Nobody Else Can Walk it For You by Chaos
Summary: Sequel to Ground Zero. What happened to Nick and Kevin after they were left to die?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Action, Angst, Suspense
Warnings: Graphic Violence
Challenges:
Series: Ground Zero
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 21278 Read: 11972 Published: 11/11/03 Updated: 01/04/09
Story Notes:

Okay, so I know a lot of you thought (and probably rightly so) that I was never ever going finish (let alone update) this story. Well, I can tell you that I do have every intention of finishing it. I have the outline done and am going to do my darndest to keep plugging away at this until it's complete.

On 1/1/09 I did a bit of an overhaul to this story, combining it with its "companion" story "Turning Tables" (which somehow never made it to this archive...) Anyhoo, to make a long story short, the "new" chapters for 1/1 may be ones you've seen before, or may be ones you didn't depending on whether you ever caught the story in the old archive. Everything posted 1/4 and beyond, though, is new. Woot!

1. Prologue by Chaos

2. Where is Everybody? by Chaos

3. Two Characters in Search of an Exit by Chaos

4. Eye of the Beholder by Chaos

5. The Hitch-Hiker by Chaos

6. The Rip Van Winkle Caper by Chaos

Prologue by Chaos
Did you know that dead men don’t bleed?

I mean when you think about it, it makes sense. When you’re dead, the heart stops pumping. Without the heart doing its thing, blood stops flowing. So if you shoot a person and they die immediately, they won’t bleed from the bullet wound. I learned that on an episode of CSI.

It took me a little while to figure out what happened. But I had plenty of time to think. I’d thought of song lyrics. I’d thought of movies. I’d thought of TV shows. Anything to keep myself from going crazy.

And that’s when I remembered.

Dead men don’t bleed.

Ed was bleeding when he was on top of me.

Which meant that he wasn’t dead after I’d shot him.

I stared at Kevin who was lying a few feet away from me. Rather I stared at his form. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness enough that I could do that. Every once in a while, he would move a little bit. And I could hear the sniffling enough to know that he was crying.

Not that I blamed him. I cried at first too. But I’m all cried out. Finally.

I wished we could talk to each other, but the gag in my mouth prevented me from saying a word, just like the gag in his kept him silent. I wished I could move close enough to touch him. Hold his hand. Anything for the physical comfort. But I couldn’t move.

I was only half conscious when someone had pounded the stake into the ground. Not conscious enough to even register then what was going on. It wasn’t until I started really waking up that I realized that the stake had a purpose.

And that purpose was to bind the handcuffs I was wearing to the earth.

That wasn’t the worst realization though.

That came later.

When someone placed a board over the entrance of the…cave or hole or whatever it was we were in. And when the sound of dirt raining down on the wooden plank made me realize that we were being sealed into our tomb.
Where is Everybody? by Chaos
Author's Notes:

This chapter was added on 1/1/09. I'm integrating the "companion" story to NECWIFY into this one so it'll be alternating chapters. Sorry for the confusion here...

Howie POV

Five hours they’d been gone.

Five very long hours.

I wasn’t sure which was worse, the six days Nick was missing and we didn’t have any clue where he was or who had him, or the five hours when we knew exactly who had him, Kevin, and Brian.

I should have done something. I knew that asshole was going to strike again. I can't believe I didn't do anything to stop him. I just had to go and be all cautious and keep my suspicions to myself. But I *knew* he was the one.

I punched the wall and let out a frustrated yell. Does that surprise you? Me punching a wall? I know I have this image with so many people as being the quiet, practical, and peaceful one of the group. And I like that image, but it’s not entirely the whole picture. I have a temper. It’s often hard to trigger, but when it goes off I do stuff like that. I punched the wall again.

I should have done something!

I could have done any one of a number of things. I could have confronted Ed. Maybe that wouldn’t have been the best idea, all things considered, but still I could have. Or I could have gone to Lon, or Jack, or Geo or anyone for that matter with what Nick told me. I don't know why I didn't except that I thought I'd have more time to confirm my theory before acting. But that's not a good excuse. Reality is I was too damn afraid that maybe Nick had misunderstood something and that I'd accuse Ed of being a psycho only to find out that he was innocent. But he wasn’t. He was guilty!

I can't believe I let something like this happen. Again. When Nick'd told me everything that Ed told him and everything else he could remember about what had happened to him, I'd noticed a few problems with the story. Like when Kevin was drugged at the hotel. I hadn’t really been paying attention to anything but Kevin at the time, but Nick told me that Ed mentioned to Walters that he left after the lights went out and was back before the lights were restored. But that couldn't be true because the stalker...the *killer* had been downstairs grabbing Nick right after the lights went out and he was still with Nick when the lights came back on. He wouldn't have had time to get upstairs and drug Kevin. That meant that, for whatever reason, Ed had lied about the time he wasn’t upstairs. That alone should have been enough proof for me, but I was afraid that maybe I was jumping to the wrong conclusions. What if Ed had only said that to make it seem like he wasn't gone that long so that he wouldn't get in trouble with Lon? There could have been another explanation for the lie. So I’d played it safe.

Safe for who? Safe for Ed. Damn it! Because of me ‘playing it safe', Nick, Brian, and Kevin were missing. And our bodyguard Ryan was dead. Police found his body lying under the rear stage with a bullet in his brain. They hadn't yet confirmed whose blood it was in the arena’s hallway, but they did say that it wasn't Ryan's. He'd died instantly, they said, and it didn’t appear that the body had been moved. So the blood could belong to any one of the others. One of my brothers could be dead. Or maybe all three were. It’d been five damn long hours since they disappeared.

I punched the wall again, pretending that it was Ed. My hand was numb by then, anyway. So I punched it yet again.

"Howie..." AJ grabbed my arm before I could take another swing. "Stop it, D. You're going to break something...Come here; you're bleeding."

What did it matter? I should be bleeding. I should have been the one out there. Instead I was safe. And three of my friends were missing, hurt or possibly even dead.

I couldn't believe Ryan was dead. I couldn't believe that bastard killed him. Ryan was a good man, and he was so young. But Ed shot him. Probably right after we'd gone onstage. I could have prevented it if only I'd made my suspicions--hell my *convictions*--known. I tried to pull away from AJ so I could punch the wall again, but he restrained me.

He pulled me over to the lounge's sink and turned on the water, running it over my bloodied fist. The blood rinsed away showing a lattice of gashes. He grabbed the hand towel from the rack and wrapped it around my hand. "No more punching walls," he insisted quietly, "it doesn't help."

I nodded silently. SILENTLY. What was *wrong* with me! I let out another frustrated string of obscenities, causing everyone gathered in the room to look up at me.

"D...they're gonna be all right," AJ tried to assure me, but his voice wasn't as convincing as his words. He was scared to death. I could see it in his eyes.

I wished I could believe they were all okay, but I couldn’t. Ed had proven that he was willing to kill. He’d killed at least three people already. And the way he tortured Nick! I felt sick knowing that the guys were at his mercy. But I didn't want AJ to feel any worse. "I know," I lied to him with a sigh. "I just should have done something, J."

AJ sank back into one of the lounge chairs. "I know what you mean. I should have gone with Brian. Maybe if I'd been there too things would have been different."

"You didn't know what was going to happen," I reassured him, sitting in the chair next to his. He hadn't known, but I had. Obviously I didn't know Ed was going to grab them from the arena, but I'd known he was potentially dangerous. "And Ed has a gun. If you'd gone you could have ended up being taken right along with them."

AJ nodded slowly and stayed quiet.

The door to the lounge opened and the new agents assigned to the case came in. They’d kept us waiting in the lounge without word for well over an hour without so much as a word of information. After everything we told them during their initial interrogation, they still couldn’t just take a minute now and then to tell us anything.

I got to my feet and met them before they could even get all the way into the room. “Have you found them? Are they okay?”

Agent Grey shook her head. “Please have a seat, Mr. Dorough,” she suggested as she gestured toward the seat next to AJ’s. I could see something in her eyes that told me that I had better do as she recommended. They’re dead. Oh my God they’re dead.

I sank down into the chair and stared at the wall, unable to look at her any longer. I didn’t want to hear what she had to say anymore. She was going to tell us that they’re dead. And it was my fault.

“We don’t know where they are, but we do have some news,” Agent Grey informed us as she pulled up a chair to face us. She waited until everyone gathered around. Lon rested his hand on my shoulder as he stood behind us.

“The arena’s security has cameras at each of the exits,” she reported.

I continued to stare at the wall. We already knew that they were taken from the building. They didn’t need a security tape to tell us that.

“Are they alive?” AJ asked quietly.

Grey and Nutter exchanged glances. “We don’t know the condition of your friends,” Nutter told us, though I could tell he was lying. “There are some questions that have arisen,” he added. “Perhaps you can shed some light on some things for us.”

“Anything we can do to help,” AJ replied quickly.

“Mr. Dorough?”

I stopped staring at the wall long enough to glance at Agent Grey and nod, and then turned my attention back to the wall.

“When we spoke earlier you mentioned that you thought that Mr. Paterson was the one who kidnapped Mr. Carter before,” Agent Nutter started. I looked at him with disdain. He said that like he doubted it. Come on! It was obvious now wasn’t it? Ed took my friends and was doing God only knew what to them now. God, the things Nick told me his attacker did to him or at least tried to do to him…and Ed had him again. Brian and Kevin were there and they’d all protect each other the best they could, but I feared for all of them. “Can you tell us again why?”

I sighed and leaned forward in the chair, reaching up and rubbing my temples to try and alleviate the headache that was bugging me. “I don’t just think it, I know it,” I told him bitterly. “Nick told me everything.”

Agent Grey leaned forward. “He told you that Mr. Paterson kidnapped him?”

I shook my head. “No…he didn’t know who did it.”

“Then why do you think Mr. Paterson was the one?” Nutter asked.

I looked up at him. “Because Mr. Paterson lied,” I spat out. “And he’s been messing with Nick’s head.”

“How so?”

I sighed and rubbed my temples again. “He was telling Nicky stuff. He had Nick convinced that Kevin was the one who kidnapped him.”

The agents exchanged glances again. AJ sat forward, having noticed the look. “What?” he asked them. “What was that look for?”

Agent Grey reached out and patted his knee, smiling an obviously fake smile. “Can you tell us more about what Mr. Paterson told Nick? Why exactly Nick thought that Kevin was involved in the kidnapping?” she asked me.

I shook my head. “Ed was telling him stuff. Like that Kevin hated him and had threatened him and stuff like that. And he planted a…a note or something that made it look like Kevin had gotten a prescription for Ketamine. Like Kevin had drugged himself at the hotel and stuff like that.”

“Did you see the note?”

“No. Nick gave it to Ed.”

“You said that Kevin had threatened Nick?”

“It wasn’t like that,” Geo cut in. “I was there when that happened. Kevin was mad at Nick the day of the kidnapping, but Kevin wasn’t threatening him.”

Agent Nutter nodded. “What did he say?”

Geo pursed his lips. “He just said…well…he was angry and said something like ‘someone should teach Nick that the world doesn’t revolve around him’ and that sort of thing. But Kevin didn’t mean anything by it. It was just talk.”

“Did he say how someone should ‘teach’ Nick this?” Nutter’s voice had an edge to it that suggested he was getting angry.

“What does that matter anyway?” I blew up at the agent, infuriated by this line of questioning. “He was mad. He said stuff he shouldn’t have. What does it matter when Ed’s got them? He could kill them and you’re sitting here asking about Kevin’s temper tantrum? It’s pointless! We need to *find* them, not sit here and argue about who shouldn’t have said what!”

Nutter’s eyes blazed as he looked at me critically. “I’m afraid it does matter, Mr. Dorough. You’ve been withholding important information from us that we could have been using to get your friends back safely.”

I stared at him. Withholding information? I told them everything. Not soon enough, but I did tell them. They just weren’t listening to me apparently. “I told you everything. Ed is a psycho and he’s kidnapped our friends! What else do you expect me to say? I don’t know where he took them!”

Nutter pursed his lips a moment, his eyes full of anger. But Grey held up her hand to silence him before he could respond to my outburst.

“What information is it you think we’re hiding?” AJ asked, a lot calmer sounding than he looked. What did it matter? These people weren’t helping us. They didn’t know where to look so they were wasting time by questioning us again instead of getting out there and being useful. It’d been five hours and we were still sitting in the greenroom of the arena for God’s sake! I cursed under my breath. Me and AJ might as well go out there and look for them ourselves at the rate the agents were going! We should go. I wanted to do something. Anything. I wanted them back!

