Perfection by Carrie_Swenglish
Summary: Striving for perfection sometimes has serious consequences when you're growing up and the youngest in the group.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Group
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 104 Completed: Yes Word count: 271544 Read: 199940 Published: 10/24/05 Updated: 12/02/05

1. 1 by Carrie_Swenglish

2. 2 by Carrie_Swenglish

3. 3 by Carrie_Swenglish

4. 4 by Carrie_Swenglish

5. 5 by Carrie_Swenglish

6. 6 by Carrie_Swenglish

7. 7 by Carrie_Swenglish

8. 8 by Carrie_Swenglish

9. 9 by Carrie_Swenglish

10. 10 by Carrie_Swenglish

11. 11 by Carrie_Swenglish

12. 12 by Carrie_Swenglish

13. 13 by Carrie_Swenglish

14. 14 by Carrie_Swenglish

15. 15 by Carrie_Swenglish

16. 16 by Carrie_Swenglish

17. 17 by Carrie_Swenglish

18. 18 by Carrie_Swenglish

19. 19 by Carrie_Swenglish

20. 20 by Carrie_Swenglish

21. 21 by Carrie_Swenglish

22. 22 by Carrie_Swenglish

23. 23 by Carrie_Swenglish

24. 24 by Carrie_Swenglish

25. 25 by Carrie_Swenglish

26. 26 by Carrie_Swenglish

27. 27 by Carrie_Swenglish

28. 28 by Carrie_Swenglish

29. 29 by Carrie_Swenglish

30. 30 by Carrie_Swenglish

31. 31 by Carrie_Swenglish

32. 32 by Carrie_Swenglish

33. 33 by Carrie_Swenglish

34. 34 by Carrie_Swenglish

35. 35 by Carrie_Swenglish

36. 36 by Carrie_Swenglish

37. 37 by Carrie_Swenglish

38. 38 by Carrie_Swenglish

39. 39 by Carrie_Swenglish

40. 40 by Carrie_Swenglish

41. 41 by Carrie_Swenglish

42. 42 by Carrie_Swenglish

43. 43 by Carrie_Swenglish

44. 44 by Carrie_Swenglish

45. 45 by Carrie_Swenglish

46. 46 by Carrie_Swenglish

47. 47 by Carrie_Swenglish

48. 48 by Carrie_Swenglish

49. 49 by Carrie_Swenglish

50. 50 by Carrie_Swenglish

51. 51 by Carrie_Swenglish

52. 52 by Carrie_Swenglish

53. 53 by Carrie_Swenglish

54. 54 by Carrie_Swenglish

55. 55 by Carrie_Swenglish

56. 56 by Carrie_Swenglish

57. 57 by Carrie_Swenglish

58. 58 by Carrie_Swenglish

59. 59 by Carrie_Swenglish

60. 60 by Carrie_Swenglish

61. 61 by Carrie_Swenglish

62. 62 by Carrie_Swenglish

63. 63 by Carrie_Swenglish

64. 64 by Carrie_Swenglish

65. 65 by Carrie_Swenglish

66. 66 by Carrie_Swenglish

67. 67 by Carrie_Swenglish

68. 68 by Carrie_Swenglish

69. 69 by Carrie_Swenglish

70. 70 by Carrie_Swenglish

71. 71 by Carrie_Swenglish

72. 72 by Carrie_Swenglish

73. 73 by Carrie_Swenglish

74. 74 by Carrie_Swenglish

75. 75 by Carrie_Swenglish

76. 76 by Carrie_Swenglish

77. 77 by Carrie_Swenglish

78. 78 by Carrie_Swenglish

79. 79 by Carrie_Swenglish

80. 80 by Carrie_Swenglish

81. 81 by Carrie_Swenglish

82. 82 by Carrie_Swenglish

83. 83 by Carrie_Swenglish

84. 84 by Carrie_Swenglish

85. 85 by Carrie_Swenglish

86. 86 by Carrie_Swenglish

87. 87 by Carrie_Swenglish

88. 88 by Carrie_Swenglish

89. 89 by Carrie_Swenglish

90. 90 by Carrie_Swenglish

91. 91 by Carrie_Swenglish

92. 92 by Carrie_Swenglish

93. 93 by Carrie_Swenglish

94. 94 by Carrie_Swenglish

95. 95 by Carrie_Swenglish

96. 96 by Carrie_Swenglish

97. 97 by Carrie_Swenglish

98. 98 by Carrie_Swenglish

99. 99 by Carrie_Swenglish

100. 100 by Carrie_Swenglish

101. 101 by Carrie_Swenglish

102. 102 by Carrie_Swenglish

103. 103 by Carrie_Swenglish

104. Epilogue by Carrie_Swenglish

1 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection-Chapter 1

”Thatīs it, Move your body. Yes.. one, two, three, spiiiinnn!” Fatima Robinson, dance instructor for the Backstreet Boys yelled as they were practicing moves for their upcoming American/Canadian tour “Backstreet's Back.”

They had been practicing for the last three hours almost non stop and things were starting to take itīs toll on their body. Nick Carter, who would turn 18 next month and the youngest in the group was doing his best to keep up with the rest of the guys. His joints were sore from dancing and sweat poured down his back.

“Canīt we take a break?” he panted as he bent down, hands on his knees. The rest of the boys said nothing, but they looked as worn out as Nick felt.

“No,” Fatima shook her head, “We have to get this move straight..come on, one more time!” She was pressing the boys until there was a taste of blood in the back of their throats. Nick groaned once more and he did his best to make the spin.

What he didnīt calculate was that he had to take an extra step and as he turned around he felt his world go 180 degrees. “Whoaaaa!!” Before he knew it he fell. Flat on his butt.

“Clutz,” AJ laughed and the rest of the boys as well as Fatima followed in to the laughter. Not wanting to make a fool of himself Nick grinned too.

“When will you ever set this straight?” Kevin asked impatiently, “I donīt wanna spend the whole christmas working on this!”

The dark haired man was upset that they had to spend the better part of the holiday rehearsing when they could be at home with their families, celebrating instead. They were going to kick off the tour over the New Year in Montreal. This descision had Kevin a bit upset since he had looked forward to be spending New years Eve with his girlfriend Kristin and now would have to spend it with the guys instead. The feeling was mutual in the group. But what could they do? Management called all the shots.

“I canīt do this,” Nick muttered where he sat on the floor. “I need a break.”

“Donīt we all?” Howie sighed. He was not a happy fellow either since he wouldnīt be allowed to spend the holiday with his family and his mom that he loved and admired over everything else. Brian said nothing and instead offered Nick his hand. Taking it gratefully Nick reached out for it, but as Brian pulled him up he said, ”Jeeze Nick, youīre getting heavy.”

The words hit him like cold water had rinsed all over him. He knew that he wasnīt as slim as he had been when he was a scrawny teenager, although not fat, yet it hurt when someone commented on his weight. There was some laughter coming form the group and Nick did his best to laugh it off. Glancing at Brian he saw that he was on the brim of exhaustion and he didnīt add any further fuel to the conversation. Brian had been working very hard, like the rest of him, but he had also been recently to the doctor where they had given him the news that he had to have open heart surgery due to a hole that they had found in his heart.

Nick knew that this frightened his friend dearly and he was not as happy as he used to be. More sullen and in his own thoughts.

Once Nick got on his feet he brushed his sweatpants off saying, “Canīt we do this tomorrow instead?” He knew that he sounded whiney, but couldnīt help it since a headache was starting to form in his front lobe.

Fatima looked straight at him, shaking her head slowly, “I know that youīre tired, but NO, you have to get these moves straight and I donīt care if you have to work the whole Christimas Eve. Understand?” She was a brilliant instructor, but she could aslo be a bit rough when she wanted to achive something, and this she often had to practice on Nick who had a way of getting whiney whenever hard work was required. She knew that Nick was a perfectionist and therefore she pushed him to the edge, knowing that he needed it as well as had to learn not to do everything the easy way.

“Okay, okay,” Nick felt defeated, putting his hands up in the air. “Turn on the music. Iīll do it.” With that he started to practice the dance moves furiously and he didnīt even stop when the boys called a break one hour later. He decided to show them. That he was no clutz.

*********************************

Christmas eve went past fast. Nick had spent the evening with his family and relatives and he had stuffed himself full of goodies and food for three days straight. It was a delicious meal and his mother had spent the better part of her time in kitchen cooking up all sorts of delights. This reminded him when he was young, before joining the group. It felt good to be together with family and he had played all sorts of games with his little brother and sisters.

Now it was time to go back to normal again. About as normal as it can gets when you are in the middle of doing promotion and concerts all across Canada and the states.

“Bye Mom,” Nick hugged his mother long and hard, not wanting to let go of his grip. He didnīt feel like touring and had actually enjoyed being at home, chillin’, watching tv, listening to music. The fact that he would be on his own for more than a month might also have contributed that he felt alone and a bit sad. His parents didnīt have the chance to follow him on and his Uncle Jack, who often accompanied him couldnīt come either. This left Nick on his own.

After reassuring his parents about hundred times that he would do just fine, he heard the van honk outside. Looking through the window he saw Howie waving from the window.

“Iīll better be going then,” the last syllables were dragged out, before he picked up his sportsbag and walked outside. Nick wasnīt much of a packer and he tried to take as little things with him as possible. AJ and Howie was the worst in bringing suitcases and they had taken with them 3 each. They were suppose to fly to Halifax in Nova Scotia where they would make a performance the same night. Then they would take the bus down to Quebec before they would head off to Montreal and the beginning of the tour.

Brian and Kevin would meet them in Halifax and Nick's company during the flight would be AJ, Howie and of course Lou, Johnny and Donna. He couldnīt exactly say that he looked forward to this.

“Hey guys,” Nick said cheerfully as he opened the van door.

“Cha Nicky,” Howie greeted him with a smile and AJ peered down behind his glasses, giving him a short nod.

“Hello Nick,” Donna said as she took his trunk, putting it in the back.

“Youīre ready?” Lou asked as he sat down in the drivers seat. Johnny sat with him and Nick had the “opportunity” to sit next to Donna.

“Sure,” He crawled into the small van and waved to his family who waited on the porch. The ride over to the airport was very uneventful and he managed to doze on and off a few times. It was early in the morning and Nick, not being much of a morning person was for once grateful for the rocking that the van provided.

They didnīt have to wait long until it was time to board the plane. The early flight as well as sunglass covered faces made it possible to escape the fans.

“Yo man,” AJ said as he tried to get Nick's attention, “check out that girl.” He motioned with his head towards a good looking brunette that stood by the check in desk.

“Yup, she is a chick.” Howie commented and Nick couldnīt help to blush. Even if he was womanizer he got all nervous being around girls that looked like models. His hands went sweaty and he didnīt know what to do with himself. She looked his way, smiling.

Nick's legs felt like jello and AJ had to hold him up or he would tilt to his side. “You ok man?” he asked a bit concerned. Nick nodded franetically. The girl smiled again and he decided that as soon as he got a chance he would go over and talk to this fox. If he was lucky she was heading with the same plane.

“Mandy,” a boy called out for her and Nick could feel a pang of sadness when he saw the boy embrace the girl. He had lived in Tampa for the better part of his life, but never set his eyes on this girl before.

“Looks like she already have a boyfriend,” Howie said, patting Nick on his shoulder.

“Yeah.” Nick sighed as he picked up the sportsbag, walking behind the guys towards the exit. He couldnīt help looking back at the girl again. There was something special about her and he made a mental note that if he ever met her one more time he would go up and chat her up.

“Come on, stud.” Bone grinned as he saw that Nick had turned around again, looking at the girl. “Canada is waiting and Iīm pretty sure that there are some other hot looking babes that are more than willing to get into your pants.”

“AJ!” Howie sounded shocked, but got a grin back. It was fun to tease Sweet D’.

Once they boarded the aircraft Nick sank back in his seat, closing his eyes. He never liked flying since he often got airsick and was afraid that they would crash any second. Goíng up and down was the worst and he was actually happy that he had skipped breakfast once the plane took off to higher altitudes.

“What did you do for Christmas?” Donna asked as she sat across the aisle, together with her husband and Lou.

“Not much, ate like a pig,” Nick replied.

“Yeah it shows,” Bone commented, patting Nick on his stomach. “You look like youīre pregnant.”

“I do not!” Nick felt offended. Okay, he might have gained some weight, but not at all in the rate that his friend was suggesting.

“You need to do some work outs, “ Howie commented and Nick felt pissed. Were the guys going to nag to him about his looks all the way to Canada? Howie was some kind of health nut and AJ took good care of his body too, lifting. He knew that he wasnīt fat or anything, it was just that this past year he had changed his looks and was starting to mature more and more. With this came that he was getting taller, almost as tall as Kevin, as well as getting a belly. Yet there were no need for concern.

After sleeping all the way, missing two meals and a movie it was time for the plane to go down. He grabbed the armrest tightly, closing his eyes when he felt the plane starting to go down.

“Take it easy,” Howie comforted him, “nothing will happen.” Bone was for once not making any cruel jokes about Nicks situation and as soon as the plane touched ground he wanted out from this hellhole.

Not many people knew what time the Backstreet Boy's would arrive and as he walked towards the terminal people turned around, pointing at him. “Look itīs Nick Carter!” one person yelled and he could have ripped off their heads. Dealing with fans was the last thing he wanted right now.

Within seconds the airport was filled with people coming over to them and Johnny and Lou did their best to protect Nick, Howie and AJ from a destiny of becoming run down by fans. They were guided towads a waiting wan and had to run through the crowd of fans that were waiting outside the airport terminal.

“Nick! Nick I love you,” the girls screamed, grabbing at his clothes. Panic surged up in him and he felt grateful when Lou helped him into the bus. Inside he was met with a surprise, Kevin and Brian had already checked in and they were waiting for them, watching the riot that occurred outside.

“Hey Frack,” Brian said with a smile as they were safe and sound again. He patted on the seat next to him and Nick sat down immediately. They did a short wrestling match as they met each other again after being away over the holdidays.

“Wassup dude?”

“Nothing much, sitting here. Bored,” Brian said and soon they were engrossed in a conversation dealing with family, Christmas gifts and Nintendo.

Their chat was soon interrupted by Kevin turning to them a bit formal, “So Nick how was things over at your family?”

“Pretty good.” Nick looked down since he didnīt want Kevin to see the tears that dwelled in his eyes when he talked about his family. He was very private about his private life, not wanting to reveal too much. One of the main things for acting like this was that the more he talked about his siblings the more he missed them.

“What did you do?” Kevin didnīt sound too interested and before Nick had a chance to answer AJ butted into the conversation, “Fatass here has been eating junk, canīt you see that he has gained some weight?” AJ was suppose to make it as a joke and he grinned widely afterwards, slapping Nick hard on his back.

The blonde however wasnīt too amused and didnīt approve of the laughter and jokes that followed afterwards. “Knock it off!”

“Jeeze you're moody,” AJ mumbled as he muttered some not so nice words.

“I hope your not going to be in this mood all the time,” Kevin stated and Nick felt angry. Maybe it was the age difference between them, but recently they had a very hard time dealing with each other. Nick knew that Kevin tought of him as a baby and this upset him grately.

He bit his lip,there were no use in starting a fight. After all it was only a few minutes since they had met and they had a loooooong tour ahead of them.

2 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection-Chapter 2

”I'm telling you, the management is trying to screw us up. Iīve talked with some people and they say that we got a very bad deal. We have to do something, like acting since Lou is keeping the most of the profit in his own pocket,” Kevin whispered to Brian as they sat talking in the backroom on the bus.

They were on their way to Quebec after a successful concert in Halifax and Nick laid in his bunk listening to the conversation. It was midnight and he was the only one that had gone to sleep. Lou and Johnny were up front and Donna sat with the other guys watching a video. Therefore, it was pretty safe to continue with the discussion for Brian and Kevin.

“Then what should we do?” Brian frowned and his cousin responded, “We have to take some actions. Get a lawyer that can look into the contract that we have. Iīll tell you one thing, Lou is making a fortune out of us and meanwhile we have to sleep in bunkbeds!”

Nick could tell Kevin was pretty upset over the whole deal and he feared that this was just the beginning of a very tough period. Even if he didnīt like the management and thought that they pushed them much too hard he still didnīt want to come into a conflict. He was much too worried that this would mean the end of the Backstreet Boys. After all Lou had “found” them and as he put it they needed him.

“A high school friend of mine is a very good lawyer and I could ask if he could look into this. You know, read our contracts and see if the management is blowing us off. This could mean big money.”

“Okay, that could be a idea. I have been thinking on the same things as you have. And I also think that they are pushing us much too hard. Look at Nick, he is always so tired and now they want me to delay my heart surgery until we have been to Europe. The doctors told me that they wanted it to be done as soon as possible.”

“I know and there's so much that we have to deal with. Besides if we got away with this, we could much more decide much more on the show. “

“Yes." Brian was silent for a moment before asking, “Should we tell the guys about this, you know our suspecions and plans?”

“No,” Kevin shook his head, “ o, AJ is much too close with Johnny and Iīm not sure that he sees this as a problem, besides if Johnny got suspecious he could easily get him to talk. Especially over a few drinks. I donīt think that we should tell Howie either. It would just upset him further.”

Nick pricked up his ears and his senses, waiting for what they had to say about him and he didnīt have to wait long before it came.

“We have to tell Nick,” Brian stated. Brian and Nick, Frick and Frack were very close to each other and they told each other everything. They had no secrets to hide from each other.

“Nick? No! He would definately talk with his big mouth.”

Well thank you Kevin, Nick thought, a bit pissed. He turned hard in his bunk, enough just to make them aware of that he had listened to their conversation. Adding to this he coughed loudly.

“Nick? Frack?” Brian called out, waiting to hear if his friend was sleeping or not. He wasnīt being so stupid that he let himself known in words and kept silent.

“You think he heard?” Kevin asked a bit worried.

“Donīt know. But Nick has pretty big ears and he has a habit of listening in on private conversations.”

Great to have such good friends, Nick pondered sarcastically as he heard the cousins talking. He decided that he would confront them some day. Now was much too late. With a yawn he close his eyes, but had trouble falling asleep. Much too worried over the conflicts that were rising inside the group.

*****************************************

“Happy New Year!” the crowd cheered and all of the guys and the band raised their glasses. Celebrating in the New Year. They had ended a concert in Montreal and now it was an afterparty at a private nightclub.

Everybody was a bit tipsy and Nick wasnīt too far behind from the others when it came to being drunk. Brian had objected to Nick's choice of liquid, but AJ had claimed that since it was New Years eve and that Nick would soon be 18 and that was legal age in some European countries. Brian had finally given in and Kevin who was suppose to be in charge for the young blonde was keeping a steady eye on him so he wouldnīt overdo it.

Donna and the rest of the management didnīt care if Nick drank, infact they were more drunk then the boys. Ever since the other night when Nick overheard Brian and Kevin talking he had kept to himself, not talking so much with them. Not to the management either, much too afraid that he would slip in what he said. When he had been asked why he was so down the past few days, Nick had just said that he was tired and that he longed for home. This was true. When the nights came he was desperatly homesick. It was worse now when it was a holiday.

Nick took another snack from the snackbar and shoved it into his mouth, rinsing it off with champagne. The expensive kind since Lou was buying for them. Kevin had muttered that they could afford such a thing but not proper bed arrangements. This had him very pissed.

“Salut,” Howie said as he together with AJ were cheering in all different languages. Nick was also hanging along and the more he drank he got the more cheerful he became. Soon he was chatting with everybody at the place, including rapping some made up song.

“We have to take Nick home. He'll make a fool of himself,” Kevin hissed when he saw Nick laughing hysterically with some unknown person.

“Relax buddy,” Johnny held his arm around Kevin's shoulder.” Nick can manage just fine. That boy..that boy can do much more than we think of him.” Johnny was very drunk and his speech was heavily slurred.

“Johnny, he is under age,” Brian informed him, not liking what he saw. Their manager should keep a eye on Nick instead of encourage him to drink more. But then it wasnīt Johnny or Lou or even Donna thaht would have to stay guard with him the whole night. Helping him when he was too sick to be alone. This was destined to him or Kevin and he didnīt like this at all. He was becoming more and more skeptical that the management could manage a group like this.

“That I know,”Johnny slurred, “but itīs New Years eve and we're suppose to have fun. Relax now. Cheers!” He raised his glass to his mouth. “This is good stuff. Looks like Lou has been putting on his spender trousers.”

Brian shuddered. He wondered silently what the press would think if they knew that their management was totally drunk off of their asses. Donna was nowhere to be seen and Brian didnīt know if he wanted to know where she was.

“There are limits,” Kevin muttered as he walked up to Nick who was entertaining both AJ and Howie with some strange impersonation of a cartoon character. They were laughing wildly at him and filling up his glass regulary. Intending on getting good olīNicky smashed out of his sockets. And they were on their way.

”Come on buddy, I think you've had enough,” Kevin said as he put his hand on the blonde's shoulder. Nick lightened up when he saw who was talking to him.

“Hey Kevy. Come and join us. This is fun!” Nick grinned widely. His eyes were hanging half mast and cheeks were blushed red from alcohol. Slurring, he mumbled while hanging his arm around the tall man's shoulder. “You know..you know I really..really like you.” Turning to the rest of the group he announced happily, “I love you guys. Youīre my brothers.” He raised his glass up in air, “Skal or Prost as they say in Europe.” Then he leaned onto the table, “ Howie..is really..really cle..eever.” Nick was having a hard time talking and it was clear that he had too many drinks.

AJ and Howie who were rather drunk laughed too, holding up their glass to Nick, “Well cheers buddy.” Their glass clanked as they celebrated once more.

Nick laughed, taking another mouthful before Kevin took the glass away, “Thatīs it.” He said and this had the young blonde a bit upset.

“Hey what are you doing? I was drinking that.” He tried to swipe back his glass.

“Not anymore. You've had enough,” Kevin sounded a bit irritated.

“That was mine. I was drinking that,” Nick pouted a bit sullen, but his face enlightened when he saw Brian approaching. ”My best bud!" He called out as he gave Brian a bearhug.

Being the calm person that the Kentuckian was he said, “Hey man, I'm going home now. You coming?”

Nick looked up, eyes red, “Nah dude. Hey you wanna have some?” Clumsily he patted the half full wine bottle and somehow managed to push it out so it fell, contents running over the table and down on AJīs and Howie's pants.

“What are you doing?” AJ screamed as he stood up when the wet liquid touched his pants.

“Ewww, Niiiiccckkkk!!” Howie was screaming loud, jumping up. Suddenly it wasnīt so funny with a drunk Nick. “Why do you have to be so clumsy?” Howie hurried towards the bathroom to look at the damage that had been done to his designer pants.

“You little fuck!” AJ screamed, “Look at this. Now Iīm fucking wet.” He motioned towards his wet pants. ”What am I going to do now?”

“Iīm sorry,” Nick stuttered, as he tried to wipe the pants off with a used napkin.

“Donīt,” AJ swatted his hand off his pants, looking crossed. "Youīll ruin it."

Then Nick started to giggle hysterically. “Looks like you peed yourself. Itīs freakin’ hilarious.” Hard looks was what he got from the boys for response.

Kevin sighed heavily, ” You definately have had enough now.” Nick didnīt agree with him.

“No.I wanna sit here.” He was stubborn sober and even more stubborn drunk. Not that Nick had been drinking or drunk on so many occassions in his life. In fact he had only been this drunk once and that was last year when AJ had got him to drink dark german beer, Lager. He was so bad off that Brian wanted him to go to the hospital. The day after Nick had blamed his sickness on eating bad food. Hangovers couldnīt be that bad. Could it?

“Yes come on. Time to go back to the hotel.” Brian took a steady grip on Nick who seemed to sway as he stood up.

“Whoaaaaa,” Nick tried to steady himself. He never thought the room could spin so bad. How much did he have to drink?

“You okay man?” Brian was guiding his friend who leaned heavily on him. All the color seemed to have drained from his face and he was sweating badly. Oh no Brian tought and he patted Nick softly on his cheek. “Earth to Nick..youīre doing alright?”

"I don't feel so good," Nick whimpered as he covered his hand on his mouth. "We have to get you outside." Kevin helped Brian getting their friend out in the cold winter air. Suddenly it wasnīt so fun with a drunk Nick anymore.

3 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 3

“Can we just skip today?” Nick moaned as he listened to Brian open drawers and toss clothes onto the bed.

Brian shook his head as he threw Nick’s pants at the young boy laying in bed. “You know we have schedules to keep.”

“But I feel like shit,” Nick pleaded.

“No can do Nick, you did this to yourself so you deal with the consequences of your behavior.”

Dragging himself slowly out of the warm bed, Nick mocked Brian’s last few words “deal with the consequences” with a sarcastic voice, instantly regretting the headache that developed from his movements. Gently placing a hand to his head, Nick questioned outloud, “What the hell did I have to drink?”

“Pretty much the entire bar,” came the short reply. “Get moving!”

“Hey I’m not a morning person,” Nick defended.

Brian’s cell phone chirped bringing another moan from the young blonde. He shook his head. “Yeah?”

Nick half listened to Brian’s half of the brief phone conversation as he slowly got himself dressed. During the call, Brian had to answer the door and he glared at Nick as he made his way over the piles of clothes and video games that were strewn on the floor.

“Sorry I can’t be perfect like you,” Nick mumbled and then stuck his middle finger out when Brian had his back turned.

“I saw that,” he stated quickly as he pulled the door open.

AJ came bursting into the room, tall styrofoam cup of coffee in his hand. Brian clicked off his phone and tossed it onto his bed.

“Yo Nickster, how ya feelin?”

“Judas AJ, I’m not deaf,” Nick snapped.

AJ grinned. “That good?”

“Hungover,” Brian observed.

“Let Doc McLean take care of you son,” AJ mused as he punched some numbers on the phone. “Fix it kit in Littrell and Carter’s room.” Slamming the phone down AJ turned and observed the pale looking teen. “Well, other than the hair of the dog, which I’m sure wouldn’t fly today, I have something else you can do to cure the hangover.”

“I am not hungover,” Nick protested.

“Yeah and I’m the pope,” AJ countered, shoving the coffee towards Nick.

Nick sniffed the the black liquid. “This is black,” he whined.

AJ rolled his eyes. “Ya know not everything comes with chocolate in it Carter. Just drink it.”

“But it’s black coffee,” Nick continued to complain.

“Oh for the love of god,” AJ moaned as he reached for the sugar packets that were set by the courtesy coffee machine on the desktop. “I’m guessing eight packets?”

Nick glared at AJ as he grabbed the sugar from him. He tore open two of the packets and dumped them into the coffee as Brian and AJ watched. When they got involved in a conversation, Nick quickly ripped open three more packets and dumped them in, scrunching the paper evidence up and stuffing it into the front pocket of his jeans.

A quick, quiet knock on the door announced to the room that AJ’s bodyguard Marquis had arrived. Nick eyed the man suspiciously when he entered carrying a small green bag.

“Wha.. what’s he got there?”

“A little something to get you up and on your feet Carter,” AJ rasped.

Nick’s eyes widened when Marquis pulled a syringe out of the bag.

“Oh no, no you’re not gonna shoot me with that thing,” Nick screeched. He was deathly afraid of needles and the thought of someone besides a medical professional giving him a shot scared him even more.

“Wouldja just chill man? It’s a B-12 shot, Marquis gives them to me lots of times. It’s gonna get up back on your feet,” AJ persuaded.

“There’s nothing wrong with me, I.. I don’t need it,” Nick protested.

“Oh come on Nick, just get it overwith and you’ll feel better, besides they’re waiting for us down in the lobby, you’re holding us up,” Brian coaxed.

Nick looked at the bulky black bodyguard, unsure if he wanted the man to touch him with a needle.

“Relax Nick, I’ve done this millions of times, haven’t lost anyone yet,” Marquis grinned.

“There’s always a first,” Nick replied through gritted teeth.

AJ lept onto Nick and pushed him down onto the bed. “Just get it overwith.”

“GET OFF OF ME!” Nick screeched.

AJ made eye contact with Marquis and the man hurried over with the syringe and shoved back Nick’s sleeve, plunging the needle into his upper arm.

“What about alcohol?” Brian asked.

“He’s got enough in his system, don’t worry,” AJ joked.

Brian narrowed his eyes at AJ. “Infection?”

“We don’t have time for that crap. I’m sure sissy ass will be okay,” AJ growled as Nick yelped when the shot was injected.

“DAMMIT AJ....GET OFF OF ME!”

Smiling, AJ hopped off of Nick’s body when the shot was done. “There, that wasn’t so bad was it Nicky boy?” He scruffed Nick’s hair for good measure before Nick jumped off the bed.

Brian looked at the empty syringe and then at AJ. Sensing what Brian was thinking, AJ responded with, “They get disposed of in Marquis’s room, no drug issues or rumors, I have it covered. No sweat.”

Nick sat up on the bed, rubbing his arm.

“Don’t you say a word to anyone about this Nick, no Howie, no Kevin, no management, no one!” AJ growled.

“Grab your coffee Nick, we gotta go!” Brian urged as he held the door open.

“But I have to go to the bathroom,” Nick whined.

“We don’t have time, go at the studio,” AJ snapped. “Come on boy, let’s get going!”

******

Except for the slight headache, Nick decided he felt pretty good and the hangover was declared history. He shook his head when he thought about the miracle cure that Bone had. If anyone knew about how to get rid of the morning after party hangover, that would be the expert in hangovers - AJ.

“Nick, pay attention,” Kevin growled as he pointed sharply at the sheet music with his index finger.

Nick jumped, shaken from his thoughts.

“As I was saying, this bridge right here is a different sort of melody and it’s mainly Nick’s voice that will be heard with us in the background,” the songwriter stated as she looked at the eyes of the young band members that were gathered around the table.

Nick looked at the young woman appreciatively. She had long, blond shoulder length hair, deep green eyes and an attractive white smile. As he was getting lost in his thoughts about the girl, he felt a sharp jab to his ribs and he quickly drew his breath in as he clamped a hand where the offending blow was delivered.

“Pay attention Nick!” Howie whispered sharply.

“Okay, let’s try a few practice takes on this song before Fatima comes in to work on the video shoot for a new song, okay?”

Kevin leaned close to Nick while the woman was cueing the tape. “Make sure you do this right, I have plans for this afternoon and I don’t need you to screw them up for me, got it?”

Nick stiffened in his chair. “Why the hell are you jumping on me?”

“Because, you always seem to be the one that messes shit up for me,” Kevin pointed out.

Nick met Kevin’s stare with one in return. Their gaze was broken when the music started to play over the speakers. Nick absently fingered the sheet of music that was placed in front of him.

“NICK!” All of the people in the room shouted in unison and the music stopped.

Nick jerked his head up and looked at the irritated faces of his band brothers. “What?”

“If you had been paying attention, you would know that you’re first on the fricken song so you just missed your cue dummy,” Kevin grumbled.

”Soorrry,” Nick breathed, tears stinging his eyes. He wanted to go back to the hotel room and lay down. He didn’t want to be here under the scrutiny of four pairs of angry eyes.

“Let’s just try it again, okay?” the songwriter suggested as she cued the music once again.

The intro played and Nick cleared his throat, preparing to ‘wow’ the guys and prove that he can be relied upon.

’Somebody told me that your not my kind

So have I lost my mind?

You keep on doing all the things I like

You've got me hypnotized

But that's the way I like it ‘

“Whoa... whoa, just what the fuck was that?” AJ moaned, holding his hands to his ears. The music was still playing and once again, all eyes were directed upon Nick.

Nick looked at the group innocently. “What?”

“That sounded like a screeching cat being dragged 300 feet under a car,” Kevin observed, shaking his head.

Nick looked at his older brother, dumbfounded. “Huh?”

“Okay, you’re how old now Nick? Sevent----”

“I’m gonna be eighteen the end of this month,” Nick cut off Brian.

“Okay, puberty was last month guys,” Howie grinned.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Nick croaked, his voice betrayed him.

“What the hell are you talking about!” AJ mimicked, making his voice crack like a prepubescent teen on prom night.

Nick stood up quickly and stormed out of the small conference room.

“And I guess we take five,” Kevin observed as blonde shoved the door open.

“Better make that fifteen,” Brian stated and stood up. “I’ll go see if he’s okay.”

Stomping down the hall, Nick found a sitting area that had a coffee machine, soda machine and a snack vending machine. He decided this was a good place to hide while he tried to calm his emotions. He didn’t want to be caught crying. AJ would ride him for weeks about being a cry baby if he saw him like this.

Reaching into his pockets, Nick pulled out some coins and dropped them into the snack machine. He selected potato chips and a couple of candy bars. Food usually soothed his nerves and he decided that maybe it was just because he was hungry that his voice was messed up.

“Nick?”

Nick jumped hearing Brian’s voice.

“Come on, take your stuff back with me and let’s get this little part of the session overwith and we can take a better break, okay?” Brian suggested.

Nick reluctantly pulled himself off the couch and trudged behind Brian, munching on the potato chips. He was inwardly dreading going back into the room. Nick knew there would be remarks about the singing and he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to keep his composure. True to his predictions, as soon as the door opened, AJ started off.

“Are you done with being a whiney ass?” AJ asked, peering over the top of his sunglasses.

Nick pasted a fake smile and sat back down into his seat.

“Nick, you of all people don’t need to be eating those chips,” Kevin remarked shaking his head. “You’re gonna break out from the chocolate and the grease in the potato chips.”

“Break out? You mean blow up!” AJ cackled.

God, why did they have to pick on me so much? Nick wondered silently. He wanted to be home. At least his parents didn’t tease him about how he talked or walked or what he ate. There was so much pressure put on him lately he wondered if he would ever survive.

“Just start the tape again, please,” Howie intervened.

‘Thank you Howie.’ Nick mentally shouted. Good ol’ Howie, always the peacemaker.

4 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 4

”Imagine, weīre about to make history, guys.” Howie said as he was warming up before tonights concert in Atlanta. It was their first show on their “Backstreet's Back” tour and they were all very nervous.

“Yeah, ainīt it cool,” AJ commented as he looked at Nick who sat silent in the couch. “Right Kaos?” he snapped his fingers in front of the young teen. “Youīre spacing out again man!”

“Uh..what?” Nick jerked, then he turned to his friend, “Donīt do that,” he warned.

“Hey dude, you alright?” AJ studied the blonde closer. “You look kind of pale.”

“Iīm fine,” Nick murmured, “ As long as you keep your butt ugly face out of my view.”

AJ grinned widely, “Like youīre the one to talk man. Have you seen yourself in the mirror lately? You have a freakin’ double chin man. Those cheeseburgers are starting to show.” He pointed at Nick's face and the blonde gave up a yell.

“I doooo nooot,” Nick said wide eyed as he ran towards the dressing room mirror. Studying himself close up front. A bit disatisfied he noticed that he had his leg pulled again. “Why do you have to say that?” he whined, picking up a shoe, throwing it at AJ, who ducked.

“Kaos youīre so easily fooled that itīs not even fun..” He didnīt have a chance to end the last word when Nick jumped all over him and the “fight” was evident.

“Watch it,” Howie growled as they started rolling on the floor.

“This little shit is going to get it!” AJ yelled as he took Nick's head in a tight grip.

“Sto..stop it,” Nick choked, “Ouuucchhh, leave me alone!” The blonde was fighting for his life. None of the guys had any intention to stop the wrestling match and AJ kept beating on Nick.

“Get off my case!” Nick yelled when AjJwouldnīt let up his grip.

“First say Iīm a fat ass!”

“Noooo!!”

“Yes..” AJ tightened his grip around Nick's neck, “Say it!!”

“Let me goooo!!” Nick was starting to sweat and his neck hurt, from AJīs grip. “ Youīre hurting me!”

“Yes let him go," Howie was coming to Nick's rescue, but AJ refused to listen. “Cool it so you donīt sprain something.”

“He just has to say “that he's a fat ass” and then he is off the hook.” AJ grinned as he tried to fend off Nick's kicking legs.

“Thatīs mean.”

“But true.”

“Iīm NOT a fatass!!” Nick yelled, sweat pouring down his back. “Let me go now.”

“Nope, you know the word.”

“NIIICCK, AJJEEE!” Kevin barked as he came into the room. They were too engrossed in the rumble that Kevin had to part them, with his hands.

“Did you have enough?” Bone said, gritting his teeth.

Nick responded gruffly, “Did you?”

Both of them looked like roosters getting ready for a fight and Nick was red in the face from fighting the skinny man. He might be stronger, but AJ was one hell of a fighter and there was not a chance that he could beat him.

“Enough!” Kevin said as he looked at the two.

“It was AJ that started it,” Nick whined as he rubbed his sore jaw. AJ had managed to kick him in his face, accidently, and now he was paying the price.

“I did not," Turning to Kevin he said, “Nick jumped all over me for no particular reason.”

Hearing this Nick felt his anger flare up. If there was one thing he hated was to be falsely accused. “He is lying. That was not what happened, Right Howie?”

The latino looked away, “Iīm not saying anything,” he said, contuing with his stretching. Heīd learned to back off when it came to fights between the Nick and AJ. They had to clear it up by themselves.

“Why doesn't anyone ever believe me??” Nick yelled when Kevin was starting to bark at him for being immature.

AJ grinned, standing behind Kevin. He had won and this was something he was going to rub in. “Beacuse youīre such a dork,” he whsipered when Kevin didnīt see and Nick was prepared again to hit, “A fat dork!”

“Stop it! God canīt you two behave for like a minute?” Donna said tiredly as she came into the room. Nick looked up, “Donīt look at me. I didnīt start it. Bone was saying that I was fat and..”

“That is beacuse you ARE fat.” Getting a glare from Kevin the skinny man continued, “What? Iīm just stating the facts. Nicky is starting to get a bit chubby and it wouldnīt hurt if he laid off those hamburgers for a while.”

“Then what would you eat?” Brian asked, coming out from the bathroom.

“Huh?”

“I mean..if we werenīt suppose to eat junk food, then there would be no Mickey D’s either, you know.” Brian smiled and Nick looked gratefully at him. As if on cue, they gave each other a high five when they noticed that AJ had nothing to say in defense.

“Well the turd can eat vegetables, canīt he?” AJ countered.

“At McDonald's, donīt think so.” Brian was the master of ending a conversation and Bone shrugged.

“Well fatass can eat whatever he likes. I donīt care.” With that he went into the bathroom just to stick out his head again, “God Brian..next time use Lysol.”

Laughter errupted in the room as Brian made a not-so-nice facial expression towards his buddy. First show always made his stomach a bit upset from being nervous.

The concert went off without any mistakes until Nick tripped while doing “Get down.” He fell flat on his ass and all but Kevin started to laugh. Howie was instantly there with a helping hand. Nick ignored it. He felt pretty bad for messing up and was sure that they would scold him afterwards. As if it wasnīt enough, he accidently tripped one more time, hitting Kevin in his stomach AND sang the wrong cue on “All I Have to Give.” He was being a total disaster and red in his face as he continued with the show.

The comments that would come after he left the stage wouldnīt be too nice and he feared for what to come. True to his thoughts, the moment they had gone down to the dressing room Kevin attacked him.

“If you paid more attention to the dance lessons you wouldnīt fuck up so bad,” he commented as he dried himself off with a towel.

“Yeah Nick, what the fuck was that?” Johnny was not pleased and Nick wanted to sink into the floor.

“Leave him alone, itīs our first concert on this tour and we can all fuck up sometimes.” AJ was coming to his rescue and Nick rose his eyebrows. First he had teased him and now he was being nice. Alexander Mclean was one person he could never figure out.

“Yeah and Nicky is tired.” Howie patted the blonde on his shoulder, “Itīs no big of a deal,” he whsipered to him, trying to make him feel better. “They'll soon forget this.”

Nick shrugged. He hoped they would, but everytime he did something, like messed up or sang the wrong cue Kevin and Johnny would be on his case. He knew that this was not all his fault and that part of it was because they were tensed up over the upcoming situation with the management. Brian's delayed heart surgery had part of it too and they were all afraid that something would happend with their brother. It was a rough time and the tension affected Nick the most.

“Being tired is no excuse for fucking up like you did Nick,” Johnny barked and Nick felt like a small kid.

“Yeah you make us look bad.” Kevin didnīt spare on his words.

“Sorry,” he mumbled as he sank, exhausted, down on the coach, closing his eyes. He didnīt know how long he had been sitting there but the next time he opened his eyes he had Brian hovering over him, frowning.

“You alright Frack?” he asked as he tried to feel Nick's forehead.

“Yeah, just tired.”

“Are you sure? You kind of blacked out on us.” Howie asked as he too felt Nick's forehead. Kevin, still not happy with Nick for messing up looked at their way too.

“Mhm..” Nick yawned loudly. “Iīll think I will hit the sack early tonight.”

“No can do,” Johnny said with a loud voice, “We have meet and greet and..” He didnīt have time to finish the sentence before all five of them moaned.

“No Johhny, not tonight.”

“Canīt we skip out of it?”

“Iīm soooo tired.”

“Yeah, Nick is tired and I think we..we all are tired.” Brian was trying to negoatiate, but it was a futile attempt. Whenever Johnny had set his mind om something it was like moving a mountain with your bare hands. Not possible to change.

“Meet and greet is your chance to meet the fans and interact,” he stated like he had done so many times before.

“We know, itīs just that several of us all totally zonked and..”

Johnny cut Brian off, “Nope. Youīll do it. End of discussion.” The moaning and whining that followed could make a dead man turn himself in the grave from the noise.

“Let me die now!” Nick groaned as he sank on his bed two hours later.

It was 2 am and he had been on his feet since early morning, having a very tight schedule. The meet and greet had dragged out in overtime and when it finally ended Nick wanted to cry from exhaustion. This was suppose to be a real Kick off, being their first US concert and instead he was dead on his feet. Didnīt make sense. Maybe it was the nervousness that he had encountered all day that was letting go of his grip and making him feel so tired afterwards. A tension headache had been escalating and now he was eating asprin like they were M & Mīs.

“Itīs not that bad,” Brian comforted him, but he was just as tired as his fellow mate.

“Yes it is. Johnny keeps dragging me to meet all sorts of people and even though I said that I was not interested I had to smile and chat with some news paper magnets daughter. All for the PR.”

“I know,” Brian sighed as he moved over to the bathroom to get himself ready. “Hopefully things will get better soon,” He was referring to his discussion with Kevin without revealing anything about their plans. To change the management.

“Doubt it,” Nick muttered as he rolled to his side, rubbing his temples furiously.

Everthing was starting to get to him and if he were honest he didnīt know how he would cope with it all. They had been working non stop on the new dance routine for the show and in between on new tracks for their planned cd. They also had done some video shoots. What really taxed him out was that he also had to do concerts and interviews and photo shoots all the time. There was no time for any personal interests. Heck he didnīt even have time to go to the bathroom at times. The schedule was tight. As if that wasnīt enough he also had to work on his high school grades and the pile of homework that he had to do was scary.

No seventeen old should have to go through this much!

5 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 5

“Turn to your left, thatīs it..yeeeesss...move that head a little..yeeess, you, you with the blonde hair. Yessss...blondie..stay there....Goooood!!” The photographer on the photo shoot was arranging them to do a photo session and it was Nick's turn to be the target.

“My name is Nick,” Nick grumbled while the photographer adjusted his cheek. He hated these photo shoots. It made him feel like an animal in a cage.

“What..what did you say?” asked the photographer, “Nooooo donīt move, sit..thatīs it.” Satisfied with what he had achived the man pressed the button.

“I said that my name is Nick!”

“Noooo..donīt move, look what youīve did. Now we have to do it all over again.” The photographer sounded irritated as he walked over to Nick starting to adjust him on the chair. Nick sighed. It was hot and he was tired and thristy. Heīd been here much too long. Unfortunatly his stand alone pics had come out bad and he had to do the photo session all over again. The guys tired of waiting had already gone to a nearby resturant and they were eating their hearts out. Lucky them!

“Canīt we take five?” Nick mumbled as he was getting more and more tired of sitting in one position, not being able to move at all. Unfortunately his nose had started to itch something badly and when he couldnīt take it anymore he broke out into a sneezing fit. Much to the photographer's dismay, who also happened to dislike germs of all kind. It was an understatement to say that the man was mildly annoyed over the situation.

“No! I have another session after this and we cant keep doing this all day.”

Nick sighed. His stomach had been rumbling all morning and it wasnīt just from being hungry. There was a need for privacy, but since they were so busy all the time there wasnīt even time to fit in a bathroom break. It sucked.

“Thatīs it..look into the camera..eat it with your eyes..Yessss...the camera loves you..yesss smile..Thatīs it!!! Goood!”

After half an hour sitting in the same position, Nick was ready to crawl out of his skin. He was not the most patient one and this was no exception. The camera lights made it unbearably hot, sweat pouring down his back. He had to get out of this hell hole right now or he wouldnīt answer for the consequences. The photographer however had other ideas and he kept pushing him all the time.

“Just one more plate,” he said as he put film into his camera. “Thatīs it..now..turn to your side, thatīs it..No Nick more to your left..Yesss..”

“Isnīt it over soon?” Nick moaned, folding over a bit. The need for a bathroom break was becoming more and more urgent and soon it couldnīt be delayed anything more. “Pleaaaaseee?”

“A few more shots, then youīre done.”

“Okay, okay..make it quick then.” Nick sighed, as he once again took his position. It felt like an eternity before he heard the magic word, “Thatīs it!”

Not waiting for a signal he jumped off the chair, nearly knocking the camera down in the process. He could hear the photographer cussing behind him, yet he didnīt care. He had to get to a bathroom and fast. As he ran out of the studio, skidding in the hallway, the rubber on the soles of his tennis shoes squealing, he heard his name being called for.

“Nick! Nick there you are.”

It was Johnny that was coming for him. Bad timing as always.

“Where are you going?” the dark man asked as he stopped the blonde. Nick fidgeted. Where did he think that he was going? Out shopping? To the movies?

“Bathroom,” Nick panted, hoping that his manager would get out of his way.

“Well you have to wait,” Johnny stated. Nick glared at him. What was he saying? Why? He didnīt have to wait long until he got the explanation.

“Youīre going to do a short press conference. The guys are waiting for you and weīre already late.”

Not me! Not now, Nick mentally said as he was trying to get past the big man. “I have to,” he started when Johnny interrupted him, “You can go after the press conference. Come on now.”

“But..but I really have to go.” He knew that he was whining, but he was starting to have a stomach ache and this was becoming more and more painful.

Johnny shook his head, “Sorry man, but the schedule you know.”

“Okay, okay..Iīm going,” Nick said as he followed his manager out. Irritated he thought that he didnīt even get a chance for such a small thing. No privacy what so ever. His stomach was not in the best shape and he had needed that break. Yet it would have to wait. All for the fans!

***********************************

Nick sighed. All those questions. Generally he thought that it wasnīt that bad but today he was suffering. It was just as hot at the press conference and the journalists kept asking them all these thousand questions.

“So Nick, how does it feel to be the youngest in the group?” one journalist asked as he scribbled down something on the notepad.

He felt the urge to tell the truth, that it sucked and he was sick and tired of always being the one everybody nagged and blamed for things he didn't do. Yet he said with the famous Backstreet smile, “I like being the youngest. The guys all treat me fairly.” A look from Brian said that he was treading on thin ice. That “treat me fair-part” had been a bit exaggerating.

Shrugging, Nick paid no attention to him. He still needed his privacy and sitting here on a hard chair made his stomach ache too. This was turning out to be a bad day and he wanted it to be over with. Unfortunately they had concert night and he had to be in shape for that event.

He listened, smiled and answered questions until he was so fed up that it felt stuck in his throat. Or more likely up his ass!

As soon as the press conference was over Nick didnīt have to wait twice to rush out of the room. His stomach was positively killing him and he had to find the wanted facilites soon or he would be in real trouble. No hurricane, No earth quake could stop him. Fifteen minutes later he left the restroom, a relieved smile on his face. His stomach didnīt hurt so much anymore and actually felt hungry. A positive sign that he was fine and dandy again.

The moment he stepped out of the restroom the comments were pouring over him.

“Did you give birth?” AJ grinned as Nick entered the hallway. "It sure sounded like that!"

Brian laughed as AJ patted Nick on his stomach. “Was it a boy or a girl?” he asked.

“Youīre sick,” Nick commented as he took his jacket from Howie who handed it to him. He had forgotten it at the press conference, being in too much discomfort to remember such an unimportant thing.

“Neither,” AJ laughed, “It was a..a turd.” Bathroom humor was something that the guys enjoyed dearly. Especially if the target was a certain blonde,soon turning to be eighteen old, teenager.

“Really? How much did it weigh?” Brian asked with a serious face, a smile tugging at his lips.

“How about..a..a ton.” AJ laughed even more and together with Brian they looked like small kids. Making pranks together.

“Gross,” Howie commented but he smiled too.

Annoyed with the situation, Nick gave them the finger and this was what Donna saw when she came in and saw the scenario.

“Nick, there is no need to do such a thing,” she scolded. When he was about to object to the situation she cut him off, “Shut up, we donīt have time to listening to your complaints since we have to be at a record store signing albums. In fact we should have been there like ten minutes ago if you hadnīt stalled us.” When the words stall was being mentioned both Brian and AJ broke out into uncontrollable fits of laughter.“Yeah Nicky, you made the day totally shitty.”

Nick glared at them. Nothing was a secret for his “brothers”. And there was no chance for privacy. Ever!

6 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 6

Nick narrowed his eyes at all the attention Denise was showering on AJ. All the attention he craved from his own mother. It hit him exactly how homesick he really was. He and his mother didn’t have the relationship that AJ shared with Denise, but the thing that bothered Nick the most was the fact that AJ’s mom was with him 24/7 and his own mom wasn’t. She was too preoccupied with his sibs.

Now he had the difficult task of sucking it up and acting all happy at AJ’s birthday party bash. No expenses were spared for her baby and the tables were filled with the finest foods that money could buy. Bottles of beer and wine were sitting on ice in huge steel tubs that were set at different ends of the hotel lobby.

Easily accessible.

“Hey Nickster, see you found where the food was,” AJ laughed as he clamped a hand onto the blondes shoulder.

“Yup,” Nick mumbled in reply as he kept walking out of AJ’s grip towards a table that was away from everyone. He decided he wanted to be alone in his misery.

To his dismay, AJ flipped a chair backwards and straddled the seat, facing the table. “So, you having fun? Isn’t this a great party that ma put on for me?”

“Just peachy,” Nick replied with a mouthful of food. “Wait until my birthday, my mom’s gonna have a spread like this one too.”

AJ nodded, but his mind was elsewhere as he watched some of his guests enter the room. He abruptly stood up, grabbed his bottle of beer and left Nick by himself.

“Asshole,” Nick mumbled as he watched AJ walk over to a few recording excutives. Denise rushed up to stand beside AJ, fussing over her son. Rolling his eyes, he plowed his fork through the potato salad and started shoveling the food into his mouth.

“Hey Nick, some party, eh?” Howie asked as he took a seat opposite of his band brother.

Nick nodded his head and kept up with his preoccupation with his plate, not wanting to get involved in a conversation with anyone.

“Can’t you at least look at me?” Howie questioned.

Nick looked up from his plate briefly, batted his eyes and then looked back down, scraping the fork across the now empty china.

“Oh really sweet, I’m touched,” Howie joked. “What’s bugging you?”

Nick sighed. “Oh, it’s stupid I guess.”

“No, tell me!”

Nick looked around the room, resting his gaze on AJ’s back. “Okay, how come Denise is being Miss Liquor control around here and AJ gets to drink beer and if I go near the booze Denise barks at me and says ‘Nick’s drinking soda, right Nick?” he mocked in a not-so-flattering voice for AJ’s mother.

“Image maybe? I don’t know for sure Nick,” Howie replied, shrugging his shoulders.

“Well it sucks and I’m not gonna have Denise tell me what the fuck I can do,” Nick decided. “She’s a pain in the ass and she always acts like she’s my mom or something. My mom wouldn’t ride on my back the way that woman does,” he grumbled.

Brian joined Nick and Howie at the table with a plateful of fresh fruit.

“Aren’t you gonna eat any ham?” Nick wondered aloud as he looked at Brian’s choices.

He shook his head. “Nope, I’m limiting my protein intake.”

Stuffing a half of a ham sandwich into his mouth, Nick grinned. “Suit yourself. Howie, go grab me a beer.”

“You can’t have a beer, you can, however, have a soda,” Brian politely offered.

“But I want a beer,” Nick whined.

“You’ll get nothing and like it,” Kevin interrupted as he walked past the table. Nick flipped his older brother off.

“Nickolas Carter!” Denise McLean glared at the young boy and shook her head disapprovingly.

Sighing, Nick slumped back into his chair. He glared darkly at Denise. “God, why can’t she just leave me alone?”

“Because she knows your track record, son,” Howie pointed out. “Hey, where ya going now?”

Nick stopped and spun around. “I’m going back to the buffet table, is that okay with you mother?

“I thought you already ate, you’re still hungry?” Brian and Howie questioned.

Nick threw his hands up in the air. “Well, I can’t drink so I might as well eat.”

“Now there’s a smart theory,” Howie mused.

“Yeah like Wild E. Cyote, Super Genious versus the Road Runner,” Brian chuckled, shaking his head.

“Aren’t you two keeping an eye on Nick?” Kevin hissed as he leaned over his cousin’s shoulder.

“I didn’t know we were supposed to watch the boy,” Brian replied, brow furrowed.

All eyes were trained on Nick as he walked back with another plate piled high with food.

Kevin patted the back of Brian’s shoulder. “Someone needs to watch him or plan on staying up with him tonight because he’s gonna have one hell of a belly ache if he keeps up. Just do it!”

Howie and Brian exchanged glances.

“Well, he seems to be concerned about Nick but not enough to take care of him,” Howie observed. “Leave anything on the table?”

“Shut the fuck up,” Nick growled, placing a protective arm around his plate of food.

“Seriously Nick, you need to slow down or you’re gonna get sick,” Brian begged.

Only his middle finger was held into the air as his reply to Brian’s pleading.

“Okay, this is just stupid Nick,” Howie huffed as he pushed himself away from the round table. “What kind?”

Brian’s mouth dropped.

“Bud,” Nick replied with a mouthful of food.

“Bud it is, be right back,” Howie grinned.

“But Howie, he’s not supposed to drink,” Brian called after the Latino.

“You’d rather have the alternative? I’m not going to be sitting around with that gas bag after he stuffs himself the whole fricken night!”

Nick belched loudly on cue. “What are you talking about?”

Brian looked like he would throw up at any moment. “That right there, that’s gross!”

******

Kevin ran a hand through his hair as he stared at Brian and Howie. “You know I gave you two specific instructions about Nick!”

“What we did wasn’t wrong,” Howie defended.

The sounds of wretching carried out of the open bathroom door.

“Yeah and Nick puking his guts out is the aftermath of what you did is okay?” Kevin paced.

“AJ got shitfaced too!” Howie pointed out.

“AJ is Denise’s problem tonight, not ours,” Kevin hissed, watching Nick crawl on his hands and knees out of the bathroom towards his bed. "And you two can spend the night with him since you decided to get the kid drunk."

Howie, not being a fan of someone throwing up winced at Kevin's suggestion. "But..."

Kevin turned as he reached the door. "Have a good night," he smiled, cutting off Howie's protests.

Howie watched the young teen crawling into the bed and grimaced when Nick started burping and moaning. "Thank you Kevin Richardson!"

7 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 7

“You think he'll be fine?” Nick questioned as he stuck his fork into his mouth. They had gone to a local pizzeria down in Orlando in between dance rehearsal. The man in question was Brian who had a doctor's appointment. He was getting the news about his upcoming heart surgery.

“Yeah, Iīm sure of it. B’rok is tough.” Howie said comforting as he could, seeing the sadness in his friend's eyes.

“But then what if he is NOT?” Nick felt worried. He had been so scared when he first heard about Brian and his heart problem. The last thing he wanted to happen was to loose his best friend. Brian meant the world to him and without him he didnīt know how to cope.

“Donīt worry,” Howie was there comforting with a hand on the blonde's shoulder. “He will be fine.”

“You think that we will cancel the European tour?” AJ asked after sitting silent for awhile. “I mean if B is going to get operated on he might not be in the best of shape to perform.” They were going to Europe next month on a big “Backstreet's Back Tour” and this was something they looked forward to with mixed emotions. Brian's heart problem had shadowed it all and Nick was the one that was most afraid that something bad would happen.

“Doubt that,” Kevin sighed. He had been sitting quitely listening to the conversation. “Lou talked to B’rok the other day and he said that they couldnīt cancel the show. Too much was at stake.”

“Lou is a pig,” Nick muttered, as he took another bite of the pizza.

“Pig? Like youīre the one to talk?” AJ chuckled.

Glaring, Nick asked, “What do you mean?”

“You. Youīre pigging out.”

“I am NOT” Nick felt insulted as he defended himself.

“Yeah, you are. Look at you! Youīre eatin’ an extra LARGE pizza,” AJ continued, gesturing at the piece that Nick was holding in his hand.

“Iīm a growing boy.” The teen mumbled, pizza crumbs sprayed over the table.

Kevin fanned a hand infront him, “God Nick, donīt talk with food in your mouth,” he lectured.

“Says who?” The teen was in a challanging mood.

“Says me,” Kevin sighed, “You need to learn some table manners.”

“Youīre always complaining about me,” Nick whined as he grabbed another piece of the pizza.

“Youīre really gonna eat that?” Howie asked as he watched his friend set his teeth into the extra cheezy slice. Like he was starving.

“Yup. You have any problem with that?” Nick was getting sick and tired of always hearing the comments about his eating habits. They had been many since Christmas and the boys were constantly making jokes about his weight.

“No, itīs just that you need to watch what youīre eating.” Kevin was such a health freak, like Howie and suddenly Nick wished Brian was there to help to defend him.

“Yeah dumbass. The girls wonīt like it if you look like a greasy piece of pizza.” AJ laughed and Nick gave him the finger.

“Well you look like a fuckin’ tooth pick.” Nick growled as he tried to hit the teasing man.

“Knock it off you two,” Howie was butting into the conversation. “People are looking at us.”

“That is all you care about. If anyone see us at the restaurant,” Nick spat. Howie looked hurt. He was the bands peacemaker.

“Nick, now youīre being unreasonable.” Kevin tried to get the teen to calm down by holding him by the arm.

“Let me go!” The blonde jerked his arm. “You always nag me. Everything I do is crap.”

“Really? Then use the bathroom.” AJ grinned and the boys laughed. It was fun teasing the blonde and they never ceased an opportunity.

“Hey guys,” A voice called out and four pair of heads turned at the direction where the sound came from. It was Brian entering the restaurant and the questions where many.

“Hey B’rok, how did it go?”

“What did the doctor say?”

“When will you do surgery?”

All but Nick was talking, instead he sat sulking in the corner, nibbling the pizza. He had lost his appetite a long time ago and now he was mainly eating to have something to do.

“Hold it,” Brian smiled, “It went pretty fine. The doctor said I had to do surgery this spring and there was nothing to be concerned about. I would be up and going in no time, actually itīs a rather minor surgery.”

“Minor?” Nick opened his mouth, spitting out the words, “Youīre calling heart surgery minor? I mean you could die from that you know.” He bit his lip as he had uttered the last words.

“Nick,” Kevin said with an authoritive voice, “That was totally uncalled for.”

“Whatīs your problem man?” AJ asked as he could see that Brian's face had clouded when Nick had uttered the last words. About dying.

Nick glared. “Well I hope youīre not keeping anything from us. Like you always do.” He was referring to the conversation he heard when they were in Canada. The one that him and Kevin had been talking about the management and the future.

“What do you mean?” Brian asked, looking sternly into Nick's face.

“Ask Kevin he should know.” Nick felt gloom and was upset over the situation in hand.

“Ask Kevin what?” Now Howie was interested too.

“About leaving the group,” Nick threw out the words like they burned him.

“Leaving the group? What are you talking about?” Kevin questioned.

“Yeah man, what are you jabbering about now?” AJ asked, trying to grip the situation in hand.

“I heard you.” Nick didnīt offer anymore explanations and only out of sheer nervousness, started to chew on another slice of pizza.

“Heard what?” Brian was trying to act calm.

“You and Kevin, talking about quitting, leaving the management and stuff.” Now the cat was out of the bag.

“Oh!” Brian looked like he wanted to sink through the floor.

“Is this true?” Howie turned to the oldest in the group, who looked away. Not wanting to answer. “Kevin?”

“Yeah it is!” Nick sputtered. “It is and they were not going to say anything to us beacuse they didnīt know if we could keep a secret.”

“Man, were there mushrooms in the pizza?” AJ was trying to lighten up the mood. It didnīt work. “This dude has to be high,” He slapped Nick's back. All he got was a glare.

“Nick, itīs not..not like that.” Brian's voice was weak, but Nick didnīt buy it.

“Really? This is what Iīve heard and my question is how much are you keeping from us? I mean what if itīs a major surgery and..and..something goes wrong? How am I suppose to trust you when you talk behind our back?” Nick was a master of putting guilt into others and this time it worked brilliantly.

“What is Nick talking about, tell me.” Howie was taking charge of the situation. This had Kevin starting to talk and soon they told the rest of the boys the story about the management. Afterwards all of them agreed that something had to be done.

“Youīre telling us that they are ripping us out of LOTS of money.” AJ asked, dollar signs flashing in his eyes.

“Yes, they have the best percentage. Look at us, we're bunking together, spending time at small hotels when we are the one that should be cut the best deal,” Kevin stated.

“I donīt mind sharing,” Nick piped up. The anger mixed with nervousness had calmed down and now he was back at listening again.

Brian couldnīt help but smile. He knew that Nick's fierceful reaction mainly came from being scared. Scared what would happen to him when he went into surgery. Afraid that he would leave the band. The group meant the world to Nick. It was his family. Mentally Brian decided that when the right time came he would talk to Nick about it all. In private.

The conversation went on and Nick continue to chew on the pizza. Soon there were just one slice left and as he reached out to grab it he felt a hand on his hand.

“What?” he asked peering into AJīs eyes.

“Whoīs saying that itīs yours.” He gestured towards the slice. AJ was into teasing again. The other boys watched with amusement.

“Why? Itīs my food and I want it.”

“ You donīt think you have had enough?” Kevin asked.

This had Nick upset. “How come weīre talking about management and heart surgery and suddenly the topic is turned into being about me and my eating habits? If I want the food Iīll eat it. End of story.” With that he stuffed the slice into his mouth. Chewing on it, distinctly, mouth open as he chewed.

The rest of the guys frowned with disgust.

8 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 8

“Man, I shouldnīt have eaten that last piece,” Nick moaned as he was sitting in the van, waiting to go to the dance studio. Groaning he held his stomach, “That stuff was poison.” Bending over he tried to find relief for his aching stomach.

“Well no one forced you,” Kevin said with a frown. The blonde was in too much pain to answer and instead he held up a hand, “Wait!”

There were silence as four pair of heads turned at his direction. Nick opned his mouth and then let out a long and loud belch that shook the whole van. It echoed in the small car and AJ burst out laughing.

“Oh sorry,” Nick mumbled as he covered his mouth, a tad too late.

“Jeeze Nicky, can you be any more disgusting?” The Latino called out, schruncing up his nose, fanning with his hand infront of him. The distinctive smell of pizza had filled the van.

“Donīt temp him,” Brian laughed as Nick looked up a bit dazed.

“Way to go bro,” AJ commented as he slapped his friend on his back. This was a bad idea since it started a chain reaction and Nick let out another loud burp.

“Man, what have you been eating?“ Kevin asked, “It smells like something died in here.”

“I have a stomach ache,” the teen complained as he fumbled with the top button on his jeans. He had to get it open or he would surely explode. “Oh thatīs better,” he sighed satisfeld as he managed with his task. He sank further down in the seat.

“You alright dude?” Brian asked as Nick closed his eyes.

“Yeah there had to be something wrong with the pizza,” he moaned as he rubbed his aching abdomen.

“The only thing wrong with the pizza was that you ate too much.” Kevin commented, trying to educate him he continued, “You know you wouldnīt feel so sick if you for once stopped and thought about what you were doing.”

Opening one eye Nick peered at his friend, “What da ya mean?” he mumbled.

“You eat too much junk, man.” AJ offered as an explanation.

“Like youīre the one to talk Mr. McDonald's,“ Brian was set to defend his friend.

“Well I didnīt eat an extra LARGE pizza topped with cheese and..”

Nick turned pale, “Donīt mention food,” he moaned.

This had Brian frowning, “That bad?”

All he got was a nod. Nick turned his head towards the cool window. His stomach ached really bad and he needed relief.

“Maybe itīs just gas,” Brian offered, trying to soothe the teen.

“Just gas?” AJ grinned, “ Man B do you know who youīre talking about? This is the dude that makes South Park look mild.” He chuckled.

“Well donīt try to get rid of it in here,” Howie looked like he was thinking of an escape route.

“Donīt worry,” Nick moaned, “Iīm keeping it in..although,” he got a mischevious grin, “although it would feel sooooo good to let it out.”

“Man,” AJ pretended to take cover, “Let us know first so we can put on some oxygen masks.”

“That is disgusting.” Howie commented as AJ made a fake fart sound.

Nick moaned again. “Are we there yet? The pizza is ripping my stomach apart.”

Kevin raised an eyebrow. “You feel sick for real?”

A nod. “Yeah, I think I need to lay down.”

“How are you going to manage to dance feeling like that?” Brian wanted to know. Nick shrugged.

“Iīm sure I feel better as soon as I get some pepto or something.” He was always trying to see the best in an situation and couldnīt afford the whole dance routine to be fucked up just beacuse he overindulged himself on food. Another belch was heard again and the boys groaned.

“NIIIIICCCKKKK!!”

“Sorry.” And so it continued.

Fatima had been called in more or less in an emergency beacuse the dance routine needed some fixing up before they were going on the European tour. They only had a few days to practice before they were going back on the road again. There were still many shows left before they had fulfilled the American concert dates. It was a sucess wherever they went and everybody wanted them. It was no lie that their schedules were really packed.

“Ok guys,” the driver said, “weīre here.” As on cue the five of them jumped out of the van, that was four boys jumped out wanting fresh air badly. The fifth and youngest member who would soon turn 18 in less than a week, took his time. His stomach was positively killing him and he was starting to think that there might be seriously wrong with his gut.

“Iīve gotta head to the can,” he mumbled as soon as he came into the lobby. With no further words he ran towards the restroom hearing the rest of the guys laugh at him. Nick however wasnīt laughing. He went into the furthest stall, sitting down, hoping to find relief. When no such thing came and he instead started to feel queasy and sweaty he decided that he had to end the pain.

Bending over the bowl, he closed his eyes as he stuck his index finger down his throat. If there were one thing he hated to do it was throwing up. Yet he often felt so much better afterwards and this was what he was aiming for as he stuck his finger as far down as he could managed. He gagged violently, but nothing more happend.

“Aww shit,” he moaned as he desperatly wanted the pain in his gut to stop. He spat in the bowl, feeling dizzy with nausea. ‘Come on,' he urged himself ‘Come on Carter donīt be such a whimp. Do it!’ With that he stuck his finger down his throat again and this time it gave result. The pizza that had been so great devouring colored the water down below. Quickly he flushed the toilet, not wanting to see what was decorating the bowl. His stomach had come into real cramps and he heaved once more. This time there wasn't any need for any help and he felt gradually better as he got rid of the disgusting food in his stomach.

Afterwards, when he was done, he was totally exhausted. Sinking back on the floor, head leaning against the cool tiles, he tried to regain posture. Slowly he realized that he felt tons better again and that the pain in his stomach had lessened. Strangely a great feeling washed over him and it felt good that he had managed to rid himself of whatever it was that was bothering him. When his legs could carry him, he stood up and walked over to the sink. There he rinsed out his mouth from the foul taste and washed his face several times.

The pain was gone and he hurried out to the others.

**************************************

“Well done Nick,” Fatima commented as Nick did his moves. “I can see that you have worked on the dance routine.” A blah was heard from the rest and Nick smiled widely. Turning to the rest of them she said, “You guys should follow Nicks example when it comes to “Weīve got it going on. Move your hip like he does..yeah baby.” She chuckled as Nick showed the dance move again.

“Man that sucks,” AJ called out, “That move looks like you have shit your pants.” Loud laughter interupted.

Nick turned red in his face. “Youīre all jealous,” he stated.

“Yeah on what?” AJ challanged, “On you fatso?” He sounded pissed and if there were one thing that ticked him off it was when someone was being better than him dancing, especially if it was his little brother. AJ was the king of dacne and this was something he wanted it to be.

“Bone!” Kevin gave the skinny twenty year old an eye.

“Uh..Iīm just stating the facts, jeeze cool down.” AJ went silent.

Nick shrugged, “He's pissed because he doesnīt get as many girls as I do.”

Nick shrugged, “He's pissed because he doesnīt get as many girls as I do.”

“What?” AJ choked, turning to the rest he commented, “What is this little fuck saying? That he has more babes than me?? Man there must have been something really wrong with the pizza after all. It had to be laced.”

Nick stuck out his tounge just to be hit in his head seconds later.

"Ouccchhh," he rubbed the sore spot

Brian shook his head then he turned to his friend, “Frack, youīre feeling better buddy?”

“Huh?” For a moment Nick didnīt know what he was talking about, then he remembered. Blushing slightly a bit warm in his face he said, “Yeah, you were right it was just gas.”

