The Perfect Song:The Day Has Finally Come! by CarterFan28
Summary:

Epilogue


Wow, a lot has happened to Kalie and Heather. Kalie went through so many ups and downs while being Nick Carter’s best friend since childhood and finally becoming his fiancé. Heather went through one wicked dream! And then when they finally meet, they get locked out in a hurricane by complete nut jobs and unbelievably run full speed into each other and switch bodies. Now the girls are getting out of the hospital after that horrifying night and Kalie and Nick have to start wedding plans and Heather and Rich go on with their life together. But that would be a plain, boring fan fiction now would it? So of course there will be twists and turns along the way but I’ve said too much already. Enjoy the next story in the saga of Kalie and Heather; here’s The Perfect Song: The Day Has Finally Come!


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 33850 Read: 17279 Published: 06/27/13 Updated: 07/30/13

1. Chapter 1 by CarterFan28

2. Chapter 2 by CarterFan28

3. Chapter 3 by CarterFan28

4. Chapter 4 by CarterFan28

5. Chapter 5 by CarterFan28

6. Chapter 6 by CarterFan28

7. Chapter 7 by CarterFan28

8. Chapter 8 by CarterFan28

9. Chapter 9 by CarterFan28

10. Chapter 10 by CarterFan28

11. Chapter 11 by CarterFan28

12. Chapter 12 by CarterFan28

13. Chapter 13 by CarterFan28

14. Chapter 14 by CarterFan28

Chapter 1 by CarterFan28

Chapter 1 I’m Perfectly Fine

*Kalie's POV*

                It was two days after getting out of the hospital that we rescheduled the last concert of the tour for that upcoming Friday night. Everyone was concerned for Heather and I but we both assured them that we were fine. The doctors confirmed it too. Nick still clung to me and waited on me hand and foot practically. I'm not going to lie; it was starting to get annoying. Rich was worrying over Heather too but he wasn't as crazy as Nick. I watched as he helped her around. It was cute watching them. I could see the concern in his eyes but he wasn't asking her if she was ok every five minutes.

                Jen, the tour manager, confirmed the rescheduled show when we all were at dinner celebrating Heather and my survival. I was excited to finally perform the last concert mainly because I love to dance and I love watching Nick on stage but I also wanted this tour to be over so I could start some wedding planning with my fiancé. 

                He grabbed my hand and gave it a little squeeze when everyone was served their main course and started eating. I looked up at him before I dug into my tortellini. Nick looked into my eyes giving me that look that at first I thought was freaking adorable but now couldn't stand.

                "Are you sure you really want to go on with this show?"

                I gave out an exasperated sigh, "Nick, I know how much you care about me and I thank you for that but I'm perfectly fine!" My voice raised slightly and I was surprised nobody had noticed as everyone around us continued to carry on their own conversations. "Please just stop worrying about me so much. Yes I just lived my worst nightmare and the strangest thing happened to me out in that hurricane but it's over now. I'm back in my own body, I'm not hurt and I survived. Like I said I'm grateful that you are so worried over me but I am ok. It's starting to get really annoying Nick."

                I didn't look at him directly as I angrily stabbed my dinner with my fork but out of the corner of my eye I saw him hang his head and slowly pick up his knife and fork to cut into his steak. 

                We didn't talk to each other for a while and I focused on my dish. The tortellini was really good but I was too annoyed and pissed to look anywhere else, especially at Nick. I did look up after a while because I had a strange feeling someone was watching me. My eyes came up from my dinner to see that it was Heather, who was sitting directly across from me. She nodded her head toward the bathroom and I got up in response. She followed me and I just found it strange that no one seemed to notice. Even my best friends Michelle, Crystal, Dan and Chris were too occupied to ask where I was going. I guess they were just in deep conversation with each other or their food was way too good and commanded all their attention. To be honest it didn't bother me. I didn't want to make a scene. One person noticed though. I didn't have to look over my shoulder to know that Nick had watched me leave. I just know him way too well.

                Heather and I made ourselves look busy fixing our makeup and hair as we waited for the only other woman in the lady's room to finish washing her hands. Once she was gone Heather asked, "Alright, what's wrong? I didn't hear what you two said to each other, I only saw the pissed off look on your face and I knew something had to be wrong."

                I couldn't help but shake my head and let out a slight chuckle, "It amazes me to think that we have just met each other and it's like you have known me since we were young."

                "Yeah I know what you mean. Now what's wrong?"      

                “Nick.” I replied simply.

                She chuckled and shook her head, “I know that much. Care to explain what’s wrong with him?”

                Her mannerisms reminded me of Michelle’s. I quickly wondered why she and Crystal weren’t in the ladies room asking me what was wrong but I pushed that thought out of my head as my complaint about Nick—Whoa! Did I just put “complaint” and “Nick” in the same sentence?!—spilled out of my mouth in a rush of frustrated words.

                “He won’t leave me alone! Every two minutes, “Babe, are you ok? Kayl, are you ok? Are you sure you want to do the show tomorrow?” And I keep telling him I’m fine but he just won’t stop! I mean I love him and he has always been the one out of my group of friends to be the most concerned but now he’s just insane! It’s like I can’t take a deep breathe without him worrying about me. He’s becoming way too clingy!”

                Heather nodded her head, “I understand how it can get annoying. I wish Rich was like that.”

                “No you don’t. Trust me.”

                “Yeah I do. He just stands there most of the time just looking at me. Yeah he helps me even if I don’t ask for help but he never says anything.”

                “I wish Nick was like that.”

                “Then tell him that.”

                I looked at myself in the mirror and started nervously tweaking my hair.

                “Just be honest with him and everything will be fine. You didn’t majorly screw things over between you two.”

                I looked at her and grinned, “You really do know me way too well.”

                She grinned back at me and said, “C’mon let’s go finish our dinner.”

                When we got back to the table the waitress had just passed out the dessert menus.

                I glanced at the menu and thought about how good the cheesecake looked.

                “Do you want to split a slice of cheesecake with me?”

                I was shocked Nick was actually talking to me. I was pretty harsh to him.

                My eyes searched his face for a clue of how he was feeling as he continued to look at the menu. He never looked at me when I answered.

                “Sure.”

                Dessert was awkward. He and I took turns nibbling away at the cheesecake we ordered while our friends around us were being romantic feeding each other. We were at a pretty fancy, romantic place but it just upset me. I was being harsh and I wasn’t sure how I was going to apologize.

                When we got back to the hotel room that night we didn’t talk. We changed into our pjs, went into the bathroom and brushed our teeth at the sink together like we normally did but neither of us uttered a single word. It was strange, eerie.

                I got into bed first and watched as he flipped back the covers rather angrily and flicked off the light switch on the wall. He lay with his back toward me and he let out an angry sigh. I waited in the darkness for at least a minute hoping he would say something.

                Finally I reached over him to turn on the light on his bed side table. I could have easily turned on the light on my side but this made him roll over on his back and acknowledge that I had something to say.

                “I’m sorry I was harsh at dinner. It’s just that…” I hesitated arranging the thoughts in my head, “I know how much you care about me and how scared you were because I was terrified myself but it feels like you’re smothering me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to know that you truly care but asking if I’m ok every two minutes is a little excessive.” I hoped the tone in my voice was level and not harsh or sarcastic. “Please forgive me.”

                His face was expressionless but he leaned over and kissed my forehead then grabbed my left hand, “You’re forgiven. I’m sorry I got angry.”

                “No I’m the one who’s sorry about getting angry. I don’t know why I became such a bitch about you being concerned about me.”

                “But you’re right I got a little too concerned. It’s just that we’ve got a wedding to plan and I sort of need my bride-to-be to plan that wedding with,” he smiled playing with my engagement ring.

                I interlocked my fingers with his, “Trust me, I’ll be there. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

                His lips gently touched mine and I could feel a smile form on both of our lips as we kissed. I snuggled closer to him and his arms wrapped around my waist holding me close.

                “Good night, babe,” I whispered to him.

                “Good night, honey. I love you Kalie.”

                “I love you too Nick. Very much.”

                “Can you promise me one thing now that I’m promising you that I won’t suffocate you with concern from now on?”

                “What is Kaos?”

                “Promise me we won’t ever go to bed angry at each other ever again.”

                I placed my hand over his heart, “I promise.”

                “Good. Now seal it with a kiss please.”

                I giggled hearing the smile in his voice. Our lips met again in a sweet kiss before we fell asleep.

***Meanwhile, down the hall in Heather and Rich’s hotel room…***

*Heather’s POV*

                Rich and I stayed up a little late watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory; yah know, the good, old one starring Gene Wilder? (We both LOVE that movie!) We were snuggled under the covers and he wrapped his arms around me and basically rocked me like a baby as we watched the movie and sang along with the songs.

                During one of the commercials I grabbed his hand and said, “I really want to thank you for being so amazing through this whole situation and I’m sorry I made you jealous. I know how concerned you are but why are you so quiet?”

                He looked right back at me and let out a chuckle, “Because if I asked you how you were feeling every minute like Nick asks Kalie, you’d smack me by the third minute. You would hate me saying, “Vi, you ok? Vi, are you sure you’re alright?” over and over again.”  

                I nodded my head and let out a slight laugh, “Yeah I would go crazy and I would start hating my nickname and… I don’t want to hate my nickname because I finally got completely comfortable with you calling me that after Mom died…”

                Rich squeezed me tighter and kissed my forehead, “That’s why I stay quiet. I know when you need me, I can see it in your eyes and read your body language. I also know how much you miss her but I’m here to comfort you as best as I can.”     

                “I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you for being you and how well you know me, Rich.” I rested my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him as tightly as possible, “I love you so much.”

                He kissed my forehead again and started running his fingers through my hair, “And I love you so much Vi.”

Chapter 2 by CarterFan28

Chapter 2 Love Me Any Other Way

                “How are you feeling sis?” Stephanie said before hanging up the phone.

                “You know, you started off our conversation with that question and my answer hasn’t changed in the past ten minutes we’ve been talking,” I tried to remain calm. Rich was right, I can’t stand people fussing over me. “I’m fine Steph. Rich and I will be home tomorrow afternoon after we have breakfast with the rest of the tour crew. Don’t worry about me. You of all people should know how strong I am.”

                “And hard headed,” my sister commented with a laugh. “You are the only one I know who would sneak away and defy doctor’s orders to go horseback riding with a broken arm.”

                I chuckled remembering, “Hey I was going through that rebellious, teenage stage. Besides I only needed one hand to ride Cowpoke anyway.”         

                “It didn’t matter that Cowpoke was the best horse at the stable and you could ride him with one hand. You still could have fallen off and gotten hurt again. And how did you tack him up anyway?”

                “I rode him bareback and clipped lead ropes onto his halter. I didn’t need to tack him up.”

“You really are crazy, and hard headed.”              

                “But you wouldn’t love me any other way.”

                “This is true. I would think something was really wrong with you.”

                I laughed then sighed remembering Cowpoke, “You have to admit though that Cowpoke was the best gift from Mom before she was taken away.”

                “Yes he was.”

                “I’ve been thinking about her a lot lately, especially when I was in the hospital.”

                “I have been thinking about her too. It is that time of year,” Stephanie added gently.

                Heather nodded her head, “Yeah I know.”

                Stephanie took in a deep breath and quickly changed the subject, “Well the Pups are doing fine. They miss you so you better get home to them soon after your breakfast tomorrow.”

                “Tell them we will hit the road right after we pay the check. How were they for Brody when you left?”

                “They were good. Hunter was a little afraid and she wouldn’t leave his side while the storm was going on that night. But Brody didn’t mind it. You know how much my husband loves that beagle.”

                I chuckled, “Yeah and you know how much Hunter loves being with people and how much she hates storms.”  

                “I’m pretty sure you’re not a fan of storms after what happened either,” Stephanie winced after realizing what she had said. “I’m sorry. I was thinking out loud I should have kept that in the thought bubble.”

                “No you’re right, that storm really scared me,” I looked at Rich who had just grabbed my hand, “It scared a lot of people.”             

                Rich looked into my eyes then kissed my forehead. It was his way of telling me that he was scared too and he was glad to have me back. I smiled back at him. I loved the way Rich could say so much with so little words, actually with no words at all.

                “Well sis I have to get ready to go to lunch with the Backstreet Buds and then get ready for the concert. Tell Brody I said hello and thank him for taking care of the Puppies for me. And thank you too Steph.”

                “You’re welcome sister. Have fun tonight and let me know when you are on the way home tomorrow.”

                “I’ll call you when we are leaving. See you tomorrow.”

                “See ya sis.”

                A few hours later the last show of the This Is Us tour ended. It was bitter sweet but everyone was glad the show went off without any complications this time. Rich had a blast behind the DJ stand and the drums during the show and I loved the smile he wore as he was playing the drums. Backstreet performed at their highest level and the five Backstreet Buds and I agreed that this final show of the This Is Us tour was one of the best that they have ever seen, especially being in the front row right next to the stage.

                As the crowd was leaving, the Backstreet Buds and I snuck behind stage.

                The first person they saw was Rich. I ran up to him and jumped into his arms.

                “That show was amazing! You were great tonight babe!”

                He laughed as he embraced me, “Thanks honey. I’m glad you liked the show that much.”

                “I’m so happy that we got front row but I’m glad the tour is over.”

                “Why’s that?”

                “I get my boyfriend back! We can go back to our normal routine now.”

                “I cannot wait to go home tomorrow baby.”

                “Me either. Although I’m going to miss everyone I have met. I’ve made friends in the Backstreet Family. And wow I can’t believe I just said that!” I chuckled.

                “I can’t believe that either!” Jess chipped in.

                “Well we can always talk to them over the phone. It’s not like we’re going to go home and never talk to them again. Plus there will always be another tour,” Rich answered.

                “So wait,” I looked at my boyfriend a little skeptically, “Are you saying that you’ll be Backstreet’s DJ and drummer for future tours? Do you have a job with Backstreet?”

                He smiled widely, “They want me back for future tours. I do indeed have a job with Backstreet.”

                I full out screamed, “No way! That’s awesome Rich!”

                “Congrats!” the other Backstreet Buds said.

                “It was kind of up in the air when I got this job on tour. That’s why Heather couldn’t tell you guys in the beginning. I didn’t even tell her until it was confirmed that I would be working with them for the American leg of the tour,” Rich explained.

                “And we had no idea if they would want Rich back or not,” I mentioned. “Now you’re set with a great job you love! I’m so happy for you sweetheart!”

                “That’s not even the best part,” Rich said.

                “What do you mean?” Carly asked.

                Kelshie looked at him and counted on her fingers, “You are going to be either DJ-ing or playing the drums almost every night which you love to do, I imagine you are going to be paid pretty well so you and Hermie don’t have to worry about anything financially, and you would be able to tour the country and the world doing what you love to do. What more could you ask for?”

                “That and you could get us in to shows and backstage for free,” Carly interjected.

“Yes all of that does make this new job an awesome one but the greatest part is,” Rich paused for dramatic effect, “I will be on the writing and composing team for the next BSB CD!”

The Backstreet Buds’ jaws dropped.

“Are y-you serious?” I stammered.

Rich smiled widely and nodded his head. I jumped up and down as I let out another excited scream before vaulting myself back at him and hugging him tightly.

“I can’t believe this! You have always wanted this Rich! This has to be one of your biggest dreams to be on a writing team for artists like Backstreet! You don’t know how happy I am for you!”

He didn’t say anything. His only response was to squeeze his arms around my waist. I could tell he was excited too.

“Good for you Rich!” Jess said.

“Yes congratulations!” Melina smiled at him.

“I can’t wait to hear the songs you’re going to write!” Carly commented. “This is so cool! One of my good friends will be writing for the Backstreet Boys!”

“Hopefully my songs will make the CD cut,” Rich crossed his fingers.

“Oh they will,” Kelshie assured him. “You are very talented my friend.”

“Thank you all. I don’t know about you girls but I am tired and a hot shower is calling my name. How about we head across the street to the hotel?”

Everyone agreed and we headed toward the back entrance of the concert hall. As we were leaving we stopped by the BSB hang out room and said good night to the Boys and everyone else who was getting ready to either leave for home or go back to the hotel. We picked a time to go out to breakfast together so everyone could see each other one last time before catching flights to their homes.

                Later on that night as Rich andI were lying in bed we talked about Rich’s new job.

                “I’m so happy for you honey!” I squeezed my arms around his waist.

                “I’m a little worried about it though,” he admitted.

                I raised myself up so I could look in his eyes as he answered, “What are we going to do when I’m on tour? What if this job means that we won’t see a lot of each other anymore? What if it pushes us apart?”

                “Rich,” I nuzzled my face against his, “we survived when you went on this past tour. Yes I missed you but distance didn’t affect our relationship. And hey, I could always go on tour with you when school is out. That way I could still have my job and be with you. Besides it’s not like you will be on tour forever. You might be at the studio more often but we’ll make time for each other. It will be perfect. Everything will be perfect.”

*Rich’s POV*

                I kissed her forehead and thought, There’s only one more thing that would truly make very thing perfect.              

Chapter 3 by CarterFan28

Chapter 3 It Is Good To Be Home

                “You better keep in touch girl,” Kalie said as she hugged Heather before they parted ways after breakfast.

                “Oh trust me I will. And we’ll see each other again now that Rich is the new BSB DJ and drummer,” Heather replied.

                “How about this, you and I will hang out during concerts and if BSB records in New York City, we’ll have girl time,” Kalie smiled.

                Heather nodded her head, “I would like that.”

                “And of course the rest of the Backstreet Buds are more than welcome to join us. I had a good time with you all this weekend despite the craziness that happened.” Kalie saw Heather shiver slightly. The weekend was fun but no one expected Rich and Heather to fight and it was unimaginable that both Kalie and Heather would be locked outside during a hurricane by each other’s enemies.

                “Thanks,” Kelshie responded, “We had a good time too, before the storm.”

                The girls exchanged phone numbers and emails before giving one last hug good bye.

                “Oh and all of you expect a wedding invitation sometime in the near future. Now that Nick and I are finished with tour we can actually sit down and plan our wedding,” Kalie grinned as Nick came closer to the group of girls.

                “I have a feeling that’s going to be a fun wedding,” Jess commented.

                “It will be,” Nick answered. “We better get going Kayl. The van is ready to take us to the airport.” He turned to the girls and gave each one a hug and said, “It was really nice meeting you all and now that Rich is a part of the Backstreet Family, you guys are too.”

                The Backstreet Buds all looked at each other and squealed.

                “We’re a part of the Backstreet Family now!” Carly exclaimed.

