Lost Souls by Rose
Summary: Seven kids lost within a hopeless world of pain, so when someone gives them a chance to escape, do they fight it? Or accept it?


ON HIATUS
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 36214 Read: 35921 Published: 06/19/03 Updated: 12/10/05

1. Ray Anne and Brian, Orphaned Souls by Rose

2. Nickolas Carter, Unloved Soul by Rose

3. Kevin Richardson & Alexander McLean, Overworked Souls by Rose

4. And So It Begins... by Rose

5. The Beat Goes On... by Rose

6. The Darkness Within by Rose

7. Startling Events by Rose

8. Never A Moment's Peace by Rose

9. Run and Maybe It?ll Go Away by Rose

10. Hidden Self Destruction by Rose

11. Seek and Destroy by Rose

12. Hope and Faith by Rose

13. The Silent Cry by Rose

Ray Anne and Brian, Orphaned Souls by Rose
A/N- Okay here's the deal. This is my newest story. It's a drama and supernatural type story and I hope you like it. It's one of my first drama type fics so I thought I would post it. The way it'll go at first is one or two people per chapter, kay? Anyways, please read and review! Later!


"Lost Souls"


~**Chapter 1: Ray Anne and Brian, Orphaned souls.


Ray Anne Littrell stood in front of her full-length mirror anxiously. She finished braiding her shoulder length flaxen curls into two braids hastily. She critiqued herself, pulling down on her sky blue baby tee, and brushing off her black flares. She began to grab her bags, when her brother rushed in.


"Aren't you ready? You're lucky I'm nice, or I might've left you by now."


"Shut up Rok, I'm ready. Anyways, it's my car too. We BOTH paid for it remember?"


"But since I'm older, I'm in charge." He replied, his crystal blue eyes twinkling mischievously.


"Ooooh, by one year! Oh no! I'm sooo scared of the big bad seventeen year old! Somebody save me!" She retorted, rolling her eyes.


Brian ran his hands through his reddish blonde locks tiredly. He put his arm around his sister lovingly, laughing as they both walked out to their yellow VW Beetle. Ray Anne sat in the drivers seat, her sapphire orbs swirling with worries as she put the key into the ignition, but not starting up the car.


"Hey you okay?" her brother asked, his voice filled with concern.


"Yeah, I'm cool."


He stared at his sister intensely, not believing her. Ever since their parents had been in a plane crash three years ago, she had made a habit of shutting off her emotions. She isolated herself away from people, never putting her trust in people. Brian was the only one she did trust and the only one who could crack her thick shell that was built around her protectively. Both siblings began to fiddle with their necklaces distractedly. They had been the last gift their parents gave them. They were told never to lose them, for they were a family heirloom of some kind. Both were a long silver chain with a silver charm hanging from it. Ray Anne's was a rose in full bloom with a dark sapphire gem in the center. Brian's was a sun in all it's glory with a deep red ruby in the center. They sat in the car silently, parked in front of their uncle's apartment. They lived with him now, a drug addict who could care less about them. He was sending them to a private school called "Bright Sky School Of The Arts". It wasn't because he cared, but cause he wanted to get rid of them and they both earned scholarship in a contest they had won a year before so it was free. Brian and Ray Anne were very talented. Brian had an amazing voice, while Ray Anne was an incredible pianist and actress. Neither wanted to go there, but since it was between there and staying with their uncle, they agreed to go. The two of them had known it would be filled with rich snobs, and didn't want to be stuck sharing a room with them. Unfortunately, it was the lesser of the two evils and there was no other way out for them. Brian thought of their parents, everything had been so simple then. They had been happy. Loving parents, average life, hopeful dreams, all of it gone in a split second. They missed them so much it hurt. Brian sighed, feeling as troubled as her, but pushed the feeling away, knowing he had to be the strong one. He decided now was a bad time to pursue the reason for her unhappiness. He made a mental note to mention it later.


"We'll be fine Annie." He told her, using his nickname for her to soothe her.


She smirked bitterly, "Of course we will. Aren't we always? Doesn't everything turn out all perfect and happy in the end?" she snapped, her voice dripping with sarcasm.


Brian shook his head sadly. 'What is the point anymore?' he asked himself. He glanced at his sister, reminding himself why he kept on going. Without him, she'd self-destruct. He ran his had across his forest green long sleeved shirt and navy baggy pants. Somehow, he knew it was going to be a long day for them both.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Ray Anne dragged her three suitcases down to her dorm room, grunting angrily.


'This better be the right damn room this time.' She thought sourly. She gazed at the slip of paper in her hand once again: 5b.


"Okay…" she mumbled, "4a, 2c, 3b, Ah! Finally, 5b."



"She walked up, grabbing her key and unlocking her door. She entered the room slowly. The room was sweet. There was a soft, plush navy blue carpet. Two single beds were across from the door against the wall, with a large bay window and window seat between them. Each bed had a plaid pale yellow and navy blue bedspread on them. The walls were a pale yellow with two dressers on each sidewall, and a walk in closet on each side as well as two windows. On one of the beds was a young girl who looked about eighteen. Her peach skin glittered in the sunlight coming from the windows. Her deep chocolate eyes staring at Ray Anne intently, her brown tresses toppling down her back. Ray dropped her stuff by her bed, going over to the girl.


"Hi, I'm Ray. I guess we're roomies. You must be Jamelet."


"I must be huh?"


"Well, I thought maybe we can-"


"Listen, I'm not your friend, just someone forced to stay with you. you got that? Any one calls, I went out to meet some one." She told her. She brushed by Ray Anne, who watched her grab her purse and leave, slamming the door. Tears stung her eyes fiercely, she was rejected. Again. All she wanted was to feel loved again. To feel wanted and needed. Was that too much to ask for? She pulled out a bottle of Vodka, one of the bottles of alcohol she managed to sneak in and began to gulp it down despondently.


"Why can't I ever be happy? Why did you have to take everything I had away from me God? Why do I feel so alone? Do you even care God? Do you??" she called out miserably. With that, she flopped on her bed beginning to shed her endless tears.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Brian tossed his bags onto the bed roughly. He prayed that Ray Anne wasn't having a hard time adjusting; she never took rejection from her peers well. He pulled up his sleeves, staring at the fading scars he had upon his wrist. He thought of the overwhelming rush he had gotten from it and was tempted to pull out his pocket knife and do it again. He wanted to feel. To be able to feel human again. Escape. He shook his head. Ray Anne needed him; he was all she had left. He groaned, wondering just how he was going to make it through a new school year, when the guy he figured to be his roommate strolled in. He was about six feet tall, his blonde spiked hair as golden as the sun, and his deep ocean eyes distant and thoughtful as he came in. he wore a red wife-beater and baggy black shorts, showing off his nice frame. Brian pulled his sleeves down quickly, for not even Ray Anne knew about that.


"Hey, I'm Brian. Nick, right?"


"Yeah." Nick looked away shyly shuffling his feet.


"What grade you in?"


"Um, eleventh"


"Cool, I'm a senior, but my sister's a junior like you. You'd like her."


Nick perked up, "You have a sister?"


Brian smiled, trying to make the poor boy feel comfortable. It was as if Nick was ashamed to be himself. He nodded.


"Sweet. It's about time some new girls arrived here. I've been here two years and all the girls are stuck up as hell."


Brian laughed, "It's a private school, what do you expect?"


"Yeah. Hey, this place is boring; you wanna go see that new Steven King movie? I heard it was good."


"Sure," he answered, seeing the pleading look on Nick's face. Brian realized he needed something to focus on other than the harsh reality that was his life.


They grabbed their wallets and headed out. Brian looked at the silver necklace he wore unhappily, the red ruby glimmering in the light.


'Why can't I ever just escape and be happy? Why did my life as well as Ray's have to be destroyed so viciously?' he thought dejectedly as he followed Nick out of the quiet dorms.
Nickolas Carter, Unloved Soul by Rose
A/N- hey guys, here's the second chappie of my newest fic. Thank you Ana for reviewing, seriously appreciate it girl. I knew I liked you for a reason, hehe. Anyways, I hope all you guys like it. Let me know what you think, like it, love, or hate it, just let me know. Please, save my sanity, what little there is left. *Grins* Anywho, until the next chapter, later!


"Lost Souls"


~**Chapter 2: Nickolas Carter, Unloved Soul




Nick packed his many art supplies into his forest green suitcase carefully. Drawing and Painting were the some of the few things that he truly loved to do, and that made him happy. He fingered the long silver chain that hung about his neck uncertainly, examining the silver charm upon it. It was a dolphin that had a few shark-like qualities and an emerald in the center. His grandparents had given it to him for his tenth birthday. He ran his hand across his blonde spikes dejectedly; at least his grandparents loved him. Sadly, he only saw them twice a year, on his birthday, and on Christmas. His parents were a different story. Nick couldn't remember a time when his parents ever showed him love or affection. Only when they had guests around and then it was just for show. He had made many accomplishments in choir, art, and acting, but they always dismissed them. His father constantly emphasized the fact that he should go into law and join the family law firm because he didn't have a future in the arts. He didn't think so either, he knew they probably felt sorry for him at the school so they gave him the win, but still kept at it because they were the only pleasures left in his life.


Why did his parents still send them there then? Because it made them look good for letting their son pursue his dream, despite the fact that they really weren't. He tucked the necklace under his shirt. He always wore it; however he couldn't let his parents see it. If they did, it would be taken away and he'd be punished. Nick shuddered, for whenever he was a "bad boy" his mother and father would shove him in the closet or attic, despite the fact he was extremely claustrophobic. At one point, he entered a painting of his into the school art contest against his parent's will. He won first place, and had gone to the show to accept the award. When he got back he was shut up in the attic with no food for three days straight. He was only eleven at the time, and from then on, he knew he was only a thing to carry on the Carter name to them. Not a son that his parents loved. He wished with all his being that he could have grown up with someone who loved him, or that he wasn't an only child. He thought that maybe then they would accept him for who he is, or at least he wouldn't have felt so lonely.


'No, I'm a mistake.' He remembered. 'That's why they hate me. I fail 24/7, and don't succeed much. I don't even deserve to live. So why would anyone wanna love me?' he began to think of school, and the fact that he didn't have any friends. That was proof enough for him.


He heard someone's footsteps come up the stairs. Nick groaned, knowing it had to be his very controlling mother. He trembled, hoping he didn't do anything that would make her punish him again. She came into the room, and he stood, towering over her. His ocean blue eyes mirroring the fear and loathing that consumed his entire soul. He put his shaky hands behind his back, trying not to show his fright.


"Hi mom."


"Hello Nickolas." She answered coldly.


"Um, I'm almost done packing, so I'll be leaving soon."


His mother went over to one of his three bags that lay upon his bed, beginning to ruffle through the clothes. She put them back carefully and did the same to the other two. He knew why she was doing this and smirked superiorly, she wouldn't find the sleeping pills. He had tried twice before to escape by overdosing on them but failed. He laughed inwardly; he wasn't even planning on packing them until he was in the car where they lay inside the glove compartment. He truly thought he needed them as back up if he couldn't deal. Mrs. Carter stopped and zipped up the4 bags, satisfied that they weren't in there, when she caught sight of the many art supplies he had just put in the bag.


"Nickolas…"


"Yes?"


"Why did you pack these?" she asked annoyed as she held up a paintbrush.


"Because."


"Because why? Why chase after a dream? Something you're not even good at? You're not talented honey. Reality Check- The only reason they accept you as a student each year is because of the fact that you are a Carter, and we give the school so much money each year. You'd be better off at the Carter Law Firm, like your father." She told him, sneering haughtily at her son.


Nick looked to the floor, believing her, his eyes downcast. A surge of energy ran through him just then, his head shooting up. He gazed at her angrily, beyond doubt wanting to rebel.


"Well, t-th-the-then why do you do it huh? I mean, let me go. Donate money. I-it doesn't make sense i-i-if it's such a waste."


She looked at him surprised. He mouth agape without any kind of answer. She glanced at her son, her brown orbs flashing with fury.


"Are you talking back to me young man?" she snapped.


Nick took a step back, scared of the consequences of his actions. 'Boy, I'm gonna get it now. I'm such an idiot! When will I ever learn?' he realized.


"I-I-I…"


"ANSWER ME YOU SELFISH BRAT!! NICKOLAS GENE CARTER, I'LL MAKE YOU WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN!!!"


'You already do' he thought.


"Um-I-I…"


"Don't be a BAD BOY." She growled, "You know I have ways of making bad boys become good." Her threat was evident as she put her face inches away from Nick.


He cowered like a six year old would from a ten year old bully about to beat him up in the playground. His eyes grew wide with terror as his body shook violently.


"Puh-puh-please mom. I didn't m-mean t-to talk back. I'll be good. P-please don't put me back in the closet again." He pleaded, his voice quivering in pure horror.


"Alright, but do it again…"


"I won't. I-I'm sorry. I-I'll be a good boy. I promise."


Mrs. Carter patted him on his head softly, as one would a dog. He shivered. "Okay. Hurry up and finish packing. You have to leave soon." She said cheerfully as if nothing had happened. She walked out leaving a terribly frightened Nick.


He finished packing hurriedly, wanting to get out of what he called "Carter House Of Hell" as soon as he could. He grabbed his bags, rushing down the stairs, not bothering to say goodbye to either of his parents. He threw his bags into the back of his forest green jeep. Nick hopped into the driver's seat, starting the car. He silently thanked God for the minor escape he would get during the school year and sped off towards Bright Sky.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Nick walked down to his dorm wordlessly. He wondered if his roommate would be kind, or if he'd be fun. He sighed, unlocking the door and entering the dorm. It was the same as the girls' dorms across the hall only with a green carpet and navy blue walls with the matching bedspread. He pulled out his pictures and hung them by his bed on his side of the room. He set up his canvas, beginning to finish his painting.This was his way of truly getting his feelings out. It was of a young blonde boy that looked remarkably like Nick, cowering in the night as two large shadows that resembled his parents somewhat towering over him as if they were going to attack him. He smiled at his finished work about thirty minutes later. He was glad he was at the school, even if he was a day early. Suddenly the phone rang. Nick lunged to the phone.


"Hello?…hey…cool, I can go for more choir practice. Yeah…sweet…maybe we can go get a burger or something after… Alright…Yeah, your brother AJ is gonna be there too?…Sure…Okay, where's your guys' dorm?…Be there in a few minutes then. Later."


He hung up the phone a small grin appearing upon his face. It had been Kevin Richardson, the senior who helped him develop his voice for Choir. His half brother, Alexander McLean, was there as well, who had been taking Choir and Drama with Nick the past few years. They were closest things nick had to friends. He pulled on his white Nike t-shirt to wear with his baggy blue jeans. He ran his hands through his blonde spikes, looking in the mirror satisfied. Nick grabbed his wallet and ran out the door.


"As he walked down the halls his only thoughts were, 'Why is this all I can get though? Why can't ANYONE be my friend? Or love me? All I wanna do is escape. Why can't I do that and be happy?' with that he walked up and knocked on the door to Alex's dorm to escape his thoughts.
Kevin Richardson & Alexander McLean, Overworked Souls by Rose
A/N- Okay, now this story is hopefully something you guys like, but I need to know!!!! Oh and I promise this is not a romance, there might be a lil in the fic, but that's it. The action will enter the story soon enough. Anyways, here's the next chappie for ya, so enjoy!

"Lost Souls"

~**Chapter 3: Kevin Richardson & Alexander McLean, Overworked Souls.


Kevin dragged his feet into the large house tiredly. His shoulders slumping forward as he hung his black leather jacket by the front door. He had just come home from work, his hours being from 7am to 12pm that day. Also, it was a long drive back, so he had gotten home at 1:30 pm. Kevin was exhausted, but he still had to pack his things and drive himself and Alex to bright Sky's campus which was two and a half hours away. He groaned loudly, for all he wanted to do was sleep the day away but he couldn't do that yet. He walked up through the empty mansion silently, thinking of the twisted irony of a life that he and Alex shared.

To everyone else they had the perfect life: a loving and responsible mother, beautiful mansion for a home, money, talent and good looks. Now only the last two were true. Talents, well, Kevin had a deep soulful voice and his fingers made magic when playing the piano. Alex was a little different; he was a great singer with a strong voice, a graceful dancer, and a very convincing actor. Looks wise both boys were handsome, eighteen year old Kevin with dark black locks hanging about his face, framing it along with his captivating green eyes, and a strong, tall and slightly rugged body. Alex, two years younger was a smaller, and more wiry, but still had a built body. His Latin roots showed through in his darkly tanned skin, chocolate eyes, and brown spiked hair.

Unfortunately in reality, that was the only perspective people have of them that were true. The rest of them were the exact opposite of what their lives are really like.

'If they only knew the truth!' Kevin mused, shaking his head. ' Then I know they wouldn't wanna trade lives with me or Alex.'

He headed up the white marble staircase slowly, his aching pleading for rest. The footsteps echoed eerily in the large mostly empty house. When he got to the hallway, he turned and started toward his brother's room, but stopped. Kevin spun around and headed towards his own room instead. He collapsed on his bed wearily, catching sight of the pictures that adorned his room of him and Alex as kids. A few were with their mother, and some with Alex's father. There were none with Kevin's father however; his father left them before Kevin was even born. Alex's father soon came along and was a real dad to him. Soon enough Alex was born. He was only two at the time. Alex's father stuck around up until Kevin was ten and Alex was eight. It still stung for them, because they had been a true family then. Then their father decides to leave them all for a woman who was younger then their mother. Both brothers figured this was about the time their mother, Mrs. McLean, began to snap. She started drinking crazily, doing drugs and making insane bets. Within five years almost all of their family fortune was gone, leaving Mrs. McLean with numerous debts made with people willing to endanger him or Alex to get to their mother. So, Kevin and Alex both went out to get jobs and have been working in every spare minute since. Almost all of their furniture ended up being sold, only keeping some in the kitchen and the bedrooms they actually used for themselves. The only reason they could afford Bright Sky was because they were scholarships, but no one else knew that. Their car was a 67' corvette that needed to be fixed up badly, and Kevin and Alex did it beautifully, making it a candy apple red. It looked expensive and is worth a lot now, but wasn't when they had first got it. Sadly, their mother started finding the money and making even more bets and doing more drugs and wasting it in other ways. So they had to get a separate account that she couldn't find or access. Kevin sat up, packing his bags quickly, realizing they had to leave soon. They couldn't even say good bye to their mother for she was in her room, passed out in either a drunken stupor, a drug high, or both. Kevin walked down the hall dragging his bags to Alex's room it was time to go.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alex drifted out of the dorms, towards the school theater. He was happy he gotten the voice lesson with nick and Kevin done yesterday, for they would probably come in handy today. He adjusted his black silky shirt, pulling up his sagging blue jeans. He rubbed his silver necklace anxiously for luck. It was a long silver chain with a charm that had a ferocious lizard head that was baring it's teeth, and in the center was the stone, amber. Kevin had one as well, only his was a Lion's head, with a bright stone of garnet in the center. Alex wanted luck with his tryouts for the first musical, Grease.

'It might be a little tired.' He mused, 'but it's fun and a good thing to start for people who didn't get a chance to practice over the summer, like me.'

He entered the hectic theater speedily, hoping he wasn't late. Alex lived for this, it was a way of evading reality for him, out of the hellhole he had to call life. He looked back at the doors for a second, happy that nothing could touch him beyond these doors. He went to turn around, when he rammed right into somebody.

"OW!" She cried from the floor. She stood, but her script and the contents of her purse were scattered across the floor.

"I'm sorry, it's my fault. Let me get that for you." he bent down gathering her possessions for her and giving them to her. He stood, finally getting a good look at the girl before him.

"It's alright, I completely space sometimes. Thank you though." She said laughing.

He took in the young lady before him, her 5'8" athletic body nicely tanned and glimmering in the light. Her blonde hair curled and bouncing playfully about her face. Her crystal blue eyes sparkled with light as she gazed at him kindly.

'Wow, a new girl.' He thought, 'A cute one who isn't even snobby! That's gotta be a first.'

"What's your name?" he queried, looking about the large theater amusedly. "I mean since we'll be working together on the play and all."

The girl rolled her eyes teasingly and smiled, "Ray Littrell."

"That short for something?"

"Ray Anne, but if you call me that I'll have to kill you," she said in a mock serious tone.

He chuckled gently, "Mines AJ."

She grinned, "Is THAT short for something?"

"Alexander James, but if YOU call me that I'll torture you." He joked.

She giggled, as the two of them walked to a bench, Ray sat and placed her things alongside her while AJ signed in and grabbed a copy of the script that they were to read from for the audition. He sat beside her, fiddling with his brown locks.

"So what part are you going for? Hmm…let me guess, you'd be a….Sandy."