Nutter raised an eyebrow skeptically but Grey was the one who responded. “Perhaps you should see the security tape and tell us what you think.”

“By all means,” I was on my feet and headed for the door immediately. I didn’t know where the security office was in the building, but if it would get the agents moving I’d find it and watch the tape. “Show it to me and I’ll tell you *exactly* what I think,” I added, fuming.

I didn’t make it to the door before Lon grabbed my arm and stopped me, though. “Howie, they’re doing all they can.”

I begged to differ. They were just wasting time. But I took a deep breath and held it in, trying to calm myself. I nodded at Lon. I didn’t want to fight with him. Or anyone else except a certain ex-bodyguard who’d better as hell hope I never saw him again. Especially if he’d hurt them. I let my breath out. “I know. I just hate waiting.”

“We all do, Kid.”

I reluctantly turned back to the agents. “I’m sorry,” I apologized, though not for why they might have thought. I was sorry that they were completely incompetent. “I’ve told you all that I know, though. You’re wasting your time questioning us again. We’ll just tell you exactly what we did before. Ed Paterson kidnapped our friends and he could be doing God only knows what to them right now!” I would have continued with my frustrated rant if my cell phone hadn’t chosen that precise moment to start ringing. Oh for God’s sake, who would possibly call at that hour?! Unless…I pulled it from my pocket quickly and looked at the ID. Phoenix General Hospital. That had to be the guys.

I quickly answered. “Hello?”

“Howie?” a quiet voice asked. It was so quiet I couldn’t tell if I recognized it or not.

“Who is this?” I held my breath as I waited for the answer.

“It’s me…it’s Brian…”

I let out my breath in a sigh of relief. I smiled as I spoke his name. “Brian.” I looked up and saw AJ bouncing to his feet and rushing toward me. “Where are you? Are you guys okay?” There was a long pause. “Brian?” Nutter was suddenly right next to me, extending his hand, apparently wanting to take my phone, but I wouldn’t give it to him.

“Sorry…” Brian finally responded and I heard him sniffling. My smile faded. Something is wrong. Well DUH. But it had to be something more than just the kidnapping. He was free, so it couldn’t be that.

“You’re at the hospital,” I prompted, cutting down on the number of questions he needed to answer. “Are you hurt?”

After another pause Brian answered. “No…I’m okay. Mostly…” he said softly. Which meant one of the others was probably hurt. I closed my eyes. The way Brian was acting I suspected that the news was very bad.

“Okay. Good. Is there maybe a doctor there I can talk to?” I suggested, realizing that he may not have been emotionally able to tell me what was going on. I wondered if it was Nick or Kevin that was hurt. Or both of them.

“Um…yeah…” Brian sputtered hesitantly. “Can you come?” Something was very wrong.

I looked up at Nutter. “He’s at Phoenix General. He wants to know if we can get there now.”

Nutter nodded and immediately pulled out his own cell phone. “Are the others with him?” Nutter asked as he dialed.

“Brian? Are Nick and Kevin there with you now?”

I heard Brian swallowing a sob. “No.”

They’re dead. Oh my God. I squeezed my eyes shut as I shook my head to give AJ and the others the answer. They had to be dead or they’d be there with him. “Okay. It’s okay, Bri. We’ll be right there. Okay? Are you in the emergency room or where are you?”

“Ung…yeah. Emergency.”

“Okay. We’ll be right there. I’ll stay on with you until we’re there, okay?”

“Thanks, D…”

I didn’t ask him any more questions. It was obvious that he couldn’t deal with whatever happened. All the way to the hospital I continued to just talk soothingly to him, not really saying much of anything other that different variations of “It’s gonna be okay”.

It only took a few minutes for us to reach the hospital and Brian, but they seemed almost as long as the five hours he’d been gone. I didn’t hang up my phone until we saw him in the small waiting room that the hospital had blocked off from the public for him to use. We had to get through a small gathering of police officers to get to him. They informed us that Brian had refused to talk to any of them and so they were giving him space. When we got into the room we found that he had forgone the chairs and was sitting crouched on the floor in the corner with his knees drawn up to his chest.

“Brian?” AJ reached him first and knelt down next to him.

Brian forced a sad smile in greeting.

The agents were actually tactful enough to let us have a few moments before they came in to question him.

After we both took a few minutes to just sit and soothe him, AJ was the one who asked him the question that we were both dying to know but afraid to ask. “Rok? Where are Nick and Kev?”

Brian squeezed his eyes shut but didn’t answer for a few moments. I don’t know about AJ but I know that I was assuming the worst when he didn’t respond right away. All he would have to say was “they’re in the ER” or even “they’re in surgery”. But he didn’t. Which meant only one thing to me: they were dead.

But that wasn’t Brian’s answer, either, when he finally did respond. His response was a little more puzzling. “I don’t know,” he said miserably. “They’re gone.”

Ed must still have them, I realized.

But that left me wondering something. “Brian…if Nick and Kevin aren’t here and you’re not hurt…why are you here? Why not the police station?”

Brian’s eyes opened at he looked at me, his face void of any expression and his eyes dark as death. After a moment, he shed a slight bit of light. “Ed’s here in surgery. He was shot.”

I noticed the agents moving closer, but they still stayed quiet for the moment. Ed was shot? I found myself fighting off a grin. Good. At least there was a little bit of justice in the situation. I wonder which of them got the privilege of shooting that bastard. It’s not that I want him to die. I don’t. I want him to suffer more than that. I want him to pay for what he’s done. But if Brian and Ed were here, where were Kev and Nick?

“At least the police’ll be here to arrest the asshole the minute he comes out of surgery,” AJ ruled.

Brian’s eyes went wide and he shook his head vigorously. “They can’t do that!”

AJ and I stared at him in surprise.

“Why not?” AJ growled. “After what he did to Nick!?”

Brian’s jaw squared and he suddenly looked extremely angry. There’s the response I expected. He should be angry at Ed.

Except he wasn’t.

“He didn’t do anything to Nick.”

AJ stared at him stunned. I looked back over my shoulder at the agents and was surprised by their lack of shock over that announcement. What was going on? I looked back at Brian in confusion.

Brian’s nostrils flared as his anger grew in intensity. “If it weren’t for Ed I would be dead right now. You want to know where Nick is? Find my cousin,” he challenged, looking up at the agents.

“What do you mean?” AJ asked, even though I think he already knew the answer that was coming. The implication of Brian’s words were just too unbelievable though. Brian glared angrily at both of us before returning his gaze to the agents.

“I mean, AJ, that Kevin’s the one who took him. And he tried to kill me.” Brian’s jaw was clenched and he spoke through his grinding teeth. “If it weren’t for Ed, I would have been the one shot. He saved my life.”
End Notes:

A/N: I have gotten feedback telling me that this does not match up with the ending of Ground Zero. I agree it doesn’t, you’ll just have to trust me…

Two Characters in Search of an Exit by Chaos
*Just a warning: This is unbeta-read, so there may be some errors that I didn't catch. There also may be some minor changes made when the next chapter is posted...*

Chapter Two: Two Characters in Search of an Exit

I pulled feebly at the handcuff on my wrist for about the billionth time in what seemed like a year since Ed left us there to die. For my luck it had probably only been about five minutes or something. Except it had to be longer than that. Hours maybe. Enough time that I'd gone through all the television show plots and movies and songs I could think of trying to keep myself calm. Given, I was panicked enough that I hadn’t really been able to think of many. I was definitely going to go crazy if he didn't come back for us soon. Except if he came back it was probably going to be either to kill us or to mess with me again. I didn't want to think about the last time I'd been held at his mercy. I didn't want to think of the way he'd assaulted me then. And I definitely didn't want to give him another chance to take that assault that one step further. So I had to keep trying to pull my wrist free.

I yanked harder.

Once again, the cuff failed to magically burst open and release my wrist from captivity.

Damn.

There had to be some way out of this mess. I mean bad guys never win. That's like the rule. I'm all for bending rules and everything, but damn it you can't just break them like that. Not those big rules anyway. Not when they work in my favor. Not when the alternative is...too horrible to even think about.

I heard Kevin moving around and looked back over in his direction. I wished I could speak to him. More, I wished he could talk to me. At least then it wouldn't be quite so nerve-wracking. Lying here waiting to die.

I tried to take a deep breath to calm myself after that last thought, but the damned gag in my mouth was really making it hard to breathe. I needed to get that off. If only I could reach it, but I couldn't bring my hands down close enough to my face.

I blinked.

Well duh. I couldn't lower my hands, but I could probably move the rest of my body closer to them.

Okay I'm slow sometimes, I get that now, you can stop shaking your head and goin' "Nicky, Nicky, Nicky" in that 'you're an idiot' tone of voice. And stop calling me Nicky, you know I don't like that name.

Of course, I couldn't use my left leg at all which made it all that much harder to move. Except for the thing where I resolved not to continue talking to my body parts (and the fact that I had a gag still stuck in my mouth) I would have really given it a good cussing out. It wouldn't have gotten me anywhere anyway, other than to make Kevin think I'd gone completely off the deep end. Again.

I tried to slide my body by pushing my right leg against the ground. Not only did my left leg scream obscenities in my general direction (hey I said I wasn't gonna talk to my body parts, I didn't say they wouldn't talk back) with every little movement, but I only managed to slide about an inch. I couldn't give up, though. Only another 10 inches or so to go.

Fuck that's a long way.

I slid another inch, ignoring the protests my leg was making.

It was slow going and I swear it must have taken me an hour to move enough that my bound hands could reach the knot of my gag. I was stuck in such an awkward position that it took me several tries to even start loosening the knot. Once it got started, though, I was able to get it undone rather fast. Turning my head into my shoulder, I quickly managed to work the gag out of my mouth and breathe in full large gulps of air at last.

"Kevin?" I called out, my voice hoarse from lack of use. I licked my lips and tried clearing my throat but it was so dry. "Kev?" I tried again when he didn't answer. I wondered if he was gagged, too. He probably was. It wouldn't make sense just to gag me--despite what the other guys might tell you about that. I needed to get to him. He was probably going just as nuts as me. Besides, hearing his voice would probably calm me down a lot. Never thought I'd ever say that.

I rolled over on my stomach, ignoring the burst of pain that raced up my left side. I bit my lip as I pushed myself up, putting all my weight on my right knee. Now that I was in a bit better position, I pulled at the tent stake that was nailing my cuffed wrists to the ground. After a few tries, the stake got looser and I was able to pull it out of the ground and toss it aside. I was free. Well...sort of. I still had to figure out how to get the cuffs off, and Kev and I still had to get out of this tomb.

I fell back to my stomach and began to use my bound hands to pull myself along the ground toward Kevin. The agony was almost too much to bear, but my will to survive outweighed the pain, and I knew that if we didn't get out of there we would die for sure. Either from starvation or from Ed coming back to finish off the job. Much as I hate the thought of starving, I think I'd rather go that way.

It seemed like it took me an hour just to make it the few feet to where Kevin lay. "Kev?" I reached out and shook him very gently.

He flinched very hard but calmed quickly. "Nicky?" he whispered, his voice shaky.

Who else? And what did I say about the callin me Nicky thing? Oh yeah, I didn't really say that out loud. Besides, Kev's one of the exceptions, he can get away with it. Whaaaat? You try telling your 'big brother' to stop callin you some chintzy-ass nickname and see how much more he calls you by that name.

"Yeah. You okay?"

He sniffled a little bit but his voice was much stronger and back to sounding like authoritative Kevin. "I'm fine," he replied. How come he didn't have a damn gag like I had? And why hadn't he been talking to me if he didn't have a gag? I shook off those questions as he asked me one. "You?"

"Fanfuckingtastic."

"Watch your language," he admonished automatically, like it was built into his reflexes or something. As many times as he's said it to me over the years, it wouldn't be surprising. "How's your leg?"

Aside from the fact that it feels like it's been covered in honey and dipped into a giant container of fire ants? "Hurts like a bitch."

"Language!" Old habits die hard.

"English," I replied cheekily. See what I mean about old habits? Besides, humor is my defense mechethingie.

Kevin chuckled a little, despite our situation.

"We need to get out of here," I informed him, as if he didn't already know that tiny little fact. I've always been the master at stating the obvious. Why stop now? "Can you get your arms free?"

I heard Kevin make a little snorting noise. "I'm not sure."

