Give It A Chance by colorguard_diva, tiggerc128
Summary: See what happens when a certain Backstreet Boy has to give it a chance.

Part of the December/January Challenge
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Nick
Genres: Dramedy
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 4449 Read: 5599 Published: 01/24/12 Updated: 01/24/12

1. Chapter 1 by tiggerc128

2. Chapter 2 by colorguard_diva

3. Chapter 3 by colorguard_diva

4. Chapter 4 by colorguard_diva

Chapter 1 by tiggerc128
Author's Notes:

Hey everyone, we had a terrible boo boo when we posted this and chapter one wasn't the completed chapter. Those of you who have read it we are VERY sorry and we'd like you to give chapter one another look.  We are SO SO SORRY!!!! 

 

Chapter 1

            “Come on, pick up, pick up, pick up…” I can’t believe how impatient I am. Why the hell won’t anyone answer their damn phones?

            I can’t believe this list of questions for that interview. They are ACTUALLY going to ask us our opinions of fan fiction? Why? I don’t even read it. Why would I?”

            I hang up my phone, wanting to just throw it. I know why they are ignoring me. They think this is freaking funny. Dammit.

            When my phone buzzes with a text, I almost ignore it. Then I decide to read it. “Just check out the fanfic. Its not that bad. At the movies, later!”

            Great. Check it out he says. My brothers are fucking idiots.

            I go to my computer and call up the website they sent us. Seriously, this many people write about US?  OK, so maybe it’s flattering. But why? I feel like such a fool reading this.

 

            So far, I’ve read two stories. And I’m even more pissed than I was before. Why do they make me out to be an idiot? I’m not an idiot!  OK, yeah, I’ve done some pretty shitty interviews, but that doesn’t mean I was stupid. I was probably wasted. OK, that’s not much better.  Fuck. I knew it. I’m just a big old joke to the fans. A joke with a big dick. If they only knew the truth.

            I shut my laptop and walk away. I can’t do this. I’m just going to be honest. I don’t read fanfiction. Period.

 

            When my phone rings later, I’m not surprised. “What did you think?”

            I say, “I’m not reading it. I feel like an idiot. I’m just going to say I don’t read it, end of story.”

            Brian says, “Come on, man, give it a chance. Some of it’s pretty hot. Kind of flattering.”

            “Flattering?” I practically scream into the phone. “They make me out to be an idiot with a big dick. How is that flattering?”

            Brian says, “First of all, you are…umm, endowed. Don’t you EVER tell anyone I said that.”

            I have to laugh. I say, “Well, duh, Brian…”

            He says, “Second, you have to admit, some of your earlier interviews weren’t your stellar moments. Come on, I’ve read several and you are actually pretty decent. Some of them are off the chain crazy. In one, Howie’s bi-sexual…”

            I stop him. I say, “And he’s OK with that?”

            Brian says, “Honestly, I don’t know. Look at it like this…All these women are fantasizing about having sex with you. They are just writing about it. It’s not meant to hurt your feelings. Hell, I bet half of them don’t even expect you to read it.”

            I snort and say, “I wouldn’t have if you guys weren’t making me.”

            Brian says, “Well, whatever, you have to be nice in the interview. Personally, I’m flattered.”

            I laugh and say, “You would be. They make you out to be some kind of Romeo. If only they knew…”

            He says, “Well they don’t, and man, I’m telling you, some of this stuff is really HOT. Remember how we’d stash Penthouse on the bus and read the forum? This is ten times better because it’s about us!”

            I sigh and say, “If I keep reading this and I don’t change my mind, I’m going to be completely honest at the interview.”

            Brian says, “You’ll hurt a lot of fans if you do that. Just keep reading. I think you’ll find it’s not so bad.”

 

            I spend an hour watching TV before turning back to the computer. I pull up the sight once again, this time picking a story about AJ. Let’s see how they think of him.

            Three hours later, I’ve read AJ stories, Howie stories, Brian stories, all of which weren’t bad. I was surprised they weren’t all romance stories with happy endings.  OK, guess I should give a story about me one more try.

 

            Wanting to throw my computer across the room, I yell at the walls, “That’s it! I am not playing this game anymore.” Picking up my phone I call AJ. When he answers, I say, “You guys better get ready ‘cause I’m going to piss off a lot of people in that interview. I may even call a few out.”

