Four Letter Words by Ashleigh
Summary: Kelly hates her father. She doesn't even know him but she hates him. She wants nothing to do with him. But when her mother loses her job, she's sent to live with him. Can she get over her anger towards him and learn to love him? Not without a fight...
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Other
Genres: Drama, Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 58 Completed: No Word count: 52457 Read: 110966 Published: 07/28/03 Updated: 07/29/03

1. 01 by Ashleigh

2. 02 by Ashleigh

3. 03 by Ashleigh

4. 04 by Ashleigh

5. 05 by Ashleigh

6. 06 by Ashleigh

7. 07 by Ashleigh

8. 08 by Ashleigh

9. 09 by Ashleigh

10. 10 by Ashleigh

11. 11 by Ashleigh

12. 12 by Ashleigh

13. 13 by Ashleigh

14. 14 by Ashleigh

15. 15 by Ashleigh

16. 16 by Ashleigh

17. 17 by Ashleigh

18. 18 by Ashleigh

19. 19 by Ashleigh

20. 20 by Ashleigh

21. 21 by Ashleigh

22. 22 by Ashleigh

23. 23 by Ashleigh

24. 24 by Ashleigh

25. 25 by Ashleigh

26. 26 by Ashleigh

27. 27 by Ashleigh

28. 28 by Ashleigh

29. 29 by Ashleigh

30. 30 by Ashleigh

31. 31 by Ashleigh

32. 32 by Ashleigh

33. 33 by Ashleigh

34. 34 by Ashleigh

35. 35 by Ashleigh

36. 36 by Ashleigh

37. 37 by Ashleigh

38. 38 by Ashleigh

39. 39 by Ashleigh

40. 40 by Ashleigh

41. 41 by Ashleigh

42. 42 by Ashleigh

43. 43 by Ashleigh

44. 44 by Ashleigh

45. 45 by Ashleigh

46. 46 by Ashleigh

47. 47 by Ashleigh

48. 48 by Ashleigh

49. 49 by Ashleigh

50. 50 by Ashleigh

51. 51 by Ashleigh

52. 52 by Ashleigh

53. 53 by Ashleigh

54. 54 by Ashleigh

55. 55 by Ashleigh

56. 56 by Ashleigh

57. 57 by Ashleigh

58. 58 by Ashleigh

01 by Ashleigh
I know who my father is. Of course I know. Mom had never been hesitant about giving me that information. And she never hesitated to remind me, either. Every time BSB were on TV Mom would jump up and say, "There's your dad, Kelly! There he is!" Like it was some kind of an "honor" or something to have a popstar as a dad.

Now I'll admit it; when I was younger-like six or something-I thought it was pretty awesome to have him as my dad. Even if I never saw him or talked to him. All the girls would talk about how cool he was. I wanted to scream out, "He's my dad! AJ McLean is my dad!" But I knew I couldn't...No one would believe me.

There was even the time when I was about nine-years-old that I wanted to live with him. See, my mom was working two part-time jobs. But that was barely enough to live on. At least not comfortably. We could afford to buy food every week, and that was about it. We didn't have a lot of the things that most families had become accustomed to. For a long time we didn't even have a phone! I also don't remember having a lot of toys or anything like that. The only toy I really know about is this stupid stuffed pink dog. I have no idea who gave it to me. All I know is this: I still have it and it stays on my bed...

Anyway, my mom got in touch with him and asked if I could stay with him for a while until she got a steady job. She mailed the letter and for the next week or two I prayed he would say yes.

One day I came home from school and checked the mail. And there it was: the letter from my father. My mom was at work and wouldn't be coming home until around midnight. I absolutely couldn't wait that long, so I opened the letter as soon as I got inside. I must have read it 10 times...I still remember exactly what it said:

Allison,
I'm sorry things are so hard for you right now. I wish I could do this for you and take Kelly, but I just can't. I'm away all the time, and you know me, I'm not the most mature person in the world. Kelly deserves, and needs, someone better than me. She needs you. I'll do the one thing that I actually can do now and pay child support from now on. Tell Kelly I love her.

Love, Alex

I dropped the letter on the table and ran to my room. I stayed in my bed and cried until my mom came home. She'd obviously seen the letter and knew that I'd read it, because she came into my room and sat down next to me on my bed.

"Oh Kelly," She said, pulling me up into a hug, "I'm so sorry. But your dad really does love you. And he's willing to help us out."

Love. Ha! Yeah right. The words probably not even in his vocabulary. And the whole "child support" thing. He hasn't sent one check in the 13 years I've been alive. I hate him. And I though my mom did, too.

But obviously she doesn't hate him too much considering she's once again trying to talk him into taking me in. She's in the kitchen making the call now. But not on our phone. Oh no! On her best friends phone. We're staying with her now. We got evicted from our OWN apartment last month after Mom got laid off from the bar she was working at and we couldn't pay our bills or the rent. So it was, pack everything up! We're moving in with Miss Casey!

So that's where I am now. In Casey's living room with her two-year-old son watching Blues Clues.

"Derek, I'm hungry. Do you want anything?" I asked him.

"Cookie." He replied, not taking his eyes off Blue.

I smiled at him. Little kids can be so cute! I got up and walked into the kitchen at exactly the wrong time. Mom was blowing up at AJ.

"She's 13-years-old! She deserves better! You're my only hope!" She yelled.

I tried to walk quietly behind her, but she knew I was there. "Here she is now." She grabbed my arm and pulled me to her. "Kelly, do you like it here?" She asked me.

Damn. Just has to pull me in doesn't she? Eh, I'll bite. I moved in closer to Mom so I was directly next to the phone. "I live in a crack house with a druggie, Mommy dearest...What do you think? And if that jackass don't let me live with him..." I could feel my anger building up, "I'm gonna fly out to Florida just to kick his pansy little boyband ass!"

"Kelly, calm down." Mom said to me.

I stood up straight. "No Mom! I won't calm down! HE is the reason my life has been hell! HE is the reason I have had NOTHING my entire life! He doesn't care about me at all! And the fact that you have to...argue with him just so he can give me, his daughter, a better life proves it!I hate him!" I screamed. I ran out of the kitchen, through the living room, and straight into the room I called my own. I know he'd heard me. But I didn't feel guilty at all. He deserved it.
02 by Ashleigh
A few hours later Mom came into my "room." "Kelly," She said, closing the door behind her, "You really hurt your dad with what you said."

I shrugged, not looking up from the skating magazine I was flipping through. "Now he knows how I feel." I told her simply.

Mom sighed and sat down on my bed. "Your father has done nothing but love and care about you your entire life." She said.

"Well, he sure does have a fucked way of showing it, doesn't he?" I questioned, finally looking up.

"Hey, watch it, Kel." Mom told me. I just rolled my eyes. "This day has been bad enough without you adding to it."

"Fine, sorry." I said, giving in. I hated to see my mom upset. "So what did he say?" I asked. I was ever so eager to hear yet another rejection. Yeah...right.

But surprisingly, Mom smiled. "He said yes. He says you can stay with him as long as you need." She told me excitedly.

I, on the other hand, was not excited. "How much convincing did you have to give him?" I asked.

Mom shook her head and said, "Not much at all." She smiled at me and continued, "After you came in and started to yell at him, he practically jumped at the chance."

"Ah," I said, finally getting it, "It was the ever popular guilt trip that convinced him."

Mom shrugged. "Maybe a little." She said, "But he really just wants you to love him again."

"Again?" I laughed, "I never loved him in the first place."

"Yes you did, Kelly. I know you did." Mom told me.

I shook my head. "I just loved the idea of him." I told her, getting off of my bed, "Never the actual person."

I grabbed my big black jacket off of my doorknob and began to put it on.

"Where are you going?" Mom asked me.

"A walk." I told her, opening and walking out of my door.

"But it's late. It's not safe." Mom told me.

I turned to face her. "I'm a big girl," I assured her, "I can defend myself."

I walked through the small apartment and opened the front door. Stepping out into the half-fresh air was a bit refreshing. As I walked down the street, it almost took my mind off of my problems.

Once I had gotten a little ways down the street, a guy on a skateboard came up behind me and slapped my ass before speeding off again.

"Hey!" I yelled, "Jackass!" That's what I get for walking in the ghetto part of Las Vegas at night...

The guy on the board stopped, but I wasn't scared. I knew I could take him. He kicked his board up before turning to face me. I knew who it was immediately.

"Jared!" I yelled, laughing. I ran to catch up with him. Jared Knowles. My best friend since the third grade, when he came to Vegas from LA. We him it off immediately. He was the only one who knew my little "secret" about my dad.

"Hey, what are you doing out here so late?" He asked me.

"I could ask you the same thing." I told him.

Jared shrugged. "I had to get away from my parents for a while. They were pissing me off."

We began to walk down the street. "Me too. In fact it was both my parents this time." I told him.

"Why? Is your dad finally visiting you?" Jared asked, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"No," I told him, resting my head on his shoulder, "The other way around."


You're going to visit him? That's cool." Jared said.

"Sort of." I said. How could I tell my best friend that I'm moving? We're like, all each others got! (Well, he's also got his board...But you know what I mean.)

"What's going on?" Jared asked me.

I sighed heavily. "I have to go live with my dad." I muttered.

"What?!" Jared exclaimed, stopping us both in the middle of the sidewalk. "You're moving?"

I nodded miserably. "Only until my mom can get a new job and move out of Casey's." I told him.

"You can move in with me. I'll hide you in my closet and give you food every night." Jared said, "You don't mind my mom's cooking do you? It kind of sucks."

I laughed. "Your mom's cooking is great, but I don't think it will work." I told him.

"Yeah. You're right.." Jared said, He began to walk again and I walked beside him. "What am I gonna do without you, Kelly?"

"I have no idea. You'll probably die or something." I told him with a laugh.

"Yeah, I will. Now there's no one to go to the skatepark with, no one to make fun of the new sixth graders with, no one to throw ice on the basketball courts and laugh when the players fall with. It'll suck without you." Jared told me.

"Stop it, J. You're gonna make me cry." I told him. It was true, too. I'm gonna miss him so much when I leave.

Jared smiled. "Sorry." He said, "Do you want me to take you home?"

I shook my head. "No. No no no no no. I can not face my mom tonight. I don't want to hear any more about going with my dad." I told him, "Do you mind if I crash at your place? Just for tonight?"

Jared shrugged. "Yeah, sure you can."

"You sure your mom won't mind?" I asked him.

"Nope. So many kids at our house anyway it won't really make much of a difference." Jared told me. He has 5 brothers and sisters and they live in a two bedroom apartment. He has to share a room with his older and younger brother. They were really cramped!

"Okay, great." I said, "Let's go."

Jared and I walked the rest of the way to his apartment. We didn't say much. It was a good thing, too. I didn't want to talk about going to Florida. I felt bad enough about it already.
03 by Ashleigh
"Jared Anthony Knowles!" Mrs. Knowles hollered, barging into Jared's room. "You told me that Kelly's mother knew she was here!"

It was the next morning and the sound of Mrs. Knowles voice woke me. It woke Jared, too.

"She did, Mom." Jared lied.

"Then why was she just on the phone in hysterics asking where her daughter was?" Mrs. Knowles questioned.

I sat up. I'd been lying on Jared's stomach. "She called?" I asked.

"Yes she did, Kelly. She wants you home now." Mrs. Knowles told me sternly.

I got off Jared's bed and began to put my shoes that had been discarded next to his bed back on.

"You two are in trou-ble!" Garret, Jared's 6-year-old brother sang. He looked exactly like Jared. Dark brown hair that they both spiked and bright green eyes that you could look into for hours. I remember in the forth grade (When I had a crush on him...) I used to have staring contests with Jared just so I could look at them.

"Shut up." Jared told him.

"Jared, I want to have a little talk with you." Mrs. Knowles said to him.

"I'm taking Kelly home first." Jared said. Aaaw...he was so sweet. Actually, he probably was just using that as an excuse. As soon as he'd drop me off, he'd run off somewhere to get away from his family again.

"You better come straight back." Mrs. Knowles said.

"I will, I will." Jared said. He sat at the edge of his bed and jammed his feet into his shoes.

"He's lying, Mom. Don't trust him." Garret said.

"Garret! Would you shut up!" Caleb, Jared and Garret's 17-year-old brother demanded from his bed. He was still trying to sleep.

"Come on, Kel." Jared said to me.

We stood up. As we were walking out of his bedroom I turned to Mrs. Knowles. "I'm real sorry, Mrs. Knowles." I told her. I like to get on parents good sides so they'll let me come over again. Not that I will. My mom is gonna ground me for weeks for this.

Mrs. Knowles just gave me a tight-lipped smile. Jared pulled my arm and led me into the living room. Sitting on the couch watching the small TV were Jared's three sisters. Abbie, who is 10, Shenoa, who is 16, and Gwen who's 3. Jared got to name her. And this was at the time he was going through his No Doubt/Gwen Stefani obsessed stage.

"I didn't know you were here, Kelly." Gwen said, jumping off the couch and running to me. She has this little obsession with me. It's quite cute, actually.

"I'm taking her home now." Jared told his little sister.

"Can I come with you?" Gwen begged.

"No." Jared said, pulling me to the door.

"But I wanna go!" Gwen whined.

"No, Gwen!" Jared said.

"Mommy!" Gwen yelled, running to her mom.

"Come on." Jared said. He quickly opened the door and we ran out before Mrs. Knowles could force Jared to bring Gwen with him.


Once we were a little ways down the street I said to Jared, "Sorry bout gettin ya in trouble."

"It's okay. Happens all of the time anyway. If it didn't happen then, it would have happened later." He reminded me.

I laughed. Jared was the one who always got in trouble for one thing or another. Whether it was hitting his brother, going through his sister's stuff, or dying his hair green, he was always getting grounded. But that didn't stop him from leaving the house. He snuck out almost every night.

The rest of the walk was in silence. I didn't even want to think of what my mom would do to me when I got home. If she was angry, she'd probably just ground me for a month, but if she was really angry, upset, and was worried about me she'd quite possibly forbid me from ever seeing Jared again. She swears we're dating. And if she swears we're dating, and I spent the night at his house...Oh crap.

"Well, here we are." I said when we got in front of Casey's apartment. "Come inside with me. If you're there, she won't freak out at me."

Boy was I wrong.

When we got inside, Mom freaked out at me despite what I said. In fact, I don't even think she saw Jared at all.

"Kelly Anne Conner! I can't believe you would just leave like that and not tell me!" Mom yelled.

"I did tell you, Mom." I told her.

"You didn't tell me you were going to stay at Jared's house! I was up all night, worried sick about you! Why would you do that?" Mom demanded.

"I was upset. I needed to talk to someone." I told her.

"Why couldn't you just talk to me?" Mom asked.

"Because you were part of the reason that I was upset." I said.

Mom shook her head and closed her eyes. "I don't know what had gotten into you, Kelly. Sneaking out, not listening to me...You're acting like Jared!"

"Mom..." I nodded over to where Jared was standing quietly. "I'm gonna go. See ya, Kel." He said.

I turned to Mom. "Now look at what you did!" I exclaimed after Jared left.

"Oh, you're angry because now your boyfriend is gone? What were you doing at his house last night? Having sex?!" Mom asked.

This woman is crazy. This woman is crazy. This woman is crazy. Do. Not. Freak. Out.

"That's it, Kelly! Pack your bags! You're going to live with your father today!" Mom screamed.

"Mom! No, you can't make me go today!" I said, "You have to give him some notice!"

"I'll make the call now while you pack." Mom said, walking into the kitchen to the phone.

I didn't go to my room. I ran out of the door again. I saw Jared walking down the street, going the opposite way of where his house was. I ran after him. Once I was just a few steps behind him, I said his name. It came out choked.

"What's wrong?" Jared asked me.

I didn't answer. I just hugged him. After I cried on his shoulder for a few minutes, I answered, "My mom is making me leave today."

"Today? Like, now?" Jared asked me.

I nodded. "Right after I pack." I told him.

"Oh, well I'm gonna miss you." Jared said.

I'm gonna miss you? Is that all he had to say. I was leaving and all he could say is "I'm gonna miss you"? Did he not care? Oh shut up! Of course he cares! He just doesn't show a lot of emotion.

"Well, I've got to go before my mom gets even more mad. I'll call you." I said, turning around.

"Wait, Kelly." Jared said.

I turned back around and Jared came towards me, hugging me again. "I'll really miss you. Now I'm gonna be a loaner." He kissed my cheek and hugged me tighter.

"KELLY!!" My mom screamed from down the street.

"I gotta go." I repeated.

"Okay. You're still gonna write and call me?" Jared asked.

"Only if you swear to write back." I said.

"I will. Now that you're leaving I'll have nothing better to do." Jared told me.

We finally pulled away and I turned around and headed back to the apartment. I wasn't going to say goodbye. It was too hard.
04 by Ashleigh
My mom and I sat in the plastic orange airport chairs waiting for my flight to board. Mom bought the ticket when we got here for the next plane to the Orlando airport. I sat a few chairs away from Mom. I was still mad at her.

I didn't want to go. Not at all. I'm pretty sure my dad didn't want me coming anymore either. Mom told him everything that had happened that day after he wanted to know why I had to come so early. It probably freaked him out thinking he was going to have to raise a juvenile delinquent.

"Flight 642 to Orlando, Florida is now boarding Coach." The voice crackled over the speakers.

I stood up and picked up my carry-on bag. I walked towards the line that was forming without saying anything to my mom.

"Kelly, come here sweetie." She said to me.

I turned around. "What? I'm going to miss my plane." Not that that's a bad thing.

She walked to me since I wouldn't go to her. She gave me a quick hug and kiss. "Call me as soon as you get there, okay?"

I nodded. Mom let go of me and let me get to the line. It was short now because most of the people had already gotten on. I went to the lady and handed her my ticket.

"Thank you." She said all cheerful, "Enjoy your flight."

I raised my eyebrow and nodded. Then I walked toward the plane. Every step I take I am closer to Florida. Closer to my dad. Closer to the life I didn't want at all.

I walked up the steps to get onto the plane and sighed. The flight attendant at the door smiled cheerily at me. What is with these people? They're all happy. I walked to the Coach section and searched for my seat. I spotted it and had to climb over a man in a business suit to get to it. I was seated between him and an old lady who smelled like a lot of cheap perfume all mixed together. It was gross.

The lady smiled at me and said, "You headed to Florida for summer vacation?"

I shook my head. "I'm staying with my dad there." I told her.

"Oh, well that should be fun." She said.

I laughed. "Riiiiiight...fun." I said.

"Why wouldn't it be?" She asked.

"Because I hate my dad." I told her.

The old lady stopped talking to me then, thank God. She was starting to annoy me. I just hope she doesn't talk to me anymore. Well, if she does I just have to tell her I hate my dad. It'll shut her up at least.

There was a movie, but it looked boring so I didn't watch it. They gave us fruit, but come on, it's fruit. Give us something good. About an hour later, the plane landed at the airport.

I took a deep breath. Here I am. Well, I made it without trying to fling myself out of the window, so I guess it was a good sign. I do wish those suckers opened, though.

They finally began to let us out. I stood up shakily and got my bag from the overhead compartment. Why am I nervous? He's just a guy who I happen to have to call my father. Nothing more. Shure, he's famous and everything, but what does that matter? It doesn't...he should be more nervous than me.

I must have been shaking pretty hard, because the old lady next to me asked, "Are you alright, dear? You're as white as a sheet."

I nodded. "I'm fine." I told her, my voice coming out squeaky. What did she care? LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE YOU DIRTY WOMAN!

I followed her off the plane. The flight attendants all smiled at me. Happy freaks. What are their problems? After we got closer to the airport and farther from the plane the butterflies in my stomach came back and it felt like it was doing flips.

Before we got into the airport, I stopped and let some people pass me. I took a few deep breaths. I hope he's not there. I hope he chickened out and can't have me with him anymore. I hope he sent someone else with another plane ticket to send me back on the next flight home.

But I also hope he is there. So I can meet him. So I can live with him like I'd always wanted to. So I can live in a real house and see how the other half live. So I can take some of his money and go shopping.

I followed the last person off of the plane into the airport and towards my dad. I was nervous as hell.

After looking around a bit, I spotted him. My dad. Standing against a wall, looking around. He was wearing sunglasses, of course, and had his arms crossed. He looked just as nervous as me. That kind of made me feel better. I don't know why. I'm just weird that way.

I walked slowly towards him, looking down at my feet. Do. Not. Look. At. Him.
05 by Ashleigh
I don't think he saw me. Or at least he didn't recognize me. He looked right past me. But why should he recognize me, anyway? He hadn't seen me since I was like, two and he left. So I dragged my feet along the carpeted floor and went over to him.

"Hi." I said, still not looking up. I didn't sound happy at all. I sounded miserable and upset. Which I was, of course.

"Kelly?" He asked.

I looked up and rolled my eyes. "Yes. Who the hell else would I be?" I asked rudely. Why am I so mean? Oh yeah...cuz I hate him.

"Uh..." He started. I obviously made him nervous. Mission accomplished. "No one. Um, you look just like your mom."

"Yeah, can I get my bags?" I asked.

AJ nodded. "Y-yeah. Let's go." He said.

I followed him to the baggage claim, looking around as we went. Everyone looked just the same as they do in Vegas, Shorts, tank tops, sluts, and some really hot looking guys. People would turn and look at AJ, obviously recognizing who he was. But no one approached him. Ha! He's not as famous as he used to be.

"How many bags do you have?" AJ asked me.

"Two." I told him.

We reached the baggage claim and I got my two bags. "Let me help you." AJ said.

"I got it. I don't need your help." I said. I didn't need him touching my stuff.

**********************

Once we had gotten outside though, I wished I would have given him at least one of the bags. I had no idea they were so heavy.

It was dark out and the only lights in the parking lot were from the street lamps and people headlights. But AJ seemed to be able to find his way around. I hoped he'd get to his car soon. I was sinking under the weight of these bags.

"Are you sure you don't want me to take one of those? It's still a ways to my car." AJ said.

I sighed to make him think that I didn't really want to give him one, but I was secretly grateful he would. I handed him one of the bags, the heavier one, but didn't smile or thank him. Why should I? Makes no difference. Besides, I don't want him thinking I like him or anything.

A few minutes later we finally reached his car. It's small and black and looks all expensive. I am totally excited to get to ride in it! The best car I've ever ridden in is one of the new city busses...AJ opened the trunk and put the bag he was holding in it, and then the two that I had and put them in, also.

Come on, talk to me! I want him to say something to me. He's supposed to be getting to know me. And I want to be mean to him!!! Though he probably knows that and he's too afraid to say anything to me. Hee hee hee.

He walked to my door and unlocked it, leaving me to open it as he walked around the car to his side. How freaking rude! I tell ya, he's got some bad people skills! He has to be unbearingly nice to me. So nice that I feel like strangling him. Now he's being so...emotionless that I want to strangle him!!! He doesn't want to be nice to me. He doesn't want me. WHAAA! Right...I care so much.

I got inside and slammed the door closed. I didn't buckle my seatbelt. I figure, he crashes, I die, I don't have to live in this hell hole.

Holy crap was I wrong. After this man got on the road, I had to put it on. He drives like a maniac! He tried to cut off an 18 wheeler! I'm freaking out now...

"Would you slow down?" I asked him.

AJ looked at me and saw that I was clutching the sides of my seat. "Sorry." He said and slowed down a bit. But I was still scared to be in the car with him.

Well, I made it to his house in record time. He lived in a gated community. There are security guards and everything. No way this house will get robbed. It's like a whole new world here. In Vegas our apartment complex has no security guards, no gates, and just about no safety. We've been robbed before. There was nothing to really take. The cops were always at the apartment next to ours because they were drug dealers. Jared tried to buy from them once. He's kind of stupid.

Before he even stopped the car fully, I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door, flinging myself out yelling, "Get me out of this death mobile!"

"What?" AJ asked. I could tell that he was not amused, but then again, what do I care?

When he got out of the car, I pointed at him and said, "YOU are going to kill me if I ever have to go in this damn car with you again."

"Oh come on," AJ said, "I don't drive that bad."

He walked around to the trunk and opened it. He took out one of my bags and put it on the ground.

"Hey!" I cried, "Don't put that on the ground!" I picked it up and muttered, "Dumbass."

"Sorry." AJ said. He took out the other two and tried to close the trunk while holding them both.

Hmm...it's a bit amusing to watch him do this. I feel a bit sorry for him. But what can ya do?

"Okay, that's enough." I said a few minutes later. He was still struggling with the trunk! I walked over and closed it with my free hand. "Now hurry the hell up."

I followed him to his front door. At least I think it was the front door. So many doors on his house I get confused. It's like the Winchester Mystery House or something. It's huge, too. I've never been in a house this big before in my life. At least I don't think I have been. I really don't remember before the first grade...I fell off of the monkey bars and got a concussion. It's what happens when all the kids in your class are against you.

AJ managed to unlock and open the door. Though a monkey could do it, I had to give him props. He seems stupider than a monkey.

I shut the door behind me when I walked inside. "Let me take you to your room." AJ told me.

"Okay." I agreed. Tired. Need sleep. Now.

AJ walked slowly up the stairs, trying not to fall backwards. Wow. I had no idea my bags were so heavy...When we both got all the way up the stairs he led me a little ways down the hall. He set one og my bags down and opened the door. I decided not to get mad at him for that because I could honestly care less where he puts my bags.

"This is your room. Uh, I didn't know what your favorite color was so I just got...pink things. If you want to change it, that's fine." AJ said.

"It's okay." I said, pushing past him.

"Okay..." AJ walked in behind me and put both my bags next to my door. "I'll leave you alone now."

"Yeah, yeah. Just leave." I said.

I heard AJ sigh as he walked out of the room. I had to feel kind of sorry for him. Poor guy...he tries way too hard.

I took off my shoes, laid down on the light pink bedspread and closed my eyes. I was really tired. When I got here it was about 9:30 in Las Vegas. That means 12:30 here. So as you can imagine, I was very tired.
06 by Ashleigh
I woke up later that night. When I looked at my watch it read 3:38. I usually never wake up in the middle of the night. I knew it was because I wasn't used to it here. It was too quiet... I pulled the covers off of me and sat up on my bed in the dark.

Wait...Dark? Covers? When I'd fallen asleep my light was still on and I had fallen asleep after just laying there. AJ must have come in. Either that or I was sleep walking and went to turn off my lights and got under the blankets. But that was unlikely.

That got me thinking.........Why the hell would AJ come in my room when I specifically told him to go away? Eh, oh well. At least I didn't freeze like I am now.

I got back under the pink blanket (*shakes head* Pinkness...) and tried to sleep again. But I couldn't. It was too weird here! My room was too big, my bed was too squishy. Nothing was right. Normally I'd love to have this kind of room, but under these circumstances I hated it. I hated this whole house!

But that was just the beginning...

A few minutes later the doorbell rang. My first thought was, hell no! Who comes over at three in the morning? I heard a door open next to mine and footsteps go down the hall. I listened to hear who it was. Maybe my mom was coming to pick me up! Yeah right. Well it was a female voice. I tried to listen but I couldn't make out what they were saying.

Well, being the sneaky little...you know I am, I got out of bed and walked to the door. I opened it slightly and I stood in front of it. I could hear them a lot better now.

"Melanie, you can't be here now." AJ said.

Melanie? Who is Melanie? I don't know any Melanie. Well of course I don't know her. I don't know anybody here.

"AJ, I miss you and I'm sorry." The Melanie chick said, "Please, take me back..."

"Look, you left me. And it hurt. I'm not going to take you back..." AJ said,

Ooh...drama. It's like a soap opera!

"I'm sorry I hurt you. I was just going through a hard time then." Melanie said as her excuse. "Can't you just forgive me and get past it?"

"We were married! I can't just get over that!" AJ said.

Whoa...married? Okay, why did I not know this? Why was it not in the news or some teenybopper magazine? Oh yeah...I don't watch the news or read teenybopper magazines.

"Look, I don't have any time for this right now. I'm tired. It's been a busy day and I need to get some sleep." AJ told her, "Come over in a few days."

Melanie didn't say anything unless she whispered it. But I heard the front door close a few seconds later and AJ start coming back up the stairs. Okay, I admit it: I panicked. I tried to run back to my bed, but I ran into the dresser, making it shake. So I had no time to close the door. 'Fuck it,' I thought. I gotta get back in my bed! So I ran to the bed and jumped into it, throwing the covers back over me. Right in time!

I put my head down in the pillow as soon as AJ came in and pushed my door open.

"I know you're awake." He said, not bothering to be quiet.

I didn't answer. I am asleep. I am sleeping. I am lost in dreamland. Eyes shut, mind off, breathing even...Does he think I woke up just to spy on him? Hee hee hee. Shows how much he knows. Which is obviously a lot...

"Come on, Kelly. You woke up, you listened to everything...And when it was over you ran into, I don't know, something. Whatever it was, you made a helluva lot of noise with it." AJ said.

Crap...he heard it. That screws me over. But I'm sleeping so I have a cover. Ah...the world works in scary ways sometimes.