He hadn't even tried?! Come on, Kev! What was going on with him? This was so not like him. He was usually the one taking charge of everything. Whether I liked it or not. Usually that annoys me a little bit, but right now I really wanted him to take charge. I didn't know what to do. "Well...how about trying now?" I suggested, trying to be helpful.

"Yeah, right," he answered stiffly, sounding offended. Oops.

Kevin slowly rolled over and moved so that he could get better leverage. He began pulling, but the stake held tight. Damn. I slid myself closer to the stake that was pinning his cuffs. After a few moments, he stopped trying and sank back down again. Giving up.

Okay, since I was apparently in charge, I had to figure this one out. With both of us working it should come out with no sweat. "Let me help. Count of three?" I suggested, looking over at him for confirmation before reaching out to grab the stake.

"Yeah," he grumbled, sounding frustrated. He didn't wait for me to count though as he got up and started pulling again. It was obvious that his refusal to let me help had given him an adrenaline rush. The stake not only pulled free, but flew up and struck me in the chin. Ow. Damn it, Kev. I winced dramatically to make him feel guilty. He didn't respond other than to stand up and shuffle a few steps away. And *I'm* supposedly the moody one?

After letting him sulk (not that he ever lets me) for a few minutes I tried once again to get his attention. "We need to get out of here," I repeated my earlier news flash. Kevin turned toward me. I couldn't see his expression but could picture it in my mind anyway. Pure annoyance. Well, he sure didn't seem to be doing anything about it. Then again, neither was I. But I couldn't walk. What was his excuse? "If you um...can help me up, I think maybe we can try to dig our way out."

"They put a board over the entrance." Now who was stating the obvious?

Okay so I didn't know that, but it made sense. "So...do you think we can push our way out? I don't think they covered it with too much dirt." Actually I think they did, but I was hoping that Kevin agreed with my earlier assessment.

"Probably not," he agreed. See? I know what I'm talkin' about. Sometimes. "I don't think they expected us to be able to get up, so they probably just covered it in case someone happened to come by."

So we were somewhere people could show up. I grinned. "Someone could be out there? We should start yelling or something!"

Kevin let out an annoyed snort. "Oh dear god, you would, wouldn't you," he responded with a groan as if I had just caused him the biggest headache ever. What? I scowled. I guess I must have made a discontented sound because Kevin quickly apologized. "Sorry. I don't think anyone is going to find us out here."

I swallowed hard. "Out here?" I had no idea where exactly we were but the term 'out here' didn't sound too promising to me. You don’t say ‘out here’ if you’re close to anything. "Where, um, exactly is 'out here'?"

Kevin sighed. "I really don't know. But we're in some sort of mine, I think. And we were in the car an awful long time. Away from any other traffic. I couldn't hear any other cars."

Peachy.

Wait. Hear other cars?

"Hear other cars?"

Kevin was silent for a few moments then replied, "I was in the trunk, I couldn't see out."

Oh. That musta sucked.

"Oh. That musta sucked."

Echo...echo...

Kevin didn't answer but instead started shuffling toward where I thought the exit might have been. He reached out his hands and slowly crept forward, looking kind of like he was a zombie or like a sleepwalker or something. I barely stifled a snicker at the image. He paused for a moment, his shoulders slumping slightly before he started moving again, pretending to ignore me. I felt slightly guilty and made a mental note not to even think about snickering at him again.

Finally he reached the wall and started feeling along it. His eyes must not have adjusted to the dark quite as well as mine had because I could see where there was a big dent in the upper wall where the hole was covered. He slid slowly along the wall, trying to find it.

"Getting warmer," I called as he moved toward it.

He stopped again and I could hear him taking a deep breath. Probably counting to 10, too. "You could help, you know," he spoke after a few moments. His voice was tense. He should have counted to 10 a second time. Besides, I was helping. Didn't I tell him he was getting warmer? I felt guilty that I couldn't really help more than that, though. Damn leg.

I watched as Kevin finally found the entrance and began pushing at the boards that covered it. After watching him a few moments I realized that he didn't seem to be getting anywhere with his efforts. We were so fucked. A sentiment Kevin vocalized a few moments after I thought it. Except he didn't use the word 'fucked'.

Maybe if we both pushed at it? If we were going to get out, leg be damned, I was going to have to help push. That was easier thought than done, though. I nearly collapsed as I tried to limp over to where Kevin was. My knee couldn't even handle my weight long enough to take a step, and the result of trying was that my whole body began to shake uncontrollably and try to shut down. Fortunately (?), that pesky survival instinct kept kicking me in the ass to keep me moving. I hopped as best I could over to Kevin.

"On three we both push," I said, steadying myself on my one good leg and leaning my shoulder to the board. Kevin let out a small hissing breath and started to push. He couldn't even wait for "three"? Probably not, since it was my idea instead of his. I started to push, too, but it was really hard to balance on one leg while pushing, so I wasn't very effective.

"Nick..." I could hear the quiet defeated tone of his voice and it spurred me on to try harder. We had to get out. We weren't going to die here. We weren't going to just sit here and wait for Ed to come back. But Kevin stepped back, not even trying anymore.

No. We weren't giving up. Maybe Kevin could, but I couldn't. The thought of what would happen to us when Ed came back...

I could fuck you if I wanted to.

We had to get out. No matter what. Even if it meant causing more damage to my leg. I stopped trying to balance on one leg and squared off against the board. I closed my eyes and grit my teeth with determination as I braced to take another run at it. I didn't even bother to try and stifle the cry of pain as I dug my feet in and pushed with my full strength.

There was a loud cracking sound and I thought at first it was my leg as I fell, my leg completely giving way. Dirt rained down on me, followed momentarily by a wooden slat and a lot more dirt. I was in so much agony, that I couldn't enjoy the fact that I had broken through. We were free, but I couldn't get away. I couldn't even sit up without aggravating the injury to the point where I was about to pass out.

"Nick?" Kevin asked softly. I heard him moving toward me. And then he was stepping on my hand. It actually helped. It took my mind off my leg. Kevin realized that he'd stepped on me, though, and he moved back quickly. Or tried to, but ended up tripping and falling. "Nick?!" he called again, sounding really worried.

"I'm okay," I tried to assure him, though I figure that the strained sound of my voice didn't really convey okayness. I pushed the board off me and started brushing off the dirt. The pain was starting to lessen a little again, but it was still far worse than it was before. Why couldn't it still be numb, but not bendy? I could deal with that. Pain was a different story.

I managed to sit up so that I could get a look at my leg.

Fuck.

Shit.

Insert other cuss words of choice here.

I wasn't going anywhere on that. It didn't look remotely like a leg should look anymore. My knee was now about twice the size it should be, and there was a large lump (oh god, tell me that’s not my kneecap) on my thigh. Just looking at it made it hurt worse. So I looked at Kevin.

Now that I'd broken through the board, there was a little more light filtering in and I could see him a little better. He looked about as good as I felt. Maybe a little worse, even. His whole face was kind of puffy. And his eyes were wildly red. And I thought I'd had a nasty crying spell? Daaaang! Apparently his had been worse. But of course, I wasn't going to mention it. Not when I'd been practically in tears every minute of the past few days. And not like there wasn’t good reason.

"Did you hurt your leg again?" he asked quietly.

Duh? Hello? Can't you see that my kneecap is on my thigh? Naaah, doesn't hurt. "Yeah," I answered tersely. Kevin let out a small hissing breath. As if I liked the situation any better than he did? "I...my knee's out of place."

Kevin stared blankly at me.

"I don't think I'm going to be able to walk," I informed him, so ashamed that my voice was barely above a whisper. I can’t believed I fucked it up this bad. And there was no way I was going to ask him to carry me.

Kevin nodded slowly. "Okay...can you walk if you lean on me?" he asked.

I licked my lips. Well...quite frankly, no, I didn't think that was going to be an option. But, the only other choice was to send him for help while I sat here. And waited for Ed to come get me. "Yeah," I answered quickly.

"Okay. Hang on a second. I think Ed said something about there being water." He turned and slowly began walking away from the exit. "I think it's over here somewhere."

I looked to where he was headed. It was still pretty dark back in that corner, but with the little bit of light that was coming in, I was able to see that there was a small cupboard in the corner.

"Try in the cupboard," I suggested.

Kevin grumbled something, and continued moving slowly back that direction. He stumbled as he walked right into the bag that was on the ground. He reached down and picked up the bag, spilling more stuff out. Tent stakes and stuff.

"We should take the tent maybe?" I suggested, though I hated the idea of being out here long enough to need it. But if what he'd said earlier was true--that we were out in the middle of nowhere--then maybe it would come in handy.

"Tent? Oh...yeah. Sure. I'm getting the water, think you can get it back in the bag?" he asked as he dropped the bag again and started shuffling back to the corner.

I sighed. I wasn't looking forward to moving at all, but I also didn't want to make Kevin do all the work. So...I started inching my way over to the tent bag.

As I crawled through the dirt collecting tent stakes and stuffing everything into the tent bag, I heard Kevin rummaging around in the cupboards. About the time I finished shoving everything into the bag, Kevin appeared at the corner of my sight. He had two gallon jugs of water.

Oh yeah, thank you, God. I reached out to take one from him. He seemed somewhat reluctant to let me have it, though. I was about to cuss him out (what, I was in a pretty lousy mood by then) when he finally let go of the jug. I opened it quickly and began drinking it down. Gulp after glorious gulp.

“Don’t drink too much of it,” Kevin nagged. I snorted. Yeah, like I hadn’t ever figured out to stop drinking when I’m not thirsty anymore. “It might be all we have. I don’t know how long it’ll be before we find more water.”

Oh. True. Good point. I stopped drinking and replaced the cap. Kevin held out the other jug. “Trade me.”

I reached up to hand him the other jug, but he didn’t take it. I signed and leaned forward a bit more so that I could put it into his hand, then reached to take the other one. I watched as Kevin opened the jug and took a few sips.

Maybe I shouldn’t have drank quite as much as I had if he was only going to drink that little bit.

Stupid selfish brat.

Despite all the water I drank, my mouth went completely dry. And I felt suddenly nauseous. Can’t face the truth, can you, spoiled little shit?

I felt a little better as I saw Kevin splash some water into his face. Apparently that wasn’t enough because a few moments later, he tipped the bottle back and dumped a lot more water on himself. So...maybe I hadn’t been too out of line with drinking so much if he was going to spill it like that. But I wouldn’t waste any more again. I’d let Kevin have the water. I would use it only when absolutely necessary.

I’m not selfish; I swear I’m not.

Kevin capped the water jug, looking decisively upset about something. Probably realized that he’d just dumped a lot of our precious water out. It was okay, though. With me anyway. But obviously not to him. He scowled as he turned away from me. I wanted to tell him that it was okay, but figured he’d only berate himself more knowing that I knew he was upset about it. So I kept silent.

He stayed turned away from me for what seemed like eternity. I wasn’t sure whether I should just wait him out or if I should try to assure him or what. That was his sort of department, not mine. I’m good at it with fans and stuff, but...not with Kevin. He never needed it. Like ever.

While I waited for him, I started getting nervous again. Ed could be coming back at any minute. What if we were still here when he came? We really needed to get moving.

“Kev?” I called quietly, wanting to get his attention, but not upset him further.

“I’m fine,” he snapped, though when he turned toward me a moment later, it was obvious that he was not. His eyes were swollen as ever. I looked away from him, knowing that I hate it when people see me cry and I was sure I was probably the last person he wanted to see him do so.

“Okay...good,” I replied, keeping my voice soft and trying not to sound hurt by the way he’d snapped at me.

He looked slightly guilty as he inched toward me. “We should go.”

I nodded. I wasn’t sure how the hell I was going to walk out of there, but I was as ready to go as I could be. I held out my hand, hoping for help up.

“Need help getting up?” Kevin asked as he stepped toward me.

“Um...yeah. That would be why I’m reaching out,” I mumbled. He looked rather frustrated as he stepped a little closer to me and held out his hand. Great. Thanks a lot. Maybe I should just try hopping out of here on my own if he was going to be like that.

But I knew that was unrealistic, so I slid forward a bit and grabbed his hand. He hauled me to my feet and I ‘thanked’ him by stumbling right into him and nearly knocking us both over. I nearly blacked out again from the pain searing through my body. Fortunately, Kevin got a good hold on me and managed to keep us both on our feet. “Sorry,” I apologized, feeling horrible that I was going to be such a huge burden on him. Then again, when wasn’t I?

