Take off by Crissy
Summary:

She wanted to change her life, so she took off to Los Angeles and ended up changing everything.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 7961 Read: 10065 Published: 11/11/11 Updated: 11/11/11

1. Chapter 1 by Crissy

2. Chapter 2 by Crissy

3. Chapter 3 by Crissy

4. Chapter 4 by Crissy

5. Chapter 5 by Crissy

6. Chapter 6 by Crissy

7. Chapter 7 by Crissy

8. Chapter 8 by Crissy

9. Chapter 9 by Crissy

10. Chapter 10 by Crissy

Chapter 1 by Crissy

 

Another airplane in less than 12 hours. I never imagined that a trip to the USA would take too long. After putting my bag in its place in the plane, I sat and started thinking how it could be in California, just more few hours and I’d be there, finally reaching my dream. But someone brought me back to reality. I couldn’t help looking at him. A blond guy was going to sit beside me. He was the cutest guy I’ve ever seen. When he smiled at me my heart skipped a beat and I realized it was the man of my dreams, the one I have always dreamed about.

            As he sat, he yawned and said something to me. Yes, it was him, it had to be. I could recognize his voice. We started a little conversation. I really don’t know how I managed the words to come out, but they did.

            “So, are you going to spend vacation in California?”, he asked me. “No. Actually I’m going to study. I’m not American”, I had to answer. He frowned at me, “Oh, nice! Where are you from?”

            A little scared of his reaction I answered I was Brazilian and he smiled. “I’ve been to Brazil a couple of times. It’s very beautiful there”. I was relieved then, he would talk to me. “Yes, it is. Which places have you visited?”, I asked just to keep on the conversation and he answered he’d been to São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

            He finally introduced himself, “I’m Nickolas, what’s your name?”

            “Cristina, but everybody calls me Crissy”. I couldn’t stop looking into those blue eyes, even under those sunglasses he was wearing I could see them. “Nice name!”. I guess I went red, but I tried to disguise my shyness and figured out words, “Than-thanks. Are you going to California on vacation too?”. He smiled and said, “No. I live in Los Angeles. I was in my brother’s house here in Florida.”

            I couldn’t believe my luck, being in an airplane with a backstreet boy. “Hey, you said you’re coming to study…why? You already speak very well, or is it some professional course?” I had to smile at his confusion, “Oh, thanks, but I know there’s a lot for me to learn yet. Besides I work as an English teacher, I need to learn more to teach my students.” This time he smiled and told me I should be a very dedicated teacher. I got red…again…Should I let him know I recognized him?  Or would have he already realized it? Who cared? I was talking to Nick Carter and it was very difficult to keep me cool. I always thought I would be tongue-tied in front of him, and here I was being able to speak!

 

            “What do you do, Nickolas?”, I asked as if I didn’t know. I thought it was better to pretend I didn’t know him or at least let him think so. He said he worked in the music industry, but I could tell he wasn’t comfortable talking about work. Maybe he was afraid I’d scream as crazy if he told me who he really was. “I have a music label. It’s new yet, I’m just trying to help some new guys in this business…”  Well, at least he didn’t lie… but as I saw his reaction I decided I should change the subject, but I just didn’t know what to say…

            It was when the plane prepared to take off. The flight attendant gave us the instructions and although it was the second plane I was taking that day, I was starting to freak out again. I put the seat belt on and grabbed the seat firmly. Then I noticed he was a little disturbed too. Probably he was still afraid of planes, but he was way cooler than me. I felt like a fool, I’d start crying in a few seconds and he would think I was a stupid girl. “Afraid of flying?”, he asked all gentle and I nodded. I was speechless. “Don’t worry, Crissy.” Smiling, he kindly took my hands in his and winked at me. I smiled back and my eyes fell.

            After some minutes the plane took off I was calmer and still held his hand, so I freed them and thanked him for being so nice to me, a stranger. I needed to find something to do or a good subject to talk about otherwise I’d act like an idiot. So I took my bag and searched for my book. He stayed there just watching me and he might have got tired and laid his head in the back of the seat, closing his eyes.

            We didn’t talk so much after that, he slept and I read. It was very difficult to concentrate on my reading, I kept looking outside the window all the time and wishing he woke up and talked to me again, but what would I say? It was better that way. Then I heard him yawning and looked back at him. “You slept almost all the way, Nickolas. The flight attendant has just told we are in California and will be landing in about half an hour.”

