Finally Trying by yorkielover88
Summary:

 

 

 

I made a mistake about fourteen years ago. My brother stepped in and helped me but now I regret it. I'm finally trying to make things right. I'm just worried that it might be too late. -Aaron C. Carter


Categories: Fanfiction > Music > Aaron Carter, Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick, Other
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Suspense
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 11847 Read: 15681 Published: 03/13/11 Updated: 10/08/11
Story Notes:

SOME BIRTH YEARS HAVE BEEN CHANGED FOR THIS STORY. BELOW IS A TABLE TO SHOW BIRTH YEARS AND AGES.

 

 

 

Name – birthday – age as of 2011

 

Howie – Aug. 22, 1969 - 42

 

Leigh - n/a - 41

 

James - n/a - 2

 

Brian – Feb. 20, 1971 - 40

 

Leighanne - n/a - 41

 

Baylee – n/a - 8

 

AJ –Jan. 9, 1972 – 39

 

Rochelle - n/a -33

 

Nick- Jan. 28, 1975 - 36

 

Aaron- Dec. 7, 1982 - 28

 

Ashleigh Brianne – Sept. 8, 1997 – 13

1. Chapter 1 by yorkielover88

2. Chapter 2 by yorkielover88

3. Chapter 3 by yorkielover88

4. Chapter 4 by yorkielover88

5. Chapter 5 by yorkielover88

6. Chapter 6 by yorkielover88

7. Chapter 7 by yorkielover88

8. Chapter 8 by yorkielover88

9. Chapter 9 by yorkielover88

Chapter 1 by yorkielover88

Feb. 9th 1997

 

Aaron’s knee bounced uncontrollably as he sat in his manager’s office. He fought the urge to chew on his bottom lip as his eyes stayed glued to the ugly painting on the wall in front of him. His mother who sat beside him looked just as nervous.

“He didn’t say what the problem was?” Jane asked looking even more concerned then Aaron.

“No mom. He just said we had a huge problem that needed dealt with immediately.” Aaron explained never moving his eyes or stopping his knee.

Jane sucked in a deep breath of air and in one quick huff let it out.

Suddenly the office door swung open and in walked a large man whom they had both seen many times before. “Thank you both for coming on such short notice.” He said moving in a hurry to sit down behind his desk.

“Short notice?” Jane quipped. “Try no notice.”

“Yes, well, let’s just cut to the chase shall we?” He asked not in the mood for Jane’s attitude.

Aaron sat up a bit straighter and nodded. He had no idea what could be wrong and that scared him.

“Aaron, you screwed up… big time.” He bluntly said.

“I… I did?” Aaron swallowed hard as a lump formed in his through. He could feel the palms of his hands begin to sweat.

“You’re birthday party, do you remember it?”

Now Aaron’s heart rate began to pick up. His mouth went dry and all he could do was nod.

“Aaron, you slept with a fan. Didn’t you?”

“Excuse me!” Jane no longer was nervously silent. In less than a second she had become angrily loud. “You had sex? You’re not even allowed to go past kissing!” Her face was flushed red with rage.

“I… I’m… sorry.” Aaron stuttered. He had hoped his mom wouldn’t find out about that. Now, not only did she know but his manager did too.

“Oh, that’s not even the best part.” His manager said with a voice was obviously filled to the brim with sarcasm.

“There’s more?” Jane’s voice asked even more angry looking at her son.

“Mom I…” Aaron wasn’t even sure what to say. He and the fan hadn’t done anything else. He was sure of it.

“Aaron,” His manager took a dramatic pause. “She’s pregnant.”

Jane froze while Aaron’s face drained of all color. He couldn’t have just said what he thought he did. Certainly he heard him wrong.  “Pr- Pr-“ He couldn’t get the words to come out of his mouth.

“Pregnant. Yes, we’re sure. We confirmed the doctor’s notice she brought in. She’s 8 weeks along and isn’t sure of what she is going to do yet.” He explained.

“I… She…” Jane couldn’t put her words together.

“She can’t… I can’t… I mean, I only just turned 14. It’ll destroy my career and everything I’ve worked for!” Aaron fought against the urge to cry. He didn’t wanna be a father. He wanted to be a singer.

“I’m sorry Aaron; it’s not your choice.”

“How do we know it’s for sure his?” Jane was finally able to talk; her voice soft. She couldn’t however bring herself to look at her son.

“The parents and the girl swear he was her only partner. Their willing to prove it any way possible and they have a lawyer on standby if needed. I doubt they are lying.” He explained.

“But she said she was virgin. Virgins can’t get pregnant.” Aaron argued.

“Yes they can Aaron. That’s only a myth.” His manager told him.

“My God…” Jane trailed off running a hand over her mouth. “What do we do now?” Jane asked.

“We offered them money to stay silent for the time being. They agreed so now we wait till they make a decision.” He simply replied folding his hands and placing them on his desk.

Jane opened her mouth to speak but was cut off when Aaron stood quickly, “While they make a decision? If I’m the… ya know… don’t I get a say? Can’t I… tell her she can’t have it?” He looked back and forth between his mother and manager.

“It doesn’t work like that Aaron. You have no say and even if you did I wouldn’t allow you to just throw away a human life. It’s morally wrong.” Jane still could not look at him but she did at least sound calm.

“Well, I don’t want a stupid kid. I’m just a kid myself!” Aaron yelled enraged.

“You should have thought about that before you…”

“I’ll handle this part of the conversation!” Jane cut him off sternly.

Aaron’s hands widely ran through his hair. He began to pace back and forth as he bit down on his tongue in hopes that it would force the tears to fade.

His life was ending and yet it had only just begun. He hoped that the girl would understand his career was more important than a baby and choose to flush it down the drain. He couldn’t bear the thought of not being able to sing because of some stupid mistake he made.

“Let’s go Aaron. We have a lot of talking to do.” Jane said gripping his shoulder rather hard.

“I’ll be in touch.” His manager assured.

“Thank you.” She almost spat and pushed her son from the room.

Chapter 2 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:


 

May 21st 1997

Aaron laid on his bed with tears streaming down his face. He had been crying non-stop ever since he had heard the news. The girl and her parents had finally chosen that they did not want the child. Unfortunately she was now nearly 5 and a half months along; much too far along for an abortion. 

One would figure Aaron would be happy she had chosen to give it up. However, because the girl was sure of the father, Aaron and his parents would have to agree to give it up for adoption. This is where the tears set it. Bob and Jane had made it very clear that they wouldn’t allow Aaron to give away his child if it came down to them getting a say.

So now in 3 and a half short months Aaron would be a father. He’d have a small infant child to care for all on his own due to his parents forcing him to keep it and the child’s mother not wanting it. Aaron didn’t see how it was fair that she could give away the baby and he couldn’t.  This kid was going to ruin everything.

Aaron ended up finally drifting off to a very restless slumber around 4 the next morning. His dreams were filled with nightmare images of screaming infants and zero concerts. Unable to stay asleep he ended up taking a Tylenol pm around 5:30 which knocked him out.

The next day around 11 Bob and Jane allowed Aaron to continue sleeping. He deserved sine rest after the night he had. Aaron’s older brother had been called a few hours earlier and was asked to come over. He knew about the pregnancy but they wanted to explain the more recent news to him in person. They also hoped he would be able to somehow comfort Aaron.

Upon arriving Bob and Jane sat with Nick and caught him up to speed. Nick’s heart hurt for his brother the moment his father told him that they weren’t allowing Aaron to give his child away to strangers forever.  He had spoken to Aaron before and knew the last thing Aaron wanted was to be a father. Nick loved Aaron very much and wished he could help him.

