A Romantic Surprise by colorguard_diva
Summary:  photo ARS_Banner_Resized.jpg
Aspen decides to surprise AJ with a romantic evening. What happens when she ends up being the one surprised?

Go back in time with AJ and Aspen.

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 11779 Read: 10759 Published: 08/23/14 Updated: 09/02/14

1. Chapter 1 by colorguard_diva

2. Chapter 2 by colorguard_diva

3. Chapter 3 by colorguard_diva

4. Chapter 4 by colorguard_diva

5. Chapter 5 by colorguard_diva

6. Chapter 6 by colorguard_diva

7. Chapter 7 by colorguard_diva

8. Chapter 8 by colorguard_diva

9. Chapter 9 by colorguard_diva

Chapter 1 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 1

By Rachel

2014

 

“Jade, can you hand me a rose?” I asked impatiently.

My sister walked across the room and handed me four roses. Then she flopped down on the loveseat in the corner of the bedroom. “You know you could have just bought rose petals.”

“But I wanted it to be authentic, Willow.” I sighed. It was Valentine’s Day and I had something special planned for AJ when he got home. Jade was being a good sister and helping me. Well at least she was trying.

“Geesh, who peed in your Cheerios?” She remarked rudely, mainly because I called her by her first name. I rolled my eyes at her and continued pulling petals off the roses.

Once I finished spreading them around room, I walked around replacing all the rose petals that weren’t in the right place. Then I started placing candles throughout the room. When I finished, Jade was fast asleep.

She was currently pregnant and just starting to show. I was jealous of my older sister. AJ and I had been trying since before we got married to have a baby. Unfortunately we had no luck. Both of us had been to doctors to see if anything was wrong, but we were in perfect health. About two years ago, I decided to leave it in God’s hands. If we were blessed to have another child it would happen.

Gently, I took a seat beside her trying not to wake her. My thoughts were on AJ. I hoped he would be surprised with what I had planned for tonight. I had taken a lot of time planning a romantic evening for the two of us.

“Geesh Red. We’re you going to let me sleep all afternoon?” She said with a yawn.

“No, but I know how tired you are.” I replied softly.

“But I don’t think you want me to be over here while you and AJ do the deed.” She laughed when she saw the look on my face. “Ah, Red. There’s nothing wrong with fucking your man senseless.”

My face burned red. “Twig, stop!”

“Fine.” She sighed. “Make love to the man of your dreams. Is that better?”

“Umm….well…sure. Let’s not talk about my sex life.” It wasn’t that I was uncomfortable with talking about my sex. Wait, yes I was. My sex life was personal. It wasn’t an exciting as Jade and Lilly’s sex life. I was happy and so was AJ. What more did we need?

Jade let the subject drop, which made me happy. “Well, I better go pick up the girls from school. I’ll have Reese call you in the morning.” She stood up.

“Are you sure you don’t mind Reese staying over. What about you and Nick?”  I got off the loveseat.

“Calleigh is excited about the sleepover. Nick and I are fine. We already celebrated Valentine’s Day. Just relax and enjoy your night with your stud.”

After my sister left, I quickly slipped into my red dress. Then I made sure that everything was ready for dinner. Now all I had to do was wait for AJ to come home. He should be home in the next hour.

I took a seat on the couch and read a magazine to pass the time. Usually I had the patience of a saint, but not today. I’m really antsy. I just want AJ home. I looked up at the clock. He’s running late. I got up to check on dinner.

I turned down the temperature on the roasted rack of lamb I was making. No need for it to dry out. I set the towel down on the counter.

I prayed that AJ was late due to traffic. He knew I was planning something for tonight. I was starting to get upset, but I forced myself to calm down. There was no need to get upset because he was a half hour late. Instead I sent him a text message.

When I got no reply after twenty minutes, I started to get concerned. I reached for my phone. “Jade, has Nick come home yet?”

“Hey sis. Nick’s been home for twenty minutes. Shouldn’t you be romancing your husband?” She asked curiously over the noise. I could hear Reese and Calleigh carrying on.

“He’s not home yet. I texted and he never responded.” I was frustrated.

“I’m sure he got caught up in traffic and his phone died. He’s notorious for forgetting to charge it. Or maybe he’s off buying you some sexy lingerie. Maybe whips and chains.” My sister laughed at her own comment. I didn’t think it was funny.

“You’re no help, Jade. I’m going to go in case he tries to call me.” I hung up on my sister.

Three hours later and no word from my husband, I was livid. Dinner was officially dried out. My hair was flat and my makeup wore off. I turned off the downstairs lights and went upstairs. I put my fleece pajamas on and got into bed. It might have only been seven thirty, but I wanted the day to be over.

I couldn’t believe AJ. Where could he have gone? Was he in an accident? Was he cheating on me? He had never been this inconsiderate in all our marriage. Maybe he was leaving me and it was easier to run away. My imagination was getting the best of me.

Just as I was getting under the covers, the bedroom door opened. In walked my husband with a single rose in his hand. I chose to ignore him and got into bed.

“Aspen this is for you.” He slid down on the ground beside the bed and gave me the rose. I didn’t accept it. “I’m sorry that I was running late. I left my phone at the studio. When I went back it was dead. I was going to call you because I got stuck in traffic coming back.”

I turned over, so that I wasn’t looking at him. I was pissed. His story sounded like a bunch of lies. I didn’t believe him. Why would he lie to me?

“Sweetheart.”  AJ started rubbing my back. I scooted towards the middle of the bed, so he wouldn’t be able to touch me. “I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean for this to happen. Let me make it up to you. We can go downstairs, and I’ll make you dinner.”

I jumped out of the bed. AJ fell on his ass in shock. “Leave Me Alone!”

“What is wrong? I didn’t think you would be this pissed at me. It wasn’t intentional.” He said as he got up.

“What’s wrong? You really have to ask me that? You just don’t get it, so there is no need to explain.” I stomped out of the room.

I went into the kitchen and started to clean up the mess I called dinner. What a waste of a perfectly cooked meal. I scraped the lamb into the garbage can. I was so mad I was ready to break the dish in my hand.

“Aspen, baby, please don’t be mad at me.”  AJ whispered in my ear, as he wrapped her arms around me. I tried to shove him away, but it wasn’t working. His lips moved to my neck. It felt good, but I wasn’t going to let him off that easy.

“STOP! You can’t just walk in here, kiss me and think everything is alright.”  I yelled. He let go of me. I moved towards the sink. “I planned a romantic evening for us.”

“Sweetheart, I am sorry. You know I would never do anything to hurt you intentionally.” He said sincerely.

“But you did.” I started toward the living room. “I’m not over that fact. I just want to be alone.”

I collapsed on the couch. I finally let it all out. Tears streamed down my face and clouded my vision. I was much too emotional over AJ being late. He wasn’t lying, so why was I so pissed? Maybe I was trying too hard. I was never the romantic type. So, why was I trying so hard? Just because it was Valentine’s Day didn’t mean I had to change who I was. AJ loved me for me. I was a fool.

