glanced to the telephone. “What is it, Ma?”

There was a pause then Denise spoke again, “Were you in New York at the end of September?”

His brows drew together. “What’s that got to do with anything?”

“Were you? It’s important.”

He frowned and rubbed his jaw, rethinking back the previous weeks. “I think it was the end of September. I had some meetings for my album.”

“Did you um…” she hesitated, “Alex, did you sleep with anyone while you were there?”

Alex’s frown deepened. “What is this about?”

“Did you?”

“What does that have to do with anything, Mom? What I do in my private life really isn’t any of your business.”

“Don’t I know that,” she responded with.

He sighed, not in the mood to have this conversation with her. “What was it you needed?”

“I got an email in my Facebook concerning you and your indiscretions; particularly one you had in New York.”

“What?” He frowned.

“Uh huh, do you know a Brielle Madison?”

“Brielle Madison? Am I supposed to?”

“According to this email you should.”

Brielle Madison? He thought back over the few days he was in the city, trying to remember anyone he met named Brielle. “Mom, that name doesn’t sound familiar.”

“It doesn’t? So, she wasn’t your one night stand?”

“My what?” He nearly pulled the phone from his ear to check it over and make sure he had heard his mother correctly.

“You heard me; some girl you picked up in a bar. Apparently, you paid her bar tab and I guess she repaid you.”

Alex frowned and opened his mouth to respond when the hazy fog shrouding his memory lifted and it came clear as day. Brielle Madison; a name and a girl he could never forget.

~*~

“How often do you do this?”

Alex glanced over to the blonde girl that was strewn across the bed, the covers hiding her naked form. “What? Smoke a cigarette?” He motioned towards the cigarette between his thumb and finger before inhaling the calming smoke and letting it exhale out slowly.

“No,” she chuckled and shifted to her side, facing him, propping her head up with her hand, “pick up girls in bars.”

“Oh,” he reached to the ashtray on the nightstand and flicked his ashes then turned back to her, “not as often as I used to. You let guys pick you up often?”

“No,” she shook her head, “you’re actually the first guy I’ve been with in…well, in a really long time.”

Alex gave a nod and studied her, noting the blush that crept across her cheeks at that confession. He rubbed his chest and drew the conversation away from something that might embarrass her. “Do I look like the kind of guy to pick up a different girl each night?”

“Not at all, but your sexual appetite is voracious.” She giggled low. “I mean, three times already.”

Alex couldn’t help the slow smirk that inched over his face. “Care to make it four?”

“It’s very tempting.” Brielle sighed and turned over to her back, her blonde hair fanning out over the sheet.

“Something wrong?” The tattooed man snubbed the cigarette out and shifted to his side to face her. “You not enjoying yourself?”

“Quite the opposite.” She sent him a dazzling grin. “I’m enjoying myself so greatly that the thought of going back to the real world, so to say, is quite discerning.”

“Well,” he reached and slipped his hand under the blankets, tickling his fingers over her bare hip, “I’m glad you appreciate my skills.”

She jerked and gave a laugh. “Oh I am, but it’s also nice to feel appreciated and wanted by someone, if even momentarily.”

Alex stilled his hand, resting it on her warm skin. “I suppose that’s true.”

“Thank you.” Her striking eyes met his sensitive ones.

“For making you feel wanted?”

“And for making me feel something other than despair and self loathing.”

“You’re not in a very good place in your life, are you?”

Brielle shook her head. “No, my dreams were smashed to smithereens today. My life has completely fallen apart around me and there’s not a thing left to count on anymore.”

Alex’s dark eyes searched hers and he reached and brushed a lock of hair from her face. “I was always taught that when one door closes, a window opens.”

“There aren’t any doors or windows left.”

“Ouch.”

She sighed and stared up at the ceiling. “I don’t know why I bother anymore. Nothing’s ever good enough.”

The touched something inside the dark haired man and he shifted to his own back, mirroring her gaze at the ceiling. “I’ve been there many times in my life.”

“I just don’t know what to do to fix it.” She turned her head toward his. “What did you do?”

“Nothing.” He hesitated, but something inside prompted him to continue, “You want to feel appreciated and wanted and I want to feel truly loved.”

“You aren’t loved?”

“Not on the level that I want.” He shook his head then caught her face in his gaze. “I’m loved for the wrong reasons by the wrong people. It’s hard to know who my real friends are and who the users and leeches are.”

“That must be tough.”

“It is.” Alex didn’t know why he was revealing this to her when he hardly even revealed it to himself, but there was something about her that made it feel safe to speak freely. “And most the time I get caught up in all the fakeness and end up used, abused and burnt.”

Brielle reached over and smoothed her fingers over the curve of his jaw, the hair from his beard tickling her finger. “Sometimes it’s nice to just forget all that.”

He reached up and caught her hand in his, bringing it to his mouth and placing a soft kiss to her palm before speaking again, “It really is.”

“I-” she hesitated and wet her bottom lip before continuing, “I know that we don’t know each other, but tonight has been the first night in a long, long time that I’ve really felt…alive, I guess you could say.” Her cheeks tinged and she slowly withdrew her hand from his grasp.

“Hey,” he reached out and caught it again, pulling it to his chest and holding it there, “I know how you feel and I think tonight has been one of the first nights in a long time that I’ve not worried about why someone seemed interested in me or what they could get out of the deal.”

“Just some good lovin’.” She chuckled low.

He drew her closer. “Some very good lovin’.” Alex couldn’t deny the physical attraction and electricity that crackled between them. There was an intensity and passion they had both felt during their intimate moments together and while he knew it was wrong, he found himself drawn to her more than he’d been drawn to his girlfriend. And now the vulnerability she had expressed that so mimicked his own was causing a need inside of him that at that moment could only be squelched with her warm body against his moving with his own; this time in a slow, hot, raw and smoldering kind of way.

“Mmm, are you wanting to go for a fourth?” She smoothed a hand over his side and met his gaze.

“Oh yeah,” his voice dropped an octave and he shifted her body over his own, “and then maybe a fifth. Who knows, play your cards right and we might even get a sixth before the night is through.”

Brielle lifted her head. “Ooh, you really think so?”

“I sure hope so.” He shifted and quickly flipped her to her back, rising above her. “But we’ll see how things go.”

~*~

“Alex? Alex, are you still there?”

Denise’s voice rang in his ear and he shook his head to clear the daze that had come over him. “Sorry, yes I’m still here.”

“So, you don’t know who this Brielle Madison is.”

“Um, actually…I do, Mom. I know exactly who she is.” He rubbed the back of his head, wondering how his mother knew about her, or she about his mom. He had been overly sure she had no idea who he was during their night together.

“I was afraid you would.” Denise sighed and he could just imagine the look on her face.

“What’s going on? Did she send you the message? What was it about?”

There was a pause before his mother spoke again, “Actually, a friend of hers sent it. She said that Brielle has no idea she contacted me, but she felt it was the right thing to do.”

Alex felt his heart start to beat a tad faster. “What…what’s going on?”

“Well, now mind you, we don’t know if this is true, or if she and this Brielle are even correct in their assumptions, but…” Denise paused again.

“Ma,” Alex felt like he was teetering on the edge of a cliff with the way his mother was building this up, “just tell me!”

“Brielle is pregnant, honey. And her friend, Lily, says the baby is yours.”

He blinked, feeling the blood draining from his face. “Uh…wh…wh…” the words wouldn’t come.

“Of course, this could just be someone trying to extort money from you, or just a wrong claim, but I thought it was something that should be brought to your attention. We’ll definitely have a DNA test done, if she’s really pregnant.”

But Alex couldn’t respond; his heart had slid right down to his toes, there was a loud pounding in his ears and he felt like he was about to throw up.

“Alex?” Denise’s voice came through the line. “Honey, are you okay?”

“I…I…I need to sit down.” He swallowed hard then started to sit right there on the floor, catching himself just in time to move to a stool.

“Oh, sweetheart, please don’t put any stake in this. I’m sure you’re not the father.”

“I um,” his pulse was racing so hard and fast it throbbed in his neck, “um…I…”

Denise was quiet for a moment. “We’ll get in touch with your lawyer and make sure this girl is indeed pregnant, first.”

“Mom…” he choked the words out.

But she didn’t appear to hear him. “Then if she really is, we’ll order a DNA test as soon as possible.”

Alex wiped a hand across his brow. “…Mom…”

“Of course, we’ll have to keep all this mum so the press doesn’t catch wind; that’s the la-”

“Mom!” He interrupted her, a frown creasing his brow.

“What?” She sounded surprised by the outburst. “What’s wrong?”

“I…I need to think a second, please just be quiet.” He rubbed his forehead and squeezed his eyes shut tight.

Denise fell silent and Alex leaned over the counter, his mind still reeling and his pulse racing in the vein in his neck. Was she really pregnant? How had she found him? They hadn’t exchanged numbers or even last names. This couldn’t really be happening to him, not now. What would Renee do when she found out? He glanced towards the back staircase, feeling his stomach do a twist at that thought. But this wasn’t something he could ignore. If he went about his business and tried then it could have great repercussions and who knows what might happen if the press found out; which he thought they might if he brushed it to the side. But if he faced it head on….well, he’d just gotten engaged and was planning a future with his fiancée.

“Alex…” Denise spoke hesitantly.

He ran a hand over his face and sat up fully. Somehow, he knew this wasn’t some hoax and something was telling him it wasn’t a ploy to take his money. He’d always told himself that when he did have children, he was going to be there for them every step of the way. He wasn’t going to be his own dead beat dad, who had taken off when he was a small boy, then after he became successful tried time after time to come back into his life. But Alex knew his game and hadn’t let him weasel his way back in.

“Um…I don’t think this girl is lying, Mom.” His mouth felt incredibly dry and he pushed from the stool and moved to the counter he’d set the coffee mug down on. Grabbing it up he poured himself some of the fresh, hot coffee.

“You think she’s really pregnant?”

“I do.”

“And it’s yours?”

He sighed and stared into the dark liquid inside his mug. “I…um…I think there’s a good chance it is.”

“But it might not be.”

“No, Mom, it might not be, but I think there’s a better chance that it is.” He frowned some at her attitude, knowing she was just trying to protect him and his reputation, but finding it slightly annoying all the same.

She sighed. “So, what are you going to do? You’re still going to do a test, right?”

He rubbed his forehead. “Probably, but I’m not going to go into the situation demanding one. I…” he wet his bottom lip, “I need to talk to her first.”

“Alright,” Denise relented. “I’ll email you this girl’s email and phone number right now. You can get in touch with her and she can connect you to Brielle.” A pause. “That is, if you don’t already have her phone number.”

“Thank you, Mom.” He ignored her last comment.

“You’re welcome, Son.”

He glanced toward the phone. “I’ll…call you later, okay?”

“You better. You better keep me updated on this.”

“I will.” He chuckled low and thanked her for calling then finally hung up. Shit. Was this really happening?

“Was that your mom?”

Alex whirled to find Renee sashaying in the room, her deep red, thigh length, silk robe belted loosely at the waist.

“Um…” He cleared his throat, wondering how much she had heard and praying that it wasn’t everything. “Yeah, she…called.”

Renee lifted a perfectly manicured, dark brow. “Imagine that. She must want something.” She stood on her toes and took down a mug from the cabinet, reaching for the coffee pot and pouring herself some of the hot beverage.

“No,” he took up his own mug again, “she was just calling to see how we were doing.”

“What’d you tell her?” Renee faced him, leaning back against the counter and bringing the porcelain mug to her full, rosy lips.

Alex shrugged. “That things were fine.”

“Just fine?”

“You know my mom. She doesn’t really care to hear all the details of our relationship.”

“Heh, specially considering she hates my guts,” Renee scoffed.

“She doesn’t hate your guts.”

Her manicured brow lifted again, those piercing green eyes narrowing some. “She sure as hell does. Today’s the first time you’ve talked to her in weeks.”

“She just thinks we’re rushing into things.” He set his mug down and pulled open a cabinet, searching through the food boxes for something appealing to eat.

Renee frowned. “Since when are you on her side? You don’t think we’re rushing things and I don’t think we’re rushing things.”

“Baby,” he pulled out a box of granola bars, “I didn’t say I agreed with her.”

“You act like you do.”

Alex blinked and watched her, caught off guard by her attitude. “How do I act like I do?”

“You’re defending her.” She waved a hand and frowned at him then set her mug roughly down on the counter.

He wasn’t sure where this reaction was coming from and was wondering if she might have overheard their conversation. That’s the last thing he needed at the moment. He wanted to talk to Brielle first and find out what was going on before admitting to his fiancée that he had been unfaithful and now might be fathering a child. All Hell was sure to break loose and she hadn’t flown off the handle yet so maybe she didn’t know what was going on. He hoped that was the case.

“Baby,” he moved over and took her hand in his, lifting it to his mouth and kissing her knuckles, “I’m not trying to defend my mother. I don’t think we’re moving too fast or making the wrong decisions.”

Her body relaxed as her bold green eyes met his sensitive brown orbs. “No?”

He shook his head then set the granola box down and smoothed his fingers through her silky ebony locks. “No.”

“Good.” A slight smile curled her pouty lips. “Me either.”

“Good.” Alex grinned then kissed her softly then once again before pulling back. “You know what I think you should do today?”

Renee tilted her head and smoothed a hand up over his bare chest to his shoulder. “Take you back upstairs with me?”

He chuckled low. “That wasn’t what I had in mind.”

“Ooh,” she gently pushed him back from her some, their fingers still intertwined, “then what exactly did you have in mind?”

“I thought that I could take you out; we could have some lunch and maybe check out the boardwalk or do some shopping.”

Renee’s eyes lit up at that. “You know how much I love spending money.”

Alex chuckled then gave her thigh a pat. “Okay, go on upstairs and I’ll be up in a few. I have some emails I need to send first.”

“Okay, but don’t take too long.” She smoothed a hand down over his chest towards the waistband of his lounge pants. “There are a few ideas of my own I wanted to try out and it requires both of us and complete nakedness.”

“Ooh, I’ll try not to.” He gave her hand a squeeze then released her and watched her saunter from the room. With a sigh, he grabbed up his coffee mug. Sex was honestly the last thing on his mind at the moment. He’d just found out he might be having a child and the idea of being intimate and risking a chance of procreating once again was not something he wanted to gamble with. But he couldn’t swear off it completely; not only was it something he thoroughly enjoyed, but Renee would definitely know something was up. And he couldn’t have that.

With those thoughts on his mind, he started for his office. Maybe if he took long enough, she’d shower and get dressed without him. He could blame it on some important work emails or even phone calls and she’d be none the wiser. Renee really had no interest in his career or even anything dealing with his music. The first time one of his girlfriends hadn’t wanted to be involved in that department. Maybe that was one of the reasons he’d been so drawn to her in the first place; her blatant disinterest in the subject. Whatever the case, he hoped this would be a good cover for him and while she was showering alone, he’d be trying to figure out what his first move with Brielle should be. Oy Vey.

Chapter Four by summer
Author's Notes:

Thank you to everyone who is reading this fic and thank you to those who are leaving feedback! Ya'll have been so wonderful it's motivated me to write more so I can update faster! I hope you enjoy this chapter and please, let me know what you think. Thanks again!

 

Brielle jiggled the key to her friend’s apartment as she undid the lock and pushed the door open. It’d been another hellish day of job searching; there was nothing for her out there. The only opportunity had been a drive thru operator at a greasy fast food joint and she just hadn’t been able to accept the position. Not only did the restaurant smell like sweaty feet, but she thought she’d seen a rat in the corner. She’d also nearly lost her lunch as a severe case of morning sickness had set itself in.

She had managed to get lucky with only getting sick a few times; but when it hit her it hit her and she would hardly be able to move from the bathroom floor of Lily’s apartment. And right now her stomach was churning and she knew it’d be another night spent by the toilet bowl. Then she’d have to force herself to head out again tomorrow to hunt down some more jobs. She really needed to find something soon, Lily and Jordan had been so sweet to let her stay, but it’d been nearly two weeks now and she was as ready as they were to get out of there. They were trying to plan a wedding and the last thing either of them needed was a homeless girl hanging around.

Moving into the apartment, the sullen blonde closed the door behind her and tossed the keys onto the table. Not only was she sick to her stomach, but her feet were sore and she was exhausted. Lily had brought home a pregnancy book the other day and Brielle had just started reading through it. So far, she was definitely feeling the symptoms of the first trimester. She’d also started tracking the days and weeks on an extra calendar her friend had and today would be the middle of her eleventh week. Hopefully the morning sickness would die down, but would only be replaced with lower back aches, uncontrollable bladder and shortness of breath. And she didn’t even want to think about how she would afford maternity clothes when her stomach really started to fill out. At the time, she got by with using a rubberband to hold the button of her pants so they wouldn’t fall, unfortunately they didn’t make them any bigger once she really started to show.

“Brie? Is that you?” Lily appeared in the doorway of the foyer. She frowned at the sight of her friend and moved closer. “Are you okay?”

Brielle faked a grin. “Yeah, I’m okay, just tired. And I had the worst interview at this greasy fast food place,” she shuddered at the thought, “I think I need a shower.”

“Aww, honey, you can take one in just a minute, first,” she took her friend’s hand, “there’s someone here waiting for you.”

The blonde blinked. “What? Who?”

Lily couldn’t help the grin that tugged at her lips. “He’s in the living room, come see.”

“He?” She stayed in her place when the brunette tried to tug her with her. “Who’s in there, Lily?”

“Come in and see for yourself.”

Brielle frowned some and glanced towards the archway that led into the living room. There wasn’t a single person she could think of who would be coming to visit her. The only guys she really even talked to were Jordan and Cory from the convenience store, but he didn’t even know who Lily was or where she lived. “Why can’t you just tell me?” She turned her tired blue eyes back to her bestie.

Lily sighed. “Because, I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Oh my gosh,” she looked towards the archway again then back to the other female, “it’s not Eric, is it?” The idea of her ex boyfriend showing up at her doorstep had gone repeatedly through her mind ever since she left home, but the idea of it being a reality really scared Brielle.

“Eric?” Lily frowned some. “No, it’s not Eric. Just please, come see.” She sighed and gave her friend’s hand a tug.

Brielle’s shoulders sagged in defeat. “Alright, I’ll come see who it is, but then can I take a nice, hot shower? Ooh, maybe a bath instead.”

“Yes, yes, you can take a shower, a bath or both after. Now, c’mon.” And she led her friend through the archway and towards the decorative living room.

The blonde followed along, wondering who it would be that had come to see her, but too tired to put much thought or worry into it. If she hadn’t been pregnant, Brielle might think Lily was trying to set her up with someone, but she knew her friend wouldn’t thrust her into that situation with the situation she was already dealing with.

“Okay, who am I supposed to be seeing?” She questioned as they entered the room, but then stopped short and gaped at the figure standing before the fireplace. He was dressed in some casual jeans and a plain black tee that clung to his body showing off his firm features. A pair of dark sunglasses hung from the collar of his shirt and he had his hands shoved nervously into his pockets. She recognized the tattoos instantly and then the rest of him and her stomach took a dive right into her shoes.

With eyes as big as saucers, she turned to her friend. “Wh…what is he doing here?”

Lily sent her a guilty grin and shrugged.

Brielle frowned. “Lily…”

“Lily didn’t do anything wrong,” Alex spoke up.

The blonde turned her eyes back to him. “She didn’t? Then how did you just happen to show up here?”

He shrugged some. “I…wanted to see you.”

Her eyes narrowed.

He sighed and pulled his hands from his pockets. “She was only trying to help.”

“I told her I didn’t need any help.”

“Well, it kinda looks like you do.” He lifted his brows and watched her with those eyes that had a horrible habit of drawing her too far in last time they were together.

“Look,” Lily spoke up, taking a step closer, “I’m sorry if you think I overstepped my boundary, but you really need some help, Brie, and he has a right to know that he’s going to be a father.”

Brielle thought she was having a mini heart attack. She whirled on her friend. “He knows!?”

She flinched. “…Yes.”

“I cannot believe you went behind my back and told him!” The anger was starting to boil up and her hands balled into fists. “I specifically told you it was my decision and you flat out ignored me and went behind my back to tell him!” A pause. “How the hell did you even find him?”

She sighed some and rubbed the back of her neck. “I did some research and found his mom on Facebook.”

Brielle grabbed for the nearest sturdy object, feeling her head growing light. “His…his mom knows?”

“Well, I had to get her attention.”

She tried to stand right, but the room was slowly tilting. “Lily…you know,” a weird pressure was filling her head, “that I didn’t want,” tiny black spots began to dance before her eyes and she wavered, “to tell-” and then she was going down, her knees buckling and collapsing face forward to the floor.

“Shit!” Alex lunged for her, grabbing her arm and keeping her head from bonking against the wood floor. “Brielle,” he shifted and cradled her head in his lap, gently patting her cheek, “Brielle, baby, can you hear me?”

“Oh my God!” Lily crouched down next to them. “Is she okay? Is she breathing? Should I call 911?”

“Yes,” he instructed as he gently gave her shoulder a shake, trying to rouse her. “And bring a cool cloth.”

Lily nodded and scrambled for the kitchen to do so, her heart hammering against her chest. She had no idea Brie would have reacted that way, she seriously thought her friend would have been shocked, but happy that he was here. He hadn’t said anything negative in their phone conversation and had immediately agreed to fly out and see the blonde. And when Lily had said that Brie had insisted it was his baby, Alex hadn’t even argued that it wasn’t. He seemed to be manning up and taking charge of the situation like she had hoped he would. And now, her friend had gotten so angry with her that she had passed out. If anything happened to her or that baby, Lily would never forgive herself.

Returning with the cool cloth and instructing the 911 operator on the quickest way to get to the building, Lily crouched by her friend, fear trickling through her veins at the sight of the blonde still unresponsive. She urged the paramedics to hurry then tossed the phone to the side, kneeling over Brielle. “Brie, can you hear me?”

“She’s out.” Alex pressed the damp cloth to her cheeks then her neck. “But she’s breathing. I think she just fainted.”

“What if something’s wrong with the baby?” Fear laced Lily’s words and she grabbed her friend’s hand. “This is all my fault.”

“Shh, don’t say that,” he instructed, glancing to her then back to the girl who had sent his world rocking with her news.

Lily bit her bottom lip and stared helplessly at her friend. She breathed a huge sigh of relief when the paramedics arrived a short time later and Brie slowly started to come around. They checked her blood pressure then loaded her up in the ambulance and jetted off to the hospital, despite the blonde’s weak attempts to stop them. Lily wanted to ride with them, but knew Alex didn’t have a way to the hospital, so she let him drive her car and called her fiancé on the way, thanking him when he agreed to meet them there.

It was all a blur to the tattooed man; from the minute Brielle had walked into the apartment up till the minute he was pacing back and forth in the waiting room. He hadn’t expected her to react the way she had, and when she’d exploded, he had honestly wanted to tuck his tail between his legs and take off running. She obviously didn’t want him involved and who was he to just barge in on someone’s life like that. He didn’t know this girl, save for the one single night they spent together. It would be easy to just turn and walk away. Just like his dad had done. Fuck. He could really use a drink right now.

He rubbed his head and gave a frustrated sigh. And now here he was in a hospital waiting room with complete strangers waiting on news about the woman having his child. His child. Could he really be having a baby right now? Was this seriously happening or some kind of weird dream? A week ago his biggest worry had been what kind of china patterns his fiancée was trying to decide on and now it was on the fate of this unborn child. His unborn child. He knew it was his, he knew they hadn’t exactly played in safe during their time together. And now his karma was rearing its ugly head and smacking him over and over in the face. Life was a nasty little bitch and he had one hell of a headache. Damn, he could use a drink.

“Alex?”

The soft, feminine voice cut through his thoughts and he jerked some, turning to find the big, green eyes of Lily at his elbow. “Yeah?”

She bit her bottom lip and fiddled with the hem of her shirt. “Are you okay?”

That was a very loaded question, but what other than yes could he say to this woman. Alex opened his mouth to reply, finding his throat squeezing tight on him and forcing him to nod his head.

Lily gave her own nod and glanced off then back to him again. “Um…I’m sorry about all this.”

“It’s,” he forced his words out, “um, it’s okay.”

“No, I shouldn’t have gone behind her back like that. She asked me to let her make the decisions and I didn’t.”

Alex ran a hand over his face and watched the petite brunette. “You did what you thought was right.”

“Yeah.” She sighed and hugged herself. “I just…I didn’t want this baby growing up and wondering why his father never called him or sent him a birthday card.”

“I get that, I really do.” More than she would probably ever know.

Lily nodded again and glanced off then back to him. “I hope you can forgive me for dragging you into this and making it a big, hot mess.”

He couldn’t be upset with her, she had only been doing what she thought was the best for everyone. “Hey, you don’t have to apologize to me. You’re okay in my book.”

Lily looked like she wanted to say something else, but the doctor decided to make an appearance.

“How is she?” She threw at him the minute he located the proper group and they gathered around him.

The doctor, who had a head full of salt and peppery hair and brown eyes shrouded with wire rimmed frames, scanned over the clipboard in his hand then looked towards Alex, Lily and Jordan. “Are you family?”

Lily bit her bottom lip. “Technically?”

“Yes, technically. We have a policy against giving information to people who are not related.”

She frowned. “But, she has no family like that. We are her family.”

“Um,” Alex cleared his throat, “would it help to know that I’m the father of her baby?”

The doctor lifted a brow. “That would help very much.” He nodded and tapped the clipboard against the palm of his hand. “Miss Madison was brought in with dehydration and exhaustion. Under normal circumstances, we would administer fluids and observe her for a few hours before releasing her under her own cognizance. However,” he paused and adjusted his glasses, all three of them leaning in towards him, hanging onto his every word. “However, due to her condition with the baby, we feel it in her and the baby’s best interests to stay overnight.”

“But she’s gonna be okay, right?” Lily rose onto her tiptoes and peered to the chart in the doctor’s hands.

He tilted it closer to his chest. “She should be just fine; provided she follows the advice from her ob-gyn on proper diet and care for herself and the baby.”

Alex wet his bottom lip. “And the baby?”

The doctor’s friendly brown eyes met his own and he smiled. “The baby is just fine. I’ve advised Miss Madison to make an appointment with her ob-gyn to do a follow up visit as soon as she can get in.”

Lily nodded. “Okay, thank you, Doctor. Can we see her?”

“Of course, she’s in room 123. It’s just down the hall then to the left.” He pointed in the direction then excused himself and moved on to speak to another couple on the other side of the waiting room.

Jordan sighed and looked between his fiancée and the newcomer. “You two go on, I’ll wait out here.”

“You sure?” Lily squeezed his arm. He gave a nod and she kissed his cheek then looked to Alex. “Ready?”

“Yeah.” He nodded some, not ready, but knowing they needed to have a conversation. Obviously, she wasn’t taking care of herself and if she didn’t change that, something more severe might happen next time and the baby, or Brielle herself, may not be so lucky again.

Lily led the way down the hall and around the corner, stopping before the room. She knocked softly then pushed the door open and peeked her head in. “Hello?”

Brielle sat propped in the bed, a blanket covering her legs and a few IV’s feeding into the backs of her hands. She glanced over at the knock and sent her friend a tired grin. “Hey. Come in.”

“How ya feeling?” The brunette questioned as she strolled on in the room, Alex hesitantly moving in behind her.

“Tired, but okay.” Brielle’s hands smoothed the blanket and her eyes darted between the two visitors.

“You scared me half to death, Brie.” Lily pulled a chair closer and took a seat, reaching for her friend’s hand.

Brielle chuckled lowly. “I’m sorry; it wasn’t like I did it on purpose.”

“Well I know that. And you,” she waved their clasped hands some, “need to take better care of yourself. The doctor said you were dehydrated and exhausted.”

The blonde made a face. “I know, but it’s not like I’m in a good situation where I can do that no problem.”

“I’m so sorry, Brie,” she sighed and rested the back of Brie’s hand to her forehead, “I should have done more.”

“Hey, don’t blame yourself,” Brielle shook her head, “this isn’t your fault. You’ve done what you could.”

Alex watched the two girls, shoving his hands into his pockets and thinking he should have stayed in the waiting room with Jordan. These two obviously needed a moment to talk about things and he really had no business being there eavesdropping on them. Well okay, maybe he had a little bit of business considering she was having his child. But he could always come back. Just as he was about slip out the door, the girls fell silent and he found two sets of eyes watching him.

“Um…hey.” He gave a little wave.

Lily waved him over then slipped from the chair. “I um…think you two need to talk. I’m gonna go let Jordan know you’re feeling better.” Then before either could object, she slipped from the room and closed the door securely behind her.

“Well…” he cleared his throat then tugged on the legs of his jeans and took the seat the brunette had vacated.

Brielle watched him for a moment. “You didn’t have to come.”

Alex wet his bottom lip. He was fully aware that he didn’t have to show up; his life would have been a hell of a lot easier had he pretended he didn’t know who Brielle was and just gone about his business. Something told him she wouldn’t have taken her story to the press, or tried to sue him for all he was worth. “I know,” he finally managed out.

“Why did you?”

A shrug. “I honestly don’t know.”

Brielle nodded some and picked at the sheet over her legs. She was quiet for a few moments before finally speaking, “I’m sorry that Lily brought you into this.”

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “It’s mine, isn’t it?”

She watched him with a heavy feeling in the pit of her stomach. She could lie then he could go about with his life and be none the wiser. He wouldn’t have to worry about what the press would say, he wouldn’t have to worry about what his family would think, he wouldn’t have to worry about his fiancée finding out, he wouldn’t have to worry about her messing up his life. The more she thought about it, the more and more she began to think it would be the best thing to do. It was on the tip of her tongue and then Lily’s face flashed through her mind and her shoulders sunk. “Yes,” she choked out.

Alex’s head fell forward.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered as tears began to gather in her eyes. “I…I didn’t mean for this to happen. You…don’t have to stay. You can go back home. I’m not gonna…come after you for anything. I’ll put that in writing if you want me to.”

“No,” he shook his head and lifted his gaze to hers again, “I can’t just walk away. You’re having my baby. That’s not something someone can just walk away from.” He wanted to, Lord knew he did, but the guilt would eat him alive. He was too scarred from his own father and he couldn’t do that to someone else; someone who was innocent in all this mess.

Brielle nodded some and fiddled with the blanket. “So…what do we do?”

Alex sighed and his eyes darted around the room. “Well, one thing’s for sure, you need to start taking better care of yourself.” He watched her a moment, seizing up the situation in his head. “Are you…living with Lily and Jordan?”

A flush crept over her cheeks and she slunk further into the bed. “Yeah…I got kicked out of my place.”

“And Lily said you were between jobs?”

Brielle wanted to throw her pillow at her best friend for having such a big mouth. “I…can’t find a job. I’ve been interviewing like crazy the last week, but no one wants to hire me.” Her shoulders slumped and she studied her lap like something interesting was sitting in it. “I don’t have any money. I don’t have a place to live. I can hardly afford to eat. Lily tries to help, but I know Jordan really wants me out.”

Alex had to strain his ears and he felt his heart ache at her words. “What…God,” he ran a hand through his hair, “what were you planning on doing when the baby was born?”

She reached and wiped at a stray tear. “I don’t know,” her voice was so desolate it took all his willpower not to pull her into his arms and promise that he’d make it okay. “Lily,” she cleared her throat and wiped at her eyes, not meeting his gaze, “Lily,” she repeated, “said I should put it up for adoption. But I don’t think I could do that.”

He was torn between agreeing with her friend or with the blonde herself. In Brielle’s situation, adoption would have probably been the best option. There’s no way she would be able to afford and support a child and even if she could scrape by, that life would not be one that a baby should even be in. He sighed and rubbed his jaw, trying to put his words together in his head before speaking them out loud. “Brie,-”

She shook her head and interrupted him, “You know I don’t expect anything from you, right? Lily didn’t bring you out here so you could give me a bunch of money.”

“No, I know.”

“Her dad took off on her and her mom when she was little. She…feels strongly about this kind of stuff.”

He gave a small chuckle; well fancy that.

The blonde’s eyes narrowed. “It’s not funny.”

“No,” he shook his head quickly and took her hand in his, “I know it’s not funny, believe me. I’ve been there.”

“Oh.” She pressed her lips together.

Alex sighed and glanced off towards the window, watching out at the bare trees. Finally, he turned back to her, her hand still clasped in his. “I have an idea.”

She lifted her brows.

He wet his bottom lip and cupped her hand with both of his. “Hear me out before you say anything, okay?”

She bit her bottom lip and studied his face before giving a slight nod. It couldn’t hurt to hear the guy out, though she was pretty sure she wouldn’t like what he was going to suggest.

“Good.” He offered up a small grin then inhaled a breath and spoke, “What if you come back to LA with me.”

Brielle’s eyes widened, but Alex held up a hand to silence her before she could speak.

“I said, hear me out.”

“Sorry,” she mumbled then motioned him to continue.

“You come back to LA with me for awhile. It doesn’t have to be months and months, but just long enough for you to get yourself healthy again; at the weight you should be at, hydrated and rested. I could help you get back on your feet and once you’re there, you can leave.” He wet his bottom lip. “Or you could stay if you liked it enough. I have lots of connections, so finding you a job isn’t going to be a problem and you can stay with me until we find you your own place.”

“Leave New York?”

Alex wasn’t sure this was the best idea, but it was the only thing he had at the moment. She needed out of the situation she was in, and at the time, the only person who could help her with that was himself. Besides, she was carrying his baby and what kind of guy was he if he left her and that child in the misfortune she had stumbled into. The little life she carried was his responsibility as well. “Just for the time being. You can’t stay with Lily and Jordan forever and you said yourself that you can’t find a job and have no money. Let me help you.”

“Why are you doing this?” Her eyes searched his face for some kind of answer.

“Because you’re having my child.” His hand pulled hers closer and he laced their fingers together, a softness in his eyes and voice. “You have a part of me inside you and I can’t walk away from that. Just like I can’t go back to LA knowing the condition you’re in and not doing all I can do to get you out of it.”

“I don’t want your charity.”

“Oh, baby,” he chuckled low and pressed the back of her hand to his cheek, “this isn’t charity. This is me being a man and stepping up to my responsibilities.”

How could she argue that? But how could she tell him yes? He was practically a stranger and he wanted her to uproot her life and move clear across the country to a place she didn’t know. “I…I don’t know.”

Alex nodded and lowered her hand to the bed. “It’s a lot to take in and think about, I know. And I don’t expect an answer right away.”

“Good, cuz I couldn’t give you one right now even if I wanted to.”

He chuckled at that and rose from the seat. “You take a few days and think it over. I’m not going anywhere.” Then he brushed his lips over her forehead. “But I’m gonna slip out and let you get some rest. You look like you’re past the point of exhaustion.”

“I am.” She sighed and watched him through weary lids. “Where are you gonna go?”

“I’m gonna get a hotel room. I’ll be back tomorrow. You get some sleep.”

She nodded and snuggled down into the bed. “Mmkay, thank you.”

He smiled then gave her hand one more squeeze before letting it go. “Sleep tight.”

“I’ll try to.” She shifted the blanket up over her shoulders and watched as he slipped to the door and flicked the light switch, casting the room in a dim light. “Tell Lily I’ll see her tomorrow.”

“Will do.” He sent her one more glance then slipped from the room, the door closing quietly behind him.

Brielle sighed and watched him go, wondering if she was already dreaming. What a lot to take in; just the thought of it made her head hurt. Tomorrow she would have a long conversation with Lily. Maybe her friend would help her figure it out and she’d have an answer, because how do you say yes to something like that; but then again, in her situation…how do you say no?

Chapter Five by summer
Author's Notes:
Gosh, thank you so much for all the wonderful feedback! I'm thrilled that everyone seems to like the story. I'm definitely trying to get updates as soon as I can. I just hope you'll continue to let me know your feelings. Enjoy! :)

 

Alex sighed and tossed his room key onto the small table by the door of his hotel room. Pushing the door shut with his foot, he emptied his pockets and dumped the contents next to the white keycard. What a day. After slipping from Brielle’s room, he’d found Lily and Jordan in the waiting room. He could tell it had taken all of Lily’s strength to control herself and keep from pummeling him with questions on what he and Brie had talked about. After making some small talk, he’d told them he’d be back by sometime in the morning then finally headed out and to a hotel.

He was exhausted; emotionally and physically exhausted and he wanted nothing more than to crawl into a bed and disappear under the covers. The conversation with Brielle had been a real eye opener and he’d nearly forgotten about the sharp pain that was stabbing him in the head. He felt like it might seriously split in two. Though it was nothing a couple aspirin and some Jack D couldn’t cure. He could already feel that thirst for the amber colored alcohol in his mouth and was longing to feel the burn as it went down and warmed his entire body. He really needed to forget tonight existed, if even for a few hours.

With a sigh, he kicked off his shoes then strolled over to the wet bar in the corner of the suite. The hotel had been kind enough to stock it with his choice of poison and at the moment he felt like he could down every bottle. Alex knew he shouldn’t be drinking, but he was only so strong and lately he had no energy to fight the urges. So why not just give in every now and then? For the most part, he did pretty well, but there were those days, those hellish days he just wanted to curl up inside himself and that’s when he’d reach for the bottle.

And today was one of those days.

Taking a bottle from the midni fridge and a tumbler from the cabinet above it, he poured himself some of the potent liquid then downed it in one swallow. It stung in a way that hurt, but felt oh so good and then he poured another. He was on his fourth when his black iPhone sounded from its spot on the table and Alex gave a groan. Why was someone interrupting him? He shoved his drink to the side and grabbed the white bottle of Tylenol from the counter as he passed it by. Shaking two from it and popping the cap back on, he quickly tossed them back then grabbed up his phone just before it cut to voice mail.

“Talk to me,” he rasped over the line.

“Alex?” His mother’s voice cut through the warmth that the alcohol had filled his body with, replacing it with an icy cold. Denise always had a way of picking the very moment he was indulging in some Jack D to call him; it was like she had a sixth sense and just knew he was up to no good.

He cleared his throat and strode back towards the wet bar. “Hey, Mom.”

“Are you in New York? Did you talk to this girl?”

Alex closed his eyes and took a slow breath before responding, “Yeah, I’m here and I talked to her.”

“What did she have to say? I bet she’s not even pregnant.”

“No, Ma, she’s definitely pregnant.” He sank down onto a stool and stared at the drink that was still calling his name.

“Are you sure? Women can fake things like that.”

“She’s not faking it.” He wasn’t going to go into detail and tell her about Brielle’s fainting spell, something told him she might say the young lady was faking that as well.

“Well, then we’ll just have to get a test done as soon as possible.”

Alex rubbed his aching head. “No.”

Denise hesitated. “No?”

“The baby’s mine, Mom. I know it is.”

“Alex,” she sighed and he could picture the expression she must have on her face, “you hardly know this girl, you don’t know for sure that the child is yours. I highly suggest that you get a test done before you make any decisions.”

“I’m not doing the test.” He reached and grabbed the tumbler.

His mother was silent for a moment and when she finally spoke, her tone was softer, “Are you saying that because it’s what we want you to do?”

His eyes narrowed and he glanced to the phone. “Who is we? You’re not going around telling anyone about this, are you?” Sometimes it was hard for Denise to keep mum about certain situations dealing with her son. She was one of those super proud mothers that felt the need to share their child’s every move with anyone who would listen. It’d come back to bite him in the ass one too many times.

“I’m just saying, honey. And your lawyers are going to say the same thing.”

Oh great. That thought caused a sharp pain to shoot from the base of his skull. “Fuck,” he breathed out in a long sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger.

“Alexander!”

“Sorry.”

She let out a slow breath. “I just don’t want someone to take advantage of you, baby. I’m just concerned about you and your well being and I don’t want you to fall victim to some scam or extortion scheme.”

“It’s not a scheme, Mom.” He lifted his head and set the glass of alcohol back onto the counter. “She’s in real bad shape. She was kicked out of her apartment, she can’t find a job and she has no money.”

“Oh, that poor dear.”

“I didn’t know what to do, Mom. I mean, she’s having my baby and she can hardly take care of herself. She’s not eating properly and she’s exhausted and I don’t even know what kind of doctor care she’s had for the baby.” He ticked off the facts on his fingers.

“Oh, sweetheart, I know that must be a horrible situation for her, but it’s not your place to fix her problems.”

“Maybe not, but I can’t let her continue like that when she’s having my child.” He frowned at the thought and stared hard at the drink, already imagining it taking the edge off and relaxing him enough to forget this entire conversation with his mother.

It was a moment before he realized the line was silent. “Um, Mom?” He lowered the phone and checked to make sure they were still connected, which they were.

“Ooh, no. No, no, no, no, no.”

“Mom, what…”

“No, Alexander, absolutely not!”

Her blinked at the ferocity in her words. “Mom…what…are you talking about?”

“You are not taking her back to California with you. Tell me you aren’t.”

“Mom,” he frowned and shifted his eyes toward the phone, “what…I…so what if I am.”

“Oh, Alex, you don’t even know if this child is yours. You are asking for trouble. At least call your lawyer first.”

“I’m not going to call my lawyer first. She needs help, Mom. I asked her to come to California with me and check it out. She doesn’t have to stay, but I’d like to at least give her a place to stay for awhile while she gets herself in better shape. I’m gonna see about getting her a job and once she starts making enough money, she can get her own place.” He frowned some. “This is your grandchild here, Mother, you could at least pretend to have some sympathy and concern for them both.”

“Well,” Denise scoffed, “you sure put me in my place.”

Alex sighed. “I wasn’t trying to. I’m just doing what needs to be done. Do I want to? Not particularly. I’m not exactly thrilled with the idea of having a child with a woman I barely know. And I’m not thrilled with how Renee is going to take the news. My future with her might be over after she finds out about the baby. But I’m doing it. I’m stepping up and being a man here. Not some asshole who lets the mother of his child live in the streets and beg for handouts. I’m not going to just walk away, Mom. I’m not Bob.”

He could hear her sigh over the line. “I just don’t want you to ruin your life and the child turns out not to be yours. At least to a test before you make any major decisions.”

He wanted to hurl the glass full of Jack Daniels across the room. His mother was being too judgmental and close minded for her own good. “Mom, you know I love you and you know I respect your opinions, but I need to live my life the way I want to, not the way anyone else wants me to. And if I make mistakes, then so be it.”

“Alex-”

He shook his head, not in the mood to discuss this any further. “Um, actually, Mom, I need to go. I love you, okay? I’ll call you in a few days.” And then he disconnected the call before she could object. Shaking his head, he shoved his phone onto the counter then raked his hands through his hair. Fuck. That was the only word he could think to describe the circumstances that were dropping into his lap. He was clearly fucked and not in the good way.

What was he going to do? What was he going to tell Renee? How was everyone going to take the news? His family, his friends, his bandmates, the fans? What would they say? Normally, Alex didn’t care what anyone thought, but this wasn’t a racy t-shirt or new hair color; this was another life. A baby. His baby. And now Brielle was being drawn into his life and he could only imagine what she’d have to put up with.

Reaching for the glass of liquor, Alex stared down into it and swirled it some, watching the liquid splash up against the sides of the tumbler. Why oh why oh why was this happening to him? He had to fucken idea. But he did know one thing; quickly downing the drink, he pushed the glass out of the way and reached for bottle; it was going to be one very long night.

~*~*~*~*~

“Afternoon, sleepyhead.”

Brielle stretched some and yawned, glancing over to find Lily lounging in the armchair in the corner. “How long have I been sleeping? What time is it?” She rubbed her face and shifted some in the bed.

“Since you fell asleep yesterday evening and it’s just after twelve.” The brunette plucked a brown paper bag from a table that sat next to the chair and brought it to the bed. Then she shifted up on it careful of her friend. “I brought bagels and fresh orange juice.”

“Ooh.” Brielle pulled herself into a sitting position and eagerly accepted the food. “I’m starving.”

“I bet you are.” Lily unwrapped her own bagel and began to smear strawberry jam onto it.

Brielle worked on buttering her own breakfast. “Thank you for this.” She licked some butter from her thumb then set the knife to the side and opened her orange juice carton.

“You’re very welcome.” Lily sent her friend a warm smile then took a big bite of her bagel. She was quiet for a moment as the two girls began to eat, but then wiped her face with a napkin and spoke, “How are you feeling?”

“Tired.” She chuckled and wiped her fingers onto a napkin. “I didn’t realize how exhausted I really was.”

“You need the rest.” Lily watched her friend a moment. “So…how did your talk with Alex go?”

Brielle’s eyes shifted to her then back to her bagel. “Is he here?”

“I haven’t seen him yet. But he said he’d be back before he left last night.” She reached for her orange juice. “Are you two okay?”

“You could say that.” She tore some of the bagel apart and stuck it into her mouth.

Lily’s intense green eyes watched her. “What happened?”

Her friend sighed and pushed some pale blonde hair from her face. “He wants me to go to LA with him.”

Lily blinked, her mouth falling open.

“I know, right!” Brielle nodded, still feeling pretty shocked herself.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing.” She took another bite of her bagel. “I didn’t know what to say and he didn’t let me talk. He told me to think about it and he’d be back today.”

“Gosh, Brie,” Lily shook her head, “that’s…I…wow, I don’t know what to say.”

“You and me both.”

“What…did he say why he wanted you to go with him?”

She gave a sigh and leaned back against the pillows behind her. “He said that he can help me find a job; he has a lot of connections. And he said that I don’t have to stay out there, but just go out there long enough to get myself back on my feet and get myself healthy.” She brought her cloudy blue eyes to meet her friend’s gaze. “He said I don’t have much going on for me here, and that’s true.”

“Yeah, but…to move clear across the country with some guy you don’t even know.”

“You’re the one who got me into this situation. He wouldn’t be out here and we wouldn’t be having this conversation if you hadn’t decided to take matters into your own hands.” Brielle arched a brow at her friend, knowing she was more than right.

“I know and I’m sorry if you got upset. I just…I couldn’t let …” she trailed off and looked down at the bagel she was slowly picking apart.

Brielle gave a small groan and grabbed her friend’s hand. “I know, Lily. I’m sorry if I freaked out on you. I just…I really wasn’t pleased that you took it upon yourself to contact Alex and his mom.”

Lily squeezed her hand in a comforting way. “I know you weren’t. I don’t know why I thought you might be glad to see him. Maybe it’s because you’re running yourself ragged and I thought you might like to know that he wasn’t running away and freaking out. The conversation we had was calm and he didn’t once accuse me of lying or concocting some plan. He seemed genuinely concerned in how you were doing.”

“Well, now he wants me to move to Los Angeles.”

“Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing.”

Brielle’s eyes widened. “Are you agreeing with him? I don’t even know the guy. What if he’s…like some sicko or perv or something.”

She shrugged in a casual manner. “I’ve been doing some research and from what I’ve found out, he seems like a decent guy. He’s had some serious issues in the past, but it looks like he’s worked through them and he’s okay.”

“Oh, please,” she rolled her eyes, “the stuff you read online about celebrities is only a dent in what they’re really like. He could get me out there then rape me and beat me.”

“Heh, he even thinks about that and I’ll kick his ass.”

She shook her head and studied the last bit of her bagel before popping it into her mouth. “I don’t know, Lily. I’d be leaving you and you’re going to be getting married soon. And I don’t even know anyone out there. I’d feel so out of place and not to mention; he does have a fiancée. That would just be a very awkward situation and everyone would look at me like some girl who was trying to get something from him.”

“But you’re not.”

“They would still think I was. They’re going to think I’m using him, that I got myself pregnant on purpose or that it’s not even his child.” Her shoulders sank as if all the worry was weighing them down.

“Brielle, who cares what anyone else thinks.” Lily gathered the trash and tucked it into the bag then set the paper bag to the side. She brushed some crumbs from the bed then turned back to her friend. “This doesn’t have anything to do with anyone other than you and Alex-”

“And his fiancée,” She interjected.

“…And his fiancée. So who cares if they think you’re some money hungry slut who stole his sperm while he was sleeping then impregnated yourself with a turkey baster.” It was her turn to roll her eyes. “People talk shit because they’re ignorant. You just have to learn to ignore them.”

“Easier said than done.”

“I know it is, honey.” She took her friends hand again. “I think you can do this. And the more I think about it, the more I think it might be the right thing to do. Not only would you be getting back onto your feet, but he’d get to be there for all the exciting things that come with having a baby. And who knows, maybe there’s someone out there that would be interested in your photography.”

“I don’t know, Lily. The idea freaks me out.” Though the thought of getting to try and prove herself with her talent did sound appealing.

“It freaked you out to come out here to New York on your own and you did it. It’s a big change, but at least you won’t be alone this time. And hey,” she gave her hand a shake, “you know that I’ll be coming out to visit you every chance I get.”

Brielle watched her best friend. She knew that Lily had a point; and Alex’s offer sounded so nice. Sure, she could turn him down and stay with Lily and Jordan for a few more months, but they were planning a wedding and she was having a baby and those two just did not mix when it was two separate people. She’d need her own place and they’d want to be alone as newlyweds. And Alex said he could help her get a job and get on her feet. She didn’t have to stay with him and she didn’t even have to stay in LA once she was in a position to make decisions like that. Maybe it couldn’t hurt to just check it out.

“Gah,” I don’t know,” she pulled her hand from Lily’s and ran both of them through her hair, “I just don’t know. If I go, then I won’t see you and you won’t get to do the baby stuff with me. I won’t get to help you plan a wedding and I’d be all alone. And I just don’t know if I want to get in-between him and his fiancée.”

“I got news for you, Brie; you’re already in-between him and his fiancée, rather you go to LA or not.”

She chewed on her bottom lip. “What if I hate it out there?”

“What if you love it? You know that we’ll still talk all the time and I’ll come see you as often as I can. And technology is great these days so you’ll still be able to be involved with the wedding plans. Don’t worry about me or us, because we’re still going to be there for each other even if we’re on opposite shores. You just need to worry about yourself and that baby and making sure you take care of yourself. And I think Alex could help you do that.”

She sighed. “You think I should go?”

“I think you should give it a try. You could even just go for a visit for a week or two; just check it out and see what it’s like. And if you hate it, you know you’re welcome back here.”

“Ooh, a visit.” She perked up. “I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that. That…might be okay.”

Lily smiled. “It’s worth a shot at least, right?”

“Right.” A pause. “But what if he’s an asshole?”

The brunette arched a brow. “You honestly think he’s an asshole? He flew out here to see you as soon as he heard the news, he stayed with you yesterday when you passed out and scared the shit out of everyone and he offered up his home to you. What part of any of that says he’s an asshole?”

Brielle made a face. She knew he wasn’t an asshole. Their time together the first night they met told her that much. “I think I need to ask him about his fiancée first. Make sure that it’s not going to put everyone into an awkward situation.”

“He shoulda thought about that before you two did the nasty.”

“I didn’t know he had a girlfriend.”

“I know you didn’t and he obviously didn’t care.”

She nodded some and pressed her lips together for a moment. “Alright, I’ll go for a visit.”

Lily smiled. “Good.”

“And you’re coming with me.” She turned to her friend.

“What?” The brunette blinked.

Brielle gave a small grin, but didn’t get a chance to expand on that statement because the subject of their conversation knocked then stepped into the room. He was dressed in some dark jeans and a dark blue tee with some kind of weird picture on the front. A black ballcap was pulled low on his head and dark sunglasses covered his eyes. The blonde thought that was a little strange considering they were inside and from the looks of the gray clouds outside her window, didn’t appear to even be needed on the outside.

The two girls exchanged a curious look.

“Um, hi.” Brielle glanced back to him and gave a little wave.

“Hey,” his voice sounded hoarse like he might be getting sick or had been screaming all night. Neither female realized it was from all the alcohol he’d thrown back and he was shading his eyes from any kind of light that might make the pounding in his brain even worse.

Lily frowned some. “Are you alright?”

Alex gave a cough then cleared his throat. “Yeah, how are you ladies?”

“We’re doing well.” She glanced towards Brielle then back towards the newcomer. “We were just discussing that Brie has decided to take you up on your offer and go with you to LA; but just for a visit first to make sure she likes the place.”

“And Lily is coming with me.”

Alex looked to Brielle, his head snapping back towards Lily then to Brielle again when she announced that Lily would be joining them. “She is?”

“If that’s okay,” the blonde quickly added. “I think I’d just like to visit for a week or so first. And I know it might be a lot to ask that Lily come with me, but I’d really like for her to be there. I wouldn’t know anyone and I would hate to monopolize your time or make you feel like you have to keep me company or something, and if Lily came then neither of that would happen.”

He wasn’t much in a mood for discussions, but he didn’t see anything wrong with her suggestion. The points she made certainly seemed valid and if it would make her more comfortable then he didn’t see anything wrong with it. He had plenty of room at his place and if the two wanted to go somewhere, they could borrow his SUV. The only problem was going to be Renee. She was going to go ape shit when she found out that he was fathering a child with another woman and then she would go fucken insane when she found out he had brought that woman back to LA with him. But maybe if her friend came along, it wouldn’t be so bad. Or awkward. Or so much tension. Hey, he’d try anything at the moment.

“Yeah, sure, that’s fine. Lily can come.”

“Great.” Brielle smiled at him then to her friend. “You’re coming with.”

“Yeah, I’m coming with.” Lily didn’t sound too enthused at the moment.

The blonde turned her attention back to Alex. “When are you wanting to leave?”

At the moment, the only thing he wanted was a dark room and complete silence. He knew he shouldn’t have drunk as much as he had, but it had been like he had no control. Bottle after bottle was opened and he’d found himself downing one after another. Alex hadn’t realized just how much he really had consumed until that morning when he’d stumbled over the empty glass containers and surveyed the damage. He was just glad there hadn’t been anyone around to witness his down spiral into hell. He couldn’t let himself lose control like that again or next time he’d be in some serious shit.

“Alex? Are you sure you’re okay?”

Brielle’s voice echoed in his head and he hadn’t even realized that his mind had drifted away until she spoke. “Yeah, I’m good.” He cleared his throat again and tugged on his shirt some. “Have um…have you had lunch yet?”

“She slept all the way through lunch. We just finished some bagels.” Lily thumbed towards the brown paper sack.

“Oh, okay.” He shifted some on his feet, his hands shoved into his pockets.

“When were you planning on returning to LA?” Brielle tried her question again.

Alex turned his gaze to her, or at least she thought he was looking at her, but couldn’t be certain for the sunglasses covering his eyes. “Um, I hadn’t decided yet. I wasn’t sure what would happen here when I showed up, so I didn’t book a return flight.”

Lily kicked at the vacant chair next to the bed. “You can sit down, you know.”

He waved that offer off, “I’m good, but thanks.”

She shrugged and looked back to her friend. “Okay, well…I think I’m gonna take off now.”

“But you just got here.”

“No, I didn’t.” She chuckled and rose from the bed, smoothing her shirt. “I’ve been here since ten. Besides, now that I’m taking a trip to LA, I need to go let my fiancé know and get to packing. I’ll call you in a couple hours.” She leaned and kissed her friend’s cheek. “Talk to him about that fiancée,” she whispered before pulling back and taking up her belongings from the table to the side. Telling Alex she’d see him later, she called out one more goodbye to Brielle then disappeared from the room.

The blonde stared at the empty doorway for a moment before turning to her visitor. “Are you sure you’re alright?” Something didn’t seem right with him and it was making her uncomfortable. “Did you change your mind about wanting me to go to LA? Because I don’t have to go.”

“What?” His brow furrowed then he shook his head and moved to the bed. “No, no, not at all. I still want you to come.”

“Okay,” she nodded and smoothed the blankets around her, “then what’s going on? Do you not want Lily to go?”

“Oh, no, not at all. She can come, I don’t mind.” He sank into the chair, tugging his pant legs up some.

Maybe it was the dark obstruction hiding his eyes that was making her feel disturbed. “Hey, come here a second.” She motioned him closer.

“Hm?” He leaned forward then blinked when she reached and slowly removed the sunglasses. “Hey…”

“Much better.” Brielle folded the arms then set them safely to the side. “Now,” she turned back to him, her eyes stretching at the sight of his bloodshot eyes and the dark circles beneath, “what happened?”

Alex turned away, glancing off toward the other side of the room. “I had a rough night.”

“I’d say so.” Immediately she regretted the words. “I’m sorry. I know that this isn’t easy for you and it was probably one hell of a shock to find out.” The poor guy had probably been tossing and turning all night long.

He frowned and slouched in the chair. “It really was.”

She gave an understanding nod. “Do you…want some time before I come out to visit? Like…is there anyone you need to talk to or anything you need to do first?”

Yeah, tell his fiancée. Rubbing his jaw, Alex brought his weary gaze back to Brielle. “Actually, there is someone I need to talk to first.”

“You’re fiancée, right?”

He looked taken back. “How did you know?”

Her fingers fiddled with the edge of the blanket. “I saw the People magazine about your engagement. That’s how I found out who you were.”

“I wondered how you knew how to find me.”

“Lily did all that on her own. I had no idea she was looking you up. She’s a genius when it comes to Google.”

Alex gave a low chuckle at that then rubbed his jaw. “I um…should probably fly back home and talk to her. I think she’d take the news a lot easier that way instead of showing up with you and Lily.”

She was inclined to agree. “That’s probably a good idea.”

“Yeah.” His tired eyes met hers before he leaned forward in the seat and covered his face with his hands. “She’s gonna to kill me.”

Brielle winced some. “I’m sorry,” she breathed out softly. She wanted to reach out and touch him, offer some kind of support, but she wasn’t sure if she should. He didn’t seem to be in the best of moods and she didn’t want to upset him any more than he already seemed to be.

He rubbed his eyes then lifted his head to her again. “But that’s life, right? You just take the shit that comes your way and roll with it.”

“Rolling with shit would be gross.”

He frowned some and stared at her a moment before he understood her comment. Then a laugh spilled from his mouth and he shook his head.

“I’m sorry,” she giggled out lowly, “that wasn’t appropriate.”

“No,” he sniffed and cleared his throat, “don’t apologize. I needed that laugh.”

“Kay.” She watched him a moment. “Okay, so um…just let me know when you want us to come out and we will. Maybe once things settle down.”

“That could be months. I’ll talk to her, give her a few days and see how things go then have you ladies come join me.” He glanced towards the door as a nurse entered the room then back to her. “I’m gonna go see what kind of coffee this place has. I think I’ll feel better once I eat something.”

“Yeah, okay. I Hope you feel better.”

He rose to his feet. “I’ll be back in a little while. Hopefully the doctor will come see you soon and let you know when they’re releasing you.”

“I hope so.” She studied him a moment, feeling horrible that her news had taken quite a toll on him.

He could read her expression. He reached and squeezed her arm. “Hey, I’m okay. I just had a rough night, but I’m okay.”

“Good.” She smiled at him then turned to the nurse as the older woman moved to the other side of the bed and spoke to her patient.

Alex watched them a moment then grabbed up his shades and slipped from the room. Tugging his ballcap lower on his head, he glanced left then right and headed for the elevators. He needed some coffee, he needed some Ibuprofen, he needed a long nap in a dark room, he needed to wake up from this crazy ass dream and he needed to call his mom. He’d been a little harsh with her last night when all she’d been trying to do was protect him. First, he’d find the coffee then he’d take the pain medication and then he’d find a quiet, secluded place and call his mom. He probably wouldn’t be getting that nap today and he knew he wouldn’t wake up from this dream because it was no dream. This was now his life.

Chapter Six by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much, guys! All the feedback is so appreciated. I'm glad you are enjoying this fic. I hope you continue to do so. :) Here's another update for you...I'm trying as fast as I can to get 'em out for you. Enjoy!

 

“Hello?”

“Hey, Mom,” Alex greeted Denise when she answered her phone. He was seated in a side courtyard scattered with stone picnic tables. It was vacant though due to the fact that it was nearly December and just a little too cold to enjoy lunch outside. A perfect place to seek solace and not be disturbed or eavesdropped on. And despite the chilly air outside, his steaming hot coffee would keep him warm. Besides, the fresh air would do him some good.

“Hey, baby,” she replied, sounding slightly hesitant. “Are you okay?”

Not really, but he couldn’t tell her that he’d drank himself into a drunken stupor and now was living the after effects. “I’m alright.”

“You sound a little off.”

“I’ve had an off week.”

She had to give him that. “You’re right. Look, I’m glad you called. I wanted to apologize for freaking out on you last night. That’s a lot for you to have to deal with and I should have been more sympathetic and listened to you. I’m your mother; I’m supposed to be there for you.”

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, hoping the Ibuprofen would kick in soon. “Thank you, Mom. I’m glad you feel that way, but I was calling to apologize to you. I shouldn’t have gone off like I did. You were just doing what you thought best.”

“And I still think that way. I know you may feel uncomfortable to ask this girl to take a DNA test, but baby, you have to protect yourself.”

“I know I do. But the baby won’t be here for like…eight more months…am I supposed to act like it’s not mine until we do a test? And what if it is? I’ve ignored it up till the results come in; how does one piece of paper change that?”

His mother sighed softly over the line. “Rather you spend the next eight months putting your heart and soul into this only to find out that it’s not yours. It’s tough, it really is. The situation you’re in is a very difficult and sticky and it pangs me that you have to go through this. No mother ever wants their child to have to deal with something as big or difficult as what you’re dealing with. You have to tread very carefully and you want to be there and do what you can, but you have to protect yourself first.”

“I know.” He rubbed his forehead then leaned over the table some. “But I really do think this baby is mine. And I want to help this girl. She’s going to come out and visit me in LA for a week or two and see what she thinks.”

Denise stayed silent.

Alex shifted his eyes toward the phone. “And I would like you to come out one weekend and meet her.”

“Oh, baby.”

“We’ll figure a way to do the test, Mom. But until then, I’m not going to act any different. And if…it’s not mine, then we’ll deal with that when we get there. But I’m going to treat it like the baby is mine, which means…he, or she, is your grandchild.” He chuckled low. “You’ve been telling me for years that you’ve wanted grandchildren.”

“I know,” she gave a low laugh, “but I was meaning with someone you would marry and have a relationship with.” A pause. “Speaking of which…have you told Renee yet?”

“No.” A sour taste rose into his mouth.

“How do you think she’s going to handle it?”

“I think she might try to kill me. I seriously do.”

“Well, can you blame her?”

“No.” He rubbed his head and frowned at himself. “We’ve always had an understanding in our relationship.”

“An understanding?”

“Yeah, like…if you need something and one’s not there…kinda thing.” He felt extremely weird telling his mother about this.

Denise gasped. “You had an open relationship?”

“Well, neither of us came out and said that…but pretty much.”

“Then she has no ground to stand on to be upset with you.”

“That was before we were engaged. Things got more serious once I put that ring on her finger.” He glanced around the courtyard as a crow cawed from some tree. “And I got some girl pregnant; she does have room to be upset.”

His mother gave a sigh. “I could never understand you kids.”

“I never understood myself either,” he agreed. “But um, I’m going to head back to LA as soon as I find out what’s going on with Brielle and talk to Renee. Then she and her friend are gonna fly out and join me.”

“Her friend?”

“She doesn’t want to come by herself and I can’t really blame her. She doesn’t know me and she doesn’t know the area. So her friend is gonna come with her and they’ll stay for a week or two.” He glanced to the phone again. “And you have to come out one weekend to meet her. I think you’ll like her and I think you’ll immediately take her under your wing. Once you see her and hear her story, you won’t be able to help yourself.”

“I don’t know.” He could hear the hesitation in her voice.

“Mom, come on…for me. Besides, Renee might despise me and I’ll need someone in my court.”

“Oh, I’ll come out there,” she relayed. “But I don’t know how much I’m going to like this girl.”

Alex sighed. “She’s really in a bad spot and she’s not taking care of herself. She passed out yesterday and had to stay overnight in the hospital because she’s dehydrated and exhausted. She has no money or job or place to live and I can’t just sit by and watch her life unravel knowing that she’s carrying my child.”

“Oh, no…” Denise breathed out. “Is she okay? Is the baby okay?”

“Yeah, they’re both alright, but the doctor said that she needs to really follow the direction her ob-gyn gives her. And I highly doubt she has one of those.”

“That poor child. Alex, you need to get her to a doctor right away.”

He smirked at her sudden change in demeanor. “What’d I tell ya? Under your wing.”

“Well, just because I have my reservations about this being your child doesn’t mean I want harm to come to her, or that baby.” She paused. “Why didn’t you tell me this last night?”

“I wasn’t in the mood and you were going on and on about this DNA test.”

“I understand.” She was quiet for a moment. “You know I love you.”

“I know.” He smoothed a hand over the cool stone of the picnic table. “I love you, too.”

“And I’m proud of you. You’re really stepping up to the plate here and underneath it all, you’re doing the right thing.”

He gave a small grin at that. “Thank you. I’m gonna try here, Mom. I have to.”

“And you know that I’ll help you with whatever you need. And as long as you are planning to do the DNA test, I’ll stop hounding you about it.”

“Thank you.” He relaxed some then rubbed his forehead, wishing the medicine would take the ache away already.

“So, we’re okay?”

“We’re okay. And, Mom,” he hesitated and wet his bottom lip, “I’m glad we’re talking again.”

“Me too, Alex.”

They conversed for a few minutes longer then finally ended the call. Alex sighed and set the phone on the table then leaned over with his head in his hands. At least one good thing had come out of this; he and his mother had made up. Could that be the silver lining surrounding the murky, black storm cloud that was hanging over his head? He hoped so because he needed something good right now. In the next few days he was going to have to tell Renee about Brielle and the baby and he just knew it wasn’t going to go well. Just the thought of having to do so was making him sick to his stomach; and his hangover was not helping him feel any better about it. But it served him right; he brought it on himself.

Frowning at that thought, he grabbed his phone, rose to his feet and headed back for the hospital doors.

~*~*~*~*~

Two days later, Alex was back in Los Angeles. They had released Brielle after just one night in the hospital with strict instructions to get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids and see her ob-gyn. Lily had made sure the guest room was ready and even set up a little bell in case her friend needed anything during the night.

Alex had spent the rest of the evening with them before finally heading back to his hotel room and sleeping off the rest of his hangover. He felt much better the following day and had taken Brielle, Lily and Jordan out to dinner. Jordan had been slightly reluctant to let Lily travel with Brielle to California, but Alex assured him the two girls would be well taken care of and completely safe at all times. That evening, after returning back to the hotel, Alex had booked a return flight for the following morning then finally headed back home.

He had promised Brielle he would give her a call after he spoke with Renee and let her know how that went along with the information for their flight out. She’d given him a long hug before he’d left and wished him luck with what he had to do. Alex had found himself lingering in her embrace; feeling like the hug had been exactly what he needed at the moment; some comfort and encouragement. It had given him the strength to board the flight and run his conversation with Renee over and over in his head.

But now sitting here in his living room, facing her, he could barely even remember what he wanted to say. His stomach was churning and the pulse in his throat was throbbing so fast he was sure she could see it. They were seated on the couch and neither had said a word since Alex had asked her to join him on the sofa. He was staring anywhere but at her and she was watching him like she knew this was going to be something big.

Finally, Renee gave a sigh and broke the silence, “What’s going on, Alex? You asked me over here because you had to talk to me about something and yet you haven’t said a word in,” she conferred with her watch, “five minutes. What is it?”

He wet his bottom lip. “Um…”

She lifted her manicured brows, waiting for him to continue.

Alex sighed and finally faced her again. “Um…I got a phone call the other day…”

She watched him expectantly.

When she didn’t speak, he sighed and ran a hand over his face, trying to gather the strength. “Well…to make a long story short,” he paused and shifted some “well…I’m …going to be a dad.” There, he had said it. But now his throat was closing up with fear or her reaction.

Renee stared at him. “You’re going to be a dad?” She blinked some. “But how? I’m not preg-noooo.” Her eyes went wide.

He winced at the shock on her face, managing a small nod.

“You…you got some other girl pregnant?” Her brow furrowed. “Who is she?”

“You…you don’t know her.” He reached for her hand, but she yanked it away. “It was before we got engaged.”

“And that’s supposed to make me feel better?”

“No,” he shook his head, “not at all. I was just…explaining.”

“I think you need to be explaining about why you were screwing some other chick!” Anger was slowly filtering into her voice and it made Alex’s stomach take a dive.

“Renee, you know that we have an understanding.”

“Yeah, when we first started dating, before we got serious with each other!” She exploded, rising to her feet.

Alex shot up as well. “That’s not true; you know that neither of us has been completely faithful until we got engaged.”

“And just how the hell do you know that?”

He arched his brows. “I’m not stupid, Renee. I know that you’ve messed around on me when I’ve been out of town.”

“Only because you were fucken around on me,” she countered back with.

“So I’m right. We both messed around on each other, but I’ve been completely faithful since I proposed.”

Renee’s eyes narrowed again. “How am I supposed to believe that? You’ve been screwing around behind my back since the beginning of our relationship.”

A stabbing pain shot through his head and he pressed his fingers to the bridge of his nose. “I take our engagement serious, Renee. I don’t know about you, but you’re the one I want to be with.”

“Heh,” she snorted before folding her arms across her chest and staring off in another direction.

“Look,” Alex reached for her, but she drew back, “rather you believe me or not, I’m telling you the truth. I haven’t been with another woman in any way since I proposed to you.” He waited until she glanced to him before adding, “I love you.”

Renee chewed the inside of her cheek, feeling her anger just boiling inside. This could not be happening to her. Her fiancé could not possibly be having a baby with another woman. “Who is she?” She finally spoke, her tone even despite how she felt.

“You don’t know her.” He motioned to the sofa. “C’mon, sit back down and let’s talk about this.”

“Who is she?” She wanted an answer and she wasn’t budging from her spot.

He finally gave up and sank back down onto the leather couch. “Her name is Brielle.”

“Where’d you meet her?”

“In a bar; New York,” he muttered, dropping his head into his hands.

“You just got back from New York, were you off fucken her again?”

His head snapped back up and he frowned. “No, Renee. I flew out to see her and find out what was going on.”

“So you lied about it being business meetings?”

He wasn’t sure how much longer he could hold his frustrations in. “Because I wanted to make sure of everything before I told you.”

“Yeah, whatever.” She rolled her eyes and reached for her car keys. “I’m out.”

Alex frowned. “You’re just leaving? We aren’t gonna talk about this?”

Renee’s eyes met his. “What is there to talk about? You got some chick knocked up then lied to me about where you were going so you could run off and see her. You’re probably lying about not messing around on me since you proposed.”

“I’m not!” He frowned and stood again. “I was trying to protect you!”

“And I’m supposed to believe that?”

“You can believe whatever you damn well want to believe, but it’s the truth,” he snapped at her, not able to hold his feelings in check any longer. “I didn’t go see her and mess around on you. I went to see her to find out what was going on! Her friend was the one to contact me and I wanted to speak to Brielle herself.”

Renee glared at him. “And what did you find out?”

Alex sighed. Here came the part he really dreaded to tell her. “That…she doesn’t have a place to live, any money or a job. She can’t take care of herself or the baby and she ended up in the hospital while I was there. She needs help.”

“And let me guess,” the angry brunette tilted her head, “you’re going to help her. You’re going to play Prince Charming to her Cinderella and save her.”

He frowned. “I’m going to help her, yes. She’s having my child, Renee. Of course I’m going to step in.”

“How do you even know it’s yours?”

Not this again. “I don’t for absolute sure, but I really think it is. And…with that chance that it is, I have to help her. If it turns out not to be mine, then I’ll deal with that when the time comes.”

“I cannot believe you are doing this to me,” she seethed at him.

“It’s not like I’m doing it on purpose,” he shot back.

She shook her head and fiddled with the car keys in her hand. “So what are you gonna do? You gonna give her money? Put her up in a place to stay?”

Alex ran a hand over his head. “Not exactly.”

Renee arched both brows. “What are you doing, Alex?”

He sighed and glanced off then back to her. “I’ve invited her to come out here and visit for awhile. See how she likes it before deciding if she wants to stay here until the baby is born.”

His fiancée’s face went completely red and he thought she was going to fling her keys at him. “You’re bringing that bitch out here! Seriously! That is bullshit!”

“I don’t have any other options, Renee. I’m not going to let her live on the streets…let my child live on the streets!”

“You don’t even know it’s yours!”

Alex frowned and turned away, trying to gather his control back so they could talk about this reasonably.

“You just want that whore out here so you can give it to her more.”

He blinked and whirled back to find her watching him with a taunting expression. “That is not even close. She was one night and I never saw or heard from her until her friend tracked me down.”

“Probably because they want your money. It was probably some scheme the two cooked up and you’re falling for it hook, line and sinker.”

“You’re angry,” he winced when she gave a frustrated growl, “I know you’re angry and I’m sorry for that. But she’s going to come out here, Renee. She needs help, she’s carrying my child and I have to step up. I can’t be like my dad; you know I’ve always said I won’t be that way.”

“Then put her up in a hotel room in New York. Give her some money and send her on her way.” She raked her fingers through her hair, pushing it from her face.

Alex sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I want to be there for my baby.”

“And what about me? Don’t I matter in any of this?”

“Of course you do.” He took a step towards her, wanting to reach out and pull her into his arms, but knowing she would probably slap him. “I don’t want to lose you, baby, and I want you to be there…I’m going to need your support in this. But I know this is hard and something you may not want to go through.” His shoulders drooped as he watched her. “But I’m really going to need you.”

Her brows drew together. “Don’t do that, Alex, do not guilt me into this.”

“Renee, I’m not trying to guilt you. I’m trying to be honest.”

She sighed and glanced to the side, chewing on her bottom lip.

Alex took a chance and moved closer, reaching out and smoothing his hand over her shoulder then down her arm. “I’m not asking you to become her friend or even have anything to do with her; I know that’s not fair to you. But I don’t want to lose you over this.”

“I…I don’t know, Alex.” She turned from his touch.

His face fell and he took a step back. “If you need some time to think this over, I understand.”

She was quiet for a moment then finally looked back to him. “When…are you bringing her out here?”

“I was going to see how things went with you first.”

“I need to think about this, Alex.”

He gave a nod. “I figured you might.”

She returned the nod and reached for her handbag. “I’m gonna go.”

Alex hated the heavy pressure that was settling in his chest. He was hoping that she wouldn’t walk out the door and not come back, but that fear was building and he thought it might be the case. “Are you…going to call me?”

Renee fiddled with her bag. “I don’t know…I just need to think about all this.”

“Okay.” He sighed and smoothed his hands on his jeans, feeling a need for a cigarette and an even stronger one for a drink.

She nodded and looked to him one more time before turning and exiting the room.

Alex sank slowly down onto the couch and put his head in his hands. His life was falling apart around him and all he could do was watch it shatter. How was this happening? He knew Renee would be upset, but he hadn’t considered she might leave him; all over one night’s indiscretions and the consequences. He was so stupid. So, so stupid. He could only hope that she would think on it and want to at least try to work it out with him. But all he could do was wait for her to decide and pray she came back around.

In the meantime…Alex rose from the sofa and grabbed his cigarettes from the coffee table. He pulled one out and lit it up then inhaled a deep puff, feeling it enter is body and soothe his frazzled nerves. He really wanted a drink, but after his latest binge, was sure it wouldn’t be a good idea. But he could handle one, maybe two. He wouldn’t let himself get out of control like before.

Heading for his kitchen, Alex quickly located the bottle of Jack Daniels hidden in the back of the fridge; even Renee hadn’t known it was there. She wouldn’t have cared though; the two often drank together though her choice of liquor was either wine or something cold and fruity. Grabbing a tumbler from the cupboard, he uncapped the bottle and poured the glass half full. Shoving the bottle to the side he surveyed the drink, feeling his inner conscience tell him that this probably was not the brightest of ideas.

Fuck that. He needed this.

Lifting the glass, Alex drank it in one breath then refilled it and did it once more. By the fourth and fifth refills, his conscience had quieted and all he felt was the warmth of the liquor and the sting as it went down. His throat burned and his eyes were watering and he welcomed it with open arms.

Soon the bottle was empty and with a frown, he tossed it into his sink. He needed another, had to have another. He yanked the doors to the fridge open and ravished through, coming up empty and swearing under his breath. Why hadn’t he bought two when he’d gotten that one? He should have known that he couldn’t stop with just one bottle. Where were his keys?

He spotted them on the counter and swiped them up. He’d just drive himself back to the liquor store and purchase another one; no, make that two more. Hell, maybe he’d get half a dozen. Right now they were the only comfort he had in all the shit that was messing up his life. They were the only thing that could keep him calm and ease the hurt that was inside his chest. He had to get more.

Wavering slightly, Alex grabbed his jacket from the coat rack and headed for the front door. He only had one thing on his mind; find more Jack D.

Chapter Seven by summer
Author's Notes:
Much, much appreciation for all the feedback! You guys really are wonderful and I'm having so much fun writing this fic and posting it for you to read. I hope you'll continue to review and let me know whatcha think. Enjoy this chp! :)

 

Alex spent two days holed up in his house drinking all the Jack Daniels he’d bought after Renee had left him. He hadn’t heard from her and didn’t think he was going to. His life had gone down the crapper and at the moment, while he was kneeling over the toilet bowl praying to the porcelain gods, he didn’t even want Brielle to come out. He wanted to crawl into a hole and live there forever; never have to worry about anything again. Ever. Not his fiancée, not his mother, not Brielle and certainly not the baby.

“Geeze, Alex, did you decide to throw a party while I was gone?”

The voice came from behind him and he jerked some, lifting his head to see his fiancée standing in the doorway to the bathroom. “Renee,” he mumbled. Was he dreaming?

She watched him. “Yes, it’s really me.”

“What…I…I thought you left.” He rubbed his forehead, wishing the ache would leave already.

Renee moved into the bathroom. “I did, but I also told you I needed some time to think things over. It didn’t mean I was never coming back.” She made a face at the sight in the toilet bowl then leaned over him and flushed it. “You stink.”

“So, you’re not leaving me?”

“No, I’m not leaving you, but you have got to take a shower.”

He could have cried. “You have no idea how happy that makes me.”

“You know what would make me happy?” She reached and gently helped him to his feet. “If you would take a shower.”

Alex looked down to himself; he was probably quite the sight for sore eyes. “Alright,” he agreed. “I’ll take a shower.”

“Good and I’ll go downstairs and make you some coffee. You’re house looks like shit, I hope you know.”

He gave a groan; he didn’t even want to think about that.

Renee nudged him towards the glass enclosed dual headed shower. “Go on. I’ll call your housekeeper.”

“Thank you,” he mumbled, very, very grateful she was there and willing to help. Watching her slip from the bathroom, Alex sighed and began to strip his clothes off. She hadn’t come in yelling and she didn’t seem mad, two very good signs. Maybe things were going to be okay. She hadn’t left him and from the way she seemed, it sounded like she was sticking around. For once, things seemed to be looking up.

Twenty minutes later, Alex found himself in his kitchen. He surveyed the mess and made a face. “You’d think I had a party, wouldn’t you?”

Renee glanced over from the list she was making out. “You didn’t?”

“No,” he moved over to the fresh pot of coffee and poured himself a mug full, “it was all me.”

“Geeze, Alex.” she surveyed the empty bottles scattered here and there.

“I know, it’s a mess.”

“You might want to give your housekeeper a nice tip.”

“And a bonus.”

Renee chuckled some then looked back to her paper. “I’m making a grocery list for you; you have no food and if you’re having that girl come out here, she’s going to need to eat something.”

He lifted a brow. “You’re okay with her coming out here?”

“Well, I had some time to think it over…and what kind of person would I be if I didn’t stand next to my man?” She cast her eyes over to him. “We’re going to be getting married. If this came up after we had done that, I couldn’t just take off. Marriage is forever. Besides,” she turned to face him, “you were right. We both were very lax in our positions on staying faithful and how can I be upset over something I was doing as well.”

“You have no idea how much I love you.” Alex gently took hold of her hand and pulled her to him. “And to hear you say those words just makes me love you even more.” It was hard to believe that just hours earlier his life was falling apart and now it seemed to be putting itself back together again.

She sent him a crooked grin. “I love you too.”

He brushed his lips over hers. “I’ve missed you.”

“Ooh.” Renee returned the soft, lingering kiss before pulling back. “No, don’t distract me. Your housekeeper is going to be here soon and she has a mess to clean up. And while she’s doing that we,” she used her pen to point between them, “are going to do some grocery shopping. You said this girl has no money and isn’t eating right…so we need to get food that is fit for a pregnant woman.”

Alex glanced towards the list on the counter then back to his fiancée. “I have no idea what kind of food that is.”

“Me either.” She chuckled low and bit her bottom lip.

“Should we wait until she gets out here and all go together?”

Renee shook her head and returned to her task. “If she isn’t eating properly then I highly doubt she knows either. We’ll just buy lots of healthy stuff.”

“That sounds good.”

She gave a nod and jotted down a few more items. “Have you called her yet?”

Joining her at the counter, Alex took a sip of his coffee then shook his head. “No, I was waiting on you.” His dark eyes watched her. “I wanted to know what was going on with us first.”

Renee smiled at that. “I appreciate that, but go call her.”

Alex gave a nod. “What day should I have them come on out?”

“Whatever day you want.”

“Alright,” he took another sip of the soothing drink, “today’s Friday, so how ‘bout Monday? That’ll give us a few days to reconnect and get things ready for her.”

“I like the way you think, McLean.”

He smirked. “Wait until you see the rest of what I’m thinking.”

“Go, call her!” She laughed and pointed in the direction of his office.

“Alright, alright, I’m going.” He chuckled then strolled from the kitchen and down the hall into his office. Things seemed to be looking up again.

Renee watched him go then turned back to her paper. She was still rather annoyed with the whole situation, but the last few days she’d had plenty of time to think it over and she’d come to only one conclusion; she didn’t want to lose him, especially to some heathen that’d gotten herself knocked up with his child. There was no way she was going to give up the future she’d planned out because some bitch was trying to weasel her way in between them. No way at all. This chick was going to come out and see what she and Alex had and she was going to see that she wasn’t going to steal her man away. She’d be damned if she let some slut have her way and take her place. Renee wasn’t going to back down and she wasn’t giving up. The last couple days had given her time to think and she had quite a few things up her sleeve, why, yes she did. This girl wasn’t going to know what hit her.

~*~*~*~*~

“I feel sick.”

Lily looked up from the magazine she was thumbing through and over to her best friend. “Air sickness?”

Brielle shook her head. “No.”

The brunette arched a brow. “Then what is it?”

“Nerves I guess.” She sighed and glanced towards the tiny airplane window then back to her friend. “The closer and closer we get to Los Angeles, the more my stomach twists.”

“What are you so nervous about? He already knows about the baby.”

“The whole situation, Lily.” The two girls were on the plane heading for Los Angeles. The flight was roughly six hours and just a few minutes ago the flight attendants had requested that all electronic devices be shut up and the cabin readied for landing; which meant they would be beginning their descent any minute into the airport and soon be heading from the plane through the bustling airport and down to baggage where Alex would meet them. But the closer and closer they grew, the more freaked out Brielle became.

She was trying to put on a brave face, but wasn’t sure how long she could do it for. Her only saving grace was that Lily had come along. If the brunette had stayed back in New York there’s no telling what Brielle’s condition would be like and that wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

“Are you scared of meeting his fiancée?” Her friend questioned, turning in her seat to face Brielle more.

“Very.” Alex had called her Friday afternoon and Brielle had asked about Renee and how that had gone, but he had been slightly evasive. He told her that she was ready to meet her, but it might be a sensitive subject for her and to not be insulted if Renee made herself scarce during her visit. Secretly, that’s what Brielle hoped would happen. The less she had to deal with her child’s father’s fiancée, the better off everyone would be.

“I’m sure she’s a nice person.”

“I hope so.”

Lily sighed and reached over to give her friend’s arm a comforting squeeze. “It’s going to be okay, Brie. You’ve got me out here with you and you’re just visiting. If you don’t like it out here then you don’t have to stay.”

Her cloudy blue eyes turned upon the brunette. “I don’t have any other options, Lil.”

“We’ll find you some. If you really cannot stay out here then we’ll talk to Alex and figure something out.”

“Good.” She sighed and ran a hand through her long hair. “I don’t know what I’d do if you hadn’t agreed to come with me.”

“Probably not go.”

She chuckled. “I think that’s right. I would have refused to go.”

“But it’s good that you are. Alex obviously wants to be involved and coming out here shows that you’re willing to work with him for the sake of your child.”

“That’s true.” She rested her head against the back of her seat. “I guess I’m just worried that he’s going to change his mind and send me packing.”

“I don’t think he will, but if he does then we’ll figure something out. You just call me and I’ll come get you.”

Brielle gave a tired grin. “You are the best, best friend anyone could ask for.”

“I do try.” She smirked some.

“I appreciate it and I’m very grateful.”

“Aww, Brie, you’d do the same for me.” She nudged her friend’s leg with her own.

The blonde nodded then stifled a yawn. “Geeze, I’m tired. But I shouldn’t be, I haven’t done anything but rest and relax since I got out of the hospital.”

“Flying can make you tired. And when we get to Alex’s, I want you to take a nap.”

She chuckled low. “You sound like my mother. I’m so tired of lying down that I feel like I could scream. I want to go out and explore and see what all the fuss about LA is. It’s December and we won’t need winter coats and hats; how freaken cool is that!”

Lily laughed at her friend’s excitement. “I just don’t want you to overdo it; you heard the doctor, he wants you to rest.”

“I’ve been resting. He didn’t say I had to keep on doing it.”

“He also wants you to follow up with an ob-gyn; so until we can get you one out here, you have to follow his orders and get plenty of rest and lots of fluids.”

“Yes, Mom.”

She nudged her friend. “One day you’ll thank me for mothering you.”

“I find that highly unlikely.”

Lily chuckled then turned her attention to the intercom as the pilot came over announcing that they were now approaching the runway and the flight attendants needed to take their own seats. “Ooh, we’re almost there.”

“Ugh,” Brielle placed a hand over the small baby bump of her lower tummy, “I feel sick again.”

“Take some relaxing breaths; you’re going to be just fine.” Lily’s hand found hers. “Everything’s going to work out, Brielle…you’ll see.”

She only hoped she could believe her; but nothing in Brielle’s life had worked out before, so why should this be any different?

That thought stayed with her as the plane touched down and slowed then made its way to the designated gate. Together, she and Lily gathered their belongings then exited the cabin and made their way up the jetway and into the airport. The signs to the baggage claim were clear and concise and it didn’t take the duo long to find their way to the area. The only problem they were going to have now was to locate Alex in the crowds of people that were gathering here or there.

“You see him?” Lily questioned as she stood on her tiptoes and tried to peer over everyone.

Brielle turned a slow circle, her eyes peeled for any sign of the tattooed man. “No…do you?”

Lily sighed and rolled back down off her toes. “No.”

“Well, I’m sure he’s here somewhere.” She glanced towards the claim that their luggage was supposed to come out on then to her friend. “We’ll find him.”

“I hope so.”

“Let’s get our bags then we’ll look again. He knows our flight number, so I’m sure he’ll find his way over here and see us.”

Lily arched her brows. “Look at you not freaking out and being all level headed.”

“I’m trying.” She brushed some hair from her face and tucked it behind her left ear. “I’m really working to ignore the voice in the back of my mind telling me he forgot us or something.”

“He didn’t forget us.” Her friend watched as the bags began to roll out on the conveyor belt.

“Course I didn’t, give me some credit,” A voice spoke up from behind them.

Both girls turned to see Alex there, dressed in some dark jeans and a black tee. He had a pair of dark shades hanging off the collar of his shirt and a dark cap was pulled low on his head.

“Hey!” Lily offered up a warm smile.

“Hi.” Alex chuckled low at her enthusiastic greeting then turned his gaze to Brielle. She didn’t look too different than she had when he’d seen her a week ago, except her the dark circles under her eyes had faded and her skin had a bit of a healthier glow to it. “You look much more rested.”

Brielle chuckled. “Lily hasn’t let me do anything other than that.”

He nodded some. “Good, you needed the rest.”

“Yeah, but now I’m ready to get out and do something.”

“Not until she sees a doctor, though,” Lily piped up as she grabbed one of their bags and heaved it off the conveyor belt. “We need to find her a good ob-gyn.”

Alex made a face; that thought hadn’t even crossed his mind since he’d returned back to California. “I…have no idea how to do that.”

“We could ask your fiancée who she sees. Maybe she can recommend someone.” She set the bag by Brielle and Alex then moved back, prepared to snag another.

“Yeah, I don’t know about that.”

“She doesn’t want to see me, does she?” Brielle glanced to Alex. “I’m okay with that. I don’t want to put you in the middle of anything; she’s your fiancée.”

“No,” he shook his head, “she does want to meet you, but…I don’t know how cordial she’ll be or friendly with offering advice or help. She may take awhile to warm up to you.”

“We’ll find someone.” Lily returned with another bag. “I could call my doctor’s office and see if they have anyone they know of out here.”

“That sounds good,” the older male agreed.

“And in the meantime-”

“No,” the blonde waved a finger at her friend, “I am not going to rest and take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I’m sick of resting. I’m supposed to be coming out here to visit and check the place out. I can’t do that if I’m stuck in bed all day.”

“She has a point.” Alex turned to Lily.

Lily sighed and collected another bag. “Alright, but please don’t overdo it. I just don’t want another incident like what happened last week to occur.”

“Yes, Mother,” Brielle teased her friend.

Alex chuckled then helped the girls collect the rest of their baggage. They loaded it up on a trolley then he led the way out of the airport building and into the parking garage. He located his black Porsche Cayenne and tucked the suitcases into the back. After making sure the girls were settled, he climbed behind the wheel then started the SUV and pulled from the spot. Maneuvering the vehicle from the garage, Alex took the parking ticket and handed the parking booth operator a ten. He told him to keep the change, then flipped the visor down and pulled away from the airport, heading in the direction of his home.

“Wow, it’s so beautiful out here,” Brielle breathed from her place in the front passenger seat.

“Oh, this ain’t nothing,” Alex glanced to her from behind his shades then back to the road, “wait till you see the beach and the ocean.”

“Can you see the beach from your house?” She turned her attention away from the outside to the driver.

“Not from my home now, but when I lived in Malibu you could from the backyard.”

“That’s awesome.”

“Yeah, it’s pretty nice.” He glanced to her and gave a grin.

Brielle returned the smile then focused on their surroundings again.

“So, did you guys have a good flight?” Alex questioned after a few moments of silence that involved both Lily and Brielle glued to the windows.

Lily glanced towards the front, leaning up some so they could hear her better. “It wasn’t bad, except that Brielle had to use the bathroom like, every fifteen minutes. I finally made her switch seats with me so she wouldn’t keep climbing over me.”

The girl in question poked her tongue out at the brunette. “It’s not my fault; you’re the one that’s making me drink so much water.”

“How’d you like first class?”

Brielle turned away from Lily. “Oh gosh, it was so awesome, but you really didn’t have to do that.”

He turned his eyes away from the road and over to her. “I wanted you to be comfortable. It’s a long ass flight and I know how cramped coach can get.”

“Well, we appreciated it greatly, didn’t we, Lily?”

Lily leaned forward again and nodded. “Yes, we really did. We owe you quite a lot, Alex; for that and letting us come out here and stay.”

He shook his head. “You girls don’t owe me anything.”

Brielle slouched some in her seat. Somehow, she doubted that. This man was doing much, much more than paying for first class tickets and opening his home to her; he was trying to save her from a life of homelessness and despair. He was trying to give her a fresh start. She really needed to be more grateful and appreciative, because he didn’t have to be doing any of this. “I’ll make it up to you one day.” She reached and touched his arm.

Alex glanced to her, ready to object again, but there was something in her eyes that stopped him. She wasn’t talking about the plane tickets or the visit to LA; she was meaning something much deeper. So instead of objecting, he reached and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. “Are you guys hungry?”

“Starved; there’s no way what they fed us on the plane could even count as being food.”

Brielle laughed low at that. “Yeah, it wasn’t very good.”

Alex made a face. “Well, my housekeeper was making up something for us when I left, so she should have it finished by now.” He steered the SUV off the expressway and took a left, heading towards a more mountainous region.

“You have a housekeeper?”

“Yeah,” he glanced over towards the blonde and chuckled, “does that surprise you?”

She shrugged. “I guess I never thought about it.”

“She’s just part time though, but I asked her to make up something nutritious for you girls. I figured you’d be hungry.”

“It’s not like, brussel sprouts, is it?” Brielle wrinkled her nose. “Ew, or liver?”

“Hell no.” He made his own face and laughed. “It’s going to be healthy, but still taste good. I think it’s some chicken and pasta dish.”

“Oh, that sounds good.” She settled back in the seat and watched as Alex maneuvered them along a winding road. She could just barely make out the enormous homes that sat off the road hidden from view by trees or their own long driveways.

Soon, Alex pulled up before black wrought iron gates and pushed a button, causing them to swing open. He slowly steered through them and continued on up a drive, swinging the SUV around the circular drive and stopping before a two story, Mediterranean styled home that sprawled out over a beautifully, manicured green lawn.

“This is beautiful,” Brielle remarked as she unbuckled and took in the French doors at the entrance and the large windows on either side.

Alex removed his own buckle and pulled the keys from the ignition. “Thank you.” He slipped from the SUV and moved around to her side.

“Holy shit!” Lily hissed to her friend before their host opened her door.

Brielle could only nod then thanked Alex for getting her door. She climbed from the vehicle as he pulled open Lily’s door then moved to the back and began gathering the bags. Together, the three of them carried them up to the front doors and inside, once Alex got them unlocked. He gave them a quick show of the foyer then led the way up the winding stairs and down the hall to the bedrooms. After directing them to their own rooms, he excused himself and headed back downstairs to check on dinner.

Brielle took a moment to survey the room which was decorated in deep wood colors and offered a calming tone. She opened the curtains hanging over a large window and smiled as the sun filtered in to give the room a warmer ambience. Then she went about putting what little clothing she had into the closet and set her hygiene products up in the bathroom off the guest bedroom. Across the hall, Lily was doing the same and then quickly joined her friend after stashing her suitcases under the bed.

“Can you believe this place?” She questioned her friend as she sprawled across the bed and used a pillow to prop herself up with.

Brielle folded her duffle bag up and tucked it into the empty suitcase. “It’s really nice.”

“The tub in my room has clawed feet.”

“So does mine.” She chuckled and pushed the suitcase under the bed then stood.

“You sure lucked out with who your baby’s daddy is.”

Brielle frowned at her friend. “Lily, this has nothing to do with money.”

“I know, I know,” she held up a hand, “I was being silly.”

“Well, just be careful, the wrong person may overhear you and I don’t want any drama.” She joined her friend on the bed. “It’s going to be tough enough with his fiancée, I don’t want to have to deal with his friends or someone telling him we’re just doing this because he has money.”

Lily sighed and pulled herself into a sitting position, pushing the pillow to the side. “Brie, we know that you’re not doing this for the money and Alex knows that too.”

“You don’t know that for sure.”

“No, but I’m fairly certain,” she brushed her hair behind her shoulders, “he knows why you’re out here.”

Brielle nodded and glanced around the room, blinking when her stomach gave a loud rumble. Covering it with both hands, she blushed. “Oops.”

Lily laughed. “Aww, Brie, you’re starving.” Sliding from the bed, she smoothed her shirt and motioned to her friend. “C’mon, let’s go feed you.”

Together, the two girls headed from the room and down the long hall back to the stairs.

“After we eat, maybe he’ll give us a tour of this place,” Lily spoke as she and Brielle descended the steps into the foyer.

“That’d be nice; that way we wouldn’t get lost.”

“I think it’s probably easier to maneuver your way around here then you think.” The brunette stood at the bottom of the stairs and peered around, as if she was trying to decide which way would lead them to the kitchen.

Brielle opened her mouth to respond when the sound of front door behind them interrupted her. Slowly, she turned to see a tall guy with blond hair and stunning blue eyes entering into the house. He stopped short at the sight of the two girls and frowned slightly like he was trying to recall if he knew them.

“Um, hi,” Lily spoke up, giving a small wave.

The blond man’s brows drew together and he slowly shut the door behind him. “Hi,” his gaze drifted between the two friends, “who are you?”

“Nick!” Alex’s voice boomed from down the hall and he quickly sauntered into the room, looking rather confused at the sight of the other man. “What are you doing here?”

The man, now identified as Nick, looked to his friend. “I’m here for dinner.”

“Dinner?” Alex’s brows lifted.

“Yeah,” Nick glanced to Brielle and Lily then back to Alex, “Renee invited me. Said you’re having a dinner party and she’s invited all the guys.”

Alex felt the blood draining from his head. “Renee…invited you to dinner tonight? Here?”

Nick nodded some. “Yeah, she said you had some announcement.”

Brielle felt her own blood draining and grabbed Lily’s arm for support.

Alex felt like he’d just been kicked in the gut; what the hell was his fiancée trying to do? “Um…who is ‘all the guys’?”

“You don’t even know who she invited?” He laughed some. “Geeze, bro…um, I’m assuming from the way she talked; Howie, Bri and I think Kevin too.”

He nearly fell over. “Howie, Bri and Kevin? They’re coming here for dinner…tonight?”

“Yeah,” Nick was looking at him like he had grown a second head, “are you alright? You look a little green.”

Alex glanced over to Brielle to see her face had paled considerably. “Um, actually, Nick-”

“There you are!”

All eyes turned to see Renee sauntering into the room, a smile plastered over her thin lips.

“Renee,” Alex choked out, feeling his own head growing light.

She patted his arm then moved and took Nick’s hand. “Come on in, Nick. Glad you’re here, you’re actually first to arrive.”

Nick blinked some and allowed her to lead him past the girls and Alex. “Um…cool.” He sent her a questioning look then glanced back towards the two girls he still hadn’t been introduced to.

“Renee,” Alex frowned at his fiancée, “what’s going on?”

“Oh, Alex,” she sent him a sickening sweet smile, “did you forget? This is your dinner party.”

“My…dinner party?”

“Mmhmm,” her eyes drifted to the two newcomers and she frowned then quickly wiped it from her face, “to welcome your guests and so you can tell your bandmates the great news.”

He frowned. “I think that you and I need to step outside for a moment.”

“We don’t have time for that, honey bun.” Then she turned her attention back to Nick. “You didn’t bring a date.”

“Yeah, Laurel had made other plans already, but she sends her best,” he explained about his girlfriend of nearly a year.

“Renee?” Alex was quickly losing his patience.

But she brushed him off again and finally looked to the two girls who were watching the event unfold with wide eyes. “Hope you like chicken lasagna, we’re going to have a houseful so make sure you grab a chair.” And then she sauntered off down the hall towards the kitchen.

Brielle gaped at her retreating form, thinking this really couldn’t be happening. A strangled sound slipped from her mouth and she glanced to Alex; was he really going to let all this unfold? But he was watching her with as bewildered expression as she had.

“Um…I’ll….go talk to her.” Then he turned and fled down the hall after her, leaving Lily and Brielle with a confused Nick.

“Well, that was awkward,” The blond male spoke up, turning his full attention onto the two girls. But if only he knew how awkward things were really going to get.

Chapter Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
Have another update for you! Much, much thanks for all the feedback! I love reading what you think and hope you'll continue to let me know. Enjoy!

 

Alex caught up with Renee just outside the kitchen. Taking hold of her arm, he firmly tugged her into a nearby bathroom and closed the door. “What the hell are you doing?”

Renee watched up at him with the most innocent gaze she could muster. “I’m going to check on dinner.”

“Oh cut the crap, Renee,” his dark eyes flashed, “what stunt are you trying to pull inviting everyone over here tonight?”

“I’m not trying to pull any stunt, Alex. I just thought it’d be nice to introduce Brielle to your band mates and tell them the good news.” A shrug. “Wouldn’t you rather they hear it from you before tabloids start throwing the gossip around?”

“I would rather you not have set up this little soiree and let me handle things myself.”

“Yeah, we all know how you handle things, Alex,” she frowned and pulled his hand from her arm, “with about a dozen bottles of Jack Daniels.”

It felt like she’d slapped him in the face. All he could do was stare at her with his mouth open.

Renee smirked. “Go entertain the guests; I’m going to check on dinner.” And then she sashayed from the bathroom like there was no problem whatsoever.

It took a moment for Alex to gather his senses before he could exit the room, his mind still reeling with what Renee had set up. He couldn’t even believe that she would pull something like this. Was she still that upset about it that she would put both him and Brielle in an awkward position? She should have said something before he’d flown her and her friend out, instead of scheming to embarrass everyone. They were going to have a nice, long talk later on; he was sure about that. In the meantime, he needed to do some damage control before things got too bad.

Hurrying back up the hall to the foyer, Alex gave an inward groan as he spotted Brian and Leighanne Littrell introducing themselves to Brielle and Lily. “Um, hey guys,” he greeted the couple, coming up behind the two girls and touching Brielle’s side in a reassuring gesture. She looked like a deer caught in headlights and he had to swallow back the guilt that was rising up in his throat.

“Aje, how’s it goin’, man?” Brian turned to his friend and enveloped him in a hug. “You look good.”