For a while AJ didn't say anything. I thought maybe he was gone. But I didn't take the chance and open my eyes. He was probably doing it on purpose so he could catch me. But jeez, it's not like I was convicted of a crime or anything. All I did was listen in on his conversation. And find out a few things...

"Fine," He finally said, "I'll leave. But I still know you're awake. And that you're going to torture me with the fact that I can't keep a woman forever."

No I wasn't, but good idea. AJ left my room and closed the door behind him. Poor guy...He really can't keep a woman. His wife left him, and he screwed up with my mom by leaving her. I yawned and turned over. But just because I felt sorry for him does not mean I'm going to be nice.
07 by Ashleigh
I woke up late the next day. At about one in the afternoon. Never fails! No matter where I am I'm always waking up late. Not a morning person, you know. I was just about to stay in my room, but I figured that I should take a shower. So I walked out of the room...and I had no idea where the bathroom was.

I walked down the hall to the left and must have seen three bathrooms! Which one am I supposed to use? I wasn't about to risk using the "Holy Bathroom" so I just walked back to my room and closed the door. Pop stars are weird. You don't know what they think of their toilets.

I sat down on my bed. Nothing to do now. Sleep? No, did too much of that. Torment AJ? Nope, don't wanna talk to him. Unpack? Eh, no. I might as well call Jared. I promised him I would.

Good thing AJ had put a phone in my room. I didn't have to go downstairs and face him. I walked to the desk and picked up the phone. I was about to dial the number when I heard voices on the line already.

"Are you sure that she's really okay?"

Mom! Mom called! I decided to listen in.

"I think she is," AJ answered, "She won't talk to me much."

"I'm sorry," Mom said, "I've made this so hard for you."

"It's not your fault. It's mostly mine." AJ said.

Damn straight!

"How is it your fault? You didn't do anything." Mom told him.

"Exactly. I was never around to do anything. That's why she hates me so much, right?" AJ asked.

Yup.

"She doesn't hate you! Not at all. I know that she loves you very much." Mom told him.

Hey! That's a damn lie!

"If she loves me so much," AJ was asking, "Then how come she won't talk to me? It's like she wishes she were anywhere but here."

Hmm...maybe because I would rather be anywhere else. DID THAT EVER OCCUR TO YOU??

"Secretly, Alex, she's happy there. It's a lot better than here." Mom told him.

"You think so?" AJ asked.

"I know so," Mom said, "So, can I talk to her? Make sure she's okay?"

"Sure, let me go get her." AJ said, "I don't even know if she's awake."

No! Don't make me talk to her! I don't want to. I hung up the phone as quietly as I could. About a minute later AJ knocked on my door. "You awake, Kelly?"

"Yeah." I said.

"Can I come in?"

"It's your house. Do what you want."

AJ opened my door and stepped inside. "Your mom's on the phone. She wants to talk to you." It seems every time he sees me, he gets nervous. Jeez, do I have a sign hanging above my head that says: "DO NOT TALK TO ME. I WILL KILL YOU."

"How about you just tell her to send the rest of my clothes." I said, "I don't want to talk to her."

"Come on. She just wants to make sure you're okay." AJ said.

"I'm alive, aren't I?"

AJ shook his head in frustration as he began to leave my room. He closed my door while saying to my mom, "Kelly would rather not talk to you right now. Just call back later, okay?" A moment passed and then he said, "Okay, I will. I'll talk to you later...Bye."

After he hung up the phone he came back in my room and stood in my doorway. "You're going to talk to your mom later." He demanded.

I laughed. Oh my goodness. AJ McLean, pretty boy, trying to be a father. That's funny. "Yeah, sure I am. Now tell me where the bathroom is. I need to take a shower."

"It's two doors down." AJ told me, running his fingers through his hair.

"Okay, you can go now." I said to him.

AJ left my room and practically slammed the door behind him. Jeez. I think I'm pissing him off. Darn...my life sucks.

I went to my suitcase and opened it. I pulled out some of my clothes and walked out of my room and two doors down, just like AJ told me. I walked inside. The bathtub alone was bigger than my whole bathroom...and the bathroom was bigger than my room back home!

I hate rich people. They get everything.
08 by Ashleigh
After I'd showered, dried my hair, brushed my teeth, and prettied myself up (Right...trust me people, IT DON'T WORK WITH ME!) I went to, of course, the bedroom. No way was I going downstairs. AJ was pissed at me. I could tell. As I was walking back and forth from the bathroom to bedroom to get my makeup I passed him. And he didn't say a word to me. Didn't even look at me. God, what did I do to him?

I took my CD player out of my bag and pulled out my CD's. I put the headphones on and put my Good Charlotte CD in. I turned up the volume really loud and sat at my desk. A desk. Why the hell is there a desk in here? What, does he really expect me to do homework once school starts again? Not that I'm going to be here then. I'm leaving no matter what.

About twenty minutes later AJ must have come into my room, but I didn't hear him calling my name. Until he tapped me on the shoulder and I saw he was in there. I took the headphones off. "What?" I asked, mad because it had been right in the middle of my favorite song.

Nerves returning, AJ answered, "Uh, I wanted to know if you were hungry since, you know, you haven't eaten anything since yesterday."

"Yeah, I know. And I'm not hungry." I told him.

"Oh, okay." AJ said, "Well, I'm gonna go get something real quick. I'll be back in a few minutes."

I turned away and put the headphones back on. Go away, get food, crash on your way back...see if I care. That got me thinking...would I care? If he got hurt or something? I don't think I would be really upset. Unless he died or something. But he never cared when I got hurt or sick. I was in the hospital for three weeks when I was ten and he never came to make sure I was okay. He wouldn't even talk to me when my mom called him. His excuse was that he didn't want to put his career, or the careers of the other guys in the group, in jeopardy. Just like his excuse was every other time he was needed. But how can he put it in jeopardy by just talking on the phone.

I swear to God he's paranoid.

All that in mind, I do have a right to hate him. I actually have the right to push him off a tall building. Whenever I get onto a tall building with him I will remember to.

I turned off my CD player and decided it was time to give myself the grand tour of the way too freaking big house. I first inspected the second floor. I had already seen the bathroom, and I knew that the other two were more or less exactly the same. The next room was AJ's bedroom. I stood in front of the door and pondered for about a second whether or not to go inside. Of course I'm going in! I always do things people say isn't nice.

AJ's room was huge. A million times bigger than my mothers room. Almost as big as the apartment we lived in. He has a huge bed, too. Which I am not going to touch. I have no idea what goes on in that thing. I went to his dresser. It was one of those really long ones with a bunch of drawers. Well, the top of it had a lot of hair stuff on it. More than I have! I looked underneath some of it and saw a few pictures. I picked them up and looked through them all. I didn't recognize the person in them. Probably that Melanie woman. I wanna meet her...

I put them down, but not in the place that I found them or anything. I just threw them on top of some paper and decided to go through his drawers. I opened the first one. Eew, underwear. I opened the second and third ones...underwear. How many pairs of boxers does one guy need? I closed them and decided to just go to the bottom drawers. I sat down on the floor and began my search. Whoo! In the first few was a bunch of stuff I didn't really care about. Nothing I hadn't seen before. In the last drawer were papers, photo albums, and then some random pictures. Perfect...

I pulled the papers out. I was surprised to see they were mostly letter. Letters to me! What the...Why would he write me letters and never send them? There must have been more than twenty letters here. And they all mostly said the same thing: he loved me, he missed me, and he wanted to see me. He probably never sent them because he knew everything he wrote were lies.

I threw the letters aside and took out one of the photo albums. It was big and heavy and when I turned it around to the front cover it read 'Kelly Ann McLean 10/26/95'. Ooh, look, it's my baby book! Wee! But my name has no McLean in it anywhere. Kelly McLean...nope, sounds wrong. I opened the book and another paper came fluttering out. I picked it up. It was my birth certificate. I looked at the name. Kelly Ann McLean...My mom had changed my name. And I didn't know it because she didn't have my birth certificate. She didn't have any baby book...Why is it turning out that AJ has all of my important things?

I heard the front door open downstairs and panicked. I threw everything in the drawer and closed it. Then I raced out of his room and down the hall to mine. Whew! Safe! I sat on the bed and made it look like I'd just been sitting there.

AJ came in a few minutes later with a McDonalds bag in his hand. "I got you something in case you get hungry."

"Oh, well I'm not." I told him. It was a lie. I was starving! I just didn't want to eat.

"Okay, I'll put it downstairs if you do get hungry." AJ said.

I nodded. AJ stood there. I raised my eyebrows at him. Why is he just standing there? "Oh, sorry. I'll leave you alone." He left my room. He kept my door opened slightly. I rolled my eyes and got off my bed to shut it the rest of the way.

For a while I couldn't think of anything to do. Then I decided to do what I was going to do earlier: call Jared. I went back to the cordless phone and picked it up. Then I went back to my bed and dialed Jared's number. One ring...two...three...four...

"Yeah?" Caleb answered.

"Caleb, is Jared there?" I asked.

"Hey Kel. Yeah, he's right here." Caleb said, "Jared, it's Kelly." I heard him say.

A few seconds later Jared's voice came on the line. "Hey Kel, what's up?" He asked.

"Nothing. Just sitting around being bored." I answered him.

"Aww...poor Kelly. Well I'm bored, too." Jared said, "Why'd you have to leave me? Why?" Jared was now fake crying.

I laughed. "You can be so stupid sometimes, you know that?" I told him.

"Special talent." He answered.

As I was laughing, my door was pushed open. AJ walked in looking angry.

"I gotta go, Jared. I'll call you back later." I said. I hung up the phone and looked at AJ. "What?" I asked.

"Were you going through my drawers?" He asked.

I looked at him like he was crazy. "What? Why the hell would I want to go through your stuff?"

"How the hell did this get out of it?" He held up the letters that I'd been looking at.

Shoot! I'd forgotten to put those away! I'm screwed now! Play it off, Kel, you can do it. If you can do it with the cops you can definitely can with a guy who gets nervous around you.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Damn, what makes you think it was me?" I asked.

"You were the only one who was here!" AJ yelled.

I laughed. "It was not me! You probably got drunk or whatever it is you washed up Backstreet Boys do nowadays and started throwing shit outta your own drawers!"

"God, Kelly! I don't know what to do with you!" AJ yelled, "Your mother told me you'd probably be trouble but...shit! You've been nothing but a bitch since you got here! I've been trying to do my best with you the short time you've been here, trying to make you feel at home and you've just brushed me off! I don't know what the hell I did to make you hate me so much, and all day I have been trying to think of a reason and I can't think of anything!"

That stupid fuck called me a bitch! Well...it is true. I am THE bitch!

"Think back maybe 11 years ago! I'll leave and give you some time to 'rack your brain' for that hard information." I stood up and walked out of the door, having to push past him.

"Where are you going?" AJ asked.

"To knock over a liquor store." I muttered.

"What?"

"Just go to hell!"

I ran down the stairs. Behind me I heard the faint sound of papers fluttering and then a door slam closed. So I opened the front door and slammed it closed behind me.

Where am I supposed to go? This place has nowhere close! I hope they have a bus stop somewhere.
09 by Ashleigh
I got back really late that night. After the skatepark closed at 8pm, we went to Jordan's house. We played video games for a while and hung out in his backyard next to his pool. It was alomst one in the morning by the time we all left.

I stood in front of the house, afraid to go in. There was a light on in the living room. I hoped he wasn't up waiting for me. Well, the only way to find out is to go inside.

AJ left the door unlocked that night. I opened it slowly and slipped inside, closing it quietly behind me. I could hear the TV on. I walked slowly and quietly past the living room and peered inside. The light and the TV were both on, but AJ was asleep on the couch. Thank you God.

I got to my room and closed the door. I changed my clothes and turned off the light. I wasn't about to risk going to the bathroom to brush my teeth, so I just crawled into bed.

I'd made it. Snuck back in without getting caught! When I was with Mom I never got away with it. She always stayed up and waited for me. Good thing AJ fell asleep while he was watching TV!

But I didn't want to think of what would happen tomorrow. I'd left when we were mad at each other, and hadn't spoked to him since then. He was bound to still be mad at me.

I didn't want to think about it too much. I was way too tired. I closed my eyes and fell asleep a few minutes later.
***************
For some reason I woke up early the next morning. At nine! I got out of bed and started to leave my room when I saw a piece of paper taped onto my door.

Kelly,
I went out. I'll be back in a few hours. If you need me, just call my cell. The number is downstairs next to the phone. Don't leave the house today.
Love,
AJ

I crumped up the paper and threw it in the trash can. Then I walked outside into the hallway. The papers AJ had thrown were still on the ground. The man needs a maid. I sighed and began to pick the papers up. I put them in a pile and placed them next to a wall.

Since AJ wouldn't be back for a while, I decided to go back to his room and look at his stuff some more. Well, my stuff that he's been keeping. Why did he get all of those things when he wasn't even going to be around? He should have given it to my mom before he left.

His door was open already so I just walked inside. I went straight to the bottom drawer. I opened it up and saw that AJ had emptied it. All that was inside was the pile of pictures. I picked them up though I doubted I would know anybody in them. He probably took everything out that had to do with me. He hated me now too. Hmph...darn.

I did notice a few people in the pictures. There were the Backstreet Boys together looking stupid. I sighed. The world knows that my father is an idiot. The only other person I recognized was my mom. Yeah, he had some pictures of her, but they were from a while back. Before I was even born it looked like. How did I know? They actually looked happy together.

I saw no one else that I knew so I put the pictures back. After I closed the drawer again, I looked around the room. The other stuff had to be in there somewhere. I walked around ad lookd for a few minutes until I spotted them on his bed. His bed? What is it doing there? Was he looking at them?

I sat cautiously on the edge of his bed and picked up the pictures. I figured they were of me when I was a baby. I flipped it over and it had writing on it: Kelly, 3/5/96. I was about four or five months old. Jeez, I was an UGLY baby! I was freaking fat! Not a lot has changed since then except I'm not fat anymore. I should burn these.

After I finsished looking at all the pictures (all of me, most with me and AJ, just a few with me and my mom.), I picked up the baby book. I opened to the first page and there was this picture of me the day I was born or something.

"Holy crap!" I yelled, "How could he keep this?"

I wanted to rip it up. How embarrassing! I was so ugly! I flipped through the pages and they had all the normal crap that baby books have: first hospital visit, first word (mine was fuck...aaaw!), and all that stuff. And the pages started to go by dates where they'd write what happened that day. They wrote in it most of the time (That's what you call "way too into your kids." Seek professional help.), and the handwriting would change once in a while. The dates went to about the age of three, but mined didn't get filled up that far. But then on October 24 1997, two days before my second birthday, it stopped. That must have been when the jackass left. TWO DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!

"Kelly?"

I looked up and saw AJ standing in the doorway. I closed the book and stood up. I hadn't even heard him come back.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have been going thorugh your stuff." I muttered. I wasn't really sorry. I had a right to be able to see these things.

"No, it's okay. I had an idea you'd come back in here." AJ said, putting his keys down on his dresser and taking off his sunglasses.

"Is that why you took everything out? So I wouldn't see them?" I asked.

"Um...no. No." AJ shook his head, "I was looking at them."

"Oh, okay." I said, "Why?"

AJ shrugged. "Just wanted to."

"Okay," I said, "I'll go now."

AJ nodded and I walked across the room, squeezing past him to get out of the door.

"Wait, Kel, come back here." AJ said when I'd gotten halfway to my room.

"What?" I asked.

"I need to talk to you about last night," He said.

Caught! "What is it?" I asked.

"Come on in here." AJ said, nodding towards his room.

I walked to the room and followed him inside. "What about it?" I asked, "I know that I told you to go to hell-which you didn't-and I came back late. What else?"

AJ told me to sit down on his bed and he sat next to me. "I wanted to tell you I was sorry. I know you hate it here, and you hate me, but I have been trying my best with you." He said.

"I know you have." I agreed.

"And you have to understand," AJ continued, "That this is difficult for me, too. I haven't seen you in a long time, and I didn't think I was going to."

"Why not?" I asked suspiciously.

"I never thought that you rmom would want you to see me again. After she left back-"

"Wait, hand on a second," I interrupted him, "Don't you mean back when YOU left?"

AJ looked confused. "When I left? I didn't leave. I stayed her and your mom took you and rann off. I didn't hear from her until about two years later." He explained.

"You're lying." I said, standing up, "My mom told me that you left and moved here because you didn't want to have anything to do with me."

"No, Kel she was-"

"Shut up!" I yelled, backing away from him, "Just shut up! My mom would never do that! You left because you hated us and now you're trying to lie about it!"

"Kelly, I never hated you! I love you both." AJ said.

"Well I don't give a shit if you love me! Because I hate you and nothing you do and no matter how many lies you feed me will change that!" I ran out of his room and down the hall. Why did he have to go and tell me lies like that? Did he think it was helping? Because it wasn't!
10 by Ashleigh
AJ kept trying to talk to me all day. Every hour or so there would be a knock at my door followed by AJ saying, "We have to talk. Please, just open your door." I would ignore him, throw something at the door, or tell him to leave me alone. A few times he lost his patience (Not a good thing to do when you have akid whom you haven't seen for 11 years locking herself in her room and hating you...) and started banging on my door yelling, "Kelly! Open the fucking door now! I'm not playing around!" Hahahahaha! I though that this was wildly hilarious so I played along and cussed right back.

Now I sit here in my bed, holding that stupid pink dog, just waiting for him to come back. And come back he did. He tried the nice approach again.

"Kelly, can you please let me in? I want to ask you something." He said.

"Why waste my time by making me open the door when you can ask me now?" I called back, "I can hear you telling me to open the fucking door, I can hear you ask me a question."

He gave up and walked away. Ha! Bet he didn't really have a question. It was just another excuse to get in here.

I sat there staring at nothing in particular for a few minutes until suddenly walked inside and said, "I found the key."

I glared at him. "What do you want?" I asked.

"I have to talk to you." AJ said.

"I know this. You've only been repeating it every five seconds!" I told him.

"I don't want you to hate me." AJ said.

"Too late." I told him, rolling over in my bed and putting my head in the pillows.

"What can I do to make you not hate me?" AJ asked.

"Go away." I answered.

"Will that make yo love me?" AJ questioned.

I threw the only thing I had near enough to me: the stuffed dog. "No." I said.

For a moment AJ said nothing. Then he said quietly, "You still have this?"

"What?" I asked, taking my head out of the pillows and looking at him.

AJ held out the dog. "This. I got it for you on your first birthday." He said, walking over to my bed and placing it on it.

"Oh hell no." I said. I didn't want to believe that.

"Yeah." AJ said, "I thought you would have gotten rid of it."

I picked up the dog and said, "I never knew who gave it to me." An idea formed in my head and I said, "Hmm. But since you gave it to me..." I threw it across the room and it landed in the trash can. Score! "It's a piece of shit."

AJ shook his head. "If you only knew how much I wish I could...God! Never mind!"

"No, what is it? If I only knew how much you wish kill me? Slap me? Throw me out on the streets?" I asked, "Cuz I'm open to any of those. At least I won't have to be with you."

AJ sighed. "No. I wish I could send you back to your mom." He said.

"Go ahead. I wish you could too." I said. I tried to make it sound like I didn't care, but inside I was thinking, Whoa! Did he say that to ME? Dude, that's harsh.

But I'm not going to. I'm not giving up on you." AJ said, "Besides, I made a promise to your mom."

"Yeah, and God knows that a Backstreet Boy has to live up to his promise." I said sarcastically.

"Would you stop making cracks about me being in the Backstreet Boys?" AJ asked.

"Nope. It's too fun." I told him.

AJ shook his head and got up. "I'm going to my room. Just so you know, the other guys are coming over tomorrow so you should wake up early and get ready. Unless you want someone walking in on you in the shower."

"Okay. Um...go." I told AJ.

AJ began to walk to the door, but stopped and looked at the pink dog in the trash can. He picked it up and threw it on my bed. "Forget I told you I gave it to you." He told me.

"Why?" I asked, "Did you not really give it to me? You just wanted to make it so I liked you more for giving me it?"

"No. Because it obviously means something to you and I don't want to ruin that for you." After he said this, he walked out of my room and shut the door.

I picked up the dog and held it close to me. So I finally unraveled the mystery of the dog. It kind of sucked to know. I'd always thought in the bacm of my mind that Dad had given it to me. Oh wait! Dad? I mean AJ. I'd always thought that AJ had given it to me. He would never really be my dad.
11 by Ashleigh
I did what AJ said and woke up at 11:30 the next morning.I didn't waste any time getting ready. I pulled the clothes, hairbrush, and makeup out of my bag (Nope, still haven't unpacked.), and went towards the bathroom.

I heard AJ's radio alarm in his room and figured he was trying to sleep through it. What an idiot. I banged on his door.

"What?" I heard him mumble, "Go awaaaay!"

"Quit your whining and get your lazy ass up!" I told him.

Satisfied with myself for being mean to him before his day even started, I skipped off to the bathroom. As I turned on the wayer I heard AJ's door open. Hee hee hee. I'm so evil. Well he shoulda been awake already.

I stayed in the shower for about twenty minutes. I had to look good for the AAAH! BACKSTREET BOYS! I LOVE YOU...JUSTIN! Justin, isn't it? The "hot blonde" one? Or is it Drew? I don't know...

I quickly changed and as I was brushing my hair the doorbell rang.

"Kelly, can you get that?" AJ called from his bathroom where he was showering. (AN: Get your mind outta the gutter! There ain't enough room for yours, too. Mine is taking up too much space...)

"No!" I called back.

"Come on, Kel! I can't leave them out there!"

"I am doing my hair!" I yelled, "It ain't my fault your damn friends come over so early, and you don't get up early enough!"

"Just answer the door! You don't even have to say anything to them!" AJ pleaded.

I slammed my hairbrush down and quickly put my hair into the messiest ponytail ever. Then I swung the door open just as the doorbell rang again. Impatient people...

I took my time walking down the stairs and through the front hall to the door. After I opened the door, I just turned around and began walking back upstairs without saying anything to them. Hey, AJ said I didn't have to.

"Key, Kel. Is that you?" One of them asked.

"No," I lied, not turning around, "I'm just Mr. McLean's maid." I walked upstairs and back into the bathroom.

A few minutes later, as I was brushing my hair out, AJ came by the bathroom and said, "Thanks."

"Just doing my duties as your new slave!" I told him.

After I finished in the bathroom I picked up all of my stuff and hauled it into my room.

"Daddy?" I jumped as I heard a small voice in the hall.

I turned around and saw a little boy standing in front of my door, looking down the hall. He noticed me and asked, "Have you seen my daddy?"

"No. Do you want me to help you look for him?" I asked the little boy.

He nodded. He looked about three or four years old with messy blonde hair and blue eyes. He reminded me of Derek a little bit.

I walked over to him and knelt down so that we were eye level. "What's your name?" I asked him.

"Denver." He answered in the quiet voice that he had.

"Okay Denver. Let's go find your daddy." I said.

I stood up and Denver decided to grab my hand with his sticky fingers. We looked in all of the bedrooms, bathrooms, and even the storage closer but we didn't see him anywhere.

That's when I realized I didn't even know who his dad was! But I knew that he would be able to point him out when we came across him.

As we walked down the stairs, Denver started to cry. "My daddy left me here!" He said.

"No he didn't. He's probably looking for you right now." I assured him.

"No cuz I was bad and Daddy got mad at me." Denver said.

"He probab;y forgot all about it by now." I assured him, "Don't worry. We'll find him."

We walked down the hall when I heard voices coming from the kitchen. "Do you think your daddy's in there?" I asked him, pointing to the kitchen.

Denver shrugged. I decided to check. So I took Denver, who was still crying, into the kitchen. Inside were AJ and two of the other Backstreet Boys: Nick and Howie...I think.

"Daddy!" Denver telled.

He let go of my hand and ran over to Nick. Well I should have figured. They look exactly the same! It was like Mini Nick. Scary...

"Denver, where'd ya go buddy?" Nick asked, hugging Denver who was clinging to his leg.

I turned around and began to leave when AJ said, "Hey Kelly. I want you to meet these two."

I turned around and said, "I already know who they are."

"Yeah, but you've never met them." AJ said.

"Um...so?" I asked.

"So...you have to." AJ told me.

I smiled and looked at Nick and Howie. "I have no intention of seeing them again, so what's the point?"

"The point is, you have to learn to be nice once in a while and learn to care about something else besides yourself." AJ told me.

"Like who? Like what?" I asked, "You? Like you've been saying the whole time I've been here?"

"Yes, me. Even though you don't want me to be I am your father and you do have to listen to me." AJ said.

"No I don't." I said, just as the other guys came into the kitchen, "You were never around, so you may be my father, but you'll never actually be my father."

"Maybe we should leave." Nick said, taking Denver's hand.

"No. no. You can stay. I'm going to leave." I said.

"And go where?" AJ asked me.

"I met some guys," I told him, "I'm gonna go see them."

I walked out of the kitchen and AJ followed me, "Wait, what guys? When did you meet...whoa whoa whoa! Are they who you were with all day?"

"Yup. And all night." I told him.

"Hell no, Kel. I am not letting you go out with a bunch of guys that I've never even met." AJ said.

I walked up the stairs and said, "I don't care if you're going to let me or not. I'm going."

"But what if something happens to you?" AJ asked, sounding concerned, "I don't want any of these guys hurting you."

I ignored him and started running up the rest of the stairs. Why would he care if I got hurt? Like he said last night, he wished he could send me back with my mom. If I got hurt my mom would never trust him again and I'd get to leave.

"Kelly, get over here." AJ said. I could hear his footsteps quickening up the stairs coming after me.

I ran to my room and as soon as I got in, I slammed the door and locked it. I knew he had a key, but considering how stupid he was, it's probably take him a few minutes to remember.

I put on my shoes and grabbed my wallet. I had a feeling that I would be out for a few hours, and I was planning on telling Chris and them to show me where there was a bus stop.

I slowly opened my door and stuck my head out. AJ was leaning against the wall waiting for me. I sighed and opened my door the rest of the way.

"Stay here. I don't want you leaving and not coming back." AJ said.

"I don't care what you want. And I am not staying." I said.

"Fine, leave. See if I care. Go see those guys, stay out all night. Whatever. Turn out like me and your mom." AJ said.

"Oh, you mean unhappy because you were stupid and couldn't keep your pants on? Trust me, I'm not about to make the same mistake as you." I told him.

I walked downstairs and for once, AJ didn't follow me. Finally, he's losing interest in ruining my life.

The other guys were sitting in the living room when I ran outside the front door. I jumped back when I saw Nick sitting on the front step. He was watching as Denver played in the yard. He turned around and saw me. "Oh, hey Kelly." He said.

"Hi," I muttered, "I was just about to leave."

"How bout you and me talk instead?" He asked.

"I'd much, much rather not." I said.

"Come on. I want to talk to you. Catch up. I haven't seen you since you were a baby." He said.

"Eew...Don't talk about when I was a baby. I was an ugly baby."

Nick laughed. "You were not. You were cute. Everybody loved you."

"That sure did change." I said sitting next to Nick on the step.

"What do you mean?" Nick asked.

"That whole cute thing went away pretty quick for one. And, well, no one really gives a crap what I do anymore. Especially AJ. He pretends to care, but I can tell that it's all just an act." I explained.

"No...that's not true. AJ cares. He's just got a weird way of showing it."

"A screwed way if you ask me."

"Just give him time. He'll come around. Just like I'm sure you will, too."

I laughed. "No, I won't." I jumped up and said, "Well, I gotta go do something. Anything..."

"Okay, bye."

I ran off.
12 by Ashleigh
Chris walked me home that night. It wasn't too late. Only about 7:30. I'd run into him earlier that day and we'd hung out. Evan and Jordan were grounded (They obviously don't care to sneak out like Jared. Goodie-two-shoes...), and Paul had "obligations" to be with his girlfriend. It was their anniversary. So Chris was a loner until she saw me.

We hung out at his house most of the time. No one was there with him. His mom and step dad were both at work, and his older sister was visiting California for the summer. Chris and I had talked a lot that day. We got to know each other a lot better. I told him my story about how either my dad had bailed when I was little, or that my mom took me away from him, and the reason that I had to come here. He told me that I should give my dad a chance.

He told me about how his dad left when he was seven and then his mom remarried. But his dad visited all the rime and he went to see him a bunch, too. He told me he like it here, but it was better in Pennsylvania with his dd, step mom, and half brother. Aah...the sensitive side of Chris.

Then we got bored and decided to be stupid so we jumped in the pool with our clothes on. Chris was actually one of the craziest people I have ever met. No, he wasn't "but drugs from the neighbor" crazy, but more like...jump off the balcony and roof into the pool. He kept doing stupid stuff like that until his mom came home. We didn't want to get caught, so we climbed the fence and headed for AJ's house.

So now we were about a block away from my house, walking in the dark, wet and cold. But for the first time since I got to Florida, I was really happy. It was just about the same connection that I had with Jared when we'd first met. Maybe I'll have an actual friend here. A blue haired friend! Yay!

"Okay, well, here we are." I said when we got in front of AJ's house a few minutes later.