He sat down beside me and took my hand in his. We sat quietly both lost in our thoughts. I didn’t want to make the first move. I’d probably do something stupid.

“Aspen, I want to thank you for the romantic evening you planned for us. I feel guilty for ruining it. You went to a lot of trouble to make it perfect.” He said thoughtfully. He kissed my hand.

I leaned into his body. “It wasn’t your fault. I overreacted. You can’t control traffic.”

“Yeah, but I feel like a jerk.” He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close to him.

“Don’t. I’ve just been stressed lately. It’s got me feeling moodier than normal.”

“I know things have been rough. We both want a baby. I know seeing Jade pregnant is hard on you. We need to get away from everything. You need to relax. I can feel how tense you are.” AJ rubbed my arm trying to get me to relax.

“I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Maybe weren’t meant to have another child.” I sighed, not wanting to talk about it.

“You know we can always adopt.”  AJ said carefully.

“I know.”

Our conversation stalled from there. This was a touchy subject for me. I wasn’t opposed to adoption, but I wanted to be pregnant. I wanted AJ to experience that since he didn’t get to with Reese. Other times I felt like a failure. There was nothing medically wrong with me and yet I couldn’t get pregnant for the past few years.

My stomach started to growl. AJ looked at me and started to laugh. “That was loud. I think you need to eat.”

“Well, dinner is in the garbage. I guess its peanut butter and jelly.” I joked.

AJ pulled me up from the couch. “I have a better idea. Go get dressed and I’ll take you out to dinner.”

“I’m a mess.” I ran my hands through my hair.

“You look beautiful to me. Put your hair in a ponytail or a braid. Throw on jeans. I can’t have my wife starving.”

Fifteen minutes later, I was dressed and putting on my shoes. My stomach kept rumbling. I couldn’t believe how hungry I was. I looked at myself in the mirror, I didn’t look that bad.

I made my way downstairs. AJ was on the phone with my sister. “Jade, she totally fell for it. Thanks for helping.” I wondered what they were planning behind my back. I decided to play cool.

“You ready?” I grabbed my purse.

“Yes, let’s go.” He takes my hand and we head outside.

I saw a limo sitting in the driveway. What was going on? I looked towards my husband in confusion.  AJ gave me the biggest shit eating grin I’ve ever seen. He continued to drag me to the limo. I gained composure as the driver opens the door.  AJ pushed me inside.

“What’s going on? Why are we in a limo?” I asked.

“We’re going away for the week.” AJ had the biggest smile on his face.

“You can’t be serious. I didn’t even pack. What about Reese? We just can’t take a week’s vacation out of the blue.” I started to panic. My husband always had some hair brain idea.

“Relax. Our luggage is already on the plane. Reese is staying with Jade and Nick. She’ll be fine. I explained everything to her before I came home tonight.”

I didn’t know whether to be excited or mad. I took a few deep breaths before I spoke. “You had this planned. You purposely ruined my dinner!!” I exclaimed.

“I just wanted to surprise you.” He gave me a sheepish grin. I rolled my eyes at him. “You’re going to love it. I promise.” He kissed me deeply.

“You’re a jerk. It’s a good thing I love you.” I pinched his cheek. “So my sister was in on this.”

“Yes, she was.”

“So where are you taking me?”

“It’s a surprise!” He laced his fingers with mine.

“You know I hate surprises. Tell me or I will refuse to go.” I said seriously.

“Liar.” He stuck his tongue out at me. I returned the gesture. “Fregate Island.”

I was deeply touched by the fact the AJ was taking us back to where we spent our honeymoon. Maybe this is what we needed.

 

 

Chapter 2 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 2

By Rachel

2014

 

AJ left no stone unturned when it came to this romantic vacation. He got us a private jet. We enjoyed a romantic dinner and we were now watching a movie.

“Mr. and Mrs. McLean, I just wanted to let you know we are going to have to land in New York. There’s a snow storm and all flights are going to be grounded indefinitely. It will be impossible to get you to your destination” The pilot explained.

“Thank you. Do you know how long this storm is going to last?” AJ inquired.

“From the current weather report it looks like New York is going to be dumped on for at least another eight to ten hours. There will be thousands of delays on the east coast. We should arrive in New York within fifteen minutes.”

Once the pilot retreated back to the cockpit, we sat in silence. AJ looked frustrated. I felt bad because he went to so much trouble to make this romantic vacation happen. Now everything was ruined. Worry took over and I went into full panic mode.

“Aspen, I’m sorry.” He said quietly.

“It’s okay. You can’t control the weather.” I took his hand in mine. I didn’t like seeing him upset. I forced myself to remain calm for AJ’s sake.

“Fuck. I tried to make this trip special.” He said bitterly. “Every time I try to do something nice, it gets messed up.”

I pressed my lips to his face. “Sweetcheeks, every moment with you is special. You know I don’t need fancy trips and gifts. I have your love that is enough.”

“Aspen, you mean the world to me. I just want to show you how much I love you. I want you to feel special.”  Our lips met for a searing kiss. It seemed like forever since we kissed like that.

 

 

Thirty minutes later we were standing in the middle of the airport. It was packed with stranded fliers. AJ was holding our one suitcase. Knowing our destination, there wasn’t anything in our luggage that would be suitable for a snowstorm in New York City.

AJ guided us to a group of empty seats. We both sat down. No words were shared between us. I looked out the window at the blizzard of snow. Chills ran down my spine. I was not a cold weather girl.

“AJ, I better call Jade and let her know what’s going on.” I stood up and moved somewhere a little more private.

“What do you want?” Nick answered the phone breathlessly.

“It’s Aspen. Can I talk to Jade?” I knew I had interrupted something, when I heard Nick mumbling obscenities while give the phone to my sister.

“Red, shouldn’t you be on your way to becoming a member of the mile high club?”

“Stop it Jade.” I said irritably. “I just wanted to let you know that our plans have changed. We’re stuck in New York due to snow.”

“That sucks, Aspen. What are you going to do?” Jade asked curiously.

I sighed. Worried started to set in my mind, which made my body feel tense. “I guess we are going to wait out the storm. I’m not really sure. AJ hasn’t mentioned what he wants to do.”

“I think you should make the best of it.” She started giggling. Nick was trying to distract her. “Go have sex in the snow or do it in the bathroom. Do something spontaneous for once.”

“Damn it, Jade. You’re not making this any easier. We don’t even have clothes for the weather. I can’t wear a bikini in the snow. Use some common sense.” I replied sharply.

“Geesh, Aspen. Chill the fuck out. That’s what this whole vacation was for. I feel bad for AJ if this is how you’re going to act.”

“Fine, Willow.” I used her first name to piss her off.  She hated her name. “I just wanted to let you know what’s going on. Go back to whatever you were doing with Nick. I’ll call you tomorrow with further details.” I ended the phone call.

I turned around and bumped into my husband’s chest. “Aspen, is everything okay?”

