The Wolf's Blood Red Roses by Anastacia
Summary:

A town with a dark past intices a young woman into the deepest parts of its history. Each being inside the town harbors sinister thoughts and actions. Each being keeps part of a secret history that can destroy the bold woman. Can she unravel the tale in time to save the one she learns to cherish most?



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Howie
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Fantasy, Suspense
Warnings: Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 25672 Read: 32542 Published: 12/08/03 Updated: 12/11/05

1. Hot Summer Night by Anastacia

2. Settling Homestead by Anastacia

3. Meeting in the Sunset by Anastacia

4. Tell Me a Ghost Story by Anastacia

5. Midnight Howls by Anastacia

6. Forbidden by Anastacia

7. Frustration by Anastacia

8. Gossip Kills by Anastacia

9. Midnight's Lessons by Anastacia

10. Nine Lives by Anastacia

11. Divine Healing by Anastacia

12. Painful Decisions by Anastacia

13. Midnight's Sacrifice by Anastacia

14. Prayer of Silent Tears by Anastacia

15. Insanity by Anastacia

16. Animal Intelligence by Anastacia

17. Obedience by Anastacia

18. Foreshadowing Recollections by Anastacia

19. Keep My Confidence by Anastacia

20. The Emerald's Tale by Anastacia

21. Ominous Behavior by Anastacia

22. Malevolence by Anastacia

Hot Summer Night by Anastacia
Chapter One ~ Hot Summer Night

Anastay smiled to herself as she gently tapped her fingers on her steering wheel. Her window was rolled down as the hot summer air blew into her flaxen locks. She was trying to stay awake as the hot Southern air rained against her.

She had spent way too many hours on the road. Dusk was nearing at a faster pace than she wanted. She was aching for rest. However, she was careful to watch as the roads began to curve and wind. She finally knew she was in the right place – Hicksville.

This was where her father had grown up, and many years of family before him. Anastay thought most of her family had been raised in this part of Florida. She was going to be living in Canines–Rose, Florida. It was a small town with no real attractions. Hours away from anywhere fun, but her father had begged her to work there.

The name struck her as odd, but Anastay was always up for an adventure. The Everglades were a place for adventure in her eyes. Canine-Rose was deep in the woods, no one around for miles. Her father said her deepest passions would always get her into trouble. So far, Anastay thought her dad was right.

Anastay was almost about to doze off, but a whining sound caught her attention. Anastay looked sideways to hear her small puppy barking. Anastay chuckled as dropped her right hand off the steering wheel and ruffled the dog’s large ears.

“So, Taco, ready for a new life?” Anastay asked her small Chihuahua. He was so tiny as he rode in his special car seat for dogs. Anastay loved Taco with a passion. She made sure that he had everything the pup could ever want. He was her baby, until she could find a man to settle down with. One more reason for her to get away into Florida, that way her father couldn’t pressure her.

Anastay felt her mind wander as Taco yipped a reply. She laughed as Taco licked her hand. She focused back onto the road ahead of her. “Oh, yes, Taco. We’re finally own our own Baby. No more trouble for us. We’re finally in the easiest road of our life.”

Taco gave a whine as he settled into his car seat. He snuggled with his pillow and drifted to sleep. Another few minutes until she reached Canines-Rose, Anastay could not wait. “Thank you for the support, Taco.” Anastay yawned as she leaned over and popped her Meatloaf CD into her CD player. She had come to love her GT Cruiser. Her life of being Daddy’s little girl had paid off well.

“This is more like it,” Anastay grinned with delight as she turned up the volume. “You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth” was playing in her ears. This was one of her favorite songs. Relief flooded her body as the harvest moon flooded the dark sky. Billions of stars twinkled as Anastay rounded the last curve.

“On a hot summer night/ Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? / Will he offer me his mouth? / Yes/ Will he offer me his teeth? / Yes/ Will he offer me his jaws? / Yes. / Will he offer me his hunger? / Yes. / Again, will he offer me his hunger? / Yes. / And will he starve without me? / Yes,” Anastay whispered softly to herself along with the CD. She watched the sign past her reading “Canine-Rose, Welcome.”

Anastay watched carefully as the song continued. “And does he love me? / Yes. / Yes.” Anastay continued as she glanced around the small town. She noticed a large mansion sitting on top of a nearby hill. The ancient bricks were decaying and slowly deteriorating with its age. The moonlight cascaded an eerie glow onto it as Anastay guided her car into her parking lot. She would be living beneath the old mansion.

“On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?” Anastay asked herself within the song as she killed her engine. She sat for a few moments, peering around her home. Then, as if on cue, a wolf howling could be heard in the distance.
Settling Homestead by Anastacia
Chapter 2 ~ Settling Homestead

Anastay whistled to Taco as he went tearing off down the small road. She was impressed with the small town. It held all her needs, plus the quietness she craved. More or less, her house was unpacked. She had bought a large antique house that had just been renovated. It stood a few miles away from the creepy mansion that greeted her on the drive in to town. Her father had called ahead for a pool to be installed, just for the muggy Floridian nights.

Anastay gave a satisfied grin as she walked back into her small office. Taco was playing with one of his toys as she lugged in her medical equipment. The reason she was in Canine-Rose, was for her medical career. She was establishing her practice as a family doctor. Her father had started in the small town, and suggested Anastay do the same. The town’s doctor had just recently passed away, and gave Anastay an opportunity to sneak in.

“Cute dog,” a voice called into Anastay’s thoughts. She yelped in surprise as the box she was holding came crashing down to her feet. She hissed in pain as the edge of the box caught her in the foot.

“Son-of-a-bitch!” she hissed in one long breath.
Taco yipped at her feet as she bent over to hold onto her Adidas sneaker. She glanced to see boxes of gauze, cotton balls, and other supplies come spilling from the box. Anastay submersed a groan as she was drawn into a pair of chocolate eyes. “Can I help you?”

“I’m sorry, your dog was gnawing on a toy in the doorway, and I noticed that you were in here. I had to stop by and give my official welcome,” the man rambled as he took off his sheriff’s hat. He looked about her age, maybe a year or two older. She offered a kind smile, even though her foot was aching.

Anastay quickly absorbed his physical features. He was a tall man and quite lean. His arms raked with tattoos as she took notice to the goatee, chin piercing, ear piercings, and sunglasses covering his face. His dark hair was tipped with a frosty blonde. He was the sheriff of Canine-Rose, and Anastay already knew he was a hotshot.

“I don’t believe I caught your name?” he asked with a flashy smile. Taco snorted as he pushed the boxes around with his nose. Anastay chuckled as she took the box from Taco and started gathering them into the box.

“That’s because I didn’t throw my name to you,” she replied as she folded the box back up. Anastay glanced up to catch the man glancing at her figure. Anastay’s father and mother had warned her that she was quite a dashing lady to be so single. She had natural flaxen locks that hung straight to a little way past her shoulders. Her gray eyes were dark and flecks of emerald flashed within them. Her tanned cheeks were lightly splashed with freckles, although her naturally southern-dark skin. She was above-average when it came to height, and held a strong and active body. She was what her father called the “cat’s meow.”

“Well, care to toss it?” the man joked.

“Why?” Anastay asked as she blew a few piece of stray hair away from her eyes. She set the box down on a nearby table. She glanced at the dust and webs huddled in the corners of the office. She needed a major cleaning job before she could open up practice.

“Because, you’ll find out that everyone knows everyone’s business in this small town.”

“Well, you seem to be the head-honcho around here, correct?” Anastay asked as she leaned against the counter. She folded her arms beneath her perky breasts, watching the sheriff’s eyes light with interest. She held in the desire to kick him in the pants.

“That I am,” he boasted.

“So, Sheriff, what’s your name?”

“Alex.”

“Any last name to go with that?”

“If you’re lucky.”

“Let’s try my luck, then.”

“McLean.”

“Sheriff Alex McLean?” Anastay repeated.

“The one and only.”

“Congratulations.”

“And our pretty new doctor?”

“Dr. Anastay Lontenz.”

“Anastay Lontenz,” Alex repeated with an amused expression upon his face. Anastay cringed. It felt like Alex was undressing her with his eyes. She narrowed her gray orbs at him.

“Don’t forget the ‘Doctor’ in front,” she answered. She rolled her eyes as Taco jumped at her leg. She thought silently, ‘Which reminds everyone that I am at least several hundred IQ points higher than you, sheriff.’

“You are quite a young thing to be working all alone.”

“I graduated in top of my class, Sheriff McLean. I’m sure I’m extremely qualified to take care of your people,”

Anastay replied as she reached down to pick up Taco. He licked her hands as she cuddled him closely. Alex was making her paranoid and uneasy. She wanted to hit the man, already.

“Anastay, you can call me Alex.”

“Well – Alex – call me Dr. Lontenz.”

“Sassy little thing!” Alex whistled as he slapped his khaki-covered leg. Anastay watched as Taco gave an annoyed whine. Anastay held in a laugh – Taco was more observant than a human. Alex gave Anastay an interested smile, “You better watch that pretty little mouth, otherwise you might get in a heap of trouble and not get anyone’s help. You might be the wolf in sheep’s clothing.”

“Is that a threat?”

“No, Miss,” Alex answered as he placed his hat back on his head. “Welcome to Canine-Rose, I’m sure we’ll be seeing you around. If you get a chance, there’s a little bar down the street. Stop in there around eight, and I’ll introduce you around.” Alex gave a wink as he walked out.

“Loser,” Anastay muttered as she set Taco down on the table. “Men, I swear, Taco. He begins by threatening me, and then has the nerve to ask me out? Where does he get the balls?”

Taco gave a whimper and glanced at his bright purple ball still rolling around upon the floor. Anastay chuckled as she left the dog down to play more. “I know, Taco. Get back to cleaning.”
Meeting in the Sunset by Anastacia
Chapter 3 ~ Meeting in the Sunset

Anastay decided to let Alex know that she wasn’t interested in him, and went home after cleaning up the office. She would be opening up her family practice on Monday, if she could find a nurse. She took a deep breath as the sun started to set into the valley, leaving bright streaks of color in the pale sky.

Taco yipped impatiently as he scratched at the door. Anastay gave him a frustrated groan as she pushed her door open, letting the dog run hurriedly into the house. “Yes, oh great king, let me bow to your every need.”

Taco never answered her. Anastay figured he went running straight to his fancy doghouse that Anastay had bought for indoor use. She had no children to lavish with gifts, and so she settled with lavishing her attention on Taco.

Anastay walked into her living room and plopped on her velvety sofa. She sank right into the old fabric. She had this couch since she was a child. She could recall sitting on her father’s lap while she read him tales of wolves and magic lands. She could still smell her father’s aftershave on the couch.

Anastay found it eerie that this used to be her father’s house. She had stayed here as a young child, until her mother had ran off. Then her father moved her to the city. She had already decorated her house, knowing it meant a lot to her father for her to live there.

Her bedroom was upstairs and to the left, and the first door. Her room was done in bright purples and blue jean materials. She was still a child at heart, which was demonstrated through her choices of music, clothing, furniture, and other things. Her grandmother had crafted her bedspread. It was done with colors of purple patches, blue jean patches, and blue jean pockets.

The bathroom was attached through Anastay’s bedroom and the hallway. She had decided to have dolphins decorate the bathroom. Beautiful scenes of dolphins and Orcas leaping from the sunset colored oceans leapt at anyone who entered the bathroom.

Anastay had formed the other bedroom into her study. All of her medical books were arranged carefully in the shelving. Her computer sat on a mahogany desk, and a leather chair was tucked safely beneath the desk. There was a chair in the room for when Anastay need to do some research in her medical books. She would get the most use out of that room.

Downstairs held her kitchen, living room, and another bathroom. The kitchen led to her fancy in ground pool. Her father had adored the water as much as she did. She was thankful that he had someone come earlier to prepare it.

“Taco! Mommy wants to go for a swim!” Anastay announced loudly as she stood up. A dip in the pool would relax her from a heavy day of unpacking her office. She was about to run upstairs, but her phone rang shrilly. “Damnit,” she cursed as she picked up the phone, “Hello?”

“Is this Dr. Lontenz?” a female voice asked perkily.

“This is she, how may I help you?”

“You put an add in the paper for a nurse, correct?”

“Yes, are you responding to the add?”

“Would I be on the phone asking about it, when in reality I wanted to get you to buy some cosmetics,” the woman teased with a light sarcasm misting her voice. Anastay chuckled to herself as the women let go of a flirty laugh. “Is the position still open?”

“I’m not really sure about the cosmetics, but the nursing position is definitely still open.”

“Can I be the one to fill it?”

“Are you qualified?”

“Four year degree, registered nurse.”

“Any experience?”

“The hospital is about an hour out of town. To tell you the truth, it’s a pain in the ass to get there and back. Though, I was working to be the head nurse.”

“Sounds like I might take a risk.”

“Do you do that often?”

“Not really.”

“So, I get the job?”

“Monday is the first day. Be there at eight,” Anastay replied as she watched the moon start to glimmer in the darkened sky. She frowned, wondering if she would feel safe enough to take a midnight dip.

“Thanks so much!” the woman squealed.

“Wait!” Anastay blurted with laughter.

“What?”

“Your name?”

“Oh,” the woman chuckled sheepishly. “Elania Feethar, but most people in this town just shorten it to El.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you going to tell me a little about yourself?” Elania blurted quickly. Anastay almost instantly realized that Elania was quite the talker and very inquisitive – most nurses were.

“I’m your employer,” Anastay replied hastily, not comfortable with sharing her information with a female that she had never met before. What if she was just like Sheriff McLean? She crawled back onto her couch.

“I know that, but Alex has been saying–”

“Sheriff McLean?” Anastay gritted.

“Obviously he’s met you,” Elania giggled.

“How can you tell?”

“You sound pissed off.”

“He’s not the best welcome wagon, if that’s what you’re indicating.”

“Well, I could introduce you around?” Elania offered.

“I don’t–”

“Everyone is sure excited to meet you. Please?”

“I…”

“Meet me tomorrow at noon at the office. Okay?” Elania told her quickly. She gave a quick goodbye and hung up the phone, never giving Anastay time to disagree.

Anastay groaned heavily as she felt Taco lick her ankle. She glanced down at him and smile, patting the seat beside her. Taco eagerly jumped up and curled by her side. Anastay shook her head as she heard another howl in the night. She felt shivers creep down her spine as she glanced out the window. The moon was full that night, and it sat directly above the creepy mansion. Tingles spread through Anastay’s body as the moon cast an eerie glow on the decaying house. Anastay took a sharp intake of breath as she looked harder at the house, noticing another color not familiar with decaying matter – red.
Tell Me a Ghost Story by Anastacia
Chapter 4 ~ Tell Me A Ghost Story

Anastay sighed heavily as she walked down the street. She hadn’t even met Elania, but now she was going out on the town with her? She suddenly felt envious of Taco laying curled on her sofa by the fire. She didn’t know why she was actually agreeing to this.

“Could be because you actually don’t have friends,” Anastay told herself as she stood in front of her office. It had occurred to her that she had no clue what Elania even looked like. She suddenly felt foolish as she smoothed out her hip huggers. Anastay must have looked lost, although her outfit gave away to her good looks. She could tell just by the way the townsmen ogled her as they passed. Some of the wives had hit the men just as they let their guard down and their jaws drop open.