"Yeah, I guess I'll see you sometime." Chris said.

See me sometime? Come on! Ask me out!

"Yeah. I guess." I agreed.

"Maybe tomorrow?" He suggested.

YES! Yes yes yes yes yes. Of course! "Sure." I answered as cooley as possible.

"Okay, I'll come pick you up around two or something and show you around here. You haven't seen much." Chris said.

"Great," I told him, "Well, I've got to go inside. I'm gonna talk to my dad."

"Good luck."

"Thanks, I'm gonna need it."

Chris and I said our good-byes, and I headed inside. There were still cars in the driveway that didn't belong to AJ, so I guessed the other guys were still here. I opened the front door and walked inside. I heard laughter and voices. But I didn't see anyone. What, was there a secret staircase or something leading to another room? Hahahahahaha!

"Kelly," A voice said as I walked up the stairs.

It took me by surprise and I had to take a breath before turning around. "Who are you?" I asked, looking at the short blonde dude standing at the foot of the stairs.

"Oh, I'm Brian. AJ just wanted me to check and see if you were here." He told me.

"Oh, Uh, where is AJ?" I asked him.

"He's downstairs." Brian told me.

"Downstairs? So there is a downstairs in this house?" I asked.

"Yeah," Brian said with a small laugh, "You didn't know?"

"Well, I haven't been out of my roon since I've gotten here," I told him, "Can you get AJ for me?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll be right back." Brian left and I tried to see where he was going. But I lost him...

I sat down on the step and waited for AJ to come. I got nervous thinking of what would happen when we started to talk. I knew we'd end up fighting. We always do.

"What do you want?" I heard AJ ask. He didn't exactly sound happy. More like he was angry with me. "Why are you all wet? Go change or something."

I just sat there, getting nervous. I didn't want to talk to him when he was mad. I was planning on telling him everything. Everything everything...and I was afraid it would make him even more mad at me.

"Well, do you need something?" AJ asked again, "Or are you just wasting my time?"

"S-sorry." I stuttered, standing up. I stumbled slightly as I ran upstairs to my room.

I'd ruined everything. I'd ruined every chance of ever getting to know my dad because I've acted like such a...bitch to him. I wanted to fix it. I had to fix it. But I didn't know how...
13 by Ashleigh
Almost an hour later, I heard everybody start to leave. All of the guys probably think that I'm evil. Maybe except for Nick. He's the only one that I talked to (I think that I said more nice words to him than I have to AJ!) and I helped his kid find him, so maybe I'm a little less evil to him. It might not be much to have only one person not to think I'm a little bitch, but it's a start!

For the first time, I hoped that AJ would come up and talk to me. It was a bit weird. I mean, I despise the man and everything, but I needed to let him know some things. Even if I have to yell at him to get it out. Hopefully I won't have to.

AJ came in a few minutes later. I was happy until he said my name. "Kelly..." Hmm, he sounded a bit angry.

"Yes, AJ?" I asked. Be nice.

"Kelly," AJ repeated with a laugh, but not happy. Nope, he was definitely angry. "Oh Kelly...do you have any idea how much you embarrassed me today?" He asked.

"Uh..." I shook my head.

"I'm pretty sure that they ALL think that I have a bitch for a daughter." AJ told me, "Why the hell did you do that? Why couldn't you, for once, have thought of me and tried to be nicer? Tried to be pleasant? Or do you not know how to be? Were you never taght to have a little humiltity?"

I smiled and shook my head. Ahh...he just gave me the perfect opportunity to get him. Stupid dumb idiot moron. "Nope," I said, still smiling, "Never got taught that lesson. Since, ya know, my mom worked all day and almost all night and you weren't around, I was never taught. Anything. All I know is how to be a heartless bitch."

"Why the hell are you smiling?" AJ asked. He wasn't amused.

Was he ever?

"Because you're so stupid. Jeez, you can talk your way into anything. But it might not be a good thing all the time." I told him, "Why am I so mean? Why was I never taught manners? Hm...maybe because that's partly the fathers job to teach it? And you were never there so I never learned."

"You know why I was never around! You can't use that against me anymore!" AJ yelled.

Oh I can't? He wishes.

"Why did you never visit?!" I yelled back.

"What?"

"Why did you never visit me?!?!" I screamed. Boy, was I getting mad. This man has ways to piss me off when he's supposed to be making me feel bad for him! I continued, "I wanted you to. I wished you would. At least you could have called me...I always wanted to meet you, or at least get to talk to you. But you never came. Or called. Or wrote." My voice got quieter with every sentence.

AJ seemed to have forgotten he was mad at me. He came and sat next to me. "Oh, Kel. I'm so sorry." He said, putting his arms around me and giving me a hug.

Okay, yeah, never said to touch me. I said this to him. I feel no need to be nice.

"Sorry." He told me, backing away from me. "I never meant to hurt you so bad. That's why I never came to see you."

"How is that supposed to make me feel better?" I asked. Retard.

"It's not." He told me, "It's just my stupid side talking."

He has a smart side? Never could have guessed.

"Anyway, the reason I never visited you or called you was because I was scared. Scared of what you would think of me." He said.

"I would have thought you were great. Or a dumb ass. It depended on what age I was."

"What age would you have thought I was great?" AJ asked me hopefully.

I smiled a little. "Um...between the ages of 4 and 9. Until you wrote my mom and told her you couldn't take me in." I told him.

"You read that?" AJ asked, "You have to understand that we were about to go on tour at that time and so I knew that I could never take you in even though I really wanted to because it had been so long since I'd seen you but I was too damn immature to do it on top of everything else and I felt so bad about it that I-"

"AJ, you're rambling. Stop it." I said.

"Sorry. Well, I'll just say this...I wanted to take you in and get to raise you. You have to believe me. I couldn't thought, and I'm sorry." AJ told me. He sounded sincere.

"Well, you're forgiven. This time. Just don't screw up again." I told him.

"Noted...don't screw up." AJ said.

"Good. Now I'm hungry. Get me food." I demanded.

"So you're finally going to eat here, huh? Well too bad I don't have anything...you're gonna have to come with me to Mickey D's." AJ said.

"And get in a car with you again?" I asked, "Nooooo thank you!"

"Okay, you can starve...I'm gonna go get something to eat." AJ got up and moved toward the door.

I must have been crazy, or just really hungry, but Igot up and said, "Wait, I'll come with you. Damn. You could have just bought me something there and brought it to me but noooo. I HAVE to come with you so I can die in the car."

"You won't die. Trust me. I won't let you. Just don't try to fling you out of a moving car again, kay? Now hurry up and change. What the hell were you doing that got you so wet?"

"Jumping off a roof into a pool."
14 by Ashleigh
It was a few weeks later and the only thing that had really changed between AJ and I was that I didn't hate him. I liked him, sure, but I didn't love him. Not yet, anyway. I had been surprised to find out that he was actually really nice and fun to be around. But shhh...don't tell him I told you so.

While AJ was at his moms' house, I sat downstairs in the living room and watched TV as I talked to Jared on the phone.

"You nervous about school starting?" Jared asked.

"Hell yeah!" I told him, "They start in four weeks here. Two weeks earler than over there!"

"I'll think of a way to get you out of it." Jared told me.

I laughed. "J, you're like a katrillion miles! How do you expect to do that?"

I could tell that Jared was shrugging as he said, "I'll think of something. I always do."

"Okay, genius. You do that." I said with a smiled, "I've got to go. AJ is bringing his mom here and I have to meet her."

Jared laughed. "I wish I could be there."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll talk to you later." I said.

"Bye." Jared hung up still laughing at me.

He knew that I'd make a fool of myself in front of this woman. In front of any adult I say or do something completely retarded. Once in front of Jared's grandmothere, I stubbed my tow on his sisters crib and started cussing up a storm. His grandmother was "shocked" at how "such a pretty girl can have such an ugly mouth". It also kind of freaked her out that I was only 11 and knew every curse word known to man in almost four different languages. What can I say? I'm talented.

As I was putting the phone back in it's cradle thef front door opened and I heard a woman say, "I can't wait to see her, Alex. Now that things are better between the two of you and all."

I stood up and walked over to the living room doorway. I stood in it and watched as AJ walked in with his mother.

"Hi." I said to her, trying to be all cheerful. Let me tell you, it's kind of hard for me.

There was an awkward silence. Crap, were they waiting for me to say something? Hell no! I was the first to speak. Their turn!

AJ spoke up. "Mom, this is Kelly. You know her, of course, because I always used to make you watch her."

"I remember." She said with a smile.

"And Kel, this is my mom, Denise." AJ told me.

I smiled. I felt weird. I always feel weird. I must be crazy or something. Someone needs to get me on some meds. It might help me a-

"Kelly," Denise said, pulling me out of my thoughts. "You gotten so big."

I smiled. Yes, that is what usually happens throughout the years.

"You're so beautiful." She continued.

My smile wavered a bit. I have a feeling that she's blind...yes, that must be it.

As she bent down to hug me she said, "I can't believe how long it's been."

She kept on talking but all I was thinking was get off me. Get off me. But she couldn't read my mind. Darn. Why not, for once, can I have someone be able to read my mind?

Then AJ, God bless him, got his mother off of me. "Let's go sit down. That way you can catch up with Kelly without strangling her." He said.

I followed AJ and Denise into the living room. I had to sit next to her on the couch...

"So Kelly, what have you been up to?" Denise questioned.

"A whole lot of nothing." I told her.

"Ah...sounds interesting." She said.

"Yup. Very interesting." I joked.

AJ tried t save us, but failed miserably. "Um, Kelly here has been seeing this guy, Chris, for a few weeks. Why don't you tell her about him."

"Oh, is he a boyfriend?" Denise asked.

Good save, AJ. GOOD FREAKING SAVE!

I glared at AJ and turned to Denise. I smiled sweetly and said, "No, we've just gone out a few times."

"Oh..." Denise looked uncomfortable, "Alex, isn't this about the age that you started dating Allison?"

"Yeah, but we were a lot different, Mom." AJ said,

"I used to catch the two of you outside of our apartment making out." Denise remembered with a small laugh, "Kelly, are you and this...Chris boy like that?"

"N-no! Not at all!" I said. Why the heck was this woman interrogating me?

"Mom, okay...cut it out." AJ said. He was probably just as embarrased as I was. His mom had just told me about when he used to make out with my mom.

"Alright, I just wanted to know." Denise said.

"So..." I said. There was nothing to talk about.

Then the doorbell rang. "I'll get it." I said, jumping up. SAVED BY THE BELL!
15 by Ashleigh
"I'll get it!" I said, jumping up. Anything to get me away from these two for a minute.

I ran to the door and flung it open, not really caring who was on the other side. (I was just glad that they were there!) But I was happy when I saw with Chris with Evan and Paul. Jordan was on the sidewalk trying (but failing miserably) to grind on the curb.

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" I asked them.

Paul shrugged. "Chris wanted to see if you wanted to hang out today." He said.

Chris elbowed Paul in the ribs and sent him a death glare. I laughed and said, "I wish I could, but AJ's mom is here and I'm beinf held against my will here."

"Oh, do you want us to get you out of it?" Evan asked.

"No, not right now, but maybe I'll call-" I started, but the sound of AJ's voice stopped me.

"Kel, who the hell is at the door?" He asked, coming up behind me, "Hey that rhymed." He laughed until he saw Chris, Paul, and Evan looking at him like he was weird, and Jordan looking on curiously from the sidewalk.

"Oh, uh, AJ this is Paul, Chris, and Evan." I motioned to each of them and then pointed to Jordan, "And that over there is Jordan."

"WAZZUP?!?!" Jordan yelled stupidly.

I shook my head. "And this is AJ. My dad." I said, stressing the word dad.

Jordan stopped being an idiot and said, "Oh shit! That's your dad? I thought he was your brother!"

I smiled. "Ih, no. Unfortunently, he's my dad."

"Unfortunently?" AJ questioned, "If it weren't for me, little girl, you wouldn't be here."

"You don't know that for a fact. I could be..."

"No no no. Trust me...you wouldn't be here." AJ said.

I sighed. No matter where we are we can end up in an argument. Mostly about the most retarded crap. I looked at the guys who were looking on with great amusement. Jeez, we aren't that interesting.

"Well, I'm kind of busy now, so I'll see you later." I told them.

"Wait," AJ said, holding the foor open. He leaned against it as turned to Chris. "So you're Chris, huh? I fianlly ger to meet you. Kelly talks about you like you're God or something."

I rolled my eyes. "AJ, stooooop it." I whined. "Go back to your mom and piss her off for a while."

AJ looked at me and asked, "Oh, am I embarassing you?"

I nodded. Of course he is! He's ruining any chance I have with Chris here!

"I'm sorry." AJ said. He didn't look or sound sorry at all. He turned back to Chris. "So...is your hair always blue like that?"

Chris looked at me, and then back to AJ. "Uh...after I dye it." He said. I felt so sorry for him. AJ was putting him on the spot.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"AJ!" I hissed, "Cut it out!"

"I'm 15." Chris answered.

AJ looked horrified for a moment and then asked, "So...how long until your 16?"

"Oh, I just turned 15." Chris told him, "About two months ago."

AJ looked a little less horrified at that, but not by much.

"Okay, well we've got to go. We'll talk to you later, kay? Kay. Come on, AJ." I pulled AJ away from the door abd waved to them all who were beginning to leave.

As soon as the door was closed securly behind us AJ and I started to argue again. "What the hell was that? Why were you just putting him on the spot?" I screamed, just as AJ said, "15? 15-years-old! He's 2 years older than you and has blue hair!"

"Who cares if he has blue hair? God, how many hair colors have you had?" I asked.

"I am an adult. I can dye my hair green if I wanted to!" AJ yelled back at me.

"What? You haven't already?" I asked.

At that moment, Denise came walking in from the living room. "What's going on in here?" She asked.

"Nothing." We answered at the same time. I glared at him.

"I'm going outside." AJ muttered. As he walked toward the door he picked up his pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

I looked at Denise. Crap...he'd gone and left me with a woman I don't even know.

"I didn't do anything." I blurted out.

"I know you didn't." Denise told me, "Alex does have a short temper sometimes..."

"Yeah, I know from experience." I said.

"Really? You?" Denise asked, "What did he do?"

No I'm getting him in trouble. "Um, nothing much. Just kind of get angry with me." I said, "But he had a right to," I added quickly, "I wasn't exactly being nice to him."

Denise nodded and said, "Why don't you go get him? He's just out there smoking."

"Oh, out there causing cancer. Interesting."

I walked to the door and opened it slightly. AJ was sitting on the porch steps and looked back when he heard the door open. He was holding one cigaretter and I noticed another on the ground next to him.

I walked out and shut the door behind me. "Did you know that second-hand smoke kills 35,000 people each year? And that's a lot. What if I die? Wouldn't that be horrible?"

"Uh...yeah. It would be. Well, I'm gonna put this thing out."

"That's nice." I said as I watched him drop the cigarette onto the concrete porch. "Helping me to live...That makes up for everything you've ever done to me before."

"Okay, what do you want?" He asked me.

"Nothing..." I insisted, "I just wanted to be in the presence of my wonderful father. Is that so wrong?"

"Uh, yeah. At least from you."

"Okay...I know. So, can I have fifty dollars?" I asked him.

"Nope."

I glared at him as I stood up. "You are so mean..." I told him.

"Love you, too."
16 by Ashleigh
At about 9:00 that night I went downstairs to the kitchen. I'd already had like, three dinners, but I'm still hungry. I'm always hungry. When I walked into the kitchen I realized that AJ is obviously always hungry, too. He was leaning against the kitchen counter eating out of a bag of chips, staring into space.

"I'm hungry." I told him.

AJ was taken by surprise and jumped slightly. I laughed. He shook his head and asked, "Again? Damn...You eat a lot."

"Hey! You're eating again, too." I told him, pointing to the bag of chips.

"Yeah, well...I'm older!" AJ argued.

I rolled my eyes. "And I'm still growing." I said.

"You are? Good, cuz you're short." AJ so blatantly reminded me. As if I didn't know.

The think is, I'm probably not growing anymore. Sucks to be me. I'm going to stay 5'1 forever...

AJ sat on a stool and patted the one next to it. "Sit. Let's talk about...Chris."

"Why?" I asked suspiciously. I grabbed the bag of chips from him.

"Because..."AJ began, "Because I said so. Now...you probably already know this, but I'm not too fond of him. There's just something about him." AJ shook his head.

"His hair?" I suggested.

"No...that's not it."

"He's older than me...that's it, right?"

AJ shook his head again. "That's part of it, but there's someting else...I, well, I just don't trust him."

"Well I do." I said, "He's nice."

"Kelly, please don't date him or whatever you're doing anymore. It's the only thing that I'm asking...can you promise me that?" AJ asked.

I shrugged. "Sure, why not?" I was lying. I was going to go out with him "or whatever." No matter what AJ said.
17 by Ashleigh
Oh crap. Oh crap. OH CRAP!!! I woke up the day before the first day of school with this thought running through my head. No no no no NO!!!!!! I do not want to go to school here! I don't know anybody, and I've seen the people my age walking around the neighborhood...PREPS! Bitchy looking preps who are obsessed with my dad. They stand outside the house trying to make it look like they were just hanging out. Like, they are so obvious! Oh my gosh! Hee hee hee hee!

After I took a shower and all that, I went downstairs to eat. As I was walking to the kitchen, I nearly collided into AJ who was walking down the hall with a bowl of cereal.

"Hey, watch where you are going. And where I'm going." I said,

AJ didn't say anything. He just ran upstairs in a rush. Why was he in such a hurry? I shrugged and went into the kitchen. The cereal and milk were both still on the counter. I got a bowl and poured the cereal and then the milk into it.

"Kelly, I've got to go to Brian's for a few hours. I'll be back...well, in a few hours." AJ said, coming up next to me and placing his bowl in the sink.

"Okay, see ya later." I said.

"Go ahead and order whatever you want, get whatever I've got in the fridge which is basically nothing." He told me.

"Okay. Buh bye."

"Bye." AJ said, leaving the kitchen.

I put the milk away and left the cereal on the counter. Then I sat at the table and ate. It was boring. No one to talk to. No one to argue with. Nobody.

After I finished my first bowl, I got another. Once I was done with that I went to the living room and turned on the TV. I watched for about an hour and a half until the doorbell rang. I jumped up. Please let it be Chris! Please!

I ran to the door and flung it open. My mouth hung open when I saw who it was.

"What's up, Kelly?"

"Jared!" I exclaimed, jumping into his arms, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Jared hugged me and said, "I'm here to take you home!"

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Pack. I'm taking you home." Was all Jared would say.

I laughed. "How do you intend to do that? Are you asking me to walk all the way to Nevada with you?"

Jared moved over a bit and pointed to a car. Caleb was sitting inside. He nodded at me.

"J, uh, you're going to take me home in a car?" I asked.

"No. We're going to take you to the airport in a car." Jared said.

"Airport? How'd you afford plane tickets?" I asked.

"Caleb has some...friends." Jared told me, "Now go pack!"

"Okay, come with me." I said.

I turned and ran inside, Jared following slowly behind me. "This house is huge." He said.

I ran into my room and called, "I know! Come check out my room!"

I hadn't really even unpacked my clothes. They were all still in my bags, except for my dirty clothes that I hadn't washed yet. I stuffed those into one of the bags, and went to my dresser and threw the makeup and CD's I had lying on it into the bag.

Jared walked inside and exclaimed, "Jesus. This room is bigger than our apartment!"

"I know!" I said, putting my remaining items into my carry-on. "It's awesome, huh?" I asked.

"Rich people get everything." Jared told me.

"That's what I thought, too." I said.

"You all packed?" Jared asked. I nodded. "Okay, let's go!" He said.

I was walking out the door, Jared carrying one of my bigger bags, me carrying the other two when I suddenly remembered something. "Wait! I have to leave a note!"

I dropped one of my bags and ran back into the room. I went into the drawer where I was keeping the school supplies that I would never use and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen. I leaned over the desk to write it. I had to leave AJ a note. Or else he might think I'm dead or got kidnapped.

AJ,
Sorry, but I have to leave. It's not horrible here or anything, but I just have to go. You'll prolly think that I'm with my mom, but I'm not. I'll call you once I get to where I'm going. I'll miss ya, I guess. Thanks for putting up with me.
Love,
Kelly

I put the note on my bed and ran back to Jared, picking up my stuff. I smiled. I was going home.

But I didn't feel as happy as I thought I would.
18 by Ashleigh
"Okay, Kel. We're gonna have to sneak you in through the window." Jared whispered to me when we got into his house.

"What?" I whispered back, "How come?"

Caleb spoke up, "Our parents don't exctly know you're here..."

"You guys!" I hissed, "They're going to find out! How could you be so stupid?" I hit Jared's arm.

"Don't worry. We'll convince our mom and then..." Jared didn't know what to say afterwards.

"And then we'll surprise her." Caleb answered.

I sighed. How stupid could they get? Oh well...nothing I can do now.

"Come on, then. Take me to the window." I said, "I can't believe you're making me climb through a window."

Jared, Caleb, and I ran around to the back of the house where their bedroom window is. It was already opened. Jared threw my bags inside and then pushed himself up and got in.

"Okay," He whispered, "Help her up."

Caleb gave me a boost and when I grabbed onto the windowsill, Jared helped me inside. Then Caleb got in by himself. Hmph. I oly needed help because I'm too short to get in by myself.

Once I'd settled myself, I turned around and saw Garret sitting in his bed with a flashlight on. I gasped. Garret! Had they forgotten they shared a room with him?

"Chill Kelly," Caleb whispered, "He knew you were coming. Didn't you Garret?"

Garret nodded proudly. "And it's about time you got here, too. Mommy was wondering where you were." He said.

"Does she suspect anything?" Jared asked.

Garret shook his head. "I odn't think so. She didn't say anything. What are you going to tell her?" He asked excitedly.

Jared and Caleb looked at each other. Jared shrugged and turned back to Garret. "I don't knoe. But we'll think of something."

I was scared. Gosh, what if their mom caught me, called AJ and my mom, and made me tell them everything?

AJ...He'd probably found the letter and was worried about me. I wonder what he was doing? If he was calling my mom now. If he called my mom she'd definitely call Mrs. Knowles. And then the whole thing would be ruined.

"Okay, Kel. You sleep here." Jared said, pointing to a sleeping bag next to his bed.

"Ooh. Sleeping bag. How...comfortable." I said sarcastically.

Jared smiled. "It's only until we can get you a bed."

"Thus meaning it will always be my bed?" I asked.

"Yup," Jared told me, "Now we all have to go to sleep, okay?"

"Okay. Where am I supposed to change?" I asked him.

Jared shrugged. "Under the sleeping bag, I guess."

"In a room full of budding sex maniacs? No thank you." I said.

"Would you like to go to the bathroom and run the risk of getting caught?" Jared asked.

"No..." I sighed, "Whatever." I went to my bags and dug through them before I found a baggy shirt and a pair of sweats. I got under my sleeping bag and changed quickly. Jared, Caleb, and Garret all stayed in their beds. After I changed I put the others in the closest bag to me. Then I laid down and closed my eyes.

I sighed again. Just when I was getting used to sleeping at AJ's house, I'm yanked away and have to sleep in a sleeping bag in a small apartment. This sucks.
19 by Ashleigh
It was only about an hour later. I couldn't sleep at all. I couldn't help but wonder what AJ was doing...how worried he was about me? It was almost 1:00 in Florida. Was he even awake? Something told me he was sleeping...I buried my head in my pillow. I should call him. Now.

I got out of the sleeping bag and tiptoed to the door. The guys were all already asleep. I opened the door as quietly as I could and picked up the phone from the table in the hall. Thank God they don't keep it in the living room where their sisters sleep. They'd probably wake up.

I walked into the bathroom and closed the door and locked it behind me. It was the only place that I could get privacy. I then dialed AJ's cell number because it was the only one I knew. I don't know what his home number is because I never had to call it.

The phone rang only once. "Hello?" He answered. His voice sounded hoarse, like he'd been crying or something. But come on, AJ cry over me?

"AJ?" I asked, even though I knew it was him.

"Kelly!" AJ said, relieved. I heard him saying, "Mom, it's Kelly."

"Yeah, it's me." I said quietly.

AJ's voice got harsh. "Where the hell are you? I've been so fucking worried about you! Why the hell did you leave? Where the hell did you go?"

"Alex, calm down. She called you, didn't she?" I heard Denise say.

"Sorry AJ..." I said, "Uh, I'm back in Las Vegas. With Jared."

"Jared? Who's Jared?" AJ asked, "Is that that kid your mom said you were with? When you just decided to spend the night with him? And you're doing it again. What are you doing with him tonight?" He sounded very angry.

"Nothing...he just showed up at your house and asked me if I wanted to come home." I told him, "I'm really, really sorry."

"Yeah yeah yeah. I know you're sorry. They all are when they know that they screwed up. But it's not going to work this time. You're coming home. Tomorrow. And I'm picking you up." AJ said.

"Why are you coming to get-"

AJ interruped me. "I don't trust you, Kwlly. I can't. Now where does this guy live?" He asked.

I gave AJ Jared's address and he said, "I'm cming to get you tomorrow morning. Early. So you'd better be up and ready." He hung up without saying goodbye.

I hung up the phone, too, and walked out of the bathroom. And standing there was Mr. and Mrs. Knowles. Uh-oh.

"Hello, Kelly. What are you doing here?" Mrs. Knowles asked me.

"I, uh, um, I..." I couldn't think of anything to say. Boy was I busted. Jared and Caleb were, too.

"Jeff, go get Jared. I'll speak with Kelly." Mrs. Knowles told her husband.

Mr. Knowles walked to the boys room and Mrs. Knowles took me into the kitchen. We sat at the table. I looked down at my hands nervously.

"Kelly, I know that I can trust you to tell me the truth, unlike my son. Can you please tell me exactly what is going on?" She asked me.

I took a deep breath and began to tell her the story. All of it. From when Jared and Caleb came to pick me up to just a few minutes ago when I called AJ and he told me he was coming to get me.

"So Caleb was in on this, too? What about Garret?" Mrs. Knowles asked.

I nodded. "Garret knew, but he didn't go with them or anything." I said.

Mrs. Knowles sighed. "And I thought I could trust Garret and Caleb..." She said. I knew she didn't trust Jared because he was pretty bad most of the time.

"Well I'm sorry that this happened. I keep on screwing things up for you guys." I told her.

Mrs. Knowles shrugged. "It's all right. I know that most of the time this is usually Jared's idea. Now do you want to call your mom and thell her that you're here?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No. I don't want her to know that I'm here. I just hope that my dad didn't call her." I said.

Mrs. Knowles nodded understandingly. She was about to say something when Mr. Knowles came in with Jared and Caleb.

"Now..." Mr. Knowles said, "Let's all talk about this."

Oh goody.
20 by Ashleigh
The plane ride to Florida was silent. AJ wouldn't talk to me, and I didn't talk to him either.

The car ride back to his house was pretty much silent, too. All he asked me was if I was hungry, I told him that I was and we stopped by at Burger Kind because it was on the way. I thought he would have gone out of his way to go to McDonald's because he's such a freak about it, but he didn't.

When we got back home I was forced into bringing my stuff in by myself. AJ didn't help me one bit. And once I got inside he had already gone upstairs. Rude, I tell ya, rude! I lugged my stuff upstairs and into my room.

I closed the door and walked to my bed. I set the Burger King bag in front of me and took out my chicken sandwich (uh, mmm.). But I couldn't eat it. I had peanuts on the plane. I'm not hungry.

As I poked at my sandwich, AJ walked inside of my room. I looked at him without saying anything. I couldn't say anything in fear he would get angry.

But he didn't say anything either. Is he giving me the silent treatment? I thought that was my job! All that AJ did was walk over to me and hug me. Whoa there, boy...heh heh. Freaking me out now. I didn't protest or anything, though. But I didn't hug him back. That would be too weird.

"God, Kelly, how could you just leave?"

I shrugged. "Jared just showed up so I figured I had to go with him."

AJ saw my sandwich on the bed, with holes in it from where I'd massacred it, and asked, "Why didn't you eat that?"

"Oh, I'm not too hungry."

"Oh, okay." AJ said, "And just so you know, you didn't have to go with Jared."

That was the last thing he said before he got up and began to leave my room.

"Wait, AJ." I said.

He turned to face me. "Yeah?" He asked.

"I really am sorry. Not just because I did something wrong, but because I know I must have gotten you worried." I said.

AJ nodded. "Hell yeah you did," He told me, "I almost called your mom thinking you really were at her house."

"Oh good. So you didn't call her?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I didn't want her to worry about you." He told me.

"Thank you! My mom would freak out." I said.

"I know. That's why I didn't call her." AJ told me, "But I would have if you didn't call at all. And I'm glad that you did."

"So you honestly had no idea that I would be at Jared's house?" I asked.

"I don't know Jared. Even if I did, I don't know his number." AJ told me, "But I did call Chris and he and his friends went looking for you around the neighborhood."

"Why'd you call Chris?" I asked.

"I thought that you might have been at his house." He told me.

"Why would I go there?" I asked.