“It’s okay,” he assured me.

Okay, now to figure out how to situate. I was going to have to lean on him to get out of here, but...my hand were still chained together. I couldn’t just put an arm around his shoulders. Crap. This wasn’t going to work at all.

“Kev...I don’t think I can do this,” I tried to tell him, my voice coming out so small that even I could barely hear it. “I...”

Kevin swore under his breath a little.

Stupid spoiled brat. Think everyone should cater to you. Selfishselfishselfish

“I’m sorry,” I tried to apologize again, feeling way more pathetic than I’d ever felt before in my life.

“No. It’s okay, Nicky,” Kevin’s voice finally took on the tone I was used to. Authoritative. Protective. “It’s okay. Just...can you put your arm around my shoulders?”

“The cuffs...I can’t.”

“And you can’t walk at all?”

Humiliated I shook my head.

“Not at all?” he asked again, sounding really tired. I hadn’t tried. I’ll give him that, but it was obvious that I couldn’t. I wasn’t sure whether to be more upset that I couldn’t do it, or pissed that he had to beat the point into me. Didn’t I feel bad enough already?

“I’m sorry, all right?” I apologized again, feeling the tension rising.

“Nick...”

Damn it, Kevin! “Like you could walk like this? My kneecap is on my fucking thigh. What do you expect?” My pissed off side had broken past the humbled side. I immediately felt horrible that I’d snapped. The last thing we needed was to be pissed off at each other. And...I needed his help. Now was not a time to be an asshole. “Sorry. I’m sorry. Just...I’m in a bit of pain here. I’m sorry I can’t walk.”

Kevin’s eyes had closed while I fumbled through my apology. “No. Nick...it’s okay. We’ll deal. Can you...put your arms around my neck?” He ducked down so that I could put my arms over his head without the chain getting in the way. Oh no, this wasn’t going to be awkward at all.

I accidentally hit him a bit with the jug of water and tent bag as I settled my arms around his neck. My stomach felt a little queasy. Too close. I didn’t want to be this close to anyone. I felt gross. Unclean. I didn’t want anyone to touch me.

Think you’re so much better than everyone else?

No. I don’t. I just--

I could fuck you if I wanted to.

I stared fearfully into the steel grey eyes as he pinned me down. “No...don’t...” I tried to pull back, away from the body invading my personal space. “Don’t touch me...”

“Shhh. Nicky, it’s okay. It’s just me. It’s Kevin.”

I stopped struggling immediately, forcing myself to relax. I’d done it again. “Sorry. For a moment...” I shook my head. I didn’t want to talk about it.

“For a moment?” he prompted, ignoring the head shake.

“I just...thought I was somewhere else,” I answered carefully. “Sorry.”

“Oh.” I could just feel the pity in his voice. “Sorry.” Why was he apologizing? “Okay, you can lean on me?”

“Yeah,” I answered dryly. Like I had any choice? I was pretty much literally hanging off him now since my chained arms were wrapped around his neck. I couldn’t move away. And noooo, it wasn’t awkward in the slightest. (Oh yeah, that was sarcasm, by the way.) “But I don’t know how we’re going to walk like this.”

Kevin took a step forward and I cried out as my leg was jarred. I didn’t mean to, but I couldn’t help it. He stopped. Oh yeah, this was going to suck. And I was pretty sure it just wasn’t going to work. The queasiness got a ton worse as reality really sank in. I wasn’t going to be able to go with him. He was going to have to go for help. And I was just going to have to hope he got back in time. I could feel the panic starting to rise again.

“I can’t do it,” I tried to keep my voice steady as I admitted defeat. “You’re going to have to go for help.”

Kevin let out a really big sigh and I felt about two inches tall.

Think everyone should cater to you? Spoiled selfish brat spoiled spoiled spoiled

“Nick...”

“I’m sorry!”

“I can’t go without you,” he protested gently.

“No. It’s okay. I’ll...maybe crawl farther into the cave or something so if he comes back, he won’t be able to find me. Don’t worry.”

“It’s not that,” Kevin admitted, his voice sounding as humiliated as I’m sure mine sounded.

I suddenly had a really bad feeling. I looked at him worriedly. He was staring at me with an odd expression. Oddly...blank.

“I can’t go without you because...I can’t see.” What? “I’m...blind.”
Eye of the Beholder by Chaos
Author's Notes:

This chapter was added to this fic on 1/1/09. It's from the ex-companion piece "Turning Tables" but I've decided to combine the stories into one with alternating chapters. Sorry for the confusion.

 Brian POV

"If it weren't for Ed, I would have been the one shot. He saved my life."

I generally don't believe in hating people. It's a waste of energy, and hate doesn't solve anything. It just makes you and everyone around you miserable, and makes the world that much darker a place to live. Before you go calling me a hypocrite, I'll admit that I might not always like everyone, but I'd never really hated anyone before. But at that moment, I hated Ed Peterson with every fiber of my being. Every word that came out of my mouth made me hate him a thousand times more.

I couldn't even look at D or AJ as I spewed out the garbage that Ed was making me dish out. How was I supposed to look them in the face and tell them that Kevin tried to kill me and that he'd taken off with Nick? They would never believe it. Not even coming from me. And I knew that I would probably break down completely if I had to see their disbelief at my wild tale. They'd hate me for saying such horrible things about my cousin.

I hated me for saying them.

So instead of looking at AJ and Howie, I focused on the two people who'd come in with them. By their suits and no-nonsense looks, I had them pegged as the detectives in charge. They were the ones that I had to convince of Ed's 'innocence'...and Kevin's supposed guilt. That was going to be the hard part. Nobody would ever believe me that ole Kev would or even could do such a thing. And it was killin' me to that I had to tell them all he did.

Not that he did, mind ya'll. Anyone who knows Kev knows he wouldn't hurt nobody. Especially not one of us fellas. Sure he'd get all mad at us now and then and everything, but with him mad amounts to pissed off glares and possibly a few fightin' words, and a week's worth of groveling on our parts to get him to talk to us all again. His anger would never involve kidnapping or picking up a gun and shootin' nobody. Although, honest, I'm unsure as to how Ed did get shot so I guess maybe Kevin did do that...maybe. If'n he did, it was only because he had to. To save Nick and me.

The two detective people didn't look like they were at all surprised by my announcement. Ed had said that they would believe me without question, and he was right, that son of a bitch. Did he like have them on payroll or something? It wasn't like we paid him that much though. He made more than an average bodyguard, I figure, but still...enough money to pay off detectives? Assuming they were really detectives. I don't think anything would surprise me anymore.

"No way," Howie muttered, shaking his head. I couldn't turn to face him, but watched him from the corner of my eye. I sucked in my breath and held it for a few moments, willing myself not to give in and tell him the truth right then and there. My stomach felt like it was burning as I poured out the lies. But I couldn't tell them the truth. Not right now, anyway. It would ruin everything. We'd never get Kevin and Nick back if I ruined it now. I would never be able to find the place Ed and I left them in a million years.

AJ was shaking his head in denial, too. I didn't blame either of them, but I couldn't deal with them right now. I'd tell them everything later, when there weren't any detectives or even bodyguards around. Nobody that would go to the police. I couldn't risk that happening. I could convince AJ and Howie not to tell, but I wouldn't bank on keeping anyone else quiet.

I got to my feet and went over to the detectives, brushing off AJ's hand as he reached for my arm. I felt the anger intensifying as I felt a tear rolling down my cheek unchecked as I did what I had to do. I would never forgive Ed for this. Not that I'd forgive him anyway.

"He went crazy. I don't know what happened. One minute Ed and I were trying to get Nick out to Ed's jeep so we could get him to the hospital. His knee was dislocated again when he fell off the bridge at the concert," I explained as I'd been instructed. "Anyway we were in the hall and heard a loud bang. I didn't even know what it was until a minute later..." I paused, pretending like it was too hard to say. It was too hard, actually. Just not for the reason I wanted them to think. "Kevin came around the corner and was just...insane. He yelled at us to stop. And I turned around and...he had a gun."

I went on, telling them how Kevin had insisted that Ed give Nick to him. But Ed refused. So Kevin had pointed the gun at me and threatened to shoot. I hated telling that lie especially, but I had no choice. "Ed...he saw the gun pointed at me and he shoved me aside at the last moment. He...he took the bullet for me."

I found myself having trouble looking at the detectives either at that point, so I was looking guiltily at the ground. They probably figured I felt guilty because Ed had gotten hurt instead of me, though, so I was still okay.

The 'detectives' glanced at each other and the woman nodded as she jotted down a few notes in her little notepad thingie.

"No fucking way," AJ refuted angrily. "You ain't gonna believe that shit are you?" He grabbed my arm and turned me around. He looked positively mortified. "Why are you sayin' that Brian? Howie *knows* about Ed..."

Damn him! Why couldn't he just go with me on this? He didn't understand! One glance at Howie told me that he didn't either, but he wasn't going to say anything. He just stared disappointedly into my face as if he were trying to see the truth there somewhere. Howie would, no doubt, confront me about this later. Which was okay. Once we were out of ear range of the others maybe I could tell them. When I got the chance to talk to them and explain everything, they'd understand why I was doing this.

"So what happened after Ed was shot?" the woman asked, leaning forward. She looked so smug. Like she already knew the answer and was relishing making me tell it. I held her gaze despite my growing anger.

"Kevin came after me."

"This is bullshit!" AJ protested again, glaring at me with a hurt and angry expression. It was obvious he couldn't believe that I was turning on my cousin like this. I had to do something to let him know I was lying purposely, something to get him to bare with me until I could explain what really happened.

"When Ed fell, he landed on Nick and knocked him out. And Kevin...he came at me. I tried to stop him, with some of that um...spray stuff. Pepper spray. The stuff Geo gave Nick," I explained, emphasizing Geo's name as I looked pointedly at AJ, knowing he'd know that was a lie since it was Lon that had handed out the pepper spray. AJ scowled for a moment but then it was like I could see the light going on. One eyebrow raised as he stared at me for a moment, then he turned away, as if he were sulking. But now he knew something was up and for now he'd keep quiet. So I continued with the lies. "I tried to use the spray, but it ended up getting in my eyes, too, and Kevin got it away from me. He slammed me into the wall...and I guess I blacked out. I don't really know what happened after that."

The woman nodded. "What about when you came to?"

I bit my lip. "We were in the car. Ed was driving and I was in the front seat. My wrists were bound to the door handle thing," I informed them, glancing at my bruised wrists. "Nick was still unconscious in the back. I thought at first that he'd been shot because he...he had blood all over him." That much was true. It was among the worst moments of my life.

"Nicky!" I cried out, horrified by his prone form sprawled in the back seat.

"Shut up and sit still," Ed hissed at me. "We're almost there."

Almost where? But I knew better than to ask. I looked around, trying to gain some sort of bearings. We were on a winding dirt road that was going up into these...I don't know if they'd qualify as mountains or not, but they were close enough to qualify in my book.

"Please...Ed," I pleaded. I hated calling him by name, but maybe it'd emphasize that he was a friend. Emphasis on the word 'was'. "He's hurt. Let me help him."

"He ain't hurt. Not bad anyway," Ed laughed. "It's my blood, you moron."

I blinked and looked at him. Sure enough he had blood all over his shirt and he had some sort of towel or something wrapped tight around his shoulder.

I turned in my seat to watch Nick as we kept going wherever it was we were going. I wondered what happened to Kevin. I silently prayed he was okay. Ed had probably just left him back at the arena. Two hostages were enough to handle and all.

Finally, the car rolled to a stop. We hadn't passed a single car the entire time I'd been awake. We'd only gone deeper into the mountains. And now we were stopped before some sort of mine or something. It was clearly abandoned, and had been for quite some time. The entrance looked like it could collapse at any moment.

Ed got out and opened the back door.

"Leave him alone!" I protested as I watched him begin pulling Nick's body from the back seat. I was filled with rage as I remembered what Nick had told me about how Ed had tried to...do stuff to him. No way was I going to let that happen to my little brother. Especially he was unconscious, unable to fend for himself.

Ed only laughed, looking at me spitefully as he stopped pulling on Nick only to take a few moments to run his hand up Nick's hip and over his bared chest. I felt sick as . That fucking bastard! I began pulling frantically at the bindings on my wrists, trying to get free. Ed's eyes locked with mine and he taunted me, touching my best friend's unprotected body. After a few moments, though, he stopped.