Why shouldn’t Anastay flaunt her good looks? She didn’t over exaggerate like most women, though. She wore her natural flaxen locks in a low ponytail at the base of her neck. Her freckles glistened in the heated sun as her gray eyes glimmer with the accent of her gray tank top. Her white hip–huggers sat neatly on her slim hips, revealing a small portion of her toned stomach.

“Dr. Lontenz?” a voiced called.

“That’s me,” Anastay jumped to attention as she spoke. She brushed the few strands of flyaway flaxen coloring as she straightened her back. She glanced in the direction of the voice. “I’m El.”

Anastay’s eyes locked on a petite girl that stood in front of her. The woman wore a black tank top with a pair of dark navy flares. She wore a belly chain around her toned cinnamon colored skin. She was small in stature and had a feminine build to her body. Her raven black curls were tucked away in a bucket hat as her dark eyes locked onto Anastay’s appearance.

“Hello, Elania,” Anastay greeted mechanically.

“It’s El!”

“I don’t think I know you well enough to use the nick–”

“I don’t think I want to work for you. You might be a little too uptight. Are all doctors like this where you come from?” Elania asked, getting right into a conversation as she tucked Anastay’s arm within her own. She reminded Anastay of a bird, very chipper and sweet–tempered.

“Not everyone is like me, I suppose,” Anastay replied with a small laugh. “My car is over there.”

“A new GT Cruiser?!” Elania squealed with delight.

“Yeah, why?”

“You must be a great doctor, because that is one expensive car!” Elania whistled as she ran her hand of the metallic purple paint. She nodded with approval as her dark eyes lit with excitement. Anastay unlocked the doors, trying not to laugh.

“It was a graduation from medical school present.”

“Your father rolling in the dough?”

“He’s a physician.”

“Did you have to be a physician?” Elania asked as she jumped into the passenger side. Anastay climbed into the driver’s seat and reached to buckle her seatbelt. She listened to Elania chatter away without hesitation.

“Would you like my address and social security number?” Anastay finally asked after getting bombarded with twenty more questions. She revved the engine.

“What?” Elania asked with confusion. “Why would I need that?”

“I don’t know,” Anastay laughed as she drove off.

*~*~*

“Have you been having fun?” Elania asked as they walked into the bar. It was vibrating with country music, and not too many cars were parked in the lot. Anastay figured that this would end up being the excitement in her life. A bar filled with people country dancing.

“Yes, I’ve been having a lot of fun,” Anastay answered as she bobbed her head in agreement. She couldn’t hurt Elania’s feelings. She had a feeling that she would become great friends with Elania. She was such a bright person and very charming. Anastay hoped that Elania would remain friends with her.

“Great! Then this is the best way to end a ngiht!” Elania declared as she pulled Anastay into the dingy bar. Anastay’s nostrils were greeted with a smell of decaying matter mixed with dampness. She crinkled her nose in distaste, hoping the smell would disappear, but she knew it wouldn’t.

The bar wasn’t in the greatest shape. It had been built with the youth of the town, and now it was pushing up daises with the youth. The bar was clouded over with smoke from men’s cigars and reeked of spilt beer. Darkness invaded Anastay’s sharp senses as the music blared into her eardrums. She felt Elania continue to tug at her.

“Kevin! Two Buds!” Elania called as she leaned over the bar. A man towering over Elania’s stature gave a nod, his dark raven locks falling into his face. Anastay offered a small smile, although disgusted with the man’s look. He seemed like a rock’n’roll junkie, selling his soul for a cigarette and case of beer. “That’s Kevin Richardson, he’s really a great guy. Let himself go when Kristen left his ass.”

“You the town gossip?” Anastay asked with a laugh as she sat at the bar.

“The one and only!” a raspy voice called loudly. Elania’s eyes grew bright as Alex leaned and delivered a swift kiss on her cheek. Anastay cringed at the sound of his voice. He went to lean over and kiss Anastay, but she quickly held a hand up in protest.

“I have a problem with communicable diseases,” she told him.

“Does that mean you’re germ–phobic?” Alex asked.

“Something like that,” Anastay told him with dry sarcasm. She watched Kevin lean over and hand Elania the two beers. Elania smiled and gave Anastay the one in her left hand.

“I already know you two have met!” Elania told Alex as Anastay took a long sip of her beer. She figured if she got trashed, she’d forget how annoying Alex was. “I’m also going to be working for Anastay.”

“You mean Dr. Lontenz,” Alex corrected her.

“No… It’s Anastay,” Elania answered with an amused smile.

“I thought you wanted everyone to call you, Dr. Lontenz?” Alex accused Anastay. She rolled her eyes as she took another gulp of her beer. She just wanted Alex to go away. Something about him scared her. He was too slick.

“Only you, Alex, only you,” Anastay replied with a smirk.

“I like when a woman plays hard to get,” he rasped seductively in her ear. Anastay cringed as she leaned far away from Alex’s touch. She gazed at Elania, who looked intrigued at how Anastay and Alex interacted with one another.

“So, what’s interesting about this place?” Anastay asked, wanting to change the subject. She watched Alex sit down beside her. She wanted to hit him, but controlled the urge. She tapped her fingers on the bar, trying to control herself. “I know every place has their own little story, so intrigue me.”

“What kind of story?” Elania asked.

“Any kind of story that makes this place more interesting.”

“I don’t think we have any. Canines–Rose is just plain…” Alex told her. Anastay gazed into his dark eyes for a moment. There was something forbidden hidden within his eyes. She took a moment, tilting her head in wonder. He was hiding something.

“That mansion we have is creepy enough,” Kevin told them as he brought Alex another beer. Kevin shrugged his broad shoulders as Alex passed him a menacing look.

“There’s a story about the mansion right above my house?” Anastay asked with interest. Elania was about to say something, but Alex shot her another dark look. Elania immediately closed her mouth, not wanting to cross Alex.

“There’s no story about the mansion,” Alex told her.

“But Kevin just said–”

“Kevin is a drunk.”

“Funny, he didn’t look drunk to me,” Anastay told Alex with a frosty glare.

“No one ever looks drunk.”

“You do.”

“You need to put a lock on that sassy mouth.”

“Then tell me the story.”

“There’s no story!”

“It’s obvious that you’re hiding something from me.”

“No, I’m not. Just keep away from the mansion,” Alex told her forcefully. Anastay was about to argue back, because she never heeded a word that a man said, but there was something evil in his eyes that made Anastay be quiet. That didn’t end her desire for the story behind the mansion standing menacingly on the hill.
Midnight Howls by Anastacia
Chapter 5 ~ Midnight Howls

Anastay hated being told what to do and when to do it. Sheriff McLean had no right to tell her to stay away from the mansion. It wasn’t his property. As far as she knew, no one ever ventured onto this property anyway. Why couldn’t she just have a tiny peek at the place?

“He doesn’t intimidate me,” Anastay gritted to herself as she arrived at the pathway leading to the mansion’s entrance. The weeds in the front of the mansion stood almost to Anastay’s knees. She noticed the large oak doors guarding the entrance to the home. She knew that the doors were probably locked. She noticed that some of the windows had been boarded up. The old bricks had turned to a sour gray, some chipping and breaking from its age.

Anastay let her eyes absorb all the sights within the estate. She noticed that the bushes of dead roses grew in front of the home, but had been unkempt for many years. Now weeds and dead grass choked the frail bushes from life. Anastay noticed a small pathway leading to the back of the house. She peered curiously at the stone pathway. It looked to be made something other than rough stone. Obviously, it was aged and dirty with years of soot. She bent down to rake one of her slender fingers over the stone with an eager curiousness. The stone wiped clear and Anastay’s eyes grew wide in surprise. The stone that lay before her was a snow-white marble.

“How could someone let such a beautiful place go to ruin?” Anastay asked herself as she stood up. She wiped the dirt off on her jean shorts and followed the marble stepping-stones.

She hummed softly to herself as she followed the winding pathway. She wondered what she would find ahead of her. She noticed slightly that the sun was dipping into the trees, but she didn’t care. She wanted to see what the mystery was behind the mansion.

She stepped over weeds and thorns as she continued down the winding path. Curiousness was getting the best of her. She kept trying to imagine what these marble stones could possibly lead. Was it a special place where two star-crossed lovers met in their midnight rendezvous? Could it be a special secret between a father and son, or daughter and mother? She couldn’t help wanting to know where she was going.

Then she saw it.

“Holy Mother of God,” Anastay whispered huskily as she stopped walking. Her hands dropped limply to her sides. The sight before her was astounding. There were miles of roses raking across the garden.

The placed looked to be exploded with roses. Anastay’s eyes glazed over at the overwhelming brightness of each single rose. They each were the color of crimson red. She had never seen roses so brightly colored before. She dropped to her kens at the beauty before her. The sweet smell enchanting her as she slowly brought her finger to touch a rose.

Her fingers slowly reached to brush the rose petal. She wanted so badly to feel the velvety softness. She took a small breath of air, but something stirred her.

Just as she went to reach for the petal, a low growl startled her from her thoughts. She yelped in surprise as her fingers slipped, brushing against the sharp thorns. A slice of pain ripped through her finger, instantly drawing blood.

She yelped in surprise, turning toward the source of the growl. Anastay’s eyes grew wide with surprise as she held onto her aching finger. She could not believe what she was looking at. The menacing growl grew into a louder snarl. Anastay’s eyes caught on a dark brown ember, which were the beast’s bright eyes. His dark lips curled around his sharp, white teeth. The saliva dripped down to the ground as his fur stuck up straight into the air.

Anastay was suddenly aware of how dark it was. Her primal instincts began to kick in as her senses became sharper. She actually feared for her life. She took a deep breath as she went to scramble away from the beast. She went to reach for something to grab, but the thorns sliced her skin again. She yelped in pain. Her mind blanked. She scrambled back to her feet, ready to outrun the animal, but the animal was gone. She heaved a breath of relief, clasping her hands tight together. “A wolf – My God, it was a wolf,” was all she could say.
Forbidden by Anastacia
Chapter 6 ~ Forbidden

Elania watched as Anastay shakily collapsed onto her leather chair. She popped a few more pills into her mouth and hungrily drank the water in her bottle. Elania thought that Anastay was acting odd. She tilted her head in wonder, “You okay? Nervous about the first day?”

“I’m more nervous about last night,” Anastay replied dryly as she smoothed the taped bandage on her palm. She had a few nasty cuts from the rose bushes last night. She had hoped everything had been a horrid dream, but her injuries ached with a reminder.

“What happened last night?”

“Nothing.”

“Well, you could have gone out with Alex,” Elania told her as she leaned against the desk. Today was Anastay’s first official day of business. She would open her doors in about ten minutes.

"I didn’t want to go out with Sheriff McLean.”

“Why?”

“Because I was at home washing my hair.”

“He said he was looking for you last night, but you weren’t at your house,” Elania told her. Anastay glanced at Elania with a small amount of fear. Had Alex followed her? Where had he been when she was facing that wolf?

“So? I don’t hear things when the shower’s running."

“You lie terribly!” Elania laughed.

“I’m sorry.”

“Where were you last night?”

“Out.”

“Where?”

“I went into town.”

“That’s like an hour drive!”

“I know.”

“How’d you cut your hand up?”

Anastay blanked. She knew that Elania was extremely curious as to her whereabouts last night. Anastay didn’t know why she was being so secretive, however. Therefore, she went and looked at some property, it wasn’t like she killed a person. She just saw a wolf. She knew she was crazy, but that’s what she saw.

“Anastay?” Elania voiced again.

“What?”

“Where were you?”

“I’m going to ask you a stupid question.”

“What?”

“Have you had any cases of wolves in this area?”

Elania’s face actually went pale. She narrowed her dark eyes at her new friend and employer. She didn’t need to ask anything else. Elania knew where she had been. She took a deep breath and grasped the desk, holding onto it tightly. “Anastay, you cut your hands on the roses, didn’t you?”

“What the Hell, how did you know?” Anastay asked, becoming leery.

“Because, it was obvious.”

“No, it wasn’t.”

“Anastay–”

“Are there wolves?”

Before Elania could answer, Alex came striding into the office. Taco rose from his pillow and growled loudly at Alex. Anastay’s body became icy with remembrance of the wolf. She gave Elania another cold glance.

“Hello, ladies!” Alex greeted brightly.

“Elania–“

“No, there isn’t,” Elania told her forcefully.

“Aren’t what?” Alex asked as he leaned against the large receptionist desk. Anastay backed her chair up and stood up, allowing Elania to sit down and do her job.

“There aren’t any patients other than you, today,” Anastay replied as nicely as she could possibly be. She grabbed her charts and started back to the examining room.

“Anastay!” Elania whispered loudly.

“What?” Anastay asked.

“I’ll tell you later.”

***
Anastay peeled her lab coat from her work-weary body and placed it on the rack. She watched as Elania hurriedly cleaned up the necessary supplies. Anastay had been yearning to corner Elania and make her fess up about the mansion.

Taco yipped impatiently at Anastay’s heels. He had been a great help today in the waiting room. Many children had come in for the school vaccinations. He calmed their fears in the waiting room, and made it easier for Anastay to do her job. She bent down to ruffle her puppy’s ears.

“You’ve been at my heels all day!” Elania blurted without any hesitation as she placed the tray of instruments on the counter. She turned around and placed her hands firmly on her hips. “It’s driving me crazy, Anastay!”

“Look, it’s my job, you are my nurse and I need my utensils!” Anastay exclaimed, trying not to laugh. Elania had scrunched up her nose in distaste and her bottom lip stuck out in a dark pout. She looked adorable in that state. Even Anastay admitted that much.

“Anastay, you know what I mean!” Elania exaggerated.

Anastay had been caught. She took a deep breath and looked at Taco before continuing. “I’m sorry, I have been a little clingy today.”

“A little? Please! You were like fly paper on a man’s back hair!”

“Too explicit!”

“Sorry,” Elania gave a little giggle of an apology.

“I just want to know the story behind the mansion.”

“There’s no story,” Elania suddenly faltered.

“You told me you’d tell me later.”

"And I’m telling you to stay away from that place. People have gotten seriously hurt up there. I want you to stay away from there, for your own sake.”

“Why?”

“Because, just stay away.”

“Elania, I got seriously injured by a rosebush, and you’re not going to tell me what’s going on up there?”

“Just stay away, it’s forbidden!” Elania exclaimed
as she grabbed her coat, walked out, and slammed the door behind her.
Frustration by Anastacia
Chapter 7 ~ Frustration

Anastay crawled her way through the large tumbleweeds that had grown twice their size since yesterday. The wind blew violently as she continued to stumble up the large hill to the mansion. She was dying to find out what was so secretive about the mansion. This time she would venture into the old timber, to really find the truth.

Anastay took a deep breath as she fell down onto the grass again. She felt the breath release from her lungs sharply. Anastay began to push herself off the dampened grass, but heard a growling. Anastay shifted her eyes upward to encounter the beast again.

His eyes grew a fiery red as he stared down upon her. Anastay could feel his hot, stale breath blowing against her jugular. His matted fur stood up straight as he continued to snarl and growl. Anastay felt her stomach cramp as icy drops of blood fell from his sharp incisor teeth.

