FWB: Be My Valentine? by tiggerc128
Summary:

stories/2003/images/FWB_Banner.jpg

Casual sex is expected in this day and age right? Doesn't everyone have a F.W.B.?  I do. Trouble is, I fell in love with him.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: Graphic Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Bad Girls Club
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 6962 Read: 6835 Published: 02/02/12 Updated: 02/06/12
Story Notes:

The Bad Girls are keeping me on my toes. I love our challenges and I think Valentine's Day was pretty unique. Sit back and enjoy....It was certainly fun to write!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

1. Chapter 1 by tiggerc128

2. Chapter 2 by tiggerc128

3. Chapter 3 by tiggerc128

4. Chapter 4 by tiggerc128

5. Chapter 5 by tiggerc128

Chapter 1 by tiggerc128

 

Chapter 1

            "Hey Baby it's me. Busy tonight?" When I hear the voice on the other end of my phone, my heart races a tiny bit. Then I remember it's not what I want it to be. But it's all I've got, so I plan on keeping it.

            OK, let me go back a little bit. Ever heard of being friends with benefits? That's what I am with AJ. We've been friends forever, then one night, a drunken game of truth or dare ended with us in bed. When we woke up, neither of us felt awkward about it so it just kept happening.

            That was four years ago. Sure, we've both dated. He's supposed to be engaged, but occasionally, we get together and have some fun. But more than that, we're really good friends. I talk to him almost every day. Anyway, getting back to the phone call, I say, "Sure, what did you have in mind?"

            He chuckles wickedly and says, "How about dinner and a movie?"

            I say, "Sounds good to me. Want me to meet you?"

            He says, "Nope. I'll pick you up in twenty."

            He hangs up before I can respond. Twenty minutes? Damn him!

 

            When he knocks on the door, I'm looking at myself in the floor length mirror in the bathroom. I probably won't get to see him again before the holidays so I decided something other than jeans is in order.  I barely had time to take a 5 minute shower, thanking God I shaved earlier that evening.  I decided to wear a short, denim jumper with a pale pink blouse underneath it.  Since it's AJ I'm going out with, who needs panties or a bra? Not me. It is rather chilly for late September so I grab a sweater, just in case.

            When I open the door, he's standing there, a cigarette hanging in his mouth and his cell phone up to his ear.  I hear him say, "Dammit, just leave me alone, ok? I'm not dealing with this tonight. Good bye!"

            When he hangs up, I say, "Everything ok?"

            He nods and steps inside, placing a sweet kiss on my cheek. I sigh as he walks by me. He says, "I don't know, but I don't want to talk about it now."

            I turn to him and say, "If you're sure...you just seem really upset and you never enjoy the movie when you have something on your mind."

            He takes my hand and says, "You know me too well. That was Ro."

            I sit down and pull him down beside me. He puts his cigarette out in an ash tray as I say, "What's going on?"

            He lays his head back and says, "She's not sure she wants to get married."

            My heart rate doubles but I keep my face emotionless and say, "Why?"

            He says, "I don't know, some kind of bullshit that even when we're just hanging out, my mind is somewhere else.  Well hell, we've spent the past two months going over HER wedding dress, the flowers SHE wants, where SHE wants to get married. Yes I'm bored with it because I'm not needed in the plans."

            I feel my heart sink and I say, "Maybe she thinks you don't really want to marry her, AJ."

            He says, "If I didn't want to, I wouldn't have asked her. I just can't get into the planning part of it. I left it up to her and she's not even happy about that either."

            I move away from him and stand up and say, "You want anything to drink?"

            He shakes his head no and says, "I just don't understand her problem. I thought women loved to plan weddings. I thought she'd be happy if I let her do whatever she wants."

            I turn my back to him to hide my feelings and say, "Maybe she wants a little effort on your part to make it feel like you're as into it as she is."

            He growls and says, "Well I'm not. I mean, I want to marry her, but I don't want to plan it. What should I do?"

            I say, "AJ, how long have we been friends?"