            “What? I slept for almost two hours??”, he was surprised and kinda angry at the same time. He sat in a better position on his seat and asked me how I liked the city as I was looking outside again. “It’s amazing!!”, I exclaimed, “I can’t wait till the plane land and I will be able to see all the place.”

            “If you want we could go out together, so I could show you some nice places in town. What do you say?” The light in his eyes was intense when he said it. It looked like he really wanted to go out with me, would it be possible?? “Here, give me your phone number and I’ll call you to arrange something”, he offered. “Oh, sorry Nickolas, but I don’t remember the number of the house I’m staying at. Besides I barely know you to give it if I remembered”, I had to lie to stick with my plan, “hope you understand...” I think I shocked him because he didn’t say a word for a while. Finally he figured out the words and told it was ok and handed me a piece of paper with his cell number. I didn’t know what to say, so I took the paper and put it inside of my book in my bag. “Call me tomorrow and we can set a walk”, he winked again. I nodded and he asked, “Where are you staying in California by the way?”

            Gosh, that was exactly what I needed. Maybe my house was totally in the opposite side of town and he would just give up. “It’s in Santa Monica.” I could tell from the smirk on his face that he loved when I said that. “Great! It’s where I live too!” We both were grinning at each other. I guess it was something good…

            “Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts. We’ll be landing in five minutes. Thank you for traveling with us.” We heard the flight attendant say and we did as she told us. This time I wasn’t freaked out, actually I was so happy that I couldn’t even think about being afraid.

            The plane landed and we left chatting and laughing. He helped me to get my suitcases to the taxi and waved to me as the car disappeared in the distance.

Chapter 2 by Crissy

On my way I couldn’t stop laughing. I had talked to him and he even gave me his number. I opened my bag and took the paper in my hands holding it tight against my chest. I would have to call him… Oh my God!! Will I be that courageous? Ok, if I was able to talk to him personally, then why couldn’t I talk on the phone, right? My heart was beating so fast, I was so excited… I didn’t even pay attention to the way and all the beauty of the place, I could only think of his sparkling eyes looking in my direction. Then the driver told me I had arrived in my destination, so I paid him and got my things.

            Anne was already waiting for me at the door, she had a warm smile. The house was bigger than I thought. It was painted in light blue and had a great garden in front of it. She helped me with my bags and led me inside. She showed my room, it was big and comfortable.

            “Thanks, Anne for accepting me here.”, I said and she answered, “No problem, girl! Make yourself home. I’ll be downstairs preparing something for you to eat. You know what they say… plane food is terrible….” I smiled nodding to show that she was right. “Get changed and meet me in the kitchen in ten minutes. I want to know how your trip was” and with this she left my room. I took a look around it and fell on the bed staring at the ceiling. I closed my eyes for an instant, god, I was exhausted. But my hunger was greater so I changed into a jeans and a t-shirt, put on my sneakers and went downstairs to meet her.

            “Your house is amazing, Anne!”, I exclaimed and she smiled at me saying thanks. She was nice to me even though we never met before. The exchange agency found her for me and we only talked through letters and emails. The only time I called her was to let her know I was leaving my house to go to the airport.

            “Here, I have prepared something, hope you like it.”, she looked a little worried. There was bread, butter, ham, cheese, some cookies, a cake, a tray with fruit and juice on the table. Wow. I started eating and she asked about the trip. “It was cool. I was a little afraid in the beginning but everything was fine. The view of the city is gorgeous. I think I’ll love this place!” I guess she realized the sparkle in my eyes when I said that, I could tell by the smirk on her face.

            “Really? What made you think so? Or should I ask who?” I turned red when she asked me and we both started laughing. How can she know me so well in so little time?? “Ok ok you got me! I met a guy in the plane from Florida to here. He’s so sweet… He even gave me his phone number” and I told her all the story.

            “Great! Are going to call him?”

            “I’m not sure, I mean, I want to but I’m shy… what if he doesn’t remember me?” she looked at me like saying ‘you know what to do’. I got up and told her I would unpack and then left the kitchen.

            I ran back to my bedroom and stared at the window thinking if he could really forget me. But instead I shook my head and cleared it from those thoughts. I unpacked and lay on my bed, in few moments I was finally sleeping.

