An EPIC Tale - Book 2 by Dark-Hunter
Summary:

Julie and Kate had the summer adventure of a lifetime. Things would never be the same.

Kate and the Boys had returned to their lives, as did Julie. It's Thanksgiving and Julie is so thankful to be spending it with Alex. But as the seasons change, so does their lives...

What happens when Julie and Kate are stuck on a boat with intrigue, disaster, and so many more suprises?

Keep reading and find out!

 

** on a side note, We wrote this in July through Sept, never having a clue that too many of the things we wrote about would really come true!  **


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 85073 Read: 36233 Published: 10/26/11 Updated: 10/27/12

1. Chapter 1 - Thanksgiving by Dark-Hunter

2. Chapter 2 - Sunday by Dark-Hunter

3. Chapter 3 - Kate by Dark-Hunter

4. Chapter 4 - Making Plans by Dark-Hunter

5. Chapter 5 - The Melting Pot by Dark-Hunter

6. Chapter 6 - Monday by Dark-Hunter

7. Chapter 7 - Monkeys by Dark-Hunter

8. Chapter 8 - Leaving by Dark-Hunter

9. Chapter 9 - Nashville by Dark-Hunter

10. Chapter 10 - Burbank by Dark-Hunter

11. Chapter 11 - Miami by Dark-Hunter

12. Chapter 12 - Party by Dark-Hunter

13. Chapter 13 - Hospital by Dark-Hunter

14. Chapter 14 - Boat by Dark-Hunter

15. Chapter 15 - Sphynter Night by Dark-Hunter

16. Chapter 16 - Karaoke by Dark-Hunter

17. Chapter 17 - PDA Pajama Party by Dark-Hunter

18. Chapter 18 - Mistakes by Dark-Hunter

19. Chapter 19 - Ashore by Dark-Hunter

20. Chapter 20 - Larger Than Life Beach Party by Dark-Hunter

21. Chapter 21 - Nassau by Dark-Hunter

22. Chapter 22 - TRL by Dark-Hunter

23. Chapter 23 - Pool Party by Dark-Hunter

24. Chapter 24 - Prom Night by Dark-Hunter

25. Chapter 25 - Dessert by Dark-Hunter

26. Chapter 26 - Final Day by Dark-Hunter

Chapter 1 - Thanksgiving by Dark-Hunter

Thanksgiving

 

When Kate arrived home from her unbelievable summer adventure with Julie, she was greeted by her dogs. Her house sitter had fed all the animals that morning before leaving, but it was 7pm so her first order of business was to feed everyone again.
As she went thru the familiar routine, she began to relax. It was a dream vacation, one that she would never forget. She touched her stomach, where Nick’s child was growing, knowing there was no way she could ever forget. She knew she could do it, raise a baby. Oh, it'd be hard, she had no doubt about that, but she was strong. She'd just have to cowgirl up and deal with it. A baby would change her live but she had to look at it like it would be another great adventure.

Nick was true to his word, in the beginning. He text her several times a day and called when their schedules coordinated. But the time seemed to slip by and Nick's month of promoting his new album turned into two, then three.


Kate had decided to take a job in Omaha with her company, transferring to be closer to Julie. Since Kate's mom had recently retired and spent her winters in Arizona, Kate decided to move closer to Julie to have some help and support. Her mom would visit her in Omaha just as she did in Washington.

Julie had found her the perfect house. It was a three bedroom, three bath tri-level with a finished basement. As you walked in the house there was a set of stairs leading up to the 2nd level. There were two regular bedrooms and the master plus an addition full bath. On the entry level to the left of the stairs was a living room, to the right the dining room.
Through the dining room was the kitchen. It connected to the back of the living room. The back of the living room opened out onto a large wooden deck that overlooked the pasture.
The finished basement contained an additional bedroom and bathroom. The den was converted to the movie room with a big screen tv.

Kate was exhausted after the move. It took five days to drive to Omaha with the horses. Then she had to unpack and get settled.
By the time she was getting the hang of her schedule and feeling at home, it was Thanksgiving.

 

Julie had invited her over to her home to eat dinner with the family. Kate didn't think much of it while she prepared her grandma's apple salad to take over.
Nick and Aaron were going to have Thanksgiving at their mom's house. She was trying very hard to repair the rift in her family and Kate insisted that Nick go, even though her heart ached to see him again.

She rang the doorbell at Julie's house, with her knee, because her hands were full of food. She wasn't prepared for AJ to answer the door.
"Katy!" He smiled, reaching for the food she was carrying.
"Come in, come in."

Kate's heart was in her stomach. This was it. Her charade was over. AJ would call Nick and that'd be it. He'd never call her again.

AJ had taken the veggie tray from her and led the way in the house. Kate tugged at her shirt, trying lower the hem a little more. She was only 4 months along but she was definitely showing. She had found some cute maternity clothes that didn't look like maternity clothes but there was no way she was going to hide this from AJ. Besides, Julie's family all knew she was expecting and they'd ask how she was doing.
She gritted her teeth and followed him into the kitchen. Julie was at the sink, washing the potatoes she was about to put in a pot of boiling water.

"So where's Nick?" AJ asked without turning to look back at Kate.
"He and Aaron went to see their mom.”
"Why didn't you go?" he asked, confused.
"They need some family time to build their relationships back up. I didn't want to get in the way."

Kate had strategically place herself between the island and AJ to hide her belly but it was a total waste of time. When Julie's dad walked in and saw her the cat was out of the bag.
"Hey Prego, how ya feeling?"

AJ looked confused until he saw Kate hug Julie's dad. He saw her baby bump and couldn't believe Julie had never mentioned it. Now the question was whose baby was it.

Julie's dad led Kate away from the kitchen, asking her if she could adjust his new reading glasses, leaving Julie and AJ alone in the kitchen.

Julie didn't know what to say. She knew she had been keeping this secret from him but it wasn't her secret to tell. But she had decided to not let Kate's secret keep her from Alex so she had invited them both for Thanksgiving. She knew this moment would come and no amount of preparing for it would make it any easier. Julie took a deep breath. Not wanting to face him yet, she took more time than was necessary to put the potatoes in the pot.

"So why didn't you tell me about Kate?" he asked, the hurt registering in his voice.
"She made me promise not to," she replied without turning to meet his gaze that she could feel.
"So ... Does Nick know?"
"No."
He hated to ask the next question but it was unavoidable.
"Is it his?"
Fire flashed in Julie's eyes as her head snapped around to face him.
"Of course it's his!"
"I'm sorry, babe," he said honestly. "But why hasn't she told him?"
"Because he never came back," Julie said quietly, wiping her wet hands on the hand towel that rested on her shoulder.
"What do you mean he never came back? He was supposed to come right after the tour ended."
"Yeah, well he didn't. His promoter keeps booking him back to back appearance. Or so he says."
Julie took a step towards him, looking up into Alex's dark brown eyes.
"I think she's given up on ever seeing him again."

Alex pulled out his phone but Julie closed the remaining distance between them and covered the phone with her hand.
"You can't tell him," Julie said angrily.
"What do you mean I can't tell him? He deserves to know."
"No, he doesn't. Kate told me a million times, when I would say the same thing, that he's made his choice."
"Babe, it may not be his choice. When we're on tour, we're at the mercy of the promoters and upper management. You have to at least give him a chance to know his own kid."

Julie shook her head. She couldn't imagine what her world would be like if Alex hadn't come back. She knew how Kate was dealing with all this. Kate lived one day at a time. She tried not to borrow trouble. Julie hadn't noticed she had begun crying until Alex reached out and gently took one tear from her cheek before his arms encircled her.

"Tell you what, why don't I text Nick and tell him I'm here and he should fly out for a couple of days. We won't tell Kate, in case he doesn't come."
Julie just nodded into his shoulder.

 

Just before they sat for dinner, Alex made an effort to catch Kate. Julie had asked him to get a gallon of milk from the extra fridge in the garage and he saw that as the perfect opportunity to talk to Kate alone.
"Kate, can I talk to you a minute," he asked.
Kate followed him out to the garage. It was a chilly fall day but Kate was constantly overheated with her hormones and body changing.

"I'm sorry I was surprised when I saw you were expecting. Julie didn't tell me."
Kate couldn't keep eye contact. She could feel her eyes stinging with tears.
"Please, don't tell Nick," she whispered.
"I won't," he said, pulling her into his protective embrace.
"But I want you to know that if you need anything I'll be here for you, ok?"
Kate nodded. He pulled her back to look into her eyes but her gaze was on her feet. He gently lifted her chin with two fingers, bringing their eyes to the same level.
"I just have one request."
Kate finally looked into his eyes, but was confused.
"Can this kid call me Uncle Alex?"
Kate laughed.
He hugged her again and told her to go back in to warm up.
"Warm up? I'm my own personal sauna as it is. I'm thinking a dip in the pool is sounding pretty good right now." She laughed as she headed inside.


Still in the garage, Alex pulled out his phone and sent a text to Nick while he had a moment alone.

ALEX: Happy Turkey Day!
NICK: Back at cha!
ALEX: How's Kate?
NICK: Good. She moved close to Julie. We may need to plan a trip to see them after the holiday.
ALEX: You got any plans this weekend?
NICK: At Mom's for a couple of days.
ALEX: Why don't we fly out and surprise the girls Sunday?
NICK: I have to make sure my promoter didn't book anything.
ALEX: You still want to see her don't you?
NICK: Of course.
ALEX: Julie said you haven't been to see her since July.
NICK: I know. Every time I plan to go something comes up.
ALEX: Well cancel it! Sounds like Kate's going thru some stuff and she could use some support.
NICK: What? She didn't say anything.
ALEX: Julie wouldn't say, just that she needs a lot of support right now. I'll meet you at the airport Sunday.
NICK: I'll do my best.
ALEX: I'm serious Nick! Get your ass to Omaha. Sunday
NICK: Alright. Alright. I'll be there but if it was serious Kate would have told me.

Chapter 2 - Sunday by Dark-Hunter

Sunday

 

Alex rolled out of bed early Sunday morning. He tried to be quiet but as usual, Julie knew the moment he had awoken.
"And just where do you think you're going?" Julie said sleepily. He loved her like this, tussled from their night's play.
"I have to meet Nick at the airport."
Julie was suddenly wide awake. She sat straight up, the sheets exposing her bare breasts. She didn’t even seem to notice.
"What? He's coming?"
Alex nodded, unable to answer with words, his eyes locked on Julie’s bosom.
"Did you tell him?"
"No. I promised you and Kate I wouldn't."
Julie was suspicious.
"Then why is he coming all the sudden?"
"Because I said we should meet here, to visit you girls."
Julie wasn't satisfied but she knew she wasn't going to get any more information than that. She pulled the sheets back up to cover her skin.
"Do you want to take my car?"
"Thanks but I got a cab coming and I'll rent a car at the airport."

Alex had a shower and headed to the airport. He was an hour early to pick up Nick but he needed some time to think things thru. He got the keys to the rental and went to get a cup of coffee in the food court.
He hated for his friend to be broad sided with the news that he was going to a father but he knew that Kate had to tell him. He knew this was going to be hard for Kate but he had promised her he wouldn't tell.  He called Julie.

"Hey, handsome!" she said when she answered the phone.
"Hey baby, I was just thinking of something. I don't want to just drop Nick off at Kate's and be like surprise you’re going to be a Dad."
"Yeah I'm thinking that's going to go over like a lead balloon."
"Especially since I didn't tell Kate he's coming."
Julie waited for him to continue.
"So I was thinking maybe you should go over to Kate's and prepare her."
"That's probably a good idea." Julie agreed.
"I'm going to talk to Nick on the way over about how Kate would be there for him no matter what and he's been neglecting her."
"Ok."
"Would you ask Kate if she wants me to tell him? I will if it's too much for her."
Julie smiled. That's why she loved this man. He wanted to protect Kate. Nick is practically his brother and he's more concerned about Kate. Kate had told Julie about the garage conversation. She smiled thinking of "Uncle Alex".
"Ok I'll call her now. What time is Nick's flight arriving?"
"In about a half hour. So we should be there in about an hour."
"Ok. I better get a move on then."
"Thanks baby. I love you."
"I love you too. See you soon."

Julie hung up and immediately dialed Kate.
"Dude. It's Sunday!" Kate groaned.
"Rise and Grind, Sunshine. Get up I'll be at your house in 10 minutes."
"Why?"
"Nick's coming and we only have an hour to make you beautiful."
Kate sat straight up in bed.
"What?!" She exclaimed.
"Yeah. Apparently he wanted to surprise you. Fortunately Alex didn't think you needed that much of a surprise. Now get in the shower. I'm heading out to my car now."

Kate obediently got in the shower. She still managed to shave her legs, although it was getting more and more difficult. She wondered why she bothered. She should just stay in her jammies and tell him.
"He'll walk out the door and that will be the end." Kate thought.
She'd had enough nightmares about it. She'd been dreading this conversation. The longer he'd been gone, the harder it would become to tell him. Although, she had almost come to think that she wouldn't have to tell him. His texts and calls had become fewer and fewer, so she had starting to think that he'd just forgot about her.
She about jumped out of her skin when Julie said,
"Ok, are you a prune yet?"
"Holy cow, you scared me!" Kate answered.
She turned off the water, grabbing a towel off the rack and drying off in the shower.
"Ok. I'm going to go pick out an outfit." Julie said heading into Kate's walk in closet.

Kate pulled on her terrycloth robe. She couldn't just wrap in a towel anymore, they didn't reach. Julie had several articles lying on the bed by the time Kate got there.

"I don't know why you're bothering. After I tell him he's going right back to the airport and I'll never see him again."
"Well, aren't we just Mary sunshine this morning." Julie teased.

Kate sat on the bed pulling the towel off her head. She ran her hand thru her wet hair.
"So I'm thinking this shirt," Julie said, holding up the brown and turquoise tank top that Kate had worn to the concert in Kansas City.
"No." Kate said.
"Why not?"
"Because it's November and I have chores to do."
"You can change later for that. Don't you want to look beautiful for him?"
Kate looked up at Julie, tears streaming down her face. Julie came over sitting next to her. She wrapped her arms around her friend as Kate clung to her.
"You know what ever happens today that at least it’s over and you don't have to worry about it anymore. And Alex and I will be here for you."
Kate pulled back, wiping her eyes.
"Ok."
She allowed Julie to dress her and fix her hair. It had grown a lot due to the prenatal vitamins, reaching to her shoulder blades.
Julie dried and curled it but Kate refuse to wear make-up.
"I'll just cry it off." She insisted.

Alex met Nick just outside of security. They gripped hands, bumping shoulders.
"How was your flight?" Alex asked, leading the way down to baggage claim.
"Early." Nick yawned.
When they had retrieved Nick's checked bag he noticed Alex didn't have any luggage.
"Wait where are your bags?" Nick asked.
"At Julie's. I got here a couple of days ago."

Alex led the way to the rental car lot. He followed the directions to his vehicles location. The car was a black Cadillac Escalade, just as he had requested.
"Nice." Nick said, "Must be planning on taking our ladies out in style."
"May as well." Alex agreed. "So why haven't you been out to see Kate?"
"My schedule is nonstop. Cd signings, concerts, personal appearances. I had a short time when I flew back to Nashville to film a video, but I really have been on the go ever since the tour ended. You know how it is. But I call her and text her all the time."
Alex raised an eyebrow at him.
"Ok. So not as much as I did at first but I do still talk to her more than I talk to anyone else." Nick confessed. "So if you've been here then you know what's going on."
Alex kept his eyes on the road not responding.
"Come on, man! Tell me."
"I can't. I promised her I wouldn't."

As they drove to Kate's house, Nick's mind went into overdrive trying to figure out what it could be. Maybe her mom was sick. He knew her dad had passed away a few years ago so it couldn’t be something drastic like that. But why wouldn't she tell him? Maybe she lost her job. Yeah that could be it. Maybe she didn't want to ask for money but she needed it. AJ had said she needed support. Maybe she had a sick animal, or she was going to have to have surgery on her wrist because of the horseback riding accident, after all.

Soon they pulled into the farm yard of Kate's place. Kate was sitting behind her kitchen table a cup of cocoa in her hands. Julie sat next to her.
Alex knocked on the door before opening it, letting himself and Nick in.
"We're in the kitchen." Julie called.

Nick froze as he followed Alex into to kitchen. He had a sudden flash back to the intervention that his family and friends had arranged. His breathing quickened.
"What is it?" He asked, not bothering to say hello, or how are you.
Julie touched Kate's arm encouragingly, showing her support.
She took a deep breath and looked up at Nick's beautiful face.
"I'm pregnant." She said simply.
He felt like someone had hit him in the chest. He didn't see that coming. He turned and walked out the front door. He needed air.

Kate burst into tears. She ran out the back door and down to the barn.
"Well. That went well." Alex said sarcastically.
"You get him, I'll get her." Julie said, grabbing Kate's coat on her way out.

AJ found Nick on the front porch gripping the wooden rail. He was bent at the waist his head hanging between his arms.
"You ok?" AJ questioned.
"Why didn't you tell me?" Nick asked, his head still bowed.
"Kate asked me not too."
"If she didn't want to be with me anymore why didn't she just tell me?" Nick looked up at AJ, his blue eyes dark with despair.

It took AJ a second to register what Nick had just said.
"Dude, that's your baby!"
Nick wiped at his face, streaked with tears.
"If it's mine why didn't she tell me sooner?" he said angrily.
AJ was calm as he replied, "Because she was waiting for you to keep your promise."
"What promise?" Nick spat out.
"Uh, when you told her you loved her and that you'd come back for her."
"I do love her, but it can't be mine. We haven't seen each other since..."
"Since July? Yeah, that makes her 4 months along."
Nick did the mental math.
"But she would be showing, wouldn't she?" he asked more calmly.
"She is. You just didn't notice because she was behind the table."
"So it's really mine?" Nick asked hopefully.
AJ laughed, "You think I'd bring you here if it wasn't?"
Nick collapsed into one of the rocking chairs on the front porch.
"Oh man, I'm going to be a Dad," he said, the realization of it finally hitting him.
"What am I going to do?" he asked, looking up to AJ for advice.
"Well, if it was me, I'd go find the mother of my child before she freezes to death."
Nick looked confused.
"She ran out the back door after you walked out. She's convinced herself that you won't want her or the baby."
Nick stood up, hugging AJ.
"Thanks, brother. Dude, I'm going to be dad!" he said actually starting to get excited.

Chapter 3 - Kate by Dark-Hunter

Kate

 

I ran out the back door and down the stairs off the deck, tears streaming down my face.
I'll never forget the look on his face when I told him. I ran down past the barn to the pond on the edge of my property, just wanting to be alone.

I collapsed onto a bed of long pine needles. Great. Snow. Could this day get any worse? And it's not even lunch time.
I curled up into a ball. Well, that's it. It's over. He rejected me just like I thought. I sobbed, letting the tears fall where they may. I'd be strong tomorrow; today I just need to fall apart.

I heard Julie calling me but I didn't want to be found. I silenced my tears. She'll find me eventually she knows where to look but I need a few more minutes.
I sat up, leaning against a stump looking out over the lake. I pulled my knees as close to my chest as I could, wrapping my arms around them, concentrating on the serenity of the scene before me.
There was a pair of Canadian geese swimming around. I watched movement in the cattails knowing that was where a pair of ducks had built their nest. I named them Cheese and Quackers.

That's when I felt it. Almost like a butterfly in my stomach. I placed my hand over the spot. When it happened again I knew that this was why I had to stay strong.


"Kate?" Nick's voice called my name. I closed my eyes. I knew I'd imagined it but I loved the sound of his voice and wanted to savor it.
"Katy?"
I opened my eyes to see him kneeling in front of me.
"Honey, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I was just so stunned by what you said that-"
"It's yours." I said, interrupting him.
"I know that."
I searched his face to see if he meant it.
"Please baby, come inside."
He pulled me to my feet, wrapping my coat around me. I followed numbly along. It wasn’t the cold but I felt completely drained emotionally.

He led me in the house and brushed the snow off my hair.
"Where's Julie and Alex?" I asked.
"They went back to Julie's after we found you. They wanted to give us some privacy."
I nodded. I headed upstairs to my bedroom to get out of my wet clothes. Nick followed me upstairs. He sat on my bed watching me undress. I pulled my wet shirt over my head.
"Can I?" He asked reaching towards my belly.
I stepped a little closer to him. His hands were warm as he caressed my belly. He leaned down kissing it, then looked up into my eyes.
"We're going to be parents." He said smiling.
"Are you mad at me?" I asked, still concerned.
"Why would I be mad at you?"
"I know we just started dating and I thought you'd think I did it on purpose."

Nick pulled me into his lap.
"I'm pretty sure it took two of us to make this little one." He said caressing my belly.
"I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. I got so wrapped up in work that I didn't make time for you. I hope you can forgive me."
He looked up at me. His gray eyes searching mine for answers. I leaned in, kissing him softly. I've wanted this so badly, to know I'm not alone. To know that this little one will grow up knowing it can depend on both parents. I placed my hand over his that rested on my belly.
"I love you Katherine." He said simply.
"I love you too."

Nick shivered and I realized for the first time that his hair and pants were all wet from being out in the snow.
"You're all wet." I said. He laughed as I stood up.
"Get out of those wet clothes." I instructed, removing my wet jeans.

We cuddled up in bed, my body heat warming him.
"Isn't it my job to warm you up?" He asked.
I laughed, "Not while I'm a human incubator."
He spooned up against me, his left hand rubbing my baby bump.

"Oh that reminds me." He said. "I'm out of your perfume and I didn't know where to get more."
"Why do you need more?" I asked.
"Well, if I have to travel anymore I won't be able to sleep without your scent on my pillow."
I laughed, "I have another one."

We laid there quietly for a few minutes, each of us lost in our own thoughts.
"Can you fly?" He asked.
What did he just ask me? I turn my head trying to look at him.
"What?" I asked.
"In your condition, can you fly?"
"Oh, on a plane!" I said, realizing what he's talking about. “Yes until my third trimester."
"Good. Will you come with me on the cruise?"
"What cruise?"
"The BSB cruise."
"When is it?"
"Next week."
I laughed, "Thanks for the warning."
"I'll arrange everything. Please say you'll come."
"I'll call my boss and see if I can get the time off."
He kissed my neck, sending a shiver down my body. His hand slid below my belly into the soft curls between my thighs. I moaned at his caresses. He rolled me onto my back; his lips met mine in a passionate kiss. I wrapped my arms around him, reveling in the feel of his bare skin against mine.
He rolled on top of me, putting his weight on his arms so as not to crush me. His knee parted my thighs. I wrapped my legs around him, pulling him closer.
He kissed me lightly, and then broke our kiss, pushing up straightening his arms.
"I don't want to hurt you." He said.
"You won't." I replied, running my finger through his hair.
He leaned down, kissing me again. I moaned as I felt him sliding into me. He was slow and gently as he moved within me. The feel of his body felt so right. I could spend the rest of my life in his arms.
"I love you," he breathed in my ear.

Chapter 4 - Making Plans by Dark-Hunter
Julie had gone looking for Kate after she ran out. As she came out of the barn she saw Nick and AJ walking toward her.
"She's not in here. She's probably down at the lake," Julie told them.
She pointed out the path to Nick and watched him head down the path. "Wave if she's there and we'll take off to give you some privacy," AJ said. When Nick waved to them, Julie and AJ headed for their cars.


When they got back to Julie's house, She plopped on the couch.
"You think they’re going to be ok?" she asked as Alex sat down next to her.
"Yeah, I think they will."
"He's not mad at her is he?"
"No, he's not mad. Still in shock I think, but they'll work it out." He paused, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her back to recline on the couch.
"So, I'm thinking that since we're alone, we need to talk about the cruise,”
“I’ve already told you I just don’t think it is a good idea. As much as I want to go, I don’t want to take time away from fans. Plus, since you broke up with Rochelle, the girls have been going crazy.”
“What do you mean the girls are going crazy?”
Julie blushed.
“Well, I joined the BSB fan club so I could go on the boards and see what fun experiences people have had when meeting you guys. And the buzz on there about you being single is insane. They are all hoping to get a chance at catching your eye.” She laughed.
Julie knew he loved her and she had no worries when it came to them.
“You joined the fan club?” He started laughing. “So now you have to come.”
“Wait, what? Because I joined a website, I have to go? And how did you come up with that?”
“I don't know it just sounded good.”
Julie let out a sigh. As much as she wanted to go, she filled with guilt just thinking about the girls that wouldn't get to meet him because he would be too busy with her.

“Well, I can’t go. All the cabins are sold out and I can’t stay with you. You need to be ‘single’. The fans are expecting it.”
“Hello… I am a Backstreet Boy and it is my cruise. I will get you a cabin. A really nice cabin. And you will go. Kate too. I am sure Nick has already talked Kate into it."

“But-" she started, but AJ interrupted her.
“No buts. Except yours, on the cruise.”

Julie let out a deep sigh. There was no talking him out of it. He already had his phone out and was texting away.
“You do realize the cruise is in a week, right? I have nothing to wear. I don’t even know what the themes are!”
He looked over at her, "I don't mind if you go naked."
She smacked him.
"You are such a guy."
"I know. That's why you love me."

He started telling her about the 80's night while texting on his phone.
“I think the girls are all gonna go more pop 80’s, where are us guys are going more hairband 80’s, like in the video 'Just So You Know'.” Julie quickly envisioned an outfit for that party and had the perfect idea she could pull it together so easy, it would not be a problem. But she needed to find out about the other themes if she really was going to go.


Kate woke up in Nick's arms. She sighed contentedly. They had fallen asleep after making love.
She rolled over, looking at the clock. 2 pm. Crap, she hadn't even fed the animals yet.
She moved quietly out of bed trying not to wake Nick. He rolled away from her in his sleep.
"Poor guy probably didn't get any sleep last night," she thought.
She dressed quickly in comfortable clothes and headed downstairs. She fed the dogs and headed outside to feed the horses. The snow had stopped but had covered everything in a beautiful white blanket.
The horses were waiting at the fence for her.
"Sorry guys," she told them, "But trust me, you aren't going to die if you miss a meal."
She walked down to the barn to get some hay. She decided she'd give them a little grain as well, to help keep them warm.
As she stood between the horses, she leaned against Jasper breathing in deeply the warm horse smell. She had no idea that she was being observed.

Nick sat wrapped in a blanket in the bay window seat in Kate's room. He had felt her get up and when she didn't come back he got up to check on her.
She looked so beautiful out there. She was in her natural element, completely relaxed. He'd forgotten what a calming influence she was. She didn't care about fame or money. In fact, she was always embarrassed when he bought things for her which made him want to spoil her all the more.

She gathered up the grain buckets and returned them to the barn. He got dress and joined her in the kitchen.
"Good morning." He said
"Afternoon." She smirked.

He stretched, scratching the back of his head.
"Would you like some lunch?" she asked.
"Sure," he replied, sitting at her kitchen table.
She fixed them grilled cheese and tomato garden soup.

"So tell me about this cruise." Kate said.
She listened as he talked about the nightly themes, parties, and activities. He described pools and workout rooms, saunas and hot tubs.

"How am I going to get a room? If it's anything like the New Kids Cruise, it sold out within hours."
"Babe. I already have a room. You can stay with me," he said, a smile creeping across his face.
"I'm not sure that's a good idea." Kate said reluctantly, placing a hand on her stomach. “Well, unless you’re planning on letting the cat out of the bag."
"Oh, good point," he said. "Not that I want to hide you but..."
"I'd rather keep it a secret from your fans, at least for now. I don't need to be followed around by the media."

After lunch Nick made a few calls to see about a cabin for Kate, followed by a call to AJ.
"Hello?" AJ answered on the first ring, his phone already in his hand.
"Hey, I was wondering if you guys wanted to meet up for dinner."
"Hey, that's sounds good. You have a place in mind?"
"Not really, but I feel like celebrating!"
AJ laughed.
"Ok, I'll ask Julie. You wanna go public?"
"May as well. Time to show these girls what dating a rockstar is all about."
"Ok I’ll get Julie’s help and make the reservations. We will let you know what time we'll pick you up."
"Cool. Hey, pick something fancy. And tell Julie she should convince Kate to go shopping."
"Alright. I'll have her call Kate."

He headed upstairs to find Kate. While he had been pacing around the living room trying to make plans she had gone upstairs where it was quieter. She loved Nick and loved having him here but Sunday was her day of rest.
He found her asleep in the window seat, an open book in her lap. He pulled her blanket up around her and sat on the bench facing her. As he trailed his fingers down her cheek, her eyes opened slowly. A smile spread across her lips.
"Hi," she said.
"Hi," he replied. "Must be a good book."
She looked confused till she realized she had fallen asleep reading. It wasn't the first time she'd done it.
"Guess I was tired" She said apologetically.
"I have a surprise for you," he said.
"Did you get me a cabin?"
"Oh, I'm still working on that. Tonight, AJ and I want to take you girls out to dinner."
She smiled at him sweetly.
"You are so sweet."
"We decided we needed to celebrate. So I asked AJ to have Julie take you shopping."
Kate was totally confused.
"Why would I need to go shopping just to go out to dinner?"
"Because I want to take you someplace nice."
"I have nice clothes. They are getting snug but..."
"Look, I haven't seen you in 4 months. Let me spoil you a little."
Kate looked doubtful until he turned his sad puppy dog eyes on her, then she started laughing.
Kate's phone chirped letting her know she had a text.


JULIE: OMG! The guys want to take us shopping and out to dinner.
KATE: Nick was just telling me.
JULIE: We're coming to pick you up.

In no time at all they were all together and off to do some shopping. Julie directed Alex to drive to the Westroads mall.
"Oh wow. I never get to come here!" Kate said sarcastically.
Julie laughed at the guys’ confusion.
"This is where she works," Julie explained.

AJ parked by the new Nordstroms, leading the girls inside.
Kate looked around at the clothes. They had beautiful clothes but she never shopped here. It was way too expensive. She followed Nick as he headed towards the Men's department.
"Babe, why don't you go find something beautiful to wear tonight?" he said encouragingly.
"Oh, it’s ok," she said embarrassed.
"What's wrong?" he asked.
"Nothing. I-I have something at home that I was going to wear."

Nick could see this wasn't going as easily as he hoped. He looked at AJ who was having a difficult time getting Julie away from the clearance rack.
Nick took Kate's hand and led her over to Julie were he took Julie's hand and led both girls upstairs towards the ladies department dressings room. There was a desk in front and a well-dressed lady sitting it. She looked up as they got closer.
"Good afternoon. How may I help you?" she asked sweetly.
"We are going out tonight and they both need proper attire." Nick said.
The lady smiled.
"Of course," she said happily.
Alex stepped up behind Julie.
"We are also going on a cruise next week so they'll need clothes for that, too."
"I don't-" Kate started to object but Nick, who had and arm around her shoulder, moved his hand to cover her mouth.
"Yes, she does."
"Is it to a tropical location?" the lady asked.
"Yes." AJ and Nick answered together.
"So summer clothes, swimsuits, evening wear,-" she said, making a list.
"And party clothes." AJ tossed in.
"I'll get them taken care of. Ladies, if you'll come with me we'll start with some measurements."

As the girls went into the dressing rooms, Julie turned back to AJ.
"Are we going to have time for all this?”
"Of course," he replied.
"But what about our dinner reservations?" she asked.
"Oh." He checked his watch, and then he looked back at the clerk.
"I think we will get them dressed for tonight then we'll come back to do the rest tomorrow."
"That would be fine. It will give me time to put some things together for them," she said, smiling.
"And don't let them see the price tags." Nick said, "We'll take care of it."
The clerk showed the girls into the dressing rooms while the guys headed down to the men's department.


“Kate, how does that one look?” Julie asked as she tried on her third dress. Kate was having a slightly harder time finding something she could justify letting Nick get for her. Although the ones she had tried on were fitting fine, all she could thing about was the fact there was no room to grow and no way to take it in after she had the baby. She was getting frustrated.

“Why do we have to have new dresses anyways,” She complained under her breath.
“Will you just come out,” Julie said as she opened her own dressing room door.

Kate took a deep breath and stepped out. Julie held her breath when she saw her. Kate looked radiant. She couldn’t understand why Kate was sounding upset. She looked so beautiful her dress was a strapless yellow full length gown. It had a jeweled empire waist that gave it a very feminine air.

“Wow. Is that the one you are going to pick?” Julie asked.
“I don’t know.”
"It's beautiful, what's the problem?"
"I look pregnant in it."
Julie laughs, "Hon, you are pregnant."
"I know but it's so expensive and honestly what am I going to do with it after the cruise?"
"I'm sure you can figure that out later." Julie said reassuringly.
"Fancy dresses should be like tuxedos, you can rent them for the event then give them back for someone else to choose."

Julie smiled to herself. That was Kate, always sensible. No one would have any reason to doubt her motives for being with Nick. She simple wasn't the kind of girl to lose herself to trying for 15 minutes of fame.

They found matching shoes and accessories with the help of Janell, their sales lady. Julie pulled out her phone, texting Alex to let them know they were ready.

ALEX: will I be surprised?
JULIE: I hope so.
ALEX: Nick and I are sitting in the little café. Be there soon.
JULIE: Better hurry. I think the baby is getting hungry. Kate is cranky.

Nick walked up handing Kate a cookie from the cafe. She smiled at him.
"How did you know?" She asked.
"A little birdy told me that you were getting cranky and I know that for me it usually means I'm hungry."

Both girls still tried to protest when the guys bought their items. But Nick and AJ instantly shushed them, insisting it was something they wanted to do.
They took their packages and headed home. Kate and Nick were dropped off at Kate’s with little time to spare. They needed to get ready for their dinner reservations.

Julie stood almost naked in front of AJ, her back to him. She only had on her tiny black satin panties. She was about to put her dress on, when he stepped into the room.
“That is not at all fair.” He said
Julie turned around quickly, caught off guard. His eyes went to her breasts. He looked at her with hunger in his eyes. He growled as he took a step forward. Julie started laughing.

“Don’t even think about it. I just finished my makeup and I don’t have time to fix it.” She turned back around to pick up the dress. He moved with swiftness, his arms wrapping around her, his hands going to her breasts. He gently kneaded them, causing her nipples to harden into little peaks.

Julie turned in his arms, kissing him lightly on his nose. Her hands went to his chest, pushing at him lightly, trying to get out of his arms.

“Not right now,” She reminded him. “We need to be picking up Kate and Nick in less than 30 minutes.”
AJ laughed deep in his chest.
“It won’t take that long,” he teased.
“It better take longer than that, but not right now.”
He let out a sigh of defeat and let her finished getting dressed.


Nick waited downstairs for Kate to finish getting ready. It hadn't taken her long but she had let him get ready first so he could check into the cabin again.
He'd gotten lucky. His assistant had found out there was a room on his floor. It had a king bed and living room with a private deck. He couldn't wait to tell Kate.

He looked out the front window again and saw the escalade pulling in.
"Katy there here!" He called.
"Coming." She replied.

As she stepped to the top of the stairs he was stunned. She looked so beautiful. No, that wasn't the word he wanted. Radiant. She seemed to glow. He had heard the expression before but now he understood.

As she descended the steps towards him he took in everything about her. Her long dark hair lay in curls around her shoulder. Her necklace of rhinestones was fit for a princess and she work the small diamond stud earrings that Nick had sent her as a gift.
"Wow" He whispered.
Kate smiled. She passed him and walked to the coat closet pulling out a fur coat. She handed it to Nick. He was shocked at the weight of it.
"Whoa! What is this made of, lead?"
Kate laughed, "That's a real mink coat."
He held it open for her to put on.
"Oh it's not for me, it's for Julie." She explained.
"Then what are you wearing?"
Kate reached in the closet and pulled out another fur, slipping it easily around her shoulders.
AJ knocked on the door. Nick reached over, opening it.
"You guys ready?" He asked.
They both nodded and followed AJ to the car. Nick kept a protective arm around Kate, not wanting her to fall in her heels.
He opened Julie's door, handing her the coat before walking around to get in behind AJ.
Chapter 5 - The Melting Pot by Dark-Hunter

When they pulled up to the restaurant, there were a couple of valets waiting. The first opened Julie's door helping her out, then he helped Kate. The second walked around and took the keys from AJ as he and Nick walked around to join the girls.
They offered the girls their arms and escorted them inside. AJ led them inside to the hostess.

"Reservations for McLean. " He said.
The girl in her mid-twenties looked up from her podium. She stared in shock at AJ, as if she recognized him. Julie cleared her throat to get the girls attention. The girl snapped back to reality.

"I'm sorry," She said. "Yes your table is ready for you Mr. McLean. Please follow me."

As they followed the hostess to their table Julie noticed the heads turn to watch them. People were in various types of clothing, from jeans and tee shirts, to suits and dresses. But no one there was as beautifully dressed as they were. Many did not know who they were, but the guys had an air about them. It was obvious to anyone that glanced their way that they were used to first class.

The Melting Pot had once been a very old library and had been converted into the fondue restaurant just a few years before. The building had multiple levels, with elegant wood staircases and balconies. The lights were subdued, giving the restaurant a very romantic atmosphere. The place was crowded, as was normal for the restaurant.

They were lead to a staircase and went up one flight of stairs. They were sat at a booth in front a balcony and across from of a stain glass window. There were six other booths in the area. And all but one was occupied. The girls slid into the booth first, the guys following. The hostess offered the guys a menu each, explaining that there was the option of individual courses or a set of pre-selected meals.

They all agreed to try the four course meal. It would start with a salad. Then on to the cheese fondue, followed by meats and veggies, finished off with a dessert fondue. Julie looked over at Kate, envious of her empire waist dress. She was going to be so full when they left that she would look pregnant too.

While eating their salads, AJ's phone went off. He had had it on vibrate, so both he and Julie felt its notification. He tried to ignore it, but it continued to go off. He finally excused himself to check it and started laughing.

"Ha! I win!" He said, looking right at Nick. The girls were confused.
"Maybe not. I turned my phone off, as a curtesy, so I might have been first." At that point Nick took his phone out of his pocket and turned it on.
"Someone wanna tell me what is going on?" Kate asked.
Nick looked over at her as he waited for his phone to boot up.

"While we were sitting in the cafe in Nordstroms, we where recognized by two girls. So we have this ongoing BSB thing about who gets recognized or tweeted about first." Nick explained.
"And since the girls that saw us said hi to me first, I called it, that I would get the first tweet." AJ pointed out.

"So," Julie said, bringing attention to her, "This means that people will now know you are in Omaha?"
"Yeah, Basically," AJ said.
"Does this mean I can't take you all to the zoo tomorrow?"
Kate looked at her funny.
"You do realize that there is a few inches of snow on the ground right now, right?" She pointed out.
"Yeah. So? There are seven warm buildings in the first part of the zoo. I love going in the winter. Trust me, it will be fine. Well, on that aspect anyways."
AJ took her hand and kissed her knuckles.
"I think going to the zoo will be perfect."
Kate leaned into Nick.
"So what does the twitters say?"
Nick started reading.
"Someone named @missbsb_girl just posted 'I just saw @nickcarter at Nordstroms in Omaha' And another one named @SweetD_Lady posted 'You are wrong He is in Canada.' Should I read more?"
Julie turned to AJ.
"You should read some too," she said.

He looked at his phone and was trying to be funny by using a slightly high pitched voice, as if he was immitaing a girl.
"'OMG, @skulleeroz is in Omaha, right in front of me! Squee.'" He laughed before he read another. "You are not gonna beleive this one. From @songbyrd.'@skulleeroz is in my restaurant with @nickcarter right now. And two girls.'"

Everyone looked around, trying to figure out who had posted it. Was it the hostess, or any one of the servers walking around? They had no clue. At least she hadn't posted the restaurant name.


They had just finished their salads when the hostess brought a young couple to sit at a booth close to them. The woman carried a very small baby in her arms; the man had the car seat. Nick glanced at the couple as they got arranged in their booth. Because of where he sat, he had a perfect view of the young woman and her infant every time he lifted his head up. He noticed the baby was wrapped in a little pink blanket.

The baby made a small noise as she stretched in her mother’s arms. She couldn’t be more than a few weeks old. Nick felt his heart pounding in his chest. The mother had a glow about her, which made him want to look over at Kate. He felt the knots in his stomach pull again as she look over at him. He was still amazed that the beautiful woman beside him was going to be the mother of his child. The knots in him were from pure joy and terror, in the same moment.
It made him realize he never wanted to leave her side.

Kate smiled at Nick when she saw him looking at her. She wasn’t sure what he was thinking, but the look in his eyes said so much. She leaned into him and he took the hint. Their lips met ever so slightly.

“I love you so much, Katy,” He whispered against her soft lips.
“I love you too.”

Nick was about to kiss her again, with a little more passion, when the server returned. He had a fondue pot in his hands. He set it on the built in burner and turned up the heat. The server quickly explained about the swiss cheese fondue and the oils and spices added to it. A second server was behind him with a tray of plates. The two plates held apples, carrots, broccoli, as well as other veggies and many different types of breads.

They took their time enjoying the food. Julie looked over at AJ, who was watching Nick watching someone behind him. AJ finally turned his head to see what Nick was looking at. When he saw the baby, he laughed quietly.

“Getting excited all ready?” AJ teased.
“Alex, be nice. He is probably just watching to get an idea of how to take care of them,” Julie teased. She turned to Nick. “Have you ever even held a baby before?”
“Yeah. But has been it long time." He turned to Kate. "What if I drop him? Nick sounded truly anxious. She could relate, she'd wondered what kind of mother she would make. But she knew Nick had five younger siblings so he'd have no problem with the baby.
“You won’t drop her,” Kate said, changing the sex of the baby. “You've had lots of practice."
They all laughed.

Almost an hour later, they had finished the cheese fondue and were working on the meats. The broth was made with a red wine, but the waiter explained that the alcohol was burned off during cooking. They had steak, chicken, shrimp, lobster tails and many different vegetables to cook in the broth.

Julie brought up the cruise, asking Nick what theme he was most looking forward to. It reminded him that he had news for Kate.

“Oh yeah, Kate,” he turned to face her. “I have a cabin for you. My assistant was able to get one on my floor. It has a king sized bed and a private deck.”

Julie turned to AJ. "Have you had any luck getting me a cabin?" He looked sheepishly at her.
"My assistant hasn't gotten back to me yet."
Julie turned to Kate.
"Do you mind if I just stay with you?"
Kate smiled.
"Yeah. I don't see why not. That way you can help me get dressed."

As they finished dinner and moved on to dessert, they talked more about the cruise. AJ wanted to know what Julie thought she would wear for 80's night, since she had hinted at an idea, but she wouldn't tell him.

Nick told them about the other themes. The first night, as they said, was Sphynkter 80s Night, the second was PDA Pajama Jam, the third was the Larger Than Life Beach Party, the fourth night was TRL Night, and finally, the fifth night was The Perfect Fan Prom Night.

That let the girls know what kind of things to go shopping for when they went back to Nordstroms in the morning. Julie said she thought all the female fans would be running around in their underwear and naughty nighties, but she would go in her Mickey Mouse PJ's. Aj blushed at the thought, remembering the first time he saw those pajamas. Nick saw the look on AJ's face and inquired.

"Nothing, bro. Don't worry about it." AJ said.
"They must be amazingly skimpy for you to make that face," Nick teased.
"Not really. They are normal pajamas. Pants and a shirt actually." Julie said.
"Then, why...." Nick stopped mid sentence, as if he understood.
Julie blushed.
"Nothing happened when I wore those," She pointed out.
Kate laughed before she said, "I thought it was the navy slip?"
This caused both AJ and Julie to blush.
"Ok, let's talk about something else, please..." Julie said.


It had taken almost three hours for them to get through dinner, with all the talking as well as the food. Julie was so stuffed she thought she would burst. Kate had eaten enough that she wasn't sure if it was the baby moving, or the food settling.

They all agreed the night had been great, but it was time to go their seperate ways. Julie let them know they would be picking them up at 9:30 in the morning, so they could be at the mall when it opened. After they got their clothing picked out, they would head over to the zoo.

Once at Kate's home, Nick helped Kate out of the Escalade and held her arm as the walked into her house. Once she had the door opened, she turned and waved goodbye to Julie and AJ, who had waited until they made it inside.

Kate went inside, returning her coat to the closet. She saw the light blinking on her answering machine and went and pushed the button.

"Hi,Kate. This is Leah from The Women's Health Clinic calling to confirm your appointment tomorrow at nine am."

"Oh shoot!" Kate exclaimed, "I totally forgot."
"Is it about the baby?" Nick asked, a little worry in his voice.
"Yeah." She sighed, "It's just my monthly check up and ultra sound."
"Oh." He said relieved, "Can I come?"
Kate was surprised. She knew he was still getting use to the idea of becoming a dad.
"Of course." She smiled looking up into his blue eyes for a kiss.
He kissed her softly then she lead him upstairs to get ready for bed.

Kate was exhausted. She crawled in bed next to Nick. He was laying on his back so she turned off the light and snuggled up resting her head on his chest.
They lay there in silence, Nick running his fingers up and down Kate's arm.
"Katy?" Nick asked quietly to see if she was still awake.
"Hm?"
"Why didn't you tell me about the baby?"

Kate's heart pounded. She'd dreading this conversation for four months. She'd hoped he wouldn't ask.
"I'm sorry. I should have told you sooner." She apologized.
He wasn't going to let her get off that easy.
"Did you think you I couldn't handle it?" He said, his voice betraying the hurt he felt.

Kate sat up and turned the light back on. She sat Indian style on the bed facing him.
"At first I wanted to tell you in person." She looked down playing with the blanket. "Then your calls started becoming fewer and farther apart-" She started choking up. "I thought you may never come back but at least I could still talk to you. The longer you were gone the harder it was to tell you. Part of me thought that if you didn't want me then you wouldn't want this one." She said touching her belly, "Part of me thought that if you didn't come back that you didn't deserve to know."

Her comment hit him like a blow to the stomach. He had been thinking all day about why she hadn't told him. If he'd have only known he would have come back sooner.
Kate looked up as she felt him move to sit on the edge of the bed. He leaned over with his elbows on his knees, head in his hands. Kate didn't know what to do. She wanted to reach out to him but she knew she had just hurt him.
"Nick I'm so sorry." She said, tears falling down her cheeks.
"You're right." He said defeated.
"About what?" She asked her heart racing.
"I didn't deserve to know."
He turned back to her, his eyes red and wet with tears.
"I took you for granted." He paused moistening his lips trying to think of the right words.
"I'm sorry Kate. These last few months must have been horrible for you."
Kate shook her head to contradict him.
"I'm not going to fail you again. I'm going to take some time off work and be here for you and our little one."
Kate leaned forward clinging to him. Her whole body trembling.
"I want to be a good father." He whispered into her hair.
She pulled back looking into his eyes.
"There has never been a doubt in my mind that you will make a great Dad." She reassured him.
He smiled gazing into her beautiful face.
Kate couldn't suppress the yawn that escaped.
"Let's get some sleep." Nick said crawling back in next to Kate.
She turned of the light and let him spoon up behind her. He rested his hand on her belly. Kate fell asleep quickly but Nick lay awake most of the night watching her.
He didn't deserve her. He knew that. She was amazing. So strong yet able to let him take care of her. She seemed to see things so much more simply than him. If only he had met her sooner, maybe he wouldn't have gotten so messed up. No that's not true. He wouldn't even noticed her back then and definitely wouldn't have appreciated her. Brian was right, God brings you the right person when you are ready for them. He was ready. He wasn't looking for her but he knew she was the one. She was unmistakable.

Chapter 6 - Monday by Dark-Hunter

Kate's alarm went of at 6am. Burning Up was playing in the CD player. She turned it off as quickly as possible.
"Nice." Nick said, his voice gravelly with sleep.
"Go back to sleep," Kate whispered.
"Where are you going?" he asked.
"Potty."
Nick rolled over going back to sleep. Kate slipped into her jeans and headed downstairs. She booted up her laptop and fed the animals. She sat at her computer and emailed her boss.

"Having some family emergency issues and need to go out of town for the week. My optechs have switched to the schedule they will use during my maternity leave. Hoping to be back in a week."