"I thought you were mad at me so you wanted to get away from me." AJ asked.

I shook my head. "Why would I just try and get away from you?" I asked.

"Because you hate me. Remember?" AJ asked like I was an idiot.

"I don't hate you." I insisted.

"Oh yeah. You like me. My mistake." He corrected himself.

"No, I don't just like you," I said, "'You're my dad. I'm forced into loving you no matter how much you screw up my life."

AJ smiled at this. An actual real smile. "Aaaw...you're forced into living me." He said, "That's almost sentimental."

"Yeah, almost. But who knows. Maybe in a few weeks it will be heartfelt." I told him.

"Yeah right. After I send you to school, you'll hate me forever." He said before walking out of my room, closing the door behind him.

School. NOOOO! I'd missed the first day so now I was just going to stand out even more in the crowd. I didn't know anyone except for Evan in my school. And he was only going because he kept on failing the 8th grade. Yeah, I'll probably be repeating it, too.

I groaned and fell back. Great, I really do hate AJ now. Only not really. I can't hate that pierced, tattooed man.
21 by Ashleigh
AJ woke me up at 6:45 the next morning.

Okay, first of all I can get myself up. Second, DOES HE NOT KNOW NEVER TO WAKE ME UP ON A SCHOOL DAY? I'm supposed to sleep in until third period.

Well, I finally got out of bed at 7:30. I didn't even bother to take a shower. I just got dressed and brushed my hair. Then I went downstairs and ate. I've never been the type to get too nervous to eat before school. I eat no matter what. I'm just weird like that.

AJ told me not to get suspended since it was my first day and kicked me out of his house.

I walked down the street to the bus stop. When I got there their were already a lot of people standing there. They all started at me. What am I? Some kind of freak?

I stood away from them all, avoiding the gazes. Even the sixth graders were looking at me. Jeez, they're new, too. Just because they've been here ONE MORE DAY THAN-

"Excuse me," I looked to my left and saw a tall blonde girl standing there with a fairly large group behind her, "Can I ask you something?"

I shrugged.

"Um, I hope you don't mind me asking you this, but..." She paused for a moment, looking over her shoulder, "Are you AJ McLean's daughter?"

"What makes you think that?" I asked. How did it get out? No one knew.

"It's just, me and my friends here have seen you at his house and we were just figuring that maybe you could be..." She told me.

I shook my head. "Nope. He's my...brother." I told them.

"AJ is an only child." Another, smaller girl spoke up in a stuck up kind of way.

"Or so you think..." I said, "It's all just an act. He's not an only child. He has me."

"I don't believe that." The first girl said, "He's just been putting up an act about not having a kid. And now it's out." She smiled, "It's been great talking to you."

"Yeah, you too bitch." I muttered.

She turned around. "What did you call me?" She asked.

"Bitch." I answered with a smile.

"Oh no you didn't! No one calls me a bitch and gets away with it!" She said angrily, "I'm gonna kick your ass."

"Ooh. I am shaking. Help me mommy." I said sarcastically with a roll of my eyes.

"Your mom probably dumped you on the streets. She got rid of you just like your dad did when you were younger." She told me.

I laughed. "Oh my God. You know absolutely nothing about my life, so you shouldn't even be talking." I said.

"I'll talk about you as much as I fucking want to." She said.

"Ya know what? I should hurt you, but I'm going to hold myself back. I don't need to be getting in trouble before I even get to school." I said.

"What? Are you afraid? Of me?" She asked, "Cuz you should be you stupid little bitch."

That was it. This girl was too much for me and I couldn't stand her. And when I can't stand someone I feel the need to haul off and slug them. I got her right in the nose. Unfortunately, it was right when the bus came up.

The bus driver opened the door and ran out. "Hey you, girl!" He said to me.

Most of the kids went inside of the bus, but some stayed out and watched the scene unfolding. The girl had her nose covered, but I could tell it was bleeding. I actually smiled, even though it probably wasn't a good thing to do.

"What do you think is so great?" The driver asked me angrily.

I've never been the type to back down and try to get myself out of trouble. (I've never been the type to do a lot of things...) I smiled again and said, "Dude, I broke her nose. What do you think I'm so happy about?"

"That's nothing to be proud of!" The girl cried.

"Lindsay, calm down." The driver told her.

"You on a first name basis with all the kids or just the ones you like to look at?" I asked.

"Listen, girly. You get your ass on the bus and when you get to school, I'm taking you to the office. And you're calling your mom." He told me.

"Sure. Why not? I'd be happy to call my mom." I said, walking towards the bus.

"She doesn't live with her mom! She lives with her dad! AJ McLean!" Lindsay said so that all of the kids on the bus could hear her.

"Fine, you'll call your dad then." The driver said, "Now get on the bus. All of you."

I followed everybody onto the bus. Most of the seats were filled. I sighed. I was going to have to find somebody to let me sit with them. I walked over to a guy who was sitting alone. "Move." I ordered.

"No." He told me, "Go find some other goth to sit with."

"Number one, I'm not a goth you dumb retard," I said, "And number two, move your ass now before I do the same thing to you that I did to that bitch Lindsay."

He picked up his bag and set it down on the ground, letting me sit next to him.

"So you hit her?" He asked.

"Looks like it, don't it?" I asked.

"I used to go out with her." He told me.

"I pity you." I told him with a shake of my head.

He smiled. "Yeah, I pity myself. She cheated on me and then dumped me. So I agree with you that she's a bitch." He said.

I would have liked this guy except for the fact that he was a basketball player. I found this out as we were talking on the way to school. His name was Daniel and he had dated almost every girl on the cheerleading squad. Lindsay was a cheerleader he informed me. But only on JV. I could care less, though. I don't know what a JV is, anyway.
22 by Ashleigh
When we got to the school, the bus driver, Freddy, led Lindsay and I straight to the principals office. I got a lot of strange looks from people as I passed by. And why not? I was an unfamiliar girl who looked like she grew up in the bad part of town, trailing behind a fat school bus driver and a popular cheerleader with a bloody nose...Yeah, wouldn't you stare, too? One kid started to laugh at me and I flicked him off. He made a face and turned back to his locker.

What a dumb ass.

When we got to the office, Freddy told the principal exactly what happened. In his own words. "This young lady here hit Lindsay in the face for no apparent reason." He said, "She was standing there talking and she took a swing at her."

"Hey! That is untrue. She was talking shit about me so I hit her. That's a reason for me, dammit! And this fat ass is only sticking up for her because he likes to stare at her boobs and her butt all the time probably and he should be fired for being such an ignorant, shallow, superficial, uninformed..." I couldn't think of another word, so it was a good thing that the principal, Ms. Holmes, cut me off.

"Excuse me young lady, that is enough!" She said, "What is your name?" She demanded.

"Prudence Morales." I lied. Prudence Morales was the person that Jared and I used to make fun of all the time at my old school."

"Okay Miss Morales. Please call your parent." The principal told me, writhing down the name on a paper.

"Ms. Holmes," Lindsay said, her voice all funny sounding, "She's lying. That's not her name."

"How would you know?" I asked, glaring at Lindsay and then laughing when I saw her nose. I broke a cartilage or...a thousand there now didn't I?

"I know because AJ McLean would never name his child something like that." Lindsay said.

"But I thought he hated me...That is what you said, right?" I asked.

Lindsay thought for a second before answering, "He wouldn't want to embarrass himself in front of the people at the hospital!"

I rolled my eyes. "That was the stupidest excuse I have ever heard." I turned to Ms. Holmes. "Fine, my name is Kelly Conner." I said.

"McLean." Lindsay said.

"Nope, Conner. My moms last name. You know, the other parent who hates me." I said.

"Call your father." Ms. Holmes said.

I shrugged and picked up the phone. As I dialed AJ's number, Ms. Holmes took down Lindsay's information. The phone rang almost four times. I thought he had his phone turned off or something until his voice came on. "Talk." He said.

"What a wonderful way to answer, AJ." I said.

Lindsay squealed. I gave her a look of disgust. This child needs to get some serious help.

"Kelly? What are you doing calling me? And who's there with you?" AJ asked.

"Oh, I'm in the office and some preppy, obsessed girl is in here with me." I told him like it was no big deal.

"What are you doing in the office?" AJ asked slowly.

"I broke a girls nose." I told him.

"WHAT?!" AJ yelled.

I held the phone away from my ear for a second, and then upon replacing it said, "Jesus, AJ. I can hear ya fine without you yelling. Okay, so are you mad?"

"Of course I'm not. I could care less. All you did was disfigure a girls nose." AJ told me sarcastically.

"Yeah, that's all I did." I said.

"Let me talk to the principal." AJ told me with a heavy sigh.

"Okay." I handed the phone to Ms. Homes and said, "He wants to talk to you."

She took the phone from me and said, "Mr. Conner..."

"McLean." Lindsay and I said together.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Mr. McLean. This is Jackie Holmes, the principal at La Mesa Junior High." She said, "Yes...If you could come down here, I would be very grateful...Okay, I will see you in a little bit...Thank you, Mr. McLean." That was the end of the conversation that I got to listen in on.

"Is AJ coming?" Lindsay asked excitedly, "Is he? Is he?"

How can she be that excited when she had a broken nose? I mean, it will ruin her chances of ever getting Daniel back. Though by the way he talked about her, it doesn't seem like he wants her back.

"Yes, Miss Johnson, he is coming. And so is your mother." Ms. Holmes said, "I'll get Ms. F to get her."

Ms. F was the secretary. I didn't want to ask what the F stood for. It was probably something embarrassing. Ms. Holmes got up and went to the door. She opened it and said, "Annette, can you get Ashley is here?"

Ms. F said she would, and Ms. Holmes closed the door and walked back to her desk.

I looked at Lindsay. "So, your mom works here?"

She raised her eyebrows at me and said, "Yeah. So?"

"My dad works...everywhere. Cuz he's famous you know. He's AJ McLean." I teased her.

"So what? I don't care." Lindsay lied. She so loved him.

"You know, AJ McLean, that sexy little bitch you worship." I teased some more.

"Miss Conner. Please watch your mouth! You?re in enough trouble as it is!" Ms. Holmes snapped.

"Sorry." I said, "So, am I getting suspended?"

"Most likely." Ms. Holmes told me, "After what you did, do you really think you could get away with it?"

I didn't want to get suspended of course. Why would I? "It's my first day. I don't know your customs." I said.

"Where do you come from?" Ms. Holmes asked me.

"Las Vegas," I answered, "Land of getting away with anything."

"Well it's very different here." Ms. Holmes informed me, "Very different."
23 by Ashleigh
I sat in the squishy orange armchair in the office with Lindsay next to me starting up her fake tears. Her mother stood beside her and tried to comfort her. Like there's anything to comfort! She is faking.

We were just waiting for AJ now. What was taking him so long? It had been half an hour and he still hadn't showed. I could tell that everybody else was getting kind of upset, too.

I sighed and slumped down in my chair. I was getting suspended for God knows how long. I'd broken the nose of the perfect girl, so it had to be for a while.

A few minutes later, AJ walked inside. I sat up straight and looked at him. "It's about freaking time." I snapped at him.

"Sorry," AJ said to everyone, "I got... I lost track of time. Sorry." He repeated again.

I thought that sounded a bit suspicious. I would ask him about it later. He stood behind my chair and waited for Ms. Holmes to speak.

She cleared her throat. "Fighting is frowned upon here at La Mesa High as your daughter found out."

"We weren't fighting." Lindsay said, "She just hit me for no reason. Unresolved issues."

"No, I hit you cuz you were talking shit about my dad, my mom and me." I said.

"Kelly... " AJ said warningly.

"I've already told her, Mr. McLean, that she needs to learn to watch her mouth." Ms. Holmes said.

"Oh, I wasn't talking about that. I don't really care that she curses." AJ said with a shrug.

I had to hold back my laughter. Ms. Holmes must be thinking that he's where I got it from. Yeah right. Unless he cursed constantly when I was a baby. And I'm thinking that he did...

"Okay... well, I have her punishment all thought out. Fighting is usually a week suspension, but since your daughter here has such a smart mouth, I'm going to make it a week and a half." Ms. Holmes told me and AJ.

"What? Hey, that ain't fair!" I said.

"Do you want it to be two weeks?" Ms. Holmes asked.

I shook my head. Was she stupid? Of course I didn't want two weeks! I looked at Lindsay. She was trying to suppress her laughter. I knew it. Her mother on the other hand was just standing there. Probably contemplating how much she was going to sue us for. 5,000 for the plastic surgery, and another million for pain and suffering! Oh my gosh!!!

"I would like both Mr. McLean and Miss Johnson to both fill out these papers. And then you can leave." Ms. Holmes said.

"Hey, could I chill out in there." I asked, pointing outside of the door of the principals office.

"Yeah, just don't leave." AJ told me, as he bent down to fill out the papers.

As I was walking out of the office, I caught Lindsay trying to sneak a peek at AJ. "It's not there. He doesn't have one." I told her. Jeez, if she's such a big fan she should know that AJ McLean has no ass. Pick someone who does!!
24 by Ashleigh
As AJ and I were walking out of the school to his car a few minutes later, AJ said, "Ashley Johnson told me she wouldn't sue if I went somewhere with her."

I laughed. How freaking hilarious. "Like mother like daughter, huh? Both of them are obsessed with you. So, what did you say?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course I am. Do you think I'm going to let her sue me?" AJ asked.

I shrugged. "You've got loads of money." I said.

"Yeah, but we don't need to waste that money on a girls fucked up nose." AJ told me.

"You can waste it on whatever you like." I told him.

"Well I don't want to waste it on that." AJ told me.

"Didn't think so." I said, "But it was worth a try."

When we reached AJ's car, he unlocked my door and then went to the drivers side. I got inside and securely put on my seatbelt. Take no chances.

"So why were you so late? What were you doing?" I asked when AJ came into the car.

"Someone came by to see me." AJ said, starting up the car.

"Really... who?" I asked.

"No one special. Just...just someone, Kelly, okay? Now why were you fighting?" AJ asked, trying to change the subject.

"I had momentum." I told him, "Now who is this 'someone' you speak of?" I changed the subject again.

"My ex." AJ finally told me.

"Really? Well what were you doing?" I asked, "Cuz I heard it only takes 15 minutes to-"

"Kelly!" AJ said, "Shut up! That's not what we were doing!"

"You told me to shut up... Don't you think I've been through enough?!" I exclaimed.

"YOU'VE been through too much? I'm the one having to pick up my daughter who got suspended the first day to school, and I have to go out with some woman who's ten years older than me so I don't get sued! You've got it easy!" AJ said, "But not for long. I'm still thinking of what to do with you."

"Let me off with just a warning?" I suggested cautiously.

AJ laughed. "Yeah right! Maybe I'll make you clean the house."

I gasped. AJ's house was freaking messy! "That's cruel and unusual punishment and I refuse to do it!" I announced.

AJ nodded. "Yeah, I think that is what I'll make you do." He said.

"Nooooooo!" I cried, "Don't make me do it! Mom would just tell me never to get in a fight again and make me do the dishes for a few days."

"Well, I'm not your mom." AJ said, "Oh, that reminds me, she called last night after you went to sleep. She wants you to call her."

"Oh, okay." I said.

I hadn't talked to my mom since I got here. I was too mad at her for making me come to live with AJ. But now that he and I were getting along, there was no reason for me to be angry at her anymore.

"So are you going to call her?" AJ asked when we were down the street from his house.

I shrugged. "I guess. It has been a few months since I've talked to her." I said.

"Good. She's pretty confused why you won't call her." AJ told me, "I told her it was because you were busy and you didn't have the time."

"So you lied to her for me?" I asked.

AJ glanced at me as he pulled into his parking lot and said, "Well, she didn't need to know the real reason."

"Great. I don't want her to know the real reason." I said.

"Uh, yeah." AJ agreed, "Don't want her to know that you don't like it here."

"Didn't like it here." I corrected him, "I like it here now. It's better than with my mom in that crap apartment."

AJ smiled and asked, "Are you sucking up so I don't make you clean."

"You're too smart...way too smart."
25 by Ashleigh
"Mom, hi it's Kelly. I was just calling to say-"

"Kelly?" Mom asked, after she turned off the answering machine, "Hi, baby. How are you? I've missed you so much!"

"Yeah, Mom. I missed you too. And I'm doing great. Never better." I lied.

"What's going on?" Mom asked suspiciously.

Damn! She knows me too well! I sighed and said, "I got suspended."

AJ laughed. He was sitting next to me on the couch in the living room. I glared at him.

"You got suspended? Gosh, Kel, for how long?" Mom asked.

"A week and a half." I told her proudly.

"A week and a half." Mom echoed, "What did you do?"

"I hit a girl." I answered.

"Why? Why do you always have to go hitting people?" Mom asked.

"Because they always piss me off. You know I get pissed off too easily." I told her.

"Anger management classes." Mom said, "You should be sent to anger management classes."

"I don't need those." I said, "Ask AJ. I am a very sweet person if you don't piss me off." I said.

"Which is how often?" Mom asked.

I smiled. "Almost never." I answered.

"Exactly." Mom said, "So...guess what?"

"The neighbor got arrested?" I guessed.

"Well, yeah, but that's not it." Mom said, "I got a date."

"A date?" I asked, "With who?"

"Just this guy who came to the casino." Mom answered.

I looked at AJ, whose eyes were glued to the TV. "You met a guy in the casino? How do you know he was sober?" I asked Mom.

"He wouldn't drink. Recovering alcoholic he says." Mom told me, "I'm going to dinner with him tonight."

"Tonight? Wow, that's soon." I said.

"He asked me a few days ago." Mom said, "I called you last night, but AJ told me that you were asleep."

Wow. A date. My mom had a date. I guess now that I was gone she had time to do crap like that. I mean, sure, she would date once in a while, but she didn't have a lot of time.

"Kelly, Kel, are you still there?" Mom asked.

"Oh, yeah. I am." I answered, "So what's this guys name?"

"Jonathan..." Mom answered dreamily.

I laughed, "Mom, you sound like you're in high school." I told her.

"I feel like I am." Mom told me and we both started to giggle.

AJ looked at me and raised his eyebrows. "You're freaks. Both of you." He said, loud enough for Mom to hear.

"Tell your dad that I got a date. I want him to know." Mom said, "Tell me if he gets jealous."

"Okay." I agreed. I looked at AJ and said, "My mom has a date with the best person in the whole world ever. He's rich, and polite, and handsome, and has no tattoos or piercings."

"That she knows of." AJ muttered, "That don't seem like the type of person that your mom would date."

I laughed. "Are you jealous? Cuz my mom has a new man?" I asked.

"No." AJ answered quickly, "Just let her know that I also have a date with an OLDER WOMAN!"

"AJ has a date?" Mom asked.

"Yeah. He has to go out with her so that she doesn't sue him." I told her.

"Why would she sue him?" Mom asked.

"Because I broke her kids nose. I thought I told you about that..." I said confused.

"You broke her nose? I thought you just hit her! Slapped her or something!" Mom exclaimed.

Oops. "Uh, no. Broke her nose. Her mom would have sued if AJ hadn't agreed to go out with her instead." I said.

Mom sighed. "Kelly Kelly Kelly...what am I going to do with you?" She asked.

"Oh, you don't have to do anything. It's all up to AJ now. You had your chance." I said.

"Yes I did." Mom said slowly, "So, is your dad enjoying having you with him?"

"I don't know. Maybe." I said, "I mean, he does get to see me again after eleven years."

"Yeah. He must like that." Mom said.

"Especially since you just took me right out from under his nose. He musta been shocked bout that, huh?" I asked.

"What?" Mom asked.

"You know, since you took me when I was little without telling AJ? I wonder how he reacted..." I said.

"Kelly, I didn't take you. Your dad did." Mom said.

I looked at AJ who was listening to my end of the conversation with interest. "Didn't she take me away, Dad? Didn't she?"

"Yeah. While I was out with the guys one day." AJ told me.

"While he was out with the guys." I repeated, "That is just evil, Mom."

"Kelly," Mom said.

"Why'd you do it?" I asked, "Did you not like AJ?"

"Of course I liked AJ. I loved him. I was just...confused ya know? He proposed and I said no so we grew farther apart, and we were living together so it was even weirder. Then I just couldn't take it anymore so I left. And brought you with me." Mom explained to me.

"He proposed to you?" I asked.

AJ nodded. Then Mom said, "Yeah, but I refused. I was too young and I thought he just wanted to marry me because of you."

"Well so what?" I asked, "So he wanted to marry you? At least he was willing to try and make things work."

"God, Kelly. I don't want to talk about this!" Mom said.

"Well I do, Mom!" I told her, "I need some answers here! Is the only reason you left because you didn't want to marry him?"

"No... " Mom said slowly.

"Then why?!" I demanded.

"I was jealous, okay? I was jealous!" Mom told me.

"Of what? Why the hell would you be jealous?" I asked her.

When I glanced over at AJ, he was looking at me like he knew exactly why she would be jealous.

"Because even when you were little you were closer to your dad then you were with me. After you learned to talk, you would only ask for him!" Mom said.

I laughed. What a stupid reason! I was a baby! That made no sense! "Mom, I was little! I couldn't help what I said!"

"You'd cry whenever I held you." Mom told me.

"So? I didn't like you holding me. Big freaking deal." I said.

"Kelly," AJ whispered to me, "Just tell her you have to go."

"Kel, I'm sorry. I know it was horrible of me to keep you from your dad from so long, but I did give him the chance to see you." Mom told me.

"Well you wouldn't have had to if you hadn't taken me from him." I said, "Now I have to go. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay. Bye, I love you." Mom said.

"Love you too." I mumbled, "Bye."

I hung up the phone and leaned back in the couch, crossing my arms.

"So...you got some answers tonight now didn't you?" AJ asked.

"Yeah. And I'm mad at her now." I told him.

"I know you are, but you really shouldn't be." AJ told me, "She just wanted to be closer to you."

I shrugged. "It's just moronic that she thinks she can just take me away." I said.

"It is." AJ agreed, "And the reason is stupid, too."

"Then why shouldn't I be mad?" I asked.

AJ shrugged. "Because everyone has their reasons to do stupid shit. Even your mom."
26 by Ashleigh
"Move your feet." I demanded AJ as I mopped the kitchen floor.

Yes, he was honestly making me do it. Making me clean his house. I had started in the dining room, and was now working in the kitchen. AJ just sat there and watched me as he ate a bowl of cereal. I knew that he was enjoying himself. Bastard.

AJ lifted his feet and I quickly mopped under them, not bothering to do a good job.

"You're missing spots." He told me, putting his feet back down.

"Clean em yourself." I said.

"But this is YOUR punishment." AJ said.

"You didn't say that I had to do a good job." I informed him.

"Okay..." AJ cleared his throat and said, "Because you, Kelly, got suspended from school I am hereby making you do a good, no, wait, great job in cleaning my home as your punishment."

I sighed. "But Daddy... " I said, trying the sweet, sucking up approach, "Can't you just let it slide?"

"Hmm...no." AJ said.

I pouted. "Please? I'm tired and have no energy to be cleaning your house with." I told him.

"You shouldn't have stayed up so late last night." Was what AJ told me.

"But it was reruns of MadTV! I HAD to watch it!" I argued, "Besides, you stayed up all night and watched it too."

"Yeah, but I'm so good that I can wake up really early after staying up into the ungodly hours of the night." He told me.

"Ah, yes. One of your great gifts." I said with an eye roll.

The phone rang and AJ walked over to it while he said, "I am unbelievably talented. One of the things you will find out is that I never cease to amaze one."

"Oh, I'm sure." I said sarcastically.

AJ picked up the phone. "Hello?" He answered, "Oh, hey Nick....I guess. When?...Okay...All of them? Damn....Here or there?"

Well this end of the conversation kind of sucks. Then he said damn and it got exciting. Now it's boring once more.

"Okay, well it'll keep her busy." AJ said, "Okay...Kay, see ya later...bye." AJ hung up the phone and turned to look at me.

"What?" I asked suspiciously. What was he trying to get me into this time?

"Do you baby-sit?" He asked.

I sighed. "Yeah." I answered. But I really didn't want to.

"Good, cuz have I got a job for you." He told me with a smile.

"How many, how long?" I asked.

"Four kids, one Nick's and three Brian's, until about 10 tonight." AJ answered.

Jesus, Brian has three kids? When did that ever happen? "Okay..." I agreed. I have baby-sat for more than that before. "What time?"

"Nick and Brian will drop them off here at around three." AJ said.

"Okay." I said, "You are going to help me, right?"

"Why not." AJ said with a shrug, "Nothing better to do until tomorrow."

"Good, you'll help me here and I'll help you get ready for your date tomorrow with the almost forty year old divorcee!" I said with mock excitement, "Oh what fun this will be!"
27 by Ashleigh
"Denver, don't touch that! Chelsea, quit hitting your brother! James, no! AJ!!!!!!" I yelled.

None of the kids listened to me. I was standing in the middle of the living room, holding Brian's youngest son, Robby, as I tried to calm down the other kids. AJ was upstairs on the phone COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that I was downstairs alone with four wild children.

"What?!" He called back annoyed.

"Get down here and help me!" I sounded like a mother. Not a good tone of voice for me.

"I'm on the phone!" He yelled.

"I don't give a-" I stopped myself in time. I couldn't curse in front of these kids. Instead I yelled, "I don't care! You agreed to help me so you'd better get down here and change this friggin baby's diaper cuz God knows I'm not gonna!"

"Stop YELLING!" Chelsea, who was two screamed.

I sighed heavily and sat down on the couch with Robby, who was crying. As Chelsea sat on the floor with her eyes closed, covering her ears with her hands and screaming. James, the four year old, tried to wrestle with Denver. But I wasn't going to stop them. Oh no. I was going to wait until AJ got down here.

I sat like this for a few minutes until AJ came running down the stairs. "What's going on?" He asked, looking at all the mayhem going on around him. As he walked over to Denver and James he asked me, "Why aren't you dealing with this?"

"I have only enough energy for one kid at this time." I told him as I watched him pull James off of Denver.

AJ first dealt with James and Denver. "James, go to the corner. You have a time-out for five minutes, okay?"

"But," James whined, "I don't wanna!"

"I don't care if you want to. Go." AJ ordered. He looked at Denver and said, "And you go sit down and watch TV."

Denver ran happily to the couch and crawled up next to me. He was obviously happy that James was off of him. I watched as AJ then went over to Chelsea.

He kneeled down next to her. "What's the matter, sweetie?" He asked her, putting his hand on her shoulder to get her attention.

Chelsea stopped screaming and looked up at him, uncovering her ears. "Too loud." She told him, pointing to Robby.

"It's okay now, baby." He said. He left her on the floor as he got up. He walked over to me and took Robby from me. "Are you afraid to change a diaper?" He asked me.

I nodded. "I don't change diapers." I told him, "What if it pees in my mouth?"

AJ rolled his eyes. "That's only on TV." He said, "Now watch them, okay? Don't let James leave the corner till I come back."

I nodded and shrugged my shoulders. At least I didn't have to change the diaper. AJ walked towards the downstairs bathroom. I looked at Chelsea who was now turned around and also watching TV. Denver was also, but was sitting next to me. He was so cute! James was facing the corner with his arms crossed, looking down. I could tell that this kid would be trouble later on, just like Jared. It's probably how they all start off...

"Can I play now?" James asked, turning to look at me.

I shook my head. "Not yet. Not until AJ says you can." I told him.

"But AJ is not my baby-sitter. You are." He reminded me.

I nodded. "But AJ is my dad, thus meaning he has control over everything in this household and if we disobey his rules we will all be penalized for it and nobody wants that now do we?" I questioned.

"Huh?"

I sighed. Juveniles. I stated it more simply for him. "If you don't listen to him you get in trouble."

"Oh...but he's not my daddy! He can't tell me what to do!" James argued.

"But he can tell your daddy and you'll get in trouble." I reminded him.

James gave up and turned back to the wall. This kid doesn't know how to keep up! I could have argued for hours on this subject! Except of course, AJ came out of the bathroom holding Robby.

"Okay, he's all clean now." He told me, "Right, Robby? You're all clean!"

Robby giggled. He seemed to like AJ. How is it that AJ is so good with kids?

Oh. That's right. Me. My bad. Forgot.

"Okay, James. Your time-out is all done. You can come out of the corner now." AJ told him.

"Are you gonna tell my daddy?" James wanted to know first.

"Not if you promise not to do anything like that again." AJ told him.

"I promise." James said with a smile as he ran out of the corner and back to his toys.

AJ looked at me. He probably knew as much as I did that that was a total lie. James would probably get in trouble later that day after his dad comes to pick him up.

"We've got to get Robby and Chelsea to sleep." AJ told me. It was only 8:00, but those were Brian's orders. James didn't have to go to sleep until 8:30, and neither did Denver.

Chelsea overheard. "Now?" She whined.

AJ nodded. "Yup, so come on. I'll read you a story." He told her.

"Any story?" Chelsea asked.

"Any one you want." He told her.

Chelsea jumped up and down happily. She went over to AJ who took her hand.