            I just woke up the next day with Anne knocking on my door calling me for breakfast. I got up, took a fast shower, changed and went downstairs. She was in the kitchen with her sister, Diana, who was a little older then me. After the introductions, we had breakfast and Anne asked me if I had decided to call that guy. I was still confused about that so I took a minute to answer. “Maybe”, was all I could think of at the moment. Actually now I was more worried about the course that I’d start that morning.

            Anne took me to school and went to her work with Diana. They worked together in a store they owned. My classes were all cool and the teachers were all nice too. I was so amazed to be there! But I was also very anxious to get back home and call Nick. That was exactly what I did as soon as I got home.

            The phone rang three times and he didn’t answer. I was about to hang up when I finally heard his voice in the other end. “Hello?”

            “Ni-Nickolas?” I stuttered. “Yeah, who’s it?” he asked annoyed. Good he didn’t remember me just like I thought. “It’s Cristina, we were talking yesterday in the plane remember? You gave me your number …” I couldn’t finish my sentence. “Of course I do, Crissy! How are you? Ready to know the city?” Great! “That’s exactly why I am calling. Is there still time to accept it?” He laughed, I loved that laugh! “Sure there is, girl. Are you free this afternoon? I know a place you will love…” We set a time and I passed him my address. Then I went upstairs to get ready. This afternoon was going to be great!

Chapter 3 by Crissy

I couldn’t decide which clothes to wear, so I wore jeans, a pink tank top and high heels. It wasn’t exactly what I wanted to wear but somehow I was cute. And comfortable!! Besides I had no idea where he would take me… I was very excited to meet him again, but who wouldn’t be?

            At 3pm I saw a black car parking in front of my house. I watched the driver get off of the car and walk to my front door. God! He was marvelous! He was wearing a red t-shirt and jeans. Actually he was too casual for a date…. Oh wait! It was a date, wasn’t it? Gosh, I felt so stupid.

            The doorbell rang and I ran to it. As I opened the door, I saw him standing right in front of me. But I could tell he was a little annoyed or nervous about something. “Hey, Nickolas! Come in a minute, I’ll be ready in a second.” and I stepped back so he could come in, but he didn’t move an inch from his place. Instead he remained there watching me like he was going to tell me something but didn’t have courage. Finally he said hi and also that needed to talk to me before leaving.

            At the same time, Anne called me from the kitchen. Sure she wanted to know him, I knew it. “I’m coming Anne!” I yelled and turned my body as I was going inside to see what she wanted, but Nick held my arm and said he really needed to tell me something. “Come on in, please. I’ll just check what Anne wants, it’s gonna take just a minute, Ni…” But he didn’t let me finish my sentence. “Listen, I have to tell you this. I can not go out with you if I don’t spit it out”

            Well, at least he didn’t say anything about not going out anymore, but I was disturbed then. What could he tell me? “What? Are you gonna say you are a serial killer, a murderer, you are going to kidnap me or rape me or anything??” I must have looked too scared by his statement because he smiled and shook his head in a negative way. “No…” he sighed, “I just need to tell you who I really am” As if I didn’t know… I looked shocked at him. “Crissy… I am… Nick Carter from the… Backstreet Boys” he sighed in relief and I burst into laughter. He looked incredulous at me and I tried to explain myself. “Oh, I know!! Now could please come in…?” I said in between laughter.

            He looked more confused than I did a few seconds ago but anyway he took a step in to the room. I showed him the couch and I was about to go inside again to see what Anne wanted but one more time he grabbed my arm, “How did you know? Since when?” I couldn’t stand that look on his face. He was cute all confused. “Nick, since the very first minute I saw your face I knew you were a Backstreet Boy...but don’t worry, I will not tell anyone!” Then Diana entered the room.

            “Crissy didn’t you hear Anne calling? We thought you have already left!” She pulled me to another room and asked me if that was the guy. I could tell she was a bout to scream because she recognized him too… I knew they just wanted to know him so I nodded and went back to the room where Nick was.