Ok, so it wasn't exactly an emergency, but she didn't think he'd buy the whole "my boyfriend showed up and wants to take me on a cruise with him" story.
She send a text to Julie to let her know she'd meet her at the mall after her appointment, before heading upstairs to get in the shower.

Nick woke up hearing Kate singing in the shower. She was singing a Capella and he was impressed. He got up, walking quietly into the bathroom. He rose up on his toes peeking over the shower door. Kate jumped when she saw him.
"Nickolus Gene Carter! What the hell do you think you're doing?"
He laughed.
"I like you wet and naked," he teased before stepping away from the shower.
She finished rinsing off and turned off the water. He held a towel out for her and she stepped into it and his warm embrace. He held her for a minute before she began to shiver.
"Ok, I have to get dressed now." Kate pointed out.

Nick took his shower and they were soon on their way to the doctor. Kate drove her Ford f 150 into town.
"This is a nice truck!" Nick commented.
"Thanks."
"Do you drive this all the time?"
"No. I have a corolla too. It gets better gas mileage."
"So... Why are we taking this?"
"I thought your long legs would fit better." She smirked.
"Ah, babe you're so sweet." he sid is a smartass voice.
She laughed.

When they arrived at the doctor's office, Nick started getting nervous. Kate led the way in and signed in. She took a seat in the waiting room and patted the one next to her for him to join her. It wasn't long till her name was called and Nick followed her back to the exam room. He wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans while Kate sat on the table.
"You alright?" Kate asked.
"Nervous." He replied.
"Why?"
"I don't know. I've never liked doctor's offices. I guess cause when you're a kid every time you go you get a shot."
Kate laughed, "Well don't worry. I won't let them shoot you."
This made him smile.
There was a knock on the door and the Doctor entered. She was in her late 30's with curly red hair. She was wearing a white lab coat.
"Well Kate, I see you brought someone with you today." The doctor smiled at Nick.
"Dr. Clark I'd like you to meet my boyfriend Nick. Nick this is my doctor Laura Clark."
Nick shook her hand.
"Dr. Clark is a big BSB fan." Kate explained.
The doctor blushed.
"I always had a thing for Kevin." She admited before turning to Kate, "So how are you feeling?"
"Good. Starting to tired more easily now. But no morning sickness anymore so that's good."
"Good."
She checked Kate over before pulling up the ultrasound machine. Kate laid back on the table, pulling up her shirt. She gasped as the cold gel was applied to her belly.
Nick watched from his seat in the corner, fascinated. When he heard the whoosing sound of the baby's heart he stood up, moving closer to Kate. She took his hand as they watched the monitor. The doctor pointed out the various parts of the baby.
"Do you know if it's a boy or a girl yet?" He asked.
"It's a little early to tell. Probably we'll know next month."
"But it's healthy?" He asked.
"Yes everything looks normal. Kate is in good health so everything is right on track."

She printed the picture before putting away the ultrasound machine.
"Well, I guess we'll see you next month unless you have any problems?" Dr Clark said.
"Oh is it ok for her to fly?" Nick asked.
"Well I don't recommend a long flight but if it's in the states she should be fine till her third trimester. So where are you taking her?"
"On the BSB cruise."
"Oh well in that case, I recommend she travels with her doctor in case she has any questions."She laughed.
"If I could find an extra room I'd do it."
"I'm just teasing," Dr Clark said, "She'll be fine."
"Thanks Doc" Nick said as the doctor walked out.
"I like her." He told Kate.
"Yeah she's funny."
"Did you tell her I was the father?"
"Not for a long time. I don't think she believed me till now. Oh what time is it?" She said, remembering that she is suppose to meet Julie.
"10:15."
"Crap we gotta go!"

Kate checked out, paying her copay and headed out to the truck. The doctor's office wasn't far from the mall so they arrive in no time.

Julie was already in the dressing room when they arrive. Kate rushed in to catch up on assembling her wardrobe.

Nick took a chair next to AJ, who was sitting outside the dressing room.
"Was starting to wonder if you were coming." Alex said.
"Yeah it just took longer than she thought." Nick replied.
"Dude don't you know what a quickie is?" Alex laughed.
Nick smacked his chest. He then reached in his jacket pocket pulling out the pictures from the ultrasound.
"Check this out."
AJ looked over the pictures.
"That's awesome, bro. I'm so happy for you."
"Well I have you to thank for it." Nick said honestly.
"Oh no! I had nothing to do with that!" AJ said pointing at the picture.
Nick looked at him seriously, "If you hadn't call me, I may have totally missed this."
"Oh there would have been other doctor appointments." AJ said shrugging it off.
"No dude, not just the doctor's appointment. If I hadn't come back, Kate wouldn't have told me."
"What do you mean she wouldn't have told you? You mean ever?"
"Ever. I almost missed out on being a dad because I was too busy to pay attention to her. Do you know why I didn't call as much? Because when I'd call she let me go on and on about my life and hardly talk about what was going in with her. After awhile she quit asking when I was coming to see her and I never even noticed."
"Well now that you know you can make it up to her."
"I plan on it. Thanks for calling me though. I'm glad I got a big brother to kick my ass when I need it."
"And don't you forget it!"

Julie already had her formal gown picked out by the time Kate had arrived. She was fighting with her inner self over the latest outfits she was trying on.

“So,” Julie started, trying to get her mind off the frustration she was feeling. “How did the appointment go? Did Nick get to see the baby?”
“Yeah. I wish you could have seen the look on his face when she did the ultrasound. It was so precious. Dr. Clark printed out a picture for him. We still have to wait another month until we find out what sex the baby is.”

Both girls stepped out then, to show each other what they had one.
“Do you want to know what it is?” Julie inquired.
“Well, it would make shopping easier. And it would be helpful when picking out names.”
Julie could see her point, but if it was her, she would want to be surprised,  not know until day the baby came. She looked at Kate. She had on a beautiful dress that was white and very much like a toga.
“Is that for Prom night, or TRL night?” Julie asked.
“TRL, I think. Maybe both if I can’t find something else.”
“No. You can’t wear the same dress twice. I am sure we will find you another one. So, what about this one? Alex is insisting that I need an outfit for each day, not including theme clothing or dinner wear. He is killing me here.”

Kate laughed at Julie. She knew Julie loved to go shopping. It wasn’t the outfits making her frustrated. It was the cost. Julie couldn’t justify spending the amount of money they were about to drop, on a few outfits she wouldn’t get to wear again for over five months, since it was cold and snowy where she lived, unlike Miami, the port the cruise left from.

“That one looks fine. I am sure AJ will love it. Are you going to show him?” Kate asked.
“I wasn’t going to, but, I could use a reassuring kiss.” They both laughed as she walked towards the door out.

AJ and Nick sat at two chairs just to the left side of the door. AJ was closest to the doorway. Julie looked over at him, but he was texting on his phone. She could see the screen was on the Twitter main page. She leaned down close to him, catching him off guard.

“Have you been spotted again?” she whispered into his ear. She saw the goose bumps erupt over his skin. He turned to look at her, their lips so close.
“No, but I want to be. So I just posted to confirm I was out shopping for the cruise.” He leaned in the short distance to kiss her lightly. She stood back up, and put her hands on her hips.
“So, yes or no?” she asked, inquiring about her outfit. He smiled at her, indicating his approval.
“When are we heading to the lingerie department?” he teased.
“Um, we’re not. I am not walking around the boat in my naughties. I already told you I am wearing my Mickey jammies.” She turned and walked back into the dressing room.

“Jewels,” Kate called from her dressing room. “Are you back?”
“Yeah. Alex was teasing me about lingerie again.”
“Have you checked your phone lately?”
“No, been trying on clothes,” Julie said as she stepped into her own dressing room. She picked up her phone from on top of her purse, now curious that Kate would say that.

@SKULLEEROZ: In Omaha, shopping for cruise clothes. Can’t wait for the warm cruise air, it is cold here.


“Any idea what he is doing?” Kate asked.
“I saw him tweeting. When I asked if he had been spotted again he said no, but he wanted to be. I don’t understand him. I told him he needs to be ‘single’ this weekend, since the fans think he is. It makes simple encounters with him, more special to the fans, I think. But here he is, just days from the cruise, hinting that he is not. Why?”
“Can’t help you on that one. Did you read Nick’s most recent Tweet?”
“No, I saw Alex’s and stopped there. Hold on.” Julie read Nick’s tweet.

@NICKCARTER: I have some very exciting news I cannot wait to share. But not yet. Gotta tell family first.

“Holy, shit! Excuse my French. What the hell! Is he gonna tell everyone about the baby?” Julie was mad. Having been a fan of a boy band before and getting to interact with them, she knew that the single ones always seemed to be a more personal encounter. She did not want to take that way from a boat full of girls.

“I don’t know,” Kate said quietly.
“All I can think of is what would happen if a boat load, literally, of crazy women, out in the middle of nowhere, find out that Nick’s knocked up fan girlfriend, is on board!”
“Yeah,” Kate replied, still quiet. “Maybe we shouldn’t go after all.”
“Good luck with that one. I don’t think Nick is planning out letting you out of his sight.” Julie had put her normal clothes back on. “I will be right back.”

She opened her dressing room door and went out to the guys. She went straight to Nick and leaned down, putting her hands on either side of the arm rests, looking him in the eyes. Both guys looked at her curiously.

“We need to talk. Can you take a walk with me?”
Nick looked over at AJ, hoping for an explanation. AJ just shrugged his shoulders indicating he had no clue. Julie stood back up and stepped back, giving him room to stand up. Julie turned to AJ.
“We will be back in a minute. If Kate comes out to get an opinion on an outfit, give it to her.”


Nick walked a few steps behind Julie as she headed towards the small café in the store. Not that AJ couldn’t heard what she was going to say, it would actually be good for him, but Kate would get mad if she overheard, or came out to find them all gone. So AJ would get his ear full later.

Julie turned around to look at Nick, as she didn’t feel his presence close. She smiled reassuringly at him, as he still looked confused and now concerned. She stopped to allow him to catch up. They didn’t talk until they were sitting at a small café table.

“Is everything okay? Is Kate alright?” The concern in his voice warmed her heart. She hated to rain on his parade, but he wasn’t thinking clearly.

“Kate is fine. More or less.”
“More or less, what does that mean?”

Julie placed her elbows on the small table and leaned in ever so slightly.

“I am so glad that you are happy about this situation, but I think you are jumping the gun. “

He still looked confused. He cocked his head to the side, about to say something when Julie put her hand up to stop him.

“Hear me out. If we go on this cruise...” she started, but he interrupted her.
“You guys are going.”
“Fine. While on this cruise, if the fans finds out that you’re going to be a dad and the mother of your unborn child is on the ship, they will bother every single pregnant woman on that boat trying to find her. And if they do, what then? Her trip will be miserable.”
Nick looked down at his hands as they rested on the table. He let out a deep sigh before he looked back up at Julie.

“You’re right. Once again I am not looking into what is best for her. I am being selfish.”

Julie reached out and touched one of his hands, giving him a sympathetic squeeze. She didn’t mean to upset him. But Kate was her best friend and she had to look out for her. Even if it meant over stepping some boundaries.

“Once the cruise is over, and with Kate’s consent, tell the world. Scream it from the rooftops. But wait until she is not confined on a little boat with nowhere to run. Please.”

He smiled at her, understanding her concern. She was just doing what any best friend would do. He stood up, walked over to Julie and offered her a hand to help her up. When she stood, he pulled her into his arms for a very brotherly hug.

Chapter 7 - Monkeys by Dark-Hunter

MONKEYS

 

Nick and Julie started to head back to the ladies department when a group of girls came running over. There were six of them and two had on Backstreet Boys concert shirts. They looked to be in their late teens or early twenties. Julie started to move herself in front of Nick, but he put his hand on her shoulder to stop her.

“It’s okay," he said to Julie, before turning to the girls. “Wow. You found me. That was fast.”

One girl stepped forward. She had long dark brown hair and thick black eyeliner. Her low cut top was hot pink.

“It really wasn’t that hard. There are only three malls around here and one of them doesn’t have any anchor stores. So it came down to here and Oakview. And, well, this one has higher end shops.”
It was then she really noticed Julie. She scowled at her then looked at Nick. “Please tell me this is not your big announcement. We were wondering why you were in Omaha.”

Nick laughed and smiled at the girl. He put his arm around Julie’s shoulder.

“This is Julie. She is a dear friend of the family. So, no. This is not my big announcement.”

One of the other girls stepped up. She had on a BSB 2010 This Is US Tour shirt. Her dark brown curls were bouncy as she stepped up.

“Where's AJ? Isn’t he here too?” She looked around frantically searching for him. It actually made Julie blush.

“He's here somewhere. Still shopping I'm sure. Julie and I went to get something to drink,“ he lied.
After the talk he had just had with Julie he really didn't want these girls to know about Kate. Julie was right. Now that he was presented with a chance to share his big news, he realized he really wasn’t ready to share such an intimate piece of his life with strangers.

The others got closer, wanting to take pictures and get his autograph. While he was busy, Julie pulled out her phone and sent texts to both AJ and Kate, warning them to stay put, she was reluctant to leave him alone with these stalker fans.

The girls wanted to know where else he had planned to go, but he was elusive about any info he could. He pointed out that he needed to get back to his shopping for the cruise, so could they please excuse him.

Julie and Nick started to walk back towards the woman’s department, but when it seemed the girls were not going to leave him alone, he decided it wasn’t worth the risk to Kate. Julie leaned in and suggested he take Kate’s truck and head to her house.

“I will get the others and we will pick you up. The address should be in her GPS. Otherwise, they might continue to follow you.”
He agreed, but before he left, he took out his wallet and took out a Visa card. He handed to Julie. She tried to protest, but he argued that he needed to take care of Kate. But Julie had something to point out.

“Nick, they won’t take it without you there. Credit card fraud… hello.”
“Damn it.”
“Listen I'll go get Kate and you head to the men’s department. You are supposed to be shopping after all. I will get Kate to get all her purchases to the counter. Then we'll take her back to my house. After you ditch the stalkers you can go pay for her stuff. Then take her truck and meet us at my house."

"Only two problems with that," he pointed out.
Julie looked confused.
"I have no truck keys and I have no idea how to get to your house."
Julie laughed. She was thinking so far ahead she completely forgot that.
"Oh yeah you might need those. Well, I can have Kate leave the keys with her clothes and her truck has a GPS. I'll have her text you the address."

He finally agreed, realizing she was right. They split up casually like she was going shopping on her own. Julie looked back to see the girls following slowly behind him, giving him space, but keeping an eye on him. She shook her head. Some people had no lives.

AJ stood as soon as Julie came into view. He opened his arms for her, kissing her gently as she stepped into them. He laughed as he held her. She looked into his dark eyes. She could just stare at him forever, the way he was looking at her.

“So why did you want us to stay put?”
“There were six fans that found us.”
“Okay. That’s no big deal. Easy enough handle.”
“Not when we don’t want them to know about Nick being a daddy. One look at Kate and Twitter would explode. That’s why I wanted to talk to Nick. So he would shut up about the baby until the cruise is over. No one needs to know we are on the ship. Or that we even exist, yet.”

He kissed her nose. He understood where she was coming from, but he also knew Nick was never one for secrets, especially since as a Backstreet Boy things never stayed a secret for long. He and Nick were in the same boat, they both wanted everyone to know about the happiness they had found.

“So what now?” He looked around. “Um, where is Nick?”


Nick grabbed a handful of different shirts and headed to a dressing room. He didn’t need to pick up anything, but he needed to get away so he could call Kate. He went to the stall that was furthest from the doorway and pulled his phone out.

“Hey, beautiful. Did Julie explain to you what is going on?”
“Yeah. Are you okay? You are talking really quiet.”
“I am in a dressing room. Did you get your things picked out?”
“I did, thank you. They are at the counter here. Are you sure you want to split up like this?” she asked, concerned for him.
“Oh, yeah. It’s fine. I just want to do what is best for you. Is Julie’s address in your GPS?” He didn’t need to get lost if there was any chance the girls would follow him.
“I think so. But I will text you the address just in case.”
“Okay. Love you, babe. See you back at Julie’s.” He hung up and continued to sit in the dressing room. He had never been a coward before when it came to fans. Normally he would be right there, in the crowd, enjoying the moment. But right now, it wasn’t about him. It was about Kate. He needed to think of her.


Kate was starting to pace as they waited for Nick to get to the house. AJ insisted they should still go to the zoo, that it would be a good distraction to Kate in the worried state she was getting herself into.

Only a short time later, they saw Kate’s truck turn into Julie’s street. Kate was out the door before he had even pulled into the driveway. She threw her arms around his neck when he shut the truck door. His arms wrapped around her, her little belly pressing against him.

“What is that for?” Nick asked, looking into her eyes.
“I don’t know. I was just worried about you.”
“Babe. I am so use to this. It was nothing. I was more worried about you.” He kissed the top of her head as he looked over at AJ and Julie standing on the deck.
“We still going to the zoo?” Nick inquired.
“Absolutely,” AJ replied. “But you need to get Kate’s things inside first. You don’t want her dress to wrinkle.” He said the last part in a very gay voice. They all started laughing.

About an hour later, they were walking through the main gates at the zoo. Julie explained that to the left was the Desert Dome and Kingdom of the Night and just past that was the monkey house. Straight ahead was the Wild Kingdom and behind that was the Aquarium and Butterfly Pavilion. To the right was the Lied Jungle.

Kate decided they should go to the right, so they headed into the Lied Jungle. Julie, having been to the zoo a million times, pointed out to them all the things she found fascinating. She had them walk across the rope bridge that had a water fall beside it. She stood on the other side and took a picture of them all standing there.

A family walked past and the mom asked if Julie wanted to be in the picture as well. She was so glad the lady offered. Julie ran onto the bridge, causing it to move a lot, as she expected it to. Kate grabbed the sides, yelling at Julie to stop. Julie laughed but Nick was confused.
"She's afraid of heights." Julie explained, "I keep telling her this bridge is safe."
AJ opened his arms to hold her while the lady took the shot. Kate was quick to escape the bridge after the photo.

When they moved through the jungle, Julie continued to take pictures. There was a place that had vines the visitors could hang from and pretend to be monkeys. Both the guys asked the girls to take a picture with their cell phone. They handed them to the girls then proceeded to goof around.

As they walked to another section of the jungle, Julie felt her phone vibrate. She pulled it out and started laughing. Kate looked at her.

“Have you checked your twitter lately?” Julie teased. Kate pulled her phone out of her purse and went to her twitters. She began laughing. Both the guys had posted on twitter that they were ‘Monkeying Around’ before they headed to Miami for the cruise. The pictures they had just taken where posted along with the tweet.

In the jungle, in a separate section, surrounded by glass, was a fast food restaurant. They all were hungry and stopped to get a bite to eat. They discussed skipping the monkey house, since they had seen some monkeys in the jungle and no one really wanted to see the gorillas.

After the jungle, they enjoyed the Butterfly Pavilion and then the Aquarium. Julie wanted to just sit and watch the penguins but the others were moving on. They finished there and went into the Desert Dome.

The upper level was all deserts, and the lower level was dark. When they entered the Bayou in the Kingdom of the Night, Julie turned to Nick.

“Are you home sick yet?” she teased.
He looked at her confused.
“I live in Tennessee, not Louisiana.”
“I was talking about the gators.”
He didn’t get her Florida reference, so she dropped it. AJ got it though, and chuckled to himself.

It was almost four pm when they finished at the zoo.
"So, what should we do for dinner?" Kate asked as they walked back to the Escalade.
"Omg! You're hungry already?" Julie exclaimed.
"No. I was just wondering if we were hanging together or if I was going to have to cook," Kate said defensively.
"How about if I cook?" Nick suggested.
"You cook?" Kate asked surprised.
He laughed.
"Yeah. He's our gourmet chef." AJ said.
"Kate and I'll go to the grocery store and you guys come over in about...2 hours?"
"Sounds good to me." AJ said, a wicked smile creeping over his face.
"Julie, do you have any food allergies." Nick asked.
"No. I'll eat whatever," she said.
"Careful, he may feed you something you never expected." AJ cautioned.
"Hey, as long as he makes it taste good I don't care."


As AJ drove Julie back to her house he pointed out that they had two hours until they needed to be back. Julie felt herself blush at what he was insinuating about, yet she felt her body stir at the thought. She reached over to him, placing her hand high up on his thigh. He gave a gentle squeeze before digging her nails into his tender skin.
“I guess you better drive faster then.”

Kate drove to the grocery store. She pushed the cart as Nick filled it. She was amazed at some of the things he picked up. She had never even thought of buying most of them.

When they returned to the house Nick went to work in the kitchen.
"So you must be fixing something fancy." Kate observed.
He shrugged. "Fancy is all in the presentation."
He looked over his shoulder at her, and then turned to face her.
"After I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, I had to get my weight down, so I started working out and took some gourmet cooking classes."
She smiled at him.
"So I'm sure you were real impressed with my soup and grilled cheese yesterday."
He walked over to her, where she stood, leaning against the counter opposite him, kissing her forehead.
"It was delicious because it was made with love."

Kate decided that they should have a candle light dinner so she set the dining room with a burgundy table cloth and her fancy dishes. She used the wine glasses although there wasn't going to be any alcohol. Somehow drinking out of a pretty glass always made her feel more elegant.

After she finished the table she returned to the kitchen. Nick was standing at the stove stirring various pots and skillets. She walked up behind him wrapping her arms around him. She laid her head against his back.
"Hey baby," he said.
"Hi."
"So I was thinking, I have to head back to Tennessee to pack for the cruise. Do you want to come with me?"
Kate was taken totally off guard. Go to Tennessee? That meant meeting his family. Was she ready for that? Of course, he did talk about them so she felt like she already knew them. Well, if he was going to be part of her life then eventually she'd have to meet them.
"When do we leave?"
"Tomorrow night."
"Tomorrow?!" she exclaimed. "But I'm not even packed!"
He turned around to face her.
"Don't worry I'll help you. Our flight doesn't leave till 6."
Kate groaned. Nick chuckled and turned back to his meal.
"Ok. I'm going upstairs to start packing. Holler if you need anything."

Julie was still breathing deeply, sated from the love making. She rested her head on his chest as his right hand made circles on her back. He used his manicured fingernails to tease her skin. His left hand was resting on her lower back. Julie had her arms wrapped around his waist, listening to his heart beating as hard as her own.
“How are we going to survive on the cruise, being so close to each other but not able to do anything about it?” Julie asked, almost in a whisper.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I plan on making love to you many times over while on that boat.”
Julie looked up at him.
“You promised not to let the fans know about us. Not until the cruise is over. They need to have their special moments. I don’t want to take that away.”
He kissed her forehead.
“I know I promised. So,” he sighed. “I guess we will just have to have a secret affair.”
Julie felt her heart jump. She was now intrigued.
“Secret affair?”
“Yeah. Think about it. We will have to sneak about, in broom closets and bathroom stalls. Any place, anytime, anywhere I can get you alone.”
“I am NOT having sex in a bathroom stall.” Julie laughed. She knew he was teasing but still. “This could be fun…”


Nick had a beautiful meal laid out when Julie and AJ arrived. Kate had lit the candles, creating a romantic atmosphere.
They enjoyed their meal together.
"I can't believe you are going home tomorrow." Julie said sadly.
Alex covered her hand with his.
"Babe, I'll see you in like 3 days. Besides you and Kate will be so busy packing you won't even notice."
"Actually ..." Kate blushed, "I'm going home with Nick tomorrow."
"Oh, no fair! I'm going to be stuck here alone!" Julie whined playfully.
AJ laughed.
"Well I suppose you could come to Cali with me," he said, pretending like it was an inconvenience.
Julie squealed and Kate smiled. She knew Julie would have things much easier than she did, if she encountered AJ’s family. She was just picturing meeting Nick’s.
'Hi I'm Kate and your son knocked me up.'
Oh yeah this was going to go over like a lead balloon.

After dinner, the guys cleaned up the dishes so Julie could help Kate pack. They each had a suitcase on the bed. Julie was packing Kate new clothes while Kate pulled out her regular clothes and toiletries that she could pack.

"I can't believe we are going home with the guys." Julie said, excitedly.
"What's wrong?" she asked, when Kate didn't show any excitement.
"I'm going to meet his family." Kate replied.
"Yeah and..."
"And what am I supposed to say? 'Hi I'm Kate. By the way, I'm carrying Nick's child.’?"
Julie sympathized with her friend. She remembered what Kate went thru when she told her own mom and the lectures she got on being promiscuous.


Kate lay in bed, snuggled against Nick’s warm chest. She felt confident that she had packed everything she needed. She even sat down earlier to write a list of things she might need, just to make sure she didn’t forget a thing. Julie and AJ had stayed until after midnight discussing the cruise.

AJ had shared his idea with Nick about the secret romance. He was all for it and thought it would be sexy.

“It must be a guy thing,” Kate had thought to herself, not understanding what was so thrilling about it. But she had decided to sneak her little yellow nighty in her suitcase. It was snug on her, with her little baby bump, but she knew it wouldn’t matter. She wouldn’t have on for too long.

She could feel Nick breathing slowly, as he had finally fallen asleep. She wished she could do the same. But all she could think about was what would happen when his family met her. Would they welcome her or scorn her? Without lifting her head from his chest, Kate glanced at the clock. It was already 3 am.

Normally, after making love, she would fall right asleep, but not this time. Trying to help ease her mind, Kate began to recall their very first love making session. Rather than helping her sleep, it just got her hot and bothered.

“Damn hormones,” she thought to herself. She didn’t want to wake him, but she couldn’t continue to just lie in his arms. She very carefully slid out of his embrace and went to the bathroom.
She normally would read when she couldn’t sleep, but oddly enough, her body decided she needed a shower. Neither hot nor cold, Kate stepped into the luke warm shower. Her hands gently rubbed over her baby bump as the water ran over his skin.

“Would they like me if I wasn’t pregnant?” she thought to herself. As if her precious cargo knew her thoughts, she felt a little flutter within her. It was then that she realized it didn’t matter. Nick loved her. No, he loved them. Nothing else in the world mattered.

Felling resolved, Kate climbed out of the shower and quickly dried and dressed. She crawled back into bed, curling back up against Nick, and quickly fell asleep.



Chapter 8 - Leaving by Dark-Hunter

LEAVING

 

Julie stretched out her muscles, very much looking like a cat. Alex had already gotten out of bed and was drying from his shower. He laughed when he watched her. His chest tightened every time he looked at her. She was his little angel, in so many ways. She had been the one to save him when he was about to fall. She had come to him pure, and her heart belonged only to him. She was a miracle.

“Good morning, babe.”
“Mmm,” she moaned out. “Morning.” Her voice was barely a whisper.
“Did I wake you?” he asked as he started to get dressed.
“No. I normally don’t sleep this late.” Julie looked over at the clock. It was already 10:30. She stretched again, watching him get dressed. “It’s too bad you’re putting your clothes on,” she said as she pulled her t-shirt over her head and dropped it over the side of the bed and on to the floor.

AJ looked at Julie, her breasts bared to him. She slid off the bed, and headed to the bathroom. He stood there, watching her move, a very sexy shake in her hips meant to tease him. She turned on the shower and looked over her shoulder at him. Her smile melted him.

She stared into his eyes and she slipped her panties off. He felt himself stirring, but knew they had things to do. He stood his ground, knowing that if he took even one step towards her, he would be undone. He let out a deep throated growl. Julie laughed and stepped into the shower.

AJ finished getting dressed and with great restraint, walked out of the bedroom. He went on a search for Julie’s suitcase. He found it in a storage room in her basement. By the time he was back upstairs with it she had finished her shower and was dressed. He was grateful she was dressed. They had a lot to do to get her ready to leave in just a few hours. He didn’t have the time he needed to fully satisfy them both.

Julie smiled at Alex when he brought her suitcase to her. She had seen the hungry look in his eyes before she had showered. It warmed her heart when she thought about what he had done. He was looking out for her. She had not even started packing. And they only had five hours until they had to leave.

They worked together to get her suitcase packed. Julie didn’t want him to see everything she had, so she sent him to the kitchen to make his famous eggs he had told her about. Brian’s wife had taught him to make scrambled eggs with cream cheese instead of butter. She knew that would keep him busy while she got her theme outfits packed.

Luckily, she had hoped to go on the cruise and already had pieces put together. She was most looking forward to 80’s night. She had a wig packed to go with the outfit, so he would have no clue it was her.

Julie glanced at her Mickey Mouse pajamas Alex had put in her pile of things to add. She slipped in the navy nighty as well.
AJ called to her, letting her know the eggs were ready. She quickly closed the suitcase, not wanting him to see what she had packed. She just needed to add her toiletries and her hot rollers. But she would be using them after breakfast, so she kept the suitcase sitting on the bed.

KATE: How about lunch before we go?
JULIE: Sounds like a plan. Any suggestions?
KATE: Somewhere simple, but sit down
JULIE: Chili’s is on the way. Say 2pm?
KATE: Sounds good.

Julie read the texts to AJ as they worked together to clean the dishes. She didn’t want to have to worry about anything like dirty dishes when she got home from the cruise.

“So what is the plan?” she asked, watching him watching her through the mirrors reflection while she did her make up.
“The plan?”
“Yeah. The cruise doesn’t leave port until 4pm on Friday, so when do we head Miami? And what are we gonna do in LA?”
He laughed at her questions.
“Well, we, being us guys, have to be there for the pre-cruise party Thursday night, so we need to be in Miami that morning. By the time we get in to LA, even with the time change, it’s gonna be late. But tomorrow, I thought I would try to take you down to the beach.”

Julie felt her heart tighten. She had been working hard on her swimming, overcoming her fear of having her head under water, but waves and undertow, that was another story.

She finished her make up and took her rollers out, letting the curls cascade down her back. She was trying to get the rollers and things in her bag, but AJ kept trying to look over her shoulder at what she was trying so hard to hide. But Julie managed to get it all in there without him getting a glance.

Soon enough, they were on their way the Kate’s house. AJ let Julie drive, since they had more than one stop and he wanted to chat with Nick. He wouldn’t tell Julie what he wanted to talk about, but she didn’t push it. Kate walked out first, just a small carry on in her hands, along with her purse. Nick was carrying her two suitcases. One was rather large, the other was average size he had his own bag slung over his shoulder with the shoulder strap. AJ jumped out of the Escalade to help Nick. When Kate was moving to open the back door, AJ commented for her to sit up front. She looked at Julie confused. She just shrugging her shoulders, indicating she had no clue either.

Julie drove to the Chili’s restaurant just a few miles from her place. Nick and AJ had talked in hushed tones the way there. The girls didn’t want to seem like they were eavesdropping, even though they wanted to know what was going on, so they talked about who was caring for their animals while they were gone. Unfortunately, the guys were too quiet, and they couldn’t get any information.

Julie pulled into a parking spot right at the front of Chili’s. The place was mostly empty, as the lunch rush had come and gone and the dinner rush was almost three hours away.

The hostess looked at them with

interest, as if she recognized them, yet couldn’t place them. She took them to a booth and let them know their server would be with them shortly.
Just a moment later, a thirty something carrot red headed woman stepped up and asked them what they wanted to drink. She did a double take, looking back and forth at the two guys.

“Woh. I totally just saw you guys, like four months ago, in Kansas City.”
AJ just smiled his wicked grin at her.
“I hope you enjoyed the show.”
“Um, yeah. We were a little envious of the girls that got pulled up stage, but, oh well.” It was then that she looked at the Kate and Julie. “So this is why you guys are in Omaha? The girls you pulled on stage that night?” She sounded excited, rather than upset, which Julie expected.

Nick nodded to the woman before he looked over at Kate. He took her hand.
“I would like to tell you that you are the first person to meet my girlfriend, Kate.” Kate snapped her head to look at him. Fear and shock spread across her face.
“Wow.” She turned to look at Kate. “It’s nice to meet you. So, what can I get you to drink?”
The woman took their drink orders and left to look over the menu. Kate turned to Nick, worried.
“Why did you tell her! I thought we were gonna wait until the cruise is over?”
Nick took her hand and kissed the back of her knuckles. “Babe. I don’t think she twitters, and if I had to guess I would say she is not going on the cruise. And look at it this way; she knows you are a fan, from the same show she was at. So now she will think that there is a chance for any girl, herself included, to be able to date a BackStreet Boy. All I was doing was exactly what you wanted. Giving her a special encounter.”

The server was very friendly and helpful the rest of their time there. She was respectful and didn’t bother them unless it appeared they might need something. Nick was more than glad to leave her a nice tip.

They piled back into the Escalade and Julie drove them to the airport. Once they arrived, they all agreed that it would be easiest to unload the bags at the front door before AJ returned the Escalade. Julie, Kate and Nick wrestled the baggage inside to check in for their flights.
They were all flying Continental Airlines, so that made it easier to get them all to the same place.

AJ and Julie’s flight would be going through Houston and left at 6:05pm. They would be getting into L.A. at 11:30 pm. Julie was tired just thinking about it. Nick and Kate’s flight didn’t leave until 6:30 pm and they were going through Chicago. They would arrive in Nashville at 10:30 pm. Julie was grateful that Kate would get in early enough. The baby made her tired some days.

Nick and Kate had just gotten their bags checked and tickets in hand when AJ joined them. Being first class, they got through the lines rather quickly. It also didn't hurt that it was as small airport, so security was a breeze.

They were already boarding for AJ and Julie’s flight, but they waited until the last minute to get into line. Julie kept asking Kate if she had everything and told her to call her as soon as she got in Nashville safely.

“If you need me, for any reason at all, call me. I may be a few states away, but if things go bad, I will drive all night to kick anyone ass who make you cry.” Julie was still looking out for Kate, even though she had Nick by her side.
He smiled at Julie as he put an arm around Kate’s shoulder.
“Don’t worry. I will personally beat the shit out of any one of my family members if they make her cry. She is in good hands.”
Julie hugged them both before she and Alex turned to get on their plane.
Kate and Nick moved closer to their gate to wait for boarding. It didn't take long for them to begin boarding.

interest, as if she recognized them, yet couldn’t place them. She took them to a booth and let them know their server would be with them shortly.
Just a moment later, a thirty something carrot red headed woman stepped up and asked them what they wanted to drink. She did a double take, looking back and forth at the two guys.

“Woh. I totally just saw you guys, like four months ago, in Kansas City.”
AJ just smiled his wicked grin at her.
“I hope you enjoyed the show.”
“Um, yeah. We were a little envious of the girls that got pulled up stage, but, oh well.” It was then that she looked at the Kate and Julie. “So this is why you guys are in Omaha? The girls you pulled on stage that night?” She sounded excited, rather than upset, which Julie expected.

Nick nodded to the woman before he looked over at Kate. He took her hand.
“I would like to tell you that you are the first person to meet my girlfriend, Kate.” Kate snapped her head to look at him. Fear and shock spread across her face.
“Wow.” She turned to look at Kate. “It’s nice to meet you. So, what can I get you to drink?”
The woman took their drink orders and left to look over the menu. Kate turned to Nick, worried.
“Why did you tell her! I thought we were gonna wait until the cruise is over?”
Nick took her hand and kissed the back of her knuckles. “Babe. I don’t think she twitters, and if I had to guess I would say she is not going on the cruise. And look at it this way; she knows you are a fan, from the same show she was at. So now she will think that there is a chance for any girl, herself included, to be able to date a BackStreet Boy. All I was doing was exactly what you wanted. Giving her a special encounter.”

The server was very friendly and helpful the rest of their time there. She was respectful and didn’t bother them unless it appeared they might need something. Nick was more than glad to leave her a nice tip.

They piled back into the Escalade and Julie drove them to the airport. Once they arrived, they all agreed that it would be easiest to unload the bags at the front door before AJ returned the Escalade. Julie, Kate and Nick wrestled the baggage inside to check in for their flights.
They were all flying Continental Airlines, so that made it easier to get them all to the same place.

AJ and Julie’s flight would be going through Houston and left at 6:05pm. They would be getting into L.A. at 11:30 pm. Julie was tired just thinking about it. Nick and Kate’s flight didn’t leave until 6:30 pm and they were going through Chicago. They would arrive in Nashville at 10:30 pm. Julie was grateful that Kate would get in early enough. The baby made her tired some days.

Nick and Kate had just gotten their bags checked and tickets in hand when AJ joined them. Being first class, they got through the lines rather quickly. It also didn't hurt that it was as small airport, so security was a breeze.

They were already boarding for AJ and Julie’s flight, but they waited until the last minute to get into line. Julie kept asking Kate if she had everything and told her to call her as soon as she got in Nashville safely.

“If you need me, for any reason at all, call me. I may be a few states away, but if things go bad, I will drive all night to kick anyone ass who make you cry.” Julie was still looking out for Kate, even though she had Nick by her side.
He smiled at Julie as he put an arm around Kate’s shoulder.
“Don’t worry. I will personally beat the shit out of any one of my family members if they make her cry. She is in good hands.”
Julie hugged them both before she and Alex turned to get on their plane.
Kate and Nick moved closer to their gate to wait for boarding. It didn't take long for them to begin boarding.

Chapter 9 - Nashville by Dark-Hunter

 

NASHVILLE

 

Although first class boarded first Kate and Nick were some of the last people on the plane.
Kate had to make one last trip to the ladies room while Nick watched her carry on.

As they settled in their seats the stewardess asked if they like anything to drink before take-off. Kate declined but Nick ordered a soda.
Kate tucked her bag under the seat in front of her. She leaned back in the seat sighing.
"So what do you think?" Nick asked.
"These seats are comfortable." Kate replied.
Nick was happy he was able to take Kate first class. He knew she was nervous to meet his family but he knew she'd be totally accepted, especially when his mom found out Kate was pregnant. She had just been talking last week about him settling down.
Tonight she would only meet Aaron though. Tomorrow he had Aaron invite everyone over for a BBQ so he could introduce Kate to the family.
After a short layover in Chicago they boarded their flight to Nashville.
The flight was only a couple of hours but Kate fidgeted the whole time. When the captain announced their descent into Nashville International, Kate took a deep breath to calm herself.
Nick took her hand, interlacing their fingers.
"They're going to love you, you know."
"Maybe." Kate replied.
He pulled her hand to his lips kissing the back of it.
"I love you and that's what will matter most to them."
She smiled at him, "I love you too."

Aaron was waiting outside security to give them a ride home. Nick gripped his hand and bumped shoulders with him.
"Hey Dude, how was your flight?" Aaron asked.
"Good. Aaron I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Kate. Kate my brother Aaron."
Aaron stuck out his hand to Kate.
"Hi Kate. Glad I finally get to meet you. Nick talks about you nonstop."
"None of its true. I assure you." She laughed, shaking his hand.
Aaron laughed.
"I like her, she's funny." Aaron said.
"Yeah well looks aren't everything." Kate said shrugging.
Both guys burst out laughing.
"So you got checked bags?" Aaron asked.
"Kate does." Nick replied.

Aaron led the way to baggage claim. Nick and Kate were a few steps behind him. He put his arm around her shoulder pulling her close and kissing the top of her head.
"See, I told you they'd like you," he said quietly.
"It's not Aaron I was worried about." Kate explained.
"Then who?"
"Your mom."
"My mom? Why would you worry about what my mom thinks of you?"
"Because my mom has barely spoken to me since I told her," she said quietly, her voice catching.
Nick pulled her to a stop and turned to face her.
"What?"
Kate shrugged.
"Don't worry she'll get over it. It's just been hard being alone. That's why I moved to Omaha. At least I'd have Jewels."
She turned and started walking to where Aaron was waiting by the baggage car carousel.
They got both of Kate's suitcases and headed back to Nick and Aaron's house.
Nick gave her the grand tour. The house was beautiful and amazingly clean. It was a restored farmhouse. The entry way brought you into a large living room furnished in a comfortable couch and recliner. A big screen tv was mounted on the wall with various gaming equipment below it. On another wall was a fireplace.
"Dude did you hire a maid?" Nick asked looking around.
"No. But I didn't want Kate to know what a slob you are." Aaron teased him.
"Me? I've hardly been here." Nick objected.
Kate laughed as Nick gave Aaron a nuggie. Aaron struggled pushing his big brother away.
"Come on," he said, reaching for Kate's hand, "I'll show you the rest of the house."
He led her though the formal dining room with an oval, oak table.
To the left, off the dining room, was a bedroom that the guys had converted to the music room. Off to the right was another bedroom that belonged to Aaron.
Straight thru the dining room was the kitchen. The oak cabinets had been refurbished and the appliances were all made of stainless steel. Off to the right of the kitchen was a hall that led down to a full bath and a flight of stairs.
Nick held her hand as they climbed the steep steps. There was only one door at the top of the stairs. Inside was a large bedroom. Nick's king size bed had a carved oak headboard with his family crest carved into it. He had a couple of guitars on stands in the corner next to a wooden chair that matched the dining chairs.
The wall opposite the bed had large windows that over looked the property. Unfortunately it was too dark to see anything.
Kate looked around at his room. It was simply decorated. A comfy chair sat in the wall near the bed with a tv opposite it. A few framed pictures and posters hung on the wall.
Nick watched her he knew she was tired. He could see it on her face and in the way her shoulders drooped.

"I'll go get your bags so you can get ready for bed," he said.
"Thanks," she smiled gratefully, suppressing a yawn. "I just need the smaller one."

Kate flopped down on his bed after he left and sighed. She was so tired. Why did she get herself all worked up? She really needed to work on not worrying about things she couldn't control.

When Nick returned a few minutes later Kate was asleep. He smiled down at her. She was lying across the bed with her feet still in the floor and one arm above her head. She woke up as he tried to remove her shoes.
"I'm sorry," she said sitting up.
"There's nothing to be sorry about. Come on let's get you undressed and we can go to sleep."
Kate stripped down and crawled into bed. She was asleep before Nick could even crawl in beside her.
He spooned up behind her his hand resting in its favorite place, on her belly.


Kate woke up in the morning curled up against Nick's chest. The warm musky smell of him filled her, relieving the worry she had felt about meeting his family.

She laid there for several minutes before quietly slipping from the bed. She grabbed some things from her suitcase before heading in for a shower. The water felt good. She'd never taken a shower that had multiple shower heads.
After her shower she combed out her lengthening hair and stepped out in the bedroom to dress.
Nick was still asleep. She slipped into the jeans she wore on the plane and a red Hawaiian shirt she had packed. The shirt clung to her baby bump but she fully intended to change before Nick's family arrived.
She walked over to the large windows overlooking the large corner lot that had a creek running thru it. A path led down from the front door and across a wooden foot bridge into a beautiful garden.
Nick walked up behind her wrapping his arms around her. She smiled.
"No wonder you love it here," she said leaning her head back against him.
"My room never looked as good as it does with you in it."
She sighed contentedly then shooed him off for a shower. She headed downstairs to see about breakfast. She smiled seeing the Keurig coffee maker on the counter. The packets were in a box next to it so she started a cup for him.
She scrounged around till she came up with eggs, bacon and toast.
Aaron stumbled into the kitchen in just a pair of sweat shorts, rubbing his eyes.
"Do I smell coffee?"
She smiled handing him the cup she made for Nick and started another. He took it sitting at the small cafe table in the kitchen.
"So why are we up so early?" he asked.
Kate looked at the clock on the stove.
"It's 11 o'clock. It's not early."
He groaned thumping his head on the table. Nick came around the corner.
"Dude what are you doing up this early?"
"According to Kate it's not early," Aaron said sarcastically.
Nick laughed.
Kate made the guys move to the dining table for breakfast since there were only 2 chairs at the kitchen table.
"So what's the plan?" she asked.
"What time is everyone coming over?" Nick asked Aaron.
"I told them to be here at five so you know they'll be here about six."
Nick shook his head.
"Ok so we have a few hours this morning. I can show you the town and my favorite hang outs."

They spent the late morning and early afternoon exploring Nashville. Nick showed her where he recorded his latest cd and the clubs he played at. He took her to Metro Riverfront Park and they walked along the river discussing baby names.
"Well I think if it's a boy it should be Nickolus Jr.," Nick said.
"I don't think so."
"Why?" Nick whined
"Because I don't want to call him Nick Jr. It reminds me of the nickelodeon channel.”
Nick laughed.
"Ok what do you want to name him?"
"I want to name her Audrey Grace."
Nick scrunched up his nose.
"Kinda old fashioned don't you think?"
"It's for my favorite actress, Audrey Hepburn."
"Oh." Nick said, mulling it over. "Ok I could see that."
They discussed other possible names as they strolled thru the park.

They returned to Nick's house by four. They had stopped at the grocery store on the way back to restock the house and get food for the BBQ. Kate's idea of a BBQ was hamburgers and hotdogs but Nick bought ribs and steak and corn on the cob. When he picked up a bottle of red wine Kate looked at him crossly.
He laughed, "Don't worry it's just to marinate the steak."

Kate helped him bring the groceries in the house before heading upstairs to freshen up.
Aaron came in from the living room to help start cooking.
"So ya think ya bought enough food?" Aaron asked.
"Well it’s a lot of people," Nick said dumping ingredients into a bowl to make his marinade. "So what do you think of Kate?"
"She's cool. A little chubby for my tastes, but funny."
Nick smacked him, "She's not chubby."
Aaron raised an eyebrow.
"Well she's not one of the strung out girls I use to date. I like it she's got some meat in her bones."
"Something to hang onto while you’re getting your groove on."
"Dude!" Nick scolded.
Aaron just laughed.

Kate came downstairs an hour later.
She was wearing her black and white sundress. She had exchanged the cloth belt for a longer wider black ribbon that camouflaged her belly better. She had no idea if Nick intended to tell his family or not but she was going to be prepared either way.
He was working in the kitchen jamming out to a radio that sat on top of the fridge. Aaron was just outside tending the BBQ.

"Wow you look great!" he said when he saw her.
"Is there anything I can do to help?" she asked.
He looked around at the mess he'd created.
"No I think I've got it." He said, putting the marinate bowl in the sink.
Kate walked over to the sink and started working on the dishes.
"Babe, I'll clean those up when I'm done. Don't worry about it."
"I don't mind. It gives me something to do."

Aaron came in thru the kitchen heading to the front door. He returned a minute later with a short blonde girl. Kate noticed their interlaced fingers as they held hands.
"Who's this?" Nick asked.
"This is my girlfriend Stacie. This is my brother Nick and his girlfriend Kate." Aaron introduced.

Nick wiped his hands in his pants before shaking her hand while Kate just waved a soapy hand from across the room where she as still washing dishes.

Stacie blushed as she shook hands with Nick before heading outside with Aaron. When the door closed behind them, Kate giggled.
"What so funny?" Nick asked.
"She's a BSB fan."
He looked at her confused, "How can you tell?"
"She blushed when you touched her."
He moved behind her, pressing his body up against her back.
"You use to blush when I touched you too." He whispered against her neck.
"Yeah then I got knocked up," she laughed.
He stepped back smacking her butt.
"That'll teach you to flirt with a rock star."

Nick's family trickled in between 5 and 6. Kate was a little shocked at the amount of noise his family could create. They had all eaten outside gathering around picnic tables and in lawn chairs.
Kate had found out that her fears were unnecessary. She had been readily accepted into the Carter Clan.
Nick came up behind Kate's chair leaning over to whisper to her.
"Do you mind if I tell them?" he asked.
"Of course not."
Nick stood up pulling Kate to her feet. She stood beside him while he whistled to get everyone's attention. He wrapped an arm around Kate' waist.
"I wanted to thank you guys for coming tonight and welcoming Kate into our family."
There were shouts of "welcome" from the crowd.
"We wanted to get y'all together to let you know that Kate and I are expecting."
There was a hush as jaws dropped and the family was rendered speechless.
Nick's mother, Jane came over and pulled Kate into a fierce hug. Then everyone started talking at once. Nick and Kate were pulled apart as the family congratulated them.
"Well I think this deserves some cake," Aaron said.

He went in the kitchen returning with a beautifully decorated chocolate cake.
"You bought a cake?" Nick asked.
"No," he said proudly putting his arm around Stacie.
"Stacie made it."

Nick's family stayed till after ten and Kate was exhausted. She knew that they had to be up early to fly to Florida. She caught herself dozing off a few times in the lawn chair.