“Ok, good.” Brian was quick with his words, not wanting any further details.

AJ grinned.

Deep inside Nick couldnīt help to feel a bit ashamed yet good about what he had done. Making himself sick. If he had known what a dangerous path he was about to walk he would have stopped right there and then, but then you canīt look into the future, can you?

9 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 9

"Happy fricken birthday, dumbass", Nick mumbled as he glared at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. "Yeah, you, I was talkin' to you, you big fat dummy!" Staring at himself for a moment, Nick shrugged his shoulders and sighed. 'Yeah, I know pretty much why they went out. I-I donīt blame them either.'

As he walked towards the bed, Nick spied the box his mother had sent him from home. He looked at the note that she had written:

I know how much you love my chocolate chip cookies.

I baked them special just for you sweetheart.

Make sure you share them with the rest of the guys.

Love you and miss you

Mom

Wadding the paper into a tiny ball, Nick aimed for the wastebasket in the corner of the room, completely missing the target.

"Yeah, canīt do that right either, Carter," he grumbled.

After turning on the television, Nick focused his attention to the box of from home and pawed at the brown wrapper, ripping it off with ease. His mouth watered at the site of the cookies laying in the box. There were at least five dozen inside waiting to be eaten.

Laying on his back, feet up against the headboard and the wall, Nick watched tv from an upside down position, munching away - cookie after cookie.

"God, I could go for some milk," he stated outloud looking huge wood cabinet that would house the mini fridge and a stocked courtesy bar.

"Oh boy, jackpot!" Nick yelped when he opened the door and found milk, sodas and juices stockedpiled in the mini fridge. Inside the cabinet there was an assortment of potato chips, candy bars and other convenience food items. 'I can just have a party of my own,' he thought as he started to help himself to the goods that were available.

Deciding on a movie to rent, he called the front desk and placed his order. With all the snacks situated around him, Nick could of cared less that the guys had left him to go out, he found the best company he could possibly have - himself, tons of snacks and homemade cookies.

Life was good.

******

"How much longer before we bring Nick down?" Brian asked his cousin as he kept glancing over his shoulder.

"God Bri, would ya just chill man? You act like weīre gonna rob a bank or something! Quit being so damned nervous."

Helping Kevin with situating some white wooden chairs, Brian shook his head. "I canīt help it. You should have seen the look on Nickyīs face when I told him we were going out clubbing. He looked heartbroken."

"Heīll get over it once he sees the surprise," AJ reassured.

"Oh, I dunno, you know Nick and his temper," Brian looked at AJ with worry.

"Come on, the kidīs 18 now, donīt you think heīd learn to realize that the world donīt revolve around birthdays? Good god Brian," AJ shook his head. "Now, if weīre done in here, I need to take a break for a smoke."

"Youīve been smoking since weīve been in this room," Howie pointed out.

AJ peered at Howie over the tops of his sunglasses. "And your point?"

Shaking his head, Howie shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

Kevin checked with the hostess, making sure that the last minute preparations were ironed out and that everything was set to go. He was always a stickler for details and he wanted Nickīs party to go smooth.

"I guess since the majority of the guests have arrived, you can go ahead and get Nicky," Kevin sighed. He quickly grabbed Brian by the arm as the young man tried to make a hasty exit. "Make sure heīs dressed appropriately!"

Brian rolled his eyes in reply. "Youīd think I would let Nick come down in sweats or something? Honestly Kevin, you know I know better."

Kevin shook his head. "Yeah I know you do, itīs just that since Johnny and Lou decided to roll this surprise party into a PR event, everything has to be perfect, no bad press."

Brian gave a thumbs up. "Yep, got it. Can I go now?"

"Yeah, you can go, got your room card?"

Again Brian rolled his eyes and produced the card. "Iīm not Nickolas!"

******

"Oh god, Iīm stuffed," Nick moaned as he put a hand on his stomach. He felt beyond comfortable and his full stomach was protesting the feeling of the equilivant of eating three Thanksgiving Dinners.

As he laid on his back staring at the ceiling, thoughts kept popping into his mind. All the remarks about pigging out, stuffing himself, chubby kept gnawing at his subconscious.

"Like I care at this point?" Nick defended to an empty room. He moaned again as his stomach once again annouced that it was too full.

Recalling how after he threw up he had felt so much better, Nick decided this was going to be the only way he could get relief and possibly escape his misery. Dragging himself slowly off the bed, he trudged toward the bathroom.

Whistling as he exited the elevator, Brian pulled out the door card to the hotel room he and Nick shared. He was hoping that Nick would be pleased with the surprise party, especially after all the attention that AJ had earlier this month with the party Denise threw for him.

As he slid the card into the slot, he paused when he heard gagging noises coming from the other side of the door. Cocking his head to one side, he listened again.

'This canīt be coming from our room,' Brian mentally debated.

Placing the card in the slot again, he pushed the door open and was instantly greeted with gagging noises again.

"Nick? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think I got a flu bug,"Nick replied quietly, sinking down to the floor onto the back of his legs. He barely managed to throw anything up, and still felt like shit.

Brian looked at the mess that was laying on Nickīs bed, the floor next to it, the dressers and the small table that set near the scenic window. "Yeah, must be some flu bug. Oh god Nick, what did you do?"Brian said,shaking his head.

Nick mentally slapped himself for leaving the trail of evidence to his binge in the hotel room."I had a party since no one cared to be with me on my birthday," he defended through gritted teeth.

"It looks like you ate enough here for about twenty people," Brian observed with a frown.

Nickīs face grew flushed from embarrassment and anger at Brians statement. "What difference does it make to you?"

"It makes a lot of difference, you canīt keep doing this to yourself, youīve been way out of control.."

"Stop it, okay! I donīt want to hear any lectures. Itīs my life," Nick rasped. "Iīm eighteen fucking years old - Iīm a fucking man and I can make my own fucking choices!"

Brian physically cowered when Nick yelled as if the words were hitting him. Nickīs tantrum ended with him laying down ontop of all the wrappers that littered his bedding.

"Nick, you need to come with me, we have a meeting downstairs," Brian stated softly.

"Have it without me, I donīt feel good," Nick whined.

"Nick, please you have to come with me, get dressed!" Brian urged.

"No."

"Come on, if you go down with me no one will know what went on in this room while we were away",Brian begged.

"What I do in my room is my own business!"

"Iīll tell Kevin."

Nicks eyes grew wide. "You wouldnīt, would you?"

Brian simply nodded in reply. This was all it took for Nick to get off the bed and rumage through the pile of clothes that laid on the floor.

"You need to find something clean, okay?"

"Thereīs some clean things," Nick answered, his head still down tossing a pair of black sweatpants and a gray tee shirt onto the bed.

Brian walked over to the duffel bag that held some of Nicks clothes and pulled out a pair of jeans and a black Nike tee shirt. "Here, put this on."

Eying the jeans, Nick shook his head. "Youīre kidding me? I canīt wear jeans, my stomach hurts."

"I donīt feel sorry about that Nick, you did that to yourself. Hurry up!"

Nick took the clothes and stepped into the bathroom. After a few minutes of struggling to get the zipper on his jeans to pull all the way up, he realized that fastening the top button over the top of his distended stomach was out of the question tonight.

"Okay, you ready now?"Brian asked as he turned the television off.

Nick burped in reply.

"Nick thatīs gross," Brian grimaced.

" Sorry,I canīt help it," he whined as he followed his older brother to the elevator. "I hope this meeting is short cause I donīt feel good at all."

10 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 10

Nick leaned his back against the wall on the elevator and closed his eyes. It wasn’t enough that his stomach was bothering him, now sweat was coming out of every pore in his body and he could swear he was getting warm from a fever. Although his eyes were closed, he could feel Brian’s eyes on him.

“Nick? Are you gonna be able to make it?” Brian asked, concern evident in his voice.

When Nick opened his mouth to reply, a burp escaped. “Um, yeah I guess.” He opened his eyes and saw the disgusted look on Brian’s face, eyebrow raised in question.

“Sounds like it,” he grinned, trying to lighten up the mood.

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I guess I don’t have a choice since management is hounding me again.”

The elevator jerked to a stop on the third floor. Nick put a hand on his belly and swallowed.

“You gonna get sick again?” Brian whispered.

Nick slowly shook his head.

An elderly couple slowly got on the elevator - a little too slow for Nick’s comfort. He mentally yelled for them to hurry up.

“Ground?” Brian asked, finger poised over the close door button.

“I don’t know Luther, is the garage on the ground floor? Or are we suppose to see Estelle and Floyd in the lobby? I’m not sure,” the older woman asked her husband in a tiny, sweet voice.

Nick reached around Brian and punched the button to the lobby and then the close door button. “Figure it out after we get off,” he hissed through gritted teeth.

Brian smiled sheepishly at the couple. “I’m sorry, my friend doesn’t feel well tonight.” As Brian finished his sentence, a high pitched squeak came from Nick’s side of the elevator. Thankfully, the couple didn’t notice the noise, but red faced, Brian grinned at the couple. He silently prayed the elevator would get to the floor before the smell would annouce what Nick had just done.

The rest of the short ride was uneventful and Nick practically knocked the couple into the wall to get past them off the elevator. The walls felt like they were closing in on him and he was feeling clausterphobic - usually it was Brian that was clausterphobic, but feeling so bloated and uncomfortable, Nick was having a hard time dealing with anything at the moment.

“Okay, follow me down the hall, it’s in a conference room,” Brian motioned.

“God, wouldja slow down?” Nick whined as he tried to keep up with Brian’s fast pace. “Come on Bri! I told you I didn’t feel good.”

When Brian finally stopped outside of the room, Nick balked as he looked at the double white doors. He shook his head.

Brian tugged at Nick’s arm. “Come on, you’re gonna make us late, what’s wrong now?”

Nick narrowed his eyes as he read the gold plated sign on the doors. “White Lakes Hall. Why are we meeting in a huge banquet hall?”

“Probably because they couldn’t find a room in a short amount of time I guess,” Brian lied.

Nick burped loudly once again, rubbing his stomach.

Brian winced. “Hey, could you try and not do that during the meeting? Management is always onto you about something, don’t give them the satisfaction of giving them more to go on!”

“Sorry, I can’t help it,” he moaned in reply.

Brian sighed. “I don’t know what to tell you, you did this to yourself, maybe you learned a lesson from it.”

Upon hearing the mini lecture from Brian, Nick could only roll his eyes. Catching Brian’s glare, he pushed past his brother and opened the door to the banquet room.

”Suprise!”

Nick slammed the door shut on the roomful of people and quickly leaned his body up against it. Brian reached around and tried to get to the door knob.

“Nick! Have you gone psycho? Open that door!”

Nick shook his head. “No.”

“Yes.”

“No!”

“Yes!”

”NO!”

“Oh, for the love of God, Nick, just open the damn door now!”

Upon hearing Brian use the adjective damn to describe the door, he realized that he had blown a fuse with his older brother and reluctantly opened the door to face the crowd of well wishers.

Nick wanted to crawl under a rock and die. He didn’t feel up to seeing a bunch of people in a room. He felt sick and he didn’t want to be gawked at which was what was happening. He tugged nervously at the black tee shirt he was wearing.

“Hey Nicky, got a seat right here for you,” AJ rasped as he clamped a hand down on Nick’s shoulder.

“Uh, um okay, thanks,” Nick mumbled in reply as he followed AJ towards a round table that was situated in the front of the room. He leaned in towards AJ. “Hey, how come there’s all these people here I don’t know?”

AJ started laughing. “Because it’s a promo party too fatass, you’d think we could get all these people here just for your birthday?”

Nick stared down at the empty white plate in front of him. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Hey Nickster, happy birthday!” Howie commented as he leaned down and hugged his Backstreet brother. He pulled back and saw that Nick’s face looked anything but pleased. “What’s wrong? Aren’t you surprised? Kevin worked hard on this ya know.”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I’m happy.”

Howie continued studying Nick’s face. “I don’t buy that.” He sat down in the chair next to his young friend and positioned it to face him. “Tell me what’s wrong.” Nick didn’t reply, just shook his head. “Spill it little dude.”

Nick glanced around the room full of guests nervously. He shrugged his shoulders again.

“Nick, please, you gotta talk about what’s buggin you, you can’t keep it bottled up, it’s not healthy,” Howie begged.

As Nick finally opened his mouth to speak, a cluster of young female fans stood next to Howie at the table, cameras, pens and papers in hand. Feeling sick to his stomach and now feeling totally worthless, Nick knew he had a job that he had to do and pasted a phoney smile on his face and stood up.

“Ohmygosh, you’re tall,” a red haired girl gushed as she looked up into Nick’s eyes.

Another girl threw her arms around Nick, almost knocking him onto the floor. His stomach still so full and tender, he winced when her body pushed against his stomach. “Ooof.”

After roughly thirty minutes of being cordial to fans and guests, Nick sank back down in his chair. He couldn’t do it anymore, he felt drained. Thoughts of the hotel bed kept creeping into his head. Momentairly forgetting where he was, he burped loudly.

“God, check your shirt Nicky,” AJ laughed, spilling his drink on himself.

“I think it’s time for dinner to be served,” Kevin hissed as he looked at both AJ and Nick. “You two need to be separated.”

“I can handle myself fine, it’s dumbass there you’d have to worry about for the big bad PR,” AJ rasped.

Instead of feeling good about himself and the fact that he turned eighteen and was having a party thrown for him, Nick was feeling more and more worthless. He was practically beating himself up mentally and letting all of the remarks AJ normally threw at him, to heart.

“Good let’s eat, I’m starving,” Nick announced. Brian’s mouth dropped open. He didn’t say a word as Nick ate everything from the salad to the main course. Knowing how full Nick was, he couldn’t believe that the kid had any room left for a cracker let alone a three course meal.

To Nick, the eating was his way of dealing with the millions of emotions he was feeling at the moment. Feelings of lonliness, rejection, self esteem hitting rock bottom. Food had always been a source of comfort and he had decided that since he would be busy eating, no one would force him into a conversation and there was no way he would be required to say anything therefore he wouldn’t be able to make another stupid comment that would be thrown in his face for the next several months. At this very moment, he hated himself and he hated being involved in the so-called birthday party that had been thrown for him by management.

“Judas Nick, you look like you’re pregnant!” AJ joked as he rubbed Nick’s slightly swollen stomach.

Nick swatted AJ’s hand’s away and flashed an angry look. “Don’t do that!”

“God, touchy?”

“I just said don’t do that, okay?” Nick stated with a clenched jaw.

Suddenly, the crowd erupted into a chorus of “Happy Birthday” and all attention was on Nick sitting at the round table with his band brothers. Cameras were flashing and people were applauding.

Four men walked out of the kitchen area pushing a five tiered chocolate cake with eighteen candles on a stainless steel cart.

“Oh god,” Nick breathed. He had forgotten about the birthday cake. He really needed to escape this, he felt so sick to his stomach and now here was this cake that they would expect him to eat a piece of. He leaned forward as best as he could and reached underneath the table to undo the to button on his jeans. Once that task was accomplished, he felt a little better. He barely listened to Kevin’s speech, but was thoughtful to keep a stupid grin on his face the whole time that Kevin spoke.

“Nick?....yo, dude!” AJ rasped, waving his hand in front of Nick’s face. “You’re spacing out!”

Nick quickly jerked back into reality, his face immediately turned bright red. He looked at AJ. “Huh?”

“Wanna blow out the candles so you can cut this mutha?” AJ whispered.

Nick shifted nervously in his chair. Taking a deep breath, he nodded and stood up, ignoring AJ’s snickering. The crowd chanted in anticipation for Nick to blow the candles out: ”one.......two........three!”

Along with air being expelled as Nick tried to blow out the candles came a huge burp. Clamping a hand over his mouth, Nick bolted from the room, nearly knocking a surprised Johnny and Lou down in the process.

Nick ran down the hall towards the elevators, tears now streaming down his flushed cheeks. He could hear the footsteps behind him and tried his best to outrun whoever was following him.

“Nicky! Wait up!”

The only lucky thing that Nick had happen to him tonight was that an elevator car was waiting. He quickly slipped on and punched the number to the floor he needed. The doors closed as Howie stood on the opposite side.

Nick wanted to be alone. He didn’t want anyone near him.

He did nothing but fuck up for the group.

11 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection -Chapter 11

”I am sooo tired,” Brian moaned as sank down beside AJ at the breakfast table. Rubbing his eyes frantically he tried to wake up. But it was no use. His body felt like lead.

“Yeah? How come?” Howie asked as he sat down on the chair, setting his full plate on the table infront of him.

“Well let me put it this way..there is NO way you can sleep when you have Nick running to the bathroom all night, making the most horrible noises that one can ever hear.” He wrinkled his forehead in disgust.

“Ewww that sounds nasty,” Howie agreed, “he was in no shape yesterday at all.”

“No, he wasnīt.” Brian sighed, then yawned loudly, “Sorry man,” he appologized.

“What a bum to catch the flu at this point. On his birthday and all,” Charles the drummer in the band said as he shook his head from pity.

"If the dude at least could have been drunk so it could have been worth it," AJ pondered, getting an eye both from Brian and Howie.

"What?" he asked, holding up a hand he defended himself, "I was just stating facts."

"The flu always sucks," Peter, their bass guitarist said., "Nick looked pretty bad off. I almost felt sorry for him," he grinned, "almost."

‘Yeah right,’ Brian thought. Even if he wanted to tell the rest of the guys about the bingeing he wasnīt about to do so. Deep down inside he felt a bit bad since Nick had gotten so sad when they said that they were going clubbing. The arranged surprise party had become a disaster Nick wise. He slapped himself mentally for not listening to his friend when he told him that he wasnīt feeling well at all. Yet he had pushed him, both from wanting to surprise him, but also from being pissed over the way Nick abused his body. He was no health freak but had the highest respect for the body feeling that it was a sacred place that one should take good care off.

“Man, helllloooooooo,” AJ shouted, waving a hand infront of Brian, “Anyone there??? Youuu hoooo?”

“Knock it off,” Brian swatted his friend's hand away like it was an annoying fly.

“Dude, you were spacin’ out like Nicky boy.” AJ grinned as he peered over his glasses, “By the way where is fatass at?”

“Sleeping.”

“Well he better get his ass up now,” Kevin said as he came into the room. “ Johnny and Lou are upset over the way he behaved yesterday and they want to have a loooooong talk with him.”

“Oh crap.” AJ shook his head. Now he knew that Nick was in for another round.

“Nick is in no mood to talk right now.” This was truth since he had left the blonde moaning in bed, still having an stomachache from overinduging himself.

“Yeah the flu can be rough,” Charles agreed.

Howie who also knew the secret shook his head. He had been very disgusted with the blonde and seeing all those candy wrappers as well as cookie crumbs had his stomach rumble. “Nick needs to stop eating so much,” he mumbled getting a surprised glance from the rest of the boys.

He could swear that Brian looked at him in a certain way, like he knew what was up with their friend. Nick always overdid everything. Whether it was being emotional to pigging out it didnīt matter. He was either high or low and resembled that Energizer Bunny from the commercial. He was energetic until his battery suddenly died down and there was no way in getting energy into the dude.

“Yeah, but I pretty much doubt that he will be in for any food today,” Brian said as he took a sip of his tea.

“Or cookies.” Howie added. This comment had Brian looking over at the Latino. Did he also know about Nick's binging? He tried to catch his eye, but Sweet D’ just looked away.

“Either way, he has to get up now because we should leave for Kansas city soon.” Kevin concluded, “and like I said, management wants to have a word with him.”

“Okay,” Brian stood up, pushing his full plate away. He had no appetite this morning and all he could stomach was tea and some toast. Being up all night always had Brian's system go haywire and he didnīt function properly on too little sleep or food. That made him grumpy and in the end sick. Brian Littrell needed his beauty sleep!

“Where are you going?” Howie asked, rasing an eyebrow, “youīre not gonna eat that?” He gestured with his fork towards the food that Brian had left.

“No,” Brian shook his head, “Iīm not that hungry, besides Iīm going to get Frack up and that is a task that wonīt be easy.”

"Yeah," AJ grinned, "you better bring an oxygen mask. The way Nicky looked you might need one."

"Lethal waste." Charleds added and they all laughed out loud.

"More like Nulclear waste." Brian smiled too.

After making a few jokes, Kevin was the one that had them back to seriousness again. “You need to eat cuz, we canīt afford you to be sick on this upcoming European tour,” he said with a frown.

Brian glanced at the Kentuckian. Kevin always had a hard time expressing his feelings. He knew deep inside that he was very worried over the upcoming heart surgery, even if he didnīt say that out loud. To tell the truth so was Brian too. Worried. What if something happend? What if he didnīt make it? The thoughts swirled around his head and these days he felt pretty moody. He knew that he was not being much comfort to Nick who seemed always to be moody as well.

“I will, well Iīm getting Nick now so we can leave.” With that he walked out of the breakfast room, leaving the rest discussing the way the youngest member had acted at the surprise party. Nick was always a topic for discussion. Good and bad.

*************

Brian hesitated slightly before stepping in to their room. There were no sounds which indicated that Nick must have fallen asleep while he was away. It was dark since the curtains werenīt set aside and the smell of sickness lingered in the room. He pinched his nose since it didnīt exactly smell like roses. Walking over to the bed he saw that Nick was fast asleep, curled up into a ball. He was covered up to his neck with the bedspread and all that was showing was a piece of blond tousled hair. A moan was heard which had Brian hunching over on his knees.

Nick looked like a small boy, not the eigthteen year old that he was.

“Nick,” he murmured softly as he tried to get the teens attention. A slight movement, but not enough to wake his friend up from the fitful sleep that seemed to have him in his grip.

“Nick,wake up.” This time Brian shook him lightly, “Come on man.”

A groan was heard then a pair of blue eyes opened up, staring at him, “What time izzit?”

“Itīs past nine. Nick you have to get up we have to to get on the bus.”

All that was received was a loud groan, “Not the bus!” His voice was raspy and Brian felt sorry for him. Nick was in no shape to go on a long bustrip.

“How are you feeling now?” he asked as he pulled the covers away.

“Like crap,” The covers were pulled up again, “Iīm freezing.”

“I know,” Brian was silent for a while, “ But you better get started since both Johnny and Lou want to have a talk with you.”

Another loud groan.

“Nick?”

“ Not that too,” his voice sounded pitiful. ”I canīt take this!” A sob was heard and then he put his head under the pillow. “I feel so bad.”

“I know, I know.” Brian whispered. Even tough he felt that this was all due to Nick's own doing he still hated to see his friend so miserable. Standing up he glanced over the room,which was cleaned up from last nights events. Seeing what he was searching for he picked up the black sweats and the tee-shirt. “Is this ok?”

Nick peered up from his cocoon. A short nod, ”Yeah, I donīt want anything that touches my stomach.”

“That bad?”

“Mhmmm..” The teen sat up in bed, wincing, “ I feel like my inside are about to rip apart.”

“Did you get to puke some?” Brian asked frankly. The fact that Nick had been heaving and gagging without no results the whole night and morning had him a bit concerned. Usually Nick found it very easy to get sick, but this time when he needed the most relief it was like his body betrayed him and instead left him in a great deal of pain.

“Almost nothing.” Then he said, “So management wanna have a talk with me, you didnīt say anything to them did you?” He narrowed his eyes to Brian, “you know..about me eating and all.”

Brian shook his head, “No, but Howie knows.”

“Yeah he was with me yesterday when I,” A loud belch interupted his speech, “ahhh that felt good,just what Iīve been waiting for.”

“Nick!” Brian wasnīt squimish but hearing sounds like that in the morning made his stomach churn. From his point of view he thought it was sufficent enough that Nick was the only one enduring an upset stomach.

“What?” The teen rubbed his stomach, “Gosh I feel like an balloon. Now if I just could fart..”

“Nick!” Brian couldnīt help to grin. His friend was always so carefree with everything, including his bodily problems. “You were saying something before..”

“Huh?” The blonde looked puzzled, then he said, “Oh that..well D was here, he followed me and he saw it all.I hope that he doesnīt say anything to Johnny OR Kevin.”

“He wonīt.” Brian reassured him. If there was one thing Sweet D’ never did it was talking behind someones back. In the early days he could be such a Goody two shoes, but not these days. Howie had matured and he was a great listener. In fact Brian often went to him to discuss different kinds of problems. He was the bands shrink.

“God,” Nick stood up, bending over slightly, “Iīm still full,” he complained as he picked up his clothes and made his way to the bathroom, slamming the door behind him in the process. The sounds that followed were nothing but low. A relieved, “I needed thaaaaaat” soon followed which had Brian laughing. Apparently his problems were solved.

Nick could be such a gas.

12 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 12

”Whatīs all the commotion about?” AJ asked as he motioned with his tumb towards the loud yelling in the backroom. Heīd just done another show and was dead on his feet from exhaustion. Sweat poured down his back and he wiped his face off with the white towel hanging around his neck.

“Management is telling Nick off,” Brian said with a sigh as he uncapped the lid of the waterbottle and took a mouthful. He was just as tired as his friend, even though they had made a success that evening.

“No shit? Couldnīt they at least have given the kid some space?”

“Johnny and Lou thought he fucked up when he hit the wrong cue on some places at tonights show,” Kevin explained.

“Yeah figures. They knew that Nick was in no shape to perform tonight,” Brian said, closing his eyes. He too had been in no shape to perform, much due to lack of sleep. Even though he knew that Nick felt like shit he still had to admire the enthusiasm that the blonde put in to his performance. Okay, he had done some small mistakes, yet it was nothing to discuss since preforming with a stomach ache was one thing that sucked. That he knew from first hand experience.

Turning to Kevin he said, “I donīt think itīs right that management nags at Nick all the time. We better do something.”

Kevin shook his head, “No it isnīt," he said with afterthought, “still what can we do? Not much since itīs their call and really..Nick messed up..he is starting to slack at so many points.”

“Well he is just a kid. A teen,” Brian sighed. “Nick has his own worries and they should show him support instead of knocking him down everytime he does something that displeases them.”

“Yeah youīre right. They need to cut him some slack.” AJ agreed.

“I swear sometimes Nick has me a bit worried,” Howie said with a frown.

“Why?” Brian looked up, catching a glance at his cousin. He felt the same as Howie, he guessed they all did yet they kept their faces. Played the charade.

“I donīt know..but I have a bad feeling about him. He was way too young to start in this business and itīs been hard on him you know. Being away from his family, touring and all. A kid his age should be with his family and not running around the world all the time. Pleasing others."

Three pair of eyes stared at the Latino who had uttered the words. All with different comments.

“I was just as young when I started,”AJ defended.

“Yeah?” Brian laughed, “and look how you turned out to be.” He got a hit on his head by the young man.

“Jerk.”

Brian grinned.

“Really Nick knew what he was getting into when he went into this business. He knew that he wasnīt in for a picnic. All he has to do is to hit the right notes. How hard can that be?” Kevin hated it when something was not going smoothly at the concert. He wanted it all to be under highest perfection.

“Yeah, but if you had to preform feeling as bad as Nick did tonight you would miss cues too,” Brian gave his cousin an irritated glare.

All he got back was a shrug.

“Think we should talk with Johnny and explain that things are a bit rough for Nicky right now?” Howie was genuinely concerned over the way the blonde had acted the past weeks. It was like something really bothered him and he was not in the best of shape either. The cookie bingeing that he had been in for last night also had him a bit frightened. He had a friend that had been into the same behavoir and there were some resemblences to what Nick was doing. The friend had an eating disorder that nearly killed her. He didnīt want to say that Nick suffered from such a thing, as far as he thought the teen overate too much.

“Yeah and what good would that do?” AJ sneered, “Like if management even listened to us.”

“Well we canīt just leave it. Nick is our buddy.”

“Where are you going?” Kevin said as he saw his cousin standing up to go over to the room where the noises came from.

"Well someone got to talk with Johnny and Lou. Itīs not fair that Nick is getting all that crap." They heard upset voices coming from the room behind and judging for it the teen was in for a real treat. In a not-so-good way.

“Brian leave it alone,” AJ commented.

Howie nodded too as he grabbed the young mans arm, “We all know that you care for Nicky. But really it wonīt do you any good if you go up and defend Nicky right now.”

“The kid is eigthteen years old for crying out loud. He needs to learn to take his responsibilites some time.”

“Kev, why do you always complain about him?” Brian felt upset.

“I do not.” The darkhaired man was stubborn, “ Itīs just that he isnīt acting his age at all and I get fed up with him screwing up things all the time.”

“Now youīre not being fair.”

“Stop fighting. It wonīt help Nicky.” Howie tried to steer off the impending argument. To no use. Soon both Brian and Kevin were involved in a heated argument over the way Brian thought that the rest of the guys treated their youngest member. Mainly Kevin.

“Will you two ever stop? Jeeze! Cool it.” AJ said when the volume of their voices gradually rose.

“Fine!” Brian said, “If you think that Nick is that stupid, why do you ever bother to be around him?” He narrowed his eyes towards the older band member.

“I didnīt say that.”

“Yes you did, you said...” And the fight was at it again. Suddenly their argument interrupted abruptly by the boy in question rushing in.

“I hate it..I hate it all.” He yelled as he ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. They could hear sobbing on the other end and Brian was the first one that sprung into action.

“Nick, Nick..open up. What is it?” He knocked on the door, trying to get his friends attention.

“G-go away,” the teen sobbed, making no move to open up.

“Buddy, what is it?”

“I HATE YOU! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!”

A bit surprised over the sudden outburst that came from their youngest member they looked at each other. Had Nick heard their argument? What had happend with the management?

Even tough Kevin had made his comments over the young blonde he still felt very worried. This was not like Nick to be this moody. He didnīt want to admit it but the kid was close to his heart. Closer than he ever expected anyone to be. Maybe this was one of the reasons why he picked and nagged at Nick all the time? Because he felt so much for the kid and was afraid that he would screw up. Not cutting it in the business that he was in.

“Nick!” Kevin said with a soft calm voice, “Open up. Let us talk to you.”

“GO TO HELL!”

“NICK!” Brian seemed shocked over the rude comments that fell over his friends lips.

Kevin was not. "Calm down..hush.." He motioned towards AJ to get something to open the door with. He had to get Nick since he didnīt know what the teen would do. For the first time a frightening feeling that he would do something bad rinsed over him. Like rain in a thunderstorm.

The silence was suddenly interrupted from a gagging noise from the other end of the door. Then the sound of their friend violently heaving into the bowl.

“What the fuck?” AJ shook his head in surprise. The others looked just as startled. This was not something that they had expected.

***********

Purging over and over again, Nick tried to get his feelings in check. He felt like shit and his stomach cramped up violently as he expelled the little that he had eaten through out the day. The concert had been mostly a blur and his stomach was still sore from the constant abuse that it had been through last night. He knew he had fucked up during the concert even tough he didnīt think it was as bad as the management said it was.

Lou and Johnny had chewed him out really good. They had told him that he was starting to slack and also that he was fucking it all up. The thing that hurt the most was that they had said that he was starting to get fat and needed to loose some weight or he would become unattractive and in this business it meant that he wouldnīt get any fans. They said he was looking bloated and they threatned to have him on water and lettuce if he didnīt go on a diet. He had to stop stuffing himself full with candy and junk food.

It didnīt matter how much he tried to defend himself, they still wouldnīt listen. They even complained about that he was still having zits and that his skin looked like a crater. This wasnīt fair. 'Ok he had a few zits here and there but then tell me what teenage boy that didnīt have that,' Nick thought miserably.

He had stood there. Taking in it all. The mental abuse in total silence. Trying to defend himself had been useless. They didnīt listen. They never did. Instead they had dwelled over and over again over the mistakes that he done and how he looked. Not a word had been mentioned that he was almost working 24/7, up and about all the time. Smiling, singing, smiling, hugging fans and pleasing them all.

It hurt! The pain was so strong that he wanted to lay down and die. Instead he bit his lips and swallowed it all down. His stomach ached more and more as they kept on yellig at him. Tears were stinging his eyes and it seemed like everything he did was fuck up. Badly

They had called him a spoiled brat. Last nights promotion party, that they had called his own birthday party, had been a total disaster. They accused him that it was his behavoir that had done so one of the upcoming sponsors had dropped out of the business deal. Claiming that he didnīt want to invest money in a group that had such an immature member.

What also ticked him off was the way they told him that Fatima said that he was missing at the reaharsal. That he showed no enthusiasm and now both Johnny and Lou questioned if he was really fit to go on the European tour. They reminded him that there were easily other good looking singers that could replace him with a blink of an eye. A singer that wasnīt as stupid and fat as he was.

It was like they had stored up all bad feelings about him and then let it out. All at the same time. As the scolding continued he felt more and more usless.

His self confidence hit rock bottom. How could the mangement that had so much believed in him, being their prize moneymaker and all, turn their backs against him? Calling him immature and a looser. It hurt!

But what upset him the most was that after he was going to go to his brothers for comfort he overheard the argument that they had about him. Mostly Kevin and Brian!

He didnīt hear it all but what registered his mind was that they thought he was immature and fucked up all the time. At least Kevin thought so. He was sick and tired of always having to please everybody. Always having to be PERFECT!

It was these feelings that left him feeling nauseous and having him vomit over and over again.

“Nick, come on dude. We wanna help you.” He could hear Brian's desperate plea for him to open up. Yet he ignored it, closing his eyes. Heat rushed over his body as he leaned over once more. His stomach was anything but calm and once more he gagged. The more that left his body the better he felt.

Totally exhausted, crying, he leaned back against the cool tiles when his stomach had nothing more to heave. The bitter taste of bile burned in his throat and his ears were ringing from the task he had endured. His “brothers” were outside and he could hear them talking to each other. Yet he didnīt care. A feeling of warmth was slowly creeping up on him and even if he was sick as a dog he still felt satisfield.

For the first time in life he was in control. Of his own feelings.

13 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 13 "For the love of god Carter, would you just get your fatass out of bed now? They're gonna have a fit," AJ hissed as he pounded on the adjoining door to the hotel room.

"I don't wanna, just go without me," Nick begged as he rolled away from AJ's voice, drawing the covers up tighter against his neck.

"You have to, there's no want to in this Nick!"

"I don't care," Nick whined.

"Yes you do care. We let you sleep in this morning and skip breakfast, which I'm still having a hard time figuring out that you, of all people would want to skip breakfast," AJ said half to himself as he jiggled the door knob. "Come on, get your lazy butt over here and open this door!"

Nick slowly dragged himself out of bed and quickly unlocked the adjoining door and dove back into the bed. He moaned when he heard AJ opening and slamming dresser drawers and then as the clothes hit his body when they were thrown on the bed.

"Now, do everyone a big favor and get your ass out of bed so we can get this PR meeting over with, comprende?"

Nick didn't have to look at AJ's face when the words were directed towards him, he could tell by the sound of the man's voice that his face showed anything but sympathy. He dragged himself out of bed and wandered towards the bathroom.

The chiming of Nick's cell phone pierced the silence.

"Catchy ring," AJ teased, rolling his eyes.

"Tell them I died and went to hell!" Nick leaned out, toothbrush sticking out of his foamy mouth. "I don't want to talk to anyone."

AJ rolled his eyes again and clicked on the phone. "Yeah?.......nope don't worry, I'm making progress, he's brushing his teeth.....The kid's gonna get dressed and we should be down in about 5." AJ folded the phone back up and tossed it on the bed. "Three guesses who that was."

"Kevin."

"Wow, right on the first try, I'm impressed! He said hurry your fuckin' ass up, people are waiting."

Nick sighed. "He didn't say fuckin' ass."

AJ cocked his head to one side, lowering his trademark sunglasses as he watched Nick fumble with the buttons on his shirt. "True, but seriously, Kevin is way too business like all the damn time."

"I think it's got something to do with Kentucky or something, cause Brian's the same way."

AJ folded his arms impatiently across his chest. "Hey are you ready yet? I'll call in detail so we can go," he offered as he started to walk towards the phone.

"Skip security, I really doubt there are any mobs of fans out there waiting for us right now, besides, we haven't been here in this hotel that long," Nick protested.

AJ shrugged his shoulders. "Suit yourself, but if we get nailed, it's your fault and I'm not bailing your ass out, it's gonna be every man for himself."

Nick ducked his head out the open door, looking right and left down the hall. Satisfied that there wasn’t anybody around, he motioned with his hand. “Coast is clear, let’s go.”

“I thought you weren’t worried,” AJ called out, amusement playing in his voice.

“I wasn’t, but a guy can never be too cautious,” Nick replied as he punched the elevator button.

The elevator ride was uneventful and when it was time to get off the car and walk to the conference room, Nick lagged behind. AJ turned around and grabbed the young man’s arm and jerked him towards their destination. “I don’t have time for this shit Nick, I’ve got plans to go shopping with Howie, don’t fuck this up for me again, okay?”

Walking into the conference room, Nick felt all the eyes directed at him.

“So glad you could finally grace us with your presence, Nick,” Johnny hissed as he motioned for them to sit down.

Nick forced a smile. “Sorry.”

“I’ve taken the liberty of having this meeting catered, so I’ve ordered your lunches ahead of time, I’ll go let the kitchen know we’re ready to be served,” Johnny advised, and left the room.

“I’m starving,” Nick remarked, rubbing his stomach, which seemed to growl in reply.

“Don’t get your hopes up, hotel food sucks,” AJ pointed out and with tightwad Lou and Johnny taking care of expenses, we’ll probably have grilled cheese and potato chips.”

“That’s fine by me, I’m starved,” Nick repeated.

Johnny re-entered the room flanked by two women from the kitchen carrying trays with covered platters on them. Johnny laid blue folders at each place setting and talked as he walked around the table. He stopped briefly and whispered to one of the women and gestured at the table. The woman nodded and walked over towards the table with two platters in her hand.

“The folders I’m handing out to you, outlines our schedule for the next six months. It also outlines the expectations of how you are to conduct yourselves during the tour as well as the tour schedule and venue list,” Johnny droned in a mono toned voice.

“Well, well, well, it ain’t grilled cheese,” AJ grinned as he lifted the cover off his plate.

Nick’s mouth watered as he looked over at AJ’s plate that held a cheeseburger, french fries and sliced pickle garnishes. Rubbing his hands together, he eagerly lifted the cover from his plate. The smile that was on his face two seconds ago, vanished. Instead of looking down at a delicious, greasy cheeseburger, Nick’s eyes were met with a tossed salad, cup of dressing on the side.

“Salad?” AJ cackled as he looked at Nick’s plate.

Nick quickly looked around the table and noted that each of the guys had cheeseburgers. He narrowed his eyes at Johnny. “Is this some kind of a joke or something?”

Johnny plunged several fries from his own plate into ketchup and shoved them into his mouth. “No it’s not, is there something wrong with your plate?”

Feeling the tears stinging in his eyes, Nick bit his lip, trying to keep his emotions in check. He looked around the table again and back again at his own plate. Suddenly, all the words that were spoken by Lou and Johnny rang through his mind. He scooted his chair back and jumped up, knocking the chair over.

”Hey! We’re not done here, where are you going?” Johnny called out as Nick fumbled with the handle on the door and shoved it open.

Brian made an attempt to go after Nick, but the firm hand that was placed on his arm by Kevin, held him back in his seat.

“Let him go,” Kevin stated in a quiet voice.

Darting out of the front entrance of the hotel, Nick ran as fast as he could, ignoring the shouts and screams of fans that had camped out by the door. His goal was only halfway down the block and Nick knew that he was taking a big risk going outside without any detail going with him, but this was something he had to do on his own.

Yanking the door open to the McDonald’s and brushing past surprised people, Nick approached the counter, an entorage of fans behind him.

The older woman that stood behind the counter didn’t recognize Nick and seemed a bit baffled by the throng of anxious teens that stood in a cluster behind him. She was the manager and looked around him for a moment.

“Is there a bus?” she asked.

Nick looked at her puzzled. “What?”

“Did all of you come on a bus?” she repeated her question.

Not realizing the woman didn’t know who he was, Nick rolled his eyes. “Yeah we came on a bus.”

Upon hearing Nick’s response, first the woman mumbled “crap” and then she turned around. “I need twenty patties and 4-1 fries!”

Nick shifted the weight on his feet nervously. “Whoa.... whoa, I just want some cheeseburgers for myself.”

“I know, I’m ready to take your order,” she stated with a phoney smile as she held a finger over the keys.

“Okay, three double cheeseburgers, two supersize fries, large chocolate shake and three apple pies, to go,” Nick responded, pulling his wallet out of his back pocket.

After the money was exchanged, Nick waited nervously as the order was prepared. He didn’t dare turn around to see what was behind him.

“Are you getting something for AJ?” a young voice nervously called out from behind.

Nick closed his eyes and shook his head.

“I bet he’s picking stuff up for all the guys,” another voice decided.

“Why is he ignoring us? I thought he was nice to the fans!”

“Maybe he wants to be left alone!”

As the bags were placed on the counter, Nick quickly scooped them up and made a hasty dash towards the exit, pushing past the swelling group of girls that practically filled up the lobby of the restaurant.

Ignoring the stitch of pain he was getting in his side from running, Nick continued his sprint towards the hotel and raced through the lobby towards the elevators, girls running behind him, hotel management yelling at the group.

Gasping for air as he waited, he debated about taking the stairs to his room but dismissed the thought when he realized he would have to go up nine flights of steps. The elevator finally arrived and Nick dashed in, and quickly pressed his floor number then a couple of extra numbers above his floor to throw the girls off.

He was relieved when the elevator finally arrived on the ninth floor and Nick walked calmly to his room, juggling the bags trying to slide the room card in the slot. Once safely inside, he flipped on the television and laid his treasure across the bed.

At first Nick was eating to satisfy his hunger but after the second cheeseburger, he was full. Thoughts of his private meeting with Lou and Johnny echoed in his head. Pushing himself past full, Nick continued eating, not caring about the consequences.

14 by Carrie_Swenglish
Chapter 14

Pissed off about the entire meeting he had with Johnny and Lou, every bite Nick took was his way of fighting back at management.

“How the hell can fatass Lou judge my looks?” Nick tearfully commented outloud. “Fuck him!” he spat angrily and shoved another mouthful of food into his mouth.

Past comments from AJ also crossed through his head. “Fatass? You’re the fatass you skinny freak!” Nick sneered and then shook his head. “That didn’t make sense,” he commented to himself.

Looking around the bed, turning over bags and wrappers, Nick discovered that he had eaten everything he ordered. He felt uncomfortably full but he didn’t care. Nick felt sleepy and decided to lay back and take a nap, figuring that after a few hours he would feel better.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Not knowing what to expect when he entered the room, Brian inched the door open and closed it softly behind him. From where he stood, he only saw Nick’s feet covered in white socks. As he moved further into the room, his breath caught in his throat.

“Oh Nicky,” Brian sighed quietly.

He stood looking down at his sleeping friend for a few moments, sadly shaking his head. Nick laid ontop of the comforter, amid cheeseburger wrappers, french fry boxes and empty apple pie cartons. The mistake made from the kitchen with Nick had him hit rock bottom, Brian assumed.

The meeting had continued without Nick’s presence and Johnny didn’t seem to be overly upset with the way Nick had left the conference room, Brian thought. There were sponsors that had shown up after the lunch and talked with the remaining men for a few hours and Brian was only there physically, mentally he was worried about his young friend.

With only thirty minutes left before they had to be down to the lobby for the shuttle van to the venue, Brian had no other choice but to wake Nick up. He put his hand on Nick’s shoulder, gently rubbing it.

“Nick?”

The only response Brian was rewarded with, was a shake of the head and Nick rolling over ontop of the papers, crinkling noises, and a soft moan.

“Nicky, come on you gotta get up,” Brian coaxed.

“I can’t, I-I don’t feel good,” Nick moaned after he hiccuped.

“I wouldn’t doubt it,” he replied grimly. “Did you get sick?”

“I wish.”

“Did you try?”

Nick shook his head in reply.

Brian eased his body down onto the foot of the bed. “Why did you do this to yourself?”

Nick’s only reply was a shrug of his shoulders. The reason was too embarrassing for him to talk about.

“Hey, you can tell me, we’re friends,” Brian pressed. “There has to be a good reason why you did this.”

“I was hungry,” Nick stated, it sounded almost as a question instead of a statement. He could see that Brian wasn’t buying his excuse. “I don’t want to talk about it. Tell them I’m too sick to go out tonight.”

Brian gave Nick his saddest puppy dog eyes. “And disappoint the fans?”

Nick groaned and rolled his body off the bed. “Okay...alright...okay, I’m going.”

“You realize, this conversation isn’t done though, don’t you?” Brian pointed out.

As he rubbed his tender stomach Nick sighed. “Maybe not for you, but it is for me.”

“Kaos.....”

“Just drop it, okay? I’m not going to talk about it again!” Nick shouted as he grabbed a pair of sweats and a tee shirt and slammed the bathroom door behind him. “EVER!”

Brian sadly shook his head as he directed his attention from the closed bathroom door to the littered bedspread. Grabbing the small trash can that was next to the desk, he went about the task of clearing up the papers and bags. He heard Nick burp in the bathroom, the tile floor and walls made it echo and sound louder than what it really was. “Gross Nick!”

Nick snickered.

“Okay, that’s sick!” Brian called out.

“Hey, can’t a guy fart in the bathroom without your comments? It’s neutral and safe territory!” Nick defended. “Would you like me to come out there and share it with you?”

“NO! Just hurry up, okay? You don’t want to get Johnny pissed off again.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “Johnny can kiss my ass.”

Brian stopped throwing trash in the basket. “What did you say?”

“I’ll be out in a second,” Nick lied. Taking his shirt off, he couldn’t help but notice that his stomach was a little swollen from his eating binge. “Great, something else for them to pick on me about tonight,” he decided as he pulled the white Nike tee shirt over his head. The waistband from the sweatpants dug pressed into his stomach, so Nick cured that problem by lowering the waist down a bit, not caring that it emphasized his gut. “Screw ‘em.”

“Who are you talking to?”

Flinging the bathroom door open, Nick burped loudly again. “Myself.”

Brian’s face showed disgust. “You need to brush up on your manners, kiddo.”

“It’s just you and me in here,” Nick argued.

“True, but if you keep on doing that, you’re bound to slip one of these times.”

Taking a deep breath in, Nick belched out: “Oookaaay.” He immediately regretted doing that manuver when he hiccuped.

“Nice job there Nickolas,” Brian chided. “Ready to go?”

Holding his breath to keep from hiccuping again, Nick nodded yes. Brian knocked on the adjoining door. “Ready in there yet?”

The door creaked open with AJ shoving his face in. “Yep, security is ready.”

“Let’s go then,” Brian stated as he motioned for Nick to follow him through the open door.

“Hey fatty, you feeling better now since you had that temper tantrum?” AJ grinned.

Nick scowled and gave AJ the finger. AJ reciprocated by placing his hand on Nick’s stomach. “So when you due?”

“AJ, knock it off and leave Nick alone, okay? Let’s have one nice night for a change,” Howie pleaded.

AJ wrapped an arm around Nick’s shoulder. “We’re buds, he’s not offended are you Nicky?”

Nick picked up AJ’s arm by the wrist with two fingers and flung it off his shoulder. “Leave me the fuck alone, McLean.”

“I think we need to keep you two separated,” one of the bodyguards smirked.

Nick hiccuped again, this time it came in a series of squeaks.

“Oh for the love of god,” AJ hissed, slapping Nick in the back of the head. “That’s so damned annoying Carter.”

The three men walked to the waiting elevator and quietly got on. Silence was only broken with the sounds of Nick’s hiccups which seemed to be coming on quicker. Brian gave a glance over at Nick and could have sworn that his skin had a greenish tint to it. “Are you gonna get sick?”

AJ slid his shades down his nose and eyed Nick. “God, I hope not.”

15 by Carrie_Swenglish
Chapter 15

"Ok, I wanna go through a few details for next week's european tour," Jonny started as he looked around in the room. He opened his mouth to continue, "I want.." just to stop moments later as something dawned on him. "I thought I made it especially clear to you that I wanted ALL of you to be at this meeting at eight o'clock sharp? Didnīt I make myself clear enough?"

Surprised, the men looked at their manager who had an irrtated expression on his face. They nodded silently.

"Good." Before they had the chance to return back his question, he barked, "Then where the hell is Carter?"

"Heīs in the bathroom," Brian explained, nodding with his head towards the door, "wasnīt feeling too well." He silently hoped that Johnny wouldnīt freak out over the bad news. If there were one thing management didnīt like; it was when they skipped out of ANYTHING!

"Yeah he had to huuurl," AJ said in a strangled voice before he made a pretended puking sound. Then he laughed over his own joke. The rest of them did too. All but Johnny.

"Not well?" A deep frown came on the black man's forehead. "Well, see that he gets his ass over here..quick! I wont tolerate anymore fuck ups from that boy," he snarled.

"Jeeze, I just told you that he wasnīt well," Brian mumbled to himself, upset over the sudden outburst. Kevin gave him a glare that said, "Stop-it-or-you-will-be-in-for-trouble."

"If anyone of you have that idea that they get to skip out of a show just because they have eaten or partied too much, well," he paused before he shouted, "THEN YOU BETTER GET THAT OUT OF YOUR THICK SKULLS!" He stared out over the men, "UNDERSTOOD?"

Four pair of heads bobbed up and down in positive response. No one said anything since they were all too occupied thinking about the upcoming show, besides Johnny sounded much worse than he was. If it had been Lou Pearlman it had been another situation. When Lou was mad he was mad!

"Okay," Johnny said with a sigh, "Brian, you fill in the information to Nick when he gets back. We canīt wait for him." With that he started to tell them about the upcoming tour and the travel plans next week. It was going to be a long European tour that stretched over a couple of months and were they visited almost all countries. A bit into the information the door opened and in came their youngest member, pale as a sheet.

"Well..welll...see who the cat dragged in," Johhny said sarcastically as Nick made his way over to the sofa. He stopped as he as well as the boys took in the teen's appearance. Nick walked slightly hunched, a hand over his stomach and his otherwise so healthy red cheeks were tinted with a greenish tone. His recently combed hair hung loose and the eyes that often sparkled before a show lacked any form of enthusiasm. They were dull and lifeless.

"Come and sit here," Brian said with compassion, patting on the seat beside him. Obeyeing with no comments Nick sank down, with a moan.

"You okay?" Kevin asked, knowing what the answer would be in forehand.

The blonde shook his head, "I feel like shit," he muttered as he belched loudly. "Sorry," he covered his mouth.

"Ewwww," Howie scrunched up his nose, " Can you be anymore disgusting?" He fanned with his hand infront of him as the stale smell of McDonald's lingered through the room.

"Iīll bet he can," AJ grinned, "but then we would need gas masks." Laughter was heard in the room.

Nick, not answering, was pre-occupied in trying to unbutton his pants. He had to get some relief or he would burst. 'God, why did I have to eat all that crap?' he thought as he moaned as a cramp wracked his body again.

"Well ladies," Johnny said as he got tired of the blonde taking up all of the attention, "If youīre done yacking then maybe we can continue with the information." As on cue the sounds dropped off.

Brian still concerned over his friend's health leaned over and whispered, "Any luck?" He was referring to the bathroom visit.

"No," Nick shook his head as he folded over again. How he wished that he could get relief. It was like his body was betraying him and he couldnīt even puke. Instead he was stuck, feeling miserable.

**********

It was half way into the show it happend!

Not standing to wear anything against his stomach he had unbuttoned his top button on the black stage pants. It had felt a bit better and after a while he was feeling as good as new again. It was strange. No matter how sick he felt he always felt ready to preform when it came to doing a concert. He could be suffering from a high temp, yet when he came out on stage and met the fans and their love it was like all this had vanished. Nick had a rule; He always gave 100% at whatever he did!

Tonight was no exception and he was hopping and dancing and screaming like he was feeling all fine and dandy. Not a person out there could see that instead this boy was suffering from a severe stomach ache, ready to topple over. Nick was a preformer, in every ounce in his body.

As he ran over the stage, all hyper he could feel the button below the top one start to opening up just to give out a chain effect. As the button opened he could feel the pants starting to fall off and he who had to do a particular fast dance move. As he jumped down he felt the pants start to slip even further down his legs and now they were hanging loose. 'Oh NOOO,' Nick thought desperately as he mentally begged that his pants wouldnīt fall down. It would be way to embarrassing and he could never live through such humiliation.

Since he was holding the flimsy ear mike in one hand, he had to grab the lining of his pants with the other hand. AJ must have spotted what was happening as he grinned widely, hitting Brian in his side to get his attnetion too. As the two of them noticed Nick's predictment they desperatly tried to stifle their laughter.

He grabbed the pants hard and then tried his best to do the moves. It most have looked pretty funny as both Brian and AJ was now laughing between the lines. Kevin was not and he too had got a hold on the situation.

Nick, in no state to say or do anything, was sweating profusely. Yet he kept his pants up with one hand. There was NOT a chance that he let them go! There would not be any end to the comments!

His hand was cramping from holding the material so tight and when he thought that he had to change grip the song was finally over and they got a break. Not waiting for the tone to die out he ran off stage, just to fumble backstage.

Brian and Kevin followed him, tight in heel, concerned that he had gotten sick. Not daring to stop, he ran into the dressing room before he finally lost his grip and the pants fell down around his legs.

As he felt his face turn as red as a lobster, he wanted to sink through earth. The laughter was loud as all of the boys, coming after him, started to laugh uncontrolably.

"Waaaaayyyy toooo gooo Kaooos!" AJ bellly laughed as he wiped away his tears and he and Brian told the rest of the guys how close the teen had been to losing his pants infront of the fans.

Nick felt like a jerk!

16 by Carrie_Swenglish
Chapter 16

"Okay Kaos if you do that one more time you're off the bus," Kevin complained as he pinched his nose. The smell eminating in the bus was bad and each of the guys were starting to choke and gag.

"What the hell did you eat?" AJ muttered as he stood up, trying to get a window cracked open. "I have to get some air!"

"Canīt you go to the bathroom or something?" Howie said with disgust.

"Yeah and stay there like for the rest of the trip," AJ grinned.

With a pale expression on his face Nick moaned, "I canīt help it. My stomach hurts so bad." He was seated on the seat, legs pulled up towards his stomach and he was drawing in a sketch book. It was hard to concentrait since he was constantly wracked with spasms. "Besides if I donīt get this out I will end up even sicker." He groaned.

"So true, but would you kindly spread your fumes somewhere else," Kevin said as he fanned with his magazine infront of him, "you know we are on this small bus and that you have to take into consideration." īThere was no anger in his voice, more tiredness.

"Yup like go to the bathroom!" Howie tried to breath through his nose, closed mouth.

"You smell like a fuckin' sewer," AJ grimaced as he held up his T-shirt over his nose, "What do you have down your pipes Carter?"

"Awww come on, itīs just natural," Nick blushed, "besides Brian isnīt complaining."

"That is beacuse he has a COLD!" AJ whined. "God, I never thought I would wish for a stuffy nose. But I do now."

"Okay that's enough," Brian chuckled as he blew his nose. Turning to the miserable teen he whispered with concern, "You havenīt eaten too much again, have you?" He was referring to the McDonald's incident two days earlier.

"NO!" 'God, what did they think of him. Fact was that he hadnīt eaten anything for the whole day and still felt full like he had eaten a dinner course. Another groan escaped his lips. The pain was bad and he had a hard time concentrating on something beside the gurgle in his stomach. On top of everything a headache was pounding in his head.

"You feel sick?"

A short nod.

"You had that "bug" pretty bad for two days now, maybe you should go and see a doctor."

At the word doctor being mentioned Nick shook his head, "Nah Iīll be fine." There was no way that he was going to do that. Besides then the doctor would complain that he was overweight, that he was sure of, and that was NOT something that he wanted to hear.

"You have to be fit for the upcoming tour next week," Johnny stated. No doubt only caring about the money and not about the guys health.

"Yeah I know...ouch.." he groaned as another cramp wracked his body.

"FRACK!" Brian laughed, "that one was nasty, almost peeled off the paint from the wall." The rest of the guys laughed too, as they were pinching their noses.

"Hahhaaa, very funny," Nick grimaced, as he shifted position on the seat. Another spasm shot through him and he groaned, folding over in half. This time there were no sick comments.

"You okay?" Brian asked worried as he placed a hand on his friend's neck. With a frown he noticed that it was warm, "You have a fever?"

"I..do..donīt kn..knoooow," Nick groaned in response as his intestines were tying themselves into a knot.

"Kev," Brian continued, "I think there must be something seriously wrong with him. Iīve never seen Nick have such a bad stomach ache. Maybe we should take him to a hospital." There was genuine concern in his voice.

"Really?" Now the older man came up to see what could be wrong with their youngest member. As he felt the forehead he concluded, "Yup, youīre sick!" There were sighs. "B'rok is right, we should take you to the hospital."

"For a bad case of gas?" Johhny sneered, "That is out of the question. We have to get to New York by tomorrow morning to do a tv-show and we are already late on schedule. Besides Fatima is meeting you guys up there since she wanna practice the moves."

A unison groan was heard in the bus.

Ignoring this Johnny turned to Nick, "There is nothing wrong with you, son, is there?"

The only answer the teen gave was a moan as a bad spasm surged through the stomach. Then came the consequences.

"NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK!"

"Gross, Why did you have to do THAT?"

"Get some air!"

"Open the door!"

"Throw him off!"

All concern for Nick's health were forgotten as he was rudely pushed aside.

*************

"D'," Brian said as he walked over to his friend that was watching a video alone in the dark. Kevin was upfront talking to the driver and AJ was in his bunk, calling his girlfriend. Nick had gone to bed finally fallen asleep despite having a terrible stomach ache.

"Yeah?" The Latino looked up. "Youīre up this late?" He sounded surprised. Brian was usually a person that went to sleep pretty early.

"Aha..couldnīt sleep. Eh..Howie?"

"Mhm..hey come and sit down and watch this. This western is pretty good."

"Okay," Brian sat down heavily, "D'?" He asked after a while, moisturing his lips as he was about to spill something, but didnīt know where to begin.

"Yeah what is it?" He glanced over at Brian.

"Have you noticed anything strange about Nick lately?" There was nervousness in the Kentuckian's voice.

Howie jerked, "Eh..what do you mean?"

"Like..like if he is depressed or something?"

"Depressed Nick?..nooo," Howie shook his head.

"Okay," Brian was silent again. "Maybe it is just because he isnīt feeling well then." There was no way he knew how to approach Howie saying that he thought that Nick had some kind of eating disorder. Bingeing like he had done the other day couldnīt be normal. No wonder that his stomach was messed up.

"Aha..probably," Howie had his concerns too, but he wasnīt one to say anything before he was absolutely sure that something could be wrong.

"You think that this touring is taking too hard a toll on Nick?" Brian asked after awhile of silence.

"Maybe. I think it takes a toll on all of us. But Iīm pretty sure that he will make it. Nicky is strong." Pushing the pause button on the controller he turned his head, "Youīre worried about him?"

"I donīt know," Brian answered truthfully, "Sometimes I get such a bad feeling when it comes to him, you know. Like if he is walking on a very thin line and could fall over if he wouldnīt be careful. "There was genuine concern in the Kentuckian's voice.

Raising his eyebrows Howie looked at him. Brian rarely talked so open with him about things like this. Fact was that Brian was often very closed about his feelings and not as open as people got the impression that he was. He had a warm heart and Howie admired how well he could handle Nick in every stuation. Everybody thought that Kevin was the designated leader, but Howie had opinion about this. Brian, not making much noise was usually the one that spoke when there were something sensitive and hard that had to be done.

"Iīm sure that Nicky can handle it," Howie smiled, reassuring his younger friend. "By the way how are you holding up?"

"What do you mean?" Brian frowned.

"You know with the upcoming surgery and all." Brian was not talking very much about the procedure and Howie got a feeling that he was scared out of his witts and by not talking he wouldnīt have to encounter his fear.

"Iīm fine." The Kentuckian was very fast with his answer as he stretched his arms and yawned widely, "Íīm tired and I think I turn to bed now."

"Okay," Howie didnīt press any further. When Brian wanted to talk he would talk.

"'Night then D' and sleep tight."

"'Night," Howie pressed the play button as he watched his friend disappeared towards the bunks.

17 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 17

“Nick, would you hurry up? We’ve got to go!” Johnny yelled at the bathroom door.

Rolling his eyes at the closed door, Nick sighed. “Can’t I have a few minutes in here? I just sat down!”

“I don’t need to know the personal issues, we have a schedule to keep, can’t your bowels wait until after the show?”

Pulling his pants up, Nick grumbled. “I guess I don’t have a choice then, do I?”

“No you don’t. The rest of the guys are waiting on you again!

Glancing at his face in the mirror, Nick raked a hand through his touseled blonde hair. “Why even bother?” he mumbled at his reflection, then swung the door open, nearly knocking Johnny down.

“You look like shit Carter,” Johnny announced.

“That’s because you didn’t let me shit!” he snapped back.

“We can’t wait for two days dumbass, cause it would take that long with you, you’re always full of shit,” AJ pointed out, laughing.

Nick narrowed his eyes at the snickering group and stuck his middle finger out defiantly.

Kevin rushed up and smacked the back of Nick’s head.

“Ouch, what the hell did you do that for?” Nick scowled, rubbing the offended area.

“You needed it, straighten up, okay? Let’s have a pleasant day for a change,” Kevin begged.

“Why do you always blame me for having bad days?” Nick whined.

“Because it’s usually you that has something to complain about Kaos and it gets a little old,” AJ rasped.

“I-I-I---”

“I-I-I,” AJ interrupted Nick’s stuttering, mocking him. “I always fuck up!”

“FUCK YOU!”

A surprised stage hand stood in the open doorway to the greenroom. “Um, they’re ready for you.”

Leaving the greenroom, Johnny grabbed Nick by the arm, pulling him close to his side. “Why are you wearing that?”

“Because it’s mine? I dunno, why are you asking me that?” Nick asked defensively.

“I specifically told you what to wear and you chose to ignore me? I think we have to go over your contract again so you know what’s expected of you,” Johnny hissed.

Nick looked down at his maroon colored tee shirt. “What’s wrong with this?”

“It makes you look fat and sloppy, and that’s something else I need to talk with you about, I’ve heard about your bingeing the other day.”

Nick kept his eyes ahead, wondering how Johnny found out about the McDonald’s binge, but decided to act like he didn’t hear him. Stepping up his pace, Johnny kept alongside, glaring at him.

Relieved that they had reached the soundstage, Nick left Johnny’s side and thankfully walked to where the stagehand directed him to sit.

“No, Nick needs to sit between Kevin and Brian,” Johnny announced.

Not arguing, Nick dutifully took his place between Kevin and Brian. Kevin was going to be sitting the closest to Katie Couric, since he was the ‘unofficial spokesperson’ for the group, which suited all the guys fine. Nick started to squirm in his seat, a mixture of being nervous as well as his intestines telling him that he needed to be in the bathroom instead of live tv calling out to him. Kevin elbowed Nick swiftly in the side.

“Stop doing that,” he whispered in his ear and then quickly planted a phoney smile on his face when Katie walked across the stage, flanked by several members of the Today Show staff, fussing with her hair and makeup.

“And we’re on in five.....four.....three.....two....”

“We have Kevin, Nick, AJ, Howie and Brian from The Backstreet Boys this morning, how are you guys doing today?” Katie chirped.

“Fine..good.” Was the mixture of replies coming from the group.

“Tell me a little bit about what’s been going on for the group.”

“Well,” Kevin started out in his long, Kentucky drawl. “besides rehearsals for choreography for our upcoming European tour, it’s been meetings and working on songs.”

After a few minutes of talking to each member of the group, Katie finally directed her attention to Nick. “That’s good, Nick, what do you think about all of this excitement, since you’re the youngest member of the group. How old are you?”

“I’m eighteen, I-I j-just turned eighteen last week,” he proudly announced.

“Happy Birthday Nick,” Katie grinned. In the background, Howie, AJ and Brian were softly singing the Happy Birthday song.

“Have you done anything special to prepare yourself for the grueling schedule? It looks like they have you guys hopping all over the place in Europe, it’s amazing!”

“Well, I’ve tried b-brushing up on S-Spanish s-since they speak that in Spain,” Nick confidently offered, ignoring the look he got from Kevin after uttering his remark.

“You’ve already been overseas haven’t you?”

“Yep,” Nick replied, trying to push away the overwhelming feelings of nervousness.

“Anything interesting happen?” Katie pressed.

“Not really but d-did you know that the water in the toilet goes backwards?”

Brian and Kevin groaned and Kevin smiled apologetically to Katie who was having a hard time keeping her laughter in check, wiping tears away from her eyes.

“The boys will be singing a song for us after we return from a break,” Katie giggled, shaking her head.

When the light on the camera went off, Katie jumped up from her seat to attend to matters away from where the boys were sitting. Kevin quickly swatted Nick on the back of the head.

“Ouch, what the hell did you do that for?” Nick yelped, tears stinging his eyes.

“The water goes backwards in the toilet? They speak Spanish in Spain?” Kevin grumbled.

“Well they do and it does happen,” Nick defended his remarks.

“Keep your mouth shut, you sound like an idiot, besides, you’re studdering again, that makes you sound stupid!” It was Johnny that rushed up towards the group, giving them a quick coaching.

“Leave Nicky alone,” Brian glared at the older man.

“Mind your own business! Worry about yourself, okay?” Johnny replied.

“I want all of you over on those stools, please hurry, we’ll be back in three minutes,” a stagehand stated as he pointed with a clipboard to the set of five barstools with microphones in front of each seat.

Sliding onto the chairs, Nick jumped a little too hard and caused his stool to tumble over, landing him flat on his back.

“Way to go Ace,” AJ cackled, holding a hand out to a wide eyed Nick.

“And we’re ready in five.....four....three....”

“Are you okay over there Nick?” Katie asked as the camera clicked back on it’s live feed.

Red faced, Nick could only manage to offer a “thumbs up” from where he stood as a stage hand adjusted the mike and the stool back into position, AJ and Brian howling with laughter.

“Alright, hopefully, without anymore problems from Nick, here’s The Backstreet Boys,” Katie grinned.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Nick isn’t up from his nap yet?” Brian asked as sat down at the small table in the hotel room.

Munching on a piece of toast, Kevin folded the newspaper in half glancing at his cousin briefly. “He’s up, Johnny has him cornered in the other room talking to him.”

Brian pulled the sports section of the paper from under the pile in front of Kevin. “Oh. What is he talking to Nick about now?”

Kevin only offered a shrug of his shoulders in reply.

“Oh, come on Kev, you have to know what’s going on!” Brian groaned.

“Don’t know... don’t care to know,” Kevin replied, flipping the paper over.

Brian eyed the wall towards the other room warily. “You know I’ll get zero info from the boy when he gets done.”

“Well, if it’s any of our business, we’ll be told,” Kevin replied.

“I suppose.” Brian sat for a moment, staring at the paper, thinking. “Hey, what time do we have to be at the venue for rehearsal?”

Kevin glanced at his watch. “A little less than two hours from now but Johnny said something about wardrobe fittings here.”

“Wardrobe? Why now?” Brian sighed.

“It’s something for the European tour.”

“Wonder what stupid thing they’ll insist on us wear----”

Brian’s comments were cut short when muffled yelling could be heard coming from the other room. Brian’s eyes met Kevin’s as they listened to the yelling. When the yelling stopped, the door to the room flung open, hitting the wall and Nick rushed in, face flushed with anger.

“How’d the meeting go with Johnny?” Brian casually asked.

Nick took his arm and swiped it across the desktop, clearing all the items that were laying ontop, sending it crashing to the floor.

“Okay, I’m taking that as a ‘not-so-good?’ ”

As Johnny entered the room through the wide open door, Nick sailed past him into the bathroom, slamming the door closed.

“Johnny, what the heck did you and Nick talk about?” Brian questioned when the bathroom door banged closed. “He seems to be really upset about something.”

“It has nothing to do concerning you, here, this is yours,” Johnny stated, handing Brian a clothes hanger with a blue colored costume draped over it. “And this one is yours Kevin.”

“This is for Europe?” Kevin asked as he looked at the gaudy blue colored costume.

“Yes, and these have been custom tailored to fit your bodies according to contract specs so I will assume that there won’t be any problems with the wardrobe,” Johnny commented as he walked towards the closed bathroom door.

Johnny softly knocked on the door. “Nickolas, I’ve got your costume for you to try on.”

“I’m fine, just leave it on the bed,” Nick grumbled from the other side of the door.

“No, I need you to try this on now.”

“I don’t want to now, I told you to leave it on the bed!” Nick shouted through the door.

“Nick?” Johnny persisted.

“Leave the boy alone for now Johnny, you’ve got him upset over whatever the hell you two were discussing earlier. Just let it go for now, I’ll make sure he tries on that hideous outfit you seem to be so damned insistant on,” Kevin spat.

“I’ve never seen this shade of blue before,” Brian mused as he held the costume up by it’s shoulders.

“It’s my mother’s favorite color,” Johnny defended as he gently laid Nick’s wardrobe out ontop of the bedspread.

“And it’s a nice shade too,” Brian quickly added, rolling his eyes behind closed lids.

“I guess we’ll be meeting you in the lobby by three then, okay?” Johnny questioned as he strode towards the door.

“Yep, three,” Kevin replied.

With that stated, Johnny left the room, softly closing the door behind him.

“Who the heck picks these colors?” Brian asked, tossing the outfit over a chair.

Kevin shrugged his shoulders. “Color blind monks?”

The bathroom door banged open with Nick storming out and over towards his suitcase.

“Hey, Nick...”