            “Let’s go? I’m curious to see where you are taking me…” We left the house and on the way to the car he didn’t say a word. Oh my God!!! Is he mad at me now? He opened the door for me and got in the car too. After some time in total silence he finally said that he couldn’t believe I pretended I didn’t know him. “Hey, Nickolas, I didn’t pretend… I just didn’t tell you I knew you… Is it a problem???” He stared at me and just nodded. “No, it isn’t…but… let it go” I knew he was still bothered about it, but I didn’t say a word. Right now I just wanted to know where he would take me and if it would still be as great as I imagined.

Chapter 4 by Crissy

On our way I watched every little detail of the scenery. I was loving it, although my guide wasn’t talking to me that much… He was still mad at me. His eyes were staring at a far point in the distance, his fingers were fiddling with the wheel and I was feeling uncomfortable with that situation. But I didn’t want to ruin any chance I could have to enjoy his company so I kept in silence too.

            We crossed Los Angeles and after about an hour driving we arrived at a huge amusement park. I couldn’t believe he me took to Disneyland. That explains his outfit. What made him think that I would like to go there? Not that I didn’t but I didn’t expect anything this different. Would have he planned this or was it cause he was mad at me? Whatever, I would enjoy it as much as I could!

            We looked for a vacant parking place and parked the car very far from the entrance. As he stopped the car he finally looked at me and smirked. I didn’t understand it but I smiled back shyly. He got out of the car and so did I. And for my surprise he came to me and held me in his arms. “Thanks”, he whispered in my ear and I could feel his smile while he said that. We walked to the entrance gate hand in hand. When we reached the park he asked me, “Are you ready for fun?” and pulled me straight to the line for the roller coaster. I guess he didn’t realize my frightened face, he was so excited!

            “Nick, take it easy!! I’m on high heels!!” I shouted at him in order to make him slow down, but instead he glanced at me. “I told you to come comfortable! It’s not my fault…” I didn’t let him finish his sentence, “Whoa, man wait a minute! You didn’t tell me where you would bring me! How would I imagine I was coming to an amusement park?!” His eyes fell and he apologized and we walked to the roller coaster then. 

            Gosh! This was the weirdest date I have ever had, if this was even a date! This guy was crazy and I think that’s what exactly caught my eye about him.

            It was getting dark and we still had a lot of attractions to go but probably we wouldn’t have enough time. I glanced at my watch and it was already eight o’clock. “Nick! We gotta go! Take a look what time it is! I have school tomorrow and I bet you get some work to do!” He froze, “Oh god! You’re right we better get going”

            Then we left the park but not very far we found the road closed. There was nowhere to go. We looked at each other in disbelief. What would we do? Then a cop came to our car and bent towards Nick’s window. “Sorry, sir, but the road is closed until tomorrow. You can spend the night in one of the hotels in the park. The road will be open again tomorrow early in the morning.” Nick nodded, turned the car and pulled over.

            “So…I guess we have to stay here. Is it a problem?”, he asked me and I saw concern upon his face. I was scared for many reasons: we didn’t know what had happened, I was away from home and didn’t know what Anne would say. I couldn’t answer his question at first. My thoughts were running through my head. Besides how was I supposed to afford a room in the hotel? And with Nick?!

            He was still staring at me waiting for an answer. Well, there was nothing to be done. We would have to sleep there. “I shouldn’t stay, but as we have no way out… I just need to call Anne and tell her what happened.” He immediately started the car again and headed for one of the hotels. We had to go to most of them as they were all full.

            Finally we found a room, only one. “Crissy, this is the last hotel. Either we share the room or we sleep in the car.” I didn’t know what was worse: not sleeping well in the car or maybe not sleeping at all in a comfortable room. Who was I fooling? This was every girl’s dream. I was exhausted after all the adrenaline from that day so I decided to give in and try a good night at the hotel.

Chapter 5 by Crissy

We checked in and went to our room. It was quite big and as I supposed there was only one double bed. I entered the room and looked around, not long after I let my body fall on the bed and closed my eyes. Then I realized that Nick was beside me, I opened my eyes to stare at him. He was so cute, and those deep blue eyes were staring back at me. He seemed thoughtful and I would give anything to know what he was thinking, but instead I smiled and nearly closed my eyes again to wonder.