            He sighs and says, "Years. Years and years. You were my first crush, then we hit the big time and you became the only person in my life who didn't want to be my friend for the money. You're the only true friend I have."

            My heart melts at his words. I say, "Then trust your friend. Rochelle wants you to be involved in some way. If you really hate the planning process, tell her that. Be honest. Did you do that?"

            He says, "No. No, I didn't. You're right, I guess my attitude isn't really the best in the world about this."

            I laugh and say, "AJ, you're such a GUY sometimes. Where do you want to eat?"

            He says, "Let's go to The Brewery. I want a steak."

            I say, "Sounds good, let me get my purse."

            I go into my bedroom and grab my bag. I may want AJ to love me, but he doesn't. I don't want to lose my friend so I'm going to do what I can to make sure he's happy.

            When I turn to walk out of the bedroom, he's standing in the door. I jump and say, "Dammit, AJ you're so quiet. You scared me."

            He laughs and says, "I'm sorry. I just...well..."

            I laugh and say, "Shy around me, AJ?"

            I see the passion in his eyes and he says, "Not before tonight. You look good, Baby."

            I walk up to him and say, "Thank you my dear. Let's go eat. I'm starving."

            When I step up in front of him, he puts his hands lightly on my waist and says, "We could do other things first."

            I have to giggle. Since we started having sex, he's always so cute about initiating it. We haven't slept together in months. I want him so bad I can't stand it, but I also know I have to keep it light and friendly. I say, "Let's go eat, AJ. If you want that, you're gonna need your strength."

            He says, "For you, I have the strength of ten men."

            I lean up and kiss him lightly on the lips. When I pull back, I say, "Food. Let's go."

            He follows me out, saying, "I can't believe you're making me work for it."

            I grab a sweater and say, "Not work for AJ. I'm really starving. If you want it to be good..."

            He says, "Hey, I'm the baddest boy the group's got!"

            I laugh and say, "Yes, I know and you know that is one of my favorite songs. Let's go eat."

            He puts his arm around my shoulder and says, "You're on. Just remember this later when we get back. I want to get into your panties."

            I giggle as he opens the car door and I say, "That should be easy, I'm not wearing any."

            He groans and says, "You lie."

            I wink at him and say, "You'll find out. Let's go."

            When he gets in the driver's seat, he says, "Show me."

            I say, "No."

            He says, "Please?"

            I laugh and say, "No, now let's go."

            He pouts and says, "Pretty please..."

            When I look at him and he rolls his lower lip down, I cave.  I say, "Only if you promise not to smoke for the rest of the night."

            He groans and says, "Come, seriously? You know I love my smokes."

            I say, "I know it's going to kill you one day. I want you to stop forever. Can't you give me one night?"

            He rolls his eyes and says, "Make it worth my while and yes, I will."

            I smile seductively and say, "Promise?"

            With his eyes boring into mine, he says, "I promise."

            I look around and he does the same before saying, "It's safe. Show me."

            I slowly slide my skirt up and when AJ sees I wasn't lying, he whistles and says, "Damn, Celeste, you shaved just for me?"

            I laugh and say, "No, I shave for me. YOU just happen to like how it feels."

            He slides his hand over the smooth skin of my mound causing me to get a lot turned on and he says, "Correction, I LOVE how it feels. Sure you don't wanna skip dinner?"

            I almost give in when the tip of his finger dips inside me. But I stand my ground and say, "Dinner first...please?"

            He leans closer to me and kisses me gently before saying, "I'm having YOU for dessert."

 

End Notes:

PLEASE let me know! :)

Chapter 2 by tiggerc128

 

Chapter 2

            Once we're at the restaurant, once again, our friendship takes control. When we're out in public is when it's the worst because I can't let my feelings show at all. I can't let AJ's career be tainted by our "benefits".

            Of course, the paparazzi are waiting at the door. One guy says, "Who's the girl?"

            AJ says, "My best friend, what's it to you?"

            The photographer says, "Won't the future Mrs. McLean be steamed you're stepping out?"