"Of course, but my voice needs some work, so I'll probably get Frenchie or Rizzo."

"Maybe, see, I'm going for Danny and-" he paused as he caught sight of Nick who stood timidly against the wall, reading over the script. Alex sighed, wishing that he could convince the kid the he and Kevin really were his friends. The kid needed some confidence, they were the same age, both at sixteen, but sometimes Alex felt as if he was years older. Alex stood up yelling, "Nick! Nick! Over here!!!"

The young blonde gazed about uncertainly. He hesitated but in a few moments came over to the two teens.

"Hey Alex, um…who's this?" he asked, motioning towards Ray Anne.

"Oh this is-"

"Ray Littrell." She finished, rising up. Her eyes never left Nick as she flipped her blonde curls flirtatiously.

"Nick Carter."

Her heart fluttered when he grinned at her. Alex rolled his eyes them annoyed. 'Figures,' he thought 'Carter's a regular heartbreaker, too bad he's too shy to ever make the first move.'

Nick's deep blue eyes suddenly became thoughtful, "Littrell right?"

"Yeah…"

"You related to Brian Littrell?"

She giggled, "Yeah, he's my older brother."

"He told me a lot about you."

"Hopefully good things." She joked, they began to gaze into each other's eyes when AJ caught their attention.

"So Nick?"

"Oh…uh…yeah?"

"Who you aiming for?"

Nick smirked," Hopefully Danny, but I'll probably get Kenickie."

""Well, why are the auditions now? Why not after school starts?"

"They do this because it's easier for our drama teacher Ms. Candela to get a good idea of the skills her Advanced Drama students possess. If all goes well, they'll have the casting list posted on the doors tomorrow when school starts. Open auditions that are for the rest of the school are in a few hours; adv. drama students always get first dibs. We have a pretty tight schedule to follow so this has to be done today."

Alex was about to continue on when they heard a shrill voice shout, "Number 18! Ray Anne Littrell! You're up!"

"Wish me luck boys!" she told them, and ran to the stage excitedly.

Alex and Nick watched play and excerpt as Sandy remarkably. Her stage presence was incredible, and her face was seemed to be completely innocent, as if she really was Sandy, and it didn't hurt that her natural looks fit the part. Her singing voice was good for someone who didn't take singing lessons or anything. The teachers nodded eagerly, as they spoke of her performance, and Alex knew she would get a major part.

"Number 20! Nickolas Carter!"

Nick was terrific as always in Alex's opinion while he watched him read a part as Danny and one as Kenickie. He was like Alex and lived for the stage. The two of them had been taking drama classes together since the eighth grade, 3 years later and nothing about that had changed for either of them. The boy was a shoo-in for both parts, his voice echoing beautifully through the theater.

'I wouldn't be surprised if he did get Danny" he reflected. Alex heard his name called and rushed to the stage cheerfully. Once up there he became Danny, playing the part for all it was worth. On stage he was a star in another world. Where he could be anything, do anything. He had another life there, and was always living it to the fullest. When he was finished he saw the teachers talking happily and realized he nailed it. He walked off stage his mind elsewhere.

'My life is perfect on stage. Why can't it be that way when I'm off?' he asked himself mentally as he caught sight of Nick and Ray chatting outside and ran off to catch up with his friends
And So It Begins... by Rose
A/N- Okay from this chapter on, this fic will have slight cursing in it. I’m sorry if you don’t like it, but I feel that since teens do talk like this, it does make the story more realistic. Also, there will be other celebs in this fic but only as minor characters; it just made my life easier to do that. Oh, and the group “September Star” is a real group and they’re a local band here in Vegas, so please don’t try to steal that.This chapter will also be split into three parts because I need to show everone meeting on the 1st day, but it would be WAY too long to post it as one. As for what’s going on I don’t support the war, but I do support our troops and their bravery. I pray each day that they do come home safe. I hope you all are safe, and if you have family out there, I hope they come home to you soon. God Bless.

“Lost Souls”

~**Chapter Four: And So It Begins…

Jamelet yawned, rubbing her eyes as she sat up in her bed. She groaned loudly when she realized what day it was. Once again it was time to start yet another school year. Thankfully her last. To Jamelet the first day was always a pain to deal with. She saw it as another opportunity for all the stupid snobs of the school to show off.

‘Speaking of spoiled snobs,’ she mused, her coffee eyes catching sight of Ray Anne.

Ray Anne was out of bed already, curling the last of her sun colored tresses in front of the mirror. She pinned some back contentedly, the spiral curls jumping about her face impishly, and her sapphire orbs shimmering with light. The teen was wearing a light green tank top that said “Angel” on it in a pale yellow, light green shorts and white tennis shoes. The only jewelry being a silver necklace that Jamelet didn’t get a good look of. Ray Anne looked younger, thirteen, instead of sixteen. She appeared happy, and cute, maybe even perky. All this did however was make Jamelet hate her even more. The girl seemed to have everything: looks, talents, money, and a worry-free and cheerful life. What did she get to deserve this? Why did some people get all the breaks?

‘Look at her. Idiotic spoiled rich twit.’ She thought, ‘Never had any REAL problems in her life.’ She grabbed a brush from her dresser and began running it through her messy brunette locks.

“Good morning Jamelet, I know you might have some issues with me, but I thought that maybe we can start over. You know, try to get along. It’ll be making our lives easier for the both of us since we’ll be rooming here together for the entire school year.”

“Oh my God, could you be anymore annoying? Damn take a hint! No matter what you do, we’ll never get along. I don’t like you! Get over it!” she growled.

Ray froze, and then began to turn towards Jamelet. She placed her belongings down on her freshly made bed.

“What is your freaking problem! I’m just trying to be nice! What the hell is up YOUR ass!”

“You.”

“What do you mean me? I’ve been kind from day one!”

“Of Course. You’re so damn perfect! I bet nothing has ever been hard for you in your entire life! You biggest problem being you ran out of make up.”

Ray glared at her, her eyes blazing.

“Listen, you don’t know shit about me. First of all, I don’t wear make up. Second, everybody has their own personal crap to deal with, not just you. Third, get a damn clue. Why don’t you find out something about me before you’re stupid enough to open that big ass mouth of yours. I’m outta here.”

She grabbed her stuff from off of her bed. Ray Anne rushed out, slamming the door behind her. Jamelet watched her go in amusement. A small grin began forming upon her attractive face.

“Mission accomplished.” She stated. She left her bed and started to get ready for school.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick gazed at his class program merrily; pleased that he had classes that would help him get better at doing the things he loved. He threw on his bright blue sleeveless shirt and his blue jean shorts hurriedly. This way he and Brian might have enough time to grab a bite to eat before class starts. He glanced over at the older teen who had just put on a long sleeved khaki shirt and blue jean shorts. Nick smiled, satisfied that he finally found a roommate that he might be able to become friends with.

Brian loved the artwork he had done, and were hanging about the room. He kept telling him that he needed to start making them public. In fact it was an argument the two of them kept having. Nick knew that it wasn’t true, but the praise was always pleasant to hear. Suddenly, a dark green pillow goes flying through the air and smacks Nick upside the head, bringing him out of his thoughts.

“What was that for?” he asked laughing, his ocean eyes gleaming with happiness.

Brian grinned, his azure eyes sparkling mischievously.

“You’re slow, I thought I’d try to hurry ya up.”

Nick smirked, spiking his golden strands in front of the mirror.

“Shaddup!”

Brian rolled his eyes at him playfully.

“Make me tough guy. Did you get your schedule?”

“Of course.”

“Well what are you doing? Lets see if we have any classes together Blondie.”

“You’re Blonde too!”

“Yeah, but I’m not slow.” He teased, tousling Nick’s spiky hair.

“Hey!” he fixed his hair again and grabbed his schedule card as Brian did the same. They examined the cards closely together for a moment. Both boys were a tad disappointed to see they only had one class together.

“Damn Nick, you sing and act too?”

He looked at his feet, his eyes downcast. “Well…um…yeah.”

“Sheez you’re talented.”

“Maybe, but you sing too!” he pointed out.

“But that’s it! Anyways, I’ll be happy to hear you in choir. Ray will have to tell me how good of an actor you are until I can go see you two in a show.” He praised, trying to give Nick the confidence he obviously needed.

Before Nick could reply, Ray Anne burst into the dorm room. Nick beamed. She leaped onto Brian’s bed, sitting next to her brother and dropping her possessions on his dresser. Brian glanced at her, staring into her clear blue eyes and saw the fury swirling against the irises. He immediately saw right through what he called her “happy-go-lucky” façade.

“Annie, you alright?”

She flipped her hair back distractedly, the curls bouncing about her face.

“Yeah, just pissed about my bitchy roommate B-Rok.”

‘She called me B-Rok, that’s a good sign. I’ll let it go then.’ He mused.

“God then…” he looked over at Nick and nodded. The teen boys pounced upon Ray Anne, tickling her endlessly.

“No fair!” she screamed.

“Muhahahahaha!!!” Nick bellowed.

“Guys…quit!” she tried to say between giggles.

“NEVER!” They declared humorously.

“Say Brian and Nick are your masters! That I am the ultimate Littrell!!”

“No!”

The boys continued to tickle her mercilessly, never giving her a break.

“Fine! Frick n’ Frack are my masters! Brian is-”

“Frick n’ Frack?” Nick and Brian asked simultaneously as the stopped tickling Ray Anne and let her sit up and compose herself.

“A comedy team in Europe I saw on TV once, I think. I don’t know, the names just fit you guys. Anywho-”

“FRACK!!” Brian interrupted, pointing at Nick.

“FRICK!!” Nick cried, pointing back at Brian.

Ray Anne whined as they started to repeatedly call each other “Frick” and “Frack”.

“I just had to call them that! What did I just start??” she complained.

“You know you love us Annie.” Brian told her jokingly, putting his arm around his sibling’s shoulders.

She sighed, and rolled her eyes at him. “I still don’t understand why though.”

“Must be one of the great mysteries of life then. Let’s just go and get something to eat. I’m starving. C’mon Frack.”

“Okay Frick.” Nick replied, walking to the other side of Ray and putting his arm around her shoulders as well. The blonde headed trio walked out into the hall, all in high spirits for the moment.

‘They’re probably only being nice and inviting me out of pity,’ he mused gloomily, ‘but I guess I have to start off somewhere.’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Howie Dorough entered the quaint coffee shop tiredly. He was drained. Howie got very little sleep for last night for he had been tossing and turning all night long. He had been worrying about his stepsister Jamelet. This was their third year at this school and she still wanted to run away. It didn’t matter to her how much her dancing talents are being improved here, she figured she could do the same somewhere else. Howie was scared she might just do something drastic. Also, he liked it here. He had a passion and talent for singing and knew this was the best place to get advice on how to become a professional and get better at it each day. He may hate the people here as a whole, but that he could deal with.

‘I guess, this will do for today,’ he contemplated, looking down at himself in his red silk t-shirt and black jeans as he ran his hands through his dark curly locks sleepily.

His stepsister, Jamelet Ramos then walked into the coffee shop. Her russet strands tied in a low ponytail, her slim petite body was in a knee length flowing black dancer’s skirt with a white frilly blouse. Her black books clicked softly as she walked up to him. She took a seat across from Howie at the table, taking a sip of the cappuccino he had ordered for her as he then drank his coffee.

“Jam, you okay? You look pissed.”

“Yeah, but this carefree, preppy little monster I have to room with is a pain in my ass.”

Howie sneered at her bitterly, “Well, I haven’t met her yet, but try rooming with Justin Timberlake. He’s gotta be worse, and you know I hate the guy.”

“Then lets leave this stupid school!”

“And where would we go J? Home? No freaking way.”

“Hell no! Just away!!!!”

“NO! This is your last year here and I only have one more after that. Then we’ll be gone for good and control out our own lives for once.”

“D! I don’t think-”

Howie sighed, even though he was the younger of the two by one year, at seventeen, it usually felt if it was the other way around.

“NO. Come on, or we’ll end up in Dean La Bonbons cause we were late for first period.” He told her. The dean’s name was really Dean La Bond, but she was so mean and so overweight everyone called her Dean La Bonbons behind her back. The stepsiblings walked out into the parking lot, Howie to his purple corvette and Jamelet to her black Mercedes. They agreed to talk during their Home Ec class third hour, waved, and drove off to get back to Bright Sky.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kevin grins as he and Alex walk into their first class. Journalism II, otherwise know as Bright Sky’s newspaper, “The Investigator” staff. As much as Kevin loves music, he loves being a reporter as well. He could’ve been Editor n’ Chief by now if he wanted, but chooses not to, he’s happy where he is. AJ is their photographer. The boy took amazing pictures.

He catches sight of a newbie walking in the room uncertainly. He was 5’7” with reddish blonde hair and cobalt blue eyes. He sat off away from everyone, gazing about wordlessly.

‘Ah, so that’s the new reporter.’ He thought. The school was small enough that whenever someone new came, everyone knew about it. He strolled over to him and sat down.

“Hey, I’m Kevin, you’re the new reporter right?”

“Yep, I’m Brian. Brian Littrell.”

“I was surprised when I heard about you, very few people actually take this class.”

“I know, my sister is an amazing photographer, our mom taught her cause she was one for a living. I tried to convince her to take this class, and show some of it off, but she wouldn’t hear of it.” He felt guilty, knowing that wasn’t the entire story. After the accident Ray swore she would never take picture professionally again. Cause then she used to submit them to contests and even had a part time photo job at their old neighborhood’s local newspaper. He smiled at Kevin, happy that someone in this school knew the meaning of the word “friendly”, cause people had been snubbing him all morning.

AJ walked over to the two guys. Kevin noticed the awkward silence between the three of them and spoke up. “Oh, Brian this is my younger brother AJ. AJ this Brian.”

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick sat beside Ray quietly as the bell for first period, which was U.S. History, rang. Their teacher, Ms. Jensoni was now beginning to talk of course expectations and what they would need for class. Out of the corner of her eye, Ray Anne noticed Nick staring at her. Ray grinned, excited at the possibility that Nick might like her. Last night she had asked around about Nick and AJ and discovered that they were the most sought after boys in the junior class. What really surprised her was the fact that Nick Carter hasn’t dated ANYONE in the school yet. She was glad she has done the research, for she now knew she was going to be the one that has to make the first move.

“So…” She whispered to him, “ What-”

“MS. RAY ANNE LITTRELL!!!”

She looked up to see her teacher glaring down at her angrily by her desk. Ray’s curls begin to bounce about as she looked up, and brushed them out of the way, annoyed.

“Um, yes?”

“I’m SO sorry to interrupt, but I am trying to instruct the class. I do not want any more distractions. May I continue now?”

Ray smirked naughtily, “Oh by all means, go ahead. It’s such thrilling info.”

The class laughed softly as Ms. Jensoni walked back up to the front of the class and continued to lecture. She listened for five minutes, ten tops, before she was bored again. She pulled out a notebook and began to write furiously. (a/n excuse all the abbreviations, and the spelling and grammar errors from here on to where the notes stop. It’s because they’re notes, and I’ve never seen a note that has been correct in those ways.)

‘oh Nicky boy,

this class stinks!! i am so bored. anywho, keep me entertained. tell me about yourself! i know ur an actor & an artist, but there’s gotta be more to ya than that! fave movie? fave music? c'mon, i'm nosy! hehe.

Ray Anne Littrell.’

She folded the note up and handed it to Nick quickly. A few moments later she got one back from him.

‘Ray of sunshine,

just so you know, i sing 2. i luv rock music, but my fave group’s from the 80’s and its called “journey”. fave movies are the “aliens” series & “the goonies”. what bout u?

Nicky boy’

Ray blushed at “Ray of sunshine” beaming widely as she wrote a reply and gave it to him.

‘Nicky boy,

i luv pop, rock, & when they’re mixed together. fave movies are “friday the 13th”, “interview w/ a vampire” & “cruel intentions”. my fave group’s “september star”. want my fave color & food 2? colors: BLUE & purple, food: anything italian, especially pizza. Hey, lightbulb! We should go do something later.

Ray of sunshine’

‘Ray of sunshine,

color-green, food-pizza. You’re right we should do something. but like what?

Nicky boy’

‘Nicky boy,

how bout a movie? party? club? arcades? ice skating? somethin' like that i guess.

Ray o’ sunshine’

‘Sunny,

that’s ur new nickname cuz Ray of sunshine is 2 long for ya. I think u have a good idea. U, me, brian, aj, and his brother Kevin, (u haven’t met him yet) can all go 2 da “Enforcer”. I know some1 who can get us in.

Nicky boy’

Ray groaned mentally after she read what Nick had written. A group thing wasn’t exactly what she had in mind. But it wasn’t like she could tell Nick that. Besides, the group and Nick was better than no Nick at all, she figured. The bell rang to signal the end of class. As she stood up, Nick gazed at her earnestly for her answer.

“So Sunny that cool?”

She nodded, not wanting to say something embarrassing that she’d regret. The two teenagers walked through the hallways to their lockers together.

“So what class do you have next?” Nick asked her shyly.

She glanced at her class program card, “um…well…” she stuttered.

‘Come on,’ she demanded herself noiselessly, ‘TALK!!’

“Oh! Concert Piano.”

Nick’s face fell a little. “Oh, I have Geometry. I guess I’ll see by Drama class then?”

Ray slammed her locker door shut, knowing she wouldn’t need anything until third period.

“I guess…”

“Bye Sunny!”

“Later Nicky boy”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian goes down the halls of Bright Sky joyfully. Journalism II or J2 as it was called was a blast. This was going to be nearly as bad as he believed it would be. He catches sight of Ray Anne and was about to head over to her, but he then noticed Nick with her at their lockers and smiled. She needed this, someone who could help her in the ways Brian couldn’t. Nick liked her, that much was evident. His problem was that he was to shy to act on it. That was where Ray would come in. She will be too stubborn to give up, and will get what she wants soon enough. Brian went down to his second class, Anatomy. He sat down next to a brunette whose hair was tied in a low ponytail, and had deep brown eyes. She looked familiar, but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

“Hi.”

She gazed at him strangely and said nothing.

“Look, I know I look crazy, but I am completely harmless, I promise.”

She laughed gently.

“I’m Brian.”

“Jamelet.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alex goes into his history class, annoyed and bored after the first fifteen minutes of class. He was sitting in the very back corner of the classroom. He looked over at the guy next to him, red silk shirt, black jeans, and strong Spanish features. He knew the guys from somewhere but didn’t know where. He grinned evilly, it was about time he entertained himself and had some fun around here. He pulled a brush out of his bright yellow backpack along with a small video camera Kevin had given him last Christmas. He holds the brush in his right hand as if it was a microphone. AJ turns the camera on, holds it in his left hand and points it at himself.

“Hello.” He says in a false British accent, “Welcome to another episode of ‘Lifestyles Of the Rich and Snobby’. Today we are in AJ McLean’s U.S. History class. It’s very dull, so enough about that.” he points the camera at the guy next to him and holds the brush towards him. “Here we have…”

“Howie Dorough, future Latin singing heartthrob” he joked in a false accent, smirking.

“Oh yes, the infamous ‘Sweet D’ otherwise known as dancing sensation Jamelet Ramos’ little brother.”

He see the teacher heading towards him and whispers “We’ll be right back after this dumb lecture.” and stuffs the camera into his bag quickly along with the brush.

“Mr. Alex McLean?”

“Yes?” he asks, still using the British accent. Ms. Jensoni looks at him strangely and shakes her head.

“PAY ATTENTION!”

“Of course miss, wouldn’t miss it for the world my lady.” The class laughs and she heads back to the front of the class to continue lecturing. He pulls out the camera again.

“Okay gents and ladies, that about wraps it up for today, stay tuned for next time in ‘Lifestyles Of The Rich And Snobby!” he turns off the camera.

Howie looks at him in disbelief. “Dude, I can’t believe you just got away with that.”

AJ nods, “What can I say? I’m just good.”

“So you’re the infamous AJ McLean?”

“One and only.” He says. He liked Howie, he needed people that weren’t prissy in this school. So he wanted to get to know the guy better.

Howie laughs, “Well, I know one thing, it’s gonna be an interesting year with you in this class.”

AJ grins at him crazily, “Dude, would you really want it any other way?”
The Beat Goes On... by Rose
A/N- Hey people, sorry it took so long, again. This chapter ended up being a LOT longer than I originally thought. Here’s your chapter, hope you enjoy, and please Review!!! Pweety pweeze? *grabs Nick and he does the puppy dog face* C’mon, no one can resist this! Hehe, anyways, later!





