Slashed by evergreenwriter83
Summary:
Photobucket


A broken down bus. A trip through the woods. The attack. Nick Carter's recollection of that night is fuzzy, at best. But a year later, things start to happen. Troubling things. With every full moon, Nick must keep the creature at bay. But he's getting weaker...he's getting hungrier. And NO one is safe.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 26495 Read: 29065 Published: 12/21/10 Updated: 03/06/11
Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Five

I woke up the next morning with sand in my mouth. I hocked a huge loogie, but still little particles stuck to my tongue. I was naked; the sand scratched along my bare skin. I sat up shaking.

The first thing I did was slap my face. Smooth except for a slight five o'clock shadow. No snout or fangs. I glanced down; my arms and legs were bare. I reached around and ran my finger as close to my spine as possible. No bone protrusion.

Had it been a dream? A quick glance at my arms told me that I was being too optimistic. A couple angry claw marks ran from my elbow down to my wrist.

My hoodie was the only piece of clothing that wasn't in tatters. I swung it over my head. I slid my hand into the pocket; my cellphone was still there.

The events of last night were a mystery. The last thing I remembered was woofing down rotten meat. My only consolation was that the only blood on me was my own.

Tears sprang to my eyes; my pride had hit rock bottom. I stared at the display for several long minutes. With a loud exhale I made one call. There was only one person I trusted enough to come get me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"So you're trying to tell me," Bri said as I got dressed in my little rock fortress. "that we had to cancel the show last night because you sprouted hair and a snout and went all Kibbles and Bits on us?"

"I know it sounds insane," I said. "But...I think I turned into a dog."

Bri laughed. "Sure you didn't turn into the wolfman?"

I paused; my pants fell back around my ankles. "What makes you say that?"

"People were talking about one of the doctors in town going beserk yesterday. I guess he ran out of the hospital wielding a huge knife and talking about a wolfman."

I yanked up my jeans, zipped them, and swallowed hard. Bri stopped laughing.

"Nick?"

"I went to a doctor yesterday," I said. "And he did run after me with a knife."

The look on Bri's face was priceless. If I hadn't been one hundred percent serious, I would have taken a picture.

"That's not funny."

"I know! But, c'mon. You saw the hair you shaved off me..."

"Maybe you just have a vitamin deficiency," Bri rationalized.

"Lauren left me," I said bitterly.

"What?!"

"I hurt her Bri. I don't remember hurting her but there were bruises and--and--"

"Nick, do you need to go home?"

I sighed. I had never been the reason for a cancelled show. We only had two shows left. I could do it. I shook my head.

"No."

Bri didn't look so sure. I walked out to him, fully dressed.

"You look exhausted," he commented.

"I had a rough night," I said. "I don't remember most of it, but I'm pretty sure that's the truth."

"Maybe you can sleep on the flight."

"Maybe," I agreed. We walked in silence. We were nearing the hotel when I stopped.

"Bri?" My heart began to race. He stopped.

"Yeah?"

"Did you and Leighanne...did you two go out last night?"

Bri's forehead crinkled. "Yeah. Why?"

I thought back. The man and woman walking by me...the familiarity...the desire to tear them to shreads...

I felt physically ill. I had almost killed my best friend and his wife. My mouth opened, but I didn't even know how to begin to explain my panic.

"No reason," I said. Bri opened the lobby door for me and I walked in. We had just enough time to get our bags and meet the others at the airport.

I wanted to put this stop behind me; as far as I was concerned, it never happened. My plan was to complete the last two shows and then go home and beg Lauren for forgiveness.

And, for good measure, I was going to do one of those laser hair removals.

But that would be my little secret.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Steak. Rare," I whispered.

"It will be a half hour," the polite voice coming from the other end of the line said.

"That's fine. Thanks," I said.

I hung up the phone and glanced at myself in the mirror for the umpteenth time. The guys and I had just finished our last concert. I was back to normal except for a huge case of exhaustion and the sting of the painful scabs that had formed over the slashes on my arms.

The horrible scars on my chest were also back.

I thought back to what Bri had said. Wolfman. I was a big believer in the unknown. In my mind, Bigfoot existed and Area 51 was filled with aliens.

But could a human really become a wolf?

While I waited for my steak, I grabbed my cell. My laptop battery had completely died and I didn't want to get a new one until I got home. I had learned my lesson about blackmarket stuff the last time I bought a pair of blue Nikes. My feet had looked like twin blueberries for a month. My fingers flew over my small screen.

Wikipedia is an awesome thing. I know people say you can't take all the information for fact, but I've found it to be a pretty good go-to source. The entry on werewolves was extremely long. By the length of some of the words, it looked like a rocket scientist had contributed to the thread. I sank back in my pillows and began to read.

If I was hoping the information was going to make me feel better, I had been grossly mistaken. Teeny tiny little pictures of horrible transformations intermingled with a long history of werewolves. I kept coming back to one particular passage:

In Italy, France and Germany, it is said that a man can turn into a werewolf if he, on a certain Wednesday or Friday, is attacked in a dense forest and left to lay with the full moon shining directly on his face.

I glanced down at my chest. I had been attacked in Germany. I couldn't recall what day of the week it was, but suddenly I did seem to recall the huge moon overhead and the sensation of being dragged over the undergrowth.

"No," I whispered. I was reading the line once more when a loud knock sounded on the door. I screamed, then remembering my room service, I scrambled off my bed. I

The girl holding my tray looked nervous.

"Sorry," I said. "I forgot."

I gave the girl a generous tip and took the tray. She returned to her cart and hauled ass down the hall.

My track record with the opposite sex was failing rapidly.

I returned to the bed with my meal. Even with the lid on, I could smell the bloody beef. I glanced back at my phone one more time. I had gone as far as the side-effects:

After returning to their human forms, werewolves are usually documented as becoming weak, debilitated and undergoing painful nervous depression.

Was I weak? Yes. Was I depressed?

My finger poked the warm meat.

The jury was still out.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10396