“NO! Everything is not okay. We’re stuck in an airport with no winter clothes. We have nowhere to go until the snow stops. Who the hell knows when it’s going to stop?”

AJ grabbed my arm. “Baby, you need to calm down. So what we’re stranded at the airport. This whole thing was for us to spend time together. It doesn’t matter if we are on a beautiful island or in an airport. I just want to spend time with my beautiful wife.”

From the look in his eye, I could tell he was sincere. What was my problem? Why couldn’t I be more carefree about things? Maybe Jade was right. I needed to relax. It seemed like I never could just take a moment and enjoy.

“AJ, I’m sorry.” I looked down at the ground. “I don’t know what is wrong with me. It’s…just…just that, I find it hard to live in the moment.”

Before AJ could speak, I pressed my body against his. My lips connected with his lips. Slowly I sucked on his bottom lip. His hands snaked around my body and planted themselves on my butt. Normally, I would have removed AJ’s hands, but I decided to be spontaneous. My tongue probed his mouth. We stood in the airport making out until we were breathless.

“Aspen, I promise this vacation is going to be one you’ll never forget. We’re going to have a lot of fun. You need to promise me one thing.” AJ gave me a Cheshire grin. 

“And what would that be?” I smiled up at him. His devilish smile was driving me crazy. I wanted my husband badly, but we were stuck in an airport.

“I want you to let your hair down this week. Just live in the moment. Be free.” He led me over to our seats.

“I promise to try my hardest. You know this isn’t going to be easy for me.” I bit my lip nervously as I looked out the window.

AJ moved in front of me, blocking my view. He cupped my chin and looked me in the eyes. “I won’t make you do anything that is uncomfortable. I love you Aspen just the way you are.”

“I love you, Sweetcheeks.”

 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading!!!
Chapter 3 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 3

By Rachel

2014

 

Trying to sleep in an airport was not an easy task.  AJ had gotten us coffee and I was wired. He was currently, snoring softly. I leaned against him and he wrapped his arm around me.

 

“I thought you were asleep.” I whispered softly. Everyone around us was sleeping.

 

“Just napping. As soon as I felt your body against mine, I woke up.” He nuzzled against me. I could feel his beard tickle my cheek.

 

"Go back to sleep." I molded myself against his body. A contented sigh fell out of my mouth.

 

"I'm not tired. Aspen, I'm sorry that our plans got ruined." He pressed a kiss to my head. "I wanted to spend the week reliving our honeymoon."

 

My face felt flushed thinking about what happened on that island. "What part do you want to relive?" I asked curiously.

 

AJ played with a strand of my hair. "All of it. My favorite part was our private picnic on the beach. You've been so tense lately. I wish that you could relax a bit now and again."

 

I know I should be offended by AJ's comment, but I'm not. He's being honest. Up until I was about nine I was as carefree as my sisters. Since then, I become serious to the point that I didn't let guard down often. Our honeymoon was an exception. 

 

"Baby, I didn't say that to hurt your feelings. I just..."

 

I interrupted. "You didn't. I know that I'm not always the easiest to get along with. Then when any stress is added, I become a bear. It's not easy for me to share my feelings. I appreciate that you put up with me." I wiped a tear from my eye.

 

AJ sat up forcing me up, too. I'm afraid to look into his brown eyes. He'll see that my strength is just a facade. I'm not as strong as people think I am. 

 

My husband reached out and took my hand. Hesitantly, I looked up at him giving him a slight smile. "I don't put up with you. I love you Aspen! Everything about you. No woman can measure up to you." He looked deep into my eyes. I could feel my walls crumbling. "It's just that I worry about you. All I want is for you to be happy."

 

“I am happy. My life became complete when you walked into it.” I was getting all sappy. Normally I wasn’t that type of woman. Sure, I cared deeply about everything, but I didn’t always share the emotions I was feeling. My sisters were one of the few people that got to see it. It was still a work in progress when it came to AJ.

 

“I still remember that day.” His eyes shined with mischief. “Cream cheese frosting is still my favorite.”

 

I giggled. “I still can’t believe that you licked me.”

 

“You were looking so beautiful that day. I wanted to do more than just lick you.” AJ pulled me onto his lap.

 

“You’re such a liar.” I swatted his chest. “My hair was a mess. Damn, Lilly called me a human cupcake. There was no way you thought I was beautiful.”

 

“Honestly, seeing you all natural, doing what you love is a turn on. It’s the sexier than seeing you all dolled up.”

 

“Good. For your next awards, I’m going to go in my grubbiest pair of sweats, with no makeup and a messy ponytail.” I quipped. My husband was being very silly tonight. I was enjoying every minute of it.

 

“You can wear whatever you want.” He kissed my nose. “Now you better get some rest, dear wife.  As soon as we get a hotel room, I plan on keeping you very busy.”

 

I settled into my husband, leaning my head on his shoulder. “I love you, Sweetcheeks.”

 

“Love ya back, babe.”

 

 

 

A few hours later, I woke up to AJ snoring in my ear. Plus my neck was starting to get sore from lying on top of my husband. Gently, I removed myself from his body.  I walked over to the window to check on the weather. 

 

The snow had stopped, but the runway was covered in snow. I assumed most flights would still be cancelled. Hopefully we would be able to find a hotel and a taxi that could transport us into the city.

 

Suddenly, I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me. I nearly jumped out of my skin, until I realized it was AJ. I leaned back into his body; instantly his lips were on my neck.

 

“What are you doing?” I exhaled. I wasn’t one for public displays of affection, but I decided to live in the moment.

 

“Loving my gorgeous wife.” He nipped at my neck, as his hands moved down to my hips. The touch of his mouth on my earlobe sent shivers through my body. “I think we should go into the bathroom and relive the moment when we officially got engaged.”

 

I could feel the blush creeping up my body. I still couldn’t believe what happened in the bathroom of that restaurant. There was no way I was going to do that in an airport restroom.  “You’re as bad as Jade.”

 

“Now you got me curious.” He raised an eyebrow at me, as we went back to our seats. “How the hell am I like your sister?”

 

I chuckled at his question. “You act like that’s a bad thing.” I gave him a little shove. “You both have a crush on Nick.”

 

His eyes grew and I started laughing hysterically. I looked away to make myself stop. Every time I looked at AJ, I would start to giggle. He had an amused look on his face.

 

“It’s a good thing I love you. Now what’s the real reason I’m like your sister.”

 

“Before I hung up on her last night, she told me to have sex in the bathroom.”  I leaned back in my chair to get comfortable.

 

AJ moved toward the edge of his seat. “I think your sister has the right idea, but not in one of these bathrooms. They are too public. I’m going to find us a perfect bathroom to have sex in this weekend. We are going to make a new memory this weekend.”

 

My mouth formed a huge O. I knew he was being serious. What did I get myself into? I knew I shouldn’t have opened my mouth.

 

“Aspen, I’m really enjoying this trip. It’s nice seeing you relaxed and having fun. You’re carefree.” My husband gave me the biggest smile. “McDonald’s just opened. Let’s get some breakfast.”