BJ, Nick’s sister, was the first to head out saying she had to work in the morning. The rest of the family followed. They all gave Kate their numbers so she could keep them updated with baby news. Jane was especially excited because this would be her first grandchild.

Aaron said that he would clean up tomorrow so Nick and Kate could get some sleep as the couple headed upstairs for the night.
"So, what time do we need to leave here?" Kate asked.
"Our flight is at 12:15 so... An hour at the airport plus drive time. So we should leave here between 10:30 and 10:45."
"So I need to get up around nine." She said after a mental calculation. "Unless I shower tonight then I can sleep till 9:30."
Nick raised an eyebrow. "We could have a bath," he said seductively.
Kate smiled, "Don't get the water too hot."

They were soon laying in a relaxing bath. Kate was between Nick's legs, her head lying back in his shoulder. He had a wash cloth that he was rubbing gently over her body. It wasn't really getting her clean but it did feel relaxing.
"So what happens tomorrow?" Kate asked.
"Tomorrow we fly to Florida and BSB has a pre cruise party that we're hosting."
"Ok, maybe I should rephrase that. What do I do tomorrow?" She tried again.
"You're coming with me," Nick said.

"I know but I thought we were keeping things on the down low till after the cruise."
"Oh I see. Um I guess I didn't plan that far ahead. Hang on."
He grabbed his phone that was sitting on the edge of the tub next to Kate's.

NICK: Any idea how we're getting the girls on the boat without them being with us?"
ALEX: Nope. Hoping you have a plan.
NICK: What time do you arrive?"
ALEX: 3
NICK: Ok I'll have a car take them to the hotel.
ALEX: What about the party?
NICK: I thought it was at the hotel in the ballroom?
ALEX: Should we get them separate rooms?
NICK: Na we have to go from the airport to the radio station for the promo first so no one will notice them as long as we don't enter or exit at the same time.
ALEX: Good plan see ya tomorrow.

Nick and AJ relayed the plan to Kate and Julie. The girls would meet up at the airport so the guys could 'look single' when they arrived.

Kate and Nick were snuggled up in bed by the time they had everything figured out.
"Nick?" Kate said as her head lay on his chest.
"Hm?"
"Would you do me a favor?"
"Anything." He replied sleepily.
"Starting tomorrow till the cruise is over I want you to just be a Backstreet Boy."
"Honey I'm always a Backstreet Boy."
"I know, I just..." She paused trying to find the right words.
"We've been thru a lot this week and I don't want to you to worry about what I'll think if you kiss a fan or whatever."
"I have no intention of kissing the fans," he said his hand running up and down her back.
She tilted her head back to look at him.
"I just don't want you to spend the cruise worrying about what I think."
"Thanks baby. I appreciate it. But I have no intention of doing anything other than hugging the fans."

They both drifted off to sleep.

Chapter 10 - Burbank by Dark-Hunter
Author's Notes:

The description of Alex's house is his real house! Not that I am a creapy stalker or anything *blush* but I found detailed information about his house (Its on the market right now)

 

Being that it was LAX, and many stars came through the airport daily, she was surprised there was no paparazzi around. She was truly grateful. AJ had left his black car in the parking garage, so as soon as they had their suitcases, they were headed to the garage.
Alex’s home was only 25 minutes away, in a suburb of Burbank. Julie held her breath as they drove up to a beautiful three story Mediterranean home. It was too dark to be able to see the color, but it looked terra cotta.

He didn’t pull into one of the two garages, just into the driveway. He was out of the car and around to her side before she had her seatbelt off. AJ wanted to be a gentleman and open the door for her. When she stood, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her with a great passion.

“Welcome to my home,” he whispered against her lips. When he let her go they went to the trunk and pulled out their suitcases. Julie wished she had thought of packing a small carry on or a duffle bag, so she didn’t have to lug the huge suitcase in for only 36 hours at his place.

“Why don’t I take yours and you take mine,” Alex suggested. His suitcase was half the size of hers. They took the few steps up to the front door and when he opened, Julie was taken back. The entry way alone was beautiful. To the left was a set of small stairs leading down to a living room. It was dark so she couldn’t see any details. In front of her were stairs leading up to the second floor. They set the suitcases at the foot of the staircase.

Julie looked around at the great room. She was in awe. Not so much because of the house, but the things he had in it. She knew he liked the antique look, but she didn’t realize so much of his personal belongings were actually antique. It was a mixture of gothic style and renaissance. She knew there was a reason she liked him so much. She had a love of the renaissance period as well as antiques in general.

They stood in another living room. The dining room was a part of it and the gourmet kitchen was off to the right. She could see that there was an island in the middle. Julie stepped up to the table and ran her hand over the top. It was beautiful. It sat eight people. The legs were carved, with roaring lion’s heads. It was breathtaking.
AJ stepped up behind her. His arms went around her waist.

“This table was in the movie ‘The Haunted Mansion’. The one with Eddie Murphy. When I saw it at auction I had to have it.”
Julie turned her head to be able to look at him. His deep brown eyes smiled at her.
“Do you wanna see more?”

She just smiled at him. That was enough of an answer for him. He took her hand and showed her the kitchen, with a cute little breakfast nook in the corner. Alex then took her down the hall, showing her the office and extra bathroom before he took her to his room.

In the center of the large room, was a very old looking four poster bed, complete with bed curtains, full enough to be able to enclose the bed. Julie stepped closer, looking longingly at the bed. He didn’t miss the look in her eyes.

He stepped up to her, moving her hair out of the way so he had access to her neck. He leaned down and began trailing kisses along her warm skin. Julie felt the goose bumps go up into her hairline. She was tired, but the moment his lips touched her, her body instantly changed its mind about sleeping.

Julie turned around to face him. Alex’s arms went around her neck, his hands finding their way into her hair. She normally wore it up, so he was reveling in the ability to run his fingers through. He gave a handful a gentle tug, causing her head to go back and her throat to be exposed. His kisses resumed, from her throat to the neckline of her shirt. When he couldn’t go any lower, he grabbed the hem of her shirt and pulled it over her head.

His hunger was very apparent in the way her clothing was coming off before she even had a chance to think about it. She stood before him, completely naked, not one bit ashamed or embarrassed. She reached for him, grabbing his grey tee shirt. When she pulled it over his head, it took his black knitted hat with it. She dropped it to the floor, to let it join her clothing.

When she took hold of his skull belt buckle, she could see the material of his black jeans pulled tight over his bulging erection. She let her knuckles gently skim over him as she worked slowly on the buckle. Alex sucked in his breath, needing her to touch him. He was getting impatient as she took she time unzipping his jeans, one tooth at a time.

Julie slid his pants over his beautiful backside, letting her hands linger for a moment. She knew she was tormenting him, but that was part of the fun. Lowering herself and the jeans, they moved past him knees and went to his ankles. His boots were still on. She thought it would be funny to leave him like that. So she stood back up, slowly, letting her breasts rub against his already sensitive skin.

He had started this, but she was going to take over. She stepped back and moved around him. As he pivoted to face her his back was now to the bed. Julie gave a laugh as she shoved him, causing him to fall back onto the bed. He laughed in return. His jeans had tripped him up, just as Julie had hoped. He moved up the bed a little, so the backs of his knees hit the edge of the mattress. His hands went to the back of his head as she walked up to him.

Julie straddled him on the bed. When his hands went for her, she pushed them away. She leaned down, putting one hand on either side of his head, getting her lips close to his ear.

“You have to keep your hands under your head. No touching me,” she whispered. She didn’t know where this brazenness had come from. She had never been so bold when they were at her house. A sound of frustration rumbled within him.

Julie hovered over him, just a breath away from his skin, torturing them both. She ran her hands across his chest, using a little pressure with her nails. He sucked in his breath when she made sure to go over his sensitive nipples.

She brought her lips so close to his, teasing him more. But he had a thought of his own. He lifted his head up, causing their lips to collide. Julie’s hands went to his cheeks to hold him as she devoured him, his tongue doing what he wanted his hands to do, explore her.

Julie lowered herself so she could feel the soft tip of him, pressing ever so lightly against her sensitive core. She went a little lower, letting him enter her ever so slightly, and then putting away again. She laughed as his hands came out from under his head to reach for her again. She pushed them away.

“Back under your head, Boy,” she teased. “You don’t want me to have to tie them down, do you?” His eyebrow shot up. He was not expecting this from her. It was rather thrilling. So he put his hands back, lacing the fingers first, to help keep his hands in place.

Julie went back to exploring his body. Right now, it was all hers. She could do anything she wanted to him. Mostly, she just sated her curiosity. Her hands slid up and down his arms, tracing the beautiful art work he had. Her nails gently slid down the sides of his body, feeling each rib as her fingers moved. She brought her hands inward, towards his belly button. She traced the tattoo he had surrounding it, then moved to follow his happy trail lower. He growled deep as her fingertips went outward, missing his most sensitive organ.

Alex didn’t know how much more he could take when her fingertips went up and down the insides of his thighs. She gently cupped his sac, giving a light squeeze. He sucked in his breath when she blew her warm breath across the mushroom shaped head. It moved of its own accord, causing her to giggle.

Julie moved back up, so that she could look into his eyes again. The fire in his eyes told her that he had had just about all he could take. So she got positioned above him and impaled herself upon him, all the way to the hilt.

He lost his control, and his hands went right to her waist. Her hands ran up through her hair, in an attempt to get it out of her eyes. The pressure from his fingers was intense, but not painful. He bucked underneath her, driving himself as deep as he could go. She rode him, milking his body, squeezing him with muscles she didn’t know she had. His hands left her waist to move upwards to her heaving breasts.

Alex loved watching her, as she moved. She had taken control in a very passionate way, when he had only before seen the innocence of her. He had changed her. Her body and soul had only loved him. He smiled to himself when he thought of the fact that she was the first one his heart had truly loved. It wasn’t just about the sex, as it had been with others.

Julie cried out as her body exploded. She continued to ride out the pleasure until his hands went back to her waist and he took control. In one swift movement, he was on top.

He lifted her feet to place them on his chest to give him greater, deeper access. He looked her in the eyes, their gaze not breaking, as he pounded into her until his own release came.
Julie panted as he buried his face in her hair.

“You know,” she said, breathlessly, “You have ruined me.”
He lifted his head, looking at her confused.
“Well, if one day you decided you are done with me, no other man will ever be able to satisfy me.” She was trying, in a twisted way, to compliment him, even though it was a fear she truly had.

Frustration was written across his face. He moved off her, completely getting off the bed. He began pacing the room. His thoughts were dark. He thought he had been showing her how much he loved her, that she meant the world to him, but now he felt like he was letting her down.

Julie sat up, wrapping her arms around her bent knees. She hadn’t meant to make him upset. She took a deep breath before calling out to him.

“Alex. I’m sorry,” was all she said.
He stopped pacing and turned to look at her. His eyes were filled with disappointment. Julie thought it was for her, so she got up and ran for the bathroom, tears beginning to fall from her eyes.


She had to go past him, as he was on the side of the bed that the bathroom door was on. She thought she had enough space to get past him but he surprised her by grabbing her wrist as she passed him. He swung her around, catching her in his arms. She tried to push at his chest to get away from him but he held tight. She was looking down at his chest, not wanting to meet his eyes and see the look of disappointment again.

“Julie,” he said roughly. “Look at me.”
She slowly lifted her head, keeping her eyes down as long as she could. When their eyes met, she was surprised by what she saw.

“Don’t ever say things like that again. You are my heart. Without you, there is nothing for me. I will never ‘be done’ with you. Can’t you see that?”

Julie sighed. She knew he loved her, but she was a woman and insecurities ran in her blood. He could have any woman in the world, why would he want her?

He reached up and wiped away a tear that had escaped. He then reached to tenderly push back a lock of hair to rest behind her ear. He sighed before he spoke again.

“Julie, I love you. Don’t forget that.”

She just nodded, unable to speak. He kissed her nose, her cheek, and then her lips. When she looked into his dark eyes, she whispered to him.

“Then why did you get upset with me? I thought maybe I had disappointed you in some way.” Her gaze had broken away from him again.

“No, baby. I was disappointed in myself, that I had not done a good enough job of letting you know what you mean, that you would ever think that I wouldn’t want you. As cliché as it sounds, it was about me, not you.”
That made Julie laugh. She kissed him with the fervor she had had just moments earlier. How could she have ever doubted him?


Julie could hear sounds coming from the kitchen, dishes being moved around. She kept her eyes closed, just breathing in the scent of Alex on the pillows and sheets. It had been well after midnight when they had arrived at his home and they hadn’t gone to sleep until almost two Pacific Time. Julie’s body had protested, it was after four am her time. She didn’t want to think about what time it was now. But her body insisted she get out of bed.

Julie finally opened her eyes and looked at the clock. It was almost 12:30 in the afternoon. She never slept this late. She quickly dressed in jeans and a pink fitted tee shirt. Still barefoot, she headed to the kitchen. Alex was humming a tune as he moved around, putting dishes away. He turned around, a mug in his hand. He hadn’t heard her enter and just about jumped out of his skin when he saw her.

“Shit, Jewels, you scared me.”
Julie walked up to him, wrapping her arms around his waist, laughing.

“Sorry.”

She kissed his cheek before letting him go. Julie stepped back and looked around her.
The light coming in from the skylight above the sink illuminated the room. The maple cupboards looked almost yellow in the light. Julie saw his coffeemaker in the left corner of the kitchen. She wasn’t much for coffee, but she really needed a pick me up.

Alex saw the look in her eye and smiled. He hadn’t been a coffee drinker until he moved to L.A. and was introduced to Coffee Bean. He was proud of the fact that he could make a really good cup of Joe. He went straight to the coffeemaker and made her a cup.

Alex let her know he still had all his packing to do. He hadn’t wanted to wake her, she had looked so peaceful. So they moved to the bedroom. Julie sat Indian style on the bed, holding her cup of hot coffee and watched him pack.

It took him over an hour to get his things laid out on the bed. Julie laughed as he pulled out a yellow and black tiger print spandex body suit and laid it on the bed.

“Are you really gonna wear that?” Julie teased. Little did he know what she would be wearing.

“Oh, baby. I look fucking hot in this. You won’t be able to keep your hands off me,” he replied.

“Well, I better be able to. Your fans are not supposed to know about me yet. Does this mean if I get to put my hands all over you, so do the other fan girls?” She was teasing, but regretted saying it as soon as it left her lips. Again. She had a bad habit of saying things around him, without thinking first.

He didn’t even answer; he just went back to packing. Julie knew she had messed up again. She set her coffee on the night stand and went up him. He had stepped back into his closet and hadn’t seen her get up. When he walked out of the closet, she threw her arms around his neck.

“Please, forgive me. I swear, I am the ‘right now Poster Girl’. I don’t think about what is ahead, it is all about right now. Will you please forgive me?” She kissed his cheek as his hands went to her waist. He turned his head and their lips met.

“Let’s get outta here for a while. The beach is only 15 miles from here. Have you ever seen the coast?”

Julie blushed. That was one thing she had always wanted to see, but never had the chance. He took her blush as a yes. He threw the pair of jeans in his hands onto the bed. They missed and slid to the floor. They both laughed.

“What about packing?” Julie asked.

“I can finish when we get back. Besides I gotta show you a little bit of my town.”

Julie watched as he walked over to pick up the jeans. She had a nice view of his backside. She licked her lips hungrily. She would never get over that beautiful site. That man had the finest ass she had ever seen. She laughed to herself as she had the thought. He turned and looked at her.

“What is so funny?”

“Oh, nothing. I was just thinking how cute it would be for us to walk on the beach with my jeans rolled up, carrying my sandals, like in the movies.”

They spend a few hours walking on the beach in Santa Monica. Julie did just as she had joked about, rolling up her jeans and all. Her long hair was whipping in the mild November wind. AJ had to keep looking at her, waiting for his dream to end and Julie to blow away.

They didn’t want to leave, but a storm was moving in and he still had to finish packing. They had an 8 am flight, arriving in Miami at 3pm with a short layover in Denver.

While they had been on the beach and the pier nearby, AJ had bought her a hotdog and soda. She should have been starving, but wasn’t very hungry. She was sure it was just nerves.

As he worked on finishing packing, Julie offered to make dinner, that was, if he had any food in the house. When he looked down at his suitcase and didn’t look back up, she took that as a no.
So he suggested his favorite Thai food restaurant. They delivered and were really quick. He went to the kitchen and came back with a carry out menu and the phone. Julie looked over the menu and finally decided on what she would eat.

AJ quickly ordered it and went back to packed. Julie snuck away to the dining room in search of candles. She found some on the built in hutches just to the right of his ‘Haunted Mansion’ table. In a drawer she found placemats.

Julie worked quickly to turn his dining room into a romantic space, shutting all the drapes and blinds and setting out the placemats and candles. She laughed to herself as she set out paper plates and disposable utensils she had found in the pantry. No use in giving him more dirty dishes.

She had just finished lighting the last candle when the door bell rang. She bounded down the stairs and had the door open before AJ even knew the food had arrived. Julie signed the credit card slip and the man was on his way.

AJ came out of the bedroom, the noise and smell, drawing him out. He was surprised to see what Julie had done. He had told her that the table had only been eaten on twice since he had purchased it, and now, she was going to be lucky number three.

They laughed over everything and nothing as they eat their amazing food. Julie told him how she had never eaten real Thai food before. He joked about taking her virginity in more ways than he ever thought possible. That made her blush.

They had just finished eaten and were cleaning up when AJ stopped what he was doing, put down the cartons in his hands and went to her. Julie was bending over, ever so slightly, to pick up a napkin that had fallen to the floor. His hands went to her waist and pulled her back up against him.

Julie stood up quickly, shock on her face. The mass in his jeans was pressed up against her backside. She tried to turn around, but he held her firm in place. He leaned closer to whisper in her ear.

“You know, we could break in this table, in the right sort of way.”
Julie turned her head to the side so their lips were closer.

“And what would be the right kind of way?” she said, trying to sound seductive. He turned her in his arms and lifted her on to the table.
Her knees instantly went apart, allowing him to step in between them. His hands never left her waist as their lips collided in passion.

Julie had to break the kiss and take deep breaths. He sure did know how to make her hot, fast. Her hands went to his neck to bring him back in for more. The devoured each other, clothing hitting the floor to create a pile of brights and darks.

Alex laid her back onto the table, her knees still up against the edge of the table. She wrapped her legs around him and he entered her. Julie pushed herself back up so she could wrap her hands around his neck again, giving her some leverage as well.

Their eyes locked and they watched each other’s intense expressions as their passions drove them. Alex could see her orgasm building and bit his tongue to hold his off until she screamed out his name in ecstasy. Two more deep thrusts and he joined her in her bliss.


Julie and AJ stood in his large tiled shower. The colors were very neutral, shades of brown and other earth tones. Although they had done very little that day, she found that the warm water rushing over her, from the multiple shower heads, was increasing her weariness. AJ, himself, let out a large yawn, causing Julie to follow in suit. It wasn’t long before they were snuggled up in his king sized bed, fast sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 11 - Miami by Dark-Hunter

Kate and Nick flew first class nonstop to Miami. They had decided that Nick would get off the plane first and Kate would wait for some of the other passengers to leave before she did so they didn't appear together.

When Kate walked off the jet way she saw Nick moving off with his bodyguards, the paparazzi following.
Julie was waiting by the gate for Kate.
"Hey girl, how was your flight?" Julie asked.
"Good. Boy that's weird." Kate said watching Nick walk away.
"I know it was the same with Alex. It's like two different worlds. I guess I never noticed before, but there really is a difference between Alex and AJ. As soon as he stepped of the plane, his whole body language changed. Come on let's go get our bags and I will tell you about my flight here."

As they walked out of though security there was a man dressed in black holding a sign that said Kate's last name. She looked at Julie.
"Do you think that's for me?" She asked.
"Only one way to find out," Julie said walking up to the man. "Is that for Kate?" she asked pointing at the sign.
The guy checked his list.
"Katherine Reagan." He replied.
"That's me." Kate said.
"If I can have your baggage claim tickets," he said holding out his hand.
Kate and Julie dug thru their purses for them, handing them over. He also took their carry-on baggage.
"And if you'll follow me ladies."

He lead them thru the airport and outside to a long white limo. Kate's eyes were huge as he held open the door to the limo. She climbed in followed by Julie.
"It will just take me a little bit to get your luggage. Please help yourself to anything in the fridge or cupboard."
He closed the door. Kate and Julie looked at each other and squealed.

"OMG! This is so cool." Julie said as she started pushing buttons.
Kate opened the fridge to find a fruit and cheese plate and an assortment of water, juices, and sodas.
They helped themselves to snacks and played with the tv. When the driver returned he put their bags in the trunk and climbed in the front. Julie rolled down the partition.

"Hey what's your name?" she asked the driver.
"Joe," he replied.
Kate laughed.
"Just like in the movie ‘The Princess Diaries’."
Julie laughed too.
"So Joe, are all limos stocked like this?" Kate asked.
"No, it depends on whoever orders it and what they like."
"So how was this ordered?" Julie asked.
"Mr. Carter requested healthy snacks and no alcohol."
"Oh how sweet!" Julie said clasping her hands melodramatically, "He's taking care of you even when he's not here."
"Would you ladies like to see some sights or do you want to go straight to the hotel?"
Julie and Kate exchanged a glance. Julie shrugged.
"I wouldn't mind seeing the city." she told Kate.
"How long do we have the limo?" Kate asked Joe.
"At least an hour unless you want to ride longer." Joe replied.
"Well, we may as well use our hour at least," Kate said.
"Anything in particular you'd like to see?" Joe asked.
"The Beach!" Julie exclaimed, excited at the prospect of seeing both coasts in less than 24 hours

As Joe drove them to the beach Kate pulled out her phone to text Nick.
KATE: Thank you so much for the limo and the healthy snack!

It took a few minutes for his reply.

NICK: You're welcome. Are you having fun?
KATE: Yes! What time will you be back at the hotel?"
NICK: Should be around 7. Party's at 9.
Kate: Sounds good.

"Joe we need to be to the hotel by 6:30." Kate told him.
"Not a problem."

The girls enjoyed the view of the beach and Joe showed them a few city sights before taking them back to the hotel.
They arrived at the Setai Hotel and walked to the front desk. Neither of the girls knew how to ask for their room. They decided to try their own names first since anyone could say they were with the guys. Julie had always been more outgoing than Kate so she spoke to the front desk clerk.

"Welcome to the Setai. How can I help you?"
"We have a room reservation." Julie told.
"Wonderful. What is the name?" He asked.
"Juliette Flynn and Katherine Reagan."
"Yes, I see you both here." He waved over a bellhop that loaded their bags on a trolley. "Miss Flynn you are in penthouse 3 and Miss Reagan is in penthouse 5. Charles will show you up. Here are your keys. If there is anything we can do for please let us know."

They took the elevator and were a little shocked when they had to use their key cards to get to the penthouse level. They stepped out into a hallway of thick green carpet, their breaths caught in their throats. The cream walls and landscape artwork gave a feeling of serenity. Charles led them down the hall to penthouse 3. He took Julie's key, opening the door for her.
The room was enormous. The far wall was all picture windows so you could see the ocean. The furniture was cream colored with pale blue accents giving the room a tranquil feel. There was a square dining that could seat eight people and a full galley kitchen. The bedroom was a separate room. The king size bed was on the wall opposite the window so you could lie in bed and watch the ocean.
Julie tipped the bellhop before he showed Kate down to her room.

Julie had accompanied Kate to see her room. Kate's room was next door and looked the same although decorated in greens rather than blues.

"Ok I'm heading back to my room to get ready."
"Sounds good. Hey what are you wearing tonight?"
"Um... Probably my black knit top with the puffy sleeves and my black A-line skirt with my red petticoat and a wide red belt."

Julie headed off to her room for a shower. Kate moved her smaller suitcase into the bedroom. She had no idea what to wear. She dug thru her bag trying to figure out what to wear. She gave up, frustrated. All her new clothes were for the cruise and her regular clothes were getting too tight.

Frustrated she laid down on the bed. Tears slid sideways down onto the pillow. Angrily she wiped them away.
"You wouldn't be in this predicament if you had been careful. You could be just as skinny as Julie." She told herself. "I shouldn't have come. I knew this was a bad idea. All those scantily clad, beautiful women throwing themselves at him. He won't want to be stuck with me."
She drifted off to sleep, trying to figure out how she could get out of the cruise.

Nick walked into the penthouse dropping his bag on the floor. He didn't see Kate but knew she was there because her big suitcase was just inside the door.
He walked thru the living area and back to the bedroom. He found her asleep curled up on the bed. She looked so peaceful. He checked his watch. He wasn't due down to the party till nine and it was just after seven, it wouldn't hurt to cuddle with her for just a little bit. He set the alarm on his phone and crawled onto the bed next to her.

Kate woke up as Nick spooned up behind her. She turned her head to look at him but could only manage to get her cheek against his.
"Go back to sleep," he whispered.
"How was your interview?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper and still half asleep.
"It went good."
"Don't we need to get ready for the party?" she asked.
"We can rest for a little bit. I don't have to be there for a couple of hours."
Kate sighed, drifting back off to sleep in his arms.
Nick knew by her breathing that she was asleep again. His hand slipped under her shirt rubbing her small belly.
"I'm going to be a dad," he thought. "Maybe I would like to have a girl. Then she'd look like Kate."
He dozed off picturing a beautiful little girl playing with Kate and running to him when he came home from work.


Julie had just finished blow drying her hair from her shower, when Alex came in. He just sat on the edge of the tub, like he had done before, and watched her. She smiled at him.

"So, how did it go? Were there a lot of girls at the radio station?"

Alex stood up and walked to stand behind her. His arms went around her waist, his chin resting on her left shoulder. He looked her in the eyes, through the mirrors reflection.

"Honestly, all I noticed was the noise, not the faces."

She stared back at him before chastising him.

"Alexander James McLean. You damn well better see their faces. They love you and adore you. The least you can do it see their faces. Just not their boobs."


They both started laughing. He kissed the side of her neck and stepped back. He started getting undressed, intending to take a shower. Julie turned and watched him, her eyes becoming hungry. He had turned her into a monster. She could spend all day being naked in his arms. He couldn’t help but see the look in her eyes.

"Don't even think about it. We have a party to go to."

Alex stepped into the shower, leaving Julie with her thoughts. As she finished rolling her hair and doing her make-up, she watched him through the reflection. The shower had frosted glass doors, so she really couldn't see him, just enough to see his outline. She felt like such a guy as she glanced at him.

"So, what is the plan?" Julie asked, as he stepped out and dried off.
"Well, we kick off the party at nine with a show and then we mingle with the crowd, signing autographs and such."
"Where will you be performing?" she asked
"On the beach. They've set up a stage. We did sound check just before we came up. Nick and I will keep an eye out for you girls," he told her.
"Oh, don't worry about us. We're just going to have a good time. And so should you guys."
He hugged her from behind, "I love you Jewels, never doubt that."
Julie smiled at their reflection in the mirror.
"I love you too, Alex."

Chapter 12 - Party by Dark-Hunter

Nick's alarm went off a half hour later. He kissed Kate's cheek, waking her as well.
"I gotta get ready for the party baby," he told her, climbing out of bed.
She stretched, sitting up and swinging her legs around to the floor.
"You don't have to get up. If you're tired you should rest."
Kate huffed sarcastically, "Yeah right. Like there's anyway Julie will let me not go to this party."
Nick smiled, he knew she was right. Julie would want to go but not alone.
"Well tell Julie to pace herself. It's going to be a long week."

While Nick took a shower, Kate ordered room service. By the time he was ready, the grilled chicken salads she ordered had been delivered to the room.
"You are so good to me," he said, kissing the top of her head before sitting across from her at the table.
"So, what's your night look like," she asked.
"Well, we have to be there to kick off the party at nine by performing at a stage on the beach, then we are free to do whatever for the rest of the night."
Kate nodded.
"Are you coming down?" he asked.
"Of course," she said, "I can't miss hearing you guys perform. Do you know what you'll be singing?”
"’I want it That Way’, ‘Everybody’, ‘I'll Never Break Your Heart’ and of course ‘Larger Than Life’."
Kate laughed, "All the mash up songs."
Nick thought about it.
"You're right. I never realized- well I guess it makes sense, they are our greatest hits."
"True,” Kate agreed.

After Nick finished eating he brushed his teeth as Kate got in the shower.
"Baby, I gotta, go but I'll see you down there."
Kate poked her head out of the shower.
"Ok, but you better mingle with your fans."
He kissed her wet lips.
"I promise to be good."

Julie was in the hall about to knock on the door when Nick opened it to leave.
"She's in the shower," he said, motioning with his thumb over his shoulder.
"What?! I thought she'd be ready by now."
"Yeah, well we had a little nap." Nick said non-chalantly "Hey Jewels, don't push her to hard. I don't think she is feeling well."
Julie was offended. She would never do anything to hurt Kate. But even as she thought that she realized that there was nothing Kate wouldn't do for her if she asked.
"Of course. We'll probably just come hear the show and find some place to sit and people watch."

As Julie walked into the penthouse, she began to get concerned. Kate had seemed to feel fine earlier. Of course Kate wasn't really one to complain, her motto was 'cowgirl up and deal with it'. She'd have to keep an eye on Kate to make sure she didn't over do it this week.

Kate toweled off and wrapped in the fluffy white robe that the hotel provided.
She was surprised to find Julie going thru her suitcase.
"Hey girl," Julie said, "Any idea what you want to wear tonight?"
Kate sat down on the bed.
"No." She said, "I'm too fat for my regular clothes and my new stuff is for the cruise."
"Hon, you are not fat, you're pregnant. And you're not that big yet, anyway."
"Yeah, that's what I thought, too, till I started trying on clothes."

Julie shook her head. She laid out an outfit while Kate went to dry her hair.
Julie dressed Kate in her denim skirt and her white shirt that had blues, purple and greens streaked across it. The shoulders were open with a silver chain for the straps.
Julie rolled Kate's hair in hot rollers while Kate applied her make up.

When they were finished Kate stood in front of a full length mirror. She had to admit there was no way anyone was going to accuse her of being pregnant tonight. Her push up bra combined the flowing fabric of her shirt completely concealed her baby bump. She hugged Julie.

"Thanks, I was really starting to get depressed." She admitted.
"Well I'm glad that was all it was," Julie said relieved.
"What do you mean?" Kate asked, as they headed out the door.
"Nick is worried that you're not feeling well."
"Why would he think that?"
"I don't know. What happened when he came back?" Julie asked.
"I was asleep. He curled up with me till he had to get ready."
"Well, maybe he thought you didn't feel well because you were asleep."
"No, just tired. I didn't sleep worth crap last night."
"I didn't get much sleep, either, but what I got was ok."
"Lucky, I kept having nightmares about the cruise."
"Really? Like what?"
"Mostly of Nick finding someone else."
"Ugh, I hate those dreams."
"Me too."

As they walked out of the lobby towards the beach, they were unprepared for what they saw.
Girls by the thousands, scantily clad in bikinis as far as the eye could see.
When they reached the beach they kicked off their heels and walked thru the warm sand towards the stage.

The stage was similar to the one they used on their last tour, just smaller and no lifts.
Since Julie and Kate couldn't get close without being crushed, they decided to hang back and just listen.
A man came out on stage just after 9. He pumped up the crowd getting everyone ready for the show.

"How y'all doing tonight?" he asked. He was answered with screaming girls.
"How many of y'all are going on the boat with us tomorrow?"
He waited till it died down a little before he asked the next question.
"Who here likes the Backstreet Boys?"
The crowd went wild.
"You want um you got um. Here's AJ, Brian, Howie and Nick."

The guys came out singing. Julie and Kate enjoyed the show as much as the rest of the girls.
"Can you believe it was just 5 months ago that we saw them on tour for the first time?" Julie said to Kate.
"Yes." Kate said resting her hand on her tummy and blushing.
Both girls burst out laughing.

As the guys sang, the sun set and more lights came on, illuminating the stage. After they finished 'I Want it That Way' AJ started talking.
"As most of you know we just finished our summer tour."
The girls screamed.
Brian continued. "Well, we made some new friends on that tour and, well, we've really been missing them."
Howie continue. "And we thought, 'Hey why don't we invite them to our party'."
Julie and Kate exchanged a look.
"Couldn't be," Kate said.
Julie shrugged.

"Here they are! Jordan, Jon, Donnie, Danny and Joe." Nick said.

New Kids on the Block ran out on stage to join them. The 9 guys performed 'Step by Step', 'Cover Girl', 'Please Don't Go Girl' and 'All In My Head'. They closed the show with 'Don't Turn Out The Light'.

"Omg! Was that cool or what?" Julie exclaimed.
"Spectacular!" Kate agreed.
The girls walked back up to the hotel to get something cool to drink and find a place to sit down.
They went to the bar and ordered virgin piña coladas and found a table for two near the pool to sit at.

They sat for quite a while sipping their drinks and watching people. They talked of the concert and about the upcoming cruise.

"Here you are." A masculine voice said behind Julie.
She tipped her head back surprised to find Donnie behind her.
"Oh hey! How are you?" She stood up giving him a hug.
"I'm good. Hey, Kate!"
"Hey, Donnie. How's my favorite Blue Blood?"
He laughed. "Busy as usual."
He walked around the table to hug Kate. She stood up wrapping her arms around his neck.
"Congratulations!" He whispered in her ear.
She blushed, pulling away, suddenly very conscious of her belly pressing against him.
"Is it that obvious?" She asked, tugging at her shirt.
"No, not at all. He told us."
"Oh, he is so busted!" Julie said. "He's not supposed to tell till after the cruise."
"Ah, we won't tell." Donnie said, waving off her concerns. "Come dance with me, Jewels!"
Donnie pulled her over to where people had made an impromptu dance floor between the tiered pools. He spun her around, very much like he had the last time they had danced together. Julie laughed as he took control.

“You’re wearing that red thing again,” he commented.
“It’s called a petticoat, and AJ likes it.”
“I do, too.”

Kate smiled, watching them walk away. Just then, Jordan walked up. He had seen Donnie talking to them but had hung back hoping to talk to Kate alone.
"Hi." He said resting his hands on the back of Julie's chair.
Kate looked over surprised.
"Jordan! Hi, how are you?" She stood again, hugging him.
They both sat down at the table.
"I hope that's virgin." he said, pointing to her drink.
She smiled, "I swear, he may as well put up a billboard announcing it."
"Na, he's just excited. Congratulations by the way."
"Thank you." Kate said, blushing.
"He's a very lucky man."
"No, I'm the lucky one. It's been a bit of a roller coaster but I think we're going to be ok."
"Well, if you change your mind you can always call me," he smiled.
Kate laughed.

They talked for a little bit, reminiscing about when they all met.
Jordan kissed her cheek and left to mingle. Kate sat at her table people watching. She was starting to get a headache from all the noise. Julie was having fun dancing with Donnie and Kate didn't want to spoil the fun so she wrote Julie a note on her napkin and tucked the edge under Julie's drink.

Nick had been keeping his distant from Kate but she was never out of eyesight. When he saw Kate leave, he casually strolled over to the table. He glanced at the note.

"Going to the beach."

Nick left the table and shook hands, gave hugs and signed autographs with the girls around, trying to make his way back to the beach.
Kate kicked off her shoes and walked out onto the sand. It was much quieter out here. She could still hear the music from the party but it was subdued by the crash of the waves. The darkness was a relief to the ache behind her eyes.
She sat in the sand, watching the dark water.
"Kate?" Nick said.
She turned to see him walking alone across the sand.
"Hi."
"Are you ok?" he asked, concerned.
"Yeah."
"Why are you out here alone?" he said, sitting next to her.
"I just have a headache," Kate explained.
"Do you want me to get you some aspirin?"
She smiled at him, "Thank you but I have some Tylenol upstairs, I think it was just too loud over there."
"Welcome to a Backstreet Boys party."
She shook her head, "I don't know how you do it."
He shrugged," It's part of the job."
She leaned her head against his shoulder. He tipped his head over, resting it on hers.
"Honey, why don't you head upstairs? I don't want you to overdo it. I'll come up as soon as I can."
"It's your party. You should stay. I probably will go up to bed. I just need to find Julie and let her know."
"I can let her know." Nick told her.

He stood up brushing the sand of his pants, and then reached down to pull Kate up. She brushed the sand off of herself as they walked back towards the hotel.

"You look beautiful by the way," he said.
Kate blushed. She playfully pushed him away.
"Get back to your party before you give me away."
Nick grabbed her hand, pulling her into the shadows of the stage. He wrapped his arms around her kissing her passionately. Kate's fingers went into his hair as she pulled him down to her.
His hands slid down over her butt, squeezing her firm cheeks. He felt himself hardening against her.
Kate pulled back breaking their kiss. She was out of breath.
"I could take you right here, ya know?" he said, his hands cupping her butt, pulling her against him.
Kate laughed, "I'd rather not get arrested for indecent exposure, thank you."
"Well, maybe I should just take you upstairs right now and ravage you," he said leaning in to kiss her neck.
Kate leaned her head back as his lips moved to her collarbone. She let out a sigh of pleasure.

Suddenly she realized that if they were going to keep their relationship secret for the next 5 days they were going to have to stop this PDA.
"We have to stop," Kate told him.
Nick pouted.
"Don't look at me like that. I want you too but not here, not now."
Nick heaved a deep sigh.
"How much longer do you need to stay at the party?" Kate asked.
Nick checked his watch. It was just after midnight.
"I can probably slip out in about an hour."
"Ok, I think I can hang out till then. I'll go see if the front desk has some Tylenol, so I don’t have to go all the way upstairs."
"Good. I wanna keep an eye on you. Can't have Jordan running off with my woman."
Kate blushed. She had no idea that Nick was watching her conversation with Jordan.
"You head out there first." Kate told him, "I'll slip up in a few minutes." Nick stole one last kiss before heading back up to the party. Kate walked around the other end of the stage and headed towards the hotel.


AJ looked through the crowd, trying to find Julie. She was not where he was expecting her. Memories of a night he never wanted to remember filled his head. Donnie was dancing with Julie, just as they had in Tulsa. Donnie even dipped her backwards, acting as if he was going to kiss her.

AJ moved with swiftness through the crowd. He didn’t blame Donnie; there was just something about Julie that made people be drawn to her. She was a people person. She made friends everywhere she went. But his insecurities were creeping up. Before he had even made it close to the pool area, everything changed.

It appeared as though a thin, yet voluptuous woman in a little bikini had been trying to catch Donnie’s eye to no avail. She had finally gotten frustrated and tried to get Julie out of the way. Donnie had been spinning Julie around and when the girl stepped up to them and Julie was caught off guard. The girl gave her a shove and being unable to see it coming, Julie fell backwards. They had been close enough to the pool that when Julie fell, she went back into the pool. Unfortunately they were right by the stairs leading to the pool.
Donnie pushed the girl off him that was now clinging to his neck and looked to where Julie had fallen. He saw red tinting the clear water. Girls around them crowded the area, trying to see what happened. No one had called for help yet. AJ couldn’t get through the crowds. His heart was pounding in his chest. The more he pushed to get to her, the more it seemed the girls around him held him back, trying to catch his eye.

Donnie jumped in the pool, his white button up shirt clinging to his rock hard chest. He scooped Julie up, and placed her on the side of the pool. Blood was slowly pooling under her head. Donnie couldn’t get her to respond and leaned down to see if she was breathing. He could not feel air coming from her nose. He tilted her head back and placed his lips to hers, blowing a breath of life into her.

AJ was finally able to break through the crowd as Donnie was breathing into her. He ran to Julie’s side, uncaring if anyone put two and two together. Donnie leaned down and breathed into her again. AJ grabbed her hand and looked up to the crowd, screaming for someone to go get help.

As Donnie breathed a third time, Julie began choking and coughing up water. He helped her sit up a little. Her hand went to the back of her head. When she felt the sticky fluid, she brought her hand back in front to see the deep red staining her hand.

“Where is the bitch that pushed me,” she said, her voice weak.
“That’s my girl,” AJ said quietly to her.

Nick saw the commotion as he walked up around the building towards the pool. His paced increased as he got closer. He made it to the opposite end of the pool. He could see Donnie, soaking wet, kneeling over someone. As he tried to get closer he saw the red petticoat and pulled out his phone.

Kate made her way into the front desk. The lady there was very nice. "Hi. I'm staying in penthouse 5 and I was wondering if you had some Tylenol."
"Of course, ma'am. Let me get you some."
As the lady walked off Kate's phone vibrated. She pulled it out of her pocket. It was Nick calling. She smiled.
"I'm just getting some Tylenol, I'll be out in a minute," she said answering the phone.
"Kate, it's Julie. She's hurt." He said seriously.
Kate's heart began pounding.
"Where is she?"
"The Pool."
Kate dropped her shoes and phone, running out the back door of the lobby. She saw the crowd gathered around the pool. As she heard the ambulance approaching, she ran as fast as she could to the pool.
She couldn't get close to the end where Julie was. She began pushing people aside to get to the pool. She was halfway down the length of the pool and could see no way to get closer to Julie. She jumped into the cold water and swam to the edge of the pool.
Kate pulled herself out on the side of the pool. Julie's head was resting in AJ's lap. Donnie was still kneeling next to her. Kate moved to Julie's other side leaning over her to hug her.
"Jewels! Are you ok? What happened?"
"I'm ok." Julie coughed, expelling a little more water.
The paramedics appeared, pushing Kate back out of the way. It was then that Kate realized Nick had pushed his way thru and was right behind her.
Security had begun to move the crowd back to give the paramedics room to work. Nick pulled Kate a few steps back out of the way. Donnie moved to stand beside them.
"What happened?" Nick asked Donnie.
"One of the other girls pushed her in the pool to get to me. Unfortunately she hit her head on the step."
"You pulled her out?" Nick asked.
"Yeah, I was the closest."
"Thank you," Kate said, her eyes never leaving Julie.
"Of course."

The paramedics loaded Julie up on the gurney and wheeled her off. Kate followed her, leaving Nick without a word.

"Any idea who the girl was that did it?" Nick asked Donnie.
Donnie looked back over his shoulder.
"Yep, Earl grabbed her." He said pointing out his bodyguard holding a girl by the wrist. Nick couldn’t see her face, just the back of her head. She looked like any other fan.


Kate followed the Julie to the ambulance stopping in the lobby to grab her phone and shoes while they loaded Julie.
"I'm sorry miss, but you'll have to meet her at the hospital." The paramedic said.
"Like hell I do. That's my sister and I'm going with her," Kate said stubbornly.
"I still don't see why I have to go," Julie protested.
"Jewels," Kate said firmly, "You're going to get checked out. Alex would kick my butt if he found out I didn't take you."
Julie smiled at Kate, realizing Kate was letting her know AJ would insist if he could be here to do it. Part of her understood why he couldn't, but the other wanted him there more than anything.

Chapter 13 - Hospital by Dark-Hunter

 

Kate cringed as she watched them put eight stitches in Julie’s head. They had already done x-rays to check her lungs and found they were clear. The doctor insisted she continue to breathe in the oxygen until she was released.

Julie had complained the entire time, saying she was fine and just wanted to get back to the party. The doctor informed Kate that Julie had a concussion and would potentially be acting out of character for a while. Kate laughed and explained she knew Julie better than anyone and he had nothing to worry about. He nodded at her, seeing she was completely right.

It had been almost two hours before Nick and AJ were able to join them. Nick had been texting with Kate trying to keep AJ updated on Julie's status. AJ had been frustrated that Julie wasn't responding to him until he learned that her phone had gone in the pool with her. When they arrived, both guys had a bag with them.
"We brought you some dry clothes." Nick explained.
Julie was so grateful when she saw the Alex had brought her some comfy clothes.

AJ went straight to Julie, grabbing her hand. He kissed her knuckles before he spoke. His voice wavered a little.

“I am so sorry I couldn’t be here for you.”

Julie looked over at him. They had just finished stitched up her head. Tears began to fall from her eyes.

“They shaved part of my head,” she cried. He couldn’t help himself, be began laughing, which caused Julie to cry harder.

“Oh, baby. It doesn’t matter. No one will see.” He looked to the back of her head. “It’s only a tiny bit.”

“But now I am ugly! And I am gonna be on a boat full of pretty girls in little bikini’s with big boobs and no bald spots!”

Julie was not normally this shallow. Kate knew she had hit her head hard, but this really wasn’t like her. AJ looked over at Kate, as if at a loss for words.
Kate shrugged her shoulders, "She has a concussion.”
"Tell you what, I'll shave my head, then will match." AJ said.
It took a few minutes for Julie to register what he'd said.
"Hey! Your head is already shaved," she said.
Nick, Kate, and AJ burst out laughing.

The doctor came back a short time later and finally released Julie. He gave her an antibiotic to take for a week and told her to see her family doctor when she got home. The nurse came in and gave her informations on how to care for the stitches, including how to wash her hair.

They all took one cab back to the hotel. There were still a few fans hanging out in the lobby, when they arrived. Kate offered to help Julie upstairs alone so that they could walk in without looking suspicious. But both guys insisted walking in together. AJ kept an arm around Julie to keep her steady. Kate was on Julie's other side in case she needed her and Nick followed carrying the bags of wet clothes.

The six girls were still waiting in the lobby when they arrived. They all jumped to their feel and slowly walked over to the four of them. One girl asked if Julie was alright. She felt terrible that it was her drunk friend that had caused Julie to be pushed in the pool. She was a very kind person and admitted her friend was a friend of convenience and she really didn’t know her well. She apologized a dozen times.

Julie reached to take the girls extended hand and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

“Thank you for your concern. But if I see her on the boat…” Julie didn't need to finish, the look on her face said it all.
The girls shrank back a little. "You aren't going to kick us off the cruise are you?"
AJ looked at Julie.
"What'd ya think?" he asked.
"Well they didn't actually push me. But it's your cruise."
AJ gave her a devilish grin.
"Well I suppose that since you didn't actually do anything, you can still come. But spread the word that anyone who gets out of line will be kicked off. Now I really need to make sure Miss Flynn gets to her room safely. Thank you for your concern.”
He led Julie to the elevator and didn’t let go of her as the entered the opened doors.

“Do you think they suspect anything?” Julie asked, as AJ opened their penthouse door.
“No. They just think I am looking out for a fan that got injured. Don’t worry, our secret is still safe. Besides,” he said, as he headed to the bathroom to start her a warm bath. “For the rest of the cruise, anyone that saw what happened tonight will think I am just checking on you, like a good star should do. They won’t realize you are a huge part of my life.”

Julie just smiled at him. The local anesthetic they gave her was wearing off and her head was beginning to hurt. AJ began to help her out of her clothes. It was after three in the morning and she was exhausted. She was envious of Kate and the nap she had had earlier.

AJ helped her into the tub then quickly undressed himself. Julie had closed her eyes and didn’t realize he was joining her until his hand went to her shoulder to get her to move forward a little. He slipped in behind her, keeping his knees bent. Julie leaned her head back against his chest but instantly regretted it.

She hissed at the pain as the stitched up part of her head made contact with his hard chest. She sat forward, bringing her knees up to her chest and leaning forward to rest her chin on them. AJ grabbed a natural sponge and gently washed her back. He worked his way up squeezing the sponge out over her hair to wash the blood away. The stitches were low on the back of her scalp but the blood had soaked her hair. His hands were gentle as he lathered her hair. A whimper escaped her as his hands accidentally brushed against her stitches. He rinsed her hair out with

a cup of water and helped her out of the tub. He dried her off before worrying about himself.
Julie sighed as she slipped into the huge bed, trying to lie only on one side. For once she was grateful she didn’t sleep on her back.

AJ spooned up behind her, trying to comfort her. He was waiting for her to start crying again, but she just drifted off to sleep. He lay awake for hours, just listening to her breath. It was such a beautiful sound. He had spent the rest of the party so angry at Donnie when he really was angry at himself.

There was no reason for his anger towards Donnie. He was just upset that he had made the agreement with Julie to keep them a secret until the cruise was over. All he wanted to do was run to be by her side. Nick was the only one who understood. They stayed as long as they needed to. But when AJ had gone to talk to Donnie and a group of girls came up to ask how the Julie was, they had called her just 'the girl', he knew he had to go be with her.