“It doesn’t seem fair. She shouldn’t get to give the baby up since you guys are making Aaron keep it.” Nick commented.

“I know. It just means we’re the bigger people though. We aren’t low enough to give away flesh and blood.” Jane replied.

“No, but you’re making Aaron do something he doesn’t want to.” Nick fought for his brother’s sake. He couldn’t help it.

“So you think we’re wrong for wanting to keep our grandchild with its real family?” Bob asked him.

Nick shook his head and sighed, “No, not at all. I agree that the baby shouldn’t be thrown away but…” Nick paused to collect his thoughts. “I just think that you guys should have to help him since you’re not giving him a choice.”

“Nick, we are going to help your brother.” Jane assured.

“You’re gonna get up with it at night? You’re gonna watch it enough that he can keep going on his music career? You’re gonna help him change diapers and clean up puke?” Nick argued know his parents had no intention of helping with the not so glamorous stuff and there was no way they would give up enough of their time to let him continue in his dreams.

“Well…” Jane trailed off.

“That’s what I thought. You’re giving him no out and no help. That’s the part of this that sucks the most.” Nick normally never spoke in a disrespectful manner to his parents but this time they were out of line.

“Well what do you propose we do Nick? You said you agreed it needed to stay with us but we don’t have time to help him enough so that he can keep singing. I mean we do have three other children Nickolas.” Bob fought back.

Nick stood and began to pace while the gears in his head began to turn.

Bob and Jane watched him until he abruptly stopped and turned to them, “I’ll take the baby.”

“What?” Bob asked as he and Jane’s eyes went wide.

“I’ll adopt the baby.” Nick repeated walking back over and sitting down.

“Nick you don’t know what you’re saying. You’re at the height of your career. You taking the baby would be worse on you then Aaron.” Jane argued.

“No, I’m an adult. Aaron’s not. I can hire a nanny or handler to help me when I’m doing music stuff. Tons of celebs do it.” Nick argued. He wasn’t sure where this idea came from but he knew he wanted to follow thru with it.

“No Nicky, it wouldn’t be fair to you. It’s not your child. You shouldn’t have to care for it.” Bob shook his head.

“I want to care for it. I love Aaron and I want to help him.” Nick stayed adamant.

“We won’t let you do this to yourself. It’s Aaron’s mistake. He needs to suffer the consequence.”

“Mom, we’re talking about a human life, not a baseball through a window.” Nick tried not to shout.

“He’s right Jane.” Bob finally agreed with Nick.

Nick nodded and licked his lips.

“Jane, we need to let Aaron decide. Nick is family. He’s willing to do this. Aaron should get to choose this if he really doesn’t want to parent this child.” Bob held Jane’s hand softly as he spoke.

Jane could only nod and agree. She knew Bob and Nick were right. Honestly, she was happy to know that she had raised Nick to be such a loving older brother.

“I’ll go wake him and talk to him now.” Nick softly stood.

His parents just nodded and hugged as he left the room.

Chapter 3 by yorkielover88

“AC?” Nick called out softly to his brother through the wooden door. He used a knuckle to tap on the door twice. When no response came he grasped the door knob and turned it. He let go of the handle and slowly pushed open the door.

“Aaron?” He softly called out seeing his brother lying on his stomach on the bed. As he approached he could see Aaron’s eyes were tear stained and his face looked as though he were in pain. Nick heart broke for him even more than it already was. He could only hope that what he came to say would ease his brother’s pain.

Gently he sat on the edge of the bed. He reached out and placed his hand on Aaron’s shoulder. “Aaron, wake up.” He said and patted him a little.

Aaron moaned some and his eyes blinked open a few times. “Nick?” He questioned groggy.

“Yeah, how ya hangin in there?” He asked.

Aaron rolled over a bit and sat up. All he could do was shake his head.

“Why don’t you get dressed and we’ll go somewhere and talk?” Nick smiled a bit.

“I can’t. I’m grounded… forever.” He mumbled.

“I’ve already spoken to mom and dad. Get dressed bub. I’ll be waiting for you in the kitchen.” Nick messed up his hair and left the room.

Aaron sighed deeply. He didn’t want to get up. He wanted to stay in bed and sulk. He knew Nick wanted to talk about this stupid mess he had gotten himself into and he just wasn’t up for it. He wasn’t ready to talk about it. In fact he wanted to forget all about it.

Slowly he forced himself out from the comfort of his bed. He pulled on the basketball shorts that laid on his floor from the day before. He then went to his closet and yanked a clean, oversized t-shirt down and slipped it on.

His eyes briefly caught himself in the small mirror that hung on the wall in his room. He looked like crap. He could only imagine how much worse he was gonna look sleep deprived due to a bratty kid screaming all night.

For a moment he felt a lump forming in back of his mouth and his bottom lip quiver. Quickly he shook his head; swallowed hard and bit down on his bottom lip. He shoved his feet into his athletic looking sandals and walked over to his bedroom door. Twisting the door handle he threw open the door not evening caring when it slammed into the wall.

“AC?” Nick questioned as he walked down the hall toward the kitchen.

“Can we please just get this over with?” He asked Nick as he brushed by his parents without even looking at them.

Nick gave his parents a concerned look and then quickly followed his younger brother out of the house.

“Yo Aaron?” Nick called looking around for him after stepping out of the front door.

“I’m right here.” He said rolling his eyes as he came into view.

“I was thinking we could walk over to the park. It’s just around the corner.” Nick told him.

Aaron simply replied with a “whatever”. Nick knew he had a lot on his mind and did not blame him for being in such a bad mood. He hoped he would be able to help him.

The two walked a crossed the lawn toward the street. Nick stopped to pick up a basketball in the front yard and then kept walking. He bounced the ball as they walked trying to figure out how to start the conversation.

“So, uh, how you been?” He finally asked.

“Dumb question.” Aaron grumbled.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Nick replied passing the ball through his legs.

“I talked to mom and dad a little.” He said as they turned the corner. The park was now in their view.

“You mean Robert and Jane?” Aaron’s voice was full of anger.

Nick sighed. He decided against scolding the younger blonde and kept on with their conversation. “They uh, they told me that she wasn’t going to keep the baby.”

The word ‘baby’ practically made Aaron cringe. “Did they also tell you what they told me?” He asked at they passed by the park sign and under the trees.

“Yeah, how do you feel about it all?” Nick shot the ball and watched as it swished through the hoop. It bounce over and hit Aaron gently in the chest. He never made any attempt to catch or go after the ball.

Nick sighed inwardly and went to chase after the ball. “Come on, sit.” Nick called taking a seat on a park bench.

Aaron slowly walked over and sat down. His legs split apart and his forearms resting on his thighs. “Nick, I hate all of this. I hate that girl. I hate mom and dad. I hate myself.” Aaron spoke softly but wouldn’t make eye contact with his brother.

“I don’t guess I understand. I mean, you hate the girl for getting pregnant. You hate mom and dad for telling you that you have to keep the baby but, why do you hate yourself?”

“For having sex. For getting off in her. For fucking up my entire life.” His voice elevated a little.

Nick nodded taking in what he had said. He rubbed a hand over his mouth as he looked at the few children playing on the playground. “So, you don’t want to keep the baby either?” Nick already knew the answer but he had to ask.