                “I’m sorry,” Heather slightly blushed, “We just never thought this would happen, like ever! This whole weekend is just so surreal.”

                “You can say that again,” Rich, who followed Nick, said. “But we better get going too.”

                They said one final bye, you know how most girls take forever to say bye, and Rich and Nick shook hands.

                During the drive home, the Backstreet Buds sang along with Heather’s Backstreet Boys CDs and Rich joined in. There was practically no traffic which meant it only took 15 minutes  to get back to Heather’s house. Stephanie and Brody were in the front yard playing with Hunter, Lacey and Shep. The dogs heard the CRV first and ran to the edge of the lawn with their tails wagging and barking excitedly. As soon as Heather stepped out of the CRV Shep came bounding toward her followed by Lacey and Hunter. The husky, Lacey, and German shepherd, Shep, danced around Heather’s feet as Hunter, the beagle, jumped into her arms. She kissed each dog and scratched their ears. Then she greeted her sister and Brody thanking them once again for taking care of the Pups.

                “Come on Pups, we have to get the bags in the house,” Heather said putting Hunter down. Shep walked around to the back of the CRV as Rich was opening it so The Backstreet Buds could get their bags.

                He reached down and patted the dog, “Hey boy. Are you helping with the bags?”           

                Shep gave one quiet “woof” and wagged his tail in response. The hatch door of the CRV opened and Shep grabbed the handle to one of the duffle bags. The strong German shepherd dragged the bag out of the car and to the front steps. Lacey followed Shep’s example and grabbed another duffle bag. Hunter jumped into the front seat and grabbed Heather’s purse being the only thing the smaller beagle could actually carry.

                The Backstreet Buds laughed as they watched the dogs carry the bags to the front steps of Heather’s house.

                “I have never seen that before!” Melina exclaimed, “Did you teach them that?”

                “No actually,” Heather answered. “Shep watched me unload groceries one day and he just started doing what I was doing. Then Lacey and Hunter picked it up by watching Shep. They are the smartest dogs I have ever owned.”

                “That’s really cool,” Carly smiled petting Hunter.

                “Are you girls staying for the night?” Stephanie asked the Backstreet Buds.

                “Jess and I have to hit the road before traffic picks up,” Kelshie said.

                “My cousin will be picking me up shortly to go to the airport. She is coming home with me for a while,” Melina answered. “I wish I could stay longer in the United States but I am missing Germany.”  

                “You could always visit us again,” Carly replied.

                “And you can choose between four houses to stay at,” Kelshie agreed.

                “Plus if you do decide to move to the states I will have an opening for you at my hotel if you’d like,” Jess added in. Jess owned her own hotel and she and Melina had been talking for a while about the hotel business. It was true that Melina was contemplating moving to the states in the future and Jess was serious about hiring her if she did move.

                “I would like that a lot,” Melina nodded her head and smiled, “I appreciate it greatly.”

                Once Jess and Kelshie packed Kelshie’s car, they said their final see-you-laters before heading for home. (The Backstreet Buds never say good bye because good bye is final, like when someone dies or you are not sure if you are ever going to see that person again, see you later means that you will be seeing each other again soon.) Melina’s cousin pulled into Heather’s drive way just as Kelshie’s car drove out of site.

                As Melina and Heather hugged, Heather said, “Come back to visit soon bloodsis.” It was a nickname they had adopted a while back when they first become friends after finding out how much a like they were.

                “I will. I promise bloodsis,” she replied.         

                Carly stayed for dinner and just as dessert was being placed on the table, her boyfriend called saying he was finished with work and could pick her up. Just as Carly finished her last spoon full of ice cream, her boyfriend Andy knocked at the door. He said a quick hello to everyone then grabbed Carly’s bags as she said her see you laters.

                Stephanie and Brody stayed a little longer to talk about the events of the hurricane and Heather talked about that strange dream she had.

                Her sister chuckled after she recapped the dream about losing Rich only to find him again as he turned out to be Backstreet’s DJ and how in the dream, she was in a relationship with Nick Carter but had strong feelings for Rich as well and had to decide between the two.

                “Well, your dream is partially true,” Stephanie commented.

                Because they had lost contact when Rich was going through his struggles with drugs and alcohol abuse, Heather and his parents thought he did die. She hated to believe it and mourned his loss greatly but she saw it coming. She knew once she left for college and he started hanging out with his step sister Harper and dating her best friend Harlow, the Rich she grew up with and loved had changed drastically. Heather had come home for a holiday break and she found Rich sprawled out on her front door step one morning. She opened the door and almost hit him in the head with it. He looked up to her and pleaded, “Heather, help me.” He was coming off of a major high and he was close to dying of an over dose. She rushed him to the hospital still in shock that he was a live. He explained later that while he was high he couldn’t take being away from her anymore. He needed her and her help. She helped nurse him back to health and from there their friendship grew into love. It was always there and they had a secret relationship in high school but that experience made them truly fall in love.

                Heather was taken back to the present when her sister laughed, “But that part about you being in a relationship with Nick Carter, that’s just wishful thinking my dear. You better watch out Rich.”

                They laughed and Heather took Rich’s hand and squeezed it.

                Rich shook his head and smiled at his girlfriend, “I know it was only a dream.”

                “And I would choose Rich over Nick any day. I love him too much,” she looked at him with admiring eyes.

                “Awe!” Brody and Stephanie said together.

                “You two are just sickening sweet,” Brody said.

                “Thanks,” Rich replied, “We try our best.”           

                “Well we better get going,” Stephanie said. “I’m pretty sure you two will be more than happy to have the house to yourselves tonight once we leave. Welcome home sis and Rich.” She got up and hugged them both. Brody followed her lead and hugged Heather and shook hands with Rich.

                “Thanks again for taking care of everything you two. The Pups and I appreciate it,” Heather smiled.

                Once Stephanie and Brody left, Heather and Rich curled up on the couch with The Pups as they watched a movie they found on tv.

                “It’s so good to be home,” Rich commented. “And I’m sure after your ordeal you’re going to agree with me huh?”

                She rested her head against his shoulder, “It is good to be home.” 

Chapter 4 by CarterFan28

Chapter 4 Under A Florida Sunset

***Kalie’s Point of View***

                It took us two days to get back to Florida. Once Nick and I walked through the door my mom called on my cell phone.

                “She has perfect timing,” Nick chuckled.              

                “Hey Mom,” I answered putting my bags down. “What’s up?”

                “I just wanted to see how you are doing. Michelle called me and told me about your mishap in New York City. I tried calling you before but it went straight to your voice mail.”

                “I probably didn’t get any reception. We were traveling back to Florida.”

                “Where are you now?”

                “Nick and I just walked in the house actually.”   

                “Oh good! Welcome home baby. Would you like to come to dinner tonight? I’m pretty sure you don’t want to cook for yourself.”

                “Actually Nick and I are just going to relax tonight after we unpack and then go grocery shopping. Our fridge is barren. We both have laundry to do too. So thanks for the offer but we both want to just stay home tonight.” 

                “I understand. Will you be at Smith night tomorrow then?”         

                “Didn’t I miss Smith night for August?”

                “Nope. We are having it tomorrow night at Kim’s in hopes that you and Nick would be home.”

                I looked at Nick and asked, “Do you want to go to Smith night at Kim’s tomorrow?”

                “Sure. Why not.”

                “We’ll be there tomorrow,” I said to my mom.

                “Good. I’ll tell your sister for you. I will let you go unpack but before you hang up how are you feeling?”

                “I feel a little tired because I didn’t get a lot of sleep on the bus but other than that I am perfectly fine.”

                “I’m glad to hear. Again welcome home and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

                “See ya tomorrow.”

                Nick had finished bringing in our bags by the time I hung up my cell phone. We brought them into the laundry room and sorted out our clothes. Afterward we went grocery shopping and stocked up our fridge and picked up some ingredients to make dinner.

                After dinner, I grabbed an unused folder and pad of note paper and started writing out ideas for our wedding.

                “Honey,” I called out to Nick, “Where do you want to get married? And when?”

                “Isn’t it the bride’s decision?” he called back to me as he was washing the dishes.

                “For most couples, but I want this to be our wedding.  I would like your input on things.”

                “Honestly babe I don’t care if we get married in the back yard. I haven’t thought about any of this stuff because I didn’t believe in it until now. But I will say I want something a little out of the ordinary, like a destination wedding.”

                I tapped the pen I was using against my chin in thought, “I do like the sound of that. Maybe we can go to a tropical island and have the ceremony on the beach…”

                “At sunset,” Nick finished for me as he walked into the living room and sat next to me by the couch, “That would be quite romantic.”

                I grinned, “That would be quite romantic but totally expensive.”

                “So? I could pay for it.”

                “I don’t want you spending all your money on one wedding Nick.”

                “Kalie it’s not just one wedding, it’s our wedding.”          

                “Well what if our guests won’t be able to make it because it is a destination wedding?”

                “Then we just take those who can make it?”

                “What if they can’t afford to travel?”

                “Depending on who it is we are talking about I could pay for them too.”

                “I don’t know Nick. Tomorrow I’ll call Diangela’s daughter Lucy. She’s a wedding planner and she can help us out with everything. But for now how about we pick out who will be in our wedding party? Then we can work on our guest list.”

                “Ok. Who do you want as your bridesmaids?”

                “Kim, Michelle, Crystal, Lacey, and Katie.”

                Nick chuckled, “That was quick.”

                “I have been thinking about it since we left New York. Who do you want standing next you at the alter?”

                “Let’s see, I’m thinking Aaron, Chris, Dan Brian, and Rich.”

                “As in DJ Lani?”

                “Yeah. You are going to invite his girlfriend right?”

                “Of course I am. I wasn’t joking when I said I was going to.”

                From there we talked about who else we were going to invite to our wedding and we hit a snag when it came to Nick’s side of the family.

                “I know for a fact that my siblings will get along but I’m not sure about my parents. I sort of don’t feel like inviting them.”

                “Do they both know we are engaged?”

                “Yes. And they both said they were happy for us but that doesn’t mean they will behave at the wedding. For some reason my mom still starts shit when my dad’s around. I think she’s still jealous of my step mom.”

                “Do you want them there honey?”

                He shrugged, “At this point in time, I honestly don’t know. I have this bad feeling that my mother is going to say something and there will be a fight and then my siblings are going to get into it too and I really don’t want that happening.”

                “How about we talk to James about it tomorrow?”

                “James? As in Kim’s husband?”

                “Yes. His parents have gone through practically the same nasty divorce your parents have and he had to go through the same decision you have to. Sometimes it helps to get advice from someone who has lived through it.”         

                “You have a point there.”

                A little while later we finished our first draft of our guest list putting question marks next to Nick’s parents.

                “How about we take a break from the wedding planning for tonight and go get some ice cream? Maybe we can go to KJ’s and then sit on the dock like we used to.”

                “Sounds good to me.” I was starting on a few sketches of bridesmaids dresses and debating the color scheme of the entire wedding in my head. I was starting to go a little crazy with it and Nick could tell.

                The sun was just starting to set as we snacked on our ice cream cones. We sat at the edge of the dock by Nick’s boat and watched as the colors turned into beautiful shades of purple, pink and orange. Orange wasn’t my favorite color but I had to admit that the orange color of a Florida sunset was absolutely gorgeous, especially how it blended into shades of pink and finally into purple. Nick and I have watched a lot of sunsets together but we both agreed that nothing was more beautiful or romantic than the sunsets of home. An idea popped into my head.   

                “I wanted to do it here,” Nick said randomly.

                I chuckled, “Wanted to do what babe?”

                “Propose.”

                “Really?”

                “Yeah. I thought about it actually after I proposed. I came up with this whole speech when we watched that one sunset together on the bus the next night. And when you mentioned that there was no sunset prettier than the one we watched together after dumping the ashes of those pictures that you burned, I nearly kicked myself for not waiting and proposing here. And there is nothing more romantic than watching a Florida sunset with you. Plus I found it fitting to give you an engagement ring in the same spot that you dumped that broken promise ring seeing as how I will never break a promise to you.”

                “Well do you remember what you wanted to say?”

                “Yes I do.”

                “So,” I took off my ring, “Let’s pretend that you didn’t propose and pretend that you are proposing to me right now. I have no clue that you are proposing to me. Make it legit.”

                He took the ring from me and chuckled, “Ok then.”

                He put the ring in his pocket and began, “I wanted to bring you here tonight to give you a new ring. And I chose to bring you here because this is where we dumped the ashes of your past and started new with each other. We watched the sunset that night and it was one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen, besides you.”

                I smiled at the complement and after he let out a nervous laugh he continued, “So it’s here, at sunset, where we have laughed, cried and moved on from the past together, is where I want to ask…”

                He paused as he took out the engagement ring, “Will you marry me and just like the sunset we’re watching, put an end to the old and start anew?”

                A huge smile came across my face and I exclaimed, “Of course I’ll marry you!”

                I caught him by surprise as I grabbed him into an exuberant hug.

                My fiancé laughed as he slipped the ring back on my finger, “You’ve got some acting skills girl. It made it seem like you were saying yes all over again.”

                “I was,” I answered looking into his eyes.

                “What do you mean?”

                “It’s our one year anniversary today. I always kind of hoped that you would propose on our anniversary. It’s a girl thing I guess. You know, the hopeless romantic picturing the perfect engagement.”       

                “And I hit you with a proposal on a tour bus.”

                We both laughed and I grabbed his hand, “It was totally unexpected, which in all honesty I wouldn’t have had it any other way.”  

                “We’ll I’m glad you said yes. Both times.”

                “And I’m glad that you proposed. Both times.”

                We stole a sweet kiss then I said, “I have an idea Nick.”

                “What is it?”

                “How about we have the ceremony right here? Right here on this very dock. We can say our vows under a Florida sunset. Then we can party it up in the yacht club to celebrate with our friends and family. And we can start a new life together right here like you just said. It’s the place where the sunsets on an old day and rises again for a new one. It’s where our past rises into a grand new future together.”

                “I think it’s a perfect idea.”

                I took out my cell phone to take a picture of the perfect sunset before me. Nick, who always carries a camera, also took a picture and then we took a picture of us kissing with the sunset behind us.

                The next day I contacted Lucy, the daughter of my dance coach Diangela. I had known Lucy for a long time. She used to take dance lessons with me in her mother’s class. When she graduated college she quickly became known as one of the best wedding planners in Florida. Once Lucy heard it was me she practically raced over to the house to have a face to face appointment.

                “I am so happy for you!” Lucy greeted me when I opened the door. “Congratulations!”

                “Thank you Luce! This is my fiancé Nick.”

                They shook hands and Lucy said, “It’s nice to meet you Nick. And you have probably heard this a lot but you look a lot like Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys.”

                I answered for my humble fiancé, “That’s because he is.”

                “Oh wow! This is awesome! It’s going to be my first celebrity wedding! This is exciting!”

                The three of us sat down and talked for a while and discussed where we wanted to have the wedding.                

                “I have done a wedding on the beach there and I have pictures of it in my portfolio. Maybe that will help with some more ideas with the floral arrangements. And I have the number to the yacht club. How about we call them now and see what they have available in terms of a wedding date for you two?”

                I looked at Nick, “Do you have anything in mind?”

                “I was thinking about October when the sun starts to set a little earlier.”

                “October it is then,” I replied with a smile.           

                Lucy pulled out her planner to look up dates and before we knew it the ball really started to roll as ideas for our wedding slowly started to form into reality.

                Later that night at Kim’s, my family surprised me with a Smith style, and by Smith style I mean put together last minute, engagement party. My sister even invited my best friends, all six of them.

                After dinner all of the women gathered around in the kitchen and started talking about the wedding plans I had just put to paper a few hours earlier.

                “So,” Kim started, “Knowing you and how you always plan things way in advance how are wedding plans going?”

                “We actually sat down with our wedding planner today and picked a date and started talking about over all concepts. We don’t have anything set in stone yet except where we are having it and when.”

                “Give us details!” my oldest cousin Karen exclaimed.

                “Nick and I are going to be married on October 1, 2011. The ceremony will be on the dock where Nick keeps his boat and then the reception will be in the ball room of the yacht club. And we will be saying our vows as the sun is setting.”

                “Awe! How romantic!” Crystal swooned.

                “Have you picked anything else?” Mom asked. “Like bridesmaids?”

                “Actually all of my bridesmaids are in the room if they all say yes.”

                “Who?!” Katie asked.

                “Michelle, Crystal, Lacey, and Katie. Will you all be my bridesmaids?”     

                “Of course!” they all replied.

                “And Kim, will you be my matron of honor?”

                My sister came over and hugged me excitedly, “Of course I will!”

                “Well that was easier than I thought!”

                We all laughed then Michelle asked, “So what’s the color scheme?”

                “Let me guess,” Katie commented, “purple.”

                “That’s a part of it,” I nodded my head. I took out my cell phone and showed off the picture of the sunset that inspired my color scheme. “I think there is nothing prettier than a Florida sunset and I think these colors blend perfectly together.”          

                “I do like those colors together but you are not getting me into an orange dress,” Kim said.

                “Yeah no orange for me either Kayl,” Michelle agreed.

                “Trust me I wouldn’t put any of you in an orange dress. I was thinking more of a darker pink or a purple. But we have plenty of time to figure that out. I was thinking about having all of us go together to look and then too we can go shopping for my dress.”

                “Am I included in this?” my mom questioned.

                “Mom, of course you are. I want both you and Dad there.”

                “So when are we going dress shopping?” Lacey asked.

                “Well Nick and I don’t finish tour until March 26.”

                “I thought you were finished with tour.” Crystal commented.

                “Well we finished the American leg of tour. But we have a break until February. Tour starts up again February 18th, 2011 in Brazil, we will tour the rest of South America until March 10 and then we go to Central America and after that we have two show days in Vietnam. The last show is March 26th and we should be home by the 28th.”

                Kim pouted.

                “What’s that pout for sis?”

                “I thought you were home for good.”

                “Not quite yet. At least I have until February to relax and plan this wedding.”

***Nick’s POV***

                “So you finally did it huh son?” Mr. Smith patted my shoulder.

                “Yes I did and I’m glad I finally did. I was nervous as hell though.”

                “We all know that one,” Kyle responded looking around the room full of married men.

                “You have a date set already?” Kasey asked.

                “October 1st of next year. We’re having it at the yacht club.”

                A worried look came across Mr. Smith’s face.

                “Dad what’s wrong?” Kyle asked.

                “The yacht club is a little pricey. I’m not quite sure if I can afford that Nick.”

                “You don’t have to worry about it. I got it covered.”