He had found Nick quickly and they had left as soon as they could. It had been so hard for him to see Donnie be the one to breathe life into her, when she had been the one to breathe life into him.

She moaned lightly in her sleep. He gently pushed a lock of hair back behind her eyes. They didn’t need to be on the boat until after one pm, so he didn’t set an alarm.
He text Donnie.
ALEX: I want to say I'm sorry.
DONNIE: For what, bro?
ALEX: For being an ass because Julie got hurt.
DONNIE: Hey no one can think straight when someone they love is hurt.
ALEX: It wasn't your fault though. And I'm sorry I wanted to blame you.
DONNIE: It's all good brother. Take care of her and let me know how she's doing.
ALEX: Thanks brother.

He just lay back, listening to Julie breath, drifting off to sleep.


Kate and Nick continued down the hall to their room. Nick put his arm around Kate pulling her close. She wrapped her arm around his waist.
"How's your head?" he asked.
She looked up at him, confused.
"You had a headache earlier," he reminded her.
"Oh," she said, remembering, "I guess adrenaline cures headaches.”
Nick chuckled softly. "Yeah. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I saw you dive in that pool."

Brian opened the door to his penthouse, having heard voices in the hall. His room was across from Nick's.
"Hey, how's she doing?" he asked.
"She's going to be ok. She has a concussion and got some stitches but there wasn't any water in her lungs so that's good," Kate said.

Leighanne came out then, standing next to Brian. The concern on her face touched Kate.
"We've been praying for her," Leighanne said.
Tears slid down her cheeks. It amazed her that they cared so much. Leighanne stepped up pulling Kate into a hug. Kate finally let loose all the emotion that she had been holding back all night. Her body trembled as she silently cried.
Nick looked over at Brian confused. Kate had never broken down like this with him. Not even when she told him about the baby.
"Leighanne has this effect on people," Brian said, a smartass smile on his face.
"Oh hush, you," Leighanne said, swatting at him.
Kate pulled back, wiping her eyes. "I'm so sorry," she apologized.
"It's ok." Leighanne said, smiling at Kate, "We can’t be strong all the time. Sometimes you just need to let it out."
Kate smiled.
"By the way, I'm Leighanne."
"Hi, I'm Kate."
"It's nice to meet you, finally."
Kate looked confused.
"Brian told me that Nick had a girl. I'm glad they convinced you to come on the cruise. Us girls can hang out together while our guys do their thing."
Her smile was so reassuring to Kate.
"Well, we all better get some sleep," Brian said.
Nick opened the door to their room, leading Kate inside by the hand. She went to the bedroom and slipped out of her jeans and slid into bed, lying on her back. Nick undressed and crawled in next to her.
"You ok baby?" he asked, lying on his side, propped up on his elbow.
She smiled over at him. Her hand rested on his cheek as she gazed up into his blue eyes. A tear slid down her cheek. Nick wiped it away.
"I almost lost her tonight."
"I know. But we didn't and she's going to be ok."
Kate didn't miss that he included himself and AJ in that. She smiled at him.
"She's like a sister to me, ya know."
"I know," he said, stroking her hair, soothingly.
Kate wiped her tears away angrily.
"Augh! These hormones are killing me," she said trying to explain away her tears.
"Katy, why are you afraid to show me how you are feeling?" Nick asked, hurt that she could cry on Leighanne's shoulder but not his.

She searched his face. "I don't know. I've had to be tough for so long that it's hard to let my guard down. Guys don't want to date cry baby girls."
"Honey, you aren't a cry baby. This was scary for all of us. I just want you to be comfortable with me to be yourself."
They gazed into each other’s eyes. Nick leaned down kissing Kate. His lips were soft and gentle. Kate's arms went around him pulling him closer, her kisses becoming more urgent.
Nick's body responded to hers as his hands slid up under her shirt. Her skin was so soft and inviting. He pulled her shirt off, his hands returning to her breast. Kate's hands moved lower, finding him hard and ready. She slid her hand into his boxer briefs feeling his swollen cock. Nick groaned in pleasure.

He sat up and lifted Kate's butt sliding her panties off. He leaned over, kissing her belly. Kate smiled, running her fingers thru his hair. He moved lower pushing her thighs apart. Kate gasps as his tongue flicked against her. He teased and suckled her till her body exploded in an orgasm. He crawled back up her, proud of himself. He lay down next to her, propping himself up on his elbow. Kate pushed him over on his back and moved over on top of him. She trailed kisses down his chest pausing to swirl her tongue in his belly button, which he found surprisingly erotic. She moved down his happy trail. He groaned as she kissed on either side of his penis, torturing him.
"That's not nice," he whispered.
Kate gave a long lick up the length him. He sucked his breath in thru his teeth. As she took him into her mouth, swirling her tongue around the tip, Nick gripped the pillow behind her with one hand the other squeezing her shoulder.
It was her turn to pleasure him. She loved the sounds he made when they made love.
She moved up him placing her wet core above him. His hands went to her hips. He rolled his hips beneath her. She moaned tilting her head back. Nick took in the breathtaking sight of her above him. She leaned down repositioning herself and sliding down onto him. Kate moved her hips, slowly riding him. She loved the feel of him. As the pleasure began to build, she increased her speed. Nick raised his knees putting his feet flat on the bed. He lifted into her, driving himself deeper. Kate cried out as her orgasm rocked her. Nick gripped her hips increasing their speed till his own orgasm exploded inside her. He held her there as his body shuddered.
Kate collapsed onto him. He stroked her hair as she lay there still joined to him.
"As I was saying, I don't want you to hold back with me."
They both laughed.

Chapter 14 - Boat by Dark-Hunter

Julie woke up with a massive headache. She had never had a hangover like this before. She did her morning cat stretches and slid out of the bed, not wanting to wake Alex. He looked so peaceful as he slept, the pillow curled up in his arms. She went into the bathroom and was reminded of the night before when she saw her ruined petticoat on the bathroom floor.

She looked over to the bathroom counter and saw the bottles with antibiotics and pain killers that sat beside the sink. She sat on the edge of the tub and recalled exactly what happened. She was resolved to make the bitch that shoved her, pay, if she showed her face on the boat.

Julie took one of each pill and washed her face. She was afraid of the possible pain to her head, so she skipped the shower. She was quiet as she dressed in capris and a light colored top. She went to check her phone but it wouldn't turn on. Then she remembered she'd tucked it in her bra for the party so it went in the pool with her. She took the battery out and set it on the counter to let the phone dry, hoping it would start working again at some point. She slipped back into the bedroom. The clock said 9am. She doubted Kate would be awake but she knew she needed to get out of the penthouse, even if only for a short time.

So she put on the barest of make-up, for her that was, and her light blue sandals, grabbed her purse and slipped out the door.

She stepped off the elevator to a lobby teaming with BSB fans getting ready to head over to the boat. There was a little restaurant just across the lobby. She was starving, but really didn’t want to have to walk around the crowd. She noticed that just out the doors, to her left, were tables and chairs that were associated with the restaurant. Julie headed to the glass doors.

Julie had barely sat down at a table when a server came to her. She quickly ordered a glass of orange juice while she looked over the menu. She ordered pancakes and eggs. She wished her phone was working. She was sure the others would be sleeping for a few more hours.

While she ate, she watched all the girls collecting in the lobby. They were interesting to watch. They were of all sizes and ages and nationalities. While she watched, a server, but not hers, stepped up to the table, with a note in his hands.

“Miss. I was asked to give this to you.”

Julie took it and opened it as he quickly walked away. The handwriting was small and neat. It could have been written by either a man or a woman. But what it said put knots in her stomach.

“I saw what happened last night and you should know, that was just the beginning. When the rest of the boat finds out about you, they will all be trying to crack your skull open.”

Julie looked around frantically trying to tell who sent it. There were faces that she caught their eyes, but that was all. She didn’t even see the server that had brought it to her.

At first she was scared, the pain in her head was a reminder of how crazy fans could get, and that was just Donnie. These were BSB fans, on a BSB cruise, and she was dating a BSB. Her fear quickly turned to anger.

She was not about to let someone ruin her weekend. The note made it sound like there were a lot of people that were gonna be after her, but really, it came down to one jealous person. And they might not even have it right. She had been dancing with Donnie when it happened. So they might not even know she was with Alex.

She started to crumple the note but then decided against it. She wanted to show it to Kate, just in case, so she tucked it in her purse. Julie took care of her bill and headed back to the elevator. She was so wrapped up in her anger over the note, she didn’t see the small crowd of girls headed her way.

“Oh my God, you’re okay!” one girl cried out, as they got right up to her. “We were all so worried. Are you still going to be able to go on the cruise?”

Julie turned to face the small group. They all were genuinely concerned for her. They saw her as just another BSB fan that got lucky enough to dance with Donnie and unlucky enough to have a drunk fan jealous.

“Thank you for your concern. Yeah. I’m okay. I got eight stitches in my head. But AJ was super cool and came to check on me. I am still going on the cruise,” she turned to another girl in the group, trying to play up the fan girl aspect. “Do you think he will remember me, when we get on the boat?”

“Oh, he better! He is my favorite and I can totally see him doing something nice like that. Maybe he will do something special for you at one of the events!”

The other girls started speculating what things could happen for Julie. She just smiled; glad she had planted this seed within them. Hopefully it would spread. If the crowds thought that AJ was just being nice, there wouldn’t be anything to worry about.


Julie stood with the girls for a while, getting to know their names. She hoped she could remember and see them on the boat later. She always seemed to make new friends and these ones were very nice.
When the pain in her head was beginning to get the best if her, Julie excused herself, explaining she needed to go take something for the pain. They all said their goodbyes and she quickly entered the elevator. Three other girls got in at the same time she did. Julie did not want them to see she was on the penthouse level, not since one of them had one a BSB tour shirt. So she picked the next highest level that was not lit up.

The three girls chatted about how they planned to get the attention of their favorite Boy. Luckily, none of them were after AJ. But the tiny blonde was going on and on about how she was planning on hooking up with Nick. Julie had to stifle a giggle as the blonde explained her plan. She was going to corner him, at some point, and her kisses were going to be all she needed to say.

When they got off the elevator and it began to move again, Julie was finally able to put her keycard in and select the penthouse level. She was getting tired and wished for a nap. So as soon she entered the room and saw Alex was still asleep, she stripped down to her undies and snuggled up against his back.

Julie breathed in the masculine smell of him. Her arm slipped over his chest and rested lightly across him. He had been so tired and it had taken him so long to fall asleep, he didn’t even realize she had left and just returned. It was already 11am, but he wasn’t ready to wake up and Julie was more than glad to go back to sleep for a little while.



Light flooded the room. Kate could see the light thru her eyelids. She knew the horses would be waiting for their breakfast. She opened her eyes and was a little disoriented. She was lying on her back, Nick's head was resting on her chest, his hand on her belly. She lay there quietly running her hand lightly up and down his bare back. She wished they could stay that way forever, but she knew better. There were thousands of fans waiting for him.

Nick stretched, her caresses gently waking him. He turned his head looking up at her.

"Good Morning, handsome." She smiled down at him.
"Morning." He smiled back.
He took a deep breath. The lingering smell of pheromones from their love making filled him.
He couldn't believe that they had fallen asleep still joined together. His ex never would have done that. She couldn't wait to wash him off her. He loved that about Kate. She was so laid back.

"What time do we have to be on the boat?"
He looked up at the clock. 11:00.
"Not till 3." He said.
Kate sighed.
"Penny for your thoughts." Nick said.
"Wishing I could just stay here with you all week."
He smiled. He wished that too.
"I still think we should just announce our relationship at the beginning of the cruise then there's no reason we can't just hang out the whole time."
"Not unless you want me to end up like Julie." She stated.
He definitely didn't want that. He wanted to protect her.

Kate moved out from under him to go to the bathroom. He watched her walk to the bathroom admiring the curves of her body.

She brushed her teeth and climbed in the shower. She was rinsing the shampoo from her hair when Nick joined her in the shower.
He smiled devilishly. Kate glanced down to see his erection. She laughed.
"You're incorrigible."
He pulled her into his arms kissing her. Kate had never enjoyed sex in the shower. She always had trouble balancing. But Nick easily lifted her off the floor pressing her back to the shower wall for leverage, his need for her driving him.

As they came together Nick dropped his head to her shoulder. Kate panted, her legs sliding back to the floor. Still she clung to him. Nick pulled them back under the water. They stood for a few minutes just holding each other lost in their own thought.
Kate rinsed off then stepped out of the shower so Nick could get cleaned up as well.

She dried off and slid into a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. She grabbed her phone and headed out to the living room.
She started to dial Julie's number then remembered her phone was dead. Instead, she picked up the hotel phone and asked for Julie's room.


The phone in the room rang, catching both Julie and AJ off guard. It was on his side, so he reached over to grab the receiver.
“Hello,” he said, still half asleep.
“Hey, It’s Kate. I can talk to Julie?”
“Um, yeah, But I think she is still asleep.” He rolled over to look at her. She was a wake, but barely. “Hey, babe. It’s Kate.” He handed her the phone, so glad it had a really long cord.
“Hey, girl. How are you?” Julie asked.
“I was gonna ask you that. I can’t believe you slept through breakfast.”
Julie sat up in the bed and looked over at AJ.
“Um, I didn’t. I have already been downstairs and eaten. I woke up a few hours ago. But I came back up and fell asleep. So what is the plan?”
“Well, is your cell phone still dead? Because if it is, we really need to find a Sprint store and get you a new one before we board. I know you can’t survive without it. Besides, how will AJ keep in contact?”
“Let me go check, hold on.” Julie set the receiver on the bed and ran to the bathroom. She put the battery back in and tried to turn it on. Nothing happened. She cursed under her breath. Kate was right. She would never survive. Julie went back to the bed and let Kate know.
“Ok. I googled the closest Sprint store, and you are lucky. There is one about 3 miles away.”
“Thanks. I guess I better get dressed and see if the hotel has a shuttle that can take me.”
AJ, overhearing her comments to Kate, raised one eyebrow in curiosity. Julie said goodbye to Kate and handed the phone back to AJ so he could hang it up.
“So, why do you need a shuttle?” he asked, as he climbed out of the bed and began to get dressed.
“Well, my phone died last night, when we went into the pool. And Kate pointed out that without a working cellphone, you and I won’t be able to keep in touch once we get on the boat. There is a Sprint store a few miles away, so I need to go in and buy a new phone and get it activated before we have to board.”

Julie got out of bed and put on the clothes she had discarded only an hour before. She moved around quickly, getting all her things packed. She needed to be completely ready. AJ saw her rushing and came up behind her.
“How about we slow things down a little. You are going to pop a stitch.”
Julie turned in his arms. He kissed her tenderly, his dark eyes showing how much he cared about her. She looked behind her, where she had been packing things up.
“But I won’t be coming back here after I get my phone. I will need to head to the boat. It leaves at 4pm and everyone downstairs said it is best to get checked in early.”
AJ laughed. She didn’t think it was funny, but she wasn’t seeing things from his perspective.

“Baby. The boat is not gonna leave without me. Okay. And if you are with me, they’re not gonna leave without you.”
“But that’s just it, you won’t be with me. I need to go get a new phone.”
He kissed her nose, running a hand gently down the side of her face.
“I am going with you, to get your phone. I gotta make sure my baby has only the best.”
She scowled at him. She had never been comfortable with him spending money on her. The fact that he had taken care of the cruise and her flight, was enough.
“No. You need to get to the boat. Don’t worry about me.” She tried to get out of his arms to finish, but he pulled her tighter.
“Damn it Julie. Of course I need to worry about you. I left you alone last night and look what happened?” His voice was filled with both concern and anger. It was then she decided not to let him know about the note.
She let out a deep sigh. She knew this was not an argument she would win. So she kissed him lightly and spoke against his lips.
“Fine, but we better go, now. I don’t want to miss the boat.”

Julie had to convince AJ to let her go first and get in the shuttle, and then he could come along. She really didn’t want the fans getting any ideas about them. Not yet. Before long they were at the Sprint store. The new iphone 4S had just been released to Sprint customers and Alex insisted she needed one. When she began to argue, he pointed out that he would have done it for any fan that had happened to. Julie tried to argue but he won out.
They got her new phone activated and were back to the hotel within the hour. AJ had been right, they didn’t need to rush. Julie had finished packing and sent a text to Kate.

JULIE: We are back. Got a new iphone. Are you ready to hit the boat?
KATE: Almost done. Meet you in the hall in 5. Told Nick we are going separate, but he says no.
JULIE: What do you mean?
KATE: We are going in the limo with them.
JULIE: Oh hell no
KATE: Good luck convincing him otherwise.

Julie had lost again. Things were not going her way today. The guys did agree to go down first and were already in the limo. They had the driver go around the block then go back to pick up the girls.
No one seemed to notice it was the same limo. Kate heard whispers about who they were that they were leaving in a limo. Kate was smiling as she sat next to Nick on the side seat.
"What's so funny?" AJ asked.
"Oh, those girls out there, speculating on who we were since we were riding in a limo."
"Well, you must be important, after all the I hear the Backstreet Boys left in a limo exactly like this one." Nick laughed.
The rest of them laughed as well.

As the limo pulled up to the dock, Kate was in awe. She had never seen a boat this big up close. She felt like Rose walking up to the Titanic. She just hoped it wouldn't sink.
She followed Julie out of the limo after kissing Nick goodbye. A valet helped them get their bags on board and showed them to their room.

The suite was luxurious. It had a living room area with a couch and a couple of chairs. The king size bed was covered with a mauve colored bedspread. Their room had a tv and a small fridge. The bathroom had a single stall shower and a jet tub.
The girls fell in love with the room instantly. Although they knew they wouldn't be spending too much time there. Their itinerary was lying on the bed as well as their all access passes.
Julie began reading thru the itinerary as Kate opened all the cupboards, exploring.
Julie's phone buzzed in her pocket. She pulled it out to check the text.
"The guys are on board," Julie told Kate. "AJ just twittered the party could now start, he is here.”
"I'm glad we're missing that bunch of screaming girls," Kate replied. They both laughed.

Her own phone buzzed a minute later.
NICK: Hey baby! How's your room?
KATE: Its beautiful thank you.
NICK: I told them to stock it like they did mine so feel free to eat and drink everything. It’s all included in the cruise.
KATE: Wow!

Kate relayed the information to Julie. Julie read to her some of the itinerary.
"OMG! They are having a karaoke contest! You have to enter." Julie squealed excitedly.
Kate looked doubtful.
"Come on, I'll enter too. Even if we don't win at least we get to sing a little."
"If we have any voices left after screaming at the concerts."
"Well, we just won't scream as loud," Julie said matter of factly. “They already know we love them, no need to out scream everyone else trying to get their attention.”
“Very true,” Kate agreed.
“So, wanna go be Jack?” Julie asked, rubbing her hands together in an evil scientist way.
“Go be Jack?”
“Yeah. In Titanic, when they boat took off, Jack was waving goodbye to the people on the pier, even though he didn’t know anyone.”
“Nice. I think, though, I would rather not go where all the screaming girls are,” Kate pointed out.

The girls changed into empire waist summer dresses. They were light and flowing, and hid Kate’s baby bump. They decided to go explore the boat, but avoided the crowded areas.


They walked up and down the hallways, watching girls decorating their doors with pictures, notes and other funny things. They were so glad they were not going to need to do that.

They found the pools and where the karaoke was going to be. When they saw crowded areas, they went the other way. The boat was finally in open waters and they both found their sea legs without any problems. It was already after 6pm and it was 80’s night. Julie suggested to Kate they go ahead and start getting ready. She wanted to get into the main events area early enough to secure Kate a table.

Chapter 15 - Sphynter Night by Dark-Hunter

Julie dressed quickly since her outfit was really simple. Really short cut frayed daisy duke denim shorts and a red top that only had three buttons and tied underneath her bust making her boobs really stand out. She added her red heels. She had on a light colored wig cap and was applying her make-up when Kate knocked on the bathroom door.

Julie opened the door and Kate burst out laughing. Without the wig on yet, Julie looked a little like a drag queen. Her black eyeliner was thick and her lips were fire engine red.

“Sweetie, how is this 80’s?” Kate asked.
Julie smiled at her as she put the beautiful honey blonde wig on. As her best friend, she would know her anywhere, but the girl in front of her was not Julie. She would never have been able to pick her out in a crowd.

“Hold on just a second,” Julie said, stepping around Kate and heading to her suitcase. She pulled a plastic, yet realistic looking cherry pie from her suitcase. “Remember when we use to go to the 80’s club in Denver, HeartThrob’s? There was a song we always got down and dirty to. ‘Cherry Pie’ by Warrant.”

Kate just shrugged. She didn’t recall the song. Julie sighed.
“’She’s my cherry pie’” Julie sang. “I can’t believe you can remember it.”
“Sorry. I’m sure if I heard it, I might recall it.”

Julie ran to her new iphone and pulled up the song. She played the little bit of sample music itunes offered. Just a taste, to help her remember. Kate burst out laughing.

“I take it that is what the girl in the video wears?”
“Exactly! AJ and the guys are doing the hair band look, so I decided to be the hair band bitch.”

They both laughed for a few minutes.

“So my plan is, I am gonna ditch you at a table for a few minutes and go find AJ so I can completely flirt with him.”

“But he’s not gonna recognize you,” Kate pointed out.
“I’m hoping not.”
“Oh… that is low.”
“I don’t mean for it to. He wants a secret love affair this weekend, I am gonna give it to him.”

Julie helped Kate get dressed in her 80’s gear. They decided she should go with the pop 80’s look. They crimped her hair and pulling the front into a side ponytail. She wore black leggings with lace at the cuff that ended mid-calf. Over that was a multi-tiered lace skirt that hid her baby bump. She had on a black tank top and an oversized teal tee shirt with the neck cut out so it hung off one shoulder. They added a lot of colored bracelets on one wrist.

Julie did Kate’s make-up with blue and pink eye shadow and hot pink lips. She even wore oversized white hoop earrings. Kate was so glad to have her wedge heels. They grabbed their all access lanyards, but kept them hidden away. They didn’t want to use them unless they really needed to.

As they stepped out, Leighanne was leaving her cabin at the same time. She went right to Kate and gave her a big hug. She was dressed just like Debbie Gibson, jean jacket with buttons, short jean skirt and yellow high tops.
Not knowing who she was, Julie turned to Kate. Kate laughed.

“This is Leighanne, Brian’s wife.”
Julie felt so stupid. She should have known. Leighanne looked as confused at Julie. Kate looked at Julie as well.

“Leighanne, this is Julie.”

Leighanne turned her head this way and that way, trying to see Julie in the tramp in front of her. She looked back at Kate.

“Are you sure?”

They all started laughing.

“Yeah, it’s me. I am hoping AJ doesn’t recognize me, but I think you just proved that he won’t."


Julie went on to tell Leighanne about her idea of getting close to AJ and flirting with him. But they all knew that if he saw her with Kate, he would know right away it was her. So Leighanne offered to keep Kate company while Julie went after AJ.
They all walked towards the ledo deck together; talking about the things they had to do on the cruise.

Once they got to the deck, they split and went separate ways. Leighanne and Kate headed to the VIP area, which was another deck up higher. There were tables and chairs there for them to sit as well as a separate bar. They two of them went to get sodas and sat, talking all about babies and what to expect.

Julie tried to make her way through the screaming fans. Three of the guys had come in. AJ and Nick were up on the bar, passing out free shots to the girls that were close enough. Not afraid to do a little pushing and shoving, Julie finally made her way up to the bar. She was in between Nick and AJ, not able to move either direction.

Julie happened to look over at Nick. He was being sexy and licked the rim of one of the glasses. All the girls around her were reaching high, trying to get him to give them the glass. She was the only one not reaching up. She was still glancing his way when his eyes locked with hers. She knew right away he didn’t realize it was her. He pointed to her and handed her the shot.

Not wanting to give herself away, Julie downed the shot, making sure to use the part of the rim he had not licked. She felt like it would be wrong on so many levels. When she tried to set it on the bar, the girl beside her picked it up and held on to it tight, Julie had to fight not to laugh.

Julie turned her eyes to AJ,

waiting for him to see her. He was flirting with the girls in front of him. They were not budging as she tried to move just a little to the right. They all were fighting for his attention. He had his trademark glasses on, but Julie could still see his eyes. Barely, but enough to see where his eyes were. He turned towards her and she held her breath, hoping he looked at her.

Even though she could have him anytime, it was kinda thrilling to be acting like one of the fangirls, fighting to get his attention. He looked briefly at her, then shook his head, as if trying to push away a thought. He kept handing out shots.

He took a step left, bringing him just a little closer to Julie. Another shot was handed to him to pass out, but instead of handing it directly to a girl, he took a sip before it left his hands. Knots began to form in Julie’s chest. He had been sober for almost a year and here he was, on the boat for only a few hours and he was already succumbing to temptation. It made her wonder what else could happen.

When we went to hand out another shot, she finally reached her hand out. He looked right at her and smiled, but he handed the shot to the girl beside her, not even breaking eye contact. Julie held her breath for the briefest moment, worried he had known all along it was her. But he looked away and was handed another shot.

Three more were passed out before he took another step to the left. He now stood right in front of Julie. She reached up again and tried to scream above the others.

“AJ, look at me!”

She was surprised that he did. Julie didn’t want to smile, because she knew that would give her away. So she held up her pie and mouthed the words to him.

“Wanna slice of my pie?” She was trying to insinuate something other than food to him. He caught her meaning and he smiled at her, but not his normal smile. It was like he was trying to be nice, but not caring.

“Maybe later, darling,” was all he said to her before going back to passing out shots. Julie smiled. He didn’t know it was her and he didn’t really flirt back. She worked her way out of the crowd and headed over to Kate and Leighanne.

"So, how'd it go?" Kate asked when Julie took the chair next to her, setting her pie on the table.
"Well, he didn't recognize me." Julie said.
"Ok. I'm confused. I thought that's what you wanted?" Kate asked.
"Yeah, but..."
"But what?"
"He took a shot," Julie said, a crease across her brow.
"That's not good," Leighanne said as she pulled out her phone and sent a text.

LEIGHANNE: Hey, babe. Would you go get the guys off the bar? I think it's too much of a temptation. Thanks.

She hung up her phone, looking over at Julie and Kate.
"Brian's going to go get them."

They watched as Brian pushed his way thru the girls to Nick and AJ, two bodyguards in tow, in case the girls wouldn’t let them through.

"Hey, man! We gotta show to put on! Let's go!" he said, effectively pulling them away from the bar without anyone knowing there was a problem.

Julie relaxed as she watched Brian usher them off to the stage to meet Howie.
"Julie, I would recommend not mentioning to him what you saw, but keep an eye on him," Leighanne commented.
"I just don't want to see him getting bogged down in that again," she said concerned.
"None of us do," Leighanne replied.

Kate was concerned for Nick too. She didn't want to voice her concern since Nick hadn't had a drink as far as she knew but there was a lot of temptation this week.
As the 3 of them watched the concert from above, Kate pulled out her phone but kept it hidden under the table. She text Nick knowing, he was onstage and wouldn't get her text till later.

KATE: I'm realizing that there are a lot of temptations on this boat. Please remember I love you and am here for you if you need me.

She put her phone away. As she watched them perform, she regretted the text she had sent. It would probably just make him mad. He'd probably think she didn't trust him. The more she worried about it the worse she felt.
Julie looked over at her to make a comment about how the guys looked in their Sphynker costumes, but saw that Kate wasn't looking so well.
"You feeling okay?" Julie asked.
"Just a little sea sick," she said, making an excuse. "I think I'm going to go lay down."
"Do you want me to walk back with you?" Julie offered.
"No, I'm fine. Stay and enjoy the show," Kate said.

Kate walked back toward the room, the cool salt breeze calming her. She decided to sit in a deck chair and look out over the ocean. She actually found the slight rock of the boat peaceful and was soon asleep.

The guys only sang three songs before they took a break. The songs were ‘Just Want You To Know’, Hologram’, and ‘Helpless’.  Kate had just left when the DJ took over for a while, spinning songs from the 80’s. Nick, Brian and AJ made their way up the stairs to the VIP area. Julie had been watching them and had seen them coming so she moved over to the side. Leaning slightly over the railing on the opposite side of the stairs, Julie was sure AJ wouldn't see her face.

As soon as AJ passed her, she walked up behind him. He stopped at the table where Leighanne sat, looking for Julie and Kate, since Brian had said they were all together. As he was about to say something to Leighanne, Julie moved up behind him. In one swift movement, Julie had her hands slipping in between his arms and side, her arms snaking around his chest, her breasts against his back. She hiked up her left leg around his waist, the heel of her red shoe just a breath away from his manhood. She leaned in close and whispered in his ear, in a southern belle accent.

"Why, Alexander James McLean. You have been a very naughty boy."
He pushed her foot down and peeled her hands off his chest. He turned around, looking a little angry.

"I am really not interested," he said. It was then he noticed the cherry pie on the table by Leighanne. He looked back at Julie and shook his head.
Julie smiled and started laughing. It was apparent he was still fighting with himself about who this was, but her smile and laughter had been the key.

"Oh my God, baby. I didn't realize it was you."
"I know. So, do you want some of my pie now?"

They both laughed. He pulled her in close, kissing her deeply. He was right about his outfit though, he was sex on a stick in the tight yellow and black tiger print spandex jumpsuit. It had been so long since he had hair that even he looked different.

“Tell me about that pie,” he teased.

Leighanne picked it up and tapped it on its side on the table.

“Um, Alex, sweetie, it is plastic,” she said, not knowing that was not what they were actually talking about. Julie blushed deep red. He would have loved to take her back to the room then, but he had to get back on stage with the guys. He kissed her lightly before getting a red bull at the bar and heading back.


Julie stayed for the whole concert and party. Leighanne had left after the concert. Julie had kept her distance once she went down into the crowd, but still watched AJ. He didn't have anything other than the one Red Bull and water for the rest of the night. She started to wonder if she'd really seen him take a drink.

When she finally made her way back to the cabin it was almost one in the morning. The guys were still going strong but Julie knew she would need sleep if she was going to survive the cruise with late nights each night.

Julie had tried texting Kate a couple of times after the concert to see if she wanted to join her in to dance, but didn't get a response. She wasn't too concerned. Kate was probably asleep and didn't hear her phone.

When Julie opened the door to their cabin, she slipped in quietly so she wouldn’t wake Kate, not bothering to turn on any lights until she stepped into the bathroom and closed the door. She changed into PJs, turned off the light before opening the door and went to climb into bed.

Her heart almost stopped when she realized Kate wasn't there. The bed was still made. There was no sign of Kate having been there since they had left for the party.
She grabbed her phone and quickly called Kate. It went to voicemail. She tried a couple of more times, her heart beginning to pound wildly. She was so scared, so she called AJ.

"Hey beautiful. What happened to you? I didn’t see you at the party."
"Alex, can you call Nick for me?" There was panic in her voice.
"I don't need to. He's right here."
"Is Kate with him?"
"No, why?"
"She said she was coming back to the room. But she's not here.”
"Maybe she got lost and you just beat her back."
"She left before the concert was over, hours ago." Julie was shaking and tears were welling up in her eyes. All she could think about was the note tucked in her purse.
"Ok, we'll look for her. Have you tried her cell?"
"Do you think I'd be bugging you if I hadn't?" she said angrily.
"Hey, baby. Calm down," AJ said trying to sooth her but not happy with the attitude she was giving him.
"Sorry, but where is she?"
"Honey, it's a big boat. She could have stopped for food or she might have made some new friends and lost track of time. Don't worry. We'll find her. What is she wearing?"

Julie described her outfit and set out to look for Kate.
AJ told Nick that Kate was MIA. He immediately dialed Kate's number. It went to voicemail so he tried again.
This time she answer, sleepily.
"Hey, handsome."
"Hi, beautiful. Where are you?"
"I'm on a boat in the middle of the ocean, where are you?"

Nick smacked AJ's arm getting his attention. He whispered to AJ to call Julie back and let her know Kate was ok. AJ nodded.

"Any idea where you are on the boat?" Nick asked.
Kate looked around. It was dark out. She knew she was in a deck chair and she could hear and smell the ocean.
"Not really. I think I fell asleep in a deck chair."
"Ok, I'm going to come find you. Can you describe what's around you?"

Kate described the distance light moving from her left to right. He knew she was on the starboard side. She also told him she hadn't changed decks since leaving the party.
It wasn't too long till he found her. The area was completely deserted. He sat on the end of her chaise.
"You know you had Julie worried," he said.
"I know. She's been yelling at me on text," she said sheepishly.
"Well, don't scare me like that, ok."
"Ok."
"Oh yeah. I got your text," he said.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have sent that."
He put a hand on her leg to stop her.
"You have nothing to worry about. The only girl I want is you. Ok, both of you." He said touching her stomach.
Kate smiled nervously, "That wasn't the only temptation I was thinking of."
"What were you thinking of?"
"Well, when you guys were on the bar handing out shots..."
"Yes..."
"Well Julie was down there and she saw AJ take a shot."
"Really?" he said surprised. "Well baby you don't need to worry about that with me. I don't plan on drinking anymore, ok?"
Kate nodded looking at her lap. He pulled her chin up.
"I'm serious. My focus is about us and my health. I'm not drinking."
He pulled her into his arms. It was then he realized that her skin was cold to the touch. He rubbed her back to warm her up.
"Come on let's get you to bed."

He helped her up and held her hand as they started back towards their rooms.
"So what does your schedule look like tomorrow?" Kate asked.
He sighed, thinking thru his schedule.
"Going to hit the gym in the morning before I have some games to ref and some pool time. I'll email you my schedule."

As they rounded the corner, Kate could hear voices so she dropped Nick's hand. Nick stopped to sign autographs and talk with fans. Kate continued ahead to the next turn then waited for him to catch up.

She was wide awake by the time they made it back to her room. Since Kate's room was in the VIP hallway, the whole hall was blocked by security so no one could go down without a lanyard.
Nick had stopped to distract the fans while Kate slipped into the VIP area. When she reached her room Julie flew to her, pulling her into a tight hug.
"I was so worried."
Kate noticed AJ was sitting on the edge of the bed. He was fully dressed but Kate still raised one eyebrow.
"Did I interrupt something?" she teased.
Julie smacked her arm.
"No. He came to calm me down. I was a wreak."
AJ stood up to leave but Kate stopped him.
"Nick is out there distracting the fans so now isn't a good time for you to switch rooms. I'm going to go take a long relaxing bath with my earbuds in, so if you guys want to..." She made a twirling motion over the bed.
Julie blushed, pressing her lips together. AJ laughed and wrapped an arm around Julie's waist.
Kate gathered her PJs and headed into the bathroom. She ran a bubble bath and soaked listening to Nick's love songs.

AJ moved himself to the head of the bed propping himself up. He patted the bed next to him for Julie to join him. She walked around the bed crawling up next to him. She rested her head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in tight.
"Do you feel better now?" He asked.
She nodded.
Now that Kate was safe, she could feel exhaustion creeping thru her as the adrenaline wore off.


Kate opened the bathroom door. She figured AJ would have left by now, but she was wrong. AJ and Julie were snuggled up on the bed fast asleep. She shook her head. She wasn't really tired since she'd just had a 4 hour nap. She grabbed her book and left Julie a note that she was going to go find something to eat.

She wandered around till she found the banquet room. She was surprised to see that she wasn't the only one eating at three in the morning. She filled a plate from the buffet and sat at large round table. She sat for a while picking at her food and reading her book.
"May we join you?"
Kate looked up to see two women about her age standing in front of her.
"Of course," Kate said.
As the girls sat down they introduced themselves.
"I'm Lauren and this is Tessa."
Lauren was tall and athletic with shoulder length dark brown hair. She had bright blue eyes that reminded Kate of Nick's.
Tessa was shorter. She had long dark hair that fell in waves to her butt.
"Are you enjoying the cruise?" Tessa asked.
"Yes, this is my first cruise. How about you guys?"
"So much fun!" Lauren said excitedly.
Tessa seemed lukewarm about it.
"What's wrong, Tessa?" Kate asked.
"Not really into BSB. I was an N'Sync girl."
Kate smiled.
"Hey, it's still a cruise." Lauren said.

The girls laughed and talked getting to know each other.
"So who's your favorite Backstreet Boy?" Kate asked.
"Well, of the ones here, I'd say Nick but I always liked Kevin. What about you?" Lauren replied, looking right at Kate.
"Oh, I love Nick. His voice makes me melt. How about you Tessa?"
"Um, I guess I'd have to say Howie."

They talked about the concerts and events coming up on the boat.
"I want to do the karaoke contest but I can't talk Lauren into it." Tessa pouted.
"Why do you have to talk Lauren into it?" Kate asked.
"Cause the contest is called Backstreet Babes and you have to have 4 or 5 people." Tessa explained.
"Oh, I didn't realize that. Hm, well maybe the 4 of us should be a group." Kate suggested.
"Um, Kate there are only 3 of us," Lauren said.
Kate laughed, "I was including my friend Julie. She's sleeping."
"Ooo, that sounds great!" Tessa said, "So, what should we sing?"
"Well, what if we meet here for brunch about 11 and we can figure it out."
"Sounds good to me!" Tessa said.

They all headed back to their rooms to get a few hours of sleep.
Kate opened the door to find Julie alone in bed. AJ must have woken up and slipped out because Julie was still on top of the covers.
Kate pulled down the covers on her side of the bed and was soon asleep.

Chapter 16 - Karaoke by Dark-Hunter

In the morning, Kate told Julie about meeting Lauren and Tessa and their idea for the karaoke contest.
"You did tell them I can't sing, right?" Julie said, self-consciously.
"Oh please, you sing just fine. Besides I don't know who the judges are, hopefully not the guys."
"I don't think it’s the guys because AJ was telling me last night what his day would be like and he never mentioned it."
"Good. I don't want that to affect the outcome. Come on, we better head over to meet them," Kate said.

As they walked to the banquet hall, Kate pulled out her phone.
KATE: Morning!
NICK: Good morning! How's my beautiful girl.
KATE: We're good. Hey I was wondering if Kevin ever comes on the cruises?
NICK: Not since he left, why?
KATE: Met someone last night that would like to meet him.
NICK: I'm sure there are lots of girls here who would like to meet him.
KATE: Are they this pretty?
She attached a photo she had snapped of Lauren.
NICK: Hm, may have to forward that.

Lauren and Tessa were waiting at the same table that they had met Kate at the night before. After Kate had introduced everyone they started talking about music.
"So, any ideas what we should sing?" Julie asked.
"Well, the contest rules say it has to be a BSB song," Lauren explained.
"Lauren and I were thinking ‘All I Have To Give’ or ‘Get Down’," Tessa said.
Kate shook her head, "No we need something more obscure, one that not everyone is going do."
Kate and Julie pulled out there phones and began surfing songs, playing bits and pieces to help them decided.
"We could do ‘Crawling Back to You’," Julie suggested.
"No, that one has sentimental attachments to it for us. It wouldn’t be right to sing that this weekend."
"Oh, how about ‘How Did I Fall in Love With You’?" Lauren suggested.
"No, it's mostly a duet. Just Brian and Howie. It needs to be more even. Aha! I got it ‘Inconsolable’!" Kate said.
"I don't know that one," Tessa replied.
Kate played her the song and everyone loved it.
"So, who's going to sing which part?" Lauren asked.
"Well, I can sing any of them," Kate pointed out with confidence.
"I want to sing AJ's part. I do better with the deeper tones." Julie said, "I know that Kate can hit Nick's high notes so she should sing his. That would leave Brian and Howie's parts."
"Which part has less solo?" Lauren asked.
"Um, Howie's. I think." Kate said, "He sings the bridge, though, with Nick."
"Ok, then that leaves me with Brian's part," Tessa said.

Julie suggested they try to find somewhere quiet to practice, but didn’t offer her and Kate’s room. Lauren let them know she had plans to hit the pool at some point, so maybe after lunch they could meet up at her and Tessa’s room.

They finished eating and made their final plans. The first round of karaoke started at 4pm and they had to be there a little early to make sure they got their names in to be called up. At the PDA party, someone would be announcing the groups that would be going on to the next round, which would be the following day.

The girls went their separate ways, agreeing to meet up in two hours at Lauren and Tessa’s room.

Julie suggested they to go to the pool as well. Kate was less than enthusiastic about putting on a swim suit but Julie was excited to put on her new electric blue bikini that had a soft ruffle around the top edge of the bottoms.
Kate wore a tankini with solid brown bottoms and a white top with brown and turquoise floral prints. Despite the pattern, Kate was still acutely aware of her baby bump sticking out. She slipped her turquoise cover up on over her swimsuit.
They both took a book to read by the pool.

They had just sat down when Julie's phone buzzed, indicating she had a message.

ALEX: Wow, Babe. Nice bikini.

Julie glanced around trying to get a sight of AJ. He had to be somewhere close to know she was wearing a bikini. She sent a message in reply.

JULIE: That message could be for any girl here. Look around at all the bikinis. How would I know that message was just for me?

She waited a few minutes to see what his response would be. As she waited, she ran her fingers gently through her hair, trying to avoid her stitches.

ALEX: I don't see any other beautiful women in a blue bikini, with a bald spot on the back of her head.

Julie should have been mad but it made her laugh. Kate looked up from her book, curious. Julie read her the text. Kate went back to reading.

Julie couldn't get into her book, so she people watched, still trying to find Alex. Behind her dark shades, Julie spotted a few of the girls she had met at the hotel, including the little blonde girl that was bound and determined to corner Nick.

Julie followed the girls’ line of sight and saw her eyes were on AJ and Nick. The guys were in the right upper corner by the edge of the pool, where there was a large basket of water toys and guns. Julie smiled big. Nick had no idea he was about to become the prey.

AJ picked up a super soaker water gun and began spraying the crowd. Julie took notice that not one drop of water was sprayed across the chest of any girl. Alex got them across the abdomen or the head, it made her smile.

Julie's eyes went back to be a little blonde girl as she walked slowly, making her way through the crowd, getting closer to Nick. Although the guys had security, they were not paying close enough attention.

The blonde managed to get up right next to the basket. As Nick leaned down to get another loaded water gun, she made her move to get right in front of him. He looked up surprised, seeing the girl so close and took a step back.

"Hi Nick, I'm Courtney. I couldn't help but notice that you're here alone."
Nick looked around at all the people.
"Hardly," he replied.
She stepped closer to him. Nick took a step back.
"So, I was thinking we should hang out," she said stepping closer. Nick stepped back again.
"We are hanging out. Let's go hang out in the pool," he said trying to move closer to his bodyguards.
She took another step closer, backing him into the wall.
"Actually I was thinking we could head back to your room and..."
Nick blushed at what followed.

As this was happening, AJ had two girls in the pool trying to pull him in. The two security guys were too busy dealing with that situation to see what was happening to Nick.

Julie knew AJ would be fine, so she kept an eye on Nick. She decided not to upset Kate, who was deep in her book. Besides she wanted to see what Nick would do.

This girl couldn't have been more than 5' 2" but for some reason she totally intimidated Nick. She grabbed the front of his shirt, catching him completely off guard. His hands went to her shoulders, trying to steady himself. She took it all wrong, thinking he was advancing on her, like she wanted.

Her hands went around his neck, locking her fingers, and she tried to kiss him. Nick was able to push her away before their lips met and side stepped away from her. Julie was laughing so hard. Kate just glanced at her, thinking it was another text from AJ, she followed Julie's line of sight and saw Nick walking back to the pool. She shook her head and went back to her book.

Although she hadn't kissed him, Julie could tell by the look on the girl's face that she was more determined now, than ever. Julie knew she would have to tell Nick and Kate about the girl's plans.

Julie picked her cell back up and sent AJ a text.

JULIE: What? Didn’t you want to take a swim?
ALEX: Not without you
JULIE: Good answer. So, how is Nick?
ALEX: Didn’t know anything was wrong with him.
JULIE: I guess you better ask him.

Julie had just set her cell back down when one of the few servers stopped by to see if they needed anything. They had been out in the sun for over an hour and they both were overheated. Kate asked for a Diet Coke and Julie got a Mountain Dew. She was still a little tired and sitting in the sun was just making her sleepy.

When the server came back, he handed them their drinks. He also handed Julie a small folded piece of paper.
“I was asked to hand this to you.”

Julie took the note and opened it really quick. The server started to walk away, but Julie hollered at him to wait a moment. He stopped and turned to look at her. She quickly read the note.

“Keep smiling, for soon enough, you won’t have any reason to smile.”

Julie looked up at the server, a small smile on her face.

“Do you remember what the girl looked like that handed this to you?” Julie asked.

“Actually, it was the bartender. He said it was given to him to give to you, but he can’t leave the bar. When I went to put in your order, he asked me if the order was for you. I guess he saw me approach you. So, here it is.”

“Any chance you would be willing to ask him where it came from? It’s not a very nice note and I would really like to find out who keeps sending them.”

He asked if he could see it, so she handed it to him. It was then that Kate looked over, wondering what Julie had going on.
“Do you want me to let the security staff know about this? It is a threatening letter, if I ever saw one.” The server sounded really concerned. Julie glanced over at AJ, who was just over the servers shoulder, but on the other side of the boat. She turned back to the server.
“No, don’t worry about it. I just wondered if he might be able to point her out.”
“I will go ask, and be back in a moment.”

Kate had sat up, setting her book aside, as the server walked quickly away.

“Okay. What is going on?” Kate inquired.
“Nothing, Don’t worry about it,” Julie said as she folded the note back up and shoved it into her book.

Kate wasn’t going to let it go. She kept asking Julie about it when the server came back. He didn’t have any helpful news.

“George, the bartender, said that it was passed to him by one of the many girls that have ordered drinks. He really wasn’t looking at her face.” The server blushed, making it obvious he wasn’t straight. “She just pointed you out and said the note went to you. I wish I could tell you more.”

“That’s okay. I still really appreciate you asking for me anyways.” Julie told him. He nodded and excused himself to get back to work.

Kate shifted her legs so she was fully facing Julie. She looked at her sternly. Julie knew she wasn’t going to get out of not telling her. Julie picked up her book and cellphone, as well as her soda.

“Let’s head to the room, and I will tell you.”

Once they were in the room, Julie went to her purse and pulled out the first note she had gotten. Julie explained to her when and where it had first arrived. Kate’s face turned white as she read the note.

“Have you shown AJ this?” Kate asked.
“Oh, God no. He would never have let me on the boat. He does not need to know.”
“Jewels, he needs to know. What if something happens?”
“Nothing is going to happen. I won’t let some jealous bitch ruin my weekend.”
Julie left it at that and went to take a shower. Kate was worried, trying to figure out who sent the letters. She was going to have to be more alert. She also decided to ask Leighanne about what they should do the next time she saw her.

As soon as Julie was out of the shower, Kate followed in suit. Julie sent AJ another text while she waited for Kate.

JULIE: Had to leave the pool. Got to hot. Need to get ready for the contest anyways.
ALEX: Contest?
JULIE: Yeah. Karaoke.
ALEX: Nice what are you singing?
JULIE: Don’t wanna tell you.
ALEX: No fair. I want to come watch but they have us doing water games for the next few hours.
JULIE: No worried. Love you
ALEX: Love you too.

Once Kate was out of the shower and dressed, they headed over to Tessa and Lauren’s room. Julie grabbed her laptop before they left so they could watch the video.
Lauren and Tessa had a small interior room. They had 2 single beds and bathroom with no bath, just a small shower stall. Lauren and Tessa sat on the bed on either side of Julie to watch the video. They played the video over and over, each girl began singing her part.

Once they had the song down they worked on their choreography. There wasn't much to it since it was a ballad, they mostly discussed who would stand where. They decided to coordinate their clothes as much as they could. All the girls had some form of pink shirt and blue jeans.

