A Bolt of Lightning by Belladonna Malfoy
Summary: Miranda Sparrow thought she was a normal sixteen-year-old. She lived with her sister in London and attended school, just like anyone else. It wasn't until she was lured outside into a storm by a mysterious figure in black that her life is - quite litterally - struck by lightning.
Categories: Fanfiction > Movies > Harry Potter Characters: Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, Trio, Other
Genres: Action, Drama, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 12693 Read: 4735 Published: 01/01/04 Updated: 07/02/04

1. Electricity by Belladonna Malfoy

2. And So It Begins by Belladonna Malfoy

3. To Diagon Alley and Beyond by Belladonna Malfoy

Electricity by Belladonna Malfoy
CHAPTER ONE

In what was beginning to be a fruitless attempt to keep her self warm from the biting wind, sixteen-year-old Miranda Sparrow pulled her jacket tighter around herself and continued walking.
‘You shouldn’t be out in that, dear,’ an old woman told her as she stepped into the small shop.
‘I’ll be fine,’ Miranda answered and set off to the bakery section for the bread her sister had sent her to get. As she often did, Miranda walked with her arms crossed over her chest and her head down. She was a few steps from the bakery when she ran into something so solid; it could’ve only been a someone. Miranda lifted her head slightly and looked into the cool blue eyes of the person standing before her. ‘Sorry,’ she mumbled and hurried past him. Miranda purchased the bread and set off on her way home. While she had been in the shop, it had started to rain heavily and within minutes, she was soaked. Rounding the second to last corner to the apartment she shared with her sister small hailstones began to fall and Miranda broke into a run. The pieces of ice hit the back of her neck and stung for a short while after. She pressed the apartment buzzer and her sister’s voice spoke crackly in reply.
‘Who is it?’
‘It’s me, let me in!’ Miranda said desperately. There was a small beep of the door being unlocked and Miranda hurried inside. She ran up the three flights of stairs and banged on the door with a gold number twelve on it. The door swung open and Miranda all but fell inside.
‘Did you get the bread?’ Aden, Miranda’s sister, asked. Miranda held the white plastic bag out and Aden took it from her. ‘Go and change, you’ll get pneumonia.’ Miranda walked to her small bedroom and changed into her pyjamas and walked back into the living room. ‘Why didn’t you get a taxi home if it was raining?’ Aden asked, sitting at the table. Miranda shrugged.
‘I didn’t have enough money with me.’

After a while, Miranda became bored with the soap opera on television decided to go to bed. She lay there, staring at the ceiling, listening to the rain pelt her window and found she really didn’t have any desire to sleep at all. She turned on her lamp that sat on her bed stand, got out of bed and walked to her window. The sky was an eerie, inky blue colour and every now and then, became streaked with lightning. There was a meowing at the door, followed by the sound of the carpet being clawed at. Miranda walked to her door and opened it, her black and white cat called Bump walked in with her tail in the air. Bump jumped onto Miranda’s bed and Miranda went back to her window. There was another flash of lighting and a figure was illuminated standing across the street, looking up at her. It was wearing a long black coat and the rest of their clothes – as far as Miranda could tell – were black as well. Their hair stood out though. It was white-blond and hung to their shoulders. But it didn’t look wet. This confused Miranda because usually when one stands in the rain, one’s hair usually gets wet. Another flash of lightning and the figure was gone. Jumping to her feet, Miranda dove under her bed and retrieved the torch she kept there in case there was a power out. She turned the torch on, opened her window and shone it out. There was no one there. But where did they go? No one can move that fast. They can’t have just disappeared, that’s impossible. Deciding the person must have crossed the street; Miranda put on her trainers and her coat, picked up her door keys and ran out of the apartment, hoping against all hope that she didn’t wake Aden. Down the three flights of stairs and into the lobby. The security guard snorted in his sleep as Miranda wrenched open the door and ran outside into the rain. She shone the torch up and down the street and found it was empty. There weren’t even any cars on the road. Miranda walked into the middle of the road and looked around, aware of the booming thunder and flashes of lightning getting nearer and nearer.
‘Where’d you go?’ Miranda mumbled, still shining the torch around the deserted street. She was, once again, soaked to the bone and very cold. Her hair stuck to her neck and face and her jacket felt as though it was full of lead. Miranda began walking back towards the footpath, when there was a defining clap of thunder and the brightest flash of lighting Miranda had ever seen. For a moment, all she could feel was electricity running through her body from the tips of her fingers to the tips of her toes and through every fibre of her being. As quickly as it begun, it stoped and Miranda fell to the ground, unconscious.

A/N~ Sorry it's so short. It really is just the beginning.