“Leave me alone, I don’t want to talk about it,” Nick snapped, interrupting Kevin.

“I wasn’t gonna ask you about the talk you had with Johnny, I was gonna ask--”

“I said leave me alone!” Nick cried out.

Brian looked at Kevin, his eyebrow arched in question and then back over towards their younger brother, watching him as he started throwing clothes out of his bag.

“I HATE THIS! I HATE THAT SONOFABITCH! HE CAN GO TO HELL!”

Kevin winced at the screaming coming from Nick. “Um, yeah, okay.”

“Nick did you want a soda?” Brian offered, sticking his head in the mini bar fridge.

“No I do not want a soda, I do not need a soda. I do not need anything.”

“Nick, what the hell’s going on?” Brian sighed in an exasperated tone.

“Nothing, I don’t want to talk about it, okay? Everyone just leave me alone.”

Grabbing a change of clothes off the floor, Nick trudged back into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him. He knew that Kevin and Brian would be talking about him, but he didn’t care. According to Johnny he was a fuck up and did nothing but hurt the band’s image. Johnny told him he was starting to become a fat, worthless slob and if he didn’t shape up he was out of the group. Johnny told him that he had to be perfect. Nick thought he was doing a good job, he was being himself, but now he was told that he was anything less than perfect.

Feeling hatred and low self esteem in his body, Nick turned the shower on as hot as he dared, deep inside hoping it would burn him but he knew it wasn’t hot enough to do that, and let the water pour over him as he stood in the stall and cried.

18 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 18

“You’ll never know how happy I am to be sitting here with you right now,” Nick gushed.

Manda giggled in reply. “Nicky, all you ever have to do is call me, and arrange for the flight ticket and I’ll be there. No matter where you are, just remember you can send me a ticket and I’d be more than happy to come. Were the guys pissed?”

“Whaddya think?”

“That would be a yes, I guess. Screw ‘em, they’re just jealous of you,” Manda assured.

“I suppose.”

“You don’t sound very convincing there.”

As he picked up the restaurant menu, Nick shrugged his shoulders.

“What’s bugging you?”

Not bothering to pull the menu away from his face, Nick mumbled “nothing.”

Manda rolled her eyes and reached across the table and pulled the menu down. “Spill it Mr. Carter.”

Nick could feel the color rising into his cheeks. “It’s really nothing I want to talk about.”

“I see you blushing, you realize I’m not giving up until you tell me!”

As if the menu was a protective shield, Nick put the menu back up to read. “Management is on my back again.”

“Oh sweetie, what about now?” Manda’s asked dully.

“The usual stuff they pick on about me.”

Manda stared at the back of the laminated menu in front of Nick’s face, waiting for him to continue on about his delimma with management. After a few moments, she again pulled the menu down and peered over the top. ”Well?”

Nick sighed, feeling his face turning red again. “It’s the same ole shit about my weight.”

“Aww, Nicky--”

Nick cut Manda off. “It’s okay, I have to do what they ask me.” Before she could reply, he tossed the menu onto the table and eased his body from the booth. “Order me a chef salad, ranch dressing on the side, I’ll be back right back.”

Manda’s expression darkened as she watched Nick walk away from their booth towards the restroom. She knew in her heart that management was right about Nick’s weight, but she disagreed with them constantly badgering him about it. She liked him a little heavier and deep down she felt that Nick was happier when he could eat and wasn’t denied his pleasure.

“Are you ready to order?” the waitress chirped as she stood next to the booth.

“Yes,” Manda grinned as she picked up the menu. She gestured to where Nick had been sitting. “He’ll have a double cheeseburger, extra cheese, fries, deep fried mushrooms and a double chocolate milkshake. I’ll have a BLT and an iced tea with lemon.”

The waitressed picked up the menus and nearly walked into Nick when she turned around to leave.

Sitting at the table, making idle conversation, the waitress soon returned with the order. Manda smiled mischievously as she watched Nick’s reaction to the order placed in front of him.

“Enjoy your food,” she smiled as she laid the bill face down on the table.

A scowl crossed Nick’s face as he leaned forward. “I ordered a salad.”

“I know and you can’t let those guys get to you.”

Nick looked dismayed. “I can’t eat this.”

“Yes you can and you will for me,” Manda replied, batting her best puppy dog eyes at him. “You will if you love me and you’ll eat everything on your plate.”

Eyeing the platter in front of him Nick sighed. “Okay, but just this once, and then I’m sticking to that diet.”

“We’ll see.”

~*~*~*~*~

Manda placed a comforting hand on Nick’s back as they exited the car. “What’s wrong Nicky?”

Sweat was forming on the young man’s forehead as he walked stooped over. “I don’t feel good,” Nick moaned.

“Awww, pooh bear,” Manda soothed, moving her hand in small circles on Nick’s back.

Nick suddenly burped loudly.

“Okay, that was gross,” Manda shrieked.

“I’m sorry, I can’t help it, besides you made me eat all of that.” He stopped for a moment and placed a protective hand on his stomach. “Arrrgh!”

“Well since you aren’t going to be much fun tonight, I’m just going to get into my car and head back to my apartment. You go on and be with your mommy, maybe she can take care of you,” Manda whined.

As Nick turned to kiss her goodbye, another burp escaped his lips followed by a moan and a quick apology.

“I’ll take a raincheck on a goodbye kiss, you’re repulsive tonight,” Manda snapped. “God, just think if Tiger Beat got ahold of Nick Carter in his worst form. Bet those teenies would be impressed.”

Normally Nick would be offended by Manda’s comments but his stomach hurt so much accompanied with the heartburn, made his only focus his bed and laying down.

Nick’s quest for relief was short lived when he was met at the door by his brother, a grin on his face and a PS2 game clutched in his hands.

“Hey bro, you ready for me to kick your butt?”

“Um... yeah, lemme go to the can first,” Nick mumbled.

Aaron cocked his head to one side. “The can? Oh that’s classic Nick.”

As Nick walked down the hall, he burped loudly, the sound echoing in the long hall.

”Who did that?” Jane Carter called out from the kitchen.

“Wasn’t me,” Aaron piped up.

”Nickolas Gene Carter!”

Jane entered the living room, a platter of freshly baked brownies in her hand. “I swear he’s lost his manners traveling with a bunch of guys on the road.”

Aaron quickly snatched a brownie off the plate as his mother set it down. “That will never happen to me!”

“What won’t happen to you?” Nick asked as he entered the living room.

“Losing my manners, burping and farting--”

”Aaron!” Jane warned.

“Well, it’s true, that’s all Nick does when he’s around me. He farts--”

“Aaron, that’s enough!”

“Well it’s true... I guess,” Aaron stopped his comments when he caught his mother’s stern face.

“I’ll bring out some milk for you two, eat up the brownies,” Jane called out as she left the room.

Nick felt a little better after making himself throw up in the bathroom. At first, it was something that he tried with little success but now sometimes it worked for him, but he only threw up when he became too umcomfortablly full, which was the case after that huge meal Manda insisted he eat.

“Aren’t you gonna eat some brownies? Ma’s been stressing out all day about your brownies,” Aaron commented as he picked another brownie from the plate.

Nick shrugged his shoulders. The brownies did look good and they were his favorite. “I just ate, maybe later.”

“Mom’s gonna be pissed.”

“She’ll get over it.”

“Are you ready for me to whip your butt?” Aaron asked as he set up the controllers and opened up a Nascar game.

“I’m gonna have fun kicking your ass,” Nick grinned.

Aaron’s eyes grew wide in mock horror. “I’m tellin’ mom you swore!”

Nick lept off the couch and pinned his brother on the floor, taking pleasure in his little play screams. “You wouldn’t dare tell on me!”

Aaron’s screams became muffled in the carpet.

“You won’t tell,” Nick persisted as he started to sit on his younger brother.

“You kids better take it easy,” Jane called out from the kitchen when she heard the commotion from the other room.

“We’re okay,” Nick replied. “Aren’t we AC?”

“Ugh,” Aaron gasped. “I’m tellin’ ma.”

“If you live long enough!” Nick countered, placing his butt ontop of Aaron’s leg, farting on it.

“OH GAWD.....MOM!!!”

19 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 19

Through his haze he heard the phone ringing. Fumbling to shut it off he reached out with his hand, still not opening his eyes. All he managed was to do was swipe off a glass of water and his clock off the bedstand.

"Shit," Nick mumbled as he scanned the mess that he had created on the floor. 'The maid is going to be so happy, not to mention Kevin,' he thought darkly. Opening his eyes a bit more he noticed that he wasnīt in any hotel and that he was in his own room in outside Tampa, Florida.

Rubbing a hand over his eyes, he tried to get his mind to work, when he was rudely interrupted by his sister BJ calling, "Nick phone!" Ignoring that he sank down further in bed. Much too tired to deal with anyone.

"Nick did you hear me?" BJ called out again and Nick put the pillow over his head, trying to block out the sounds. When that didnīt work and she was still calling his name, just to spite him since she knew how much he hated when people talked in the morning, he barked, "SHUT UP!"

His sister didnīt pay much attention to her brothers outrage and she set her footsteps towards his room. He groaned loudly. Who in their right mind had the nerve to call him in the early morning? On his day off, which was so rare. Tomorrow they were going to go on a hectic European tour for two months so at least they could have the sense not to disturb him.

When he made no move to go downstairs the door banged open revealing his sister , "Are you deaf or something? I said that you had a phone call." She handed him the hated device.

He asked grumpily, "Who is it?"

"AJ," she said shortly, "It sounded urgent."

Nick groaned. It was always urgent with Bone. Still it had him a bit surprised, he wasnīt much of a morning person so it had to be something special.

"Okay," he muttered as he snapped into the phone, "What?"

He waved with his hand to BJ to leave the room, getting a glare back and when she didnīt make any move he picked up his pillow and tossed at her, hitting the head. "Move," he mouthed and she stuck out her tounge. God how he wished that he could have been left alone.

"Jeeze, you didnīt have to bite off my head," AJ said sounding a bit hurt.

Realizing that he had crossed a line he muttered, "Sorry."

"S'okey, so did I wake you up Kaos?" AJ laughed, no doubt mission accomplished.

"What do you think?" he snapped back.

"Ouch..touchy, touchy, I think that someone woke up on the wrong side today."

Ignoring the last comment Nick said sourly, "What do YOU want?"

"Johnny and Lou called and said that they wanted to meet us in Orlando. It was urgent."

"Not a chance, Iīm gonna spend my time with my family," Nick said with a yawn. In fact he had planned to spend his time in bed, playing Nintendo and eating chips and popcorn. Screw the management, beside Manda had said that he looked perfect and that he didnīt need to loose any weight. She was a real hottie so she had to be right.

ī "Nick didnīt you hear they said that we had to be ther by noon."

"Noon!! Are you wack?" Nick screamed, there was no way that he would go and sit in a car and drive that hour long trip to Orlando. On a day off! No way, he rather he was kicked out of the group.

"Yup, tweleve a clock. And for the record, you ainīt the only one that is pissed over this decision. I was laying here in bed with a pretty blonde by my side and.."

"Blonde?" Nick interrupted his friend, "Isnīt Amanda dark haired?" He was certain that AJ was fooling around again. And now he was busted.

"She colored it," he said quickly. "Anyway then.."

But Nick wasnīt aout to drop the subject. "Does Amanda knows that you're cheating on her?"

"None of your business," Aj sneered, clearly wanting to change the subject. " Anyway you have to get your ass down there. B'rok and Train is coming too."

"All the way from Lexington?" Now Nick was surprised. "Wow it has to be really urgent."

"Yup, so you better get your fat ass over here or your ass is grass."

Thinking for a while Nick said, " You guys have to do without me today. I donīt feel too good."

The last comment had his friend upset, "Listen dipshit, you donīt fuck up by not coming. You will destroy this band if you continue this "Itīs so sorry for me" attitude."

"Well I still ainīt going." Nick felt stubborn. Management had been on his case all the time and for once he felt that he couldnīt bare to deal with them chewing him out again.

"Yes you are. Johnny made clear that the only thing acceptable was our own deaths!"

" But Bone," Nick felt whiny, "It is our day off and I need the rest, besides I havenīt been feeling too well lately."

A sigh was heard on the other line, " Yeah I know, but if you stay home donīt expect any help from me.

"Awww man," Nick caught a glare at the clock that was laying on the floor, "Then I have to leave like soon, fuck," he mumbled more to himself than anyone, "that sucks."

"I hope your mother didnīt hear you say that," AJ teased him with a laughter. "So are you coming or not."

Torn between his own will to stay put and the management he sighed deeply as he rubbed his face with his hand. He was so tired and turning back to bed looked more than tempting. Surrendering under the pressure he murmured, "Okay, tell Lou that Iīm on my way then."

"Great man," AJ sounded relieved, "then Iīll see you in a few."

"Mhm.." Nick closed his eyes as he was almost already back into the land of sleep.

It was like AJ sensed that Nick was heading back to sleep again since he called out, "Hey Kaos."

"Wha..what?" Nick jerked. He had momentarily fallen asleep.

"Donīt you dare to go back to sleep, or your ass is toast. Comprendre?"

" Yeah, yeah, sure," Nick mumbled already half way into Lala land, and as soon as they hung up he laid down on the bed again. " I just need an eye shut," he mumbled as he pulled the blanket over him. It didnīt take long before he was sleeping safe and sound.

***************************

He must have slept for quite awhile since the sun was high on the sky when he woke up. Sitting up in bed Nick glanced at the clock. It read 1:15 pm so this meant that he was more than an hour late to the meeting. Surprised that no one had called him he decided to go downstairs, his stomach was growling from hunger.

It was quiet in the house, which was much of a surprise since silence was not something that was often heard of in the Carter household. His siblings were often involved in loud fights between each other, and they often had friends over. It was not an unlikely situation that Jane had at least 3 extra kids everyday.

Enjoying the silence Nick walked straight to the refridgerator since his stomach was rumbling with hunger by now. The stomach ache that he had suffered on and off the past week had mysteriously disappeared and he blamed it on having nerves. He also got some well needed privacy. Opening the refridgerator door he scanned the shelves for something edible. To his delight he noticed that it was well stocked and he picked out some dishes and a tub of butter. Carrying it, together with a white bread roll he walked into the livingroom and sank down in the family couch.

After making 3 sandwiches full with all sorts of things he sank comortably back in the couch, feet flopped up on the armchair beside him and turned on the tv. There was nothing to watch and Nick hated soap operas and Ricky Lake. The only time he watched crap like this was when he was sick and then he was usually too ill to care what he was watching. He could never figure out how anyone could be stupid enough to volunteer telling the whole world about their sexlife and so on. Eyeing it wearily he dug into his breakfast.

Grinning, he thought that his managers would freak if they saw what he was stuffing into his mouth. They wanted to put him on lettuce diet but to that he just gave the finger. No one had ever complained about his weight before and to him he looked like he had always done. He couldnīt understand how teenage girls went totally out of it when he showed his face to them. It was sick. He shook his head at the memory over how attacked they had been the last time they went to Europe. Girls clinging on them, taking photos and filming every step they took.

Management had decided that they needed bodyguards on this trip since the fans in Europe were totally wild. Nick's bodyguard was named Frank and he would meet them in Frankfurt when they flew in tomorrow.

These three days off from "work" had done him good and his new girlfriend Manda had been at the beach most of the time. He really wished that she could come with him touring since the other guys often had their girlfriends with them. But management had been specific about this one. NO girls were allowed to come with them on this European tour. It could hurt the business if the fans found out that they were all taken, all except Howie who was still dating around, looking for the right girl as he put it.

The management wanted to keep Manda as a secret as long as they possible could. The fans could start loosing interest in the group if they found out that their young and blonde heartrob was already taken. Nick was promoted as the innocent and young boy and if it came out that he had been drunk as well as was not a virgin anymore they would completly freak. Nick thought it was upsetting. After all he was an eighteen year old teenage guy with raging hormones and therefore he was just acting like his age. But management wanted him still to be the fifteen year old guy that the fans had fallen for once. When he had objected to this, saying that he thought that he would have to betray the fans the management had gotten pissed and told him that he better not reveal Manda to ANYONE!

With a sigh Nick flipped through the channels on the remote as he took another bite of the bread. For the first time he felt totally relaxed. No one was bugging him, making him say or do something. He didnīt have to deal with sharing time with four other dudes. Management wasnīt in his hair and he had no obligations. That is if you didnīt count that he had actually skipped an "important" meeting.

The last thought made his stomach ache. He would have to deal with the management later. Hopefully it wouldnīt have to be so big since Johnny was generally a pretty nice guy that knew that Nick needed some space and privacy. But something had been bugging the dark man lately and he was more tense than ever. Kevin said that it was because another group Nīsync was also trying to win over the European fans.

Nick had met the guys a couple of times and even if the press said that they were rivals he still thought that they were pretty nice. Especially Chris who had gone to the same highschool as sweet D'.

Lou Perlman was another story. He was being a total jackass in Nick's opinion. Acting like he was being really nice one second, just like a would snake strike with his venom when you least expected it. He had told everybody that he was the boys father and that he had created them and loved them like his own sons. Nothing could be more bullshit than that. It was all business to Mr. Pearlman and Nick doubted that he had any feelings at all for them.

Shuddering, he remembered when he had been sick as a dog on stage and Lou had still made him perform. His gut had been on total fire since he had eaten something that had gone bad. In between dress changes he had used the toilet in more than one way and he had been too weak to even stand. Yet he was forced to go on. Finally Nick couldnīt take it any longer and when he barely made it backstage for another round he had pulled out of the show. Kevin and Brian had been so upset, threatning to call their parents and tell them how bad they were treated. Lou just shrugged, telling them that it was like this in show business and if they couldnīt cope with it they could go.

Suddenly a sharp signal broke his thoughts. Staring at the phone he hesitated. Should he answer, or let it be? He had no strength to deal with an upset Lou or Johnny, yet it could be someone else like his parents wanting him something.

Slowly he picked up the phone, "Yeah," he murmured. He had barely finshed the last letter when an angry voice interupted him, yelling in his ear.

"CAAARTTTEEEER!" It was Johnny that had worked up quite a temper and Nick draw his breath as he heard, "Shouldnīt you be at this meeting?"

"Eh..uh.." Nick mumbled.

"Then where the hell are you???" the dark man shouted so Nick had to hold the receiver far away from his ears or he would have gone deaf.

"Um..Iīm not feeling well," Nick lied.

Johnny didnīt buy it so he said, "Cut the crap Nick. You told AJ that you were going to come to this meeting, didnīt you?" The tone of his managers voice was soft until he suddenly drew his breath in, "SO GET YOUR FUCKING ASS UP HERE NOW!"

Nick knew that it often sounded worse than it really was when Johnny barked, still he felt like a three year old. Tears started to burn in his eyes, both from anger but also from feeling small and useless.

"Iīm sorry," he mumbled, "But..but I started to feel sick and.." He was once again rudely interupted. His hopes that Johnny's temper would lessen when he heard that the teen wasnīt at his best was soon crashed.

"Sick," his manager muttered, "youīre always sick." Then there were a brief pause.

Holding his breath Nick hoped that this was it and that his manager wasnīt going to chew him out anymore. But when had Nick Carter ever been right? Before he had a chance to say anything another man burst into the phone. Lou!

"Nick didnīt I make myself clear that you had obligations to tend to?" Lou said with that voice that only Lou could muster. The voice that sent chills down Nick's spine. Made him feel smaller than a little kid.

"Eh..I..I," Nick started to stutter. He always did when he felt unsecure, and he hated it. Why couldnīt he be cool like AJ? Who always seemed to know what to say. No insted he mumbled something uncoherent making the person even more upset with him.

"Nick you heard what I said right?" Lou was not letting the subject drop.

"Ye..yes."

"Good, then why arenīt you here now? Do you get off or something by disobeying orders?" The voice was calm, yet hard.

"I..I..N..No.," Nick hesitated. What direction was Lou going in?

"Then start acting your age and do what you are told to do. Iīm tired of that you can think that you are taking the short cut all the time. If you think that being in this business is a holiday then you better rethink your decisions." Lou spoke with authority and Nick felt himself shrinking. He didnīt have time to answer before Lou continued, "Nick I am just saying this to you once; You better shape up that attitude of yours or you can say goodbye to the boys."

This wasnīt fair! Nick felt close to tears.He wanted to object yet he knew that it never paid off mouthing off to Mr. Lou Pearlman. Therefore he kept his mouth shut, wanting to scream inside.

When Nick didnīt respond he said, "Are you listening to what I am saying?"

"Ye..yes," Nick stuttered, "But I was sick," he tried to defend himself.

Lou, however, didnīt listen at all, instead he said, "The van will be at your house tomorrow at six am. Sharp! And Nick.." There was a warning in the managers voice, "If you dont show up exactly on time you don't have to bother to show up anything more either. Understood?"

"Yes."

"And Nick, just for the record, remember what we talked about earlier, that you still need to be on that diet. Canīt let the girls think you are fat can we?" Lou chuckled.

"No..Nooo,"Nick wanted to slap his head. How could he be so stupid that he never said or did anything in a pressed sitiation? Instead he clamped shut or stuttered like some damn idiot.

"Good then we understand each other. Then Iīll see you tomorrow. Bye Nick." With that Lou hung up as fast as he had come on. Totally empty inside Nick stared at the phone in his hand. Lou had said that if he didnīt shape up his act he would be kicked out of the band. The mere threat of something like this made his stomach churn. They were trying to control his life.

What would he be without the boys? Without the fans? Just a nobody! A total loser.

Suddenly he felt anger flare up inside him. What business did they have in controlling his life? Management had been on his case for a very long time now and he was sick and tired of kissing up to them. Standing up, he wiped his tears off with the back of his hand. The more he thought about how badly treated he was, the more angry he became.

Rushing into the kitchen he opened up the cupboard and started to pull out all sorts of goodies. His mother had always a stock of twinkies and he pulled them out on the kitchen table. Tearing up the plastic with his teeth he opened one twinkie package after another and then stuffed his mouth full.

He would show them who was in control now!

20 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 20

Slinging the green backpack over his shoulder, Nick trudged down the hall of the airport terminal towards the guys, ball cap cocked to one side, bangs halfway into his blue eyes.

“Well, well well,” AJ clucked as he looked at his watch, “look who made it ontime this morning.”

“Don’t start, okay,” Nick mumbled. He felt bad enough about oversleeping yesterday and missing the meeting, he didn’t need it to be brought up again. Unfortunately, it wasn’t going to be dropped.

“What did Lou say to you yesterday?” Kevin pressed.

“None of your goddamn business!” Nick snapped, slumping into the first available seat trying to avoid the stares of the guys.

“Just leave Nick alone, okay?” Howie intervened. “I’m sure he’ll talk when he’s ready to.

Nick rolled his eyes. ‘Oh thank you Howie for acting so innocent.’ He shifted in his chair, trying to get comfortable as well as trying to catch a catnap. He didn’t sleep very well last night and 4:30 a.m. alarm came too soon for him. The sudden smell of cologne clued Nick that AJ had taken the seat next to him.

“So what did fatass Lou say to you yesterday?”

Nick turned his back away from AJ, pretending he didn’t hear him.

“N-i-i-i-i-c-c-c-k-k-k-e-e-e”

Nick groaned and turned to face AJ. “Bone, can’t you just leave me the hell alone? I’m tired and I don’t feel good.”

“Oh gawd, here we go with the Nick doesn’t feel good comment again. Ya know Carter, it’s getting really old, seriously!”

“I don’t feel good, why does everyone pick on me?” Nick whined.

“Because it’s the same old crap all the time, ‘I don’t feel good,’ god, it’s getting a little old,” AJ spat.

”AJ, leave Nick alone, alright?”

Nick sighed when he heard Brian reprimanding AJ. “Thanks Brian.”

AJ remained silent for a few moments until the others became engrossed in their own conversations. “So why don’t you feel good? What’s wrong?”

Nick sighed. “You know how I am about airplanes and just knowing we’re going to be stuck in the air for hours doesn’t set well with me and I woke up kinda late and I forgot to take my meds for airsickness.”

A smile spread across AJ’s face. “I’ve got something that will cure your motion sickness.”

Nick eyed AJ suspiciously. “You do?”

“Yep,” he replied, patting the front of his shirt pocket. “Dr. McLean’s medicinal drink.” A sly grin crept onto his face as he revealed a small bottle of whiskey.

“Where did you get that?”

“Hey, don’t get us busted here, keep your voice down,” AJ reprimanded in a sharp whisper. “It’s airplane booze.”

Turning in his seat to face AJ, Nick narrowed his eyes at his older band brother. “Yeah, so, how did you get it?

Slapping a hand on Nick’s thigh, AJ chuckled. “My boy, you need to learn the laws of the air.”

“Come again?”

“Up in the air there’s no drinking age law, comprende? So it’s yours for the asking, well, of course paying too, but hell, I just ask for whiskey and waters and the management thinks I’m drinking ginger ale. I’ve got it all figured out.”

“But what about your breath, don’t they smell it on you?”

“They know better than to get that close to me, jeeze Nick, you really are slow.”

Nick folded his arms across his chest defensively. “Am not.”

“So, do you want a bottle or not?”

Licking his lips as he thought about the whiskey, he mentally debated if it was such a good idea. He was already in hot water with Johnny and Lou, but knowing those two, they would expect them to be performers at every place the plane landed until they reached Frankfort. “I don’t want to take your stash AJ.”

“I have more than one bottle, dumbass,” AJ replied in a low voice.

“Okay.”

Instead of handing the bottle over to Nick, AJ suddenly stood up, stretching his arms. “Um, me and Kaos are going to the bathroom--”

“We are?” Nick piped up, his face a mask of confusion but quickly recovered when AJ lowered his sunglasses and tossed a glare in Nick’s direction. “Oh, yeah, me and Bone gotta use the john.”

“Going to the restroom in a group now?” Kevin remarked as he watched the two head off.

Brian grinned as he watched AJ grab Nick’s arm and pull him close. “It’s kinda odd, but cool in a way too though.”

Kevin didn’t take his eyes away from the two young men. “Cool? In what way would you think that?”

“Well, I guess it’s just that Nick and AJ are usually at each other’s throats fighting. Maybe this will be the trip that the two of them finally get along.”

“One could only hope,” Howie smiled and nodded in agreement.

Once in the bathroom, AJ pulled Nick quickly into a stall.

“God, people are gonna think we’re gay or something Bone, what the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

“Do you want this or not!?” AJ hissed.

“Yeah.”

“Well if you think you’re man enough to handle this, take it,” AJ challenged.

Nick eagerly took the bottle and unscrewed the black lid, breaking the seal. He slowly put the bottle to his lips and took a small sip of the honey colored liquor. Witnessing this, AJ rolled his eyes.

“Oh my god, I thought you said you were a man,” he breathed. “Watch me.”

AJ uncapped his own bottle of whiskey and placed it to his lips, tossing the bottle back and drinking the contents down in three swallows. “That’s how you do it. Now try doing it right this time or we’ll be in here all damn day.”

An elderly man was standing at the sink washing his hands, listening to their conversation from the closed bathroom stall. He was thinking the thoughts that Nick was afraid people would think and shook his head. “Sick and wrong,” he whispered to himself as he shaked the excess water from his hands.

Being challenged, Nick poured the contents down his throat and gulped the liquid quickly. As soon as he finished, his eyes watered and he started coughing. AJ slapped him on the back. “Easy does it boy.”

After a few moments of coughing and gasping for air, Nick managed to ask, “Okay when will this make me feel better?”

“Drink two more of these and you will be relaxed by the time we take off, guaranteed.”

Following AJ’s advice, Nick quickly downed the drinks, sputtering and coughing between both. “I’m starting to feel a little relaxed already.”

AJ grinned. “See, told ya so, let’s go before someone catches us in here, stick with me and I’ll take care of you during the flight.”

“What’s taking those two so long? They’re ready to board the plane!” Johnny grumbled as he glared around the room, looking for Nick and AJ.

“There they are,” Brian pointed, relief washing over him when he saw the two walking towards the waiting area. He knew by the tone of Johnny’s voice that he would be seeking explanations and punishments if they missed their flight. He grabbed Nick’s backpack and held it out. “Here, let’s get moving, Johnny’s on a warpath this morning.

“Already?” AJ rasped. “That dude needs to stop worrying so damn much, he’s gonna give himself an ulcer.”

Brian grinned, “If he doesn’t have one by now.” He followed Nick and AJ towards the tunnel leading to the plane when a puzzled look crossed his face. “AJ?”

“Yessum?”

Brian reached out and grabbed the younger man by the arm, pulling him back. “Do I smell alcohol on your breath?” he asked quietly.

Cocking a smile, AJ shrugged his shoulders. “And what if you do?”

“You know what they’ve told us before---”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, I’ve heard it all. Don’t worry it’s just a little preflight drink to settle my nerves, no big deal,” AJ defended.

“I’m just tellin---”

“God Brian, seriously, who made you lord and master of us?” AJ spat. “Oh, and you might as well plan on being with Kev or D cause me and Kaos are riding together this flight.”

Brian’s first thought was to feel hurt about Nick not wanting to travel with him, they always sat together on trips but he immediately dismissed his feelings when he realized that the two were finally getting along for once. “Okay.”

*~*~*~*~*

“Nick, calm it down a notch, okay?” AJ hissed into his friend’s ear. AJ was starting to regret introducing Nick to the onflight bottles of whiskey and Seven-up. One of the first comments Nick had made to him after tasting the drink was that it was the best thing he had ever drank next to cherry flavored Kool-aid.

“Why? I’m cool,” Nick slurred, splashing his drink on his shirt.

AJ reached out to quickly steady the drink as Nick set it down - half on the tray, half off. His gold chain bracelet clanked noisily on the glass.

”Hey there’s that pretty babe with the big boobies,” Nick grinned as the flight attendant passed by. ”Can I have your number? I’ll give you mine if you give me yours!”

AJ gestured towards Nick with a nod of his head. “Can he have a bag of potato chips or something?”

“I’m not supposed to eat,” Nick whispered loudly into AJ’s ear.

AJ patted Nick on the arm. “I know, but it’s okay this time,” he reassured.

”I have to pee, let me up asshole,” Nick slurred in a loud voice as he fumbled with his seatbelt.

AJ pressed his hand into Nick’s arm. “You can’t right now, we have to stay in our seats.”

“But I have to pee now!” Nick whined.

”Nick! Nick!”

Turning towards the voice, Nick was met with Kevin’s icy green eyed stare. He mouthed the words sit down. Nick grinned and waved at his older bandmate. “Waz up bro?”

Again, Kevin mouthed sit down!

“What did you say? I didn’t hear you bro,” Nick slurred. The flight attendant announced that the pilot said they had cleared the turbulence and it was okay to move about in the plane’s cabin. Kevin wasted no time in unbuckling his seatbelt and strode over to the young blonde. He quickly grabbed Nick by the arm.

”Ouch! What the fuck are you doing?” Nick gasped, trying to jerk his arm away.

“Come with me,” Kevin replied in a harsh whisper. He could feel the color rise into his cheeks, stained from the embarrassing situation Nick had put him into. As he led Nick towards the back of the plane, he kept his eyes lowered to the floor, not wishing to see the faces of the other travelers. Once they reached the galley, he spun his young charge around to face him.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing? Shit, what have you been drinking?” Kevin asked as he waved his hand in front of his nose.

”Whiskey,” Nick replied, locking his bloodshot eyes with Kevin’s clear emerald eyes. The glare and the sudden furrowing of his eyebrows caused Nick to add, “it’s for medicinal purposes.”

“Medicinal my ass,” Kevin growled. “You are going to sit with me the rest of this flight. You’re a disgrace to the group and you should be damned thankful that Lou and Johnny are in first class and they haven’t seen the shape you’ve gotten yourself into.”

Nick’s expression soured. “I can do what I want to do.”

“Like hell you can. I’m responsible for you and you will listen to me, got it?”

Tears started welling up in the young boys eyes. “You hate me, don’t you?”

Kevin sighed. “I don’t hate you.”

“Y-you want me out of the group, don’t you?”

Kevin raked a hand through his hair. “I didn’t say that.”

“You didn’t have to say it, I can tell. All of you hate me!”

Kevin’s eyes darted toward the front of the airplane quickly as he requested Nick to keep his voice down. Nick immediately burst into tears in response.

“You think I’m a big fat loser too don’t you?”

“What? No, I don’t think that Nick,” Kevin reassured.

“Lou thinks I’m a fat loser so does Johnny.”

“Nick, calm down, okay, s-h-h-h-h, it’s going to be okay, you’ve been drinking, you’re going to be fine,” Kevin soothed. “No one thinks you’re a loser.” Wrapping an arm around the young man’s shoulders, Kevin hugged Nick and then told him he was going to take him back to his seat.

“I gotta pee first,” Nick annouced as they passed the restroom door.

Kevin sighed as he opened the door. “I’ll be standing out here waiting okay.”

Nick sniffled. “Okay. I love you Kev.”

“I love you too Nick, now go to the bathroom.”

Kevin shook his head as Nick banged the door closed behind him. After a few moments the sounds of Nick shouting behind the door, cut through the air.

“Whoa big fella! Easy there!”

Several people turned in their seats to gaze upon an embarrassed Kevin Richardson, standing next to the restroom doors. He lowered his head and told Nick to keep quiet in a sharp whisper. Quickly grabbing his young band brother by the arm, Kevin told Brian that Nick was switching seats with him for the rest of the flight.

Almost on cue, the flight attendant brought back two bags of potato chips and handed them to Nick. He greedily tore open the first bag, shoving handful after handful of chips in his mouth. Kevin bowed his head and furiously massaged his temples. There was still five hours left in the ten hour flight.

The worst was yet to come.

21 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 21

AJ shifted nervously in his seat on the bus. Kevin’s hard glare hadn’t let up from the time he nailed Nick on the plane up to this point. He already had given his speech and AJ blew him off, trying to sound cool about the whole thing telling Kevin that Nick was in control of his own self and nobody put the extra whiskey in his mouth.

AJ couldn’t help but grin despite himself at the way Kevin over reacted to the situation; raking his hands through his hair, collaring Nick and literally pulling him from the aircraft. It was once they were clear of the plane and from Johnny and Lou did Kevin light into AJ, Nick standing beside him the whole time, his eyes half mast and his body swaying from side to side, hiccuping every so often.

“How could you let this happen?” Kevin demanded, his jaw set.

AJ stared the older man down, shrugging his shoulders. “Don’t know what you’re talkin’ about.”

“You know exactly what I’m talking about AJ! How could you let Nick get so drunk?”

“Since when was I elected to be his personal bodyguard? The kid has a mind of his own. Take it up with him.”

AJ smirked wondering what expression Kevin had on his face when he turned away from the conversation leaving Nick in his care. He was sitting in the seat next to Nick who managed to be safely passed out for the moment, escaping Kevin’s wrath.

You’re dead meat, Kevin mouthed at AJ. AJ’s mature response was cupping a hand to his ear to say he didn’t hear what Kevin said. Kevin mouthed the words again and AJ simply held his middle finger into the air, grinning at his older brother and mouthed the words ‘fuck you’.

AJ’s smugness suddenly evaporated when the bus roared to an unscheduled stop in a city parking lot. His face paled when the bus driver announced that they would be stuck there until the cause of the engine trouble had been found and fixed. His dark brown eyes met up with the staring green eyes of Kevin’s.

Reacting quickly, AJ nudged Howie. “Dude, unscheduled shop, let’s go check the stores.”

Howie’s eyes fluttered open and he looked around the bus with a disoriented look on his face.

AJ jerked on Howie’s arm. “We’re in Germany, our bus is broke down, let’s check out the shops to kill some time.”

Kevin stood up and approached the two men. “I’m coming along with you.”

“We don’t need your help Kev, I think we can manage,” AJ replied as he slid out of the seat.

“I’m not going for your help AJ, besides, I can do what I want,” he hissed.

“Whoa, I think I’ll let you two go by yourselves, I sense a little tension here,” Howie stated as he sank back into the seat.

AJ grabbed the Latino by the arm. “Nope, you’re coming with me,” he urged and then added after he looked at Kevin’s face, “I need you along with me for protection.”

Howie looked back at Nick and Brian sleeping. “What about those two?”

“I’m sure they’ll be okay, let’s go,” AJ sighed.

A few moments later, Nick stirred in his sleep. Looking around, he wasn’t sure if it was Brian’s snoring that woke him or the fact that the bus was no longer running. At any rate, he decided three things: 1) he had a headache 2) his stomach was killing him and 3) he was thirsty.

Looking out the window, he saw that they were near several stores. Although the words were German, Nick figured he could find what he needed easily. Making sure he had his wallet in his back pocket, he slipped off the bus without waking Brian up.

The first store he spotted had dark windows and the sign above the door was in bold black letters: SamtNote. As he opened the door and looked inside, Nick immediately turned around. He knew by the rows of pornographic video tapes that this was not a pharmacy. In the back of his mind he wondered if AJ would be in there.

Nick walked a few blocks away, and discovered what looked to him like a Walgreen’s. The name Honsowitz was over the top of the double doors leading into the building and the word Drogespeicher in smaller letters below.

Relieved when he saw the endless rows of medications was quickly short lived when Nick discovered everything was labeled in German. A language he had zero comprehension of.

“Okay, find something that looks like Tylenol and you’ll be safe,” Nick coached himself as he wandered down an aisle. Spying a bottle that looked relatively familiar, he quickly scooped it up, trying to sort out the German wording on the label. Narrowing his eyes at the phrase ‘entlastet das Einzwagen’ Nick thought he recognized the word relief and decided it was what he wanted.

Now he needed some Pepto Bismol for his stomach ache. A few shelves below there was a pink box that was liquid. Assuming since it was in the same section it was what he needed for relief. Barely looking at the label he walked up to the counter and placed his purchases next to the register. The pharmacist looked at the items and placed a slight smile on his face.

“gutes Gluck zu Ihrem Freundinsohn,” he grinned as he took the money.

“Yeah, thanks,” Nick mumbled in reply, not knowing that the man said he hoped that his girlfriend felt better.

Leaving the store with his medicines in a plain white bag, Nick headed off in search of a store to buy water or a soda. The fact that he was thirsty coupled with the fact that he needed something to wash the asprin down with, led Nick on his quest.

Wandering a few more blocks, Nick finally spied something that he could read. A symbol that he embraced as ‘home’. It was a Coca~cola sign inside a window of a store. Without a second thought, Nick rushed into the store and grabbed a bottle of the soda. Standing at the counter next to the cash register, he laid down a crumpled D-mark. As he turned to leave, the store keeper called out to him.

“Hey!”

Nick jerked around. “Huh?”

“Sie gaben mich zuviel!” the woman stated as she waved several bills in the air.

Redfaced, Nick smiled sheepishly and accepted the money from the short, stout woman. “Um, thanks.”

“Auf Wiedersehen.”

Shrugging his shoulders, Nick repeated, “Ralph Weederson to you too.”

Smiling, the woman shook her head as she wiped her hands off with her plaid apron. “Amerikaner.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Hey, wake up!”

Brian jerked in his seat as he opened his eyes to see Kevin, AJ and Howie’s face staring at him. Rubbing his hand over his face, he sighed. “We there already?”

“Where’s Nick?” Kevin demanded.

“Huh?”

“I said, where’s Nick. He’s not on the bus,” Kevin pressed.

“I-I don’t know, isn’t he with you guys?”

“Oh this is just lovely,” AJ rasped. “The bus is good to go and no sign of damn Carter.”

“Well I’m sure he couldn’t have went too far being hungover,” Brian replied, gazing at AJ for good measure when he mentioned the word hungover.

AJ threw his hands up in the air. “Why does everyone blame me for this shit?”

“Because you thought it was funny getting the kid drunk,” Brian growled.

”ENOUGH! STOP BICKERING!” Kevin yelled. “We need to find Nick. Let’s branch out.”

AJ peered out the bus window. “Fan out? Where the hell to? This is a freakin mall in a freakin foreign country. Hell, I can’t read a freakin thing on the signs.”

“God AJ would you stop with the freakin word?” Howie hissed, finally losing his calm persona.

“Everybody go ahead, it’s pick on AJ today I guess. It’s your turn now, right Kevin?”

Brian closed his eyes and moaned. “Oh for the love of God, would you stop being so paranoid?”

AJ spun around to face Brian, his eyes wide. He started jabbing his pointer finger repeatidly into his own chest. “You talkin’ about me being paranoid? Me?”

“AJ calm your ass down, now!” Kevin ordered as he raked a hand through his hair. “We’re not gonna find Nick arguing over who did what. Okay, Howie you go south, lets say two blocks, AJ, go north two blocks and Brian east, I’ll take the west. We’ll meet back here in an hour.”

The three separated and went off in the directions that Kevin told them to go, AJ shaking his head

“God, why does this kid put me through so much hell?” Kevin muttered as he shoved his hands into the front pocket of his jeans. He shook his head as he thought about the millions of times that Nick played his little hide-n-seek games or any of the number of pranks that he loved to pull. This time it was different, Kevin theorized, because Nick was still a little drunk, he thoughts wouldn’t be clear but also the fact that they were in Germany and Nick had zero comprehension of the language.

Kevin was the only one in the group that had no difficulty with understanding German, he spoke it fluently and figured once he laid his hands on the wayward boy, he was going to make good use of the colorful aspects of the German language.

“Where would he have possibly gone?” Kevin wondered as he stood in the center of the parking lot, looking at the various shops that lined the streets. “Well, if dumbass hadn’t been drinking I would figure he was hungry,” he mused as he looked at the name of the restaurant directly in his line of vision.

~*~*~*~*~

“Shit.....shit...shit,” Nick whined as he looked at his unfamiliar surroundings. Clutching his stomach, he fought the urge to vomit, tears filling his eyes. Turning in a complete circle, Nick tried to get his bearings, looking for a landmark that would hopefully point him back to the safety and the security of the bus.

“How could I get lost?” he moaned as he looked around. He decided he couldn’t ask anyone for help or directions anymore because the last time he asked, they only spoke German and that was of no use to him at all.

Sitting on the grass with his medications and the bottle of soda at his side, Nick grabbed the package of “asprin” and tore it open, spilling two white oval tablets into the palm of his hand. With his stomach knotting and unknotting, he decided he should drink some to the German made “pepto-bismol.”

Uncapping the pink bottle, Nick sniffed the contents tentatively, wondering if it was what he thought it was. Shrugging his shoulders, he tipped the bottle back and immediately realized his mistake when the soapy tasting fluid burned his mouth. He quickly threw the bottle down and started spitting out what he hadn’t swallowed.

”God! arrrgh.........god!”

Coughing and gasping, Nick quickly uncapped the bottle of coke, desperate to wash out the foul taste in his mouth. After several attempts, he finally was succesful.

Suddenly feeling lost and vulnerable, he leaned back against the shade tree, folding his arms tightly across his chest. He decided to rest before he tried to retrace his steps, hoping that maybe someone would be out looking for him. It didn’t take too long before he started to doze off.

~*~*~*~*~

After walking in and out of a few shops, Kevin was beginning to wonder what happened to Nick. All sorts of thoughts ran through his mind ranging from kidnapping to Nick getting hurt. Shaking his head, he tried to dismiss the negative thinking from his mind.

“One last shop and I’ll turn back,” Kevin decided as he entered the store. Clearing his voice, he approached a woman that stood behind the counter.

“Hello, I was wondering if you could help me find someone,” Kevin asked in perfect German.

The woman smiled. “I’ll try.”

Pulling out the picture of Nick that he carried in his wallet, Kevin showed it to the woman. “I’m looking for---”

The woman’s face lit up. “Yes! I saw him! He bought a cola! I couldn’t understand him, that I remember,” she interrupted.

“Did you see where he went?”

The woman shook her head. “No, but maybe my son Mikal saw him, he was outside sweeping the walk earlier. Let me find out.”

After a few moments, the woman returned, a broad smile on her face. “He said your friend went north.”

“How long ago?”

“Oh I would say it’s only been maybe a half an hour.”

Kevin smiled, thanking the woman before he quickly left the store. His excitement in getting closer to finding Nick was short lived when he realized that he wasn’t any better off than what he had been when he entered the store.

Looking towards the north, his eyes scanned the horizon, looking for anything that would point him in the direction of where Nick went.

“Johnny is going to kick my ass when I come back and tell him Nick’s missing,” Kevin sighed. Just as he was about to give up and turn back, he saw a body laying in the park across the street, nestled up to a large tree.

“Thank God! I’ve found him!” Kevin cried out as he rushed towards the street towards Nick’s sleeping form. In his excitement to get over to the park, Kevin was nearly hit by a car as he crossed the street. The driver screeched his tires, honking his horn. As he drove off, he shook his fist in the air.

“Aww, Nicky,” Kevin sighed as he looked at the young boy sleeping on the grass. Beside him laid his soda bottle and the meds he had purchased. Kevin’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion when he read the names of the products next to Nick. He suddenly started to laugh.

Nick jerked awake and stared at Kevin’s face, a blank expression in his eyes. He wiped the sleep from his eyes and it took a few moments before Nick realized where he was.

“Kev, god, I’m so glad to see you,” Nick smiled wanly as he scooped the pills and the bottles up and shoved them into the white pharamcy bag.

Kevin offered a hand to pull Nick into a standing position. He put his arm around Nick’s shoulderas he led him back to the bus. “Why did you take off without telling anyone like that?”

“I had a headache and a stomach ache,” Nick sheepishly explained, “so I thought I’d go get some asprin and a bottle of pepto.”

“That stuff right there?” Kevin asked as he gestured to the white bag Nick carried.

“Yeah.”

“Did you take any of it?”

“Nick’s face turned red. “Well, um, I figured out that the pink stuff wasn’t what I thought it was.”

“But you did take it, right?” Kevin pressed, a smile was tugging at his mouth.

“Yeah, but I spit it out,” Nick confessed.

Kevin chuckled. “Do you know what you drank, better yet, do you know exactly what you took?”

Nick could sense this was going to lead towards information he didn’t want to know about.

“Nick, you took Midol and you drank some woman’s liquid vaginal cleansing soap!”

“Oh god,” Nick breathed, a shocked and humiliated look crossed his face.

“Don’t worry, you won’t die from it,” Kevin reassured.

Nick suddenly realized his life would be pure hell if AJ found out about what he did. He quickly grabbed his older brother’s arm. “P-please, j-just don’t tell anyone, okay? Please?” Nick begged as he threw the bag into the nearest trash bin.

Laughing, Kevin patted Nick on the back. “I won’t, but just remember, I now have one up on you for future blackmail!”

“God my life sucks,” Nick moaned.

Kevin chuckled. “Yes it does Kaos, but at least now it’s spring flowers clean and free of cramps!”

22 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 22

"I canīt fucking believe this," AJ growled as he slouched down beside Brian on the sofa in the dressing room. He rubbed his hand over his face in an attempt to fend off both the frustration and tiredness that was hanging over him like a cape.

"What canīt you believe?? Brian asked as he glanced up from the sports magazine that he was reading.

"Dumbass has been on the phone for like..an hour and.. and I need to make a call." AJ gestured with his head towards the payphone further down in the corrdior which Nick had occupied. "I wonder what he has to say that can be worth listening to," he mumbled more to himself than to Brian.

Brian laughed, "Come on Bone, give the poor dude a break. He is seriously is in love!"

A smile lit up AJīs face, "Yeah imagine Kaos being THE loverboy, who would ever had thought of that?"

"Yes," Kevin said as he sipped on a hot tea mug, trying to fend off an impending cold. "Nick is starting to have raging hormones."

"Yeah, but can you understand why? He is fucking obsessed with that girl and why I have NO freaking idea. Okay she might have a nice rack, but other than that she is a bimbo with no brain!" The words were uttered with resentment.

"I think you're mistaken here," Kevin interrupted, "Mandy is actually pretty smart."

"Yeah where? Between her tits?" AJ snorted. "No man Nick is thinking with his dick when it comes to this chick!" AJ didnīt spare the words and it was clear that he didnīt like Nick's new girlfriend very much at all.

"Bone," Brian said, slightly amused. "You may have some points there, BUT it is Nick's decision and he is in love with her."

"Yeah I know," AJ sighed. "Itīs just that I get the feeling that she's bad news. There is something about her that makes me think that she is just using him."

"Youīre just pissed because he is talking on the phone all the time."

"Yeah, yeah." AJ sounded a bit annoyed. "I need to call someone."

"That someone doesnīt have to be Amanda does it?" Brian said with a smile.

"Nah, that bitch is out of my life now..for good."

"Yeah right," It was Howie who came back from the bathroom. He smiled as he knew that AJ was still very much in love with the brunette. They had been dating on and off and he knew that AJ was getting more and more in love with that girl, IF only he knew how to keep his hands off other girls. And that was something Alexander James McLean had a hard time doing.

"And who dropped a coin in your ass?"

"There's no need to get testy," Howie said as he sat down in a chair beside the table. Turning to Kevin he continued, "Is that tea doing anything for your sore throat?"

"Mhmmm," the darkhaired man mumbled. They were all waiting for it to be time to go onstage and preform. This was the end of their second week that they spent in Germany.They had traveled all over the country, going to one city after the other. To tell the truth Kevin didnīt really know where they were this time. All of the cities looked so much alike.

"Why are you so pissed?" Brian asked when he saw how irritated AJ was. "It canīt all be because of Nick, can it?"

Brian always had a smooth way to get people to talk, just like Howie and AJ was on his way to spill his guts. To reveal how sick and tired he was at preforming every night. It wasnīt that he didnt like it, it was more that he needed a break. He longed to go back home. Meet Amanda. In the last time he changed his mind.

"That fucking dork is occupying the phone all the time," he snarled.

Brian frowned, knowing that something else was bugging his friend, but then decided to play the game. "Have you never been in love?"

"Yeah, but I sure as hell didnīt spend ALL my time talking to a chick!"

"No you banged her instead," Kevin muttered, coughing harshly.

"I did not!" AJ sounded pissed, "Like you, Kevin, have been the best of guys. I knew that you have screwed around with different chicks behind Kristin's back."

"I have not!" It was Kevin's turn to sound upset.

"Ok cool it," Howie the peacemaker was butting into the heated discussion. "We are all tired and this doesn't make things better."

"No and AJ," Brian grinned, "I remember someone that didnīt even want to go on tour because he was afraid that his girlfriend would forget him."

"Yes and this someone used to call this girl all the time, both before and after concerts," Howie filled in, smiling widely.

"Well that was different, AJ looked at his grinning friends.

"Different? In what way?" Kevin asked hoarsely, "Dude you still do it."

"I do not. Why do you always come with so many asumptions?" AJ snapped.

"Bone are you PMSing?" Brian asked, doing his best to lighten up the situation.

"Ha ha ha very funny," AJ muttered as he stood up again. "Iīm going to make sure that stupid over there is done talking on the phone." With that in his mind he went into the corridor, spotting the teen sitting down on the cold stone floor, leaning with his head against the wall of concrete. He seemed to be involved in some conversation where he was doing his best to convince someone something.

"Yes Mandy, yes baby, yup..yeah I think so to. NO I have not done it, no Mandy Pooh I wouldnīt and you know it." Nick sounded upset.

Listening to the conversation at hand AJ snorted. His little brother was acting so pathetic. It was like his new girl had him wrapped up in the palm of his hand. As he listened to the conversation go on and on AJ had set his mind. Nick was NOT thinking with his brain, instead other body parts had taken over! He feared that his friend would be seriously hurt sometime. According to AJ she was mostly attracted by his fat wallet.

"Hey," he said as he rapped his brother on the head with his knuckle. "You done soon?" He was being as polite as the circumstances would allow.

"Ouch!" Nick whined as he rubbed the sore spot on his head. "Why did you do that for?" There was accusation in his voice.

"Because you have been on this damn line for a fucking hour. What imporant stuff do you have to say to that bimbo?" AJ could have bit his toungue at the last word. He knew that his own thoughts about the girl was bad, but the warning signals flashed in front of his eyes.

The look Nick gave AJ was a look that could kill. And if that had been a reality he would have been buried six feet underground.

"You have to wait," Nick snarled as he turned back to the phone.

Catching one last glare at his watch AJ saw that he didn't have that much time to play with and leaning over Nicky he yelled into the receiver, "Fatty get off the phone. NOW!!!!"

"The response was immediate. "What the heck are you doing?" Nick barked as he once again covered up the phone with his hand. There was no need for Manda to hear what kind of language AJ could use.

"You have talked long enough," AJ stated coldly. "Now get off before I kick your ass."

"Ok hold on." Nick knew when it was enough and he would loose. Turning back to the phone he continued with the call, but was this time he was in the process of ending it, "No..no..AJ is just pissed..no it's nothing..no yeah, eh..you think so? You really do? Yeah..yeah Iīll guess that youīre right..yeah..ok..well listen I gotta go..I call you.."

AJ waited impatiently. If Nick wasnīt dating one of the most talkative brides over on the western hemisphere he would maybe actually manage to get to talk to Amanda before it was midnight.

"Carteeerrrrr!"

"Yeah, yeah," Nick mouthed to AJ before he continued, "No Mandy pooh, no..yes..yes I will..No I promise, I really gotta go now. AJ is waiting, yes baby..I'll call you tomorrow morning..yes..ok I'll call you after the show..No we are NOT going out..ok..well I see ya then." He looked up at AJ like he wanted the man to get out of the room so he could end the phone call in peace and quiet. But no such thing happened. Instead the skinny man leaned into Nick further and grinned.

Moving away from AJīs annoying glare he did one desperate attempt to end it all off, "Yeah..yes..me too..yes Manda..eh..do I have to?" Nick shifted nervously, glaring up at AJ ever so often. The skinny man didn't move a muscle.

"Okay, okay," he shielded the phone so that the last words would be unheard. AJ just leaned on closer, annoying him, Breathing down his neck. Just to spite him.

"Yeah Manda..eh..uh..yeah..aha..hrmmm..ok, ok...well sugar puffs," he said the last word as quiet as possible, but AJ spotted it and started to laugh.

"Sugar puffs!" he yelled out loud. "Youīre calling your chick sugar puffs?"

"SHUT UP!" Nick yelled, red in his face as he tried to take a swing at AJ. Moving fast, the skinny man jumped out of his way, escaping from getting hit in the process. Turning back to the phone Nick stuttered, "No Manda, no it wasnīt meant for you..itīs itīs Bone that's bugging the crap out of me."

AJ grinned.Mission accomplished. Even if he didn't get to talk to Amanda before concert he had at least annoyed Nick and Manda.

23 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 23

It was not even noon and Nick was totally dead on his feet. Last nights concert had been a success and even if two of them had been down with the flu that was gracing the Backstreet camp, it was still a hit. Yawning, Nick stared out of the bus window, watching the scenery passing by him. Trees and small German villages, and a cow every once in a while. It was boring and he had long abandoned the sketchbook that he had in front of him.

The gloomy weather outside and the rain that drizzled on the window made him feel down and he longed to be back in the sunshine state, swimming in the ocean. They were on their way to the next German city and the schedule was pressed. As soon as they arrive their was time for another interview and then one more show. The schedule was much too hard to cope with and Nick was feeling homesick. He didnīt know how he could stand being away from his family, especially Aaron for as long as four months!

Beside his peers, he missed Manda too. He knew that the other guys didnīt like her, yet he didnīt care. For the first time in his eighteen year old life he was in love. She was everything that he dreamed of and he felt happy being with her. AJ thought she was a jerk and that she was only using him. He didnīt listen to those remarks, AJ was probably just jealous he concluded. Girls often swooned around him, but he paid no attention to them. Manda had caught his heart and it was her he wanted to be together with. Mentally he decided that he would ask Johnny if she could join him in a week or two since it felt like an eternity until they would meet again.

They spoke to each other at least once a day and the phone bills were skyrocketing. Johnny blew a fuse over this, yet he didnīt care. All of the other guys, except Howie had girlfriends too and they called them just as often as he did. It was just that they didnīt get yelled at! Life was unfair and when he had pointed this out Johnny and that new tour manager Clark Kent, his real name was Clark Finnley, had been very upset. They had said that it would look bad if the fans found out that he was having a girlfriend and that he needed to concentrate on the fans.

Nick felt torn. One part knew that he had obligations and that he needed to act like he was single, the other part wanted to come forward and tell people about Manda. The managing part always won and he continued to lie about his relationship with her. Even if they had only been dating for a little over a month he still felt that she was right for her.

Sighing deeply Nick felt it all overhelming.It was stressful to always be on the road. To never have any time for privacy and always have to take other people into consideration, negotiate. It was also tiresome to always having to be on top, and if he had a day when he was low people always wondered what was the matter with him, if he was pissed over something. They were doing shows almost every night and the pace was hideous. They had to do photoshoots, meet and greets, interviews and lots of meetings in between and also work on the new songs that they were suppose to record in the beginning of fall. There was very little time to relax and on top of everything Nick was trying to finish his studies as a senior in high school. It was slowly starting to become too much for him to handle, yet he decided not to let it get to him.

Biting back the tears that were burning in his eyes, partly from exhaustion, partly from homesickness, he blinked heavily. He was no baby anymore and crying was something that he rarely did. Lately it was like his own emotions became frozen and he did everything in his power not to cry.

Wiping the tears away with the back of his hand he hoped that none of the other guys had spotted what he had almost started to cry. Glancing at the seats he was relieved to see that they were all occupied with different things. Kevin, who was one of the unfortunate ones that the nasty flu bug had decided to attack, was fast asleep, snoring with an open mouth since he was too stuffed up to close it.

A moment of mischevious thoughts came to Nick and he thought about playing a prank on his older brother. The idea faded soon out when he saw that a red shimmer was seen on his friends cheeks. No doubt from a fever. Nick was known to be a real prankster, even if he did less of that stuff nowdays then he did when he was younger. At one time he put a Kit Kat bar in Howie's mouth when he was fast asleep. What made the prank such a success was that he started to chew the candybar in his sleep.

Glancing at his other side he saw AJ sitting near the aisle. He was writing on the laptop and when Nick leaned over to see what he was writing the older man glared back. Angrily.

"Donīt," he warned as Nick stretched his neck to see what was written.

"Is it a loveletter?" he asked teasingly, just to be met with another hard glare.

"None of your business," Bone snarled as he continued to type at a furious speed.

"Okay," Nick shrugged. He had no energy to tease AJ and drew back into his shell again. Brian, who sat on the seat in front of him was fast asleep too. A book lay on his lap and it looked like he had stopped reading in midsentence. He was the other victim that the flubug had caught and he was not only suffering from a sore throat, he also had an upset stomach. Nick who had been sharing a room with Brian was painfully aware that he was sick as a dog since the Kentuckian had spent the better part in the bathroom all night.

With a sigh he looked at Howie who was chatting with one of their bodyguards. The Latino looked up from his conversation and smiled briefly to Nick. Howie or Sweet D' as they called him was very nice. He was outgoing and chatted along with most of the people that he met. Nick silently wondered why such a nice guy never had met a girl that he liked more than just for dating. Howie was often out on dates, but the true love bug never seemed to strike him.

A loud growl was heard in the bus and he knew instantly where the sound came. His stomach was complaining from hunger. Pressing his hand to his stomach he tried to comfort the hunger pains that he felt. The diet he was set on had slowly died out, mainly because it was hard to keep up with just eating healthy food when they were constantly on the run. McDonald's was the restaurant that was frequently visited and hamburger and other fast food consumed.

This morning he had overslept, much due to not being able to sleep since Brian was constantly sick all night long. He had missed breakfast and all that he gotten into his stomach was one small yogurt and some orange juice. Not much for a growing teen. On top of everything he hadnīt felt like eating the sandwiches that they served after the concert. He had been much too tired and just wanted to get back to the hotel and crawl into a warm bed. Now he was paying the price.

Another growl deep in his stomach made him think that he was so hungry that he could eat a horse.

"Johnny," he called out to his manager who sat chatting wíth Clark Kent further down in the bus, Receiving no response he tried a bit louder.

"Johnny!"

Still no response. The manager was probably ignoring him and this had Nick a bit upset. "JOHNNY!" he yelled, just to be met with a slap on his arm.

"Shut up," AJ whispered irritated. "People are trying to sleep."

Shrugging, Nick ignored that comment as he stroked the sore area on his arm. His yelling gave result as the dark man looked up, obvioulsy wondering what the rowdy teen wanted this time. "What?" he asked with a tone of annoyance.

Trying to ignore that they all seemed to be upset with him he mumbled, "I..I..just wanted to know..whe..when weīre stopping to eat. Iīm totally starving." He held his stomach as to prove his point.

"Well Carter," the manager said with a calm tone in his voice, "If you hadnīt overslept you wouldnīt be hungry right now. BUT you decided that sleep was more important and now you get to deal with the consequences. So Nicky you better have this clear; weīre NOT stopping!" There was an irritated expression on his face.

Upon hearing these words Nick thought he would die. Starve to death and he whined, "But I aaaammmmm sooo hungryyyy!" He felt that they were unfair, "Besides it wasnīt my fault that Brian didnīt wake me up." He pouted.

"Nick, Brian is sick, so donīt blame it on him" Johnny said harshly. "It was your own fault that you slept in and that was very irresponsible of you to do so. We all had to wait for you to get your ass on the bus." He paused briefly, "So it doesnt matter how hungry you are, we are NOT stopping until it is time to do so. You will have to wait!"

"But..but," Nick started, feeling the tears once again stung in the corner of his eyes. Swallowing hard he tried to get his emotions in check. He was NOT a cry baby!

"Nick," Clark said as he saw how upset the teen was becoming, "we will stop for lunch in about two hours, maybe less..think you can wait that long?" Clark was a nice guy and Nick had gotten to like him alot. Johhny, Donna and Lou he was starting to dislike more and more.

Swallowing hard, he nodded, "I guess I donīt have any choice."

Feeling sorry for the young man Clark continued, "Donīt you have something in that backpack of yours?"

Shaking his head he mumbled gloomily, "Nah I forgot."

"Or it is already gone?" Johnny filled in. Nick glared back, saying nothing. Management was constantly on him over his weight. They were saying that he didnīt take care of himself in the way he should be and they were hounding him over that he was getting fat. Nick didnīt think he was gaining THAT much weight even if he felt that he sometimes had a hard time zipping his pants.

Manda didnīt think he was fat at all and he listened to her, screw the management.

Sulking, Nick sank back at his seat, staring out on the landscape. The rain was pouring down and he felt even more low than before. That and hungry. It was bad that the management didnt allow him to eat, especially since all he could think of was food. As he felt sorry for himself he felt a knock on his shoulder. Turning around he was met with AJ peering at him with a concerned look in his eyes.

"You alright man?" he asked as he had set the laptop aside.

Nick nodded, not offering any more of an explanation. There were no need to say anything since AJ could clearly see that he was feeling far from fine. His stomach growled loudly, making him well aware of his predicament.

"You sure?" The voice were kind and Nick looked at his friend with an mixture of curiosity and surprise. No snide remarks came over the skinny mans lips and this had Nick a bit confused. The guys, especially AJ and Kevin had felled not too nice comments about his weight lately. This time Bone seemed genuinely concerned.

"Mhmmm," the teen mumbled as he continued to stare outside. A sigh was heard across the aisle and then silence again. Thinking that AJ had lost interest he continued to sulk. A headache, that came from the lack of food no doubt, was forming around his temples and he massaged his forehead. Dizziness was also threatning to overhelm him and he needed one thing: FOOD!

A rustle was heard and AJ came over to sit beside him. Nick moved his cd player and looked at the young man who held up something. "Here man," he said gently as a bag of potato chips were placed infront of him.

Surprised, Nick took the bag, eyeing it he felt his mouth start to water. Hunger gripped his intenstines and he wanted to dive into the bag and comfort the pain that he felt. But a small voice inside his head whispered "You need to lay off that Carter, youīre getting fat."

It was like AJ had sensed his hesitation as he said, "Aww come on man, eat it. You know I donīt want you to starve to death." He laughed nervously.

Pushing back the voice in his head Nick nodded and tore up the chips bag with his teeth. "Thanks dude." Sticking his hand down he pulled out a handful of chips and it felt so good when he felt the taste.

"Hey, take it easy," AJ grinned widely as he watched the blonde devour the whole bag like he hadnīt seen food for ages. To Nick it felt like an eternity since he had been without food for close to 15 hours!

Suddenly AJ dived back into his backpack and pulled up a coke and a banana, "Here you go," he said before returning back to his own seat.

"Wow thanks!" Nick said truly grateful, expressing his gratitude towards the skinny man.

"No problem," AJ grinned, "Now you have something to keep you occupied, just donīt overdo it man."

"Mhmmmm." The teen didnīt waste any time and soon he was happily munching on potato chips and a banana. After eating up it all, down to the last crumb he belched louldy, "Ummm sorry." Nick covered his hand over his mouth. He felt full. Maybe too full.

Scrunching up the empty chip bag a feeling of disgust swept over him. He felt like a pig and he certainly had acted like one. Not thinking at all what he had stuffed into his mouth. As another burp escapaed his mouth he caught AJ grinning back at him.

"Man one can think that you haven't eaten for a long time the way your wolfing down the food."

Being in the process of thanking his friend Nick opened his mouth when AJ commented, "Now that youīre full maybe we can get back to sleep and donīt listen to you whining about being hungry all the time." This was AJ, being nice, but then hitting with a comment when he least expected it. But deep inside Nick knew that AJ really cared about him. And he loved his brother. No matter what.

Peering over at Nick, atop his glasses, AJ continued slightly amused "That is ..if youīre not starting to whine beacuse you feel too full..are you Kaos?"

Little did he know how right he was.

24 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 24

“Nick, we’re here, come on,” AJ said in a low voice as he nudged a sleeping Nick.

Nick scooched his body on his side, his back facing the aisle and AJ. “I’m fine. You go ahead.”

“You just told everyone on the damn bus you were hungry!”

“I’m not anymore, I’m fine,” came the short reply.

“Oh for the love of God,” AJ mumbled as he stomped off the bus.

Burrowing himself further into his seat, Nick tried to seek a comfortable spot, trying to continue his nap, uninterrupted.

“Carter! Get your ass up!”

Not moving, Nick’s eyes flew open.

The tour manager swatted at the young boy’s back as he repeated his demand. “I said, get your fat ass up!”

“I’m not hungry,” Nick replied, not turning to look at Johnny.

“You made it a point to put everyone on this damn bus in a state of misery listening to you whine about how starved you were earlier, get your lazy butt off the bus and march into that McDonald’s and eat!”

Nick bit his lip, determined not to let the tears that pooled in his eyes fall. “I ate some chips AJ gave me, I’m fine,” he croaked.

Johnny grabbed the back of Nick’s tee shirt. “Bullshit! Let’s go!”

Jerked from his seat, Nick gave the manager a hard glare. The hatred that filled his eyes seemed to be mirrored by the older man. This was going to become a battle of wills for Nick. Johnny loved to pick on him too much, as far as Nick was concerned.

As the two walked into the restaurant, Nick’s eyes sweeped the lobby, spotting the guys clustered in the side lobby. Nick slowed his steps when he felt Johnny’s hand pushing on his back.

Stepping up to the counter, Nick thought at first he should be reasonable since Johnny was standing behind him and had seemed to be content on keeping track of every calorie Nick consumed.

Clearing his throat, Nick immediately dismissed the idea of ordering a salad and glass of ice water. “I would like two double cheeseburgers extra ketchup and pickle on it, extra large fries and a large chocolate shake and two hot apple pies.” He caught Johnny’s glare from the corner of his eye and looked back at the man. “Well, you insisted I eat.”

“Not the whole freakin restaurant!”

His face suddenly got hot, no doubt flushed from embarrassment at Johnny’s harsh words. Nick smiled weakly at the young girl that stood behind the cash register and she eagerly grinned back.

“Judas Kaos, did you order a whole cow or something?” AJ cackled as Nick slid into the booth with his tray.

“Ha ha really funny Bone,” Nick replied as he organized the food on his tray.

“Reedy Nick,” Brian remarked as he wiped his red nose with a tissue.

Concern etched Nick’s face as he gazed at his brother’s pasty complexion. “You look like shit.”

“I feed like it doo.”

“God don’t talk, better yet, don’t even breathe in my space,” AJ warned as he put a protective arm around his food and slid down the booth away from Brian.

Johnny in a booth with Clark, away from the young men but situated himself where he could keep an eye on them - especially Nick.

Meeting the manager’s glare once again, Nick tossed out the idea of only taking a bite of his lunch and quickly decided to eat everything that he ordered. Tearing off the wrapper, he sunk his teeth into the hamburger, taking a huge bite and chewing it with his mouth open.

Brian stared at Nick, a look of disgust on his face. “Chew wid your mouth shud!”

“I am,” Nick snapped back, spraying crumbs on the table.

AJ retreated further into the corner of the booth, dragging his tray along with him, almost situating his body ontop of Howie’s.

“Man AJ, you’re invading my space,” Howie grumbled.

“Sorry, but I don’t want to get sprayed by fatass garbage disposal.”

Nick opened his mouth to object to AJ’s snide remark but instead of a calculated response, a loud burp escaped.

Kevin quickly stood up, hot tea in his hands. “I’m going back,” he sniffed.

“Ride behind you Kebin,” Brian stated as he scooted out of the booth behind his cousin.

“Hey you two,” Johnny called out to Kevin and Brian. Kevin quickly stopped, Brian didn’t, running into the back of his cousin’s ankles. “Blow your noses when you get on the bus and set up that vaporizer, you need to be getting better by tomorrow’s show. You both sound like shit.”