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 4

By Rachel

2014

 

After we finished eating breakfast, I realized that we hadn’t cancelled our trip. AJ was busy taking pictures of himself for Twitter and Instagram. I waited until he was done to ask him about it.

 

“AJ, did you call to cancel trip? You know were not going to make it.” I asked while playing with a napkin.

 

“Not yet. It’s still too early to call.” He replied casually. It irked me that he was so relaxed about the whole thing. We were total opposites in this aspect. I worried about everything, and AJ didn’t.

 

“Will you be able to get refunded for the trip?” I questioned.

 

He chuckled lightly. “Don’t worry about it.” He took my hand. “Let’s go find a corner and be romantic.”

 

I removed my hand from his. I wasn’t finished with this conversation. “This trip had to have cost a lot of money. We should definitely make sure that we are able to get some of it back.”

 

“Relax, Aspen. You don’t need to worry about everything.” He sighed. “I have it all taken care of. It’s not like you need to worry about money.”

 

I looked away from my husband. I hated when he made me feel like I’m not part of the relationship. Sure, he planned this trip and I appreciated it. I hated the fact that he though it was okay to throw away money because we had more than enough.

 

“Aspen, look at me” He waited until I was looking at him to continue to speak. “Sweetheart, this trip is for you to relax. I don’t want you to worry about anything. You worry about everything. Just forget about it all.”

 

“It’s not in my nature.” I whispered while staring at the table. Sometimes it felt like my husband didn’t understand me. We were so different in so many ways. At times I wondered how our marriage has lasted this long.

 

“I know, dear. You are the only Backstreet wife I know that still uses coupons.” He chuckled lightly.

 

I glared at my husband. He thought his comment was funny. Unfortunately, it was another dig on my personality. I tried my best to make sure my family had what they needed. It was sad when wasn’t appreciated.

 

“Well excuse the hell out of me. Throw your money away. Spend it on frivolous things and then in five years we can live on the street. Then you can do late night infomercials to pay off your debt.”

 

“Why do you have to be such a bitch?”  AJ snarled at me. He had to add fuel to the fire with his comment.

 

“I’ve been like this since before you married me. If you didn’t like who I was then, you shouldn’t have married me.” I slid from my seat and walked away.

 

I made my way to the restroom, since AJ couldn’t follow me inside. I leaned against the wall and took a few deep breaths. I caught my reflection in the mirror.

 

Did I really look this old? What did AJ see in me? It couldn’t be my looks. There were plenty of beautiful women at his beck and call. Apparently it wasn’t my personality. Nothing I did was right in my husband’s eyes. AJ and I were polar opposites. We either got along or fought.

 

Our relationship was different from my sisters’ and their husbands. They were full of passion and romance.  AJ and I were more like friends or roommates most of the time. We didn’t seem to have the spark that other couples had.  Even when we attempted to ignite that passion, it always went wrong.

 

“Excuse me, miss. Are you Aspen?” An older woman asked.

 

“That’s me.” I replied.

 

 Your husband wanted me to check on you. Are you okay?”  She inquired

 

“I’m fine. Thanks.” I rushed out of the bathroom feeling embarrassed.  AJ was standing near the restrooms with our luggage. I loved him more than life itself, but was that enough?

 

Before I walked toward my husband, I pushed my feelings aside. Our trip would be ruined. It was easier at times to pretend they didn’t exist. I had been doing it for years and no one was the wiser. AJ hadn’t notice before, he wouldn’t notice now.

 

“Aspen, I’m sorry.” He wrapped himself around me.

 

“It’s okay.” I lied. “I shouldn’t be so touchy.  I know I need to relax. Let’s start over.”

 

Before I know what’s happening, AJ’s lips were on mine. This wasn’t a simple peck on the lips. It’s downright hot. His tongue slid between my lips. I pushed my body against his. I needed to feel him. Our tongues were slowly teasing each other. AJ’s hands moved underneath my sweater. He rubbed my back sensuously. I moaned into his mouth. Sexual energy coursed through my body. I wanted my husband. My hands slowly moved to his ass causing his erection to connect with my body. After all these years, it was still an amazing feeling.

 

“Get a room.” Someone yelled.

 

I pulled back from my husband. His eyes were filled with carnal lust. Both of us forgot that we were in a crowded airport. Public displays of affection were rare for us. I didn’t mind a brief kiss on the lips, but anything more was personal. Neither of us said anything for a long time.

 

“Aspen…” AJ broke the silence. I grabbed his hand and pulled him over to some seats.

 

“AJ, I don’t regret what just happened. In fact, I’m turned on.” I gave him a smile.

 

“B…B…But…” He sputtered. I started chuckling. It was fun seeing him stunned.

 

“Usually I hate PDA, but I decided to live in the moment.” I placed my hand on his thigh. “I think I’m starting to like it.”

 

“Well, I think this vacation is just what we needed. Aspen, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings earlier. I love everything about you. There’s no other woman for me. You’ve got to believe that, babe.” He said sincerely.

 

“I know you love me. Sometimes, I’m my hardest critic. I want to relax and just be spontaneous. It’s just not in my nature. Thankfully you go out of your way to make me forget about being a control freak.”  I hold back the tears that are threatening to fall.

 

“Aspen. You’re not a control freak.”

 

“Stop. I know who I am and most of the time I’m okay with it.” I continued rubbing his thigh, moving my hand higher. “I’m getting tired of being in this airport. Right now, I think you should find us a hotel. I want to make love to my husband.”

 

He grabbed his phone from his pocket. “I’m on it.”

 

“Good. I’m going to look around the shops. Love ya.” With that I walk towards the stores leaving AJ to find us a hotel. Hopefully AJ and I won’t fight the rest of our vacation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Hope your enjoying the story. ~ Rachel
Chapter 5 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 5

By Rachel

2014

 

When we finally got to our hotel later that day, I flopped onto the huge king sized bed. It felt heavenly to lay there. AJ and I had spent the day shopping for winter clothes. AJ crawled over towards me. He pushed my hair away from my face. His thumb gently caressed my cheek.

 

“Sweetcheeks, thank you for everything. I’m glad that we are able to spend time alone together.” I turned on my side to face him.

 

“We need to do it more often. My schedule has been jammed packed. You’re busy taking care of the house and Reese. I know Reese can be a handful at times.” His hands trailed down my body.  “I hope that I show you how much I love you every day.”

 

“You do.” I reached over and pressed my lips to his. My body relaxed as our kiss deepened.

 

“Would you be up for going out to dinner? Or would you rather stay in and order room service?” AJ asked.

 

“Well it depends on what you plan on doing before and after room service.” I said suggestively. My finger trailed down his chest.

 

He answered by rolling on top of me. His fingers undid the buttons on my blouse. The cold air on my skin caused me to shudder. AJ looked up at me with a sexy grin. “I think dinner can wait. I want to spend time ravishing your body.”