                “But it is the bride’s family who is supposed to pay for the wedding.”

                “Mr. Smith…”

                “Dad or Papa Smith, please. I already consider you a member of this family Nick,” he interrupted me.

                “Dad,” it felt weird calling him that, “I don’t want you to worry about the cost of anything when it comes to this wedding. My money’s burning a hole in my pocket anyway.”

                “It’s my baby girl’s wedding though. At least let me pay for her dress.”

                I opened my mouth to decline but he beat me to it, “I am not going to argue Nick. I am paying for Kalie’s dress. No matter how much it is.”

                I nodded my head knowing I wasn’t going to win, “You can buy her dress but nothing else.”

                He chuckled, “Deal.”

                We shook hands then I changed the subject when James, Kim’s husband stepped in the room, “I have a question for you James.”

                “Ask away.”       

                “How did you decide to invite both of your parents to your wedding?”

                “I’m guessing your parents went through a nasty divorce too huh?”

                I nodded my head.

                “Well to tell you the truth I called both of them up when Kim and I started to plan our wedding. I threatened to kick them out of the wedding if they weren’t civil towards each other. They agreed and our wedding went off without a hitch or any drama.”

                “Speaking of drama,” Kasey spoke up, “Will there be any press coverage that day?”

                “I don’t want there to be but I honestly have to talk to my publicist and Kalie. We haven’t even discussed that yet and I haven’t even told my publicist that we are engaged. She doesn’t even know that Kalie and I have been dating for a year.”

                “I’m surprised that you have kept it a secret for this long. That’s impressive,” Mark said.

                “Yeah. She’s my best kept secret.”

                Kalie walked in a few seconds after I said that and said, “You ready to go home babe?”

                “I’m ready if you are.”

                She said her good nights and answered a few more questions about the wedding planning then we left for home.  On the way home we talked about how privet we wanted our wedding to be and we decided to not tell my publicist.                  

Chapter 5 by CarterFan28

Chapter 5 Picnic

*Back in New Jersey* *Heather’s Point of View*

                I woke up that Saturday to the smell of pancakes and scrambled eggs and the sound of Rich setting up a TV table right next to the bed.

                “Good morning sunshine,” he smiled at me when I rolled over.

                “Good morning babe. What’s with breakfast in bed?”

                “What I can’t be spontaneous and spoil my beautiful girlfriend?”

                I smirked as he sat down on the bed next to me, “Did you feed the Pups?”

                “Of course I did. They were hounding me as I was making our breakfast.”

                “Thank you.”

                “You’re welcome. How about after we eat we take them for a walk then we can go to Golden Breeze Ranch and go for a nice trail ride just you and me?”     

                “It sounds like a good idea. I definitely need my horse therapy.”              

                My mom grew up around horses so Stephanie and I did too. The three of us loved riding together. The feeling of riding a horse at full gallop with no restraints was so freeing. And just being around horses made me feel at ease and at home. My mom, sister and I called our time around horses “horse therapy” because if either of us were having a bad day spending time at Golden Breeze Ranch always made us feel better. When my mom passed away, I was at the ranch every day after school. At the time my sister and I shared a horse named Cowpoke. Mom had given him to us as a joint birthday present when I turned 16 and my sister turned 18. She and I had ridden Cowpoke before numerous times and we had fallen in love with him. It took Mom at least two years to save up enough money to buy him for us. Cowpoke was the best gift she had ever given both of us because if it weren’t for him, Steph and I wouldn’t be the same. He really did make us feel better when we were going through the toughest time in our lives. Cowpoke had passed away about 5 years ago at the age of 35. He was the oldest horse at Golden Breeze and he sired many babies. My favorite, who I helped train, was Bullseye and he still lived at Golden Breeze. I hoped that he wasn’t going to be used for a lesson that day or being used to herd the cattle at the neighboring farm. He took his father’s place as my favorite horse at the stables and I hadn’t ridden in a while. I really wanted to ride him.

                After we walked Shep, Lacey and Hunter, we brought them back home and grabbed our riding boots. In about half an hour we pulled into the ranch yard and I practically ran toward the office to see if my good friend Diane, who also owned the barn, was there. Instead I found the barn’s assistant manager Meg.

                “Hi Meg!” I smiled at her as I walked up to the desk.

                “Well fancy seeing you here Heather. Long time no see!” She got up from her chair behind the computer and gave me a hug.

                “I have been busy with school. We got a new superintendent and he is driving all of us teachers crazy.”

                “So you are here for some much needed and overdue horse therapy. Anyone you want to ride in particular?”

                “Do you know me at all Meg?”

                “Bullseye is in his stall waiting for ya,” she answered with a smile.

                “I need a horse for Rich too.”

                “Let me see here,” she looked at the list of horses that weren’t being used that day. “He can take Jazz.”

                “Thanks Meg! Oh and where’s Diane?”

                “I think she’s out on the trails with Samoya. You might see her when you are out there.”

                “Ok thanks Meg. I’ll see you later.”

                “Have a happy trial ride girl!”                                            

                I walked back out to the truck to find Rich just hanging up his cell phone. He looked a little suspicious when he saw me.

                “Who am I riding today?”

                “You have Jazz and I am riding Bullseye.”

                “Awesome! Let’s go hit the trails.”

                As soon as I walked into the second barn where both Jazz and Bullseye were stabled, I called out for Bullseye and he whinnied excitedly recognizing my voice. I went into his stall and groomed him and as usual he stood perfectly still for me.

                Once both horses were tacked up we led them out of the barn and we hit the trails.

                We rode around for at least an hour and a half when we came across Diane and Samoya.

                “Well look who we found Sammie,” Diane smiled in our direction and I nudged Bullseye into a jog and halted him right next to Samyoa so I could hug Diane from my saddle.

                “It’s so good to see you!”

                “It’s good to see you too Heather. Meg called and told me that you two were on the trails so I decided to give you two a picnic. It’s waiting for you right over there at the picnic table. You can just ground tie Jazz and Bullseye and they can graze while you two eat.”

                “Thank you Diane. You are welcome to join us.”

                “Thank you sweetheart but I have to get Samoya back to the barn and hose her down. She can’t take much more of this heat being pregnant.”

                “I didn’t know she’s pregnant!”

                “Yeah she’s not showing her weight yet but she will soon. Enjoy your picnic and I will see you two back at the barn.”

                She walked Samoya up to Jazz and smiled at Rich. She leaned over in her saddle and whispered into his ear.

                Once she and Samoya jogged off I smiled at Rich and raised my eyebrow inquisitively, “What was that about?”

                “Nothing,” he replied as he dismounted and ground tied Jazz.

                I jumped off of Bullseye and he dropped his head to graze.

                Rich spread out the blanket and I brought over the basket. We sat next to each other as we munched on the chicken salad sandwiches that Diane made and the honey mustard pretzels that I loved to snack on. We gazed out at the river that cut in front of us that flowed into the lake at the bottom of the hill. A few deer came out of the woods to take a drink at the lake and pretty birds were flying in between the trees. The wildflowers were in full bloom and the purples, pinks, reds, yellows, and blues were the most vibrant I had seen in a long time. It was so serene and peaceful. The scene in front of us was just perfect.

                “Yay! Diane packed twizzlers! My favorite! Man she does know me too well. This is like the best lunch right here.”

                Diane was a dear and longtime friend of my mom’s. She has known me ever since I was born and when my mom passed she became like a second mother to me and my sister. She loved the two of us like we were her own.

                “That’s because I had asked her to make it perfect.”

                “What do you mean?” I bit into a twizzler.

                “Look in the bottom of the basket under the liner.”

                I stuck the rest of the half eaten twizzler in my mouth with part of it hanging out as I looked where Rich had told me to look.

                As I looked he said, “I brought you here to ask…”

                I pulled out a small velvet box and opened it to find a beautiful diamond ring with a row of amethysts on either side of the diamond.

                My eyes went wide and I looked at my boyfriend.

                He chuckled slightly and continued, “Will you marry me?”

                My mouth dropped open and I blinked as the twizzler in my mouth dropped to the ground.

                Rich chuckled again and said, “Vi?”

                “Of course I will!” I flung my arms around him in a very excited hug then looked at him and crashed my lips onto his. He slipped the ring onto my finger as I rambled, “Holy crap! I was not expecting this at all!”

                “I have to admit that I did have this planned for a while but I was just too chicken to ask until the storm and the accident. I never want to lose you again, until death do us part.”              

                “Holy crap Rich! I just can’t believe it! We’re engaged!”    

                In a few minutes we packed the picnic basket back up and rode happily hand in hand back to the stables. We were greeted by Meg, Diane and my sister, who I was not expecting at all.

                “She said yes!” Rich announced when we got close enough for them to hear.

                They all squealed and Steph ran up to me when I dismounted Bullseye.

                “I am so excited for you!” She flung her arms around me and squeezed me. “Let’s see the ring!”

                I showed off my left hand and Diane and Meg crowded around me too admiring my engagement ring.

                “It’s beautiful! Nice taste Rich,” Diane commented.

                “This was totally unexpected,” I said as Rich stood next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. “And I definitely was not expecting you to be here sis.”

                “Rich asked me for your hand and he told me all about this plan. He had it planned out for weeks.”

                “And Meg and I knew all about it too,” Diane added in.

                “Like I said I did not expect this at all and it was just perfect!”

                My new fiancé kissed my forehead then we took care of the horses we rode.

                When we got back to the house I quickly went on skype and found that all four of my Backstreet Buds were able to talk so I invited them all to a group chat.

                Once we were all connected I said to my friends, “Look what I just got today!”

                I put my hand with the gleaming engagement ring up to the camera.

                “Ooh that’s pretty!” Jess commented.

                “Thank you,” I said with a huge smile on my face.

                “Wait Hermie,” Kelshie said, “Is that an engagement ring?”

                I nodded my head excitedly.     

                My Backstreet Buds screamed and I laughed.

                “Holy crap!” Kelshie commented, “I did not see that coming!”

                “Neither did I!” Jess agreed. “But it’s so exciting.”

                “I’m so happy for you!” Carly replied.

                “Congratulations!” Melina exclaimed.

                “Thank you! I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow. Rich and I are going out to dinner to celebrate.”

                “Congrats again!” my Backstreet Buds said again before we said our see –you-laters.

                Just as I was about to disconnect from Skype my Uncle David sent me a request to talk.

                I answered with an exuberant, “Uncle David! I was just about to call you over the phone! Perfect timing.”

                “Hello sweetie! You seem excited to speak to me.”

                “I am always excited to talk to you Uncle Dave.”

                “Well you seem very excited hon.”

                “I do have good news for you.”

                “Oh really now? I have good news for you too.”

                “You start.”

                “I was going to surprise you by just showing up at your door one night but I decided against it. But anyway I am coming to visit for at least a month!”

                I let out a squeal and clapped my hands as I always do when I get excited. Uncle David and I are very close and he’s not even my blood uncle. My mom had known him ever since middle school and had been best friends ever since. Stephanie and I had grown up calling him “uncle” and we never grew out of it. He loved and still does love us like his own daughters and has always been there for us, even when he moved out to California. When Mom’s health was starting to fail while in the mental hospital, Uncle Dave basically dropped everything he was doing in California and flew back home to take care of us. When it was time for me to go to college, he helped me pay for it and I moved in with him while I went to school. He was the only father figure Steph and I had known. Some people say that the relationship between Uncle Dav and my mom is what split my parents up in the first place, but that wasn’t true. Yes they did spend a lot of time together but there was no romance between the two of them. Uncle Dave is gay.

                “So what is it you need to tell me?!” Uncle Dave urged.

                “Well, I was wondering if you would like to help me plan a wedding seeing as how you have your own show about wedding planning,” I played coy. And oh yeah my uncle is actually David Tutera. If you don’t know who he is look him up.

                “Whose wedding?” he questioned.

                I held up my hand and couldn’t hold my grin any longer, “Mine.”

                Uncle Dave’s jaw dropped, “Oh my God! Heather! You have to be kidding me! Holy crap! I don’t know what to say! I want to reach through this screen and engulf you in a huge bear hug and jump around with you and scream! Oh my God! Of course I will plan your wedding! Oh honey this is way too exciting! When was the question popped?”

                “This afternoon during a picnic at Golden Breeze Ranch. It was about an hour ago.”

                “It sounds romantic. And who’s the lucky guy?!”

                “Who else do you think Uncle Dav? Rich Lani,” I chuckled.

                “Is he there now?”

                “I’m right here,” Rich came and sat by me.

                “Congratulations young man, but Rich, I must say you are very lucky. And I’m warning you now, you better treat my little Heather right or I’m going to personally beat you up.”

                I chuckled at my uncle who was giving his “serious” face and pointing his finger at my fiancé. I shook my head which made Uncle Dave’s finger point to me, “Oh don’t chuckle at me and shake your head missy I’m serious.” He turned back to Rich, “She may not be my niece by blood but I sure as hell treat her like she is. Hell I treat her like she’s my daughter.”

                Rich put his arm around me, “Trust me sir. I know how special she is.”

                “Good, and keep remembering that. I will admit that from what I have heard about you and the little chats that Heather and I have had about you and from what I can remember of you as a kid, I like you and I give you all the credit in the world for becoming sober again, but don’t do anything to make me not like you anymore and do not hurt my Heather. I promise I will hurt you if you do.”

                Rich looked at me and smiled then looked back at Uncle Dave, “I would never hurt her. I love her too much.”

                I saw Uncle Dave ease up with Rich’s last statement and a grin cracked across his lips, “Good. I might be coming off as a bitch right now but I am so happy for you two. I can see the excitement and love in both of your eyes and I cannot wait to plan this wedding. It’s going to be so much fun!”

                “And I can’t wait to see you Uncle Dave!”

                “I’ll be there next week sweetheart.”

                “And if I might add, I look forward to meeting you sir,” Rich said cordially.

                “Oh you’re a sweet talker aren’t you? But I too look forward to getting to know you better Rich.”

                “I’ll see you in a week Uncle Dave!” I blew him a kiss and he returned the favor.

                “I’ll be counting the minutes my love!”

                We ended our skype call and Rich and I got ready to go out to dinner.

                He made reservations for the fanciest restaurant in town so I slipped on a dress that I loved to wear. It was a simple halter top that starts as a medium blue then gradually darkens to a midnight blue and it hugged my curves in all the right places. To put it plainly I thought I looked smokin’ hot in that dress. And I didn’t feel that way too often. Rich cleaned up nicely in a gray suit and light blue shirt that offset his eyes brilliantly. He smiled widely at me when I walked out of the bathroom when I was finished getting my make up on and said, “You look gorgeous. I love that dress on you.”

                “Thank you honey. You clean up nicely yourself.”

                We held hands as we walked out to the car and Rich drove one handed so we could continue to hold each other’s happy grip. We didn’t say much over dinner except how excited and happy we both were and about how good the other looked in the candle light.           

                I kept thinking about how perfect the day was and how perfect the dinner was and just how perfect Rich was for me. I truly couldn’t wait for our future together.  

Chapter 6 by CarterFan28

Chapter 6 An Important Video

                Exactly a week later Uncle Dave showed up at my front door.

                I answered the door and he greeted me with an exuberant, “Hi!”

                “Why didn’t you call me? I could have picked you up from the airport!”

                “I didn’t want to impose my dear, well I mean any more than I am already imposing. I am staying here for a month… or more…”

                I chuckled, “Uncle Dave you are not imposing. Come on in and make yourself at home.”

                “Don’t mind if I do but first let me see the ring!”

                He took my left hand in his own and marveled at my engagement ring.

                “Rich has good taste doesn’t he?”

                “Oh honey, he just knows you way too well! The diamond is cut perfectly and the amethysts to offset the diamond, simply perfect for you! I will say that he has good taste in women too.”

                I blushed a little, “Oh stop it Uncle Dave. You’re just saying that because you love me.”    

                “The fact that I love you does play a part in it but it’s the truth. You are some catch Heather. And besides have I ever lied to you?”

                “No you haven’t Uncle Dave. Come on in.”

                Uncle Dave grabbed his bags and walked into the house, “Where are The Pups? I didn’t get my usual exuberant greeting from Lacey, Hunter and Shep.”

                “They are in the back yard with Rich. We are enjoying the gorgeous day and grilling up some lunch.” 

                “I do have perfect timing don’t I? I’m starving.”

                I showed him into the guest bedroom and then out to the back yard. Once The Pups saw him, they bounded to him with wagging tails and happy barks. He introduced himself to Rich with a hardy handshake and then we all sat down to lunch and talked for a few hours. Later on as Rich was making dinner, Uncle Dave and I sat down and started on some wedding plans.

                “So the first thing we have to figure out is when do you want to get married?”

                “Do you have any ideas babe?” I asked Rich.

                He responded over his shoulder, “Whatever is going to make you happy is going to make me happy honey.”

                Uncle Dave chuckled, “Good answer Rich.”

                “ But I would like you to be a part of the plans babe.”

                “Remember how I tried, and the key word there is tried, to plan and throw that surprise party for you and how horribly that ended up? I’ll leave the wedding planning to you.”

                “But it’s going to be our day. I can’t plan it by myself.”   

                He chuckled, “Your uncle is sitting right next to you and he plans weddings for celebrities. You are not going to plan this wedding by yourself.”

                “Oh here we go,” my uncle said rather dramatically. Then he took my hand, “Sweetheart,  Rich has given you full rein here. Now tell me, what is your dream wedding?”

                “I always kind of dreamed about having it at Golden Breeze Ranch during the spring while the wildflowers were blooming. I always saw Kelshie, Jess, Carly and Steph standing in pretty purple dresses right next to me as my bridesmaids. I have always wanted Diane to be the one to head the ceremony as justice of the peace because let’s face it, I have never been a church goer. My dress would be simple but elegant, nothing too over the top, accented by a bouquet of wildflowers, a mix of pinks, yellows, blues, but mainly purple obviously. And to top it off after the ceremony my handsome groom and I would ride off into the sunset on Bullseye and then we would party it up with our guests until the wee hours of the morning.”

                “Heather,” Uncle Dave looked in my eyes and smiled, “You’re dreams are about to come true.”               

                I smiled back and right before my eyes he set up a date with Diane for my wedding. He had dialed her number so quickly and talked so fast to Diane that I was in disbelief when he asked me, “Is April 16th, 2011 a good date for the both of you?”

                He looked at me then at Rich. I looked at Rich and he nodded, “Sounds good to me. Heather are you good with that too?”    

                I shook myself out of the daze I was in, “Yeah that’s good with me.”      