“Nick,” Aaron began with a slight shriek. He looked up at him making eye contact. “I’m only fourteen. I’m not ready to be a… ya know.” He paused to take a deep breath to try and keep the tears forming in his eyes from falling. “I can’t keep my career and this stupid kid. My music is my dream. This kid is…” Aaron searched for the right words. “… my mistake.”

The words seemed to hit Nick hard. So hard in fact he could almost feel them piercing his heart. It took him a moment before he could even speak. “So then, if you could give the baby up… you would?”

“Hell yeah. I can’t even take care of my own self half the time.” Again Aaron paused. He looked away from his brother and spoke, “It ain’t gonna happen though. Mom and dad want to keep family with family or some shit. Plus, mom was all like, ‘we aren’t going to stoop to their level of lowness.’ I mean…” He paused to run his hands wild and frustratedly through his hair. “It shouldn’t be up to them!”

Nick let the echo of Aaron last, loud statement fade before he very softly replied, “It’s up to you.” His eyes locked to the ground.

“It should be. You’re right.” Aaron complained.

“No Aaron, it is up to you. You have a choice.”

“What?” Aaron almost gasping turning to look at Nick.

Nick looked up and allowed his eyes to lock with Aaron’s, “You uh, you have a choice.” His voice was shaky and Aaron gave him a look that let him know he didn’t understand. “You can either keep the baby or uh, you can sign your rights over to, uh…” Nick had no idea why this suddenly was so hard. “…to me.”

“What?” He repeated. “You… you’ll… take the… but what about mom and dad?” Tears once again formed in Aaron’s eyes as the lump from earlier began to grow.

“I spoke to mom and dad. They’re willing to let you choose whether you want to parent the baby or not. If not I’m your only choice. “

“Oh my God, Nick, really? You’d take the baby?”

Nick could only nod as tears to formed in his eyes despite him trying to not allow it.

“But why? It isn’t you responsibility.”

“I want to see you succeed. I don’t wanna see you unhappy. I know you’re sorry for what you did and, I wanna bail you out. I love you Aaron.”

Tears now fell from Aaron’s eyes. This caused Nick to begin to cry also.

“I love you too Nicky. Thank you so much.” He threw his arms around Nick.

“Does that mean you’ll let me adopt the baby?” Nick asked stilling holding Aaron in a hug.

“Yes. How am I ever gonna repay you?”

Nick pulled away but stayed close and looked his brother square in the eye. “You’ll repay me by finishing school with good grades. You’ll continue on in your career and get a hundred times even more successful then you are now and you’ll promise me that you won’t have sex again until you’re atleast eighteen.”

Aaron nodded. “I promise. Thank you.”

Chapter 4 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:

Sept. 8th 1997

Sept. 8th 1997

“I just want to thank you both again for letting me be here.” Nick softly said standing near the hospital bed.

“Of course Nick. You’ll be the father, you deserve to be here.” The young girl’s mother said. Just then they all heard a knock on the door and a nurse entered the room.

“How you doing Kailyn?” She asked nearing the bed.

“Terrible, can’t I get this baby out of me yet?” She almost cried as Nick stepped back.

“That’s what I’m here to find out.” She gave her a warm smile.

In the dimly lit corner of the room sat a young boy watching everything unfold. He’d rather be out in the waiting room. No, scratch that. He’d rather be at home or off somewhere singing on a stage in front of tons of cute girls. Instead he was forced to sit and watch this girl he didn’t even really know go through labor.

As the nurse finished checking Kailyn’s cervix she announced to the room that Kailyn was finally ready to push. Kailyn was thrilled that all of this was almost over but Aaron was terrified. He knew from talks with his mother that the pushing part was the worst.

Not much later a team of nurses and a doctor gathered in the room. Kailyn’s mother stood by her right side helping hold one of her legs while Nick stood a few feet back watching in awe. Aaron however sat in his corner with horror spread a crossed his face as he watched the birth of… his child.

“That a girl Kail. The head is out. A few more pushes and this will all be over.” The doctor coached.

“Ah!” She screamed bearing down again. It was all young Aaron could do not to puke as the tiny, blood covered infant immerged. At this moment he knew keeping his promise to Nick to not have sex until he turned eighteen would be no problem for him.

“That’s it! Push Kail!” Her mom encouraged.

“One more time.” The doctor informed.

With one final push the newborn was completely free from the home it had known for the last nine month. “It’s a girl. Do you want her on your stomach?” The doctor asked over the baby’s crying as she suctioned out its nose and mouth.

“No, I don’t wanna see it.” Kail almost yelled squeezing her eyes shut.

Nick couldn’t help but let the tears that had formed in his eyes fall. Unlike the young girl and her mother however his tears were tears of joy. He had a girl; a daughter.

Aaron simply felt like he was going to puke.

“Anyone want to cut the cord?” The doctor asked.

“Nick, you do it.” Kailyn’s mom said unable to look at the child.

Nick used the bottom of his shirt to quickly wipe his eyes as he stepped forward and took the scissors in his hand.

“Get it out of here, please.” Kailyn cried a few moments later as the doctor passed the infant off to the nurse.

“Alright honey, stay strong, we’ll move her as soon as we can.” The nurse informed as the doctor worked to deliver the placenta. Aaron was now positive he never wanted to have sex ever again, at least not with any girls who could have kids.

A short while later the nurse was ready to move the baby out of the room. The nurse instructed Nick to follow and he in turn instructed Aaron to do the same. Once in the hall she explained that they were going to take the baby to get washed up. She told the boys that only one person could go with them and Aaron of instantly threw up his hands and told Nick he had no desire to stay with ‘the kid’.

Nick then followed the nurses and the baby off toward the nursery while Aaron made his way to waiting room. Upon entering the room he was instantly bombarded by questions. Aaron however had too much on his mind and too much of a sick feeling in his stomach to respond.

“Aaron, I know your brain in processing a lot right now but you could at least tell us if everything alright.” Jane seemed to demand.

“I think she’s fine. They said they was gonna clean her up. Nick went with her.” He softly replied but refused to make eye contact.

“She? It’s a girl?” Jane asked smiling.

Aaron only nodded as everyone began to celebrate. Nick’s best friend and band mate soon took a seat by Aaron. He placed a hang gently on his shoulder and said, “Congratulations Aaron.” Aaron shook his head ‘no’ and quickly stood up and moved away from the group of people.

He tried to make his mind stop replaying the image of the birth. The more he thought about it the sicker he grew. He wished his parents and Nick wouldn’t have made him be in the room.

He tried impossibly to sort all the new emotions as feelings and thoughts he was experiencing out in his head as he waited to see what was going to happen next.

A short while a nurse came in and told Aaron they were finished with the baby and Nick was requesting to see Aaron. Aaron did not want to go but of course Bob and Jane forced Aaron. Aaron silently followed her to the newborn nursery. As he entered he saw Nick sitting in a rocking chair holding a small baby who was wrapped in a white blanket and wearing a pink hat. He stopped a few feet away.

“Come here Aaron.” Nick softly encouraged.

Awkwardly he obeyed. He looked down at the child in Nick’s arms. It was obvious she was Carter.

“Wanna hold her?” Nick asked looking up at him.

“N- No. No way.” Aaron shook his head.

“Yeah, you need to. You need to make sure you wanna go through with this.” Nick said standing carefully.

“No, Nick please.” Aaron begged trying to cry.

“Yes, sit.” Nick instructed. He then watched as Aaron forced back more tears and sat down. Slowly Nick laid the baby in Aaron’s arms. He bent down to better assist Aaron who looked very uncomfortable. “Support her head. Yeah, like that.” Nick encouraged.