“Stay away,” the beast growled into her face.

“Leave me alone!” Anastay screamed out, reaching her hand up to strike the wolf. It backed away as the ground crumbled beneath Anastay. She screamed out in terror as large chunks broke away to the pit below. She screamed out for safety, lunging her hands into the damp dirt, hoping to cling to something.

She looked up, hoping to see someone to rescue her. Only, the beast was watching her intensely. The snarling had stopped, and only blood dripped from its mouth. A look of pain invaded his fiery eyes.

“Help,” he called out in a whispery wind.

“Help me!” she begged quickly, her fingers aching from clawing at the dirt. She felt her hands start to slip against the forming mud. She dug her toes firmly into the soil, but only slipped further.

“You are the only one who can save me,” the wolf told her again.

“Stop it!” she screamed.

“Save me,” he begged.

“STOP IT!” Anastay screamed even louder, reaching up to hug her ears, only she lost her grip. She scrambled to grab hold as something fell on top of her. She watched as the object hit her and spiraled down the pit. It was made of silver.

“Only you,” the wolf called once more, startling Anastay.

“OH GOD HELP ME!” she screamed in pity as she finally let go. She went toppling down into the pit. She felt her muscles ache and burn as she continued to plunge into darkness. Her throat was raw as she hit something soft, almost like water.

Anastay quickly swam to the surface of the substance. She broke the surface tension and gasped for air. She was surrounded by darkness; the only thing illuminated was the water. She glanced down, letting her hands cup the liquid. She brought the substance close to her eyes. Anastay gagged in horror as she let her head swivel in every direction – she was swimming in a pool of blood.

*~*~*

Anastay bolted upright in her bed. Her blankets melted onto her skin from her cold sweat. She peeled the blankets off her, trying to regain her breathing. She quickly wiped her arms down, making sure there was no blood.

She glanced down to see Taco staring at her. He tilted his head in bewilderment at her panting. He gave her a growl with his mouth extending into a yawn. He crawled up her covers and snuggled down into her pillow.

“Thanks, Taco,” Anastay growled back, trying to regain her composure. She was driving herself insane with the mansion. Her brain subconsciously caused her to revert all her attention to the eeriness it held. She needed answers, but had no one to turn to.

She rubbed her hand across her wet forehead, feeling a stinging sensation. Anastay hissed at the pain and drew her hand back. She eyed the large gashes across her hands – from the roses. She shook her head in disbelief. No rose could do such a thing.

“I’m finding out what the Hell is up with this town,” she vowed as she went to ease herself back to bed. She rubbed the back of her neck as she peered out of her large bay window. She felt her throat tighten as she gasped in dismay – the beast was staring right back into her eyes.
Gossip Kills by Anastacia
Chapter 8 ~ Gossip Kills

Anastay struggled to concentrate on her patients. However, all she could think about was seeing the wolf last night. It had been peering right into her window, staring her down. She thought at first she was crazy, but she knew she had seen it.

“Dr. Lontenz, are you okay?” Brian Littrell, the local Reverend, asked as he cupped his hand. Brian had a small incident with his shears as he was pruning his wife’s flowers. He had slipped and cut his hand, which required some stitches.

“I’m fine, Reverend,” Anastay assured with a small smile. She noticed Elania clicking her tongue as she set down Anastay’s tray of utensils. “I just had a rough night.”

“Taco keeps you up?” Brian asked, motioning with his chin to the dog peering into the examination room. Anastay had trained Taco not to step foot into the examining room for contamination reasons.

“No, he sleeps through the whole night,” Anastay replied as she began to sterilize Reverend Littrell’s hand for the stitches.

“Oh, my wife and I just bought two Chihuahuas. We have Tyke and Litty, those two whine so much. I swear, my wife takes care of them like they’re our children,” Brian told Anastay with a lighthearted smile.

“Maybe you should give her some children to take care of,” Elania told Brian with a smirk crossing her lips. Brian’s face went pale. Elania chuckled, “Brian, you’d be great with kids.”

“No thank you,” Brian told them warily.

“Mrs. Littrell has been in to see me quite a few times. Although, I’m not at privilege to say what we talk about, I am at liberty to say that she’s a healthy woman. There is no reason why you should not be able to conceive a child.”

“For once, I think a doctor might be crazy,” Brian teased.

“At least go home and talked to Leighanne?” Elania groaned at her Reverend, pushing on his shoulder gently.

“We’ll see,” Brian answered as he glanced down at his hand. He gasped in surprise as he glanced back up at Anastay. While they were talking, Anastay had gone ahead and applied the stitches into his hand. She quickly bandaged it.

“No water for at least three days. Keep away from swimming pools, and keep it bandaged. Elania will make an appointment for you on your way out,” Anastay replied as she started to clean up her tools.

“Thank you!” Brian replied as he walked out.

“We make a pretty good team,” Elania approved as she bumped Anastay lightly with her hip, and then followed Brian out. Anastay smiled to herself, pulling her dirty gloves off and tossing them into the waste can.

*~*~*

Anastay yawned as she collapsed into the waiting room chairs, sprawling herself out on three of them. Elania was keying in the last of the appointments. Taco was resting in his bed, waiting for Anastay to pick him up and take him home. Lazily, Anastay peeked one eye open. “Are you still mad at me?” she asked Elania.

“For what?” Elania asked, hitting the enter key with a poke of her manicured fingernail.

“Yesterday?” Anastay answered with surprise.

“Oh, that? Forget it!” Elania bubbled.

“Seriously?”

“Duh!”

“You are one weird kid.”

“Please, I’m older than you, doctor.”

Anastay gave a yawn as she waved her hand, “And I’m higher on the food chain, what’s your point?”

“Why so tired?” Elania asked, changing the subject.

“I’ve been having nasty nightmares.”

“Why?”

Anastay gave an icy glare. Elania’s eyes grew wide in surprise. She nodded, and glanced around fearfully. She grabbed Anastay’s hands and pulled her up. “What are you doing?” Anastay blurted.

“Come on, I feel the need to gossip,” Elania said, widening her eyes for the full effect. Anastay stood upright with full alert. She reached down to snatch Taco from his bed. Hurriedly she walked out, locked the office doors, and pushed Elania into her car. Gossip was what she needed, now.
Midnight's Lessons by Anastacia
Chapter 9 ~ Midnight’s Lessons

Anastay gave Elania her cup of coffee as Anastay snuggled up on her couch. She just wanted to ease down and find out what was wrong with the mansion. She watched as Taco dragged out his blanket and pulled it onto the couch. He curled in between Elania and Anastay, and then hid under his blanket for bed.

“That dog is so smart,” Elania commented as she watched Taco lazily peek out from under his blanket, and then sleep again.

“That’s my baby.”

“He is cute.”

“Thank you,” Anastay replied with a polite smile. She was dying on the inside. Her brain craved the gossip that Elania was willing the leak out to her. She stared intently at Elania, hoping to start the conversation.

“Look, I need to talk to you about the other day,” Elania suddenly told her. Anastay had already gotten used to Elania’s constant flittering from subject to subject.

“Yes?” Anastay asked, perking up immediately.

“A lot of scary stuff has happened up at that mansion. I want you to stay away from there. You couldn’t possibly comprehend the horror that’s gone on here. And this is the first time that I’ve actually had a good friend. It’s been way too many years, Anastay. I need you to keep away from there. Please?”

“Why?”

“I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“What has happened up there that’s so dangerous?”

“It was a long time ago, too long ago.”

“What happened?”

“A witch hunt,” Elania told her quietly.

“A what?” Anastay asked, finding herself go quiet again. Had she actually heard right? She had become familiar with the Salem Witch Hunts in Salem, Massachusetts, but in Canines-Rose, North Carolina? There must have been some mistake. Anastay leaned closer to Elania, wanting to hear every single detail.

“A witch hunt, you know?”

“No–”

“A witch hunt, where they burn people at the stake or hang them in the tree? That kind of witch-hunt, only it was a man and another woman. The man lived up at that castle. He had a kid, but that’s not the point. He haunts his mansion every so often. Some kids have been hurt trying to sneak up there. There hasn’t been a death in awhile.”

“Kid’s have actually died up there?” Anastay scoffed.

“It was many years ago, but its toxic horrors are still embodying this town. Alex tells everyone to stay away, and you should remember that.”

“What does Sheriff McLean care so much?” Anastay asked suddenly. If it had happened such a long time ago, why should McLean care? It couldn’t have involved him in any sort of way.

“He has his reasons,” Elania told her vaguely.

“Do you really think this happened?” Anastay asked her skeptically. “Or is this a joke you townies play on all the new people in town? It’s not that funny, you know?”

“It did happen,” Elania insisted.

“Did the witch hang?”

“Which one?”

“The woman?”

“She was innocent, but another framed her, and she died with a rope bound to her throat.”

“She was hanged?”

“Yes.”

“And the man? Was he hanged?”

“Some think so.”

“And you think what?”

“Never happened, he disappeared before they got to him. No one went to his lynching. Yet, some others say he escaped, and that’s why it wasn’t public. Others believe that he was burned by the Devil to save his unkempt soul.”

“It’s an urban legend!”

“No, it’s real!” Elania blurted with passion. Her dark eyes turned into smoldering embers as she planted her coffee cup firmly onto the coffee table. She gave Anastay a nasty glare. Chills raced up Anastay’s spine.

“Then what does that have to do with wolves that I’ve seen up at the mansion?” Anastay blurted with anger. Witches had nothing to do with wolves. Why would a wolf and bleeding roses tie into a witch being sacrificed?

“You’ve seen wolves?” Elania asked, forcing the words from her mouth. Elania’s dark eyes lit with surprise and she suddenly became filled with energy. Anastay thought it was odd that Elania became overwhelmed with Anastay’s sighting of wolves.

“Yes, why?”

“What did they look like?”

“I’ve only seen one.”

“Yes, and?”

“There’s such a pain in his eyes, Elania. It’s like he
needs comforting. Almost as if he needs help. He wants something from me, I know he does.”

Elania winced, “Where have you seen him?

“At the mansion, when I got cut by the roses. Why are they so sharp anyway?”

“The roses aren’t important.”

“But, El–”

“I don’t have time to explain. I have to go,” Elania blurted, standing up. She set the coffee down on Anastay’s glass coffee table. She grabbed her coat and turned back to face Anastay. She brushed her tightly wound curls away from her dark eyes. “Please stay away. Now that I know this, it’s even more deadly. Please believe me.”

“But wait–”

Elania left had already left.
Nine Lives by Anastacia
Chapter 10 ~ Nine Lives

Anastay had enough with everyone’s constant warnings to stay away from the mansion. Everyone she had befriended told her the same. It was almost as if they all held a secret that unlocked the ancient mansion’s doors. Yet, no matter how many walls cornered her in darkness, she was thirsty for the knowledge of light. She was figuring everything out tonight, and that was it.

“I have to be an idiot for going back up here,” Anastay cursed at herself as she continued to climb the hill leading to the mansion. She promised herself that tonight she wouldn’t go near the roses. She had found the wolf there, and had no intentions of running into the beast again.

Anastay continued her trek up the mountain, fearing the worst. She had thought about going home, but told herself that she had to do it. Not finding out the secret would drive her crazy. Elania’s speech of witches, magic, and murdering had intrigued her beyond belief.

‘Daddy always told me that I would eventually get in trouble for my curiosity, but I can’t help it’ Anastay thought to herself with a heavy sigh. She took a deep breath of air, finding herself winded from the long walk.

However, she was there. She stood at the threshold of the festering mansion. The decrepit bricks crumbled as Anastay gently ran her finger along one. She glanced at her finger to see a large smear of dirt and dust. She carefully eased herself up the creaking stairs that led to the large oak doors.

Anastay tilted her head in confusion as she noticed large claw marks embedded within the wood. She carefully ran her hand along them. Deep splinters set within the wood, almost as if someone had desperately wanted to enter, but wasn’t permitted.

She was about to turn away, but stopped. She glanced closely only to find a sort of emblem carved into the doorknocker. It was a picture of a necklace with a large stone embedded within the middle. The stone was elegantly carved into thorny red rose and the snout of the beast she had seen in her dreams. She pushed the thoughts away from the emblem.

Anastay tried for the large doorknob, pushing her body against it. The doors screeched with panic, not giving her the right to enter the mansion. Anastay groaned loudly, she stepped carefully down from the rotting boards leading to the main door. She looked to see that most of the windows had been boarded up with heavy pieces of wood. She could now see the faint markings of fire licking at the castle walls. The scars on the old mansion were illuminated by the pale moonlight.

“Damn, damn, damn,” Anastay cursed repeatedly. She wondered how she could possibly get into the house. All the first floor windows were boarded, and the second floor were boarded, and the boards seemed to go on forever. Anastay felt like turning around and going home. She would never find anything out about the eerie mansion.

She took another survey of the surroundings. Her heart palpitated as she noticed one of the boards ajar against the basement windows. She knew that she was lean enough to pass through the boards. She was going inside to find the truth.

*~*~*

Anastay gave a loud grunt as she wiggled the rest of her slim body through the small opening She had pried the rotting wood from the window and it splintered easily. She was satisfied to know she had maintained some sort of strength in her arms.

Anastay lost all train of thought when she finally managed to free herself. She grunted as she fell a few feet to the floor. She sneezed as the dust blew into her face. She sniffled, trying to be quiet. She automatically fell silent as she rubbed her nose, waiting for footsteps. None.

Anastay rose from the dirty ground, feeling the slime covering its bottom. She swore herself not to think about the creatures that were probably beneath her feet. She heard the skittering of tiny feet. She quivered with fear at the sound – it was the rats. She took a deep breath, trying to ignore the small screeches of each rat calling out for another.

“I’m an idiot,” she told herself as she felt around for a wall of some kind. Only a tiny amount of light filtered through the slivers of splintered wood. The moon wasn’t as bright as she had hoped on this night, but she rummaged through her pocket and pulled out a lighter.

She flicked the button, trying to ignite the flames. The pressure from the rough gears made sensations of pain flutter from her thumb. Anastay didn’t care as she saw the flames finally lick at her fingers. She cupped her left hand around the flame to keep the breezy basement from catching her lighter.

Anastay began to slowly move around the basement, hoping to find out something. Maybe the mansion belonged to the dead witch. Maybe she would find some papers leading to a dangerous affair between each witch. Anastay really didn’t know what to expect. She peered carefully around the dimmed surroundings, she leaned over what she expected to be a desk and saw some sort of journal and a leather pouch.

Anastay’s eyes immediately focused on the two objects in front of her. She reached out to grasp at them, but she was startled out of her mission. She heard a loud growl erupt from behind her. She screamed out in surprise as she dropped the lighter.

She had submerged herself into darkness, but not the beast growling. It seemed like a bright moonlight had followed the beast. His long white teeth extended down from his snarling mouth. The hairs highlighted by the silvery moonlight prickled up alone his back.

Anastay’s instincts kicked into overdrive. She began to panic, thinking of the first thing she could do. She needed out, she felt like a caged rabbit. She began to quickly back up along the slippery floor. Her heart pounded with intensity. Her breath quickened as he feet slipped and she fell backward, slamming her head against the brick wall.

