I Believe by QueenOfConfusion98
Summary: Howie finds out late one night that angels really are among us.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2372 Read: 902 Published: 09/20/05 Updated: 09/20/05

1. I Believe by QueenOfConfusion98

I Believe by QueenOfConfusion98

I Believe


‘What a night’ Howie thought to himself as he drove home late one night. He had been at his club, Tabu, most of the day going over some files and he was tired from looking at so many pieces of paper and answering phones that all he wanted to do was go home and sleep. He turned the radio up loud as he drove to keep him awake but regretted it when a song came on he didn’t like- “Here’s Justin T. with...” the DJ began but Howie quickly turned the station, “No way am I listening to that!” he said, laughing.


Howie searched several more stations but had no luck finding anything. “Why must they play the same stupid crap every hour?” he asked out loud. He often wondered if they just picked random CD’s and put them on repeat all day just to drive people insane. He finally just gave up and turned the radio down do he didn’t have to hear it. He laughed at this, shaking his head at the silliness of it.


As he drove on, Howie noticed an object in the road ahead. At first he thought it was just a small tree limb or something but, as he got closer, he noticed that it was a piece of metal. “Oh, Crap!” Howie yelled as he realized the situation too late and he hit the object blowing out his tire as he did so. His car skidded wildly as he tried to regain control of it, but it was no use. His car slammed head on into a tree, knocking him out and pinning him inside.


Several minutes later, Howie slowly came back to reality “What..how...? was all he could say at first and it took a lot of effort to say just those few words. He somehow managed to open his eyes and saw his car smashed against the tree; he also realized his left arm was broken along with several ribs, his leg, and several other bones he couldn’t comprehend at the moment. His cell phone was smashed and he couldn’t get the door open either because it was damaged so badly.


He tried to move but it was no use being that he was in too much pain and he noticed that the steering wheel was resting painfully on his legs, preventing him from escaping the car. “Help..somebody...please...” Howie choked out. “Please!! Is anyone..out there?” he tried to scream but couldn’t due to the fact his lungs were having difficulty taking in air because he was hyperventilating.


Several minutes passed by and he saw no signs of any other cars on the road, nor were there any homes nearby. He was beginning to wonder if he’d even be found, since the road was so deserted and it being so late. ‘Why me?’ Howie thought, ‘I don’t wanna die out here...alone..’ He suddenly began to smell something, like gasoline, everywhere, and he was starting to panic. “Oh GOD please... don’t let me DIE!!” He screamed out, his voice sounding ragged.


In his mind, he began to flashback to things that happened in his life, growing up at home, going to school, graduating, meeting AJ while in college, forming the group, becoming successful in Europe then the US,


losing Caroline, forming the DLF. He knew he had accomplished many things in his life but, he never thought he’d go this way......


As he was beginning to completely lose hope that he’d be found alive he heard something. “Hello?” a voice said. Howie thought he was hearing things, but it continued, louder this time. “Hey! Are you ok?” the voice said again. “NO, I’m hurt, please get me out of here!” Howie cried out in pain, feeling sick and panicked, especially since the gas smell was getting stronger.


“Hold on, I’ll get you out! Please stay calm.” the person said, coming closer to the car. Howie realized it was a man, at least 6’ tall with dark hair and green eyes. “Don’t worry, I’ll help you, just have faith.” Howie nodded, praying that he’d hurry. The man left and came back with a crowbar and started prying the door open. After a few minutes the door creaked open and the man was able to get the steering wheel off Howie’s legs and gently got him out of the car. Howie suddenly felt an amazingly calm feeling come over him as the man picked him up. He carried Howie over to the side of the road away from his smashed car. “Hey..what’s your name?” Howie asked softly. The man smiled and answered, “My name is Josh. What’s your name?” Howie looked up slowly and said “My name is Howie...Dorough...” Josh smiled and replied. “Don’t worry, Howie, you’ll be okay, I promise you that. Help will be here shortly.” he smiled.


He pulled out a white cloth from his pocket and began to clean some of the cuts on Howie’s face. As he did so, Howie again felt a calmness wash over him, as if a heavenly presence had been there the whole time. He didn’t feel as scared as he had before...


About two minutes later, he heard a pop come from his car and then saw flames coming out from under what was left of the hood. Then the car burst into flames, sending smoke into the air.


All Howie could do was stare...‘That could have been me...’ he thought to himself. He suddenly couldn’t stand it anymore and turned his head away. Just thinking about it made him sick to his stomach but he quickly calmed, just thankful to be alive.


Five minutes later, paramedics showed up, assessing his injuries and preparing him for the short trip to the hospital. “Hey, can you please notify my family and my friends, please?” Howie asked. “Sure, Mr. Dorough, of course we will,” said the smiling woman, who was working on getting him settled. Howie looked around, trying to find Josh, so he could thank him for saving his life. He didn’t see him anywhere; “Maybe he’s riding with one of the rescuers...’ he thought. As the rode to the ER, he strained his ears for the man who saved him but, no such luck. Maybe it was all a dream?