“Ok, yeah, I’m sure. Take her back now Nick. Please.” Aaron begged looking away from the baby.

“Relax Aaron.” Nick calmly said. “Like it or not Aaron. This is biologically your child and she always will be. Are you completely sure that you’re fine with not being her parent?”

Aaron nodded wanting desperately to wipe his moist eyes but being to fearful of dropping the baby to move. “Nicky, please just take her. I don’t wanna hold her. I don’t wanna be her parent. I don’t even want her to know I’m her real dad.”

Nick lifted the baby sleeping baby slowly from his arms and Aaron stood to let his brother sit. “You’re sure? You just want her to grow up thinking that I’m her real dad?”

Aaron nodded.

“Alright but I want you to help pick her first name.” Nick agreed.

“Nick…” Aaron began backing away.

“Aaron, please, give her something from you. Don’t be totally heartless.” Nick almost scolded him.

Aaron sighed, “Fine, A-S-H-L-E-I-G-H.”

“Ashleigh?” Nick questioned as a woman in a dress suit entered the room.

Aaron nodded and looked toward to woman who began to speak. “Aaron, I’m your caseworker. Kailyn finished her part of the paperwork. If you’re ready we can get you started on yours.” Aaron nodded, looked to Nick then left.

Chapter 5 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:

Sept. 22cd 1997

Sept. 22nd 1997

Nick sat relaxed back on his couch. The house was silent except for a ticking clock. On one of Nick’s knees a guitar was propped and the other was slightly bent with his foot resting on a pink bouncy seat. He used the one foot to bounce the seat slowly while he softly began to strum on his guitar.

As he played and bounced a small smiled formed on the face of the infant who lay in the bouncy seat. Her smile warmed his heart and made him smile also. She had his ‘Carter smile’ and thin lips. The little bit of blonde hair she had rested neatly on her head under the lacy purple band Nick had placed around her head.

As Nick played on her brown eyes began to grow heavy. They were the one and only thing that gave away who her real father was. Part of Nick feared it would tell her when she was older that he was not her father.

Jane had tried to reassure him that he could explain it away by telling her that her mother’s eyes were brown.  He knew she was right but couldn’t help the worry.

He knew how important it was to Aaron that she not know he was her father. He also had to admit that he was already attached and growing jealous. To him she was his child. In his world he was her real father. That’s how he wanted it.

Soon the music and bouncing was too much for her to fight and sleep fell over her. Her left arm rested up near her face and one leg was bent while the other laid straight. It was the same position Nick favored when sleeping.

She often slept this way just like him and this over joyed him. It was one of many little things she shared with him. Each thing, though small, meant the world to him. If she wasn’t his biological daughter she at least acted like it warm his heart even more.

Slowly he began to slow the bouncing until he was able to stop all together. He then began to quiet and slow his playing. As he struck the last cord it echoed through the home until it died leaving everything silent.

Nick looked down at his tiny little girl and smiled. Being a father had come to Nick much more naturally than anyone had expected. Bob and Jane of course were so proud of him.

Nick sat his guitar down and carefully stood then left the room. He entered the office and pulled out his cell phone. He was almost nervous about calling Aaron but he felt he really had to.

“What Nick?” Aaron’s voice sounded as though he were preoccupied by something.

“Hey I just wanted to talk to you about something. You have a second?”

“Depends,” He replied. “What’s it about?”

Nick took a deep breath knowing where this was going to go.

“I just wanted to talk to you about Ashleigh. I want her to have a God-father and I already know you don’t want to be it but I just thought maybe you’d wanna say in who it was. I wanted to offer you the opportunity anyway.” He explained.

“She’s just my niece Nick. Why would I give a fuck?” He sounded annoyed.

“Well cause she’s…”

“Just my niece!” Aaron sharply cut him off.

Nick swallowed hard. He had feared Aaron would take his thoughtfulness the wrong way.

“Well, uh… ok then. Sorry Aaron, I was just trying to consider you. I didn’t mean to upset you.” Nick sounded hurt.

“I know Nick but you already knew how I felt about her before you called. In the future just do whatever you want. Don’t ask me. If I get pissed, and I guarantee I won’t, then you can remind me that I said I want nothing to do with her.”

Nick nodded though he couldn’t see. “Right well, I gotta go. Bye Aaron. I love you.” He told him sadly.

“Yeah yeah, love ya too Bro.” Aaron said and hung up.

For a brief moment Nick hung his head. Ashleigh was his baby but deep down he wished her real father would at least pretend to care about her.

He coughed a little forcing a way the lump in his through and stood. He walked over to a photo hanging on the wall. In the photo Nick had an arm slung around another man. He nodded knowing in that moment that there was no one more fit for the role of Ashleigh’s God-father then him.

He dialed the man’s number and waited for him to pick up.

“This is Brian.” He enthusiastically said into the phone.

“Brian, hey, it’s Nick.” He replied sitting down in the computer chair.

“Hey buddy, what’s up?” Brian replied.

“I was just wondering if you were busy. I was thinking you could come over, visit with me and Ashleigh. Talk a bit.” He tried not to ramble as he often did.

“Sounds great; I was just watching some high school basketball game on a local TV station.”

Nick smiled, “Alright well, I’ll see you in a bit then.”

“Yeah, ok, bye.” Brian then hung up.

Nick sat for a moment longer then got up and began quietly picking up the baby things that had managed to get spread around the house. Thankful Ashleigh stayed asleep so he could do so.

When he finished he walked back into the living room and sat watching his daughter sleep peacefully. He loved to watch her. She made him so happy.

Suddenly the sound of Nick’s door bell ringing filled the air. Ashleigh jumped and burst into tears. Nick sighed but quickly went and opened the front door. He didn’t even respond to Brian. He just took off back toward where Ashleigh lay screaming.

Brian stepped into the house and closed the front door. He then followed the direction Nick had walked. He stopped when he saw Nick holding what looked like a tiny, purple velvet lump over his shoulder.

“Shh… Daddy is here. You’re alright.” He quitted her.

As her tears subsided Brian softly said, “Sorry about that.”

“It’s ok.” He told him lowering her into a cradle position.

She ever so softly smiled while looking toward the direction of his face.

“Brian is here.” Nick told her in a child-like tone.

Brian smiled and moved deeper into the room where Nick stood.

“She is so beautiful Nicky.” Brian told him.

“Thanks.” He proudly smiled and kept looking at her for a moment longer. “Here, I know you wanna hold her.” He suddenly grinned at him.

Brian just grinned back and carefully took the baby from his arms.

For a while they stood quiet looking at her. Her eyes tried hard to focus in on Brian’s face as her own looked confused.

“You look good holding a baby.” Nick told him.

Brian chuckled a bit, “Maybe one day I’ll have a baby of my own.”

“Maybe.” Nick nodded as Ashleigh began to fuss a little.

“Here dad.” Brian said giving her back to Nick.

“She’s probably hungry.” Nick explained and they both walked into the kitchen.

Brian stood and watched as Nick made her a bottle using only one hand. He was surprised to see that Nick did it with ease and without even making a mess.

“Done that a few times aint ya?” Brian asked as Nick placed the warm bottle into her mouth.

“About every two hours; two and a half at night.” Nick told him as he held her bottle in her mouth with his chin and put the can of formula back in the cabinet with his free hand.

“That’s gotta suck.”

Nick nodded, “No way AJ could handle it.”

“I’m surprised you can.”