                “Perfect! Thank you so much Diane! I will talk to you more when we have more ideas and hopefully I can get over to Golden Breeze to ride and we can catch up on a few things besides the wedding. Alright doll I’ll talk to you soon. Buh-bye.” Uncle Dave got off the phone and he looked at me and giggled at the look on my face, “You’re zoning out honey.”

                Rich came and sat down by me and I looked at him in disbelief, “That’s because I can’t believe Rich and I are actually going to get married in a matter of months!”     

                “I can’t believe it either baby,” he kissed my forehead then smiled, “I don’t know about you but I know my dream is coming true. You and I are going to live happily together for the rest of our lives.”

                I looked him in the eyes again and replied, “I forgot to mention that you were the handsome groom I would ride into the sunset with. You always have been my dream Rich.”

                “Oh my gosh! Stop it, you two are too cute!” Uncle Dave exclaimed.

                After dinner Uncle Dave said, “Heather I have something to show you. I just hope it still works because it is very old. And just so the three of us are prepared for the tears that I am sure are going to follow this video, it’s another video from your mom.”

                He set up the VCR and Rich and I curled up on the coach together. I grabbed his hand preparing myself for what I was about to witness.

                My mom knew she was dying and before she did, she made my sister and I all of these videos for critical times in our lives. She gave both of us some of them and made us promise not to watch them until we reached those times in our lives. We didn’t know that she had given the very important ones to Uncle Dave who filmed all of them.

                When he finished setting up the VCR he grabbed the remote and sat on my opposite side. He took my hand and asked, “Are you ready?”

                I had already seen the videos that she made for my high school graduation, being both rejected and accepted into college(s), graduating from college, landing my first job, having relationship troubles, major birthdays and one generic one that she sings and says how proud of me she is, and each and every time I watched one of her videos I cried. I miss her so much and Uncle Dave and Rich both know that.

                I nodded my head and Uncle Dave pressed play.

                My mom’s smiling face came onto the screen and I felt my heart flutter, “Heather, my dearest Heather. Now that you are watching this you have just gotten engaged! I am so happy for you! I always knew Rich would steal your heart.”

                People always said that my mom could see the future. I believed it for the most part but I also knew that my mom had the unbelievable ability to read people and her guesses were just lucky for the most part.

                “You ask how I know it’s Rich sitting next to you now? Well it’s a mother’s intuition and if it’s not Rich well then you are watching the wrong video and you need to yell at Uncle Dave for me.”

                The three of us chuckled along with Mom on the screen.

                “Well kiddo I really am happy for you. I trust that your sister will be your maid of honor and your Backstreet Buds will be your bridesmaids but don’t let me decide for you. Do what will make you happy. The wedding planning will probably be slightly stressful but knowing Uncle Dave he will have it all under control. And just remember it’ll be your day, make it into what you want it to be. I know you will be a beautiful bride. I just wish I could be there to see. And if you are getting married before your sister, don’t rub it in her face too much because I am giving her permission to firmly tell you to stop. I can’t have her beating up the bride to be. And Rich, I know you don’t have a mean bone in your body but just remember, treat my baby right or I’ll come back to haunt you.”

                Then we heard Uncle Dave chuckle on the video and say, “Well if that’s not a threat then I don’t know what is Avery.”

                Again we all chuckled and so did my mom.

                “Anyway, Rich, congratulations on winning the best prize in the world, my daughter’s heart and welcome to the family. I love you with all of my heart my Violet. Remember to keep me in your heart and I will always be with you.” My mom blew a kiss then pressed her hand against the screen like she always did at the end of her videos. I did the same with tears rolling down my cheeks before the video stopped.

                Rich kissed my forehead to comfort me and rubbed his hand up and down my back.

                I looked at Uncle Dave who wiped a few tears from his own eyes, “Heather, I have to tell you that I was a mess when your mother and I taped that video and then we taped one for your sister that same day. Talk about both of us being emotional!”

                The three of us let out another slight laugh as Uncle Dave and I wiped away tears.

                “Heather, I know you know how much she loved you, and she still does, and we both know that she is watching over the both of us and she really is extremely happy for you right now. So come on, let’s stop these tears,” Uncle Dave gently wiped my cheek dry then continued, “We have a wedding to plan!” 

Chapter 7 by CarterFan28

Chapter 7 Finally Coming Together

                The weeks seemed to fly by with Uncle Dave and right in front of Rich and my eyes our wedding was planned. Before we knew it I was going back to my job of teaching music at the high school, Rich was getting ready to go back on tour with Backstreet to finish the European leg of the This Is Us tour, and Uncle Dave was getting ready to go back to California to return to his job planning weddings for celebrities and filming his TV show. The day before he left though my best friends, sister and I went dress shopping with him.               

                The last Friday night Uncle Dave staid with us, Stephanie, Jess, Kelshie, and Carly all came over for an impromptu engagement party and all I can say about that was there was a lot of drinks, food, and laughter. We even were able to chat with Melina for a little bit on Skype and she happily agreed to be my bridesmaid along with Carly, Jess and Kelshie.

                “The timing for your wedding is perfect Heather! I will be moving to the states the month before and working in Jess’s hotel!” Melina exclaimed.

                “No way! That’s awesome! I didn’t know you were moving here!” I responded.

                “I have always wanted to live in the states so I decided to try it out for a little bit at least.”

                “When did you decide this?”

                “A few months ago,” Jess replied.

                “And you didn’t tell me?!” I said in mock shock.

                “We wanted to surprise you when she actually moved out here but we weren’t planning on Rich proposing,” shrugged Jess.

                “Well now I am even more excited! This is going to be so much fun! I wish you were here to go dress shopping with us tomorrow though,” I pouted.

                “Go out and get whatever dress you like best. You are the bride and I will wear whatever you want me too,” she smiled back.

                “I promise I won’t pick a hideous dress.”              

                “Oh honey I won’t let you pick a hideous dress!” Uncle Dave nearly screamed.

                The room was filled with laughs before we said good night (or good rest of the day because of the time change) to Melina.

                The next morning Rich made everyone pancakes for breakfast then we left him and the Pups at home while the rest of us went dress shopping after Diane came to pick us  up with her SUV.  

                “So where are we going for the dresses?” Kelshie asked.

                “Do you remember Shawna’s Bridal Shop?” I asked.

                “Yes the one on the Boulevard?” Jess questioned.

                “Yeah. I figured we could check that place out at first and then hit David’s Bridal if we can’t find anything.”

                “But those places are so bland and boring!” Uncle Dave said dramatically, “I’m taking you girls to New York and Heather you are getting one of my bridal gowns.”

                “They are gorgeous dresses but I can’t afford one Uncle Dave, even with Stephanie’s help.” My sister said that she would help Rich and I pay for the wedding. So did Rich’s parents but I couldn’t ask them to pay so much for a dress I would only wear once.

                “Honey,” Uncle Dave looked at me before he sat in the passenger seat, “I’m the freaking designer! I’m not going to promise you that I can get you a dress for free but I can get one discounted. Besides it has been my dream to see you and your sister walk down the aisle in one of my dresses and well since your sister decided to get married at the court house and wear a summer dress all hope is lost on her and you are the one left to fulfill my dream.”

                I chuckled at him and Steph said, “You never told me that you wanted to see me in one of your dresses! I would’ve worn one just for you!”

                “No you wouldn’t. I know you too well Stephanie Lee. I know you never wanted the grandiose white wedding. But Heather, I know you always have.”

                “It’s true and I would be honored to wear one of your dresses, but can we at least take a look in the first two places and then we can go to New York to look at your dresses? Ok?” I gave Uncle Dave my puppy dog eyes that I knew he couldn’t resist.

                “Ok. You are the bride after all.”

                We first stopped at the family owned bridal store in my hometown  but the only one who found a dress was Diane, my honorary mother-of-the-bride. She got a very pretty lavender, tea length dress that she looked absolutely gorgeous in.                 We moved on to David’s Bridal and after looking at three different bridesmaids dresses, we finally agreed on a violet a-line dress with a straight, sleeveless top line, and a brooch on the side. It fit each of my bridesmaids perfectly and I loved the color. I searched through the entire store for my bridal gown and tried on three of them that I thought I liked but none of them made me feel like the bride I dreamed I would be.

                “I’m ready to go to New York Uncle Dave,” I said rather disappointedly.

                “Oh honey don’t be discouraged,” he wrapped his arms around me and gave me a warm hug, “I promise you that we will find you the perfect dress today. You have my word.”

                We stepped into the bridal shop in New York City and I felt my jaw drop as I looked around the three story building filled with wedding dresses and the luxurious waiting and dressing areas. After getting all of our formalities with the bridal shop owners and other people Uncle Dave knew there he announced as the rest of us sat down on the comfortable couches, “Today consider yourselves to be on an episode of My Fair Wedding because this appointment is going to be set up just like it is in the show. I will pick out three dresses that I think the bride will fall in love with and at the end of the appointment the bride will finally have her dress.”

                I was led into a dressing room where the head bridal consultant helped me try on the dresses Uncle Dave picked out for me.

                The first dress was a little too over the top for my taste and everyone laughed at the look on my face when I stepped out to the waiting area in front of my entourage.

                “David what were you thinking with that dress?” Diane scolded.              

                “Ok dress number one is out,” Uncle Dave laughed.

                The second dress was too plain and I was starting to feel like I was never going to find my dress.   

                “It’s pretty and the shape fits you well but you want something a little more, don’t you?” Stephanie asked.

                I nodded my head and tried to hide my disappointment.

                “Oh honey,” Uncle Dave came up to me and cupped my face with his hands, “I promised you we will find your dress today and I am not going to stop until we do find it. There is a whole store of dresses and you still have one more dress in round one to try on. Now go try on the third dress and if you don’t fall in love with it then we’ll go to round two ok?”

                I grinned at him and nodded my head, “Thanks Uncle Dave.”

                “It’s my pleasure sweetheart.”

                I walked back to the dressing room to try on the third dress. I looked at it on the hanger and thought, This is really pretty! And then I looked at the price tag, Crap that’s really expensive. I felt my heart sink in my chest.

                There was no mirror in the changing room so I had no idea how the dress looked on me until I stepped out to the waiting area.

                I was greeted with a chorus of, “Wow!”, “You look beauty!”, “That is such a pretty dress!” , “Heather that dress is perfect!”

                Before I looked at myself in the mirror, I looked at my sister, Diane, and my uncle. They each had a little glimmer in their eyes and the start of tears.

                I slowly turned around to face the mirror and my eyes went wide at the image I saw. The dress was absolutely beautiful! The fitted, full length gown with the soft net skirt, and sweetheart bodice accented with beading was exactly what I wanted. I felt gorgeous in it. I couldn’t say a single word even though I heard Uncle Dave ask, “I’m guessing the silence is a good thing Heather?”

                I was about to answer him but what felt like a thousand emoticons came rushing to me making me weep.

                “Sis what’s wrong?” Stephanie asked.

                “This dress is gorgeous but I can’t afford it, and I’m just so happy that all of you are here to share this experience with me but I really miss Mom!” I sobbed.

                Stephanie came up to me and placed her hand on my shoulder, “I miss her too.”

                Diane engulfed me in a big hug, “Honey, I am so happy to be here with you right now but your mom is here also. She’s looking down at you right now and smiling. You look beautiful in this dress.” Her eyes sparkled with a mix of happy and sad tears. Diane had basically adopted Stephanie and I when our mom passed away and the year prior she lost her own daughter Melissa, who was my age, in a car accident. Diane loved Stephanie and me like we were her own. I knew she always wanted to watch Melissa grow up and have her be the one looking for a wedding dress but in a way I was kind of filling Melissa’s place and Diane was filling Mom’s. Melissa and I were good friends and a lot of the time people confused the two of us because we looked alike.  

                “I love it but it’s too expensive. I could never afford it but I could never ask Rich, or his parents, or you, or Steph to help me pay for it. And I hate being emotional!”

                Uncle Dave took a hold of my hand and with his other one wiped tears from my eyes. He smiled as he looked into my eyes, “It’s ok to be emotional. Look at me I’m tearing too for crying out loud.”

                I chuckled, “But Uncle Dave you have always been a cry baby.”

                He grinned widely, “That’s beside the point. Now let me ask, how much do you like this dress?”

                “I’m in love with it. It’s absolutely gorgeous Uncle Dave. It’s everything I have ever dreamed of.”

                “How does it make you feel?”

                “I feel…beautiful in it.”

                “Is it your dream dress?”

                I wiped another tear off of my cheek and answered, “This is my dream dress Uncle Dave.”

                “Then consider the dress as my wedding present.”

                “But you are already planning the wedding for nothing! I can’t let you buy the…”

                “Stop right there,” he interrupted me. “Heather, you know that I love you dearly and that I will do anything to make you happy and you are happy in this dress! Let me pay for it so you can be the beautiful bride you have always wanted to be.”

                I squeezed his hand and replied, “Uncle Dave you are the best. I don’t know how to thank you enough!”

                “So does that mean that this is your dress?” Stephanie asked.

                “Yes, this is my dress,” I smiled my response turning to my sister.

                The room exploded with excited shouts. I then looked at Uncle Dave again and asked, “Can I ask you for one more favor?”

                “Of course my dear.”    

                “Since Mom isn’t with us to do it, and Diane is going to be the one to marry Rich and I, will you walk me down the aisle?” I could see tears forming in his eyes and his lip start to quiver as I continued, “You have always been the father figure in my life and I could never ask for or imagine a better one. So will you do it?”

                Tears escaped his eyes as he exclaimed, “Heather, baby girl, I would be honored to walk you down the aisle!”

                I flung my arms around him and we held the embrace for a few seconds until our tears stopped.

                The next day Stephanie and I drove Uncle Dave to the airport and Diane and my friends all went home to prepare for their weekly routines. When I got back home and had dinner with Rich, my sister and her husband I still couldn’t believe that my wedding was practically all planned and I had just found my dress.  This whole wedding thing was finally coming together.      

Chapter 8 by CarterFan28

Chapter 8 Sticking To Tradition

*Kalie’s POV*

                The wedding planning was going surprisingly well, and way too quickly. Before I knew it the small break BSB had before the last leg of the This Is Us Tour was almost over and it was finally the day I had set aside for dress shopping.

                “You have a big day ahead of you don’t you baby?” Nick asked as we sat down to breakfast together. “Are you excited?”

                I nodded my head, “I am. I’m just worried that I’m not going to find a dress today. I really want to get it now that way I’m not scrambling to get it when we come back from tour. But I think the toughest thing will be the bridesmaids dresses. I don’t think it’s going to happen but I don’t want a fight breaking between my maids.”

                “Just remember that you are the bride and it’s going to be your day. So if you need to put your foot down then do so.”

                I laughed at him.

                He chuckled, “I can’t help it. I have watched way too many wedding shows with you lately.”

                It was true. Ever since we started thinking about plans for the wedding, the only thing we watched, for the most part, were wedding shows. Let me tell you it helped with getting an idea of what dresses I liked and absolutely hated. And they gave me some great ideas for our wedding.

                Shortly after we finished breakfast and I got dressed, my parents, sister Kim, and cousin Katie came to pick me up. Michelle and Crystal were meeting us at the bridal shop Lucy recommended.

                “So you definitely aren’t letting me tag along huh?” Nick asked.

                “You’re saying you actually want to come see me try on dresses?”

                “Sort of…”

                I giggled, “Don’t you want to be surprised though?”

                He shrugged, “I guess so. Good luck finding your dress baby. I know you are going to look beautiful in whatever you get.”

                “Awe thanks honey.” I smiled at him before stealing a quick peak on the lips.

                Michelle and Crystal greeted me excitedly when we met up in the parking lot.

                “I cannot wait for this!” Crystal exclaimed.

                “I’m nervous,” I replied.

                “Why are you nervous?” Michelle asked.

                “I just really want to find the dresses today. And I don’t want to fight over the maids’ dresses either.”

                “We didn’t fight over the dresses at either of our weddings what makes you think we are going to start fighting now?” Michelle asked referring to her and Crystal’s weddings.

                “I don’t know. You know how much of a worry wart I can be.”

                Michelle nodded her head vigorously and I playfully slapped her arm, “Come on let’s go meet our consultant.”

                We walked inside and were greeted by Valerie, the head consultant.    

                “Lucy told me that you would be coming in today,” she warmly extended her hand toward me. “My name is Valerie and I will be helping you. I’m guessing you are the bride Kalie?”

                “Yes I am,” I answered shaking her hand.            

                “Who is in your entourage today Kalie?”

                “I have my mom and dad, my sister and matron of honor Kim, brides maids Crystal, Michelle, and Katie, and also my two brothers will be joining us shortly.”

                “You have some entourage. If you don’t mind me asking why are your brothers joining us today?”

                “My family is very important to me and I would like their opinion when it comes to picking out my dress.”

                “Ok then. How about we get started on finding your bride’s maids dresses? Do you have anything in mind?”

                “Well our colors are redish-purples, oranges, and yellows because the wedding is being held on the beach at the start of sunset. I actually have a picture of a sunset that inspired the theme.”    

                I showed her the picture and she replied, “That is beautiful. I have an idea. How about I look at the colors we have in stock and I will bring you and your girls with me to pick out some dresses that you like and we will go from there ok?”

                “Sounds like a plan to me.”

                “Is there any type of dress you would like to see your girls in?”

                “Honestly I just want one that will look good on all of them and as long as all of them agree on one dress then that will be the one.”

                “Ok. Come follow me and we will see what we find.”

                In the back Valerie asked my girls what color in my theme they would like to wear.

                “Anything but orange!” Crystal and Michelle answered together.

                “I don’t want to wear pink,” Katie said.

                “I was thinking maybe a redish-purple or a pomegranate,” Kim commented.

                “Ooh can we see some pomegranate ones please?” I asked.

                “Sure I’ll be right back.” Valerie disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a few dresses in pomegranate.

                “Do you all like that color?” I asked my girls.

                “That is pretty,” Katie said. Kim, Michelle and Crystal agreed.

                “Good,” I breathed out. “How about you each pick one out that you personally like and then we’ll compare them side by side and see which one everyone likes?”

                “Sounds good,” Kim nodded her head.

                Kim had picked out a full length satin gown with a strait neck line and side drape with a brooch. Michelle opted for a shorter satin dress with a sweet heart neck line. Crystal tried on a short, strapless chiffon dress with a halter top. Katie’s pick was almost exactly like Crystal’s except for a sweetheart neck line.

                I chuckled, “I love how you guys all picked pretty simple dresses.”

                “We know you too well Kayl,” Crystal answered.