            After a few moments in silence, he laid his head on the pillow beside mine and we remained like this for a while. But I stood up and walked to the window to see the view. Gosh, the night was wonderful and moonlight was filling the room with its shine. I looked back at him and he was in the same position in bed. So I walked to the tv and turned it on flicking the channels so that I could find something interesting to watch.          That’s when I saw his face. The hollow on tv that night and I could not miss this chance, so I sat on the couch and started watching. Fortunately it had just begun. In seconds I heard his footsteps coming to my direction. When I looked behind he was staring at the tv too. I sat straight on the couch letting a free space to him beside me. He fell on the couch and I glanced at him. He had a smirk on his face. He surely was very proud of himself with this movie.

            Slowly I leaned close to him and when I realized I was in his arms, my head over his chest and his heartbeat was the soundtrack of that moment. I will never forget that night. Being so close to him, his perfume filling me senses and the way he reacted to his own image on the screen.

            As it was getting later I couldn’t hold my eyes open. I was totally tired. The movie had finished but we kept on the couch talking and looking for something else to watch. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you miss your class tomorrow…” he said with sadness in his voice. I had to answer that there was no problem, I could replace the class or get the matter with a classmate. But that feeling in his eyes was still the same.

            After a moment he turned to face me and once again he thanked me. I really didn’t know why he was thanking me… have I done anything good for him and I didn’t realize? “Nick, why are you thanking me so much? This is the second time, I don’t understand” He looked into my eyes and gave a warm smile. Then stroking my face he explained, “Nobody ever treated me like you… You made me feel just an ordinary man, like I always wanted someone outside this crazy business treated me, and you still do. Everything is so easy beside you… I know it’s crazy, we barely know each other, but that’s how I feel.” All the sadness that filled his eyes minutes ago now has changed to tenderness and energy. “Nick, you say that as if you were a robot with no feelings, I mean, as if people saw you like that…”

            He giggled and nodded, “Well, many people just think I am a star and not a human being. They forget I have feelings too.”  Then just to prove his feelings I started tickling him. He was laughing so hard that both of us fell on the floor. He wanted to get even with me so he also tried to tickle me but I was smarter, I stood up as fast as I could and ran around the room to escape his grip. I should have known better… the second step I took he had me in his arms and then I was laughing hard. “Oh, Nick…please!” I couldn’t free myself neither attack him back.

            We tickled each other for what seemed like forever, my belly was hurting so badly and we were out of breath. Finally he let go of me and we both fell on the bed to rest, still gasping for air. We stayed like this for a while and sooner than I thought I was asleep.

Chapter 6 by Crissy

The next morning I woke up with the sunlight in my eyes, we had forgotten the curtains open. It was so good to wake up like that, feeling his heartbeat, cuddle with him. I took a deep breath and held him tighter. I guess he felt it too, cause he held me against his chest too, running his fingers through my hair and down my back. At first I responded to his touch, but suddenly I remembered it wasn’t a dream. I was in a hotel room with him in Disneyland.

            My first reaction was to free myself from his arms. I rolled over to face him, but I could hardly open my eyes because of the sunlight. “Nick! What happened here?! Oh my God!!” I was freaked out. I covered my body as to hide it from him, not even noticing that I was still dressed. Me and him. He was speechless looking at me. “Crissy…I…I…” He glanced around to try to understand the situation and then started laughing. “Crissy, look at yourself! We’re still dressed. I guess we fell apart last night after that tickling session.”

            It was my time to look around and understand his words. I was so ashamed of myself, so I covered my face too with the sheets. “Ooooh, sorry, Nick. What a shame!” Again I acted like a fool. I believe I really am one. He moved on the bed and I stayed in silence. I uncovered half of my face shyly to know what he was doing and he was laid side by side me, with his head on his hand staring at me, a great grin upon his face. I looked into those sparkling eyes and tried a smile.

            “Hey, little girl, don’t worry!”, he said gently “you’re so cute, all shy” I had to smile; he was so sweet with me. I had just screwed up everything and even so he was all kind to me. “Nick, I’m so sorry. You must think I’m an idiot…” He didn’t let me finish my sentence. “Hun, don’t say a word, it’s okay. You freaked me out too, but… nevermind…”, he said putting his finger over my lips. We both laughed and I stretched my arms above my head.