A sharp pain speared itself down her neck as Anastay squeezed her eyes shut. It felt like someone was crushing her skull against her brain. She cursed in pain as she quickly brought her hand up to her head, feeling the oozing of blood melting onto her fingers.

Anastay quickly forgot about her injury when she heard the beast. Her eyes fluttered open to find herself staring into the brassy yellow of his eyes. She felt her knees start to shake as she glanced up, finding the beast extremely close to her. She could feel his fiery breath against her clammy skin.

“Please don’t hurt me,” she whispered, not knowing if he understood her or not. She felt the tears sting at her eyes, remembering Taco cuddling up on her bed at home. She wished she could be at home with him now. She knew that curiosity killed the cat, but why did she have to use her ninth life now?
Divine Healing by Anastacia
Chapter 11 ~ Divine Healing

Anastay waited for the beast to sink his blinding white teeth into her flesh. She closed her eyes, knowing that the dulling pain in the back of her head couldn’t compare to the jaws of the large wolf. She began to ready herself for the bite. Where would he try for? The jugular probably, she answered herself in her mind.

She took a deep breath, blowing the air out against her lungs, and trying to bear the weight of the pain. She could hear the panting of the animal. She knew he was close. She waited, but the beast never attempted to do such a thing.
Carefully, Anastay opened her eyes. She heard the beast finally whimpering out. She glanced at him with surprise, why would he be whimpering? She watched as the moonlight cascaded down upon him, giving him an eerie glow.

Then she finally noticed.

The wolf was standing in a puddle of his own blood. Tiny drops of precious life pooled beneath his soaking paws. She carefully took in the length of the powerful animal. His right flank had sustained a deep gash. The blood matted his beautiful silvery coat. His brassy yellow eyes were turning duller by the moment. His blood loss had to be tremendous. Anastay watched as he sank to him hind legs, and wallowed in the blood.

“Oh, Lord,” Anastay whispered to no one. She could see how badly he was loosing blood. Each drop that dripped to the floor was the like a grain of sand in the timer of life.

What could she possibly do to save him? She wasn’t a veterinarian. She worked with humans, not deadly animals. However, the worst idea was that she didn’t even know if he would let her touch him. She glanced at him with sadness.

Her gray eyes finally zoned in to his dark eyes, which were now a shimmering brown. She could have sworn that they were yellow a moment ago. She blinked in confusion as he whimpered in agony. Anastay fell back again as an intense pain hit her right in her pelvic bone. The fire swarmed inside her bone, intensifying as the wolf yelped. Anastay became frantic – she could feel his pain.

The pain accumulating in Anastay’s pelvis took her very breath away. She felt paralyzed, she couldn’t move without the pain shooting down her spine and rendering her immobile once again. She gasped in agony while the burning consumed her soul.

Anastay felt weak as the pain continued to consume her entire being. She fell to the floor, right in front of the wolf. Her nose met his drying snout. He snorted, whimpering more. His eyes became misty as he continued to stare her down. Anastay felt her eyes instantly draw towards his.

‘Help me,’ a voice screamed in Anastay’s head. ‘Save me.’

She couldn’t comprehend what was happening. The voice intensified in her head, screaming in agony. She slammed her eyes shut at the howling voice. The pains filled her body as she arched her back, trying to ride herself of them. She thrashed a bit as the screaming pierced her eardrums. ‘Help, help, help, help,’ was all she could hear.

“STOP IT!” Anastay screamed out in terror.

The wolf remained extremely still. He was now casting his eyes to the window, where the moon still shown. The boards seemed farther spaced than last time. Anastay felt the pain start to die off from her body. She felt the spasms finally slow as she froze, trying to regain her breath.

‘Please,’ the voice whispered once more as Anastay glanced at the wolf. Anastay knew the wolf was dying. She felt the pain of death, and didn’t want the animal to suffer. She then slowly eased her hand toward his forehead.
Painful Decisions by Anastacia
Chapter 12 ~ Painful Decisions

Anastay didn’t realize that she was home until she carried the wolf into her living room. It was as if her body were awake and her soul asleep. Her arms were crying out from the weight of the beast. She let the sheet collapse onto the floor as it slipped from her hands. Anastay sunk to the floor against the wall, breathing heavily. She was so thankful that she had found something to put the animal in.

She listened to the quiet breathing of the animal, tuning her ears into her surroundings. At least the beast was alive, which was all she could really be proud of now. Her mind swirled with questions about his nature, but she needed to heal the animal. Anastay pushed herself to her feet and dashed into her closet to snatch the first aid kit. She was thankful she kept one in her home. It held all the necessary supplies as if it were her clinic. However, she had no idea what she could possibly do for the animal – but she had to try.

She reached her living room and hit her knees. She felt a shot of pain tremble on her knees, but ignored it. Quickly, she snapped her kit open and spilled the contents onto the floor. She shakily slipped the latex gloves onto her small hands. Then she hurriedly swept her hands over several supplies, causing the pile to disperse on the floor as she searched for the scissors. When they were located, she snatched them as if they were golden. Nervously, she began to cut away the sheet from the animal.

“Please don’t let it be bad. Please – oh – God,” Anastay heaved as she took in the full sight of the animal. The sheet was stained with bright ruby splashes of color, obviously tainted with the animal’s blood.

Her stomach heaved at the putrid smell coming from the beast’s body. The skin was deteriorating on his hind leg. The flesh looked to be rotting from the bone up. Chunks of green flesh boiled and festered within the crimson blood as the ends of each tissue turned a violent black. She felt ill as she tried to gather her wits.

Managing to contain the elements of her stomach, she noted the deep gash in flank. She took a heavy breath, gently pushing one finger into the gash – it went further than her knuckle. She hissed at the own burning in her body as she watched the blood continually ooze from the flesh wound. She had to do something or the creature would be obsolete.

Anastay adjusted her stethoscope onto her ears. She eased the cold metal onto the beast’s chest. She searched for its heartbeat. She observed that its eyes had already rolled into the back of its skull. She couldn’t recollect what she could possibly to do help the beast. An animal body was different from a human, but not that diverse. She couldn’t find the heart.

“Come on, where’s your heart. Damn it! Come on! Where are you? Let’s go,” Anastay begged for the sound. She felt like her own life was slipping from her fingertips. She found it hard to breath as the temperature soared in her body. She struggled to concentrate. Just one beat, that was all she needed.

“Thank you, Lord!” she cried out in surprise as she found it. Only, it wasn’t that strong. Faintly it ticked, but it was there. She could feel the heat radiating off the animal’s body. Anastay felt her fingers scorch from the light pressure of the beast’s sweaty skin.

Anastay knew she was faced with a decision to make. The animal was loosing blood faster than he could handle. He would bleed before the sun broke into the dark sky. The infection was also a problem. The wound needed flushed out and antibiotics administered. She had to break the fever. Tissue damage seemed to go deeper than she liked. It wouldn’t be able to heal itself.

The animal needed surgery, and she was the only one to do it. Anastay felt her breath quicken at the thought of taking the animal to town. She didn’t know why, but she feared taking the animal to her practice. The whole town seemed to fear the invasion of a wolf, and she wanted to save it?

Decisions. She took a deep breath as Taco came yipping down the stairs. He was calling for her. Anastay didn’t respond, so Taco continued. He stopped at the door and growled, noticing the dark animal. Anastay groaned as Taco began to growl and bark. Taco became possessive and exposed his teeth to the invader.

The wolf didn’t respond to Taco’s yipping.

“Taco!” she scolded. She couldn’t face the annoyance of her dog much longer. She had so many things to decide is such a short amount of time. She needed to think and Taco wasn't helping. Scared at Anastay's rough tone, Taco whimpered as he put his head down.

“Try to save him, or let him die?” Anastay asked herself quietly. She didn’t even know if the operation would save the animal. He might just be a lost cause. The fever in his body was a sign of infection, and the injury might be too severe for him to even try to walk again. He would never survive in the perilous swamps.

Anastay felt a pain of guilt. There was something so familiar about this creature. It seemed like the animal had been watching her all along. She blinked in comprehension. This was the animal that had come to her house before, and she was sure she had seen him. He had been the same creature in the roses that caused her to cut herself. How did he know that she would be lurking about the mansion? Was it a sign for her to save him? Could he have saved her before?

“Help,” Anastay whispered as the voices returned to her head, stronger than ever. The voices drummed in her ears like the falling of grains of sand in an hourglass. Her decision grew deadlier as each grain of sand fell from the top and hit the glass with a snap – like a cruel laugh from death.
Midnight's Sacrifice by Anastacia
Chapter 13 ~ Midnight's Sacrifice

She thought she was actually going insane. The country air was doing something to her mind, or maybe it was living in the bog. She didn’t know the exact cause, but it was frightening. Running out in the middle of the night to save some animal that had tried to kill her before? Her mind began to jog back to previous occurrences. If he hadn’t been injured, would he have killed her? Would he have taken the chance? She felt her heart start to chill at the very thought. She could have been dead.

Anastay peeled her car into the back parking lot. She couldn’t back out now. The animal was barely breathing in her back seat. He was dying. She knew her decision was going to get her into trouble, but she had taken the Hippocratic Oath. She would protect and save anyone or anything. She couldn’t go back on the oath. If she did, Anastay would feel like she had to renounce her medical degree.

Therefore, she made up her mind. She hadn’t been caught yet, thank God. The town wasn’t big, so there were fewer roars of crowded streets and jammed cars. She gave a sigh of relief as she took the wolf into the back examination room. The room held all of her special tools for minor surgeries. She knew what she needed lay inside that very room. She thanked the Lord for being one of the top medical students graduating from Duke University. Anastay felt her tension ease as she laid the wolf onto the cold table.

“We didn’t get caught,” Anastay replied with a warm smile. She really didn’t care that she was talking to a beast. She talked to Taco all the time. She was just thrilled with her dangerous measures.

Anastay had hid her car behind her practice. She was surprised to find the unsettled quietness. The streets were deserted for whatever reason. Everyone usually was home on am early Monday morning. The only light that illuminated the streets was from the small pub down the street. Usually men spent their time there recalling the past events of the new football game and drink to their hearts’ content. Anastay had no problems with drunks. They wouldn’t venture into the streets until the night passed twilight.

Anastay pushed the thoughts aside and managed to lay the wolf on the surgical linins covering the cold metal. His body quivered with frostiness. She frowned, knowing the wolf could go into shock. Anastay laid a heating blanket on top, knowing that she would have to throw the blanket away afterward. She watched Taco prop himself up on a chair in the room, watching his master intently. He seemed to be guarding her closely.

“What the Hell am I going to do?” Anastay asked as she inched the blanket above the animal’s back flank. She examined the problem once more.

The blood continued to ooze from the pulpy flesh. A pussy substance had started to cling to the edges and mix with the tainted blood. She could see the bone poking through the serrated tissue and muscle. Anastay put a surgical mask on, hoping to drown away the wicked odor.

She knew she needed to start quickly. Every second mattered when it came to a serious injury. Anastay picked up her electric razor for when a patient needed stitches in their scalp. She gently eased the razor onto the wolf’s tender flesh. Quietly, she began to shave away bits of silvery colored fur. Anastay finally noticed how beautiful the beast’s fur was. It almost matched the moonlight’s glow. She also took notice to the tan coloring of his flesh, which struck her as odd. Wolves usually had pale colored skin, because the fur hid the skin from light.

Anastay managed to clean all the fur away from the flesh in a few moments passing. She winced in regret, noticing the bite marks in the flank. Another animal had attacked the wolf.

She hissed out the pain accumulating in her own leg as she reached down for the oxygen tank. She had been listening to the soft breathing of the wolf, noticing a slight catch as the lungs exhaled. She inserted the tube into the wolf’s mouth and clamped down the snout with some surgical tape and gauze. She inserted an IV into the animal’s neck to give him anesthesia.

“Taco, this is so dangerous. If I get caught, I could loose my job,” Anastay murmured as she picked up her scalpel. She needed to peel away the decaying matter in the flesh wound. She would then flush out the infection with saline, and stitch the muscles and flesh back together. It could take hours.

Taco gave a yelp as he watched Anastay make the first incision. The flesh peeled easily at the sharpness of Anastay’s blade. She continued to work the magic that she could, praying all the while. She rested her free hand on the wolf’s forehead. She felt a connection in this animal, and she would make him survive.
Prayer of Silent Tears by Anastacia
Chapter 14 ~ Prayer of Silent Tears

Anastay snorted in her sleep, jarring herself awake from yet another nightmare. She snapped her eyes open and peered around at her surroundings in a filmy daze. She was back at home, sleeping with her back propped up against her couch. She yawned as her tired muscles ached for a proper stretch. Anastay pushed herself off the wooden floor, groaning as she finally forced herself to stretch, feeling as if her muscles were going to tear from their insertion points along the various bones in her body.

“Why the Hell didn’t I just sleep on my couch?” she growled angrily at herself. Her muscles would be filled with tension for the rest of the day. She was about to scold herself some more, but stopped in her tracks. She glanced at the couch and it all came flooding back.

The elegant wolf was sleeping peacefully on her couch. His snow white back faced the back of her couch as he curled on his side. His head was resting on one of her throw pillows. His beautiful face relaxed with sleepiness. A blanket had been draped over his warmed body to ensure that he would not freeze from the cold night temperatures. There was a faint wheeze in the air from his lungs, but it was from the anesthesia. For the most part, he looked healthier than the previous night. Almost human…

Anastay felt no fear as she leaned over him. Whatever fear she had accumulated from this beast had evaporated the second she inserted the scalpel into his flesh in hopes to rescue him from a painful death. Exhaling slowly, Anastay gently brushed the blanket off his flank. She noticed his eyes lazily peek open as she started to cut the bandage from his leg. She nor he flinched at each other, perfectly content with the actions at hand.

Anastay peered at the wound for a moment with relief. It was looking better. The flesh had been stitched together by her craftsmanship and maintained a healthy pink coloring. The edges of the wound were approximated and heavily cleaned throughout the night. She noticed there was still a build up of pus that would soon leak from the wound and onto the bandages, but the antibiotics she was steadily giving him through an IV could calm that. She felt his flesh, and it was still quite heated. She prayed that the antibiotics would help the animal. Until then, she would keep him in the house to heal.

“It seems to be doing better,” Anastay told the wolf softly, not caring that she was talking to an animal. She looked over to see Taco sleeping at the wolf’s head. Taco lazily opened his eyes, yipped out a small yawn, and then curled himself back up against the wolf. “Seems my puppy likes you, too.”

The wolf kept his eyes closed for the moment. Anastay gently caressed the top of the wolf’s forehead to soothe away the pain. She knew that the animal wouldn’t hurt her. He had been too calm to do anything of that sort. Nerves probably caused yesterday’s fears, or so she assumed and continued to repeat to herself.

“I hope you know that you’ll be staying around for an extremely large amount of time. I want you to heal up before I set you free. So, for now, Taco and I are your family,” she whispered as she stood back up to stretch.