            AJ says, "Hardly. She's knows my friends. This happens to be my best friend in the world. Now, if you'll back off, we're going to have dinner and discuss my wedding."

            Another photographer says, "Who's your best man?"

            AJ laughs and says, "She is...and she's not a man!"

            When we get to the table, I look at AJ and say, "That was a joke, right?"

            He says, "No, not at all. I already told Ro I want you in the wedding party. She's all for it."

            I say, "Umm, AJ, that's really sweet, but how can I be best man?"

            He laughs and says, "Same way Mark is a bride's maid. It's gonna be our way, not the traditional way."

            On the inside I'm dying. I knew they'd invite me to the wedding, but to be in it? How can I do that? I try to wipe the emotion from my face and say, "No, there's definitely nothing traditional about you."

            He chuckles and says, "You've known that for a long time."

            The waiter approaches and takes our drink order. AJ seems shocked when I order a glass of wine in comparison to his coke. When the waiter walks away, he says, "What's going on Celeste? You only drink when you're upset."

            I sigh and say, "I'm not really upset. I just thought a glass of wine would be nice."

            He shakes his head and says, "If you think I'm buying that load of bull, you're crazy. So give it up, what's wrong?"

            The waiter leaves our glasses and I take a sip before I say, "Just a lot going on at work, that's all. Layoffs are coming and I'm hoping it's not me."

            AJ says, "Sweetheart, why didn't you tell me? Is there anything I can do?"

            I say, "No, not really. I just have to wait and see. No since having everyone worry about it with me."

            He says, "Don't worry. You know I'm always here for you. Ro too."

            I sigh on the inside. I want him with me. NOT Ro. I say, "What are you having for dinner?"

            He checks out his menu while I barely glance at mine. I'm not hungry. Not anymore. The time is drawing close when our little relationship will probably end. Not our friendship, but I highly doubt he'll come to me for sex once he's married. Deciding to make tonight count, a plan forms in my mind.

            When the waiter takes our orders and walks away, I pick up my wine glass and take another sip. AJ's eyes lock on mine just as my foot travels up his leg. He gets that look. The look that says I'm gonna get it when we're alone. He leans forward and says, "What are you doing?"

            I say, "Nothing. Just stretching my leg." When my foot slips between his thighs and my toes rub his crotch, I see him jump slightly. I smile and say, "Everything ok?"

            He smirks and says, "You're so gonna pay for that."

            I laugh and start to take my foot away.  He grabs my ankle and slides his hand halfway up my calf. I say, "Your arms aren't long enough."

            He laughs and says, "Your skin is so smooth. I love touching it."

            I smile and say, "I like that myself."

            He lets go of my leg and I pull my foot back. He picks up his coke and takes a drink before he says, "Tell me about work."

            The rest of dinner is just like that. Fun and easy. I've never been able to talk to anyone like I do AJ. He truly knows everything about me. Well, almost everything. He cares about me like no one else ever has. And let's face it; I love him more than anything. I just can't tell him that.

            After dinner is gone, the waiter says, "Will you be having dessert this evening?"

            AJ's eyes collide with mine and the heat that flows through my body could set the table on fire. I look up at the waiter and say, "I'd love a hot fudge sundae."

            AJ says, "Bring two spoons."

            I laugh as the waiter walks away and I say, "Who says I'll share?"

            He chuckles and says, "I only want a bite. I'm going to eat you later."

            I almost choke on my wine when he says that.  He sees the look in my eyes and he knows he has me. I manage to say, "Maybe."

            He laughs and says, "Maybe? Seriously, I bet you're ready for it now, aren't you?"

            I ignore his question as my sundae is placed before me. I pick up my spoon and put it in my mouth. My eyes lock on AJ's as I slowly pull it out. He groans quietly and says, "Naughty girl, you'll pay for that."

            I laugh and eat my sundae, sharing it with him. When it's gone and he pays the bill, we slowly walk out of the restaurant. When we get outside, he takes out a cigarette. I say, "Uh huh huh, you promised. Not tonight."

            He groans and says, "PLEASE? Just one?"

