Illicit Gentleman by VeeLynn
Summary: Illicit - not legally permitted or authorized; unlicensed; unlawful.

Gentleman - a man of good family, breeding, or social position.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Domestic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 67976 Read: 39115 Published: 10/31/11 Updated: 10/31/11

1. Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

2. Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

3. Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

4. Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

5. Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

6. Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

7. Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

8. Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

9. Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

10. Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

11. Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

12. Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

13. Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

14. Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

15. Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

16. Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

17. Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

18. Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

19. Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

20. Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

21. Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

22. Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

23. Chapter 23 by VeeLynn

24. Chapter 24 by VeeLynn

25. Chapter 25 by VeeLynn

26. Chapter 26 by VeeLynn

27. Chapter 27 by VeeLynn

28. Chapter 28 by VeeLynn

29. Chapter 29 by VeeLynn

Chapter 1 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                            Chapter One

 

 

 

            His eyes rolled up looking out the top of his glasses as he ducked his head a little, getting a better view of the large neon sign as they slowly turned into the large parking lot.  Bright pink neon tubes looped around and crisscrossed forming the word “Messieurs”.

 

            “Messieurs?” He asked looking at his friend who was driving.

 

            “French for Gentlemen.” His friend smiled back at him as they pulled into the parking lot.

 

“A strip joint? Not in the mood really, thought we were going to play some pool.” He moaned as he looked out the front window at the large cement brick building a few feet away.

 

“Come on AJ you said you wanted to get your mind off the fight, what better way then with some titties.” 

 

AJ looked at his friend and nodded.  “Point, let’s go.” Pulling on the handle he opened his door and got out of the car.  “Can we smoke inside?” He asked quickly.

 

“Yeah” His friend replied.  With a light sigh too himself he followed his friend to the doors.  Mats was right he needed to get his mind off of the fight with Sarah.  Why was having a girlfriend, well now fiancée so damn hard?  “Did you bring any?”

 

“What?” AJ asked his thoughts being broken but when he read his friends expression he clued in.  “Oh, yeah, I’m good, had some before I left too.”

 

AJ remembered after he shut out the screaming woman outside their bedroom, he went into their bathroom and did a couple of lines to chill out.  His buzz was starting to fade so he made a mental note to hit up the bathroom when they got to their table.

 

AJ’s friend nodded.  “Nice.”

 

“Have you been here before?” AJ asked as the bouncer opened the door.

 

“Hey Mats usual table?” A man asked as he approached them.

 

“Of course.” AJ’s friend nodded.  The man turned around and Mats motioned for AJ to follow him.

 

“That’s a yes.” AJ said to himself as they walked down the small set of steps.

 

“It’s a nice place; if you want to touch ask to go into the back.” He smiled.  AJ smirked and lightly laughed as they stopped at a table.   “They’re all game, well except for Eve she just dances.”

 

“Eve?” AJ asked.

 

“She’s a dancer here and the only one who doesn’t do anything extra, even laps.” Mats told him.

 

“Do you know her?” AJ asked.

 

“Do I know her as she’s fun likes to party type of girl Yeah.  If you mean what does she look like naked or her mothers name then No. She’s been dancing here for a long time though.” Mats shrugged.

 

“Ew, old and saggy”

 

“No, she’s the same age as you dude.” Mats said shaking his head as a waitress walked up.

 

            “What will it be tonight hun?” The woman asked Mats. 

 

            “I’ll have my usual and he’ll have a JD on the rocks.” Mats said pointing to AJ.  She smiled and left, her tight leather pants catching AJ’s eye as she walked away. 

 

            “I’m going to hit the bathroom real quick.” AJ said standing up.

 

“Alright, I’ll go later so we don’t look like bitches.” Mats said lighting a smoke.

 

AJ laughed as he headed to the hallway that lead to the washrooms.  A woman came out of on of the doors, her hair was flaming red and she wore a long silk robe.  He backed up against the wall to let her go by.

 

“Thanks.” She said with a light smile.

 

“No problem.” AJ said with a light smile. “Maybe this place wasn’t so bad after all.” He thought to himself as he watched her walk away and behind a door.  Continuing down the hall he found the mens room and headed inside.  He quickly entered one of the stalls and pulled out his small dime bag baggy.

 

“Been in worse.” AJ thought as he looked around at the condition of the bathroom. He pulled a small mirror from his wallet and set himself up a few lines.  When he was done he quickly cleaned everything up.  As he walked out of the stall he gave himself a once over making sure there was no evidence of what he was up too and then he left men’s room.

 

When the drinks came the night began and with every glass of JD a girl came out dancing.  It was starting to take a lot to get him drunk nowadays but by the time the eighth girl came out, his buzz was creeping up his body.  Then quickly his eyes looked up from his glass as he heard the DJ announce the next dancer.  “Eve” he said her name was and AJ wondered if this was the girl Mats was talking about. 

 

He had to admit it intrigued him a little.  A stripper that just stripped, that was rare these days and it made him want to know more about her.  AJ sat his empty glass down as the music began to play, the bass pounding in his chest and the lights began to flicker.  When the lights lit up the stage he saw her standing over a chair, her back to them as she danced to the music.  Her hair was a fire red and a long red laced robe covered her back.  She walked around to the back of the chair and he realized that was the girl he ran into in the hallway. AJ felt his blood pressure increase at the sight of the open robe hanging loosely down the front of her, the red and black bikini the only thing covering her.

 

“Hot isn’t she.” Mats voice broke out over the music.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded as he quickly looked to Mats and then back to her. 

 

When his eyes locked on her again, she slipped the robe off her shoulders and let it fall to the floor as she made her way towards the pole in front of them.  He watched as she spun around it, her arm extended as she twirled down and then right back up.  She danced in front of them, her body rolling and rocking to the beat of her music as she reached behind her and unclipped her bikini top.  Pulling it off her she tossed it behind her and reached for the pole, pulling herself up and slowly spinning down. Her long, slim body slithered like a snake slowly up the pole.  AJ wiped his hand on his pants when he notice they were getting sweaty and he notice his heart rate was beating a little faster than normal but he couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

 

The music ended and the lights went off, guys cheered, clapped, and whistled as the DJ called for everyone to “give it up for Eve.”  AJ was slowly clapping and felt a little disappointed it was over.  Another glass was set in front of him and another girl came out to dance but he found himself not into it, his mind replaying Eve. 

 

“Alright, we should cab it.” Mats said as he stood up.  AJ looked up confused and then looked around, most of the guys were getting up a leaving. He wondered how long he had zoned out for.

 

“We’re going?” AJ asked as he got up from his chair wobbling a little.

 

“Yeah man, shows over.” Mats sighed.

 

“Don’t you ever leave?” A woman’s voice said from behind Mats and his friend spun around.

 

“Not while you’re here.” He replied and AJ saw who the voice came from.  “Eve, this is AJ.”

 

“Hi” She said with a light smile.  Her hair, her hair wasn’t red at all it was brown and hung straight down to her shoulders.  He looked down at her in jeans, t-shirt and runners.  She wasn’t even nearly as tall without the high heals on.

 

“You know thee AJ.” Mats said again as he looked at her.  “He came here just to see you ya know.”

 

“Right Mats.” Eve said with a gentle laugh.  “You smell like you need a ride home.”

 

“You would be right.” He nodded. 

 

“You too?” She asked looking right at AJ and he found himself tongue tied.

 

“Yes, he does too, I drove him here.” Mats said for him as he rolled his eyes a little.

 

AJ swore to himself all the way to her car, AJ Mclean and he fumbles like a fifteen year old with a crush, to a stripper.  When he felt the people in front of him stop, he looked up and saw them standing at a blue Ford Taurus. 

 

“Shot gun.” Mats whispered as he walked by and AJ almost didn’t hear what he said.  Quickly he made his way in side the front of the car and closed the door. Shaking his head AJ got into the back.

 

“So who’s closer?” Eve asked as the car started.

 

“I am.” Mats said and he was being truthful.  “Good show tonight Evie, like always.”

 

“Thanks Mats.” She smiled lightly at him in the rearview mirror.

 

“So is your name really Eve, cause you know most dancers have a stage name.” AJ said then he quickly kicked himself wondering if he sounded rude.

 

“Yeah, Eve’s my real name, well my nickname, Evelyn is my real name.” She told him.

 

“Pretty name” AJ nodded.

 

“Thanks.” She smiled and he smiled back as he looked out the front window. 

 

The car ride to Mats was far from quiet but AJ never said another word to her.  He just listened to her talk to Mats, not knowing what to say to her or even to try.  If Mats hadn’t taken her home yet, there’s no way he could and if there was even a chance Mats would take it, well lets just say he liked his dancers. 

 

It surprised him again; she wasn’t what you think a stripper would be like.  She wasn’t loud, she wasn’t rude, or even crude, she seemed almost shy, reserved and it made the need to know her even stronger.

 

“Evie you’re a doll.” Mats said as he stumbled out of the car.  “I’ll be back for my car tomorrow night.”

 

“If Ted doesn’t have it towed.” Eve said out her window. 

 

“Yeah, yeah, be good to him.” Mats said pointing to AJ.  AJ quickly rolled his eyes a little embarrassed.

 

“Goodnight Mats.” Eve sighed. As AJ got out of the back and into the front.

 

“I’ll call you man.” Mats said quickly to AJ and he waved to his friend.

 

“So where are we going?” Eve asked and AJ realized Mats didn’t tell her.

 

“Orchard” AJ replied and he saw a small look of amazement flash over her face, then it was gone.

 

“Alright” She nodded as she turned left.

 

Now the car was in silence as they drove through the city.  His mind raced trying to think of things to say, to ask but he couldn’t think of a single thing.  He wanted to get to know her but it’s not like it could go anywhere he was engaged to Sarah and after everything they had been through. 

 

“How far down?” Her voice broke him from his thoughts.

 

“Ah” AJ said quickly trying to see where they were.  “Three more houses.”

 

“So was this your first time at the club?” Eve asked.

 

“Yeah, wanted to get out for a bit, Mats said he was going there.” He shrugged.  “It’s a nice place, I’ve seen worse.”

 

“Yeah, me too” She replied and he wondered how much truth there was to that.  “Is that it?” She asked as she pointed to his house.

 

“Yep” He nodded.  “Um…” He froze in the seat remembering who was at home.  “Just drop me off at the drive way easier to pull out.”

 

“Ok.” Eve said as the car began to slow.  When it stopped in front of the drive way he reached for the handle.  He was about to open the door but then stopped.

 

“Thanks for the ride.” He said looking at her quickly.

 

“No problem.” She replied with a light smile.  “Have a good night.”

 

AJ smiled at her as he closed the door and waited for her to pull away.  He watched her car leave and with it a small, little, tiny fantasy.  Sighing to himself he headed up the drive way to the house. When he got inside all was quiet and he was thankful.

 

Quietly he made his way upstairs to his room.  Opening the door he slowly crept in and looked at his bed.  He sighed to himself; a little relieved to see Sarah sleeping on her side.  With the upmost silence AJ undressed and slid into bed.  Rolling onto his right side he looked out the small crack in his curtains.  He thought about the fight they had, stupid stuff and he couldn’t really remember anymore what they were thanks to the Jack. 

 

The memory of him flying out the front door, letting it slam behind him as he dashed for his car, driving too Mats after calling him wanting to go out and the memory of Eve dancing filled his mind.  By the time he got his mind to settle he had made a mental note to call Mats and find out when Eve was dancing again.

Chapter 2 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Two

 

 

 

The dull almost peach coloured lights raced across his face as he stared out his car window.  His elbow rested on the top of his door, stretched in front of his face, his pointer finger resting on his lips and his mind went over the past few days’ events.  He needed to drive, just drive until the gas ran out and get away from his thoughts, thoughts that spun in his head like they were in a blender.  There was the fight with Sarah, going to the club with Mats, seeing the dance and a girl he hadn’t been able to get out of his mind, the next morning waking up and finding Sarah gone and not seeing her since.  She did call this morning and said she was at a friend’s, and that she’d be staying there until they’ve both cooled down.

 

“Cool down.” He scoffed at the words as they played in his head.  “I’m not the one all fucking anal.  I’m not the one who’s down my throat about the fucking coke, but nothings stopping it from going up her god damn nose.”  As the words left his lips the anger rose in his body.  He pounded on the steering wheel releasing the rage in him. Jerking his wheel he pulled into a parking lot and whipped into a stall.  AJ slammed the car into park and growled as he slammed back into his seat with one final smack of the wheel.

 

Now the rage was gone and a feeling of loneliness and disappointment slinked through him.  What had he become?  Why couldn’t anyone love him?  He fought back the tears as he placed his hands back on the wheel.  A feeling of regret came over him and he thought he should have picked up before heading out.  Someone shouting outside his car distracted him and he looked up finally seeing where he was.  His eyes fell in puzzlement a little as he looked up and saw the large neon sign with its pink lettering.

 

“Drink sounds good.” He said to himself as he pulled his keys out of the ignition and opened the driver’s door.

 

Walking across the parking lot he pulled his cigarettes from his pocket and lit one.  Taking a long drag he waited a minute and then exhaled the smoke out of his lungs, the tension slowly blowing away with it.  He nodded to the bouncer as the large man open the door for him and he walked inside the dim lit building. 

 

When he reached the steps he looked around for a place to sit and made his way to the side of the stage.  Sitting down he took a look around, the place was filling up, and the room buzzed with chatter.

 

“What can I get ya?” A woman asked and AJ looked up at her.  Not the same waitress that had served him when he was here with Mats.

 

“Jack on the rocks, please.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“Be right back.” The girl smiled. 

 

Taking a deep breath AJ relaxed in the chair a little.  He wasn’t planning on coming here, things were busy with his group getting ready to head out on tour and he hadn’t gotten down here to see her dance like he wanted too.  When he went out tonight he just wanted to get away, get away from everything and everyone.  Now here he was in large room full of people, waiting for her to come out.

 

“Why in the hell am I here?” He asked himself as his finger tapped the table.

 

“One Jack.” The woman said and he almost jumped at her voice.

 

“Sweet, how much?’ He asked pulling out some bills from his pocket.

 

“It’s on Eve tonight.” She told him as she walked away.

 

“Oh?” AJ said a little shocked as the waitress walked away. “Thanks.” He said as he looked at the glass a little confused.  Then he shrugged it off as he wrapped his fingers around the glass and brought it to his lips.  The potent flavour danced around his taste buds and trickled down his throat.  As he put the glass down the drink warmed his body from the chest out and another moment of relaxation crept through him.

 

By the time he finished his third glass, again not having to pay for it, or the one before it, the music started and he looked up almost like a kid looking for Santa in a mall but as the curtains flew open and a blond walked out he sat back, realizing it wasn’t Eve.  Not paying much attention to the girl on the stage he pulled out a cigarette from his pack and lit it, his fingers spinning the glass around as he took a drag.

 

More girls came out and more glasses of Jack sat at his table.  As the woman brought him another glass, his ear perked when the DJ announced the next dancer and he noticed he wasn’t the only one who did so.  The same music played from the last time he was here, the lights flashed like the last time and when the stage lit up she danced in front of the chair. 

 

Eve danced and AJ watched, more intently than he did the other night.  His eyes drifted along her body as she walked passed him and he lightly licked his dry lips as her robe fell to the stage floor.  Taking a sip of his drink he swallowed hard as she slithered around the pole.  He let his eyes scan up as her bikini top came off; he caressed her breasts in his mind for a moment and then took a deep breath and another drink, shaking the image away.  When he looked back up the lights were off and the DJ was calling for applause. 

 

Staring at the glass in front of him he found himself wanting to go back to the split second day dream.  He wanted to go back and have her dance again and feel what he was feeling when he watched her.  The girls came out but none of them danced liked her and he found himself drinking more out of boredom. 

 

Then reality set in, the reality of Sarah and their engagement, and the reality of whom she was and who he was set in.  Picking up his smokes he downed the last of his Jack and got up from his seat.  Wobbling a bit he put his hand down on the table and stabilized himself.  Taking a deep breath and shaking the cobwebs from his mind, he double checked for his keys and then made his way out of the building.

 

Carefully he made his way to his car.  He didn’t even think twice about driving, he had driven home worse than this, and he just wanted to get away from this place.  Fumbling with his keys he tried to unlock his car door and then he looked more closely at the car.  Quickly he looked up and saw his car sitting two stalls over.  Laughing to himself he walked around the car towards his.

 

“AJ?” He heard someone say from across the parking lot.

 

“Fucking beautiful” He sighed at the thought of someone seeing him here like this but when he looked up he was surprised to see Eve jogging over to him.

 

“Hey” He said with a dorky ‘I’m pretending not to be into you’ smile.

 

“Are you leaving?” She asked as she approached him. Her clothes very casual just jeans, a T-shirt and runners much like the other day.  But as he looked under the black ball cap he saw that she still wore the make-up.

 

“Yep” AJ nodded as he flipped through his keys.  “Already saw the best part of the show.” He smirked as he looked up at her.

 

“I don’t think you should be driving.” She said and he saw concern on her face.

 

“Naw, I’m good, driven home worse than this.” He replied as he poked at the key hole with the wrong key.

 

“You can’t even unlock your door.” She sighed as she pointed at the trouble he was having.

 

“No” AJ shook his head a little frustrated.  “I just can’t find the damn key.”

 

“Let me drive you home.” She said and he almost jumped when her hand gently touched his shoulder.

 

“I said I’m good.” AJ snapped and as fast as the words came out he regretted them.  “I’m sorry.” He apologized quickly.  “It’s been.” He took a deep breath.  “Been a long few days.”

 

“It’s ok; just let me drive you home.” She told him with a light smile.

 

“Man, you got a beautiful smile.” He said as he leaned against his car and then he kicked himself for letting his buzz get to him so much.  “I…I mean sure thanks.”

 

            “My cars over there.” She pointed to the corner of the lot.

 

“Cool” AJ said still swearing at himself in his head.

 

They walked along the cars not really saying much, he didn’t know why she was quiet but with him he had so many thoughts in his head, his brain was to busy trying to settle them.  He just wanted to get home before he did something really stupid to piss Eve off but he also had thought about how he wanted to take forever getting there. 

 

“Oh hey, ah thanks for the drinks tonight.” AJ said as he remembered the waitress telling him they were on Eve.  “Hope I didn’t run you up too high.” He joked as he got into the passengers seat.

 

“No and you’re welcome” She replied with a light smile.  “No Mats tonight?” she asked as they pulled out.

 

“Naw he wasn’t home.” AJ shrugged.  “Plus I just wanted to go for a drive and get my head clear.

 

“So how did you end up at that place?” Eve said nodding back towards the club even though they were far away from the place.

 

“I’m not really sure, just ended up there.” AJ said with a light shrug.

 

“You don’t seem the type that hangs out at a strip joint.” She told him as she turned onto his street.

 

“You don’t seem like someone who would dance there.” He replied.  AJ thought it was an innocent question but when he saw the look in her eyes he wasn’t sure.

 

“Well, you gotta do what you gotta do.” Eve shrugged.  “Just pull up again?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded as they pulled up to his house and he looked at her.  This time there was no worry about Sarah coming out and freaking.  He wanted to ask her in, wanted to talk to her more.   “They won’t tow my car will they?” He asked as the car stopped in front of his house.

 

“No” Eve lightly laughed.  “Just Mats.” She joked and it made him laugh and it was the first time he laughed all day.

 

“Well thanks for the lift, again.” AJ smiled.

 

“No problem.” She answered back.  He paused for a moment, the question sitting on the edge of his tongue and he didn’t realize he was staring.  “Everything ok?” She asked breaking him from his thought.

 

“Ah, yeah.” He replied quickly.  “I was just wondering.”

 

“Wondering?” She said confused.

 

“Would you like to come in?” He spurted out and then waited for his answer.  She smiled and when she did he knew the answer, he had seen it millions of times before especially when he was a teen, pre Backstreet but even now he would still get ‘the smile’ as girls still found him a little weird.  “Right, Mats said not too, sorry I didn’t mean anything by it.” He spoke nervously, awkwardly. Quickly, not wanting to make an ass out of himself anymore he got out of her car. “Thanks for the ride.” He said flashing a quick smile as he closed the door.  Not wanting to look back he jammed his hand into his pocket and pulled out his keys.  As he unlocked his front door he heard her car pull away and he stopped, his hand not letting go of the key in the lock. 

 

His forehead fell forward and it thumped against the wood.  He lifted it up and did it again.  “Dumbass” he scolded himself as he thought about what had just happened.  Opening his door he walked into his house.  “And what the fuck were you going to do when you invited her in?” He asked out loud to himself as the door closed behind him.  “Now you look like a fucking creep.” Pausing as frustration came into play.  “And why the fuck do you even care, you’re with Sarah.”  AJ walked up stairs and into his room, not bothering to undress or anything he fell onto the bed and closed his eyes, wanting nothing more than this night to end and it did as soon as his head hit the pillow.

 

Chapter 3 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Three

 

 

 

The sun sat at three o’clock and his glasses did nothing to block it.  His eyes were closed and he listened to the water splashing onto the shore not to far away.  The plastic chair he was sitting in was not making a good bed, and it kept him from falling asleep right there on Howie’s patio.  It was a Backstreet day and everyone was at D’s for a little relax time.  AJ had even told Sarah to come, keeping up appearances more than anything; although a lot of good it did, since she spent the whole day bickering with him.  The only thing that kept him sane was his Jack and the thought of meeting up with Mats later in hopes they’d go to Messieurs.

 

“I want to go home.” Sarah said as he caught the feeling of someone standing over him.

 

            “Then go home.” AJ said turning his head a little towards her.

 

            “I mean back to our house so we can talk.” She told him.

 

            “I’m going out tonight.” He replied.

 

            “But I want to talk; I think we need to talk.” She said and he heard her anger coming again.

 

“You had all day to talk and you chose to bitch instead, I’m here till after dinner than I’m going out.” He told her again.  Sarah huffed and grunted as she stood up and flew into the house.  A moment later he felt someone standing over him again and he opened one eye to see who it was.

 

“Everything ok?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied closing it again.

 

“Didn’t look like it.” His band mate said as he sat down in the chair across from him.

“I already made plans for later tonight, they don’t fit hers and she’s throwing a fit.” AJ said shrugging it off.  “She’s been bitching at me all day.”

 

“I heard she’s staying with a friend.”

 

“Yeah wants us to cool down, looks like she’s not done cooling down so she can fucking stay there a few more days.” AJ replied showing frustration to the conversation. “Glad we came in separate cars.” He smirked.

 

“How much have you had to drink?” Kevin asked.

 

“Oh for the love of…” AJ growled as he stood up.  “I’m going home to get ready for tonight.”

 

“What about dinner?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’ll grab some on the way home.” AJ said as he headed into the house.

 

He was a little surprised he didn’t get any opposition on the way out but he was also glad, not wanting to fight with them too.  AJ climbed into his car and pulled out of Howie’s driveway.  Stopping at the McDonalds closest to his house he grabbed something to eat and then proceeded home.

 

Sitting in the living room he unpacked his food and began to dine on his meal.  A ringing made him put down his burger and he reached into his pocket, trying not to get any grease on his phone. 

 

“Hello?” He answered his mouth still a little full.

 

“Hey man just making sure we’re still on for tonight.” Mats said on the other end.

 

“Yeah man, I’m just having some dinner and then getting ready.” AJ told him.  “Where are we going?” He asked hoping Mats would say the club.

 

“Well I know where you wanna go.” Mats said jokingly.

 

“Huh?” AJ said playing stupid.

 

“I heard you were at the club the other night all by yourself.” Mats teased.

 

“Who told you I was there?” AJ asked but he knew.

 

“Eve.” Mats laughed.  “She said she got ya drunk and took you home.”

 

“What? No.” AJ said defensively.  “Oh wait I guess she kind of did.” He said as he remembered she bought his drinks that night.

 

“Yeah well I hate you, a year I’ve been trying to get her and sweet fuck all but you Mr. Backstreet Boy walks in and she’s buying you drinks.” Mats scoffed.

 

“Hey dude when you got it, you got it.” AJ joked.

 

“She laughed until I asked her if Sarah was home.” Mats said into the phone and AJ’s heart stopped.

 

“You what?” He replied his tone stone cold but his blood pressure was boiling.  A silence was heard at the other end and then a holler of laughter. 

 

“Damn dude, I hope you have a few lines with ya, sounds like you need it.” Mats laughed into the phone.

 

“Fuck you douche bag, where do I meet you?” AJ sighed into the phone, a little annoyed with the joke but a little relieved he didn’t really ask her that.

 

“At the club at six, we’re gonna have fun tonight man, no worries.” Mats told him.

 

“Sure.” AJ replied.  “I’ll see ya then.”

 

He hung up the phone and sat it on the cushion beside him.  Staring at it he thought about Eve, the dreams he had been having about her, how he woke up from them alone and well, AJ wasn’t shy about the self pleasure subject. Even during the day she still filled his thoughts and he couldn’t figure out why.  There was really nothing special too her, sure she was pretty, beautiful to him even but nothing that really stood out.  Well except for her dancing but even then why her? What was so special about her? What was it about her that made him want to have her dance for just him?  Why did he want to feel her lips against his, and why did he want her so much he was willing to lose Sarah over a chance to find out.

 

“I want know.” He said as he sat back.  “I want to know.” He said again confirming in his mind what he needed to do.

 

After he had finished eating, he showered, groomed and got dressed for the evening.  He tidy up the place just in case they came back to his house.  After the other night he felt it was more wishful thinking than anything.  He wondered if she had said anything to Mats about the invite that night.  When he walked down the stairs he looked at the clock in the hallway and it read fifteen minutes to six.  Double checking his phone and keys he walked out the door and locked it behind him.  He made his way to his car and pulled out of the driveway, making sure the gate was closed this time.

 

When he got to Messieurs he noticed the parking lot was pretty full but found a decent spot close to the building.  He hoped this time when he came out he would remember the right car.  When he walked up to the front door he noticed a sign on the window.

 

“Amateurs Night” He read in his head.  A little confused he walked into the club and looked around for Mats.  As he looked over the sea of people he saw his friend sitting at a booth and then he saw the two girls sitting beside him.  One was a dancer he recognized from waiting for Eve to come out, the other girl was Eve.  Still unsure what was going on he made his way over to the booth, and took a deep breath before he approached them.

 

“There he is.” Mats said with a smile as the table looked up at him.  “Have a seat man.” He said motioning for his friend to sit down.  “AJ this is Candice, Candice this is AJ.”

 

“Hi AJ nice to meet you.” The woman said with a smile.

 

“And you know Eve.” Mats said with a smirk.

 

“Hi” AJ said acknowledging her for the first time since his little break down in the car.

            “Hi.” She replied with a warm smile.  It made him relax a little.

 

“AJ want a Jack?” Mats asked.

 

“Love one.” AJ nodded as his friend got up.  He watched as Mats got up with Candice in tow and headed to the bar.

 

“So how ya been?” Eve asked.

 

“Good, busy but good.” He replied with a light nod. Eve nodded with a small smile.  AJ scrambled to think of something to say.  “What’s going on tonight seems really busy.”

 

“Amateur Night, Girls can win five hundred bucks, always a packed night.” Eve told him.

 

“Oh so you’re not dancing tonight?” AJ asked.

 

“Nope it’s my night off.” She said as she lifted her glass.

 

“Sweet.” AJ smiled and she laughed.  “I wanted to apologize again for the other night, too much to drink, way too much.”

 

“It’s ok.” Eve said as she put her glass down.

 

“It was rude of me and…” Eve interrupted him.

 

“And you didn’t let me answer.” She said and his face fell stunned.

 

“Ok one Jack.” Mats said as an arm came down in front of AJ.  He looked at the glass still trying to figure out if he heard her right.  “Drink up before the uglies come out.”

           

“Mats.” Candice sighed as she lightly slapped him.  As AJ laughed he looked over at Eve who was laughing too.  He wasn’t sure if it was the Jack or something else but the feeling of wanting her was becoming a little to much to bear.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by VeeLynn
Title

                                            An Illicit Gentleman

                               Chapter Four

 

 

 

 As the night went on, the glasses filled the table and AJ noticed him and Eve had moved closer together on the bench.  She began touching his leg as she laughed at his jokes, sometimes she would lightly rub his thigh, and it would send a small shiver up his spine. He even got the nerve to let his hand slide across her thigh just below bottom of her skirt.

 

“Oh god I think I need another drink for this one.” Mats moaned as he stood up.  “Refill anyone?” He asked as the others laughed at his comment about the girl on stage.

 

“I could use one.” AJ said with a nod looking at the last little bit in the bottom of his glass.

 

“Me too.” Eve told Mats as AJ looked away from the woman trying to dance.  “I need a pick me up, come with me?”

 

“Huh?” AJ said looking at her a little confused.

 

“I need a pick me up come with me.” She told him as she held her hand down under the table.  AJ looked down and saw the small baggy in her hand.

 

“You?” AJ said but didn’t mean to sound so shocked.  “Yeah, yeah sure, where though? He asked looking around. 

 

“We can go into one of the private booths.” She said as they slid off the bench.

 

“Hey where you two going?” Mats asked as they came back with the glasses.

 

“We’ll be back.” Eve said as she took AJ by the hand and led him away from the booth.  He made sure he didn’t let go of her hand and even took the time to notice how soft her skin was.  They slithered through the crowd of people and walked up to a metal door. Eve nodded to one of the bouncers who smiled and nodded back at her.  She opened the door and lightly pulled him into the booth.

 

“They let you do this here?” AJ asked as she motioned for him to sit down on the bench.

 

“Ted doesn’t care what his girls do in his bar; he’d rather have us here doing it then somewhere where his guys can’t keep an eye on us.” Eve said with a shrug as she knelt in front of the bench.  She pulled a metal case from her purse and set it down on the seat.  AJ watched her separate the coke into six lines and then watched her place a small tube to her nose and inhaled quickly.  As she sat back against the bench and handed the tube to AJ.  He took it and leaned down inhaling the white powder through the tube and into his nose.

 

“Better?” She asked as he relaxed a lot.

 

“Much.” He said with a smile.  She leaned down and took another hit.  AJ went in for another one as Eve wiped her nose and sniffed a little.  They both finished the last lines and AJ caught himself staring at her as she put the case back into her purse.

 

“So what would have your answer been?” He asked and she looked up at him.  “If I wouldn’t have been an idiot and actually let you answer.” He said with a small smile.

 

“I would have said yes.” She replied.

 

“Really?” AJ said not being able to hide the stun in his voice.

 

“Yes, you seem shocked?”

 

“A little, I mean, it’s just Mats said you don’t go home with the guys that show up here.” AJ told her, his brain not being able to stop his words.  “Like all you do is dance.” He looked down at her hands as they slowly slid up his thighs and she leaned closer to him.

 

“Something tells me you’re not like these guys, just like I’m not like other dancers.” She said in a whisper and then she pressed her lips to his.  As their lips partially opened, their tongues slowly peaked out, and gently brushed against each other.  But to his own shock he stopped them and carefully pulled her away. She looked back at him, her eyes confused.

 

“I…I can’t do this.” AJ said as they looked at each other.  “I want to, god I want to.” He said almost kissing her again.  “But I can’t.  I can’t because I’m engaged.” Finally he said it out loud.

 

“You’re engaged?” Eve asked and AJ nodded.

 

“We’re having a lot of problems, we’re always fighting, and she’s not even living with me right now but that doesn’t give me the right to…”  He stopped and looked at Eve.  Her face was solemn and he felt his heart sink.  “I’m sorry I should have never led you on like I did but things between Sarah and I have been a wreck and then I met you, you made me…”

 

“I made you feel special and different and blah blah heard it all before from every guy that walks into this club.” Eve said as she stood up.

 

“No Eve wait that’s not what I meant.” AJ said lightly grabbing her shoulder. “Damn it I didn’t want this to happen.”

 

“Then what do you want AJ?” Eve asked angrily.  AJ grunted and headed for the door but before he turned the handle he stopped.

 

“I want to know why I can’t stop thinking about you, why you have me doubting a relationship I’ve had for 3 years, when trust me others have tired and failed.” His frustration with the situation, his sexual frustration mixed with the Jack and drugs, and AJ hit his breaking point.  “I want you, right here, right now, and I don’t really care what happens because of it!”  He shouted and then wondered if anyone outside the door heard him.

 

He looked at her waiting for her turn to yell, for her too tell him how he made her feel leading her on the way he did.  But it didn’t happen; instead she pulled his hand off the door knob and stood in front of him. They stared at each other for a minute and then began to kiss again.  When he felt the zipper to his pants fall he enticed her skirt to her hips and pulled down her panties.  In one motion he lifted her up, pressed her back against the wall. Their kisses were as lustful as the movements their bodies made against each other.  They tried to muffle their moans and cries with their lips but even the ones that escaped were not heard over the loud music and yelling outside the door. 

 

AJ felt himself go weak for a brief second as his lips fell against hers.  Her face covered in sweat, her make up slightly smudge and breathing heavy, she stared at him as he pulled his lips from hers.  Their eyes didn’t break from each other as AJ gently set her down and put her skirt back into place.  Kissing one more time they let this one last as long as it could, not knowing when or if they would ever have a chance again.  He pulled away and lightly smiled as he fixed her hair.  Stepping back he zipped up as Eve picked up her purse and underwear, tossing them into her small bag.

 

“Hope we look presentable.” AJ said as she reached for the door, he lightly laughed when she did.

 

“I hate you.” Mats said as Eve and AJ sat down.  Eve looked at the two confused but AJ just smiled and picked up his Jack.

 

The foursome sat and talked as the winners were announced and by the time everyone was heading home everyone at the table were three sheets to the wind.  AJ got up and helped Eve stand up, she stumbled and he caught her as they both busted out laughing.  He wrapped his arm around her waist and helped her walk out of the club as Mats called the cabs.  They stopped outside letting the cool breeze wake them up a little and AJ pulled a smoke from his pack.

 

“So, this fiancée of yours does she live with you?” Eve asked as AJ took a drag.

 

“Yeah but right now she’s staying with friends, wants us to cool off.” He told her as he rolled his eyes.  “I’d invite you back but knowing her and my luck she’d show up.” He said as he stumbled a little.

 

“How about my place?” She asked.

 

“Don’t see her showing up there, she doesn’t know where you live.” AJ said looking at her confused.  “Oh, I see what you’re saying.” He quickly said and smiled at her.  She started to laugh and it made him feel good.  “You want to go back to your place?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” She said with a soft smile and nod.  “I mean if you don’t want to that’s cool too.” 

 

AJ smiled as his hand slid around her back.  “Your place sounds good.”

 

“So who’s sharing what cab?” Mats asked as he walked up behind them.

 

“We’re going together.” AJ said pointing at him and Eve.

 

“Yeah I thought so.” Mats sulked jokingly as he walked past him.  “Call me tomorrow.” He said spinning around and looking right at AJ.

 

“Sure dude.” AJ said nodding.

 

It didn’t take long for the cabs to arrive as most cabbies sat in the area knowing the place would be getting out at this time.  They both piled in and Eve told the man the address to go too.  When the cab pulled out of the parking lot AJ looked over at her as she sat beside him.  She was looking out the window, her neck creeping out behind her hair.  His thoughts went back to the private room and how his lips felt against it. 

 

“Is Jack the only thing you drink?” Eve asked and his eyes broke from her neck.

 

“No” He replied shaking his head.

 

“Ok, cause I’m not sure if I have any left.” She told him.

 

“Beside, I think I’ve had my fill of drinking tonight.” He said as he looked at her, she caught the look in his eyes and it made her blush. 

 

When the cab pulled out AJ insisted on paying for it and after a quick fight, won.  AJ turned around as the cab pulled away and saw her waiting for him at the door to a large apartment complex.  He followed inside and onto the elevators.

 

“I’m sure it’s nothing like your place, from what I saw anyways.” Eve told him and he caught a little bit of embarrassment in her voice.

 

“It’s cool.” AJ told her with a smile.  “It’s a roof.”  She smiled as the elevator doors opened and he followed her out.

 

“This way” She told him pointing down the hallway to his right.  They walked down to about the middle of the hall and she stopped in front of a hunter green door.  He waited as she pulled out her keys and unlocked her door and he walked in as the lights flicked on.

 

The place was a lot better than he thought, clean, sleek, and the furniture looked nice too.  He took off his shoes and walked into the living room.  A small cheer from the kitchen made him turn around.

 

“I have some.” She said holding up a bottle of Jack.  “Night cap?”

 

“Yes” He smiled as she popped back behind the wall.

 

Sitting down on the couch he looked around at the room.  He noticed there were no pictures on the wall, well there were artsy pictures but no family pictures or pictures of friends. He looked at the shelves in the TV cabinet and noticed there were none there either. When he felt someone sit down next to him he looked over as Eve handed him a glass.

 

“Thanks.” He said as he took it and brought it too his lips.  “Hey I still have some, did you wanna do a couple of lines?” He asked and then drank half the glass right there.