                “Yeah if there is one thing about my sister that you should know Valerie, this that she is not one for over the top things,” Kim said.

                “Yeah my cousin likes to keep it simple,” Katie interjected.

                “Good to know,” Valerie smiled. “So any feedback on the dresses ladies?”

                “I actually really like Katie’s dress,” Michelle spoke first. “I think that would fit everyone beautifully.”

                Surprisingly everyone else agreed.

                “Can we just try on those dresses to make sure we all do look good in them?” Kim asked.

                “Of course. Let me go pull your sizes. We may not have them all in the same color but I will get the same style,” Valerie answered.

                Valerie and I helped Kim, Crystal, and Michelle into the dresses and after they looked at themselves in the mirror we agreed that this was the best bridesmaids dress for my girls.              

                “I like this dress a lot but I think it needs a little something extra. It’s a little too plain,” Michelle said.      

                “You know you’re right. I think it needs a sash or something,” I commented.

                “Wow Kay, is that really you?” Kim joked.

                My girls laughed and Valerie added, “We can put a sash on those dresses no problem. What color would you want?”

                “Purple!” all four of my girls answered.

                “It would be perfect because the sunset in the picture has a little touch of purple in it and it is Kalie’s favorite color,” Crystal said.       

                Valerie came back with a purple sash that matched the color in my picture perfectly. She handed it to Michelle.  

                “That works beautifully with that dress,” my mom said.                

                “Kay, I love it!” Michelle smiled into the mirror.

                “Do you three like it?” I asked Crystal, my sister and cousin.

                They answered with excited nods and big smiles.

                “That’s it,” I grinned, “we have our bridesmaid dresses!”

                We all rejoiced and shortly after my girls changed out of their dresses my brothers, Kyle and Kasey, arrived when I was looking at gowns with Valerie.         

                “Did we miss Kalie’s dress?” I heard my twin Kasey ask Mom when I was changing into the first dress.

                “No honey she is getting changed into the first dress now,” Mom replied. “You are just in time.”

                I walked out in the first dress, happy to see that my brothers had made it but not happy about the reaction I was getting from my entourage.

                “You all don’t look pleased with this dress at all,” I said.

                “It’s too plain,” Dad said simply. “It is pretty and it looks good on you and I know you don’t want something too over the top but don’t you want some beading or a design?”

                “Your father’s right. It needs something more Kalie,” Mom said.

                I looked in the mirror. The simple satin dress with a sweetheart neck line was pretty but my parents were right it was too simple. It had no beading or design on it what so ever so Valerie took me back to the changing room and I tried on something completely different.

                “I really like this one,” I said as Valerie helped me into my second choice.

                “This is one of my favorites,” she replied. “And honey you look gorgeous in this one.”

                There was no mirror in the changing room so I had to take her word for it until I stepped out in front of my family and friends.

                “Oh my….” My mom said when I stopped in front of them.

                “Is that a good oh my or a bad one?” The rest of my family and friends didn’t say anything. Mom grabbed a hold of Dad’s hand and they both started to tear.

                “That’s a good one,” Mom said starting to sniffle.

                Everyone else was speechless expect for Kasey, “You look gorgeous Kayl.”

                I turned around and my jaw dropped. This dress was gorgeous. The mermaid gown with re-embroidered lace and taffeta fabrics fit my body perfectly and the pearl beading, subtle metallic accents, crystal beading and sequins added the perfect touch that wasn’t too over the top for my taste. The dress was elegant, romantic, more than I had ever dreamed it would be.

                “What do you guys think?”

                Mom and Dad couldn’t answer as they were holding back tears too.

                “You look like a bride,” Kim answered teary eyed.

                Michelle and Crystal looked at each other and said, “Our little Kalie is growing up!”

                We all chuckled then Katie said, “The mermaid style really goes well with the whole beach theme.”

                Again we all chuckled and everyone agreed with her.

                Then I really got the tears flowing when I asked, “Do you think Grandma and Grandpa would’ve liked it too?”

                My family lost it.

                My Dad stood up and took my hands. He looked into my eyes and said, “Baby girl, you look so beautiful. I know Grandma and Grandpa are looking down and crying and smiling with us right now.”

                I wiped a few tears from my eyes and said, “This is the dress!”

                My entourage huddled around me for a big group hug. Tears were running down all of our faces, even Kyle and Kasey’s too.

                After Dad paid for my dress—he wouldn’t even let me pull out my wallet when we went to the cash register—we all went out to dinner and Nick met us there.

                “So what does the dress look like?” my fiancé asked after we had placed our orders.

                “Nickolas,” my mother said, “Don’t you know that you are not supposed to know anything about the dress until the day of the wedding? Actually the first time you see the dress will be when she walks down the aisle.”

                “Are you going to stick to tradition like that Kayl?” he asked. “I really can’t wait to see the dress.”

                “Of course I am! And I don’t want us to see each other until I walk down that aisle.”

                “Oh just torture me why don’t ya babe.”

                My family and friends chuckled. Nick flashed one of those sideways grins at me and I laughed myself.

                “I will tell you this son,” my dad said pointing his words toward Nick, “My baby girl’s going to take your breath away in that dress.”

                “She always leaves me breathless Mr. Smith.” He took my hand and kissed my forehead.

                I couldn’t help but blush as my family let out a chorus of awes and how cutes. 

Chapter 9 by CarterFan28

Chapter 9 That’s What We Don’t Have Yet  

*Kalie’s POV*

                Our five month break from the This Is Us Tour went by quickly. I went back to work at Diangela’s and Nick had been working hard on his second solo album. For the most part, the album was kept under lock and key but I helped him with whatever he would let me help with. Just like Now or Never, I helped him write a few lyrics and gave him my creative input with whatever he wanted it for. I cannot tell you how many times I found him asleep at his computer in the studio. I would wake him gently and bring him back to bed. He didn’t get that much sleep while making that album. He got cranky at times and we would have little quarrels here and there but I would leave for work and when I would come home he would apologize then give me a tight embrace and say, “This will all be worth it on the release date. I promise Kayl.”

                “I know baby. You drive me crazy sometimes but I love you anyway,” I would reply. I really wasn’t mad at him at all. I knew how perfect he wanted that CD to be.

                On February 2nd, 2011, Nick woke me up at midnight to drag me into his home studio to present me with the very first physical copy of I’m Taking Off and I was the one who was a little cranky.

                “Nick it’s midnight. I’ve only gotten like half an hour of sleep.”

                “I know, I’m just too excited about this CD. I really want you to be the first hear it fully. Especially since you’re my inspiration for most of the songs.”

                I looked into his eyes. They were so full of excitement and practically pleading with me to listen to the CD. I just couldn’t be mad at those baby blues.

                My lips curved upward, “Play the CD. I feel honored that I’m your inspiration and I’m going to be the first to hear it fully.”   

                “Can I read you something first?”

                “Of course.”

                He took out the booklet from the CD case and turned to the back where his thank yous were.

                “Before I read it I wanted to let you know that this took me forever to write. I didn’t know what I wanted to say exactly without my thank you to you being five pages long.” We both chuckled then he read, “I want to give thanks to my Kayl. You have been my backbone. We have learned so much together and have been through so much together. I don’t think it would have been possible to   complete this album without your love, dedication and support, and for always forgiving me when we had our little tiffs. Thank you for always being compassionate and understanding in times of uncertainty. By always taking my feelings into consideration. By having the biggest heart in the world and most of all, loving me unconditionally. I am truly thankful to have you in my life. I love you.”

                He put the booklet back in its place and I smiled at him, “That was beautiful baby. I love you too. Now play that CD.”

                I’m Taking Off was popped into Nick’s sound system and he and I danced as the music took control. It was so much fun! I had never seen Nick enjoy music of his own creation like this before. He put so much of his time and effort into that CD and I could tell that he was proud of it. I was proud of him. I’m Taking Off quickly became my new favorite CD and a hit with all of his fans, including Michelle and Crystal. We meet up for lunch in the daylight hours and Nick gave them their copies and they too fell in love with their best friend’s newest piece of art when they came back to our house to use the pool and have a listening party.  

                “Oh Nickolas you better get us tickets to this tour because it’s going to be an awesome one!” Michelle said.

                “I am in love with Nothing Left To Lose. It’s a beautiful song,” Crystal commented.

                “Thank you. My inspiration for it is beautiful,” he answered grabbing my hand.

                “Awe!” my best friends squealed.

                I just smiled and readjusted my engagement ring.

                Nick did some press about the release and by the end of the week we found ourselves picking up DJ Lani from the airport. Rich had come down to Florida so he wouldn’t be traveling to the last leg of the This Is Us Tour alone. We invited him to stay with us for a night to break up his flying time.

                “Nick thanks for sending Heather and her Backstreet Buds your new CD. You did a good job on it. It came out great. Heather absolutely loves it.”

                “It was no problem at all. Besides you helped compose the music for practically half of the CD and wrote half of the songs. Thank you for the help.”

                “You’re welcome. It feels good to have my name in that booklet. I’m really honored that you asked me to collaborate with you.”

                “What can I say Rich, you’re good at what you do.”

                I set the table for dinner and when we all sat down I asked Rich, ““How are the wedding plans going for you and Heather?”

                “Our wedding is pretty much planned. It helps a lot when her godfather is David Tutera.”

                “Get out of here!” I gasped.

                “I kid you not. He planned the entire thing for free, pulled strings to get her dress for a reasonable price, and will be walking her down the aisle.”

                “That’s awesome! I love his TV show. And that wedding is going to be gorgeous because he is notorious for his amazing weddings.”

                “And it was great to have him do it all because Heather and I don’t have to deal with it when I come back from tour. The only thing we have to figure out is what our song is going to be.”           

                “Nick! That’s what we don’t have yet. We don’t have our wedding song.”

                “We do have time to figure that out babe.”

                “But it’s important. It will be our song forever.”

                “Babe, we have a lot of travel time to listen to our favorite songs. I know it’s important but we have plenty of time to figure out our song.”

                “That’s true. Any way Rich when is the wedding?”

                “April 16. Your invitation should be in the mail soon. But I actually wanted to ask you Nick, would you be one of my groomsmen?”

                “Yeah man. I was going to ask you the same thing.”

                “That’s funny but sure I’ll be one of your groomsmen.”

                “Well that was fast,” I chuckled.  

                The next day the three of us meet up with the rest of Backstreet and the crew to start our final This Is Us journey which also went rather quickly.

                 Before we knew it we were boarding the plane to takes us back home to Florida.

                “Do you to continue our search for our wedding song?” I offered on of my head phones to Nick once the plane’s captain gave us the all clear to use electronic devices.

                “Sure.”

                I started playing the playlist I had made out of all the love songs on my iPod. I rested my head on Nick’s shoulder and was starting to fall asleep when Two Is Better Than One came on. I looked up at Nick excitedly.

                “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” I asked.

                “Are you thinking that I basically proposed with this song? The first time I popped the question I mean.”

                I chuckled when his lips raised into a one sided grin.

                “And I was thinking that it would sound really good if Kasey and Leslie sing it together for us. It could symbolize the union of our families. And Mark could play the guitar.”

                “I like it. I think we just found our wedding song Kayl. It's the perfect song.”

                “I think so too.”

Chapter 10 by CarterFan28

Chapter 10

*Rich’s POV*

                “Have a safe flight home Rich,” Kalie gave me a hug before I collected my bags for my connecting flight to New Jersey.

                “Thanks Kay. Have a safe drive home. I’m kind of jealous that you guys only have a few more minutes to get home when I two more hours.”

                “That flight will be nothing compared to the flying we have been doing lately. You’ll be home in no time,” Nick replied.               

                “That’s true. I’ll see you guys for the wedding in April.”

                “We can’t wait for it DJ Lani,” Kalie smiled and waved at me.  

                I collected my bags then waited for my flight at the gate. I checked my watch and sighed when I noticed that it was quarter to two in the morning. I had been up late for almost 22 hours and I hadn’t talked to Heather in that long either. We talked to each other every day while I was gone but travel time didn’t allow us to talk today. I knew I was going to hear her voice when I got home but I had to call her now.

                “Hey baby!” her sleepy but excited voice sounded was music to my ears. I smiled broadly.

                “Hey sweetheart. I’m sorry I woke you up.”

                “It’s ok. Where are you?”

                “Orlando International. Waiting for my plane. I’m so tired babe.”

                “You sound it. But you’ll be home soon.”

                “I can’t wait to be home.”

                “I can’t wait to have you home. I’ll be at Newark airport waiting for you.”

                “Perfect.” The boarding call from my flight come over the loud speaker, “My plane’s boarding so I’m on my way.”

                “Yay! I’m going to catch a few more z’s before I go pick you up. I’ll see you shortly honey.”

                “I can’t wait.”

                “Me neither baby.” I could hear the smile in her voice.

                The flight only took an hour and a half and amazingly my bags were the first ones off the plane. I was about to call Heather to find out where she was when I heard her voice call out my name. I turned around and found her jogging toward me. I dropped my bags and brought her into my arms.

                “Welcome home baby!”

                My arms squeezed her tight and I breathed in the smell of her hair, “I missed you a lot.”

                “I missed you too honey. Come on let’s go home.”

                We walked hand in hand to her car and once she started to drive off we talked about what had happened on tour and what I had missed back home.

                She had her iPod plugged into the sound system and when From This Moment On by Shania Twain came on we both stopped to listen to it.

                “Is this the duet she did with the Backstreet Boys they did in 1999?” I asked.

                “Yes it is. I love the original song but I think they make it ten times better.”

                I laughed, “You think BSB makes anything ten times better.”

                “This is true. But I was thinking…”

                “Oh no here comes trouble…”

                She slapped my arm, “I was thinking that maybe this could be our wedding song. And maybe the Original Elites could sing it for us. You remember the great job they did with this song during the first concert right?”

                “How could I forget? That performance was amazing and you were so proud of them.”

                Heather is a high school chorale director. The Original Elites were the very first group of students she directed by herself after becoming a full-fledged teacher. They had wanted to form an all accapella group but no other chorale director would let them until Heather came along. The small group faced a lot of difficulties but each member had a lot of heart and talent. Every single concert they performed turned out to be phenomenal and Heather was their biggest supporter. Once they all graduated from high school they formed their own accapella band and performed for weddings and parties to help pay for their college educations. Whenever the Original Elites performed in town Heather was there to support them and she never lost contact with them. She fully enjoyed every song they sang but her favorite will always be From This Moment On in the style of the duet.

                “So what do you think? I invited them all to the wedding and their all coming. I haven’t asked them yet but I think they would do it for us.”

                “I think it’s the perfect song.”

                The next day Heather called Shania, the lead female singer of The Original Elites, not to be confused with Shania Twain herself, and asked her about singing the song for our first dance.

                “Of course we’ll do it! We’d all be honored to sing at your wedding!” I could hear Shania’s excited voice as I sat down next to my fiancé at the couch.

                “Yay! Oh this is going to be awesome Shania.”

                “Do you want us to sing the duet version?”

                “Yes please. You know how much I love it when you sing that version.”

                “I love it too. I never get tired of singing it.”

                “Awesome! Now I know you are going to rehearse but don’t overdo it. Just make it beautiful without stressing over it.”

                “I had a feeling you were going to give us your usual advise. The Original Elites have never forgotten that Heather.” (Heather always let her students call her by her first name.)

                “I’m glad. I’ll see you guys at the wedding!”

                “I can’t wait!”

                Before going to bed that night I listened to the duet again and got a great idea to surprise my bride on our wedding day.        

Chapter 11 by CarterFan28

Chapter 11 The Letter

*Heather’s POV*

                “Uncle Dave you really didn’t have to throw me a bachelorette party today.”

                “Yes I did. You have to have a bachelorette party! Besides Diane insisted that you had one too. She paid for half of it.”

                We pulled into the parking lot of one of my favorite restaurants and before we got out of the car I asked, “You didn’t hire me a stripper did you?”

                “Heather!” he scolded. “You ruined the surprise!”

                “Uncle Dave!” I slapped his arm.

                “Honey calm down. I promise I did not hire a stripper for you and neither did your friends or sister I promise. We got you another piece of eye candy.”

                “What?”              

                “You’ll find out after brunch now come on the girls are waiting and I’m starving.”

                As we were eating we just sat and talked. It was nice and exactly what I wanted. Well I really wanted to go to a BSB concert for my bachelorette party but I wasn’t able to get tickets. Even though the This Is Us tour was finished the Boys were putting on a special VIP Acoustic show in NYC and there were a limited amount of tickets. The tickets were all sold out by the time I even found out about the concert. But I was content with eating at my favorite restaurant reminiscing with my friends, Uncle Dave and Diane.

                When we were finished Kelshie handed me an envelope.

                “What’s this?”

                “Just open it.”

                “You guys did not get me tickets for tonight’s BSB show?!”

                “Yes we did,” Melina answered.

                “We’ll we got a little help from Kalie and Nick,” Jess added.

                “That’s awesome! Thank you guys!”

                “Oh don’t thank us yet,” Carly said. “We are going to meet Kalie at the venue and wait until you see where she reserved seats for us.” 

                “Have a fun time honey and don’t forget to wear this,” Uncle Dave said putting a bride sash on me and a tiara.

                “Thanks Uncle Dave,” I chuckled.

                “Come on let’s go before we’re late,” Kelshie grabbed my wrist and dragged me out the door with the rest of my Backstreet Buds and my sister.

                “Thanks for brunch Uncle Dave and Diane!” I called out.

                “It was our pleasure sweat heart,” Diane responded.

                To make a long story short when we got to the venue Kalie was waiting for us with one of BSB’s body guards and they escorted us right to the front row before anyone else was allowed in. But the best part was during the show when they sang Drowning, I was serenaded on stage. It was funny too because they pretended that they had no clue who I was even though they all knew me pretty well.

                “Oh hey we have a bride to be in the audience tonight!” AJ pointed out. “Congratulations.”

                “So this is you bachelorette party?” Brian asked.

                I nodded my head and smiled.

                “Well we don’t put on that kind of show,” Howie said.

                “Who said we didn’t?” Nick said then started to pull off his shirt like he was a stripper.

                I laughed then screamed, “Oh hell yeah take it off!”

                “Now we know who your favorite is,” AJ said.

                “But I love all of you,” I replied.

                “That changes things then. Come on up here,” Brian said extending his hand. Nick took my other hand and they escorted me to a stool in the middle of the stage.

                They sang Drowning perfectly and I absolutely loved it! I mean how many other brides to be can say that they were serenaded by their favorite band the night before their wedding?