            I shake my head as he helps me into his car. When he gets in, I say, "You promised AJ. You light that, you are NOT getting into my panties."

            He smirks and says, "You aren't wearing any. Kind of a moot point." Even though he's still arguing, he doesn't light up. I smile and lean over to kiss him on the cheek. I say, "Thank you."

            He laughs and says, "Ten photographers just took a picture of that."

            I laugh back and say, "So? Not the first time."

            Before we're out of the parking lot, his phone rings. He looks at the caller ID and says, "It's Ro." He puts it on speaker phone because he's driving and I sit quietly, hoping it doesn't get to personal because I'm listening.

            She says, "What's going on? Who are you out with?"

            He says, "I took Celeste to dinner. She's down. She might lose her job."

            I hear her sigh before she says, "AJ, do you know how that looks? She's single, you're engaged."

            I turn my head to hide the hurt, but AJ knows I'm bothered by her comment. He says, "Ro, she's my best friend. I'm not ditching her when she needs me because you think it will look bad."

            She says, "AJ, come on, our wedding is in a couple of months. What's she going to do after we're married?"

            A single tear slides down my face. She's right. What will I do?

            AJ says, "She's still going to be my friend. Dammit, Ro, I told you, I'm not changing who I am for anyone. I'm not ditching my friends either."

            He stops in front of my building and before he can stop me, I'm out of his car and running to the door. I hear him say, "Celeste, wait!" but I just keep going.

            When I get to my apartment, I don't bother closing the door. I know AJ is behind me. I go over to the window and stare out at the stars, not sure I'm ready to face AJ or the possibility I'll lose my friend the moment he says, "I do."

End Notes:

PLEASE let me know! :)

Chapter 3 by tiggerc128

 

Chapter 3

            By the time he makes it inside, I have myself under control once more. He says, "Celeste, I'm sorry. So is Ro. She didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

            I say, "It's ok, AJ. I guess I don't want to think about after you're married. You're my best friend. It's gonna be weird when I can't see you."

            He pulls me around to face him and says, "I told her, I'm telling you, nothing is going to change. I won't give you up for anyone. You've stood by me through hell and back."

            I put my hand on his face and say, "But AJ, if you're married, how will it look if you hang out with me?"

            He says, "I don't give a flying flip what it looks like. Do you want to stop being my friend?" I shake my head no and he says, "There you go then. We'll be friends forever. Got it?"

            I smile and hug his neck and say, "Got it."

            He says, "Now...since we missed a movie, want to rent one on cable?"

            I laugh and say, "Sure. I'll grab us a drink. You want another coke? Or something harder?"

            He laughs and says, "I'll stick with coke, thank you." I have to laugh with him. He knows the hardest thing I drink at home is wine coolers. When I'm with him, I usually don't drink at all. I grab us each a coke and go into the living room to find the lights turned down and the TV turned up.

            I hand him his coke and sit down beside him and say, "What are we watching?"

            He says, "My all time favorite movie. The Big Easy."

            I laugh and say, "Hey, I like that one too."

            We settle in to watch and I can't help but think about how close together we're sitting. He pulls me in close against him as the sexual tension builds up between the characters in the movie. I can't help it. I get so aroused.  And AJ knows it.

            He turns to me as the first really sexy love scene starts and he says, "I do believe you like this part of the movie."

            I turn my face to his and say, "Whatever do you mean?"

            He slides his hand up my thigh under my dress and says, "Why didn't you wear panties?"

            As his fingers slowly circles the heat emanating from my body, I say, "Why do you think?"

            He smiles and says, "It's been a while."

            I say, "It has. Want to finish the movie?"

            As his finger slides inside me, he whispers, "Later. Right now I want to finish you."

            His lips cover mine as he pushes my back on the couch. My legs open wider and his fingers explore me more fully. I drink in his flavor as he moves his probing fingers faster and faster. I pull my lips from his and say, "AJ, wait...we have all night."

            He says, "I know...but this one's all for you."