Once they arrived in the event room, the lady in charge of the contest explained the rules to the girls.
"Ok, I need you to fill out this form with your names and the song your singing. Tonight you'll be judged by a panel of judges from the music industry. They'll be looking for vocal ability as well as how you work together as a group."
"This isn't like American Idol where they critic you, is it cause I'm not sure I can handle that," Kate said.
"No, they have score sheets and they give those to me and I total points and will announce the finalist at the party tonight."
"So, if we make the finals do we have to sing the same song tomorrow?" Julie asked.
"Nope, I'll be contacting the finalist to make sure we have the music they want for tomorrow."
"Is it the same judges tomorrow?" Tessa asked
"No, tomorrow the finalist will be judged at the pool party by the audience. And the winner gets to perform with BSB at prom night."

They quickly filled out their form giving back to the lady. As they waited for their turn to sing, they sat at a table in the back to watch the competition. A waitress came by and took their drink orders.
"I'll have a strawberry daiquiri," Tessa ordered.
"White Russian," Lauren ordered.
"Virgin strawberry daiquiri," Julie ordered.
"Virgin piña colada," Kate ordered.
"Do you guys not drink?" Lauren asked.
Kate and Julie exchanged a look.
"I can't I'm pregnant,” Kate confessed.
"OMG! That's so cool!" Tessa said.
"How far along are you?" Lauren asked.
"Almost 18 weeks," Kate said. She ran her hand over her shirt showing the curve of her belly.
Tessa's hand went to it like a magnet. Lauren smacked Tessa.
"Hey, she may not appreciate that," Lauren scolded.
Kate laughed. "I'm getting used to it. My boyfriend thinks there is a hand magnet in my belly the way his hand is drawn to me."
"I can't believe he let you come on this,” Lauren said, indicating the cruise.
"Oh, he encouraged me to come. He said I'd have fun and since I won't want to travel after the baby is born, he wanted me to have this trip with Julie.”
Julie was impressed; she was definitely rubbing off on Kate. She was getting better at thinking on her feet.
They discussed the competition and how they thought they'd do.

When it was their turn, they went up and sang beautifully. Kate and Julie had no problem singing in front of everyone. They went to karaoke night once a week. Lauren even relaxed and had fun. She had a great voice she just didn't like being in front of all those people. Kate told her to think of if she won she'd get to sing with the guys.
Julie was stunned by Tessa. She was sure between her and Kate they'll definitely make the finals. When they were done they went outside to talk about how they did.
"OMG! That rocked!" Tessa said.
"We did really well," Julie said.
"So assuming we make the finals tomorrow, what are we going to sing?" Kate asked.

As they discussed songs they headed toward the banquet room to have dinner.
"I think we should do a fast song," Julie suggested.

They went through potential song but it was Julie who came up with the perfect song.
"I've got it! 'Straight Thru My Heart'!" She exclaimed.
"Yes! I love that song!" Kate agreed.
"Is that the video where they are vampires?" Lauren asked.
"Yes!" Julie said.
"Vampires?" Tessa asked.
Julie still had her laptop with her because she hadn't returned to her room yet. They all scooted around to watch the video.
Julie had the sound turned down but a girl at the next table asked her to turn it up. She even came over standing behind Julie and Kate to watch.
By the time the video was done a small crowd had gathered.
"I love that video." one girl said.
"I don't know, the red eyes are a little creepy," Said another.
Julie laughed at all the comments.
"Oh we are so doing that song!" Tessa said, "We should try to learn some basic choreography, then we'd be sure to win."

Kate phone buzzed. She looked at her text.
NICK: Hey baby I have some free time. Can you meet me?
KATE: Where?
NICK: I left a spare the key to my room with security. I'll wait till you're there then head that direction.
KATE: On my way.

Julie, Lauren and Tessa were working on the details.
"Do you guys mind if I ditch you for a while? That was my boyfriend and I kinda wanna to talk to him."
"Oh no, go right ahead." Lauren said.
Kate and Julie exchanged a look and smiled knowingly.
"We're going to find a place to rehearse. Just call me when you want to catch up with us."


When Julie and Kate had explored the ship on the first day, they had come across a room meant for fitness classes. There was a long wall with mirrors and a CD player in the corner. The room was empty. There was a paper on the wall, listing class times. Since there was no one there, Julie checked the door, it was unlocked. They quickly moved inside. Julie pulled out her laptop and began teaching them the choreography.

She was able to pick it up really quickly and taught it to the other girls. After about an hour, she turned the sound down so they could barely hear it. The three of them sang and danced, using the mirror as a guide. The girls had learned quickly and Julie had high hopes they would make it to the next level.

They were running through it one last time, when Tessa noticed a few girls had begun to hang out by the door and windows, looking in. As soon as they finished, Julie suggested they be done for now, but would get together again before the PDA party so they could be standing by each other when they announced the groups going to the next level.

Julie picked up her laptop and headed out the door. The girls that were there gave the three of them praises and told them they hoped they were called to the next level so they could see them perform the full song. Julie had no problem asking them to vote for them if they went to the next level.

Kate let herself into Nick's room after making sure the coast was clear. She sent him a text and stretched out on the king size bed. It wasn't long before he joined her.
He looked exhausted. He smiled at Kate stretched out on his bed. She propped herself up on her elbows.
"Hey, handsome." She said.
She sat up as he dropped on the bed next to her. She ran her hand up and down his back scratching with her acrylic nails.
He groaned in pleasure, rounding his back to enjoy the back scratch a little more.
Her hand moved up to his neck. He hung his head as she massaged his neck.
"Poor baby, you must be exhausted."
"Mm-hmm." He moaned.
"Why don't you go have a hot shower and I'll go get some massage oil and work on these knots?" Kate suggested.
"Massage oil?" Nick said raising an eyebrow.
He gave her a playful look. She smiled back at him.
"I thought you were tired."
"There are some things a man is never too tired for."
Kate laughed. She leaned over kissing him.
As he started to get more into it Kate pulled away.
"Shower." she said, pointing at the bathroom.
He groaned but did as instructed.

Kate went to her room retrieving her bottle of massage oil that she had packed.
She returned to Nick's room and waited for him to finish his shower.
He came out with a towel around his waist. He looked so tired Kate felt bad for him.
She moved up on the bed sitting on her knees, patting the bed next to her for him to lie down.
He flopped face down, folding his arms under his head. Kate poured some oil in her hand warming it before applying it to his back. He moaned as she worked on his low back first.
"How did you learn how to do this?" Nick asked.
"Practice."
"Did you go to school?"
"No, I've thought about it but never have."
"I feels really good."
"What time do you have to head back?" Kate asked.
"PDA party starts at 9."
Kate checked the clock and it was only 6:45.
"How long do you need to get dressed?" Kate asked working on his shoulder.
"What? You don't want me to go like this?" He teased.
"You really think this towel will last very long in a room full of screaming fans?" Kate pointed out.
Nick laughed.
"All the guys are wearing pj pants and tee shirts. So it'll take me like 5 minutes to get ready."
"Good, then you can have a little nap."
"A nap?! But I thought we were going to..." Nick said rising up on his elbows.
"You need some rest. We can do that later."
Nick grumbled but laid back down.

Kate worked down his arms as Nick drifted off to sleep. She set an alarm before she curled up next to him. He woke up enough to roll over and pull her close.
"I love you." He whispered sleepily.
"I love you too." Kate replied.

Chapter 17 - PDA Pajama Party by Dark-Hunter

After rehearsing, Julie headed to the room, with all intentions of getting ready for the PDA Pajama Party. She pulled out her ALL ACCESS pass so she could get past the security and to her room. She hadn’t heard from AJ and thought he must have been off doing something with the rest of the guys, except Nick. She knew he was busy.
Julie had just gotten to her cabin and was in the process of opening the door, when another door, a few cabins down, opened as well.

“Hey, sexy. You got plans tonight?” His deep voice resonated through her. She felt like she hadn’t seen him in weeks. She slowly turned around, trying hard not to smile.
“Why, yes. I do have plans tonight. I am going to be in my pajamas, surrounded by half naked, drunk women. Every man’s fantasy.” She took a step towards him, smiling wickedly at him. He took a step towards her, smiling in return.
“Not my fantasy. I don’t need anyone but you.”
They had stepped closer, almost touching each other at that point.
“Are you sure? There are some very beautiful women here and lots of bare skin.”
He took another step closer, closing the distance between them. His arms went around her, pulling her so close to him. His lips were just a breath away from hers.
“They may be beautiful, but they are not Unmistakable.”
Julie kissed him deeply. He always knew when to say the right things. Her hands went to his shaved head, running her fingertips over the bare skin.

They were deep in their kiss when Julie heard the security guy try to explain to a group of girls that the area was secure and only ALL ACCESS passes would get them in. Julie broke their kiss and looked over his shoulder at the group. She didn’t recognize any of them. But one girl looked right at her. Julie knew if looks could kill she'd be dead. She couldn't believe the look of hatred on the girl's face.

“Um, honey, I think we should get out of the hallway.” Julie slightly jerked her chin to indicate what was behind him. As soon as he looked over, the girls realized who Julie had been kissing. They all started calling to him, their individual words all jumbled together, except one girl with long dark hair. She turned around so only the back of her head was visible.

Julie grabbed his hand and pulled him to her door. She didn’t want them to know for sure where he was staying, even though it was only a few doors away; she wanted to throw them off. As soon as they were in her room, AJ burst out laughing. Julie, on the other hand, was a little worried. She didn’t need word to get out that she had been seen kissing him.
She went and sat on the edge of the bed and took a deep breath. She looked up at him and smiled. He didn’t need to know what was on her mind. He had enough going on. She did not want to add worry to it.

He stepped up to her, stepping in between her knees. His hands went into her hair, being mindful of her stitches. He kissed her forehead before looking into her eyes.
“How is your head? Have you been taking your pills?” Julie smiled at his concern.
“Yes, I have been taking my pills. No, my head doesn’t hurt, much.”
He didn’t miss the ‘much’. He kissed her on each temple, then moved down her face to kiss her lips with a great tenderness.
“Do you know what is the best way to get rid of a headache?” he teased.
“Tylenol?” she teased back.
“Sex. With your favorite Backstreet Boy.”
Julie whole face changed before AJ's eyes. She pushed him away and stood up. He had said the wrong words, used the wrong tone in his voice. He was being AJ and all she wanted right then was Alex. The worst part was, he didn’t even realize what he had done. A knot was building in her stomach and she didn’t know why.
“You probably should go. I need to get ready and I am sure they need all the Backstreet Boys at the PDA party on time.”
She intentionally said BSB instead of using his name. Julie stepped up to the door and opened it. She stood there, holding the door open, waiting for him to exit. As he walked past, he leaned in to kiss her. Julie turned her head right as his lips would have met hers and his kiss went to her cheek. He was baffled, What had just happened?

“So, I will see you at the party. Mickey Mouse, right?”
Julie just nodded and closed the door. As soon as she heard it click, she leaned her forehead against the cold door. Her head was seriously hurting now. She stood there for a moment, trying not to cry. And she didn’t know why she was feeling that way.
She finally pushed herself away from the door and went to the bathroom. She piled all her hair into a bun and put on the shower cap she found on the tray with the soaps and shampoos. As she stood in the hot shower, Julie began to cry. At first it was just little tears that fell, but soon enough, she was sobbing. Her body shook with violence as she bawled. And she didn’t even know why she was crying. But the harder she tried to stop, the more she sobbed.

When her hands and feet were all pruney, she finally stepped out. Julie used a cloth to wipe at the moisture on the mirror. She wasn’t overly surprised when she saw her face was red and puffy. And she thought she had had a headache before. She picked up the bottle of pain meds and quickly took one.

When Julie stepped back into the main room of the cabin, she picked up her cell phone to turn on some music, hoping it would put her in a better mood. But as soon as she lit up the screen, she saw she had a few messages from Kate.

KATE: Where are you rehearsing at? I am ready to join you.
KATE: Hello…
KATE: What is going on? Alex just sent a text to Nick wanting to know if I knew what was up with you.
KATE: Julie! Quit ignoring me! What is wrong?

Julie sent Kate a short text, simply letting her know she was in the room and had been in the shower. She went to her suitcase and looked inside. If AJ wanted a BSB fan tonight, she would let him have one. She picked up her Mickey Mouse pj’s and threw them across the room. They fell in a small heap by the chair.

She pulled out a matching bra and panty set she had brought for Prom Night. It was a navy bra, with a little push up and bikini panties. Both had a hint of lace at the edges. Her shoes for her prom dress even matched her undies. It was pure luck that her satin slip and robe that she had worn the night she gave Alex her virginity, matched her undies. She left the slip in the suitcase and just grabbed her robe. She went to the bathroom and plugged in her curlers. She had just gotten dressed in her undies and robe when Kate came in. Nick was right behind her.

When he saw what she was, or more to the point, wasn’t wearing, he excused himself to let them get ready. He kissed Kate and told her he'd see her later.

Julie went right into the bathroom, basically avoiding Kate. She worked on getting her make up done and her hair rolled. Having known Julie for so long, Kate let her finish getting ready. She knew when Julie was ready to talk, she would. Kate went to her suitcase and got out her things. She laid them out on the bed and turned to Julie. She was standing in the doorway to the bathroom. Kate could tell by the look in her eyes that Julie was on the verge of tears.

“Jewels? Why are you not in your Mickey Mouse pj’s? I thought you wanted to be different, so AJ could find you,” Kate inquired when she noticed the pile of red and black fabric by the chair.

Julie bit her lower lip, trying not to cry.

“Not to be TMI but Alex hasn’t been with me since we were back at his place. And then, tonight, he wasn’t my Alex. He was the bad boy AJ.” Julie went on to tell Kate what had happened. Kate tried not to laugh. She was the hormonal one, yet Julie was a mess.
"Well, it's not like you've had a lot of time with him," Kate stated. "Nick and I haven't done anything since the hotel."
Julie flopped down on the side of the bed.
"I didn't even get any at the hotel." She whined.
Kate smiled at her friend; apparently she forgot a few details.
"Jewels, the night in the hotel, you had just gotten out of the hospital and were doped up on pain meds."
"Oh, yeah," Julie said sadly.
“But that doesn’t explain why the Mickey jammies are in a pile in the corner,” Kate pointed out.
“Sure it does. If he wants a fan, then I will be one tonight. I am gonna walk out there dressed like every other skanky ho.”

Kate shook her head in disapproval. But she knew she couldn't talk Julie out of it. She went and picked up Julie’s Mickey jammies and laid them on the bed. She knew Julie would be back for them before the night was over.

Kate asked about how rehearsals went, to get Julie to talk about anything and get her mind off her emotions. She picked the right topic. Julie went on about how well everyone did and how she really hoped they got to move on, just to show off their dance moves. Julie told Kate how they had agreed to all be together when the announcement was made. If they didn’t go on to the next level, it was alright. At least they had had fun and made new friends in the process.

As Julie piled all her curls up, to keep her neck free and hide her little bald spot, Kate finished her make up. Julie sent a text to Tessa, telling her to meet them by the main staircase so they could all walk in together.


Tessa and Lauren stood at the base of the elegant staircase. Tessa’s long black hair shone in the light. She had on a floor length red slip with a sheer red robe over it. Lauren had on a light pink baby doll style dress with bloomers and heels with faux fur across the toes. They both smiled big when the Julie and Kate walked up to them.
“So, we ready to do this?” Lauren asked.
“Do what?” Tessa said, a little confused.
They all laughed at her comment.
“Go to the PDA party, silly” Lauren said to Tessa. Tessa blushed bright red.
They all walked up the staircase and into the grand ballroom together. The room had been transformed into a huge slumber party. All the tables and chairs had been removed. In their place were couches, bean bag chairs and sleeping bags spread out on the floor.
Due to the fact they were in their jammies, the girls had left their cellphones in their rooms. Julie had two small pockets on her robe, so she had both her and Kate’s ALL ACCESS lanyards in them.

The party was already in full swing. All four guys were up on the stage, dancing to the music, having a good time. Kate caught sight of Leighanne and Howie’s wife, sitting at one of the many couches on the stage, behind the guys. They had also seen Kate and Julie joining the party. Leighanne waved to them.

Julie looked around at the sea of girls. She had been right, so many of them were dressed in very little. She saw a lot of red and black and white, but not a single other girl in navy.

They made their way through the crowds. Tessa and Lauren both decided they needed a drink. Julie hated to admit it, but she really wanted one as well. They were surprised to find a low table with two arm chairs still empty. Julie insisted that Kate sit down and she would go get her a virgin drink.

When she reached the bar, Julie’s self-control had left. She ordered a shot of tequila. It was down her throat before the other two girls had even decided what to drink. Julie ordered Kate a virgin pina colada and a normal one for herself. By the time they had made their way back to the table, the tequila had warmed Julie.

Julie handed Kate her drink, then took a long pull from her own. Kate looked at her, a little concerned. She could tell Julie had had alcohol. Her cheeks were already turning pink. She hadn’t had any liquor in months so anything she consumed would hit her fast.

The DJ was spinning tunes and Julie decided she needed to dance. Kate didn’t want to lose the table and Lauren wasn’t in the mood to dance, so Tessa followed Julie to the area where people were dancing. The tequila was kicking in and Julie felt herself lighten up. She was letting her body feel the music, her eyes were closed and she moved with the beat. Little did she know a set of dark eyes were watching her.

Julie and Tessa returned to the table a while later. Julie picked up her pina colada and finished it quickly. The DJ stopped playing so the guys could perform a few songs. They chose to sing a few of the unreleased songs. They started with ‘Dance (Set It Off)’. As soon as they started, Julie grabbed Tessa’s hand and pulled her into the thick of the crowd. She jumped up and down, acting like any of the wild and crazy fan girls.

Since Tessa didn’t know Julie was dating AJ, and her liquor was kicking in, she tried to get them closer to the stage. There was still a large crowd in front the two girls. They had started a new song. ‘Sick As My Secret’, another unreleased song. Julie found a small break in the crowd and pulled Tessa through. There were only a few girls in front of them, but they were on the far right side of the stage.

Howie happened be on their side for his solo and when looking into the crowd, caught sight of Julie. His eyes were huge when he saw what little she was wearing. Her robe had come untied when they worked their way through the crowd. He could tell she only had on her bra and panties.

Before he could get to AJ and point her out, the song had ended and ‘PDA’ had started. They were only set to sing the three songs before getting another break. He had every intention of letting AJ know where Julie was when the song was over, but things didn’t work out that way.

AJ had yet to see Julie and was disappointed as they had started their set. He had hoped she would get close to the stage so he could sing to her. But by the time they started ‘PDA’, he still hadn’t been able to locate her. He scanned the crowd, looking for the Mickey Mouse pajamas that should stand out in a sea of scantily clad women.

When he got to the bridge of the song, he needed someone to sing to. A pretty redhead was in front of him, up against the stage, smiling his way. He stepped to the very edge of the stage and sang to her.

From the lobby to the patio
And we’re so compatible
From the Starbucks to the Navo
And we’re so compatible


Julie watched as he took the hand of a beautiful girl and sang to her. He kissed her knuckles when his part was done. He stood back up and winked at her before getting back to the choreography.

Her insecurities kicked in full force. Why would he want her when he could have any girl on the boat? Surely many of them had way more experience and could please him better. And far too many were better looking than her. Without thinking of Tessa, she pivoted and pushed her way through the crowd, headed straight for the bar.

It was then that AJ was able to see her. He couldn’t miss the rush of navy as she moved away from the crowd, bursting out of a group of girls. It was her hair, falling from it pins, that let him know it her. No one else had hair the same chestnut color as Julie. The way the light hit it just right let him know it was her.

His eyes stayed on her as he continued to finish the song and she stepped up to the bar. But he actually missed a step as he watched her take a shot of a gold substance. He could only guess it was tequila. A knot formed in his stomach. Maybe it was because he sang to the redhead. Hadn’t Julie asked him to flirt with the girls? She knew he loved her, didn’t she?

As soon as their set was over and the DJ began to spin tunes again, AJ got a bodyguard and headed for Julie. He didn’t care what happened. He knew he needed to get to her.

Two more shots later, Julie was about to order another when someone tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around to come face to face with the girl she had seen in the hall when she had been kissing AJ, the girl who had turned her back when AJ had looked her way. The girl gave Julie a hard shove. Julie wasn’t going to have any of that. She stood her ground. All she wanted to do was shove her back, but what good would that do?
“What the hell is your problem?” Julie yelled at her.
“Who do you think you are, kissing AJ,” the girl yelled back.
Julie just laughed.
“A little jealous, are we?” Julie said, the tequila fuelling her bravery.
The girl looked her up and down, a look of disgust on her face.
“Jealous? Hardly. Look at you. You are nothing but a skanky ho.”
Julie laughed again.
“Oh, yeah. You are so jealous. Should I tell you how soft his lips are, or how strong his arms are? Or maybe how he would never want you?”

Julie had said the wrong thing. The girl was seeing red. What Julie thought was jealousy on the girl’s face was quickly becoming rage. She pulled her fist back, as if she was going to punch Julie. But Julie saw it coming and ducked as the girl’s hand swung at her. Julie had done enough dirty dancing to easily go low. The girl lost her balance and fell. Julie stood back up and laughed before she turned back to the bar.

In the commotion, the girls around had not seen that AJ and his guard were now behind the bar, about to pass out free shots. Julie was shocked when their eyes met. But not as shocked as he was when he saw her opened robe and her heaving breasts. Julie leaned up against the bar, her breasts almost resting on the edge. She looked into his deep brown eyes. But she was drunk enough that she didn’t see the hurt reflecting there.

“I’ll take one of those shots. And by the way, I am your biggest fan,” Julie said in a sing song voice.
AJ just shook his head before he leaned in close to her, his elbows on the bar. He didn’t care if anyone heard him, but he still spoke as quietly as he could.
“Baby? Why are you doing this?”
Julie stood up straight.
“But I thought this was what you wanted? A fan girl.”
He shook his head. The girls around were pushing their way up to him, reaching and screaming for a free shot from him, even though he had yet to pass a single one out.
“No. This is what you wanted. You told me to be AJ this weekend. So I am. What is your excuse?”

His words hit her in the face. He was right. She was the one being stupid and cruel. She took a step back, almost tripping on the girl behind her. His attention had been pulled away so he was no longer looking at her.
Julie pushed her way past everyone and began running out of the ballroom, tears streaming down her face. She had been so wrong about everything. She had no reason to be upset, but AJ had every reason. Would he ever forgive her for what she had done?

Kate had seen Julie head back to the bar. She excused herself from Lauren and started making her way towards the bar. She had seen the girls try to attack Julie and was surprised that Julie didn't strike back. But Kate knew the real trouble was the confrontation with Alex. She had watched his expression as Julie played the tramp.
Julie stopped at the doorway of the ballroom and took off her heels before running down the hall.
Kate made her way to the bar with great care and great skill. When AJ saw her, he went right over to her and leaned close to hear her.
"I'll talk to her," Kate said.
He covered her hand with his.
"Please don't," he said shrugging. "She's drunk."
"That's no reason for her to treat you that way."
He sighed. "Thanks. Don't worry. I'll talk to her when she sobers up."
Kate's heart broke for him as she watched him go back to treating his fans. He was a good actor. All the girls surrounding him would never know his heart was breaking.


Chapter 18 - Mistakes by Dark-Hunter

Julie pulled out her ALL ACCESS pass and had her door open before she had a chance to wipe away the tears that had fallen. She took a deep breath and tried to center herself. Seeing him like that and the things he had said, had sobered her up faster than 10 cups of coffee and a good night’s sleep. She had every intention to throw herself on the bed and wallow in self-pity, until she saw her Mickey Mouse pajamas lying nicely on the bed. She wouldn’t blame him if he never forgave her. She didn’t think she would ever forgive herself.

She picked up her phone to turn on some tunes and make the silence go away. It was as if fate had known what she had done. It was still in her BSB playlist. A song was already started, but only a little bit into it. She sat on the very edge of the bed and listened to the lyrics. AJ’s haunting voice sang to her.

You had me fooled
You were so good at that
I'm so unglued
Too many pieces to put back
And you were the best by far
How did we end up like this?
Don't even know who you are
I can't believe it's like this
I wanna know

How does it feel to be a fallen angel?
Your wings are lying on the ground
How does it feel to be a fallen angel
Forever is a long way down
You were everything that I thought I wanted to be
But everything has disappeared for me
So how does it feel?
How does it feel to be a fallen angel of love?

She didn’t make it through the full song. She turned her player off, setting her phone gently down on the bed. Julie took a deep breath. The words were right. She was a Fallen Angel. How had she come to that?

She went into the bathroom and drank a large glass of water as she took the rest of the pins out of her hair that held up her curls before she washed off all her dark make up.

Julie went to her suitcase and got her basic white bra and panties and her ballet slippers out. She changed into her Mickey pajamas and white undies, brushed her hair as straight as she could, and put on the barest of make-up. All she wanted now was to look like Alex’s girlfriend. Before she left the room, she took another deep breath and sent him a text.

JULIE: I will understand if you never forgive me. I can’t forgive myself. I don’t know why I was being so shallow. Just know that no matter what, I love you, Alex. Leaving my phone in my room.

She plugged her phone in to the charger in the bathroom and looked at herself one more time. She couldn’t help but let out a deep sigh. She didn’t want to go back to the party, but she needed to be there for her friends.

Julie had just walked into the ballroom when the woman that had been in charge of the karaoke contest, took the stage. Julie moved quickly to stand by Kate’s side. She didn’t say anything, but the look on Kate’s face said it all. Julie hung her head in shame.

The woman introduced herself as Charlotte. She went on to talk about all the amazing groups that had performed, but they had to get it down to only ten groups. She said the finalist would be performing at the beach party, on the main stage, as an opening act for the BSB Beach Party Concert. The crowd was in frenzy over the news. Julie saw Lauren turning white. Kate reached over and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Charlotte went through the list, eight groups had been listed and Julie was beginning to feel defeated. The evening had already gone to hell, so this would just be the icing on the cake. The ninth was announced and they were still not listed. Tessa looked like she was about to cry. As she was about to announce the final group, all four girls reached to the closest girl so they all were holding each other’s hands. Julie and Kate both held their breath as they heard Charlotte say Kate’s name, followed by Julie, then Lauren, then Tessa. The girls had made it to the next round. They all hugged each other and bounced up and down, as best they could without hurting Kate’s belly.

AJ and Nick were sitting on one of the couches on the stage, watching the announcement. They both were happy the girls had moved to the next level. The DJ was just starting another set. Nick turned to AJ, checking on his friend.

“Are you ready to tell me what happened?” Nick asked, deep concern in his voice.
“She was drunk, Nick. Why would she do that? And did you see what she was wearing? This is worse than what happened at my house!”
Nick had seen what she was wearing. All of the guys did, but none of them had wanted to be the one to point it out to him.
“What happened at your place?” Nick wasn’t sure he wanted to know.

AJ went on to tell him about the comment Julie had made, about him not wanting her anymore. He kept out other details that were not important. He then told Nick about Julie pushing him out the door earlier.
“What did you say?" Nick asked. It seemed out of character for Julie to just shove him out. AJ had to have said or done something.
AJ sighed, trying to recall what had happened.
“I had asked her about her head, I could tell it was bothering her. Then I told her sex was the best cure for a headache.” He looked up sharply at Nick, realization across his face. “Ah, shit. What I said was something like, having sex with her favorite Backstreet Boy.”

Nick started laughing. He patted his best friend on the back of the head.

“Dude. Are you really that stupid?” he teased.
“Excuse me?”
“Think about it. Julie and Kate weren't there to see us in Minneapolis. They were there for New Kids. Julie is the only girl on the entire boat that would take offence to being offered to have sex with a Backstreet Boy, and you said to her. I am sure she was upset when you said that. She loves Alex. Not AJ.”

Nick’s words hit him hard. He had been completely wrong. He pulled his phone out and looked at Julie’s text again. She was feeling like she had ruined everything, but he had been the one to start it. He stood up, looked at Nick, nodded, and walked off the stage.

“Okay, girls. I am outta here. I really need to get out of this party. I really screwed things up and I don’t want to have to face the music.” Julie turned to walk away, to go back to her room, but Kate gently grabbed her arm.
“Are you sober now? Because I don’t think you will be alone for long.” She indicated with her chin, the direction to look.
Julie looked over her shoulder and saw AJ and his entourage of girls behind him, walking with too much speed, towards them. He had a look of resolve on his face.
“Yeah. I am sober. But I can’t do this. I can’t have anyone else see me with him.” Julie turned and quickly walked away, hoping to get some distance.

Julie was stopped when she got to the security to her hallway. In her rush, she had left her ALL ACCESS lanyard in the room. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t convince the security guy that her room was down the hallway. She even showed him her key, which she had remembered to put in her bra, but he still wouldn’t let her pass.

She was just about to give up and go walk along the decks outside when AJ stepped up. Not caring about the girls following him, his arms slipped around her waist and his chin rested on her right shoulder.

“She is with me,” was all he said.
The security guy moved out of the way so they could get past. AJ stepped back from her, but moved to stand beside her and took her hand. He led her to his door, not even asking her if she wanted to go.

When he opened the door, she looked around, barely moving in. His room was basically the same as hers. He had dropped her hand when they had entered. She stood by the closing door, watching him walk up to the edge of the bed. He took a deep breath before he turned back to her.

Julie wanted to weep at the look in his eyes. She involuntarily took a step backwards. She looked down at her black ballet shoes and whispered, “I am so sorry.”
He heard her, but barely. He moved to stand right in from of her, lifting her chin to force her eyes to meet his.
"Are you upset about what I said, about having sex with a Backstreet Boy?"
Julie began to tremble.
She nodded.
"I was just joking, you know," he said, frustrated that she had misinterpreted.
"I don't want AJ; I want Alex," she said, her voice almost inaudible.
"Julie, being a Backstreet Boy is part of who I am. And I'm sorry you misunderstood my intentions but next time, you need to just talk to me. I'm not a mind reader."

Tears leaked from her eyes, leaving a little trail down her cheek. He reached up to wipe one away. She just stood there in that moment, her thoughts kept to herself, her eyes going back to her feet.
"I'm sorry," she said again.
"Alcohol is not the answer. Trust me." He walked over to sit on the edge of the bed. It was hard to watch Julie do the same destructive things that his friends and family had watched him do.

She stepped closer to him, but not wanting to invade his space, she sank to the floor on her knees in front of him with her head down and eyes on the floor.
She hadn’t wanted to tell him about the letters, but the more she thought about, the more it made her realize it was part of what lead to what happened. She looked up at him, her eyes still swimming with more unshed tears. She wanted to wipe them away. She never cried, but her emotions seemed to run much higher around AJ.
He just sat there and waited for her to talk.

“Do you remember when I got pushed in the pool?” she asked.
His face turned a shade whiter.
“I could never forget. I thought I was going to lose you."
“I don’t think it was because I was dancing with Donnie.” She paused for a moment. “The next morning, when I went down for breakfast alone, I was given a note. A rather unpleasant note.”
He waited for her to continue. He could see something in her eyes. Almost fear. But for what he didn’t know.
“The note was threatening. But I blew it off as a jealous fan.” When he started to say something, she held up her hand to stop him. “I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to worry about it. I thought it would just go away.”
“But it didn’t, did it?”
“No. I got another one today. And then, when we were kissing in the hallway, one of the girls saw us and,” she paused for a moment, remember the girl's face. “If looks could kill, I would have been dead. She confronted me later, at the bar. I don’t know if she sent the notes, though.”
“To me, that would say you need to be more on alert, not drunk.”
“I know. I could come up with a dozen excuses, but they are just that. Excuses.  I think that whoever is sending these thinks I am just a fan dating a Backstreet Boy. And what you said to me, it made me think that you wished I was just a fan, adoring you. I know, it’s stupid, but that’s what I was doing. Being a half-naked, drunk fan.” He was about to interrupt her, but she spoke again before he could.

“And I now know that I'm jealous of the fans. When I was there tonight, in my underwear,” she blushed a deep shade of red, ”pretending to be a fan, it was thrilling to be like them, trying to get your attention. And then you sang to that girl and I...I lost it," Julie said, her voice trembling.

He moved off the bed, dropping down in front of her. He took one of her hands into his and kissed her knuckles. She looked up into his eyes.
“This is why I love you, though, because you are not just a fan. You are my Jewels. My New Kids girl," he said smiling.
A hesitant smile crossed her lips.
"But no more holding back, ok?" He said seriously.
She nodded, taking a shaky breath.
"First, do you still have the notes?"
She nodded again.
He stood up and walked to the room phone.
"I need ship's security to my room please."
AJ went with Julie to her room to retrieve the notes. He made her tell the story of how she received them to security, so they could launch an investigation.



Kate had sent up a silent prayer as she watched AJ take off after Julie. She spent the next couple of hours hanging out with Tessa and Lauren. Nick and Howie had performed some of their solo songs and the girls had all danced.

Kate was getting tired and she was planning on getting up early. She said goodnight to the girls, telling them she'd text them in the morning. When she got back to her room she realized that she didn't know if Julie and AJ were in his room or theirs. He decided to play it safe and let herself into Nick's room, grateful he had given her a key earlier. She didn't even bother turning on the light as she crawled into his bed.

When Nick arrived an hour later, he was surprised to find Kate sound asleep in his bed. She hadn’t even blinked when he had turned on the light upon entering to room. He quickly turned it off and crawled in snuggling up behind her. She made a contented sound as his body pressed up against hers, his hand naturally going to their growing baby.
"Is the party over?" Kate said, sleepily.
"Yes."
"Did you have fun?"
"Well, I have to say, the best part of the night was finding you here," he said kissing her neck.
Kate sighed contentedly. Nick knew that she quickly fell back to sleep because her breathing evened out and her body relaxed against him.

After AJ and Julie were done with the security people and back in his room, Julie felt like her nerves were raw. She was still shaking, not so much from fear, she was just emotionally overwhelmed. Alex looked at her and suggested a hot bath. She just nodded before heading to the bathroom. She started the water, making it as hot as she could stand. Alex came up behind her and poured a small vial of oil that he had picked out from a little basket of oils on the edge of the tub. The room was quickly filled with the comforting sent of eucalyptus.

 
Julie just stood there, nothing to say, as the water filled the tub. Alex reached over and turned the water off. He turned to face her, taking the hem of her shirt into his hands. Without speaking, and without breaking eye contact, Alex undressed Julie. She stood before him, naked. Not just physically, but in every way possible. She had never felt so vulnerable in her entire life.

She stepped into the tub, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around her legs. She rested her forehead on her knees, letting out a deep sigh. She didn’t think he would join her, but she was pleasantly surprised as she listened to him shed his own clothing before stepping in behind her. Alex pulled her back against him so their skin met. He was surprised to find her skin was so cold. He reached for a wash cloth and used it to pour water over Julie’s shoulders.

Julie rested her head back against his shoulder, turning inward to face his chest, so her stitched were not touching him. Alex turned his head to her and kissed her gently. Julie felt like he was forgiving her, but she didn’t feel like she deserved his forgiveness.

“I can’t tell you how happy I was though, to see my Julie come back to the party,” he said quietly. Julie lifted her head to look at him, slightly confused. He saw the look on her face and explained. “When you came back, for the karaoke announcement, you were my Julie again, the Mickey Mouse jammies.” Julie smiled weakly. It was because of Kate. If Kate had not put Julie’s jammies on the bed, Julie may not have come back. She had to remember to thank Kate for that later.

He picked the cloth back up and began washing Julie. It was almost metaphoric, like they were washing away the night, together. His hands started out just washing, but then became exploratory. Julie closed her eyes as his hands moved over her body, causing her to shiver in pleasure at times. She could feel his body began to change, the bulge behind her pressing against her.

Julie sat forward and turned in the tub, splashing water over the edge. Facing him, she slid her legs over his, so he had to scoot forward to accommodate her long stems. Her hands went to the back of his neck, pulling him closer for a deep, powerful kiss. Everything that had happened that night was still within her, needing to be set free. She lifted herself up and impaled herself upon him. They both sucked in their breath at the tightness of her sheath.

She rode him, water moving with the motion of them. It splashed over the edges, but they didn’t care. Her body milked him, drawing them both to a fevered pitch. When his mouth found her breast and he began to suckle, it did her in. Her body burst into a million pieces and she cried out in ecstasy. He bucked under her, trying to get his own release. She rode out her own orgasm, pushing him to his own. When his own ending came, he gripped on to her, pulling her close to him, their lips meeting. His body shuttered as his body released. They lay there for a moment; their bodies still one, as the water began to get cold.

“I love you, Alex,” Julie whispered.
“I love you, too, Julie.”


Chapter 19 - Ashore by Dark-Hunter

Julie opened her eyes as the sunlight filled the room. She listened to Alex’s deep breathing, inhaled in his scent. Her body was deliciously sore. They had more than made up for the time they hadn’t been together. She didn’t want to move, she could have stayed there forever. But she needed to get up and get a shower.

She very carefully slid out of the bed and found her pajamas and room key. She dressed in silence, but something didn’t feel right. She couldn’t put her finger on what it was. With as little noise as possible, she slipped out of the room. Not sure if Kate was still in bed or not, she used the same ninja skills to open the door without a sound. She was actually relieved when she found the room empty and untouched. She knew Kate would be with Nick.

It wasn’t until Julie was in the shower that she realized why she felt so funny. The boat wasn’t moving. She dried off and wrapped a towel around herself before going to the window. Sure enough, they had docked.

Julie dressed in a white flowing summer dress, and white sandals. She brushed her hair out and put it up in a ponytail. She put on the barest make-up and grabbed her phone and ALL ACCESS pass. She remembered she had bought a small hand purse for the day they were docked. She put her pass and room key in her little purse, along with her wallet.

She sent out a few texts, hoping someone else was awake.

JULIE: Katy, heading to breakfast. We need to go shopping on the island so hurry up and wake up.
JULIE: Tessa, are you up? I am starving and don’t want to go to breakfast alone.
JULIE: Lauren. Wake up Tessa and come have breakfast with me… please.
JULIE: Alex, I love you. See you on the beach later. Don’t forget, I am one of your opening acts.
She put her phone in her purse and headed out the door to breakfast. But she didn’t get far. There were two security guys at the entry to their hallway. One of them was very tall, with black hair that was possibly to his shoulders, but pulled back into a ponytail at the nape of his neck. The other guy was about Julie’s height, with mouse brown hair and a young face. The tall man stepped over, blocking Julie’s way from leaving the hallway.

“I am sorry, Miss Flynn. But we were told you were not allowed to leave the secure area unless you had someone with you.”
Julie stood there a moment, not quite sure she heard him right. She cocked her head slightly to the side before she spoke.
“And who told you I couldn’t leave?” she asked.
“Head of security, Miss Flynn.”
Julie smiled a sweet smile at him.
“Well, that’s nice and all, but unnecessary. I am just headed to breakfast.”
“I am sorry, Miss Flynn. But we have orders.”
Julie tried to keep her calm, but she was getting irritated. She took a deep breath and pulled her phone out of her purse. No one had replied to her text and if she didn’t eat soon, she was going to get really cranky. She looked back up at the guys.
“Well, none of my friends have texted me back and I need to eat. So either let me past, or one of you can come with me. Either way, I am going to breakfast.”
The younger guy started laughing. He looked at the tall guy before replying.
“Dev, she is all yours. Besides, how often do you get to go have breakfast with a beautiful girl?” He gave the guy a slight shove, as if trying to get him to go, but he stood his ground. He looked between Julie and the other security guy.
“I don’t think that was part of the detail,” he said quietly.
“Guys, I don’t want to get you into trouble, but really. I don’t need anyone to watch me eat. Just let me past, and no one will know.”
“I really am sorry, Miss Flynn. But we have orders.”
He turned his back to her, but still blocked the way. Julie huffed. Now she was mad.

She didn’t want to take it out on the one person who really cared about her, but this was ridiculous. Since she didn’t have a key to his room, she went to AJ’s door and banged on it hard. The noise Julie was making caused another door to open, just as AJ was getting his opened. Kate was across the hall, sticking her head out of Nick’s room.

“Jewels? What’s wrong?” Kate asked, before AJ had a chance to say anything.
“Damn security won’t let me leave unless I have someone with me. I just want to go to breakfast!”
Kate laughed. She knew how cranky Julie could be if she didn’t eat something right after waking up. She looked over her shoulder to talk to Nick, while Julie turned to face AJ.

“Baby. I just want you to be safe. Besides, you and Kate are inseparable, so I didn’t see there being any problems. I'm sorry.” He opened the door further, trying to get her to come in. She wasn’t mad at him, just the situation, but she stood where she was.
“Julie, give me just a few minutes and we can go down there together, okay?” Kate asked. Julie just nodded and stepped into AJ’s room. He shut the door and she sat on the edge of the bed.
“Why did you leave and not wake me up?” he asked.
“You needed to sleep. I could tell you were exhausted by the way you were breathing.”
He smiled before kissing her. She was looking out for him when he was trying to look out for her.
“Well, please keep close to Kate today. Are you planning on going ashore?”
Julie tried not to laugh. Of course she was going ashore. The girls were opening for them tonight, as part of the karaoke contest. She smiled at him and kissed his nose.
“Alex, I will be fine. I think you are over reacting to this whole thing. I am sure it will all blow over soon.”
He looked at her, raising one eyebrow. It didn't seem like overreacting last night but then she was completely sober now and the sun was shining, chasing away all the bad dreams.

There was a knock at the door. AJ moved to see who it was and was happy to see Kate standing in the hallway. Kate was wearing a black Hawaiian dress that tied around the neck.
“Breakfast, then?” she asked.
“Please!” Julie replied.
Julie gave Alex one more kiss before heading out the door. She stopped just as the door was closing and looked back at him.
“See you on stage,” she whispered.

Kate and Julie had just gotten seated with their food when Tessa and Lauren came into the dining hall, both still in their jammies from the party the night before. Kate waved at them to join them at their table. The two girls went to get food then sat down. Kate explained to Tessa and Lauren, the ideas her and Julie had come up with.

In Nassau, there was a shop called The Girls of Brazil. It was just off of Legendary Bay Street. Julie had googled on her phone to find a shop that might have what they needed. Because of all of the colorful festivals they had through-out the year, in Nassau, there was a place they could get costuming supplies. Kate had suggested trying to get red contacts and Julie thought about vampire teeth. Both of which could be found in that store.
Even though Lauren and Tessa were barely awake, this got them all excited. They put in their two cents about what they should wear.

Julie had to remind them all though, that Kate still didn’t know the choreography, so they still needed time to teach the dance to Kate. They decided to head ashore and check out the city first so they could return to the boat to rehearse and get ready.

As they walked along the pink sidewalks, past the beautiful trees and the charming lampposts, the girls were laughing about how fate had brought them all together. When they got to the shop ‘Girls of Brazil’, they were blown away by all the colorful costume pieces they had. They had no problem finding part of what they needed. The girls had decided they should wear something red as well. Julie already had her red Cherry Pie top she could wear with skinny jeans and her red heels and Tessa pointed out that almost everything she brought was red. Kate was hoping to find something at the shop that would work for her. She checked out different styles of red shirts but she knew what she wanted. She was looking for a red jacket. Nick had worn one in the video ad since she was singing his part she wanted one too. She knew it was silly but she couldn't help it.

As they walked around, Julie’s heart stopped. In front of her was a rack full of petticoats, in every color imaginable, including red. She reached out for the red one, pulling it to her chest like a child with a teddy bear. She had been devastated when her petticoat had been ruined after the pool incident. She knew she had to get it.

A very flamboyant salesman approached Kate.
"Can I help you find anything?" he asked.
"Do you carry red contacts, by chance?" Kate asked.
"Red? Let me check."
He returned from the back room with 2 vials.
"Yes I do!" He said excitedly.
"Great! Do you have 3 more pairs?"
He smiled, "Is this a vampire cruise?" He asked.
"No, we are just performing a Backstreet Boys song tonight and in the video they were vampires." Kate explained.
"OMG! They are performing here tonight! I can't wait to go see them." He exclaimed.
"Well then you'll see us too. They are having a singing contest and the finalists perform before BSB."
"OMG! This is awesome! So that means you’re going to need vampire teeth too. I got just the thing."
He opened a glass case pulling out a little coffin shaped box. Kate saw two little vampire teeth in the box.
"How do they work?" She asked.
He opened the box to show her.
"You heat these little plastic beads till they melt together then pour in into the tooth and push it over your tooth as the plastic cools it molds to your teeth so it looks natural."
"These are awesome!" Kate said excitedly hugging the guy.
She called the other girls over to show them her find.

As they all made their purchases, Kate looked around the store disappointed.
"What's wrong?" Julie asked.
"I wanted a red jacket." Kate said. She still hadn't found a shirt to wear, although they were going to continue shopping.
"Sorry, did you say you were looking for a jacket?" the salesman asked.
"Yeah. I want a red one." Kate told him.
He pulled out a business card and gave it to her.
"My cousin has a leather shop. Tell him I sent you. And he'll give you a good deal."
They all smiled and thanked the guy as they headed out of the shop. Kate turned around.
"I'll be right back." She told the girls.
She walked back into the shop.
"Back so soon?" He asked.
"Yeah I just wanted to say thanks again."
"You’re welcome."
"And I know that you like BSB."
He nodded.
"Can you keep a secret?" She asked
His eyebrows went up. She pressed her hand to her stomach revealing the curve of her belly.
"Nick and I are expecting." She told him.
He grabbed her and hugged her
"OMG! I am so happy for you! I didn't even know he was dating anyone."
"Yeah well, we haven't gone public yet so I'd appreciate it of you'd keep it to yourself," she said.
"On one condition," he said, trying to be serious.
"What?" Kate said.
"Can I touch your belly?"
She laughed and let him rest his warm hands on her belly.

When she returned to the girls she was glowing.
"You told him didn't you?" Julie accused.
"Told him what?" Tessa asked.
Kate blushed.
"That your pregnant?" Lauren asked.
"Yes, I told him." Kate confessed. Julie knew she meant more than just the pregnancy.

As they headed to the leather shop Kate's phone buzzed. She pulled it out to check her texts.

NICK: Hey baby, are you in the island?
KATE: Yes
NICK: Do you want to meet us for lunch?
KATE: We have Tessa and Lauren with us
NICK: Bring em
KATE: You sure?
NICK: Yes I have a surprise for you.
KATE: Where, when?
NICK: On our way now, West Wind Restaurant. Take a cab.
KATE: Have to make a quick stop then we'll head over.

The restaurant was on the beach overlooking the turquoise water. The tables had thatched grass umbrellas over them that added to the tropical feel. The music playing in the background was the final touch.
Kate and Julie found the guys table and started to walk towards it. Julie looked over at Kate, a quizzical look on her face.

“Did you know?” Julie asked.
“No, but… wow.”

Lauren and Tessa were a few steps behind Julie and Kate. They only got a few feet into the restaurant, when Lauren froze, pulling Tessa to a stop.

"What," Tessa started to protest, but Lauren’s eyes were still facing forward. Tessa looked to where Lauren’s eyes were lock, it was then she saw them too.
Kate didn’t hear Tessa’s shoes on the tiled floor anymore, so she turned back to see them stopped.
"Surprise." She smiled at them, as if she had been planning it all along. It took a moment before they got their feet moving again. At the table sat four gorgeous men.


Alex stood up, wrapping his arms around Julie as Kate went to Nick. Alex turned to someone none of them expected to see.

“Kevin, I would like to introduce you to my Julie.”
Kevin stood and shook Julie’s hand.

“It’s so nice to meet you. Brian has told me so much about you,” the eldest Backstreet Boy said.
Julie turned to AJ. “Brian?” she mouthed. Alex just shrugged his shoulders, smiling impishly.
“I didn’t know you would be here,” Julie said. “It’s so nice to meet you.” He smiled at her before turning to Nick.

 

Nick had Kate in front of him, his hands around her little bump. Somehow Kevin didn’t seem to notice. He was fascinated by the look in Nick’s eyes. He had never seen his ‘little brother’ so happy.
“This is Kate,” Nick said, love so apparent in his voice.

Kevin reached for Kate’s hand, but it was tucked under Nick’s. They all laughed as she struggled to get it out from under Nick. He was trying to be funny by keeping her hand to himself.

Lauren and Tessa stood off to the side, still in shock that they were there with part of the Backstreet Boys. Kate saw the look on Lauren’s face and she turned to Kevin.

“Kevin, these are our friends, Lauren and Tessa.”

