Masquerade by JennayHeartsNick
Summary:

I liked the monthly March challenge so much, I decided to write another one.  Enjoy!!


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1591 Read: 2021 Published: 03/09/12 Updated: 03/09/12

1. Chapter 1 by JennayHeartsNick

Chapter 1 by JennayHeartsNick

Brian took a running start and then began his tumble across the courtyard’s length, ending with a seamanly hard landing, trying his hardest to get the prince to even CRACK a smile. He figured with his full court jester outfit on and making funny faces and voices at him, he would at least lighten up a little.

Walking over to the prince, Brian said, "What is wrong? Am I not funny enough for you anymore?" Brian had been Nick’s only confidant growing up. Even though Brian worked for the Royals, he was Nick’s best friend.

"My mother and father just had "the talk" with me again about marriage" Nick replied. "I don’t understand the significance of it as much as they do I guess. I can become King someday and not have to have a queen by my side. And now they are talking about having an arranged marriage" he explained.

"Well, your majesty, I think they are more concerned with you producing an heir to the throne for the kingdom than anything else" Brian said.

"I just don’t think I want that Brian. I don’t know how to make them see that I may never BE ready for marriage, a family" Nick said wearily.

"Well, its getting late and you had better retire to your room to prepare for the Independence Celebration tonight" Brian suggested.

With a curt nod, Nick stood up from the throne and headed down the passageway towards his chambers. Upon entering, he’d seen his servants had already laid out his costume for the Celebration Ball tonight. It was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their independence as a country. He figured he could just put in a quick appearance and then slip out early unnoticed. He had planned on going down to the beach, one of his favorite places, and do some thinking about is life. He quickly disrobed and dressed in his costume. Sliding the mask over his face, he looked at himself in the full sized mirror. Sighing, he turned around and left the room to head to the party.

The ball was just getting underway as Nick entered the grand ballroom. The preparations for the ball had been going on for the last week, under the watchful eye of his mother, the Queen. Everything was decorated in the country’s colors of red and blue. Music filled the room from the full band of musicians in the corner of the room and some couples had already found their way to the dancing area. Dry ice was in tubes behind the scenes to make the room look smoky. Tables upon tables of delectable looking food lined the opposite corner of the ballroom. The King and Queen had taken their seats on the thrones at the head of room, talking softly to each other. The theme of the evening was a masquerade so all the people in attendance were wearing masks. Ladies in beautiful ball gowns and the men in an array of dress uniforms to animals.

Nick found it kind of confusing as he could not recognize anyone due to the masks. All of a sudden, he was knocked forward by someone bumping into him. Looking behind him, ready to tear someone’s head off, Nick found Brian, dresses in a colorful lynx suit. Nick burst out laughing at the sight of him.

"A-HA! I finally made you laugh your highness!" Brian shouted.

"Well, you look like a moronic cat!" Nick shouted through his laughter.

Throwing his arm around his friend, Nick lead them over to the food tables. Picking up a big, plump strawberry, Nick inspected it then popped it into his mouth. After he swallowed it, he told Brian of his plan to sneak out early. Maybe Brian could help him escape.

"I’ll do what I can, your highness" Brian told him.

They separated and Nick headed towards his parents. On his way, he noticed a woman, sitting alone in the corner, dressed in a gown that looked like it had seen better days. On her face, she word nothing more than a mask made of paper with colorful drawings on it. The artwork on the mask was exquisite. This enthralled him, so he made his way over to the woman. When he reached her, he stood in front of her and she was so lost in her own thoughts, she didn’t realize he was standing there.

Clearing his throat, he said, "May I have this dance miss?"

Startled out of her thoughts, the woman looked at him. Recognizing him as the prince, she quickly stood up and curtsied. "Why yes, your highness. As you wish" she responded.

Nick took her hand and led her out onto the dance floor. Taking her waist in one hand, he lifted her other hand in his as she wrapped her arm around his back. They began to move in a graceful rhythm to the music. They danced a while before either of them spoke.

"My name is Nick, what is your name, ma’lady?" Nick asked.

"My name is Isabelle" she replied. "I am honored to be dancing with the prince."

"You looked kind of lonely sitting there by yourself, and your mask has me intrigued. Did you make it yourself" he asked her.

"Yes, your highness. I love to draw, paint, anything creative" she said.

"I gotta know, the girl behind the mask" Nick said to her.

He stopped dancing, took her by the hand. Looking around, he caught Brian’s eye. Brian knew Nick was making his early exit. But he wasn’t expecting to see him leave with a ladyfriend. Brian smiled to himself after he gave a nod of understanding.

After glancing around the room to make sure they could make their hasty departure unnoticed, Nick lead Isabelle through a maze of hallways. Finally reaching a doorway that lead outside, Nick headed for his favorite place on the beach. It was a small, cavelike area carved into the sea wall where no one would find them. He came here when he wanted to be alone with his thoughts and not be disturbed. He had found the hideout as a young child. He kept a blanket and a lantern there for when he visited his hideaway.

Lighting the lantern, but keeping the light low, he then took the blanket and spread it on the sand. Motioning for her to sit, she sat as gracefully as she could in her dress. Nick took his seat across from her. From there, they began to talk. They talked for hours into the night, all about their families, friends, plans for their futures. They talked for so long that the sun began to rise over the sea. After taking in the beautiful colors of the sunrise together, Isabelle announced that she really should be getting back before she got into real trouble with her family. Nick helped her up and then stood. Isabelle folded the blanket as Nick tended to the lantern. Putting the items back in their hiding places, they walked hand in hand back to the castle.

Fast forward 10 years...

They had just returned to their chambers after a long, jubilant coronation ceremony. It had a sad undertone to the event. Nick’s father had pasted away the week before. Nick is now the King...and Isabelle the Queen. Nick thought back on the night his father passed. The conversation still brought tears to his eyes. The pride he saw in his father’s eyes that night made Nick happier than he’d ever been.

"Nickolas, you are going to be a good King. You have a kind heart and will rule with it. And with Isabelle by your side, this country will thrive under your rule" the King had said. "I’m so happy you met a woman worthy of your love and is such a kind spirit. She’s your match in every way. I’d almost given up home on you my son."

"Well father, I HAD given up hope. Isabelle is a gift from God to me. She made me believe in the institution of marriage. I cherish her every day. I just hope to be as happy as you and Mother have been. And I hope to be as great a King as you someday." Nick replied.

"You will be. I know in my heart you will." the King said.

At that moment, William came bursting into the room and jumped up on the King’s bed. Quite rambunctious for a 5 year old, he reminded the King of his own son at that age. And he was the spitting image of his father also. Nick stood and scooped up his son. Holding him over his grandfather, Nick told the child to kiss and hug him. Afterwards, Nick delivered the boy to his mother and came back to his father’s side.

Taking Nick’s hand in his own, the King looked into his son’s eyes.

"Take care of your mother and you’re family. I couldn’t be more proud of you. I love you son." he said.

"I love you too Father" Nick said.

With that, the King became very still. Nick knew that his father was gone. It was now his turn to try to be as great as his father was. And with the knowledge and love his father had distilled in him, he knew he would make his father proud.

 

Someone made a montage video of the song. I LOVE this video. It must  have taken a long time and a LOT of patience to make this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbBTJvPxPxc

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10865