            He pushes my dress up farther and lowers his head.  When his lips join his tongue, I come unglued. I arch up into him as he explores my body as only he can. I grab his head and hold him tighter against me as he draws my first orgasm from me. My body quivers in lust as he moves his lips across my stomach. He sits up and leans toward me, kissing me deeply. Tasting myself on his lips is a shock in itself but it just makes me want him more.

            I stand in front of him and take off my jumper.  As I'm unbuttoning my blouse, he strips off his shirt. When I see the tattoos across his chest, a sultry smile crosses my lips. He sees it and says, "What's so funny?"

            I grin and say, "Nothing. I think you're gonna be surprised by what I did a few months ago."

            He laughs as he's stripping off his pants. He says, "Nothing you do surprises me Celeste."

            I drop my shirt and say, "Are you sure?"

            When I turn my back to him, I hear his breath hiss through his teeth. I feel his fingers slowly trace the tattoo that now crosses the bottom of my back. He says, "When did you do this?"

            I laugh and start to turn to face him, but he stops me. He kneels behind me and takes in every inch of the tattoo, studying the detail.  In the center is a moon, surrounded by shooting stars. I say, "I decided I wanted to do something wild and crazy. Wild and crazy for me anyway. Do you like it?"

            He says, "Darling, it's beautiful. And sexy as hell." When his tongue finds the center of the moon, I gasp, a tingling shooting down my legs.

            He stands and I turn to face him. I say, "Now what?"

            When he looks down, my eyes follow his and my body shivers in anticipation. I am always amazed at how hard he gets when we make love. He smiles at me and says, "Come here."

            He pulls me around to the back of the couch and leans me over it. His fingers caress the stars on my back as he slowly joins our bodies together. I grip the back of the couch and moan as he pumps in and out of me. Slowly at first, making me wetter and wetter.

When I start to whimper, he speeds up, thrusting harder and harder. I want to scream. He slides his hands under my stomach and pulls me back until I'm standing up in front of him. His hands cover my breasts and his fingers tease my nipples as we grind together. He bites my neck before whispering, "You feel so good, Baby."

I cover his hands with mine as he brings us closer and closer. When I feel my body tense up, I lean forward again. He grabs my hips and thrusts himself deeply inside me, letting go of his load.

When I turn to face him, I lean on the back of the couch as his lips cover mine. His hands slide over my back as mine go up his chest and around his neck. He moves his lips to my ear and whispers, "It's never been as good as it is with you."

I savor the feel of his lips and teeth on my neck as I whisper, "For me either, AJ. You make me feel amazing."

He pulls back and looks at me intently. He says, "Come on, Baby. Let's go get comfortable on that big old bed of yours."

Before we move, he lowers his head and kisses me sensually. He's never kissed me like this before. It's more than just our tongues battling to be in charge. He's literally making love to my mouth with his and my body is on fire for him.

He sweeps me up into his arms and carries me into my room. The rest of the night passes in a haze of carnal lust. By the time we wake up at dawn, my body aches. But I wouldn't change a thing. He kisses my temple and says, "I have to go, Baby. Meetings today."

I turn and kiss him before saying, "I have to work too. Call me and we'll do lunch soon."

 

That was the last time I saw AJ until mid December. He called, but we never got together again. But I could tell things had changed quite a bit. He was getting more and more involved with the wedding. He seems happy. So I should be happy for him, right?  Right.

 

End Notes:

Please let me know! :)

Chapter 4 by tiggerc128

 

Chapter 4

            I get an email from Rochelle 9 days before the wedding. I look at my dress hanging on the back of my closet door as I click open the email. What I read shocks me beyond belief.

Dear Celeste, By now I guess AJ told you the wedding is off. I couldn't marry him. Not knowing how he feels about you. I want you and him to know I'm not mad. Not by any means. I love him but seeing the love he has for you makes me realize he and I could never be happy. He's mad at me right now. He's furious. He won't admit he loves you, but he does. He's coming to you. Take care of him. Love him like only you can. Ro

To say I'm shocked would be an understatement of massive proportions. I grab my phone and call AJ. He answers on the second ring and says, "Hey Baby, what's up?"