“Lost Souls”



~**Chapter 5: The Beat Goes On…



Alex McLean trudges to the back of the classroom, tiny video camera in hand. He knows that without a doubt he would get bored within the first five minutes of class. It was Geometry class of all things, and after his “thrilling” U.S. history class he needed a something to this period until lunch. He sees Nick at the teacher’s desk in front of the classroom and waves wildly, causing the boy to smile. AJ grins, Nick is a student aide in this class, in his mind that could make things a little more interesting for him. Maybe this class won’t be so bad after all.



Ray Anne Littrell enters the room bashfully, appearing to be a sixth grader lost in the high school with that aura of innocence surrounding her. AJ knew that innocence couldn’t be real, if it was, well…he could work around that. He motions for her to sit next to him and she does contentedly.



“What’s that for?” she inquires, pointing at the camera while she set her baby blue backpack beside her desk.



AJ smirks evilly, “You'll see.”



Mr. Oakie, their teacher, walks into the room and stands before the class. The bell rings shrilly a moment later.



“Hello class, now unlike most teachers we will dive right in today and begin. Please open the textbooks under your desk and we will begin section 1-1.”



The class groans loudly. He begins to talk about today’s lesson. The second he did, both Ray Anne and AJ tune him out back in the last row. Ray turns towards Alex again immediately.



“So…what’s the camera for?” she asks again eagerly.



“You’ll see…if you’re lucky.”



“Aw, Aje, c’mon.”



“Nope.”



Nick watches them whisper to each other excitedly in the back of the room. His ocean eyes blaze with jealous anger. He stands up and walks to the table behind them and sits down at a computer, entering student’s name into it furiously. Ray turns towards him then smiling.



“Nick!” she calls out to him softly. He looks up at her to see two notes tossed on the table for him. He opens Ray’s first, reading it happily.



*’Oh Nicky boy!



Hey aj & i have an idea 2 make this stupid preppy school a little more interesting meet us after class we all have 1st lunch together after this class anyway. let us no if ur in!



~Sunny~’*



Nick shakes his head at the two goofs, laughing quietly. He was curious about what they had planned.



‘As crazy as AJ is, and from what I’ve seen from Ray Anne so far, this can’t be good. Or even HALFWAY sane.’ He muses as he opens AJ’s note.



*’Kaos,



Remember that name? Well, ur gonna earn it again by da end of da school yr listen we’re gonna “rehearse” during lunch, since I KNOW we’re all gonna be in grease. But thats all i'm sayin, or u’ll say no. u in?



Bone.’*




Nick chuckles at the old nicknames. He, being the master of pranks when he was younger had been called “Kaos.” AJ, being so skinny and such a ladies man, had been called “Bone” for obvious reasons. He only wishes that they were friends, not just someone AJ hung out with out of pity. But, he’d take what he could get. He writes a reply and passes it to them quickly. the teens begin fighting over it teasingly but AJ finally gets a hold of the note and opens it.



“So, what’s it say?” Ray questions, snatching the note to read it for herself



*’Sunny, Bone,



u 2 r insane! i'm in, but only cuz u’ll bug me till i agree ne-way. y do I get da feeling u 2 r up 2 no good?



Nicky boy, aka: Kaos.’*




They look at each other as if the other was completely insane. Neither knew about the other’s nicknames.



“Nicky Boy? Sunny?”



“We came up with them first period. What about you? Kaos? Bone? Okay, Bone I don’t wanna know, but Kaos?”



“Oh, trust me…he can cause it when he wants to…majorly.”



Ray rolls her eyes. She finishes taking her notes for Geometry. She was eager for class to be over. Lunch was definitely going to be entertaining.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



“Flour.”



“Yeast.”



Jamelet hands the ingredients that were needed to make their bread over to Howie. Her mind was elsewhere. Wondering if there was anyway she could get “Cha-Cha” in “Grease”. She wasn’t much of an actor, but all that role really needed was some extreme dancing skills and she had those. The two teens mixed the dough supplies together silently. It was Home Economics II they were taking, for Home Ec I was how to sew and make clothes, while Home Ec II was how to cook. Their teacher had decided they should start right away.



‘Nah, I won’t get picked’ She thought, ‘only a miracle can get me to become THAT good.’



“Jam?” Howie called, bringing her out of her thoughts.



“What?” she replied, grabbing the yeast and throwing it into the mix distractedly.



“Do you know an AJ McLean?” he asks, grinning playfully.



She laughs, “You mean ‘Crazy Bone’? Of course. He’s one of the best dancers here. Why?”



“Curious. He’s in my U.S. history class this year.”



“Then that I guarantee that class will never be dull.”



“I figured. So you think you’ll get the role of Cha-Cha in Grease? It’ll be cool to work on it with ya since I’m part of the stage crew.”



She flips her brown ponytail over her shoulder; not realizing another ingredient entered their bowl as a result. Howie finishes mixing the items together, and places a towel over it and lets it rise.



“I found out at dance practice last night that all the advanced dancers who aren’t already in the play have to be extras in all the dance scenes. But me, get Cha-cha? Yeah, right, a girl has to be the best dancer in the school to get that role.”



“You ARE the best dancer in the school.”



“You say that because you love me.”



“Whatever you say Jam.” He replies, rolling his eyes.



The two stepsiblings continue to chat about the play as well as whom they thought was going to get the lead roles. That is, until both pairs of tan eyes caught sight of the ever-rising dough spilling over the bowl and continually growing.



“Jamelet…”



“Yeah?”



“Houston, we have a problem. BIG TIME.” He states, pointing at the dough that was now all over the counter in their small kitchen station and still rising.



“Holy Shit! How the hell did this happen?”



“You got me!”



Both begin to hurriedly try to scoop the goop all back into various containers they grabbed. It didn’t really work though, seeing that in their rush they would put too much in a bowl, set it aside and continue with another. The bowl one of them just set down would just rise over again. Their teacher Mrs. Hopkins comes over and she didn’t look happy.



“What happened here?” she demanded, her steel gray eyes skipping about the messy, doughy, kitchen.



They stood there silently, still not sure exactly how the accident happened. Howie speaks up first, “We honestly don’t know. We left it alone to rise and the next thing we know its attack of the killer dough.”



“Did you follow the recipe? Did you put extra yeast in?”



“Yes to number one, no to number two.” They replied.



“Yeah, I put some in so-”



“Wait, you put in D? That can’t be right, cause I-”



Their tan faces lock onto the others in realization. “Oops.” They mutter sheepishly. Mrs. Hopkins shakes her head, chuckling at their mishap, her gray eyes sparkling as her jet black hair flew about her face. The bell rings for fourth period/first lunch. Jamelet and Howie look at her expectantly. She sighs.



“No harm done I suppose. I have a prep period next, so don’t worry about the mess, that’s what janitors are paid for.”



“Thanks.”



“Yeah, really.”



They walk out of the classroom, Howie turns to Jamelet.



“You have first lunch?”



“Nope Government. You?”



“Yeah, cause stage crew is the same period as Adv. Drama fro obvious reasons. Plus yearbooks wants pics of first day stuff.”



They walk down to their lockers, still joking and laughing about the “killer dough”. Neither Jamelet nor Howie ever noticed the young girl watching them intently from across the hall.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Nick, AJ, and Ray Anne all stroll out of their Geometry class as the bell rings. The three of them all had Advanced Drama together forth period, but they had first lunch first.



“So AJ, whatcha planning?” Nick queries curiously.



“You’ll find out eventually.”



The guys talked as Ray Anne becomes lost within her troubling thoughts. Everything was going well so far. People thought she didn’t have a problem in the world. She looks up at the bright blue sky as they walk into the open quad area. It was a beautiful day out.



‘Mom and dad should be enjoying days like this still. Brian and I shouldn’t be alone. I know everything would be better again if they were still here. I can’t believe Brian asked me to be a photographer for the school newspaper. I haven’t taken professional photos since I was a kid. Mom taught me-” she thinks as she feels her curls being tugged at. Ray turns to see Nick grinning sheepishly at her as AJ keeps walking on ahead of them.



“Penny for your thoughts Sunny?”



“Not nearly enough for what I’m thinking.”



“You alright?”



She fakes a smile, “Of course.”



“You sure…” he pursues, his face filled with concern.



“Yeah, don’t worry about it. I’m just thinking.”



“’Bout what?”



“My parents.”



He shudders involuntarily, thinking of his own, “Why, are you gonna see them soon?”



She hesitates, “No…they um…died when…I was thirteen.”



“Oh, I’m sorry,” he embraces her tightly, each enjoying the comfort it gave. “If you ever need to talk, I’m here.”



“Thanks, but I’m cool, really.” They hug again, holding each other blissfully. AJ stops and turns to see them, fuming. Jealousy raged within him, but he tries to brush it aside unsuccessfully. His anger boils against the pupils in the chocolate irises of his eyes.



“Guys! C’mon!”



The two blondes gaze into each other’s deep blue eyes as a silent understanding passes between them. They turn around and catch up to AJ who stares at them intently.



“What?”



“So what are we doing?”



“Yeah Bone, tell us!”



“Fine.” They huddle together, quietly discussing Alex’s idea, their faces filling with excitement. Neither could believe what he had in mind, but they couldn’t wait to put it in action.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Howie enters the noisy cafeteria, preparing to take pictures of people during the first day of school. He notices a large crowd gathering around three tables in the center of the room and goes over to it curiously. Howie hears the beginning notes of “Summer Nights” from the movie/play “Grease” play loudly through the speakers scattered throughout the cafeteria, and gazes up to see AJ McLean, Nick Carter, and a girl he didn’t recognize. She was wearing a light green t-shirt and shorts, and had curly blonde hair. He figured she was new. He pulls out a digital camera that he got from yearbook and begins recording this as a video clip for the CD Rom version of the yearbook after he takes a few pics. In his mind this was too good to miss, especially since it had to have been planned by none other than AJ McLean.



“Summer Luvin, having a blast…” Nick and AJ begin, their voices blending beautifully throughout the cafeteria. All three of them had headsets on so their voices were heard clearly from all the speakers.



“Summer Luvin, happened so fast…” the blonde girl sang, her voice strongly resounding through the room.



The three teens sang the entire song like that together. Each having his or her own unique flair and style, yet it had been a perfect match for that particular tune. The song ends and the students surrounding the tables go wild with appreciation. Nick and the girl step over on top of AJ’s table all bowing as the applause continued. Howie kept on recording, laughing at the scene. The girl and AJ caught sight of Howie and the camera and began posing jokingly. Nick looked away, acting shy and unsure.



“Thank you, thank you! Just trying liven up things up here ya know?” AJ says as the crowd cheers for them.



“Yep, and for y’all who don’t know, I’m new here. Name’s Ray Littrell and I PROMISE that y’all be seeing lots of me this year. Now ladies, I think we ALL know Nick Carter over here.”



The girls all go crazy, screaming madly, slips with phones numbers flying up to the tables, and even a bra with a phone number on it landing atop of Nick’s head.



“Um, thanks, I think.” Nick replies, blushing, pulling the bra and dropping it on the table with the other numbers.



Suddenly the doors burst open and the school police and deans rush in. Dean La Bond leads the way as she pushes her way through the crowd, and glaring at AJ, Nick, and Ray.



AJ spots them saying, “Okay, I think that’s all guys, for I believe our biggest critic, Dean La Bonbons is here to take us off the air.”



The school police get a hold of them, carrying them towards the cafeteria doors and intending to go to the Deans’ office. All of the officials forgetting that they still wore the headsets and the microphones were still on.



“Remember what you saw here!” Ray cries out, “Tell our story! We will not be silenced!”



The students in the cafeteria burst out laughing along with Howie who was recording them being dragged out and yelling. He takes a few more last photos and then the trio is gone.



“Hey, what happened to freedom of speech?” they hear AJ ask, the headsets and speakers still on. “Well, freedom of song anyway.”



Laughter is heard again throughout the room, but the speakers and headsets are then shut off so they could hear no more. The bell rings and everyone starts off for class talking of the incident. In their eyes, AJ McLean, Ray Littrell, and Nick Carter are heroes.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Kevin sits in a seat in the middle of the classroom, knowing that Government wouldn’t be interesting whatsoever. His concert piano class was cool second period though; he met this girl named Ray Anne. She was Brian’s baby sister and extremely talented. She was going to be the one who would be playing the piano during his concert choir class. Speaking of Littrells, he sees Brian come in and take a seat in the desk next to him. Kevin smiles, the boy is fun to sit by when you’re bored, he learned that in his psychology class last period.



“Hi Brian, long time no see.” He jokes.



“Yeah really.” Brian replies laughing.



Just then a petite, stunning girl comes in, with long brunette tresses tied in a low ponytail and wearing a white blouse and black dancer’s skirt. His emerald eyes bore into her as she comes up to him and Brian. His gaze never leaving her.



“Hey Brian.”



“Hello.”



“Who’s this?” Kevin asks, beaming at her.



“Kevin this is Jamelet and vise-versa.”



“So what’s up?” she sits next to Brian, rolling her eyes as she places her dark purple backpack beside Brian's navy blue one.



“Not much, only my roommate. She’s so annoying, a little preppy smartass bitch. Excuse my language; she just makes me so angry!”



Class starts, but none pay much attention. She was just discussing normal first day stuff, nothing important.



“Who is she? Brian may not know her since he’s new, but I might.”



Jamelet leans forward towards Kevin, smiling at him. She fiddles with her hair, tightening her ponytail distractedly.



“Oh…um…Ray something or other…I think.” She waves her hand away as if it was nothing but it had caught Brian’s attention. “She’s just some snobby rich brat who wouldn’t know a REAL problem if it slapped her it the a-”



“Ray Anne Littrell?” Brian interrupts, his azure eyes flashing.



“Yeah! That’s i-”



He rises quickly, not caring what anyone else thought.



“That’s my little sister! How can you say that about her! You know nothing! You don’t even know her!”



Jamelet stands screaming, “Obviously you don’t either if you think she’s perfect! The other day when she first arrived I found her drunk off her a-”



“ENOUGH!” their teacher yelled, “What is the meaning of this?!”



Kevin stands up, moving between Brian and Jamelet and separating them hastily.



“We’re fine, it’s nothing Mrs. Claire.” He assures, trying to cover for his friend.



“I ought to send you all to the office for this outburst. Don’t let it happen again.”



“It won’t.” Kevin promises, gazing at her pleadingly.



“Good, sit so I may continue.”



The three of them sit. Brian and Jamelet glare at each other for a moment, before pulling out their notebooks and writing notes to their friends.



“Oh yes it will.” They both mutter, with each rebelling in their own way.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Ray Anne, Nick, and Alex all hurry out of the Deans’ Office after their lengthy lecture for their “disturbance” in the school cafeteria. Their fourth class had started thirty minutes ago and all were eager to see the casting list for “Grease”. Ray, AJ, and Nick begin running towards the theater the moment they were out of Dean La Bond’s sight.



“What role do you think you’ll get Ray?” AJ asks, performing a cartwheel in front of her playfully.



“Rizzo.” She jumps on Nick’s back. He catches her and starts giving her a piggy back ride there. “What about you Aje?”



“Hopefully Danny.”



“You Nicky Boy?”



“Want Danny, but I’ll get Kenickie, Bone’s a shoo-in for Danny.”



“So are you Kaos.”



“Whatever man.” He says, setting Ray Anne down again when they reach the theater. Rushing through the doors, they go immediately to Ms. Candela. All around the theater students had scripts in their hands and were rehearsing their lines. Nick shudders when he sees a junior with short curly blonde hair and blue eyes, Justin Timberlake. He never did like the guy. He sees Justin eying Ray Anne and glowers at him until he turns away. They check in with Ms. Candela, telling her why they were late and giving her their passes.



“So…” Ray begins, bouncing up and down excitedly, “Where’s the casting list?”



“Against that door Ray Anne,” she says pointing; “But-” it was too late; the trio were already pushing their way to the list. “You need to meet the cast first.” She mutters.



“Oh my gosh!!!” Ray squeals when she sees what role she got.



“HELL YEAH!” AJ yells happily. The two of them begin to do a victory dance together. Not seeing the disappointment spreading across Nick’s face. Ray’s eyes glance at his momentarily and see the sadness embedded in them. She stops to question it but before she could, Ms. Candela calls the class together.



“Okay,” their teacher announces, “this will become a busy production, and we do have deadlines. Much of your free time WILL be spent here. Rehearsals will be immediately after school everyday starting tomorrow.”



The class disperses and Ray Anne, forgetting about Nick, goes to check the list again to see who else she’ll be working with. She knows she’ll love doing this, but doesn’t realize she might’ve bitten off more than she could chew when it came to AJ and Nick.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Brian and Kevin sit at a table outside the cafeteria. They had second lunch together, leaving both a tad annoyed that neither of their younger siblings had it with them. Although they did hear of the stunt they had pulled with Nick Carter and neither of them were surprised.



“Brian, what was that about with Jamelet?”



“Well, you met my sister second period, so you know she’s nice. I know I may have overreacted, but she’s been through a lot Jamelet doesn’t know about. She doesn’t need that from her. I hate the fact that Jamelet judged Annie like that.”



Kevin pats his newfound friend on the back supportively. “It’s okay man, but you’ve gotta let her fight her own battles.”



Brian nods, “I know. I guess its just habit to protect her anymore.”



Jamelet walks up to them slowly, looking away shamefacedly.



“What do you want?” Brian demands coldly.



“Listen Brian, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that Ray was your sister. I don't like her, but I should keep that stuff to myself. Friends?”



He grins, “Of course. We need to finish eating though. I wanna check the casting list during lunch.”



“Why?”



“I tried out because I lost a bet with Nick. I kinda wanna know if I made it.”



Kevin throws away their trash, brushing off his hands. “Does Ray Anne know?”



“Nope. Didn’t want to get her hopes up.”



“Cool. Let’s go. I want to see if I’m a good enough dancer to get Cha-Cha.”



The three seniors stand up and start heading towards the theater. The fight long forgotten as new friendships begin to unfold.
The Darkness Within by Rose
A/N- Hey people, wow, it’s been awhile. At least it has been for me. Sorry about the delay, I’ve been having a REALLY bad earache lately, so it kind of delayed me. So here is the long awaited chapter! I hope you like it. Let me know what you think, PLEASE read and review!



“Lost Souls”



~**Chapter 6: The Darkness Within



Ray Anne and Brian Littrell sit in the back of their sixth period class, creative writing. Both Littrells are looking forward to the class since they like expressing themselves artistically in any way possible and figure this will be no different. Also, it is the one class they have where it’s only the two of them. Unlike Concert Choir, when they had each other along with: Kevin, AJ, Nick, and a friend Ray Anne made in her drama class, Howie. Ray and Brian are eager to find out about the other’s day. Ray Anne twirls her hair nervously as she gazes at her brother, her cerulean eyes sparkling.



“So, Annie how was your ‘performance’ in the cafeteria today. It’s all over school. First day and you’re already famous. I ain’t surprised though.”



Ray grins at him wildly, “Interesting to say the least. Fun, crazy, exciting, to say more. What’s not to like about that bro?”



“Rumor has it that there was some chemistry between you three that was more than friendly. I saw what Howie recorded on his digital camera and I kinda have ta agree. What’s going on? Who you gonna pick?”



“As of now you mean? Neither.”



Brain looks at her incredulously, expecting her to say she’ll pick Nick. He saw them this morning, he saw the chemistry then, but had stayed quiet about it. “Really now?”



Ray Anne sighs, running her hands through her honeydew curls. “ Well, it’s not that I don’t like either of them. I do. In fact I like both of them…A LOT.”



Her sibling gazes at her pointedly, “But…”



“BUT I want to actually get ta know them, and have them actually get to know me before anything starts, ya know? I mean, I’ve been hurt by guys WAY too many times in the past. I’m just so tired of guys only liking me because of my looks. I want them to like me for the REAL Ray Anne Littrell. I-I’m so tired of being used like that Rok. I don’t think I can take it if it happens again.” She whispers sensitively, her voice wavering with overwhelming sadness and despair.



Brian nods, smiling sympathetically at his sister. She’s been through a lot and it hurts him to know that he can’t protect her anymore like he used to. She’s been hurting and he wonders if she’ll ever be able to get past it. He leans out of his chair; quickly hugging Ray while their teacher’s back is turned and still talking of first day crap. He’s just hoping that Nick and AJ will be smart enough to wait when it comes to his Annie, otherwise ray Anne’s wrath will ensue upon them. He won’t be able to stop it, and it DEFINITELY won’t be pretty. His eyes catch sight of Ray’s melancholy face again and hastily changes the subject in an attempt to cheer her up.



“Ray Anne Littrell, you’ve just won the role of Sandy in the musical ‘Grease’, what are you gonna do next?” he jokes, holding a pen towards her as if it is a microphone.