 

“Yeah sure.” She agreed as she sat her glass down.  She got up and walked over to a cabinet as he pulled the small baggy from his wallet.  As he opened the bag she placed a small carrying table in front of him with everything he needed.  AJ cut it all up and they began to share the white powder.

 

Sitting back on the couch AJ relaxed as he sniffed up his last hit.  A strong buzz was coming back too him and he lightly smiled as his body calmed.  Not even the feeling of her hand drifting up his chest made him open his eyes and he kept them closed as her lips brushed along his neck.

 

“Are you sure you’re ok with this.” He asked finally opening his eyes and looking at her.

 

“Yes.” She nodded as she stared back at him.  “If I wasn’t I wouldn’t have stopped you from opening the door and leaving the booth and I sure as hell wouldn’t have brought you back here.”

 

AJ smiled as he leaned up and kissed her pulling her against him as he laid back against the couch again.  It wasn’t long before she asked him to take her to the bedroom and AJ picked her up and carried her there. 

 

The two people didn’t stop until early into the morning.  AJ was still awake as Eve sleeping soundly on his chest, her arm draped over his waist.  Carefully he reached for his watch on the night stand.

 

“Four am? Damn.” AJ sighed as he laid back against the pillow.  His eyes drifted down to the sleeping woman on him, his fingers lightly sliding through her hair as he thought about the night he spent with her.  He hated the thought of waking her but he wasn’t going to just leave on her, it was bad enough she had to share him.

 

“Eve?” He said as he brushed her hair from her face.  She mumbled a little and it made him smile.  “Eve.” He said again a little louder and this time he gently rocked her.

 

“Yeah?” She moaned as she slowly sat up.

 

“I need to go now.” He said the sadness in his eyes but he tried to hide it.

 

“Ok.” She nodded and it seemed to wake her up a little.  AJ climbed out of bed and walked around the room picking up his clothes and putting them on.  His shirt was un-tucked and he hadn’t done up his belt yet as he sat down beside her on the bed.  He put his socks on and then faced her. She looked at him her eyes half open as she held her blanket around her chest.  Leaning in he kissed her gently on the lips as he brushed her bangs from her face.

 

“I wish I could stay.” He whispered as their lips parted.

 

“It’s ok; you know where you can find me.” She said with a light smile.  Smiling back at her he kissed her one last time and then said goodbye.

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Five

 

AJ slowly rolled over hoping to smell her vanilla peach scented hair but all he got was a face full of pillow.  He opened his eyes and lifted his head; a moan escaped his lips as he realized he was at home.  Slowly he got up from his bed, threw his robe over him and headed downstairs.  When he reached the bottom he heard someone in the kitchen and he stopped in the hallway listening.  He looked at the clock in the hallway and saw the time was just after one in the afternoon.  Taking a cab from Eve’s to his car and then driving home from the club, he didn’t get home till after five.

 

“Hello?” He yelled out as he made his way into the room.

 

“Hi” Sarah said as she sat at the kitchen island.  “Where the hell were you? I was here until one in the morning.” She snapped at him.

 

“I was out.” AJ said staring at her.  “With Mats, like I had planned, didn’t know I needed to report in.”

 

“You know were falling apart here and all you can do is go drinking and god knows what else with Mats.” Sarah yelled.

 

“It’s not my fault we’re like this, you’re the one who bitches over everything, and you’re the one who went to a friend’s house to cool off.” He yelled back his fingers waved in the air quoting his words. 

 

“You were with someone weren’t you; you went out with Mats got drunk and went home with some skank, maybe one of Mats stripper whores?”

 

“What?” AJ said looking at her, wondering if she heard something.  “You’re fucking losing it woman.” AJ laughed as he shook his head.  “I’m going to have a shower, chill the fuck out or leave I don’t care.  I’m tired of this shit, I had a good night last night and now you come in here fucking bitching at me for no reason.” He mumbled to himself as he headed up the stairs.

 

As he stood in the shower the thought of going back down into his own kitchen made him want to crawl back into bed.  Every time he was up she had to drag him back down but what could he do, it’s not like he didn’t do it to her before.  He moaned not knowing what to do and the thought of ending it all and waking up to Eve every morning pecked away at him, like he was getting pecked to death by a duck.  Taking a deep breath he let the water fall a little more before turning off the taps. 

 

“Raise or fold Mclean?” He thought to himself as he looked back at his image in the mirror.

 

When he came down she was sitting in the kitchen.  “I’m ending it.”

 

“What?” Sarah said looking at him shocked.

 

“I’m ending it.  I’m tired of this bullshit, of your bullshit, like I didn’t put up with it enough because of you from my Mom, from the fella’s and now the only time you talk to me is when you bitch at me. What kind of fucking relationship is that Sarah?”

 

“Well I thought we could use this time to get our thoughts straight and cool off.” She said her voice still showing how stunned she was.

 

“Well I did get my thoughts straight and I can’t live like this anymore, why kid ourselves we do it all the time.  I get bitchy with you, you get bitchy with me it’s been this way for years, I want to be happy Sarah and enjoy my life.”

 

“Well if you’re so fucking happy why are you still pumping your nose full of that shit?!” She yelled at him.  “Why you still drinking Jack like its fucking soda pop? Yeah Alex you’re real fucking happy.”  And with that she stormed out of the room and out of the house.

 

 “Fucking bitch!” AJ shouted as he slammed his fist into the wall and it crumbled around his hand.  He gasped in pain as he pulled his hand from the wall; small pieces of drywall falling from the hole.  “Dumbass” He moaned as he walked over to the sink.  Running the water he placed his hand under the tap and winced as the water hit the cuts on his knuckles. Wrapping his hand in a towel he turned around and looked at the damage he had done. 

 

He pulled the towel off his hand slowly and looked at it.  His fingers and knuckles swelling a little, he tried to wiggle his fingers but the pain wasn’t worth it.  “Fuck I hope it’s not broken.”  His eyes drifted to the phone and he found himself wanting to call her but he forgot to get her number again, maybe Mats had it. 

 

Sarah’s last words played in his head and he rolled his eyes.  “Eve doesn’t care what I do.” He said to himself looking at his hand again.  Picking up his cell phone he decided to do the rounds and let people know it was over, they’d give him his time alone to move on, and he’d use the time to get to know Eve.

 

When he had gone through his cell phone list he put it back down and took a deep breath.  It amazed him how an innocent night out sent his life into a tailspin and now here he was ending his engagement to a woman he had been with for years.  A woman many of his family and friends tried to get him to stop seeing a while ago.

 

Walking into the living room he lied down on the couch and closed his eyes.  The fight with Sarah all be it short was draining and he let his mind drift to Eve.  This time his imagination was larger with his memory of the night before and it played tricks on him as he slept.

 

A ringing broke him from his sleep and he sluggishly grabbed his cell phone.  “Hello?” He mumbled into the phone.

 

“You didn’t call me.” Mats said on the other end.

 

“Oh, dude sorry had a long day.” AJ said as he started to stretch.

 

“Long day or long night?” Mats asked sarcastically.

 

“Both but the night was better than the day.” He sighed as spun his wallet on the table.  “I broke up with Sarah today.”

 

“Seriously?” Mats said stunned.  “Eve have anything to do with it?”

 

“No, I mean like maybe five percent of it but I just couldn’t take the bitching anymore.”  AJ said.

 

“She was a downer.” Mats agreed.

 

“Are you going to the club tonight?” AJ asked rolling his eyes.

 

“After work yeah.” Mats told him.

 

“Alright then I’ll talk to you then.” AJ said into the phone.

 

“Later man.” Mats said and then AJ flipped his phone closed.  He looked at his watch and decided to go out to eat before heading to the club. 

 

When he got to Messieurs his hand was feeling better but the bruising, cuts and small swelling around the fingers made it look worse than it felt. Lighting a smoke he stopped at the stairs inside and looked around for a place too sit.  The table he sat at the last time he came here by himself was opened so he decided to sit there.  He put his pack of smokes on the table and sat down.  The waitress was right there to take his order.

 

Even knowing Eve was dancing tonight wasn’t enough to bring him out of his solemn mood.  He knew it was something he had to do but it still didn’t make him feel good doing it.  As he looked his hand over he touched a cut on his knuckle and winced in pain. 

 

“Damn, I got it good.” He mumbled to himself with a sigh.

 

Then her music began to play and he looked up at the spot where she and the chair would appear.  On cue the lights on the stage came on and there she was dancing.  The pain in his hand lessened, maybe it was because all of his blood was rushing some where else at the moment.  His thoughts cleared from his head and he no longer gave the break up another thought for the entire three minutes she danced.

 

AJ watched her walk off stage when her routine ended and then he looked at his pack of smokes.  Pulling one out he brought it too his lips and lit it, inhaling deeply he relaxed in the chair. He took his glass of Jack in his fingers and lightly spun it around, watching what little alcohol that was left in it swirl around. 

 

Someone sitting beside him took his attention and he looked up seeing Eve on the chair beside him.  He realized he must have drifted off because she was wearing a T-shirt, jeans and a Bucs ball cap but he could still see her make up under the cap.  It usually meant she was done for the night.

 

“Everything ok?” She asked looking at him.  “I saw you earlier and you looked like you were far away, after my set I find you staring at your glass.”  He was about to tell her when she grabbed his hand.  “What the hell happened?” She asked looking at him with concern.

 

“Long day” He said looking at her.  “Are you done here?”

 

“Yeah” She nodded.  “Let’s go.”

 

They both stood up and left the club, agreeing to take their own cars, AJ following Eve to her place.  He parked on the street and got out of the car, flipping his alarm on.  He figured he’d be here over night, so he better have it on.  When he got to the front doors Eve was walking up inside the building to let him in.

 

“Did you want a drink?” She asked as they walked into her place.

 

“Yes please.” He replied as he took his jacket and shoes off.  He walked over to the couch and sat in the same spot he sat in yesterday.

 

“So what’s going on?” Eve asked as she handed him his drink and she sat down beside him.  Her back was against the arm, her one leg folded against her, her other leg hanging over the side, her foot resting on the floor.  He stared at her as she took a sip of the drink she poured for herself.

 

“When I got home from here I went and crashed, when I woke up Sarah was sitting in the kitchen.” He took a sip of his drink.  “She immediately started bitching at me.  I mean literally I walked in the kitchen and she went off about how she was waiting for me till one in the morning.”

 

“Oh.” Eve said quietly knowing the reason he wasn’t there was because he was with her.

“I told her I was going out; I didn’t ask her to wait around for me.” He said taking her hand.

 

“Why was she waiting for you?” She asked.

 

“She wanted to talk but that’s just like her, wait till I have something planned or going on and then make a big deal about me not being there for her, when she damn well knew I couldn’t be.”  He told her.  “I was tired of it, all of it.  I went for a shower and I realized that last night was the first night in years I felt wanted making love to someone.  I knew you were there with me feeling what I was feeling and I deserve that, I want that so I let go.”

 

            AJ put down his glass and then took hers, placing it on the table.  He grabbed her legs and slid her down towards him.  “I don’t know where this or we are going but right now I don’t want to lose it.” And then he leaned in and kissed her.  There was no guilt in this kiss and no regret when he pulled away.

 

“Still doesn’t explain what happened to your hand.” She said as she gently took his fingers in her hand and looked at his knuckles.

 

“She said some things I don’t wanna repeat, basically pushed my buttons and I put my fist through my kitchen wall after she left.” AJ said and she looked up at him with a frown.  “Looks worse than it feels, I swear I’m fine.” He smiled.  “I mean, I think my hand is broken and I need a nurse to take care of me.”

 

“I see.” She smirked as she gently kissed the back of his hand.

 

“Yup and I’m due for my sponge bath.” He smiled and he thought she was going to laugh but she didn’t.

 

“Well then you better come with me Mr. Mclean.” Eve said as she stood up.  He got up and followed her down the hall.  He lightly laughed as she walked him into her bathroom and closed the door behind them.

 

Chapter 6 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Six

 

            The sun laid over his eyes and no matter how much he tried to fight it, it eventually won and caused his eyes to open.  Turning his head away from the window he saw her sleeping beside him her head on her pillow, the pillow his arm was under.  Carefully he shifted his arm but he didn’t pull his arm out, instead he pulled her closer to him.  His hand slid over her hip and he lightly bunched some of the sheet in his hand.  His eyes drifted down to her neck as he let go of the sheet in his fingers and reached up brushing her hair from the rest of her neck.  Letting his fingers trickle down her bare back, AJ leaned closer to her and softly brushed his lips along her neck. 

 

            Her hand touched his chest and he knew she was waking up.  Slowly he rolled her onto her back, letting his lips follow along and switched to her other side.   When her head rolled back he moved his kisses to the middle of her neck, starting on the small dip at the bottom and moving up under her chin, he kissed her chin at her jaw line and then met her lips. 

 

            “Morning.” She whispered as his eyes locked on hers.

 

“Morning.” He whispered back as he leaned in and began kissing her again.

 

Lifting himself on top of her his lips not breaking away, AJ laid against her and pulled her leg around the back of his waist.  Eve softly moaned as his body rocked against hers and he let her lips go as her back arched.  Reaching behind her Eve grabbed her pillow; AJ slid his hand up her arm and took her hand in his.  She wrapped her fingers around his as he held her arm above her head. 

 

He didn’t let go of her hand until his sweaty body collapsed next to hers both of them breathing heavily.  Turning on his side he pulled the blankets up and wrapped her back in his arms.  He lightly kissed her forehead as her fingers softly ran down his chest. 

 

The sound of his cell phone ringing broke them from their moment and she sat up as he leaned over the edge of the bed to get his phone.  He looked at the name on the display and his face fell in puzzlement as he saw Kevin’s name.

 

“Hello?” He said answering.

 

“Where the hell are you?” Kevin said angrily into the phone.

 

“Um, why do you care?” AJ asked.

 

“Because you were suppose to be at a meeting with us about finalizing the set list.” Kevin snapped back and AJ slapped his forehead.

 

“Fuck dude I’m sorry I completely forgot.” AJ said with a sigh.

 

“Well considering what happen yesterday with Sarah I’m letting it slide but get here now.” His band mate said sternly.

 

“I’m out the door.” AJ said before saying goodbye and hitting end on his phone.

 

“You have to go?” Eve asked standing at the door in her robe.

 

“Yeah I have a meeting for the tour set list, I completely forgot.” AJ said dressing as fast as he could.  As he buttoned up his shirt Eve sat down on her bed and picked up his phone.  He watched as she typed something into his it.  “What are you doing?” He asked as he sat down putting his socks on.

 

“Giving you my numbers,” She said as she handed him the phone.  “I like to relax on my days off, so I’ll be home.”

 

“Ok.” He said as he smiled at her and took his phone. 

 

They kissed one last time at the door and he told her he would call as soon as he was done.  They said goodbye and AJ waited until her door was closed before leaving.  He knew he didn’t have time to go home and change so he tried to clean himself up on the way there.

 

“About damn time.” Kevin said as he opened the office door.

 

“I totally forgot.” AJ said as he walked over to an empty chair.

 

“Nice of you to dress up.” Nick said looking at him and his clothes.

 

“You were out all night drinking again weren’t you?” Brian asked.

 

“No I wasn’t.” AJ said staring at him.  “I spent the night with a friend, smell my damn clothes if want too.”

 

“Friend?” Nick asked.  “Did you sleep on the top bunk or bottom bunk?”

 

“Fuck you.” AJ shot at him.

 

“Dude, seriously you just broke up with Sarah, like yesterday.” Howie said from across the table.

 

“It was over way before yesterday D and you can’t deny that.” AJ replied looking at him.

 

“Still man, even I know there is such a thing as etiquette.” Nick scoffed.

 

“You fucking hate Sarah, what are you talking about.”  AJ said looking at him.

 

            “You’re right I don’t, I’ve just been hearing these two bitch all morning.” Nick sighed as he pointed to Kevin and Brian.

 

“So you were with someone.” Kevin said looking at him

 

“Fine, ok, Yes I was and I was enjoying myself but you called me here to talk about the set list so lets do that or I’m going back to my friends house.” AJ said wanting the banter to end.  Nick snickered as the others rolled their eyes.

 

Through the whole meeting he could tell Kevin was staring at him.  Wanting to know who this friend was and why was he with her so soon after breaking up with Sarah.  Brian and Kevin were bickering over where to put The Perfect Fan on the list and AJ found himself looking for his cell phone.  Pulling it from the buckle he went to the text messaging symbol.

 

“I’m almost done here, wanna grab something to eat?” He typed out with his keypad and then hit send.  Looking up he tuned in the conversation again, still nothing interesting and he pretended to pay attention until his cell vibrated.  Sneaking a look down, he read the reply.

 

“Sure, r u picking me up?” She asked.

 

“Yes Ma’am” He typed back and sent it away.

 

“Earth to Alex.” Kevin said as AJ felt a nudge from Nick.

 

“What?” AJ asked looking at him.

 

“I said we’re almost done here do you wanna get something to eat?” Kevin said.

 

“Naw I’m good.” AJ said shaking his head looking back down at his phone.  “Oh, so are we done here?” He asked as he realized what Kevin said.

 

“Almost” Kevin quickly said.  AJ rolled his eyes as his phone vibrated again.

 

“Attachment?” AJ said to himself as he looked at the text.  He clicked on the link and a picture popped up on the screen.  His eyes almost shot out of his head as he quickly looked up and turned the display of his phone down.  Looking around he checked out the guys seeing if anyone noticed his reaction.  No one seemed to as they were busy talking about where to go eat.  The shock starting to wear off he tilted his cell a little bit and peeked at the picture that was sent to him.  Raising an eyebrow he saw that it wasn’t that bad of a shot of her as she laid across her bed naked.

 

“We’re done.” Someone said and he turned his phone over again.

 

“Cool.” He said clearing his throat standing up. When he knew no one was looking he saved the picture and then put his phone away.

 

“So this new chick is she hot?” Nick asked as AJ looked at him. 

 

“Yeah when are we going to meet her?” Howie asked.

 

“Meet her?” AJ asked.  “I don’t even know her last name yet.”

 

“And yet he sleeps with her.” Brian sniped up.

 

“Yeah cause you totally need a last name to do that.” AJ shot back.  Nick snickered and then was smacked from Kevin.

 

“Damn it, I’m not sixteen anymore.” Nick whined.

 

“So…” Howie said still waiting for a reply.

 

“I don’t fucking know.” AJ whined back.  “I just met her this week, I had the fight with Sarah and it was nice just being with someone last night, alright Starr, Marilynn, Barbra and the other chick?”

 

“Who?” Brian said confused.

 

“He called us the woman of the View.” Howie said explaining the insult to him. 

 

“Yeah cause we all look like Starr Jones.” Nick scoffed.

 

“Give it time.” AJ said patting his stomach as he headed to the door.

 

“Bite me asshole.” Nick shot back as AJ opened the door.

 

“AJ wait.” Kevin said as he caught up to him in the hall.

 

“What?” AJ sighed.

 

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yes I am but if people keep being all up in my face and not give me my space I might not be.” AJ said implying about all their questions.

 

“I know but we were thinking that maybe now, if it’s really over with Sarah you could go back to rehab and…”

 

            “Ending this conversation right now.” AJ said quickly as he turned around.  “I’ve got it under control.”

 

            “No you don’t Alex.” Kevin shouted after him.  “It’s never under control!” It was the last thing he heard him yell as he walked onto the elevator.

 

            Soon after he had rolled up in front of Eve’s place, he texted her at a red light and let her know he was on his way.  She came out the front doors and got into the passenger side.  AJ looked her up and down, noticing how tight her dark blue jeans were, how the large black belt sat on her hips and the way her tank top clung to her curves.

           

“Thanks for the picture.” He said as he pulled out of the driveway.

 

“Wish I could have seen your face when you got it.” She smiled.  “Hope I didn’t get you into trouble.”

 

“I almost had a stroke right there but no one noticed.” He told her as he looked at her.  “Anymore coming?” He asked raising an eyebrow.

 

“Maybe, if you’re good.” She teased as her fingers trickled down the back of his neck.

Chapter 7 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Seven

 

 

            AJ drove down the now familiar street on his way to Messieurs; he hadn’t talked to Eve in a couple of days.  He had started last minute rehearsals and was up early and in bed late but tonight he had the night off, and tomorrow he had all day off.          He pulled into the parking lot and found a place to park.  As he closed the door to his car he pulled his smokes out and lit one. 

 

“Hey Ricky.” AJ nodded to the big guy that seemed to always be at the door.  He was starting to get to know everyone by name and they knew him, who wouldn’t he was the first guy they had seen Eve with in or outside of the club.

 

“AJ man, where’s Eve?” Ricky asked.  “She didn’t come into work today and Ted is looking for her.”

 

“She didn’t?” AJ asked a little concerned.

 

“Ted’s at the bar go talk to him.” He nodded towards the inside.  AJ walked into the dull lit building and headed right to the bar when he saw the older taller man standing behind it.

 

“Where is that girl of yours?” Ted said as AJ approached the bar.

 

“I’ve been at rehearsals the last two days, she told me she’d be working tonight.” AJ told him.

 

“Well she’s not here and if she’s at home she’s not answering her phone, or cell for that matter.” Ted said with frustration.  “I don’t even care how much money I’m going to lose tonight if she doesn’t dance I just want to know she’s ok.”

 

“I’ll go to her place and see; I’ll call and let you know ok?” AJ told him as he himself began to worry.  Quickly he left the club and got into his car and made a bee line right to her apartment.  With a couple of weeks seeing her under his belt he knew the way to her place, at least from the club pretty well.

 

Parking his car on the road he got out and ran up the front lawn to the apartment doors, he punched her apartment number into the board and waited for the phone to ring.  It rang, and rang, and rang, and…

 

“Hello?” Her voice broke over the speaker and he sighed a little relieved.

 

“Eve hun it’s AJ is everything ok?” He asked his voice echoing through out the small lobby.

“I’m fine, I’m sick.” She mumbled into the phone and he knew that mumble.

 

“Let me in.” AJ said as he waited for the door to buzz open.

 

“I want to be alone.” She said quickly.

 

“Eve, let me in please.”  AJ said wanting to see her and see what was really wrong.  After a second he heard the door buzz unlock and he opened it heading inside.  He rode the elevator up to her floor and walked down her hall.  Turning the knob on the green door he gave it a gentle push and it opened.  When he walked in a feeling of shock came over him.

 

Bottles scattered the floor, her small table was sitting out on the coffee table and she was sitting on the couch crying.  It was a mess that challenged his worse days and he cleared a path over to the couch and sat down beside her.

 

“Evie what’s wrong darling” He said wondering if she knew he was there. 

 

“What do you care?” She asked as she looked up wiping her eyes and sniffing.

 

“I care.” He said stunned.

 

“Why because my little problem is interrupting you getting laid?” She snapped as she stood up and went to the cabinet.

 

“Eve I have never treated you like that, what the hell is wrong with you.” AJ asked as he stood up from the couch.

 

“Nothing I can take care of myself.” She said angrily as she walked over with another baggy.  AJ sat down again and placed his hands over hers as she fumbled with the bag.  He tried to take it from her but she fought him on it and they struggled over it.

 

“Give me the fucking bag Eve now.” AJ snapped as she let go and his hands snapped back a little.  She started crying again and he pulled her into his arms.  Eve fought at first pushing against his chest trying to get away but then she stopped and wrapped her arms around him tightly.  “Eve tell me what’s going on, I’ve never seen you like this and it’s seriously starting to scare the fuck outta me.”

 

“I can’t.” She said as she slowly pulled away and looked at him still in a light embrace.  Tears still fell from her eyes as she tried to get herself under control.  AJ brushed the tears that fell away and helped her calm down.

 

“Tell me darling.” AJ said once again now that she was not frantic.  Her eyes fell in pain and she closed them.

 

“My Mom and Dad separated when I was eight because my Mom was a drunk and hooked on Heroine.” She spoke slowly telling him something she hadn’t told anyone before.  “My brother and I stayed with her and she started taking him leaving out on us.  It was like that for years she would hit us, throw things at us, call us names and told us she should have gotten rid of us before we were even born.”  She started to cry again and AJ went to hug her but she stopped him and continued.  “One day I was in my room, can’t even remember what I was doing and I heard her and my Brother fighting.  Then I heard a loud yell and things falling downstairs, I went to see what was going on and when I came down the stairs I saw…” Again she stopped as she fought hard not to lose control again.  “I saw…” She couldn’t fight them anymore.  “I saw Sean on the floor, there was blood all over him and she wouldn’t stop hitting him.” She blurted out crying and AJ sat there stunned.  “I tried, I tried to stop her but I couldn’t.”  Eve started breathing heavily through her cries and AJ reached out and pulled her against him.

 

“Oh god Eve.” AJ said as even he started tearing up a little, his heart hurting from seeing her in so much pain.  She rested her chin on his shoulder and began to talk again. 

 

“I sat in that fucking cop car for over an hour, watching the police go in and out of my house, I watched as they brought her out in handcuffs and took her away, I waited for him to come out, to walk out the front door but he never did.” She whispered as a tear dripped.  “Just a black bag being wheeled out as the police took me down to the station.”  Taking a deep breath she let AJ hold her as she cried.

 

“What happened after?” AJ asked after they sat in silence for a bit.

 

“Mom went to jail.” She told him as she slowly let go of him.

 

“Is she still there?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, she will probably be dead before she even see’s a chance for parole.” Eve told him. 

“What about you?” He asked as he tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear and wiped more tears from her face.

 

“I went to Foster care but I was fifteen so I took off from my Foster family, I met up with Ted, he use to date my Mom and had heard what had happen.” She told him.  “I started doing odd jobs around the club, and then when I turned eighteen I wanted to start dancing, make my own money. Ted wouldn’t let me at first but I threaten to go somewhere else to dance and decided it would be better to have me somewhere he could keep an eye on me.”  She said as she lightly shrugged.

 

“I usually don’t get this bad.” She said looking around at the mess she made.  “But this year it’s different.”

 

“Why?” He asked.

 

She looked at him and took a deep breath.  “Because of you.”

 

            “Me?” AJ replied a shocked.

 

“When the police officially told me about Sean I knew from that point on I would be alone.  When I started dancing and saw the guys that were into girls like me, I figured I would be like that forever, and then I met you.”  She said as she gently touched the side of his face.  “You’ve never treated me like I was a stripper, like I was like the other girls, and I know we haven’t been together or known each other that long but the time I’ve been with you, I haven’t felt alone once.  Even when you told me about Sarah, I still felt like you wanted me more.”

 

“I did.” He told her as he placed his hand around the back of her neck, gently.  She lightly smiled at him and he slowly pulled her to him and kissed her.  Eve wrapped her arms around him again, sliding her hands up his back.  When their lips parted he held her against him.  “Why don’t you go have a long hot bath, I’ll clean up and let Ted know you’re ok.”

 

Slowly she pulled away and nodded.  They kissed again quickly and then she got up from the couch and headed to the bathroom.  AJ took a deep breath as everything he had just heard settled.  He couldn’t believe it, here he was thinking she was a normal girl who just happened to strip but now he saw there was more to her, a darker side to her, something he knew all to well, something none of the other girls or even Sarah understood.  Getting up off the couch he headed into the kitchen and searched for the garbage bags, when he found them he began to gather the bottles and glasses in the living room.  He cleaned everything up, even wiping off the powder residue left on her coffee table.  When the room was much cleaner than when he first got there, he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and called Ted.

 

“I forgot what today was.” Ted said as his voice saddened after AJ told him what was up.  “Tell her to take tonight and tomorrow night off.”

 

“Ok.” AJ said nodding.  The two hung up and AJ closed his phone standing in the middle of her living room.  He didn’t hear water splashing around any more and he thought he had heard the bathroom door open while he was on the phone.  Walking down the hall he saw the bathroom door closed and no light peeking from under it.  He walked up to her bedroom door which was open only a crack.  Gently he pushed it opened and saw her lying on her bed, her terry cloth robe wrapped around her, and her head lying on her pillow.

 

Eve was silent as she lied on her bed, her eyes open staring at her wall.  He walked over and shut his cell off then crawled onto the bed.  Not saying anything he slipped his arm under her neck and pulled her against him.  He let his fingers gently glide down her hair as he lied there holding her.

 

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

 

“For what?” He asked as he looked down at her.

 

“For what I said when you came in, you’ve never made me feel that way.”

 

He lightly smiled and kissed her forehead.  “It’s ok, if there’s one person who understands the stupid shit we say when we’re upset, it’s me.”  She tucked her head back under his chin and he frowned a little hoping he would have gotten a smile, even a flicker of one but nothing.  Pulling her tighter against him he lied there, holding her, letting her fall asleep and he stayed like that as he drifted off to sleep too.

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Eight

 

 

 AJ stood in the kitchen wiping off the counter, normally he would have just sat down and ate but this wasn’t his place.  He tossed the cloth into the sink and grabbed the tray from the counter. Double checking he had the scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and Apple Juice he headed down past the living room and down the hall.  Using his hip he pushed the door open carefully and walked into Eve’s bedroom.

 

She had woken up a few times in the middle of the night with nightmares but AJ was right there beside her, reminding her she was ok and safe.  When he woke up this morning she was still sleeping beside him holding his hand against her neck and pillow.  Quietly he snuck out of the room and started to prepare her breakfast.

 

Sitting the bed table down on her night stand he carefully sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over her, kissing her lightly on the lips.  He called to her and she mumbled as he kissed her again.  When she opened her eyes he finally saw the smile he was waiting for.

 

“Morning.” She said half asleep.

 

“Morning.” He replied as his fingers drifted down her cheek. “Are you hungry? I made you breakfast.”  AJ pointed to the night stand and she looked.

 

“You made me breakfast?” She asked with a light smile.

 

“Don’t get excited it’s one of the only things I know how to cook.”  He said as he flashed her a smile.  “You didn’t each much yesterday, wasn’t sure how you would be this morning after all the drinking.”  AJ said as he took her hand.  Eve’s eyes drifted away and her face fell in sadness.  “It’s ok Eve, I’ve done worse because of the shit in my life, nothings changed because of what happened.”

 

“Really?” She asked as she looked up at him.

 

He took her hand and kissed the back of her fingers.  “Really.”  Eve smiled as she took a deep breath and looked over at the bed table.  “Are you hungry?”

 

“Yeah a little.” She nodded as she looked back at him.  He reached up and took the small table setting it in front of her once she got comfortable. “Did you eat?” She asked.

 

“I had some toast.” He told her as she picked up her glass.

 

“Well I’m not going to be able to eat this entire plate so go grab a fork.” She told him nodding towards the door.  AJ did just that and joined her back on the bed in a couple of seconds. 

 

“How are you feeling?” He asked as he picked up some eggs.

 

“I’m better.” She said and then exhaled.  “Thanks for staying.”

 

“No problem, I was worried about you.” He told her.

 

“You were?” She asked and he was taken back by her shock.

 

“Of course I was, when they told me at the club you hadn’t shown up and you hadn’t even called Ted, then I heard your voice downstairs I knew something was wrong. When I got up here and I saw the bottles everywhere, it reminded me of me a couple of years ago.” He said as he set the table down when they were both done eating.

 

“Before you tried rehab?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “I think you’re something special Eve, I don’t care about your job because I know you won’t go where most girls go, you’re loving and caring and you didn’t act like you had this big secret.  I thought you were a ‘normal’ girl who just happened to be a stripper.” AJ said with a light smile and she smiled back.  “People don’t get me, people who have known me for years don’t get me, and they don’t know the kind of pain, anger, and loneliness I feel but you do.  We may not have had the same experiences to get to that point but what we feel is the same.” She lightly smiled at the attention he gave her.

 

“So I was thinking since Ted gave you the night off tonight how about we spend the day at my place, and you can chill by the pool all day.”  AJ asked her as he took her hand.

 

“Sure” She nodded.

 

“Sweet.” He said standing up.  “I’ll go clear this stuff and you can get ready.”

 

“Ok” She said as he picked up the tray and headed out of the room.

 

A half hour later they left Eve’s place and walked to AJ’s car.  He opened the door for her and she got in.  They talked a little bit in the car but it was pretty much a quiet ride. He didn’t mind, he understood why she didn’t feel like talking much right now but he hoped some time at his place would lift her up a little.

 

“It’s a little empty on the inside, haven’t really had a chance to pick some things up since Sarah left.” He said as he climbed out of the car.

 

“You’ve been to my place right?” She asked looking at him over the roof.  He laughed as he closed the door and met her at the front.  Taking her hand he walked to her to the door.   When he unlocked the door he led her inside and turned off the alarm.

 

“I need to check my messages in my office just make yourself comfortable.” He said pointing to the couch and TV in his living room.  Eve walked into the living room and AJ caught himself staring at her, he lightly smirked, it was nice seeing her in his living room.  Breaking his eyes from her he headed down the hall and into his office.  As he listened to his messages play through he quickly checked his email.

 

“You wanna go for a swim?” AJ asked as he walked into the living room from his office.

 

“Sure” Eve nodded.  He took her hand as she stood up and he led her too the back doors. 

 

AJ walked over to the pool and took the cover off and then grabbed the roaming vacuum and put it in.  When he looked up he saw Eve sliding her pants off, revealing her Bikini bottoms.  He lightly bit his lip as he watched her fold her clothes and place them on the patio chair.  Catching himself before he slipped into another day dream he walked around the pool.

 

“I’m gonna go throw my suit on.” He told her as he stood at the door.

 

When he came back down he saw she was already in the pool floating on her back.  He opened the door and closed it behind him as he walked out.  AJ set a couple of towels down on the patio chair and walked over to the edge.  Diving in by Eve’s feet he splashed her a little and popped up beside her.

 

“Did I get you?” He asked as he wrapped his arms around her back.

 

“A little.” She laughed.

 

“Sorry.” He apologized.

 

“No you’re not.” Eve said still laughing as she draped her arms over his shoulders.

 

“I’m glad you’re laughing again.” He said as his eyes drifted across her face.  She lightly smiled and before she could look down he took her attention with his lips. Her body felt good in his arms and against his body.  Slowly swimming her to the closes edge he gently pressed her up against the pool wall.  He hoped he wasn’t pushing her but he wanted her to feel good again, if only for a few seconds.

 

When their bodies let go of each other and their lips parted, he helped her put her bathing suit back on and then swam her over to the pool steps.  He wrapped one of the towels he brought outside around her and rubbed her arms gently.  She wrapped her arms around him, wrapping both him and her in her towel and laid her head against his chest.

 

They stood there holding each other for a little bit and then AJ walked them over to the long patio chair.  He laid a towel down over it and then lied down and motioned for her to join him.  She stretched out and let him wrap her in his arms, resting her head on his shoulder.  They’re legs tangled around each other. 

 

“AJ man your phone was ringing.” Kevin said as the back door opened and he came walking out.  Eve and AJ both jump.  “Oh, I’m sorry.” Kevin said looking at the two.

 

“It’s cool we were just layin back, what’s up?” AJ asked as he got up trying to blow the intrusion off walking over to Kevin at the door.

 

“I came to see if you wanted to come by for dinner but I can see you’re busy.”  Kevin said as he looked over AJ’s shoulder at Eve.  “So that’s her huh?” He whispered.

 

“Yes.” AJ said looking at him, telling him with his eyes not to start.  “She had a rough day yesterday so I brought her over here for some relaxation time. Ok?”

 

“Fine.” Kevin said raising his hands a little not wanting to get into anything.

 

“Besides it’s been almost a month.” AJ said.

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Kevin replied.

 

“Yeah but you want too.” AJ said quickly.

 

“Well I’ll tell Kris you had plans maybe another time.” Kevin told him as he reached for the door.

 

“Sure.” AJ nodded as Kevin walked back inside.  He shut the door and turned around walking back over too Eve on the chair.

 

“Did you get the third degree?” She asked as he sat down behind her.

 

“Nope, never gave him a chance too.” AJ said with a smile as he looked over her shoulder.

 

“Do you have to go?” She asked.

 

“No, he just wanted to invite me over for dinner but I told him I had plans.” AJ replied.  He gently brushed his lips across her shoulder and then kissed the arch of her neck.  “We should go inside it’s getting a little chilly.” He said as he locked eyes with her.

 

“Yeah, I’m getting a little cold.” She said as they both stood up.

 

“Are you hungry, I can try and make us something to eat?” AJ said as he closed the back door.

 

“Sure” She replied with a light laugh.  “I’m going to get dressed.”

 

AJ made them nachos and cheese and they spent the rest of the afternoon and evening on the couch watching movies.  Once in a while they would get distracted with one or the other initiating a make out sessions.

 

As they watched their third movie AJ was laying on Eve’s lap as she sat on the couch with her head resting on her hand, her elbow sitting on the back of the couch.  His eyes were closed as she gently brushed her fingers through his hair but he opened them when he asked her a question.

 

“Hey Evie?”