                After the song ended Nick kissed my hand and handed me a rose.

                “Thanks fellas.”

                “You’re welcome. Just don’t think about that performance too much on your wedding night,” Nick chuckled.

                I laughed again, “I’ll try not to. Although that was pretty unforgettable.”

                Once the show was over Kalie took us back stage to hang out with the fellas for a little bit.

                “I must say that was pretty good acting Boys.”

                “Thanks we kind of threw it all together on the spot,” Howie answered.

                “Are you excited for tomorrow though?” Brian asked.

                “I am. I haven’t seen Rich all day and I can’t wait to see him tomorrow.”

                “We will be there.” Nick smiled at me.

                “It’ll be fun. My Uncle Dave knows how to throw a good party.”

                “You are so lucky your uncle is David Tutera,” Kalie commented.

                “He’s very special to me. I never really knew my father and he’s been the greatest and only father figure in my life. He wouldn’t let me get another wedding planner.”

                “Well there’s not a lot of father figures who would plan a wedding for their little girl period,” Kalie said.

                “That’s true.”

                We stayed for a little longer talking but my mind was somewhere else.

                I hadn’t told anyone about it but I received a letter from my father that morning. At first I wanted to put a match to it but I read it. I don’t know why I did because I despise that man. He left us when I was only 5 and my sister was 7.

                He abused my mom and the both of us can remember the horrible things he said to her and how gruff he always was around us, especially me. He only wanted one daughter, not two. The doctor told my parents I was a boy but to my mom’s joy and dad’s dismay I turned out to be a girl.

                My sister was a smart kid, even as a toddler and she never liked my dad.  My mom never let him get close to me and he was never around while I was growing up. He spent most of his time driving an 18 wheeler across the country and when he came back he would spend most of his time in the local bar. He would come home drunk and beat my mom. Once, when Stephanie was six and I was four, she grabbed me by the hand and hid us in a closet. She had taken our mom’s cell phone and dialed 911 telling the dispatcher that, “A very bad man is hurting my Mommy and my sister and I are hiding in a closet” and rattled of our address. From that point on my dad hated Stephanie too because he was tattled on by a six year old. A few months after that on the morning of my 5th birthday he left. Steph and I shared a room at the time and we had both woken up before mom came to wake us up for school. We were about to go down stairs when we heard our parents arguing. Stephanie held her hand over my mouth so I wouldn’t talk.

                I can’t remember the entire conversation but I do remember him screaming, “Heather was supposed to be a boy! I never wanted a second daughter! I’m going to find someone who can actually give me a son Avery! Tell the girls that daddy’s gone for good and never coming back!” With that he slammed the door and we could hear our mom start to sob.

                She came up the stairs to find us standing just outside the door.

                “How much of that did you two hear?” she never covered anything up when he fought with her unless we weren’t around to hear it.            

                “All of it,” Steph replied.

                Mom crouched down and almost started crying again. Stephanie put her little hand on her shoulder and said, “Mommy don’t cry because of him. We don’t need him. We never did and he’s gone now so we don’t have to worry about him anymore.”

                She brought my sister into her arms and replied, “You’re right Stephanie. We have each other,” she brought me into the group hug then finished, “And that’s all we’ll ever need.”

                When I was about 17 he showed up again and made my mom go crazy. He forced his way into the house and fought with her. She finally snapped and fought back. That night she was admitted into the hospital and the next day she was admitted into the mental hospital. Diane was appointed as our legal guardian because Uncle Dave at the time didn’t have enough money to move back to New Jersey right away. Mom died the next year a few months after I turned 18. On my 18th birthday Diane, Stephanie, Uncle Dave, Mom and I went horseback riding. It was the last ride with my mom before her health failed. None of us had ever heard from or seen my father since that night he was taken away by police and my mom was brought to the hospital. But yet the day of my engagement party I get a letter from him saying how much he misses me and how sorry he was that he was never a part of my life and how he wanted to start over by walking me down the aisle.             

                I didn’t respond to the letter. I just crumpled it up and threw it away. Rich had already gone to his friend’s house for his bachelor party so I was by myself with the Pups. I took them all for a long walk to get my mind off of that damn letter. As I walked I listened to my iPod so I could escape into my Backstreet Bubble. Their harmonies and the songs I loved were making me feel better until Sincerely Yours by AJ McLean played in the playlist of both BSB and solo songs. I stopped and sat on a park bench when the song came on and just buried my face in my hands. Shep knew that I was crying so he placed his paw on my knee and whined. Hunter jumped on the bench beside me and Lacey jumped up on the other side. I was glad no one else was in the park because I hated when people saw me cry, especially over my dad who I hated. I hadn’t thought about that letter all day until now.

                And just my luck he was waiting for me outside of the venue. I didn’t even recognize him. But Stephanie did.

                I didn’t even recognize him. But Stephanie did.

                “What the fuck are you doing here?!”

                “Hello Stephanie. I’m glad to see you too.”

                “Get away from us.”

                “I wanted to apologize.”

                “Apology not excepted and never will be.”

                “So I guess that means I’m not invited to the wedding tomorrow?”

                “Fuck no!”

                “Is there a problem here ladies?” a police officer patrolling the streets  pulled up next to my sister and I.

                “If you can please escort this man away from us it would be greatly appreciated. He’s breaking the restraining order we have against him.”

                “I forgot about that little slip of paper,” our stranger father said.

                Just like the last time we saw him he was escorted away from us by the police.

                “I know what you are thinking,” my sister put her arm around me, “He is not going to show up tomorrow. I’ll make sure of it. That little piece of paper won’t let him get anywhere near us.”

                “Uncle Dave would kick his ass anyway if he tried.”

                That made my sister chuckle and I lightened up a little.

Chapter 12 by CarterFan28

Chapter 12 From This Moment On

                *April 16, 2011*

                The next morning Heather found herself sitting in the bridal suite in the Golden Breeze Hotel nestled amongst the paddocks and barns of the Golden Breeze Ranch owned and run by Diane. It was always Heather’s dream to have her wedding here and now it was coming true.  

                “I can’t believe you are getting married!” Stephanie hugged her little sister once she was finished with Heather’s hair and make-up.

                “I can’t either,” she looked down at her engagement ring and smiled. “Thanks again for doing my hair and make-up. I absolutely love it!”

                Her make-up was subtle and accented her natural beauty perfectly. Her long brown locks hung down in elegant loose curls with blue, pink, red, white, and purple wild flowers braided into the curls. She didn’t want a veil so the flowers took its place.

                “You’re welcome. Come on let’s go show the Backstreet Buds and take our pictures before we meet Uncle Dave. I know once he sees you the tears will start to flow.”

                “Good idea.”

                They walked out to the hallway that Diane and Uncle Dave decorated themselves and were greeted by the biggest smiles on the Backstreet Buds faces. 

                “You look gorgeous Hermie,” Kelshie commented.

                “Thanks.”

                “Are you nervous?” Carly asked.

                “Slightly.”

                “Are you excited?” Melina questioned.

                “I’m very excited.”

                The photographer, who was also a good family friend, snapped a few pictures before the girls heard Uncle Dave’s voice call out from the hotel lobby down the stairs, “Is everyone ready?”            

                “We’re coming,” Heather replied.

                “We just have to check a few things,” Stephanie added. She turned back to her sister and continued, “So the flowers in your hair takes care of the something blue. You borrowed those earrings from me, and the Backstreet Buds all chipped in to buy you that new bracelet. All you need is something old.”

                “I’ll take care of that,” Uncle Dave answered. “Come on down girls so I can give you your bouquets starting with the bridesmaids please.”

                The Backstreet Buds led the way down the stairs and Uncle Dave smiled at them and commented on how pretty each of them looked in their dresses. He gave them each a white bouquet then did the same for Stephanie.

                 “Oh Heather,” he gasped as she walked down the stairs. He nearly dropped the bride’s bouquet that matched the flowers in her hair. “You look like you are floating down those stairs. You… you have taken my breath away.”

                She stood in front of him and he took her hands, “Honey you look absolutely gorgeous. I am so happy for you…” his eyes started swelling up with tears, “I told myself I wouldn’t do this.”

                Heather laughed slightly as her own eyes started to fill.

                “You have your something borrowed, something blue and something new but you don’t have your something old… until now.”

                He pulled out a shining silver locket from his jacket pocket, “This was your mothers and she wanted you to have it on your wedding day.” He opened it up to reveal a picture of her smiling mother. “I know she is looking down at you right now and smiling brighter than the sun, and I know you already keep her there but now she will always stay in your heart.”

                “Uncle Dave,” she whimpered.

                A single tear ran down her cheek and he gently wiped it away. He gave her a tight, warm hug and said, “I know she’s here with us today. I just know it. And I also know that she would say that this is a happy day and to stop crying and smile. So smile honey. It’s going to be a perfect day.”

                Uncle Dave gave Heather her bouquet then she looped her arm with his and made their way outside to the ceremony.

                Heather marveled at the rows of white, cushioned seats that her guests sat in. Lilac bushes accented with white satin bows surrounded the alter where Diane was standing to officiate the wedding.  The white run way leading to the alter had different colored flower petals scattered across it to add the perfect touch of color. Heather noticed all of this and smiled because Uncle Dave did a beautiful job but she couldn’t keep her eyes of off another site. And it wasn’t the horses grazing in the pastures surrounding the ceremony space.

                The bride watched her Backstreet Buds and sister proceed down the aisle with their escorts.  Each of them moved with grace and elegance and then before he saw her, Heather laid eyes on her groom.

                He is so handsome. The bride thought as she gazed at Rich in his black tux accented with a purple vest and bowtie. I hope he likes this dress. And my hair, and make up. And the entire wedding.   

                “Are you ready?” Uncle Dave grinned at her.

                “Yeah,” she nodded her head, “I’m ready.”

                “And Heather, you are going to take his breath away. You really do look gorgeous.”

                A grin formed across her lips, “You really do know me too well Uncle Dave.”

                “Try not to drool ‘cause here comes the bride,” Stephanie nudged Rich.

                The guests stood up and then Rich’s eyes became wide and he forgot how to breathe as he watched his beloved Violet float down the aisle toward him. Uncle Dave had pride gleaming in his eyes and he escorted his niece listening to all of the complements she was getting and seeing all the flashing camera lights. She looked up at her groom and smiled at him. In response his lips formed the word wow before the sides of his mouth curved into a mesmerized smile. It was the first time he had seen his bride in her dress and there was no doubt that he was loving the sight his eyes were taking in.

                Heather didn’t even realize that Diane spoke and Uncle Dave just gave her away. She could hear her heart pounding in her chest-- or maybe it was Rich’s. She was put in a daze standing in front of her long time love like this and it was broken when she felt Uncle Dave kiss her forehead.

                The next thing she knew Diane had asked her and Rich to take hold of each other’s hands and face each other. In the next moment they were saying their vows.                

                “Rich would you please give your confession of love to Heather,” Diane said.

                He pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and started reading, “I have to admit that this took me forever to write because I don’t know how to put my love for you in words. You are beautiful. Your smile out shines the sun, but the beauty of your soul is blinding. We have been best friends since the diaper years. We have shared so many wonderful memories together and I cannot imagine what is in store. If you didn’t find me when I really needed you, I would not have been here to marry you today. For that I am forever thankful because you, my best friend, saved my life and can’t wait to spend the rest of it with you. And to quote our wedding song, ‘My dreams came true because of you.’ I love you Heather, my Violet.”

                “That’s sweet Rich,” Diane smirked then turned to Heather, “And now it’s the bride’s turn.”

                “Hunter come here,” Heather knelt down for a second as her beagle came to her with a piece of paper in her mouth. Yes all three of The Pups were invited to the wedding and were a part of it. She unfolded the paper and read, “What can I say Rich? I honestly cannot believe that I am standing here with you on our wedding day. We have been such great friends and I will admit that some can say that they predicted our friendship would come to this but I never did. I always knew our friendship would withstand the test of time but it was only in my wildest dream that it would turn into love. I was so scared it never would the day I found you on my door step pleading for help. If it wasn’t for you and the great support you showed me when Mom died, I don’t think I would be standing here with you today and for that I am forever grateful.” She paused and looked up into his eyes and chuckled, “Also quoting our wedding song, ‘You’re the reason I believe in love and my dreams came true because of you.’ I love you Rich. You saved my life and now we can spend the rest of it together.”

                “I can tell you folks that they did not write their vows together,” Diane commented.

                That made everyone chuckle including the bride and groom.

                “You had lovely vows you two. Now it’s time for the rings.”

                With that Shep and Lacey sat in front of the alter. They were the ring bearers for the ceremony.

                Rich got Heather’s ring from the pouch attached to Shep’s collar and slipped it on her finger, “I Richard Mathew Lani take you, Heather Marie Herman, as my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health. With this ring I promise to cherish and love you beyond the end of time. With this ring I thee wed my best friend and savior. ”

                Heather took Rich’s ring from the pouch on Lacey’s collar, “I Heather Marie Herman take you, Richard Mathew Lani as my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health. With this ring I promise to cherish and love you beyond the end of time. With this ring I thee wed my best friend and savior.”

                “You two do not know how honored I am to say that I have seen you both grow up into the amazing young people standing in front of me today. And I don’t think you will ever know how extremely happy I am to say that I now pronounce you husband and wife. Let me be the first to congratulate the new Mr. and Mrs. Lani on a long but most importantly happy marriage filled with nothing but love. Rich, I know you have been waiting all day for me to say this, you may now kiss your beautiful bride.”

                The biggest smile formed across Heather’s lips before she shared her first kiss with her new husband. Even though it was a simple closed mouth kiss, it felt like nothing she had ever felt before. Rich excitedly grabbed her hand then they turned to their guests. Cheers and shouts rang out through the ranch yard and even the horses rejoiced with happy neighs. She couldn’t help but smile as she walked hand in hand back down the aisle toward Meg who was holding Bullseye. The newlyweds mounted the horse and rode off into the sunset after taking a few pictures with their steed. It was another part of Heather’s dream to ride into the sunset with her new husband on their wedding day.

                They rode out to the spot where Rich proposed.

                “We had to come back here today,” Heather whispered. “It wouldn’t be perfect without coming back to the spot where it all started. It’s not only the place where you proposed but…”

                Rich finished for her, “It’s where I told you for the first time that I loved you. I still do. And I always will.”

                “I love you too Rich.”

                “And look what’s on the picnic table.”

                She couldn’t help but laugh when she found a picnic basket with a bag of twizzlers inside.

                “Consider it my wedding present,” Rich chuckled.

                “I think it’s a perfect wedding present. Come on let’s go back to the party.”

                They mounted Bullseye again and loped back to their waiting guests.

                During the cocktail hour the photographer had the entire wedding party pose with the bride and groom. After the pictures were finished Kelshie and Jess pulled Heather aside because Kelshie couldn’t help but ask her something.

                “So how nervous are you for tonight?” Kelshie poked her best friend excitedly.

                “I’m kinda nervous.”

                “Of course a virgin would be on her wedding night.”

                Heather blushed, “Ok. I have to tell you something.”

                “You’re not a virgin?!” Jess whispered astonished.

                Heather shook her head.

                “Does Rich know?” Kelshie questioned.

                “Yes he does… because he was the one to take it.”

                “Oh so that’s not too scandalous then,” Jess commented.

                “We’ll it kind of is. He took my virginity the night before I left for college.”

                Jess and Kelshie were completely shocked.

                “But you too weren’t even dating!” Jess nearly screamed.

                “We were secretly dating. Since senior year. That’s why we went to prom together.”

                “And you never told us!” Kelshie slapped Heather’s arm.

                “We promised we’d keep all of it a secret. My sister doesn’t even know. And I’d rather not tell her if you get what I mean.”

                “Secret safe with us,” her best friend replied.

                The photographer asked the newlyweds to go take a few more pictures and while they were posing together, Heather could only think of that one faithful night years ago.

*Heather’s POV*

                The photographer kept snapping pictures and I listened to the way he wanted Rich and I to pose but I was thinking of something else. Kelshie made me think of it and I couldn’t stop.

                I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was the night before I left for college and the last time Rich and I would see each other for a very long time since I was moving out to California to live with my godfather Uncle David and go to school.

                It was just him and I in his finished basement. We were watching some sappy romance movie that we were making fun of making each other laugh trying to keep our minds off of how much we were going to miss each other when I left. He was lounged on the coach and I was curled up next to him resting my head on his shoulder. Whenever we were alone we would always sit like this. Basically, we were dating but nobody knew about it. Not even the Backstreet Buds or his parents and my sister. Our relationship was our biggest secret.

                Once the movie ended he started running his fingers through my hair. I looked up at him and I could see that he was upset.

                “I’m going to miss you so much Vi.”

                “You don’t know how much I’m going to miss you.”

                He looked in my eyes and held my gaze as his lips slowly moved closer to mine. Right before our lips touched our eyes closed. Our lips held the sweet kiss for a few tender seconds and when we parted I shifted myself so that I was sitting straighter and could look directly into his eyes. His hand pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and then it rested there. He looked into my eyes as I started tearing.

                “Violet don’t cry. The time will pass by fast enough I promise. We’ll be together again in no time. And I’ll always just be a phone call away.”

                “It wouldn’t be the same,” I sobbed. “I can’t just come over here to talk to you if I’m having a bad day. And you can’t hold or kiss me over the phone.”

                “Well how about I hug and kiss you all night long. We can make up for lost time now before we lose it.”

                I wiped my cheeks dry and his hand lifted my chin so he could look into my eyes again.

                “We have all night.”       

                “You’re right. Let’s not waste it.”

                We kissed again but this time it wasn’t like any other kiss we had shared before. This one was our first French kiss. Yes, our first and my first French kiss. I always took my relationships slow and my secret relationship was no different. But that night things sped up, quickly.

                My body went limp as the kiss become more intense and sensual. He pulled away from my lips and I tried to catch my breath only to have it stagger when I felt his lips gently kiss the side of my neck. I shivered with each kiss he left on my skin but I didn’t stop him. I couldn’t stop him. I didn’t want to stop him.

                I glided my hand up into his coffee brown hair. Then he pulled away from my neck and looked into my eyes.

                “Am I going too fast?”

                I pushed my forehead against his and breathed over his lips, “The pace is perfect. Let’s not waste the night. There is no one else I would want to do this with. Don’t stop now.”

                We kissed again and from there, our relationship went to the next level in a slow, sensual, sensitive way. I cherished every kiss he gave me and the feel of his skin against mine and the feeling he was giving me.

                Afterward we lay in each other’s arms. I had my head on his bare chest listening to his heartbeat and he was running his fingers through my hair.