- Bella
And So It Begins by Belladonna Malfoy
‘Will she be okay, professor?’
‘I’m sure she will be, Mr Malfoy…’
‘Her hand twitched, is she waking up?’
‘Please. Keep your voices down…’
There was a mixture of pain and fog swimming around in Miranda’s head. The voices were unrecognisable and sounded as if they were coming from a long way away. Miranda groaned and opened her eyes slowly.
‘She’s awake!’ one of the voices said.
‘Mr Malfoy, how many times do I have to tell you?’ another said.
‘Sorry, Madame Pomfrey,’ the first voice replied a little quieter. Miranda felt a warm hand on her shoulder.
‘Miss Sparrow, are you okay?’ this voice sounded old, but it was deep.
‘My head hurts,’ Miranda mumbled, letting her eyes adjust to the dim light of the room she was in. It looked somewhat like a hospital, but nothing like any of the hospitals Miranda had been in before. The walls were stone and the ceiling was high and arched like a cathedral. There were tall, narrow, stained glass windows at even intervals along the wall opposite Miranda letting in slivers of moonlight. The soft voice spoke again.
‘I guess it would when you’ve been struck by lightning.’
‘I – what?’ Had Miranda heard wrong? Did he just say struck by lightning?
‘Mr Malfoy found you in the middle of the road,’ the soft voice told her, waving his hand at the boy standing next to him. Miranda recognised him immediately.
‘You,’ she almost whispered. ‘You’ve been following me. You were in the super market before and outside my window as well. And you were at the race last week! I raced you!’ The race in question was not Miranda’s first. Her and her sister had been part of a street racing team for two years. Street racing is not like normal racing. The stakes are higher, the crowds are bigger and the cars are a lot faster.
‘Pink and black Subaru, I remember,’ the boy nodded. ‘You drive well.’ Miranda shrugged.
‘Where am I?’ Miranda asked, looking around the large room.
‘You are at Hogwarts,’ the old man replied.
‘Hog – who’s, sorry?’
‘Hogwarts, Miss Sparrow. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am the headmaster here, Professor Albus Dumbledore. This is the school matron, Madam Pomfrey and Draco Malfoy, a seventh year here,’ the old man told her.
‘And how do you know me?’ Miranda’s eyes were trained on Professor Dumbledore.
‘Draco found this on you.’ He held up Miranda’s driver’s licence.
‘I bet he knew who I was well before that,’ Miranda scoffed.
‘True. I did. I've been following you for a while actually,’ Draco said
‘Why have you been following me? What is this, like a witness protection program or something?’ Miranda was becoming annoyed.
‘Madam Pomfrey, will you give us a moment please?’ Professor Dumbledore said kindly to the matron.
‘I really must see to her wounds, Professor,’ she protested.
‘I assure you, it will only take a moment.’ The matron nodded and left. Dumbledore turned back to Miranda.
‘Can someone please tell me what’s going on?’ Miranda said, exasperated.
‘Certainly. I have asked Mr Malfoy to follow you for the last few weeks because I believe you could be of some assistance to us. You see, it was written many years ago, that a girl who could aid our fight against Voldemort would not be one of our own. That she would be a muggle until such time as her powers were…how you could say jumpstarted. It seams the bolt of lightning that hit you did just that.’ Dumbledore said this very slowly and clearly and all Miranda could do was listen to what he had to say.
‘What do you mean by muggle and what powers are you talking about?’ she asked when he finished.
‘Muggles are people with no magical abilities. The power Professor Dumbledore is talking about is – well – powerful. You’re a witch,’ Draco answered. Miranda’s mouth fell open. A what?
‘Come again?’
‘You are a witch, Miss Sparrow - ’
‘Call me Miranda.’
‘Miranda. A very powerful one I would suspect. Which is why I asked Draco to bring you to me,’ Dumbledore said, his voice unnaturally soft and calm.
‘And what are you going to do? Squish it out of me?’ Miranda asked sardonically. Dumbledore chuckled. What’s he laughing at?
‘No. Quite the contrary actually. You see, the magical world is at war and I believe you can help the light side in a great way.’
‘War? Well why don’t you just…blow the other side up or something?’ Miranda said eyebrows raised.
‘A magical war is somewhat different from a non-magical war, Miranda. In a muggle war, you use guns and bombs. In magical war, we use spells and hexes. In my opinion, our way is much better and more accurate,’ Dumbledore explained.
‘So what makes you think I can help you? How do you know you’ve got the right girl? There’s this girl at my school, she’s totally into witchcraft and stuff like that. Maybe you need her,’ Miranda said. Dumbledore was looking at her, as if searching her mind.
‘There’s no need to be afraid of power, Miranda,’ he said softly.
‘I’m not afraid!’ Miranda replied indignantly. ‘I just don’t see how I can be a witch. It’s impossible.’ Dumbledore seemed to be arguing with himself in his mind. Finally, he looked up.
‘If you will, Miranda, hold up your hand, palm open towards that pillow,’ he pointed towards the bed opposite Miranda, ‘and concentrate on calling it to you.’ Miranda did as she was told. She opened her hand and held it in a “stop” gesture towards the pillow. C’mon, come here. Come on you stupid pillow! She thought, concentrating as hard as she could. Before she knew it, the pillow was zooming at her head and hit her in the face.
‘Thank God you have soft pillows,’ she said, her voice muffled. The pillow fell to the floor.
‘Do you believe us now?’ Draco said, picking up the pillow and putting at the end of Miranda’s bed. Miranda sat up in her bed and looked at Dumbledore and Draco.
‘Okay, so I’m a witch. Now what?’ she asked.
‘You need to be trained. Not only in wandless magic, but also normal magic and potions and a few other things I’d like to throw in,’ Dumbledore said, walking to the other side of Miranda’s bed.
‘What do you mean “Wandless magic”?’ Miranda asked.
‘Magic without a wand. In short sorcery,’ Draco told her.
‘So normal magic would be…?’ Miranda prompted.
‘Magic with a wand. Which is what is taught here,’ Dumbledore replied. ‘And potions is exactly what is implies.’
‘So who is going to teach me all of this? And where do I get a wand?’ Miranda asked. This whole theory was beginning to make a little more sense. Just a little.
‘Draco will be teaching some of the easier spells, enchantments, et cetera. I, on the other hand, will be teaching you sorcery. There are few people who will be told about you real reasons for being here. All of whom you will meet tomorrow,’ Dumbledore said. Miranda nodded.
‘And a wand?’
‘I’ll take you to Diagon Alley in the morning and you can get one there,’ Draco said, sounding very proud of himself indeed.
‘Okay. Uh, what time is it?’ Miranda asked. The sun was now beginning to rise and filter sunlight through the windows.
‘It is almost five thirty in the morning,’ Dumbledore tole her.
‘Are you finished, Professor? May I tend to my patient now?’ Madam Pomfrey was back, her wand out.
‘Certainly, Poppy. Would you mind terribly if Mr Malfoy remained to look after Miss Sparrow?’ Dumbledore asked.
‘It’s really up to the patient,’ Madam Pomfrey replied.
‘Miranda?’ Dumbledore looked down at her.
‘He can stay if he wants to.’ Miranda shrugged.
‘Very well, thank you, Professor,’ Madame Pomfrey said briskly and Dumbledore left the hospital. ‘Welcome to Hogwarts, Miss Sparrow.’ Madam Pomfrey smiled.
‘Thank you. Call me Miranda please,’ Miranda replied.
‘Right. Now. Lets see about these injuries, shall we? Lay back, Miranda, there’s a good girl.’ Miranda laid back and Madam Pomfrey looked over her. ‘If you don’t mind, please lift your shirt,’ Miranda did as she was told and Madam Pomfrey gasped.
‘What? What’s wrong?’ Draco asked looking down at Miranda’s naked torso. ‘Oh.’
‘My goodness,’ Madam Pomfrey muttered.
‘Are you going to tell me?’ Miranda asked irritably.
‘This mark. I expect the lightning has left it. I've never seen anything like it, well, I have but on a much smaller scale and for different reasons of course,’ Madam Pomfrey said.
‘Can I see it?’ Miranda said trying to sit up.
‘Stay right where you are,’ Madam Pomfrey said pushing her back down. She waved her wand and a mirror appeared out of nowhere. She handed it to Miranda; who held it over her stomach.
‘Shit,’ Miranda murmured. There was a rather large lightning bolt mark beginning somewhere under her shirt and ending just below her belly button. It was an angry red colour and while it looked very painful, it didn’t hurt a bit. Miranda handed the mirror back to Madam Pomfrey.
‘Does it hurt?’ Draco asked softly.
‘You know, actually it doesn’t. I can’t feel a thing. Except my head hurts,’ Miranda replied.
‘I’ll still have to run a few quick tests, just to make sure you’re not internally injured,’ Madam Pomfrey told her. Miranda nodded and lay back on the pillows again.