 

“Yeah?” She looked down at him.

 

“How come you never went with your Dad?” He asked.

 

“They couldn’t find him, changed his name or something, I’m not sure.” She shrugged. 

 

“Do you ever think about finding him?”

 

“Not really.” She replied as she looked down.  “He left his two kids with a drug addict drunk, how special can he be.”

 

AJ sat up so his eyes were level with hers.  He could see the tears forming in her them and his heart sank.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.”

 

“I know and you didn’t it’s just…” She stopped taking a breath and he waited for her to answer.  “I haven’t told anyone about my Mom and Brother before, Ted never needed me to talk about it and everyone else just really didn’t care about my past.”  As he wiped a tear that rolled down her cheek she looked at him.  “I’ve never been this close with anyone before.  All those years of being told I was unwanted and unlovable kind of stuck with me.  I never thought I would meet someone who actually wanted to be with me, who thought I was good enough for their time, but…” She stopped and his eyes frowned in confusion.

 

“But what?” AJ asked as he rested his fingers under her chin and brought her eyes to his.

“How long do you think we’ll last?” She asked him.  “You’re a Backstreet Boy, it’s apart of who you are, Me, I’m a stripper, I’m not stupid AJ I know people are going to look at me like I’m using you as my next meal ticket.  What are your friends, your Mom going to say when they find out what I do?”

 

“They’ll be shocked, probably, yes some will fight me on it, but their going to have to get over it.” He said as she looked at him.  “They’re going to have to get over it cause I’m falling in love with you.”

 

“AJ” She whispered a little shocked as he leaned into her.

 

“Call me Alex.” He whispered back just before his lips pressed against hers. 

 

With one motion as he stood up from the couch he picked her up and carried her to the stairs.  Making sure he had his bearings as she brushed her lips down his neck and teased his ear lobe he started up the stairs and brought her into his bedroom.

Chapter 9 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Nine

 

 

The next morning AJ took Eve home before he went to rehearsals and surprised her that night by showing up at the club just before she came on.  He drove her home and spent the night and that’s how the last couple of weeks had gone.  If AJ had rehearsals then he would go to Eve’s afterwards if he was off he’d go watch her dance and then take her back to his place.  Every day they felt themselves getting closer to each other.  But the time came when they had to part for a little bit because AJ was going on tour. 

 

He was worried about her.  He knew she didn’t know what to expect when it came to him touring.  Could she handle the lonely nights, days, the not going out or staying in. Although things had gotten much better since the day he found out about her Brother and Mom, the signs of her little breakdown no long apparent.  She smiled, laughed and had fun like when he first met her.  She went back to work and started living like nothing else bothered her.   They’d talk every day and it made it a little easier that she didn’t get home from work till late, because well he always got home late into the night also.

 

“Look look, give him two more seconds and the bottom lip will drop.” Nick whispered to Brian who giggled.

 

“Huh?” AJ said looking up at the two men across from him.

 

“I was just telling Brian how pathetic you look.” Nick said sarcastically.

 

“You do you look a little out of it, everything ok?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m fine.” AJ said lightly shaking his head.

 

“He misses that chick.” Nick sighed.

 

“She has a name.” AJ said looking at him.

 

“I know and it’s the only thing I know.” Nick replied quickly.

 

“Kevin met her.” AJ said quickly as the eldest band mate walked into the room.

 

“Saw her, for all of a minute.” Kevin replied sitting down. “And didn’t say a damn word to her.”

 

“Well there you go.” Nick said sitting back.  He looked at his three friends sitting around him, the only one not there was Howie, the one to less likely freak out about Eve’s job.

            “Well she works weird hours.” AJ said with a shrug.

 

“Is that why she didn’t come with you because she had to work?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah, she couldn’t get the time off.” AJ said hoping that was enough to drop the subject.

 

“AJ, man.” Kevin said trying to get AJ’s attention back.  “Why so secretive about this one?”

 

“I’m not being secretive.” AJ scoffed.

 

“You are, have you taken her outside of your house or her house?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yes, lots of times.” AJ said quickly.

 

“Besides driving to and from your place, her place or work.” Kevin added as he rolled his eyes.  AJ didn’t say anything as he flipped through the songs on his play list.

 

“Well all be damn.” Brian said sitting back and it caused AJ to sigh and roll his eyes.

 

“What!?” He snapped looking at Brian across from him.

 

“Last week Leigh got a call from Sarah, Sarah spent most of the time bitching about you and she told Leigh something about a new girlfriend but I thought she was just spouting off like she did.” Brian said looking at AJ.  The tone in his voice and the look on his face was enough to raise AJ’s heart rate, and his stomach push into his throat.

 

“What did Sarah say?” Nick asked with a huge show of interest.

 

“She said you were with some new girl who worked at a dance club.” Brian said and AJ’s stomach rose a bit higher.

 

“Dance club.” Nick said thinking.  “You mean a stripper?” He said as his eyes almost popped out of his head. “You’re dating a stripper?”

 

“He has been spending a lot of time with that friend Mats.” Brian added.  “In fact Leigh asked where Sarah heard that and she told Leigh Mats told her.”

 

“I’m going to fucking kill him.” AJ thought as his grip around his phone tightened.

 

“AJ is that what she does?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yes, ok, alright! She’s a stripper.” AJ said as he sat up.

 

“AJ” Brian whined with a sigh.

 

“For fuck sakes it’s not like she’s an axe murderer. Fuck.” AJ snapped at Brian’s attitude.

“Then why hide it?” Brian snapped back.

 

“Because of this exact reason, what difference does it make, a job is a job.” AJ said frustrated.

 

“Well walking the st…” Brian started to speak.

 

“You won’t finish that sentence unless you want to see what this table looks like close up.” AJ snapped through his teeth.

 

            “Alright both of you back to your corners.” Kevin said standing up.

 

“So what you’re just going to allow this?” Brian yelled at Kevin.

 

“Allow this!?” AJ shouted.  “Since when do I have to run my girlfriends past you!”

 

“When you start dating hookers.” Brian scoffed.

 

“You lil prick!” AJ snapped as he lunged for Brian across from him but was stopped by Kevin and dragged out of the room.

 

“Go to your room and chill out.” Kevin said as the door closed behind them.

 

“Chill out, did you hear what he called her?” AJ yelled.

 

“I know and I’ll deal with him, you go chill out.” Kevin said motioning for him to go to his room.

 

“I knew this is what would happen that’s why I kept my mouth shut.”

 

“Well AJ what are we suppose to do? We know nothing about her and then when we find out something, we find out she’s a stripper.”

 

“Who the fuck cares?” AJ moaned.

 

“I don’t but others in your life do or will I’m sure your Mom doesn’t know either.” Kevin said eyeing him.  “I’m sure she’s a great girl but AJ you need to be careful, most girls don’t want to dance forever and are looking for a quick way out.”

 

“She’s not like that.” AJ snapped.

 

“AJ man come on.” Kevin sighed.

 

“She’s not.”

 

“Well we don’t know that, we don’t know her.” Kevin said as the door opened.

 

“Fine then I’ll bring her out here and you can all mock and throw stones at the village whore.” AJ snapped as he saw Brian walk out of the room.

 

“AJ” Kevin sighed as he watched him walk away.

 

AJ waved him off and dug in his pocket for his room keycard.  Unlocking his door he went inside and tossed his phone onto his bed.  He wanted to punch something but this wasn’t his place.  Sitting down on the bed he put his head in his hands and yelled out his frustration.  Running his fingers through his hair he looked over at the cell phone lying on the bed.  Picking it up he dialed a number and put it too his ear, waiting for the person to pick up.

 

“Hey dude, how are the ladies in South Carolina?” Mats asked not even saying hello.

 

“You fucking told Sarah about Eve?” AJ snapped into the phone.

 

“Whoa what?” Mats said.

 

“I just had an awesome talk with Brian because he said Sarah told him about Eve, about her being a stripper, and Sarah said she heard it from you.” AJ yelled.

 

“What’s the big deal dude it’s not like it’s anything permanent.” Mats said and AJ wanted to bust his phone right in his hand.  It wasn’t what he said that made him angry it was how he said it. 

 

“You’re so fucking lucky I’m on the other side of the fucking country.” AJ hissed into the phone.

 

“Seriously dude you need to chill out, you know anyone there? She’s just a dancer.” Mats said with a light laugh.

 

“FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!” AJ yelled into his cell and then threw it at the wall across from him and it shattered as it crashed to the floor.  He got up from the bed and grabbed his jacket off the chair.  Opening the door he took off into the hallway.

 

“What was that?” Kevin asked and he saw Brian, Nick and Kevin were still in the hallway.  “AJ what broke?”

 

“Fuck off, leave me alone.” AJ mumbled as he walked down the hallway to the stairwell, not wanting to wait there for the elevator.

 

He walked down the street of the city they were in, no bodyguard, no buddy, just him and for him that was a little dangerous.  But he didn’t care, he was pissed and he needed to get out and get a drink, a few drinks.

 

Finding a bar just a couple of blocks from the Hotel, he walked in and found himself a seat at the bar.  He asked for his usual Jack and Ice and waited to be served.  Tuning everything out he sat there staring at his glass.  AJ looked over his shoulder at the juke box when a familiar song came on.  The bartender put another glass in front of him and he lightly smiled.  Not to the bartender for serving him but at the song, her song. It brought the image of her dancing into his head but now other memories filled his mind. Memories of how she felt in his arms, how he felt when she kissed him and how she felt when they made love. 

 

When he finished his fifth glass of Jack and had a good buzz going, he got up and headed out of the bar.  It was now getting dark and the breeze was cool.  AJ walked back to the hotel.  He was glad the lobby was pretty much empty and decided to take the elevator up to his floor.  When the doors opened he peeked out and saw his hall empty.  With a sigh he stepped off and headed towards his room.

 

Making it to his door safely he unlocked it and headed inside.  A crunch under his foot made him look down and he saw a piece of his cell under his shoe.  He sighed remembering throwing it against the wall.  Taking off his jacket he tossed it on the back of the chair and began to pick up all the pieces.  Tossing them into the garbage, he sat down on the bed and picked up the hotel phone.

 

“Hello?” Her voice said into his ear and he smiled.

 

“Hey darling.” AJ said as he sat back against the head board.

 

“Hi.” She replied a little shocked he didn’t call from his cell.  “How are things going?”

 

“They’re ok.” AJ said in a solemn tone into the phone.

 

“Just ok?” She asked.  He paused for a minute and then took a deep breath.

 

“I was talking to the guys today and I guess Mats told Sarah about, about what you do. Sarah told Brian’s wife and she told Brian.” AJ told her.

 

“Oh.” Eve replied.

 

“After fighting with them over it, I got into a screaming match on the phone with Mats over it, now I’m just drained.” AJ told her as he rubbed his eyes.  There was silence on the other end and AJ knew why.  “They’ll get over it.” He told her.  “And I really don’t care what Mats thinks about it.”

 

“Why would Mats say anything to her in the first place?” Eve asked.

 

“No idea.” AJ said shaking his head.  “I miss you.” He sighed.

 

“I miss you too.” He was taken back by her words a little; he heard something in her tone.  It wasn’t rushed or it wasn’t in a cutesy tone. It was sincere and a little sad.

 

“Do you think Ted would give you some time off?” He asked.

 

“Ted will do anything not have me dance.” She snickered.

 

“Then let me fly you out here, I want to see you.” He asked.

 

“Alex” Eve lightly sighed.

 

“Eve” AJ lightly mocked.  He smiled when he heard a small laugh.

 

“Alright” Eve said as she finally gave into him.

 

“Sweet.” AJ lightly cheered.  “Are you going to be up for a bit?”

 

“Yeah, I just got in.” She said and he could tell she was smiling.

 

“Ok, then let me call you back when I have all your flight info.” He told her.

 

“Ok.” She replied. 

 

They said their goodbyes and AJ hung up the phone.  He stood up and started looking for his phone and then realized it was now in his garbage.  “Shit” He said as he threw his head back and whined.  All his numbers were in the phone.  AJ grabbed the phone book that the hotel provided and started looking for the airlines number.  He wrote down some numbers and then began make preparations for Eve to come out to see him.

Chapter 10 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                           Chapter Ten

 

 

AJ sat as still as he could in the back of a town car that sat outside of the airport.  He was waiting for Eve to come out, his finger on the window button, ready to wave her over when he saw her come out.  The tips of his fingers on his other hand strummed on the top of his knee as his heel tap the car floor.  His eyes darted around the front doors as he watched for her.

 

A small gasp of excitement escaped from his lips when he saw her walking out one of the tall glass doors.  Her bag strung over her shoulder as she looked around the pick up zone.  He rolled down the window and threw out his arm, waving and trying to grab her attention.

 

She waved back when she saw him and headed towards the town car.  He opened the door after the driver took her bag and she climbed in.  When she got into the car neither of them said a word as they leaned into each other and kissed.

 

“Hi” AJ said a little breathless when they pulled apart.

 

“Hi” She said smiling at him softly.

 

“How was the flight?” He asked as they stayed close to each other.

 

“Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.” She replied and he smiled.

 

“It gets easier.” He said as he lightly kissed her cheek and then over to her neck.

 

“Can’t you wait till we get to the hotel?” She joked.

 

“No” He pouted as his head popped up and he looked at her.  “You made it worse with that phone call.”

 

“Well you could have had pictures too but you dropped your phone.” She teased.

 

“You’re brutal.” He sighed and she started to laugh.

 

When they arrived at the hotel and waited in the elevator AJ started to get nervous.  Kevin promised he’d keep Brian in check and everyone else said they’d get to know her before making anymore assumptions about her.  But he knew them and when they had something on their mind they let it be known.

 

He stepped off the elevator and saw Kevin talking to one of their managers and his throat went dry.  They heard the bell ding because they both looked over at the couple.  He took Eve’s hand and walked over to Kevin.

 

“Hi” Kevin said with a small polite smile.  “Did you just get back?”

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “This is Eve. Eve this is Kevin.”

“Hello” Kevin said with a nod.

 

“Hi” Eve replied with a light smile.

 

“Well I got some things to do; you don’t forget sound check in a couple of hours.” Kevin said looking at AJ.

 

“I know.” AJ said rolling his eyes.

 

“It was nice to finally meet you.” Kevin said to Eve.

 

“Yeah same here.” She returned with a smile.

 

“See, that wasn’t so bad.” AJ said smiling at her.  She lightly laughed as he turned them back around and walked them to his room.  He walked inside, dropped his keycard on the table, and hung his jacket on the chair.

 

“I got some Jack in the fridge if you want a drink to relax.” AJ said as he turned around.

 

She was taking off her jacket and looked up at him.  “That sounds good.”

 

He walked over to the mini bar and pulled out the bottle and grabbed a couple of glasses.  Carrying them over to the couch he sat down and started to pour.  She sat down beside him and he handed her a glass.  They talked about what was going on that night, sound check concert and then how early they had to leave the next morning. 

 

“I’m really glad you came.” AJ told her as he sat on the couch holding her.

 

“I’m glad you asked.” She spoke quietly as her head rested on his shoulder.  She played with the necklace around his neck and then let go and slid her arms around his waist.  The hair on the back of his neck stood up as he felt her fingers slid under his T-shirt and drifted across his stomach.  His eyes closed and he tilted his head a little when he felt her lips on his neck. 

 

As AJ sat on the couch Eve took his clothes off one by one and repeated everything she told him she would do during the intimate phone call they shared the night before.  When it was over they both laid on the couch naked wrapped in each others arms.  He gently kissed the back of her shoulder as he held her.  Slowly she leaned back and looked at him.  Her fingers gently touched the side of his face as her eyes locked on his.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked when he notice it looked like she wanted to say something.

 

“Yeah” She replied with a light smile and then she leaned up and kissed him, her fingers sliding down the side of his neck.  He wasn’t sure if it was a distraction or she was telling the truth.

 

“We should get dress.” AJ said as they pulled away.  “Gotta leave for sound check soon.”

 

They arrived at the arena and AJ led her to the dressing rooms.  When they walked into the large room that was set up like a lounge, they were greeted by Kevin and the rest of the gang.  He smiled a little as he felt her grip tighten around his hand.

 

            “Hey man.” Kevin nodded as he walked by.

 

“Anything to eat yet?” AJ asked looking around. 

 

“Over there.” Kevin said pointing to the other section of the room.

 

“Sweet, I’m starving.” AJ said smacking his stomach lightly.  “Come on.” He said turning to Eve.  He led her over to the long table where it was covered in food and drinks.

 

“Hi” Nick said as he walked up to them.

 

“Hey” AJ said wondering what he was going to say or do.

 

“I’m Nick.” Nick said as he put his hand out for Eve.

 

“Eve” She said with a smile.

 

“What do you want dude?” AJ asked a little annoyed.

 

“Just came to get a sandwich.” Nick replied as he reached for a couple.

 

“Guys you can hit the stage now.” A woman said as she walked into the room.

 

“That’s my cue.” AJ smiled taking the last gulp from his can of soda.  “Bleh should have brought some Jack.  You wanna come watch the sound check or stay here?” He asked Eve.

 

“I’ll come watch if that’s cool.” She said with a light shrug.  AJ smiled as he took her hand and they followed everyone to the stage area.  He got her a stool to sit on and made his way out to the large set with the other guys.

 

“Hi” A voice said from beside Eve and she looked beside her.

 

“Hi” Eve said with a smile.  She didn’t know who the woman was beside her but she saw her hanging around Kevin when they got here.

 

“I’m Kristin, Kevin’s wife.” She explained.

 

“I’m Eve.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“So who all have you met so far?” Kristin asked as Nick and Brian fought over the mics and their voices echoed over the arena.

 

“Just Kevin and Nick.” Eve said with a light smile.

 

The two girls talked over what could be expected being on tour with the guys and Kristin told Eve stories about the guys and the hi-jinx they would get in too.  AJ would come over every once in a while and steal a hug and a kiss and a couple of hours later the sound check was over.

 

“You and Kris seemed to be getting along.” AJ said to Eve as they sat on a couch in the lounge room.

 

“Yeah, she’s nice.” Eve said with a nod.

 

“Good.” He smiled as he took her hand, although he was pretty sure Kevin sent Kristin to snoop.  While they waited for the concert to get underway Eve met Howie and talked to Kevin and Kristin some more.  The only one who hadn’t made his way over was Brian and it was starting to annoy AJ a little, the least he could do would be to say hello and introduce himself.

 

When the concert started Kristin took Eve to a spot off stage where they could sit and watch.  It was the first time she had seen AJ perform.  She had heard him sing a few times now, when they were alone in bed in each others arms, or danced to a song. But she had never seen him in his element before.  The way he would watch her.

 

Everyone else went out to get something to eat after the concert except AJ and Eve who decided to go back to their room and eat there.  AJ figured Eve had enough getting to know you time with the guys.  When they got back AJ went straight to the shower.

 

He walked out of the bathroom and over to the bed when he felt a strong draft and then realized his towel was missing.  Spinning around AJ saw Eve standing behind him with the towel in her hand.

 

“Hey” He said with a joking frown.  She didn’t say anything as she tossed him the towel and walked up to him.  Gently she pushed him and he stumbled back onto the bed. He tossed the towel behind him as she leaned down and kissed him.  AJ slowly leaned his body back as her lips traveled down his neck, chest and stomach.  As she knelt down in front of him he closed his eyes and slowly rolled his head back.  He noticed a little more aggression with her this time around and as he thought about it this afternoon too.  Something seemed different about her, the way she acted, the way she looked at him, kissed him, and the way she made love to him.  This time she took total control of the events until they laid exhausted on top of the bed.

 

“Wow, that was…” AJ said breathless.  “Wow.”

 

Eve lightly laughed as she crawled under the large blankets.  AJ laid there a moment still in a little daze and then joined her.  He doubled checked that he had put in a wake up call and then slid under the blankets as he wrapped Eve in his arms.

 

“Good night Alex.” Eve said half asleep.

 

“Night Sweetheart.” AJ said as he lightly kissed the top of her head.

 

 

 

Chapter 11 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                          Chapter Eleven

 

            “Wait up bitches!” She heard AJ yell as she sat down on the couch.  It was another city and another sound check.  Eve chose to stay in the lounge for this one, she hadn’t been in the greatest moods and the closer she got to going home the worse it got.

 

“Not watching today?” Kristin asked as she walked into the room.

 

“No” Eve replied with a light smile.

 

“Brian still ignoring you?” Kristin asked.

 

“Yeah.” Eve said as she sat up.

 

“Don’t worry too much about it, Brian has his fits then he gets over it.” She smiled and Eve tried to smile back.

 

“We can see how much you care about him and Brian will too.” Kristin said

 

“I do care about him, a lot.” Eve told her.

 

“He’s very protective of you I’ve noticed.” Kristin told her.

 

“I’ve never really had a relationship like this before, being so close to someone; he knows that, so maybe that’s why.” Eve said.  “Not that you know I’ve been with a lot of guys, because I haven’t it’s just that…” Eve paused figuring it was better to just keep her mouth shut now.

 

“So what has he done to make you go weak in the knees?” Kristin asked with a light smile.

 

“Lots of things.” Eve replied.  “One night I drove him home from the club, he was pretty drunk, and he asked me in, then freaked out a little and left before I could even answer.”

 

“Sounds like him.” Kristin laughed.

 

“When we lie in bed, when his eyelashes brush along my neck, and when I was sick a month or so ago.” She said remembering her break down in front of him.  “He took care of me, brought me breakfast in bed.”

 

“Now that’s AJ.” Kristin smiled.

 

“But the one that really does it is how he treats me.” Eve said as she looked at Kristin.  “He doesn’t treat me like a stripper, or even that I dance, he treats me like a person.”

 

“Kris?” Leigh Anne said as she popped her head into the room.

 

“Be right back.” Kristin said to Eve with a smile.

 

As Eve sat there she started thinking about the things he’s done for her, how he treats her and she started feeling worse about leaving.  She only had a few days left before she had to go home and the closer it got the more she wanted to stay. 

 

Eve was starting to learn the ins and outs of Backstreet Time so when AJ told her they would just hang around here because the concert was starting in an hour, she wasn’t surprised.  She was glad he was in and out of the room most of the time, hoping he wouldn’t notice the mood she was in.

 

The concert went off without a hitch and Eve waited for AJ to shower as everyone else started to pack up and leave.  She thought she was the last one in the room until Brian walked in.  A light smile came across her face but nothing across his as he looked away.

 

“I hope you’re enjoying yourself.” Brian finally spoke out and she was about to answer but she second guessed on whether or not that was an honest question.

 

“I’m sorry?” She said wanting to double check.

 

“I said I hope you’re enjoying yourself cause when our fans and the media find out what you do, his life is going to go to hell.” Brian said sternly as he picked up his jacket.  “And you can try and quit but our fans will find out.  Ask my wife; ask Kristin, they’ll tell you.  They won’t let him live it down, him dating a stripper and let’s be honest here; can you really quit? What would you do?”

 

“Well if they want him to be happy…”

 

Brian laughed sarcastically.  “Yeah they want us to be happy, happy with them.  You don’t believe me look at some of the stuff they said about Sarah.  I can imagine what they’re going to say about you.”  He stopped and looked at her.  “Is Eve your stripper name or real name?” He asked.

 

“It’s my real name.” Eve said fighting back the tears.

 

“Well Eve I know it may seem like a sweet set up for someone like you, it’s just not worth it.  If you care about him at all, you’ll just end it now and enjoy the trip you got out of it, cause you’re going to cause him a lot of pain.”

 

Eve looked down and closed her eyes as Brian left the room.  She fought hard to keep her emotions back, knowing AJ would be out any minute.  Grabbing her purse she searched for her cover up and began applying.  Reminding herself she had heard it before, it was nothing new and to brush it off but she couldn’t, this was not some asshole drunk she turned down, or got kicked out because they got touchy, this was AJ’s friend, his ‘brother’, his band mate. 

 

“Alright I’m all Zest fully clean now.” AJ said as he walked out fully dressed and cleaned up.

 

“Ok.” Eve said as she forced a smile hoping her make up hid the redness as she put the cover up into her bag.

 

They hopped into the town car and headed back to the hotel.  As they rode up in the elevator AJ looked at Eve from the corner of his eye.  She had been really quiet all the way home and now she looked like she wasn’t even in her own head.

 

He stood at the hotel room table and pulled his arms out of his jacket as he watched her walk over to the couch and sit down.  “Evie?” She looked at him.  “What’s wrong?”

 

“I’m tired.” She said with a light smile.  “I’m not really that hungry either so I’m just going to crash.”

 

“Are you sure?” AJ asked as she stood up.

 

“Yeah” She said as she grabbed her Pajamas out of her bag and headed into the bathroom.  A couple of minutes later she came out and headed over to the bed.  AJ sat on the phone ordering a club house with room service.  He watched as she walked by and crawled into bed.

 

“Ok thanks.” AJ said into the phone when the hostess told him how long.  He hung up the phone and walked over too her.   Kneeling down beside her he helped tuck her in better. 

“I’m going to eat and then crash, we don’t leave till the afternoon tomorrow.” He said as he brushed her hair from her face.  “Are you sure nothings wrong?”

 

“Nothings wrong, I’m just tired.” She replied. 

 

“Ok” AJ said quickly.  “I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

“Night.” She said as she closed her eyes.

 

“Night sweetheart.” AJ replied sadden.

 

He sat on the couch and decided to not watch TV and let Eve sleep.  Laying his head on the arm of the couch his feet at the other end he watched her sleep.  Something wasn’t right about her today.  It could just be a bad day thinking about her Brother but why wouldn’t she tell him that.  He sighed wondering if he was reading too much into it and she really was just tired.  When his food showed up he sat at the table and ate and after letting his stomach settle, he called it a night and climbed into bed next too her.

 

A noise woke him much later into the night and as his eyes slowly opened he looked at the small clock on the night stand.  “Four Thirty?” He thought in his head as the noise became clearer.  His head popped up and he looked around the room waiting for his eyes to adjust.  When they did he saw a figure sitting on the couch.  He looked to his right and saw that Eve wasn’t beside him.

 

“Evie?” He mumbled as he looked back to the figure on the couch.  She didn’t say anything back so he slowly climbed out of bed and walked over to her, turning the light over top of the TV on before he sat down.  “Hey” AJ said with great concern when he saw she was crying.  He reached for her but she looked away.  Pausing for a moment remembering the last time he saw her this upset. “Talk to me.”

 

Her head turned back towards him, her eyes puffy and red, the corners of her nose red too, and her lips were dry.  “I want to go home.” She said her voice shaky and quiet.

 

“Home?” AJ said confused and concerned.

 

Eve nodded.  “I want to go home today.”

 

“Why? Did I do something wrong darling?” He asked.

 

“No” She replied and her bottom lip began to quiver, her eyes fell in pain and a tear dripped from her lashes.  Taking a deep breath she finished her sentence.  “You didn’t do anything, it’s me.”

 

“You?” He said even more confused.

 

She nodded.  “I can’t do this; I can’t be in this world.  I can’t have people I don’t know ask me questions about my Mom and Brother, I don’t want people judging you because of what I chose to do with my life, and I can’t be the reason you and Brian are fighting.”

 

“Brian and I always fight.” AJ said still taken back by what she just said.

 

“You haven’t talked the entire time I’ve been here Alex.” She told him as she wiped her eyes on her sleeve.  “I don’t belong here andI don’t want to hurt you anymore than I am right now.”

 

“Yes you do, you belong here with me.” AJ said taking her hand.  “Eve don’t do this darling please, I’m begging you, we’ll talk about it, we’ll get through it, I don’t care what everyone else thinks.” Now it was his turn to start crying.

 

“Please don’t make this any harder than it is.” Eve told him.  “You deserve better than some stripper.”

 

“I don’t see you like that.” AJ said shaking his head.

 

“But I do.” She said with anger.  “I’ve made up my mind AJ I want to go home.”

 

“Oh you’ve made up your mind.” AJ snapped angrily.  “Well ok then. To hell with Alex’s feelings, I thought you were different, I thought you actually gave a fuck about me!” He looked at her waiting for a response but she sat there, staring at the coffee table letting the tears drip down her face.  This annoyed AJ even more.  “Now you have nothing to fucking say. Fine.  I’ll call the airline, go the fuck home.”

 

He walked over to the phone and picked it up.  The motion of Eve walking to the bathroom made him look up as she disappeared behind the wall and he heard the click of the door closing.  Quickly he hung up the phone and started crying.  He couldn’t believe what was happening.  Covering his mouth he fought them back, he didn’t want to give her the pleasure of seeing him like this.  Again he reached for the phone and picked it up.  When the front desk answered he asked them to patch him through to an Airline.

 

“Here.” He said as he handed her a piece of paper.  “All your flight info is on there, it leaves at eight in the morning.”

 

“Thanks” Eve said quietly as she took the paper from him.  He turned away from her not saying anything and started getting dressed.  As he did he noticed she started gathering up her things and it sunk it deeper what was happening.  More anger rose through him as he slipped his shoes on.  He walked over to the table and grabbed his jacket.

 

“When you’re ready to go just call the front desk and ask for a car and leave your keycard on the table.” AJ said as he stood at the door.

 

“You’re leaving?” She said a little shocked.

 

“Yeah, because I’m going to fucking stick around for this.” He said looking around and then at her.  “I hope you have a good life in ‘your world’.” He shot at her as he turned the knob and opened the door.  It slammed closed and it made her jump.  AJ pressed the elevator button and waited. When the door opened he walked in and pressed the lobby button, before the doors closed he got one last look at his hotel door, one last thought about who was in there, and what he was losing. 

Chapter 12 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                         Chapter Twelve

 

 

AJ leaned against the elevator wall holding himself up, barely.  The small box was spinning as it went up, or it felt like it too him.  The ride up seemed to take forever and his drunken imagination made him hope she changed her mind.

 

“Ding!” AJ said as he stumbled out from the elevator doors, mocking the bell.

 

“AJ” He heard Kevin say and he looked up.

 

“Once sec.” AJ slurred holding up his two fingers and he headed towards his hotel room door.

 

“She’s gone Alex.” Kevin said and he stopped dead in his tracks.  “She left a half hour ago.”

 

“Fffffuuck!” AJ shouted drunkenly as he stomped his foot. He dropped to the floor as he started crying.  Kevin sighed as he sat down in front of him on the hotel hallway carpet.

 

Kevin sighed as he sat down in front of him on the hotel hallway carpet.

“What happened man?”

 

“I dunno.” AJ slurred as his arms flew up.  “I woke and up she was crying, I tried to find out what was wrong and she told me she wanted to go home, she wanted to get out of the relationship now and save me the pain.”  He paused and cried a little more.  “She said she couldn’t have people talking about her Mom and Brother, she couldn’t have people judging me because of her, and she couldn’t come between me and Brian.”

 

“This is his fault acting like such a fucking douche bag!” AJ yelled as he stood up.

 

“What happened to her Brother and Mom?” Kevin asked as he stood up as well.

 

“What?” AJ asked confused.

 

“You said she didn’t want people asking her about her Mom and Brother, why?” He asked. 

 

AJ took a deep breath and tried to gather his drunken thoughts.  “Her Mom killed her Brother when she was fifteen, that’s why she’s a stripper, she got put into Foster care, she bailed and now she dances to take care of herself.”  AJ blurted out.

 

“I had no idea” Kevin said stunned.

 

“Well it’s not like it’s a conversation starter.” AJ snapped.  “She said…” He paused.  “Who cares what she said she was full of shit anyways.”

 

“Let’s get you sobered up before our flight.” Kevin said as he helped AJ too his room.

 

 

 

            When AJ’s plane touched down he was more awake and sober, he borrowed Howie’s cell phone almost every twenty minutes trying to call her but there was always no answer.  Every day he tried calling and still she didn’t pick up.  By the time the tour was over, AJ had pretty much given up on talking to her again.  He was fine until he got home and the loneliness sunk in and he started to miss her.  He missed having her around, he missed talking to her, the fact she would never point out when he miss pronounced a word, in stead of pointing it out and mocking it like other girls did.  She didn’t get mad when he forgot something, she would just laugh.

 

            “Have you tried talking to her?” Kevin asked as he sat on his patio chair.  AJ sat across from him on this nice sunny day.  It had been a couple of days since the tour ended and Kevin invited AJ over for dinner because Brian was leaving for Atlanta the next day.

 

            “Dude I’ve tried, while we were still on tour, when I got home, she doesn’t want to see me so what can I do?” AJ said with a shrug playing it off that he wasn’t as hurt as he was really feeling.

 

“Why don’t you go see her, go to the club or her apartment?” Kevin asked as he grabbed his can of soda.

 

“I’ve thought about it but I just don’t want to hear ‘she doesn’t wanna see you right now.” AJ said as Brian came out from the back doors.

 

“Kristin wants to know if the BarBQue is ready?” Brian said as he walked up to AJ and Kevin.

 

“Yeah it’s ready.” Kevin said as he titled his head a little.

 

“What’s up with you?” Brian asked as he sat down.

 

“Tired.” AJ said wondering what Brian had to say to him.

 

“Just tired?” Brian asked.

 

“What do you care? You didn’t like her anyways.” AJ sighed as he sat back.

 

“Still don’t like seeing you like this, I mean maybe it’s a good thing.  You’re pretty beat up about it and you guys were only together a couple of months, and your Mom didn’t even know her.” Brian said as he opened a can of soda.

 

“Yeah well, you wouldn’t understand.” AJ said as he flipped his lighter in his hand.

“You’re right I don’t, you two barely knew each other.” Brian said with a shrug. 

 

“You know there are different levels of knowing someone, being there for someone, and what the fuck do you know about how much we knew each other.”  AJ said his voice rising.

 

“Calm down.” Kevin said finally talking again.

 

“Well then tell him to shut up about shit he knows nothing about.” AJ replied angrily.

 

“Brian back off.” Kevin said to his cousin.

 

“Fine” Brian said standing up and leaving.

 

“Later prick.” AJ mumbled under his breath but Kevin heard him.

 

After dinner AJ went home and opened a new bottle of Jack.  He called a friend and soon he added some coke to the mix.  Sitting in the living room AJ got drunker and drunker and soon he was on the phone calling her.  Her machine picked up.

 

“Where are you? I miss you so much” He slurred into the phone.  “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to say goodbye.  I’m worried about you, please don’t shut me out.”  Waiting a minute he listened, waiting to see if she picked up the phone but there was nothing.  “Evie?” He waited some more.  “Eve?” AJ said one more time, when there still was no answer he sighed and hung up the phone. 

 

Lying back on his couch he fought the tears that so desperately wanted to get out.  As he fought them his anger and frustration rose to a bursting level, he looked around for something anything, all he found was his glass half full of JD.  Picking it up, screamed at the top of his lungs and he chucked it across the room.  As the pieces shattered against the wall AJ collapsed onto the couch. The tears he fought won and came rushing out.  He put his head in his hands trying to understand what happened.

 

AJ fell asleep that way for the next three nights, minus the glass tossing.  This night was no different than any other night.  He lied on the couch bottle in one hand, smoke in the other, and just stared at the ceiling.  Just getting back from Howie’s he had just open the bottle and waited anxiously for the buzz to kick in and too take him away.  Putting out his smoke AJ laid his head back on the arm of the couch and sighed.  He had only closed his eyes for a moment when a dream popped into his head and he was asleep. 

 

As he dreamt he kept hearing the same sound over and over again.  A very quick tapping sound and then music, and then more tapping and music, and then it repeated.  Suddenly he found himself out of the dream and back on his couch as his new cell phone vibrated on top of the table, moving ever so slowly as the vibration carried it.  Then his ring tone went off and he realized that was the same music he kept hearing in his dream.  Rubbing his eyes and shaking the cob webs from his head he reached for his phone and answered.

 

“Hello?” He spoke half tired.

 

“Hello, you have a collect call from….” The automated voice said.

 

“Eve.”  Her voice was quiet and then got louder and shaky. “It’s Eve.”

 

“If you accept these charges press one now.” The voice said and AJ quickly pressed one on his cell.

 

“Hello?” AJ said quickly.

 

“Thank you, you will be charged for this call.” The automatic voice continued.

 

“Hello?” AJ said again when he heard another line pick up.  He waited and there we silence.  “Eve, Eve are you there?” He swore it was Eve.  He looked at his watch, the time read six twenty three. The sound of her crying on the other end woke and sobered him in one second. 

 

“Alex?” Her voice broke over the receiver. 

 

“I’m here Eve, what’s wrong, where are you, why are you calling me collect?” He asked all in one breathe.

 

“I don’t know.” She cried.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know?” AJ asked as he tried to listen for some background noise.

 

“I don’t know where I am.” She spoke through her tears.

 

“What?” AJ said confused.

 

“I don’t know where I am.” She said and he heard her getting frustrated.

 

“Are you by your apartment?” He asked as he stood up and headed into the kitchen.