"This'll take a while. By the time I get done, it'll be time to put Denver and James to sleep." He told me as he walked out of the living room, holding Robby in one arm, and holding Chelsea's hand with the other.

I shook my head. AJ was too damn good with kids. How often did he watch them? Jesus, he must not have a life or something.

As I watched TV with the other two, they began to fall asleep. James head kept bobbing up and down, until he finally laid down on the floor and closed his eyes. Denver fell asleep on my arm. With his mouth open. I hope he doesn't start to drool. Eeew...

At around 8:20, they had both fallen asleep. AJ was still with Chelsea, probably still reading to her. I picked up Denver and walked to the room they would all be sleeping in. Sure enough AJ was sitting on the edge of Chelsea's bed reading some babyish book. AJ looked up from the book for a moment and saw me with Denver. He pointed to the bed next to the one Chelsea was in.

"Read." Chelsea demanded, pointing to the book.

AJ smiled at her and went back to reading from the book. I left the room to go get James. AJ should be happy that he doesn't have to read to any more kids.

James was curled up in a ball still when I went to go get him. I picked him up and he opened his eyes slightly.

"Jay..." He muttered, looking past me.

I turned my head and saw AJ standing there. "Let me take him." He said.

He walked over to me and took James. I could have carried him...He's not THAT big. Hmph. He thinks I'm weak. Well I'll show him. Or not. I'm fine with it either way.

I followed AJ upstairs and to the room all the ickle kiddykins {AN: Don't ask... } were sleeping in. I stood in the doorway as AJ put James down next to Chelsea. Since they are brother and sister ya know.

"Night, Jay." James said to him as he walked to the door.

AJ turned around. "Goodnight, James." He said.

After he turned off the light and closed the door halfway, I said, "Now I gotta go downstairs and watch MTV."

AJ followed me down the stairs and asked, "MTV? Since when do you watch MTV?"

"Since always. All Things Rock is on." I told him, "It's the only thing I watch on MTV. Besides Cribs."

"I was on that." AJ told me proudly.

"I know. I sat. I watched. I left halfway through." I said.

I knew AJ was probably rolling his eyes or shaking his head behind me. I have a gift, I know. A gift to frustrate, annoy, and sometimes piss the hell outta people. Actually, more like always piss the hell outta people.

When I got to the living room, I flopped onto the couch and changed the channel from Nickelodeon to MTV. All Things Rock was halfway over. Damn kids. Making me watch Rugrats.

AJ sat in a different chair and watched also. He didn't say anything. "I take it you don't like this kind of music." I said between videos.

AJ shrugged. "I like it. I could honestly care less."

I smiled. "Yeah right," I said, "You're just watching this because I'm making you, huh?"

"No, of course not! I could change the channel at any time. I do have more power in this house than you do." I said.

"Yeah sure, Mr. Bigshot. You're the almighty ruler. What?"

"Huh?"

"Nothing."

"You said what."

"Jeez...Get off the drugs." I said slowly.

I laughed to myself as AJ turned back to the TV, confused. I love doing that to people. I'm not evil. What? Gotcha...

**************

AJ tried to steal the remote control away from me when All Things Rock was over. I smacked him upside the head. But it didn't work. He's downstairs watching God knows what and I'm sitting in my room listening to the radio. I found a decent station at least.

When it was almost 10:00, I went back downstairs. It was almost time for Brian and Nick to come by and pick up their kids. Who, I might add, have not cried or anything once since AJ and I had laid them down to sleep. Thank God for that...

"So, Nick and Brian should be here soon." AJ said when I went back into the living room.

I nodded and sat down next to him. "How the hell does Brian put up with three kids?" I asked him.

AJ laughed and shook his head. "I have no idea. They're crazy, huh?"

"Well that James is." I said.

"James is cool." AJ told me, "He does share part of my name."

"Oh and that makes him so incredibly awesome." I said.

"That it does, that it does." AJ said.

We sat silently as AJ looked through some magazine and I watched the movie that was on. Hardball. I first saw this movie when I was younger and thought it was awesome. I've seen it about a thousand times since then.

The doorbell rang at 10:10. AJ and I both stood up lazily and I followed him to the door. He opened it and Brian was standing there with Leighanne and Nick was with his girlfriend, Toni. {AN: There ya go, girl!}

"Hey, sorry we're late." Leighanne said.

AJ shrugged. "Don't worry about it." He said.

Don't worry about it? DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT?! You?re 10 goddamn minutes late! You owe us! ...I'm just kidding! I'm not THAT cold.

AJ let them inside. "So were they all good?" Toni asked.

I figured I should answer that one since AJ wasn't there half of the time. "Yeah, they were all good. They're upstairs sleeping now." I told them.

That's when Robert's cries rang through the house. Brian sighed. "I'll go get him." He said.

"I'll help you." Leighanne said and followed him upstairs.

"We'll go get Denver." Nick said, "He's probably awake now."

I watched as Nick and Toni walked upstairs. "How much do I get paid for this?" I asked AJ.

"I don't know. But it better be a helluva lot." AJ said.

Precisely what I was thinking. And I'd like it all in cash please.

A few minutes later the four of them walked back downstairs with all the kids. Brian held Robert and Chelsea held onto his leg, making it hard for him to walk down the stairs. I couldn't help but laugh. Toni noticed and picked up Chelsea for him. Nick held Denver and Leighanne had a still soundly sleeping James in her arms.

When they got to the front door, Nick said, "Thanks a lot Kelly. We didn't think you'd watch them on such short notice."

"What can I say? I'm a sickeningly sweet child." I said.

I noticed Brian and Nick exchange glances. Like they knew something...

"Hey! I am." I argued.

"Never said you weren't." Nick said.

"Yeah yeah." I said, "And now..." I held out my hand expectantly.

"Kelly." AJ hissed.

I looked at him, my hand still extended. "What? I went through with my end of the deal. It's their turn."

Leighanne laughed. "No, she's right, AJ. We have to pay her." She turned to Brian. "Pay her, sweetie."

"Yeah, sweetie, pay me." I said. "That sounded so wrong." I added as an afterthought.

Brian reached into his back pocket for his wallet. He opened it and pulled out some bills, handing them to me. "I hope that's enough."

I counted the money. It was about 85 dollars. "Eh, it'll do." I said.

AJ poked me hard in the back. I jumped. "Ow!" I said, "Hello, that hurt! Jesus, such rage this man has."

"She's just like you, AJ." Toni said, "Well, from what I know about you."

"I am not anything like him. In any way shape or form. I'm too pretty." I said, "Well, goodnight everybody. Drive safely. Don't crash or anything like that."

"Night, Kelly." They all said together.

Note to self: Too much time spent with people = talking in unison. Scary.
28 by Ashleigh
A few nights later, the night of AJ's big date with Ashley, Lindsay's Mom, I sat upstairs in his room with him as he tried to find something to wear. I wasn't helping much. I was sitting on the floor leaning against the bed as he went through his closet throwing clothing out of it.

I picked up a red shirt he threw out and said, "You know, my moms friend has a shirt that looks EXACTLY like this. Weird isn't... Hey! This IS the shirt that she has!" I laughed, "You have woman's apparel!"

"Or she just has men's clothes." AJ told me, backing out of his closet with some clothes in his arms.

I shrugged. "True." I said, "But I doubt it. She's very girlie. Not exactly the type of person I could see shopping in the Men's Section."

AJ ignored me. "Okay, now I have narrowed down my selection to these last two outfits. Give me your opinion." He told me.

"Are you sure you want my opinion?" I asked.

AJ nodded.

"Okay... " I said with a sigh, "Shoot."

AJ held out his first selection. I cringed. A green shirt with these ugly ass black pants.

AJ saw my face. "You don't like it?" He asked.

I shook my head. "It's not you." I told him honestly.

AJ studied them again and said, "Yeah, you're right." He threw them to the side and held out his second selection: a brownish beigish color shirt and the same kind of pants except they're jeans but they got this color thing going on, but they're still all blue. Oh, and they're baggy thank God... {AN: Okay, you gotta know what I'm talking about... You don't? It's really hard to explain. Sorry!}

"That's good I guess." I told him.

"Okay, good." AJ said, "'I'll wear this then."

"Why you're trying to impress this woman, I'll never understand." I said to him.

"She's an older woman. I gotta impress her." AJ told me.

"Okay, I think you should draw the age limit line to about 35, kay? This woman looks OLD!" I reminded him.

"I know...but she could be my soul mate." AJ said.

"Now you're just freaking me out." I said.

"Good. Now leave so I can get changed. Gotta look good for my wedding day.......I mean, uh, date." AJ said with a smile.

I shook my head and left his room, closing the door behind me. He could be so stupid. And I hope he was just joking around about Ashley being his soul mate. That was just gross. Oh well, I thought with a sigh. At least he'll look good.
29 by Ashleigh
I sat in a chair bored out of my mind while Chris and Evan played pool. AJ left for his date about half an hour ago. He didn't seem all too excited about it.

"You sure you don't want to play, too, Kel?" Evan asked me.

I shook my head. "No. I hate pool." I told him.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I had to think of an excuse real fast." I answered him.

"So what DO you want to do?" Evan asked me.

"Sabotage AJ's date." I told him.

Chris dropped what he was doing right away and said, "Great, let's go. You know where they are? Oh well if you don't. We can find his car."

I laughed. Chris was up to anything. I looked at Evan who shrugged. "I guess... " He said.

"Yay!" I squealed happily, "Let's go."

Chris followed me out of AJ's house with Evan close behind him. "Okay," I said once we got outside, "Where'd ya park, Evan?"

"A little ways down the street." He told me.

I peered down the street, which was lit by the streetlamps on the side of the road. I spotted Evan's car and began to run towards it.

I heard Chris and Evan laugh at me. I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to face them. "Stop screwing around and hurry your asses to the car! We've got a date to ruin here!" I yelled at them.

Chris and Evan hurried their paces and caught up with me when I was at Evan's car.

"Okay, you sit in the back." Evan told me, unlocking the backseat, "Me and Chris'll sit up front."

I rolled my eyes and opened the door. "God, am I not worthy of a seat up front?" I questioned.

Evan and Chris looked at each other. "Nope." They answered together and both got inside the car.

As soon as Evan's door was closed, we were off. I realized that Evan was a much more cautious driver than AJ was. And he was only seventeen for Christ sake!

"So where are they?" Evan asked me once we'd gotten downtown.

"I dunno. Some French restaurant." I told him.

"Some French restaurant." Chris echoed, "There are about a million of those around here."

"Well... it has a 'Che' in it." I remembered.

"Well that narrows it down a lot." Evan muttered.

"Hey, shut your face." I said, leaning over so I was more into the front seat.

"You know, I don't have to help you ruin this date. I offered-"

"You didn't offer shit. This was all my-"

"It's my damn-"

"It's not your damn anything!"

"Hey!" Chris yelled, "Stop it. Jesus. You fight like your brother and sister or something."

"I'm an only child." I told him.

"I've already got a sister." Evan said, "And a damn evil one at that."

"Okay, look, we'll just look around the parking lots of a few and find your dad's car. Simple." Chris suggested.

"Why are you so into this? I didn't think either of you would want to do this with me." I said.

Chris shrugged. "We've been sorely lacking entertainment the past few days. We gotsta do somethin."

************

We must have looked around five parking lots before we found AJ's car in one of em. I didn't even bother to look at the name of the restaurant. Chris, Evan, and I just walked in as nonchalantly as we could. We didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to ourselves.

But it was kind of hard. Here we were, three teenagers walking into a fancy place like this wearing our "casual" clothes. And one person had blue damn hair! That's got to draw some attention.

"So are we going to get a table?" Chris whispered to me.

I nodded. I stood on my tiptoes and looked around the restaurant for AJ and Ashley. I finally spotted them on the other side. If we could just get there without making any noise...

"How can I help you?" A man with a heavy French accent asked.

Evan took this one. "Table for three, please." He asked in his most adult tone.

The man studied each of us up and down before saying, quite rudely if you ask me, "I'm sorry. But we only take reservations here."

"Oh, well could you make an exception here?" Chris asked.

"No." He said simply, "Besides," He stuck up his nose, "No casual clothing allowed here."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine." I said angrily, "Come on guys. We'll find somewhere else to dine. Somewhere better."

Chris, Evan, and I stormed out. We solicited outside for a few minutes before I asked, "What now?"

"We sneak in through the back door." Evan said triumphantly.

"What if we get caught?" I asked, "I mean, the back door leads to the kitchen, doesn't it?"

"Eh, oh well. We get caught, we get kicked out. We don't get caught... well, we'll get kicked out eventually. Why not take the chance and sneak in?" Evan asked.

"You're right." Chris said, "Let's go. Come on Kelly."

"I'm in. Anything to rid me of the burden that I may have an old woman as my new step mom and a prep as my step sister." I said.

Evan and Chris rolled their eyes. I'd told them the story of how I thought AJ might marry this woman. The told me I was crazy. No point in arguing that...

We walked around the restaurant to the back, being careful not to be seen by any passerby's. We got around to where the back door was and I saw someone outside dumping some trash. I held my hand out signaling Evan and Chris to stop. A few minutes later the guy walked back inside. I told them the coast was clear and we walked to the door.

Chris opened it slowly, slowly. Inside the kitchen it was bright and chefs, waiters, and busboys were bustling around. I hoped that we could get by. I doubted we would, though.

We stood hiding behind a wall. Evan handed us the apron things that all the waiters wore that were hanging there. "Okay, I'll go first," Evan told us, "If I don't get caught then Kelly will go. Then you'll go, Chris, okay? We'll meet at the bathrooms."

Chris and I both nodded. Ooh. It sounded like we were devising a plan to commit a heinous crime or something. Cool.

Evan went off. Chris and I both watched as he walked through, keeping his head low. The apron really did seem to work because no one noticed him. He got through.

"Okay, my turn." I told Chris, "This will be fun."

Chris smiled at me and I left. I took a different route than Evan did. I tried to make myself look taller. They would give me funny looks if I looked really short.

Someone stopped me. "Hey!" He said.

I sucked in my breath. Oh no! Caught! I looked up and saw a chef looking at me. "Yeah?" I asked shakily.

"What was it that table 7 wanted?" He asked me.

I let out a sigh of relief. I thought vigorously for a second before saying, "Uh, escargot and frogs legs." It was the first French food crap that came to my head, "Uh yeah, that's it."

"Are you sure?" The chef asked me.

I nodded. "Positive. They said they wanted to taste authentic French food." I told him.

"Okay... " He said slowly before going back to whatever he was making.

I jogged through the rest of the kitchen. I didn't want to be stopped again. How embarrassing! And I feel for the people at table 7...

When I got out of the kitchen, these people at one table called to me. "Over here! Can I get some more water?"

I ditched the apron and said, "I'm on a break." Great, now they were going to go after Chris when he came out.

I saw the sign for the restroom on the other side of the restaurant. I began to walk through but stopped abruptly when I saw that I would have to pass by AJ's table if I kept going the way I was. I looked around and tried to find another route. I didn't see one. Chris came up behind me.

"What are you doing?" He asked me.

I shushed him and pushed him behind a large plant. I hid there with him. If only we were to make out...

"We have to pass AJ's table if we want to get to the bathrooms." I whispered to him.

"Is there any other way to go?" Chris asked me.

I shook my head. "That's the only way."

Chris and I stood and wondered what to do for a few minutes until...

"Hey you kids! Get over here!"

We looked behind us and saw a chef, waiter, and the guy who refused to let us in coming at us.

"Come on!" Chris said. He took my hand and we ran through the restaurant. We weaved through tables and dodged waiters and busboys. I silently prayed when we got closer to AJ's table that he wouldn't recognize me.

Well it didn't work. "Kelly?" AJ asked when I passed by him.

Chris and I didn't stop. I turned my head for a second and said, "Hey AJ!" I almost collided with someone. I didn't get a good look at him or her. I just ran right by.

We got to the other end. There was nowhere else to run. And now not only were the first three people coming towards us, but so were AJ and the people we'd almost run over.

And boy were they angry.

Evan walked to us and asked what was going on. I pointed to everyone. His eyes got wide. "What are we gonna do?" He hissed at me.

I looked around. What were we going to do? I couldn't get in more trouble. I was already grounded AND suspended. Now was I going to get in trouble with the whole damn restaurant? I did the only thing I could think of to get me out of this:

Fainted.
30 by Ashleigh
Well, not for real. I just faked it. But what else was I supposed to do? I couldn't just stand there and get yelled at! I had to take action.

"Kelly, are you okay?" I heard AJ ask me.

I wanted to open my eyes and see what everyone was doing. The entire place was silent except for AJ's voice.

"You scared the shit outta her and now she's gone and passed out!" Evan said.

I tried not to laugh. Or even smile. But it was hard. I felt my lips start to twitch. No no NO! I can NOT ruin this.

"Okay, Kel, get up. I know you're just faking." AJ told me.

Damn. My eyes fluttered open. I tried to play it off. "Wha-Where am I? What happened?" I asked, looking around. AJ was sitting next to me. "Who are you?" I asked him.

AJ rolled his eyes. "Get up." He demanded.

I sat up and crossed my arms. "If he had just let me in," I pointed to the rude French man, "None of this would have happened."

"No... if YOU hadn't have come here then none of this would have happened." AJ said.

I glared at him. "If I hadn't had come then you would have had to stay with that woman all night." I said, "Face it, I saved you."

"Right... Sure you did." AJ said, "It was all going fine until you came."

"See, it was going 'fine'. It was just a matter of time until she would attack you." I told him.

Where the hell was all of this coming from?

"What are you talking about?" AJ asked exasperated.

"She would have seduced you, you'd date more, get married, and that freaking Lindsay girl would have to be my step sister." I yelled.

"What the hell? She's 40 friggin years old!" AJ told me.

"39." Ashley spoke up.

"Shut up." AJ and I said together.

Ashley huffed. "I should have never gone out with you, Alex. You're too young." She said.

"And you're too old." AJ told her.

"Fine! I'm leaving. And YOU'RE paying for this." Ashley said.

"Yeah," AJ waved her off, "Pay for it, sure."

He didn't even watch as she left. He stood up and pulled me up with him. "You're calling your mom." He told me as we walked towards the exit, "Since I can't seem to straighten you out, maybe she can." He turned to Evan and Chris. "And you two actually went along with this... You're supposed to be older and set a damn example for her."

"She talked us into it." Evan said.

"Hey! Thanks a lot." I said.

"Well it's true." He told me.

AJ continued. "I don't think I trusted you two too much from the beginning, but now I don't trust you at all." He said, "I don't think that you should hang around my daughter anymore. You or those other two guys."

"But that's not fair!" I complained.

"I don't give a shit about what's fair, Kelly." AJ said sternly.

"Yeah, you never have." I muttered.

I could tell AJ had heard me. I could also tell that he was trying to hold in his anger. So I wouldn't get in any more trouble, I went into the corner with Evan and Chris as he paid.

"This sucks." I told them.

"Yeah." Chris said as Evan just nodded in agreement.

"God, first I get pulled away from my home and my best friend, now I'm practically being forbidden to socialize with anyone that I can even tolerate. God, next he's going to make me be friends with Lindsay or something!" I said angrily.

"No he won't." Chris told me, "Just wait a few weeks and he'll give in again."

"Yeah, I mean if he doesn't we'll kidnap you or something. We find you very interesting and we don't think we'd be quite as amused if we didn't have anyone else to hang out with." Evan said.

I smiled. "Damn fuckers who shut down the skate park, huh?" I said.

Evan nodded.

"Kelly, come on. We're leaving." AJ said coming up next to me.

"Bye guys... " I said sadly to Evan and Chris.

"Bye, Kel." Evan said.

"I'll call you tomorrow or something." Chris said.

I nodded and followed AJ out of the restaurant. After we'd gotten out side the doors, I blew up at him.

"How the hell can you just take me away from everything? You want me to be completely miserable here don't you?" I asked, "You just want my life to be a living hell don't you? Don't you, don't you, DON'T YOU?!"

"Kelly!" AJ yelled, turning to face me, "Can you just shut you freaking mouth for a few minutes?"

Only he didn't say freaking. Potty mouth...

"No, I can't, AJ. You should know that about me by now. But you obviously know nothing about me." I said.

"I know you're near damn impossible." He muttered, continuing to his car.

"I'm not 'near' impossible. See, you don't even know THAT about me!" I exclaimed.

"Okay, so I don't know anything about you. But maybe I would if you'd just talk to me for a few minutes instead of plotting a way to get yourself in trouble with your boyfriends all of the time." AJ said to me, unlocking his car.

I got inside. Once AJ opened his own door I said, "I don't have boyfriends. And I don't spend my precious time plotting ways to get myself in trouble. Trouble follows me, I don't go after it."

"Could have fooled me." AJ said.

"I'm telling you the truth, AJ. Contrary to what you may think, I don't always lie." I said, "God, you can be so hostile."

"I'm hostile? I'M hostile? YOU'RE hostile!" AJ yelled.

"Do you even know what hostile means?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I do. It means aggressive, vicious, unfriendly. Like you." AJ said, "UNLIKE you, I went to school."

I rolled my eyes. "You probably never spent any time in class. You?d just go in the janitors closet with girls and knock em up. That?s prolly how I was conceived." I muttered under my breath.

AJ laughed angrily again. Like my mom always did with me. I hated that kind of laugh. "You need to learn some manners, Kelly. You can't just ruin a date and then expect me to be nice to you." He told me, "I've been way too lenient with you lately. But all that is about to change. Ashley and I had a little talk and she told me the kind of stuff I should be doing with you. And she had some fucking good ideas."

"You're going to take parenting tips from a woman who has a daughter who's a CHEERLEADER?" I asked.

"You're mom was a cheerleader." AJ told me, trying to change my opinion on them.

Wasn't gonna work.

"And look where THAT got her!" I said.

"That's not the point!" AJ yelled, "The point is, I'm not always going to be so nice to you anymore. I'm not going to take any shit from you, let you talk back to me, or let you get away with anything. And your sweet talking isn't going to get you anywhere. I don't know how you're mother raised you, but you better believe that I'm going to change you."

Oh, Jared!!!!
31 by Ashleigh
Doors were slamming everywhere that night when we got back home. AJ slammed his car door, I slammed mine, after I got inside, I slammed the front door. Then I ran up to my room and slammed the door. I heard AJ slam the sliding glass door closed after he walked outside to his backyard. So yeah, lots of slamming.

I was pissed. AJ was the biggest jerk in the world and the worst parent ever. I hated him, I hated staying with him... I hate everything at the time. All I wanna do is go home.

It was only 8:30 so I was still pretty wide awake. Since I had my phone privileges taken away and I had no friends, I had to find other ways to entertain myself. I walked to my window that faced towards the backyard. I saw AJ sitting in a chair, smoking. I opened my window wide and stuck my head out. What to do, what to do...

I did what me and Jared do whenever we're walking around Vegas and we go on those ramps that go above the sidewalk and there are people walking under us. I spit. But shit, it didn't hit him. It didn't go anywhere close to him.

I sighed and did the next best thing. I went downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed a cup. I went back upstairs and to the bathroom and filled the cup up with water. I just hoped AJ was still outside.

He was. And he would be for a while because he was lighting another cigarette. Does he not know that it will kill him? Oh well, I'll put it out for him.

I stuck my arm with the cup in my hand out the window and positioned it so it was just above his head. Then I tipped it and watched as the water spilled out onto his head. I smiled to myself.

He looked up and saw me. "Kelly!" He yelled.

"Whoops." I said, just loud enough for him to hear. Not knowing what to do with the cup, I dropped it out the window also. AJ dodged it. What? It's plastic! I saw him walking briskly back inside.

I closed my window and fell back onto my bed, bracing myself for the lecture that was to come. I didn't even bother to close my bedroom door. What was the point? He'd get in eventually anyway.

I heard AJ's footsteps coming up the stairs and yawned. He didn't scare me at all. Why should he? All he is is a pretty boy BSB.

"Kelly, what the hell was that about?" AJ demanded when he appeared in my doorway. He wasn't even that wet. Just his hair...

I shrugged. "I thought you were a plant." I said.

"Don't lie to me, girl." AJ said angrily.

"I love you." I said, "Whoops. I lied again." I hit my hand, "Bad girl."

"You know, you're pissing me off more than usual." AJ told me.

That made me laugh bitterly. "I'm pissing you off more than usual," I echoed, "Hmm... do you really think that I care?"

"No, of course not." AJ said, "You don't care about anything. You don't care about anything but yourself!" He left my room.

"Hey, at least that's something you selfish bastard!" I yelled after him.

Wait, hey, I'M the bastard. Damn. In reality you know. Cuz... yeah.

I wanted to talk to my mom. She could help me out with this. She could tell AJ to go easier on me. I ignored the fact that I was grounded from my phone and slammed the door closed. I picked up the phone and laid down on my bed. I dialed my moms number. The phone rang almost five times before my mom answered breathlessly. "Yeah?" She asked.

"Mom... " I said, "What are you doing?"

"Um, nothing, sweetie. What's up?" Mom asked.

"I wanna go home." I told her quietly.

"What's wrong?" Mom asked me, "Did something-"

A voice in the background cut Mom of. It was a males voice and he said loudly and gruffly, "Get back over here, woman!"

"Hang on!" My mom hissed. I could tell that she had put one hand over the receiver.

"Mom, who's that?" I asked.

"Oh, no one. Just... no one, babe. Now what was it that you wanted?" Mom asked.

I began to tell my mom about what AJ was doing, but she seemed to only be half listening. She added in a lot of "Mm hmm." and "Yeah."

I heard the voice a few more times and he seemed to be very demanding. It took me a few moments, but I finally realized who it was. "Mom!" I exclaimed suddenly, "Is that that Jonathan guy you said you had a date with a few days ago?" I asked.

"Sweetie, can you hang on a second?" Mom asked. I heard her cover the receiver and I had to strain my ears to hear what they were saying, "John, she knows it's you."

I let out a loud sob. How gross! I called my mom right in the middle of-EEW! I hung up the phone. Nothing was going right now. Not even my mom could help me because she was too busy with some recovering alcoholic. Life sucks sucks sucks!
32 by Ashleigh
I cried into my pillow for a few hours. Mom kept trying to call back and AJ kept answering the phone. When he'd come to my door I'd holler for him to go away and that I didn't want to talk to my mother.

I changed my clothes and got back into my bed. I was still crying, but I tried to sleep. I kept my lights on because I was too lazy to go and turn them off. A few minutes later AJ knocked on my door. I didn't answer him, but I buried my head into my pillow more. AJ opened my door and walked into my room. I didn't look up at him or say anything.

AJ sat on my bed and moved the hair out of my face. He kissed my forehead and I just about slapped him in the face. "Don't touch me!" I wanted to scream. But I didn't. I had to hold myself back a LOT, though.

After he turned off my light and left my room, I opened my eyes again. I sat up in bed and wiped my eyes. Why the hell was I even crying in the first place? Just because my mom is a bitch who would rather screw some guy than find a job so that I can go home? No way! I don't cry over shit like that! I don't cry at all!

I sat in the darkness and thought about a lot of stuff. Nothing in particular, really. Stupid shit mostly. Like why it gets dark and stuff like that. Anything to get my mind off all the crap that happened that day.

Did AJ really have a right to get so mad at me like that? Yes, of course he did. I screwed up his date and got myself in a lot of trouble. But did I have a right to get so mad at him? No. He hasn't done anything to me, but he's done everything for me. I feel bad now...

How am I supposed to sleep knowing that I'm the biggest screw up in the world?


************

I did fall asleep eventually, but it was a restless one. I woke up the next afternoon as tired as I was when I fell asleep. For a few moments I felt like everything was fine and that nothing was going wrong. But then I remembered what had happened and I got all depressed again.

I did my usual morning routine. Shower, dress, etc. And then I put on my blue Vans and walked downstairs. I hoped AJ was gone or something so I could just get out of the house without being questioned.

But he was home. Of course. He was sitting in his den or whatever you wanna call it looking over some crap. I tried to walk by without getting talked to by him, but he looked up when I passed by.

"Hey, where are you going?" He asked me.

"Out somewhere." I muttered.

He got up and walked over to me. "No, you're grounded. You're not going anywhere." He said.

I sighed. "Please? I have to get out. I can't stand it in here." I told him.

"No." He said firmly, "Why don't you come in here with me so we can talk?"

I dragged my feet as I followed him into the den. "Why do we have to talk?" I asked.

"Because I'm worried about you." He told me, "You're mom told me what happened between you two last night and I felt bad. I just wanna make sure you're okay."

"I'm not bleeding or anything." I told him.

"I can see that." AJ said, "But I want to make sure you're okay, you know... emotionally. I feel bad about yesterday when I got all mad at you."

Am I okay emotionally? Hmm... "Never become a psychiatrist." I told him, "And of course I'm not okay. I have no life, no friends, nothing."

"You have me." AJ said.

"Are you trying to make me feel better? Cuz you're doing a really shitty job." I said.

"No, I'm serious. If you got your act together then maybe we could actually begin to enjoy each others company. We could be friends." AJ suggested.