 

He sat up, pulling me with him. Slowly he slid my shirt down from my shoulders. He gently kissed my exposed skin. “You’re so beautiful.” AJ murmured between kisses. I blushed at his comment. “It’s true, babe. You get prettier every day.”

 

My hands moved under AJ’s sweater, I love feeling his skin against mine. He took a deep breath, before our mouths met again in a tantalizing kiss. AJ briefly pulled away from me, to remove his sweater. I shrugged off my shirt and unclasped my bra. The desire in his eyes, made me feel naughty. He undid my jeans and helped me out of them.

 

“Aspen, I’m going to make sweet love to you all week.” He murmured as he undressed.

 

Once AJ was undressed, he fell onto the bed beside me. He brushed my hair behind my ear; then slowly sucked on my ear lobe. I was coming unglued. AJ was pulling out all the right moves. It had been a few weeks since we had made love.

 

“AJ, I need you.” I moaned loudly. He listened and moved over top of me. He gently glided into me. I loved the feeling of him inside me. We started moving as one.  Our lips met in a sensuous kiss.

 

“Mmm, Aspen. I love you.” AJ growled into my ear. I was getting close to the brink of orgasm. AJ picked up the pace. I could feel myself tighten around my husband.  “Fuck baby, I’m going to explode.”

 

After our climax, AJ rolled off me and drew me into his arms. We lay there quietly, enjoying the feeling of pure bliss. My eyes grew drowsy and my body relaxed. I fell into a content sleep.

 

 

 

Hours later, I was sitting in front of the fireplace. AJ was still asleep. I had woken up about an hour ago. I didn’t have the heart to wake my husband up. He didn’t get the chance to get extra sleep all that often. Plus, I wanted to make love to him later this evening.

 

Plus, it was nice having a few moments to myself. It gave me a chance to think about life, well my life specifically. Things were good. My marriage was awesome. Sure, AJ and I had our moments, but what couple doesn’t. No matter what we managed to get back on track whenever things were less than perfect.

 

Reese was growing up so fast. Before I knew it she would be a teenager. AJ and I had been trying for years to have another baby. We hadn’t been successful, which sometimes I think was our biggest issue. AJ never put pressure on me about it. He said we could always adopt. I wanted to give him his own child. At this point it didn’t seem like it was going to happen in the foreseeable future. Maybe, adoption was the way to go.

 

“You know I find it sexy when you wear my clothes.” AJ said as he sat down on the floor next to me.

 

“You’re sweater is soft and comfy.” I smile at him. “It smells like you, too.”

 

“Everything okay? You looked so serious when I walked in.”

 

I sighed softly. “Yeah everything is fine.”

 

AJ placed his arms around me. We sat there quietly starring at the fire. I felt just as close to my husband now as I did when we were talking. I was safe and taken care of with AJ. He was the only man who loved me unconditionally. I wasn’t the easiest woman to deal with. I had hang-ups, and AJ dealt with them like a pro. In so many ways we were different, but we managed to make it work.

 

“You wanna talk about what is on your mind.”  He suggested while pulling us both over to the couch.

 

I settled myself away from AJ on the other end of the couch. I placed my feet in his lap and got comfortable. He made it easier my massaging my feet. I enjoyed it a few minutes before I decided to bare my soul.

 

“Alex, I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to give you any more children.” I said looking at my husband.

 

“Baby, there’s nothing to be sorry about. It doesn’t change how much I love you. Plus it takes two of us to make a child.” He remarked softy.

 

I looked away from him because I was feeling guilty. “I know you’re right. Even the doctors have said there is nothing wrong with either one of us. It’s like we aren’t meant to have more kids. All I ever wanted was a big family.”

 

“And we can have that, Aspen. We can adopt a busload of children.” AJ removed my feet from his lap.  Then he scooted closer to me.

 

I bit my lip, forcing the tears not to fall. I had to be strong, but honest at the same time. “I want to carry your child. I want to give you the chance to see what I caused you to miss when I was pregnant with Reese.”

 

The tears didn’t hold back. I sobbed and sobbed. AJ held me close, rubbing my back trying to make me feel better. “Sweetheart, please don’t feel guilty about the past. I’m not mad at you about what happened. We found each other and it all worked out. There’s no need for you to feel guilty. Whether we create a child from our love or we adopt, I’ll love that child unconditionally.”

 

His kind words only made me cry harder. I was an emotional mess. Usually I kept my feelings under control. For some reason, it felt good letting go. “I’m sorry for being a blubbering idiot.” I started wiping my eyes. “You’re right. Sometimes I feel bad knowing that you missed out on Reese as a baby. I wish I could make it up to you.”

 

“You don’t have to make up anything to me.” He pressed a kiss into my hair.

 

“I’m happy that Jade is pregnant. Her and Nick are so happy. At the same time, I’m so freaking jealous.” I blurted out.

 

“Aspen, it’s okay to feel that way. I know you are happy for them, but you want to be pregnant, too.” AJ handed me a box of tissues. “We can try every day to get pregnant. I’m not going to complain about having sex with my wife.”

 

I looked up and saw a naughty grin on his face. I pushed him away. “You’re such a horn dog.”

 

“You better believe it! I have a sexy wife.” He took a deep breath and released it slowly. “Now, let’s get serious. We can go back to see the fertility specialist or go to a new one. I’ll do all the testing again. Whatever it takes for you to have a baby, I’ll do.”

 

“You would?” I asked in surprise.

 

“I would.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Hope you are enjoying this blast from the past with AJ and Aspen.
Chapter 6 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 6

By Rachel

2014

 

Everything was going well, until I had to ruin it. AJ was being romantic, and I went and said the wrong thing. Now I’m sitting in the bathroom bawling my eyes out. AJ was attempting to coax me out. I didn’t understand how something so trivial could cause such a big problem between us.

 

I grabbed a wad of toilet paper and blew my nose. Letting my tears subside, I sat on the toilet. I was embarrassed to go back out.

 

“Aspen baby, come out, please. I’m not mad at you.” AJ pleaded.

 

“Just leave me alone. Go out! Go to bed.” I yelled. This had been going on for the past twenty minutes.

 

“Aspen, I’ll leave you alone. I love you. I’ll be here for you when you’re done feeling sorry for yourself.” He said softly; then walked away.

 

I didn’t move from my spot, but I listened to see what my husband was doing. He was on his cell phone. I moved closer to the door. I wanted to hear what he was talking about.

 

“Nick, everything was fine. Then bam, Aspen was mad at me. She locked herself in the effing bathroom.” He explained.

 

“What triggered her? Aspen is the calmest person I know.”

 

“I prefer not to say. She would freak if I tell you.  I just don’t know what to do with her mood swings anymore.” AJ fell to the couch.

 

“I bet it has something to do with hormones or some other woman shit.” Nick explained. “Jade gets moody right before her period. Maybe it’s her time of the month.”

 

“Well, thank you Dr. Carter for that piece of information. Is Jade around?”

 

“Yeah. Hold on.”

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be seducing my sister?” Jade teased.