He didn’t know how he was disguising the nerves, but he was grateful they couldn’t pick up on it. “Hey, bro, it’s goin’. How are you?” He returned the hug then greeted Leighanne with a kiss on the cheek and a hug as well. “Nice to see you both.”

“Where’s Renee?” Leighanee adjusted some bracelets on her wrist and glanced around the foyer.

“She’s in the kitchen, checking on the food.” He thumbed behind him. “You’re welcome to join her.”

“I think I will.” She gave her husband’s arm a squeeze and excused herself then slipped from the group in search of her friend.

“So,” Brian looked between Alex and the two girls he’d just met, “are you girls from around here?”

“We’re from New York,” Lily spoke up.

“That’s a long ways to come for a dinner party,” Nick interjected from where he was leaning against a table.

Brielle shifted on her feet, wishing she could flee up the stairs and hide out in her room the rest of the night. “Um, we’re out here visiting Alex.”

“Right,” Alex agreed, coming to their aid. “Lily and Brielle got in today, actually. They’ll be here a week or so.”

Brian nodded some then gave a broad grin, showing off his dimples. “We’re glad you’re here and I hope this guy treats you okay.” He motioned towards Alex. “He gives you any problems, just let me know.”

Lily chuckled. “We’ll remember that.”

“So, how do you two know our boy here?” Nick joined the group, clasping his friend’s shoulder and giving it a small shake.

Brielle shared a look with Alex, her insides twisting. “Um…”

“We met awhile back,” he quickly inserted. “When I was doing some work in New York for my album.”

“That was a couple months ago, right?” Nick peered down into Alex’s face. He was very curious as to what was going on. From the minute he’d come in the door he’d felt the tension and he wasn’t blind, he’d seen the expressions on Alex’s and the two girls’ faces to know that something was going down. Not to mention the angry look Renee had flashed while she’d pretended to play nice. Something was definitely up.

The tattooed male nodded his head, slipping from Nick’s grasp and smoothing his shirt. “Right, back in September.”

Brian lifted his brows and turned to Lily and Brielle. “Well, you two must have made quite an impression if he’s invited you way out here to visit.”

“You have no idea,” Brielle muttered then jerked when Lily elbowed her side. “Ouch.” She rubbed her ribs and frowned at the brunette.

“So um, how ‘bout we take this into the living room.” Alex motioned towards the room off the foyer then led everyone down the steps into it. “Make yourselves at home.” He motioned towards the black leather couches then sank down into a matching armchair.

“Where are the rest of your guests?” Brian situated himself onto one of the sofa’s, Nick next to him and Brielle and Lily taking the other.

Alex shrugged. “I have no idea. I’m sure they’ll be here soon.”

Nick looked to Brian. “Kevin’s coming.”

The shorter man’s brows went up in surprise. “No kidding.”

“Mmhmm and Renee said Alex has an announcement for us.”

Both sets of blue eyes turned to their friend. “An announcement,” Brian’s southern drawl slipped into his speech.

Alex shifted some, fiddling with the rings on his fingers. “Um…” his eyes shifted to Brielle then back again, “we should wait for the others.”

Nick followed Alex’s gaze over to the blonde and studied her expression, noting the pale skin and nervousness in her eyes. “They’ll probably be here soon.”

Lily cleared her throat and clasped her hands together. She had seen Nick scrutinizing her friend and decided it was time to change the subject. “So, how long have you all known each other?”

The three men exchanged glances. “For about sixteen years,” Brian answered the question, turning back to Lily.

“Wow,” she nodded some, “and how long have you been in the group?”

“About sixteen years.” He chuckled and the corners of his eyes wrinkled.

“Actually, Nick and I have known each other a little longer. Brian didn’t join up with us until we were forming the group.” Alex thumbed between himself and the blond man.

“Hello?” A voice called out from the foyer, interrupting the conversation.

Alex pushed himself to his feet. “We’re in here.”

A moment later, two couples descended into the room and both Brian and Nick rose to their feet as well.

Brielle watched as the men greeted each other with hugs and slaps to the back and kisses to the cheeks of the two females. They chatted for a moment or so before all eyes landed on her and Lily and she swallowed hard.

“Hey.” Lily gave a wave then stood. “I’m Lily and this is Brielle,” she introduced the other girl then offered her hand to the newcomers. Might as well just dive in and get this over with. And later tonight, she would start planning on how to get back at Renee, because this was absolutely uncalled her. Brielle was coming out to see the city and get to know Alex a little better, not to be humiliated in front of his friends and made to feel ashamed of herself.

Brielle rose as well and shook their hands while Alex introduced Kevin and his wife, Kristin and Howie and his wife, Leigh.

“So, what’s this dinner party all about?” Kevin questioned as everyone took seats again. “I’ve never known you to throw a dinner party, Alex.”

“I know, this is quite new,” Howie teased his friend.

Alex chuckled then glanced over to his fiancée as she entered the room with Leighanne. “Well, to be honest, this was all Renee’s doing.”

She smirked and sank down onto the arm of the chair Alex was in. “But it’s in his and Brielle’s honor.”

Nick’s brows drew together and he looked to Brielle then his friend and back to Renee. “Is there something we should know?”

Brielle really thought she might get sick; her stomach was twisting into all kinds of knots and she was starting to feel very lightheaded. She gripped Lily’s arm and gave it a tight squeeze.

Lily squirmed some and carefully tugged her arm free of the vice-like grip. “Actually, to be honest, it’s not anyone’s business but Alex and Brielle…and maybe Renee.”

Brielle grabbed her arm again. “What are you doing,” she hissed from the corner of her mouth.

“Renee invited you guys over so she could humiliate my friend and her own fiancé. Who does something like that?” She ignored the blonde and continued with what was on her mind.

Renee’s eyes flashed. “You have no business saying that, little girl.”

Lily arched her brows and rose to her feet. “Care to say that again?”

“Lily!” Brielle tugged her back down.

“I’m sorry, Brie, but I can’t just sit here while that woman tries to make you look like nothing but a two cent whore.”

“Well, if the shoe fits.”

“Okay, that’s enough!” Alex interrupted as he stood up. He frowned at Renee. “I thought you were a better kind of person then someone who would pull a stunt like this. If you were still upset about what’s going on, you should have told me. Not gone behind my back and put together a fucken party!” He waved his arm towards Brielle and Lily. “You don’t even know those girls; I’ve invited them into my home as my guests and this is how you treat them? This is how they’re welcomed?”

Renee met his frown with one of her own. “You’re worried about their embarrassment? What about my own? How do you think I’m going to feel when it comes out? Have you even stopped to consider my feelings in any of this?”

“Of course I have. But you said you were okay with it.” He arched a brow. “Were you lying?”

“Of course I was lying, you moron! Do you seriously think I’d be okay?”

Alex bit the inside of his cheek, trying to keep his emotions in check. In front of his guests was not where he wanted to be having this conversation. “Renee, we um…we need to talk about this later.”

“Later?” She looked off then to him again. “Heh, of course it’d be later. We all know what comes first to you now. Take all the time you need, Alex,” she sneered his name, “but don’t think I’m just going to sit around and wait for you.” Then she whirled on her heel and stalked from the room.

Alex watched her go and ran a hand over his face. Shit. Shit, shit, shit, mother fucken shit.

Kevin cleared his throat from where he sat watching the scene unfold. “Maybe we should go.”

“That might be a good idea,” Leighanne agreed.

“No,” Brielle stood up, “you guys stay. I’ll um…I’ll go.” She took a hesitant step then turned and fled the room, heading for the stairs. Coming out here had been a bad, very bad idea and she should never have done it. What had she been thinking? It was only going to disrupt his life and now he was losing his fiancée; all because of her. She was going to pack her things and get the first flight home she could.

“Brielle-”

Lily rose as well, but Alex held a hand up. “I’ll go talk to her.” She nodded and he excused himself and hurried off after her.

She was nearly up the stairs when he reached them. “Brielle.”

She slowed, hesitated then turned to face him, her hand on the banister. “I’m sorry.”

“No,” Alex shook his head and slowly started up the steps, “this isn’t your fault. I’m the one that should be apologizing. Renee was way out of line.”

“No, she wasn’t. She has a right to be upset and I’m sorry for coming out here and invading what’s hers.”

“Hey,” he reached her and took her free hand, forcing their eyes to meet, “don’t say that. She told me to have you come out. She told me she was okay. This is my fault, not yours.”

She pulled her hand from his and took a breath, trying to keep her tears at bay. “I should never have come.”

“Hey now.” He reached for her hand again, but she kept it from him.

“It’s true.” Her teary blue eyes met his deep ones. “It was all a big mistake. Look how it’s interrupting your life and what it’s going to do to you when your friends find out. What they’ll think, how they’ll act.”

This time, Alex reached for her shoulder and gently urged her down onto the step, taking the spot next to her. “I’m not the kind of person who cares what anyone else thinks of me or my life. If I did, I wouldn’t be the person I am. You should see how I was back in the day; the clothes I’d wear, all the colors I’d do my hair in.” He rested his arms on his knees. “I may have tamed my wardrobe and hairstyle, but I’m still the same person. People are going to think what they think and if we let it start affecting how we live our lives then we’re not being true to ourselves.”

“But these are your friends and you couldn’t even tell them.”

He looked to her. “You want me to tell them?”

Brielle sniffed and wiped at her cheeks. “No, not like this. But they’re going to find out…I can’t hide my appearance and eventually it’s going to show and when they do realize…who knows how they’ll react. They’re your friends …your family and they’re going to hate me and think you’ve gone off your rocker having me out here and trying to take care of me.”

“I could care less if they think I’ve gone off my rocker.”

“Don’t say that.” She shook her head and looked to him. “They’re your life and you should care what important people in your life think.”

Alex reached and took her petite hand in his large one. “Hey, they know that I march to the beat of my own drum and the important people in my life accept me that way. The baby news will shock them, but it’s not going to turn them against me and they aren’t going to hate you.”

Brielle sighed some, mulling it over in her head. “I just don’t want to mess up your life and I’m not even here an hour and I already am.”

“Are you talking about Renee?”

She nodded and wrapped her arms around herself in a self-comforting gesture. “She hates you.” She cast her eyes his way. “And you didn’t go after her, but you came after me.”

He chuckled low at that. “Going after her would have only made it worse. When we fight like that…we both have to take a step back and just let things calm down for a bit. I’ll go talk to her tomorrow and I’m sure we’ll smooth things over.” He nudged her shoulder gently with his. “Don’t you worry about Renee and me, you just worry about yourself.”

“I’m sorry.” She cleared her throat some and sat up straight. “I just don’t want to screw things up for you.”

“Brielle, you’re not screwing things up for me. I had a hand in putting us in this situation and I invited you out here knowing the repercussions that could come,” his tone was serious, but his eyes were tender.”And I do plan on telling my friends and family, but on my own time and in my own way; not being forced into it like Renee was trying to do.” His voice softened, “And I’m really sorry for that, by the way.”

“It’s not your fault,” she tugged the sleeves of her thin jacket down over her hands, “you were as blindsided as I was.”

He dropped his head into his hands. “I can’t believe she did that.”

“At least it was your friends and not strangers or the news.”

Alex chuckled low at that. “I guess that’s something to be grateful for.”

She nodded some then cast her eyes down the stairs. “We left Lily alone with everyone.”

“Guess we should get back down there, huh?”

Her blue eyes shifted his way. “Are you going to send them all home?”

“No,” Alex shook his head, “they came over here expecting dinner and there’s some yummy chicken lasagna waiting to be served. Besides, you and Lily are hungry and I imagine the others are too. I think we could pull off a successful dinner party while avoiding the topic of this “announcement” they came over expecting to hear.” He blinked. “If you’re okay with them being there, that is. If you’re gonna be uncomfortable, I can send them on their way.”

Brielle shook her head and rose to her feet, dusting the back of her pants off. “No, don’t send them away because of me. I think I’ll be okay.”

“Good.” He stood and smoothed his shirt then offered his arm. “Shall we?”

“Yes, we shall.” She took his arm then together they descended on down the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, you and Lily are from New York?”

Brielle turned to see Leighanne had joined her at the kitchen counter where she was refilling her iced tea. “We are.”

The older blonde woman leaned her hip against the counter. “And how did you meet Alex?”

“Um…at a bar; he picked up my tab after seeing I had lost my money.” She set the pitcher of tea back down and took up her glass.

“Alex was at a bar?” She lifted a brow.

Brielle nodded. “Yeah, and he paid my tab and we just started talking.”

“Did you sleep with him?”

The younger woman blinked, feeling the pulse in her neck skip a beat. “Um…say what?”

Leighanne laughed and waved a hand. “Nevermind, forget I asked that.”

“Uh…okay.” Brielle watched her with uncertain eyes.

After returning back to the living room, Brielle and Alex had found Lily in a game of charades with the rest of Alex’s guests. Things seemed to be more relaxed and so the two joined the others before finally moving everyone to the dining room to enjoy the chicken lasagna and garlic breadsticks their host’s housekeeper had made up. The dinner was delicious and the conversation had been easy going; no one inquiring about any announcements. Most of the dinner had been preoccupied with the men sitting around trying to one up each other with hilarious predicaments they had found themselves in. Quite a few centered around their careers and dealt with traveling or the fans and for the first time in a long time, Brielle had found herself genuinely laughing and enjoying herself.

After dinner had finished, the group moved back into the living room to relax and have casual conversation and Brielle had slipped into the kitchen to refill her drink, which is where Leighanne had found her.

Leighanne chuckled and folded her arms in front of her. “How long are you going to be staying?”

“A week or so.” She shrugged. “We don’t really have a specific date.”

“You have any plans yet?”

“Not yet. We’ll probably take some sights in.” She felt like she was in an interview.

Leighanne pushed herself from the counter and stood straight. “Well, welcome to LA, I hope you have a good time.”

Brielle smiled. “Thank you.”

Leighanne nodded then excused herself and slipped from the room just as Alex entered. He watched her go then turned to Brielle. “How ya holding up?”

“I’m okay.” She studied him a moment. “How are you doing?”

Alex chuckled and took a clean mug from his cabinet. “I’m doing alright. I think everyone has successfully stayed off of the topic of the big announcement; though I know Nick is dying to find out. He keeps looking at me and twitching.” He laughed at that thought and shook his head. “But they’re behaving; though I have a feeling they know it must be something very big.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He poured himself some coffee.

Brielle shifted and fiddled with the glass in her hands. “Um…they may already have an idea of what it is.”

Alex lifted a brow. “Why do you say that?” He lifted his mug to take a sip.

She hesitated then dove right in. “Leighanne asked me if we’d slept together.”

Coffee went spraying from Alex’s mouth at that statement.

Brielle jumped back, her eyes wide. “Oh, oh…oh, are you alright?”

He swiped a napkin from the counter and wiped his chin. “Yeah, did you just say that Leighanne asked if we’d slept together?”

“Um…yeah.” She took some paper towels from the roll next to the sink and wiped the counter of the coffee that’d landed there. “She asked how we’d met and I told her it was at a bar and you’d picked up my tab.” She bawled the paper towels and tossed them into the nearby trashcan. “Then she asked if we’d slept together.”

The tattooed man stared at her. “What…what did you say?”

“Nothing. She told me nevermind and to forget she asked that.”

He frowned. “I’m sorry. Leighanne has been one to always speak her mind.”

“You don’t have to apologize to me.” Brielle took up her iced tea from where she’d set it to get the paper towels. “You didn’t ask the question and I think anyone’s mind would have gone there.” A shrug. “I’m sure this secretive announcement that has Renee extremely upset and you flying some strange girl out to visit has got them thinking along those lines.”

He sighed. “You may be right.”

She nodded and watched him, wishing she knew what to do to make everything better. The only thing that could do that at this moment was a time machine; something to take her back to that bar so she could change it all and walk out of there alone. Take it all back so that his life wouldn’t be screwed up. But Brielle was pretty sure there really was no such thing as a time machine and if there was…they didn’t work anyway.

“Hey.” Alex moved over and tilted her chin up to meet his face; he’d seen the expression that has crossed over her eyes and knew what she was thinking. “You really have to stop blaming yourself, here. We can’t go back and change anything, so we need to stop wishing we could. What’s done is done and all we can do now is work with what we’ve been given.”

“How can you be so positive about this?”

He didn’t have an answer he could give her, because he wasn’t so positive. Alex was scared out of his ever loving mind and the only thing that was keeping him going was that she was so worried. He knew someone needed to be strong and pretend like it was all okay, so he did just that. And when he was alone, then he could let his real feelings come through, because a person couldn’t hide them all the time.

“I don’t know,” he finally answered in a half whisper. “I’m just doing what I have to, to get us through this.”

She sighed at that, giving a slight nod in understanding.

A sound from the doorway caused both to turn and find Lily in the doorway.

“I hate to break up this touching moment, but they’re talking about playing some football and I was sent to collect you,” she pointed at Alex.

He laughed low. “Football, huh, and they think me and my chicken legs will be of any use to them? Alright, they know what they’re getting into.” He gave Brielle’s arm a squeeze then slipped past Lily and headed back for the living room.

Lily watched him go then turned back to her friend. “You alright?”

“Yeah.” She sighed and set her drink to the side.

Lily was silent for a moment, just observing the blonde. “Are you regretting coming out here?” She finally questioned.

Brielle sighed and ran her fingers through her long locks. “I don’t know; part of me is because of what it’s doing to his life, but I’m sort of glad I came out here too.”

“It’s going to be hard, Brie, but I think everything will work itself out, it always manages to do so.”

“What if Renee doesn’t want to marry him anymore?”

Lily shrugged. “Then she isn’t the type of person he needs to be with. He’s having a baby and if his fiancée can’t support him and be there for what he needs, then obviously she isn’t the one he should be with.”

“Don’t say that.” Brielle turned away. “Of course she’s going to be upset and angry, it’s only natural.”

“Yes, but once the dust has settled and if she still feels the same way, then they both need to part ways and get on with their lives.” The brunette moved around her so they faced each other again. “He’ll find the right person who will accept him and all of his baggage.” She touched her hand. “Not someone who will pull a ridiculous prank so she can feel good about humiliating everyone.”

Brielle studied her friend’s face for a moment. “Maybe you’re right,” she finally relented.

“I know I am. Now c’mon, buck up and put those sad feelings away. I think the football players may need a few cheerleaders.”

She wrinkled her nose. “You know I hate cheerleaders.”

“You do know I was one in high school, right?”

Brielle chuckled and slipped her arm around her friend’s. “You’re the one exception.”

“Good,” she tugged her arm gently and started for the doorway, “now let’s go see what kind of trouble these guys are getting themselves into.”

“At their age, something tells me it might be a lot.”

Lily laughed. “We may want to take some ice or heating pads out there with us.”

“Just take the telephone in case we need to call 911.”

“I hear ya.” Lily led her friend down the hall towards the back patio doors off the den. “I’m glad you’re feeling better.”

Brielle shrugged. “I’m disguising it.”

“Well, keep doing it. We want the rest of this trip to be fun and drama free.”

“One can wish.” And she most certainly was.

Chapter Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks again for the feedback! I always appreciate it! Hope you enjoy this next chapter and please let me know how you think it ended. I feel something's changing and would like your thoughts on it. Hehe thanks and enjoy!

 

Two days later found Brielle and Lily lounging around Alex’s living room. He’d left a couple hours earlier to try and smooth things over with Renee and told the two girls to make themselves at home. They’d spent the last hour trying to beat the high score on his old school arcade Pac-Man game in his game room. Finally, after coming close one too many times, the girls migrated to the kitchen for snacks and were now stretched out on his leather sofa’s munching on grapes.

“Maybe we watch a movie,” Brielle suggested before tossing a grape up into the air and catching it into her mouth.

Lily made a face. “I want to go out somewhere. It looks so nice outside and we’re in LA and it’s December; we should be out there exploring.”

“Maybe Alex will be back soon and we can do that.” She glanced to the large clock in the corner.

“Probably won’t be for awhile. You know how making up goes; first you talk and talk and maybe fight some more, then you cry and talk and reason and finally agree and then comes the hot makeup sex which could take hours in itself.”

Brielle chuckled. “Speaking from experience, huh?”

“Absolutely.” Lily sent her a devious little grin.

The blonde chuckled and plucked another grape into her mouth. “You think he would mind us borrowing his vehicle?”

“Didn’t he say we could do that?” Lily sat up and set her bowl of grapes onto the coffee table. “I’m sure it has a GPS so we won’t get lost.”

But Brielle wasn’t sure she was entirely comfortable with the idea. “I don’t know, Lil, what if something happened? What if we wrecked it?”

“I’m sure he has full insurance.”

“I haven’t driven a car since high school.”

“Then I’ll drive.”

Brielle studied her friend. “I don’t know.”

“C’mon, Brie, it’ll beat sitting around here all day like two bumps on a log.”

She chewed her bottom lip. “Maybe we just wait for Alex.”

“He might not even be home till tonight.” Lily flopped back into the couch.

“He knows we’re here, I don’t think he’d be gone all day. He isn’t that rude.”

“Who isn’t rude?”

Both girls looked to see Alex stepping down into the living room. He crossed to an armchair and sank into it, pulling the lever to extend the legrest and stretch out.

“This guy in this movie we saw,” Brielle quickly spoke, glancing to Lily then back to their host. “How’d it go?”

He sighed and rubbed his face with both hands. “She still won’t talk to me.”

“Ooh, Alex, I’m so sorry.” She pouted and wished he were closer so she could touch him and offer support.

“S’okay,” he shrugged and lowered his hands, “she hasn’t given the ring back though, so that has to mean something, right?”

Both girls exchanged looks.

“What?” Alex watched between them.

Lily wet her lip then took a breath and spoke, “Have you considered that maybe you should take that as a sign?”

“A sign?” He lifted a brow.

“Yeah,” she tucked some hair behind her ear, “maybe you and Renee need some space.”

“She obviously seems to want some and I’m not gonna keep pushing her to talk to me.”

“Good, cuz that isn’t healthy for either of you.” She paused. “And sitting around here moping isn’t healthy either. How ‘bout we go out and do something.”

He lifted a brow. “What do you wanna go do?”

“Get out of the house.”

Alex chuckled. “Alright, I’ll take you out and we can see what kind of trouble we can get into.”

“Score!” Lily pushed herself to her feet and grabbed up her bowl of grapes just as her cell phone chirped from her pocket. “Oh, that’s me.” He slipped it from her pocket and lifted it to her ear. “Hello?”

Brielle stood as well, taking up her own fruit and glancing to her friend as she answered the phone.

“Oh, hi,” Lily sent her look as she greeted the caller on the other end, “thank you so much for calling me back.” She listened for a moment then nodded. “Yes, we would really appreciate if you could recommend someone out here.”

Alex watched her then looked to Brielle. “Must be her doctor’s office back in New York.”

“I’m guessing,” Brielle agreed before heading towards the kitchen to put the grapes into the fridge. She took Lily’s from her then strode down the hall and into the marble and granite kitchen. After tucking the grapes back into the refrigerator, she washed then dried her hands and strode back to the living room.

Lily was just finishing up her conversation and thanked the caller then lowered the phone and severed the call. “That was my doctor’s office,” she lifted a piece of paper she’d jotted a number down on and waved it at Brielle, “the office assistant gave me a number for a Dr. Morraseu. It’s a woman since I figured you’d be more comfortable with that.”

Brielle took the piece of paper and studied the number. “She any good?”

“She must be,” Lily chuckled, “they said she was one of the best.” Lily took the paper back and began dialing on her phone. “Let’s call and make you an appointment.”

“For today?”

“I doubt they have anything for today; it’s already after two, but for something soon. You were supposed to check in with your ob-gyn after you left the hospital, so we need to get you into one ASAP.”

Brielle nodded then sank back down onto the sofa, watching as Lily conversed with the doctor’s office and went about setting up an appointment. She wasn’t too eager to visit a doctor; the idea of something being wrong with the baby scared her to death. She felt okay, but if something had happened because she wasn’t taking enough care of herself, she didn’t know what she’d do.

“Okay,” Lily set her phone down and looked over the notes she’d taken, “they can get you in Friday morning at nine. She gave me the address so we can look up the directions.”

“We can use the GPS, but I may know the area,” Alex spoke up from where he’d been observing the two.

Brielle turned her baby blue’s to him. “Are you coming with us?”

He sent her a half grin. “Of course; it’s my baby too.”

Brielle returned the grin; for some reason the thought of Alex being there with her made her feel somewhat better.

“Okay, so now that we got that settled, let’s go out.” Lily stood again and stretched. “You know what we need to do?” She tugged her shirt down over her midriff.

Alex rose to his feet and gathered his keys he’d tossed onto the coffee table. “What’s that?”

Lily cast her eyes to her friend then turned to their host. “Buy Brielle some new clothes. She’s starting to get a baby bump and doesn’t have anything that really fits her anymore.”

“Lily!” Brielle frowned; the last thing she wanted was anyone throwing money around for her.

“It’s true.” Lily shrugged. “What are you gonna do when you’re big as a house? You need some clothes.”

Alex lifted a brow and looked over to Brielle. “She’s right. Okay, how ‘bout we take you shopping and get some stuff?”

“You really don’t have to. I’ll…manage somehow.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he touched her shoulder and steered her towards the hallway, “I’m gonna buy you some new clothes. And you’re not gonna worry about me spending money on it.”

“Easier said than done,” she muttered, but allowed him to lead her along.

“I love clothes shopping,” Lily piped up as she grabbed their handbags from the small table they were on and handed Brielle’s over to her. “Ooh, maybe we can look at some baby clothes too. Wait until you get to start buying all the baby stuff; the clothes and toys and cribs and strollers, high chairs and, gosh, all the diapers.”

Brielle blinked at that, halting in her tracks and causing her friend to bump right into her.

“Brie!” Lily frowned at that.

“I…” she felt suddenly light headed. Brielle hadn’t even thought about all the things she’d have to buy for the baby and the thought of how much money it would take made her feel dizzy.

“Brie?” Alex gently took her elbow. “You okay?”

“I need to sit down,” she managed out and Alex steered her towards a chair.

“Brie?” Lily crouched down in front of her. “What’s wrong?”

Tears filled her blue eyes. “I can’t…I can’t afford all that stuff.”

“Oh, Brie,” she pouted and tucked some hair away from her friend’s face, “you don’t need to worry about that right now.”

“Yes, I do.” She wiped at her cheeks. “I…I can’t just ignore it until it’s time; then I’ll really be screwed.”

“Brielle,” Alex crouched next to Lily and took her hand, “you don’t have to worry about any of that.” His thumb smoothed on her soft skin. “You’re here with me now and I’m going to take care of you and our baby. And,” he continued before she could protest, “you aren’t going to worry about how much it costs.”

She wanted to argue with him, but the expression in his eyes told her he meant it and there was no sense in disagreeing. “Okay,” she finally relented, her shoulders drooping in defeat.

“Good.” He kissed her knuckles. “Now, let’s go get you some clothes.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Ugh, I can’t believe how much we bought!” Lily exclaimed, falling across her friend’s bed. “I’m exhausted; my feet hurt and I don’t want to see the inside of a dressing room again for a long, long time.”

Brielle chuckled and surveyed the bags that were strewn across the room. “I can’t believe it either. Though I have no idea how I’m supposed to fit all of it in my luggage to take back to New York with me.”

Lily shifted up onto her elbow. “You’re not gonna stay here?”

“Well…I don’t know…but this was just a visit. Do you think he wants me to stay?”

Lily gave a sigh and fell backwards again. “Of course he wants you to stay; he just spent a small fortune on you buying you maternity clothes and other necessities; if he didn’t want you to stay he wouldn’t have done so.”

Brielle bit the inside of her cheek. They had spent the last four hours scouring nearly every maternity shop within a fifteen mile radius it had felt like. Alex hadn’t batted one eye at any of the prices of how much he had bought. Of course, he hadn’t let the blonde know how much any of it cost, but she knew what the price tags said. It wasn’t like she’d spurred him on, she’d tried to keep it to a minimum, but he hadn’t let her. He’d been the one to encourage her to get everything she’d need and then some. Lily was right; she couldn’t up and leave now, not after he had spent all that money on her and was trying so hard to take care of her.

“I guess I don’t have to go back to New York.”

Lily smirked and sat up fully. “‘Atta girl; I think that’s a good decision.”

“He does seem to want me out here.”

“He does.” She watched her friend. “I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about anything ever again.”

Brielle made a face. “Well, at least until the kid is 18.”

“Don’t say that, Brie. I don’t think he’s that kind of a guy. And I don’t think he’s gonna just take care of the baby; I think he’s gonna take care of you too.”

Brielle shifted her eyes to her friend and pressed her lips together. “I think you’re right,” she finally relented.

“And even if his bitch of a girlfriend comes back into the picture, I don’t see him letting her walk all over you or him or the situation.” She reached and took Brielle’s hand.

“Oh geeze, I hope not, but let’s not talk about her.”

Lily chuckled. “Okay.” Her lively eyes surveyed the shopping bags around them. “How ‘bout we hang up your clothes and sort through the shoes and other things you got.”

“Do we have to? It’s so much stuff.”

“Aww, yes, we do.” She wiggled from the bed. “Now, c’mon. Be glad I don’t make you try it all on for me again.”

He friend made a face, but obliged and together the two began the arduous task of putting everything away.

A knock on the door sometime later drew their attention and Alex let himself into the room.

“Hey.” He looked the room over. “How’s it going in here?”

Lily looked up from where she was folding the canvas shopping bags and placing them in a pile. “We’re about finished.”

“Sweet. Are you ladies hungry?”

Brielle tilted her head some. “I’m starved actually. That pretzel we had didn’t hold me over for very long.”

Alex chuckled at that. “Well, you are eating for two now.”

“True,” she agreed, turning and hanging up another top. “We’re about done here.”

“Anything I can do to help?”

Lily gathered the bags in her arms. “You could take these and put them with the others that you have.”

“Sure thing.” He moved over to where she sat on the bed and accepted them from her. “Do you ladies want to order some take-out or should I make us up something?”

Brielle neatly arranged the clothing then fully emerged from the closet and shut the door behind her. “Do you cook?”

“Do I cook?” Alex lifted a brow and gave a snort. “Please, you ain’t had nothing yet until you’ve had something I’ve created.”

“Well then, what are we waiting for? Forget take-out; make us up one of your yummy dishes.” Lily nudged his arm gently.

He flashed a charming grin. “Alright, I shall be downstairs preparing a masterpiece if you two need me.” Then he winked at Brielle and strode from the room; canvas bags and all.

“A man that cooks; that is awesome.”

Brielle chuckled and sank down next to her friend. “Jordan hates to cook, doesn’t he?”

“Ugh, yes.” She wrinkled her nose. “His idea of cooking is throwing a TV dinner into the microwave. I’m the one that always has to actually prepare the meals.”

She laughed. “How do you suppose he’s getting by while you’re gone?”

“Easy; he goes to his parents.”

Brielle laughed again then gave a sigh and grew more serious. “I’m gonna miss you when you finally go back home.”

“Aww, Brie, don’t say those things.” Lily wrapped an arm around her friend’s. “We’ll see each other lots of times and talk on the phone probably every day.”

“It won’t be the same.”

“Of course not, but we aren’t going to lose touch. And when you have the baby, you know you won’t be able to keep me away.”

“Hey,” she turned to the brunette, “you and Jordan should move out here after you get married. Then we could all be together and when you have children, they can grow up with my baby.”

Lily chuckled at that. “That’s a sweet thought, but I don’t see Jordan going for it. You know he loves his job and we’ve already been looking at houses together just outside of the city.”

Her friend gasped. “You were? You mean, you were going to leave me all alone and move to the suburbs?”

“We hadn’t made any offers. We’re just looking.” A shrug. “You know that we want to get a house after we’re married.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” She rested her head against Lily’s shoulder. “I still say at least bring up the idea of moving to California. He can always get the same job out here; people need architects here as well. And court reporters,” she added, lightly pinching Lily’s arm and insinuating her friend’s own career.

“Well, I guess it can’t hurt just to mention it.”

Brielle gave a big grin and hugged her friend. “You’re the best, Lil!”

“And don’t you forget it.”

“I won’t.” She lifted her head. “I suppose we should go on downstairs, huh.”

“I guess so.” Lily slipped off the bed and Brielle joined her then, together, the two headed from the room and back down the steps.

A shorter, slightly rounded woman with red hair and wire framed glasses was in the foyer as they headed off the stairs. Upon seeing the two girls her eyes widened and she held a hand to her chest, uttering a low ‘oh my’.

The girls exchanged looks. “Um, hello,” Lily was the first to speak. “You must be Alex’s housekeeper. I’m Lily and this is Brielle,” she introduced them.

The woman’s brows drew together and she frowned. “I am no such thing.”

“Okay, here you go, Ma,” Alex’s voice came from the hallway leading into the kitchen just before he appeared in the foyer, holding a large glass of iced water. He caught sight of the girls and shifted his gaze quickly to his mother.

Ma? Brielle blinked and looked the older woman over, swallowing hard. This was Alex’s mother. Oh shit.

Beside her, Lily gave an uncomfortable laugh. “Oh, you’re his mom. Gosh, I’m so sorry I mistook you for the housekeeper. You see, we hadn’t met her yet and I saw you and…well, we had no idea that you were going to be here so naturally I thought that-”

Denise held up a hand, cutting her off. “It’s alright, dear.” Then she extended it towards Lily first then Brielle, giving each a warm shake. “I’m Denise and yes, I’m Alex’s mother.”

Her son moved up next to her and handed the water over. “She wasn’t supposed to be joining us until Friday, but she decided to come on out a few days early. She just showed up.” He motioned towards the bags that were set off to the side. “I was gonna come up and get you two, but you beat me to it.”

Denise gave a nod. “Well, I thought I might want more than just a couple days to get to know the woman who is having my grandchild.” She took a sip of her water, eyeing Brielle over the top.

Brielle bit her bottom lip, wishing she could slip behind Lily and out of the woman’s gaze. “Well um, it’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to finally meet you as well,” Denise echoed. “Alex has told me so much about you and I’m glad I could finally put a face to the name.”

“Oh,” she glanced over to Alex who sent her a warm grin, “well, I’m glad you could too.”

“I was just telling my mom that I was about to make some dinner. She showed up at the right time.”

“That’s right,” Denise agreed. “Us ladies can sit and get to know each other while my son slaves over a hot stove.”

“He seems to think he’s a pretty good cook.” Lily shifted her gaze his way then back to Denise.

Denise lifted her brows and looked at her son. “Oh, he’s a wonderful cook.” She turned back to the girls and smiled. “And I don’t just say that because I’m his mother.”

“Mom, we all know you’re biased.” Alex chuckled and gave her a little squeeze. “But she’s right; I’m a wonderful cook.”

“Alright, alright, go put your skills to good use and we shall see.” Lily waved him off. “Us ladies will be just fine out here.”

“She’s right, my dear. Go on and we’ll just sit and have a nice chat.” Denise patted his back then motioned towards the living room. “Why don’t we take a seat in here.”

Brielle glanced toward the living room then the hallway where Alex was heading. “You two go ahead, I’m gonna get something to drink first. Lily, do you want anything?”

Lily shook her head and Brielle hurried off down the hall and into the kitchen, finding Alex going through his cabinets.

He glanced over when she entered and shut them. “You okay?”

Brielle smoothed her top, wishing she had put something a little bit nicer on, which she would have had she known she was meeting his mother. “Um…yeah, just thirsty.”

“Oh, well let me get you something.” He reached for a clean glass. “What would you like?”

“Do you have any lemonade?”

He filled her glass with ice. “I do; that’s safe for you to drink, right?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Good.” He grinned some then took the pitcher from the fridge and proceeded to pour some of the icy beverage into her glass.

Brielle watched him do that. “So um, your mom is here.”

“Yeah, she is.” He couldn’t help the grin that formed at that thought. “I hadn’t seen her in awhile and I really wanted her to meet you.” He paused and set the pitcher onto the counter, turning his sensitive eyes onto her. “I um…I hope that’s okay with you. I’m sorry; I didn’t even think how you might handle it when I invited her out.”

“Oh,” she shook her head, “no, she’s your mother; if you want her to come visit she’s more than welcome to come visit. It is your house.”

“Well, yeah,” he sighed and shook his head some, “I should have come and talked to you about it first instead of just throwing you into the situation.”

“You don’t have to apologize to me. I’m sure she wanted to meet me and find out what’s going on just as badly as you wanted her to come out here. And I think we’re pretty even; I did kind of invite Lily to come out here without asking you first.”

He chuckled at that and handed her the glass. “She’s not an evil woman.”

“Oh, I know she’s not, she’s been nothing but supportive and helpful and she is my best friend.”

He laughed. “I was talking about my mom, not Lily.”

“Oh.”

Alex chuckled again and picked up the pitcher to put back into the fridge. “You’re cute.”

Brielle tucked some hair behind her ear and fiddled with the glass. “So, what’s your mom think about everything?” She didn’t want to go into this situation blind, unlike the one that Renee threw her into.

“Well, she wasn’t too happy about it, to be honest with you.” He shut the refrigerator then returned to the counter across from her. “But I think she’s slowly coming around. And I think that once she meets you and gets to know you; she’ll be okay. Which is why I wanted her to come out here. My mother can be a bit judgmental about things at first, but once she understands the situation she usually comes around.”

Brielle watched him, understanding somewhat where his mom was coming from. “Does um…she think I’m doing this to get something from you?”

He wet his bottom lip. “Honestly?” When she nodded, he continued, “Maybe a little bit. But that comes from being who I am and what I do. It’s just something celebrities have to deal with; too many people try to latch onto them for their own personal gain and so it’s hard sometimes to distinguish the real ones from the fake.” He reached and touched her cheek. “But once she gets to see the kind of person you are and gets to know you better, she’s going to realize that isn’t the case.”

“It’s really not.”

Her blue eyes were showing off her vulnerability and Alex had the strongest urge to pull her into his arms and hold her close. “I know it’s not,” he said softly before tucking a strand of her silky hair behind her ear and pulling his hand away.

She nodded some. “As long as you know that.”

“I do.” He studied her a moment, knowing he needed to bring this next part up before his mom did and Brielle end up angry with him. “She…wants me to do a paternity test.”

The blonde’s eyes widened some. “She does?”

“Yeah,” he reached and rubbed the back of his neck, “she said that I should do one just to make sure.”

“She thinks I’m lying?”

Alex reached a hand out and took her wrist in it. “She’s just trying to protect me.” Shit, he should have rehearsed this first.

Brielle pressed her lips together before speaking again, “Do you think I’m lying?”

“Would I have brought you out here and told you I was going to take care of you if I thought you were lying?”

“You tell me.”

“No, baby, I don’t think you’re lying. I remember our night together and I know that we weren’t as safe as we should have been.” He studied her face. “And I believe you when you say the baby is mine.”

Brielle relaxed some at his words. “Good, because it is.” Her cheeks tinged just slightly. “You’re the only guy I’ve been with in three years.” And probably will be for the rest of her life, because no one wants to date a girl that comes with a kid.

“I believe you.” He smoothed his thumb on her wrist in tiny circles. “But she’s my mom and you know how mom’s can be, right? They just want to keep you safe and protected and they do everything they can to make sure it happens.”

“I wouldn’t know.” She averted her gaze to the window above the sink. “My mom told me not to bother coming back if I went off to New York instead of going to school like she and my dad wanted.”

A slight crease appeared in his forehead. “Seriously?”

She gave a nod and cleared her throat some. “Um, yeah. I haven’t seen or heard from any of my family since I left.”

A shrug in her shoulders was an attempt to make it seem like she didn’t care, but he saw the pain in her eyes. “I’m sorry, Brielle.”

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” She turned her attention back to him. “But if your mom wants there to be a paternity test, then …we can do the test.”

Alex wet his bottom lip and was quiet for a moment. “I know the baby is mine, Brie,” he said softly when he spoke again. “And I don’t want to force anything on you.”

“You’re not.” She took her hand back and picked up her glass. “I didn’t want to come into your life and disrupt it or mess things up for you; and if your mom thinks that I’m doing that, then I’ll do whatever you ask of me.”

He couldn’t help but feel a slight twinge of guilt. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to apologize.” She took a step back from the counter. “But your mom is probably wondering where I ran off to and I’m sure Lily is driving her crazy, so I’m gonna go back in there.” She thumbed towards the hallway.

Alex nodded some and watched her turn and head back off in the direction of the living room. He wasn’t sure why he felt like he’d just torn her heart in two, but he’d seen the way she’d reacted. He knew the baby was his and it was his mother that had the doubt. So this test was for her, not him. And Brielle knew that. Rightfully, this test was something that should be done anyway if even to weed out the doubt of those close to him. So why now did he feel so guilty about it?

Chapter Ten by summer
Author's Notes:
Got another update for you. Thanks for all those who are reading and thanks for those who are reviewing. I was hoping to get a bit more feedback last chp with what's going on between AJ and Brielle. Thank you to those who did leave some feedback and I hope the rest of you will give a little something on your thoughts. Thanks again and enjoy this nice long update!

 

“So, you’re from New York, huh?”

Brielle looked up from her glass of lemonade to see Denise watching her. The three of them were seated in the living room while AJ prepared the dinner. Denise had taken one of the armchairs and Lily and Brielle had sat next to each other on the sofa. “Not originally, but I’ve been there for the last three years.”

“Oh yeah?” Her brows lifted. “Where originally are you from?”

Brielle shared a glance with Lily. “Virginia; this little town in the middle of the state called Roan.”

“What took you to New York?”

Brielle fiddled with the glass in her hand, trying to conjure up something to tell Denise so she wouldn’t have to talk about her failed attempt at photography; her only dream since she was little.

“She’s a photographer,” Lily interjected with before her friend could think up something on her own.

Denise’s brows arched. “Is that so? Alex was telling me you didn’t have a job.”

“Oh, I don’t.” Great, now she sounded like she was hiding or lying about herself. “I couldn’t get my photography to take off; no one liked my pictures.” A twinge stirred in her chest at that thought and her shoulders drooped.

“Oh, well…I’m sorry about that.” The older woman sounded apologetic.

“Thank you.” Brielle smoothed her pants some and set her glass on a coaster on the coffee table.

“She’s not gonna give up though, are ya, Brie?”

Brielle looked to her friend, wishing she would drop it. “I don’t want to, but right now I don’t have much of a choice. No one is interested and…I’m kind of dealing with something at the moment.”

“Oh yes, the baby.” Denise nodded towards her. “How are you feeling, by the way?”

“Okay, I guess.”

Denise nodded some, watching her intently. “And how far along are you, may I ask?”

“Oh,” her blue eyes shifted to her friend then back onto Denise, “um, well, I think somewhere like twelve weeks.”

“Twelve weeks? And you haven’t seen a doctor yet? Goodness, we need to get you into someone soon.”

She sounded genuinely concerned and Brielle wasn’t sure how to take it. “Um…well, we have one Friday. Lily’s doctor in New York recommended someone out here.”

“And she saw a doctor back at the free clinic a few weeks back. They did one of those things and we got to hear the heartbeat,” Lily spoke from next to her, sounding proud of that.

“Ooh, well that’s good then.” The older woman seemed to relax.

Brielle nodded some and smoothed her hands over her pants. “Alex is going with us.”

“To the doctors?” When the blonde nodded, Denise smiled warmly. “I figured he would; he’s always said that he’s going to do everything he can when it comes time for him to have a child. I just didn’t figure it would be this way; I thought he’d find a girl and get married, settle down and then give me a grandchild.”

Brielle shifted uncomfortably at that. “Well, I hadn’t thought it’d be this way either. I didn’t see myself having children until I was way older.”

Denise tilted her head. “How old are you?”

“Twenty-one,” she replied meekly. She knew Alex was quite a bit older than she was, but it hadn’t seemed to matter that night they shared.

“Oh,” Denise pursed her lips, “I didn’t realize you were so young. Alex is nearly thirty-three.”

“Yikes,” Lily exclaimed before blinking and snapping her mouth shut.

Denise chuckled at that. “That’s quite an age range, but it’s not unusual for my son; he’s dated a few girls who were a lot younger than he was.”

Brielle blinked. “Oh, we’re um…we’re not dating. He’s engaged to Renee.” At the mention of her name, Brielle thought she saw a look of dislike pass over the older woman’s face, but it disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.

“Oh I know that, honey. I was just saying that he has in the past; so it’s no surprise that you and he…had a night together.”

The blonde felt her cheeks flush. “Oh.”

Lily looked between the two as a silence fell over them. “So,” she spoke up, clearing her throat, “how long are you going to be visiting with Alex, Mrs…um, Alex’s mom?”

Denise chuckled low. “Solis, but please, call me Denise. And I’ll be here through next Tuesday; so almost a week.”

“That’ll be plenty of time for you to get to know Brielle,” she flashed her friend a smile, “she’s really great and we’re gonna miss her in New York.”

“Ooh, so you are going to be moving out here.” She eyed Brielle with a look the girl couldn’t interpret, which caused her to shrink back into the couch.

“She is,” Lily spoke up for her. “Everyone feels like it’s the best thing and Alex really wants to be close and around for the pregnancy and then when the child is here.”

Denise nodded her head. “I understand that, but you can’t expect to live here in his house with him the entire time.”

“Oh, no, of course not.” Brielle shook her head quickly, feeling like she was suddenly intruding in his life. “He’s going to help me find a job and then I’ll get my own place. He’s getting married, I wouldn’t dream of staying here with him.”

The older woman nodded some, pleased with that response. She smoothed her sweater and took another sip of her iced water before turning her gaze onto the woman carrying her grandchild once more. “I’m sure you know that I’ve asked Alex to have a paternity test done.”

Brielle wet her bottom lip and gave a slight nod. “I do.”

“Not because we don’t believe you, but sometimes even the mother’s can be wrong,” she explained, trying to make herself still sound sympathetic. “We just want to be completely sure. There are going to be a lot of people questioning it once the news comes out and we want to be able to tell everyone that yes, we are absolutely positive that Alex is the father.”

Lily’s brow furrowed. “I understand wanting the paternity test, but Alex is the father. Brielle is not one of those girls that goes on Maury bringing fifteen different guys trying to find her baby daddy for the fourth time.”

Denise blinked some at her outburst. “I understand that, but for legal purposes, we would like a paternity test.”

The blonde reached and touched her friend’s arm. “It’s okay, Lily. I do understand and I told Alex I would do one. I have nothing to hide and I know who the father is. If they need the physical proof then they can have it.”

Lily sighed and nodded some. “You’re right. I’m sorry, Denise. Sometimes I get a little too protective over my friend. She doesn’t have anyone else looking out for her so I have to do it myself.”

“No, that’s alright. There’s no need for apologies.”

Brielle looked between the two, wishing she could slip from the room unnoticed. The entire situation with Alex’s mom was awkward and left the blonde feeling uncomfortable and intrusive. Denise, while pleasant, did seem to not trust her and she tried to understand; if in her shoes she probably wouldn’t trust the girl either, but Brielle wasn’t like that. She wasn’t going to take his money or use him for his fame. And the idea of letting him buy her clothes and other necessities was bothersome enough. It panged her that everyone was going to be judging her and looking at her like she was in it for things she wasn’t and she wasn’t sure if she would have the energy to withstand it all.

“Brielle, you feeling okay?” Lily touched her arm and drew the blonde from her thoughts.

“Hm? Yeah, I’m good.” She nodded and reached for her glass of lemonade.

Her friend eyed her for a moment. “You sure?”

“Yeah, I’m just tired,” she lied, hoping Lily would let it drop, or at least wait until they were alone to ask her about it.

Lily made a face. “Oh gosh, you probably are.” She cast her eyes over to Denise. “We spent most the afternoon shopping. Do you want to go lie down some before dinner,” she questioned her friend.

“You went shopping?” Denise questioned before Brielle could respond.

“Sure did. Brielle was having a hard time fitting into her clothing, so Alex took us shopping and we got her fixed up.” She flashed a grin.

“Why am I not surprised,” Denise muttered low then rose from her chair and excused herself, slipping from the room and heading down the hall into the kitchen. She found her son heating up a pot of water on the stove, singing some song under his breath. “Need any help?”

Alex jerked and spun in her direction. “Shi-oot, Mom, you scared me.”

She chuckled low. “Sorry. I thought I’d come see how you were doing in here.”

He glanced toward hallway. “I thought you were visiting with Brielle and Lily…getting to know Brie better.”

“I was.” She set her water glass down and busied herself with tossing some of the trash he had accrued.

Alex watched her a moment. “Did something happen?”

“No,” Denise shook her head then suddenly turned to face him, “yes. They told me you took Brielle shopping today.”

He blinked. “I did.” A pause. “You’re upset because I took them shopping?”

Denise frowned. “I’m upset because you’re already spending your money on them.”

“Brielle, Mom, Brielle.” He shook his head some, not believing that they were having this conversation. “And what am I supposed to do? She needs my help; that’s one of the reasons I brought her out here. Besides,” he turned back to the stove, “it’s my money and I’ll spend it however I wish.”

“Oh, Alex, you always say that and then you get taken advantage of.”

“Brielle is not taking advantage of me.”

“I’m not saying she is, baby, but I want you to remember to just be cautious. This whole situation is just…weird and I would hate for you to end up hurt.”

He sighed and stared into the pot of hot water, wishing it would boil already. “She is having my child; I have to do what I can for her and the baby.”

Denise hesitated a moment then finally spoke, “What’s Renee think about all this?”

“Heh, she’s being a complete bitch.”

“Alex!”

He turned to her and she could see the anger and hurt in his eyes. “I know that she has a right to be angry and upset, but she tried to pull some serious shit the first day they were here.”

“What did she do?”

He finally moved away from the stove and took some garlic toast from the freezer. “She invited all the guys over and their dates …and told them that Brielle and I have this big announcement.”

Denise blinked.

Alex glanced to her, chuckled low at her expression and nodded. “Yeah, they started showing up an hour after Brielle got here herself. Of course, they had no idea I had no clue about this ‘dinner party’, as she called it. So it was really awkward on everyone’s part. And now they know there’s something going on and I’m sure they’re smart enough to put two and two together.” He paused. “Oh, and Kevin and Kristin came too.”

“So, you didn’t tell them?”

“No, Mom. There’s no way I was going to just stand up and announce it at the table. I didn’t want to put Brielle into that situation; she doesn’t know them and they don’t know her.” Tossing the box the bread came in into the trash; Alex moved back to the counter and took out a cookie sheet. “I’m going to tell them when the time is right and I’m ready to. I can’t let Renee bully me into it.”

“And how are you and Renee after that little stunt?”

He snorted, a deep frown line creasing his forehead.

“Oh.”

“You must be happy about that, huh?” His dark eyes glanced her way as he gave the sheet a quick spray of PAM.

Denise’s shoulders drooped. “Of course I’m not happy. Just because I don’t think you made the best decision when you asked her to marry you doesn’t mean I don’t want you to be happy. If you’re upset then I’m upset.”

“Well, you can start to relax, because if things keep going this way, chances are there won’t be a wedding.”

“Oh, Alex,” Denise moved up behind him and smoothed her hand over his back, “I’m sorry, baby.” She wanted to add that maybe that was the way it was supposed to be because Renee wasn’t the woman for him if she didn’t accept that he was having a child, but she didn’t think that’d go over so well at the moment. They could always talk about it another time.

Alex turned into her arms and welcomed her embrace. He was glad his mother had come out earlier than they’d discussed because he really needed that motherly comfort at the moment. Not only was he scared that he was losing his fiancée, but he was still scared to death about having this baby, but he had to be strong for Brielle which left no one to be strong for him. While they may disagree on things, his mom always had the answer and knew what to do.

“Oh, sweetheart, it’s going to be okay,” she soothed as she held him close and smoothed a hand over his back.

He didn’t respond, but stayed in her arms and hugged her close like he was holding onto a lifeline and knew he’d sink if he let go.

Denise kissed his head and whispered comforting words like any mother would do if her child were upset and hurting. She knew he had a lot going on and that underneath it all; he was probably scared to death. Change was not something her son took very well and when it was something this huge, there were definitely going to be repercussions.

After a long moment, Alex pulled back and used the sleeves of his shirt to wipe his eyes.

Denise winced at that and touched his arm. “You’re going to be okay, Alex. And I can stay out here as long as you need me to, okay?”

He nodded and cleared his throat before speaking, “Thanks, Mom.”

“Anything for you, sweetheart.” She touched his cheek then gently tugged him down to her level and kissed it. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Mom.” He gave her a squeeze then rose to his full height. “Okay, let me finish making dinner. Go back out there with Brielle and Lily so you don’t distract me.”

“Alright, honey.” She chuckled and took up her water glass then strode from the kitchen.

Alex watched her go and rubbed his forehead. Shit, he really needed a drink. Inching closer to the hall, he peeked out to see his mom disappear around the corner to the foyer that would take her into the living room. Giving it a moment to make sure she didn’t come back, he finally moved back into the kitchen and took a tumbler from his cabinet. He had a bottle of Jack that he’d bought before Brielle and Lily’s flight had come in and after his mom had arrived, he’d stashed it in the very back behind those items you rarely use but never want to throw out. Withdrawing it from its hiding spot, he poured a quick drink then tucked it away again. One drink wouldn’t hurt and it’d actually calm his nerves so he could enjoy a pleasant dinner. His mom would never find out and what she didn’t know could never hurt her.

~*~*~*~*~

Dinner had been successful. Alex had stopped with two drinks and his mom had been none the wiser. Of course, he’d had to occupy his mind completely the rest of the night because all he could think about was getting his hands onto that bottle of alcohol. It had felt so nice going down and had most certainly calmed his nerves. But the thought of it being in his fridge and unable to touch it had made him fidgety, so after dinner he’d taken the three ladies out to the boardwalk and spent the rest of the evening there just to get his mind off of it.

And now, here he was at three in the morning sitting out on his lanai drinking the much needed liquor straight from the bottle.

A sound from behind caused him to jump and nearly fling the glass bottle across the yard. Turning, he spied Brielle in the doorway, wearing some plaid pajama pants and a plain tee that they’d gotten her earlier in the day.

“Hey.”

He sighed and sank back into the chair with relief that it wasn’t his mother catching him red-handed. “Hey.”

“I couldn’t sleep.” She appeared at his side. “Mind if I join you?”

“Have at it.” He motioned toward the chair next to his then took another long swallow of the alcohol.

The blonde sank down into the seat and drew her legs up, wrapping her arms around them. She let the silence of the night wrap around her and watched out at the view of the Hollywood Hills that the moonlight gave way to.

Alex took another drink of the Jack Daniels and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He shifted his gaze over to Brielle and watched her for a moment. “You alright?”

She sighed and pushed some hair from her face then turned her baby blue’s onto him. “Yeah, I just couldn’t sleep.”

“I know the feeling.”

Her head rested back against the chair and she studied him, waiting a moment before speaking, “Are you worried about Renee?”

He paused in going for another drink and looked back to her. “Where’d that come from?”

She shrugged. “From today; you went to talk to her and she refuses to talk to you…and you’re supposed to be getting married. It’s something I would be worried about.”

“I don’t know.” He sighed and rubbed his forehead with his free hand. Alex wasn’t in the mood to discuss Renee or the dim outlook on his future with her. All he wanted to do was drink his Jack and sit in silence.

“Lily said that if she can’t support you and what you’re going through then maybe she isn’t the right person for you.” She blinked at her forwardness and how that might sound and quickly recanted, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. If you two love each other and want to be together then obviously you’re right for each other.”

Alex wet his bottom lip. “I don’t know what I think anymore. She’s so mad at me; and she has right to be, but…when you and I were together, Renee and I had an understanding of sorts with each other about what infidelities meant.”

“An open relationship?”

“Sort of,” he shifted in his chair, “I traveled a lot so we kept things casual when I was away.”

Brielle nodded in understanding. “I don’t think it’s the fact that you slept with me. I think she’s upset about the baby and that you’ve brought me out here.”

“But she has to know I’d do that. That’s who I am; I want to be there for my child and I want to take care of him or her …and you.”

“Well,” she bit her bottom lip, “maybe that’s what Lily was referring to. If she continues to be upset and refuses to support you…can you really go into a marriage like that? All you’ll do is hate each other and end up divorced and more hurt and upset then you are now.”

“I don’t know,” he sighed out, running a hand over his face then taking another long drink of the potent liquor.

Brielle watched him, feeling more guilt than ever before at having ruined his relationship. “I’m sorry, Alex. I should never have told Lily you were the father and none of this would have happened. You’d be blissfully happy with Renee, planning your wedding and future together.”

“Hey,” he frowned at that, “don’t say that. If Lily had never contacted me, then I might never have known about the baby.” His eyes searched her face. “I don’t regret making the decision to come see you and bring you out here.”

“But what about Renee?”

He didn’t have an answer for that. “We’ll just have to see how things go. I’m gonna go talk to her again, maybe she’ll have calmed down enough to listen to me.”

“And if she doesn’t?”

He paused and wet his bottom lip before saying the words that made his heart ache, “Then I guess we weren’t meant to be.”

She winced at that and turned her eyes back out toward the hills.

The two fell into silence and Alex nursed himself with his liquor bottle. It was nearly empty and he knew that he’d need another one soon. But with his mom out visiting, he’d have to slip away in the dead of night to acquire it, or anymore he may want to buy.

“Does your mom think I’m lying about you being the father?”

Her words interrupted his thoughts and he turned back to her. “She doesn’t think you’re lying, but she’s the kind that always needs the concrete evidence.”

“Does she not like me?”

Alex tilted his head at that. “She doesn’t know you and she doesn’t trust easily.” He met her gaze. “My mom’s been through a lot in the past and sometimes she finds it hard to just take someone for their word. But hey,” he reached and nudged her arm, “she’ll come around.”

Brielle chewed on her lower lip some. “I feel like she thinks I did this on purpose.”

“Got pregnant on purpose?”

The younger girl nodded.

Alex chuckled at that. “How would you have possibly done that on purpose?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged, “but she just gives me this look every time she looks at me; like she’s onto me or something.”

“Aww, Brie,” he chuckled, “she doesn’t think you did it on purpose. She just takes some time to warm up to you, but she’ll get there. She thinks you’re very sweet.”

Brielle gave a soft snort. “She thinks I’ve slept around with too many guys and have no idea who the father is.”

He blinked and looked at her. “Are you serious? She said that to you?”

“Well, not in those words, but she said that sometimes even mothers can be wrong on who the father is.” She peeked her eyes his way, not wanting to cause any ill feelings between Alex and his mom. But she couldn’t lie to him and sitting out here in the peaceful night air, relaxed and feeling comfortable, her words just came out without much precursor.

He sighed and settled back into the chair at that. “That doesn’t mean she thinks you’re a whore. She doesn’t know your situation or your sexual history; she’s speaking like a mother, baby. She’s trying to look out for my best interests and it’s going to take her some time to relax and know that everything’s okay.” He paused. “When our baby is grown and if he, or she, gets into the same situation we are in, I can guarantee that you’ll probably be the same way.”

“Not if it’s a girl.”

Alex blinked at that. “A girl.” He wet his bottom lip and turned his head in her direction. “We might have a girl.”

“Yeah,” she couldn’t help the little grin that was tugging at the corner of her mouth, “a girl.”

“Oh my God, a girl. Do you know what I’ll have to do if we have a girl?”

Brielle lifted her brows at the change in his tone. “What?”

“Put bars on the windows, buy myself a couple guns with plenty of ammo and install the best security system that money can buy.”

“Oh my word, why?”

He chuckled. “Because I’ll have to keep the boys away. I know what teenage boys are like; they’re walking penises. Our daughter will end up defiled in the backseat of some car.”

“Oh no! I hadn’t thought of any of that until you just said it.” She reached and lightly pinched his arm. “Hush that talk. I don’t want to think about any of that. Besides,” she relaxed back in her chair, “maybe we’ll have a boy.”

“So we’ll be letting our horny son go out and defile young women.” He rubbed his forehead. “What are we getting ourselves into, here?”

“I don’t know, but you’re starting to scare me.”

Alex laughed low and set his nearly empty bottle of liquor on a patio table to the side. “I’m starting to scare myself.”

Brielle smoothed some wrinkles from her top. “I’m going to try to be a good mom. I don’t know much on how to be a mom, but I’ll certainly try my best.”

“I think we’re in the same boat there.” He turned his attention to her. “I don’t know how to be a dad; we’ll have to learn together.”

“Lily got me this pregnancy book awhile back. It talks about a lot of things really, like…how the baby is developing and how the mother should feel. What kind of things to do to prepare and it has a checklist so you can make sure you have everything you need before the baby arrives.”

“Oh yeah? I bet that’s really interesting. Did you bring it out here?”

“Yeah,” she grinned, “do you want to see it?”

“I’d love to.”

“Okay,” she rose to her feet, “I’ll be right back.” Then she headed off into the house, reappearing a few minutes later with the book in hand.

Alex grinned and watched as she tugged her chair closer to his and sank down again. “What’s it called?” He leaned forward and peered over to the book, the light from the patio dim, but enough to be able to see the words.

“Surviving Pregnancy.” She held the book up so he could see the cover.

“Ooh, sounds neat. What’s it say about the week you’re in?”

“Well,” she drew the word out as she flipped the cover open then rifled through the pages. “Week twelve…week twelve, ah ha, here it is,” she smoothed the page and cleared her throat some, “you want me to read it to you?”

“Yeah.” He grinned again and settled back into his chair.

“Okay.” She sent him a dazzling grin then began to read from the book, “Your baby in week twelve of pregnancy. By now, your baby weighs a full half-ounce and is about the size of a large plum. Most of his, or her, systems are in place, though there’s still plenty of maturing to do. For one thing, his, or her, fetal digestive system is beginning to practice contraction movements necessary for eating, and his, or her, bone marrow is busy making white blood cells; weapons against germs once he, or she’s, out of your safe haven. The pituitary gland, at the base of the brain, has started producing the hormones that'll enable him, or her, to make babies of his, or her, own in a couple of decades or so.”

Alex lifted his brows. “Better be a couple decades; maybe even a few decades.”

Brielle chuckled at that. “Aww, I’m sure it will be. But that’s pretty neat, huh?”

“It is,” he peered over to the book, “what’s it say about you and your changes?”

“Oh,” she glanced down to her lap and smoothed the page, “well…you want me to read that too?”

“Of course.”

“Kay.” She grinned again then began to read the description about what she should be feeling about this time, “If all those changes in your baby sound dizzying, that may just be you dealing with yet another problematic pregnancy symptom: Lots of women experience occasional dizziness and/or feel faint due to progesterone, which causes increased blood flow to your baby by relaxing your own blood vessels. The decrease in blood flow to your body and brain, along with typically lower blood-sugar levels during pregnancy, can set your world a-spinning. Do your part to keep your equilibrium by eating regularly, getting adequate rest, and standing up slowly.”

“Wow,” he slowly looked her over, “are you feeling okay? Do you feel dizzy?”

“Well, not at the moment.” She closed the book and rested it in her lap. “The other day though, I got a little dizzy after getting up from bed.”

Alex nodded some. “We need to make sure you’re doing all that stuff; eating regularly, eating healthy and getting plenty of rest.”

“Oh no, are you going to become as bad as Lily?”

He chuckled at that, knowing exactly how over motherly Lily could be. “If I have to.”

“Can I make one request?”

“What’s that?”

“That you wait until after she leaves to get that way. I don’t think I could handle two Lilys’ at one time; it’s hard enough sometimes with one.”

He chuckled and took her hand in his. “I’ll do my best and try not to become like she is.”

“Good.” She smiled and it reached her eyes. “Thank you.”

Alex smoothed his thumb along the soft skin of her hand. “For what?”

“For taking care of me,” her free hand drifted to her tummy, “us.”

He drew her hand up and kissed her knuckles. “Well, if we’re giving out thanks, I need to thank you then.”

Brielle tilted her head. “For what?”

“I was feeling pretty crummy tonight, but you’ve really helped me feel better.” She really had and he had no idea how or why, but he wasn’t going to start questioning it.

“Oh,” she smiled, “well, I’m glad I could help.”

“Me too.” He studied her a moment then rose to his feet and gently tugged her up. “But you read that book; you’re supposed to be getting plenty of rest, so let’s head inside and get you back into bed.”

“Okay.” She gave a tired sigh then allowed him to lead her off the lanai and back into the house. “Alex?”

“Yeah?” He shut the door securely behind them and bolted it, then flipped the exterior light off.

“I’m glad we had this talk.”

He smiled at that. “Me too. We’ll have to do it again.”

“Definitely.” Then she leaned up and kissed his cheek. “Good night.”

“Good night.” He watched her make her way back through the house toward the staircase then shook himself from his daze and followed her path.




*information on baby and mommy in week 12 of pregnancy taken from What To Expect @ www.whattoexpect.com

Chapter Eleven by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read the fic and give your thoughts! Hope you enjoy this chapter too!

 

“Turn on the TV.”

Alex looked up from some of his mail he was sorting through to see his mom rushing into his office. “What?”

"The TV, turn it on.” She reached and swiped the small remote to the television he kept in there and flicked it on, quickly changing to the appropriate channel.

Blurb was just returning from commercial break and he frowned. “Why are we watching this?” Blurb was nothing more than a daily entertainment show about celebrities. Paparazzi would follow and seek out celebrities and the show featured footage and photos of celebrities in their down time, and sometimes on time, having their lives invaded and privacy put out there for the World to see. Not that Alex minded the press, but sometimes enough was enough.

“You’ll see in just a minute.” She arched a brow at him and turned back to see the staff of the show discussing the video they had showed before commercial break.

Alex sighed and watched with disdain, his ears perking up as he heard his name mentioned. “What the hell…” He sat up straight in the chair, his eyes trained on the television screen.

“We’ve got AJ McLean of the Backstreet Boys out shopping at the Grove yesterday,” A thin guy with a goatee and stringy brown hair said from the stool he sat on. “He was with two friends it looked like, but the interesting part is that they were spotted in maternity stores.”

“Maternity stores?” The main host guy who was older and had short dirty blond hair, questioned. “He just got engaged right? Could it be because his fiancée has a bun in the oven?”

“Maybe so, but it didn’t look like she was with him. Just two women our photographer didn’t know.”

“Who was doing the shopping?”

The scruffy looking guy read over his notes. “We’re not sure. Where are the pics?”

Just then a photo of Alex, Brielle and Lily flashed onto the screen. The three of them were exiting one of the maternity shops, laden with bags. Another was put up next to the first that showed the trio strolling along the walkway with Lily leading the way and Brielle and Alex side by side. None of the pictures looked incriminating, but this would definitely get people talking and it didn’t look good.

Denise sighed and shut the television off when the topic moved to Lindsay Lohan. “Why in tarnation did you go shopping at The Grove? You know the paparazzi camp out there.”

He winced and ran a hand over his face. “I wasn’t thinking.”

“Obviously.”

He ignored that comment. “No one is going to know who we were shopping for. For all they know it could have been a gift.”

“But it wasn’t. We are going to need damage control. You need to call your publicist and your PR people.”

That was the last thing Alex wanted to do. Sometimes he hated having to deal with them and the statements and all the gossip that went around. “How ‘bout we just ignore it and soon it’ll fade away.”

“I don’t think it’s that easy.”

“We’ll make it that easy. And once Britney Spears or Heidi Montag do something crazy again, the talk will fade away.”

Denise lifted her brows. “Not the talk of your fans; the message boards, twitter and facebook are going to go wild with this story.”

“Mom, I’m going to announce it when the time is right.”

“And when will that be?”

He sighed and ran a hand over his face. “Let’s at least get through the doctor’s appointment tomorrow. Then I’ll call Staci and we’ll talk about it,” He spoke, mentioning his personal publicist.

That seemed to satisfy Denise enough. “Alright, but don’t wait too long, honey. You know these things have a way of coming out on their own and when it does, it gets blown way out of proportion.”

“I know.”

“Okay.” She moved around the desk and kissed his head. “Any word from Renee, yet?”

Alex shook his head. “Not yet, but it’s just been one day since I talked to her. I’m hoping she calls me this weekend.”

“Honey,” Denise decided it was time to be frank with him, “do you really think that you two will be able to work it out?”

“Of course I do.”

She sat herself in the chair across from his desk. “Even after she’s been behaving the way she has?”

“She’s just upset, Mom, and she has a right to be.”

“She’s acting like a child. Believe me, I can understand her being upset and yes, she does have a right to be, but that little stunt she pulled should have been a warning sign to you.” Her hazel eyes watched her son with concern and she hoped he didn’t start to get defensive like he had a habit of doing.

Alex frowned. “Why do you say that?”

“That’s who she is, Alex. That’s how she will react to certain situations and you really need to think about that if you’re intent on marrying this girl. Marriage is supposed to be forever, and do you really want to have to deal with that behavior for the rest of your life?”

“I’m not going to be finding out that some woman is carrying my child for the rest of my life.”

“Of course not, but who knows how she’s going to react to other things. All I’m saying is that you need to think about her behavior because it’s a precursor of what’s to come in your marriage.”

Frown lines creased his forehead and he slouched in his chair.

Denise sighed. “I just don’t want you to end up like I did; alone, hurt and jaded.”

His dark eyes studied his mother and he was quiet a moment, before he finally spoke, “So what do I do?”

She was pleasantly surprised that he hadn’t gone on the defense and that he seemed to be actually listening to her. “I can’t tell you what to do, sweetheart. You have to do what’s best for you. I just ask that you remember this when it comes to making your decision.”

“I know,” his mother could see the pain in his eyes and it wrenched her heart, “and I know she’s upset with me, but I hate that she refuses to talk about it. It’s like, what is she doing? Is she still going about her life like everything is normal? It really bothers me that she doesn’t seem to want to work this out.”

“I know, baby, and I’m so sorry that this is happening. But it gives you something to think about; how you’re here paining away and she seems to care less about that.” She reached over the desk and took her son’s hand into her own. “I know you love her and I know that you wanted a life together, but sometimes life has a way of showing us that the things we desire aren’t always the best choices for us.”

“Or our indiscretions screw our lives up royally.”

“Alex.”

He shook his head. “I’m not really in the mood to talk about this anymore. I’m gonna go get some air.” Then he rose from his chair and strode from the room.

Denise watched him go with a slight frown. She knew her son was hurting and trying to disguise it, but it was starting to come through and she wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep up the façade. She really hoped that he wouldn’t succumb to the pressures and the inner struggles he had to be dealing with and pick up a bottle. He’d been clean and sober for awhile now and she was so proud of him. Besides, the last thing that needed to be brought into the equation was alcohol. Alex wasn’t himself when he was drinking and the only thing it would do was make a dire situation even direr. Not good at all.

~*~*~*~*~

“Hurry up, Brielle; we don’t want to be late!” Lily called up the stairs to her friend. It was Friday morning and she and Alex were waiting for the blonde to make her appearance so they could head out the door and get to the doctor’s. And as usual, she was lagging behind and they were going to miss their appointment. “Come on, if we miss this appointment they don’t have anything for like…two more weeks!”

“Okay, okay, I’m here,” Brielle said as she descended the stairs. “I’m sorry; I had to go pee again. It’s the baby holding us up.”

Alex chuckled from where he was leaning against the wall with car keys in hand. “Sure, sure, blame it on the one that can’t defend itself.”

She chuckled and grabbed up her small handbag from where it sat on a nearby table. “That’s right.”

“Are you guys off?” Denise appeared in the foyer with a mug of coffee in her hand and her hair in curlers, a light blue housecoat wrapped around her.

“Sure are. We’ll be back soon.” Alex pushed himself from the wall and kissed his mother’s cheek.

“Okay, be careful.”

“Always. Okay, let’s roll, girls.” Then he ushered them out the door and to his waiting SUV.

Once everyone was loaded, Alex maneuvered it around the circular drive then headed away from the house and past the gates, pulling out onto the street. The GPS had been set for the address and he was familiar enough with the area to know they weren’t going to get lost and probably weren’t going to be late.

“So, are you nervous?” Lily questioned her friend from the backseat.

Brielle glanced to her. “More than you know.”

“I’m sure everything’s going to be okay.”

“I hope so.” She smoothed a hand over her tummy then tucked some hair behind her ear and looked back out the window. The last couple days had been pretty uneventful for everyone. Denise had behaved herself and played nice around the younger girl and Brielle was finding herself starting to like her, which surprised her in part. Alex had steered clear of Renee, which actually was the other way around, but the two still hadn’t talked yet. She couldn’t tell if he was upset about it or not because he seemed to be disguising it rather well. A couple times she’d caught him with a vacant stare or a distant look in his eye, but she kept herself mum. It wasn’t her business and she wasn’t going to say anything more and cause any kind of chain reaction. If they wanted to sort things out, they would.

“Depending on how long the appointment takes, we can stop off somewhere and pick up some lunch to take home,” Alex spoke up, breaking the silence that had fallen over the trio.

“Ooh, I’m really craving some chicken.” The blonde looked over to him. “Oh and mashed potatoes, ooh and some of those delicious rolls that seem to melt into your mouth.”

Lily leaned forward from the backseat. “You did eat breakfast, right?”

“And drank about a gallon of water,” Brielle replied. “I’m going to have to pee really bad very soon.”

Not till after the sonogram.”

“Yes, Mother.”

Lily chuckled and lightly swatted at her friend’s arm. “Be nice to me or I’ll start talking about waterfalls and trickling brooks.”

Alex laughed at that. “You wouldn’t.”

“Oh, I so would.”

“She would.” Brielle nodded in agreement.

“That’s not very nice.” He cast his eyes to the rearview mirror at Lily.

She met his gaze. “She knows I love her.”

“So, can we stop and pick up some chicken and mashed potatoes and some sweet rolls for lunch?” Brielle questioned, changing the subject.

“Absolutely,” Alex glanced to her, “that sounds really good, actually.”

“Mmm,” she relaxed back in the seat and rubbed her tummy, “can’t wait.”

He grinned at that and concentrated on his driving, following the directions the GPS unit instructed and finding that the route wasn’t too difficult and within another ten minutes they were pulling into the parking lot and locating a place to park. Then it was into the building, where Brielle signed in and the receptionist handed over a clipboard of paperwork for her to fill out. Alex helped, insisting on using his insurance since it was his child and a short while later, they turned the papers back in and took the seats once more to wait for their turn.

Brielle smoothed her shirt and glanced around the waiting room, noting a few other patients; all of which were expecting. One woman looked like her stomach was bigger than all of her and if she were to stand, she’d tip right over. Brielle winced at the obvious discomfort she was showing then quickly looked away when the dark haired woman glanced at her.

“I bet she’s got triplets.”

She blinked and looked at her friend. “Triplets?”

Lily nodded. “She’s huge, there’s got to be three of ‘em in there. Or she’s gonna give birth to the World’s biggest baby,” she made sure to keep her voice low so as not to be overheard.

The blonde glanced to her own stomach. “Just how big do babies get?”

“Um…I think somewhere like six to nine pounds, or so.”

“How big is that?”

Lily mulled it over then lifted her arms and cradled a pretend baby, showing Brielle how big a newborn might be.

Brielle’s eyes widened. “And they expect that to come out of this?!” She motioned towards her lower half then shook her head. “No way.”

“Well, I don’t think you have much of a choice.” The brunette cast her eyes towards the woman with the big belly then back to her friend. “Just be glad it’s not triplets.”

Alex looked up from his iPhone and to the two girls. “What?”

“Nothing.” Brielle shook her head quickly and smoothed her hair.

Lily leaned around her friend to Alex. “She’s having a slight freak out at the thought of giving birth.”

“I’m not freaking out.”

“Then what do you call it?”

Luckily, she didn’t have to respond because her name was called and she and Alex and Lily were escorted back into a room with white walls a desk with a computer and an exam table.

The next twenty minutes were spent filling out more paperwork, which seemed to cover just about every kind of medical diagnosis known to man. Brielle felt like her brain was swirling as she went through the questions one by one and answered them the best she could. The first section covered the mother’s gynecological health details followed with health history and the second section was the father’s health history. So once she was finished with what she could answer of hers, it was Alex’s turn.

He wasn’t too comfortable with responding that yes, he had a history of past drug and alcohol abuse and that yes, he still smoked and drank occasionally. Luckily, his mother wasn’t there to see that one. He tried to ignore the surprised look that Brielle sent him when she found out about his past use of drugs and alcohol and knew that they were going to have to have a long conversation after this. Preferably, somewhere his mother wasn’t. The rest of the questions went pretty easily and soon he handed the nurse’s assistant the papers.

She thanked them then proceeded to take Brielle’s blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, checked her eyes, ears and nose, took her weight, drew three syringes of blood, then handed over a small cup for a urine sample. Finally, after all that was taken care of, she led Brielle from the room and into an exam room for the physical part of the visit. The doctor joined them shortly after, a tall woman with raven hair and friendly blue eyes. She introduced herself as Dr. Morraseu and then proceeded to review the papers the blonde had filled out with her. She asked a few more questions, jotting the answers down on her clipboard then finally set it aside and wheeled her stool closer to the blonde.

“So, how are you feeling?”

Brielle smoothed the cloth that was draped over her lower half, now wearing just the customary gown. “Overwhelmed.”

The doctor gave an understanding nod. “I’m sure you are. After we do your exam we can talk about any questions or concerns you or your partner might have.”

“Is he going to be joining us in here?”

Dr. Morraseu lifted her brows. “Only if you’re comfortable with that. Normally, the men wait until after the physical part of the exam to join us.”

“Oh,” Brielle gave a nod and tucked some hair behind her ear, “that would probably be best.”

The doctor chuckled. “It usually is. So far, from everything you’ve told me, it all looks good, but we won’t know for sure until we check you over and get your blood and urine tests back. There are also a list of screening tests we’ll talk over with both you and your partner that are important for both you and the baby.”

“Wow,” she breathed out. “There sure is a lot.”

“The first prenatal visit usually is the longest and most detailed. Once we know both you and the baby are okay then the rest of them should move pretty smoothly and be faster. Unless, of course, there’s an issue with you or the baby.”

“Will there be an ultrasound today?”

Dr. Morraseu nodded. “I’ve scheduled one.” She rested her hands on her legs. “Shall we get started?”

The physical exam went smoothly and from her initial assessments, Dr. Morraseu didn’t find any problems or issues. She gave the blonde a new due date of June 21st and sent off some tissue samples to the lab for some further testing, which was common, she assured her patient, but she was comfortable in telling Brielle that she didn’t foresee anything negative.

Once Brielle was dressed again, Alex joined them and the doctor started by discussing the proper weight gain Brielle would need, some common symptoms of pregnancy and what she should and shouldn’t be experiencing, what foods she needed to eat and what she needed to stay away from, she told Alex he simply could not smoke around her. Then she explained the various screening tests that she wanted to give to test for abnormalities, Down syndrome, chromosomal problems and birth defects. It overwhelmed the young, soon to be mother, and she looked to Alex, feeling lost at all the information.

He took her hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “You alright?”

Brielle rubbed her forehead. “There’s just so much information.”

Dr. Morraseu nodded in agreement. “There really is, but it’s not difficult to understand. We’ll be doing a nuchal translucency screening, which essentially is an ultrasound, today. It will give us an idea on Down syndrome and some other chromosomal abnormalities as well as major congenital heart problems. Most people opt for just that screening before they decide to go ahead with the other tests, which can tell us for certain if there is an issue. The ultrasound will just give us an idea, but it’s not definite. So most couples like to get those results back before deciding to go ahead with a diagnostics test.”

Brielle glanced to Alex then back to the doctor. “Okay, that sounds good.”

Alex squeezed her hand. “Right, we can do that.” He wet his bottom lip. “What about DNA testing?”

Dr. Morraseu didn’t seem fazed by the question. “That can be done with one of the diagnostic tests; the amniocentesis. It’s not something we recommend doing solely for DNA purposes, because it is a high risk test and there can be quite severe complications. Usually the amnio is given to check for DS, sex chromosome abnormalities, genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis or sickle cell disease, or neural tube defects such as spina bifida and anencephaly.”

Brielle wasn’t even sure she understood what all those meant. “And unless you have reason to suspect any of those, then it’s not something you will give.”

The pretty doctor looked between the two. “I don’t give it unless there is a health concern. It’s too risky for something like DNA.”

Alex gave a nod. “Okay, thank you, we appreciate your honesty.”

“You’re welcome.” The doctor smiled. “Alright, are we ready to see your baby?”

Moments later, the doctor was pulling up the image of Brielle’s uterus on the machine. She watched in amazement as Dr. Morraseu moved the wand against her tummy, pressing lightly at certain spots as she worked to pick up the baby.

The heartbeat was the first thing they heard; a strong and fast thump-thump that seemed to fill the room and Alex felt his own heart leap into his throat and he gripped Brielle’s hand tighter.

She gave a soft laugh then gasped in amazement when the doctor finally spotted the baby.

“And there is your little one.”

Alex peered closer to the screen, the pulse in his neck racing as fast as the baby’s was. “Where?”

“Right…here.” She circled the small image on the screen and let them study it while she went about measuring the length of the baby to check and make sure he, or she, was the appropriate size.

Brielle watched the screen, tears filling her eyes and spilling onto her cheeks. “I…can’t believe it.”

“I know.” Alex kissed her knuckles, feeling pretty close to tearing up himself. He hadn’t thought that hearing the heartbeat and seeing the tiny baby on the screen would have this kind of effect on him, but he was close to bawling like a baby. “It’s amazing.”

Brielle sniffed and used her free hand to wipe at her cheeks. “It’s so little…is everything okay?”

Dr. Morraseu smiled. “Sure is. Your little one measures the perfect size and looks okay from what I can see. It’s definitely a June 21st due date. In a minute, I’ll be putting a sensor on your abdomen that will show your baby’s nuchal fold area and I’ll be able to measure the thickness of it with the calipers.”

“Huh?” Alex tore his eyes from the screen and to the doctor.

She chuckled low. “I’ll be measuring the clear space in the back of the baby’s neck. Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid there during the first trimester, causing the clear space to be larger than average. So we’ll be checking to see how it measures to a normal space there. Of course, this screening doesn’t mean the baby won’t have defects, but unless we see reason for alarm, then chances are good that it won’t and we won’t require further testing.”

Brielle turned her attention back to the screen and watched the small image that was her child. “Where’s the head?”

Dr. Morraseu took up her pointer again and outlined the head. “Right here, and down this way is the spine and then the buttocks leading to the legs,” she moved the pointer along the way as she spoke, “down to the feet.”

“It’s so tiny, how can you tell?”

Alex chuckled and squeezed her hand. “She’s a professional.”

“That’s right.” The doctor smiled then withdrew another wand shaped object and hooked it to the machine before resting it over Brielle’s abdomen and watching the screen.

Brielle didn’t know how to read what the doctor was doing, so she just studied the baby, a dopey grin covering her face. “I can’t believe it.”

“Me either.” Alex was seated on a stool at her head and he leaned over some and kissed her forehead. “It’s amazing.”

“It really is.” She looked to him and studied his face, noting the dampness in his eyes. “Are you okay?”

He smiled softly and brushed some hair from her cheek. “I’m perfect.”

“Good.” Her hand caught his and held it to his cheek. “Thank you for coming with me.”

Alex chuckled low. “You couldn’t have kept me away.”

Brielle giggled low at that, just watching him with shining eyes. He really was a wonderful man and he was going out of his way to welcome her into his home and make sure both she and the baby were okay. She didn’t know how she’d gotten so lucky that the father of her baby was this man; but she had and she couldn’t be more grateful or appreciative.

“Well, from my initial assessment, your baby looks very healthy,” the doctor spoke up, interrupting the small moment between the two.

Alex turned to her, his eyes darting between the doctor and the screen. “So he’s okay?”

“Or she,” Brielle interjected.

Dr. Morraseu nodded. “From everything I can see, he, or she,” she looked to Brielle at that, “looks very healthy. Both mother and baby do.”

“Thank God.” Alex squeezed the blonde’s hand, feeling a wave of relief wash over him.

The doctor began to put the machine away and handed Brielle a wipe to clean the jelly off her tummy. “We’ll continue to monitor both baby and mother as the pregnancy progresses and if we see anything of alarm or concern then we’ll schedule the appropriate tests and do what we can to figure out what the issue is. I’ve taken some video and photos for you and they should have them for you at the front desk.”

“Thank you, I appreciate that.” Brielle cleaned herself up then pulled her top back down over the tiny bump in her tummy.

Alex took the wipe and tossed it over into a nearby trashcan. “Yes, thank you.”

“You’re quite welcome.” Dr. Morraseu finished putting the machine away and pushed it to the side then rose from her stool and moved to the counter behind her. She gathered some brochures and papers and returned to her seat. “I have here some more information on proper care to take while pregnant. This one talks about eating well, foods to avoid, weight gain and prenantal vitamins, which I will be writing you a prescription for.” She handed a small booklet over to Brielle. “This one is about the different discomforts with second trimester pregnancy and it talks about the different symptoms you may experience. It also lists the different symptoms you’ll need to seek immediate attention for.” She passed another over. “And this one talks about what not to do during pregnancy such as smoking, drinking and drug use, certain medications, environmental and occupational hazards.” She handed one more over. “Most of it we talked about, but I wanted you to have it to take home. And of course, any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office.”

Brielle took the pamphlets and looked them over, thanking the doctor.

Alex did as well and Dr. Morraseu smiled and tucked her hands into the pockets of her white lab coat. “Do either of you have any questions or concerns you wish to talk about right now?”

Brielle’s head was swimming and at the moment she couldn’t think of any. Glancing to Alex, she shook her head. “I don’t yet, do you?”

He shook his head as well. “Not at the moment. I think you’ve pretty much covered most everything I was wondering about.”

The doctor smiled. “Good, and if you think of any just give us a call. As soon as we get the results of your blood tests back, we will let you know, and I want to see you again in four weeks.” She withdrew a prescription pad from her pocket and quickly wrote on it, handing it to Brielle. “This is your prenatal vitamin prescription and I want you to start taking them immediately.”

Brielle thanked her again and she finally excused herself after instructing them to make their next appointment with the receptionist.

Alex watched her go and turned toward the blonde. “Well, that went well I think.”

“Yeah,” Brielle swung her legs around the side of the exam table and let Alex help her off it, “I was really nervous, but she was good.”

“I like her.” He slipped his arm around her shoulders and steered them both from the room.

“Me too.” She smiled and they stopped at the front desk, making the next appointment for Friday, January 7th at 10am and collecting the video and photographs the doctor had printed out. Then Lily met up with them in the waiting room and bombarded them with questions.

Alex chuckled and reassured her that everything went well and she could see the picture once they were back in the SUV.

Lily hooked her arm through Brielle’s and started from the building with them. “You guys were back there a long time.”

“There was a lot to go over.” She looked to her friend. “She changed my due date.”

Lily lifted a brow. “Really?”

The blonde nodded. “June 21st. I had given the doctor back at the clinic in New York the wrong date for my last period.”

“Ooh, well that’s a lot closer than July is. We have a lot to do to prepare.”

Alex chuckled. “Don’t stress her out. We’ll get everything done; no worries.”

“Right,” Lily squeezed her arm and pushed the front doors to the building open, “the less stress for everyone, the better.”

Alex pulled his shades from where he had hooked them to his shirt and slipped them on over his eyes. “That’s right.”

Brielle agreed and stepped outside into the bright sunlight with them. “So, now to get some chick and mashed potatoes.”

“And sweet rolls.”

“And sweet rolls.” She nodded at Lily then blinked at the swarm of people that suddenly advanced on them.

“AJ! AJ!” “Do you have any news for us?” “Are you gonna be a dad?” “Where’s your fiancée?” “Who’s the mother?” The shouts came as some of the photographers snapped picture after picture, others letting their video cameras roll and capture the scene in its entirety.

“What the hell?” Lily’s eyes widened at the sight and Alex gave a groan.

“C’mon,” he reached and took Brielle’s elbow gently in his hand, directing Lily to his other side and hooking their arms together, then he slowly pushed his way through the photographers that were shouting their questions at him, doing his best to ignore and not give more fuel to the fire.

Brielle moved along with her eyes wide. She had seen things like this on the TV with different celebrities but this was just crazy. How had they even known where they were? How had they known about the baby?

The photographers moved along with the trio, not giving up in their insistent questions and comments and Alex had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep himself in check and not say something he might regret later. On a good day, the tattooed man didn’t mind chatting with the paparazzi, but this was not one of those days or a subject he wanted to discuss.

Finally, they reached the vehicle and Alex helped the girls inside then pushed through the group and moved around to the other side, climbing in behind the wheel and shutting the door firmly behind him. He locked the doors then started up the SUV glancing to his companions. “You guys okay?”

Lily was staring out the window as they continued to film them. “Geeze, they’re like vultures. How do you even breathe?”

Brielle ducked her head at the flashbulbs going off in her face. “What are they doing? What’s going on?”

“I’m sorry.” He frowned and lowered his visor to help with the flashing lights then slowly pulled out of his spot and towards the main road.

The photographers followed until he turned out onto the road then fell back and went about their own business.

“I…I have no words,” Lily spoke from her spot in the back.

“What the hell was that?”

Alex glanced over to Brielle at her outburst. “That was the paparazzi.”

She frowned and a line creased her forehead. “What were they doing? How do they know about the baby?”

He sighed and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. “They spotted me on Wednesday when I took you shopping. We were in some maternity stores and there’s photos of that going around. And now, we came out of an ob-gyn office.”

“How did they find us?”

Alex shook his head and glanced back to Lily at her question. “They’re vultures, like you said. I have no idea how they know where we’re going to be, but they always seem to. And sometimes it’s the luck of the draw; they happen to be somewhere a celebrity is at. That mighta been how it was today.”

“Is it going to be like that every time?” Brielle settled the manila envelope containing the dvd and photographs in her lap.

“Depends on where we go.” He looked to her and touched her arm. “I’m sorry, I had no idea they were gonna be there or I woulda warned you.”

“It’s okay; it’s not your fault. But I know how you can make it up to me.”

“How’s that?”

She smirked and rested her head against the back of the seat. “Get me some chicken, mashed potatoes and sweet rolls. Oh, and a couple tacos.”

Alex laughed. At that moment, he’d get her the world if she requested it. “You’ve got a deal.” Then he turned at a light and headed that way.

 

End Notes:
Just a note: I don't have children, so please don't judge me on the doctor's appointment lol, I got everything from research. And I'd love to know what you guys think Alex and Brielle should have ...girl or boy! Leave your opinions in a review! Thanks! :)
Chapter Twelve by summer
Author's Notes:
Gosh, thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback! I appreciate you all letting me know if you want the baby to be a girl or boy. If you haven't left your opinion on it yet; please do! Hope you enjoy this next chp! :)

 

“Hey, can we talk a minute?”

Brielle looked over to see Alex in the doorway of the guest bedroom the following day. “Of course, come in.” She set the baby magazine she’d picked up the other day, down and watched him. “What’s up?”

“Actually, I was kind of hoping we could take a drive.” The last thing he wanted was to have this conversation with his mother just down the hall.

The blonde nodded some and slipped from the bed. “Yeah, that sounds good. Do you think we could get some tacos while we’re out? I’m having a huge craving for some sour cream.”

Alex chuckled. “We’ll get you as many as you want.” He waited until she got her shoes on and grabbed a jacket then followed her down the hall and downstairs to the foyer. “We’ll be back!” He called out to his mother then ushered Brielle from the house and to his waiting SUV.

Once inside, Brielle got buckled and settled into the seat then glanced his way. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything’s good. I just wanted to talk about a few things.”

She watched him get buckled and start the vehicle. “Did I do something wrong?”

Alex looked her way as he put the SUV into gear and pulled out from his spot. “Oh, no, Brie, you haven’t done anything.” His eyes turned toward the windshield as he headed from the driveway. “There were a couple things I thought needed to be discussed. Mainly from the doctor’s visit yesterday.”

“Oh.” She nodded some, wondering what it was about the visit that was bothering him.

Alex glanced her way. “How ‘bout we get you some tacos and find somewhere to park and then we can talk; or I can talk and you can listen.”

“Sure.” She had a funny feeling in her tummy, not sure where this conversation was going to lead to.

Fifteen minutes later, they had the tacos and were parked at a quiet overlook that led down to a secluded beach.

“Mm, this is so good,” Brielle sighed as she took a bite out of her taco, holding it carefully so she wouldn’t spill lettuce and cheese all over her lap.

Alex watched her with a grin. “Hits the spot, huh?”

“Oh yeah.” She closed her eyes a moment, just enjoying the taste.

Her companion watched her a moment, letting her enjoy the taco before he finally spoke a few moments later, “So, um…I thought it might be a good idea for us to talk about a few things.”

Brielle turned his eyes to him, her long lashes blinking slowly. “What kind of things?”

“Well,” he wet his bottom lip and shifted some in his seat to a more comfortable position, “remember yesterday when we were filling the sheets out about our medical history?” When she nodded, he continued, “I guess I just wanted to explain about some of my answers.”

“The drug and alcohol ones?”

She’d seen the answers he’d put down. “Yeah.”

“Well, what about them?”

Alex fiddled with the steering wheel. “I guess you could say I have a pretty shrouded past when it comes to those vices.” A beat. “I don’t exactly have the best record and for awhile I spent a lot of time drunk, stoned or high off cocaine.”

The blonde’s brows arched. “Geeze.”

“Yeah,” he sighed heavily, avoiding her gaze, “but I don’t do those things anymore; ‘cept sometimes I still drink, but I’m completely free of drugs.”

Brielle licked some sour cream from her finger and set the taco on the wrapper in her lap. “Why are you telling me this?”

His dark eyes lifted to her face and she could see the anguish in them. “I …guess I thought you should know.”

“Because it might affect the baby?” Those stunning blue eyes widened. “Can something like that affect the baby?”

“I…I don’t know. But I wanted to tell you just in case…in case, you know…” he trailed off, not sure if he could say what he was thinking.

“In case something is wrong with the baby,” she finished the sentence for him.

Alex gave a silent nod and looked off out the window.

The two were quiet for a moment, Alex lost in his thoughts and Brielle studying him. Finally, she wiped her hands on a napkin then reached and took his hand in hers. “The doctor said everything looked good so far. She didn’t see anything alarming or would make her think there might be problems.”

“I know,” he turned his attention back to her, “but if something is wrong and it’s because of something I’ve done …then…” a heavy feeling was settling in his stomach, “I don’t know what I’ll do.”

“How do you know it wouldn’t be because of something I did?”

“Did you do drugs?”

“Well, no, but I’m the one carrying the child. What if I do something that causes some kind of complication or problem?”

He hadn’t thought about that.

She sighed and gave his hand a small shake, as if she were trying to convince him otherwise. “What I’m trying to say is that there isn’t going to be any way of telling what caused what. Heaven forbid, if something does happen with the baby, then we’re just going to have to handle it and do what we can. Placing blame or feeling guilty will get us nowhere. And sitting here worrying over something that might not even happen just can’t be healthy. We’re just going to stress each other out and you know that can’t be good for anyone, even the baby.”

She was right and he knew it, but it didn’t mean he could convince himself to believe it. “You’re right.”

“I know.” She finally released his hand and reached for her taco again. “So, unless the doctor tells us there’s reason to worry, then I say we just put all that behind us and focus on the here and now; like these tacos.” She flashed a teasing grin at that and took a bit bite, uttering a savoring mmm.

Alex was a little taken back with her nonchalant attitude about his news. Most girls either freaked out or had a million questions; but Brielle just went about her way as if it didn’t bother her in the least. That was different and he wasn’t sure how to interpret it; but it was nice not to have the added pressure of being judged or questioned on everything he thought or did. That was very nice and the more he thought about it, the better he felt. Someone just accepting him for who he was; faults and all. That was definitely very nice.

“So, what’s going to happen now that the press thinks you’re fathering a child?”

He blinked out of his thoughts and looked at her. “What?”

She wiped her mouth with a napkin. “Well, the paparazzi were all up in your business so I’m sure rumors are gonna spread fast.”

He chuckled then leaned his head against the back of the seat. “Shit, that is really the last thing I want, or need, right now.”

“Are you going to like, make a statement, or something?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged and turned his head to see her, “my mom wants me to. She says I need to nip all the rumors in the bud and just put out a statement.”

Her brows lifted in a questioning look, but her mouth was full of taco so she couldn’t speak.

“It’s probably what I should do,” he replied, knowing what her look meant. “But it’s going to mean more attention. They’ll follow us around more and it’s going to come out who you are and what happened between us.”

“If it’s the truth, then what’s wrong with that?”

Alex paused at that. “Well, nothing I guess. Except I’m engaged and now this girl is coming from the woodwork claiming to be having my child.”

Brielle frowned. “I’m not claiming. I am.”

“I know that and you know that, but the rest of the world doesn’t. And until the baby is born and an actual DNA test can be done, then it’s just hearsay and I’m just being honest here, but the press can be very, very harsh and hurtful in what they print.”

“Well, I just won’t read it.”

He chuckled. If only it were that easy. “Or watch TV?”

“I won’t do that either.”

“So, you want me to make a statement?”

Brielle sighed and finished the last bite of her taco, wiping her mouth and taking a sip of her lemonade before responding, “You do what you need to do, Alex. I don’t want to come into your life and disrupt it or make it harder for you. I’ve already screwed up your relationship with Renee and now I’m causing you to get all this attention and the last thing I want is for it to cause you bad press.” She was quiet a second and when she spoke again, her voice was softer, “Maybe I should just go back to New York; let you get your life back on track.”

Alex frowned at that. “I’m not letting you go back to New York and you really need to stop talking like that.”

“But it’s true; all I’m doing is messing things up for you.”

“Hey,” he reached and took her arm gently, causing their eyes to meet, “you are not messing anything up for me. I got us into this mess. I could have left you alone and not taken you back to my hotel room that night in New York, but I did.”

“And now you’re having a baby with a woman you hardly know, your fiancée wasn’t nothing to do with you and the public is going to think you’re some scumbag who cheats on your girlfriend then moves some stranger into your home.”

“I told you, I don’t care what anyone thinks about me.”

“I know,” she sighed and sank back into the seat, her shoulders hunching some, “I’m sorry. I just can’t help but feel like I’m just messing it all up for you.”

“You’re not. Hey, remember what you said to me the other day? About Renee maybe not being the right one for me?” She nodded and he continued, “Maybe you’re right. I’ve been thinking about it and I think you have a point; if she can’t support me and be there for me for this, then what is she going to be like if we were to get married?”

“Oh, please don’t say you two aren’t meant to be on my behalf.”

He reached for her arm again. “I’m not. I’m saying it because it’s quite possibly true.” He hesitated. “I’m going to go see her on Monday and ask for the ring back.”

Her blue eyes stretched some in surprise. “Really?”

“Really.”

“Only if you’re sure. I don’t want you to make decisions just because of something I put in your head.” She shook her own head. “You have to be really sure, Alex, like completely and a hundred percent positive about it. I don’t know if I could carry the guilt that I caused you to do it and you really didn’t want to.”

But he wasn’t swayed. “I want to.”

She studied him a moment then sighed. “Okay. And, if you need anything, you’ve been so gracious and wonderful to me; the least I can do is repay the favor somehow.”

“You’re having my baby.”

She chuckled. “That is not repaying the favor. That’s what got us both into this mess in the first place.”

“Alright, I’ll keep that in mind.”

Brielle nodded then gathered the taco wrappers and shoved them into the plastic bag from the restaurant. “Hey, do you think we could stop and get some Chunky Monkey ice cream? I’m having a sudden craving for it.”

Alex laughed. “That actually sounds good. How ‘bout I get enough for the both of us.”

“Deal.”

He grinned at that and started up the SUV again. “Alright, let’s roll then.”

~*~*~*~*~

Sunday, Denise took Brielle and Lily out for the day; Alex had some work to do so she kept the two occupied with shopping, lunch, a movie and then a stop at the spa. It was a nice outing and to everyone’s surprise, Brielle and Denise got along rather well. The tension that had been in the house since her arrival seemed to melt away and the blonde wasn’t sure if it was because of the mud wrap or avocado facials, but she would take it none the less. Denise didn’t treat her like an outcast or like someone who was trying to weasel her way into her son’s life, but instead she was treated like she was the mother of the older woman’s grandchild. Brielle just hoped this behavior wasn’t short lived.

The trio arrived back to the home that evening and while Lily was putting the spa goodies she’d purchased away and Denise was rummaging around the kitchen to decide what to have for dinner, Brielle sought out the homeowner, knowing he’d be pleased at finding out that his mother and Brielle were getting along rather well.

“Hey,” she greeted Alex upon locating him in his office. He was seated on the loveseat in the room, his legs extended on the coffee table and a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand.

He glanced to her, not moving from his spot except to raise the bottle to his lips and take a long swallow. “Hey,” he finally uttered after lowering the container and using his arm to wipe his mouth.

Brielle remained in the doorway, picking up something in his demeanor and expression on his face that wasn’t good. “Um…you alright?”

Alex gave a snort then took another long drink.

She shifted her gaze around the room then finally moved into the room. “What’s going on?”

“Nothin’, just enjoying my drink.” He held up the bottle in a salute.

“You don’t look like nothing is wrong.” She closed the office door securely behind her. “What happened while we were gone?”