 

“I…I don’t know.” She said.  “I was working and when I went to my car I heard some fighting, I looked up and some guy was standing over Ricky.” AJ stopped dead in his tracks, his hands on his keys.  “I went to get into my car and get away but this van pulled up behind my car and the guy at Ricky came at me, dragged me into the van.”  Eve started crying again and AJ started to shake a little.  “I don’t know where I am Alex,”

 

“Stay on the phone with me ok, try looking around do you see a street sign anything?” He asked as he rushed out of his kitchen and out of his house.

 

AJ jumped into his car and peeled out of his driveway.  He kept talking to her, kept her on the phone, and tried to narrow down where she was.  It didn’t help that he sucked with directions.

 

“I keep seeing buses go by down the street.” She said.

 

“Maybe you’re by the terminal, are they on the left side or right side of you?” He asked.

 

“Left.” She replied. 

 

AJ kept driving until he came to the bus terminal.  He drove past it and then turned up a street.  When he stopped at a four way stop sign, he looked around trying to find her. 

 

“Can you see my car yet?” He asked her.

 

“No” She said quietly.  He decided to go right since there was only a block between him and the terminal on the other side.  He drove down the street slowly as he peered out his window looking for any sign of her.  Then up about another block he saw someone standing at a phone booth.

 

“I think I see you.” AJ said quickly as he felt his foot get heavy on the gas peddle.  He saw the person turn around and he knew it was her. 

 

“I see you.” She said as she started crying. 

 

AJ stopped the car by the booth and got out.  He was about to run up to her when he saw her coming at him.  Her jacket was covered in dirt; her hair was a mess, and her makeup smudge.  As she got closer he realized it wasn’t make up at all but bruises and cuts.  Eve ran into his arms and wrapped hers around him as she broke down crying.  Still shocked by what he saw he slowly wrapped his arms around her too and held her tight.  He stood there with her until he thought she had calmed down enough and he slowly pulled her away. 

 

“I’m going to take you to a hospital ok?” He said as he tried to fix her hair up.  Her eyes were dull, no spark, soaked with tears and dirt, all she did was nod. 

 

AJ got her into his car and he headed to the closes hospital.  He told them what had happened, her calling him and him trying to find her.  He told the doctors he didn’t want to hang up with her to call the police after she told him what happened.

 

“You’ll be here right?” She asked looking at him as they put her in a wheel chair.  He knelt down in front of her and gently touched her face, not wanting to touch the bruises.

 

“I’m not going anywhere.” AJ assured her and as he said it she started crying again. He pulled her into a hug for a moment and let her cry in his arms. The nurse lightly smiled as she wheeled her away to be examined.  He was surprised when the police showed up so fast but that question was answered as he talked to them. 

 

“We just came from Ricky Montezes room, the owner and Ricky reported her missing.” The cop said as he wrote in his notepad.

 

“Is he ok?” AJ asked thinking about the bouncer who was always at the front door of the club. 

 

“Yeah, he has a nasty cut on the head and a concussion but he’ll be ok.” The officer said with a nod.  As they finished writing down the last of their notes a doctor came out.

 

“You gentlemen can talk to her now.” The doctor said as he stopped at the cops.  He started to walk away with the police when AJ stopped them.

 

“Is she ok?” He asked.

 

“Physically yes she’s ok, her face is bruised, some cuts, her ankle is swore, but nothing broken.” The doctor told him.  “Mentally we just don’t know yet.” The doctor told him and then left with the officers.

 

AJ’s face fell as he plopped down in the chair behind him.  Everything started to sink in for him, the phone call, the sound of her voice, the realization of what happened to her and seeing her at the phone booth.  He started to get angry, someone, more than one, hurt her; they hurt her in the worse way possible and it made him furious.

Chapter 13 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                         Chapter Thirteen

 

 

AJ stood at the large glass window staring at the girl in the bed.  He wasn’t sure if she was sleeping or just lying with her eyes closed but he couldn’t bring himself to go into the room.  She went hysterical while the police were interviewing her and the doctors had to sedate her.  What would he say to her? What would he do?  How could he make this better?  He knew he couldn’t, he knew this was something she was going to live with forever.  Live with the memory of being in that van all night with those men, the things they did to her.  His imagination played nasty tricks on him and he found himself running to the bathroom.

 

He stood at the long mirror with rows of sinks under it as he wiped down his face and neck.  Staring at himself in the mirror he worked on pulling himself together.  This wasn’t going to help her, he needed to be strong, and keep himself in control. 

 

Opening the bathroom door AJ walked back out into the hospital hallway and down to her room.  He stopped at the window again and saw she hadn’t moved from the curled up position she was in moments before.  “Maybe she is sleeping.” He thought to himself as he reached for the door.  Slowly he opened it making his way into her room.   AJ walked over to the small chair that sat by her bed, he looked at the bruises on her face, and he closed his eyes, putting his head down.

 

“Alex?” A small whispered came from in front of him and he looked up quickly.

 

“Hey” He said when he saw her lying across from him, her eyes half open.

 

“I’m sorry I left.” Eve said as he saw water gather in her eyes.

 

AJ slid his chair closer to her bed and took her hand, looking her into her eyes.  “You don’t have to be sorry, you didn’t want to stay, and I would never make you do something you didn’t…” He stopped.  “You don’t need to talk about this now Eve.”

 

“I didn’t want to leave.” She said ignoring what he said.  “I wanted to stay; I didn’t want to come back here and back to the club.  I didn’t want to dance for drunk or married men anymore; I didn’t want people looking at me like that anymore, I just wanted you too.”

 

“Then why did you change your mind?” AJ asked. 

 

“Brian” Eve said as she took a deep breathe and stopped her tears.  “Brian said it wasn’t fare to put you through what was going to happen when people found out about me.” 

 

“When did he tell you this?” AJ asked as he felt his blood pressure rising.

 

“The night I left, while you were in the shower and getting dressed.” She told him.  “It made me think that if they’re looking things up about me they’ll find out what happened, and I can’t deal with that, with it always in my face.”  Eve let go of his hand and gently brushed the tips of her fingers down the back of it.  “I got scared, freaked out; I’m not good at this stuff.  I’ve never felt this way about anyone.  I don’t want to hurt you, you’ve given me so much, I just…I just don’t want to hurt you Alex.”

 

AJ slid his arm under her neck and gently pulled her towards him.  He wrapped her in his arms as she cried.  His hand gently stroked the back of her head, his fingers drifting through her hair.  All the furry he felt for Brian was gone at the moment.  The only thing that mattered right now was her.

 

“We will worry about this later.” He told her as they pulled away.  “Right now just know that I’ll be here as long as you need me, ok?”

 

Eve lightly nodded and AJ smiled back softly.  He brushed her hair behind her ear and lightly kissed her forehead, being careful not to unknowingly upset her.  With his arms on her bed, her hand in his he rested his head on his arms as the two of them just lied there.  Eventually Eve fell asleep but AJ didn’t move as he laid there, staring, watching, not letting her out of his site.

 

A light knock at the door broke him from his gaze and he looked over as he sat up.  “Ted.” AJ said when he saw the tall man standing at the door.

 

“Is she awake?” He asked as the door closed behind him.

 

“No, she fell asleep a little while ago.” AJ told him as he sat back in the chair.

 

“The police filled me in on what happened.  I just came from Ricky’s room.” Ted told him as he stared at Eve.  “I don’t know what happened to you two but I’m glad you’re here with her.”  AJ lightly smiled not sure what to say back too him.

 

“How has she been since she came back?” AJ asked the only thing that popped in his head at the time.

 

“Slipping.” Ted said with a sigh.  “She started drinking at the club, she never did that always drank at home, and she came in drunk a couple of times.  Seems of late the only way she’ll get on stage is if she got a couple of drinks in her.”

 

AJ looked back at Eve remembering what she had said to him about not wanting to dance anymore.  “Have they found anyone or the van?” AJ asked.

 

“They found the van a couple of blocks away.” Ted said.  “Nothing on the people that did it yet.  They’re pretty sure it was two, one who knocked out Ricky and grabbed her and the one driving.

 

“Sounds like it was planned.” AJ said as he looked at Ted shocked.

 

“I never thought anything like this would happen, but I knew something would.  She’s my best dancer but she’s not like the other girls.  Guys who come to clubs like mine expect a certain thing from the girls and when they don’t get it, they get violent.”  Ted told him as AJ listened.  “When she met you and started seeing you, I relaxed a little, I thought she’d get out soon, since she had someone to give her the attention she wanted, she deserved.”

 

The sound of Eve screaming made both men jump and they looked at her shocked a little.  She screamed for someone to get off of her and AJ realized she was in a nightmare or waking up from one.  Quickly he made his way to her bed and sat down on the side, he grabbed at her failing arms, trying to calm her.

 

“Eve” AJ said attempting to get her attention. 

 

“Let me go!” She yelled. “Let me go!”

 

“Evie, it’s me.” AJ said when he took her face in her hands.  “Look Evelyn I’m right here.” 

 

Her eyes locked on his and it was enough to stop her, get her too look around and realize she was in the hospital.  As the realization set in and she quickly relived everything in her head she started crying, and AJ was there to pull her in and hold her.

 

“It’s ok darlin.” AJ said as he slowly rocked her, her face buried in against his chest, and she held on to him as tight as she could.  “You’re safe now Eve, no one’s going to hurt you.” He told her as he heard the room door clicked close.  Slowly he looked back and saw that Ted had left.  He looked back at Eve; his heart sank at how truly alone she was. 

 

“Why?” She mumbled out as she pulled away from him.  “Why did they do this to me?” She asked looking at him.  Tears welled up in his eyes and he picked up a piece of her hair in his fingers. 

 

“I don’t know Eve.” He said looking at her.  “I wish I could tell you, wish I could make the memories go away, make the pain go away but I can’t.”  She laid her head back against his chest and he held her closer to him.

 

Within a couple of minutes she was back asleep and he gently laid her down on her pillow.  He sat there for a moment, his thumb stroking around her IV.  Her knuckles were scratched up a bit and there were still spots of dirt around her nails.

 

“God Eve I’m so sorry.” He said he wiped his eye and slowly shook his head.  “You didn’t deserve this.”

 

Sliding his phone out of his pocket he slowly got off the bed.  He walked out of her room and down to the waiting room, where it was ok to use your cell phone.  After dialing he put the phone to his ear and waited.

 

“AJ, where the hell have you been, I’ve been calling your house, your cell and nothing.” Kevin said as soon as he picked up.

 

“I’ve been at the hospital.” AJ said.

 

“What!” Kevin yelled.

 

“I’m fine dude, I’m fine, it’s Eve.” AJ said as he ran his fingers through his hair.

 

“What’s wrong?” Kevin asked and AJ heard sincerity in his voice.

 

He took a deep breathe and then began to tell Kevin about the phone call that woke him up.  About the search he went on and then ending up here.  He left out any points about what happened to her that he could; only giving him what he needed to know.  Kevin was smart he could figure it out.

 

“Alex I dunno what to say.” Kevin said saddened.

 

“I’m staying here until she can leave and I’m thinking of taking her to my place, I think she’d feel safer there.  They knew what time she got out, they knew someone was on the door, they probably know where she lives and my place can be locked down.”  AJ said as he looked at the clock.  “I need you to keep Brian away from me and I mean it.”

 

“Look I don’t think Brian will give you a hard time about this.” Kevin said quickly.

 

“He had a talk with Eve the night she left Kevin.  A talk that made her second guess everything.  I don’t want to see or hear from him right now, all I care about is her and getting her through this as best I can.”

 

“Ok.” Kevin replied. 

 

“I need to go; I need to get back to her room.” AJ told him.  “I’ll call later.”

 

“Alright man, try and take it easy.” Kevin said. 

 

“Bye.” AJ said and he pressed end on his cell.

 

When he walked back into her room he was relieved to see she was still fast asleep.  He pulled up the chair and sat down, stretching his legs out under her bed, lying back as best he could and settled in for the night.

Chapter 14 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                        Chapter Fourteen

 

 

AJ pulled into the underground parking lot of the hospital.  He had just come back from his place. Going there to shower, eat, change into some new clothes and tidy up since the doctors said she will most likely be able to go home later today.  Entering the building he walked right over to the elevators and made his way up to her floor.  The bell dinged and AJ stepped out as the doors opened. As he walked down the hall towards Eve’s room he saw someone standing outside, looking in her window.  He doubled checked to see if he could recognize the person but he didn’t and his alarm immediately went off.

 

“Hey!” AJ shouted down the hall and the man looked over, along with some other people.  The man’s face went to panic when he saw AJ and he took off down the hall away from Eve’s room.

 

AJ started running after him and watched him disappear behind the stairwell door.  He slammed into the door and it went flying open.  Looking over the railing he saw the man running down the grey stairwell. 

 

“Hey!” AJ yelled again and the man looked up.  He tried to catch up as he skipped steps down but when he went flying out of the door to the outside, he had lost him.  Swearing to himself he walked around to the doors he could enter from and made his way back up stairs.  When he got there he found an officer and told him what happened, the cop placed a call into the detectives that were working the case and soon police were scoping the building out. 

 

AJ gave them a description of what the guy looked like and told them what happened but that was the best he could do and he felt like a failure. When they were finished he walked into Eve’s room and saw her sitting on the bed.

 

“What’s going on out there?” She asked hearing the commotion and seeing the police before the door closed.

 

“Nothing for you to worry about.” AJ said as he walked over to her.

 

“Alex.” She said looking at him.

 

“Someone was outside of your room, I didn’t recognize him and when I tried to get his attention he took off.  I tried to chase him but he got away, the cops are out looking for him now.” AJ told her and he saw the look from yesterday come back.  “They’re putting an officer outside your door; I’m here, so you have nothing to worry about.”

 

“What happens when I leave?” She asked.

 

“You’ll go to my place, I’ll even call up my security team and we’ll work something out.”  AJ told her taking her hand.

 

“Alex I don’t think…” He stopped her.

 

“I get how you’re worried about people finding out about your Brother and Mom, I do, but we can work something out and as far as Brian goes, he’s a prick.” AJ said too her.  “He doesn’t know anything about you, he doesn’t know you, and he doesn’t know what we have, so anything he says is invalid.  If he can’t see past the dancer and see what an amazing, talented, strong, loving woman you are then that’s his problem.”

 

            “I miss you.” She said with a sniff.

 

            “I miss you too sweetheart, a lot.” AJ told her.  “I miss our talks, our movie nights; I miss the way we’d lay on the couch.” He said.  She looked down at her blankets and AJ got up and sat on the edge of her bed.  “I miss watching you when you sleep.”  He turned her head and looked into her eyes. 

 

            “Do we really belong together?” She asked.  “I’ve done nothing with my life to deserve you.”

 

            “Maybe you don’t but someone up there does.”  He said as he lightly brushed the back of his hand down her cheek.  “It’s safer at my house, I can keep an eye on you better at my house, please Eve.”

 

            She sat there a moment not saying anything and then she lightly nodded.  “Ok.” She agreed and AJ smiled in the small victory.

 

            “I’m going to go talk to a nurse or doctor, see when we can get you out of here.” AJ told her as he helped her lay down.  “Just relax I’ll be back ok?”  Eve nodded and he kissed her hand and left the room.

 

            When he found a doctor he was glad to here that she could leave, they were finishing up her papers now and she’d be allowed to go home in a half hour.  She was just as happy to be able to get out of there when he told her she’d be leaving soon.  As she got ready he went to the waiting room and called Kevin, letting him know she was able to leave and he’d be at his house.  When he got back to her room, the nurse said she could go.

 

“Are you hungry?” He asked as they drove down a street.  “We could go get something at a drive thru.”

 

“No thanks, I’m not hungry right now.” Eve said with a light smile.

 

“You’ve ate hardly anything.” AJ said as he quickly looked over at her.  “A salad or something? I can go to a café.”

 

“I’m fine really, I’ll eat later.” She said looking out the passenger window.  “Do you think someone is following us?” She asked looking into her side mirror.

 

“No” AJ said looking into the review mirror.  “If anything it’s a detective.”

 

“How can you tell though?” She asked looking at him.

 

“Eve relax, we’re not being followed.” AJ said as he took her hand and looked at her and then back to the road.  “We’re almost there.”

 

Eve didn’t say anything else the rest of the ride home and when they got inside she went right to the couch and laid down.  AJ frowned as he looked at her.  He walked into his living room and set his cell and keys down on the end table.

 

“Do you need anything?” He asked as he stood by the door way.

 

“A bath.” She said as she stared at the table.  “I want to have a bath.”

 

“Ok, I’ll go start the water for you.”  AJ said as she stood up. 

 

He walked upstairs and into the main bathroom.  He turned on the water and waited till he got the right temperature.  Standing up he walked over to the towel closet and pulled out a large fluffy towel.  When he heard someone at the door he looked up and saw Eve standing in the doorway with her bag.

 

“It’s all ready.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“Thanks.” She said as she walked in.

 

“I’ll be in my room if you need anything else.” He told her as he walked out and closed the door behind him.  Just as he lied down on his bed his house phone rang so he reached over answered it.

 

“What’s up?” He asked when he saw Kevin’s name on the phone.

 

“Just called to see how things were.” Kevin asked.

 

“Fine right now, she’s having a bath; we just got in not to long ago.” AJ told him as he sat up against his head board.

 

“Any word on the guys that did it?” Kevin asked.

 

“Nope.” AJ said deciding it was better to leave the mini chase out, he just didn’t want to hear Kevin telling him how stupid it was and he should have found a cop. 

 

“How are you doing?” The man on the other end asked.

 

“I’m fine.” AJ replied.

 

“Alex, I wouldn’t be fine if someone I cared about was going through this, hell if it was Kris I’d be loosing my fucking mind man.” Kevin told him as AJ picked at his nail.

 

“I really don’t want to talk about it right now.” AJ said.

 

“You need to talk about this and I’m sure you don’t want to go to your mom.” Kevin said to him.

 

“What do you want me say?” He asked.  “Tell you how helpless I feel right now, there’s nothing I can do for her, I can’t take her memories away, I can’t make the pain go away, I can’t make that beautiful smile come back.” AJ said as he felt himself starting to lose it.  “All I want to do is take her in my arms and tell her everything’s going to be ok, she’s going to be fine, but I can’t because even I know what a crock of shit that is.”

 

“I’m sure you’re doing enough by helping her, what you’re doing for her now.” Kevin told him.

 

“Yeah I’m sure running her bath water will make it all better.” AJ snapped.  “Look dude I need to go.”

 

“Ok well call me, keep me updated.” Kevin said before they said goodbye and hung up.

 

He sat on the bed collecting his thoughts and he wondered if he should knock on the door to check on her.  Deciding to give her a few more minutes he stretched back out on his bed.  Closing his eyes he tried to clear his mind but he couldn’t.  Thoughts of her in the van clouded him, thoughts of what she went through, and thoughts on what he would do if he ever got a hold of one of them, any of them.

 

The sound of the bathroom door opening broke him from his thoughts and he saw her walk out into the hall.  She was wrapped tight in her robe and her hair hung wet and messy around her face.  Eve walked into his room and crawled onto his bed to the usual spot where she slept. 

 

“Are you hungry yet?” He asked.

 

“No” She said as she lightly shook her head.  AJ didn’t like the fact she wasn’t eating but the doctor said it would be normal for a couple of days and to try and get as much fluids as possible, getting her to eat whenever he could.

 

 “Do you need anything from your place; I can drive over and get it?” He asked her, trying to help any ways possible.

 

“No” She said quickly. “Don’t leave.”

 

“Ok.” AJ replied reassuring her, he took her hand and strummed his thumb across the back of it.  “What did Brian say to you?” Eve lightly sighed as she played with a small part of his blanket.

 

“He came into the lounge and asked if I was enjoying myself.” She began to tell him as she slowly sat up.  “I asked him what he meant and he asked me again, saying that when the fans and media find out they would turn your life into hell because I’m a stripper, they would never let you live it down.”  She looked down at his thumb. “He told me it might look like a nice set up for a girl like me but it wouldn’t be worth hurting you over.”

 

“I see.” AJ said remaining as calm as he could.

 

“Later that night I couldn’t sleep because I kept thinking what if he was right.  I didn’t want to hurt something you had worked so hard for and something you still work hard for.”  She told him as he listened.  “I will always be a stripper I can’t run away from that.”  A tear dripped onto the sheet.

 

“But you can move on.” AJ said as his thumb slid down her middle finger.

 

“Maybe two days ago I could have.” She said quietly.  “But not now.”

 

He sat up when he saw her starting to shake.  “Evelyn?” AJ said as he gently placed his hands on the side of her arms.  The bruises still evident on her face, his eyes fell in pain and he reached up letting his fingers softly brush down her face. 

 

“I feel like I’m out of control.” Her voice cracked.  “I had control.” She said with a hint of anger.  “I danced and they watched but they took it.  They took it and I can never get it back.” 

 

A smashing sound was heard and within a second his alarm went off.  Eve jumped and so did he as they looked at each other.  AJ started to get up but Eve grabbed at him and shook her head.

 

“Stay here the bathroom door locks.” AJ said to her as he took her carefully by the arms.

 

“Alex.” Eve said in a shaky voice.

 

“Just stay here.” He whispered as he let her go and headed out of his room.  He closed the door over and slowly walked down the hall.  Slowly he peered around the corner down the stairs as his alarm squealed.  Step by step he made his way down, then out of no where someone came running up the stairs at him and knocked him down, hitting his head as he fell.  The figure continued up the stairs as AJ sat dazed on the steps but the sound of his door smashing open and Eve’s screams was enough to wake him back up.  He fumbled to get his footing as he tried to climb the steps.  A smashing sound came from his room and he could hear the sounds of a scuffle.

 

“Eve!” AJ shouted as he got to the top and turned down the hall.  He ran into the room and looked around quickly.  A quick shout was heard from his bathroom and he dashed at the door.  

 

AJ stopped dead under the door way as he saw the man who had broken in on top of Eve.  He grabbed the guy by the back of his dark shirt and dragged him out of the room.  Now was his chance, now was the time to get out all the anger and hate for the people who had hurt her.  He grunted as he tossed the man with everything he had into the dresser, the man slamming head first into it.  Quickly AJ stepped over to him and grabbed him from around the front of his shirt and started punching him, not even caring the man was still wearing his mask. 

 

Then someone grabbed him from behind and pulled him away.  He shouted for them to let him go, he wasn’t even close to done yet but then he saw the detective and a bunch of cops run at the guy and roll him over, arresting him.

           

            “Eve” AJ said quickly remembering her in the bathroom.  The officer let him go and he ran to the door.  She was on the floor crying as a female police officer tried to calm her down.  Slowly he walked over and knelt down.  When she saw him she grabbed onto him tightly.  Her crying was almost as hysterical as when she entered the hospital.  AJ closed his eyes; he couldn’t even keep her safe in his own home.

 

“Mr. Mclean.” One of the detectives said and AJ turned to look at him.  He motioned for AJ too join him.   “Do you know this man?” He asked as AJ approached the bedroom.  An officer turned the man who had broken in around and AJ finally saw his face.  His blood pressure rose, his hands closed into fists and he stared long and hard at his friend Mats.

 

“You.” AJ said as he stepped forward but the detective stopped him. “You were my friend, you were her friend!” AJ yelled at him

 

“She’s not so special now is she.” Mats said eyes locked on AJ.  AJ tried again to lunge at Mats but the detective stopped him again.

 

“Get him out of here.” The man holding AJ said and the two cops yanked Mats out of the room.

Chapter 15 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                          Chapter Fifteen

 

 

The room was dark with nothing but a small beam of moonlight seeped in.  It was quiet; the only sound was that of AJ as he sat on his couch drinking a bottle of Jack.  He sniffed and wiped his eyes as he put the bottle to his lips and tossed his head back.  Taking two big gulps he pulled the bottle away and set it down. 

 

Everything was hitting him and hitting him hard.  What happened to Eve, seeing her the way she was, finding out Mats was one of the men involved, and learning how Brian had treated Eve on tour and what it lead her to do.

 

He turned his head a little and listened when he thought he heard someone coming down the stairs.  Then he heard the small footsteps of bare feet walking across his hallway floor.  AJ looked back at the bottle of Jack as Eve came around the corner.

 

“What are you doing up?” She asked as she walked over to the couch.

 

“Can’t sleep so I’m having a drink.” He said as he picked up the bottle.  “It’s the only thing I seem to be able to do.”

 

“What do you mean?” Eve asked as she sat down beside him.  AJ took another drink from the bottle. “Alex” She said as she took the bottle from him and set it on the coffee table.

 

“I feel helpless.” AJ said as he looked at her.  “You’re in so much pain and there’s nothing I can do, I’m the one that’s suppose to be able to make you feel safe, and how can I when my own friend…” He stopped and put his head down.  “And Brian…fuck don’t get me started on him.  All I asked was for him to keep his fucking mouth shut and get to know you, could he do that? No.”

 

AJ reached for the bottle and took two gulps from it.  When he put the bottle down it banged against the wood.  He felt her hand take his again, her fingers drifted between his, but he didn’t want to look at her, if he did he was pretty sure he’d lose it even more.  His arm moved and he felt his hand wrap around the side of her neck.  Slowly he turned his head and looked at her.  Eyes closed she rested his hand there and he couldn’t help but brush his thumb along her jaw line.  She felt so good to touch again, her skin was soft and warm.  Her hair brushed against the back of his fingers as he drifted his thumb lightly down her cheek.

 

“Do you know how I feel?” Her voice cracked as she held his hand against her neck.

 

“No” AJ said lightly shaking his head.

 

“Empty.” She told him as she opened her eyes and looked at him.  “I don’t feel anything and I don’t like being this way Alex.” Eve looked down closing her eyes as a tear dripped from her lashes.  “I feel like I don’t belong anymore, like I’m out of place.”

 

“Eve” AJ said sadly as he turned to face her better.

 

“And you’re the only one who can fix it.” She said as she looked back to him.  “You’re the only one who can make the emptiness disappear; you’re the only one who can make me feel something.”

 

AJ watched her cry not sure what to do, slowly he wiped the tears from her face, and was about to pull her into his arms for a hug when she stopped him.  Her hand lightly but firmly laid flat against his chest and she looked up at him with tear soaked eyes.  He wondered if even a hug was too much for her to handle right now.

 

“Show me.” She whispered as they looked at each other.  “Show me that I can be loved, that I’m not someone’s thing that can be used and tossed away.  Show me that I can feel again, that I’m not dead, and that I won’t be this way forever.” He looked at her; he didn’t want to push her, even if she was asking him too but he saw the pain on her face, in her eyes.

 

Then without giving it another thought he leaned into her and kissed her.  All his emotions came running at him at once; it had been a while since his lips were against hers.  Her hand slid slowly down his shirt, her fingers crawled under it and the touch of her finger tips on his skin sent goose bumps all over his body.  When Eve moved her lips from his and placed them on his neck, AJ scooped her up in his arms, carried her out of the living room and up to his room.

 

Gently he laid her onto the bed and slid in under the covers next to her.  They started kissing again as he let his hand slide down her side to her hip.  Slowly he lifted her shirt and slid his hand around her waist.  He took his time, making sure she had plenty of time to stop him if she needed to but she didn’t.  Eve let him undress her and she let him make love to her.  Now they both lied on his bed wrapped in his sheets. 

 

“Eve?” AJ said quietly wondering if she was still awake as she slept with her back to his front, wrapped in his arms.

 

“Mmm?” She mumbled as he lifted his head up.  Gently he pulled her hair from her neck and softly kissed the side of it.  His lips brushed passed her ear and he let the words escape from his mouth.

 

“I love you” He whispered.  She mumbled and he lightly smiled as he added two more kisses to the side of her neck and the back of her shoulder as he laid his head down on his pillow.

 

The next morning AJ woke up before Eve and let her sleep as he got dressed.  He went downstairs and called someone to come fix the back door window.  While he was in the kitchen someone knocked on his door and he went to answer it.

 

“Hungry?” Kevin said holding up a bag of food.

 

“Starving.” AJ said grabbing the bag and leaving the door open for Kevin to come in.  “Bolt lock it when you close it.” AJ told him as he walked into the kitchen. 

 

“Ok you bolt lock your door now? With the alarm off?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“No, but I can’t turn my alarm back on until my window is fixed so the guys can come in and put new alarm wires on it, then get my alarm turned back on.”  AJ said as he pulled a sandwich out of the bag.

 

“Wait what do you mean get your window fixed?” Kevin asked and he looked at AJ’s kitchen windows.  That’s when he saw the board covering the one near the end of the room.  “What the hell happened?”

 

“One of the guys broke in last night, went after Eve.” AJ said as he sat down.

 

“Is she ok, are you ok?” Kevin asked quickly.

 

“Yeah I think she’s ok, I’m fine, been better if the cops weren’t so damn close and I could of beat the fuck outta him some more.” AJ said remembering punching Mats. 

 

“Well at least they caught one.” Kevin said with a light nod.

 

“It was Mats.” AJ said looking at the island.  “It was fucking Mats.” His fist pounded on the marble.

 

“Like your friend Mats?” Kevin asked.  “Didn’t he introduce the two of you?”

 

“Yeah, I don’t get it; I didn’t think he would be the one to get all jealous.” AJ said confused on the whole topic.

 

“Damn man.” Kevin said sadly.  “How are you doing?”

 

“Last night I was hanging by a thread.” AJ said as he started to eat. 

 

“And now?” Kevin asked worried.  AJ finished the piece that was in his mouth as he thought about the night before.  “I’m holding on; ask me in a couple of more days.” He said with a light smile.  “But we need to talk about Brian.”

 

“Yeah I figured.” Kevin said with a sigh and AJ looked at him confused.   “When you told me he talked to her I called him, drilled him to see what he said to her, he told me, and all I gotta say is he may be my Cousin but I can hold him down for you.”

 

“Thanks.” AJ said with a smirk.

 

The two talked while AJ ate the sandwich Kevin had brought, he left a chicken salad for Eve hoping she would eat today.  An hour after Kevin arrived he left, letting AJ know he’d be back over later to check up on things, see if AJ needed anything.  He went back into the kitchen and put away the Chicken Salad into the fridge, when he heard a terrified scream from upstairs.  Quickly he ran up his steps two by two and down the hall.  He flew into his room and saw Eve crashing into his dresser but no one was around.  She screamed that someone was on her as she failed her arms around. 

 

AJ ran over to her, grabbing her arms as he knelt down in front of her.  “Hey” AJ said getting her attention.  Her face was beat red, sweaty and she breathed heavily as AJ tried to calm her down.  “Look Eve see, I’m right here, you’re home, you’re safe.” He told her as he brushed her bangs out of her eyes.

 

“Home?” Eve whimpered as she started to look around.

 

“Just a dream Eve.” AJ told her as he placed his hand on the side of her neck.

 

“It wasn’t a dream it happened.” Eve said looking at him.

 

“I know” AJ said sadly.  

 

AJ picked her up and brought her back over to the bed.  He sat on the edge cradling her in his arms, gently rocking himself and telling her over and over that it was going to be ok as she whimpered.  A few minutes later she sat quiet and he slowly pulled her away, thinking she was sleeping but she wasn’t.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.” She said as she looked up at him.

 

“You didn’t scare me, I’m just worried.” AJ told her as she laid her head back on his shoulder.  “Are you ok now?” He asked and she nodded.  “Can I get you to eat?” She didn’t say anything.  “Please Evie, you need to eat something.”

 

A moment later she pulled her head off his shoulder.  “Ok.” She agreed.  That brought a little bit of the weight off his shoulders and he lightly smiled as she got up.  He walked her downstairs and sat her in the living room and brought the food to her, thinking it would make it easier if she didn’t see the broken window.

 

He sat on the couch and watched her eat, thinking, wondering why he woke up this morning thinking she would be ok, that the night they spent together would make everything go away.  Maybe because he wanted it too, he just wanted to see her smile again, too hear her laugh again and too see the spark that they took away. 

 

“I can’t eat anymore.” She said as AJ sat up.  He looked at the half eatin bowl of Salad.

 

“Ok” He nodded.  Slowly she stood up and he looked at her a little confused.  “Are you ok?”

 

“Yeah” She nodded as she turned to look at him.  “Just going to have a bath and get dressed.”

 

“Oh ok” AJ said with a light smile.  He noticed it looked like she wanted to say something but she turned around and walked upstairs.

 

           

Chapter 16 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                         Chapter Sixteen

 

 

 “Eve?” A small woman with dark red hair said from across the room.  AJ looked up at the woman and then to Eve.  She was looking back at him with worry in her eyes.

 

“It’s ok, I’ll be right here when you get out.” AJ told her taking her hand.  “See Sports Illustrated, swim suit edition.” He said with a bright smile, and she lightly laughed.

 

It had been about two days since the break in and they were at a psychiatrist.  It was something the doctors at the hospital and the DA wanted her to do.  He knew she was nervous about it but he told her it would help her.  She looked back at him before she went in and he flashed her another smile, reassuring her it was going to be ok.  When the door closed behind them he lightly sighed to himself and returned his attention back to the magazine.

 

An hour later Eve was coming out of the room with the doctor and AJ wasn’t surprised when he saw the expression on her face.  “She wants to talk to you.” Eve told him as she picked up her jacket. 

 

“Eve said you wanted to see me.” AJ asked as he walked up to the doctor.  “Is she ok, I mean I know she’s not ok but…” AJ stopped figuring it was just easier too.

 

“She’s fine.” The doctor said with a light smile.  “She has a strong head on her shoulders but she will need more sessions, my nurse will call you with the next date.”

 

“Ok.” AJ said with a nod.  “Thank you.”  The doctor lightly smiled and went back into her office.

 

“How was it?” AJ asked when she joined Eve in the hallway.

 

“It sucked and she said I need to go more.” Eve sighed.  AJ smiled sympathetically as he wrapped his arm behind her.

 

“So home now?” He asked knowing the answer would be yes.

 

“I need to go to my place.” Eve said as they stopped at the elevators.

 

“Are you sure Cause you can write me a list.” AJ told her.

 

“No it’s ok.” She replied with a small smile.

 

They arrived at her apartment and went inside.  “I won’t be long.” She told him as she went into her room.  He walked over to the living room and sat down on the couch, it brought back the memory of the first night he spent with her. 

 

A sharp pain ripped through his head and then just as fast it was gone.  Nothing surrounded him, emptiness around him he found himself not being able to do anything, and then a sound, a voice calling to him.  His eyes fluttered open as the pain returned along with new places that hurt.

 

“Wake up Fuck head.” A familiar voice said and then he felt something hit his side hard.  AJ gasped in pain and then started coughing as his lungs tried to get the air back.  He rolled to his side and forced his eyes open.  “There we go.” The voice said as a figure stood over him.  As his eyes began to focus he saw who it was talking to him, Mats.  Quickly AJ tried to get up but he fell to the floor.  It made his senses tune in and he realized he was tied up.  “Careful.” Mats said with a smile as he looked over his shoulder.  AJ followed his gaze right to Eve being held in a chair, her mouth gagged, crying and looking at AJ terrified but he wasn’t sure if she was scared for herself or him.  “Wouldn’t want to do something you’d regret.” Mats said looking back at him. “Or she would regret.”

 

“I’m going to…”

 

“Going to what AJ kill me? Don’t think you’re in the position to be yelling out threats.” Mats said as he stood up.

 

“The police will…”

 

“The police will do sweet fuck all. I’m out on bail and apparently not important enough to watch.” Mats told him as he grabbed for AJ’s arm.  He tried to fight Mats from standing him up but he was thrown down into a chair. 

 

Mats walked over to Eve, he knelt down beside her and leaned in real close.  The closer he got the higher AJ’s blood pressure rose, the more he wanted to lunge from the chair and attack his former friend.

 

“Don’t you fucking touch her!” AJ yelled.

 

“Too late” Mats said with a sinister smirk. Eve sat there terrified, crying, shaking as she looked at AJ. “You know how many girls he’s loved, you know how many girls he broke off engagements too? Poor Eve thought she was special.”  Mats whispered as he looked at AJ. 

 

“I treated you good didn’t I Evie?” Mats asked as his hand slid up her leg. He stood her up and grabbed her from around the waist.  She whimpered in fear as she stood face to face with him.  “Why wasn’t I good enough, why didn’t you take me into the booths, go home with me, why couldn’t it be us making love in your bed.”

 

“Mats I swear to fucking god!” AJ shouted but his friend ignored him.

 

“Didn’t I make you feel special in the van?” He whispered and Eve felt his lips on her neck, she closed her eyes tight and cried out as her body started to collapse but Mats held her up.  When AJ saw Mats kiss her neck he lost it.  AJ started yelling and jumping in his seat trying to get someone’s, anyone’s attention.

 

“Hey!!” Mats yelled and AJ stopped.  His face fell in terror when he saw Mats standing across from him and a gun pointed right at Eve’s head.  “I thought I said don’t be stupid.” AJ stared at her watching her tremble.