Madam Pomfrey didn’t finish with the “quick” tests until an hour later. As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with Miranda’s health and her head was only sore because she’d hit it on the ground when she fell. Once Madam Pomfrey announced this, she told Miranda to go to sleep, which she did with out argument.
Miranda woke four hours later feeling a lot better, but still a little sleepy. Hogwarts was buzzing with the noise of a Saturday morning and by the sound of it, there were quite a substantial number of students attending. Through the windows, Miranda could see a bright blue sky and the top of a mass of trees.
‘Good morning,’ Draco said. By the look of it, he hadn’t gone to where ever he sleeps usually all night.
‘Were you here all night?’ Miranda asked. Draco rubbed his eyes sleepily and nodded.
‘Dumbledore told me to watch over you,’ he yawned.
‘I’m sure I would have been fine. You need to sleep too you know,’ Miranda told him.
‘I did, kind of. Anyway, Dumbledore wanted me to take you to his office to meet everyone else.’ Draco shrugged. ‘Is she okay to go, Madam Pomfrey?’ Draco asked as the matron came over to Miranda’s bedside.
‘Well yes, but she’ll need some clothes. I doubt she’d want to walk around the school in her pyjamas,’ Madam Pomfrey replied. Draco bent down and took a pair of pants and a grey jumper out of a bag by his feet and put them on the bed.
‘They’re mine. They’ll probably be a little big for you, but it’s better than walking around naked, right?’ Draco smiled.
‘Thanks,’ Miranda said sitting up.
‘Mr Malfoy, please excuse yourself while Miranda gets changed,’ Madam Pomfrey said shortly.
‘Yes, ma’am.’ Draco nodded and stepped through the door that obviously led out of the hospital. Miranda got out of bed and began to dress. Luckily she still had her underwear on, as it would have caused quite a bit of trouble – no to mention embarrassment - if she didn’t. She pulled Draco’s jumper over her head and flicked her hair out of the collar. Draco was right. The pants and jumper were too big for her. Miranda was short, no more than five foot two and she was rather skinny for her age. Draco was apparently very tall (Miranda had guessed almost six foot) and looked very well built indeed. The sleaves of the jumper covered her hands and it hung almost to her knees. The pants only just sat on her hips but the legs bunched up at the bottom something awful. She found her trainers and pulled them on and opened the door and stepped out of the hospital looking around for Draco. She spotted him talking to a girl with blonde hair and a face that rather resembled a pug dog. Quietly, Miranda made her way over to them (she’d folded up the bottoms of the pants so she didn’t trip up), and cleared her throat.
‘Who are you?’ the girl asked. Miranda looked down at the floor and tucked her hair behind her ear, not knowing how to respond. Draco turned around and looked as though he was about to laugh.
‘Pansy, this is Miranda Sparrow. She’s my, uh, cousin. O-on Mother’s side,’ Draco said hastily. Pansy looked Miranda up and down in disgust.
‘Why is she wearing your clothes?’ Pansy asked accusingly.
‘Uh b-because, um,’ Draco stuttered.
‘Because I came in last night and didn’t have any of my own; I kind of left home in a hurry,’ Miranda lied.
‘And what’s that?’ Pansy pointed to Miranda’s chest. Miranda looked down and saw the top of the lightning bolt mark protruding from the top of the jumper. Damn v-neck’s Miranda thought savagely.
‘It’s a scar. I fell off a…’ she looked out the window and saw a few students walking across the grass with broomsticks over their shoulders. ‘Broomstick. I fell off a broomstick.’
‘Do you play?’ Pansy asked. Play what?
‘Sure I do.’ Miranda nodded.
‘What position?’ Pansy said crossing her arms.
‘Miranda is a Seeker, Pansy. I thought I told you about her. No? Oh well, we have to go. See you later.’ Draco grabbed Miranda’s arm and dragged her away from Pansy.
‘Who was that?’ Miranda asked as they climbed a flight of stairs.
‘Pansy Parkinson she’s convinced I’m her boyfriend,’ Draco said shuddering slightly.
‘What’s a Seeker?’ Miranda said looking back at Pansy.
‘I’ll explain later,’ Draco said. ‘You look like a midget in my clothes, you know.’ He began to laugh.
‘That’s my fault is it?’ Miranda said punching his arm.
‘Ouch. No, but you just look funny, that’s all. I've never seen my clothes on a girl before,’ Draco admitted.
‘Really?’ Miranda raised her eyebrows.
‘I swear. They usually have their own.’ He grinned. They stopped in front of a big stone gargoyle.
‘Sugar Quill,’ Draco said. Sugar what? The gargoyle sprang to life and jumped out of the way. The wall behind it slid apart to reveal a moving spiral staircase. Miranda and Draco stepped onto it and waited until it stopped in front of a large wooden door with a brass griffin on it. Draco opened the door and ushered Miranda in.
‘Good morning, Miranda.’ Dumbledore smiled.
‘Good morning, Professor Dumbledore,’ Miranda replied.
‘I trust you slept well?’ Dumbledore asked. Miranda wasn’t paying attention. She was looking around the office at all the people assembled there. Sitting on a couch near the fireplace were three teenagers about Draco’s age. A girl with bushy brown hair and brown eyes was sitting on the couch between a boy with glasses and messy back hair and another boy with bright red hair and lots of freckles. Standing behind Dumbledore’s desk was obviously a teacher. He had greasy black hair and didn’t look very thrilled to be there. There was also an old, strict looking woman with her hair pulled into a tight bun. They were all looking at Miranda expectantly.
‘Miranda?’ Dumbledore said, startling her.
‘What? Oh, yes. I slept fine, thank you.’ Miranda smiled.
‘Well, on to business.’ Dumbledore stood up. ‘Everyone, this is Miranda Sparrow, she’s here to held aid the Light Side in our fight against Lord Voldemort.’ A shudder ran around the room as if Dumbledore had said something wrong. Dumbledore continued, ‘Miranda, this is Ronald Weasley - ’
‘Call me Ron,’ the red haired boy said nodding.
‘Hermione Granger - ’
‘Nice to meet you.’ The girl smiled.
‘ - And Harry Potter.’ The black haired boy nodded in Miranda’s direction.
‘Harry is the most important part of our fight against the Dark Side and you’ll be working closely with him,’ Dumbledore told Miranda who just nodded. ‘This is our Potions Master, Professor Severus Snape.’ Dumbledore gestured towards the greasy haired man. ‘And the deputy headmistress and transfiguration professor; Minerva McGonagall.’ The old woman nodded shortly. ‘You will be working with these people, Mr Malfoy and myself.’
‘If I might, Headmaster,’ Snape said. ‘What use to us is the girl?’
‘Miranda is the second most important and powerful person in our fight Severus. The other, of course, being Harry. Of course she’ll need to learn everything from first year onwards as quickly as possible. I expect everyone to help her and aid her if she needs it,’ Dumbledore told everyone. ‘Miss Granger,’ Dumbledore said to the girl on the couch.
‘Yes, Professor?’ Hermione replied.
‘I would like you and Mr Malfoy to help Miranda learn all the basic charms and spells, please. Once she can perform them, I would like you to help her with the more complex ones,’ Dumbledore said sternly, leaving Hermione no room to object.
‘Yes, sir.’ Hermione nodded.
‘Mr Weasley, if you would, train Miranda in one on one combat?’ Dumbledore said to Ron.
‘Dueling, sir? Ron asked. Dumbledore shook his head.
‘Martial Arts, Mr Weasley. You’re mother informed me you’ve been taking lessons in the summer holidays.’
‘Oh. O-of course, sir,’ Ron nodded.
‘What would you like me to do, Headmaster?’ Snape asked, stepping around the desk.
‘You will teach her Occlumency. Miranda and Harry will begin lessons at once and I expect both of you to apply your selves. I would also like you to teach her the basics of Potions as well, ’ Dumbledore said. Miranda and Harry nodded mutely. What on earth is Occlu-whatsit? Miranda asked her self.
‘Harry and Miranda will be taking lessons with me on Sorcery,’ Dumbledore told the group. ‘Everyone here is to keep Miranda’s reasons for being here a secret from the rest of the student body.’
‘Professor?’ Draco said. Miranda jumped slightly, forgetting he was there. ‘I've already told Pansy Parkinson Miranda’s my cousin.’
‘Well that’s that then,’ Ron scoffed. ‘The whole school will know by lunch time.’
‘Ron, that wasn’t very nice. Very true, but not very nice,’ Hermione said.
‘Professor Dumbledore,’ Harry said quietly but seriously. He struck Miranda as the strong, silent, dark and brooding, type.
‘Yes Harry?’
‘When is all this going to start? It’s just the Quidditch season starts soon and Ron and I’ll have practise,’ Harry said. Next to him, Ron was nodding.
‘The lesson for you and Miss Sparrow will begin on Monday evening at eight o’clock, right here,’ Dumbledore said.
‘Headmaster, what house will Miss Sparrow be studying under?’ Snape asked.
‘I’m not sure,’ Dumbledore said looking at Miranda. ‘Do you have a preference, Miranda?’
‘I’d rather study in a house instead of under it,’ Miranda replied.
‘Here at Hogwarts, Miss Sparrow, there are four different houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. They’re like teams, I suppose. Each student is sorted into a house in their first year and remain in that house until they graduate seven years later,’ Dumbledore explained.
‘Oh. Sorry.’ Miranda felt her face redden with embarrassment.
‘So which house would you like to be in. We wont bother sorting you, it takes to much time,’ Dumbledore asked. Miranda looked down at Draco’s jumper. On the left side there was a small crest with a snake on it. It said “Slytherin” underneath.
‘Slytherin?’ Miranda replied.
‘Good choice,’ Snape said. Ron’s mouth dropped open.
‘Very well, Miss Sparrow. Draco will show you to your common room and give you a tour of the castle,’ Dumbledore said. Miranda nodded and followed Draco out of the office and back down the staircase.
‘You nervous?’ Draco asked, as they began making their way down several flights of stairs.