"Don't tell me what to do with what's mine," he chided me. "But now's not the time for fun." He pulled Nick the rest of the way out of the car, dropping him unceremoniously on the ground. I heard Nick moan and was somewhat relieved. At least now I knew he was alive. I just wished I knew what Ed was going to do with us.

Leaving Nick on the ground, Ed went around to the back of the car and popped the trunk. I couldn't see what was going on back there, but I could hear him struggling with what sounded like a heavy load. I could hear him swearing and then the sound of someone getting sick.

"Get up," Ed sounded very unsympathetic. "Now move."

I winced as I saw Kevin stumbling around the side of the car. He'd been trapped in the trunk! Oh God. I've heard about people dying from monoxide poisoning from riding in the trunks of cars. My rage grew stronger at Ed for taking that risk with my cousin's life. Of course, he was probably planning to kill us all anyway, I realized. He couldn't let us go. We knew who he was. He probably brought us out to this godforsaken mine so he could kill us and dump the bodies where they'd never be found.

Kevin certainly did not look well. He was shuffling forward in an obvious daze. He was apparently having a lot of trouble staying on his feet.

"Your friend's right over there," Ed instructed Kevin. "Pick him up. We're goin for a little walk and I can't carry him."

"And that's my problem how?" Kevin snapped.

"We leave him here, we leave him with a fucking bullet in his head."

At that threat, Kevin shuffled forward a few steps then sank to his knees and crawled toward Nick. God, he could barely walk himself and he was expected to carry Nick?

As Kevin reached Nick and began trying to pick him up, Ed came around to my door. He pulled it open and quickly unhooked the wire binding my hands to the door-handle. "Get up. Don't even think about trying to make a break for it, or doing anything 'brave'." He hissed at me as he pulled the gun from his belt and aimed it at me.

I nodded and obediently got out of the car. Once I was on my feet, he instructed me to go over and help Kevin with Nick as it was quite obvious that my cousin was having trouble.

"Let me help," I murmured to Kevin as I got closer. I winced as I got a better look at him. Besides looking overly pale, his eyes were horribly bloodshot and the skin around them was red and swollen.

"Brian?" he asked, looking over at me blankly.

"Yeah. You okay?" I bit back the words 'you look terrible' because that's probably the last thing anyone wants to hear when they already know how terrible they look.

He blinked a few times and shook his head. "I'll be fine," he replied after a pause. He stumbled forward a few more steps, Nick's weight obviously throwing off his balance. I almost smiled. Same old stubborn coot, my cousin...

I lost the urge to smile as Ed aimed the gun at him. Kevin only stared blankly at him as he continued to stumble forward. Not even flinching at the gun aimed at him.

Ed forced us into the mineshaft. I wished I could talk to Kevin and organize some sort of escape attempt. It was three against one. Well, two against one since Nick was still out cold. And Ed was already injured. He'd stopped the blood flow, but it was clear that he'd lost a lot of blood. So he'd be weak. Easy to take down. Unfortunately, the gun in Ed's hand still tipped the odds in his favor. So we obediently followed along with him as he forced us deeper into the mine. I, for one, cursing him every step of the way.

Just a few feet into the mine, Ed grabbed my arm and practically flung me against some sort of cabinet. "Get a shovel and a hammer," he ordered, watching as Kevin continued shuffling forward. I glared at him for a few moments before opening the cabinet and pulling out the items he'd asked for. Great. He was probably going to make us dig our own graves with that shovel. Bastard. I was about to take a chance and try to hit him with the shovel when he shoved me in front of him and pushed me forward with the barrel of his gun, keeping it pressed to my back as we followed Kevin farther into the mine. I'd have to try that later, though, once we were to our destination. After all, it would take a while for us to dig a grave and he couldn't possibly keep his guard up the whole time. I swore the first moment he got distracted I was going to kill him.

"How far do we have to go for you to kill us, Ed?" I asked him, trying to make my voice conversational rather than accusing. While I didn't want to piss him off, I wanted this to be on his conscience.

He only chuckled a little and prodded me forward.

Finally we seemed to have gone far enough and he called for Kevin to stop. "Right there," he ordered, looking at me as he pointed the gun at the ground. I scowled. Right there, what? I looked a little closer and could see that there was only a thin layer of dirt over what looked like a big piece of plywood. I looked at Ed questioningly. He'd been here before? "Pry it up."

I dropped the hammer and did as I was told, pushing the dirt off a bit then using the shovel to pry up the board. Once I was able to lift it a little I tossed the shovel aside and reached down and pulled it out of place, revealing a small underground bunker room. Ed had definitely known about this place. How? I have no friggin idea. But it was apparent that he'd planned this all out.

I glanced over at Nick, who was still draped unconscious over Kevin's shoulder. I felt sick imagining Ed having planned to bring Nick here alone. My mind was racing trying to figure out just what Ed’s plan was. And whether or not the plan had included Kevin or I or if it had involved Nick alone. I felt sick thinking of Ed holding Nick in the basement of the hotel until we all left for the next stop of the tour. God, he may have made Nick ride all the way to Phoenix in the trunk of his car, then brought him out here to this mine alone. Do God only knows what to him. How long had Ed planned this, I wondered.

“Get in there,” Ed growled, shoving Kevin forward. Kevin barely managed to keep his footing at the push, and he stumbled blindly forward. He lost his balance completely at the edge of the bunker and he and Nick tumbled down into the room and sprawled in a heap on the ground.

Without waiting for Ed to give me an okay, I followed after my cousin and best friend. Nick groaned as Kevin rolled off of him. I just hoped that Kevin hadn’t accidentally hurt him worse.

“Nick?” I heard Kevin calling softly. He inched forward, his hand reaching out toward Nick but missing him. “Nick are you okay?” He crept forward a little bit more until he could reach Nick. He shook Nick lightly, but Nick only whimpered a little bit in response. “I’m so sorry...” Kevin whispered, sounding more distraught than I’d ever heard him. None of this had been his fault, but it was clear that my cousin was blaming himself anyway. I placed my hand on his shoulder, but pulled away quickly when he flinched.

“He’s gonna be okay,” I assured Kevin, who visibly relaxed at the sound of my voice. “We’ll take care of him,” I added, kneeling down beside them.

“Yeah yeah, ain’t that precious,” Ed mumbled as he dropped down into the room. He shoved a set of handcuffs at Kevin. “Cuff yourself,” he ordered. “Nice and tight, or I shoot you in the head.” Then he shoved a second set of cuffs at me. I started to put one around my wrist, but Ed reached out and stopped me. “No, not you. I need you with me.” I stared at him for a moment, not understanding. “Put ‘em on Nicky-boy,” he clarified as he motioned toward Nick with the gun. “Put his hands up over his head and cuff ‘em.”

I wanted to protest. I wanted to tell him to go to hell, that I wouldn’t help him hurt my friend or my cousin in any way. But I was too afraid that he’d just shoot one of them or myself if I didn’t obey. So I ignored the gnawing in my gut as I cuffed Nick’s wrists, careful to leave them as loose as I thought I could get away with. Nick’s eyes slowly fluttered open as I pulled his arms out, above his head. They fluttered shut almost immediately again, though. That’s right, Nick, just stay asleep, buddy. Don’t call attention to yourself...

I stood up and looked back at Ed, waiting for my next instruction. With any luck he’d have me go get that damn shovel and I could get another chance at taking his head off with it.

Instead, he kept the gun aimed at me as he went over to a cupboard on the bunker’s wall. He opened it and pulled out a tent bag. Dumping out the contents, he selected two tent stakes. He tossed one at me and took the other one over to Kevin. Grabbing Kevin’s cuffed hands, he stretched them up away from my cousin’s body then pushed the stake into the ground in the center of one of the chain loops. He looked at me expectantly, and then nodded toward Nick.

I shook my head. No way. “They’re out in the middle of no where,” I protested. “At least give them a chance. It’s not like they can go nowhere.”

Ed only chuckled. “Just do it, Brian. Or would you rather I shoot him?” Same stupid threat. It was getting old. Unfortunately, it was still really effective. I pushed the stake through one of the chain links and pushed it into the ground. I looked back up at Ed with a scowl. He chuckled as he picked up the discarded hammer and tossed it to me. “Make sure it’s solid.” He pointed the gun toward the stake I’d just pressed loosely into the ground. Damn it. I took a deep breath and nodded. I saw Nick’s eyes fluttering open again as I stood over him, getting ready to nail his handcuffs to the ground. I hated Ed for this.

I hit the stake a couple times, watching Ed for a sign that it was good enough. As soon as he nodded, I stepped away, staring down at Nick, hoping that he’d forgive me for this.

Ed grabbed my arm and pulled me back out of the bunker. “We can’t just leave them here,” I protested. “Not like this...they won’t have a chance!” I pictured them helpless to move and slowly starving or dying of thirst. Long, slow, painful deaths. “Please. Don’t do this, Ed,” I pleaded. “They need water. Food. Without it they’ll die.”

Ed motioned for me to move the plywood back over the bunker entrance. “There’s water down there. Two gallons in the cupboard,” he replied with a sneer. I stared at him with pure fury. He knew damn well they wouldn’t be able to *get* to that water.

“They can’t live more than a day or two like this,” I tried again. “Please. I’ll do anything you want if you’ll at least let me uncuff them. Give them a chance out here. We’re a ways out from town right? I mean...even if they got out it’d take them a long time to get back to town, so you could be gone by then.”

Ed only chuckled. He thrust the shovel at me as I finished settling the plywood in place. “Cover it.”

“They’re going to die without water,” I repeated.

“Well then, you just better hope that I don’t get detained by the police.” I kept my eyes on him questioningly as I began shoveling the dirt back over the plywood. “I need to get this bullet out of me. You are gonna make sure that we can get back out here in another day or so.”

“How am I supposed to do that?” I asked, frustrated. At least he intended on coming back. I didn’t want him anywhere near them, but I hated the idea of Nick and Kevin trapped down there in the dark for the last hours of their lives.

“All you gotta do is tell everyone that Kevin’s the one who kidnapped Nick, and shot me.”

I stared at him, incredulous. “There is no way that anyone’s going to believe that Kev did that.”

Ed laughed cockily and shook his head. “You shouldn’t have any trouble convincing them,” he assured me as he took the shovel back from me. I cursed myself for not having taken a swing while I had the chance. I wanted to beat that smug smile off his face. There wasn’t any way that I could convince anyone that Kevin had done that.

But it turned out that Ed was right, I didn’t seem to be having trouble convincing the police at all. They seemed to buy the whole story. “Kevin...he made Ed go get a van. Said that if we saw the police even drive past us that he’d kill Nick and me. So...I don’t know where he got it, but Ed got a van. I realized after he and Nick took off that I should have looked at the license plate...” I babbled, giving them the story that Ed told me I should tell. “He told me not to call the police or he’d kill Nick. He said that the police would probably be called once we got Ed to the emergency room, because gunshots had to be reported, but...we weren’t to call the police until then. He said...if the police were on to him before he got Nick across the border...”

I trailed off, unable to continue that story. It was just so asinine. I wished that Kevin and Nick were headed across the border instead of nailed to the ground in some godforsaken mineshaft bunker. A bunker I’d never be able to find without Ed’s help. He’d knocked me out when we got back to the car, so I didn’t get a chance to try and spot any landmarks that would help me find it.

He’d wakened me just outside of Phoenix and made me drive the last stretch to the hospital. All the while he outlined the story that I was supposed to tell. He also warned me that if I didn’t go along with it, I may as well sign my cousin and best friend’s death warrants.

Ed himself would go back and set Kevin and Nick free as soon as he was released from the hospital. And he said that I had better just keep my mouth shut and let him do it or I’d never see them alive again. If I went along with him, he would see to it that Nick and Kevin made it home safe once he was able to flee the country.

I didn’t believe that for a moment.

Ed had no intention of releasing them, I was certain. He probably would use them to get himself out of the country, but there was no way he’d let them go. Whether he intended to keep them like he’d kept Nick before, or if he would kill them outright, I didn’t know. But there was no way he’d just let them go.

So there was no way I could let Ed go get the guys on his own. I wouldn’t be able to find them in a million years, so I needed him. So I’d protect him for now. But the moment he was out of the hospital I was going to be ready.

Once the police left us alone, I’d even get AJ and Howie in on my plan, I decided. I’d tell them everything, and I’d get their help. That way while I got everything ready, they could stay here and keep watch over Ed to make sure he didn’t get away.

