Why Are We Still Friends by colorguard_diva
Summary:
 photo WAWSF_BANNER_RESIZED_FOR_AC.jpg
Can you just be friends? What happens when you are in love with your best friend? Follow this group of friends figuring out if what they have is more than friendship.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 54 Completed: No Word count: 72671 Read: 80014 Published: 09/04/14 Updated: 06/10/15
Chapter 27 by colorguard_diva

Why Are We Still Friends

 By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 27

 

Since I had the day off, I decided to surprise Brian with a picnic lunch. It was a beautiful day and I wanted to spend it with my boyfriend. Finally we were able to go out in public and not have to worry about anyone catching us. Sharing my love of Brian with the world made me happy.

“Brian, yoo-hoo.  Is anyone home?” I said cheerfully as I entered the house. I checked all the rooms downstairs, but he’s nowhere to be found. My guess is that he’s in the bedroom. I made my way upstairs.

Brian was in the middle of packing a suitcase as I entered the room. “Oh, Lex. You scared me.” He’s startled at my appearance in the doorway.

“Where are you going?” I asked hesitantly. He never mentioned going on a trip.

“Oh, I have to go to Kentucky for a couple of days. I decided to go visit my mom and dad.” He stated quickly and continued packing.

“I didn’t know you were planning to go see them.” I didn’t know what else to say. I was a little hurt by Brian. He never kept secrets from me.

Brian walked over and placed his hands on my hips. He gave me a peck on the lips before talking. “It was a spur of the moment thing. I talked to mom last night. She was complaining about how much she missed me. I figured I would surprise her with an impromptu visit.” He smiled at me with loving eyes.

“That is sweet of you. You’re a good son.” I brushed my lips against his. His body came in contact with mine. My hands wrapped around his neck, and I played with his curls.

He broke away as his cell phone rang. He picked it up quickly. “Hello. I know…Stop. I always keep my promises. See you then.”  Brian slammed his phone down.

“Is everything okay?” I asked, unsure of what was going on. I’ve never seen Brian so angry.

“Everything is peachy.” He zipped his suitcase. “I hate to rush out, but I’m going to be late for my flight if I don’t get my ass moving.” Brian pulled me into his embrace. “I love you, Alexia.”

“I love you back, Brian.” We spent a few moments kissing; when he pulled back I realize how much I’m going to miss him. “Make sure call me when you get to Kentucky.”

 

 

Turning the television off, I walked out to the beach. I stuck my hand in my pocket making sure I had my phone. Sitting by the phone was the woman I never wanted to be, but unfortunately I turned into her today. I’m not going to lie, Brian hurt my feelings. Would he have told me he was leaving if I hadn’t shown up?

My phone dinged; in record speed I fished it out of my pocket. It’s Nick. He needed to talk to me. I was still mad at him. I sent him a message. Two minutes later, Nick was walking toward me. “That was fast.”

He must have been sitting in the driveway waiting for me to respond. The look on his face told me something was wrong. Clearly he was pissed off about something. I’m betting it had to do with Brian or Anna. Those were the only things Nick and I discussed the past few weeks.

“Anna left me.”  Nick kicked at the sand. He was definitely upset about the breakup.

I stared at him in disbelief. Was I shocked? No.  It happened sooner than I thought it would. Anna was the love ‘em and leave ‘em type. I tried to warn Nick, but did he listen? Hell no. Sex was all he cared about.

Nick plopped down on the sand. “Well aren’t you going to say something?”

What did he want me to say? I could gloat and tell him I told you so. On the other hand, I did feel bad since he seemed upset about Anna being gone. It was a catch 22. Anna did a bang up job ruining my friendship with Nick. To say I was happy she was gone was an understatement.

“Nick, I’m sorry.” I said unenthusiastically. For some reason I wasn’t able to muster up a lot of sympathy. Call it childish, I didn’t really care.

He looked at me with mixed emotions. “Gee, I can tell you really mean it.”

“Nick, I’m sorry Anna left you. My honest opinion of her is not a nice one. It’s better if I keep my mouth shut.” I said quietly. I looked at my phone for the millionth time.

“Lexi, I know Anna was a bitch, but I did care for her.”

My phone let me know there was a text message. Maybe it was Brian. He’s been in Kentucky for hours. I hurried to check. Damn it. It was a text from a friend at work. Why hadn’t Brian contacted me? I prayed nothing happened to him.

“Lexi…Lexi.” Nick shoved into me with his shoulder. “What the fuck is distracting you? You’re a million miles away.”

“Nothing.” I replied. Nick didn’t need to know that Brian was acting like a jerk.

“Bullshit. I know you’re mad at me. I’m sorry I’ve been a dick.” He apologized.

I felt like the world’s worst friend. I shut my phone off and slid it in my pocket. I doubt Brian was calling tonight. Looking over at Nick, I gave him my full attention. “Sorry, Nick. I just have a lot on my mind. I’m sorry that Anna treated you like crap. You deserve better than her.”

“Thanks, Alexia. Do you think we can be friends again?” Nick looked at my with his baby blues. How could I resist? “I’m sorry for the way that I treated you.  You’ve always been my best friend.”

I nodded my head. “I was just hurt Nick. Anna is a master manipulator. I didn’t want to see you get hurt. I was looking out for your best interest.”

Nick wraps his arm around me. “I know you were. My stubbornness got the best of me. Anna is the type of woman that is untouchable to most men. When, she started paying attention to me…it felt good.”

I started to laugh. “Nick, when has a women ever not wanted to be with you. You know you’re a stud. You can have any woman on the planet.”

“Shut up.” He said, as he blushed. “Believe me there are more than a few women who don’t want me.”

“I get it Nick. Walk me back to the house. Maybe we can get together this week and hang out.” I stood up and brushed the sand off.

“I’d like that. How about tomorrow?” Nick took my hand as we set off for my house.

“Tomorrow is no good. I have work and class in the evening. Wednesday, I’m off and I don’t have class.”

“Pencil me in for Wednesday.” Nick pulled me into his arms. “I’ve missed you Alexia.”

It felt good to be in Nick’s arms again. It was familiar and comforting. In fact I was enjoying to a little too much. The smell of his aftershave had me thinking things I shouldn’t. But the way Brian left me high and dry to today really hurt. He didn’t have the decency to call and let me know he made it to Kentucky. I couldn’t let Nick into this part of my life. I loved Brian.

 

 

 

 

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11303