‘Nervous? Are you kidding? I’m petrified,’ Miranda replied. Draco chuckled slightly. ‘So what’s with Harry? He hardly said boo,’ Miranda asked. She and Draco entered a huge lobby type room and headed off down another staircase.
‘Potter’s been like that ever since his godfather was murdered two years ago. He used to be a real smart arse, but he’s not anymore,’ Draco explained.
‘That’s really sad,’ Miranda said.
‘Yeah. We used to absolutely hate each other as well. We got into a fight one time and he got banned from Quidditch,’ Draco explained.
‘Used to? As in you don’t hate each other anymore?’
‘Nah. We got over it. Decided we’re both on the same side, so why fight?’ Draco shrugged.
‘Fair enough,’ Miranda said. ‘Uh, where are we?’
‘In the dungeons. It’s where the Slytherin common room is. The other house’s common rooms are in towers, but not ours.’ They stopped in front of another stone wall. ‘Salazar,’ Draco said to the wall and it melted into a doorway. Miranda followed him in side. The room was enormous. It was decorated in dark green and silver and looked very much like the dwelling of someone very evil. ‘This is the Slytherin common room. Your new home.’ Draco waved his hand around the room.
‘Home? Home! Aden!’ Miranda shrieked.
‘What? Who’s Aden?’ Draco asked.
‘She’s my sister. She’ll go nuts when she finds out I’m not there!’ Miranda said frantically. ‘Where’s your phone?’
‘What’s a phone? Look, I've already sent a letter to your sister. She knows everything. Don’t worry,’ Draco said calmly.
‘Thank God,’ Miranda muttered and sat down on one of the many black leather couches
‘Crap,’ Draco muttered. Miranda looked up at him.
‘What’s wrong?’
‘I forgot to ask Dumbledore where you’re to sleep. Surely he wouldn’t put you in with the other girls,’ Draco said, looking behind him at a bunch of girls, including Pansy.
‘That creates a problem,’ Miranda said watching the girls look at her and talk and giggle amongst themselves. Draco walked over to the fire and threw some dirt into it.
‘Professor Dumbledore?’ he asked the fire. Dumbledore’s head appeared in the dancing flames. Miranda covered her mouth and squeaked in surprise.
‘Yes, Draco?’ Dumbledore’s head asked inquisitively.
‘Uh, I forgot to ask, where is Miranda to be sleeping?’ Draco asked.
‘I have organised a room for her. It is right at the top if the staircase in between the dormitories,’ Dumbledore’s head replied. ‘I hope Miranda will find it quite sufficient. I've taken the liberty of having some of her things brought in.’
‘Very well, sir,’ Draco nodded.
‘Oh, one more thing, Draco,’ Dumbledore said. ‘When you take Miranda to Diagon Alley make sure she gets some school robes and a uniform. I doubt she enjoys wearing yours.’
‘Certainly, sir,’ Draco nodded again and Dumbledore’s head disappeared.
‘What the hell was that?’ Miranda asked, uncovering her mouth.
‘All the fires in the school are connected to the Floo Network. It means we can travel around the school and talk to others without actually making any effort,’ Draco explained. ‘You can also travel to a different location, outside the school I mean.’
‘Okay. That’s just a little weird,’ Miranda nodded, looking at the fire. ‘Would that have hurt him? I mead, sticking his head in the fire and all?’
‘No. It actually tickles,’ Draco chuckled.
‘Drakie?’ Pansy bounced up next to Draco and put her arms around his neck.
‘What do you want, Pansy?’ Draco asked irritably, prying her away from him.
‘Why are you going to Diagon Alley?’ Pansy asked in a singsong voice.
‘That’s none of your business,’ Draco replied harshly. Pansy pouted.
‘But, Draco, what if I want to come with you?’
‘Well you’re not,’ Draco said.
‘Why not?’ Pansy put he hands on her hips and looked up at him.
‘Because I don’t like you and it’s private,’ Draco said through gritted teeth.
‘What do you mean you don’t like me?’ Pansy frowned apparently trying to look cute, but failing miserably.
‘I mean I don’t like you. I never have. I’m not your boyfriend, get over it,’ Draco replied. ‘C’mon, Miranda, I’ll show you to your room.’ Draco gestured for Miranda to follow him so she stood up and made to walk past Pansy but Pansy grabbed hold of the back of Miranda’s jumper.
‘And I suppose she thinks she’s your girlfriend, does she?’ Pansy said nastily, jerking her head towards Miranda. Pansy was a few inches taller than Miranda and had quite a strong grip, making it hard for Miranda to pull away.
‘Let me go,’ Miranda ordered.
‘No.’ Pansy scoffed. Draco turned back and walked towards Pansy with anger and loathing flashing in his grey-blue eyes.
‘Let her go, Parkinson,’ he demanded.
‘Is she your girlfriend?’ Pansy asked.
‘She’s my cousin,’ Draco lied – albeit, very convincingly. ‘Now – let – her – go.’ Draco took Pansy’s arm in one hand and Miranda’s (or rather his) jumper in the other and jerked them apart roughly.
‘You bruised my arm!’ Pansy shrieked, looking at her pale forearm, now clearly marked with Draco’s fingerprints.
‘Good. You touch her again and I’ll break it,’ Draco threatened. He took Miranda’s hand and led her up the middle staircase of three on the opposite wall.
‘Thank you,’ Miranda said quietly while they made their way up the stairs. ‘I think you really hurt her though.’
‘So what? She just doesn’t get that I can’t stand her. Accusing you of being my girlfriend just pushed me over the edge,’ Draco replied. They came to the last landing of the staircase and found them selves facing a portrait of a Sphinx.
‘Are you the girl that’ll be staying here?’ the Sphinx asked, eyeing Miranda.
‘Yes she is,’ Draco said. The Sphinx turned its blue eyes on him.
‘Let the girl answer for her self. Will you be staying here?’ it asked again, turning back to Miranda.
‘Y-yes. I will,’ Miranda nodded.
‘I am Ehlana. I will guard your sleeping quarters. Please set your password,’ the Sphinx said kindly.
‘Password?’ Miranda repeated.
‘A lot of the rooms in Hogwarts have passwords guarding their entrances,’ Draco explained. ‘If Dumbledore thinks your’s needs a password, I wouldn’t question it.’
‘Oh, okay,’ Miranda thought for a moment of a word she could use. ‘I want my password to be Bump. It’s my cat’s name,’ Miranda decided.
‘And you want this boy to be able to gain entry to your rooms?’ Ehlana nodded at Draco.
‘Yes. You’ll only let someone in who knows the password though, right?’ Miranda asked.
‘Of course, child,’ Ehlana nodded again. ‘If they don’t know the password, they’ll not gain entry.’
‘Thank you,’ Miranda nodded. ‘Do you mind if we go in now?’
‘Password?’ Ehlana asked.
‘Bump,’ Miranda replied. Ehlana’s portrait swung open and Miranda and Draco walked through the doorway behind it. There was a short passageway that was no longer that two metres, which opened up into a large apartment type, circular room. There was a king-size, wrought iron, four-poster bed with dark green, velvet hangings and a bedspread and pillows in the same colour in between two windows. On the opposite side there was an antique-style fireplace filled with dancing orange flames. Sitting in front of the fireplace were two green velvet-covered armchairs on either side of a dark polished oak coffee table. There was a dark oak door to the left of the fireplace with the word “Bath-Chamber” in loopy sliver writing. There were several bookshelves built in around the walls and a big oak desk against the wall. There was also a wardrobe near the bathroom door large enough for Miranda to not only stand in, but lie down in as well. At the foot of the bed, there was a small wicker basket with a purring black and white fur ball – affectionately known as Bump - curled up in side it.
‘This is amazing,’ Miranda said, looking around the room at a loss for words.
‘Dumbledore must think pretty highly of you. You must be the only student at Hogwarts who has her own common room,’ Draco agreed. Bump had woken up when Miranda spoke and was now weaving herself around Draco’s legs, meowing every now and then. Miranda walked over to the bathroom door and pushed it open. It seemed the entire room was made of black and grey marble, except the tap fittings and the showerhead, which were all shiny silver. There was a two-metre long vanity bench with a basin in it on the left with a mirror above it, which went from the wall where the door was to the wall at the end of the bench that hid the shower. Opposite the vanity bench was a silver towel rail with three dark green towels hanging on it. At the end of the towel rail, there was another oak door the loopy sliver writing reading “Lavatory”. The room was brightly lit, though there wasn’t a source for the light anywhere. There wasn’t even a window.
‘This must have cost a fortune,’ Miranda surmised.
‘I doubt it. It’s all conjured by magic,’ Draco told her.
‘Oh,’ Miranda closed the bathroom door behind Draco. ‘Will I be able to do that?’ she asked, looking at the different trinkets sitting on the mantelpiece. All very pretty silver ornaments.
‘Eventually I suppose,’ Draco shrugged, looking along the bookshelves. ‘Wow, most of these books are in the Restricted Section, students aren’t allowed to read them without specific permission,’ he gushed. Miranda went over to the bookshelf he was looking at.
‘I’m not technically a student though, am I?’ Miranda said reasonably.
‘I guess not,’ Draco closed the book he was looking at and put it back in its place. ‘Do you want to go to Diagon Alley now?’ he asked.
‘Sure. Uh, do you mind if I have a shower and change first?’ Miranda asked. ‘So you can have your clothes back I mean?’ Draco shrugged.
‘Don’t worry about my clothes. You can keep ‘em. I've got to many pairs of clothes as it is.’
‘Thanks,’ Miranda smiled. ‘I think I’ll have a shower and change anyway. You can wait here if you want,’ she offered, already beginning to feel at home.
‘Sure. I will. Take your time, we’ve got all day,’ Draco smiled. Miranda smiled back and went to the wardrobe and took out a denim mini-skirt and a white tank-top, then pulled open one of the draws set inside the wardrobe and took some clean underwear and went into the bathroom.