He wasn’t trying to be rude, but once his eyes landed on Lauren, Tessa had no chance of being seen. When Lauren reached out to shake his hand, he surprised her by kissing her knuckles. Kate thought Lauren would melt right there on the spot.

There was a small cough at the table. Alex laughed at the interruption. The fourth man at the table didn’t need to be left out. He stood up, bringing everyone’s attention to him.

"And of course you know Matthew," Alex said, motioning to Matthew Morrison. “He is our ‘special guest’ for the beach party tonight.”

Matthew nodded at Alex before he turned to look at all of the girls. He was trying to acknowledge them all until his eyes stopped on Tessa.

Kate and Julie went around the table to sit by Alex and Nick, but it took a little coaxing to get Tessa and Lauren to sit between Matthew and Kevin. Eventually, they were all seated. Julie tried to break the ice by being funny. She had her hand under the table, holding on to Alex’s hand, as she turned to Matthew.

“So I have to tell you, after seeing you perform in Minneapolis, I was totally hot for teacher.”
Matthew blushed and Julie gave AJ’s hand a squeeze so he knew she was teasing.
“I’m not really a teacher,” he whispered.
“I know, you just share a face. But still. Wow. You really should have taken your shirt off on stage, though.” Julie looked over at Tessa as she said this. Her dark hair made the red in her face even richer. Julie had gotten Tessa to blush and she wasn’t even talking to her.

They ordered their food without much more happening other than Tessa and Lauren were both still star struck. It wasn't until their food had arrived that something finally clicked with Tessa. And she burst out.

"OMG! Your- it's-" She pointed at Kate and down to Kate's belly.
Nick laughed and leaned over kissing Kate's cheek.
Lauren leaned past Kevin to see Tessa.
"Did you really just figure it that out?"
Tessa flushed red.
"Ya know, you're pretty cute when you're embarrassed," Matthew said to Tessa.
Tessa turned even redder, "Good thing cause it happens a lot."

They enjoyed a long lunch getting to know each other. Kevin had flown out because Nick had asked him to join the rest of the cruise, he didn't mention the picture of Lauren that accompanied the request, and Matthew was there to perform with BSB tonight.

"Well, we better get going." Julie said, checking the time on her cellphone.
"Do you girls have to go already?" Kevin asked, looking at Lauren, not Julie.
"Yeah, we need to rehearse for tonight and then get cleaned up for the show," Julie said, pretending he wasn’t completely being rude by not looking at her when she spoke.
"Rehearse for?" Matthew asked.
"The girls made it to the finals in the karaoke contest. All the finalists are opening for us tonight."
"Really? Well I can't wait to hear it." Matthew smiled at Tessa. She blushed again.

“Does that mean you will be watching?” she asked quietly.
“Of course. I thought I was the opening act, so I must be going on after the finalists. Maybe I will see you backstage.”

Tessa blushed a deeper red then before.

Chapter 20 - Larger Than Life Beach Party by Dark-Hunter

The girls headed back to the boat to rehearse.
"I think we should rehearse with the teeth in," Julie suggested as they took a cab.
"Good idea," Kate agreed. "That way we can get use to singing with them. Besides once they are molded to our teeth we can just take them out and they'll be ready when we need them."

A little over two hours later, they all were in the fitness room putting the final touches on their performance. Once again, a small crowd had built outside the room. Julie really wished there weren’t three large windows that allowed people to look in. At least, once they got on stage, people would still be surprised. The girls watching had no clue how they were going to appear later that night.

Julie picked up her laptop and they headed out the door. As they were leaving the area, they looked around at the girls that had gathered. Most of them were smiling and giving them praises. But one dark haired girl was glowering at them. She stepped through the crowd to get closer to them. She looked right at Julie.

“If you win, everyone will know it is because you are screwing AJ, not because you have any talent,” she said with venom in her voice.
Julie just smiled at her as many of the girls in the area started talking to each other and to her in regards to whether or not what she said was true about AJ.

“I wish that was true, but you see, the guys don’t choose the winners. The girls on the cruise get to. And everyone knows that AJ isn’t screwing a fan.” Julie left it at that and spun on her heel, walking away, her friends in tow.

They split up to head to their separate rooms for showers. Julie plugged in her curlers while Kate was in the shower. She took her shower while Kate blow dried her hair.

Kate put on her black jeans and black tank top before curling her hair and doing her make up.
"Ok, that's just creepy," Julie said as she caught sight of Kate's red eyes as she returned to the bathroom.
"Yeah, I'm thinking we should wear sunglasses till we perform. No sense in tipping people off."
"Good idea." Kate sent a text to Tessa and Lauren to let them know. She also sent a picture of her make up so they'd know how to do theirs. They used heavy black eyeliner in a cat eye style and bright red lipstick.

Julie took her rollers out and just let her hair fall where it wanted. Kate handed Julie her red and black sunglasses before putting her own on. They stepped out of the room and headed to the main area to meet up with Lauren and Tessa. It was hard walking through the hallways with the dark glasses on, but they didn’t want anyone to see their eyes yet. They each had a bag with them with a change of clothes and a swimsuit for the party.

The party was in a bay where people could swim and surf. The stage was set up on the grass at the top of the beach so that people could sit in the sand and watch.
When they girls arrived they were told that they would be performing last. Julie was grateful; this meant that they got to watch all the other contestants first.


Lauren spotted the guys. They were sitting in an elevated sound control booth that was right in the middle of the crowd. They would have a perfect view of all the performers.

Matthew started off the show singing his hit Summer Rain. He then explained the contest and introduced the first contestants. The winner would be chosen by the audience support.

As each group went up, the singing seemed to get better and better. Julie really started to get nervous when the group before them sang ’I Want It That Way’, using some signature BSB moves. The crowd was going wild.
She groaned. "Oh man! They're good."
Kate nodded then smiled at Julie.
"We're better."
Julie laughed. Only Kate could get her to laugh when she had this many butterflies.

The girls were called on stage. They took their sunglasses off, setting them down on the steps. Kate slipped on her red coat. They kept their eyes down as they walked to their starting locations. Starting at stage right, Tessa took her spot, going down on one knee, followed by Julie, then Kate, and last was Lauren.

As the music began, Tessa stood up slowly, the others coming up one by one, looking out into the crowd. You could hear the gasps as people were able to see the blood red eyes of the girls. Tessa started the song, singing Brian’s part, the three girls moving the exact choreography the guys had done in their video.

Kate stepped forward, singing Nick’s part. They had adapted and changed all the she’s to he’s.
As they got closer to the chorus the girls dancing had them switching places on the stage so Kate was stage right, following Lauren, then Tessa and Julie at Stage left.

The dance moves for the chorus were very much like country line dancing and the girls made it look like they had been dancing the choreography their entire lives. They moved again, as Lauren was about to sing, to be in a diagonal line, the tip closest to stage left with Lauren at the head, then Julie, Tessa, and Kate in the back. They spun around the stage as Lauren sang to meet back in the middle, breaking to opposites sides as Julie stepped out to sing her solo.

When they moved to the chorus again, the crowd was going wild, singing along with them. They danced and moved all over the stage, taking full control of their performance. No one would have guessed that the girls on stage had only just met that weekend. They moved as a perfect team.

Kate stepped forward to take the bridge, the others in a line behind her. They stepped up beside her and one by one went down on one knee, except for Tessa, she kept standing. She played with the audience.
They all stepped up to the edge of the stage, looking right at the guys for a moment, instead of the audience. They moved back into a line towards the back of the stage with Lauren stage right, then Tessa, Julie, and Kate, to finish their choreography. They pulled in close together for the final notes.
The crowd went wild. The girls smiled, showing off their teeth. As they stood there, the screaming was breathtaking. It made Julie have a whole new appreciation for the guys. She would get a big head if she could be praised like that every night. She didn’t know how they didn’t have bigger egos.

Charlotte took center stage, smiling at the girls as she walked past them. She had all the other karaoke finalists brought up on stage for the announcement. As the finalists crowded the stage, Lauren watched as the 4 guys left the sound booth with their body guards, moving straight for the stage. The girls in the audience around them made a path, but reached for them as they went by. The guys touched hands as they walked past, Brian blowing kisses along the way.

It only took a short time before the guys joined them on the stage. Just like the girls in the audience did, the girls on the stage reached for them. Each guy made sure to touch every single contestant on the stage. The crowd never noticed that both AJ and Nick lingered just a little longer when they came to the girls in red. The four guys then moved to stand next to Charlotte for the announcement.

The finalists all stood in their groups, desperate to find out if they won or not. As they all waited, Julie reached to the girl in the group closest to her. She offered her hand, for support. She then reached to Kate, who was on her other side. The idea struck and within moments, all the groups were intertwined into one large group of girls supporting each other.

Charlotte was handed one of the wireless mics the girls had just used. She stepped to the center of the stage, BSB standing behind her, and the finalists behind them. She had an envelope in her other hand.

“Hello, everyone! Did you enjoy the performances?” The crowd screamed loud. “As we announced in the beginning, the choice was up to you. The Backstreet Boys did not get any votes at all in this. I am sure they would have chosen them all. We had four judges that based the decision on the reaction of the crowd. It came down to two groups. We could not tell which one you liked best. They both had equal screams and each group the crowds sang along.”

The group of girls all looked at each other, wondering who the two groups were, and what was going to happen next.
“I would like to ask group number nine and group number ten to step forward.”
Tessa looked at Lauren and paled. “That’s us, right?” she asked. Lauren just nodded as she pulled her forward. The nine girls stepped forward, the four in red going to stage right and the five others going to stage left. Charlotte had them stand next to her.

“We have spoken with the judges as well as the Backstreet Boys and we all agree, the best way to do this, is a kamikaze round. Both groups will be given a random BSB song to perform. They will have about 30 minutes to figure out how they want to sing it. The Backstreet Boys will do a short set of four songs, giving the two groups enough time to work things out. Your screams will be what choose the winner.”

The crowd went wild again. Julie looked at Kate and smiled. The two girls knew almost every song and Julie knew she could google the choreography and teach it quickly. She had confidence this was theirs. She looked over at the other girls. They didn’t look so assured.
Charlotte opened her envelope and read the note.
"Group Nine will be singing ‘Shape Of My Heart’ and Group Ten will sing ‘Safest Place To Hide’."
Julie smiled at the girls in her group. This was one of her favorite songs. She knew there was no choreography for that song online, but right away she had an idea of what they were going to do.

The two groups were taken off stage and escorted to a nearby hotel. At the hotel the girls were put into two separate conference rooms.
Julie quickly explained her choreography idea to the girls. The other three were a little weary when she told them her idea. Julie dropped the subject for the time being and they worked on their vocals.

Far too quickly, their thirty minutes were over and they were being lead back to the stage. Just as before, group nine went first. They watched as group nine did basic choreography they had thrown together. Their vocals were good, just not overwhelming. Julie turned to her girls.

"Trust me. The guys will go for my idea and it will be our win. If they say no, then no harm no foul." She looked right at Kate. She knew why Julie wanted to sing to them. This may be her only chance. Kate nodded and they all agreed before they took the stage.

As they were handed their microphones, Julie stepped to the center of the stage. The Backstreet Boys were off to stage right, waiting for the next set to start.
"We were hoping to get the Backstreet Boys to join us on the stage for our song," Julie said sweetly, looking over her shoulder towards them. Surprisingly, Brian step forward with a mic in hand.

"Absolutely, darling."

As the four of them stepped forward, Julie asked them to bring the bar stools with them, she had seen earlier when the girls had been on stage. Two stage hands followed behind them, each caring two chairs. They set them in a line, just like when the guys would sing 'I'll Never Break Your Heart.'

Julie motioned for the guys to take a seat on the bar stools. Stage right was Brian, then AJ, followed by Nick, then Howie. Each of the girls went to stand behind the guy they were singing the vocals of.

As the music started, Tessa moved to stand beside Brian. She took his hand into hers as she sang her solo.

 

Yeah, yeah
It seems like yesterday when I said "I do"
And after all this time my heart still burns for you
If you don't know by now that you're my only one
Take a look inside me and watch my heartstrings come undone

 

Lauren was up next. She took it up a step by putting one arm around Howie's shoulder.

I know I promised you forever
Is there no stronger word I can use
To reassure you when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide


When the chorus came, Julie moved to stand beside AJ. She put her left hand on his cheek as she sang, his dark eyes staring at her intently. Kate had stayed behind Nick but she wrapped her arms loosely around his neck, holding the microphone to her mouth to sing the chorus.

 

Can you see me, here I am
I need you like I needed you then
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I still find
You're my safest place to hide



As Kate began her solo she moved forward and the other three girls went back behind the guys. Julie put both hands on AJ's shoulders; Tessa and Lauren did the same thing to Brian and Howie. While Kate sang her solo, she sat on the very edge of Nick's knees. His hands went to her waist to hold her gently in place.

 

You see colors no one else can see
In every breath you hear a symphony
You understand me like nobody can
I feel like my soul unfolding like a flower blooming


Julie moved forward for her solo, but Kate stayed where she was. Nick was not letting go of her waist, but the crowd didn’t know that.
Julie got down on one knee, just to the side of AJ. She was singing only for him, telling him how much she loved him.

 

When this whole world gets too crazy
And there's nowhere left to go
I know you give me sanctuary
You're the only truth I know
You're the road back home

 

Julie stood back up at the chorus again. The other girls came back to the front as the chorus continued.

 

Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
And when words are not enough
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
You're my safest place to hide
My safest place to hide

 

But everyone was in shock when the bridge came.

The girls had agreed that Kate and Julie would sing the bridge together, since it was Kevin's solo and they didn't have a fifth girl. But when Julie and Kate stepped forward to sing, before the words came out of their mouths, they saw something in the corner of their eyes, and heard the beautiful voice of Kevin.


I know I promised you forever
There's no stronger word I can use
To reassure when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide


The crowd screamed as he walked across the stage, coming to a stop in between Kate and Julie. Tessa and Lauren moved forward to stand on either side of Julie and Kate. The girls didn't miss a beat, as if his appearance had always been planned. They continued the song, but were surprised once again when the guys came up behind them, wrapping their arms around the girls waists as they finished the song.

Oh! Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
Yeah, yeah
You're my safest place to hide, oh yeah
You're my safest place to hide

 

Julie had never heard applause like that before. It was deafening. AJ gave her a squeeze as Charlotte returned to the stage.

"Well I think we have a winner." Charlotte said.
The crowd went wild. The girls hugged the guy whose part they sang and exited the stage. Kate stopped and hugged Kevin as well.

"Thanks," she said in his ear.

"Hey, I gotta take care of Nicky's girl," he replied.
Kate blushed as she left the stage.

The girls went and changed as the guys kicked off the ‘Larger Than Life’ Beach Party. The girls returned to the party and jammed out with the rest of the fans. People approached them all night congratulating them and talking about their performance.

The guys performed for over an hour, Kevin joining them for any of the songs he had previously been a part of. Thinking ahead, Kate had packed a blanket to spread out on the sand. The four girls hung out there during the party. After the guys were done performing, Matthew Morrison had gone back up on stage to do a few more songs as well as just hang out with the DJ. Tessa and Lauren offered to get sodas for everyone.

The guys had been mingling throughout the crowd since the concert ended. AJ and Nick had eventually made their way over to Kate and Julie, an entourage or girls and bodyguards behind them.

"So, here are our contest winners," AJ said, not revealing their relationship to the crowd following. He reached out a hand, offering it to Julie to help her stand up.
"Very impressive, that you learned our moves," Nick said.
"Thanks," Julie replied, as AJ was giving her a rich hug, his hands lingering on the bare skin of her back. “Sweetie,” she whispered into his ear. He let her go as they heard Brian’s voice.
"Hey, you found them!" Brian said, trying to work his way thru the crowd. "Well, part of them anyway." He looked around, not seeing Tessa and Lauren.
“They went to go get us sodas,” Kate told Brian, as Nick was helping her up.
“Well, once they get back, we need to get together and figure out what we want to sing together tomorrow night, and set up rehearsal time.”

Julie laughed at him. Brian looked over at her, raising an eyebrow. He took a step forward, pretending to push AJ out of the way.

“Are you laughing at me? Are you… Laughing… at me?” Brian was teasing her, but it made her laugh a little more. She straightened up a little taller and put on her faux seductive face.

“You are like the big brother of the group. It’s so cute. If you weren’t married, and I wasn’t already in love with someone else, I would be all over you.”

Brian blushed eight shades of red and AJ burst out laughing. Nick leaned in close to them and whispered loudly to Brian.

“Don’t let Leighanne find out. She saw how you were looking at Julie at the PDA party last night.” Nick was trying to be funny, but it hit a sore spot with Julie. Kate saw Julie’s face fall for only a moment before her smile came back. Kate reached over and lightly grabbed Nick’s forearm, getting him to look at her. The look on Kate’s face let him know he said something inappropriate.
Brian got the subject quickly changed by going back to what he had searched them out for. He looked right at Julie.
“When they come back, try and make your way over to the VIP area we have in the back, so we can get things figured out. Okay?” Julie nodded and he started to walk away.

Nick felt bad about what he said; he was just trying to be funny. But the look on Kate’s face said everything. He stepped up to Julie, pretending to congratulate her on the win. He opened his arms for a hug. Julie went to him, hesitantly. But when he whispered in her ear, she understood.
“Hey, I am sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.”
He stepped back and Julie nodded. AJ pulled her over for a friendly hug and said ‘Congrats’ again, playing to the crowd, as Nick did the same to Kate. The guys had barely left and moved on to another crowd of girls, when Tessa and Lauren came back with sodas. Kate told them how Brian had wanted to get together in the VIP area in a while to talk. The look on Lauren’s face was epic. She looked over and saw Kevin was sitting there with Howie and her heart skipped a beat.
"Let's go hang out in there." Kate suggested, "There's chairs."
Her back was starting to hurt and she hadn't missed the look on Lauren's face when she looked at Kevin.
The 4 of them gathered their things and made their way to the VIP area. It was the outdoor portion of the hotel's restaurant.
When they were stopped by security at the entrance, Kevin came over.
"It's ok; they're the winners of the contest. Brian asked them to come."
He let the girls pass and they followed Kevin to a table that he was sharing with Howie.
"That was very impressive," Howie commented as they sat down. "Did you start practicing that before the cruise?"
The girls exchanged a look.
"You mean the dance?" Julie asked.
Howie nodded.
"No, we didn't even meet Lauren and Tessa until we were on the cruise," Julie pointed out.
"Really?! Seemed so natural." Kevin said.
"Well ya know we're all BSB fans," Lauren said saucily.
"Speak for yourself," Tessa scoffed.
Kevin and Howie laughed.
"Tell us how you really feel," Howie said, a smile still playing across his lips.
"I grew up on N'Sync," Tessa said proudly.
Kevin looked at Kate and Julie. They were being a little too quiet for them to be so innocent.
"We're New Kids fans," Julie confessed.
Kevin laughed again, "And y'all won a BSB singing contest on a BSB cruise.
"Pretty much," Julie said, finding the humor in the situation.

Leighanne came over, having seen Kate and Julie walking to the VIP area.
"Here y'all are. I've been looking all over for you. Katy, how on earth did you keep up with these girls on that dance?" she said squatting down in between Kate and Julie's chairs.
Kate smiled, "It wasn't easy."
Kevin looked at Howie confused.
"Kate's pregnant," Howie said.
"Really? Is it-" He cut himself off before he said it out loud.
He jumped up out of his chair and came around the table pulling Kate up into a hug.
"Congratulations! I'm sorry, no one told me," he apologized.
"It's ok. We just told his family before the cruise but we decided it would be better if the fans didn't know I was on the cruise."
"Yeah, that's probably a good idea," Kevin agreed.
"Leighanne, why don't you pull up a chair?" Julie said, scooting her chair over to make room. Leighanne pulled up a chair in between Kate and Julie.
"So, is there any way we can get something to eat? I'm starving," Kate said.
Kevin waved over a server and they all ordered beverages and asked for menus.
They sat around talking and telling stories while they ate. Eventually AJ, Nick and Brian made their way in to join them. They pulled up another ttable and sat by Howie and Kevin.
"Hey! You found them!" Brian said, looking back and forth between Lauren and Tessa.
"I didn't know we were lost," Lauren said smiling.
"Don't worry," Kevin said to Brian, as he put an arm around Lauren. "I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."
"So,” AJ said, bringing the attention away from Lauren’s bright red cheeks, “any ideas what you girls want to sing with us at prom night?"
Everyone looked around at each other. No one wanted to be the first to say anything. Finally, Nick spoke up, breaking the silence.
"Well, I defiantly think we should do ‘Straight Through My Heart’ all together."
"Dude, did you see their contacts?" Howie said to no one in particular.
"And the teeth!" Kevin replied.
"Yeah, where did you guys get those?" AJ asked. “I know you didn’t have them with you before we got on the boat.”
"Julie found a costume shop here," Tessa told them, glad to be a part of the conversation.
"Hm... Thinking we need some too," AJ said.
All the guys smiled, devilishly.
"Uh, oh. That looks menacing.” Matthew commented on AJ’s smile as he joined them.
He was covered in sweat from performing, his white button up shirt clinging to his muscular chest. He stood behind Tessa resting his hands on the back of her chair. Julie looked over and saw Tessa’s cheeks flush red when she looked over her shoulder at him.
"Do what other song should we do?" Brian asked.
"We can do more than one?" Lauren asked, surprise in her voice.
The guys all smiled.
"Of course," Brian said. "Is there one you had in mind?"
Lauren looked hesitant to say it out loud.
"Well, I was thinking that there are enough of us to do ‘Don't Turn Out The Lights’."
BSB exchanged a look.
"Ya think it'd be ok with them?" Nick asked.
"Don't see why not?" Howie replied.
"Maybe we should ask them," Brian said.
Nick pulled out his phone, sending a text to the five guys of NKOTB.

NICK: Was wondering if you guys would mind if we sang DTOTL with some of our fans that won a singing contest.

JON: Sure.
DANNY: Of course!
JORDAN: LOL got some blockheads on your boat?
DONNIE: Sure but I want video!
JOE: We'd be honored.

NICK to JORDAN: I believe you know 2 of these girls.
JORDAN: Really?
NICK: Yeah. Katy and Julie.
JORDAN: Ah! My girls. Send pics!

"They all approved," Nick told the group a few minutes later.
"Good. Well since we are spending most of the day on the island tomorrow, we can probably just rehearse here at the hotel." Brian said.
Everyone agreed.
"Well if y'all will excuse me, I'm going for a swim." Matthew said.
"In the dark?" Leighanne asked, motherly concern in her voice.
"Eh, if we stay within the lights from the stage, we'll be okay," he replied shrugging.
"Mind if I join you?" Tessa whispered.
He smiled and held out his hand, helping her up. She almost tripped over her own feet. He caught her in his arms. She flushed bright red again, as her hands touched his wet chest.
"That sounds like fun!" Lauren said. She stood, up peeling off her shirt while looking in Kevin’s direction, revealing her voluptuous curves.
"I better come too," Kevin said. "I wouldn't want you to get lost."

The two of them started walking after Tessa and Matthew.
"Should we all go?" AJ asked the remaining people at the table.
Julie nodded.
Kate decided to go to the restroom before heading to the water. She sent Nick ahead with the others.

Leighanne and Brian were walking hand in hand. Julie was close to AJ, but trying to not walk right beside him, since there were still a lot of fans around. Leighanne sent Brian ahead, to walk with Nick and AJ, she wanted to talk with Julie. She quickly caught up with her, touching her arm lightly, letting Julie know she was there. Julie turned to look at her. Her smile was warm and genuine and reminded Julie of the look a big sister would give.

“How you holding up, honey? You doing all right today?” The concern in her voice had Julie worried.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” Julie said quietly.
Leighanne stopped walking for a moment. Julie got two steps ahead before she realized she had stopped. She turned around to look at her and her stomach filled with knots. Leighanne stepped up to her.
“Brian told me what happened last night at the PDA party. I am sorry I wasn’t there. I hadn’t been feeling well.”
Julie blushed red. “Why did Brian have to tell her,” Julie thought to herself.
“I want you to know that you can talk to me about anything. As the first BSB wife, I have done it all.”
Julie looked down at her feet, in shame.
“I hope you haven’t shamed yourself like I did last night.”
“Oh, honey!” Leighanne pulled Julie into a hug, running her hand down her hair like one would do with a crying child. “I think we all do something stupid like that at least once in our lives. But,” Julie lifted her head up to look Leighanne in the eyes, “look at the bright side of this. Brian told me that he had seen AJ taking sips of shots and after he saw you drunk, he immediately threw away the glass he had at the table. Brian told me it was like a new wake up call for Alex. He saw through his eyes with you, what we had seen with him.”
Leighanne let her go and they started walking again.

“Now tell me about these notes. Brian didn’t have much to say. He told me not to worry about it, which of course makes me worry more. Did Katy get any as well?”
“No, thank goodness. Kate hasn’t gotten any. I think it is just some jealous fan. But what I don’t understand is how they figured it out. Alex and I haven’t done anything in public that could be used to put us together.”
“It doesn’t take long. I am surprised you have managed to keep it secret as long as you have. Some of these fans are really crazy, stalker like. They know everything about the guys. We had to have cameras put up around our property because we had a fan that would come and sit at our house every day, watching us through the windows. One day she tried to talk to our son who was playing in the backyard. That was all it took.”
Julie gasped at the thought. She put one hand over her mouth. Leighanne laughed.
“That’s what I mean. So, like I said, if ever need someone to talk to, I am here. Being a part of their lives means dealing with these types of things. But we are strong women and we can handle it.”

Julie gave Leighanne a big hug as Brian and Alex backtracked to find out why the two of them were taking so long. Leighanne kissed Brian sweetly.
“We were just having a girl to girl chat,” she said, looking over at Julie.
Alex pulled her into his arms, whispering into her ear.
“Are you okay, baby?”
Julie just nodded. He let her go, but took her hand into his.
“Let’s go swimming.” They ran the distance to the shore, laughing as the small waves crashed against their legs.

Kate was still in the stall when she heard some girls come in.
"Well, they were really good," the first girl said.
"I know but the guys are like, hanging all over them," the other said. "And I don't know why. I mean, did you see the girl in the red coat? She's fat and Nick couldn't take his eyes off her."
"Well, she was singing his part. Maybe he just was watching because of that." The first girl defended Kate.
"Maybe, but he could do so much better. And I'm going to prove it to him."
The first girl laughed.
"It's not funny, I'm going to have that man before the cruise is over. I almost kissed him once. This time we won't be interrupted."

Kate peeked between the cracks of the door to get a glimpse of the girls. She only saw two. The girl that was boasting was a short blond in a pink bikini. She was skinny and pretty from what Kate could tell. The other girl was a little taller, a little thicker, and had short brown hair. Her face showed that she was kind.
The girls left the bathroom without even knowing Kate was there. She left the bathroom and went to inquire about towels for everyone.
The waiter she asked said he'd leave them by the table for them. She thanked him and started to walk down the beach.

She had her swimsuit on but didn't feel like going in the water. She walked bare foot in the soft sand away from the party. The girl’s words were still ringing in her ears.
"She's fat...we won't be interrupted again."
Kate felt sick. She knew Nick wouldn’t cheat on her but now she knew that people had realized that they were appearing together a lot. She knew it wasn't just her either. Outside the fitness center that girl knew about Julie and AJ. Why had they thought they could keep it a secret?

She was getting tired and she had walked a long way. She sat on the sand, her back up against a large rock. She could still hear the music but she was far enough away from the lights that she could see some of the stars.
She took a deep breath. She had to shake it off. It wasn't worth letting that girl's words get her down. She trusted Nick and they were going to have a baby.
Feeling more at peace, she walked back towards the party. She didn't get far before Nick found her.
"Here you are! I was getting worried. Are you Ok?"
"Yeah, I am now," she said smiling up at him.
He wrapped his arms around her.
"You’re all wet!" she said, trying to push him away.
"Yeah. I've been in the ocean," was his smartass reply. "Why didn't you come join us?"
"Oh, I'm just getting tired," she said.
He started walking her back to the hotel, his arm around her shoulders.
"Are you not feeling well? Should we take you to the hospital?" he asked.
She leaned her head against his shoulder.
"No, it's ok. Sometimes I just need to go think things thru, but I'm better now."
"What things?"
"Oh, just some gossip I overheard in the bathroom. But I'm over it," Kate said. "Oh by the way, some blonde in a pink bikini is planning on shagging you before this cruise is over."
"Courtney," he said, laughing.
Kate stopped walking. He turned to her, his laughter fading when he saw the look on her face.
"Security just escorted her back to the ship."
Kate raised an eyebrow.
"She's drunk. And she thought skinny dipping was a good idea."
Kate laughed and started walking again.
"We weren't going to stop her, but when she decided to try to de-pants me... Well it was time for her to go sleep it off."
Kate laughed wrapping and arm around his waist. He stopped walking and she looked up at him, the moonlight shining on her face.
"Never doubt my love for you, both of you," he said.
"I don't," Kate said, and she meant it. It wasn't him she was worried about. She had to keep reminding herself that dealing with crazy fans was part of his life.
He took her hand as they continued walking.
"Katy, maybe we should just announce our relationship. Then we don't have to worry about it anymore."
She sighed. "Yeah it's crossed my mind. But it's only a couple of more days. I think I'd like to be home before that press release."
"Ok, we'll wait." He kissed her hand.
Kate pulled out her phone.
"Wow, it's almost 11."
"Time flies when you're having fun."
"No wonder I'm tired." She sighed.
"Well, maybe we should head to bed," Nick suggested.
"Yeah. If I don't head back now, I might not make it," Kate said.
"Make it where?" Nick asked confused.
"Back to the boat. It's a long walk."
"Oh baby, we're not going back to the boat tonight. We're staying at the hotel."
"Oh," Kate said. That's why Brian said they could rehearse there. She wondered it the other girls had headed back to the boat and she'd have to walk back alone.

When they got back to the VIP section of the party, Kate only saw Leighanne getting her things. There was no sign of the other girls. They had passed AJ on their way in. He was alone, out mingling with the fans, only his bodyguard in tow.
"Hey girl! Where'd ya go?" she asked Kate.
"Just for a walk," Kate replied.
"Well, come on," she said waving Kate over. "Let's head upstairs."
Kate was confused. She looked at Nick.
"What? You didn't think I was staying here without you, did you?"
"So much for keeping it a secret," Kate said.
He smiled down at her.
"That is why Leighanne has your key and I am going to mingle for a while before heading up."
Kate shook her head. She didn't know if she'd ever get use to this crazy life of his.

As the elevator door closed leaving her and Leighanne alone, Leighanne asked, "Did you really think he'd make you go back to the boat?"
Kate blushed.
"Oh honey, he's more thoughtful than that."
"Oh it's not that. I'm just not used to..." she didn't know how to finish.
"To dating a Backstreet Boy?" Leighanne finished.
"Yeah."
"It takes some getting used to, that's for sure. I use to get so jealous watching all those girls ogle Brian. But then I realized he never looks at them the way he looks at me."
Kate felt so much better. She was glad she wasn't just being neurotic.
"Thanks, Leighanne."
"Hey, us BSGs gotta take care of each other."
"BSGs?"
"Backstreet Girls," she explained.
Kate laughed as the elevator opened.
A couple of the doors to different rooms were propped open. Leighanne lead Kate into one. Julie, Tessa, Lauren and another woman were all sitting on the bed, laughing.
"Kate, there you are," Julie said.
Kate smiled.
"This is Leigh. She's Howie's wife."
"It's nice to meet you," Kate said, as the tall sandy blonde haired woman nodded her head at Kate.
"So this is Nicko's girl," she said smiling.
"Nicko?" Julie laughed at his nickname.
"So, Leighanne tells me you’re expecting," Leigh said
Kate blush and ran her hands over her growing belly.
"When are you due?" Leigh asked.
"Mid April," Kate replied.
"Do you know what it is yet?"
"No, not till next week," Kate said, walking around to the head of the bed, close to where Julie was sitting. "Scoot over," she told Julie, "My back is killing me."
Julie slid over, leaning a pillow for Kate to prop behind her back.
"So, what were y'all talking about?" Leighanne asked.
"How we are with the six hottest guys on the planet," Lauren said boldly.
Leighanne laughed, "Don't let them hear you said that. They have big enough heads as it is."
"Be careful not to put them up on a pedestal," Leigh warned. "They are just normal guys and they all have their flaws and baggage just like everyone else."
"But they are still hot!" Lauren said, causing all the girls to laugh.
"Did I hear someone say hot?" Brian said poking his head in the door, "You must be talking about me," he joked.
Leighanne shook her head, "Ya know one of these days eavesdropping is going to get you in trouble, Mister."
Brian feigned a look of innocence. All the girls laughed.

He and Leighanne took off to their room, leaving the five girls to talk.
"He is such a sweetheart," Tessa said, blushing.
"They are a cute couple," Leigh said.
"So how did you and Howie meet?" Lauren asked.
"I designed their fan website."
"That's cool. Were you a fan before you met them?" Lauren asked.
"Oh yeah! My friends and I were all huge fans."

Kate stretched out on the bed.
"So do we all have rooms up here?" Kate asked.
She was mostly curious about Tessa and Lauren. She knew her and Julie would be staying with the guys, but the other two girls were a mystery.
Tessa blushed, "I'm staying with Matthew."
"Well. Be safe," Kate said, running a hand over her belly for emphasis.
Tessa laughed nervously.
"I will. He just let me know he had an extra bed and if I didn’t want to walk back to the boat…” She didn’t finish her sentence, she was blushing too much.

As the girls sat around talking about everything and nothing Kate found it harder and harder to keep her eyes open. She fell asleep as Tessa and Lauren explained what happened down at the beach.

“It was so cute,” Lauren said, “when Matthew grabbed Tessa around the waist and carried her into the water.”
“Why did he do that? Couldn’t she have just gone in on her own,” Julie asked.
“Yeah, if she would have gone,” Lauren laughed. “She was sitting there, just watching Kevin and I have a water fight. When I tried to splash her, she complained…” Lauren was interrupted when Tessa threw a pillow at her head.
“I wasn’t complaining. I was enjoying the view, thank you,” Tessa said.
“So, what happened next?” Leigh asked.
“Well,” Lauren sat up a little straighter. “Matthew looked over at her and started laughing. Then, before Tessa knew what was happening, he had swept her off her feet, literally, and was carrying her to the water.”
“But he didn’t drop me in. That was all Kevin!” Tessa was defending Matthew’s honor.
“Kevin?” Leigh inquired.
“Yeah. He tackled Matthew from behind, causing him to drop me into the ocean. I think Lauren told him to.”
The two girls went on with their play banter. They were hitting each other with pillows again. Julie wondered how Kate could possibly sleep through all the commotion.

While the two girls were at each other, Matthew and Kevin came up to the open door. Julie saw them standing in the doorway, watching the girls fight. Kevin stepped into the room, laughing.
“Now, now girls. There is no need to fight over me. There is plenty to go around.” Lauren’s head whipped around at the sound of his voice. Her smile took over her eyes. She dropped the pillow and stood up straight.

“Honey, you couldn’t handle us both. I doubt you can even handle just me.”
Kevin looked intrigued.
“Shall we find out?” he asked, offering his hand to her. She gladly took it and he pulled her into his arms. Her arms wrapped around his waist as he looked into her eyes.
“And to think, I almost didn’t come when Nick texted me.” They headed out the hallway to Kevin’s room.

Tessa blushed when Matthew stepped further into the room. He looked as shy as she felt. But he offered her his hand to help her stand. In true Tessa form, the tripped, and like before, her hands went to his chest as he steadied her. She looked up into his eyes and smiled.
“Shall we?” he asked. She just blushed as they walked into the hallway.

Leigh turned to Julie, scooting closer to her on the bed. Since they were the only ones still in the room, and Kate was asleep, she lowered her voice.
“Are you having a good time?”
“Yeah. Learning how difficult it is to date a Backstreet Boy, though. I thought that the past five months would have prepared me, but this cruise has been a wakeup call.”
Leigh just smiled and patted Julie’s leg, just above her knee.
“I heard.”
Julie put her head down. She was never going to live down the mistake she had made. She looked up at Leigh.
“Do I get sisterly advice from you, too?” She wasn’t trying to be rude, but she really wanted to put it behind her. Leigh must have read the look on her face.
“Nope. Just gonna remind you what I said to Lauren. Don’t put him on a pedestal. AJ has had the hardest time with the fame that came with being a Backstreet Boy. He needs someone who understands that.”
Julie nodded. She thought she had understood before, but she really hadn’t, until now. Just as Leigh had said that, Howie was knocking on the doorframe.

“Look at all the beautiful women,” he said. Leigh’s eyes lit up when she saw him. She was off the bed and in his arms faster than Julie could have imagined. It was so obvious how much in love they were.

“Good night, Julie. It really was nice to finally meet you.” Leigh and Howie were turning around to leave when Howie looked over his shoulder at her.
“AJ and Nick are still going strong down at the party, so maybe we should close your door.” Julie just nodded and he moved the towel that had been propping open the door. It shut quietly, leaving Julie alone with only the sound of Kate’s breathing.

Julie turned on the TV and was quietly channel surfing while Kate slept, but she was having a hard time keeping her eyes open. She had just fallen asleep when the door opened. The sound of AJ’s deep voice brought her awake. She barely opened her eyes to look at him.
"Ah, isn't that cute! Our girls are all tuckered out."
He and Nick were standing in the doorway watching them.
She stretched, "Took you long enough."
"What can I say? I'm just so popular." AJ replied cockily.
Julie scoffed, "Yeah, I know."
"So how long has Kate been out?" Nick asked quietly, stepping closer to the bed.
Julie looked at Kate then at the clock.
"Quite a while. She didn't last long after we got upstairs."

Nick smiled and walked over to her. He gently pulled the hair away from her face. She looked so peaceful, he hated to wake her but this wasn't their room.
He handed AJ his key.
"Can you open the door for me?"
AJ nodded and went to open the door to Nick's room. Nick scooped Kate up, her arms curled around his neck. She partially woke up.
"Where we going?" she mumbled.
"To bed," he said.

He carried her to their room. AJ had not only opened the door but had pulled down the covers to make it easier for Nick.
He laid her in the bed, covering her up and went in to have a quick shower to wash the salt water off him. He curled up behind Kate deeply inhaling the sweet scent of her perfume.


Julie stood in the shower, letting the hot water run over her. She heard the door open to the bathroom. She stuck her head out the shower curtain. She smiled at him as he took his shirt off.
“What… you couldn’t wait for me?” he teased.
Julie smiled at him. “Sorry,” was all she said. She went back to washing her hair, but she heard his pants hit the floor.

 

Chapter 21 - Nassau by Dark-Hunter

Nick and Kate were awoken by a knock on the door.
"Up and Adam! We got rehearsals!" they heard being called through the door.
Nick groaned, pulling his pillow over his head.
"Who the hell was that?" Kate said grumpily.
"Brian. He's a morning person."
Kate rolled out of bed and put on her jeans and tank top. She pulled her hair up into a ponytail. Nick got dressed and took Kate's hand as they headed down to the ballroom to meet everyone.

Slowly the group trickled in, looking sleepy. They gathered on the stage.
"Ok, so first I think we should decide who's singing NKOTB's parts of Don't Turn Out the Lights," Brian said. He had someone play the song while he named off who sang the different parts.
"Of course the girls need to do the New Kids parts," Brian pointed out.
"Well, Kate and Julie know it better than we do," Lauren said.
"Ok, so you girls want to take the leads?" Brian looked to Julie then Kate.
"Sounds good to me," Julie said. "I want Joe's part."
"Kate, that leaves you with Jordan's part. Does that work for you?"
"Sure."
"What about Donnie's part?" Kevin asked.
"His solo is just the NKOTBSB, isn't it?" Julie asks.
"Yeah. I think so,” Kate said.
"Oh, I have an idea!" Lauren said excitedly, "Kevin can do that part but he can say NGOTBSB. Cause we're the New Girls on the Boat."
Everyone laughed.
"I like it," Kevin agreed.
"Ok, we'll let's get started on some choreography."

They taught the girls the steps for ‘DTOTL’. They picked it up surprisingly quickly.
"Wow, you guys are good," Howie commented.
"Well, it didn't take us long to get ‘Straight Thru My Heart’," Lauren said proudly.
"How long did you work on it before the cruise?" Kevin asked.
"We didn't even meet until the second night on the cruise," Lauren replied.
"Wait. Y'all learned that dance in the last couple of days?" Brian said shocked.
The girls nodded as Lauren said, “Actually, we learned it in a few hours.”
"Impressive. Well I think we should run through ‘Straight Thru’ a couple of times, and then we'll call it good."

After their rehearsal, they all showered and headed out on the town. They split up into couples to be less noticeable. Julie didn’t understand how they thought they would get away with walking around town without cruise goers seeing them or coming up to them. But Leighanne smiled at her and reminded Julie that they had been doing this long enough; they had developed mad ninja skills of concealment. Plus the people on the cruise went back to the boat at bedtime, no one really knew that they had stayed at the hotel. It was assumed the guys had returned to the boat as well. Julie just smiled and went along, not completely at ease.  

Nick and Kate headed to the shop to get contacts and teeth for the guys.
When they got to the shop Kate asked Nick to wait outside for a moment.
She went in alone to find the clerk that helped her before.
"Kate! You came back! OMG, you were fabulous last night! I'm so glad you won!"
Kate laughed at his excitement.
"Well, it was all thanks to you. And I brought you a surprise."
He looked at Kate suspiciously. She went to the door and waved Nick in. He strode in smiling. The clerk started crying. Kate took a moment to explain to Nick about what had happened when they had been in there before.
"Thanks for helping my girl out," Nick said as he offered his hand.

The clerk just looked at Nick’s hand for a moment before reaching out and shaking his hand. His cheeks flushed red.
"OMG! I'm a huge fan! Thank you so much for coming."
Kate felt so gratified that she could do this for a fan.
"So, we were wondering if you have any more of those contacts and teeth," Nick said.

The clerk jumped into action rounding up the things they wanted while Kate and Nick explored the racks.
Kate found a couple of more shirts to wear and Nick found a pair of leather pants that showed off his assets.
"I dare you to buy those pants," Kate teased.
"Oh honey, you don't want to challenge me like that." He smiled devilishly, throwing the pants into the pile of things they were buying.
"I dare you to wear those tonight," Kate said.
He smiled at her challenge.
"You know, you have to go commando in those. We can't have any panty lines," Kate laughed.
"If I do, you do it," he teased back.
"You’re on!" Kate said, rising to his challenge.
He was surprised she agreed to do it. But he admired her for her spunk.

Nick turned his attention back to the clerk.
"So, Kate tells me you have a brother that does leather coats."
"A cousin, actually. Yes he's right down the street."
"Well, do you want to take us down there and help me find one?" Nick asked.
"You want Me to help You?" The clerk asked.
"Of course. You have great taste!" Nick said.
The clerk blushed as he finished ringing up their items.
He let the other clerk know he was going on break and led them down the street, talking animatedly with Nick about music and BSB.
Kate followed a couple of steps behind on the narrow sidewalk. She was enjoying watching the two guys talk. They were stopped a couple of times by other fans but Nick patiently signed autographs and answered questions before moving on down the street.

They found him a black leather jacket with red lining that would show it he wore it unzipped. After they were done making their purchases the clerk had to get back to his store.
"Can I ask a huge favor?" he said before leaving.
"What’s up?" Nick questioned.
"Can I get a picture with the two of you?"
Kate and Nick smiled.
"Of course."
His cousin took the picture with Kate and Nick to either side of him. He was so excited.
"Thank you." He waved as Kate and Nick headed the opposite direction.
"Well, what should we do now?" Nick asked her.
"Eat! I'm starving," Kate replied.

 

 

Julie tried to talk Alex out of going into town. She was still worried about people seeing them together, especially after she was part of the group that won the contest.

 

“Baby. They are going to find out soon enough. And you know, I don’t care what they think. Anyone in their right minds could tell you guys won from having talent on the stage, not in the bedroom.”

Julie laughed and punched his arm, then stopped walking. He turned to look at her, a pretend pout on her face.

“Are you saying I don’t have talent in the bedroom?”
He walked back to her, wrapping his arms around her waist. Her arms went around his neck, locking her fingers so he couldn’t get away. She smiled because of the look in his eyes.

“Your talents there are extraordinary, but for me only. No one else ever needs to know what you can do.”

She kissed him sweetly and looked at him with hooded eyes.

“How about I show you some of my talents?” she said seductively.

“Maybe later. I really want to take you shopping.”

Julie pretended to pout again.

“Fine, but you better make sure I get some food in there sometime. I might get grumpy if I don’t eat soon.”

He kissed her again then reached behind his head to take one of her hands into his. Without another word, they took off shopping.


While Kate and Nick were trying to decide where to eat, Nick got a text.
"AJ says everyone's meeting at Señor Frogs for lunch," he told Kate.
"Sounds good to me!"
They caught a cab and headed over to the restaurant.
The restaurant was packed. Word had gotten around that BSB was still on the island. The party was in full swing when Nick and Kate arrived. It was a mix of locals, tourists, and cruise girls.

Nick held tight to Kate's hand as he weaved his way thru the throng of girls. He led her to an area that was slightly elevated from the majority of the seating. Nick could see Kevin and Lauren standing by a table in that area, so he made his way towards them.
The whole crew was there. It was apparent that Nick and Kate were the last to arrive. Kate moved to the table by Leighanne.
"What the heck?" Kate said exasperated. “I thought we were all trying to be inconspicuous?”
Leighanne laughed, "We were followed, so we decided to make a party out of it."
"I see," Kate said, nodding. She looked over at Julie. She had shopping bags piled up at her feet. Kate laughed when she saw AJ trip over them as he tried to get up from the table. As he headed over to the bar, Kate turned to Julie.

“Wow. Shopping, much?”

Julie laughed. “It’s hard dating a Backstreet Boy. He really likes to shop. I started to get grumpy because he wouldn’t stop buying me things. He asked if I was hungry. I figured it was the easiest way to get him outta the shops.”

Kate smiled at her. She understood. She would never get used to Nick buying things for her.

 

They watched as AJ was working his way back to the table. He had procured a wireless microphone.
"What's up, Nassau?" he hollered. Screams erupted from the crowd.
"Thank you for welcoming us to your island!"
More screaming.
"You wanna hear some music?"
The sound was deafening.
AJ turned back to the table and the other Backstreet Boys sitting there.
"What'da ya think guys? Should we give em a little taste?"
The guys smiled at him, each one nodding in turn. There was a small stage area across the restaurant from where they were.

The five guys made their way thru the crowd to the stage, girls grabbing at them, trying to get a touch. They didn’t have their security team, so it took a little while for them to get up there. The restaurant manager was working with some of the audio crew to get more working mics. Since there was no way to get music, the guys decided to sing acapella.


A waitress finally managed to make it to the girl's table, since the crowd was pushing towards the stage.
"Sorry, I've trying to get over here but," she motioned towards the sea of girls.
"It's ok. We're used to it," Leighanne said. "Tell ya what, we'll make this easy. Can you do the meal family style?"
"Sure," the waitress said.
"Good. Well then bring a little of whatever and pitchers of soda and we should be good."
"You got it!" the waitress said, heading to the kitchen.

The guys got set up and performed ‘Everybody’, ‘I Want it That Way’,’ I'll Never Break Your Heart’ and ‘Larger Than Life’.
The food had arrived while the guys were singing.
"Why aren't you up there, Matthew?" Julie asked. “I am sure the crowd would love to hear you sing,” she said the last part while looking right at Tessa, who flushed red.
"Hm..." he said, tapping his chin as if contemplating, "Squeeze my way thru hundreds of BSB fans, or sit at a table covered with delicious food, surrounded by beautiful women. No I'm pretty happy here." He reached over to gently touch the top of Tessa’s hand that was resting in her lap.
The girls laughed. They passed the food around and began eating without the guys. Kate sat with an empty plate with her hands folded in her lap.
"What's wrong?" Leighanne asked when she realized Kate passed when food was offered to her.
"Oh nothing. I'm just waiting," Kate replied.
"I know you’re hungry. Does Mexican not agree with you?"
"No, Kate is very proper," Julie explained.
"You should just wait for everyone at the table to have their meal before you begin eating. It's good etiquette," Kate said.
"Oh honey, you'll starve to death waiting for them," Leighanne laughed.
Kate wouldn't be detoured though. She sat there and waited till the guys were done.
Leighanne pulled out her phone and text Brian.