Ray takes the pen, smiling weakly. “Ask my oh so loving brother of mine when he was planning on telling me he even tried out! Let alone landed the role of Putsie!”



Brian rolls his baby blue orbs at her teasingly. “Hey it was a bet I made with Nick earlier that day and lost. Who knew that I’d actually get a part? Especially Putsie for that matter.”



She shakes her head, “Bri, Bri, Bri! You’ve gotta have more faith in yourself! Didn’t you see how impressed Mrs. Bakko was last period when she pulled us aside for singing rehearsals since we’re all in the play and she’s supposed to help run it? I’m only a student aide in there so I can play piano for y’all, not sing!”



“Singing runs in the family, remember?”



Ray’s already small smile shrinks a little more, almost disappearing completely. “Oh…yeah.”



Brian hits himself mentally, ‘Oh that has to be the worst timing in the world. REAL smart. She’s already feeling down, so lets make it worse! Just great. Good going Littrell.’ He changes the subject yet again for his sensitive baby sister.



“So Annie?”



“Yeah?”



“Are you gonna try out for the talent show? You should, you’re too good not to. Tryouts are this Saturday and the show is the Saturday after.”



“Oh, hell ya.” Ray cries, her gentle face beginning to glow excitedly.



“Really? Great sis, cause I’m gonna do it too.”



“Oh yeah. Let me tell you what I’ve got planned for my act…”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Nick and AJ start walking over to their American Literature class, laughing at a joke that AJ had just told. Alex and nick both smile widely, and to everyone else they seem to be in high spirits. AJ stares at Nick’s carefree face enviously, for he can’t feel the same way. He has too many problems running through his mind. Problems that no sixteen year old should be worrying about the way he is. Unfortunately, AJ has no other option. This is his life. No matter how much he wants to change it he can’t. That’s why he hates it so much.



‘I wonder how mom is. She’s probably high or drunk somewhere. I hope those idiots haven’t come by to make more bets with her, or sell her more drugs. Damn, either way I need to get a new job. One that’s really close by. Hell what am I gonna do? How am I going to be able to do the play? I have to work as much as I can so Kevin can take a break sometimes and not have to worry so much. He’s eighteen but he acts like he’s thirty instead most of the time. But we have to pay our bills soon since MOM won’t do it!!! Damn. Why can’t I have a normal teen’s life? Look at Nick, he’s so happy, why can’t I be him? God, what did I do to deserve this? Dammit I hate being me’ he thinks in complete despair, running his hands along his yellow wifebeater and black baggy shorts. He glances at Nick, whose young face seems to be filled with light. But if AJ could hear Nick’s thoughts, see Nick’s dreams, he might realized that maybe Nick’s life isn‘t so great after all.



Nick keeps smiling; he forces himself to even though it does not reflect what he’s actually feeling. He’s trying his hardest to hide the disappointment residing within him for only getting ‘Kenickie’ in the play. Although he told everyone that he expected to get that, he had had his hopes set high on getting ‘Danny’. Especially now that he knows that Ray Littrell is going to be ‘Sandy’. The biggest opportunity he had to make the first move without feeling too nervous, gone.



‘Maybe mom and dad are right about me. I’m NOT talented at all, so what am I doing here? Today’s only the first day so it’s not too late to transfer to a public school and live back at home again. I mean, why bother doing something I’m not even good at?’ He thinks as his forest green cell phone rings shrilly from one of his jean pockets, but by the time he answered, the person has already hung up.



“Who was it?” AJ asks calmly.



“Don’t know, they hung up. But the person left a message on my voice mail, so hold on for a sec, kay?”



“Sure.”



They both go over to the side, leaning up against AJ’s locker as Nick goes to his voice mail to listen to the message. Much to Nick’s delight, it was Ray.



“Uh…um, hey Nick. It’s me, um Ray Anne. Are you okay? You seemed a little down earlier today. Anywhoooo…, I’m SO happy that you got Kenickie. Congrats! That role is completely perfect for you. Are we still on for tonight? Cause we need to go out and celebrate Nicky boy! I can’t believe we’re all gonna work together, Alex told me Kevin has a small role as the singing teen angel, and I found out Brian got Putsie. Plus Howie’s stage manager. Won’t that be a blast? You’re an amazing singer and actor. You HAVE TO try out for the talent show on Saturday with me and Bri, he’s the one who gave me your number. Hehe. My cell is 364-3949, give it to AJ too, and call me! Later Nicky boy!”



“So who was it Kaos?”



Nick flashes a genuine smile. “Just Ray.” He replies shyly.



“Cool.”



His mind wanders off again, thinking of what he wants, and what his parents want for him.



‘No, I’m staying here.’ He decides firmly. ‘If I did work for dad’s law firm would I be happy? NO. It doesn’t matter anymore if I’m talented or not. No matter what, I WILL keep acting, singing, painting and drawing. Those things are a part of me. Those are the things I live for. My joy in life. Nothing will keep me from staying here this year.’



“Oh Nick? Nick? Nickolas Gene Carter! You there buddy?” Alex questions, waving his hand in front of Nick’s face; bringing him out of his thoughts.



“Oh, yeah J?” he replies quickly as the bell unexpectedly rings, signaling the beginning of sixth period.



“C’mon,” AJ tells him, throwing an arm around his friend’s shoulders as they begin to walk through the now empty hallway. “Let’s go, we’re late enough as it is, and I don’t feel like making another visit to the office again.”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Howie Dorough smirks as he watches Nick and AJ stumble rapidly into their American Lit. class ten minutes late. He stifles a laugh as AJ comes up with the wildest excuse he’s ever heard. It doesn’t surprise him whatsoever when their teacher, Mr. Guston shakes his head, giving them a quick lecture and not buying the excuse at all, before telling them to go take a seat. AJ catches sight of Howie in a seat in the back. He runs over, dragging Nick along with him.



“Hey D.” Nick greets timidly, looking down at the ground again. Howie groans inwardly, Nick was a great kid, but he needs to stop being so self-conscious and gain some faith in himself.



“Hey Nick.” He turns his head slightly towards AJ. “Wow McLean, are you stalking me now?”



Alex rolls his eyes at him, grinning slightly. “YES! Oh, I’ve gotta confess Howie. I’m like, totally in love with you! I’ve been following you all my life. You’re like totally my idol.” He says, mimicking those obsessive fans he always hears about on MTV. Those girls always amaze him. He just can get why they obsess so much over some gay, talentless, boyband



Howie chuckles gently as yet another teacher begins to talk of the extremely dull class expectations and rules. He glances over at Nick and AJ and is glad he has those two to keep him entertained all class period.



“So anything interesting happen today guys?”



“Nah, not really.”



“Nope.”



“What about the show you put on today? Is there something between one of you guys and that new chick? She’s pretty cute and both of you looked pretty comfortable when you were with her. Ya know what I mean?”



Nick runs his fingers over his silver dolphin charm anxiously; trying to hide the gigantic crush he had on Ray Anne Littrell. “Oh you mean Ray?” He tries to answer nonchalantly.



“Yeah, the student aide who played the piano and had to sing with all the main Grease cast members last period in choir. She’s nice.”



AJ’s face brightens up immensely. “You do mean ray, she’s the one who was doing the victory dance in drama when she saw she’s going to play Sandy.”



“That’s her. From what I’ve heard around school today, both of you are planning to ask her out. This only shocked me cause little Nick has yet to ask a girl out from out mostly stuck up selection of girls. Is my info correct? Or is it about time I start looking for new sources?”



Nick and Alex glance swiftly at each other, then back at Howie. They seem to have a look of indecision before shaking their heads enthusiastically.



“Nope, Ray’s just a buddy right now.”



“Yeah man, bone and I only met her the other day.”



“BUT-I might ask her out soon enough. She’s a cool girl to hang out with.”



“Then it’s safe to assume that the infamous Bone will strike again?”



“But of course.” AJ jokes in a fake, snobby, French accent.



“Figures.”



“But how do you know she’ll say yes? You barely know her dude.” Nick demands, his soft ocean eyes now fiery and with a little irritation hidden within his voice. His jealousy now beginning to shine through.



‘Great. For the first time, Nick is finally beginning to get the guts to ask out a girl who’ll probably say yes, and AJ wants the same one. Terrific. This school year is gonna get interesting. Especially since I’m in going to be stuck in the same class with both of them if those two end up fighting.’ Howie realizes as he notices that AJ’s eyes aren’t peaceful like they usually are.



“Because, I’m fun, bold, and daring Kaos. From what I’ve seen so far, it appears as if she really likes that in a guy.”



The two buddies stare at each other intently. Their eyes blazing with annoyance and irritation; both starting to size up their competition. Howie doesn’t understand why they’re getting all mad about a girl they hardly knew. He doesn’t get it, shouldn’t they get to know her first before fighting over her?



“So, guys what are your plans for later?” Howie questions, breaking the heavy silence between them.



‘Well,’ Howie muses as Nick tells him of the plans he and ray made to go clubbing with a group of friends and invites him and AJ to go with them. ‘The battle begins. Let the best man win. I just hope Ray Anne and even her brother, Brian are okay with this. I’ve noticed that Brian’s WAY protective over her. Plus, what if she doesn’t agree with this? If she’s not, God help them both. There’s nothing worse that a female’s wrath over two guys who treat her like an object instead of a person. And with what they’re gonna do, they’ll deserve it. Well, looks like this year ain’t gonna be boring anymore.’



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Jamelet groans angrily as she watches students enter the room from her desk in the Modern Lit. class. She knew she shouldn’t have gotten out of bed this morning. This day officially stunk. It was just plain…bad. It can’t get worse, and there is no way it can get better. How can it? She likes Brian Littrell. He’s a nice guy, and someone she can trust, and see herself being friends with. But, as always, there’s a catch. He’s Ray Anne’s older brother. The roommate that she’s stuck with and hates with a fiery passion is HIS BABY SISTER. Oh, and it gets better. She also stupidly insults Ray Anne ignorantly, and Brian flips out, getting all brotherly protective over her. Yeah, she apologized, but she’s still annoyed about the whole thing. She doesn’t think she had to. Talk about bad karma.



Speaking of unfair things, she then hears about how cool Ray Anne is and how everyone loves her because of the stunt she pulled in the cafeteria with Nick Carter and AJ McLean. Nick Carter and AJ McLean! Those two are like celebrities at the Bright Sky School Of The Arts for their incredible talents and good looks, and for AJ it’s also cause of the shenanigans he pulls. Plus there hasn’t been a girl yet who’s caught Nick’s eye until Ray came along. Then AJ is all buddy-buddy with her, he cool, but is usually very picky with his friends and it takes him awhile. But, she guesses that Ray is the exception. Why is that some girls have all the luck? Some people can just have everything.



She sees Kevin Richardson stroll into the room then. She knows that he’s AJ’s older brother, but has never met him until government class today. She had only heard about him from AJ during their dance team practices. Her tan orbs follow his suave, handsome, face, staring into his deep jade eyes.



“Hey Jamelet.”



She feels her face begin to flush and tries to smile casually. “Oh…um….hi.” she falters.



Kevin sits down beside her slowly, his face blissfully bright. She turns her head away, trying to stop her constant staring.



“So, whatcha doing?”



“Not much.”



Kevin turns away shyly, seeming nervous and unsure.



“Um…I don’t know if you wanna do this…but um…”



“What?” Jamelet pursues.



“Well, what I mean is…do you want to go see a movie with me this Saturday? I’d say tonight, but me and the other fellas are going out, and Ray Anne’s coming along. I know you don’t like her, but I do an I don’t want you two to end up fight-”



“You’re babbling.” She interrupts, giggling softly.



Kevin grins sheepishly. “Oops. Sorry.”



“It’s okay. I have tryouts for the talent show Saturday, but after that I’m free, so I’d love to go see a movie with you. When do you wanna meet?”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Ray grumbles as she trudges furiously into the dance studio, which was at the south end of the school gym. She had no clue on how she ended up in this class. Unless she was in a musical, dancing just isn’t her thing. Worst of all, she has to wait THREE WEEKS before they’ll be willing to let her drop the class for a different one. She grabs the dance uniform issued to her, black stretchy dancing pant and a Bright Sky Dance shirt, stomping off to the girls’ locker room. She can’t believe it, she hates dancing like this. It’s not her. She changes rapidly, and hurries back to the dance room, bursting through the doors and accidentally rams one of the doors into someone and knocking her down in the process.



“Oh, I’m-”



“Why don’t you watch where you’re going Littrell!” Jamelet hollers at her, brushing off her dance uniform as she got back up.



“Look, I’m sorry alright?! Stop being such a damn drama queen and let it go!”



“I’M a drama queen? Why? Because YOU rammed the door into me purposely! I think I have the right to get mad about that!”



“It was a freaking accident Jamelet! Get over it already!” Ray Anne shouts, a crowd beginning to gather around them since their teacher hasn’t entered the room yet.



“What is with you? Do you actually think you can do no wrong?”



“NO! You’re the one who’s constantly been on my case since I moved to the dorms!”



“At least I don’t get my ass drunk 24/7.”



Ray Anne froze, her heart beating rapidly, her eyes glowering at Jamelet. “WHAT did you say?”



“You heard me.”



Ray seethes, her last nerve finally beginning to snap as she strains to control herself, but it failing miserably. “I don’t do that either.” She growls fiercely through her clenched teeth.



“Oh really? What about that bottle of-”



“OKAY! That’s enough guys!” AJ screams, forcing his way through the mob of people. He stands between the two fuming girls, trying to end it before their dance coach, Mrs. Jackson, comes in and sends them all to the Deans’ Office for fighting. Alex sighs, he doesn’t know about them, but one lecture from La bonbons is plenty enough for one day.



“Shut up Bone! Why are you trying to help an ALCOHOLIC anyway?!”



The crowd gasps in shock and they all begin to stare at Ray with disgust. Jamelet smiles, the rumor has started, so the damage is done, no matter what Ray tries to do to fix it.



“Alcoholic!” Ray bellows, “That’s it! It’s on now.” She tries furiously to push past Alex to get to Jamelet, but AJ just pushes her back.



“Enough.” He whispers in her ear. “Do you REALLY wanna go see Dean La bonbons again today?”



She shakes her head. “No.”



He leads her away silently as the crowd disperses and Jamelet goes to sit on the other side of the room, smirking softly. Ray and Alex both sit on the floor cross-legged and facing each other just as Mrs. Jackson enters the room and introduces herself. Then she begins the warm-up exercises with the class.



“What’s with you?” AJ questions as they both begin stretching their legs.



“HER. What else?”



“But Jam’s cool. I know her pretty well. We’ve been on the advanced dance team together for two years now.”



“Then I don’t know. She judges me without even TRYING to get to know me first. It pisses me off J.”



“Well relax. This is our last class for the day and then we can go have some fun clubbing. This way we can leave our problems behind us.”



“Yeah, maybe you’re right.” She replies softly as they stand with the rest of the class and watch Mrs. Jackson begin to show the beginning of a dance routine that was going to be used in ‘Grease’.



“Of course I’m right.”



“Who needs the drama anyway!” she cheers, starting to mimic the dance steps in an attempt to master them.



‘Too bad the drama won’t leave me alone and let me try to be happy.’ She thinks gloomily and tries to get through class so she can run down to Brian and finally be able to be herself and take off the she leaves on for the rest of the world to see.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Nick drums his fingers along the table, getting bored as his talks on and on about stupid stuff like what they’ll be required to bring to class every day. He glances over at the teenage girl sitting next to him at his table and sighs. He doesn’t know a single soul in this class. He felt a little lost. He had expected this however, because he doesn’t know anyone who’s into art the way he is. He tries again to listen to the art teacher, Mr. Costell, but his mind ends up drifting off again. Onto things that he likes. Like on Ray Anne Littrell. He lies her, but has no idea on how to tell her that. He runs his fingers over his bright blue sleeveless shirt, trying to think of a way to tell her.



‘Maybe I just shouldn’t tell her.’ He considers seriously. ‘She probably likes AJ more than me anyway.’



Of course, it has to be AJ. He’s always the one who’s a hit with the ladies; hence the reason he’s called Bone. He hopes he’ll be able to snag Ray away long enough to dance when they all go clubbing tonight. Maybe then he can ask her out on a date. Or maybe-



“Boring class isn’t it?” a young feminine voice, coming from the seat next to him, breaks into his thoughts.



“Huh?”



“This class is boring. I mean, it’s hard trying to keep myself from daydreaming.”



“Yeah, me too.” Nick says, grinning and turning towards her, his ocean eyes beginning yo take in her delicate features.



She is pale with long golden locks and impish blue-green eyes along with a playful smile. She looks to only be about fifteen, yet there is a strength, or fire within her that made him consider otherwise. She’s wearing a baggy light purple t-shirt and navy jean flares. The girl is natural, no make-up or anything else fake about her. Yet, that isn’t what catches Nick’s attention. It’s the silver necklace she wore about her neck much like the one he’s wearing around his own neck. The only difference is instead of the dolphin charm he has on his, hers is a bright silver heart with a dazzling opal sparkling in the middle of it. He smiles, there is something about her that makes him want to trust her. He has no idea what it is, but decides to go with his gut instinct.



“Hi. I’m Nick. Nick Carter.”



“Anastay Lorden.”



“Nice to meet you Ana.”



“You too Nick.”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Brian and Ray Anne Littrell beam as they walk into ‘The Enforcer’ together, a club for people twenty-one and over, but Nick has a friend who had let them in. The pop music beats loudly throughout the place, the people swarming all over each other on the dance floor, dancing crazily. Ray gazes back behind her at the rest of the group: Nick, AJ, Kevin, and Howie and is ecstatic that she’s the only female within the group. AJ grabs her arm quickly and leads her straight down to dance. Both begin dancing to the beat wildly.



**“Hey Mr. DJ, keep playing this song for me! Out on the floor in my arms, she’s gotta be! Let’s get it on, jam all night long, Mr. DJ! Mr. DJ! Play it for me.” Ray sings along with the song in tune, trying to avoid conversation.



AJ looks at her in disbelief. “You actually know this song?”



“Yep. Didn’t I tell you I like pop music?” Ray says nodding.



“No. I didn’t think you’d be the type to like to like it.”



“What’s that supposed to mean?”



“Never mind.”



“Whatever.”



The song ends, a slow one coming on next. Ray looks about the club, trying to find her brother as she dances with Alex snugly. She does NOT like where this is going. Ray really doesn’t want to give him mixed signals, especially this soon, but it’s starting to become difficult for her. She knows however, that there is no way that she’s getting in a relationship with him or Nick this soon. Not until they get to know each other. Her eyes light up suddenly when they land upon Nick who was drinking up at the bar. He sees he and looks at her quizzedly, wondering what was going on. He sways to the soft melody as ray shifts her eyes on AJ and mouths ‘help me’ to him. Nick nods, getting up and begins shoving his way to her on the dance floor.



“Hey Bone, may I cut in?”



AJ breaks away from her and Ray hugs AJ for a moment and says they can dance again later. Alex smiles, but his frustration is clearly written upon his face as he goes over to the bar.



The two blondes leave the dance floor, drinking and talking till the slow song ended. Ray’s careful to stay away from the alcohol, she didn’t need to enforce Jamelet’s vicious rumor. Plus, she’ll drink privately, where Jamelet can’t prove it. Another fast paced tune begins to play and Ray Anne quickly pulls Nick onto the dance floor with her.



“I love this song, so dance with me Nicky Boy.”



“Yeah, so do I.” Nick mummers, his speech slightly slurred. Ray then realizes he’s totally drunk and thinks that she’ll probably have to drive him home later. But for now she decides to just have some fun and figure it out later.



They dance together for several songs; taking breaks every once in awhile, then getting back up to dance again. The rest of the group hung out with them, but nick only had eyes for Ray and Ray inadvertently only had eyes for Nick.



“So Sunny, are you fr-”



“Hey.” AJ interrupts, pushing himself between them, clearly drunk. “May I cut in Nick? Ray promised me another dance.”



Nick glares at him angrily, the alcohol beginning to affect his already quick temper. “No J, you’re completely wasted.” He slurs.



Ray Anne sighs sadly, “So are you Nick.”



“C’mon Kaos I just wanna dance with her. It’s not like you’d ever be able to keep her happy any-”



Nick stops him, slamming one of his fists directly into Alex’s face. AJ tackles him and both boys begin fighting roughly immediately. They keep at it, punching and kicking each other wildly. Brian, Kevin, and Howie see the commotion and run over. Brian pulls his sister away, embracing her tightly. Kevin and Howie dive right into the fight, pulling apart the feuding friends. Howie hold AJ back, while Kevin’s holding back Nick. Security finally arrives, telling them they had to leave right away or else they’d be arrested, but they leave the club peacefully. The moment they7 get out to the parking lot where their cars are parked though, Kevin blows a gasket.



“WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT!? YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN FRIENDS FOR YEARS! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU TWO FIGHT?!”



Neither of them responds, they see Ray Anne there in her brother’s arms, her face neutral and without emotion. They have no idea what she might be feeling or thinking, so both decide no to say it in front of her.



“Fine, don’t tell. I know Annie knows but we all need to hear it from you two first.” Brian spits out furiously.



“You two are too wasted to drive. Ray, here’s Nick’s keys to his jeep, please drive him back. I’ll drive mine and Alex’s car, but Brian can you please take Alexander James back in your car? I’m seeing red when it comes to him right now, so he won’t be very safe alone with me.” he pauses, running his hands through his black spikes with frustration. Both Littrells nod with agreement. “Okay then. We’re out past dorm curfew so sneak in quietly. What ever you do, DON’T GET CAUGHT with our two drunks here. Let’s go.”
Startling Events by Rose
A/N- Hey, It’s been a long time, I know. I just got out of school a week ago, and I was busy with finals and such. Thanks to everyone who volunteered and if you are not in this chapter, you will most likely be entered in other chapters. Here’s the chapter, and I hope you enjoy it! Read and Review please!



“Lost Souls”



“Don’t hold back and always know all the answers will unfold. What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar.” – ‘Soar’ by Christina Aguilera



~**Chapter 7: Unexpected Events



Jamelet sighs contentedly as she enters her dorm room and flops on her bed. She’s a little tired from the talent show tryouts and beams. She’s so glad that her roommate was gone. Ray Anne had to go down to the main theater for rehearsals. She was excited that she’s going to play Cha-cha, but she only has to show on Wednesday’s and Thursdays to practice her part. Jamelet gazes around aimlessly. It’s nice for her to have the room to herself for once, and she’s looking forward to a nice, relaxing weekend. That, and her date with Kevin that is. She can’t wait till she goes tonight. She pictures his handsome face in her mind, anxious to go already. The phone then begins to ring, interrupting her thoughts. Jamelet jumps up, running to the phone. She answers it immediately, thinking it might be Kevin, it isn’t.



“Hello? Oh…uh…hi Randall. Yes, I’m alone…NO! You stay away form here you as-…um…n-n-no. Don’t! Stay away from him!…Why do you always have to involve Howie?…” She sniffles, choking down a sob. “Fine…Whatever! Just don’t hurt him again…alright…bye.”



Jamelet hangs up the phone heatedly, slamming it down on her bed. The hurting teen pushes her head into a pillow and begins to cry fearfully. A little while later, she raises her head back up.



“He’s coming.” She says to herself in a hoarse whisper, “It’s going to happen again. I can’t even stop it damn it! This is why I want to leave! You were wrong Howie!” She screams, tears running down her face. “You were so wrong.”



She paces about the room not sure how much more of this she can take. She hates being alive, but is too scared of dying. She laughs with bitter irony, for she had lost faith in God about eight years ago. She laughs at what people think is her “Perfect Life”. People believe she has no reason to be bitter so they judge her. If they only know how wrong their perception of her is. She may be well off money wise for her mother is the owner of a large chain of shopping malls, but that’s the only area she’s well off in. She gave up on her dreams of becoming a professional dancer years ago, she only does it now as an excuse to get of her hell of a home. Her defensiveness is to protect herself. She feels she can trust no one. Unknowingly, she’s a lot like Ray, and that might just be why she hates her. The only one who she has faith in is her stepbrother Howie. No one else. Not her mother or her joke of a stepfather. No one else.



‘Yeah, perfect life.’ She ponders sarcastically. “Great life, gorgeous and happy family. Too bad I have no idea of what any of that feels like.’



To her, the word family is a joke. One she knows her family doesn’t have clue of the meaning. It starts with her birth father, whom she’s never even met. He took off while she was still within her mother’s womb. Her mother then raises her alone as a single mother, but eventually remarries to Jonathan Dorough when Jamelet is about eight. He moves in their home along with his seven-year-old son, Howie Dorough. He doesn’t stick around for long. Eight months later, he leaves and ditches the three of them. He leaves little Howie with his stepfamily with no intent to return. She whimpers in despair at the troubling memories. It is so sickening. How wrong is that? To leave a child with a family that isn’t even his really, that he barely knows, knowing that you will never come back for him? Howie tries to forget about it though. He always acts as if his life is perfect, but Jamelet knows better. She knows he’ll break eventually, and when he does, she’ll be there for him. Jamelet fingers her necklace distractedly. It was a silver chain with a pendent, which was a flame with a diamond sparkling in the center of it. Howie had one too; only his was a brain with and amethysts stone in the center. They both were a gift from her mom when they each turned thirteen.



The teen girl rubs her eyes, not wanting to drift down memory lane any further. Yet, the memories keep on coming. Soon after she turned ten, and Howie was nine, the day that the two of them will forever loathe arrives. The day her mother elopes with Randal Quesada. A man worse than her previous fathers could ever dream of being. This one stuck around, but she wishes he didn’t. He did the cruelest thing possible, he ruined her life. Destroyed when he started taking advantage of her sexually soon after he moved in. if she ever resisted he’d beat her stepbrother to a bloody pulp. Also, they both know if they ever tell anyone, they end up dead and mutilated in a ditch somewhere.



Her mother knows what’s going on, but will keep on denying it until the day she dies for the harsh reality is too much for her. However, she started sending both Jamelet and Howie away to live-in private schools when she was eleven and he was ten. Showing her, that she’s at least attempting to protect them. It doesn’t do any good though. Her mother is always away on business trips. He always finds her. Now he’s coming to the school for her and have her for his pleasure at a nearby hotel.



The worst thing is, is that she’s going to let him do it so she can protect Howie. Blood or no blood, to her he’s still her baby brother. The threat of death always looms above them as a result of their perverted stepfather. She sits back down onto her bed, and stares at the silent phone. Jamelet knows she has to, and regrets it. She shudders, feeling incredibly dirty. She feels tears running down her face as she picks up the phone to call Kevin. There’s no way she can go through with their date now.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Ray Anne saunters through the halls calmly from the secondary theater with Brain down to the main theater. They head in, with Brian planning on meeting up with Nick and AJ inside. The two long-time friends still weren’t talking after their unexpected fight in the club. She still pretty steamed at them, and also very disappointed. They hadn’t even bothered to get to know her and they were already fighting over her as if she was a piece of land or something. She talks to them, barely. When she does, they could cut a knife through the tension emanating from her. She stops thinking about it when she suddenly catches sight of a familiar person with a head of short curly blonde hair.



“Na, it can’t be.’ She convinces herself.



Brian looks at her oddly, running a hand through his reddish blonde locks. “Are you okay?” he asks, tugging on one of her golden curls to get her attention.



“Yep. Look there’s Nick…” She trails off as she hears him screaming and begins to see him shoving the guy she spotted earlier.



“Oh shit.” Brian groans as they run over and see him throwing punches at someone who looks oddly familiar to them.



“Fuck you Timberlake!” Nick shouts as the two of them arrive and hold him back.



“Carter just back off dammit!” the guy yells back.



“What the hell Nick!” Ray cries out painfully, her heart almost breaking.



“This doesn’t involve you Ray Anne.”



“The Hell it doesn’t involve me! I’m your friend!”



Brain pulls Nick aside as the story begins to spill from nick’s mouth. Ray had caught the guy’s attention and Nick got pissed. But the guy claimed it was innocent. His heart begins to pound when his sister begins to walk over, she didn’t need this. She turns though when she hears someone say, “Holy crap! BB?” out of nowhere.



She froze; she hasn’t gone by that name since she was in the sixth grade.



Nick looks over, noticing that Ray Anne paused. ‘What the hell?’ he asks himself.



She examines the curly blonde haired kid who had called her BB carefully. She stares into his bright sapphire eye, thinking of another who had a curly head of hair that she knew back in junior high. One who called her ‘Baby Brat’ which had been shortened to BB after awhile, and who was her best friend. One who had moved and whose mother made him loose contact when they were fourteen, right after her parents had died. She realizes then that they are one in the same.



“No freaking way! Ju-Ju? “ Ray exclaims, her face filling with joy and shock.



“Man, I can’t believe it’s you girl!” he shouts as they hug each other excitedly. Both Brian and Nick head over. Brian sneers at the irony of it. Of all the people for Nick to hate, it has to be the guy who used to be his and Ray’s closest friend. And once again Nick was overreacting. It was innocent; Justin was staring at her because he thought he recognized her. He’s never date her. They were too much like brother and sister to each other to date.



“JT, it’s great to see ya man.” He says, smiling.



“You too B-Rok.”



“Life’s insane bro.”



“You got that right, here’s the proof.” The two guys hug briefly, happy to see each other.



“Wow, Justin, you look so different. You grew, I remember when I was five inches above your ass.”



Justin smirks, “Yeah, I think you shrunk cause now both BB and I tower over your short self.”



The three laugh softly as Nick stands there, his ocean eyes bearing into Justin Timberlake. Justin glares back at him. If looks could kill, they’d both be dust. Both pairs of dark blues flare with fury.



“”You guys know him?” they both spit out simultaneously.



“Yeah. Nicky boy, you just don’t know.” she wraps her arm around Justin as he wraps his around her. “See, Bri and I have known Ju-Ju here since we were in elementary school. Before his mom became rich with the ‘Timber clothing line’. He’s our best friend.”



Brian sees the hurt look on Nick’s face and jumps in. “And Justin, Frack here is a new close friend of ours. I met him when we became roommates.”



Nick mumbles a string of curses, annoyed at this chain of events. He gazes at the elated Littrells. “Listen, I’m gonna go see if I can patch things up with Bone. Bye.” He then rushes away furiously before Ray Anne or Brian can reply.



“So Ju-Ju I take it you took don’t get along well.”



“Nope. The guy has a major attitude problem, has had ever since I met him in Choir freshman year.” He replies, shaking his head.



Brian watches Nick in despair, feeling guilty. “JT I’ll see you later. Annie, I’m going to go try to calm Nick down.”



She nods, “Good idea.”



“It’s cool. We’ll talk later Rok.”



Brian hurries after his friend, thankful that his friend was still kind and understanding and not wanting to hear him bash Nick any longer.



“So what are you doing here ray? Last I heard, you were still living with your uncle.”



“We’re here on scholarship. Wow, we really need to catch up on a lot. What are you doing after rehearsals?” she asks, watching one of the dance classes practice the steps for the play on stage.



“Not much, how bout we get together and go down to Backstreet. You know, that local club off of El Campo and Missy Lane? We used to go there all the time.”



“Okay, but why there?”



Justin grins impishly, “So we can show this off.”



Justin scoops her up, making her squeal within his arms. He does a few swing dance moves, and she quickly catches on. She forgets about where they are and the people there and only concentrates on the dance. She smiles as she swings her body gracefully around him with the guidance of his arms and the under his legs. She begins giggling ads they keep on going like they did when they were kids while someone turns on some old music. They used to be a dance team prodigy within their city, and her dad always encouraged her. So when he died, she stopped all other types of dancing which is why she doesn’t want to take dance. But when she tried out for Grease the dance teacher noticed her, said she signed her up; saying she had talent and potential. She forgets all of this though for those few moments. The music soon stops and he sets her down carefully, both tired. The two teens then notice the crowd that had gathered around them and they begin to applaud for them appreciatively. They walk to the back of the theater, sitting down tiredly.



Ray giggles, still a little out of breath. “I see you’re still taking Mrs. Carvettelle’s dance and gymnastics class.”



“Yes I am, Baby Brat. Now it’s only on Friday’s. What about you? You still there on Tuesday’s?”



“Every week babe, why wouldn’t I be? Anywho, how’s the life of the rich and famous?”



Justin rolls his bright blue eyes playfully, “Not as great as it seems, trust me.”



“Okay, I need Ray Anne, Nick, AJ, and the other pink ladies and T-birds up here for the run through of this scene!” She hears Ms. Candela call out. She shifts her azure eyes back to her friend. “Hey, I’ve gotta go up there. Meet me at my dorm room at about 8:00 PM and we’ll go to Backstreet from there. I’m in 3b.”



Justin embraces her tightly. “Alright, now go teach these snobs a thing or two.”



She grins as she head off to the stage, along with AJ who was coming from the opposite end of the theater. Nick watches them as he walk over to the stage. The jealousy blazes within him as he glowers over at Justin. He goes up the stairs to the stage angrily as his cerulean eyes unknowingly begin to glow and rain begins to pour outside the theater as a hidden result.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Eighteen-year-old Julia strolls back towards her dorm room from dance practice, humming happily. Her shoulder length dark reddish brown hair tied back in a bun, her navy blue leotard flattering to her thin and darkly tanned athletic frame. She smirks as she sees Ray Anne almost skipping down the halls. She met Ray, AJ and Nick in Drama class, and got to know them better during lunch and her dance class with Ray and AJ. She would’ve had an acting role in “grease if she hadn’t transferred two days too late for tryouts. Ray stops when she meets up with Julia. Julia is eager to find out what went on earlier. Rumors were already flying about it in the school halls; she had been too busy going over dance steps on stage to find out as it happened.



“Oh my gosh Ray, you’re as giddy as a cheerleader. You’re gonna haveta tell me what y’all were in such a tizzy over with Nick. “ She says, her accent from the living in Alabama most of her life, clearly there.



Ray nods excitedly. Julia is her only girlfriend in the school so far, because for some reason most girls hate her. She never did anything to provoke it. And she needs someone to talk about things that a guy couldn’t handle talking about. She values the friendship greatly. Julia met ray and couldn’t get it either, she figures it’s because of AJ and Nick. Jealously can do strange things to people.



“Holy crap Jules, it’s so weird, and a long ass story hon.”



Julia’s light blue eyes begin to sparkle naughtily, “ You can tell me as we go down to the pool in the gym. I just got a idea of a fun thing to do.”



The two girls giggle as the turn around and go down the hall without a worry in the world.
Never A Moment's Peace by Rose
“Lost Souls”

“I’m supergirl and I’m here to save the world, but I wanna know, who’s gonna save me?”-Krystal, “Supergirl”

~**Chapter Eight: Never a Moments Peace

Anastay Lorden sighs as she lies on her bed. She sleepily plays with the silver necklace she’s wearing. The dazzling opal in the center of the heart pendent gleaming as it hangs from the chain around her neck. The gem radiates with a pure whit light when she begins to use it to watch her pale violet aura dance about her; the colorful emotions shooting through it crazily. She frowns, and stops. Anastay lets her aura become invisible to her eyes again, the way it is to everyone else. The opal immediately stops glowing. She rolls her deep blue-green eyes; she was only using it as a distraction anyway. Ana runs a hand through her tangled flaxen curls with frustration. She has no idea of what her next move is going to be.

“Okay, I’m finally here. I know who they are. I’ve even met the boy of waters and the girl of nature. So now what do I do?” she asks herself, hoping an answer will come to her.

For the past two weeks she’s been here on Earth, Anastay's been carefully observing the other seven beings like herself. They’re nothing like what she pictured them to be. They seemed helpless to her, completely defenseless, and that disgusts her considering the skills they should possess. If she didn’t know better, she wouldn’t think they were the ones. At first, she though it was a mistake, and that they are normal humans just like everyone else on this boring planet. The only reason she knows that’s not true is because of the silver amulets they each wear, much like the heart amulet around her neck. Each one is shaped, designed, and equipped with a different gem and shape to fit each unique being and the gifts they possess. She twirls a blonde lock around her fingers thoughtfully. Anastay realizes they might be different than what she imagined because they’re oblivious to their origin, unlike herself. She was the one chosen to remain on their home planet, Amarella.

The others were placed on Earth for protection. See, every life/essence was injected along with a few genes from another species, into host infants chosen at random on Earth. This endows them with the powers of the species whose genes each got, and a former life gets reincarnated into that body. Studies had shown that a child does not have its own essence/spirit until it is the age of three, according to Amarella’s greatest scientists. If this had been false, the spirit would’ve been rejected from the child immediately. They weren’t. Anastay was one of the eight experiments, each with a different past life and a different species’ genes entered into them. All eight were a success. Supposedly they were once all great different historical figures on Amarella. She doesn’t know for sure though. She’s been trained for this mission all her life. She knows she must begin when all to reach the age of adulthood. So, here she is.

“Great, now I’ve gotta protect them from those damn Hankilltas until I can figure out what to do next.” She grumbles, grabbing her stuff and walking out of the dorm room.

“She understands she’s got fifteen minutes until class. The problem is, Ana's got to get to her first period, world history, which is on the other side of the campus and she doesn’t feel like being late.

“I hate this so much sometimes.” She growls, and runs off for class.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ray Anne taps her pen impatiently as she listens to her teacher drone on and on in her geometry class. She sighs; she doesn’t even have anyone even being nice to her now since Jamelet started that vicious rumor about her being an alcoholic. The girls at Bright Sky already hated her, so they jumped on this opportunity to make her miserable. She tugs on a blonde strand. She wishes she had Julia in this class with her instead of AJ. It still hurts when she thinks about the way they acted at the club. Neither had bothered to even consider her or her feelings. Painful memories come to mind as she fights to keep calm, pushing them away. Too many memories come to mind.

She watches a note appear on her desk, her sapphire eyes going to AJ and sees him bat his lovable coffee eyes at her. She roles her eyes playfully as her soft pink lips curve into a smile. Ray groans inwardly, her golden curls bouncing when she ties them back in a ponytail distractedly. The guys just like a puppy, no matter how mad you get at him, he always makes you smile.

‘Come on Ray.’ She scolds herself silently, ‘It’s only a note. You may as well read it. Plus admit it, you miss him.’

She shakes her head. Ray and Nick had earlier in U.S. History, and had gotten into a fight again. Not about what happened before, but about Justin. As much as he tried to hide it, she knows he doesn’t like the idea of her renewing her old friendship with him. Ray knows Nick has no faith in himself, but that does not mean he can own her. She feels her understanding can only go so far.

Her gaze goes back to the note. She glances back at Mr. Oakie, who is going over some stuff with his back to the class. the curiosity finally gets the best of her and Ray Anne eagerly opens the note AJ tossed her.

*‘Ray,

Listen, you have no idea how sorry I am for what happened last week. It was stupid. I have no idea what got into me. Do you forgive me? Hopefully you do. So you know, I talked things out with Nick, so we’re cool. He’s really pissed though and he won’t tell me why. I know it has something to do with Saturday. I talked to Julia, but she told me to ask you. See, I saw you and Timberlake together at rehearsals and again at Backstreet. Why there? Now you’ve got me curious. I understand if you don’t tell me, but I’ve got something I need to tell you. I need a friend right now. Nick’s too upset to even try, and I CANNOT tell Kev. I’m in a tough spot, and I have nowhere else to turn? So are we friends?

Alex.’*

Ray reeds the note again, feeling incredibly guilty. She knows she overreacted. Is it really his fault that it brought up things she wishes had been buried long ago? No it isn’t. She likes AJ, a lot. This isn’t worth ruining one of the few friendships she has at this school. She grabs a piece of paper, writing hastily. Ray Anne soon tosses a note back to AJ.

Alex McLean runs a hand through his brown messy spikes as he sees Ray’s note land on his desk. He doesn’t know why he feels he can trust her so much already. He shyly glances at the mysterious girl. There’s so much he doesn’t know about her. AJ doesn’t know what it is about her either. It’s as if he’s meant to end up with Ray Anne Littrell. Maybe that’s why he was so willing to risk his own highly valued friendship with Nick last week to get her. What bothered him, as he read her note telling him she’s sorry too and of course they’re still friends; is that he is still willing to risk it. And so is Nick Carter.

He sighs as he begins to write his problems down to her. That doesn’t matter now. This is more important. He needs her to help him. The rest can just wait.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick slowly walks into the crowded theaters for the after school rehearsals. This day seems like it’s dragging on forever when all he wants is for it to end so he can move on to tomorrow. His azure eyes narrow when he spots Justin going over to where AJ and Ray are. He growls angrily, what’s the guy trying to do take all his friends away? He turns to go there when he suddenly crashes into someone.

“Oh I’m sorry,” he says softly, looking away shyly at the ground as he helped the girl up.

“It’s okay.” She pushes her blonde locks away from her face. “Oh hey Nick.”

“Hey Anastay, or should I say Rizzo?”

She grins, “so where are you off to in such a hurry?”

He points to Ray Anne, AJ, and Justin. “Over there. I wanna make sure Justin doesn’t try to take my friends.”

“It can’t be that bad. Ray seems like she’d be a true friend to you.”