“Nick looks a little green,” Howie observed.

“I’m *hic* fine *hic* H-howard,” Nick moaned.

“Well you sure as hell don’t sound fine to me, you gonna puke your guts out?” AJ cringed as he uttered the last words.

Wadding the hamburger wrapper into a ball, Nick shook his head. “I’m fine, I just want to *hic* get back to the *hic* bus and lay down.”

“Which is the worst thing to do after you stuff yourself,” Howie quietly commented.

Pulling himself from the booth and taking his tray to the trashbin, Nick could almost swear he felt himself waddle towards the exit. His stomach ached so badly he could cry. He overdid it once again to prove a stupid point to Johnny and now he was paying for it with discomfort.

*~*~*~*~*

“Okay, get your room assignments and meet back in the lobby in fifteen minutes,” Johnny announced as the bus pulled under the car port to the front entrance of the hotel.

Grabbing his backpack, Nick slinged it over his shoulder, making contact with someone that had been standing too close. He slowly turned and saw Kevin standing in the aisle, the palm of his hand rubbing the left side of his face.

“God Kev, I’m sorry. Lemme see it.”

Kevin shook his head as he continued to rub his cheek. When Nick reached out to pull Kevin’s hand off, he froze when a low growl was made by the oldest Backstreet Boy.

“God, I said I was sorry.”

“If you weren’t such a fumbling fuck up, you wouldn’t have hit Kevin in the face. You better hope to god he doesn’t get a black eye from that,” Johnny hissed as he handed Nick his room card.

Feeling tears stinging his eyes once again, Nick took the room card only to have it slip from his grasp and fall to the floor. He quickly retrieved the fallen laminated card and without making eye contact, stepped off the bus.

Stopping alongside the bus, Nick stammering, he grabbed the attention of the bus driver. “C-can I have my suitcase?”

“You know you’ll get them when the rest of the people on the bus get theirs.”

Feeling stupid about being denied his request, Nick turned on his heel and trudged towards the entrance to the hotel. Looking at the number on his room card, he headed towards the brass colored doors of the elevators. After punching the button for the sixth floor, Nick kept his eyes fixed to the gawdy carpet on the floor of the elevator. The car stopped at his destination, much to Nick’s relief and he quickly exited, walking towards room number 639.

As he started to slip the card into the door slot, Nick thought he smelled the distinctive scent of cigarette smoke. He silently prayed that his mind was playing tricks on him as he slowly cracked the door open. His suspicions were confirmed when he found AJ sprawled across a bed, cigarette dangling from his pursed lips, telephone grasped firmly in his hand.

“God my life sucks,” Nick moaned, flinging the backpack ontop of the empty bed next to AJ’s.

AJ glared at the blonde, shaking his head, taking a deliberate, long drag from the cigarette and exhaled the smoke purposely towards him. It was AJ’s personal way to get his digs into Nick since he hated cigarette smoke.

“Could you blow your fumes in the other direction?”

AJ cupped his hand over the receiver. “Can’t you see I’m on the phone?”

Nick’s only response was nasty glare and sticking his middle finger up. AJ laughed.

“Listen babe, maybe we can meet later tonight, I’ve got some suck ass interview this afternoon but I should be free to check out a club later on tonight.”

Half listening to AJ’s end of the conversation as he flopped his body onto the bed, Nick rolled his eyes and mouthed the words ‘I’m gonna gag.’

“Okay, buh-bye love,” AJ cooed and gently placed the receiver down. Taking a last long drag from the cigarette, he squashed the butt into the ashtray as he exhaled the blueish tinged smoke into the air.

“I hate bunking with you cause I end up reeking of cigarette smoke,” Nick mumbled.

AJ cocked his head to one side, a smile played across his lips. “Yeah I guess smoke and your B.O. is a nasty combination.”

“Fuck you!”

“Listen kid, we have to be with each other until we leave this.... where the sam hell are we?”

“How the hell should I know, ask Howie he seems to keep track of this shit,” Nick sputtered.

“Anyway, as I was saying, we have to be together until we move on to the next venue, so like it or not, we’re roomies for the time being.”

“Not if I complain!”

AJ stood up and drew the curtain back from the window as he peered out onto the courtyard of the hotel. “And who the hell would you be complaining to?”

“Well.. um, well..”

“Well.. um..well, yeah that’s what I thought,” AJ mocked.

“Fuck off and leave me alone,” Nick grumbled.

“Can’t now, we gotta go to the interview asshole,” AJ replied as he snatched the pack of cigarettes and his lighter from the nightstand.

“I’ll be down in a sec, I need to use the bathroom,” Nick announced as he stood up.

“Whatever.”

Nick flipped the door off angrily after it slammed shut. AJ seemed to be the one Backstreet brother that was on his case constantly on this tour and he couldn’t understand why.

As he stood in front of the toilet, he realized that he still had his pants unbuttoned from his McDonald’s binge. Shrugging his shoulders, he unzipped the jeans and relieved himself, keeping one hand on the pants so they wouldn’t fall to the floor.

When the time came to fasten his jeans Nick discovered he was having difficulty meeting the top of the pants close enough to button. His stomach was still bloated and distended from all the food he had consumed.

“Not the first time, won’t be the last,” Nick stated as he left the top undone and adjusted his shirt, as he took one last look in the large bathroom mirror.

*~*~*~*~*

“Goddamn it Nick, why the hell did you have to hit Kevin with that backpack? There’s no amount of pancake that’s going to cover his black eye!” Johnny glared as he looked at Kevin Richardson’s face.

“It’s okay Johnny, it was an accident, alright?” Kevin stated calmly.

“Well Carter is getting to be a clumsy oaf and he better start paying more attention to his surroundings or he’s going to be paying for it dearly!”

As Nick squirmed in his seat, he could feel his throat burn with the tears he was desperately trying to keep down. He hated Johnny more than AJ’s cigarette smoke he wished he would get off his back and making an example of him everytime something didn’t go right.

“Johnny, just leave Nick alone, okay? He didn’t do anything wrong.’

‘Thank you Howie for coming to my rescue,’ Nick mentally cried out.

“We’re ready to tape,” the director announced as the hostess took her seat opposite of the boys.

“Watch your step, Carter,” Johnny threatened, “I’ll be watching you!”

*~*~*~*~*

“This is so unfair,” Nick mumbled to himself as pulled out a Nintendo game. Once again the rest of the group went out clubbing on one of the rare nights they had off and once again, Nick was left all alone in the hotel room. The interview came off shitty, in Johnny’s normal opinion and one of the first questions posed by the interviewer was the black eye that Kevin had and how did he get it. Nick couldn’t do anything but paste on a false smile as the rest of the guys laughed about how clumsy he was.

He wanted to call Manda, she would be the one that would make him feel better. His own mother would probably agree with Johnny and tell him to clean his act up, Nick theorized. He couldn’t call Manda because that was denied by Johnny when he informed Nick that his spending was way out of control and the phone calls were to cease.

Now Nick’s only source of entertainment was video games and junk food. Sprawled across the bed, he was surrounded by empty candy bar wrappers and pizza boxes and different cans of soda. Winning the video once again, he tossed the controller onto the floor and rolled onto his back.

Staring at the ceiling, Nick’s thoughts drifted towards what everyone else was doing. “I hope they’re having a rotten time,” he said darkly.

The ringing telephone interrupted his lonely thoughts and Nick looked hopefully at the device, silently praying that Manda was calling.

“Hello?”

Hearing the noises of a party in the background, Nick’s enthusasiam was short lived.

“Hey, it’s Kev, just checking to see how you’re doing,” he shouted into the phone.

Instead of speaking, Nick burped loudly into the phone.

“That was pretty rude,” Kevin reprimanded.

“So?”

“What are you doing?”

“What does that matter to you? Go back with the guys and have fun, who cares about me anyway,” Nick spat angrily into the phone.

“I’m asking because I do care,” Kevin yelled, trying to be heard over the loud crowd that was in the background.

“I’m just laying around, there’s so many fun things to do in a hotel room,” Nick scoffed.

“Now I feel bad,” Kevin replied, shouting.

“Hey, room service is here, I gotta go,” Nick said quickly and hung up.

”Nick? Nick? Are you there?”

“What’s the kid up to now?” Johnny asked, hearing Kevin yelling into the receiver.

Hanging the phone up, Kevin turned to face the man. “He’s feeling alone I guess, he mentioned something about room service and I guess he had to go.”

“That damn kid!” Johnny groaned.

Kevin looked at the older man, confusion on his face. “Huh?”

“Carter is supposed to follow a diet and that means no goddamn pizza at,” grabbing Kevin’s arm, he looked at his wrist watch, “twelve-thirty in the goddamn morning!”

“Give the kid a break, he’s alone and he’s bored,” Kevin defended.

“And getting fatter as the tour goes on. This is bullshit!”

Kevin patted Johnny on the back. “Ease up on him, okay? He’s only eighteen.”

“Eighteen pounds heavier,” Johnny grumbled as he walked away.

Munching on a large slice of pepperoni pizza, Nick’s eyes fell onto the telephone sitting on the nightstand. Pushing aside the hurtful words that Johnny had said to him about the phone bill from two days ago, he reached over and pulled the telephone onto the bed.

“Do I or don’t I?” Nick asked himself outloud. A grin spread on his face. “I do!”

Nick giggled like a school girl as he defiantly dialed operator. “Yes, I’d like to make an overseas call.....”

~*~*~*~

”CARTER! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO LAST NIGHT!?” Johnny’s voice boomed. Nick and the rest of the group winced when Johnny’s voice boomed in the lobby of the hotel.

“I-I d-didn’t d-do anything. I-I s-stayed in my room last night,” Nick stammered.

Johnny threw the young man a dark expression. “You bet you stayed in your fuckin’ room.”

Nick’s eyes fell onto the paper that Johnny gripped in his hands. Johnny’s eyes followed Nick’s. “Yeah, that’s right Carter, it’s all here. Everything you did last night.”

Nick swallowed nervously, his face grew pale. He had intended on getting to the checkout desk this morning before Johnny got up and pay the phone and room service bill but he overslept.

“You seem to be slow enough that you didn’t realize that your room service and the phone calls I strictly prohibited you from making left a trail?”

“I-I, um, I-I was bored,” Nick stammered quietly.

“Bored my ass! Do you realize you ran up a $350 phone bill last night? Who the hell did you call that cost that much money?”

“Sex line?” AJ joked, smiling. His smile vanished when Johnny glared in his direction.

“I don’t think Carter is brillant enough to figure out how to call sex lines. No, he called someone in the States, in Florida to top it all off and it wasn’t home, was it?”

Nick could only shrug his shoulders.

“And a goddamn room service bill is on here too. What the fuck did you eat last night that totalled $179.50?”

“Room service is pricey,” Brian defended.

Again, a glare was cast by Johnny and Brian’s face reddened.

Johnny stood toe to toe with Nick and started screaming in his face. “You’re fat, you’re lazy and you don’t listen to a goddamn word I tell you! You better watch yourself Carter,” Johnny hissed as he poked Nick’s stomach. “You’re starting to get beyond cute and looking chubby bordering on obese! Mark my words, I’ll be on you like a second layer of skin.”

Nick could only stand and listen to Johnny scolding him. He wished the ground would swallow him up. He never felt more alone and more humiliated than what he did right now.

25 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 25

As if the chewing out in the hotel lobby by Johnny wasn’t enough for Nick’s humiliation, the chaos that went on during the other night’s concert fueled more fire to the ’Let’s-tease-Nick-until-he-cries’ fest. The bus trip was bad enough, but now Nick had to spend the entire trip filled with endless comments and angrily glares directed his way.

“Unfucking believeable,” Johnny spat as he folded the newspaper. He lifted his eyes and stared at the young blonde.

Nick averted his eyes from the manager’s, suddenly becoming interested in the zipper on his backpack. With nervous fingers, he played with the steel tag.

“Lousy reviews from this and it’s your fault again, Carter!”

Breathing quietly, Nick hoped that one of his brothers would step up and tell Johnny to leave him alone.

No one helped and the overbearing manager continued his verbal assualt.

“I think you need to concentrait more on what you’re doing onstage instead of screwing around Carter. You proved that you’re a slob last night.”

Finally, someone else started speaking.

“Yeah, it was funny when his pants fell down to the floor,” AJ snorted.

“I had trouble with the zipper, it wouldn’t work,” Nick defended, his eyes watering.

“Trouble my ass,” Johnny breathed. “You see Nick, zippers are designed to work on the clothes where the person is actually perportioned to the size of the item. In other words, that zipper couldn’t take the stress of the added fat of you trying to squeeze into the pants.”

There was no way Nick was going to admit that he was a little bloated the other night and was having troubles with his costumes. He struggled with every costume change and one outfit would only zip up half way. That was the pants that slipped off him during a mid-spin in a choreographed dance number.

“I’m going to have the tailor see to having your stuff altered, but by no means does that mean you can continue your bad eating habits. We have more time on this tour and at the rate you’ve been going you’ll be weighing 300 pounds by the time we’re done.”

Heat was rising in his cheeks and Nick wanted to die from embarassment. AJ was of no help to the situation when he kept snickering from two seats behind where Nick was sitting.

“Hey fatass how much do you weigh now?” AJ cackled.

Nick only offered silence as his reply. The silence was only interrupted with Brian blowing his nose so hard it honked.

”Well? Don’t you know?” AJ pressed.

“Carter hates to admit that he weighed 200 when the tour started and I bet now he’s probably pushing 220,” Johnny offered.

Nick hung his head, staring at his backpack. This was grade school all over for him. The constant teasing and people picking on him. Backstreet was supposed to be different, he thought. It was gradually becoming everything but.

He cast a wayward glance over towards Kevin, wondering why he didn’t speak up and bail him out. He found Kevin asleep, his head resting against the window, an open book in his lap. Feeling the unshed tears burn in his eyes, Nick suddenly jumped up and walked with his head down towards the rear of the bus towards the bathroom.

“God, he’s a little sensitive this morning,” AJ mused. “Mister moody can’t take jokes.” Glancing over at the space Nick vacated, AJ’s eyes caught a slip of pink flowered paper, neatly folded. A smile played on his lips as he reached over, plucking the paper off the seat.

Opening the paper, AJ discovered feminine handwriting, with all the I’s topped with tiny hearts. He laughed outloud.

“Whad’s so fuddy?” Brian questioned as he wiped his reddened nose.

“It’s a love letter to fatass, from Manda,” AJ sing-songed.

“You shouldn’t be reading other people’s mail AJ, put it back where you found it!” Howie scolded.

“No way,” AJ chuckled as he read the letter. “This is too good to pass up.”

“Seriously J!” Howie continued as he cast a dark look at his best friend.

Clearing his throat, AJ read the letter outloud in a mock feminine voice:

My Dearest Buttermuffin,

“Buttermuffin, oh gawd!” AJ snorted, shaking his head. Although Howie was mad at AJ reading Nick’s private mail, he couldn’t help but snicker at the name. Composing himself once again, AJ continued:

My Dearest Buttermuffin,

When you read this you must be feeling the ache in your heart as well as in your tiny soldier for me because I miss you so much. You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray.

“Oh my gawd, can this get any worse?” AJ laughed, shaking his head. Scanning the letter, he nodded. “Yes it does, listen to this!”

I can’t wait to see you again so you can do all those naughty things we’ve talked about doing to me before you left. I know you won’t forget to call me every night and every morning while you’re gone. I’m giving you the number so you won’t use the excuse that you’ve forgotten it. 813-546-3434. I wish you were here right beside me right now. I would do so many silly things with your little Nicky that would give you chills babe.

Until we meet again. All my love,

Sugarpuffs

The men’s laughter quickly died down when Nick walked back up the aisle to his seat. He glanced warily before sitting down.

“Hey Buttermuffin,” AJ catcalled and the laughter started up once again.

A look of confusion washed over Nick’s face when he wondered how AJ knew about Manda’s nickname but quickly decided he must have heard her on the phone. He ignored AJ, as he picked the backpack up off the floor.

“Buttermuffin is sooooo wrong,” AJ continued. “She should be calling you Butterbutt or better yet, Beerbelly.”

Nick felt that a reply to AJ’s teasing wasn’t necessary and he continued his preoccupation with the backpack, intent on finding his Gameboy.

“How’s the little solider doin’? What kind of things does Manda have planned for Little Nick when we get back home?”

Nick stopped his search, feeling the humiliation rise to his cheeks. There were too many coincidences that were being brought up that would mean something other than a phone call. The last words that AJ sang were too close for comfort:

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine--”

Nick jumped up from his seat and narrowed his eyes at his older Backstreet brother.

“GIVE IT BACK!”

AJ tossed Nick an innocent, confused look. “Give what back?”

Trying to ignore the laughter, Nick continued. “You know exactly what I’m talking about! Give it back!”

AJ held the pink flowered note above his head. “You talking about this?”

Nick reached out to grab the note from AJ’s thin grasp only to have him pull it out of reach.

“Ah, so you want this back?”

“Give it back now,” Nick demanded.

AJ jumped ontop of a seat, making himself taller than the blonde and held the note up over his head, making Nick jump as he tried to reach the letter.

“Please! Give it back!”

As Nick jumped and reached out for the letter, AJ teased him by holding it within arm’s reach, only to draw it back. He laughed and the others joined in on the laughing. Tears started to slip down Nick’s cheeks.

“Crybaby?”

“AJ! THAT’S ENOUGH!”

The letter floated to the floor after Clark’s voice boomed over the laughter. Nick bent over and snatched the wrinkled note from the carpeted floor.

“We were just playing,” AJ defended as he hopped down from his perch.

“Yeah really looks like it too,” Clark challenged. “I could hear it from the front of the bus.”

Grabbing his gear, Nick rushed off towards the safety of the bunks in the back of the bus.

“I think you’ve carried this joke too far and frankly, I’m disappointed in all of you. How would you feel if Nick was doing this to you?” Clark asked as he looked at each of the men in the eye.

“I’d beat his ass,” AJ quipped with a smirk on his face.

“That’s not funny. I’m being serious. What you did to that poor kid will probably betray his trust in all of you. I think you need to be quiet the rest of the ride and think about what just happened here.” Turning towards Johnny, he cast an angry glare at the manager. “The same goes for you too. You’re suppose to stop these situations, not support them.”

*~*~*~*~*

Breaking the trance from the perfect dream where he was loved and not teased, Nick kept feeling someone poking on his shoulder.

“Nick, wade up! We’re here.”

Rolling over towards the voice, Nick came face to face with a watery eyed Brian Littrell. Cupping his hand over his mouth and nose, Brian quickly turned away from Nick to sneeze.

“Sorry,” he apologized. “We’re here. Da bus stobbed.”

Groaning, Nick grabbed his backpack and left the safety and security of the warm bunk and followed Brian towards the main area. Johnny was standing towards the front; the ever familiar blue acrylic clipboard in his hands.

“Room assignments have been changed for this stop,” he stated, eyes never leaving the paper attached to the clipboard. “Due to the fact that Howie is now under the grip of what I’d like to call, The Backstreet Flu Bug,” Johnny paused, snickering at his own joke, “Howie, Kevin and Brian will be bunking in a room together. “AJ and Nick will be sharing a room.”

Nick glanced at AJ, wondering what his feelings would be about the room assignment. The grin that was on the man’s face explained it without words.

He would be in for hell.

26 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 26

"Yo!" AJ called out as he banged on the bathroom door, "Hurry up we have to leave in ten."

Stepping out of the shower Nick pulled down the towel from the rack. "Iīll be out in a sec," he shouted back as he wrapped the white towel around his waist. Glancing into the steamy bathroom mirror he stuck his toungue out to the reflection that was staring back at him. With disgust he noticed that his stomach was actually getting pretty big. Sucking in his breath, he tried to make himself look skinny. It didnīt work for long since he had to exhale. He hated his stomach. No matter how much he worked out or went on a diet he still looked like he was bloated. Nick knew that he wasn't actually fat otherwise, for some strange reason it all went to his stomach.

"Crap!" he muttered to himself as his stomach became bigger again. "Iīm getting a freakin' beer belly." It was totally ironic since beer was something he seldom touched. It had itīs explanation since he once got so drunk on that stuff one time in Germany. He often said in the media that he never drank and that was not true. Okay, there were not many times that he drank, but like almost all eighteen year old guys he had gotten drunk at some occasions.

The first time he was drunk was on dark larger back in '96. AJ had tricked him into trying it and soon he was having the time of his life. They were riding on the bus and at first the guys had thought he was pretty funny, that was until Nick got the taste of what drinking too much did to your body. Johnny had been scared shitless that the media would find out what the Backstreet baby had done so he had refused stopping. The result had been that Kevin and Brian had taken turns staying up with him in the bus bathroom. It was his worst experience ever and from that day he swore that he would NEVER drink larger again. And he had still kept his promise!

"NICK Get your ass out NOW. Weīre getting late!" His thoughts were interrupted by AJīs harsh words. The banging on the door was deafening. Ignoring Bone's words he pulled up his jeans. As he was about to button them he noticed that they were a bit too tight. 'Shit,' he thought desperatly, 'Johnny is right. I really need to get on that diet'. The management kept telling him that NOBODY liked a fat popstar and that he had to watch what he ate.

No matter how much he tried to pull in his stomach he still looked fat, and the button made his gut hurt. Opening it up again he felt comfort again and he decided that he had to leave it open. If he put on a shirt over no one would notice his demise and he could pull off that stunt.

Nick sighed.

They were going to do another meet and greet before the concert and he didnīt feel like it at all. After traveling the whole day in a bus he was tired and sore. The shower had done a little bit to perk him up, but still he would rather stay in. Maybe call Manda and then go to bed early. Dark bags under his eyes was proof that he wasnīt getting enough sleep. Having shows almost every night was rather exhausting and at some nights he only got a few hours of sleep. This was way too little for a growing teen.

"If you donīt get out of there before I count to three Iīm leaving you," AJ barked before counting, "One, two," there was a brief pause, "Okay I am leaving on three."

"Well leave then," Nick yelled back. To tell the truth he was getting fed up with AJ nagging on him all the time. He loved and looked up at his 2 years older brother, but he honestly thought that he was getting way too much crap from him lately. Okay, he knew that Bone was pretty homesick, but he refused to be AJīs doormat.

"THREE!" AJ yelled, " Bye..Buttermuffin!" A loud laugh was heard before the door slammed shut.

A pang of unease ran through his spine. Nick didnīt like to be alone. As a matter of fact he often wanted some other person at his side and this was the main reason why he often shared hotel rooms with someone else. The guys used to joke with him that he needed someone to hold his hand when he was on the crapper. And this was not far from the truth. Nick had practically died when AJ had told on some Tv show in England that he needed some other person with him when he went to the restroom. Even if it was true, he didnt want the whole world to know what a sissy he was.

When he opened the bathroom door he noticed that AJ had made action of his threat. He was alone. MTV was blasting from the tv in the corner and he was actually happy that it wasnīt all silent. Picking up his jeans jacket he tucked his wallet in his jeans pocket and also grabbed the key card. Checking one more time in the mirror he pulled his hand through his hair and then decided that it would have to be good enough. He still looked like crap, but at least his hair didnīt look so flat and dull anymore. The shower had done him good.

As he hurried down the dusky and damp hallway towards the elevator, he felt his nerves make him all jumpy. Even if he liked the meet and greet it still made him nervous meeting so many fans. A bit further down he spotted Kevin walking slowly and not wanting to be alone he yelled, "Kev, Kev Wait up!"

The dark man, deep in his own thoughts, jumped as he heard the teens loud and shrill voice. Stopping, he waited as Nick run up to him.

"Hey," the blonde said, grinning.

Kevin didnīt return the smile, instead he said in his calm, Kentuckian drawl, "There's no need to shout. Iīm not deaf. Yet!" The voice was so hoarse that Nick looked at him with surprise.

"Wow! You sound like that English dude..you know..Rod..Rod Ste..something."

"Rod Stewart," Kevin corrected him with a sigh as he coughed hard into his arm.

"Yeah man," Nick nodded, "How are you going to preform sounding so shitty?"

Kevin shrugged tiredly. The dark man looked haggard. His eyes had a feverish shine into them and he coughed ever so often. His hunched posture revealed that he would rather be buried under tons of blankets instead of doing a show.

The flu was taking their hostage everyday at the Backstreet camp. Today's new victim was Howie and the Latino was everything but fine. He had been holding his head over a bowl the whole afternoon and Johnny had seriously reconsidered that he would be able to pull out. But they were doing a BIG pay per view show and it would be taped for German tv. So there was no backing out.

Brian and Kevin were not as bad off, but with Kevīs hoarsness and B'rok's stuffiness the concert wouldnīt be a huge sucess for the 20,000 people that had bought tickets.

"You should get a red card," Nick said a bit concerned as he pressed on the button to the elevator.

"Yeah right, Bri and D' are sick too you know and I donīt think that it would look good if we didnīt preform at all," Kevin sneered.

Nick looked a bit hurt. "There's no need to sound so pissed," he muttered. God, they were all mad at him. He had no idea what he had done to bug them all so much. Okay, he did his pranks like putting glue in Kevin's boxers or hide all of AJīs clothes. And then was that time when he put green food coloring in Howie's shampoo and itching powder in their clothes. He was mostly a pain in the butt, yet there were no need to be so upset when all he wanted to be was being concerned.

Kevin most have sensed that he came across sounding harsh, "Sorry Kaos. I didnīt mean to sound like that but I have a splitting headache." He coughed violently.

Fending off the germs that were floating through the air, Nick nodded. "Sīokey."

As the car arrived they stepped inside. Luckily it was empty and Kevin instantly leaned against the mirror wall, closing his eyes. Frowning Nick concluded that if Johnny had ANY sense in his small and narrowed brain he would see that several of the guys were too sick to preform. This years attack of the Backstreet bug was bad and he hoped that he wouldnīt be the next victim. Bugs like this had an tendancy to seek him up and he was surprised that it hadn't hit him yet.

When the elevator stopped, Nick spotted his band brothers sitting in the sofas down in the lobby. Both Brian and Howie looked like death reincarnated. AJ was the only one that looked pretty healthy.

Howie slouched on the sofa, leaning heavily against Brian. His facial complexion held a tone of more green than pale and he held a paperbag in his shaking hands. Sweatdrops coated his forehead and upperlip and everyone could see that this boy was not well at all to go up and preform.

Brian sat next him, looking almost as bad off. The flu had moved from his stomach up to his respiratory system and he was coughing phlegm and blowing a nose that was as red as a firetruck. Chills seemed to wrack his skinny body and the glossy eyes told that he was running a high fever.

If Nick had been the manager he would have given all three the red card. Pronto!

Johnny, however had no such ideas. "Good there you are," he stated as he saw the missing Backstreet Boys walking slowly towards them. "I need you Nick and AJ to go out and sign some autographs." The manager nodded towards the entrance where hundreds of fans were waiting for them to come out.

Stiffening, Nick looked outside. Girls in all ages were trying to get inside. They were screaming and panic surged up inside him. "You..you want u..us to go ou..out there?" he stuttered, not believing his ears. Johnny actually wanted to throw them out into that crowd.

Not that he had anything against his fans. On the contrary he was very grateful that they exsisted and showed so much appreciation for them. It was just that such big crowds often made him feel at unease, especially when they were going hysterical, screaming and trying to touch him. Ever since that incicdent last year when a girl had jumped over him, clinging onto his back as he ran inside the hotel, he was scared at meeting crowds like this. She had almost strangeled him and he had gone into panic.

"Yes Carter," Johnny sounded irritated as Nick interrupted him.

"But..but we..we will get crushed." Nick hated how he stuttered when he got nervous, but lately Johnny often made him feel like crap. His self esteem was hitting rock bottom.

The manager sighed heavily. The kid was getting on his nerves." You have any better idea? Maybe I should send out poor Howie to the fans. He could be puking over them. Or maybe Kevin could use sign language to communicate." Sarcasm was dripping. "Brian, Brian he could sneeze up their faces. They are sick, but you Carter, complains that you dont want to go out there beacuse you are afraid to get crushed. Man you sure are pathetic."

Nick shifted nervously, looking down to the floor. The rest of the boys seemed uncomfortable too and the way Brian bit his lip, clenching his fist he looked like he was ready to go up and punch the manager in the face. Yet they all kept their mouth shut, knowing that it was no idea to tell their manager off when he was in a bad mood. It would only come back to them later.

Looking hard at the teen the black man continued, "So do you think that I am asking too much out of you when I want you to go out and meet YOUR fans?"

"No..No" Nick mumbled, "But..but I think.." He was cut off by his manager once again.

"Carter this is NOT an option! You want me to call Lou and tell him that you are still disobeying orders even tough we had a long talk about your attitude?"

Shaking his head furioulsy Nick opened his mouth to interject. AJ mouthed a "NO!" It was clear that he thought it was better that his friend kept his mouth shut and didnīt say anything unwanted. Nick was a specialist to say the wrong things in the worst situation and he often made stuff worse by doing this.

He was about to repeat his mistakes when he whined, "You always nag at me!"

AJ shook his head, franatically trying to change Nick's path in irritating Johnny even further. Looking around in the lobby he tried to spot Clark Kent who was the only one who could stop the disaster that was about to happened.

But superman was nowhere when you needed him!

Ignoring AJīs desperate attempt to get him to shut up before he said something stupid, Nick continued in an irritating tone, "I will call my parents and tell them that you are treating me like crap!"

There are situations when Nickolas Gene Carter should have hold his mouth shut, and this was one!

The manager, set his eyes into the teen, "Are you threatning ME? You little punk!" There were a threat in his voice. "I really think you should reconsider what you are saying. I wouldnīt be too cocky if I had a hundred dollar long distance phone call waiting to get paid. And I somehow doubt that Mommie Dearest would like to pay up for that one."

Nick tensed. It was true. His mother wasnīt too found of Manda and she would rather see him leave her on the spot. Biting his lip he went silent.

Instead Kevin's hoarse voice was heard in the lobby, "A hundred dollar bill! What were you thinking?" The scolding was hanging in the air. "If it was AJ I would have understood, but you Nick?"

"Well thank you buddy," AJ muttered in the background, still shaking his head as he knew that Nick had dug his own grave. He could only hope that Johnny wasnīt in such a bad mood that it would be a massgrave. Judging from the managers foul look the outcome wasnīt promising.

Ignoring the skinny man, Kevin continued with almost no voice, " I wouldnīt have expected this from you. Is she really worth it?"

"NO!" AJ called out, getting a pissed look from Nick. Both Brian and Howie felt too bad to even consider to participate in the conversation.

"Eh..eh," Nick stuttered not knowing what to say.

The annoyed bottled up feelings that the manager had towards the "kid" was flaring up again. Nick was a hand full and he needed to be taught some sense. "I could just as easily decide that you are not," he stopped momentarily, thinking what to say next, "allowed to call ANY long distance phone calls at all."

"NO!" Nick yelled, "No, you canīt!" There was desperation in the eighteen year old voice. He was seeing all of his daily phone calls with Manda get washed down the drain. She would be so pissed that he didn't know if he could face her when he came back home. She would be so upset that he had screwed up and not calling her so he doubted that she would ever want to see him again.

AJ waved desperately for Nick to stop whining since he saw that Johnny's eyes turned suddenly black. It was like horns grew out from his skull as he turned towards the teen, leaning in on him. "Really? You think so?" Spit was flying from his mouth as he talked through gritted teeth, trying to stay calm. "Well from now on ALL long distance phone calls are called off, except to your family."

It was like Johnny had stabbed a knife into his heart and Nick could feel panic surge up inside him. "NO!" he called out, desperately. There was no way he could get to Manda now and when she didnt hear from him she would think that he had cheated and then she would breake up. Tears welled up in his eyes. He was surprised over how incredibally mean the manager could be. Johnny loved being in demand. He had liked the black man when they had started in the business, but the more successfull they had become the more greedy he became and the smaller Nick felt.

Kevin laid a comforting hand on his shoulder, squeezing hard. No words had to be said, but Nick could sense that the young man felt bad for him. The teen had frozen assets and he had to relay on the management for stuff like that. As a matter of fact they all had a bit of frozen assets and this was the main reason why Kevin was taking it up to a lawyer.

But Johnny wasnīt finsihed yet, "Lou called me earlier and he mentioned that you all have too high telephone calls. So until further notice I am cutting off all outgoing long distance phone calls that isnīt for family." He looked at each of them, "And that goes for you ALL of you."

The words that followed down in the lobby was not meant for human ears. Nick could swear that he saw the satisfaction in the manager's eyes. It was something different with Johnny these days and he suspected that he had a hunch that Kevin had spoken with a lawyer about getting out from Lou and the guys. There were also several rumors that Johnny was setting up a new group with some guys from Florida. Howie had mentioned that an old highschool friend of his named Chris was supposedly having contact with Lou and Johnny. Yet they couldnīt think that the Firm was that stupid that they signed another band.

"Ladies!" Johnny shouted when he thought that they had been arguing long enough. "I know that you are upset, but I honestly think AND hope that you are so mature that you donīt have to call back to your girlfriends every fucking day!" The comments that followed was not nice. Ignoring this he turned to Nick, "Well if you are done acting like pussies maybe you are up to fullfilling your obligations. And this means that you, Carter and Mclean better get your asses out there and greet the fans." He pushed their backs forward towards the entrence.

Glaring at his manager Nick wanted to flip him off.

Noticing the sour look, Johnny stated, "I donīt think that the girls would appreciate that grumpy face. You better put on the Backstreet smile or Iīm kicking your ass."

AJ walked beside him and even if he was so pissed at the teen he couldnīt help to grin. Johnny spotting this said, "Wipe off that smug grin off your face, because it is because of the blonde here you donīt get to talk to Amanda for a while."

AJīs smile faded as quickly as it appeared and he glared irritated at his little brother. Nick feeling the tension told a lame joke, just to be met with a hard stare from his brother. Smiling nervously, wetting his lips he felt awful when he knew how much Amanda meant to AJ, even if he was cheating on her ever so often. That was a part that Nick couldnīt understand - but then it was many things that he couldnīt understand with AJ!

As they were about to step outside to meet the fans, AJ leaned into Nick, whispering, "If Johnny does this so I'm not getting to call Amanda I will get pissed," he paused slightly, "and then your ass is grass!" With those words AJ opened the doors and stepped outside to the screaming hoard of fans. Their bodyguards were doing the best to fend off the fans that were attacking Bone. He smiled to all of them.

Nick however, was not smiling.

27 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 27

"God itīs warm," Nick mumbled as he threw off the sheet, tossing and turning for what seemed like the umpteenth time that night. Catching a quick glance at the red glowing digitals on his travel clock he registered that it was early in the morning. 4.25 am!

The show the previous night had been very taxing and even though Nick was totally exhausted, he still felt too worked up to sleep. He hadnīt even managed to get an eye shut the whole night and soon it would be time to get up and meet the world again. The reason for his worriedness was called Alexander James McLean and he was nowhere to be seen.

The concert had been a total disaster! Not only had the flu hit them in the back, showing itīs ugly face with having three of them preforming with a fever running in their veins, no Nick had to be the worst klutz too.

When he was about to do a backflip, like he had done thousands of times before, he slipped and fell flat on his back. It had knocked the air out of him and he lay there, panting like a dying fish on dry land. It took awhile for the rest to register that Nick was still laying on his back, and normally one of them would have rushed to his aid, but today they were all too busy to cope, trying hard to stay on their own feet.

Howie, who was sick as a dog throwing up backstage, was the one that saw that Nick wasnīt getting back on his feet in the same pace as he usually did. He went over and offered a hand and dragged him up. A frown was etched on the Latino's face and even if he was so sick that he looked like an zombie he still managed to ask how the teen was doing. Regaining his breath, Nick had acted like nothing was wrong. He couldnīt let them know that he was hurt since they were all trying to do their best so this wouldnīt end up becoming the worst preformance in the Backstreet history. It was nearing this state pretty fast!

D' was one of the nicest guys that Nick knew and mentally Nick decided that her wouldnīt tease and play so many pranks on him like he usually did. Howie was an easy target to tease and he had a habit to pick on the Latino in all kinds of situations. Sweet D' often laughed and didnīt seem too effected. But if anyone thought that Howie D' was lame and didnīt have a temper they couldnīt be more mistaken. He was perfectly capeable of telling Nick off when he thought that the teen had crossed the line.

Rubbing his sore back, Nick winced. 'I better go and ask Kev for some pain medictaion tomorrow at breakfast,' he thought as he could have slapped himself for forgetting to bring a package of Tylenols with him on this tour. Since the schedule often messed up his system he was sometimes coming to the point where he was chewing aspirins like they were M&M's just to be able to stand upright.

His sore back had made it impossible to do some dance moves and AJ had afterwards commented that he looked like he had shit his pants. When the show was over Johnny had chewed them out. He said that they sucked worse than a bunch of ladies from an retirement home trying to do jazz dance. He had told them that they better shape up their act and he didnīt buy that kind of nonsense that they were acting so bad because they were feeling sick.

"Okay," he had said, "Three of you are sick, but what excuses do the rest of you have? This is a team and you are suppose to stand up for each other when any of you are feeling bad. This I saw nothing from today. As a matter of fact, you Nick and you AJ sounded worse than the Three Stooges," the manager waved with his hand towards the three miserable Backstreet Boys that sat on the sofa, looking like they were about to fall over any second.

It was more and more clear that Johnny was feeling the pressure from some direction, possibly the Firm and their sponsors. He was having a fit as his hands were tied to his back. The black man didnīt seem to enjoy his new role as Caligula, yet there wasn't much that he could do about it. The firm was in his hair and they were tightening the grip for some unknown reason.

After Johnny had chewed AJ and Nick out, the skinny man clamped shut. No attempts to get Bone in a better mood worked. Nick had tried his tricks, but the look he received from AJ said that he better shut up or he would end up in the ER with his face re-arranged. Alexander was not an violent man, but the teen had a habit to test his temper in a bad way.

As soon as they had gone back to the hotel, Kevin, Brian and Howie went straight to their shared room, trying to cure the illness so they would be fit for fight until the upcoming day. The schedule was hectic and early in the morning they would go to the next city and there awaited lots of interveiws, a meet and greet and one more concert. Nick had long forgotten where they were and all German cities looked about the same. He was actually grateful that he hadnīt screwed up and said "Hello England" or something like that to the people in Germany. They would soon be leaving for Austria and Switzerland. Brian had asked if Nick wanted to come into the sick abyss and watch a movie with them, but he had declined. It didnīt sound too tempting and somehow he convinced himself that he could do without watching the guys expelling all kinds of nasty human substances.

Instead he took the bull by the horns and went into the hotel room that he and AJ shared for the time being. The earier threats that AJ would kick his ass if Johnny locked him out off calling Amanda, hung heavily in the air. Bone wasnīt nasty, but he wasnīt overly nice either.

Nick threw himself on the bed and the turned on the Mtv. His back hurt from his earlier mishap, yet he didnīt want to say this to anyone, mainly because they were too busy attending to their own desmises. AJ didnīt seem that interested either. As a matter of fact he more or less treated Nick like he was thin air.

If it was something Nick disliked it was when they were acting like he didnīt exist. He would rather be the victim of a good beating up, than getting fully ignored. All attempts to make a conversation with AJ was futile and the man was giving him the cold shoulder, making him feel left out.

"Iīm going clubbing with Ritch and Bob and some other guys," AJ announced as he came out from the bathroom, having changed to a more outgoing look.

"Now?" Nick looked surprised, "I mean it is almost midnight and you know we have to get up early tomorrow and.." He didnīt have a chance to finish his sentence before AJ cut him off.

28 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 28

As much as Nick hated to admit it, he was enjoying the fact that the focus of nit-picking from Johnny had been temporarily turned from him onto AJ. He did his best to protect him from the wrath, but the 8am breakfast call wasn’t long enough for any human being to sober up, AJ McLean included.

Trying his best to stall the bus trip to the next town for a few hours, Nick begged the manager that they needed a little more time to gather some things but Johnny responded with an icy no-can-do and told the boys to pack their gear and be ready in twenty minutes after breakfast. Nick tried lying to the man, telling him that AJ seemed to have caught the ‘Backstreet Flu Bug’, but Johnny only laughed and stated that the ‘brown bottle flu’ wasn’t a good reason to delay their trip.

Sighing as he slipped another CD into the walkman, Nick wondered how much longer they would be stuck on the bus. AJ had been leaning against him ten minutes into the ride and Nick could have sworn that the alcohol was emanating from the man’s pores.

As grumpy as AJ was from the hangover he was nursing, he did manage to thank Nick for helping him out but added that “Johnny was being an ass and wanted to punch his face in.”

Nick’s only reply to that was, “Now you know how I feel, it’s not fun being picked on, is it?”

Looking around the bus, Nick noticed that he was the only person that seemed to be awake besides the bus driver. Kevin was laying back, seat reclined, his arms crossed lightly over his chest, an ever familiar novel laying in his lap. Howie occupied the seat next to Kevin, box of tissues setting next to him, a used pile of Kleenex overflowed in a small paper sack. His head was resting on Kevin’s shoulder as he slept.

A bump in the road caused Howie’s head to roll off of Kevin’s shoulder, a big wet mark remained where his face had been. Nick couldn’t help but smile when he realized that Howie had been drooling in his sleep.

Kevin would be pissed if he knew!

Brian has long since retreated to the back of the bus and his bunk. Nick suddenly wished he was laying down too. The pain in his back from the stunt he had failed at during the concert the other night still hadn’t gone away it seemed to have gotten worse as time went on. He shied away from asking Kevin for pain meds. He didn’t want to make a big deal out of it and had hoped it would go away on it’s own.

The bus rolled to a stop and Nick looked out at the hotel through the tinted bus windows.

New hotel, new city, no clue where he was again.

The one thing that wasn’t any different from the last stop was the cluster of hormonal teenage girls standing by the entrance. Signs written in a language Nick couldn’t speak, let alone read were held aloft, bobbing up and down. The coughing from the front of the bus snatched Nick from his gaze and when he caught the site of Johnny, his mouth dropped open.

The tall man seemed to be ill, his eyes glazed with a certain fever and he was mopping his face with a damp handerchief. He had been caught in the snares of the Backstreet Flu. In between coughs, Johnny stated quickly that the boys would have to get their room assignments at the front desk - he was too sick to go in through the crowd of girls to get to the entrance and they would have to fend for themselves.

Nick rolled his eyes at the statement Johnny had uttered. Seemed when Johnny got sick, the world came to an end and he wouldn’t lift a finger to do his normal tasks.

“Judging by the crowd that has gathered, someone tipped these teenies off to where you were staying, so I suggest that you run and run quick since detail isn’t riding on this bus and they had engine trouble and won’t be arriving for awhile,” Johnny advised, coughing harshly at the end of the sentence.

Lifting his head gingerly, AJ lowered his shades and squinted at the image on the other side of the bus windows. Upon seeing the group of teens standing by the entrance, he whispered, “Holy fuck.”

“Yeah, tell me about it,” Nick sighed.

Sliding the glasses back into place, AJ moaned as he stood up. “I love my job.”

“That didn’t sound too convincing,” Nick grinned.

“Wasn’t suppose to be.”

Brian, Kevin and Howie grouped together and sprinted from the bus through the disappointed fans to the lobby entrance. AJ rubbed his temples hearing the screams filtering into the bus when the door opened.

“Just what I needed today,” he mumbled. “You running with me?”

As he started to stand, pain shot through his back and he quickly sank down into his seat, pretending to be preoccupied with his backpack. “Nah, I’ve got to collect my games, go on, I’ll be right behind you.”

Nick watched as AJ ran from the sea of ravenous fans. The girls looked pretty excited and he was praying that some miracle would happen with his body guard showing up at the last moment.

He knew it was now or never as he looked at the group that had now faced the bus, no doubt waiting for the last Backstreet Boy to show his face. Nick felt like this was akin to a ‘showdown, like the last stand at the O.K. Corral.’ Taking a breath in, he slowly stood up, letting out a quick gasp when his change in positions created another searing pain in his lower back.

Placing a hand over the painful area, he discovered that if he hunched over as opposed to standing straight, the pain lessened. He knew there would be no way he could run so dragging his backpack, he pasted a smile with gritted teeth and entered the den of wolves.

”ICH LIEBE DICH NICK!”

”HEIRATEN SIE MICH!”

Moving as fast as his body would allow, Nick smiled through his pain, tears forming in his eyes. The girls were like pirhana, circling it’s bloody prey, waiting to strike. Nick could actually sense it, and the hair stood up on the back of his neck.

‘Shit,’ he groaned inwardly as the girls started pressing him, pushing him where he didn’t want to go. He was caught up in the throngs of a panicked crowd. His feet didn’t obey his commands and he was being carried away further and further from the entrance and more towards the side of the bus.

In a sudden change of actions, a sea of hands came at him from all different angles, grabbing, pulling at his hair and his clothes. One girl yanked his coveted backpack from his grasp and squealed with obvious delight in stealing her prize.

Nick could hear the hair being pulled from his scalp and cried out praying that they would stop. As his tee shirt was being ripped from his body, he yelped an animalistic cry, but the frenzie didn’t stop.

Standing at the check in counter, waiting for his room card, Kevin could hear the boisterous crowd outside the hotel. He smirked thinking that Nick was playing to the fans. His grin faded when he saw the look that was pasted on the woman and man’s face behind the desk. His eyes darted from each face and slowly turned to see what they were upset over.

Dropping the card on the counter, Kevin started off towards the front door, stopping in mid step. “Shit, I can’t go out there,” he grumbled, frustration in his voice. He quickly turned back towards the front desk. “Is there security?”

Stunned at the scene that was happening outside her hotel, the woman stood frozen.

”WE NEED SECURITY OR THE POLICE OR SOMETHING!” Kevin boomed, snapping the woman out of her trance.

She quickly picked up a phone and barked something into the receiver, urgency was definately conveyed in her voice.

“Please stop!” Nick whimpered.

One girl managed to put her arms around him, locking him in the tightest hug he had ever endured. No one seemed to realize how scared Nick was, they were playing with him, like a cat playing with a mouse before the kill.

Helplessly, Kevin stood at the windows along with Brian, watching Nick getting pressed against the tour bus. As he attempted to go out to help his little brother, Brian pulled him back.

“Don’t you’ll only add to this, help is coming,” he reassured.

“What the hell is taking so long?” Kevin demanded, wringing his hands as he watched Nick’s wild eyes.

“Look!” Brian pointed, relief evident in his voice.

The police didn’t seem too kind to the young girls, pushing them aside like they were rag dolls as they headed towards the trapped young man, pressed against the bus. When they finally reached Nick, he was scratched, bleeding and his shirt was ripped to shreds. He was shivering but it wasn’t from the cool air, it was from the adrenaline flowing through his veins.

One of the police officers wrapped a fatherly arm around the young man’s shoulders as he guided him towards the hotel entrance. A young girl stepped in front of the path, holding up Nick’s backpack.

“I got this back for you,” she stated in a soft voice.

Nick reached out hesitantly for the bag, not ready to trust anyone at the moment, fearful that she would grab his wrist and pull him into her.

“It’s okay, I just want to give this back to you. I-I didn’t steal it from you,” she stammered.

Accepting his bag from the girl, he managed to whisper a quick “thanks.”

Nick didn’t feel safe until they crested the threshold of the hotel entrance and he was quickly pulled into a warm hug by Kevin and Brian. He collapsed into their arms, sobbing.

“That motherfucker,” Kevin growled as he thought about how Johnny was too lazy to ensure their safety.

Brian’s eyes locked onto Kevin’s and although no words were spoken, Kevin knew that Brian was in agreement with Johnny’s lack of judgement in placing the boys at a high risk situation. Their displeasure of the situation intensified when Johnny sauntered into the lobby, dragging his plaid carryon bag by the handle.

Kevin rushed over to the manager, restraining himself from punching the man in the face. “You sonofabitch! What the hell were you thinking!” he demanded as he approached Johnny.

“Richardson, I’m sick, I’m tired, can we talk about this later?”

Kevin narrowed his eyes at the sickly figure standing hunched over as he leaned against the counter. “No, this can’t wait! I want answers!”

Johnny looked up at Kevin’s face. “Answers to what? You aren’t happy with the room assignments?”

Kevin slammed his fist onto the counter, causing the people standing behind it to jump and turn their attention in Kevin’s direction. “Goddamn it! You know exactly what I’m talking about!”

Johnny pulled a white handkerchief from his back pocket and wiped his nose. “Oh you mean Carter’s incident with the admiring fans?”

Kevin glared at the man. “How the fuck can you just stand there and act like it’s nothing? Nick could have been crushed! He was in danger and it’s all because you were too goddamn lazy to do your fucking job!”

Johnny chuckled sarcastically. “You seem to think my job is a bed of roses, don’t you? You have no idea, do you?” Johnny challenged. “I have spent the last year taking care of your snotty spoiled asses and I think you’re blowing this all out of proportion! Grow up Richardson!”

Kevin grabbed the managers shirt and pulled him into his face. “Listen you asshole, this isn’t far from over! Mark my words, this isn’t over yet!”

When Kevin released Johnny from his grasp, the dark man smoothed the wrinkles from his shirt and rolled his eyes at the hotel employees behind the counter. “Pop Stars!”

“Nick, Brian’s got his card, we’ll worry about registering you later, you’re bunking with him anyway, let’s get you to your room, okay?” Kevin urged, his voice tinged with anger from what had just gone on with Johnny.

Nick sighed shakily, tears slipping down his cheeks. He was ashamed that he was crying, but he couldn’t help it. What happened out there five minutes ago scared him. He was crying from the emotional stress of the situation as well as from the pain in his back that seemed to have intensified from being slammed against the bus by the crowd.

“Led me take dat,” Brian offered as he gently reached for Nick’s backpack.

Kevin noticed Nick’s hunched posture. “Are you okay?”

Nick shook his head no, but uttered the words, “yes.”

Worried, Kevin started firing the questions as they walked towards the elevator. “What’s wrong? Do you need to be checked out? Are you hurt?”

“Just get me to my room so I can lay down,” Nick mumbled.

*~*~*~*~*

“Nick, are you sure you’re feeling okay? This is like the fourteenth trip to the bathroom in about an hour,” Brian questioned as he watched Nick slowly walk back to his bed.

“How come you’re not stuffed up?” Nick asked, trying to change the subject.

Brian gave Nick a lopsided grin. “That’s because I just blew my nose.”

“Keep it up, it works for you,” he joked.

Brian watched as Nick slowly laid his body back onto the bed. He could see the pain etched in his young friend’s face. “Nick something seems seriously wrong, are you sure you’re okay?”

Nick waved Brian’s concerns off. “You worry too much. Nothing that a few pain killers won’t cure. In fact” Nick started out saying as he gingerly raised his body from the bed. “I better take some more.”

“I think we should see about getting you checked out,” Brian pressed.

“Hey, I got slammed against the damn bus by a bunch of girls, like that’s never happened before. I’m just a little sore, alright? Just drop it, I’ll be fine,” Nick insisted.

Brian ran his hands through his hair. “God, you’re gonna kill me, ya know that Kaos?”

Shutting the bathroom door behind him, Nick opened the small bag where he stowed some of Kevin’s pain meds he had accepted from him after they got to their rooms. Grabbing a glass, he started to fill it with tap water but stopped, remembering that bad incident one time after drinking water accidently from Spain.

Glancing at the toilet, Nick decided although he had just been there, he had better make good use of it right now before he laid down again. It hurt when he emptied his bladder, but he was assuming it was from all the pushing and shoving he had endured hours earlier. His back still hurt, and Nick knew that was from the stunt he had tried at the concert the night before.

As he relieved himself, Nick looked at the walls, the ceiling, the shower stall; everyplace but where he was doing his business. When he started to slide his sweatpants back up, he glanced down into the toilet and narrowed his eyes, doing a double take. He could have sworn that the urine looked reddish.

“It has to be this funky water,” Nick decided as he flushed the toilet, dismissing the evidence.

Hobbling back into the room, he opened the stocked fridge and pulled out a bottle of water. With one quick sweep, he uncapped the bottle and shoved the pills into his mouth, swallowing a generous gulp of the cool water, all the while, Brian kept him under his watchful eye.

Settling slowly back onto the bed, Nick groaned. Feeling Brian’s gaze, he sighed. “I said I’d be fine.”

“I knobe,” Brian sniffed.

“Blow your nose,” Nick directed.

“Hey Bri?”

“Yeah?”

“I was talking to one of my friends the other day, and he was telling me that he was passing blood in his urine, how would he know that, I mean do you know what that looks like?”

“A friend?” Brian asked suspiciously.

“Yeah, one of my friends from home,” Nick defended. “Oh just skip it. Forget I even said anything.”

“Nick are you peeing blood?”

“Just drop it, it’s not me I told you it’s Angel--”

“I thought you said it was a friend,” Brian interrupted.

“Well yeah, um, hell just forget I brought it up, okay?”

“Nick, if this is about you, we need to get you to a doctor, this is something serious and you shouldn’t mess around with it!”

Nick staged a fake, overexaggerated yawn. “I’m gonna take a nap, wake me up in a couple of hours, okay?”

“God Nick, you’re gonna drive me crazy,” Brian sighed.

“Stop being a worrywart, you seriously are pissing me off,” Nick snapped, turning his back to his brother.

“I am so gonna be watching you Nickolas,” Brian mumbled as he stared at Nick’s back.

29 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 29Perfection - Chapter 29

“I can’t believe that after what happened earlier to Nick that Johnny is still making him do this,” Kevin sputtered, glancing over towards the napping Nick Carter. Safe in his dreams.

“That man has no heart whatsoever,” Brian agreed.

“We don’t have a choice but to wake the poor kid up I guess,” Kevin sighed.

“I’ll do it, you go make sure AJ and Howie are getting ready, I can handle Nicky,” Brian offered.

Shrugging his shoulders, Kevin turned and left the room, tossing a quick, “Good luck,” as he closed the door.

Brian stared at his young friend for a few moments before making a move to snatch away the peaceful dreams that Nick seemed to be having. It looked like a film of sweat covered the boy’s flushed face but Brian quickly dismissed that as the probabilty of the layers of blankets that Nick had heaped across his body.

Gently rubbing Nick’s shoulder, Brian cleared his hoarse voice. ‘Nick? Nick buddy, time to wake up.”

“Mom, can I stay home today? I don’t feel good,” Nick sleepily begged, eyes still closed.

Brian grinned. Nick called him Mom.

“Nick, it’s Brian, you have to get up, we have a meet and greet in an hour.”

Nick’s lids fluttered open, his bloodshot blue eyes searched Brian’s face, seeming to try to figure out what was happening.

“Nick, we’re in Germany,” Brian explained. He could tell that Nick’s fogged up mind still wasn’t comprehending the words. “We’re on tour, remember?”

“Fuck,” Nick groaned. “Why do we have to do this? I seriously don’t feel so hot.”

Brian shook his head. “You know Johnny, he’s very strict with the schedule. You better go grab a shower.”

Sighing, Nick slowly dragged his body from the warm bed. The slight headache he had told him that he more than likely was running a temp and Nick wondered if he was going to be struck with the flu bug like the rest of them.

The bathroom lights hurt his eyes as he flipped them on. He turned on the shower, adjusting the temperature and after he slipped out of his sweaty clothes and faced the toilet.

Biting his lower lip, Nick tried not to cry out as he emptied his bladder. This time he watched and this time there was no mistaking that the urine was in fact blood tinged. Instead of heeding the warnings of what could be happening, Nick mentally decided that he wasn’t drinking enough fluids.

Gingerly stepping into the warm water, Nick let the water rinse over his aching back, closing his eyes as the warmth relaxed his body. Brian’s yelling on the other side of the door dragged Nick from his daze.

“Hey! You better step on it, we have to meet up in the lobby in less than ten minutes and Johnny will have our butts in a sling if we’re late!”

“Yeah,” Nick snapped and quickly lathered his body and then shampooed his hair. Stepping out of the shower, he towled himself off and then wrapped the white towel around his waist. Wiping the steam off the mirror, Nick stared at his reflection for a moment in the mirror. After sticking his tongue out in disgust, he pulled his shaving kit out and unearthed his toothbrush and toothpaste.

“I’ll lay your stuff out for you so you can just get dress,” Brian offered.

Rolling his eyes, Nick groaned. “I’m not a baby, I think I can dress myself!”

“I know, I just wanted to help you out, I can tell you’re pretty sore from earlier.”

Before leaving the privacy of the bathroom, he dragged a comb through his hair and tried to get it to look halfway decent. Taking a breath in, he unlocked the door and slowly walked out.

“I’m not wearing that,” Nick protested, pointing at the pair of jeans and shirt that Brian had laid out on the bed for him.

“God, why not?”

“Because.”

“Nick quit acting like a two year old,” Brian snapped, folding his arms defensively across his chest. He watched as Nick headed for his back and couldn’t help but notice that his stomach was looking a little bigger. He was definately getting heavier - just like Johnny had remarked about a few days ago.

Nick pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a different tee shirt. “I’m wearing this!”

“Sweats to a meet and greet?”

“Yes I am.”

“Could it be that maybe you can’t fit into your jeans anymore?” Brian instantly regretted his words when he saw the hurt look in Nick’s eyes.

“NO. I’m wearing them because I’m sore from being shoved into the bus,” Nick lied. Part of his reason was true, he was sore and if he wore the jeans that had now started to become too snug to button, it would put more pressure on his back. Nick decided to play out his discomfort on being jerked around by the excited fans. “Those girls were rough on my back.”

“I’m not gonna stick up for you when Johnny yells about what you’re wearing, okay?”

“I wasn’t expecting you to,” Nick huffed. He slowly raised a leg to step into a pair of boxers and let out a small whimper.

“Let me help you,” Brian offered as he rushed up towards Nick.

Nick brushed him off. “I think I can do this, do you know how gay this would look with you holding onto my underwear while I stepped into them?”

“Nick, quit being so stubborn, no one is gonna see this,” Brian insisted, snatching the boxers from Nick’s hands.

Reluctanly, Nick accepted the help from his older brother and slowly stepped into the boxers releasing his grip from the white towel once the boxers had gone up to his knees.

“I think I can manage the sweats and the shirt,” Nick remarked as he slowly ambled towards the bed with the clothing tucked under his arm.

Brian could only shake his head as he watched Nick painfully walk towards the bed. “You really should get checked out. You could have hurt something.” Getting met by a dark look from Nick, Brian added, “Maybe not.”

*~*~*~*~*

“Carter, you look like a piece of shit!” Johnny snapped as he glared at the youngest Backstreet Boy. “It’s a meet and greet, not a hoe down. Why the hell are you wearing sweatpants?”

“Johnny, ease up on the kid, he’s been through hell,” Kevin snapped, glaring at him with watery eyes.

“You look like shit too,” Johnny added, stopping to pull out a handkerchief from his pocket. “You infected everyone with this!”

“So what if I did? Can’t take being sick?”

“What the hell is that suppose to mean?” Johnny spat.

A small smile crept onto Kevin’s lips.

“Look at you! Grinning like a stupid ass, you don’t know what to say back do you?” Johnny mocked.

“Oh, I know what to say, I’m not gonna waste my breath saying it,” Kevin replied before his body was attacked with another bout of coughing.

“Johdee, leb Nib ablone,” Brian warned.

Johnny rolled his eyes at Brian. “God, you sound like shit!”

“Nobe shit,” Brian quipped.

“God all of you are diseased except for fatass Carter here. His only ailment is that he’s a pussy and fat,” Johnny smirked and then started a sneezing fit.

Brian smiled watching Johnny sneezing eight times in a row, gasping for breath after the fourth sneeze. “God is good.”

Nick never uttered a word, he just wanted to be left alone and he knew that if he said anything to defend himself, Johnny would only attack him further. His words hurt him but he didn’t respond to the verbal attack by his manager.

“Okay ladies, you know where you have to sit, go over there and play to the adoring crowd of your faithful fans and make some money,” Johnny directed, gesturing with his head. “Oh, and McLean, try to keep your bodily functions to yourself you sick bastard.”

Lowering his shades slightly, AJ managed to cast a glare at the man and held up his middle finger with defiance. He knew Johnny was referring to the fact that his body was betraying him right now with the hangover mixed with the flu that was creeping up into his system. The van ride was anything but spring air fresh. He would have responded to Johnny’s comments, but his throat was bothering him and AJ knew he had to keep as quiet as possible to reserve what little voice he had left for tonight’s concert - if there would be one!

Howie and AJ made their way to the long table and sat in their assigned seats next to each other. Kevin sat in the middle of the group as always, with Brian next to Kevin and Nick at the very end.

Nick was grateful that his seat was at the end of the table nearest the exit. His sore back and bladder had caused him to have more frequent trips to the restroom and with his own diagnosis and prescription of drinking more fluids, he knew he would be in for several trips to use the facilities.

“Nicky, can I trade seats with you?” AJ whispered, his voice barely audible.

Setting his bottled water down Nick shook his head negatively. “No, I need to be close to the bathroom.”

AJ fidgeted in his chair. “Well, I need it more than you. I’ve got the shits.”

“Then you better not fart,” Nick advised, ignoring the pleading brown eyes.

“Okay, I’m going to let them open the doors,” Johnny announced as his eyes swept over the pale, sickly group. “God, you all look like shit! Sharpen up! We don’t need to have them think you’re on your deathbeds.”

“Like we can control this,” Howie mumbled. AJ and Kevin nodded in agreement.

“Yeah,” Brian remarked softly. “I’d like to be home in my bed right now, buried under the thick comforter, shades drawn--”

“Showtime guys,” Kevin interrupted Brian’s thoughts.

AJ winced when the talkative crowd rushed into the conference room. He rubbed his temples trying to settle the headache that made it’s home in the front of his skull and intensified as minutes passed. Howie noticed his movements and leaned over.

“Are you gonna be okay?”

AJ’s only reply was a quick shrug of his shoulders.

The only good thing about the meet and greet, Kevin decided, was that they would be too preoccupied with the repetitive signing of their names to dwell on their ailments for the moment. Pasting a smile on his face, Kevin accepted a CD from a young girl and quickly scrawled “Kevin Richardson.” across the front.

After about the tenth autograph, Nick’s back starting hurting again and he felt the urgent need to not only stand up but to use the facilities. Slowly, he stood up, resting the palms of his hands on the table for support. He caught Brian’s concerned gaze and quickly told him that he was fine, just a little sore from sitting.

Johnny’s look was anything but concerned. He glared and as the saying goes if looks could kill, Nick would have been dead. He quickly looked away from the manager’s threatening glare, pasting a pained smile on his face.

As he signed another autograph, a sharp pain raced through his back causing him to accidentally drop the black felt marker. Brian heard Nick gasp and quickly stood up.

“Nick?”

Embarrassed by being the sudden focus of attention coupled with the fact that the pain was making it difficult for him to stand straight, Nick managed to reach out and brush Brian’s helping hand aside. Without saying anything, Nick walked past the fan holding out the dropped marker and slowly attempted to walk towards the exit only to have Johnny stand between him and the door.

”Sit back down!” Johnny ordered in a harsh whisper.

“I-I have t-to use th-the bathroom,” Nick stammered.

”It can wait!”

Nick furiously blinked his eyes, trying to keep the tears at bay. “I-I c-can’t.”

”You can and you will, Carter! Go sit back down!” Johnny barked.

A dark look crossed Nick’s tearfilled eyes. Shaking his head, he took a hand and pushed Johnny aside with all the strength he could muster. ”Carter! Get the hell back here!”

Nick kept on his mission, despite the manager’s yelling. He hoped that relieving his bladder would take the pain away from his back and no one was going to stop him.

Not realizing that all eyes in the conference room was on him, Johnny kept up in his childish behavior yelling and screaming at Nick as he left the room. Although the words were spoken in English, the young fans that stood waiting for autographs clearly understood the manager’s message: he disliked Nick Carter for some reason and he would do his best to punish him and ride on his back.

It wasn’t until the thick blue steel door of the bathroom clanked shut did Nick feel safe from Johnny’s bitter words. Standing at the sink, Nick looked at his pale, sweaty face. If he hadn’t felt so sick at the moment, he would have stuck his tongue out at the pasty image that stared back at him, instead, he turned towards the urinals that lined the wall.

As he started to empty his bladder, the familiar sting in his back and bladder returned, causing Nick to once again bite his lip to prevent from crying out. The one thing that was different this time was the color wasn’t slightly reddish in color.

This time it was pure red.

30 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 30

Staring down in the red colored water Nick's stomach churned. Blood! He was peeing blood! Thoughts swirled around in his head in the same speed as the toilet bowl flushed, hiding all evidence that something was seriously wrong with his health. Even though he had no medical knowledge, a small voice whispered in the back of his head that peeing blood was not something to take easily upon.

The pain that had burned in his back was gone after he had managed to empty his bladder and he made up his mind to go outside to the awaiting crowd. Hundreds of fans had come to meet them and within a few hours he was due to preform infront of more than 10 000 people! Since he was the only one in the group that escaped being a victim to the dreaded bug that was hitting people faster than the Spanish flu, he was the only one that was well enough to lead the group.

Carrying this heavy burden on his shoulders there wasn't a chance that he could let the rest of the group down by telling them that he was injured. His own ailments had to wait.

When he was done he walked over to the sink and turned on the tap. Rinsing his face he felt a bit refreshed, yet when he looked back in the mirror a ghostly pale face stared back at him. Out of nowhere he was struck by a sharp pain in his back which sent him hunched down. "Shit," he groaned as he tried to regain his posture again. Suddenly the door opened and in ran AJ, looking like his pants were on fire, which wasnīt far from the truth judging from the distress the singer was in.

"Bone!" he called out, yet the rebel didnīt listen and he ran towards an open stall, slamming the door hard behind him in the process. Nick grinned. It was clear that the rebel was in too much distress to be sidetracked.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and the minute he set his foot outside, Johnny grabbed his arm, growling. "Where the hell have you been? Do you think that this is a recreational trip?"

"Eh..uh..It..it couldnīt wa..wait," Nick stuttered, blushing, as he was rougly shoved towards the table. The rest of the group minus AJ signed autographs and greeted fans.

"They have been waiting for you for a long time so you better straighten up your act!" Johnny was nagging at him all the way to the table. One woman looked at him strangely as the manager passed her. She had a displeased frown on his forehead. Instantly he straightened up and patted Nick soothingly on his shoulder as he smiled towards her, "Sorry..you know kids." The smile was not returned back.

Pulling his chair back Nick sat down. He made a face as his sore back hit the hard plastic seat, Seeing this Brian glared at him, mouthing, "You okay?"

Avoiding his friends eyes he set his attention towards a girl in a ponytail who handed him a piece of paper to sign. She was shaking from nervousness and Nick took her hand in an comforting gesture. "Whats your name?" he asked as he scribbled down his name on the paper.

"Lottie," she squeaked and he smiled warmly at her.

"Lottie, what a nice name." He handed her the autograph.

"Thanks!" She let out a shrill cry as she ran away, looking very very happy. Nick laughed. He had at least made one girl to feel like she was in heaven.

"Can I have a hug?" another girl asked bravely.

"Yeah sure." He gave her a quick hug and as he was about to sit down again another girl yelled, "Niiiccckkk, meeeee toooooo pleeeaaaaaseeeeee!!"

"Aha." He continued to give out hugs even tough his back felt like it was on fire and his stomach felt heavy and strange. Ignoring his pain and aches he smiled widely. All for the fans!

Wincing he sat down, a small groan escaped his lips. Hearing this Brian, who leaned over towards him, whispering, "Dude! Are you alright?"

Nodding, Nick avoided his eyes and reached out to grab the poster that one girl wanted him to sign. He smiled to her, but the smile did not reach his eyes. Noticing this Brian whispered, holding cupping the side of his mouth with one hand so that no one could hear what he was talking about, "Youīre not fooling me Frack. Iīm telling Johnny that you need to be examined by a doctor."

A bit annoyed Nick whispered back, "No! Iīm fine." Going to see a doctor was not something that he was incline to do. He knew that if anyone with medical expertise found out that he as peeing blood he would be in for a real treat. Judging from the bad luck that he often had he would probably be bedridden in a hospital for several days. Being in Europe away from his family was bad, but staying alone in a German hospital was worse.

Brian raised his eyebrows, "Frack?"

Completley ignoring Brian, the eigteen year old gave all his attention to the blonde girl with braces. She told him that he was the cutest guy in the world and even if he had heard it thousands of times it still made him blush and feel insecure.

In the corner of his eye Nick spotted that Brian had got the undivided attention from some fans. This meant that he couldnīt keep his eye on him any longer and Nick could breathe from relief. It wasnīt that he didnīt want Brian to care, no it was more that he was afraid that he would break down if someone showed him too much attention. The pain made him feel weak and sick and this often led him to feeling homesick which in turn led him to be like a cry baby. And that was not a thing that he wanted to happen.

Glancing at the empty seat beside him he saw that AJ hadnīt returned yet. The bug must have had him in a tight grip since the rebel had been gone quite a while. Just as he was about to ask Johnny how Bone was doing the boy in question came back from the restrooms. He walked in a hunched over position and the sickly pale color around his gills revealed that he was feeling anything but good. Nick felt sorry for his friend.

"How youīre doin' bro?" he whispered as he leaned over to AJ.

"Shitty!" AJ wheezed, barely no voice, as he smiled paley towards two girls that were giggling. Picking up a pen he wrote his name as he chatted to the girls. There was no way that anyone could tell that the five boys were as sick as dogs. They were all chatting and doing their best to please the fans even if they were feeling very bad. The Backstreet smile plastered on their faces.