 

“Yeah, but things aren’t going as planned. Aspen’s a basket case. She locked herself in the bathroom and won’t come out.” AJ sighed with frustration. I couldn’t believe he was talking to my sister. I opened the door slightly, so I was able to hear the conversation better. Well, at least AJ’s side.

 

“What did you do?” Jade growled.

 

“Nothing. We were in the middle of a romantic moment. She flipped out and got upset. Now she wants nothing to do with me. Jade, I need your help. This isn’t the first time she’s flipped out on me. I can’t her mood swings.”  AJ cried out for help. Was I really that bad?

 

“Aspen’s usually always in control. How long has she been acting this way?”

 

“Off and on for the last month or so.” AJ got up and started pacing. I couldn’t believe he thought I was acting liking this for that long. I was getting pissed again.

 

“AJ, that last time I remember Red acting like a crazy hormonal bitch was when she was pregnant.”  Jade replied honestly.

 

“Do you really think?” AJ leaned against the wall across from the bathroom. “Jade, I’m going to go. Thanks.”

 

AJ grabbed the handle of the door and opened it. I fell into the room. He looked at me with disdain and walked away. I stood up and followed him into the bedroom. He was lounging on the bed watching television.

 

“How dare you call Nick and Jade!” I screamed. “It’s none of their business if I’m acting like a bitch. You’re the reason I’m being a bitch.”

 

“I love you, too, Aspen. You know this was supposed to be a week for us. We’ve spent more time fighting. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

 

“Fine, I’ll be sleeping on the couch.” I started to stomp out the door.

 

“Wait!” He yelled. I turned around. “I don’t want to fight. Jade told me something interesting.”

 

“What’s that?” I said quietly. I was afraid of what my sister told AJ. You never knew what could come out of her mouth. I bet it was something sexual.

 

“She thinks you may be pregnant.” AJ said with a smile. My mouth fell open in shock. Could she be right? I doubt it. After trying this long, my odds of having a baby were slim to none. My shock turned into anger.

 

“That is cruel coming from you and Jade. How can you say that to me?” I cried out.

 

AJ was up on his feet and by my side in an instant. He took my hands in his and wouldn’t let me leave. I wanted to bolt. There was no reason for me to stay here and deal with this. “Sweetheart, baby, I didn’t say it to hurt you. It’s just…you haven’t been acting like yourself for a while. I’m worried about you.” He said tenderly.

 

“I know I haven’t been myself lately. I feel irritated by everything. You all know I want a baby more than anything else. It hurt when you mentioned that I could be pregnant. I wish every month that I don’t get my period. Every woman I see with a baby makes me jealous.”

 

“Aspen, I’m sorry you feel that way.” He pressed a kiss to my nose and then my lips. “I have an idea.”

 

“I’m afraid to ask.” The hurt look on his face made me giggle. “You know you’ve had some hair brained ideas in the past.”

 

“Anyway.” He smiled lovingly at me, ignoring my comment. “How about tomorrow, we get a pregnancy test. Then, we’ll know for sure.”

 

“And if it’s negative, it will put me in a depressive mood for the rest of the trip. I don’t know if that’s a gamble I want to take.”

 

“Either way, it’s going to eat at you. If it’s positive, we celebrate by making loving for the rest of the week. If it’s negative, we spend the rest of the week making love and getting you pregnant.” The love on his face made me want to cry. Happy tears this time. AJ’s love for me had no boundaries. I was thankful for that love.

 

“Well Mr. McLean, I think that is a win-win situation.” I pressed my lips to his for a long, sensual kiss. “Let’s go to bed. I’m exhausted.”

 

He picked me up and carried me to bed. I cuddled in his arms and fell asleep, dreaming of babies.

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 7

By Rachel

2014

 

The snow was falling down so hard you could barely see. It looked like we were going to be snowed in for the day. I shut the curtains and got back into bed. AJ was lying on his back with his arm hanging off the bed. His mouth was open and the noises that came from his nose would wake up the dead. It was a site to be seen, but I loved him with all my heart.

 

Once I got under the covers, I watched my husband sleep. Every day I thanked my lucky stars that he loved me as much as he did. I wasn’t always the easiest to get along with. Slowly, my eyes closed and I drifted off to sleep.

 

“Rise and shine.” AJ sang loudly, a few hours later. I pulled the covers over my head, so I could go back to dreaming. “Aspen wakey, wakey.”

 

“Five more minutes.” I grumbled. Of course, he didn’t listen. Instead he pulled the covers off my body. “Leave me be. I’m having a hot dream.”

 

“Is it about me?” AJ sat on the edge of the bed next to me.

 

“No.” I heard him pouting. “It was about Luke Bryan, mmm.”

 

“What’s so hot about some twangy singer?”

 

I sat up with a huge smile on my face. “Oh my! Have you seen how tight his jeans are? Hell even Jade enjoyed his concert and she hates country music.”

 

“So that’s what gets you all wound up.” My husband grinned at me. “If I wore my jeans like tight would it turn you on?”

 

I couldn’t help myself, I started to laugh. Not a sweet laugh, but because my husband’s statement was ridiculous. He looked at me like I had three heads. That only made me laugh harder. “Don’t even think of wearing your jeans that tight. You don’t have the ass for them.”  I said between giggles.

 

“I thought you loved me and my ass.”  He sulked.

 

“I love you and your ass, you big dope.” I pushed him off the bed. He fell to the floor with a thud. “Since you woke me up from the hottest dream ever, what’s for breakfast?” 

 

I got up and walked into the living room of our suite. AJ trailed behind me. I flopped onto the couch and relaxed. I was in a good mood and I wasn’t going to let anything spoil it.

 

“You kind of missed breakfast, my dear.” He moved my feet and sat beside me. I looked at the clock. It was noon. I never slept until noon.

 

“I think I want a grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup.  Order some hot chocolate. The snow makes me want to drink hot chocolate.”

 

While AJ ordered our food, I watched him. He’s confident without being conceited. He made everything he does seem easy. My husband was the exact opposite of me. A lot of people think we didn’t match, but somehow we made it work. It wasn’t always easy. We argued a lot, especially over little things. AJ and I made up as quickly as we fought.

 

“Penny for your thoughts.” He said once he got off the phone.

 

“Just thinking about how lucky I am to have you in my life.” I reached over and placed a kiss on his mouth.

 

 

 

 

The snow was gorgeous. Everything around us was covered in white. Snow was falling all around us. I loved Central Park. Being here in the winter was so different than Los Angeles. I wasn’t a big fan of snow, but I was enjoying it today.

 

AJ led us to a bench that wasn’t covered in a foot of snow. He placed a blanket down, so we could sit. Then he grabbed a thermos out of his bag and poured us some hot chocolate.

 

“Thank you kindly, sir.” The liquid chocolate warmed my body. It also could have been from being wrapped up in my husband’s arms.

 

“You’re welcome baby. It’s absolutely beautiful here.” He held me closer.

 

“It sure is, but I don’t think I could live here all winter. Being cold sucks.”

 

“Are you cold? Do you want to go back to the hotel?” He asked tenderly.