I can tell he's drunk. I say, "Where are you AJ?"

He says, "I just got into town...I'm at my hotel. I'm going to rent a car and come over."

I say, "Take a taxi, AJ. Please."

He swears and says, "Fine. But you better be naked when I get there."

 

I wait out front and when the taxi pulls up, I pay the driver, helping AJ stumble from the car. He's carrying two six packs of Mike's Hard Lemonade and he practically falls on me. He says, "Hey Baby, I'm here to get some. Look I even remembered you like wine coolers."

I hold him up as we stagger in to my apartment and I say, "You've had enough AJ. I think you need to sleep it off."

I put the drinks away and come back to find him naked, strutting around my living room with a hard on. I say, "AJ, what are you doing?"

He chuckles and says, "I'm dancing. Now that you're here, you can dance with me. Take off your clothes. Come on Baby."

I take his hand and pull him to my bedroom. When he sits on the bed, I say, "Go to sleep, AJ. We'll talk when you sober up."

He sighs and says, "Ro called it off. She doesn't want to marry me. Says I don't love her enough and she won't play second fiddle anymore."

I capture his hand and say, "I'm sorry AJ."

He says, "I'm not." Catching me off guard, he pulls me down onto his chest and his lips capture mine. Even drunk off his feet, the man can kiss. He rolls me over, pinning me on the bed before ripping his lips from mine. He whispers, "I missed you Celeste. Missed touching you and kissing you."

My mind screams no as my body caves. I let him rip off my clothes. His lips tease my nipples as his fingers probe between my thighs. He crawls up over me and thrusts inside me fast. When I whimper, he slows down slightly and says, "I'm sorry Babe. I love you."

Love. He said love. I can't believe it. He makes love to me over and over, using every part of his body to make me feel good. When we finally collapse in exhaustion, I manage to say, "I love you too."

 

When I wake up the next morning, AJ is sitting in the floor with the waste basket by his side. I rub the back of his head and say, "You ok?"

He groans and says, "I'm so stupid."

I say, "Come on, I'll make you some coffee."

Before I can move, he says, "Did I hurt you?"

I say, "No, AJ. You didn't. You don't remember?"

He says, "All I remember is having the best sex of my life then waking up with a hangover."

I move away from him and pull on a robe. As I'm making coffee, I think about what he said. Before I can carry the cups into the bedroom, he staggers into the kitchen and says, "I'm sorry. I'm just so pissed at Ro. She left me. She says I don't love her but I do."

Hearing him say it breaks my heart. I say, "What about last night, AJ?"

He says, "What? You're mad I got drunk? Come on, you know that hasn't happened in forever."

I say, "No, what about what you said to me?"

He looks genuinely confused and says, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Realizing he truly doesn't, I drop my gaze from his and say, "Never mind. It wasn't important. Feel free to hang out here today. I have to go to work."

I go jump in the shower, letting my tears fall freely under the steaming water. I'm shocked when he steps in behind me and says, "What did I say?"

I shake my head and say, "It's not important, AJ. What are you doing today?"

He sighs and hugs me against his wet body. I can't help it, I get turned on. He says, "I wanna do you again so I can remember every detail. I know last night was amazing, but it's a blur."

Against my will, I turn to face him. He kisses me deeply as he lifts my leg and positions himself at my opening. When he slides in slowly, he whispers, "Incredible."

He lowers his head to my neck and nibbles as his body rocks up into mine. I grab the back of his neck and whimper as he moves a little faster. I scream as I climax and he says, "I want one more. Give it to me."

I lead him from the shower and slide up on the vanity. He steps between my legs and ploughs into me roughly. Grabbing my hips, he says, "You're so tight."

I bite his shoulder as he brings me closer and closer. He leans back pulls my face to his for an electrifying kiss as we both hit our pinnacles at the same time.

When we catch our breath, he says, "I missed you Celeste. I'm sorry I was drunk last night."

I hug him and say, "I'm sorry about the wedding. What are you going to do?"

He sighs and says, "I don't know. Try to get her back."