“Shit hit the fan.” He took another drink and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Renee came by?”

“Fuck,” his eyes squeezed tight, “yes, she came by.”

Brielle frowned. “What…what happened?” Slowly, she sank down next to him.

Alex seemed to slouch even further down into the loveseat. “You’re gonna laugh at this.”

“At what?”

He propped the bottle against his stomach and picked at the label with his other hand. “Funniest damn shit ever.”

“She hocked the ring?”

He snorted. “No, she still has the ring.”

The blonde was slightly confused by his behavior. “Then what is it?”

His dark eyes rose to meet her clear ones and she felt a punch in her stomach at the desolate expression on his face. “She’s pregnant.”

“Wh…” she blinked. “Come again?”

“Heh, yeah, she’s having my baby. Imagine that; I’m having two babies with two different women…within a few months of each other. Shit, my life is fucked up.” His head fell back into the couch and he lifted the bottle to his mouth, taking another drink.

“I…” she was speechless. Quickly, she racked her brain for something, anything she could offer for support or help. “Is she sure?” And that’s all she could come up with? Seriously?

“She went to the doctor and everything; said they confirmed it.”

What was one supposed to say in a situation like this? “I…I don’t know what to say.”

He shook his head and held the bottle towards her. “Me either, have a drink.” Then he was pulling it away again. “No, you can’t have a drink. I’ll have a drink for you.” And he proceeded to down more of the potent liquid.

Brielle was pretty certain he was drunk and it wasn’t a good drunk either. They were lucky to have come home when they had. “How ‘bout you give me the drink.” She reached for the bottle, but he held it from her.

“No, you can’t have any. You’re pregnant. Just like Renee…both having my baby. Damn, and I was worried all the drugs and drinkin’ would have made me impotent.” He snorted then drank again. “Gonna have two babies, ain’t married to either woman, my mother is going to just love this shit.”

“Um, Alex,” again, Brielle reached for the alcohol, “how much have you had to drink?”

Alex pulled it from her grasp and motioned toward the desk which had two empty bottles on it. “Not enough.”

It looked like more than enough to her. “Okay, alright, it’s okay. We’ll…figure this out.” She rose to her feet and surveyed the situation, wondering what the best course of action would be.

But before she could come up with a solution, a knock sounded on the office door followed by Denise’s voice, “Alex, honey, are you in there?”

“Shit!” The man in question was suddenly stumbling to his feet and shoving his nearly empty bottle at the blonde. “Hide this shit; if my mom catches me, we’re both dead.”

She blinked and grasped at the bottle, nearly dropping it. “What?”

“Hide them, hurry!” He hissed at her before pulling a stick of gum from his pocket and wavering towards the door.

“Alex?” Denise knocked again.

“Uh, just a minute, Mom,” he slurred out, looking back to Brielle and motioning at her like ‘hurry it up’.

She frowned and glanced around the room, hurrying to the desk and collecting the two empty Jack Daniel’s from there. “Where am I supposed to hide these?”

“Go out the window.”

“What?” Her eyes widened.

“The window. Hurry!” He motioned towards the half open window that led out to the side yard.

Brielle was about to object, but Alex moved to the window and shoved it up.

“Alex, what is going on in there?” Denise called through the closed door.

“I’m on a call, Ma, just a minute!” He called back to her then waved the blonde over and nearly shoved her out the window to the yard below.

Brielle tumbled to the ground, the bottles slipping from her hands and falling into the grass. Slightly dazed, she sat up and frowned up toward the office, but Alex had already shut the window and pulled the blinds closed.

“What the hell!?” She dusted her hands off then pushed herself to her feet and brushed off the seat of her pants. He was damn lucky it wasn’t a long drop to the ground and he was lucky she hadn’t hurt herself. Something like that could be dangerous to the baby. Frowning at that thought, she smoothed a hand over her tummy then smoothed her hair and checked herself over for any types of bumps or scrapes. There didn’t seem to be any so she collected the alcohol bottles and started back around the house to the front door.

She had no idea what was going on and why Alex felt the need to send her out the window. Though being drunk probably didn’t help the situation. But she was damn sure she was going to find out because that was never going to happen again. What was so wrong with his mom knowing he had been drinking after finding out something as shocking as his fiancée being pregnant with his child? Normally, something that like would be wonderful news, but because of Brielle it was only going to add stress to the already stressful situation. Alex had told her he didn’t want her to go back to New York, but now that he was having a child with the woman he loved, maybe he wouldn’t care. Lily was supposed to be heading back the coming Friday, they could easily turn her first class ticket into two coach and she could join her. That would probably be the best thing for everyone now.

With that thought in mind, Brielle found her way back to the front of the house. She spotted the large trash bins next to the garage and quickly disposed of the alcohol, making sure to hide it under a pizza box in case Denise wanted to add trash, then wiped her hands off and headed back inside.

Lily was coming down the steps when Brielle stepped in through the front door. “Hey. What were you doing outside?” She questioned the blonde, joining her in the foyer.

Brielle glanced toward the living room and hall, but found it empty. “Alex made me go out the window.”

“What?” Her brown eyes furrowed in confusion.

“Yeah,” she nodded, “we were in his office and his mom knocked on the door and he freaked out and practically shoved me out the window.”

Lily frowned at her friend. “Why would he do that?” Then her eyes widened. “Ooh, ooh, Brie!” She grabbed her friend’s arm and gently pulled her closer, speaking her next words in a hushed tone, “Were you two, you know…”

Brielle arched a brow. “Were we what?”

“You know…”

The blonde shook her head. “No, I don’t know.”

Lily sighed. “Getting it on, making out…getting busy. Geeze, do I have to spell everything out for you?”

“What?!” Brielle frowned and pulled out of Lily’s grasp. “We most certainly were not doing any of that!” She started for the stairs.

Lily followed her. “Then why would he make you go out the window? What would be so bad of Denise seeing you two together in there?”

“I don’t know,” she lied. She hated hiding information from her best friend, but it wasn’t her place to announce the news of Renee’s condition nor did she feel right gossiping about his drinking and Denise not liking it.

“Are you sure you two weren’t getting freaky?”

“We weren’t getting freaky.” She sighed and moved down the hall to the guest room she was using and inside.

Lily was right behind her. “Cuz you know, if you wanted to, it’d be perfectly okay.”

Brielle thought she was going to fall over. She turned to her friend and stared at her. “Are you drunk? You’re talking like a crazy person. Alex and I doing anything like that is most certainly not okay!”

“Geeze, calm down; you don’t have to get your panties in a bunch.” Lily held her hands up in a defensive gesture. “And why wouldn’t it be okay? You two have already bumped nasties, quite a few times that night from what I’ve come to understand. What would be wrong with you two doing it again?”

Brielle shook her head and headed for the bathroom, moving in and to the sink so she could wash her hands. “Um, because he has a girlfriend and we’re not like that with each other.”

Lily took a seat on the bed. “But you’ve already done it; so you are like that with each other.”

“It was one night,” her friend called from the bathroom. “One night that two people shared. It wasn’t because we liked each other or were attracted to each other; it was two people seeking solace and comfort from the shit in their lives with each other. Two people just trying to forget their problems and get lost in the moment.”

“So, do you find him attractive?”

Brielle rinsed the soap from her hands then shut the water off and took the hand towel from the towel rack. “Why are you asking me that?”

Lily shrugged. “Just curious.”

“Not that it’s any of your business, or even matters.”

“So, you do.”

Brielle appeared in the doorway. “Okay, so I think he’s a nice looking guy. So what?”

“So everything. I bet he thinks you’re attractive. You tell him, he tells you…” she tilted her head, “do I really need to continue?”

“Um, he’s engaged.” She sent her friend a look and crouched by the bed, pulling her suitcase from beneath it.

“Only in words; they haven’t talked in days and days. You and I both know it isn’t meant to be with them and it won’t work out.” She lifted a brow at her friend’s action. “What are you doing?”

“Packing a few things,” came the response.

Lily shifted onto her tummy and peered off the bed at the blonde who was crouched on the floor getting the suitcase opened. “Why? Did you find a place to stay already?”

“Not exactly.”

“They why are you packing your things?”

Brielle sighed and sat back on her bottom on the floor. “Because I have this feeling that I’m not going to be staying here for very much longer.”

Lily frowned then sat up and eyed her friend with the most serious of looks she could muster. “Okay, what’s going on? And you better tell me or I’ll go ask Alex.”

“Nothing is going on. I just don’t want to overstay my welcome.”

“I told you, I’ll ask Alex if you don’t tell me.”

Brielle eyed the brunette then her shoulders drooped and she turned her gaze to the gray colored carpet. “Renee is pregnant.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, he just told me.”

“Are…is…seriously?” She was as much as a loss for words as the blonde had been.

“She told him she went to the doctors and they confirmed it. He’s taking it hard; very hard.”

“Well, yeah, I would too.” Lily slipped from the bed and sank down beside her best friend. “How are you taking it?”

“How am I supposed to take it? She’s his fiancée; the woman he loves. If I’d never come into the picture, I bet he’d be walking on cloud nine right now.”

The brunette reached and rubbed her back in a soothing manner. “You don’t know that.”

Her cloudy blue eyes met Lily’s cocoa colored ones. “Oh come on, you and I both know that it’s true. He didn’t hesitate in any of his decisions when it was me. They’re already engaged and were planning a life together, if I’d never contacted him, or you had never rather, then he’d be overjoyed instead of drowning his sorrows in Jack Daniels and getting drunk off his ass.”

“He was drunk?”

“Yeah,” she wiped at her eyes, trying to will the tears away, “that’s why he made me go out the window, so I could take the alcohol with me and his mom wouldn’t find out.”

Lily frowned; something about that picture wasn’t right. And she could vaguely remember reading something about his alcohol issues in the past. “Well, that’s terrible and I’m sorry that happened.”

“Thanks,” she sighed and took a breath, clearing her throat, “so, I thought that we could cash your first class ticket into two coach and I could go back with you on Friday.”

“Well, did he say what he wanted to do?”

Brielle shook her head. “No, he was drunk and too upset and I didn’t know what to say.”

Lily nodded then drew her legs up and hugged them to her chest. “Brielle, you can come back with me if you want to; I’m not going to make you stay out here. But I think you should at least talk to him before you decide for sure.”

“Why?”

“You know why.”

She sighed and made a face. Ugh, why did Lily have to play her conscience and make her think about what was right and what wasn’t? “I guess you’re right.”

“I know I am; besides, you sort of owe it to him after everything he’s done for you.”

“Yeah,” she relented, picking at the zipper of her suitcase.

Lily nodded and studied her friend a moment. “So, let’s talk a bit more about how hot you think he is.”

Brielle frowned at that. “Let’s not and pretend we did.” She rose to her feet and smoothed out her shirt.

“Oh, come on, Brie, please?”

“I’m not going there, Lil. Things are good between us and right now, especially with the news of Renee, is not the time.”

Lily sighed. “I guess you’re right.” Then she sent her friend a crooked grin. “Can you at least tell me how good in bed he is?”

Brielle responded with a pillow to the head and that was the end of that conversation.

Chapter Thirteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the delay, had some trouble with my account but it's all good now. :) Enjoy this next chp!

 

Brielle didn’t see Alex again until Monday afternoon. He disappeared Sunday evening and wasn’t at breakfast the next morning. Denise had no idea where her son had gone off to; she’d barely gotten to talk to him in his office telling Brielle and Lily he had rushed off on her and was out the door before she could even get out a hello. So the three dined without him and Brielle fretted about him being somewhere out there driving while intoxicated. But no phone calls came from any hospital or police station and Alex finally walked through the door Monday afternoon.

Brielle was seated at the grand piano in the corner of his living room plucking at the keys. When she was little, her mother had signed her up for piano lessons and she’d taken them begrudgingly for two years. Not enough to be able to sit and play like a pro, but enough to manage Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

“Do you play?”

She turned at the sound of his voice and found him in the doorway watching her. “Not really. I took lessons for a few years when I was little. But I don’t remember much.”

He nodded some then joined her at the piano, leaning against the side of it. “Where are the others?”

“Um, Lily is out back in the pool and your mom went to the grocery store.” She didn’t look at him, just traced her fingers over the ivory keys.

“Oh.” He was quiet a moment then slipped onto the bench next to her. “How are you?”

“I’m okay.”

Alex sighed and slipped the shades off his eyes. “I’m sorry about yesterday.”

Brielle turned to him at that, noticing the redness in his eyes and the dark circles beneath them. “What happened to you?”

He frowned. He was trying to apologize. “Nothing, but I wanted to apologize to you for yesterday. I shouldn’t have made you go out the window like that.”

“Yeah, that wasn’t very nice of you. I might have been hurt, or the baby could have been.”

“I know,” he fiddled with the arms of his glasses, “and I’m sorry. I just …panicked.”

“Why can’t your mom know about your drinking?”

Alex sighed and set his shades on the piano. “She doesn’t like it. So, I don’t tell her I do it.”

“You’re a grown man, why can’t you do what you want?” She shrugged and plucked at a few more keys.

“Because then I’ll have to listen to her bitch at me. And who likes to hear their mother bitch at them?” He nudged her playfully with his arm. “You know what I’m talking about, don’t you?”

“Okay, I’ll give you that much.”

Alex nodded and watched her a moment. “Are you sure you’re okay? You seem a little,” he searched for the right word, “off.”

She shrugged again. “I’m alright.” A pause. “How’s Renee?”

At the mention of her name, Alex gave a small groan and rubbed his forehead. “She is driving me crazy.”

“Is that where you went, yesterday?”

“Yeah, I kind of took off on my mom and went over there.”

“Yeah, she told us you did that.” She chuckled low. “I’m sure she is going to have a million and one questions for you once she gets back here.”

He nodded at that. “You didn’t tell her anything, did you?”

“No.”

“Good.” He sighed and studied her a moment. “You know, there was a point in my life where I didn’t think things could get any worse than they were at that time.”

Brielle blinked some at that, feeling a heavy weight in her chest. Here it was; where Alex told her to pack up and move out. “But um…they did, huh?”

“Well, not really, but right now they’re teetering dangerously close.”

She swallowed the lump in her throat. “Um, I uh…talked to Lily last night and …we both think that I should go back to New York.”

Alex stilled at her words, staring at her as if she had pulled the rug right out from under him. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” she ignored the tears that were gathering in her eyes and concentrated on the piano keys before her. She refused to look at him and she had to keep this conversation to a minimal, “with Renee expecting now, it’s probably better for all of us.”

His eyes narrowed some. “How is that better for everyone? I think it’d be worse; you’d be back to no job and no place to live, our child would be living on the streets, I wouldn’t get to be there for them.”

“But you have Renee and her baby now.”

“So you think because she’s having my child too, that I wouldn’t want you around?”

“You just said you felt like your life couldn’t possibly get any worse.” She turned her teary eyes to him. “Do you think I want to be here creating more stress and drama for you?”

He frowned. “You think that’s all you are? Someone here taking up space and ruining my life?”

She looked away from him and wiped at her cheeks, damning herself for letting him see her cry. “You were…so upset yesterday and…and I didn’t know what to do.”

Alex felt his heart pang at the tremors in her voice and his anger just melted away. “Hey, come on now, don’t cry.” He reached and smoothed a hand over her back. “I’m not upset with you; just myself, okay? You haven’t done anything wrong and I don’t want you to leave.”

“What are you going to do?” She sniffed out, continuing to wipe at her cheeks. “Have two pregnant women here and cater to them both?”

“I don’t know yet, but we’ll figure it out.” He leaned in and kissed her shoulder in a touching gesture. “You don’t worry about that though, you’ve got enough on your plate with trying to eat right, take care of yourself and all the stuff that comes with being pregnant.”

Brielle cleared her throat and looked to him. “I’m gonna get a job. Tomorrow, I’ll go out looking and as soon as I can, I’ll get a place of my own.”

“Don’t rush it, sweetheart. We’ve got time. Besides, I told you I’d help find you something and I’ll do that. I don’t want you to stress yourself out.”

“I know,” she wiped the tears from her hands onto her pants, “but I can’t just sit around here.”

“Okay, tomorrow I’ll make some phone calls.” He gave her shoulder a squeeze. “How’s that?”

She nodded. “That sounds good.”

“Good.” He smiled and mentally cheered himself for getting her waterworks to stop. Glancing to the piano, he thought a subject change was probably best. “You want me to teach you a few things on here?” He questioned, stroking a few keys and letting the notes linger in the air before pulling his hand away.

Brielle looked to him. “You play?”

“Oh yeah,” a small grin formed over his lips, “I play alright.”

She had to chuckle at his expression. “Play something for me.”

“Okay.” He flexed his fingers then cracked his knuckles and ran a few chords to warm up. “Anything in particular you’d like to hear?”

She tilted her head and scooted some to make sure he had enough room. “Hm…no. Are you going to sing too?”

“I could.”

She smiled softly. “Please.”

He couldn’t tell her no, didn’t know if he ever could. “Okay.” Then turning to the keys before him, he relaxed his shoulders, closed his eyes and let his fingers do the talking.

The music was beautiful and Brielle felt entranced by it as she watched his fingers effortlessly glide across the keyboard. Inside of her, something stirred and when he began to sing, goosebumps flashed across her skin and her heart knocked against her chest.

“In the light of the sun, is there anyone? Oh it has begun...
Oh dear, you look so lost, eyes are red and tears are shed,
This world you must've crossed... you said...

You don't know me; you don't even care, oh yeah,
She said
You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,

Essential yet appealed; carry all your thoughts… across
An open field,
When flowers gaze at you... they're not the only ones who cry
When they see you
You said...

You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah,
She said
You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,”


As he played, his hands began to stroke the keys with more feeling and the notes began to harden. His lids fluttered open and he looked to Brielle, their eyes locking and chills running down her spine. The breath in her chest caught in her throat and she found herself falling into him and his beautiful voice; his words touching her deep inside and exposing her vulnerabilities to him.

“She said I think I'll go to Boston...
I think I'll start a new life,
I think I'll start it over, where no one knows my name,
I'll get out of California; I'm tired of the weather,
I think I'll get a lover and fly him out to Spain...
I think I'll go to Boston,
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town, to leave this all behind...
I think I need a sunrise; I'm tired of the sunset,
I hear it's nice in the summer; some snow would be nice... oh yeah,

Boston... where no one knows my name... yeah
Where no one knows my name...
Where no one knows my name...
Yeah Boston...
Where no one knows my name.”*


He trailed off and his fingers stilled, the last of the notes echoing through the room and fading away.

Their eyes were still locked and Brielle knew hers were shimmering with tears. They could have been in a room filled with hundreds of people and she would have noticed no one but him. The way he was watching her made her heart skip a beat and she reached for his hand, finding herself being drawn closer and closer until their breaths became one and his lips brushed over hers, ever so slightly and with a hesitance that was a mix of nerves and emotions.

Then they were kissing and his hand found its way up into her hair as his mouth covered hers. She felt his lips trembling against her own and that fueled her to pull him closer, her arms wrapping around his neck and one hand moving to the back of his head.

Alex gave a small sound in his throat at that and he cupped her cheek, his thumb smoothing on the soft skin there. He nipped at her lips and she felt herself melting into his embrace, her thoughts going clear out the window as he pulled her under and they were intertwined together; body and soul. Hearts pounded against chests and they pressed closer, the heated kisses urging them on, becoming more insistent and demanding. Hands began to roam and they both became lost in the other, only aware of the sound of their heartbeats and that distant roar that filled their heads.

The sound of a door slamming interrupted the two and they broke apart as if they had been knocked off the pedestal that had become their world for the brief moment.

Alex wet his bottom lip and ran a hand over his face, sitting up fully. He looked to Brielle who was tucking her hair behind her ears and looking everywhere but at him, trying in a desperate attempt to gather her composure. “Um,” he had no idea what to say; completely at a loss for anything at the moment. Her touches had caused a reaction in him that he hadn’t felt in a long time and thought he’d never feel again and now it was taking all his willpower not to pull her into his arms and kiss her until neither of them had a breath left in their bodies.

“That um…” Brielle shifted her gaze toward the doorway then back to Alex, “that was a beautiful song.”

He didn’t know how to respond, not expecting her to blow off the intimate moment they had just shared. “Oh, yeah, thank you.”

She nodded and fiddled with the hem of her shirt. “You’re welcome. Did you write that yourself?”

“I did.”

Brielle hated the tension that was suddenly there. “Well, it’s very beautiful.”

“Thank you.” He reached out and smoothed a finger over some keys, causing the notes to sound against the stillness that was enveloping them.

She sighed and glanced toward the doorway again, wondering who was the source of the slamming door and if they were going to appear in the room at any moment. “So, um…”

Alex frowned and looked at her. “What was that?”

Her eyes widened with uncertainty. “What was what?”

“That kiss.”

“I…um…that…” she struggled for words, “you…you kissed me.”

“I think you kissed me.”

She blinked, looked to the piano then back at him. “I did?”

He chuckled low, not fully sure who made the move first. “Hell, I don’t know. But we were both kissing each other.”

“Yeah.” Brielle nodded some and chewed on her bottom lip. “Why do you think we did that?”

Alex lifted his brows and sighed some, resting both hands on his legs. “The music?”

“It was really touching. Music can be that strong, can’t it?”

“Yeah,” he nodded some, studying her reactions and the expression in her eyes, “some of it was the music.”

“Some?” She gulped and began smoothing the wrinkles from her shirt.

He shifted his gaze toward the doorway then back to the blonde next to him. “Some. I think part of it was that we both wanted to.”

“You did?”

He arched an eyebrow at her. “Didn’t you?”

“Well, I um…you…we…um…” she faltered and began to fidget, wishing she could run away from this entire situation, but knowing it would get her nowhere. He’d still be there when she decided to come back.

Alex reached out and gently took hold of her chin, lifting it some and forcing their eyes to meet again. “I’ve been wanting to kiss you since I saw you again in New York.”

“Alex,” the pulse in her neck was beginning to race once more, “this…we…this can’t be happening. Not now.”

His thumb brushed over her bottom lip before he released her. “I know.”

She nodded, smoothing her shirt in a nervous habit. “We have to pretend like this never happened.”

“I know.” He sighed and glanced to his lap, his right leg wiggling. He really needed a cigarette, but wasn’t supposed to be smoking around Brielle.

“Okay,” she finally spoke after a long silence fell between them. She lifted her head and met his gaze again. “We just go on like we’ve been doing, this didn’t happen. We’re okay.”

“Right.”

She offered a tight smile then rose from the bench. “I think I’m gonna go join Lily out back for awhile. That is, if she’s still in the pool.”

He nodded. “Okay, have fun. Holler if you two need anything.”

“I will.” She touched his shoulder then strolled from the room.

Alex watched her go then leaned forward and dropped his head on the piano, where the music typically rests. Well if that hadn’t just fucked everything up, he didn’t know what would. She was supposed to be out here so he could take care of her and their child, not so he could start developing real feelings for her and want to kiss her into oblivion. And talk about timing. Renee was pregnant with his child and they had just had a serious conversation about continuing their relationship and marriage was still on the table. And here he was, not even two hours later, kissing the first woman who was pregnant with his child. His life was turning into a damn soap opera and he felt completely powerless to stop it. The only thing that might at least help him feel like he could somewhat cope was his Jack D, which he desperately needed at the moment. And he thought he might have a bottle or two still stashed in the wet bar in his game room. With that thought in mind, he hopped up from the piano bench and headed that way.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, when are we going to tell your mom the wonderful news?”

It was two days later and Alex was again at Renee’s, where he’d been every night since finding out about the baby. He didn’t know what his problem was, but she’d call and he’d go running. Sure, he felt bad about ditching his guests, especially his mom, but Renee would complain about morning sickness and tell him she needed him there with her. So he went. The others seemed understanding so far, well the girls at least because they knew the truth and he was managing to avoid any one on one time with his mother and her questions. But the end of the rope was coming soon and he knew his time was running out.

Alex glanced over to his fiancée, who was leaned all comfortable into his side. “Um, well…when do you want to?”

“Tomorrow.”

He lifted his brows. “Tomorrow?”

“Yeah,” she pushed herself into a sitting position and smoothed her shirt down around her midriff, “it’s a good a time as any.”

He didn’t think he was ready to announce it to his mom tomorrow, but what could he do about it. “Alright, tomorrow it is.”

A big grin covered her face and she grabbed his cheeks, placing a big kiss on his lips. “She is going to be so excited; I mean, knowing that she really is going to be a grandmother and not just maybe, cuz…you know, her baby might not be yours. I bet it’s not.”

He frowned and tried not to let her words upset him yet again. That was her daily thing; see what kind of shots she could take at Brielle in one day. “She has a name, you know.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” she waved it off, “and your mom and I can go baby shopping! Ooh, how exciting is that going to be? We’ll get to decorate a baby room and pick out pretty little clothes, ooh and come up with a name. Do you want a boy or a girl?”

He blinked some at her running excitement, wishing he had that much energy. “Uh…I haven’t really thought about it yet.”

“I want a girl; I mean, if it’s a boy, I’ll be just as happy, but little girls are just so adorable and they have so much more clothes.”

Alex suddenly needed to get away from the baby talk; it seemed to follow him everywhere and he was finding it difficult to breathe. “Um, Renee, how ‘bout we talk about something else for a bit.”

She arched a skinny brow. “You don’t like to talk about our baby?”

“No, that’s not it at all.” He shook his head and reached for her hand, but she yanked it away.

“I bet you talk with her about that baby that isn’t even yours.”

He frowned. “Brielle is her name and yes, we do talk about her baby because it is mine.”

“Yet, you don’t want to talk about this baby, which we know is yours.” Her gaze narrowed and she held a hand protectively to her stomach. “Are you fucking her again?”

He blinked. “What? No, no!” A frown line creased his forehead.

“Whatever.” She rose from the couch and placed her hands on her slender hips. “You know, I wasn’t going to say anything yet, but with all this attention you’re giving to Brielle and ignoring me, I think we need to have this conversation.”

His brow furrowed even more and he stood to meet her eye to eye. “And what conversation is that?”

Brielle,” she spit the name out over extenuating the fact that she did know the blonde’s name.

He knew this was coming. “What about her?”

“She has to go. There’s no way that we’ll be able to have a healthy relationship and raise our child with her around.”

He frowned at that. “I’m not sending her away.”

“Then give her some money so she can get her own place and set up visitations with the child like any normal person does if they’re not together.” She eyed him like she knew she was right. “Besides, if we’re going to get married, I’d like it to be before the baby is born and I’d kinda like to just have the house to ourselves for awhile.”

He rubbed the bridge of his nose. “I’m not going to pay her off and send her on her way. She needs me right now, Renee, and I’d like to think that you can understand that.”

The brunette sighed and approached him, smoothing her hands up his chest to his shoulders and around to his back. “I do understand, pookie bear,” she began, using her nickname for him, “but can’t you at least try to understand where I’m coming from? I need you too.” Those long lashes batted at him and she offered up her most sincere pout.

He hated how that look made him weak. “What am I supposed to do? I told her that I was going to be there and help her; and I don’t want to miss any of the pregnancy.”

“Then you can go with her to doctor appointments and buy her a crib, but she doesn’t have to live in your house or take up all your time.” Her mouth nipped at his ear.

He shivered at that and tried to will the goosebumps away. “I’ll think about it.” He didn’t want to do it, but she had this uncanny effect on him and could always get her way.

“Well, I guess that’s better than no.”

His hands smoothed around her waist and slowly up her back. “That’s right.”

“Mmhmm,” she nibbled her way along his neck, “how ‘bout we take this into the bedroom and I try to convince you to say yes?”

Alex wet his bottom lip and felt his will weakening. But before he could agree or stand his ground, his cell phone gave its familiar ring.

Renee frowned and pulled back, annoyance evident on her face. “Who is that?”

“I don’t know.” He grabbed it out of his pocket and checked the screen. “It’s my mom; I should answer it.”

“Of course.” She rolled her piercing green eyes then turned and sauntered off toward the bedroom.

He frowned at her attitude then lifted the phone to his ear. “Hello?”

“Alex? Where are you?”

There was a note of alarm in her voice and immediately his stomach dipped. “I’m at Renee’s; what’s wrong?”

“It’s Brielle, she’s having these horrible pains in her stomach, I’m taking her to the hospital.”

“What? Shit, is she okay? Is it the baby?” His heart was suddenly in his mouth.

“We don’t know, we’re heading out the door right now. Can you meet us at Cedars-Sinai?”

“I’m on my way,” he didn’t even hesitate then severed the call and shoved the phone back into his jean pocket. Glancing in the direction Renee had gone; Alex swiped up his keys from the coffee table. “Renee? I have to go! I’m so sorry. I’ll explain it later, okay? Love you!” Then he was racing for the front door and outside to his car before she could respond.



*Lyrics to Boston by Augustana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X__jcMidPZI

Chapter Fourteen by summer
Author's Notes:
So glad the site is back! Welcome back readers! Enjoy this new update! Thanks again for all the feedback! :)
With his heart in his throat, Alex zipped through town and into the hospital parking lot. He was out of his car and racing for the front doors before he’d even come to a complete stop. Once inside, he questioned the nurse at the desk where Brielle Madison was and was instructed to wait in the ER waiting room. He frowned at that, but didn’t put up a fuss and paced back and forth; only looking up when his name was called and Lily was rushing over to him.

“Hey, where is she? What happened? Is she okay? What about the baby?” He rattled the questions off before she could even get a word out.

Lily grabbed his arm, tears spilling down over her cheeks. “I don’t know, they wouldn’t let me back with her. The doctor hasn’t come out yet. Ooh, Alex, what if something horrible has happened?”

He took hold of her shoulders and led her to a secluded corner so not every Jim, Bob and Harry in the joint could overhear them. “Where’s my mom?”

“She’s with Brie. She told them she was the grandmother and they let her go with her.”

Well, that was good, at least she wasn’t alone. “What happened?”

Lily wiped at the tears on her cheeks. “We were having dinner and she started having these stabbing pains in her lower stomach,” she used her hand to show him where, “and they wouldn’t go away, so we came here.”

“Did you call her doctor?”

The brunette nodded. “She’s supposed to meet her here. God, if something horrible happens, I’m …” she trailed off and shook her head, squeezing her eyes tight.

Alex slipped his arm around her shoulders. “Hey, we can’t think like that. You guys did the right thing by bringing her here and now the doctors are going to do what they can and figure it all out.”

“Right,” she sniffed and wiped her cheeks again then gave a dry chuckle, “she wasn’t supposed to have something like this happen to her again. I warned her last time.”

“I know,” he gave her a squeeze; “we just have to think that she’s going to be okay.”

Lily nodded and cleared her throat some, glancing around. “Where are the doctors? How long does it take to evaluate someone?”

Alex shrugged some and looked around as well, frowning when he spotted the cameraman in the corner. “Shit.”

Lily felt her pulse quicken. “What? What is it?”

The tattooed man rubbed his eyes. “The paparazzi are here.” He pulled away from her. “Let’s go ask the nurse for a private room to wait in. They’re pretty good about that kind of thing.”

Lily nodded and followed behind Alex as he approached the desk again and spoke with the receptionist. She quickly agreed and within minutes they were in a private waiting room that consisted of some chairs, a TV and a table littered with magazines.

“Well, this is better than having to sit next to the woman coughing on everyone,” Lily mused as she sank into a chair and grabbed up a magazine.

Alex sank down beside her. “I know right.”

She flipped through the magazine then tossed it back where she’d gotten it. “They’ll know we’re in here right?”

“Yeah, the receptionist said she would note it on the chart.”

Lily nodded and was quiet a moment, her leg bouncing up and down in a nervous fashion. “Your mom said you were at Renee’s.”

He looked to her. “Yeah, I was.”

“Are you two making up now that she’s having your child, too?”

He sighed and slouched some in the chair, leaning his head back against the wall. “I don’t know what we are.”

Lily wet her bottom lip. “Brie told me that you talked her into staying here in Cali.”

His head snapped in her direction. Had she told her about the kiss too? “Um, I did. I don’t want her to leave.”

“Yeah, she said you got a little upset.”

“Well, you would too if you were in my place.”

Lily nodded some. “Yeah, but do you really expect her to stick around just so you can be there for the baby when you’re having another child with your fiancée; a woman you supposedly love and want to spend the rest of your life with? She’s a person with her own wants and dreams and her own life to live.”

Alex lifted his brow. “You don’t want her to stay?”

“I want her to do what’s best for her.” She watched him with a serious expression. “I admit, I wanted her to come out here and visit and let you help with everything and I don’t want her to shut you out of her and this child’s life, but if you’re going to be having this other baby with Renee and you plan on marrying her, where does that leave Brielle? Someone who uprooted her life and moved clear across the country for you.”

“Hey, it was for her too. She wasn’t exactly in a good position to not come out here.”

Lily sighed. “I know and I wanted her to come out here, but things have changed and how can I tell her to stay out here for you, if you’re off living your happy life with Renee and this other child?”

“So I’m not supposed to marry the woman I love and have children with her because of Brielle?” He frowned. “How does that make sense? I thought it was my life and I got to make my own decisions in it.”

“You’re misunderstanding me. Of course it’s your life and you can make your own decisions, you can do whatever you want. I just don’t want Brie to end up on the raw end of any deal or hurt or alone.” Her green eyes showed the love and concern she had for her friend. “You forget that once I leave here, she has no one but you. And if you’re off playing happy family with Renee and this new baby, where does that leave her?”

“I’m gonna get her a job. I called a few people the other day and she’s supposed to meet them next week.”

“That’s great and all, but what’s that going to accomplish?”

He sighed and shifted some in his seat, leaning forward in the chair. “She’ll start making friends and then have a life of her own.”

“I just don’t want this baby to be the only thing connecting you two.”

Alex frowned at that. “You think that’s the only thing that would keep us communicating?”

She shrugged. “You tell me.”

Alex’s frown deepened. “I care a lot for Brielle and you should know that. I’m not gonna just be in and out of her life when I come to pick the kid up for the weekend. I hope we’re able to stay close and be in each other’s lives as permanent fixtures.”

“What about Renee?”

“What about her?”

“She hates Brie.”

“She doesn’t-” he stopped himself short. Lily was very right; Renee hated Brielle with a strong passion and he knew she would not make it easy, whatsoever, for him and the blonde to keep in touch. She was already trying to convince him to send her off somewhere else to live.

Lily turned back right in her chair. “I rest my case.”

“Shit,” Alex cursed, rubbing his eyes and ducking his head. “What the fuck am I supposed to do?” The phone in his pocket began to ring, but he ignored it.

Lily waited until it had quieted before speaking again, “I guess you have to figure out what you really want, deep down; not what everyone wants you to want.”

“I don’t know what the hell that is.” He didn’t look up. “I used to think I knew what I wanted, but ever since you contacted my mom and she called me about Brielle, everything’s been changing and I feel like I’m sinking faster than I can swim.”

She didn’t know what to respond to that with, so she didn’t and the two lapsed into a silence that was interrupted by his phone until he withdrew it from his pocket and silenced it. Neither one spoke again until the door to the waiting room opened and Brielle and Denise entered in.

“Brie!” Alex shot from his seat and was at her side in an instant “Are you okay? How are you feeling? What did the doctor say? Come have a seat.” And he was guiding her to the chairs and helping her down into one before anyone could speak up.

Denise chuckled low and touched her son’s back. “She gave us all quite a scare.”

“What happened?” Lily slipped into the seat next to her friend.

Brielle gave a sigh and smoothed a hand over her stomach. “Turns out it was nothing serious; just my uterus and ligaments stretching and growing.”

“What?” Alex frowned and crouched before her in the seat.

“Yeah, they stretch and it can hurt sometimes.” She shrugged some, feeling embarrassed at having it blown out of proportion and ending up at the hospital. Her doctor had been very understanding though and told her she had done the right thing. Being her first pregnancy and all, Brielle really had no idea what to expect and you could read every book out there and still not be prepared enough.

“Are you sure that’s all it was?” Lily questioned. “Did they check you over completely? The baby too?”

“They did,” Denise answered for her. “Did an ultrasound and ran some tests, but couldn’t find a thing. Doctor Morraseu said that’s what it had to be and so they told her to take it easy a few days and sent her home.”

Alex sat back on his heels, feeling a wave of relief wash over him. He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding and clasped her knee with one hand. “Thank God, you had us scared shitless.”

Brielle chuckled low at that, more so at the look his mother sent him then rested her hand atop his. “I was scared too. All I could think about was that…” she trailed off when tears began to fill her eyes.

“Oh, hey now, you’re okay.” Lily slipped her arm around her friend’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “We can’t think about what it might have been; it wasn’t that. Everything is okay.”

“Right.” She sniffed some and wiped under her eyes.

Alex studied her a moment then rose to his feet. “Okay, how ‘bout we get her home and into bed? I think we all could use some down time after all this.”

“That sounds good.” Denise nodded her head firmly. “Alex, how ‘bout you drive Brie back and Lily and I will follow. I want to stop at the store and pick up some stuff.”

“We can do that.” He held a hand towards the sullen blonde. “Shall we?”

“Yes.” She took his hand and stood as well, letting their hands stay clasped and heading from the room with him, Lily and Denise.

They made it as far as the corridor just inside of the entrance doors before they were spotted and flashbulbs starting going off like crazy. Brielle frowned and ducked her head, drawing closer to Alex’s side when he slipped a protective arm around her. Lily took her other side and Denise led the way, abruptly ignoring the photographers as they shouted questions about what the visit had been about and if Alex was going to be a father, where his fiancée was and who was the expectant mother.

Slowly, they pushed through the group and made it outside only to be greeted with more flashbulbs and rolling cameras.

“Shit.” The male of the group frowned. He should have known better and called one of his bodyguards before trying to leave on his own. But he hadn’t been thinking clearly given the circumstances and now it was too late. Mentally kicking himself in the ass for that, he slowly pushed his way through the group, carefully leading Brielle and Lily along. Denise elbowed her way to the front and began to clear a path, ignoring the questions and comments they threw out at her and the pop star.

Finally, they reached the vehicles and Alex got Brielle inside then forged his way around his SUV and slipped behind the wheel. He watched out the window, trying to ignore the bright flashbulbs going off in his face, to make sure his mom and Lily made it to his other vehicle they had driven then finally he buckled up and started the engine.

“Geeze oh pete’s, are they always this horrible?” Brielle kept her head ducked and pulled her hair around her face to help hide it from the photographers just outside the window. “You’d think we were the Queen of England or something.”

Alex flipped his visor down and pulled his shades on then started from the parking space, slowly and carefully so he didn’t run anyone over; though at the moment he’d have loved nothing more than plowing through the crowd. “It’s normally not this crazy, but I guess with the baby rumors they’re all trying to be the first to get the dish.”

She made a little face. “I’m sorry. I’m sure they’re going to run like crazy with this.”

“Probably so.”

“How do you think they’re going to react when news of Renee’s pregnancy comes out?”

He glanced to her at that, feeling his stomach take a dive. “Um…I have no idea.” Shit, why couldn’t he be just an average Joe with a normal job? He never wanted to change it before, but all this drama was seriously making him wish that right now he wasn’t some celebrity who was hounded by the paparazzi.

She nodded and fell silent and Alex maneuvered the SUV out the parking lot and finally away from the flashing bulbs of the photographers.

“Are you hungry?” He glanced to her as they headed for the main highway.

Brielle shook her head. “No.”

“You feel okay?”

“Yeah, just tired.” Her head rested against the back of her seat and she watched him in the dim lighting that was available via the streetlamps. “How are you holding up?”

Alex glanced to her. “I’m okay.”

She studied him a moment, wishing it was a bit lighter so she could see his eyes. “Been pretty stressful, huh?”

“You’re telling me.” He gave a heavy sigh and shook his head some. “I need to tell my mom about Renee, but I can’t seem to bring myself to do it.”

“Well, you better do it before she finds out on TV.”

“I know right,” he shook his head again, “and knowing Renee, she isn’t going to hide it or avoid the questions.”

Brielle made a face. “Yikes; let’s hope she doesn’t run to the press and let it out herself.”

He cut his eyes to her at that, feeling a slight panic in his chest. He wouldn’t put it past her one bit to do that exact thing; especially once the news of Brielle and tonight came out. “Shit.”

The blonde’s eyes widened. “She’d do something like that?”

“Hell if I know. She might if she gets mad at all the attention you’re getting.”

“I’m so sorry, Alex.” She turned her eyes out the window to her right and watched the passing scenery. This whole pregnancy with Renee was going to be enough stress in itself for him and even herself. Maybe she should go back to New York if even for sake of her mind.

Alex chewed the inside of his cheek as he drove and the silence began to fill the vehicle. A hundred thoughts were going through his mind at the moment and he felt like he was winning a losing battle. The space in the SUV seemed to shrink and that familiar tightness in his chest started. He could already feel that thirst in his mouth and his hand was just itching to wrap around a cool bottle of Jack D and drink it until this pain went away and he was numb to it all. “Do you mind if we make a quick pit stop before heading back home?”

Brielle looked to him. “Oh, no, that’s fine with me.”

“Good.” He flexed his fingers on the wheels and turned the opposite direction of his house. “It won’t take long; I just wanna pick something up.”

“Sure.” She smoothed her fingers over her lap then fiddled with the slim watch on her wrist.

Alex nodded and within minutes they were pulling into the parking lot of an ABC Liquor store. He pulled into the spot closest to the door and left the engine running; the SUV in park. “Okay, I won’t be but a minute.”

Brielle eyed the storefront then shifted her eyes to her companion. “More Jack Daniels?”

“Just a couple bottles.” He pulled his wallet from his back pocket and checked the billfold for cash.

“I’m not sneaking them into your house through any windows.”

He laughed at that, letting it slowly fade at the serious expression on her face. She meant it. “You won’t have to.”

Brielle nodded then looked back to the storefront, taking in the interior of the store she could see through the large front windows.

Alex watched her a moment then pushed the driver’s door open. “Okay, sit tight, I’ll be quick.” Then he slipped from the vehicle and strode up to the store, disappearing inside.

The blonde sighed and slouched some in her seat, smoothing a hand over the small bump of her stomach; thankful that nothing had been wrong with the baby. She had been petrified when the sharp pains had shot through her lower tummy and at first had wanted to keep it to herself for fear of what it might be, but the pain had been too intense and Lily had picked up on it immediately. So she’d confessed and Denise had jumped into action; timing the pains to see how far apart they were and how severe then when walking around or heat hadn’t helped, she’d bundled Brielle up and zipped them to the hospital.

The part that had touched the expectant mother the most was that Denise hadn’t hesitated when asked if she was related to Brielle. She’d chimed in that she was the grandmother of the baby and was going to stay with the blonde for as long as she possibly could and if she couldn’t then they would probably need a forklift to physically move her away. That had brought tears to her eyes and she had gripped the older woman’s hand so tight it had left small indentions, but Denise hadn’t winced or complained a bit.

And during the ultrasound and tests they’d done, when Brielle was on edge and nearly panicking at the thought of losing the baby, it had been Denise who had calmed her and talked to her, reassuring her that the doctor’s were doing everything they could and it would all turn out okay in the end. Brielle hadn’t wanted to believe her, because how would she possibly know that, but it had. The pain had been nothing but stretching ligaments and the baby was okay; Denise had been right. And the blonde was confident now that the two would get along and there weren’t going to be any issues or drama. Which she was especially thankful for because that is the last thing Alex needed. He had enough going on and she did not want any hand in adding to it. Even if it was something she couldn’t control.

The sound of a cell phone jarred her thoughts and Brielle frowned, peering around her. Where was that coming from? She certainly didn’t own a cell. Glancing over to Alex’s seat, she spied his iPhone and reached for it. It must have slipped from his pocket when he got out his wallet. Maybe it was Denise calling to find out why she had beaten them home. But it was Renee’s name that flashed across the screen and the blonde bit her bottom lip, her gaze lifting to the store. Should she answer it?

Luckily the ringing stopped before she could decide and she reached to set it on the console between the two seats, jerking when the ringtone started up again. Flipping it over, Renee’s name once more flashed on the screen. Brielle glanced toward the store again and was just setting it down when a thought entered her mind; what if something was wrong? Maybe she should answer it. Against her better judgment, she pressed the talk button and lifted the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

There was a pause then Renee’s voice flowed out, “Who the hell is this?”

Brielle wet her bottom lip, her eyes trained on the storefront glass of the liquor store. “Brielle.”

“What the fuck are you doing answering my fiancé’s phone?”

“Um, Alex ran into the store for a minute and left his phone in the car.”

“Heh, figures he’d run out of me to go to you.”

Brielle frowned. “He wasn’t running out on you; I was in the hospital.”

“Yeah, sure; bet you’re not even pregnant.”

The blonde’s brows rose. “Um, we’ve had ultrasounds done. I am pregnant.”

She could hear Renee’s hatred in her voice and it made her cringe, “Yeah, yeah, but it’s not Alex’s, is it? You’re just trying to ride his coattails.”

“Um, I’ll let Alex know you called.” It had been a big mistake to pick up the phone.

“Don’t you dare hang up that phone,” Renee ordered and Brielle paused, shifting her eyes to the device. “I wanted to talk to you anyway.”

Brielle wet her bottom lip. “About what?”

“About you living in my fiancé’s home; I think you need to move out.”

“What?” She frowned. “Alex invited me.”

“Yeah, he can’t help himself; he reaches out to everyone. One time he nearly let some homeless people stay with him, but fortunately I stepped in. Oh, what am I saying; you’re homeless too.”

The blonde felt that comment cut her. “Until Alex asks me to leave, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Well, no worries, because we’ll be married soon, before this baby is born, and then I’ll be living there too and I can guarantee that you won’t be,” she spoke it so casual, but Brielle could hear the underlying hatred.

It was on the tip of her tongue to tell the other woman where she could stick it, but she held back; she was trying not to create more drama. “I’ll tell Alex you called,” she replied with instead then cut the phone off before Renee could object. Tossing it back into the driver’s seat, she rubbed her temples and closed her eyes. That woman was a headache and a half and it was no wonder Alex was drinking. She could drive anyone to drink and the blonde would certainly have gone for a swallow had she not been pregnant.

The sound of the door being opened came and Brielle glanced behind her to see Alex tucking a brown paper bag into the backseat of the SUV. He then joined her in the front and set his wallet and phone on the console between the seats. “Okay, you ready?”

Brielle nodded and smoothed her hair. “Yes.”

“Sweet.” He grinned at her then got buckled and soon they were pulling out of the parking lot and heading for his place.

The blonde rode along in silence, fiddling with her fingers and trying to figure what to say about Renee’s phone call. Finally, she just blurted it out, “Renee called while you were in the store. I answered thinking something might be wrong.”

Alex shifted his eyes to her then back to the road. “What did she say?”

“That I’m lying about this being your child and that she wants me out of your house.”

“What?!” He exploded, turning to her and giving the wheel a hard jerk.

“Watch out!” Brielle cried out as the SUV cut sharply to the right and scraped the curb.

Alex tried to correct his mistake, but overestimated the distance and the vehicle lunged into the opposite lane, heading right for an oncoming truck.

Brielle screamed a warning as the truck blasted its horn and swerved sharply to its right. Alex cursed out loud and jerked the wheel again managing to bring them back onto their side of the road, narrowly missing the other vehicle. “Shit!” He steered over to the side of the road and put the SUV into park; his hands trembling and his heart feeling like it had slid right down into his toes. “Are you okay?”

It felt like every muscle in her body was shaking and her eyes were as wide as saucers, the pounding of her heart loud in her ears. Not able to speak, she managed a slight nod.

“I’m so sorry.” He ran a hand through his hair and swallowed hard. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

Brielle put a hand to her chest. “Ye…yeah.” She met his gaze and blinked her wide and frightened eyes. “What…what was that?”

He shook his head, mentally kicking his ass. “I overcorrected myself. But we’re okay, right? You’re okay.”

“Yeah.” Her hands smoothed over her tummy. “Though, I think I might have peed myself a little.”

He blinked. “Seriously?”

She chuckled low. “No, not seriously, but I nearly did.”

“I’m sorry; that’s never going to happen again.”

“Good, because I think my life flashed before my eyes; or what little of a life I have, anyway.”

Alex reached and took her hand in his. “I’m sorry.”

Brielle chuckled and gave his hand a squeeze. “You’ve said that like three times already; I believe you and it’s okay. Nothing happened, we’re both good.”

“Right.” He nodded some. “I didn’t mean to freak out there with what Renee said.”

“I’m surprised you’re so shocked; even I knew she hated me.”

“Well, yeah, but…” he sighed and shook his head some, “I’m sorry she does; you’re a beautiful and wonderful person and she’s just so angry about everything and that’s why she hates you. If she really knew you, she’d like you.” A small grin tugged at his lips. “I do.”

“You’re not supposed to. You’re supposed to like her and want to be with her and want to kiss her; not me.”

“I do like her.”

Brielle lifted a brow. “Do you? Or do you feel obligated to her because of the baby?”

A frown creased his forehead. “I love Renee; sure, we have our problems, but what couple doesn’t?”

He had her there considering she wasn’t even in a relationship to know. “You’re right, I’m sorry. What is going on between you and Renee is your business and not mine.”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to apologize. I’m sorry that she said those things to you and of course you’re not leaving my home.” His expression was serious and he looked like he meant every word he was saying. “And you don’t have to until you’re ready and I told you I’d help you get set up in a place and I will.”

“I know.” The blonde gave a small nod. “And I hope to be out of there before you two get married.”

That frownline appeared again. “What?”

“Yeah, she mentioned that you guys will be getting married before the baby is born.”

His frown deepened. “We hadn’t decided on that for sure. I can’t believe she said that to you.”

“She hates me, Alex; can you blame her? She’s trying to hurt me and run me off.”

“She never used to be like that.” He rubbed his eyes and gave a heavy sigh, hating the sick feeling that was slowly building in his stomach.

Brielle pouted and touched his arm. “I can still go back with Lily.”

“You’re not going back.”

She bit her bottom lip at the scowl on his face. “I know; I was half joking.”

He sighed and turned to look out the front windshield, completely at a loss for words. Renee’s behavior was surprising to him and he was embarrassed that it was happening. Not only did it make her look like a horrible person, but it made him look the fool for being with someone like that. As if he had no idea how to pick them. She had never been that hateful or vengeful before and he didn’t know how to explain it or even how to begin to understand it. Bringing it up to her was out of the question, for it’d only start a fight or she’d deny it entirely, maybe play nice a few days then be back to her tricks. What was he supposed to do? How did he keep the peace between the two women and not lose his mind? Maybe he needed to talk to his mom; she always seemed to know what to do. He hoped it held true for this situation as well.

“How ‘bout we go home.”

Alex glanced over to Brielle and noted the unspoken compassion in her eyes that seemed to be telling him that it would be okay. Grateful to have one person who seemed to understand, he just nodded then shifted the SUV into drive, checked for traffic and pulled back out into the roadway. Home sounded pretty damn good to him at the moment and the Jack Daniels in the backseat sounded even better.
Chapter Fifteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Tried to get this one done as soon as I could; hope you enjoy it! Thanks again for all the feedback! :)

Alex didn’t emerge from his bedroom until close to two the following day. Dark circles lined his eyes and he’d had to nearly pry them open once he finally awoke. The hot shower didn’t help and his head felt as if someone had shoved an entire pack of cotton balls into it. Thankful for the shades that covered his eyes and hid them from view, he’d finally wandered downstairs to face his mother and hope she wasn’t beginning to suspect. He found her in the kitchen making up a fresh vat of iced tea, humming along with the song on the radio in there.

“Mornin’.”

Denise glanced over and spotted her son. “Afternoon is more like it.”

“Sorry I slept so late.” He pulled a bowl from the cupboard and spun the lazy susan around before selecting a box of cereal.

“Did you stay up all night?”

Alex shook his head and poured himself a bowl of the Fruit Loops. “Guess I was just tired.”

“Are you feeling alright?” She turned and leaned against the counter, eying her son carefully.

“Eh, best I can be feeling considering.”

“Considering what?”

He winced and pulled a gallon of milk from the fridge; he’d momentarily forgotten that his mom didn’t know about Renee’s pregnancy. “Considering everything that’s going on.”

“Have you been drinking again?”

Alex froze at that question then quickly recovered and began to pour the ice cold milk into his cereal bowl. “No.” A sick sensation started in his stomach as he lied to his mother, but knew she couldn’t find out the truth.

“Then what’s with the sunglasses? You only used to wear them inside like this if you were hiding your eyes after you’d been drinking all night.”

“I’m not drinking.” He picked his bowl up and stepped around to the other side of the counter, sliding up onto a bar stool. “Where are the girls?”

Denise sighed and studied him a moment before shaking her head and returning to her task at hand. “They went shopping. Leigh came by and picked them up and took ‘em out. I called her and asked if she would; I figured they needed some girl time without you or me around.”

“Was Brielle feeling okay?”

“She seems to be. Said she felt some slight pain this morning, but felt okay otherwise.”

Alex frowned at that; if she were feeling pain she should have stayed home and rested. “When will they be back?”

“Sometime before dinner.”

“And they went with Leigh?”

“Yeah, she said it’d be no problem to take ‘em out somewhere long as they didn’t mind James going along.”

Alex chuckled. “I doubt they would.”

“I’m sure they’ll have a good time.” She selected a glass from the cupboard, shifting her eyes toward her son again. “So, where did you and Brielle disappear to last night? Lily and I were surprised to beat you home.”

He shrugged and shoveled a bite of food into his mouth, waiting until it was gone before replying, “We just talked some.” The lies were beginning to come easier now and the sour feeling in his stomach was beginning to dissipate.

“Is she doing okay?”

“I hope so.”

Denise poured herself some tea then joined Alex at the counter, taking her own bar stool. “She really seems very sweet and I know she was scared out of her mind yesterday, but she handled it so well; that poor thing.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here. Next time, call me as soon as anything out of ordinary happens.”

“I called you before we even left for the hospital.”

“I know.” He spooned another bite into his mouth.

Denise sighed and sipped on her tea, trying not to obviously study her son. Something was up with him and she had a sickening feeling she knew what it was, though she desperately hoped it wasn’t. That’s the last thing anyone needed at the moment, but it’s something she feared ever since she opened that message on facebook from Lily. Alex had worked so hard to overcome his addiction to alcohol and drugs and he’d been successful and Denise couldn’t remember ever feeling more proud than she had then, but it was an ongoing struggle and something he was going to have to deal with for the rest of his life. And as his mother, Denise held her breath every time he would go through a stressful situation that might make him pick up a bottle. She was afraid he’d turn back to the alcohol and if her motherly instincts were telling her anything, it looked like he already had.

“Alex, you would tell me if you were having a hard time handling everything, wouldn’t you?”

Her son turned from his cereal and used the back of his hand to wipe his mouth. “I’m handling things just fine, Mom.”

“Alright.” She gave a nod then took up her tea and took a drink.

“Hello? Anyone home?”

Both sets of eyes turned toward the hallway as Renee sauntered into the room, a tote bag hanging off her shoulder. Alex gave an inward groan and felt the dull ache in his head slowly morphing into a pounding headache.

“Renee.” Denise looked surprised then quickly covered it and slipped from the stool. “How are you, dear?”

Renee shot her a look that seemed to say ‘why do you care’ then offered up a sickening sweet smile and set her bag on the counter. “Denise, it’s so nice to see you. I’m doing just great; how are you?” She moved around the counter and embraced the shorter, older woman with a hug she so desperately tried to pass off as loving.

Denise returned it with her own attempt at concealing her true feelings and the two women separated. “Would you like something to drink, Renee? We have some fresh brewed tea.”

Renee took the seat her future mother-in-law had vacated, smoothing a hand over onto her fiancée’s leg and giving it a squeeze. “Oh, no thank you, Denise; I can’t have caffeine.”

“Oh, alright; we have water or lemonade.”

“Water would be just fine, thank you.”

Alex quickly finished his cereal then shoved the bowl to the side. “What are you doing here?”

“Am I not allowed to come over? Last time I checked, I was the fiancée and this was going to become our home.”

He sighed and rubbed his forehead; not in the mood to deal with her snippy and snide remarks. “That’s not what I meant. I was just wondering what brought you by today.”

Renee smiled brightly. “Oh, I was just out doing some shopping and running errands and thought I’d come by and show you what I got.” With that comment, she slipped from the stool and back around the counter to her tote bag.

Denise moved back over and set her water glass on the counter. “Here’s your water, honey.”

“Oh, thank you.” She smiled at the older woman then withdrew a stack of magazines and books. “I figured it was time to start on the wedding planning, especially if we’re moving it up, which only gives us a few months to plan it.”

Alex felt his heart skip a beat and he swallowed hard. “Um, we hadn’t decided when we wanted to get married.”

“But it’s going to be before the baby is born.”

“We hadn’t decided for sure yet, Renee.”

The dark haired girl eyed her fiancé. “I’m not having a bastard child.”

Denise looked between the two. “Um…am I missing something?”

Renee turned to the other woman. “Alex hasn’t told you yet?”

The man in question gave a groan and felt his headache growing worse. “I hadn’t had a chance to.”

“Oh, well,” she offered up a bright smile, “you’re going to be a grandmother. Alex and I are having a baby!”

Denise blinked and stared at the raven haired girl. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Turning to her son, she sputtered before finally managing a ‘What?’.

Renee giggled and slipped her arm around Alex’s waist. “We’re so excited and we’ve been talking about moving the wedding up to before the due date.”

“I…well..” she was still speechless, completely bowled over by the news. What were the chances of two women being pregnant with her son’s children at the same time? Turning her gaze onto her son, she noted the pain on his face even with the dark shades covering his eyes and her heart immediately hurt for him.

He met her gaze and felt his knees weaken. All he wanted at the moment was his mother to hold him and make it all better; take away the fear and stress and tell him what to do to fix it all.

“So, are you feeling alright, Renee?” Denise pressed her lips together and used all the strength she could to turn from her son and look towards his fiancée.

“So far I’m doing well. I had a bit of morning sickness this morning, but it’s seemed to pass.” Renee set her books onto the counter and began to rifle through them. “I picked up a bunch of wedding magazines and books and I thought we could pick a wedding planner by this weekend so we can call and get scheduled in; though I’m sure with your status, it won’t be that difficult. And then…” she trailed off and opened the tote again, reaching in and withdrawing a thick, hardcover book. “I thought we could start reading about the baby.” Holding it toward Denise and Alex they could clearly see the picture of a baby being formed in the womb etched across it. “I think this is the thickest one I saw, so I figured it must have all the information we’ll need.”

Alex felt like his lungs were beginning to squeeze and tiny black spots were now dancing before his eyes. He needed to get out of the room before he either passed out or threw up all over her books. “Um, I…I need to…to go…do something,” he stammered as he swiped his keys from a nearby counter then fled the room, ignoring Renee’s calls behind him. Hopefully his mother would stall her and he could escape, because at the moment he wasn’t going to be able to handle even ten more seconds with his fiancée.

Luckily, his mother did her part and Renee didn’t give chase; though he didn’t let his breath out until he was inside his SUV and heading down the drive then through the gates at the front. He half expected to look in his rearview and find her following behind, but no cars appeared and he was soon out of his neighborhood and heading for the highway. Destination: he had no fucken clue, but long as it didn’t have babies, pregnant women or Renee, his mom, Brielle or Lily, he’d take anything.

~*~*~*~*~

“I’m not letting you drive out of here on your own, buddy; I don’t care what you say about it.”

Alex scowled at the burly man behind the bar counter. “Fuck you, man; I don’t have time to argue. Give me my damn keys.”

The man shook his head, his piercing blue eyes steady and his stance firm and unrelenting. “Nope, you’re gonna have to call someone or we’ll call you a cab.”

“Bullshit!” He leaned to swipe for the car keys in the bartender’s hand, misjudging his balance and sliding off the side of the stool. Quickly, he grabbed for the countertop, righting himself and cursing under his breath.

“See, you can’t even sit straight. You’ve had too much to drink and you’re not going out there on your own.”

The tattooed man frowned. “Fuck.” He rubbed his head then leaned forward and dropped it against the top of the counter.

The bartender eyed him. “You better call someone; we close in two hours and if you’re still here, it’ll be a cab that takes you home on your own dime.”

“Shit.” He sat himself up and rubbed his eyes, not being successful in clearing the blurriness that he was seeing. Alex knew he was fucked up; he should be after sitting in the run-down bar and downing glass after glass of Jack Daniels for the last six hours. After escaping from Renee and his mom, he’d driven around aimlessly for a few hours before ending up at the joint. Then he’d set up camp on a bar stool and hadn’t moved since; except twice to hit the head. He’d run out of cigarettes an hour ago, about the same time the bartender had finally cut him off and since then they’d been back and forth about the transportation he was going to use to finally vacate the premises.

“So, what’s it gonna be?”

Alex frowned. “Fuck you, man.” He patted his pocket and worked on finagling his phone from it, nearly slipping off the stool again in the process. Finally, he had it free then began to scroll through, trying to decide who would be the best choice at this time of night. His mom, Renee and even Brielle were clearly out of question; the last thing he needed was to come in stumbling drunk and cause his mom to have a heart attack and send him straight into rehab, or try and stage some kind of intervention. Finally, he selected a name on the list and held the phone to his ear.

A voice answered after the third ring, “Talk to me.”

“Nick?” He slurred out.

There was a pause. “AJ?”

“Yeah, s’me. You busy?”

There was another pause. “Have you been drinking?”

He frowned. “Yeah and the fucken bartender won’t lemme leave. He stole my keys.” His mouth felt thick and he knew his words were slurred, but there was nothing he could do about it.

Nick sighed. “You need me to come get you?”

“Yeah, cuz the guy’s a bitch.” He scowled over at the burly man who was busy pouring some more drinks. “Can ya bring me some smokes too? I ran out and I really need a smoke.”

“Where ya at?” He didn’t sound too pleased, but he didn’t voice it.

Alex told him the location then hung up. He didn’t bother pocketing his phone and dropped his head back down on the bar, insistent on staying in that position until his friend arrived. Which he did about thirty minutes later; strolling into the bar and glancing around until he spotted his bandmate, who looked like a sorry excuse at the moment.

“Hey, ready to roll?”

Alex lifted his head and turned to see Nick beside him. “Bro, ya made it.” He reached to clasp his shoulder and missed, falling forward and catching himself with the edge of the counter. “Damn, I keep doing that.”

“I’m sure it’s not cuz you’re fucked up.” The taller, younger man grabbed his friend’s arm and helped heave him from the stool. “Where are your keys?”

“Dumb bitch of a bartender has ‘em.”

Nick glanced in the direction Alex was waving and motioned the man over. They exchanged a few words then the blond man collected the keys and helped the drunken man out the door.

Once outside into the cool night air, he steered him toward his white Escalade then helped him up and inside. “Don’t you dare puke in my ride, man,” he warned before shutting the door and moving around to his own side.

Alex gave a groan and settled back in the seat. “I coulda drove myself. Gimme the keys, I can do that. You bring my smokes?”

The blond man shook his head and started the SUV up, adjusting the volume of the music that came blaring out of the speakers. “No way in hell, bro. You’re drunker than a skunk, not to mention, you go home like that and your mom will have your ass. And yes, but you’re not getting ‘em till we get to wherever you’re going; no way in hell you’re smoking in here.”

“Oh, I fo’gots ‘bout her.” He made a face at the last comment but relented and didn’t try to persuade the other man to hand them over.

“Uh huh,” his friend agreed as he maneuvered from the spot then headed from parking lot. “What the fuck were ya doing in there in the first place?”

Alex shrugged a shoulder. “My life is goin’ down the shithole; I was just trying to help it along.”

Nick glanced to him, but didn’t respond.

The two fell silent and the drunken man closed his eyes, feeling the ill effects the alcohol was having on his body.

“Where do you want me to take you?” The blond man questioned, interrupting his thoughts on how horrible his hangover was going to be the next morning.

“I can’t go to my place.”

“Wanna come to mine?”

“That okay? You weren’t tryin’ ta get some ass tonight, were ya?”

Nick snorted. “Please, bro; I don’t have to try to get any ass. And no, Laurel had to go to her mom’s for a few days, so it’s just me there. You’re more than welcome to crash for the night.”

“Sweet, thanks, man.” He sighed and rested his head against the back of the seat once more.

Nick glanced to him and gave a nod. “Anytime, man, anytime.”

~*~*~*~*~

Alex wanted to die the following morning. He woke just after ten and couldn’t get back to sleep with the splitting pain shooting through his head, or the queasiness that caused him to bolt twice to the bathroom. Whatever had possessed him to drink that much and for that long? He must have been out of his mind; and for the first time, remembered one of the many reasons he had given up the potent liquid in the first place. Feeling like his head was in a vice and wanting to do nothing more than crawl into a dark hole and die; he finally emerged from one of his friend’s guest rooms and made his way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Nick was making up some kind of concoction in his blender when he shuffled in and gave him the once over. “You look like hell.”

“I feel much worse.” He sank down onto a stool, his shoulders slouching. “I don’t know what I was thinking last night to drink as much as I did.” His voice felt rough and sore; one of the many ill effects of the burning alcohol.

“That’s what gets you into trouble.” His friend put the top on the blender and pushed the button, causing the machine to whir to life.

Alex rubbed his forehead. “What does? You have any aspirin?”

Nick let the blender run its course and moved to a cupboard, tossing a small bottle over toward his guest. “You don’t think; you just shut your brain down and drink and drink until you’re puking your guts out or passed out in someone’s front lawn.”

Alex caught the bottle. “That was one time and it was a long time ago.” He unscrewed the cap and shook out three white pills.

The younger man filled a glass with water then slid it across the counter to his friend. “Yeah, well, you haven’t been drinking in a long time.”

He thanked him and downed the medicine, drinking the entire glass of water before setting the empty glass on the counter and wiping his mouth. “Shit, I know; I’ve really fucked up.”

“What brought it on?”

Alex shook his head, staring at the empty glass. “Shit that I don’t even want to think about.”

“Which is why you’re drinking again; so you don’t have to think or feel.”

“I know.” He dropped his head into his hands. “I can’t help it; it’s the only thing that seems to help me at the moment.”

Nick pulled the top from the blender once it was finished and shut off. Taking a large glass, he poured the green gunk into it and pushed it toward his friend. “Here, drink this; it’ll help.”

“What is this stuff?” He took up the glass and peered it over.

“The best hangover concoction there is; tastes like shit but cures you in less than thirty minutes.”

Alex made a face then took a breath and downed the thick liquid as quickly as he could. It tasted exactly how Nick described it and he shuddered, nearly gagging a few times but managing to choke it down. Finally, he set the glass back onto the counter. “It better work.”

“It will; you’ll be back to your old self in no time.”

“What’s in that stuff?”

Nick chuckled low and began to clean up his mess. “Trust me; you don’t want to know.”

Alex shuddered again then shook his head to clear his thoughts. “Thanks for picking me up last night.”

“Anytime, man; you’d have done the same thing for me.”

“True. You think you can drop me back there in a bit? I need to get my car; hopefully it hasn’t been jacked.”

“Let’s hope not.” Nick pulled out two bowls from the cabinet. “You want any cereal?”

The older man made a face. “Not particularly.”

Nick shrugged and poured himself a bowl of Lucky Charms, adding the milk then joining his friend at the counter. He ate in silence for a few, getting about halfway through his breakfast before finally glancing over toward Alex. “So, what’s got you drinking again?”

Alex gave a ‘heh’ and swiveled on the stool. “That’s a loaded question.”

“You wanna talk about it?”

“Not particularly.”

“This have anything to do with the baby rumors going around?”

Alex gave a groan. “You heard those, huh?”

“Kind of hard to miss.” He scooped another bite of his cereal before speaking again, “Brielle’s having your baby.”

“That’s some of it.”

He looked over to the other man. “And Renee nearly had an aneurysm when she found out.”

“Heh,” he rolled his eyes, “she just about did; she hates Brielle and wants nothing to do with her, wants her back in New York where she came from.”

“Well, that’s understandable.”

“To a degree; but she’s not even trying to understand me or what I’m going through. And she’s becoming really horrible and bitchy and hateful. I’ve never seen her like that before, Nick, and it really worries me.”

Nick lifted his brows. “Have you talked to her?”

“I’ve tried, but she just gets upset and tells me that I don’t understand her and how it’s not fair to her.” He shook his head and fiddled with the empty glass in front of him. “I don’t know what to do.”

The younger man lifted his bowl and drank the last bit of his milk before responding to that, “What are you doing for Brielle?”

“Trying to do right by her; it’s my child, so I’m taking care of her and the baby. I’ve been working on getting her a job and soon as she gets one and starts saving money, I’ll help her get her own place to live. I’ve bought her clothes and necessities and I’m going to do the same for the baby when the time comes. Renee wants me to send her on her way and pick the kid up for weekends, but,” he wet his bottom lip and shook his head again, “I can’t be that way, not after what I went through with my own father.”

“I understand that.” Nick rose from his spot and carried his bowl to the sink. “And you shouldn’t have to do that. You should get to decide what level of involvement you have with Brielle and the baby. But,” he glanced over to the other man as he rinsed the bowl, “you also need to take Renee’s feelings into consideration, especially if you’re going to marry her. Couples make big decisions together; lord knows I’m learning that with Laurel.”

Alex nodded at that then wet his bottom lip and looked to his friend. “There’s something else?”

Nick arched his brows and tucked the bowl away into the dishwasher. “What’s that? Renee pregnant too?”

“Yup.”

He blinked and turned to the tattooed man. “You’re shitting me; I was just being stupid, I wasn’t serious.”

“Well, I am. She told me the other day and I nearly passed out. And now she’s intent on getting married before the baby is born and I just don’t know if I can do that.”

“Shit, yeah, I don’t blame you.”

He sighed and rubbed his face. “So, that’s why I’ve been drinking again.”

Nick didn’t really know what to say; he felt for his friend but didn’t know how to help him. “Have you tried calling your sponsor? Going to a meeting?”

“No, I’ve just been trying to forget my feelings and the shit my life is turning into. My sponsor and meetings aren't going to do that for me.”

“Maybe not, but you ought to at least try; you’ve worked too hard, Aje, to let this drag you back down and force you to start over again. Besides,” he sank back down on the stool next to his friend’s, “you never know if it’ll help if you don’t give it a shot.”

He knew Nick was right; it was just hard to admit that. “I…I don’t know.”

“You just think about it, alright?” He clasped his friend on the shoulder. “And anytime you wanna talk, you know I’m here for ya.”

Alex gave a nod. “I know and I really appreciate it.”

Nick squeezed his shoulder then let it go. “And maybe next time, instead of reaching for the Jack D, you reach for your phone and give me a call. I can come getcha or whatever you need.”

He met his friend’s eyes. “I’ll think about it.”

“That’s all I ask.” A pause. “You ready to go collect your vehicle?”

“Yeah,” he sighed at the thought and rose from the stool, “I need to do that and get my ass home; who knows what kind of shit Renee’s been telling my mom and let’s hope she left before Brielle and Lily got back to the house.”

“Oh boy,” Nick swiped his keys from the hook on the wall, “you can tell me all about that on the way.”

Alex chuckled low. “Maybe we hold off on that, it might make me wanna stop for a drink.”

“Right, can’t have that.” Then he led his friend from the room and toward the garage. “How ‘bout we talk about my life instead?”
Chapter Sixteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Can't believe I got this one done so quickly; hope you enjoy! Thanks so much to all my faithful readers and reviewers...you're greatly appreciated. And welcome to any newcomers! :)

“Just where on God’s green earth have you been?” Denise questioned her son the minute he stepped back through the door.

Alex winced some at the tone in her voice and tossed his keys onto the table nearby. “Hey, Ma.”

“Don’t, ‘hey, Ma’, me; do you have any idea how worried I’ve been?”

“I’m not a child anymore, Mom; I love you to death, but I don’t have to explain where I go or what I do.”

“You will always be my child, Alex and you will always have to answer to me.” She frowned at him. “You take off on me yesterday and are gone the entire night, only showing up mid morning today. For all I know, you could have been lying dead in a ditch somewhere, or lied up in the hospital or even in jail!”

Alex gritted his teeth and took a moment to make sure he remained calm. “I went over to Nick’s and stayed the night there. I wasn’t in a ditch or the hospital or jail, so can we just drop it and move on?”

Denise frowned, knowing she probably didn’t want to pick at it anymore, he already seemed on edge. “Well, next time, please call us; we’ve been worried something horrible had happened to you.”

He sighed then moved and kissed his mother on the forehead. “I’m just fine.”

“Good.” She squeezed his side then took his arm. “How ‘bout we go sit and talk a bit; Renee’s announcement left me rather shocked and speechless, I might say.”

“Do we have to at this moment? I really just wanna go take a hot shower and change into some clean clothes.” The last thing he wanted to do was talk to his mom about all the drama going on in his life. He knew he needed to sooner than later, but today just wasn’t the day he felt he could. Nick’s concoction had helped his hangover, but he was afraid discussing it would bring on that strong urge to have a drink and he wasn’t sure he had the strength at the moment to fight it.

His mother sighed and frowned, but released his arm. “Alright, but we’re going to talk, Alex, you’re not getting out of it.”

“I don’t expect to.” Then he kissed his mother’s cheek and hurried from the room before she could add anything more.

He ran into Brielle in the hallway upstairs and slowed some as she took notice of him; her eyes widening in surprise then relief flashing over her face. “Alex, you’re back; we’ve been so worried.”

“Yeah, I’m good; no accidents or jail; just spent a little time with a friend.”

“Oh, well good.” She flashed a small grin. “I hope you had a good time.”

“Best to be expected.” He shrugged some then concern etched his face and he reached out and touched her shoulder. “How are you feeling, you doing okay?”

“Yeah, I’m good; I was just worried about you. We thought something horrible had happened. When Lily and I got back and Denise said you’d just taken off, I didn’t know what to think and then you weren’t back and I got scared that you had been in an accident or something terrible like that.”

He felt the punch to his gut at the look of fear and worry in her eyes, hating that he’d caused it in her, especially when that was one of the last things she needed to be stressing over. “I’m sorry, I should have called. I won’t let it happen again.”

“Oh, gosh no, Alex,” Brielle shook her head and took his hand in hers, “you don’t have to answer to me or check in with me; I’m not keeping tabs on you. I was just…” she shrugged slightly, “worried is all.”

“Yeah, but I don’t want you to worry. You shouldn’t be stressing yourself; it’s not good for you or the baby.”

“Well, I’ll try not to worry then.”

He couldn’t help the tiny grin that tugged at his mouth; she was so adorable and endearing and had no idea. “Well, you aren’t going to have to worry about worrying, because I’m not gonna just take off like that again; I promise, cross my heart.” He took a finger and drew an imaginary cross over his chest just above his heart.

Brielle flashed her own beautiful smile. “Okay, but you know you can go off and spend time with your friends and what not without checking with me.”

“Oh, I know,” he leaned and brushed his lips across her cheek, “and I plan to, I’m just going to let you know what I’m doing before I do it.”

“Okay,” she watched him a moment then giggled low, “I’ll let you get on your way, you looked like a man on a mission.”

Alex liked the way her laugh made him feel; all warm inside. “I was, I’m gonna take a shower and get changed. Where are you headed?”

“Downstairs; I have a craving for some Doritos with sour cream on them.”

“Nacho cheese or cool ranch?”

“The jalapeño kind.”

He wrinkled his nose and chuckled. “Must be those pregnancy cravings, huh?”

“I think so, because I would never eat something like that normally.”

Alex laughed. “How ‘bout I come find you after I’m done; you can tell me about your day out with Lily and Leigh.”

Her grin spread and he noted the sparkle in her eyes. “And James.”

“Right and James.” He kissed her cheek softly again, noting for the first time how she smelled like fresh apples.

“Okay, go shower.” She touched his arm then pulled back from his reach. “I’ll be downstairs when you’re done.”

“You got it.” He flashed one more grin then moved past her and continued on the path to his room.

Brielle watched him go with a grin of her own then turned and jumped as she spotted Lily in the doorway to the room she was staying in. “Shit, you scared me.” She pressed a hand to her chest.

“Sorry,” Lily chuckled some then peered in the direction Alex had gone, “what was that all about?”

“What was what all about?”

“Oh, don’t play coy with me; I saw the way you two were looking at each other.”

Brielle arched a brow. “We weren’t looking at each other in any specific way; we were just talking.”

“Uh huh,” her friend eyed her with a knowing expression, “and I’m the Queen of England; you two were fawning over one another, it was so obvious.”

The blonde blinked and her eyes stretched. “We were not! I was simply telling him that we were worried when he didn’t show last night and he was telling me that he was okay and he wouldn’t disappear again.”

“You two were being awfully touchy feeling for just that,” she mused in a knowing tone, pushing herself from the doorway and disappearing back into her room.

Brielle followed her in. “What are you talking about?”

“You know very well what I’m talking about.”

“I do not.”

“Do so.”

“Do not.”

Lily sighed. “Seriously, Brielle, how old are we? Let’s discuss this like adults here.”

“Okay, so I might have a small inclination of what you’re implying, but seriously, Lily, there’s nothing going on or going to go on; you know there’s way too much drama and the last thing either of us are going to do is add to it.” She sighed and sank down onto the bed, watching as the brunette began to pack the last of her belongings. It was Friday; the day Brielle had been dreading because it meant her best friend was leaving her and returning to New York. They were going to be an entire country apart and the blonde was at a loss for how she was going to survive without her friend; especially now that Renee was back.

“You never know.”

Brielle shook her head. “I do know; even if it’s something we both end up wanting, it’s never going to happen. He has way too much going on with me, this baby and Renee and her baby, besides, you heard her yesterday; they’re going to be getting married very shortly. There’s just no way that I’m going to let myself get put into an even more compromising position than I already am.”

Lily folded a shirt and carefully placed it into her suitcase. “For someone so young, you sure do sound older; that’s very big and mature of you to say that. But who knows, Brie, they haven’t even set a date; maybe there won’t be a wedding.”

“There’s going to be a wedding even if she has to drag him down that aisle.”

Her friend laughed. “I can actually see that happening; she has her claws so deep in him they may never come out. That poor guy is seriously fucked.”

“And you’re going to just leave me with all this mess.”

“Aww, Brie, you know I don’t want to, but I have no choice,” she pouted, “Jordan is going crazy without me there and it’s almost Christmas; I need to get back to him.”

“I know,” the blonde frowned and fell backward into the pillows, “I’m gonna miss you something terrible.”

“I’m gonna miss you too, Brie bear,” she spoke; using an old nickname her friend had grown up with and told the brunette about. “But we’re gonna make sure to visit each other and talk all the time.”

“I know, but it’s not the same.”

“I know.” She finished folding another shirt and set it in the suitcase then joined her friend on the bed. “It’s gonna be okay, you know. I’ll be back out here when you give birth and you’ll be coming to my wedding; you better be because you’re my maid of honor.”

Brielle smiled at her friend. “I’ll be there.”

“And you know,” Lily settled herself next to the other girl, their arms brushing, “if you ever need me, you can call me anytime; day or night. And I’ll be out here as quick as I can.”

“I know and I appreciate that.”

“And if Renee gives you too much trouble, you just let me know and I’ll make sure to have a few words with her.”

Brielle chuckled. “Deal.”

Her friend sighed some, staring up at the ceiling above. “But you know, you just don’t worry about her; you live your life and go about your way, doing what you need to, to get through everything. You let Alex do all he can to help you and don’t worry about imposing on him or coming between the two of them. I think he’s going to make sure she doesn’t give you more stress.”

“I hope so. And I hope I can get a job soon and find a place of my own. Being here while they’re in the middle of planning their wedding is going to be very awkward.”

Lily made a face. “I don’t think they’re going to be planning a wedding. I think Alex is slowly starting to come around and realize just how big a mistake it would be to marry someone like Renee. Besides,” she smirked over at her friend, “I think he likes you a lot more than he lets on.”

Brielle remembered the kiss and rubbed her forehead. “I don’t know.”

“I see the way he looks at you. You should have seen how freaked out he was when he came barreling into that hospital and we had no idea what was going on.”

The blonde shifted to her side and rose up on her elbow. “He’s dealing with so much, Lily; I’m not gonna even add to it. The guy pushed me out a window because he freaked out that his mother would get upset with his drinking; and now he’s taking off and hiding out at friend’s houses just to escape everything. Do you seriously think it’s a good idea to give in to whatever feelings either of us may have, considering all the mess around us?”

Lily pushed herself into a sitting position. “You’re probably right,” she relented. “But I will say this; maybe it’s what you both need at the moment. You could find comfort in each other and maybe something like that would help him.”

“I don’t think so.” She sat up next to her friend. “I don’t think allowing myself to develop feelings for him is going to help either of us; it’d only hamper things and make ‘em worse. And Lord help me if Renee found out. She’d kill me and hide my body.”

“Maybe you’re right,” the brunette finally admitted. “I guess I’m just a sucker for a happy ending and what a perfect story it’d be to tell your kids and grandkids. Not to mention; I hate Renee and someone as wonderful as Alex is deserves someone like you and not anyone like her. It’s hard to see someone so horrible and evil getting something so wonderful.”

“Sounds like you’re the one with the crush,” Brielle teased her friend.

Lily chuckled. “He’s a gorgeous man with a good heart; he deserves true love and real happiness just like you do. I told you, I’m a real sucker for a happy ending, or a fairytale.”

“I know you are.” She reached over and pulled her friend in for a hug. “I’m gonna miss you so much.”

“Aww, don’t make me cry.” Lily returned the hug, holding her friend close.

“I can’t help it.” The blonde felt her own tears forming in her eyes and pulled back to wipe at them. “All I’ve wanted to do today is cry.”

“Those damn pregnancy hormones.”

“It must be.” She sniffed then cleared her throat. “Okay, I’ll let you finish packing. What time is Denise going to take you to the airport?”

Lily checked her watch. “Um, in about two hours and you don’t have to leave; you can visit with me while I pack.”

“Okay, but we can’t talk about anything sad.”

“How ‘bout we talk about babies?”

Brielle smiled. “I can handle that.”

~*~*~*~*~

After his shower and a fresh change of clothes, Alex found Brielle in the guest bedroom, helping Lily finish up her packing. He frowned at having forgotten that her best friend was leaving her today and immediately hated himself for disappearing on them last night. He really needed to get himself under control, because after today, she’d be on her own if he fell back into his old habits and that’s the last thing he wanted.

“Am I interrupting anything?” He questioned as he rapped lightly on the open door and poked his head into the room.

Both girls looked over and Brielle grinned at him. “No, I was just keeping her company as she finished packing her bags.”

“Nice.” He slipped into the room and watched as the brunette worked on zipping her large suitcase. “Need any help with that?”

Lily shook her head, the tip of her tongue poking from the corner of her mouth as she concentrated on her task at hand. “Nope, I got it.”

“She needs to sit on it.”

Alex chuckled at that and sank down into a chair there on one side of the room. “I’ve done that quite a few times; it’s very useful.”

“I’m not sitting on my suitcase.” She tugged the zipper then gave a squawk as it quickly slid along the track and she stumbled back against the bed. “Damn thing.”

Brielle giggled then clapped. “You got it closed!”

“About time.” Lily smirked then stood up and smoothed her shirt, giving the room a once over. “I do believe that’s everything.”

“What time do you need to leave for the airport?”

The brunette turned her lively green eyes onto the male in the room. “Your mom is taking me; we weren’t sure what time you’d be back today, so she just said she would drive me there.”

“Oh, okay, well …sure.”

Brielle nodded. “I told her I couldn’t go; I don’t want any part in helping her leave me.”

Alex chuckled at the expression on her face. “We can stay here and distract ourselves.”

“Sounds good to me.”

Lily looked between the two then rested her gaze on their host. “Think you can help me take my bags downstairs?”

“Of course.” He rose to his feet then moved and gathered the bags. Together, the trio made their way out of the bedroom then down the hall and downstairs to the first floor.

Denise joined them as they stacked the bags in the foyer by the front door and herded everyone into the kitchen where she had a nice lunch of ham and cheese sandwiches, chips and freshly squeezed lemonade. Brielle finally got her jalapeño Doritos with sour cream and the four ate lunch with minimal conversation that was free of Renee, pregnancies and weddings. After they were done eating, Alex loaded the bags into his SUV and handed the keys over to his mom. He thanked her for taking Lily and assured Denise that he would stay with Brielle and keep her occupied.

The two girls started their goodbyes early and it still took fifteen minutes past the time of their scheduled departure before Lily climbed into the vehicle and the two finally headed off down the drive.

Brielle waved until the SUV was no longer in sight then turned to Alex, tears shimmering in her eyes and a pout on her lips. “I can’t believe she’s gone.”

Alex felt the tug on his heart and he opened his arms, wrapping them around her as she melted into his embrace and buried her face in his chest. “It’s gonna be okay,” he soothed, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

Brielle sniffed and her shoulders jerked some, her own arms sliding around his waist and holding him close. “Eventually, but she left me,” she managed out between soft sobs.

“Aww, Brie, baby,” he kissed her head again and held her a bit tighter, hating how upset she was, “I promise you that you’ll get to see her lots and lots. We’ll fly you two back and forth so much you’ll get sick of each other.”

“I could never get sick of her.” She finally pulled back and wiped at her damp cheeks. “She’s the only friend I have and now she’s gone.” Her chin quivered and she pressed her lips together in an attempt to still it.

“Oh, hey now, don’t say that,” he reached and smoothed his thumbs under her eyes, brushing away the tears that continued to fall, “you have me and my mom and you’re going to make so many new friends out here, you’ll see.”

“It’s not the same.” She pulled from his touch and headed for the front door.

Alex followed behind up the walk then back into the house. “Do you really not want to be out here?” He closed the door securely behind them and reset the alarm.

“No, I do, but I wish Lily was going to be out here with me.” Her blue eyes pooled with fresh tears and she cleared her throat. “You and Denise are both so wonderful, but you’re not Lily. Besides, you’re a boy.”

He chuckled at that and brushed some hair from her face. “Just not the same, is it?”

She wordlessly shook her head and he couldn’t fight the urge to pull her back into his embrace.

“C’mere.” He led her down and into the living room then gently tugged her onto the sofa next to him. Once seated, she leaned into his side and he wrapped both arms around her petite frame, holding her as close and secure as he could without either of them being uncomfortable. “We can just sit here and you can cry all you want,” he soothed as he rubbed her back gently and pressed his cheek against her head.

Brielle tucked her head against his chest and let her arm drape across his chest. “I’m sorry for getting all emotional.”

“Oh, hey, don’t apologize,” he tilted his head to see her face, “you have every right to be upset and sad. And I’m sure the pregnancy hormones aren’t helping.”

“They’re really not.”

He chuckled and brushed his lips lightly across her forehead. “How ‘bout we talk about something?”

“Like what?”

“Well,” he mulled her question over, “did you have fun yesterday with Leigh, Lily and James?”

Brielle sat up at that and wiped her face, drying her hands onto the pantleg of her jeans. “I did; Leigh is so sweet and James is probably the cutest little baby I’ve seen.”

Alex grinned some at that, his hand continuing to smooth along her back. “Gosh, he’s not so much a baby anymore, is he?”

“Well, he’s not a little baby; she said he was nineteen months and he’s so sweet!” She smiled thinking back on him. “He has the most precious laugh and it just makes you want to giggle along with him. And his eyes are so big and beautiful.” A sigh. “I hope our baby is that beautiful.”

“Well, with you as the mother and me as the father; how can it not be?”

She smiled wistfully. “I know,” then she shook herself from the thought, “but yeah, we had a good time. She took us to this amazing restaurant that looked out over the ocean and the breadsticks nearly melt right in your mouth. Then we went shopping at these little boutique stores that specialized in different things; jewelry, hats, handbags and this one store where she got James some new shoes.” Brielle put a hand to her chest. “I thought I was going to die when I saw how tiny and sweet the little baby shoes are.”

He couldn’t stop the grin that was spreading over his face. She seemed so excited and entertained with her day out with Leigh and Alex made a mental note to call and thank the older woman. “Did you tell Leigh about the baby?”

“Well, not at first, but she kind of figured it out when Lily and I were oohing over some of the tiniest, little, black Mary Jane shoes. Lily wanted to get them for me, but I told her we don’t know if the baby is a girl yet, so she needed to wait.”

“What’d she say?”

Brielle’s baby blues turned to him. “Lily or Leigh?”

“Leigh.”

“Oh,” she tilted her head, “well, she was surprised, but said she had a feeling that was the situation. She didn’t like…say anything negative or even bring up Renee.”

Alex smoothed his hand from her back and clasped her knee, giving it a squeeze. “Leigh has lots of class and she isn’t the type to run her mouth about people. She’s really a sweetheart.”

Brielle smiled, her hand finding his and resting on the back of it. “I really like her. She said that we could get together again and if I needed anything; questions or to talk or just anything, I can give her a call. She gave me her number.”

“Good.” His thumb smoothed small circles on the outside of her knee and the thought of how comfortable it was with her flashed through his mind, but he pushed it away as quick as it had come. “I hope you two can get together again.”

“Me too.”

They fell into a comfortable silence and Brielle shifted some, snuggling up against his side and getting more comfortable. “So, how are you doing?” She questioned as she leaned her head against his shoulder, their hands brushing each other as they rested on her leg.

Alex sighed and stretched his legs out before him. “I’m alright.”

She cast her eyes toward his face. “Just alright?”

“Yeah, not horrible, but I could feel a hell of a lot better.”

Her hand found its way to his chest and she began to rub it gently before she even realized what she was doing. “You feeling bad about Renee?”

“I don’t know if you could say, bad. I don’t know how I’m feeling about her, right now.” He shivered slightly at her touch then relaxed as the simple action began to soothe him.

“I understand that. She wasn’t very happy with you yesterday.”

He shifted his eyes down to her. “She was still here when you guys got back?” Brielle nodded and he made a face. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh, don’t be sorry.” She sat up, but her hand continued to smooth over his chest. “We handled it well; your mom played the neutral part and Renee and I just ignored each other; or I tried to and she spat out little remarks in hopes of hurting my feelings.”

“Did it work?”

A brilliant smile lit her face and he felt the twinge inside his chest, remembering one of the reasons he was so attracted to the blonde. “Nope.”

“That’s my girl.” His hand reached up and he stroked her cheek. “I’m glad you’re not letting her pettiness get under your skin.”

Brielle knew she needed to pull away before things got out of hand, but at the moment she couldn’t bring herself to move. “Me too; I’ve just decided that she isn’t worth any anguish to me and if I let her upset me then she’s won.”

His thumb was now smoothing along the curve of her jaw and Alex could feel the pulse in his neck growing stronger. “That’s a very good way of looking at it.”

“Yeah.” Her breath was catching in her throat, their eyes locked on each other. She probably only had about five seconds to either change the subject or move away from him if she didn’t want a replay of what happened between them on the piano bench to occur.

“Uh huh.”

Brielle could hear her heart pounding in her ears and the tip of her tongue came out and wet her bottom lip. “Um, Alex…” her voice wavered and she didn’t know if she’d be able to continue.

“Yeah?” He leaned in more, his breath tickling the soft skin of her cheek.

“I um..I…”

“Hm?” His lips ever so lightly skimmed along her jaw.

Goosebumps flashed over the blonde’s skin at that. “Um…this…I…uh…don’t…think…”

His large hand reached up and cupped her opposite cheek as his mouth sought out her ear. “Shh, don’t think,” he rasped out before his teeth nipped at the lobe.

Brielle gave a soft sound, knowing she’d be a goner if he found that spot behind her ear that always weakened her defenses. Moving a hand up, she grasped the back of his and struggled with her conscience on if she should stop him.

“Much better,” his voice was thick and he nipped her ear than began to place soft kisses back down her jaw.

“I um…” she was nearly speechless as the heat he was evoking began to stir inside of her.

Alex’s lips were now nearing her own and his hand smoothed to the back of her neck, drawing her closer. Inside his chest, his heart was hammering loud enough for the both of them and he was doing his best to forget about his fiancée. She was nearly gone from his mind and his mouth sought out Brielle’s, nipping gently at her lower lip before claiming her mouth for his own.

The sound of the doorbell echoing through the house interrupted the two and Brielle jerked back, blinking and shooting up from the couch. “What was that?”

He slowly opened his eyes and laughed low at the startled expression on her face. “The doorbell.” He rubbed the back of his neck then cursed silently and rose to his feet.

“Oh,” she fiddled with the sleeve of her shirt, shifting on her feet, “I knew that.”

Alex smirked. “Sure you did; I had you so befuddled you wouldn’t know what something was even if it smacked you in the face.” Hitching his pants up higher, he smoothed his shirt then sauntered toward the front door.

Checking the peephole, Alex frowned at the unfamiliar faces of the man and woman standing on the porch. He’d never seem them before and immediately wondered how they’d gotten past his security gate. Alarm squeezed his chest, but against better judgment, he reset his alarm system and pulled the door open. “Yes?”

“Hi.” The woman smiled in an uncomfortable fashion and something inside of the homeowner told him that she seemed familiar.

His dark gaze shifted between the tall, thin blonde woman and the taller, slightly robust man with dark hair and a moustache. “What can I help you with?”

The two exchanged a glance. “We um, well we know this may sound strange,” the gentleman spoke up, his clear blue eyes settling on Alex.

Again, that familiar sensation entered his chest and he wondered if maybe he had met them before somewhere. Maybe in his drunken state last night and he’d invited them over to his house today; the Lord knows what kind of bullshit he got himself into when he wasn’t in his right mind. “Um…what’s that?”

Again, they exchanged glances before the woman took a breath and spoke up, “Well-”

But the sound of glass exploding interrupted her and Alex spun to find Brielle behind him, the remains of a glass shattered around her feet. He blinked and opened his mouth to speak, but stopped at the look of shock that covered her face; her eyes stretched wide and her mouth open slightly. Following her gaze to the couple, he frowned then looked to her again. “Brielle?”

But she didn’t move, instead, she stared at the two newcomers with a look he couldn’t quite figure out. Turning back to them, he noticed the strange expressions on their own faces. Something weird was going on here.

“Wh…what…what are you doing here?” The blonde finally managed to speak, but stayed rooted in her spot; shards of glass sprinkled along the floor.

“Oh, Brielle,” the woman breathed out, fidgeting and trying to take a step into the house, but Alex stood in the entryway, prohibiting her from entering.

“We had to see you,” the gentleman added, his arm going around the tall woman as if for comfort.

The homeowner’s frown deepened and his gaze shifted between the strangers and Brielle. “You…know these people?”

Her heart melting blue eyes lifted to his face and he noted a look of anguish that tore him to the core. “Unfortunately, I do,” she wet her bottom lip then turned her attention back onto the couple on the porch, her gaze darkening and her eyes narrowing some, “they're my parents.”
Chapter Seventeen by summer
Author's Notes:
Here's another chapter, enjoy! And as always, thanks for all the feedback! :)
Alex blinked at Brielle’s announcement, his gaze shifting over to the couple on the porch then back to his guest. “Your parents?”

The blonde nodded and glanced down to the shattered glass at her feet. “I broke your glass, I’m sorry.”

He snapped into action at that. “Oh, gosh, no that’s okay; I have plenty.” Then he moved over to her and gently scooped her up into his arms, doing his best to not step on the shards. “I’ll have Mrs. Morenci sweep it up,” he spoke of his housekeeper that was in the back room doing some laundry.

Brielle leaned into his chest, lifting her bare feet some into the air. “Did I get any on my feet?”

Alex glanced toward the doorway then figured her parents would probably come inside on their own, so he started for the living room and gently set her onto the sofa. “Let me check your feet.” He crouched before her and took hold of her ankles, carefully checking her skin over for any signs of glass or small cuts. “I think you’re good.”

Brielle smiled and touched his cheek. “Thank you.” Then she stiffened and a frown fell over her features.

Alex glanced behind him to see her parents stepping down into the room and he rose to his feet. “Um, hello; I’m Alex.” He stepped forward and reached a hand toward the couple.

“Nice to meet you; I’m Joshua Madison.” Her father stepped forward and took his hand, giving it a firm shake. Then he moved back and smoothed a hand to his wife’s back. “And this is Chloe, my wife. We’re Brielle’s parents.”

“It’s good to meet you.” Alex gave Chloe’s hand a shake then stepped back again. “Would either of you like something to drink?”

“Oh goodness, water would be great, thank you,” her mother requested, offering up a smile that touched her eyes and made Alex see the resemblance between her and her daughter.

“Okay, I’ll um,” he glanced over to Brielle then back to her parents, “be right back, then.”

They nodded and he slipped from the room and down the hall to the kitchen. He’d just gotten the glasses from the sink when Brielle scurried into the room to join him.

“I can’t believe they’re here!” She hissed, folding her arms over her chest and pacing back and forth in front of the refrigerator.

Alex shut the cabinet and juggled the two glasses, looking to her. “How did they find you?”

“I have no idea!” She threw her hands up into the air then folded them over her chest again. “And what are they doing here? The last time I saw them was three years ago and my mother told me not to bother ever coming back.”

He winced at that. “Maybe they’ve had a change of heart.”

Brielle snorted. “My mother doesn’t have a change of heart.”

Alex wasn’t sure what to say to her because he didn’t know the whole story. “Well, maybe Lily called them.”

“No, she’s never met them and she doesn’t even know their names. Besides,” she brought her thumb up and bit at her thumbnail, “she wouldn’t do that to me.”

“Were they that horrible to you?”

The blonde sighed. “It wasn’t that they were horrible, but they aren’t supportive and they don’t make you feel good about yourself.” Her blue eyes clouded over. “And if they’re here, then they want something. They wouldn’t just show up out of the goodness of their hearts.”

Alex knew where she was coming from; his father had done the exact same thing to him. “Alright.” He set the glasses on the counter then moved and intercepted Brielle as she paced back and forth. Taking hold of her shoulders, he met her gaze. “I’ll ask them to leave; if they’re only going to upset you then I don’t want them here.”

“What do they even want?”

He sighed and drew her into his arms, holding her close. “You want me to go ask them? I can tell ‘em you went upstairs to lie down.”

She buried her face in his chest. “How did they even get past the gate?”

“That’s a very good question and one I intend on finding an answer for.”

Brielle sighed and hugged him close. “I’m sorry, I had no idea they were going to fly across the country and show up unexpected.”

“Hey, it’s not your fault.” He rubbed her back and kissed her head again before peering down to her face. “You wanna go hide out upstairs?”

“No,” she pulled back from his arms and smoothed out her shirt then ran her fingers through her hair, “I should go face them; I can’t make you do it alone.”

“I have no problem doing it alone.”

Brielle shook her head and her hand found its way to his. “No, I’ll be okay, but thank you.” She kissed his cheek.

Quickly, he turned his head and caught her mouth with his, gently drawing her closer to him.

The blonde blinked when he caught her off guard, but allowed herself to be pressed against him, shivering at the feel of his lips against her own. She knew this was the last thing they needed to be doing, but at that very moment she didn’t care. Alex was being so wonderful and taking care of her and when she was close to him and around him, she felt so safe; like he would never let anything happen to her and right now that’s what she so desperately needed. Her best friend had just left her and her parents had shown up out of the blue; Brielle was feeling very vulnerable and unstable and she needed to draw that strength from somewhere.

His mouth nibbled hers and he snaked a hand up to the back of her head, giving a slight murmur in his throat. The velvety feels of her lips was intoxicating and she tasted like sweet apples and it spurred him on, causing him to deepen the kiss and slowly pull her under, taking her into the depths of the moment. It felt so right to be holding her and touching her and kissing her and he never wanted it to stop, but knew her parents were waiting and that caused a groan in his throat and he forced himself back.

Brielle’s eyes slowly fluttered open and she drew her bottom lip into her mouth.

“I’m sorry; I couldn’t help myself,” Alex spoke softly, reaching up and brushing some of her silky hair from her face, his fingers grazing her cheek.

She caught his hand and placed a soft kiss to his palm. “S’okay.”

Alex grinned at that and brushed his lips across her forehead. “Okay, you ready to get back in there?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be, I suppose.”

He chuckled low. “If they upset you, just let me know and I’ll ask them to leave.”

“Okay, you can throw them out.”

“And I will. Let me just get them some water first and we can go back in there.” Quickly, Alex filled the two glasses with ice then water from the door of the fridge, then together the two headed back down into the living room where they found Brielle’s parents seated on a sofa talking low amongst themselves. Alex passed out the drinks then he and the blonde took up the love seat across from them.

“You have a beautiful home,” Chloe mused as she peered around the room. “I’d love to see the rest of it.”

Alex shifted his gaze to Brielle then back to her mother. “Well, thank you; I did all the decorating myself.”

“You have quite a unique taste.”

“I try not to be like everyone else.”

“It definitely shows.” She studied a painting over the fireplace then took another drink of her water.

“So,” Alex cleared his throat some, “may I ask how you two got past the gate at the bottom of my driveway?”

Joshua and Chloe exchanged a look and Joshua’s crisp, blue eyes turned toward the other male. “The gate was open,” he shrugged some, “we just figured you left it open during the day.”

He frowned at that. “Huh, something must be wrong with it. I’ll have to call and have it checked out.”