 

“Now that he’s calmed down lets have us a show.” Mats said as he looked at Eve. “Sorry we can’t play your song baby but it’s a private party.”  He stood there looking at her as AJ shook his head.  “Dance” Mats said looking at Eve.  She shook her head no.  “Right, can’t dance all tied up.” Mats said with a light smile.  He walked over and untied her, she took a step at him but he shoved her down and pointed the gun at AJ.  “I said dance.” He said raising his eyebrow slightly.  She looked at him terrified like she was trapped in a corner. “DANCE!!” Mats shouted in anger.

 

“Don’t.” AJ said looking at her as she stood up. 

 

“Oh Jesus AJ really?” Mats moaned.  “You know she didn’t seem all that special to me in the back of the van, but fuck dude she’s got you.  You’re willing to get your brains blown out over a fucking stripper.”  He said as he knelt down beside AJ.  Slowly AJ’s head turned and he looked at him eye to eye and then within a flash of a millisecond snapped his head forward, head butting his old friend. 

 

Mats yelled in pain as he fell back onto the floor.  AJ then scrambled to get out of the chair and fell to the floor.  He felt someone over top of him and he looked up, seeing Mats raising the gun at him.  Just as AJ winced expecting the shot to come out any minute, for everything to go black any second Mats whimpered in pain and then dropped to the floor in front of him.

 

“Eve” AJ sighed when he saw her standing over him with a bat in her hands.  She knelt down and quickly helped him untie himself.   As soon as his arms were free he reached for her, pulling her into a very tight embrace.  “Are you ok sweetheart did he hurt you?”

 

“No” She said as she shook her head.  “Are you ok?” She asked worried.

 

AJ was about to answer when he got shoved down to the ground, quickly he looked up and saw Mats over him.  Then Mats turned around and grabbed Eve as she went for the bat she used against him the first time.  In one motion Mats had picked up his gun and grabbed Eve holding her around her chest, trapping her arms against her body.

 

“Don’t fucking play hero!” Mats yelled holding the gun at her as AJ stood up.

 

“Let him go.” Eve gasped out.  “You want me so let Alex go please.”  Eve pleaded.

 

“Very sweet Eve but no.” Mats said as he pulled her tighter against him.  “He took you away from me and now he’s going to go through the same pain I went through watching you two.” He drifted the gun down her chest between her breasts.  “He’s going to know what it’s like to see someone he cares about go off and fuck someone else.”

 

Mats eyes drifted down Eve’s body and AJ took that moment of distraction to lunge for the gun.  As Mats reacted to AJ grabbing the hand his gun was in Eve got shoved to the ground.  With one hand on the gun AJ punched Mats with his free hand and both men fell to the ground.  Standing up he reached for Mats and grabbed him by the front of his shirt and head butted him again.  Mats stuck his arm out and stopped the second shot.  AJ felt his grip on Mats let go and both men went stumbling back.

 

As Mats returned to his feet something caught AJ’s eye and he looked over to his right.  He saw the gun sitting by the chair leg on the floor.  Quickly AJ scrambled for it and grabbed it in his hands but a shoe came down on his fingers and he shouted in pain.  Grabbing Mats ankle AJ pulled as hard as he could with his free hand and took Mats legs out from under neither him.  He heard Mats shout in pain when the man hit the floor and AJ immediately jumped on top of him. 

 

“Asshole!” AJ shouted as he grabbed him by the shirt and picked him up, slamming him back down against the floor.  “You took her!” AJ shouted.  “You took her smile from me!” He yelled at Mats as his fist slammed into the man’s face over and over. 

 

AJ shouted in pain as he felt Mats fist slam into his side and it caused him to lose his breath and his grip.  It was enough for AJ’s former friend to get leverage on him and shove him to the floor.  He coughed as he tried to catch his breath and then he rolled onto his back.

 

“You’re a tease!” He heard Mats shout.  “You’re a fucking tease, you’re a whore and you deserved everything you got in that van!” Mats continued as AJ looked up as saw his former friend pointing the gun at Eve. 

 

“No” AJ coughed out as he reached for Mats pant leg.  Then he felt a kick to the face, his nose stung in pain, and then a loud bang echoed around the room.

 

“Alex!!” He heard Eve scream and he turned his head to look at her confused on what was going on. She scrambled across the floor towards him only to be shoved to the ground by Mats.  AJ tried to sit up but the room was starting to spin and he was finding it harder to breath.  That’s when he realized his chest was burning and he looked down only to see red where a yellow shirt use to be.  He looked at his hand and saw blood covering his fingers.  The sound of people coming through the door made him relax a little and he watched them run by him and grab Mats as Eve wrestled to get him off of her. 

 

“We have wounded!” A man beside him shouted and AJ looked at him still not sure what was going on.

 

“Alex, Alex?” Eve said as she scrambled across the floor.  He looked at her when he felt her hand take his.  At that moment everything clicked in, the sound, the pain, the blood and he looked at her as she pleaded with the police to get the medics here faster.

 

“Evie?” He whispered as it was the only way he could talk, everything on him felt like it was getting weaker.  When she looked at him he softly smiled.  She started crying again as she leaned down lightly hugging him as best she could and he closed his eyes.

 

“I love you too.” She whispered through her sobs.  He opened his eyes as she sat up when the paramedics came in and looked at her as they moved her away.  It made him lightly smile again.  She was awake that night, or at least awake enough to hear him.   AJ wanted to tell her he’d be ok but as he opened his mouth to say the words everything around him faded into darkness.

Chapter 17 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                       Chapter Seventeen

 

 

His eyes slowly opened like he was waking from a long deep sleep.  He could hear a beeping sound and he started to turn his head to look around.  The walls were white, sterile white, there were monitors around his bed and a long skinny tube coming from on machine into his hand.  He blinked as he realized he was in a hospital and he slowly lifted himself up trying to get comfortable.  The room spun a little and he grabbed his head hoping that would stop it.  When he heard the room door opened he looked up and saw his Mom and Kevin walking in.

 

“Alex” His mother said and he could hear the relief come out as her tears followed.  She went right to him and hugged him, tightly and he winced in pain a little.

 

“Careful.” His extra raspy voice said as she pulled away.

 

“I was so worried; I thought I’d lost you.” Denise said as she wiped her tears away.  “I better go tell the doctor you’re awake.”

 

“How long have I been out?” AJ asked as she got up.

 

“Just a day.” Kevin said as AJ’s mom left the room.  “You lost a lot of blood.” AJ thought back to the last thing he remembered, lying on the floor in Eve’s place.

 

“Eve” AJ said looking at Kevin.  “Is she ok where is she?” AJ asked.

 

“She’s fine Alex, we’ll talk about her later.” Kevin said as Denise and the doctor walked in. 

 

“What’s going on?” AJ asked wondering why Kevin said that but his friend didn’t answer. 

 

The doctor began examining AJ and filling him in on what had happened.  Mats had shot him and he was very lucky.  The bullet missed his heart and major arteries but the problem was his lung which the bullet had clipped and was filling with blood.  The doctor told him he was in surgery for a few hours but they were able to remove the bullet and fix everything up.

 

“We’re going to keep you here one more day for observation, granted everything goes well we will probably be able to let you go home later tomorrow.” The doctor told him when he finished writing in his clip board.

 

“That’s wonderful.” Denise said with a smile as the doctor left.  “I’ll go to your place later tonight and make sure everything is set up for you.”

 

“Where’s Eve.” AJ said before anyone could say anything else.  His Mom didn’t say anything as she walked the doctor out and Kevin shifted on his feet uncomfortably.   “Helloo!” AJ said looking at both of them.

 

“I better call your Uncle let him know you’re awake.” Denise said quickly as she got up and left the room.

 

“What the hell is going on? Where’s Evie?” AJ asked starting to get a little nervous.

 

“She’s fine man.” Kevin said and AJ relaxed a little.  “Eve’s at my place with Kristin.”

 

“Your place?” AJ said confused.

 

“You really shouldn’t worry about this now Alex.” Kevin said wanting to change the subject but AJ wouldn’t let him.

 

“Kevin.” He said in a stone cold tone.

 

“When your Mom got here and found out what happened, she blamed Eve, of course everything had to come out when Denise wanted to know what type of work Eve would be leaving from at two in the morning, Eve told her and Denise lost it.” Kevin said as AJ listened shocked.  “Denise wouldn’t let Eve see you so Eve figured there was no point in hanging around.  Kristin caught her before she had left, she was going to go back to her place, but we both agreed she could stay with us until you woke up and sorted everything out.”

 

“So my Mom’s been a complete bitch too her?” AJ asked.

 

“Alex, I don’t think she meant too, she didn’t know much about Eve, none of us really do and she was dealing with her son almost dying, being shot, she just over reacted.” Kevin said trying to explain.

 

“Can you go get her?” AJ asked.  “I need to see her.”

 

“Sure man.” Kevin said with a nod.  “Don’t be too hard on your Mom, she was scared.”

 

“I know.” AJ said with a light nod.

 

When Kevin left the room AJ sighed as he laid back against his pillows.  The pain still very evident in his chest he winced a little as he let the thought of what had happened sink in.  He lied in his bed with his eyes closed his mind playing back what had happened in Eve’s house.  Coming too and seeing Mats, seeing Eve tied up, fighting with his former friend and then the sound of the gun going off.  Even Eve’s screaming his name rang out in his ears again, like it was happening all over again.

 

The sound of his door opening made him open an eye and he saw his Mom come back into the room.  “All good?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes, he wanted to come out but I told him to wait until we see when you can leave for sure.” She told him as she closed the door.

 

“We need to talk.” AJ said as Denise walked over too him.

 

“Well thankfully we will have lots of time to do that.” Denise said as she sat down beside him.

 

“I mean about Eve.” AJ said.

 

“Oh her.” Denise said with a sigh.

 

“Yes her.” AJ said annoyed at her tone already.  “Look I’m sorry I never said anything to you about her but there were a lot of things I wanted to know first.”

 

“Like how much a date would cost.” Denise replied.

 

“Ma.” AJ said trying to fight the anger.  “Don’t go there, she’s not like that.”

 

“Really? So stripping is her hobby.” His mother snapped.

 

“No she did it because she had too.” AJ snapped back.

 

“Had too? Who has to take their clothes off in front of strangers Alex, none of them have to do anything.” Denise said.

 

AJ closed his eyes and took a deep breath, he knew he had brought this on himself not telling her about Eve but he didn’t tell anyone that much about her, he wanted to get to know her first, wanted to know she was what he wanted before he subjected her to this life.

 

“When she was fifteen her Mother who was a drug addict and an alcoholic killed her brother in a drunken rage.” AJ said as he got his Mom’s attention. “She was fifteen Ma and they put her in Foster care, so she took off met up with an ex friend of her Mom’s and when she was old enough yes she started working in his club.”  Denise sat quietly and AJ waited to see if she was going to say anything.  “When I met her I was told she wasn’t like the rest of the girls, she never went home with anyone from the club and she never did extra things for money.”

 

“Then what about you? What made you so special; I’ll tell you what, your name and your money.” Denise finally spoke up.

 

“No Mom.” AJ replied sternly.

 

“Is that where Kevin went?” Denise asked interrupting him.  “He went to get her didn’t he?”

 

“Yes because I asked him too, I want to see her.” AJ told her.

 

“Well she’s not coming in here while I’m here.” Denise said with some attitude.

 

“Then when she gets here you’ll have to wait in the waiting room.” AJ said as Denise looked at him in shock.  “All I can ask is that you get to know her, Brian didn’t, and I almost lost her because of it, I’m not going to let that happen again especially after everything I’ve been through now.”

 

“She plays with men Alex look at what happened.”

 

“I’m going to let that remark slide because you’re my Mom but she was not at fault for what happened, don’t you get it. Mats was obsessed with her because she wouldn’t go there with him or with anyone and then when we met she stepped out of her box and it drove Mats into jealousy.”

 

“And you almost got killed.” Denise said sadly.

 

“Because I was protecting her and I’d do it again and again if it meant she was safe.” AJ said as he saw his Mom had started to cry.  “Please Ma, give her a chance and see what I see.”  The Mother and Son sat in silence for a bit and then AJ spoke up.  “Where are you staying?”

 

“At the usual hotel.” Denise said.

 

“Well why don’t you go back to my place shower and eat, maybe a nap, looks like you’ve been here as long as I have.” He said with a light smile.

 

“Are you sure?” She asked.

 

“Yes, Eve will be here soon and I’m sure Kevin’s called everyone and they’ll be coming by too, don’t think I’m going anywhere.” He joked and he got a small smile out of her.

 

“Alright then.” Denise said with a light sigh as she stood up.  She gave him a light kiss on the forehead and then headed out of the room.  When she was gone AJ let out a big sigh and relaxed a little but only for a moment.

 

“Knock Knock.” Kevin said as he popped his head in.

 

“Hey” AJ said as he felt himself smile and get a little excited.  Kevin smiled back and held the door open, letting Eve walk into the room. 

 

“I’m gonna go wait for Nick and D in the waiting room.” Kevin told him before he closed the door.  When the door shut AJ turned his attention to Eve as she stood by the front of his bed looking at the floor.

 

“Hi” AJ said getting her attention.

 

“Hi” She said back as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

 

“I want to say sorry for the way my Mom treated you.” AJ told her.

 

“It’s ok, can’t say I blame her.” Eve said quietly.  “I almost got her only son killed.”

 

“Evie this wasn’t you’re fault and you know that.” AJ said trying to sit up better.  He waited for her to say something but she just stood there.  “Evelyn come here.” He said as he waved her over.  She looked at him hesitant at first and then slowly made her way over to his bed.  Eve sat down on the edge of the bed and AJ sat up pulling her into his arms.

 

“I almost lost you again.” Eve whispered through her tears.

 

“Well you didn’t, it’s gonna take more than a bullet to take me away from you.” AJ said as they slowly pulled away.  He frowned when he didn’t get the smile or laugh he was hoping for.  “Hey” AJ said as he wiped the tears from her face.  “I’m ok.” He told her.

 

“You got shot.” She said trying to calm herself.  “You almost died because of me.”

 

“No, not because you Eve, because of Mats because Mats is sick in the head.” AJ said as he took her hand.

 

“If I had a job at McDonalds this wouldn’t have happened.” Eve told him.

 

            AJ took her hand and gently kissed the back of it.  “You did what you needed to do.”

 

“It’s on the news now, what happened.” Eve said as she wiped her eyes.  “Kristin tried to keep the TV off the news but I couldn’t sleep so I watched it last night.”

 

“What are they saying?” He asked.

 

“That you were shot at your girlfriend’s house in a dispute and you’re in the hospital.” She told him.

 

“Well that doesn’t sound bad.” AJ said

 

“But people are going to start asking what the fight was about, who the girlfriend is and why some dude went crazy.” Eve said looking at him and he could see the fear in her eyes.

 

“Then they’ll get the answers, we can’t stop it but we can keep it from breaking us up.” AJ told her.  “I don’t want you to go anywhere, I know the story I know why you started dancing and that’s all that should matter.”

 

“I just don’t want to be the one who ruins something you’ve worked so hard for.” She spoke as she looked down at his bedding.

 

“And you won’t be, if the people in this industry or our fans are that petty then the hell with them.” AJ told her.  “Because I’ve found something I have been searching for all my life and I’ll be damn if anything takes it away from me.  It doesn’t matter if you dance or if you were flippin burgers at McDonalds, it’s you I want Eve and that means everything that comes with you.” 

 

Eve reached over and wrapped her arms around him and it made him smile as he wrapped his arms around her.  He held her tight against him as tight as his chest would allow him too.  Closing his eyes he breathed in the sent of her hair and let his fingers gently brush through the back.  When his room door opened they pulled apart and AJ knew he wouldn’t get a moment like that with her again anytime soon as the two detectives who were handling Eve’s case walked in.

Chapter 18 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                       Chapter Eighteen

 

 

 AJ sat on the edge of his hospital bed.  He looked around the room taking one last look at a place he hoped he’d never see again.  The doctors told him he could go home after staying over night for observation.  His blood count was up, his lung was getting its strength back and he was healing nicely. 

 

“Now remember if you start…” His mother began to speak.

 

“I know Ma if I start hacking up blood I gotta come back.” AJ said as he slowly stood up.

 

“Alex.” Denise sighed as he sat down in the wheel chair.  “So where is Eve?”

 

AJ looked up at her and wondered how sincere the question was.  “She had to go down to the cop shop to talk to the DA, Kevin’s bringing her back to my place when she’s done.”

 

“I see” Denise said with a light, I’m trying to be nice, smile.

 

“Have you talked to her at all?” AJ asked as he got wheeled down the hall.

 

“Not really, by the time I got back she was leaving with Kevin and Nick.” Denise told him.  “I’m going to drop you off at your place and then head back to the hotel.”

 

“Mom” AJ said knowing she would have stayed if it wasn’t for Eve.

 

“It’s fine Alex really, giving you two your space; I’ll be over tomorrow we’ll have plenty of time to get to know each other.” Denise said as the elevator started going down.  He lightly sighed looking away knowing she was just playing nice and really didn’t have the strength to fight her on the subject.  Plus playing nice was a lot better than how she could be.

 

He climbed slowly into the car and waited to be taken home.  Back home to a soft comfy bed, quiet rooms and real food.  All the way home he watched out the window thinking about what had happened, thinking about what Eve was doing with the DA, hoping it wasn’t upsetting her too much. 

 

“Oh, well it looks like they are already here.” Denise said as AJ broke from his thoughts and looked out the front window.  Kevin’s car was parked outside of the house and he found himself feeling a little more relaxed knowing he wouldn’t have to wait long to see her.

 

“I hope everything went ok.” AJ said as he opened his door.

 

“Let me help you.” Denise said as she took the keys out of the ignition.

 

“I’m ok, just grab my bag please.” AJ said as he slowly pulled himself from the car.  By the time he closed the door Kevin was outside greeting him and lightly hugging him.

 

“Man it’s good to see you out of that place.” Kevin smile.

 

“It’s good to be out of there.” AJ said with a light laugh.  “How is she?” He asked as they made their way around the car.

 

“Quiet, well quieter than she usual is around us.” Kevin replied.  “I think she had to give a final statement about what happened in the van.”

 

“Lovely.” AJ sighed as they reached the door.  “Well hopefully that’s all she’ll have to do.”  He opened the door and walked into his house.

 

“Ok here’s your bag hun.” Denise said as she sat down her bag.

 

“Alright.” AJ said as he turned around.

 

“I’ll call later tonight check up on you.” His Mom said as she leaned in and gave him a kiss on the cheek and hugged him.  “I’m so happy you’re ok.”  They then both said I love you and he closed the door behind her.

 

“Not staying here?” Kevin asked as AJ turned back around.

 

“Nope, says she wants to give us our space.” AJ said with a sigh.  “I’ll take it.” He shrugged as Kevin lightly smiled.

 

“Brian’s coming in tonight too.” Kevin told him as they walked down the hall.  “He promises to be good.”

 

“Yeah” AJ said lightly rolling his eyes.  Before he entered the kitchen he looked around and only saw Kristin.

 

“She’s in the living room.” Kristin said with a soft smile.

 

“Well we’re going to head out get ready to meet Brian at the airport.” Kevin said as Kristin picked up her jacket.  “If you need anything call, if you can’t get your Mom to do it.”

 

“Thanks Man.” AJ said as he headed down the hall to walk them out.  The couple hugged him, Kevin longer than Kristin.  “Glad you’re ok man.” AJ smiled as they walked out of the door and he closed it behind them and then turned on his alarm.  He took a deep breath and walked into his living room. 

 

“Hey” He said as he saw her sitting on the couch.

 

“Hi, how are you?” She asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“Good, little sore but I’m ok.” He nodded.  “You? Kevin said you’ve been quiet.”

 

“Rough morning.” She said with a frown.

 

“Did you have to talk about it?” AJ asked as she cuddled into him.

 

“Yeah” Eve nodded. “And there’s something else.”

 

“What?” AJ asked as he pulled away.

 

“They haven’t caught the other guy yet and Mats isn’t telling them anything, he keeps saying he did it alone.” Eve said and AJ watched the worry fall over her face.

 

“Are the police sending someone over?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah, it’s the truck that’s parked across the street.” Eve said still holding onto him.

 

“Well everything’s all fixed up and the alarm is on.” AJ said as he sat her up.  “You’ll be fine.”

 

“I know.” She replied with a soft smile, she reached up and touched his cheek.  “I have you.”

 

“Yes you do.” AJ replied and then gently kissed her.  “So since I got a sponge bath when I hurt my hand, what do I get for being shot?” He asked as a bright smile came across his face.  Eve smiled and then it turned into a laugh.

 

“How about we just watch a movie?” She asked still laughing at him a little.

 

“Yeah, that’s good too.” AJ lightly pouted as he laid back on the arm of the couch.

 

Eve put in a DVD and then settled on the couch with AJ.  The couple lied together AJ holding her as she laid between his right side and the back of the couch.  Her head rested on his shoulder, her forehead resting against his neck, and he noticed the longer the movie went on the heavier her head became.  About half way through he looked down and saw she was past out cold.  He smiled as he looked at her.  She looked peaceful and calm, no thoughts of the past week, no worries about what was going to happen to them. 

 

Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes and just lied there.  This had to be right he thought, no one felt this good in his arms, no one felt this calming and complete.  Maybe it was because she had had so much happen in her life that the little things didn’t bother her liked they bothered the others.  As he started to drift away into a sleep the sent of Vanilla and peaches lingered around his nose and it made him smile as a dream started to dance around in his head.

 

The dream went from a nice evening at Eve’s house with her to a violent fight between him and Mats.  Everything replayed in his head, being pulled away from Eve, fighting with Mats, reaching for the gun, AJ pulling Mats to the ground and the how it felt to hit him over and over for the things he had done to Eve.  Then he heard the bang, the sound ringing out, and the knowledge that he had just been shot.

 

His body shot up as he gasped waking from the dream, then a sharp pain in his side reminded him that it wasn’t just a dream. He moaned and winced in pain as he reached for the lower part of his chest.

 

“Alex?” Eve said as she walked into the living room.  “You ok?” She asked as he turned and slid his legs off the couch.

 

“Yeah” He said quietly still in a little pain.  “Nightmare I think.” His mind still a little fuzzy.  “How long have I been sleeping?” He asked as she sat down beside him.

 

“I woke up just as the movie was ending you looked pretty out of it so I let you sleep; you’ve been out for about an hour.” Eve told him as he slid his fingers through hers.  “Are you ok?” She asked pointing to his chest.

 

“Yeah I’m fine now, sat up to quick that’s all.” AJ said with a light smile.  Then something drifted around his nose and he sniffed.  “What’s that smell?” He asked as his stomach began to rumble.

 

“Spaghetti.” Eve said with a smile at his reaction.  “Figured you had had enough hospital food.”

 

“Smells good.” AJ said as breathed in again.

 

“It’s almost ready.” She said as she stood up and he got up, following her into the kitchen.  AJ walked over to his stove and looked into the pot of red tomato sauce.

 

“This isn’t canned.” AJ said looking at her.

 

“Most of it is but I added some fresh tomato’s, green peppers and mushrooms.” She replied with a shrug.

 

“You can cook?” AJ said not meaning to sound so stunned.

 

“You sound shocked.” Eve replied with a laugh.

 

“Well you’ve lived on your own for so long.” AJ said trying to cover his tracks.

 

“Good thing about cooking for only you, you can try different things and if it doesn’t work you’re the only one who has to eat it.” Eve replied with a smile.

 

He walked up behind her as she sliced up some bread and wrapped his arms around her, lightly kissing her neck.  “You’ll be fine.”

 

“Huh?” Eve said with a light laugh as she looked back at him.

 

            “If there’s one way to get to the heart of Brian, Kevin, D and Nick it’s through their stomachs.” AJ said as he sat down at the island.  Eve started laughing as she walked over to the large pot of pasta.

 

When the food was done they both sat at his kitchen island eating.  They talked about what else she could cook up, he told her funny stories about things that had happened on tour but they stayed away from the events of the past week and just enjoyed each other being there.  When they were finished he helped her clean up and tackle the dishes, even though he hated doing them he didn’t mind doing them with her. 

 

“Hello?” AJ said into the phone as he picked up while drying his hands.

 

“How are you?” His Mom said on the other end.

 

“I’m fine, just got done eating.” AJ said as he tossed the cloth at Eve and it hit her in the head.  He giggled as she turned around and tossed it back at him.

 

“What did you have?” She asked.  “I hope something more than a sandwich.”

 

“Yes, I had spaghetti Eve made it and it was yummy.” AJ replied with a smile.  “Are you coming by?”

 

“No actually I called to let you know I was going to go out with some friends, I’ll be over tomorrow morning but I’ll be calling and checking up on you.” Denise said and AJ wondered if she was lying.  Sure she had friends in Cali but was she really going out.

 

“Ok” AJ said with a nod as Eve hung up the cloth and headed into the living room.  The Mother and Son talked for a few more minutes and then said goodbye.  After he hung up the phone AJ headed into the living room and saw Eve flipping through the TV channels.

 

“Anything good on?” He asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“Nope.” She sighed still surfing through. 

 

AJ stared at her for a moment then he placed his hand over hers and the remote.  He slipped it away from her hands and set it down on the table.  He smiled when she looked at him confused and then he leaned in and gently kissed her.  Slowly their tongues tangled around each others as he gently pulled her on top of him, leaning against the arm of the couch.  AJ felt her hand slid up his shirt as his lips moved from hers to her neck.  Before he knew it his shirt was off and her lips gently caressed down his chest.  He closed his eyes and he moaned softly in pleasure as she slid his pants down.  His head rolled back as his fingers slid through her hair, slowly moving with the motion.

 

They stayed on the couch, they made love on the couch and now AJ laid there a small woolen blanket draped over them.  He held her in his arms, softly kissing her as her finger gently drifted down his chest.

 

“I love you.” She whispered to him as she rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“I love you too Eve.” AJ told her as he kissed her on the top of the head.

 

            He closed his eyes and lied there, not falling asleep, just laying there enjoying her being back in his arms.  Then the door bell went off and they both shot straight up.  Quickly they gathered up their clothes and AJ jumped down the hall as best he could putting his pants on as Eve rapidly put her clothes on too.

 

“Hi” AJ said breathless as he opened the door and saw Kevin standing there.

 

“Mmmhmm.” Kevin mumbled giving him the ‘I know what you were doing’ look.  “Someone wanted to say Hi.” Kevin said nodding to Brian and Leigh as they walked up to the house.

 

“What’s with the Truck out front?” Brian asked as he approached the door.

 

“Police, keeping an eye on things.” AJ said as he let everyone in.

 

“Did you eat?” Kevin asked as AJ closed the door.

 

“Yes, Eve made me something.” He said with a proud smile.

 

“What did she put in it?” Kevin jokingly asked looking at the messed up state AJ was in.

 

“Haha, fucking ha.” AJ said as he walked down the hall.

Chapter 19 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                       Chapter Nineteen

 

 

 AJ laid sleeping in his bed, his blankets draped across this lower half just below the bandage on his chest.  He had been sleeping for a few hours, he and Eve went to bed shortly after Kevin and Brian left.  The conversation between Eve and Brian was short but at least they talked and Brian did it with respect.  He even apologized to both of them for how he reacted to them.  Slowly he rolled over his arm reaching out for her but his fingers felt nothing and the discovery that there was nothing next to him started to wake him up.

 

Lifting his head up and opening his eyes as he tried to adjust them to the dark, he looked around the bed and didn’t see her anywhere.  “Eve?” AJ mumbled as he slowly sat up thinking maybe she was in the bathroom.  When he felt himself awake enough he looked at his bathroom door, open and no light on.  Sluggishly he climbed out of bed and grabbed his robe that was on the floor.

 

When he got to the top of the stairs he stopped and listened, he could hear mumbling coming from the living room.  He made his way down the stairs and into the room expecting her to be watching TV but she wasn’t, the TV wasn’t even on.  Instead what he saw was the broken woman he saw at her place weeks ago, his liquor bottles sat empty on the coffee table and floor, and Eve sat against the bottom of the couch mumbling to herself.  A half bottle of vodka in her hand, one that AJ knew was almost full when he went to bed in fact all the bottles scattered around his living room were full when he went to bed.

 

“Eve?” AJ said as he started to approach her.

 

“Shhh.” She slurred and then swallowed back a gulp of the liquor.  AJ slowly sat down beside her.

 

“Why are we being…”

 

“Shhhh!” She snapped and she looked at him this time.  Her eyes were soaked, red, and her nose was the same colour.  “Too many voices.” Eve whispered looking away.

 

“Voices?” AJ said disconcerted.  “Eve what voices?”

 

“Their voices.” She whispered as she looked at him again.  “Their voices, I hear them when I’m sleeping, they won’t go away.”  Eve began to cry again and she took another shot from the bottle her hand shaking so bad she could barely hold it to her lips. 

 

“Who are they sweetheart?” AJ said as he felt himself wanting to cry.

 

“Mats.” Eve choaked out.  “I know it’s him now, I know which one he was, I hear him whispering to me.”  She went to take another drink but AJ stopped her and took the bottle from her.  “I tried; I tried to ignore them, all day long I can hear them, telling me..”

 

“Eve stop.” AJ said gently taking her by the arms.

 

“I need some Coke, you can get some right, that will help, that will make them go away, you’ll get me some right?” Eve asked her face almost filled with a false hope.

 

“Eve I don’t think that’s a good idea.” AJ said and the pain on her face told him she didn’t like the answer.

 

“I wish he would have shot me.” Eve muttered.  “I don’t want to be here anymore, I don’t want this pain, I don’t want see their faces anymore.  I just want it to end all of it, I can’t fight anymore, and it’s never going to be ok.” Eve cried.

 

“Ok, this stops now, come on.” AJ said as he stood her up.

 

“What are you doing?” She asked wobbling as she got up.

 

“You need to sober up, let’s go have a bath.” AJ said as he started to walk her to the hall.

 

“I don’t need a fucking bath!” She shouted as she pulled away.  “I don’t need a bath.” Eve repeated as she started to cry again.  “I don’t...” She dropped to her knees and AJ was right there beside her.  He pulled her into his arms and held her as she sobbed.

 

“It’s alright sweetheart.” AJ whispered as he held her, gently rocking her, trying to calm her.  He held her until her crying stopped but her grip on him didn’t loosen.  “Let’s go ok?” 

 

Eve lightly nodded and AJ gently pulled her away and stood them both up.  He walked her up stairs and sat her down on his bed and then went into his bedroom bath to start the water.

 

“Ready?” He asked as he walked into his room.  Eve just nodded as she stood up and walked into his bathroom.  AJ helped her into the tub and sat down next to it.  As she lied there with her eyes closed, he gently scooped up some water in his hand, pouring it on her shoulders and neck.  Every once in a while he would softly brush the back of his fingers down her cheek.  She laid in the water, staring at the wall, her eyes lost and her mind somewhere else.

 

  “Let’s go to bed ok?” AJ said to her when he felt the water cooling.  She turned her head looking at him and nodded slowly.  He stood up and helped her out of the tube, dried her off and wrapped her in her robe.

 

AJ pulled the blankets down and let her crawl in and then he followed.  He hadn’t even lied down before she had latched herself to him.  Laying on his back he pulled his blankets over them as he wrapped her in his arms and as he lied there with her he found himself softly singing too her, hoping, maybe that would make the voices go away.

 

He didn’t sleep much that night, every time he fell asleep he was awaken by her movement, wondering if she was leaving to go have another drink, or maybe something worse.  When he realized the sun was coming through he carefully got out of bed and went down stairs.  AJ stood in the doorway to his living room, looking at the bottles everywhere. It wasn’t anything new to him, he had made a mess like this a few times but the thing that was on his mind was how Eve was last night and what she had said.

 

Walking around the room he picked up the bottles and tossed them into a garbage bag, when the room was clean and the bag was half full he took it out back.  He came back into the kitchen and looked at the time, he wondered if Kevin would be up and decided to call him.

 

“Hello?” Kevin answered into the phone.

 

“Hope I didn’t wake you.” AJ said as he sat down at the island with a coffee.

 

“Nope been up for an hour or so.” Kevin replied.  “Everything ok?”

 

“Not really.” AJ said as he looked at the cream swirling in his cup.

 

“Is it Eve?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ answered.   He then proceeded to tell him what had happened last night, what he had awoken too.  AJ then told him how scared he was now, wondering if she’d do it again and what if he didn’t hear her next time.  He couldn’t stop himself from crying as his feelings finally came out. 

 

“You need to talk to her Alex, then call her doctor and go from there.” Kevin said as AJ wiped his eyes.  “You need to get rid of the alcohol too.”

 

“I know.” AJ said quietly.  “She asked me last night to get her…” He paused and then just sucked it up.  “She asked me to get her some coke last night and I know it has to stop for me now, I don’t want to put her in danger, in that position.”

 

“Get her the help she needs and then we’ll worry about you.” Kevin said as AJ wiped his eyes again.

 

“I’m gonna go now, get my head straight before she wakes up.” AJ said as he drank the last of his coffee.

 

“Alright man, call me ok?” Kevin said before they said good bye and hung up. 

 

AJ took a deep breath and headed upstairs to his room.  He sat down on the edge of the bed and looked at the woman sleeping.  Slowly he crawled in beside her, his eyes never breaking from her.  She looked peaceful and he brushed her hair from her face to get a better look at her.  Her eyes slowly opened and she moaned as she grabbed her head. 

 

“Morning.” Eve said as she turned her head and looked at him.

 

“Morning.” AJ replied as he sat up on his arm.  “We need to talk sweetheart.”  She looked at him and he was pretty sure she started running the events of last night through her head.  “Have you told your doctor?”

 

“About?” She asked and he wondered if she was trying to play dumb.

 

“About the voices you keep hearing.” AJ said as his fingers slid through hers.  Eve laid there in silence as her eyes drifted to the blankets.  He took that as a no.  “You should call her.”

 

“I’m fine Alex really, just had too much to drink.” Eve said as she slowly sat up.

 

“Eve last night was way beyond too much to drink.” AJ said.  “I’ve been there sweetheart I’ve been rock bottom…”

 

“Rock bottom? Geez Alex calm down.” Eve said as she got out of bed.

 

“No.” AJ replied getting up.  “No way, you scared the hell outta me last night.” AJ said stopping her before she walked into the bathroom.  “I didn’t sleep at all because every time you moved I thought you were getting up to down some pills or do something stupid.” Eve rolled her eyes and sighed.  “Evelyn I love you, I think I’ve shown by now I’d do anything for you but sweetheart, you need help, this is hitting you much deeper than you’re letting on and your doctor can’t help you if you’re not honest with her.  I can’t help you if you’re not honest.”

 

“Alex.” Eve sighed.

 

“You know I’m right.” AJ said as he made eye contact with her.  “Please Evie.”

 

Her eyes closed and she took a deep breath.  “Alright, I’ll call her.”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said as he pulled her into his arms and held her tight.  Slowly she wrapped her arms around him.  “Are you hungry?” He asked as they pulled away.

 

“Ugh no, just want some Orange Juice.” Eve said squishing her nose.

 

“Ok.” AJ said with a light smile and he walked her down to the kitchen.

 

They talked as they sat in the living room, him with another Coffee and her with an Orange Juice.  When she had finished he got her on the phone with her doctor, who at no shock to AJ wanted to see Eve right away.  So they both got dressed and left to go downtown.  He waited outside like he always did and she went right in with her psychiatrist. Page after page turned and he read story after story.  His attention was taken away when he heard some shouts from inside the office.  He looked over at the secretary who just lightly smiled at him and he got the feeling she was use to it.  Then the doctor’s door flew open and Eve came barging out.  She walked right past AJ and out of the waiting area.  AJ stood up as the doctor walked over too him.

 

“She needs to go to a hospital.” She told him.

 

“A hospital?” AJ said kind of confused.

 

“She needs intensive therapy.” The woman said.  “At least for a couple of weeks, maybe a month.”

 

“Ok.” AJ said with nod.  The woman left and went to her secretary’s desk.  He walked out of the waiting room and down the hall, he sighed relaxed when he saw Eve sitting in a chair in the hallway around the corner by the elevators. 

 

“I’m not going.” She said before he sat down, before he could even say anything.  “I’m going to some damn nut house.”

 

“It’s not a nut house Eve.” AJ said as he took her hand.  “It’s a place where they can keep an eye on you and help you get through this.”

 

“I can’t be away from you for that long.” She said as she looked at him.  He lightly smiled at her and kissed the back of her hand. 

 

“You have to be or you’ll never get better, this goes way beyond me sweetheart.  Last night if things had gotten any worse, if I hadn’t of woken up I really think you would have hurt yourself.”  AJ told her.   “That scares the hell outta me.  I don’t want to lose you, defiantly not like that.”  Eve moaned and ran her fingers through her hair.  “Besides, I need to get myself straight too.”

