Groupie by You
Summary:

The short story of a slightly neurotic girl and her encounter with Nick Carter.  


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 7762 Read: 22213 Published: 01/12/11 Updated: 01/31/11

1. Chapter 1 by You

2. Chapter 2 by You

3. Chapter 3 by You

4. Chapter 4 by You

5. Chapter 5 by You

6. Chapter 6 by You

7. Chapter 7 by You

8. Chapter 8 by You

9. Chapter 9 by You

10. Chapter 10 by You

11. Chapter 11 by You

12. Chapter 12 by You

13. Chapter 13 by You

14. Chapter 14 by You

15. Chapter 15 by You

Chapter 1 by You

Chapter 1

 

 

He lay there on the bed, smirking at me. That arrogant but oh so sexy smirk. I climbed up onto the bed and straddled him, our hips pressed against one another. I slipped off my shirt and he put his hands on my lower back. I bent over to kiss him. My hair fell all around my face; he pushed some of it away and said "Are you sure about this?" I sat back up. "Was I sure?" There were probably about a million reasons why I shouldn't do this, but for some reason, in that moment, I couldn't think of any of them. I just looked down at him, staring at me with those intensely blue eyes. "Hell yea I'm sure" I replied with a smile. He smiled back and sat up so that his lips could meet mine. Before I knew it he was on top of me. The weight of his body felt so good. "Yes," I thought to myself, "I've never been so sure of anything in my life.

 

 

 

Chapter 2 by You

Chapter 2

            I woke up. "Oh my god, where am I?" I thought as I shot up from the pillow. Sitting up is not good. My head feels like there's a vice on it. I lie back down. "Ok, I'm in a hotel room, aaaand there's a person beside me." I get up again, but much slower this time, to look over at him. I have to cover my mouth so I don't gasp out loud. I have to lie back down. It's Nick Carter, THE Nick Carter, the boy I planned to marry at age 13. "What the hell happened last night?" I try think, but my head is spinning. "The bar!!" Yes, I was at a bar last night. "Ooohhh no!" I remember a lot of drinking. "He must have come into the bar ... oh god!! I wonder what I did! This is SO embarrassing! I probably made a fool out of myself. But wait ... clearly we went home together. And from this state of undress I'm in I'm guessing we ... you know ... did it. So maybe I DIDN'T make a fool of myself." I relax for a second. And then it hits me. "No, I didn't make a fool of myself; I just made myself a GROUPIE!!! Oh god, how could this have happened? What was I THINKING?? Now I'll forever been known as some slut who he took home because he was bored or something. Easy ass who will go home with anyone who is famous. This is not good. No, this is not good at ALL." I'm suddenly finding it difficult to breathe. "Wait ... what if I leave before he wakes up? Maybe he won't remember me. Maybe I can sneak out and pray that he won't remember my name or my face and I can just pretend we've never met before. And then I'll avoid that whole awkward morning after situation too. It's perfect!"

I carefully slide off the bed and take a deep breath. "Ok, clothes ..." I spot my jeans on the ground. "Holy hell, these things we not invented to be put on again the next morning" I think as I'm hopping around trying to get them on. I spot my shirt on top of a lamp. "Oh that must have been attractive!" I throw it over my head. Ok, my purse. It's on the beside table. I take a look inside, "phone, keys, cash" I've got everything I need to make an escape. Except shoes. I spot one on the floor of the bathroom. I tip toe across the room and grab it. There's no sign of the other one. "It has to be around here somewhere." I search around the room as quietly as possible. No luck. "I can't leave with only one shoe!" Nick starts to rustle in the bed "Or can I?" I start to sneak towards the door. "Ugggh, I loved these shoes!" I take a look back at the room. "Ah ha!!" I spot it behind the television. It bangs against the wall as I pull it out. Nick moves again. "Shit! He can't wake up now!" He doesn't. I make a dash for the door and make sure it doesn't slam behind me. "I made it!"

I practically run down the hallway to the elevator and push the button. I didn't want anyone to see me doing my walk of shame. I was struggling to put my shoes on when I heard someone coming down the hall. "Well, I didn't expect to see you up so early." It was one Backstreet's bodyguards. I laughed "Yea, um, actually haven't slept yet" The elevator doors opened and I hopped in with one shoe still in my hand " Ooooh, and you're leaving so soon?" he said. "No, I uuhhh, I'm just going to get coffee." I tried to discreetly push the button to close the doors "God, that was stupid. Why did I say that? I should have just admitted I was leaving.  He wouldn't care." "Coffee? Why would you ..." but I didn't hear the rest of what he said because the elevator doors shut. I put my other shoe on, leaned against the wall and closed my eyes. "It's over."