“We’re sorry if we’re intruding. We wouldn’t have just come on up here if we’d known you always buzz people through.”

“No, that’s alright, you didn’t know.”

Chloe smiled appreciatively and Brielle resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She was dying to ask them what they were doing there; better yet how they’d found her. And what it was they wanted exactly, because she knew her parents and showing up like this was not something they did unless there was an ulterior motive. “So, um…Chloe,” she began, insistent on not calling them ‘mom’ and ‘dad’ because she didn’t feel they deserved it. “You’re a long way from Virginia.”

Her mother looked a little surprised at being called her name by her daughter, but she didn’t let on. “We wanted to see you, dear.”

“Really? Because the last time I saw you, you told me never to show my face again.”

A look passed over Chloe’s face. “I was angry, Brielle. You wouldn’t even listen to us, so intent on doing what you wanted to do, no matter what anyone else thought.”

“Well, it’s my life, shouldn’t I get to decide it,” it was rhetorical and she wasn’t expecting an answer.

Her mother sighed. “Can’t we put all that behind us and start fresh? Your father and I thought you’d be happy to see us.”

“Are you serious?” She could feel the anger starting to boil. “After you basically disown me and I’m nearly living on the streets for three years, you want to just waltz back into my life like everything is right as rain? It doesn’t work that way, mother,” she spat the name out like it was poison in her mouth.

The older woman flinched. “We didn’t know how to find you, sweetheart. You’re father and I have been looking for you for more than a year now.”

Brielle’s eyes darted to her dad and he nodded. “We really have, Rie,” he used his own personal nickname he had for her, “but it’s not so easy to find someone who doesn’t have an address.”

“So, you think I should just forget what happened and welcome you back into my life?”

They shared a glance and her mother fiddled with the water glass in her hand. “We know it might be difficult and take some time, but we were hoping you would.”

A frown settled over her features and she looked off for a moment. “I don’t believe this.”

“Brielle, we’re your parents,” her father spoke.

“I’m well aware of that.”

“We just want you in our life again.”

Her clear eyes flashed in his direction. “And why is that?”

Chloe sighed. “Brielle, we love you. You’re our daughter and we want to be there for you.”

The younger woman bit her lower lip and glanced over to Alex; she was at a loss with what to say. On one hand, she wanted to yell and tell them how horrible they were and she wanted nothing to do with either of them, but on the other hand, she wanted to just stop the fighting and move past it all, and maybe making amends would help with that.

Alex reached over and rubbed her back, directing his gaze to the couple across from them. “I don’t know exactly what went down between you guys, and it may not be my place to speak up, but I’m going to. Brielle’s had a pretty rough go and she’s dealing with a lot right now. I’m sure your intentions are nothing but good, but the stress it’s causing her isn’t good for her. She needs a lot of stability and a low stress level and I know you don’t want to upset her. So maybe the best thing to do right now is just let her think things over. You’ve said your piece so let her digest it and give her some time to figure out what she wants.”

Brielle could have kissed him again. Glancing to him, she sent him a silent thank you and looked back to her parents.

“Well, of course,” Chloe nodded and glanced to her husband then to her daughter, “we didn’t mean to come into the picture and upset you, dear.”

“Not at all,” her father agreed.

“So, we’ll just go and give you some time.” Her mother rose from the sofa, motioning to her husband to join her.

“Okay, thank you.” Brielle stayed in her spot, she had no desire to hug or receive one.

Alex stood though and shook her parents hands again then showed them to the door. Chloe touched her daughter’s head as she passed and Joshua gave her shoulder a squeeze. They both promised to give her a day or so before calling again then finally allowed Alex to walk them out. He returned a few moments later and sank back down next to her.

Reaching a hand out, he gently massaged the back of her neck. “You okay?”

“Thank you for saying that to them.” She melted at his touch then leaned her body against his and settled into his embrace. “I can’t believe they’re here.”

“You really think they want something?”

“Why else would they show up completely unannounced?”

He shrugged, his hand rubbing small circles on her back. “Maybe they’re telling the truth, maybe they’ve been looking for you for awhile now.”

“I don’t know, but it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.”

“You want to take a nap?”

“No,” she shook her head, “maybe later.”

“Mmkay.” He pressed his lips to her temple.

“Hello, hello,” Denise’s voice called out a few moments later as she stepped down into the living room. “Alex, honey, your gate isn’t working properly.” She set her handbag onto a chair then sank down into the one next to it. “It wouldn’t close when I left today and was still open when I got back.”

“I know, I’ll call the company in a bit,” he replied, his arm still around the blonde, holding her in place when she tried to sit up away from him.

“Alright, good.” Denise’s hazel eyes darted between the two of them. “Everything okay?”

Alex and Brielle shared a glance. “Brielle’s parents showed up unexpected and she doesn’t have a very good relationship with them, but we handled it. Right?”

The blonde gave a nod. “Yes, Alex was wonderful and we finally convinced them to leave.”

“Oh, honey,” Denise pouted at her, “are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m okay.” She finally was able to pull from Alex’s embrace and sat up, smoothing her hair out. “I was very surprised to see them and it just makes me think they want something.”

“Well, what would they want?”

Brielle bit her bottom lip and shifted her gaze between the mother and son. “That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out.”

“Do they know about the baby?”

“They probably do. I’m sure they saw me on TV or something thanks to the paparazzi and that’s how they found me.”

“How would they have found where I live?” Alex questioned.

She shrugged. “They could have hired a private detective.”

He sighed and ran a hand over his face. “You’re probably right.”

“You didn’t ask them?” Denise was watching the couple with a slightly surprised expression.

Brielle drew up a shoulder. “The conversation didn’t really go well and Alex asked them to leave before we could get there.”

“Good,” she scowled, “I don’t want anyone upsetting you.”

Alex slipped his arm around her and gave her a squeeze. “I’m not gonna let that happen.”

Brielle smiled then gave his leg a pat. “I think I’m gonna go upstairs and take a nap; all this excitement is catching up to me.” Then she turned to Denise. “Did Lily get off okay?”

Denise smiled and gave a nod. “She did; said to tell you she’ll call you later tonight.”

“Good, I’ve got so much to tell her already.” She chuckled low. “Okay, going now.”

“Okay, babe.” Alex squeezed her shoulder then watched her stand. She touched his cheek very briefly then bid a goodbye to Denise before disappearing from the room to head up the stairs.

Denise watched her go then turned back to her son. “That poor child; I didn’t realize she was estranged from her parents.”

“Yeah, I don’t know the whole story, but she wanted to move to New York City and her parents didn’t want her to go, so they told her if she left she wasn’t to come back.”

“And now they’ve seen her on the television and want back in,” Denise finished the story, knowing full well what was going on; she’d been in that same spot with her son and his father.

Alex nodded some and rubbed his jaw. “You think they showed up cuz they want money?”

“That’s a big possibility. They may think you and Brielle are in a relationship and they may be able to get something from you, rather it be money, attention, fame.”

“Great,” he sighed and slouched some into his seat, “like we don’t have enough shit going on already.”

“Alex!”

“Sorry, sorry,” he apologized.

Denise shook her head some then fixed her gaze onto her son. “So, while we’re on the topic of all the craziness going on; how about we discuss you and Renee?”

Alex gave an inward grown and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Do we have to?”

“It’s not something you can escape, I’m afraid.”

“Fine,” he breathed out in a heavy sigh, lowering his hand and looking at his mother. “What do you want to discuss?”

Denise weighed her options; she had her own opinions on Renee’s announcement, but she didn’t want to barrel right into them, especially if she knew her son the way she did. Step lightly had to be her motto when it came to Alex; his stubbornness and ability to push right back forced it. Her son was famous for trying to prove you wrong and if he was told don’t, he’d make damn sure he did; no matter the consequences. “Renee wants to get married before the baby is born?” When Alex gave a silent nod, she continued, “How far along is she?”

“Hell if I know.”

“Alex.”

He sighed and rubbed his face. “She said she’s been to the doctor; they did one of those pee-in-a-cup tests and confirmed it.”

“Alright, so six to eight weeks then it sounds like.”

He shrugged, his gaze wandering to the large windows that looked out over his vast front lawn. He could already feel that craving for some Jack in the back of his throat. Alex knew he shouldn’t want to drink, especially after his night, but it was there and slowly growing stronger. Soon it’d be a raging need that he’d have to quench and he racked his brain, trying to remember if he’d drank all the bottles from the other night.

“Alexander, are you listening to me?”

His mother’s voice cut through him and he turned, a guilty expression covering his face. “Sorry, Mom, I spaced for a minute.”

“I’d say so.” She sighed heavily and studied her son, pressing her lips together until they formed a thin line.

One eyebrow rose. “Don’t even start with me, don’t you do it.” He knew that look better than any of her others. It was that, ‘You’re doing something you shouldn’t be and I’m trying to decide if I should bring it up’ expression she always wore before they got into a huge debate or an even bigger argument.

“I just worry about you,” she spoke in a softer tone, trying to keep her voice calm and his feathers unruffled.

“You don’t need to worry; I’m just fine,” he lied, this time being rather successful at not letting the guilt chip away at his heart.

“Now that, I know, is a lie. There’s no way you’re ‘just fine’ after finding out you’re having two children, each with a different woman. And one of those women is trying to pressure you into a marriage you’re neither ready for or want at the moment. And now, the other’s parents have shown up after being estranged for who knows how many years. You’re not fine, Alex; I know you’re not.”

He frowned at his mother, hating the fact that she was right. “What am I supposed to do? Kick Brielle out; marry Renee, tell Renee to take a hike? Of course I’m not ‘fine’, but I’m doing the best I can be considering.”

She sighed and smoothed her fingertips over the arms of the chair. “Honey, do you still want to marry Renee?”

“Not as soon as she wants me to.”

“But you still want to?”

He drew a shoulder up. “Why wouldn’t I? I love her; I see a future for us.”

“Do you really mean that, or are you trying to convince yourself it’s the truth?”

His eyes flashed at Denise. “What are you saying?”

“Alex, don’t get upset with me,” Denise held a hand out, “but things change, sweetheart; people change, feelings change, situations change. And sometimes, the things you think you feel or want to do aren’t really what you want deep down.”

“You think I’ve changed my mind about Renee?”

Denise wet her bottom lip, knowing she needed to choose her words carefully. “I think that I’ve seen the way you and Renee interact and it’s not like it used to be.”

“Well of course it’s not; look at everything I’m dealing with!” He exploded suddenly, waving a hand about the room.

“Exactly, darling, and that’s not the way you want to enter a marriage.” He paused at that and she knew she hit a mark. Taking a breath and sending up a silent prayer, she continued, “It only takes an instant for something to happen that changes how you view your future and it only takes one tiny incident to change your path in life; nothing’s constant and there are no guarantees. If you want to marry Renee, deep down underneath everything that’s going on, you still love her and want that future together; you share the same outlook on what your lives will be, then I’m not going to step in your way. But darling, with all the stress from Brielle and her baby and now Renee’s baby, if your feelings are changing, then that’s okay too. If you feel you aren’t able to make the kind of commitment to Renee that a marriage is, then you know that marrying her wouldn’t be right. You need to speak up.”

Alex sighed and rubbed his forehead. At the moment, he didn’t know how he felt about Renee; but he knew he wasn’t ready to marry her, or if he even wanted to. His mother was right; he needed to say something before it got out of hand and Renee was dragging him down the aisle, or he was leaving her standing there waiting on him to show when he knew he never would. But it wasn’t going to sit well with the dark haired beauty and she was not going to let it go without a fight; which the tattooed man didn’t know if he had the energy to deal with.

“I’ll think about it,” he finally relented, lifting his head and meeting his mother’s gaze.

She smiled tightly; it hadn’t been what she wanted to hear, but he wasn’t balking at the idea, or causing an uproar, so it was better than nothing. “Alright, dear, and you know that you can talk to me if you’re feeling stressed or need some advice.”

“I know,” he smiled at that and it reached his eyes, “and I appreciate that. You’ve been a good mom to me over the years.”

“I could have been much better.”

“Don’t say that, you did the best you knew how.”

“I know.” She sighed some and fiddled with the fabric of the arm chair. “I just want you to be happy, Alex; that’s all I’ve ever wanted.

He watched her, feeling the guilt starting to set in at hiding his drinking and he hated himself at the moment. “You’ve done a good job, Mom; a real good job. I am happy.”

“That’s a lie.”

He sighed. “I know; but what’s going on now isn’t your fault, it’s my own. And now, I need to be the one to fix it.”

“Can’t you even let me try to help?”

“What are you going to do? You can’t talk any sense into Renee or keep Brielle from running off if she thinks she’s messing up my life, or perform some kind of miracle so the two of them can at least stand to be in the same room together.”

Denise chuckled low. “I handled myself just fine yesterday. I thought Renee was going to explode when Brielle and Lily came back to the house.”

“I’m sure you did.” A grin tugged at his lips. “Brie says she’s just ignoring Renee; says she isn’t going to let her get under her skin because then she’ll have won.”

“That’s a good way of looking at it.” His mother smiled. “I wasn’t sure I was going to really like Brielle, but I think I was wrong. She’s darling and so sweet and just has this…” she trailed off, trying to figure out the right words to describe it.

“Innocence and vulnerability?”

Denise mulled that over and nodded. “You could say that; it makes you just want to take her in your care and keep her safe.”

“Yeah, it really does.” He sighed some and a tiny grin flittered over his face as he pictured the blonde. There was something about her that captivated him and he couldn’t explain what it was or why. Things seemed so easy when she was around and he didn’t feel like the weak and scared drunk, he felt like he was strong and needed and could do anything. She needed his strength, but she was the one that was providing it to him. He chuckled at that realization and felt his cheeks flush at the look his mother sent his way.

“What?”

“Nothing.” Shaking his head, he rubbed his warm cheek and cleared his throat. “So um, I should call the gate company and get someone out here to fix it.”

“You should, that way no other estranged parents wander up the drive.”

Alex knew it was a joke, but couldn’t help but think about his own father appearing again. He felt a punch to his gut at that and tried to push it from his mind. “I think I’m gonna go check on Brielle.”

“Alright, son.”

He pushed himself from the couch and tugged up his pants some then moved over to Denise and kissed her atop her head. “Love you, Mom.”

“Love you too, baby.” She squeezed his hand then watched him go, her head falling against the back of the chair once she was alone in the room. Her instincts told her he was drinking again and she knew better than to question him on it; once was enough and if she tried for more, it’d send him running and there’d be no way for her to help him. So she needed to ease into it, maybe place a call to his sponsor who could drop by ‘unexpectedly’. Whatever route she took, he could have no idea it had been her or who knows the repercussions it might cause.

When that thought hit her, Denise turned her head toward the archway that led to the stairwell. She could put the wheels in motion, but maybe she wouldn’t need to do anything more. She’d seen the way her son and Brielle had been sitting when she’d arrived back from the airport. And she wasn’t blind; she’d seen the way he looked at the young woman when he thought no one was watching. Brielle had the same expression in her eyes when she observed Alex. Not to mention, the kiss on the piano bench she’d nearly interrupted. Neither one had seen her and she’d hightailed it out of there faster than a rabbit running from a fox. This might be just what Alex needed to work through his drinking; a silver lining around a cloud so to speak. Because something was happening between the two, slowly but surely, and though the situation wasn’t the best, Denise couldn’t help but smile.
Chapter Eighteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Enjoy! :)

“So, what are your plans for today?” Denise questioned her son and Brielle the following morning as they finished the last of their breakfast. She’d woken up early and decided that the three of them had needed some pancakes, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs. Mrs. Morenci had weekends off, so she’d done the necessary shopping and now they were out on the deck off the sunroom enjoying a late morning meal. It was a beautiful day despite being the middle of December and long sleeve shirts had been enough to keep the breeze from chilling them. The sun was shaded from their eyes with the large umbrella that rose from the middle of the table and expanded all around and the peacefulness all around made it the perfect setting to enjoy a quiet breakfast.

Alex glanced over to the blonde then looked to his mom. “I thought I’d take Brielle and we’d go pick out a Christmas tree.”

“Really?” Brielle’s eyes widened as she stared at him. She hadn’t had a decent Christmas since she’d left home and the idea of picking a tree and decorating it, preparing the house for the holidays gave her the warm fuzzies inside.

He grinned at the look on her face. “Really; and I thought while we were doing that,” he cast his eyes over toward his mom, “that you might pull the decorations from the attic and you could start decorating if you want. Brie and I will join you once we get the tree.”

Denise gaze shifted between the two and a broad smile broke out over her face. “I think that sounds wonderful.”

“Great!” Alex matched her smile then finished up his eggs, wiping his mouth and setting the napkin to the side. “That was delicious, Mom.”

“Thank you, baby.”

“Yes, it was very good,” Brielle chimed in as she gathered her plate and milk glass. “Would you like any help cleaning up?”

“Oh, no, I got it, Brielle. You and Alex go get ready and then go get you a tree.”

“Are you sure?”

Denise smiled and nodded her head. “Yes, I’m sure. Not get you two.” She waved her napkin at them.

Alex chuckled and he and Brielle took their dishes to the sink then parted ways to get ready for their outing. They met up twenty minutes later then it was out into his SUV and off they went, pulling from the drive and through the newly fixed gates the men had repaired early that morning. Soon they were on the freeway and heading north from the city.

Brielle glanced around at their surroundings then turned to the tattooed man as he maneuvered them around the traffic. “Where are we gonna get a tree from?”

“I usually get ‘em from this tree lot up this way a bit.” He motioned ahead of them.

“A tree lot?”

Alex glanced over and chuckled at the look of disbelief on her face. “Something wrong with a tree lot?”

“It’s just…it’s so not the Christmas spirit.”

“It’s not?”

“No,” she shook her head, “not at all. You’re supposed to go tramping through the snow with your handsaw and take hours searching for that right Christmas tree, looking over tree after tree until you finally spot it, out there waiting for you. Then you take some time and a lot of muscle and sweat to cut it down just right, so you don’t ruin the trunk. And finally, you bring it back to the front where they wrap it for you and load it onto the top of your vehicle and you’re off for home.”

Alex listened to that as he drove, a smile etching over his face at the thought of Brielle trying to cut down her own tree then lugging it all by herself through a forest. And then he was laughing, leaning forward some over the steering wheel.

Brielle chuckled some. “What?” She reached and tucked some hair behind her ear. “Is that stupid? Wanting to cut down my own tree?”

“Not at all.” He cleared his throat, resisting the urge to laugh more. “I was just picturing you tramping through the woods in some big boots, trying to drag a tree behind you and it made me laugh.”

She laughed low. “I could never do that myself; but we could probably do it together.”

His gaze shifted her way. “You want to find your own tree and cut it down?” Brielle nodded and the look on her face made it hard for him to resist. “Alright, though I have no idea where one is and I don’t own a saw.”

She giggled low. “We’ll stop and get what we need. But first,” leaning toward the GPS she began the task of locating the nearest Christmas tree farm, “we find a location.”

Alex couldn’t contain his smile and he let her do her thing, enjoying the excitement she was exuberating and he found it starting to rub off on himself as well. By the time they had left Home Depot with their saws, twine and Christmas tree stand with quilt he was feeling like he could skip along right with her. They loaded the necessities up and soon were on their way to Nancy’s Ranch; a Christmas tree farm that had pre cut, but also cut your own Monterey Pines. Which is exactly what they were going to do.

Soon, they had pulled into the farm and unloaded the items they would need. Following the signs to the Monterey Pines, Alex and Brielle soon found themselves amongst row after row of perfectly formed pine trees.

“Wow,” Brielle breathed out, doing a slow circle and taking it in. It was like magic to her; to see all the green trees and it brought back memories of Christmas’ from when she was young, before she was old enough to realize how petty and horrible her parents truly were. That age where no mom could do wrong and dad was the hero. Those were the happy times in her life and instead of wishing to go back, she only hoped she could do the same for her baby, with one slight difference; continue it all the way to adulthood. Brielle didn’t want to make the same mistakes her parents had so she vouched right then and there, to be the best mother she possibly could and always support her child’s decision.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Alex’s voice pulled her from her thoughts and she looked to him, a smile forming over her lips. “It’s just missing the snow.”

“You like snow?”

Brielle fell in step with him and together they strolled along one of the paths between two rows of trees. “It doesn’t feel like Christmas without snow; but I could deal with just cold too; because sometimes there isn’t always snow right on Christmas.”

“I think the only time I had snow at Christmas was when I was visiting New York.”

“Not even when you were little?”

Alex shook his head, bringing the handsaw up to his shoulder, the blade facing out. “No, I grew up in Florida. I didn’t see snow for the first time until I joined the band and we traveled to Europe.”

“Wow,” she glanced to him, “that’s wild.”

He gave a small shrug. “It was normal for me.”

“I suppose it was.” She slowed her pace and glanced around at the pine trees. “See one you like?”

“Hm,” he surveyed the area then strode over to a large one that was a deep green color and at least seven feet tall, “how ‘bout this one?”

Brielle tilted her head and checked it over then a brilliant smile lit up her face and she joined him. “It’s perfect.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes,” she giggled and crouched, gently moving some branches out of the way, “let’s cut it down.”

Alex chuckled at her excitement then knelt down next to her. “How do we do that?”

“Ummmm,” she tapped her chin, “well you just lie on the ground then use the saw here at the base of the trunk,” as she spoke, she patted the tree trunk where it met the ground. “But you have to be careful so you don’t cut yourself or cause the tree to fall the wrong way and crush us.”

He would have thought she was serious had her eyes not been twinkling. He laughed low. “That won’t really happen, will it?”

Brielle shrugged. “You never know. Okay,” she shifted some and sank fully onto the ground, not caring that she was sitting right in the dirt, “the saw is big enough so if you hold one side, I hold the other and we can go back and forth. I don’t think it’ll be too hard.”

“Are you sure this is safe for you to be doing?”

She chuckled and motioned him around the tree to where he should sit. “I’ll be fine. We’re just cutting down a tree; I’m not running a marathon or climbing Mt. Everest.”

“Which are both things you won’t be doing while pregnant,” Alex added as he got himself settled on the ground.

“Darn, I was hoping we could do that next week.” She grinned at him then waited while he got the saw situated and had her take the other end.

“Okay, let’s hope we can do this.”

Brielle chuckled. “We’ll be fine; just don’t jerk it too hard, I’m not as strong as you are.”

He sent her a grin and winked then together they went to work.

It wasn’t an easy task by any means, but it wasn’t too difficult and thirty minutes later they were finally dragging the tree back to the front to have it wrapped and tied onto the top of the SUV.

“That wasn’t so bad, was it?” Brielle questioned as she helped maneuver the tree around the curve in the path that’d lead them to where they’d need to go.

Alex glanced to her, a grin on his face that he couldn’t wipe off. That had been some experience and he knew his shoulders and arms were going to be so sore tomorrow, but he didn’t care. He’d just cut down his first Christmas tree and now they were on their way to get it home so they could decorate. This was turning into one of the best days of his life and that really meant something considering all the wonderful things he’d gotten to encounter.

“Not at all, but I hope you didn’t overdo it.”

She glanced to herself then back to him. “I don’t think I did; I let you do most of the work.”

Alex laughed. “So that’s why the tree nearly fell over on me, because you weren’t doing anything.”

“Hey, I saved your ass.”

He laughed again and gently nudged her with his arm. “You did a good job back there.”

“Thanks and so did you, especially considering it was your very first tree.”

His grin grew. “Thanks, I’m pretty proud of myself.”

Brielle smiled. “You should be. Now, let’s get this thing wrapped and paid for then back to your place. And on the way, can we stop for some pizza? I suddenly want some extra cheese with mushrooms and pepperoni.” Then she made a face. “I don’t even like pepperoni.”

Alex chuckled and wiped the sweat from his brow that he’d worked up while cutting the tree down. “How are you gonna eat it if you don’t like it?”

“I don’t know, but I really want some,” she laughed low, “so we’ll find out.”

~*~*~*~*~

A couple hours later found Alex, Brielle and Denise in the living room finishing up the tree. An empty pizza box lay on the coffee table and boxes filled with different Christmas decorations were strewn about the floor. Denise had started with the mantle above the fireplace then moved on to the banister of the stairs. Garland and lights and snow globes were strewn about giving the house a wintery wonderland sort of feeling. And now the tree was nearly finished and once lit up, it’d be the perfect finishing touch.

“This is going to be so beautiful,” Brielle exclaimed softly as she stepped back and looked the tree over. Twinkling lights and candy canes, Christmas bulbs, silver garland and other Christmas ornaments decorated the beautiful pine they’d cut down.

“It’s something, isn’t it?” Alex stepped beside her, surveying the scene. “I think this is the prettiest tree I’ve had yet.”

“And it’s not even plugged in yet. Wait until the lights are on and the entire room is bathed in the twinkling lights.”

“Gonna be beautiful.” He grinned and touched her back.

Denise smiled as she watched the two. “Tomorrow, Brie and I are going shopping.”

“Oh yeah?” Alex lifted his brows and looked between the two women. “Gonna get some Christmas gifts?”

Brielle giggled lowly. “Maybe, though I don’t know what to get you. You have like…everything.”

“You don’t have to get me a thing.”

“But I want to. You’ve been so wonderful to me and I owe you something.”

He glanced to his mother then back to the blonde. “You don’t owe me a thing, babe. You’re here, that’s all I need.”

She smiled at that. “I still want to get you a little something.”

How could he deny that face? “Alright, and speaking of gifts, is there anything you had in mind that you might like?”

“Oh,” her blue eyes widened some, “I hadn’t really thought about it; but you’ve already done so much for me, I don’t need any gifts.”

Alex chuckled. “Now, you can’t tell me not to buy you anything if you’re gonna go buying me gifts.”

“True.” She tilted her head some. “Okay, but nothing big, I don’t need anything big.”

“Okay, shall we put the star on top?” Denise spoke up, breaking through their conversation.

“Ooh, yes,” Brielle clasped her hands together, a bright smile on her face. “Then we can turn the lights on.”

Alex grinned. “You want me to put it at top, Mom?” He brought the step ladder from around the other side of the tree.

“Sure, honey, but please be careful.” She handed it over and watched as her son climbed the stepstool and carefully set the star at the top, making sure it was secure before coming back down.

“There we go.” He smoothed his shirt and folded the stepstool, setting it off to the side.

“Alright, is everyone ready?” Denise moved over and flipped the overhead lights off then crouched at the outlet the tree was to be plugged into.

Brielle nodded and joined Alex, slipping her arm around his. “Yes, light this baby up.”

“Here we go,” the older woman stuck the plug into the socket and the room was bathed with the twinkling lights; warm hues of red and green, blue, yellow and white.

It was beautiful and Brielle could just feel the Christmas spirit in the room. She stared in awe at the tree, trying to remember the last time she’d had one; not since she lived at home. And even then it wasn’t decorated anything like this one. When she became a teenager, her parents bought a fake tree and they’d erect it every year, throw some white lights on it and a few bulbs and that’d be it. Brielle missed the decorating and the Christmas carols and making gingerbread houses and Christmas cookies.

“Do we have any Christmas music?” She turned to find Alex watching her, a peculiar look on his face. “What?”

He just shook his head and looked over to his mom. “You can put on some music if you want. I think the Christmas ones are in the bottom of the cabinet. I have a few phone calls I need to make so you guys just help yourselves.” Then he excused himself and slipped from the room.

Once inside his office, Alex sank down into his chair and rubbed his forehead. He was getting in too deep with Brielle and it was starting to scare him. Yes, he knew he was attracted to her and he liked the way she made him feel, but he could only see trouble if they continued on this path. It had taken all his willpower to not pull her into his arms as she stood in awe at the scene of the lit Christmas tree. He’d already taken it too far with the kisses and while a part of him wanted to let it take its natural course, he knew Brielle was right; it’d only cause more drama that they didn’t need. Besides, he had a fiancée he needed to be concentrating on and trying to decide what he needed to do. She wasn’t going to let up on this marriage thing and he didn’t know how to handle it. How could he tell her no when he’d promised her yes?

Leaning back some in his chair, Alex rifled through his bottom cabinet drawer and pulled out the hidden bottle of Jack Daniels. His thumb smoothed over the label as he studied it, debating on rather he wanted a drink or not. The thirst for the potent liquid was urging him on, but his conscience was shouting to ignore it. But it’d feel so good and he was already imagining how it would calm his nerves and help him think more clearly. Maybe he’d come up with a solution to all of his problems. What a lie; he’d only drink more and more until he was drunk off his ass and falling out of his chair. With an angry scowl, he shoved the bottle back into the drawer and slammed it shut.

“Alex?”

Glancing to the door, Alex saw his mother stick her head in and was thankful he’d decided not to have a drink. “What’s up?”

“I know you said you had some phone calls, but there’s someone here to see you.”

He lifted a brow, hoping it wasn’t Renee. He needed a little more time before he faced her. “Who?”

Denise shifted her gaze toward the hallway then back to her son. “Renee’s father.”

Alex nearly fell out of his chair. “Her father?”

“Yes, he said he needed to talk to you.”

Wonderful, one guess what it was about. Rubbing the bridge of his nose, he waved a hand. “You can show him in.”

Denise sent him a sympathetic look. “If you need me, just let me know.”

Alex nodded and thanked her then watched as she disappeared.

A moment later, a tall man with broad shoulders, a thick chest and a head full of dark hair strode into the room. He looked like a man on a mission and someone you certainly didn’t want to mess with. Closing the door securely behind him, he turned to his host. “Hello, Alexander.”

Alex rose from the desk and moved around it to greet the older man. “Mr. Kemp, it’s nice to see you again.”

The two shook hands. “How many times have I told you to call me Charles?”

He chuckled low and motioned him to have a seat. “I know, please, have a seat.” He motioned toward the chair on the other side of the desk. “Would you like something to drink?”

Charles Kemp shook his head and sank down into the chair. “No, I’m good, but thank you.”

Alex nodded and returned to his seat. “So, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

“I think you know what this call is about.” He leveled his gaze on the younger man.

Alex wet his bottom lip, his heart beginning to beat a bit faster. “Um, I have a pretty good idea.”

“Good,” Charles leaned forward some in the chair, “then I’ll just jump right into what I want to say to you.”

The other gentleman watched him with a wary expression. He had the sudden image of Renee’s father hauling him up over the desk by the collar of his shirt and threatening to break every bone in his body if he didn’t do as Renee requested. Swallowing hard, he spoke in a hesitant tone, “…What’s that?”

“You got my daughter pregnant. She’s told us. She’s also told us that you don’t seem to want to marry her anymore.” A frown line appeared on his forehead. “And that upsets us greatly, Alex, after all, you’d already promised that you would and now you’re balking at the idea.”

Alex felt his stomach rolling and rubbed the palms of his hands on his jeans. “I know I did and I meant it at the time, sir.”

“Then what’s the problem? We know about this young girl you’ve also managed to knock up through your indiscretions, but that shouldn’t hamper what you’ve told my daughter. She’s the innocent in all this and you have made her feel like the guilty party. Do you know how upset she is? She was counting on a life with you and you’re pulling the rug right out from under her feet.” He leaned forward some in the chair and Alex winced at the expression in his eyes; this man meant business and he didn’t care how he had to go about showing it. “You’re going to leave my daughter alone and pregnant with your child and that does not sit well with me, at all, Alexander.”

The young man rubbed his chest, feeling the pounding of his heart hard against it. “Um…sir,” he spoke slowly, trying to formulate the words in his head. “I have a lot going on right now and…I just don’t think rushing into a marriage is the right thing to do.”

“That’s neither here nor there, young man. You’re making Renee pay for your mistakes and that’s not right. Instead of shrinking from your responsibilities you need to act like a man and do the right thing.”

A frown fell over his face. “Shrinking from my responsibilities? I am doing the right thing, sir. I’m trying to take care of both women that are having my children-”

“Both women?” The older man interrupted him with fire in his eyes. “I think you need to reevaluate your actions, Mr. McLean, because that is not what you’re doing at all. You’ve taken this other young lady into your care and have left your own fiancée out in the cold.”

Alex’s frown deepened and he opened his mouth to respond, but Charles cut him off again, “My daughter is due late August and she will not bring a child into this world as an unmarried woman. So I suggest you get your priorities in order and your ass into gear and figure out when this wedding is going to be. Because so help me, you do not want me coming back here.”

The look on his face and the tone of his voice told him that Renee’s father meant business. But he didn’t like being backed into a corner and threatened. “Mr. Kemp,” he spoke, trying to keep his voice even. “I know you think you have your daughter’s best interests in mind, and I mean this with the upmost respect, but my life is not your business. What goes on between Renee and I is between us, not us and you or anyone else. The decisions I make are going to be what’s best for me. I appreciate that you came over here, but I’m going to ask you to leave now.”

A look of scorn passed over Charles Kemp’s face and he sat back and smoothed his button down shirt. “Very well, Mr. McLean.” He stood from his chair and met the younger man’s eyes. “Just remember what I said.”

Alex didn’t let his gaze waver despite the sick feeling in his stomach. “And you remember what I said.”

The older man frowned at that then buttoned his suit jacket and strode purposefully from the room.

He waited until he was sure his fiancée’s father was gone before he sagged back into the chair and ran a hand over his face. Well, that was just a wonderful surprise from her dad. What a perfect mark on the great day he was having. Wait until his mother found out what Charles has said, correction; what he had threatened. If he knew what was good for him, he wouldn’t tell Denise because she’d probably march herself over to their house and tell them where they could shove it. But he was expecting her to appear in the office any minute for a summary of what had gone down. She has sensed it wasn’t a friendly visit and she’d want to know the end results.

And because of that, he didn’t reach for the bottle hidden away in his desk drawer despite the strong craving he was experiencing.

However, it wasn’t Denise that knocked at the door a few moments later. It was Brielle and she slipped into the room when Alex gave the nod that she could.

“Hey,” she fiddled at her sweater with her fingers, “how ya feeling?”

His deep, brown eyes studied her. “Did my mom send you in here?”

A half grin covered her lips. “Guilty as charged.” Then she moved and sank into the chair Charles had vacated. “She told me that man was Renee’s father. I’m sure he wasn’t here to congratulate you on the baby news.”

“No,” Alex chuckled low and shook his head, “he most certainly wasn’t.”

She nodded and tucked her hands beneath her legs. “What’d he say?”

The tattooed man blew a puff of air between his legs. “Basically told me that I better marry Renee and before the baby comes or else.”

“Or else what?”

“Hell if I know; or else he’d kick my ass…make my life a living hell, burn my house down.”

“Oh my gosh, how horrible!” She frowned and he found himself smiling at the expression on her face.

“I’m not going to let it bother me or persuade my decision.”

“Good.” Brielle nodded firmly. “You need to do what’s right for you and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.”

He shook his head. “Oh, no worries there; I’ve never let anyone tell me what to do.”

She nodded some and fell silent, studying him a moment. Finally, she tilted her head and spoke, “So, does this mean you’re rethinking marrying Renee?”

“I,” he faltered some and wet his bottom lip, drumming his fingers on the smooth surface of his desk. “I can’t marry her before the baby is born; that’s just...too soon.”

“But…after?”

He sighed, slouching more in the chair and turning his gaze to the window.

Brielle was quiet for a moment, his silence telling her what she needed to know. “I see.” She smoothed her hands over the small bump in her tummy then rose from the chair. “I’m gonna go help your mom make some Christmas cookies.”

Alex blinked and looked to her. “Oh, okay.” He shouldn’t have been surprised by her reaction, he had a feeling he knew she was into him as much as he was into her. Yet it did surprise him and he felt a sting inside at the look on her face she was so desperately trying to hide.

She nodded and stepped away from the chair. “You should probably call Renee…cuz I’m sure her dad isn’t going to tell her anything good. And if…you want to save your relationship, you need to make amends.” Then she headed for the door.

He watched her go with a heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach. She paused a moment at the door and he leaned forward, expecting her to whirl and say something more, but she didn’t. She continued through the doorway and disappeared out of sight. Shit. What the hell was his problem? He knew he didn’t want to marry Renee anymore, but it wasn’t something he could admit and he didn’t know why. And he knew he’d hurt Brielle’s feelings though she would probably never admit it.

His head was starting to hurt just thinking it all over. He’d really gotten himself into a bad situation and now he was stuck. What the hell was a guy to do? Shifting his gaze to the bottom drawer of his desk, he reached for the handle. The only thing that could help him at that moment, that’s what; some Jack D.

~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later there was a knock on his door and Alex glanced up in a drunken daze. Shit, his mother was going to come in and yell at him then try and send him back to rehab. “Yeah?”

Brielle stuck her head in. “Um, sorry to bother you, but your mom sent me in to check on you again.” She chuckled low. “Told me it’d be better if I did.”

He had to agree. Dropping the empty bottle back into the lower drawer, he pushed it shut with his foot then swiveled the chair to face her. “I’m drunk, it’s good thing she didn’t come in here.”

“I think she kind of figured that.” She slipped into the room and shut the door quietly behind her. “She had this…sad look on her face.”

“She hates when I drink.”

“Are you a mean drunk?”

“No,” Alex shook his head and patted his thigh for her to sit, “I just do it too much.”

Brielle remained standing, close to the door. “Maybe you should work on that.”

“I tried once.” He made a face and shook his head. “Didn’t like it, so I quit trying.”

“Oh.” She pursed her lips and studied him.

Alex sighed and dropped his head back against the back of the chair. “Being drunk beats being sober sometimes.”

“Are you trying to forget what’s going on?”

“I try, but it doesn’t always work.”

Slowly, Brielle moved closer to the desk. “You know…I don’t know how well drinking to forget your problems works, but it doesn’t sound very good to me. Besides, once you’re sober again, they’re all still there.”

“Yeah, no shit.” He sighed and closed his eyes, wishing he’d stuck more than one bottle in the drawer.

“Well, excuse me.” She frowned and tugged on the hem of her shirt. “Anyway, I was just checking on you. I’ll tell your mother you’re nice and drunk.”

His head snapped up at that. “No!”

Brielle jerked some at the ferocity in his voice. Quickly, she recovered. “Oh, right, your mom can’t know about your drinking. Can I give you a piece of advice?”

Alex frowned at that. “What?”

“Next time you want to drink; do it somewhere else and don’t tell me about it. Your mom is a wonderful person and I don’t want to have to lie to her anymore.” Then she turned on her heel and strode from the room.

Damnit, he sure had a knack for pissing people off; and Brielle at that. Wonderful. If he hadn’t been drunk he would have gone after her, but he wasn’t in the mood to apologize and she wouldn’t want to hear it anyway. He’d just have to make it up to her tomorrow and hope she forgave him. He already had one woman pissed off at him; he couldn’t afford to have another. Not to mention, she was the one person he didn’t want to hurt. Look at what a great job he was doing with that. Sometimes he was such a fuck up.
End Notes:
Okay, so this chp took a bit of a different path then I had intended. I was originally going to ask what you think Brielle should get Alex for Christmas...so any ideas would be helpful as well as how you think it ended. Thanks so much! :)
Chapter Nineteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Glad to see some of my regulars reviewing again. :) Enjoy this one.

Brielle managed to avoid Alex all day Sunday. Unfortunately, she couldn’t hide from him on Monday; he’d set up some interviews for her and she really needed the job so she was going to have to play nice for the day. It wasn’t that she was angry at him as she was hurt by his actions and what he had said. She had tried to keep herself from falling for him, but he was just irresistible and he had been so insistent on kissing her every time she turned out, so really, it was his fault. Or at least that’s what she told herself. What she should have done was listened to her own lectures when she talked to Lily and not let herself be pulled in by his charm and strong persona. She should have behaved herself and not crossed the line from friends to …whatever the hell it was they were. He was her baby daddy and that’s all it was ever going to be.

Alex was still going to marry Renee after everything she’d put him through and there was nothing Brielle could do about it. Besides, did she want a man who ran back to someone like his fiancée after the way she treated him? Not a chance in hell. She wanted someone who could stand up for themselves, who knew what they wanted and did what they had to in order to obtain it. Not someone who drank themselves under the table to forget their problems and submitted to a marriage they didn’t want. He was only fooling himself and it would come back and bite him in the ass eventually. So she would step back behind the line and make sure she stayed there. There wouldn’t be any more stolen kisses or tender moments.

And so, Monday morning, Brielle greeted Alex with less than stellar enthusiasm and behaved herself in a cordial manner. She had put everything behind her and was going to focus on nothing but what lay ahead; like getting a good job and finding her own place. The sooner she could get out of Alex’s place and be able to stand on her own two feet, the better.

Alex didn’t say much as he drove the blonde to her interviews. She had three scheduled that day; one at a recording studio as a receptionist, one as a hostess at a very nice restaurant in Beverly Hills and one at a five star hotel as a desk clerk. None of them particularly interested Brielle, none of them had anything to do with her photography passion, but she wasn’t going to complain. A job was a job and money was money and she needed it badly. Besides, photography was not her thing she’d been hearing over and over and despite loving it, it was something she might just have to give up completely.

The interviews lasted from twenty minutes to almost an hour and Brielle wasn’t expecting Alex to wait around for each one, but he did and she’d find him in the lobby messing with his iPhone afterward. She didn’t say much, just thanked him and told him she was ready to go and he’d pocket the phone then follow her out to his SUV. He stopped for lunch between the restaurant and the hotel and though she wasn’t hungry, she forced down a few bites so he wouldn’t get onto her about her diet.

Alex seemed to know she was upset with him for he didn’t try to converse her in any conversations other than small talk about the weather or traffic. He asked how the interviews went and accepted her short responses before telling her that he was sure she did well and she’d get something. She thanked him and realized that it hurt just as much that he wasn’t bothering to try and talk to her as it did with his wordless admission about marrying Renee. He didn’t seem to care and she couldn’t figure out if that made her angry or sad. He had seemed to care enough that she stay in California and that she was taken care of, but she guessed that was as far as it went. Her feelings weren’t that important and obviously expendable to him.

That thought definitely angered Brielle, but she didn’t get a chance to voice it because when they returned to his place after her last interview, she found her parents seated in the living room with Denise, drinking lemonade and making pleasant conversation about the weather in California compared to Virginia.

“I couldn’t just ignore them,” Denise explained to the blonde the first chance she could. She had excused herself and joined Brielle in the kitchen when the younger woman had said she was thirsty and wanted something to drink. “Besides, I was hoping I might be able to get out of them their reasons for showing up.”

Brielle poured herself some orange juice and capped the container. “Did you?”

“No, they keep changing the subject.”

That made her frown. She tucked the juice back in the fridge and shut the door securely. “I’m not in the mood to deal with them today.”

“I’m sorry, honey, if I had known that I would have told them you weren’t available.”

“It’s okay,” she took up her glass and turned to the other woman, “I’ll deal with them. I just wish they’d go away already.”

Denise frowned. “Are you feeling okay?”

Tears began to threaten her and she had to look away before they were noticed. “I’m just tired; the interviews really wore me out.”

“I’m so sorry.” Denise moved and took her arm. “I’ll tell them to leave and you can go upstairs and lie down.”

“No,” she shook her head, “I need to go in there and face them; see if I can figure out what’s going on.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” she sent the older woman a grateful, but tired, smile, “thank you though.”

Denise returned the smile and gave her a motherly kiss atop her head. “You’re welcome, dear.”

Brielle waited a moment and took a few sips of her orange juice before finally pushing away from the counter. “Time to go face the music.” Together, she and Denise strolled down the hall and back into the living room.

It was not a very pleasant surprise to find Renee had arrived while they’d been in the kitchen.

Renee didn’t hide her discontent on seeing the blonde one bit. “I thought you’d be out trying to find some kind of a job; I think I saw help wanted ad for a prostitute this morning. Bet if you go down to the corner, someone will hook you up.”

Brielle didn’t even blink. “Stop being a bitch.” Then she looked at her parents. “You know, I don’t really believe your whole 'we miss you, we want you back in our lives’ routine, so maybe you ought to tell me the real reason you showed up here.”

No one in the room spoke and the silence hung heavy in the air. The seconds seemed to tick by and then suddenly everyone was talking at once.

“Are you seriously going to let her talk to me like that?!”

“Brielle, we are telling you the truth!”

“We’re your parents, we love you.”

“Shut up, Renee, what you said was uncalled for.”

The only one who remained silent was Alex and he just observed everyone with a watchful eye.

“Okay, everybody, stop!” The blonde held her hands out in a ‘stop’ motion.

All mouths closed, but then Renee scowled and spoke again, “These are your parents?” She turned her angry glare toward Chloe and Joshua. “You’re here to take Brielle back to your home, right? I’m so glad, because she’s ruining my relationship and Alex and I are trying to plan a wedding before our child is born.”

Chloe looked stunned. “You’re pregnant too?”

The brunette nodded. “Yes, and your daughter is trying to fill my fiancé’s head with garbage so he freaks out and won’t marry me.”

“We’d love to take Brielle home,” Joshua spoke up.

“I’m not going anywhere.” She placed her hands on her hips and frowned at everyone then her gaze leveled with Renee’s. “And you, chill out for five seconds please, Alex is still planning on marrying you, so relax.”

Renee’s eyes widened and Alex frowned. “He is?” She looked to him. “You are? I mean, of course you are; you did promise me you would. I have the ring already.” She flashed the diamond and giggled. “Wait until I tell my father.”

Alex’s frown deepened. “Renee,” then he seemed to think better and his gaze landed on Brielle, “Brielle…”

She arched a brow at him.

He sighed and shook his head then stood. “I’m going outside for a smoke.”

“I’ll come with.” Renee nearly leapt to her feet. “I can call my daddy and we can discuss what month is best.”

Brielle resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Yeah, tell him to rent the country club…but make sure you don’t wear white; that’d be telling a lie. Red would suit you best.”

“Why you little…”

Renee started for her but Alex reached and caught her arm. “Let’s go outside, Renee.” Then he tugged her from the room and out of sight.

“Well,” Denise spoke up as their exit left a thick silence in the room.

Chloe sighed. “Brielle, we would love nothing more than for you to come back to Virginia with us. Let us take care of you; you’re our daughter and you’re having a child. That’s not going to be easy, especially out here on your own.”

“She won’t be alone,” Denise frowned at that, “my son is out here and he’s making sure she’s taken care of.”

“Your son is going to be getting married and having a baby with his fiancée slash wife, how much care can he give my daughter?”

“Stop calling me your daughter!” Brielle exploded at Chloe. “You lost that privilege when you disowned me.”

Chloe looked taken back and Joshua frowned. “Don’t talk to your mother that way.”

“She’s not my mother,” the blonde spit out.

“I’ll always be your mother, Brielle, no matter how much you try to ignore that!”

“You need to leave,” she pointed toward the direction of the foyer, “and you need to take your husband with you. Go back to Virginia; I’m done with you both.”

“You don’t mean that.” Joshua’s frown grew more.

She lifted a brow and folded her arms across her chest. “Like hell I don’t. I’m not in the mood to stand here and argue with you or anyone else. So just leave. I made up my mind and I want nothing to do with either of you.”

“You really think you’re going to be able to survive out here?” Chloe straightened the silver watch on her wrist. “Sure, Alex may be here for you now, but once his other child comes and he’s married, you’re going to be alone, Brielle, alone with a child. How do you plan on raising a child on your own? You’ll never be able to do that without some kind of help and Alex will be too busy with his real family to even care about you or that baby. And do you know how difficult it will be to find a husband? No man is going to want a packaged deal.”

“That’s enough!” Denise barked from the chair she was perched on. Anger was clearly evident on her face and she had to clasp her hands together to keep them from shaking. “I am not going to sit here and let you talk about my son in that way! He is a good man and he is going to take care of his child and his child’s mother no matter what he does or who he marries or how much time goes by! And if either of you think otherwise then I strongly suggest you keep it to yourself, because I do not want to hear another word!”

Another bout of silence fell over them, no one speaking because they didn’t know what to say. Finally, Chloe cleared her throat and gathered her handbag from next to her. “I apologize for what I said; it was wrong of me to assume those things of Alex. I’m sure he’s a wonderful person and I’m sure he will do what he can to care for my daughter and my grandchild.”

Denise nodded some, accepting the apology, but anger still clearly written on her face. “Thank you.”

Joshua motioned to his wife. “Perhaps we shall go; I think everyone needs some time to calm down.”

“Yes, you should go, go all the way back to Virginia,” Brielle spoke up.

He frowned. “We aren’t giving up on you, Rie.”

“I wish you would.”

“Okay, that’s enough,” Chloe interrupted them before they could start another argument. “Let’s go, Joshua. Let’s give Brie some time to calm down; obviously she’s feeling very emotional; pregnancy does that.”

It took all of the blonde’s willpower not to mimic her mother. Instead, she took a deep breath and mentally counted to five before speaking again, “I think leaving is a good idea.”

“Alright, we’ll go,” he finally relented then rose to his feet and helped his wife stand. “But we’re not done here; I told you that we aren’t giving up and I mean that.”

Brielle didn’t say a word, just pointed toward the foyer then watched as they gave a polite goodbye to Denise and finally exited the room.

“Geeze oh petes,” she finally breathed once they were gone.

Denise’s hazel eyes were filled with concern. “Are you alright, honey?”

She sank slowly down onto the edge of the couch, feeling the tears threatening her again. “I…I don’t know.”

Quickly, the older woman joined Brielle on the couch and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her to her chest in a comforting and motherly fashion. “It’s alright, dear, just let it out.”

And so she did, pressing her face into Denise’s chest and letting her tears flow. She wasn’t even sure why she was crying, but it had to come out. It’d been building since her disagreement with Alex and the scene with her parents had made it worse. So she cried; for Alex, for her parents, for herself, for her baby. Wetting the other woman’s shirt, giving herself a headache, her shoulders jerking and face becoming red and splotchy.

Denise didn’t seem to mind any of it; just held her close and rocked her back and forth, whispering soothing words only a mother could say and letting her get it all out.

Finally, when Brielle didn’t think she had any tears left, she pulled back and took the tissue from her surrogate mother, wiping at her eyes and blowing her nose. “Thank you,” she managed out in a hiccupped and strangled tone.

“You have nothing to apologize for.” Denise reached and took up the glass or orange juice Brielle had set down earlier. “Here, take a sip of this.”

She did as requested then lowered the glass to her lap, hiccupping and frowning at how it hurt her chest. “I hate hiccups.”

“I do too.”

“They hurt.” She rubbed her chest and glanced around the room, wondering if Alex was still outside with Renee. They were probably making out on the porch, or maybe Renee had dragged him off somewhere to look at wedding things.

Denise nodded some and tucked some hair behind the younger woman’s ear. “You’ve had a very trying day, I’m sure; what with the interviews and this whole fiasco.”

“Yeah, I’m kind of tired.”

“How ‘bout I get you a cool, damp cloth and you go upstairs and lie down?”

“That sounds nice.”

“Okay,” she patted Brielle’s leg, “go on upstairs and I’ll bring you one. Do you need anything else?”

‘Yeah, your son,’ she thought briefly before shaking her head and clearing her throat. The idea of Alex holding her and giving her the comfort she needed was something she longed for, but knew was impossible; things were different now. He was merely Alex; father of her child. “No,” she finally spoke.

“Alright, dear; go on upstairs. I’ll be up in just a minute.”

Brielle nodded and rose from the sofa, still clutching her glass of orange juice. “Thank you.”

Denise pouted at the lost expression on her face before nodding. “You’re more than welcome, dear.” Then she watched as the blonde turned and slowly shuffled from the room.

Her heart ached at what she’d witnessed between Brielle and her parents and Brielle and Renee and even Brielle and Alex. The tension between the latter two was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Something had happened between them on Saturday in his office, but she didn’t know what. She had tried to hint at it with the younger girl while they had been baking the cookies, but Brielle hadn’t seemed interested in admitting anything. Which was one of the reasons she had sent her back into the office to check on Alex a couple hours later. Probably had been a mistake, because she’d come storming out of there this time angry and the two had barely talked since then. Obviously, the few hours they’d spent together when he’d taken her to the interviews hadn’t helped and the way the two had snapped at each other during the whole debacle proved they still weren’t on good terms.

That didn’t sit well with the older woman and it needed to be fixed immediately; Brielle was dealing with enough, the last thing she needed was to be at arm’s length with her son. They needed to make amends and they needed to do it now. With that thought in mind, Denise went off in search of a washcloth and Alexander.

~*~*~*~*~

The day had not been easy on Alex and it was becoming increasingly worse. He hated the silent treatment Brielle was giving him and he knew he deserved it, but it made him want to take her by the arms and shake her until she either yelled at him or cried or both. Not that he liked to see a woman cry; he hated it in fact and hated it even more when he was the reason, but at least then he’d get some kind of emotion from her. Sunday she had avoided him like the plague, which hadn’t been too difficult when she and Denise had been gone most the day. And Monday, he had taken her to the interviews, not sure what to expect or how it was going to go down and all he had to report was nothing. She barely spoke unless she absolutely had to and then kept it to as short a response as she could.

It hurt the pop star to know he had caused her pain, but he didn’t know how to fix the situation. Yes, Alex was attracted to her, he knew that much and he liked the way she made him feel. Things seemed so easy when it came to Brielle and she had become the only person he felt at ease with. When they were together he didn’t want a drink and he didn’t have to fight the urge. It was just the two of them together, enjoying each other’s company and not expecting too much of the other one. That scared the young man because he’d never felt like that with anyone, ever. He didn’t know what to do with it or how to handle it. Since when were relationships like that? Nothing was ever that easy. At least not in his case.

So what was a guy to do? She seemed supremely miffed at him and Alex didn’t know how to make it up to her. Was she mad because he hadn’t told her no, he wasn’t going to marry Renee? They weren’t in a relationship so she couldn’t be that upset and she was the one that continued to apologize about messing his future with Renee up. She had seemed to want them to be together and she had nearly fled a few times just to be out of their way. When had that changed?

‘When you kissed her. Every time you kissed her.’

He knew the answer and he knew it had been wrong to do that to her. She had told him they couldn’t, but he hadn’t been able to help himself. It just felt so right with her and natural and that’s what one did when things felt that way. Maybe he had crossed a line; no he definitely had. Renee was still wearing his ring and he was kissing on another woman. Somehow, Alex always managed to do something to fuck himself over. And he couldn’t even begin to explain why. He didn’t enjoy self sabotaging himself, but it had become such a habit he didn’t even know he was doing it. Someone needed to kick his ass into gear and get him in line because if things continued this way, he’d only self destruct.

Speaking of self destruct, that’s what he wanted to do at the very moment because Renee wouldn’t shut up about their wedding. She was seated next to him on his porch swing in the backyard rambling about the colors she wanted and how big the wedding party should be, where they should get married, what kind of wedding cake they should have. If he heard the word wedding one more time he was going to lose it.

He did his best to ignore her; smoking cigarette after cigarette, his left leg bouncing, nodding or forcing a ‘yeah’ out when she looked to him for a response on what he thought. She didn’t seem to notice his absentmindedness or chalked it off as that’s how it went with men and wedding planning, when in reality he couldn’t get the sweet blonde that was inside his house having it out with her parents out of his head.

He hadn’t wanted to leave, but if he’d stayed there would have been a catfight of some sorts and neither pregnant woman needed that. Besides, he needed a cigarette. It was hell not being able to smoke inside or whenever he needed. He had to slip outside at all hours of the night or day to have one smoke and after he needed to sometimes change his shirt if the scent was too strong. Brielle’s doctor had been adamant about the young woman staying away from the potent smoke and he was doing his best to follow the doctor’s orders.

“What do you think about a March wedding?”

He didn’t hear the question at first, but felt the swing stop its gentle sway and looked over to Renee to see a look of definite annoyance on her face. Lowering his cigarette, he cleared his throat then spoke, “What?”

“Are you listening to me?”

“Of course I’m listening to you.”

“Oh really?” A manicured brow arched. “What did I just say?”

“You asked if I was listening to you.”

Renee’s mouth formed a thin line. “You’re not funny.”

“I’m not trying to be.”

She frowned. “You’re not even listening to me. I’m trying to figure out our wedding and you’re off in la la land.” A pause. “Ooh, you better not be thinking about that bitch; hopefully she’ll go home with her parents where she belongs.”

That hit a nerve and his eyes flashed at her. “I don’t care how much you like or don’t like Brielle; you will never call her a bitch or a whore or anything like that again.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, Renee. I’m not going to let you talk about her like that.”

“Who are you to tell me how I can act?”

He pinched the bridge of his nose, taking a deep breath in hopes of it calming him. It didn’t seem to help and he cursed under his breath.

Renee smirked. “I thought so.”

He opened his mouth to respond, in a not so nice manner, when his mother slipped out onto the porch and rescued him.

“Alex, can I see you inside?”

Renee frowned then snatched Alex’s pack of cigarettes from beside him. “You don’t smoke around Brielle, but you have to qualms lighting ‘em up around me.”

He looked from his mom to his fiancée and guilt smacked him hard in the chest. “Shit, Renee, I’m …I…I wasn’t even thinking.”

“Of course not,” her eyes narrowed, “when it comes to me you don’t do that anymore.”

He winced and turned his eyes back to his mom, hoping she could read the look on his face pleading for help.

She picked up on it and nodded. “Renee, honey, I need Alex inside for a moment. I’m sorry; I’ll try not to keep him very long.”

The dark haired vixen rolled her eyes. “Keep him however long you want, I’m out of here.” Then she stood and dropped his cigarettes back into his lap.

Alex watched her head around the side of the house toward the front and sighed. What was a man to do in the situation he had gotten himself into? “Thanks, Mom,” he voiced, his somber eyes flicking back to where she was watching him with a peculiar look on her face.

“I didn’t come out here to rescue you. I came out here to ask what your problem was. I know something went down between you and Brielle and I know it’s not my business, but you need to get over whatever it is that’s pissed you off and go make amends with her. She just spent the last half hour crying her eyes out and she’s got enough going on with her parents, she doesn’t need to worry about your relationship with her on top of it.”

He blinked, caught off guard by the tone of her voice. “Is…she okay?”

“Of course she’s not okay!” The older woman’s frown grew. “Do you really expect her to be? You two have spent the last two days trying to avoid each other and you are the last person she needs to be angry with. She’s liable to go back to New York if it keeps up. Is that something you want?”

“Of course not.”

“Then go make up with her.”

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair then forced himself to his feet, pocketing his cigarettes. Alex had no idea what he was going to say to her, but he knew he needed to say something. He didn’t want her to leave, but if they didn’t fix this then she just might. What reason would she have to stay out there if they weren’t talking? “Alright.”

“Good.” Denise waited until he passed her then headed into the house behind him. “Remember that she’s alone out here, Alex; Lily left and she has no one. She really needs you right now.”

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. “I’m going to talk to her, Mom.”

“I know, son.” She patted his shoulder then pressed a damp, cool cloth into his hand. “Take this to her, please.”

Alex glanced to the washcloth then strode on through the house and to the stairs.

He found Brielle in her bedroom after a quick change of shirts, lying on her side atop the bedspread, her eyes red and swollen and her hair fanned out over the bed. “Hey,” he spoke a little hesitant, not sure if she’d even want to see him at the moment.

She turned her teary eyes his way and just watched him.

“Um,” he wet his bottom lip then held the cloth toward her, “my mom asked me to bring this to you.”

She didn’t say anything, just reached out and took the cloth then pressed it to her eyes.

Alex felt his stomach churning at that. “Are you alright?”

A shrug was her response and he shifted on his feet in an uncomfortable manner. Since when was he nervous around her? Letting a sigh escape at that thought, and feeling horrible that she was so upset, he finally sank down onto the edge of the bed, hesitant to reach out and touch her though his fingers were itching to do so. “I’m sorry, Brielle.” And he meant it.

She was quiet for a long moment, neither of them speaking, then finally lowered the cloth and used it to wipe at her cheeks before her gaze landed on him. “I feel like I’m in a never ending nightmare,” her voice was barely a whisper and he had to strain his ears to hear her.

“What makes you say that?”

“The last three years of my life.”

He pressed his lips together, mulling her situation over. “It’s not that bad, sweetheart. You have a lot of people that are here for you; Lily, my mom, me…and your parents want to be here for you too.”

She frowned at that. “No they don’t. They want something, they don’t care about me.”

“Maybe they do?”

“The same way your dad cares about you?”

He hesitated then sagged some into the bed. “Alright, maybe you’re right.

She nodded then pressed the cloth to her eyes again.

“Look, Brielle, I’m sorry for upsetting you.” His fingers reached out and grazed her hair. It was so silky and soft and he resisted the urge to splay his fingers in it. “I really am. You know the last thing I want is for you to be upset.”

She remained silent and his hand came down and smoothed over her arm. “I was just having a bad day the other night and I shouldn’t have acted the way I did toward you, please don’t stay mad at me.”

“Are you apologizing because you want to or because your mom told you to?”

He sighed. “Why are you so upset with me?”

This time she pulled the cloth away and met his gaze. “Because you kiss me, make me feel a certain way and then you turn around and tell me you’re still going to marry Renee. Do I really need to explain myself?”

A tiny grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. “You feel a certain way?”

Her response was a frown then she shifted on the bed and turned her back to him, facing the opposite wall.

“Aww, come on, babe,” he leaned over and peeked to her face, “talk to me.”

“I have nothing to say.”

“Are you jealous?”

Her eyes shifted to him and she frowned. “I’m not jealous; I feel used and unimportant; expendable even.”

“Expendable?” It was his turn to frown. “You’re definitely not expendable.”

She flopped to her back and looked up at him. “Then how come you kiss me for no reason and act the way you do, but then pretty much tell me you’re still going to marry your fiancée? I told you we couldn’t let anything happen between us and you told me not to think. I don’t understand this game you’re playing.”

“I’m not playing a game!” It came out harsher than he intended and he immediately regretted it. “I’m sorry, Brielle, I didn’t mean to snap.”

She didn’t say anything, just watched him with a look that showed how hurt and disappointed in him she was. Which was nearly as bad as her yelling. He hated how it curled his gut and made him feel sick to his stomach.

“Look,” he shifted some on the bed and took her hand into his, “sometimes I don’t understand the things I do. I’m messed up like that; I get an idea in my head and I make it happen even if it’s not the right thing to do at the time. Like kissing you; I wanted to do it and probably shouldn’t have,” the tip of his tongue darted out and wet his upper lip, “but I don’t regret it. It always seems so easy with you, Brie, and I think that scares me. I’ve never…had a girlfriend that it’s been easy with and it’s different to me. Kind of freaks me out and when I get freaked out, I tend to tuck my tail between my legs and run away.”

“But I’m not your girlfriend.”

“I know you’re not, sweetheart.” His fingers stroked the back of her hand.

She was quiet for a moment, just watching their hands. Finally, she cleared her throat softly and spoke again, “Do you love Renee?”

He felt a twist in his gut. “I used to.”

“Then why are you going to marry her?” She lifted her cloudy blue eyes to his chocolate orbs. “I know I said I didn’t want to come between you two and that I didn’t want to mess things up for you and her, but things happen that are beyond anyone’s control and if you don’t love her, why would you allow her to think you do and why on God’s green earth would you let her start planning your wedding? You’re just making it worse for everybody and you’re going to tear her poor heart to shreds.”

Alex gave a groan and took his hand back, leaning over some and resting his head into his hands. “Cuz I’m a fuck up.”

“No, you’re not.” She pushed herself up and gently tossed the damp cloth to the nightstand. Turning back to him, Brielle smoothed a hand over his back. “I think you’re just scared. You don’t want to hurt Renee, but you don’t know how to get out of it without doing so. And unfortunately, there’s no way to do that. But the longer you let it drag out, the worst it’s going to be. It’s like pulling off a band-aid, you have to just grab it and yank fast.”

He rubbed his forehead then turned to her. “I know. I don’t want to drag it out…I guess I just keep thinking that maybe she’ll turn back into the woman I fell in love with. She’s changed so much.”

“She’s not the only one that’s changed.”

He nodded some before clearing his throat. “I guess we’ve just grown apart. I never thought that would happen.” He gave a dry chuckle. “We used to have so much fun together.”

“I’m sorry, Alex.” She smoothed a hand over his head in a sympathetic manner.

“It’s alright. I’m just glad I figured it out before we had actually said ‘I do’. Then it’d be a hot mess for sure. Not that it’s not going to be considering the baby.”

Brielle had to agree. “You’ll work it out; I have faith in you.” Slowly, she shifted on the bed and swung her legs around and off the side so she was seated next to him. “And I’m sorry I let myself get so upset.”

“Hey, you don’t have to apologize to me. I was out of line in the tone I took with you. Sometimes, I can be an angry drunk.”

“Yeah, I kind of gathered that.”

He chuckled low and rubbed his face. “So, how about we move past this and try to put it behind us?”

She smiled softly. “I’d like that.”

“And we’ll do our best not to fight with each other. I know it’ll happen eventually, because you know, you can’t really avoid it, but we need to make sure we talk to one another and not let it go on and on.” His eyes met hers and he reached out, his fingers skimming the skin of her cheek. “And I’m sorry for being an ass to you.”

“It’s okay, I forgive you.”

Alex smiled. “You really are an exceptional person, you know that?”

“I’m just myself.”

“I know,” he had to force himself to pull his hand back before he did something he regretted; like kiss her again and again, “and don’t change; always be yourself. It’s refreshing.”

“I’ll make a deal with you.” She shifted her body to face his a little more. “I’ll always be myself if you’ll try not to drink so much.”

He lifted a brow. “My drinking isn’t out of control.”

“You were pretty mean to me last night.”

A sigh. “Fine, I’ll try not to drink so much.” He couldn’t believe he was agreeing to that, but how could he tell her no?

“Thank you.” She leaned up and kissed his cheek. “And thank you for coming up here and talking to me.”

Alex nodded. “It’s the least I could do, babe. You wanna go downstairs and watch a movie or something?”

“No, I think I’m gonna take a nap.” She paused then tilted her head. “You want to lay down with me?”

He knew it probably wouldn’t be a good idea, but despite that, he found himself agreeing and soon they were settled against the bed, Brielle tucked against his chest and one arm around her waist. He could smell her shampoo and tried not to let it affect him the way it was. She fell into a light sleep before too long and his mind began to wander to places it probably shouldn’t have gone. Like how she made him feel and the way her eyes would light up when he would come into the room, her laugh and how he loved to hear it, the vulnerability about her that he hoped she never lost, and the way she sounded completely jealous of Renee.

His eyes drifted to her face and he wondered if it was possible. Could she be falling for him? Someone as beautiful and wonderful as Brielle could find someone as weak and inept as him attractive? That didn’t seem possible, but the feel of her back against his chest was comforting and he liked how she fit in his arms. He began to imagine what it would be like to be with her in an intimate way again; how her skin would flush, the look of lust and need in her eyes, the way her hair would tickle his chest, the two of them rolling in the sheets making love…whoa, wait a minute, back that thought train up there. Making love? No, that couldn’t be right.

But one look at her innocent and peaceful face and Alex knew it was. When the hell had that happened?
End Notes:
Tee hee! Did anyone see that coming? All the gift ideas are awesome and if anyone has any more, lemme know. Thanks!
Chapter Twenty by summer
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the delay in posting, but I've really been swamped with work and that's cut into my writing time. But here's a brand new chp for you. Hope you enjoy. And as always, let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

“We need to talk,” Alex announced to Renee the moment she opened the door and found him standing on her porch. It had taken him all morning to gather up the courage just to drive to her house, so he knew he couldn’t beat around the bush or put it off any longer. The last thing he wanted was to chicken out, or let her convince him to change his mind.

Renee’s round eyes blinked slowly. “Alright.” She pushed the screen door open for him then turned and disappeared further into the house.

Alex followed her path and found her making herself some lunch in the kitchen. He took a seat on a bar stool across from her and watched as she spread mayo on a piece of bread before adding lettuce and tomatoes.

“You wanted to talk, so talk.” She cast her piercing eyes his way then returned to her task at hand.

He sighed and smoothed his hands over his jeans. The entire drive to her house, he’d run over and over inside his head what he was going to say; rehearsed it so well and thought it sounded reasonable and made a lot of sense. But now, sitting here, watching her as she tended to some lunch, he felt a panic start in his chest and suddenly couldn’t remember a single word of what he had intended to say. “Um…Renee…”

She looked his way once more then took a paper plate from a cabinet and set her sandwich on it, adding some potato chips. “Alex…”

“Renee, I,” he wet his bottom lip and tried to force himself to take a calming breath, “I’ve been doing some thinking.” She didn’t respond and once she was seated next to him with her lunch, he continued, “And I know that we’ve been through a lot together…” he trailed off and Renee fiddled with a potato chip.

“Why do I feel that there’s a but coming on?”

He sighed. “I’m sorry, Renee; I never meant to hurt you or make it seem like I was lying.”

“What’s the but?”

Here it comes. “I,” his voice wavered, “I can’t marry you.”

“What do you mean you ‘can’t marry me’?” She turned to him. “Is this about pushing the wedding up? Alex, you know I only want that because I would like for us to be married when our child is born.”

“No, it has nothing to do with that. Things have changed, Renee, and I just can’t…get married right now.”

A frown graced her features. “What are you talking about?”

He sighed. “What I said. I’m not in the place where I can make any kinds of promises; especially a marriage vow.”

“You don’t want to marry me?”

“I just…” his shoulders sagged and he turned his gaze away, “I can’t, I’m so sorry.”

“This is some kind of joke, right? Because I know you wouldn’t do something like this to me. You love me,” as she spoke, her voice began to grow louder.

Alex winced and turned back to face her. “Things have changed, Renee.”

“Yeah, I’m having your baby!”

“You know that’s not what I mean.” He had to remind himself to stay strong. “You’ve changed, Renee.”

Her eyes flashed at that. “Excuse me? How do you expect me to react when you bring some whore in that’s knocked up with your child?! Did you really think I’d want to be her best friend? Really, Alex, I thought you were smarter than that.”

This time it was his turn to grow angry. “See! That right there is what I’m talking about! The Renee I once knew would never have acted that way.”

“Then maybe you don’t know me.”

“Maybe I don’t.”

She frowned. “I think you’re the one that’s changed, Alex. All a sudden you’re all about Brielle and her baby. Like they’re your life and nothing else is important. You’ve left me and our child out in the cold. If I didn’t know better, I’d think you had feelings for the tramp.” She hesitated then grabbed his arm, her sandwich long ago forgotten. “You do, don’t you?”

He tried to pull his arm away, wishing he had worn his shades to hide his eyes. “She’s having my child, Renee; of course I care about her.”

“Bullshit! It’s more than that and you know it! I can’t believe this! I can’t believe that you’re dumping me for some…some homeless child!”

“Renee, this has nothing to do with Brielle!”

“Look me in the eye and fucken tell me that!”

He shook his head, the muscle in his jaw twitching. “Forget it, you won’t listen to reason.”

“You’re not talking reason. You’ve gone and fallen in love with this girl and now you’re breaking up with me.” Tears began to form in her eyes. “I can’t believe you’re doing that to me…to us…to this baby. Do you even care about our baby?”

“Of course I care about our baby.”

“No you don’t. All you want is to go play house with her.” She reached and wiped under her eyes.

Alex sighed and ran a hand over his face. “Renee, contrary to what you believe, my decision had nothing to do with Brielle. We’re not in the same place we were when I proposed and it’s not fair for me to have you think we are. You need to be able to find the person that makes you complete.”

“You make me complete.” She reached a hand for him. “Don’t do this, Alex, please.”

The tone in her voice cut through him and he could feel the guilt setting in. “Renee…”

“You don’t mean it. You love me, I know you do.” Her hand came up and smoothed over his cheek. “Don’t you remember promising that we’d love each other until the end?”

Alex studied her for a moment and when he finally spoke, his voice was soft, “This is our end.”

“No, it’s not!” She reared back and rose to her feet, tugging her shirt down over her thin waist. “I will not just let you walk out on me, Alex, on us! You’re only saying this because that bitch is probably sucking your cock.”

This has nothing to do with Brielle!” He exploded, coming to his own feet.

Instead of flinching at his tone, she met it head on and with fire in her eyes. “You’re a fucken moron if you think I can’t see right through that. It has everything to do with her! If you’d been able to keep your dick in your pants where it belongs, then you and I would be happily planning our wedding right now.”

“Heh, and end up divorced because your true colors would have finally shown through.”

“Did Brielle put you up to this? Is she making you do this?”

“No one is making me do anything.” He sighed and rubbed the spot between his eyes.

“Your mother then.”

“Renee,” he was quickly losing his patience, “I know that you don’t want to hear this, but I can’t go on like everything’s okay, when it’s not. We’re both different people and I just don’t see a future for us together.” He held up a hand when she opened her mouth to speak. “I fully intend on being there for our child and doing what I can to help you and the baby, that’s not going to change. I would never leave you out in the cold. And I don’t see how you can even think that when I’ve brought a stranger into my home because she is having my child as well.”

“Easy, you don’t love me,” she retorted with.

He frowned. “I care about you a lot.”

“Heh, just as I figured. You’ve gone and fallen in love with that whore.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.” He couldn’t deny the truth, but he wasn’t about to admit it was the truth to Renee.

“I know enough!” She glared at him and grabbed up her sandwich. “I know I want you out of my house. And if you knew what was best for you, you would leave me the hell alone. Once my dad hears about this, he’ll want to kill you.”

“Let him try, your dad doesn’t scare me, sweetheart.”

“Don’t call me sweetheart!” Suddenly her sandwich was flying through the air and smacked him squarely on the shoulder.

Alex blinked and glanced to his shirt, seeing remnants of lettuce sticking to it. Slowly, he brushed it off then brought his gaze back to hers.

Renee was seething, her hands balled into fists so tight her knuckles were white. “I should never let you see your son.”

“M…my son?”

“That’s right; your son,” she sneered it at him and held a hand to her stomach.

He frowned. “How do you know it’s a boy? Brielle is farther along than you are and it’s still too early to tell.”

Renee’s eyes flashed. “Motherly instinct, I suppose.”

“You’re not going to keep me from my child.”

“Yeah, well watch me try.”

This time, it was his turn to ball his fists tightly. “You don’t want to get on my bad side, Renee.”

“You really think I care?” She arched her brows then flung her hand toward the hallway. “Now, get out of my house.”

Alex frowned. “I’ll give you some time to calm down then I’ll be back.” He grabbed his keys up from the counter then strode past her and toward the door.

“Go to hell!” She hollered at him, following through the house to the front entrance and slamming the door hard behind him once he stepped out onto the porch.

“Bitch,” he muttered, knowing he really didn’t think she was but feeling better about it at the same time. Blowing a puff of air from his lips, he started from the porch and to his car. Well, both Brielle and his mother would be so proud of him. He, on the other hand, was starting to rethink the situation and wonder if what he had done was the right thing. He knew in the past he’d loved Renee and really thought they belonged together, and now, in a matter of weeks he had changed his mind, not only about the wedding, but about their entire relationship. Was he losing his mind? Or was he just in love with another woman? Holy hell, his head hurt.

~*~*~*~*~

“I got a job!” Brielle’s excited squeal greeted Alex the minute he walked in the door, a few hours after his talk with Renee.

He blinked as she flung herself at him and wrapped him in a tight hug. “That’s great, Brie!”

“I know! I can’t believe it! I thought for sure I wouldn’t get anything, but they called me this morning.” She giggled and did a small dance, still holding him close.

Alex chuckled and returned the hug. “And they called you pretty quick; they must have loved you.”

“I think they did. They want me to start after New Years; January 3rd at 9am.”

Carefully, he extracted himself from her embrace and smoothed his shirt. “Which job is this; the restaurant, the hotel or the studio?”

“The studio.”

Her grin was from ear to ear and he couldn’t help but match it. “That’s so great, babe.”

“Yes, it is.” She sighed happily and took his hand. “Are you hungry? Your mom made this delicious tuna salad for lunch today and I had two helpings.”

“Where’s my mom now?”

“Oh, she ran to pick up the dry cleaning. Your housekeeper had something she had to go do for her son, so your mom said it was no problem to pick it up.”

“So, we’re alone here?”

Brielle arched a brow. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“No,” he chuckled low and started for the kitchen with her, “I was just asking.”

“Good.” She strolled with him, a pep to her step and their hands still laced together.

Once in the kitchen, Brielle insisted that Alex take a seat then she fixed him a plate of the tuna salad and a large glass of iced tea. “Here you go.” Setting it down in front of him, she slipped into the chair next to his and let out a sigh. “I’m going to need work clothes. They told me I needed to dress professional; dark slacks, pencil skirts and blouses or sweaters or nice, dressy tops.”

“Okay, we’ll hit up the stores before you have to start.” He took up his fork and dug into his lunch.

Brielle smiled at that. “And I’ll pay you back.” His eyes cut her way and she giggled. “What? I have a job now, I can do that.”

“You aren’t paying me back until you’re financially stable and even then I may not let you.”

“I’ll start sticking money in random places in your house.”

He pointed his fork at her. “Now that you said that, I will remember this conversation and if any turns up, you’ll find it right back in your wallet.”

She chuckled. “Alright, alright; but I will pay you back one day.”

“Maybe.” He winked her way then took another bite of his food.

They were both quiet for a moment, and Brielle rose from her seat and poured herself a glass of iced water. She rejoined Alex at the table and studied him a moment. “Are you okay?”

He looked over and met her eyes. Giving a nod, he wiped his mouth with a napkin then set it on the table next to his plate. “Yeah, I’m alright. How ‘bout you? How are you feeling?”

A shrug. “Okay, I guess.” She blinked. “Oh, your mom told me I should do a Lamaze class.”

“Oh, yeah, that might be a good idea.”

She nodded. “I looked it up online earlier and they don’t usually start till you’re about 25 or 26 weeks, and you need a partner.” She paused and sent him an adorable, little grin. “So, I was wondering…if you might like to be my partner when it’s time.”

Alex paused with a forkful of tuna salad halfway to his mouth. He lowered it back to the plate and a grin inched up the corner of his lips. “You want to do Lamaze together?”

“I do; after all, you are the father and you need to know the stuff too.”

“You want me in the room with you when you give birth?”

She blinked. “Oh, I hadn’t thought about that, but it’s more than giving birth. They teach you how to take care of the baby and diaper them and swaddle them and all kinds of stuff.”

Alex relaxed some. He wasn’t so sure how he felt about being right there, in on all the action, when the baby arrived. In reality, he hadn’t considered the idea either, but being asked to attend Lamaze with Brielle had put it into his head. And birth was a beautiful thing, but he didn’t know how well he’d handle all that…erm, beauty. Besides, he didn’t want her screeching at him that he was a no good, good for nothing, slimeball bastard who didn’t know how to keep his hands to himself.

“So, will you come?”

He blinked out of his thoughts and looked at her. Even if he didn’t want to go, he knew he couldn’t deny her; he never could. “Of course I’ll go.”

“Great.”

Her smile made his heart melt and he didn’t realize he was staring until his cell phone gave a shrill ring and pulled him away from her. Taking it from his pocket, and half expecting it to be Renee, he made a face at the screen. “Shit.”

Brielle peered to the phone. “Uh oh, what’s that face for?”

“It’s my publicist.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

He chuckled low and rubbed his jaw. “She’s calling me about the whole baby thing, I’m sure. I’ve been avoiding her calls since the rumors started.”

“Oh, well that might not be a good idea. Don’t you want your publicist to know what’s going on so she can field the questions? Aren’t they hired to handle that kind of stuff?”

“Yeah.” He studied the phone then made a face and finally lifted it to his ear, just before his voicemail would have cut on. “Hello?”

“Why the hell are you avoiding my phone calls? Do you know how many messages I have left for you?” Whitley Preston’s angry voice greeted him.

Alex winced some, knowing his publicist was not a force to reckon with when she got angry. “I’ve been busy, Whit. You know I’ve been meaning to call you back. You’re still my girl.” He winked over at Brielle and she giggled low.

Whitley sighed. “Now is not the time to flirt with me,” but the tone in her voice told him she didn’t mind it. “We have a possible media catastrophe waiting to explode and you ignore my phone calls. If you hadn’t answered this time, I woulda just made my own story up and you’d have had to live with it.”

“I’m sorry; we’re talking now, so let’s figure it out.”

“Oh, how considerate of you,” she replied dryly and he could hear a rustling of papers. “Alright, who is this chick you’ve been spotted out and about with?”

Alex glanced over to Brielle. “Um, her name is Brielle Madison.”

“Is that the blonde or the brunette one?”

“The blonde.”

“Who’s the brunette?”

“Her friend, Lily Hunt.”

Whitley sighed and he could just imagine her leaning back in her seat, taking her glasses from her face and rubbing the bridge of her nose. That always got to him; when a woman slowly took her glasses off and let her hair down. It was a simple act, yet could entice him to the point of arousal. He wasn’t sure why it was such a turn on for him, but Renee had used it to the best of her ability, even going so far as to purchase some attitude glasses and wearing her hair up as often as she could. Whitley, however, had managed to escape his affections, which was very good because she made a habit of taking her glasses off and sliding them back on nearly as often as she blinked.

Not that the forty-something, married, mother of two wasn’t attractive. She had long, raven colored hair that always seemed to fall around her shoulders just right and large almond shaped eyes that looked like two pools of milk chocolate. Not to mention, the tattoos that decorated her shoulder blade, hip bone and ankle. He knew brunettes with tattoos was a weakness of his, but Whitley had made it clear that there would be nothing but a professional relationship between the two, so he could wipe whatever dirty thoughts he had right clear out of his mind.

However, that conversation had only come after he’d tried to hit on her. Of course, in his defense, he’d been drunk and young and stupid. It had been before he’d even gone into rehab. That’s how long Whitley had been around and she had reassured him numerous times that she had no intentions of going anywhere. And why would she? He always had something good for her to have to work on. And this new one was a doozy.

“So, what’s going on here, Alex?”

He sank back in his chair and let his fork drop to the plate. “Brielle’s pregnant.”

“So the rumors are true.”

“Very.”

“And?”

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. “And…it’s mine.”

“See, that wasn’t so bad, was it? And now, it’s time to decide what you want to do publicly.”

Alex’s eyes shifted over to Brielle who sat watching him with a sweet expression; one that told him she had no idea what she was getting into. “Nothing, I don’t want to do a damn thing. I don’t want them following me, harassing me or Brielle or anyone else I’m associated with. I don’t want magazines or television shows calling me.”

“Sounds like you need to go far, far away for awhile then.”

“I wish I could.” He shook his head some. “But I know that’s not a real possibility. I just…want to make this as easy as possible for Brielle. They can come after me, but I don’t want them trying to get to her.”

“Do you want to release a statement? It might help calm things down. They won’t track you like their prey in hopes of getting the proof they need. Then you’d really only have to deal with the interview requests, which I can happily field for you, and the paps that happen to catch you out somewhere. A lot of celebrities manage to hide and evade from the media during their pregnancies.”

Alex sighed and mulled it over. “I could do that…but there’s just one more thing…”

Whitley paused, and when she spoke again there was a note in her voice, as if she knew this next thing was going to be a real shocker, “What’s that?”

His eyes met Brielle’s and she smiled then reached over and squeezed his hand. “Um…well,” he chuckled low, “this is kind of funny, you might say…”

“Alex…”

He knew that was her ‘quit messing around’ tone. “Renee is pregnant too.”

“I see.”

“And…we broke up; earlier today in fact.”

Brielle’s eyes widened at that, but she remained quiet.

“Well, you are quickly becoming a PR’s nightmare. Let me get this straight; you got Brielle pregnant…before or after you became engaged?”

“Before.”

“Okay, so you got Brielle pregnant, became engaged to Renee…got Renee pregnant then broke up with her. You like to make me work for my paycheck, don’t you?”

“You think I’m happy about all this?”

Whitley chuckled. “You know I’m not being serious, Alex, so calm down. It’s going to be okay. I can handle this.”

He rubbed his head. “So, what do we do?”

“Well, you’re going to put out a statement telling people what’s going on. We’ll keep it simple and I’ll handle the interview requests. You don’t want to do any, correct?”

And he was suddenly very grateful he had a damn good publicist, most would have run off screaming after having to deal with all the shit he’d tossed her way. “Not right now, I have a feeling Renee is going to be a handful, so I may have to do some down the road a ways, but for now, I’d rather not.”

“Got it. And we’ll handle Renee. Now, what do you want to let the public know?”

“Um, I guess we can tell them that yes, I am expecting a child with someone. Maybe we just don’t say anything about Renee yet. I told her I’d go see her again once she’s calmed down. So maybe we wait on that.” His eyes darted over to the blonde and he sent her a tiny grin, hoping she wasn’t upset about what had happened between him and Renee. The last thing he wanted was her blaming herself, yet again.

“Keep it anon?”

“Yeah, I think that’s best right now.”

“How are you going to handle your Twitter and Facebook?”

Alex lifted his brows. That thought hadn’t even crossed his mind. “Let’s hope no one calls me out on it. Maybe I can ignore them.”

“We could have one of the staff take control of it for awhile. Or at least monitor it.”

“That’d be great; the monitoring part. I’d like to still post and what not.”

“Of course.”

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, feeling a slight kink there caused by all the stress. “Is that it?”

“Hmm,” he knew she was surveying her notes, “I think that’s good for now. I’ll write up a statement and send it to you for approval before releasing it. And if anything else comes up, I’ll call you. If not, then we’ll get back in touch in a few days. This time, you better answer your damn phone the first time I call.”

“You got it, Whitley,” he chuckled low, “thank you and I’m sorry.”

“I’ll let it go this time, McLean. Don’t let it happen again and if you need anything or something happens, call me. I don’t want to have to see it on Blurb first.”

“You got it.” He apologized again then finally severed the call. Sighing heavily, he set the phone onto the table and took in the sight of the tuna salad heaped on his plate. He didn’t have an appetite anymore; instead he had a thirst for some Jack Daniels.

After leaving Renee’s, he’d just driven around for awhile before ending up outside the same shitty bar he had been the other night; just sitting in the parking lot staring into the grimy windows and trying to work himself up to climbing from the car and going into the building. But he hadn’t, and for that, a slight sense of pride had seeped into him. The first time since all this shit had fallen into his lap that he had been able to turn the urge down.

Alex wasn’t sure which reason it was. Fear of the bartender recognizing him and refusing service had been part of it, but Brielle’s words from their disagreement had kept ringing in his ears and he had been more afraid of going home wasted and the blonde finding out. Upsetting her was the last thing he wanted to do at the moment. One pregnant woman already hated him; he didn’t want another to as well.

But at that moment, the craving for the strong liquid that always soothed him was so strong he could feel his hands start to shake. Shoving them into his lap and pressing them between his knees, he willed his mind to think about something, anything other than the one thing he most wanted, needed, at that moment.

“Are you alright?”

Bringing his eyes up from the table, he was met with her clear, blue ones. They looked so concerned and empathy spilled from them like water flowing over a dam. Pity was the last thing Alex wanted at the moment. “I’m good.”

She blinked at the slight tone in his voice. “I was just asking. I’m sorry.”

Quickly, he shook his head, guilt flooding into his stomach. He had never been good at controlling his attitude when he was jonesing that strongly for a drink. “No, no, you’re okay. I’m the one who’s sorry. I just…feel on edge at the moment.”

“Oh.” She pursed her lips. “Is this about Renee?”

“Just because I’m on edge, you think it’s about Renee?”

A frown line creased her forehead. “No, I think it’s about Renee because of what I heard you tell your publicist.”

“Heh.” Shit, what was his problem? Rubbing his face with both hands, he tried to take a calming breath. “I’m sorry.”

“You’ve been saying that a lot lately.”

His eyes met hers. “That’s cuz I am.”

She didn’t respond, instead she took up her glass and rose from her spot.

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere I don’t get snapped at for breathing, or asking simple questions.”

Alex frowned at that and shoved his plate away from him hard, it crashed off the other side of the table sending shards of ceramic and tuna flying in all directions. Brielle jumped and let out a squeak, but he ignored her and rose from his own chair, brushing past her and grabbing up the keys he’d dropped on the counter when he’d entered the kitchen.

“Where are you going?”

“Not that it’s any of your business,” he began, trying to ignore the condescending tone he’d picked up in her voice. Hell, he might as well just come out with it. Fuck what she thought or what anyone else thought. He’d do what he wanted when he wanted and no one was going to tell him he couldn’t. “I’m gonna go drink, maybe even until I pass out and can’t remember this day.”

She hesitated and he wondered if she was trying to decide which direction to take this.

“If your mom asks where you are, I’m going to tell her you said that.”

Fuck! Try as he might, he couldn’t let himself not care about that. That was the one little thing that always held him back. What Alex really wanted to respond with was something like ‘Be my guest, I don’t give a flyin’ fuck.’ But the words seemed caught in his throat. Instead, he did something that surprised even himself.

“Get your shoes.”

Brielle’s eyes widened. “What?”

“I said, get your shoes.”

“Why?”

“Because, you’re coming with me. Now get your damn shoes before I put you into my car without them. I’m not above doing it, so don’t try me.”

Her wide, blue eyes blinked slowly as she processed his words, attitude and the hell bent expression on his face that said he was going to get what he wanted rather she liked it or not. Finally, her shoulders sagged and she set her water glass on the counter. “Okay.” The way he sounded right now, she was not about to argue. Something told her it wouldn’t end well and sometimes it was better to just go with the flow and sort everything out later.

Alex didn’t respond, just waited while she tugged on her tennis shoes and slipped her cross body handbag around her body.

Finally, she moved back over to him.

“Ready?”

Brielle glanced toward the mess of tuna salad and broken dinner plate that still lay on the floor. “What about the mess?”

“It’ll be there when we get back. Let’s go.” Then he took her arm and led her from the room.
Chapter Twenty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
Enjoy :)

Brielle didn’t say a word as Alex drove through the streets of the Hollywood Hills and away from his home. His hands gripped the steering wheel tight in hopes of stopping the tremors and the thirst in his mouth had quickly morphed into one that was making his mouth water at just the thought of the longed for alcohol. If he thought reason, he knew he couldn’t take Brielle and go get stone pissed drunk, but he wasn’t thinking reason at the moment. He had his mind set on one thing, and that was Jack Daniels. So the blonde beside him was just going to have to deal with it.

“Where are we going?” She questioned, after he’d pulled out onto the main highway.

“I told you; I’m going to get wasted.”

She gawked at him. “You’re taking me with you while you go get drunk?”

Alex shrugged one shoulder, his eyes never leaving the road ahead of him. “I’d planned to.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“Wanna bet?” His eyes cut her way then back to the front windshield. That was one lesson his friends and family had learned a long time ago; never tell him he couldn’t do something. She still had a way to go, but she’d come to understand it eventually.

Brielle sighed and fiddled with her purse. “What about our deal?”

He didn’t want to think about their deal at the moment. “I said try not to drink as much, not that I never would.”

She frowned and slouched in the seat, obviously defeated.

Alex smirked inwardly and turned left at an intersection. He knew he was being an ass, but he didn’t really care. That was something he had learned about himself while in rehab and through AA; when he was drinking, sometimes he was a bastard and did things he would later regret. But at the time, he could care less what the repercussions were. Later, well that was a completely different story.

Brielle bit the inside of her cheek and stared straight ahead out the window. She couldn’t decide if she was angry, disappointed or hurt. Maybe it was mixture of all three. Currently, she wanted to hurl herself across the gearstick and smack him with her handbag until he apologized and turned the vehicle around. At the same time, she wanted to climb from the vehicle and go back to the house, leaving him to his own devices, which told her, would not be a good idea.

The part of her brain that was thinking clearly at the moment, was trying to tell her to talk him down, use her words instead of her handbag and maybe she could make him realize that this was not a good idea. She had a sinking feeling that nothing good would come from this and they’d end up in some serious trouble or he’d be passed out drunk and she’d have to drag his body back to the SUV. There was no way in hell she’d be able to do that.

Watching him from the corner of her eye, she racked her brain for any kind of idea that might at least slow him down. “Are we going to a bar?”

“That’s where you go to get drunk.”

“You know, I don’t really appreciate your tone of voice. I haven’t done anything wrong to deserve your shitty attitude.” She hadn’t meant to say that, but it had slipped out before she could contain herself. But once it was out there, Brielle didn’t want to take it back. Let him know what an asshole he was being.

Instead of snapping back at her like he wanted, Alex gripped the steering wheel tighter and glanced her way. One look at the stony expression on her face that was trying to hide the fear in her eyes and he felt himself crumbling. What the hell had he been thinking? Cursing under his breath, he guided the SUV to the side of the road and put it into park.

Brielle remained silent and he chewed his bottom lip. After a long, drawn out, moment, he shifted in his seat and faced her. “I’m sorry.”

“There we go with the apologies again.”

He frowned. “What do you want me to say? Not apologize?”

“I want to know what’s going on with you. I haven’t done anything and you’re flying off the handle at me.”

Alex sighed and rubbed his jaw. “Look, I know I was out of line, and I’m trying to make amends here.”

Her blue eyes looked so sad. “I think you need to make amends with yourself first.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

She shrugged. “If you’re getting drunk so you can forget everything that’s going on, then it sounds like you have some issues you need to work through. Drinking doesn’t solve your problems.”

“I never said it did.” He frowned. “It just helps me cope with them better.”

“That’s not a good way to do that.”

“What do you suggest I do?”

Brielle tilted her head. “I don’t know; you could write, or go work out, or play your music loud, yell or hit a pillow. Anything to help get the stress out that doesn’t involve getting yourself drunk.”

Alex sighed and faced forward in his seat again, his head leaning against the headrest. “It’s not the same. The alcohol calms me and I can deal with all the shit again.”

“Well,” she drew up a shoulder, “now that um…you and Renee aren’t together anymore, maybe that will cut down on your stress.”

“Heh, yeah right. She is gonna hold this baby over my head until the day I die. And it’s only going to get worse, because we’ll be in court fighting tooth and nail for a custody agreement.” He winced as he thought over all the ammunition Renee had she could use against him. Luckily, she wouldn’t be the only one holding a trump card.

“I’m sorry, Alex.” Brielle reached over and took his hand, giving it a warm squeeze. “But you know alcohol isn’t going to make any of that better.”

“It makes me feel better.”

She didn’t have a response for that. Turning her attention to the window, she watched a bug that flittered around the glass.

Alex sighed and rubbed his neck. “I just want a drink.”

“Sounds more like you need a drink.”

He frowned. “I don’t need to drink; I choose to drink.”

Then choose not to, because from the way it sounds and the way you’re acting, I’d say you need to drink more than you want to.”

“Are you trying to be my therapist?”

Brielle blinked at that then a scowl quickly graced her face. “Don’t you dare get an attitude with me. You’re the one that’s got the stick up their ass and I’m beginning to realize just how stubborn you are. If you want to go drink yourself into an early grave then be my guest, but I am not going with you. And I will tell your mother if she asks, because I’m not going to lie like you do.”

His eyes flashed at her. Never before had a woman stood up to him like this; not even his own girlfriends would behave this way. If Alex wanted to go drink, he’d go drink. And if he wanted them to mislead his mother, they’d mislead his mother. But here, this young female that’d come into his life just a couple weeks earlier was putting her foot down and telling him how it was going to be.

It infuriated him, yet there was a small sliver inside that found him liking it. No one but his mother or the guys talked to him that way, when they had to, and while he may bitch and moan about it, it showed they cared and deep down, he found comfort in it.

“Alright,” he finally relented. “You win, I won’t go get smashed.”

“You mean that?”

“Yes, yes, I mean that. Lord knows I want to, but I won’t.”

She smiled and his heart melted. “Thank you. We can do something else if you’d like; something that might help keep your mind off all the drama.”

Alex wasn’t sure what else would take away the craving that was making him feel on edge, but he’d give anything a shot at that moment. “Do you have something in mind?”

Brielle tilted her head a moment. “I have an idea.” She smiled. “And I think you’re going to like it.”

~*~*~*~*~

“I can’t remember the last time I did this.”

“Me either, but I used to love it.”

Alex chuckled. “I don’t know how good I’ll be.”

“Oh, that’s alright, you’ll catch on soon enough.”

“I don’t even know if I’ll be able to keep it up.”

Brielle laughed at that. “Aww, do you want some help?”

“No, no, I think I can do this. You might need to grab it and hold it for me for a minute.”

“I can do that. You just have to remember not to stop; once you get going, you gotta keep going.”

“And going and going.” He smirked and wiggled his brows at her. “You know, this conversation sounds very dirty.”

The blonde blinked, thought back over on the exchange between them and blushed slightly. “Hush, it’s not.”

He chuckled. “Ooh, you’re blushing.”

“Hush.” She nudged him with her arm. “Anyway, you got it okay?”

Alex nodded. “I believe so.”

“Good.” Brielle took a step back from him. “Let’s see what you got.”

“I don’t know if you could handle what I got.”

The way he sounded and the look in his eyes made her blush again. “Shh, are you gonna do this or not?”

“Alright, I’m doing this.” He chuckled then rolled his shoulders and grew serious again. It’d been a long, long time since he’d flown a kite, but it was simple enough. Children did it all the time. The only thing he found himself worried about was letting it go and watching as it floated off down the beach. Then they’d be out their deposit and have to pay for the runaway kite.

After their conversation in the SUV, Brielle had instructed the tattooed man to find them a kite rental shop and a quiet place that wouldn’t be too crowded so they could have room and not worry about trampling over anyone. So they’d ended up at the boardwalk where they had rented two kites then strolled down the beach until the crowd thinned.

Brielle’s kite was the rectangular shape with a long yellow tail and black with yellow splashes on it and his own was deep red with a black dragon and a black tail that split into two. It hadn’t cost much to rent them, but there had been a security deposit in case the kites were lost or someone decided they wanted it for their own.

“Okay, ready?” He looked over to the blonde to see her watching him, the breeze blowing a few strands of hair in her face, but she didn’t bother to brush it away. Her kite was clutched in one hand, the handle with the long string wrapped tightly around it in her other. She looked peaceful and content and he smiled at that.

This had been a good idea; he had to hand it to her on that one. He was already starting to feel himself relaxing some; though he wasn’t sure if it was due to the beach and the kite flying or just being around Brielle. She always seemed to have that effect on him. Things had been a little heated earlier, but that edge was starting to fall away and he knew he was going to have to apologize to her, yet again, for his behavior. He only hoped she accepted and didn’t feel like it was ‘another apology’.

“You gonna fly that thing, or what?”

He chuckled and tried to clear his mind. “I’m getting there, hold your horses.” Then slowly, he began to unravel the string from the reel until he had enough between him and the kite. “You ready to see how it’s done?”

“Oh, please, what was it you were saying earlier? You don’t know how good you’ll be or if you can keep it in the air?”

He smirked. “Watch and be amazed.” Then he took hold of the string with one hand and started a run down the beach, the kite trailing and bouncing along in the sand.

Brielle watched him go and laughed with delight. “Go, Alex! You can do it!”

He knew he could. Glancing back to the kite, he gave it a tug, jogging along and lifting his arms some so it would lift up and catch some wind. It didn’t take long for the kite to sail up into the air, but it was only for a mere second and it was back on the sand. “Damn.”

“Ooh, that sucks.” The blonde started his way. “You almost had it. But I have yet to be amazed.”

“You just wait.” He straightened it back out then took off again, letting more string unravel and suddenly it was off and up into the air, the wind guiding it up with force. “Whoa!” He caught the string and hooked the bar over so it wouldn’t continue to come loose. “There, ha! Are you amazed now?”

“Very amazed.” She smiled and reached his side. “That looks pretty good.”

“Not so bad, if I do say so myself.”

Brielle squeezed his bicep. “Not at all. Okay, my turn.” She began to let out some of the string. “Let’s make sure we keep ‘em apart so they don’t crash or get tangled.”

“You better move away some. I’m pretty wild and there’s no telling where mine might end up.”

“Oh yeah? If your kite flying is anything like you’re driving then I know we’re in trouble.”

Alex chuckled then blinked. “Heeey.”

She smirked and held the kite up above her head, giving a slow jog down the sand some to help with the lift. It didn’t take long before hers was up as high as Alex’s and she carefully maneuvered herself back toward him. “How’s that?”

“Looks good.”

Brielle smiled. “Kite flying is relaxing in a way.”

“You think so?” He glanced her way. “I don’t know if I’d say relaxing; you gotta make sure you can control it, that it doesn’t dip down or fall …hit someone in the head; that’d be horrible, or rip from your hands and fly away.”

“Do you always think about the negative?”

He shrugged. “I’m just being realistic.”

She nodded some and they fell silent, both lost in their own thoughts and working on maintaining the distance up the kites had climbed.

After a moment, Brielle glanced his way. “For what it’s worth, I think you’re doing a pretty good job.”

“Hm?” He looked to her, reeling the kite in a little bit as the wind picked up.

She shrugged a shoulder. “Handling Renee and all her drama …and me and all mine. The drinking isn’t a good idea, but you have a lot going on and it’s understandable.”

Alex didn’t respond right away. If she only knew the truth he had a feeling she wouldn’t find it understandable whatsoever. “Well, thank you,” he finally forced out around the lump in his throat.

She brushed some hair from her face with the back of her hand. “You’re welcome.”

“It’s hard, you know.”

“I imagine so.”

He nodded some and kept his eyes trained on the kite. “Sometimes I don’t really know how to handle it.”