                “Violet,” he whispered.

                “Yes Rich?”

                “I love you.”

                I raised myself up to his face and looked into his eyes with a sad smile on my face, “I love you too.”

                We shared one last kiss before we fell asleep in each other’s arms. In that kiss we promised each other this would be our secret and in that kiss we told each other goodbye.  

                And I was right. Our relationship would never be the same again. We stopped talking to each other because the distance hurt too much. He got involved with Harper and Harlow. He became addicted to drugs and alcohol and the Rich I was in love with had died while I was away at college. It was depressing really. But looking back at it I would never change a thing. That night was perfect. Just like I knew our wedding night would turn out to be.

                “Come on newlyweds you have a party to attend! You have taken enough pictures! It’s time to party!” Uncle Dave’s voice broke me out of my memory and Rich and I walked hand in hand to the reception.

                Our ceremony space was transformed with beautifully decorated tables on either side of a dance floor Uncle Dave rented for us.

                The DJ, who was a friend of Rich’s, introduced us as we moved onto the dance floor for our first dance as a married couple.

                We stood in the middle of the dance floor and The Original Elites stood in front of the microphones.

                “I would like to say on behalf of The Original Elites that it is an honor to be singing for our favorite teacher tonight and we all want to say congratulations,” Shaina spoke into her mic. “I hope you like the performance Heather and Rich.”

                The “instrumentalists” of the accapella group started singing imitating the guitar and other instruments in the beginning of the song.

                Shaina started to sing and Rich and I swayed together. Then to my surprise Howie D joined her.

                “You did not!” I said astonished.

                Rich shrugged, “It was actually Uncle Dave’s idea. I just asked the fellas and they agreed. I just couldn’t get Kevin in on the deal so Mitch is going to take his part like they did during the concert.”

                “Thank you baby. This is perfect!”

                We continued to dance as The Original Elites and BSB sang our song. The fellas sounded great as usual and The Original Elites were dead on. It took me back to the first time they performed it but this time it just seemed more evolved, better I guess you could say, although the first time they performed it was gorgeous. But the star of the song was Shania. She sang beautifully and I could tell that she was loving the fact that she was singing with the Backstreet Boys who she too loved.

                The rest of the night was indeed perfect. Our guests where on the dance floor for most of the night and the food was excellent. Before we knew it our guests were leaving, the DJ was packing up his equipment and Rich and I were making our way to the inn.

                My God was I nervous! I really didn’t have to be because, well, it was just Rich I had married after all. But then again, it was my first time with him since that faithful night years ago. We had both said it was a mistake and that’s what lead to us not talking but deep down inside we both wanted it, badly and we both didn’t regret it. Rich was the only man I had given myself to. That was one of the main reasons why I couldn’t maintain a steady relationship because every time I would get close to having sex with a guy I was dating at the time, I would stop him and he would leave the next day. Permanently. I don’t know why or how but I would always pick the sex hounds. My sister always said it was because I was attractive and, quoted directly from her, “down right sexy”. I didn’t think I was attractive or sexy even though every guy I dated told me I was. But Rich was different. If we got lost in the heat of the moment, (and trust me that happened a lot) I would ask him to stop and he would. Then he would apologize and reassure me that he wanted me to be ready first before going too far. He would then just hold me close and run his fingers through my hair. Eventually we would go back to making out. I wanted to rebuild our relationship and not have it based on sex. Rich, to my utter amazement and complete joy, agreed. He never left, he never will leave. That’s the beauty of our relationship. That and the fact that he is the only man I believe when he tells me that  I’m attractive. Now I was hoping he’d think of me as sexy, and convince me of that.             

                We didn’t really talk as we were making our way to the honeymoon room of the inn. It was the only room on the second floor and the only way to get to it was to take the stairs. Once the reception was over and we had said good bye and thank you to the last guest who left, Rich had grabbed my hand. I looked into his eyes and raised my lips up in a one sided grin that I hope looked sexy. He winked at me and we ran toward the stairs.    

                After reaching the top of the stairs and rounding the corner, Rich hastily ripped the key out of his pocket and unlocked the door. It swung open and as I was about to step inside, my new husband swooped me into his arms.

                I let out a surprised laugh, “What are you doing honey?”

                “What?” he grinned, “The groom is supposed to carry the bride threw the threshold on their wedding night.”

                I laughed again and then we kissed.

                He followed the carpet of rose pedals from the door leading to the bed. He placed me gently onto it and then we looked at each other.

                “Do you want to look around the room first? Maybe un-pack?” Rich asked. He knew I was nervous.

                “Sure.”

                I got up and grabbed my overnight bag. Our bags had been placed in the room during the cocktail hour and Diane had decorated the room with all sorts of purple and white flowers, and candles. She had also left the lights on for us so we could take in the beauty of the room. It was like a perfect little apartment complete with bedroom, full bathroom, kitchen and living room. And it had a cute little veranda.               

                After kicking off my heels and placing my bouquet in a vase already filled with water, I threw the clothes I had brought for the morning in the dresser then I looked out at the veranda. It held a table with two chairs and a Jacuzzi tub.

                “Look honey, we could have breakfast in the morning out there. I bought the fixings to make my fruit stuffed French toast that you like so much. And there’s bacon and eggs and pretty much everything else that Diane got for us. We could enjoy the gorgeous view of the ranch in the morning.”

                He walked up behind me and placed his hands on my hips, “We could use the Jacuzzi too.”

                “I didn’t bring a bathing suit though.”

                “Who said you needed a bathing suit.”

                I blushed a little and I was hoping he didn’t notice but of course he did.

                “Oh come on baby,” he said in a voice that sounded really sexy, “After tonight you won’t be blushing anymore. Well at least not around me.”

                I turned my head to look into his eyes. He smiled then kissed me. It was a sweet and delicate kiss but with a lot of passion behind it, much like our first kiss as husband and wife.

                “You ready to consummate our marriage?” he looked into my eyes and I knew he could see my nerves.

                I didn’t answer. I didn’t have to really. He knew I was hesitant.

                “How’s this? I’ll go light the candles, dim the lights, and get myself out of this tux and see if that changes your mind. ‘Cause once you see me in nothing but the candle light, you’ll be ready like that,” he snapped his fingers and flashed a smile.

                I couldn’t help but laugh. “Oh really? You think you can change my mind that quickly huh?” I chuckled.

                “Yeah. I know you think I’m sexy. I’m just sexier in the candle light. Plus I grew a little bit since the last time.”

                I shook my head at him but the smile couldn’t be erased from my face.

                “I knew that would make you laugh. Does is sound like a good plan though?”

                “Yeah it does. And I really do want to see you in the candle light.”

                “Oh so you do think I’m sexy,” he winked at me.             

                I giggled again, “Of course I do. Now come on go light those candles and I’ll slip into something a little more comfortable.”   

                Rich kissed my forehead before taking off his bowtie.

                I watched as he hung up his jacket then took off his vest and shirt. He sat down on the bed for a second to take off his shoes and socks then he looked up at me. I hadn’t moved from the spot at the sliding doors.

                “Go ahead, go get more comfortable. I’ll be right here waiting for you unless you want me to give you a show.”

                “I’m going.” I grabbed the bag and hanger for my dress and my cosmetic bag.

                I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I grabbed the white satin slip I had bought for tonight from the dress bag where I had hidden it. I wanted something sexy but I was too embarrassed to buy anything really reveling. I hastily unzipped my dress and hung it up. I stood in front of the mirror and took in my image. I was wearing a white lace bra and matching panties.

                I shrugged and thought to myself, “That’s reveling enough I guess.”

                I applied a touch more make up after putting on the satin slip. I took one last glance of myself and thought out loud, “Here goes nothing.”

                “Honey you alright?” Rich called from the bed room.    

                My eyes closed as I took in a deep breath, “Yeah I’m coming out now.”

                My hand was starting to shake as I opened the door then turned off the light.

                The candle light danced on the walls and romantic music played from the boombox. I could feel my heart flutter with every step I took closer to the bed.

                Rich was already laying down on it. He was only wearing the shirt he wore under his tuxedo shirt and his boxers. I stood in front of him and asked, “So… what do you think?”

                He looked up at me and his eyes became wide as he eyed the slip that barely covered my ass, “You look amazing. You look sexy.”

                “I do?”

                The bed creaked as he stood up. He stood before me and wrapped his arms around my waist bringing me closer to his body. His lips hovered over mine as he spoke, “You are the sexiest woman ever.”    

                “You really think so?”

                He pushed a strand of curled hair out of my face, “Would I ever lie to you?”

                “No you wouldn’t. I just don’t feel sexy.”

                “Tonight I will make you feel sexy. Only if you want me to.”

                I crashed my lips onto his. When we parted for air he chuckled, “I’ll take that as a yes please.”

                “It was actually a do it now.”      

                He smirked, “Even better. But I’ll take it slow.”

                His lips inched closer to mine and as they met again our eyes closed. I don’t know how long we stood there making out but it was like no other time before; his tongue snaking around mine, one hand supporting the back of my neck and the other on the small of my back pushing the lower half of my body closer to his. I could feel the bulge in his boxers. It was odd at first and I was wondering about how big he really was and how it was going to feel with it inside me again. It was so long since that day, I hadn’t thought about that in what seemed like ages until today. But when I felt Rich’s hand slide over my ass and onto my leg, the only think I could think of was the moment I was in right now.

                “Are you sure you’re ready?” he asked looking into my eyes.

                “Yes honey. You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting for this.”

                My nerves seemed to disappear for a fleeting moment when my lips collided with his again. As we kissed, his other hand slid down the outline of my body. His fingers pushed up under the bottom of the slip over the sides of my panties. His hands skillfully and gently ran back up my body pulling the slip with them. I raised my arms and our lips parted as he pulled the slip over my head and flung it to the floor.

                “You like what you see?” I said in a voice that didn’t even sound like it had come from my mouth. It sounded alluring and it surprised me because I didn’t even try to sound that way.

                “I like it a lot. Although I have a feeling I’m going to like what’s underneath the lace even more,” he said eyeing my almost naked body. “I can’t wait to see how much you have grown since the last time.”

                I stepped closer to him, “And I...” I tugged off his shirt and grinned gliding my hands over his hard abs and pecks, “like this view a lot better.”

                “Wait until you see the total package Vi.”

                I bit my bottom lip, “Your cockiness is actually turning me on.”

                “Really?”             

                I nodded my head then let my hand creep down toward his boxers and stopped it just before his bulge, “And the thought of seeing you completely naked is turning me on even more.” 

                He shivered out of excitement, “Oh man Vi this is a side of you I have never seen before! I like the seductive side.”

                I flashed him a sexy grin then sat on the bed resting on my outstretched arms, “So, how do we start?”

                “Like this,” he crawled onto the bed behind me. I sat up a little straighter. He collected my hair and moved it into my left shoulder. I knew exactly what he was going to do; we called it “the vampire” because he would suck on my neck and lightly nibble on it. I loved the way it felt.

                “You know how much I love when you do this,” I said in a near whisper. “My vampire.”

                “This time I’m going to add a little something extra to it,” he whispered in my ear.

                My heart started beating a little faster anticipating what he was going to do next.

                His kisses started out gentle then progressively became more vampire like. Just how I liked it. Then I watched as his hands glided up toward my breast. I couldn’t say anything and I was surprising myself because I really wanted him to touch them.

                He started slow rubbing his hands over the lace bra. His fingers working the same pace and intensity as his lips sucking on my neck. Just as he was going to suck harder on my neck I really surprised myself by saying,

                “Honey stop.”

                “What’s wrong?” he sounded very concerned.

                “Nothing. I just want you to go further. Take off my bra.”            

                “You sure?”       

                “Yes Rich just do it.”

                He didn’t say another word, just returned his lips to the spot they were kissing and his fingers went directly to the hook of my bra. It fell onto my lap and he then tossed it to the floor.

                “You ready for the big revel Vi?”

                “Yes. I’ve been waiting all night for it.”

                “Alright then,” he said in a seductive voice, “Get ready for it.”

                He got off the bed and stood in front of me with his back toward me. He did a little strip tease, which made me laugh, slowly letting his boxers fall to the ground.

                “Get ready, here comes the big reveal.” He stepped out of his boxers then turned around to face me again. “Tada! So tell me little lady, you like what you see?”

                I couldn’t say anything at all as I eyed him. It was not what I had imagined at all, which was not a bad thing in the least. It was a lot bigger than what I had expected or remembered. The only thing I could do was smile as I felt my heart beat quicken.

                “I’ll take that as a yes then.”

                He reached for his overnight bag and I finally spoke, “What are you looking for?”

                “Condoms.”

                “Rich we talked about this. You don’t need to use them. Not tonight.”

                “Are you positive? I mean I know we’re both ready to start a family but… this soon?”

                “Yes honey. If I do get pregnant I would like to have you there with me when our baby is born. I don’t think you would want to be on tour with Backstreet when our baby is being brought into this world.”

                “That’s if you do become pregnant.”

                “And the only way that will happen is if you stop looking for the condoms and just pick up from where you left off.”

                He stopped his search and connected his lips with mine again. His body pushed into mine slowly lowering me onto the bed. And from there I don’t want to go into detail but it was awesome and much better than the first time. It really did turn out to be a perfect day and a perfect night. 

                As we lay in bed in each other’s arms, I couldn’t help but stare at my wedding band and smile.

                “Good night Mrs. Lani. I love you Violet,” he whispered in my ear.

                I looked up at him and responded, “Good night my husband. I love you so much my Bud.”  

Chapter 13 by CarterFan28

Chapter 13 The Good News

*Kalie’s POV*

                “That was a really good party wasn’t it?” I asked my fiancé while we were making our way back to our hotel.

                “It was a blast,” he responded.

                “Heather was simply gorgeous in that dress and DJ Lani looked so happy. It really was a great wedding. I’m so happy for the both of them.”

                “It made me more excited for our wedding.” Nick looked at me and smiled.

                “I’m excited for it too.”

                “Six more months baby.”

                “I can’t believe that.”    

                “Me neither. But it will go by quickly.”   

                “Except for the part where you are going on tour.”

                About a month ago we found out that Backstreet was joining New Kids on The Block on tour. I know Nick loves touring but it was going to suck for me because I wouldn’t be going with him this time. At least this was going to be a short one for now. There was only two projected legs of the tour and they were going to have a decent break in between. Still I knew I was going to miss him especially with planning the rest of our wedding.

                We meet up with Heather and Rich the next day to drive to the airport together. Nick and I were flying home but the newlyweds were going to Disney World for their honeymoon. It just happened that we were on the same flight to Orlando.

                “Where do you want to go for our honey moon?” I asked him once we found our seats.

                He shrugged. “I haven’t thought about it honestly.”

                “Neither have I until finding out that the newlyweds have the same flight as we do.”

                “We could go to Disney.”

                “We have been to Disney so many times though. We live half an hour away from there. We can go whenever we want to.”

                “Ok then how about some place tropical? Like the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos,” he suggested.

                “How about we go on a cruise. I’ve never been on one before.”

                “You haven’t?”

                “Nope.”

                “That’s it. We have to go on a cruise now that you haven’t been before.”

                Once we got home Nick started to unpack and I logged onto my laptop.

                “Do you want me to start laundry now or wait until tomorrow honey?” Nick asked.

                “You could start it now if you want.”

                “What are you looking for?” he walked into the living room and watched me as I was surfing the internet.

                “Cruises for our honeymoon. How about a cruise to Turks and Caicos? I’ve never been there before but it looks gorgeous.”

                He came down and sat next to me and looked at the pictures I had pulled up, “Sounds good to me. It really doesn’t matter to me where we go as long as we are together.”

                “You sweet talker.”

                “Hey what can I say? I’m in a boy band.”

                I laughed a hardy laugh as I booked our honeymoon.

                April morphed into March before our eyes and it was time to drop Nick off at the airport so he could meet the rest of NKOTBSB to start their tour in Illinois.

                “I love you baby. I’ll be home before you know it.”

                “Yeah only to go back out again.”

                “Just remember six months until the big day.”

                “It’s always on my mind.”

                We kissed before he turned to board his plane. I always hated saying bye to him but I kept reminding myself that he’d be home in August.

*A Few Hours Later In Illinois* *Nick’s POV*

                The flight went a little quicker than we all thought and once everyone was checked into their hotel rooms we met up for dinner in the restaurant right down the street.

                After we placed our drink orders, DJ Lani’s cell phone rang. He answered it with a chuckle, “You miss me already babe?”

                Rich told us that it felt like they had just gotten home from their honeymoon in Disney when he had to leave his new wife to join us to be our sound manager on tour. I could tell from the smile on his face that the married life was treating him well.

                “What is it that you need to tell me Heather?” he asked. There was a pause and Rich’s jaw dropped. “You… you’re… what did you just say?!” There was another pause and then he said, “No way! This is unbelievable! Holy crap!”

                Everyone was looking at him and were curious as to what Heather had just told him.

                “Oh man!” He scanned the table and then said excitedly, “Heather’s pregnant! I’m going to be a dad!”

                The table rejoiced and we could hear Heather giggle when Rich took the phone away from his ear so she could hear our congratulations.

                He put the phone back to his ear and the smile on his face said it all but he kept repeating it to his wife, “Oh honey you don’t know how happy I am to hear that! I can’t believe we are going to be parents! Do you want me to come home? I’ll catch the next flight or I’ll rent a car and drive nonstop if you want me to.” She answered him and then he replied, “Are you positive? Ok. I’ll stay. Just send me a picture everyday so I can see your growth. I don’t want to miss anything Heather. I want to be there for doctor appointments and… and… well anything else that I have to be there for.”

                I was sitting next to him and I could hear Heather say, “Babe you’re working. Just continue to do your job. The only thing that really matters is if you are home for the birth. That’s all I really care about.”

                “But I want to be home to take care of you and help you.”

                “I’ll be in good hands. Stephanie will have it under control.”

                “Have you told her yet?”

                “Nope. You were the first. I’ll let you go back to whatever you were doing before I called. I have to call my sister and Uncle Dave and your parents and basically everyone else.”

                “Alright baby. I love you.”           

                “I love you too Daddy to be.”

                He smiled widely at that last line before he hung up.

                “Wow. Daddy to be,” I said to him patting him on the back, “Congratulations Rich.”

                “Thanks man. I can’t believe it.”

                Rich only stayed with us on tour for a few weeks because he couldn’t stand the idea of missing any of Heather’s doctor appointments and not watching her pregnant belly growing before his own eyes. We made it through without him but he got me thinking about starting a family of my own with Kalie.       