As I walked across the lobby I could see that the sun was shining brightly outside. It hurt my eyes. "Damn, I wish I had sunglasses". I stepped out on to the street and jumped into the first cab that I saw. "Where to Miss?" the cabby asked. "Home" I replied.     

 

Chapter 3 by You

Chapter 3

             My phone rang. After having slept for a few more hours and showering I was feeling a lot better. I answered the phone, "Hello?" "What the HELL happened to you last night?" It was my friend Julia, we had gone to the bar together. "I didn't tell you I was leaving?" I asked. "No! Nick fucking Carter comes in, you guys obviously hit off because the next thing I know, you're both gone. I called you like 50 million times! Are you ok?" "Yea, I'm fine" I reply. "What happened?" Julia asked. "Uuhhh, it's kind of a long story, and I don't really remember all of it. I was hoping you could help me fill in some of the details." I said. "Well, I'm on my way over, and I'm bringing greasy Chinese. I figured you'd need it." she replied. "You are like my hero right now, do you know that?" I was starving. "Yea, yea!" Julia said "I'm expecting a lot of dirt in exchange! See you in 20." I hung up the phone and plopped down on the couch. 

 

Chapter 4 by You

Chapter 4

             "I can't believe it" Julia said "You're CRAZY!" I laughed. "I'm serious!" she said "You should have stuck around, see what he had to say, he seemed to like you." "Ya right! Now YOU'RE crazy." I tossed a pillow at her. "I'm a big girl, I can handle it, it was a one night thing, and that's fine. I just wanted to walk away with some dignity so that if by some miracle I ever run into him again his first thought is not ‘oh crap I had sex with her.'" "Dignity schmignity, I would have at least tried to make another ‘memory' this morning." Julia said as she wiggled her eyebrows. We were both laughing when my phone rang. I picked it up, "Hello?" "Where's my coffee?" said a male voice on the other end of the phone. "What?" I asked. "Where's my coffee?" he said again "You told Q you were going to get coffee HOURS ago. I'm just wondering when you're coming back?" "Who is this?" I asked, even though I had a pretty good idea who it was. But it couldn't be.  "Wow! You really know how to stroke a guy's ego don't you?" he laughed "First you run out on me and now you don't even remember my name!" "Is it him?" Julia mouthed to me. I pushed her away and began to pace around the room. "It's Nick" he said. "Oh, hey!" I said trying to sound as casual as possible "I thought it was you, but ... I kind of can't believe you're calling me. How did you get my number?" "You gave it to me last night, remember?" "Oh, I guess that makes sense" I replied "So, what's up?" I looked at Julia and made a confused/panicked face. "Not much" he said, "Just sitting here trying to mend my broken heart" he laughed. "Ha ha! I thought you'd be leaving tonight?" I inquired.  "Nope, not ‘till tomorrow morning. What are you up to?" I looked over a Julia again and she mouthed "Tell him to come over!!" while literally jumping up and down. "Uuhhh, nothing" I answered "I was just gonna have a kind of chill night at home." "Sounds good to me!" said Nick "What time should I come over?" "Uuuhhhh ..." I didn't know what to say. Nick Carter wanted to come over to my tiny little apartment, which was currently a mess, as was I. "You know you don't really have a choice in this right?" he said after several seconds of silence. "You see, you didn't really give me a chance to ask you to stay this morning, so I'm not giving you the chance to invite me over tonight. Now tell me how to get to your place or I'll just phone that crazy little friend of yours who was with you last night and ask her to tell me. She left at message at the hotel desk looking for you." "Ok ok" I finally answered and gave him the address. We were just about to hang up, and I knew it would sound stupid, but I had to ask. "Nick?" I said. "Yea?" he answered. "How do I know this is really you?" He laughed, "I swear it's me! Who else would know what went down between us last night?" "That's true" I replied. "See you in a bit" he said and we hung up.

            "Well???" Julia asked with her eyes bugging out of her head. "He's coming over" I said with a sigh. "Now, you know I love you but, you're gonna have to help me clean this place up and then get the hell out!" Julia laughed "You sure I can't just hide in the closet?" "Oh my god Jules, please don't even joke right now, I'm freaking out!" "Relax!" she said "You'll be fine. Let's start with these dishes ..." 