“Which is why you drink.”

“I guess you could say that.” He sighed and reeled the kite in a bit more to keep it stable. “I like to forget all the shit sometimes.”

“There isn’t anything else you could do that would help?”

“Other than getting wasted, high or laid, not really.”

Brielle blinked and chuckled low. “Those are your vices, huh?”

“I’m sorry, I don’t need to be telling you all this.”

“No, it’s okay. I like that you feel you can talk to me.”

He looked her way. “Thank you for talking me out of my craving.”

Their eyes met and she felt a twinge in her tummy. “I’m just glad you listened to me.”

“I think you’re one of the few that I do listen to; and I don’t know why. You’re just so easy to be around and talk to. And I really like that.”

“Well, I’m glad I could help.”

Alex smiled and turned his attention back to his task at hand. They were quiet for another moment and he enjoyed the sounds of the waves washing ashore and the seagulls crying overhead.

“What do you think I should do about my parents?”

He looked her way at that. “Well, have you figured out what it is they want?”

“I have no clue. I haven’t talked to them since the other day, but I know they’re still around. And I don’t think they plan on leaving until they get what they want.” She let out a little more string and the wind rose her kite high, billowing the tail about.

“You think it has to do with the baby?”

She shrugged. “I think it has more to do with you having money, but I can’t be sure. They should be smart enough to think that there’s no way they could get any kind of anything out of you. So then I think, well what is it that they want? They can’t want me back into their lives.”

“Why not?”

“Because they can’t. They didn’t care three years ago when I walked out of their lives, why the sudden change of mind?”

“I wish I knew the answer to that, babe. But I’m in the same boat as you.”

She turned her worrisome blue eyes his way again. “You are?”

“Yeah.” He nodded some and gently tugged his dragon kite away from Brielle’s. It had gotten dangerously close and he didn’t want the strings to cross. “My dad walked out on me when I was four. I didn’t see him again until I was 18 and it was only because he wanted a piece of my fame and money.”

Brielle just stared at him. “Seriously?”

“As a heart attack.”

“Wow,” her eyes darted to her kite then back to him, “what did you do?”

He shrugged. “Walked out of his life. It was awhile before he tried contacting me again; and it was for money. He has never once tried to come into my life with good intentions. And now,” he sighed softly, “he doesn’t even bother to try.”

“I’m so sorry, Alex.” She wanted to reach over and hug him, but didn’t have the extra hands to do so. “I had no idea. Who…were you talking to your mom about? You were saying dad.”

“Oh, that’s Tony; he’s my mom’s husband and I refer to him as my dad. I wish he was. He’s more of a dad to me than my real father.” A frown line creased his forehead. “Sometimes I wish I could change my last name from McLean to Solis.”

“You hate your real father that much?”

He sighed. “No, I don’t hate him; I just don’t understand why he wants nothing to do with me. He wants everything to do with my money and fame, but it’s like he hates me.” His cloudy eyes met hers and she hated the pain in them. “How do you hate your own child? I wasn’t some once night stand or a mistake; my parents were married and wanted a family.”

“I don’t know,” she responded with. “I’ve never understood that.”

“Me either.” He cleared his throat and focused on the kite again. “That’s one of the reasons I wanted you out here so badly; I don’t want to be like my father.”

“I don’t know your father, but I doubt you’re anything like him.”

That made him smile. “Thank you.”

She watched her kite as it flittered in the wind, the tail waving wildly about. “Would you make amends with your dad if he came to you and truly wanted to be in your life again?”

Alex blew a puff of air out his lips at that question. “It would take me a long time to really believe he wasn’t after something else. But,” and he couldn’t believe he was going to say this, “if he proved himself, I would. I don’t know about trusting him, but I’d try to make amends.”

“Should I make amends with my parents?”

“You’re in a whole different situation, babe. Your parents were there for you all throughout your childhood and teenage years.”

“And yet, they so easily kicked me to the curb and wanted nothing to do with me again.” Her shoulders drooped and her chin quivered. “They suddenly want back in my life and expect me to just…forgive and forget. It doesn’t work that way.”

“I know it doesn’t, baby.” He looped the string around the bar again then crouched and stuck the handle into the sand, using a rock nearby to help hold it in place. Knowing his luck, it’d probably get yanked out and they’d have to chase it down the beach, but at the moment, he didn’t care.

Once he was sure it wasn’t going anywhere, he stood again then moved to the blonde and wrapped her in his arms. She turned into his chest and allowed herself to be held close, the handle of the kite trapped between their bodies as it continued to flutter about in the sky. “I know it’s tough, sweetheart,” he soothed, smoothing a hand over her back.

She mumbled something against his chest and her blonde head nodded.

“You don’t have to forgive and forget. You don’t have to have anything to do with them. And you shouldn’t let yourself feel guilty about that. They’re your parents, but what they did was wrong and an apology does not make it better.”

“It really doesn’t.” She lifted her head and her teary eyes met his expressive ones. “I just don’t think I can handle them being here and wanting to be involved, right now.”

He brushed some hair from her cheek. “Then we’ll tell them to leave. And if you want to see them, we’ll tell ‘em that you’ll call and let them know.”

“That sounds good.” Her eyes studied his expression. “Will you tell them that?”

He smiled and touched her cheek. “Anything for you.”

Brielle grinned and rested her head against his chest again. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He pressed a kiss to the top of her head and hugged her for another moment, before slowly pulling back. “As much as I would love to stand here and just hug you, I don’t know how secure my kite is and I’d hate to have to chase it down the beach.”

The blonde chuckled. “I almost want to see that. It’d be like something out of a movie, I think.”

He laughed and quickly gathered up the kite spool. “You say that now, but you need to remember, I’m your ride home.”

“Ooh, I’m so scared.” She smirked at him then waited until he had control of the kite again. “Now, let’s see who can get these puppies higher.”

~*~*~*~*~

“I had fun today,” Brielle remarked a few hours later. They were back in Alex’s vehicle heading for his home. The two had spent another hour, or so, on the beach with the kites before finally turning them back in and heading for a cozy, seaside restaurant for some dinner.

It had been a nice afternoon for Alex as well. It sure beat wasting the day drinking. And he did indeed feel better about his situation. He just couldn’t let himself think about Renee and all her shit. So he tried not to, and had found himself enjoying his time with the blonde.

“I did too,” he relented as he turned onto his road and slowed some when he spotted some children playing on the sidewalk.

She smiled. “We’ll have to do it again soon.”

“Next time I crave a drink.”

Brielle wet her bottom lip. “Have you…ever considered talking to someone?”

Alex’s eyes darted her way. “About my drinking?” When she nodded, he sighed and flexed his hands on the steering wheel. He didn’t want to lie to her, but he wasn’t ready for her to know the truth. “I’ll think about it.”

“That’s all I ask.” The grin on her face showed that she was content with the reply.

He reached and squeezed her hand. “Your parents left a number for you to contact them with, right?”

“They did.”

“Okay, then I’ll call them tonight and ask them to go back to Virginia. When you’re ready to talk, you’ll call.”

Both her hands grasped his. “Thank you.”

“You’re more than welcome.” He smiled at her and slowed to turn into his drive. Taking back his hand, he reached for the remote that would open the gates, when something from the corner of his eye caught his attention.

Slowing a bit more, he noticed the dark colored sedan that was parked against the curb right in front of his house. And as the SUV made the turn into the driveway, just before the large, wrought iron gates, the door of the sedan opened and a figure stepped out.

He frowned at not recognizing the tall, sandy-blond haired man, but his passenger gasped and he looked to her. “You know him?”

Her face had paled considerably and her eyes were wide with shock and surprise. Wordlessly, she nodded her head then slid down in the seat.

Alex watched as he shut the sedan door and looked toward the SUV. “Who is that?”

But Brielle didn’t answer him. Instead, she hit at his arm and motioned toward the street. “Drive!”

He blinked. “What? Who is that guy?”

“Just drive, please,” she pleaded, trying to keep herself low and out of view.

The tone of her voice and the look in her eyes told him he needed to listen to her. “Alright.” He shifted the vehicle into reverse then backed out of the drive and into the road. Shifting gears once more, he glanced into the rearview mirror to see the visitor frowning and motioning to them. “He seems to want our attention.”

Brielle slouched lower in her seat. “I don’t care, just go.”

“Alright, I’m going.” He glanced into the rearview once more then pressed down on the accelerator and the SUV sped back down the road.
End Notes:
You can follow me at http://twitter.com/HeavenlyTales if you'd like to know when I update, or read other ramblings inside my head. :)
Chapter Twenty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all your wonderful reviews and words of encouragement. They really do motivate and help me get the chps done faster for you. I want to give a special thanks to AJBrianFan for pimping my fics out lol. Hope everyone enjoys this one. :)

“Who was that?” Alex finally asked again once they were out of sight of his house and the stranger.

Brielle sighed and rubbed her forehead then peeked into the side view mirror. “Is he following us?”

Alex checked behind them. “No, you’re safe. Who the fuck was that?”

“Shit,” she sighed and finally righted herself in the seat, “I feel like I’m in a really bad version of This Is Your Life. You know, that little skit from Sesame Street.”

He chuckled at that. “What’s going on? Who was that?”

“Ugh, that was my ex; Eric Talbot. I never thought I would see him again.”

“Your ex?”

“Yes,” she frowned and adjusted her seatbelt, “I can’t believe he’s here. What is he doing here?”

“Is he an ex from New York?”

“No, he’s my last boyfriend. We broke up when I moved to New York.”

Alex blinked some. “So, he’s from Virginia?”

“Yeah, we dated for three years, but went our separate ways after graduation because I wanted to go to New York and he wanted to go to Vanderbilt.”

“And now he’s here in California.”

“Yes, and I have a sneaky suspicion it has something to do with my parents.” Her face became stony.

Alex studied her then looked back to the road. “Your parents called your ex to come out here?”

“Who else would it be? He doesn’t know where I am and what a coincidence that both my parents and my ex show up within a few days of each other.”

“Why would they call him?”

Brielle shrugged. “Maybe they think he’ll be able to convince me to make up with them.”

“Boy, your parents sure seem desperate.”

She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. “I’m sorry I freaked out like that; he was just the last person I was expecting to see and it just kind of…freaked me out.”

“Hey, it’s okay,” Alex looked her way, “I understand.”

“Good, thank you.”

He smiled and reached over, lacing their fingers together. “The question now is…what do we do? We can’t just drive around all day and who knows how long he’s going to sit there.”

Brielle frowned then chuckled. “He’s probably thinking ‘what the eff’.”

“He’s got to know you recognized him.”

“I’m hoping he didn’t see me. We can always pretend like you forgot something.”

Alex laughed low. “How ‘bout I call my mom and see if she’s home, see if he buzzed her from the gate.” When Brielle nodded, Alex slipped his blue tooth on and instructed his phone to dial his mother.

“Hello?” Denise picked up after a few rings.

“Hey, Mom.” Alex glanced over to Brielle then back to the road.

“Alex, honey, are you alright? Is Brielle okay?”

“Yeah, we’re fine, Mom. We just wanted to get out of the house for a bit.”

“So Brielle is with you?”

“Of course she is.” He nodded and shifted his eyes to his companion. “What’s going on?”

“I was just worried, is all. I come home to find tuna salad and broken dinner plate splattered all over the floor and both of you are gone.”

Alex winced some. “Oh, I’m sorry about the mess, we were gonna clean it up soon as we got back.”

“Well, I already did that. I was worried something had happened to Brielle or the baby and you two had to rush off.”

“No, we’re both okay. We just went to the beach and then had dinner.”

Denise sighed. “Good.” A pause. “Oh! There was a gentleman earlier that buzzed at the gate. He was asking to speak with Brielle.”

And there it was. He looked to Brielle. “Did he say who he was?”

“Um, Eric somebody...I can’t remember his last name. But he said he was a friend from back in the day. I told him that she wasn’t available at the moment and he said he’d wait. After what happened with her parents, I didn’t want to just let him into the house.”

“No, you did the right thing,” her son agreed. “We’re actually on our way home right now.”

“Oh good. I think he’s waiting outside the gate. He seemed rather intent on seeing Brielle; which worries me slightly.”

“It does sound a bit fishy, but we’ll be home and find out what he wants. Thanks, Mom.”

“You’re welcome, son. I’ll see you both in a bit.”

He nodded and said his goodbyes then pulled the blue tooth from his ear and dropped it in the console between the two seats. “She said he was at the house looking for you and when you weren’t there, he told my mom he’d wait. She said he was intent on seeing you.”

Brielle made a face. “Great, I bet he’s gonna try to convince me to make up with my parents.”

“Why would they ask him to help them?”

“I have no idea; maybe they think he’ll have a better chance of getting through to me or making me see it from their point of view.”

Alex frowned. “You really think he’d go along with that?”

She shrugged and rubbed her forehead. “I don’t know, but I guess we’ll find out.”

“Looks that way,” he agreed, slowing for a stop sign then turning in the direction that would take them back to the house.

It didn’t take too long to return back to his place and Brielle felt her nerves growing the closer they got. “I’m getting nervous,” she admitted to Alex as they came over the hill and the drive came into view. And there, in the same place it’d been when they had left, was the dark sedan. “He’s still here.”

“He must be one stubborn son of a bitch.”

She chuckled low. “You’re pretty stubborn yourself.”

“Yeah, yeah.” He sent her a smirky grin then slowed before his drive and lowered the window. Eric was once again climbing from the car as Alex slowed the SUV to a stop and the two men made eye contact. “You’re Eric Talbot?” He questioned the younger man.

Eric nodded. “I am. I’m waiting for Brielle; it’s really important that I talk to her.”

Alex looked over to the blonde then back to Eric. “Alright, follow me into the drive. We can talk inside.”

The sandy-haired man nodded and thanked him then slipped back into the vehicle.

“What do you make of that?” Alex questioned as he turned into the drive and pushed the button that would open the large gates.

Brielle glanced behind them. “I have no idea.” She blinked. “Oh my gosh, you think something happened to my parents?”

“I…” his brow creased, “...don’t know. Wouldn’t someone else contact you? Like the police or something?”

She sighed. “I suppose you’re right.”

“I’m sure your parents are just fine.” He pulled up in front of the garage and put the SUV into park.

Brielle nodded then peeked back to see Eric pulling his car up behind theirs. Taking a breath, she slowly undid her seatbelt then gathered her bag. “Alright, here goes nothing.”

“You’re gonna be just fine.” Alex reached over and squeezed her arm then slipped from the vehicle and came around to his side. He opened her door and helped her out then they both turned to see Eric approaching.

“Hey,” he greeted them, slipping the sunglasses from his face. His hazel eyes landed on Brielle and something flickered in them. “It’s been a long time.”

She nodded and smoothed her shirt some in an effort to keep her hands busy. “It has been.” A pause. “How are ya?”

“I’m doing good.” His eyes studied her. “How are you?”

She shrugged. “I can’t complain. Things are going well.”

“That’s great.” He offered up a charming smile and Brielle remembered how he had a way of always making her feel better about things.

“So, um…Eric, this is Alex…Alex, this is Eric.” She shook her head of any reminiscing and introduced the two men.

They shook hands then Alex stepped back and motioned toward the house. “Shall we go inside?”

Brielle nodded. “Yes, let’s do that.” She tucked some hair behind her ear and looked over to her ex boyfriend. “What’s this about?”

Eric shoved his hands into his pockets and sighed some. “Your parents.”

“I knew it!” She frowned and stomped her foot. “I knew it! They’re convinced you to come out here and talk me into making peace, haven’t they?”

He blinked at her mini explosion then motioned toward the house. “Let’s go inside. I’ll explain everything.”

“That’s a good idea. C’mon, Brie.” Alex captured her hand in his and led the way up the walk to the porch. He quickly unlocked the front door and allowed his two guests to move past him and inside then followed them in and closed the door behind him. “We can talk in the living room.”

Together, the three of them moved on through the foyer then down into the living room. Eric glanced around at all the décor, looking rather impressed. “This is a nice house.”

“Thank you.” Alex sank down onto the sofa, patting the spot next to him for Brielle. She joined him and Eric took the seat across from theirs. “So, what’s this all about?”

Eric looked between the two then focused his gaze on the blonde. She still looked as beautiful as she had the last day he’d seen her. Only this time, she wasn’t in tears at their parting and her eyes were livelier and her cheeks rosy. “Um, well it’s about your parents.”

She frowned. “They’ve put you up to talking to me, haven’t they? They aren’t getting anywhere so they have to call in reinforcements.”

“Um, kind of, but not exactly.”

“Then what is it?”

He sighed some. “Your parents had contacted me and asked me to talk to you,” he held up a hand when she opened her mouth to cut him off, “but, that’s not why I’m here.”

“Oh,” she sat back in her spot, “then why are you here?”

Eric fiddled with the sunglasses he’d removed earlier. “I felt like someone needed to tell you the truth. And I just couldn’t do what your parents asked me to.”

Alex frowned. “What did they ask you to do?”

He sighed. “They wanted me to help convince Brie to come back home with them.”

“I knew it!” She hissed, her hands curling into fists.

Alex reached over and massaged the back of her neck. “Why do they suddenly want her back in their life?”

Eric looked between the two and wet his bottom lip. “They’ve been trying to find her for awhile now and when news got out about…” he motioned toward her middle region, “the baby and where you were, they had a private detective get Alex’s address, then flew out here.”

“So they weren’t lying about that.” She shifted her eyes toward Alex then back to Eric. “But why did they do that?”

He shifted uncomfortably and rubbed his shoulder. “Brielle, about a year ago, your grandfather passed away.”

“Wh…what?”

He nodded and took a little breath before continuing, “He had lung cancer and by the time they realized it, it was too late to really do anything. And you know how stubborn he was; he didn’t want any kind of treatment.”

“My God.” She felt her face paling and grabbed for Alex’s leg. “They…they never told me.”

“They didn’t want you to know until they had mended things between you two.”

“But why? Why would they do that?” Tears began to fill her eyes.

Alex frowned and slipped his arm around her, pulling her to his side. “I’m sorry, baby,” he soothed as he held her close. His dark eyes turned to the visitor. “Are they playing some kind of game?”

Eric sighed at that and slouched in his seat. It’d taken some strength not to reach over and comfort Brielle when he’d seen the tears. “I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you all this, Brie, but I just couldn’t sit by knowing what was happening. They wanted me to talk you into coming back home with them and they think that’s what I’m doing, but it’s not.” He watched her. “I have to tell you the truth.”

“What’s the truth?” She sniffed out, wiping at her cheeks with her hands, until Alex leaned and grabbed her a tissue from the box on the table.

He fiddled with the arms of the sunglasses. “When your grandfather passed away, he left you some money; a lot of money, in fact. No one even knew he had a fortune like he did.”

She paused. “What?”

“Yeah, you’d always been his favorite grandchild and he admired your determination to seek out your dreams, so he left you everything he had.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “How…how much was that?”

“Well, after taxes and paying off all the medical bills and funeral costs; a little over 800,000 dollars.”

“Eight…eight hundred thousand dollars?” She could barely get the words out and thought her eyes were going to roll right out of her head.

Beside her, Alex’s frown grew. “And now they want her to come back home so they can cash in on some of that, right?”

Eric nodded. “Pretty much. They feel if they can get her back and mend things between you two, then they’ll be able to use the money too.”

“Like hell they will.” Her eyes darkened despite the tears. “I can’t believe this! I told you they wanted something!”

Alex winced at the hatred in her voice and took her hands. “I know you did, baby.”

She pulled away from him and rose to her feet. “This is bullshit! Who do they think they are?” Giving an angry growl, she started from the room. “What hotel are they staying at?”

Both Alex and Eric were on her heels. “What are you gonna go do? Go tell ‘em off?”

Brielle put her handbag around her body and turned to Alex. “That’s exactly what I’m gonna do. Tell ‘em to go back to Virginia; I don’t need them, nor do I want them.”

“What about your grandfather’s money?” Eric spoke up.

She stilled. “He really left me all that money?”

He nodded. “He did. It’s in an account waiting for you. All you have to do is contact the lawyer and sign some papers.”

“What do we do about my parents?” She sighed and looked between the two men.

“Tell ‘em to go suck an egg; they aren’t getting a dime.”

Brielle cracked a smile and Alex smirked. “I wouldn’t even know what to do with all that money.”

Alex slipped his arm around her. “Whatever you want; it’s your money.”

“Yeah, my money.” She sighed some then pulled from Alex and grabbed his car keys from the table. “Can we still go see my parents? I want to send them on their way and crush their hopes of getting their hands on that cash at my expense.”

He swiped his keys from her hand. “Whatever gets ‘em out of here.”

“Thank you.” Then she turned to Eric. “I really appreciate you coming out here and telling me the truth. There’s no telling what would have happened had you not.”

He shrugged some. “I couldn’t let them lie to you like that. You’re a special person, Brielle.” His tone softened, “I miss you, but I hope you’re happy with what you’re doing.”

“I’m getting there, Eric.” She crossed the room and enveloped him in a hug, inhaling his aftershave and it sending memories flooding back over her. “You take care of yourself.”

“I’m gonna try.” He returned the hug then pulled back. “Follow me outside and I’ll get the hotel info from my car. It’s on a post it.”

“Sure thing, man.” Alex grabbed up his hat and tugged it on his head. “Let’s do this.”

~*~*~*~*~

Hours after Brielle had finally faced her parents again, she was lying on the sofa in the den, staring at the blank television. It’d been quiet and she’d slipped into the room just needing a place to clear her head and relax for a bit. The scene at the hotel had been ugly and Brielle had finally unleashed her feelings, no holds barred. Her mother had handed it right back at her though with her own ugly words and it had been Brielle’s father and Alex that had separated the two women. It hadn’t turned physical, but if things had kept up, it looked like it was heading that way.

Her mother couldn’t believe that her grandfather (her mom’s dad) was leaving all his money to Brielle. His granddaughter had taken off on them as soon as she could and hadn’t been there during his worst times. It had been Chloe who had catered to him and his illness, Chloe who had dressed him and fed him and helped change his bedpan and sheets once his sickness had grown progressively worse. And her father had forgotten all that she’d done and passed her inheritance on to Brielle. She was furious at her father, but he wasn’t there so she took it out on Brielle.

Brielle’s father had tried to apologize, but the blonde wasn’t having it. She told them both to pack up their things and get on their way. There was nothing in LA for either of them and she had no intentions of contacting them ever. Her parents were dead to her and she hoped they’d finally acknowledge it.

Then she’d come back to Alex’s and taken a long, hot shower to relax her muscles and her stress and now here she was, lying on a sofa in an empty room in the dark.

“Hey, there you are.”

Shifting her head some to see the door, she watched as Alex let himself into the room and shut the door behind him. “Hey.”

“What are you doing in the dark?” He reached and switched on a lamp, a warm glow filling the room, but leaving shadows throughout.

“I just wanted some quiet.”

“You alright?” He joined her on the couch and shifted her legs so he could sit then laid them over his lap.

“Yeah, just thinking about earlier.”

“I’m sorry that happened.”

Her eyes met his and she offered up a faint smile. “It’s not your fault, but I appreciate it.”

“I think you did the right thing.” He reached and began to massage her feet.

“You think so? Part of me thinks I shouldn’t have let things end that way. What if something horrible happens to them and our last words were out of anger and spite?”

Alex shrugged some, rubbing along the heel of her foot. “You can’t let yourself think that way. Yes, they’re your parents, but you can’t hold onto things that can poison you, sometimes the best thing to do is let it go.”

She sighed and picked at the sofa cushion. “You think we’ll ever make up?”

“Maybe one day, but for now, the best thing is for both of you to step back from each other. There’s a lot of hurt and anger there and it only festers and gets worse the more you talk about it. Let your mother work through her issues and you work through yours; one day you two could come back together again.”

Brielle listened to his words and nodded her head. “You’re right.”

“I know I am.” He smirked and tickled the bottom of her foot very lightly.

“Hey!” She laughed and tried to jerk her feet away, but he held her ankle tightly. “Massage them don’t tickle them.”

Alex chuckled then lifted her foot and kissed the top of it. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself.”

“S’okay.” She sighed happily and lifted an arm above her head, just watching him. “What do you think I should do with the money?”

He tilted his head. “You could do a lot with that much money. You could buy yourself a nice set of wheels, get a whole new wardrobe, buy lots of baby stuff, put some away for a rainy day and still have plenty left over.”

“I could get my own place.” She sat up at that thought. “Then you would have your home back and we’d both have our space.”

Alex frowned then quickly pushed it away. “You’re not taking up my space.”

“Yeah, but you’re a guy and you just broke up with your girl, don’t you wanna go do those guy things? Hang with the boys, have obnoxious parties, flirt with the ladies.”

“Is that what you think I should be doing?”

She sighed some and studied him. “I don’t know. But why would you want me to stay here? Eventually you’re going to find another woman and I’ll only be in the way again.”

“Baby, you’re never in the way.” He frowned again. Moving out was the last thing he wanted Brielle to do. He would be perfectly content to have her stay. There wasn’t another woman and he didn’t think there would be, when at the moment he loved her.

“I just feel like you need your space and I need mine. Besides, we’d already agreed I was gonna get my own place once I got the money. Well,” she shrugged, “I have the money.”

He watched her, massaging along the ball of her foot. That was true; they had said that, but he didn’t want her to go. “I guess I wasn’t expecting it to be this soon.”

“Well, I don’t have the money yet.” She nudged him with her free foot and settled back down against the couch. “But soon. Tomorrow, I’ll call the lawyer from the business card Eric gave me. And I can pay you back.”

“You’re not paying me back.” He squeezed her toe. “And if you argue with me I’ll tickle your foot.”

“Okay, okay,” she giggled low and wiggled her toes, “I won’t pay you back.”

“Good.” He sighed some and they both fell silent. Brielle thinking about the windfall she’d come into and Alex realizing he didn’t want to lose her. He couldn’t hold her back, but he wasn’t ready to let her go yet.

“What’re you thinking about?” Her soft voice cut through his thoughts and he turned his eyes back to her.

“Just about today; it’s been an emotional one.”

“That it has.” She nodded in agreement. “How are you doing after everything with Renee?”

He sighed and leaned his head back. “Relieved. She was so mad at me, but I can’t let it get to me. Our relationship was nothing like I thought it had been.”

“Took awhile for you to see that; but I’m glad you did before you ended up married. Then it’d be a real mess.”

“Heh, you can say that again.” He squeezed her ankle. “Thank you for being so supportive.”

“How can I not be? You’ve done so much for me and support me. I’m just repaying the favor.”

Her smile made him want to pull her into his arms. He smoothed his hand along her leg. “Do you think everything happens for a reason?”

“Like, there’s a purpose and a direct path we go down?”

“Something like that.”

She tilted her head and thought it over. “Maybe. If I’d never gone to New York and ended up nearly homeless then I’d never have met you. And if you’d never met me, then you might never have seen Renee’s true colors and ended up in a bad marriage.”

“I think you’re right.”

Brielle shifted up on her elbows. “You just can’t let her get in the way of you and that baby. Or let her bad attitude get in the way of your time with the child.”

“I don’t plan to.” He shook his head and frowned. “I don’t want things to get ugly, but I have a feeling they will. And I’m gonna do everything I can to make sure it’s a fair custody agreement.”

“I’m sure you will.”

He nodded some then slouched a bit more on the sofa, resting her legs across his abdomen. “What a day.”

“Yes, it has been.”

“You know, I was thinking, since you missed your grandfather’s funeral and what not, maybe you’d like to go back to Virginia and see the gravesite.”

She arched a brow at him. “Back to the town where my parents will be?”

Alex chuckled low. “I’ll be with you and we won’t stop at your parents place. We can get a hotel room and go right to the cemetery. Avoid them at all costs.”

Brielle mulled it over. “I think I’d like that. And he left me his entire fortune, I should go thank him and tell him goodbye.”

He nodded. “I’ll look into some tickets and maybe we can go sometime after New Years.”

“By then I’ll probably be able to buy my own ticket.”

He squeezed her ankle again. “You might be able to, but I won’t let you.”

She eyed him in a cute manner. “I can tell I’m going to have a hard time convincing you to let me spend my own money.”

He chuckled at that. “I told you I was going to take care of you, and I’m planning on sticking to my word.”

“Even if I have my own money?”

He nodded and smoothed a hand along her leg. “Even if you have your own money. I just feel like I should be the one taking care of you and our baby.”

Her eyes roamed his face. “You make it sound like we’re a couple.”

Alex wet his bottom lip and realized his heart was starting to beat faster. “Well, …we are having a baby together.”

Her eyes widened some. “Are,” she paused then started again, “Are you saying you want to be a couple?”

“I…” he swallowed hard, “um…I just…ended a relationship.”

“Of course you did,” she spoke up before he could continue what he wanted to say. “So, it’d be a really bad idea to dive right into another one. Besides, we both have too much going on to worry about a relationship.”

Alex felt his hopes crumbling. “Right, of course.”

“Right,” she agreed, sounding less than sure. “Besides, the relationship we have between us works really well; why mess up a good thing?”

He sighed and knew his hopes had been dashed. She obviously wasn’t interested in him the same way he was with her. When had that changed? He’d been pretty sure she had some feelings for him other than friendship, but maybe he had been kidding himself. After all, it might ruin a good thing. And who wants to do that? Even if it does makes things better.
Chapter Twenty-Three by summer
Author's Notes:

Enjoy :)

Four days later, Christmas day to be exact, found Alex, Denise and Brielle seated in his living room with the beautifully decorated Christmas tree lit and shining bright. Denise’s husband, Tony, had come in on Christmas Eve to join them which had been a nice surprise. The four had gone to the midnight mass ceremony at a church that Alex tried to visit when he wasn’t being lazy. The following morning, Denise had woken them up with the smells of bacon and pancakes, sausage and waffles. They’d had a large breakfast then migrated to the living room to open the presents.

Alex hadn’t heard from Renee, but he was expecting to shortly. She wasn’t going to give up that easily, so her silence only made him worry that she was going to attack back with a blow bigger than he could defend.

Brielle had called the lawyer of her grandfather’s will, but his office was closed and the message on the phone had said to call back on January 3rd. She made a note to remember to do that after she got in from her first day of work. When she’d informed Lily of the windfall, her friend had thought it was a joke. Then she’d encouraged the blonde to take the money and be wise in her spending. The last thing she needed to be doing was become one of those prima donna bitches that throw money around like it’s a wet rag.

That’s the last thing Brielle wanted. She had already decided to put a couple hundred grand in a savings account, or two, for her baby. That way, if something ever happened to her, her child would be taken care of. Though with Alex around, she was sure it’d always be that way. The rest of the money, Brielle still hadn’t made a decision on, but she wasn’t going to rush into anything rash. Besides, it would probably be awhile before the cash was in her hands, so she had plenty of time to think things over.

After Alex’s near admission of wanting to be in a relationship, Brielle had tried to keep things smooth between the two. It wasn’t that she wasn’t attracted to him; she knew she was, but his break with Renee was still fresh and jumping into something new right away usually ended just as bad as things had with his ex. She didn’t want to be a rebound girl and she didn’t want to ruin what they already had. They were going to have to spend the next 18 years dealing with each other and hating him was the last thing she wanted to do.

What if they got together and realized they weren’t a match? She couldn’t do something like that to her child or Alex. “But what if you realize there was never anyone else?” Lily had questioned her one night on the phone. Brielle hadn’t known what to respond with so she’d changed the subject and her friend had let it drop.

As for how Alex was dealing with being shot down, he was taking it a day at a time. With the absence of Renee in his life, he’d been doing well on ignoring the cravings for his potent poison of choice. The thing that helped the most was the kite flying, so he went out and bought one and every time that longing would appear in his chest and travel to his mouth, he’d go into the backyard and fly the kite. Gave new meaning to the phrase ‘go fly a kite’.

It didn’t stop him from still being in love with the blonde. And every day that passed, only made it that much stronger. He understood her reasoning’s, or at least he told himself he did, but it didn’t change a damn thing. He still wanted her and the little looks he’d catch her sending his way, told him she felt the same. He would wear her down; he was AJ McLean, he could do anything.

“Alright, who wants to go first?” Denise questioned from her place on the sofa, Tony seated next to her.

Brielle smiled. “How about you; after all, you are the mother.”

“I think that’s a great idea.” Alex grinned then crawled to the tree and sifted through the gifts for the right one. “Here we go.” Leaning back, he reached and passed it to Brielle who handed it to Denise.

Denise smiled. “Ooh, good job on the wrapping, son.” carefully she looked the gift over then went about pulling the paper off to get to what was inside.

Alex chuckled. “I had it gift wrapped.”

“I should have known.” She winked at him then shoved the wrapping paper into her husband’s lap and proceeded to open the white box in her hand. Inside, she found a delicate looking necklace and earring set with sparkling red rubies set in gold. “Ooh, Alex, this is beautiful.”

He smiled. “I was hoping you’d like it.”

“I do, it’s absolutely gorgeous.” Carefully, she lifted the necklace from the box and surveyed it in the light. “I love it, thank you, baby.”

He blushed slightly and ducked his head. “You’re welcome.”

Brielle grinned. “It really is beautiful. You should put it on.”

“Oh, yes.” She passed it to Tony who helped slip it around her neck and get it secured. “There.”

“It’s perfect.”

“Thank you.” Denise adjusted the chain then blew a kiss toward her son.

Alex grinned. “I’m glad you like it.” Rubbing his hands together, he eyed the occupants of the room. “Okay, who’s next?”

“It’s Brielle’s turn.” His mother pointed toward the blonde. “Grab that red one.”

“Yes, ma’am.” He did as instructed then passed the rather large box over to her. “Here you go.”

She chuckled and accepted it. “You should be wearing a Santa hat.”

“I usually have one, but Nick stole it last Christmas and I have yet to get it back.”

“Nick?”

“My bandmate. Remember, you met him the first day you and Lily were here.”

“Ooh, that Nick, right.” She nodded then looked the package over. “You guys didn’t have to get me anything.”

“Oh, hush, open it.” Denise waved a hand at her as if to say that’d be a silly thing to do.

Brielle smiled. “Okay.” Sliding her fingers under a flap of the paper, she pulled it up then began to tear along the seams where it was taped together. Once the paper was off, Brielle surveyed what the box said and her eyes widened. “You…you didn’t…” she stammered, glancing over to Denise then back to the gift in her lap.

Denise didn’t try to hide the large grin on her face. “Oh, I did so. I hope you like that kind.”

The Nikon D5000 camera that she had just unwrapped was perfect. Brielle’s old camera didn’t mount to a thing next to this baby. And she couldn’t believe Denise and Alex had gotten it for her. She almost wanted to say she couldn’t accept it, but the look on the older woman’s face kept the words at bay. Instead, she surveyed the box then wiped at the tears that were gathering in the corners of her eyes. “I love it, thank you!”

Alex grinned. “Now you’ll be able to get some really good shots of the baby.”

“And you can start up your hobby again,” Denise added.

Brielle sniffed and nodded. “You have no idea how much I’ve missed taking pictures. I can’t believe you did this.”

Small wrinkles formed around Denise’s eyes from her smile. “You deserve it, honey. After everything you’ve been through and coming out here alone. We just wanted to give you a little something.”

She nodded and surveyed the box then looked to Alex. “Thank you.”

He smiled and touched her arm. “You’re welcome.”

She caught his hand and lifted it to her cheek, holding it there for a minute. Finally, she lowered it to her lap then turned her attention onto the rest of the group. “Okay, who’s next?”

~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later, Brielle found Alex in his office. Tony had given him some new software for a program he used and he wanted to get it installed before it got pushed to the side and forgotten about.

After all the gifts had been opened, Denise and Brielle worked together to make up a lunch of lasagna and garlic toast. While it had baked, Brielle stole away to her bedroom and called Lily. She’d thanked her for the gift that her friend had sent her. A baby book and a beautiful quilt that was multicolored and could go well with either a boy or a girl.

The two talked for a bit and Brielle told her about the awesome camera Alex and Denise had gotten her. Lily told Brielle about how the wedding plans were going and what kind of things she had coming up. They’d picked a date; August 20th, and both the ceremony and reception were going to be held at The Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers. Which was probably one of the nicest places in New York to have a wedding.

After they’d finally said their goodbye’s, Brielle had taken a nap, woke and showered again because the muscles in her lower back were sore, then gone off in search of Alex. Hence, her ending up in his office as he worked on his computer.

“What’s up?” He questioned as he leaned back in his chair and pulled the reading glasses from his face. He hated them, but if he didn’t wear them while reading or working on the computer, he’d get one bitch of a headache.

“Um,” she shifted on her feet, her hands behind her back, “I have something for you.”

“What’s that?”

Brielle withdrew her arms and held a medium sized, gift box toward him. “This.”

“Another present? You already got me something.” He was referring to the nice, leather wallet she had given him.

“I know,” she gave a simple shrug, “but I wanted to give you this and I didn’t think it was something your mom or stepdad needed to see.”

Alex’s brows rose. “Ooh, is this porn?”

“What?” She laughed and her cheeks blushed slightly. “No! I would never give you porn; especially as a gift.”

“Damn.” He chuckled then proceeded to slit the tape holding the box together and lifted the lid. Peering inside, he pushed the tissue paper aside to reveal a tan, leather bound journal. It had that aged look and style but just one look and it was obviously brand new. “A journal?” He lifted his gaze to Brielle.

“Um, yeah,” she fidgeted with the bottom of her shirt in a nervous manner, “I…well, I know that you’ve been going through a lot of stuff and,” a shrug, “and I thought that maybe…writing out your thoughts and feelings might help you cope better.”

He looked between the journal and her. “Like keep a diary?”

“Well, sort of, except it’s a journal. I thought diaries were kind of girlie, so I made sure it didn’t have a lock or a code to get into it.”

Alex chuckled. “That’s very true.”

“I don’t know how into writing your feelings out you are, but I thought you might could look at it like…your past is already written and now is your chance to write your future. It can be anything you want it to be, Alex.”

He stilled at that and studied the journal, smoothing his thumb over the cover. “You are a very wise woman,” he spoke softly after a long moment.

She blushed. “Thank you. I just really want you to be okay. I know we haven’t known each other for very long…but um,” her hands were fiddling with her shirt again, “I care about you a lot and I don’t want to see you in pain or upset about anything. Maybe writing would help.”

“I…” he stopped and rubbed his head then set the box with the journal onto his desk. Pushing the chair back, he rose from it and moved around his desk to where she stood. “Thank you.” Then he pulled her into his arms and hugged her close.

The journal was a great idea. Back when he’d been in rehab, he had kept a journal and wrote it in nearly every day. Once back out into the real world, Alex had tried to keep at it but things just became too busy and sooner than later, it was forgotten. He had come across it while clearing his old place out when he was moving and tossed it. But what Brielle had just relayed to him stirred something and he knew her words were right.

She smiled and returned the hug, resting her head against his chest. The gift idea had come to her the day they’d first gone kite flying and on Wednesday, she’d snuck away from Denise while they shopped and purchased it with the bit of money she had left over from some earlier gift buying. She was just glad he’d liked the idea and hadn’t balked or made her feel the fool.

Smoothing her hair then kissing her head, he pulled back and met her gaze. “I think the journal is really gonna help.”

“I hope so.”

Smiling, he kissed her forehead then pulled back. “So, have you got your camera set up yet?”

“Not yet,” she thumbed toward the doorway, “I’m about to go do that now.”

“I woulda thought you’d do that first thing.”

Her shoulders shrugged. “I was gonna, but then I talked to Lily and took a nap then showered and now here I am.”

His brows drew together. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah, just my lower back is sore.” Her hands reached back and smoothed over the area.

“What?” He frowned then gently turned her around and ran his hands over it. “Here?” When she nodded, he began to gently massage the area. “I’m sorry, is it painful?”

“No, just sore, but that feels really good.” She sighed and ducked her head.

His fingers kneaded her back. “Good. Maybe we should get you a heating pad.”

“I don’t think it’s that bad.”

“Couldn’t hurt.” He smoothed his hands up her back and massaged along her spine. “Though, is that safe? We should check first.”

“I know hot tubs aren’t safe.”

“We’ll have to find out about heating pads.”

Brielle opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off when the phone on Alex’s desk gave a ring.

“Hold that thought.” He squeezed her shoulders then reached over and grabbed it up, lifting it to his ear. “Hello?” He was expecting it to be his aunt or cousin or maybe even one of the guys, but when Renee’s father’s voice greeted him, he knew it wasn’t going to be good.

“I hope you’re happy!” He practically yelled over the line.

Alex jerked at the tone of his voice. “Excuse me?”

“I said, I hope you’re happy, McLean!”

“Um, I heard that, but what are you saying it to me about?”

Charles Kemp gave an angry sound in his throat. “What you have done to my daughter.”

Alex glanced over to where Brielle was watching with a curious expression. There was no doubt she had heard the angry tone through the receiver. Renee’s father was yelling so loud he was sure his mother could probably hear it. “Um, Mr. Kemp, I haven’t done anything to your daughter. I can’t marry her and I’m sorry you feel so angry about that, that you are calling me up and screaming at me.”

“This isn’t about the engagement,” he spat out. “This is about your child!”

Immediately his heart skipped a beat. “Um…what are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about your child, Alexander. Because of your decisions, Renee has lost the baby. I hope you’re happy.”

A strange pressure filled his chest. “Say…say what?”

“You heard me; you killed your own child, Alex. How’s that feel?”

He had to grab for his desk for support, his legs suddenly felt like rubber. He couldn’t be hearing Mr. Kemp correctly. This wasn’t really happening. “Um..I…”

“Yeah, don’t have much to say about that, now, do you?”

“I…” he choked out and sat down hard in the chair next to him. The temperature in the room had gone up about ten degrees and he felt like his lungs were squeezing, making it difficult to breathe. “Are…um…you…are you sure?”

“You think I’m lying? Why in hell would I lie about something like that? Renee is torn up about it and neither her mother nor I can make any sense of anything she’s saying.”

“I…when…when did this happen?” He glanced over to see Brielle next to his chair. She reached and smoothed a hand over his back and he welcomed her touch. Her hand felt cool against the hot skin, even through the shirt he was wearing.

“Yesterday. And she’s been asking for you.”

As much as he may not have wanted to see her, he knew he had no choice. “Okay, I’m um…I’ll be over there in a bit.”

“Good, because you’re the one that should be handling the situation; it was your child.”

A sharp pain began in his chest, similar to what being stabbed by an ice pick might feel like. Not that he’d know of course. “I’m…um…thank you for letting me know,” was all he could manage out before the receiver fell from his hand to the desk and he leaned forward with his face in his hands.

Brielle reached and hung the phone up for him then smoothed her hand to his back again. “What happened?” She questioned softly.

“Renee lost the baby.” He lifted his head and rubbed at his eyes. They were stinging, but he wouldn’t let himself cry, at least not yet.

She gasped. “Oh, Alex.”

“I know.” He cleared his throat then rose to his feet and smoothed his shirt some. “I have to go over there.”

“Of course you do. Gosh, that poor girl. Do you need me to do anything?”

Alex studied his computer, chewing at the inside of his cheek. “Um, yeah, don’t,” he turned to her and their eyes met, “don’t tell my mom…not yet. I…I want to talk to Renee first.”

She quickly nodded her head. “I won’t. I’ll tell her you went to see a friend.” That wouldn’t be a lie. Not completely anyway.

“Thank you.” He stared at her a moment longer then seemed to snap from his daze and grabbed up his cell phone. “I’ll be home later then.”

“Take all the time you need.”

“Right. I’ll um…be back later.” Pocketing his phone, he moved to her and kissed her cheek then slipped from the room.

Brielle watched him go then sank down into the chair, smoothing a hand over the small bump in her tummy. What a horrible thing to have happen and for someone to have to go through. She wasn’t much of a fan of Renee, but she wouldn’t wish something like that on anyone. And poor Alex. The situation he was in was going to make it very difficult for the two of them to come together and work through it. She hoped they could though; no one should have to go through something like that alone.

~*~*~*~*~

Alex climbed the steps to Renee’s porch with heavy feet. The entire drive over he’d done nothing but think about what he could have done different so this hadn’t of happened. Maybe he should have waited to end things, or if he’d spent more time with her, or not yelled at her and gotten her so upset. And now, because he was such a moron, she had miscarried their baby. She would never forgive him and he felt sick to his stomach at having to face her.

Renee’s father opened the door after he rang the bell and led the younger man into the house. Renee’s mother, Amelia Kemp, was in the kitchen and Charles led Alex into the room. Amelia was as elegant as Charles was large. She had hair as dark as her daughter’s and always wore it swept up into some twist. Her vivid eyes were a deep brown and her skin perfectly tanned. She never wore anything other than designer brands and Alex didn’t think he’d ever seen her looking anything less than perfect.

She greeted him coolly, her long, thin fingers wrapped around the stem of a wineglass.

Alex could feel the tension in the room and tiny sweat beads began to form across his forehead. “Um, how’s she doing?” He questioned, diving right in to the point and trying to avoid any uncomfortable small talk.

“How do you think she’s doing, Alex?” Amelia frowned. “She lost her child.”

He winced. “Um…I…what happened?”

Charles sighed. “She was supposed to come to our place today for Christmas dinner. When she didn’t show up and didn’t answer her phone, I came over to see what was up and found her in the middle of the living room floor in tears. I called her mother and we managed to get out what had happened. Then I called you.”

“And it happened yesterday?”

“Yes.”

He swallowed hard then rubbed the back of his neck. “Did she…was there…um…”

“She was alone,” her mother answered the question for him, as if reading his mind. “She had to go through the entire thing alone, because you refused to have anything to do with her.”

His brows furrowed. “I did not. I just…” he sighed, “I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Kemp, but your daughter and I don’t belong together. I was still going to do everything I could for her and the baby.”

“Yeah, well, you won’t have to worry about that now.”

The look on her father’s face made him want to retreat into his shell. “I’m sorry this happened.”

Amelia huffed and looked away from him, her fingers tightening around the wineglass.

Charles sighed and smoothed a hand over his wife’s back. “Anyway, she’s been asking for you. The least you could do is go sit with her a spell.”

“Of course. Is she in her room?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you.” With a sigh, he slipped from the room and headed for the stairs. Things were never going to be the same between him and Renee’s parents again. But could he blame them; he’d had a big hand in sending his unborn child to the grave.

Taking the stairs two at a time, Alex was dreading the moment he saw Renee, but wanting to get it over with at the same time. He didn’t want her screaming at him, throwing objects and trying to claw his eyes out. But what he found wasn’t anything like he expected.

Renee was lying in the bed dressed in some blue plaid pajama pants and a blue tee. The covers were haphazardly strewn about the bed and covering her legs. Her normally piercing green eyes seemed so lifeless and rimmed with red and blotches from the after effects of her tears were on her cheeks.

“Hey,” he gently greeted her, pausing in the doorway.

Renee looked in his direction and their eyes met. “Hey,” she managed out after a moment.

He felt his heart twisting and pain in his chest. What did one say in a situation like this? ‘How are you’ didn’t seem like the right thing. Obviously, she wasn’t okay. Wetting his bottom lip, he slowly moved fully into the room. “Can I get you anything?”

The brunette shook her head, reaching and tugging the covers up and over her chest. “No.”

“You sure?”

She nodded then patted the spot next to her.

Wordlessly, Alex sank down beside her. “I’m sorry, babe,” he reached over and brushed some hair from her face, “I’m so very sorry.”

Something flashed in her eyes but then faded away and she shifted her body until she could rest her head in his lap.

He sighed then began smoothing his fingers through her hair. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“What’s there to say? I lost my baby,” her voice broke and she pressed her face into his legs.

“I know and I’m so sorry, Renee.”

“I doubt it. You’re probably relieved. Now you don’t have to worry about two baby mamas or me keeping you from your child.”

He frowned at her words. “I may not think that marrying you was the right thing to do, but I never would have wished something like this on you…on anyone. It was my baby too.”

“You didn’t act like it was.” She lifted her head and sat up, brushing dark locks from her face.

“I know and I’m sorry about that.” He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I…it was a lot for me to handle and I felt like I was being spread so thin.”

“Then you should have talked to me about it instead of breaking up with me.” Tears were forming in her eyes and she turned away from him. “You made me so upset and the doctor said the stress is what…what made me,” her voice began wavering and she covered her face with her hands, “lose my baby.”

He felt the punch to his gut. “God, baby, I’m so sorry.” Reaching over, he gently pulled her into his arms and held her close, rocking her back and forth. She trembled against him and he realized that his arms were shaking as well. This was all his fault and he’d be going straight to hell for it.

Finally, after she had thoroughly dampened his shirt, she pulled away and shifted back down onto the bed, lying with her back to him and facing the opposite wall.

Alex rubbed the back of his neck. “Can you tell me what happened?”

She cleared her throat. “It was yesterday. I wasn’t feeling well, but just thought it was because I hadn’t eaten and was too depressed to,” she paused and he felt another twist of guilt to his gut. “That’s when I noticed the blood…down there.”

He closed his eyes, his head leaning back against the headboard. “What did you do?” It came out in a whisper because he didn’t have the strength to speak any louder.

“I freaked out and knew something horrible was happening.” Shifting to her back, she turned to face him. “So, I drove myself to the hospital.”

His head snapped up at that and he forced his eyes open. “You drove yourself?”

“Yeah, I …I didn’t want to have to wait for anyone. I didn’t know how long it’d take and I knew I just needed to get to the hospital.”

“You should have called me.”

“You wouldn’t have been able to do anything. The…the doctor said I was already losing the baby.” Tears glistened in her eyes again.

“Did you bring yourself home?”

She sniffed. “No, a friend brought me home. And I just…collapsed on the floor and that’s where my parents found me.”

“Oh, Renee,” his hand reached out and smoothed over her cheek, “I am so sorry.” She should have called him, he could have helped her. He could have done something, anything. Instead, she’d lost their baby and he felt completely useless. It was all his fault. All of it, every single part. If he hadn’t been such a hot head, she might still have the baby. If only he’d taken care of her like he’d taken care of Brielle. But it was too late for any of that, and he wasn’t sure if she was ever going to forgive him. He didn’t know if he’d ever be able to forgive himself.

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, Alex had finally slipped away from Renee. Her father had brought in a sedative and she’d fallen asleep. Hopefully she’d sleep the entire night without nightmares. Alex had told Charles that he would call her on Sunday then he’d made haste as quickly as possible. Mr. Kemp scared him and he didn’t want to be on the receiving end of the brute of a man’s fist.

Not ready to go back home and face Brielle and his mother, he’d ended up at an old regular of his, somewhere he used to frequent quite often back in the day. The neon lights illuminated the parking lot as the dark surrounded him and he stared at the sign. Indulgence still looked the same it had many years ago, except he was sure the faces had changed. But the environment, the women and the drinks were the same. And that’s what he so desperately needed.

Alex needed something to help him forget, something to ease the hurt in his chest and numb the pain. And no kite or even a journal could do that at the moment. Nothing but forgetting who he was and what a fuck up he always had been. Some things never changed and that was one of them.

He’d lost his baby and Renee had to live with that for the rest of her life. That was a weight he couldn’t shoulder and so he made a decision. Cutting off the engine, he withdrew the keys then stepped from the SUV. It was time to go forget.

End Notes:

And I need to thank everyone for their great gift ideas. Gabby Ghigonetto especially, for her wonderful idea of the journal. It came in very useful and I appreciate it. Thanks so much. :)

Chapter Twenty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:

Enjoy :)

It was the dead of night and the house was completely still and silent. Not a single light burned nor a sound uttered. Brielle was tucked away in the comfy bed in the guestroom, the shades closed but slivers of moonlight sneaking in through the cracks. The blankets on the bed rose and fell softly with her breathing and her long, blonde hair was fanned across the pillow.

Next to the bed, lying on the nightstand was a black cellular phone that Alex had given her as a Christmas gift. He’d insisted she take it after she’d opened the box and deemed it too much money. She had a job now and she would need a phone in case she was away from the house, or him, and something happened. He’d even been sweet enough to program it with all the important numbers; him, his mom, her doctor, the hospital, his bandmates in case she wasn’t able to get a hold of him and Lily.

Brielle had been touched though she’d decided that she was going to take over the bill once she was able to get hold of the money. She just hadn’t informed Alex yet because she was pretty certain he wouldn’t let her. He was so sweet and great to take care of her, but she wanted to make her own way in life. And she was trying to get him to understand; that was the tricky part.

Riiinnnggg

The phone lit up and the sound of its ringtone filled the room, cutting through the silence like a knife. The blonde in the bed jerked then rolled to her side and pulled her pillow over her head. It couldn’t be time to get up yet; it felt like she’d just gotten in the bed.

Riiinnnggg

It took two more after that one before Brielle realized that the sound was her new phone and not some alarm. Pushing the pillow away, she sat up in the bed and grabbed the cell from the table. Alex’s name flashed on the screen and her brows drew together. She hadn’t expected him to be gone as long as he was, but the situation was pretty serious and if Renee had needed him to stay, then he would stay.

Riiinnnggg

She jerked and nearly dropped the phone. Fumbling, she found the answer button and pressed it then lifted it to her ear. “Hello?” She sounded groggy and she cleared her throat then tried again, “Hello?”

“Wha’re you doooin?” Alex’s voice flowed over the line in a drunken state.

Brielle lifted a brow. “Alex?”

“That’d be me,” he slurred.

She frowned. “You’re drunk.”

“Yes, yes, I am and it feels soooo goood. Goooood. Gooood. What a weird word.”

The blonde sighed and rubbed some sleep from her eyes. “Where are you?”

“I’m right here. Where’re you?” His words slurred together and she had to listen closely to make sure she was hearing him correctly.

“I’m in bed. Are you still at Renee’s?”

No response.

In the background, Brielle could make out some horrible sounding music. “Alex?”

“Hm?”

“Where are you?” She spoke slowly, annunciating each word. Her patience was wearing thin with his drinking and she wasn’t in the mood to deal with it. If he thought getting wasted was going to make him feel any better about Renee and the baby then he was seriously mistaken. He needed some help if this was going to be a regular thing like it seemed to be heading toward.

“Ummmm…I’m watchin’ this fucken hot chick take her clothes off.”

She frowned again and looked to her phone. “Excuse me?”

“You could be’a stripper, ya know. You’re pretty hot too. This chick has some big tits.”

His words disgusted her and she nearly hung up on him. “Why did you call me?”

“Oh, right,” he fell silent again.

“Alex, I’m about five seconds away from hanging up this phone.”

“I think I need’a ride,” he finally managed out.

She sighed. “Where are you?”

“A strip club. Hey, you could work here!”

She ignored his drunken comment. “I have no idea where any strip clubs are.”

“Well, I’ma tell you. It’s…shit, I don’t know, I’m too drunk ta think.”

Brielle sighed and rubbed her forehead. “What’s the name of the club?”

Indulgence. And lemme tell you …they innndulllgee you for sure.”

“I don’t really care to hear about that. You need someone to pick you up?” She had no idea how she was going to do that; she didn’t know where this place was and she couldn’t just drive around LA looking for it. Besides, she had no transportation and she wasn’t comfortable driving any of his vehicles. Least not in the middle of the night by herself.

“I nee’a ride, I don’t think I can stand up. My legs are all wonky and shit.”

“How am I supposed to pick you up when I don’t know where this place is?”

“Hmmmmmm.”

She could just see him trying to look all thoughtful and not fall off his barstool and had she not been annoyed with what he was doing, she might have found some humor in that mental picture. “I’ll figure it out. Just…don’t go anywhere, okay?”

“Hell no, Foxy Lady just came on stage and I wanna see this.” Then he hung up without a goodbye.

Brielle sighed and lowered the phone, pressing the end call button. Great, what was she going to do? Waking Denise and asking her or Tony for help was not an option and neither was taking off on her own. If she were a mean person she’d leave him there, he deserved it for his behavior. But she couldn’t do that.

Tapping her finger to her chin, she began to scroll through the contacts in her phone. Maybe she could try one of his band mates. He had told her they were like brothers, so one of them would have to help her. Besides, who would turn down a crying pregnant woman which she could do if the conversation wasn’t heading in the direction it should be. But which one to call?

Nick would probably be the best choice. If she remembered correctly, the others were married and she would hate to wake them in the middle of the night. Not that she was happy to be waking Nick. Well, if he didn’t want to help, maybe he’d at least give her some directions.

Biting her bottom lip and sending up a prayer that he wouldn’t be upset with her interrupting him, or waking him, she pressed the button to call him then lifted the phone to her ear.

Nick answered after the third ring. “Lo’?”

“Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“Hey, it’s Brielle; um…Alex’s friend.”

“Oh, hey…what’s up?”

She sighed and tucked some hair behind her ear. “I’m sorry to disturb you so late, but um…I just got a call from Alex and he’s in desperate need of a ride.”

“AJ is?”

“AJ? No, Al- ooh, you mean his nickname,” she lightly smacked her forehead, “yes, Alex needs a ride. Apparently, he’s at some …strip club and he’s completely wasted.”

Nick gave a sigh. “Again?”

Brielle arched a brow. “He’s done this before?”

“Shit,” he dragged the word out. “You didn’t know about that.”

“Erm, no, but you can tell me all about it on the way to go get him. Was I interrupting anything?”

Nick chuckled low. “Nah, I was messing in my studio. You’re at his place, right?”

“Yes, but don’t ring the bell, his mom and step dad are sleeping. I’ll meet you outside. Thanks.” And then she hung up before he could respond. Frowning at the thought of Alex having done this before, she quickly slipped from the bed to get dressed and meet up with Nick.

Twenty minutes later, Nick pulled up into Alex’s drive. True to her word, Brielle was waiting on the porch. Quickly, she made her way off it and down the walk to the drive. Nick leaned across the seats and pushed the door of his SUV open and she slipped up and inside.

“Thanks for doing this,” she greeted him with, settling into the seat and pulling the seat belt around her and snapping it in place.

Nick waited until she was ready before putting the vehicle into drive and swinging around the circular drive. “He’d do it for me.”

She nodded. “Has he?”

“A few times,” he chuckled low and shook his head, “but I try not to do that anymore.”

“I don’t blame you.” She glanced around the SUV then turned her sleepy blue eyes his way. “When did he do this last?”

“About a week and a half ago; after he found out that Renee was pregnant.”

“That’s the night he never came home.”

The male in the vehicle glanced to her. “Yeah, he called me and I took him to my place. He was drunk as a skunk.”

Brielle frowned. “I worry about him.”

Nick met her gaze. “I do too.” Then he blinked. “Um, where exactly are we going? That might help me.”

“Oh,” she chuckled low, “um, Indulgence I think is the name. And just a warning, he’s pretty wasted. He was telling me I should be a stripper and if I hadn’t stopped him, he mighta given me a play by play on some of the dancers.”

Nick shook his head. “He’s back to his usual.”

“His usual?”

“Uh huh, Indulgence is the club he’d go to back in the day.”

“Back in the day?”

Nick glanced to her then back to the road. “Yeah, back before he got himself on the right track and got sober.”

Brielle tried not to look as shocked as she felt. “He…wait…what?”

Her companion felt the blood drain from his face and his heart slowly rose into his throat. “You um…didn’t know about that?”

“What is there to know?”

Now he felt like a complete ass and knew Alex wouldn’t be very happy with him. Well, it wasn’t entirely his fault; Aje should have told her about this or at the very least, told Nick she had no idea and he wasn’t being completely honest with her. “Um…” he shifted his hands on the steering wheel, “about ten years ago, Aje wasn’t in a very good place; he was using more than just alcohol and heading down a very, very bad path.”

“He told me he did drugs in the past, but he said he’s been clean for a long time now.”

“That’s partly the truth.” Nick slowed for a red light and turned her way again. “He isn’t doing drugs now, least I hope he’s not. He’s just drinking again. Sometimes, Alex has a really hard time handling certain situations and so he falls back into the familiarity of the alcohol and how it helps him feel better.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “He…I…” she paused and was quiet for a moment, just trying to gather her thoughts. “He told me he just drinks occasionally. I…had no idea it was a problem for him. I mean, I thought it was weird that he didn’t want his mom to know…” she trailed off and a frown creased her brow.

“He doesn’t want his mom to know because then he’ll have to admit he has a problem. He’s trying to pretend he doesn’t. Alex is very stubborn and you can’t just tell him that he’s got issues or problems, he’ll do his damndest to prove you wrong.” Nick sighed some then accelerated through the green light once it changed.

“Heh, stubborn is putting it mildly. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who is as strong willed as Alex. And I probably never will.” She tilted her head. “How long has he been drinking again?” Then suddenly her eyes widened and she gasped. “Ooh no! Was this something I caused?”

Nick frowned at that and looked to her. “Unless you put the drink in his hand and forced him to take it; no it’s not. He makes his own decisions and he knows the consequences.”

“When did he start drinking again?”

“Alex and alcohol have a very sordid relationship,” Nick explained. “He got sober in 2001, but relapsed again pretty quickly. Then got sober again and was good for awhile…and one day, he still hasn’t said why, got drunk. Since then, it’s been touch and go. He’ll be clean awhile then one day, drink himself into a stupor.”

“I can’t believe he didn’t tell me this.” She would be fuming if she wasn’t feeling sorry for him. The man needed help and she should have been smarter to know something was up with how secretive he was being about it. Shoving her out the window should have been her first clue.

“He doesn’t like to tell a lot of people. He’s very sensitive and he’s very scarred and opening himself up to that emotion and letting people in past all his defenses is hard for him.”

Brielle sighed and rubbed her forehead. “So, what do we do? Stage an intervention?”

“Heh, only if we want to see how fast he can hightail it out of there. Then disappear for a week.” Nick shook his head. “No, we have to be delicate and not make it seem like we’re backing him against a wall. You push Alex, he pushes back harder.”

“I knew something wasn’t right. He nearly dragged me to a bar with him the other day. Luckily, I talked him out of it.”

Nick’s brows rose. “You talked him out of drinking?” When she nodded, he shook his head and continued, “I can’t believe that. Usually he gets an idea in his head and he does it, regardless of the consequences.”

“Well, I was able to talk him down then we went to the beach and flew kites.”

His brows rose yet again. “You flew kites?” He glanced to her. “Alex flew a kite?”

“Yes,” she chuckled, “why is that so hard to believe? He even bought one the other day and he’s been flying it in the backyard.”

“I…” he chuckled and shook his head, “I’m just impressed is all. You’ve begun to tame the wild beast.”

“I’m taming him?”

“You’re keeping him from drinking; I’d say that’s taming him.”

“Heh, it didn’t work tonight.”

Nick sighed some and made a left turn onto a narrow road with a broken street light. “What happened?”

She wet her bottom lip and shifted her gaze around at their surroundings. “This area doesn’t look very safe.”

“It’s not. Indulgence is probably the seediest joint in all of LA and yes, Alex would make it his hangout.” He glanced to her again. “But what happened tonight that made him do this?”

“I dunno if I should tell you. I mean, it’s not my place and I don’t want to upset him.”

He nodded. He had to respect that. “I get that.”

“Good.” She smoothed her hands over her legs. “I can say, that I think his problem with drinking stems from his relationship with Renee; she’s toxic and not healthy in the least bit for him.”

“Don’t I know that. We’ve tried to talk him out of this marriage thing he wants to do with her too many times to count; but there’s only so much you can do or say. And no one wants to send him into eloping with her so we just…let it drop.”

She picked at her jeans. “Um, I kinda was able to help him see that marrying her wasn’t the right thing to do. They broke up the other day.”

He nearly drove them off the road and into a telephone pole. “You’re shitting me!?”

“I’m completely serious. They broke up and his publicist stressed him out and then he wanted to go drinking. And I talked him out of it and we flew kites at the beach instead.”

Nick whistled lowly. “You are a keeper and he better never let you go.”

She blushed. “Um…thank you, I think.”

“You just keep his ass in line like you’re doing.”

Brielle watched as he slowed the SUV and pulled into a rundown parking lot with cracks in the pavement and a sign that glowed Indulgence but the last e was not lit correctly so really it read, Indulgenc.

“I’m trying to help him out,” she spoke, tearing her eyes away from the horribly decorated exterior of the building and knowing the inside was probably even worse. “He’s dealing with some pretty horrible stuff right now, so it’s hard, ya know.”

“Must have something to do with Renee if it’s sent him here.” Nick maneuvered the vehicle into an empty spot and put it in park.

“I’m sure he’ll tell you all about it once he’s sober.” She studied the dark parking lot. “You do realize I’m not waiting out here for you, right?”

Nick shut the engine off and looked to her. “Is it safe for you to go inside? The place is like a huge smoke cloud.”

“I won’t be in there long and it’s better than sitting out here and being carjacked or kidnapped or worse.” Horrible images ran through her head and she shuddered then unbuckled. “I’m sticking to you like super glue sticks to your fingers.”

“And everything else.” Nick chuckled then climbed from the car and helped Brielle out. Together, the two headed on into the building, the bouncer checking their ID’s before waving them through.

Inside, the air was even thicker than Nick had tried to describe and the blonde felt her eyes stinging from it. She tried to hold her breath, but her lungs had never been that strong and soon were panting for even the poisonous oxygen.

Nick surveyed the scene; a buxom brunette on the stage shaking her thing in the teeniest g-string with star shaped pasties covering her nipples, servers dressed in short skirts and white tees that looked like they were painted onto their bodies were moving amongst the patrons, passing out drinks and collecting tips. And women wearing next to nothing flittered about the room, gyrating their hips in drooling men’s faces and trying to earn every buck they could.

He wasn’t one to be a party pooper and even he found himself enjoying an occasional strip joint every now and then, but at the moment, this place disgusted him. Maybe it was because his buddy was here, slowly trying to kill himself with alcohol poisoning, or maybe it was because of the petite blonde girl who held to his arm like it was her lifeline. She seemed so sweet and genuinely good and the idea of exposing her to something like this was not something he was proud of. Besides, she was having an effect on Alex that no one else seemed to have and he didn’t want to do a thing to mess that up. They needed to find their friend then get him the hell out of there.

“I see him!” Brielle had to shout over the cheap porn music that blasted from the speakers.

Nick turned in the direction she was pointing and spotted the man in question as he slumped over the bar. “Good, let’s grab him and get going.”

Brielle nodded in agreement and followed the tall man around the tables and to the bar. Alex looked like he was passed smooth out with his cheek pressed to the smooth bar top and his eyes closed. “Alex?” She moved up on one side, Nick on the other, and gingerly touched his back.

Alex jerked up and about fell backward right off the stool.

Nick’s hand shot out and grabbed him, righting him again. “Whoa there. It’s just Brielle and me, man.”

“Niiiick,” he slurred, wavering and trying to focus on the other man’s face.

“Yeah, it’s me, buddy.” He pulled his friend’s arm around his shoulder and helped him off the stool. “We’re gonna get you out of here.”

Alex’s legs crumpled and he went down.

“Shit.” Nick used his strength to keep him from falling all the way to the floor and he lifted him up, heaving him over his shoulder. “Alright, we’ll do things this way.”

“Whaddaya think you’re’a doin’?” The older man slurred.

Nick motioned for Brielle to lead the way then fell in step behind her. “We’re leaving, man, and you’re too drunk to walk.”

Alex tried to fight the position Nick had him in, but didn’t have the energy and instead went lax and passed smooth out.

Once he was out, they easily loaded him into the back of Nick’s SUV then headed for his place. Brielle didn’t think it would be a smart idea to take him back to his own place with Denise there, so Nick offered to let them stay the rest of the night at his. He’d drop them back off in the morning, once Alex was awake. He even had a foolproof hangover cure he’d make for his friend in the morning.

By the time they got to Nick’s, Alex was starting to come around again. He mumbled at them both as they helped him into the house and up the stairs to the guest bedrooms.

Brielle thought she had been amazed by Alex’s place, but she was utterly speechless at Nick’s. It was twice the size of Alex’s and spread out over a vast property that contained a large fountain in the center of a circular drive. Just making their way to the hall with the guest bedrooms was making her head spin and she hoped she could find her way back downstairs in the morning.

Nick showed them to one bedroom, depositing his band mate onto the bed. “Okay, he usually sleeps in here. There’s a room right across the hall that you can use; clean towels in the bathroom and help yourself to whatever’s in the kitchen if you get hungry.”

She didn’t know if she could find the kitchen. “Thank you. And thanks for doing this for him.”

“Hey, it’s what we do for each other.”

She smiled. “I know and I’m sure he appreciates it.”

Nick nodded some. “Alright, there’s an intercom system and you can holler at me if you need anything.” He nodded his head toward the wall where the intercom was. “There’s one in your bedroom too.”

“Thank you.” She cast her eyes toward the bed where Alex was rolling off it and mumbling something about needing to take a piss. She watched him head in a crooked path into the bathroom. “I think I’ll just make sure he’s okay before going to my room.”

Nick nodded. “No problem; sleep tight.” He touched her arm briefly before slipping from the room and closing the door behind him.

Brielle watched him go then sighed and sank down onto the edge of the bed. Turning her attention to the bathroom, she noted Alex hadn’t even bothered to close the door. A strange sound came from the other room and her brows drew together. “Alex, are you okay?”

He mumbled a response and her frown deepened. “Alex?” She pushed up from the bed and slipped to the doorway, peeking around the corner and finding him standing in front of the bathtub, shooting a stream of urine into it. She blinked. “What the hell are you doing?”

Alex didn’t even turn in her direction, just continued to release his bladder. “Whas’ it look like? Pissin’.”

She stared at his back with a mixed look of shock and disgust. “And you had to do it there?”

He finished up then tucked himself away and zipped his jeans. “It’s where you piss.” He staggered past her and back into the bedroom.

“You pee into the bathtub? And all this time I thought that’s where you washed yourself.”

“That wasn’t a bathtub,” he mumbled before falling face first into the bed. “Was’a big ass toilet.”

Brielle just stared at him. This was not the Alex she had come to know over the last few weeks. He was like a complete stranger and she didn’t like it one bit.

“Alright, well,” she began, taking up her purse, “sleep tight, I’ll be across the hall.”

He didn’t respond and she crossed the room to the door, pulling it open. Hopefully he’d be back to himself in the morning.

She had just stepped out into the hallway when he mumbled something against the bed. She paused at that. He mumbled again and she slowly slipped back into the room. “Do you need something?”

Alex turned his head to face her and the look of longing and pain in his eyes made her heart ache. “Don’t go,” he finally spoke it clear enough for her to understand. “I nee’ you.”

Wordlessly, she closed the door and dropped her bag into a chair. She moved to the bed and slipped up onto it, settling herself with her back against the headboard. “C’mere.” She reached for him then smoothed a hand over his head once he rested it in her lap.

She couldn’t leave him and she couldn’t be mad at him; not when he looked at her like he had. “I’m here,” she murmured softly, watching as she brushed her fingers through his hair. “You’re gonna be okay, Alex. I know it’s rough, but we’re gonna help you through this.” Then leaning over, she pressed a kiss to his head.

His response was a soft snore.

End Notes:

 

Da da da dum! And the secret is out.

Chapter Twenty-Five by summer
Author's Notes:

Enjoy :)

The first thing Brielle noticed when she woke the following morning was how sore her neck was. She’d fallen asleep sitting against the headboard and her head had fallen to the side sometime during the night. Now there was a kink in it and she frowned, reaching up to massage it some. Sore neck, sore back, swelling feet; not even twenty-two yet and she felt like she was falling apart.

The next thing the blonde noticed was that Alex drooled in his sleep when he was drunk. She had a wet spot on her thigh where his head had been resting. She made a face at it then sighed and gave up being disgusted or annoyed. Besides, the ache in her neck took priority over a damp spot on her pants.

The third thing Brielle realized was that Alex was not in the bed with her. She frowned then noticed the shirt he had been wearing was hanging off the side of the mattress, as were his pants. Peering over the side of the bed to the floor, Brielle’s brows lifted. Alex lay face down on the plush, gray carpet completely butt naked and asleep.

Well, that’s just lovely. She sighed and sank back against the headboard, but not before noting his lower half was free from any kind of tattoos; which was quite a contrast to his back, neck and arms. Not to mention, he had a rather cute tushy. But now was not the time to be admiring his naked form.

Rubbing her eyes, Brielle made a face when she realized her bladder was full. Lately, that’s all it felt like she did; use the bathroom and sleep. A normalcy in a pregnancy all the books proclaimed, but it didn’t make it any less of a pain to her. And if she didn’t get up and get into the bathroom, she was going to have more than one wet spot on her jeans.

Laughing at the absurdity of that thought, she rolled from the bed, stepped over Alex’s naked form and made her way into the bathroom. Shutting the door behind her, she made it to the toilet in time then flushed and washed her hands at the sink.

Catching sight of her reflection in the large mirror, Brielle made a face at her mussed hair and the circles under her eyes. It was important she get enough rest and the events of last night were already taking their toll on her. She was in dire need of a hot shower and a toothbrush. Which made her wonder.

Quickly, she checked the cabinet under the sink and found exactly that; a blue toothbrush still in the package and a small tube of toothpaste. Score! Hopefully, Nick wouldn’t mind that she’d use them and, of course, she would replace them right away. But just having a clean mouth would make her feel so much better.

After brushing her teeth and splashing some cold water on her face, Brielle finally emerged from the bathroom. She was finally starting to come around and now just needed to wake Alex up. However, she found upon entering the room that Alex was no longer laying on the floor where she’d left him nor was he back in the bed. In fact, the only piece of evidence that he had even been in the room in the first place were his clothes that still lay scattered about. Which meant; he was wandering around his friend’s house in the nude. How nice.

And now she had to go find him and try to coax him back into his clothes so they could leave and go back to his place.

Taking up his jeans, she started from the room and glanced down the hallway, finding it vacant. She hadn’t been in the bathroom that long; he couldn’t have gotten very far. And why would he want to wander around naked? That man perplexed her at times.

Shaking her head at that, she began her search, wandering down the hall, whispering his name and peeking into the different rooms. But no luck. Maybe he’d meandered down to the first floor. So she located the stairs and made her way down them. She peeked into a large game room, the family room, a theater and still no Alex. Though the house was big enough, he could be anywhere.

Brielle was just leaving the empty kitchen when a tall brunette with long hair and even longer legs stepped into her view. Both women stopped and stared at the other and the brunette arched a thin brow. She had crystal clear blue eyes and high cheekbones with skin that looked as flawless as fine china.

“Who are you?” She spoke with a slight edge to her voice.

“Um…I’m looking for Alex; he’s a friend of Nick’s. Have you…have you seen him?”

The brunette’s brows drew together as she studied Brielle. “Yeah, I saw him a few minutes ago.”

“Really?” Relief washed over her. “Thank God, I was wondering where he’d gone to.” She glanced around. “Where is he?”

The tall female thumbed behind her. “Um, he was getting into a cab when I was pulling up. So, he’s gone.”

“What?” Brielle’s eyes shot wide. “He…he left?”

The brunette nodded. “Yeah, he was leaving as I was arriving.” A pause. “Who are you again?”

She stared at her in shock. “He left? Are…are you sure it was Alex? Was he um…was he dressed?”

The other girl watched her suspiciously. “I know who Alex is and yes, it was Alex. And of course he was dressed.”

“Can I ask what he was wearing?” She was still clutching his jeans to her chest.

The brunette raised a brow. “Um, clothes.”

Thank god he’d found something to put on. She was half afraid he’d hailed a cab naked. But instead, he had hailed a cab while fully dressed and had left her there at Nick’s. A frown fell over her face as she felt the annoyance and irritation set in. “I can’t believe he left.”

“Who are you?”

Brielle sighed then brushed past the girl and headed for the stairs. “I’m Brielle, a friend of Alex’s and he’s just deserted me and now I have no way to get home.”

The brunette fell in step behind her. “Ooh, you’re Brielle. Nick told me about you.”

She paused at the bottom of the stairs. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, just that you’re having his um…baby. Nick said you seemed like a nice girl.”

Brielle sighed. She hadn’t meant to sound snappy. “I’m sorry; I just had a really bad night and little sleep and now Alex up and left me.”

“Well, if it’s any consolation, he seemed like he still might have been a little bit drunk.”

That didn’t help her at all. “Figures.” She rolled her eyes then began the trek up the steps.

The brunette followed. “I’m Laurel, by the way; Nick’s girlfriend.”

“It’s nice to meet you.”

“You too. Nick told me how horrible Renee was that day she threw that party. I’m sorry that happened; everyone hates her.”

“Renee,” she sighed, “that’s kind of why we’re here…no, correction, that’s kind of why I’m here and Alex is not.”

“Can I ask what happened?”

Brielle was now nearing the bedroom she’d slept in. “He was upset about something with Renee and went out drinking again. Nick and I picked him up and Nick brought us here. And now I have no way to get home.” She couldn’t believe he’d just up and left her and the more she thought about it the more upset she became.

“I’m so sorry; if I had known you were with him I would have said something.”

“It’s not your fault.” She stalked into the room and hurled the jeans at the bed then grabbed up her handbag. “I’ll just call a cab or something.”

Laurel frowned. “Hey, no need to do that. I can take you wherever you need to go.”

Brielle slipped the bag around her body. “You mean that? I don’t want to put you out or anything.”

“You wouldn’t be.” She shook her head, her long, silky locks brushing her face. “Nick never wakes before noon anyway and I’m sure if he were up he’d take you.”

She had a point there. Finally, she nodded her head. “Okay, um, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.”

Laurel smiled and a dimple appeared in her left cheek. “It’s no problem. Do you need to get anything before you go?”

“Nope, I’m good.” She patted her bag.

“Great, let’s roll then.”

Brielle nodded and slipped from the room and Laurel followed her out. Together, the two girls made their way down the hallway and to the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~

Brielle let herself into Alex’s home after Laurel dropped her off. The two had made amicable conversation on the drive over and she found herself taking a liking to the brunette. Laurel had suggested that maybe they get together sometime and they’d exchanged numbers. Despite the sour situation, at least she was making a friend out of it.

“Goodness, I had no idea you were awake,” Denise greeted her as she dropped her handbag on the side table and closed the door behind her.

Brielle glanced over to see Denise sipping a cup of coffee and seated in a chair. “Yeah, I um…went for a walk.” She hated lying to her, but telling her the truth at the moment was out of question; at least until she talked to Alex.

“Oh, well how was it?”

“It was okay.” She slipped her shoes off and glanced around. “Is Alex awake?”

“I haven’t seen him, so I guess not. He must have got in pretty late last night.”

You have no idea, she thought to herself. “Alright, I’m gonna go up and take a shower.”

“Oh, do you want some breakfast?” Denise pushed herself up from the chair.

“No,” Brielle shook her head, her appetite had gone out the window when Alex had stranded her at Nick’s, “but I’ll be down a little later.”

Denise frowned, but didn’t object and Brielle sent her a grateful smile before heading to the stairs and up them. Instead of heading into her room to take the shower like she had spoke, she bypassed it and by the time she was at Alex’s door, she was even more angry and upset than she had been earlier.

She still couldn’t believe he had just left her behind and gone about his way. Unless he hadn’t gone back home and was off at another strip club or drinking more, he better have one damn good reason he had done what he had. Which is why she didn’t bother to knock and just burst into his bedroom. She was going to get her answers.

Alex lay sprawled across the bed with his head buried in the pillows. The clothes he had found and pulled on at Nick’s were in a pile on the floor and his naked form greeted her for the second time that day. Once again it was his rear and this time she ignored it, striding across the room and throwing the dark curtains open so bright sunlight bathed the room.

“Time to get up,” she announced, crossing to the other large window and tossing back that curtain as well.

The figure in the bed gave a groan and wallowed further into the pillows.

“I mean it, Alex.” She opened the blinds covering the balcony door then pushed them apart.

“Go ‘way,” he mumbled in a gravely tone.

“Heh, I don’t think so.” She frowned at him and placed her hands on her hips.

Alex pushed a pillow off the bed in her direction. “I’m tryin’ ta sleep.”

“That’s funny, because I was trying to sleep last night and didn’t get to.”

Alex frowned at her. “Whaddaya want?”

“What I want,” she arched her brows and moved closer to the bed, “is to know why in the hell you left me at your friend’s house today.”

“I didn’t do shit.” Then he flopped back against the covers and turned his back to her.

Brielle felt like grabbing him and pushing him right off the bed. “You are so impossible,” she hissed at him, moving around the bed to the other side to face him again. “Not only are you a drunk, but you’re also an alcoholic and you’re probably still a little bit wasted right now.”

“I’m not a drunk,” he mumbled.

“Yes you are!” She frowned and yanked away the pillow he was hiding his face with. “You got yourself so drunk last night that you passed out! And do you even know the kind of bullshit you were spewing to me on the phone?”

His eyes narrowed and he reached behind him for another pillow. “Get outta my room.”

“I don’t even recognize you anymore, Alex. You are not the person I’ve come to know. You’re a jackass and you lied to me about your drinking problem. Nick told me everything.”

There was a pause and then Alex muttered two words he never would have even dreamed of saying if he’d been sober or in his right mind, “Fuck you.”

Brielle reared back as if he’d struck her. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me.” Then he rolled to the other side of the bed, once again putting his back to her.

She stared at him in shock, disbelieving that he would say that to her. To her. Finally, the anger and frustrations of the previous night rose to the surface and her glare turned icy. “Fuck me, Alex? I don’t think so. How ‘bout fuck you. How ‘bout fuck your woe is me attitude and your damn drinking problem!” Her words were mounting the angrier she became, “I tried to help you last night because I felt sorry for you and this is the thanks I get? Fuck you? Heh, yeah well, you know what…fuck you too.” Then she hurled the pillow she’d yanked away from him right back at him.

Alex turned at that and glared at her. “Get outta my room.”

“I’ll go when I damn well please.” She grabbed up the lounge pants he’d taken from Nick’s and hurled them at him. “I can’t believe that I was having feelings for someone like you! You’re nothing but an asshole who can’t control their damn cravings and get the help you need. You’re so far in denial that you wouldn’t even recognize it if it smacked you in the face!” Grabbing up the shirt she flung it his way as well.

Alex batted the clothes away with ease. His head was pounding, his throat was dry and he felt like he could puke all over the bed. And Brielle’s shrill voice was not helping matters. Half of what she was shouting at him he didn’t comprehend anyway and yes, maybe he was still a little bit drunk, but so what. “Yeah, well, when you kill your child then we’ll talk.”

Her eyes widened. “You didn’t kill your child, Alex,” she spat the words at him. “But you did fucken leave me at Nick’s. And you did lie to me about being an alcoholic. Do you know how dumb I feel for believing you? And for covering for you! I can’t believe you had me lying to your mother! Not anymore, Alexander.”

“You are really starting to piss me off.”

She leveled her gaze with his. “Then how ‘bout I leave and next time you need someone to pick up your sorry ass at a strip club, you call Renee.”

He frowned more at that. He didn’t know why she was getting under his skin the way she was, but at the moment he wanted to yell at her then pull her into the bed and fuck her till she couldn’t see straight. It was like a tug-o-war between his brain and his penis. “Renee hates me,” was all he could manage out.

Brielle refused to feel sorry for him. “I’m starting to see why.” She shook her head. “You’re impossible and I can’t deal with this anymore. I hope you really enjoy your hangover.” Then she turned on her heel and strode from the room, shutting the door hard behind her.

A frown was set deeply on her face and she turned from his bedroom and nearly jumped a mile in the air at the sight of Denise standing three feet in front of her. There’s no telling how long she’d been there or what she heard, but from the expression on the older woman’s face, it was more than enough.

“Denise.” She put a hand to her chest in an attempt to slow her racing heart.

The red headed woman smoothed her shirt. “Brielle,” her eyes shifted to the closed bedroom door then back to the blonde, “what’s going on?”

Brielle wet her bottom lip and studied her. She wasn’t going to lie to Denise anymore; the woman deserved better and she didn’t want to be wrapped up in all the drama with Alex’s drinking. And the anger and hurt she was feeling, she didn’t want to keep bottled up. She needed to talk to someone and Denise obviously wanted to know the truth. Making a decision, she tucked some hair behind her ear then motioned toward her bedroom. “I think it’s time we talked.”

~*~*~*~*~

When Alex finally emerged from his bedroom it was well into the afternoon. His head was still pounding and his stomach rolling with waves of nausea. His conversation with Brielle was on the front of his mind, but he couldn’t remember everything she had said. He knew she was upset and he remembered saying a few inappropriate things to her, but that’s about it. The entire night was a big fog to him and when he’d awoke on Nick’s floor, naked, he didn’t know she had been there. The last thing he could recollect was making the decision to go into the strip club. He would never have taken off and left her there on purpose. She had to know that.

“Well, someone decided to join the land of the living,” his mother’s voice chirped when he shuffled into his kitchen.

“Not in the mood, Ma.” He pulled a mug from the cabinet and poured himself some coffee.

“I don’t care if you’re in the mood or not, have a seat.” She pulled a chair from the table and he knew from her tone and the look in her eyes not to argue.

Sinking into the chair, Alex set his coffee on the table. “I really don’t want a lecture.”

“I don’t care if you want one or not, you’re gonna get one.” She frowned and began to pace back and forth next to his seat. “Drinking again? Getting yourself so wasted that you pass out and forget everything? I can’t believe you’re sunk that low after everything you’ve done to overcome your problems.”

The tattooed man frowned. “Mom, it’s really not any of your business.”

“Not my business?!” She turned to face him. “You are my son; it’s always my business! Do you have any idea how this is affecting Brielle? How it’s hurting your relationship with her?” Her hazel eyes flashed. “She is furious with you, Alexander, and she has every right to be. You lied to her!”

He frowned. “I never lied. I just…didn’t tell her the whole truth.”

She placed her hands face down on the table and came eye to eye with him. “You. Lied.”

“I wasn’t lying.”

“You led that poor girl to believe that you had a handle on your drinking and that you had no issues before. You were in rehab, for pete’s sake! You’re an alcoholic who isn’t supposed to be drinking and you’re out there drinking yourself into oblivion!”

He sighed and slouched in the chair, knowing she was right. And he wasn’t feeling well enough to dispute it or try to make excuses.

Denise sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. “Have you called your sponsor?”

“I don’t need to call my sponsor.”

“You don’t need to call your sponsor? Are you even hearing yourself, son? You nearly drank yourself into alcohol poisoning last night and you leave Brielle at Nick’s then get into a fight with her so big that she doesn’t know if she wants to stay here anymore. And you don’t think you need to call your sponsor!”

His head snapped up at that. “She doesn’t want to stay here?”

“Can you blame her?”

His shoulders drooped and his head ducked. No, he couldn’t blame her. Not after the way he talked to her. “I guess not.”

Denise sighed and shook her head. “You need help, Alex. If you don’t get a handle on this now, then it’s going to get worse and you’re going to be right back where you were ten years ago. Is that what you want?”

“Of course it’s not what I want!” Anger surged through him and he glared at her. “And I am getting a handle on it.”

“Oh really?” Her arms folded across her chest as she met his glare straight on. “Telling her to fuck off is getting a handle on it?”

Alex stilled. “I…I told her that? I know she told me to do the same.”

“You sure did.”

He sighed and put his elbows on the table, hiding his face in his hands. “Shit.”

“You don’t even remember it?”

He shook his head.

Denise sighed and when she spoke again, her voice was softer, “Alex, honey, I know that you care about her greatly and I know you don’t want to run her off,” she pulled a chair out and sank down in the one next to his, “and that’s why you need to get in touch with your sponsor. When you drink, you know that you aren’t yourself and you do things and you say things that you would never do or say sober. But then when you are sober, the hurt and damage from what happened is still there. It doesn’t go away just because the alcohol does.”

He gave a groan and dropped his head into his arms.

His mother reached over and smoothed a hand over his back. “You’re a strong man, Alex, and I have seen you overcome much worse than this. We’ll help get you back on the right track again.”

But he wasn’t sure if he’d ever get there. Nothing would be the same after this and he couldn’t pretend it would be or pretend he was okay. He wasn’t and his sponsor wasn’t going to help whatsoever with what Alex was going through. “I don’t think any sponsor is going to fix my problems, Mom,” he spoke muffled from the crook of his arm.

Denise thought he sounded near tears. “Baby, what’s going on?”

Alex lifted his head and rubbed his face. “I’m in love with Brielle and she wants nothing to do with me and Renee lost the baby because I broke up with her. The stress was too much and she miscarried.”

“Oh…ooh, Alex, ooh no, baby.” Tears filled her eyes.

He nodded and squeezed his eyes shut, pressing his fingers to them.

“Sweetheart, I’m so sorry.” She reached over and took his free hand.

Alex cleared his throat. “I…it’s all my fault.”

“Oh, baby, no it’s not.”

“Yes it is,” he choked out.

Denise sighed and tugged his arm until he looked at her. “Alex, you did not cause this to happen. Yes, it’s a horrible thing, but it’s not your fault.”

“The doctor told her it was the stress.” He was trying so hard not to cry but the tears were gathering in his eyes. “I did that to her.”

“Oh, baby.” She slipped from the chair and pulled him into her arms, hugging him close only the way a mother could. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered, pressing her lips to his head and holding them there.

He mumbled something she couldn’t make out and then he began to weep. Tears streamed from his eyes and wet her shirt and he clung to her like he would when he was a child and his father would tear his spirits apart over and over.

It was a pivotal moment for Alex and once they started, the tears wouldn’t stop. He’d been holding onto too much for too long and everything had crashed together and the dam had finally broken. The tears flowed and Denise held him close and tight, whispering motherly words to try and comfort him.

“It’s not always going to feel this horrible,” she finally voiced louder, smoothing his hair and lifting his head from her chest to look him in the face.

“How did you…how did you handle it?” He was referring to his twin sisters that had been born stillborn when he was just a small child.

Denise sighed. “It’s not something you ever get over, but with time you learn how to cope and accept what has happened.”

Alex pulled away then rose from his seat and took a napkin from the counter. He wiped his eyes and nose then tossed it into the trash. “I ruined her life, Mom. How is she supposed to get over something like this?”

“She’ll learn how to move past it, as will you.”

“I don’t know if I can.”

“I know, sweetheart.” She approached him from behind and gave his shoulder a squeeze. “But you will be able to work through this.”

He pulled away from her. “How do you know?”

“Because I know you and because you’re my son. You can overcome whatever you put your mind to. I’m not saying it will be overnight; both you and Renee have a hard road ahead of you, but I know that in the end, you’ll be okay.”

His eyes shifted to her. “Renee too?”

Denise pressed her lips together and gave a nod. “Renee too.”

He sighed and his mother guided him to the table and back into the seat. “Now, what’s this about Brielle?”

Alex groaned and slouched. “Do we have to talk about this? I’m in so much trouble with her. I can’t believe I up and left her at Nick’s. I …” he sighed and shook his head, “I was still half drunk and my head was pounding and I just wanted to go home and go to bed. I don’t remember her being there.”

“Well, she’s very upset.”

“Heh.” Wonderful, now he had to smooth things over with her yet again. There was definitely a pattern here.

“She has a reason to be, Alex. Your behavior and your misleading and how you talked to her was uncalled for.”

“I really don’t need a lecture, Mother.”

Denise frowned. “She’s contemplating moving out. And unless you want that to become a reality instead of just an idea, you’ll get yourself straightened out and smooth things over with her.” He pouted, but she ignored it. “Call your sponsor, Alex. It’s the best thing you could do for anybody right now.”

“Maybe.”

His mother sighed and watched as he stared into his cup of coffee. It wasn’t what she wanted to hear him say, but it was definitely better than a no. Maybe just a little more persuasion was what he needed. At least she hoped so.

~*~*~*~*~

Brielle carried her fresh laundry down the hall towards her bedroom. After her talk with Denise, the older woman had sent her and Tony out on some errands and then after she spoke with her son, done the blonde’s laundry.

She really owed a lot to Denise. It had been hard to admit that Alex had a problem and had lied to her about it, but she knew it needed to be out there. Denise had taken it in stride, admitting that she had a sinking feeling he was back to his old ways. She did omit the reason for his binge last night, feeling he really needed to be the one to tell his mom. But she told her everything she could. When it was over, both were in tears and hugging the other.

And now, Brielle had a decision to make; go or stay. Alex had a long road ahead of him with the miscarriage, his relationship with Renee and trying to get sober again and she didn’t want to hamper him in any way. Besides, she was hurt and upset and angry and still couldn’t believe his behavior toward her. Maybe they both needed a little space.

The only problem with that was where would she go? She didn’t have her grandfather’s money yet and she knew he would be up in arms if she went all the way back to New York. But right now she felt like she was losing her mind.

The sight of Alex sitting in the glider in her room surprised her and she jerked some, not having expected to see him there. Immediately, her cheeks flushed and she felt like he’d caught her red handed in her thoughts about needing space.

“What are you doing in here?” She questioned him, moving to the dresser and setting the clothes atop it.

“I wanted to talk to you.”

“So now you want to talk?” Her voice was cool, like when you climb from a heated pool and tiny goosebumps arise in your skin at contact with the air.

Alex sighed. He knew he deserved her icy attitude, but it didn’t help things. “I would like to talk to you.”

She began to put the shirts into the bureau. “I’m not interested in hearing your excuses.”

“They’re not excuses.” He rose from the chair.

“I don’t care to hear any more lies either.”

He knew he deserved that one as well, but it didn’t make the sting any less painful. “I’m not going to lie to you.”

“And you expect me to believe that?” She shut the drawer hard and turned to face him, her brows arched in disbelief.

His shoulders drooped. “Brielle, I-”

“Save it, Alex. I’m not interested in hearing whatever you have to say at the moment.” Then she turned on her heel and strode from the room.

He blinked and followed her out. “I’m trying to talk to you. I want to apologize.”

Brielle paused at that, her back stiffening. She stared straight ahead then after what seemed like a long moment, turned to face him. “That’s all you seem to do; apologize. Well, I’m not in the mood to hear it.” She paused a moment and something flashed in her eyes. “I trusted you, Alex,” She spoke, sounding more disappointed and hurt than angry. Then before he could respond, she turned and strode away from him again.

He felt her words slice right through him and watched her go. Well, if she had only been teasing the idea of moving out, after this, she’d probably really do it. He couldn’t let this happen. She was too important to him. He had to make this right. He had to make her trust him again.

Dropping his head into his hands, he slowly sank down onto the carpet. Maybe he needed more help than he realized.

End Notes:

Over the last few weeks I've been doing some thinking on ways to make the fic more interactive and to involve more people. I know at book clubs, people sit and discuss the book and how it makes them feel and what they think about the characters and the choices they make and the plot. So I thought I'd try that too.

I'm going to be posting some discussion questions that you are welcome to answer. And if you have your own questions, please post in a comment and I will gladly answer them. I just can't give anything away about the fic, as much as some of you would love that. ;)

We'll see how this goes and for those of you that already give your thoughts and ask questions, please continue to do so. I'm just trying to add on to the experience. Now, onto the questions.

1. Was Brielle in the right to be so upset with Alex for leaving her at Nick's? Should she forgive and forget because he didn't remember that she was there?

2. Do you agree with what Brielle said to Alex during their argument in his bedroom? Should she have been more forgiving under the circumstances?

3. Move out or stay there? Do the two need some space or should they continue to live together?

And just for fun: what can Alex do to gain her trust back?

Thank you guys and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. :)

Chapter Twenty-Six by summer
Author's Notes:

Finally got some time away from work to get a chapter up for you guys. I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave some feedback. Thanks. :)

Tuesday, December 28th

Dear Journal,

Is that the proper way to start this? Dear Journal? I feel like a 12 yr old girl telling all her secrets to her most precious diary. ‘Today in class, Jimmy Doolan totally made eye contact with me; I hope he asks me to the dance’. Yeah, I wish life was that easy. But I’m not 12, I’m not a girl and this is most certainly not a diary. This is a journal. A notebook of some sorts that I am attempting at jotting my feelings and thoughts down in.

What is the purpose of this thing really? Am I writing to the journal, telling them about all the shit that’s in my head, or am I just writing to be writing as a way to express myself. Or am I supposed to be writing to get it all out so it’ll stop making me want to drown myself in alcohol and forget everything that’s racing through my brain. Brielle told me to write my future. Forget the past and focus on the future. That’s what I should be doing, but my past is haunting me right now and there’s no forgetting that.

I used to be a fuck up. But then, by some miracle, I got myself straightened out. Wasn’t easy by any means. Probably the hardest thing I’ve had to deal with. Until now. I found out three days ago that my ex-fiancée lost our baby. I hadn’t been too excited about the news of her pregnancy to begin with and now I feel worse than ever. Was it my fault? Was this Karma rearing its ugly head and biting me in the ass for all the horrible shit I’ve done? Maybe if I’d been more excited this wouldn’t have happened. My mom says it’s not my fault, but I can’t help but feel it is. She was depressed and upset and stressed with the end of our relationship, which was my doing. And she lost the baby because of it. How is that not my fault?

To make matters worse, as if they need to be considering, Brielle is not talking to me. I don’t think she’s said ten words since our last discussion on Sunday. I was trying to apologize but I guess she’s tired of hearing ‘I’m sorry’. Well, what the fuck does she want me to say? That’s what people say when they apologize and try to show that they are sorry. Because I am. It wasn’t like I woke up on Nick’s floor with drool on my chin and said to myself ‘hm, today seems like a good day to ditch Brie and pretend like I didn’t know she was here.’ I’m not a dumbfuck and I wouldn’t ever do that to someone I loved.

Oh, did I mention, I also told her to fuck off. Well ‘fuck you’ if you want the exact terminology. And something I don’t remember saying, but she and my mother heard me. Seems my mom had been outside the door during the tirade. How nice of her to be eavesdropping. But I digress. So that on top of forgetting her at Nick’s, oh yeah, and lying about rehab, has seriously pissed her off and she doesn’t seem to want anything to do with me.

I don’t blame her. I don’t know if I’d want anything to do with me either. That’s one of the reasons I drink; so I can avoid myself as much as possible. My mom says I’m an ugly and mean person when I’m drinking. I think Brie agrees with her. After Sunday, I may even agree with her. But I don’t know if I’m able to step away from the Jack quite yet. It’s like a life preserver to me and if I let go, I might sink down into the depths of hell and drown.

But Brielle might be leaving. My mom said she was talking about it, wanting to get some space and find her own place. That scares me. What if she leaves and never comes back? What if she leaves and meets someone who sweeps her off her feet and they live happily ever after? What if she leaves and all the feelings she’d been developing for me fade? I don’t want to lose her, but I know I can’t hold on too tightly. Especially after my behavior. I did this to myself, I brought it on myself. I should have done better. I should have known better. I’m the one that booted her to the door and now all she has to do is take a step out it.

I think it scares me to death to think she might take off. I know that I haven’t known her for long or that I don’t know everything about her, or her about me, but she’s been the one person out of my entire life that has had the kind of effect on me she has. Just the thought of her and her sky blue eyes and that dimple in her cheek when she smiles makes my heart skip a beat and I feel instantly calm. Despite my racing pulse, when she’s near, her presence relaxes me. I don’t have to worry about her judging me or using me. She doesn’t care who I am or what I can do; she just likes me for me. Plain ol’ run of the mill Alex who can’t control his temper, tongue or alcohol.

And to think, I might have fucked that all up. That thought nearly makes me puke. I don’t want us to turn into two people who share a child and hate to see one another. I don’t want to put a child between us. I’ve been there and it’s not pleasant. Besides, they usually grow up resenting one parent over another and that’s not something I want for Brie or myself. I need to make this right. I need to earn her forgiveness and get her trust back.

I should have told her about rehab. I don’t know what I was thinking not thinking she would find out. I guess I was in that stage where I felt invincible and she hadn’t seemed to mind when I would drink in front of her, so I pretended I had no problem and there had been no rehab and things were just fine. Until Nick opened his fat mouth and spilled the beans. I try to be mad at him, but realize I’m not. The only one I can blame is myself.

That’s one step in the right direction I think; accepting full responsibility. It’s a start; we’ll see how I do with the rest. There’s only one way to go from here, right? Up. I’m at rock bottom already. So, it can only get better. Least that’s what I’m going to try telling myself. Along with chanting my mantra, ‘I don’t need to drink’. We’ll see how it goes. Wish me luck; I’m going to need it.


~*~*~*~*~

“How are you feeling?”

Brielle glanced up from the yogurt she was eating to see Alex in the doorway of the kitchen. She really hadn’t expected him to be up so early on a Tuesday. But he was already showered and dressed and looked like he’d been awake for hours. Maybe he was having trouble sleeping. Good, he deserved that.

“I’m fine,” she finally responded after giving him the once over and sucking the creamy yogurt from the spoon in her hand.

He nodded and sauntered more into the room. “Um, so, I know you start work next week and thought maybe we could go out and get you some work clothes; I know you said you needed some professional things.

“Actually, your mom already took me shopping. I’m all set.”

Ouch. He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “Okay, well good.”

“Mmhmm.”

Alex took a breath. “Listen, can we talk?”

Her eyes shifted from her yogurt cup to his face. “I told you already that I don’t have anything to say to you.”

“You won’t even let me explain myself?”

“There’s nothing to explain, Alex. You were drunk, you were wasted, you were trying to forget your problems.” She lowered the cup and her spoon to her side. “You were being a coward is what you were being.”