Nick never thought time would end and he felt nothing but relief as Johnny finally announced to the screaming fans that it was time for them to pack up and leave. There was groans of disappointment as the manager fell the unwanted comments. The hours dragged along and Nick felt relieved when Johnny finally announced that it was time for them to leave the place. There were a desperate need for a bathroom break. As soon as they had left the meet and greet, Nick set his pace towards the restrooms again.

"Where do you think youīre going Carter?" Johnny wheezed as he saw the blonde walk towards the door with the famous stick figured sign.

"I gotta go," he explained as lightly as he could. His back ached something fierceful and his bladder was dying for a release. There were no chance that his manager could stop him in his desperate need.

"Again? You pee more than a pregnant woman," Johnny muttered as Nick slunk into the restroom, closing the door behind him with a thud. He wasnīt alone in the room and before he could blink, AJ came out from a stall.

"You have the shits too?"

"No!" Nick rushed past him as he gave his grinning friend the finger. Seconds later the door slammed shut inches in front of his friends face.

"Is this gonna get bad, like should i put my shirt over my face?" AJ laughed as he went over to the sink to wash his hands. "Can I still breathe?"

"Shut the fuck up," Nick growled inside from the stall. He wished desperately that Bone would go away. It was bad enough that he had to face yet another painful trip to the bathroom, he didnīt need to have AJ standing outside listening too.

Standing there, waiting for AJ to leave the room, he felt coldsweat break out on his forehead. His stomach was cramping too and for a moment he feared that he would get sick. 'Beautiful,' Nick thought miserably. That was all he needed, his stomach rebelling too. To his relief the nausea passed away as quickly as it came, replaced with a burning feeling in his bladder.

When he was sure that he was left alone he finally let go. Closing his eyes hard, he didnt dare to look, afraid that the urine in the bowl would be colored again. The sharp pain that he felt in his back intensified and he knew that he didn't have to look. He just knew that the water would be red!

A small cry escaped his lips as a sudden pain struck him in his lower stomach when he was done. Bending over he shielded his midsection.

"Nick?"

Shit! AJ was still there?

"What?" He tried to make his voice as casual as possible so that his friend wouldnīt hear that something was wrong with him.

"Did the zipper get stuck on your dick or what?" A hoarse laugh was heard.

Biting his lip he forced himself not to let out another cry. 'You can do this, come on!' he mentally said over and over again.

Upon hearing no sneer comments back there was a knock on the door, "Dude youīre ok?" AJ sounded concerned.

"Ye..yes," Nick did his best to steady his voice even if the searing pain made it hard to breathe. He leaned against the tiled wall, regaining his posture.

"You sure man? You donīt sound too good." Another knock on the door. "You want me to get Bīrok?"

B'rok? What could he do about this? "Rok? What do you want him to do? Wipe my ass?" Nick sneered through gritted teeth.

A laugh was heard. "Now I know that youīre fine. Well Nicky Iīm getting out. Come to the bus when youīre done jerking off."

"Bite me!"

"Not right now, Iīm not a stud like you."

"Eat me!"

"No thank ýou. I think Iīll pass." AJ laughed before he started to cough really hard, muttering, "Man this sucks." After the worst of coughing bouth was over he said, "You sure that youīre fine?"

"Get out!!" Nick yelled as he did his best not to groan again. The pain was still there, just not as intense as before.

"Relax man, Iīm on my way. Donīt stay too long. Johnny will be pissed." With those words AJ left the facilities.

Wiping the sweat off his forehead Nick felt like crap. The pain in his back was bad and dizziness swept over him in waves. Looking down in the bowl he noticed that he was still pissing blood. "Fuck," flushing the evidence away. He had to ask someone about this condition. Asking Brian one more time would be too suspecious, so he opted to talk to Kevin. After all the tall man had been a football player and had to have at least one kick to his balls during his sportive years. Kevin was also the one that Nick often turned to when he needed to ask something serious.

Stepping outside he noticed another man that was using the urinal. Ignoring him Nick walked up to the sink, turning on the tap. Bending down to wash his face a sudden rush of diziness washed over him. Like a blind man he grabbed the wash basin as white dots appeared infront of his eyes. Nausea made it hard to breathe and his legs felt like jello. For a moment he was sure that he would pass out as cold sweat ran down his forehead and back, and he was grateful that he had the basin to hold on to or there had been no stopping for him to fall flat on his face.

"Dir geht's nicht gut, oder?" The man by the urinal held a hand on his arm, looking at him with concerned brown eyes.

"I..I donīt sp..speak ger..German," Nick stuttered as he slowly started to regain his color back again. Running his hand through his sweaty hair he felt embarrassed.

"Are you sick?" the man asked in broken English, trying to decide what condition the teen standing infront of him was in.

Shaking his head Nick stumbled over his words, "Iīm..Iīm fi..fine."

"You sure? You donīt look well at all." The man let go of his hand. "Maybe you should sit down for a while."

"No I have to go," Nick mumbled as he straightened up, dismissing that he felt like in a few seconds later he would be ready to topple over. "They'll leave me if Iīm not coming."

"Who? Your family?"

"No, my manager." Nick murmured as he walked slowly towards the door, "The group."

The man studied him, "Youīre that teen that is in that famous group right...The American one. Backs..Backside bo.."

"Backstreet Boys," Nick corrected him with a groan, "Yeah."

"You want me to get someone?" The man asked, as the teen in front of him looked like he could do with someone taking care of him, shivering with chills.

"No...no Iīll be okay. I really have to go." Nick said, pressing the door handle. "My group will miss me!" He let out a small grin, "Thanks anyway."

"No problem," the man said, returning the smile back. "You take care."

Nodding, Nick closed the door behind him. He didn't like to be questioned by some stranger, even if the man meant nothing bad. Closing his eyes he breathed a sigh of relief, just to hear Johnny's voice sound through the hallway.

"CARTER! There you are! We have been waiting for you so you better get your fat ass over here NOW!"

31 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 31 "That was one of the worst performances you have EVER done," Johnny scolded the boys in the dressing room, backstage after the show. "You absolutly sucked!" The manager didnīt spare on his words when he told them how useless they were."

Kevin was the first to object. "You knew we weren't feeling well and we all did the best we could."

"Singing the wrong line twice in the same song as well as stumbling looking like a drunk ainīt what I think is doing your best." He was referring to Kevin's performance and the older member looked a bit crossed.

"You canīt expect us to put on a great show when we're running a fever!" Kevin hated when someone told him that he did anything less than perfect, even if he was so sick that he had a hard time standing straight. The flu bug still had him tight in it's grip and he silently wondered when he would get to rest so he could cure this ailment.

The schedule was hectic and Kevin wasnīt the only one exhausted. Brian was suffering from a bad bout of sniffles and both Howie and AJ had an upset stomach. What was wrong with Nick he had no idea but the teen looked pale and drawn where sat on the floor, head leaning on his knees.

AJ had always been Johnny's favorite. The rebel was very sociable and he had a cool atttitude without being stuck up. It also drove the girls crazy and in turn sold many records. And Johnny liked when albums were being sold. He was also very easy going and strived to do his best. A great voice combined with dancing like a pro was not something you saw all the time. It also added up that the twenty year old had dated his youngest daughter way back and he grown to like AJ like his own son. His mother Denise was also a great woman and she usually toured with them. Keeping track on the boys. This tour however she was still in the states since AJīs grandmother was not well. She would join them as soon as she could.

"No Alexander, Iīm no dumbass." Johnny started.

"Really?" The word slipped out of Nick's mouth as he rolled his eyes.

"Nick!" Brian blurted a warning.

Nick shrugged back where he sat as he got a hard glare from the manager.

"I know that most of you have been struck by this bug," a deep cough was heard from the manager, "and you probably feel like crap. Yet that is NO excuse for performing as badly as you all did. Over twenty thousand people had bought a ticket this evening and they all expected you to do your best and not act like a bunch of chickens in a barnyard!" The manager continued to scold them all, telling them that the reviews in the media would be nothing but bad and that they could kiss their sorry asses goodbye if they didn't shape up their acts.

"That is not fair," Brian objected, "We canīt help that we are sick." Howie nodded in agreement as he sipped on hot tea and milk for his sore throat and upset stomach.

"I know," Johnny sighed, "but you Carter?" He turned towards the teen that sat silent on the floor, looking sweaty and gloomy. "What is your damned excuse?"

Nick fidgeted nervously, "What do you mean?" he asked as he looked up at the angry man. His back and stomach hurt and he wanted nothing else than crawl under a blanket and sleep the misery away. He was dying to release his bladder, yet the toilet had been occupied by one of the others on and off during the evening and he had no chance to get there. He was also afraid to pee since his senses told him that there would more blood in the bowl.

"You need to work on those moves Nicky. The way you danced it looked like you crapped your pants!" Johnny sneered as there was a laugh in the group.

"I did NOT!" Nick blushed. He felt humiliated. Could he help that his back and stomach hurt so much that he just wanted to lay down on the floor and pass out? He had done his best, yet it was never good enough for them. Maybe íf he told them the truth about how he hurt his back at yesterdays concert they would be more compassionate with him. Opening his mouth he started to say, "You know yesterday I.."

Not listening the manager went on, "Itīs either that or you are eating way too much candy and you're getting too fat to move that body of yours."

The words burned like cigarette burns. Wiping the tears that were forming in his eyes with the back of his hand, he did his best to keep the posture. Johnny and the guys would not get the opportunity to call him a cry baby.

"And I, who thought that i could trust you to take the lead in this miserable group. I guess I was wrong." Johnny didnīt spare the words as he told the teen how incredibly useless his performance had been. To say that the manager liked Nick would be an false statement. The hyper kid was getting on Johnny's nerves and everytime he didnīt have to deal with the rowdy teen he was happy. At first he had grown found of the kid, mainly because he was the perfect posterboy and that would sell in a business like this. But the kid had turned out to be a handful, being way too emotional and always getting into problems. His wife Donna wasnīt too hot over the kid either and being together for more than five years turned out to be long enough.

"That is enough!" Brian snapped when he thought that the manager had been nagging on his friend too long. "Nick is not well either. He is a bit under the weather too."

"He is? I mean you are? Kevin perked up his head, "What's your problem?"

"Nothing!" Nick snapped, not wanting to let on to how bad he felt. "B'rok is exaggurating as always." There was no need to add more problems to the already pressed situation.

Johnny raised an eyebrow. "Are you getting the flu too?"

"NO!" Nick shook his head, furiously. He hated to lie. Well it wasnīt entirely a lie after all he wasnīt getting the flu. Pissing blood was another matter.

"Donīt lie Nick," Brian didnīt sound too happy at all. Turning to his cousin that was preoccupied with blowing his nose he said, "I think that the fans knicked him in the back since he has been complaining of a backache all evening."

"I have not!" Nick was being stubborn. Too stubborn for his own good.

Kevin frowned, "Nick," he said a mixture between calm and serious, "Does this have something to do with you asking if I ever was kicked in my balls when I played football? Passing blood when I urinated?" Kevin was putting two and two together, staring at the teen he continued, "Because if it does you better tell us since it can be serious and is nothing to play with."

"PASSING BLOOD?" Brian bursted out. "Nick are you peeing blood?"

Five pair of eyes, Johnny included, looked at the teen, expecting him to clarify the comment. He fidgeted nervously. Shit, why did he have to be so stupid that he asked such an wacko question? He wasnīt the sharpest tool in the shed!

Even Johnny seemed concerned.

It was silence in the dressing room, and the situation was so tensed that you could cut it with a knife. Nick wanted nothing more to get out of the situation and it would have been so easy to confess and tell them the truth. That he thought that something might be seriously wrong with him. After all it couldnīt be right to pee red. Not when you where a healthy guy!

"Stop asking those stupid questions," he said a bit annoyed as he stood up. He had to get out of this situation or he would tangle himself up even more. Standing up he noticed that his back hurt so bad and that the ache in his bladder was still there, accompanied with a new burning sensation.

"Where are you going?" Howie asked as he saw his friend get up to leave.

"Why? Are you my mother or something?" Nick sneered. He didnīt want to act so pissy, and he often did that too sweet Howie without knowing why. Usually Howie didnīt care but this time he thought that he saw a new kind of pain in the brown eyes.

"Nick there is no need to be pissed!" Brian sneered back. "All Howie did was to ask a simple question."

"Yes and you still havenīt answered if you are peeing red." Kevin said, not wanting to drop the subject.

"Yes kid. Are you doing that?" The words being uttered from the manager startled them all, and Nick felt even worse for lying to them. Maybe they were right. This was not something that someone should take easy upon.

"Jeeze drop it will you! Iīm just going to the can to take a leak. If someone wants to hold my dick while doing that to make sure that I am not pissing blood they are free to do that!"

"NICK!"

"Jeeze, you donīt have to be that way." Brian sounded hurt. "We're just concerned about you."

"Excuse me, but I think I am entitled to go where ever I want without asking permission to do so. Donīt you think so?" Nick knew that he was acting like an ass, yet he couldnīt stop himself.

"Calm down," Howie reached out his arm to grab the teen.

Nick jerked away, "Donīt," he warned.

"Cool it man," AJ spoke up after being silent for the better part of the time. "Let the dude go if he wants to. Iīm sure that even Kaos canīt be so stupid that he neglect to tell us if he was sick or somethin'." A pair of brown eyes stared sternly into Nick's. "Right Nicky?"

Avoiding the eyes the blonde muttered, "Yeah!" He was both grateful and surprised that Bone was standing up for him. Maybe it was a favor for not ratting on him when he was drunk as a skunk last night.

AJ always seem to amaze him!

"Ok if you say so," Brian sighed tiredly. Turning to Johnny who sat silent, nursing a headache, he asked, "When are we going back to the hotel?"

"Pretty soon, so you better gather up your belongings." The manager watched Nick as he closed the toilet door behind him, "and Kaos donīt be too long since we are leaving soon." There were no snide comments, which had the dark man a bit puzzled. Something was not right with the kid, but he couldnīt pin point what it was. The teen was a whiner when it came to small things, but when there was something serious or he was sick for real the kid had a habit off claming up instead. The way Nick moved had him concerned. It looked like he was in serious pain and he had mentally noted that there were no hyperness or off the wall acting from his part. Maybe it was the kids turn to come up with the flu bug?

That would be "terrific" since they were just in the beginning of the tour and had many concerts to do, lots of traveling and PR performance to appear in. The last thing he needed was another Backstreet Boy to act like he had come down with the plauge.

Inside the small backstage toilet Nick was batteling a war of pain and misery. His back hurt fiercefully and when he released his aching bladder a stinging feeling made it almost unbearable to stand up straight. He bit his lip from crying out loud. One of the guys could hear him and that was not something he wanted to be happening. Cold sweat broke out on his forehead. Noticing that his urine was still red he felt another bout of nausea sweep over him. It happend all so fast as his stomach churned violently, wanting to expell everything he had eaten during the day.

Swallowing hard he tried to stall the vomiting as long as possible so that no one could hear him through paper thin walls. That would just throw them all for a loop. Turning on the watertap he hoped to drown any unwanting sounds and then he crouched down over the bowl, gagging a few times. Nothing happened and the nausea still lingered like a fog. For once he was happy that he had learned to get rid of the ill feeling when he had ate too much and he used the same technique this time.

Closing his eyes he stuck his finger far down his throat. The motion set off a mixture between coughing and gagging.

"Nick are you all right?" There was a light tapping on the door and he could hear his friends concerned voice.

"Yeah Bri, Iīll be out soon." He tried to make his shakey voice to sound as steady as possible.

"Ok, well the bus is here now and we have to get going. You want me to wait for you?"

There were voices heard in the background and Nick was determined to get the nasuea over with didnīt want an audience. This left him saying, "No Iīll be fine. Just go ahead."

"You sure?" There was doubt in his friends voice.

"Yeah, just go!" Nick had to be alone now. His stomach churned violently and he couldnīt wait any longer. When he heard nothing more he quickly stuck his finger down and soon his stomach contracted painfully. He vomited as quietly as he could into the bowl, afraid that someone could hear how ill he felt. Tears dwelled up in his eyes as his stomach contents mixed with the red in the bowl. He was not well at all and he didn't know how long he could keep up this charade before one of the boys dragged his sorry ass to a doctor.

When the nausea and vomiting finally abated, he flushed the toilet quickly. After washing his face he tried to make himself a bit more presentable running a comb through his tousled hair. Usually Nick always took a shower after doing a show, this time they were all too tired to do that and they had decided to do it as soon as they got back to the hotel. Since AJ was nothing but well Johnny had decided that he shoudnīt share room with the teen any longer and this meant that Brian and Nick shared rooms as always and Howie and AJ was the one that got to share bathroom. There were no way that Nick wanted to trade places since AJ would probably rat on him that he had to pee every fifteen minutes.

Opening the door he found that Brian had taken him on his words and that the room was empty. They had all left him.

'Great' he thought miserably. If there was one thing he hated was to be left alone. Especially when he was feeling like crap. He despised the times when they had left him going clubbing. It made him feel so young and vanurable. He knew that he was being childish, after all he was eighteén years old and not some dumb kid. Yet there was no stopping the lonley feeling that he had. For a brief moment the thought struck him that they had all gone back to the hotel and that he was left on his own.

Nick often had nightmares that the guys would leave him and he would be all alone. Crying, needing help. His eyes burned with tears and the pain combined with feeling lonely made him want to lay down on the sofa and sulk. He would have done that if the door hadnīt opened and their tour manager Clark stuck in his head, "Nick are you done?"

He nodded, happy to see that they hadnīt forgotten him.

"Good, well come on then. The guys are waiting in the bus." With a friendly gesture the older man laid an arm around the shivering teen, "Come on letīs go." he said as he guided him towards the corridor.

"Okay." Nick followed without words out to the awaiting crowd, satisfied that they hadnīt left him.

32 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 32

“Nick how many times are you going to the bathroom, are you sick?” Brian mumbled when the bathroom light clicked on.

Swallowing several times to hold the nausea off, Nick moaned. “S-sorry.”

Rolling over onto his side, Brian punched the pillow and laid his head back down. For some reason though, this time he couldn’t fall back to sleep. He laid there listening. He wasn’t sure what he was listening for, he just felt the need to lay perfectly still and listen. His efforts were soon rewarded when a sharp cry echoed in the bathroom.

Jumping up, Brian rushed to the door, twisting the locked knob. “Nick? What’s wrong?”

“N-nothing.”

“You’re lying! Open the door!” After waiting a few moments, Brian realized that Nick wasn’t going to unlock the door. Rummaging through a desk drawer, he cursed that he needed AJ at a time like this. AJ had a knack for picking locks. Tossing the hotel brochures, pads of paper and a Bible aside, Brian found a pen. He recalled AJ using the gold ink part of the inside of a barrel to pick a door open once. After a few tries, Brian was successful and the door clicked open.

Nick was laying on the floor, curled up onto his side, sweat glistening on his face.

Brian reached down and placed a hand on his brother’s forehead. “Nick, you’re burning up. The flu finally reached...” he stopped his words when his eye caught the blood colored urine in the toilet bowl. “Oh my god! You are passing blood. Stay right here!”

Too sick to protest and too weak to care, Nick stayed laying on the cool tile floor. Nausea came back suddenly and Nick slowly crawled to his hands and knees and barely made it in time to the toilet before he got sick.

Minutes had passed by but to Nick it seemed like only seconds when he saw Kevin crouching beside him, his fatherly look studying Nick’s face.

“I saw the blood,” Brian explained when Kevin glanced at the crystal clear water in the toilet. “He must have flushed it when I left to get you.”

“I got sick.”

“And you have a fever, this is something more serious than a flu bug, I’m getting someone to take you to the hospital to get checked out,” Kevin advised.

“Noooo,” Nick weakly protested. “I’m okay.”

Kevin didn’t listen, he ran out of the room to get one of the managers.

“Bri, please you gotta tell them I’m fine,” Nick moaned. He struggled for a moment to get into a standing position only to fail and resigned to sitting with his back leaning against the tub.

“You’re not okay Nick, you can’t even stand up right now. Let’s just get you checked out to make sure everything’s all right,” Brian replied softly.

“God, no, please I don’t wanna go to a German hospital.”

Brian shook his head at Nick’s stalling. “Nickolas you need to be seen by a doctor, this isn’t something to be screwing around with. Besides, hospitals in Germany are the same as hospitals in the states, it’s just the insurance stuff is screwed up.”

Nick stared up at Brian for a moment, digesting what he had said. “You swear?”

Brian made a tracing of a cross on his chest. “Cross my heart, scout’s honor.”

“Nick, you’re not feeling good?”

Both Brian and Nick’s attention was drawn towards the tall manager that stood in the doorway of the bathroom. Although he was dressed in blue jeans and a tee shirt, his hair indicated that Kevin had interrupted him from his sleep.

“He flushed any evidence away, but Brian said he saw the blood this time,” Kevin explained as he followed the manager’s eyes toward the toilet.

Extending his arm out as he neared the teen, Clark told him to take it to help him up. “As a manager, I’m also acting guardian of you and I think it’s necessary to take you to the hospital.”

“But I’m eighteen,” Nick protested, stopping in saying anything further when he was met with Kevin’s disapproving look. “Well, um, can Kev come with me?”

“Kevin is too sick to go anyplace except back to bed,” Clark advised as he pulled a blanket off Nick’s bed.

Still hunched over, Nick accepted the yellow blanket and wrapped it around his body. “How about Brian, can he come with us?”

Looking over towards Brian, Clark ran a hand through his hair. “Do you think it’s really necessary?”

“Please, I-I’d just feel better I guess,” Nick stammered.

“Brian?”

“Yeah, I’ll go along, let me go put on some jeans.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“I told you this wasn’t a good idea,” Nick moaned as he laid on the cot in an examination room in the emergency room. “I feel better, let’s go back to the hotel.”

Before Nick could make good on his words, a slender nurse entered the room. She talked to Nick in German. Nick shook his head. “I don’t speak German.” The nurse said something quickly and left the room.

Nick sighed. “See, I told you this is a bad idea.”

A few moments later a very heavyset nurse entered the room. “Good morning,” she bristled, her voice very thick with a German accent. “My name is Hildegard, I’m Dr. Werner Hollstein’s assistant.”

Nick groaned inwardly.

“So what brings you to the emergency room this morning?”

The nurse stood holding onto a clipboard, pen poised over the sheet of paper, waiting for Nick to outline his symptoms. When Nick stalled, she tapped her pen sharply on the board. “We can’t do anything until you tell us what’s wrong.”

“He’s urinating blood,” Brian offered, quickly shutting up when the nurse cast a glare in his direction.

“I’d prefer to hear this from the patient,” the nurse crisply replied.

“I’ve been peeing blood,” Nick finally admitted after squirming on the cot.

The nurse wrote sharply on the paper. “For how long?”

“Um, I think a day or two.”

Nick kept his eyes focused on the clipboard, trying to block out Brian’s open mouth. He knew if the woman pressed for more information he was going to get a lecture, but right now he didn’t care if he did. He only hid his problems because no one wanted to take the time to hear about them.

“Is there anything that led up to this?”

Nick groaned. Here was the question he didn’t want to answer. “Um, yeah.” His mind was swimming with little white lies he could tell the nurse but he quickly decided against doing that because it could lead to having some tests done that he didn’t want to have or need. “I uh, I did a back flip during a show and I landed wrong and I landed on my back.”

“A show?” the nurse questioned, narrowing her eyes at him. “I didn’t know there was a circus in town.”

Clearing his throat Nick continued. “The the next morning when we arrived at the hotel, I was caught up in a crowd and pushed against the tour bus. I think I was peeing blood before that though, but I guess that’s about it.”

The nurse scribbled notes on the clipboard. “Any nausea, vomiting, fever, pain while urinating?” She looked up from the clipboard, staring at him with steel gray eyes.

“Um, yes.”

The woman narrowed her eyes. “Yes? Yes to what?”

Nick sighed and hung his head. “Yes to all of what you said.”

The nurse placed the clipboard down sharply ontop of the counter, both Brian and Nick winced and jumped when it loudly made contact. After the nurse took all of Nick’s vital signs, she grabbed the clipboard and mumbled something in German before leaving the room.

“Can we just go now?” Nick begged again.

“Nope,” Brian drawled; his southern accent more pronouced because he was tired. “Clark would have my ass if we walked out of here. Just sit tight and get this overwith. Maybe it’s something simple like a bladder infection.”

Nick nodded in agreement. “I hope so. Yeah, it has to be that. Maybe I’m not drinking enough water or something.”

Both boys sat up straighter when the doctor entered the room. Although he was slight in stature, there was something about his presence that seemed commanding. His assistant nurse was behind him, a sour look on her full face.

“So you’ve been having back aches and passing blood when you urinate?” he questioned as he looked down at the notes on the slip of white paper.

“Yes sir,” Nick quietly replied.

Placing the chart on the cot next to Nick, the doctor placed a hand on Nick’s shoulders and sharply tapped the left side of the young man’s kidney area. Nick quickly cried out in pain and hunched over. After going over all his assessments, he barked something in German to the nurse and she quickly picked up the phone and repeated what the doctor had told her.

“We’ll take good care of you,” the doctor smiled.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Laying in the bed, Nick stared at the drops of clear fluid that dripped from an IV bad into the tubing that snaked it’s way down towards a needle that had been inserted into a vein on his hand.

“I told you this wasn’t a good idea.”

Brian shook his head and cocked a grin. “Nick, like it or not, you have to do what the doctor says. It’s a good thing I heard you tonight. I bet you weren’t planning on telling anyone about this, were you?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders in reply.

“Ah ha, see I knew that.”

“I’m just worried about what Johnny’s gonna say,” Nick sighed, laying his free arm across his eyes.

“There’s nothing for Johnny to say. You’ve got a badly bruised kidney, plain and simple and you have to do what the doctor said or you could do more damage.”

“But he’s so anal about schedules and stuff, he’s not gonna give me a red card.”

“When Kevin finds out about this, there won’t be a question about red cards, okay? Trust me on this.”

“Well he said I had to be on complete bed rest for the next three weeks, you know as well as me that Johnny’s not gonna buy that one.”

“Nick, stop worrying, everything’s gonna be alright.”

~*~*~*~*~

”THREE WEEKS!? WHAT KIND OF A QUACK DID YOU TAKE THAT KID TO?” Johnny boomed when Clark and Brian returned from the hospital without Nick.

“He saw a qualified physician,” Clark defended.

Johnny drew a hand through his thick hair, coughing as he paced the floor. He turned to face the two men that brought the bad news. Shaking his head he closed his eyes. “There’s just no way....”

“No way what?” Brian challenged.

“No way we can delay the tour for three weeks,” Johnny sighed. “We’ve got concerts, scheduled events, lunches with sponsors. God, there’s just no way.”

“Hey, we’re talking about Nick’s health here. I would think that some of the fans and sponsors would understand why he’s not in attendance,” Brian stated.

“No you dumb kid, people are expecting five not four Backstreet Boys,” Johnny hissed.

Clark glared at his co-manager. “There’s no need for name calling.”

“Well you heard him, he doesn’t realize that we signed contracts for five boys not four and they’re gonna....” Johnny’s voice trailed off as he flung his hands into the air.

“Well life goes on, they’ll learn to live with it,” Clark snapped.

“We have to be moving on day after tomorrow, I guess there’s nothing I can do about the show tomorrow night since Carter is in the hospital, but by god, his ass is going to be on that friggen bus day after tomorrow, bruised kidneys or not.”

“It’s one kidney that’s bruised,” Brian corrected, “and the doctor said complete bed rest for three weeks.”

“Too bad for Carter,” Johnny hissed. “Day after tomorrow he’s going to be discharged and on this goddamned bus. He can bed rest his ass in his bunk.”

“Bet his parents wouldn’t agree with you,” Brian challenged.

“Littrell, you do so much as dial one number to that boys parents and I’ll personally make sure that’s the last phone call you’ll ever make.

“Don’t be threatening him!” Clark spat.

Johnny threw a nasty glare at both men. “Either one of you meddle with my operation I’ll slap a lawsuit on you so fast your heads will spin. This is my job, my responsiblities and I’ll do what I see fit. The Carters seemed to trust my judgement and I think that you should do the same.”

Turning sharply, he called over his shoulder. “Better get some sleep, busy schedule ahead in about three hours.”

33 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 33

Staring at the walls, all Nick could think of was how bored he was. He had done everything a person could possibly do while laying in the hospital bed from counting the tiles on the ceiling to the number of drips going into the tube from his IV soloution per minute.

The other thing that Nick discovered, was that his appetite had seemed to have perked up since he woke up this morning. It seemed almost impossible to satisfy his hunger and quickly decided it was because he was starting to feel a little bit better and also the fact that he had gotten sick a few times since the bus incident outside of the hotel.

A young woman entered his private hospital room carrying a luncheon tray. Normally Nick would turn his nose up at anything that didn’t come from McDonald’s or Burger King in a foreign country, but he thought that his breakfast was awesome so he was actually looking forward to lunch.

After the girl left the room, Nick anxiously picked up the cover on the large platter. He didn’t recognize the food, but it smelled delicious. Unwrapping the utensils, he plowed his fork into the meat, potatoes and gravy mixture.

Just as he was finishing his cheesecake, Johnny appeared. “How are you feeling?”

“Better,” Nick replied, mouthful of the rich, fluffy mixture.

Johnny started shaking his head in disgust. “My god, you act like you haven’t eaten in months.”

Feeling the heat rise to his cheeks, Nick slowly continued chewing what was in his mouth.

“God, you stuffed your mouth so full you look like a chipmonk storing nuts,” the tall manager pointed out.

“Can’t you get off my back for a change?”

“Carter, at the rate you’re going....” Johnny sighed, “I give up! How many times have you been told to watch what you stuff into that fat face?”

Taking the fork, Nick started playing with the last of the cheesecake on the plate, making grids like a tic tac toe game. Johnny stared at the mess the young singer was creating.

“You should be eating healthy, light foods like tossed salad and yogurt. You keep up at this pace eating a full dinner for lunch, you won’t be able to fit through the door of the tour bus.”

“I can’t help it, I’m hungry, is that so wrong? Besides, I’ve been throwing up lots before I came to the hospital, so this isn’t gonna kill me,” Nick mumbled.

“You’re getting fat, I’ve told you that and you don’t listen. It use to be a cute type of baby fat maybe two years ago, but now, god, it’s just gross!” Johnny snapped. “Lay off the meat and potatoes Carter. I’m serious! And I’m here to take you back to the hotel. I can watch you better there.”

”That’s just about enough!”

Both Nick and Johnny jumped when Nurse Hildegard bellowed as she entered the room. Upon turning and seeing the fat nurse, Johnny narrowed his eyes.

“You need to leave, you’re upsetting my patient!”

“I’m his manager I have every right to be here,” Johnny bristled.

“I don’t care who you think you are, this is my patient and I would like to see him following doctor’s orders which includes eating what he is given.”

Johnny rubber necked from Nick’s nearly empty tray to the nurse’s face. “Oh, does that mean it’s a good thing for him to be eating a 6,000 calorie lunch?” He stopped his words, sizing the fat nurse. “Wait, you’re used to eating a meal of that size must be about four times a day, right?”

“Name calling doesn’t hurt me, herr. My patient has been prescribed a healthy diet of fats and proteins, a proven method of healing the body. He is young and soon will be healthy, as many of my patients. I pride myself in my patient’s recoveries.”

“Oh for the love of god, I want him signed out now!”

“No, he will stay as the doctor ordered. He is still getting an IV and he needs bedrest to heal his kidneys.”

“Carter? Is this what you want? Don’t you think it would be better to be back at the hotel around the people you know?”

Keeping his head lowered, Nick replied quietly, “No, I don’t feel well enough to make the trip back to the hotel.” He knew that as soon as Johnny had him in his grasp he would be working again and more than likely eating bird food. As much as he hated to admit it, he sort of liked being waited on, breakfast in bed, food at his fingertips to satisfy his gnawing hunger pains.

“Fine, have it your way, but just so you know, doctor’s orders or not, you will be signing out tomorrow, I’ll be back to get you early,” Johnny warned. “Try not to eat too much at dinner, Carter, your body needs a break.”

“Asshole,” Nick muttered bitterly after the manager left the room.

“You do not seem to like that man much, do you?”

Wiping his eyes with the back of his free hand, Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t have much of a choice. He’s hired by our recording label and we have to listen to him whether we like the bull that’s coming out of his mouth or not.”

“He likes to pick on you about your weight, I see,” Hildegard said.

“Constantly,” Nick agreed.

“Well you are my patient and he cannot tell me how to care for you! He is an ass.”

Nick managed a slight grin when he could tell that the nurse seemed to hate Johnny as much as he did.

“The cook is making chocolate chip cookies, I’ll be right back with a plate and a nice tall glass of cold buttermilk.”

“Make it plain milk and I’ll be happy,” Nick grinned.

~*~*~*~*~

“Johnny, you know that the fans will understand if we miss some tour stops,” Kevin remarked as he walked alongside the manager towards the hotel shuttle van.

Johnny shook his head emitting a sarcastic laugh. “Richardson, you aren’t looking at this from a business aspect. You see, there’s these little things called contracts---”

“I know what they are,” Kevin angrily interrupted. Taking a deep breath, he tried to calm his voice before speaking. “It’s just that what Nick has can turn into a more serious problem.”

“Did I say Carter was going to be performing?”

“No, but you’re talking about---”

“What I’m talking about is we have schedules and they need to be kept. We can’t take time out for fatass Carter and be stuck in some damned hotel in fucking England--”

“Germany,” Kevin corrected.

“Germany then wherever the fuck we are. The point is, Richardson, that we have to be on the goddamned tour bus tomorrow afternoon and Carter will be on it with the rest of you.”

Climbing into the shuttle van, Kevin bowed his head forward, rubbing his eyes.

“Headache again?” Brian whispered sympathetically.

Kevin moaned in reply. “Not yet, but it’s coming.”

The silence in the van was interrupted by Howie blowing his nose and AJ’s coughing. Kevin and Brian seemed to be getting over the Backstreet Flu while the other two band members were in it’s tight grip. In Kevin’s thoughts the tour so far was nothing but a disaster.

“Maybe Howie has some Tylenol,” Brian suggested.

“Tylenol won’t cure this kind of a headache.”

“Migraine?”

“No, it’s a stress headache.”

Brian looked at his cousin, concern evident in his voice. “What’s got you so stressed out?”

Rubbing his face, Kevin sighed.

Brian placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “I want to help, tell me please.”

“Johnny is being a dick,” Kevin muttered.

Grinning, Brian replied, “That’s nothing new.”

Kevin started to tell Brian about his conversation with Johnny when the van arrived outside the music store.

“Showtime guys,” Johnny commanded. “Put the Backstreet smiles on your faces and make love to the crowd and the cameras!”

“Jesus,” AJ mumbled.

The doors were quickly opened to the van, barely allowing the boys to gather their personal items they carried with them let alone their composure. Howie barely managed to grab his box of tissues before he was literally jerked out the door by Johnny.

“Step it up Latino man, it’s show time,” he hissed into Howie’s face.

The men were led into the music store like cows heading into a slaughter house, teens crowded against the barriors to the right and left of the carpet that had been laid on the cement sidewalk leading to the entrance. The fans were screaming and holding up pictures and posters. Cameras flashed, hurting AJ’s sunglass covered eyes.

Five places were arranged with water bottles and black felt markers with their names on place cards. As soon as AJ sat down, he uncapped his bottle of water, taking a drink trying to quench his dry throat.

“Wo ist Nick?”

“Er dose nicht seien sie beachten,” Kevin quickly replied.

AJ slid his glasses down his nose peering over at Kevin. Johnny rushed up to the singer’s side. “Richardson, not a word about where Carter is! Not a word about his ailment either!”

“Tell them yourself, fett esel.”

Johnny faced the store owner, sweat beading on his forehead. “Nick Carter will not be present today.”

“Oh? Why not? I have a contract that says we were getting all five boys,” the owner replied, his face flushed with anger.

“It’s something that can’t be helped.”

“I’d like to have an explanation,” the owner snapped and then gestured towards the crowd, “I’m sure we all would like an explanation!”

“B-but I can’t speak German,” Johnny stuttered trying to stall and get his way out of the predicament.

The owner flashed a false smile. “I can translate then or better yet, you could have the tall one tell the crowd since he can speak German.”

As Johnny wrung his hands staring at the crowd, the sweat started running off his face. “Goddamn Carter,” he muttered, “he’s going to pay for this.”

“It’s not his fault,” Kevin defended through a gritted smile, glaring at the manager with his eyes. ”Tell them!”

“Where’s Nick?”

“I wanna see Nick!”

The crowd was starting to voice it’s discontentment that the autograph signing hadn’t started and that Nick wasn’t there yet. Johnny looked at the table and was met back with ‘you-got-yourself-in-this-dig-yourself-out’ look followed by forced smiles.

“Uh, um, Nick’s feeling under the weather,” Johnny began in a slow and calculated voice, “so I’m sorry but he can’t be here.”

A young voice shouted, “Howie’s sick and he’s here!”

There was grumbling and moans coming from the crowd, indicting to Johnny that this could soon turn into a riot.

Kevin cleared his throat to indicate to the manager that he would speak for the group. “We’ve enjoyed your beautiful city so far, but I’m sorry to say that the travel hasn’t been pleasant. We’ve been hit with a flu bug and it’s taking turns on who gets it and hasn’t. Nick wasn’t the luckiest one and he’s in bed as I speak,” Kevin explained speaking in perfect German. “Howie is just starting to get over it, but he didn’t want to disappoint you and he insisted on coming. AJ is still under the weather too, but well, we all know how Nick can be when it comes to getting sick or hurt!”

The crowd was buying what Kevin was telling them and the sympathy was clear in the expressions. Johnny seemed to look relieved for the moment when he noted that he manager looked soothed but somewhat sympathetic as well.

“What did you say to them?”

“Don’t worry, I took care of it.”

“You didn’t tell them about--”

Kevin leaned towards the manager and whispered sharply. “I told them that he was in bed, satisfied?”

~*~*~*~

Carrying an ice bucket, AJ met Johnny in the hall of the hotel, nearly colliding head on. “Whoa, where you off to in such a hurry?”

Johnny glanced at his watch. “McLean? I thought you’d be in bed sleeping off the bar you drank up last night.”

“You’re such an asshole. I stayed in last night, I’m still sick, remember?”

“Yeah and I have some swamp land in Arizona I’d like to sell you. I’m going to the hospital,” Johnny replied, pulling out the collar on his jacket.

“Whoa... whoa, hold on a sec,” AJ called out, waiting for the tall manager to stop. “You’re not really serious about taking Nick out of the hospital today are you?”

“Yes, we have deadlines and he’s a costly obstical. Carter needs to be on this bus this afternoon, he knows I’m coming to get him so he’ll be ready.”

“Brian said the doctor ordered Nick to be there for at least two, possibly three weeks.”

“Well doctors don’t pay our bills and besides, this is just some quack from Germany, I hardly trust his damned judgement.”

“What did Clark say about this?”

“This doesn’t concern Clark,” Johnny hissed. He threw a dark look at AJ before adding, “make sure you don’t go running to Clark either or your life will be hell if I get wind that you did.”

Shrugging, AJ left the manager. He decided against going to anyone for fear of getting on Johnny’s bad side. “Just hope Nick has some balls,” he quietly mumbled to himself.

34 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 34

Kevin glared at Johnny on the bus. If looks could kill, Johnny should have been six feet under. Growing sick of the man’s carefree attitude, he laid his book down and took the empty seat next to the manager.

“I can’t believe you did that to him!” Kevin whispered harshly.

“We have a deadline,” Johnny whispered back defensively, not taking his eyes from the magazine he was thumbing through.

“I don’t give a shit about your deadlines, that kid needed to be in the hospital and you made him sign out!”

“Carter will be fine, you worry too much,” Johnny replied, licking his thumb and turning the page.

Kevin reached out and yanked the magazine from Johnny’s hands. “Listen, you knew Nick was really sick and then you pull a dumb stunt like this!”

Johnny’s eyes met Kevin’s hard glare. A small smile played on his lips as he answered. “He was sick from a stupid backflip that he was too fat to do. Besides, no one put a gun to Carter’s head.”

Kevin shook his head. “Oh I doubt a gun was held to his head but I’m sure you threatened him so much that you scared him into leaving with you.”

As the manager reached out to retrieve his magazine, Kevin pulled it away.

“Listen Richardson, I’m a businessman, not a babysitter. Carter was doing okay this morning when I got him, I got his pain killers and a couple of other prescriptions the doctor wanted him to take, so he’s going to be just fine.”

Rubbing a hand across his face, Kevin groaned. “Asshole! You don’t get it do you? He was supposed to be in the hosptial, strict bedrest for three weeks---”

“Three weeks is too much time--”

“Maybe to you it is, but he has a serious injury to his kidneys, a bruised kidney isn’t anything to just treat like a cold, besides, you seem to give the rest of us time when we’re sick, why not Nick?”

“Because Carter’s a chronic complainer--”

“Nick never told us he was hurting, he only got help because Brian found him in the bathroom after he pissed blood!”

“Well, I really don’t have anything left to say on this subject, can I have my magazine back now?”

Glaring at the manager, Kevin threw the magazine back, hitting the manager squarely in the chest.

~*~*~*~*~

Nick laid on his side, curled up into a tight ball. Although the humming of the tires slapping the pavement normally would lull Nick to sleep, he found it difficult to find a comfortable position. Sleep was not coming easy for him.

Nick mentally cursed himself for being a wuss and allowing Johnny to badger him into signing himself out of the hospital against his doctor’s orders. Nurse Hildegard argued with Johnny saying that the blood was still in his urine; microscopic, but it was still there and to be up and moving around could cause bleeding into the kidney and possibly damage it.

The manager dismissed her warnings and assured her that he would take good care of Nick and make sure he took his prescribed medications.

To add embarrassment to the situation, Nick’s clothes were missing and he had to leave the hospital wearing the gown and the hospital pants. Being the impatient man that Johnny was, he grumbled that it took Nick too long to walk from the taxi to the bus. Nick could only try his best to walk faster even though it was killing his back. He didn’t want to make Johnny anymore upset with him then he already was.

His stomach growled, snapping Nick’s train of thought to how hungry he was. He fingered the drawstring on the bottom of the pants, debating on whether he should get up and walk back to the kitchenette on the bus.

Deciding that he had to fend for himself, Nick slowly slid out of the warmth of the bunk. Not being able to stand upright, Nick slowly made his way to the back of the bus. Entering the eating area, he found Howie and AJ sitting at the table.

Howie looked at Nick, concern in his eyes. “Hey, you’re suppose to be laying down. Why are you up?”

“I’m hungry.”

“Nice jammies Kaos,” AJ grinned.

Nick glared at AJ. “The horsie ones were in the wash.”

“Sit down, I’ll get it,” Howie directed and then added, “you better eat fast because you need to be laying down, not moving around.”

“Well the food ain’t coming to me ya know,” Nick defended.

“I’ll take care of that too,” Howie assured. “Are you running a temp?”

Nick slowly slid into the booth. “I dunno, wouldn’t be surprised I guess. I’ll live.”

“How about a ham and cheese sandwich, Fritos and a glass of milk?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “It’s not a pizza but I’ll take anything you make.”

“Isn’t it time for your meds too Nick?” AJ asked as he eyed the bottles sitting on the counter.

“How the hell do I know? No one told me shit about this stuff, Johnny got it filled and then we left. Period. It’s all in German anyway, how am I suppose to know.”

“You don’t know what they gave you?” AJ asked incredilously.

“I’m lucky I even got the IV out, Johnny had me rushed out of there so fast you would have thought the building was on fire or something.”

Reaching out, AJ grabbed the bottles and looked at the labels. “Yeah, you’re right, it’s in German, but I think I see a 3 which I would think means three times a day and this other one has a 2 on it--”

“AJ, don’t be screwing around, this is serious here,” Howie reprimanded.

“I remember them giving me this one stuff twice a day, one pill,” Nick offered as he picked up a half of the sandwich Howie put in front of him. “And this other one they gave it to me like every four hours when I said I hurt.”

“AJ, we’ll have to ask Kevin, he can read this shit, not you!”

“Dumbass Kev is sleeping, Nick should take something so his system doesn’t lapse.”

“Are you going to wake him up?” Howie questioned.

“No way, I wanna live. Nick seems to know what he was taking, let the boy do his meds.”

Nick gestured toward the bottles. “Give them to me, I’ll take them, but I want Howie to make me another sandwich.”

AJ chuckled. “You heard him. Bitch, make the boy another ham and cheese.”

Howie shot an evil glare towards the table. “I’m nobody’s bitch!”

Opening the bottles, Nick spilled part of the contents onto the table. “I think these were the ones for pain and those were something I had to take twice a day and this one I think it’s once a day.”

“See, Kaos knows what he needs to take,” AJ pointed out.

Setting the sandwich on the table, Howie stared at AJ in disbelief. “Did you hear the words ’I think’ in front of each sentence about the pills? What the hell does that tell you?”

AJ and Nick looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders.

“I’m going to get that translator thing,” Howie stated as he left the kitchenette.

“What the hell does dumbass Howie know. I’m the one taking the meds, not him,” Nick announced as he sorted through the pills on the table. Picking out five pills, he tossed them into his mouth and gulped down the last of the milk in his cup.

“Atta boy, show them you’re in charge of your life,” AJ coached.

Brian walked sleepily into the dining area, rubbing the sleep from his face.

“Ewww... it lives,” AJ hissed.

Brian opened one eye and looked at the tattooed man that was grinning like a Cheshire cat. “What the hell?”

Groaning, Nick slowly stood up from the table.

“Nick, what are you doing out of your bunk?” Brian demanded.

Nick sighed. “God, nobody wants to see me, I don’t feel the love anymore.”

“He was hungry.... as usual,” AJ offered with a smirk.

“You’re feeling better?”

“Not really, just starved.”

“Well for you that would be a sign that things are getting back to normal,” Brian grinned.

“I’m going back to bed and try to find a comfortable spot....wake me when we get to wherever it is we’re going to.”

Brian and AJ watched as Nick slowly made his way back to the sleeping area.

“Poor kid, I feel bad for him. I still can’t believe Johnny making him leave the hospital,” Brian remarked.

“Well you know how mista contract is--”

“Okay I got the translator.... where’s Nick?”

“Back to bed,” Brian said.

Grabbing the bottles, Howie sat down with the translator and started punching words into the device. “Shoot, nothing comes up for this name...”

Brian eyed his Backstreet brother wearily. “D, what are you looking up?”

“Nick’s medications, you know, the names and stuff are in German and we were wondering what he was taking and what times and stuff.”

“I doubt you’d find anything about his pills on a German translator, besides, he went back to sleep it can wait until Kevin gets up,” Brian suggested.

Howie sighed. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“Nicky took care of it already,” AJ stated.

Both Howie and Brian narrowed their eyes when they looked at AJ. “Nicky did what?” they said in unison.

“He took care of it already,” AJ repeated.

“AJ! Didn’t you listen to our conversation about the meds before I left to get the translator?”

AJ put his hands up in the air. “Stop yelling at me Howie! Nick’s a big kid he knows what he was taking at the hos---”

“He thinks he knows remember that conversation? He kept saying ’I think I took this one twice a day and I think I took this one one time’ God, AJ do you realize how serious this can be?”

AJ leaned back in the booth, folding his arms behind his head. “Howie, you worry too much.”

“Do you remember what all Nick took?”

“Stuff he said he should be taking, god D wouldja just chill man. It’s not like he’s gonna go psycho or something on us.”

“Just wait til Kev hears about this!”

AJ rolled his eyes. ”Just wait til Kev hears about this’” he reapeated in a mocking tone of voice. “Dare you to wake him up right now and narc on me asshole.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Nick..... Nick, wake up....” Kevin pleaded with the teen as he poked on the boy’s shoulder. “Nick... c’mon buddy...”

Nick’s brothers stood behind Kevin as he calmly tried to wake the young boy up. The calmness Kevin possessed was quickly turning into panic as he gently patted Nick’s cheeks.

“Nicky, wake up!”

“Try this,” AJ motioned, holding out his bottled water.

Grabbing the icewater, Kevin splashed the water onto Nick’s face. Startled, Nick awoke, coughing and sputtering.

“God, I didn’t think we’d ever get you awake!” Kevin breathed.

Dazed, Nick looked up at the concered faces that were hovering over him. “Huh?”

Kevin decided to see if Nick was oriented. “How are you feeling?”

“Mmmmphf,” Nick mumbled, closing his eyes and rolling over putting his back to the men.

Kevin reached out and rolled Nick onto his back. ”NICK!”

“Wha?”

“Wake up, dammit! Don’t do this to me!”

Nick rolled over onto his back; his eyes at half mast.

“He needs to walk it off,” AJ advised, authority in his voice.

“Walk it off and flush it out of his system,” Howie added.

“C’mon Nicky,” Kevin groaned as he tugged at Nick’s arms. “God, you’re so heavy....” dropping an arm, Kevin turned and glared at the threesome that stood in the aisle, mouths hanging open. “One of you want to help me out?”

Brian quickly stood next to his cousin, pulling on the other arm. “Nick, help us out!”

As the two pulled on Nick, dragging him out of the bunk, they soon realized the mistake they were making when Nick dropped off the mattress onto the floor with a dull thud.

“Goddamn,” Kevin breathed.

“Yeah, that’s what his kidneys needed--”

“AJ shut the fuck up!” Kevin hissed.

Nick put a hand to his forehead, letting a soft moan escape his lips. “Fuck.”

“Here Nick, drink this,” Howie urged, holding out bottled water.

Nick slowly shook his head, declining the offer.

“Drink it you stupid ass!” AJ growled.

Nick accepted the bottle from Howie, his movements were slow and mechanical. His hand fell short of meeting his mouth and dropped onto his lap, spilling the water onto the floor. Kevin reached out and slapped Nick’s face harder this time than the last one.

“Why the hell is he acting like this?” Kevin crouched down and grabbed the blonde by the hair, jerking his head up. “Nick, what did you take?”

“Meds,” he sleepily replied.

“I have a hard time believing that pain killers would snow him that bad,” Kevin thought outloud.

“They would if he took too many of the wrong things though,” AJ offered quietly.

Howie narrowed his eyes at his friend. “AJ, did Nick do what I think you two were talking about before I got that translator?”

“Nick said he knew what he was doing---”

Kevin groaned, sitting on the floor next to the blonde. “God, do I have to watch you now too?”

“Here’s the pills that the doctor gave Nick,” Brian stated as he held the bottles out in the palm of his hand.

The sound of pills rattling around in the bottle was the only noise made as Kevin turned the meds around, reading the labels. “Well, from now on, I’m in charge of this,” he stated, curling his fingers around the bottles. “Nick can’t afford a fuck up like this again.” He looked up at AJ with his piercing green eyes. “Not one of your best moves AJ. This could have been serious, and now, like always, here I am covering for your ass once again.”

AJ cocked his head to one side. “Covering my ass for what?”

“It’s not for what it’s more like from whom.”

“Who’s the whom?”

“Hey ladies! The bus has been stopped for thirty minutes, you need to actually move from here and walk into the hotel, come on, we’re on a schedule here!” Johnny barked from the front of the bus.

Giving AJ a tight smile, Kevin gestured towards the front of the bus.

“Oh.”

“Come on Nicky, lets get you into your room,” Kevin soothed.

35 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 35

Before he even attempted to open his eyes, the migraine told Nick it wasn’t a good idea. Every square inch of his body hurt and it hurt to even lick his lips. Nick allowed a moan to escape his lips and almost instantly, the scent of freshly washed skin with Zest soap greeted his nostrils. Nick knew this could only mean one thing.

Kevin Richardson.

“Sh-h-h-h, it’s okay.”

Nick wrinkled his brows as his mind was trying to come to terms with two things:

1. Kevin was in a room with him

2. He was actually treating him decent despite the fact that he had an Osama of a hangover with a killer migraine.

Slowly reaching up to place a hand on the side of his head that throbbed the most, Nick tried to recall what he had been doing the night before. He couldn’t remember going out and clubbing, but he quickly decided that has happened to him before. He was prone to clubbing amnesia when he drank hard liquor.

“Are you feeling any better?”

“What did I do last night?” Nick whispered in reply. As he waited for an answer, he could hear the sound of water dripping and then a sudden chill enveloped his body when a cold, wet compress was placed across his forehead.

“You slept most of the day away today,” Kevin replied in a soothing voice.

“But what did I do last night?”

Nick pulled the cloth away, slowly opening his eyes. He drew a breath in when the fuzzy image of Kevin came into focus.

“You look like shit,” Nick observed quietly.

Running a hand through his damp hair, Kevin sighed. “I guess so, I’ve been up with you for the last twenty four hours.”

Nick could hear the fatigue in his older brothers voice. His southern drawl was more prominent when he was tired, equally the same for Brian when he was sleepy.

“Why did you stay up with me? You usually get upset with me when I fuck up and get drunk.”

Brushing lint from the sleeves of his grey University of Kentucky sweatshirt, Kevin replied, “You didn’t get drunk Nick, you OD’d on your meds.”

Nick groaned, his mind trying to sort though the information that Kevin had just provided. Why would he overdose on meds? He wasn’t upset over anything that he could recall. Things were going alright, he thought.

Taking in the unfamiliar surroundings, Nick realized that he wasn’t at home in his own bed. “Where am I, anyway?”

“Cologne.”

Cologne’?’ Nick’s sluggish mind tried to come to grips with why he would be in Cologne. Suddenly, the pieces of the puzzle came together. “I’m so sorry Kev.”

Patting Nick lightly on the shoulder, Kevin sighed. “It was an accident Nick, just do me a favor and ask before you pull a stunt like that again, okay?”

Nick managed a small smile in response as he snuggled deeper into the warmth of the blankets, falling into a restful sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~

A loud bang followed by a muffled cough, shook Nick from his peaceful dreams.

“God, I’m sorry about that.”

“Bri? Why are you here? Where’s Kev?”

“I gave him a break, he hasn’t slept since we got here and I made him go to his room and lay down.” He paused for a moment, studying his best friend’s face. “How’s your headache?”

“It’s still here,” he whispered.

“You scared the crap outta us, Kev was freakin out--”

Nick’s moans stopped the conversation.

“Hurt bad, huh?”

Nick gingerly licked his dry lips, “Yes, but it hurts to think too.”

“Do you want me to get a doc?”

Slowly shaking his head, Nick immediately regretted the movement. “No, I’ve had worse. I just need it quiet.”

"Hey Kiddo how you doing?" Johnny asked as he entered the room, not caring that the lights spilled onto the bed, making Nick wince.

"How do you think he’s doing?" Brian sneered as the dark man walked over to the teen.

Not answering the question, Johnny stated, "I heard you woke up and that’s good." He studied the blonde as he said, "You look better than before."

"Everything is relative," Brian mumbled. Nick who was doing his best not to moan, bit his lip, saying nothing. Johnny turned towards the sandy blond haired man, "Littrell, I‘m sure that Carter can speak for himself. After all he’s not a baby," he stopped for a second before continuing, "even if God knows that he often acts like one." A small chuckle, as if he was amused over his own joke.

Brian responded with a glare.

Not awaiting any answer Johnny continued, "Itīs good that youīre resting up today since we have to get moving tomorrow. We have to fly to Holland."

Upon hearing these words Nick groaned. He was in no shape to deal with going on an airplane on top of all his aches and discomfort that he was experiencing. His head felt twice as big and even when he moved his head the slightest it felt like it would explode right off his shoulders.

This had Brian in for a fit, "What? Nick is in no shape to travel anywhere and the doctor said that.." He was rudely interupted by the manager.

"The doctor knows nothing. We have a schedule to keep and if we cancel one more show you guys can kiss the European market goodbye." It wasn’t true, but Johnny knew that if he said something like this Nick would get a scare and shape up his act. Brian on the other hand knew that it was bullshit and wasnīt buying at all.

"You’re disobeying doctors orders and I’m telling you that Nick is in no shape to go anywhere but stay in bed."

"Well I am telling you otherwise." Johnny said a bit annoyed. Turning to the pale blond who looked groggy and was as white as he sheet he continued, "You better rest today Nicky because tomorrow you’ll need all the strength you can get." With that he walked out of the room.

"Asshole," Brian hissed as the door slammed shut.

A bit surprised Nick turned against his Older brother, frowning. It was rare that Brian Littrell used such a strong expression, espescially when it came to something that concerned him. He noticed by the redness in his friends face that Brian was upset and he did his best to calm him down.

"Donīt worry," Nick mumbled as he tried to sit up in bed. "I’ll be fine."

"You’re not fine," Brian said with a sigh, "You have a kidney injury and on top of that you overdosed on your own medication and you’re restricted to bedrest." He drew back his breath, "Johnny has no business to say that you should be up and traveling."

Nick sighed deeply as he fidgeted with his blanket, "Yeah he does," he mumbled silently, "he’s my manager and he runs my life."

~*~*~*~*~

The dull humming of the planes engines filled Nick with a mixture of peacefulness with a dash of nausea thrown in for good measure. He had tried for the past twenty minutes to find a comfortable spot in the tight airline seat and adjusted his tiny pillow several times to no avail.

“Here, I forgot to give you these before we took off this morning.”

Lifting the bill of his ball cap away from his eyes, Nick was greeted by an open palm with five pills laying in it. He followed the hand to where it was connected.

Nick waved him off. “I’m feeling better, I don’t need to take those.”

“And the reason why you feel better is because I’ve taken control of the situation making sure you take your medications as scheduled in the proper amounts.”

“C’mon Kev.....seriously,” Nick groaned.

“Stop being such a baby and take them. Just get it overwith and you can go back to sleep.”

Sighing loudly, Nick held out his hand, waiting for Kevin to dump the meds. Tossing the medications into his mouth, Nick uncapped his bottle of water and quickly washed the pills down. “You really suck since you’ve been taking it upon yourself taking care of my pills, you know that?”

Kevin grinned. “Yeah, a job I live for.”

“What exactly did you give me, or better yet, what did that doctor give me?”

“I gave you two of your antibiotics, one steriod med, one prozac and a dramamine....”

“Whoa.. whoa, wait a minute! You gave me prozac? Why the hell am I taking prozac?”

“The doctor had his reasons for it, you just have to do what you’ve been told Nick. It’s obviously been working, right?”

“Well... yeah I guess so.”

“Then you can’t argue with it then, can you?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I guess not. Wait a sec, you gave me dramamine.. I’m fine. God Kev, you trying to drug me up?”

Kevin rolled his eyes. “No I’m not trying to drug you up,” he assured in a mocking tone, “you just have this little history of puking your guts out during a plane trip and I just didn’t want to have to relive your breakfast coming back up.”

Nodding, Nick realized that Kevin was right. He was prone to motion sickness either on a plane or sitting in the backseat of a car. It was a life long curse and it had reared it’s ugly head up one time too many.

Giving a light slap on Nick’s leg, Kevin stood up. “Try and get some rest, okay? I know Johnny is going to be making us on the run when we get to Holland.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Dude, get your ass up, the plane is clear, c’mon we don’t have all fricken day,” AJ mumbled as he smacked Nick’s shoulder. Shifting his carryon bag over the opposite shoulder, AJ glared down impatiently at his young brother.

“Kaos, I don’t have time for this, get your fatass up now!”

Anger was slowly giving away to frustration and then to sudden panic as Nick’s head bobbed around as AJ pushed on the boy’s shoulder. “Shit, Nick!”

Dropping his bag, AJ ran off the plane to find Kevin for help with Nick, screaming his name at the top of his lungs. He got to the waiting area, finding Kevin standing alongside Johnny.

“AJ, what the hell are you doing screaming like a fool?” Johnny hissed.

“Kev, it’s Nick, I can’t get--”

AJ didn’t get a chance to finish his words as Kevin immediately sprinted towards the plane, ignoring the calls from the manager and a flight attendant. AJ ran behind Kevin, swearing with each step.

Reaching the young boy, Kevin lightly slapped Nick’s cheeks. “Nicky, wake up... shit, Nick, wake up. God, I know I didn’t give you too much.... please, please wake up!

“Should we call a doc or something?” AJ wondered outloud.

Kevin sighed, “I think we have to... I don’t know what---”

Kevin’s words were cut short by the sudden sound of Nick bursting out in a full fledged belly laugh. “I had you guys goin’.”

“Goddamn it Nick,” AJ hissed. “You sonofabitch!”

Nick’s laughter was soon replaced with yelps as AJ started pounding his body with balled fists, squarely landing on their intended target. Being blindsided, Nick didn’t have a chance to defend himself, his only option left was to cover his face but only after one blow landed on his eye.

”AJ.. that’s enough!” Kevin grunted as he pulled the scrawny man away.

“Thanks Kev.”

Glaring at Nick as he stood up, Kevin spat angrily, “Totally inappropriate Nick, considering what we’ve just been through with you and your overdose. You fucked up again. It would be nice if someday you’d learn, but as immature as you are, I doubt it.”

Nick could only watch as Kevin turned away, escorting AJ alongside. Groaning as he bent over to retrieve his carryon bag, dragging it on the floor as he trudged alone, down the hall towards the lobby.

~*~*~*~*~

Staring at his reflection in the bathroom mirror, Nick stuck his tongue out. His eye was starting go from a reddish looking scuff mark to a blueish hue, compliments of AJ’s punch in the airplane.

“Just peachy,” he sighed, turning the faucet on, cupping water and splashing it on his face.

A knock on the door, and a voice calling out “Room Service” tore Nick away from the sink. Grabbing a white towel, he quickly wiped his face off and then hung the towel around his neck as he walked toward the door.

Opening the door, he allowed the young boy entrance into his room, with the direction of ‘anyplace is fine.’

“You having a party sir?” the boy asked in broken English.

Signing the room service bill, Nick blushed. “Yeah, something like that.”

As the door softly closed, Nick pulled the tray up to the edge of the bed, taking the covers off of the plates of food he had ordered. He knew he ordered enough food for three people, but he didn’t care. He felt lonely, hurt and upset. The only way he knew how to cover the pain he felt was to seek the comfort in food.

Playing video games and snacking, Nick was shocked to discover that he had absently ate everything that was ordered. Rubbing his distended stomach, and moaned. “God why did I do that?”

As he searched the tray to see if everything was in fact consumed, the phone rang. Lifting the receiver, Nick mumbled into the phone, “Yeah?”

“Carter, press conference in thirty minutes. I expect you down there, no excuses,” Johnny barked into the phone.

“But... but--”

“But.. but,” he mocked. “Your fatass can sit in a chair and answer questions. Now get your butt moving and get dressed for this. I expect to see you there being the professional you’re paid to be.”

Before Nick could plead his case, the manager slammed the phone down, disconnecting the call. Tearfully, Nick placed the receiver back onto the cradle, slowly dragging himself off the bed towards his suitcase. Selecting a pair of blue jeans and a football jersey, Nick tossed them onto the bed. Before he started his task of getting undressed, he quickly grabbed the room service cart and pushed it out the door into the hall, hiding the evidence of his binge.

Staring down at the clothes on the bed, Nick suddenly realized that it had been almost a week since he had worn actual street clothes. He had been practically living in sweatpants or pajama bottoms. It was when he tried to button the jeans did he realize that he couldn’t get the sides to meet across his bloated stomach.

“Fuck.”

Laying down on the bed, he tried to zip the pants up but the only thing he had succeeded in doing was putting pressure on his aching kidneys. Struggling for a few more moments to get them fastened, he finally gave up, leaving the pants unzipped. Since the jersey hung mid-thigh, Nick decided he would have to make due with the pants for the time being.

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, Nick dragged a comb through his stubborn hair, trying his best to make the rooster tail that decided to pop up in the back to lay down. A firm knock on the door, drawing him away from the task at hand. Wordlessly, Nick flung the door open, walking back towards the bathroom.

“Geeze Nick, you know you’re suppose to check before you open the door,” Brian reprimanded. “What the heck happened to your hair?”

Nick sighed. “It went to shit, like the rest of my body.”

Brian leaned back onto the bed, tucking an arm under his head. “Hey, it’s only natural to feel like crap after what you’ve been through with your kidney getting bruised. Is it still giving you trouble?”

“That’s the least of my problems,” Nick mumbled.

“I still can’t believe Johnny is forcing you to go to this press conference. I tried to talk him out of it. He’s insane.”

“Yeah he’s always getting on me about something. Okay, I’m ready to go,” Nick sighed.

“Wait a minute, you’re not gonna wear that are you? Johnny said to dress up.”

Nick looked down at his jersey. “What’s wrong with this?”

“Um, nothing, but your jeans look like the crotch is down to your knees. What’s up with that?”

Nick’s face flushed with embarrassment. “Um, I kinda had problems. I guess those steriods made my stomach a little distended. I couldn’t zip my jeans up all the way. I should be fine once I quit those stupid meds.”

“Nick, I don’t know how to tell you this, but you’ve been putting on weight long before getting hurt. It’s just starting to be a lot more noticeable.”

“You’re just saying that because of the jeans.”

Brian shook his head. “No, I’m sorry, but everyone is talking about it. You need to be careful before Johnny starts in on you.”

“Well I know my body, so just fucking leave me alone about my weight, okay? Let’s go before Johnny goes postal.”

36 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection Chapter 36 The room was stuffed, packed with people that made lots of noises and all Nick wanted to do was to get out of this situation as soon as possible. The journalist on the other hand had other ideas and they were firing questions to the group like it was cannonballs. The same questions were asked over and over again and if he got one more question about what his favorite date would be he would scream, or throw the water bottle across the room. That would be something. Nick smiled involuntary as he pictured how shocked the reporters would be, not to mention the rest of the bandmembers. Why could they never be more interested with their music instead?

"What are you smiling at?" AJ whispered to him.

Nick shrugged back. "None of your business," he snapped.

"Well stop it, you look like a dumbass." AJīs eyes darkened, still grinning at the reporters infront of them. To outsiders it looked like they were chatting friendly istead of biting each others heads off.

Nick smiled. That came with the territory. Smile, never let anyone know how shitty you are feeling. That was their number one rule. SMILE!

He stiffled a groan not to show anyone how uncomfortable he was feeling. If Johnny ever listened to him he wouldnīt be stuck in a situation like this. Feeling like something the cat dragged in. His back ached and it didn't make it any better that he had to wear those tight jeans. Jeans that he was too bloated to button. He was actually grateful that the table infront of him hid his little "secret". It would be too embarresing if anyone spotted that he was too fat to even button his own jeans. He felt like a bloated whale. Oh how he wished that he hadnīt overdulged himself on all that food.

Another groan escaped his lips at the thought of all the food he had eaten. It was rolling around in his stomach, making him even more bloated than ever. At that point all Nick wanted to do was to curl up in a ball and sleep the misery away. He swallowed hard as a burp suddenly appeared from nowhere. Shit! He didnt want to embarress himself with belching infront of the European media. There were no telling what the headlines would be.

Brian must have discovered his discomfort as he turned his way, mouthing, "Everything Okay?" There was concern in the Kentuckian's eyes.

"Mhm.." Nick nodded as he continued to stare down at the table, feeling miserable. If his stomach and back was making him want to throw in the towel it was nothing compared to the discolor his eyes were. The makeup artist had worked hard trying to cover up the black and blue eye that was forming in his face. Evidence that AJ thought he was nothing but a stupid ass. He didn't know what hurt most. The fact that he got hit or the fact that AJ had stared at him like he wanted him to disappear from the face of the Earth!

He most have zoned off beacuse the next thing he knew he felt an elbow hitting him in his side, making him wince at the impact that crushed against his ribs. Looking at his side he saw AJ grinning at him. There was no doubt that the short man was responsible for yet another violent injury. God how he hated that he always had to sit beside him. Bone was pretty okay, but he could be a pain in the ass sometimes. Especially when he was bored. And Nick knew that his friend longed so much after Amanda and Nick had to take alot of heat.

"Pay attention," AJ wheezed through gritted teeth. "They asked you a question."

"Oh." Boy did he feel stupid. Turning to the waiting reporters he flashed a toothy smile. "Yes? What did you want to know?" Deep inside he prayed that they wouldn't ask him a private question and instead asked something about the album they had were planning to record in the fall. Yet he knew that it would be a fat chance and steeled himself for answering whether or not he wore boxers or briefs. What was it with that question anyway that seemed to intrigue so many reporters?

A female reporter looked up at him smiling. He smiled back. Politely. "What have you done with your eye?" she asked with a broad accent. "Where you in a fight?"

The silence that followed was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Fifty pair of eyes stared at him, no doubt awaiting for him to fuck up with the answer. Nick fidgeted uncomfortably. Why did reporters always try to get him on the spot? Thoughts moved in his head as he tried desperately to find a suitable answer. An answer that the journalists wouldn't disect like a dead frog in biology class.

Nick licked his lips nervously, his stomach doing lazy churns as the journalist was ancipating to find out the "truth" of his injury. It didn't make the problem less as he could feel Kevin's piercing eyes burn him in his back. 'Please,' he begged desperatly, 'Please don't let me fuck up!' It was so easy to say the wrong things.

When he opened his mouth to answer he heard Kevin's barritone voice say, "Nick was playing basketball when he was hit with a ball and.." He didn't get to end his sentence before another journalist interrupted him rudely.

"Why dont we get to hear from the main source himself, Mr. Carter, what happened?" The man turned towards Nick, setting his eyes in him, asking in a doubting tone, "Is that the truth? Mr. Carter?"