 

Chapter 5 by You

Chapter 5

             I stood in the bathroom, staring at myself in the mirror. I could hear Julia's voice inside my head "Just relax, I highly doubt there's anything you can do tonight that would be worse then last night ..." "Yea, that's helpful!" I thought. The buzzer for the door went off, I ran to answer it. "Hello?" "Hey it's your booty call" Nick said through the speaker. I laughed, partially because it was funny, but mostly because I was nervous. "Come on up" I replied and buzzed him in. I ran back to the bathroom to look at myself again. "I don't look casual enough. I'm supposed to look like I'm just lounging around while some how still looking gorgeous. As if that's possible. Maybe I should put my hair up ..." I started to put my hair into a ponytail, but it wasn't looking right. Then there was a knock on the door. I quickly pulled it out. "Down it is!"  I opened the door and there he stood, tall, blonde, and sexy, just like I remembered. "Hey!" I said, and as I stepped back to let him in I realized he was going for a hug. I tried to step back into it but we just kind of bumped into each other which caused a series of odd movements from the both of us trying to get out of the other one's way. When he finally made it through the door I turned to close it behind him. "Great! It's been 5 seconds and it's already awkward." I turned around to find him checking out the place. "It's cute" he said. "Ya, it's not bad" I replied "Probably not what you're used though." "You'd be surprised" he answered back. "So, what's in the bag?" I had just noticed that he had a plastic bag in his hand. "Ah," he said "I figured since we're ‘staying in' that we would watch a movie. Now, experience has taught me that girls never own any good movies." "Hey, hey hey!" I said indignantly "I resent that. I think you'll find I have a pretty decent selection." I pointed to shelf stacked with DVDs next to the television. Nick glanced it over. "Hmmm, well, it's not the worst collection I've ever seen. But still, not enough movies where things blow up." He reached into the bag. "Lucky for you, I had a couple of classics stashed in my luggage for the trip." He winked at me. "Lucky me" I said sarcastically and laughed. "Should I make us some popcorn?" Nick reached into the bag again "I also stopped at the corner store outside your building ..." He pulled out a package of liquorice. "Aaaaah, perfect! I'll just get us something to drink then." I went into the kitchen and grabbed two bottles of water out of the fridge. When I came back into the room Nick was settling in on the couch, I tossed a bottle of water at him and he caught it. "You're gonna LOVE this" he said. "Hmmm, Die Hard. You weren't kidding when you said classic were you?" I said as I took a seat on the opposite side of the couch. Nick looked over at me, "I don't bite you know." I moved a little closer. He opened the package of liquorice and offered it to me. I had to shift over even closer to grab one. He smiled a set the package down in between us. "So far so good" I thought as I bit into the piece of liquorice. 

 

Chapter 6 by You

Chapter 6

             The end credits were rolling on the movie. At some point, I'm not sure when, Nick had moved over so that he was right next to me. And about half an hour ago, he had fallen asleep. His head was now resting on my shoulder. I didn't know what to do. "I can't just get up because that will just jolt him awake, maybe if I sort of ... cradle his head with my hands, I can just guide him down onto the couch." I decided to shut off the television first. To my surprise, this woke Nick up. "Huh? Is it over?" He asked sleepily. "Yea," I answered "it was so exciting you fell asleep." "Well, that's just because I've seen it a million times" he said as he sat up and stretched. He was staring at me now. "What?" I asked "Do I have something in my teeth?" I started to check around with my tongue. "No, it's just ... you know ... it's pretty late for a young guy like me to be going home all alone." I didn't intend to burst out laughing the way I did, but it just came out. "So, what? You wanna stay here?" I asked sarcastically. "I thought you'd never ask!" he exclaimed happily and promptly got up off the couch and walked over to the bedroom. I sat there in shock for a few seconds before I darted over to the bedroom myself. I found Nick in my bed. "Ummm, what exactly do you think you're doing?" I asked. "What?" he said, smirk on his face "It's not like we haven't done it before." "Ooooh no," I said moving closer to the bed "You've got the wrong idea mister, I'm not the kinda girl who sleeps with a guy she just met, even if he is famous! And yes, I realize that I kind of already did that last night, but I wasn't exactly myself. Now I'm not saying I regret it or I didn't want to or anything, just that, well, it's not gonna be happening again any time soon." Nick just lay there for a few seconds and then said "Oh, so, when I said "it" you thought I meant "it it", I just meant we've already slept in the same bed together. Like literally slept. But hey, if that's where your mind goes, I'm not gonna stop you ..." I turned away, horrified and completely embarrassed. But before I could run off to hide under the bed, he got up, grabbed me, and pulled me down onto the bed with him, laughing the whole time. "I'm KIDDING!" he said gripping on to me with both arms so that I couldn't get away "But I swear, nothing is gonna happen here tonight except sleep. Unnnnless you change your mind, in which case, I'm totally willing to ..." He released me a little and I pushed him away playfully. "Pinkie swear we're just gonna sleep?" I asked, sticking my pinkie finger in his face. "I swear" he said, linking his pinkie with mine. "BUT, just so you know, if you make a move on me, I ain't gonna stop you." "Ha, that's not gonna happen" I said as I got up to turn off the light. "We'll see" he replied as I crawled back into bed.