His eyes narrowed. “I wasn’t being a coward.”

She sighed and looked like this conversation was an annoyance. “Yes, you were. Anyone who tries to forget their life and escape it by drowning in alcohol is a coward.”

“I have a problem. It’s a disease, not cowardice.”

“So now you’re ready to admit you have a problem. Are you also ready to get help?”

He frowned and turned away from her. That had been very sneaky and smart of her.

She pressed her lips together then rose from the counter that was supporting her weight. “Yeah, I thought so. Do me a favor; stop trying to talk me into forgiving you. And stop throwing excuses my way; I may be young, but I’m not naïve and I’m not stupid. You need help.” Then she brushed past him and strode from the room.

He watched her go then turned and smacked his palm onto the countertop. They weren’t excuses; he had been drunk. None of what he did was intentional. How could he make her see that? He had it in his mind to go after her and force her to listen. If he could get it through her thick skull, maybe she might actually come around.

But before he could put his thoughts into action, his phone rang. Extracting it from his back pocket, Alex felt his stomach drop at Renee’s name being on the screen. As if he didn’t already have enough to feel horrible about.

“Hello?” He spoke into the phone after answering the call and lifting it to his ear.

“How come you haven’t called me or come by?” Was her greeting in return.

Alex closed his eyes. He really wasn’t trying to ignore her, but the idea of having to see her made his stomach roll and he couldn’t bring himself to pick up the phone. He didn’t want to be reminded over and over about what he’d done to her and the consequences of those actions. “Um, I’ve been busy,” he replied with instead, knowing she’d probably have an aneurysm if he told her the truth.

“So I have to deal with this myself? It’s your fault it happened in the first place.”

“My mom says it’s not.”

“Pfft, what does your mom know? She wasn’t there with me when the doctor told me it was the stress that caused this.”

He wasn’t in the mood for her attitude today. “What do you want, Renee?”

“I want you to come spend some time with me. I’m over here all alone and all I can think about is the baby. I keep having nightmares that it’s happening over and over again,” her voice wavered and he could hear the tears in it.

That’s when the guilt set in. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Have you eaten yet?”

“I’m not hungry.”

His eyes shifted to the phone. “Renee, when was the last time you ate?”

“Sunday, when my mom practically forced it down my throat,” she said in a pout.

“Fine,” he sighed out. “I’ll come over, but I’m bringing breakfast and if you want me to stay, you’ll eat.” Two could play at this game.

“Okay, but no waffles. You know how I hate those.”

“Of course not.” Then he told her he’d see her in a bit and hung up. Good God almighty, today was really trying him already and it wasn’t even nine yet. Just the thought of going to Renee’s was making that familiar feeling set in low in his belly. No, he tried to push it away. He wouldn’t let it control him and he wouldn’t give Brielle the satisfaction of being right. He wasn’t going drink today. He could be strong.

Alex had just gathered his wallet and keys and was tying on his shoes when his cell jingled again. Grabbing it from the coffee table where he’d tossed it down, his brows lifted then he grinned at the name on the screen.

“Hey man, what’s up?” He greeted one of his oldest and dearest friends, Kevin Richardson.

Kevin’s own smile could be heard over the line. “Hey, AJ. Not much, hanging in there, how are you?”

“I’m alright. Can’t complain.” He smoothed his pantlegs over his shoes then rose to his feet. “About to head out. What’re you doing today?”

“Oh, not a whole lot. Kristin’s off on some shoot with a client and I’ve got Mason, so I thought I’d give ya a call. See how you were doing since we last saw you a couple weeks ago.” He had been referring to that crazy night when Renee had tried to pull a quick one over on him, but been very unsuccessful.

“Oh sweet. How are the wife and son doing?”

“The same as always. Though Mason wants to know when you’re going to come visit. He says he hasn’t seen you in for-ev-er.”

The way Kevin pronounced that made him chuckle. “Well, you tell him that his Uncle Alex will try to be over to see him real soon.”

“You better mean that.”

“Hey, I’m a man of my word. I’ll be over there sometime soon to visit. And I’ll bring him a little something.”

“We’re not letting him wear anymore of those temporary tattoos, so you can forget that.”

Alex laughed. Last time he’d visited the Richardson’s he’d given Mason a whole pack of temporary tattoos and the boy had gotten them all over, from his forehead to his neck to his cheek to his stomach all the way to his feet. It hadn’t been too harmless, except he’d pitched a fit when they’d finally started to wear off. Then he kept insisting he wanted ones that would last for-ev-er.

“Okay, no tattoos.”

“And no chocolate. I don’t want him climbing the walls.”

Alex chuckled. “Alright, no tats and no chocolate. I’ll bring him a squirt gun and he can run around shooting his dad in the ass.”

“Hardy har.” Kevin laughed low at that. “I have an idea though. How ‘bout you and Brielle come over for dinner next weekend.”

The younger man paused. “Um, well I’d love to, but Brielle and I aren’t exactly on speaking terms at the moment and I don’t know if she’d go for that.”

“Uh oh, what happened?”

Alex sighed. “It’s a long and complicated story.”

“What’d you do now?”

“Hey, why do you assume that I did something?”

Kevin chuckled. “Who am I talking to again?”

He frowned. “It’s not always my fault, you know.”

“Yeah yeah, so whose was it?”

Alex paused then ran a hand through his hair, giving a low chuckle. “Um, mine.”

“So, I wasn’t far off.”

“Do you want to know what happened or not?”

Kevin chuckled. “Right, sorry. Are you actually gonna tell me?”

“No,” he shook his head, “I’m not ready to talk about it yet.”

“I see.” He paused a moment. “Are you doing something you shouldn’t be doing?”

Alex eyes shifted to the phone. “What makes you ask that?”

“Oh, I don’t know, Aje; Brielle’s mad at you and you won’t tell me what happened. Where do you think my mind’s going?”

He frowned. “We just had a spat, I’m sure we’ll smooth things over. I’ll call and letcha know about next weekend, but I gotta run before Renee has my head.”

“Alright, man, you just take care of yourself.”

“I will, you too, bro.” Then he lowered the phone and severed the call. Well that had been interesting. He half wondered if Kevin had been calling to fish around for information. Maybe he’d heard something or maybe he’d talked to Nick, which Alex really hoped hadn’t happened. But he didn’t have time to mull over Kevin’s real reasons for calling; he had breakfast to pick up and an ex fiancée to attend to. It was enough to make his head hurt and his mouth thirst for a drink. But he could be strong; he had to be if he wanted Brielle to stick around.

~*~*~*~*~

“How are you feeling, honey?”

Brielle glanced over from the peanut butter and jelly sandwich she was making to see Denise entering the kitchen. It was a couple hours after her small discussion with Alex and she had the strangest craving for PB&J. Normally, she wouldn’t touch the stuff with a ten foot pole, but this baby was making her eat things she hated. It figures her child would be the one to like peanut butter and jelly and scrambled eggs with extra pepper on them. Yuck.

“Craving some of the grossest food,” she responded with, making a face as she spread the jelly over the face of the bread.

Denise chuckled. “You don’t like PB&J? I think you’re the first person I’ve met that doesn’t like that. It’s a kid classic.”

“I’d never let my mom make it. But I just have this craving. My baby is going to love this stuff and I’m going to have to make it for them.” She shuddered then set the knife aside and grabbed the bag or regular Lay’s chips.

“And what a wonderful mom you will be.” The older woman smiled then seated herself on a barstool across from the blonde.

Brielle smiled at her. “I hope so.”

“Well, you’ve done a good job with trying to take care of my son.”

“Heh, I don’t know about that. I think I was tricked, because I wasn’t taking care of him. Your son is self destructing.”

“I know, and I want to help him so badly, but he has to be the one to take the first step.”

Brielle began placing the plain potato chips on top of the peanut butter on the bread. “I don’t know if I’m going to be able to stay here much longer.”

Denise pressed her lips together, forming a thin line. “I understand that,” she finally spoke; her voice low and filled with sympathy. “I don’t want to tell you what to do, but I know that if you leave him, he’s only going to get worse.”

“So I’m supposed to hang around because if I leave, he’s going to drink himself to death? That’s not fair. Guilt tripping me isn’t going to help either of us.” She rolled the chip bag up and set them aside then put the two halves of her sandwich together.

“Oh, sweetheart, I’m not trying to guilt trip you. I just want you to be aware of what your actions will do.”

“Well, he should have thought about that before he started drinking again.” She grabbed a napkin then slid the plate containing her sandwich across the counter to an empty stool. “I just don’t think being here right now is a good idea. I think it’s only hampering things and I think we both need some space. Alex has serious issues he needs to work through and I need to step back from the situation,” she explained. “I feel like the wool was pulled over my eyes and now it’s gone and I need some time to think everything over and he needs some time to get over what happened with Renee and the whole alcohol thing.”

Denise watched as Brielle moved around the counter and joined her on the other side. “I can understand that.”

“I think, if we want to be able to come together and raise this child together then this is something that needs to be done.” Not to mention, she really needed some time away from him so she could decipher her own feelings. She was getting too close to Alex too quickly and it really scared her. The time apart would do them both some good.

“Where are you going to go?” Denise interrupted her thoughts.

“I don’t know.” She mulled it over then took a big bite of her sandwich.

Denise studied her a moment. “Well, Tony and I are leaving on Thursday. You’re more than welcome to come back with us and stay awhile.”

Brielle chewed her bite then wiped her mouth with a napkin. “Oh gosh, I really appreciate that, but you guys live in Florida and that’s so far away. I know I want space, but I don’t know if I want to be across the country. Besides, I start my new job on Monday, so I have to be somewhere close.”

“With all that money your grandfather left you, you still want to work?”

“Of course. I don’t know when I’ll get the money and I don’t want to spend it unwisely or blow through it too fast. Besides, working gives me something to do and I want to meet more people and feel like I’m earning something myself.”

The older woman smiled. “That makes a lot of sense.”

“I thought so too.” She took another bite of her sandwich and waited until her mouth was empty before continuing, “Though I think for the weekend, I might go back and visit Lily. I really miss her.”

“This weekend?”

“Yeah, I could leave Wednesday or Thursday and be back Sunday. Once I start working again, I don’t know when I’ll get to see her. Besides, I’d be spending New Year’s Eve in New York City. It’s amazing to be there for that holiday; nothing you can even begin to describe until you experience it.”

“Well,” Denise sighed some, “if you really feel you need to go, then I’ll buy your ticket.”

Brielle blinked. “Oh gosh, you don’t have to do that. I couldn’t accept it.”

“You can and you will.” She touched the younger woman’s shoulder. “I want to do it for you.”

“Alex isn’t going to be mad that you helped me?”

She frowned some. “What I do with my money is not my son’s business and he has no room to be angry. You’re only doing what you feel is right for you. Besides, it’s just a weekend visit. It’s not like you’re moving back there.” A beat. “Which you better not be doing.”

She chuckled low and shook her head. “No, I’ll stay here. It’s just a visit.”

“I think I can deal with that.”

Brielle smiled some. “I’ll come visit you sometime.”

“I hope you do. Maybe you and Alex could come together.”

The younger female tilted her head, picking at the crust of her sandwich. “I don’t know. We’ll have to see how things go. If he doesn’t get himself help then I’m not sure what kind of a relationship we’ll have with each other.”

“You’re not going to make amends unless he gets help?”

“I can’t let him think that I condone his behavior. Since I’ve gotten here, I’ve helped him hide his drinking from you and covered for him and I can’t do that anymore.” She pushed the remainder of her sandwich away, the craving for it gone completely. “He needs to fix himself and if I continue to make it seem like I’m okay with it, then he won’t.”

“Honey, you can stay here and not be okay with his behavior.” She reached and touched the blonde’s shoulder.

“No,” she shook her head, “staying would be telling him it’s all okay. And it’s not, Denise. It’s not okay for the way he treated me and how he lied to you and how he’s trying to drink away his problems. It’s not okay that I feel these things for him. And in turn he acts this way.” Tears threatened her eyes and she turned away from the other woman.

Denise frowned some at the anguish in her voice. Oh, she so badly wanted to tell Brielle that Alex felt the same way and it was right there, right on the tip of her tongue, but she knew it wasn’t her place. Alex wouldn’t appreciate it and who knows the kind of drama it’d add to the mess. Hopefully the two would be able to come together because they really were good for each other.

“So, you’re going to stay away until he stops drinking?” She studied the other girl. “You think that kind of an ultimatum is a good idea?”

Brielle sighed and took a long moment to gather her thoughts. She felt like she was all over the place and wasn’t portraying how she felt clear enough for anyone to understand. “I’m not going to give him any ultimatums,” she finally spoke, turning to look at Denise. “But I think some time apart will be good for us. It will let Alex figure out how he feels and deal with what he’s going through with Renee without any added pressure. I think that taking myself out of the equation will help ease his stress and he won’t have as big a craving to drink himself to death.”

“I think I understand.” She sighed some. “Just don’t cut him out of your life during that time entirely. He really needs you, Brielle. And I don’t say that to guilt you or try to talk you out of doing it. I say it because it’s the truth. He does so much better when you’re around.”

She couldn’t help but smile at that; she seemed to feel better when he was around too. And if they both wanted things to stay that way, then this was something that needed to be done. She just hoped she wasn’t making a mistake.

End Notes:

Please leave me some feedback on your thoughts on the chp. I've noticed over the last few chapters that the feedback has been dwindling and it just makes me wonder if the story isn't entertaining enough or going in a direction you don't care for. Your reviews are so appreciated and they do motivate me, and right now I need all the motivation I can get. Thank you, guys. :)

Chapter Twenty-Seven by summer
Author's Notes:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback! It really did motivate me. Enjoy this next one. :)

Brielle arrived back in New York City on Wednesday evening. True to her word, Denise had purchased her ticket then taken her to the airport. She didn’t get a chance to see Alex before she left because Renee had him once again wrapped around her pinky and he was spending nearly every waking moment over at her place. But she had left him a note and Denise said she would speak to him. Brielle felt some guilt at taking off without a proper goodbye, but it was just for the weekend and she had waited around for him Wednesday morning to no avail. It wasn’t like she wasn’t making an effort.

Lily had been ecstatic to see the blonde again and wrapped her in a hug so tight Brielle thought her ribs were going to crack. Then the two had spent the rest of the night talking girl talk like the old days, so to say. Her friend didn’t bring up Alex that night and she was grateful for the break from trying to explain her thoughts and actions. It was nice that Lily seemed to understand that and instead filled her time with pictures and magazines and notebooks and information on the wedding.

Thursday they spent most the day visiting different bridal shops. Lily wanted to get a good head start on the bridesmaid dresses and since Brielle wasn’t sure when she’d be able to come back, they had to take advantage of every opportunity they could get. So Brielle tried on dress after dress until Lily decided that none of them had anything she was happy with and they finally headed for home, but not without stopping for some non-fat frozen yogurt.

Brielle teased her friend about becoming a bridezilla and Lily mused that maybe she would have the dresses made instead of store bought. She just needed a pattern or a color or a style that she liked. Then once they were back at the apartment, it was Brielle’s turn to pull out the books and the two looked up the week of Brielle’s pregnancy in her books and her brunette friend gushed about how exciting and wonderful it was.

“I can’t believe your little tummy!” Lily exclaimed as they lounged in her living room, the baby book across the brunette’s lap. She had made her friend pull her shirt taut over her tummy to expose the small rounded bump of her belly.

Brielle chuckled. “Little? You call this little? No way, this is huge and it’s only going to get bigger. I’m gonna be as big as a cruise ship!”

“Aww,” Lily giggled low, “you’re going to be adorable. I hope I can make it out to Cali in time when you give birth.”

“I’m not giving birth. Between now and June they just have to figure a way to transport the baby out of my tummy and into my arms.”

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s going to happen.” She chuckled then turned to the pages of the pregnancy book. “Okay, it says here that your baby is about the size of an orange. Aww, that is such a cute image; how precious!”

“Are you picturing my baby as an orange?”

“No,” Lily quickly responded with then engaged herself in reading the paragraph about the baby’s growth out loud to her friend, “Her ears have migrated to the sides of her head, and her eyes are moving to the front of her face. Plus, your little smarty-pants can now wiggle her fingers and toes and make breathing movements in preparation for life outside the womb. How amazing is that?”

Brielle couldn’t help the grin that was on her lips. “It’s pretty amazing,” she agreed.

Lily read a few more paragraphs from the book then looked to her bestie. “Are you hoping for a boy or girl?”

“I hadn’t thought about that yet.” She smoothed her shirt some and peered to her belly. “I don’t think I really have a preference right now.”

“Really?” Then she seemed to rethink her statement and nodded. “Well, yeah, I can understand that. You just want a healthy baby. Boy or girl doesn’t matter; you’re still going to love them the same.”

“That’s right.”

“You need to start thinking on names. Ooh, do you have a baby name book yet? Darn,” she snapped her fingers, “I wish I had thought about that while we were out, we could have picked you one up.”

Brielle chuckled, feeling all warm inside at her friend’s excitement. It was nice to be around Lily again and she could feel the vibes coming off her and knew it was already helping her mood. This trip had been a great idea. “I have time; I’ll get some, I’m not worried.”

Lily nodded then closed the pregnancy book and set it aside. “Next time we go out, we can get some.” Then she shifted her long legs and stretched out on the sofa. “Want to know the names I have picked out for my future children? But you can’t steal them.”

“I’m not going to pull a Rachel,” she teased, referencing the popular television show from the late 90’s, Friends.

The brunette chuckled. “Alright; well I want three kids; two boys and a girl. I want to name the boys Oliver Jordan and Gavin Jacob. And the girl will be Eve Noelle.”

Brielle smiled. “Those are very beautiful names. What happens if Jordan doesn’t like them?”

“Pfft, when he pushes something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of his nostril, then he gets a say in it, but until then…it’s all my choice.”

She laughed. “So you think I shouldn’t let Alex have any say in the name of our baby?”

Lily shifted to her side and rested her head on her hand, her elbow propped up on the sofa. “That’s up to you. You might want to start discussing names now though, because if you two vary at all on the sort of names, there might be a slight problem.”

The blonde made a face. She hadn’t thought about that yet. “What if he wants to name the baby something like…Esme or Nico?”

“Believe me, I’ve heard worse.”

She sighed and sank into the back of the lazy boy recliner she occupied. “Well, if I had to pick a name right now…I kind of like Grace for a girl and…” she tilted her head and her eyes drifted toward the ceiling in a thoughtful manner, “and…Aidan for a boy.”

Lily smiled. “Those are nice; I’m sure Alex will like them.”

“But what if I don’t six months from now? What if I’m all set to name the baby Grace or Aidan and then suddenly he or she is born and I hate that name?”

“Honey, the names aren’t set in stone until they’re in the birth certificate and even then I think you have a few days to change it.”

“I hope at least it’ll be something they won’t grow up hating.”

“I’m sure it won’t be. You’re going to take that into consideration when you decide on one.”

She nodded then pushed the thoughts from her mind. “Okay, we don’t even know if it’s a boy or girl yet and we’re already freaking out over names.”

“You are freaking out here, not me.” Lily pushed herself into a sitting position and swept her long hair behind her shoulders. “But okay, no more baby talk or baby name talk or wedding talk.”

“That sounds good.” Brielle glanced around the room. “We could make up some ice cream sundaes and watch chick flicks for awhile.”

“We could,” Lily tilted her head and studied her friend, “or you could tell me what’s going on with you and Alex that sent you running all the way to New York.”

The blonde shrugged a bit too quickly. “Nothing’s going on.”

“Right, I wasn’t born yesterday you know.”

She sighed. “What makes you think something is going on?”

“Because you called me Wednesday morning to tell me you would be on a flight that same day. Not to mention, it’s New Year’s Eve weekend and you’re not going to be spending it with the father of your child; you know, the man you’re in love with.”

She made a face. “Do we really have to talk about it right now? I’m having such a good time and I don’t want to ruin it by getting upset or unloading all the crap in my head onto you.”

“Oh, Brie, you know that I never mind when you talk to me. But we don’t have to discuss it tonight, just as long as it’s not something you’re trying to avoid or hide from.”

“Believe me, I’m not the one hiding anything,” but as she spoke the words, she only wished it were true.

~*~*~*~*~

Thursday bled into Friday and Brielle spent the late morning out at the store with Lily buying all the things they would need for the New Year’s Eve party she and Jordan were throwing that night. They threw a get together every New Year’s Eve and lucked out that they were only a stone’s throw away from all the festivities at Times Square. So they got to participate in the fun without being out in the cold or crowd.

It was then, as they were getting ready for the party and Jordan was off buying more champagne for the midnight toast, that Brielle let her guard down and told her friend all that had transpired over the last few days. She told her everything, from Renee’s miscarriage to Alex hiding his rehab stay from her to his drinking and then their huge argument after he’d ditched her at his friend’s.

Lily took it all in stride, listening intently and empathetically and without judgment. She finally told her friend that it sounded like she was making the right decision. Brielle needed to look out for herself and her baby first and foremost and if the drama with Alex was causing any stress then she needed to find a way out. She had faith in Brielle and in both of them as a couple and knew they would work it out. Just let everything calm down and once she could look at the picture rationally then she might be able to face him. Just don’t write him off, she had instructed the blonde.

It wasn’t until Brielle was in the shower later that day that she really let herself think about him again, on an aspect that was more than his recent behavior and all the lies. And she found herself missing him greatly. Even when they were together, he wasn’t the Alex she had fallen in love with. Why couldn’t he just get over this whole drinking thing and get back to the way he had been? Why was all of this so difficult?

She didn’t have those answers, but she sure wished she did. It would make everything so much easier. She didn’t want to write him off and she had no intentions of doing that, but she couldn’t be around him if he was going to get drunk every time something came his way he didn’t think he could handle. Having children was a situation like that in itself and the last thing she wanted was the father of her child going off to a bar because he didn’t know how to handle his own baby.

Gah, why was this so difficult and why hadn’t he called her yet. After she took off and only left a note, she half expected a phone call, but he hadn’t even done that. Was he that upset with her? Or was he already writing her off? Did he think she’d given up so he was too? Or maybe he was too busy drowning himself with Jack Daniels to even care.

That thought angered her and as she got dressed for the party and did her hair and makeup, she was stewing in her anger and just glad he wasn’t around to be on the receiving end. Well, if he didn’t seem to care about her then why should she even bother trying. Sure, she couldn’t drink at this party, but it didn’t mean she couldn’t find some kind of fun to keep herself entertained. Afterall, wasn’t that all he had been doing since they met?

“Brie, you ready?” Lily poked her head into the guest room and her eyes widened at the sight of her friend. “Wow, you look amazing!”

Brielle glanced down to the black dress she wore and smiled. She had to agree with Lily; she did look good, damn good. Her hair had been quite cooperative today and was clipped up with some loose trendils down and curled and her clear blue eyes were even more clear and blue with the eye makeup she’d applied. Not to mention the dress; which hugged her curves in all the right places and was cut just high enough to be sexy and not slutty. The small bump of her pregnancy showed, but the way the dress hung and being black, did make her look a bit smaller.

“I mean it, Brie, you are stunning.” Lily had entered the room and was now just looking her over. “Too bad Alex isn’t here to see what he’s missing. Hey, I should take a picture and send it to him.”

The blonde snorted. “You’ll do no such thing. I’m not even going to think about him tonight.”

“I can’t blame you, but he is going to hate himself when he finds out what he’s been missing.”

She took up her perfume and dabbed some behind her ears and at her cleavage then her wrists. “He’s not going to find out. I’m not telling him and you aren’t either.”

“What a party pooper you are. I woulda liked to see him tugging the collar of his shirt and trying not to get all hard as he looked at the picture.”

Brielle frowned and laughed despite herself. “Stop it, Lil.”

Her friend chuckled. “Alright, alright. Will you come help get the punch poured into the big bowl? Jordan’s still in the shower and our guests will be arriving any minute now.”

“Of course.” Brielle capped the perfume then set it down and followed Lily from the room.

They got the punch poured with no problems and within moments the guests began arriving. When Lily and Jordan first began throwing their annual shin dig it was only a few of their closest friends and it was before the two girls had even met. Now, five years later, the party goers had multiplied to about forty people, the size of the apartment the only reason it wasn’t any bigger. The finger sandwiches had turned into a full blown buffet and there was a champagne toast at midnight. Though in Brielle’s case, sparkling cider.

So far the party seemed a big hit; music flowed from the speakers at just the right volume and the furniture had been pushed all to one side so people could dance in one corner. Jordan had set up his game system and at the moment, a group of his work buddies were in a heated game of Wii Football. Brielle didn’t know the majority of the people, but she chatted and mingled with the ones she did know and introduced herself to the ones she didn’t.

Everyone seemed to want to know about the baby and Brielle found herself giving as little information as she could get away with. She just wasn’t in the mood to discuss who the father was and when it had happened and whatever other inappropriate questions they’d come up with. No one seemed to notice the slim tidbits she would give and were satisfied enough with what she did say.

Lily would flit between the different groups of people as she played the merry host, checking to make sure her guests were all satisfied and no one needed anything. She managed to spend a few minutes with Brielle, and apologized that she couldn’t hang out more, but she had hostly duties to attend to. Brielle thought Jordan should have been playing host a little more instead of getting drawn into the Wii Football tournament. But Lily didn’t seem to mind and she didn’t want to cause any waves or give her friend any ideas.

She managed to have a good time though. But as the minutes ticked away closer to midnight the determination she had to forget about Alex and enjoy herself was starting to ebb away and she was left with emptiness inside and a longing to have him near. Maybe coming to New York had been a bad idea, because at the moment all she wanted was to be wrapped in his arms tight as he whispered comforting things into her ear and made all her pain and worries go away.

Brushing some locks of hair from her face, she turned away from the window where she’d been watching some of the Times Square festivities and her now cloudy blue eyes shifted to the clock on the wall. 11:25; just 35 more minutes until the new year and the time you were supposed to start fresh and leave the past behind. Unfortunately, she wouldn’t get to do that this year. Oh well, there was always 2012.

Just then Lily appeared at her side. “How ya doing, hon?”

Her shoulders hunched and she didn’t even try to disguise the pain in her voice, “I miss him, Lily.”

“Aww, Brielle.” She wrapped her arm around her friend and gave her a squeeze. “Why don’t you call him?”

“He probably wouldn’t answer the phone.”

“You don’t know that. I bet he would; he adores you.”

Brielle shook her head and wiped a stray tear from her cheek. “He’s probably with Renee,” she spit the name out like it was poison. “He hasn’t bothered to call me, he doesn’t care anymore.”

“Hey now,” Lily gently steered her friend to a quiet corner, well as quiet as could be considering, “you and I both know Alex a little better than that. That man looks at you with so much love and admiration in his eyes, that you taking off to New York for a mini vacation isn’t going to make him change his mind.”

“Maybe not, but the way I treated him and talked to him and refused to let him explain himself will.”

“I doubt that.” She squeezed her friend’s arm. “He loves you as much as you love him.”

She cut her teary eyes her way. “What?”

Lily’s look didn’t waver. “You heard me; that man is head over heels in love with you and you’re as head over heels in love with him.”

“I…no,” she shook her head, feeling her hands starting to tremble and the beat of her heart speeding up, “we aren’t.”

“You are, honey, and you can deny it until you’re blue in the face, but it isn’t going to change anything. I think part of this whole problem is that you two aren’t admitting it, instead you’re hiding and disguising it by drinking or taking a mini vacay to New York.”

Brielle frowned and took a hesitant step back. “You’re wrong; I came to New York so we could have some time apart. Not to…hide from anything.”

“Sometimes you forget how well I know you, Brielle. You-”

But she wasn’t hearing anymore. Instead, she turned to escape from Lily and pushed through the crowd before running smack dab into a hard chest. She would have surely stumbled back and fallen had strong hands not grabbed her arms and righted her back on her feet.

“Whoa, you alright?”

The voice sent a chill straight down her spine. Slowly stepping back, with his hands still gripping her arms, she brought her eyes up to his face and felt her heart slide right down into her shoes. Alex McLean was standing right before her and she surely thought she was dreaming.

“Brielle?” His brows drew together at the look on her face. “Are you alright?”

That snapped her from the shock that was settling over her body and she pulled from his grasp. “What…what are you doing here?”

Alex stood straight and wet his bottom lip, his eyes darting the room then returning to her. “I…wanted to see you.”

“You thought you could just show up here?” Anger wasn’t how she had wanted to react, but she felt like she’d been backed into a corner and that was the only way out. Besides, he had caught her at a vulnerable moment and she didn’t want him to see it.

“I wanted to talk to you. And it wasn’t a conversation we could have over the phone,” He added quickly before she could retort that he should have called.

“Now is really not the best time to talk,” she motioned around the room, “can’t you see there’s a party going on and there isn’t a quiet spot in the place.”

He shrugged. “We’ll find one.” Then he reached for her arm again. “Please talk to me.”

Brielle wanted to pull away and demand good reasons on why she ought to. But instead, she found her defenses going down and allowed him to lead her through the room filled with party goers and to the front door. She caught Lily’s eye on the way and frowned at her friend who only sent back a smirk and then they were out in the hall heading for the elevator before she could respond.

Once they were inside the elevator, Alex let the doors close and the box begin its descent before he reached and pushed the red stop button.

Brielle blinked and her eyes widened. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Finding a quiet place.”

“You can’t just stop the elevator. People might need to use it.”

He shrugged like it was no bother to him. “They can use the stairs.”

She sighed then moved and leaned against the far wall. “Alright, you found your quiet place to talk…so talk.”

“Are you going to drop the attitude?”

That made her frown. “Hey, you have no right to talk to me that way.”

Alex let out a breath and rubbed his eyes. “You’re right; I’m sorry,” he apologized then looked at her again. He studied her a moment and neither spoke until he shoved both hands into his pockets and hunched his shoulders. “I’ve missed you.”

She wasn’t really sure what to respond with. “You couldn’t tell me that on the phone? You had to fly all the way across the country to tell me you missed me?”

“No, there’s more, but I had to start with something.” She didn’t respond, so he drew a breath and continued, “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you, about us. And I can’t just let you leave being so angry with me.”

This time she spoke up, “Are you going to apologize again?”

“No,” Alex shook his head and took a step closer to her, “I know you don’t want to hear that. But I am going to tell you that I haven’t had a drink since Sunday. It’s killing me, but I haven’t done it. And I’ve been writing in my journal, every day, sometimes two times a day.”

“Oh, that’s really great, Alex, I’m proud of you.”

His eyes searched her face. “Are you? Or are you not going to be happy until I call my sponsor?”

Instead of getting angry like he expected, her eyes filled with sorrow and a sliver of hope. “I just want you to get the help you need.”

“You’re all I need, Brielle.”

She felt her heart skip a beat. “What?”

He took another step closer. “I’ve been going crazy not having you around and it’s only been a few days. I don’t know what I’d do if you were gone a week or more.”

She wasn’t really sure what to respond with, so she didn’t.

Alex moved even closer until he was standing right in front of her. “I’m going out of my mind without you around. I’ve tried so hard not to drink and it’s taken all of my willpower not to do so.” He reached out and gently brushed his fingers over her cheek. “You’re my strength, baby, and without you around things are so much harder. I don’t know how much longer I can go on before breaking down and having some JD.”

She studied him, seeing the truth of his words shimmering in his eyes. “Are you trying to convince me to go back home with you?” Her voice came out in an unintended whisper.

“No,” he responded with his own whisper, brushing some stray hair behind her ear. “I’m just putting all my cards on the table. I need you more than you realize and without you around I’m going crazy. I’m so scared I’m not going to be able to stay strong. I don’t think either of us realized the effect you have on me until you left me.”

“Alex, I-” Brielle started to say, searching her brain for any kind of anything that might make sense at the moment. “It was only a weekend trip; I’m going to be back on Sunday.”

“I can’t wait that long.”

Brielle was rendered speechless. She wasn’t sure what to make of all of this information and her head was spinning too fast to really comprehend her own thoughts. “What…are you saying, Alex?”

He wet his bottom lip and his hands sought out hers, bringing them to his chest and holding them close and securely. It was now or never; if he didn’t say it now he didn’t know if he ever would. “I’m saying that,” he hesitated, faltered, but then gathered his courage and came back strong, “that I’ve fallen in love with you and I need you in my life, Brie. I don’t want you to move out and I don’t want you to find some Prince Charming who sweeps you off your feet. I want you to be happy with me; the messed up, can hardly keep my head on straight, screw up of a man that I am.”

Inside her chest, her heart was hammering away and making the pulse in her neck throb. “Alex…I…I…it’s just a weekend.”

“I know and I’m not saying I don’t want you out here visiting. I just don’t want you to come back to California and move out and away from me. And I couldn’t wait until Sunday to talk to you.” He reached and touched her cheek. “That’s how much you mean to me and that’s how badly I need you.”

Brielle just stared at him, taking it all in. “I…are you being for real here?”

“Of course.” He chuckled low at the way she worded it then sombered up again. “You feel something for me, right? Please tell me you do, because if you don’t then I’m going to walk right out of here and to the nearest bar.”

She frowned at that. “Don’t say that.”

Alex took her hands again. “I can’t lose you, Brielle. And I know you don’t want any apologies, but I’m so sorry for my behavior and how I acted with you.”

“Oh, Alex,” she sighed softly as tears began shining in her eyes. How could she stay so upset at someone who was laying his heart on the line? She couldn’t keep him at a distance, not when she needed him as much as he needed her. He was definitely trying not to drink and that was a step in the right direction. But did he really mean it? That question burned in her brain.

“Why are you doing this?” She finally forced herself to ask. It was beautiful; his words, his demeanor, everything about the moment, but she had to know what was the real reason. She’d only regret not asking if she let him persuade her to forget what had happened and fell into his arms.

“Because I want you back,” he spoke the words softly. “I don’t want to lose you.”

She stiffened and slowly drew back from him until her back was pressed against the side of the elevator. “You’re…doing this so you don’t lose me? That’s why you haven’t been drinking?” A pause as if realization was finally setting in and then a frown creased her brow. “You’re not doing it because you want to?”

Alex hesitated and that was all Brielle needed. She crossed to the opposite side of the elevator and put distance between them because she knew she wouldn’t be as strong if he stroked her cheek or took her hands in his. “I can’t believe this. Are you just spewing things off to try to convince me not to leave? Do you even mean what you say, because right now I’m not so sure I believe you.”

“Yes, I mean it!” He frowned at her. “My feelings for you are real, Brielle. I’m not trying to talk you into my bed, or some shit like that.”

“No, you’re just trying to talk me into not moving out.”

“I’m trying to tell you that I need you,” he enunciated the words slowly for effect. “I’m stronger with you around. If I’m going to stop drinking, I need your support and I need you there for me.”

“Do you want to stop drinking, Alex?” She needed an answer. The future of their relationship hung on it.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“It’s a yes or no question.”

“Okay, yes, yes, I want to stop drinking! Are you happy now?” His eyes flashed and his shoulders became stiff. “I put my feelings out there and you just cut me to the quick. I was speaking from my heart and the only thing you can ask me is if I want to stop drinking. How the fuck do you think that makes me feel?”

“Like going and getting smashed?” She shouldn’t have said it, and the minute it left her mouth she immediately regretted it.

Alex reacted with a growl and he punched the red emergency stop button to start the elevator moving. “Fuck this shit, I don’t need it. That’s the last time I put my feelings on the line for anybody. Tell a woman how ya feel and they kick you in the balls. You really know how to hurt me when I’m already down, don’t you?”

Brielle frowned. “You’re acting like a hormonal teenage boy. Would you just calm down some and we can talk rationally?”

“Taunting me about drinking is not talking rationally,” he retorted with.

She sighed. “I know and I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said it. Alex,” she reached out and took his hand, “I just want you to get better. And I don’t want you doing it because you don’t want to lose me. I want you to do it because you want to and because you want to get better as much as I want you to.”

His eyes cut her way. “I do want to get better. It’s just so damn hard and there are going to be times I stumble. It’s not a cakewalk, every minute can be a struggle and this last week has been a big one,” as he spoke, his body turned to face hers fully. “I just want you to see how much you do for me; even just your presences calms me and helps me get by. That’s one of the many reasons I don’t want you to move out.”

Brielle wet her bottom lip. “Even if I do, I’m still going to be there for you. I want to help you as much as I can and so does everyone else who loves and cares for you.”

“I just don’t want to lose you,” he muttered softly, reaching for her again, but this time in a strong need to be held and comforted.

Brielle moved into his embrace and wrapped her arms around him. He smelled like musky cologne and cigarettes and it felt so nice to be close and feel him surrounding her. “I’ve missed you,” she spoke muffled into his chest. She was ready to take a break from the conversation and knew he felt the same way.

“I’ve missed you too, baby.” He kissed her head and held her tighter.

The elevators gave a ding and the doors slid open to reveal the lobby. Brielle pulled back and tucked some hair behind her ear. “How ‘bout we go back to Lily’s and get my coat. Did you get a hotel room close by?”

“Well, it was a little hard considering it is New Year’s Eve, but there are a few perks to being a celebrity.” He chuckled low and glanced toward the lobby, the echoing shouts of the countdown to midnight drifting into the lobby. “Hey, six seconds until New Years.”

Brielle slipped from the elevator, Alex behind her. “I hear them.” A smile lit her face and she looked out the large glass windows of the lobby to the crowded street before it.

Alex slipped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him, a tiny grin tugging at his lips. “Four,” he counted with the crowd. “Three.”

“Two,” Brielle joined in.

“One,” they spoke together and their eyes met. And then as the crowd exploded and cheered, fireworks going off and confetti flying through the air, he bent his head and his lips met hers.

The kiss was soft and warm and made her heart flutter. She found herself wrapping her arms around his neck and returning it with as much emotion as he was giving her; the heat and chemistry between them undeniable.

“Happy New Year,” Alex spoke softly after breaking contact and lifting his head. He pressed his lips to her cheek then her temple before resting his forehead against hers.

Brielle smiled at that and smoothed a hand over his cheek. “Happy New Year, Alex.” Maybe 2011 wasn’t starting out so bad after all, sure, there was still a rough road ahead and quite a bit to talk about, but they'd work it out. At least she hoped so for both their sakes.

End Notes:

Just wanted to thank everyone for stepping up and leaving some feedback. I was able to write most the chp the day following my last update. So please, continue to let me know your thoughts and feelings. I know some aren't happy with the direction and I still welcome those reviews. :) Thanks again!

Chapter Twenty-Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, work is really taking a toll on me. But I was off today and able to get a chp done. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks and enjoy! :)
The Crowne Plaza hotel at Times Square was normally just a ten minute walk from Lily’s apartment building. With the massive crowd and partying that was going on, it took Alex and Brielle nearly half an hour to make it to the hotel. Once inside his warm and toasty room, she discarded her thick pea coat and draped it over the back of a chair.

Alex had been able to acquire a one bedroom suite with full amenities and a television larger than any she’d ever seen in a hotel before. The balcony overlooked the city and all that could be seen for miles was confetti being whipped around in the chilly air and a sea of people.

“It’s amazing, huh?” Alex moved up behind her and smoothed his hands over her shoulders.

“It’s wild,” she responded with, staring out at it for a moment before snapping from her thoughts and pulling away from him. “I should be in bed; it’s past my bedtime.”

“Oh, well, there’s a bed in the bedroom.” He nodded toward the room just behind the blonde.

She eyed him with her piercing blue eyes. “I don’t think us sleeping in the same bed together is a very good idea.”

Alex shoved his hands into his pockets, his shoulders hunched forward in a demure manner. “I can take the couch.”

She tilted her head as if she were debating the issue then sucked air through her teeth and shook her head. “No, I’ll go back to Lily’s; just let the crowd clear out. I just figured we could come back here and have some privacy and talk some more.”

“You didn’t like the elevator, huh?”

“Yeah, not exactly my idea of private or comfortable.”

Alex chuckled some. “So um, do you want something to drink? There’s a mini bar.”

It was on the tip of her tongue to ask if it was stocked with liquor, but she held it back. “No, I’m okay.”

But it was like he could read her mind. “I had ‘em take out the alcohol before I signed in.” He moved to the small fridge and pulled out a bottled water. “Though they refilled it with Red Bull; which honestly, probably isn’t much better.”

“Yeah, that stuff is gross.” She made a little face then sank down onto the plush couch, feeling like it was enveloping her in the soft fabric and she was sinking into a cloud.

Alex joined her, but chose the chair across from her. He opened his water and fiddled with the cap though he didn’t take a drink. His leg was bouncing in a quick manner and she would have reached over and held it still if she could have reached him. But the couch was too comfortable and she didn’t have the energy to move.

“So, what do you wanna talk about?” He finally questioned after the silence drifted over them both and made the pulse in his neck throb harder than it already was. He had thought things had gone well in the elevator; at least they’d ended well. But she was pregnant and hormonal and a woman at that, who knows what they were thinking most the time.

Brielle sighed and studied his face for a moment before speaking, “I’m glad you’re here; despite being angry and upset with you, I really did miss you.”

He had to smile at that. “I’m glad I’m here too. I wanted you to be my midnight, New Year’s kiss.”

“So that’s the reason you came.”

He opened his mouth to snap back a response but then quickly closed it when he realized she wasn’t serious. Chuckling, he finally took a sip of his water then lowered the bottle. “You got me.”

She smiled. “Yeah, I know your number.”

He sent her a charming grin then sighed and set the water bottle on a table to the side. “So, what are you thinking?”

Brielle sighed and wiggled some on the couch to get even more comfy, if that was possible. “Honestly, I’m a little confused and very caught off guard.”

“What are you confused about?”

She watched him, her eyes studying his face and he shrunk into the chair, feeling small under her scrutiny. “Why the sudden change of heart?”

“Change of heart?”

“Three days ago you didn’t seem too interested in giving up your drinking. What suddenly changed your mind?”

Alex sighed and leaned forward in the chair. “I do want to give up drinking; but sometimes there are things going on that make it really hard. Like this whole thing with Renee. Brie, you have to understand that for someone like me, giving up alcohol is not a simple ‘okay, I’m not going to pick up another drink’. It’s a long, hard and always ongoing process I have to work through and deal with.”

“That’s why you need all the help you can get.” She slipped her shoes off her feet and pulled her legs up onto the couch with her. “Your friends, family, sponsor…AA meetings. You need to reach out to every mean possible.”

“I know.” He nodded then hung his head in defeat.

Brielle drew her bottom lip into her mouth and held it between her teeth. It was taking all her willpower not to slip from the sofa and cradle him in her arms. The expression on his face was so sad and his body language, despondent. But she stayed put, knowing right now they needed to talk and get answers, not cuddle and say everything was going to be okay. “Does this mean you’re going to get help?” She finally questioned.

He brought his eyes to hers and she saw the fear and disappointment he had in himself in them. “For you, I will.”

“No, Alex,” she gave a frustrated sigh and lowered her feet back to the floor, rising from the sofa and smoothing her dress over her midriff, “you’re supposed to want to do it for yourself, not for me. Don’t you get that? You should want to get better, you should want to overcome this disease.”

“I do want it for myself.” He frowned some. “But I want it for you too, and our baby. I don’t live my life for just myself anymore, Brie.” He too rose to his feet. “I live for you and our child and you can’t tell me I should only want to get better for myself. I want to get better for you and the baby, too. What kind of a man would I be if I didn’t? Do you think I want to cause you this stress? Do you think I want our child to see me like this? So yes, yes, I’m doing it for me, but I’m also doing it for the both of you. And you can’t tell me not to.”

Tears shone in her eyes. “You’re right,” she finally relented. “I’m sorry. It shouldn’t matter your exact reasons as long as you want to get better.”

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you, sweetheart.” He offered up a half smile then held his arms toward her. “Now, c’mere.”

Brielle crossed the room and melted into his embrace, her own arms winding around his firm body and holding him close. She closed her eyes and pressed her face into his chest and savored his familiar scent, relishing in his warmth and the way his arms felt wrapped tightly around her.

The two didn’t speak as they clung to each other and neither knew how long they stood there locked in the embrace. It could have been ten minutes, it could have been an hour; time didn’t seem important. All that mattered was this moment as if the rest of the world had faded away, leaving only Alex and Brielle and the emotions they were feeling.

It wasn’t until the two had finally separated and Brielle had gone off to use the bathroom that Alex realized just how late it was. Pulling his phone from his pocket, he sent a quick text to Lily telling her not to worry about Brielle and he’d have her back before lunch. Then he’d taken an extra pillow and a couple blankets and made up a temporary bed on the couch for himself.

Truth be told, he wanted to join her in the bedroom and hold her the whole night through, but somehow he didn’t see her going for that. And he really didn’t want to mess anything else up for them. In the past, Alex had never put too much thought into how he went about a relationship. He was a ‘fly by the seat of your pants’ kind of guy and whatever emotion he was feeling at the moment, he went with. But this girl was way different than his past ones and none of those relationships had ever worked out well for him, so he knew he needed to try a different approach. He had too much to lose if he fucked up and he wasn’t willing to take the gamble.

So he would take the couch and she would sleep in the bed and he’d be happy enough to just dream of her. Until he got himself back on the right track and then…well she better watch out, because he’d be damned if he let her slip through his fingers.

~*~*~*~*~

“So let me get this straight; he took you back to his hotel room and you two didn’t have sex?”

Brielle frowned over at her friend. “That wasn’t the reason we went back there, Lily.”

“Well, yeah, I know, but c’mon, Brie, the opportunity was right there. Why didn’t you take it?”

“Um, because unlike some people I know, we aren’t going to just jump in bed together.”

Lily arched a brow and her eyes drifted down to the small bump of her friend’s stomach. “What’s that? Come again?”

Brielle gently shoved the brunette. “He has issues he needs to work through and I don’t want to rush anything.”

“Rush anything?” Lily sat back straight again. “He told you he loved you and he wants to be with you? He’s obviously ready, so how is that rushing anything?”

“He has issues, Lily,” Brielle spoke it with a ‘duh’ tone. “He’s not going anywhere and neither am I, so once things settle down and he’s able to work past this, then we’ll see where that leaves us.”

Lily shook her head some. “I think you’re being a fool, Brie. I understand wanting to take things slow and I can understand being slightly cautious as he deals with this alcoholism thing, but he is the best thing that has ever happened to you and he’s in love with you and he wants to be with you and you could at least throw the poor guy a bone.”

Brielle’s brows rose. “By having sex with him?”

“No, but you could tell him how you feel. He was honest with you; maybe it’s time to be honest with him and yourself. Maybe if he knows how you feel then it’ll help him get better faster, cuz he’ll have something to work toward.”

The blonde sighed. “I don’t want him to think I’m accepting or okay with what he’s been doing, because I’m so not.”

“I think he’s well aware of your position on things.”

She shifted her eyes toward her friend. “What am I supposed to say to him?”

“That you love him and that you know he can get through this and that you’re going to be there every step of the way with your love and support.”

“You really think it’ll help?”

Lily gave a slight shrug. “I think it’s worth a shot. I would think you’d be willing to try anything right now to help him.”

“I wouldn’t be saying it just to help him.” She frowned some. “I’d tell him because I want him to know how I feel.”

“And do you?”

Brielle chewed the corner of her lip. “I don’t want to mess anything up, Lil. That’s what I’m really worried about. I don’t want us to discover that we aren’t a good couple together and ruin it for our baby. And I don’t want to get my hopes up about something only to have them smashed to bits. Besides, he’s dealing with so much on top of his drinking and I don’t want to add to the stress.”

“And if you let it pass you by then it’ll be too late and someone else will be standing in your shoes and you’ll hate it, but only have yourself to blame.”

“I don’t know if I’d go that far.”

Lily shrugged. “You never know. If you don’t at least meet him halfway then eventually he’s going to move on or meet someone else. Or think he’s not good enough and go back to Renee,” she added as an afterthought.

That made the blonde shudder. “What should I say?”

“Speak from the heart. Tell him what you feel and tell him what you’re afraid of. He can’t help you if you don’t let him.”

“Him help me; he’s the one that needs the help.”

“I don’t mean that kind of help. But if you tell him what you’re afraid of he will be able to help you there.”

Brielle sighed. “Maybe.”

Lily pursed her lips and it looked like she wanted to say something more, but that was the moment her fiancé and Alex waltzed back into the apartment. They had been out procuring snacks and goodies for the football games they were intent on watching that afternoon.

“Hey, hey, we have returned,” Jordan announced as he dropped the brown paper sack onto the counter and shrugged out of his wool coat.

“Hope you kept the home fires burning,” Alex chimed in as he too removed his winter wear. He then slipped up behind Brielle and stuck his chilly hands on the sides of her neck.

Brielle jerked and pulled away with a squeal. “You’re freezing!”

“And you’re nice and warm.” He laughed and slipped onto the sofa, reaching and pulling her back into his arms. “You can help warm me up.”

Lily chuckled then rose from her spot and excused herself to join her fiancé.

Alex chuckled and wrapped his arms tighter around the blonde. “I didn’t mean to run her off.”

“I don’t think you did. Lily doesn’t ever get ‘run off’.”

“Good.” He peeked to her face. “Were you two having some girl talk?”

“We were.” She allowed herself to rest back against his chest. “I was telling her about your charade with the elevator from last night.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Mmhmm,” she nodded, “Lily and I tell each other everything.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard women do that kind of thing.”

“We do.” She smoothed her fingers along the sleeve of his shirt. “She thinks we’re good for each other.”

Alex stilled at those words and felt his heart skip a beat. “What…um, what do you think?” He tilted his head to see her face better, feeling himself teetering on the edge of what her next words might be.

“Um…well…” Brielle shifted just slightly in his arms to face him more. Her own heart was beating faster against her ribcage and she couldn’t believe they were going to be having this conversation with Lily and Jordan just feet away, but it had presented itself and she’d taken it.

“Yeah?” He wet his bottom lip ever so slightly and watched her with those brown eyes of his that always seemed to give away what he was feeling.

“Well, I think that-” but she was interrupted when the sound of his cellphone came from his pocket.

Damnit! He wanted to ignore it, or snatch it from his jeans and hurl it across the room, but he didn’t. Brielle was already pulling away from him and so he withdrew it and winced at the name on the screen. Renee. Figures. Fucken figures.

“Are you gonna answer that?”

Alex glanced over to the blonde and gave a sigh. “It’s Renee.”

She wrinkled her nose then blinked at that action and motioned to the phone. “Well, answer it. It might be important.”

Nothing as important as the conversation they had been interrupted with. But despite that thought, he took the call and lifted the phone to his ear. “Hello?”

“Alex, where are you? I’m standing outside your house right now.”

What the hell was she doing at his house? He shifted his eyes toward the phone. “Um, I’m not at home.”

“Well, duh, I’ve gathered that much. I’ve been knocking for ten minutes and I know you wouldn’t just ignore me. Where’s your spare key? It’s not under the flower pot anymore.”

Suddenly he was very grateful he’d decided to change the location of the key after their break up. “I moved it. What are you doing at my house?”

“Waiting for you, you doofus. When are you coming home?”

Alex cut his eyes over to Brielle, who was watching him with slight curiosity. “I won’t be home until Sunday night.” He had already planned to fly back with Brielle and even booked them two first class seats together, upgrading her coach one his mom had gotten her.

“Sunday night?! Where are you? How could you take off without telling me? I need you, Alex!”

Her shrill words hurt his ear and he had to pull the phone away from it some so as not to go deaf. “Renee-”

At the mention of her name, a shadow passed over the blonde’s face and she rose from the couch and joined Lily and Jordan in the kitchen. Alex gave a groan and didn’t even seem to hear his ex fiancée’s high-pitched words as she ranted at him for leaving her in LA while he went off to do God knows what at God knows where.

This is why he had been drinking so much; because she was a damn nuisance and he couldn’t take it anymore. It was either pick up a bottle and drink or pick up a bottle and smash it over her head and he knew he couldn’t do that. Violence against women was something he frowned on, even if she was the woman. And the more she yelled and lectured him the stronger the urge to have some Jack Daniels became. Soon his mouth was dry for the potent liquor and his hands were trembling.

Not having a real chance to interject into the one-sided conversation Renee was having, he rose from the couch and made his way into the kitchen. Jordan was working on getting a chip platter set up with some dip and Lily and Brielle were talking in hushed whispers in the corner.

They both looked over as he came in and one look at his face and Brielle’s annoyed expression turned into one of deep concern. She pulled away from Lily and moved to his side, taking his arm. “What’s wrong?”

Without saying a word, Alex handed over his phone then turned and strode back into the living room.

Brielle blinked some, caught off guard by that action then turned her eyes to the phone. She could hear Renee ranting and it made her heart hurt at the pain she was putting Alex through. If she weren’t pregnant she’d like to show Renee a thing or two about hurting someone. But she couldn’t and she wouldn’t. But she could do this. And with that, she pushed the off button and severed the call. Then she turned the phone off, set it on the counter and followed the same path Alex had taken.

She found him out on the balcony overlooking the busy street below. He was leaning against the railing with a cigarette in one hand and his lighter in the other. He didn’t hear her come out or even realize she was standing there until she was next to him. Then he jerked in surprise and quickly snuffed the cigarette out, despite the desperate need to have it and three, four, five or six more.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” she spoke softly, reaching a hand out and smoothing it over his back. It was chilly outside and her breath was coming out in visible puffs.

“I can’t take this anymore, Brie, I really can’t.”

“You need to just cut her out of your life, as horrible as that sounds, for your sanity and health.”

He blew a puff of air from his mouth and shook his head. “If I don’t do that I’ll do something I regret. But I don’t know if I can; she lost the baby and the guilt of it being my fault is eating me up inside. I can’t just…sever all ties with her.”

“Then it’s time you put your foot down and told her how it’s going to be. No more letting her walk over you or control you or make you feel bad about things you can’t control.” Her hand continued to massage his back lightly. “She needs to know she has no power over you and you need to make her see that.”

“It’s not that easy.”

“Would you like me to do it?” She tilted her head some and from the look on her face he knew she was serious. “I’ll tell her how it’s gonna be.”

“Yeah right, you two would attack each other if I let you in the same room together. No,” he turned and brushed his finger at the tip of her nose, “you and Renee are staying very far away from each other.”

Brielle wasn’t swayed in his attempt at lightening the situation. “Then you need to talk to her. And don’t tell me you can’t because I know you can. I know you can put your foot down when you need to, I’ve seen it.”

He sighed and looked off for a moment then finally returned his eyes on hers. “I don’t have my kite.”

“Did you bring your journal?”

Alex nodded.

“Then go write in that, see if it helps you sort your thoughts and feelings out.”

“Okay.” But he didn’t move.

Brielle watched him. Was he waiting for her to do something? “What?”

Alex shook his head then reached and pulled her to his side, his arm going around her shoulders. “Thank you.”

She smiled then steered them both toward the door back into the apartment. “You’re welcome. I also shut your phone off so she can’t bother you anymore.”

He nodded and pressed a kiss to the top of her head before lifting his own and frowning. “Gosh, it’s freezing out here and you’re outside with no jacket on.” Quickly he ushered them inside then rubbed both her arms. “Sit and we’ll wrap you in a blanket. I’m sorry; I wasn’t thinking clearly enough to realize that earlier.”

“Alex, I’m okay,” she chuckled low and allowed him to guide her to the couch and down onto it, “it was just for like two minutes.”

“Two minutes too long.” He pulled a blanket from the back of a chair then wrapped it around her and tucked it around her legs. “How’s that?”

“Better.” She smiled and would have touched his cheek had her hands been free. “But don’t worry about me, go write in your journal.”

“It’s at the hotel. I don’t want to leave you.” Concern was etched on his face.

She didn’t want him to either, but she knew he needed to do this. Get it out now or suffer the consequences and those with Alex were very, very bad. “I’ll be okay. I’m good with Lily and we’ll watch the football game. You won’t be gone for too long anyway. Right?”

He shook his head. “Of course not.”

“Then go.” Her hand slipped from beneath the blanket and squeezed his arm.

Alex studied her a moment then finally sighed and nodded. “Okay,” he relented then took hold of her face with both his hands and kissed her forehead. “I’ll be back.”

“I’ll be here.” This time she did touch his cheek then watched as he finally stood and moved off to the kitchen to gather his belongings and tell their hosts his plans.

A few minutes later, Lily returned to the room with a steaming mug of hot cocoa. She tucked it into her friend’s hands then sank down next to her on the couch. “So, did you tell him?”

“Not yet.”

“When?”

Brielle peered into the mug then blew gently to cool the liquid some. “Soon. When he’s not having a meltdown from Renee or jonesing for a drink.”

“Might help him, you know.”

The blonde turned to her friend. “How is that going to help him? It’s only going to add more stress. He’ll be worried about what I’m thinking if she comes around or how it’s going to affect me if she guilts him into spending time with her. I don’t want to do that to him.”

“Or it might give him the strength and courage he needs to really end things with her.” Lily arched a brow. “You never know.”

No, she didn’t know. She didn’t know if it’d be more bad than good either. But she had already resigned herself to tell him and she would. Soon. When the right moment came. If Renee didn’t keep messing things up for them. She would tell him. Maybe once they got back to California. Maybe. Soon. One day.
End Notes:
Please continue to leave your thoughts. I really need the motivation with all that's going on in my life at the moment.

And I'm starting to make a list of names for the baby. Boy/Girl I'd love to hear some suggestions so let me know! Thanks! :)
Chapter Twenty-Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
So sorry about the delay. Hope you enjoy this chp. :)
Alex did indeed return to Lily and Jordan’s apartment within a couple hours and Brielle could tell from just one look at him that he was feeling better. She’d been snuggled on the couch under a blanket watching the ball game when he’d joined them then slipped onto the couch next to her and slipped beneath the blanket with her. Immediately, her heart settled as she peeked to his face and saw the relaxed look in his eyes. He’d met her gaze and offered a smile then brushed his lips over her forehead.

It was a small act, but it told Brielle everything she needed to know. He’d gone back to the hotel room and written in his journal then come back and joined them. He hadn’t made any side trips to bars or liquor stores and he wasn’t drunk. That had filled her with a warmth she couldn’t explain and she’d snuggled closer to him, their legs intertwining together and their bodies close and cuddled. And that’s the way they had stayed for the rest of the day.

And now it was Monday morning and Alex was dropping Brielle off at her first day of work. Upon their arrival back to his place on Sunday, Renee had been nowhere in sight. The blonde was so relieved because she didn’t have the patience to put up with the horrible woman. She’d be liable to say something she couldn’t take back and make the situation even worse than it already was and no one needed that happening.

Alex told her over breakfast that morning that he was going to stop by Renee’s and have a very serious conversation. He knew it was time to sever things once and for all and he wasn’t going to let his ex guilt him into anything. The miscarriage had been horrible and he did feel at fault, but he couldn’t let Renee treat him the way she was and he couldn’t let her hold it over his head. If she was angry at him, so bet it, but they both needed to move past the situation and look ahead, not back.

Brielle, of course, loved the idea and suggested the two go out to dinner after he picked her up. They could celebrate her first day at work and his first day of true freedom. He liked that idea and agreed to make reservations somewhere nice. And somewhere nice indeed. Somewhere he could sweep her off her feet the way he wanted. Maybe tonight would be a pivotal moment in their relationship. Alex knew she had her reservations, but there was no denying the look in her eyes or the smile that lit her face when the two were together. She loved him; he was damn sure. And maybe once Renee was out of the picture completely, they would finally be free to explore what was going on between them. At least he hoped so.

So after dropping her off at the studio, wishing her luck on her first day and promising not to be late to pick her up, he started across town to Renee’s house. The sick feeling in the pit of his stomach had been there since he’d woken and told himself today would be the day. But now as he drew closer and closer to her residence, the feeling grew worse and soon was taking over his entire body. Could he really do this? Was he strong enough? Whenever Brielle was around, he certainly felt that way, but on his own he felt weak and insecure and afraid. And when he felt that way, he would begin to second guess himself.

Maybe this was a bad idea. She was going to have a fit and who knows the kind of guilt trip she’d lay into him with. Maybe the best thing was just to go home and avoid her phone calls. But Brielle’s face flashed through his mind as he pulled into Renee’s drive and cut the engine. She’d be so disappointed if he backed out of this. Sure, she might not voice it, but she would be. And he didn’t want her to feel disappointed when it came to him. Alex wanted to be everything and more for her. He wanted to carry the world on his shoulders with no problems if that’s what the sweet blonde wanted. So he could do this.

But as her face faded from his mind, that doubt began to creep back up and the sick feeling in his stomach gripped his entire body. Maybe he really didn’t have the strength. What was he doing? Renee was only going to laugh at him and make him feel like the dirt on the bottom of her shoe. He couldn’t do that to himself.

Alex was just reaching for the key in the ignition to start the SUV back up when his cell sounded from the passenger seat next to him. Reaching and scooping it up, he checked the ID but didn’t recognize the number. Frowning a bit, he pressed the button and held it to his ear.

“Hello?”

“Alex, it’s me,” Brielle’s voice came over the line and a warmness seeped into his chest.

“Hey, is everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything’s great,” he could hear the grin in her voice. “I was just calling because I thought you might need a little encouragement before your talk with Renee.”

That made his heart skip a beat. “How did you know?”

He imagined the tiny grin on her lips and wanted nothing more than to take her far, far away from all this drama with Renee. “Just a feeling. I know we talked a little bit ago, but I wanted to call and tell you that I know you can do this, I believe in you,” her voice pulled him from those images.

“Well, I’m really glad you called. I was about to chicken out and go back home.”

“Oh gosh, please don’t do that. You can do this, Alex. Just take all those feelings you have inside; all the hurt and anger that you’ve been trying to push aside and draw on that when you feel like you want to tuck your tail between your legs and run away. Don’t let her knock you down; you’re so much better than she is.”

He couldn’t stop his smile. “You’re an amazing woman.”

“I just want you to be okay. I hate how she makes you feel so insignificant and at fault for everything. Her losing the baby wasn’t your fault. No matter how upset you made her. It’s just the way life goes sometimes. There’ll be good times and they’ll be not so good times and that was just one of the not so good times.”

“You’re right.” He wet his bottom lip. “I can do this; I’m going to do this. I can’t put up with her shit anymore.” He peeked his eyes to the phone. “Thank you.”

The soft smile was evident in her voice, “You’re welcome. And if you need to talk afterward, you know where to reach me.”

“I don’t want you to get in trouble for taking personal calls.”

Brielle chuckled. “All I have to do is say your name and they about fall over themselves trying to come find out how you are and what you’re up to. I don’t think I’m going to get in trouble if you call me.”

“Alright, babe. I’ll call you later and I’ll see you at five.”

“You better; this baby and me are gonna be pretty hungry.”

He smiled at that. “No worries, I’ll take good care of you both.”

“I know.” The line fell silent a second. “Alex?”

He sat up a little straighter in the seat at the tone of her voice, his heart giving a sudden hard thump against his chest. “Yeah?”

Brielle hesitated then gave a soft sigh over the line. “Good luck.”

Alex pressed his lips together and gave a nod. “Thank you. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Okay. Bye.”

He echoed her goodbye then tossed the phone down. Had she been on the verge of telling him how she felt? It had certainly seemed that way, but then she’d chickened out and as much as he didn’t want to be disappointed, he couldn’t stop it from happening. But did he seriously want her to admit it the first time on the phone? In person was so much better, the phone was so impersonal. Yet, that little bit of sadness didn’t want to go away.

But what was he doing trying to analyze their conversation? He had other pressing matters to attend to and one of those was Renee. Taking a deep breath and sending up a prayer, he finally pulled the keys from the vehicle then gathered his belongings and slipped from the SUV. He could do this; Brielle believed in him. He just wished he could believe it too.

~*~*~*~*~

“You did a great job today, Brielle.”

Brielle turned from where she was collecting her purse to see Mr. Lockwood, her boss, standing at the desk. He was a tall man with distinguishing blue eyes and a head full of thick, dark hair. He was the manager of the studio and his day had been chock full of appointments and meetings and faxes and phone calls and Brielle had been running her feet and fingers off trying to keep up with him.

“Really?” She shut the drawer she’d tucked her purse into and set it on the top of the desk. “I felt so lost and overwhelmed trying to learn the phones and your schedule and how to work the fax and the copier.”

Mr. Lockwood flashed a brilliant smile. “Of course really. It takes a couple days to fit in and learn it all, but you were excellent. I’m glad to have you on board with us.”

She found herself returning a smile. “Good, I think I’m going to really like it here. I had fun today despite the ache in my feet.”

Her boss chuckled. “You’ll feel like you’ve been here forever in no time.” He motioned toward the door that would take them to the hall. “You on your way out? I’ll walk with you.”

“Sure.” She stood and slipped her handbag over her shoulder. “I want to thank you again for giving me the opportunity.”

Mr. Lockwood waited until she joined him then took her elbow in a gentlemanly way, guiding them both from the office. “Well, it’s my pleasure. You’re going to become quite an asset to the team, I do believe.”

“You think so? Even though I’m just a receptionist?”

“Hey, every job here is as important as the next. Do you know how lost I’d be if I didn’t have an assistant? Who would field my calls and make my appointments?”

“True.” She chuckled then strolled with him down the hall toward the double glass doors that would lead them from the building. “Thank you for lunch.”

“Oh, I always buy my staff lunch on Mondays,” Mr. Lockwood replied with. “And on Friday’s we have casual dress; so you’re allowed to wear jeans as long as they don’t have rips or tears, or hang so low there’s nothing left to the imagination.”

Brielle laughed. “Oh, no worries there.”

Mr. Lockwood flashed another smile. “Good.” Then he pushed the front doors open and motioned her to go ahead.

The blonde thanked him then slipped outside into the sunlight and pulled some sunglasses from her purse. She slid them on and scanned the parking lot for the black SUV Alex drove. Unfortunately, they hadn’t talked again after their conversation that morning on the phone. She hadn’t had much time for lunch and when she did eat, she joined some of the other team in a board room as they ate the food Mr. Lockwood provided.

Brielle really did think she was going to like working there. The employees seemed really nice and her boss had made her feel welcome from the get go. The job itself didn’t seem too difficult and she was sure she’d have it all figured out by the end of the week.

“Where are you parked?”

Her boss’ voice drew her back to the present and she turned to him. “Oh, I don’t have a car yet, but there’s my ride right there,” and she motioned toward the Porsche idling off to the side. She didn’t want to tell him who was driving the Porsche because then he might want to go over and talk to Alex and she was getting pretty hungry. Besides, she didn’t want to spring someone on him and make him feel obligated toward anything that Mr. Lockwood might suggest. He’d already hinted at wanting Alex and the rest of his group to do some recording in his studio.

“Oh, no car?”

“Not yet, but very soon.” During that short lunch break, Brielle had also made a call to her grandfather’s attorney and he was going to be sending her some information and paperwork for her to look over and get started with in order to acquire the money. The attorney figured it’d only take a matter of weeks before they’d be able to transfer the accounts into her name.

“Okay, well,” he touched her arm just above her elbow, “have a good night and I’ll see you in the morning.”

“You too.” She smiled and nodded. “And thanks again.”

“You’re quite welcome, my dear.” Then he turned and headed toward where his vehicle was and she strolled over to the SUV.

Alex climbed from inside and met her at the passenger side of the Porsche. “Hey, how was your first day?”

She smiled and wrapped her arms around him in a warm hug. “It was great! Everyone’s so nice and Mr. Lockwood is great. He seems really understanding and chill and if I mess something up, he doesn’t get all upset.”

“Aw, that’s great, Brie.” He returned the hug and kissed her head. “Who was that man you came out with?”

“Oh, that’s my boss, Mr. Lockwood.” She chuckled low. “I woulda introduced you, but he would have probably tried to convince you to buy some studio time and I didn’t want to spring that on you.”

Alex chuckled some. “That’s alright; I can meet him some other time.”

“Yes,” she pulled back and took his hands in hers. “And I talked to my grandfather’s lawyer and he’s gonna send me the paperwork I need to get the money into my name. Mr. Hiller, that’s his name, said it should only be a matter of weeks.”

Alex couldn’t help but grin at the light in her eyes and the excited expression on her face. “That’s wonderful, babe.” He pulled her in and kissed her forehead. “I’m glad you had a good day.”

“Me too.” She giggled low and squeezed his hands then her face grew serious. “So um, how are you? You never called me today.”

Something passed over his eyes and she knew the talk with Renee hadn’t gone well. “How ‘bout we head on out of here first.” He pulled from her and opened her door.

Brielle frowned slightly, not liking the feeling of worry that was starting to spread through her. “Sure.” She moved to the SUV and slipped up inside.

Alex shut her door then moved back around to his side and joined her inside the vehicle. Then he waited until they were both buckled and pulled from the spot, heading for the exit onto the main roadway.

“So, um, did you make reservations anywhere?” Brielle spoke up, cutting through the thick silence that had already fallen over them both. She hated the tension that was suddenly there and wanted to push it all out the window.

“Actually,” he glanced to her then turned his attention back to the road ahead of him, “that’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

Uh oh. The conversation with Renee must have gone very badly. “Okay.” she smoothed her black pencil skirt and rested her hands in her lap.

He chewed on his bottom lip and tried to decide the best way to start. “So um, as you know, I went to see Renee today.”

“Right.”

Alex sighed and flexed his hands on the steering wheel. “Well, it didn’t go so well.”

“Yeah, I kinda gathered that from the vibe you’re giving off, not to mention, you never called me back to tell me how it did go.”

“I’m sorry,” he glanced to her, “I wouldn’t have known what to say and what I have to tell you, I didn’t want to do over the phone.”

Suddenly her stomach was sliding into her shoes. “What um…what’s going on?”

He took a deep breath, hating how sick to his stomach he felt and how she was going to react to the news he had to tell her. “Well, I show up there and…she wasn’t doing well at all…” he trailed off then fell silent.

Brielle watched him, her own stomach twisting from the apprehension. “Right now is probably not the best time to make me guess what happened. So how ‘bout you tell me the whole story.”

A small sound came from his throat, but he nodded and concentrated on the road ahead of them. “Alright, so um, like I said, I get there and she wasn’t doing well at all. Like, she hadn’t been eating or sleeping, taking care of herself. Not to mention, her place was a wreck.” He hesitated only a brief moment before continuing, “She told me she just doesn’t care about anything anymore and that she might as well die because without the baby,” or me, he added mentally, “she doesn’t have anything left to live for.”

Brielle frowned at that. “That’s horrible. She needs some serious help; like a therapist or support group or something.”

“Yeah, I tried to suggest that, but she wasn’t having it. And I can tell you from experience,” their eyes met briefly, “until they came to the conclusion to get help on their own, there’s no point in trying to convince them, it’ll only make things worse.”

“So what did you do?”

“Well, I tried to talk to her for awhile, but she just didn’t care. And then I tried to call her parents, but they’re out of the country for like six months-”

“What?!” Her frown deepened as she interrupted him. “They leave the country while their daughter is in that kind of a condition? What the hell kind of parents are they?”

He nodded in agreement. “I know, that’s what I thought.”

She slouched in the seat, adjusting the seat belt around the small bump of her stomach. “So what happened?”

Alex gripped the wheel tighter and the muscle in his jaw flexed.

Brielle arched her brows at that response. “Alex? What happened?”

He looked to her as they came to a red-light. “You can’t be mad at me.”

“What did you do?” That apprehension was growing and her heart was beginning to rise up into her throat.

He pressed his lips together so tight they formed a thin line and were tinged with white. Finally, once the traffic light changed to green and they were heading through the intersection, he was able to force the words out, “I um…told her she could come stay at my place for a little while.”

Brielle felt like she’d just been kicked in the chest; the air in her lungs wooshed out and she couldn’t get a breath. “Y…y…you wh…what?” Was all she could manage.

“I know it sounds really bad,” Alex explained in a rush, “but you should have seen her, Brie; she’s lost like ten pounds and doesn’t look anything like the woman I fell in love with.”

“That’s because she’s not,” you moron, she wanted to add, but refrained. “People change, Alex, and we already talked about how she has. She’s not the same person and you two aren’t the couple you were. You’re never going to be.”

“Even so, I couldn’t just leave her. She needs me and I have to do what I can to help her.” He looked her way again and his voice softened. “It was my baby, too.”

Brielle closed her eyes at his words and felt the guilt of her anger setting in. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, reaching and taking his hand in hers. “I know it was your baby and you’ve been so busy trying to figure out what’s going on with you and Renee and what’s going on with you and me, that you haven’t had time to mourn the loss of your child. I’m so sorry, Alex, I never meant for us to skip over it like you had no feelings on the matter.”

He felt the tears welling in his eyes. “I have to do what I can to help her. Maybe it’s my way of trying to make it up to her, make it up to the baby.”

“I know.” She watched their hands, smoothing her thumb over the back of his. “And it’s your house and your life and your relationship with Renee. I can’t tell you what to do or what not to do. You have to do what you think is right.”

He sniffed and nodded some then gave her hand a quick squeeze before speaking again, “Thank you. I knew you were going to be mad and I don’t want to upset you. Stress is the very last thing you need at the moment.”

Brielle watched him for a long moment before speaking again, “You’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. I never meant to put you there, Alex. I’m so sorry. I don’t want to make you feel trapped or in a tug-of-war between the two of us. I don’t want to be the one to have to make you choose.”

He didn’t respond, but the grip on her hand tightened and she knew she was right. She also knew what she needed to do. “I’m going to stay in a hotel for a little bit, while you and Renee sort all this out.”

“What?” His head jerked in her direction.

“Don’t try to stop me, okay. I’m not leaving completely, but right now you need to focus on just one thing at a time. Renee and I living under the same roof is nothing but bad news and none of us, you, me or Renee, need that kind of stress or pressure. She needs to heal and you need to heal and I need to step back so you both can do that. Someone needs to be the bigger person here and she’s too hurt to do that.” She gripped his hand tight with both her own. “So let me do what I can to help you.”

“But, I don’t want to lose you.”

The pain and tears in his voice made her own eyes water. “You’re not losing me,” she managed before a sob came and she had to turn her face toward the window and bite her lip to hold it back.

But he felt like he was. He felt like she was only hanging on by a thread and it was already starting to unravel. There’s no telling what was going to happen in the upcoming weeks with Renee back at his place and Brielle in a hotel room. But something in his gut told him it wouldn’t be good.

And as much as he didn’t want her to leave, her words made sense and he had to appreciate that she was willing to step back and take a back seat while he tried to heal himself and his ex-girlfriend. It was true; he was only one man and could only do so much and eventually the pressures of it all would become too much. He surely didn’t want to go back down the familiar path of alcohol, so maybe with the new living situation he’d be able to breathe again. Though with Brielle gone, he didn’t know how well he’d be able to do that.

~*~*~*~*~

“I’ll come see you every day. So much so that you’ll be sick of me.”

“I could never get sick of you.”

Alex chuckled low and took Brielle’s hands in his. “You say that now, but wait until it actually starts happening. You’ll be begging me to leave you in peace and get out of your hair. I can be rather annoying when I need to be.”

“Never.” She tried to offer up a smile, but it didn’t reach her eyes and that made his chest ache. The two of them were standing at the door of the hotel suite Alex had acquired for her later that evening. It was a nice one in one of the nicest hotels in the Los Angeles area. He’d been sure of that; a fully loaded suite with all the amenities she could imagine and more. If she was willing to stay in a hotel for awhile then he was going to make sure she was pampered like none before.

“I mean that though,” he reached and cupped her cheek in his hand, “nothing’s changing. Even though we’re not sleeping in the same place, you’re not getting rid of me.”

“I know.” Her hand came up and held to the back of his. “I better not. You’re my ride to and from work and we have that doctor appointment on Friday.”

He smiled at that. “I haven’t forgotten.” Then he kissed the tip of her nose. “And call me anytime; morning, noon or night. If you need something, please don’t hesitate. Especially if it has to do with the baby.”

“I won’t.” Her thumb smoothed soft circles on the back of his hand. “You just take care of yourself and if you need anything, you know where to reach me.”

Alex sighed and let his forehead rest against hers. “I’m so sorry.”

“Shh, no, don’t be.” Brielle wrapped her arms around him and drew him in for a hug. “I made the decision, and I’m okay with it,” but as she said the words, the ill taste of disgust was in her mouth. She didn’t want to leave as much as he didn’t want her to leave. But what choice did she have? Someone needed to and Renee was in no shape to be doing that. Obviously the woman couldn’t be left on her own as evident on how well she’d been doing the last week. So, Brielle was just going to have to be the bigger and more mature person and step back from the situation for a little while. The idea of being under the same roof as Renee made her skin crawl, so while this was for Alex’s sanity, it was also for her own.

“I’m going to miss you.”

She chuckled low, trying to will away the tears that were gathering in the corners of her eyes. “You’re going to see me every single day.”

He pressed his face to her neck and gave it a slow kiss then lifted his head again to meet her gaze. “I know, but I’m still going to miss you.”

“You’re going to get so sick of me you’ll be begging to leave here.”

“Never.” He laughed low at that and pulled her into another warm hug. “I’ll never get sick of you, no matter how annoying you can be.”

She chuckled and smoothed a hand over his back. “I never get annoying; it’s just not in my nature.”

“I believe that.”

“You on the other hand,” she poked his side lightly, “are probably the King Supreme of annoying.”

He jerked and grabbed her hands then looked to her again. “I don’t deny it.” Then he let the smile fall from his lips and held her hands up to his chest. “I think you’re the most amazing woman I’ve ever met.”

A blush tinged her cheeks. “You’re just saying that.”

“No, I’m really not.” He cupped her cheek and drew her head so their mouths were just a breath away. “I’ve never met anyone like you before. You’re a breath of fresh air, a shoulder to lean on, warmth on a cold day and everything in between all rolled into one.”

“Now I know you’re just saying that.” She chuckled low, trying to break the seriousness of the situation. “And I didn’t know you wrote for Hallmark.”

Alex blinked at that comment, trying to put it together in his head, then he chuckled and slipped an arm around her waist, hugging her close to his chest once more. “You’re a smartass.”

She giggled and pressed her face into his chest. It was either make jokes and laugh or stand there and cry, and she really hated crying. Yes, she would see him every day, but something in all of this felt like they were breaking up, or taking some time apart, which was ridiculous because they weren’t a couple to begin with. But she felt it all the same. Hopefully it wouldn’t be long before Renee would be on her way and she’d be back with him, where she belonged.

That made her blink and she stiffened in his arms. Where she belonged. And without a doubt, she knew it was true. She’d found her home in his arms. But because of Renee and all he was dealing with, she couldn’t tell him. She didn’t want to add any pressure or make him have to make even harder decisions. She wasn’t going to put him back between a rock and a hard place. When the time was right, he’d be back and then she’d be free to speak her heart. Until then, they just had to grit their teeth and work through it one day at a time.

“I love you, you know that?” Alex’s voice interrupted her thoughts.

Brielle cleared her throat and wiped at her eyes before lifting her head and meeting his gaze. She could so easily lose herself in those eyes that always seemed to wrap around her and draw her in. “I know,” she spoke softly then smoothed her knuckles over his cheek and pressed a soft kiss to his lips.

He smiled and kissed her again then crouched and let his hand rest on her slightly swollen belly. “And I love you, too.” Then he kissed her stomach. “You be good for your mama now, you hear.” He rested his cheek against her abdomen and just let his hand stroke her tummy.

She couldn’t stop the tears even if she tried. Why did Renee have to come back into the picture and ruin everything that had been building between the two? She felt like she was losing the one man who had ever truly meant anything to her, the one person who had reached down and lifted her up and saved her from a life of desolate and despair and she was powerless to stop it.

Maybe she was making a huge mistake. Maybe she should just go back with Alex and live in his house, doing her best to deal with Renee and the mess that had become her life. Though as she thought those words, her fingers smoothed through Alex’s hair and she watched the man she had grown to love. She couldn’t do that. She had to do what was best for him and for their baby, and that meant take a step back for awhile so everyone could breathe. It wouldn’t be forever and soon they’d be back in each other’s arms, together with their little baby, all one happy little family. And Renee would finally be out of the picture for good.
End Notes:
Thanks so much guys for your continued support. Please let me know what you thought about this chp. And take a minute to check out my Tears Before Bedtime fic as well, I think you'll like it. :)
And as always, any names suggestions, lemme know. Thanks!
Chapter Thirty by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you to those of you that nominated this fic. And thank you to everyone who has left me any thoughts or comments and to those of you reading it. :) Hope you continue to enjoy.
The sun was slowly rising over the horizon and Brielle watched from the balcony of her hotel room with hollow eyes. It was early, too early for her to be awake, but she was feeling restless and uncomfortable and couldn’t sleep. The last three days since moving into the hotel room had made her miserable and she was missing Alex something awful. Sure, she saw him when he picked her up or brought her back, and he called her all the time and they’d had dinner last night, but it wasn’t the same. After work, she’d come back to the hotel and read a book, or go online and look up baby stuff, take a dip in the large rooftop pool or just walk the grounds, but she longed to be back with Alex in his house, tucked under a blanket with him on the sofa as they tried to decide on a movie to watch.

She had to keep reminding herself it was only temporary, that Alex would figure things out with Renee and then she’d be the one in his home instead of the evil woman that was trying to push her out of the picture. And then she’d feel bad for thinking of Renee in that way. What the other woman was going through was very traumatic and Brielle couldn’t even imagine how she’d deal with it.

That thought brought her hand to her womb. She felt for Renee, she truly did and whatever the woman needed to heal herself, Brielle was willing to let her have it. No one should have to go through the loss of a child; born or not. Especially not alone. But it surely sucked being the one left out in the cold so to say.

But she wasn’t going to sit out here and get all emotional. She was going to be okay. Both her and her baby. That made the blonde smile and she looked to her tummy, resting both hands over the slight bump that showed. Tomorrow she would be going back to the doctor’s for another check up. She was 16 weeks now and soon they’d get to find out if the baby was a boy or girl. People at work were already asking her which she’d prefer, and honestly, Brielle didn’t have a preference; just as long as the baby was healthy. Which sounded totally cliché, but was the honest to goodness truth.

The sound of her cell phone from next to her pulled the blonde from her thoughts and she picked it up to see Lily’s name on the screen. It was early in California, but it’d be mid morning in New York. With a real smile on her face, she answered the phone and held it to her ear. “Hey.”

“Hey, hon, did I wake you? Sometimes I dial you before even calculating the time difference until it’s too late,” Lily greeted her with an apologetic ramble.

“No, I was actually already awake. I couldn’t sleep.”

“Oh good, well not good that you can’t sleep, but good I didn’t wake you.”

Brielle chuckled low. “What’s going on? Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m doing great. I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

Brielle drew up a shoulder. “I’m okay; could be better, could be worse.”

“Oh, honey,” her friend sighed out. “I’m so sorry. She’s not doing any better?”

“Who knows; Alex and I have agreed not to discuss her when we’re together. My suggestion really, because I don’t want to think about her or hear about her.”

“Then how are you going to know when she’s ready to be on her own again? You can’t trust Alex’s judgment; that woman might be a wonderful actress. You may need to visit his place and size up the situation.”

Brielle paused then glanced toward her phone. “You think she’s making it up?”

“Who knows what she’s doing, Brie; but I wouldn’t put it past her. You saw how conniving she was on your first day in Cali when she invited Alex’s bandmates over to embarrass you.”

“Why would she be making it up? What a horrible thing to do; lose your baby then fake depression just to hang onto a guy.”

“Well this is Renee.”

Brielle sighed and leaned her head back in the chaise lounge she was settled in. “She might not be though, Lil. How would she have known Alex was going to go and try to end things for good? What, she purposely starved herself and trashed her home because she just knew he was going to move her into his place?”

Her friend was quiet for a moment as she mulled it over. “People are crazy, hon, we both know that. Look at what your parents were trying to do; trick you into giving away money that was rightfully yours. Look at all the psychopaths out there. I wouldn’t sell Renee short in that category.”

“So what am I supposed to do?”

“Watch your back and Alex’s. If she’s trying to pull a quick one, don’t let her succeed. She’s already got you to move out of there, all she has to do next is convince your man he’s better off with her; which she can easily do with guilt about the baby, and then it’s back to New York for you.”

The blonde fell quiet as Lily’s words echoed in her head. Was Renee making it all up to weasel her way back into his life? She didn’t want to think so, but the woman was definitely sneaky and a major bitch, so it wasn’t something she could completely write off. But what a horrible thing to do and poor Alex, he already felt bad enough about losing the baby and now she might be playing off that guilt. That thought made a sick feeling begin in the pit of her stomach.

“I’m not saying she is doing that, Brie,” Lily spoke up after a moment of silence. “But you just need to be careful. Maybe she is really depressed, but once she feels better, she might either pretend she isn’t to prolong the situation, or with you not there, try and pick back up where she and Alex left off.”

“I don’t think Alex would let her do that.”

Lily sigh could be heard over the line. “I hope not. I hope he loves you enough to be able to stand his ground. Look at you; your actions speak volumes about how much you love and care for him.”

Brielle stiffened at that, her breath catching. “What are you talking about?”

“It’s so obvious, Brie. If you didn’t care about him and didn’t want him in the middle of all this you wouldn’t have left, but you did because you do. You love him and you want to make all this easy for him so he isn’t hurt anymore,” Lily paused a moment to let her words register with her friend. “I think that’s very commendable of you, honey, and I think it’s telling Alex a lot about how you feel.”

“Then why should I be worried about what Renee does?”

“Because actions may speak volumes, but sometimes a guy has to hear it from your mouth to really let it sink in.”

Brielle gave a groan. “This is making my head hurt.”

Lily chuckled. “I’m sorry. Let’s talk about something else; how’s your job going?”

“Oh, gosh, it’s so great!” That was something she could truly smile about. “Everyone’s so nice and helpful and my boss seems to really be a great guy.”

“Aw, that’s great; I’m so happy for you. How’s the baby doing?”

She touched her tummy at that question. “So far so good. I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow, so cross your fingers for me that everything is okay.”

“Of course,” her friend agreed. “Do you get to find out if the baby is a he or a she, yet?”

“I’m not sure; everything I’ve read says it’s usually between 18 and 22 weeks, so if not tomorrow then our next appointment for sure.”

“Do you want to find out?”

Brielle tilted her head. “Yes and no. Yes, because I want to be prepared and buy the right things. I was never a big fan of unisex colors like green and yellow. But no, because I think the surprise of waiting until that moment would be a great surprise and it’d be a really special moment.”

“Well, you don’t have to decide right away. You could go another couple appointments before you found out if you wanted time to think about it.”

“Right and I want to talk to Alex about it too. See how he feels and what he wants.”

Lily chuckled. “He’ll probably be begging to find out the sex.”

“Maybe he’ll want to be surprised.”

“Maybe.” Lily fell silent a moment then spoke again, “I want to throw you a baby shower.”

Brielle’s brows lifted. “Really?”

“Of course really.” She laughed. “Are you surprised?”

“Well, no,” she shrugged a shoulder, “but we’re on two different coasts, how are you going to give me a party?”

“I can travel, silly. I’ll plan it and make the calls from here, have Alex do the things I need done from there and then come in a few days ahead for the last minute things,” she explained like it would be easy as pie.

“What about all your wedding planning?”

“Brielle,” Lily’s frown reached her friend’s ear over the phone, “I am quite capable of planning both. Besides, I want to throw you a baby shower. Don’t argue with me about it, okay? You’re my best friend and that’s what we do for each other.”

She smiled at those words. “You’re right, thank you. And it’s a good thing you said that, because I plan on giving you one of the best wedding shower’s around.”

“Oh, honey, you don’t have to do that.”

The blonde tilted her head. “What…what was it you said? That’s what best friend’s do for each other?”

Lily laughed. “Alright, I won’t argue.”

“Thank you.”

She chuckled. “Call me after your appointment and let me know how it goes, though.”

“Of course.”

“Is Alex going with you?”

She shifted her eyes toward the phone. “He better be; when we talked last night he said he was.”

“Good,” Lily gave a snort, “let’s hope she doesn’t mess anything up for you.”

“Heh, she better not.”

“And please do like I suggested and go check her out sometime, okay?”

Brielle sighed. Coming face to face with Renee was the very last thing she wanted to do, but her friend’s reasoning’s had made a lot of sense. “I guess I can, though every fiber in my body’s telling me not to.”

“When it comes to Renee, you should always assume the worst. And call me and keep me updated.” She was quiet for a moment. “You know that if you need me, Brie, you just have to say the words and I’ll be there.”

“I know.” A grateful smile tugged at her mouth. “I really appreciate that, Lily, but I’m doing okay right now. I will keep you updated though.”

“Good,” her friend replied before the subject was changed to the wedding and the brunette went into detail about the decorations and invitations and how her mom and Jordan’s were arguing over the flower settings.

By the time Brielle get off the phone and headed back into the hotel suite to get ready for work, she was feeling a little bit better. Lily always seemed to know what to say to lift her spirits, though the thought of having to go and be in the same room as Renee did make her stomach feel heavy. But her friend was right; who knew the kind of things she was telling Alex. No, she needed to go assess the situation and make sure Renee wasn’t planning on overstaying her welcome.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, what do you want to do tonight?” Alex questioned as he steered his SUV away from the parking lot of the studio Brielle worked at.

Brielle pulled her long hair from the bun she’d tied it up in earlier that day. “Um, are you hungry?”

“Starved, actually.”

“Yeah, I’m pretty hungry too.” She massaged her scalp where the tie had been tight against her head then dropped it into her purse. “I didn’t get much time to eat lunch today; Mr. Lockwood had a really jammed pack schedule and he had to work right through his.”

Alex frowned at that. “You didn’t eat?”

“Well, I had a salad at my desk.”

“That’s all you’ve had since breakfast?”

She winced some at the worry in his voice. “Um…yes?”

“Brielle…”

“What? I didn’t mean to miss lunch; things just got busy. I had that salad.”

He sighed and slowed the vehicle to make a right hand turn. “I know, but you really need to make sure you’re eating right and not missing meals. Especially now more than ever.”

“I know, and I normally don’t.” She peeked her eyes his way and found herself smiling at his concern and worry. “I won’t let it happen again.”

“Good.” He reached over and took her hand in his. “You want to go out somewhere?”

Okay, it was now or never; all day Brielle had been trying to figure out a way to convince Alex to take her back to his place. She had finally decided maybe they would pick up dinner somewhere and take it to Renee, sort of a peace offering. Hopefully the brunette would take it that way and there wouldn’t be a fight of any sorts.

“Actually, I thought maybe we could get some take out and take it back to your home.”

He shifted his eyes to her. “Really?”

“Yeah,” she shrugged some, “I’m still allowed there, right?”

“Of course, baby.” He held her hand to his chest. “I just wasn’t expecting you to want to go there.”

“Well, there’s no telling how long Renee is going to be around, so I figured I might as well play nice and extend the olive branch; especially after everything she’s been through.”

Alex felt his heart swell at her words; she was the most amazing woman he’d met yet and it killed him that Renee was coming between the two. Especially when things hadn’t even reached that level yet. “We’ll do that then. Anything specific you had in mind for dinner?”

“Just no Chinese; the thought of that right now makes me gag.” She wrinkled her nose in a cute manner.

He chuckled. “Alright, no Chinese. How ‘bout Italian?”

“Oh,” Brielle’s eyes widened, “maybe Olive Garden; I have a real craving for their breadsticks. Ooh, yes, let’s go there.”

Alex chuckled and gave a nod. “Okay, Olive Garden it is.”

“Thank you.” She giggled low. “It’s the pregnancy cravings.”

“Oh, you don’t gotta explain it to me, baby; I understand.”

She smiled at that. “You’re too good to me.”

“Honestly, I don’t think I’m good enough.”

A frown creased her brow. “What are you talking about? You’ve been nothing but wonderful and supportive since we met. You haven’t questioned my motives and you’ve made sure I’m taken care of. You’re the most caring and sweet and understanding guy I know.”

Alex sighed at that, her words making him feel even more like crap for moving Renee in and letting Brielle leave. “If I were good enough, you wouldn’t be living in a hotel room for a few weeks.”

“Don’t do that to yourself, Alex; don’t let the situation make you feel guilty.”

“I can’t help it.”

She pressed her lips together for a moment. “You can’t control what’s going on and I made the decision to leave. I thought that’s what would be best for you. Don’t worry about me, okay?” She pulled his hand into her lap and held it with both of hers. “I’m going to be okay. Sure, this sucks, but I’ve dealt with much worse.”

He slowed to a red-light and looked to her, his head resting against the back of the seat. “This is why I love you. If the situation were reversed, Renee would be having none of it. I can’t breathe when she’s around and it really makes me second guess myself and my capabilities.”

“I hate that you feel that way.” Her fingers stroked the back of his hand. “I don’t want you to ever second guess yourself; you do what you have to do and you may have screwed up before, and may continue to do so, but that’s okay. No one’s perfect and I’m not going to think any less of you as long as we’re always honest with each other.”

His heart was hammering hard against his chest. Reaching his hand up, he stroked it over her cheek then drew her head closer to his. “Thank you.” Her face was a breath from him and he closed the distance, his lips just barely brushing hers when the sudden sound of a car horn jerked them both back into place.

“Green-light,” Brielle laughed then ducked her head and rubbed her cheek.

“Shit.” He chuckled then lifted his hand in an apologetic wave to the vehicle behind them before starting on through the intersection. “See what you do to me?”

The blonde lifted her head and looked to him with amusement in her eyes. “Oh yeah? What’s that?”

“You get me so stupid I forget where I am and what I’m supposed to be doing.”

She laughed at that and kissed the back of his hand. “Aw, I’m sorry. I’ll behave myself so you can stay smart and we can get our dinner.”

Alex chuckled. “That sounds like a good plan.”

Brielle had to agree and they managed to make it to Olive Garden and back to his place without any other cars honking at them.

The minute they stepped in through the side door into Alex’s kitchen, the nerves in Brielle’s tummy began to flutter. She didn’t know what kind of a reaction Renee was going to have and all she could imagine was the other woman flying across the room and trying to choke the life from her. Maybe this had been a bad idea after all.

“You sure you want to do this?” Alex questioned as he set his keys and the bag containing the food onto the counter. “It’s not too late to change your mind.”

“No, I’ll be okay.” She slipped her handbag from around her and set it off to the side. “But thank you.”

“Anytime, baby.” He leaned and kissed her cheek before diving into the paper bag and withdrawing the containers of food. “How ‘bout you set the table and I’ll go find Renee.”

“That sounds good.” She crossed over to the sink to wash her hands. “Break it to her lightly that I’m here, I really don’t want her to snap and try to attack me.”

He frowned at that. “She won’t do that, least she better not.” Then he kissed the top of her head before sauntering from the room in search of his house guest.

Alex found Renee in his bedroom. He’d looked everywhere else before finally taking a chance to peek in and see her lounging in an armchair with a book in her lap. Frowning some, he slipped into the room. “What are you doing in here?”

She had started a fire in the fireplace and was seated before it, a blanket over her lap. At his voice, she lifted her head and met his gaze. “Hey, did you get her back to the hotel okay?”

He sighed. “Why are you in here?”

“Was I not supposed to?” Her green eyes surveyed the room before settling on him again and Alex hated how it always felt like she was scrutinizing him. “I like this room, Alex. It makes me feel at ease and I can relax.”

What was he supposed to respond to that with? Reaching a hand to the back of his neck, he massaged it. “I brought dinner back with me.”

Renee’s eyes rose to his again. “I’m not hungry.”

“Renee,” he sighed and moved closer, hunkering down next to the chair, “you have to eat. You promised if I let you move in here for awhile, that you’d try to eat.”

“And I have tried; but I’m not hungry. You can’t force someone to eat when they don’t want to.”

He pressed his lips together and studied her; her eyes were still blank and dark circles lined beneath them. “Did you eat at all today?”

“I had some toast earlier.” She turned back to the book in her lap.

“Well, it’s Olive Garden. I got your favorite; Capellini Pomodoro and I’d like you to try to eat.”

Renee shifted her eyes his way. “You remember what my favorite meal from The Olive Garden is?”

Alex chuckled low. “Of course I do. I haven’t forgotten everything about you just because we’re not a couple anymore.”

She reached out and touched his cheek with her fingers. “I miss our baby so much, but being here with you has really started to help me and I really appreciate that you moved her out so I could heal in peace and with no stress.”

Everything was always about her. That angered him slightly, but he tried to keep his cool. “Brielle isn’t gone for good, Renee. She just moved out for a little bit so none of us would have stress. And that’s something I wanted to talk to you about.”

“You want me to move back in here for good?” Hope lit up her eyes.

“Um, no,” he wet his lips some and took her hand in his, “we’re still not going to be a couple, Renee. I care about you, but we aren’t compatible in a relationship like that.”

“How do you know? We were doing just fine until that bitch showed up.”

“Don’t call her that.”

“She’s a home wrecker, Alex. You know that we were happy and planning our wedding and things were just fine before she came into the picture.”

His brows drew together. “How happy were we, Renee? We were sleeping with other people and I never felt like I could truly be myself when we were together.”

She jerked her hand from his touch. “It’s called an open relationship, Alex. People have them all the time and are very happy in their relationships; married people at that.”

“And that’s good for them, but that’s not what I want.”

“Oh yeah? Was that what you were telling yourself while you were picking random women up at bars? While you were fucken her? Because you didn’t seem to have any qualms with the way we had things until now.”

Her eyes were beginning to grow hard and Alex knew he’d just pissed her off, which was not how he wanted things to go. “Renee, I’m not the same person I was back then. People experience things in life that change them and that’s what happened when I found out I was going to be a father.”

“And there you go again, throwing the fact that she still has her baby in my face and I’ve lost mine.” She jerked her book back up and stared at it hard. “Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to read my book.”

Alex rose to his feet and pinched the bridge of his nose. She was impossible. “Brielle’s downstairs. She came over to see how you were doing. She’s not the enemy here and she wants to try to make amends between you two.”

The book snapped shut so fast the sound echoed throughout the room. “You brought her here?! She’s not the enemy?! Are you even listening to yourself? She’s the one that ruined everything for us and you have the audacity to bring her here!”

“I wish you would listen to yourself! You’re being a selfish bitch.” He was angry now and knew this scene was going to get even uglier very quickly.

“I lost my baby, Alex! I lost my baby and my fiancé! My life is ruined and I think I’m entitled to be a selfish bitch. Now are you done yelling at me? Go downstairs with your little pregnant girlfriend and leave me the hell alone!” She flung her arm toward the doorway, her other hand gripping the spine of the book so tight it turned her knuckles white.

“You need to calm yourself down,” he hissed at her. “I know you lost your baby, but it was my baby too; we lost our baby and now it’s time to figure out how to move on. It’s done and in the past and we can’t stay there with it.”

“Don’t tell me to forget about my baby.” Tears filled her eyes and she wiped them away.

Alex rubbed his forehead. “I’m not telling you to forget about our baby, I’m telling you that it’s time to find a way to work past this. Hanging onto the anger isn’t good for you. It’s time for you to make peace so you can get on with your life.”

“How do you expect me to do that when she’s here flaunting your relationship and baby around in front of me?” The anger had dissipated only to be replaced by grief and hurt. “All I can do when I see her or see the way you are after you’ve been with her is die a little inside. That was supposed to be us.”

“Oh, Renee, I’m so sorry.” He crouched down by her again. “I know it’s hard and I know it’s a lot to have to deal with at once, but you’ll get through it. And I’ll be here when I can be, but only as a friend. I just…I can’t be anything more to you, I’m sorry.”

She nodded and ducked her head so her hair fell around her face, blocking his view. “I just can’t see her yet, you have to understand that. And it’s not fair to ask me to even pretend I’m okay.” She pushed the long locks from her face and looked to him. “If I’m to get better then you can’t force things on me before I’m ready for them.”

Alex sighed and ran a hand over his face; she was right. Pressuring someone to do something before they were ready to was pointless. “Alright,” he relented. “You don’t have to see her, but you can’t hide forever. We agreed that you’d come here and try to get your life back on track,” he paused and waited until their eyes met, “so if I’m holding up my end of the bargain, then I expect you to as well.”

“Alright,” she finally agreed after a long moment of silence between them.

“Good.” He stood and kissed the top of her head in a friendly manner. “Brie and I are gonna eat then. You can come down after I’ve left to take her to the hotel if you don’t want to see her. Or if you get hungry, we can move to another room.”

“Okay.” She situated the blanket around her legs and opened her book again. “I’m not hungry yet, so I can wait awhile.”

He nodded then ran a hand over his face and watched her a moment before finally turning and exiting from the room and into the hall where he found Brielle.

“Oh, hey,” quickly, he stepped back and grasped the door handle of the bedroom door and pulled it shut behind him, “I was just coming back downstairs.”

Brielle’s eyes flittered to the door then back to him. “Did you find Renee?”

“Um, yeah.” He shoved his hands into his pockets, guilt flooding him though he had nothing to feel guilty about. Maybe because she was in his room. Well, he wasn’t trying to hide her, just honor her request not to see Brielle.

“Oh,” she glanced to the door again, “she’s in your room?”

Alex sighed and his shoulders slumped. “She isn’t ready to see you. She says you just remind her of all she’s lost. I don’t want to pressure her.”