“It is trust me, Timberlake is always trying to ruin my life. But I can’t tell Ray that, she’d just think it was me being jealous. In fact she does think that after the fight we had this morning.” He says angrily, the emerald in his Sharkish dolphin amulet beginning to glow. She then hears the harsh, pouring rain and hail outside. Anastay smirks, the powers are reaching their peak, figures it would come out in his emotions.

“Go talk to her.”

“No, I mean-”

“Go!” she cries, pushing him playfully. “You’ll have to sooner or later and it’s better if it’s sooner.

“Fine.” He hugs Anastay and goes off to find Ray who had disappeared in the crowd.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ray sighs as she runs through her lines with Justin. She throws her scrip down she just can’t concentrate after what AJ told her. She couldn’t believe what he was dealing with. She had thought his life was perfect like everyone else in the school. Boy was she wrong. She scratches her head slightly, trying to think of a solution. How can she help AJ McLean with his desperate troubles without Kevin knowing and making sure Kevin doesn’t overexert himself at the same time…

“Hey BB? You there?”

She looks up with surprise. “Sorry Ju-Ju, I’ve got a lot on my mind right now and I just can’t-“

“Hey guys.” Nick calls coming up to them.

Justin gazes at Rose with concern, his baby blue eyes fiery at Nick because of the distraction. “Um, Nick now may not be-”

Nick ignores him. “Um Sunny can I talk to you for a sec?”

“Well Nicky boy this may not be-”

“Please?” he almost pleads, running a hand through his spiky blonde locks nervously.

She nods with defeat. “Sure Nick.”

“BB, are you sure-”

“Leave it be Justin, I’ll be back in a minute.”

Justin nods, he knows something is up between her and Nick. He doesn’t know if that’s the smartest thing for her to be doing now. Her past hasn’t let her go and he knows that will not help in a new relationship. He can’t blame her for wanting to bury it, but it won’t go away until she can face it. He may be crossing a few lines here, but he’s only trying to protect like he’s always done.

“Okay.” Is all he says about it though.

Ray walks out of the theater with Nick into an empty hallway. She knows they need to talk, but with the whole AJ thing, she’s not in the right state of mind to deal with it. All this will do is make it worse if she says the wrong thing or spaces out like she has been all day.

“What’s up Nick?”

Nick looks away, shuffling his feet. “I’m sorry. About everything. It’s not your fault me and Justin don’t get along.”

“How were you to know he was my old best friend?” she asks, lifting his chin up so he looks into her face.

“but still. And I acted like-like- like a jackass at the club before-“

“I overreacted but you still shouldn’t have acted like that.”

“I don’t know what came over me.” Nick grabs her hands softly. “But when I look into your eyes, I don’t know it’s like there’s nothing else in the world, just me and you.”

“No Nick, we can’t-”

“Yeah we can, you have no idea how I feel.” He grabs hold of her waist, pressing his lips against hers. Her soft lips meet his sweet ones. Instinctively she closes her eyes beginning to kiss back. Pleasure and excitement races up her spine. His tongue begins to slip its way into her mouth eagerly. She feels the tongue enter gently, suddenly realizing what they’re doing and opens her eyes in shock. Ray Anne pushes him away forcefully.

“Nick I said no. I can’t do this. I just can’t.” she whispers to him and runs off into the hall, leaving a very upset and confused Nick to stand there alone.
Run and Maybe It?ll Go Away by Rose
“Lost Souls”

“Blurring and stirring the truth and the lies, so i don't know what's real and what's not…always confusing the thoughts in my head…so i can't trust myself anymore” –Evanescence, “Going Under”

~**Chapter 9: Run and Maybe It’ll Go Away

Brian walks down the hall towards Ray’s room, he had seen her suddenly leave during rehearsals and not come back so he decided to come after her. He saw Nick looking almost stunned in the hallway so he put two and two together and came up with Nick probably made a move on Ray Anne. Not good. This had many possible consequences Nick just didn’t know about. He goes to Ray’s room and knocks on the door….no answer.

“Anne? You here?” He walks in and is surprised to find an empty room. He’d have thought for sure Ray Anne would come here. He sighs and walks out into the hall again, closing the door behind them. He had no clue of where his sister would go, so he heads back to the rehearsals, realizing there was nothing else for him to do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jamelet strolls down the hall, feeling pretty smug seeing the way the girls were treating Ray now. It served the spoiled brat right. See how it feels to be alone. She spots Nick at in front of one of his classrooms, talking to some teacher. A small smile curves upon Jamelet’s face. With Ray Anne out of the way Nick was open for him to see her since Kevin is out of the picture because of canceled date. Who says a little jealousy hurt anything? Maybe then she’ll catch Kevin’s interest, if not, she still had Nick. It was a win-win situation. She runs a hand through her russet locks as she comes up to him.

“Hi Nick.”

Nick blinks, turning around, having not noticed her before. “ Oh hi Jamelet.”

Jamelet tries not to frown when she spots the sad look in his eyes. Not much got to Nick Carter, he always kept his cool. What coulda happened to have him actually show he’s sad? Everyone knew he kinda had a low self esteem, you could tell by watching him but he was the most sought after guy around and he kept his emotions to himself.

“Are you okay? You look kinda sad.”

Nick nods, running a hand through his golden spiky hair. “Yeah, I’m fine, just tired I guess.”

“Oh, okay, if you’re sure.”

“Yeah, thanks though.”

“Listen Nick, if you’re not-“

Just then Anastay comes up at the worst possible time. “Oh hey Nick, what’s up?”

Jamelet frowns, who the hell was this girl?

Nick smiles a little. “Hey Ana, Jamelet this is Anastay, Anastay, this is Jamelet.”

Anastay smiles and thinks ‘And here’s another one of the seven, perfect.’ Out loud she says, “Nice to meet you.”

Jamelet nods, “Likewise I’m sure.”

Soon another girl comes up behind Anastay, 5’4” with dark, dirty blonde medium lenth locks and gray blue eyes under the glasses she wore. She grins at all of them as she comes up. “Hey Ana-banana, who are these guys?”

Anastay groans inwardly, ‘And here’s my bratty fake sister on this planet…perfect timing….’

Nick sees the girl and smiles at the girl who only looked to be thirteen if that. His mind though was still focused on the incident with Ray Anne no matter what bravado he was now trying to put up. ‘Why did she run? It figures she did. Why would Ray want me…’

“Guys this is my little sister Sam, she got skipped up a grade and is going here now. Sam this is Nick and Jamelet.”

Sam grins at them, tying her dark locks back with a scrunchie. “Hi, it’s great meeting you.” Yet behind the look of innocence Samantha Lorden wore lurked a secret darker than any of them suspected.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ray comes out of her dance class with AJ and Julia. It was nice just hanging out with them, despite the worries she had for AJ running though her mind. Poor Kevin. Working to keep them going, it was too much strain and Alex was right, it would eventually kill him if he kept up. She only wished she could help AJ figure out what to do. But, she was also sworn to secrecy which complicated the situation. Julia’s voice brings her out of her thoughts.

Julia grins at them, “Ya’ll know the talent show’s next week right? I say we go out and do something crazy. Live up life a lil.”

AJ laughs, “Ya know the crazy life would do us some good.”

“So whatcha got in mind Jules?”

A wide grin comes across Julia’s excited tan face. “I say we go down to the beach and go skinny dipping today.”

Ray Anne’s sapphire eyes widen, “At night right?”

“Nah, we’re gonna haveta go in broad daylight. It’ll be more fun that way.”

AJ grins and chuckles, “Well we did say live crazy, you up for it Ray?”

She immediately shakes her head at the two as the walk through the school. “No way. You two are too crazy even for me. You’re on your own there.”

“Aww come on Ray! Please?” She pouts at her playfully, trying to get her to give in.

“Fine fine, we’ll go…but if we get arrested and my brother kills me, I’m blaming you.”

Julia hugs her grinning. “Great! So we’ll go down and maybe stay the night even in a near by hotel and then come back tomorrow in time for the show! Perfect.”

As AJ talks to Julia, Ray again lets herself get lost in thought. ‘Perfect alright, a chance to avoid Nick and everyone else…help find a solution for AJ even. Who knows, maybe I just shouldn’t ever come back.’
Hidden Self Destruction by Rose
“Lost Souls”

“Runnin’ out of self control, gettin’ close to an overload. Up against a no-win situation, shoulder to shoulder, push and shove, I’m hanging up my boxin’ gloves.” – Journey, “Be Good To Yourself”

~**Chapter 10 – Hidden Self Destructions

Brian heads down the hall to his dorm. Things haven’t been as good as he hoped here. He knew Ray Anne had been gone with Julia and AJ for the weekend, which he figured to be the best thing for her and even for the rest of them. He plays with his necklace a little, wondering how to help Nick get out of his slump. Him chasing after his sister was only going to end badly. He loved Ray Anne to death but he knew how she could be with guys. It made him happy Justin was back in their lives. Justin would be able to help. He blinks as he runs right into someone much taller then himself. He takes a few steps back to see Alex’s older brother, Kevin. He looked worn out. Bags sat under his now dull green eyes, his face looked as if it belonged to someone about ten years older and had been through too much in one lifetime. Kevin yawns as he helps Brian up. Brian frowns, this school seemed to be filled with problems.

“Sorry about that Brian.”

“It’s okay, I was kinda out of it. You ok?”

“Yeah, fine, just getting in from work.”

Brian runs a hand through his strawberry blonde curls, his cerulean eyes trying to read Kevin’s seemingly neutral face. “Really? I didn’t know you had a job.”

Kevin shrugged nonchalantly, “Oh it’s just a way to get some extra money.”

Brian starts to say something, then stops. He had thought Kevin and AJ came from the well to do family. Also, he knew that anyone here on scholarship got extra money for various things like that. It seemed either way Kevin shouldn’t need a job. It was why the school did that, so the students could focus more on the arts. He decided not to argue and say this though; otherwise he may not be able to find out more. Kevin looked like a wreck and Brian wanted to know why.

“Ah, yeah I understand that.”

“I’ll see you around then, at the next play rehearsal probably.”

“Alright.” He watches the taller man walk by him and down to his own dorm. It seemed there was more to Kevin and AJ than he had originally thought.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She had known it would be a bad idea for her to come back. She just knew she should have run while she had the chance. She had chickened out though. She came back and now she has to watch the tension between Alex and Nick grow during the rehearsal. It was all because of her. Figures she’d cause this. Seems that’s all Ray is good for. Ray Anne knows Brian is worried sick about her. He gets this way every time she starts trying to keep to herself. She couldn’t help it though it was her defense mechanism. It had gotten her through worse times in the past and it would get her through guilt now. Alex did not need this on top of his worries for Kevin. She still had no clue ho w to help him in that respect either. She was good for nothing; of this she was sure. She sees Brian give her a worried and sympathetic glance. She hated what she did to him. He grew up way before he should have because he thought he had to protect her. He missed out because of her.

“RAY ANNE LITTRELL!!”

She turned and blinked to look up and see her new dance coach, Stephanie Serena, Her old coach had quit suddenly during her trip to the beach for a reason no one knew. She just up and left, vanished almost and no one knew what had become of her. Stephanie’s jade eyes blaze with annoyance, her dark blondish brown hair tied back in a neat bun as she looked down at Ray for her distracted dancing. They were rehearsing for the final dance number in Grease and it was obvious to anyone with eyes that her heart wasn’t in it. Ray sighed and wiped her brow.

“Sorry Ms. Serena.”

“I have no time for stragglers right now. Go sit outside until you decide you this is important enough to focus on.”

“Fine.” She said stubbornly, grabbing her bag and heading out into the hall. She leaned against the wall and let herself slide down to the floor and sat. She pulled out a small silver vial from her bag, opened it up, and began drinking from it eagerly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick sits on his bed, making a light sketch of what he planned to paint on his canvas. He felt down, and he knew it would be a good time to try and paint it out. He has always used his artistic talents to help with his emotions. He never told anyone this though. How could he? He was Nick Carter. He was supposed to be a man, not the wimp he truly sees himself to be. His hand travels over the paper as if it had a life of it’s own, and Nick continued to let his thoughts rule. They soon drift back to Ray Anne, the mystery that seemed to be her. She was a contradiction in itself. A strong person, yet so fragile. He didn’t get it. Brian had been talking to him about it, he seemed to think Nick should let her go. It would be the smart thing.

‘I should, I mean why put myself at risk anymore…it makes no sense…none at all’ he thought, as a picture starts to become visible on the canvas. Yet, for some reason, he did not seem to want to.

Then there was Jamelet. She seemed to now want him. She couldn’t do to him what Ray Anne could though. However, Nick could not deny Jamelet was very beautiful. She would be fun to date probably, and a good way to move on from Brian’s sister. But what if he was wrong? Maybe she did not want Nick; maybe it is just some twisted game or cruel prank. Seems that last week she had been going for Kevin, now the two were hardly speaking. Something had most likely gone sour. Was he really willing to take the risk of the humiliation? The risk of being stripped down to reveal the worthless being he knew he was? His ocean eyes catch sight of a picture of Brian and Ray Anne together in a frame sitting on Brian’s desk and the answer immediately became yes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Howie sat at a table in his favorite coffee shop. He grinned when he spotted his long time friend come up to him. She wore black flowing dancing pants and a loose white top with a few spots of dried clay on it. He chuckled she always had clay on her. Her long black hair is in loose ways and went down to the middle of her back, her dark brown eyes sparkled happily without a care. He sipped his coffee and waved her over> he has known Alyssa Lee since they were kids. His slice of normalcy, she had no hint of any of the problems him and Jamelet had, and that is the way he liked it. Made him feel like the average teenager he should be, but isn’t. She came up and takes a seat after ordering a mocha latte, her favorite drink there.

“I haven’t seen you much lately” she said to him smiling.

“I know, things have been crazy.”

“Just another year at Bright Sky.”

“True.”

“So what’s up with Jammy? I hear she’s chasing after…Nick Carter?”

Howie blinked, he had not heard that. He knew of his sister’s harshness against Ray Anne Littrell but he did not think she’d go for him. If he had known he would have talked her out of it. It was a bad idea, he knew what he wanted and he did not want Jamelet to get hurt. She had been though a lot, and all she wanted was love. She wouldn’t get it from Nick.

“I didn’t know that.”

She shrugged. “Could be just another dumb rumor.”

“True, but I’ll talk to her, and ask. We haven’t talked much lately either.” Which was true. The two had become more distant lately and Howie didn’t know why. Maybe it was the thing against that Littrell girl. He wasn’t sure. He sighed. It couldn’t be any home problems; they had left them behind when they came to the school every year. This had always been their only escape, which is why he never let Jamelet just run off. He did not know the consequences and besides that, he wanted them both to have a future and graduating would be a part of that. Time to talk to her and try and help her figure everything out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian sits on his bed after rehearsals. Ray Anne is avoiding him again. He worried for her greatly. She had never been the most stable of people. Most never catch onto that however. He doubted even Justin knew. Her downfall began after their parents were gone. He glances at himself in the mirror. He felt numb. The urge to feel came rushing back at him. It was overpowering. He had felt a part of him had left and only returned any time he did it. What was the big deal? He promised to himself it would only be a little one. Then he would stop. No big deal. He pulls out the pocketknife from his pocket, taking out the blade as he pushed up his long right sleeve, to reveal the faded scars along his arm from previous times. The metal glimmered in the light. He headed into the bathroom and stands over the sink and he lets the blade slice into his arm gently. Life flowed from the wound.

Brian watches with a twisted pleasure. A small grin formed on his face from the small amount of pain that came with it. Pain, he was alive. Most of time he felt almost nothing, he felt dead. This reassured him he was still alive. He could feel. This is what it must feel like to be alive. To be one of those people he sees with a normal, happy life. He watched the flood of blood lessen, and used the blade to slice his arm again only deeper this time. He could control this…he would soon stop…he just wanted to feel…

There was a figure standing in the shadows, unbeknownst to Brian. It snickers silently as it watched the young man cut himself again and again.

“Yes…” it whispered seductively to Brian. “You must feel…”

Brian looks at his arm, many fresh cuts existed there now. He watched the blood run from them along his arm and into the sink. He must feel. He must feel. He must finally feel…

The figure watched with a deep satisfaction at the young man’s hidden self-destruction. Brian turned and looked directly where the figure stood with sad eyes, but saw nothing but a simple shadow. He turns back and turns on the water, and grabbed a nearby washcloth to wash his arm off and clean up the mess before Nick came back. The door was locked, but he feared being caught. No one would understand. No one.
Seek and Destroy by Rose
“Lost Souls”

“There’s something inside me that pulls beneath the surface, consuming, confusing…this lack of self control I fear is never ending. Controlling…I can’t seem to find myself again, my walls are closing in…” - Linkin Park, “Crawling”

Chapter 11: Seek and Destroy

Justin walked along the empty hall. He knew he was late, but at the moment he didn’t care. His mother would keep him in this school no matter what he did, despite how much he’s wanted out these past years. This place seemed to suck the life from you. Most here never seemed happy. He could understand why Ray Anne and Brian were here though; he would rather be here as well than be stuck with their uncle. He wished he could have been there for them these past years, but his snobby mother made it impossible till now.

His mind stayed within the consuming thoughts. He didn’t pay attention to where he was going, and he accidentally knocked Nick Carter down. He blinked before reaching down to help the kid up. He never could get along with him, never did like him much, but if he’s Ray Anne’s and Brian’s friend, he may as well try. Nick pulled his hand away roughly before getting up on his own. He grabbed his stuff and his eyes narrowed at Justin.

“Look Timberfuck, I don’t feel like doing this shit right now.” He pushed by him and continued down the hall. Justin turned and watched him walk away for a moment. He then continued his way down the hall. Nick is one person he just doesn’t get. He sighed as he heard the rain start to pour outside once again and rolled his eyes. Could it ever stop raining here? He yawned tiredly and made his way to class. That Carter was a weird one, that much he knew.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They slinked along the halls as the final bell rings. They waited in the shadows for the ones they seek. They shall follow, they shall stalk, and they shall complete their task. Piercing eyes stared through the mobs of people with their one purpose. Seek and they shall find…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ray Anne strolled down the hall with Justin, AJ, and Julia after their last class ended, as they headed down to Julia’s room. Ray Anne loved to avoid her room when she could. She did not ever enjoy facing down Jamelet. Julia pulled her short copper hair back into a ponytail, and her soft blue eyes skipped over to Justin. Alex seemed to be distracted somewhat himself, his soft coffee eyes swirling with discontent.

“So what is the deal with you and Nick?”

Justin blinked, and ran a hand through his messy short blonde curls. “Honestly I don’t know, we just could never get along.” He shrugged. “I never liked him much…”

Ray Anne glanced at Justin. “Why is that?”

“Just never did. The feeling is mutual from him. Besides that look at how he was with you, just could not take a no…”

AJ nodded speaking up, “Nick is hard to figure out. Case closed. The shit between him and Justin has gone on since 9th grade.”

Julia watched her with concern and interrupted Justin, not agreeing with his thoughts on the quiet insecure teen. “Nick is a nice guy though, besides Frick is rapidly becoming best friends with him. Brian is good when it comes to people, he can tell if they’re assholes or not in the first five minutes he talks to them. ”

“Okay you have a point there, I’ve known Rok since we were little kids and you’re right but…”

“How about we just don’t talk about it!” Ray snapped angrily, the subject getting to her rapidly.

“Sorry BB” Justin replied quietly.

“Look I didn’t mean to get pissy but I just don’t want to even hear the name Nick Carter right now and-” she stopped and turned around, her eyes as if in search for something. Julia and Justin stopped as well and stared at Ray with curiosity at what she was looking for.

“What?”

The young blonde shook her head as she kept looking around. “There was someone following us…”

Alex looked around; he felt the same thing Ray did. It was strange, yet he didn’t question it. Someone was there just moments ago, despite how now he couldn’t see anyone there.

Justin raised an eyebrow at her. “Uh you sure? I don’t see anyone.”

“Me either girl.”

“Yeah but I know what she means, I think someone was too.”

Ray growled with annoyance and crossed her arms over her chest stubbornly. “No there was something there.”

“Did you even see anything Ray? What about you AJ?”

“No but still…why would either of us make this up?”

“No but I know there was something there following us. I know it.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anastay sat on her bed, her homework strewn about her. Not that it mattered much, but she had to keep up the appearances for her deception. She held her pendant within her hands, bored and getting the urge to play with her skills once again. Now it was more risky however with her false sister now going to this school and becoming her new roommate. This complicated things. She sighed and concentrated until the amulet glowed with a pure white light and soon her physical form could no longer be seen. She left the room and walked down the hall. Time to get to know the other seven, things she knew they would never tell. There were things she needed to know and invisibility was the only way to do it.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian wore another long sleeved shirt as he sat on his bed and glanced over at Nick who was finishing another painting. He was itching to do something, get out. He didn’t want to sit here for then the urge may come. The urge he could not deny. He couldn’t do it while Nick was here though.