I push away from him and stalk into the bedroom. He follows me and I say, "AJ, you are my best friend and I love you but I think if you want Ro back, you have to stay away from me. It's not fair to her if we keep doing what we're doing."

He grimaces and says, "But Celeste..."

I shake my head and say, "Please. I want you to be happy and Ro will make you happy. If we can't...we can't. I'll always be your friend though."

He puts on his clothes and leaves, but not before saying, "I never meant to hurt you."

Finding the courage from deep within, I say, "You didn't. I just want you to be happy. Go talk to Ro. Tell her how you feel. Make it work if you can."

When he leaves, I fall apart. After a good cry, I go to my computer and send an email of my own.

Dear Ro, AJ's coming back to you. He doesn't love me, he loves you. He's always been my best friend, but he wants to be with you. I accept that. If you love him, give him a chance. Celeste

            I shut down my computer and in that instant, I feel it. My heart is completely shattered. I've lost the only man I ever loved. Lost the best part of my life. How do I go on?

 

End Notes:

PLEASE let me know! :)

Chapter 5 by tiggerc128

 

Chapter 5

            I have Christmas with my family. Sophia keeps trying to get me to talk but I can't. I love my sister but I have to deal with this on my own. After the New Year, I throw myself into my work. I avoid any and all news reports about AJ. I even avoid Twitter. Why? I don't want to see or hear about them making up and re-planning the wedding.

            When AJ's birthday rolls around, I really tie one on. I go out with friends and get so blitzed, they put me up in a hotel for the night. When I wake up, I realize I'm killing myself slowly by torturing myself about AJ. I clean up and make the decision to move on with my life.

            When I get to my house, I'm shocked to find a limo sitting in the parking lot. That's not something you see every day. I get to my apartment to find AJ sitting on the floor by the door. He sees me and stands up, saying, "Where the hell have you been? I've been worried sick!"

            I push past him and unlock the door. I say, "I was out. Why are you here?"

            He says, "We always go out on my birthday. Always."

            I turn to face him and say, "I'm sorry AJ. I figured you would be with Ro so I went out for drinks with Gracie and the girls."

            He says, "It's ok. It's not like I called and told you I'd be here. I just thought..."

            Changing the subject, I say, "How's Ro?"

            As I'm searching through my purse for something to kill this raging headache, he says, "I don't know. We aren't together."

            I straighten up and look at him and say, "I'm sorry AJ."

            I go into the kitchen and he follows me. He says, "Don't be. She was right. We just weren't working. I was too upset to see it."

            Before I can say anything, my phone rings. I grab it on the second ring. What I hear on the other end of the line makes me sink further into my depression. When I hang up, AJ says, "What's wrong?"

            I sniff and say, "It's official. I lost my job."

            I go into the bedroom and fall over on the bed, crying. He comes in and wraps his arms around me and holds me. I can't believe what's happening to me. First I lost him, now my job. What's next?

            He hugs me tight and says, "Come on, let's go get some breakfast, Sweetheart."

            I say, "I'm sorry AJ I don't think my stomach will accept food."

            He laughs and says, "You really got hammered, huh?" When I nod, he says, "Come on, we'll go for a walk."

            And thus, our friendship is renewed. By the time he leaves that day, I'm secure in the knowledge that he and Ro are really over and he's picking up the pieces. We didn't make love. Somehow, I don't think either of us were ready for it.

            The next few weeks we fall back into our routines, only I'm looking for a job. Thankfully, I found one rather quickly, but the pay isn't quite as good as what I had before. As I contemplate moving to a smaller apartment with lower rent, AJ calls me and says, "You busy Tuesday night?"

            I say, "No, why?"

            He says, "I want to take you out for dinner. OK?"

            I say, "Sure, sounds great. Why Tuesday?"

            He chuckles and says, "Silly girl, it's Valentine's Day."

            Before I can object, he hangs up. I sit and stare at my phone like it's going to explain this to me because I sure don't understand. He wants to take me out for Valentine's Day? Really?