Oh no. Now they really had him. The teen shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Feeling like he wanted to vanish, to fly from the room. Usually he had nothing against answering questions like this, but Johnny had made sure that if there were any unwanted publicity they would be in for a real treat. And Nick thought he had enough problems as it was.

"Yeah," Nick mumbled as he cleared his voice, "Like Kev was saying I was playing B'ball when I missed a ball and wham," he demonstrated with his hands how the ball had hit him, happy that his acting lessons were paying off. "I got this black eye." The famous Nick Carter smile combined with a small embarressed laugh had the journalists soon eating from his palm.

All but one reporter who said in an sarcastic tone, "Must have been a really hard ball."

"Yeah I am well known for my hard shots," Brian added with a smile, and there was a relaxed laugh in the crowd. They had once again managed to hide the truth from the press. If they would have gotten a dollar for everytime they told a "white lie" to save a situation, or go around the truth, they would have been rich by now.

"What a dork!" AJ said with a grin, as he patted Nick playfully on his shoulder. This had the crowd ahh-ing with delight. If there was something the reporters loved it was when the boys showed off that they were "brothers". Nick could have sworn that there was a hint of regret in his friends eyes. But it would take alot for AJ to actually tell anyone the real truth about the "accident" and Johnny had forbid that such things would be revealed. Brian laughed too, but it didn't reach his eyes. Howie on the other hand did not. He sensed as always that all wasnīt right in Nick Carter land.

Hoping that this was the last set of questions Nick turned back to study the table, leaving the rest of the guys to continue with the press conference. This was one of the advantages of being in a group. He could always let someone else do the dirty work and instead space away. Nick had never liked it when there were too many people surrounding him. It made him feel nervous and when he was nervous he started to stutter, saying the wrong things and got sick to his stomach. It was different depending on day. Whether it was a good or a bad day. Today was a day when he lacked more self confidence than ever.

Brian's words that he was getting fat and that it was starting to show burned worse that a cigarrette burn inside his heart. His hand trailed under the table, feeling his stomach and all he felt was fat. Sloppy fat that made him sick.

Was Brian right after all? That he was fat?

His stomach still hurt from the overeating, reminding him of his latest weakness. He wished that he hadn't gone that far. He was a pig! A fat, ugly pig. The more he thought about it the fatter he felt. Nick moaned quietly as his stomach rumbled loudly. Maybe if he could purge he would feel fine again. Then he wouldn't be fat anymore. The more he thought about it the more comforting it felt, and soon he couldn't wait until he was out of the room. In private.

Once again he was lost in his own thoughts when he Kevin snarled to him, "Nick they are talking to YOU!"

Shit! Nick pricked up his ears. Did he miss another question? This did not look good at all. He looked up at the crowd, smiling apologetically. He heard Kevin saying that it had been a long travel and that he appologized so much on Nick's behalf that he wasn't with them all today. He also added for good meassure that they had all been suffering from the flu and were not entirely well yet. That was just half truth since Howie was the only one still affected by the disease. He was coughing and sniffling, blowing the red stopped up nose ever so often. Nick almost felt sorry for him. Yet Howie managed to show that nice side that had more or less become his trademark.

Another Backstreet smile, combined with a flashing with his eyes and Nick had them all on his side again, "I'm sorry I didnt catch that last question." he said softly, coughing slightly to make a point. If it was something that weakened the reporters it was when one of them didn't feel one hundred percent. This he used like a pro.

"Mr. Carter there is a rumour that you have been hospitalized for a few days. Is that true?"

More private questions. Nick wanted to scream. When would the reporters ever stop digging into their private life? The air got tense again as all eyes were turned towards Nick who blushed nervously. He shifted uneasy, not knowing what to say or do. His eyes trailing over to Kevin, begging the older man to field the question. As on cue, no hesitation Kevin answered, "Yes Nick was in for a small ailment. Nothing to be concerned about he is all well now."

The journalists were not at all satisfield with the answer. They pushed on. "So what is wrong with you Mr. Carter?" a man in a tie with big dots on asked, scribbling down something on the notepad he held infront of him.

"Are you sick?"

"Injured?"

"Will this affect the tour?"

The questions were many and it swirled in Nick's head. Not that he had anything against answering them, but it was the issue of saying the wrong stuff at the wrong time that bugged him. Kevin came forth for him again,

"No, No," the dark man shook his head. "Nick just took a bad fall when he was dancing and he hurt his back a little. "There was a sound going through the room. Holding up his hand Kevin continued, "Nothing serious. But the doctors wanted him to rest up to see so no permanent danger was done." Kevin smiled towards the crowd, "He is fine now." Kevin slapped his little brother in the back, "arenīt you Nick?"

Nick nodded, smiling. Once again Kevin Richardson had come to his rescue.

*****************************************************

"You are free to ask the last question," the host announced with a nasal voice. Not a moment too soon for the Backstreet Boys who all felt exhaustion sweep over them. Howie, whos eyes were bright with the cold and fever he still suffered, hid a yawn beneath his hand. Both AJ and Kevin were dying of hunger and Brian needed to go on a bathroom break. For once Nick wasn't the only one that felt distressed.

When it was finally over Nick stood up in a haste. He was about to leave the room when Kevin caught him by his shoulder, "Where do you think youīre going?"

"Out. Isnt it over?" There was surprise ín Nick's voice that was hard to hide.

"We have a photoshoot first," the tall man muttered. Nick wanted to cry. Standing in the flashes was the last thing he wanted today. He looked like total and utter crap and he was sure that even the photographers thought he looked like hell. Fat with a blackeye. Could it get any worse?

"NOW?" Nick groaned involuntarily.

"Yes now," Johnny growled, " Do you have a problem with that Carter?" The manager was sweating, both due to the stressed schedule as well as he was still feeling the effects from the flu that had haunted him for the past week. Their road manager Clark was the latest victim to the Backstreet bug and he was back in the hotel, safetly resting.

Nick shook his head.

"Good, make yourself ready then."

"Can we at least take a short break?" Brian whined, twinning his legs like he was desperate for the facilites. "I am dyyyyiiiinggg to ppeeeeee!" The drama queen in the Kentuckian making an entrance.

"No can do." Johnny shook his head as the host came up, announcing that it was time for the boys to take place on the stage again.

"I will explooodeeee." Brian whined miserably, folding over, doing his best not to hold a certain area of his body.

"Looks like Nicky did that already." AJ laughed as he pointed towards Nicks stomach. Everybodys eyes turned towards his lower region.

"What?" At first the teen didnt follow what was said, then he remembered the unbutton jeans!. Red color crept slowly upon his face as he blushed, pulling down his sweater.

"Yeah but I bet he isnt fixing to explode from wanting to pee." Kevin said with a grin. This statement brought a fit of laughter in the room and Nick wanted to die even more. How embarressing. Desperately he tried to say something biting back, but was saved by the host announcing once more that it was time to go ontage for the photo session. He tried his best not to act like it made him upset but the comments that had followed were not nice at all.

"I had a stomach ache." Nick defended himself, only getting more smiles back. No one believed him.

"Stomach ache? Don't lie Carter." Johnny hissed. When Nick opened his mouth to interject the manager continued irritated, "Get your fatass up there. Now!"

"Yes hurry Nick," Brian wailed, " Lets get this over with before I wet my pants." The short man was not happy at all. He too wanted it to be over as quickly as possible.

The moment the photo session was over all air went out from him. His back was hurting, not to mention his stomach which was constantly reminding him of his own stupidity. The fact that he hadn't got to talk to Manda for a long time made him feel even more miserable. He sulked, walking silently beside Howie as they were on their way out to the waiting van that was going to take them back to the hotel. Fortunately they did not have a show that night, which was good because all Nick wanted to do was lay down, feeling sorry to himself.

"Are you okay?" Howie asked sniffling when Nick had said nothing since they left the room. His brown eyes peered at the teen with a mixture of concern and compassion. "Is it your back that is bothering you again?"

Shaking his head, Nick mumbled, "No." He didn't dare to say anything since tears were threatening to spill over. Exhaustion swept over him like a spirit and suddenly it all felt too much. He was tired of people always nagging at him, thinking that he was a dumbass. That he always fucked up and was immature. No one had said anything to him about how he had zoned out during the interview, but he knew that as soon as they were out of public Johnny would take him aside and chew him out.

Right now that was not something he could take.

37 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 37 Sitting down heavily on the seat, Nick wrapped his arms around his body. It was a cold day in March and he felt chilled. Leaning his head against the cool window, he waited for the van to take off so they could go back to the hotel. He wasnīt in a very talkative mood and when of the guys tried to make conversation with him, he just muttered something non audible back.

"Are you pissed?" AJ wanted to know, leaning over to him, peering atop of his glasses.

"No."

"Yes you are." The rebel grinned. "You know better than wear pants that don't fit you." A small laugh was uttered, "I mean Kaos I dont think that the whole world needed to see if you were wearing boxers or briefs."

Loud laughter filled the van. Nick blushed even more. Usually he was never late to laugh at his own mistakes, but today he felt sore and vulnerable.

"Leave Nick alone. He's tired." Howie mumbled, blowing his nose from the umpteenth time.

"Arenīt we all?" Kevin yawned. "God I am dead tired. It will feel so good to go back to the hotel and sleep!"

"Yeah man, why are'nt we moving?" Bone asked when there were no movement in the van.

"B'rok isnīt on yet."

"Dude. I thought that someone was missing." AJ said as the door opened and a relieved Brian showed his face.

"Man I really needed that," he said as he sank down beside Nick, who moved closer to the window. Still not saying anything.

"Are you ready to leave then?" Johnny asked shutting the door behind him. A unison mumble was heard and the driver started the van.

They didnīt travel long before AJ suddenly uttered, "B are you a folder or a scruncher?" His eyes were gleaming micheviously.

"What?" Brian asked, looking like a questionmark as he scratched himself on his head. "What do you mean by that?"

"Donīt mind him," Howie mumbled as he sneezed into a tissue.

AJ gave a short glare to the Latino as he continued, " Just answer the question Brian. Are you a folder or a scruncher?"

"What kind of stupid question is that?" Kevin asked a bit irritated. He was tired and hungry and wanted some peace and quiet in the van. The last thing he needed to hear was AJ asking irrelevant questions.

"Mý question! Damn you sure are anal Kev!" Getting an angry stare back from the man in question.

"Oh, I am a folder," Brian muttered. "if you really want to know."

"Yeah I figured that out and you.." AJ grinned, pointing at Nick , "you are a scruncher."

"No I am not." He was heading down the trap. "I ball it!"

AJ bursted out laughing. "You ball it??"

Brian grinned, "Yeah he does."

"Like you would know that." Nick muttered, annoyed that the guys always found something to mock him about. "Yeah are there any problems with that?" Nick felt irritated. That and tired and he really wanted AJ to shut up. Kevin wanted him too and Kevin was the man to say it to AJ.

"No...no problem." The skinnier held up a hand, "but I bet that the fans would like to know that." He chuckled.

"Awww shut up Bone. You are pathetic."

"Immature," Howie added.

"Still got the potty humor I see." Brian muttered. No one was appreciating AJīs attempt to make a joke. Not when hunger and sleep was knocking on their door.

"Jeeze lighten up will you. I just wanted to know how B wipes his ass." AJ sneered. "God can there never be a joked told in this fucking place?" The skinny man got visibly irritated and he turned towards the window looking out.

Nick sighed. When it was silent once more in the van he closed his eyes. The vehicles rocking made him sleepy and before he knew what hit him he heading down the road of dreams.

"Is he asleep?" Kevin asked when the even breaths could be heard in the vehicle. He nodded towards the teen.

"Mhm.." Brian answered, glancing over his friend who slept soundly. But there were something with his appearance that had him a tad concerned. His cheeks appeared unnatural flushed. Was Nick not well? He felt on the forehead with the back of his hand. Yup, Brian frowned. Nick was definately warm. "Man," he sighed heavily.

"What?" Kevin asked impatiently. "Is something wrong?"

"Yeah I think Nick's got a bit of a fever." He let go of the hand, afraid that he would wake the teen up. Nick had been through a couple of rough days and yesterday when he had overdosed on his meds had them all in for a scare. Maybe this was the after effects of that.

"A fever?" Now it was Johnny's turn to yell from the front of the van. "Are you saying that it is Carter's turn to get sick?" He groaned loudly as came to the realization that once again the youngest in the group was afflicted with some kind of ailment. "That kid attracts all sorts of germs that are out there." He muttered to himself, "The promoters will not be happy when they hear this."

"Cool it," AJ mumbled, not sore any longer. "You all know how Nick is, one time he has this, the other that. Dude, you are freaking out over nothing. He is probably exhausted after traveling. In fact I think we all are."

There were a unison mumble of agreement in the van.

"Hey Bone," Howie pointed to a street, "Isnīt there were the famous Red Light District is?" He was talking with an whispering voice so the manager wouldn't hear what he was talking about.

"How the fuck would.." AJ started when he suddenly remembered what the street stood for. Girls. Nude Girls. "Yeah man, we better check that one out. I heard that they have some cool joints there." There was a gleam in his eyes.

The plot didn't work out as the boys had expected since Johnny had through out the years developed a sixth sense when it came to knowing what "his boys" were up to. "I want you all to rest up tonight and don't go to any clubs." He turned to look over his shoulder, "And NO Red Light District!" There was a tone of warning.

"Man! I never get to do anything fun!" AJ sulked, looking down at the floor.

"You are underaged." the manager stated, "and I don't want you all to get any more media attention than neccessary. And stay out of the bar tonight will you? It doesn't look good to the press. You are a boy band and suppose to be role models to the younger population. Not getting yourself smashed every night."

"Jeeze," Kevin muttered under his breath, "I'm an adult ainīt I?"

"Yes but you have younger fans." Johnny sighed, "all I asked you to do was to keep it calm tonight. Is that too much to ask for?"

AJ was the only one to respond, "Crap. When do we get to check out the clubs then?".

"Never."

"Dammit!" AJ was not happy.

The rest of the ride went under silence, everybody was too tired to discuss anything. Brian longed to be back at the hotel so he could call Leighanne like he had promised. He was so in love and the blonde girl was the best thing that had happened to him. He had even asked Johnny if she could join him on the tour getting a negative response back. The reason was that the management thought that a girlfriend would "distract" the guys too much, and would be bad publicity. It was important that the fans thought that they were all single, since management believed that if the truth came out about their private lives they would fall in popularity.

"Wow look at this!" Howie burst out as he saw the crowd of girls standing outside waiting for them. They were all screaming and everywhere the guys looked there were girls. Brunettes, Blondes, Red-heads, blacks. Hundreds of girls. Everywhere!

"Fuck! This is incredible." AJ uttered as he looked outside. "Totally awesome."

"How are we gonna get in without being crushed?" Kevin asked, always worrying over what would happend next.

"Donīt worry," Johnny said hanging up on his cell phone, "The bodyguards will take care of this. The van stopped and fans rushed towards the vehicle, pounding on the van. The guys felt like animals trapped in a cage.

"This is crazy!" Kevin said as he watched the girls trying to get as close as possible to the van. The noise outside was as deafening as it could be when about hundred girls screamed the loudest and highest they could. It was enough to wake up a dead.

Through this riot Nick slept peacefully.

"What are we going to do with him?" Brian asked, mentioning with his tumb towards his sleeping friend. "We canīt wake him up." The older boys sixth sense told him that after the attack with the fans the other day when Nick bruised his kidney the teen would be scared shitless watching the crowd that was piling up outside. After all Nick had been going through he wanted to spare him this.

"We have to wake him up," Kevin said with a sigh. He too wanted to spare the teen to have to face the riot that were going on outside, yet he had no choice. They would have to face the crowed. Smiling as always.

"BRIAN! Wake Nick up! Itīs time to get out!"

"But..but," the younger man stuttered. Nick needed all the rest he could get. Johhny was of another opinion.

"No buts..He has obligations to do!" The black man's tone was harsh, Brian glared angrily at his manager. He disliked him more and more. Johnny took much too often his irritation out on Nick. The teen was an easy target and this was something that Mr. Wright seemed to have discovered. If Johnny was bad, Lou Pearlman was the worst. Brian was lucky as long as that man didn't steer the ship.

"What should we do then?" Brian still felt reluctant to wake Nick up. The teen hated when they treated him like a baby, still he didn't think that his friend was in any shape or form to face hundreds of screaming girls that would do anything to get a piece of him. It was too wild.

"Can we go another way?" Kevin asked as he tried to find an escape route. "Isnīt there a back entrance to the hotel?"

"No," the driver answered, " It's too hard to go down with the van down in that tight lane, and even if it was possible we can't go anywhere due to the risk to run down fans."

They were stuck.

"Damn, this is fucking incredible," AJ repeated like a broken record. He made a face to the screaming girls outside. He laughed when they screamed even louder, pounding at the van. "These girls are crazy."

"Listen, Joe, Jake, Don and the rest of the crew will meet you guys outside. They will make a passage so you guys can go through. Also I have called in more people for security messures." Johnny ran a hand through his short black hair. "This is wild," he repeated over and over again.

"Great, But that still doesnt lead us to know what to do with this boy." Kevin nodded with his head towards the blonde that was sleeping peacefully, totally unaware of the riot that was going on outside. "He will panic when he sees this!"

"I know, I know." There was desperation in Brian's eyes when he looked outside. He loved his fans, but this was too much.

" I talked to Don, Nick's bodyguard and he said that he could carry the kid if it was neccessary." There was a mocking tone in the manager's voice when he uttered the last words.

AJ busted out laughing, "Yeah that would fit. We baby him anyway..heheheee...so maybe we can burp and change his diapers when we're at it!"

"Ajee!" Kevin wasnt too amused.

"That might work," Brian mumbled, nudging his friend gently on his shoulder. "Nick," he whispered, "Come on wake up."

A slight stir.

"Nick!" A bit louder. "We're at the hotel."

"Nooo, let me sleep," the blonde moaned, shifting in his seat. "I do..I donīt feel so..so..good."

"We know. But we're at the hotel and have to get out now from the van. You can rest when you come up to the room." Kevin frowned when he spotted the flushed cheeks on the teen.

"Canīt I sleep in the van instead?" He was barely coherent, wanting the others to stop bugging him.

AJ, sick and tired of his little brother always wanting to get attention yelled, "Hey Kaos. Check it out! There are hundreds of girls outside. It's freakin' wild."

Brian shot a glare to the skinnier man, wishing that he shut up. Kevin did the same, adding a silent move where he pretended to cut AJīs throat. The 20-year old was not high on his list at all, especially not since he was doing his best to add problems to an already panicky situation.

It worked!

Nick shot up his eyes like someone had stung him, looking outside a bit disoriented. "Holy shit!" He ran a hand through his sweaty hair, sitting up straighter in the seat. Bone was right. It was crazy.

"Why did you have to do that for?" Kevin asked, demanding an answer.

"You wanted him to wake up and I did that!" A grin came across AJīs lips. Turning towards the dark man he added, "So I think you should thank me instead of being pissed at me!"

The look Kevin shot back could have killed on the spot, and a crime would have comitted if Nick hadnīt yelled. "I am NOT going out there!" There was panic in his eyes. True panic as he moved away from the window where girls were banging on the van, trying to get his attention. "NOOOOO WAY!"

A deep sigh came from Brian. He could have figured this out with his pinky! When Nick set for something, it didn't matter what it was, there was no way that they could change his mind. At one time, when they were in Asia, their plane was delayed and they were scheduled to go on a smaller plane. Nick had gone totally ballistic, claiming that he would NOT on ANY circumstances get on that plane. No matter how they had cajoled, soothed or even threatned him they hadnīt got the teen to change his mind. This had them all waiting, sleeping on hard plastic chairs for almost 20 hours. Needless to say they had been pissed, espeicially Howie who loved to be up in airplanes. Kevin tought he was a wuss too. But Nick did not change his mind. Frankly Brian was happy for that beacuse flying with a hyper teen in panic was more than even he could muster! It would have been similar to holding a cat over a tub of water.

Nick had the same desperate look in his eyes and Brian knew it was futile to talk him into going outside.

"What is happening?" Johnny barked when he heard the loud discussing that was going on in the back.p>

"Kaos refuses to go outside," Howie informed him, adding, "so what else is new." Even if Howie often cared for people around him and he had well earned his nickname Sweet D' he still could get royally pissed at Nick. The fact that the teen loved to tease him didn't help either and sometimes Howie just wanted to throw him off the bus. Violence however was not a part of the Latinos life, even if he thought that the blonde was much too immature for his own age. He knew that the event a few days ago had scared his friend dearly, but it could just as well be Nick's famous stubborness that had set in, which he strongly suspected.

"Calm down now," Kevin said with his southern growl when Nick was acting like a panicked deer caught in the headlights.

"I wont go out there..I wont.." the eighteen year old repeated over and over again. Like a mantra. The girls outside were getting impatient and several of them climbed on each other, trying to get an extra peak at the guys.

"Shut the drapes!" Kevin yelled when he saw how Nick was almost sitting in Brian's knees, trying to get away from it all. Brian shut the drapes as fast as he could, blaming himself for not thinking of that sooner. That could have spared Nick some discomfort.

"He is in panic!" Brian was starting to get desperate too. Frack had a bad habit to work himself up sometimes and often it ended up to be very big. He was making a hen out of an feather.

Johnny was now starting to loose his patience, "This is fucking unbelievable," he screamed as he climbed to come to the backseat. "Howie you take the front seat. I wanna talk to Nick!" Without any comments Howie did as he was told, the black man was practically fuming with anger. Brian held a protective arm around Nick, when Johnny entered the scene. The teen was shivering, both from panic but also from the fever that ran through his veins. To say that Nick was in a miserable state was no understatement!

"Nickolas!" Johnny was speaking with as calm voice as he could manage, altough it sounded forced when he spoke through gritted teeth. Reaching out to grab his arm, Nick shrugged quickly away. The black man had seen so much in his days to know when someone was having an anxiety attack and here Nick was experiencing one. The boy was white as a sheet, his lip shuddering as chills wracked his body. On top of everything his skin felt cool to the touch and he looked like he was on the verge of crying. At that moment the singer acted far away from the young man that he was and this had the manager a bit concerned.

"I don't wanna go, please dont make me go," Nick whispered hoarsly, over and over again. His eyes closed as though he didn't want to see the situation infront of him.

This was getting out of hand.

"Nick calm down, relax." The black man's voice was soft when he realized the teen wasn't playing a game. "Listen to me."

Nick however had no intention of doing like the manger wanted to. He was too much in his own world.

"Nooo....nooo," He moaned over and over again.

"Shit, this is fucking unbeliveable." AJ mumbled. In his eyes his friend was acting like a basket case and this scared him more than he wanted to admit. He knew that the kid had some issues, but this was more than he bargained for.

"Shut up." Kevin was doing his best to remain calm, but even he was scared over the way Nick acted and looked. He was afraid that the teen was going into shock. Why, he had no idea. "Youīre not doing anything better by yelling at the kid!"

Brian threw AJ a hard glare and the short man quieted down, turning his attentíon towards the crowd instead.

"Look at me when I talk," Johnny's tone was firm, as he grabbed Nick's arm once again. There was no results as the teen still held his eyes shut. This was testing the managers patience and he wished that Clark would have been here instead. Johnny didn't do people that well and this was the reason why they had assigned the new road manager to do that kind of work after that his wife Donna was too busy to handle the business. AJīs mother Denise would also have known what to do in a situation like this. Johnny, however did not! "NICK FOR HEAVENS SAKE! STOP ACTING LIKE A RETARD!!" The limit was reached and he was yelling at the kid again, before he could stop himself.

It seemed to work as Nick opened his blue eyes, the panic shining, blinking several times. Still not saying anything.

"Stop yelling at him." Both Brian and Kevin was upset over their managers unfitful behavoir. Ignoring this, Johnny continued a bit more gently, altough he had to breathe through his nose all the time to stay calm. "Nick listen, Don is going to help you. He will carry you through the crowd and everything will be just fine."

"No....no." Nick shook his head. They will crush me." he drew in a shaky breath, "just like the last time and then..then I wont be as lucky." He looked at the manager with tearfilled eyes, "please don't make me go out there. Please."

Even a toughass like Johnny weakened as he saw the miserable state the teen was in. Yet they couldn't stay in the van forever. People would start to wonder.

"NO! Don will come and that is it!"

Nick's lips quivered as he realized that there was no turning back. No matter how he pleaded he still had to go out to the vulchers. The last days event was too fresh in his memory and even if he tried to talk himself into that it was not going to be dangerous, nothing would happen and he would be safe it still made him skiddish with panic. This was something he couldnīt control!

"Hey dude," AJ leaned across the seat, patting Nick lightly at his cheek. Brian responded immediately with a glare, about to open his mouth to say that Bone should mind his own business. Nick steeled himself too. He knew that he was acting like a baby, but he couldn't help it. This was beyond what he could manage. Ignoring the silent glares that he got from the rest of the group he continued softly "Everything will work out fine. Believe me." The rebel looked straight into Nick's eyes and to the rests surprise he seemed to calm down. "Don will help you. Donīt worry. There is nothing to be afraid of. Okay?"

Everybody held their breath waiting for the teen to throw an even worse fit. They fell flat on their asses when Nick whispered shakily, "O..okay, Lets go then."

Nick Carter always amazed them!

"What the fuck did you do McLean?" Johhny was full of admiration when he noticed how well the 20-year old handled the situation. "No, no donīt tell me. I donīt wanna know." Johnny grinned. "Not as long as this worked." Brian and Kevin couldn't believe their eyes either. The only one that wasn't surprised was Howie. He knew that AJ was far from the bad ass that he often pretended to be.

Shrugging, AJ mumbled, "Doesn't matter." Turning to the rest he said, "Lets get going then before Kaos changes his mind."

With that, action was taken. No time to spare.

38 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 38

"Okay... yes I think so too. Yes baby I hope that we get to see each other soon. I miss you honey." Brian was talking on the phone with the love of his life, his girlfriend Leighanne. It was nearly a month since they had seen each other and he was counting the days until they could be together again. "No baby, nah it isnīt too stressful. Yes I am taking care of myself." On the other line Leighanne was worried over his health, mainly the open heart surgery that she knew would come in a couple of months. Brian was worried too. Even more than he wanted to let on. Yet he also knew that there was no turning back. He had to do it if he wanted to survive. Leaning down on his elbows, he put the phone next to his chin and cheek as he fetched the remote control, turning to Mtv. "No he's in the bathroom. Yes everything is alright." Brian glanced towards the closed bathroom door. He didn't want to worry Leighanne more than neccessary. Not that he thought that she would be too concerned over Nick. The truth was that the two of them didn't get on too well together and Brian suspected that the only reason why they talked was beacuse of him. Kevin on the other hand worked pretty good with his girlfriend.

A soft knock on the door broke his concentration. "Hold on, there's someone at the door." Putting down the receiver on the purple bedspread, he set down his bare feet on the cold linoleum floor, padding over to open the door. He paid no further attention to who was at the door, instantly returning back to bed. Looking up he saw that it was his cousin that came for a visit. A short nod and then he was back to the conversation. "Where were we?

The tall man, frowned. He had changed his clothes to something more casual, dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a white T-shirt. He too was barefoot like his cousin. Running a hand through the dark hair he whispered, "Howīs he doing?"

Shaking his head Brian montioned towards the receiver that he was busy talking, "No hon. It was just Kev that came in."

"Just Kev! Boy do I feel wanted." The Kentuckian pretended to be hurt, but a smile toyed on his lips. The smile faded, "Where is he?" Without further delay Brian pointed towards the closed bathroom door. They could hear the shower running inside. Raising an eyebrow Kevin asked, "Is he okay?"

Brian shrugged back. He really didnīt know. Nick was a tough character to understand and when he thought he had a hunch on the teen he often found out that he didnīt know him at all. Nick was a bundle of emotions which had him react and act in all sorts of ways. Sometimes in a non understandable way to his surroundings.

"Has he been in there long?"

Brian nodded. "About an hour," he whispered, turning back to Leighanne, "No. I was just talking to Kev."

His cousin frowned. "You think he is alright?"

Another shrug. Brian didnīt know that either. As soon as they had come back from the hotel Nick had gone straight back to their shared room, locking himself in the bathroom. No matter how much Brian had pressed on, wanting the teen to talk he had clammed up. The anxiety attack that he had experienced on the bus had scared them and when Brian wanted to know how it had effected his friend the teen had just shrugged it off, saying that he was fine. Brian didnīt buy those words at all. Nick had been carried by the strong bodyguard so that he didn't get crushed under the masses of fans that were pressing, trying to get close to their idol. It had been totally crazy out there and to tell the truth he had been scared too. Nick on the other hand had been in fitful panic. Once they were in safe again he could see that his friend was as white as a sheet, trembling like a leaf, yet he said nothing and Brian hadnīt wanted to press on. Nick would talk when he felt ready to do that.

From the corner of his eye he saw Kevin set his steps towards the small bathroom, knocking softly "Are you there Nick?"

Brian couldn't help but grin at his cousins stupid comments. Who else would be there? No response came and he turned his attention back to Leigh again. She was talking about a new outfit that she had bought, "No Iīm not doing something else" White lie. "Yes I AM paying attention to you!" That was another white lie, since his attentíon was mostly directed towards his cousins futile attenpts to get Nick to open up.

"Nick if youīre there open up!" Kevin barked, knocking harder on the door. Still no response. Pressing his ear towards the door Brian could see a frown on his cousin.

"What?" Brian mouthed, holding a hand over the phone, blocking out all sounds. "Do you hear anything?"

Shaking his head, Kevin held up a hand, "Nick are you alright?" he called out. He could have sworn that he heard sobbing in there.

Finally a life sign.

"GO AWAY!" Nick's voice was thick like he had been crying and this had Kevin pounding even harder on the door.

"Open up! NOW!"

"I'm taking a shower. GO!" Nick shouted as he out voiced the waterflow inside.

"Nick!"

Something was thrown at the door. It was clear that the teen wanted to be left alone. The tall man sighed. There was no use in trying to get Nick to reason when he was in this mood. And he had been like this for a long time. Surrendering to Nick's will, Kevin sighed deeply, walking over to sit on the empty bed in the corner of the large room. He had to wait until Nick thought it was okay to come out. When was no telling when though, due to the teens strange behavoir. Sweeping a hand over his face he felt torn. God knew that he wasnīt assigned to be the kids babysitter and dealing with a moody teen was more than he bargained for.

Looking at his side he saw that Brian was engrossed in his conversation with Leighanne and they seemed to be laughing over something together. In the midst of his misery he couldnt help to think that Leighanne did his cousin good. He was starting to mature and this was good since dealing with two hyper "teens" was more than he could handle right now. A pain of sadness felt in his heart when he thought about his girlfriend back home. He had known Kristin since they were teenagers and even if they fought they always came back to each other. This time however he wasnīt too sure. He had been unfaitful to her, maybe one time too many and right now their relationship was on hiatus.

Finally Brian was making signs that he was about to hang up. "Well honey I gotta go. Kevīs waiting. Yeah I'll call you tomorrow. Kisses. I love ýou too." The Kentuckian made a kissing sound in the receiver before hanging up, smiling like a cat that caught a bird.

"Tell Leigh bye for me," Kevin said a bit too late.

"Sorry," Brian appologized as he stretched in bed, "She hung up."

"S'okey." Kevin sighed as he motioned with his head towards the door. "What should we do about HIM?"

Following his friends tracks Brian's smile faded as he looked towards the closed door, "Howīs it going? Any progress?"

"Nah." Kevin shook his head. "That teen is so damn stubborn."

"Yeah I know." Brian grinned. "Just leave him alone. Heīll come when he feels ready for it."

"Mhm..I hope so. I thought I heard him crying, but I might mistaken."

Upon hearing these words Brian sat up straighter in bed, "You heard what?" He moved swiftly over to the door, suddenly very concerned over the outcome. "Nick," he knocked once more, "Nick are you alright?"

A mumble was heard.

"Are you crying?"

"NOOOOOO!!" Nick yelled from the otherside. "Jeeze Frick canīt I even take a shower without you acting like I am dying?"

A bit hurt Brian backed away, "There's no need to be pissed off. Sorry that I asked," he grunted back as he walked down to his bed again, head hanging.

"Donīt mind him," Kevin comforted his cousin. "He is just being a moody teen."

Brian looked up, meeting his friends green eyes. "I really hope that it is all there is." To tell the truth he felt more and more concerned over Nick's strange behavoir. Kaos had always been a kid that was easy to get alng with, but these past weeks he seemed so moody. So withdrawn. Almost like something was hounding him. Not leaving him alone. Shrugging Brian continued, "Anyway did you want anything more than to see how Frack was doing?"

Kevin nodded. "Yeah I came to warn you two."

"Warn us? About what?" Looking over at his cousin he said with concern, "What is going on Kev?"

Massaging his temples the young man started, "Johnny and Clark had one hell of a fight. You should have heard them and it ended with Johnny giving Clark the boot!"

"The boot? You mean he fired him?"

"Yes."

"Man, why?"

"I dont know but I think it had something to do with Nick." Kevin sighed as he rubbed his temples in smooth round circles, "God I have this headache," he added with a frown, "You have any Tylenol?"

"Check that sportsbag," he pointed with his finger towards the white and blue bag that was carelessly thrown on the floor, stuff ripped open. Then he continued, "Nick? youīre kidding me?"

"Thanks man," Kevin was already searching for the wanted item. Finding the bottle he opened it up, shaking out two pills into the palm of his hand. "You have any water?" He searched around for something to drink.

"No, check the minibar." Impatience was heard in the short mans voice as he repeated, "Youīre saying that they were arguing about Nick?" He looked a bit suspecious, "Youīre not pulling my leg are you?"

"Nope!" Kevin jumped off bed, walking over to the minibar. "Clark mentioned something that Johnny was pushing us and especially Nick too hard and this got Johnny really pissed. Especially when he said that he was going to report "the abuse" to someone higher up." He took out a beer. "You want one?"

"No." Brian shook his head. "Go on!"

"Anyway Johnny got mad and fired Clark on the spot." Kevin sighed as he took a swig. "You sure that you donīt want anything? This is really good."

"Noooo man," Brian groaned. He loved his cousin but when it came to telling something Kevin could go on forever. "God, what do we do now? I donīt think that Johnny can handle this all alone. Can he?"

"Okay, your loss." With that he threw the white pills in his mouth, returning back to the bed. Answering Brian's question he said, "No, I donīt think he can either and this is why I am coming to warn you. Guess who has decided to show up?"

"Donna?"

"Nope Mr. Pearlman has decided to grace us with his presence."

"LOU!!!! Oh man!!" Brian grabbed at his head. Turning to his cousin he said with hope in his voice, "Youīre kidding me right?"

"Naaa," Kevin shook his head again. "I wish I was though." He took another swig from the beer.

"Oh brother Nick will be so thrilled." There was massive sarcasm in his voice. "Dude, this canīt get any worse," he mumbled more to himself than to anyone else.

Kevin nodded. "I'm guessing youīre right on that one."

As if on cue they heard how the water was turned off and a loud bang was heard. A loud, "FUCK!" and then the sound of someone violently vomiting filled the entire room. Both cousins looked at each other, shaking their heads as they uttered in unsion, "I guess not!"

*************************************************

'You are so fucking pathetic Carter,' the voice told him over and over again as he purged violently into the porcelin bowl. Closing his eyes, didn't want to have to face the mess he had created in the swirling water below. When all that was left was dry heaves he reached for the toilet handle like a blind man, still not looking. The smell that assualted his nostrils was nothing but pleasant and it made him feel even more nauseaous. Groaning, he flushed the evidence away. The evidence of him being a small patetic creep that couldnīt handle any pressure. He was a whimp!

Shit, his stomach hurt so much from the heaving, but he had to get the food out of his system. Now he felt several pounds lighter, almost normal, ready to face the world again. His thoughts were interrupted by his concerned friends once again calling out for him.

"Nick, Are you Okay?"

"Open up, let us help you."

They had been banging on and off for a while now, yet he had choosed to ignore them. First because he was pissed that they were on his case all the time, second because he félt too sick to answer them. But the third reason was the strongest one. He didnīt want anyone to see him in the miserable state that he was in. Not that they hadnīt seen him sick before, no it was more that this time HE was the reason why he was expelling his stomach contents like a dirty old sock turned inside and out.

He felt a bit better. Not fine, but better. Sitting up he noticed that he was naked. The need to puke had hit him so bad while he was showering. Not because he felt sick, at least not in the right sense, mentally was another question. No more because seeing himself in his birthday suit made him queasy. No matter how he tried he couldnt get rid of the obsessed idea that his body was all but a bundle of fat, dripping away. He looked like a bloated pig!

A sudden rush of nausea washed over him and he was happy that he was still kneeling beside the throne. Leaning over he did his procedure, closing his eyes as he awaited for the heaves to come. He hated this! It was the worst thing he did. Puking. Ever since he was little he always fought when he was feeling sick to the bitter end. Throwing up was something that he tried to avoid as much as possible, yet it had latley been a way for him to control his own feelings. The more he mangae to expell the better he felt!

This time it was false alarm as his stomach had nothing for him to spew. Spitting the yellow bile into the bowl he hoped that he was done for now. Standing up he noticed that his legs felt like overcooked spaghetti. A dizziness washed over him and he would have fallen if he didn't have the wash basin to steady himself against. Even in his most miserable state he still found the sitiuation a bit humorous. Here he was standing, buttnaked in a hotel room with his two brothers screaming at him from the other side. Maybe humourous wasnīt the right name. Pathetic might be better words. Sighing, he pulled down the towel from the rack, drying himself off. Before he was done wiping he was sent back to the toilet bowl, heaving one more time. When he was sure that the worst was over he brushed his teeth and wiped away the tears that rolled down his cheeks. The queasy feeling that had followed him ever since he ate earlier was gone now, replaced with a new refreshed feeling. Looking in the mirror he could have swore that he had lost a pound or two.

Nick smiled to himself. This felt good.

The satisfaction didnīt last long as Brian banged hard on his door. "Come on Frack let me in now." There was desperation in the young mans voice.

Feeling better the door unlocked with a click just to be met with both Brian and Kevin practically falling through. Startled, he jumped aside as the two of them came tumbelling in like projectiles. "Wow I didnīt know that I was that popular." He grinned.

When the two men had regained their posture they turned towards their little brother, concern shining in their eyes. "Dude how are you doing?"

"Iīm fine." Nick mumbled, not wanting to look them in their eyes. "Why are you asking?"

"Fine? Kaos youīre not fine. You were throwing up. That is far from fine according to my book." Kevin wasnīt that easily fooled, neither was Brian who tried to look into the bathroom, in search for something.

Nick narrowed his eyes, "What are you looking for Bri?"

"Oh nothing." The Kentuckian drew back his head, offering no further explanation. Nick didnīt have to guess twice what his friend was suspecious off. He was so relieved that he managed to throw all the food garbage away before they had left for the press conference otherwise he would have been in for a real treat.

Kevin hadnīt settled down yet, "Why were you throwing up then?"

"Why?" Nick was stalling as he left the bathroom with just a towel around his hips. "Eh...maybe because I was feeling sick, or I had eaten something bad or.. Who knows why people throw up?" He was acting like a drama queen, flailing with his arms. All to stall the situation at hand.

"Kaos I didnīt want you to write an essay. I just wanted to know how you were doing." Kevin seemed annoyed.

Nick shrugged back "Sorry."

"Sick? Are you sick Frack?" Brian had that suspecious look, kind of like a detective and that made Nick feel even more insecure.

It felt like all air went out in him. "I donīt know.." he sighed before thinking what he really said. When he saw the frowns on the two cousins foreheads he changed his version again, " Might be the nerves. My stomach been acting quite funny lately."

"Maybe you ate too much," Brian offered, getting a weird glare back from Kevin.

"Why would Kaos eat too much?" Kevun scratched his head. "You didnīt eat that much for dinner. Did you?"

Nick shook his head.

Kevin sensing that he was onto something turned back to Brian, "Why did you ask that question? Is there something I donīt know about?" Suspecion gleemed in his eyes.

"No.. no." Brian wasnīt inclined to reveal anything about Nick's overeating. At least not now. "I donīt know. I just thought so." He narrowed his eyes towards Nick who shifted nervously. "You didn't overindulge yourself did you?"

Nick felt himself blush as he looked down to the floor. "No," he said barely audible.

"What are you two talking about?" Kevin was getting aggrivated. "Speak up so I know what you mean." Turning to Nick he said, "What does Brian mean by that?"

"No idea." Nick tried to act like it didn't bother him at all, yet he could feel the looks that Brian sent out, he was onto him! And soon Kevin would be that too.

"Now when the bathroom is finally avaliable," Brian shot a glance towards Nick who fidgeted where he stood. "Iīm going in." With that he opened the door and went inside.

"Take your time," Kevin said calmly, "We are not going anywhere. Are we?" He turned towards the teen, "Ok Nick why did you get sick?"

"I think it could have been the nerves you know That situation outside really scared the crap out of me." He smiled paley, "Anyway I feel fine now."

"Really?" Kevin stroked his chin. "B said you had a fever. Maybe you are coming down with the flu like the rest of us had?" Mr. Richardson always tried to come up with plausible explanation for everything and Nick wished that he would once in a while lighten up. Chill out. Donīt worry so much.

"Yeah come to think of it." He sniffled as an exclamation. "Maybe you're right. The flu is finally getting to me." Standing up he walked over to his suitcase. Hunching over he searched for a pair of boxers and a T-shirt. Kevin studied him in silence.

"Dude, you sure have started to pack on a few pounds lately. Maybe you should start working out with me." The words held nothing bad to it, but Nick jerked back upon hearing this.

Now they were ALL nagging him about his weight!

Quickly he put on his T-shirt, hoping that it would cover most of his stomach. With a pale smile he stood up, trying to act like the words hadnīt hit him like a knife in his back. He pretended to yawn. "Iīm going to bed. Iīm beat."

"Sounds like a good idea," Kevin perked up. "Maybe we should all follow that example. Iīm tired too." He yawned, but made no attempt to get out of bed.

Nick coughed lightly "Hmm..hey Kev."

"Aha?"

"I said I was going to bed." the teen clarified slowly, like he didn't want to disturb his friend, who seemed to be ingrossed in watching tv.

"Mhmm.." No movement.

"Ehhh.. I am going to lay down in THIS bed." He patted with his hand on the bedspread.

"Oh." Finally the coin fell down in the slot machine. Kevin stood up, apologizing. "Iīm sorry."

"No problem." Nick jumped under the covers, laying down his aching head on the soft pillow. It felt good and he started to think that he was more exhausted than he had let on.

"Well I better get going then," Kevin looked at Nick who had drawn the sheet up to his neck. "Just wanted to hear how you were doing Kaos."

"I said I was fine."

"Yeah so I noticed." His voice held a tone of sarcasm. "Anyway I came to tell you that Lou Pearlman will be joining us tomorrow."

"LOU? Why?" Now it was Nick's turn to be shocked. The last thing he wanted was Lou "The Pig" Pearlman to be on his case about his weight. Johnny was bad enough, but Lou was down right mean. He loved spiting him. As Kevin told him the story he drew a shaky hand over his face. Groaning.

Oh how he loved his life!

39 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 39

The worst possible nightmare had come true, Nick decided as he looked up from his drawing pad across the aisle. He had wished that Kevin’s announcement that Johnny had fired Clark was just an unsubstantiated rumor but soon realized how true it was when he heard Lou Pearlman’s deep voice as he approached the boys who had been standing in the lobby waiting to board the hotel shuttle van.

Now he was trapped in a foreign county with the sweaty manager that he knew would be dogging him 24/7 about everything under the sun. Johnny’s treatment was mild compared to what the demanding Lou Pearlman could hand out, Nick theorized. Lou seemed more sneaky about his ways of making Nick feel like he was a third wheel in the group and an unimportant member. Usually by the time Lou ever left a meeting that Nick had been in attendance, instead of feeling pumped up and excited about everything that was happening in his young life, he usually left feeling lost, worthless and disillusioned.

Sworn to secrecy by Lou in the beginning of the Backstreet Boys, Nick never told anyone how badly he was mentally abused by the older man. Deep inside, he thought that maybe he treated the others the same or that he probably did things to deserve the verbal assualts.

Judging by the body language from his bandmates, Nick wondered if they felt the same as he did about Lou joining them. The normal joking around was missing and they all were acting like they were attending a funeral, sober faces and sullen expressions.

“SAS Flight 492 to Oslo, now preparing to board,” a thickly accented voice announced over the lobby intercom.

“Guess that’s us,” Johnny groaned, stretching his lanky body as he stood up. He clapped his hands together several times, almost like a kindergarten teacher rounding up her students from recess. “Come on guys, let’s get moving, we don’t want miss the flight.”

Catching a glimpse of Lou pulling out a handerchief and wiping his sweaty face, Nick involuntarily shuddered.

“Carter, come on, we can’t wait for you,” Johnny snapped.

”I know,” Nick whined, lifting his backpack off the floor. “Just let me get my stuff put in here, alright?”

Nick hastily unzipped the green carryon bag, grabbing the pad of paper and pencils and shoving them in. He became angry when the bag refused to zip closed and he laid it against his stomach, shifting it back and forth in hopes of settling the treasures that were stashed inside.

“Come on boy, you’re going to make us late,” Lou growled.

In his haste to cooperate with the bulky manager, Nick didn’t realize that a few of his precious items escaped a gaping seam in the bag, slipping between the cushions of the chair, lost forever.

Slinging the backpack over his shoulder, Nick sprinted to catch up with his band brothers at the boarding gate.

“Always the last one in line,” Johnny mumbled as he shot a glare at the young blonde.

“I’m pacing myself,” Nick joked.

“I need to see your passport,” the flight attendant asked as Nick stepped up to the counter.

“Sure,” he casually replied, setting the backpack onto the floor. His smile slowly faded as he started patting the front pockets on his jeans in search of the thin booklet. Upon seeing the guys had already started walking down the tunnel to board the plane, a panicked expression started to form on Nick’s face.

“Sir? I need to see your passport,” the woman insisted.

“I-I’m looking for it,” Nick squeaked as he started to frantically pat down his pants pockets, shirt pocket, finally turning each pocket inside out.

Hearing the commotion that was going on from behind him, Lou jerked around. Anger flashed in his eyes when he witnessed the young teen frantically turning his pockets inside out.

“Did you check your carryon bag?” Lou snapped, approaching Nick.

Pulling at the stubborn nylon zipper, Nick discovered it was jammed. The adrenaline that coursed through his veins put his panic into overdrive as he tugged at the seams on the bag, finally ripping the nylon zipper apart. Peering inside, he realized that the plane could possibly leave him stranded in a foreign country and quickly turned the bag over, spilling the contents onto the tile floor.

Watching the contents of the bag splatter onto the floor, pencils and pens rolling away in opposite directions, half eaten food and wrappers, CD’s and a walkman clattering when they made contact with the hard tile, Lou could only shake his head in disgust.

He and Johnny had been having a converstation when he first arrived at the hotel about the things that had been going on with the boys and the main topic of the converstation was Nick.

Seeing the empty candy wrappers and bags of potato chips and half eaten cupcakes that littered the floor in front of the young man, there was no denying where the weight came from that had seem to settle on the boy’s stomach, hips and face. Over a few months time from when Lou had last seen him, Nick had gone from a cute, gangly looking teen to a chubby on the verge of getting bigger, acne complected teen.

Somewhere along the way, Johnny had lost control of Nick and his out of control eating habits. With the boy being the ringer to the group’s success, Lou knew the reigns had to be tightened on Nick soon before it was too late.

“I-I can’t find it! It’s not here!” Nick moaned as he sifted through the pile on the floor.

“He cannot board without a passport,” the flight attendant stated crisply.

Looking up at the manager, Nick’s blue eyes widened in terror. “Don’t leave me here! I’m sorry!”

“Calm down,” Lou snapped. Gesturing with a chubby finger towards the door, he asked, “Can I go on the plane and explain our situation?”

“We normally wouldn’t allow---”

“Look lady, I have four kids on that flight and I have a conflict here and he can’t go, so I need to relay a message to my co-manager.” Pushing his arm against the woman as he walked by, Lou gruffly added over his shoulder, “Nick pick up that mess, I’ll be back in a minute.”

Tears blurring his vision, Nick hiccuped as he tried to hold off the sobs that stung his throat. For some strange reason, he doubted that Lou Pearlman would return. He was afraid that the fat man was going to leave him there, stranded. Blindly, he scooped up the items and shoved them back into his broken backpack. After he completed his task, he inched slowly away from the counter, never taking his eyes off the door for fear he would miss the manager’s return.

Seconds seemed like minutes as Nick stood waiting for the manager to return from the plane. Fear gripped his heart and he was certain that the man would leave without him. They all seemed to hate him, but Mr. Pearlman seemed to dislike him the most, Nick decided. He had done the ultimate screw up and there would be no living this one down for a long time.

Relief washed over Nick when he saw the manager walk toward him. If someone had told him yesterday that he would be happy to see Lou Pearlman’s face, Nick knew he would have died laughing. Funny how feelings change when the circumstances put you in a desperate situation.

“Well, first things first son,” Lou stated as he placed a ‘fatherly-like’ hand on the young man’s shoulder. “I need to make some calls when we get to a hotel, we need to have your papers faxed so we can get a passport ASAP.”

Nick could only shyly nod his head in agreement, not sure if he could respond without making the manager angrier than he probably was at him already.

~*~*~*~*~

Standing in the middle of a clothing store, Nick groaned. Things probably couldn’t get any worse, but Lou had insisted that since their luggage was already in Oslo and they had to spend the night in Germany, a change of clothes was in order. Normally, Nick would be happy at the prospect of buying something while he was traveling, but the way Lou stared at him when he told him that they needed to buy some clothes made Nick want to cover his head and hide.

‘You look like you poured yourself into those jeans. I bet it’s hard to breathe in those.’

Lou’s words hurt Nick and kept playing in his head over and over again. At first he was angry that the manager had the balls to ever make such a comment given the fact that he wasn’t mister fit and trim himself. After cooling down a bit, Brian’s and Kevin’s words played in his head about how he looked like he had been gaining weight. Nick had comforted himself with the opinion that he was going through growth changes and that it was normal for his bodyweight to fluctuate from time to time, but now he was wondering if the stabbing remarks were true; that he was becoming a fat slob.

“We better buy a few pairs of jeans, I doubt the ones you have in your luggage fit you anymore,” Lou muttered as Nick approached the fat man with his purchases.

“God, do you want to check my crotch to make sure I got the inseam right?” Nick snapped back as he rolled his eyes. The glare the man shot at Nick made him squirm. After the sale was completed, the manager told Nick to change his clothes so they could go out for dinner.

“You’re not serious are you?”

“Dead serious. You might as well be comfortable. I’m guessing you can’t even zip up the pants you have on right now.”

Nick could feel the heat rise to his cheeks as he tugged at the hem of the sports jersey that hung loosely over his body.

“But we’re in the middle of a mall, you want me to use a public restroom to change my clothes?”

“It’s that or strip down by this fountain.”

Sighing, Nick motioned with his head to the silent bodyguard to follow him towards the restrooms. “I feel so stupid,” Nick mumbled as he entered the bathroom, ignoring the stares and finger pointing from young girls that scattered when he walked down the small hallway.

Nick hated to admit it, but after sliding on the new pair of jeans he felt more comfortable and was glad to be rid of the older pair. He debated about putting the old pair in his bag but quickly decided against it, throwing them in the trash. “Won’t be needing those anymore.”

~*~*~*~*~

Nick’s mouth watered as he looked over the menu in the small, modest Italian restaurant. He was starving and all of his worries about being stranded in Germany with Mr. Pearlman had quickly disappeared. His main concerns now were of taking care of the gnawing hunger that clawed at his insides.

A tall waitress approached the table, “Hello, my name is Sylvie, what is your pleasure this evening?”

Clearing his throat, Lou laid his menu down. “I’ll have the pasta combination and a large tossed salad, Bleu Cheese dressing, and a glass of red wine. The boy will be having a house salad, no cheese added to the salad only garden vegetables and a cup of your light house dressing on the side and also a bottle of purified water.”

Before Nick could speak after the waitress left, the manager leaned closer and locked eyes with the young man. “This is for your own good Nick. I’ve noticed how you’ve been putting on weight and you need to start eating healthier.” He stopped his conversation when the waitress reappeared with the beverages, setting them on the table. Waiting for her to leave, Pearlman continued his one sided discussion with Nick.

“I know this is an embarrassing subject for you, but Nick, you realize you’re what makes the Backstreet Boys a seller. Sure we have Kevin, Brian, AJ and Howie, but to be honest with you, you’re the one the girls buy the songs for and you’re the one they come to see at the concerts.”

Nick could see the manager’s mouth moving but he couldn’t hear the words. He absently played with the water bottle and nodded when he thought it was appropriate to do so.

Drawing a breath in, the manager continued. Something about Lou’s expression snapped Nick out of his self pitying daze and he listened. “Now Nick, Brian will be having surgery soon so you will have plenty of time to lay around and grow fat and lazy but that’s not going to happen with you because we are adressing this now and getting you into shape before it’s too late. You need to be the star and stars don’t get sick or get soft. You can do this for the fans. It will be tough going in the beginning, but you will soon learn to love salads and water. This will be good for your health and your face too. You’re getting too many pimples too.”

Nick quickly placed a hand on his face when the manager pointed out the pimples that always seemed to come and go at will. He could have made an agruement about the make up that was slathtered on his face every night for the concerts but decided to keep his mouth shut and silently listen to the unfair judgements that were being handed down by the short, fat, sweaty manager.

When the waitress set the house salad in front of Nick, he wanted to cry. The scent of food that the manager ordered for himself teased his nostrils and made his mouth water.

“Dig in boy so we can go back and get some rest before the flight out tomorrow.”

The meal was a complete waste of time in Nick’s opinion. He left the restaurant feeling anything but satisfied. He laid on the bed in the room that Lou cheaply rented for the night, trying to ignore the loud, obnoxious snoring that came from the fat manager on the other side of the room in his king sized bed. After tossing and turning a few times, putting a pillow over his head to drown the noise out, a feeling kept coming back and as time passed by, the feelings got stronger, almost painful.

Grabbing his wallet from the nightstand and the room card, Nick quietly padded towards the door and into the hallway, barefoot and in search of a vending machine.

Down at the end of the hall and around a corner, Nick was rewarded with not one vending machine but four. All filled with various candies, chips and cakes. He had hit the mother load. He ate until his wallet was emptied of all of the foreign currency, feeling uncomfortably full but satisfied.

Quietly, as he slipped back into his room, Nick discovered that the manager was still sleeping. Breathing a sigh of relief, he decided that he was successful in his night time vending machine raid.

There was no way he was going to let Lou ‘the pig’ Pearlman run his life!

40 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 40

"Hey, you look like you lost your best friend," Kevin said with a grin as he looked down at his younger brother. Nick's only acknowledgement was a slight shurg of his shoulders, not bothering to look up.

"You've been so quiet since you and Mr. Pearlman arrived at the hotel today. Wanna talk about what's bugging you buddy?"

Nick only shook his head, not wanting to make eye contact.

Leaning against the wall, Kevin let out a deep sigh. "I was checking the facilities out the other day and they have this really cool exercise room down the hall from the pool. Why don't you go with me and work out. It'll do you some good."

Nick's head shot up, anger was evident in his expression. Glaring at his brother, Nick spat, "Why is everyone so fuckin' preoccupied with my weight? Can't you just leave me the fuck alone? I'm not a baby!"

"Nick I was just--"

"Save it," Nick interrupted as he quickly stood up.

"But I---"

"Just leave me the fuck alone, okay? I don't need any help from anyone!"

Feeling helpless, Kevin could only watch as Nick stormed off, ending any possiblity of a conversation.

Nick couldn't get away fast enough from Kevin. As much as he loved his friends, he felt that they were in some way ganging up on him and picking on every little imperfection they could find on him. The past twenty-four hours he had to spend with Lou Pearlman was bad enough. By the time they arrived in Oslo, his self esteem had reached an all time low.

He didn't care that the room he chose to hid in was a janitorial closet, he didn't care that it was pitch black. All Nick cared about was that he finally was away from anyones scrutinizing eyes.

Sitting on the floor surrounded by buckets, mops and plastic pails, Nick folded his arms and stared into the darkness. He could hear Kevin's footsteps outside the maintence closet as he passed by and Nick froze, not daring to breathe for fear that his secret place would be found.

Nick decided that this hiding place was a good one except for one minor detail; the chemicals in one of the pails started triggering his asthma. The wheezing started announcing itself slowly with each breath he took. His lungs were tightening up and the longer he was in that room with the chemcials the worse it would get.

In the darkness, Nick calmly patted his pants pockets for his Albuterol Inhaler. Calmness turned to panic when he didn't find what he was searching for and his wheezing was getting worse and the coughing was becoming more and more frequent.

Feeling his way in the darkness as he coughed, Nick knocked over boxes that were set along the walls until he finally found the door knob. His sweaty fingers slipped off the knob as he grasped and jerked at the door. Discovering it had locked behind him, Nick started to panick. With as much energy as he could muster, Nick started banging on the door. His cries for help were coughing/whispered pleas since the asthma attack had his airway in a tight grip.

Tears slipped down his cheeks as he pounded his fists on the door, thoughts of his death flashing in his brain.

Two young girls were walking the halls in search of any of the Backstreet Boys, autograph books and cameras tight in their hands. The older of the two, Meggan, held her hand up in the air and turned her head towards the noise she heard coming from down the hallway. "S-h-h-h-h!"

"What do you hear?" Bethany whispered.

"It sounds like someone coughing, I think."

"Where?"

Meggan grabbed her friend by the arm and started dragging her down toward the source of the noise. They stood for a few moments outside the janitorial closet, listening to the pounding from the inside and a whimpering cry and coughing.

"Someone's in there!"

Meggan rolled her eyes at her friend. "Well duh, ya think?"

"God, don't get snotty with me about this," Bethany snapped. "Try opening the door."

Meggan nodded and twisted the knob. "It's locked. Now what?"

"Hotel security or a janitor?"

"Yeah," cried in unison as they took off running in search of someone that could unlock the door. Meggan stopped quickly having Bethany running into her back.

"OUCH! Why did you do that?" Meggan yelped as she rubbed the back of her foot.

"Housekeeper down the hall back there. C'mon."

The girls explained what they found and the housekeeper took her keys and followed them to the closet. When they got to the door, it was quiet and the girls started to panic fearing that the person behind the door had suffocated.

"Hurry, that person was coughing hard, they probably need air."

Just as the woman placed a key into the door lock, the coughing started up again. The light from the hall shined into the storage room and the girls gasped.

"It's Nick Carter!"

Weak and his body wracked with coughing, Nick could hardly stand up and the girls quickly offered their assistance.

"Do you have a puffer?" Meggan asked as she quickly offered Nick support to help him walk out of the room.

Still coughing, Nick shook his head.

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out her Albuterol Inhaler and placed it into Nick's hand. He grabbed it like a drowning man to his survivor and quickly placed the puffer in his mouth taking a deep inhaltion of the mist.

Bethany's eyes widened as she watched Nick with the inhaler. "How did you know he needed that?"

"We asthmatics think alike, so we know what we need," Meggan explained.

"But Nick doesn't have asthma, do you Nick?"

Handing the inhaler back to the teen, Nick gave his thanks, avoiding the topic of asthma. Noticing the autograph books in their hands, he causally asked if they had something they wanted signed.

Handing the book over, she decided she wasn’t going to let the topic drop about his asthma episode. “So you’ve got asthma, right?”

Nick coughed again lightly, “Naw, it just got really stuffy in that closet and there was some stuff in there that made me sick I guess.”

“You sure did seem to know what to do with that puffer though.”

“Yeah dumb luck I guess.” He quickly scrawled his name in both books and handed them back to the girls. “There ya go. Thanks and take care.”

As he turned and walked back towards his room, he could hear the two girls still discussing the episode that had happened. He sighed knowing that it would probably wind up in a chat room. They were right about the asthma but Nick was starting to hate imperfection that was pointed out about him and this was just another thing to add to the list of his self loathing.

His footsteps slowed when he saw Kevin Richardson standing outside his door.

“Nick, where the hell did you go off to?” His eyes narrowed as he took in Nick’s sweaty appearance.

“Away but not far enough.”

“Hey, I wasn’t picking on you about your weight and you know that. I was just trying to get you to cheer up.”

Sliding the card into the slot, Nick mentally wished that Kevin would go away.

“Okay, something happened, why are you coughing?”

Nick rolled his eyes as he grabbed his bathroom kit, searching for his inhalers. “God, Kev I’m not a baby!”

“You don’t have asthmatic episodes for no reason, were you running?”

“Drop it!” Taking a deep hit from the inhaler and holding his breath, Nick glared at his brother.

As Kevin opened his mouth, the phone rang. Nick deliberately ignored the ringing, By the third ring, Kevin became clearly irritated; rushing over snatching the receiver off the cradle.

“Yeah.”

“Nick?”

“Kevin. What do you want Brian?”

“Why are you in there? Is there a meeting I don’t know about?”

Kevin rubbed a hand across his forehead. Brian was always paranoid about being excluded how could this be his cousin, Kevin wondered. “No Brian there’s no meeting, I was just talking to the kid trying to figure out what crawled up his butt. What do you want?”

“What’s wrong with Nick?” Brian persisted.

Kevin angrily sighed into the phone. “Was there a specific reason why you called Nick?”

Switching ears, Brian nervously cleared his throat. “I, um.... you’d find this kinda funny Kev....”

“Humor me then,” Kevin spat into the phone, his voice cool and even.

“Oh yeah, now I remember. Mr. Pearlman called me and wanted me to remind you that we have sound check in an hour and we’ll be staying at the venue after the check for the show.”

Kevin groaned. “Why does he come up with these rotten ideas?”

Brian grinned. “Because he’s cheap?”

Kevin glanced at his wrist, checking the time. “Yeah, that would be his prime reason for this. So that leaves us with about ten minutes to be down for the shuttle. Wonderful.” Without offering anything more, Kevin ended the call and turned to the teen sitting on the edge of the bed. “Are you going to be up to sound check?”

“Yeah,” Nick grunted.

“I’m going back to my room to gather a few things. You might want to bring along things to occupy your time.”

Nick slapped his hand across his forehead. “We’re not coming back here?”

“Pearlman said we were staying at the venue til the concert is overwith. See you at the elevator in ten minutes.”

~*~*~*~*~

“What the hell was that Carter?” Johnny barked from his seat in the auditorium.

Panting, Nick stopped his motions, wishing he could disappear when he felt all eyes on him. “I messed up, sorry.”

“You’re getting more and more clumsy as the day passes by!”

“I said I was sorry.”

“Lighten up on the kid Johnny, he’s still sick and technically he should still be in bed,” Kevin defended.

“Catering is here!” AJ interrupted.

“Good I’m starving,” Brian sighed walking off the stage.

”Hold on a second!” Johnny’s voice boomed. Howie, Brian and AJ stopped quickly. “Did I call break?”

“Yeah, just now freak,” AJ grumbled.

“What did you just call me?”

AJ shook his head and started walking toward the buffet that was waiting them. “Hey Kaos, it’s pasta time!”

Approaching the table, Nick’s stomach growled and his mouth watered. “I’m really starved,” he announced as he grabbed a plate and silverwear.

“Did you save anything for the band,” Brian joked as he watched Nick sit down with his plate overloaded with spaghetti.

“Ha...ha...ha,” Nick replied as he shot an icy glare at the Kentuckian. He ate his meal in silence, never looking up from his plate, tuning out the conversation that was going on around him.

“Nick? Nicky? HEY!

Nick jerked and looked across the table to find Kevin’s eyes locked on him.

“What?”

“Slow down, you’re shoveling your food like we’re late for something.”

Nick could feel the tears stinging his eyes. He dropped his fork onto the plate and pushed himself away from the table, the chair making a grinding noise on the wooden floor. “Wake me up when it’s time to get ready.”

All eyes watched as the blonde stormed past the table and trudged towards the green room, slamming the door shut.

“Well, guess that room is gonna be off limits for awhile,” Howie mused.

“Like hell it is,” AJ rasped.

“Leave Nick alone. He’s probably tired and needs a nap.”

AJ lowered the trademark sunglasses and peered over the tops at Kevin’s face. “God, you can’t actually be serious can you?”

Kevin’s only response was a positive nod of his head.

“Jesus Ch--”

”AJ!”

Shaking his head, AJ pulled the pack of cigarettes from his shirt pocket.

“Hey I’m still eating here,” Howie hissed.

“Can’t smoke... can’t go in the green room... what the hell is going to be next?” AJ mumbled as he stood up.

“Where are you going?”

“I feel crazy. I’m going outside without a bodyguard.”

“Are you psycho?”

AJ grinned, lighting the cigarette. “Probably, but it sure beats the hell out of sitting here and staring at a bunch of paranoid freaks.”

Kevin glared as he watched AJ walk away from them, cigarette smoke floating through the air.

Brian looked at his cousin, his eyes wide. “Aren’t you gonna stop him?”

Folding his arms across his chest, Kevin slowly shook his head.

“He’s going to go out there and get mobbed, I can feel it,” Brian whined.

“He’ll be back in five..... four.... three... two....”

”HOLY SHIT! That was some wack shit out there,” AJ panted.

“How did you know he’d be back?”

“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that there would be girls waiting outside the door. Do you actually think that AJ would be stupid enough to go out there without his bodyguard?”

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Come on Nick, I need to use the can too,” AJ yelled, pounding on the closed door.

“Yeah in a sec, okay! Geeze.”

Tugging at the form fitting black shirt, Nick stared at his reflection in the mirror. The candy bars and late night snacks were slowly beginning to show and the clothing that once was loose had become snug to say the least. It took some manipulative moves, but he was able to button and zip the stage pants. The waistband dug into his stomach and sides, making it painfully uncomfortable to breathe or bend at the waist. Standing sideways, Nick stared at his reflection in the mirror.

Loud banging on the door, jerked Nick away from his trance. He unlocked the door and threw it open, getting a “death stare” from AJ as he pushed past, unzipping his pants as he walked into the bathroom.

Howie briefly looked up as Nick walked out of the bathroom. Frowning, he did a double take. There was something different about the teen but he couldn’t put a finger on what. Until AJ came out of the bathroom a few moments later.

“Hey Chubby, pass me my water please.”

Keeping an eye on Nick throughout the entire concert, Howie could definately see that the normally energetic teen was slow moving and his stage costumes looked like they had been taylored for Brian and Nick was wearing the wrong size.

Howie wasn’t the only one that was noticing Nick’s change in size.

“Johnny, you really haven’t done a very good job of keeping that kid in line,” Lou Pearlman noted as he watched the show from the side of the stage.

“Carter is a hard one to follow. I swear that kid is a human eating machine.”

“If you want to keep your job, you better be planning on something fast or the group’s popularity will die out if that kid balloons up anymore.”

“I’m trying the best that I can Lou, he’s just too damn hard to manage,” Johnny defended.

“Well then maybe management isn’t something you should be doing then.”

“I’ll work on it, I swear,” Johnny muttered, glaring at the teen dancing on the stage.

Lou clamped a hand on the tall manager’s shoulder. “You better, your job actually depends on it, boy.”

41 by Carrie_Swenglish

"Hi Kiddo!" Brian said, as he walked inside the door to Nick's hotel room. He had knocked several times but after getting no response he had taken the matter into his own hands and walked inside. They had a show earlier in the evening and it was past midnight. Brian's first thought was that Nick was alseep since it was dark in the hotel room, only the light from the tv flickering across the carpet.

Nick was sitting on the floor crossed legged, giving him no attention. Normally he and Nick often shared a room, but this time Nick had made it clear he wanted a room of his own. This had puzzled Brian since his friend rarely wanted to be alone. He even wanted someone to accompany him when they were at an resturant and he had to use the restroom. This was something that the rest of them made fun of, but Nick always laughed saying that he couldnīt help that he was so sociable.

Sociable was not something that one could accuse Nick for being these days. He was usually gloomy and sullen and kept to himself. Not at all the cheerful prankster that they all knew and had grown to love. Instead he had gotten more clumsy and moody. He also had a bad temper, even worse than before. When Brian had mentioned this to Kevin, his cousin had shrugged saying that Nick was in late puberty and just a moody teen. Brian didnīt buy this. Instead he was set to find out what was troubling his friend.

Nick had been silent ever since coming back from his "unfortunate" stay with Lou. And when he talked he seemed to become angry all the time. Pissed at everyone. He knew that management often bugged Nick about his weight and he didnīt think it had bothered him until he found him having these awful eating binges. But Brian thought it was just the stubborn Nick shining through and that it was just an act from his friend's side to show management that they couldnīt control him. To Brian it was strange behavior, but with Nick one never knew he often did so many strange things without meaning anything from it. Deep inside he was grateful that Nick seemed to be over those eating binges since he didnīt know how to handle the teen when he was in one of those moods. How someone could make themselves sick was beyond his understanding.

"Do you mind if I come in?" Brian asked softly as he walked inside, not waiting for permission. He sat down on the soft bed.

"Yes!" The teen made no attempt to acknowledge his friend's presence and instead stared into the tv screen, blipping away on the controller as he scored points. Every so often the back of his hand went up to his nose, wiping it like he had attracted a cold.