 

“You?” Eve replied confused.

 

“If I really want to be there for you, help you through this, because the hospital will not be the end of it, it won’t magically fix it and me drinking and doing coke is not going to help you either.”  AJ told her.  “We’re both going to have to clean up and do it right.”

 

Eve laid her head in her hands and started crying.  He slid his hand across her back and she reached up wrapping her arms around his neck.  “I know you’re scared Eve but you have to do this.  You don’t want to feel the pain anymore and I don’t want to see you in pain anymore.”

 

“I’ll go but not today.” Eve said quietly as he sobs calmed.

 

“Ok” AJ said as he pulled her away.  “We’ll go let the doctor know, then we’ll spend the day together do whatever you want, alright?”

 

“Alright.” Eve nodded as she wiped her eyes.  AJ lightly smiled as he helped her clean up her tears. 

 

Chapter 20 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                         Chapter Twenty

 

 

  AJ sat at his kitchen island a cup of coffee in front of him.  His leg bounced as he lightly shook his foot.  He gently bit down on his pinky nail as he sat nervously waiting.  Two days ago he got out of rehab, yesterday he talked to Eve for the first time in almost a month, and now he was waiting for her to come home.  Her doctors at the Wellness Center said she could go to AJ’s for the weekend and come back Monday for a review.  If everything went well they would put her back under the care of her psychiatrist and go from there.

 

While they were both getting healthy Mats went in for his trial.  With video testimony from Eve and AJ he was easily convicted and sentence to twenty five years in prison for both the rape of Eve and attempted murder of AJ.   Unfortunately Mats accomplice was still out there he still would not give up a name and there was no trace of his DNA in the police system.

 

He took a deep breath as the door bell rang.  Putting down his coffee he got from the stool and headed out of the kitchen.  AJ walked down the hall to the front door and stopped before opening it.  He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, a bunch of what ifs went through his head.  What if she realized he wasn’t what she wanted?   What if she comes home and can’t adjust?  Taking another deep breath he opened his eyes again and then opened the front door.

 

“Hi” AJ said with a smile when he saw her standing in front of him.

 

“Hi” Eve smiled back.

 

AJ backed away and let her walk in closing the door behind her.  He locked it and turned around as she put her bags down.  Not sure what to do next, hug her, kiss her or just ask her to sit in the living room and talk, he stood by the door.  But it turns out he was nervous over nothing.  Eve walked over and hugged him, tightly and held on for a while.

 

“I missed you Alex.” She said after they both stood there for a moment.

 

“I missed you too.” AJ said with a light smile.  “I was worried about you.  How are you doing?”

 

She pulled slightly away from him, her arms still wrapped around his waist.  “I’m ok, doing much better.”

 

“Really?” AJ asked as his hand slid down the side of her arm.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “I still have my moments but I’ve learned ways in dealing with it.”

 

“Well if you need anything let me know.” AJ told her as he pulled her against him and hugged her.

 

“I will” Eve replied as she held him tight.  “But how are things with you?” She asked as they both pulled away.

 

“I’m good, clean, sober, and wanting to stay that way this time.” AJ said with a light nod.  “For both of us.”  Eve smiled back at him as he took her hand in his.

 

“Did you hear about Mats?” She asked and he felt himself getting nervous at the subject.

 

“Yeah” AJ said with a nod.  “I wish he’d give up the other person.”

 

“My doctors says he won’t, it’s his way of trying to keep control over me, knowing I’d be wondering who was out there.” Eve told him as her thumb brushed along the back of his hand.  “But I know now he doesn’t have control, I do.”

 

“What about the…uh…” AJ stuttered trying to think of a good way to ask.

 

“The voices?” Eve asked and he nodded.  “There gone.” She replied with a soft smile.  “Turns out I was suffering from major anxiety but I hid most of it from everyone and because of that it lead to something like delusional depression, where I was so scared my mind played tricks on me.”

 

She walked them into the living room and they both sat down on the couch.  “I want too thank you Alex for everything you’ve done for me.  I was so lost but you helped me find my way and no matter what happens to us, you will always be apart of who I am.”

 

 “And I’ll continue to be here for you Eve.  I wasn’t just blowing smoke when I told you I loved you.  I knew it the first time I saw you and the fact I couldn’t get you out of my head.”  AJ leaned in closer to her, his fingers gently combed through her hair, and his eyes drifted from her lips to her eyes.  “That night in the booth I wasn’t going to tell you that you were special and made me feel different, I wanted to tell you that you made me feel, period.  For once in my life or relationships I wasn’t just going through the motions.  You made me want to be with you, I needed to be with you, I still do.”

 

She lightly smiled.  “And I still want and need to be with you Alex. Were you afraid I was going to get out and not want you anymore?”

 

“Maybe a little, maybe your feelings changed because of everything, maybe you didn’t want anything to do with that life anymore, me included.”  AJ said with a light smirk.

 

“You were the one I called.” Eve said as he rested his hand on the back of her neck.  “When they left me in the ally I was lost, scared, alone, and broken, I didn’t call the police, or Ted, I called you Alex and we weren’t even speaking at the time as far as I knew you wanted nothing to do with me but when I was that low all I could think of was getting to you and being safe in your arms.”  She leaned in and softly kissed his lips, lightly trapping his bottom lip.  They parted but they kept close, resting their foreheads together. “That night I promised myself if you came I would never let you go again.” 

 

Her lips brushed against his and AJ softly kissed her, their tongues gently brushing against each other.  A slight moan broke from his lips as her fingers drifted along the back of his neck.  Sluggishly his lips strolled from hers, he kissed her jaw bone, under her jaw, and down to her neck.  He then moved his lips back up her neck brushing them against her ear.

 

“I want you in my bed.” AJ whispered with a slight moan.  Slowly they pulled apart, his eyes drifted around her face before they locked with hers.  They both stood up, AJ taking her hand in his and walked her upstairs to his bedroom.  Eve followed him onto his bed and she laid against his pillows as he reverted his kisses to her neck.

 

She tilted her head to give his lips more room to explore as his hand drifted up her shirt.  He returned his lips to hers as he gently squeezed her breast through her bra.  His fingers yearned to touch the skin behind the satin material but his lips wanted to more.  Parting his mouth from hers as his hands lifted her shirt over her head, AJ didn’t return to her lips instead they started caressing her chest. 

 

His fingers snapped apart the bra clips and he let his eyes drift around her breasts as he pulled the undergarment from her.  She returned her fingers to his hair letting them gently slid around, her nails softly brushing against his skin.  AJ erotically caressed her breast with his kisses as her hands skimmed down his back.  Eve pulled his shirt off as he faintly pecked down her stomach. 

 

AJ unfasten her jeans and sat up as he pulled them off her.  Gliding his fingers tenderly up her inner thigh he looked at her, her left arm above her head, her right arm beside her and her eyes closed, he could easily read her body language.  Eve knew what he wanted to do and she waited with some eagerness for it.  Holding back he leaned down and started to caress her stomach with his lips, his hands gently pulling her left leg to the side.  He kissed down along her hip through her panties and the drifted to her inner thigh.  With his free hand he pulled the last piece of clothing off her. 

 

Eve moaned and lightly bit her lip as he went down on her.  Her leg rested gently on his shoulder as he sent a shiver through her.  She didn’t dare tell him this was the first time someone had done this for her, not wanting to disrupt the new sensations he sent through her.  Squeezing his pillow above her she fought the urge to close her legs; she arched her back and gasped in pleasure as his tongue erotically slid into her.  He seductively moaned and the vibrations sent shivers through her.  She cried out to him as she peaked, her body lightly shaking and AJ enjoyed every second of it.

 

He grabbed at his belt and began to remove his pants as his lips traveled back up her stomach and chest.  Her feet pulled his pants down as he kicked them off, hovering over her.  They’re lips finally meeting again AJ lowered himself down and pulled her leg around him as he slid into her.   His body rocked against hers and when she arched her back again he quickly shifted his arm under her.  He held her lower body against him as his pace quickened.  Now it was his turn to moan, to gasp and cry out her name.  His body trembled against hers as he let himself go. 

 

A little exhausted AJ collapsed beside her as his lungs panted for air.  He opened his eyes when he felt her lips on his chest and he lightly smiled before she brought them up to his, their tongues tangled around each other.  Eve slowly pulled away and their eyes locked.  He tenderly ran his fingers through her hair, brushing it from her face.  Their voices didn’t need to say the words as the couple looked at each other and instead their lips pressing against each other said “I love you.”

 

AJ walked down the stairs in his jeans very much awake from the event that had happen a half hour ago.  Eve on the other hand was very much asleep, wrapped up tight in his sheets.  He reached for his cigarettes hoping he hadn’t crushed them as his pants went flying off the bed.  With a relieved sigh he pulled a perfectly straight cigarette from the pack and lit it as he inhaled in.   His mind was completely distracted with thoughts of Eve in his bed he didn’t hear the knock at the door but the door bell ringing broke him from his erotic thoughts.

 

“Don’t you ever call?” AJ asked when he saw Kevin standing on the other side.

 

“I swear you two are like fucking rabbits.” Kevin sighed as AJ let him in.

 

“Jealous?” AJ asked as he closed the door.

 

“Not really.” Kevin sighed with a light laugh.  “How’s she doing?”

 

“Fine, she’s sleeping right now.” AJ said as they walked into his kitchen.  “So what’s up?”

 

“Came by to let you know we’re having a Barbeque tomorrow, Brian’s going to be in town with Leigh Anne and the baby, wanted to know if you and Eve wanted to come.”  AJ looked at Kevin a little unsure.  “He promises to behave, he wants to know how you’re doing and how she is doing, and I think after the last time they spent time together things went well.”  Kevin told him.

 

“I’ll ask her and see what she says.” AJ told him as he poured a cup of coffee.

 

“So I take it things are ok between the two of you?” Kevin asked looking at AJ with the older brother eye.

 

“Yes” AJ said ignoring the look.  “We love each other very much and right now I can’t really see myself with anyone else.”  Kevin lightly smirked, whether he meant to or not AJ heard it.  “I know I say that all the time.”

 

“Yeah but usually after the first week, you’ve been with her for a couple of months now.” Kevin joked and AJ smiled.  “You look at her different; I can tell she’s not like the others in your eyes.”

 

“She’s not Kev, not at all.  She doesn’t harp on the stupid shit, probably because she’s had to grow up so fast.  She let’s me fuck up and doesn’t give me flack for it, she wants to make me happy, make me feel good, not the other way around, ya know?”

 

“Yeah, I do.” Kevin nodded with a light smile.  “Oh hey did you hear about the meeting to discuss the new album?”

 

“Yeah, Wednesday right?” AJ said as he took a sip of his coffee.

 

“Yeah.” Kevin nodded.  “It’s kind of another reason I came by.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Nick wants to do a solo; Jive already has him in the studio.” Kevin told him.

 

“So”

 

“If he’s doing a solo we can’t do the next record we have to wait, contract says we all need to be there and Jive is saying they won’t let Nick do both.”  Kevin said as AJ listened.

 

“So what we have to wait?” AJ asked.

 

“Looks like it.”

 

“Fuck that shit dude, why can’t he do both? Why are they being dicks?”

 

“Because they lost N’Sync dude and with Justin pushing his new stuff, they want Nick too as well.”

 

“Bullshit!” AJ said angrily. 

 

“Tell me about it, I think that’s what this meeting is about, Jive will tell us no new record until Nick is done.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Is there anything we can do?” AJ asked.

 

“Sue them; get the contract changed, so we can make records with who ever wants to make a record at that time.” Kevin told him.

 

“Lovely.” He sighed as he took a sip from his cup.

 

“Is it really a bad thing to wait?” Kevin asked.

 

“What do you mean; you’re the one who’s always harping about keeping the momentum.”

 

“Yeah but look at us, you’re getting your life in order, you have someone who needs a hundred percent of you, it’s why you went back to rehab, Howie’s got so many deals going on he’s never in one place for longer than an hour, Brian is just ready to stop, and I’m feeling really burnt out.”

 

“And Nick does want to do a Solo.” AJ sighed.

 

“I think we should still fight them on it, that way if we take a month or two off and we want to come back they can’t stop us.” Kevin said to him as he stood up.  “But I do think, maybe it’s time we all took a well needed break, it’s not like we have major competition now.”

 

“I guess I got some shit to think about.” AJ said looking at him.

 

“Don’t stress to much, see what happens Wednesday.” Kevin told him as AJ got up from his stool.  “So call me later or tomorrow at let me know if the two of you will be stopping by.”

 

“Ok” AJ said as they both approached his front door.

 

“And I promise to start calling before I pop in.” Kevin smiled.

 

“I don’t care dude.” AJ said with a laugh.  Kevin smiled and gave his friend a goodbye wave as he headed down to the driveway.  AJ waved back and then closed the door, making sure to lock it.

Chapter 21 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                      Chapter Twenty-One

 

 

 “Are you sure you want to do this sweetheart?” AJ asked as they sat in Kevin’s driveway.  “There’ll be other Barbeques.”

 

“Yeah” Eve nodded with a light smile.  “It’s fine really.”  AJ returned the smile and pulled the keys from the ignition as she unbuckled her seat belt.

 

“Ok but if you want to go at any time let me know ok?” He told her.  She nodded with a smile before she got out of the car.

 

“Awesome you guys made it.” Howie said as AJ closed the door to Kevin’s house.

 

“Hey D.” AJ said with a hello nod.  “Where is everyone?”

 

“Out back, I need to make a phone call.” Howie said waving his cell phone before he walked away.

 

“That thing is glued to his skull I swear.” AJ sighed and Eve lightly laughed.

 

“I heard that!” Howie shouted down the hall.

 

“Let’s go out back.” AJ told her as he rolled his eyes.  He walked her through the house to the large back doors.

 

“Jiggity!!!” Nick shouted when AJ stepped outside.

 

“Hello.” AJ said as everyone turned to look at him and Eve.

 

“It’s good to see you.” Kristin said to Eve as she hugged her.  “You look good.”

 

“Thanks.” Eve replied with a light smile.

 

“And so do you.” She told AJ as she hugged him as well.

 

“Thanks K.” AJ replied.

 

“Hey, hands off my kool-aid.” Kevin snipped as he walked up.

 

“Do I look like Nick?” AJ replied and they all started laughing.

 

“Hey” Nick groaned when he realized the joke was on him.

 

“Come sit, food will be ready soon.” Kevin told them as he pointed to the patio table.

 

“Rok.” AJ said with a nod.

 

“Hey man how are you?” He asked as AJ and Eve sat down.

 

“Good.” AJ nodded as he pushed in Eve’s chair.  “Where’s Leigh?” He asked.

 

“Inside with Baylee.” Brain replied as he nodded towards the door.  “Speaking of which I better go see if she needs any help.”  AJ looked over at Eve wondering how she was reacting to Brian but he realized she was talking to Kristin and not even paying attention to them.

 

“I’m borrowing her for a minute.” Kristin said as her and Eve stood up.

 

“Just clean her off before bringing her back.” AJ said with a bright smile.

 

“Pig!” Kristin snapped as she slapped him on the shoulder.

 

“Owe, dude you’re wife hit me.” AJ moaned as Kevin walked up.

 

“Don’t hit him, that’s four play with him.” Kevin joked and his wife and Eve walked away laughing.

 

“Fuck you douche.” AJ mumbled as he sat down.

 

“I have to say she looks good.” Kevin said as he opened another soda.

 

“Drinking soda?” AJ asked puzzled.

 

“Well I figured you all didn’t want it up in your face.” Kevin replied.

 

“Look at my job, not going to be able to ignore it, just have to learn to be around it.” AJ said with a shrug. 

 

“Well we can at least give you two a bit, you just got out.” Kevin replied with a light smile.  “I’m glad she decided to come.”

 

“Me too.” AJ nodded as he saw Kristin and Eve walking outside.  “I just hope Brian doesn’t act like a prick.”

 

“I really think he’s ready to give you two a chance.” Kevin told him.

 

“Sure he is but still doesn’t change the fact Eve was a stripper and you know he’ll hold that over her, even if he does get to know her, he’ll always look at her that certain way.” AJ said with a sigh.  The two drop the topic when the ladies approached the table.

 

“Dew.” Eve said as she handed AJ a can of Mountain Dew.

 

“Sweet.” AJ smiled as he took it from her and opened it.  The couple sat around the patio table and was joined shortly after by everyone else as the food started to trickle out.

 

“So when are you going too Florida?” Nick asked as he took a bit of his burger.

 

“Probably flying out Wednesday morning.” AJ replied as he added some salad to his plate.

 

“Are you going with Eve?” Nick asked his mouth still full of food.

 

“Nick” Brian sighed as he rolled his eyes at him talking with his mouth full.

 

“Not sure yet, depends on what they say at the Wellness Center when I go back Monday.” She replied with a shrug. 

 

Everyone sat around eating and talking, they talked a little bit about what to do Wednesday but mostly they talked about the past, talked about the last tour, and talked about things they were looking forward to doing.  AJ was happy to see everyone being polite and open to Eve, even Brian but something wasn’t right.  He wasn’t sure if it was her or him, she talked to everyone, she laughed, and she seemed to have a good time but he got this vibe from her like she wasn’t completely there, her mind on something else.  As he sat in his car driving them home he thought he would just ask and see.

 

“Everything alright sweetheart?” AJ asked as he quickly looked over too her.

 

“Yeah everything’s fine why?” She asked as she looked from her window to him.

 

“Just checking up on you.” AJ lightly smiled as he gave her another quick look and smile.  She smiled back as she returned to gazing out the window.  “I’m glad to see you and Brian talking.”

 

“Yeah, he was nice.” Eve replied as she looked over at him.

 

“When we get back did you want to watch a movie or something?” He asked as he pulled off the hi-way.  

 

“Sure” She replied with a nod.

 

“And I was thinking tomorrow we can go to the mall and then go out to dinner.” AJ said as he stopped at a red light.

 

“Why the mall?” She asked.

 

AJ lightly shrugged.  “Go shopping; buy clothes, usually what happens at a mall.”

 

“Maybe we should wait.” Eve replied with a light smile.

 

“Wait for what?”

 

“See what they say Monday.” Eve said quietly.

 

“Is there some reason why you think they’d make you stay longer?” AJ asked as the light turned green.  “Do you want to stay longer?”

 

“No” She quickly said shaking her head.  “No no, I want to stay with you.  I dunno I guess I’m just waiting for the next bad thing to happen.”

 

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it Evie, I think it’ll be fine.” AJ told her as they pulled into his driveway.  She lightly smiled as she unbuckled her seatbelt. 

 

As he put his keys into the front door he felt her hands slide around to his stomach and her head rested against his back.  He unlocked the door and walked them inside as he turned around he heard the door click close behind him.  She leaned back against the door as she pulled on his T-shirt bringing him closer to her and she didn’t stop until their lips pressed against each others.  Her fingers brushed along his stomach under his shirt as her tongue tangled around his.  The kiss lasted at least a minute before she finally pulled away.

 

“I thought we were going to watch a movie?” AJ asked a little breathless.

 

“We are I just wanted a kiss.” She whispered back as she teased his lips with hers.

 

“That was one hell of a kiss.” AJ said as she headed into the living room.  Shaking the moment from his head he followed her into the room and sat down on the couch.

 

“So what do you want to watch?” She asked as she laid back relaxing from the long day at Kevin’s. 

 

“Scarface.” AJ said.

 

“We watched that before I left.” Eve said rolling her eyes. 

 

“Yeah been like a month.” AJ replied looking at her a little dumb founded.  “Ok fine.” AJ sighed giving in when her bottom lip popped out.  He scratched his head as he thought about what to watch.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Eve said as she sat up.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.

 

“Where’s your Mom?” She asked.  “You just got out of rehab, why isn’t she here?”

 

“She was here.” AJ replied.  “But she went home.”

 

“Because of me?” Eve asked.

 

“She left because she chose too.”

 

“Because I was coming here.” Eve said.  “Maybe I should wait then, I might be able to get something through the center, and they can help me find a job and…”

 

“Eve” AJ said as he placed his hands on the side of her arms.  “You are going to stay here because this is where you want to be, this is where you feel safe and that is what you need right now not some new apartment somewhere.”

 

“But she’s your Mom…”

 

“And she’s hated every girl I was with, just give her time and let me worry about this ok, she’s not yelling so that’s a good thing.” AJ told her as he slid his hands down her arms and placed them around her hand. 

 

“Ok” Eve said with a light sigh and nod. 

 

“Promise me you won’t worry about it ok, she’ll come around.”

 

“I promise.” She replied with a soft smile reassuring him.

 

“Besides I’ll see her Wednesday and if all goes well you will too.” AJ told her with a smile.  Eve nodded with a light smile and he pulled her into his arms.  “So thought of anything?”

 

“No, go look.” She said as she pulled away.

 

AJ grunted as he stood up and walked over to his DVD shelf.  His eyes skimmed through the titles looking for something that peeked his interest.  “What about Castaway?”

 

“Is that with Tom Hanks?” She asked.

 

“Yep” He replied as he turned around showed her the case.

 

“Sounds good” She nodded as she sat back.

 

AJ set up the video and then headed back over to the couch.  He sat down beside her as she sat leaning against the arm.  When the movie started he set the remote down and laid his head on her lap, her fingers instantly began to tangle in his hair.  About half way through the movie his eyes started to get heavy and he slowly slipped into a slumber.

 

“Alex?” A voice called out to him and his eyes fluttered open.  “Alex, wake up.” He turned his head and saw Eve looking at him.  “Time for bed hun.” She said as she brushed her fingers through his hair.

 

“Movie over?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” She smiled as he sat up.

 

He was still trying to wake himself up enough to get upstairs as they stood up.  Eve shut everything off as he made his way to his room and straight to his bed.  Pulling the blankets over him he dressed down to his boxers, throwing the clothes on the floor.  As he got comfortable Eve walked into the room.  He watched her undress and climbed in beside him.  Slowly he slid over to her laying his head between her neck and shoulder, his arm rested around her waist.  The sent of her hair drifted into his nose and it calmed him even more.

 

“Night Evelyn.” AJ whispered almost asleep.

 

“Goodnight” He heard her whisper back before he fell back to sleep.

 

Chapter 22 by VeeLynn
> Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                     Chapter Twenty-Two

 

 

 AJ zipped up his carry-on bag as it sat on top of his bed.  He was grabbing the last of his things getting ready to head to Florida for the meeting.  It was four in the morning and his plane was leaving at six-thirty.  Double checking everything as he looked around the room he checked off the mental note in his head.

 

“Ready?” Eve said as she walked into the room.

 

“Yeah” He nodded as he picked up his bag and followed her out of the room. He was glad she was going, getting the ok from the doctors she was back home with him Monday night. 

 

As AJ sat on the plane he found himself getting excited, he had this beautiful woman sitting beside him, who he loved more than anything, someone he could share everything with and they were going to his home town.  He thought about showing her all the places he grew up and the funny stories that came with them. 

 

When the couple landed they loaded everything into a rental car that was waiting for them and headed to the hotel.  Usually AJ stayed with his Mom but Eve was with him this time, and honestly he wanted some privacy. 

 

“Ugh.” AJ huffed as he laid down on the hotel bed.

 

“Tired?” Eve asked as she crawled in beside him.

 

“A little but I am getting pretty hungry, you?”

 

“Actually yeah starving.” She said with a light smile.  Sitting up AJ grabbed the phone and order them breakfast.  When he hung up the phone he heard water running and walked over to the bathroom door.  Slowly he opened the door as a little bit of steam came out and saw Eve behind the glass door of the standing shower.  Carefully and quietly he undressed and then walked over to the door, it clicked when he opened and Eve turned around.  A light smile came across her face as he entered the shower. 

 

Eve slid her hands up his chest as the water began to splash off it.  He wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her wet naked body against him.  The water bounced off his back as he began to kiss and softly suck on the side of her neck, across her shoulder and collar bone.  She tilted her neck as she brought her hands down his chest, her fingers trickled down his abs, and then she wrapped them around him.  Gently she began to stroke him as he brought his lips to hers.  She teased them a little a first and then let him trapped her lips with his.  He moaned lightly as he felt himself get harder in her hand.

 

AJ drifted his kissed to her ear.  “Turn around.” He whispered and Eve slowly turned around.  She put her hand on the wall in front of her as he wrapped one hand around her breast, and the other gently rested on her waist.  His chest pressed against her back as his lower body slowly thrusted.  Eve laid her head back against him, her hand reached behind her and she ran her fingers through his wet hair as his lips returned to her neck and shoulder.  The sound of her moans and the feeling of her body trembled against his sent him to his peek.  He pulled her waist against him hard as he moaned her name and then let go of her waist. 

 

Quickly Eve turned around and began kissing him, both of them trying to catch their breath between each kiss.  Slowly they pulled apart and stared at each other with desirable eyes.  “I thought you were ordering breakfast.” She said with a soft smile.

 

 

 

AJ walked down the hall of the large office building.  When he got to the meeting room he saw through the large glass windows and doors that the other guys were already there.  Opening the door he walked in and everyone looked at him.

 

“On time, not bad.” Kevin said with a nod.

 

“Same to you.” AJ said with a large smile.

 

“What time did you get in smart ass?” Kevin asked as AJ sat down.

 

“Got to the hotel around eight, had a quick shower, than breakfast, and then I went to my Mom’s before coming here.”  AJ told them.

 

“Is Eve still at the hospital?” Brian asked.

 

“Nope, she’s back at the hotel actually, sleeping when I left.”

 

“So they let her out?” Nick asked.

 

            “Yep” AJ said with a sigh of relief.   “She has control back, she knows she has control back and that has made a major difference.”

 

“So what happens now?” Brian asked.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well is she going to be living with you? Finding a job or something?” Brian asked as AJ sighed.

 

“Dude it’s been like 2 months, I’m going to ask her to marry me.” AJ said trying to hold back his laugh.

 

“Uh.” Brian said looking around. 

 

“Alex he’s trying stop making it harder.” Kevin said as a laugh slowly fumbled out of his own mouth and by the end of the sentence he was howling in his chair.

 

“Haha.” Brian said rolling his eyes.  “It was just a question.”

 

“Yes Rok she’s going to be living with me and when ever she’s ready she can find a job, or go back to school or do nothing at all, honestly right now she deserves it.” AJ said as everyone’s laughing calmed.

 

“How is your Mom?” Howie asked.

 

“Fine, she pissed me off a little, when I went there this morning she didn’t even ask how Eve was doing, but like I said she ain’t yellin’ so it’s all good.”

 

“Do you have plans for tonight? We should all go out to eat.” Howie spoke up.

 

“Actually I do.” AJ said as the door opened.  “Taking Eve to Victoria and Albert’s for dinner.”

 

“Nice” Kevin and Nick said at the same time.

 

“Yes, Eve.” Their Jive publicist said.  “She’s brought in some interesting attention.”

 

“And we’re not going there.” AJ said to the skinny man with the bad hair cut.

 

“Yeah, this is about the next album not our private lives.” Kevin added quickly.

 

“Well there’s not going to be a next album until Nick is finished with his.” The man said.

 

“Why?” Nick asked sitting up.  “I can do both.”

 

“We at the record company think that the sound of Nick’s record and the sound that Backstreet puts out would clash and confuse the mass audience.”  He told them.

 

“Screw the mass audience our fans will get the difference.” Nick scoffed sitting back.

 

“It’s just not going to work Nick” The man said.

 

“How the hell do you know?” Kevin snapped and that’s all it took for the room to irrupt into a shouting match.  AJ tried to sit there patiently but once Eve’s name got brought up again he jumped right into it.

 

“You know what screw this; we’re not some fucking puppet group!” Kevin shouted.  “We’re getting that contract changed; see you’re asses in court.”  AJ walked out with Kevin and they were followed by Howie and Brian.

 

“Well this was eventful.” AJ sighed as everyone cooled off in the hallway.

 

“I knew this would happen man, I knew it.” Kevin said frustrated. Just then the glass door slammed as Nick walked out and AJ was shocked it didn’t shatter.

 

“What did they say?” Brian asked as Nick walked up to them.

 

“If I participate in the law suit I can kiss my album good bye.” Nick sighed.

 

“Oh that’s fucking it.” Kevin said as he headed towards the door.

 

“Whoa big guy.” AJ said as Brian and him grabbed Kevin stopping him.  “Let’s go see the lawyer before you go knockin heads.”

 

“This is bullshit!!” Kevin shouted at the door as his band mates dragged him away. “Nuthing but Bullshit!!”

 

“I’m gonna go grab something to eat with Kev get him to cool off.” Brian said as AJ lit a smoke.

 

“Alright.” AJ nodded.

 

“I didn’t mean anything by asking what Eve was doing or anything.” Brian told him.

 

“I know man, you just gotta understand, she’s not after a free ride but she kind of needs one right now and when she does figure out what to do, I want her to be able to go after it without worrying about bills or stuff like that and besides I do plan on her being around for a while.”  AJ explained to Brian.

 

“Ok.” Brian smiled. “I’ll call we need to have a group meeting now.” Brian said as AJ pulled the keys to his rental out.

 

“Alright” AJ replied as he looked at the key.  The two said goodbye and AJ got into his car and pulled out of the Jive building parking lot. 

 

He parked in the Parking Garage and headed into the hotel from the side door, taking the back elevators up to his floor.  As he stepped off the lift onto the floor he pulled out his plastic key card and walked towards his door.

 

“Hi” Eve smiled as he closed the door and he saw her sitting on the couch watching TV.

 

“Hey” He smiled as he took off his jacket and set his belongings on the table.  AJ walked over to her and sat down with a sigh.

 

“Long meeting?” She asked.

 

“Very.” He moaned as he laid his head on the back of the couch.  “Kevin almost got into a fist fight with the Jive publicist.”

 

“Wow” Eve said as she raised her eyebrows. 

 

“They don’t want us recording and putting out an album along with Nick because it’ll confuse the mass audience.” AJ said as he waved his hands around.  “Who cares about them, our fans would be into both and now they’re threatening Nick that they’ll pull out of the album if he goes with us on the law suit.”

 

“Law suit?” Eve asked.

 

“In our contract it says we can’t record unless we have all five, they’re saying Nick can’t record…”

 

“So you won’t have all five there and thus no album.” Eve replied.

 

“Bingo” AJ sighed.  “And they can’t fuck us over like that, so we’re suing them, trying to change the contract.”

 

AJ ran his hand through his hair as he sat up and sighed again.  Eve pouted as she slipped behind him and started to gently rub his shoulders.  As he leaned back she slid her hands over his chest and wrapped him in her arms.  Her head rested against his and they both sat there in silence. 

 

“Well we better get ready.” AJ said as he slowly sat up.

 

“Ready?” Eve asked as she looked at him confused.

 

“Yeah, if you want to shower go ahead; I’m gonna go grab a coffee.” He said standing up.

 

“Well wait, Alex where are we going?” She asked.

 

“To dinner.” He said standing at the door.  “Just wear one of those dresses we bought the other day.”  He smiled at her and then headed out of the room.  She sighed as she got up and headed to the bathroom, knowing he was up to something.

 

When AJ got back Eve was out of the shower and getting dressed, so before opening his coffee he decided to jump into the shower himself.  After his shower he styled his hair and then walked back into the room, he grabbed his suit bag from the closet and laid it on the bed.

 

“So where are we going?” Eve asked.

 

“Dinner” AJ said as he pulled the bag open. 

 

“I know but where?” She asked.

 

“To a restaurant” AJ smiled as he turned around and grabbed his luggage bag.  “By the way that dress looks stunning on you.” He smiled as he quickly kissed her on the forehead.

 

“Don’t change the subject.” She said quickly.  “But thank you.”

 

“Mums the word my dear.” AJ sighed as he took out his black dress shirt.

 

Eve grunted as she got up and headed into the bathroom, leaving AJ to his giggles.  By the time he had finished dressing Eve had done her hair and make-up.  “Let me grab my jacket.” She said as she walked over to the closet, he helped her put it on and then they left their room.

 

AJ pulled up to the front of the restaurant as the valet opened the door for Eve.  He gave the keys to the man as he walked around to the passenger side and took her by the arm.  They walked in and he led her to the host and confirmed his reservation, the man grabbed two menu’s and walked them to a table.  AJ sat Eve down and pushed in her chair, then took the seat to her right.

 

“This place is amazing.” She said once the waiter left and she looked around.

 

“Yeah it’s one of the best in town.” AJ told her as he opened up his menu.

 

“I’ve never been to a restaurant that didn’t have ketchup already on the table.” Eve commented as she looked at him.  A smiled broke from his face and he started to laugh.

 

“Evie.” He chuckled with a smile.

 

“I’m serious.” She smiled back.  “You’re not going to go all Richard Gere on me tonight are you?” She asked.

 

“Richard Gere?” AJ said confused and then it hit him and he started laughing again.  “No I just wanted to take you out to a nice dinner, would you relax.”  He looked back at his menu and then quickly added.  “Besides your way hotter than Julia Roberts anyways.”

 

Chapter 23 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                    Chapter Twenty-Three

 

 

 AJ went to turn his head but something was blocking it.  He wasn’t ready to wake up yet but his curiosity got the better of him, he wanted to know what was in his way.  His eyes fluttered open and he slowly lifted his head up.  Eve laid with her back against him, his head rested against hers, his arm was almost asleep as it laid under her, his other arm wrapped over her, and their fingers were tangled together.

 

Laying his head back down on his pillow he remembered the events from the night before, taking her out to dinner, going for a drive along the coast, the walk along the beach and the pier, and then returning to their room.   Lightly he kissed her bare shoulder as he remembered them making love until the early morning.  His cell phone started ringing and he carefully rolled over trying not to disturb her but trying to answer his phone so that it wouldn’t wake her either.  Quickly he flipped it open and put it to his ear.

 

“Hello?” He spoke, his voice still groggy and raspy.

 

“Mr. Mclean, this is detective Hurtz with the LA Police department, I am calling because I was told a Ms. Evelyn Deiu is with you.” The man said on the other end.

 

“Yes she is” AJ said as he slipped his arm from under her and sat up.  She mumbled and rolled onto her stomach and slid her arms under her pillow.  “Does this have something to do with Mats?” AJ asked as he sat up.

 

“This is about his accomplice, a snitch in the jail Mats is in over heard him talking about his partner following you to Florida, and we are currently interrogating him but we still don’t know what the man looks like, I needed to call and inform the both of you.” The man said.

 

“Ah, ok thank you.” AJ said trying to assess the situation.  

 

“I will contact the Orlando police to have them keep an eye on you.” The detective told him.

 

“Yes, yes thank you.” AJ nodded.

 

“Alright then, if I get anymore information I will call.”

 

“Ok, again thank you.” AJ said before the two said goodbye and hung up.  Flipping his phone close he brought the metal case to his lips, he wondered if the guy here watching them? Did he see them last night?  He looked over his shoulder to her sleeping soundly beside him.  How was he going to tell her, she was finally letting go; now she has to worry all over again.

 

Slowly AJ climbed out of bed, his naked body walked around picking up his scattered clothes, when he found his boxers he slipped them on and walked over to the hotel door.  The door was already locked but he reached up and hooked the chain latch over the door.  He walked over to the hotel phone, ordered room service for breakfast, and then hopped into the shower.  When he was done he got dress for the day, just as he was finishing there was a knock at the door.  AJ found himself walking hesitantly towards it and looking out the peep hole.  He relaxed a little when he saw the servant on the other side, reaching up he pulled the chain lock off and unlocked the door.

 

“It will be billed to the room.” The man told AJ.

 

“Thanks.” AJ said as he pulled in the tray.  Quickly he tipped the man and then closed the door, not turning his back on him.  Before he brought the rolling cart into the room he locked the door up again.  He set everything up on the table and then walked over to her side of the bed.

 

His hand brushed down her bare back between her shoulder blades and then he gently shook her.  “Eve” He said waking her.  Slowly she sat up on her arms and looked at him.  “Breakfast is here.”

 

“Ok.” She lightly smiled as she sat up wrapping the blankets around her.  “What time is it?” She asked.

 

“Ten.” AJ said as he handed her a robe. “We were up kind of late.” He smiled at her.  Eve smiled back as she tied her robe up and then softly kissed him.

 

“How long have you been awake?” she asked as she sat down.

 

“Not even an hour.” AJ replied as he lifted the lid to her food and to his.  Sitting down at the table he poured them both a glass of Orange Juice and began eating his food. 

 

“Have you heard from Brian or Kevin yet?” Eve asked as he picked up some eggs with her fork. 

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head.  “Not yet” He looked up at her and watched her for a minute as she ate.  Putting his fork down, he took a deep breath and then went for it.  “I got a call on my cell this morning, it was from Detective Hurtz.”

 

Oh?” Eve said looking up at him.  He hesitated and she read it on his face.  “What’s wrong?” She asked as she set down her fork.