 

            When Tuesday comes around, I leave work early, not really enjoying losing the hours, but I have to have time to prepare. AJ's picking me up at 6:15. By 4:30, I've showered and shaved. Yes, I shaved everything. Even though we haven't made love again, a girl can dream, right?

            By 6:00, I'm dressed and ready. Slinky black dress with a handkerchief hem and spaghetti straps, thigh high stockings and stilettos complete the ensemble. I have a black wrap on the back of the couch and when the door bell rings, I think I'm ready.

Until I open the door and see AJ standing there in a black suit and tie looking sexy as hell. He looks me up and down and says, "Baby, you look amazing."

I smile and say, "I can't believe you asked me out for Valentine's Day."

He picks up my wrap and settles it over my shoulders before saying, "Why not? You're my favorite Valentine."

I smile at his corniness and he leads me out to the waiting town car. When we get to the restaurant, he ignores all questions from the paparazzi and leads me inside. When we are settled in our romantic, corner booth, he says, "I want to talk to you about something important."

I say, "OK. What's wrong?"

He orders a bottle of champagne then turns to me and says, "Nothing's wrong. I've done some soul searching and I want to tell you what I found."

After our champagne is poured, AJ scoots closer to me and says, "I missed you."

I say, "You did?"

He says, "I missed all of you, Celeste. I missed being with you and talking and laughing. Most of all...I missed loving you."

I say, "AJ, we both needed time."

He says, "I know. And in that time I figured some things out."

The waiter comes back and takes our order. After he leaves, I say, "What did you figure out?"

He smiles and says, "I'll tell you after dinner. I promise. For now, I have a present for you."

He takes out a long narrow box and says, "Happy Valentine's Day."

I shake my head and say, "AJ, what did you do?"

He smiles and says, "What I should have done a long time ago."

When I open the box, there's a delicate gold chain with a heart shaped pendant on it. I smile and say, "AJ, it's beautiful, thank you."

He puts it around my neck and says, "Perfect. I knew it would be."

Throughout dinner, we talk like we used to. Part of me wants to ask him about his revelations, but I'm enjoying just being with him so much, I can't. At the end of dinner, he asks, "How's the new job?"

I sigh and say, "I guess it's ok. It's kind of boring and doesn't pay enough. I'll be apartment hunting soon."

He takes my hand and says, "Not if I can help it. Come on, time for me to tell you what I figured out."

Once we're in the limo, he says, "I know why things didn't work with Ro."

I say, "Why?"

He says, "She and I weren't friends. We were everything but. What it all came down to was we didn't have enough in common to continue." Before I can say anything, he says, "Celeste, do you notice anything different about me?"

I look at him, completely confused, and then it dawns on me. I say, "You're not smoking?"

He smiles and says, "It's been 22 days."

I hug him and say, "I'm so proud of you. But why?"

Before he can answer, the car stops. We're at my apartment. We get out and he holds my hand as we walk to my door. Once inside, I say, "Why did you stop smoking, AJ?"

He holds my hands and looks deep into my eyes. He says, "I did it for you, Celeste."

After the initial shock of his words, I say, "Why?"

He says, "I had to prove to you I mean it."

I say, "Mean what, AJ?"

He says, "I love you Celeste. Throughout my crazy life, I have always loved you."

I can't help it. Tears start falling. He brushes them away and says, "I was so stupid. I couldn't see what I had right in front of my face. I'm supposed to be with you, Celeste. Nobody but you."

I have to giggle. He laughs and says, "Sweetheart, I'm so sorry for all the ways I hurt you. I love you."

I sigh and lean into him. After he kisses me gently, I say, "I love you too, AJ."

He holds me close and whispers, "I want to make love to you, Celeste."

I look up into his eyes and whisper, "I want that too."

He kisses me and then he says, "Just one more thing I have to ask you."

I say, "What's that?"

He drops down on one knee and says, "Will you marry me, Celeste?"

 

End Notes:

This is it. The end of my Bad Girls Valentine!  Hope you've all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it. AJ is certainly inspirational!

PLEASE, let me know!  :)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10819