Before she could react, a soft male voice exploded in her head. ‘Thank you’ it whispered. Anastay lurched with fright as she glanced around the room, fully prepared to see a malicious stalker that she was reminded of from the larger cities. But no one was around to call out to her. Confused, her eyes immediately locked with the wolf’s chocolate orbs. His eyes were misted with sleepiness, but genuinely filled with grace.

Anastay’s heart pounded as she tried to figure out what had happened. The voice had since disappeared, but a sharp rap on her door startled her further. She heard Alex’s cough. Anastay panicked as she glanced at the wolf’s weak body. Somehow, she knew Alex wouldn’t be pleased to see a wolf in her house.

“Anastay! Hurry up! I’ve come to take you for coffee before work,” Alex barked as he continued to pound on the door. Anastay cursed loudly as she brushed the wolf hair from her jeans. She had totally forgotten that she had to work today. She had no time to change. She leaned down and placed two kisses on Taco’s and the wolf’s foreheads.

Anastay then ran out of her living room and closed the two sliding doors that opened up to greet the living room. She grabbed her lab coat and ran into the door, not having time to stop. She smacked the door handle, managing to get it open. She opened the door, pushed on Alex’s chest to make him back away, and then she closed the door. Anastay panted as she pressed her back against the oak. “Good morning, Alex!” she greeted with a gasp for air.

“Running late?” he asked with an amused smile, pushing his sunglasses further onto his thin face.

Extremely, Taco was so noisy last night!” Anastay exclaimed.

“You’re not taking him to work?” Alex asked, trying to peer in the circular stained glass of roses that was embedded into her front door. Anastay pushed him against, urging him toward his Sheriff’s car. He caught her by her wrists, surprising her by the amount of strength in his grip. “What’s the rush?”

“I’m late, I need to get to work,” Anastay lied. In reality, she had another hour to kill before Elania came into the office.

“No, you’re not,” Alex stated flatly.

“Excuse me?”

“You don’t need to go in for another hour,” he accused with a menacing smile. Anastay stepped back for a moment, startled by his actions. She really had a bad feeling about this man. He had no clue abut her schedule. No one really knew her schedule. They only knew what time her practice officially opened.

“How did you know?” Anastay asked, stepping away.

“El is a good friend of mine.”

“So?”

“She says you go into work when she does.”

“Sometimes,” Anastay replied.

“Well, let me take you for coffee,” Alex suggested, reaching out to grab her hand. She pulled her hand back like Alex’s was made of fire. He narrowed his dark eyes at her as he removed his glasses. “What is your problem?”

“I have labs to do today, and I need to go in early.”

“You can come in to the restaurant for a five minute coffee,” Alex assured her with a forceful voice.

“No, I can’t,” Anastay replied just as firmly. “If you’ll excuse me, I need to get to work.” She retreated her steps and walked around him, planning on going to her jeep. Before she reached the car, Alex firmly latched his hand to her wrist. He yanked her back against him with a spurt of energy that caused her to quickly loose her own balance. Anastay yelped in surprise as she crashed against his hard body.

“You do have time for coffee,” he snapped at her.
“I told you no!” she replied forcefully, giving him just as dark of a look. The dangerous escalating in the situation made the fine hair on her arms erect. She refused to be manipulated with such distaste and disgust for proper manners. A sheriff who thought he could control the entire city like they were his puppets would not intimidate her.

“You’re hiding something,” he accused looking deep into her eyes.

“You’re fucking insane!” Anastay cried out in shock. She snapped her hand back and held it close to her body. She watched him reach out to grasp for her again, but she backed away. Since she had an open porch running along her house, she merely jumped off the porch into her driveway. She stumbled slightly with the landing, but proceeded to the jeep nonetheless.

“Anastay! Don’t you dare walk away from me!” Alex barked.

“Fine! I’ll drive away from you!” she challenged as she opened her car door and slipped inside onto the seat. “Get the Hell away, Alex! I’m warning you!”

“You can’t warn me, I’m the fucking Sheriff,” Alex barked as he hopped off her porch. At first, she thought he might rip the door off its hinges, but he stalked to his car. He turned around once more, giving her a deathly glare, and then slipped into the driver’s side of the car. He peeled off, leaving tire tracks in her driveway.

“Holy Hell,” Anastay whispered with shock. Her hands tightly gripped the steering wheel. She felt her heart pound with intensity. That had to have been the worst encounter with Alex. She felt tears slowly slip down her cheeks as she revved the engine, trying to calm herself as she made a silent prayer.
Insanity by Anastacia
Chapter 15 ~ Insanity

Anastay flitted nervously from patient to patient that day after her brushing with Alex. She seemed to be occupied with a variety of thoughts tumbling in her head like churning ocean waters. She couldn’t seem to concentrate on anything that day. On the other hand, Elania did her job with ease, but noticed the hesitance and insecurities within her employer. Elania had wanted to approach her employer about the change, but the day would soon end. She figured she could talk to Anastay then.

Meanwhile, Anastay had been daydreaming about the wolf. She knew the first twenty-four hours were crucial to a patient’s survival. And she figured that it couldn’t be much different when the patient was mammalian instead of human. She prayed that when she got home, she would not find him dead. She had grown quite attached to the wolf in just a short time and wished him only the best. So, attempting to calm herself, she decided that Taco would somehow take care of the larger animal while she was away with business.

Then the other thoughts that confused Anastay surfaced - mostly concerning the earlier events of the morning. Something, or someone, had told her thank you. It hadn’t been verbal, but more of a thought that brushed delicately through her mind like a loving kiss. She didn’t understand who could have possibly said such a thing. She was only around her dog and the wolf. She felt like she was going insane. Voices in her head? It sounded like the silly key chain she was given as a teenager on her sixteenth birthday.

“Anastay? Are you okay?” Elania finally asked as she shut and locked the door to the office. Anastay snapped out of her thoughts and looked to see Elania standing before her with a concerned glaze over her eyes.

“I’m fine,” she lied, “Why?”

“You were really spaced today.”

“Oh, it’s nothing to worry about.”

“What happened?” Elania asked, already knowing that something was wrong. She could see it in her employer’s gray eyes. She crossed her arms over her chest as she sat in the waiting room, defiant as a snake’s sharp venom attacking the circulatory system of its poor victims. She wasn’t letting Anastay leave without an explanation. “You’re going to tell me or I’ll get violent.”

“You wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Anastay argued with an amused laugh.

“I would too if it stepped into my food!” Elania argued.

Anastay shook her head with another laugh. She knew that Elania would persist with her agitating until achieving her wanted results. Anastay knew she would have to give up an answer, even if it was half of her thought processes - just some tiny tidbit to satisfy Elania’s unquenchable thirst for gossip. “If you really want to know, Alex gave me the creeps today.”

“Why?” Elania asked, her face turning oddly pale. Anastay tilted her head in wonder as Elania’s eyes even lightened with the shadow of her skin. There was almost a faint glow to her skin as her mood drastically changed. There was something different happening to her physical features, and it puzzled Anastay.

“He came to my house this morning to take me to coffee.”

“That’s creepy? He does that with all the cute girls!”

“Then why doesn’t he go to your house?” Anastay challenged.

“We hit a rough spot many years ago,” Elania told her darkly. Anastay stepped back for a moment, leaning against the wall. Elania’s voice hinted at a malicious spot in her flawless personality. She seemed to hint of a darkness and disgust surrounding her relationship with the infamous Alex.

“Excuse me?” Anastay asked with shock.

“It’s nothing!” Elania brushed off quickly, forcing a smile. “So, why did he creep you out? He wants to get to know you better, or so I’ve heard.”

“He grabbed my wrist, because I told him no. It looked like he was seriously going to hurt me. He’s such a creep. I guess the scariest part was the fact that it felt like he might be able to snap my wrist in two by holding it,” Anastay admitted honestly, knowing that Elania was a friend she could confide in.

“You probably read him the wrong way,” Elania replied, shrugged her lean shoulders.

“No, he yelled at me, saying that I was going to get it.”

“He’s teasing.”

“El–”

“Anastay, he isn’t like that, okay?!” Elania fired with a heated voice that could melt the paint from the office walls. Anastay backed up in shock at the reaction she received from Elania, holding her hands in surrender. She had never actually had Elania snap at her with such vehemence. “Alex is a good person. If only you’d give him a damn chance!”

“I’m sorry, El,” Anastay stammered, trying not to push buttons.

“Why can’t you give him a true chance?”

“Why are you so eager to have me date him?”

“Because he’s a great guy.”

“For a probable-rapist,” Anastay muttered.

“Excuse me?” Elania growled.

“Nothing El, I guess I’m just going to go home,” Anastay replied, grabbing her coat. She wanted to get away from Elania. There was something wrong with her today. Anastay knew she would be safer at home with Taco and the wolf.

“Do you want company?” Elania asked, her mood softening as fast as it had heated. Anastay gave her a bizarre look. Elania acted as if nothing had happened.

“No!” Anastay blurted.

“Why? Hot date?” Elania purred.

“I’m thinking of calling Alex?” Anastay lied, reaching for her car keys.

“That’s great!” Elania gushed.

“Awesome, so I’ll see you tomorrow?” Anastay asked, reaching for the back door.

“Like always,” Elania bubbled, waving her friend off as if nothing serious had occurred between them.
Animal Intelligence by Anastacia
Chapter 16 ~ Animal Intelligence

Anastay took a deep breath as she walked into her darkened house, somewhat nervous about the entire ordeal that may await her. She prayed that the wolf was healing and he would be somewhat conscious. She knew that Taco had been extremely upset with the new friend, and she wondered if the dog would soon accept their visitor. Taco, after all, was the baby of the family and spoiled rotten. But, he would have to make adjustments for their new family member. And knowing that the wolf’s body would take some time to heal, she began to plan that he could stay in the Taco’s room for a while until his flank finally healed.

She still felt nothing unusual about caring for the wolf as she stripped off her lab coat and removed various items from her pockets. At first, she feared him, but now it was different. There was something special inside the wolf’s soul that called to her when she did the surgery. She felt the kindness in his body as she treated him and prayed for him. In addition, in her heart, there was a deep sense of longing for the animal. Something inside pushed her to take care of him. Something inside started to question her love for the animal.

“Taco?” Anastay called softly as she opened the door leading to her living room. She found the house extremely dark, because the sun had already set without much warning to the world, almost as if exhausted with today’s lengthy activities. But, that thought disappeared when she didn’t hear Taco running to her. She hoped he wasn’t too jealous of the wolf. With defeat, she turned around to switch the lights.

You’re home!’ a voice called into her skull.

“I was working,” Anastay replied, not really thinking anything of it as she prepared to travel into the kitchen for something to drink. Yet, she turned on her heel and felt herself startled by someone talking to her. The lights flooded against the silvery-white hair of the wolf. Her jaw dropped open in surprise. “I thought someone was talking to me,” she told the wolf shakily.

I am,’ the voice continued.

“Damn, my key-chains are just hitting right on the spot,” Anastay feared as she glanced at her key-chain. It read: I Listen To The Voices Inside My Head. She felt herself shiver as the wolf kept a steady eye on her. This just didn’t feel right. She had been with enough psychiatric patients to recognize the signs of a mental breakdown…

Anastay, you’re not crazy.’

“Who the Hell is talking to me?!” Anastay finally screamed in anguish as she ran to her living room. She saw Taco lying on the couch fast asleep. She dove against the cushions, burying her face into the pillows as the voice continued to taunt her. The voice was softly demanding, almost pleading with her to calm. But how could she possibly calm herself? It didn’t make sense, more so, it angered her. She had left the city for peace of mind, not insanity. She felt a sob catch in her throat as the voice told her to look up. “Leave me alone!”

Anastay, do not become frightened.’

“That’s ironic!” Anastay snorted bitterly.

You must look up.’

“Please leave me be!”

I can’t.’

LEAVE ME ALONE!”

ANASTAY, GLANCE UP!’ the voice barked with order. Anastay jumped at the curtness in the voice. She immediately pulled her head up and glanced around, praying that it wasn’t God Himself, otherwise she would start to believe she was truly crazy. But, thankfully, her eyes locked with the wolf. She sniffled, feeling drawn to him. ‘I speak,’ the voice called as the wolf stared directly into her eyes.
And silence enveloped her…

“…I’m talking to a wolf?” Anastay finally asked in puzzlement.

Yes.’

“I’m fucking out of my mind!” Anastay moaned in agony as she fell off the couch. She went to stand up, but the wolf grabbed the bottom of her jean cuffed and nipped lightly. She yelped in surprise as she went crashing onto the floor. The wolf limped carefully over and placed his front paw on her shoulder.

You are special,’ the wolf spoke to her through his heart and into her own. ‘You have the power to communicate with me, because you have a special link. Our ancestors are tied together as one. You must believe, or you will loose the connection with me.

“You’re a wolf, I have no ancestral linkage with a wolf!” Anastay protested with anguish. Her mind ached from the speaking into her brain and the reality of the situation was frightening. She wanted to just sleep. She felt like she was being torn apart by two worlds. There was something so strange about this town, and she didn’t want any part of it.

You have the heart of a child. Just believe the impossible, Anastay. Believe and trust in me. I will help you. I can save you.

“From what?” Anastay gasped out, choking on a sob.

Danger.’

“There is no danger!’

There is danger where a wolf treads, always.’

Anastay remained quiet for the longest moment, trying to rationalize the situation. But that seemed impossible. So, swallowing back the worries, she just watched him closely for a sign. The wolf was right. She felt like she was walking the dangerous path. There was something hidden within the trail she was uncovering. There was a secret that needed to be revealed, but one step closer to the secret was another step closer to death.

Anastay, believe,’ the voice began to fade softly into her ears. She felt relief at the thought of not hearing the voice again. ‘I need you. I need you so badly. Your Great–Great-Grandmother, Grace, led me before. Your family sacrificed. Please lead me.’

Anastay’s heart lurched in surprise as the voice grew faint. She sat up quickly to meet the wolf’s dark brown eyes. How could this voice know her great-great-grandmother? The woman had died many years ago, before Anastay had even graced the world. She had lived in the late 1800s, while the country was still settling down. She felt a lump form in her throat.

Anastay,’ the voice whispered.

“You will protect me?” she asked, glancing at the wolf.

You believe?’ the voice asked with more strength.

“You are a wolf, and we speak. We must have some connection. There is no other explanation that I could deliver. I’m not schizophrenic. I believe.”

You must tell no one of our link. Telling of your specialty would certainly seal our fates of death. Please, keep this silent. Do not reveal this to anyone. Trust no one in this town.

“But–”

Only trust me.’

“Okay,” Anastay agreed as the wolf removed his paw from her shoulder. She sat up, rubbing her sore back. The wolf approached her and gently licked her hand, placing his snout beneath her palm.

Thank you for saving me.

“I felt drawn to you. I couldn’t let you die.”

We are a strong pair.

“I think I can believe that.”

Do you have any questions?’

“What is your name?” Anastay asked, becoming accustomed to speaking with the wolf. She watched Taco looking at them. He made no move to attack. Taco was finally at ease with the wolf and each word spoken to the wolf made Anastay’s heart ease with peace. “I can’t just call you ‘wolf.’ It isn’t right.”

My name is Howard.’

“A man’s name?”

Yes.’

“I must be mistake – you’re a wolf?”

In physical formalities, yes.’