LEIGHANNE: You guys need to take a break and come eat before the food gets cold. Tell the girls you'll sing more later.

Julie had given up trying to eat while Kate wasn't and decided to send a text to AJ.


JULIE: Need you guys to come eat. Kate won't eat till everyone served.

It was AJ who rounded the guys up to get them back to the table. As soon as the song they were singing was over, AJ pulled the guys into a huddle. They had been doing this after each song, deciding the next one.

“We need to get to the table. Hungry or not, Fans or not. We’re needed.” He left it at that and turned to the crowd. He explained that it was time they took a little break, but would be back soon.

 

Once everyone was served Kate began to eat hungrily.
"You're going to have to keep an eye on this one, Nick," Leighanne told him.
Nick looked at Kate concerned. Nothing seemed wrong with her, he looked back to Leighanne.
"Why?"
"She's going to make herself sick if she's not careful."
Nick rested his hand back on the table.
"Katy what did you do?" he said in a fatherly scolding tone.
"Nothing," Kate said. She turned to Leighanne. "Thanks. Now I'm going to get grounded."
They all laughed at that, diffusing the tension. Nick made a mental note to ask Leighanne later what she was talking about. He didn't want to embarrass Kate.

They decided after lunch that the girls would all head back to the ship while the guys did one more impromptu set and signed autographs. They would spend some time with the fan on a personal level.

While eating, they had discussed the changes in the group. Matthew and Kevin didn’t want to miss the rest of the cruise, but hadn’t planned on being a part of anything other than the beach party. Kate and Julie had agreed to move out of their room and in with Nick and AJ so that Matthew could have their room while Kevin took the last available suite in their hallway.
Leighanne was supposed to get ahold of the BSB coordinator and get Lauren and Tessa all access passes as well as get the girls sound checked for the night's performance.

The ship didn't leave till seven; to give everyone plenty of time on the island, but it was only about three when the girls slipped aboard.

Leighanne took Tessa and Lauren to get their passes while Kate and Julie headed back to their room.
Julie took a shower so she could wash her long thick hair and have plenty of time to dry it before they performed later that night.
Kate was sitting in the chair reading her book when Julie came out.
"We have to head up for sound check in an hour," Kate told her.
"Really? That early?" Julie replied.
"Yeah. Leighanne said something about monitors. But anyway, we need to be in the ledo deck by five."
"And I still need to pack."
"Yeah, but we have till seven to move our stuff over." Kate said.
"How long will sound check take?"
"I have no idea, an hour maybe?"

Julie got dressed and packed up most of her things before she and Kate headed up for sound check. When they got there Lauren and Tessa were already there.
"So what are we doing?" Julie asked.
"We are waiting for Jesse to come back and fit us with monitors," Lauren answered.
"Jesse? Fit us?" Julie questioned.
But Jesse returned before Lauren could explain. He carried a large briefcase, setting it on the edge on the stage. He waved the girls over as he opened it and began digging thru it. He fit each of the girls with a set of universal ear monitors. He explained how to thread the cords thru their shirt and clip the receiver in their pants or their bra.
Once they all had their monitors on he gave them a mic with their name on it and sent them on stage.

"Now sing!" he said.
The girls looked at each other.
"Sing what?" Kate asked.
"Anything. We just need a control on your voices. So Kate you sing first."
Kate started singing Inconsolable.
"That's good." he said cutting her off. "Next, go!"
Julie continued the song. When she was done Tessa and Lauren had a few minutes of solo. Once they had done that he turned some music on in their monitors.
"Sing again, please! If you want the music louder, point up and quieter point down."
He played ‘Straight Through My Heart’ and they all sang along at their parts getting the volume right.
"Alright, we got it," he said cutting off the music. He walked from the sound booth back to the stage.
"Ok, I'll keep your mics here. Show starts at eight so please, be here at 7:30. Take your monitors with you so you can put them on under your clothes."

The girls headed back to their rooms to get ready for the show. Kate and Julie moved their things into Nick an AJ's rooms.
Kate showered and blew her hair dry. She took her curlers and make up and knocked on AJ's door.
Julie opened it, her curlers in her hair and a mascara wand in her hand.
"Hey!" she said.
"Hey, I'm so use to getting ready with you I thought I'd come over."
Julie laughed and led the way back to the bathroom.
They jammed out to their favorite music while they got ready. They didn't hear AJ come in till he started laughing at them dancing to ‘Girls Just Want To Have Fun’. He was leaning against the doorframe. Julie turned down the music.
"Hey, Handsome!" she said.
"Hey."
"I didn't hear you come in."
AJ laughed, "You girls were having too much fun."
Julie and Kate laughed. Kate gathered up her things and headed back to her room so AJ could get ready.
Nick was in the shower when she let herself in his room. He was singing, so she went in and sat on the bathroom counter.
As he reached the chorus of ‘There For Me’ she joined in.

"Cuz I, I
Want to tell you that I'm sorry."


He stopped and stuck his head out the shower door.
"Hey baby! I didn't know you were back!"
Kate just smiled at him as he went back to his shower.
"You don't have to stop singing, I like that song," Kate told him.
"I didn't know you knew it," he said.
"Oh yeah, after you guys left Omaha, Julie googled everything she could find on you, Alex, and BSB."

Nick laughed as he got out of the shower. Kate admired his chiseled body as he toweled himself off. He wrapped the towel around his waist and walked over and kissed Kate. She laughed wiping the red lipstick off him.
"What? You didn't like that color on me?" he laughed.
After getting dressed Nick grabbed his guitar sitting on the edge of the bed. Kate sat next to him indian style. He strummed his guitar a few times tuning it up.
He looked up into Kate's hazel eyes and smiled.
"Let's see how well you know it."
He began playing ‘There For Me’. Kate smiled singing along with him.

They ran thru it several times until Nick was satisfied that she knew it. He smiled at her.
"I think you got it."
Kate nodded. She had no idea why he wanted her to know it but she liked singing with him so she just went with it.
"Now if it gets requested, we can sing it," Nick explained. Not that it was his real reason but he wasn't telling her that.
They finished getting ready and headed up to the ledo deck.

Chapter 22 - TRL by Dark-Hunter

Nick wore his Oakley's and carried his guitar and leather coat as he and Kate headed up to the ledo deck. Kate carried her leather coat folded across her arms to disguise her belly. She also carried a small bag with an extra shirt for her and Nick to change into.
There were girls swimming and laying by the pool near the stage waiting for the concert to start. They met up with everyone backstage. Kate helped the guys with their contacts while Nick worked on their teeth.
"These are so much cooler than the ones we used in the video," Howie said, admiring the points on his teeth. Everyone had dressed in red and black for ‘Straight Thru My Heart.’


"Ok, I think we should all rub Kate's belly for good luck out there tonight," Kevin said.
"Excuse me?" Kate said, shocked.
"You know, it's like rubbing the goalie's head before a soccer game." Kevin smiled.
"Well, I'd rather rub her belly than your head," AJ replied, laughing.
"Only if it’s ok with Kate," Brian said.
Kate sighed as if it was a big inconvenience. She raised her shirt to the top of her belly and they all took turns rubbing it. Nick was last. He knelt down, kissing her belly. "I love you," he whispered to their baby.

Matthew went out on stage first to play host.
"Welcome to Total Request Live! I'm your host Matthew Morrison."
Cheers went up from the audience.
"Ok, here's how this is going to work. In the back we have a table of volunteers. You girls get to select what songs are performed tonight, by ballot. You all had one of these," he said holding up a ballot, "in your room. Now you can request your favorite songs by the Backstreet Boys or one of the guys individually or myself," he said flashing a smile, hoping to get some requests. "Then turn your ballots into the volunteers in the back. Now, while you ladies do that, I have a special treat for you. The winners of our karaoke contest have given themselves the name New Girls On The Boat. They've joined forces tonight with your favorites, the Backstreet Boys. Please welcome NGOTBSB."



The stage went dark as everyone got in position. Everyone started kneeling down in a single line. From Right to left were Brian, AJ, Tessa, Julie, Nick, Howie, Kate, Lauren and Kevin.
As the music began Brian and Tessa stood first followed by everyone else. AJ, Julie, Howie, and Lauren all took a step back while Brian, Tessa, Nick and Kate stepped forward splitting into two lines.
The girls in the crowd were going crazy seeing the guys with the red contacts and vampire teeth.
The choreography was flawless; they did all the same steps that BSB used in concert.

When they were done they all stepped forward joining hands and taking a bow before heading backstage.

Matthew came back onstage with his ukulele.


"Let's hear it for NGOTBSB!"
The crowd cheered loudly.
"I thought I'd play you a song while we waited to find out what the guys will be performing for you tonight."

He played his hit Summer Rain while BSB removed their contacts and teeth as well as changing shirts for the rest of the show.
Nick left on his black tank top but ditched his jacket for a blue short sleeve button down that he didn't button up. Kate loved the way the color made his eyes more vibrant. She had brought a soft pink shirt she could easily slip over her black tank top.

AJ changed into a black T-shirt with skulls on it. Julie also changed her shirt into a black ribbed tank top that showed off her assets to AJ's satisfaction. It had a small skull with a pink hairbow on it in the upper left corner. She also tied her hair back with a pink ribbon to match.

Howie changed into a cream button down Hawaiian style shirt with black embroidery down either side of the buttons. Kevin changed into a long sleeve emerald green button down that he rolled the sleeves up on. And Brian changed into a sunshine yellow tee shirt.


Before Matthew had finished singing, Jesse's voice came over their headsets to let them know the next song would be ‘I Want It That Way’.
Julie found Kate. She pulled a couple of slips out of her pocket.


"What's this?" Kate asked.
"Our ballots, I grabbed them out of our room before we moved. Come on, let's go cast our votes."
Kate grabbed Nick to tell him they'd be watching from the audience.
"Ok, well keep an earbud in. That way you'll know when we're ready for the finale."
"Ok, we will," Kate said, kissing him quickly.
Julie and Kate headed to the bar to get something to drink and decide what they wanted to hear.
"It's so hard to choose," Julie said.
"I know. They have so many good ones," Kate agreed.
"I wonder if they'd tell us what songs have been requested," Julie said
"Never hurts to ask," Kate replied.


They took their Peach Iced Tea and walked to the request table. Girls were constantly coming and going dropping off slips. They were surprised to see Leigh and Leighanne working with a couple of other people running the collection table.
"Hey, girls!" Leigh said.
"I didn't know you were doing this," Julie said surprised.
"Ah, the glamorous life of a BSB wife," Leigh joked. "So you gonna vote?"
"Well, we wanted to request something that not everyone is going to request."
Leigh nodded in understanding.
"Well, I'm pretty sure that anything you request, we'll make sure they sing," she smiled devilishly. They found some chairs and hung out at the table helping Leigh and Leighanne sort the slips.


The guys performed ‘I Want It That Way’ and ‘Anywhere For You’, then the girls in the crowd brought in slips of a few solos. Howie sang ‘100’ and Nick did ‘Just One Kiss’. Brian sang ‘Welcome Home’ and AJ did ‘Drive By Love’.

Julie headed back to the bar to get few pitchers of tea for all of them. But on her way there, she was pulled to a stop. The same dark haired girl who confronted her outside the fitness room had grabbed her upper arm, getting her attention.
"I know what you did," she said, glaring at Julie.
"What? Won the karaoke contest?" Julie said innocently.
"I know you slept with AJ and that's why he broke up with Rochelle," she accused, her voice filled with venom.
Julie didn’t even want to waste her time on something as stupid as that. She turned to walk away but the girl grabbed her again, spinning her back around.
"You better watch yourself. Your next trip into the water, you might not be so lucky."

This pissed Julie off. “Do you really think I am scared of getting pushed into the pool? Try again.”

The girl looked up at Julie, as she was a bit shorter, pure evil in her eyes.

“There are other ways of getting rid of you. I wasn’t talking about the pool.”


The girl turned and stormed off through the crowd.  But as Julie turned back to go to the bar, her imagination started to get the best of her. She could finally swim a little but she still had a fear of deep water. What if the girl managed to sneak up behind her and push her overboard? How long would it take for anyone to realize she was missing? Could she keep afloat long enough? What if she hit her head going over and instantly drown?

 

She was shaking when she got up to the bar. She ordered the tea, trying not to let her fear show. She kept looking for the girl as she returned to the table.
She was still upset when she sat next to Kate. Kate looked over at her noting that Julie was white as a ghost.
"Jewels, what's wrong?" she asked.
Leighanne overheard Kate’s question and looked over at Julie. Something was defiantly not right. She quickly got up and went over to her, kneeling down in front of Julie.
"What happened?"
Julie looked back at Kate.
"You remember the girl yesterday, outside the fitness center, right after we taught you the dance?"
Kate nodded.
"She found me again. I didn’t really think much about it, and I tried to just walk away but…” Julie took a deep, yet shaky breath. “I think she may have been the one who push me in the pool at the hotel."
Kate's eyes got as big as saucers.
"Did she threaten you?" Leighanne asked.
Julie nodded. Leighanne waved over a large black man wearing a yellow shirt that said security.
"We've had a threat," Leighanne told him and then she turned back to Julie. "Can you describe her?"
"About 5'4", long brown hair, brown eyes."
"What's she wearing?" the security guy asked.
"Daisy Duke shorts and a pink triangle bikini top."
"Anything else you can remember?" he asked.
"Yeah, her belly button is pierced and she has a tattoo on her right shoulder. A butterfly I think."
"Don't worry Mrs. Littrell, we'll find her."
Julie pointed out the direction the girl had headed and the security guy headed off that way in search of her, already radioing the rest of security.

Kate reached to take Julie’s hand.

“Ok. There is something you are not telling me. Normally you would have told the bitch to move on already, but you are still shaking. What else are you leaving out?” Kate knew her too well.

Since Leighanne was listening, she first reminded Kate of her fear of drowning, before telling her exactly what the girl had said. Instead of calming down, Julie got herself worked up all over again.


"Ok now deep breaths," Leighanne said, her hands on Julie's knees.
Julie took a deep breath and let it our slowly.
"I think we'll take some extra precautions for the rest of the cruise," Leighanne said.

“Please, don’t tell Alex,” Julie begged Leighanne. “He worries enough, and we can handle this on our own.” Leighanne just nodded, but Kate thought to herself that Julie hadn’t said it to her, just Leighanne.

Leighanne wanted to distract Julie and calm her down, so she handed Julie and Kate a huge stack of request slips to sort through.
"Now if there's one y'all want to hear, just let me know and we'll make sure they sing it," Leighanne said conspiratorially.
Kate and Julie exchanged a smile. They dug thru the slips picking their favorites.
"Oh, we have to hear this one!" Kate said excitedly.
She showed the slip to Julie.
"’Somewhere Over The Rainbow’?" Julie asked, "Isn't that a duet?"
"Yeah, but I bet Tessa knows it. And if she doesn't I do," Kate said.
Kate asked Leighanne what she thought.
"Yeah, definitely need that one. Why don't you head back stage and I'll tell Tessa to meet you there. That way if she doesn't know it, you'll be there to sing it."

Kate made her way backstage and waited for Tessa. Nick came off stage after singing ‘I'm Taking Off’. He swept her up, giving her a sweaty hug.
"Put me down," Kate laughed.
"What if I don't want to?" he teased.
"Well then, it's going to be hard for you to sing your next song while you’re holding me."
Nick laughed, setting her back on her feet.
"I could do it, ya know," he said.
"I know, but how would you hold your mic?" she teased him.
"Kate?" Tessa called, stepping out from the shadows. Kate turned to her.
"What's up? They told me to get back here ASAP." She sounded concerned.
"Do you know Matthew's version of ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’?"
"Yeah, the one he did with Gwyneth Paltrow on Glee?"
"Yeah."

"Yeah I know it."
"Good! You're going to sing it with him."
Tessa looked stunned.

“I’m… I’m… I’m gonna sing with Matthew?”

Just then, Matthew came up behind her.
"I heard my name. What's going on?" he asked.
"We got a request for ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ and Tessa is going to sing it with you," Kate explained.
"Sounds good to me," he said, wrapping his arms around her from behind.
Tessa sighed contentedly. Jesse came over their headsets letting Matthew and Tessa know they were up next.
Nick grabbed a bottle of water and sat in one of folding chairs. He patted his lap for Kate to take a seat. Kate had never been big on PDA so she sat next to him.
"What you don't want to sit on my lap?" He pouted.
"And talk about the first thing that pops up?" Kate laughed.
Nick smiled devilishly.
"No thanks. I don't want you showing off your assets to all those screaming girls."
Nick laughed, "Yeah it would be pretty obvious in these pants wouldn't it? Speaking of... You better be commando too."
Kate blushed bright red. Why couldn't he have forgotten about that discussion?
"You’re wearing underwear aren't you?" he accused.
"Kinda."
"Kinda? You either are or you aren't."
"I'm wearing a thong," Kate said quietly.
"Really?" I wanna see," he said excitedly, grabbing her waist.
Kate managed to get away from him, laughing. They heard BSB being called back to the stage for their next song. He groaned.
"I will see those later. Don't think you're getting out of it," he said, pointing at her as he walked towards the stage.
Kate laughed as she headed back to sit with the other girls.

 

As she passed the pool, she stopped cold. There she was, the girl who had threatened Julie. Kate noticed her eyes were on the stage. She glanced at the stage to see the guys had been all standing there, waiting to hear what song was requested next. Kate turned back and watched the girl as she glared at AJ with menace. What was going on? They all assumed that she was a jealous fan, but the look in her eyes said something else entirely. When the next song was one of AJ's solos, the girl stormed off, not staying to watch. This was very curious. Kate decided to follow her, trying to keep her distance. The girl went to the bar and ordered a shot, downing it quickly. She almost slammed the little shot glass on the counter before pivoting and walking away. Then she left the party. Kate followed her, again trying to stay out of sight. The girl never even noticed her. The girl left the area completely and went to another part of the ship. She had stopped at one of the restaurants on the boat and went in. After the girl sat, Kate took a seat close enough that she could hear the girl but facing the other direction so the girl wouldn't notice her. The girl pulled out her phone, making a call. Kate listened quietly.

"Hey. It’s me.” Pause. “No, he's still with her.” Pause. “Well, what am I supposed to do about it? I already threatened her and if AJ finds out I'm on this boat he'll have me thrown off. ”Kate wished she could hear the other side of the conversation. “You know I can't get that close to him.” Pause. “No, Nick would recognize me too.” She let out a deep sigh. “No, she's always with her friends now. And, I'm kinda outnumbered here.” Pause. “I'll see what I can do but no promises.” She slammed her hand down on the table. “Damn it, Rochelle! If you weren't my sister, I wouldn't be here."


Kate got up and left before she ended her call. She rushed back to the party, her heart pounding. She just got back to the table when Julie grabbed her hand leading her backstage.
"Where have you been we've been calling you? You don't even have your earbuds in."
Kate tried to catch her breath as they headed backstage. Julie helped her get her earbuds untangled and put back in. Tessa and Lauren handed them their mics. The guys were across the stage so they could enter from the other side. Nick waved and she waved back. She turned her thoughts to the song they were about to sing.
Matthew introduced them, "And now once again please welcome NGOTBSB!"
The light went dark so they could take their places. The spotlight came up on Kevin as he stood in the middle of the group while the rest of the knelt down.

"N-G-O-T-B-S-B, baby!"
Kate stood up in the back walking forward as she sang.
"I know we haven't been getting along, long at all. I don't think that it's time."
Then AJ stood, moving to the front.
"For you I to give in just call, call it off. I don't wanna say goodbye"
Julie stood to Kate's left.
"Cause just when I think we're through the memories come flooding back."
Everybody joined in.
"It's like instantly I loved you like that."
The Brian stepped to the front.
"I was on fire for you. We can get it back again if you if don't say it's the end the end."

As the chorus started the group fell into their dance routine. The crowd loved it. Kate was completely absorbed in the performance. As the second verse started, her and Nick stepped to the front. She moved thru the choreography like she'd been doing it forever. She loved singing with Nick and she hoped he enjoyed it as much as she did.

When the song ended, they all took their bows then split up to head back stage. Nick and Julie had gone stage right while AJ and Kate headed stage left.
As soon as they were backstage Kate gave up her mic to a tech and grabbed AJ.
"I need you," she started to say.
AJ interrupted her, trying to be funny.

"Alright, but I already have a girlfriend."
Kate gave him 'the look' and he knew she was serious. He handed over his mic and followed out behind the stage.
When she turned to face him, her face was so serious it worried him. He ran his hands up and down her arms in a brotherly way.
"Katy, what's wrong? Are you feeling okay? Do I need to get Nick?"
"I found out who's after Julie."
He went ashen.
"Who?"
"Rochelle's sister."
"Becca is on the boat?!" he exclaimed. He stepped away from Kate and started pacing.
"I never thought she'd- why would-" he mumbled to himself, his thoughts taking over. He didn’t even realize that Nick and Julie had walked up and were standing behind Kate.
"What's going on?" Nick asked, seeing AJ agitated.
AJ stopped pacing and turned to face them, anger on his face.
"Becca is on the ship," he told them.
"What?!" Nick exclaimed, his heart slamming into his chest.
"Wait, whose Becca?" Julie asked.
"Rochelle's sister," Nick answered, looking from Julie to Kate.
"What?!" Julie exclaimed.
"She's got to be the one sending you the notes," AJ said.
"How do you know?" Julie asked.
AJ nodded at Kate, causing Julie to look over at Kate.
"I saw her at the bar. Something wasn’t right about the way she was looking at you,” she looked over at AJ,” so I followed her." Kate admitted.
"Katy!" Nick scolded "Why didn't you call security?"
"There wasn't time," Kate said. “Something wasn’t right,” she whispered. Her stomach was starting to get upset. She didn't like it when Nick was upset with her.
"What are we going to do?" Julie asked.
"We need to go talk to security," AJ said.

Julie shook her head.

“What about the TRL party?”

AJ took her hand and kissed her knuckles.

“We just did the finale. The DJ will be taking it over from here anyways. I need to worry about only you.”
He kept ahold of Julie's hand and headed back up the steps. Nick went to follow them but Kate put a hand on his arm.


"I'm going back to our room," she told him.
"Are you ok?" he asked, concerned.
"Yeah. I'm just tired," she said. "Too much excitement for one day, I guess."
"Ok baby, I'll be there in a little bit," he said and kissed her forehead. He followed AJ and Julie to collect security.

"I can't believe she's here," AJ ranted.
"Why do think she's here?" Julie asked, trying to keep up with AJ's brisk pace as the three of them headed back to their rooms.
They had spent over an hour with security trying to find out what room she was in and trying to locate her. She wasn't in her room but security was on the watch for her. Julie had been assigned a bodyguard and was under strict instruction that her and Kate were not to go anywhere without a bodyguard from now on.
They were almost to the bottom of the stairs leading back to the interior of the ship when they ran into her.

"Becca!" AJ called out to her.
Becca was a couple of steps from the bottom headed up as they were headed down.
"Alex," she said curtly, taking another step down, closer to Becca.
"What the hell are you doing here?" he asked.
"I had tickets for the cruise and I thought it a shame to miss it, although it would be better if my sister were here. But I see you found a new slut to fill your bed."
Julie was fuming but she restrained herself. She took two more steps down even though Becca hadn’t moved yet.
"Oh, he probably didn't tell you he was engaged, did he?" she said in mock innocence, looking right at Julie. "At least he was, until my sister found out he was sleeping around, but that's not surprising considering he's back into the drugs again."

Julie laughed, having known the truth. Her and Alex had not made love until after she found out about Rochelle.
"Actually, I met your sister. The gold digger, right? Yeah, can't say I blame him for ditching her for someone who can actually satisfy him in the bedroom," Julie shot back, stepping closer. They were only two steps apart.


Julie’s word had Becca seeing red. She lunged at Julie. Julie fell back and both girls rolled down the stairs, clawing at each other. Julie landed on top, straddling across Becca’s small torso. Julie then landed a solid punch to Becca’s right eye before Nick and AJ rushed down the stairs to pull them apart. Nick grabbed Becca while AJ grabbed Julie. Julie fought AJ trying to get back to the fight. When Becca realized she was in Nick's arms, she turned around to cry on his shoulder, not paying notice to the blood flowing from her nose.


He stepped back away from her, looking at her like she disgusted him.
"Nick please, help me. She attacked me," Becca said, trying to win him to her side.
"Yeah right. I'm not blind. You went for her," Nick said.
"I-I was doing it for us. If AJ and Rochelle get back together then things can work out for us too," she said.
"There is no us!" he said adamantly. "There never was, and your sister can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care."
Security had surrounded them by then.
"Get her out of here." AJ said. "And make sure we never see her again."
As they lead Becca away her screams could be heard throughout the area, bringing plenty of girls to see what was going on.

“We will get you back! She can’t have you! Nick, AJ! Come back here!”

They brushed her off as her voice disappeared as they headed down to their rooms.


Kate headed back to her room. She didn't know what was wrong with her. She just felt...off.
"It's probably just all the excitement," she told herself. "Too much adrenaline for one night."
She decided to have a bath and relax before bed. As she undressed she saw something she didn't expect. Blood. Oh dear Lord she was bleeding. Her heart rose up in her throat. She didn't want to lose this baby. She forced herself to calm down. Panicking wasn't going to get her any help. She cleaned herself up and tucked her bloody clothes in her laundry bag. She slid into some sweats and headed to the ship's infirmary. She didn’t even glance at the security guys as she left the VIP hallway.

She took deep breaths as she walked the halls, keeping her eyes on where she was walking, not wanting to catch the eye of anyone. What was she going to tell Nick if she lost their baby? Tears were streaming down her face as she walked into the infirmary.

Nick entered their room expecting to find Kate in bed. The lights were all on but she wasn't there.
"Maybe she went to get something to eat," he thought.
He pulled out his phone dialing her number. Her phone began to play his song ‘Falling In Love Again’ in the bathroom. He went it and picked it up. That was weird. Kate never left without her phone. As he stood there trying to figure it what had happened, he noticed the blood on the floor.
"Shit!" he exclaimed, shoving her phone into his back pocket as he was running out of the room.


He ran down the hall to where a couple of security guys were talking.


"Have you seen Kate?" he asked.
"Who's Kate?" one guy asked.
"About this tall, shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes. She should have been here about an hour ago," Nick said frustrated.
"Oh yeah, she went that way," the security guy pointed.


He ran down the hall trying to catch up with her. He ran passed fans who were trying to get his attention but all he could think of was Kate. Why didn't he come back here with her? He shouldn't have left her alone. He recalled her face backstage. She hadn't looked well. Why didn't he notice? Why didn't she tell him? But he knew the answer to that. Kate was cowgirl all the way. She was tough and she never wanted to drag him down. He reached the end of the hallway and wasn't sure which way Kate would have gone. He glanced around starting to panic when he finally saw the blue sign. The infirmary. Of course that's where she'd go. He ran up a flight of stairs and arrived in the infirmary out of breath.


The nurse at the desk looked at him.
"My girlfriend, Kate, is she here?"
The nurse smiled at him and wave for him to follow her. She led him down a hall to a room on the left.
"She's resting, so don't wake her."
"Thank you," he said as he slipped quietly into the room. Kate was lying in a hospital bed that was propped up. Her head angled to the side as she slept. He stood next to the bed watching her. He took her left hand in his left hand and ran his other thru his hair.
Kate opened her eyes.
"Nick, how did you know?"
"Shh," he said cutting her off. "The nurse says you need to rest."
A tear slid down her cheek and he wiped it away.
"I was so scared," she said, her voice wavering.
He ran a hand thru her hair.
"It's going to be ok," he said.
There was a soft knock on the door and the doctor opened it as he stepped in.
"Hi, the nurse told me you were here. My name is Dr. Thompson."
He walked over to the opposite side of the bed from where Nick stood.
"How are you feeling Kate?" he asked her.
"Weak," she replied.
The doctor looked up at Nick.
"Has she filled you in yet about her condition?”
Nick shook his head and looked down at Kate for an explanation, his heart in his throat.
"I started bleeding," Kate said.
Nick's eyes began to fill with tears. He looked back to the doctor trying to blink them away but they just fell down his cheek.
"I think it was brought on by stress and too much physical activity. I recommend bed rest and that she sees her regular doctor as soon as she gets home."
"And the baby?" Nick asked, wiping a stray tear from his cheek.
"The baby is fine for now," The doctor said
"How long do I have to stay here?" Kate asked.
"I think you'll be ok to return to your room tonight but if you have any more bleeding, I want to know about it right away," He said. "I've given her a mild sedative to keep her calm. I'll have some pills brought to your room. She needs to stay off her feet as much as she can and no more vigorous dancing," he winked at Kate. Kate smiled sleepily.


Nick helped her slide into her clothes and scooped her up in his arms. She protested but let him carry her back. It was better than being in a wheelchair.
He laid her gently in their bed. She had fallen asleep in his arms as he carried her. Security had helped him with the door.


As he held her that night his mind raced. She could have lost the baby. And he could have lost her. His heart ached at the thought. He didn't want to be without her. Ever. He knew what he wanted to do. Now he just had to plan how to do it.



 

Chapter 23 - Pool Party by Dark-Hunter

Kate's phone chirped notifying her she had a new text. The third one in two hours.  She had been able to ignore it till the third chirp but the sound was getting irritating.  She moved slowly out of bed trying not to wake Nick.  It didn't work.
"And just where do you think you're going?" he said sleepily.
"Gotta turn that phone off," she said.


Nick jumped out of bed before Kate could.  He grabbed his jeans off the floor and handed her the phone that was still in his pocket from the previous night.  He crawled back into bed.
"There, now you don't have to go anywhere," he said.
Kate smiled at him and lay back against her pillow.  She checked her text messages while Nick's hand rested on her belly.
 
JULIE:  Heading down to breakfast.  Come join us!
JULIE: Going to the pool.  Meet you at the rooms?
JULIE: Are you ignoring me?  It's like 11:00 get up! Let's go!
 
She sent a message back.
 
KATE: Can't. I gotta rest today.
JULIE: Why? Nick keep you up too late? Lol
KATE: Doctor's orders.
JULIE: What DR?
KATE: Ship's DR
 
Kate couldn't count to five before Julie was pounding on the door. Nick groaned but Kate chuckled. 
"I don't even have to guess that its Julie's at the door."
"Yes, but could you please put some pants on before you answer the door?" Kate requested.
Nick looked down at his grey boxer briefs.
"What? Don't I look proper?" he teased.
"Well, I'd hate for Julie to see you like that, and then ditch Alex and try to steal my man," Kate smirked.
Nick laughed as he slipped on pajama pants.  Julie's insistent knock came again.
"Yeah, Yeah. Hold your horses!" Nick said to the door.
As soon as he pulled the door open Julie pushed past him and knelt by the bed.
"Kate, what happened?" Julie asked, worry creasing her brow.
AJ came in behind Julie but he stood by the door with Nick.
"I had some spotting last night.  The doctor told me to take it easy and to see my doctor when I get home."
"OMG! Are you ok?"
Kate nodded.
"Is the baby alright?"
"Yes," Kate said calmly.
Julie let out a sigh of relief. Then she lightly smacked Kate's arm.
"Why the Hell didn't you call me?!"
"Sorry, I left my phone in the room," Kate said, smiling at her friend.
"You never leave your phone," Julie said.
Nick was getting angry that Julie was more concerned about her knowing than how Kate was doing.
"She was a little busy, Julie," he said angrily.
Julie turned to look at him.
"I know Nick.  I'm just teasing her," Julie said defensively.
Kate knew she needed to diffuse the situation before they got possessive over her.
"Nick, could you please go get me something to eat?" Kate asked.
"I think that's a good idea.  I'll go with you," AJ agreed as he pulled Nick out of the room.  Julie climbed onto the bed and laid on Nick's side of the bed while Kate filled her in on what had happened.
 


"How are you holding up?" AJ asked, gripping Nick's shoulder as they walked down the hall.
Nick sighed, "I didn't get much sleep last night."
"I bet.  But she's going to be ok, right?"
"Yeah. The doctor told her to take it easy, that she was doing too much strenuous activity."
"Ok, no more performances. Check!" AJ said, trying to make Nick laugh.
Nick smiled.
"Actually I'm glad I have you alone.  I want to talk to you about tonight," Nick said seriously.
AJ raised an eyebrow.
"You know we agreed not to pick our girls for the prom queens," AJ reminded him.
"Oh, yeah. I know that. I already told Kate that but..." He hesitated, stopping in the deserted hallway, looking at the floor. AJ stopped and looked at him.
"I can't be without her."
He looked up at AJ.
"I could have lost them both last night."
"But you didn't," Alex said.
"I don't ever want to." He took a deep breath.  "I want to marry her."
AJ couldn't have been more shocked.  Nick didn't believe in marriage.  After his parents had split because of his fame he'd sworn he'd never get married.  AJ knew Nick had been softening to the idea of marriage after seeing how happy Brian and Howie were, but he never expected this.
"Congratulations, man!" he said, hugging Nick.
Nick smiled. "So, I'm going to need your help."
Nick described his plan as he and AJ filled a couple of trays of food for him and Kate.
 


Kate ate breakfast in bed while the four of them talked of their plans for the day.
"Well, I was hoping to hit the pool today but I am sure we can come up with something else we can do,” Julie said.
"We can still go to the pool.  I'll just find a lounge chair and read," Kate said.
"Ok, but I'm carrying you to the pool," Nick said.
Kate shook her and Julie laughed at Nick's overprotectiveness.
"What happened to keeping us a secret?" Kate said.
"Yeah. I pretty much don't care about that anymore," Nick said.
 
He carried Kate up to the ledo deck pool.  Julie found a couple of lounge chairs for them.  She set their bag on the table between them.  Nick kissed Kate's forehead.
"Ok, text me when you’re ready to leave."
"Ok I will. Now go get your work done," Kate laughed.
The guys left them by the pool so they could go work; it was time for them to be Backstreet Boys.
Julie and Kate spread on sunscreen and pulled out their books.
 
Julie was surprised when a short time later, someone splashed her feet.
"Hey girls! Get in here," Lauren said from the pool.
Julie and Kate exchanged a look.  Julie was getting hot and the pool did sound good.
"Go!" Kate told her.
"I don't want to ditch you."
"You're going to be in the pool three feet from me. I'd hardly say you’re ditching me.  Besides I'm reading and you know how absorbed I get.  I won't even know you’re gone."
"Are you sure?" Julie asked.
"Yes. Now go before I throw you in."
Julie laughed before getting up and joining the others in the pool.
"Why isn't Kate coming?" Tessa asked.
"She's tired.  I think she over did it last night," Julie explained.
"Oh poor thing!" Lauren asked.  "Is she ok?"
"Yeah. She just needs to rest."
 
Julie watched as Kate went back to her book. It didn’t take her long to get lost in the pages. Julie went back to enjoying the cool water of the pool. On the main stage, a giant Twister mat was brought out. Julie laughed as she watched the guys get called on stage to join in. Someone from the crew started picking girls randomly from the crowd. Julie laughed when Lauren raised her hand, looking over at Julie and Tessa as if waiting for them to do the same. Julie kept her hand down; reminding herself she could play Twister with Alex anytime.
 
Kate felt a little flutter in her tummy.  She put her hand over the spot and smiled.   She closed her eyes, leaning her head back on the chair. 
"I'm glad you're ok, little one," she said quietly.  She began thinking about what her baby might look like.  Would it have Nick's blue eyes or her dark hair?
 
Julie was holding on to the edge of the pool in the deep end, watching as each one of the guys was losing the Twister game.  Nick and AJ were the only guys left, Kevin, Brian, Howie and Matthew, already sitting off to the side. Julie laughed as Nick missed his Left Hand Yellow, because he had looked over to glance at Kate. 
 
Julie had already seen that Kate had fallen asleep. Tessa was sitting in Julie's lounge chair so she could catch a few rays before prom. Julie was grateful, she hadn’t wanted Kate to be left alone while she slept.
 
Nick came up to the edge of the pool and knelt down to talk to Julie.
“Is she doing okay?” he asked.
“Yeah. I think resting in the sun is the best thing for her. She has on a lot of sunscreen, so no worries. But she needs the Vitamin D." Julie laughed. “I am about to go laydown in the lounge next to her. Any chance you send someone over to get us in about an hour, so we can have time to get ready?”
“Sure. Not a problem. I just wanted to make sure she was ok.” 
Julie smiled at him. She was happy he was concerned. It showed he really cared.
"Oh hey, can I steal you for a bit first?  While Tessa is with Kate?"
"I suppose," Julie said confused.
She climbed out of the pool and headed to the lounge chair to grab her towel and swimsuit cover.   She left Tessa sleeping beside Kate while she caught up with Nick. 
He led her to the mall that was onboard the ship.

"What are we doing here?" Julie asked.
"I need your help.  And you can't tell Kate," Nick said seriously.
Julie eyed him suspiciously.
"I'm going to propose and I don't know what kind of ring she'd like or her ring size."
Julie grabbed him into a hug.
"OMG! Congrats!"
He chuckled hugging her back.
"Thanks but you can't tell her.  I want to surprise her."
He led her to the jewelry store as they looked at rings.
"So when's the big day?" the salesman asked.
Julie looked up embarrassed.
"Oh, we're not getting married.  He's proposing to my sister."
Nick raised an eyebrow. Sister?  He knew they weren't sisters, but why would she say that.
"What tone of metal are we looking for?" the salesman asked.
"White gold or platinum," Julie answered.
The salesman started pulling out different styles for them.
"Oh how about this one?” Nick said. 
He held up a 2 carat pear shaped ring.
"No," Julie said.
"Not big enough?" Nick asked.
"Too big," Julie answered.
She pulled out a simple 1/2 carat round stone on a plain mounting.
"This is more her style."
He tsked at her, "I want her to have something more special than that."
"Well, she only wears silver colored jewelry and she likes round and princess cut stones.  I talked her into a pear shaped ring once and she never wears it."


They whittled their way down thru the stock.  Julie left Nick with three to choose from.  One had a floral design to the band and held a round stone, the second had a twisted band with a round stone and the third had a textured band with a heart shaped stone.
"But which one should I get?" he asked Julie.
"You have to choose.  She'd like any of those but it will mean more to her if you pick it."
Julie left him to decide and returned to Kate.
 
She was still asleep.  Julie woke Tessa, who was more than glad to take off and go get ready for Prom Night. Julie wasn’t worried about getting ready. Kate could be ready in five minutes and she wasn’t planning on curling her hair so she wouldn’t have to wait for her hair to dry. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the heat of the sun on her skin.
 
When Kate opened her eyes, Nick was standing over her.
"What are you doing back so soon?" Kate asked.
Nick looked around.  The pool area was fairly deserted. 
"Where did everyone go?" Kate asked confused.
"I'd imagine they are all getting ready for prom," Nick said.
He scooped her up in his arms.
"Oh. I must have fallen asleep," Kate said disappointed.
"What's wrong?" Nick asked.
"Nothing," she said.
He knew she was lying, of course.  The look on her face said that much.
"Do I need to take you back to the hospital?" he asked. 
He didn't think it was anything like that but he wanted to make sure.
"No," Kate said resting her head against her arm that was around his neck. "I just can't believe Julie left me there asleep."
Nick smiled, "She didn't honey.  She was beside you when I came to get you, then she ran back to her room to get showered so she can come help you get ready."
That made Kate feel better. Although she still felt like she had missed out by sleeping thru the afternoon.
 
Nick had decided the easiest way to help Kate shower, was to shower together. She told him she didn't need any help but he insisted.  Once she was dried off and wrapped in a robe he finished getting ready.

Chapter 24 - Prom Night by Dark-Hunter

Julie was pulling her navy blue dress over her head when AJ stepped out of the shower. He wrapped a towel around his waist and ran a hand over his freshly shaved head. He looked her up and down, admiring her dress. Her dress was floor length and only covered one shoulder and it dipped low in the back. He asked if she needed help with her zipper, even though it zipped on the side. Julie laughed as his knuckles slid over her skin as he zipped her up. He kissed her bare shoulder when he was done, then he headed back into the bedroom to get himself dressed.
Julie worked to pull all her hair up into a semi French twist. She had a visible part on the left side and the very ends of her hair were tuft upwards in the twist. Julie finished her make-up and stepped into the bedroom to get her jewelry.
 
Julie sucked in a breath when she saw Alex in his tuxedo. It was a beautiful Armani suit with a satin lapel and white hankie. His buttons were onyx set in silver and his bowtie was satin. What she wouldn’t have given to be able to get him out of his tux, but she needed to go help Kate out.  
 
She stepped up to him, handing him her sapphire necklace. She turned around so he could clasp it for her. She didn’t expect it to be his lips that touched her skin first. He kissed her neck, sending goose bumps over her skin, all the way up into her hairline. His kisses moved to her bare shoulder. She felt her core tighten. She had to take a step forward, out of his reach. Julie turned to look at him, his dark eyes burning with desire. Julie giggled.
 
“I need to go help Kate.” She kissed the tip of his nose. “But I am all yours after prom.” She took her necklace from his hands, not letting him finish helping her. She turned to the bed, grabbed her matching shoes and purse that sat there, and headed out the door.
Julie took a deep breath to center herself before knocking on Kate and Nick’s door.
 
Nick looked sharp in his black tuxedo.  Julie noticed he wore a satin yellow vest and yellow bowtie that matched Kate's dress.  She had to give Kate kudos, Nick was a hottie. He stepped to the side to allow Julie into the room. He nodded towards the shut bathroom door.
“She’s in there, but she won’t let me in.” He then looked out into the hallway. “Where’s AJ?”
Julie tried not to laugh, thinking of the state she left him in.
“I think he is taking a cold shower.”
“Shit! He is still in the shower! We are supposed to be…” Julie held up a hand to stop his rant.
“Nick, I mean he was in need of a cold shower. He was dressed when I left.   Now, I better go see about Kate.”
 
Nick headed down the hall to meet AJ who was coming out of his room.
Nick laughed, "Heard your woman got you all hot and bothered then left."
"Did you see her dress? It was all I could do not to peel it off her," AJ said.
 
They stopped into the ship's mall before heading to prom.
"Where exactly are we going?" AJ asked.
"I gotta pick up the ring before the party."
"I thought you and Julie picked it out earlier," AJ asked confused.
"We did but it had to be sized and have the diamond mounted."
 
 
Julie knocked on the bathroom door, letting Kate know it was her. She only opened the door a crack to make sure it was only Julie, before letting her in. Julie tried not to laugh as she saw Kate was still in her bathrobe.
 
“Oh, Sweetie! Why aren’t you dressed yet?” Julie asked with real concern.
“I'm not going,” She sighed.
“Like hell you’re not.”
“I'm serious. I am not going to jeopardize my baby to go to a fake prom where I can’t even dance with my boyfriend. It’s not worth the chance our baby could get hurt.”
Julie could see her point, but she also knew that Kate was feeling self-conscious about her baby weight. She stuck her head out the door and saw Nick had already left. She pulled her cell out of her purse and quickly sent him a text.
 
JULIE: Kate doesn’t want to go to the dance and risk hurting the baby.
NICK: That’s my girl. But You know she can't miss the party.
JULIE: Can we get a table and chair secured for her, so she can come and enjoy?
NICK: Come to the VIP area where L & L will be. There are chairs and tables. I need her to be here.
 
Julie turned to Kate, smiling big at her as she took her dress off the hanger on the back of the door.
 
“Let’s get you dressed. Leighanne and Leigh are waiting for us in the VIP section. You need to go. We can sit with them and just have a good time.”
Kate shook her head no. She still didn’t think it would be good to go.
“Don’t make me send another text to Nick. He would come get you and carry you there, still in your robe, if need be.”
That made Kate smile. She knew Julie was right. He absolutely would do that and she would rather not be seen in her bathrobe. So she let Julie help her get ready.
 
Soon enough the two girls stood in front of the mirror, looking at each other. Being in the sun earlier that day had given them both a little sun glow. The yellow of Kate’s dress made her skin look radiant, not to mention the fact that she carried the beauty of pregnancy. Julie had helped to do her hair into delicate curls, pinning one side back with a faux diamond bobby pin. Her makeup was shimmery and sweet, with a slight bronze affect to it.
 
“Wow. You look breathtaking,” Julie said.
Kate blushed, “Thanks.”
“Well, so we ready head to the party?”
“Yeah.”
 They grabbed their purses and All Access Lanyards and headed out the door.

The party was in full swing when the girls arrived. The party goers were all dressed in their finest. The dresses were all so very different. Not two girls had the same style. There were hot pink and red, blue and green, and lots of black. There were some that were very short and others that were floor length, like Julie and Kate’s dresses. There was super tight and super flowing. The only thing missing at the prom was dates.
 
The five guys were already on the stage singing, when the girls walked in.  As if they had sensed their presence, AJ and Nick both looked back to the entry way as the girls walked in. The light behind them lit them up. Nick almost faltered in the song as he watched Kate flow into the room. AJ missed a step and smacked into Brian as he looked at his angel.  Brian laughed and they all seemed to quit singing as they lost their places.
 
“Woh,” he laughed again. “I don’t think there has ever been a time where we have messed up that bad.”
Kevin stepped up and spoke.
“And to think, it was all because of a pretty girl.”
“A lot of pretty girls,” Howie said, trying to help cover the real reason, as he looked to Kate and Julie. He smiled big. “Being on a boat with so many beautiful women has caused us all to do crazy things.”
“How about we start another song?” Nick suggested.
“I would really love to sing ‘Bigger’,” AJ suggested. “It kinda reminds me of some of the girls on this boat.” He was looking right at Julie and Kate as they tried to make their way to the VIP area. The others agreed and they quickly got into place.
 
Leighanne stood as Julie and Kate got closer. Her white dress was flowing and reminded Julie of a Greek Goddess. Her beautiful blonde hair was down and in waves, shining in the light. Her smile lit up her face as she reached to take Kate’s hands into her own.
“Hey, Darlin’. How are you holding up? Nick told us what happened.”
Kate glared at the stage at him, but he was singing and couldn’t see her glare.
"Don't be mad, he told us because he cares. Here, have a seat.” Leighanne patted the chair next to her at the large round table.
The guys performed a few more songs before they had the DJ take over. Julie watched as most of the guys worked their way through the throng of girls to find one to dance with. They each had one security guy with them, to prevent other girls around them to try and interfere with the one they were dancing with. Nick had not joined the guys, but AJ was dancing with a short robust girl in a pink frilly dress. Julie laughed as she saw the look of pure joy on the girl’s face. She was just about to get Kate’s attention to show her, when she felt her phone vibrate in her purse, on her lap. 

NICK: In two songs we need Kate and you mixed in the crowd, apart from each other please.

Julie had an idea of what was going on. She knew better than to show Kate, she would never go into the crowd, so she waited until that song was over and the next was half over to make her move.
 “Kate, I need some fresh air, how about you?”
Kate nodded.
“Let's head that way, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of girls hanging out on that side.” Julie was pointing to the opposite side of the ballroom. They would have to walk through the crowd to get there. Kate looked at her hesitantly.
“Can’t we just go out that way?”
“No. Something tells me we need to go to that side.” Julie got up and took Kate’s hand, almost dragging her into the crowd. As they moved through the mass of finely dressed girls, Julie saw Brian in the corner of her eye. He had just said thank you to the girl he had been dancing with and was trying to move on the find another.

Julie spotted Nick, he was looking for them she had no doubt about that. Julie tried to maneuver them a little closer, but was stopped when a tall big black guy stood in front of her.
She tried to get around him but he kept moving to side step her. She was about the shove him when she saw Nick peek his out from behind the guy. He smiled big at them both. When he stepped around the big guy, Julie moved slightly to the left so that Kate was almost right in front of him.
He offered Kate his hand as the words to the next song began. It was ‘I’ll Be’ by Edwin McCain.
 “May I have this dance?” he asked her.
 Kate blushed and nodded, taking his hand. He gently pulled her close to him, bringing his right hand to her lower back.
 