“Hey Blondie.”

The young man looked up and shifted his gaze over to Brian. “You’re blonde too.”

“Not as much as you, lets go do something.” He grinned a little. “Sitting here doing nothing is driving me crazy.”

Nick laughed slightly, “I think you’re already crazy man.”

Brian got up and went to Nick, tousling his hair playfully. “Up for a game of basketball?”

The urge began to fill him again, a small itch traveled up and down his marked arms. He pushed any thoughts of that away. Not with Nick here. He couldn’t. he could never be discovered. Never. No one would understand.

Nick grinned back at him and nodded. “Sure, I need the break.”

Brian grabbed the nearest pillow and swatted him with it softly. “Good I need someone to beat. Prepare to be vanquished!”

Nick stood and set the pillow aside. “Yeah you’ll win.”

Brian frowned, “Nick, come on, you gotta stop doing that.”

“Doing what?”

He shook his head, “Never mind, come on, lets go play.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jamelet lied on her bed, and smirked when her eyes took in Ray Anne’s side of the room. She never stayed in there much anymore. Just the way she liked it. Let the spoiled brat get some rough stuff herself. She needed to learn life wasn’t always fair. She sighed, things with Nick were going the way she wanted it. She could tell by the way he acted. Yet, her mind went back to Kevin. She shook her head at herself. Forget Kevin. She didn’t want him or need him.

Howie had come by today to talk to her. She sighed; it wasn’t like she could tell him. This was all to protect him. She knew he could sense something was up. He always could with her. There was no other option however; she had to lie to him. Then he brought up Nick and said it was a bad idea. Why? Cause of the spoiled prissy bitch of all people! It made Jamelet want to scream. Ray Anne did not have claim on everyone, and that included Nick or her brother for that matter. She rolled her eyes at the thought. She was going to keep things up with Nick. He was hot and he was hers. She had heard something had been screwed up between them anyways. Her loss was Jamelet’s gain.

The phone rang and Jamelet jumped at the sound. She dreaded answering it. But she had to, who knew who it could be. Yet, deep down, something told her who it was, and what she would most likely have to be doing again soon. She shuddered at the thought. That man made her skin crawl. Her eyes watered as she picked up the phone and listened to the voice on the line. Randal, that confirmed her suspicions. She was going to have to suffer through that twisted man’s torture again. Again. She soon hung up. Why did this have to happen to her? Jamelet sobbed into her pillow until she fell asleep from pure emotional exhaustion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kevin entered his room from another day of work. He collapsed on his bed with pure exhaustion. He didn’t know how much longer he could continue this for. He was doing this so maybe for once Alex may get the chance at a normal life this year. Kevin desired one as well but he could see it wasn’t possible. Jamelet was a perfect example. He had really liked her then she cancels, and before he could ask her why he saw her hitting on Nick. So he said forget it, and hid his growing jealously. He had resigned to his fate. Alex would not have to though. Every other year he has had to work and miss out. Sure, he covered up by acting out in his humorous ways, but Kevin wanted more for him. He winced at the pain radiating from his back. Sharp pains traveled up and down his spine. He could barely keep his eyes open. Yet, he could not sleep. He had an extra shift he had chosen to take in only an hour. Perhaps he could just call and cancel. As much as he hated to admit it, even he had limits.

It stayed in the shadows, and stared at Kevin with a deep satisfaction. He could play this one easily. This one would be easier than the task the other one had with the cutter. It flies up into the air and wisps about the raven haired man’s head unseen, and whispered to it with a deep alluring tone.

“What about Alexander…you must work…work work work to save the life he should have. Save your brother from your own forceful life…rescue him on your own…”

Kevin sighed and slowly rose from the bed. Wait, what about Alex? He couldn’t call in. He had to work. He had to work as hard as possible. Not for himself, but for Alex, for the life their mother tried to gamble away from him. If he himself could not escape this work filled life, he would rescue Alex. Asking others for help was not an option either. He had to keep their dignity. He had to rescue him on his own.

~*~*~*~*~*~

It smirked as it entered its room; everything was going the way it should. Soon these weak pathetic things would have no chance to even discover their purpose. The one sent from Amarella was a great distraction to them as well. While the beings were distracted by her, its troops can follow and discover exactly what is needed to kill them with no problem at all. Instead of saving others like herself, she shall damn them all unknowingly. It smirked happily, very little work for it and its troops. It was too easy, just a simple strategy of seek and destroy.
Hope and Faith by Rose
“Lost Souls”


‘This one’s for the dreamers, who’ve locked their faith inside. And this is for the widows, who think there’s only one, for the dying fathers who never told their sons…No one is glamorously lonely, follow your heart. This is a song for the unloved; this is the music for one last cry. This is a prayer that tomorrow will help me leave the past behind. It’s a song for the unloved.’ - “Song For The Unloved” -- Backstreet Boys


Chapter 12: Hope and Faith


Alex walked along the halls in search of Kevin. Alex had slipped out of the rehearsals early to look for him. It was the dance extras dance they were going over anyway. No need for him to be there, him and Ray would have a different set of moves to go along with it. His brother is more important anyway. He knew his work shift should have ended hours ago. Where was he? The teen needed rest and he wanted to look out for him the way Kevin had always done, far too often in his opinion. It was their former shell of a mother who needed to be doing this, but the one who was once her is buried beneath drugs alcoholism and debt. Long gone from the two sons who deserve a good mother and far more? Not dead in mind, but in spirit where it counted. He sighed and tried to think like Kevin for a moment and groaned at the thought that came to mind. He’d be working more. Perfect. What was he going to do if he over exhausted himself? Shit. This could not in any way be a good thought or idea. Soon a feeling of extreme fatigue overwhelmed him, fatigue he could not account for. Sure he had slipped out of rehearsals earlier to find Kevin but he wasn’t THAT tired…He looked down at his necklace and blinked when he saw Kevin’s around his neck. He blinked again and stared at the charm now in his hand. Kevin’s necklace was still around his neck when just moments ago it wasn’t.

“What is going on?” he thought to himself in confusion.

He rubbed his eyes for a moment tiredly. AJ looked around to see he wasn’t in the hallway anymore, he was in a bathroom. His eyes shift to the mirror in front of him and screamed when he saw Kevin’s face reflecting back at him instead of his own. Panic rushes through him, his thoughts only on how this had to be a daydream for no other explanation was possible. He rubbed his eyes again, wondering how this could be possible, but when he opened them, there he was in the hallway. Nothing had changed. The halls were still empty.

‘Alright, I know I’m not insane.’ He thought, ‘so what was that about?’ he shook his head with a slight chuckle. ‘Daydream, has to be…shows how I’m getting too stressed.’ He never noticed the fading glow coming from the amber gem in the charm on his necklace as he goes to check his room before heading back to the auditorium. His hope disappearing in his brother making it through the year happy, normal and healthy.

~*~


Ray Anne did the steps again and again for rehearsal. She wasn’t sure where Alex was now, or Kevin but everyone else was there. She saw her brother sitting off to the side taking pictures for the school newspaper. He had told her he’d be writing an article on it, but he made it clear it wasn’t a review. Since he was part of the play, he didn’t have an unbiased perspective he said. Earlier Alex was doing scenes with her before he left, saying he had to check something and would be back. Ray Anne had a feeling it was Kevin he was checking after. She sighed, he wanted help but she couldn‘t even keep her own life straight. She forced herself to concentrate because it seemed she was the one Stephanie wanted to pick on today. She was very much beginning to hate that dance coach. She glared at her defiantly as she did the steps once more. Ray wiped her brow as she continued doing the same routine over and over and over. She should have these moves nailed. She could do this. She could. Ray knew she was doing them right. She had this down pat. She stopped to take a breath and her eyes met her coach’s jade ones.

“Again!”

“What am I doing wrong?”

Ms. Serena rolled her eyes. “You are much too sloppy.”

“How am I too sloppy? You should talk to some of the backups who keep missing a step.” she smarted back with annoyance, forgetting she was just a student, and for once letting a bit of confidence show.

Alex rolled his chocolate eyes and ran a hand over his brown spiky hair while he strolled back in. Making him forget what he imagined to happen earlier. He couldn‘t believe Ms. Serena was still making Ray go over the routine again and again. Before he left she had been harping on it, and then gotten frustrated and started working with the advanced dance class who were the dancing extras.

“Come on, are you kidding me, if she gets any more perfect she’d be on Broadway!” He smirked, wiggling his brows to get humor into the tiring routine, “What you gonna broadcast this all to the world and beat out sex tapes of Paris Hilton even?” Laughter filled the room. He grinned at Ray Anne. “You can be my partner to beat that out.” he jokes.

The curly haired blonde couldn’t help but chuckle and she shook her head. “I wouldn’t be right for the part.”

Ms. Serena rolled her emerald eyes. “Alex I do not know where you disappeared to but I want it done again. Ray Anne, I said again and I meant it, this is lacking any sort of talent I had been told you had. Now you do it or leave, there‘s plenty I‘m sure waiting to replace you.”

“Seriously, listen to AJ.” she muttered, not loud enough for the teacher to hear.

Alex gave her a wild grin. “No one can replace me. Once you get a McLean, forcing someone else to live up to one is just plain mean.”

Ray glared at the teacher, she was plain exhausted. “Fine, I’ll nail it again and then can we please get our break?”

“Only if you nail it, you seem to be forgetting it…” She focused her eyes on the young teen and for a moment the two remained silent. Ray blinked and nodded.

“Fine…I‘ll get the routine done again, even though I have it right now.”

“I do not want your backtalk Ray Anne. Prove to me you have them down then. Alex you go up there with her and do the main routine you two have together.”

“Fine”

Ray Anne smirked, after grabbing her water bottle and drinking the rest inside eagerly she prepared to show her that dance teacher something. She waited for the music. This would be simple. Easy. The steps were cake. She had them down; she practiced them enough at least. The music started and she and Alex started doing the moves in synch with each other like before. Yet, as she did them with him, a voice suddenly entered her head. One she did not recognize whatsoever.

You have forgotten your skills; you shall now blank the next few steps and fall with confusion at what just happened. Ray Anne, you are losing your confidence in your ability to do this. You know now you are wrong. The coach is right. You are very sloppy…


Anastay sat back and watched the main rehearsals for grease go down. It wasn’t currently her scene; it was just the two leads. She saw Ray Anne trying to nail her dance moves. AJ had his down. Ray did have hers down at first, but now she seemed to be slipping. It was odd. Anastay narrowed her eyes. There was a distant look in the one of nature’s eyes. Something was trying to bring the girl down. No, it cannot be someone in the actual school could it? Anastay frowned; she did not expect an attack this early. Still, it could just be coincidence…she sighed. She would have to look into this more. Perhaps there was more than she thought to her mission. Maybe the leaders back home knew there would be an attack and that was why she was sent. This needed looking into definitely. She watched Ray Anne a bit closer and could have sworn she saw a faint shadow swirl around her, but by the time she blinked it was gone. Anastay couldn’t tell if she had really seen it or not. Anastay watched Ray Anne and the coach with confusion. She sees the light of achievement vanish from the girl of nature’s eyes and be replaced with confusion and self-pity. She frowned at the girl, this was one of those few places where she seemed like a normal happy teenager and now that was slowly leaving her sapphire eyes that were dulling to a murky lake color.

Ray continued dancing and once again she heard the voice she was trying hard to ignore. Her blonde hair matted to her face, and getting in her eyes as she did her moves. She blew them away distractively but this time she could not ignore the voice.

You are clumsy, worth nothing. You do not know what you’re doing. Your confidence fades; you need to practice more because you have no idea what you are doing. You are horrible in what you are doing. You cannot do this. You are wrong…all you are...is a failure. You always have been. Your parents knew it, Brian only stays with you out of pity for your patheticness…you are a failure now in this just like always….and you need a drink…

She frowned at the voice. Why is she thinking that? And no not drinks, she had been trying hard to cut down, and slowly she was but this was the first real craving since she had. And why now? Then as she turned to execute another move, the voice was gone from her thoughts. Ray blanked on what to do next, forgetting the voice completely, she attempted to do what she was supposed to but nothing came. Her mind scrambled for a clue. As she attempted to do it anyway moments later her foot slipped and the blonde ended up on the floor, after an embarrassingly clumsy fall. She almost brought Alex down with her onto the hard stage floor. Why did she challenge Ms. Serena? She was wrong. She was sloppy; she couldn’t do this without the extra criticisms.

“Are you alright?” She heard both AJ and Brian ask when they saw her fall.

She nodded quietly as she takes the hand Aj holds out for her to help her up. “Yeah, I’m fine thanks.” Ray then stood, looked at Ms. Serena with sullen and spiritless resignation in her eyes as she said, “you were right. I’m sorry.” She then headed for the door without a word. Brian stood and grabbed her arm to stop her as she passed him.

“Hey-” he started but she rolled her eyes.

“I’m cool, don’t worry bout me.”

“Anne-”

“I said I was fine, I just need some air.” Ray Anne spat and left in search of the drink she suddenly felt she needed

Anastay stood. That was uncharacteristic of the unconfident nature girl. She had no faith in herself sure, but she did have talent that suddenly vanished. That had been one of the few talents that girl had faith that she had; now that was gone in an instant with no real apparent reason. Faith is something they all needed if this was going to work, that, and hope, along with a type of inner strength, without those three things, her-their, true world would be lost. Her eyes narrowed at the coach as she looks around and only saw Ms. Serena watching with a satisfied look that the girl suspected wasn’t from being right. She had a bad feeling about this. Anastay knew she was right. Something was up and that something was in this school with them.


~*~


Jamelet smirked from the stands as she had watched the entire scene go down. Score for the teacher. She looked around the room and couldn’t help a small frown when she couldn’t find Kevin. She wondered where he was. Probably out with some girl. There really was no reason for him to be here that day, he had a small roll with no dancing and that was the main purpose of today. She spotted Nick in the corner of the room, drawing in some book. She stood and strolled over confidently, one try wasn’t enough obviously so she’d work harder is all. Let her have the angel face of the school, the one everyone wanted but he didn’t seem to know it. She deserved it. After everything she’d dealt with to survive and is still dealing with? She should have someone like him to love her. She craved love, needed it…so she’d snatch it and not let that stupid spoiled Ray Anne ruin it for her. She approached him and looked over his shoulder and he glanced up, startled and quickly shut the sketch book before she could get a glimpse of it.

“Hey Nick, What is someone like you….doing off by himself?” She purred with a smile.

He shrugged, his ocean eyes so mysterious and unclear to read the emotions within them. “Hi Jamelet.”

“You want company?” She moved to cozy up beside him. “They won’t pull me up to the stage till the extras get the dance down I don’t think.”

He shook his head and stood. “No thanks, I gotta….go….get something…” He replied staring at the floor and rushed out the door. Jamelet’s eyes narrowed, time to play dirty and destroy the weak competition against her.


Nick headed down the hall, not paying attention, only to trip over a shaking bundle. Nick got up, brushing the golden strands from his eyes and looked over to see what tripped him, and there sat Ray, shaking and crying and holding something small and shiny in her hands. Nick bent down, concerned, forgetting himself and what had occurred between them when he had tried to kiss her days before.

“Ray?”

She froze and looked up, quickly wearing a look of indifference and wiped her eyes discreetly. The small flask Nick had only glimpsed but not recognized, quickly was hidden. “Yeah?”

He sat down beside her. “Are you okay?”

Ray stood, not wanting to take the risk of being hurt by him, which meant chasing him away. “Yeah.”

He stood as well, not understanding her in the least. “You didn’t look okay…” he said quietly.

“Well I am?”

“Why are you being so cold to me?” He asked, with a sad expression upon his young and innocent looking face.

“God Nick I’m not being cold to you…get a grip…I just don’t need you comforting-pawing me aight?”

“I wanted to be your friend…”

“Before or after you tried to make a move on me? Fuck, I don’t want that.” Her eyes grew stormy and the alcohol was giving her the slight buzz she needed, and the anger at what was happening grew. An unseen mist began to hover her. Outside the wind grew fierce and howled strongly as her necklace charm grew warm underneath her shirt, unknowingly glowing.

Nick grabbed her hand boldly, his mind wondering what he was doing. His mind telling him he wasn’t worth anything….his nerves grew and as when he was nervous, he had a hard time getting words out.

“F-fine…but I do want to be friends; I’m friends with your brother…wh-wh-…why wouldn’t I want to be friends with you?”

The mist vanished at that motion and Ray’s eyes softened. “Alright, I’ll give you that chance. I have to get a paper done for creative wring now…I‘m not a good writer so it‘ll take awhile. ” She said hoarsely and truthfully. For that class had been giving her trouble, despite her creative self. Writing obviously would not be her thing. She left to go to her dorm, her one sanctuary now that Jamelet would not be there. She needed a break from all of this, and the drink craving was gone. Nick stood behind her, watching her walk away with the slightest brightening in his dark sapphire eyes.


**************

Brian sat his camera down with a sigh and put aside the notepad. Obviously nothing would be useful to the story about the production he had to write. Far from a review. He didn’t have a scene to rehearse till later, and it was only Summer Nights, and We Go Together, since those were his only real dance scenes. What could he write though? That the dance couch seemed to be far too harsh on two students in particular. His azure eyes watched as Ms. Serena gave the extra dancers a break and started talking to Jamelet about assumingly her role as Cha-Cha… Maybe see if Ray was even going to come back. She worried Brian, but how could he save her when he cannot save himself? His thoughts were interrupted by the friendly southern girl who came over. He grinned at Julia as she blew a stray copper brown strand away from her face, her sky blue eyes showing her need to rest a moment.

“I miss Mrs. Jackson. She was lot nica than this new one.” She plopped down in a seat beside him.

He nodded, “I know Ray and AJ agree with you. At least they were a little more willing for Mrs. Jackson.”

“Ray ain’t inta dancing is she?”

He smiled a little, “Not since we were kids, me her, Justin, and another friend of ours used to take classes.”

“She alright?” she asked, referring to what happened earlier on the stage.

“She will, she wants to be alone right now.”

Julia nodded and then glanced at the stage. An instant smirk at the student and teacher appeared. “Jamelet‘s gotta happy ya know, she’s da fave of Serena.”

“What about you?”

“Y’all ‘ll see tha happen when pigs wear tutus. Whatcha doin’ afta this?”

“Not sure.”

“Lets grab Howie, Alyssa, Ray Anne, Nick, Jay, and his bro Kev and see what’s cookin’ ‘round ‘ere. By tha way, have ya heard from Kevvy?”

“Sounds good…Ray prolly won‘t go though.” He would check on Ray but he knew when he shouldn’t. “And as for Kevin, I’ve seen him in class and that’s it, he’s always busy with schoolwork he says.”

Julia grinned and grabbed Brian’s hand, pulling him up. “Lets go a checkin’ on him then and ditch this pop stand.” she ran to the door that lead straight outside to the parking lot, ignoring the fact rehearsals technically hadn’t ended, dragging Brian behind her.



**************


Howie headed down the hall with his best friend other than his step sister. Alyssa. She hugged him with a grin as they headed out of the school.

“Long time no see.” She joked.

He laughed, his curly dark flowing hair flowing in the harsh wind that had started suddenly. Rehearsals had been ended once Ms. Serena saw her lead girl wasn’t returning, Alex wouldn’t work without her, and that then her Kenickie and Rizzo had walked out as well. Howie was glad it ended because it was turning into a disaster and he was just the stage manager.

“Between the play and school, I’m busy enough. How you been keeping busy?”

She grinned. “Julia and I have been hanging since she’s just a dance extra. She’s insane. I can see why AJ hangs with her.”

He laughs, “Is it true she went skinny dipping with AJ and Ray Anne?”

“Yeah.”

Howie cracked up laughing. “The people here are loons.”

“How’s Jam? I haven’t seen her lately.”

“Busy chasing Nick.”

Alyssa rolled her dark soulful coffee eyes. “Good luck to her. Hey, lets grab AJ, and Kev and do something.”

He was about to say yes when he saw a tall figure in the distance leaning against a pole and covered in shadows. The wind began to die down around them. His stomach churned in recognition. No it couldn’t be. This school was supposed to be saving him and Jam! No dammit, it couldn’t be. He hid the look of disgust and shook his head. He had to stop Jamelet from being violated, and take the beating. He had to protect her. He was being rash, yes. But he couldn’t take the chance that he could get to her; very oblivious to the fact the man had gotten to her without his knowing before, and that he could have this time…

“You go on ahead,” the young Latino teen said quietly, looking away but not at where Randall stood.

“You sure?” She asked with a frown.

“Lyssy Lee, go, have fun, I gotta go do something while I have the time, and I’ll make it up to you okay?” He forced a smile.