A/N~ Sorry this chapter took so long. I'll put the next one up straight away.
To Diagon Alley and Beyond by Belladonna Malfoy
Draco watched Miranda walk into the bathroom and close the door behind her. Bump – Miranda’s cat, was trying to climb up the leg of his pants.
‘That hurts you know?’ he told the cat, picking it off of his leg and holding it to his chest. Draco continued to look along the rows and rows of books Dumbledore had put in Miranda’s room and was constantly surprised. Some of the books Draco knew were in the Restricted Section and others he’d never even heard of before. He picked out a book about the Unforgivables and sat down on one of the armchairs to read it. Bump curled up in his lap and began to purr loudly. The book was quite interesting and Draco didn’t notice Miranda had come out of the bathroom until Bump stood up and meowed at her.
‘You like to read?’ Mirada asked. She was wearing a blue denim mini-skirt that came about three inches above her knees and a white tank-top with “Jail Bird” scrawled across it in untidy black writing she had her trainers on but Draco couldn’t see her socks. Her hair was still damp and Draco only noticed then how long it actually was. It hung three-quarters of the way down her back and was slightly wavy.
‘Sometimes. It’s just some of the books here I’d need permission to read any other time,’ Draco closed the book and stood up.
‘You don’t know where I could find a hairdryer do you?’ Miranda asked. ‘I hate it when my hair makes my clothes all wet.’
‘A what?’ Draco asked.
‘A hairdryer? You plug it into the wall and it blows hot air out?’ Miranda replied.
‘Oh, you wont find one of them here. Electrical things don’t work in Hogwarts because there’s so much magic, it disturbs the electrical currant,’ Draco told her.
‘Great,’ Miranda sighed.
‘I can use a drying charm to dry your hair if you want?’ Draco offered.
‘Thanks,’ Miranda smiled. Draco touched his wand to the top of Miranda’s hair and a wave of heat dried it instantly, leaving it shiny and soft looking.
‘You ready then?’ Draco asked. Miranda nodded and followed him out of the room and down into the common room.
‘Hey, Draco!’ Blaise called from the couch near the fire. Draco walked over to say hello to his friend, Miranda not far behind.
‘Hi, Blaise. How was detention?’ Draco asked. Blaise had gotten a detention the night before for turning a Hufflepuff first-year’s hair green.
‘Awful,’ Blaise grunted. ‘Who’s your friend? I haven’t seen her around before.’ He nodded his head in Miranda direction.
‘Oh, this is Miranda Sparrow. My cousin from my mother’s side of the family,’ Draco said.
‘I didn’t think Bella had kids,’ Blaise said thoughtfully.
‘Second cousin, really,’ Miranda lied.
‘Yeah. Second cousin, few times removed. You know what my family’s like,’ Draco said, shrugging it off.
‘Nice to meet you, Miranda,’ Blaise stood up and held out his hand. ‘I’m Blaise Zabini.’ Miranda smiled and shook Blaise’s hand.
‘Nice to meet you too,’ she said quietly.
‘So how long are you here for?’ Blaise asked. Draco was becoming impatient, he and Miranda had places to go and things to do and Blaise was making small talk.
‘I’m not too sure actually,’ Miranda replied uncertainly. ‘I’ll probably see you round, though.’
‘Look, we’ve got to go. See you later, Blaise,’ Draco interrupted.
‘Yeah, bye,’ Miranda waved and she and Draco made their way out of the common room and up into the Entrance Hall. ‘He was nice,’ Miranda said suddenly.
‘Blaise is always nice to the girls,’ Draco replied. ‘Particularly the good-looking ones,’ he added as an after thought. They were just about to step onto the marble staircase when Peeves appeared out of thin air. He looked at Draco and squirted water in his face then turned to Miranda and was about to do the same to her but suddenly, his face turned serious – well as serous as Peeves’s face can get – and he bowed.
‘Good morning, my lady,’ he said politely, taking off his hat to her.
‘Good morning,’ Miranda smiled with a nervous sideways glance at Draco.
‘Forgive old Peevsie for his childish acts,’ Peeves said.
‘Why aren’t you like this to anyone else?’ Draco asked Peeves squirted him with water again.
‘Hey! Stop that, it’s not nice,’ Miranda said.
‘Forgive me, Miss,’ Peeves bowed again.
‘Okay, okay. Just stop squirting water,’ Miranda said. Peeves gave her one last apologetic look and speed off up wards. ‘Who was that?’ Miranda asked as she and Draco resumed their journey to Dumbledore’s office where they would Floo to Diagon Alley.
‘That was Peeves the Poltergeist. He’s an absolute menace. Usually he doesn’t obey any student, usually only the Bloody Barron – the Slytherin house ghost – can control him,’ Draco told her. Miranda didn’t reply and they continued until they reached Dumbledore’s office. Professor McGonagall was just stepping off the stone staircase when the arrived.
‘Is Professor Dumbledore in his office, Miss?’ Draco asked.
‘Yes,’ McGonagall nodded. Draco and Miranda stepped onto the staircase and waited until it stopped. Draco knocked on the oak door and on Dumbledore’s consent, entered with Miranda.
‘Hello, Draco, Miranda,’ Dumbledore nodded to each of them. ‘How did you find your room, Miranda?’
‘It beautiful, Professor, thank you very much,’ Miranda smiled.
‘I’m glad you like it. Now,’ he was speaking to Draco, ‘when you reach Diagon Alley, you’ll need to go to Gringotts - here is the vault number - ’ he handed Draco a piece of parchment, ‘Miranda will need a wand, Slytherin robes, and anything else you believe she’ll need.’ Dumbledore said very formally.
‘Yes, sir,’ Draco nodded.
‘You will be going to the Alley by Floo Powder, Miranda. All you need to do is throw a pinch of the powder into the fire, saying very clearly were you’d like to end up and step into it,’ Dumbledore explained. ‘Draco, you go first so she can see what I mean.’ Dumbledore handed Draco a pot of Floo Powder. Draco took some of the Powder and threw it into the fire yelling ‘Diagon Alley!’ the flames turned green and Draco stepped in. Seconds later, he fell out of the fireplace in Flourish and Blots. He picked himself up off the floor and dusted the soot off of him and waited for Miranda to come through. He didn’t have to wait long. Miranda fell out of the fire right into Draco’s arms with a high-pitched scream.
‘You made it,’ Draco chuckled, dusting the soot off of her face.
‘I never want to do that again,’ Miranda vowed.
‘Where do you want to start?’ Draco asked her, wiping soot from her shoulder now.
‘I don’t know,’ Miranda said, dusting off her skirt and flicking her hair out of her face. ‘Nothing to do with fires.’
‘Okay,’ Draco chuckled again. ‘Here, let me.’ He pointed his wand at her and performed a cleaning charm on her and then on himself. ‘ After we get your money from Gringotts, how about we start with robes?’
‘Clothes shopping? Sounds good to me.’ Miranda nodded as they walked out of Flourish and Blots.
‘Madam Malkin’s it is then,’ Draco said and led her down the road to the towering bank. The Goblins inside the bank eyed Miranda warily as they passed. Draco cleared his throat once they reached a counter and a long nosed Goblin looked at him.
‘Yes?’ it said sharply.
‘Professor Dumbledore told me you have a vault set up for Miranda Sparrow?’ Draco inquired.
‘Do you have the vault number?’ the Goblin asked. Draco handed him he parchment. ‘Very well. Follow me.’ The Goblin walked to a door off the side of the bank and Draco had to grab Miranda’s hand and drag her with him. They climbed into a cart and began to speed down to where all the vaults were.
‘Oh my God! I’m going to be sick!’ Miranda screamed. Draco put his arm around her.
‘Just don’t think about it,’ he said into her ear.
‘How can I not?’ she said back.
‘Think of something else,’ Draco told her. Not long after, the cart screeched to a halt and Draco stepped out and helped Miranda out. Draco chuckled as she tried to stand on her own.
‘I don’t think I like those things,’ she muttered.
‘Vault four hundred and two,’ the Goblin said. He pulled a key out of his pocket and unlocked the door.
‘Grab some gold and lets get out of here,’ Draco told Miranda. She nodded stepped into the vault, filled a leather pouch with some of the gold that filled her vault and returned to Draco’s side, still stumbling slightly.
‘Your key, Miss.’ The Goblin held Miranda’s key out to her and she put it in her pocket. They got back into the cart and sped back up to ground level. Draco led Miranda out into Diagon Alley and down the street to Madam Malkin’s Robes For All Occasions.
‘Young, Master Malfoy,’ the old dressmaker said. ‘How can I help you and your lady friend?’ she asked.
‘We need some school robes,’ Draco told her.
‘New student dear?’ Madam Malkin asked Miranda.
‘Yes,’ Miranda smiled.
‘What house?’ Madame Malkin said, walking over to a rack of Hogwarts school robes.
‘Slytherin,’ Miranda replied.
‘Step up here, love. We need to fit these.’ Miranda stepped up onto a small stool and Madam Malkin draped the uniform over her. It fell straight to the floor. Draco covered his mouth to hide his chuckle. ‘You are a short one aren’t you?’
‘Yes. I take after my mother.’ Miranda laughed slightly, glaring at Draco.
‘Why are you just starting at Hogwarts now? If you don’t mind my asking.’ Madam Malkin was waving her want here and there, fitting the robes.
‘I just arrived last night actually. I’m a cousin of Draco’s and I left my old school in a bit of a hurry,’ Miranda lied. Their story was beginning to feel more and more like the truth every time they told it. That’s not a good thing, Draco thought. I can’t date my cousins.
‘You don’t look much a like,’ Madam Malkin observed.
‘My mother’s side of the family don’t really look anything like my father’s. Everyone has brown hair,’ Draco said convincingly. That at least was the truth. Everyone on his mother’s side of the family did have brown hair. If anyone was smart enough to figure it out, they could almost say that Miranda was Sirius or Regulus’s daughter.
‘You’re all done, love,’ Madam Malkin said, taking the robe off of Miranda and adjusting a few others to the same size. ‘That’ll be seventeen galleons and thirteen sickles.’ Miranda leaned towards Draco.
‘What?’ she asked quietly.
‘Just give her eighteen of the gold ones,’ Draco said. He waited for Miranda to pay for her uniform and the set off to Ollivander’s for a wand.