And while they kept him here, I’d be making the first move.

I’d get us a car.

And a gun.

As soon as Ed was released, we’d give him a taste of his own medicine.

It was time to turn the tables and kidnap the bastard.
The Hitch-Hiker by Chaos
Author's Notes:

If you're trying to find the new updates to this story, they're not actually the last 2 (well one of them is, but erm...yeah. So I'm getting ready to update with a real new chapter, but in order to do so, I'm integrating a "companion" story into this one--you *might* have read the chapters from a story called "Turning Tables" but that story never actually made it into this archive, so they may be new to you...they're chapters 1 & 3 (Where is Everybody and Eye of the Beholder) in this fic.

Old A/N: /N: Okay, my beta reader felt I should say something to the effect of the following: There’s a spot in this chapter where Nick starts acting strange (who’s acting? He is strange…jk…sorta ;)) and too childish seeming. There’s a reason for it, and it will make sense…(I thought it did anyway, but…well, maybe I’ll be doing a bit of a rewrite if others agree with my beta ;))

For Nikki (thanks for reminding me people are still waiting for the next chapter…sorry it took a LOT longer than I hoped it would…)

Chapter Four: The Hitch-Hiker

We were going to die. There was no way around it.

Oh sure, we were going to make a valiant effort and all, but this was pretty much a disaster waiting to happen. Or well, I guess a disaster that had already happened. Or something. Point was, the situation sucked. And it was getting worse by the moment.

“You’re sure you’re blind?” I asked again and immediately regretted my idiotic question. Obviously Kevin would know if he was blind. Besides, I’d already asked him that like ten times (okay maybe more like twenty) already and he had to be getting annoyed by it by now. “I mean…not like you don’t know you can’t see, but…is it like…permanent?”

“I don’t know,” he answered, his voice quieter than usual. Of course that might have been due to the fact that he was a little bit out of breath. I suppose adding my weight and the weight of our meager supplies to his load would do that.

I hated that he had to carry me. I mean how pathetic is that? Sure piggy-back rides used to be cool when I was like 5 (okay shut up, so it was still fun at 15, but that was mainly cuz it annoyed AJ to no end--and hey, our publicity photographers loved the shit out of it) but I grew out of that. At my age it was just plain ridiculous to have to be carried. And I didn’t like being that *close* to anyone. Plus it was hard to not complain whenever he had to shift my weight a bit. Every little jostle would send a shockwave of pain through my body, but I didn’t want to annoy him any more than he probably already was. I knew damn well that I wasn’t a light burden for him to carry.

It wasn’t just the pain, though, that made me hate being carried. It was the fact that because Kevin had to lug me around, we had to leave behind the tent. It would be sorely missed if we weren’t found by nightfall, but we needed the bag so we could drag the water along. Water was more important and harder to come by than shelter, we’d decided. But the full gallon jug and the remainder of the second jug were just too heavy to add to Kevin’s load. So we’d left the tent behind and used the bag to drag the water, tent stakes, and shovel that had been left just outside our makeshift prison cell. It sure would have come in handy when we were breaking out, but at least we had it now. I wasn’t really all that sure why we’d really need it, but we decided that it would be good to have, just in case.

It wasn’t until Kevin tripped over a rail that I realized that I had forgotten to watch where he was walking. He barely managed to catch himself before we both went over.

“Sorry,” I apologized, feeling even lower then before. I wasn’t even keeping up my end of the bargain. He was supposed to be my legs and I was supposed to be his eyes. “Uh…you should probably move to the left some.”

“Thanks,” Kevin answered dryly as he carefully stepped to the left.

We rounded the bend and I was happy to announce, “We’re almost out!”

Kevin grunted in reply.

Moody.

His mood didn’t get any better even when we did get out of the cave thingie.

For that matter, neither did mine, really. We were so screwed. There was like nothing there. Nothing. No stores, no people, no paved road. Not even a Quick Mart (which I swear to God are everywhere…well, except here, of course). We were literally out in the middle of nowhere.

And to make things even better, my stomach was starting to rumble. A fine time to finally get my appetite back, huh?

I guess I was quiet too long because Kevin finally asked, “Which way?”

I had no idea. It all looked the same.

Endless rock hills--practically walls--and lots and lots of dirt or maybe it was sand. Little patches of green here and there, but mostly…aw hell, we were going to die.

“We’re not going to die,” Kevin assured me when I told him so. I wanted to believe him. Really I did. “Now, which way?”

I swallowed hard, trying to keep my fear in check. Where the hell were we? The show was in Phoenix, so presumably we were still in California. Or wait, no, damn my brain wasn’t working quite right. Phoenix is the capital of Arizona. Or is that Tucson? I don’t know; geography never really seemed that important. But presumably we were still in Arizona somewhere. And that state is full of deserts and mountains and stuff, I think. At least there was one good thing. A dirt road, such as it was. “There’s a road,” I heard myself telling him, my voice amazingly steady. “Um…it goes to our right.”

Kevin hesitated for a few moments and I could tell he was mulling over whether or not he wanted to tell me something. Finally he spit it out. “We shouldn’t follow the road.”

What did he mean we shouldn’t follow the road?! It was the only way we knew how to get out of there! Besides, wasn’t that like one of the first rules of wilderness survival--stick to the roads? Or better yet, stay where you are and wait for someone to come rescue you. Of course I saw the problem with that theory before Kevin even had a chance to say it.

But he did anyway.

“If Ed comes back…we can’t be on the road or he’ll find us.”

I wanted to argue. Oh, how bad I wanted to argue. “Maybe…Brian will be the one to come back. He won’t be able find us either,” I tried, though my heart wasn’t in the argument. Much as I wanted Brian to be the one coming back for us, I wasn’t going to hold my breath.

Kevin didn’t bother to answer, and I didn’t blame him. I didn’t want to think about it, either. I didn’t want to think about what Ed could be doing to Brian.

“So…if not the road…” I looked around, my feeling of dread growing stronger. “I don’t know which way to point you,” I admitted. “It all looks the same.” And it all looked completely insurmountable. “It’s like…mountains…every direction.” I felt that damned lump growing in my throat and swallowed quickly, not giving it a chance to grow. “Kevin…I can’t climb, and you can’t carry me…”

“Watch me,” he practiacally growled. And I’m the one who’s supposed to be irrational? I couldn’t help but let out a single laugh, though it was more nerves than humor that caused it.

It seemed like forever that we stood there, absorbing the fact that we were completely and thoroughly screwed before I came up with another idea. “What if we followed like alongside the road and if we see someone coming…we hide? We could probably see a car coming from like a mile off.”

Before answering, Kevin sucked in his breath and held it for a few moments before slowly exhaling. He does that when he’s upset or pissed off. “Is there anywhere along the side of the road that we can hide?” he asked tersely.

There was a point. There were a few trees, but they were pretty sparse, really. And most of them were pathetically skinny things. Not exactly good for hiding behind. And if we could see a car coming from a mile off, chances were good that the people in the car would be able to see us from a mile off, too.

“No,” I admitted reluctantly. “But if we go away from the road…how are we going to find our way out of here? We don’t even have one of those direction finder thingies.”

“A compass?”

I was actually thinking of those OnStar GPS things, but yeah, he was probably right, a compass was probably more what we needed. “Yeah.”

Kevin thought for a few moments. “We’ll use the sun to navigate.”

It was so cool that he knew how to do that sort of shit.

Except…

“But you can’t see the sun.”

“I can basically tell where it is…besides, you can see it.”

“But…I don’t know how to do that navigation shi--stuff.”

“I’ll help.”

I nodded, still not feeling good about this. I still thought we stood a better chance of getting home if we stuck to the road.

Kevin removed his watch and handed it up to me.

“What time is it?” he asked.

I almost stupidly just told him to look for himself, but caught myself in time. “It’s almost nine? I don’t think this is right, Kevin. It’s too light out to be nine. It hasn’t even started getting dark yet.” It could be nine in the morning, I suppose, but the little AM/PM thing said it was PM.

Kevin shook his head. “It’s about 6, then,” he calculated. Duh, time zones. Didn’t the guy ever bother to change his watch to match where we were? “Which means the sun should be just about due west.”

Ok.

“We probably want to go south,” he continued. “So…if we put the sun at 12, the 9 should be pretty much due south.”

Huh?

I furrowed my brow for a moment trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about. Then it clicked. Okay, so…I held the watch up and pointed it so that the 12 was pointing right at the sun. “We need to turn a bit to the left,” I informed Kevin. As he turned, I turned the watch so the 12 continued to point right at the sun. “Okay. There. We should be pointing south now.” I looked straight ahead.

I blinked.

Crap.

“Um…it’s pointing us right back into the cave. Maybe we should go like…west or something and then south.”

“Yeah,” Kevin agreed reluctantly. He turned back so that we were facing the sun. I had to squint a little, but didn’t argue about it. “As soon as we can, though, we need to start going south.”

As soon as we could turned out to be a couple hours. That whole time there was like a solid wall of rock in our way. We possibly could have climbed over it, but I figured that so long as we were facing the sun and there was relatively…well, flat is the wrong word, because it was hardly that, but the hills were climbable, unlike the wall.

Kevin made us stop every few minutes and would make me tell him the time and then would tell me how to adjust our position a bit so we continued going as close to directly west as possible. At least that’s what he explained each time we stopped, but I was pretty sure it was also because he was getting pretty exhausted by carrying me the whole time.

“What time is it?” Kevin panted as he stopped yet again. I was going to find some way that I could walk. We’d attack one of the trees or something and break off some branches that I could use for crutches. Or something.

“It’s about 8:30,” I informed him.

“The sun’s just about down, isn’t it?” he asked.

“Almost.”

“Then we should probably stop here…for the night.”

“Yeah…I guess.” Damn I wish we could have brought the tent. I wondered how long we were going to be out here. Though we’d walked for a couple hours, it really seemed that we were no better off than we’d been before. Worse maybe because we didn’t even have the road that we could potentially follow back to civilization. Now we really were in the middle of nothing. And even though we were in Arizona (I hope) it was really starting to get cold. I was having trouble not shivering, even.

“We’re going to die out here, aren’t we,” I surmised morbidly.

“We’re not going to die!” Kevin insisted, sounding annoyed as he set me down before letting himself flop to the ground. I wasn’t sure what he was sorry for, exactly, but I nodded before remembering that he couldn’t see. I watched as he slowly lay down on the cold hard ground and closed his eyes, his breath gradually slowing.

“Sorry,” I finally murmured, watching him for a few moments. When he didn’t respond I figured he’d already fallen asleep. I dumped our belongings out of the bag and draped it over him, though it was a poor excuse for a blanket.

Since I hadn’t really had to do any of the work, I was still pretty awake. So I set about trying to find a way that I could walk on my own.

My first attempt nearly sent me screaming to the ground as I tried for the first time in hours to put weight on my bad leg. I’d forgotten how bad it really hurt; the hours of inactivity had settled the fire to a dull roar, but just that one moment of putting weight on it brought it back up to a full-scale bonfire level.

I wanted so bad to take the easy route and let Kevin keep carrying my sorry ass back to civilization, but…at the same time, I didn’t want to burden him like that. If it weren’t for the fact he couldn’t see, I think I would have just made things easier on him and…disappeared. Or something. Then he could have gotten himself out of there a lot faster. And without me, he probably could have taken the tent with him since he would have been traveling a couple hundred pounds lighter.

But since he couldn’t see, disappearing wasn’t an option.

I sighed and went back to Operation Cursed Leg. I looked at my swollen knee and felt my stomach revolting again. It was still grotesquely oversized. It would probably feel at least a little better if I could somehow get my kneecap back where it was supposed to be rather than keeping it on the thigh where it currently resided. When I’d dislocated my knee the first time it’d gone right back into place and my leg hadn’t hurt at all. Or at least not much. It just wouldn’t bend. So if I could get it back in place, just maybe I wouldn’t have to use that shovel to attempt to chop the whole damn leg off.

But how was I supposed to do it? I looked around, my sights settling on a good sized stick. That would have to do. I put it in my mouth and bit down hard before grabbing the gross lump on my thigh and trying to shove it back where it belonged.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up. It was quite a bit darker than it had been what seemed like just moments before. And it was a whole lot colder.

I guess that meant it didn’t go so well, huh? I blinked a few times and spit the wood out of my mouth before sitting up and looking back at my leg. Unfortunately, there was still a big bulge where there shouldn’t be one.

Fine.

This was war.

Where the hell was that shovel?