Brian frowned. The last thing they needed was Nick to get sick. Looking at his friend he was saw that he was very tired and a bit pale. But then they all looked like that. Tired and worn. The flu bug had graced the camp and even if everybody infected was getting better it still had wiped them out. This combined with being on the road for a month was making them all long for a break. The schedule was busy, on the verge of being inhumane and even if Brian enjoyed this way of life he sometimes wished he was having peace and quiet. He was also homesick and wanted to get back home to be with Leighanne.

He knew that he wasnīt the only one suffering from homesickness. Howie had also caught that bug, being mommas boy. Brian smiled briefly as he thought about the endless hours that Sweet D' was spending talking on the phone with his family. He knew that being mommas boy was something that was labeled on him too. And there were rumors out there that his mom cut his meat for him. Okay, he could agree that at some point he was a bit overprotected, but he didnīt blame his mother, after all he had been on the verge of dying when he was young with his heart condition. But to say that he was a mommas boy was a bit far fetched.

But if he was homesick it was nothing compared to the battles that he knew Nick was going through. This could be part of Nickīs unusual behavoir. Even if Manda wasnīt one of Brians favorites he still was happy that Nick finally got to call her and they spent every free time talking to each other. He knew that Nick had got it hard, he was in over his head in love with this girl and was counting the days when they would be together.

"What are you playing?" Brian asked, nodding with his head towards the screen. He knew perfectly well that it was a combat game but he had to come up with something to say.

Nick shrugged, still not saying anything; engrossed in the tv game.

This made Brian feel uncomfortable. There had been silence much too long and he felt the need to make conversation. After all this was the reason why he had visited Nick. To tell the truth he was totally exhausted after their concert in Oslo. They were heading to Stockholm tomorrow for 2 concerts as well as the MTV European awards and they would both present as well as preform there. It was a bit nervous in the backstreet camp as it the biggest audience that they had ever played in front of, if you counted that the show was aired all over Europe.

He needed his beauty sleep and so did Nick since they would leave early in the morning, yet when he was going to go to bed he had a gnawing feeling that something was wrong with his young friend. Nick had lacked something during the whole show and he thought that it looked like he was uncomfortable too. Seeing that Nick constantly wiped his nose and cleared his throat made him think that the flu was finally hitting itīs target. Their little brother would be itīs latest victim. Looking at Nick's pale shape the bad gut feeling made him feel even more concerned than before.

Nick seemed troubled and sad.

When the blonde had been sniffling way too long the older man stood up, walking over to the bathroom with a sigh. Nick looked up briefly, but turned his head when his eyes met Brian. The Kentuckian couldnīt help but smile. Frack had to be one of the most stubborn people there was. Too stubborn for his own good. When Nick Carter was set for something not even an earthquake could move him. His smile faded when he walked into the bathroom. There was stuff scattered all over the counter and wash basin and Brian guessed that Nick would be in a hurry next morning since he was a late sleeper and packing wasnīt one of his highest priorities.

On the wash basin was a box of tissues and as Brian was about to pick a couple of them out of the box, he managed to push the box down on the floor. "Ahhh," he groaned as he bent down to pick them up, and his eyes accidently fell upon the the trashcan on the side of the toilet bowl. Generally he wouldnīt have paid it much attention but the yellow Raider wrapper was shining like a neon sign in the black trashcan. Looking down he saw that there were all kinds of candy wrappers and other packages. His first intuition was to call out to Nick and ask him why he was eating candy like an possesed. Then he remembered the previous binge eating and he froze. What if Nick was still doing this? He had said that he was over it, but by the look of it that was an lie.

Why else would the trashcan be filled with candy wrappers?

Pushing the bad feelings aside he went back to his friend who was still engrossed in the tv game. " Here you go," he said handing Nick the tissues. The blonde looked up briefly before accepting them and making good use of them. " Thanks."

" That sounds bad," Brian raised an eyebrow, " Youīre getting a cold?" He sat down on the bed again.

" Maybe."

" You should get something for that." Brian stated. He knew it was a lame topic bit he was making no progress in getting Nick to speak. It was clear that he was pretty unwanted. Why he had no idea. Usually Nick was very open and spilled it all to him, today and ever since they went on the tour he was getting more and more silent. Like he was hiding his feelings.

Nick shrugged.

Brian sighed heavily. He was starting to get tired and this was leading nowhere. " The crowed was really wild tonight. Donīt you think?" He tried to change the subject away from Nick, not that he expected any result.

" Guess so." The tvgame was beeping away.

" Even Lou thought we outnumbered ourself tonight. The norwegian loved us." It was a white lie since he had overheard Lou being a bit upset over that Nick was acting lika a big clutz that showed no emotions what so ever on stage. This couldnīt be more wrong, even if Nick had acted a bit off tonight.

" Good."

" The rest of the guys went to a club." Brian knew that it was not any important information, but he wanted an reaction from Nick. " J heard of a club and they decided to check that one out." The reaction came. Nick looked up. " So why didnīt you go then?" he asked slowly.

Surprised over getting a response he answered a bit stuttering, " Eh..I..I..eh..I thought I would go to bed instead."

" Then why donīt you?" Nicks voice was cold, and Brian jerked back. What was the matter with his friend?

" Beacuse I thought that I would spend some time with you instead."

" Mhmmm.." Nick didnīt sound too excited.

Brian felt trapped. He was loosing ground and he had to come up with an strategy fast or he could just as well go back to bed. Thinking hard he tried to find the key tyhat would unlock Nick. What would perk his brother up? It hit him like a vision from the past.

Chilling out, ordering a pizza and renting a movie. It didnīt take much to cheer his friend up.

There were just one problem. Eating after midnight didnīt settle very well with Brian and he usually was too beat and wanted to go to bed. His counsious told him that this could have something to do with his heart disorder that he would go in to surgery for within a couple of months. It was making him more tired than usual. Thinking that he could make an exception he picked up the phone on the bedstand, pressing a nine to the reception.

This action caught Nickīs attention. " Who are you calling this late?" he asked sniffling, wiping his nose with the tissue. The controller was momentarily set aside.

" Yes I can wait," Brian said as he made conversation with the reception clerk. Holding a hand over the lure he answered, " The reception. You wanīt pepparoni or mushrooms, or both?"

" Pepperoni? What?" Nick looked lost.

" On your Pizza I mean." Brian was acting casual like this was something he did every night. Ordering a night snack. Nick however was stunned.

" Youīre calling for a pizza? You Brian Littrell?" There were no misstake that he was as chocked as could be.

" Yes!" Brian felt a bit impatinet. Nick was acting like he never did something like this. Like he always was mr goody two shoes, which couldnīt be more wrong. Ok Brian was no party animal, but he liked to go clubbing occassionally and he didnīt say no to a drink either.

" B'rok itīs after midnight." His voice grew a bit hoarse, on purpose, " Midnight..you know ghost hour!"

" So?"

" Brian you NEVER eat pizza this late!" Nick was shouting the words. " I DO! But never YOU!"

" Well," he shrugged a bit uncomfortable, " I can change my mind can't I? Besides I am getting hungry and.." He turned his attention towards the lure again as the womans voice came on, " Yes this is room 656 , I would like to order two pizza, pepparoni." He looked towards Nick who was shaking his head. Furiously.

" What?" Brian frowned, " Hold on a moment," he told the reception clerk as he once again covered the lure. " Donīt you want Pepparoni?"

" No," Nick shook his head, " Just make that one."

" One?" Brian was not following his friend. This was not like the Nick he knew. The Nick that would never turn down his favorite dish; Pizza. Unless there were something wrong...Brians thoughts drifted away.

" I donīt want any," Nick explained shortly before turning back to the tvgame again, already loosing interest for the situation.

. Brian was chocked. His mouth fell open and he had to gather himself beacuse the woman on the other line called out for him to answer. " Uh,eh..Iīm sorry." Brian jerked as he turned back his attention to the lure, " Iīve changed my mind," he said slowly, still not melting that Nick was turning down this offer. " No no there is no problem. I am sorry that I bothered you." Brian felt embarressed over having to call off an order like this. " Yes no problem. Bye." He hung up, turning to Nick, " What was all that about?"

" I told you Iīm not hungry!"

" Not hungry? You?" Brian rose his voice a level too high. " What is wrong? You eat like everything, everywhere and everytime!" Then it hit him. Nick had already eaten himself full of candy. Narrowing his eyes to the teen he continued, " You didnīt happend to stuff yourself full of candy did you? Even if Johnny told you go on a diet!" Suspecion was evidence in his voice. Upon watching how Nicks eyes darkened he regretted the words that he so rudely had spat out. It wasnīt his meaning to do so.

Ignoring the last sentence Nick sneered, " Well I still donīt want any." He was hurt.

" Man, Kaos I didnīt mean too," Brian got interupted.

" Iīm going to the bed." With that Nick turned off the videogame, raising slowly from the floor like his back was still giving him problems. At that moment he looked as far away from the eighteen year old that he was. He was like a hurt little kid.

" Iīm sorry." Brian whispered, walking over to his friend," I didnīt mean to say that."

" But you still did." Nicks voice was low, like it hurt too much to speak. Stopping infront of the small bathroom he said loud and clear, looking Brian straight in his eyes, " And NO I have NOT been eating any candy tonight."

" But..but I saw in the trashcan.." Brian felt a bit confused. He knew that he shouldnīt press on but the eating binge that he had seen Nick indulge himself in several times had him concerned.

" The candywrappers that you saw were beacuse I had cleaned out my backpack! I had so much junk in there." He sounded hurt as he uttered the last words slowly, " I didnīt think you of all people would nag me about my weight." With that he closed the door.

Brian could have hit himself in his head. Here he had come down to talk to Frack beacuse he was concerned and it turned down that he was making it all worse by saying the wrong things. How stupid could someone be? He felt himself getting close to tears.

He had let Nick down.

42 by Carrie_Swenglish
align="left">Perfection - Chapter 42

'Ok where is the kid?' Johnny thought irritated, standing at the reception desk, prepared to settle up the hotel bill.

'The kid' was getting on his nerves, not only was he late, he also had made a long expensive overseas call, no doubt to his girlfriend. High telephone bills together with ordering in late snacks from the kitchen was something that Johnny needed to talk to Nick about. This was starting to become a bad habit and had to be stopped before the kid started getting fat. Lou's words the other day burned in his mind. It was his responsibility to keep all the boys in shape. How things were turning out, especially with their youngest member was not good. Nick was not taking care of himself that well and he was constantly suffering from one ailement after another. But the teen was not all that concerned him this morning, both AJ and Howie had come back drunk from going clubbing and they had another busy schedule to tend too. Dealing with two hungover boys was not something that he had opted for in his job description.

Glancing at the watch he saw that they were already late and they had to get through the airport or they would miss their flight to Stockholm and the Mtv awards. They also had to go to be at Grand Hotel for a pre-award lunch as well as rehearsal for tonights performance. Johnny groaned. This life was giving him an ulcer. "Anyone seen Nick?" he asked with a sigh. A bit puzzled the rest of the group looked back at him. They had all been so pre-occupied with taking down the luggage that they hadnīt noticed that the youngest member was missing.

"Probably jerking off," AJ muttered quietly, leaning his aching head back on the headrest of the soft leather coach. He was batteling a mother of a hangover and was not in any shape or form to get on a plane. At least not this early. 6:30 am! The fact that he had only gotten about two hours sleep didnīt make him feel any better. His hand went up to his temples rubbing them furiously.

"Bone!" Kevin corrected his language like he had done so many times before. Not that Kev really cared about AJīs potty mouth. At least not when they were out of the public eye. But when it came to them being in the limelight it was another question. They were a boyband, had lots of young fans, and therefore had to comply with standards and high morals. At least when any press was present. It was important to keep a clean facade and they were constantly drilled what to say and how to act. That was just the way it was. It was the music industry. And if they wanted to be a part of it they had to play the game.

"What? I'm just stating facts. You asked where Kaos was and I answered." The skinny man seemed a bit annoyed.

"He is probably still asleep," Howie informed them all. Being as perky as always.

"Duh genius like we didnīt know that." AJ sneered towards his friend, sitting next to him on his right. Life wasnīt fair. Howie had partied just as hard as him, still he looked like a bouquet of freshly picked daisies while he on the other hand, looked and felt like utter crap.

"You donīt have to bite Howie's head off like that," Kevin defended his friend. "AJ if you canīt handle liquor maybe you should quit drinking."

"Who says that I canīt handle booze?" AJ snarled. He didnīt like it when Kevin butted into his life like that.

"I do, look at you." Kevin waved with an disgusted hand towards the skinny man. "You look you have drank up a whole liquor store."

"Not so far from the truth," Tommy, one of the band members added with a grin. There was a short laugh in the crowd from all but Kevin and Brian who glared back at him angrily.

"Well itīs my descision if I wanna party or not." AJ felt irritated. Why were they on his case? "So get the hell out of my hair!" And the fight was at it again. Kevin telling AJ that he was acting like a five year old and AJ telling the older man that he was nothing but a jerk that wanted to be a teen. Surprisngly it was Lou that broke the bad tension that hung in the air.

"Well we have to get Carter down. And since you McLean want to be such a smartass you might as well get the honor to wake pretty boy up," sarcasm evident in his voice.

"Fuck, why do I have to do it?" AJ complained. He rubbed his temples, "I donīt feel good."

"That you should have thought of when you drowned that last tequila shot," Kevin argued. AJ shot him an evil eye.

"Stop it!" Brian said standing up like the good boy he was, "Iīll do it. I'll go and wake Frack up." He started to move towards the elevator when he was instantly called back by Lou.

"Littrell you get back here." His voice was hard, "I told McLean to do this so that is his job."

Brian sighed. Even if he didnīt like Mr. Pearlman very much he was reluctant to obey his managers orders and walked back towards his chair again. The fact that he was also a bit annoyed over that Nick always slept in late, stalling the rest of them also supported that he didnīt press on any further on the subject. Nick was a big boy and he had to start acting more mature. Brian couldnīt be on his case all the time.

"Aww fuck why do I have to be the one that wakes up fatty?" AJ groaned, feeling miserable.

This time it was Brian that objected to AJīs words of choice," Bone donīt call him that. You have no idea how words like that hurt Nick." His own thoughts traveled back to last night when he had pressed Nick about his weight. He wished that those words could have been left unsaid.

"Chill man, like you never say anything like that."

Brian opened his mouth to give back a respond when Lou interrupted him with a grin that didnīt reach his eyes, "Okay McLean you have exactly ten minutes to get that boy's ass downstairs. If you donīt get him here you two are getting your asses down to the airport by yourself." There was a threat in his tone of voice, and AJ knew that when Lou was in one of these moods he was being serious. "So I suggest that you start moving."

AJ sighed heavily. He looked towards Johnny for support but the black man shook his head. This was not something he was getting in between. The famous Johnny Wright had respect for Mr. Pearlman and even if he sometimes thought that Lou's descision was fucked up he knew better than to object. Mr. Pearlman was wealthy, but what more he had friends high up and Johnny knew that his days in the music business could be numbered if Lou decided to kick him out.

Bone knew when he was being deafeated. "Okay...Okay what room number does he have then?" After getting the information he needed he loomed with his tail between his legs, feeling just as miserable. It wasnīt just the fact that he had to wake his little brother up that ticked him off, no it was more that Nick was still fast asleep and they often had to wait up for him. Instead the way he felt HE should have been the one burrowed under the covers.

Once he reached Nick's floor, he walked towards the door, noticing that it was really silent in the hallway. 'I'll bet we are the only ones up on a Saturday morning,' he thought feeling sorry for himself as he put the keycard in the slot. The door opened and he was met with a dark room. Nick fast asleep.

"Kaos!" he called out as he walked and pushed the drapes aside so the morning light could come into the room. It was a gloomy morning in the end of March and the rain was whipping against the window. Not a good day to go on a flight. Looking over at the bundle on the bed he saw Nick snoring softly, mouth open like he had difficulty breathing through his nose. A pile of used up tissues on the bedstand showed that a cold virus had attacked his little brother and for a short brief moment he didnīt want to wake his friend up. He looked unnaturally flushed and could use all the sleep that was needed.

Just as he thought about going down to tell to them that they could fuck this, Lou's voice pondered in his head in the same speed as the sledge hammer inside. "Go get Nick or you will get to the airport by your own ass!" This served enough to get into action. "Nicky wake up," he called out shaking his friend's shoulder lightly.

There was no movement. Not even a stir.

Knowing that sometimes almost nothing would get the kid to wake up he shook his shoulder a bit harder, "Nick get up!"

A slight stir. But still no movement that could remsemble waking up. The older man grew impatient. " NICK GET UP!" Finally it gave the wanted result. Nick moved slightly, just to pull the covers further up over his head so just his blonde hair was sticking up on the pillow.

With a sigh AJ concluded that either Nick was sleeping too hard or not giving a damn about getting up. He opted for the latter. Knowing that they were already late he had to take drastic measures. Dealing with a pissed Lou was not something that he felt up to, especially not while batteling a headache the size of Texas and the nasusea that accompanied a bad hangover. 'Shit, why didnīt he listen to Kevin? Why did he have to be so stubborn? He shouldnīt have drunk that last shot!' It was easy to be wise afterwards, yet he hoped that he next time would stop before he was feeling this miserable. After all they had a very big awards show in the evening and he had to be fit for fight then. The only good part with his hangover was that it never lasted that long. Not like Nicky's that would last for days!

Making one last attempt to wake his buddy up, AJ shook his shoulder, "Nick wake up. We have to go now. The plane will leave NOW!"

"Leave me alone," the teen slurred still not fully awake, pressing his face towards his pillow.

'Ok that is it!' AJ thought irritated. He had no patience dealing with a stubborn "kid". With that he walked briskly into the bathroom, picking up the tooth brush glass, filling it with COLD water almost to the brim. Then he walked back to the bed where Nick was hugging the covers like it was his most precious thing in the world. Still asleep.

"Okay Kaos, Iīll count to three and if youīre not up by then I will pour this glass over you." he said calmly.

"Fuck off," Nick mumbled, half asleep.

Sighing, AJ felt forced to go through with his threat. Ripping the covers off Nick's body he said firmly, "On three I am pouring this water over you." He held his glass up threatingly, "So what's it going to be?"

The threat gave effect as Nick opened his sleepy eyes, "You wouldnīt dare."

"I wouldnīt?" Something evil gleemed in the olders man's eyes. "Donīt temp me."

"Fuck you!" Still not fully awake, not believing that AJ would do such an evil task, he fumbled to get the cover over his shivering body. His face was flushed, both from sleep but also from something else. He had closed his eyes again and for a moment AJ felt a pang of guilt for acting so forceful towards his friend, but Lou had demanded actions to be taken.

"Ok Kaos, donīt say that I didnīt warn you.One..two..three" With that he slowly let the water pour over his friend's face.

"Wh..what the..fu..fuck!" Nick yelled as he sputtered water and was becoming painfully aware of ice cold substance hitting his face. His eyes shot up. "Why did you have to do that?" There was hurt in his friend's voice.

AJ felt like a dork, yet he grinned at the confused and pissed look the teen had upon his face.

"Fuck AJ, you poured water into MY face?" Nick was slowly taking in the situation and he was fuming now. His face as well as the bed was wet from water and Nick was not a happy guy.

"Yeah I told you to get up, didnīt I?" AJ laughed, jumping aside as the pillow came flying towards him. "Good morning to you too."

"Why did you have to do that?" Nick asked when he had a calmed down, a hurt expression on his face. He pulled his hand through his wet hair and he was shivering constantly. The day couldnīt start any worse.

"Because you didnīt get up when I told you so and we have to leave for the aiport in like five, or you will be left alone here in Oslo." AJ narrowed his eyes, "But maybe that's what you want."

Upon hearing the words left alone Nick stiffened. If there was one thing he didnīt like it was being alone. "No."

"Good put these on." AJ threw a pair of jeans and a tee in Nick's direction. The teen stood up, making no attempt to put on the clothes that had been tossed to him.

"Where are you going?" AJ asked as he saw Nick padding barefoot towards the facilites.

"I have to go to the bathroom," he mumbled, looking like a drenched cat.

"No you donīt." AJ said firmly. Jeeze he had to be a father for this kid! "No time. You can go at the airport. Put on these clothes or Iīm kicking your ass."

Finally Nick seemed to understand what AJ was saying and he reluctantly sat down on the bed again, holding his clothes in his arms. Wiping off the excess of water on his body with the sheet, he grabbed with the other hand a tissue, blowing his nose loudly. AJ made a face of disgust. If there were one thing that grossed him out it was when other people blew their noses, heck he didnīt even like to blow his own nose. Puke, blood and even shit didnīt bother him, while snot and phlegm sent him hugging the toilet bowl in no time. This was something that Nick had used several times and when he really wanted to gross AJ out he played nasty with those body substances. AJ gagged at the memory.

Nick looked up, a smile toying in his lips like he knew what his older friend was thinking about. AJ interrupted his thoughts, "Donīt you even think of that." Nick's smile faded. "Hurry up and get dressed, meanwhile I'll try to gather all this stuff up and pack your suitcases." He started to toss some clothes down into the suitcase on the floor.

"Okay." Still Nick didnīt make a move.

"Jeeze Kaos how do you manage to make such a mess in a room," AJ muttered as he gathered Nick's belongings. He knew that he was not the one that should talk. In fact AJ was known for being the messiest in the group when it came to hotel rooms. Coming out of the bathroom, holding Nick's stuff in his arms he noticed that the blonde sat in the same position as when he had left him, "Why aren't you dressed?"

"I canīt wear this," Nick whined holding up his black jeans.

"Why? What is wrong with them?" He grinned briefly, "I really donīt think itīs time to ask for fashion advice. Donīt yell at me for listening to D!" D' might be a great guy, his best friend, but when it came to clothes he sucked. At least according to AJīs tastes.

Nick fidgeted nervously, "They..they are..eh.."

Getting impatient, trying to translate Nick's stuttering AJ muttered, "Okay spill it. What's wrong with thpse?" While awaiting for the teen's answer he threw in yet another t-shirt into the suitcase. How anyone could travel around the world with just one suitcase, a sportsbag and a backpack was beyong his imagination. He himself, who was an shop-aholic had always at least three suitcases with him. Howie was just as bad.

"They're....too small," Nick mumbled, feeling miserable. His hair hung heavy on his head, still soaking wet from the water that AJ had poured over him.

"Too small?" AJ grinned, "Well if you skipped eating pizza in the middle of the night, you wouldnīt get so fat." The words were meant like a joke, but he could see that it hurt his friend, more than they were intended to do. Nick's eyes went dark.

"Fuck you," he spat.

"Eh..Kaos, listen. We donīt have time to get you anything else to wear." He tried to be as gentle as possible especially when they were running late and would soon have an angry Lou banging on the door, asking where the hell they were. "Look just get those jeans on and this," he threw Nick's grey hooded sweatshirt jacket. "We have to go now." There was no time for further appologies and he also knew that Nick never was pissed for a very long period of time.

That was one thing that was cool with Nick,' AJ thought, 'People could say stuff to him, he would either blow up or sometimes just shrug it off with a laugh like it never bothered him. He could never stay mad for long.' His thoughts were confirmed that nothing ever hurt Nick when he saw how the teen was putting on his jeans like those words had never been uttered. From the corner of his eye he saw that Nick had trouble buttoning his jeans and AJ was on the verge to say some smartass remark when he stopped himself. "Hurry up you fa..." Nick didnīt need anymore shit from him, not now. He loved his little brother and like brothers Nick needed to screw up sometimes, he needed to know his place. But what AJ often thought was uncalled for was the way Johnny, and especially Lou treated Nick sometimes. The rude comments, the laughs behind his back. AJ had heard them one too many times about Nick, and he was stunned that the kid didnīt lack more self confidence than he did.

"Letīs go. Iīm ready." Nick stated as he picked up his backpack, slinging it over his arm. He walked out of the room in a hurry, leaving AJ with the suitcase and sportsbag.

When it dawned on AJ that Nick had left him with all this he got mad, "Fuck Kaos. This is YOUR stuff. I ainīt carrying YOUR stuff!"

Nick who was already on his way towards the elevators pretended like he didnīt hear what AJ was yelling to him about.

"NICK!" AJ yelled as he hoisted the big suitcase after him, as fast as he could. "Iīm no fucking bellboy." ' Fuck,'ĻAJ felt irritated. He couldnīt leave the suitcases because then Lou would chew his ass and they were already late and Nick showed no sign of stopping either.

'Serves him right for waking me up so rudely,' Nick thought with a smile as he pressed the elevator button, hearing AJ cussing in the hall.

43 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 43

The short flight seemed to take forever, in Nick’s opinion and he couldn’t wait to get to the hotel room and peel off the restrictive jeans. His plans were quickly aborted when Johnny stood between the elevators and the group.

“I want everyone’s full, undivided attention,” Johnny barked as he unfolded a slip of paper.

Nick let out a groan and was quickly elbowed in the side from Kevin.

“Tonight is the Mtv European Awards and this is a live feed meaning absolutely no screw ups. With that in mind, we will have to be ready to leave the hotel before 4 o’clock.” Johnny looked up briefly from his paper; eyeing Nick. “No exceptions.”

As Nick shifted his backpack onto the opposite shoulder, he heard AJ yelp. “Watch what you’re doing!”

“It’s 11:30 right now, so being the generous soul that I am, I’ll allow you ladies to get some rest but then I expect everyone to be back down in this lobby outside these elevators promptly at 1 o’clock.”

“One?” Nick grumbled.

“Yes one.”

“But that doesn’t leave much time to rest.”

“That’s not my problem now, is it?”

Nick lowered his eyes to the floor. He was exhausted and the cold he was coming down with didn’t help matters much. As they entered the elevators, Nick started on his famous sneezing jags.

“Oh for the love of god,” AJ mumbled. “Five... six... seven....eight. Done Kaos?”

Nick sneezed one more time for good measure. “Yed.”

“Just keep your cooties to yourself, I’ve already been sick once this month,” AJ growled.

To get back at AJ, Nick cleared his nose without the benefit of a tissue, drawing the snot back up, making a loud snorting noise. He was successful in his mission when AJ appeared to gag. Nick grinned victoriously.

“Okay, you’re free to go up to your rooms. Just be back here at one,” Johnny directed as he punched the button to the elevator.

”Just be back here at one,” Nick repeated in a mocking tone as the elevator doors closed.

The ride up to the nineth floor was in silence, only Nick’s sniffles breaking in every now and then.

“You better take something for that when you get up to the room,” Howie advised. Nick nodded slightly in reply. Howie set his bag on the elevator floor and started rummaging through the contents until he pulled out a small plastic bottle. “Here, take two and then keep up every four hours,” he commented as he thrusted the bottle towards the boy; pills hitting the inside of the container.

“Christ D, what are you giving the boy?” AJ sputtered.

“Just some sea kelp tablets, it’s a natural cold preventative.”

“SEA KELP?!” Nick screeched, throwing the bottle back to Howie. No way in hell am I gonna put something like that in my mouth!”

“You know you don’t have time to be sick, why don’t you at least give it a try,” Howie urged.

Nick waved him off. “I’m fine, I just was stuffed up.”

Mercifully, the elevator finally stopped, letting the men off. Walking down towards his room, Nick got the funny feeling that someone was following him. As he slid the card in the slot, he could literally feel hot breath on the back of his neck. Jerking around as he opened the door, he saw AJ McLean standing behind him.

“Oh no you’re not, go bunk with D!”

AJ pushed his young brother aside, walking into the room. “You think I’m happy about this arrangement?”

Nick followed AJ in and groaned when the tattooed man threw his bag on the floor and dove onto the queen sized bed, scooping up the television remote in one fluent motion.

Glaring, Nick didn’t move from his spot. “Leave.”

AJ snapped the wad of gum in his mouth, clicking on the tv, ignorning Nick.

“I said leave!

“Make me,” AJ replied cooly, not taking his eyes off the screen.

Nick threw his bag on the floor. “This isn’t fair! Why did they have us bunk together?”

“You think I’m happy with this?”

“Well I’m definately not happy about it.”

“Why wouldn’t you want to be with me? I’m a fun guy.”

“You smoke,” Nick pointed out.

“And you fart and burp and snore really loud.”

“So do you.”

“Mine are skilled and mature, yours just suck.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “How can farts be more skilled?”

“You’re a method farter, I only fart by accident. Gentlemen don’t fart intentionally.”

“Okay, this is getting stupid. I’m calling Johnny and I’m getting you out of my room!”

AJ raised up on one elbow. “Why do you think this is your room? This might be my room and you’re invading my space.”

Nick opened his mouth to reply but he only grew flustered when he realized that this was going to be a losing battle. When he bent over to retrieve his backback, he remembered his need to get out of the uncomfortable jeans he had been forced to wear.

AJ cocked his head to one side and watched Nick with curosity. “How come your face is so red?”

Grabbing the sweatpants from the bag, Nick stormed off towards the bathroom, slamming the door behind him.

Nick flipped off the closed door, gritting his teeth. “I’ll be taking to Johnny later asshole!”

Feeling satisfied that he had won the small battle between Nick and himself, AJ propped two pillows behind his head and settled back into the bed, drifting off to sleep.

Opening the door, Nick was more calmer but finally realized that AJ had taken the best bed in the room. He was left with a sleep couch that was situated underneath the window. The couch looked like it was only 5 1/2 feet long, way too short for his 6 foot 2 inch frame.

“Oh just peachy,” Nick mumbled. A smiled crossed his lips as he looked down at AJ’s face. He was in a deep sleep, his mouth wide open, snoring.

“Payback time Bone,” Nick whispered as he backed up toward the head of the bed. “How’s this for a method fart?”

AJ didn’t wake up, but smacked his lips, rolling over onto his side.

Nick couldn’t keep his composure and busted out laughing. AJ jerked awake.

“What the hell smells in here? It smells like sulfer. Did you light a match?”

Nick made the best angelic face he could muster while giggling. “Don’t know what you’re talking about Bone, you must be dreaming.”

~*~*~*~*~

“So glad you two could join us,” Johnny muttered as he glanced at the watch on his wrist.

“We’re only five minutes late,” AJ defended.

“If you can recall, I said promptly at one.”

Grabbing a plate from the buffet table, AJ scooped a helping of mashed potatoes out. “Whatever.”

Nick stood at the edge of the buffet, his mouth watering at the sight of the delicasies that were offered. Every dish had to be his favorite and he was already having a hard time deciding what to have. Grabbing the serving spoon, he scooped up a generous portion of meatballs in BBQ sauce onto the plate.

As he reached for a chicken leg, he glanced over his shoulder and spotted Lou Pearlman coming up towards the buffet table. He quickly dropped the chicken and started brushing some of the meatballs from his plate.

“No.. no Nick, eat up, it’s okay that’s what the buffet is here for,” Lou said in a soft voice as he clamped a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

Nick eyed the manager suspiciously.

“Come on, I know you’d like those meatballs, hell, you’d like everything that’s here. Eat up, a growing boy like you needs the energy.”

“B-but what about what you said in Amsterdam?” Nick stammered quietly.

Lou laughed softly. “The salads? Oh, I have had a change of heart. Go on, eat what you want.” Lou patted his own paunch as if for emphasis. “Unlike me, you’re young so you can get away with buffets.”

Shrugging his shoulders, Nick at first wondered about the manager’s sincerity. With his back to the tables, he didn’t see the glare that Johnny was throwing towards Lou when he caught the older man’s words.

Like a dying man on death row, Nick went down the buffet line, stacking food onto his plate until there wasn’t anymore room. Grabbing a hard roll he stuck it in his mouth so he could grab some tableware before he sauntered back to the round table where the rest of his bandmates sat.

Brian eyed Nick and then his overloaded plate. “Nice manners.”

Taking a bite from the roll, Nick spoke, spraying crumbs on his shirt. “Thanks.”

A confused AJ looked at the quantity of food on Nick’s plate. He was about to remind him about the jeans that didn’t fit when Nick caught his gaze.

“Lou said I could have this.”

AJ shook his head and focused his attention on his own plate, trying to ignore the spectical that Nick was making of himself.

Johnny’s face was flushed with anger as he caught the teen walking back from the buffet table with a plate piled high with food. He leaned close to his associate. “I thought you said he needed to watch his intake!”

“I told you I was taking this matter into my own hands,” Lou replied calmly as he glanced over at the young boy.

Johnny glared, pointing an accusatory finger towards the table. “By this? You’re letting him load up?”

“It won’t last long,” Lou smugly replied.

Johnny shook his head negatively. “You really don’t know that kid at all, do you?”

Lou pushed the peas around on his plate. “I’m taking care of this not you. You let the kid get to this obvious state where he has to have costume alterations, now let me play this out. Believe me, I know what I’m doing.”

Kevin called out to Nick when he watched the blonde push himself away fromt he table and trudge back towards the buffet table. “Nick, you’re gonna make yourself sick. Slow down.”

Johnny threw his napkin down on the table, pushing his chair back. “I can’t sit here and watch this any longer. I’m going back to my room!”

Lou grinned as he fingered the small bottle he had placed in his suit coat pocket. He watched as Nick came back and started eating the second helping of food he gave himself.

By the time he was done, the other band members had already left for their rooms, leaving Nick alone at the table and Lou Pearlman at the other table, grinning when their eyes met.

Grunting as he pushed himself away from the table, Pearlman grabbed a clean glass that was sitting in front of him. Walking over to Nick’s table he sat the glass down and plunked his large frame on the chair next to him.

“I couldn’t help but notice that you seem to be starting to come down with that nasty virus that’s been going around in the group,” Lou started out.

Rubbing a finger underneath his nose, Nick sniffled. “Yeah I guess so.”

Pulling an unmarked bottle out of his pocket, Lou unscrewed the cap and started slowly pouring the light green contents into the glass. No words were spoken by Nick as he watched the thick liquid fill the glass.

“This is my grandmother’s cure for keeping the flu bug away. It’s a secret that’s been in my family for generations.”

Nick looked at the glass and raised an eyebrow. “It is?”

“That is it,” Pearlman assured and shoved the glass toward the younger man. “I want you to drink this up, it will keep you well.”

Picking up the glass, Nick sniffed the contents. “What’s it called?”

“We just call it Health Drink.”

“Health Drink?” Nick repeated.

“Yup, bottoms up. It’s better if you drink it fast.”

Staring at the light green liquid, Nick was unsure if he wanted to drink it but then thoughts of how sick the guys were with the flu changed his mind. Closing his eyes, he lifted the glass to his lips and quickly swallowed the contents. “Hey, this tastes kinda minty.”

“Yes it does. Mint soothes the stomach. You like it?”

Wiping the light green flim from his upper lip, Nick nodded innocently.

Lou pulled an unlabeled dark bottle from his pocket. “Okay, I want you to drink a glass this size every other day until I tell you to stop. This way you won’t get the flu. Your body will flush the bugs right out and keep them away.”

Nick took the bottle hesitantly. Turning it over he noticed it was stripped of any label that once had been on the bottle.

“It’s an old bottle, that’s why there’s no label,” Lou quickly offered. “Now remember, only every other day.”

Nick nodded his understanding.

“Okay, well, we better head back to your room. I’ve arranged for the tailor to visit you for stage clothes adjustments.”

Nick quickly stared down at the table, his face flushed with embarrassment.

“Now there’s nothing to be embarrasssed about son, you’re just going through changes, nothing to worry about. It happens to the best of us. I’ll see you tonight Nick. Good luck.”

~*~*~*~*~

“This is the first time I’ve ever known them to have someone adjust anyone’s clothes,” AJ remarked as he thumbed through a magazine.

“This is why I wanted to have a room to myself!” Nick snapped, tossing clothes out of his bag onto the bed.

“You’ve got it all wrong there Nick, I’m here because they didn’t want you to be alone.”

Upon hearing those words, Nick froze up.

“Johnny knows what you’ve been up to lately and he is making sure you are kept under control.”

Nick shook his head in disgust; throwing more items from his bag onto the bed. “What are you talking about?”

“Room service bills? Those are dead give aways to your late night pizzas Nick. There’s always a trail back to anything you do. You have to more secretive about things.”

Nick’s face flushed with embarrassement. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

AJ shook his head. “Nicky stop kidding yourself. They had to let your pants out and the inseams and you had to have your shirts adjusted too. If you keep this up you’ll get sick from overeating. He’s only doing this because he cares about you.”

“Lou said I was just going through changes. He was fine with this,” Nick defended.

AJ sighed. “Keep telling yourself that then.”

~*~*~*~

A firm knock on the door interrupted Lou’s afternoon drink of whiskey and water. Setting the beverage down on the dresser as he walked toward the door, he cleared his throat. “Yeah... yeah, hold on, I’m coming.”

Johnny nearly burst through the door when it was starting to open.

“What the hell is so urgent! Something wrong?”

Johnny sat down at the small round table in the corner of the plush hotel suite. “You could say that something is wrong,” he started out as he looked around the suite.

Grabbing his mixed drink off the dresser Lou pointed at it with his free hand. “You want something to drink?”

Johnny sat up in his chair and waved him off. “We need to talk about Nick Carter.”

Settling back into his chair, Lou took a generous drink from the glass. “What about Nick? Has he gotten into some trouble?”

“No, it’s nothing like that. I don’t like what you’ve got planned and I think you should stop this before something terrible happens.”

“What do you mean?”

Johnny ran a hand through his hair. “You know exactly what I mean Pearlman.”

Lou smirked. “Don’t worry, I’ve already taken care of Nick and his little problem.”

"By telling Nick it's okay to eat as much as he wants? This is like giving a diabetic candy to eat for dinner! His weight is already starting to become a problem, what the hell are you waiting for!"

Lou's eyes darkened as he glared at the younger manager. "I've got it taken care of. End of conversation. Now if you don't mind, I have some phone calls to make. You know your way out."

44 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 44

Standing on the carpet in front of the press and photographers, Nick wished he was back at the hotel and under the covers. His stomach was aching and the cramps came in waves. It had started out light at first but as each hour passed, they seemed to be getting stronger. Pasting a well practiced smile on his face, Nick played to the cameras dispite his discomfort.

“Hey kid, we’re going in now for dinner, are you gonna join us or just stand out here looking like a complete dork?” AJ growled as he tugged on Nick’s arm.

Jerking, Nick snapped out of his daze. “Oh, yeah.”

AJ shook his head as he followed the blonde into the auditorium. “I swear you space out more than anyone I know. It’s amazing there hasn’t been a drug abuse story linked to you.”

Waiting in line with a mixture of who’s who from the recording industry, the boys waited in silence for their turn to be escorted to their table. The smells of food mixed with men’s cologne and women’s perfume made Nick’s stomach do flip flops. Just as he spied a restroom, their turn came up in the line.

“Gentlemen, follow me please.”

“I-I was gonna use the bathroom,” Nick whispered into Brian’s ear.

“Wait until we get to our table. You’ll get lost if we separate,” came the quick reply as they started off.

Nick’s hopes for a table near an exit or a restroom were quickly dashed when the boys were led to a round table, nearly front and center.

“Hey! Look bottles of wine!” AJ chuckled.

“Not for you,” Kevin said as he shot a warning glare.

“I’m legal here dickhead,” AJ hissed.

“Would anyone care to order a cocktail?”

“Yes, I’d like a whiskey sour and Nick here will have a rum and coke,” AJ grinned at the waiter.

“Neither one of you need any drinks,” Kevin advised. “Cancel that order.”

“Control freak,” AJ snapped.

“Proud of it too,” Kevin added.

Nick glanced warily at his surroundings, looking for an exit or a quick route to the restroom. His stomach was starting to knot up again and he kept thinking maybe if he went to the bathroom he would feel better.

“Nick, lean back so you don’t get burned,” Kevin advised as he placed a hand on the young singer’s shoulder.

“Huh?”

As Nick leaned back, his eyes followed the arm that snaked in front of him, setting a small cup of some type of creamy soup.

“Murklor,” the waiter stated as he placed the bowl in front of the blonde.

“That sounds like the noise Nick makes when he farts,” AJ snorted and then mimmicked the waiter’s words over and over again, amusing himself. ”Murklor!”

Leaning forward, Kevin glared at AJ. “These are the reasons why certain people should not be drinking tonight.”

“Yeah, eat your Murklor,” Nick mumbled, rubbing his stomach.

Turning the silver white creamy mixture with his spoon, Brian scrutinized the bowl. “This looks like it has mushrooms in it.” He quickly dropped his spoon back into the bowl, pushing the soup away.

“God, why don’t you try something new for a change?” Howie encouraged as he blew on his spoon before placing it into his mouth.

Nick looked down at the bowl in front of him, stirring the spoon around in the namixture, never attempting to put the spoon into his mouth. He kept trying block out the stomach ache that was growing more intense as the minutes ticked away; blaming it on nerves more than anything.

Just as AJ scraped the remainder of the soup from his bowl, the waitpersons decended upon the table like buzzards from the sky, clearing the soup dishes.

Nick scooted his chair away from the table.

Kevin eyed his young brother. “Where do you think you’re off to?”

Wiping the sweat that was beading on his upper lip with the linen napkin, Nick looked nervously toward the exit. “I need to use the bathroom.”

Kevin clamped a hand on the boy’s forearm. “Not alone you aren’t.”

“I’m fine, okay, I’m not a baby,” Nick protested as Kevin stood up from the table.

“Kev, I’ll go with Nick, I needed to use the restroom anyway,” Brian offered.

Kevin sat back down into his chair, never taking his eyes off of Nick. “Make sure you don’t lose track of him.”

“I’m sure he won’t get lost going into the bathroom for crying out loud. Give the guy some credit,” Howie sighed.

Brian had to sprint to catch up with Nick’s long legged strides towards the restrooms. “Hey! Wait up!”

Nick slowed his pace but never stopped, keeping his focus on the doors leading to the facilities and the relief he was desiring. Much to Nick’s dismay, they had to stand in line to wait a turn for one of private stalls. Nick shifted his weight back and forth.

“Is there something wrong?” Brian asked, concern in his eyes.

“My stomach is upset, that’s all,” Nick muttered.

Brian raised an eyebrow as he looked up at the blonde, noticing the film of sweat that was beading up on the face and forehead. “Oh.” Quickly the memory of Nick throwing up after a heavy food binge sprung into his head. “You been overeating again?”

Nick rested his head against the wall, rolling his eyes. “God, why do you always think that I did something to myself? Just drop it!”

A stall became free at a very opportune time for Nick and he wasted no time in putting space between himself and Brian and quickly darted towards the safety of Brian’s questions and stares.

Brian shook his head as he watched Nick dash into the stall, slamming the door loudly behind him. Admist toilet flushes and water running, he tried to train his ears on any sounds that could be coming from Nick’s stall. Specifically sounds of someone throwing up.

As luck would have it, a man exited the stall that was next to the one Nick occupied. Brian nearly knocked the older man over in his haste to get in to see if he could hear what was going on over in Nick’s stall. Preoccupied with unfastening his pants and trying to hear noises, Brian didn’t realize that the opening of a stall door was Nick’s.

Sitting down, Brian sat completely still. His wait was finally awarded with the sounds of feet shuffling back and forth and a short grunting noise. He furrowed his brow as he listened, feeling like a spy in a James Bond 007 movie. Suddenly, a hand came underneath the stall wall. “Hey buddy, you have any TP to spare in there?”

Brian looked down at the hand; it clearly didn’t belong to Nick, but that voice sounded so familiar to him, he couldn’t place who it belonged to.

“Uh... yeah.” Drawing a long strip of toilet paper from the roll, Brian folded it several times before laying it into the open palm that was still outstretched under the metal wall.

“Thanks.”

The person that occupied the next stall finished his business and flushed the toilet, banging the door against the wall loudly when he exited his stall. “Hey JC, did you see Nick Carter?”

Brian narrowed his eyes. Now he realized who the hand belonged to.

Joey Fatone.

“Yeah, god that kid is really packing the weight on, ain’t he? You’d think for being in the business he would watch what he does to himself.”

At first Brian was angry as he listened to Joey’s rude comments, but his anger slowly dissolved into a the quiet realization that if they were talking about Nick, that meant that Nick was no longer in the bathroom!

Quickly pulling his pants up, Brian slid out of the bathroom stall. He saw the back of Joey and JC as they left the restroom, which suited Brian fine, since he was angry about the words he had heard come out of Joey’s mouth he wasn’t sure he would be able to keep a civil mind about him if he were to confront Joey face to face.

Relief washed over him when as he approached the table and saw Nick was already sitting down, and the waiters were starting to serve dinner.

“I thought you were gonna wait for me,” Brian stated as he pulled his chair out and sat down.

“It would look kinda gay if I hung out in the mens room alone, wouldn’t it?”

“I see your point, but still, you just told me you weren’t feeling good and then you up and leave me in the bathroom. How was I to know you didn’t pass out or something?”

Nick shrugged a reply.

“Filet a la oscar,” the waiter announced as he set the plate in front of Nick.

As Nick looked down at the meat dish, his stomach started making loud rumbling noises.

“Starving Nick?” AJ grinned.

“I really doubt that,” Brian snapped as he cast a glare over at Nick.

Kevin picked up on the tension between Brian and Nick. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing, Brian is just thinking he’s psychic or something I guess,” Nick mumbled as he threw the napkin back into his lap.

Picking up his fork, Nick visualized Brian’s face as the potato and repeatidly stabbed it.

“Easy with the spud Kaos,” AJ snickered.

As Nick opened his mouth to reply, a loud burp escaped his lips and he quickly slapped a hand over his mouth as his cheeks started to turn bright red.

AJ cocked his head to one side and grinned his approval. “Now there’s some real class!”

Brian and Kevin’s head shot up and both directed a look of disapproval toward the young teen.

“What the hell has gotten into you tonight?” Kevin hissed as he watched Nick squirm around in his chair.

“I-I don’t know, it just slipped out,” Nick defended. “Excuse me.”

A look of disgust was on Howie’s face. Body sounds was never high on his list and it was one of the things that could make the Latino gag over quite easily.

AJ eyed his younger brother, concern etched on his face. “Nick you look a little green around the gills, are you sick?” He stretched out his hand to check Nick’s forehead which he quickly darted away, avoiding contact.

“I’m fine,” Nick assured; his voice lacking the conviction as he tried to will his mind into thinking he fine. “It’s just a case of nerves.”

Nick started thinking about the question. Was he really fine? If someone asked him how to describe what he was feeling at the moment, he wasn’t sure what words he would use for a description. Shit? Hell? Death warmed over? Shrugging his shoulders, only to himself, Nick couldn’t decide how he really felt and why for the most part. Lou had given him that health drink but now he was beginning to wonder if he took it a little too late and he was already affected by the Backstreet Flu Bug.

AJ wasn’t the only one that noticed Nick’s color being off. From the other table Lou Pearlman and Johnny Wright sat quietly observing their charges. Lou was starting to wonder why Nick was looking the way he did. The medicine he had given to him earlier should have done it’s deed and not held the young singer in any distress; at least that’s what the directions on the bottle of milk of magnesia instructed him.

Tossing back the rest of his mixed drink, Pearlman shook his head. He came to the quick conclusion that the Carter kid was a wuss and anything he took would work in overdrive because of his system. He quietly decided that maybe the first time would be the worst for the boy and with each dose he took, the effects wouldn’t be as troublesome.

Kevin noticed Nick staring down at his plate. “How come you’re not touching your food?”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Why not?”

“Because I’m not hungry, okay?”

“Is there a reason for this?” Kevin pressed.

“God, leave the boy alone, I already said he looked green, if you make him eat I’m sure he’ll hurl right on the stage!” AJ pointed out.

‘Okay, great AJ, thanks for putting that thought in my head,’ Nick mentally commented to himself. It was bad enough that he figured he had a bad case of nerves but now Kevin was staring at him and AJ was reminding him that he had a sensitive stomach. When was the torture going to end.

As if his stomach had anything to add, a loud gurgle announced that it was still alive and active. Nick clamped his arm over the offending area, trying his best to calm it down. The pressure of his waistband didn’t help matters so Nick tried as secretively as he could, unfasten the button on his pants.

Catching his moves, Brian leaned closely to his brother. “Ah ha, so you didn’t stuff yourself earlier?”

“Please leave me alone,” Nick wined softly.

“Brian, I was with Nick the whole time, he didn’t eat anything, so just back off the poor kid. I really think he’s sick!” AJ defended with a hard glare thrown in for effect.

Running a shaky hand across his pale forehead, Nick mumbled, “I think I’m getting the flu.”

Howie shifted his chair strategically further away from Nick’s side of the table, sliding his dinner service along with him.

“I swear D, you’re too much sometimes,” AJ grinned as he watched Howie’s movements.

Staring at the group, he looked at them with his deep brown eyes, swimming with innocence. “I just need to be careful. Relapses happen.”

Kevin shrugged his shoulders as he focused his attention back toward the plate in front of him. The meal looked delicious, but as much as he hated to admit it, he was a little nervous about standing in front of his peers at least twice tonight.

Nick started squirming in his seat again, desperate to find a comfortable position.

“Nick! Knock it off, you almost spilled my drink!” Brian growled as he jerked to catch the goblet from tumbling over.

Once again as Nick opened his mouth to apologize, a burp came out in reply.

“That’s my boy,” AJ snickered, amusement evident on his face.

“You are definately not saying one word when we go up to present that award,” Kevin snapped as he glared at the red faced teen.

A sudden need filled his gut and Nick knew there was only one thing he had....no must do to feel better. He quickly shoved his chair away from the table.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Bathroom,” Nick mumbled.

“Gentlemen, please follow me to the backstage,” an older woman dressed in formal attire stated with a thickly accented voice as she gestured with an outstretched arm.

Nick wanted to cry at this point. He needed to go use the bathroom and now was not the time to be interrupted again in his quest for relief. “You guys go on there without me,” he begged, his voice cracking.

“We were invited as five members and five members will be presenting the award. Get your ass over here,” Kevin hissed through clenched teeth.

AJ rushed up to walk alongside Nick. “You got the shits?”

Nick kept his eyes focused ahead. “I told you I think I’m getting the flu.” He could hear the tattooed man’s snickering. “I’m serious!”

“You always had immpeciable timing Kaos.”

As he opened his mouth to defend himself, another loud burp came out as the reply.

Gathering off stage, Kevin gave his bandmates a quick pep talk. “Brian, you can take the lines that would be Nick’s. Nick, under no circumstances do you speak or even open your mouth.... do you understand?”

As Nick was preparing to answer, Kevin shot him a hard glare. He immediately clamped his mouth shut and nodded his understanding.

“Good.”

Rocking back and forth as he stood with Kevin next to him, Nick prayed that their segment on the award show would be overwith quickly; better yet, the entire show would end and he could be back in his hotel room safe in bed or safe in the bathroom...whichever provided him with relief.

Just as Nick was thinking about bolting towards the exits, Kevin’s hand clamped down on his arm. “We’re on.”

“God get me through this please,” Nick moaned as he put the fake Backstreet Smile on his face.

Showtime once again.

45 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 45

“Oh my god.... check out the rack on that one, wouldja?” AJ whispered as he lowered his trademark sunglasses. “Mmmmmm, sweet Jesus, that is one hell of a mountian I’d like to climb on and su---ouch, why the fuck did you do that for asshole?”

“People can read lips and besides, you’re drooling,” Brian whispered harshly.

“Oh mister goodie two shoes don’t like me appreciating women?”

“Not the way you’re appreciating them.”

“But I am admiring God’s work dude.”

“Not the way He intended.”

“Nicky, you like the hooters on her didn’t you?”

Nick rubbed a sweaty hand over his eyes, mumbling.

“Huh? What did you say Kaos?” After waiting a few moments for a clearer response, AJ patted the side of Nick’s face. “Earth to... christ, you feel hot!”

“I told you I was sick,” Nick muttered, keeping his eyes down.

“Nick, you look like you’re attending a funeral instead of an award show, smile, people are watching you and taking pictures,” Lou Pearlman stated as he looked at the group seated at the round table.

“Nicky says he doesn’t feel good, again,” Brian announced, voice dripping with sarcasim as he rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, I think he’s got the flu or something,” AJ added. “He’s got the shits.”

Pearlman patted the young boy on the shoulder. “I’m sure it will pass.”

“That flu drink didn’t work, I got the flu anyways.” Nick mumbled.

Lou laughed off his concerns about Nick’s reaction to the laxative. “Maybe you took it too late.”

Kevin’s head snapped up when he heard the conversation. “What flu drink?”

“Oh, it’s nothing to be concerned over. This is between me and the boy, right Nicky?”

As Kevin was preparing to get to the bottom of the ‘flu drink’, dessert was being passed around the table.

“Better eat all of it Nick, you need to keep your strength up,” Lou advised before he turned back to his own table.

Howie, Brian, Kevin and AJ looked at each other with questioning eyes.

‘Eat all of it Nick?’ Howie mouthed; his face in shock as his eyes went from the slouched teen to the rich dessert that was in front of him to his brother’s eyes.

Each of them were in shock over the obese manager’s words to their young brother who was battling his not-so-private war against weight gain and the constant pressure of family and fans and being under constant scrutany.

Instead of picking a fork up and digging into the calorie laden dessert, Nick quietly shoved the plate away, groaning.

“Okay, you really must be sick,” Brian stated softly.

”AND THE WINNER OF THE BEST POPGROUP FOR 1998.... BACKSTREET BOYS!”

A blinding spotlight shone on the table that they were seated at, jerking the boys from their preoccupiation over their ailing bandmate.

“Nicky, we won! C’mon,” Howie urged as he nudged his little brother’s shoulder.

Nick looked around the table with a feverish gaze. The lights were beginning to hurt his eyes and he couldn’t stand upright if his life depended upon it. Howie instintively but an arm around the young boy’s shoulders; walking alongside him as the rest of the group bounded up the stage to accept the award.

Kevin took the usual role of spokesman for the group, accepting the award and then one by one each of the boys stood up quickly to the microphone to say thank yous. When Nick’s turn came, he made a small attempt at a peace sign and that wasn’t even held up for anyone past the second row of tables to see.

“Are you gonna be alright?” Howie leaned over to Nick as he walked off stage.

Spying a restroom, Nick darted away from his brothers and quickly slammed the door behind him. He didn’t care that he nearly knocked down one of the Spice Girls in his quest for relief. At this point he could have care less about running down anyone that stood in his way.

He made it to the toilet in the nick of time; gagging as his stomach churned and twisted, forcing what little was inside back out. His eyes watering from the pain and the fact that he was heaving so hard that he barely had time to take a breath.

Thousands of miles away from home there were only two thoughts that entered Nick Carter at this moment as he was heaving his guts out: 1) he wanted to be home in his own bed and 2) he wanted his mom.

“Nick? Are you okay?”

Shaking his head when he heard Kevin’s concerned voice muffled through the solid door, Nick wished he could disappear. He knew that Kevin was asking because he cared, but now Nick wondered how many other people would be standing outside the door when he decided he was ready to face the world again.

“I’m f-fi...”

Nick couldn’t finish his sentance because another wave of nausea hit him and he had to put his face back down into the porcelin bowl. Between his heaves he thought he heard the sound of the door knob rattling.

“Open the door!”

Wiping the tears from his cheeks, Nick flushed the toilet. He was at the sink washing his hards when his body announced a new and urgent need. Barely getting his pants undone and down, it came with such urgency, he knew that if he had been sitting someplace else other than at this backstage facility, he would have certainly shit his pants.... literally.

“Nick.... are you alright? Let me in please!”

“I’m sick,” he squeaked.

Kevin stared at the closed door, wishing he could will it open with his mind - telepathically. He heard the gagging from his little brother and he felt the ache in his heart knowing that this was one of the worst possible things that could be happening to the young teen at this moment.

Finally, the door slowly opened and a pale, sweaty teen emerged.

“They said we need to get into our stage clothes for the song,” Brian announced to the group quietly, his voice sounded apologetic as he glanced over at Nick when he spoke.

Nick’s eyes widened when he heard Brian’s words. “No, I c-can’t,” he mumbled. Suddenly he grabbed Kevin’s arm in a tight grip. “Please don’t make me do this,” he tearfully pleaded.

“Room 15, down this hall and it’s on the left,” a stage hand stated.

Kevin nodded his understanding and started off in the direction the stage hand pointed, motioning to the rest of the group with the back of his hand.

Nick burst into tears when they finally reached the room. The mixture of feeling sick was topped off when he saw Lou Pearlman sitting on the small couch inside of the dressing room.

“Nick’s too sick to be going out there for our set,” Kevin stated as he placed a comforting hand on the young boy’s shoulder.

“Nonesence,” the manager growled. “He can do his job.”

Kevin’s mouth dropped open. “I’m telling you he’s sick. He was in the bathroom a few minutes ago heaving his guts out.”

Pearlman sized up the pale blonde. “Well, his color’s a little off, but he’s been through worse times. Just go do what you’re paid to do and then you can go back to the hotel and sleep until the meet and greet in the morning.”

“He needs a red card Lou,” AJ snapped.

“What more are you going to make this kid go through? He’s only human and you’re treating him like he’s here for your beckon call. You already disobeyed doctors orders and now he’s finally sick and you still won’t bother to look past your fat wallet!”

The manager narrowed his eyes when Howie’s outburst hung in the air. “That will be enough out of you! This is a business and in a business you do what you’re told to do. Period. Now get your stage clothes on!”

Looking over at the teary eyed boy, Howie shrugged his shoulders. “We tried Nick, I’m sorry.”

Nick numbly took the clothing off the rack. His stomach was growling and nausea was forming like a knot at the base of his throat. He didn’t know how he’d be able to pull of this show. He had been sick numerous times on stage, but those times were different. Tonight he was sick from both ends and he didn’t know how he’d be able to sing let alone dance!

To make matters worse, the tailor neglected to alter the costume that was chosen for tonight’s performance. Nick noticed that immediately when he stepped into the pants. The material hugged his thighs like a second skin.

Doing as best as he could, Nick drew in his breath as he tried to fasten the button over his sore gut. After several tries, he gave up and wanted to crawl behind something whe he knew that he probably looked like he had been poured into the tight fitting garment.

His dilemma hadn’t gone unnoticed. AJ saw the definate “love handles” that were riding the edge of the waistband and almost made a smart comment but kept his mouth closed. He didn’t want to cause anymore discomfort for Nick than he was already experiencing.

Grabbing the black shirt, Nick quickly slipped it on, praying that it would conceal the problem with his tight pants. He was thrilled when the material went past the waistband, unaware of how awful the shirt looked on him.

He didn’t notice, but everyone else did.

Pearlman cast his stone eyed gaze upon the sick boy, taking in his out of shape appearance. He decided that the measures he was taking for getting Nick back in shape was the right thing to do. If he had allowed the kid to have free reign on his eating, he surely would have grown to become the size of a Backstreet Boy and a half and wouldn’t be able to perform ever again, thus his money maker would make money for him no more.

A knock on the door told the boys that they were needed backstage for mirophone adjustments before heading onstage. Pearlman heaved his bulky frame off the sofa and followed the young men; keeping his eyes trained on the sickly teen.

Kevin kept glancing towards his baby brother while the headset was being adjusted. Nick’s almost appeared a shade of grey and his eyes didn’t look “right” to him either. He took his attention from Nick to cast a glare toward the obese manager. The site of the man grinning, made Kevin’s blood pressure sky rocket. He suddenly jerked away from the sound tech; his sound box dangling down his back.

“Sir... sir!”

“How can you stand there and smile? Nick is clearly sick! What is it going to take for you to realize you’ve pushed that kid too far? Does he have to collapse onstage?” Kevin became upset when the manager didn’t even bother to acknowledge him. “How about we just don’t sing, we’ll protest. What do you think about that?”

Kevin’s last words caught the manager’s attention. Lou Pearlman drew in a quick breath and replied in a low whisper, “You’ll never be in the enterainment industry again. I’ll make sure of that Richardson. Now be a good Backstreet Boy and get your headset on and your ass out there on the goddamned stage!”

It wasn’t the words that the man uttered that sent chills down the dark haired singer’s spine; it was the tone of voice the man used. There was something that he couldn’t explain that actually made him fear the man. Maybe this is what had happened to Nick when he was stranded with Pearlman after he lost his passport.

The sound tech timidly attached the headset sound box onto to back of Kevin’s waistband. The staredown between Kevin and Lou was broken only after the host announced the group. For a few tense moments, Kevin didn’t move. The rest of the boys wondered what was happening.

Breaking his stare, Kevin rushed toward Nick and whispered into his ear, “Are you sure you’ll be alright to do this?”

Fingering the mouthpiece on his headset, Nick managed a slight nod in reply.

~*~*~*~*~
The two song set seemed to go on forever. The whole time Kevin kept looking over at his brother worry etched on his face. Nick’s face looked ashen, sweat poured down his face, his hair was plastered to his head. Even his voice was a testament to how poorly the young man was feeling. He didn’t know how Nick could do what he was doing; this kid was driven by some innerforce.

Fear of failure?

Grabbing Nick’s hand, the group bowed, Nick only bowed the first time, the rest of the guys bowing the last couple of times.

Nick slid his sweaty hand out of Kevin’s grasp and bolted for backstage toward safety and more imporant to the bathroom. He had been fighting the nausea the entire performance, and the feeling in his stomach told him it was time to hurl. He knew he wouldn’t be able to hold it off anymore.

He was within 20 feet of the bathroom door when he was jerked back by a strong hand on his arm.

“Get back out there!”

Nick looked into the eyes of the stout man, shaking his head furiously, jerking the headset off.

“I said get back out there! The audience is still applauding!”

As Nick opened his mouth to ask the manager to let him go, the worst possible thing happened to him.

The humiliation that Nick felt at that moment when he stopped heaving, was turned into absolute panic when he looked at the damage he had caused to Mr. Pearlman’s expensive suit and shoes. To add to the embarrassement, there were several people milling around backstage that included his peers in the music industry as well as technicians. Out of nowhere, a white towel was thrust toward Lou. The stench of vomit hung in the air.

Blinded by his tears, Nick could only apologize over and over as Pearlman tried to dab the vomit from his clothing. He could have sworn he heard laughter, and the frustration of the moment caught Nick up in not recognizing reality from imagination. He was certain that everyone was laughing at him.

Everyone but Lou Pearlman.

He quickly fled toward the bathroom and slammed the door behind him, locking it. Sobbing, he sank to the floor.

Nick decided he had failed again. This time it was in front of everyone. He had only showed them that he couldn’t handle fame. In their eyes he had gotten sick from being up in front of people.

How could he ever face anyone again?

46 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 46

"What did you do with that kid?" Johnny growled, storming into the backstage dressing room where Lou Pearlman was changing his outfit after the disaster that had occured. Nick had hosed him down pretty good and they had to call for a new change in clothing as Mr. Pearlman was going to attend the awards after party. This was easier said than done since the manager wasnīt exactly wearing the smallest size in clothes.

Turning toward the black man who radiated nothing but anger, Mr. Pearlman mumbled, "What do you mean by that?" Narrowing his eyes he continued, "I havenīt done anything that the boy didnīt agree upon."

"Bullshit! You told Nick that the health drink would CURE him NOT make him this bad. Somehow I donīt think that this is what the kid expected. That he would practically turn his intestines inside and out, especially on an important day like this!" Johnny spat, not hiding the anger that was fuming inside of him like a furnace ready to explode.

"Man, take it easy," Lou grinned, trying to calm the hot tempered manager down, "I said that I was keeping the boys health under control and his weight, and I didnīt hear you complain about this earlier?"

"That was just beacuse I didnīt think that the outcome would be this violent. For crying out loud Lou the kid is sicker than a dog. He is puking both ways." Johnny’s eyes were black with anger. "I really think that spiking his health drink with laxative was taking it one step too far. Now the kid is too sick too perform, and this is NOT something we need right now."

Lou snorted, "It has to be more than that small dose of milk of magnesia I gave him. He probably caught that flu bug that’s going around. God knows the kid is like a human fly paper!" Fastening the belt around his vomniuos stomach he continued, "Nick will thank me one day for this!"

" Thank you? Are you out of your mind?" The anger that was pent up inside the black manager over the way Lou Pearlman treated the people in this business, like they were replaceable animals, was seeping out. He felt bad knowing that he hadnīt exactly treated the kid the best himself. He more than often looked upon him like he was something that the cat had dragged in. He felt that Nick sometimes was often more of a nuisance than a benefit. No matter how angry and demonic Johnny could be at times the thought had never crossed him to make the kid this ill. Especially not on a BIG day like this. He knew how much the kid had looked forward going to this one, and he felt that Nick had deserved to celebrate and not be stuck inside the restroom, too sick to either move or speak.

Not listening to the manager Lou continued, "Ýou and me both know that Nick is startig to gain a little too much weight for his own good. Iīve had a long talk with the boy and he agreed to control his intake on food. This is more than I can say when he was staying with you." There were a hint of sarcasm in the fat man’s voice. "To help him in the process I gave him a health drink and he will be grateful in the future that I helped him in a situation like this. He is starting to become fat, and fat donīt sell. Didnīt you see how he looked on stage?"

The fury build up inside Johnny as he growled loudly, "Speeding up the process! My ass! You canīt give him laxative the way you did. He is just a kid for crying out loud."

"A kid with obligations," Lou stated calmly. "Relax friend." He patted Johnny on the shoulder in a degrading way, "This is a well tested recipe that has helped overweight people loose and control their weight. It is fast and no effects from this one. Not dangerous at all. It causes some small discomfort for a short time and then it is over."

"Tell that to kid right now, or god, tell it to the rest of the boys." Johnny sneered since he wasnīt buying Lou’s pityful excuse to get Nick to diet. Okay, he agreed that the kid was starting to look a little chubby, but to give him a large dose of Milk of Magnesia, a does that was so bad that it literally could wipe out a whole population was a large step. In the wrong direction!

"Youīre making it sound like this is bad. For your information this is a well tried method used with models when they want to keep in shape."

"Nick is not a model!" Johnny spat.

"No but he is the girl’s pet and we need him to stay in shape and young as long as possible. Both you and me knows that Nick sells, and he is the golden boy that feeds our mouths. I really think that we can take better care of our investment so it doesnīt run out of profit." Lou grinned.

Johnny felt sick! So this was the way Lou looked upon the boys? As an investment!! Shaking his head he couldnīt believe that this was the same man that once again took the guys under his protective wing, acting like a dad for them. Not that the teen didnīt get on his nerves sometimes, NO the kid could bug the hell out of him with his endless questions and immature ways. Yet he had to confess that he liked the boy. He had his own unique personality, and even if he was often as hyped up as a Mexican jumping bean he was still very likeable. What Johnny had a hard time dealing with was the moody teen that was more and more getting himself known. The manager was also a bit stressed out over the fact that he was in the process of building up another boyband from scratch. It was a new group of teenagers that Lou had put under his protection. Their name was Nīsync!

"Anyway someone has to take the kid back to the hotel," Johnny concluded, "he is in no shape to go to the after party."

"NO he would probably just end up puking on someone else," Lou said with disgust. The thoughts that he had about the blonde were not very nice and Johnny feared that Nick was in a worse position than he had ever been before. Vomit on Lou was not something you did without punishment, even if it was accidental. The manager waved with his diamond dressed fingers, "That is your problem!"

Johnny sighed deeply, "One of us has to go back with him." He wasnīt too happy either since he would have rather gone to the after party where there was free liquor and food, than babysitting the kid throughout the night. But at the same way he felt sorry for the kid too. This had to be one of the most humilating moments in the kid’s history. He didnīt want to rub it in, knowing that Nick felt enough bad as it was.

"This is MY big night!" Lou stated with a motion, "I own the Backstreet Boys and if you think that Iīm going to let some spoiled brat that ate too much ruin this you better think twice again." Looking at the manager he said with a shrug, "Send Brian. He can take care of his little friend. After all the boys are Frick and Frack, arenīt they?" The voice dripped with sarcasm.

"NO Brian is needed for the press!" Johnny commented, "Iīll take the kid back myself." His voice was being firm, " That boy needs to get into bed."

"Yeah...yeah " Lou waved the manager away. He didnīt care about Nick’s health as long as the boy was up and going again, like an engine. "But donīt forget that the boy has obligations to do tomorrow. To go to the meet and greet."

"The kid is in no shape to do that!" Johnny set his eyes into the top manager. "If you didnīt trick him he wouldnīt be heaving his guts out right now. I really wonder what the rest of the guys would say if they knew this!

"I would leave this alone if I were you. This is something between me and Nickolas." His voice was low, threatningly.

"Well you are not ME, are you?" Johnny snarled back.

"I suggest that you better rethink what you are saying now since the tax authorities would be more than happy to find out about those small businesses you made through out the years that the books weren’t kept on either."

Bastard! "Youīre blackmailing ME?"

"Oh," Lou laughed, "I wouldnīt call it blackmailing. Iīm just informing you about certain things that could get rather ugly if they were leaked out to the media." Lou looked like a snake to Johnny and for a moment he couldnīt understand how he could be wrapped up in this dirty business. "But if you forget the little deal that me and Nicky has then I won’t spill one word."

"Oh God, you ARE really blackmailing me!" Johnny was taking in the words slowly. He felt even more physically sick than he ever thought was possible, having to sell Nick to save his own ass.

"Okay Wright, if you rather want to run that pitiful business of yours while ratteling prison bars, be my guest." There was nothing kind in Lou’s smile. His eyes were hard and cold.

This was unbelievable. His boss was threatning him if he revealed how bad the boys, especially Nick was treated by the big Daddy, Mr Lou Pearlman! Too afraid that his own ass would be fried, Johnny decided to look the other way over this business. He didnīt want to drag his own family through the dirt and also alot of boybands depended on him. This was what he decided so his guilt wouldnīt eat him up alive. Mentally Johnny decided that he would give Lou an respite. If the kid would continue to be this sick he would throw in the towel.