A few hours later, he was resting in his room, listening to the radio when his Brothers showed up to check on him. “D!! Are you ok?” AJ asked immediately, as he reached out and hugged his best friend. “I’m fine, really.” Howie replied as the others hugged him as well. “Has anyone heard from Josh?” he asked, getting a few weird looks from the guys. “Who’s Josh? Is he a doctor or something?” Nick asked. Howie shook his head, “No, he..got me out of the car. He did it just in time before the car exploded. He saved my life and I want to thank him. He was about your height, Kevin, had dark hair and green eyes. I didn’t get a last name.” Howie answered. “I can ask the doctor if you want.” Kevin replied. Howie nodded as Kevin left the room for a moment while the others chatted. “So, someone named Josh saved you, huh? I’m thankful for that, the way they talked, your car was a total loss...you could have been too, D.” Brian said.


“I know..it was scary...no one was answering my cries for help. He was the only one who heard me.” Howie replied. A few minutes later, Kevin returned with the doctor, who sat down next to Howie’s bed. “Hi, I’m Doctor Jackson. You say a man named Josh was at the scene of your accident?” Howie nodded and the doctor continued pulling out a newspaper clipping, “Here’s a picture of the man you described. Is this him?” Howie nodded again, “Yes, that’s him, can I please get a hold of him somehow? And how do you know him, if you don’t mind my asking?” The doctor smiled, “ I treated him last year, he was brought in for an emergency surgery due to an accident he had. He was working outside when he fell on a sharp axe he was using. We tried everything, but he didn’t make it.” Howie and everyone else in the room was in total shock. “How? I just saw him, I know I did!” Howie cried, “ I’m not crazy..” he said, this time quietly. “Maybe you were having one of those near-death experiences where..” Brian began but Howie cut him off, “Look, I know who I saw, he was there! I wouldn't lie about something like that...” Howie said, before he just decided to leave it alone. “You all think I’m crazy...” he said, tears streaming down his face.


“What matters is your here, alive, and safe that’s all that matters to us.” Kevin said giving him a reassuring hug. The doctor gave Howie something to think about as he left, “Maybe it was a higher power...miracles do happen.” They all thought for a moment about the doctor’s words. He checked Howie’s vitals and then left the room. As he did, a song came on the TV..


“Every now and then, softest breath on my skin..


I feel you come back again..


and it’s like you haven’t been gone a moment from my side..


Like the tears were never cried


Like the hands of time are holding you and me


And with all my heart I’m sure


we’re closer than we ever were


I don’t have to hear or see..


I’ve got all the proof I need


There are more than angels watching


Over me...I believe.....Oh I believe....”


The video was hauntingly familiar, it depicted a young couple, who had been in an accident and the woman was unconscious. People were all around but no one was helping them... except a mysterious man who came out of no where and helped the woman to wake up. Howie couldn’t believe his eyes at first.. “Wow..” was all he could say. Then, he suddenly felt a presence in the room with him..an angelic one. He swore he could see a man smiling at him, from above the room. The others seemed to notice this too, and they just stared in awe. “Thank you..” was all Howie could say; Nick, Brian, Kevin and AJ did the same.


Two months later, Howie visited the boys’ grave. AJ had driven him there since he was still not able to drive just yet. “You gonna be ok, D?” he asked. “Yeah, I’ll be fine, I’ll only be a minute.” Howie replied. AJ helped Howie out of the car and let him go on ahead. It was cloudy and kind of cool but he had to do this. He just couldn’t help but feel the connection he did being that he did save his life. Howie felt a cool breeze surround him as he made his way to the gravesite. As got closer, he could make out the letters on the headstone:


Josh D. Stone


1973-2002


Rest in Peace


Howie sat quietly for a moment, letting it all sink in. He was still finding it surreal that this boy somehow did what he did. As he placed some flowers at the site, a ray of sunlight peaked out from the clouds. Howie smiled at this, knowing that Josh knew he was there. “Thank you, for everything, I’ll never forget it...” Howie said. He then turned and walked slowly back to the car, felling a bit better and a bit of closure. Howie always knew he had a guardian angel, now he has two.....Caroline and.....Josh.


Every now and then, softest breath on my skin..


I feel you come back again..and it’d like you hadn’t been


Gone a moment from my side, like the tears were never cried


Like the hands of time are holding you and me


And with all my heart I’m sure


we’re closer than we ever were


I don’t have to hear or see..


I’ve got all the proof I need


There are more than angels watching


Over me...I believe.....Oh I believe....


Now when you die your life goes on


It doesn’t end here when you’re gone


Every soul is filled with light


It never ends and if I’m right


Our love can then reach across eternity,


I Believe, Oh I believe..


Forever you’re a part of me


Forever in the heart of me..


I’ll hold you even longer, if I can..


The People who don’t see the most


Say that I believe in ghosts


And if that makes me crazy, then I am...I believe


There are more than angels watching.. Over me


I believe, Oh I believe


Every now and then, softest breath on my skin..


I feel you come back again..and I believe....


Song Credit:


Copyright 2003


Recorded by Diamond Rio for their CD Completely -


Written by Skip Ewing, Donny Kees

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5147