I was going to beat that kneecap back into place if it was…

No.

I had to think rationally. Calmly.

I followed Kevin’s method of taking a few deep breaths.

Calm.

Okay. I could do this. I just had to figure out what I was doing wrong. Had I ever seen anyone put a knee back into place? No. So how the hell was I supposed to--calm. Have to remain calm. Serenity now! I laughed imagining Jerry Stiller yelling that at the top of his lungs. Great show, but hardly helpful…

Wait. ER was on after Seinfeld. I used to watch that sometimes when I was stuck in hotel rooms, too young to get into clubs and all...I started trying to focus on that show. It was in a hospital. Surely there had been a scene somewhere where the docs had had to relocate a knee…Unfortunately I’d only seen a handful of episodes.

Damn it.

SERENITY NOW!

Fuck. Why the hell didn’t I watch Dr. Quinn with my sisters? Other than that it was such a sappy snorefest?

Okay, wait. I remembered something from ER after all. One of the doctors had dislocated his shoulder. So another one had pulled his arm while…that was it!

I just needed to have someone pull my leg (sudden images of AJ asking me to pull his finger made me feel amazingly homesick, but I couldn’t let myself focus on that, I needed to focus on my leg) so I could pop the bone back in place.

“Kev?” I asked softly, trying to determine if he was really asleep or not.

There was no reply.

I sighed. It could wait until he woke up.

I lay back on the ground and shut my eyes, hoping that sleep would come for me as easily as it had for him. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get comfortable, and every time I tried to shift into a better position, the pain would flare up again.

Maybe I could wake him up. He would be able to go right back to sleep. I looked over at him sleeping soundly and vetoed the idea.

But maybe I could do it by myself after all. All I needed was something to hold my leg in place…like rope or something. If only the handcuffs could have been around my ankles or something. Okay so then I wouldn’t be able to walk even if my knee was in place. But damn…if only we had some rope or something.

Shoelaces were as close as I could come up with. I pulled the shoe off my good foot and began unlacing it. Within a few moments I had one lovely shoelace. I tied it around my ankle and looked for something else to secure it to. There wasn’t much to work with, but finally I settled on a tent stake. I plunged it into the ground and forced it as deep as I could. Then I tied the other end of the lace to the stake.

Here went nothing.

I closed my eyes and sucked in my breath before clenching my teeth and pulling my body backward, hoping to stretch out my leg enough that I could get the kneecap back in place.

FUCK!

It wasn’t that it hurt. It didn’t really. The problem was that it didn’t work.

I seriously curse all the times that I didn’t replace my damned sneakers when Kevin told me I needed to. Fucking shoelace. I know it was getting kinda ratty and all, but damn. Didn’t think it’d break in half that easy. I pulled the useless half-lace from my ankle. I unlaced the other shoe and tried again. With the same result. I cursed under my breath. So that was a completely useless idea. What else was new? And now I was out two shoelaces, too.

I began scouring the site for something else I could use to secure my leg in place.

At first it just seemed like there was nothing.

I was doomed to walk (or be carried around) the Earth with my kneecap on my thigh for all eternity.

Then it came to me. If I couldn’t tie it, fine, I’d have to secure it another way. Like wedging it between a rock and a hard place. And I saw just the spot to do the trick. It looked like there was just a little cubby hole where a bunch of rocks and boulders were leaning against a wall. If I caught my foot in that little hole and pulled…

“Kev?” I called softly one last time, hoping that he were actually awake and would save me a whole lot of effort. Unfortunately, he was still quite asleep. So it was on to Plan B.

I slid myself over to the boulder and lay down, sliding my bad foot into the small space between the boulders and the wall. I bent my good knee and scooted farther, until a large portion of my bad leg was tucked into that little hole. Then I tried to angle my body so that my foot would catch on something. After a little bit of maneuvering, it felt like it was held solid. So I took a deep breath, preparing myself for an onslaught of pain and pulled with all my weight.

I’m not sure what exactly happened, but in hindsight, I think I almost qualified for the Darwin Awards.

I swear to God, I saw stars. Not just one or two, but a whole damned solar system.

“Way to go, doofus,” AJ mocked, his hand flicking out and plinking me in the forehead.

“Shut up,” I growled at him, closing my eyes, hoping that the stars would go away. And AJ…especially because I swear he was beating me in the head. And stomach. What the fuck, AJ? All I wanted to do was sleep and he just kept poking and hitting me. Fortunately, when I didn’t open my eyes again, he got the idea and went away and let me sleep in peace.

The next thing I knew, Kevin was yelling my name. He sounded borderline hysterical. Why was he yelling at me? At least it got AJ to stop. But my head was pounding like it does when I’m nursing a dreadful hangover. “Not so loud,” I called back to Kevin, quietly.

Thankfully, he did stop yelling. “Nicky? Jesus, Nick. You scared the fuck out of me. I couldn’t find…”

He just said ‘fuck’. I laughed, greatly amused by the man that always chided me for using “foul language” saying it.

“Nicky?” he suddenly sounded very concerned.

I sleepily opened my eyes to look over at him. Except I couldn’t see him. Everything was really blurry. I blinked a few times, but it didn’t get any clearer. For some reason, I found that to be pretty funny, too. I honestly don’t know why, but I couldn’t stop laughing.

“Nick?” I could see his exceedingly blurry form moving toward me, looking like some blob from outer space. “Nick, where are you?” Jesus, I was only a few fricking feet from him, couldn’t he see…? Oh yeah.

“A few feet to your right. No my right. Your left. No…wait.” I burst out laughing again, trying to figure out whether I was to his right or left. I don’t know why it was so funny, but it was…I think. Especially when the blob was moving closer.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I replied, stifling my laughter and mentally taking an assessment. It had gotten really cold overnight. I started to sit up, but thought better of it as the whole world started to spin and I felt several rocks and a lot of dirt roll off me. I lay back down, hoping the dizziness would go away. Maybe I wasn’t quite so fine after all. Like things could get any worse? Of course, I’d thought that the day before. “Or not.”

“Not?” his voice got a whole lot quieter again. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

Now there was a good question. “I…tried to fix my leg.” Which, come to think of it, didn’t seem to hurt so much this morning. Or was it still night? No, it was morning, I think. It was light out, anyway. I tested my leg a little by trying to bend it. It wouldn’t bend at all, but I didn’t really feel much pain anymore, just a really strange pressure. But no pain. Not in my leg anyway. My head was still throbbing. I reached up to rub my temple a little to try and alleviate the pain.

There was something kind of crusty on my face. Damn but I needed a shower. I started to brush whatever it was away, but it pulled at my skin and kinda hurt, so I left it alone. Slowly it dawned on me that the pounding in my head was probably caused by something, and I hadn’t been out drinking.

“I think I hit my head,” I realized aloud. “I think…it was bleeding.”

For a few moments he didn’t respond, and I wasn’t sure if he heard me. I wasn’t completely sure that I’d spoken, for that matter, but finally he did answer. “Is it still bleeding?”

I started to shake my head, but that caused the dizziness to turn to nausea. He couldn’t see me anyway, I reminded myself, grinning at my stupidity. “No…I don’t think so. Damn it’s so cold this morning.”

“It’s not cold, Nick…” The Kevinblob moved closer, slowly inching forward. “Where are you?”

I had to think for a moment. For some reason it was harder than usual. Stupid brain. “Near Phoenix, I think.”

For a few moments the Kevinblob stopped moving and I could hear it breathing in a long slow breath. “Am I about to step on you?” he sounded like he was talking through his teeth.

Why would he ask that? Probably one of those trick question thingies. I laughed. “Yooou’re goofieeee.” What the…did I really just say that? I laughed again. Damn but my brain wasn’t working right. The Kevin-shaped blob kicked something into my face. Jerk.

“Sorry. I can’t see.”

I knew that. Wait. “You can hear my thoughts?”

“What?”

“Just now, you could hear me call you a jerk?”

Kevin let out an exaggerated sigh, followed by an exasperated, “Nick, you said it out loud, of course I heard it.”

Oops. I snickered as he shuffled forward. “I think you’re about to step on my head,” I warned, finding that funnier than it should have been.

Kevinblob knelt down, reaching forward, almost poking me in the eye. So I bit him.

What? It made sense at the time, okay?!

“Damn it, Nick!” he hissed, flinching back for a moment. “Where did you get hit?”

“Um…my head, I think.”

“Thanks,” he answered dryly. Then his blobby hand was slowly reaching forward again. I fought the temptation to bite it and instead grabbed it and guided it to the spot on my temple.

“Ow,” I complained as his finger jabbed the spot. But he probed it again anyway. Then his hand was lying flat across my forehead.

“You’re burning up,” he assessed, sounding rather astonished.

“Nuh uh, it’s freezing out here…” I replied, shivering dramatically for effect.

“Christ…what happened? How did you hit your head?”

“I tried to fix my leg,” I reminded him. Duh. Or wait…something about AJ…?

Kevin shifted, moving toward my legs but stopped short. “Fucking christ…”

“You shouldn’t take the lord’s name in vain,” Brian chided.

“Yeah, duh, Kev,” I chimed in.

“What?” Kevin asked. I could hear him moving something and felt some of the strange pressure moving off my legs.

“What Brian said.”

I heard him suck in his breath. “Nicky…Brian’s not here.”

I laughed. Of course he wa…no, he wasn’t. I stopped laughing. I’d heard him. He’d been here. Brian was here just a moment ago. But he couldn’t have been, I realized. Oh God, he was dead, wasn’t he? Ed killed him…I’d just heard his ghost! I felt my eyes watering up. “He’s dead…”

“Who’s dead?” Kevin asked, in alarm.

“Brian…he’s…”

“No he’s not,” Kevin snapped. A moment later, he continued, but his voice sounded a lot gentler. “Brian’s fine. He’s just not here. Now hold still…I don’t want more rocks to fall on you.”

More rocks?

I tried to look down my body, but everything was blurry…but I couldn’t see my legs at all. I saw the Kevinblob moving stuff off me and realized he was right…I’d been half buried under what looked to be a lot of rubble.

“Can you slide back at all?” Kevin asked after a minute of moving stuff off me. The pressure on my had legs had let up tremendously so it was worth a try, I figured. I sat up a little and used my arms to pull myself back away from the rock heap. I could feel my legs again. And better yet, neither of them particularly hurt.

“Good. Okay, now hold on…”

To what? I had no idea, but whatever. While he went to do his thing I checked my leg. It still wouldn’t bend, but it seemed that I’d somehow managed to get my kneecap back in place. Go me. Even if I did take down half the damn mountain to do it. (Okay, like a millionth of the mountain, but still…)

“Drink some of this,” Kevin ordered, handing me the almost empty water jug. I obeyed, but only took a few sips. We had to conserve, I knew. “No. You need to drink more,” he insisted, tipping the water jug back up as I tried to lower it.

“Don’t we need to save it?”

“No, you’ve got to drink it, Nick. You’ve got a fever…you need to keep hydrated.”

Now that he mentioned it, my lips did feel really dry. But…what if we didn’t find the way back? I must have asked that aloud without realizing it because he answered.

“We will. We have to.”

“But…”

“We need to get to a doctor…I think we have to go back to the road.”

“What about Ed…what if he comes back?”

“I don’t know…but I think the road is our only choice…we can’t take the chance of getting lost out here. Not when you’re burning up like this.” I keep telling him, I’m freezing, not burning. “I hate to even move you, but we have no choice…”

“Sorry…”

“Don’t…it’s going to be okay. But, we better get moving. What time is it?”

I looked down at the watch, but…I couldn’t see the numbers at all. All I could see was the blurry blob.

“I don’t know…I can’t…I can’t see the little numbers.”

There was a long pause before Kevin spoke again, and when he did it was very slow and deliberate. “What do you mean you can’t see the numbers?”

“Everything’s all…blurry. I can’t see.”

Kevin sat heavily on the ground beside me. For what seemed like an eternity we just sat there. I could hear the hitches in his breath, but wasn’t sure if it was him trying to get his temper under control or if he was crying. When he lay down and rolled his back toward me, though, I had a pretty good idea that it was the latter.

“Kev?” I asked, softly. I wanted to say we were going to be okay, but I knew he wasn’t going to buy it. When he didn’t answer, I tried again. “Kev?”

And then he said the words I’d been dreading since the moment we’d started this journey. The words that, when coming from Kevin’s lips, proved that there really was no hope:

“We’re going to die.”
The Rip Van Winkle Caper by Chaos
Author's Notes:

Okay, first truly new chapter for this story since...good god I don't even want to admit how long.