            We lay there in silence for about twenty minutes and then I could tell by his breathing that he had fallen asleep again. I couldn't sleep, my heart was racing. "How can I sleep with Nick Carter lying beside me? I mean sure, we're acquainted now, but I can't be expected to be comfortable enough for THIS! We've just met!!" I turned over away from him and for a moment I thought I had woken him up. But then, without waking up, as if it were instinct, Nick rolled over as well. He wrapped one arm around my waist and pulled me in close to his body. I should have been even more nervous but for some reason, I wasn't. Surprisingly, my whole body just relaxed and I felt completely at ease. That night, I slept better then I had in a long time. 

 

Chapter 7 by You

Chapter 7

             I woke up the next morning and before I opened my eyes, I just lay there, still and quiet, wondering if it had all been a dream. "But it seemed so real." It was then that I realized I was alone in my bed. "Maybe it was a dream ..." I heard a noise coming from the bathroom. I got out of bed and walked into the hall. "Nope, definitely not a dream." There he was, brushing his teeth, in his boxers and the same t-shirt he had on last night. I wondered when he had taken his jeans off "it must have been during the night" I looked down and realized that I was still wearing my ‘casual but still cute outfit' of yoga pants and flowy tank top. "Hey you're awake!" he said mid-brush "I hope you don't mind, I found this toothbrush under the sink." "No, no, that's what it's there for," I replied "Go nuts!" He bent over to spit and I walked over to the mirror by the door. "My hair!!" It was a disaster. I quickly flattened it out and threw it up in a ponytail with the elastic I had around my wrist. I turned around and Nick was walking towards me. "Sooo ..." I said "Do you have to go or should I make us some coffee?" "I think I could stick around for coffee." He smiled.

            "I don't have much in the way of food" I said as I started to make the coffee, "but there's some cereal on top of the fridge." "That's cool" he said and pulled a box down. When I had finished making the coffee, I hopped up and sat on the counter across from him. He was leaning against the opposite counter, eating the cereal right out of the box. I looked at him, "He seems so comfortable, how does he do that? Is it just me? Is it weird that I'm not? Or maybe I'm just imagining things. Maybe that isn't a look of comfort. Maybe it's a look of boredom." "Can I ask you something?" Nick said, interrupting my thoughts. "Ok" I replied. He put the box of cereal down and moved closer to me, in between my legs that I had been absent-mindedly kicking. He grabbed a hold of them so I couldn't kick them anymore. "Why did you take off yesterday morning?" "Ummm, I dunno" I lied. I wasn't sure if I wanted him to know the truth or not. He looked at me, head kind of cocked to the side and said "Come on. Yes you do. Just tell me. How bad can it be?" "It's not bad" I answered "it's just ... I guess I was kind of embarrassed and I didn't want you to think I was some kind of groupie or something." Even though I was staring at the ground, I could tell Nick still had his eyes on me, as if he was staring right through me. "Well" he finally said "it's too late for that." He was laughing. I tried to kick him but he had a hold of my legs and he pulled himself closer, his hands now holding on to my thighs. "Listen" he said "I can kind of understand why you feel that way. But it's not like you were naked in my tour bus or something. We actually talked a lot that night and I get that it's not "normal" behaviour for you, but I think we both really just needed to be with someone. I promise I don't think any less of you. Believe it or not, I'm not really a love ‘em and leave ‘em kind of guy either. But if you had stuck around yesterday, you would already know that." I continued to stare at the ground, I didn't know what to say, I felt so stupid, he had been nothing but sweet to me this whole time and I was acting like a jerk, or at least like a crazy person. "I'm sorry" I eventually said "I tend to get caught up in my own head and I can get a little nuts sometimes." "A LITTLE nuts?" Nick replied with a laugh. I pushed him away playfully. "Oh ok" he said "that's how it's gonna be huh?" Then he picked up the box of cereal, took a piece out and threw it at me. I gave him my best "shocked/how dare you?" look and he responded by throwing yet another piece of cereal at me while trying to hide his smirk. I picked up a near by dish towel and smacked him with it. The next thing I knew handfuls of cereal were being thrown at me as I continued to try and smack Nick with the dish towel, giggling all the while. That was until I leaned too far off the counter. I felt myself starting to fall so I grabbed a hold of Nick and somehow, we both ended up on the kitchen floor. We lay there in shock for a few seconds, and then just burst into a fit of hysterical laughter.