Nick gently and playfully kicked Brian. He would have smacked his arm but his hands were full.

Brian laughed a little.

“Come on.” Nick said walking out to his screened in porch.

Brian followed and sat on a lounge chair as Nick did.

“So I uh, I wanna talk to you about something.” He Nick sounded nervous.

“Ok.” Brian nodded.

Nick took a deep breath and looked down at the tiny child in his arms sucking away at the bottle in her mouth.

“Brian, you’re my best friend. You love me and you love Ashleigh. I can trust you and so, I have a big question to ask.” He finally looked up at Brian.

“I won’t marry you.” Brian smiled.

Nick smiled but then looked serious, “Brian, I want you to be Ashleigh’s god-father.”

Brian took a quick deep breath, “Wow, Nicky, I… I’m…”

“It’s alright, I understand. It was too much to ask.” Nick hung his head.

“…Honored Nick. I was gonna say honored.” Brian smiled as Nick looked up at him happy. “I would love to be her god-father.”

“Really Bri, cause I mean the whole thing.” Nick explained and kissed his baby girl’s forehead.

“You’d want me to take her if anything happened to you?” Brian wanted to make sure he understood.

Nick nodded.

“Yeah Nicky, I promise to live up to the title. Help you take care of her. All that.” He stood and walked over to Nick.

“Thank you Brian. There’s no one better for the job.” Nick softly told him.

Brian smiled and bet down. He rubbed the back of two fingers over the hair on the infants head.

Nick too smiled and slowly placed the baby into Brian’s arms.

Brian carefully rose to his feet holding the baby and her bottle.

“She’s so beautiful.” Brian smiled looking at her.

“Thanks.” Nick proudly smiled.

Chapter 6 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:

Sept. 9th 2000

Sept. 9th 2000

“Ashleigh!” Nick yelled up the stairs to his daughter.

Quickly a small blonde child ran out of the play room and down the hall toward the stairs.

As Nick saw her he informed her, “Uncle Brian and Aunt Leighanne are here.”

“Yeah!” She cheered and began her descent down the stairs.

“Slow down.” Nick almost laughed.

When she reached the bottom she ran past him toward the front door and began trying to open in. When the doorbell rang and she couldn’t get the door open she shouted, “Daddy help!”

“Say please.” He told her.

“Please.” She smiled.

Nick reached for the door and opened it. As Brian and Leighanne came into view she cheered and jumped up and down excitedly.

“Ashleigh!” Brian gave her a big cheesy grin as he bent down and opened his arms to her.

“Untle Brian!” She squealed jumping into his arms.

He hugged her tightly and lifted her into the air as he stood.

Leighanne smiled at her new husband. They had only been married six days now.

“Thank you guys for cutting the honey moon short to be here.” Nick said moving aside to let them.

“I couldn’t miss my god-daughter’s 2cd birthday.” Brian winked at Nick.

“Hey! I’m tree!” Ashleigh complained. She left one arm around Brian’s neck but the other was placed on her tiny hip.

“Three?” He dramatically asked.

“Yes, I’m tree now. Right daddy?” She turned to him.

“Yep.” He smiled.

“Well goodness sake now I feel old.” Brian told the tiny girl in his Donald duck voice.

She laughed and he hugged her again then put her on the floor.

“She’s adorable Nicky. We wouldn’t miss her birthday for anything.” Leighanne told Nick and gave him a slight hug.

“Thanks.” He nodded.

“Aunt Wee-anne, did you pick out my birthday present or did Untle Brian?” Ashleigh asked looking up at her.

“I did.” She replied with a warm smile.

“O-tay good. You’s a better shopper then he is.”

Leighanne could not help but laugh. She had not had the honor of knowing the small child long but her heart had already been won over by her.

Not long longer Nick found himself surrounded by all his friends and most of his family.

Ashleigh sat on the lap of Nick’s father telling him some kind of story while his band mates, two sisters and Leighanne along with Kevin’s wife Kristen stood chatting. The house was covered in purple and yellow balloons and streamers. The kitchen counter help a large birthday cake shaped like a purple sparkly castle complete with yellow flags. Presents were piled on a coffee table and random music played softly on a stereo.

As the doorbell rang again Nick informed everyone, “That should be mom and the twins.” With that he moved toward the front door. As he opened it however he only saw his mom and Angel.

Forcing a smile he hugged Angel then his mom as his baby sister walked away. “Where is he?”

“On his way.” She assured him.

“He better be. He missed both her other birthdays. She’s old enough now she’ll notice.” Nick replied.

“I know son. The whole thing still makes him uncomfortable though.” With that she walked away.

Nick was about to close the front door as he saw Aaron’s red mustang pull in. He stepped outside and closed the door as he heard his daughter’s voice cheering over his mom and sister’s arrival.

“Hey bub.” Nick casually called out to him.

“Nick.” He replied just as casually not walking toward him.

“I was afraid you weren’t gonna come again.” Nick said.

“I thought about it.” Aaron never made eye contact.

“Well, I’m glad you’re here. Ashleigh will be too.”

Aaron uncomfortably nodded and looked back at his car. He didn’t want to be here.

“Just stay Aaron. She doesn’t know or understand why you don’t wanna be around her. This morning she asked specifically about you. If you were coming. When I said yes and asked why she wanted to know she told me cause you didn’t like her very much.”

“I don’t like her Nick. She shouldn’t even be here.” Aaron rolled his eyes.

“Aaron…” Nick began but cut him off.

“Don’t Nick! I’m here. Now leave me alone so I can get this over with.” He huffed and pushed past him toward the house.

Nick took a slow deep breath and followed him. He wasn’t trying to cause drama. He just wanted his little girl to have a good birthday. He knew deep down she hurt from Aaron’s not liking her. He just hoped at least for today Aaron would fake it so she could be happy.

As he entered the house and walked into the living room he watched his daughter leave the arms of Angel and walk slowly toward Aaron.

“You came.” He heard her almost whisper with a big smile.

“Yeah, I did.” He said. He then patted her head and moved past her toward his dad.

“I proud of you.” Bob softly told him.

Aaron just nodded.

“Ashleigh, baby, why don’t you invite everyone into the kitchen to eat. When everyone is done we can do your presents.” Nick wanted to get the party moving. He could see everyone’s eyes looking awkwardly at Aaron. No doubt they were all surprised by him being there.

“Hurry everyone! We gotta eat fast so I can open presents!” Ashleigh seemed to scream and grabbed Nick’s hand. Quickly she pulled him off toward the kitchen as everyone laughed.

When everyone was done eating they all made their way into the living room. Nick made Ashleigh wash up then they too joined everyone.

“Presents now right daddy?” She asked.

“Yes, sit over there so everyone can see you.” He told her.

She did as he instructed. Brian helped him moved the table toward her. Nick then got his camera and Brian helped her begin opening gifts.

As he gave her the first one she tore into the card envelope. She didn’t even try to read it though. She looked for money and gave it Brian when nothing was found.

Many of the adults laughed a bit as Brian read, “Happy Birthday to a girl who’s three. Maybe today be as happy as happy can be. Love you lots, Uncle Howie.”

As Brian finished reading she ripped the pink and purple flowered paper apart. “Daddy look!” She cheered. “It’s the pink doctor kit I wanted!” She held it up and he snapped a photo. “Thank you Untle Howie.” She smiled.

“You’re welcome sweetie.” He replied.

“Next.” She told Brian putting the gift in the lap of Angel who sat on the couch beside her.