"Or you could just stop forbidding me to see the people I actually LIKE." I said, "Then maybe it will keep me from having suicidal thoughts... "

"Wha... ... .Suicidal? You're gonna kill yourself?" AJ asked. If I am correct, and I frequently am, he sounded a trifle anxiety-ridden.

I shook my head. "Of course I'm not. There's too much agony involved." I said.

"Actually, there are ways to kill yourself with little pain at all." AJ said.

"Care to give me some ideas so you can rid yourself of the burden of caring for me?" I questioned. Let's see if he gives me some ideas...

"No. I refuse to help you in your mission to end your life. And don't even think about trying to cuz I might have to send you to a shrink." AJ said.

"Another one? I'm telling you it won't help me any! I tell them my problems, they write shit down, blah blah blah. I went to one until the fourth grade and I used to make up shit for them to help me with!" I told him.

"Okay... I never knew you went to one." AJ said.

"Let me add that to the list of things you have learned about me." I said.

1) I'm a bitch.

2) I have fake "suicidal thoughts".

3) I've been to a damn shrink.

HE KNOWS SO MUCH!
33 by Ashleigh
"OW!!! Shit!!" I screamed, "Mother fuckin' table!"

Yep, I had run into the table. It was already turning out to be a bad day and it was only 7:45. Not a great way to start out on the first day of school.

The week and a half had flown by. I was DREADING going back to school. Who knows what Lindsay told everyone. The whole school will probably be against me. And Ms. Johnson, Ashley, is my Algebra teacher... Life is good.

AJ walked into the living room where I was now sitting on the couch with my arms crossed. "What are you doing?" He asked me.

"Nothing. But your damn table got in my way." I told him. I rubbed my leg and said, "I think there might be permanent damage done."

AJ laughed. "You know," he said, "You are probably the most uncoordinated person I know."

"It's a gift in a curse." I told him.

"Yeah, well you'd better hurry up and get dressed. I'm taking you to school." AJ said.

"Why?" I asked. I thought I was going to take the bus...

"Because I don't need you getting in a fight with Lindsay at the bus stop." AJ told me.

Oh. Good point.

I limped upstairs. My leg really did hurt. I think that AJ needs to rearrange his furniture in a way in which I will not hurt myself anymore. I went into my room and quickly got dressed in the clothes I'd already picked out. This day I figured I had to make an impression on all the people at school. Whether it be good or bad.

I put on some shoes. I don't know which ones, I just put em on. Then I picked up my almost empty black backpack that Jared and I had "dressed up" the day before 7th grade. We got his brother to tag it and stuff, and then we'd wrote a bunch of mean shit on it. I hope I don't get shot...

I headed back downstairs and called, "I'm ready! Get your ass up and take me to the hell-bound educational institution!"

AJ walked out of the kitchen with his keys and asked, "And how is it hell-bound?"

"Cuz I'M going there!" I said.

"Right... " AJ said, "Just don't freak anybody out." He told me as we walked out of the front door.

"Does walking up to sixth graders and saying, 'Fear me, for I will destroy you' count as freaking people out?" I asked.

"They're sixth graders. Of course not." AJ said.

"Good... "
34 by Ashleigh
I scared four people before the first bell. Two sixth graders, a small eighth grade cheerleader, and someone's little sister. She came up to me and asked, "You don't like Tinker Bell?"

I told her, "I think Tinker Bell is reason that there all evil things in this world and she should have died in the friggin movie."

Then she ran away from me and I headed towards my first period class. American History. Whoo. People whispered to each other when they saw me. I realized that everyone at this damn school dress preppy. I looked like an outcast.

Awesome.

I ran into Evan in the hall while he was heading to his class. He was with a bunch of other idiot 16 and 17 year olds who can't pass the eighth grade. Glad to see he wasn't the only one. But a lot of them looked high. {Yes people, there are some 16 and 17 year olds in eighth grade. And they're pretty cool people as long as they don't try to sell you drugs... }

"Hey, Kel." He said when I passed by him.

I turned my head. "Yeah hi." I said quickly before speeding off down the hall. I would have stopped and talked to him if those other guys weren't with him. To tell you the truth, they kinda freaked me out.

***********

I got to my first class late. What a great way to get noticed. The only seat I could find was in the forth row, in front of a bunch of stuck up looking cheerleaders gossiping while they were in their uniforms. Lindsay was one of them. When she saw me, she whispered to the girl next to her who laughed and told the girl next to HER. The chain went this way until it reached the last person.

I sat down for only about a minute before the teacher said, "Kelly Conner. Please, stand up and tell something about yourself."

"I'd rather not." I muttered.

"Come on," She said, "Get up. Talk. Where are you transferring from? What are your interests?"

I got up slowly and said, "My name is Kelly. I came here from Nevada at the beginning of the summer. I wasn't here the first day of school cuz I hopped a plane with my friend Jared and flew off to Nevada again. And I wasn't here for the past week... and a half because I broke that bitch right there's," I pointed behind me at Lindsay, "nose. So yeah, that's me."

After I sat down again I glanced behind me and saw Lindsay and the rest of the pompom crew send me death glares. I smiled and faced forward again, pleased that I had successfully pissed off an entire group of girls in one sentence.

"O-kay... " The teacher said slowly, "Is there anything else you'd like to share with us?"

I shook my head. "Nothing any of you would be interested in." I said.

"Does anyone have any questions for Ms. Conner?" She asked the class.

Oh please God no.

A few hands went up. The teacher called on one person. "Carl?"

"Are you gay?" He asked.

A lot of people laughed and the teacher snapped, "Carl!"

I just rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I am. Tiffany's my bitch." I said sarcastically.

"I am not!" A girl with long black hair and green eyes exclaimed from the front row.

"Of course she's not gay, C." Another guy told Carl, "She's the chick who goes out with Chris."

"Chris Jackson?!" One of the ditzes squealed from behind me, "Her?"

Jackson... so THAT'S his last name? I never knew that.

I shrugged and tipped back in my chair as the class talked about this. Obviously Chris was very popular here.

"Why would Chris go out with her?" Lindsay asked, "Especially when he could have me?"

I looked back at her. "If you were the only other choice he had, then of course he would choose me you easy little slut." I growled.

The cheerleaders gasped and some of the guys went, "Oooooh! Burnt!" like the friggin idiots they are.

"That's enough you two." The teacher snapped, "Now does anyone have any meaningful questions for Kelly?"

Not one hand went up. Figures. You ask a bunch of eighth graders to ask anything meaningful, you're practically speaking a whole different language.

"Now, for extra credit in my class, who will show Kelly around the school today? I'm sure she'll appreciate it." The teacher said.

Yeah right. Me, appreciate anything? Get real.

A few people raised their hands. The teacher picked one of them. "Okay, Jamie. Meet her at lunch."

Jamie turned her head and smiled at me. I sent her a forced smile back. Great...
35 by Ashleigh
"So, how are you liking your first day here at La Mesa?" Jamie asked me when we started walking down the hall after class.

"I thought you weren't supposed to meet with me until lunch." I said.

"Oh, I know but I was thinking that I could show you to your next class... " Jamie said.

"I was just joking in there about Tiffany being my bitch. I mean, I'm straight. 100%." I said.

Jamie laughed. "So am I. I just thought I could get to know you. So we could be friends." She said.

That sort of took me by surprise. "Why would you want to be my friend?" I asked her.

"Because you seem cool. You're different. Everyone here are like clones of each other and it pisses me off. You're like a breath of fresh air to this school. What class do you have next?"

"Math with Ms. Johnson." I answered.

"Me too. Let's walk together."

"So I'm a breath of fresh air to the school? What about the guys like Evan Hillard?"

Jamie looked at me. "You know him?" She squeaked, "He's so freaking hot."

I laughed. "Yeah I know him. We're pretty cool. So you like him?" I asked.

Jamie nodded her head vigorously. "But please don't tell him. You're like the only person who knows."

I had a feeling that this Jamie didn't have a lot of friends. But that was okay. She was a weird one and everything, but I think I can get to know her. Hell, I've got to have someone to hang out with all year.

We got to Ms. Johnson's class on time. Good thing, too. She already hates me for distorting her daughters face. The last thing I need is for her to yell at me in front of the whole class about being late. Though it would be interesting...

"Ah, Kelly." She said when I got into her classroom, "I was wondering when I'd get you."

I took a seat in the back row with Jamie and said, "You get me right in the morning. You'd better come to school prepared with a bottle of Tylenol cuz you'll be facing a headache everyday for the next year."

Ms. Johnson sighed as the bell rang. She probably knew that I'd be giving her headaches. Damn bitch trying to lay my dad.

Jamie and I talked as she took roll, just like everyone else in the class was.

"You know her?" She asked, nodding towards Ms. Johnson.

"We've met." I said, "She went out on a date with my dad after I broke her daughters nose. My dad only went so she wouldn't sue us."

Jamie laughed. "Did they hit it off?" She asked.

"Hell no. Ms. Johnson is 10 years older than my dad." I told her.

"How old is your dad?" Jamie asked me.

I took my binder out of my backpack and said, "29."

"29... " Jamie said.

"Ms. Ryder, Ms. McLean," Ms. Johnson said, saying the wrong last name for me, "Class is in session. Please save your chitter chatter for after class."

I laughed. Chitter chatter. How gay. But I focused my attention on what Ms. Johnson was teaching.

It was all so old! Things that I'd learned in the 7th grade. I sat through the class knowing everything that she was going to say. I must have yawned a million times! Jamie noticed and began to giggle.

**************

Jamie and I had most of our classes together we found out at lunch. We sat under a tree with some more of her friends and they asked me questions.

"So," One girl named Jena who had short blonde hair and blue eyes asked, "How was Nevada?"

"Hot, dry, cool as crap." I answered, "I lived in Vegas so there was always something to do."

"Wow." Another girl, Kayla who had longish, wavy light brown hair and brown eyes, said, "Las Vegas. I've always wanted to live there. But my mom said it's not a place for families."

I shrugged. "It kind of is. I lived there with my mom since I was two."

"So why did you move here?" A guy named Chad, Kayla's twin brother who looked just like her only a lot skinnier and had glasses, asked me.

"My mom lost her job so I have to live with my dad." I answered.

"Her dad's only 29." Jamie informed everyone.

Thank you, Jamie...

"29. Jeez, that's young! Since you're 13... he was only 16 when you were born!" Kayla said.

Great math.

"Yeah." I said.

Jena whispered something to Kayla and Kayla nodded. I wondered what they were saying.

"Uh... " Jena began, "There was this rumor going around last week that, um, AJ McLean is your like, dad, and we were just wondering if it was, you know, true."

Great. The ever popular, 'Is your daddy the tattooed guy from Backstreet Boys?' question. Lucky, lucky me.

I shook my head. "No." I lied, "That's just a rumor. They saw me at his house one day and their tiny brains came up with the conclusion that he's my dad. Retarded, huh?"

All four of them laughed. "Yeah," Jena said.

A few minutes later Daniel, the guy I'd sat next to on the famous first day of school, ran over to the tree that I was sitting under with Jamie, Jena, Chad, and Kayla. They all looked at each other and then to him. Like he was God or something.

"Hey," He said coolly.

Though I guess he might as well be to these people. He's popular, nice, and damn sexy...

"Hey." I repeated.

"How are you all doing?" He asked.

The four of them just shrugged. I spoke up by saying, "We're all cool. What bout you?" I had to squint to see him in the sunlight.

"Good, good." Daniel said, "I just saw you, Kelly, and decided to say hey."

"Okay, well, you did." I said. What? He did.

"Yeah, so I'll talk to you later. Maybe on the bus." Daniel said.

"Only if there are no more empty seats." I said with a smile.

Daniel smiled slyly at me and said, "I'll make sure there aren't."

Am I popular here or what?
36 by Ashleigh
Chad and Kayla went on my bus with me. Kayla said she'd sit with me, but Chad hit her on the arm and said, "No, she's going to sit with me."

The guys here all love me.

I smiled at them and said, "Why don't we just all sit in separate seats?"

They shrugged saying that it was a fair idea. But when we got on the bus, there was not one empty seat. Most people were only sitting on to a seat.

"Well this certainly doesn't happen everyday." Kayla said, looking around.

"Hey Kelly!" I heard a voice call from the back of the bus. When I saw who it was, I rolled my eyes. Daniel. "I told you I'd make it so we'd have to sit together!" He called.

"Come on, let's get a seat in the back." I said to Chad and Kayla.

"In the back?" Chad asked, "That's where the popular kids sit. Not anyone like us."

I have come to the conclusion that both Chad and Kayla are nerds. Or dorks. Or social outcasts, whatever you want to call it.

"Come on," I said, "Don't be afraid of them. I can get you a seat easy."

They reluctantly followed me to the back. I sat down next to Daniel and Kayla and Chad just stood there.

"Sit down." I told them.

Most of the other people had their backpacks blocking the way for the other people to sit down. I thought that was mean. No wonder I hate popular people.

"Brad, Jeremy, move your stuff and let em sit next to you." Daniel told to two of his friends.

He must have been their leader or something because the two of them both moved their things and let Chad and Kayla sit.

"So thanks for, uh, saving me a seat." I said.

"No problem." Daniel said.

Kayla and Chad, who were both a few seats ahead, looked back at me. Daniel saw them and whispered to me, "So why are you hanging with the losers?"

"Because they're nice." I said, "Does it really mad what they look like?"

Daniel shrugged. "It does to me." He said, "Only certain people are allowed in my social circle... and those two don't even qualify for a one minute session with me."

"A session? What do you do? Fuck em or something?" I asked angrily. This guy was a jerk!

Everyone's head on the bus turned and looked at me. Why? Because I was yelling at a popular, godlike basketball player.

"Calm down." Daniel said, "Damn."

I crossed my arms and looked straight ahead at the girl in front of me's head.

"What happened?" Kayla mouthed to me.

I shook my head as if to tell her "Nothing." I wasn't about to tell her that Daniel was talking mess about her.

Daniel and I didn't talk for a while until we passed by my house. Him and one of his friends saw it and said, "Hey look, there's teenybopper heaven."

"Yeah," His friend said, "Where the Bullshit Boys always are."

Daniel looked at me, expecting me to laugh. Instead I said, "That's where my DAD lives, you dumbass."

Daniel and his friend both looked taken aback. "Your dad?" Daniel asked.

"Yes, my dad. AJ McLean." I said. And then, loud enough for everyone to hear I yelled, "That's right everybody! AJ McLean, that's Alexander James McLean, is my dad! My father, the guy who screwed my mom and impregnated her! Yup, so ya'll know now!"
37 by Ashleigh
I walked into the house and threw my backpack next to the door. "Fuckin basketball players suck!" I yelled.

I walked into the living room, planning on watching some Spongebob, but when I got inside I saw that AJ and some woman were already in there. I stood in the doorway and looked at them. They looked like they were just about to leave or they'd just come back from somewhere. Hmm...

"Hi Kelly, how was school anyway, this is Natalie and we were just about to leave so bye." He stood up and Natalie did the same.

I stopped him before he could get very far. "Wait, who's Natalie? I've never met her before." I walked over to her and forced her to sit down. I practically had to push her down. "Hey girl, what's up?"

Natalie smiled at me and then looked pleadingly at AJ. I laughed and said, "I'm not gonna hurt you. So... " I smiled at her and then grinned evilly at AJ who was standing in the doorway with his shoulders sagging. I continued, "What's your name?"

"Natalie... " She answered me.

"I know that. What's you whole name?" I asked.

"Natalie Dudly." She answered.

I giggled. "Did you know that dud means failure?" I asked her.

Natalie Dudley (I love that!) raised her eyebrows and nodded. "It was a childhood taunt... "

"Oh... " I said, "People call me a lot of things." I was just trying to make her feel better.

"Kel, come on. We have to leave." AJ said.

"Shut your mouth." I snapped at AJ before turning back to Dud, "So how old are you?"

"31." Dud answered me.

I turned my head and yelled to AJ, "31! That's two years older than you! Good Lord! I refuse to let you be seen with this woman! Ever!"

AJ sighed. "Will you shut up and let me and Natalie leave if I say you can see Chris again?" He asked.

"Yup." I jumped up and said to Dud, "See ya never." Before running out of the living room.

"She's very... charming?" Natalie said.

I stuck my head back in the living room and said, "Aren't I?"

AJ pushed my head away and said, "Yeah, you're the most charming girl ever. Now go. Do homework or something."

I headed up the stairs while saying, "I don't do homework. Homework is for people with no lives."

I went into my room and a few moments later heard the front door open and then close again. I wonder where they're going? A date probably. I won't screw this one up. But maybe the next one. If there even is a next one...
38 by Ashleigh
It was almost 1:30 and AJ was still out. 1:30 in the morning! And I couldn't sleep cuz I was wondering where the hell he was. I know, I know, it's stupid but I couldn't! I decided to go downstairs and watch TV or eat or something until he came home. I can run back up to bed before he gets inside.

So I headed to the living room and turned the TV on with the volume low. It's a habit. When it's late the volume always goes low. The only things on were infomercials, cooking shows on the Food Network, and I Love Lucy. I settled for I Love Lucy.

2:00. AJ was still gone. I Love Lucy was over and now Bewitched was on. I was growing tired, but didn't feel like going to sleep.

3:45. Still gone... is he dead or something? Shit.

I ended up falling asleep on the couch at about 4:00. I couldn't help it. But I woke right up when I heard the TV turn off. I opened my eyes and saw AJ trying to walk quietly out of the living room.

"AJ?" I mumbled. I knew it was him, but I'm a retard so I called his name.

He turned around and looked at me. "Hey," He whispered, "Go back to sleep."

I nodded and closed my eyes again just as AJ turned off the single lamp that was on in the room.

I fell asleep a few minutes later.

*********

AJ woke me up at 7:00 the next morning. He looked just as tired as I felt. Which I guess is a given since he got even less sleep then I did the night before.

I slowly got ready for school and didn't get done until about 8:00. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen for breakfast and saw AJ sitting at his breakfast table {AN: Do any of you people have one of these? We do at my house... Are we weird?} with a cup of what looked like coffee in one hand, and his head in his other with his eyes closed.

I decided to refrain from waking him up. Might as well give him these precious moments of sleep. I reached into the cabinet for the box of Pop Tarts he keeps up there and pulled one out.

"I guess I gotta take you to school again seeing as you missed your bus." AJ suddenly said.

He scared me so bad that I dropped the pack on the floor. I thought he was asleep! He chuckled slightly and asked, "What's your problem?"

"I thought you were sleeping and you scared me." I told him.

"Sorry." AJ said and yawned. He buried his head into his arms. "Fucking tired." I heard him mumble.

"You shouldn't have stayed out so late." I told him, sitting across from him at the table. "Where were you anyway?" I questioned.

AJ picked his head up and said, "Natalie and I went out to dinner, then we went to her place and... " He wiggled his eyebrows up and down.

I dropped my Pop Tart and said, "Oh gross! I did not need you to do that. Now I've gotta go wash my brain out!"

AJ smiled. "Sorry. My bad. Forgot that you're not mature enough to handle those kind of things."

"Damn straight." I said, continuing to pick at my Pop Tart.

"Well you'd better hurry up or you'll miss your first period class." AJ said, standing up.

"And that's a bad thing how?" I asked.

"Well you have missed almost two weeks of school... I don't need you failing." AJ told me.
39 by Ashleigh
"Kelly." A voice kept calling, "Kelly!" It wouldn't stop. "Kelly Conner!" It called sharply and then there was a big banging noise.

I awoke with a start and looked around me. Where was I? A few moments later I realized that I was in my third period class and my teacher, Ms. Daniels was standing in front of my desk with her big stick pointer thingy. She must have banged it on my desk when I didn't wake up. She was looking at me sternly. Everyone was laughing.

"Glad you could finally join us. Now would you please pay attention?" Ms. Daniels asked.

I slouched down in my seat and crossed my arms. Science. Boring... And Ms. Daniels was the oldest, most boring teacher in the whole school. I was sitting in the front row, and behind me I could still hear Daniel and his little posse laughing at me. I looked behind me and glared at them. He and Lindsay seemed to be pretty close to each other. I guess they were back together. Well, they deserve each other.

Jamie leaned over to say something to me. "Just ignore them. They're jerks. All of them."

"I know. I have had the displeasure of meeting them all." I whispered back to her when Ms. Daniels had her back turned.

Jamie smiled. "Try going to school with them since the second grade." She said. Then she went back to her worksheet.

I'd finished mine. It was so easy. I leaned back in my chair, like I always do, and waited for the next worksheet to come my way. Everyone else seemed to be struggling with it. Except for Jamie and Chad, who sat behind me. Chad was finished also, and Jamie just kept talking to people and daydreaming.

A few minutes later and office assistant came into the classroom with a pass to the office. She gave it to Ms. Danie's who looked at it and said, "Kelly Conner."

I looked up curiously. "Yeah?" I asked.

"For you. Go up to the office. And bring your things. It says here that you won't be coming back this period." Ms. Daniel's told me.

I got up slowly and picked up my backpack. Chad and Jamie exchanged curious glances before looking at me. I walked to Ms. Daniels and took the pass from her before leaving the classroom.

I slowly made my way to the office. I hoped I wasn't in trouble. But what would I be in trouble for? I didn't do anything yet. Could they tell the future??

I walked into the office and showed my pass to Ms. F.

"Where do I go?" I asked her shakily. I was pretty nervous.

Ms. F took a look at my pass before pointing to Ms. Holmes office. The one that I was all too familiar with. I walked over to it and knocked before walking in.

"Ah, Kelly, come in." Ms. Holmes said.

I walked inside and saw that Evan and a few others were in there. Evan was slumped down, with his arms crossed. He looked angry.

"Take a seat or stand up." Ms. Holmes said, "Maybe one of these young men would be nice enough to move and let you sit."

Evan stood up and stood behind his chair. "Sit here." He muttered.

I did. I perched myself on the edge of it. "What did you need me for?" I asked.

"It seems that there has been some vandalism in the bathrooms about some of the ladies at this school. In both the boys and girls bathrooms." Ms. Holmes said.

"About me?" I asked.

"No, about Lindsay Johnson and a few of her friends. It just appeared yesterday." Ms. Holmes said, "I immediately knew that these four boys were responsible for what was written in the boys bathroom, but for the girls bathroom I had to think a bit. Nothing like this has ever happened in there until you came."

"You're blaming ME for this?" I asked bewildered.

"Like I said, nothing like this has happened until you came. And I know that you and Miss Johnson have an already bad attitude towards one another." Ms. Holmes said, "So I am almost certain that you were the one who did it."

"We already told you," Evan spoke up angrily, "She didn't do it."

"And who did then, Mr. Hillard?" Ms. Holmes snapped.

"We won't say." Another spoke up.

"Well until you do, I'm holding Miss Conner responsible." Ms. Holmes said, "I've already called all of your parents and they're on their way."

I sat there with my mouth hanging open. I couldn't believe it! Just because I'd gotten off to a bad start with Lindsay, the damn principal was automatically blaming me! That was so unfair! And what's even worse is that AJ is going to be so pissed off! He'll never believe me in a million years that I didn't do it. I'd already proved to him that I was the type to do that.

I looked behind me at Evan who was gripping the back of the chair I was sitting in. He mouthed "Sorry." to me. And why couldn't Evan had just told who the hell really did it so he could get me out of this? He'd seen how angry AJ had gotten with me! He should know that I'll get in deep, deep trouble.

Dumb bastard.
40 by Ashleigh
AJ was the second parent to get there. As soon as he walked inside he saw me sitting in the chair, shaking because I was so nervous.

"What the hell is going on?" He asked, closing the door behind him.

I jumped up and ran over to him. "I didn't do it! I swear! They're just blaming me because these guys won't tell who really did it!" I said.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa... What happened?" AJ asked, leading me back to the seat I was in.

"I'll explain once the other parents get here." Ms. Holmes told AJ.

I sat back down and AJ stood next to me. I looked up at him. He looked even more tired than he had this morning. I was guessing that Ms. Holmes had woken him up while he was trying to get at least a few hours of sleep. He looked back down at me and smiled.

But he wouldn't be smiling anymore after Ms. Holmes got through explaining that I did something I didn't!

We had to wait about 10 more minutes for the other guys parents. 10 long, gruesome minutes. Ms. Holmes kept sending me these looks like, "Ha ha. I got you!". I should kick this woman's ass.

As Ms. Holmes explained what had happened, I could feel the tears coming on. It's what happens when you're put on the spot in the principals office and you know you didn't do it. It has happened to me before in Nevada.

She finished and I hung my head. My hair covered up my face, which I guess is a good thing since there were tears running down my face. I didn't want these guys to see me cry. They were too damn cool.

There was a moment of silence. But not like at a funeral... More like angry silence. But then AJ spoke up, "I don't fuckin believe it."

Oh no. He's mad now. I couldn't look up.

"I know that Kelly wouldn't do that. Especially when she just got in a lot of trouble at this damn school. She's smart enough to know not to get herself in trouble again." He said.

I looked up. Was AJ defending me? Weird... But I guess it's a good thing since I DIDN?T DO IT!

"There's no one else that we can think of." Ms. Holmes said, "No other girl has anything against Lindsay Johnson."

"That you know of!" AJ snapped, "For all you know there could be a whole fucking club of girls plotting ways to get back at her for whatever little thing she's done!"

Ms. Holmes shook her head and opened her mouth to say something. But AJ cut her off, "I don't give a shit what you say because I KNOW that she did not do it!"

"She didn't, Ms. Holmes." Evan said.

"Who did it then?" Ms. Holmes asked.

Evan was quiet for a moment until his mom told him to tell the truth. "Carly Redken." He said.

Carly Redken! But... she's...

"She's a cheerleader though. I thought she was a friend of Lindsay's." Ms. Holmes said.

Evan shook his head. "No. Lindsay got her mad so... she came to us." He said.

"And you told her what to write?" Ms. Holmes asked.

"No, she told us what to write. We don't know anything about her." Another boy, Anthony, said.

"Oh, well... " Ms. Holmes looked baffled, "I'm sorry, Miss Conner. And I'm sorry, Mr. McLean to have disrupted you. I guess the two of you can go now. And I'll get Miss Redken here right away."

"Damned straight you're sorry." AJ mumbled as he led me out of the office.

Once we got out into the office, Jamie came right over to me. "Hey, what happened?" She asked. She'd waited next to the office for me since it was already lunch. Chad, Kayla, and Jena were there too and came up behind her.

I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and said, "The bitch thought I wrote shit about Lindsay."

Ms. F looked at me. She obviously was tempted to say something about my cursing, but when she saw AJ standing there she held herself back.

"Is that your dad?" Jena asked.

I looked at AJ and nodded. "Mmm hmm."

"But you told us that was a lie." Kayla said.

"What I told you was a lie." I answered, "He's my dad."

"And you'd better be happy," AJ said, "I just about cussed out your principal in there."

I smiled at him and said, "I'm very happy about that."

"Good. Well I gotta go. So far I've gotten an hour of sleep." He said, "I'll see you later, okay?"

I nodded. He began to leave but I stopped him. "Wait, AJ." I called.

He did so and turned around. "Yeah?" He asked.

I walked over to him and hugged him. "Thank you so so so so so so so much for believing me and telling Ms. Holmes where to stick it."

AJ hugged me back and laughed. "But I didn't tell her where to stick it... but you know I would have if I'da thought of it."
41 by Ashleigh
"So you and your dad are close?" Kayla asked me as we walked towards the courtyard to eat lunch.

That made me laugh. "Me and AJ? Close? No way."

"Really?" Chad asked, "You two seem pretty close."

"Did you even hear me call him Dad once? No... Only when I told you he was my dad." I told them.

Jamie shrugged. "I don't call my dad Dad." She said, "As a matter of fact, I don't call him anything at all. I don't even talk to him."

"So you lied to us yesterday? When you told us that you two weren't really related?" Jena asked.

I shrugged. "I didn't want to make a bad impression on you." I said.

"I found out that he really was on the bus when you told everyone he was." Kayla said.

"Yeah, what was with that?" Chad asked.

I blushed. "Uh, Daniel and his asinine friend were pissing me off about it so I just kinda snapped and... yeah." I answered them.

"Oh, well that's okay." Kayla said, "Daniel does have a tendency to piss people off."

The others nodded in agreement. We all sat down under the tree and they all started to take out their lunches. Oh God... I'm with the cold lunch people. Damn. The ones I used to make fun of. I didn't have any lunch so I just sat there and watched them eat.

But I was cool. I had a Pop-Tart for breakfast.

We talked about how much of a jerk Daniel was and how much of a slut Lindsay was. It turned out that they really had gotten back together and they were now the "Cutest Couple" in eighth grade.

After the bell rang we all headed back to class. My next one was PE and I had it with Kayla. So we walked together as the others went off to their own classes.

I got through the rest of my classes without any controversy, though I had to try very hard to prevent it. When a guy passed by Kayla and I in our PE class and said, "Hey fatty, Goth." I had to hold myself back because I was about to start a fight with him. Instead I settled for throwing a basketball at his back as he was running back to his friends and almost knocking the wind out of him. Hey, you can't expect me to be totally saintly.
42 by Ashleigh
"Ms. Homles is a crack whore bitch." AJ told me later that night.

