Why Are We Still Friends by colorguard_diva
Summary:
 photo WAWSF_BANNER_RESIZED_FOR_AC.jpg
Can you just be friends? What happens when you are in love with your best friend? Follow this group of friends figuring out if what they have is more than friendship.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 54 Completed: No Word count: 72671 Read: 80054 Published: 09/04/14 Updated: 06/10/15
Chapter 28 by colorguard_diva

Why Are We Still Friends

By: Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 28

 

When I woke up this morning, I still hadn’t heard from Brian. Seriously, I was too worried to be mad. The Brian I knew and loved wouldn’t forget to call. Panic was setting in. I called him again and got his voicemail. I left a quick message, and then got ready for work.

“Is everything okay Lexi?” Paulette, a nurse on my floor, asked.

“Everything is fine.” I said quickly. I didn’t feel like discussing my personal issues at the moment. I grabbed my phone and checked my messages. Nothing. “I’m taking my fifteen.”

Making my way outside, I found a quiet spot. I dialed the only other person who could give me some answers. “Hello Jackie. Hi this is Alexia.”

“Hi Lexi. It’s great to hear from you. How are you, sweetheart?” Jackie was in a good mood. She must be really happy to see Brian.

I willed myself to calm down. Brian was excited to see his family. That’s why he didn’t call me last night. “I’m fine. I was just wondering if I could talk to Brian.”

“Brian isn’t here.” Jackie replied with confusion. I felt sick, like I was going to puke. Where the hell was he? Maybe he was out with his brother. I was holding on to hope.

“Is he out with Harry?” I questioned. I slumped to the ground to stop the nausea.

“Honey, Brian isn’t in Kentucky.” Jackie must think I’m a lunatic for calling her. Now she’s going to worry about his whereabouts. I kept opening more cans of worms.

“He told me he coming to Kentucky to visit you. He left yesterday afternoon and I haven’t heard from him.” My voice was frantic. I had so many thoughts running through my head.

“Lexi, calm down. Give me some time and I will see if I can contact him.” Jackie replied in a composed manner. I was astonished that she could be so calm when her son has gone missing. Why am I the only one freaking out?

“Thanks Jackie. If I hear from Brian, I’ll let you know. Don’t hesitate to call me at any hour of the day or night.” I stood up and felt dizzy.

 

My eyes fluttered opened and I looked around. My head ached and my body was sore. I noticed Nick was sitting beside me. I opened my mouth to speak, but the words wouldn’t come out. Nick poured me a glass of water and handed it to me. I took a few sips, hydrating my dry throat.

“What happened? Why am I in the hospital?” I croaked out. The bile in my stomach moved up to my throat.

“You passed out in front of the hospital. Lexi, what’s wrong?” Nick asked, while taking my hand in his.

It all came back to me; the conversation I had with Jackie. “Nick, where’s my phone?” He stared at me. “Where’s my phone? I need my phone. NOW!!!” I screamed.

The blood pressure monitored started to beep as Nick hurried to get my phone. Just as he gave me my phone a nurse walked in. “Is everything okay, Miss McLean? Let’s check you out.”

The nurse checked my vitals and sent for the doctor. Nick wouldn’t give me my phone until everyone left. I had a concussion. Apparently I passed out while talking to Jackie and hit my head on the side of the building. Of course, I had to stay overnight for observation.

“Can I have my phone now?” I asked Nick. Reluctantly he gave it me. Still there was nothing from Brian. Just as I was throwing it down on the bed, it rang.

I looked at the contact. It was Brian. I hurried to answer it. “Are you okay? What the hell happened?”

“What do you mean?” I winced from the pain in my head. “You’re the one that didn’t have the decency to call your girlfriend from wherever the hell you are.”

“Lex, don’t do this. Are you okay?” Brian asked lovingly.

“I’m fine.” I yelled, causing my head to hurt worse. I placed my hand on my head. Nick grabbed my phone.

“Lexi, has a fucking concussion you ass. Stop fighting with her. I don’t know what happened between the two of you, but leave Lexi alone.” He slammed the phone down.

I looked out the window so Nick couldn’t see the tears falling down my face. I was embarrassed about the whole situation. Maybe this is why I never opened up my heart to a man. All I did was get hurt. “Nick, how did you find out about me being in the hospital?”

“The hospital called me. They couldn’t get ahold of Brian or AJ.” Nick moved closer me. “What’s wrong Lexi? Talk to me.”

“I don’t want to.” I wiped the tears with the back of my hand. “I just want to go home.”

“Lexi, don’t cry. I hate seeing you cry.” Nick moved on the bed next to me. I wanted to be strong, but I couldn’t hold it in any longer. I placed my head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around me and just held me.

A few minutes later, I started to speak. “Brian lied to me.”

“Lexi, I’m sorry.” He squeezed me tightly against him.

“He told me he was going to Lexington to visit his parents. Then he never called me when he got there. Nick, that’s why I was acting funny the other day. I was worried about Brian.”

“What a jackass.”

“So I called his mom this afternoon. Brian’s not even in Lexington.” I played with the hem of Nick’s t-shirt. “I can’t believe he would lie to me. That’s not the Brian I know and love.”

“You don’t deserve to be treated that way by any man. Brian may be my friend, but he’s a dick for treating you like that.” Nick pressed a kiss to my head.

“It’s just so out of character for him. Brian’s never lied to me before.” I yawned, my body started to feel tired.

“He’s an ass. This is why I worry about you dating him. I don’t like seeing my best friend hurt.”  Nick grumbled.

“Thanks for being here with me. I love you, Nick.” I whispered as I fell asleep.

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
What's going on with Brian? What's he hiding? Will he make things right between him and Lexi? Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11303