            I was still trying to catch my breath from laughing when I noticed Nick had pulled himself right up beside me. He put his hand on my chin and leaned in. A phone started to ring. "Is that yours?" I asked. "Yea" he said with a sigh. He pushed himself up a little and kind of hung his head, but he didn't get up. Then he looked back at me. "Fuck it" he said "I'll call them back" and then he kissed me. 

 

Chapter 8 by You

Chapter 8

             We were kissing for what seemed like hours and seconds, all at the same time.  Then the phone rang again and Nick pulled away. "Aaaaaaaagh!" He sounded frustrated. "I think I have to get that." He got up and ran to the bedroom to answer it. I sat up but my legs felt a bit like Jello so I decided it would be best to just stay on the floor for a minute. I could hear Nick muttering on the phone in the other room. "Did that just really happen?" There were so many thoughts running through my mind that I couldn't really process them all. "What does this mean? What should I do? This was all so much easier when it was just one night. But what now? Does this mean he really does like me? Do I like him? Of course I like him, but do I REALLY like him? What are we? How can this work?" My head was spinning and I couldn't tell if it was because of all the questions or because of what just happened, but Nick was coming back out of the bedroom. I quickly stood up. "Well" he said buckling his belt "my manager just ripped me a new one, apparently I need to get back." "Oh," I responded "ok." I didn't want him to leave, "how can he leave now? When there are so many unknowns." He was putting on his shoes and so I walked over and opened the door. He moved over once his shoes were on and stood in front of me for a few seconds. Then he smiled, put his hand on the back of my neck, and kissed me again really quickly. "See ya later Groupie" he said, and then walked out the door.

            I shut the door and then leaned up against it. I shook my head in disbelief. "By far, the most interesting weekend of my LIFE!" I thought. 

 

Chapter 9 by You

Chapter 9

             The next few weeks went by uneventfully and outside of some flirtatious texting, Nick and I hadn't really spoken. I was starting to doubt that this was anything more then a hook up. "He probably has a girl like me in every city. I'm just another warm body that'll give him what he wants whenever he's in town."

            Then one day, I was on my way home and walking up to the doors of my building when my phone rang. I answered it. "Hello?" "Hey Groupie, what's up?" It was Nick. "Uhhh, not much, I'm just walking into my building" I said. "So does that mean you haven't checked your mail yet?" he asked. "My MAIL??" I wondered "We haven't talked in weeks and he's calling to ask about my mail?" "Not today" I answered "Why?" "I think you should" he replied. "And you want me to do this with you on the phone?" I asked. "Yup" he answered. "Alright, I'm walking up to the mailboxes now" I said. I had to fiddle with my keys a little bit before I could open the box. I pulled out the mail. "Ooook, junk, junk, bill, junk, bill, ooooh an express envelope with no return address label. Could this be from you?" "I dunno" Nick said "I guess you'll have to open it and find out." I opened the envelope, inside was a ticket for a return flight to LA for this weekend. I wasn't sure what I was expecting to find in the envelope, but it definitely wasn't that. "What is this?" I asked. "Did you open the envelope?" Nick said. "Yea, I opened it. It's a ticket to LA. I don't understand though. Is that where you are right now?" "It's where I'll be this weekend" he said "the boys and I are playing there and so I was thinking you could come out." "Come out annnddd??" I inquired. "I dunno, hang out" he said "I really wanna see you again." I couldn't believe it. "Wow" I said "I can't believe you did this. I'd love to come but ..." "Oh" he said sounded disappointed "You have other plans or something?" "No, no, it's not that, it's just ... I dunno ... I've never done this before. How do I find you once I get there? Where will I stay? What do I need to bring? I mean, it's already Wednesday ..." Nick started to laugh "You worry too much you know that? You'll stay with me of course; I have to return your hospitality from a few weeks ago. I'll send you the hotel info, you get there and I'll worry about the rest." "Ya but I have to ..." "Groupie! Don't think, just come! I gotta go. I'll see you on Saturday ok?" "Ok" I replied and hung up the phone. 