‘Students? This time of year?’ Mr Ollivander asked, stepping around the counter.
‘Yes, sir,’ Miranda replied quietly.
‘Could we possibly hurry this along, Mr Ollivander? Miranda and I have quite a bit to get through today,’ Draco asked as politely as possible.
‘Certainly, Mr Malfoy. But I can’t guarantee a time limit. The wand chooses the wizard after all.’ Mr Ollivander inclined his head slightly.
‘I know, I know. Can we just find her a wand?’ Draco sighed. Some people have no concern for time these days Draco thought. He watched as Mr Ollivander set his magical tape measure to work in Miranda. Finally it finished and the old man hurried around looking for wands of different lengths and such. After five or so minutes, Mr Ollivander handed Miranda an eleven and a half inch oak wand with a unicorn centre.
‘Very good for the rather complex charms. Oak and unicorn hair is a particularly specific combination. Often if another witch or wizard tried to use it, it won’t function properly,’ Mr Ollivander explained.
‘I’ll try to keep that in mind, sir,’ Miranda said. She paid for her wand and followed Draco outside.
‘Where to now?’ Draco asked, looking up and down the street.
‘What else do you think I’ll need?’ Miranda asked.
‘Well, you have robes, so you’ll blend in. You’ve got your wand – you need that for the charms and stuff. What else are you learning? Potions, so you’ll need a cauldron and a set of scales and supplies. We’ll do that now. Follow me.’ Draco led Miranda to the Potions supply store and purchased everything she’d need for Potions. They headed out the door.
‘What now? I don’t really think I need anything else do I?’ Miranda asked. Draco thought for a moment.
‘I don’t suppose so. I guess quills and parchment would come in handy.’ So that’s where they went next. Once everything was bought, they went to Florien Fortescues Ice-Cream Parlour to rest for a bit.
‘So, all this stuff that I’m learning, is it hard?’ Miranda asked, pushing her empty glass aside.
‘In the beginning I guess. But it gets easier once you know what you’re doing and you’ve accepted it,’ Draco replied.
‘I’m just afraid I’ll mess everything up, that’s all. I mean, the whole world’s like in the palm of my hand isn’t it?’
‘Not really. When push comes to shove, it’s really Harry that has to defeat Voldemort. Both of you actually. And you’ve got as much help as you can have. You’re just nervous, that’s all,’ Draco reassured her.
‘I guess. Shouldn’t we be getting back? You still haven’t shown me around the school yet,’ Miranda said standing up. Draco stood up as well and they made their way out of the store. They Flooed back to the school from Florish and Blots with Miranda’s shopping and a few things Draco picked up along the way.