                Like I told my fiancée this leg of the NKOTBSB tour went by in the blink of an eye compared to some of the other tours. August 7, 2011 was the last show date of the North American leg and the next day everyone found themselves traveling home. While on the plane back to Florida, the only thing I could think of was how I was going to talk to Kalie about starting our own family.

                A few hours later Kalie welcomed me home with open arms when I walked through the front door after getting my bags out of the cab.

                “Welcome home honey.”

                “It’s good to be home.”

                “You came just in time for dinner.”

                “Oh really now? What did you make?”

                “Spaghetti. I figured it was something easy for you to heat up if you got home later and still wanted something to eat. But it’s still hot and I haven’t eaten yet so we can eat together.”

                We sat down at the table and made our usual small talk. She asked me about tour and I asked her about her kids at the dance studio. Then after a slight pause of awkward silence, I asked, “So what do you think about having kids Kayl?”

                She nearly had some of the iced tea she was drinking come out of her nose. She wiped her mouth and smirked, “I’m guessing Rich told you the good news huh?”

                I nodded my head, “I was there when she called him. Actually everyone was there having dinner.”

                “Let me guess… you haven’t stopped thinking about starting a family of our own since that day huh?”

                “You know me too well Kay.”

                She smiled again, “I’ve been thinking about it too.” She grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes, “I really want to have kids.”

                “Do you want to wait? Do you want to start trying now? I mean how soon do you want to start?”

                She chuckled, “I have waited this long to call you my fiancé I don’t want to wait that much longer to start calling you the father of my children. But I do want to wait until after we are married. Besides if I get pregnant on our wedding night or sometime close to that, the timing would be perfect. You’d be home to welcome your child into the world.”

                “So our starting date is October 1st?”

                “October 1st we’ll start trying for a family of our own.”

                “It’s a date,” I smiled at her and squeezed her hand.

                “It’s our wedding,” she responded with a gleaming grin.

Chapter 14 by CarterFan28

Chapter 14 Two Is Better Than One

***October 1st, 2011***

                “I cannot believe today is the day bro,” Aaron said to me as we shared a mirror in the groom’s dressing room of the yacht club.

                “I can’t believe it either Aaron. Honestly it won’t become reality for me until Kalie walks down that aisle toward me.”

                “Well I know for a fact that she’s not going to be a runaway bride.”

                “I’m not saying that. It just hasn’t really hit me yet that I’m getting married today.”

                “Hey, hey you’re looking sharp there Carter.”

                Aaron and I turned around to see Rich standing in the doorway.               

                “Hey man you made it! I wasn’t sure if DJ Lani was going to make an appearance since the Mrs. is pregnant,” I replied shaking his hand.

                He sighed, “Yeah the plane ride down here yesterday was not a pretty one with her morning sickness and she had to buy a dress that actually fit but we made it. It’s a good thing the ceremony is a later one because we both needed the extra sleep we got this morning.”

                “I could only imagine dude. Oh and before I forget, Rich this Aaron, Aaron this is Rich.”

                “It’s nice to meet you little Carter,” Rich extended his hand.

                “It’s nice to meet you too DJ Lani,” Aaron shook his hand.

                “You better go get your tux on. I don’t want to be late waiting on one of my groomsmen.”

                Rich chuckled, “Are you a groomzilla Nick?”

                I smirked, “No. But the wedding planner might have your head if you make this wedding late.”

                “I know that one. But I think I had it worse. Our wedding planner was the bride’s father figure.”

                “I got off easy didn’t I?”

                “Yes you did man.”

                Rich had just finished getting ready when Chris and Dan walked in the room. They were the first to be dressed and both ran up the stairs to catch a sneak peak at my bride. She actually let them in to her suite and took pictures with them. I have to admit that I was jealous that they got to see her before I did.

                “Are we all ready to go?” Dan asked.

                “The girls are ready and I think Lucy is going to be calling for us in about two minutes,” Chris added in.

                “We’re good to go,” I answered fixing my bow tie in the mirror one last time.

                “You’re nervous aren’t you?” Chris asked.

                I nodded my response.

                “Don’t worry about it. All grooms get like that. But trust me. It will all be worth it the moment she walks down that aisle toward you,” Dan patted my back. He has always been the more romantic type out of my guy friends, “She’s gorgeous Nick.”

                “And it will really be worth it when all the guests leave and it’s just you and her. If you know what I mean,” Chris nudged me.

                We all laughed at that just as Lucy came knocking at the door, “It’s time to get the groom to the alter and the groomsmen to line up with the bridesmaids. Get a move on fellas the sun is starting to set. It’s time to get you married Nickolas.”

                “Here we go,” I breathed out.

                “Hey Nick it’s easy. All you have to do is read your vows, repeat after the priest or whoever your official is, slip a ring on her finger and then you get to kiss her,” Rich nudged his elbow against my arm and I nodded my head again.

                I kept my composure as I took my spot at the alter next to the priest. I took in the sights around me. Lucy and her team did a really good job at decorating the boardwalk which jutted out over the ocean that we were getting married on.  The chairs were connected with white satin and peach, purple, and pink flowers added the right amount of color against all of the white. The ocean lay directly behind us and it was calm which was going to make it a lot easier for us to say our vows and actually have our guests hear them. Everyone was looking up and smiling at me. I noticed my parents were actually sitting rather close to each other and talking. I have no idea what they were talking about but at least they were talking and not screaming at each other.

                Then I started to realize my nerves when the wedding party proceeded down the aisle to join me. Brian, who was my best man, patted my shoulder and said, “Take a deep breath Frack. Your bride is on her way.”

                Our guests stood up as Kalie and her dad entered our view. The sun was just starting to set and I thought the sky was simply beautiful but it was no comparison to her.

                My heart stopped when I first saw her walking toward me. I swear everything seemed to be moving in slow motion around me. The sound of the waves gently lapping against the beach faded away and I could hear my heart beating.     

                The mermaid gown she wore fit her curves beautifully and I loved the pearl beading and metallic accents (trust me I learned a lot from watching all of those wedding shows with her). It made her look like a mermaid which was just perfect for our beach wedding. She was glowing in that dress.

                She made eye contact with me and I could see the shine in her eyes as she smiled that sweet little smile.

                The only thing I could say was, “Wow.”

                She read my lips and winked at me.

                I didn’t even hear the priest ask who was giving away the bride. I was stuck in a trance just looking at my bride. The next thing I know Mr. Smith kissed her forehead then gave me a handshake and said, “Welcome to the family son.”

                “Thanks Dad,” I answered warmly.

                We hugged then the priest continued with the ceremony.

                “Now it’s time for the vows. Kalie, ladies first.”

                “Nick, we have been waiting a long time for this day. Who would have ever known that our friendship would come to this. You have always been my best friend and I can’t tell you how excited I am to finally call you my husband. Our love has been tested through time and space and there is no one else on the face of this earth that I want to spend the rest of my life with. Bear with me here when I quote a Backstreet Boys’ song when I say that you are my safest place to hide and that you understand me like nobody can. I don’t know what I would do without you. I love you Nick, with all of my heart.”

                “My turn huh?” I looked at the priest and I heard chuckles erupt from our guests.

                “You better have something good son. Those vows are a tough act to follow,” the priest joked.

                “I have to say that performing in front of a sold out stadium show doesn’t make me nervous but I have the worst case of stage fright right now.” 

                The made Kalie laugh and I loosened up a little and continued, “Kalie what can I say? You truly are the love of my life and I can’t imagine living without you. We have shared so many memories, laughs, fears, tears… you are the only person who has seen me cry and you know how much I hate crying, like right now.” She giggled as she wiped a tear off my cheek and one from her own. “I may seem like I’m copying you but it’s true, you do understand me like nobody else can. You’re my best friend and I have never loved anyone more. I almost lost you once and it was the worst pain I’ve ever felt thinking that I would lose you from my life…” I choked back more tears then continued, “I never want to lose you again. You mean too much to me Kalie. I love you with all my heart.”

                “And now it’s time for the rings,” the priest said and the ring bearer, Kalie’s nephew, brought them to us.

                “I, Nickolas Gene Carter, take you, Kalie Marie Smith, as my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, for better or worse, ‘til death do us part. With this ring I vow to love you beyond the end of time.”

                “I, Kalie Marie Smith, take you, Nickolas Gene Carter, as my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, for better or worse, ‘til death do us part. With this ring I vow to love you beyond the end of time.”

                We looked up and smiled at each other then looked at the priest who then said with a smile on his face, “I now pronounce you husband and wife. Nickolas you may now kiss your lovely bride.”

                She let out an excited giggle before our lips met. That kiss was like no other that we shared before. It didn’t last too long but while it did so many memories of our life together ran through my mind. We parted and turned toward our guests who were giving us a standing ovation as we walked hand in hand back down the aisle one last time.

                Everyone made their way back into the yacht club for the reception. After we were announced as a newly married couple my sister Leslie and Kalie’s twin brother Kasey sang Two Is Better Than One for our first dance as man and wife.

                “You look so beautiful tonight Kalie,” I crooned to her as we swayed together.

                “And you, my husband, clean up pretty good yourself.” We chuckled then leaned our foreheads against each other’s.

                Our siblings did a great job singing our song but I really wasn’t paying attention. Kalie had me preoccupied. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her and even though Leslie’s voice sounded great as she was singing I was focusing on the soft sound of my bride’s voice as she sang along. If I could stay in that moment with her forever I would.      

                All of our guests had a blast during the rest of the reception and Kalie and I did too but it went by too quickly. It was like we blinked our eyes and we were saying goodnight to the last guest to leave.

                “There’s a limo waiting for you two outside to take you home,” Lucy, our wedding planner, said as we were walking out the door.   

                “Thank you Lucy. Thank you for everything. This wedding was amazing!” Kalie hugged her.

                “It was my pleasure Kay. Congratulations you two. May you always be happy.”

                Once in the limo we took one look at each other and automatically started to make out and we continued to until we felt the limo stop moving in front of our house. I tipped the driver then practically ran into our house after my bride.

                “I don’t think I have ever seen you this turned on baby,” I said with a chuckle in my voice.

                “What can I say? I’m loving the way you look in that tux and we did just have an amazing wedding and the night isn’t over yet. Plus I’m feeling pretty sexy in this dress, well actually the little number I have on under the dress.”

                I could feel my body temperature rise just thinking about what was under that dress, “Well then what are we waiting for?”

                “I don’t know. But I’m ready to go if you are.” She winked at me then grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs.

*Kalie’s POV*

                I’ll admit it, I was nervous! But at the same time the only thing I wanted to do was get out of my dress and well, to be frank, I wanted to go all night with my new husband. (I still can’t believe that Nick is now my husband!)  I was horny, no other way to put it, and I sure as shit knew what was on Nick’s mind.

                When we got to the top of the stairs I stopped before we walked into the bedroom, “You didn’t carry me through the threshold when we got home. So are you going to carry me through this thresh hold?” I asked with a giggle in my voice.

                “If you want me to,” he replied giving me that sexy one sided grin that just drives me wild.

                He scooped me up in his arms then kicked the door open. I giggled as he carried me in the room.

                I couldn’t stop giggling as he placed me back on my feet. I do that a lot whenever Nick and I became intimate. He just made me feel so good and I have no idea why but I always became a little nervous whenever we got intimate.  

                “What’s so funny?” Nick chuckled.          

                “You. You’re excited aren’t you honey?”

                “Well aren’t you excited?”          

                “Of course I am but you’re just too funny. It’s not like we haven’t had sex before.”

                “But this is our wedding night baby! Our wedding night!”

                “I know,” I replied calmly trying to play coy and hide my nerves. “Why don’t we take a minute to, I don’t know, light the candles in here, spread some rose pedals, let me slip into something a little more comfortable?”     

                His eyes lit up as I looked at him and flashed a sexy, little smirk at him.  

                “You want rose pedals, and candles lit?”              

                I nodded my head.

                “You got it babe!”

                He jumped up and quickly lit the candles that were placed around the room. I watched him as I took off my shoes then got up from the bed and placed them in their box. I took two purple roses from my bouquet and handed them to him. I had plenty of roses to dry and press for our wedding album. He didn’t waste any time ripping off the pedals and throwing them on the bed and on the floor adding to the romantic mood of the room.

                “Ok, candles are lit, pedals are spread. All we need to do is take off this dress,” he stepped back to me and started to unzip my dress.

                I looked over my shoulder at him, “The lights kinda defeat the purpose of the candles don’t ya think?”

                He took one giant leap-step to the light switch and another one back to me.

                “You’re right that does make a big difference. Anything else?”

                I laughed at him again, “You just can’t wait another second can you?”

                He shook his head, “No I can’t. I finally get to consummate my wedding with my beautiful bride.” I looked into his eyes as he stood in front of me and placed his hands on my hips, “I can’t believe I just said that. I can’t believe we just got married and we’re leaving for our honeymoon tomorrow.”

                My fingers ran up his neck and started to massage the back of his head. “I can’t believe it either. But we only have one wedding night after all. Let’s not waste it.”

                He brushed a loose curl from my face, “Don’t be nervous Kayl.”

                “You know me too well,” I giggled out some of my nerves.

                “I do. That’s why I married you. But it’s not like it’s our first time. We have done this before you know.”

                That made me laugh, “I just want tonight to be perfect for the both of us.”

                His lips touched my forehead, “It will be. It already has been. It still is. We’re married. We’re in love. That’s my definition of perfect.”

                We gazed into each other’s eyes and man did his eyes look gorgeous in the candle light. The stare was hypnotizing and only lasted for a few seconds before our lips met.

                The kiss was sweet at first then it got deeper and more sexual.

                When we came up for air I whispered over his lips, “Unzip my dress. I don’t think I can wait any longer.”

                He flashed his sexy one sided grin at me that drove me crazy and crashed his lips onto mine again. His fingers fumbled around with the hook on my dress as I untied his bow tie. While we kissed he unzipped my dress and I pulled off his shirt exposing his undershirt. The dress fell to the ground and I tugged on his belt. His pants fell and we stopped kissing so I could step out of my dress to hang it up. Nick just kicked his shirt and pants aside.

                We turned back to each other and I found that I couldn’t take another step closer to my new husband. Nick’s stare seemed to paralyze me. I felt my nerves start to build again when it hit me that he was taking in the white lace push up bra and panties I was wearing. I had them hidden from him for a long time saving them for tonight.               

                It’s just Nick. Why are you so nervous? I thought to myself. His face was emotionless though. Maybe he didn’t like them on me.

                I swallowed forcing myself into my “enticing” voice asked, “Well, do like what you see?” 

                He nodded slowly, “I don’t like what I see, I love what I see. I love what you’re wearing, I love your body, I love your soul, I especially love how you’re my bride.”

                I bit my lower lip in the way I knew drove him crazy. I walked toward him like I was performing a Rumba, the most sensual ball room dance.

                He smiled, “And have I mentioned how much I love how sexy you are? Especially when you do your Rumba walk.”

                I giggled as I continued to Rumba walk into his arms. We kissed again. And like before it started off soft and sweet, then turned deep and sensual.

                His fingers crept behind my ear and pushed my face closer to his making the kiss as deep as possible. I messaged his head with my nails just as he liked.  

                “Are you turned on yet?” he whispered over my lips.

                “I am but I’d be even more turned on when you expose those abs and pecks of yours.”

                He kissed my neck then ripped off his beater, “How’s that?”

                “That’s better,” I ran my hands over his now naked torso. I loved the feel of his soft skin stretched tightly over his muscles.

                He pushed me gently on the bed and my body trembled, but in a good way, as Nick’s slender fingers ran down my shoulders and onto my back to unhook my bra. He flung the white lace bra behind him not caring where it landed. He slowly started kissing my skin. The kisses started traveling down my neck, in between my boobs and onto my stomach. Every touch was making me shiver but I never wanted the shivers to stop. He kissed the scar on my ribs from where I had been shot.

                His thumb gingerly rubbed it, “I meant what I said in my vows. The day you were shot was the scariest day in my life. I never want to lose you again, until death do us part.”

                I raised myself off of the bed and ran my fingers through his hair, “Don’t think about that day. Don’t pay attention to that scar. It doesn’t matter tonight. It’s our wedding night so let’s treat it that way.” I lowered myself back onto the bed and Nick’s lips continued to delicately touch my body journeying to my panties. His fingers gently tugged them down and they too were flung behind him.

                Afterward I cleaned myself up a little bit then flopped back on the bed. Nick did the same and crawled onto the bed. He laid behind me and draped his arm around my waste. Our breathing finally slowed back to normal as we just relaxed there watching the candle light flicker on the walls. I wanted to flip over and face my groom but I just couldn’t move.

                He rested his chin on my shoulder, “I still can’t believe we’re married.”

                I chuckled and played with my ring, “We have the rings to prove it.”

                He kissed my shoulder then we just laid there until the candles started to burn themselves out one by one.

                “I better go blow those out and open the window,” Nick commented.

                It didn’t take him that long to finish blowing out the candles and he opened the window quickly to prevent the smoke alarm from going off. I, in the meantime, sat up.

                “How about we take a nice relaxing bath in the Jacuzzi tub?” I suggested. That Jacuzzi tub was the best thing in the master bathroom.

                “That sounds perfect.”

                I got off the bed and found myself to be really sore. I walked gingerly into the bathroom and heard Nick laugh.

                “What’s so funny?” I looked back at him as I turned on the water.

                “You a little sore there babe?”

                I nodded my head, “Just a little.”

                “Sorry about that,” he joined me in the bathroom.

                “Don’t be sorry,” I replied wrapping my arms around his neck. “It was totally worth being sore.”               

                The water filled the tub quickly and Nick helped me slip into the steamy water. We sat with the jets on for a good while. The water relieved most of my soreness.

                After we dried each other off, we walked hand in hand back to bed.

                We cuddled especially close to each other that night. I didn’t know why and I honestly didn’t care why. I just loved being held so close to him. The feel of his heart beat against mine, his fingers messaging the back of my neck, and his warm breath hitting my forehead was acting as a lullaby for me.           

                Just as I was about to doze off he whispered, “Was today and tonight everything you wanted?”

                I lifted my hand to run my fingers through is hair, “Every single moment of this day was perfect. We just had the best sex we’ve ever had and I married the man of my dreams. I couldn’t have asked for a better day. And now I get to fall asleep in your arms. Was everything perfect for you too?”

                “Perfect is not even the word Kalie. Good night my wife.”

                “Good night my husband. I love you Nick.”

                “And I love you Kalie.”

                We gave each other one final kiss before falling asleep.    

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11115