“This one doesn’t have a card so that must mean it’s from Uncle AJ.” Brian said giving her another one.

“What? She can’t read so I didn’t get her one.” He explained as Howie and a few others looked at him teasingly judgmental.

“I can read my name.” Ashleigh informed her then tore open the pink paper. She struggled to open the plain white box but couldn’t due to a piece of tape.

Angel helped her remove it then let her open the box. She didn’t say anything but a smiled smeared over her face.

“What is it baby?” Nick asked.

Ashleigh then pulled a small, purple leather jacket from the box.

“You’re kidding right?” Brian asked him.

“Where did you find that?” Kevin added.

Nick snapped a picture of her with it then turned to AJ, “A purple leather jacket?”

“What, a girl’s gotta look good.”

“I love it!” Ashleigh grinned. “Thank you Untle AJ!”

“See, she loved it. You’re welcome Ash.” AJ proudly smiled.

The next gift was from Kevin and Kristen. They got her a talking baby doll that she flipped over. Next was Bob and Jane’s gift. They got her some clothes and money. Ashleigh really only cared about the money. After that was BJ’s. She got her a purple shiny wallet and had to point out the money inside which sold Ashleigh on gift. Leslie’s was next. Leslie also got her a baby doll. Ashleigh excitedly informed everyone that now she could play baby doll twins. Brian and Leighanne’s was after that. Ashleigh was thrilled to see they had gotten her a purple and yellow purse filled with fifty dollars all in ones. She told them both thanks for making her rich. Second to last was Angel’s. Her gift was a certificate to go with Angel to get her finger and toe nails painted any color she wanted.

Last but not least it was time for Nick’s gift. “Aaron, wanna help me?” Nick called to the blond teen who had been quietly standing in the corner.

He rolled his eyes but agreed to help.

Together they got her gift from the closet and brought it into the living room.

When Ashleigh saw it she screamed and then jumped off the couch. “Daddy, it’s the toy kitchen I wanted! The one with the baby high chair!” She yelled and hugged him.

“I know!” Nick hugged her back.

They adults let her play with the gifts for a while then closed the party with her cake. They sang to her and she blew out the candles.

“Make sure everyone got a piece.” Nick told his daughter a few moments later.

“O-tay.” She said and ran around the kitchen checking everyone for a plate with birthday cake. That’s when she spotted Aaron without one.

“Untle A-won?” She asked him as he sat in the far corner.

“What?” He asked her.

“Did you want birthday cake?” She asked him happily.

“Nah.” He told her.

“O-tay.” She nodded and skipped away.

The party finished with Ashleigh and Nick thanking everyone for coming. As Aaron left Ashleigh hugged his legged. He looked at her uncomfortably. Nick told him he was sorry. Aaron nodded and left. Brian and Leighanne then helped clean up and said their good byes too.

The day had gone great. Ashleigh couldn’t have been happier with how it all went and for that Nick was grateful. He loved her and only wanted joy and happiness for her.

Chapter 7 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:

November 10th 2003

November 10th 2003

“Hello?” Aaron answered his cell.

“Aaron, it’s Nick.”

“I know.” He rolled his eyes and sighed a little.

“I need a huge favor.” Nick sounded really desperate.

Aaron took a deep breath. He could only imagine what Nick needed from him. “What?” He asked.

“I’m at the studio with the guys. They just gave me a message that Ashleigh’s school called. Said I need to come get her.” Nick held his breath.

“So go get her.” He huffed in response.

“Aaron, I’m at the studio. You know I can’t leave unless it’s a big emergency and her school made it clear that it wasn’t an emergency. She just needs me.” Nick explained. He knew he was asking a lot.

“Can’t Brian get her? He’s her god-father. Oh or Leighanne, didn’t you ask her to be the official god-mother at her birthday party?” Aaron clearly did not wanna help.

“Brian is here too and Leighanne is with Baylee who is sick. God AC please! I’ve never once asked you to help me with her before.” Nick begged. His huge avoidance of her was getting old. He was 21 now for crying out loud.

“Fine Nicky but you owe me!” Aaron then hung up on him.

Nick was grateful but still worried. If she was upset and wanting him badly enough that the school needed to call him it could be a bit overly stressful for Aaron. If Aaron was stressed he could turn mean… well, meaner than normal.

Aaron quickly got out of the sweats pants he had been lounging around his apartment in. He was in the middle of a big break from music. He pulled on some jeans and a casual polo and headed off toward Ashleigh’s school.

When he arrived he parked his car and entered the school. It took him a while to locate the office. It was a pretty big campus for elementary school.

When he found the office he entered and went up to the desk.

“Can I help you?” The woman asked him.

Aaron rolled his eyes. Wasn’t it obvious? “I’m here for Ashleigh Carter.”

“Oh of course.”

Again Aaron’s eyes rolled.

“She is in Ms. Amberly’s class. Take this hall all the way down and turn left. The name will be on the door.” The lady told him.

With that Aaron walked away.

Once he found the room he took a rather deep breath and went in.

Instantly he heard Ashleigh crying. He looked around the room and spotted her on the floor in the back corner of the room. Her face was in her hands and she was sobbing uncontrollably.

Suddenly he felt something he never had before. Heart ache. His heart never once had ached for her before.

“I take it Nick couldn’t get away from work?” Her teacher asked him.

“No, I’m her uncle.” He told her pointed toward Ashleigh.

Ms. Amberly smiled, “I kinda know.”

Aaron smiled back.

“She had an accident and has been crying ever since.” She then explained.

“An accident?” Aaron asked confused.

“Oh uh, she didn’t exactly make it to the bathroom in time. We had a pair of jeans in the office we put her in but had to tie them up cause they were too big. That seemed to make things worse.”

Aaron nodded. This strange piece of him was having trouble hearing her cry. He slowly walked over to her. “Ashleigh?” He softly questioned.

She sniffled and looked up at him looking totally shocked by his being there. “Uncle Aaron?” She questioned with tears filling her eyes.

He bent down to her still feeling the strange ache, “You’re daddy couldn’t get away from the studio. Brian couldn’t either so I came to get you.” He explained.

Suddenly Ashleigh fell forward bursting into tears again.

Aaron looked terrified as she fell against his chest. He had no idea what to do. Honestly his first reaction was to push her away but he knew he couldn’t. “Uh, why don’t we get outta here?” He asked her.

“Please.” She nodded and sobbed.

“Gotta get up then.” He told her.

She nodded and stood slowly. The jeans looked terrible on her. Aaron couldn’t blame her for hating them.

He then stood and collected her wet things that had been put in a bag.

“Are you gonna take me home?” She asked as they walked down the hall. More tears rolled down her face.

“Yeah.” He replied.

They walked outside and he helped her into his car.

On the way home she softly cried still.

Aaron couldn’t take much more. “Ashleigh, why are you crying?”

“Cause accidents are bad.” She told him.

“What do you mean?” He asked as they drove.

“Only babies pee their pants. I’m posta be a big girl.” She cried.

Aaron nodded understanding.

“Daddy will be really mad.” She added.

Suddenly Aaron understood the tears. She was afraid of Nick’s reaction. Strangely enough, he felt bad for her. He wasn’t sure why but he did.

He sighed inwardly as they pulled in Nick’s drive.

“How are you so sure daddy will be mad at you?” Aaron asked as they walked into the house.

“Cause he got mad last time. He said he wasn’t but I know he was.” She told him sniffling.

“Well tell you want. Let’s not tell him.”

She looked at him in shock. “Really?”