AJ POV

Waiting rooms suck. I just don’t understand the whole concept of them. I mean come on, how can you just sit around and stare at some stupid talk show or soap opera or whatever the hell is on the stupid little screen while someone you love is under the knife, or  fighting for their life, or missing or…or all of the above?! Sure, it’s distracting and the overstuffed chairs and couches are comfy and all, but it just seems like we should be *doing* something.  We should be out there searching! Brian had to know where they are; or at least where they were. So why wasn’t he telling? Brian was up to something, but I’ll be damned if I was going to sit there and listen to him defend that psychotic asshole. Brian was obviously lying, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why. And just why the hell did Agents Nutter and Grey believe his outrageous story? Even our guards seemed to be hanging on every word. Did they even know us? I can’t even imagine Kevin holding a gun, much less that he would do something crazy like kidnap Nick. As pissed off as the kid can get him sometimes, there’s no way I’ll ever believe that Kevin would beat the shit out of him like that. I paced the room as Brian continued spewing his crap about Kevin turning psycho and running off to Mexico with Nick. I didn’t buy it. Not for a moment. I wanted to trust Brian knew what he was doing, but it was grating on every one of my already frayed nerves listening to him. When the agents made him start telling it all over again, I couldn’t take it. I had to get out of there.  I saw Agent Grey look up as I made my way to the door, but when I glared back at her, just daring her to stop me from leaving, she simply nodded and turned her attention back to Brian and his ridiculous fabrication. Once I was out of the waiting room, I realized I had absolutely no where to go. I wanted to do something, anything, to help Nick and Kevin. But what the hell was I supposed to do? According to Brian they were on their way to Mexico. If I thought it would help I would go rent a car and chase them down at the border, but I just couldn’t imagine that that’s where they really were.  So I paced the hallway until I noticed one of the nurses giving me an evil glare and nodded toward the waiting room. I looked over to find that Lon was standing in the doorway, tactfully keeping his distance even as he watched me. I knew I should go back there, but I don’t want to wait anymore.  Maybe I should go and rent a car. Yeah, I’m going to do it. Then I’ll drag Brian’s ass into it and make him show me where Ed left their bodies.  All the air rushed out of lungs and I suddenly couldn’t breathe.  It was that moment that I realized that I honestly thought they were dead. Ed killed them. He dragged them out to the desert somewhere, forced them to their knees, stuck the barrel of the gun to the backs of their necks and… I was never going to make it to the restroom even though it was only a few yards down the hall, so I stumbled and grabbed for the waste basket next to the nurse’s station, falling to my knees before it. Two of my best friends--my *brothers*--were gone.  “AJ?” I heard Howie call my name and suddenly he was there, rubbing my back as I dry heaved again and again. I hadn’t eaten anything since before the concert, and that was hours ago, so there was nothing to throw up, but that didn’t stop my stomach from trying its hardest. “Shhh, calm down,” he was trying to soothe me, but it just wasn’t working. How could I calm down when Nick and Kevin were rotting out there in the desert somewhere with bullets in their brains?  I heard a few people asking Howie if I was okay, but it wasn’t until I heard Brian’s voice that I even tried to respond.  “How could you just leave them…?” I rasped out, sitting back slightly on my heels, though I couldn’t look at him.  “You dolt,” he hissed and I felt him swat the back of my head. Startled, I looked up, forcing myself to look at him. “You know me better than that. You think I left them because I wanted to?” he growled, looking angry, hurt, and worried at the same time.  I shook my head. I knew he wouldn’t if he had a choice. I just couldn’t figure out what was going on with him. And not that I wasn’t grateful or nothing, but why was he here when the others weren’t? Why did Ed spare him? “I don’t have time to explain,” he said, as if he could read my mind. He glanced over his shoulder then back to me again. “I need your help.” His eyes darted over to Howie for a moment. “Both of you.” “Of course,” Howie answered without hesitation. “What do you…” “Think you can procure us a car?”  Again, without as much as a question as to why, Howie agreed.  “You’ll have to ditch security,” Brian added, his grim expression indicating that this was no joke. At Howie’s confirming nod, he continued. “Meet us back here in half an hour. That enough time?” Howie nodded yet again. “Okay. Exactly half an hour, then,” he added nervously. “Just wait in the loading zone, leave the car running.” I could tell that Howie desperately wanted to ask the same million questions I wanted to, but Brian shook his head to cut off any questions. “Not here. I’ll explain once we’re out of here. Half an hour.” He was borderline babbling as he repeated the time frame.  With that, Howie headed down the hall, stopping to talk to Lon for just a moment. Lon gave him a long hard look and for a moment I thought whatever Brian’s plan was would be halted before it even began. But then Lon waved Jack over and after a quick word sent the two on their way. Howie would still have to figure out a way to ditch his guard, but at least we weren’t dead in the water. I felt a whole lot better knowing that within half an hour we’d be on our way to Mexico or wherever it was that Kevin and Nick were rather than just sitting around here feeling helpless. “You done with all that?” Brian asked, glancing at the garbage can. I shrugged. Honestly, I did still feel sick, but it wasn’t going to do anyone any good to focus on that.  “What do you need me to do?” Brian closed his eyes for a moment, his lips moving as if he were saying a tiny little prayer. His skin paled a bit and I thought for a moment he was going to be sick. When he opened his eyes again, they wouldn’t quite meet mine.  “I need you to get a gun.” “Excuse me?” I couldn’t have heard him right.  “I’m thinking it’d be easiest to get it from Geo,” he added hastily. “Lon won’t even let you get close to his. Geo…he’s more trusting and he might not even notice it’s gone if you’re quick enough.” He was serious.  “Brian,” I started, a bad feeling growing in my gut. He was going to kill Ed. That’s why he needed Howie to procure a get-away car and be ready and waiting. Not to go after Kevin and Nick, but to escape. I couldn’t let him do it. It wasn’t that Ed didn’t deserve it, of course, but even under the circumstances it would still be murder one. And prison wouldn’t agree with Brian. I’d like to say I’d do the deed for him, but prison wouldn’t agree with me, either. Which meant I really couldn’t help him. Howie would have the excuse that he didn’t know, but me? I’d be an accessory. I shook my head. “AJ, we don’t have a choice. We can’t let the police arrest him or they’ll die before we ever find them. So will you help me?” I rubbed my hand absently over my chin. My instinct was to say yes, of course. I mean it was Brian for godssakes. But could we really do this? Except…now I wasn’t sure what exactly “this” was. Brian said they’d die, which meant that Nick and Kev were currently alive, so that was good. And while I didn’t know exactly what it was that Brian had planned, I trusted him. He’d never done anything to steer us wrong before, and I couldn’t believe he’d do so now. Besides, if I didn’t get the gun myself, he’d probably do it himself. As long as I had the gun, I’d be able to talk him out of doing something completely crazy.  Brian let out a small sigh of relief and gave me a grim smile. “Good. Meet us at the car. Don’t be late no matter what. If you can’t get Geo’s gun without tipping him off…we’ll figure something else out. It’s more important you’re there on time. And make sure he doesn’t follow you” “What’re you going to do?” I asked. He smiled bleakly. “You don’t want to know.” For a moment I saw a glimmer in his eyes that made me think that life was actually normal again as he added, “Plausible deniability.” While I wasn’t sure what he meant by that, and I did want to know, let it go and we went our separate ways. He ducked into the restroom while I headed back to the waiting lounge. Which led me to the question of how the hell was I supposed to get Geo’s gun while Lon and the agents were all right there watching?  I sighed and flopped into the chair next to his, my heart beating rapidly, my nerves completely on edge. “I can’t believe this...” I murmured, glancing sideways at our guard. “Doesn’t make any sense,” he agreed. “I can’t believe Kevin would do something like that.” “He wouldn’t. There’s got to be something we’re missing.”

Geo bobbed his head warily. “Can’t believe he’d shoot Ed.” “Yeah. Hope he’s gonna be okay,” I lied.  “Sounds like he’s going to be fine. Doctor came in a few minutes ago and said he’s already out of surgery. They’re waiting on a room, I guess.” Damn it that was so wrong! He should be dead or dying or something. I angrily punched the armrest on my chair. “I just hate waiting,” I lamely explained.  “Yeah, me, too, kid.” And then he presented me with a perfect opportunity. “You know, I bet they have a cardio gym here. We could see if they’ll let us work out a bit. Get our minds of things.” I nodded and looked over at Lon, almost holding my breath as we waited for his verdict. “I’ll come get you as soon as they let us know Ed’s room number.” The lovely ladies of the cardio unit turned out to be quite accommodating. Not only did they invite us to spend as much time as we wanted using the equipment, but Kelli the cute little blonde therapist on duty even offered us use of some scrubs to wear as workout clothes and use of her very own locker to secure our own belongings. I smiled brightly as I pocketed the key. All I had to do then was wait it out until it was time to go meet the fellas. If I took off too soon, Geo’d probably figure it out and come after me, so I hopped on the treadmill and took a slow jog, biding my time.  Just a few minutes before my deadline, I slowed to a stop. Unfortunately, so did Geo.  “I’m just gonna go take a piss,” I informed him, hoping it’d deter him from following me back into the locker room. My heart sped up as he hopped off his treadmill and grabbed another towel, anyway. “And then maybe stop and…talk to Kelli,” I added, wagging my eyebrows, hoping that he’d take the hint that I didn’t want him to follow.  He hesitated for a moment and I felt my heart sinking. “Don’t worry, I won’t go far,” I lied. He glanced at the clock, then back at me. “Well, not in distance anyway,” I swear I almost cringed, myself. Like I’d really hook up with a girl now while my brothers were still out there in danger? Still, it was the only thing I could come up with on short notice. I’m not sure if I should be a bit pissed or proud of the fact that Geo bought it. He broke into an amused grin and shook his head, chuckling. “I’m sure you won’t.”  I let out my breath and headed alone to the locker room to retrieve his gun and get the hell out of there.  My heart raced as I stole through the halls, expecting someone to stop me at any moment, be it Kelli, or perhaps a fan recognizing me, or worse Lon or one of the agents. Miraculously, though, I made it outside unscathed. Unfortunately, there was no sign of Howie or Brian when I got there. Crap. I looked at my watch. I was only a minute late. They couldn’t have left already. I looked back toward the building, wondering if I should cut my losses and hope I got Geo’s gun back to him unnoticed.  Where the hell were they? I couldn’t just stand out here. Sooner or later someone would recognize me, or one of the guards would come looking or…I looked up as I heard the sound of tires squealing on the pavement as a car roared around the corner of the building. I tensed as it came toward me a lot faster than it should be going. I was just about to dive for the building when someone slammed on the breaks and it screeched to a stop a few feet away. The passenger side door popped open and I saw Howie waving frantically at me to get in. I swear I hadn’t even gotten the door shut before he was off again, racing out of the parking lot. “What the hell…?” I growled at him as I situated myself, scrambling to get the seat belt on before he crashed us into something and killed us. “Did you get it?” Brian asked tensely from the back seat. “Yeah, I got it…now what--" “And he didn’t follow you?” “You didn’t see him when Howie tried to run me over, did you?” I snapped, a little frazzled.  “Sorry, we just had to get out of there quick.” “Yeah, no kidding,” I snorted. “So where exactly are we headed?” I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw Brian looking over his shoulder. “I don’t think we’re being followed,” he informed us, ignoring my question. “Pull off over there, maybe?” he suggested to Howie, who slowed the car to a normal pace and then did as Brian suggested, pulling into an empty parking lot and slowing to a near stop before Brian added, “See if you can get around behind the building.” Once the car stopped, I popped my belt and turned around in my seat to talk to Brian. Except that he was already getting out of the car. Damn it. I grumbled to myself as I followed him. “Can I have it?” he asked. Against my better judgment, I pulled it from where I’d tucked it into my waistband and handed it to him. He took a deep breath and moved around to the trunk of the car. “Pop it,” he called to Howie as he raised the gun and aimed it at the trunk. I had a really bad feeling about this. A feeling that was confirmed to be quite valid a moment later as the trunk popped open revealing a ton of hospital laundry and to my astonishment, the unconscious body of our former bodyguard. Holy crap.  We just kidnapped a man.
End Notes:
Okay, I know it's not that exciting a chapter, but it's all stuff that had to get done in order to get the story back on track and moving again.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1200