"Jeez, I know. Can you believe that she'd suspect me?" I asked.

"Yeah, I can believe it because she already has something against you, but it pisses me off." AJ said.

"Hey, do you think that you could cuss out some more of my teachers?" I asked.

AJ shook his head no. "No way. Absolutely freaking not." He told me.

"But you gotta admit, it was pretty fun, huh?" I asked.

AJ nodded his head. "The most fun I've had in a while." He told me.

"So, did you get any sleep after you got home?" I asked him.

"No! Not one friggin minute." AJ said, "Natalie dropped by and we went out for a few hours."

"Is she gonna like, rule your life now or something?" I asked.

"No. She just wanted to go out." AJ insisted.

"Sure... " I said, not believing him for a minute, "So, where'd you go?" I wanted to know.

"Nowhere, really. Just to this cafe that sold shit coffee." He told me.

"What'd you talk about?" I asked.

"God, I don't know! What's with the 20 questions thing going on here?"

"Do you like her? Is she the one? Will you marry her? What'd she wear? Did she have her hair done? Nails? Make-up? How many kids are you planning on having together?" I kept shooting out the questions to him.

AJ covered his ears with his hands, "Shut up! Where's the damn pizza?"

"I'm supposed to be asking the questions... " I said, "Where's the damn pizza?"

AJ uncovered his ears and said, very slowly and seriously, "I am planning on marrying this woman. Yes, I am. And we're going to have two kids together. Billy and... Sue... yeah, Sue. Short for Susanna."

He must have seen the shocked look on my face, because he suddenly broke out into a smile and continued, "And we're going to kick your butt out onto the streets, because it won't look good to have an older child. Life will be good."

I hit him on the arm. "Shut up! You're not even funny!" I said.

"Jeez, I was just kidding. Lighten up... " He told me, "I'm not planning on marrying her... anytime soon at least. And there will be absolutely no kids. God knows I don't need anymore."

"What? Do I tire you out enough?" I asked.

"Yup." AJ said, "Especially when you were a baby." He leaned back in his chair and said, overdramatically if you ask me, "You would never shut the hell up! Every night, till four in the morning, cry cry cry cry cry! You drove me and your mom crazy!"

"Oh, come on. I was a sweet baby and you know it." I told him.

"Yeah, when you were asleep. Which was hardly ever." AJ told me.

"Well, not a lot has changed, as you can tell." I smiled with my fake sweetness.

"Well, at least you sleep now." Was all AJ said.

The doorbell rang. PIZZA! Fina-frickin-ly! "Shut your mouth and get the pizza." I demanded AJ.

"You are an evil, evil child." AJ said, standing up.

"I know, I pride myself on it."
43 by Ashleigh
The next few weeks of school went by pretty smoothly. I didn't get anymore suspensions or parent teacher conferences. Yeah, sure, there was a referral here and there and I got sent out of the classroom almost everyday, but other than that I was a good little girl.

Fall break came and went. I was glad to get that week off from school. Jamie and them came over once, but I realized that they're freaking boring. Not the type of people to invite to your house. Just the type to hang out with at school.

And since AJ wasn't forbidding me to see the guys, they came over almost everyday now. We hang out outside and push each other into the pool. Chris and I had gone out a few more times, but it was nothing big. He still hasn't kissed me, in case you wanted to know. Why it's any of you business, I don't know... AJ is still weirded out by him. Not because of his hair, but because of his age. It's only a year since I will be 14 in one fricking week!

Oh, and my mom is flying out here (with her dumbass boyfriend... ) a few days after my birthday! Yay! She says she can't come on my birthday because she can't get off work. But I don't care! She'll be here on Halloween. (so will her dumbass boyfriend... ) I don't know if AJ is too thrilled about it, but he agreed to let her (and her dumbass boyfriend... ) stay at his house. Only because he knows that my mom doesn't have the kind of cash to get a hotel. Plus, I don't want her (though I don't really care about her dumbass boyfriend... ) to stay in a hotel! I'll never see her!

AJ still goes out with that damned Natalie Dudly woman. It pisses me off, too cuz she's always at the house. But I haven't had the proper chance to freak her out. Maybe I'll get AJ REALLY mad at me and have him hit me! Then she'll not want to go out with him anymore! But I think that would hurt... Anyway, they're always out really late at night still. Grosses me out just to think of what they do.

So that's just about all that's happened in the past few weeks. Nothing HUGE like a death or marriage or anything.

*************

I got off the bus and started down the street towards my house. Before I even got half of halfway there, Chris, Paul, and Jordan all came up behind me and just about scared the shit out of me.

I turned around and said, "Hey, what are you guys doing here? Did you ditch?"

I saw Lindsay and the ditzes all standing together looking evilly at me. Ha ha. They so want Chris!

"Damn straight, we did." Paul said.

"Right after second period." Chris told me, "Broke into the closed down skatepark and spray-painted shit all over it."

"I wish I woulda been there! I had to sit through my stupid classes trying not to fall asleep!" I said.

We continued down the street and Chris put his arm around me. I almost, as an instinct, hit him, but then I remembered that this was CHRIS! I have been wanting, wishing, that he would do this!

"Those girls behind us are staring, so I gotta pretend that you and me are serious." He told me.

Oh. I thought he was doing this cuz he liked me. But nooooo.

After we'd lost Lindsay and them, he took his arm away and pretended that nothing had happened. I should have yelled at him, but it's just a matter of time till he does anything. Just a matter of time...

We got to my house and I said, "Well, I gotta go. I'll talk to you guys later."

"Can't we come in?" Jordan asked me.

"Uh... " I shifted my weight nervously from one foot to the other. AJ told me specifically that they could come over as long as he was there. Other than that, no way! And AJ said he'd be gone until at least 5:30 that day. He'd told me that he didn't mind them hanging out with me, but he still didn't trust them. "Actually, I've got a lot of homework. And there are these tests that I gotta pass if I want to go onto the ninth grade. So why don't you come over at around 6:00? If you can, that is."

Chris shrugged and said, "Sure. See you at 6 then."
44 by Ashleigh
Chris and the other guys were at my house. We were up in the room (with my door opened... ) listening to CD's.

"You guys coming to my birthday?" I asked them. I was lying on my bed, hanging upside down.

"Yeah, I guess." Paul said.

"I am." Chris told me.

"I guess that I will, too." Jordan agreed with a shrug.

"When is it?" Chris asked me.

"The twenty-sixth." I answered him. "So you'd better show up!"

"We will." Jordan told me.

AJ appeared in my doorway and asked, "You guys hungry?"

Chris, Jordan, and Paul shook their heads no, but I jumped off my bed. "Yup." I answered, "Whatdaya got for me?"

"Whatever you want." AJ said, "Come downstairs and get something."

"I'll be right back." I told the guy, and followed AJ downstairs.

Natalie was in the living room. She didn't say much. I was beginning to wonder if she could talk... Maybe she was from a foreign country.

When we got to the kitchen AJ said, "Okay, we got soup or Macaroni and Cheese."

"That's a pretty limited variety." I said.

"I know, but you're going to have to choose one." AJ said.

"Mmm... " I thought for a second before saying, "Macaroni and Cheese."

AJ smiled, "Okay, you can go upstairs while I make it." He said, "Oh, and your friends should be leaving now. You do have school tomorrow."

"Okay." I said, not wanting to give AJ a hard time. I figure I should cut him a break once in a while.

***************

"You're Mac and Cheese tastes like shit." I told AJ while we ate.

Chris, Paul, Jordan, and Natalie had all gone home. So now it was just me and AJ in the kitchen.

"Yeah, I know." AJ agreed, "I think I put in too much water."

I picked up a spoonful of the watery Macaroni and Cheese and then poured it back into the bowl. "Ya think?" I asked.

AJ put his bowl down and said, "That's it. I'm ordering some damn food. What do you want?"

"Anything but pizza." I said.

"Chinese?" AJ suggested.

I shrugged. "Sure, why not?"
45 by Ashleigh
"Okay, you hit the end of the spoon and watch it fly off." I told Natalie one day at breakfast.

Yeah, she's here. For the next week. They're painting her house or something, so she had to leave her house for a while. AJ said that she could stay here with us. I said she could get a hotel room.

Of course, my opinion was not welcome.

"What if the spoon falls on the floor?" Natalie asked me.

"It doesn't matter." I told her, "Now the key is to aim. Allow me to demonstrate."

I placed my spoon on the edge of the table and placed a piece of cereal onto it. Then I positioned it so it was facing AJ, who was standing at the counter making coffee. I smiled at Natalie and then hit the end of the spoon and the cereal went flying and hit AJ right in the head.

Natalie began to laugh. AJ turned to face us and she covered her mouth, trying to suppress it. I smiled at a job well done.

"Ha ha." AJ said.

"Sorry... " I said.

Natalie stopped giggling and uncovered her mouth. She smiled at AJ as he made her a cup of coffee. When he handed it to her, she said, "Thanks."

AJ kissed her and then said, "I'll get you more later if you keep this girl from throwing stuff at me."

"You two are sick. Sick, sick, sick." I told them.

AJ smiled and said, "I know... "

I rolled my eyes just as the phone rang. AJ went to go answer it. "Hello?... Yeah, this is him... Oh, um," AJ glanced at Natalie and I and began to walk towards the living room. The last thing I heard him say was, "Well, what happened?"

I shrugged and then went back to eating my cereal. Once I finished my bowl, I went back to get some more. As I poured the cereal into the bowl, AJ came back in and hung up the phone.

"Kelly, can you come talk to me in the living room for a few minutes?" AJ asked me.

"Hang on," I said, pouring milk, "Just lemme finish this."

AJ cleared his throat. "I think that you should come now."

I sighed and set my bowl on the table. I followed AJ into the living room. "What is it?" I asked him, sitting down on the couch.

AJ cleared his throat again. He sat down on the couch next to me and tapped his hands on his leg. He kept looking at me and opening his mouth, and then closing it, like he couldn't talk.

"What is it, AJ? I mean, '?ve got to eat still and then get to the bus." I said, "So spit it out already!"

"It's about your mom." He told me quietly, his voice shaking slightly.

I sighed and slumped down into the couch. "Let me guess, something came up and she can't make it?" I shrugged. "I'll get over it."

I started to get up, but AJ pulled me back down. "That's not it, Kelly." He said, "She was in an accident on the way to the airport." He took a deep breath. "And she didn't make it."
46 by Ashleigh
"You mean she didn't make it to the airport, right? That was her who called, wasn't it?" I asked.

"No, I mean that she... she's gone." AJ said.

"Gone where?" I asked stupidly. But I knew exactly where.

"Gone, Kel. Gone." AJ said. He obviously didn't know how to tell me this.

"What happened to her?" I asked him.

"I'm not really sure. All I know is that she died at the hospital." AJ told me.

"No!" I screamed, "You're joking me! You're playing some sort of a sick joke on me! You and my mom! Well it's not funny!"

I ran out of the living room and almost collided with Natalie. "What's wrong, Kelly?" She asked me. I didn't answer her. I just pushed past her. Tears blurred my vision as I ran up the stairs. I didn't get very far before AJ came up behind me and held onto me.

"Kelly, sit down." He demanded me. But not in a harsh way. More like a pleading way.

I sat down on the step and pulled my legs up to my chest and buried my head in them. AJ had his arms around me and he said, "I'm so sorry."

"It's all my fault." I said in-between sobs.

"No it isn't, Kelly. Why would you say that?" AJ asked me.

"Because if I hadn?t asked her to come this never would have happened." I told him.

"That has nothing to do with it." AJ said.

I looked up. "Why was she even coming today?" I asked him, "She's not supposed to be coming here until next week." It was two days before my birthday, and she wasn't even supposed to be coming until afterwards.

"She wanted to surprise you and show up on your birthday." AJ said.

"So it IS my fault!" I wailed, "Because if I hadn't have wanted her to come then she wouldn't have and then she wouldn't have come earlier and she wouldn't have gotten hurt or whatever and she wouldn't have... "

"Kelly," AJ whispered to me, "It's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself."

"I can't." I told him, "Why did this have to happen?"

"I don't know," AJ said, "But it's going to be okay. You'll get through this."

"No I won't." I insisted, standing up on the stairs, "My mom has been the only person who's really cared about me my entire life. And now she's gone. Now all I have is you."

I ran to my room. I heard AJ sigh behind me. I wonder if he even cared about what happened to my mom. Probably not. He had a new damn woman in his life and he didn't have to care about her anymore.
47 by Ashleigh
Naturally, I didn't go to school that day. I don't think that I'm going to be going for a while. This whole week, at least, I'll be way too upset to go. Then the next two weeks I'm going to be in Nevada with AJ.

I stayed in my room for a few hours, but then went back downstairs. AJ was in the living room with Natalie, explaining to her what happened. I blew up at him by screaming, "You don't got to go and tell everyone!"

I don't feel bad about it. I mean, I hardly know this Natalie woman. She doesn't need to know MY business. But I know that AJ's sorry about it. At least he acts like he's sorry about it. But he has been feeling sorry for me all day.

But now we're in the living room again. Natalie is out getting her and AJ lunch. I didn't want any. AJ is on the phone with Casey, Mom's best friend. She was giving him the information on what happened. But I didn't want to talk to her. I didn't really want to talk to anybody.

"Well he'll be fuckin wishing he were dead when I get over there." AJ said to her.

He was probably talking about Mom's dumbass boyfriend, Jonathan. I guess that means he's not dead. I wish he were though. I wish he were dead instead of my mom.

"Yeah, we'll be flying out there on the 31st... " AJ told her, "Yeah we'll stay in a hotel... "

A hotel. It is better than staying with Casey since she has such a small apartment. It would probably scare AJ because it's so small. He's not used to that. But he has become attached to hotels.

"I don't know," AJ's voice pulled me out of my thoughts, "Um, do you wanna talk to her?"

I shook my head. Please don't make me talk to anyone! Please!

"Wait, uh, actually I think it would be better if you didn't right now. Sorry." AJ told her when he saw me shaking my head, "Okay, I'll talk to you later... Bye."

AJ hung up the phone and set it on the table. He put his head back and closed his eyes muttering, "Too much drama. Too much fucking drama."

I didn't say anything. But I did agree with him. Too much drama. Too much unwanted drama. But I did want to find out one thing.

"What happened to her boyfriend?" I asked AJ.

"He's in the hospital. But they say that he's in stable condition and that he'll be out of the hospital in a few days." AJ told me, "But he should be the one who?s dead. The dumb fuck was drunk while he was driving your mom."

"So it's his fault that all of this happened?" I asked.

AJ nodded. "Yup, his fault and the car he ran into." He said, "But you can't really blame the person in that car cuz he's dead too."

"So he killed two people?" I asked.

"Yeah. I should kill him." AJ said.

"You should." I agreed, "But why the hell did my mom go with him when he was drunk?"

"I don't really know. My guess is as good as yours." AJ explained to me.

So Jonathan was drunk. Recovering alcoholic my ass. He was just using that to get to my mom. Maybe while AJ is killing him I can help.

Natalie came back a few minutes later with some Carl's Jr. Bags. Uh oh. Does she not know that in the House of AJ, all you can get is McDonald's? It's an unwritten rule.

She gave AJ his and asked me, "How are you doing, Kel?"

My mom's dead you idiot. How do you think I am? "I don't know." I answered her.

Natalie smiled at me and sat on the other side of the couch, next to AJ. AJ put his bag down and said, "I'm not hungry anymore."

Hmm... I wonder why. How could he have even been hungry in the first place? I feel like I'll never eat again. Eh, I probably will actually.
48 by Ashleigh
A few hours later, someone came by the house. I was lying on the couch and AJ and Natalie were sitting on the floor. Natalie got up to get it. I thought it was kind of funny how she was like AJ's slave that day.

AJ was trying to change the channel on the TV, but his remote control was running out of batteries and he was getting frustrated. He started banging it on the ground, and then putting in numbers.

"Get new batteries." I told him.

He looked at me, and then back to the remote. "Good idea." He told me.

"I know," I said, "I'm smart."

Poor me. Trying to be my old self again. But it's not working.

Natalie came in followed by Nick and Toni. "Hey guys," Nick said happily.

I didn't look at them. I kept my eyes on the TV. All I did was mumble a "Hi."

"What's up, Nick?" AJ asked.

"We got some good news." Nick said to us.

Really? Well I got some bad news to top your damn good news.

"What is it?" AJ asked. He sounded like he really didn't care what the hell Nick's "good news" was. Be gone Nick!

"Nick and I are getting married!" Toni told us excitedly.

I rolled my eyes. AJ smiled and said, "That's great." Then he turned back to the TV also.

"What is wrong with you two?" Toni asked us.

I didn't answer. I looked at AJ as if to tell him, "You tell em."

AJ shook his head like he didn't want to tell, and I nodded. He was gonna tell them, cuz I sure as hell wasn't going to!

AJ sighed and mumbled, "Allie was in an accident."

"Whoa, is she okay?" Nick asked.

"Who's Allie?" Toni asked.

"Allie...Allison is Kelly's mom." AJ answered.

"Is she okay?" Nick repeated.

AJ shook his head. "I gotta get some batteries." He mumbled, standing up.

I watched him go into the kitchen. It kind of seemed like he was a bit upset about my mom. Could it be that he actually cares about her? No, of course not. He's just mad because now he has to keep me here.

Nick walked over to me and asked, "What happened, Kelly?"

"She died." I answered him indifferently.

"Kel, God um, I'm sorry." Nick said.

"Yeah, I know." I said, the tears coming back, "Everyone feels so damn sorry for me."

"Don't start crying now." Nick said, kneeling beside me.

Who is he to tell me what to do and not to do? Natalie and Toni came closer. I closed my eyes and kept on crying. About a minute later, AJ came back in. "What's going on?" He asked.

I opened my eyes and sat up. AJ dropped the remote control and rushed over to me.

"What's wrong?" He asked me, taking Nick's place next to me. "Well, I mean, I know what's wrong but... nevermind."

AJ embraced me and kissed my forehead. I hugged him back and whispered in his ear, "I love you, Dad."
49 by Ashleigh
I had trouble sleeping the next two nights. Every time I tried to get to sleep, images of exactly what happened to my mom kept appearing. And a few times after I did fall asleep, I'd have a nightmare and wake up. Needless to say, it sucked.

AJ was being super nice to me. It sort of scared me. I mean, he always acted like I was gonna break or something. But hey, wouldn't that be cool? If I broke? Like glass or something? I think it's look awesome cuz there'd be little pieces of me everywhere. "Buy a piece of Kelly Conner! Only 25 cents!" No one would buy it though cuz I'm a loser.

I wouldn't talk to anyone. Well, anyone but AJ. But I wouldn't talk to any of my friends. Jamie came to bring me my books and homework, and I answered the door. I thanked her and then shut the door in her face without another word. I know it was rude, but I'm depressed damnit!

I did talk to Casey once, but I could barely understand what she was crying. She was bawling like a baby. I mean, I was still really upset, but at least I could contain myself. She said that since I wasn't crying anymore, she was crying for me. I believe that.

I overheard AJ talking to his mother. He said that I "seemed okay" but was "probably still shocked". What an idiot. I'm not in shock. I'm just trying to get past this all so I can get on with my fucking life.

But I'm doing a horrible job.

On my birthday... wow, that was a weird one. I guess I WAS still in shock that day. Not a lot of things happened. It was a pretty uneventful day to say the least. I still couldn't take my mind off of my mom. But I didn't cry once, thank you. I can hold it in. Let me take you back:

When I first woke up, I sat in the kitchen and watched AJ cook. I swear, it's hilarious to watch him cook, but like torture to actually have to eat it. I put my head down on the table and asked him, "Why don't you just order food or go out to eat?"

"Because this is breakfast, Kel. It's my resolution last New Year to be able to make something besides cereal." He told me.

"What about toast? Can't you make that?" I asked him.

AJ cleared his throat and said, "No, I can not. I burn it."

I smiled. Then I closed my eyes. I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before. It was one of those nights where I'd have the nightmares and wake up.

AJ set something down beside me and asked, "You okay?"

I nodded, not opening my eyes. See, I told you he treats me like a damn porcelain doll. It pisses me off, but I don't show it. I know that he's just concerned about me, blah, blah, blah.

It's all getting old.

A few minutes later I opened my eyes and saw a plate of eggs next to me. I looked at them and saw that they were all burnt.

"I know that they look sick, but just think of the burnt part as extra flavoring." AJ told me as he watched me from the counter, his arms crossed.

"I'm not very hungry." I told him slowly, pushing the plate away from me.

"Again?" He asked me, "You've hardly eaten unless the food is coming from McDonalds. I am sensing a pattern here."

"I just don't like your cooking." I told him bluntly.

"I can see that." AJ said, "And it hurts me deeply."

"Get over it." I snapped.

That stopped him. He turned back around and continued to cook his own breakfast. I could practically hear him thinking, "Don't get mad at her. She's going through a rough time."

The doorbell rang and I got up to get it. When I opened the door, I saw all of the other ferickin Bullshit Boys standing there with their girlfriends, or wives, or fiancees, and their kids. (If they had any, that is.)

"Happy birthday, Kelly." They all said. But thank God it wasn't together. Then I might have to go crazy and kick their pansy asses.

"Yeah, thanks." I said, and then left them in the doorway to come in themselves.

I heard the door close as I walked back into the kitchen. When AJ saw them all he smiled and said, "Hey, what are you guys doing here?"

"We decided to stop by early." Howie said. He was there with his wife. I think they just got married. How do I know? Cuz they still look happy.

"Great," AJ said, though I was thinking the exact opposite, "I think the only other people coming are my mom and Natalie."

"Natalie's coming?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?" AJ asked, "I thought you liked her."

I stood up and said, "I'm going to hide out in my room." I walked out of the kitchen and to the stairs. Some kid was standing next to the stairs.

"Hi." She said cheerily.

I didn't say anything. But I did yell to everyone in the kitchen, "Someone's kid's out here."

A moment later, as I was walking up the stairs, Kevin came out and took the little girl by the hand. I'm guessing it's his daughter. "Come on, Nessa. Let's go see Mommy." He said.

I hid in my room for about an hour before AJ came in and told me to come downstairs. He told me that people got stuff for me. Like that was a valid excuse for me to come down... But I did go down. And the other people were there. AJ's mom and... Natalie. She smiled at me perkily. Freak. AJ's mom just gave me a simple, kind of sympathetic smile. DO NOT PITY ME!

But please do.

"Kelly, here, I got this for you." Natalie said and handed me a gift wrapped in purple wrapping paper.

"Thank you." I said with a forced smile. I don't want to know what's in here...

"Open it." Natalie said excitedly.

"Maybe later... " I told her.

"Oh come on," She said, "You'll love it."

I sighed and sat down on the couch between her and Brian. I opened the present, while everyone's eyes were on me. I do not like to be the center of attention.

I was horrified to see what was inside. But I tried to hide it. It was hard considering it was a freaking pick shirt with, get this, FLOWERS on it!

"Uh... " I said, searching for what to say, "Thanks. It's great. I'll wear it every time I go insane."

Everybody laughed. Am I amusing or something? Jeez, shut your mouths!

The rest of the gifts were okay. I could keep my sanity at least, as I opened them. But I don't know if I'll ever use them.

Conversation was pretty boring. I didn't say much. I just listened. No one said anything about my mom. They were probably trying to spare me of the painful memories. The horror!

None of my friends stopped by. They were all going to, but I told them not to. I wished I hadn't said that. As I sat on the floor of the living room, I was wondering if you could die of boredom. I came up with the conclusion that you can't, because I was still living.

I let my mind drift off to other things. First it went to my mom. But then I tried to think of something else, like Jared. But it kept going back to my mom. Finally I allowed myself to think of my mom. About what a cool mom she was. She was like, my best friend besides Jared.

Man, I really miss her.
50 by Ashleigh
"You ready to go?" AJ asked me, standing in my doorway.

I nodded and tried to stuff all of my things into one bag. Two weeks in Nevada and I had to pack light. What a deal, huh? It's not like me to pack light.

"Okay, I'll wait for you downstairs." AJ told me.

"Kay." I agreed. Whatever, man, whatever.

A few minutes later I finally got all of my clothes into the bag. Before I left my room, I grabbed my CD player. I had to have something to do on the plane. And in the hotel. And then the extra 12 damn days we're going to be there. Plus, I need it to block out the voices of everybody as they try to talk to me.

Yup, so this CD player is like a godsend. I got it on my birthday from AJ cuz my old one broke. Throwing things against the wall is not good...

I ran downstairs with my bag. AJ was leaning against the open door. I sighed. He was probably smoking. He has to stop that. He looked back at me. "You ready?" He asked with a smile.

"Yup, let's go and get this whole fucking trip over with." I said.

AJ nodded. He knew that I didn't want to go. He knew that it was hard enough for me already and the last thing that I needed was to have to go to a funeral with a bunch of people around me crying and saying how much they'll miss her. Half the people haven't seen her for years.

Honestly. I can tell you who, too. AJ, of course, Nick, Howie, Kevin, Brian (Don'a ask me why...My grandparents invited them. I guess that they were actually friends back in the day.), my uncle whom I've never met, and my grandparents on my moms side. They disowned her because of, well, me. Yeah, I know, I screw everything up. Oh, and Jonathan's going to be there. He should burn in hell.

AJ walked out behind me and then unlocked the doors of the car. He instructed me to put my bag in the backseat. I did so and then circled around the car to the passengers side.

He got in and said, "Okay, let's go and, like you said, get this whole fucking trip over with."

"Damn straight." I said, "I didn't even wanna go in the first place."

"Come on, you knew that you had to come." AJ told me.

"I know." I agreed, "But it doesn't mean that I wanted to."

"Yeah," AJ said, "I wouldn't have wanted to go, either, if it were someone I really cared about."

"You don't care about my mom?" I asked him. Well that was a bit rude!

AJ looked uncomfortable. "Well, uh, of course I care about her. But if it were somebody like... you or something that it happened to, then I just wouldn't have wanted to go, ya know?"

I shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

"Cuz you are one of the people who I really do care about." He told me.

"What about Natalie? You care about her?" I asked.

Please say no.

"Yeah," He told me, "We're hitting it off, Kel. I know you don't really like her, but she's nice."

Damn.

"She tries too hard." I told him.

"No she doesn't. She just acts like herself." AJ told me.

"Oh, and 'herself' is a try-hard... " I searched for another word, "Fool?"

AJ looked at me and shook his head. "You're weird, you know that?"

"Hell yes I do." I told him, "I'm the fucking weirdest person in the world."
51 by Ashleigh
"Hey, Kelly. How are you feeling?" Was the first thing Miss Casey asked me when she saw me.

"I'm okay." I answered her.

Miss Casey's apartment was where AJ and I went right after we checked into the hotel. We had to go in a cab. I have grown accustom to regular car cars. Not yellow smelly things with a smoking cab driver who won't shut the hell up.

"Oh, good, good." Miss Casey said. She gave me a hug and said, "It's so horrible what happened."

I know this, woman. I'm not friggin ignorant. "I know." I agreed.

Miss Casey let go of me and looked at AJ, who was standing a few feet behind me. "Alex, good to see you again." She said. But she didn't sound glad to see him.

"You too, Casey." He said, with the same unexcited tone as Miss Casey.

Miss Casey cleared her throat. I don't think that she likes AJ very much. I know that they've known each other since high school or something. I wonder if my mom stuck some weird thought in her head about him.

"Well," she said, "Why don't the two of you come on inside. Derek can't wait to see you, Kelly."

I followed Miss Casey inside, AJ trailing behind me. Hopefully, we could get out of here quick.

Going inside of Miss Casey's apartment brought back a lot of memories. A lot of unwanted memories. Even though all of my moms things were gone, it felt like she should still be there. I mean, this was like our second home for a while.

AJ closed the door and came up closer behind me. Derek heard the front door close and came running out of the living room to see me. "Kelly Kelly Kelly!" He yelled excitedly. He came over to me and grabbed hold of my legs.

"Hi, Derek. " I said to him. When he let go of me I kneeled down and hugged him. "I missed you." I said.

"I missed you, too." Derek told me, "And I got a new toy. I want to show you."

I stood and backed up to stand next to AJ. I didn't want to look at any damn toys. Miss Casey smiled at her son and said, "Kelly can look at it later, Derek. Right now, we're going to go in the living room and talk. Why don't you go to your room?"

"I don't wanna." Derek said.

"Well you have to." Miss Casey told him, "Now go."

Derek shuffled off towards his small room. Once Miss Casey was sure that he was in there, because she heard the door shut closed, she took AJ and I into her small, cramped living room. I took a seat on the old couch and pulled AJ down with me so he didn't stand around looking like an idiot.

Miss Casey sat in the armchair across the room. Then we got down to "business". That sounded so gay...

"Allison's funeral is Friday." She said, "I've found out that her mother and father are actually coming."

"Great, now I have to see them again." AJ said, "They'll give me dirty looks and when they approach me, it will be so that they can tell me what a horrible person I am for not staying with Allie."

"Yeah, well they're going to come over to me and try and be all nice even though they know that I'll hate them forever because they were never around for my mom when she needed help." I said.