            Then I got up and went straight to the bathroom, he stayed in bed. I got ready to go back home but when I left the bathroom he was asleep again. I kneeled down beside his side of the bed and stroke his jaw. He opened his eyes to my touch. “Nick, we’d better get going. It’s almost 10 o’clock” Instead, he grabbed me and threw me on the bed with him again. “I’d rather stay longer and give you a chance to get even with me from last night. What do you think?” he said already tickling me one more time. I was weak of laughing and I couldn’t answer properly, “Nick…stop… we gotta….go… ahh…”

            “Okay, okay, let’s go home!” he finally agreed and let go of me standing up and leaving for the bathroom. While I waited for him, I turned the tv on and watched some news. The road was still closed, there had been some major problems and everybody was stuck in Disneyland. He left the bathroom and joined me in the room. “What’s that? We can’t go back yet?” he asked with a different tone in his voice, like he was enjoying it. “No, Nick. Something bigger happened there and we will have to wait a little more here…”

            As we had nothing else to do than wait we went to the hotel’s restaurant for breakfast. Then we had a long walk until we decide it was time to try to hit the road. Finally it was open again and we could leave Disney.

            “Thanks for the fun, Nickolas. We could do that always… but please, check if the roads are open first” I giggled as the car stopped in front of my house. “Sure babygirl, whenever you are free! We’ll do it again!” He leaned close to me and kissed me in the cheek. I grinned and left the car. I was in heaven, that was the best night of my life.

Chapter 7 by Crissy

The next morning I woke up and breathed deeply as if I had awakened from a beautiful dream. I got off the bed and opened the windows. It was a sunny and warm day matching perfectly with the feeling I had. I contemplated the sky for some minutes before getting into the shower.

            I got dressed and went downstairs to have breakfast with Anne and Diana. As I entered the kitchen both of them looked at me with a smirk upon their faces. “Good morning, Crissy” they said in unison. I pretended there was nothing going on, “good morning, girls”.

            Then we all turned to the tv that was on and stared in disbelief. “They were seen in an amusement park holding hands. And the receptionist of one of the hotels in the park confirmed they spent the night there.” said the reporter. There was a picture of Nick in the background, “but who is this mysterious girl?” My picture was on the screen then, I was paralyzed. “We’ll have to wait and see. We tried to talk to him and get a declaration but he wasn’t found and his agents did not confirm anything.”    

            I could not believe my ears. I was in shock. Anne and Diana were speechless too. Anne left the kitchen and went to the front door while Diana stood there with me. “Gee, you didn’t tell us you were dating! I thought it was just…” she stopped to think, “…you were just friends. Oh my god!! Lucky girl!” she finally let go. “Oh come on Di, we are not dating!” I almost shouted, I was so nervous, “we just had to spend that night there because of the roads, you know!”

            Then Anne came back to the kitchen with the newspaper in her hands. I jumped in front of her and grabbed it not believing my eyes. “Oh damn” was all I could say. Diana got the paper from me and started reading, “Nick Carter, the youngest Backstreet Boy shows up with a new girlfriend. They were seen in Disneyland yesterday. People that were in the park and some employees said they spent the whole day hand in hand and looked very happy together…” I didn’t let her finish reading the article; I took it back and read it myself. God, I guess I was in trouble. What would he say? Should I call him? I just didn’t know what to do!

            “Cris, is it true?”, Anne asked me. I wasn’t sure if she would believe, we didn’t know each other so well yet. “No… I mean, we did spend the night in one of the hotels but it was because of the road, you know it, I called you to notice you. I don’t know why they are saying we are dating, they don’t have a clue about it!” I was whining then. I let my body fall on the chair and held my head with my hands.

            “Ok, girl. You don’t need to go this crazy. We’ll figure it out. Just finish your breakfast and go to school.” Gosh, I had even forgotten about school. They would all point me out there. I was in real big troubles. I need to talk to Nick but would he talk to me? What would he say? I cleared my mind from these thoughts and ran to my room, got my bag and left for school.

            As I was going down the stairs the doorbell rang. I stopped and saw Anne coming to answer it but instead I opened the door and saw Nick’s face. He looked startled. “Hi Nick, come in”. He did as he was told but the expression upon his face was still the same. I couldn’t help myself and ended saying that I was sorry I didn’t mean to bring him problems, that I would clean all that mess. He kept in silence and walked to the couch. I lowered my head and sat beside him.  I was so afraid to look him in the eyes, but then he reached my chin and said, “Don’t worry, babygirl, they say things like that every day. It’s like they need something to talk about. There’s no need to be worried.” He was so sweet that I felt better and despite the tears forming in my eyes I managed to say, “Sorry, Nick…I freaked out, I didn’t know what to do, what you would do. I thought you were mad at me”. The tears started to fall from my eyes, I felt totally stupid.