*^*

Once again, Miranda toppled out of the fireplace and lost her balance completely.
‘They really need to install and underground or something,’ she mumbled picking her self off the floor and wiping the dust from the face.
‘I've suggested that a number of times, unfortunately though, the minister wouldn’t hear of it,’ Dumbledore’s voice spoke from behind his desk. Miranda froze mid swipe and looked up at him.
‘I didn’t see you there, Prof – oof!’ Draco stumbled out of the fireplace at that moment and he and Miranda ended up a tangle of arms and legs on the flor of Dumbledore’s office.
‘I think we need to install a warning system, Professor,’ Draco suggested.
‘I believe we do,’ Dumbledore chuckled. Draco and Miranda untangled them selves and stood up. ‘Did you find everything you needed?’
‘Yes, sir. We had a bit of trouble with my wand, but apparently, wands are very picky about their owners,’ Miranda smiled.
‘That they are, dear girl. I remember it took me over an hour to find a wand. My father became most irritable.’ Dumbledore smiled reminiscently. ‘However, you have everything you’ll need to begin your lessons on Monday and dinner will be at six o’clock this evening, I hope to see you there.’ Miranda and Draco excused them selves and made their way back down to the Entrance Hall.
‘How was your shopping?’ Hermione asked. She Harry and Ron had just came from the great Hall.
‘Good. We got everything Miranda would need for her lessons,’ Draco replied.
‘Tell me, Malfoy, do you ever let anyone answer for themselves?’ Ron asked.
‘Excuse me, Weas -’
‘Give it a rest you two,’ Harry mumbled. ‘There’s no point in fighting.’
‘So how did you like Diagon Alley?’ Hermione asked.
‘It was beautiful. I love all the little shops, it was so cute,’ Miranda replied.
‘You should see Hogsmeade. It’s a village just outside the school and the only whole wizarding settlement in Britain.’ Hermione grinned.
‘Do you three want to come up to my room? It’s too big for me to sit up there by my self,’ Miranda asked.
‘Where is it?’ Ron asked, looking wearily at Draco.
‘In the Slytherin common room, why? Is something wrong?’ Miranda replied. Are they afraid to go down there or something? She thought.
‘It’s just…well we’re Gryffindors,’ Hermione said gently.
‘So?’ Miranda shrugged. ‘What’s the big deal?’
‘Gryffindors aren’t exactly welcome in the Slytherin common room,’ Hermione explained.
‘Well you’re not going to be in there are you? You’re going to be in my room,’ Miranda said. ‘C’mon. It’ll be fun and it’s Saturday, you’re supposed to have fun on Saturdays,’ she pleaded.
‘I don’t want -’ Ron began
‘We’ll go. C’mon,’ Harry interrupted. ‘Lead the way.’ He gestured to Miranda to lead them in the direction of the Slytherin common room. Miranda smiled and followed Draco down into the dungeons.
‘What are they doing in here?’ Pansy asked.
‘None of your business, Pansy,’ Ron snapped as they made their way through the common room and up the flight of stairs to Miranda’s room.
‘Password?’ Ehlana asked, looking at the group behind Miranda.
‘A sphinx!’ Hermione shrieked. ‘She’s beautiful!’
‘Thank you, dear,’ Ehlana smiled. ‘Password, Miranda?’
‘Bump,’ Miranda said and Ehlana swung her portrait forward and they all entered.
‘It’s huge!’ Ron observed, looking around.
‘Look at all the books! These are all in the restricted section!’ Hermione was eyeing the bookshelves with an unsettling amount of awe on her face.
‘Pretty cool isn’t it, Hermione?’ Draco asked looking over the books with her. Hermione looked around at Miranda.
‘Miranda, do you mind if I, um, borrow…?’ she let the sentence hang.
‘Go ahead.’ Miranda smiled. While Hermione and Draco were looking at the books and Ron was playing with Bump, Miranda noticed Harry was sitting in front of the fire by himself. Miranda went over to him.
‘Hey,’ she smiled at him. He looked up and smiled half heartedly back.
‘Hey.’ Miranda sat down next to him.
‘You don’t talk much do you?’ she asked. Harry shrugged.
‘Nothing much to talk about, I guess.’
‘Draco told me what happened to your Godfather. I’m sorry,’ Miranda said quietly.
‘You don’t have to be. It wasn’t your fault. Besides, I guess I should be used to it by now,’ Harry replied, leaning back in the couch and sighing.
‘What do you mean?’ Miranda was puzzled.
‘I mean…it’s just…oh never mind. You wouldn’t understand,’ Harry tried to answer.
‘Try me,’ Miranda challenged.
‘Ever since I was born, I've been surrounded by death. My parents were murdered when I was one, Ginny – Ron’s sister – almost died in my second year here, I witnessed one of my friends get murdered when I was fourteen and then when I was in my fifth year, Sirius got murdered by a Dearth Eater while I was watching. Last year there was a Death Eater attack in the suburb where I live and my Uncle got murdered.’ Harry sighed. ‘I guess I’m just a murder magnet.’ Miranda was shocked. This guy sitting beside her was only a year in her senior and had already seen more death than the streets of Brooklyn (Not that Miranda had ever been to Brooklyn, but she’d seen movies).
‘None of that’s your fault,’ Miranda assured him.
‘How do you know?’ Harry asked, giving her and icy stare.
‘Because you don’t strike me as the “Move out of my way before I kill you” type of person,’ Miranda said.
‘Well that’s my story,’ Harry said. ‘What’s yours?’
‘Yeah, tell us about you,’ Ron agreed.
‘Me? There’s not really anything interesting to tell. I live in the middle of London in an apartment block with my sister Aden. I go to a public school with bad cafeteria food. That’s about it,’ Miranda said looking around at the faces of her new friends.
‘And she street races,’ Draco added. ‘And chases strangers with torches.’
‘Yeah, that too,’ Miranda nodded. ‘You know more about me than you lead on don’t you?’
‘Not really,’ Draco shook his head.
‘What do you mean by street racing?’ Ron asked, prying Bump off his leg.
‘Street racing is like drag racing,’ Miranda began. ‘You get a car and spend a lot of money on it to make it go as fast as it can with out putting rocket launchers on it and you race other people who’ve done the same.’
‘What do you get if you win?’ Ron looked eager to know the details.
‘It depends,’ Miranda shrugged. ‘Money, respect, some guy even bet his car.’
‘What’s the point in racing for respect? I mean, you don’t get anything out of it,’ Harry said, joining the conversation.
‘You do get something out of it. When I started racing, I was like my sister’s sidekick I guess. One night I got really angry with her and stole her car and went to the nearest race. I turned up and everyone laughed at me,’ Miranda chuckled. ‘I got out of the car and – being in the state of mind I was in – I challenged anyone who wanted a go. I didn’t have any money on me so I set the stakes. I win, I get the respect I deserve, I loose and I leave and never come back,’ Miranda explained.
‘What happened?’ Ron asked eagerly. It seemed the boy was a sucker for a good story.
‘There were quite a few takers. I wasn’t really taken very seriously because I was only a kid, but I was really angry that night so, when the flag went down, I floored it and didn’t break until I crossed the finish line,’ Miranda smiled.
‘Did you win?’ Draco asked.
‘Sure I did!’ Miranda chuckled. ‘Why’d you think you got lined up against me?’
‘You’ve raced?’ Harry asked Draco.
‘Yeah. Dumbledore wanted me to watch her and I couldn’t very well miss out on all the fun could I?’ Draco laughed. ‘She beat me though.’
‘You put up a good fight. I almost thought I’d have to give up my crown.’ Miranda smiled.