 

“They think Mats partner followed us here.” AJ told her.

 

“Here?” Eve asked.  “How did they find that out?” She asked.

 

“Someone over her Mats talking in jail, they said they’re interrogating him and the guy he was talking to and will call when or if they have anything.” AJ told her as he reached over and took her hand.  “They’re calling the Orlando police to have someone keep an eye on you and the hotel.”

 

“Ok” She nodded and forced a smile. 

 

“You’re safe.” AJ said to her as he gently squeezed her hand.

 

“I know” Eve replied with a light nod.  “It’s just…” She stopped and sighed.  “I just thought at least here I wouldn’t have to worry about it for a few days.”

 

“And you don’t, they’re not even sure if he followed us Mats could just be talking shit.” AJ told her.  “I’m not gonna let anything happen to you Eve.”

 

“Maybe I shouldn’t go to your Mom’s then, I mean if he’s following us, I don’t want to put her in that kind of danger, look what happen to you.” Eve said as she looked up at him.

 

“I’m not leaving you here by yourself, so if you don’t feel comfortable going then I’ll stay too.” AJ said.

 

“No Alex I…you should go see your Mom while we’re here and stuff, I’ll be fine here.” Eve reassured him.

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head.  “I saw her yesterday if she wants she can come here but I go where you go right now.”

 

“Alex” Eve sighed.

 

“It’s ok sweetheart really, even I’m not in the mood to go out right now because of it, we’ll just stay in and relax watch some movies on pay per view or something.” AJ told her as he lightly squeezed her hand.  She looked up at him.  “Ok?”

 

“Ok” She hesitantly agreed with a nod.

 

“Well let’s eat before it gets cold.” He told her with a light smile.

 

When the couple finished AJ cleaned up as Eve got dressed then went and sat down on the couch.  He walked over to her after putting the trays outside the door and when he sat down she cuddled into him.  Leaning back against the arm he laid both of his legs out and let her lie on his chest.  His fingers drifted through her hair as the both sat in the quiet.

 

“Did you enjoy last night?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” She answered.  “It was pretty amazing.”

 

“Good, I’m glad.” AJ said with a smile as he wrapped his arms around her.  “You deserve many more nights like that.”

 

“As long as they’re with you I’ll be happy.” Eve said as she looked up at him.  “Oh” She said sitting up. “You better call your Mom.”

 

“Yeah” AJ sighed with a nod as he sat up.

 

“I’m going to go grab some Ice.” She told him as he started dialing on his cell phone.   They quickly kissed and then Eve grabbed the Ice bucket and headed out of the room.

 

“Hello?” His Mom answered as the door closed behind Eve.

 

“Hey Ma” AJ replied his attention momentarily taken by Eve walking away.

 

“Hello sweetheart, what time are you coming over?” She asked.

 

“Ah, kind of the reason why I called.” AJ said.  “I got a call from one of the Detectives working Eve’s case and they believe Mats accomplice followed us here.”

 

“Alex.” Denise said in a worried tone.

 

“If you want to come here that would be cool but Eve doesn’t want to go to your place and risk him following us there.” He told her.  “I don’t feel good about it either to tell…” He stopped a noise in the hallway took his attention.  Standing up AJ walked over to his hotel room door and looked out the peep hole, he didn’t see anything on the other side.

 

“Your phone cut out at the end I missed the last part.” Denise said as AJ unlocked the door.

 

“I said I don’t feel good about it either to tell you the truth.” He replied opening the door.  With the phone still to his ear he poked his head out and looked down the hall both ways.  The halls were empty and he frowned confused as he stepped back into his room.

 

“Well what are they doing about it?” Denise asked.

 

“They called the Orlando Police and the hotel manager and they’re on alert.” AJ told her as he shut the door.

 

“I don’t like this Alex, since she’s entered your life…” AJ cut her off.

 

“Ma.” He snipped.  “Stop now, just don’t even say it.” He moaned into the phone.

 

“I know you think that what the two of you have is…” AJ cute her off again.

 

“Mom, why can’t you just trust me?” He asked as he sat down on the corner of the bed.

 

“I do Alex it’s her I don’t trust.” Denise sighed.

 

“Well if you’d drop the damn wall and get to know her.” AJ replied “Look I gotta go, are you coming or not?” He asked.

 

“Fine, I’ll be over in a little bit.” She sighed.

 

“Thank you” AJ said relieved and then the two said goodbye.  He pressed end on his cell and sighed releasing some frustration.  Standing up he walked over to the table and put his phone down, then he heard the sound of men shouting and people running.  Curiously he walked over to the door and looked out the peep hole.  He saw two people struggling outside and he quickly unlocked his door and pulled it open.

 

“Get back inside your room sir!” The bigger man yelled and it didn’t hit AJ what was going on, so he stood there a moment stunned.  “Get back now!” The man yelled as he started to cuff the other man under him on the floor.  AJ stepped back and closed the door still some what bewildered.  Then in a split second it all hit him and he ripped open the door again.

 

“Sir!” The man yelled as AJ took off towards the Ice room.  His heart raced and not from him running. He could hear the man behind him use a radio, warning someone that he was coming.  As he ran down the hall a uniformed officer came out of the room and cut him off. 

 

“Let me go!” AJ shouted as the police officer grabbed him.

 

“You need to stay out here.” The man said to him.

 

“Where is she?” AJ asked as he tugged away from the officer and bee lined it to the Ice room.  He stopped dead when he saw another officer and a hotel security guard performing CPR on Eve.  His eyes dashed around them, she was on the ground, ice everywhere, blood everywhere, and that was all he could register as the Police Officer who stopped him pulled him out of the room.

 

“You need to stay out here.” He said to AJ. 

 

“I got a heart beat!” He heard one of the men shout from the room.  “Where are those EMT’s!?”

 

“She just went for some Ice.” AJ whispered confused and stunned.  “She just went for some Ice.” He repeated as he looked at the cop.

 

“We followed a suspicious man up to this floor, she was going into the ice room as he entered the hallway then grabbed her and pushed her into the room and attacked her just as we were getting there.  My partner was able to chase him down when he took off.”

 

AJ shook his head the events not registering.  “She just went to get some Ice.”

 

“She’s losing a lot of blood we need to get her to the hospital!” An officer yelled from the room.

 

“No” AJ whimpered as he looked at the doorway.  He couldn’t see inside anymore, the officer moved him away.  The sound of more people running behind him made him look over his shoulder and he saw the medics running around the corner with a stretcher.  It didn’t relax him or make him feel better.  He took a stepped towards the room but the officer stopped him again.

 

“Let me see her.” AJ pleaded with him.

 

“Give them room to work.” The officer told him.

 

“I want to see her!” AJ shouted breaking away from him and dashing to the room.

 

“On three, one, two, three.” The one EMT said as they lifted Eve unto the stretcher as she laid on the brace board.

 

“Eve?” AJ said as he stared at her.  Her shirt was cut open soaked in her own blood, and bandages just as soaked laid around her lower abdomen. The woman EMT stuck her with a needle and AJ found himself getting nauseated.

 

“Move Sir.” The medic said as they began to push the gurney through.  Slowly AJ backed away his eyes not being able to move from her as one of the medics held an oxygen mask over her face and pumped air into her lungs.  He watched in confusion and horror as was she was whisked away around the corner.

 

“I can take you to the hospital.” The officer said but all AJ could do was nod.

Chapter 24 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                     Chapter Twenty-Four

 

 

 AJ sat alone in the waiting room.  The colours on the wall, the chairs, and the electronics, that were placed in the room to make it a more calming place for people to be, did nothing to keep him calm.  He shook as he held his cell phone in his hands against his lips.  A tear dripped down following the same path all the other tears had gone down and landed the leg of his jeans.  His mind would not let him forget what he saw in the room, wouldn’t let him forget the ice scattered around the floor and it wouldn’t let him forget what she looked like, lying there motionless.  Tightly he closed his eyes and lowered his head as tried to push his emotions away, he didn’t want to deal with them right now, he just wanted to know if she was alive or…dead.

 

Slowly he slumped from his chair and fell to his knees.  He dropped his phone onto the floor and ran his fingers through his hair stopping near the top of his head.  Pulling on his own hair he curled his body as he knelt on the floor, sobbing.

 

“Please.” He blurted out.  “Please don’t take her away from me.” AJ sobbed on the floor.  “I am begging you.” He let go of his hair and looked up at the hospital ceiling, his head started to shake in disagreement.  “You can’t take her from me please, I need her.” He closed his eyes and lowered his head as he started crying again.  “How could you possibly need her more than me?” AJ sobbed as he rested his head in his hands. 

 

When he felt someone in front of him he looked up quickly and saw his Mom kneeling down in front of him.  At that moment he didn’t care how she acted towards Eve, how she always gave him a hard time about the two of them, all he cared about was that his Mom was right there.  Not saying a word as he broke out into more tears and sobs, he wrapped his arms around her neck and held her.  Her arms around him were comforting and soothing. 

 

“I should have gone with her, I shouldn’t of let her go by herself how could I’ve been so stupid.” AJ mumbled as they held onto each other.

 

“Alex you had no way of knowing he was going to rush into the room like he did.” Denise told him as she pulled her son away and looked at him.  “They weren’t even sure he was in Florida.”

 

“I should have protected her like I promised her and after everything they had already done.” He stopped and looked down at the ground.  “I shouldn’t have left her alone.”

 

“Alex” Denise sighed, the hurt of seeing her son in so much pain evident in her eyes and face.  “She’s going to make it Alex.”

 

“You don’t know that.” He snapped and stood up.  “You didn’t see her; you didn’t see her lying on the floor, blood everywhere, her blood.”  AJ stopped at the waiting room window.  His Mom stood up and picked up his phone.  She walked over to him and placed her hand on his back.  “I’d give it all up.” He whispered staring at the window.  “He can have it all back, the money, the music, the fans, the house, the cars, he can have it all, I don’t care I just want her.”  Denise pulled AJ into her arms as he started crying again.

 

The sound of people coming into the room pulled the two apart and AJ looked over at the entrance hoping it was a doctor but he was a little disappointed to see it was just his friends, his band mates. 

 

“Have you heard anything?” Kevin asked as Howie and him walked over to AJ and Denise.

 

“All I know is that she’s in surgery.” AJ said shaking his head. 

 

“Why don’t you go sit down darling?” Denise asked her son as she walked him over to one of the waiting room chairs.

 

“When was the last time you heard something?” Kevin asked as he sat down beside AJ.  He took a deep breath and wiped his eyes and then sighed.

 

“I dunno, a while ago.” AJ mumbled.

 

“How about I go get everyone a coffee, do you want a coffee Alex?” Denise asked as everyone started to sit down.

 

“Sure” AJ said with a light nod.  His Mom gave him another hug and then left the room with Howie to go get everyone some Coffee and drinks.

 

“Can you talk about what happened?” Kevin asked.

 

AJ took a deep breath and sat back.  “I got a call this morning from one of the detectives in LA saying they received information that Mats accomplice might have followed us here, they were sending someone over and informing the hotel what was going on.” AJ explained as Kevin, Nick and Brian listened.  “I ordered breakfast, I had a shower, I woke her up and then we ate.  I told her about the phone call and she decided she didn’t want to go to Mom’s today, she wanted to stay away if we were being followed.”

 

“So he wouldn’t follow you to your Mom’s house?” Nick asked and AJ nodded.

 

“I called Mom to let her know and Eve went to get some Ice cause she used the last of it in her Orange Juice and that girl won’t drink anything unless there’s Ice in it.” He told them with a light laugh.  Then the laugh turned into small sobs and he put his head in his hands.  “I should have gone or at least gone with her.” He moaned.

 

“Dude you didn’t know.” Kevin told him as he placed his hand on his friends back.

 

“But I did know!” AJ shouted standing up.  “I knew he was following us, I had just gotten off the fucking phone with the detective and I let her walk out the door alone.”

 

“Mr. Mclean?” A man’s voice cut short the conversation.  AJ turned around and saw the Doctor standing in the doorway.  AJ couldn’t say anything as he walked over to the man in the long white jacket.  His heart started racing faster, his hands were sweaty and he was pretty sure he was shaking.

 

“Is…Is she going to be ok?” AJ asked and his whole body tensed waiting to hear the answer.

 

“Right now we just don’t know.” The doctor told him.  “Can we have a seat?”  AJ lightly nodded as he walked over to a chair and sat down.  “She was stabbed three times in the lower abdomen and she lost an extreme amount of blood.  In surgery we had to repair some damage to her colon but most the damage was done to her Uterus.  We tried to repair as much as we could but the damage was so severe she started hemorrhaging on the table and I with two other doctors thought it was best to remove it.” 

 

“Her body has lost a lot of blood; it is a miracle she even made it to the hospital or through surgery.” The doctor told him.  “I can’t tell you right now if she’s going to pull through because we just don’t know but if she makes it through the night things will be looking up.”

 

“C-c-can I s-s-see her.” AJ stuttered, which was something he hadn’t done in years.

 

“Yes, just one at a time, only for a few minutes, she needs her rest.” The doctor told him as they both stood up.  AJ looked back at Kevin.

 

“I’ll let your Mom know.” Kevin said as he nodded for AJ to follow the doctor.

 

“She’s in that room.” The doctor said as he pointed to a large wooden door. 

 

A feeling of déjà vu came over him, once again he found himself standing outside of a hospital door unable to enter.  Again his hands started to shake as he wiped the sweat off of them onto his jeans.  He reached for the door, then stopped, his hand reaching for the knob, he found himself not able to move.  Closing his eyes he took a deep breath.

 

“At least get in there and say goodbye.” His mind yelled at him but as quickly as it had entered it was gone, replaced with thoughts of how she was going to live, going to make it and they’d be together.  With one final deep breath AJ turned the knob and opened the door. His eyes locked onto her and his breath rushed from his lungs.  She lied motionless on the bed, her arms beside her, her chest barely moving up and down and had it not been for the Heart monitor beeping he would have wondered if she was breathing at all.  Her skin was pale and off colour, her lips were dry and cracked and her eyes had purple rings around them.  Slowly he walked over to her bed and sat down, pulling the chair as close as he could.

 

He put his hands in a praying position, his elbows resting on the edge of her bed and rested his forehead against them as he started to cry.  The feeling of cold fingers touching his arm made his head shoot up and his eyes locked with hers as they stared at him half open.  AJ didn’t know what to say to her, what to tell her, so he took her hand and brought it to his lips and gently kissed the back of her fingers. 

 

“It’s not good is it?” She asked weakly.

 

“You’re going to be fine.” He told her still holding her hand as he sniffed.

 

“You’re lying.” She replied and he looked at her confused.  “When you lie your lips purse.” She told him as a small smile came over his face.

 

“Eve” He sighed.

 

“Will you make sure I’m put with Sean?” She asked.  AJ closed his eyes fighting back the tears.

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head and her face fell in confusion.  “I’m not letting you go and you’re not going to give up.  You’re going to fight Evelyn like you always have.”

 

“Alex” Her weak voice whispered.

 

“I’m not ready to let you go, I didn’t get shot just to watch you slip away from me.” He told her.  “Please Eve fight, fight hard and stay here with me.”

 

“Just promise me Alex please.  Promise you’ll make sure I’m buried next to him.”

 

His eyes fell in pain, the tears came out but there was no sobbing.  He closed his eyes and answered.  “I promise.”

 

“Then I promise I’ll fight.” She whispered to him as she rested her hand against his cheek.  He leaned his head against the palm of her hand and looked at her.

 

“Get some rest sweetheart, ok?” He said as he took her hand back.  Eve lightly nodded as she closed her eyes.  Carefully AJ leaned in and gingerly kissed her lips and then her forehead.  “I love you.” He whispered into her ear.

 

“I love you too.” She mumbled back her eyes still closed.

 

AJ sat beside her, holding her hand as she drifted off to sleep.  It was hard to look away, would it be the last time he would hear her say those words, would it be the last time he held her hand, or would everything really be ok.  When he knew she was fast asleep he stood up and left the room and almost slammed into the nurse as she headed to Eve’s room.  The woman asked if she was awake and AJ told her she was but not now.  The woman smiled at him and walked into the room.  Sluggishly he walked down the hall and into the waiting room where his Mom and the guys were all waiting.  They stood up when he entered looking at him.  He collapsed into a chair and started crying, everything he held back, everything he fought back came rushing out of him.

 

“She knows it’s not good.” AJ sobbed.  “She made me promise I’d make sure she was put next to Sean.”

 

“Sean?” His mother said confused.

 

“Her brother.” AJ said quickly.  “What am I going to do if she doesn’t make it?” He cried as he wrapped his arms around Denise and began to bawl.

 

“Maybe you should go back to the hotel, have shower, something to eat…” His Mom started to say.

 

“No” AJ cut in shaking his head.  “I need to stay here.  I don’t want to be at my damn hotel in case…” He paused then put his head back in hands and sighed.  “I need to be alone, I need a couple of minutes, figure shit out.” He said standing up.  “I’m going for a smoke.”

 

Howie handed him his coffee as he headed out of the waiting room and down to the elevators.  When he got outside he fumbled for his cigarettes as he sat down on a bench.  Holding the smoke in his lips he pulled open the lid to his coffee and took a drag as he pulled the cigarette from his mouth.  AJ closed his eyes as he exhaled the smoke from his lungs, his body relaxing from the nicotine but only a little.  Someone sat down beside him and he opened his eyes and looked.

 

“Thought I said I wanted to be alone.” AJ mumbled as he put his coffee to his lips.

 

“Since when have I listened to a damn word you say?” Kevin asked as he sat back.  AJ smirked and lightly rolled his eyes as he set his coffee cup beside him on the seat.

 

“Fuck Kev, I’m so scared.” AJ said before he took another drag.

 

“I know you are man.” Kevin replied as he put his hand on the back of AJ’s neck and lightly squeezed.  “But you said yourself she’s a strong woman, she’s been through a lot and she’ll get through this.”

 

“But what if she doesn’t.” AJ asked as he looked at his band mate.  “What if I go back up there and she’s gone, what if I wake up tomorrow and find out she’s gone…I-I” AJ stopped talking and fought back the tears.  “I don’t remember my dad leaving, I just remember him not being around, not wanting me, and the feeling it left me with.”  He took a deep breath and a sip of his coffee.  “Feeling unwanted even though I had all these people around, feeling like something was wrong with me because not even my own father wanted to be with me, wanted to love me, have anything to do with me.” He sighed putting the cup back down.  “I tried to fix it, I tried to fix it with girls who wanted to love me, who wanted to be with me but they didn’t want me they wanted AJ Mclean and then she came along.”

 

“She wanted me Kev, she wanted me, and she needed me because she needed the love I had for her.  Eve never wanted my money, she never wanted my fame she wanted my love.  The only person in her life who ever loved her was her brother and she had him ripped away from her by someone who was supposed to love her just as much as he did.  She went years without knowing it, without feeling it, then I came along and gave it too her.”

 

“I’m sure you gave her much more love than she was expecting.” Kevin said with a light smile.  “And you’ll have lots of time to give her more of it, you just need to stay strong, keep it together and be there for her.”

 

“Yeah cause my track record shows how good I am at that.” AJ sighed.

 

“But she’s different right?” Kevin asked as AJ looked at him over his cup.  “She’s not like the other girls, you know what the two of you have is real, not some substitute feeling.”

 

AJ slowly nodded understanding where Kevin was going.  The two sat outside the hospital nothing but the sounds of cars driving by and the odd persons walking by talking to each other.  When AJ was done his smoke he looked into his cup of coffee and saw it was almost gone so he tossed his cigarette butt into the cup and stood up.

 

“Going back up?” Kevin asked as he followed. 

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded as he tossed the cup into the garbage and headed to the general entrance doors.

 

 

Chapter 25 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                     Chapter Twenty-Five

 

 

 AJ sat on a long bench of chairs, his feet resting on a chair while he sat on another.  His head rested against the sweater his Mom gave him to use as a pillow hoping he would sleep but he couldn’t.  So instead he sat leaning against the wall, flipping through his cell phone picture album, and lost himself in better times.

 

“Excuse me?” A woman said as she stood in the doorway.  AJ looked up and saw the night nurse looking at him.  “She wants to see you.”  He quickly got up and followed the nurse out of the waiting room.  Opening the door AJ quietly he slowly walked into her room and saw her laying on the bed staring at her curtains.

 

“Eve?” AJ said as he walked over to the chair.  Her eyes drifted to him and she reached for his hand.  Slipping his fingers through hers he sat down by her bedside.

 

“I just wanted you here.” She told him her voice still weak and dry.  “Were you sleeping?” She asked.

 

“No” AJ replied shaking his head lightly.  “But why I aren’t you? You need your rest.”

 

“Bad dream” She whispered.  “The nurse was here when I woke up and I asked her to go get you.”  AJ lightly smiled at her as he kissed her hand and rested it against the side of his neck.

 

“Well then you can go back to sleep cause I’m here now.” He told her as a soft smile broke from her lips and her eyes slowly closed.

 

AJ stayed at her bed side the rest of the night and never let go of her hand, even when he fell asleep.  He was awoken the next morning by a nurse coming in and checking on Eve’s vitals and he decided to step out quickly for a smoke and to see if anyone was still around.

 

“There you are.” His Mom said as he walked into the waiting room.  He was surprised to see her and Kristin there.

 

“Yeah the nurse came and got me last night, Eve woke up wanted to see me, guess I feel asleep in there.” He told her as she hugged him.

 

“Well at least you got some sleep.” She sighed.  “Where are you going now?”

 

“For a smoke while the nurse does her thing.” AJ told her.

 

“How is she doing?” Kevin asked.

 

“She’s alive, nurse said her vitals are strong, and she made it through the night, so I guess that’s good.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“Need some company?” Kevin asked as AJ turned to leave.

 

“No” He said turning around.  “This time no, I’m good.”  Kevin smiled at him and AJ left heading to the elevators.  When he got outside he walked over to the local coffee shop and picked up a coffee and then sat outside.  He sat quietly at the small table looking at the hospital across the street.  He wanted to be happy; relieved she made it through the night but he couldn’t he wondered what would be next.  Would she make it through the night only to slip away this afternoon?  AJ tried not to think about it but it haunted him.  Tossing down his smoke he walked back over to the hospital and put his coffee cup into the garbage before he walked into the building.

 

He walked onto the floor and gave a wave to everyone as he walked past the waiting room.  When he walked into her room he was greeted with a weak smile but it was a smile none the less.

 

“Did you just wake up?” He asked and she nodded. “How do you feel?”

 

“Tired but better than yesterday.” She said with a light smile.

 

“Did they tell you what happened?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” She said quietly. 

 

“Did you want to talk about it?” He asked as he took her hand.

 

“Not right now.” She said looking at him.

 

“Ok” He nodded squeezing her hand lightly. 

 

“Have you talked to your Mom at all?” She asked.

 

“Yeah she’s here.” AJ said nodding.

 

“Oh she is?” Eve said a little shocked.

 

“She was the first one here and the last one to leave last night.” AJ told her.

 

“Good, I’m glad she’s here for you.” Eve replied with a light smile. She took a deep breath and her eyes fluttered.

 

“Nap time?” AJ asked and she nodded. Carefully he brushed her hair from her face trying to tuck her bangs behind her ear but the breathing tube under her nose hooked around her ears.  He sat at her bed side watching her slowly fall back asleep.

 

His body yearned to take her into his arms to climb into the bed with her and hold her.  The sound of her door opening distracted him and he sat up as he saw his Mom walk into the room.

 

“Hey” He said unsure why she was coming to see him.

 

“Still sleeping?” Denise asked nodding to Eve.

 

“She was awake when I came back but she’s out again.” AJ said with a light smile.  “Doctor said its normal she’ll be in and out of it the next couple of days.”

 

“How are you doing?” She asked.

 

“I’m ok.” He nodded.  “I’m sure once she’s really ok and out of the woods it’ll be another story but right now I’m just happy she made it through to today.”

 

“You really should go home and eat something and shower.” Denise said to him as she stood near the end of the bed.

 

“I can’t leave yet.” AJ said as he looked at Eve.

 

“I’ll stay here if you want me too.” Denise said and AJ turned to her.  “I’ll stay here and you go to the hotel or my house or something, take a shower, get dressed, and have some food.”

 

“Mom I said no” AJ snapped and she looked at him in shock.  “I’m sorry.” He apologized.  “I told her nothing would happen to her, I told her I wasn’t going to leave her side and look what happened, I’m not making that mistake again.”

 

“Alex you didn’t know, the police didn’t even know for sure, you need to stop blaming yourself.” Denise said with a frown.

 

“Well maybe when she gets out of here I’ll look into it but right now I feel like a huge fuck up.” He sighed as he looked at her sleeping.

 

“Alexander James McLean.” Denise said sternly.  “This is not your fault, what happened to her, it was Mats and his friend and if you keep feeling guilty over this then everything Mats wanted to do to you he did it.” AJ looked at her.  “The police said he wanted to hurt you, get back at you, well if you keep acting this way it’ll eat you up inside and then what will happen? Start drinking again, you’ll start the drugs again, and then where does that leave her?” Denise said pointing to Eve.  “Go back to the hotel, have a shower, change into some fresh clothes and get something to eat; I’ll stay here with her.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded finally giving in.  He kissed her hand and placed it back onto the bed.  Standing up he walked over to his Mom and hugged her.  “Thank you”

 

Denise smiled as they pulled away and AJ said goodbye then headed out the door.  He walked down to the waiting room and saw all his friends still there.  “Can I get a ride back to the hotel?” AJ asked as he walked up to Kevin.  “The cops brought me here, Mom’s watching Eve while I go back to grab something to eat and shower.”

 

“Yeah man sure” Kevin said standing up.

 

“I’ll come with you” Kristin said as she followed them.

 

“So your Mom’s with her?” Kevin asked as they drove out of the hospital.

 

“Yeah” AJ said with a light laugh.  “Gives me hope.”

 

“She’s pretty worried about you.” Kristin said looking back at him.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “I’m fine though really, well right now I am.”

 

Kevin pulled into the Hotel parking lot and everyone got out of the car.  He led them upstairs too his room and purposely kept his eyes on the floor not wanting to look at the end of the hall.  Putting his key card into the lock he waited for it to beep and then walked into the room.  Everything was as he left it only coming back to grab his phone after Eve was attacked.

 

“Have a seat, watch some TV I’ll be out in a bit.” AJ said grabbing his bag and walking into the bathroom.  He showered and took longer than he normally did just standing under the stream of water.  When he got out he wrapped the hotel towel around him and wiped off the foggy mirror.  He looked at the rings around his eyes from lack of sleep and sighed, it was funny he didn’t feel tired until he walked into the room.  Drying off his hair and himself he got dressed and walked out of the bathroom.  Kevin and Kristin were on the couch talking.

 

“Are you eating here?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’ll grab something to go down at the restaurant.” AJ said as he brushed his hair back.

 

“Are you grabbing anything for her?” Kevin asked as AJ put on his jacket.

 

“Not yet, going to wait and see how long she might be in there.” AJ told them.  “I might just pack everything up and stay at Mom’s until she’s released.”

 

“ET keeps calling they want an interview, well they call Jive and the managers and they call me.” Kevin sighed.

 

“I’m not doing no damn interview.” AJ said shaking his head.

 

“I know” Kevin replied putting up his hands.  “Have you heard anything from the detective?”

 

“Just that they charged him with attempted murder and are negotiating with LA over the rap charges.” AJ told them.  “They also found out something from Mats.”

 

“What?” Kevin and Kristin asked.

 

“They asked him why shoot me and send Thomas, that’s the other dudes name, why send him after Eve.”

 

“What did he say?” Kevin asked.

 

“Mats told them it was because of me, because he was in love with her, he wanted her but she didn’t want him.  He was ok with it because she never dated much and she was at the club almost every night.”

 

“Then you came along.” Kristin frowned.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “Remember the barbeque, the last one Sarah went too, and she freaked out because she wanted to go talk?” He asked and the couple nodded.

 

“You said you were going out and she spazzed.” Kevin replied.

 

AJ nodded.  “I went and met Mats at the club and he was there with another dancer and Eve, it was their night off, I always thought he invited her but now I’m not so sure.” He said slipping into a thought then he shook his head.  “Anyways, that’s the night we hooked up; I went back to her place after.  He played it off like I was making some big play but really he was trying to find out what was going on.”

 

“Did you tell him?” Kevin asked.

 

“No, I didn’t tell anyone about anything really.” AJ replied.  “I left everyone in the dark because I didn’t know myself, we both didn’t there was just something there pulling us together.”

 

“Is that why he told Sarah?” Kristin asked.

 

“I think so, wanted to stir up shit but when that didn’t work and he realized how close the two of us were getting he went over the edge.” AJ said with a sigh.  “It wasn’t about her at all it was about me, hurting me the way I had hurt him.”

 

“Well now you don’t have to worry about it at all, they’re both locked up.” Kevin said.  AJ nodded as he waited for someone to take his to go order.  “Are you still blaming yourself?”

 

“For not going with her? Every second.” AJ said as a woman approached him.  He gave her his order of a club sandwich and then looked back at Kevin.

 

“Dude you had know way of knowing, first you weren’t even sure he was there in Florida second, she just went to get some Ice, the threat was outside not inside.”  Kevin told him as he put his hand on his shoulder.

 

“I told her I wouldn’t let anything happen to her and look what happened to her.” AJ said quietly. 

 

“It wasn’t your fault Alex and I’m sure she knows that.” Kristin said as they sat at the bar waiting for his order.

 

“Well I’m glad she does.” AJ sighed as he looked down at the bar and strummed his fingers.  A few minutes later the waitress came out and handed him a box and a can of soda, the group of three then left the hotel and headed back to the hospital as AJ ate in the back seat of the car. 

 

“This is a rental man don’t spill that radioactive shit in this car.” Kevin said looking into his review mirror as AJ wiped up some soda spillage.

 

“Learn to drive and you won’t have to worry about it.” AJ joked.

 

“Make sure you throw that crap out.” Kevin said as AJ got out of the car.

 

“Yes Mom.” AJ joked as he rolled his eyes.

 

 

Chapter 26 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                      Chapter Twenty-Six

 

 

 Hour by hour, day by day, Eve got stronger and a week after she had entered the hospital near death, she was able to leave it on her own.  She sat in the rental car beside AJ on their way back to Cali.  Kevin and Kristin decided to go back with them, since flying was a no-no right now, driving was their only option and AJ just wanted to get her home.  So the couple decided to go with them, less driving stress on AJ since they had to stop every hour and let Eve walk around and it would be a nice little road trip home.  When the time got closer to midnight they decided to pull off and get a room finish the trip home tomorrow.

 

“I’m going to go have a bath.” Eve told AJ as she got up from the couch.

 

“Do you need help?” He asked.

 

“No I’m ok; my stomach hasn’t been as sore the last couple of days.” She replied as she grabbed her PJ’s and headed into the bathroom.  AJ smiled as he watched her disappear into the bathroom.  One more day and she would be home but the closer to home he got the worse he felt.  This was all his fault, he shouldn’t have let her go to the ice room alone, the police told him there was a possibility Thomas was there and after everything him and Mats had done he should have known better than to just let her walk out into the hall alone.  What made the guilt worse was what she had lost because of his stupidity. 

 

“Alex?” Her voice broke him from his thoughts and he turned around.  She looked at him waiting for him to answer.  “Did you hear me?”

 

“Oh, no I guess not” He smiled embarrassingly at her.  “What did you need?”

 

She sat down beside him in her robe.  “Where did you go just now?” She asked with a light smile.

 

“No where.” He replied shaking his head.  “Just lost in thought I guess.”

 

She took his hand. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing” He replied and he noticed he tried to hide his lips from tightening.

 

“Alex” She said letting him know she wasn’t buying it.  “You’ve been like this since we left Florida.”

 

“Been like what?” He asked a little defensive.

 

“Like you’re not here, it’s not the first time you haven’t heard me because you were lost in thought.” She said concerned.

 

“It’s been a stressful week and I’m just looking forward to getting you home.” He told her with a light smile as he got up from the couch.

 

“It’s not your fault Alex.” She told him and he stopped at the mini fridge door.  “There was nothing you could have done.”

 

“Nothing?” AJ snapped as he turned around.  “I should have gone with you or I should have at least gone to get it myself.”

 

“I went to get some Ice how were you or I for that matter supposed to know he’d be there.” Eve said as she stood up and walked over to him. “You yourself said Mats was probably bullshitting.”

 

“But the police said…”

 

“The police said they thought he might have followed us.” She told him as she took his hand but he pulled it away.  “AJ”

 

“I don’t want to talk about it ok.” He said as he headed to their bed.

 

“Babe, we need to talk about this.”

 

“Ok then let’s talk about how you’ll never have kids!” AJ barked as he looked at her.  “You’ll never do the little test thing and get all excited, you’ll never get to deal with morning sickness, you’ll never get to hear your child’s heart beat or feel it move, and you’ll never know what it’s like to hold them in your arms, so now let’s discuss.” He snapped as he pointed and waited for her to respond but the agony in her eyes, on her lips was enough of a slap in the face to make him realize how he had snapped at her.

 

AJ closed his eyes and sighed and then looked at her.  “Eve I’m sorry.”  She didn’t say anything; she just raised her hand to stop him from talking anymore as she turned around and headed into the bathroom closing the door behind her.  “Good one you fucking douche bag.” AJ sighed as he flumped down onto the bed.  He laid back staring at the ceiling as all the ways he could apologize to her went over in his head.  When he heard the bathroom door open he sat up quickly. He watched her walk out as she scrubbed at her hair with the towel and sat down in the chair at the eating table.

 

“Eve?” AJ said as he slid to the end of the bed.

 

“What?” She grumbled still scrubbing at her hair.

 

“I’m sorry” He said again.

 

“I know you are” Eve replied as she stood up and tossed the towel onto the back of the chair.  She walked over to her side of the bed and slipped in.  AJ frowned as he watched her, the white of her eyes were red which obviously meant she was crying, crying meant pain, and pain meant he hurt her.

 

“I shouldn’t have said it.” He spoke up.

 

“Why not, it’s true.” She told him as she lied on her side.  “But it’s not that, that hurts when I think about it.”  AJ slid up on the bed sitting beside her his hand gently rested on her hip. 

 

“Then what does?” He asked.  Slowly she sat up in front of him and sighed.

 

“You always talk about what I’ve been through and how I deserve you, us and what we have.” She told him as he nodded listening.  “But what about you AJ?” She asked looking at him.  “After everything you’ve been through with your Dad, don’t you deserve to be something he wasn’t? Don’t you deserve to look into your child’s eyes and see your own?” A tear rolled down her cheek.  “This is my burden to bare not yours and I can’t expect you to stay with someone who…”

 

“Evelyn don’t even say it.” AJ said as he put his finger to her lips.  “You and I both know it takes more than making a baby to being a parent.”

 

“I know but it’s not that, it’s the fact you deserve to look at your child and see a part of yourself looking back?” She cried as she wiped her eyes.

 

“Don’t you?” Aj asked her.

 

“No” Eve whispered as she lightly shook her head.

 

“What do you mean no?” AJ asked shocked.

 

“I chose that life, to be around people like Mats and Thomas, I chose to dance, and this is what happened, I put myself in that danger and now I take responsibility for it.” She told him.  “This is my problem and it’s not fare to you, you deserve so much more than what I can ever give you.” Eve told him as she fought back the tears.

 

“Let’s say your right, we get back to Cali we go our separate ways, and I meet someone else.  We fall in love, we get married, we have kids, and then we divorce and why do we divorce? Because she’s not you Evelyn.” AJ said as he lifted her head with his finger under her chin.  “It won’t matter that the kids are mine sweetheart because their Mom isn’t you, you weren’t there to share it with me, and that’s what I want, that’s what I choose.” Eve whimpered as she slid her arms under his and hugged him.  He rested his head against hers as she sobbed. 

 

“I’m sorry I snapped at you the way I did, I was just so…”

 

“Angry and frustrated.” She sighed as she pulled away and wiped her eyes with the bottom of her tank top.

 

“Yeah” He replied with a light smile, knowing she’d understand.  “I promised you I wouldn’t let anything happen to you, that you would be safe and I would protect you, I didn’t do that.”

 

“He came out of no where Alex, he grabbed me, turned me around, stabbed me and I blacked out before I even hit the ground.  I didn’t even see him.  There was nothing you could have done, even if you had come with me.” Eve told him as she touched his cheek and then she lightly kissed him.  “Come to bed, Kevin wants to leave early tomorrow.”

 

Eve slid back to her spot on the bed and laid on her side as he started to undress, tossing his clothes onto the floor, with nothing but his boxers on he crawled under the covers beside her.  AJ leaned in for a simple goodnight kiss not knowing Eve had other things on her mind.  But he caught on quick as her tongue danced around his and her fingers skimmed down his chest. She floated them around his abs and his waist and then slid her hand into his boxers.  Their lips parted and he stared at her as he felt her fingers wrap around him.  His eyes didn’t break from hers as she started to stroke his erection.  The doctor told her she couldn’t have intercourse or sexual activities for at least six weeks; he didn’t say anything about him.