 

I took his gloved hand and placed it in mine. I stare up at him with a smile. “Not yet. I’m nice and warm right where I’m at. AJ, this is nice. I’m glad we’re getting to spend time together just you and I.”

 

“We need it, Aspen. I promise that we are going to start spending more time together. I apologize for not always making you top priority. That is going to change.” He kisses my cheek.

 

“I understand AJ. Your career is demanding. When we got engaged I accepted that. It’s not always easy, but I would never take you from something you love so much. We make it work.”  It’s nice being able to talk about the issues in our marriage. For me it’s hard sometimes to vocalize my feelings. I know I need to try harder in the future to do that.

 

“You know that at any time you want to pursue a dream, I’ll support you one-hundred and ten percent. I just want you to be happy.”

 

“Sweetcheeks.” I pressed my hand to his face. “I’m very happy.  I have a husband that loves me unconditionally. I get to take care of him and my daughter. What more do I need?”

 

“Well, if you do need more, all you have to do is ask.”

 

We sat quietly, snuggled together, watching the snow fall from the sky. It was moments like this that I cherished. AJ and I didn’t need a three ring circus to prove our love. I was content being wrapped up in his arms. That’s what love was about.

 

I noticed that AJ was playing in the snow with a stick. I looked down at what he was drawing. “What are you doing?” I questioned curiously.

 

“Just drawing in the snow.” He gave me a mischievous grin.

 

I pushed myself away from him. “I can’t believe your drawing boobs and a dick. That’s gross.” I hissed.

 

He started laughing. Men were such pigs. I stepped on his picture and wiped it out of existence with my shoe.  “What you do that for?”

 

“In case a little kid or elderly lady decides to use this bench. They don’t need to see your perverseness.” I started to walk off.

 

“Wait up, Aspen!” AJ tried folding the blanket. “Don’t leave me.”

 

Stopping in my tracks, I waited for him. After he got everything cleaned up, he walked over with a smirk on his face. “You know there’s no one around to worry about seeing my masterpiece.”

 

“Just stop it. You had to ruin a perfect moment by being a guy.” I huffed.

 

AJ took my hands, so I won’t walk away. “Baby, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you mad. I started off trying to draw a heart, but it turned out more like boobs.”

 

I busted out laughing at his comment. He gave me an awkward grin. “I’m not buying that excuse for one moment. It’s a good thing I love you and will put up with your childish antics.”

 

“And I’m grateful for that.”  He said as we started walking back to the hotel hand in hand. I couldn’t help but love AJ more each day.

Chapter 8 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 8

By Rachel

2014

 

“Are you ready to take it?” AJ inquired walking out of the bathroom.

 

“No” I replied.

 

“Aspen, baby, what’s wrong?”  He sat down next to me.

 

“I don’t know.” I scooted off the bed away from my husband.  “I’m nervous.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m nervous, too. We both want a baby.”

 

AJ walked over to me and wrapped me up in his arms. I inhaled his scent, instantly it calmed me down. I laid my head on his shoulder. “I don’t know if I can deal with another let down. We’ve been trying for years. Maybe we aren’t meant to have more children.” I stammered. It felt like my heart was breaking.

 

AJ whispered in my ear. “I have a good feeling about this. Go take the test and I’ll look at the results.”

 

“I think that sounds fair.”  I stepped out of his embrace, grabbing the pregnancy test and went into the bathroom.

 

Taking a few deep breaths, I opened the box. Could I handle this once again? It had been about four months since the last time I took a test. That one, along with all the other ones was negative. Honestly, if it came out positive I’d be in shock. I wasn’t going to get my hopes up because I didn’t want to be let down again.

 

When I finished, I went back into the bedroom and cuddled on the bed with AJ. He held me close, both of us sat quietly lost in our own thoughts. Three minutes of listening to the clock tick. It was annoying enough to test the patience of a saint.

 

“Sweetheart, I think it’s time for me to check the test.” AJ nudged me, trying to get up.

 

“Not yet. Just sit here with me for a minute.” My body started to shake.

 

AJ kissed the top of my head in an attempt to make me feel better. It should, but it doesn’t. Instead I feel irritated. It’s like he’s trying to placate me. My mood was sour because I knew what the test is going to say. The need to stay strong was hard when all I wanted to do was cry. I won’t let that happen. Not after all the previous times.

 

He released me and went into the bathroom. I closed my eyes, pretending we weren’t doing this. Maybe if I pretended to be asleep, AJ would leave me alone about the results.

 

“Aspen.” He gently prodded me. “Aspen come on. I know you’re not sleeping.”

 

“STOP IT!” I yelled. “I don’t want to deal with this right now. I’m sorry I can’t give you a baby.”

 

“Would you chill the fuck out? If I have to deal with your mood swings throughout this pregnancy, our kid might not have a father.” AJ muttered.

 

I opened my eyes and sat up straight. “What did you say?”  I wasn’t sure I heard him right.

 

“We’re having a baby. You’re pregnant!” AJ pulled me off the bed. His mouth was on mine before I could speak. His hands moved to my abdomen.

 

When we came up for air, all I could was smile. I was ecstatic. “Are you sure?”

 

He took the test from his pocket and gave it to me. It read pregnant. Oh my God, I was pregnant. After all these years I was going to have a baby. We were having a baby.

 

“I love you so much, Aspen.”

 

“I love you, too, AJ.”

 

“I think we should celebrate.” AJ kissed my forehead.

 

“I think that sounds wonderful.” I smiled at my husband. I’m so happy we’re having a baby.

 

“Go get a shower and I’ll make a reservation at Serendipity 3.” AJ pushed me lightly towards the bathroom.

 

“Mmm, my favorite. Steak Char Char or Chicken Diva. I can’t decide. We have to get a Peanut Butter Frozen Hot Chocolate.” I’m excited about dinner.

 

“We’ll get you whatever you want.” AJ laughed as I walked away.

 

I turned on the water and started to undress. In the mirror I saw my stomach. It was flat, but in just a few months I’d be showing. After all these years I couldn’t believe I was actually pregnant.

 

Stepping into the shower, the hot water cascaded down my body. It was a heavenly feeling after our long walk in the snow earlier. My muscles were starting to relax.

 

“Damn baby, you’re beautiful.” AJ commented as he pulled open the shower curtain.

 

“What are you doing?” I shrieked.

 

“I thought we could take a shower together.” He gave me a grin. Before I could utter a word, AJ was taking off his clothes. I couldn’t help but admire his body. He was fit and toned.

 

“I guess I don’t have a choice.” I said, as I made room for him.

 

“Don’t you think sex in the shower is hot?” AJ remarks with a sexy grin.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Not really. You aren’t getting lucky, so you can put that thought out of your mind.”

 

“Come on baby. It can be a lot of fun.” He grabbed my hips and pulled me against him. “Try it. You just might like it.”

 

I pressed a kiss to his nose while wrapping my arms around his neck. “Not right now. Did you get a reservation?”