Julie was about to head back to the VIP area when she felt a warm hand on her bare shoulder.
“I could really use someone to dance with. Do you mind?” Julie turned around to face AJ, his eyes bright with happiness.
“I don’t mind, but there are about three thousand other girls that might,” she teased.
"They'll get over it." AJ smiled at her.
Julie leaned back slightly to look in his eyes.  The color reminded her of hot chocolate, much lighter than the normally dark shade of brown she was used to. She had to use all her strength to not kiss him at that moment. She could see he was fighting the same battle.
 
Nick and Kate danced in circle. Kate's hands rested on Nick's shoulders and his were on her waist.
"You look stunning tonight," he said.
Kate blushed, glancing down at her dress.
"You've seen me in this before," she said.
He sighed contentedly, "Yes and you get more beautiful every time I see you."
Kate smiled up at him.  "Even if my belly is starting to show."
He smiled.
"Showing the best thing I ever did."
Kate swallowed the lump in her throat.  As long as she lived she'd never forget he said that.  And she'd make sure her child knew that too.
"Are you enjoying prom night?" he asked.
"Yes. It's my first one." Kate confessed.
"You never went to prom?"
"I didn't have one.  I went to private school."
"Wow. That must have sucked."
"It had its advantages."
"I can't believe they didn't have prom."
"Well you've made up for it," Kate said. "Ya know I didn't really want to come.  I didn't feel like sitting around watching you dance with other girls."
"I know.  Julie sent me a text, but I'm glad you came because I have a favor to ask," he said.
"Anything," Kate replied.
"Would you sing with me tonight?" he asked.
Kate's heart soared.  She loved singing with him.
"Sing what?"
"’There For Me’.  We didn't get a request for it last night but I'd like to sing it with you."
"I'd love to." She said, "I didn't bring my earbuds.  Do you think I'll need them?"
"I have them backstage with your mic.  I'll bring them to you later."
Kate smiled.
 
Alex pulled Julie closer, breathing in her scent. These few days had been so hard on both of them, he was realizing. He knew why she had wanted to be secret during the cruise and it had already been proven to be a wise choice, but all he wanted to do in that moment was get lost in her. His hand went up her back to touch her soft bare skin. He leaned in, turning towards her ear, so only Julie could hear him speak.

“Have I told you tonight how beautiful you are?”
She leaned back to be able to look into his eyes. He had told her those words before, but being in a place with so many truly beautiful women, she really felt his words. She smiled, causing her eyes to shine a little brighter.
“Have I told you tonight how much I love you?” she whispered back.
“I could spend all night right here, in your arms and be complete.”
“Me, too. But you need to pick a Prom Queen.”
As the song ended, he gave her a squeeze, bringing their bodies as close as he could.
“I’ll see you soon. Love you.”
He reluctantly let her go and walked away. It took everything in him not to turn and look at her one more time.

As the song ended, Nick hugged Kate, whispering ‘I love you’ in Kate's ear before he moved on to find someone else to dance with.
Kate returned to her table sitting next to Leighanne. A waiter came to take their drink order but the food was set up on banquet tables in the back.
Kate sat with Leighanne and Leigh telling them what the doctor had said.  They three of them compared their pregnancy experiences.
 
When AJ had moved on to find another dance partner Julie decided to check out the buffet so that she could let Kate know what was there and get her a plate later.  As she approached the table she saw Lauren walk in alone.  She waved her over. 
Lauren wore a floor length sage green dress.  It was strapless with a low-cut sweetheart neckline.  It was accented with a large sparkling broach on the waist and had a slit up one side that showed her shapely left leg as she walked.
"Hey!" Julie called, "You look great!"
"Ditto!" Lauren replied.
"Where's Tessa?"
Lauren turned back to the door as Tessa entered on Matthew's arm.
People turned and looked as them.  Tessa's red dress hugged her curves from the deep v neck, down to mid-thigh them flowed out to the floor.
 Tessa caught sight of Julie and Lauren and pulled Matthew over to them.  He looked dashing in his black tuxedo pants and white dinner jacket.  He had a red carnation pinned to his jacket.  He looked so proud to have Tessa on his arm.
 
"OMG Julie you look amazing!" Tessa said.
"You too!" Julie replied.
Tessa blushed, "It's just cause Matthew makes me look so good."
"I beg to differ," he said. "It's you that make me look good."
Lauren rolled her eyes as Tessa and Matthew made goo goo eyes at each other.  Julie laughed.
"Come on we have a table in the VIP section," Julie said leading them to the table.
BSB went back to the stage and sang a couple more songs then stopped for a question and answer session.
There were a few crew guys in the audience running around with microphones for the girls asking questions.
"Oh this ought to be good," Leigh said.
"Why?" Kate asked.
"Well, we always see which guys get proposals," Leighanne laughed.
"Well, surely Brian and Howie won't," Kate said. "Everyone knows their married."
Leigh and Leighanne exchanged a glance and burst into giggles.
"Welcome to life with a Backstreet Boy!" Leigh laughed.
Some of the questions had Julie wondering if the girls were BSB fans at all.
"What is your favorite BSB song?"
"What is your favorite part of being a Backstreet Boy?"
 
But it was Brian who got the first proposal.  Leigh and Leighanne hi fived.
"Oh that's awfully sweet, but ya see, I'm already married to the my soul mate," Brian replied.
 
After the Q and A the guys turned it over to the DJ so they could mingle and get something to eat.  Nick headed straight for the food tables. He filled a plate to overflowing and walked over to the VIP section.  He set the plate down in front of Kate.  Kate looked up at him surprised.
"Hi," she said.
"I thought you might be hungry." He smiled down at her.
"Are you sure this is for me?" Kate teased, "I mean that girl in the white dress looked like she was ready to marry you tonight."
Kate laughed as Nick blushed at being reminded of the girl that proposed to him.
"You're not upset about that are you?" he asked.
Kate smiled at him, "No, I know your heart belongs to me."
Brian came and escorted Leighanne off to get something to eat and Nick slid into Leighanne's chair.  They shared the plate of food each trying not to eat too much so the other would have enough.
 
AJ had not been able to make his way over to the food or the VIP area. He kept getting stopped by fans. He seemed to be the crowd favorite at the moment. Julie laughed as she watched him try to work his way to the food, but never seemed to get more than a step or two before a girl had a question or wanted a hug. He finally got to the table when she saw his shoulders slump. He touched a finger to his earbud as if someone was speaking to him. He let out a very visible sigh and turned to head back to the stage.
The guys had been called to head back up to perform again, but before they left, Nick pulled Kate's earbuds and mic out of the inside pocket of his tux.
"When are we singing?" Kate asked.
"Not till the end of the party.  Can you have one of the girls help you with your earbuds?"
"Of course.  Now go makes those girls' night!" Kate instructed.
He winked at her and headed for the stage.
 
Kate sat at the table most of the night while the other girls danced and partied. Julie kept coming back every so often to check on her, but Kate finally told her she was fine and for Julie to enjoy the night enough for both of them. Kate was enjoying herself by watching Nick interacting with his fans.
 
As the evening started to wind down, the guys all assembled onstage. 
"And now the part of the evening we've all been waiting for," Howie said into his mic.
"It's time to announce our Prom Queens," AJ continued.
There were murmurs through the crowd, every girl hoping it would be her.
The guys dispersed into the crowd to select their queens. They all return to the stage leading a girl by the hand.

Brian's girl was short and heavyset. She was wearing a pink ball gown with spaghetti straps.
He retrieved her tiara from a table on the stage. Her smile was massive as he was placing on her head.  The delicate tiara had BSB spelled out in rhinestones.
"My queen, Brittany," Brian said.
There was applause for Brittany and she blushed profusely.

Kevin's girl was tall and gangly, dressed in a turquoise short tea dress. Howie chose a Hispanic girl, wearing an orange micro mini dress. 

AJ's queen was gothic.  Her red and black dress and dramatic make up made her look like a vampire. Ironically her name was Angelique.

Nick chose a girl with the wildest dress.  She wore a leopard print, spaghetti strap top and a red frilly skirt that looked like a short version of Julie's petty coat. 
 
They danced a few songs, in a circle made in the center of the dance floor with their prom queens, before opening it back up to the other girls. A half an hour later Brian and Howie made their way to the stage while Nick and AJ worked the crowd within.
 
Brian took his mic from a tech and went to the center stage, Howie right behind. Julie laughed as she watched Brian squirm. It was a sight she had never seen before and she wondered what was about to happen to make him look like that. It wasn’t until she looked at Howie that she noticed he had the same look on his face.
 
“Since tonight is Prom Night and our last night on the boat, I want to share something special. Well, we all do. But I get the pleasure of going first.” Brian looked over to the VIP area where his wife sat with the other girls.
“I would like to ask my beautiful wife, Leighanne, to join me on the stage.” Kate looked over at Leighanne, as she stood up and headed towards the stage. She appeared to be a shocked as the others. As she worked her way through the girls, who were trying hard to make a path for her, Brian continued talking.
 
“So many people in this world never find love.  I have been so blessed. I not only married my best friend, but my soul mate. She has always stood by me. No matter what happened, I could always count on her love.”
Leighanne had finally gotten on the stage, AJ and Nick right behind her. As they were putting in their earbuds and handed their mics, Brian took Leighanne’s hand into his.
 
“For more than ten years you have been here for me. I haven’t had the chance lately to tell you how much I love you. So here I stand, ready to tell you.”
 
Just then, as if cued to that moment, music began to start. The other guys stepped up just behind the two of them in a semi-circle. Brian began to sing lead of ‘I'll Be There For You’.
 

Don’t say a word
I understand
You wanna know
If I’m still your man
 
Girl, can’t you tell
By the touch of my hand
I’m gonna please you
Every way that I can
 
I’ll hold you
(Hold you)
Love you
(Love you)
 
“I’ll never let your love go
(Let you go, let you go)
For always
(for always)
 
“I’ll stay
(I’ll stay)
Just look in my eyes
And you’ll know
 
(everyone joined in at this part)
 
“Baby, I’ll be there for you
Wherever you go, whatever you do
Girl, I’ve got forever in sight
For all of my life, I’ll be there for you”

 
Leighanne wiped the tears from her eyes as they fell.  Everyone was tearing up as Brian sang his heart and soul to her. There had never been a moment where she had ever doubted his love for her, but it meant so much to have him sing it to her, remind her of it. Leighanne didn’t think she could have loved him more but you could see Leighanne’s love for him growing more than she ever thought possible.
 
When the song ended, Leighanne stepped into Brian’s arms and he kissed her with a passion that wasn’t meant for public eyes. Her cheeks flushed red when they broke apart. He didn’t let her go. They just stood there for a moment in each other’s arms. Not wanting to waste any time, Howie stepped forward, called his own wife forward.
 
Leigh looked over at Kate as she stood up. She placed one hand on Kate’s shoulder as she walked past. Once again, the crowd made way for Leigh to get to the stage. Howie stood at the top of the steps, waiting for his wife. She kissed him lightly on the cheek when he took her hand. They took only a few steps before Leighanne reached for Leigh. She hugged Leigh, before she headed to the side of the stage.


Howie brought Leigh to center stage, where Brian and Leighanne had been just moments before. He took a deep breath, turned to the crowd, then back to Leigh.
 
“There are not enough words in the world, nor enough notes in music, to express everything I feel for you. This song, we all wrote together, years before I met you. But somehow, it was always meant for you.”
 
The music started for the song ‘Rush Over Me’ and they began to sing. Howie faced Leigh, touching her cheek with the back of his hand.

 
“Washed away my sad face,
Flooded all my empty space
You take away life's heartbreak
And I know with you it's gonna be ok
 
“You're rushin through me
(Like water from Heaven)
I Feel you movin through me
(Like sand in the sea)
And now I feel so alive
I know that there must be
Something here
(so alive)
Cause you're all the air in my atmosphere
Finally I feel complete cause
You are rushed over me yeah
(over me over me over me)”

 
This was something the crowd did not expect, to have the guys singing to their wives. Many of the girls in the crowd were wiping at tear, just as Leigh was. Even Kate had to wipe at her face, the tears falling. In her heart she wished that one day it would be her Nick was singing to. She turned to look at Julie, who had a very similar look on her face. She was dabbing at her eyes with the cloth napkin she had had in her lap. Kate then looked at Leighanne, who was still on stage, smiling at her as they locked eyes. She turned back to say something to Julie.

 

She never got to say what she was thinking. They both were in total shock when AJ stepped forward. Julie felt knots begin in her stomach. She turned to look at Kate and mouthed, “He wouldn’t, would he?” Kate just shrugged.


“As many of you know,” he started out, “I was engaged, but things didn’t work out and we said goodbye. I never thought I would ever find love. But one night, when I was least expecting it, the woman of my dreams came into my life.”
He looked right at Julie. She could feel tears welling up, but she blinked them away. She didn’t want anything to blur her vision. She didn’t move, except to wipe away tears, as he kept talking.
 
“I have been an alcoholic and a drug addict, but to her, my angel, I am just Alex. She has brought me down to earth and made me see that I can be loved for who I am. I know many of you have met her this weekend, and the first thing you need to know, is she is a truly talented woman, who has given up being with me most of this weekend because she didn’t want you, our fans, to feel like she was taking time away from you.”
 
He looked right at her, reaching one hand to show everyone where she was. He gestured for her to stand.
“I want to introduce you to my girlfriend, my angel, Julie. Julie, please, come up here.”
Julie shook her head no, but he laughed and called her up again. Kate gave her a gentle push to get her to move. Julie took a timid step forward, followed by another. No matter how slow she walked, the stage got closer and closer. Her heart was pounding so hard as she took the steps up the stage. Leighanne and Leigh smiled at her as they stood by their husbands.  AJ met her at the top of the steps.  He took Julie’s hand and kissed her knuckles.


“As my brothers have done before, I want to sing to you.”
He didn’t give her a chance to say or do anything. The music to ‘Let’s Do It For Love’ began and his beautiful voice resonated through her, his words hitting her heart.
 
I love you with everything that’s in me
Did you know that?
You’ll be the first that’s ever been so close
You should know that
I’ve been loving you since the beginning
For what it’s worth I’ve always been waiting for this moment

(The chorus began and the guys stepped up on either side of AJ and Julie, Brain and Howie with their wives on their arms)


One special night for one special girl
Let’s make love like it’s our last day on Earth
With everything I am I promise it will be
Much sweeter than you ever could dream
Let’s do it tonight baby
Let’s do it for love
 
“Never had a reason to believe that love would find me
It must’ve known something that I didn’t know
And you showed me that if I had a chance to go to heaven
Girl I’d stay here cause nothing could make me miss this moment
 
One special night for one special girl
Let’s make love like it’s our last day on Earth
With everything I am I promise it will be
Much sweeter than you ever could dream
Let’s do it tonight baby
Let’s do it for love
 

(AJ ran the back of his knuckles down Julie’s cheek as he sang)


“I can’t think of any place I’d rather be than here with you
When I hold you close to me feeling every bound of your heartbeat, baby
It’s the way you look into my eyes
That lets me know just what you wish it’s for a night like this
 
“One special night for one special girl
Let’s make love like it’s our last day on Earth
With everything I am I promise it will be
Much sweeter than you ever could dream
Let’s do it tonight baby
Let’s do it for love
 
“Let’s do it tonight baby
Let’s do it for love”

 
As the song ended AJ pulled a jewelry box out of his pocket. Julie was wiping the tears from her eyes and didn’t see him pull it out. His voice brought her eyes back to his face. Her heart leapt when she saw the box.
"Julie, I want you to know that you hold the key to my heart.  Please keep it safe."
He opened the box to reveal a necklace in the shape of an antique key.  It was platinum with black diamonds encrusted in the top of the skeleton key.  The chain was long enough that when he fastened it around her neck it didn't cover the shorter sapphire necklace. 
After clasping the necklace on her, he kissed her bare shoulder then stepped beside her to hug her.  He surprised her by dropping her into a dip for a passionate kiss. Her arms snaked around his neck, not caring about the people watching. She never wanted to let him go. But as the crowd cheered for wildly them, she felt like she was being selfish. She broke their kiss and he stood her back up.


Nick was the only single guy left on the stage.  Kate's heart started racing when she realized that. He stepped to center stage. He was looking into the crowd so she glanced at Julie, who now stood next to AJ, their arms linked together. Julie happened to look at Kate at that moment. She was smiling, knowing what was about to happen. Kate felt the knots tighten a little more because of the look on Julie’s face.


"So how many of you follow us on Twitter?" he asked. The crowd screamed.
"And how many of you are tired of Nick dropping hints about a secret?" Howie said, teasing.
Nick turned to look at him, pretending to be annoyed.  The crowd ate it up, screaming for more. He turned back to the crowd.

"Well, you're just going to have to wait…. because I want to sing a song first."
The crowd cried out in disapproval of the news as the music for ‘There For Me’ began.

Kate looked up at Nick a little confused. Her earbuds were in and she heard Jesse’s voice tell her it was time, clearing up any confusion. She quickly turned on her mic, ready to sing from her seat.


Lately I've been thinking
About the things that we've been through
And I don't know if I'd be here if not for you
I had to take a little time and try to work things out
And you should know that I've never meant to let you down
 
(When Kate joined him on the chorus he motioned for her to come to the stage)


'Cause I, I wanna tell you that I am sorry and I, I
Even when I'm not giving enough
and I'm taking too much
You still there for me
Even when I've got nothing at all and I'm ready to fall
You're still there for me (there for me repeat 2 X)
Even when I can't be there for you ,
You are always there for me
 

(It took some time for the crowd to realize where the singing was coming from, you could see them all looking around, trying to find the source)


Sometimes I know I can be so hard to understand (it's ok)
Even when I'm lost you show me who I really am
Life (with me it) hasn't always been an easy ride
But because of you,
I've learned to lose my selfish high
 

(Kate made her way to the stage blocking everything but Nick and the music)

You always were
Must be love
It's gotta be real love
It's gotta be real love
Real love
 
Even when I can't be there for you
Even when I can't be there for you
You're always there for me ...

 

When they finished Kate was on stage standing next to Nick.  They had sung to one another, completely ignoring the audience.  Thunderous applause followed their song snapped them back to reality.  When the crowd settled down Nick turned to the audience.


"I'd like you all to meet my girlfriend, Kate."
There was a cheer from the crowd.
"Kate, I have something to ask you."

He reached in his pocket as he got down on one knee.  The crowd went crazy.  Kate bit her lip to hold back the tears.
"Katherine Hope, will you do me the honor of marrying me?"
Kate swallowed hard trying to make her voice steady.
"Yes I will," she said into the mic.
He smiled as he slid the ring on her finger.  Kate looked down at the heart shaped stone mounted on a floral setting.  Nick stood up, pulling her in for a kiss.
The crowd was going crazy.  They had just witnessed something they never thought would happen.
"I Love You,” Nick said as he pulled away.
"I Love You too," Kate replied, tears of joy streaming down her cheeks.
 
The music began for ‘Yes I Will’ and all the guys stepped forward to sing to their girls. They stood in line with Brian at stage left. Leighanne was turned to face him. Leigh was next to her, facing right, to Howie. Nick was next, with Kate facing him, and Julie and AJ were stage right.

Brian began, looking deep into his wife’s eyes...

I open my eyes I see your face
I cannot hide I can't erase
The way you make me feel inside
You complete me girl, that's why
Something about you makes me feel
Baby my heart wants to reveal
I'm down on my knees, I'm asking you
Say these three words I wanna hear from you

The guys joined in, taking the hand of their love


Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, say these three words I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you
Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, baby I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you

Oh yes I will

AJ smiled at Julie before he began


This is no ordinary love
And I can never have enough
Of all the things you've given to me
My heart , my soul , my everything
Every night I thank you lord (I thank you lord)
(AJ looked up to the sky)
For giving me the strength to love her more
And more each day I promise her
As long as I hear those three words

Everyone sang together


Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, say these three words I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you
(Nick glanced down at Kate’s belly, not caring it anyone saw)
Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, baby I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you

I stand beside you, in everything you do
Wherever you go, whatever you do
Baby I'll be there (oh baby I will be there)
As God as my witness
I will carry this through
Till death do us part, I promise to you

Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, Baby baby yes I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And start a family with you, baby
Yes I will
Yes I will
Yes I will, I promise you
Everything's gonna be all right
It's gonna be all right
I will


As the song ended the couples kissed and then they all started to head off stage. AJ and Julie were already down the steps and Leigh and Howie at the top of the stairs when Kate stopped where she was and pulled Nick back.
"Wait!  Nick. I thought you promised all these people a surprise!" Kate said into her mic.
The crowd started cheering. Nick looked at Kate.  A devilish grin spread across his face.
"You sure?" he asked her, away from the mic.
She nodded.  He turned back to the crowd.
"So would you like another big announcement?" Nick said.
The crowd went crazy again. What could be more exciting than finding out that Nick was getting married?
He stepped behind Kate, putting one hand on her waist.
"Kate and I are expecting a baby this April."
Kate ran her hands over her belly, cradling her baby and pulling her dress tight against her so everyone could see her growing bump. Nick took the hand on her waist and slid it across her abdomen, claiming his unborn child in front of everyone.

The crowd was cheering so loud they almost didn’t here Brian talk. The wives and Julie moved back to center stage and surrounded Nick and Kate, congratulating them on sharing the news they all knew. Howie and AJ moved to stand next to Brian.

“I think our girls could use one more song. What do you think?” The crowd was screaming yes and offering suggestions. The girls on stage all turned and looked at each other, wondering what they could possibly sing now. Julie hoped it was something upbeat so she didn’t have to stand still. The crowd screamed louder when the music started.


Each guy went to grab their woman’s hand, one BSB at a time, spinning their girl around then moving to stand in a spot on the stage.

Nick went first, pulling Kate close as he began. He didn’t want to move her around much so he danced around her.

 

Liftin' me up, me up, me up, me up.
Liftin' me up, me up, me up, me up...

When I'm down on my luck and I'm searching for my soul
When I'm feeling too much and I start to lose control
When I'm down so low that even enemies don't wanna know
You still care for me, say a prayer for me, and I know

Oooh, I like you hangin' around
'Cause you lift me up when I am upside down
Oooh, you are my favorite sound
'Cause you're always down for

Lifting me up like an angel when I hit the ground
Feel your arms all around me when I'm feeling down
Lift me up like an angel when I hit my low
When your arms are around me
I don't wanna let you go

AJ went next. He took Julie’s hand, spinning her in place just before he began his solo. He kept ahold of her hand as he stared into her blue eyes.


When I'm lost along the way and I can't face another day

(he went down on one knee on the word ‘stumble’)
And if I stumble on the road and if I can't carry the load
And if I lose my faith, and kindness, and generosity
Would you hold my hand? 
(Julie reached for him)
Say you understand my pain

Oooh, I like you hangin' around
'Cause you lift me up when I am upside down   (
Julie helped him stand up)
Oooh, you are my favorite sound
'Cause you're always down for

Lifting me up like an angel when I hit the ground  
(the guys down on one knee)
Feel your arms all around me when I'm feeling down
Lift me up like an angel when I hit my low 
(the girls offer their hands hand lift them up)
When your arms are around me
I don't wanna let you go

It's been a long hard road, and it's only just begun, my friend
And this I know
You helped me carry the load
'Cause you're always down for

Lifting me up like an angel when I hit the ground
Feel your arms all around me when I'm feeling down
Lift me up like an angel when I hit my low
Well, you're always around
You're my favorite sound

Lifting me up like an angel when I hit the ground  
(the guys down on one knee)
Feel your arms all around me when I'm feeling down
Lift me up like an angel when I hit my low 
(the girls offer their hands hand lift them up)
When your arms are around me
I don't wanna let you go

I don't wanna let you go
'Cause you lift me up now
Well, you're always around..
You're my favorite sound
Lift me up now
You lift me up
Lift me up now
Yeah, you're always around
You're my favorite sound

Lift me up

 

When the song ended, all four girls wrapped their arms around their guy and kissed them deeply. They all worked their way off the stage as the DJ took over, a song playing before the last Backstreet Boy had left the stage. They were working their way to the dance floor, to have a few more moments together.

As much as Julie wanted to dance with Alex, she had seen that he still hadn’t had a chance to eat. She pulled at his arm to get him to go the other direction, towards the food. The music and screaming girls was so loud he couldn’t hear her tell him to go eat. So she got so close to him that their bodies were almost one.

“You need to eat. Now.”

He smiled at her and how she was looking out for him. He glanced around the overly crowded room. He knew they wouldn’t need him anymore that night. So he followed her to the table. He grabbed two plates in one hand and began filling them. When he saw Julie didn’t have a plate, he handed one to her.

“Fill that one with stuff from the dessert table, please,” he asked her. She tried not to laugh. He must be really hungry. He saw the look on her face and chuckled.

“We are heading back to the room with the food,” he said. “If you don’t mind, that is.”

Julie smiled at him, letting him know she didn’t mind at all. It had been a long day and all she wanted was to be alone with him. She turned back to the dessert table, taking it in with a new point of view. She got grapes and strawberries with whipped cream, as well as brownies and cheesecake. She laughed to herself as she piled it up. AJ came up behind her and leaned in close to her.

“What is so funny?” he asked.

“I am so glad the cruise is almost over because after tonight, I won’t be able to wear a bikini again.”

“Oh,” he said, pretending to be disappointed.

“Oh what?” Julie said, turning to face him.

“Nothing,” he looked down at the sweets on her plate. “I was hoping you were thinking about what we could do with all that sugar.”

He could see her cheeks flush red and he knew she had been thinking the same things as he was.

“Let’s get outta here,” he said, leading the way to their room.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 25 - Dessert by Dark-Hunter
Author's Notes:

Sorry it has taken so long! I have been working on my first full length novel that getting published soon! It features AJ and Nick, but only BSB fans would know!

I hope to get this story finished soon. Thanks for your patience!

Julie couldn’t help but laugh the moment their door shut. The looks they were given as they walked to their room, was priceless. She set the plate on top of the small table in the room and kicked off her shoes. She had just reached for the zipper on the side of her dress when Alex stepped up beside her and set down the plates he carried.

“Let me help you with that,” he whispered in her ear. Goose bumps erupted all over at the feel of his warm breath on her bare skin. She turned to face him so he could access the zipper easier. Alex took his time unzipping her dress. The zipper wasn’t very long, yet he took forever to get it all the way down. He faced her and helped to slide the fabric off her one shoulder and the dress fluttered down to pool at her feet like deep water.

She stood before him in her navy blue panties and bra. The strap went across her chest from the inner side of the left cup and over her shoulder to hook on the back right side. He looked hungrily at her full breasts as they almost spilled out of her bra. He stepped up to her, capturing her lips with his as his hands worked to free her bosom from the gilded cage that held them firm. Julie let out a sigh of relief as her breasts were released from the bra. Alex laughed against her lips at the sound before kissing her again. As the bra fell to the floor, he helped her step out the fabric that was piled around her.     

Julie reached for his jacket, intending on helping him out of it, but he gently grabbed her hands, pulling them away. She looked at him a little confused. He just chuckled, not saying a thing. He turned from her to go to the food. Julie just stood there, becoming even more confused as he put a bite of food in his mouth. She sat down on the very edge of the bed as he turned around. He smiled at her but didn’t say anything. Julie knew he was hungry and she had been the one to tell him he needed to eat, but why did she have to be mostly naked while he ate? When he turned around again to take another bite of food, she got up and headed to the bathroom. Before he even realized she had moved, she had shut the door.

Julie wasn’t trying to be mean; she just didn’t want to sit there mostly naked. She grabbed the bathrobe that was hanging on the wall and put in on.  She decided to go ahead and let her hair down while she was in there. She took the French twist out and fluffed her hair with her fingers. Most of it was still wet, where it had been twisted up right after her shower. She knew Alex loved the smell of her shampoo so when she ran her fingers through it, she could smell it and she knew he would be able to as well.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Julie didn’t open it; she just took a deep breath in, let it out and said, “Yes?”

“Baby, is everything okay?”

He sounded truly concerned so Julie opened the door just a crack. He was still fully dressed. She looked him up and down. He even had his shoes on.

“Yeah. Everything is fine. I was just getting cold sitting there.” She had a hint of humor in her voice, but he didn’t hear it. He put one hand on the door, giving it a little pressure. Julie leaned into the door, stopping him from opening it.

“Babe, let me in.”

“I don’t think so.”

“What is going on?”

“You tell me. You undress me and then ignore me. You wouldn’t even let me get your jacket off.”

He laughed whole-heartedly. Julie looked at him with complete confusion written across her face. He reached into the bathroom just enough to be able to place one hand on Julie’s cheek.

“Come out and I will explain. Please.”

Julie sighed, like she was upset. She opened the door the rest of the way. He laughed again when he saw she had on the bathrobe.

“Really?” he said.

“I told you, I was cold.” That wasn’t really the truth. The cabin was warm since the sliding glass door to the balcony was open. Julie breathed in the briny scent of the ocean as she stepped into the room. Alex had turned off the main room light and only had on the small lamp on the desk. The moon was shining bright and the light spilled into the room.

Alex came up behind her and reached for the ties of the robe, but Julie gently pushed his hands away. She stepped away from him and went over to the table and grabbed a plump strawberry off one of the plates. She turned to face him while she placed it in her mouth. She took a small bite of the juicy berry, sucking on the tip to get more flavor out. She watched as his eyes got a little bigger. He took a step forward as she took another bite. He reached for her robe ties again, but she pushed him away. She turned her head to be able to look him deep in the eyes.

“I thought you were going to explain,” she said, “why I was mostly naked and you were fully dressed.”

He took her free hand before he spoke, taking her close to the opened balcony door.

“When you came out of the bathroom, right before the Prom, I saw the hunger in your eyes. I could see that you liked how I looked in my tux and then you told me that after Prom, you were all mine.”

Julie nodded, she remembered. He still looked so good in his tux, but that didn’t explain why she was almost naked.

“So when we came in here, I had a plan, since you promised to be all mine. I wanted you to see me in my tux while I did things to your body you would never forget.” Julie felt her cheeks flush bright red.

“I needed to have a few bites of food first; otherwise, I might have devoured you.”

Julie laughed at that. He always seemed to be able to make her laugh at just the right time. She now understood what he had planned and it made her blush again just thinking about what he would have done to her. He kissed her hot cheek, moving to her lips. Julie’s arms went around his neck and she didn’t protest as he untied her robe. Her arms left his neck so that the robe could fall to the floor along with the unfinished berry.

 

Nick proudly walked Kate to the dance floor, her hand in the crook of his arm. He pulled her to a stop close to the stage.

"May I have this dance?" he asked.

He took her right hand in his left and rested his other hand on her waist. Kate gazed up into his blue eyes. She suddenly realized that they matched. She laughed at herself for being 'so observant'.

"What's so funny?" Nick asked.

"I just realized that we match." Kate laughed.

Nick laughed, "Wow you're good, hon. I've been in this tux for what? Five hours?"

"Hey, I never said I was the brightest light bulb in the box." Kate laughed. He pulled her closer, pulling her right hand on his shoulder and wrapping his left hand on her waist. Kate laid her head on Nick's shoulder as the danced in a slow circle. Nearby Kevin was dancing with Lauren.

"Hope you don't mind that I didn't sing to you," he said.

"Why would I mind?" Lauren asked, surprised that he thought she'd be upset.

"Well, I just thought that since all of BSB was singing to their girls..."

Lauren smiled at him.

"Kevin, we only met two days ago. Brian and Howie are married; Nick and Kate are getting married and AJ and Julie, well, they just belong together. I didn't expect any of that attention. Now, if we're dating next year..." She laughed.  Nick led Kate back to the table to rest.

"You know what sounds good right now?" She asked coyly. He raised his eyebrows.

"Dessert," she laughed.

"As you wish, my lady," he said dramatically and Kate laughed.

"Anything in particular you want?"

"Chocolate."
 

As Nick went to get her dessert, Kate looked down at her left hand. It felt so odd to have a ring there. And this was no small ring. The stone had to be a whole carat. She didn't think she'd ever seen a heart shaped diamond before and the band was a beautiful white gold with flowers engraved on it and diamond chips for center of the flowers.

"Excuse me." Kate looked up to see a group of girls standing at the edge of the VIP section. "Can we see your ring?" the blonde girl pleaded. Kate smiled. She stood up and walked over to them. She held out her hand so they could see it.  "OMG! You are so lucky."

"How does it feel to know you're marrying a Backstreet Boy?"

"When is your baby due?"

"Is it going to be a girl or a boy?"

The barrage of questions was coming at Kate faster than she could think of answers much less answer them. Nick walked up behind Kate. He slid his free hand around her waist, the other holding a plate of dessert.

"How are you girls doing tonight?" he said to the group.

"Nick, omg! I can't believe you're getting married!"

"That was so romantic!"

"What a beautiful ring!"

Kate just smiled as Nick stood there, interacting with his fans. She liked this part of him. The part that was grateful to his fans for enjoying the music he had written. No fan was too small to be acknowledged, no reasonable request denied. After he answered all the girls questions, Nick lead Kate back to the table to enjoy their dessert. Since the party was starting to clear out they decided to walk back to their room.

"Can we stroll on the deck?" Kate asked. It seemed like a silly request but it sounded so romantic, to be able to say 'We strolled the deck.’  Nick smiled and led her up the stairs and out onto the deck. They held hands as they walked, Nick on Kate's right. He sighed contentedly.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Kate said. He brought her knuckles to his lips.

"I'm so glad you said yes," he said.

Kate laughed loudly, "Yeah, like I could have said no and not been thrown overboard."

Nick laughed "Oh I see, you didn't want to go swimming so you agreed."

"Well yeah!" Kate said sarcastically making Nick laugh harder. They walked on in silence for a while, each lost in their own thoughts. Kate lifted her left hand, admiring her ring.

"Do you like it?" Nick asked timidly.

"It's the most beautiful ring I could imagine. But you shouldn't have spent so much money."

"I wanted to get you a bigger one but Julie said no."

"Julie?! She knew? That little sneak."

Nick laughed, "I swore her to secrecy." Kate smiled up at him.

"It was very smart of you to get my BFF's opinion."

"Well she helped me narrow it down."

"I love it, Nick and I love you." He bent his head down kissing her, and then wrapped an arm around her as they continued to their room.

Kate stood out on the small balcony outside their room. The cool night air felt good. She had changed into her pajamas while Nick had gone in to have a shower.  She was lost in thought when he came out of the bathroom and joined her. He wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"What are ya thinking about?" he asked.

"Why you asked me to marry you," she replied. He turned her gently in his arms.

"Because, I love you."

"I was afraid that it was just because of the baby."

"Come here," he said leading her inside.

He sat on the end of the bed and she sat next to him. He looked into her hazel eyes trying to read her thoughts. He placed a warm hand on her belly.

"I guess technically you could say it's thanks to this baby." Kate was confused by the way he worded that phrase.

"So if I wasn't pregnant you wouldn't want to marry me?" Kate asked.

"I didn't say that." Nick said quickly. He paused to put his thoughts in order before he continued. "Last night when I saw the blood in the bathroom it hit me that I could lose you. And as much as I love this kid, the thought of losing you scared the hell out of me."

"But you don't believe in marriage," Kate said.

"Have I ever told you that?"

"No." she admitted sheepishly, "I read it in one of your interviews."

"I never use to. My parents had a messy divorce and I never want to go thru that but," he paused not knowing how to continue. Kate rubbed her hands over his bringing his eyes back up to her.

"Nick I only believe in three reasons for divorce. If you cheat on me I'd leave, if you hit me I'd leave or if you hurt my children, I'd leave. Everything else can be worked out."

"Kate you know I'd never…" She interrupted him.

"I know. That's why I'm telling you this." She sighed in frustration. "The problem with people today is that we live in such an instant gratification society that people think that if things get hard they can just leave but that's not the way it's supposed to be."

Nick put an arm around her, pulling her against him. They sat in silence for a few moments each in their own thoughts. Kate pulled back to look up into Nick's eyes.

"I do love you and I will be honored to be your wife but I'm not in a hurry. Do you mind if we wait till after the baby is born?"

"There's no rush."

 As they climbed into bed next to her he began to realize what Brian was talking about all these years. It was like Kate knew how he was feeling and automatically adjusted to him. The idea of marriage scared the hell out of him but Kate; but he'd do anything for her and their unborn child.  As he lay there with Kate in his arms he began to imagine his life with her. His thoughts drifted to their child. Would it be a boy or a girl? Dark like Kate or blonde like him? What would they name it?
  

Chapter 26 - Final Day by Dark-Hunter

 

It was ten in the morning when Kate heard her cell phone go off. She quickly grabbed it off the nightstand, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey Katy, it's Leighanne.  Leigh and I decided we need some girl bonding time so we're going to go to the spa while the guys mingle with the fans."

"Ok." Kate said sleepily. "When are we meeting?"

"Now." Leighanne laughed.

Kate smiled, "Thanks for the warning.  Let me brush my teeth and put some clothes on and I'll be out."

She told Nick what was going on as she got ready.  Kate pulled her hair back in a ponytail and slid into jeans and a v-neck t-shirt. She kissed him goodbye and headed out to meet the girls.

All six girls had a quick breakfast before going to the spa.  When they reached the spa Leigh and Leighanne walked straight to the desk.

"Hi. I'm Leigh Dorough, I called about an hour ago."

"Of course Mrs. Dorough, reservations for six for massage, facials, mani, pedi, wash and style.  If you'll come with me,” the lady said, leading them to a locker room.

"Holy cow, Leigh! We're going to be here all day." Julie exclaimed as they changed into robes.

"That's the idea!" Leigh smiled.

"Besides, we have to look beautiful tonight for our men." Leighanne added.

"What's going on tonight?" Lauren asked.

"Well, the guys always take us out to a fancy dinner after the cruise."

"Oh my gosh! What are we going to wear?" Tessa asked, causing the other girls to burst into laughter at Tessa’s blondeness.

"What?" Tessa asked confused.

"We're wearing the dresses we wore last night." Leigh explained, "The guys will be in their tuxedos." She didn’t get to discuss the matter any further as the hostess from the spa returned to collect them.

"We have three massage therapists available, so who would like to go first?" she asked. The girls all looked back and forth at each other, no one wanting to hurt another’s feelings by asking to go first. Julie took a deep breath and spoke.

"Kate and I'll go."

"I don't think I can have a massage." Kate said, as much in a whisper as she could. "I can't lay on my stomach."

Leighanne glanced at the hostess who looked a little confused., "She's pregnant."

The hostess smiled at Kate. "Congratulations! Let's get you over with Michelle.  She is trained in prenatal massage and has an adjustable table."

 

Kate lay on her back on the massage table.  The lights were dim and soft music was playing as Michelle rubbed the tension from her body.  It felt so good.  Kate had never had a real massage before and after this weekend she needed it.  Her mind wandered as she lay with her eyes closed. 

"I can't believe he proposed." She thought to herself. "That was the last thing I expected.  He doesn't even believe in marriage.  Well maybe you helped change his mind.  Maybe, but what if it's still just about the baby?  He wouldn't have to marry me just because we have a kid together.  And where would we live? I doubt he'd move to Omaha, it's not exactly convenient for recording records.  But I don't want to move to Tennessee and then be alone when he's on tour. Besides I can't leave Julie.  Of course she may leave too.  With how serious her and Alex are getting she may move to California and then I'd be alone anyway.  And what about the horses? Nick doesn't exactly have room at his place. I have to be back to work Wednesday.  I wonder if Nick booked me a flight home? I better ask him tonight.  I wonder how long it will be before I see it again."

"Are you ok?" Michelle asked, "I'm I hurting you?”

Kate hadn't even realized that tears had begun to slide down her cheeks.  She wiped them away. "No not at all.  Sorry my mind was just wandering."

"Well, you just need to relax and think happy thoughts.  Did you get to meet any of the Backstreet Boys on the cruise?" Michelle asked trying to distract her.

Kate laughed, "Yeah, you could say that."

Michelle was confused but she didn't want to pry.

 

After their massages Kate, Julie and Leighanne were moved into a larger room for their pedicures. The three of them sat in a row, Julie in the middle.

"I feel like Jell-O." Julie said.

Kate burst into song, "You look so good you look like Jell-O." Both of them started laughing and Kate’s outburst.

"Ok, I definitely missing something here," Leighanne said.

"It's a 100 Monkeys song."  Julie explained.

"Who are the 100 Monkeys?" Julie and Kate explained about the actor Jackson Rathbone and his band. Leighanne didn’t know who he was so they had to explain the movie series known as The Twilight Saga.

“Ok,” Leighanne said, “This is a BSB cruise, not a vampire one. So no talking about another music group.”  She was teasing but the look on Kate’s face said she thought the other woman was being serious. “Relax Hon, I’m just kidding!”

 

Four hours later the six women had finished with their pampering and were headed back to their cabins to finish packing up and get dressed for the evening. They had been told that all they needed to do was place their bags outside the cabin door in the hallway and they would all be collected together and delivered to the hotel.  Kate and Julie were both a little apprehensive, but Leigh assured them it would be fine.

Julie was more than anxious to be with Alex again, so she just threw her clothing into her bags, not caring if they became wrinkled. She had everything ready and was putting her dress on when she heard the door open. She ripped the bathroom door open, thinking it was Alex. She was a little surprised to see it was just someone from the ship. The young man just smiled at her and asked if he could take her bags now.

“Of course.” Julie replied.

As she turned to go back into the bathroom she heard someone clear his throat.  She turned back to see Alex where the porter had been only moments ago.  He stood there just admiring her.  She bit her lip as she looked at him.  He wasn’t dressed up yet but damn he was good looking!  How did she ever get lucky enough to be with him?

 

Kate stood in front of the mirror applying her make up.  It hadn’t taken her long to get dressed and since her hair had been styled at the salon she had packed for herself and for Nick and set their suitcases in the hall as instructed.  She was just brushing on her foundation when Nick walked in.

“Hey, beautiful,” he said

“Hi, Handsome.”

“Did you have fun with the girls?”

“Yes, it was very relaxing.”

He kissed her bare shoulder.  “Good, I’m glad you had a nice time.” He stepped back into the bedroom to change into his tux.  Kate followed him, sitting on the bed.

“So what are we doing now?” she asked.

“Now we’re talking you girls to the Rusty Pelican for dinner.”

Kate looked down at her dress. “I’m thinking I’m a little over dressed for a restaurant called the Rusty Pelican.”

Nick laughed. “It’s a five star restaurant on the water.  You’ll love it.” Kate smiled, she knew Nick loved to spoil her but she’d be happy with take out and pjs at her house as long as he was there.

“So how are you feeling?” he asked.

“Tired, but okay.”

“Do you want to just go back to the hotel?” he asked, more than a little concerned.

“And miss dinner?  When have you known me to turn down food?”  She laughed.

“Good point.” He smiled as he pulled on his jacket.  “Well how do I look?” he asked, spinning slowly, modeling for her.

“Sharp!” She replied. He scooped her up in his arms.

“What are you doing?” she said, surprised.

“I’m taking you to dinner,” he replied innocently.

“Nick, put me down.”

“Nope.  Doctor’s orders you’re not suppose to be on your feet and you were already up too much last night at prom.”

Kate rolled her eyes. “This is ridiculous!  I’m perfectly capable of walking.”

“That’s not the point and you know it.  We already had one scare with this baby and I’m not taking anymore chances.”  She sighed in resignation as he carried her from the room.  They met up with the rest of the gang in the lobby before leaving the ship.

“OMG!  Kate what happened?” Tessa exclaimed running over to Kate.

“I’m fine.” Kate said calmly. “The doctor told me to stay off my feet so Nick’s taking that to extremes.”

“As he should.” Brian said.

“Oh no, not you too.” Kate said frustrated.

“There is nothing more precious than the life of your child.  Take care of it.” Brian scolded.

“Yes Dad.” Kate said looking pennant.

The group moved down the gangway to the waiting limos.  There were three limos waiting for them.  Nick carried Kate to the closest one and set her inside.  She scooted to the far door to let everyone else in.  Leighanne climbed in next sitting on the side bench.  Brian sat next to her then Nick got in sitting next to Kate.  Nick held Kate’s hand while they rode to the restaurant.

“So Kate, I hope you don’t mind but Leighanne filled me in on what happened last night.  I just want you to know that we’ve been praying for you.” Brian said.

“Thank you.” Kate said sincerely and looked down at her hands.  Tears had begun to sting her eyes.

“What’s wrong, honey?” Leighanne asked.

“Why would you do that?” Kate asked her voice barely a whisper. Brian and Leighanne exchanged a look then they both looked to Nick, who shrugged.

“Because we care about you.” Leighanne answered.  Kate looked up trying to blink back the tears.

“I appreciate the thought but I don’t think God cares about me anymore.”

“Why would you think that?” Brian asked

“I’ve fallen too far.  I can’t ask Him to forgive me now.”

Nick pulled Kate closer to him and Leighanne moved to sit on her other side, taking her hand.

“God loves you know matter what,” she said.

“My own mother doesn’t even care anymore so how can God?” Kate asked. Brian scooted closer on his bench leaning in to talk to her.

“Your mom’s human.  She makes mistakes too.  But God is so much bigger than that.  He loves us so much that he sent Jesus to die for us.” She wasn’t convinced.  Brian reached out placing a gentle hand on Kate’s belly.

“Kate, if your daughter made the mistakes that you’ve made would you still love her?”

“Of course I would.”

“And there’s nothing she could do to make you stop loving her?” Brian asked.

“No.  She’s my daughter I could never stop loving her.”

“Don’t you see your God’s child.  He loves you no matter what.  There’s nothing you can do that He can’t forgive if you just ask Him.”

“But I got pregnant.” Kate said meeting Brian’s blue eyes.

“This may not have been they way God intended you to have a family but this child is going to be a blessing.  Not just for you but for Nick and his family, for us as your Backstreet family.”

“You really think so?” Kate asked.

“She already is, Baby.” Nick said.

“But that doesn’t mean God will forgive me.” She said.

“God can only forgive you if you ask Him. Do you want to ask Him?” Leighanne asked gently. Kate could only nod, her tears flowing in earnest.

“Brian why don’t you start.” Leighanne suggested. They all joined hands.

“Lord we come before you now so grateful for this opportunity to speak to You.  Today we bring Kate before you to ask forgiveness.  Lord we all make mistake but You’ve promised in You’re faithfulness to forgive us.  We ask that of you now, Lord.  Forgive Kate for her sins, build her up and make her a strong follower of You.  Lord it’s never easy for us to humble ourselves and crawl back to you but we know that you will always take us back just like the prodical son.  Lord we ask for strength for Nick and Kate in their upcoming marriage.  We thank you for letting them find each other and pray that the challenges that will come up in their lives will pull them closer together rather than tear them apart.  We thank you Lord for you grace and mercy that you shower over us.  Please bless Kate and Nick with a safe delivery and a healthy child. In Jesus Name. Amen.”

Kate couldn’t believe it, she actually felt lighter.  Like a burden had literally been taken from her shoulders.  When she looked up she saw Brian smiling at her, she looked to Nick.  He had been crying too.  She hugged him.

“I’m going to be ok!” She said, “God does love us!  All of us!”

Nick held her tight.  He’d never had the faith that Brian had but now as he had prayed along with them he too felt his burdens lightening.

When they pulled up to the restaurant Leighanne whisked Kate off to the ladies room to fix her make up before the others figured out what was going on.  The guys stepped out of the limo and Nick grabbed Brian’s shirt.

“Brian,  I just want to say thanks.”

Brian studied Nick’s face.  He could see the change in Nick already.  Brian sent up a silent prayer of thanks.

“Your welcome.”

“I can’t tell you what it means to me that she’s happy.” Nick said trying to explain his feelings.

“I totally get it, bro.  There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for Leighanne.  I won’t lie to you marriage isn’t easy but it’s worth every minute of it.”

The second limo pulled up and Julie, Alex, Lauren and Kevin got out.

“Where’s Kate?” Julie asked

“She and Leighanne had to powder their noses.” Brian said making a funny face.

“That sounds good to me!  Lauren you comin’?”

“Absolutely!”

After the girls disappeared they guys went in to get their table.



This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10723