 

AJ reached under the blankets and slid his hand under her shirt, taking her breast into his hand.  He shivered with a soft moan as her hand began to tug a little harder.  Her lips grazed past his, his lower body started to rock with the motion of her hand and he pressed his forehead against hers.

 

“Close your eyes.” She whispered to him her lips brushing past his with each word and he did as she said as her hand erotically twisted up down his shaft.  “Imagine us in your bed.” She softly spoke.  “Me on top making love to you.”  A tiny grin broke from his lips and she gripped him a little tighter in her hand.  “I lean down and start to kiss your neck.” She muttered as her lips pressed against his neck.  This time a small grin broke from her lips as he moaned and shivered again.  “Down your chest.” Her lips drifted to the top of his chest. 

 

When she looked at him again his eyes were still closed, she could tell he was lost in their fantasy and she didn’t need to narrate anymore for him. She returned to caressing his neck, every once in a while her tongue would tenderly lick his skin before her lips would return.  As her hand began to stroke faster his moans became quietly erotic and his body lightly shuddered.  Gently she pressed her lips to his and as his tongue tangled around hers he moaned again.

 

“Eve” AJ gasped when he quickly pulled his lips away resting his forehead against hers, and squeezed her breast as his body began to tremble.  The fantasy was ending as the warm sensation left his lower body and he opened his eyes to look at the woman that made him feel this way.  He breathed heavily as her hand and his pace slowed.  She softly fondled him in his boxers as they stared at each other.  His hand let go of her breast and slid from her shirt.  Placing it on the side of her neck he tenderly brushed his thumb across her lips as her hand slipped out of his boxers.  Using his thumb almost like a guide he leaned in and kissed her.

 

Eve grabbed their blankets and wrapped them around him as she slid as close to him as possible.  Her head rested under his chin and laid against his chest, it was a little sweaty but she didn’t mind.  Lovingly she caressed the area in front of her with her lips as his fingers drifted through her hair.  The last thing she remembered was hoping she would stay in his arms like this all night as her heavy eyes began to fall.

 

 

Chapter 27 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                    Chapter Twenty-Seven

 

 

 “How’s she doing?” Howie asked AJ as the two sat with Kevin, Brian and Nick at a table outside of a restaurant.  They were all gathered for lunch after meeting with their lawyers. 

 

“Eve?” AJ asked and Howie nodded.  “She’s doing better.” He told them.

 

“Kristin said she was at the doctors the other day.” Kevin replied.

 

“Yeah, I guess she’s been going through what her docs call artificial menopause.” AJ explained.

 

“Isn’t she a little young?” Nick said.

 

“No, its normal for someone who’s had their uterus removed, most hysterectomy patients go through it. AJ told them.

 

“You should keep your voice down.” Brian said.

 

“Uterus.” AJ said smiling at Brian.

 

“Alex” Brian sighed.

 

“Uuuteruuuss.” AJ said laughing as Brain went red.

 

“Ok you had your fun” Kevin said slapping AJ on the arm.

 

“Uterus.” AJ quickly squeaked out and Nick started laughing.

 

“You need to get laid.” Kevin smirked as even he chuckled to himself.

 

“Couple more weeks.” AJ sighed.

 

“Arm getting sore?” Nick asked still laughing a little.

 

“Not his.” Kevin said quickly.

 

“Hey” AJ frowned.

 

“Oh what ya’ll can talk about my woman but I can’t say shit about yours?” Kevin said as he rolled his eyes at everyone.

 

“So what’s the word on the guy that attacked her?” Howie asked as everyone started sorting out the bill.

 

“He was sentenced in Florida for the attempted murder, they brought him here for the rape charges, and the case gets heard on Monday.” AJ told him as he handed Kevin some money.

 

“Is she going?” Nick asked.

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head quickly.  “Think we’re just gonna spend that day together.”  Everyone shook hands and quickly hugged, agreeing they would all meet up at Kevin’s later for a barbeque and talk in a more private setting about the case.

 

“So how long has it been now?” Kevin asked as the two of them walked down to the car.

 

“For what?” AJ asked

 

“For you and Eve?” Kevin lightly laughed.

 

“Almost five months.” AJ replied with a light smile.

 

“That’s what Kris said.” Kevin sighed and AJ wondered if he lost a bet.  “Got anything special planned?”

 

“Not yet, still got a couple of weeks.” He replied with a light shrug.

 

“Why don’t I believe you?” Kevin said eyeing him as they stopped at AJ’s car.

 

“I don’t know.” AJ replied as he turned off his alarm.  “Catch ya later man.”

 

“Later” Kevin nodded with a smile as he walked away.

 

 

 

“Hello?!” AJ shouted as he walked into his house, when she didn’t answer he quickly jogged down to his office.  He walked over to a cabinet and set too white bags inside of it, closing it quickly.  Leaving his office he walked down the hall and stopped at the stairs. “Evie!?” He shouted up them but there was still no answer.  AJ walked into the kitchen and looked out the back windows, a smile came over his face when he saw her laying in the sun out back. Quickly he grabbed a cup then quietly walked out back and over to the pool.  Scooping up some water he slowly walked over to her.

 

“Do it and I swear I’ll make you female in two seconds.” She spoke up as she raised her hand to him.

 

“Damn woman.” AJ said with a frown. 

 

“Next time don’t come shouting through the house.” She replied as she turned to him and looked over her sunglasses at him.  He pouted as he walked over to her and she giggled as he sat down beside her.  “How was the meeting?”

 

“Good” He nodded.  “We’ll know a trial date and all that in a week or so.”

 

“Aren’t you worried they’ll get pissed and stone wall you?” She asked.

 

“A little but we never wanted to be treated like a puppet band, what ever fine we’re a boy band but we broke the fucking mold.” He said.  “But we will never be a puppet band and we’ve let that slid because we’ve been working none stop.”

 

“Well all of you are burnt out.” Eve said.  “You can see it in all your faces.”

 

“Kevin said now that were suing them for staling us on the new album he wants to take a year off, mostly for me, make sure I get a good solid break from touring and the stress.” He told her.  “Nick’s doing his album and by the sounds of it they’re pushing him to get some tracks down while they’re going through the courts. That’s going to eat up a couple of Months, who knows how long the case will take, so we might as well.” He shrugged.

 

“That would be nice” Eve smiled as he took her hand and moved to her chair.

 

“I’m not complaining.” He said as he nestled in beside her.  “Kevin wants us to come by for a barbeque later did you want to go?”

 

“Sure” She replied as she looked down at him.  “Join me for a shower?”

 

“Don’t have to ask me twice.” He said as he quickly got up and she lightly laughed following him into the house.

 

 

 

 

“Oh my god this is so good.” Kristin mumbled as she took a spoon full of food.

 

“I told you.” AJ said with a smile as he took another fork full.

 

“Well don’t eat it all.” Leigh Anne sighed as she grabbed the bowl walked towards the back.

 

“I need to get that from her, Kev is always complaining about how misses his Mom’s pasta salad, but don’t tell him Eve’s is way better.” Kristin said with a smile.  “And her lasagna last week was freaking awesome.”

 

“I know, I’m going to get fat this year with no tour and her feeding me.” AJ sighed.

 

“So your 5 months is coming up, got anything planned?” Kristin asked as she sliced up some more carrots.

 

“Maybe” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“Awww tell me, tell me.” Kristin said smiling.

 

“You just want me to tell you so you can hang it over Kevin’s head that you know.” AJ laughed.

 

“So?” Kristin said nonchalantly.  AJ laughed some more shaking his head.

 

“Alright but you tell know one.” AJ said looking around and Kristin sealed her lips. “I rented a lodge up at Sugar Bowl, going to spend the weekend there, maybe do some skiing.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“That sounds nice.” Kristin nodded.  “Is there a ring going with you?”

 

“Ring?” Brian said walking into the room.  “Who has a ring?”

 

“No one, well I got some not wearing them today though.” AJ said looking at his hands.

 

“Don’t be a smart ass Alex, you better not be asking her to marry you.” Brian snipped.

 

“Whoa dude chill, no one said anything about me marrying Eve.”

 

“You’re marrying Eve!?” Brian’s wife said with excitement.

 

“No” AJ sighed as he lowered his head.

 

“Damn right your not.” Brian spoke out.

 

“Brian.” Both Leigh Anne and Kristin said.

 

“Well I’m sorry but its one thing to date her but to throw his whole life away?” Brian said harshly.

 

“Excuse me?” AJ replied back floored. “Where the hell is this coming from?”

 

“It’s coming from the fact that she can’t give you what you need Alex, a family.” Brian explained.  “She chose the path she has taken; you should not suffer for it.”

 

“That is the most closed minded shit I have ever heard!” AJ shouted.  “But you don’t have to worry ok, if you’d paid attention in the first place I said, I am not going to ask Eve to marry me!”  The sound of Kevin clearing his throat made everyone spin around.  Eve rushed back the way she came.  Quickly AJ got up off the stool and chased after her.

 

“Stop.” AJ said to her as he grabbed her arm. “Let me explain.”

 

“You don’t have too I heard everything.” She said as she looked up at him.

 

“Everything?” AJ asked.

 

“Well everything from I can’t give you what you need to how you don’t want to marry me.” She replied.

 

“I didn’t say that.” AJ told her as he placed his hands on her arms.  He took a deep breath and sighed knowing he was going to have to ruin his surprise.  “I told Kristin about how I was planning on taking you up to one of the ski hills for the weekend and she joked about a ring.  Brian over heard it and opened his big mouth, I just meant I wasn’t going to ask you that weekend, doesn’t mean I don’t want too.”  Gently he rubbed her arms.  “I want it to be perfect, you deserve it.”

 

“There you go talking about what I deserve what about you.” Eve said to him.  “Brian’s right you shouldn’t have to suffer for my mistakes…maybe, maybe we should separate for a little bit.”

 

“Eve come on.” AJ said with half a laugh.

 

“No, Alex I’m serious, you really need to think about this.” Eve told him.

 

“Where are you going to stay, huh?” He asked.

 

“I’ll find some place.” She replied. 

 

“Evie.” AJ said as he went to hug her hoping she was just upset and his arms around her would calm her.

 

“No Alex.” She said as she pulled away.  It hit him at that moment this was beyond her being upset, she really wanted to split.

 

“Fine.” AJ said throwing up his hands.  “If that’s what you want.” He muttered and he walked out the door, got into his car and left.  Slowly Eve walked over to the stair case and sat down; she put her head in her hands and started to cry.  She didn’t notice Kevin come out as he looked for AJ.

 

“Eve?” Kevin said as he stood in his front hallway.

 

Quickly she wiped her eyes and stood up.  “I’m sorry, I just need to call a cab and then I’m going.”

 

“Where’s Alex?” Kevin asked.

 

“He went home.” She replied fighting back her tears.  “I told him that we should separate so he can have time to think about things.”

 

“Eve, Brian can be a little…”

 

“It’s not just Brian, I know his Mom has been saying the same thing to him, and I think they are both right.” Eve told him.  “We need time apart so he can think about it and really understand what he’s giving up.”

 

“So where are you going to go?” He asked.

 

“I can go back to the Center and then go from there.” She told him.

 

“The Wellness Center?  Why don’t you stay here with us.”

 

“No Kevin I can’t do that.” She said quickly.

 

“Yes you can and I’ll even kick Brian out since he started this damn mess.” Kevin said trying to cheer her up.  “Please Eve stay here, we’ve got lots of room and it’s better than you being god knows where.”  She looked at him hesitantly and then lightly nodded.

 

“I don’t want too intrude.”

 

“Just say yes before he chains the door and locks us all in.” Kristin said as she walked out.  “They’re leaving anyways.” She whispered.

 

“Are they?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah they’re going out back.” She nodded towards the back doors.

 

“I’ll be right back.” Kevin said as he headed into the living room.

 

“So are you staying?” Kristin asked.  “At least the night, give yourself time to think and his ass time to cool down.”

 

“He needs more than just one night.” Eve told her.

 

“He needs you.” Kristin said and Eve looked at her stunned.  “I’ve known all these guys for a very long time, I knew them when they road in old school buses to shows, and I’ve seen them change but he was the worse.  He was a crazy kid, always goofing off, full of energy but very sweet.”

 

“Sounds like him.” Eve said with a light smile.

 

“He wasn’t always, he fell hard.  He found out his Dad had a mini shrine to him but never bothered to call.  A girl he loved more than anything but she didn’t really love him, his grandfather dying, him really understanding who his Dad was and what he really wanted, and then his grandmother died.”  Eve listened as Kristin talked.  “And he hit rock bottom and stayed there for at least a year, until Kevin went off on him in Boston.”

 

“I know he’s been through a lot it’s why I want him to really think about everything.” Eve told her with a frown.  “I don’t want to be one of those things.”

 

 

Chapter 28 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                    Chapter Twenty-Eight

 

 

 AJ sat in his living room, a cup of coffee in his hand, and a smoke in the other.  His body was dragging and his brain was foggy from the lack of sleep he had.  He took a sip from the mug and set it down as the doorbell rang.  Quickly he got up and answered his door.

 

“Hey” He said when he saw just Kevin standing there.

 

“You look like shit, you weren’t drinking were you?” His friend asked.

 

“No” AJ sighed as he turned around headed back into the living room.

 

Kevin closed the door and followed him.  “So I guess you didn’t sleep much.”

 

“Nope,” He replied as he grabbed his cup and took a drink.

 

“Well that makes two of you.” Kevin told him.  “She didn’t sleep either.”

 

“Thanks for calling and letting me know she was staying with you guys.  I was worried she would go to an old friend or something.”

 

“She wanted to go to the Wellness Center but we talked her out of it.” Kevin said with a light smile.

 

“I don’t get it, we talked about it on the way back from Florida one night, and I thought everything was fine.” AJ said confused.

 

“Maybe Brian just scared her.” Kevin said with a shrug.

 

“He’s probably got her all confused cause I know she’s worried about it, like I said we have talked about it.  It’s like he’s playing with her emotions he just doesn’t know he’s actually doing it.” AJ sighed.

 

             “She knows about the phone calls from your Mom.” Kevin told him.

 

“She does?” AJ said a little shocked, he was sure he kept them quiet.

 

“She told Kris she did, she says she agrees with them.” He replied with a shrug.

 

“Yeah well that explains it.  I didn’t know it was still bothering her, I really thought she understood where I was coming from.” 

 

“Well get dressed and I’ll take you over to my place, you two can talk.” Kevin told him as he motioned for AJ to go to his room.

 

AJ lingered for a little bit and then agreed.  Kevin waited for him to get dressed and then they both headed to Kevin’s in separate cars.  He felt himself getting anxious the closer he got to Kevin’s place and by the time he parked the car in the drive way his hands were sweaty.  Closing the door as he got out AJ followed Kevin to the front door and walked inside.

 

“Where is she?” Kevin asked his wife as he looked around the living room.

 

“Upstairs,” She told them with a light smile.

 

AJ walked up the stairs and followed Kristin’s directions.  The door was open slightly and he stood by it hesitantly.  With a final mental push he tapped on the door and waited.

 

“Come in” He heard her say and he gently pushed on the door.

 

“Hi” He said when he saw her sitting on the edge of the bed staring back at him.

 

“Hi” She replied as he walked into the room.

 

“Can we talk?” He asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“There’s nothing to talk about Alex you need to consider everything.” She told him.  “And for that you need time.”

 

“No I don’t Eve; I don’t need time or to consider anything.” He said a little frustrated.  “I thought I made that clear at the hotel and if I remember correctly you made it pretty clear you understood.”

 

“I do but Brian and your Mom.”

 

“Aren’t me so why are you listening to them?” AJ asked her.  “Why let them decide what’s good for us?”

 

“They’re not you but they’re a huge part of your life Alex.” She told him.

 

“But if I lose you because of them they won’t be.” He said as he stared at the wall across from him.  “After everything we’ve been through, if they are the reason I lose you, I will never forgive them.”  AJ looked at her as his eyes filled with tears.  “I’ve said everything to you already, I said it all at the hotel, I really don’t know what else to say or do to make you understand that I’m ok with it and it doesn’t change anything between us.”  AJ stood up and headed to the door.  “I’ll be at home if you change your mind.”

 

He walked down the stairs waiting for her to stop him but she didn’t, he waited at the door for a minute but he heard nothing.  Closing his eyes he turned the knob and opened the door leaving Kevin’s and leaving her.

 

AJ sat at home waiting for her to come in through the door that night but by the time eleven came around he gave up hope.  A day went by, two days went by, and on the third day he was going out of his mind.  He had called Kevin’s every day but she wouldn’t talk to him and each day he got angrier. Kevin came by once but only to pick up some clothes for her that’s when he found out Brian was heading back to Atlanta he told Kevin he wanted to meet him for dinner before he left, patch things up.  Then he had another thought and called his Mom and told her he wanted her to come out, stay for a few days, him and Eve had separated and he really needed someone to talk to.  His Mom came out right away of course and met him at the restaurant for dinner.

 

“So how are you doing darling?” She asked as they sat at the table.

 

“Been better.” He replied quietly.

 

“I think it’s for the best Alex.” She said as she took his hand.

 

“I bet you do.” AJ replied with a light smile.  “Oh goodie here comes Brian.” AJ said as he stood up.

 

“Uh, hey” Brian said unsure as to why Denise was sitting there.

 

“Hi Brian is Leigh Anne here with you?” AJ’s Mom asked.

 

“No, he’s here to eat, have seat.” AJ spoke up as he pointed to Brian to sit down.  As AJ sat down the two looked at him very confused.

 

“What’s going on?” Denise asked.

 

“This is an ‘I am sorry dinner.” AJ told them.  “You are sorry because of your constant meddling I’m on the verge of losing Eve.  I don’t care what you think of her, if you’re put off by who she use, notice the word use to be, and I really don’t care if you don’t like who she is now.  News flash guys it’s not up to you, it’s up to me, and I absolutely adore her.  Now you’d think the two of you would be happy but no, it seems nothing is ever good for the two of you.” He spoke to them in a calm manner as they sat at the table.  “And I am sorry because I’ve come to a cross roads and I’ve made a decision.  Until you Brian and you Mom, decide to give Eve a chance, a real chance, I don’t want to see you or hear you.”

 

“Alex” Denise said shocked. 

 

“What about the group?” Brian said rolling his eyes.

 

“The group is business; I’ll deal with you there, any other time, nothing.  I’ve done everything I can to show her I’m serious about her, that I know what I’m doing and now I’m showing you.” AJ told them as he stood up.  “I’m sorry it’s come to this but I didn’t let Mats or his friend, a bullet, or her almost dying tare us apart, I sure as hell ain’t letting you two.” AJ said to them and then left the restaurant.

 

He drove through the city practically to the other side and parked in Kevin’s drive way.  He got out of the car and adjusted his jacket as he walked to the door.  He knocked a couple of times and then waited.  Hopefully if things went according to plan Eve would answer, since Kevin and Kristin ‘went out’.  He quickly took a deep breath when the door slowly opened.

 

“Kevin’s not here.” Eve said as he leaned against the door frame.

 

“I know can I come in?” He asked.

 

“Sure” She replied as she stepped away and let him in.  As he turned around she closed the door behind them.  “I thought you were having dinner with Brian tonight.”

 

“I was, well did.” AJ replied.

 

“That was a quick dinner.” Eve said confused.

 

“I didn’t stay for dinner.” He said as he walked into the living room and sat down.

 

“Huh?” Eve said confused as she sat down on the other side.

 

“I asked Brian to dinner and I asked my Mom to dinner and we had a nice little conversation.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“What did you say?” She asked but the look on her face told him she already knew what he said.

 

“Told them they needed to get their shit together.  Everyone wants me to make a choice so I’m making it, until they learn to accept you in my life, until they see how much I love you; I want nothing to do with them.”  He told her.

 

“Alex” Eve sighed with a little regret. Then a moment of déjà vu, when he grabbed her legs, slid her across the couch to him and they stared at each other face to face.

 

“Evelyn” He whispered as he laid his hand gently against her neck, his thumb brushing past the corner of her mouth. “I know you’re confused, I know it was something you were worried about and having Mom and Brian act the way they did didn’t help any but don’t abandon us sweetheart.” Eve closed her eyes and he gently pulled her against him.  Slowly her arms wrapped around him, her hands slid across his back and the feeling calmed him. 

 

“I missed you so much Alex” Eve said quietly as the two sat still in an embrace on the couch.

 

“I know I missed you too so let’s stop this ok? Come home with me?” He asked as they slowly pulled away.

 

“I need to wait for Kevin and Kristin to get home.” She told him.

 

“I have keys and I have the code.” He said with a smile.  Eve smiled back knowing now he had the whole thing set up. “Go grab your things.”

 

AJ waited for her by the door and when she had all her things he set the alarm then locked up the house.  He helped her put her belongings into his car and they left for his house.  When they pulled up AJ wasn’t surprised to find his Mom waiting for him.  He looked over at Eve and saw her nervous expression.  Closing his door AJ got out of the car and walked over to her.  He waited for Eve to unlock the house door and go inside.

 

“What?” He asked looking back at his Mom.

 

“Can we talk?” She asked.

 

“Well I’m kind of busy.” AJ told her. 

 

“Why are you so mad at me? Brian was the one who said those things to her.” Denise asked.

 

“And you said it to me.”

 

“I’m just looking out for you Alex.” She told him.

 

“And I told you not too, I’ve been sober for three months now Ma, I’m getting my life in order and she’s going to be apart of it whether you or Brian like it or not.” He told her with a light sigh.  “Now it’s up to you if you’re going to be apart of it too.”  AJ leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.  “I love you but you need understand how important she is to me, she’s not the other girls, she’s not some fling, she’s something really amazing and I hope one day you’ll see that.” He lightly smiled at her and then walked into his house closing the door behind him.

 

“Everything ok?” Eve asked as he sat down on the couch beside her.

 

“Yup” AJ replied and he took her in his arms and laid back on the couch arm.

 

 

 

Chapter 29 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                     Chapter Twenty-Nine

 

 

            “I wanna say thank you for coming.” AJ said to Brian and his Mom as they stood outside.  “I know we’re not on the best of terms yet but it means a lot to share this with you.”

 

“I’m glad you invited me.” Brian said with a light smile.

 

“Where is she now?” Denise asked.

 

“She had a meeting with…”

 

AJ was cut off my Kristin as she flew out his back patio door. “She’s here!”

 

“That’s my cue, wish me luck.” AJ said with a smile as he fixed his jacket.

 

He walked inside his house and down the hall, stopping at the small table and grabbing the flowers he had picked up.  AJ waited at the door as her keys jingled in the lock and he felt a rush of nerves and excitement as the door opened.

 

“Hi.” Eve said looking at him as he stood in the hallway in a black suit and red shirt with a dozen lavender roses in his hand.

 

“Hi” He replied as he took her by the waist and softly kissed her.  “These are for you.”

 

“There beautiful but what for?” Eve asked as she took them putting down her bag and the envelope she was carrying.

 

“Just follow me.” AJ said with a smile as he took her hand.  They walked down the hall, through the kitchen and out to the back yard.  Eve looked around in a little bit of shock when she saw everyone there, including Brian and Denise.

 

“Alex what’s going on?” Eve whispered when she saw everyone staring at her.

 

AJ turned around and took both of her hands into his.  “I wanted everyone here to share this with us.” He told her.  “We’ve been through a lot Evie and I often wondered if we’d ever make it to this point.  When I first met you I learned how lost you were and how alone you were, I didn’t realize how lost and alone I was until I met you.  Now it’s a year later, you’ve gotten through all the bad things, I’ve gotten through the bad things, you got your diploma, your going to culinary school and god only knows what is in store for you.  I’m so proud of the person you’ve become and I’m proud of the person you helped me become.”  Reaching into his inside jacket pocket as he kneeled on one knee, AJ looked up at her as he held a small black box in front of her.  “I want to see what happens, I want to share everything with you, and I want to know, Evelyn Deiu will you marry me?” He asked as he opened the box in front of her.  Inside was a small silver ring with three stones in it, one dark red stone, a Garnet for his birthday, and one dark purple stone, Amethyst for her birthday, and a diamond sat in the middle.  Everyone’s eyes were fixated on her waiting and watching as she stared at the ring in front of her.

 

“I…” She paused.  AJ watched as her face began to fall into sadness.  “I can’t Alex.” Everyone around her gasped and AJ stood up quickly. “I’m sorry I can’t.” She said quickly sobbed and took off into the house.  He stood there in a daze not sure what just happened.

 

“Want me to go talk to her?” Kristin asked and it broke him from the fog that fell over him.

 

“No…it’s alright.” AJ said as he closed the box and slipped it into his jacket pocket.  Slowly AJ made his way into his house, he wasn’t sure where she went too and he wasn’t really aware of where he was going, he just walked around the place, waiting until he found the room she was in and he did, in the bedroom.  He stopped at the doorway and looked at her as she sat on the bed her back to the door.  Even though he was confused and hurt his heart broke as he looked at her.  Slowly he started walking towards her; it kind of felt like someone was pushing him to go.  When he walked around to her side she looked up at him and then looked away quickly. 

 

AJ was taken back by how calm he was, he wanted to yell at her, scream at her but he couldn’t.  He knew for certain that any other time he would have gone off, he would have taken off and let someone else deal with it but this time he just wanted to know why.  He sat down on the bed beside her and placed his hands on his thighs.

 

“That’s one of things I love about ya, you always surprise me.” He sighed and waited wondering if he’d get a reaction but he didn’t, she just sniffed and whipped her eyes on her jacket.  “What happened Eve, did I do something?”

 

“No” She said quickly as her head shot up. “No-no”

 

“Then what’s going on?” He asked.

 

“At…” Eve paused and took a breath. “At class today I was pulled out by one of the administrators, they told me because of my scores and reviews I’ve been invited to a culinary course in Europe, it’s like an internship.”

 

“Europe?”

 

She nodded.  “Six months in France and six months in Italy.”

 

“I see” AJ said looking away as he processed everything.

 

“I was going to sit down and talk to you but…” She paused.

 

“So you want to go then?”

 

“Yes, it’s a huge opportunity for me, there’s only so many that go.” Eve told him.

 

“What about us?” He asked as he looked at her.

 

“I don’t know” She replied and she started to softly cry.  “I know you could come and see me but I’m going to be so busy, the hours of the classes are long and plus I’ll be working somewhere.  The guys are talking about going back into the studio and you’ve told me how hectic things get.”

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “When do you go?” He asked.

 

“In a month” She replied.

 

“Wow” He said a little breathless at the thought. 

 

The couple sat in silence for a moment and then Eve spoke up.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“No Eve you don’t have to be sorry, like I said I know were you’ve been now I see where you’re going and as much as it hurts to let you go this is really amazing, an opportunity of a life time, I don’t want to stand in your way.” He told her as he took her hand and held it.  “Why don’t you clean up and come down stairs, there’s a lot of food hanging around.”

 

“I dunno, everyone’s there and…god I can only imagine what your Mom and Brian are thinking.” Eve said with a frown.

 

“Evie don’t worry about it, you go clean up and I’ll go down at tell them, instead of an engagement dinner we’ll have a party for your internship.” He told her and he wiped a tear away with the back of his fingers.  “We have a month to say goodbye, I want you to enjoy today ok?”

 

“Ok” She replied with a light nod.  Without giving it another thought he leaned in and kissed her and she kissed him back.  They pulled away and AJ softly smiled at her, he then kissed her on the forehead and stood up.  He walked out of the room and closed the door behind him giving her some privacy. When he walked out back he saw everyone was still there, practically standing in a circle talking.

 

“Alex, is everything ok?” His Mom asked.

 

“Everything’s fine.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“What happened are two engaged?” Nick asked.

 

“No, we’re not.” He replied as he fought back the sadness.

 

“I don’t understand, why would she say no?” Kevin inquired.

 

“She received an internship to learn how to cook over in Europe; she’ll be gone for a year.” He told them.  “So we’ve decided when she leaves in a month we’ll go our separate ways, we’d rather do that then just slip apart, or something worse.”

 

“Oh Alex.” Denise frowned. 

 

“Don’t be sad ok?” AJ told them.  “Not today, this is something really good for her, something really special and I don’t want her regretting it, so we’re all going to celebrate, just won’t be an engagement.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t want us to go?” Howie asked.

 

“No really stay, please.” AJ told them.  “I just wanted today to be special for her and it still can be.”

 

When Eve came out a few minutes later everyone put on their happy faces and congratulated her.  AJ made sure the party went off like it was suppose too and about a half hour into it everyone started to have a good time.  He stayed close by her through the whole night right up until he started saying goodbye to everyone.  When Kevin and Kristin left, they were the last two to leave, Eve went upstairs to change, and AJ walked out back to clean up.  Picking his jacket up from a chair he folded it in his arms and the black box fell out of the pocket.

 

“Damn it.” He sighed as he bent down and picked it up.  Standing at the table he stared at it for a moment and then opened it up as he sat down on a patio chair.  Looking at the ring he smiled, he remembered back to a couple of weeks ago when he found it, he knew right away that was the one and when he had their birthstones put in it he knew it was perfect.  The feeling washed away as his eyes filled with tears, he wanted her to be happy, to be her own woman, it was all he ever wanted but he never thought he’d have to give her up in order for it to happen.

 

“AJ?” Eve said and he looked up quickly as he snapped the box shut and tucked it under his jacket.

 

“Hey” He said wiping his eyes.  “Just cleaning up.”

 

“Alex” Eve frowned and reached for his hands, he jumped and dropped the box again.  They both bent down to pick it up but he beat her too it.  “It’s a gorgeous ring.” She told him as he held the box in his hand.  He didn’t say anything he just kept staring at the box not wanting her to see the pain in his eyes.  Gently he took her hand and placed the box in the palm and closed her fingers around it.

 

“I want you to have it.” He told her and then quickly stood up.

 

“What? No Alex I can’t take this…” She told him but he had already started to walk away.  Eve followed him into the house and caught up with him in the hallway.  “Wait Alex, I can’t take this.” She said as she turned him around. 

 

“Please.” He sobbed gently pushing her hand with the ring towards her.  “I…I think I need some time alone now.” He said looking at her.  She looked down and lightly nodded as he turned back around and walked up the staircase.

 

AJ stood at his bedroom window and watched as Eve went in and out of the house as she cleaned up the backyard, his tears streamed down his face, as angry thoughts, sad thoughts, and lonely thoughts went through his head.  When she disappeared one last time with the last of the stuff outside, he walked over to their bed.  Laying on his pillows he listened to the clank and clatter as she loaded the dishes and washed the ones that didn’t fit in the dishwasher. 

 

Then there was silence and as he lied there he wondered what she was doing, was she crying on the couch, the same couch they had spent many nights together on, was she sitting outside and remembering the many erotic swims they took, or…the sound of familiar music playing stopped his train of thought.  Slowly AJ sat up and listened, then he walked to the door and listened some more.  He lightly smiled as the first verse of the song she always danced too played through out his house.  Curiosity got the best of him and he made his way downstairs.

 

As he walked into the living room he said her name but she wasn’t there, all he saw was a chair in the middle of the room.  He stood there looking at it confused wondering why it was in the middle of his living room and then just as he was about to turn around, two hands slipped around from behind him.  They began to pull his shirt from his pants and drift along the stomach.  When he turned around he was met by her lips trapping his before he could even say a word.  Her hands slid up his chest and she gently pushed him into the chair.  AJ looked up at her as she stood in front of him and swallowed hard when he saw her.  She was wearing a thigh high satin robe and black high heels. 

 

She moved around behind him letting her fingers skim across his shirt.  Both her hands sat on his shoulders and then slid down the front of him as he felt her hot breath against his neck.  Her lips gently pecked just behind his earlobe and down the vein on the side of his neck as her fingers released the buttons of his shirt.  He watched as she tossed it onto the couch and then walked around to his front again.  She turned her back to him and untied her robe and let it drift around her body as she rocked and swayed, revealing she wore nothing under it when she slowly turned back around.

 

Eve swayed herself down in front of him, sliding his legs open, her hands grazed up his thighs as her body crept behind them.  Unhurried by the slow but hard pace of the music her body danced closed to his as her hands slithered up his chest and over his shoulders.  AJ watched intensely as her body rocked against his to the music but yet never touched him.  Their eyes locked as she leaned down close to him, her hair dangled beside his face almost like it was dancing and teasing him too and her lips taunted his every time they passed.

 

As her song began to end Eve straddled across his lap their eyes not breaking.  His hands slid up her sides around her back as she leaned in and kissed him.  Her fingers trickled down his chest, now a little sweaty and stopped at his belt.  She undid it as his lips drifted down her neck.  When his pants came off his kisses caressed her collar bone and down her chest.  Their lips reconnected as she slid onto him and his hands drifted back down, gently grasping her waist and then he let his fingers glide up her stomach, over her breasts and around her shoulders as he pushed off her satin robe.

 

 Eve draped her arms on his shoulders again as she rocked her hips against him.  Their foreheads rested against each other when their lips pulled apart.  They both breathed heavily as her pace quickened and with no one home but them there was no need to hide their erotic moans.  His eyes drifted to her lips, she gently bit down on the bottom and sighed with enjoyment as he gripped her shoulders pushing her onto him.  He whispered her name letting her know he was near his peak and she pressed her forehead against his as her hands gently rested on the side of his neck.  As his body tensed he began to tremble as he thrusted her down by her shoulders, moaning.

 

AJ started to get a little light headed and found himself drifting away until her lips pressed against his and she pulled him back in.  Slowly he got his wind back and started to come around.  Making sure his pants were completely off and out of the way, he picked Eve up, her legs still wrapped around him and laid her down onto the couch.  Reaching behind him he grabbed the blanket and laid it across them.  Her fingers drifted down the side of his face as he looked back at her.  He slipped in between her and sofa, wrapping the blanket around them as he laid his head on her shoulder.  Gently he grabbed her fingers slipping his between them as he brought them to his lips.

 

“You’re the best thing to ever happen to me Alex.” She whispered and he looked up at her.  A small tear dripped from her eyes and it made him frown.  He sat up on his arm and wiped the tear away.

 

“I feel the same about you Eve.” He told her. 

 

“You understand right?” She asked him.  “You know why I have to do this.”

 

“Of course sweetheart.” AJ replied with a soft smile.

 

“I just wish I didn’t have to hurt you.” Eve quietly spoke as she pushed back the tears.

 

“I’d rather have it be done this way, then to have to say goodbye because one of us couldn’t deal, tried forcing it and ended up doing something stupid that they would regret.” He told her as he laid his arm beside her.  “And it would probably, most likely be me.” He joked and he got a light smile out of her.  His fingers gently brushed along the side of her arm.  “I don’t think I could regret losing you to this internship, not if it gives you the life you want and deserve.”  Eve lightly smiled as he leaned down and tenderly kissed her. “Besides, you better keep in touch, I want to know how things are going and if you need anything you call me, ok? Anything” He told her as he lowered his head and looked at her with his cute seriousness.

 

“Ok” She told him with a light laugh.  Again AJ leaned in and kissed her with the same tenderness as before.  Pulling his lips away he moved them to her jaw line, then under her chin, and down her neck.  Slowly he sat up and let the blanket fall over her, he scooped her up, carried her out of the living room, and up to their room.

 

 

 

They didn’t spend a day apart that entire month.  He made sure she had everything she needed, he took her shopping for extra clothes for the cold Italian and French nights, they went on a small private trip just them out to Maui, and they even went back to Florida so he could show her around like he wanted to.  Now he stood at the terminal watching the people wait in line for security.

 

“Ok all set.” Eve said as she walked over to him with her boarding pass and passport.

 

“Sweet.” He nodded.

 

“So I guess this it.” Eve said as she took a deep breath.  “I need to get through security.”

 

“Ok” He smiled as he slid his arms under hers and wrapped her in a long, tender embrace as they pulled away AJ took a deep quiet breath and cleared his throat pushing down his emotions.  “So, call me as soon as you get to the hotel.”

 

“I will” She said with a nod.

 

“And remember if you…”

 

“If I need anything call.” She lightly smiled.  When she took his hand by his fingers he looked down as she slid hers between his and looked up when she stepped closer to him.  Eve softly trapped his lips as her hands rested on his waist.  He didn’t care who was around as he let her tongue slither into his mouth and tangle around his.  She tenderly pecked at his lips a couple of times as she pulled away and rested her forehead against his.

 

“I love you Alex, I always will.” She whispered.

 

“I love you too Evelyn.” He replied as they both let their tears fall.  “And I’m so fucking proud of you.” He told her as he kissed her again.  They hugged one last time, they kissed one last time, and after she went through security he watched her walk behind a curtain one last time.

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10736