 

Chapter 10 by You

Chapter 10

             The elevator dinged and the doors opened. My heart was racing as I stepped into the hallway. I couldn't believe that I had flown to LA on a whim to just to "hang out". Especially with things be so uncertain between Nick and I. There in the hallway was that same bodyguard that had caught me during my great escape. He was on the phone but he smiled and waved and then pointed to his left. I smiled back and followed his direction, pulling my little wheelie bag behind me. I stopped in front of room 905. This was it. I took a deep breath and knocked. Nick answered the door looking just as gorgeous as I remembered. He smiled and pulled me into a hug. I was expecting it this time so there was no awkwardness. "You made it" he whispered in my ear. He smelled amazing and the sounds of his voice in my ear sent a shiver down my spine. We walked inside and he took my bag and threw it somewhere. I couldn't really focus. I'd been trying so hard not think, but ever since he released me from that hug there was one thing I couldn't STOP thinking about. That moment on my kitchen floor. I remembered exactly what it felt like and all I wanted in this moment was to feel that way again. "But how?" Then Nick's words rang in my head for about the millionth time, "don't think, just do." He was walking towards me, this was my chance. I shut off my brain, grabbed him, and kissed him. I pulled away. Nick looked shocked. "What have I done?!?" I thought, starting to panic. "Wow! Ummmm, what was that?" he said. "I dunno, I'm sorry!" I replied. "No, no, please, don't be sorry, nothing wrong with that. It's just ... I thought you wanted to take things slow?" "I do, I do! It's just ... I dunno ... I was thinking about the last time we were together, you know, right before you had to leave ... and then, you told me NOT to think ... and I just kind of freaked out." "Soooo, that was you NOT thinking?" he said. "I guess so" I answered. I hadn't noticed until just then that I had been backing away from him and he, as a result, had been moving closer to me. Now I had backed right into a wall and Nick walked right up and leaned into to me, he put his hands up on the wall and blocked me into to the spot with his arms. At this point there was no shutting off my brain, it was a blur with a million thoughts most which involved how increasingly hot it was becoming. I was praying my cheeks weren't too red with embarrassment. "Well," he said "if that was you not thinking then you clearly need to take my advice more often." I laughed, partially because it was funny, but partially because I was nervous. "And I think now might be a good time to start." he said, his face just inches from mine. "I dunno" I said, sure he could hear my heart pounding "I think I may have been right the first time, you know ..." He put his finger on my lips to stop me from talking. "You see, right there, you said "I think". The point is to stop thinking." he smirked. "But I can't" I said. "Really?" he replied "What if I do this ..." He leaned in even closer, pressing me right up against the wall, and kissed me. My mined went blank. When he stopped, I felt like I might melt into a puddle on the floor. "How about now?" he asked "Can you stop thinking now?" "Uh huh" I muttered. I wrapped my arms around his neck and we started kissing again. 

I never stopped to think again the rest of the weekend. 

 

Chapter 11 by You

Chapter 11

             From that point on time seemed to fly by. Over the course of the next few months Nick and I saw each other as often as possible, and even when we couldn't see each other, we talked constantly. I was happy and that made it a lot easier for me to stop over thinking things. Of course I never stopped completely but, that's just the charming old me. And even though I knew it wasn't possible, I wished that everything would just stay exactly the way it was. Well, everything except for the fact that Nick refused to stop calling me "Groupie", no matter how much I begged. Of course he only did because he knew it bothered me. But the tricky thing about relationships is they either progress, or they end, and ours was reaching that turning point.

 

Chapter 12 by You

Chapter 12

             Monday night. I had been busy all day so it wasn't until I was getting into bed that I realized I hadn't spoken to Nick all day. "Hmmmm," I thought "that's strange. Although, it's not like I called him either ... he must have been pretty busy too. Mondays suck." I decided not to worry and just get some sleep.