“Yeah, but only if it means you’ll stop crying.” That was the main reason he agreed to it. The crying was affecting him and he did not like it one bit.

“Deal. Can I change out of these now?” She pointed to the pants.

“Yeah, I’ll hurry and wash these. You can put em back on before your daddy comes home so he won’t know. We’ll tell him someone called you a bad word and that’s why school called.”

Ashleigh nodded and took off to her room.

Not long later Aaron found himself sitting on Nick’s couch watching tv. Ashleigh was back in her clothes from school that where now clean. She had asked if she could watch tv with Aaron but he told her she’d be better off playing up stairs.

He’d had more than his fill of her. He just wanted to get away from her. She made him feel things that he didn’t like and she cause him to remember times in his life that he’d rather forget.

Soon Aaron heard his brother coming in the house. “Thank God.” He said.

“Aaron?” Nick questioned coming through the house.

“Yep, I’m here. She’s up there and now I’m leaving.” Aaron stood.

“Wait, what happened? Why did they call?” Nick asked him while holding up his hands to block the exit.

“Some kid called her an ugly poop head. Teach said she started crying for you and they couldn’t calm her down.” Aaron lied as he told Ashleigh he would.

Nick ran a hand over his mouth. He felt terrible for his daughter. At times she really could be a little too sensitive.

“Daddy!” They both heard her shout before either could say another word.

“Ashleigh, sweetie, I’m so sorry I couldn’t come get you.” Nick told her pulling her into his arms.

“It’s ok daddy. Uncle Aaron said that Danny was wrong and I’m a cute and smart girl.” Ashleigh had heard what Aaron said before making her presence known. She followed along with the story but had no idea what kinda words she was putting into Aaron’s mouth.

“He did?” Nick’s voice was full of disbelief as his eyes traveled to Aaron.

“Yep.” She grinned.

“Uh… wow. Yeah…” Nick was a bit taken back. “Well uh, he’s right. Don’t listen to people like that.”

She nodded and Nick stood still holding her hand. He looked at Aaron who was now desperate to leave and get away from the young girl.

“Thanks for your help Aaron.” Nick told him.

“Whatever.” He shook his head and pushed past him.

He quickly walked out of the house and toward his car but before he could get in Ashleigh ran from the house toward him.

“Uncle Aaron!” She called running up to him.

Nick stood in the door way and watch confused. He couldn’t hear anything but he could see them clearly.

“What?” Aaron rolled his eyes as he paused. His door was open but he just stood by the car.

“Thank you for not telling him what really happened.” She smiled and began to move closer with her arms open wide.

“Don’t!” He almost yelled holding his hands up to keep her away.

She suddenly looked scared.

Nick took a few steps toward them as Aaron quickly got in his car.

Tears filled her eyes in confusion as he quickly started the car and speed away.

Nick ran to her and pulled her into his arms. “It’s ok baby. Uncle Aaron has some issues. He didn’t mean to upset you.”

Chapter 8 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:

March 1st 2007

March 1st 2007

Aaron walked around a high end clothing store with his twin sister. She had just finished trying on two tops.

“So, should I get the pink or the blue?” She asked him looking at the two shirts.

“I like the blue one on you. It looks good with your eyes.” He told her.

“Yeah, I know but, this pink one is so flirty and fun.” She eyed it.

“So get the pink.” He rolled his eyes and laughed at her.

She looked between the two tops once more. “Actually, I think I’ll get both.” She grinned.

Aaron laughed at her a little more and walked with her to pay. As they finished and left the store her cell phone alarm began to go off.

“What’s up?” Aaron questioned.

“Oh, I put a reminder on my phone of when to go pick up Ashleigh from that birthday party.” She explained as they walked toward her car.

“Why are you getting her?” Aaron asked puzzled.

“The boys had a radio thing this afternoon and Leighanne is outta town doing Wylee stuff. He said he was too afraid to ask you and didn’t know who else to turn to. He didn’t wanna tell her she couldn’t go.” Angel explained as they got in the car.

Aaron at first said nothing as they begin to drive but soon he asked, “You are taking me to my apartment first right?” He sounded worried.

“No, I’m not done hanging out with you. There is no reason you can’t be around her long enough for me to take her to Nick at the radio station.”

Aaron rolled his eyes.

“What is with you? She is nine now. That means everything happened nine years ago. It’s time to get over everything and be a normal Uncle for her.” Angel scolded.

Aaron ran his hand over the tattoo of an Angel he had on his other arm. He always did when he was feeling stressed. He had gotten the tattoo for his twin whom he loved. Something about it relaxed him even when it was her who had him stressed. “I’m not a normal Uncle Angie. I never will be.” Aaron spoke.

“But she doesn’t know that. All she knows is that Nick is her father and you are her uncle and for a reason beyond her knowledge, you hate her.” Angel went on.

“I don’t hate her.” He rolled his eyes and looked out the window.

“She thinks you do.” Angel took her eyes off the road just long enough to glance at him.

“No she doesn’t.”

“Oh really? They why did she ask me two weekends ago why you hated her?” Angel’s voice raised.

“I don’t hate her.” He softly repeated then added even softer, “I just hate where she came from. What she almost took away from me.”

“What’s that Aaron? You’re music career? Yeah, I see what you mean. You’re just so famous right now without her being any part of you.” Angel huffed as they pulled onto the street where Ashleigh was.

Aaron hadn’t performed since he was nineteen. He was now twenty five.

“Angel…” He began but she cut him off.

“What is she doing out side?” Angel asked seeing her sitting on the curb from a distance still.

Aaron looked up toward her. Instantly he knew she was upset. “Stop the car.” He said having no idea why. Something had come over him.

Angel, confused, stop the car. Aaron jumped out and ran toward her. “Ash!” He called out.

She looked up at him. Her face was red and puffy. It looked like she had been crying a while.

“She said her mom made her invite me. She called me nasty things and said she was gonna tell everyone at school that I throw up after I eat.” She sobbed hard.

Aaron pulled her into his arms. He wasn’t even thinking clearly. Had he been he wouldn’t have been anywhere near her. “Ashleigh, stop crying. None of that is true. I’m gonna take care of this.” Aaron stood and ran toward the door of the house as Angel neared Ashleigh.

The girls watch Aaron as he beat on the door. When it opened he looked enraged as he spoke to the mother of the girl. The mother looked shocked and yelled out. Soon the girl came into view and the mother seemed to be scolding her. Aaron then followed suit and pointed toward Ashleigh. The mother did also.

The girl rolled her eyes and walked toward Ashleigh with Aaron and her mom close behind.

“Ashleigh?” She questioned.

Ashleigh and Angel stood. Angel kept her arm around her niece.

“What?” Ashleigh tried not to cry.

“I’m sorry I called you those bad thing and I won’t lie and tell everyone at school that you throw up after you eat.” She didn’t sound very sincere.

Ashleigh nodded but wouldn’t say anything.

“No one speaks to her like that and I promise I’ll cause you big problems if you do decide to open your mouth at school.” Aaron warned her angry.

“Agreed.” The mother told her. “Ashleigh, hun, I’m so sorry. I wish you would have told me. I promise I’ll do all that I can to keep her from giving you any more trouble.” The mother added.

Ashleigh just nodded.

With that the three Carter’s left.

“Ashleigh, hun, why does that girl not like you so much?” Angel asked as they drove away.

“I don’t know. It’s probably cause she jealous of me. Her room is covered in pictures of dad and Uncle AJ.” She explained.