            AJ says, “Come on man, why you gotta be like that?”

            I say, “Well, I’m either stupid, a sex freak or gay. Take your pick!”

            He laughs at me. Really laughs. He says, “Nick, don’t you get it? It’s just a fucking story! Get over yourself already. So what if they make shit up. Don’t you fantasize?”

            I grudgingly say, “Well hell, yeah I do. But seriously, dude I’m a murder in one.  A fucking murderer!”

            AJ chuckles and says, “I know. Wasn’t that a hoot?”

            I groan and say, “Why can’t you guys see it from my point of view?”

            He says, “Why can’t you see it from ours? Nick, it’s just stories. Not rumors, it’s not something that people think is real. It’s all make believe.  Seriously, Dude, grow up. Oh, and check your email. I found a hot one you’ll like. I bet you even jack off.”

            So here I go again. Reading another one. I’m half way through it and damn if I don’t have a fucking hard on.  Shit, women really write this stuff?  Damn I wish I could do half of it.  OK, the one story I can stand is almost pornographic?

            Before I totally lose my mind and jack off as AJ said I would, my phone rings.  Howie. When I answer, he says, “What’s up Nick? I got your twelve missed calls.”

            I say, “Howie...I can’t say I like this stuff. I just can’t.”

            Howie says, “Well you’re not hurting the fans feelings either.”

            I say, “So I’m supposed to lie?”

            He says, “Think of it as being diplomatic. What would Jesus do?”

            I have to laugh at him. I say, “I would expect Brian to say that.”

            Howie chuckles and says, “At least you aren’t mad anymore. Or are you?”

            I sigh and say, “I don’t know, D. I can’t help how I feel.”

            He says, “I know Nick. Look at it like this. How many times have fans given you a stuffed animal?”

            I groan and say, “More than I can count.”

            He says, “Yet you manage to smile and say thanks. Can you do that now?”

            I say, “I don’t know.”

            Howie says, “Think about it. I gotta go. Leigh’s reading one that’s turning her on. Later dude.”

 

            I hang up and close my eyes, trying to block out the mental picture of Howie doing the nasty with Leigh because of one of these stories. As I look at the computer again, I find my hand pushing my shorts out of the way. Who’s gonna know I did this?

 

 

Chapter 2 by colorguard_diva

Chapter 2

This morning I woke up refreshed and ready to start the day. I was looking forward to our interview. Well, actually I was looking forward to Nicky’s response about fan fiction. He was so dead set against it. I don’t know why the Blond Wonder was freaking out about something so trivial. It was just fan fiction.

I was meeting the other guys at the hotel restaurant for breakfast. For the first time I was early. I had beaten everyone. I totally think I deserved a prize or something. While I waited for the slackers to arrive, I turned on my iPad. I checked my email and opened the link the fan fic website we were sent. I was in the middle of a story and I wanted to finish it.

“What are you looking at?” Howie asked as he sat down.  I was so into the story that I didn’t realize he was talking to me. He took the tablet out of my hand and started reading my screen. “This is one of my favorite stories.”

“I know.” I commented as I grabbed it back from Howie.

“Leigh was reading this really hot one about a Christmas party. It made her so horny that we made love all night long.”

“You go Howie. You’re such a dog. Knowing you, I bet you role-played….”

“What kinky shit were you roleplaying?” Nick asked as he took a seat.

“You know sex scenes from those wonderful fantasy fictions he and Leigh reads.” I cackled.

“Are you for real? That’s fucking sick, man.” Nick yelled a little too loud. Some old lady gave us the school teacher look.

Howie blushed. “Well Leigh loves to role play and some of those sex scenes are so hot. You really should try it.”

“I think I’ll pass. I’m perfectly fine with my sex life.” Nick grumbled as he took a menu and pretended to read it.

“It can always be better.” I teased him.

“Just drop it.” He glared at me.

Poor Nicky, I guess he was still upset about the whole fan fiction situation. I found it funny that he was all pissy about the stories are fans wrote. I personally enjoyed it and would definitely be reading more. I mean what a better way to spend my time on tour when I was missing my Monkee.

Brian walked into the restaurant looking exhausted. He flopped down next to Carter. The waitress came over and took our order.

“Stay up too late?” I played with the sugar packets. You know I couldn’t be still for more than three point five seconds.

“Yeah and it’s all his fault.” Brian pointed to our favorite blond.