“Oh,” she nodded some, “okay, that’s okay.” Something passed over her eyes, but he couldn’t determine what it was. “So um, the food’s all set up, you ready to go eat?”

He shrugged it off and plastered on a smile. “More than ready; I’m starved.” Then extending his hand to hers, he grasped it and started off down the hall. “Maybe after, we can watch a movie.”

“Sure.” Brielle allowed herself to be led along, her gaze casting once more back to the closed bedroom door. She didn’t understand why Renee would be in Alex’s bedroom of all places. And while she wanted to ask him why, she felt like she might not want to know the answer; which made her feel foolish because she knew that nothing was going on between them and she trusted Alex. But it didn’t explain why Renee would be in his room.

“Are you okay?” Alex questioned as they started down the stairs.

“Hm? Yeah, I’m good.” She flashed a beautiful smile and gave his hand a squeeze. “Just hungry.”

“Me too. So let’s go eat then relax in the theater and watch a movie. After, I’ll take you back to the hotel.”

Brielle took his arm with her free hand once they reached the bottom of the stairs. “That sounds good.”

He winked at her. “And if you play your cards right, I might even stay the night.”

“Oh you think so, huh? I have a strict no sleepover policy.”

“Well,” he slipped his arm around her waist and drew her to his side, “we just may have to change that.”

Brielle blushed at the tone in his voice and pulled away. “Food, McLean.”

“Alright, alright,” he chuckled then moved to the table and pulled out her chair, “we’ll eat first. We can discuss your strict policies after.”

“If you’re lucky.” She slipped into the chair and surveyed the food, the smell of it wafting into her nose and making her forget all thoughts about Renee and her location. She wasn’t going to worry herself about the woman anymore. Though maybe it might be a good idea to let Alex stay with her at the hotel tonight; keep him away from his ex. Especially if the woman continued to take shelter in bedrooms she shouldn’t be in.
End Notes:
As always, feedback is so appreciated. Thanks again. :)
Chapter Thirty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
Enjoy!
Brielle was the first into the hotel room later that Thursday night. It was late; after eleven and she was exhausted; emotionally and physically. After she and Alex had finished their dinner, they’d taken up residence in the theater and watched Grown Ups with Kevin James and Adam Sandler then followed that with the horror movie Let Me In which had scared the blonde nearly to death and she was sure she was going to have nightmares the whole night.

Alex reassured he he’d check the closets and under the bed then stand watch throughout the night. Leaving Renee hadn’t been an easy feat; she had been livid when she found out that he wasn’t going to be around. But the tattooed man had managed to put his foot down and collect some belongings into an overnight bag then headed out with Brielle. Of course, he’d had to promise to spend Saturday evening home with Renee so they might be able to discuss ways for her to work past the hurt, grief and anger she was feeling.

Telling Brielle was going to be hard. She didn’t work weekends and he didn’t want her sitting around the hotel room by herself. But what could he do? Besides, the more he could help Renee get on with her life the sooner she’d be out of his and Brielle would be back into it the way she was meant to be. Maybe he could find someone to take her out for the night and keep her occupied.

“OhmygoshIhavetopee!” Brielle exclaimed all in one breath as she burst into the hotel room and made a beeline straight for the bathroom, not bothering to slip her shoes off or drop her bag to the side.

Alex laughed low at that and let the door close securely behind him then he did the deadbolt and slid the chain into place. Tossing the keycard to the side table, he pulled his own shoes off then moved further into the room and fell backward into the plush sofa, giving a loud sigh of relief. No Renee, no drama, no stress; just him and Brielle together. That thought enough put a smile on his face and all his worries melted away, his eyes closing.

“I cannot believe how many times in a day I’m peeing now,” Brielle’s voice drifted to his ears after a few moments as she reentered the room.

He peeked an eye open to see her sinking down into a chair and slipping her shoes off. “It’s the pregnancy.”

“You’re telling me.” Her nose wrinkled in a cute manner and she held her bare feet out to him. “My feet are starting to swell I think, that makes me so sad.”

“Why?” He chuckled then pushed himself up and slid onto the coffee table, reaching and pulling her feet into his lap. “You’ve had a pretty easy go at things so far, right?”

“Mmhmm; hardly any morning sickness, but something tells me all that’s going to catch up to me pretty soon.” Then she gave a soft groan as his fingers began massaging her tender feet in a gentle, yet thorough, manner.

He pouted, his lower lip sticking out considerably. “Poor Brielle.”

“Hush,” she laughed and swatted playfully at his shoulder, “you have no room to tease or poke fun at me. Just wait until I’m big as a house; I’ll use that belly to knock you around.”

That made him laugh and he had to duck his head as the mental of a very, very pregnant Brielle swinging her stomach side to side and sending people flying across the room flashed before his eyes.

She chuckled. “Is it really that funny?”

“I...I’m sorry,” he choked out. “I just…I just had this mental…” and then more laughter bubbled up and he trailed off.

She giggled low and wiggled her toes some, reminding him that he had a task he was currently occupied with and not to forget amidst whatever he found hilarious. “Well, at least you’re laughing and in good spirits.”

Alex nodded some at that as he worked to regain his composure, his fingers beginning their massage again. “Being with you puts me in a good mood.”

The smile she flashed told him she felt the same. “I’m glad.” Her eyes drifted to his hands and she watched him work a minute. “So,” she began after a comfortable silence had settled over the two. “Flown any kites lately?”

“Not a one.”

Her eyes flickered to his face. “Writing in your journal?”

Alex paused just briefly. “Trying to. Renee takes up a lot of my time and sometimes I don’t get to put as much effort into it as I want.”

That made her frown. “Are you drinking again?”

“What? No!” He looked at her with an earnest expression. “I haven’t had a drink since before you left to go back to New York. I swear! I may want to,” he shook his head some at that, “but I haven’t. And it’s been damn hard now that Renee is back in the picture again.”

“I’m sorry, Alex.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“I know,” she pouted at him, her eyes just radiating her emotions, “but I’m still sorry. Sorry that you have to go through what you are.”

He couldn’t bring himself to look at her, keeping his gaze trained on his hands and her feet. “I’m doing okay; I don’t want you worrying about me. You have enough to worry about on your own. The last thing I need is giving you even more to stress out about.”

“I’m doing okay.”

He paused then leaned over and placed a kiss to her knee.

“So,” she said after he had sat back up and resumed in his massaging. Maybe it was time for a subject change. “There’s something I wanted to talk to you about.”

Alex tilted his head, glancing to her face. “What’s that?”

“Well, tomorrow at the appointment, if they do an ultrasound, we might be able to find out the sex of the baby. Is that something you’re wanting to know?”

“They’ll be able to tell us tomorrow?”

She shrugged. “They might be able to, but it still might be too soon. Most everything I’ve read says usually about 17 weeks on, but some have said it’s possible at 15 or 16.” Her head bent to the side. “So I just wanna be prepared in case the doctor is able to see.”

“Oh,” Alex mulled it over for a moment, “it’d probably be easier and more convenient to go ahead and find out so we can be prepared.

“I know! That’s what I’ve been saying.” She giggled some. “But then again, the thought of waiting and getting to have that special moment when the doctor is like, ‘It’s a boy!’ or ‘It’s a girl!’ sounds exciting too.”

He pressed his lips together; she did have a point. “Would probably be the surprise of a lifetime.”

Brielle’s eyes were wide with excitement. “That’s what I’m saying.”

“So you wanna wait?”

Her brows drew together as she thought it over. “I don’t know; I do and I don’t. Gah, this is so hard!”

“Well, we don’t have to make up our minds right this moment. We can tell the doc we want to wait a little bit so she doesn’t blurt it out then we can think it over.”

She nodded a little at that and relaxed into the chair more. “True; I think that’s what I want to do. Give us time to make up our minds.”

“Right.” Alex smiled and squeezed her foot then set it onto the coffee table and took up her other one. “You know what we should probably start doing soon?”

“What?”

“Thinking about names.”

“Ooh,” her eyes lit up again, “you’re right. When I was back in New York, Lily and I picked up a baby name book. I haven’t really had a lot of time to look through it though.”

“Well,” he worked his fingers into the pad of her heel, eliciting a soft sound from her, “are there any names you can think up off the top of your head that you like?”

“I told Lily I liked the name Grace; for a girl of course.”

He chuckled. “Of course. Grace,” his head leaned toward the left, “that’s a pretty name.”

“You like it?”

Alex couldn’t help the warmth that spread through him at the happy grin on her face. “I do.”

Brielle giggled. “Sweet. I like Aidan for a boy.”

“Oh.” he made a face.

“You hate it.” The smile disappeared and her shoulders sank.

“No, no,” he quickly responded with, kicking himself for reacting that way. “I don’t hate it.” In truth, he kind of sort of did, but there’s no way he could tell her that. She’d burst into tears and flee the room.

“You do,” tears began to well in her eyes and she sniffed, “you hate the name.”

“No, baby, I don’t hate it. I just…” he searched for the right words, “it’s just…not high on my list is all. But we can think about it.”

“No, you hate it,” she responded in a cry-like voice. “We can’t name our baby something you hate.”

Guilt punched him hard in the chest as the dam burst and she began to cry. What the hell had he been thinking? He may not have a lot of experience with pregnant women, but he did know their emotions could turn on a dime and one had to tread carefully when it came to that. “Brielle, honey,” he let her foot from his lap then crouched before her and wiped at the tears with his thumbs, “I don’t hate it. Please don’t cry.”

“I can’t help it,” she wailed. “You hate that name. What if you hate every name? What if our baby doesn’t get a name? We’ll have a no name baby!”

Where was all this coming from? “That’s not true. We’re going to come up with the perfect name for our little guy or out little princess. I can promise you that.”

She sniffed and used the sleeves of her shirt to wipe her cheeks. “We…we will?”

“Of course.” His hand smoothed over the side of her face. “A name that we love and that will fit the baby exactly.”

“Are…” she hiccupped, “are you sure?”

“Positive.” Then he pushed to his feet and kissed her forehead. “How ‘bout you go grab the book and I’ll get you some water for your hiccups and we’ll go over some names?”

“Okay.” She sniffed again then rose to her own feet and headed for the bedroom.

With a sigh, Alex watched her go. That had been a close call. Talk about a possible disastrous situation there. He was lucky he’d been able to calm her down and she hadn’t started throwing her shoes at him. Hopefully that would never happen, but just in case, he might want to hide all her high heels so they didn’t poke his eyes out.

A few moments later, they were both settled on the couch, cuddled together with the book in Brielle’s lap and a bottle of water on the coffee table. She’d taken a few drinks of it until her hiccups had finally subsided then they’d gotten comfortable and cracked the book open.

“I can’t believe some of these names,” Alex mused from where he sat peering at the book, his arm resting on the back of the couch behind Brielle.

“I know right.” She shook her head some. “Who would name their child Aa…Aadhi…Aadhidhishankar?” She laughed. “I can’t even pronounce it.”

“Someone had to have or it wouldn’t be in there.” He chuckled and his fingers trailed lightly over her upper arm. In the process of gathering the book, Brielle had also washed her face and changed into some more comfortable clothes; a black tee and some blue and gray plaid pajama pants.

The small bump in her lower tummy was prominent with the way the shirt fit over her and Alex had found himself admiring it, a grin playing over his lips at the thought of helping put the child in her womb. When he’d first found out about the pregnancy, he’d been freaked out and panicked, but over the last weeks, something had changed and now he welcomed everything that the change had brought.

He was going to be a father. He was going to get to raise a little boy or a little girl with a woman he loved. Hopefully this was just the beginning of a wonderful adventure and down the road there’d be brothers and sisters, though a wedding first would be really nice.

“Alex? Are you listening to me?”

He blinked and snapped himself out of his daydream. “Sorry, what did you say?”

“I was asking you if you thought we would have a boy or a girl.”

“Oh,” his fingers smoothed up and into her hair, “well, I’ve always said I was going to have a girl first. Out of all us guys in the group, Kev, Brian, Howie; they’ve all had boys first and I think I’m gonna be the one to have the first girl.” A smile formed on his lips. Truth be told, he wanted the first girl. But if God decided to bless them with a boy then he wasn’t going to become upset. He’d love his son as much as he would a daughter.

“Well, let’s look at the girl’s names first then.” She kissed his cheek then flipped from the boy’s names beginning with A to the girl’s names beginning with A. “Okay, let’s see here.”

Alex studied her a moment and grinned then peeked toward the book as well. “Wow, who knew there were so many ways to spell Abigail.”

“I know right.” She scanned the first page slowly. “It’s a pretty name, but I don’t see me using it.”

“Same here.” He let his fingers play in her hair and kissed her head. “What else ya got?”

“Umm…a lot of names that I don’t like and some I don’t even want to try to pronounce. Where are all the regular, easy to read names?”

He chuckled then slowly reached over to the book. “Maybe you should try turning the page,” as he spoke, he demonstrated the action.

“I coulda done that.” She smoothed the page over then continued her quest. “Addison’s a cute name.”

“What does it mean?”

“Son of Adam. Bah, I want there to be a good meaning for the name; nothing like son of so n’ so or knot on head.”

“Well,” Alex mulled it over in his head, “maybe we should try from a different approach.”

Her eyes lifted to his face. “What’s that?”

“Maybe instead of looking for a name we like, we start with finding a meaning and then a name we like might be there. Kinda like hitting two birds with one stone.”

“Ooh,” she smiled, “I like the way you think. Okay, so we need to look up meanings first.” And she was flipping through the book until she came upon the index that listed all different kinds of terms that would direct you to certain names. “What kind of meaning do we want?”

Alex thought that question over. “Maybe something like hope or joy or perseverance.”

“Perseverance?”

“Yeah,” his eyes met hers, “everything we’ve both overcome, all the obstacles and difficulties we’ve been through to get to where we are and to have this little baby in our arms; it all is pretty special to me.”

She smiled again. “That’s all very true. Okay, let’s see what we can find.” Turning back to the book, Brielle began checking the different words to match a name they might like. Finally, she made a little face and sat back. “There really isn’t much with those meanings. There’s Tansy, which is persistent or tenacious and there’s Ahonui, which is Hawaiian and means patience. But I don’t really care for either of them.”

“Tansy’s a little different, but I’m not big on them either.”

“Yeah,” she sighed, “and the name I want for our baby has to be unique for them. I don’t want something common like Jennifer or Allison or Matthew, because then in school they’ll be known as Matthew #4 or Jennifer #12.”

Alex chuckled and stroked his fingers through her hair. “I agree. Well, why don’t we try another meaning?”

“Like what?”

“Like,” he drew the word out as he thought it over, “like grace. You liked the name Grace; let’s see what kind of other names mean that.”

“Okay.” She turned back to the book. “Well, there are a lot of names that mean grace or a derivative of it,” she spoke after locating the meaning and the names that went with it.

He tilted his head and peered over the pages she was looking at. “Oh yeah?”

“Mmhuh, like Alagracia, Ana, Analiese, Anya; which I like, but makes me think of Buffy, so no. Um, Charisse, Graceann, Gracelyn- ooh, I kind of like that.”

“Gracelyn? I kinda do too. What’s it mean?”

Brielle flipped a few pages until she had an answer. “It’s a form of Grace and Lyn, which essentially means, a graceful waterfall.”

“That’s actually very pretty.” He smiled. “And we could call her Grace or Gracie for short. Maybe we should be writing this down.”

She nudged some paper into his lap. “Go ahead.”

Alex chuckled and took up the paper and pen she’d gathered earlier. “Okay.” He jotted the name down then settled the notebook back into his lap. “Should we try a boy name?”

“Sure, you have anything in mind?”

“Not really.”

Her blue eyes studied him a moment then she pressed her lips together and turned back to the book, rifling through it.

He arched a brow. “What are you doing?”

She giggled low and found what she was looking for. “Your name means, protector of men. You know, I think that fits you perfectly. Look at how well you’re taking care of me.”

Alex couldn’t stop his grin. “I think you’re right.” Then he brushed his fingers over her arm and kissed her cheek. “If he’s a he, do you want to name him after me?”

“I really don’t want a junior. But I wouldn’t be against using one of your names for his middle name.”

“Yeah, I don’t want a junior either,” he had to agree. The thought of having another Alexander James around who might possibly go down the same path he’d been down didn’t sit well with him. But he was determined not to make his parents’ mistakes or let his child make his.

“Okay, so maybe we find names that mean strength.” She turned back to the meaning index and began a new search. After a moment her head fell back against his arm and the book fell lifelessly into her lap. “This is hopeless. I can’t find anything I like or can pronounce.”

He kissed her head then slowly reached and pulled the book from her lap, letting it close. “I think we’re both just tired. It’s been a very long week and we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow, so maybe we put the baby naming on hold and get some rest.”

“I think you’re right,” she sounded sleepy. Then she turned and curled herself into his side. “I feel like I could sleep for a week.”

Alex set the book on the end table next to the sofa then shifted and pulled her fully into his arms. “Are you getting enough rest?”

“Not really; sometimes I don’t sleep well.”

That made him pout and his arms tightened around her. “Oh baby, that’s not good, you need your rest.”

“I know, but I get uncomfortable or I can’t stop thinking about how much I miss you and being around you.”

Alex hated that she felt that way and he was causing it. “I wish I knew what to do. I wish I could snap my fingers and make everything right again. I would in a heartbeat, you know.” He shifted his gaze to peer into her sleepy face. “I would much rather have you in my house than Renee. I wish you two could be there together and I’m so sorry that it’s come to this. I just…I don’t know how to fix it or what to do.”

“No, no, you’re okay. I don’t want you feeling guilty about this.” Slowly, she pulled herself from his embrace and sat up to face him. The last thing she wanted was him feeling guilty about the situation. He’d be liable to go right back to the bottle and that’s something she didn’t want. She hadn’t meant to make it sound like she was miserable. Truth be told, she was, but she thought she’d been doing a good job at masking it.

“I can’t help feeling guilty. It’s my fault we’re in the mess we are. All of it is my fault; your pregnancy, Renee being psycho about it, her losing the baby.” Sorrow filled his eyes and he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and dropping his face into his hands. “If I had just done things right from the beginning none of us would be in the positions we are.”

The blonde sucked in a sharp breath. “You don’t mean that.”

He turned his head toward her without lifting it. “Why can’t I? There wouldn’t be any of the pain, drama or guilt going on that we’re all feeling.”

“Because then I would never have met you.” A frown filtered over her face. “Is that what you want? To go back to before we’d ever met? You wish none of it would have happened?”

“No,” he sighed and sat back up, “I just don’t want you to have to be miserable and alone here. I mean, look at you,” he waved a hand around, “you’re living in a hotel room because I have a woman who hates you living in my house. You should be living in my house; not her.”

“Then tell her to go back to her place.”

Alex felt his body sagging into the couch. “It’s not that easy.”

“I know it’s not.” She shifted closer to him and took his hand. “And that’s why I chose to come here. It was my decision, Alex. I could have stayed, but I don’t want to put you through what it would have caused. I know that you’re being forced to make decisions you don’t want and I want to be the last person to put any kind of pressure on you. I don’t want to be the rock that forces you between it and the hard place.”

“But look what it’s doing to you; you can’t sleep, you’re miserable, alone.”

“But it’s only temporary.” She held his hand to her cheek. “You’re going to figure a way to help Renee and move her out of your house and then it’ll be you and me again. I can deal with a little misery and loneliness if it means a lifetime of being truly happy and with you.”

He wet his bottom lip in a hesitant manner. “You really mean that?”

“I do,” as she spoke the words her heart began to beat loudly in her head, filling her ears. “I found home when I found you. You’re where I belong and nothing, not even Renee and all her crap is going to keep us apart. Delay, maybe, but never apart.”

“Will you marry me?”

Brielle blinked at those words, feeling her breath catch in her chest. “Wh…what?”

He looked as shocked as she did, but didn’t let it faze him. Instead, he turned to face her and gripped her hands in his. “Marry me, Brielle. You’re the only one I want, the only one I’ll ever want. No one has ever touched me in the ways you have and just breathing the same air as you strengthens me and makes me want to be the best man I can be for you and for our baby.”

She didn’t know what to respond with. Her chest had grown tight and the sound of her heartbeat pounding against her ribcage was echoing in her ears. “I…Alex…you…” she stammered, unsuccessful in forming a complete sentence or thought.

“We belong together. You love me, don’t you,” it was more a statement than a question.

She tried to speak again, but her voice got lost somewhere in her throat. Instead, she could only nod. She did, she truly loved him with a passion never felt before. And in the short time they’d come to know each other, she already knew there’d never be anyone else.

“Then marry me,” he spoke in a hushed tone. “I want you with me and by my side for the rest of my life. I don’t care about anyone or anything else.”

Tears shone in her eyes and she finally found some of her voice, “What about Renee?”

“She can go back to her place for all I care. I’ll even take her there myself. Hell, I’ll even fly her to her parents so they can help her like they should be if it means that I’ll have you with me forever.”

“It’s so fast,” her voice was but a mere whisper.

He had to agree there, but the minute the words slipped from his mouth, Alex knew they were the right ones. From day one; when he’d seen her in that bar fumbling through her purse trying to find money to pay her bar tab, he knew she was special. Something had stirred in his chest when he’d first laid eyes on her and now he knew what that was; she was his soul mate and they had finally found one another.

“It can be fast when you find the right one,” he spoke as quiet as she had. “I love you and I want you and our baby in my life forever. I want you in my arms when I fall asleep; I want you there when I wake. I want your laughter filling our home and our children’s feet running up and down the hall. I want you there for all my good days and I want to be there for all your bad ones. Don’t you see,” his eyes searched her face and he brushed some tears off her cheek with his thumb, “you’re it for me, Brielle. It’s your name that’s tattooed on my heart.”

She couldn’t speak; a lump the size of a tennis ball was in her throat. Reaching a hand to her throat, she tried to massage it away. Fresh tears filled her eyes and slipped down her cheeks to replace the ones Alex was brushing off.

He kissed her knuckles and held her hands to his chest, right over his heart. “Tell me you love me.”

“I…I…I love you,” she choked out around the lump, the tears coming harder now and throwing herself into his arms. “I love you so much.”

Alex held her tight, rocking them back and forth and feeling his own cheeks grow damp. “Tell me you want to marry me,” his voice was thick and laced with tears.

She did want to marry him; there was no one else she wanted and nowhere else she ever wanted to be. But it was just so fast and so much and there was still Renee they had to deal with. “What…what about…Renee.”

He pulled back and cupped her face with both hands, forcing their teary eyes to meet. “You don’t have to worry about Renee; not now, not ever. Tomorrow, rather you agree to marry me or not, I’m going to call her parents then I’m going to arrange to have her flown to wherever it is they are. I’m not her rock anymore; whatever she and I had is over and in the past. You are all that matters to me now and I’m so sorry I haven’t been there like I should have been.” He kissed her forehead then her damp cheeks before his lips found hers.

The kiss was soft and gentle and lasted only a few seconds, but it filled Brielle with a warmth and she melted back into his arms. “You really want to marry me?”

He peeked down to her face and a broad grin spread over his mouth. “I do, I really do. And I know this wasn’t the most appropriate proposal, hell, I don’t even have a ring. I can’t even propose right.” He chuckled and smoothed a hand over her head then down her back. “But I want nothing more than to make you my wife.”

“When?”

“Well, I’d take you to Vegas tonight if I could.” She laughed low at that and he grew serious. “But honestly, I don’t know; I wasn’t planning to propose tonight. I’d like to do it again with a ring and make it an official proposal and then after that we can discuss when.”

She smiled at that. “Will you get down on one knee?”

“Of course.” He brushed his lips over her forehead. “Baby, I’d crawl over broken glass if it meant you’d agree to be my wife.”

Brielle looked horrified. “I wouldn’t want you to do that.”

“Then say yes tonight and I won’t include broken glass in my plans for the real proposal.”

She pulled once more out of his arms and sat facing him. “I love you, Alex, and I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I just…I didn’t want to add any more pressure to an already stressful situation. I thought that if I told you how I felt, you’d be torn in the decisions you’d have to make and I want to be the last person to ever make you feel that way.” She fiddled her fingers with the hem of her shirt, more tears clouding her vision. “You were already being stretched so thin.”

“Hey, that’s okay,” he took hold of her face and kissed her cheeks, “I knew you loved me, you weren’t voicing it, but it shone in your eyes and the things you said or did. And moving into this hotel room,” his eyes darted around at their surroundings before settling on her face again, “baby, that told me everything I ever needed to know. You were giving up your comfort and your time with me and sacrificing, so to say, your needs for mine; that’s the ultimate example of love right there.”

She was crying again and mentally cursed at her hormones. “I…I just…want you to be...be okay.”

“That’s just it, baby. You’re what makes me okay. These past few days without you around and when you went back to New York have shown me that you’re all I need. It’s made me realize that I never want to be away from you again.”

“I don’t want to be away from you either,” she choked the words out around her tears and fell back into him, pressing her face against his chest.

Alex hugged her tight and close, feeling the love that was radiating between the two. Peering down to her face, he brushed some hair away so he could see her eyes. “So that’s a yes?”

Brielle gave a sobbed laugh and nodded her head. “Yes, yes, I’ll marry you.”

Her words were jumbled with her tears, but he understood them all the same. Relief flooded through him and unshed tears filled his eyes. Ducking his head to hers, he brushed his lips over her cheek. “You’re never going to regret it; I can promise you that. Never. I’m going to spend the rest of my life showing you how thankful I am to have you and how much I love you.”

She didn’t doubt his words. He’d already been doing that even if he didn’t realize it. In fact, they both had. And now they would be together forever. That thought made her cry harder and she held him so tight. She was home, where she belonged. Her heart had finally found its destination.
End Notes:
Thank you for all your wonderful comments. They've kept me motivated and the chapters are coming faster. Please keep them coming. Thanks again! :)
Chapter Thirty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback! Hope you enjoy this one. :)
Alex let himself into his house the next day. It was nearly 1:30pm and he’d just dropped Brielle off at her job. They’d had the doctor’s appointment that morning and it had gone exceptionally well. After their conversation on the sofa and his impromptu marriage proposal, they’d curled up together in the bed and he’d held her the whole night through. That morning, they’d gone out to breakfast and then on to the doctor’s. Her work had given her the morning off and after the appointment they’d had a quick lunch before she was due back to the office.

Dr. Morraseu had said everything looked great as she checked Brielle’s weight and pulse and blood pressure. The tests from her previous exam had come back and the doctor said she saw nothing that alarmed her that the baby was developing in any way but normal. She’d performed an ultrasound and Alex had breathed a sigh of relief when she announced that the baby wasn’t in the right position to tell the sex. They’d have another four weeks to debate on finding out before she’d be back for another appointment. Her next visit had been scheduled for February 4th when she would be 20 weeks. Maybe by then they’d know what they wanted to do.

For now, they had some time. And he needed to have a long conversation with Renee. He meant every word of what he told Brielle the previous night. He was going to call Renee’s parents and do everything short of ordering them to take care of their only child. He wanted to focus on his future with Brielle. She’s the one that needed to be there with him; her and their child.

Tossing his keys to the side table and hanging his hat on the coat rack, Alex glanced around the foyer and listened for any sign of the brunette who had taken up occupancy four days ago. “Renee?” He didn’t get a response and sauntered further into the house. “Renee?” Still nothing.

By the time Alex checked the downstairs, he thought maybe she’d gone out. Slowly climbing the steps, he ventured onto the second level and peered into her room. It was empty. Maybe she’d decided she needed some fresh air. That was fine by him; he could make the phone calls then he’d have to go out and pick Brielle up in a few hours.

Pulling his phone from his pocket, he strode down the hall and entered his bedroom and stopped short.

Renee lay on his bed, her legs extended but bent at the knees, propped on her side with her hair tousled and dressed in nothing but a skimpy black thong and barely there matching bra. Upon seeing Alex, she pushed herself up and stroked a hand over her neck. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

He forced himself to put his eyeballs back in their sockets. “Wh…what are you doing?”

“Waiting for you.” Her fingers ghosted down over her chest toward the swell of her breasts.

He couldn’t decide if he was more shocked than angry or more angry than shocked; either way this didn’t surprise him. “You need to put your clothes on.”

“Mm, I think you need to take yours off.” She slipped to the edge of the bed then rose to her feet. “I miss you, Alex, and I know you miss me too.” She started toward him. “We’re so good together; so hot and raw and intense.”

With every step Renee took toward him, Alex took one back. “Renee, don’t. Get dressed.”

“I don’t want to.” She continued toward him until his back was to the wall. “And I know you don’t want me to either.”

“Yes, I do,” he quickly countered with.

She was just inches from him, her sweet breath hitting his neck in a way that made goosebumps spread over his skin. “No, you really don’t.” She smoothed a hand to his stomach and tugged lightly on his shirt. “Remember how hot we make it? Our cries and moans filling the room and how wet I get for you?”

“Renee…” he pulled his shirt from her fingers. “You need to get dressed and not come into my room again.”

“You don’t mean that.” She pushed his hand away and yanked his shirt up over his stomach and chest. “God, I’ve missed this.”

Alex jerked and grabbed her upper arms, roughly moving her back from him and slipping away from the wall. “You need to stop right now.”

“Alex!” She pouted and tried to grab at him. “I just need you. I need to feel that connection with you again.” Tears began to fill her eyes. “I’m so lonely and I have this gaping hole where you and our baby used to be. Now it’s empty blackness and I just need to feel some comfort. Please don’t take that away from me.”

“I can’t do that for you, Renee.” He released her and shoved his phone into his pocket then moved away and began to gather the clothes she’d stripped off before he’d come into the room. “We’re not together anymore and I can’t pretend to be.”

“Not even for now?” She wiped at her cheeks. “How can you do this to me? To us?”

Anger jolted through his veins and he did his best to not yell at her. “I’m not doing anything to you. You’re the one trying to seduce me and I’ve plainly told you to stop. And now you’re throwing a guilt trip at me to make me feel bad.” Their eyes met and he held her clothes out toward her. “I’m not letting you do that. Get dressed and then go downstairs because we need to have a conversation.”

Renee’s green eyes grew hard and she yanked her clothes from his hands. “Do not talk to me like I’m a child.”

“Then don’t act like one.” He arched a brow at her then brushed past and slipped from the room. Once in the hall, Alex leaned against the wall and rubbed his eyes. What had gotten into her? What made her think he’d even want to do something like that with her? Yes, he definitely needed to get her out of his house before she tried jumping him in the shower.

Rolling his eyes at that thought, he pushed away from the wall and moved back down the hall to the stairs and back to the first floor. Before he headed into the living room to talk with Renee, he wandered into his kitchen and took out a glass, filling it with ice then water from the door of the fridge. A bottle of Corona sounded really good to him at the moment, but he knew he couldn’t go there. Not today, not ever.

Trying to shake it out of his head, he made his way back down the hall and found Renee in the living room, seated on the sofa with her legs crossed and foot wiggling. The anger was just resonating off her and he knew this was not going to be a pretty conversation.

“What do you want to talk about,” she practically snapped at him the moment their eyes locked.

Alex sighed and crossed the room to a black, leather armchair. He set his drink on a coaster on the coffee table and sank down into the seat. “About your living situation.”

“Oh great,” she rolled her eyes, “did your sweet little princess convince you to kick me out?”

“No, I made that decision on my own.” His eyes hardened at the sarcasm in her voice. “You being here is not good for anyone.”

“Are you serious?! You have to be joking because I know you would not throw me out!”

“It’s not called throwing you out if you have your own home to go to.”

“Do you even hear yourself?” She pushed her dark hair behind her shoulders. “You sound like some whipped little boy. Brielle has you so wrapped around her finger and you’re so far up her ass it’s hard to tell where you end and she begins.”

He had to clench his fists and bite his tongue to keep from yelling at her. That would only get her angrier and she was like a stray bullet; never knew where she would hit. “One reason you have to go is because you can’t stop disrespecting Brielle. She has never, not once, disrespected you.”

“Uh, yeah huh,” her head nodded so hard he thought it might come off her shoulders, “she disrespected me the minute she walked into this house. She disrespected me the minute she stole my man. And she disrespects me every time you two are together, because you’re supposed to be here with me…with our child that you caused me to lose.”

“I invited her here, Renee. I did, me! I wasn’t going to have her living in the street. She hasn’t done a damn thing to you and you know that. You’re just upset because since she’s been here the clouds have cleared from my vision and I can actually see you for the person you are; a hateful, vindictive bitch. And I’m not sorry I don’t want to marry someone like you.”

Renee’s eyes narrowed to two slits and she trembled with the anger from his words. “How can you say that,” she seethed low and with venom in her words. “You murdered our child! You did! You never wanted that baby and you could care less about it! You’re nothing but a lying, cheating, murderer!”

Alex rose to his feet as she shouted at him. “Get out of my house!” He flung his arm toward the door, pointing at it for emphasis. “Get your stuff and get out of my fucken house!”

“Alex, don’t,” she pleaded, her tone softening as if she realized what a big mistake it was to yell. “We both know I need help; you told me so yourself.”

But he wasn’t having any of it. “Heh, yeah you really do, but not the kind I can give. Maybe you oughta try a shrink; they can fix that head of yours.”

“Why you little ass.” And then she was charging at him, her fists flailing and her nails catching his skin sharp enough to leave marks.

“Shit!” He grabbed at her arms and turned his head, but she caught his cheek and he knew there’d be a welt there. “Renee, stop it!”

“I hate you!” She spat out, yanking a wrist free and slapping him hard across the face. “I hate you!”

Alex gave a growl and circled his arms around her, capturing her own down at her sides. Then he lifted her off her feet so she couldn’t kick him as easily. “Stop it! Calm yourself down!”

But she wasn’t having any of it. She continued to struggle and shout curses at him until the tears finally cam and she sobbed, her body going slack against his.

When he was sure she was no longer a threat, he carefully set her back on her feet and let her go. Then he reached and took her hand in his. “I’m going to call your parents,” he spoke in a gentle tone, hoping the fight had left her body. “You really need them right now. What you’ve been through is horrible, but I can’t help you anymore. I just wish you could realize that.”

Her only response was a sob and her head went to his chest, her shoulders racking.

“Alright,” he sighed and patted her on the back, “how ‘bout you go upstairs and take a nap and I’ll call your folks?”

She gave a nod and wiped at her face then turned and shuffled from the room. Once she was gone, Alex fell back into his chair and gingerly touched his cheek; the scratch stung and he winced at Brielle seeing it. She was going to be pissed.

But he had other things to worry about right now; like calling her parents and figuring when he could get her out of his house. Glancing to the clock and gauging the time he’d need to leave to go pick up Brielle, he started for his office to have some privacy. He was really going to hate to have to talk to her dad; but it needed to be done.

~*~*~*~*~

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Brielle questioned Alex as he pushed the door open to his house and motioned her to enter. It was nearly six o’clock and he’d just arrived back home after collecting her from work.

The sight of the long red scratch on his cheek and the redness on his other from the slap had immediately aroused her curiosity and concern and she made him tell her the entire story, save for the little seduction attempt in the bedroom, before they even left the parking lot. Of course, she’d wanted to come back and kick the brunette’s ass, but Alex was able to calm her down and smooth things over.

He explained that things had gone very well in his conversation with her parents and they were going to purchase a ticket for Renee to head out to see them first thing Saturday. So she’d finally be out of their lives and things could go back to normal. A huge weight had just been lifted off his shoulders and for the first time in a long time, he felt completely at peace.

“For the 50th time, I’m just fine.” He stepped into the house behind her and closed the door. “It’s just a little scratch. I’ve had much worse.”

“I can’t believe she attacked you.” Brielle set her handbag to the side and glanced around the quiet house. “She’s not here, right?”

“Right.” Alex tossed his keys onto a nearby table and kissed her head. “She’s going back to her place tonight to pack and get ready; you know, find her passport and what not. So we’re in the clear.”

“Phew, good.” She slipped her shoes off. “What should we do for dinner tonight? I could make you something.”

“You cook?”

She chuckled at the surprised expression on his face. “Well, I haven’t in a long time, but I took Home Ec. in high school.”

“Well, I’m curious to see what you can whip up.” He reached and gently pulled her closer. “And then maybe after, we could have a little dessert,” his voice dropped an octave at that and he dipped his head to place soft kisses along her neck.

Brielle shivered and giggled softly. “What is it with men always thinking they’re going to get lucky?”

“Maybe because we’re just that smart,” he murmured it against her neck, his tongue seeking out a sensitive spot on her skin and teasing at it.

“Ooh,” she shivered again and felt the goosebumps rising along her skin. Then she slipped a hand to his head and gently pushed him back. “But hold that thought because I really gotta pee.” Then she was off and hurrying from the room toward the closest bathroom.

She could hear him laughing as she slipped down the hall and giggled to herself. He seemed to be in a much better mood and she could just feel the tension easing away. Getting Renee out of the picture like this was a Godsend and she was so proud of him for finally stepping up and doing something about it. And now, maybe they’d be able to focus on their budding relationship and all the excitement that came with it.

Brielle was just exiting the bathroom a few moments later when something made her pause. She tilted her head and strained her ears, very faintly picking up a soft murmur of some kind. What was that? Moving away from the bathroom, she tiptoed a little more down the hall to the library and slowly peeked around the corner.

Renee stood near the large fireplace with her back to the doorway. She was on the phone and gesturing a hand wildly about. Even from the back, Brielle could see the frustration and she nearly fled back down the hall to let Alex know that his guest hadn’t left yet. But her feet didn’t move and instead, she slipped right against the door and tilted her ear toward it to hear what the brunette was saying.

“I just don’t know what to do anymore. I mean really. It’s like she cast some spell or some shit on him and he’s not the same person.”

The blonde’s brows drew together; was Renee talking about her and Alex? She knew she shouldn’t be listening, but her curiosity was getting the better of her and so she stayed.

“I tried that,” She paused and gave a sigh, nodding her head. “Believe me, I’ve tried. I practically threw myself at him and he wasn’t having it. How the fuck can he turn me down? Me?! I was nearly naked and he didn’t even bat an eye. That bitch has got him by the balls for sure.”

What? Brielle nearly burst into the room and grabbed her by her long hair. How dare she put a move on Alex! He wasn’t available for Renee to do that anymore and someone better let the bitch know before she got a hot poker to her eyes.

But she managed to refrain herself and clutched her hands into fists, feeling the nails pressing into the soft skin of her palms.

Inside the room, Renee was now pacing back and forth. “I really thought I had him. He wasn’t talking much to his mom and we were planning our wedding. He was mine and then she came along and it all went to hell. I even faked that damn pregnancy to try and rush the wedding, but did it work…no,” she drew the last word out in an exaggerated manner. “And the ‘miscarriage’,” she used finger quotations, “I thought that was a foolproof plan and should have worked like magic; but again, that bitch screwed it up. And now, instead of trying to help me get better, he’s shipping me off to my damn parents.”

She paused a moment to listen to the person on the other end and then continued, “Already did that; didn’t eat a couple days or take care of myself and he was almost putty in my hands. But he gets around her again and it’s like he grows some new balls. I don’t know what to do anymore short of giving up.”

Brielle was frozen in her spot as she listened to Renee. Faking the pregnancy, the miscarriage and the whole depression thing was all an act? She couldn’t breathe, couldn’t even move as it all hit home. The bitch. That horrible bitch that stood there, ten feet away calling her horrible names when she was the one that was the monster. How could she do that? How on God’s green earth could anyone do something like that? Play off his emotions and guilt him into things that weren’t even real.

Suddenly, anger was flooding through her again and she stepped into the room, clearing her throat loudly to announce her presence.

Renee whirled around at the sound and her eyes stretched, she froze for a split second, before quickly regaining her composure. “I’ma have to call you back,” she spoke into the phone before snapping it shut. “What the fuck are you doing in here? Eavesdropping on me?”

“You…you...” Brielle was so angry she couldn’t even form complete sentences. All she longed to do was fly across the room and attack the other woman. “How dare you!”

Renee didn’t bat an eye. “Excuse me? How dare I? How dare you stand out there listening to my private phone conversations!”

“Oh, cut the crap! I heard you! I heard every. single. word. How could you do something like that?! What the fuck kind of person are you?!”

“One who isn’t going to let some stupid bitch come between me and my man!” The older woman’s eyes narrowed even more and she rose to her full height. “Besides, you didn’t hear shit. And if you even think about running back to Alex with this I’ll make you wish you’d never even met him!” She hissed the words but they were full of venom and hatred.

“You’re psycho!” Brielle exploded, trying to ignore the threat that had hit home in her tummy. “Of course I’m going to tell him, you bitch! He needs to know the truth, not let some psycho spin him a web of lies!”

“If you even breathe a word of it, you’ll be more than sorry. I can guarantee that.”

“Fuck you! You don’t scare me,” she spat the words out at the other woman. “In fact, bring it. Let me knock you on your ass like Alex couldn’t do earlier.”

Renee gave an angry growl at that and started for her, but Brielle was ready and she grabbed the other woman’s hair, giving it a hard tug and yanking her head to the side. Then she brought her other hand up and pushed at her, trying to keep her away.

The brunette yelped and swung her arms, catching her hand on the collar of Brielle’s blouse. She tugged hard and a loud ripping sound echoed through the room. Then her hand went for Brielle’s hair, trying to grab it and yank it like the blonde was doing to her. “You bitch!” She shouted as she swung again and tried to claw Brielle’s face.

Brielle felt her neck snap to the side when Renee tugged her hair, her fingers tangled in it good. She shrieked and clawed back at the other girl, trying to get her head free. But Renee wasn’t having any of it; instead, she pushed Brielle back into the wall hard and jarred the breath from her body.

Brielle felt the air rush from her lungs and she pushed back as hard as she could, using her foot to swipe one of Renee’s legs out from under her. The brunette caught herself and charged at Brielle again with an angry growl. She smacked the blonde and grabbed a handful of her hair again, tugging it hard.

Brielle yelped and swung a fist, connecting with Renee’s mouth. She swung again and again as Renee tightened her hold on her hair. “Let me go, you bitch!” She shouted to the brunette.

“What the fuck is going on here?!” Alex’s voice filled the room and he grabbed Brielle’s sides, lifting her up into the air and physically separating her from the brunette. Then he stepped between the two, his eyes hard and his body tense.

Renee took a breath and held the back of her hand to her mouth. “She fucken attacked me!”

“You started it!” Brielle glared to the brunette, peering around Alex to see her. “She came at me!”

“You egged me on!”

“Enough!” Alex held up his hands and looked hard between the two before his gaze landed on Renee. “Are you fucken insane?! She’s pregnant! You never hit a pregnant woman!

“She’s crazy, Alex; she just went off on me!”

“I did not!” Brielle edged around the male and stared daggers into Renee.

“She did so!”

“No, Alex,” she cast her eyes toward him, trying to talk over the brunette, “she’s the psycho. She was on the phone telling-”

“Okay, stop!” He interrupted her and frowned at Renee, but his gaze softened when he looked to Brielle. “Are you okay?” He reached and smoothed her hair then touched her red cheek before fingering the torn blouse.

Brielle nodded some. “Yeah, I’m okay.” An arm protectively wrapped around her stomach. “She didn’t get my stomach.”

His eyes drifted to her tummy and he put his hand on it. The look in his eyes screamed at her that he had quite a lot to say, but instead, he kissed her forehead then spoke in a low tone, “Go wait in the kitchen for me.”

“What? Alex,” she glanced over to Renee then back to him, “I have to talk to you. She’s been lying about the whole thing!”

“I have not!” Renee shouted before he could react. “She’s the one lying! She stormed in here throwing it in my face how she had stolen you from me. Then she said she was going to make you believe I’d lied about the baby.”

Brielle gave a growl and started around Alex again, but he caught her arm and gently tugged her back. “You were lying! I just heard you on the phone telling whoever it was that you made the. whole. thing. up. The pregnancy and the miscarriage!”

Alex felt his jaw dropping. He shifted his eyes back to Renee. “Is that true?”

The brunette’s eyes hardened. “Of course not! She’s the one lying!”

“I can’t even believe this!” Brielle threw her hands up into the air. “I know what I heard and that was her on the phone admitting that she made it up.” Then she glowered over at Renee. “I also overheard how she tried to seduce you, but you didn’t even bat at eye.”

The male in the room frowned. He hadn’t told Brielle about that, which could only mean one thing. “You’re lying,” he spoke the words slow and even to Renee as if he were still trying to get a grasp on it all.

Some of the blood had drained from Renee’s face and she quickly fumbled for a response. “I…I, okay, maybe I said that, but I did not lie about the baby. And I can’t believe you’d even consider believing her.”

“Well, why the hell would she lie, Renee? She hasn’t done anything that she needs to lie about. You’re the one that’s been nothing but nasty.”

“She hates me!” She angrily flung her arm toward the blonde. “And she wants us to have nothing to do with each other!”

Alex had to bite the inside of his cheek as the anger over the situation began to flow through him. “Actually, that’s me, Renee, that wants nothing to do with you. I’m done; there’s nothing I can do to help you anymore. I think the best thing for both of us is to part ways and live our own lives now.”

Renee’s eyes widened in horror. “You don’t mean that. That bitch has you brainwashed.”

His eyes flashed at her and he pointed toward the doorway. “Get out of my house! And don’t ever try to contact me again! Are we clear?”

She glared hard at him, her arms crossed over her chest. Then with even more hatred, she turned her gaze to Brielle. “This is all your fault,” she hissed out.

“You made your own bed,” the blonde snapped at her.

Alex gently guided Brielle behind him. “Just get your stuff and leave.”

“Gladly,” She huffed at him then grabbed up her phone from where it had fallen and stalked from the room.

Once she was gone, he turned to Brielle. “Are you sure you’re okay?” His hand went to her stomach in a protective gesture.

“Yeah,” she brushed some tangled hair from her face, “my cheek’s a bit sore, but I’m okay.”

“I’m so sorry, baby.” He gently pulled her into his arms. “I can’t believe she attacked you.”

Brielle settled against his chest, her arms winding around his waist. “It’s okay; I did kind of egg it on. But she was being horrible, Alex.” She pulled back and met his face. “She did make the baby up and the miscarriage. And she was only pretending to be depressed so you’d spend time with her.”

He frowned and tried not to let it bother him, but truth be, it really did. “Well, she’s going to her parents for awhile, so we don’t have to worry about her. And hopefully, she won’t try contacting me again.”

“I hope not.” She pressed her face back into his chest. “I’m just so sorry she put you through that; all the grief and hurt and the guilt that’s been eating you up.”

A lump formed in his throat. “I…” he cleared his voice and tried again, “I can’t think about that right now. How ‘bout we go find something for dinner and try to get our mind off all this?”

Brielle pressed her lips together. The idea of Alex brushing it off didn’t sit well with her, but maybe he just needed some time to think it over and digest it. That was a lot of information and she just didn’t want it to make him go back off the deep end and turn to the bottle. But hopefully with Renee out of their lives, it would never come down to that again.
End Notes:
Viola! The truth has finally come out. Thanks to all you for sticking with me. hehe. Please, let me know your thoughts. I'd love to know what you thought about the fight.
Chapter Thirty-Three by summer
Author's Notes:

Thank you for the wonderful response to the last chapter. :) I hope you enjoy this one and again give your response.

“You two are what?!”

Brielle blinked at the explosion from her friend and shifted her eyes toward the phone. “Um…well, it’s not official yet. We just know that we want to get married.”

“Ho..wh…why…but…you…” Lily was at a loss for words.

Her friend chuckled low. “I know it’s surprising, but we’re going to be a family and we love each other and it just feels right.”

“That doesn’t mean you rush into a marriage.”

“Who says anything about rushing?”

Lily sighed. “You guys haven’t even known each other for more than four months; and a few of those you weren’t even talking. You’ve been out in Cali for almost a month and you already know you want to spend the rest of your life with this guy?”

The blonde frowned at her friend’s words. “Yes, I do. I may not have known him for long, but I know the kind of person he is and I know how we feel about each other. I know that with our situation and how we’ve come to be together, nothing is going to change that.” She glanced toward the phone then out at the view off the balcony of her room. “I would have thought you of all people would understand and be excited for me.”

“It’s just…it feels so fast. I don’t want you rushing into something and it turns out to be a mistake and then you and your baby end up hurt and worse off.”

“Wow, that’s such a negative way to look at things.” A frown creased her brow. “Or it might be the best thing to ever happen to me and I spend the rest of my life more happy than I can imagine. Sure, it might be a little fast, but neither of us is taking this lightly and just because we’re engaged doesn’t mean we’re gonna go off and get married next week. It’s not even official yet; he wants to do it right with a ring and down on one knee.”

Lily’s sigh drifted over the phone line. “I’m sorry, honey, I just want this to be right for you. I don’t want you to have to struggle anymore. I know Alex is a good man and I know he loves you. You guys have been dealing with so much though; his drinking and the whole debacle with Renee and sometimes people make rash decisions during moments like that. I don’t want him to come to you in a month and realize he’s not ready to make that step.”

“You don’t understand, Lily. You haven’t been out here and you don’t see the way things just fit with the two of us. I wish I could explain it in a way that made sense to you, but I can’t. All I can tell you is that we have a future together and we love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together.”

“Okay, honey, if this is what you want and you’re sure on your feelings then I’ll support you.”

Brielle finally offered up a smile. “Thank you.”

“You do realize though, that the press is going to eat you up once they find this out.”

That made her hesitate. “Well, then we won’t tell them.”

“How do you not? They’re find it out and hound you and follow you. They’re already running stories about your pregnancy and this is just going to add more fuel to the fire.”

Brielle’s brows lifted. “They’re still running stories about the baby?”

“Oh yeah. They had pictures of the two of you outside where you work at that studio, I think. Rumor has it you two are an item and he’s either cheating with you and still with Renee or he’s finally dumped her ass and wised up.”

“Well, then they’d be right about one thing.”

“Well, just be careful. I don’t want you guys ending up in some high speed chase or something because those leeches have to get some secret moment between you two.”

“I will be. I’ll talk to Alex about it.”

Lily agreed then gave a short laugh. “I still can’t believe you beat Renee’s ass.”

The blonde giggled low. “I know right. But I couldn’t help it, the thing’s she was saying and what she did to Alex; I just got so pissed off. Gave her a bloody lip and everything.”

Lily chuckled. “Gosh, Brie, I’m sure it felt good, but you could have hurt yourself or your baby. If you weren’t pregnant I’d throw you a party, but please don’t get into any more fights.”

“I’m not gonna. Alex told me the same thing.”

“Speaking of Alex,” Lily drew the sentence out. “What are you two doing for his birthday?”

Brielle blinked, her eyes darting toward the black cell phone at her ear. “Say what?”

“His birthday. I saw it in some magazine; he’s gonna be 33, Brielle. You’re marrying an old man.”

The blonde was at a loss for words. She had no idea when his birthday was; they’d never talked about that sort of thing, which immediately made her feel horrible. “When…when is his birthday?”

Lily paused. “You don’t know? Oh no, Brielle!” She sounded alarmed. “It’s tomorrow. January 9th and he hasn’t even told you?”

“Tomorrow?” You felt worry rise into her throat. There was no way she could pass over his birthday, not after everything he’d done for her and all he had gone through. But tomorrow? What could she do last minute? “What…what am I gonna do? I don’t have any gifts for him, there’s nothing planned. He hasn’t even uttered one word.”

“I have an idea,” her friend sounded calm again. “You’ve been using that camera he and Denise got you, right?”

“Of course; the other day I got some great shots of him before he realized I was even there.”

“Do you have any of the both of you?”

The blonde tilted her head. “There’s a couple; his mom took some before she left.”

“Okay, perfect. All you gotta do is go buy some nice frame then put the best picture of the two of you in it. I’m sure he doesn’t have a single one and it’d be a great start to the relationship. Then you go buy some cake mix and make him a birthday cake.”

That didn’t sound like a bad idea whatsoever. “I can do that.” She grinned. “That actually sounds really great, thank you, Lily.”

Lily’s smile could be heard over the line. “You’re so welcome. And maybe you buy some of those party hats and noise makers and you make some fun out of is; cuz let’s face it, no one likes getting older. Which may be why he hasn’t told you, he doesn’t want to face it.”

“Geeze, the poor guy,” Brielle found herself pouting, “I hope I don’t upset him doing all this.”

“I don’t think you will. I think he’s actually going to really like it.”

“I hope so.” Then she giggled low. “And I think I know who I can call to take me to the store instead of having Alex do it. Then the gig would be up.”

“Oh good. I’m glad you’re able to expand your social circle so you have more than just Alex to lean on. That’s great and all, but you really need friends of your own.”

“Yeah, I’m working on that. There’s a couple girls from the office that I’ve had lunch with and we’re talking about going out one night. And then there’s Laurel. Remember Nick, the blonde guy from that horrible dinner party Renee tried to throw?” When Lily gave a sound she remembered, Brielle continued, “Well, she’s his girlfriend and we exchanged numbers a little while back and she came by the hotel room one night. I think she’d take me.”

“Oh, then definitely give her a call.”

“I will.” She smiled at the surprise for Alex and settled back more in the seat. “So, I signed the last of the papers I needed to for my grandfather’s money yesterday. The attorney’s going to call me on Monday and I’ll know then when I’ll be getting the inheritance.”

“That’s great, Brielle,” Lily spoke with a grin to her tone. “Gosh, what are you going to do with that money?”

“Save some of it for the baby and…” she trailed off. Before the events of that week, she would have replied with buying a house and getting her life ready for being a single mom with a baby. But now…now she had Alex and they had a future. “And I don’t know. Maybe put it aside for the wedding; you know how expensive they are.”

Lily chuckled. “Amen, I sure do. I think that’s a really great idea.” She paused. “You know what you could do with some of it?”

Brielle tilted her head. “What’s that?”

“Go to school; get a degree in photography. Then you could forget the work as a receptionist and open your own photography studio.”

The blonde paused and thought that over. “I should do that. I gave up a scholarship to go to New York and make it big, but no one liked my work.”

“Maybe you just need some schooling in it; learn the right techniques and things you need to do. You can still make it big, Brielle. You’re young and there’s plenty of time for that.”

“I know.” She rubbed the back of her neck. “I’ll think about it, okay?”

“Okay,” her friend agreed.

“Now,” she shifted in the seat until she was in a more comfortable position, “tell me all that you’ve figured out with your wedding, I don’t want any detail left out. It’s hard to be so far away and not in on all the action.”

Lily chuckled. “I’m doing my best to keep you updated.”

“I know you are.” She smiled at that. “Now start talking.”

~*~*~*~*~

Laurel had agreed to help Brielle with her idea for Alex’s birthday. She took the blonde to the store that Saturday evening and helped her new friend pick out a beautiful dark silver frame with tiny skulls carved throughout it. Then they’d headed to the grocery store and picked up what they would need for a vanilla cake with butter cream frosting and a couple candles. Afterward, Laurel had convinced Nick to take Alex out for lunch on Sunday so Brielle would have time to set everything up and prepare the cake.

And now Brielle was in the kitchen with an apron tied around her waist and flour smudged on her cheek. She had decided to forgo the noise makers and party hats; she didn’t want to upset him if he was already depressed about growing older. Glancin to the time, she frowned. Alex would be home any minute and the cake was still in the oven. Nothing had been working out like planned and the mess on the counters was proof of that.

The cake had been a lot harder than she had originally thought and was kicking herself for not going with a mix from a box. But she’d wanted to try something from scratch and now was halfway regretting it. Ingredients lay strewn over the counter and dirty pans littered the sink, but the sweet smell of the cake filled the room and if it turned out okay then she could deal with the mess.

The sound of the door slamming pulled her from her reverie and she quickly untied the apron, pulling it off and stashing it to the side. The cake needed to hurry up and finish baking; maybe she ought to turn the temperature up a little bit. Moving to the stove, she checked the dial on the oven and raised it from 375 degrees to 400 then she hurried from the room to intercept Alex before he got into the kitchen and her surprise was ruined.

“Hey.” She found him in the foyer, hanging his hat on the coat rack and slipping his shoes off.

“Hey, babe.” He flashed her a charming grin. “How are you?”

“I’m good.” She was racking her brain with ways to keep him from the kitchen. “How was lunch?”

Alex tucked his shoes to the side and out of the way. “It was good; I’m just sorry you didn’t feel well enough to come with. You feeling any better?”

She hadn’t wanted to lie to him, but there really was no other option and she’d needed to stay at the house so she could prepare. “I am, I think it was just some morning sickness or something.”

“You sure?” He moved closer to her then his brows drew together and he reached a finger to her cheek, brushing it over it and holding it so she could see the white powdery substance on it. “What’s this?”

“Oh,” Brielle’s eyes widened slightly, “um, nothing.” She brushed at her cheek then wiped it on her shirt. “So, how’s Nick?”

Alex eyed her carefully. “He’s good.”

“Good. Did you two have a nice lunch?”

“Yeah, it was pretty good.”

Brielle squirmed beneath the look he was sending her. “Good. So um,” she searched her brain for an excuse to get back to the kitchen without him following her, “the phone rang a couple times while you were out, but I didn’t answer. You might want to check your messages.”

“Oh, sure, of course.” He leaned in and brushed his lips against her cheek. “You smell like something sweet.”

She blinked then covered it with a laugh. “Stop trying to flirt with me, go check your messages.”

Alex looked slightly confused at that. “Um, okay.” Then he sent her a questioning look and headed down the hall toward his office.

Once he was out of view, Brielle turned and fled back to the kitchen. He probably thought she was losing her mind. Quickly, she swept the dirty dishes into the sink and grabbed a rag to wipe down the counter. The cake should have been done by now and she should have had everything set up. Nick had given her plenty of time, but for some reason it’d taken her longer to get it put together and now she was regretting that.

“So, from the caller ID log, no one called while I was out,” Alex announced as he strolled into the kitchen.

“No!” Brielle dropped the rag and quickly pushed him back out into the hall.

He blinked at that. “What…is going on?”

“You just…you can’t come in yet.”

His brow furrowed. “Why not?”

“Because um…” her pulse was racing on her neck, “because I tried to make myself something to eat earlier and I kinda made a mess. And I want to clean it up before you see it.”

He looked like he didn’t believe a single word. “What’s that smell?”

“It was cinnamon rolls, but the bottoms burned. Let me clean all this up before you come back in.”

Alex studied her a moment; something was going on here, but he wasn’t quite sure what. “Are you hiding something from me?”

Alarm passed through her eyes. “No, of course not!”

“Then what’s going on?”

“I just…you can’t…” now disappointment filled her baby blues and he felt a slice to his heart.

“Okay, alright,” he reached out and took hold of her shoulders, giving them a squeeze, “I won’t go into the kitchen.” He wasn’t sure what she was up to, but he didn’t want to ruin whatever it was and from her desperate attempts to keep him away, knew it had to be important to her.

She looked relieved. “Thank you.”

He opened his mouth to respond when suddenly the shrill beeping from the smoke alarm located above the stove began to fill the air around them. “What the hell.”

Brielle gasped and turned, flying back into the kitchen. “Oh no, no, no, no!”

Alex followed her and his eyes stretched at the smoke that billowed from the stove. “What the hell?”

The blonde was already at the stove, yanking the door open and gagging at the smoke that smacked her in the face. She stumbled back and covered her mouth and nose.

“Here, I got it.” He grabbed a dishrag from the counter then used it to fan some of the smoke away before carefully extracting what looked like it had once been a cake, but now was charred and crispy, from the oven. Kicking the oven door closed again, he set the cake pan on the stove then fanned the smoke from the alarm until it finally quit its incessant beeping.

“Oh, no,” Brielle cried out softly, slipping closer to the cake and surveying the burned damage on it. “How…how did that happen?”

Alex rubbed the back of his neck then crossed the room and opened the window above the sink to help get the smoke from the air. “Looks like it was left in for too long.”

“But I just checked on it and it wasn’t hardly finished baking yet!”

He frowned at the look of devastation on her face. “I’m sorry, baby. Sometimes things just happen.”

“Now it’s ruined,” tears began to fill her eyes as her voice dropped to one of sadness. “It’s ruined and you’re never gonna get to see it. I didn’t even get to put frosting on it.” And the waterworks came as she burst into tears.

“Hey now,” Alex pulled her into his arms and hugged her close, “it’s gonna be okay.” He wasn’t entirely sure what she had been trying to do, but he had a slight idea.

“No, no. it’s not,” she sobbed into his chest.

“Oh, sweetheart, it will be.” He smoothed a hand on her back and kissed the top of her head. “It’s just a cake.”

“Just a cake?” Brielle pulled from his arms and wiped at her cheeks. “It’s not…it’s not just a cake. I wanted to…I wanted to surprise you for your birthday. I…I made it from scratch…it was supposed to be vanilla and say ‘Happy Birthday, Alex’. And now it’s all burnt up!” Her tears caused her voice to hitch and she buried her face in her hands.

Alex wasn’t quite sure if he should go to her or stay in his spot. Obviously her pregnancy hormones were acting up and making the situation direr than it truly was. But that wasn’t something he wanted to voice for fear of upsetting her even more. “I don’t need a cake,” he finally spoke in a soft tone.

“Everybody needs a cake,” she managed between sobs, her hands still over her face.

Pressing his lips together, he glanced toward the burned cake. “Maybe it’s still salvageable.” It didn’t look it, but if it’d make her happy that they try to save it, then he’d do that. Anything to make her tears stop and her to smile again.

Brielle lifted her head. “You…you think so?”

“Well, we can sure try to save it.” He took some potholders and carefully lifted it from the stove then crossed to where the frosting was out waiting. “It can’t hurt to see what we can do.”

“Kay,” she spoke in a heartbreaking tone before joining him at the counter.

Ten minutes later, they had the cake frosted and Brielle had even written out the birthday wishes across the top. By looking at it, one wouldn’t even be able to tell that it had been burned.

“There, perfect.” Alex set the spatula to the side and wiped his hands on a napkin then looked it over. “It looks beautiful.”

“You think so?”

He glanced to Brielle and sent her a smile that reached his eyes. “Absolutely.”

Relief settled over her and she slipped to his side, wrapping her arms around his waist. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He slipped an arm around her and kissed her cheek. “And thank you for the cake.”

“You’re welcome.” That smile he loved so much tugged at her lips. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me today was your birthday.”

Alex smiled sheepishly. “How’d you find out?”

“Lily saw it in some magazine. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I don’t know.” He shrugged some then slipped from her and began to gather the dirty dishes. “It snuck up on me and with all the shit going on I kind of forgot to mention it. It wasn’t like I was trying to hide it from you.”

“I’m just glad I found out. I’d hate to have missed your birthday.” She watched him for a moment. “I got you something.”

Alex paused in his task at hand and looked at her. “You did?”

“Mhm, you want to open it now?”

A grin spread over his face. “Yeah, of course.” He rinsed his hands then dried them with a dishtowel.

“Okay, wait right here.” Then she slipped from the room and hurried up the stairs.

Moments later, she reappeared in the kitchen with a dark silver gift bag, platinum colored tissue paper peeking out the top of the bag. “Okay, here.” She held it toward him, a tiny blush on her cheeks. “I hope you like it.”

“I’m sure I will.” He smiled then accepted the bag. Setting it on the counter, he carefully parted the paper and pulled out the gift. It was a beautifully crafted picture frame with tiny skulls etched along the border. “Oh, Brie, this is great.”

She giggled softly. “Yeah?”

He studied the skulls then his eyes drifted to the picture and his breath caught in his throat. It was one his mother had taken of the two back on Christmas; before all the drama with Renee really went down. They were both seated on the floor, Alex behind Brielle with his legs on either side of her and her back to his chest. Around them wrapping paper and gifts were scattered and they both had bows atop their heads, silly grins on their faces and his hands were on her belly. They looked like a real couple and they both looked happy and so at ease with each other; like they belonged together. Which they truly did.

“I love it.” He brought his eyes to hers then glanced to the picture and smoothed his thumb over the glass that protected the photograph.

“I hoped you would.” She joined him and peered to the picture herself. “I think that’s a really good one of us and I thought you might like to have some photos of the two of us around.”

He smiled at that then set the picture frame on the counter correctly, so it stood up on its end. “I like that idea. We’ll have to go through and change all the pictures up.” He turned and smoothed an arm around her waist, drawing her against his body. “Thank you for this.”

Brielle felt her heart flutter. “You’re welcome.” She reached up and brushed her fingers through his hair. “Thank you for everything you’ve done.”

“I’d do anything for you, baby.”

“I know.” She sighed softly as he rested his forehead against hers. “I feel the same way.”

“I know you do.” Then he kissed her softly, hesitantly at first until she began to respond before intensifying the kiss and both of them finding themselves lost in the other.

The air around the two grew warmer and Alex pulled her as close as he could get her, his hands smoothing down her back to her rear and holding her against his body. She intoxicated him and his head began to swim as she flooded his senses and overtook his mind.

Soon hands were roaming and clothes were being removed, Alex chasing a line of kisses along her neck toward her naked chest. He backed her to the breakfast table off to the side then undid the button of her jeans and slid them down her hips. Brielle stepped out of them and he peeled her underwear down and off as well. She kicked them to the side and he lifted her to the table, stepping back long enough to shed his own pants and boxers.

They came together again, arms intertwining around the other and bodies moving so close heat radiated between the two. Their kisses were fueled by their desire for the other and Alex didn’t want to rush anything, but her sounds and the sight of her flushed and enticing skin nearly drove him crazy and soon he was entering her, their bodies flush against each other and his heart pounding hard in his chest.

He’d never felt this way with a woman before; the heat in his veins, the thundering of his heart, the dryness in his throat, how everything he was experiencing was tenfold than what’d he’d ever experienced before. And he knew it was right. He knew this was the woman he wanted to be making love to for the rest of his life. And as her legs wrapped around his hips and she tried to draw him even closer than he could possibly get, he knew she felt the same way.

And she did. Brielle never wanted the feeling of euphoria to go away. The way his touch made shocks move through her, how it felt to be surrounded by him, the way their bodies felt like they were made for each other. It was perfect, better than even the last time and she never wanted it to end.

“I love you,” Alex managed between panted breaths and his mouth crashed against hers, their climaxes rising up, pushing through their bodies and drawing them closer to that sweet release.

Brielle kissed him with everything she had in her. Her hands smoothed through his hair then to his back and she gripped him tight, feeling her heart slamming against her chest and her toes beginning to curl. She loved him, she really truly did and as they both finally flew off the edge and into that heavenly frenzy of their orgasms, she knew she was never going to let him go.

~*~*~*~*~

“Okay, you ready to try this?” Brielle questioned as she set two pieces of cake down on the counter, where Alex was perched. He wore only his boxers and jeans that hang low on his hips and showed off the toned muscles of his stomach. She herself wore his tee that hung down to her thighs and her panties, the rest of her clothes were somewhere under the kitchen table.

After they’d made love on that very table, the two had moved to the floor before finally lying there trying to gather their breaths and senses. Finally, they’d managed to get halfway dressed and now were going to try the cake Brielle had made.

“Sure am,” Alex picked up his fork and surveyed the piece before him, “it looks good from here.”

“Let’s hope it is.” She took her seat on the stool next to his and spread a napkin on her lap.

“I’m sure it will be; we managed to scrape most of the burn off it.”

“Right, okay,” she watched him with a cute grin on her face, “you get first bite.”

Alex chuckled low. “Alright.” Then he leaned forward and used his fork to cut into the cake. It was a little hard, but not too terribly so, so that was a good sign. Glancing her way once more, he took the bite and nearly choked. The taste of salt filled his mouth and he had to do his best to force himself to eat and choke it down, plastering a grin on his face despite his eyes wanting to water. What had she put in this thing?

Brielle watched him with a hopeful expression. “How is it?”

He didn’t have the heart to tell her it wasn’t good. “Um, it’s not so bad,” he managed after he’d swallowed the bite and cleared his throat. “A little hard, but that’s to be expected with it being burnt.”

“Really?” She carefully eyed her piece of cake.

“Mhm, but you know what?” He couldn’t let her take a bite. Reaching over, he lifted her piece up. “Why don’t we save these for later? I was thinking we could go get dressed and I can take you out somewhere.”

“Oh, you don’t want to finish your piece? Is there really something wrong with it?” She looked confused.

Alex shook his head and set her piece out of her reach. “No, of course not. I can finish it. See.” Then he took up his fork again and began shoveling bites into his mouth. “Mm, it’s good,” he choked out, trying to force each and every piece down his throat.

Brielle watched him then finally gave a relieved smile and relaxed on the stool. “Oh good, I was so worried you’d hate it. I haven’t made anything in a long, long time.”

“Mm, not at all.” He shoveled more bites in until it was nearly gone. “Gosh, that was good.” Leaning into the back of the stool he patted his belly.

“Good. I’m so glad you liked it.” She giggled low then slipped from the stool and kissed his cheek. “Let me get you some milk.”

Yes, milk would be great; the salt in that cake had made him extremely thirsty. “Thank you, baby.”

“You’re welcome.” She poured him a tall glass of the milk then slipped it across the counter to him. “There you go.”

Alex accepted it and gulped it down like he was dying for it.

Brielle giggled low then took a fork from the silverware drawer and dug it into the cake. “I just want to try it.”

Alex choked on his milk and reached toward the fork, but it was too late. She’d already taken the bite and slipped it into her mouth. With halted breath he watched her, wincing inside at the reaction she was sure to have.

The minute the cake was in her mouth, Brielle gagged and shuddered. With an ‘ugh’ sound in her throat, she turned and spit the piece into the sink. Then she grabbed a glass, filled it with water and took a long drink. Finally setting it back on the counter, she looked to Alex. “That was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted!”

He tried to hold in his chuckle. “It um…was a little salty.”

“How…you…how the heck did you manage to eat it?”

This time he did laugh. “I….don’t know, but I didn’t want to upset you. You were already so devastated with the burned cake; I didn’t want to make it any worse.”

“So you ate the whole thing? For me?”

He wordlessly nodded and she moved around the counter, slipping her arms around his neck. “I can’t believe you did that for me.”

“I hate when you’re upset.” He slipped his arm around her and kissed her cheek. “I’d do anything for you.”

“I believe that.” She smiled and kissed his lips lightly. “What I can’t believe is that I’m not upset about the cake. Though I have no idea how I put that much salt into it.”

Alex chuckled. “I’m sure it was an accident; you probably just over measured.” He smoothed some hair from her face and smiled optimistically at her. “But you’ll have plenty more chances to perfect your baking if you want.”

“I do.” She kissed him again then giggled. “I can’t believe you ate an entire piece of burned up, too much salted cake for me. You truly are amazing.”

“You better believe it.” He brushed his lips over hers. “Now what do you say to going out and getting a birthday cake that doesn’t make us gag?”

“I’d say you’re on.” She kissed him again and then again. “Or,” slowly pulling back she moved backward toward the entryway of the kitchen, “we could go upstairs. I’m sure the cake can wait.”

Alex smirked. “Now you’re talking.” And he was off the stool and chasing her down the hall toward the stairs.

Chapter Thirty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:

So sorry about the long delay between chapters, but work is taking its toll on me. Uck. But here you go, have a brand new chapter. Enjoy :)

The next two weeks went merrily along for both Brielle and Alex. They had even fallen into a routine; wake in the morning and have breakfast together then shower and dress and Alex would drive her to work. On some days he’d show up and they’d go out to lunch during her break, but he was always there to pick her up right at five. He finally met her boss, who was more than thrilled and did indeed try to convince him to buy some studio time. Alex told him he’d have to put a call in to their manager.

Then the evenings, sometimes he took her out to dinner and sometimes they stayed in and cooked it themselves or ordered out. He supervised her work in the kitchen, not wanting a replay of his birthday Sunday, but he also taught her how to correctly measure and make the meals so they’d actually be edible.

It all felt natural to him; her there in his arms when he slept and by his side during the day. Her laughter filled him and he found himself loosening up, smiling and becoming more like the Alex he used to be before Renee got her talons into him. And the best part about it all was that Renee didn’t try to contact him. At first, he did admit to being on guard and holding his breath for the phone calls, but every day that passed and she didn’t reach out to him, he relaxed a little.

It was now Monday, January 24th and Alex had just returned from meeting with the rest of the group and their management and record label. The album was over halfway complete and the record executives wanted to kick things into high gear and have it ready to go by the end of February; which gave them just a little over five weeks to finish things. Of course that translated into long, long hours and very little sleep. He had a feeling they were really going to push the guys and he wasn’t too happy with it. Brielle wouldn’t be either and he hated having to tell her and upset her.

“Hey, baby,” she greeted him as he stepped through the front door and into his home.

“Hey.” He tossed his keys to the side and slipped his shoes off. “You get home okay?”

“Mhm, Laurel showed up on time.” Over the last couple weeks the two girls were quickly becoming fast friends. Which meant the couple would be attending Nick’s big birthday bash that Friday night at a club where he’d rented the entire VIP section.

Alex grinned then moved to where she was leaning against the doorframe and kissed her lips. “Good. How is Laurel?”

“She’s doing great. Busy trying to get Nick’s party ready, but good. She said you guys had some big meeting today with some record execs.”

“Right, the one I told you about this morning.” He smoothed his hands to her growing tummy and leaned down, pressing a kiss to it. “How are you feeling? How’s our baby doing?”

Brielle smiled. “We’re both doing well today.”

“Good.” He kissed her belly again then rose up and kissed her lips. “Come sit down and I’ll tell you about the meeting.”

“Okay.” She allowed him to lead her into the room and to the sofa where they both sank into it and got comfy. “So, what’s going on?”

“Well, they’re wanting us to finish the album up that we started in the fall. We were going to finish it anyway, you know, just took the holidays off, but now they’re really pushing for an end date,” he explained, taking her hands in his and watching her intently.

“Okay.” She was watching him back like she didn’t understand where he was going with this.

Alex chuckled low at her perplexed look and took hold of her face with both his hands then he kissed her forehead. “I love how innocent to all of this you are. And I don’t want that to ever change about you.”

“Innocent to what? What is going on?”

He sighed. “They’re really gonna push us to have the album finished up by the end of February. So that gives us five weeks to get the rest of the songs recorded and fix anything about them or the others we want. Then it’ll be finalized and they want to release it in mid to late March.”

“Well, that’s good? Isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it’s good to have it done, but it means I’ll be working long hours and once the album is finished then it’ll be time for promoting it and then planning a tour.” His dark eyes searched her face. “We have a bit more sway in the length of the tour and when we start it, but it’s really up to the dates the venues have available.”

“So, what are you saying?” She didn’t seem to understand what he was trying to get across to her.

“That the next year or so of my life is going to be insanely busy with the album and the tour and all the interviews and promoting I’ll be doing.”

“Oh,” she watched him, her clear eyes studying his face and showing the realization that was starting to set in, “what about me and the baby?”

He sighed and pulled her into his embrace then sank into the back of the sofa with her. “That’s why I want to talk to you. We’re going to need a plan and the sooner we figure it out, the better it’ll be.”

Brielle tilted her head until she could see his face. “What kind of plan?”

“Um…I’m not really sure.” He sighed then massaged the bridge of his nose. “They said they would want to start the tour sometime in the summer and we usually start rehearsals six weeks ahead of the tour.”

“But I’m due in the summer.”

“I know you are.”

She pushed herself up and out of his arms, her hand pressed to his chest. “You’re saying, you’d go off on tour and leave me here, about to give birth? What if I have the baby and you’re in like…Australia or something? I can’t do this alone, Alex. I just can’t.”

He could hear the panic starting to set into her voice and nodded his head, taking her hand in his and gently shh’ing her so she would calm down. “I know you can’t and you’re not going to have to. I’m not going to miss the birth of our child. I told them I wasn’t going to leave you alone so they would have to start the tour sometime after the baby’s birth. And if I’m not there right away, or have to miss a few shows, then so be it.”

“Okay,” she relaxed some at that and allowed him to guide her back to his chest, “wait, what about after the baby is here?” And then she was sitting up again. “You’re still going to leave me alone to take care of a newborn? I can’t do it alone; I don’t know how to take care of a baby. I don’t know the first thing about being a mom; I’ll end up scarring them or hurting them. I can’t do it by myself!”

The panic was back and he pulled her back to his arms, holding tight and smoothing a hand gently over her back. “You’re not going to have to do it alone,” as he spoke he could feel a pressure in his chest at the strength he felt in his words. “I’d never leave you alone. If I have to leave, then I’ll have my mom come stay with you or something. Okay?”

She nodded at that and slipped her arms around him, holding him close and relishing in the comfort of feeling safe in his arms. “She will know what to do.” A pause. “Will she come out here even if you’re here?”

“Yes, she will and I’m sure of it. She’ll want to see her grandbaby and we’ll need her help, because I don’t know how to take care of a baby either.” He chuckled low and kissed her head then glanced to the pocket of his jeans when his cell phone sounded from it. “Meh.”

Brielle chuckled and pulled back, smoothing her shirt over the bump in her tummy, allowing him to retract his phone and answer it.

“Talk to me.”

“Alex?” Whitley Preston, his publicist’s voice came over the line.

Alex glanced to Brielle. “Oh, hey, Whit, what’s going on?”

She sighed heavily. “We’re going to need to do some serious damage control.”

He felt his heart leap into his throat. “What? Why?”

“I’ve been getting calls all morning on responses you have for the article that just came out in Top Gossip magazine.”

His brows drew together. “What article?”

“Well, it seems Renee paid a little visit to the magazine and gave them an in-depth, ex-fiancée-tells-all expose.”

“What?!”

Brielle jerked at the ferocity in his voice then her head snapped to her belly when she felt a tiny flutter inside. What was that? Holding her breath, she studied her stomach and then felt it again. It was tiny, barely noticeable and felt like something was tickling her from the inside. With a small giggle, she smoothed a hand over the bump, realizing what that had been. The baby was saying hello.

With an excited grin, she turned back to Alex, momentarily forgetting he’d been on the phone. But the grin died on her lips as she saw the anger flashing in his eyes and the vein in his neck throbbing. What was going on? Half afraid to say something for fear of that outrage being taken out on her, she slowly slipped from him and sat up fully on the couch, putting some space between their bodies.

Alex didn’t seem to even notice though. He raked a hand through his hair and frowned hard at his cell phone. “You have to be fucken kidding me! Of course she would fucken do this! I cannot fucken believe it. No, no, I can and I’m going to kill her is what I’m going to do. She has no fucken right to say any of that bullshit!”

His publicist must have said something that made sense because he sank into the couch and held a hand over his eyes, his thumb and middle finger each massaging a temple.

“What do we do?” He questioned in a calmer tone after a long moment that could only mean Whitley had been speaking. “Heh,” he snorted after a slight pause, “you’re damn right I’m going to make a statement and you’re damn right I’m going to talk to that magazine.”

Brielle frowned at that statement. Something not very good was going on and she was starting to pick up on what it might be. From his end of the conversation, it sounded like someone had been talking to the press about Alex, or his group, and it hadn’t been good stuff either. And then the realization of just who that might have been was slamming into her chest and leaving her winded. Renee.

“Yes, yes, do that. Email me the damn thing.” Alex rose from the couch and quickly strode from the room.

The blonde watched him go. Oh, this was not good at all. There’s no telling what the article said, but she could certainly imagine the horrible lies that evil woman was spreading. Wasn’t there something they could do about that if it was all lies? She could vaguely remember leaning about something like that in one of her classes in high school.

After a few moments, when Alex didn’t return, Brielle pushed herself up off the couch and went in search of him. He may be angry, but she wanted to know what was going on. This was her life Renee was probably smearing as well.

Her search ended in his office, where he was perched before his computer, one leg bouncing wildly about and a cigarette pinched between two fingers. His dark eyes were even darker than she’d ever seen and he was scowling at the computer screen, looking like he wanted to grab inside and pull the contents out to smash to smithereens.

“Alex?” She stopped in the doorway and used the most softest of voices she could muster.

His eyes jerked in her direction and the scowl softened. “Hey.”

She remained where she was. “What’s going on?”

He frowned, inhaled from his cigarette then blew the smoke off to the side. “I should have known she would do something like this.”

“Do something like what?”

“This!” He waved a hand at the monitor. “She ran her fucken mouth to Top Gossip and they printed an article about it all.”

Brielle’s brows drew together and she slowly advanced into the room and to the desk. “Top Gossip? Isn’t that a gossip rag like The Enquirer?”

“For the most part, but they focus more on celebrities and not as much on bat boy.” Then he looked to his cigarette. “Shit, you can’t be around this stuff.” And he was extinguishing it into an ashtray and waving away the lingering smoke.

“What did she say?” The blonde peered over his shoulder to the computer screen.

Alex waved a hand at it and leaned back in his chair. “Take a look.” He was giving her permission to read it and so she did, horror gripping her chest at what the article entailed.

The Two Timing Backstreet Boy?

AJ McLean may sing about true love and falling head over feet for someone, but the musician who’s one fourth of the popular musical group The Backstreet Boys doesn’t know the first thing about it. Not only has he been going behind his fiancée’s back to see other women, but now he is fathering a child with one of those women “and she’s considerably younger than he is”. His fiancée, Renee Kemp, was sure to point out when she joined us in our offices for a sit down chat.

When asked why she was coming forward, Kemp simply stated that, “It’s time for the truth to be told. I don’t want anyone else to ever feel the way I do and so I’m hoping my story may open some other woman’s eyes.”

“He’s always been a smooth talker,” she goes on to say. “He knows what to say and how to say it to make you believe every word. You feel like you’re the only girl in his world and that you mean so much. But in reality you’re one of many and you don’t mean a thing.”

“I truly thought he was ‘the one’. He was so wonderful and sweet and romantic and we just meshed together so well. But the entire time he was cheating on me and then he got some random girl from a one-night stand pregnant and suddenly she became more important than me and our wedding. We were going to plan a life together, but I guess it wasn’t good enough for him. He flew her out to California, found her a job and moved her into his house. If that doesn’t say he prefers a complete stranger over his own fiancée then I don’t know what else will.”

And what really drove the knife in deeper? “I found out I was pregnant and he acted like I had some disease. He hardly wanted to be around me or help me and he didn’t seem to care if something happened to me or the baby. And then I lost the baby and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him more relieved. He was finally free to go off and play house with her.”

And that’s exactly what he did. McLean abruptly broke things off with the devastated woman who was still trying to recover from a miscarriage and sent her packing all the way to her parents when she approached him, wondering if it might be possible to work things out, “or at the very least, talk about what happened,” She explained choking back the tears.

“Just because he’s a celebrity doesn’t mean he’s still not a jackass,” she was sure to point out. “Money, fame, power; they all go to your head and turn you into someone awful. I don’t think I ever truly knew him. But now he’s that girl’s problem and they deserve each other. He’s going to screw her over just as badly as he did to me. I’ve learned my lesson and I hope other girls out there won’t let the wool be pulled over their eyes. No one deserves to be treated that way. Not even if the guy is world famous.”

So take note, ladies. And maybe start questioning your man’s motives and whereabouts lest you should end up like Miss Kemp; heartbroken and completely alone. “I would never wish this on anybody. Losing a child, having your relationship destroyed and your trust shattered turns you into a completely different person. I now have a jaded view on love and the next guy that comes along is going to have to work hard to prove he’s not just another AJ McLean.”


Brielle was speechless; completely and utterly speechless.

Alex gave a snort and closed the webpage with an angry click of the mouse.

“I…” she turned to him with horror on her face, “can…can she do that? She’s lying!”

“But there’s no proof.” He pushed away from the desk and rose from his chair. “I’m going to have to counteract with my own interviews, so the entire world doesn’t think I’m some cheating dog that has no feelings. Bitch was never even pregnant.”

“Can’t …can’t you sue her for slander?”

Alex ran a hand over his face and took a breath, trying to rein in his emotions and not become a cursing and angry mess of a man in front of her. Though he really could use a drink at the moment. “Well, since it’s written, it’d be libel; but she’s not outright lying about anything but the baby and pregnancy and there’s no way to prove that.”

“But she’s calling you a jackass and implying that you’re a lying and cheating dog.”

He rubbed his temples, trying to ignore that thirst for alcohol that was growing stronger by the minute in his mouth. “Her opinion of how the relationship ended. Her words though were all true; I was cheating on her, though we both slept around on each other and knew it, and I did move you out here and into my place and you are having my baby. All of that’s true. She used her words carefully and it would be too hard to prove she’s just being malicious and vindictive and not simply evoking her First Amendment rights.”

“That bitch!” Brielle frowned hard and had to clench her hands into tight fists, wishing Renee was standing before her so she could attack her again. She should have punched her in the nose when she had the chance.

“All I can do now is give my side of the story; explain how I felt about things and the open relationship that was between the two of us. And tell them how I feel about you.” His eyes settled on hers and the anger in them dissipated some at the sight of her.

She wet her bottom lip slowly, her heart knocking around in her chest some. “Tell them about…us getting married?”

“No, of course not!” Alex shook his head adamantly. “That’s not any of their business right now and we need to smooth this shit over before sending everyone into a frenzy about that.”

“Oh.”

He sighed and chewed the inside of his cheek, his anger at the situation seeping back in. “Damnit, I need a drink.” Then he strode from the room before Brielle could even react.

She was hot on his heels though. “Alcohol? You’re going to let Renee of all people drive you to drinking?”

“She has always driven me to drink, always.” His dark eyes met hers and she felt the charge in them make chills run down her spine.

“You can’t let her win, Alex, that’s exactly what she wants!” She grabbed his arm and yanked him to a stop, turning his body to face hers. “She’s wherever the hell she is smirking and gloating because she knows she’s reducing you to nothing but a weak man who will drink himself to death. You can’t let her have that kind of a control over you!”

Alex watched her with hard eyes, feeling that tremble in his body at the need for alcohol and the anger at what Renee had done to him. “What…do I do,” he managed to choke out.

“Anything but pick up a bottle.”

At her words, he gripped her arms and pulled her body to his, his mouth crashing down on hers and backing them to the wall, Brielle’s back hitting it with a soft thud. Before she could even gain her senses, his hands were pushing at her pants and he was yanking them down her legs and off, her underwear following.

Then he freed himself and had her up against the wall, forcing her legs around his waist. She gave a breathless sound of surprise which turned into a hot cry as he pushed into her warmth and began to move quickly, as if he couldn’t get enough and would never be satisfied.

It was hard and hot and he kissed her even more intensely, as if he were trying to drain her very spirit. His fingers pressed into the skin of her rear and his movements forced her lower back against the wall, the thud sounding with every thrust.

It didn’t take very long before Brielle’s ecstasy was hailing down around her and when she cried his name over and over, her chest heaving hard and her cheeks flushed, he felt himself spiraling off that edge of control right behind her, her name spilling from his lips just as loud.

Alex never wanted it to end, but like all great things, it eventually did and they both floated back down to the reality around them. Slowly, he lowered her to her feet then stumbled back against the opposite wall. His legs felt weak and his lungs were crying out for fresh air, but that intense craving for a drink was gone.

Brielle’s own legs wouldn’t hold her up and she slid down the wall until she was sitting on the floor, her feet in front of her. The bun she’d had her hair tied up in was slowly unraveling and locks of golden hair hung messily in her face and spilled around her shoulders.

She looked like an angel to him, a pregnant one and suddenly he blinked and he fixed his pants then lowered down next to her. “Are you alright? Did I hurt you or the baby?” He touched her tummy in a caring manner.

“N…no,” she managed out, her throat dry and her head still spinning from the encounter. “But we…pro’lly shouldn’t do it that way again,” it was an effort to force the words out coherently. At the moment, she wanted to push him against the floor, straddle him and do it all over again.

Alex chuckled and kissed her cheek. “I’m sorry. We’ll have to research the best positions for you once your tummy starts to get bigger and we can’t reach each other face to face.”

“Mmhmm,” she smoothed her hair and rubbed her cheeks then met his eyes. “I know that ignoring everything that happened earlier is probably not the best thing, but do you wanna go upstairs?”

She didn’t have to ask him twice. “I think that’s the best idea I’ve heard all day.” He rose to his feet then gently helped her to her own before scooping her up into his arms. “And at the moment, I want to do nothing but forget about that article. In fact, how about we forget about the article the entire rest of the day and night?”

Brielle giggled as he started for the stairs. She slipped her arms around his neck and kissed his ear. “Mmkay, sounds good to me.”

Then they ascended the stairs.

Brielle/Alex: 1, Renee: 0.

~*~*~*~*~

“I think I felt the baby move earlier,” Brielle murmured as she nuzzled her head against Alex’s chest hours later after they had finished another round of ravenous love making. Her sexual appetite was going crazy and she was doing her best not to jump his bones again. Though he’d made no complaints yet.

“You did?” He lifted his head from the pillow and looked to her stomach. “What did it feel like?” Covering her stomach with his hand, he waited for any sign of the baby inside. “Can I feel it?”

“I don’t think you can yet.” She watched his hand then placed hers over the back of his. “But soon, I’m sure.”

“I hope so.” He kissed her head then turned back to her tummy. “What did it feel like?”

“Like,” Brielle thought over the best way to explain it, “like there is a butterfly inside that’s flying around.” Then she laughed because that sounded completely ridiculous. “I’m sorry, that’s not a very good description.” Slowly shifting some against him, she turned to face him more and reached out, tickling lightly at his tummy. “It feels like that.”

Alex jerked then gave a shiver and chuckled. “That tickles.”

“Well, that’s what it feels like. Like someone is tickling the inside of my tummy.”

He laughed and pulled her to him closer, hugging her all secure. “I love you.”

She giggled and wallowed in his scent and warmth. “I love you.”

“Mm, good.” He kissed her neck then finally released her and sat up, his hair sticking up in all kinds of disarray. “Are you hungry? We haven’t even had dinner.”

“It’d be more like a midnight snack now.” Next to him, she pulled herself up and smoothed her hair then reached over and fixed his. “You look like you’ve been rolling around in the hay and have the worst case of bed head ever.”

Alex smirked. “It’s all that lovin’ you put on me.” Then he slipped from the bed and reached for his boxer shorts. “What do you wanna eat?”

“A burger,” she sat up more at that thought, “Ooh yes, a nice, big, juicy burger. With cheese and extra mayo and lettuce.”

“I don’t have any burgers.”

Brielle pouted some.

Alex sighed and reached for his jeans. “Wendy’s burgers okay?”

She giggled and clasped her hands together. “You’re the best! A baked potato too, with extra sour cream.”

“You’re so spoiled.” He leaned over and kissed her head. “Anything else?”

“No, but hurry back, because now that you’ve mentioned it, I am pretty hungry.”

“Alright, love.” He pulled on a shirt next then kissed her a few times before finally tearing away and heading out of the room, calling back that he’d be quick and she better stay naked.

She laughed and watched him go then slowly extracted herself from the blankets and slipped from the bed. She needed to pee yet again and she wanted to clean up some before he returned. The evening may have not started out that great, but it was definitely ending up to be one of the best nights yet.

End Notes:

And voting is going on for the Felix Awards! I've been nominated so check it out and if you love my fics, cast your vote my way. http://bit.ly/FelixAwards And as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments on the chp. Thanks!

Chapter Thirty-Five by summer
Author's Notes:

Holiday season always keeps me so busy so I apologize for the delay in posting. I hope you're still reading this fic. Thanks to those who are. :)

“What is going on up there?” Brielle questioned as she tried to peer out ahead of the black Porsche Cayenne Alex was slowly steering toward the nightclub. It was Friday night, January 28th, and they were arriving for Nick’s big birthday bash. Up ahead at the entrance of the club, and where the valet parking was, all she could make out were mobs of people and flashing lights.

Next to her, Alex frowned and gave a sound of disgust. “No, it’s the paparazzi.”

“What?” Her round eyes widened and she gripped the armrest. “The paparazzi? Are you sure?”

“Completely.” His frown deepened. Since the news of Renee’s treachery four days ago had come out, he’d been doing his best to ignore it. His publicist wanted him to make a statement about Brielle and his mother wanted him to do an interview to set the record straight. At first, that’s what he thought he should do, but the more he thought it over, the more he realized it wasn’t anyone’s damn business and he wasn’t going to say a word until he was ready. And clearly, he wasn’t there yet. So Brielle, Renee’s lies and all his issues and problems were going to stay out of the limelight.

“Why are they here?” She peered ahead, trying to crane her neck around the vehicle in front of them.

“Because they want the money shots,” came his reply. He looked her way. “Just stay in the vehicle until I come get your door. They’re gonna be shouting questions and taking pictures, so make sure to keep your eyes at the ground so the lights don’t blind you and you trip.”

This time it was Brielle’s turn to frown. “That doesn’t sound safe.”

“It’s not really, but there’s not much that can be done.” Then he flipped his visor down and reached over to do the same to hers. “This will help while we’re in the SUV.”

“Wow, it’s pretty serious, huh?”

He frowned and the muscle in his jaw twitched. “Think of it like they’re a pack of lions and you’re the lovely gazelle.”

“Bitches.”

That made him laugh despite the annoyance he was feeling over the situation. “Assholes and bastards is more like it, but that works, too.”

She giggled low and then soon they were pulling up to the curb in the valet and the pack of photographers was descending. Alex slipped from the driver’s side and quickly crossed behind the SUV to her door. Even before he made it, the money hungry paparazzi were shouting their questions and flashbulbs were going off like it was the fourth of July.

Brielle did her best to keep her head down when Alex opened her door and took her hand, helping her onto the sidewalk. She was worried she was going to trip and fall on her face and hurt herself or the baby, but Alex kept a firm grip just above her elbow as he steered them toward the VIP entrance of the club. They were surrounded before she even had a chance to blink and the questions flew at them faster than a fast-pitch in baseball.

“AJ, AJ, is this the woman who ruined your relationship with your fiancée?”

“Is it true she’s having your baby?”

“Are you in a relationship with her? What about your fiancée?”

“Come on, AJ, we just want a few answers!”

“Are you cheating on her?”

“What’s your name, sweetheart?”

“When’s the baby due?”

“How do you feel about causing your fiancée to lose her baby?”

“AJ, are you drinking again?”

Brielle felt like her head was spinning and she had no idea how Alex managed to work them through the throng of photographers and into the building. She had tried to keep her head down, but it was almost impossible with the closeness of the paps and the flashbulbs were nearly blinding her.

But they made it inside and she had to take a few moments for her eyes to adjust and her heart to stop racing. It had risen up into her throat and she reached up, massaging her fingers at it in an attempt to calm herself.

“Are you okay?” Alex gently pulled her to the side and looked her over. “They didn’t touch you, did they?”

“N...no,” her voice wavered, matching the trembles she felt throughout her body. “That…that was worse than the last time.”

He sighed and pulled her into his arms, trying to will her body to stop shaking. “Well, there were a shitload more than last time, too.” He was referring to the time they had left the doctor’s office to find the small group of paparazzi waiting outside.

“I felt like I couldn’t breathe,” her words were muffled against his chest.

“I’m so sorry.” He tightened his hold on her and kissed her head, leaving his lips pressed to her soft hair.

They stayed like that for a moment then Brielle finally pulled back and smoothed the dark dress she wore. It hung around her in a way to halfway disguise her stomach so only those that knew she was expecting would be able to tell. And the jacket she wore over it helped to conceal it to anyone who just might suspect like all the photographers had.

“I need to pee.”

Alex chuckled and took her hand in his. “Okay, let’s get you to a bathroom then we’ll go up into the VIP and see Nick.”

At that comment, the blonde’s eyes widened in horror. “Oh no! We left his present in the car!” She could picture in her head exactly where it was; on the console between the two seats, a shiny, silver gift bag with shimmery, blue tissue paper.

Alex blinked. “Shit. I was too worried about getting you safely inside the building.”

Brielle shifted her gaze toward the entrance doors then shook her head adamantly. “We can’t go back out there. They’d eat us alive.”

“Don’t you worry about that.” He took her gently by the shoulders and began to steer her toward the restrooms. “I’ll have someone run out and get it for us. Let’s get you to the bathroom.”

And that’s what they did. Brielle felt much better after she was able to use the restroom then refresh herself in the mirror. Luckily, she carried some extra lipgloss and powder in her clutch just for that purpose.

After meeting up with Alex outside the door, they checked their jackets then found their way to the VIP and were allowed past the club security and into the area. Someone had decorated it with silver and gold crepe paper and streamers and a large banner that read Happy Birthday, Nick! was strung above the bar.

“Wow, decorations and everything,” she said to Alex, finding herself having to speak up over the sounds of the music that was reverberating off the walls and filling the air around them. Over the balcony to the dance floor below, the regular club attendees were dancing away, drinking and partying.

“It’s either ‘go big or go home’ when it comes to Nick.”

She chuckled at that and tried to peer around the crowd that was gathering. “Do you see him? I want to find Laurel.”

Alex was quiet a moment as he studied the faces then he pointed over toward the bar. “He’s right there, doing the shot. Laurel’s next to him.” He gently prodded her in that direction. “Go on over, I’m gonna get someone to grab the gift from the car. I’ll be right there.”

She nodded then made her way across the room, weaving through the throngs of people that were talking and laughing and seemed to be having a good time.

“Hey, guys,” she greeted them once she was within hearing distance.

Laurel’s eyes brightened at the sight of her new friend. “Brielle, you made it!” She slipped from the stool and drew the blonde in for a quick hug and kiss on the cheek. “I’m so glad you did.”

“Yeah, the place looks great.” Brielle glanced around at the decorations again then back to Laurel and Nick. “Happy Birthday, Nick.”

He set his empty shot glass on the bar and pushed it away then flashed his dazzling grin. “Thank you. I’m glad you decided to come. Where’s Aje?”

“Oh, um, he had to talk to someone,” she blurted out, not wanting to tell him they had forgotten his gift in the SUV and needed to retrieve it. “He’ll be over here in a minute.”

Nick nodded at that. “So, everything going okay with you two?”

“I guess so.” She gave a half shrug.

“I saw that article.”

Brielle frowned and fiddled with the closure of her handbag. “Oh.”

Laurel rolled her crystal blue eyes and smacked her boyfriend lightly on the arm. “Ignore him; he’s drunk and sometimes he says things he shouldn’t when he is. I told him not to bring that up tonight. But of course, he never listens to me.”

“Oh, no, that’s okay.” She gave a slight chuckle. “It’s a really sore spot for Alex right now, so please don’t say anything to him. The press already caught us outside and hammered him.”

Nick’s own blue eyes hardened. “You mean the paparazzi? They don’t deserve being called press. They’re a bunch of wolves out for blood and could care less about us. We’re people, too, you know.”

Brielle tried to hide her chuckle. “I know you are.”

“You don’t think we want normal lives?”

“I’m sure you do.”

“Damn straight.” He nodded firmly in a way to say that was final then turned back to the bar and ordered another shot.

Next to him, Laurel rolled her eyes again then slipped closer to the blonde. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have anything to be sorry for.”

The brunette smiled a smile that showed off her pearly whites. “So, how are you feeling?”

Brielle glanced to her stomach than back to Laurel. “I’m doing okay, actually. I started feeling the baby moving around inside after you dropped me off on Monday.”

“Really?” The other female’s eyes widened. “Can we feel it yet?”

“No yet.” Brielle shook her head. “The books say you guys won’t be able to feel anything for a few more weeks yet.”

Laurel shook her head some. “Gosh, I can’t believe you’re at the halfway point and you’re hardly showing. I hope when I have kids that I’ll be like that. Though my luck, I’ll be the size of a cruise ship before the thing’s born.”

Brielle laughed. “Aw, you don’t know that. You’re so skinny you might not show.”

“Are you kidding me?” She pressed a hand to her flat belly. “This thing will pop right out and I’ll knock down someone standing ten feet away.”

That mental made her laugh and she had to turn her head to the side.

“What’s so funny?” Alex’s voice came from her left as he joined the group and slipped an arm around her waist.

Laurel giggled then waved a hand at him. “Oh, just girl talk.” She leaned in and kissed his cheek. “Glad you could make it. How are you?”

“I’m doing good.” He squeezed her hand in a friendly gesture then glanced over to where Nick was engrossed in a conversation with a friend. “I’ll have to give my greetings to the birthday boy in a bit.”

Brielle’s eyes flittered to his face. “He’s kinda drunk.”

Alex snorted some. “It’s his birthday; he usually gets drunk on those days.”

“Are you going to be okay to be here?” She questioned, turning toward him more and keeping her voice low so just Alex could hear her.

“Yes, baby.” He kissed her temple. “Like I told you at the house, if I start having troubles I will let you know. You remember our code word?”

She grinned. “Orange juice.”

“Right, if I tell you I have a weird craving for orange juice, that means, let’s get the hell out of here.”

“Right, I remember.” She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him from the side.

“Gosh, you two make such a cute couple,” Laurel’s voice interrupted their private conversation.

Brielle giggled softly. “Thank you.”

“Yeah, it’s about time you two got together and got that bitch out of the way.”

Three sets of eyes turned to where Nick had joined them.

He shrugged. “It’s true.”

Alex chuckled. “Thanks, man. We’re pretty glad things are turning out the way they are, too.” Then he stepped away from Brielle and greeted Nick in a handshake, half hug, back thump kind of way. “Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you, thank you.” Nick returned the greeting then pulled Laurel to his side. “Brielle told us about the run-in you had outside.”

The muscle in Alex’s jaw twitched at the memory. “Yeah, it wasn’t very pleasant.”