"They won't come up to me. I doubt they'll remember me." Miss Casey said.

"Oh, I think that they will," AJ said, "The annoying, loud, redhead who used to barge in on them every hour of the day... Yeah, you're memorable."

"What about you?" Miss Casey asked, "They'll remember you not as their daughters boyfriend, but the boy that they always caught half naked on top of their daughter in her bedroom... " She paused for a moment before adding, "In the middle of the night."

I had to laugh at this. "Did you used to sneak in my mom's room?"

"Only once or twice... " AJ told me uncomfortably.

"And you're mad at me for dating a fifteen year old... " I said, shaking my head.

"I'm your father. I have to be mad at you for that." AJ said, "Hell, I'd be mad at you if you dated a 12 year old."

"Eew... I'm 14. I don't date children." I insisted.

"Yes, and a 14 year old is so much more adult than a 12 year old." AJ told me sarcastically.

"It is." I said.

Well it is!

We talked about the funeral for a while. Ugh. Funeral, death, black clothing (not a bad thing), and dirges. Wonderful. Just wonderful.
52 by Ashleigh
"What the hell do you mean there's only one bed in the room?" AJ exploded at the man at the front desk.

"I'm sorry," The man said, "We thought you only asked for one bed. We're very sorry. If you two would just wait a few hours, we can get you a new room."

"No," I spoke up, "We'll take this one."

"We will?" AJ asked, looking down at me.

"Yes, Alex, we will." I snapped.

I am tired and irritable. I have no patience for people who... question me. All I want is to get to the damn room and go to sleep!

"Okay... " AJ said, "We'll take this room."

"Alright!" The man said with a smile, "Follow Dominique and hell take you to your room."

AJ and I followed Dominique to the elevator in the lobby. AJ leaned over a bit as we stood in front of the elevator and asked, "We sharing the bed or do I sleep on the floor?"

The elevator opened and Dominique, AJ, and I walked in. "I'll take the floor. The almighty Backstreet Boy sure as hell can't."

I heard AJ mutter, "PMS." Under his breath.

I elbowed him hard in the stomach.

Well, he deserved it. I do NOT have PMS. I have DOS. Deprivation of Sleep.

Once we'd reached the 32nd floor, Dominique quickly got AJ and I to our large suite. Hmm... I guess it does pay to have a rich and famous dad. He does got the dough.

Dominique opened the door and asked if there was anything else that we'd be needing. AJ said no (Though I beg to differ... I could use some food.), so Dominique handed him the room key and scurried back towards the elevator.

Our things had already been brought up to the room. I pushed past AJ to get inside and saw the suitcases making a sort of barricade in front of the door. I literally kicked a few of AJ's out of my way so I could get to my own. DOS kicking in.

Anyway, I grabbed a change of clothes and my toothbrush and went right to the bathroom. I changed and then put my hair up. Then I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

When I got out of the bathroom, I saw AJ sitting in a chair flipping through the channels on the TV.

"You sure you don't want the bed? I could take the couch." He said, not taking his eyes off of the TV.

I looked around and spotted quite a large couch at the other end of the room. "Whoa, a couch in a hotel room. High class living here, Aje." I said.

"Here, you can sleep on the bed."

"No, I want to sleep on the couch." I insisted, "I have never had the pleasure of sleeping on a couch in a hotel room. Hell, I've never have the pleasure of having a couch in a hotel room period!"

I rushed over to the couch and flung myself onto it. "Awesome," I said, bouncing up and down a few times. "A bit squishy, but I think that I can manage."

AJ chuckled at my sheer delight of having a couch in the hotel room and said, "Sure, you go ahead and make yourself comfortable, but tomorrow it's my turn."

I smiled and then he went off to the bathroom. I got off of the couch and grabbed one of the pillows, and then struggled with pulling off all the blankets. Dibs! Ha ha! I pulled everything to the couch and got it all ready for me to sleep in.

I decided to fake sleep when AJ came in so we couldn?t argue about me taking everything off the bed. So I closed my eyes and waited for him to come out.

"Hey," I heard him say a few minutes later. I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't because I was supposed to be sleeping. Darn.

Just a few moments later, I opened one eye a bit to see what he was doing. He was in the closet, pulling out the spare blanket they had in there. I smiled. Ooh....I am good.
53 by Ashleigh
I woke up the next morning (Thursday) actually kind of happy. I mean, I was missing like, 3 weeks of school, I?m back in Nevada, and I was going to see Jared later that day.

AJ was still sleeping. I wondered how early it was. I checked the clock and it read 7:00. Kind of early, but I expected AJ to be awaked by then. Oh well, it gives me a chance to get in the damn shower first. That man is in the shower for like, an hour everyday. And considering the fact that there is only one bathroom in the stupid hotel room, if I wanted to get a shower I was going to have to get in first. So I grabbed my things out of my bag and went into the bathroom.

*******

"So, we doing anything at least somewhat interesting today?" I asked AJ later that morning.

"Uh, I'm getting coffee in a few minutes. That's about it." AJ told me.

"Ooh... fun." I said sarcastically.

AJ shrugged. "Hey, this is your town. You're the one who knows your way around. You can go do something if you want." He told me.

"Really?" I asked excitedly.

"Whatever. Just don't gamble." AJ told me.

"Damn... that's the best part." I joked.

"You gonna go with someone?" AJ asked me.

"Jared, but he's at school right now." I said, "Oh well, I'll wait until schools out over there. Then I can go with him."

"You two aren't going to like, do anything to get yourselves killed are you?" AJ asked, "Cuz if you are then I refuse to let you out of this hotel room."

"No, we're not gonna do anything stupid. We're just gonna go to one of the arcades and hang out, play some games, steal money from little kids. You know, the norm." I told him.

"Okay. Don't get arrested."

"I can't make any promises, but I'll try."

**********

"Hey Kelly."

"Hi Kelly, what's up."

"Miss Conner. What a pleasure to see you around here again. Not here to wreak havoc I hope."

"Oh, never Mrs. Lemberg. I'm simply here to pick up my best friend in the world, Jared." I told the teacher.

All these people whom I'd never spoken to were all saying hi to me and trying to start conversation. Even the people who used to be total bitches to me. Like Hillary Simon and her little "posse". Dumb bitches.

Mrs. Lemberg then told me, "I'm afraid that Jared has detention."

"What? What's he do?" I asked.

"He and another young man got into a fight." Mrs. Lemberg told me, "He has detention until 4:30 for the next two weeks."

"Okay... well, can I go inside and wait for him?" I asked.

"Yes, just wait in the office."

"Okay. Thanks."

Stupid Jared. Why does he have to go and get detention all the time? And how come he gets in a fight and only gets detention and not suspended?

Florida sucks.

I sat in the office and waited the whole freaking hour until detention got out. As soon as it hit 4:30, people started to pour out of the classroom that they held detention in. I recognized most of them. I walked out of the office and stood against the wall to wait for Jared. A few people who got out before him came to talk to me.

Ahh... refreshing isn't it, to talk to old friends?

But then they kinda started to huddle around me, so I couldn't see past them. Meaning I couldn't see Jared come out of the classroom.

"So, is there bitch surplus in Florida?" One guy, Karl Jenkins asked me.

"Uh, yeah. Have you guys seen Jared?" I asked.

"Yo Jared!" Someone yelled, "Come're. Kelly wants you."

I pushed my way out of the crowd of people and saw Jared standing in front of the school doors.

"Hey, Kel." He said as I walked over to him, "What are you doing here? Did you run away?"

"No... That's not it. I came here with my dad. I'll tell you why later." I answered him, "Come on, let's go."

So Jared followed me outside of the school where people were waiting for their parents.

"Is your dumbass dad here?" Jared asked me.

"He's at the hotel, and he's not a dumbass." I told him.

Wow, was that me who said that? Hmm...

"Well, from what you've said about him he seems like a dumbass."

"Well he's not, okay?"

"Fine, fine. Whatever you say." Jared said, "So where are we going?"

"I don?t know, anywhere." I answered.

"Okay, but I've got to be home by 6. I've got myself a date tonight." Jared said proudly.

"Oh, do I know her?" I asked.

"Yeah... um, it's Christa Youngs." Jared told me.

"Christa Youngs?!" I exclaimed.

I hated Christa Youngs. I've hated her since the first grade! She was always a bitch to me. And Jared! Why the hell would he want to date her? I asked him this.

"Because, well, she's changed. She's a lot nicer to me now." Jared told me.

"Fine, date her. I don't care. Just forget about how bitchy she was to you before." I said, "It's probably all just some big joke her and her little crew is playing on you."

Jared sent me this death glare. "What makes you think that? Can't someone else like me besides you, Kelly?"

"What do you mean besides me? I never liked you like that! I was just your damn friend."

"Yeah, you were." Jared said.

I didn't know what to say. This was just falling apart now. If I said one more thing then it would probably break up me and Jared's friendship forever.

"'I'm just gonna leave, okay? I'll talk to you later. Maybe." I told him.

When I started walking towards the city bus stop, Jared yelled to me, "Don't count on it!"

Jerk.
54 by Ashleigh
"Are you sure you're okay?" AJ asked me.

"I'm fine." I snapped at him, "God, how many times do I have to tell you?"

"Sorry, you just seem different." AJ told me.

"Oh yeah, and you would know how I act."

"I do know how you act. You've only been living with me the past three months... "

"Look, can you just leave me alone?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure, whatever." AJ said, "You ready to go get something to eat?"

"I thought I told you to leave me alone!!" I screamed at him.

"I was just... " AJ gave up and shook his head, "Never mind!"

I sat down on the bed and turned on the TV. I was mad. Pissed off at Jared. He's chosen Christa over me! And I was supposed to be his best friend. But I guess now that he has Christa he doesn't need me to be his best friend. He can go hang out with the preppies and the jocks.

I mean, I know I'm all the way in Florida, but he should still be thinking that I'm still coming back. He didn't know about my mom and that now I'm going to be staying in Florida for freaking ever. So he should have been happier to see me. What the hell was his problem?

"Sudden interest in the Discovery Channel?" AJ's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I looked at the TV and sure enough, it was on the Discovery Channel. I sighed. "What can I say? The mating of dolphins facinates me." I told him.

"What happened today? You can tell me." AJ said.

I wouldn't tell him. I just stayed seated on the bed silent.

"Well if you're not going to tell me now, then I'll force it out of you while we go eat." AJ said, "Come on. Get up."

I stood up and followed him out of the hotel room. When we got onto the elevator, he asked me, "What'd you and Jared do today?"

I glared at him. How dare he bring up that jerk. "Nothing." I told him.

"Something happened between you two, huh?" AJ asked me.

Damn. He knows. How does he always seem to know? He doesn't know me!

"What'd you do to him?" AJ asked.

"What makes you think that I did something to him?" I yelled.

"It's just-"

I cut him off by yelling, "Don't talk to me!"

**********

"What do you want?" AJ asked me when we got to the McDonalds.

"Whatever." I said, "I'm going to go wait outside."

I left the crowded McDonalds to go sit on a bench outside. I watched as people walked by. Drunk, drunk, tourist, drug dealer, tourist, tourist, tourist with their family, drunk, Jared and Christa, tourist...

"Why hello there Kelly Conner." Christa said, walking up right in front of me.

"Hi Christa." I said, glaring at her.

Jared came up behind her. "Come on, Chris. Let's go. The movie starts in 10 minutes."

The movie theater was right next to the McDonalds. That is where everyone went on their dates.

"But JJ, I'm talking to Kelly. I haven't seen her in forever." Christa told Jared, "So, where have you been?"

Right before I answered, AJ came out of the McDonalds holding two bags. "Kay, I got you one of those damn Big and Tasty meal things cuz there was nothing else."

"Who is this, Kelly?" Christa asked me in her stupid dumb preppy voice.

"Why do you care?" I asked her.

"Well because, Kelly, I am very interested in what has been going on in your life." Christa lied.

AJ spoke up, "I'm Kelly's dad."

"No one asked you." I snapped at him.

He ignored my comment and asked, "Who are you two? Friends of Kelly's?"

I laughed. "Yeah right!" I exclaimed.

"I'm Christa, and this is Jared, my boyfriend."

"Oh," AJ said. He looked at me and asked, "Jared, your best friend Jared?"

"Former best friend." I heard Jared mutter.

"What are you talking about, JJ? Are you and Kelly in a fight?" Christa asked, "What'd you do to him, Kelly?"

"I didn't do anything to him, okay?! God damn, why is it always me who's done something?!" I yelled.

Christa then turned to Jared, or JJ as he was now being called, and asked, "What'd she do to you?"

"She's just being a bitch, that's all." He answered.

I looked at AJ. He was watching with great interest. I had expected him to say something at that last little comment, but he stayed quiet.

"Well that's not very nice, Jared." Christa said, "I'm sure that Kelly had a very good reason for acting how she did."

That was it. I blew up. "Would you all stop talking about me like I'm not here! None of you know what's going on in my life!" I screamed.

And then I stood up and ran.
55 by Ashleigh
And ran and ran. I ran as far as I could. But after I'd run for a few minutes, I'd realized how stupid I was. It was nighttime meaning it was dark, cold, and dangerous. I hadn't even been paying attention to where I'd been going.

I stopped running and looked around. Normally, I'd know exactly where I was, but since it was so dark and I hadn't been here in a while, I was completely lost. I'd turned a lot of corners while I'd ran, and I'd ended up in a dark alley somewhere. There were no people walking around, and I was pretty sure that if I could see anything, there'd be a bunch of homeless people sitting around.

I was scared. I mean, you would be too if you were lost in Las Vegas! I was scared that someone would mug me. Or molest me or something.

I began to walk, hoping that I'd find my way out of the alley and back onto the strip or somewhere, anywhere that it was light and I'd be able to find my way around.

After looking around for about five minutes, I wound up on a street where there were a bunch of casinos. Lights were flashing and I could see a lot better, but I realized that I had no idea where I was.

I sat down on a bench at the street corner, hoping that AJ would come and find me before any of these creepy old guys did anything to me. Men kept walking by, looking at me, so I kept my head low. Who knew what kind of sick ideas these creeps had locked up inside of their heads... I shuddered to think about it.

I sat and waited for like, 10 minutes... It hadn't even taken me that long to run this far. I started to wonder if AJ was even looking for me. Maybe he expected me to go back to him. Or maybe he'd run after me when I'd ran off and he'd gotten lost himself.

Whatever the case, WHAT IS TAKING HIM SO LONG?

Another 10-15 minutes passed by. I felt like crying, which is really stupid because 1) I don't cry, and 2) Someone will find me. I stood up and tried to find a pay phone or something so I could call AJ's cell phone.

I finally spotted one a little ways down the street. I walked quickly, but dared not run because if you run, it gives the creeps and weirdo's a better reason to grab at you. When I'd reached the pay phone, and picked up the phone, but heard no dial tone. That's when I realized that some moron had cut the damn cord.

I decided to look for a hotel, so I could use their phone. There had to be one somewhere around here. I walked down the street a little ways more in search for one. When I spotted one, I was a little afraid to go in because it was old and ratty. But hey, this is better than being raped and killed out here.

I walked in and walked to the front desk. A bored looking man was sitting behind it, reading a newspaper. He looked up at me. "Can I help you?" He asked in a nasally voice.

"Um, yes. Is there a phone that I could use?" I asked.

"The phone is for guests only." He told me.

"You don't understand, sir. I'm lost and I need to call my dad." I explained to him.

"There's a pay phone a little ways down the street. You can use that. It's what it's there for." He said.

"Don't ya think I've tried that?" I asked, beginning to lose my patience, "It doesn't work."

"Well I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to find another way? It's policy. I'm not supposed to let you use the phone." He said.

"Can't you just pretend that I'm a guest here and let me make a phone call?"

"I'm afraid not, ma'am."

"Just let me use the damn phone!!" I screamed at him, all patience completely kaput.

"Fine," He said, the tone of his voice made it obvious he was annoyed with me, "Just make it snappy. If the manager catches you, there will be H to pay."

"Thank you so so much." I said, picking up the receiver to the old phone. I dialed AJ's cell phone number and waited for him to pick up.

It kept on ringing though, and I was afraid that he wouldn't answer it. Maybe he had it turned off or something. I was about to hang up, but then AJ's voice came on the line.

"Hello?" He answered.

"AJ? It's me, Kelly... um, I'm kinda lost." I told him.

"Yeah, obviously. Where the hell are you?" AJ asked.

"Well, see, if I knew that then I wouldn't be lost now would I?" I asked.

"Just tell me where you are." AJ said.

"I'm at the... " I looked at the pen lying on the desk, "Rosebery Hotel."

"No idea where that is. What's the street name?" AJ asked me.

"Lemme check." I said. I looked at the man who seemed to be growing impatient. "What's the street name?" I asked him.

"Court and Pyle." He answered me.

I repeated this to AJ.

"Okay," He said, "Just wait in the hotel. I'll get there as soon as I can... If I can find it."

"Okay, please hurry." I told him.

"I will," He assured me.

"Bye."

"Bye, I love you." He said.

"Mmm hmm."

I hung up the phone, thanked the man once more, and then asked, "Do you mind if I wait here for my dad? He'll just be a few minutes."

"Sure, why not. Just don't ask to use the phone anymore."
56 by Ashleigh
AJ arrived about half an hour later. And he brought Jared and Christa with him.

"What's he doing here?" I asked AJ rudely when we got to his car.

"He was helping me find you. I don't know where anything is around here." AJ answered me.

"You didn't have to run off like that you know." Jared said to me from the backseat when AJ finally forced me into the car.

"And you didn't have to piss me off." I said.

"I wasn't trying to piss you off." Jared told me.

"And I didn't try to get lost. We're even now." I said, "Can we, oh I don't know...drive?"

When we were driving down the street, Jared said, "If I had known why you were acting the way you were, then I would have understood. I felt so stupid after AJ told me about your mom. Which I'm really sorry about, by the way."

"Sure you are." I muttered.

"I am." Jared insisted, "Now you're never gonna come back."

"You should be happy about that, J," I said, "See, now you can date all the sluts in the school."

"I'm not a slut!" Christa exclaimed.

I turned around in my seat to face her. "Oh give it up. Everyone knows about you." I said.

"Stop fighting. Jesus, the girlfriend and the best friend thing just will not work out... " Jared said.

"What happened to 'former best friend'?" I asked.

"I was just mad. You're still my best friend, Kelly. You just got to learn to be nicer to my girlfriends. Whether they be Christa or Britney Spears." Jared told me.

"Ooh... that's a tough one... Not being your friend or tolerating Christa?" I thought for a moment and then said, "You know, I have met a lot of people in Florida who could take your place in a second... "

"Chris." AJ said with a laugh.

"Shut your mouth." I said to him.

"Who's Chris?" Jared asked.

"I'm just saying his name, Kel. Jesus Christ." AJ said.

"Who's Chris?" Jared repeated, but I ignored him.

"Well no one here needs to know about Chris, okay?" I said, "Mind your business."

"Who the hell is Chris?!?!" Jared yelled, "Tell me before I go crazy!"

"Her boyfriend," AJ said, at the same time I said, "A friend."

"Your boyfriend?" Jared asked, "You have a boyfriend that you didn't even bother to tell me about, and your getting mad at me for going out on a few uneventful dates with Christa? I mean, I haven't even gotten her shirt off yet!"

"Hey!" Christa yelled, "Just because I want to save myself, unlike Kelly, is no reason for you to say that. It's just a matter of time until you see them!"

"Gross!" I yelled, "Okay, look, I am one-hundred percent virgin. I haven't taken my shirt, or pants for that matter, off for ANYONE! Unlike you, Miss Easy."

"That's enough!" AJ yelled, "The screaming and fighting will stop now. Unless you want me to kick Jared and Christa out of the car and let them find their own ways home."

"Go ahead," I said, "I don't care."

But Jared and Christa obviously did, because they were quiet the rest of the ride. We dropped off Christa at her house, and then drove for another 10 minutes to Jared;s apartment.

"When are you leaving?" Jared asked me before he got out of the car.

"Next week." I answered him.

"Oh, maybe we can hang out or something. Call me." He said.

"Don't count on it." I said with a traitorous smile.
57 by Ashleigh
"You ready to go?" AJ asked me the next day. It was right before my moms funeral.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I said.

"Good, let's go." AJ said, "I bet you can't wait to meet your grandparents, huh?"

"Oh yeah, it's gonna be the highlight of my freakin' life." I said sarcastically.

AJ and I left, got onto the elevator, and then left the hotel to head to his car.

"It's too bright." I heeded.

"Yes. It is. Very bright. That's usually what happens in the daytime." AJ told me.

I rolled my eyes. "That's not what I meant you retard. I know it gets bright during the day. I'm just saying that when there is a funeral, it's supposed to be dark and rainy and gloomy." I said.

"If that were the case, then it would be dark and cold and rainy everyday." AJ reminded me.

"If only that were the way it was...Then world life would be complete." I said.

After I said that, we just got into AJ's car and drove away. Buh bye hotel!

"So, who all's gonna be there?" I asked AJ.

"Uh...you, me, Nick, Brian, Howie, Kevin, your grandparents, Casey and your Uncle David.Oh yeah, and that Jonathan." AJ told me, "A few other people, too...I just don't know who they are."

"So my mama knew the Backstreet Boys? I pity her." I said.

"Yeah," AJ said, ignoring my little joke, "They were all friends. Damn, for a while I thought you were Kevin's kid."

"Whaaa??" I asked, "That's nasty..."

"I know. They were just really close." AJ said.

"I can't look at that man the same way anymore." I said, "Actually, I don't look at him at all anyway."

AJ laughed. "Ha ha ha. Whoo, Kevin being your dad. That'd be disgusting."

*********

I have come to the inevitable conclusion that funerals are boring. And a load of friggin crap. My grandparents gave this little speech or something, and everything they said about my mom was a load of shit. Maybe it was true back when she was FIVE, but after that it was a lie.They were all like, "Allison was a wonderful woman. She was bright and the best daughter we could ever ask for."

Okay, yeah, they kinda disowned her. And they went into something about how "she followed all of their rules". Was having a kid at the age of 16 one of the rules? How interesting...

Afterwards, since AJ and I arrived late (heh heh), I had to meet everyone. Yuck. Well, they all pissed me off. My grandparents were all amazed or something about how much I looked like my mom, and my Uncle David tried to be funny (but he wasn't), and he seemed to hate AJ more than anyone in the world. It was funny, actually.

I stuck close to AJ the whole time. At one point, my grandma was freaking me out so much I grabbed his arm and hid behind him. Come on, Daddy! Kill the old woman!

Did I mention that they hate him, also? They seemed to think that he wasn't a good parent and were interrogating him. Where does Kelly go to school? Is she happy there? Is she hanging out with the "right crowd"?

And then my absolute favorite part of the evening came! We got to meet Jonathan! Wee! Wow I hated him so much. So did AJ. When the two of them met each other, it was quite interesting. AJ just kinda stood the glaring at him as he talked to the both of us. And every time Jonathan asked AJ a question, he answered in monosyllables. When Jonathan asked me crap, I'd answer in such long sentences that he'd have to stop me.

Then the funniest, best, most freaking awesome part of the day happened...AJ suddenly said, right when Jonathan was in the middle of a story, in front of me, my uncle, and my grandfather, "I wanna kill you so much right now."

I laughed, my uncle stared, jaw dropped, and my grandfather said, "Hold your tongue, young man."

"You want to kill me? What'd I do to you?" Jonathan asked.

"It's what you did to everyone here. This was all your fault. If you hadn't decided to be so fuckin stupid then this wouldn't have happened!"

"Damn straight!" I said.

"Shut up, little girl. Leave this between you and your dad here." Jonathan said to me.

I was so appalled at this guy saying this to me, that I didn?t even pay attention to the rest of AJ and Jonathan's conversation. All I knew was that they were yelling. I started paying attention when they began to throw punches.

"Yeah!" I yelled, "Go AJ!"

My uncle was trying to get AJ off of Jonathan, and my grandpa was yelling things. Telling them to get off each other.

"Come on, David," I said to my uncle, "Let em fight!"

Everyone was crowding around now. I decided that I should try and get Uncle David off of AJ. I WANTED SOME ACTION, DAMMIT!

"David! Get the hell off of him! You gotta see this! AJ is kicking his ass!" I said.

Jonathan, who was obviously a very angry man, yelled, "You little bitch!" To me, and then pushed AJ down and started going after me! ME! The perfect little precious angelic girl!

Luckily, someone came and friggin punched him out before he got too close to me.

When he was down on the ground, I looked down at him and said, "Who's the beeyatch now?" I was prepared to kick him, but AJ grabbed me around my waist and pulled me away from him.

"That's enough, Kel. Come on." AJ said. I looked at him and saw that he has a fat lip and a bloody nose. Cool. My dad looks like a mutant.

"Please, AJ? Just one good kick!" I begged.

"No." AJ said, "We're leaving now."

As AJ was pulling me away, I said, "Good job, AJ. You fuckin almost killed him. Too bad you didn't."

"Yeah, well I didn't get away without any battle wounds." AJ reminded me.

"But yours aren't as bad as his." I said, "You were kicking his ass!"

AJ smiled. "Well yeah. But you shouldn't have gotten in the middle of it." He told me, "If Nick hadn't come along and punched him, you could have gotten hurt."

"I know." I said, "But I got caught up in the heat of the moment. I mean, can you blame me? He did kill my mom."

"I know."

"And for that he must die."

"I agree wholeheartedly."
58 by Ashleigh
A few minutes later Nick came around looking vaguely harassed. "Anyone care to tell me what exactly was going on back there?" He asked as he fixed his jacket, "I got in the middle of it without knowing what was happening. Who the hell was that guy anyway?"

"Oh, that was Jonathan. The momma killer." I told him.

"Yeah, thanks for keeping him off of this one," AJ told Nick, wiping the excess blood from his nose on his coat, "This one doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut sometimes."

I nodded in agreement. "And it seems as though father dearest is a little quick with his fists. That could get you into trouble on day. You'd better watch it."

Nick rolled his eyes and said, "Well, Jonathan left yelling that he was going to press charges."

"Shit...this is the second time in a year that this has happened. Kelly, you're like a lawsuit magnet." AJ told me.

"I did not have anything to do with this one...Yes, the last one was all my fault, I am mature enough to admit. But this one was your doing." I told him.

"You know, she's right," Nick agreed, "You did kind of jump on him. I don't know for what, but still."

"I jumped him because...Well, he killed Allison and...he started to insult my little girl. My parental instincts got in the way of my common sense," I threw him a funny look at that one. He's one strange, strange man, "And I started throwing punches with every intention to beat him until he was dead. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get away without some injuries."

"If it's any consolation he looked a lot worse than you." Nick said.

I saw a slight smile cross AJ's face at that. I could tell he was proud that he gave this guy the beating of a lifetime. But the smiled faded almost as quickly as it had come and he whined, "I'm gonna get sued now...This sucks!"

I giggled and said, "You are so screwed. This guy looks like a gold digger. He's gonna sue you for all you got!"

"You're going to end up living in poverty, then. Are you okay with that?"

"Hell, I did for 11 years. I think I can handle it. Besides, you've got rich friends." I reminded him, looking over at Nick.

"Uh, I have a kid. That's all I need to take care of for a while." Nick informed me.

I pouted. "You wouldn't take in a poor friends child?" I asked him, "That's kind of mean..."

Nick shrugged. "Maybe if you're nice to me I'll let you live with me for a few minutes until the men in the white coats come and take you away."

I smiled and said, "Okay! They're really nice..."

AJ rolled his eyes and grabbed my arm. "We should leave. Get far, far away from this place. Someone is gonna kill us."

"You." I reminded him, "Someone is going to kill you. Not me. I didn't do anything."

"You angered the psycho. You're going to get killed, too." AJ said. He waved good-bye to Nick who was backing away from us. We must scare him.

"But you'd protect me, right?" I asked AJ as we walked towards his car.

"No."

"How mean...Why don't you just throw me out on the streets. Since you obviously *don't* care."

AJ took his car keys out of his pocket and answered me. "Because then I would have to go to jail or parenting classes, and I don't have time for that, mmkay?"

"You don't have time for anything, yet you do nothing," I said thoughtfully, "That's just weird."

"I do plenty," AJ insisted, "I buy food..."

"From McDonalds."

"I...uh...pick you up from school when you get suspended."

"Which is all basically your fault if you really think about it."

"I pick you up when you run away from home."

"And I run away from home why...? Because I don't like Florida. It's too hot."

"It's just as hot as it is here," AJ told me. Then he continued, "I look for you when you get lost in your *hometown*."

"Because you kept me from here for so long." I said, "Anything else?"

AJ sighed as we reached his car. "Nope, nothing else." He said sadly, unlocking the doors.

"Loser..."

"I can't have a life anymore," AJ told me, "I always end up having to get you from somewhere."

When we got into the car I said, "You have Natalie. Just do her and you'll feel like there's something to live for."

AJ hit my arm and said, "God, don't talk about that."

"I know...it's gross, huh? I just thought about my daddy doing somebody," I shuddered, "Please, oh please send me to therapy."
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=573