The group of friends sat about talking until dinnertime when they made their way to the Great Hall. Miranda told everyone to go on without her if they wanted to and took her uniform into the bathroom. She changed into her uniform and tied her hair back into a ponytail and looked at herself in the mirror.
‘This is you now, Pooch,’ she said to herself. Pooch was the about all she could remember of her parents, it was a nickname they gave her when she was little. Aden still used it occasionally. Miranda sighed and opened the door and walked back into her room. Draco was sitting on one of the couches waiting for her.
‘I told you not to wait for me,’ Miranda told him. ‘But thanks anyway. I probably would have gotten my self lost.’
‘It’s okay. I couldn’t help but over hear you talking to someone in the bathroom. Who’s Pooch?’ Draco asked, standing up. Miranda felt herself blush.
‘Pooch is me actually. I was talking to my self,’ she said quietly, putting on her shoes.
‘Pooch? As in a dog?’ Draco asked. Miranda’s face grew even hotter.
‘Yeah. My mum and dad used to call me that. I used to have a really bad cough and they said it sounded like a dog’s bark.’
‘Oh. Okay, well, shall we?’ Draco held out his hand. Miranda smiled and took it, letting him lead her into the Great Hall.

It was full of chattering students, talking over the table and yelling from one end to the other. Miranda was particularly surprised to see there was no ceiling. Instead there was a night sky, speckled with bright stars.
‘It’s bewitched,’ Draco whispered as he led her to a table. ‘The ceiling’s there, it just looks like the night sky.’
‘This place never ceases to amaze me,’ Miranda said. She and Draco sat down at a table with the rest of the Slytherins. Dumbledore stood up and raised his hands for silence.
‘That’s never happened before,’ Draco commented. ‘Accept at the start of term and end of term feasts.’
‘Good evening everyone. If I may, I would like everyone to welcome Miss Miranda
Sparrow -’ Miranda froze as Dumbledore mentioned her name ‘- who has come to our school as a guest of mine. She will be staying in Slytherin house while she is here and I expect everyone to treat her like you would any other Hogwarts student.’ Dumbledore smiled. ‘For those of you who don’t already know her, Miranda, would you be so kind as to stand please?’ Dumbledore held out his hand in Miranda’s direction. Slowly she stood up. There were more people at Hogwarts than Miranda had first thought.
‘Thank you, Miss Sparrow,’ Dumbledore nodded to her and she sat down again.
‘That was so embarrassing,’ Miranda hissed to Draco.
‘You should have seen your face.’ He chuckled.
‘Shut up!’
‘There is also one more announcement I have to make,’ Dumbledore continued. ‘This year is my one hundred and fifty-seventh birthday, so, on the seventeenth of February, I will be hosting a party to celebrate. There will be no dress robes necessary, though you may wear them if you wish, and muggle clothes will be fine. In the true tradition of birthday parties, there will be lots of food and drinks and an immeasurable amount of ridiculously loud music. So with out further ado, dig in.’ Dumbledore waved his hands and the gold plates on the table filled with every sort of meal Miranda could imagine.
‘Do you want to go with me?’ Draco asked quietly.
‘Uh, sure. Okay. I’d love to,’ Miranda replied.
‘I need your help though,’ Draco continued. Miranda looked at him questionably. ‘I don’t actually own any muggle clothes.’
‘He said you can wear robes,’ Miranda shrugged.
‘Yeah but I don’t want to. I want to dress like a muggle for once,’ Draco said.
‘How do you expect me to help you? Where do they sell muggle clothes in Diagon Alley?’ Miranda asked.
‘That’s the problem. They don’t. I need you to help me sneak into muggle London,’ Draco said hopefully.
‘What? Why?’
‘So you can tell me what to buy. I’d end up looking like a complete idiot if I went on my own,’ he pleaded. ‘Please?’
‘Okay. But if we get caught, it’s your fault. When should we go?’ Miranda sighed.
‘When are the shops open?’
‘They’re open every day. I’d say out best bet would probably be a Sunday. Everyone shops on Sundays, so we wont attract much attention. You’d need muggle clothes to go there though and I don’t think mine would fit you,’ Miranda replied.
‘Right. So I’ll borrow some clothes off Harry and we’ll go tomorrow,’ Draco decided. Miranda held up her hand.
‘Hold on, hold on. How do we get there first?’ she asked.
‘We’ll Floo to The Leaky Cauldron. That’s in London, and we’ll get back the same way,’ Draco explained.
‘Okay, that sounds safe enough. We’ll see Harry after dinner then?’ Miranda asked, starting to eat a piece of chicken. Draco nodded in response.

After dinner, Miranda and Draco had to run to catch up with Harry.
‘I need a favour,’ Draco said gasping for breath.
‘Yes?’ Harry asked, eyebrow rose.
‘Um, I…need…’ Draco sputtered. Miranda sighed.
‘He needs to borrow some clothes.’
‘Why?’ Harry seemed genuinely surprised.
‘We can’t discus it here,’ Miranda said mysteriously.
‘Okay. Follow me,’ Harry led them up to a portrait of a fat lady in a pink dress.
‘Password?’ she wheezed.
‘Buttercup,’ Harry said and the portrait swung open. They went up a flight of stairs on the left of a circular room draped in red and gold. Ron and Hermione spotted them and followed as well.
‘Okay. Now what do you need my clothes for?’ Harry asked once he closed the door behind Hermione.
‘We’re going to London,’ Draco said shortly.
‘What?’ Hermione and Ron gasped in unison.
‘To go shopping for muggle clothes,’ Miranda added.
‘So you need to borrow my clothes?’ Harry confirmed.
‘So he can blend in,’ Miranda said, jerking his thumb at Draco. ‘It was entirely his idea I might add.’
‘When are you going?’ Ron asked.
‘Tomorrow,’ Miranda replied.
‘I want to go too,’ Ron said. ‘Can I come?’
‘If you want. Why don’t we all go?’ Miranda looked at Harry and Hermione.
‘Wont it look a bit obvious if we all go?’ Ron asked. Miranda almost snorted.
‘No. Teenagers always go shopping together.’
‘When do we leave?’ Harry asked.
‘Tomorrow morning at nine. Meet us in the common room. We’ll Floo to Gringotts from there, then The Leaky Cauldron. Our adventure will begin then. Don’t forget to dress as muggle as possible,’ Draco said.
‘Right. See you then,’ Hermione nodded.
‘Okay. See you tomorrow,’ Miranda waved and she and Draco headed out of Gryffindor tower and down into the dungeons. They walked up to Ehlana’s portrait.
‘See you in the morning then,’ Draco said.
‘Yeah. Good night,’ Miranda replied.
‘Password?’ Ehlana interrupted.
‘Bump,’ Miranda said nonchalantly. The portrait swung open.
‘Night,’ Draco said and he walked down the staircase.
‘He’s a nice boy,’ Ehlana commented. Miranda chuckled to herself and walked into her room. She platted her hair and changed into her pyjamas and got into bed.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1588