            Tuesday night. I still hadn't heard from him at all. I had called twice that day and he didn't answer either time. I was just about to call again when I got a text. It was from him. "Hey Groupie, I got your msgs. Sorry, I'm super busy. Will call you as soon as I get a chance." I answered back "It's ok. Don't worry about calling tonight. I'll just talk to you tomorrow." "I wonder what he's up to?" I thought as I lay my head down on the pillow.

            Wednesday night. I had decided it would be best not to bother him and just wait for him to call me. Whatever he was working on must have been really important. But I was about to go to sleep for the third night in a row without hearing from him and I was really starting to worry. I was going to remain calm though. I sent him a text "Hope everything is ok. I miss you."

            I woke up Thursday morning to a text from him. "Sorry Groupie, this project I'm working on is almost done. I'll call you tonight for sure." I stayed home all night and waited. He never called. I went to bed upset.

            By Friday at lunch time I had decided that I couldn't take it any longer and so I called him. This time he answered. "Hey you! What's up?" "Uhhh, not much" I said "just spent last night at home waiting for SOMEONE to call me." "A cute girl like you? I don't believe it" he said. "Ya well, believe it buddy." I replied "Seriously though, I haven't talked to you in four days. What's going on?" "Uhh, you know, I can't really talk about that right now" he answered. "What do you mean you can't talk about it right now? Why?" I was starting to really freak out. "It's just ... I don't ... can I call you back?" he sounded weird. "No, you can't. Just tell me what's going on!" "Listen, it's something I've been meaning to talk to you about for a while. I just ... I think it's a conversation that we need to have face to face. Can you be home tonight? Maybe we can video chat." "I dunno" I said "I have plans with Jules. I can cancel I suppose, but how do I know you're not gonna bail on me again?" "I won't! I promise! Please! Just be at home around 9 tonight I promise I'll call you. We really need to talk." "Alright" I said "Look, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." "For sure!" Nick replied, and we hung up. 

 

Chapter 13 by You

Chapter 13

             I spent the rest of the day going over and over the conversation in my head, and the more I thought about it, the more worried I became. "What is this ‘project' he's working on? Why couldn't he tell me about it? Maybe it's not that he couldn't but that he didn't WANT to. But why wouldn't he wanna tell me? What could he be working on that he wouldn't want me to know about? On the other hand, we haven't made any commitments, he doesn't owe me anything. Maybe that's it. Maybe all this time I've been right. Sure we've been having a great time together but who's to say he hasn't been having fun with someone else too? And that's why he couldn't tell me. Come to think of it, he never said my name that entire conversation, or even called me Groupie! That's gotta be what it is. He's met someone else and now he's gotta get rid of his ‘fun times' girl. And he's been with her these past few days and that's why he couldn't talk to me. I am such an idiot! ‘We really need to talk.' That never means anything good! He's definitely gonna end it. What am I gonna do?"

            By that night I had convinced my self that this theory I had come up with HAD to be true. That Nick was going to call me tonight and tell me he couldn't see me anymore. I had never felt so stupid. "I was basically his whore! Sure we had a few laughs in between, but that was just a bonus. I was too easy and now I'm of no use to him. I knew it!! How could I think that I would ever be anything more? I should have just stayed away like I had planned to do that morning. Then none of this would have happened and I would have been blissfully ignorant!" I was so full of anger and disappointment that when 9:00 rolled around and the phone rang, I almost didn't answer it. 

 

Chapter 14 by You

Chapter 14

             I finally picked up the phone. "Hello?" "Hey! For a minute there I thought you weren't going to answer" Nick said. "No, I'm here" I replied. "Soooo, should we try this video chat thing or what?" he said. "Ya, ok" I said, and we hung up.