            He comforted me and told me he was worried too, but not ‘cause of him. He was worried about me. I felt so much better, at least he wouldn’t blame me. We talked for a while and figured out something to do. He said he would set things straight away. I stood up and told him that I should go to school, I was already late. We made our way to the door and got on the car, he would take me.  But we didn’t realize we were being  followed…

Chapter 8 by Crissy

Along all the way to my school we talked about what we could do to solve that little misunderstanding. But we didn’t realize that a car followed us since the first corner from my house. The driver was very careful to keep a safe distance (or we were so worried that became blind to any other thing in the world), he was always far enough to be seen but close enough to keep an eye on us.

            Nick pulled up in front of the school and the mysterious car parked across from us. “Don’t worry, babygirl! I’ll set this alright.”, Nick said and leaned kissing tenderly my cheek. I glanced at his eyes and left the car before somebody could recognize him and make the situation worse. I entered the school and felt all eyes on me as if I were a criminal. In the classroom, everybody looked at me and some girls came to ask if I really was Nick’s new girlfriend. I didn’t know what to say, it was driving me insane. We talked so much but forgot to think about what to say if they asked me.

            That was the worst morning of my all life. I felt terrible, but it was over soon and I finally could go back home. Not as easy as I thought… outside the school there were some reporters waiting for me. When they saw my face they all came to me making a lot of questions and putting their recorders in front of me to get declarations, and all those flash lights. I freaked out and all I could do was run. I ran to the closest bathroom and searched my cell phone in my bag. I dialed Nick’s number but no answer. He could be in a meeting or in the studio or even not answering his cell because probably the reporters were calling him too.

            I thought of calling home, but what would they do? So I stood in front of the mirror for a while thinking. Then I decided to face those people outside or I would have to spend the rest of my life hidden in that bathroom. I took a deep breath and walked out the room. Fortunately there was nobody in the corridors anymore. I thought for a moment and went along the south corridor; it would lead me to the back exit of the school. Man I was feeling horrible running away from the media.

            I left the building and headed home, nobody saw me this time. I guess they were still waiting for me in the front exit. When I got to my place I tried to call him again. This time he answered the phone with his silly voice which made me smile for the first time that day since he left me at school. “Nick, they were all there! What do I do?” I said in a frantic voice. He stuttered for a moment and finally said “Wh-what? Who are they? Are you okay?” His last sentence sounded so worried. Oh my God I was only bringing him problems.

            “No, I’m okay, but the media was in my school today. When I was leaving they were outside waiting for me. I didn’t know what to do so I ran inside again and left through the back exit. But, Nick, I’m sure they will be back there everyday until they have this story done and printed all over the newspapers and magazines” I was whining now and about to cry. He was so sweet, so gentle saying I had nothing to worry about.

            “I know, they kept calling me all day long too, I even had to turn my cell off.”  He stopped for a second. “I need to talk to you, babygirl, can I come over?” and all I know is that less than an hour later there he was sitting on my couch looking for words, probably to tell me how horrible I was…

Chapter 9 by Crissy

But instead and for my surprise he didn’t say a word about how I screwed up his perfect life. “Babygirl, I’m really sorry for all this I put you through, I didn’t mean to bring you troubles” I didn’t let him finish his sentence, “Nick, you’re not bringing me problems, I’m just scared with all this, I never thought of being on tv, newspapers for something I didn’t even do!” I tried to assure him but the smirk on his face showed me I had said something I’d regret. “So….you’d do it?” he asked me with such wondering eyes that let me at a loss for words.

            “Nick, don’t bring it up to me, ok?!” I squealed. He laughed and hold me “Sorry, babygirl, I was just kidding” he said and then continued “By now, probably the media knows where you live, if they really followed us to school” he paused for a moment, “You will have to be very careful, I mean, we will” he finally said scratching his head. I cocked my head “What do you mean? That I can’t leave the house and live my life?? No way!!”.

            “Of course you can live your life. What I meant is that we will have to be careful otherwise we will give them more what to talk about…or we can show up together and give them exactly something to talk about.” This last sentence sounded like an invitation but he was probably just trying to piss me off.