“In spirit?”

A man.’

“A real man?”

You will understand in due time. Right now, this speaking has made you weary. Please rest and sleep. Tomorrow will be a busy day for you.’

“Why?”

Work is tiring. I cannot let you leave this house alone, and I need to gain my strength for the search. I will always be watching, never forget that. Many are out to hurt you, and I need to figure a way to control the evil. So, sleep while I plot.’

“But, you must have a story behind this speech!”

In due time, My Anastay.
Obedience by Anastacia
Chapter 17 ~ Obedience

Alex paced back and forth within Elania’s tiny apartment, like a caged animal longing for an escape from a tiny metal box that human’s decided to call his ‘habitat.’ He needed answers. He craved the immortal power waiting for him at the end of his long search. He felt the anxiousness of his body spread as Elania watched him carefully. His senses began to sharpen dramatically as the clock inched its way to midnight.

“I have been searching far too long, Elania,” Alex stressed as he stopped in his tracks. He felt his senses start to change. His sight became clearer as he stood a few feet from Elania. Though he stood far away, he still could trace the small flecks of cinnamon on her dark cheeks.

“It takes time, Alex,” Elania replied shakily, grasping the cross that hung from her neck. She didn’t know why Alex had shown up to her home so late. He had stayed away from her for so many years, acting as if she had a deadly plague when they crossed each other’s paths in town. The night was late and she craved sleep. Without sleep, she wouldn’t have the power to maintain her appearance. Each hour was crucial for her. “Look for another night.”

“I don’t have the time to look again!” Alex snapped in anger, slamming his powerful fist into her wooden table. She watched as the wood cracked beneath his fist. She winced at the sharp sound of splintering, knowing debris had to embed into his hand.

“You have time.”

“No time!”

“Alex–”

“She knows where he is,” Alex snarled as he glanced at Elania. Her dark eyes glazed over with confusion. Alex could smell the small amount of vanilla misted onto her wrists that was sprayed in hopes to attract a male companion to the mournfully lonely female.

“Who knows where he is?”

“Anastay. She knows, Elania. We need her to tell us. I need to find him! Without him, we’re dead. There is no power behind a weakling! Elania, tell me what you know! I can sense that you’re lying to me and keeping me in the shadows. I want no more distrust. You must tell me!”

“She’s been asking questions,” Elania faltered, stepping back for a moment. “She asks of the mansion and the roses. I tell her not to think about it. The mansion is an old building with no story.”

“Yet, I still catch her up there searching! She knows there’s something lurking about up there. My precious plan will be ruined if she discovers anything. I cannot afford a flaw in my plan. Why is she up there, Elania?” Alex growled, “Did you tell her the story?”

“NO!” Elania shrieked out in surprise. “I would never betray you like that, Alex!” Elania reached out to lightly brush her hand against his cool cheek. Alex snarled as he leapt away from her touch. It looked as if Elania had scorched him with her tenderness. “You know I would do anything for you.”

“Then listen closely!” Alex ordered as he grabbed her by the throat, pushing her up against the wall. Elania’s back cracked against the weary plaster. She winced as Alex’s dark eyes locked against hers. They seemed to glow a deathly red, reminding Elania of all the blood shed for his plan.

“I-I-I’m listening,” she stammered.

“Keep Anastay away from the mansion! In due time, she will go to the mansion. Remember, no one is to be near the mansion. Especially, keep Anastay away from the roses. Her purity will ruin everything if we are not careful,” Alex ordered with a stiff voice. He glared hard at Elania, making her shrink back in fear. She knew that she could not fail Alex. Her life depended on his life. They were two knots of string fastened together from the highest cliff, if one strand frayed, they would crash to the rocks below.

“What ever you say, Love.”

“Good,” Alex grimaced, releasing her from his tight grasp. A flow of air entered her lungs as her knees began to crumple. She reached out and held the wall tightly.

“Your will is my command,” she told him.

“Thank you, Elania.”

“Are we close?” she asked, referring to his plan.

“Close enough.”

“That is beautiful, my love,” Elania gushed as she reached out to run her fingertips through his hair. Her other hand went brush against his supple lips. Before she could caress his lips – Alex reacted. He brought his hand up and delivered a feverish slap to her cheek. Elania stumbled back in agony. “Alex!”

“We cannot be caught, love,” he told her with a pleading whisper. “Anastay needs to know nothing of our engagements. We must keep secretive. Love, do you understand?”

“I am sorry, Alex,” she sniffled.

“Stress is getting to me,” Alex answered as he handed her the handkerchief to wipe the blood from the corner of her mouth. He crouched down to where she lay. He offered a smile. “Obey me, and all will be well. Soon enough, we will be together.”

“Forever?” Elania asked hopefully.

“Forever,” Alex agreed as he kissed his palm. He reached over and pressed his palm against her unruly black curls. He offered another smile as the clock began to ring at the toll of midnight. “Obey me, and our love will last.”

“Always, Alex,” Elania promised as he stood up and ran out of her house. He would be in the woods to search by the last chime for midnight. One woman would not falter his plan. Elania promised her love that much.
Foreshadowing Recollections by Anastacia
Chapter 18 ~ Foreshadowing Recollections

Anastay watched with baited breath as her Great-Great-Grandmother Grace went running blindly into the thick brush, obviously aching to hide from whatever lurked in the deeper shadows. The darkness seemed to consume them both as Anastay rushed after her, the icy air constricting the maximum expansion of her already aching lungs. Grace smothered a scream of fear while the footsteps cracked above the brush, indicating that someone was drawing closer than anticipated. She hiked up her skirts that were catching against the thorns of each bush, attempting to increase her speed. She prayed that God would save her.

Anastay continued to follow, nonetheless, not understanding why she was not out of breath like Grace. She could feel each emotion passing through Grace, however. The anger of defeat, the satisfaction of stealing away, the relief of someone being hidden, and then the fear as the steps approached quickly. Anastay felt more confused while each emotion washed over her consciousness, tempting her to reach further through the lies for the golden truth. She knew the fog that was settling around Grace was the fog of Canines-Rose, where her ancestral linkage could be traced far beyond her great-great grandmother. Finally, she knew where she was, but not why her great-great-grandmother was there with her.

“Grandmother!” Anastay screamed as Grace stopped in her tracks, stumbling on the uneven texture of the woods. Anastay thought she would approach her, but Grace did no such thing. Instead, Grace sunk her knees into the mud of the bog and began to crawl into a small bush of roses. Anastay watched a thorn strike Grace across the face, drawing blood instantly. Grace did not flinch, but continued in deeper.

“HALT!” a voice cried out through the darkness. Anastay felt her heart quicken as the footsteps approached with a haunting menace. One cracked right beside her. Anastay screamed into the figure’s ear, but he didn’t flinch. He merely stepped up against the brush. “Grace Marie Lontenz, I know you are in here! Show yourself, and you will not be harmed!”
Anastay felt her breath catch along with Grace’s breath. Anastay could not see the man, because he was covered with shadows. She watched as his hand snatched downward, grabbing Grace by the throat. Grace made a gasping sound as the man dragged her forward. Anastay screamed out as her great-great-grandmother was thrown to the ground.

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” Grace screamed out.

“Give me what I want!” the man growled.

“I have nothing of the sort!”

“You have that!” the man spat, reaching down to snatch the necklace glittering off her neck. The chain snapped in two pieces. Grace reached up to feel the trickle of blood running from her neck. She cringed as the man let the emerald necklace fall to the ground. She reached to grab it, but the man stomped down against the precious stone.

“It means nothing!” Grace cried out, her eyes locked on the cracked jewel.
“Then why do tears streak your face?”

“Sir, because you have tracked me down in the dead of night.”

“There is a reason for that, madam.”

“There is no reason. Just leave me be.”

“You have what I want,” the man said, motioning toward the small shawl Grace was carrying. Instinctively, Grace brought the wrapped item closer to her bosom. “Exactly, Grace, you have what I want.”

“He is gone, there is nothing more you can do.”

“That book will tell me the truth, wench!”

“The book has nothing!”

“Then maybe your throat will tell me what I need to hear!” the man cried out as the moonlight began to cascade over his body. Anastay felt nauseous as she heard the man’s bones begin to crack and disfigure. His back arched as he fell to all fours. His face became distorted with shadows as more bones cracked. Fur began to sprout against his creamy skin.

“LEAVE ME BE!” Grace screamed with fury as the beast transformed. She struggled to get to her feet. The mud made her slip and fall as she clawed at the damp ground. She flailed miserably as the beast latched his humongous jaws onto her ankle. “HELP!” Grace screamed in agony as the beast ripped her flesh and dragged her backward.

“GRANDMOTHER!” Anastay screamed out in helplessness. She watched as the beast placed his paw against her face, holding her still in the filth. Anastay fell to her knees, unable to move. Her legs were frozen in place as she sobbed in vain. “LEAVE HER ALONE!”

“Where is he?” the beast growled out as his wolf-like hands tore into her thick dress. She yelped in agony as the rough nails pierced her flesh. He continued to dig each into her bare flesh as she screamed for salvation.

“I KNOW NOTHING!”

“You know death.”

“I know a hellion!” Grace spat up against his gruesome face. “You will burn in the fiery pits of Hell for your trickery. You will never be able to feel the warmth of salvation, because the Devil will be spitting fire at your feet!”

“Death knows your blood is coming!” the man screamed as he lunged at Grace. She lay there, not giving him the satisfaction of screaming any longer. She knew her life was gone. There was no point in fighting the obvious.

Anastay screamed out as the man sunk his massive jaws into Grace’s soft throat. He heard her gurgle as his teeth entered - and with one swift move – tore the flesh away from her throat. The ripping sound of her flesh caused Anastay to sink too her knees. Anastay turned away and felt her stomach heave as the blood poured from her grandmother’s neck. The pulpy flesh remained a former vision of Grace’s neck as the wolf spit out the remains of her skin. Small strings of muscle hung from his bloody teeth. He let his saliva drain away onto her paling skin, and then ran away into the deeper brush.

“Grandmother?” Anastay called hoarsely as she went to reach out and grab for her, but was stopped. Anastay still couldn’t move from her spot. She watched in dismay as Grace’s beautiful emerald eyes stayed open at the horror that she had endured. Her beautiful pale skin glimmered against the soft moonlight. Her beautiful thick dresses coated with her sticky blood, coating her body with a blanket of crimson roses.

“GRACE?” a voice called into the night.

“HELP! OH GOD! PLEASE HELP MY GRANDMOTHER!” Anastay screamed out to the voice. She found herself in vain. She couldn’t understand why no one could hear her pleas. She wanted to strike something and break it. She knew Grace was already dead, but she didn’t want her death top be futile. At least get her help.

“Grace, I can’t find my father,” the boy’s voice called again. Anastay watched a young boy stumble out into the clearing from the forest. He was extremely young and lean. His unruly black curls pulled back by a simple piece of black fabric. He clutched his stomach as he fell where Grace lay. “Grace, why are you laying on the dirty ground?”

The boy reached his hand out to grasp onto one of Grace’s tender curls. As his hands swept over the silky blonde tress, a sticky substance covered his hand. He fell back in shock, noticing his hands covered in blood. His eye froze on her pale neck. “Oh, GRACE! Not you also!”

Grace never replied to the boy. Anastay wanted to comfort the boy’s small form, but she could not. She watched the boy cry out as a glittering object caught his eye. He reached out to touch the flawed gem, and then cringed. Anastay jumped back as the boy hit all fours, screaming in agony. His screams battled against the howling wind as his bones slowly started to crack.

*~*~*


ANASTAY!’ a voice called out into Anastay’s sleepless slumber. She tossed and turned until she felt warmness spread over her hand. Her back arched as she sat straight up in her bed, panting heavily. ‘Anastay, you are fine.

She glanced down to see Taco sleeping on her pillow, and the wolf perched at her side. The noble wolf laid his head on her stomach, sleepily gazing at her. Instinctively, Anastay reached out and caressed the side of the wolf’s head, soothed by the warmth of his fur. “The dream was terrible,” she confessed.

Seemed to be that way. Are you okay?

“Scared, that’s all.”

Of what did you dream?

“My Great-Great-Grandmother Grace was running through the woods. I don’t know why, but a man stopped her. She was killed, and then a boy came crawling out to save her. Then I heard the sound of bones cracking. She was hiding something from the man that killed her,” Anastay replied with a feeling of ice pressing against her backbone. She knew her fear had something to do with the wolf. She glanced down, “The man turned into a wolf, Howard. Were you that wolf?”

No,’ the wolf told her quickly – a little too quickly in Anastay’s judgment. He leaned in and licked her face gently. ‘I promised you protection, and I have always protected your line of ancestors. Never will you be hurt.

Anastay settled back into her covers while the wolf snuggled against her side. She hadn’t dreamed of her family in so long, much less her great-great grandmother. She hadn’t even known the woman, but yet she recognized her instantly through the misty haze. She closed her eyes, trying to wipe the disturbing dream from her thoughts. She had an eerie feeling about the necklace and book her great-great-grandmother had.
She felt her heart suddenly lurch at the thought of the book. She remembered on her second encounter with the wolf she had found a book. Howard had kept her from the book. Could that be the same book that could lead Anastay to the truths of her own questions? The idea sent Anastay into a tizzy of delight. Tomorrow, answers would be given.
Keep My Confidence by Anastacia
Chapter 19 ~ Keep My Confidence

“Feels so nice to lock the office up early! Never could do that in a city hospital or office!” Elania bubbled as she pushed the door shut for Anastay. She adjusted her thick black curls that framed her face, bouncing on the heels of her feet with excitement. She then beamed a smile at Anastay. “Don’t you agree?”

“Of course I do,” Anastay answered, brushing off the conversation. She hadn’t slept well that night. She kept having the same dream. That morning the wolf had talked to her for a moment, trying to tell her the reasons, but work had come too soon. She just wanted everything to turn back normal, but somehow, she knew it wouldn’t. There was something so forbidden within her heart that was dying to be released.

“Anastay, are you alive?” Elania called loudly.

Anastay quickly focused her gray eyes on Elania’s dark eyes. She struggled to comprehend what Elania had been babbling about for the past five minutes. She couldn’t recall any of the words. Elania was becoming annoying. “Excuse me?”

“I was just offering to take you to dinner.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Working a little too hard?”

“Just a little,” Anastay lied.

“Want to come to dinner?”

“Um, I don’t know–”

“Alex will be taking us! He offered. Isn’t he the sweetest guy? He’s so kind, and he fancies you. I believe we should take him up on his offer.”

Anastay’s heart lurched at the sound of his name. Howard said to trust no one, and that’s what she would do. Howard seemed far more knowledgeable about Canines-Rose than any single human surrounding her and he begged for trust. It was a desperate plea that made Anastay nervous to question. So instead she followed. And after Alex’s bizarre behavior, she no longer wanted to associate with him. He frightened her. She would stay as far away from him as the city limits would allow. “No, thank you,” Anastay replied rather quickly.

“You’ve always taken up my offers on dinner,” Elania answered with a frown. She could see the skittish behavior resting in Anastay’s soul. She narrowed her dark eyes with suspicion. “What could you possibly have to do tonight?”