 

“Yes. We have a table for eight forty five.” AJ kissed me sensuously, causing my body to mold into his. He was doing a good job at making me lose control, but he knew there was no way I was having sex in the shower.

 

AJ wrapped one of my legs around his waist. Then he did the same with the other leg. Seamlessly, he stepped out of the shower.  “We’re dripping all over the floor.” I shrieked.

 

“And in a minute, you’re going to be dripping wet.” He threw me on the bed.

 

“We have a dinner reservation.”

 

“Fuck the dinner reservation. I want to make love to my very beautiful and pregnant wife.”  AJ got on the bed and crawled up my body, kissing my wet skin.

 

“I guess I don’t have a choice.”  I giggled.

 

“No you don’t. I’m going to love every inch of your body tonight. Then I’m going to do it again all day tomorrow and the next day and the next day.”  He growled in my ear.

 

“Good! Now shut up and make love to me.”

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by colorguard_diva

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 9

By Rachel

2014

 

After missing our dinner reservation, AJ went to a local Chinese restaurant down the street to pick up some food. I was sitting in front of the fire place waiting for him to return. My stomach was growling.

 

My cell rang. I figured it was AJ, so I picked it up. “Hello!”

 

“Hey Red! How’s your vacation? Spent the whole time in bed fucking?” Jade asked with a giggle.

 

“Really, Willow Jade? That is none of your business.”  I groaned into the phone.  “What’s going on?”

 

“Reese had a little accident.” Jade said seriously. My heart fell to the floor.

 

“Oh my god! Is she okay? What happened?”  I started to panic. Fear was running through my body.

 

“She fell off the balance beam at gymnastics. She broke her leg.”

 

AJ walked into our suite, carrying a bunch of food. He set it down and stared at me. “Are you okay?” He whispered. I shook my head.

 

“Oh my! AJ just walked in. Let me put you on speaker.” I turned my attention to my husband. “Reese broke her leg.”

 

“Jade, is she okay? Where is Reese?” AJ asked calmly. I’m glad he stable, because I was freaking out on the inside. My poor baby was hurt and without her mom and dad.

 

“We’re still at the hospital. Reese has to get her leg set and casted.” Jade explained. “Nick’s sitting with her. Denise just picked up Calleigh.”

 

“Can we talk to her?” I asked, wishing I could hug my baby girl.

 

I heard Jade fiddling with her phone. Nick was singing in the background. AJ grabbed my hand and held it tightly. I felt like the worst mom in the world.

 

“Hi mommy. Hi daddy.” Reese squeaked out. She sounded so tiny. “I broke my leg.”

 

“Aunt Jade told us. Are you okay, Reese’s Pieces?” AJ asked concerned.

 

“I’m okay. I’m just mad that I fell off the beam. I was doing a cartwheel and lost my balance. I hit my leg on the beam as I fell.” She explained dramatically. Nothing seemed to bring her down. She was tough for a seven year old.

 

“The next time you won’t fall.”  I said reassuringly.

 

“I miss you both.” Reese was getting whiny. I’m sure the pain meds were making her sleepy.

 

“We miss you, too, baby.”  AJ replied. “Did they put your cast on yet?”

 

“No, we’re still waiting for the doctor to come back. What color should I pick for my cast?” She asked.

 

“You could always pick your favorite color. Do you know what colors they have?” 

 

“Mommy, I have like four million favorite colors. I don’t think they can make me a rainbow one.” I wanted to laugh at my daughter. She sounded like a teenager at that moment.  “They have every color, even ones with glitter in them. Do I want neon pink or neon green?”

 

“Which one do you like more?” AJ asked.

 

There was dead air on the phone for about a minute, while Reese was thinking. “I think I’m going to go with neon green daddy.”

 

“It’s a perfect choice.”

 

“I hate to cut this short, but the doctor just arrived.” Nick’s voice took over. “We’ll call you when we get home.”

 

“Please take care of her.”  I pleaded to my brother-in-law. Tears started to fall.

 

“We will. I promise.”

 

“Bye mommy. Bye daddy. I love you.”  Reese was groggy.

 

“We love you. We’ll be home soon.” Both of us said together.

 

 

AJ and I ate dinner quickly.  We decided to cut our romantic vacation short. Reese needed us. Now we were sitting at the airport waiting to catch the red eye back to Los Angeles.

 

“Thank you for the trip, Sweet Cheeks. I really appreciated it.” I lean into him.

 

“You’re welcome.” He kisses my temple. “I love doing special things with you.”

 

“We need to spend more time together. I know that sometimes I let things get in the way of us. I need to make more effort.” I admitted honestly.

 

“Me, too. I’m going to try harder. Sometimes, my focus on work gets out of hand. You need to hit me over the head.”

 

“I can do that.”  We both laughed. “You know you can do the same.”

 

“Never. I’d never hit you.”  His mouth moves to mine. It’s a searing, sensual kiss. The kind of kiss that leads to the bedroom.  AJ’s hands were in my hair pushing me closer to him. I moaned against his mouth as I wrapped my arms around his neck. Usually, I wasn’t into public displays of affection, but this is just what I needed at the moment.

 

“Would you two get a room?” A familiar male voice boomed. AJ and I broke apart. I looked up and saw Jade’s friend Dale and his wife Geri. “Aspen, AJ it’s great to see you. How are you?”

 

I stood up and gave Dale and Geri a hug. “We’re doing well. We are heading home. Reese broke her leg.”

 

“Poor Reese. I know Jade has been talking to Geri.” She smacked her husband on the stomach. “What was that for?”

 

“Doctor patient confidentiality.” Geri sighed.

 

What was going on with my sister? I thought she told me everything. Maybe she just needed to talk to someone who wasn’t family. I didn’t know what to think. I hoped everything was okay.

 

“Our flight was just called. It was nice seeing you again.” AJ gave Dale a quick handshake. Then he hugged Geri.

 

“I’m sure we’ll see each other in the future.”  Geri smiled.

 

AJ took my hand and we walked to our gate. We hurried to our seats in first class. I handed my carry on to my husband. He put it in the overhead with his, as I took my seat. I was still thinking about my sister as he sat down.

 

“Penny for your thoughts.”

 

“Just thinking about my sister. I’m worried about Jade. I mean she’s getting counseling again.” I looked out the window.

 

“Sweetheart, not everyone talks to a counselor because they have problems. Jade probably just needed a friend to talk to.”  AJ responded reassuringly.

 

“But Geri said doctor to patient.” I was going to worry about my sister even if AJ tried to talk me out of it.

 

“Jade is fine. If there was something really wrong she would tell you. Now we have six hours before we have to deal with reality. I think we need to spend that time focusing on us.”  His hand moved slowly up my arm.

 

“I think that is a perfect idea.” I smiled at him. “Thank you for everything. These past few days have been wonderful. It was nice having time for just you and me. I hope we can do this more often. I love you AJ.” I nestled myself against him, and he quickly wrapped his arm around me.

 

“I love you, Aspen. Always and Forever.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this story. Thank you for reading.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11300