She nodded slowly. “Promise.”

“I swear.”

He watched her leave with a sigh and went over to the man before he could reach Jamelet’s room. He knew what was coming and prepared himself for the pain coming from the rougher, taller, and muscular man. Howie knew he had to do this. He had to be the sacrifice so Jamelet could have that flicker of hope of escaping this life. It was up to him to give it to her.


*********


Nick sat out there in the halls, mostly thinking. About his parents, all they’ve told him. About things at the school. He was confused on what to believe. His parents had to be right, right? They’ve always known he wasn’t worth anything, still here, they keep saying he’s gifted. That he’s worth so much, that he’s talented. What’s real and what’s not. He didn’t really know. Sadly people at the school have been telling him his gifts fro some time, but this year is the first time he’s really heard them, he just doesn’t realize it. He shook his head, not wanting to muddle his mind anymore. He turned to go back inside the theater, knowing sooner or later he’d be missed. Before he could however, he turned around to run into Justin. He sighed. Great, just what he needed to complete this weird day right?

“Carter-”

“Justin I don’t need this.” He muttered. “Irritate me later.”

“Carter, you need to learn to leave that girl alone. I don’t want you messing with her. I ALWAYS keep trash from hurting my friends.”

Nick’s eyes blazed, he didn’t want this. He didn’t need this, but he just got back a little ground with the confusingly sensitive girl. Couldn’t the world give him a break that didn’t come from his mother in the painful way? “Timber-fucking-flake, b-ba-ack off, she’s my friend too, get used to it and l-leave me the hell alone. I said I don’t need this shit.” He stated coldly in a bolder way that was a bit out of character for him. He pushed his way past the curly haired boy and Anastay, having glanced outside to see where he Nick had gone smiled a bit. Well, there was hope for at least one of the ones down here on this accursed planet.
The Silent Cry by Rose
“Lost Souls”

“In the shadows I will cry
all believe my shallow lie
No one ever sees the pain,
keep me for personal gain
yet here too much I care
wonder what’s behind that stare
do you like me
do you see me
do you hear me
or is it that mask I wear
not caring how I fare
I want someone to see
past who I pretend to be
too much to ask for
so I walk out that door
worse off than before
all the time pleading
all the time needing
for them to hear the painful cry
and see beyond my shallow lie”

- Shallow Lie, by Rose


Chapter 13: The Silent Cry


Howie staggers into his dorm room. His entire body screamed with pain. He felt like a giant bruise. His right eye swollen and hard to see through, cuts along his face and arms. Dark black and purple bruises covered ninety percent of body. He looked like he was hit by a car, and was incredibly lucky there were no bones broken. Still, Randal beat him and that would save Jamelet from being taken advantage of by him. Justin was sitting on his bed, trying to study as one of his rap cds played. Eminem, from the sound of it. Howie wants to roll his eyes. He was getting very sick of Rap, being played day in and out by the roommate from hell. Justin always seemed a bit cocky in his eyes. That might because he was friends with Nick though.

Justin was the other main popular kid at Bright sky. The consensus generally was you were friends with one or the other. Never both. Before the year started AJ was the only exception to that. That was expected though, he was friendly with everyone, just picky with his own friends. Now Ray and Brian added to that, but it was understandable since they knew him long before now. Justin was friends with Alyssa actually, but she didn’t try hanging out with both Howie and him at the same time. Julia too, but she was also new. He starts towards his own bed, hoping Justin is too distracted to notice him. Bad luck yet again. For he looks up with startled dark blue eyes just as he tries to.

“Howie, what the hell happened to you?” He frowns with concern. Sure the two weren’t close, but he looked like he got in a fight with Mike Tyson.

Howie shrugs, pushing a dark curl away from a stinging cut along his forehead. “Just got in a fight at a club.”

“Was the guy a former boxing champion?! Jesus, you’re a mess man.”

He sits on the bed slowly, glancing at the young curly haired blond. “Worse than it looks. It’s fine.”

Justin stares at him oddly. Looks are deceiving then, he knows he’d be in serious pain if that was him. “Maybe we should take you to the nurse, or a doctor…”

“No, I’m cool.” he fake coughs violently, wincing just a little at the pain it causes. “Just catching a cold I think.” He sighs and turns on the TV. “Nothing I can’t handle.”

Justin sighs and goes back to studying. Surely he was overreacting to Howie’s injuries. If he said he didn’t, he didn’t right? As he continued to study for his US History test, he didn’t see the tears well up in the Latin teen’s eyes as he looked away to hide them, wanting to cry at the helplessness of it all.

Soon Howie went into a restless sleep. As he sleeps, in his dream he sees in the corner a young blonde boy crying only the age of 10. At first he thinks it’s Nick but then gets a glance at the face. Brian? Howie stares at the kid version of his friend.

“You’re not supposed to be here” the child said, tears streaming from the innocent baby blues.

“Where am I?”

“My hiding place. No one knows about my place.”

Howie kneels down to face the shorter child. “Not even your sister?”

He shakes his head rapidly. “ Annie Janie can’t know.”

“Who’s Annie Janie?”

“My sister! Ray Anne Jane Littrell. You’re silly Howie.”

“You know me?”

He nods, the strawberry curls giving his young face more childlike innocence. “You ask silly questions…”

He sits up in his bed, fully awake and wincing at all the pain it caused. He shakes his head. Mumbling about strange dreams and no more listening to Twilight Zone reruns before bed, he goes back to sleep, the tears still in his eyes, but never falling before the escape sleep brings, returns to him.


***************


Sam Lorden strolls down the hall, looking for someone she knew in the crowded mess. Because of her youth it was increasingly harder to befriend someone. She did meet Ray Anne, Jamelet, and Nick, but all seem too wrapped up in their own worlds. She didn’t want to tag along behind her sister Anastay, all the time. Other thoughts swirled up within her mind, thoughts no one could even tell were there, or predict. Too wrapped up in those thoughts, she trips over something, spilling her things onto the floor. Many of the students laugh at her misfortune and she makes a face of frustration, biting her tongue to keep her from saying something she’d regret.

A hand reaches for her as an offer to help her up. She takes it with an embarrassed smile, looking up to see a kind looking young man with strawberry blonde hair and cerulean eyes, without any false pretenses resting within them. A rare thing for this school. Another teen was helping her gather her stuff. He had curly golden locks and deep indigo eyes, more mysterious and hypnotic. She smiles wider, well this is a start.

“Sorry about that, I didn’t see you. I’m Sam Lorden.” She says as she gets her books.

“Brian.” The one who helped her up replies, “And aren’t you Ana’s little sister? I work with her for the play.”

“Yeah that’s her.” Sam laughs, “I got skipped up a grade and transferred here so I’m still trying to get used to this place.”

“I’m Justin.” The curly haired one says with a charming smile. “Don’t worry, not everyone here is an annoying snob. I swear.” He holds his hand up playfully.

She laughs with a grin. “Boy scouts honor?”

Brian laughs along with Justin. “he can’t go that far, neither of us are boy scouts but we promise not all of us are.”

As they head down the hall, Samantha smirks, maybe that spill was more than worth it after all. Far more.


**************


Ray Anne sits in her small concert piano class, taking a breath to try and steady herself. Time to actually help her friend instead of watching it continue. Alex told her for a reason right? Because he needs this. It’s the only class she has with him and she swore not to tell anyone. Including Brian. She sighs, things have been a bit more distant between her and her brother than she’d like. She’s not trying to push him away, it’s just happening. She’d have to talk to him later. She watches as the few students came in. Most were seniors, very few juniors were in this class so she did always feel a bit honored. The piano she had taken up in middle school, when her world had come crashing down. Loss of parents, family, and her best friends. It became her sanctuary and escape from the world, and it still is. The one thing not connected to any of the things ruining her past.

She looks up and waves Kevin over as he strolls in. He smiles, but the look in his emerald orbs worried her. He looked so worn out, tired, like what she had seen when she first met him wasn’t there anymore. The confidence, the charm, and caring. It all was vanished from his eyes.

“Hey, what’s up?” she says casually as she tucks a bouncing honeysuckle curl behind her ear.

“Hi, nothing really. Just tired.” he replies in the deep voice that so fit his personality, suave, charming, fun. When he wasn’t working far too much anyway, in Ray Anne’s opinion.

“Up late last night?”

He nods as waits for the bell to ring. A few of his raven colored strands, falling and framing his expressive eyes. “Studying, after I got home from work.”

She watches him, her sapphire eyes taking him in. Unsure of how to go about this still. How do you tell someone he needs to ease off work while not sounding bossy or like you’re butting in too far? Was it even possible?

“Alex is worried about you.” She says softly, carefully. “saying you’re overdoing it and-”

“I need to talk to Ms. Keys.” He replies, referring to their teacher, Miss Alicia Keys, a renowned pianist who had retired the concert halls and chose to instruct future talents at Bright Sky two years ago. She came from New York, had dark mocha skin, braided locks, and soft chocolate eyes that showed the artist within, behind her ethnic looks. Kevin stands, heading over to her and ending the conversation. Booms of thunder resound outside and Ray frowns, was there supposed to be a storm today?

Ray sighs, she knew it would end up that way. But what was she to do? She had to start somewhere right? Minutes later the bell rings and Ms. Keys heads to the front, about to explain the piece they were to explore for the next few weeks. Before she can however, a young man enters the room with a questioning look. He is lean with a slight feminine air about him, but far from gay. His dark brown locks are spiked, and his eyes a clear shining blue the color of the sky on a bright sunny day. He looks unsure of where he is. “Excuse me?”

Miss Keys looks over with a slight annoyed glance at the disturbance. Ray Anne keeps her eyes upon the young man. He looks so familiar. It couldn’t be. No it was impossible. “Yes?” the young teacher asks.

“I just got transferred here.” He smiles and Ray’s eyes widens. It was who she thinks it is. No one else possessed a smile so bright and dazzling. “Is this concert piano? I missed first and was sent here.”

“Yes,” She took a look at his schedule. “Joshua Chasez.”

“I go by Josh.” He informed her with a smile.

Even the teacher couldn not help but smile back. Yep that was her Josh. Why was he here? “Please find a seat and I will have one of the students fill you in.” She looks around and spots an empty seat by the young blonde. “How about over there by Ray Anne. Ray Anne please-”

He looks around and his own eyes widen when he spots her. Both are truly surprised at the coincidence. “I know her.” He says softly and sits by her. Miss Keys continues with her lecture and instruction but both Ray and Josh are far too distracted to pay attention and talk in whispers.

There was a long history between Josh and Ray Anne. They had been best friends growing up, her, Josh, Justin, and Brian. Always them four. Then her parents died, sending them to her uncle, and Justin’s mom made it big, keeping him away from them because of her. Josh had kept in touch with Ray and Brian. They started high school together and Ray and him had even dated for almost a year, from when she was a month past thirteen to when she almost turned fourteen. They broke up because his father had died in a car accident. His mother had been long gone in childbirth so Josh went to his rich aunt. She had been happy to have him, and loved him like her own son. She lived too far from Ray and Brian and sadly they lost touch. It happened when his Aunt moved them to a bigger house and during the move (much to Josh’s despair) the Littrell number was lost. Then their uncle, being the person he is, hadn’t paid bills and the number was disconnected and changed by the time he found it. So the communication was gone. And all four went on with their lives. Josh just got transferred to Bright Sky, this being his junior year at seventeen, because his aunt discovered his amazing skills at the piano. Ones that surpassed Ray by far, and in fact he was the one who had gotten her started playing. He also had the voice of an angel. So his Aunt Donna got him into the best art school she knew of, Bright Sky.

“Joshy…” She says softly, trying to make sure to himself that he was there. The odds of this were surreal, like this experience. She hugs him tight while Miss Keys was letting them “soak in the piece.” Which was basically watching her play as an example.

“Anne…” He hugs her back just as tight, some of the lingering feelings still there even after two years. Their relationship had had a forced ending, far from a natural one. Still Ray had moved on and dated someone new, and the incident happened. He remembered that vividly, Ray calling him sobbing. She only repeated over and over she’d never trust anything related to love again. All he did was comfort her. That was two weeks before the move. Now it was a little past two years after that. Nothing had changed with his Anne, the same curly blond hair, same innocent looking face and ocean eyes, only looking thirteen. The only difference being her height, then she was 5’3”, now she’s five inches taller. He had changed more in height as well, though his face had matured a bit as well, still he never lost the smile she once loved.

“What are you doing here?” They both whisper simultaneously.

“Scholarship. You?”

“Aunt Donna heard me play one night and declared it her duty to send me. Wait, is Rok here too?”

She nods with a small smile. “Yeah Bri and I both won scholarships in a talent contest thing. You’ll never believe this but Juju’s here too.”

“How is Justin here?!”

“Only the best from his mother. I miss the pre snobby days she used to have.”

“Ditto. So how are you? Is everything better now that you‘re away? It‘s been too long…Is Brian ok?” He smiles happily and Ray then remembers why she used to love it. It was infectious.

To be honest she hated her life. Her parents were dead and never coming back. Love is something she yearns for but knows is a fantasy. Jamelet is out to ruin her. Brian is hiding something, she knows it. Nick? She didn’t even know how to sort that mess out. Alex is worried sick about Kevin, Kevin is overworking himself. She can’t even handle high school stress without a drink and she knows she should be able to. She started drinking after the incident. Nothing was fine. Far from it. But instead she smiles and says, “Better, great. Much better than it used to be” But despite saying that she wishes for someone to see beyond the shallow lies she always tells. Beyond the happy smiling perfect girl, and hear the silent cries. To see the broken girl within. But even him, once her closest friend and first love, is sadly blind as they compare class schedules.


*********


Jamelet stalks down the hall, not caring about how she’s ditching her Home Ec class. It was an easy one to make up, why should she care? A comment Justin had told her earlier was what was driving her now. One that said Is your brother alright? He came back from a club fight and then got sick… One that told her perhaps there was a reason Randall did not set a date for his new use of her. He couldn’t have could he? No, she was trying desperately to stop this! She stormed into Howie’s dorm room and gasped as she saw him on the bed, his face swollen and bruised.

“What happened?!”

“Got in a fight at a club-”

She narrows her fierce tan eyes. “Don’t give me that shit. I know better.”

He stares right at her determinedly. “It’s true.”

“Did HE do this?”

“Did who?”

“You know who I mean. Randall, did he do this!?”

“I had to-”

“You had to nothing!? Why did you let him do this?!”

“You don’t understand Jammy! I was PROTECTING you!”

Jamelet turns away and just walks out silently, her eyes filling with confused, tormented tears as she stalks off to her own room, not up to class anymore. “No you don’t understand…” she whispers to herself. “I was the one protecting YOU.”


***************


Justin stands in the gym before Brian with a grin, bouncing the basketball idly. The two had decided to let off some stress after classes with a simple game of basket ball. Justin’s eyes dance with light, a bandana covering his mop of curls. “It’s been awhile since you and I played. You up for it shorty?” he teases.

Brian smirks, wearing another of his collections of baseball shirts with long sleeves which covered the scars he had from cutting too deep a few times. His sweater he had on was sitting with his backpack in the bleachers. Usually they were shallow enough to have no scar so after a week or so, he’d be alright if he cut along the shoulder where no one saw. “Dynamite comes in small packages.” he goes for Justin as he dribbles by, able to sneak the ball away from him. Justin laughs as he runs back after him, as Brian makes a lay-up shot into the basket.

“You ain’t rusty, but that’s luck.”

“It ain’t luck, it’s the B-Rok skill, you just forgot in those three years you were gone.” Brian says as he used to when they were kids, Brian twelve and Justin eleven.

Justin grins as he gets the ball and shoots a three pointer easily. “Do you remember the last time we did this?” he tosses the ball over to Brian, neither of them really playing, more messing around.

“The day before you moved.” Brian sighs, “Annie didn’t know yet, and she was with Josh at his piano lessons his dad had him take.”

Justin nods, “That was the game I told you. I knew for a week but was scared of telling you, because you had been with your uncle’s for a month, BB was always crying, and Mom had said I wasn’t allowed to talk to you anymore once we moved.”

“I missed you then. Worst year of my life.”

“You know every game,” He goes and sits on one of the bleachers and Brian joins him. “We never play long, we end up talking.”

He nods, “I know, but we haven’t talked in awhile. This is good. How is life, now that you’re rich, I know Annie will never ask you about it.”

“Not perfect, lonely, never sure if my friends liked me for my last name, or for me. Before when we weren’t rich, man things I wanted then I have now, I’d give up for before. I knew then who I could trust. My mom, I love her, she loves me, but she‘s not the same once fame came into her business.”

Brian smiles a little. “You can trust me.”

Justin smiles back. “I know, and although you have y’alls own flaws, like being friends with Carter, it’s nice not to have to ask myself that with some people. I’m just worried bout ya, three years with your Uncle Johnny, he was a prick man….” He left the rest unsaid but Brian knew what he meant. Justin was worried about the damage it had on him and Ray.

“You know what’s funny? I’m worried about the same thing.” Brian says with a sigh, grabbing his stuff and heading out of the gym. He was worried about them all, never thinking once about the cry for help his own habit of cutting truly is. Always thinking of others, never himself.


***************


Nick stands before a canvas in his and Brian’s room, contemplating just what to create. He felt pensive and when he feels that way he paints. The one way he knows of getting his feelings out. Even if he isn’t any good like his parents say, it’s supposedly good therapy right? He grabs a pen brush, dipping it into the pain. His hand runs along the paper, and soon the picture within becomes more and more visible. As it does, it is more and more distinctly eight pairs of hands, each with a glowing pair within, shooting a ray into the center to form a glimmering ball of light. He smiles as he continues, for hours on end, making the painting look more and more real. It was more optimistic than he usually does, and he wasn’t even feeling this way, but it was what had come to mind when he started. Why did he paint that? He wonders idly. Before anymore thought to it arrives, Brian walks in the door, in a blue sweater due to the colder weather coming. He scratched his arm a bit as he does, looking a little distracted. He spots Nick and grins, stopping the scratching immediately.

“Hey Frack,” He greets as he notices the painting. “That’s good…”

Nick smiles a bit embarrassedly. “It’s not but thanks.”

“Different from your style man, happier.”

“What came to mind when I started.” he replies with a shrug, as he puts his art supplies away. “Where you been? Haven’t seen you lately.”

“Talking to my creative writing teacher, she thinks I have potential.” He lied, not wanting to say where he really was. His teacher did say that to him today so Brian did feel better that it wasn’t COMPLETELY a lie. Just partially. Lord knows Nick had a low self image and hated Justin. He still doesn’t get why.

“Hey, Bri look who I have!” Ray cheers, running into the room and bringing in someone Nick doesn’t recognize at all. But clearly Brian did because his eyes brightened and soon he was hugging him. Nick stood there awkwardly with a sigh, letting the blonde tresses cover his eyes and therefore his emotions. Once again he was getting replaced. Of course he didn’t have friends. He should have known. When did he ever? Why did he think he was getting some now?

Brian was too amazed by the fact Josh was there. There was someone Ray needed, the two used to be close, even when they were little, five and six. At one point they were closer than Brian was with his own sister. Though the four had always been close friends they had paired off then, Justin and Brian, who usually played basketball, and Josh and Ray, who as they got older was Ray watching Josh play the piano. Then they’d all take their dance class together. Justin still took the same classes, Ray quit the dance class when they were sent to their uncle and only went there for gymnastics to keep her body in shape. Brian quit same time Ray Anne did, and Josh didn’t quit till he went to his aunt. The one class he’d have with Josh now was Choir, in which he had ditched today saying he was going to the counselors, to cover what he was truly doing. Something his itching arms are reminding him of. As the two talk, catch up and reminisce, Nick feels more and more an outsider in his own room. Finally Ray Anne sees Nick and feels a bit bad for how everything has been between them, and how she accidentally ignored him now, knowing how low his self esteem is.

“Nick, this is Josh, Josh this is Nick. Josh is my old bestest friend Nick. Josh, Nick is a good friend now.” She says quickly not sure how to explain something she doesn’t even understand. Before Josh could even try to get to know Nick however, Nick brushed by them.

“I’m going over to find Jay.” He mutters and leaves without another word, once in the hall, he sighs sadly. He’s not going to try to find AJ, Kevin, Howie, Julia, Alyssa, or even Jamelet, who he thought to be a bit too forward and clingy. None of them really want him around, just like how Ray Anne and Brian don’t. Things never change. He was always alone, and he’ll always will be. He heads into the school building on the campus and into an empty classroom, always feeling forever alone. And within his troubled soul, all he felt was his silent cry.






**AN- “Shallow Lie” was a poem written by me so do not steal or use without my permission. Thanks.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=43