“What did I do know?” He sighed. Nick always got the blame for things. Hell even the fans blamed for everything in their own lives.

“I was up late last night looking for a story about Nick that he would like. Then I found one that hooked me from the first paragraph, and I couldn’t stop reading. I read an entire hundred chapter story in like four hours.”

The waitress brought our coffee and Brian downed his in one gulp. He grabbed the coffee pot and poured himself another one.

“Sorry for being such a shithead. I just can’t do it.” Nick mumbled.

“So what are you going to tell the fans?” I asked curiously.

Nick was in deep thought. Really like how hard could it be? I mean it was freaking fan fiction. It was like they were asking him about politics. That would be a mistake. Did Nick even know anything about politics? I wasn’t sure and I really didn’t care.

“I want to be honest, but I’ll sound like the world’s biggest jackass. I don’t want to hurt the fans feelings, but I don’t think I can lie about this.”

“Stuffed animals. Think about the stuffed animals.” Howie said trying to get Nick to focus.

“Ugh. I hate you all.” He leaned back in his seat and pouted. God, Nick could be the biggest baby of all time.

We ate breakfast in silence. I guess we were all wrapped up in our own thoughts. I was just ready to get in the van and finish my story. Howie was all smiles, so I know what he was thinking about. Brian was on his third, or possibly his fifth cup. I couldn’t keep track of his coffee consumption.

I finished my meal. “I’ll see you at the van. Don’t be late.”

About ten minutes later, the rest of the guys joined me in the van. I had only one chapter to go.  Nick plopped down next to me.

“I can’t believe you are still reading this crap…I mean stuff.”

“It’s not stuff. Think about your adoring fans for one minute. We love writing music. They love to write. Our fans are using us as a creative outlet.”

Nick thought for a moment. “Yeah, they’re real creative. I’m a womanizer. I’m dying from accidents or fatal diseases. That’s so creative. They love me so much that they write about my dick with its own special name. I mean Thor of all names.” Nick moaned and groaned. To tell you the truth it was getting old. He was making me crave a cigarette.

“If they only knew what you called your little friend.” I punched him in the arm.

“You wish it was little.” Nick paused for a moment. “Maybe Thor is a good name for well you know.”

“Nicky getting shy all of a sudden.” I teased, and he responded by flicking me off. “Anyways, I’ll let you in on a little secret.”

“I don’t want to know about your sex life with Ro. I hear enough when you room next to me. Damn she can scream.” Nick said dryly.

“Well this is about sex. As much as our fans think I’m the kinky one. You know because I have all these tattoos and wear black, whatever. I’m a pretty traditional guy when it comes to sex. I’m all about making sure my woman is happy.”

“Shut up, J. I told you I don’t want to hear about your sex life.” Nick protested by holding his ears.

I grabbed his hands, removing them from his ears. “Just listen to me for one fucking minute. Sure, Ro loves the way I love her. But, I didn’t want things to get old in the bedroom. So after reading these stories written by the fans for the last few years, I got some great sex ideas. These women are better than Cosmo magazine. So it’s not all bad. They’ve helped keep my sex life interesting.”

“And Howie’s, too.” Nick gave me a half smile.

I gave him my iPad. “Look the interview isn’t for another couple of hours. Look at a few of my favorite stories. I think you just might change your mind.”

 

Chapter 3 by colorguard_diva

Chapter 3

            We’re going to end up looking bad in this interview if we can’t get Nick on the same page with us. I mean, seriously, if he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t like it, but he can’t just go out and be mean about it. Our fans deserve better.  Why oh why did I have to end up being the “responsible one” after Kevin left?  I’d give anything for someone ELSE to have to convince him to just let this one ride.

            As the van pulls away, my phone rings.  Great, a reprieve from Nick. Until I hear what’s being said on the other end of the line. When I hang up, AJ says, “What’s up now, D? Leigh want to play a new game tonight?”

            I want to laugh when I see the look on Nick’s face, but I know what I have to tell them is going to piss him off royally.  I clear my throat and say, “Umm, no, that was our press agent.”

            Nick groans and says, “Now what? We’re going to do a dramatic reading of one of these twisted stories?”

            I shake my head and say, “Umm, no, the umm, the DJ’s at the radio station kind of want to do a contest.”

            Brian says, “Well that’s nothing new, they always do.”