“Well, hell, it never is.”

“Got that right. And I think when we take off; we’ll slip out the back entrance.”

Nick’s eyes widened. “Ooh, that’s a good idea.” He exchanged a glance with his girlfriend. “We may do that, too.”

Alex laughed at that then let his eyes survey the room. “You have quite a turn out.”

“I know right,” Nick agreed. “Howie even said he may come by, but I haven’t seen him yet.”

“He’s not gonna show. You know that’s how he is ‘yeah, yeah, man, I’ll definitely stop by for a bit’ and he never shows.”

Nick snorted in laughter. “I’ll have to rag on him about it on Monday.”

“Tell him you waited all night and were so disappointed when he didn’t make it.”

“He broke my heart.”

Laurel laughed and nudged Nick with her arm. “You two are awful.”

He smirked then kissed loudly on her neck. “Mmkay, I think we’re going to go dance for a bit. We’ll catch you two later. Have a good time!” Then he whisked her off and Alex and Brielle were left standing alone.

“Well, he’s definitely a different person when he’s drunk.”

Alex chuckled. “He really is. He loses all his inhibitions and responsibility. He’ll say whatever’s on his mind and not care how it offends anyone.”

Brielle nodded her head in agreement. “I can definitely see that happening.”

He chuckled again then wrapped his arm around her shoulders and steered them toward a table. “Are you thirsty or anything? You want something to drink?”

“Actually, I kind of want to go dance.”

“Oh yeah,” a grin tugged at his lips, “then right this way.” And he was leading her away from the tables and toward the dance floor.

They spent the next few hours dancing and visiting with the other party goers. Brielle met more people than name’s she could remember and someone did bring their gift into the party, though she had no idea who it was. Finally, everyone gathered around a long table where a large white cake decorated with gold and silver and spelling out ‘Happy Birthday, Nick’ covered the top. Thirty-one candles adorned it and Nick made a wish then blew them all out in one breath.

Afterward, came the gift opening and more visiting and finally some time well after midnight, Alex and Brielle gave their goodbyes, gathered their belongings and made their escape out the back door.

The small alleyway was silent as they slipped out the door and Brielle breathed a sigh of relief. She had been expecting another pack of the photographers to be waiting. “Thank God,” she whispered out to Alex as he led her down the slight steps and toward the direction the SUV would be waiting.

“I know right.” His grip on her hand relaxed and together they strode away from the nightclub. “Did you have a good time?”

“I did.” She smiled at him. “Nick certainly knows how to throw a party.”

“That he does. He’s always been that way though. Wherever we are he knows how to find a good time.”

“I bet he has; he seems to be the party boy type.” They rounded a corner and suddenly flahsbulbs were going off right in front of her eyes and temporarily blinding her.

“AJ, did you drink tonight? How was Nick’s party? Have you heard from your fiancée since you broke her heart? How do you feel about losing a child, but expecting another? Is this the mother? When are you due? What’s your name, sweet thing?”

The questions bombarded them and when Alex’s vision cleared enough to be able to see, he felt anger slicing through him at the lone guy that was taking shot after shot and getting right in Brielle’s face. She looked like a deer in headlights with eyes so wide and frightened and her hands up as if to ward him off if he decided to lunge at her.

“Hey, knock it off!” He shouted at the guy, grabbing his shoulder and yanking him away from her. “Leave her alone!”

The guy, who couldn’t be older than twenty and had tousled blond hair, stumbled back but kept his footing. “I’m just asking a few measly questions. If she’d answer them then I would be on my way.” Then held the camera up and zeroed in on the look of rage on Alex’s face. “Oh, that’s going to be a great shot.”

“She doesn’t have to answer anything. She’s not a fucken celebrity!” And he was swiping at the camera, catching the corner and ripping it from the younger man’s fingers. “I should shove this down your fucken throat!”

The pap’s eyes widened and he grabbed back for the camera. “Give me my camera!”

“Make me,” Alex sneered. “You’d fucken deserve it if I smashed this to bits!”

Brielle watched the scene unfold in horror. “Alex!” She gasped out.

But he didn’t seem to hear her. Instead, he lifted the camera as if he were going to hurl it to the ground.

“Alex, don’t! She grabbed for his arm. The last thing they needed was some kind of lawsuit from this punk. “It’s not worth it.”

Alex shifted his eyes toward her. “It would be.”

“No, it wouldn’t.” She shook her head for emphasis. “He’d sue you. Do you really want to give him that option?”

Though anger was just rolling off him, his voice was considerably calm when he spoke to her, “I could really care less at the moment.”

“But I could.” She gave his arm a gentle shake. “Please, just give him back his camera and let’s go home.”

Alex frowned. That was not something he wanted to do at the moment. He’d love nothing more than to make this guy pay for scaring Brielle, taking her picture and being a prick. Glancing toward where the pap was watching the two, he finally let his shoulders slump and shoved the camera at him. “Take your damn camera and get out of my fucken face before I change my mind.”

The young man grabbed the object then took off down the alleyway and was soon out of view.

“Pussy,” Alex muttered as he watched him flee.

Brielle held in a chuckle and took his hand. “Thank you.”

He frowned then withdrew his hand and ran it over his face before sliding it around her waist. “You do realize that I did that for you. If I’d had my way, he’d be eating that damn thing right now.”

“I know.” They started back on the path they were headed. “And I appreciate it. But we’ve really got to work on your swearing. You can’t cuss around the baby.”

“Shit.” He shook his head and gave a low laugh. “Yeah, I guess we really don’t want the kid’s first words to be ‘fuck’.”

“Or anything else like that.”

“People would wonder if we were some kind of heathens.”

“Yeah, it’d just be really bad and I don’t want some old lady swinging her purse at me or calling child services.” She looked to him with hopeful eyes. “So, let’s work on that.”

“The crazy things I do for you.” He met her gaze then paused in their walking and brushed his free hand over her cheek. “I hope you realize you are the first person that I find myself doing things I’d never do for anyone else.”

“I know.” Brielle leaned in and kissed his cheek. “And it makes me love you even more.”

He grinned at that then lightly brushed his lips over hers. “And it damn-err, darn sure shows how much I love you.”

She giggled then took his hand and led him along. “Let’s go home. I think I want to take a nice, hot, relaxing bubble bath then go to bed and sleep till noon tomorrow.”

“Whatever you want, baby.” And they strode hand in hand back to the SUV.

~*~*~*~*~

The following day, Brielle did indeed sleep until noon. Once she finally awoke, she showered and dressed then made her way downstairs to find the house silent. Alex was nowhere in sight and that slightly alarmed her considering he usually left a note. But there was no note, nothing to indicate where he might have gone. Taking an orange from the fridge, she began to peel it and tried not to let her imagination run away with her.

She was halfway through eating the orange slices when he finally entered the house from the garage, a large bouquet of vivid red roses in his hands. He looked slightly surprised at seeing her at the table, but then recovered and set the vase of roses onto the counter and shrugged out of his jacket. “Good afternoon.”

“Hi,” she greeted him, her eyes trained on the flowers.

“How’d you sleep?” He bent and kissed her cheek then hung his jacket on the coat rack in the corner.

“Like a baby.” Tearing her eyes away from the bouquet she watched him. “Who are the roses for?”

Alex watched her with a sheepish expression. “For you. I was hoping you’d still be in bed so I could surprise you upstairs with them.”

Brielle wiped her sticky fingers on a napkin. “Oh? Do you want me to go upstairs and pretend like I’m still sleeping?”

“No,” he laughed low then took up the vase and set it on the table in front of her and the orange slices, “but thank you for trying to appease me. These are for you.”

“Gosh, they’re so beautiful.” She pushed the napkin containing her orange to the side and pulled the vase closer. The flowers were deep and vivid and the red contrast with the green stems made them seem so alluring, like you couldn’t look away. There had to be a dozen or more of them with some baby’s breath mixed in to add some flair. “What’s the occasion?”

Alex gave a grin. “Read the card.”

“Ooh, a card.” She giggled low then located the small white envelope tucked amidst them. Slipping it from the holder, she opened it and pulled out the card. “Brielle,” she began to read aloud, “I told you I would make it official.” She paused and read it over again silently then turned toward him, opening her mouth to question what it meant when she stopped.

Alex was down on one knee at her chair with a small black box in his hand, the lid open to reveal the most amazing and breathtaking diamond ring she had ever seen. A grin tugged at the corner of his lips, but she could see the nervousness in his eyes. “Brielle,” he spoke with a slight tremor to his voice. “I know that we haven’t known each other long, but I know without a doubt there’s no one else I want to be with. You’ve come into my life and filled an empty spot that I never thought I’d fill. I’ve never felt this way before and I want nothing more than to make you my wife and live the rest of my life feeling the way I do right now.” He hesitated then pressed forward, “I know that this is so cliché, but you really do complete me. So,” he wet his lips and raised the ring box toward her, “will you marry me?”

She was speechless. She knew he was going to officially ask her, but this had caught her completely off guard. Here she was sitting at the table in a ratty t-shirt with sticky fingers and juice from the orange dribbling down her chin and he was proposing. What a sight this was. “Alex,” she finally found her voice. “I…wow,” giggles slipped from between her lips as she gaped at the ring cushioned in the box. She’d never seen anything so grand or big or expensive.

Alex wet his bottom lip again then peeked from the ring to her face. “Is that a yes? I know you already told me you would, but what if you’ve changed your mind.”

He sounded so nervous and afraid and it pulled at her heartstrings. “Oh gosh, no, baby, no, I haven’t changed my mind.” Tears filled her eyes and she reached for him. “Yes, I’ll marry you. A thousand times, yes.”

Relief flood through him as Brielle met him on the floor. Pulling her into his arms, he pressed his face into her neck and held her close. It felt so right; the moment, the proposal, Brielle being the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, the little baby being formed in her belly that would join them in a few more months. He’d waited his entire life for a moment like this and a woman like her. God was finally being gracious to him.

“Gosh,” Brielle spoke as she pulled back and wiped at her cheeks, “this was the last thing I was expecting today.”

He smirked at that and brushed some tears from under her eyes. “I’m glad I could surprise you. And I hope you like this.” And then he was lifting the ring box again, the light catching on the stone and making it sparkle.

“I’ve…I’ve never…wow,” she laughed and wiped at her cheeks again, “I’ve never had…is that…it’s so big!”

He chuckled and gently extracted it from the velvet cushion. “It’s 2.5 carats with nearly another carat worth of diamonds set in the band.”

“It’s so beautiful,” she breathed out in amazement as he took her left hand and gently slipped it onto her ring finger and over the knuckle so it settled in place.

“Perfect fit.” He smiled broadly then kissed her knuckles before releasing her hand.

She was surprised it didn’t feel any heavier than it did. “Is this thing going to strain my finger?”

Alex laughed. “Let’s hope not. May take some getting used to though.”

Brielle giggled then studied the radiant cut, solitaire diamond set in platinum with tiny little diamonds embedded around the entire band. She didn’t even want to think about how much it cost or getting it dirty or scratched or, God forbid, losing it down the drain. Though the size of the thing, it didn’t look like it would even fit in the drain.

She giggled again then brought her eyes to Alex’s and kissed his lips. “Thank you. It’s beautiful, you’re beautiful and I love you so much.”

He caught her face in his hands and kissed her slowly and tenderly, letting his emotions spill into it so she would be aware of what he was feeling. He felt her sigh and melt into him and her arms wound their way around his body, her own emotions falling right into his soul and filling his body with warmth and love and contentment.

“You’re amazing,” Brielle breathed out softly once they pulled apart, their mouths just inches away from each others.

He couldn’t stop the grin that covered his face. “I’m so in love with you. I think I have been since the first night we met. And you have no idea how thankful I am that we found each other again.”

She couldn’t stop smiling either. “I have a pretty good idea considering I feel the same way.”

“Mm, good.” Then he kissed her again and again, over and over until they were both breathless and holding each other tight, their hearts beating wildly against their chests. And in that moment, Alex knew he was right where he needed to be and Brielle was right where she belonged…forever.

Chapter Thirty-Six by summer
Author's Notes:

Have been having computer issues, but hopefully everything's fixed now. And an update as well for you to enjoy. Thanks so much and as always, I love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy :)

Brielle stared in shock at the computer screen. She was seated in Alex’s office and had just signed into the online banking at one of the banks her grandfather’s lawyer had set up an account at on her behalf. The account summary and ending balance was an astonishing amount and that was only one of the accounts. There was no way she’d be able to handle this herself so she had hired her grandfather’s accountant on as her own and so far he had been a Godsend. The blonde had no idea how to even begin spending that kind of money. Of course, she wanted to save a lot of it for the baby and one of the accounts had been set up for just that and now that she was getting married, she wanted to help pay for the wedding, whenever that would be. And then there was Alex, and everything he had done for her, so she would definitely have to pay him back. And she had been thinking about donating a large sum to the homeless shelters in New York City. And she definitely wanted to get Lily and Jordan an amazing wedding gift. But the rest…well it was just going to have to sit there and collect interest for awhile.

“What’s going on in here?”

Alex’s voice drifted into her head and she looked over to find him entering the room. “I was just looking at one of my new bank accounts.”

He lifted his brows at that. “Ooh, nice, huh?” Then moved around the desk to peer at the screen with her. “You’ve got enough there to live comfortably for a long while.”

“I know right.” She sighed and sank back into the chair, rubbing her forehead. “It makes my head hurt.”

“Aww,” he kissed the top of her head then stood up straight. “Are you hungry? I thought maybe we could go out somewhere for lunch.”

Brielle began closing out of her account. “That sounds really good, actually. I was just sitting here thinking that I’d love a big cheeseburger and a pickle.” The ring on her finger caught her eye and she had to hold in a giggle. She still couldn’t believe she was engaged and to someone as wonderful as Alex. One day they would be married and have the rest of their lives to spend together; that was a feeling unlike any other she’d ever had before and it warmed her from the inside out.

“Then let’s get out of here.” Alex leaned and swiped a cap from the corner of his desk when the phone in his back pocket gave its shrill ring. Making a sound in his throat, he pulled it out and checked the ID. “It’s Whitley.”

“Wonder what sh-ooh no!” Her eyes widened as the events from two nights ago flashed through her mind; Alex’s altercation with the photographer that had been hiding out in the alley after Nick’s birthday party.

His dark eyes met hers and she knew he was thinking the same thing. Wetting his bottom lip, he pushed to accept the call then held it to his ear. “Whitley, hey.”

“Alex, what are we going to do with you? Seriously, honey. If it’s not one thing it’s another. The press are having a field day with you,” her normally cheery voice held a note of annoyance and it made him inwardly wince.

“What’s going on now, Whit?”

“You and your temper is what. There’s footage of you just about taking out one of the paps. He looks like he’s just a kid, Alex.”

He rolled his eyes. “He was in Brielle’s face and asking things about Renee and the whole pregnancy deal. She was freaked out and I couldn’t let him harass her like that.”

“You nearly got yourself a lawsuit.”

“Who gives a fuck?” He could feel himself bristling and clenched his free hand into a fist.

“Well, regardless of if he deserved it or not, someone caught the whole ordeal on video and it’s circulating the web and television. And of course the rumors and stories the video is spinning are nothing like what actually happened, but who is going to believe that when they want to think you were drunk and high and tried to kill the poor kid.”

He paused. “They think I was drunk?”

“Oh yeah,” he could almost see her nodding her head hastily, “you’re a raging alcoholic who can’t control your temper and you might want to see about taking anger management issues along with going back to rehab and/or AA.”

Alex gave a snort. “They can all go to hell for all I care.”

“Is that the official statement?”

He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Alex didn’t know what it was, but when it came to Brielle and her safety or her reputation, or anything dealing with her he felt like a mama bear whose cub is in danger; angry and ready to kill to keep them safe. Maybe he did need some kind of help to control his emotions.

“Can we just ignore this? You know it’ll go away once some other celebrity does something stupid, which is quite often.”

Whitley was quiet a moment before speaking, “Alright, if that’s what you want. Just remember that until all of this does eventually go away, you’re going to have to be careful about where you go. With Renee’s news and now this debacle, they’re gonna be gunning for you.”

Alex gave a sound in his throat. She was more than right and now with the engagement, it would be spotted and spread before he could even blink. If only he could take Brielle and go somewhere far away for awhile, but she had work and he had to be in the studio bright and early tomorrow morning.

“We’ll try to be careful, thanks, Whitley.”

“Anytime and I’ll keep in touch.” And with that she was gone.

Alex sighed and lowered the phone, ending the call before tucking it back into his pocket. “Alright, new plan; what if we stayed in and ordered take out?”

Brielle was watching him with a concerned expression. “Everything okay?”

“Not really.” He sank onto the edge of the desk. “Someone caught the altercation with the paparazzi on Friday night and it’s circulating around.”

“Ouch,” she made a face then reached for his hand, “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, so Whitley has advised that we lay low until it blows over. Especially if we don’t want news of the engagement spreading like wildfire,” he added as an afterthought.

“So you want take out?” She pulled his hand over and kissed his knuckles then rose from the seat. “I can go for some tacos with lots and lots of sour cream.”

He couldn’t stop the tiny grin that tugged at his lips. The way she always seemed to understand and accept the craziness that was his life made him feel like everything was right in his life even when it so obviously wasn’t. “You’re okay with that? No big, juicy cheeseburger?”

“No, we can do take out. Ooh, how ‘bout some nachos, too?” And then she was heading for the door to scour the kitchen for the take out menus and figure which place she wanted to order from.

With a silly grin on his face, he followed behind and soon they were seated at the dining room table with their tacos and nachos and enchiladas before them.

“So, are you gonna come visit me at the studio while we’re recording?” Alex questioned as he unwrapped his enchilada and looked it over, feeling his stomach growl in response to the delicious smells.

Brielle glanced over from where she was dunking a tortilla chip into the steaming nacho cheese. “I can do that?”

“Of course, in fact, I want you to. Come see me work and hang out for a bit. Especially since I’ll be practically living there and you’ll be here alone and bored.”

That brought a frown to her face and her forehead creased. “I don’t want to be here alone. How long are you going to be at the studio?”

He shrugged then took up his enchilada and took a big bite. “It depends on how much we have to do each day,” he spoke after eating the bite and wiping his mouth. “Sometimes it’s a few hours and other times it’s all day.”

“How am I gonna get to work and back each day?”

Alex paused. “Well, you can take the SUV and I’ll drive my car.”

She seemed satisfied with that response then she sat up straight, her eyes wide. “What about the doctor appointment on Friday? You can’t miss that!”

“Oh, baby,” he chuckled low, “I’m not going to miss it. The guys know it’s coming up and I’ll be there for that then head on to the studio afterward.”

“Oh, good.” She nodded and relaxed back into the seat and the two ate in comfortable silence for a bit. Finally, she licked some sour cream from her finger and brought her baby blues back to his face. “Have you thought about if you want to find out what sex the baby is?”

Alex turned from his lunch to his fiancée. “I kinda think I want to know. I’ve never been good with waiting and that way we can decorate and prepare without having to guess or buy things that are unisex.”

She mulled that over. “That’s very true. And we can start figuring out names and when we have the baby shower people will know what to buy.” A giggle slipped from between her lips. “Oh gosh, it’s getting exciting.”

He grinned and leaned over to kiss her cheek. “It really is.”

“Okay, we’ll find out.”

Alex sat back up. “And if it’s a boy, we’ll name him AJ Jr.”

Her brows rose and she stared at him.

He laughed. “I kid, I kid. Alex Jr. is more like it.”

“You’re still kidding, right?”

He couldn’t hide his grin and laughed lowly. “Yes, I’m kidding. As much as I like my name, I don’t think I want any juniors.”

“Good, cause no offense, I don’t either.” Then she tilted her head. “Though I do think Alexander might make a nice middle name.”

“Ooh,” he tilted his own head and thought that one over, “that’s very doable. But I do have to say, I’m pretty sure we’re gonna have a girl.”

Brielle watched him as she unwrapped her second taco. “What makes you say that?”

He shrugged. “Just this feeling. I’ve always thought I’d have the first girl out of all us guys in the group. Kev, Howie and Brian all had boys so I’ve thought I’d have the first girl.” He chuckled low. “It’d be my luck that I’d have the girl.”

“You don’t want a girl?”

“No,” he shook his head and wiped his own mouth before setting the napkin back in his lap, “that’s not it at all. I do want a girl, but it also scares the shit out of me because I know what boys are like and the thought of my baby girl dealing with guys who were like me,” he chuckled low, “makes me want to lock her up in the house until she’s 45.”

Brielle laughed at that. “Aww, honey, I’m sure everything is going to be okay. We won’t have to do that.”

Alex chuckled and gave a small shrug. “I can’t help it, I don’t want her being defiled or taken advantage of. Maybe we’ll just get her a chastity belt.”

She tried not to laugh, but he was being way too precious and sweet and like a very protective father. “Aww, well if it makes you feel better to think that then we can think that.”

“Thank you.” He leaned and kissed her lips softly then sat right in his chair. “But I’m gonna make sure I’m the best damn father there is.”

She giggled low then cleared her throat, taking a chip and dragging it through the cheese in the small container. “Then you can start with not cursing anymore. The baby can hear you, you know.” She touched her stomach as if shielding her child from the harsh words.

“You’re right, you’re right, I’m sorry,” he made a face as he apologized. “I’m trying, but it’s hard to stop cold turkey. But I’ll get there.”

Brielle wiped her fingers on her napkin and reached for his hand. “I know you will and I have faith in you. You can do anything you set your mind to.”

“Damn-er, I mean darn straight,” he corrected himself. “And one day I’m gonna stop smoking, too.”

She laughed and kissed his cheek. “And I’ll be there every step of the way.”

“Good, now eat, woman.” He motioned toward her tacos. “You’re eating for two now, don’t forget.”

“Right, I’m on it.” Then she turned back to her lunch and the two fell back into the comfortable silence were no words were needed and being together was enough.

~*~*~*~*~

It was a warm Wednesday evening when Brielle headed for the front doors of the recording studio she worked at. She was running a bit behind schedule due to the meeting her boss had been in that’d run over by 45 minutes. Which shifted his whole itinerary 45 minutes back and put her 45 minutes to an hour behind as well. Normally, she didn’t mind it, but she was supposed to be meeting Alex at the studio he and his group were at and she hated being late, especially when he was expecting her. She had managed to call and let him know this, but she still hated it all the same.

“Finally heading out, huh, Brielle?”

The blonde turned to find one of her new friends, and a fellow receptionist, Ashley Underhill a few steps behind. She slowed to allow the ebony haired beauty with almond shaped dark eyes and skin that was completely flawless to catch up. “I’m running slightly behind.” She’d always wondered what Ashley’s nighttime routine was to be able to achieve skin that perfect, but had never asked.

Ashley chuckled and shifted the brown leather attaché case on her shoulder. “That’s just more overtime pay for you. And who doesn’t love time and a half?”

“I know right,” she agreed as they fell in step together toward the exit doors. Not that she needed the extra money, but she hadn’t breathed a word of her windfall to anyone other than Alex and Lily and was hoping it’d stay that way.

“So, what are your plans for tonight? A couple of us girls are meeting up at Chili’s for drinks and we thought you might could join us.” Her dark eyes swept to Brielle’s midsection then returned to her face. “I mean, we know you can’t drink with us, but the company will be good and between the two of us, when Josie’s had a few drinks in her let me tell you, it will be a night you’ll never forget.”

The blonde laughed low at that. “Aw, thank you so much for inviting me, but I have to meet up with my,” she trailed off wondering if she should call him her fiancé or just stick with boyfriend. Though the large rock in her finger was very hard to miss. “Um, I have to meet up with Alex,” she decided to go with just to be safe.

“Oh,” Ashley pressed her lips together then gave an understanding nod, “okay, well maybe next time, huh?” The two reached the doors and Ashley pushed it open for her, allowing Brielle to exit first.

“Oh definitely. I’d love to go out with you ladies sometime.” She stepped out into the dusk and what little sunlight was left as the sun began to slowly set for the evening.

Ashley slipped out behind her and gave a response, but it was quickly drowned out by the shouts and sounds as a crowd began to descend on the duo

“What the…” Brielle watched with wide eyes at the cameras and video cameras and paparazzi that began to swarm her, shouting question after question about who she was and about Alex and his sobriety and if she was indeed having his child and what she thought about Renee’s interview.

Next to her, Ashley stared in shock. “What is going on?”

Brielle moved back some as the cameramen pressed in on them, continuing to hamper her with question after question. They were shouting and yelling at her so fast she could hardly comprehend it all. “Wha…no… go away,” she managed out in a strangled voice. A panic was starting to seep into her chest and she gripped her handbag tightly, debating quickly if it would be a good enough weapon if she swung it at them.

Then, as if they suddenly noticed the brunette standing next to Brielle, they began shouting a barrage of questions her way; what was her connection with the blonde, could she give them any information about who the blonde was, how well she knew the blonde and her boyfriend Alex.

Ashley frowned and before Brielle knew what was going on, she had pulled the two of them safely back inside. “What the hell is all that?” She turned to the blonde with wide eyes.

Brielle could only shake her head, her voice caught in her throat.

Outside, the constant clicking of the cameras sounded and Ashley drew them further away from the doors and out of the paparazzi’s line of sight. “Are you okay?”

“Um…ye…yeah.” She forced herself to speak then sank down into the nearest chair. “How…how did they find me?” Her head was still whirling and it made her feel slightly lightheaded.

“Why are they after you?”

She rubbed her forehead and met her new friend’s gaze. Ashley had never met Alex nor did she know that Brielle was dating a celebrity. “Um, my…my boyfriend’s kind of famous and lately there’s been a bunch of attention on him due to various reasons.”

“Seriously?” She glanced toward the front doors then back to Brielle with a look that said she really did not have any words at the moment.

Brielle sighed and took a second to gather her composure. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know they were out there or I wouldn’t have walked out with you and gotten you dragged into this. And now, there’s no way out of here.”

Ashley pressed her lips together and Brielle could read it in her eyes how badly she wanted to know who her boyfriend was and what the paparazzi wanted with Brielle, but she didn’t voice it. “I don’t know how to get you out of here; obviously we can’t go out the front door. There’s a back entrance, but we’d still have to double back to the front to our vehicles and they’ll see us. And I’m not letting you go alone, not being pregnant and all. Those people are like snakes and your safety is the last thing they’re concerned about.”

She slumped into the chair, knowing how right the brunette was. “So, what do we do?”

“You could call your boyfriend. Or should I say your fiancé; look at the size of the rock on your hand.” And she took hold of Brielle’s hand to study the ring. “That is gorgeous.”

Brielle slowly extracted her hand, blushing some at her friend’s reaction. “Um, thank you, but that’s a good idea.” She sat up and dug her phone from her handbag, pushing the memory for Alex’s cell before holding it to her ear. It rang once then went to voicemail and she lowered it to her lap with a frown. “He shut it off.” Obviously he wouldn’t have it on if he were in the studio recording. Damn him.

Ashley frowned. “Well that’s not good.”

“No,” she drew her bottom lip between her teeth and racked her brain for a possible idea. There wasn’t anyone else she could call; the only other person she might be comfortable with would be Nick and he’d be busy recording too. Then an idea hit her. “Oh, I know!” Quickly, she scrolled through her phone and selected a name then pushed to call. Holding the phone to her ear again, she listened to the rings; one, two, three.

“Hey, girl,” Laurel’s friendly voice greeted her after the third ring.

Brielle breathed a sigh of relief. “Laurel,” she cast her eyes toward Ashley, “it’s Brielle.”

“I know,” Laurel chuckled, “your name came over on the ID. What’s going on? Are you okay?”

“Um, not really.”

“Oh my God, is it the baby? Where are you?”

Brielle blinked and shook her head. “No, no, everything’s fine with the baby; sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you like that. But um…” then quickly she filled her friend in on just what was going on.

It didn’t take Laurel long at all to conceive a plan and soon she was on her way to the studio to meet Ashley and Brielle outside the back door. Where she would then take Brielle to the studio Alex was at and return Ashley back to their own studio so she could collect her car. Hopefully by then, the paparazzi would have wandered off or been too absorbed in waiting for them to exit the building to notice Ashley slipping by.

It sounded like the perfect plan and it worked out perfectly when Laurel arrived and the two girls slipped out the back entrance unnoticed. Brielle held her breath though until they were out of the parking lot and onto the main road then she watched behind them until she was sure they weren’t being followed.

Once in the car, she gave Ashley a brief rundown with enough information to satisfy her, but without giving her all the sordid details. Ashley promised that she wouldn’t breathe a word to the paparazzi, or anyone else at the office and as much as Brielle wanted to believe her, she knew she’d be holding her breath to see if that was the truth.

When they finally arrived at the studio the group was at, Laurel helped Brielle past the security then wished her luck and was off to deliver Ashley back to her vehicle. It didn’t take long for Brielle to find her way down to the recording room and she slipped inside to find Alex bent over the soundboard with one of the producers and Nick and Brian in the booth, laying down a track.

Nick caught sight of her first and a crooked grin crossed over his lips. Suddenly, the lyrics he had been singing changed and he belted out Brielle’s entrance which caused the blond to blush and shrink back more against the wall.

Alex’s brows lifted at his bandmates lyrics and he turned in the chair to see his beautiful fiancée. With a grin of his own, he rose to his feet and sauntered over to her. “Hey, you made it.”

“Hi.” She smiled as he kissed her cheek then took his hand with both hers. “Can we talk somewhere?”

Alex frowned slightly. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I just… I need to talk to you.”

He studied her a moment then gave a nod. “Okay, we can go across the hall.” Then excusing himself they slipped from the room and into an empty room across the way.

Once inside, Brielle turned to face him and the story spilled from her lips, starting with her boss’ meeting running over and ending with Laurel helping her make her escape.

Alex watched with a calm expression until he heard about the paparazzi then he frowned and tugged at the hat that was on his head. “How the fuck-er, how the hell-how…how did they find you?” He finally blurted out.

“I don’t know! They just did! They were there outside and it freaked me out and thank God Ashley was there to help me get back inside.” She felt like she was blabbering and had to force herself to stop.

“Okay, okay,” he pulled her into his arms and held her close. “You’re okay and you got away unnoticed, that’s the most important thing. You weren’t hurt.”

“Right,” she mumbled into his chest. “But now they know where I work and they’re going to be there every day until I talk to them or God forbid, someone from the office does.”

That made him frown and his grip around her tightened. “I’m so sorry, baby.” He tilted his head to peer to her face. “I’d say you could quit, but I know you really like the job.”

“I really do.” She pulled herself from his arms and wiped at her teary eyes. “And now Ashley is going to have them harassing her since they saw us together.”

“Alright,” Alex rubbed the back of his neck and tried to think up some kind of plan, “what if you just took the rest of the week off? Maybe if they don’t see you a few days they’ll give up or think you quit. You think your boss will give you a few days off?”

She pushed her hair from her face. “He probably would, but I just feel so bad taking time off on him. He needs me to keep him organized,” she gave a short laugh, “he’s so terribly unorganized it’s not even funny.”

Alex chuckled and smoothed a hand to her cheek. “I’m sure he can manage for a few days.” Then he drew her close and kissed her lips lightly. “Hopefully by Monday they’ll have found someone else to chase and harass.”

“I hope so.” She allowed herself to melt into his embrace. “Eventually they’re going to figure out who I am.”

“Then let ‘em. I say we don’t worry about them anymore and just focus on us.”

She smiled at that thought. “That sounds like a good idea to me.”

He kissed the top of her head before peering into her face. “I think I can slip out of here a little early, what do you say we go home, have some dinner and just relax the rest of the night?”

“I’d say that sounds wonderful.”

“Okay, let’s go.” Then took hold of her hand and led her from the room. A nice relaxing night with his fiancée and none of the outside world sounded like a wonderful idea to him as well. Too bad it couldn’t stay that way forever.

Chapter Thirty-Seven by summer
Author's Notes:

I am back! Got a brand new update for you. Hope you're still keeping tabs on this one and that you enjoy. :)

Mr. Lockwood did indeed allow Brielle to take the rest of the week off. When she’d called to speak to him, she wasn’t intending on telling him the complete truth, but it just sort of spilled out. He sympathized and agreed with her that that kind of stress wouldn’t be good for her or the baby. So he suggested she take the rest of the week off before she could even ask; he’d have no problem with hiring a temp for a few days until she was back in the office.

So the following day, Brielle lounged around the house feeling lazy and a little more than bored. Alex was off to the studio all day so to keep herself busy she tried her hand at a few recipes’. Dinner that night was actually edible; much more so than the birthday cake had been last month. The dessert…not so much. So they scraped it off into the trash and Alex ran out to get them some ice cream and the makings for sundaes.

On Friday, Brielle was glad to get out of the house as they traveled to their doctor appointment. The fresh air would do her good and she was excited to find out if her little one was a boy or girl. Honestly, she didn’t have a preference; she just wanted a healthy baby. As cliché as that was, it was nothing more than 100% true. Once they’d arrived at the medical building and made it safely inside with no signs of the paparazzi anywhere, Brielle was escorted to the back where she had blood work and a urine sample taken. Then Alex joined her in the exam room as they set up for the ultrasound.

Soon Dr. Morresau was gently guiding the wand over Brielle’s rounded tummy and both Brielle and Alex watched at the screen with wide, hopeful eyes, their hands locked together tight and hearts pumping in anticipation.

“Everything looks really, really good, Brielle,” Dr. Morresau spoke, keeping her eyes on the monitor as she examined the image. “I don’t see anything that might alert me or give me concern.”

“Thank God,” the blonde breathed out, the doctor’s words relaxing her somewhat. She peeked her eyes toward Alex then back to the screen. “I can’t believe that’s my baby right there.”

Alex chuckled and kissed her knuckles. “Pretty amazing, huh?”

“Very,” was all she could voice as tears filled her eyes.

The doctor smiled at the two. “Well, from what I can see, you two are going to have a very healthy baby. The measurements are right on for your due date and from what you told me about feeling the baby move, it seems your little one is as happy and content and healthy as can be.” Her eyes leveled with Brielle’s. “You’re doing a good job, Mom.”

The blonde laughed at that and wiped at her eyes. “Mom; I’m going to be a mom. That just sounds so weird.”

Alex kissed her hand again then turned to the doctor. “When will I begin to feel the movements?”

“Probably not for another three to six weeks yet. The more they grow, the less space there is and so the kicks and twists are a lot more prominent.”

He grinned. “I can’t wait.”

Dr. Morresau smiled and turned back to the video, gliding the wand a little lower on Brielle’s stomach. “You’re got quite the gymnast in there,” she proclaimed as they watched the baby twist and move around. “Very active; which is always a wonderful thing.”

“Can um…” Brielle wet her bottom lip and studied the monitor, “can you tell the sex?”

“You want to know?” She cast her dark eyes their way then back to the machine when they both nodded. “Alright, let’s see if we can’t figure it out.”

The next few minutes, Brielle watched with awe and wonder as the doctor studied the screen, moving the wand this way and that, trying to get a good enough angle of the baby to determine rather they were having a son or a daughter. Finally, she froze the image on the screen then split the screen into two so the image was on the left and the real time image of the baby was on the right.

“Can you tell the sex?” She motioned toward the frozen image and looked over to the couple.

Alex leaned forward some, squinting and trying to decipher exactly what he was seeing. It was a little hard to tell and all he could definitely make out was the baby’s back down to the bottom. “No, I can’t.” He chuckled low, feeling foolish for not knowing the answer.

The doctor’s eyes landed on Brielle and she just shook her head.

Dr. Morresau sent them both an understanding smile. “That’s quite alright, unless you’re trained to read these kind of things, it can be difficult.” Then she took a marker like object and began drawing on the screen. “You’re little one doesn’t seem to want to hold still enough to really get a good shot, so this is the closest I could get.”

Brielle watched as she circled something near the bottom of the baby then wrote on the top left corner of the screen; It’s A Boy. Brielle gripped Alex’s hand tighter. “A boy? We’re having a boy?”

Dr. Morresau smiled broadly at the couple. “You sure are; congratulations to the both of you.”

Alex felt his eyes widen. “A boy? Are you sure?” And he leaned forward again to study the picture.

The doctor chuckled good naturedly. “Well, these things are never 100% correct and until you have that baby in your arms and can see for yourself, there’s always a margin for error, but this right here,” and she pointed toward what she had circled, “appears to be the penis.”

Brielle stared at the screen then slowly brought her eyes to her fiancé’s. “A boy.”

He met her gaze, matching the same wide eyed expression she had. “A boy,” he echoed.

She nodded, feeling her eyes growing wet with tears. “We’re having a boy.”

“A son.” Alex blinked at the sound of that. “I have a son.” Then he laughed and kissed Brielle on the mouth. “We have a son.”

“Yes,” she laughed and tears slipped down her cheeks, “we have a son.”

Alex couldn’t stop the grin that was on his face. “Wow, I can’t believe it!”

Dr. Morresau chuckled low then handed Brielle some paper towels to clean the ultrasound gel from her stomach. “Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” Brielle wiped at her eyes then quickly wiped her stomach off. “It’s so crazy. I can’t believe we’re having a boy.”

Alex couldn’t believe it either. And though he’d been sure he’d have a girl first, all that was forgotten the minute he’d seen those words on the screen. A son, a little mini-me, someone to carry on his name; it was wonderful and he couldn’t wait till he had him in his arms.

The rest of the appointment went well and before they left, the doctor handed them a few brochures about different childbirth classes they might be interested in. Brielle was halfway through her pregnancy and if they were going to do any of the classes, now would be the time to start. The next appointment was made for March 4th, exactly one month later, and then the two finally took their leave and made it safely into the SUV.

As Alex maneuvered out of the parking lot, Brielle studied the sonogram picture the doctor had printed for them before they’d left. “It’s so surreal.”

Her fiancé glanced her way. “You think so? I think it finally is starting to feel real now that we know the sex of the baby.”

“Are you disappointed you’re not having a girl?”

“No,” was his immediate response, and a truthful one at that. “The instant we found out he’s a he, all I could think about was how I’d have a son to carry on the name and how I’d get to teach him things dad’s teach their sons.”

A smile tugged at her lips. “Like fishing and throwing a ball.”

“I’m not much of a fisher, but I’ll definitely teach him how to play catch.” He paused a moment. “Besides, maybe further on down the road we’ll have a little girl.”

The thought of having more children with him warmed her heart. “What if they’re all boys?”

“Then we’ll start our own basketball team; The McLean Clan.”

Brielle giggled. “How cute of a mental is that? You with like four sons that look like smaller versions of you.”

Alex chuckled lowly. “Honestly, I hope they look a lot like you too; I was a gangly and odd looking child.”

“Oh yeah right.”

He lifted his brows and looked her way. “My mom has the pictures. Once I got about 17 I finally stopped looking so weird, though I still feel awkward even at this age.”

“I find that really hard to believe.”

“Tell my mom that and she’ll waste no time in digging out the old pictures. You’ll see.”

“I just may have to do that, because now I’m interested in seeing these pictures. I bet you were the cutest little baby.” She giggled low at that thought.

“Baby, yes. Child through adolescent through now…not so much.”

“Well,” Brielle smoothed both hands over her small bump, “regardless, our baby is going to be cute and precious and beautiful at every age.”

Alex smiled and reached over to place his free hand on her tummy. “That’s right; and now that we know he’s a he … we can really start preparing.”

“Right,” she agreed, watching our hands splayed on her stomach. “Our little acrobat.”

That made him smile even more and he looked toward her stomach then back to the road. “So…you’re still pretty sure on no AJ Jr.?”

Brielle laughed. “Stop it; you don’t want an AJ Jr. either.”

“I don’t know,” he teased. “Now that I know he’s a boy … it’s kinda starting to sound appealing.”

“Oh, whatever,” she swatted lightly at his arm, “but when we get home, we can pull out the name book. We only have 20 more weeks, give or take, to figure out the perfect name.”

He grinned and caught her hand in his, pulling it over and kissing the back of it. “You got yourself a deal.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

The rest of the weekend went smoothly for both Alex and Brielle; mainly due to the fact that they played hermits and didn’t emerge from the house. They ordered Chinese take out one night and Italian another and then Sunday Alex made a delicious dinner of roast beef and carrots and potatoes for Brielle.

They scoured the baby name books and started a list of different boy names that they liked. They watched movies in the home theater and played Wii sports with Brielle kicking Alex’s behind in bowling and golf. And Brielle was already making up an online wish list of baby items they would need for when their son arrived. And once the whole media fiasco settled down she wanted to hit the stores and do some serious shopping. Now that she had her own money she didn’t feel guilty about spending it.

And then Monday rolled around again and Brielle felt sick at the thought of having to go back to work. What if they were lying in wait just biding their time until she appeared then surrounded her and swallowed her whole? The thought frightened her and she found herself dragging as she got ready that morning.

Alex, who was seated at the counter drinking a cup of coffee, watched her with a knowing expression. “You could quit your job, you know.”

“I like my job.” She buttered a piece of toast then reached for the jelly. “I like the work and the people I work with. I just don’t like the photographers up in my face and lying in wait like a snake waiting for its prey. That’s what they are, you know.” She aimed the knife at him and waved it around some as she spoke, “They’re snakes; slimy, sleazy, disgusting.”

He held in the chuckle and nodded his head solemnly. “I agree one hundred percent.”

“Ugh,” Brielle shuddered then continued to spread the jam over her toast, “maybe I’ll use the back door.”

“Ooh, there’s an idea.”

“They don’t usually like us to use the back door, but I think this is a situation that warrants it.”

“Maybe you call ahead and give them a warning so they know what’s going on.”

She smiled at him. “I think I will.” Then slipping her toast onto a plate, she moved around the counter and kissed his cheek. “The idea is already making me feel better.”

He returned the grin and gave her butt a pat. “And hey, maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll be off chasing and hounding someone else.”

“One can only hope.” Then she slipped up on the stool next to his.

Alex arched a brow and watched as she reached for the toast. “Is that all you’re going to have for breakfast?”

The blonde paused and shifted her eyes toward the toast. “Uh…yeah.”

“Brie, you know you need to eat more than one piece of toast.” And he was off the stool and moving into the kitchen. “I can make you up some waffles or pancakes.”

“I’m not really hungry. I’m too nervous to eat.”

“Then take them with you to the studio, because you need to eat.” He sent her a serious look that matched the tone of his voice. “Waffles or pancakes?”

“Do we have time?”

His eyes darted to the clock there on the kitchen wall. “Yes. Now, waffles or pancakes?”

“Fine,” she sighed out and dropped the toast back onto the plate. “Waffles, but can you maybe mix in some blueberries with the batter?”

“Whatever gets you to eat, baby.” And then he was digging through the cabinets in search of the ingredients.

~*~*~*~*~

Nearly an hour later, and after a nice filling breakfast of waffles, toast and orange juice, Brielle was pulling into the parking lot of the studio she worked at. She’d been keeping her eyes peeled since the exit off the freeway and so far the coast seemed clear. There didn’t appear to be anyone lurking around the grounds with cameras so maybe they had lost interest and had moved on to an actual celebrity.

And it indeed seemed that way, because Brielle made it into the studio with no one jumping out and surprising her or trying to get her picture or comment.

Once inside, she stowed her things away then took a few moments to catch up on what had happened while she was gone. It didn’t take very long to get caught up then she ran through Mr. Lockwood’s itinerary and began to prep what he would need for his day.

Mr. Lockwood arrived about half an hour after Brielle did. He greeted her and asked how the rest of her week and weekend had gone and how she and the baby were doing then he disappeared into his office with the memos she’d prepared for him.

The morning seemed to start off smoothly and no one that stopped by to speak with her mentioned anything about any paparazzi lingering around. Lunch break came and she joined Ashley Underhill and Josie Beck at the Chili’s across the street. Again, there were no surprise attacks or people following her. Once she had returned to her desk and was filing away some folders her boss had set there while she’d been away, Brielle was certain that things had died down and she was safe and obscure to the public eye once again. Right where she wanted to be.

The phone rang at ten after three and Brielle picked it up, giving the usual greeting and letting the caller know whose office they had reached. When Alex’s voice reached her ear and bid her a good afternoon, she smiled and sank back into the seat.

“What’s my favorite girl up to?” He questioned in his rich, soulful voice.

Brielle giggled softly and twirled the phone cord with her fingers. “Just working; like I usually am at three o’clock on a weekday. What are you doing?”

“I’m on a smoke break and thought I’d call and check in on you.”

The blonde shifted her eyes to the phone. “I’m glad you did, though everything seems to be calm and I haven’t seen a single paparazzo all day.”

“That’s great, baby.”

She could hear the smile in his voice and felt one creeping across her face as well. “Yeah, I’m so relieved.”

“I bet you are. I’m pretty relieved too.”

“Mhm,” she swiveled her chair some and peeked toward the phone, “so, how’s your day going?”

“Pretty well, actually. We’re getting a lot done and I think we’re just a tad bit ahead of schedule. So that’s always a plus.”

“That’s great. What time do you think you’ll be outta there?”

“Hopefully by seven. I don’t really see any reason they’d need to keep us later,” came his reply.

“I could stop at that sandwich place you love on the way home and pick up some dinner.”

“Mm, you could, or I could take you out.”

Brielle lifted a brow. “Do you think we should? I thought you wanted to lie low for a bit and let all the media about us die down.”

Alex sighed and she could almost hear the gears turning in his head as he thought it over. Finally he responded, “We can’t let them dictate our lives.”

“So you wanna go out and not worry about what they say or what gets printed?”

“I never have before, why should I start now?”

She shrugged some. “I dunno, maybe because now there’s a baby involved and that kind of changes things.”

“I know it does.” He fell silent for a moment then spoke again, “But they’re going to find out sooner or later and I’m sure most of them already suspect or know. We can’t stay cooped up in the house after he arrives so they never get a picture of him.”

The blonde bit her bottom lip. “I guess I’m just worried. I don’t like them all up in my face or wanting answers from me. I’m not the celebrity here and I don’t want to be followed or for them to barrage me again.”

“I’m sorry it’s difficult for you.”

“It’s not your fault.” And then she felt bad for complaining. Rubbing her forehead, she sat up in the chair. “I’m sorry, I think I’m still trying to adjust to all this. We can go out to dinner tonight if that’s what you’d like to do.”

She could tell he was smiling. “I would like to. I want to take you out, take you on a date. We haven’t gotten to do that much.”

“Okay, you can take me out tonight.”

“Great!” His grin grew over the line. “Go home and get ready, wear something sexy and nice and be prepared to have your socks knocked off.”

“Ooh, I will.” She giggled softly. “Though I probably won’t be wearing any socks, so you’ll have to knock something else off instead.”

That made him laugh then his voice dropped an octave. “Oh, baby, I plan on knocking a lot off later. Much later.”

Brielle blushed then cleared her throat as Mr. Lockwood appeared in the doorway. “Okay, I have to go….I’ll see you tonight.”

“You sure will. I love you.”

She smiled and felt her heart flutter. “I love you too.” She waited half a second for him to hang up then reached and set the receiver back in the cradle.

A date tonight with her amazing fiancé. Sure, life had its ups and downs and sometimes maybe seemed more down than up, but at this moment Brielle felt like things simply couldn’t get any better.

End Notes:

Annnd.... it's a boy!!

Thank you to all my faithful readers and reviewers! Really love and appreciate you guys. :)

Chapter Thirty-Eight by summer
Author's Notes:

Had some inspiration. Enjoy :)

“You look stunning,” Alex breathed out slowly as he watched Brielle descend the stairs. Stunning didn’t seem to be a strong enough word, but it was all he had at the moment. She was blowing him away with the beauty that just seemed to radiate from her and the red dress she wore fit her like a glove. The hem cut to mid thigh with a sexy little slit on one side and a draped neckline so if she moved a certain way he’d get teasing glimpses of her cleavage. Her eyes were so bright and seemed to cut right through him and make his heart pound a bit harder. It was so hard to believe that someone this beautiful and this wonderful and this good of a person was in love with someone like himself. But tonight wasn’t a night he was going to tear himself down. He was going to take out the most beautiful woman on a date she would never forget.

“Thank you,” the blonde beauty responded with once she joined him in the foyer. Reaching a hand up, she adjusted the updo she’d twisted her hair in then looked down and examined herself. “I don’t look fat, do I?”

Alex chuckled so softly it would be easy to miss and shook his head. He slowly let his eyes trail over her and felt his body temperature rise a few degrees. “You’re amazing and so beautiful. And I don’t see an ounce of fat on you.” Then he leaned in and kissed her cheek and inhaled her scent, liking the way it made him feel as if he were floating through the air.

Brielle blushed some at that. “Thank you. And you yourself,” she leaned back some and took a moment to let her eyes wander of his form, “you look handsome; very, very handsome.”

Alex had elected to wear a pair of dark pants with a white button down shirt and a black vest over that. The vest had little skull faces for buttons and the black fedora that sat angled on his head just right had a matching print to the vest. Of course, the jewelry he wore; bracelets, rings, necklace and earrings helped complete the ensemble and she couldn’t remember a time he’d been more handsome, but it was his cologne that made her go weak in the knees.

This time it was his turn to blush and he was slightly puzzled as to why. Alex wasn’t the type to embarrass easily, but when it came to Brielle he was realizing it was like he was a whole different person than he had been before. “Thank you,” he voiced softly before reaching for her hand. “Are you ready to go?”

She nodded and he helped her with her wrap; black and silky to match the dress and then they stepped outside and the blonde’s eyes widened at the black stretch limo that was waiting in the drive. “Alex….”

He smirked and led her off the porch and down the walkway toward the vehicle. “Do you like?”

She tried to pause a few times, but he guided her along. “I…what’s this for?”

“Our date.” Then he stopped and turned to face her. “I told you I was gonna knock your socks off.”

“I…this,” Brielle looked the limousine over, noticing the chauffer that stood waiting ready to open the door for them once they were close enough, “I think you’ve succeeded. If I were wearing socks they’d most certainly be knocked off.”

That made him laugh and he kissed her cheek warmly then nudged her on and led the way down to where the chauffer was waiting. “Well, you ain’t seen nothing yet, baby.” Nodding toward the man dressed in a suit with a matching hat as he pulled the door open for the couple, Alex helped her inside then slipped in behind. “This is only the beginning.”

“Baby, you know you don’t have to do all this for me.”

“I know.” He reached and adjusted the radio settings then relaxed once the smooth sound of Jazz trickled from the speakers. “But I want to. We haven’t ever been on a real and official date and I want to spoil you like this.”

She watched him wordlessly for a moment then leaned and kissed his cheek so soft and sweetly it made his heart ache. With a smile, his hand found hers and their fingers laced together.

“So, can you tell me where we’re going?” She questioned once the limousine circled the drive and pulled back out onto the roadway, heading in the direction of the city.

Alex’s brown eyes twinkled with amusement. “Hm, no, I don’t think so.”

“Oh, come on.”

“Nope.” He shook his head, pressing his lips together to keep the ear to ear grin that wanted to come out at bay.

Brielle eyed him for a moment then leaned in and kissed his ear before giving it a teasing nip. “Not even a tiny, little clue?”

He shivered down his spine then slipped his arms around her and pulled her to him. “No, now stop trying to be sneaky.”

The blonde giggled and settled her body against his, inhaling his scent and allowing his warmth to invade her. “Alright, alright,” she finally relented.

Alex smiled then smelled her hair and shivered all the way down to his toes. The things he was feeling for this woman, the amount of love he had for her and how just her presence soothed him was like nothing before. This thing between them was real and genuine and forever and he couldn’t wait until the day she would give him their son and then the moment when they’d all three share the same last name.

Smoothing a hand down to her small rounded belly, he let his fingers stroke it softly. Hopefully it wouldn’t be too much longer before he would be able to feel the kicks and jabs and movement. And they would come up with the most perfect name and get the nursery finished soon. Just another four and a half months and then little baby McLean would be there for them to hold and cherish and love. Alex hoped he had his mother’s eyes and nose…and lips and ears. Oh yeah, and head. Not his head; he’d had a rather large head as a child. Fortunately he’d grown into it …but still, that was something he didn’t want for his child.

“What are you thinking about?”

Brielle’s voice pulled him from his thoughts and his eyes met hers. “Just about the baby and wondering what he’ll look like.”

“Mm, I think about that too,” she paused. “You know, we really need to keep thinking on a name.” Their name hunting from Friday had not been very successful and they’d ended it before either one could get too frustrated.

“I know,” he kissed her head and trailed his fingers along her belly, “but I don’t want either of us to get too frustrated tonight with that. Tonight is supposed to be date night and special and we have plenty of time after tonight to find the perfect name.”

She seemed to mull that over for a moment then smiled and kissed the corner of his mouth. “You’re right. Alright, no name talk tonight.”


Alex caught her cheek in his hand and turned her mouth toward his again, their lips meeting and the temperature in the car rising quite a few degrees. When they finally parted, both were breathless and flushed.

With a content sigh, Brielle settled against him once more and closed her eyes. She could stay like this forever and ever and ever and ev………….

“Brielle, Brie….baby.”

The voice calling her name and the gentle nudge to her shoulder jerked the blonde from the slumber she’d fallen into and she sat up straight. “Wh…huh, I wasn’t sleeping!”

Alex chuckled softly. “Sure you weren’t, though I think your snoring said otherwise.”

She blushed. “I don’t snore.”

“Uh huh,” he winked playfully at her, “but now that you’ve had a nice little refresher nap, you’ll be able to enjoy dinner. And on that note, we have arrived.” And he motioned toward the open limo door that the driver was holding.

“Ooh,” her eyes lit up and she anxiously peered out the door, “where are we?”

Alex slipped from the vehicle and offered his hand, carefully helping his fiancée out and allowing her time to smooth her dress and take in their surroundings.

They were at a lake it looked like; soft grass lead down to a tiny shoreline where glimmering water reflected the moonlight and spread out wide, though she could make out the dark background of the other side that seemed to be lined with trees. But it wasn’t the lake or the grass or the trees that took her breath away, though they all were beautiful, it was the gazebo that was out on the lake that was wrapped in hundreds of tiny white lights and twinkling and looking like something out of a movie. And there, in the middle of the gazebo, Brielle could see a table donned with a white table cloth and two chairs just waiting for them.

With wide eyes she turned to her fiancé. “This…wha….” but she was speechless.

Alex smirked at that and slipped his arm around her waist. “I figured you’d probably want something pretty private…so I hope this will do.” And then he was guiding her down to the shore and the dock that would lead them to the gazebo.

Brielle couldn’t find the right words. Everything she thought of just sounded too sappy or stupid and wouldn’t form correctly on her tongue anyway. And as Alex led her down the path and out onto the dock then down into the gazebo, tears began to fill her eyes and her shoulders shook slightly from it.

He didn’t notice until he was reaching for her chair and then he stopped, concern filling his face and his hands going to her shoulders. “Baby, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”

She shook her head then nodded and reached up to wipe just under her eyes. All she wanted to do at that moment was collapse into his arms and cry and she had no idea why.

Alex’s brow drew together and he tilted her head up some so their eyes could meet. “Did I do something wrong? Do you hate this? We can go somewhere else.”

But she shook her head and wiped at her cheeks then took a breath and finally was able to force something tangible from her mouth, “N..no, I…I love th..this.”

“Then…what is it?” He was more than a little confused.

“It’s just…” she closed her eyes and took a breath to try and gather her composure before continuing. Opening them again she met his brown orbs and a new set of tears began to fill her eyes.

Wordlessly, Alex pulled her into his arms and hugged her close and tight. He could feel her body tremble slightly against his and he held her protectively and without a word until she finally settled against him and the trembling stopped.

Slowly he released her and she pulled back and wiped at her face once more. Extracting a kerchief from his pocket he passed it to her and waited until she was ready to continue.

Brielle took it and pressed her to her eyes and cheeks, trying to clear the tears away. With a sniff, she wiped her nose then finally brought her eyes back to his and gave an embarrassed titter. “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head, “Don’t be sorry, baby. Did I do something wrong?”

“No.” She shook her own head at that and wiped at her nose once more before speaking again, “It’s just…” her lower lip trembled some, but she held strong, “no one’s ever…ever done anything like this for me before and…and it just…it makes me cry.”

His face softened at that and he reached to brush his fingers across her cheek. “Well, I’m glad I can do this for you. And I’m gonna be doing stuff like this for the rest of our lives.”

She melted at that and folded herself into his embrace again. “I can’t believe this is my life.”

Alex smiled softly and kissed the nape of her neck, hugging her close once more. “Well, believe it, baby, cuz it is; you and me forever.”

Brielle stayed in his arms a moment longer then finally righted herself and smoothed her dress and touched her hair. “Ugh, I must look a mess.”

He reached out and caught her chin in his hand, forcing their eyes to meet again. “I think you look absolutely beautiful.”

She blushed despite herself. “I don’t know why I …got all emotional like that.”

Alex wasn’t sure why either, but then suddenly it hit him; the pregnancy, the hormones, the mood swings. “Uh…well I think I might have a tiny idea.” Then he reached and smoothed a hand over her belly. “I think it’s just all a part of having a baby; something all expectant mothers go through.”

“Oh,” she blinked some then shook her head like she couldn’t believe she hadn’t thought of that, “that’s probably it.”

He smiled and then kissed her lips. “Alright, do you feel better?”

When she nodded, he took her hand in his and led her over to the table. “Then our dinner awaits, Madame.” And he pulled her chair out for her, letting her sit before helping her get it adjusted just right. Then upon taking his own seat, he gave a signal with his hand and a waiter seemed to materialize out of thin air and appear there at the table.

Brielle jerked just slightly at that and then thanked him as he set down two glasses of water and asked if they were ready to begin their dinner. He was tall and thin with salt and pepper hair and a nasally voice and he wore a black suit with a white vest beneath the jacket and white gloves on his hands. He reminded her very slightly of Lurch from the Adams Family and then she had to hold in a giggle at that thought.

Catching her eye, Alex winked and then nodded and thanked the server and soon dinner was being served.

They started out with salads as fresh and green as any the blonde had seen before and oh they were good. Bits of bacon and eggs and cheese and croutons gave it flavor and the dressing seemed to melt in her mouth. Next they were served smoked chicken cut into little strips that had been marinated with Chinese black tea and different spices all presented so nicely on a bed of lettuce. It was more delicious than it looked and Brielle wondered to herself where and how Alex was doing all this.

After the appetizers were finished, Alex signaled the waiter to give them a few minutes before the main course and then reached and took Brielle’s hand in his. “You enjoying yourself so far?”

She smiled and gave his hand a squeeze. “I really am and it really does feel like I’ve stepped into the pages of a fairytale.”

“Well,” he smiled bashfully, “I’m just trying to give you the best date possible.”

“Oh, I don’t think anything could ever top this.” She glanced around to the water and the moonlight and felt the slight breeze that tickled her shoulders. “It’s amazing.”

“Good.” He relaxed some in his chair. “After our conversation on the phone, I got to thinking about it and you’re right; you didn’t ask for any of the attention and I don’t want to be the cause of the press harassing you or getting too close for comfort.”

“Oh, Alex-” She started to say, but he held up a finger and then continued his train of thought.

“And I do want to be able to take you out and romance you and spoil you and have those wonderful moments with you, but I know that right now you’d be uncomfortable out there so then I began to think of ways to do all that, but keep it relatively private. And well,” he paused some and drew up a shoulder, glancing around at their surroundings then to her once more, “this is what I came up with.”

She couldn’t stop the smile on her face and had the strongest urge to climb into his lap and get as close as she could. “I love you; I really, really do.”

He lifted her hand and kissed her fingers. “Good, because it’d really suck if you didn’t.”

“Well, no worries there.”

Alex winked at her then sat back and signaled and the server reappeared with the main course.

It was pasta; some kind of ziti bursting with flavors of cheese and sauce and meat and unlike any other kind of ziti Brielle had ever had before. It was delicious and made her feel like they had been transported somehow to Italy.

She shared her thoughts with Alex.

“Would you like to go to Italy?” He questioned after wiping his mouth and returning the napkin to his lap.

“Someday I’d love to.”

“Well, you know…we need to pick a honeymoon destination.”

Brielle returned her fork to her plate. “I hadn’t even thought about a honeymoon.”

He chuckled low at that. “We can go anywhere you want, baby.”

“Baby.” She blinked. “The baby; how are we gonna leave our baby and go on a honeymoon?”

“Well,” he set his own fork down and leaned toward her some, “I guess it depends on when we get married.”

She thought on that a moment. “When do you want to get married?”

“I’d marry you tonight if I could.”

Her cheeks tinged pink. “For serious.”

Alex didn’t bat an eye. “I’m being serious. If we were in Vegas, I’d say, let’s do it now.”

“Don’t you want a wedding?”

He nodded some. “Well, yeah, a wedding would be nice, but I’d much rather just be married to you.”

Brielle smoothed her napkin through her fingers; it was cloth and heavy. “I’ve always dreamt about my wedding. You know, every little girl does. I’d look like a princess with a beautiful gown and my hair done so nice and pretty with little flowers in it. And we’d dance together under the stars.” She paused and then a frown fell over her delicate features. “But I don’t really have anyone I’d invite…well other than Lily and Jordan …and Laurel and maybe a few of the girls from the office.”

Alex reached for her hand. “We could have a small wedding; something intimate with just our close family and friends.”

“You’d really be okay with that?” Her eyes settled on his face. Alex was grand and flair and had lots of friends and business contacts and knew more people than Brielle thought she’d ever known in her lifetime. “I always thought you’d want a big wedding.”

He shrugged some. “In the past, I thought I did…but now, here in this moment with you,” he nodded toward her, “I would marry you with just the priest and a witness. In jeans and a tshirt if that’s what you wanted.”

She giggled softly. “I think suits or tuxes would be more appropriate.”

Alex kissed her fingers. “Me too, baby. So, I think we just need to figure out when we want to get married and then we can work on the kind of wedding we want.”

“Okay,” Brielle’s smile grew at the thought, “that sounds good to me.”

Alex kissed her fingers once more then returned to his food. “So, when you’ve thought of your wedding…what time of year did you always see yourself getting married in?”

The blonde resumed her own dinner, pausing at the question to think it over. “This may sound kind of weird,” she began as she selected another garlic stick and dipped it in some of the ziti sauce, “but I like the idea of a winter wedding; deep reds and blues and silver and snow and pink cheeks and a sleigh ride.”

Her fiancé lifted a brow. “Really, a winter wedding?”

“Mhm,” she shrugged some, “but if you don’t like that we don’t have to do it.”

“No,” Alex shook his head some, “it’s not that I don’t like it…I’ve just never thought about something like that. With weddings you think warmth and sun and the beach or an open field of flowers or-”

“Oh!” She sat up straight, cutting him off with her exclamation. “That would be so beautiful!”

He blinked. “What? The beach?”

“No,” excitedly she reached for his hand, “an open field of flowers with a sky so clear and blue.”

He couldn’t help the grin that tugged at his lips. “Yeah?”

“Yes,” her head bobbed, “let’s do that. I can already see it in my head.”

He grinned and just watched her a moment, imagining what she’d look like on their wedding day, coming down the aisle to meet him with their son in his grandmother’s arms watching from the side. The open field surrounding them filled with flowers of all colors and a wreath of white ones done up all nice in her hair. It was perfect and he suddenly wanted it very badly.

“Okay,” he agreed. “We’ll get married in a field of flowers with only close friends and family there to celebrate with us.”

Brielle felt so warm inside just filled with love for him and for their baby. Everything was so right and wonderful and she finally felt like she belonged somewhere. She was really, truly home. “Now we just have to figure out when.”

“And where.” He set his fork down and wiped his mouth once more.

“And what your schedule is going to be.”

At that thought, Alex made a face. He’d temporarily forgotten about his career and the crazy, hectic scheduling they’d have sometimes. “Ugh, that just brought reality crashing back down around me.”

Brielle laughed softly and touched his arm. “I’m sorry. I just remember you saying that you’re gonna have a busy year with the album and the touring.”

“That’s true, but hey,” he caught her hand in his and looked her in the eye, “I’ll make time for our wedding and honeymoon and time for you and little baby boy McLean.”

She smiled then leaned in and kissed his cheek. “I know you will.”

“Maybe we could get married sometime in the late fall. Our tour’s probably going to wrap up in September.”

“Do fields of flowers bloom in the late fall?”

He really had no idea. “Um…” a chuckle, “I’m not sure, but they have to bloom somewhere in the world. I’m sure in the south they do.”

“Okay,” she smiled and his heart melted, “we’ll look into it and find out when and where and then pick a date. How’s that?”

“That’s perfect.” Alex leaned in and kissed her softly. “Absolutely perfect.” Then he kissed her again and again before finally sitting back. “Now, how do you feel about dessert?”

End Notes:

Thank you to those still reading. Hope you enjoyed it. As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Chapter Thirty-Nine by summer
Author's Notes:

Enjoy and thanks for all the feedback! :)

The date had been perfect and Alex had definitely succeeded in knocking Brielle’s socks off. After their wedding conversation, they’d been served a mouth watering, strawberry cheesecake creation that was absolutely to die for. The couple had taken turns feeding each other and then soft music began to float from somewhere in the gazebo and they’d ended the evening dancing under the stars and holding each other close. Of course, after arriving home there’d be more romantic activity in the bedroom and finally they’d fallen asleep tucked in each other’s arms like that’s where they’d always belonged.

The next few weeks went smoothly for both Alex and Brielle. The days were filled with work and the nights were their own where they would take strolls or hot baths together, go out to dinner or a movie, or spend the entire night wrapped up in each other in the bedroom. Their love was still continuing to grow and as each day passed they were more and more united.

Neither heard a single word from Renee since the whole magazine fiasco and the press had seemed to even forget that it had existed. The statement that Alex had kept telling his publicist to put out then would retract, was officially released at the beginning of March and it did increase the attention somewhat, but at least people weren’t trying to get any money shots to prove the pregnancy or not.

The group had finished their album up just as Alex released the statement about Brielle and the baby and it was slated to be released mid May. The tour plans were coming together and there was going to be some promotional touring in April and May to spread the word of the new album. Brielle was nervous at the thought of Alex being gone for a few days here or there and being alone. Sure, she had some work friends and there was Laurel, who she was becoming close with, but she was worried about something happening and not knowing how to handle it, or being alone and not thinking clearly enough to do what she might need to.

Luckily, Alex helped solve that problem. It was the middle of March and they had just returned home from picking out items for the baby’s nursery. Brielle was 25 weeks with just 15 left to go and with Alex’s time opening up a bit more before all the promoting and touring and rehearsing, the couple was taking full advantage to make sure they were prepared when their bundle of joy did arrive.

Leaving Brielle alone in California was definitely weighing on the singer's mind and they were putting away the latest purchases in the room they had selected for the nursery, when the answer to their problem hit him, he was embarrassed to not have thought of it earlier. It was so genius and he was sure there would be qualms about it on either end.

“So, I just had a thought,” he announced, returning from the closet that was slowly filling with baby clothes and diapers and towels and other necessities. Since the news of the announcement, they had been getting a steady stream of gifts from his fans and while he appreciated the thought, he really had no idea what they would do with it all. Half of it probably wouldn’t even be used. Maybe they could donate some, let other families who don’t have the means use them.

His blonde fiancée turned from the dark wooden, sleigh styled crib that had arrived the previous week. “Look!” She exclaimed with some excitement in her tone.

Alex peered around her to see a mobile with cute safari animals dangling from it. He smiled as she pushed a button and it slowly began to turn, a soft melodious tune filling the room. “That’s really cute.”

“I knew it would go perfect with the bed.” She giggled softly then surveyed the room. It had taken about a week to get the room painted and set up. The furniture had been delivered and arranged nicely and now all they needed were more diapers and then the baby.

Instead of the usual blue that accompanied boys’ nurseries, the couple had opted for cream colored paint with olive green and natural brown accents. Safari was the theme and the border at the top of the wall had cute little animals that matched the mobile almost perfectly. The dresser, changing table, armoire, glider and crib were all a matching set in a dark wooden color that complimented the look and style of the room. Pictures of safari animals were on one wall and the curtains that lined the windows were just a shade darker than the paint. To Brielle, the room felt cozy and soothing and just perfect for their son.

“Now, all we need is to decide on a name and have it stenciled in.” She motioned toward the wall above the crib where the space had been left intentionally blank for that reason.

Names. As much as Alex wanted to find the perfect name, just the thought of scouring any more name books or the internet was making his head hurt. Nothing seemed right for either of them and if one liked something, the other wasn’t particularly feeling it. And one day they both might agree on one and then change their mind the next day. It definitely wasn’t an easy task and he was grateful they still had 15 weeks to go.

“We’ll figure a name, baby.” He moved behind her then slid his arms around her waist, resting his hands on her swollen belly.

“What if he never gets a name?” She smoothed a hand over the side of her ever growing stomach.

Alex kissed her jaw. “Then we’ll just call him ‘hey you’.”

“We can’t name our baby ‘hey you’.”

He chuckled and kissed her jaw again. “I’m only teasing.”

“What do you think of Murphy?”

One lone brow arched. “Murphy?” Then he blinked when something bumped against his hand. “What was that?”

Brielle looked to her tummy. “Just the baby.” Then she stopped and her head snapped up. “Did…did you feel that?”

Alex peered over her shoulder. “I did.” It came again against his hand and he felt a dopy grin forming on his face. “That’s…that’s him.”

“Yes!” She giggled excitedly then took his hand and placed it on the side of her belly. “He’s really kicking up a storm right here.”

And he was. Right there against his hand he felt one, two, three jabs that bumped his palm. “I can’t believe this.” Then he was moving around her and coming to her front, kneeling down so his face was eyelevel with her abdomen. “Hello in there,” he spoke softly to her stomach and laughed softly when he felt the response. “This is amazing.”

“I know.” She tittered happily, smoothing her own hand over her fiancé’s cheek and relishing in this moment between the three of them. “He recognizes your voice. He’s all ‘that’s my daddy’.”

Alex didn’t know why her words or this moment was making his eyes grow misty, but they were. “Yeah, you know your old man’s voice, don’t you,” he spoke at her belly again. “We can’t wait to see you. Just a few more weeks and you’ll be here with us.”

Brielle reached and wiped at her own eyes. “But don’t rush it,” she added. “We want you nice and healthy.”

“That’s right.” He kissed her tummy and smoothed his hand over it. “So take your time, we’ll be here when you’re ready.” Touching her belly once more, but not feeling any movements, he rose to his feet then cupped his fiancée’s cheeks and kissed her mouth.

“I love you,” he whispered against her lips once they had parted.

She smiled and touched his cheek. “I love you too.”

“And I love our….Murphy?” He arched a brow then shook his head. “No, not Murphy.”

Brielle wrinkled her nose then wrapped her arms around him and hugged him close. “Definitely not Murphy.”

He smiled and held her to him, inhaling her scent of peaches and trying to memorize this moment and instill it into his brain forever. He wanted to remember this, remember it exactly this way when he was out on tour and away from her, from them. He wanted this feeling to be there in him so he could call on it and feel like she was right there in his arms when she’d in fact be hundreds, or thousands, of miles away.

And then he remembered something. Chuckling at himself, he lifted his head and peered down to her face. “So, I had a thought while I was in the closet putting away the baby things.”

“Hm, what was that?” Her clear blue eyes opened to meet his brown orbs and he felt a shiver run through him. She always made him feel wonderful and strong and so needed.

“Well, you know that my mom is going to be throwing you that baby shower next month.”

“Mhm, just before you leave me.” She pouted and pressed her face into his chest.

Alex slowly pulled from her arms so he could meet her gaze again. “And I know that you’re worried, and I’m worried, about you being here alone.”

“Right.” She tilted her head just slightly. “What are you thinking?”

Alex took her hands in his. “Well, I know in the past we talked briefly about my mom coming out here with you while I’m away.”

“You want her to come out here to stay with me?”

“She would.” He offered up a smile. “She would love to be out here with you and help finish up all the baby things.”

“Do you really think she’ll want to be away from her home for that long?”

He snorted. “Please. If it comes down to you and this grandbaby or her home, she’ll take you and her grandbaby any day. And I’m sure Tony will come out to visit here and there.”

Brielle studied his face. “I like it, but you really think she’s going to want to stay out here with me all that time?”

“Baby, my mom loves you.” He kissed her cheek. “And she loves me and she loves our child; she’s going to be thrilled at the idea. And I’ll be back and forth with the promoting. So it’s not like hers is the only face you’re going to see over the next couple months.”

“True.” She rested her cheek against his chest. “And I’ll still be working and what not.” Then a thought hit her and she pulled back. “The girls at the office want to throw me a small shower for the baby. Nothing big, just all coworkers and they want to do it some Friday afternoon.”

“Ooh, that’s a sweet thing for them to do.” His knuckles brushed her cheek. “Do I get to come?”

She chuckled softly. “You might could make an appearance. It’s not gonna be a ladies only thing, so I don’t see why not. Unless you’re out of town,” she added as an afterthought.

He nodded in agreement at that then took her hands once more. “Alright, so we’ll call my mom and run the idea by her. Though I don’t see her saying no. Then we can go to Florida for the shower and she can return to California with us.”

“Okay,” she smiled softly at him, “that would make me feel a lot better.”

“Me too.” He returned her smile then kissed her lips softly. “Now, how ‘bout some dinner? You can lie down and take a nap while I figure out what we can have.”

The blonde made a face. “I don’t want to rest.”

“You heard the doctor; you need lots of rest and to drink plenty of fluids. Besides,” he added as he led her from the room, shutting off the light when they got to the doorway, “neither of us will be getting much rest once our son joins us, so might as well get what you can right now.”

Brielle stuck her tongue out at that, but relented and allowed him to lead her down the hall toward their bedroom. “I’ll take a nap, but only on one condition.”

Alex eyed her cautiously. “What’s that?”

“That you take one with me.” She smirked then slipped her arm around his and tugged him into the room. “You’ve got a busy few months ahead of you too, so you’ll need all the rest you can get.”

“But what about dinner?” He objected, allowing himself to be tugged toward the bed.

“It’s not going anywhere; it’ll be there when we wake up.”

He chuckled at that, knowing she was right. “Alright,” he agreed before kicking off his shoes and curling up on the bed with Brielle in his arms. He wasn’t one to argue, besides, he’d take this over making dinner any day.

~*~*~*~*~

It turned out that neither Alex nor Brielle had to call his mom and invite her out. She beat them to it the following day when she phoned and invited herself out. April 10th would be the baby shower in Florida where most of Alex’s family and some close friends would be joining them. Then Denise and Brielle would return to California and Alex would take his leave and be on his way to New York for a week of interviews and appearances.

Though she was excited for the baby shower and to visit Florida, Brielle wasn’t looking forward to Alex leaving. He was going to be gone a week in New York then would be home for a few days while they did some promoting there in Los Angeles and then afterward it would be various and random places around the US and up to Canada for awhile.

Finally, Alex was slated to be finished with the promoting by mid May, which only gave them about another month to really be ready for their son’s arrival. June 21st was creeping closer and closer with every passing day and the blonde was getting more and more apprehensive about going into labor and giving birth.

Though it wasn’t until after one of their Lamaze classes, where they had watched a labor and delivery video, that Brielle voiced her thoughts.

“I am not having this baby,” she announced the minute they were through the front door and back into their home.

Alex followed her in and closed the door behind then, securing the locks and the alarm. “Yeah, I don’t know how I feel about it either.” The video, while being very realistic, had also included a lot of blood and other unpleasant things that he never, ever wanted to see again. The whole thing had made him feel very light headed and close to passing out.

Her blonde headed nodded firmly as she slipped out of her black flats. “Our son can just…stay in here forever then.”

“It really isn’t a pleasant thing to have to witness.”

“Heh, try having to be the one to do it.”

He made a little face. “I don’t care what anyone says; women are by far, by far, the more superior sex.”

Brielle set her purse down on an end table there in the foyer. “It just… it was so horrible. Did you hear the way she was screaming?”

Alex shuddered. That was a sound that would be with him for quite some time to come. “I don’t think I’ll ever forget it. It’ll haunt me in my dreams.”

She sighed. “Isn’t there some other way for this child to be born?”

“Well,” he reached and took her hand then led her down into the living room, “there’s that c-section thing. But you heard as well as I did that recovery from that is much longer and harder than regular birth.”

She allowed herself to sink down onto the couch. “It’s just…I just…” she made a face, “I’m scared. That… it didn’t look pleasant, or sound pleasant, and that poor woman was in labor for fifty-two hours. Fifty-two hours. That’s more than two days!”

“I know, sweetheart.” He sank down beside her then angled her some so he could reach her shoulders and back, massaging at the base of her neck first. “None of it seemed pleasant until the end when they had their little baby in their arms.” He smiled at the memory. “They were so happy and it didn’t even seem like the mom cared about what she had just gone through.”

“Then she’s crazy,” Brielle snorted out.

He hid a chuckle then leaned in and kissed her shoulder. “We’re gonna get through this.”

“Heh, easy for you to say,” she pulled from his touch and turned to face him, “you’re not the one pushing a watermelon out of your nostril.”

“Last time I checked, I didn’t think you were either,” he teased her, but the look she shot him shut him right up.

She sighed and sank into the back of the couch. “What if I’m never the same again? What if I’m like…disfigured forever down there? What if you don’t ever want to see me naked again?”

“Hey,” he reached out and caught her hand in his, “I always want to see you naked.” Then he gave a grunt and looked her over longingly. “In fact, I could go for seeing you naked right now.”

“Stop.” She pulled her hand from his. “I’m being serious here.”

“So am I.”

“Alex.”

“Brielle.”

She narrowed her eyes at him and Alex sighed and ran a hand over his face then faced her again. Despite being possibly scarred forever from the video, and not sure if he was going to handle their own labor and delivery well, he knew he needed to be the strong one right now.

“Baby,” he took her hand in his once more, “women all over the world have babies every day. It’s a natural and beautiful thing and sure, it can be very scary and it’s going to hurt, but what you get out of all that hard work and pain is something so beautiful and special. The journey to get there is what makes this baby, our son, that much more precious and loved. You’re not ever going to be able to believe how strongly you love this little baby,” he touched her tummy for effect, “once he’s in your arms. It’s like nothing you have ever felt before.”

She watched him, his words softening the irritation in her eyes. “I know, but I’m really scared,” and her voice trembled.

Alex felt his heart go out to her and he pulled her into his embrace. “I know it doesn’t make you feel any better, but I’m scared too.”

“What are you scared of?”

“Of you being in pain.” He smoothed some hair from her forehead. “That there’s nothing I can do to make it better or take it away.” He nearly voiced that fact that he was scared something might go wrong, but caught himself just in time. Scaring her even more was not what he was trying to do at the moment.

She relaxed into him at that. “I think I want lots of drugs.”

“Okay,” he kissed the top of her head, “we’ll get you lots of drugs.” At that moment in their life, he’d give her whatever she asked for. Whatever it took to get her, and them, through this.

“And you can’t look down there…ever.”

He chuckled softly and brushed his fingers over her cheek. “Oh, that is definitely not something you have to worry about. After that video, I will have no desire whatsoever to look down there.”

“Not even if the doctor tells you to.”

“Not even then.” He held her a little closer. “Not even if he grabs me and tries to force me too.”

Despite herself, she felt a small titter escape her lips. “Right, not even then. You’ll just close your eyes.”

“That’s right.” He kissed her head then rested his cheek against it.

“And I want Lily there.”

“I don’t think I could keep her away if I even wanted to. And I don’t think you’ll have a thing to worry about with her there. She’ll be strong enough for the both of us.” He chuckled low at that thought.

“I miss her.” And she pressed her face into his chest, her shoulders giving a jerk at the tears that were filling her eyes.

“Oh, sweetheart,” he smoothed a hand over the back of her head, “I know you do. But you’ll be seeing her at the baby shower.”

Brielle sniffed and lifted her head some, wiping at her cheeks. “I know, but I miss her so much right now.” Then she gave a frustrated sigh and leaned, grabbing the box off tissues off the end table. “Ugh, I hate these pregnancy emotions.”

Alex wanted to agree, but thought better of it. “Can I get you anything?”

The blonde wiped her eyes and cheeks with the tissues. “A taco?”

“Just one?”

“Yes,” she nodded her head then shook it, “no, just two.”

“Two tacos.” He rose up from the couch and tugged his pants up some. “Anything else?”

“A large fruit punch. Oh and some nachos. Ooh and those fiesta potato thingies.”

He nodded; grateful he’d left his shoes on. “Two tacos, a large fruit punch, some nachos and some fiesta potatoes. Got it.” He leaned and kissed her cheek. “I’ll be back.”

“Thank you.” She sniffed and settled back into the couch.

He nodded and jogged toward the door, swiping his keys up off the table in the foyer. He’d just disarmed the alarm and had opened the door when her voice stopped him.

“Alex?”

Backtracking, he peered into the living room. “Yes, love?”

Brielle was still on the couch. “I don’t want the tacos. Can I have a cheeseburger instead? With chili cheese fries and extra pickles on the side?”

Alex arched a brow. “A cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and extra pickles?”

“On the side.”

“On the side. Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She nodded her head. “Thank you.”

He watched her a moment then nodded his own head. “Alright, coming right up.” Then started for the front door again.

This time he made it outside and was halfway to the car when his cell rang. Pulling it from his pocket, Brielle’s name flashed on the screen and he shook his head some, hitting to accept the call and lifting it to his ear. “Yes, baby?”

“I don’t want the burger anymore.”

Alex unlocked his SUV and slipped inside. “What do you want?”

“A roast beef sub with cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles and banana peppers.”

His dark eyes darted toward the phone. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Definitely roast beef.”

“Alright, baby, anything else?”

“Hm, no. Just that…and thank you.”

He smiled and told her anytime then shut the phone off and tossed it into the passenger seat. Yes, he definitely could not wait until these pregnancy hormones weren’t taking over her body.

Sticking the key into the ignition, he started the SUV and buckled up. All in all, she wasn’t horribly moody or snapping at him with every turn. But she did seem to cry more often and now these food cravings and she couldn’t make up her mind. Trying to push it from his mind, he took the circular drive and headed back down the driveway toward the front gates. Least she didn’t want all of it at once so he was forced to drive all over town. But if she did, then he would do it. Because that’s what you did when you loved someone.

He’d just pulled out onto the road when the sound of his phone filled the air. Pushing the button in his SUV to accept the call, he was greeted with his fiancée’s voice now requesting some Kung Pao Chicken and Lo Mein Noodles and yes, this time she was completely positive.

Trying not to let himself get irritated, he agreed to her food change then pushed the button to end the call and headed in the direction of the nearest Chinese restaurant. If she changed her mind once more he was just going to bring it all back to her and then some. Man, the things one did for love and their pregnant fiancée. He hoped she was hungry.

Chapter Forty by summer
Author's Notes:

Happy New Year!

“Brielle, honey, if you’ll get the cups, I’ll carry the punch to the table.”

Brielle looked over from where Denise was stirring a large bowl of some kind of red punch. It looked like there were oranges and other fruits floating around in it. “Oh sure.” She crossed to where two large stacks of cups were and gathered them, juggling them in her hands and using the swell in her belly to help keep them from toppling to the floor.

“Be careful, dear, I don’t want you to trip.”

“I got it,” she called out from behind the cups, doing her best to make it safely to the cardboard table that had been set up and draped with a blue tablecloth. Upon reaching the table she managed to drop the cups down and began to straighten them out. “See.”

Denise chuckled low then heaved up the bowl and slowly brought it over. It soon joined the cups and the older woman went about setting everything out nice and neatly with napkins included. “Here, taste this.” She swiped a cup and ladled some of the punch into it then pressed it into Brielle’s hands.

The blonde sipped it and gave an approving ‘yum’. “It’s delicious.”

“Good.” Denise smiled then set the ladle against the side of the bowl. “It’s my secret recipe. And one day, I may pass it on to you.” She winked at her then bustled back into the kitchen to finish her preparations.

It was Sunday, April 10th and Brielle and Alex had traveled back to Florida for the baby shower that Denise was throwing. And throwing one indeed; the place was decorated to the nines with blue streamers and blue and white balloons and a banner that read ‘Congratulations, Alex & Brielle’ in blue and white lettering. And the food galore. Any and every kind of finger food was displayed beautifully on a long table and now the punch Denise had set out.

A tent had been constructed in the backyard with tables and chairs for the guests and a large table stood to the side to hold the gifts that were brought for the couple. Brielle wouldn’t have believed all the trouble Denise and Tony had gone through if she hadn’t witnessed it with her own eyes. She was blown away by all the grandeur and the small details down to the tiny blue baby booty candle mementos for the guests.

After assisting Denise with the cups, Brielle made her way back into the house where she found Alex with his stepfather. The guests were due to arrive any minute now and then the party would be under full swing. She was excited to meet his family and friends that she hadn’t met yet, but she was most excited to see Lily again. Lily and Jordan were supposed to have flown in on Saturday and the two couples were going to have dinner together, but something had come up so they had to change their tickets to this morning and would be arriving about the time the party started.

“There you are.” Alex turned to her as she joined them, holding out a hand for hers. “You look beautiful.”

Brielle smiled softly and looked down to the navy colored, cap sleeved dress she was wearing. Personally, she felt like she was slowly becoming a whale. Her stomach, which had started out growing slowly and little by little, had seemed to double in size over night and now she could hardly even see her toes anymore. Not to mention, her breasts felt like they were getting heavier and heavier with each passing day. She felt so top heavy and waddley like a duck it was a wonder she didn’t fall over on her face.

“I feel huge,” she finally commented, looking back to her fiancé’s face.

Alex leaned in and kissed her cheek. “I think you’re beautiful.”

That made her smile and she squeezed his hand. “Well, thank you.”

Alex stood straight again then pulled her closer and slipped his arm around her shoulders. “Tony was just giving me some name suggestions.” The couple was still kaput on what to name their son.

Brielle leaned into his side. “Oh yeah? Any that you like?”

Tony chuckled. “I suggested Anthony.”

“Anthony…Anthony McLean,” she mulled it over. “I kinda like that. We could call him,” and she paused and laughed low at the realization, “Tony.”

Tony smirked and Alex chuckled. “I told him I wasn’t against it.”

“Hm, what about Antonio?”

“Hey, long as you call him Tony… you could name him George and I’d be fine with it,” Tony teased.

Brielle laughed at that. “I do like Anthony though.”

Alex kissed her cheek. “I do too. Anthony Alexander McLean.”

“Oye, that’s a mouthful.”

Her fiancé opened his mouth to reply, but the doorbell sounded and cut him off. He glanced toward the door then back to her and wiggled his brows. “It’s party time.”

She giggled low and smoothed her dress as Tony went off to answer the door. “I’m so nervous to meet your family.”

“They’re going to love you.”

“I hope so.” She reached up and touched her hair then looked toward the doorway as the voices neared and Tony appeared again.

“Right this way,” he instructed the guests, leading them into the room to the waiting couple.

“Brielle!” Lily appeared in the doorway followed by Jordan who was carrying two large gift bags with baby blue tissue paper overflowing from the tops.

“Lily!” Brielle felt her eyes widen and then tears filled them as she pushed forward to her best friend, meeting Lily halfway across the room and wrapping her into a tight hug.

Lily’s own eyes shimmered with tears and she returned the hug, holding it for a half moment before pulling back enough to look her friend over. “Oh my gosh, look how beautiful you are!”

The blonde blushed some and chuckled softly, wiping under her eyes then looking down at herself. “I’m so big.”

“And beautiful!” Her friend reached out and smoothed her hand over Brielle’s tummy. “You have got the cutest bump I think I have ever seen.” She tilted her head some and patted her belly. “Hello in there. This is your Aunt Lily.”

“It just…popped out over night. I woke up like…whoa, I can’t see my feet.”

“It’s so cute!” Lily giggled and patted her belly once more then moved her hand. “You have to let me know if he moves. I want to feel it.”

Brielle couldn’t help her grin. “Oh definitely.” She took a moment to look her friend over then hugged her again. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“I wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Lily hugged her back then they separated and Brielle greeted Jordan while Lily said hello to Alex.

“So,” her dear friend questioned once she was back at the blonde’s side, “has Alex felt him move yet?”

“All the time.” A grin spread over her face. “And he loves to talk or sing to him; it’s just the cutest thing, Lily. Ugh, it makes me want to just cry and cry. Stupid hormones.”

“Aww, that’s so cute.” She slipped her arm through her friend’s. “And you’re feeling okay?”

“I feel fat,” came Brielle’s response.

Lily snorted. “I don’t see an ounce of fat on you. You’re all baby, Brie.”

“All huge baby, you mean. I’m so worried he is gonna come out like 20 pounds and three feet tall.”

The brunette laughed. “Like that commercial where the lady gives birth to the teenager.”

“Ugh,” Brielle turned away from her friend, “please don’t put any mental images into my head.”

Lily apologized and Alex joined them, smoothing his arm around Brielle’s waist and gently pulling her to his side. “What mental images are you putting into my fiancée’s head?”

But before either woman could respond, the door chimes were sounding signaling more guests had arrived and the party was kicked into gear.

Brielle met more people than she had expected to meet; all kinds of family friends joined them and near and far family members. Everyone was just so excited to finally get to meet the young woman who had affected Alex’s life so and she hardly had a minute to herself the entire afternoon. It was a day she wanted to never forget. Every person she met had just been so sweet and excited for her and Alex and while the guests munched on the finger foods and sipped Denise’s punch, the happy couple announced the engagement and then it was time to ooh over the ring and ask all kinds of questions about when and where they wanted to get married.

Denise had to finally remind everyone it was a baby shower and then it was time for Baby Bingo, Baby Trivia and a few other baby themed games the hostess had thought up. Afterward, Alex and Brielle opened the gifts and the blonde tried not to cry at all the beautiful and thoughtful mementos and other helpful baby items they had received. She had no idea how they would get any of it back to California, but that was something she would let Alex worry about.

And then while Lily and Denise flittered about cleaning up all the wrapping paper and gift bags, Alex rose from his seat and took Brielle’s hand, helping her to her feet as well. “I have something for you,” he spoke low in her ear before excusing them from the guests that were mingling amongst themselves.

“What do you have?” She questioned him curiously as they made their way back into the house and toward the front living room.

Alex stopped just outside the doorway and grinned at her. “Close your eyes.”

Her brows lifted. “My eyes?”

“Yes,” he touched her cheek, “close your eyes.”

Her blue eyes studied him a moment then she giggled softly and let her lids close. “Don’t let me fall.”

“I’m not gonna let you fall, baby.”

He kissed her cheek softly and she inhaled his scent, feeling herself melting some. “Mkay, I trust you.”

“Good.” And he moved behind her and took hold of her shoulders, slowly steering her into the room so she wouldn’t trip. He waited until they had come to a stop before taking her hand with one of his and speaking once more, “Okay, you can look.”

Brielle’s eyelids fluttered some as she slowly opened them and she gasped at the sight before her.

A bassinette had been placed there in a rich, wooden color to match the décor of the nursery with cream colored bedding and a matching canopy that could be adjusted. At the bottoms of the legs were wheels that could be locked in place and made the bassinette mobile and a shelf under the bedding part looked like it could be used for extra blankets or diapers, tucked conveniently out of the way but within easy reach.

“Oh, Alex,” she breathed out as she took it all in then slowly moved forward and ran her fingers over the smooth finish of the wooden side. “This…this is beautiful.”

“You like it?” He joined her and smoothed a hand over her back.

She turned to him with shimmering eyes. “I love it.”

The smile on his face grew bigger at that and he felt his body relaxing some. “I was gonna give it to you out there with the others watching, but thought maybe we needed this moment for ourselves.”

“Oh, I love it. I love it so much! Thank you!” And she wrapped herself around him and hugged him as tight as she could; holding it for a long moment then pulling away and examining the bassinette more closely. “This is just beautiful.”

Alex’s grin grew even more and he quickly showed her all the tiny bed had to offer like the rolling wheels and removable mattress, the interchangeable skirt of the bed that helped hide the shelf below.

“I had it custom made,” he admitted after she’d looked it carefully over. “I wasn’t sure they would get it done in time for today, but my guy came through.”

Brielle’s eyes widened. “Custom made?”

“Yup.” He smiled all big and proud at her then took her hand in his and led her around to the front of it. “And…he told me that as soon as we figure out the name, he’ll stencil it right there for us.” And he motioned toward the blank section on the outside of the head of the bassinette.

“Ooh, it’ll match the one on his wall.” And she was hugging him again and showering his face and neck with kisses. “I love it and I love you!”

He laughed softly and hugged her close. “Mm good, I’m so glad you do, love it and me,” he added as an afterthought.

She giggled and squeezed him once more then pulled back. “You really are amazing, you know that?”

“I’ve been told that once or twice.” He drew a shoulder up some, trying not to let the blush creep over his cheeks that was trying to. He would have to give all the credit for his amazing-ness to his fiancée though. She made him great and made him want to be better and do better.

She smiled and touched his cheek. “I’m so grateful I get to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“Me too.” He kissed her palm then held her hand to his cheek. “And I hope I live to be really, really old so we have lots and lots of years together.”

“That feeling is definitely mutual.” Then she slipped closer and melted into his embrace.

Alex held her close for a long moment then finally gave a small sound in his throat and pulled back, taking her hand into his. “We should probably get back out there. Another minute or two and my mom will probably be sending Lily in after us.”

Brielle laughed at that. “Probably so; we can’t be rude to our guests. Besides, I’m having the best time.”

“Me too.” He met her eyes and squeezed her hand firmly. “Now, let’s go have some cake before they cut it without us and eat it all up.”

“Ack, c’mon on!” And then she was pulling him out of the room and heading back for the backyard.

~*~*~*~*~

“Do you need any help in here?”

Denise turned to find Brielle in the doorway to her kitchen. She smiled softly at the blonde and shook her head. “No, I don’t want you lifting a finger here; I’m doing just fine.” She tilted her head toward the counter. “You can keep me company though.”

Brielle slipped to the counter and managed to wiggle herself onto a stool there. “Are you sure? I can wash a mean dish.”

“I’m almost finished up here, actually.” The older woman surveyed the scene where she stood hand washing the last of the dishes.

The party had been a success and after the guests had finally taken their leave, Alex, Tony and Jordan had cleaned up the backyard while Lily and Denise did the inside, including the dishes.

“Besides,” she looked back to her future daughter-in-law, “I thought you and Lily were cataloging the gifts.”

“We did that already. Lily is very efficient and now she’s helping Jordan and Alex take ‘em to the spare bedroom so they can be packed and shipped back to California.”

“And they won’t let you lift anything, will they?”

The blonde shook her head and pushed some hair from her face. “Nope, I get lucky if he let’s me carry in a grocery bag.”

Denise chuckled low and rinsed a plate under the water. “Well, you can’t be too careful. He just wants to make sure you’re doing all you can to keep you and the baby safe.”

“I know,” she sighed and propped her chin in her hand, her elbow on the counter, “but sometimes I just want to look at him and be like …‘I think I can carry a bag of food into the house’.”

“Enjoy it while it lasts.” She tucked the plate into the dish drain and moved on to the next one. “Soon he’ll be hollering at you to carry all the bags while he’s chasing a toddler that has escaped from his car seat and is now racing down the driveway.”

That made the blonde giggle. “You think that’ll happen?”

“That and much, much more.”

She giggled more. “I’m excited. I can’t wait to see his little face and his big eyes that look into mine, to feel his fingers gripping mine, to just hold him close and know that he’s mine.”

Denise paused at that and smiled softly. “It’s a wonderful feeling.”

“I’m scared for, ya know, all the stuff that happens before that, but I’m so itching to be at that point already.”

“Don’t rush it, sweetheart.” The older woman scrubbed some silverware then rinsed them and tucked them into the dish drain. “It’ll happen soon enough and then before you know it, he’s grown up and moving out. You need to enjoy every moment while it lasts.”

“I’m definitely gonna try.” She smoothed her hands over the counter and watched her future mother-in-law work. “I really appreciate that you’re coming out to stay with me while Alex is out of town.”

Denise turned to her. “I’m glad to be doing it.” She smiled brightly. “We’ll have so much fun; we’ll go shopping and out to lunch and take plenty of naps.”

“Ugh, Alex has talked to you, hasn’t he?”

She chuckled. “He doesn’t need to talk to me; I know that a pregnant woman needs plenty of rest.”

“Yeah, but are you gonna let me carry the grocery bags into the house?”

“That depends on how heavy they are.”

Brielle made a face. “Alex won’t even let me take in the eggs and bread.”

That made his mother laugh. “All I can say to that is to be grateful you have a man as wonderful and caring as he is. Some aren’t so lucky.”

“I know,” she smiled at the thought, “and I’m very grateful. You saw the bassinette he had made, right?”

“I did. It’s beautiful.” Denise tucked the last of the dishes into the dish drain then shut the water off and pulled the plug from the sink. “It’ll be perfect for when you want him in your bedroom those first few months. And easy to just move around the house while you’re doing this or that.”

“I know; I thought the same thing.” She sighed happily and let her mind wander back to the last few months of her life and how her life had changed so much and in such wonderful ways.

“So, have you two talked about wedding dates yet?” Denise questioned as she dried her hands and hung the dishtowel on a hook by the sink.

That pulled the blonde from her daydreaming and she sat up a little straighter. “Somewhat. Our mind hasn’t really been on that as much as it has on the baby, but we’ve discussed it a little.”

“Oh of course and there’s no rush, ya know. If you two want to wait another year or two, that’s fine.”

“Mhm, but I don’t think we will. We were kind of talking about maybe late fall sometime.”

The older woman arched a brow. “This year?”

“Yeah, he thinks their tour will be finished by September, so maybe October.” She couldn’t help the smile that graced her features at that thought.

“That’s not that far off.” Denise joined her at the counter. “Do you think you’ll be able to plan a wedding and have a baby in that amount of time?”

Brielle shrugged. “I dunno. We hadn’t set it in stone; we were just talking it over.” She paused. “Do you think it’s too soon?”

Her head tilted just a tad as she thought it over. “Well, no, but maybe a little. I just feel like that’s a lot to try and do. You’re gonna be adjusting to a baby and Alex will be out touring during half that time. I think it’s gonna be added stress on what’s stressful already. Wedding planning is not easy and neither is being a new mom.”

The blonde made a face; she hadn’t thought about all that to be honest. “Well, what do you think about March?”

Denise chuckled low. “I think that’d give you more time and less headache, but,” she reached and touched the younger woman’s arm, “it’s your and Alex’s decision. I don’t want you to think I’m trying to talk you into or out of something.”

“I know you’re not.” She smiled and reached to squeeze Denise’s hand. “I’ll talk to Alex about it though.”

“Talk to me about what?” The subject of their conversation questioned as he strolled into the room.

Denise turned to her son. “Are you eavesdropping on our conversation?”

He chuckled at that. “Hey, I was just coming into the room. Is it something I’m not supposed to hear?”

Brielle reached for his hand and pulled him closer as their fingers laced. “No, we were just discussing when would be a good time to get married.”

“Ooh,” he smoothed his free hand over her back and turned to his mother. “We were thinking about October.”

“That’s what Brielle had said.”

“Yeah, we don’t really want anything big; something small and intimate with close family and friends.”

His mother’s eyes widened some. “Oh really now? I always pictured your wedding with grandeur and flair.”

“Eh,” he gave a shrug, “we don’t really need any fanfare. We just want our closest family and friends there.” He smiled softly at his fiancée. “I told her I’d marry her in jeans and a tee in Vegas if it were up to me.”

Denise chuckled at that. “As long as I’m there, you could do that.”

“Aww, we wouldn’t deprive you of that, Mom.” He leaned and kissed her cheek.

“Of course not,” Brielle added. “And when it comes down to the actual wedding planning, we’d love for your help and input.”

That made her smile. “Oh gosh, I would love to help out. Though I do have a tendency to go overboard, so if I start, just reel me back in.”

Alex chuckled. “No worries there, we’ll let you know the minute that happens.”

Denise laughed low at that. “I’m sure you will.” Then she slipped from the stool. “I’m going to go see where my husband wandered off to. Let me know if you kids need anything.”

“We will, thank you,” Brielle thanked her before she exited the room and left the couple alone together. With a sigh, she turned back to her fiancé. “You look tired.”

“Mm,” he lifted the hair from her neck and kissed it softly, “I am. I’m sure you’re exhausted.”

Her head tilted for him. “I am, but Lily is only here until tomorrow. We have a lot to talk about and she brought some of her wedding stuff to show me.”

“Hm, well...” he drew the word out. “I suppose I could let you slide for one day. But tomorrow, you’re back to napping and resting.”

Brielle chuckled low then saluted him. “Yes, sir.”

He smirked and kissed her shoulder then smoothed a hand over her belly. “Alright, let’s go join them and maybe while you two girls catch up, Jordan and I can play some pool or something.”

“That sounds good to me.” She slid from the stool and stretched then took his hand in hers. “Though, I’m warning you now; Jordan’s a bit of a pool shark so don’t let him tell you otherwise.”

“Ooh, thanks for the heads up.”

She smiled and kissed his cheek. “You’re welcome. Now, c’mon.” Then she tugged him from the room in search of their friends.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10077