“Girls can be so stupid.” Aaron shook his head. “You stay away from girls like that.”

“I will. Thank you for standing up for me.” Ashleigh told him.

“Yeah Aaron, that was awesome.” Angel rubbed his knee.

Aaron nodded, “No one gives my family shit.” He simply said.

The rest of the ride was pretty quiet for the most part.

“Ok, let’s go in and find your dad.” Angel said as they pulled up to the radio station.

Ashleigh nodded and they started to get out. “Aren’t you coming Uncle Aaron?” Ashleigh asked him.

He just shook his head and looked away from her out the window.

She sighed deeply and followed Angel inside.

As they entered the building Ashleigh stopped, “Aunt Angel?”

“Yeah hun?”

“I don’t wanna tell dad.”

“Tell dad what?” Brian’s voice was heard.

Ashleigh tried to put on a bright smile for him, “Uncle Brian!”

“Ashleigh, nice try, what happened?” He mocked her fake enthusiasm.

Ashleigh sighed, “At the party, the girl whose birthday it was said a lot of really mean things to me.”

“Please tell me you told her mom.” Brian looked upset.

“Aaron did.” Angel jumped in.

“Aaron did?” He questioned surprised.

“Yeah, then he got all strange again.” She shook her head.

Brian sighed. He could see she was trying not to come a crossed as hurt.

“Well, I gotta go. Brian, you mind?” She pointed to Ashleigh.

“Course not. Come on baby girl.” Brian smiled and walked away with Asleigh to find Nick.

Angel then headed back out to the car to find that Aaron was crying.

“AC?” She questioned worried.

“Why couldn’t they just let me give her up?” He sobbed.

“Aaron!” Angel seemed worried.

“She almost ruined my life Angel. She almost took away the one thing I love most. Who gives a shit if I’m taking an extended break? I didn’t want her then and I don’t want her now.” Aaron had anger in his voice.

“That’s nothing new. What’s the problem now?” Angel felt lost. She wasn’t sure how to help her twin.

Aaron rubbed his tattoo, “The problem is, I love her.”

“That’s a problem?”

“Yeah! Cause I don’t wanna love her!” Aaron yelled then burst into tears. “I’m so confused Angie. I promised myself I’d never want her… I’d never love her and yet, now I do.”

“Oh bub…” She said and pulled him into a hug.

Chapter 9 by yorkielover88
Author's Notes:

Aug. 19th 2010

 

Aug. 19th 2010

Uncomfortably Nick rolled around in his bed. His mind played over the phone call he had gotten a few days before.

“I’m ready to sing again.”

“That’s great Aaron. I’m proud of you.” Nick had told him.

He tossed again as he laid thinking more about the call.

“I need your help though Nick. I spent all my money making this damn album so I can’t afford a hotel while I’m in LA for this show.”

Nick was taken back, “You wanna stay here, like, here in my house with… her.”

His heart began to beat a little faster as the even played out more.

“Yeah, You won’t really even know I’m there. I got promo to do with Doug during the day. I’ll get their Thursday morning, my show is Friday night and I’ll leave Saturday around noon.”

Nick had to put a lot of thought into this, “Fine, you can stay but absolutely no funny shit. You don’t hurt her.”

Nick could hear Aaron’s voice ringing as he replied ‘Promise’ over and over in his head. He could only hope Aaron would stick tight to his word.

Meanwhile Aaron was down the hall in the guest room. He had only just gotten to Nick’s. His day had been booked with meeting fans and promoting his show on radio stations.

Nick was already in bed as was Ashleigh so he used the spare key Nick his for him to get in.

He had taken his things straight up to his guest room but now he was starving as he finished changing into his sweat pants for bed.

He found his way quietly to the kitchen and stole himself a few left overs. As he made his way back up the guest room he passed by Ashleigh’s room. He could hear her now crying versus before the lights were on but all was silent.

His heart caught in his chest. After setting his food down in the room he walked back to hers to listen through the door to see is she was ok.

As he stood listening he realized her cries sounded full of heartbreak. He felt a need to comfort her but didn’t know how and also assumed it wasn’t his place.

He turned sadly to go back to his room but as he did her door opened.

She jumped back surprised to see him standing there. She had known he was coming but not that he’d be outside her door.

“Uncle Aaron?” She questioned trying to wipe her face in hopes of hiding her tears.

“Ashleigh?” He too questioned.

She tried to stand strong  but buckled quickly. Tears filled her eyes as she double over slowly sinking to the floor.

“Ashleigh, are you ok?” He questioned suddenly worried.

“He broke up with me.” She sobbed.

“He?” Aaron emphasized and then continued, “Broke up?”

“My boyfriend. He dumped me for some other girl.” She cried.

Instantly Aaron bent down to her, “I didn’t even know you were allowed to date.”

“I’m not. No one knew he and I are… were…” She burst into tears again.

“Ash… it’s ok. He isn’t worth your tears. There are other guys out their… better ones.” He tried to comfort.

“He was the best. It’s me who wasn’t good enough. This other girl has to be better.” She sobbed.

“No, no one could be better then you. This boy can’t be the best to let the prettiest girl I know go.” Aaron’s voice was warm and soothing.

“You’re just saying that cause you’re my uncle.” She rolled her eyes as she tried to stop crying. She wiped her face on the sleeve of her shirt.

“Me… say something nice… just cause I’m your uncle?” It sounded dumb to Aaron. He had never been a part of her life. She had never really known him. “When have I ever said anything nice about you?”

It sounded harsh but it was true.

“You’re right. So why are you saying something now?” She had to know.

“Cause it’s time for me to be a man.” He simply said.

She looked confused.

“Ashleigh, has your dad ever told you how you got your name?”

She shook her head not understand why he was on the subject when she was devastated about her now ex-boyfriend.

“You got it from me. In the hospital, not long after your mom had you, Nick, uh your dad, asked me to name you.” He said.

“I don’t understand. You’ve hated me my whole life, I get dumped for the first time and suddenly you’re nice. I ask why and you say cause you gotta be a man and go on to tell me that you named me.” She was lost.

He smiled and wrapped an arm around her as they leaned against her purple wall. “Ashleigh, I’ve known you from the moment you were born. You’ve always been perfect. I was just too immature to step up and be who I needed to be in your life. My hating you was never your fault. You never did anything wrong and you didn’t do anything wrong now with this boy.” He tried to sum up his thoughts.

She nodded softly.

He wasn’t gonna lie and say he never hated her. He had. He had hated her very much in fact.

“So see, I was immature and stupid so I know firsthand what immature and stupid looks like. I think that qualifies me to say this boy who you are so upset over is nothing but immature and stupid. You on the other hand are perfect.”

She smiled. She liked this Aaron. He was nice.

“That’s what I wanna see. That smile is famous. Don’t ever lose it to tears.” He rubbed her arm a little.

She nodded, “Thank you Uncle Aaron.”

“You’re welcome Ashleigh. Now go to bed. It’s late.”

She stood slowly and laid in bed as he moved to shut of her light. Before he did though she stopped him.

“Aaron?”

“Yeah?”

“Could you…” She played with her bed sheets as she paused. “Not tell dad I had a boyfriend. He already made it clear I can’t date till I’m sixteen so I’ll get in big trouble if you tell on me.” She hoped his new found nice guy act would cover this too.

“I’ll make you a deal. Don’t tell your dad I was nice or what I told you and I won’t tell him about that lame guy who was stupid and let you go.”

She didn’t understand but she agreed, “Deal.”

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10502