“Taco has no food as of now,” Anastay replied. She didn’t know if that excuse would buy off Elania’s negative thoughts. She knew it was a terrible lie. She couldn’t remember another time where she had to lie so frequently.

“Call a friend to feed him.”

“It’s not the same.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’m sorry, El, but it’s just what I have to do,” Anastay answered with an apologetic smile. She would go home and feed Taco, but wouldn’t stay there. She was dying to explore the mansion further. Her dream had tantalized her. She would find the book, and that was final. “I really do need to get home.”

“Is it because Alex invited us?”

“No!”

“Anastay, I know it is.”

“El–”

“He’s a great guy, you should get to know him better!”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Anastay–”

“Goodbye, El!”

Elania watched as Anastay jumped into her jeep. Anastay hurriedly pulled away from the parking lot, like she was late for something. Elania felt a tremor of nervousness creep down her spine. She knew that Anastay was planning on doing something besides feeding Taco. She hesitantly reached into her purse and pulled out her cell phone.

“I told you not to call me here!” Alex barked as the annoying ring sounded in his ear. The ID Caller had alerted him to who had called and he wasn’t pleased.

“Alex, it’s not my fault!” Elania whined immediately.

“You know you’re not allowed to dial this number! What if I was out with her and you called? That would look highly suspicious at this time, Elania!”

“That’s just it!”

“What?”

“Anastay has left me, and I want you to follow her. I know she’s up to no good. Alex, you just have to see what she’s doing. I just wanted to make sure you knew and all.”

“Oh, thanks,” Alex grunted, his voice going soft.

“I love you,” Elania called, but the phone clicked for a hasty reply.

*~*~*


Anastay squeezed her body into the opening to the basement. She was relieved that the window boards were still loose from her last entrance. She had told the wolf what she was planning on doing, and he just said to bring the journal right back. The conversations between them didn’t seem so odd now. She was used to confiding in him and knew that the wolf was hiding secrets from her. Anastay felt her legs hit the dusty floor with a jolt as she lost track of her thoughts.

“Okay, just think, Anastay,” she told herself as her eyes adjusted to the darkness that surrounded her. She felt a cold chill sweep by her body. Instantly, she rubbed her hands on her bare shoulders. Something was wrong.

“Where did I leave it?” she pondered, turning around the room. She noticed something glimmer in the distance. Anastay hurried over to it, bumping her knee against the boards.

“Damn!” she cursed, reaching down to rub her knee. Once she kneaded the pain away to a dull ache, she brought her fingers along the board that had struck her knee. Quickly, she discovered it was a large bench. She knew that the book was probably lying on the desk. She reached out until her hands brushed against the rough texture of the crumbling walls.

“Damn!” Anastay cursed yet again, running her fingers down the wall. She felt something prick her skin, knowing the wall was quite sharp. She continued down along the wall, but yelped as her hand was suddenly lost within the wall. She felt some cobwebs, but decided to reach further into the cubbyhole she had mistakenly found. Reaching farther into the dark, she brushed up against something with a softer feeling. Her heart skipped a beat.

“There it is!” she exclaimed, grasping the leather bound book. She hadn’t a clue what it really was until she brought it to her face. Sure enough, her eyes came face to face with a small journal. The letters were done in golden calligraphy and twinkled in the moonlight. Her eyes grew bright, knowing she had found something important.

Anastay turned around to leave, but bumped into a hard object. She fell a few steps backward, until something grabbed her roughly by the shoulders. She was brought against the firmness, and then she saw the dark glittering eyes. Anastay shuddered in fear, trying to pull away as she stuffed the small journal in her back pocket.

“LET GO OF ME!” she screeched.

“Anastay! What are you doing here?” Alex barked roughly into her ear. Anastay yelped in fear, trying to pull away again. Alex’s grip grew firmer. She found herself wincing in pain, knowing she was in trouble now.
The Emerald's Tale by Anastacia
Chapter 20 ~ The Emerald’s Tale

Anastay winced as she held her bruising wrist. Last night Alex had found her snooping within the confines of the mansion. He had let her go with a warning, but not without a firm tongue-lashing. He warned that if he caught her up at the mansion snooping again, she would be in jail for the night. That was trespassing, even if the mansion was abandoned. Anastay left without another word, knowing it could be more dangerous if he knew she had the journal.

“He’s so damn weird,” Anastay told Howard as she sat in the porch swing in her back yard. Taco lay on her lap as Howard lay on the other seat in the swing. She looked comfortable as let her feet push them in a steady motion. Anastay had grown to think of the animals as her family, though she was embarrassed to say.

What is his name again?’ Howard messaged into Anastay’s head. She found it odd that his voice popped in her head. It was a sultry voice. She found his voice attractive, but he was a wild animal. Anastay rolled her eyes, focusing on the animal.

“Alex McLean.”

He’s sheriff?

“Yes.”

Stay away from him.’

“I already had THAT plan,” Anastay stressed as she leaned back. She felt something poke her back. Anastay’s memory lapsed quickly. She reached back and snatched the book from her back pocket. Her eyes grew wide as she read the inscription of the name: My Love, Grace.

You found the journal?’ Howard exclaimed into Anastay’s head. She cringed as Howard whimpered and then gave a growl when she didn’t seem to pay attention to his inquiry. She narrowed her eyes in confusion, not understanding why it was of such value to a wolf.

“Of course,” she answered. “This is the journal from my dreams and I got it from that old mansion.”

That is Grace’s journal!

“Yes, Howard,” Anastay answered. She went to peek at the fading pages, but she heard Howard’s sharp growl. Her head snapped up in time to see his lethal jaws snatch away the book. The fur on his sleek back rose. Anastay fell back in her porch-swing with shock. He had never been so aggressive with her before, but since she didn’t fear him it seemed natural to snap back. “What the HELL is your problem?”

You can not read that yet,’ he told her sharply.

“Why? You told me to get it.”

I need to tell you a story first.

“What kind of story?” Anastay asked, raising her eyebrows with curiosity. She watched Howard run out into her backyard, disappearing behind the brush. He snatched a small pouch with his muscular jaws and returned with quick strides to the porch. He set it at his side, staring intently at her with his dark eyes. “What story?”

A story of the past.’

“About the dreams?” she asked hopefully.

Yes, the beginning of everything in this town.’

“Okay,” Anastay answered, perking up. She quickly put to memory what Elania had told her about the mansion. She planned to match up the stories. She didn’t know why, but she had faith in Howard. Even though many might think she was crazy, she trusted Howard.

The mansion belonged to a powerful man. He owned most of Canine’s Rose, and dabbled in some sorts of magic, but nothing too dangerous. He was a generous man and no one really bothered him. He helped everyone in town, and his goodness and magic were known to everyone.

“That doesn’t sound so bad. So, if he was so generous, why should I fear everyone in Canine’s Rose?”

There is two parts to the story.

“Oh.”

There was another family in Canine’s Rose. The man hunted on a regular basis with his son. They were evil – maybe too evil. However, one night, the man’s son came across a wolf. He fought and wrestled with the animal, only to be bitten. The only problem was, the wolf had a curse on it. The next night, the son turned into the wolf. He went insane with his discovery, and his father threatened to write him out of the will.

“Oh, that’s bad…”

He decided that he would change and he knew the man in the mansion could do it. However, the man refused to change him, knowing that the curse would teach him a lesson. He only helped the good. The son grew angry with it and vowed revenge.

“Revenge? What kind of revenge? Everyone knew he was a wizard. He couldn’t do anything to him that could possibly be that terrible, could he?”

He could use magic against him. He was seeing a woman in town. She was young and deflowered very early by him. Therefore, he passed the word along that the man in the mansion had put a spell over the young lady. He told them that the spell was one of love, so he could use her body.

Meanwhile, the man of the mansion was seeking your great-great-grandmother’s courtship. Their families were good friends and went back ages ago. They were always seen together, so it was natural that man should fall for woman, and that woman shall fall for man. She loved him so, and he as well. She said she would die for him, and she did.

“What?” Anastay squeaked, her eyes growing bitterly cold. She struggled to comprehend the importance of the story. Howard’s dark eyes turned to soft velvet and she felt her own eyes prick with tears.

The son started the rumor, and soon, everyone was coming after his girlfriend and the man of the mansion. He had rumored that his girlfriend decided to join the man’s dark arts, and she was burned at the stake. The man decided to run. He had a young son, but the son was supposed to be hidden from harm.

Grace knew of the man’s plans, and promised to help. She promised to save his son, but died trying. That night, the man slipped away as the girlfriend burned on the stake. Before the man ran, he gave Grace an amulet of protection. He promised that with that amulet, she could protect herself and his son. Grace was searching to find the son, but the dark wolf caught her. He ripped off the amulet, and Grace died for love.

“I saw that in my dream,” Anastay murmured in shock. She didn’t realize that’s why her great-great-grandmother had died. She bowed her head in silence for a moment.

Anastay, here,’ Howard called into her head. Anastay glanced up to see him push the small pouch with his snout. Anastay took the pouch and opened it. Her jaw dropped in surprise. ‘You wear this for protection.’

“THE AMULET!” she screeched in true surprise, which seemed to place a smirk on Howard’s face. The necklace of love given to her ancestor now lay in her own hands. It was a beautiful jewel and represented so much to Anastay. It was a dark emerald coloring, and embedded in a bright silver casing. The metal was engraved with wolves dancing around the sides with fire. She glanced up as Howard nodded for her to put it on. She felt the cool metal against her skin as she fingered the delicate details. “How did you find it?”

That’s the rest I need to tell you.

“How do I fit in, Howard? I don’t understand. I know it was my great-great-grandmother, but everyone is dead. No one can survive into this century. Why must I watch out for others? I don’t see how I fit into this puzzling history.”

Anastay, there is some more I need to say.

“Go ahead.”

Before Howard could speak, Taco yipped crazily with obvious disturbance. There was a soft cracking of branches that put both animals in a state of unrest. The blonde hairs began to rise on the back of Anastay’s neck as the amulet grew fiery against her skin. She looked to see Alex walking toward the back of her porch.

Howard!” Anastay whispered hoarsely for protection.

“Whom are you talking with?” Alex’s voice boomed.

Anastay jumped with fright, hurriedly slipping the amulet into her shirt for protection. She knew Alex hated wolves. She glanced into her yard to see that Howard was gone. She looked on her porch – the pouch was also gone. She breathed a sigh of relief, glancing up at Alex. “I was talking to Taco.”

“Taco?” Alex asked with misgivings.

“Yes, I always talk to him. He’s like family.”

“How…pleasant…” Alex trailed, glancing at Anastay’s profile. He was checking up on her, deciding if she was causing trouble. He narrowed his eyes to the piece of jewelry glittering on her slim neck. When she bent to tie her shoe, he noticed the glitter of a deep green nestled between the soft crevice of her breasts. He felt his breath go short – the amulet.

“Are you feeling well?” Anastay asked stiffly as she noticed his pale complexion. She narrowed her eyes at him, wondering what his malfunction could possible be. She didn’t like the hazy look in his eyes. She went to go inside, but Alex blocked her against the door.

“I think we should go to dinner, alone,” he said suddenly.

“I don’t think we’re compatible, Alex,” Anastay whispered.

“I think we’re perfect.”

“No, Alex.”

“Anastay, you must say yes,” he threatened. He clamped his hand down on her bruised wrist, squeezing tighter. He would not take ‘no’ for an answer. He always got what he wanted when it came to the opposite sex and Anastay was no different. She would obey him or suffer a heavy wrath.

“Elania is looking for you. Why don’t you take her to dinner? She’s quite interested in you, Alex. I think you two would make a great couple,” Anastay said shakily. She could honestly admit that she feared him.

“Elania will never do. I want you, Anastay.”

“Let go of my arm,” she said, changing the subject.

“Say yes to dinner.”

“Alex!”

“Anastay,” Alex growled, tightening his grip.

Anastay winced at the pain he was causing. She could get out no other way. One night wouldn’t kill her. She took a deep breath, narrowing her eyes. “Fine, Alex! One date, and that’s all!”
Ominous Behavior by Anastacia
Chapter 21 ~ Ominous Behavior

Anastay tapped her foot nervously against the mat in Alex’s old, rusty pinto. ‘He’s supposed to be the most important man in town, and he drives a crappy Pinto, how quaint,’ she thought with a grimace of pain. She still couldn’t believe after everything she had said, she actually still went on a date with him. He was nothing but a vermin to her.

Even the wolf had gotten upset when she told him. She was offended for the first moment, because he had left her to deal with the annoyance alone. She didn’t have any other option when Alex had pressured her. If she hadn’t allowed the date to proceed, she might have gotten charged for the breaking and entering she had committed. He might have even taken the journal away.

“So, how do you like Canine’s Rose so far?” Alex asked as he stepped out of his Pinto. He opened Anastay’s door and forced her out. She noted that they were along the edge of the woods. She felt the hairs on the back of her neck prickle with awareness as the amulet grew hot again.

“Its fine,” she answered as he snaked his hand against her hip and pulled her close. She felt like hitting him sharply across the face, but hesitated. She knew she was balancing on a thin rope now, probably one that was starting to fray as each moment passed. She would not press her luck.

“Elania finds you enchanting,” Alex murmured for a moment.

“She’s a hard worker.”

“Many years ago she wasn’t.”

“Many years?” Anastay repeated.

“What?” Alex asked. He narrowed his dark eyes at Anastay. She noticed the flicker of a black flame as dark coals heated in his irises. She fell silent immediately, breaking their concentrated stare at one another. “Did you enjoy dinner?”

“The dingy diner was perfect,” she quipped sarcastically.

“You have quite a mouth,” Alex snapped suddenly.

“I’m sorry. That was quite rude of me,” Anastay replied, acting sorrowful. She had to bite down her words. She remembered her father’s many teachings of being polite. She knew that her charms would have to work until she returned to the safety of her home. “How did you enjoy dinner?” she asked, swallowing her pride.

“It was great, because I had a beautiful mate.”

Not quite a mate, moron – I’m not a dog,’ Anastay thought as she glanced up at him. She gave a blushing smile. “Thank you. It was very kind of you to let me pay for dinner.”

Alex noticed the sharpness in her voice. He stopped her for a moment. He knew that she was doing this for pity, but he would make her change. He could allow her the greatest powers of the world, if only she would submit to him. He glanced at her with a wry smile. “You’re quite beautiful even when you use that foul mouth.”

Anastay didn’t reply to his crude seductiveness. She assumed he would leave it at that and she would carry herself to other topics. She wouldn’t play his stupid games. She wasn’t concerned about finding love. She would rather work more closely on establishing her medical career before letting silly ideas infatuate her every move. She felt herself falling into her own dreams.

“You are very beautiful,” Alex rasped in her ear, startling her. She jumped as she felt his hand reach up and grasp her shoulders. She prepared to grab his hands, but he was too quick. He pinned her up against a large rock and she realized he had taken her deep into the thick woods, where no one would travel in such darkness.

“What are you doing?” Anastay snarled.

“You’re so precious,” Alex murmured, a misty look overcoming his eyes. Anastay wanted to push him away, but there was a powerful force within him. She couldn’t lift her shoulders from against the rock. She panicked as his eyes grew haunted. A fog resting within the blackness made her soul nervous.