            Howie says, “Well, this is different.”

            Nick realizes he’s not going to like what I have to say and he says, “How fucking different?”

            I clear my throat and say, “Well, apparently that have been advertising this contest for a week or two…our press agents ok’d it because we ALWAYS do the contests.”

            Brian says, “So? We don’t have a problem with that?”

            Nick glares at me and says, “What?”

            I say, “Well, they have 20 short stories submitted to the station. 5 stories about each of us. We get to read through them and each pick 1 winner.”

            Nick says, “The FUCK if I’m doing this shit.”

            Brian says, “What’s the prize, Howie?”

            I close my eyes and say, “The winners get to collaborate with us on the kind of story we want them to write. They write it and we’re going to have it printed and sign the copies for them. Plus, the usual concert tickets and all that stuff.”

            AJ says, “Oh this will ROCK! I can’t wait to give my input on this!”

            Nick says, “No. I’m not doing it, I won’t do it. Forget it!”

            Brian pipes in and says, “Nick, listen. We’ve all done stuff we didn’t like. Hell, look at me? Look at all the stupid things I do on the cruise. The fans love it.”

            He shrugs and says, “Whatever. I just don’t think I can do this guys. Really.”

            I sigh and say, “Listen, we’re going to get the stories before we get there to read them. Just…please keep an open mind Nick. I swear if you can get through this, we’ll never do anything concerning fan fiction again, ok?  Please?”

            He shrugs and says, “Whatever.”

 

            Half an hour later we’re sitting at a table in the conference room at the radio station. An intern comes in and says, “We thought we’d give you a chance to read the stories. Attached to each is a bio about the author. Enjoy, some of them are…umm…graphic.”

            After he leaves, AJ says, “Graphic, huh?  Oh BOY!”

            I look at him and say, “Can it AJ. Let’s just read ok?”

            Nick looks at me and says, “D, can I talk to you?”

            He and I walk away from the table out of earshot and he says, “Can you help me out here? I really don’t want to do this.”

            I say, “What do you want me to do Nick?”

            He says, “Tell them I’m sick…anything. Just don’t make me go out there and lie about this.”

            I sigh and say, “Come on, let’s read your stories first. Better yet, read the bios. Find out WHY they write. Please?”

            I watch him as he settles back to read. Brian catches my eye and I just shrug. I don’t know if he’ll give in or not. Now I’m wondering if we should make him. He’s really bothered by this and we’re not paying much attention to his feelings.

 

            After reading all our entries, I pick my winner. It was super easy, she had me role playing Zorro. Gotta love it. I sit back and look at Nick. When he sees me, he says, “What?”

            I say, “Nick, listen. I know we’ve been pushing you…and that’s wrong. If you really…if you hate it that much, go back to the hotel. I’ll tell them you have a stomach virus or something.”

            He says, “Well…I’m still not happy about it, but I can see where you’re coming from.”

            Brian says, “Do you like any of the stories you have there?”

            He smirks and says, “Well, in a couple of them I’m actually normal. But that’s not what caught my eye.”

            I say, “What Nick?”

            He says, “The bios. I guess I can see where you guys are coming from.”

            I say, “So, what do you want to do Nick?”

 

           

Chapter 4 by colorguard_diva

Chapter 4

“I think I’m going to finish reading the bios and maybe attempt to read them.” Nick said unsurely.

“I’m glad you decided to man up.” I gave him a cheeky grin and ran back to my seat to finish reading my stories. I was stuck between two different stories.

All of us started watching Nick as he was reading. It was comical. Nick’s tongue was sticking out and he kept running his fingers through his hair. By the time he was finished he was going to start balding like me.

AJ gave me a look and I fell off my chair. Nick looked up and gave us a dirty look. I guess we were messing with his concentration.

Howie walked looking very serious.  It was the I’m the oldest and in charge look. Apparently he learned it from Kevin. I hoped that I never got the old man I need to eat prunes to go the bathroom look. It was so not me. Ha ha ha!

“Guys, does everyone have their winner picked out?”

“Oh, yes. I’m such a freak in the story I chose. It’s so me or at least the me the ladies think I am in the bedroom.” AJ wiggled his eyes.

“Can’t you just let them know you’re a missionary sex loving freak?” Nick remarked as he continued to read.

“And ruin my reputation. Puhhhlease!” AJ said dramatically.