            As I went over to my computer and started up the chat, the reality of what was about to happen hit me, and as much as I tried to fight it, tears started to well up in my eyes. I hated myself for crying. "Come on! This is stupid. I told myself I wasn't gonna do this. At least not in front of him. I need to maintain this one last shred of dignity that I have left. This wasn't even anything serious. I've gotta suck it up!" I could see Nick now at the other end of the video chat. I hadn't started my webcam yet so he couldn't see or hear me. For a moment I just watched him sitting there, waiting. He seemed calm for the most part, maybe a little impatient, but he definitely didn't seem distressed at all. "He's not sad. He doesn't even care. I can't do this! Not with him watching me." I wiped the tears from my eyes and typed a message to him "Sorry, I can't get my webcam to work, but I can see you. Can you just tell me whatever it is?" He sighed as he read the message. "I really wanted to have this conversation face to face" he said, looking into the camera. "I'm sorry" I typed back. "Ok, well, this isn't really the way I wanted to tell you this but ... I'm in town." I sat there in shock for a minute, I was really confused. "If he is in town then why couldn't we have just met to have this conversation? And why couldn't he tell me he was in town?" I finally typed back "What do you mean your in town? Where? How long have you been here?" "Not long" he replied "just for the past few days." I had gone from upset to furious. "This whole time he's been avoiding me not just over the phone, but in my own CITY! He's probably been gallivanting all over town with some other chick, and making me look like a complete JACKASS!!" I didn't know what to say when Nick finally said, "you know what ... can you just come meet me?" "Now?" I replied. "Yea" he said, "if you can. Can you come now?" "I guess" I typed back "Where are you?" "4165 Walker St." he said "I'm up in the penthouse." "Why aren't you at a hotel?" I asked. "Don't worry about that, it'll all make sense when you get here. Just come" he said. "Ok. I'll be there soon" I typed, and we closed the chat. 

 

Chapter 15 by You

Chapter 15

            When I arrived at the building I wasn't sure if I was more angry or confused. All I knew it that I just wanted to get up there and get this over with. I buzzed up to the penthouse. "Hello?" Nick said from the other end. "Hey, it's me" I said. "Come on up" he replied and unlocked the door. 

On long ride up the elevator I had a thought. "What if she lives here? What if this is HER place I'm going up to?" The doors slide open and I walked down the hallway. "If there's any chance this is a girl's place I will slap him right across the face." I knocked on the door and was just about to give him a piece of my mind, but I got distracted. When Nick opened the door, he was smiling. "So," he said "whatya think?" I just stood there shocked and confused. "Well, come inside!" he said. I walked in and started looking around for someone or something that could explain. "Are you here alone?" I asked. "Uhhh, yea" he responded "who else would be here?" "I dunno" I said "the person who LIVES here?" Nick started to laugh, "Groupie, I live here" he said. "You what?" I said. "I just bought this place! That's what I wanted to tell you." he said with excitement in his voice. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Why?" I asked, still not fully understanding. He laughed again, "Oh I dunno, there's this chick that lives here, I think she's pretty cool, and figured if I had a place here we could spend more time together."  "So that's what you've been doing all week?" I asked. "Yup" he replied smiling from ear to ear. I stood there stunned; I didn't know what to say. "Ummmm, I'm kinda waiting for some enthusiasm here kid." Nick said "What's wrong? Aren't you happy?" "No ... I mean ... yes, but ... you don't understand" I said "this whole time ... I thought you ..." I didn't want to say it. "You thought I what? Joined the circus? Was in involved in an international crime syndicate? Knocked my head off the sidewalk and got amnesia and forgot who you were?" "No" I said with embarrassment. Nick put his hand on top my head and started to mess up my hair "You have got to be the craziest girl I've ever met you know that?" I giggled and pushed him away. Then he said, "Look, I don't even care what that overactive imagination of yours came up with. It's not important. There's actually something else I wanted to tell you." He looked a lot more serious and my heart began to race again. "I wondered if ... because ... well ..." he seemed very nervous. "From now on whenever I have down time I'm gonna try to be here, at this place. And I'm hoping whenever I'll be here, you'll be here. And since you'll be here so much, and since your apartment kinda sucks, I was thinking maybe you could stay here all the time. You know like move in? Cuz moving your stuff back a forth doesn't make any sense, and no one'll be here when I'm not here so ... you might as well be." He said it all so fast that I didn't really have time to absorb what he was saying, all I could say was "wow." "I know, it seems fast, we haven't really been together that long so if you don't want to I ..." I put my hand over his mouth. "No," I said "it's not too fast. It's amazing." I moved my hand and he smiled. "I just can't believe you think my apartment sucks!" I said and pushed him down onto the oversized couch in the middle of the room. "We're definitely gonna need to move that." Nick grabbed my hand and pulled me down onto his lap and we kissed. In that moment, looking at him looking at me, I knew that we loved each other. And we didn't need to say it because it was almost too obvious to say out loud. We kissed again. "Hmm, maybe this couch isn't so bad exactly where it is.

 

 

End Notes:

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for all the reads and reviews. I'm in the process of writing a sequel to this story that I'll hopefully get to you soon! :) 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10439