“This is assault,” she said quickly.

“You love me.”

“I love no one.”

“You are mine.”

“Like Hell I am!”

“Nonsense,” Alex said, grabbing her roughly by her flaxen locks. She felt some follicles rip from her scalp as he threw her to the damp ground. Her back slammed down against the coldness and a sharp pain flew through her spinal cord – coming as a shock to her system. Sharp rocks dug into the tender flesh of her back, pulses of pain urging her to move away from the dangerous rouse. Grunting, she tried to get away from the ground, pushing herself up.

Until Alex caught her by the legs faster than she had imagined. He pulled her back under him. She yelped at the surprising brute force he was using. He was so small stature – lithe, lean, and almost graceful. Yet he was brutally dominating, slamming her backward, and refusing to let her leave. She clawed at the ground, but found herself under his control nonetheless. “I wanted you from the first time I saw you!”

“Alex! Stop!” Anastay screamed as loudly as she could. She glanced at her surroundings, finding it useless to scream. He had taken her deeper into the woods than she had realized. She heard the unbuckling of his belt and found herself thrown into disarray. She struggled, but he grabbed her wrists and slammed them into the muddy ground above her head, causing her own body to sink into the cold floor.

“It won’t take long,” he promised, letting his lips hungrily suck at the salty flavor of her cool, sweaty skin. She pushed against his chest as he hands snaked down to the hem of her shirt, but he never moved. He continued to paw at her flesh as she screamed louder.
Anastay felt helpless against him. She let her struggling die as his thighs pressed tightly against her to pin her down. She found it hard to breathe. Hoping it would make things less worse, she tried to think of other things. She gazed up to notice only bits of light filtering down among the thick tress. Tears blurred her vision as she felt his hands roam her body.

“GET OFF!” she yelled again.

“Grace,” Alex murmured softly against her clammy skin. She yelped in surprise. He had just stated her Great-Great-Grandmother’s name. She pushed against his chest, but he held firm. She found his eyes burning with a fire. His eyes were stormy black, but hued with a soft red. She gasped for a breath.

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” she screamed, although her voice clogged her throat to prevent the scream. She reached around for something to throw at him or stick into him. Her fingers dug into the soft dirt as she heard a crack of a stick. It sounded like a gunshot in her and Alex’s ears.

Anastay turned her head in time to see a brilliant silvery object soar from the dark bushes. Alex roared out as he brought a sharp hand against her cheek, slicing her flesh like thin paper. She yelped loudly as the silvery object leapt onto Alex’s back, grabbing for the back of the throat. Alex stood up, hastily trying to throw the beast.

Anastay then took her chance. She scrambled up from the muddy ground. She backed away as quickly as she could, hitting her back against the rock. The sharpness of the rock brought a startling revelation. The silvery object was fighting Alex for her to get away. She was being saved. Anastay turned around from the hideous sight of the beast tearing at Alex’s flesh, and ran.

*~*~*


Anastay sobbed as she huddled in the corner of her large house, shivering violently from the brutal attack. She had turned off every light that even hinted at the thought of her being home, just wanting to disappear within the depths of the cool shadows. She held the tattered parts of her clothing together to conceal her young body as she cowered in the corner of the living room. Sobs choked her throat as she rocked back at forth, trying to soothe herself.

The mere idea of almost being raped scared her terribly. She thought she had been immune to Alex’s sly ways, like the other men that had traveled on the roads intertwining through her life. Yet he had gotten her alone, just like at the mansion. She wondered what would have happened if she hadn’t talked her way out of the creepy mansion. She thought she could fight anything off, but Alex was strong. Too strong.

Anastay’ a voice bubbled into her head.

“L-Leave,” Anastay whispered after she sniffled to hide the tears of anguish. She was more embarrassed at the fact that she was almost attacked. She had always been levelheaded. What made her think of actually going out alone with him?

I won’t leave you alone.’

“Howard, please!”

The stone is glowing,’ Howard voiced again. Anastay glanced up to see the silver wolf standing in front of her. His dark eyes reflected the brilliant emerald glow of her amulet. She glanced down, her tears falling onto the crystal. ‘I knew you were in danger, because of that stone.’

Anastay’s mind suddenly whirled with pieces of the night. She saw the image of the silver object running from beneath the brush. Her eyes grew bright as she stared into Howard’s wolf-eyes. “Y-You saved me!”

My family swore an oath to protect your family, and your family to mine,’ Howard’s voice said with a soft tone in her head. She glanced up as the tears continued to brim her eyes. She felt powered by his statement.
Howard could see the four deep scratches marring her tanned flesh – a reminder as to what she had endured for the sake of history. He whimpered as she brought her arms around his neck for protection. His beastly body was pulled close to Anastay’s trembling figure as she pressed her face to the softness of his silky coat. He felt her tears start to wet his fur. He leaned in to lick the side of her neck. She buried her face deeper into his coat. Howard nuzzled her neck.

I will always protect you, Anastay. My family’s honor will give you that much.
Malevolence by Anastacia
Chapter 22 ~ Malevolence

Alex snarled in deep frustration as he collapsed into his small couch with defeat. He had barely escaped with his life. The stupid animal had come at such a weak moment for him. He had planned everything so well, but the wolf was far too smart. He growled with recognition that an imprudent beast had smashed his plans into the dusty remains of his father’s bones. He could have converted her with one simple move. He hissed at the idea that she had gotten away so quickly.

Then, another thought crossed his mind as he sat there. She was just like her great-great-grandmother. Both were a great chase, and like Grace, she would be a grand victory in the end. The exhilaration that pulsated through his veins would last another several decades. Alex felt a sly smile creep across his face at the thought of Grace and Anastay. She looked identical to the delicate Grace, both were beautiful and graceful, and each had a tender heart for others. Anastay’s face always blurred with Grace’s face when Alex had her in sight.

“So beautiful,” he whispered to himself as he settled into the couch. He wished that the wolf hadn’t come at that moment. He could have had so much fun with her tender body. It had been ages since he felt a pure woman beneath him. He silently vowed that he would make Anastay his own. She would be his slave, forever.

Alex found himself sharply awoken from his dreams. He could smell a scent of fresh blood. A growl erupted from within his throat as his stomach rumbled for the taste of the metallic blood. The rawness of the blood made his stomach call for food. He glanced around, his eyes narrowing to see the damaged animal calling for its demise.

He soon found that the animal was himself. The blood dripped against his coffee table, each drop falling into a large puddle. It splashed and made a small sound that magnified in Alex’s ears. He winced, the blood sounded like deadly gunshots. He now was seeing the giant teeth marks impressed within his skin with each drip. He stood up to see the back of the couch coated with his dark blood.

“Damn it!” Alex screamed in agony. He grabbed his coffee table with no effort. He slammed it hard against the brittle wall of his apartment, cracking the plaster instantly. The coffee table splintered as Alex’s chest heaved in anger. He needed medical attention quickly, or he would be in danger. He grabbed his keys and a wet rag.
Once he healed, Alex would be ready for another fight. He promised himself that much as he walked toward the door. This time, he would push Anastay away from the picture. He would take the wolf with his own hands, and the wolf would beg for life. He would have the chance soon.

Alex hurried to find the right keys to his car. He went to slam the door, but found that he couldn’t grasp the knob. His arm ached with a fiery pain. He knew that pain too well. The second stage of his injury was occurring.

“Fuck this to Hell,” he growled in anguish.

Alex finally looked at the injured arm. He feared the extent of damage as his arm swelled with grotesque boils. Dozens of pustules coated the arm as pus flowed heavily from the teeth marks. Each boil itself began to fill with a green gooey substance, making them rise high above the clammy skin. The tissue surrounding the boils turned black as the putrid odor of death entered his nostrils.

He knew the only person to cure this was Elania. He remembered that she was at the clinic, with Anastay. He had to risk one more meeting with Anastay before he could return to his original plan. He needed his arm fixed, quickly. If anyone noticed his arm, there would be trouble. They would know his secret. Alex growled, knowing that the wolf had planned it. “DAMN YOU TO HELL, HOWARD!” he screamed with frustration, knowing that the wolf was wiser than he planned.

*~*~*


Anastay tapped her foot impatiently as she grabbed the next patient’s chart. She struggled to think where Elania was. Her mind was numb. She hadn’t wanted to come to work today. Her body was still tired from the lack of sleep and the fresh wounds. She was seriously considering taking a personal holiday and closing the office, but Howard had told her otherwise. She felt vulnerable as she glanced around the room. Her ears filled with the sounds of crying children, sniffles, sneezes, coughs, and other ailments.

She felt foolish for paying such close attention to every sound. She knew she was too edgy today. Last night’s events had made her too aware of the dangers surrounding her. She felt so violated within her own body. She had even made sure that Howard hadn’t left her side until she left for work. The wolf had slept on her stomach for the entire night, although she knew he hadn’t slept much. Howard had kept guard to make sure that Alex never came again.

I’ll be fine. Howard made sure he wouldn’t come back. I bet Alex was just drunk or something stupid. Why else would he attack me? It was just a big misunderstanding, Anastay. Calm down,’ she reinforced herself as she walked toward her examination room. She noticed the heavy door was shut, but heard voices within the room.

“Are you done yet?” Elania’s voice giggled within the room. Her laughter rang against Anastay’s ears, making her wonder what was so funny about a hurt patient. Anastay pressed her ear against the door as she heard another voice calling out to Elania.

“Almost, but I want something more,” the other voice rasped.

“What are you talking about?”

Anastay heard the sharp rattling of the metal bed. Her eyes grew wide with surprise. The sound exploded into her ear, causing her to jump away from the door. She wondered if Elania had given an injection of Novocain into the patient that caused him to jump. She grabbed her tray of tools and pushed the door open without thinking. “Hello, I’m Dr. Lontenz——“

Anastay found her voice drop as she witnessed the most unprofessional meeting that could have occurred between patient and nurse. She noticed immediately that a man was straddling Elania to the examination table with lustful intentions. Elania was moaning out in pleasure as their lips fought against one another, nipping and teasing as the heat pulsated through the room. The man grunted back with satisfaction. Each kiss and nip caused another growl of ecstasy between the two.

Hands were flying every which way as they embraced in another passionate kiss that lasted for a long moment. Their skins melted together, seeming to reflect one whole being. Anastay felt her jaw fall as the heat in the room soared from the kisses and touches. Elania was groping out like a starved woman for food. Each tender caress against her body sent another scream of delight. The man continued to dominate as he controlled the situation with his lips and hands. His tight muscled thighs clamped her against the medical table.

Anastay felt the heat rush to her cheeks. She had walked in on the most embarrassing feeling. She wanted to run away from the fervent scene, but her body was rigid. Her fingers started to tremor with fright. Before she could resist, she let the tray of tools slip from her fingers and go clattering to the floor.

“WHAT THE HELL!” he roared as he stood up immediately. He was obviously startled at the acute sound. He began fixing his pants while he stood in front of Anastay. Elania jumped from the table, pulling her skirt down to let it hang against her ankles again. She reached up to fix her mussed curls. A flush crossed her cheeks as Anastay stood there.
“DON’T YOU KNOW WHAT PRIVACY MEANS?!” the man screamed out without any regrets to the sight before Anastay.

Anastay felt her heart lurch as she gazed right into Alex’s deadly black eyes. The voice caused her heart to turn to an icy stone. He looked so vicious standing there. He wasn’t embarrassed at the sight of his growth bulging against his uniform. She felt her heart leap to her throat with a flighty feeling. She immediately clutched the top of her button-down shirt, making sure to keep covered from his wandering eyes and hands. “This is my office, Alex,” she told him quietly.

“Elania and I were busy!” Alex barked.

“Doing w-what?” Anastay asked, trying to be tough.

“He had an injury to his right arm that I was taking care of,” Elania said haughtily.

“You look to have n-n-no injuries,” Anastay stammered.

“What the Hell?” Alex glanced down at his arm, noting he was fully healed. He gave a wry smile – he could complete his plans with no hassles whatsoever. He leaned in and grasped Elania’s lips with his own. He bit down firmly as their kiss heated. He felt Elania’s body quiver against his rough touch. He heard her whimper of satisfaction. Alex was delighted to see Anastay glance down with a blush.

“Knock next time, Dr. Lontenz. Otherwise, you’ll be in more trouble than you’re worth,” Alex warned as he brushed his fingers under her chin, forcing her to look up as he walked out briskly.

Anastay fell down among the scattered tools, forcing a sob down her throat. The fear made her heart race with a baited beat. Her knees trembled as she hugged herself tightly. She looked up to see Elania still straightening her outfit. Anastay felt completely confused. She had never seen Elania have any sort of connection with Alex.

“You missed out, Anastay,” Elania said briskly, as if reading Anastay’s mind. She went to pulling the dark curls along her neck to hide a bruising mark from a heated kiss. She let the left side of her neck go bare.

“Missed out on what?” Anastay asked with a tremor. Elania went silent. She offered a dark glare at Anastay. She shivered from the look. Anastay found Elania’s mood changes extremely odd. Finally, she noticed a red substance trickling down Elania’s neck.
“Elania?”

“What?”

“You’re bleeding.”

*~*~*


Anastay groaned loudly as she entered her house, tossing down the items in her arms onto the nearby table. She noticed that Howard and Taco were curled on the rug by her fireplace. She took off her shoes and socks as she scurried into her kitchen, not wanting to disturb the two. It had been way too rough of a day. Alex and Elania’s embrace had scared her worse than imagined. Elania had acted odd for the rest of the day, making it impossible to work with her.

She didn’t really know what to make of the situation. Maybe Elania and Alex had been secret lovers for several years, and didn’t want anyone to find out. However, Anastay couldn’t make sense of that plan. If they were lovers, why Alex would want her instead of Elania? If that were the case, why would Elania also push Anastay toward Alex? Every time she thought about it in depth, she became more confused.

She gave a sigh as she sank into her kitchen chair. She noticed that Howard had actually brought the paper to the table. He was a gigantic help to her. Even though she had a wolf as a helper, she felt like he was a real person and she could communicate with him. Sometimes, she felt like she was falling in love with his sentimental thoughts that he always passed to her.

But she pushed away the thoughts of Howard quickly. She didn’t want to think about that. It always made her heart yearn for something more. She didn’t know what to do about the constant state of confusion she was living in. Anastay succumbed to just picking up the paper.

Her heart lurched at the front-page title. She noticed that Howard was sitting at the doorframe, waiting for her to acknowledge him. His kind eyes grew bright when she finally looked his way. It seemed like the dark brown orbs were smiling at her. Anastay narrowed her eyes at the wolf, trying to ignore her feelings for him.

“Did you get hungry today?” she accused with fear. She prayed that the title was not right in the paper. The paper would cause a great stir within the confines of the small town. She would be in great danger if this was the truth. She felt tears sting her eyes. “Did you, Howard?”

No, I ate what you left. Why?

“You’re positive?”

I would never lie to you, Anastay.

“Then someone is definitely trying to screw us over, because this paper is dead serious.” Howard’s dark eyes narrowed as he stepped toward her. She showed him the paper. Then, Anastay read the headline out loud for Howard: Locals Fear Another Wolf Loose – Four Cattle Dead.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1298