“His nickname is Bone for a reason.” I jumped in AJ’s lap.

“Get the fuck off me. You wonder why they think we’re gay.” He pushed me off of him.

“Oh, AJ you are sooo hot….I love those sexy brown eyes.”

“Seriously guys. The interview is in like ten minutes. We need to have our choices picked.” Howie pinched the bridge of his nose. He was like a hybrid of Latin Lover and Anal Retentive Kevin.

“I have my winner picked.” I grabbed the story I chose and went to bother Nick. “Did you find a story that met your high standards?”

“Actually I found a story I liked, but I can’t find the bio to go with it.” He looked a little let down about it.

“So, what is this story about?” I tried glancing at the paper, but he hid it from me. I thought I was his best friend.

“It’s called Just A Man. It talks about how Nick Carter is just a regular man. You know he burps, farts, takes out the garbage. It’s like this girl understands that I’m normal.”

“That’s why they call it fiction.” I laughed at my own joke.

“Come on Nick. If there’s no bio, you need to choose another story.” Howie was starting to get pissed. I hoped his twitch didn’t come back. He could claim that it was a wink, but I knew that was a twitch caused by the youngest members of BSB.

“But I like this story.” He started to whine. Musically we were growing leaps and bounds. Personally, I think we were starting to regress back to our teen years. “There was no mention of Thor or that I said something stupid. It was funny and I wasn’t horny or stoned. It’s like the writer totally got me. She made me forget that the story was written about me by a fan.”

“It sounds great.” AJ said as he gave me a look over his sunglasses. If he wasn’t careful the secret would be out. I didn’t want that to happen.

“Just pick one, Nick.” Howie started walking towards the door.

“Fine. I choose the one written by the lady who wants to become a writer and is working two jobs. I loved her bio. She sounds nice.”

We made our way to the interview. All the DJ’s had smirks on their faces. I glanced at Nick; his face was a combination of horror and embarrassment.  Myself, I was slightly amused. I’ve done so much silly crap over the years during interviews that I was never self-conscious.

The interview was rather boring. I was waiting for them to talk about the contest. Nick was squirming in his seat. He was nervous. 

“Okay, so now for my favorite question.” Big Jimbo laughed. “From doing our research, we found that you guys have a cult following of loyal fans that write stories about you.”

“I was surprised at how many almost pornographic stories we found on you guys. These women have some raunchy ideas. So, what do you guys think about this?” The other DJ asked.

“Well, it’s not just pornographic fantasies. There are a bunch of stories about murders, zombies, among those visuals.” Howie mentioned diplomatically.

“Personally I love what I’ve read.” I said with a smile, not that the fans could see it.

“I have to admit. I’ve been reading fan fiction for years. It’s like a guilty pleasure.”

“What about you Nick?” Jimbo asked.

“Umm…well…I give these girls mad props. They really put their heart and souls into the stories they write.”

I was proud of Nick. He didn’t diss the fans or their stories.

“Well it’s time to announce the winners of the 93.7 Flash BSB fan fiction contest. Congrats to the following writers Mary Elizabeth Sinclair, Joelle Adams,  Anastasia Evans, and Marlinda Michaels. Congrats girls. We’ll be talking to our winners after the break.

The rest of the interview was successful. We got back into the van and headed toward the venue.  Howie was on his phone. Surprise, surprise. Nick was busy reading. What could it be? Nah, it wasn’t.

“What you got there, Nicky?” AJ grabbed the paper out of his hand.

“Give it back.”

“Our little Nick is reading a fan fic. Who would have thunk it?” AJ started reading it. “Just A Man. Sounds interesting.”

“Hey isn’t that the story you two were writing last night?” Howie asked from the front.

“Excuse me.” Nick gave us both a dirty look.

“Oh, yeah. Brian and I wanted to show you that fan fiction was cool.” AJ explained.

“Yeah, we listened to your complaints and wrote a story that had nothing you hated in it.”

“You, fuckers. I can’t believe you wrote this shit. It’s actually pretty good.” Nick started to laugh.

“Well, that’s because AJ has written a few.” I spilled the beans.

“Really?” Nick looked at AJ like he had three heads.

“What?” AJ didn’t see what the big deal was. “It’s a creative outlet. It’s not like I post them online. Well at least not under my name.”

The four of us had a good laugh all the way to the venue.

 

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10808