            “Nickolas Gene Carter, this is serious! Can you stop joking?” he looked at me in shock with the tone in my voice. “But… I was serious” God, I couldn’t believe him, I was there all frightened and he was laughing at me. “Listen, I know it’s not easy for you. It’s not easy for me either, but I think that...if they are already talking about us, we could give them what to talk about” Oookay, did he just say what I understood? Is he proposing to be an us? “What do you mean, Nickolas?” I had to ask. He thought for a moment and said, “I’m talking about this…”and leaned close to me. I didn’t expect that. I felt like fainting and all I could feel was his lips touching mine so softly and tenderly. At first I didn’t know what to do but slowly I started kissing him in return.

            Then suddenly I broke apart from him in shock. Did he really want to risk his name being with me? Who was I? An ordinary Brazilian girl almost lost in the USA. Well, maybe that’s what he needed to feel more ordinary. He thanked me for giving him this feeling after all. But was it right? Was I enough for him?

            There I was again acting like he was a god. Me, who first treated him just normal, now I am going crazy on my own thoughts, forgetting he is not just a person who is in the media everyday. Though I couldn’t help myself asking. “Nick, kissing me will not solve the rumors media is putting out!” He frowned with that silly face I love so much and joked, “You didn’t like my kiss? Nobody ever complained”, and then pretended to be crying like a dog.

            I slapped his arm in a playful way and smiled, “It’s not the best I’ve had, but I can deal with it” I shrugged. “But, seriously, Nick. You want to show up with me like a real couple?” He answered that was the only way to stop the rumors. Denying would only keep them hooked to this story and they would follow us even more just to check it out. That seemed like a bucket of cold water on my feelings. I guess he just wanted to play with the media and I was part of it, my feelings too. He must have realized that the light in my eyes was gone and reassured me. “I don’t wanna use you, babygirl” He finally called me babygirl again. “I really fell for you and if they are gonna talk about it, at least I prefer it to be true”

            The silence between us grew longer. What was I supposed to to do?

Should I accept it or refuse? “Nick… I really don’t know what to say.” He looked deeply at me in a mix of tenderness and confusion. “Babygirl , I don’t want to press you to do anything. And I’m not doing this because of the media. I do want to be with you”, he finally said. I was so surprised that I held him and kissed him.

Chapter 10 by Crissy

After the kiss I told him that I was determined to face the world with him, if he wanted me to call all the media and invite them to come to my house so that we could tell them the whole story, I’d be the first to say something. He laughed at my foolish words but didn’t say a word. Instead he cupped my face in his hands and kissed me one more time. I didn’t care anymore if the world would think we were a couple because now we really were one. On the contrary, I felt like screaming to show how happy I was.

            That was when Anne came in the house followed by Diana. Diana was screaming my name and I could hear Anne saying something while there was a huge noise of crowd outside the door. Nick and I exchanged looks and Diana said as soon as she saw us, “Girl, it’s a mess outside. A lot of reporters are waiting for both of you” she seemed like gasping for air, as if the crowd of journalists were a pool of lions. Then Anne closed the door and started complaining. “I’m so sorry, but Cris has to put an end to this situation. Otherwise I will tell them the truth; that they are in love” She finished her sentence looking at both of us sitting on the couch and she paralyzed. She probably didn’t expect to see us there, or that we listened to her, although she was screaming.

            Nick took his arms off around me and stood up. “Oookay, I also think it’s time to tell the truth”, he smirked. Anne was still stuck in the same place with the same shocked expression upon her face. “Will you come with me, babygirl, or will I have to do the hard work all by myself?”, he asked me. Immediately I stood up and walked to the door hand in hand with him.

            In front of the door we stopped, looked at each other and took a deep breath. I felt his grip stronger, in response I held his hand stronger too. We opened the door and there were more people than I had imagined. As soon as they realized we were at the door all of them ran to us with the microphones and recorders in hand making lots of questions, that we didn’t understand any.

            Then Nick asked for attention and started saying that for their curiosity it was official. We were a couple. And in a blink of an eye he kissed me there, in front of everybody. Gosh I had more butterflies in my stomach than anyone could ever have. Anyway the feeling was much better than all the anxiety we felt since the first moment we were on the news. Now I could say I was the happiest girl in the world.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10752