But for now it wouldnīt hurt Nick to get rid off some of that baby fat. Once and for all, Johnny reasoned.

******************************************************
"Hey Kid, how are you doing?" Johnny boomed, knocking on the bathroom door. The kid had went inside as soon as they had come back to the hotel and had not come out for a long while. This was starting to scare Johnny a bit. "No jerking off in there ya hear," he joked, trying to lighten up the situation.

A loud groan was heard. It sounded like someone that was on the verge of dying. Ratteling the door handle, Johnny was ready to grab a tool desperate to open up the door when a pale face appeared. Sweat pearled on the teen’s forhead, his blonde hair plastered to his skull like a helmet. If death would be personalized Johhny bet that this is what he would look like.

"You want to get to bed?" the manager asked as he tried to steady the swaying teen. All he received was a blank glass eyed stare before Nick walked on wobbly legs towards the wanted bed. "Whoaaa," Johnny was there with a helping hand as the blonde tilted dangerously. "Take it easy." This was worse than when Nick had been drunk at New Years, hell this was worse than ANY time that Nick had been wasted. That wouldnīt say little.

Placing the young man on the bed, he helped him take off his shoes and then the dress pants. To his dismay he noticed that Nick had really started to gain weight, but he knew that this would soon be a memory if Lou kept up with the cure like he intended to do.

"I can do that myself," Nick mumbled when Johnny tried to hoist his sweatsoaked T-shirt over the head. With fumbling hands he tried to take over the task. This was a futile attempt since his hands were shaking too bad, his whole body wracked with chills.

"No let me do it." Johnny’s voice was gentle when he helped Nick to lay down in the bed. The teen closed his eyes immediately. It was like the sickness had drained him of all energy and he just wanted to crawl ínto a ball and sleep the night away. Yet he knew that it would be futile since the spasms still wracked his body, not even allowing him to keep any water down or inside. The fact that he was pouring like the Niagara Falls from both entrances, sometimes at the same time, didnīt improve the situation either. He couldnīt remember the last time he had been this sick. As violently ill as he was it had to be a bad case of food poisoning. What else could have caused him to become this sick?

"You want something to drink?" Johnny asked, picking up a glass from the desk. Nick shook his head. "No I donīt think I can keep it down." His voice weak and shaky.

Johnny felt sorry for the kid. It couldnīt be all that nice to be thousands miles from home, stuck in a hotel room, feeling this shitty. He wet a towel which he handed to Nick, "Here, put this on your forehead and you might feel a bit better." Nick looked up. This was a side that he had seldom encountered within the manager. A soft and comforting side. If Nick didnīt know better he would think that the manager acted like he was guilty over something. But that had to be his sick mind playing tricks with him, he concluded. The fever was running in his veins, making it hard for him to think straight, clear thoughts.

"Thanks," Nick accepted the towel with shaky hands. It felt good to cool off his hot face, and he felt a bit better as he felt the cold cloth on his forehead. His head didnīt ache as furiously anymore. This had been one of the worst nights ever in his eighteen year old life and he hoped that he would never have to relive this again. Having the shits sucked, but what was worse was throwing up on Mr. Pearlman when all of the important people in the music business was watching. He could swear that he saw Jon BonJovi in the background, laughing. He would be the laughing stock of the year.

Nick groaned. The headlines of tomorrows newspaper were outlined in his mind "Nick Carter, Backstreet Boys making a speech for entertainment!" And then they would show a close up off him hosing down his manager. Everything was suddenly starting to get too much and Nick could feel the tears prick in his eyes. Moaning he mumbled, "I wanna go home."

"Is it that bad?"

" Mmm.." Nick shut his eyes tightly riding out another bout of nausea rinsing over him, combined with a new set of cramps. It wouldnīt surprise him if he would have to go for another trip to the facilities. Crawling into a ball he did his best to block out the discomfort that burned in his stomach. The loud rumblings came from deep within. The cramps having him in a tight grip made him sob, "Mom! I want my mom."

Johnny looked at the kid. Did he just call out for his mom? Sighing the man felt on the sick boys forehead. He was burning up. "Man you sure hit this flu bug bad." He stroked away a damp string of hair from the boy’s cheek. All he got back as a response was a choked back sob. The kid was crying.

"Shhh calm down," the manager whispered, trying to soothe the kid the best he could. Nick shivered in bed, wrapping his arms around himself, trying to sooth the pain he was feeling surge through the whole body. Moaning he tried to sit up. He caught the situation at once. "You need to go again?"

Nick nodded, barely visible. Johnny was there with an helping arm, " Here lean on this." He tried to hoist the kid to stand up. "There you go," he continued, more or less carrying the sick teen into the bathroom. His legs too weak and wobbly to walk by his own. "You think you can manage now?" he asked as he sat Nick down on the bowl.

The teen blushed, "Iīm..Iīm so..sorry," he stuttered, his face as red as a cooked lobster. " Iīm sorry."

"That is okay," Johnny said gently, "Donīt worry. This happens to the best of us." He handed the teen the trashcan. "Just in case you need it, you know." All he got back was a nod as when the kid squeezed his eyes hard, bracing himself against the pain. He ruffled the kid on his head, "Iīll be outside, shout if you need anything." He closed the door just as Nick was wracked with another painful spasm.

Johnny winced. That didnīt sound too good. If the kid kept this up he was forced to take him to a doctor and this was something that he wanted to prevent as long as possible. A doctor would spot what Lou was up to and even if Johnny was innocent he would still be dragged into the dirt.

'Fuck Lou,' he growled inside him, upon hearing the whimpers coming from the bathroom facilities. 'If this kept up the manager could kill the kid!' Yet there wasn’t much he could do about the situation, afraid about saving his own skin.

Listening to the moans he wanted to do something to help the kid. He would call Nick’s mother if he could, but Jane and Bob were touring with Aaron and Nick’s siblings. Besides it would upset them too grately if they found out what Mr. Pearlman was doing to the kid. His own wife, Donna, was another option, but knowing from past experiences Nick and Donna didnīt get along that great together. Especially not since Nick had given Donna gum that tasted like fish! He wished that AJīs mother, Denise wasnīt back in the states. She would be great in dealing with a situation like this. Now he was left alone, taking care of a sick kid.

It was going to be a long night!

47 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 47

"Hi J, howīs it goin’?" Brian asked, slapping his hand on his friend’s back. "Did it get late?" His witty squirrel eyes peered at the man with the slumped posture infront of him.

A grunt was heard, "Man!" AJ, who sat and picked at his breakfast not having any appetite whatsoever after last nights partying, looked up with blearly eyes. "How can you be so damn cheerful this early in the morning?"

"Early?" Brian said with a grin on his face, "Jay itīs ten o clock. It’s almost time for lunch."

"Donīt mention food," AJ groaned, pushing the plate away from him with a disgusted frown.

"That bad?" Brian chuckled, "Jeeze you should have stopped when we told you to. Dude you sure are hungover."

"Yeah.....yeah." AJ mumbled, waving Brian away. "Rub it in." Hanging his head low he moaned, "Man I feel like shit. I need some tylenol."

"I can tell buddy," He patted AJ on his shoulder again, lightly, "But you better get into shape since we have an interview for MTV after lunch."

"You gotta be shitting me!" his friend said, peering under his dark sun glasses. "For real?"

"Yup. Lou came to me and asked me to tell you."

AJ groaned miserably, rubbing his temples in round smooth circles, "There is no way in hell Iīm doing that today." He pouted like a small kid who refused to eat dinner. "I think Iīve caught whatever shit Nick has."

Brian laughed at his friend, "Dude, what you have isnīt the FLU, it’s more a bad case of inducing too much intoxicating substances, also known as a hangover!"

"Whatever." AJ was in no mood to get into an argument. He sighed loudly before continuing,"Nick is still sick."

Brian nodded, sadly, "Yeah, I know." He sat down next to his long time friend. "But when did that ever stop Lou?"

AJ glared at his brother."What? Youīre not saying that the bastard is going to make Nick do that interview too? That is fucking insane. He will hurl on the camera!" He shook his head, still taking in the information. "You gotta be kidding, man. Nicky is no shape to do anything besides shit and moan!."

"AJeee!" He sighed, "Yeah I know it would be bad. I thought that Nick was going to pass out yesterday."

AJ ran his hand with a tired gesture through his spiked hair. "Tell me about it. The dude was so sick yesterday that even Johnny got concerned and he stayed with him all night. He was up taking care of Nicky when I came back."

"He did?" Brian sounded surprised, adding with a frown, "Dude where did you get to sleep then?"

A grin lit up AJīs face, "Who said that I did?"

"JAY?? Youīre not saying that you have been up all night!"

AJ kept grinning. "No not really."

"What do you mean then?" Brian frowned. "Been drinking?"

"Eh.." AJ laughed. 'God Brian can be so gullible,' he thought before adding, "You know that tall blonde with those reindeer legs?

"Mhmm.."

"Ka..Katrin something?"

"Yes?" There were impatience in his friends voice.

"Patience.... patience," AJ said with a grin, just to be hit on his head with a newspaper, "Ouch that hurt," he muttered, rubbing his sore skull. Brian batteling with him didnīt make him feel any better.

"Now spill it!" Brian hissed through gritted teeth. He held up the newspaper, threathingly. "Or else.."

"Okay, okay," AJ laughed, ducking down."Okay she is the one I spent the night with!"

Brian didnīt sound too pleased, "Okay and I take it that you two didnīt actually sleep."

"Nope." AJ grinned, "She was a real wild cat...meeoowww. That girl sure could scratch!"

There was no amusement in his friends eyes, "I donīt want to spoil your wild night but..," he started, getting interrupted.

"Then donīt." The tone was hard.

Ignoring the comment Brian continued, "I wonder what Amanda will say when she finds out that you have been cheating on her?"

AJ narrowed his eyes, "Nothing 'cause she wonīt."

Brian shook his head, "You canīt go on and play with others while you are with her. She will leave you once she finds out. If you love her you better stop doing this."

The words hit AJ rather hard, "That is none of your damn business." He stood up quickly, "I donīt have to sit here, listening to you preaching and acting like you never done anything bad. You are so fucking righteous that it makes me sick!" With that he pushed the chair aside walking briskly out of the room.

"Bone!" Brian called towards his friend, getting no response. When the skinny man was out of the picture he leaned his head in his hands, groaning.

Everything was falling apart!

They were on their midst of their success and it was all turning into pieces. AJ was partying more and more and had a new girl every night. This while he was still living with Amanda. He was acting like a rebel without a brain! Brian snorted. AJ often tried to act cool, when all he was, was a large chickenshit!

Nick on the other hand was someone that Brian was getting seriously concerned about. He was being moody all the time, very far from his own happy self. More down in the dumps, depressed, overeating and catching every bug that came around. He was not in a good mental or physical state at all. Totally exhausted!

Howie was the one that was worried for his sister who was suffering from Lupus. He was not as happy and outgoing as he used to be, even if he still went out partying with AJ. Brian thought that he needed a girl, but he had never seen Sweet D' date the one and same girl several times. He knew that Howie had an eye on one of the makeup girls named Sondra, but he was much too shy to hit on her.

Kevin, was exhausting himself. The flu had hit him pretty hard and he was still not entirely over that bug. He wanted everything to be perfect, and this he rubbed off to the rest of them. Ironically it was Kevin and Nick who wanted it all to do perfect! Brian knew that Kevin was also looking out for the group like a big brother and he had too many wrinkles on his forehead for someone that still was young. He also missed his girlfriend Kristen. Alot. But what bugged him the most was that he thought that their management was screwing them all. He was doing his best to try to find a legal loop hole in the contract so they could leave the Wright’s, but especially Lou Pearlman!

Brian had his own problems. Healthwise. His doctor wanted him to have surgery as soon as possible, but his management had refused. They were over booked, and he had to do this European tour before he could get under the knife. When Brian had tried to explain that this was not something that he could afford to be without, Lou had answered with an ultimatum. Push the date back or look for another job! In fact they could all look for another job!

The smiles. The Backstreet smiles that they plastered on their faces were all false. Not one time did they hint how desperate and sad they felt deep inside. No one could tell, and it was all part of the business-

Smile, smile, smile.

****************************************************

The smell of sickness hung low in the hotelroom and the patient in question, sat in bed propped up against several pillows, a tray on his legs. Hot steaming tea and two pieces of toast lay infront of him. "Johnny, Iīm not sure that I can eat anything."

"You have to eat something so that you get better." Frowning he took in Nick’s pale complexion. It wasnīt too long ago that the boy had stopped turning his body inside and out and after a couple of hours of restless sleep, it was time to try and get some nutrition into the poor kid. It had been a violent but fast "bug".

"I canīt eat," the teen whined, sounding like a five year old, tears filling his eyes. He pushed the tray away, "Iīm sorry." The voice was weak and shaky.

"Itīs okay kid." Noticing Nick fidgeting in bed, looking uncomfortable he asked, "You need to go again?"

"No!" A hint of red spread on the boy’s cheeks.

"Hey it’s nothing to be ashamed of. We all have the runs sometime." Nick blushed even more. Looking at the kid with compassion Johnny felt sorry for him. Being sick was bad, but being sick stuck in a small hotel room thousands and thousands miles from home was down right awful. "What is it then?"

Nick blushed again, "Um..uh my ass hurts."

He sounded so patethic that Johnny had to smile, "Oh Nicky Iīm sorry but I canīt do anything about that." A small chuckle escaped, "Maybe you can use baby tissues next time you have to wipe your ass."

"Ha ha ha, not funny," Nick muttered, "I donīt think that you would be laughing if you were in my shoes."

"Yes I know," Johnny patted him lightly on his shoulder, "Listen kid, I know that you feel bad, but I want you to try to rest up so you can manage it at the concert this evening."

Nick wanted to cry. He felt like "shit", but he still knew his obligations. No matter how bad he felt he wouldnīt be able to get out of that show. It wasnīt the first time he had preformed sick, and he guessed that it wouldnīt be his last either. Crawling deep under his warm, comforting covers he watched the older man walking around in the room, picking up clothes.

Nick smiled briefly.

"What?" Johnny asked, a bit puzzled, "Something wrong?"

"No," The teen shook his head, "I just thought it was kind of funny to see you act like my dad." Closing his mouth he awaited the reaction. 'Shit why did I have to say that?' Johnny didnīt like being laughed at and it wasnīt long ago that the manager had been on his case all the time. Eyes nervously fickered as he held his breath.

"Nick, I AM a dad!" the black man chuckled. A knock on the door interupted their conversation. It was probably one of the boy’s that came to see how their little brother were doing. The knock was persistant. "Iīm coming." Johnny shouted back, opening the door, just to be met with his boss, Nick’s head manager Lou Pearlman.

"What do YOU want?"

"I came to see how Nick was doing."

Johnny contemplated whether or not he should shut the door in the manager’s face, then decided against it, "Donīt you think that you have done enough damage?" he hissed.

Narrowing his eyes, cold as stone, Lou commented, "Watch it Wright. I can just as easily make that call and you." He pointed at Johnny’s chest with the newspaper he had rolled up in his hand, "are gone..history!"

Upon hearing this, Johnny backed away letting the manager inside.

"I knew that you would come to your senses," Lou grinned and Johnny glared.

In his bed Nick watched the scenario, puzzled. Why were the manager’s acting so hostile towards each other? Did it have something to do with him? His thoughts were interrupted by Lou’s booming voice.

"Hi Nick. How are you feeling?" He walked up to the teen placing a hand on his forehead, not waiting for an answer he said, "You seem alot better and Iīm sure that you will recover in no time." He sat down on the large armchair, "Iīll take over Nick for now, you go and grab some breakfast." He waved the manager away, "You go!"

Johnny snorted, suspecious over the sudden friendly touch that his boss showed. Shaking his head he said, "No I can order something up, besides Nick needs me."

Nick thinking that he was doing the men a favor said with a weak smile, "I feel much better, I can manage on my own."

"No," Johnny shook his head, suddenly feeling protective. It was something in Lou’s eyes that he didnīt like and he feared that the manger didnīt have all good intentions with his visit. "Iīll stay here with Nick."

“Donīt be so stubborn." Lou laughed, "You heard what the boy said. He is feeling better, besides me and Nick will manage fine." He looked at the teen who looked ready to crawl out of his skin. Sensing the fear he continued, "Itīs nothing to be afraid of, you and me will just have a short talk."

"Okay," Nick didnīt believe him. Neither did Johnny. "No Lou Iīll stay. Nick might get sick again. He even said he didnīt feel that good, didnīt you kid?" He hinted towards Nick that he would follow his tracks but the kid was either stupid, feverish or plain scared.

"I am fine."

"Oh that is good." Lou laughed with a fake cheerfulness. "I told you that you would recover pretty fast from this flu bug." He ruffled Nicks hair. The teen stiffened.

"Flu my ass!" Johnny snorted.

"What did you say?" There was a hidden treath in his tone, "You go down and get something to eat, you look like you need some rest." Johnny was about to object when Lou added, "Iīm going to talk to Nick ALONE."

"Okay." The manager knew when he was defeated, "Iīll be back soon," he said to Nick a bit guiltily. He really didnīt want to leave the kid in Mr. Pearlman’s hands.

Nick nodded. Ever since Johnny had taken care of him last night he had grown to like the manager a bit better. If someone had told either of the guys a few days earlier that they would actually talk to each other without biting their head off they would have laughed, saying that the person was crazy.

"Sooo," Lou said slowly when Johnny closed the door behind him, "You managed to catch another bug didnīt you?" The friendly cheerfulness was gone, replaced with a hard and icy tone.

"I..d Iīm so..sorry," Nick stuttered, afraid that Lou would bash at him for the accident yesterday. "I..I didnīt..me...mean it. It..it just came." He blushed.

"Well next time you feel sick at least try to make it to the bathroom. Thingīs wonīt get so messy then." With a sigh he continued, "You managed to disgrace yourself infront of the whole music industry. They thought that you were drunk and I had to explain to them that you had the flu." He stopped for the moment, "If they believed me I have no idea."

"Thank you," Nick squeeked. Even if Lou wasnīt high on his list he still felt bad for hosing him down. Thinking that he had gotten away with it all and that the manager wasnīt going to bawl him out, the man suddenly threw the newspaper on the bed infront of him. Nick frowned with surprise.

"But that doesnīt justify looking like THAT!" He pointed with hís thick finger on a picture at the front page.

Reluctantly Nick looked at the big picture. It was a photo of them in show and under and the head line was; "Backstreet Boys hits the floor: 1998’s Best Pop Group." To him it didn’t look that bad. Not understanding what the manager was aiming for he asked, "I think it looks pretty good."

"It does?" Lou said sarcastically, "Take a closer look then."

Stunned Nick obeyed the older man. Taking a closer look through bleary feverish eyes he stared at the oject infront of him. What he saw hitting him like a slap in his face!

The picture stared back at him with such violence that he could have puked on the spot. He looked like a fat whale! The clothes seemed to be several sizes too small. They were clinging to him like a second skin and he looked like he had a big beer belly. Eighteen years old and he looked like a complete mess!

What was worst was the sentences under the picture. The ones about him!

’Even if the group is on the top, the performance had little to desire. The youngest member in the group, Nick Carter’s performance was mediocre. The Backstreet Baby is getting fat and he was breathing heavily into the microphone. He better work on that excerise if he wants to stay on top for long.’

The words hit him worse than if someone had shot him. He looked away, not wanting to even touch the newspaper. It grossed him out. How could someone be so cruel to write such nasty things was beyond his imagination! Didnīt they know that he was a human like everyone else, even if he was famous? It hurt him so much that he felt his eyes prick with tears.

Was he that fat and ugly?

Sensing Nick’s depressed mood Lou filled it up even more, "There you go Nicky, now you maybe see that we are not the only ones noticing that you are putting on too much weight." Staring at the teen he continued, "You better do something about your weight or you will end up looking like Elvis..in his later years." He chuckled at his own joke.

'Like you are the one that should talk fat bastard,' Nick thought, wiping his nose and eyes with the back of his hand. This was one of his worst nightmares. He had tried so hard to loose the pounds he had put on, yet he always ended up overeating again. It was a viscous circle that he couldnīt get out from.

He needed help!

A hand touched his shoulder. "Boy, I know it is hard to loose weight." The manager’s voice held a false tone of compassion. Nick nodded, holding his head down. Lou used the moment, "But I can help you."

Nick still not looking up muttered, "Yeah right, I will always be a fatass!" Life sucked so bad. He felt like he would becoming physically ill from being disgusted with himself. 'Why can’t people ever give me break?' he thought, feeling down.

"No," Lou squeezed the teen’s shoulder. "I know a substance that you can drink. Itīs not painful and you loose weight at the same time as you can eat all that you want."

The words held Nick’s interest, "Really?" He couldnīt believe what he was hearing. Was there actually a way to get rid of his fat without having to starve himself? Could he actually eat normally? "Is it dangerous?"

"No," Lou shook his head. "This is something that models often do, so itīs safe." He smiled friendly towards the young teen, noticing the excitement in the teen’s blue eyes.

"Then what is it? What is the secret formula?" Nick looked like a kid on Christmas Eve.

"Well actually I have it here but.." the manager stopped for a moment, "But Iīm not too sure that you should use it."

"Why?" Nick was almost screaming in that high tone that he did when he was either nervous or upset. "You said that it wasnīt dangerous or anything. Why canīt I use it?" There were a sigh of disappointment.

"Because it may cause you a little discomfort."

"What discomfort?" Nick sounded suspescious. "Will I get sick?"

"Oh noo, nothing like that. No no, it is more that it MIGHT cause you a little bit of an upset stomach. That is all." He smiled comfortingly towards the teen.

"Ok," Nick thought for a moment, "I guess that I can live with that, as long as I donīt get sick," he added with the speed of light.

The manager shook his head again, "No you wonīt. But I donīt want you to say anything to anyone about this."

"Why?"

"Because I think that the other boys have more important things on their mind than being concerned over that you are on a diet. Donīt you think so too, Nick?"

Scratching his head the teen mumbled, "Yeah I guess youīre right."

"Good." Lou smiled, patting the teen on his head, "then this is a deal between us two."

"Does Johnny know about this?"

"Yes," Lou nodded, "and he thinks that it is a good method too."

"He does?" Nick thought again, 'If Johnny thinks it is okay then it has to be. He never trusted Lou, but Johnny had proved to be pretty cool taking care of him and if the black man said that something was okay it was'. "Okay done deal then." He smiled. "Where is that magic stuff?" He looked expectantly over at the manager. "Are you hiding it?"

"Noo," Lou laughed, "as a matter of fact you already have it."

"I do?" Nick seemed confused.

"Yes, it is that small bottle that I handed to you yesterday."

Nick jerked back,uttering with a shrill voice, "You mean that stuff that made me sooo sick! There is no way that Iīm touching that stuff." Disappointment as well as fright shone in his eyes, seeing his only chance to get slim go down the drain.

"Calm down boy," Lou said putting his hand on Nick’s shoulder, but the damage was already done. Nick shrugged away. "Calm down no one wants to hurt you."

"Yeah," he muttered, "tell that to my stomach." He winced as the memory of the past 12 hours of hell flashed up infront of him.

"Son." Lou narrowed his eyes, "do I look like someone that wants to hurt you?"

Nick fidgeted uncomfortably, not knowing what to say or do. His intuition told him that Lou was not being nice to him, but his mind said that his manager would do nothing to hurt him. "No, I guess not." Nick mumbled, not looking the manager in his eyes.

"Good, well I thought so." Lou smiled. "The reason why you got so sick is beacuse the liquid flushed all that fat enzymes out of your system. Pretty soon you will be cleaned out and then you will loose weight!"

"Cleaned out?" Nick frowned. This sounded more and more disgusting. GROSS!!! He thought about backing out.

Sensing this Lou said quickly,"Donīt worry son, if you dont like it I promise that you can stop, okay? Just give it a chance first!"

Nodding, Nick bit his lip. He really didnīt want to do this, but he felt like he had no choice. He wanted, he needed to become thin, or else the fans and everybody would stop liking him. Stop loving him. He needed the attention!

"Okay Iīll do it." Nick mumbled, swallowing hard.

"Good," Lou grinned, "where did you put that bottle?"

"In my backpack," Nick said with certain hesitation.

"Okay," Lou searched down his backpack before coming up with the wanted item."You wonīt regret this" he patted the bottle like it was a jewelery. Then he handed it over to Nick who accepted it with hesitation, "Go on," Lou urged the teen, smiling towards him.

Taking the small plastic bottle, Nick looked at it before turning the cap off, taking a small taste. 'I hope youīre right, I really do!'

48 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 48

Sprawled on the couch, AJ looked up from the magazine he had been reading, watching Nick pick his way carefully down the aisle of the moving tour bus. There was something different about him, but AJ couldn’t put his finger on what. “Kaos, my little friend, how the fuck are you?”

Instead of the normal quick witted reply back from the blonde, Nick grunted and took the first seat sitting down quickly, bowing his head forward.

“Don’t you feel good buddy?”

Running his had quickly through his uncombed hair, Nick mumbled.

“What did you say?”

Sighing, he swallowed before he could speak. “I’m okay, just a little tired I guess.”

AJ arched an eyebrow as he studied his brother. “You’re not coming down with something again are you?”

The sound of the tires slapping the pavement was the only audible sound as Nick slowly shook his head. He didn’t feel good, but there was no way he would say anything to anyone about it, especially Mr. Pearlman. It wasn’t that he felt sick, Nick thought. It was more that he felt drained, weak and unsteady on his feet at times. He had been following the obese managers directions with the miracle weight loss drink for the past week, only taking small sips and riding out the effects several hours later. His stomach would cramp up and then he would find himself sitting on the throne for about thirty minutes and then he was done.

He had been sworn to secrecy about this miracle diet and Nick wouldn’t dare leak what was going on to his brothers. They would have to kill him to get him to break his agreement witht he manager. He had just finished another bout of diarrhea, compliments of the miracle drink and Nick decided that he was feeling this way because of it.

Although he had been following the instructions, Nick felt that he hadn’t lost a single pound. It took him a day before his stomach had finally settled down after the nonstop vomiting from the flu bug, and he was careful about what he ate and had even stopped snacking. His stomach seemed more bloated today than it had ever been. He rubbed it, trying to calm it down.

AJ picked up on the teen’s actions, grinning. “So when did you say you were due again?”

“Huh?”

AJ stood up and gestured at Nick’s stomach. “The baby, when is it coming again?”

“Leave me the hell alone!” Nick growled.

AJ snickered and stuck his stomach out, waddling as he walked toward the back of the bus.

“Asshole,” Nick mumbled, trying to fight off the tears he felt stinging his eyes. He pulled his tee shirt away from his stomach, hoping to fluff it away from clinging onto his body.

“What the heck has gotten into Bone?”

Closing his eyes, Nick groaned. He didn’t need to have someone else pick on him this afternoon and now Howie was getting involved.

“He was walking around by the kitchenette acting like he was pregnant or something and kept babbling on about pickles.”

“Who knows... he’s a psycho.”

“Nick you don’t look like you feel so hot,” Brian stated as he approached the teen. He placed a hand out to feel Nick’s forehead but was quickly slapped away.

”Don’t,” Nick hissed.

Looking dejected, Brian said in a soft voice, “I was only gonna see if you had a fever.”

Shaking his head, Nick sighed. “As if it would make a difference.”

Brian took the unoccupied seat next to his little brother. “I heard you in the bathroom this morning. I’m about ready to tell Johnny that you need a break for a few days. How long have you been sick?”

Groaning, Nick grabbed his ball cap and shoved it on his head, lowering the bill over his face. “I’m fine.”

“Nick, you could get dehydrated. This is something that could be serious...”

”I said I was fine!”

“Guys, we’re gonna be at the hotel in roughly ten more minutes,” Lou Pearlman warned as he walked into the seating quarters on the tour bus.

“Mr. Pearlman, I’m worried about Nick--”

“You’re always worrying about the boy,” the fat manager sighed. “What about now?”

Brian’s face turned a shade of crimson when he started telling the manager about Nick’s constant bouts of diarrhea.

“Foreign food does that to you. Carter just eats past his limits sometimes, I wouldn’t read into it,” Lou offered, looking at the young blond slouched in his seat. “Right Nickolas?”

“Yeah.” The reply was muffled by the ball cap that was laying over his face. He wished he the floor of the bus would open up and swallow him. Nick wondered how much more humiliation would be heaped on him. The next comment brought tears to his eyes.

“Carter, you look a little chunkier today. What have you been eating?”

Nick quickly jerked the hat off his face, glaring at the obese manager. ”You know exactly what I’ve been eating!”

Lou shifted his weight nervously as he stared at the boy, his mouth agape. Brian and Howie exchanged glances.

“Something going on--”

“Just skip it!” the manager interrupted. “Get your gear around, I don’t want to wait for you people when we arrive at the hotel!”

With that, the fat man quickly turned and waddled off towards the back of the bus.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick laid in the bed staring at the red glowing numbers on the night stand. The brilliant glow seemingly mocked not only the time but that fact that someone was actually awake and staring at the digits at this god forsaken hour of the night.

2:48

Rubbing his face as he listened to the steady hisses from Brian’s labored breaths, Nick turned over for practically the fortieth time in a span of fifteen minutes; placing a pillow tightly over his head. Evil thoughts sprung into his mind on how to silence his bandmate’s quiet snores.

Taking the pillow from his head, Nick tossed it over towards Brian’s side of the room. Leaning over to the night stand, he quietly slid the drawer open and grabbed his wallet.

He was bored, he couldn’t sleep, and his body was screwed up with the time changes. There was only one thing that Nick Carter did at night in a hotel when he was bored.

Raid the vending machines.

Dressed in boxers and an over sized tee shirt, Nick padded quietly to the door, grabbing the room card off the dresser as he walked by. Opening the door slightly, he peered out looking up and down the hall, mentally praying that it would be deserted. Only when he decided when the coast was clear did he leave his safe haven, wallet clutched tightly in his hand.

It only took a few moments before Nick spied the small room that contained the soda and snack vending machines. He was relieved to discover that it was tucked in a dead end hall.

Quickly slipping in paper currency, he started punching random numbers, not caring what type of snacks dropped to the bottom of the machine. After selecting several cans of soda, the money in his wallet was finally exhausted.

Hopes for slipping back into the hotel room unnoticed were quickly foiled when Nick heard voices further down the hall. Ducking behind a laundry cart, he squatted, hoping that the noises the chip bags in his arms made weren’t heard by the people that were walking near his hiding spot. His heart sank when he recognized the voice belonging to Lou Pearlman.

‘Shit don’t see me,’ Nick mentally cried; closing his eyes tight, as if that would help conceal him.

“Boy what you doing hiding?”

“I-I h-heard voices and I-I d-didn’t want to be seen,” Nick stammered his explanation, shifting his arms around the bags of snacks, soda cans still tucked under his arms.

“A bit hungry?”

Nick sighed. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t help it. Brian was snoring and I couldn’t sleep.”

“There’s no need to apologize to me son. I was just coming back from the hotel restaurant,” Lou replied, pulling a white handercheif from his pocket. Nick watched as the fat manager ran the cloth over his sweaty face. “If you weren’t dressed in your pajamas, I would take you down there.”

“Now? It’s like three in the morning. Besides, I’m suppose to be on a diet, remember?”

“That’s nonesence Nick, remember what I told you about the miracle drink? You can eat whatever you want.” The fat man gestured with his chubby index finger. “Come back with me to my room. I’ll order some room service. You’re probably starving.”

Nick hesitated, unsure of the manager’s intentions. “Oh, I don’t know, it’s late and stuff. I’ll just go back to my room and go to bed.”

The manager cast an evil glare at the young teen. “What I just said wasn’t a request. Come with me now!”

Reluctantly, Nick followed the manager’s orders and walked with him back to the hotel room. “Wow.... you have a nice room.”

“Suite,” Pearlman corrected as he laid the room card down on the dresser. He turned and stared at the blond, holding the snacks in his hands. “Put those down, I’m going to order some food. You can eat those as an appetizer.” Seeing Nick hesitate, the manager urged him. “Go ahead son, eat up.”

The fat manager knew what he was doing to the young man was wrong, but in his sick mind, he felt that he was obligated to teach Nick a lesson. He was going to make sure that the boy literally ate until he felt sick.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

”I said I’ll be out in a sec, okay?” Nick growled in response to the pounding on the bathroom door. He had been held captive in the facilities for the past fifteen minutes when a bout of diarrhea struck him for the fifth time that morning. He mentally cursed the manager’s idea of the heavy meal in the middle of the night. Lou made him eat way past full and then insisted he drink the special drink to flush his system of the meal.

”You can eat anything you want Nick, but you have to drink this right away or it will turn into fat.” The manager’s words from last night echoed in his head.

”NICK GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE SO WE CAN DO THIS GODDAMN SHOOT!”

“What the hell crawled up your ASS?”

”YOU DID..... GET OUT OF THE RESTROOM NOW!”

“Why are you being such a hardass to me Kev?” Nick asked as he opened the bathroom door.

“Because I told Kristen I would be calling her at 1:00 and you’re dinking around is going to put us way past schedule. You look like shit.”

“God, why are you picking on me?” A loud burp escaped his mouth, prompting Nick to quickly slap his hand over his mouth.

”Clean up your act... there are people watching you,” Kevin hissed as he grabbed his young brother by an arm.

“YO NICKSTER!” AJ whooped as Nick and Kevin entered the studio. “Hey you look like shit.”

“Are you feeling alright?” Howie questioned as he watched Nick slowly sit down.

Nick waved the Latino off. “I’m fine, my stomach is really upset this morning.” He burped with his mouth closed as if his body was trying to convince Howie how he felt.

“I don’t want to sound mean, but Lou was right when he said something about Nick looking a little heavier,” Brian whispered in his cousin’s ear.

“Well, Nick is trying to blame his overeating on people now,” Kevin replied, sighing.

Brian raised an eyebrow as he trained his vision toward Nick across the room. “He is?”

“Yeah, he said that Mr. Pearlman forced him to eat a huge meal this morning at four o’clock.”

Brian shook his head. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I wished I was but that’s Nick’s excuse now. So I supose if he starts packing more weight on he’ll come up with Mr. Pearlman wanted me to get fat or something dumb like that.”

“Hey I need to go to the restroom,” Nick announced as he stood up.

“Oh no you don’t,” Kevin hissed. “Stay put. This will be over soon enough.”

“B-but I have to go bad and they haven’t started yet.”

“Okay, Nick I’d like you to sit on the red stool, please.”

Reluctantly, Nick followed the photographer’s directions, taking the assigned seat.

“Howie, you take the stool next to Nick.”

Nick moaned and softly rubbed his stomach as it started to churn. If it wasn’t his stomach churning, the gas that bloated his stomach was trying to find an escape route either upwards or down and he knew that to fart right now was not only unpractical, it could be a lethal decision.

“Nick, I need you to stand up again so I can adjust the stool.”

Obeying, Nick slowly managed to a standing position. He could feel his stomach trying to tell him that something was wrong and it needed relief one way or another. “I’ll be right back.”

“No you don’t Nick, stay where you are!” Kevin directed.

Sitting down once again, Nick waited patiently for the rest of his bandmates to be situated for the first in a series of ten of the pose the photographer desired. He wanted desperately to run to the bathroom; more importantly, he wanted to run his fingers through his aching scalp. He knew both was something that would only delay the session longer.

The bathroom because he would be away from the camera, the latter because he would have messed his hair up again.

“Good.... okay everyone sit with serious faces...” the photographer droned on as he clicked away picture after picture of the five young men. He noticed that the ‘heartthrob’ of the group seemed to be out of sorts this morning. Looking through the viewfinder, he also noticed that the heartthrob was also starting to look chubby.

“Okay.. now a few more and we can have a change in positions. Slight smiles now people,” the man ordered as he busily started clicking away on the camera. “Nick.... I said said to smile now, not hard.”

Acting came in handy this morning for Nick. As bloated and sick as his stomach felt, he managed the innocent smile the photog was desiring. The innocent smile was hiding the evil thoughts that were floating around in his brian. He needed relief and there was two ways to get it. He knew he wouldn’t be allowed time to get up and use the bathroom but Nick wondered if maybe he’d feel better if he let a little gas escape, take the pressure off his protesting stomach.

Thankfully, the fart was quiet but the innocence of his deeds did not go unnoticed. Shifting on the stool, Nick coughed, embarrassment stained his cheeks.

”OH MY GOD!” AJ rasped, pulling his shirt over his mouth and nose. ”WHO THE FUCK DIED!?”

”AJJEE!”

Kevin growled.

“Wasn’t me dude,” AJ defended, holding his hands up in the air.

Nick caught Howie’s look from the corner of his eyes, wishing he could crawl off the stool and to freedom behind a closed door. He casually waved his hand behind him, trying to fan the smell away from the group.

“Who the heck floated the air biscuit?” Brian scowled, directing his looks at AJ.

“Why the hell do you people always assume it’s me?” AJ barked. “Besides, Brian, it’s called FARTING get the term right. FART or SHIT YOUR PANTS! I bet Kaos laid that one out. Did you mess your pants?”

“I don’t feel so good,” Nick mumbled, trying to ignore the photographers glare.

“Well thanks to you kid, none of us feel good anymore!” AJ grumbled, standing up from the stool watching as Kevin rushed over to the windows, promptly opening several.

“God, we need to take a ten minute break. Change into your next outfit,” the photographer huffed, setting his camera ontop of a table as he turned to leave the room.

“Like ten minutes will clear this room,” AJ mumbled as he drew a cigarette and his lighter from his back pocket. Brian quickly clamped a hand on the tatooed man’s forearm.

“NO! There’s gas leakage in here!”

“I have your revised sche.....what the hell died in here?” Johnny questioned as he entered the studio.

”NICK!” came the unanimous response.

Since he was already blamed for his deed and he still had a cramp in his lower pelvic region, Nick allowed another fart to escape. This time it wasn’t quiet.

”PHHHHFFFFFTTTT.”

AJ made fake gagging noises and quickly put his shirt over his mouth and nose, bolting for the door. Howie jumped up, knocking his stool onto the floor, following his best friend.

“Way to clear out the room kiddo,” Johnny glared.

“Bri and me are going to get changed for the next set. Nick see if you can control your bodily functions so we can get the hell out of here,” Kevin spat as he trudged out of the room.

The black manager stared at the blond sitting on the stool, embarrassement clearly etched on the teen’s face. “Care to explain why you’ve lost all of your manners this morning?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “My stomach is bothering me.”

Johnny frowned. “Why is that?”

“You know....that drink.”

“What drink? Did you go out with D and Bone clubbing or something?”

Nick ran a tired hand through his hair. ”NO! You know... it’s that drink the diet thing Mr. Pearlman wants me on.”

Johnny could feel his heart pounding in his chest. Pounding from fear and from anger. “You shouldn’t be farting when you’ve been drinking that drink then. It could have disasterous consequences.”

“I know, but I couldn’t stop it,” Nick explained.

“Well, I guess when you have an empty stomach it probably makes it worse,” Johnny advised as he started thumbing through the schedule.

“My stomach wasn’t empty though.”

The manager’s head jerked up. “What?”

“Mr. Pearlman stuffed me with food last night. He told me to keep eating way past full. I told him I was hurting but he forced me to keep eating. No one believes me, but it’s true. I didn’t do this by choice.”

“That sonofabitch,” Johnny breathed.

“Can I be excused? I need to go to the bathroom bad,” Nick squeaked.

“Yes, please do that, and you better get dressed for the next set.”

Johnny watched the young teen make a fast exit from the room toward the facilities. Heat from anger flushed his face. He needed to speak with Pearlman about the recent stunt he had pulled on the innocent kid. Threats or no threats held against him, Johnny morally had to do something before the boy gets hurt.

He had to plea his case and hopefully Lou Pearlman would listen.

49 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 49

"Where is da stinkbomb?" Brian grinned when he made his way out to the back to the bus. With his words he was referring to the disaster that Nick had done earlier in the day, when he had cleared a whole room at the photo shoot. That was something that only Nick could do, and even if he thought it was disgusting at the time being he laughed about it now.

Howie was slouching on the sofa in the back, reading a book with his headphones on. He looked up when the younger man entered the premises, "Huh?" He pulled off the headphones, turning off the walkman. "What did you say?"

"The Fartman!" Brian laughed, noticing Howie’s confused look. "NICK," he clarified with a sigh. Howie could be so slow sometimes. Too slow.

"Oh," Howie pointed with his tumb towards the bunkbeds. "He went to take a nap. Said his stomach was still upset."

"He did?" There was concern etched on Brian’s forehead. "Nick has had that stomach bug way too long, maybe he should go and see a doctor."

"Yeah I know," Howie sighed, turning attention back to his book.

Brian wasnīt about to leave that alone, "Iīm going to talk to Johnny about this. He will run out of energy if he keeps up this pace." Brian shook his head, worried, "this schedule is tough, too tough for Nick to handle."

"I agree on that," Howie mumbled from his corner, "maybe Kev can have a talk to Lou so Nick could get a few days off." The oldest bandmember was often used to go and tell the management the other’s opinion.

"Kev?" Brian asked a surprised, "I donīt think that he and Lou have the best relations after the awards show night. Kev thinks that Lou is an ass."

"So what’s new?" Howie sighed, putting on his earphones again. If there were one thing that the Latino didnīt like, it was when there were conflicts in the air. And recently there had been too many. It was partly because they had been on the road for over a month spending 24/7 together. But it was also because the schedule was way too stressed. That they had also been attacked by all sorts of germs didnīt actually improve the situation

Sensing this, Brian decided to change the subject. "What are you reading?"

"A thriller," Howie held up the book so Brian could see the title.

"Okay," there wasn’t any real interest, yet Brian forced himself to say, "What is it about?"

Howie, happy to be able to talk about something else besides Nick’s alleged illness, quickly told about the contents. Brian on the other hand was just listening with half an ear. His thoughts kept trailing off to his "little brother". There was something off with him and as soon as Nick would wake up he would encounter him about his "problems". They rarely kept any secrets to each other and getting to live together so close for such a long time they knew each other pretty well. And now Brian knew that there was more than meets the eye with Nick, he could just tell.

Kevin, coming out from the small bathroom, was the one that saved Brian from a safe death of boredom. Once Kevin or Howie got started to tell something that they thought was important for the rest of the world to know there was no hitting the ‘off’ button. They had all different ways to meet this. Brian usually told a joke, AJ left the room and Nick, he either spaced out or said in a whining manner that they were boring him. Nick and AJīs frank way always got them in trouble.

"What are you guys doing?" the older man asked, picking up a can of beer from the counter. He pushed Howie’s feet off the sofa, sitting down.

Brian, sick and tired of listening to Howie, but also concerned for life in general sneered a bit too forceful, "What does it look like we’re doing?" He loved his cousin, but sometimes Kevin could ask such stupid questions. "Weīre having a party!"

Rolling his eyes, Kevin said nothing. Instead he turned on the tv, French news blasting at him. Even if he didnīt understand that much he still left the tv on. If they were in France they could at least educate themselves a little on the language, besides Kevin and Howie liked being a bit intellectual. Trying and learning new things.

AJ, who was dosing in his bunkbed, yelled irritated, "Turn off that piece of shit! There are people trying to sleep here!" He was in no mood to listen to someone that sounded like they had swallowed a hot potato.

In protest, Kevin turned up the volume, ignoring the resting man’s request.

"What the hell!" the young man burst out, "Didnīt you hear me? Turn off that piece of shit before I throw the tv out off the bus." AJ was not in a good mood, mainly because the walls were starting to close in on him and he longed for a break. He also had a fight with Amanda and his girlfriend had claimed that someone was talking out on something called Groupie net, about his little escapades. Life was turning itīs back on AJ, slowly.

"Watch your language," Kevin responded, still ignoring Bone.

Both Howie and Brian sensed that this was the beginning of a conflict and Brian tried to snatch the controller from his cousin’s hand.

"Donīt," there was a warning tone in the voice as the Kentuckian gave away a glare. Turning his attention back to AJ,"It wouldnīt hurt you if you got some education."

"Yeah right," AJ muttered, "But not listening to that piece of crap!" He was in such a foul mood. Due to Nick’s unfortunate condition, the photoshoot had been delayed several times, and even though he felt bad for his friend he was still pissed that the teen had managed to stall it all. He had been running back and forth to the restroom and when he finally was in a shape to take those pics he had complained that he was feeling dizzy. This had set both Brian and Howie in for a fit and they had demanded that nothing would be done before they got something to eat. Then when they finally sat down to eat, all Nick did just pick at his food and this had the rest of the guys even more concerned. They were all late to the next city and now they had to go non stop so they could make it to Lyon and tonights concert. AJ was pissed because he thought that it was all getting on his nerves. This life! Always having to take into consideration to everyone else. It sucked!

Also added to the fact was that he wanted to have some privacy to speak to Amanda to talk to her, to explain the situation. It was his bad concidence that was hunting him too and it ached in his heart when he thought about how he was hurting Amanda. She had been so upset that she said that she was going to end their relationship if he didnīt stop cheating on her. But telling AJ to stop flirting was like telling someone to stop breathing. It was part of his life.

And now Kevin was on his case with some French shit!

"Youīre never taking anyone into consideration," Kevin stated, refusing to turn off the tv. "God you sometimes act so immature."

"Like youīre the one to talk," AJ sneered. "Youīre always trying to be a know it all when you donīt know damn shit."

Kevin glared at AJ and soon the fight was at full force. They were screaming at each other, calling each other names and saying stuff that they knew that they each would regret later. But in the heat of the fight, feelings was not something that they cared about.

“Shhh," Brian said when they were yelling at each other a bit too loud. The voices drowned what the French lady said, not that anybody cared. "Youīre waking Kaos up."

Usually this aspect would have been taken into consideration, but now both men were way too agitated. Touring was taking both the best and the worst out of them and spending all the time together was testing their nerves and friendship.

Finally Howie was getting fed up with the situation, "Stop it! You act like two toddlers fighting over a toy." He rubbed his hand tiredly over his face. "I know that this is getting to all of us, but we have to try to get along or we might as well call this quits.” Turning to Kevin he said sarcasticaly, "You really act your age."

Kevin glared irritated, stopping immediatly. Howie or ‘Sweet D’ rarely butted into a situation, but when he did he was always very upset. AJ grinned, thinking that he had won.

Noticing this Howie sneered, "And you, Bone, better wipe that smug grin off your face. You are acting like an ass."

A snort was heard. The younger man turned his back towards the gang, flipping Kevin off in the process. This gesture was taking house in hell and if it werenīt for Brian holding his cousins arm down, a fistfight would have broke out.

"Hey you better watch that attitude," Kevin barked, ready to show AJ who was boss. He clenched his fist, getting ready to mentally punch AJ out.

"Take it easy," Brian tried to calm his cousin down. Kevin jerked his arm back, almost hitting Brian in the face in the process.

"Watch it!"

Kevin was about to defend himself when a sleepy voice was heard from the top bunkbeds. "Stop it or I will cut one..I swear." There was a brief pause as the guys looked up at the bed where the voice had come from, "and I tell you that this one will definately clear the bus!"

Upon hearing this the guys started to chuckle. It was so like Nick to break the tension, ‘Release the pressure.’ Laughter was heard in the bus when Brian yelled, "NOOOO Not another gas attack!" He ducked, taking cover.

The tension that had flooded in the bus was suddenly gone, replaced with several jokes about Nick’s predicament. If there was something that could cheer up a situation it was when they told bathroom jokes or picked on their youngest band member. This time they could kill two birds.

Nick on the other hand was not so happy. He had once again used his own discomfort to make other people happy. It was something he did when people fought. He would show his own mistakes to get other people to laugh. The truth was that Nick didnīt like tension or conflicts. It always made him feel so unsure and everytime there was a big fight between the guys he got a lump in his throat. What if they became such enemies that they would end the group? That was his worst fear. That the Backstreet Boys would be over and he wouldnīt be able to be together with his brothers. Everytime he thought about this it felt like he would choke.

He groaned. His stomach was still churning, altough he couldnīt tell from what. That health drink was making him sick and going to the bathroom ten times in a day and Nick thought it was a bit too high of a price to pay for loosing weight. Damned Lou, if this was what his life was going to be, feeling shitty, he would rather quit this dieting and became a happy and healthy fatso instead.

Besides, he didnīt think that he was THAT fat either!

Dark thoughts were occupying his mind when he suddenly remembered that Lou had told him that this was just a try. That he could quit the dieting anytime that he wanted to. He had to go and talk to Lou, tell him how bad he felt and that this wasnīt worth it. He couldnīt go on like this, feeling like everytime he moved he would either shit his pants or bend over from cramps. If the fans knew that the new pelvic thrust that he did had nothing to do with being sexy they would pass out. From shock.

He chuckled to himself.

"What are you grinning at?" AJ asked from the bunk below. "Are you hearing voices?"

Irritated to be disturbed with such a stupid question he sneered back, "Yeah yours, dumbass!"

"Hey stupid. Watch it!"

Now Nick was getting AJīs irritation over Kevins bossing around, and before the teen could react, a tennis shoe came flying nearly hitting him in the head.

"OUCH!" He drawled, feeling hurt from the offending movement," Why did you have to do that?" There were loads of accusation in his tone.

"Because," AJ snarled, "Iīm so fucking tired of your stupid comments." He banged his fist against the wall, "This fucking bus is getting on my fucking nerves." He sounded like he was close to having a nervous breakdown.

"Watch your language." Kevin responded irritated, the tension back in the air again. Nick could hear Brian and Howie talking in the back, trying to get AJ to calm down. The teen did his best too.

"Whatīs eating your ass?"

"YOU!" AJ growled at Nick, still banging his fist against the wall. Frustrated. "You and this whole fucking business! FUCK!" He shouted, "This is NOOO LIFE!"

"Ajeeee!"

"Iīm just so tired of this." AJ growled, his tears brimming in his eyes. It was clear that the stress had finally gotten to the young man and soon both Kevin and Howie tried to calm him down. As always it was Sweet D' with his soft and calm voice that managed to get AJ to chill out. Even though he and Kevin had been in a fight earlier AJ still had respect for the older man and he listened as Kevin told him that they were all feeling like this, but that they had to straighten up. This time the skinny man listened without objecting.

Brian sensing that the rest of the guys needed to be alone to talk said to Nick in a cheerful tone, "Come on letīs play a game of Nintendo."

Nick thought for a moment, then he said, "Sure, but be prepared. Iīm going to kick your ass."

"You wish!" Brian grinned.

Nick smiled too. Still there was nothing that beat spending time with Brian. They were Frick and Frack. Inseperable.

But the moment he jumped down from the bunk he realized that not everything was fine. His stomach was doing flip flops again and he felt the porcelain phone calling his name, "Iīm just going to the toilet first," Nick said walking over to the small bathroom, closing the door behind him. Outside Brian shook his head. Something was definatly off with his friend. And he intended to find out what!

******************************************************

It was past midnight and the boys had just came back from the venue. Kevin, AJ and Howie were too wired to go to sleep so they had decided to go clubbing. Brian had turned down the offer, saying that he would stay and watch a video with Nick. But then Leigh Anne had called and Nick felt left out.

Standing in the hallway of the small middle class hotel, Nick felt nervous. He was licking his lips, his hands clammy and sweaty. Cold sweatdrops were dotting his forehead. He had finally mustered the courage to talk to Lou about the new diet. And now he felt scared. For some strange reason the overweight manager always made him feel uncomfortable and small.

To his relief his stomach had finally calmed down before the concert and he could perform without any bigger mishaps happening. He hadnīt dare eat anything, in case his stomach would rebel again and now he was as hungry as a wolf. He stole some glances over at the vending machines. Maybe he should get a snack or two. Couldnīt hurt, could it? But then he was reminded of the cruel over eating he had encountered during the night with Lou and he decided against it. Spending the whole day running back and forth to restrooms was not his type of fun.

'Deep breaths.....deep breaths.’ Nick mentally prepared himself. ‘Come on Nick you can do this!' This was something that he had learned to do before concerts when his nerves were on a high wire. It helped him calm down, relax and afterwards he felt so much better. But then those times he didnīt have to meet Lou Pearlman!

Knocking at the door he started to think that this was a bad descision. What if the manager would be mad at him? He had nearly given up his task when the door opened and the managers face came to view. Nick’s stomach clenched. From fear.

"Nick?" the manager sounded surprised. "What do YOU want?" He was holding a whiskey glass in his hand and his pig like eyes bored into him with Nick backing away, unvoluntarily.

"Eh..eh..Iīm..uh..Iīm," the teen stuttered, mentally cursing himself for not getting the words out. Why did he always have to sound like such a dumbass when there was something important to say? Why couldnīt he be cool like AJ who always, almost always, had the situation under control?

"Speak up boy!" Lou said a bit irritated over being disturbed this late at night. He sipped on his drink before opening the door a bit further so Nick could look into the big hotel suite. "Come in."

Hesitating, Nick stood by the door. He was more and more starting to think that this was a bad decision and that he should back out while there was time. "So..sorry," he mumbled, looking down at his feet, "I have to..have to go."

But the manager didnīt want to hear such words.

"Nonsense," Lou mentioned with his hand for Nick to come inside, "Come in and tell me what is on your mind." There was a friendly touch in his words and for a moment Nick didnīt feel so ill at ease. Not daring to do anything else he followed the older man in.

"You want something to drink boy? Coke.... Sprite?" the manager asked, pouring some more whiskey into the glass.

"No," Nick shook his head. Even tough thirst and hunger was wracking his body he didnīt think that he could hold anything down in his stomach.

Sitting down in a large armchair the manager asked,"What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" He gestured with his chubby hand for Nick to sit down. Not daring to do anything else, he sank down on the bed. Twisting his hands nervously he was desperately trying to find something to say, "Eh..uh..you know that diet..health drink that you..you gave me?"

"Yes?" Lou narrowed his eyes at Nick, giving the teen a feeling that his precence wasnīt wanted at all.

"Itīs making me sick!" Nick spat out the words very fast, hoping that the manager wouldnīt make him answer any embarrassing questions.

"It does?" In Nick’s mind it looked like the manager rather enjoyed the awkward situation, "In what way?" Lou smiled.

Nick blushed. It was bad that he had an upset stomach, but sharing details with Mr. Pearlman he didnīt think was neccessary. "Eh..I have had to run to the bathroom all day."

"Oh I take it that you were nauseaous."

"NO!" God did he have to explain the situation to the manager too?

"Then what?" The manager knew very well what it was about but he looked like he enjoyed to see the boy squirm. Like a worm on the hook.

"I have..I have.. you know." Nick blushed violently.

"No I donīt," Lou smiled briefly, "What is it that you are trying to say boy?"

Nick shifted uncomfortably. The manger was trying to make him embarrassed, but he decided that he wouldnīt fall into that trap, "The health drink that you are giving me makes me have the shits." He draw back his breath, trying to buy time, "and I donīt want to take it anymore."

Lou chuckled. "Of course it is giving you diarrhea. That is because the fat is washing out of your system. This is a sure sign that the health drink is actually working. As soon as all that fat is out of your system you are starting to feel like new again." He paused, " And then you will start to loose weight."

"But..but I donīt want to get SICK anymore. This stuff is making me feel bad and I canīt have stomach cramps all the time. I canīt do my job." Nick’s voice was whiny and there was a hint of desperation too.

"Really?" Lou’s tone was a mixture of amusement and irritation. "Isnīt you the same one that spent the night in my hotel room snacking away?" There wasn’t friendliness in the words.

"Yes bu..."

The manager interrupted him before he was being able to fulfill his sentences. "What do you expect Nicky? Of course you get sick when you overeat like that."

"I didnīt overeat!" Now Nick was feeling his temper flare up.

"Well I wasnīt the one that forced them down your throat boy. You ate it all by yourself. Instead I made you realize the consequences over such overindulgence." Lou snapped, "You should thank me instead of blaming me for your own stupidity

Now Nick was getting really upset. The manager was accusing him for overeating when HE was the one that forced the food down his throat. This was so unfair. Nick felt like he wanted to cry. It had turned out to be a bad decision to talk to the manager and he wished he had never made such a stupid mistake.

"NO I wonīt, itīs making me sick and I donīt want to take this anymore."

"What are you saying boy?" Lou’s eyes were cold. "Are you disobeying orders?"

Nick pleaded desperatly, "But..but you said that if I didnīt like it I could quit."

"I never said that!" The tone was firm as the manager set down his drink on the glass table. "Listen boy, you are turning into a fat slob and MY job is to see that you are looking presentable." He grabbed Nick’s worn out T-shirt, lifting it up so Nick’s belly was visible. "Look at that," he spat. "You need to loose lots of weight and if you donīt start now you will look like a giant baby that no one would even look twice at."

The words hurt more than he wanted to admit. It burned a hole into his soul and he had to swallow hard from not starting to cry in front of his manager. How could someone be so cruel?

"You better continue with that health drink or you will be in for trouble.... real trouble!" There was threat in the manager’s voice.

Nick sighed, looking down. He knew it! Lou hadnīt listened to him at all. Feeling a hand squeezing his shoulder he tensed. "Just follow my instructions and you will be fine." The manager grinned, "In fact I want you to weigh yourself in every third day so I see if you have gained or lost weight.

A chill ran down his spine. Lou was sick. Obsessed with his weight. He was feeling more and more trapped. In a game that he couldnīt win.

Lou had him in his snare.

50 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 50

Brian ran his hand through his tousled hair. He had a serious case of hot hair and no matter how much he worked on it this morning it would still look like he had put it in a tumbler. He seriously debated that if Leigh caught a hint of this she would send him to a dog trimmer!

His hair was not all that was going bad for Mr. Littrell that morning. Both he and Nick had overslept and since Nick had taken the place in the bathroom almost immediately, he had to dress and make himself presentable in the best way he could without any water or any hair products. He was also dying to use the wanted facilities and if he hadnīt been so tired he would have ran down the lobby to take a leak. The down point was that security was probably at breakfast this hour and the lobby would no doubt be swarming with fans trying to get a glimpse of them.

This was one of the many disadvantages of being a celebrity.

As usual when it came to Frick and Frack they were late for breakfast and they had about half an hour before they had to get on the bus to go to the next city and to the next concert. They had very little time to pack between the cities so Brian tried to keep it as neat as possible, using a sparse amount of clothes. The same couldn’t be said for his friend who was throwing stuff all around the hotel room as usual.

Looking around the mess in the room, Brian sighed deeply. This would take forever to clean up, but since Nick had spent his better part of the morning inside the tiled facilities and there was no chance of him getting out of there in the near future, Brian had dutifully started to pick it all up, throwing it into Nick’s suitcase. He wished that the young teen would think a step or two before creating another bomb explosion in their room. After all he wasn’t his mother who could be there to clean up after him!

While he was picking up socks and magazines and cdīs that Nick had "happened" to throw out on the floor because he was looking for just the right kind of item, he was calling out to the teen every so often. Just to hear if he was still alive.

Why would you otherwise spend a great deal inside a bathroom? Unless you were Howie fixing your hair!

With a frown he threw the last of the clothes in the suitcase, zipping it up. Mentally he decided that this was the last time he did his friend such a "favor." Next time he wouldnīt care if Nick left all his clothes in the hotel, or if he even got on the bus. It wasnīt the first time that he had decided to call it quits with giving a helping hand, just hours later withdrew his decision. Brian was by no meanings being a wuss, no, he was more helping his friend to cope with the business. Sometimes he wondered if it was all worth it. The music industry was dirty and Brian with his high standards thought it stinked at times.

Life could be too tough touring.

Lately he had been suffering from serious homesickness and there were times when he just wanted to buy a plane ticket back home and never set his foot into this job again. But then it always happened, something that made him change his mind. Often it was Nick doing a prank or two or meeting a fans that meant special to him and he was back on the road again.

Living out of a suitcase had become their life in the past years and if he could summon up all the downtime he had for the last two years, he recalled that it added up to like three months! Three months to spend with his friends and family over a 2 year period was way too little. Even Howie who loved being on the road had complained over this.

This tour was stressing them out and they were running around like they had fire in their pants, doing promotions and concerts all over Europe. The schedule was inhumane and the days off were numbered! All of the boys were used to running at high speed, but this was something out of the ordinary. Brian thought that this was worst for Nick. He was getting black and blue bags under his eyes from sleep deprivation and the happy smile that always toyed at his lips were rarely seen these days. This followed that the pranks that he had as a trade mark were not committed so often either. In short he didnīt recognize his friend! When trying to encounter this with Kevin, the tall man had told him that Nick was just being a normal teen with moodiness and raging hormones and that this was nothing to be concerned about. Coming from the most neurotic person in the group, Brian had left it at that.

After last nights hour long phone call with his girlfriend, Brian could have given anything to get back to the States. For a brief moment he thought about leaving it all, claiming that he had been abducted by aliens, but when Nick came back from one of his so called night walks strolling around in the hotel hallways acting like something was even more wrong than usual he had gotten really concerned.

Kaos was Kaos and he could do stuff that no ordinary person would ever think of. This time he had acted like the world’s problems weighed on his shoulders. Whenever Nick was feeling low or sick he had a habit of digging himself into a hole, this time it was something entirely different. It was like he was seriously depressed. Any attempt to cheer the teen up or talk failed. Instead Nick had pulled the covers over his head refusing to talk and finally Brian gave up. p>

Catching a glance at the travelclock on the bedstand he saw that they were late for breakfast. Neither Lou or Johnny would be happy over this. He had to get his friend out of the bathroom. Ratteling on the door handle he yelled, "Nick, come on. Weīve gotta get going." When there was no response he yelled, "Dude youīve been in there for ages."

"Leave me alone!"

Brian pricked up his ears. He thought he heard Nick’s voice thick with tears. This had him even more worried, banging on the door, "Nick?"

An irritated groan was heard. "I said Iīll be done in a sec." Then there was a muffled mutter, " Jeeze canīt a man take a dump in peace in this place?"

Satisfied that his friend seemed to be fine, Brian chuckled, "Sure man, just donīt leave the bathroom stinking. I have to use it too when I get back." Being a male he never missed the opportunity to tease often done with a humorous touch of love.

"Dude, that you should have said before!" the teen mumbled from the other end and sound of a toilet roll razzle could be heard.

The Kentuckian laughed, "Well man at at least do me the favor to spray some airfreshner when youīre done." He heard a groan as a response. Smiling, Brian decided that it was enough teasing for the time being. "Weīve got to go now if we want any breakfast. Then weīre leaving for the bus in less than 30 minutes. You better hurry, you know that Lou and Johnny hate it when we are late. "

"Yeah, I know." The tone a bit subdued.

"Frack man, are you ok?" His friend was much too silent this morning for Brian not to feel concerned.

"Yes!"

"You sure? I mean it isnīt your stomach that is bothering you again. Is it? Are you still having the runs?"

"Noooo!" Embarrassment evident in his voice.

"Great," Brian chuckled. That was enough of making the teen blush. "Iīm going to go down for breakfast, come when youīre ready. Okay?"

"Mhmm.."

Reluctantly Brian let go off the handle. His own stomach was growling from hunger and if he didnīt hurry up he would miss the breakfast. Picking up his wallet he asked, "You want me to bring you something back?"

"No," The voice was a bit muffled. "Iīm not hungry."

If his friend’s action had Brian concerned, it was nothing compared to the words that were now uttered. "Not hungry?" There were suspecion in Brian’s voice, "You havenīt overindulged again, have you?"

"No!" The teens tone held an hint of annoyance. "Iīm fine. Iīll eat something on the bus instead."

"Uh huh.. Well Iīm going now, you sure that you haveīt changed your mind?"

"No..Jeeze Bri drop it. I said GO!"

"Ok, ok man," Brian held up his hands in defense, "Iīm going. We are on the second level in the breakfast room incase you change your mind."

"I heard you. Good." The voice held no enthusiasm and this had Brian a tad worried. Nick rarely missed out from food, not even when he was sick to his bones. He was afraid that the past days flu had taking itīs toll on his friend more than he cared to admit.

Opening the door he hesitated for a moment. Looking at the closed bathroom door he thought about giving one last shot to get the teen out when he heard the toilet flush and the water tap turn on. Smiling Brian decided that Nick would be just fine.

~~~~~~***~~~~~~

The moment Brian shut the door Nick went out from the bathroom. He knew that he had acted both immature and strange but sometimes he just needed time for himself. It was hard to be able to have any sort of privacy when you lived 24/7 with 4 guys and a large crew. Sneaking into a bathroom was the only luxury he could afford when it came to be being alone. He needed time to think. Sometimes when he was back in Florida he took the car, drove to the forest and then sat there listening to the birds. All alone. The ocean also provided him with that safe and relaxed feeling.

Last nights encounter left him feeling down. Lou had been on his case, as always, on his weight. It was like an obsession and he was afraid that the manager wouldnīt be satisfied until he was looking down right anorectic!

'That would be the day,' he thought sarcastically. Staring in the mirror in the hotel room he decided that it would never be the case. He was carrying too much weight and it would take years to get rid of this fat. Disgusted, Nick pinched at his stomach. No matter how much he worked out he still had his father’s belly.

It was a curse. The Carter curse.

Thinking back off the past days cleaning out ritual, he picked up the small bottle from the backpack. Staring at it he decided to let that fatso Lou see who was in charge. There was no way that he was going to run after the ball as soon as the manager yelled "Fetch!" Unscrewing the bottle, he walked into the bathroom, bending over he made himself ready to pour away the substance. Once for all getting away from that crap.

Suddenly he stopped himself.

Should he trash it or should he take it? Mentally he debated if he was doing the right thing. His mind told him that he should trash it, but his self confidence told him that he had to loose the weight. He needed to be slim and stay in shape so he could keep on making his fans and management happy. No one loved a fat slob!

The nasty words the management had spat at him, and that article combined with his friends snide comments and his own need to be loved proved to be too much. His inner struggle was ripping his heart apart. He felt like he had no choice but to continue with the painful dieting.

The deamons were eating him up from inside.

In surreal slow motion he held the bottle to his lips, taking a taste even though he knew that it would make him sick. "Damned Lou," he cried out. Tears rolled down his cheeks and he felt disgusted with himself.

Why did he have to be so weak?

He wanted to bend over and gag, but stopped. It was bad enough the mess he had gotten himself into. The feeling of worthlessness rinsed over him.

He was loosing the battle and he knew it.

*****************************************************

It was a slow day on the bus. The rain whipped against the window when they drove past endless French villages. It was like the bad weather had wiped away all the beautiful colors and wrapped it up in a dull, colorless mist. They were on their way to perform infront of 30,000 people and now three hours into the trip they had only five more to go.

. Inside all of the boys were minding their privacy.

Howie sat with his feet on the seat next to him, reading. On his lap laid a bag of gummybears, his favorite candy, and every so often his hand went down the bag grabbing a handful, stuffing himself. The Latino held a relaxed expression on his face and last nights night club adventures had left few traces. There was no hangover and he was as refreshed as always.

Furthest down in the back, behind the bunkbeds was Kevin. He was jamming away on his keyboard together with one of the band members and he was working on a new song for their upcoming album. If his cousin was playing along on an instrument Brian sat in the sofa section with his laptop on his knees, writing a long letter to Leigh Anne. The homesickness he felt for the past weeks were reaching itīs culprit. He longed for her laughter, her smile and he wanted nothing more than to be close to her. In his world she was the most perfect human being there could be. Leigh Anne Wallace was an angel.

In the seat behind Howie was AJ. The twenty year old was deep in thought as he stared out in the window. He paid no attention whatsoever to the scenery, instead it was his own guilt that was pleagueing him. The blood shot eyes under the tanned sunglasses revealed that there had been yet another wet and sleepless night. He and Howie had ended up at one of Lyons hottest strip bar and the girls and champagne had flooded in amounts. Today he was paying the price. A bad hangover combined with his inconsiderence over cheating on his girlfriend was making his life a living hell. His guilt pleauging him like fire.

But what should he do?

What could he do?

There were just too many beautiful girls in the world and he wanted them all!

Shifting uncomfortably, AJ wanted to stretch his legs. His ass hurt from sitting all morning and he needed to go pee. As if things werenīt bad enough he was dying for a smoke too. It was a drag and AJ was getting more and more bored out of his skull as the time dragged along.

On the seat across the aisle lay Nick. He had curled into a heap on the double seat and his long legs were partly laying in the aisle. The position didnīt look comfortable at all, but apparently fully acceptable for the teen since he was fast asleep. Snoring.

With a hint of disgust AJ noticed that Nick was drooling on his chin and if his friend hadnīt had such a deep wrinkle on his forehead he would have kicked his legs, telling him to stop making such a mess.

Sighing, AJ, had to do something about the situation. Standing up he nearly tripped over the blonde’s long legs. "Damn Kaos," he muttered, trying to get past the teen. Nick shifted, but he didnīt wake up. Once he got to the driver he asked the middle aged German if they could stop at the next road resturant. This was possible since they were all hungry and needed something to eat.

There were harsh words coming from the managers upfront. Obviously they were arguing over something and Johnny was talking with an irritated voice. "If you keep doing that to the boy you will end up hurting him," the black man shook his head.

"Donīt worry said, Nick is in my care." Lou said, nodding towards AJ who passed him on his way back to his seat. Then he said in a hushed tone, "I have it all under control."

A bit surprised over those words, AJ wonder what Nick had done this time to piss the managers off so much. The teen had a habit to say and do stuff that set the management off for a for a fit. Coming back to his seat he saw that the object in question was still stretched out across the aisle. Curious what he had done this time AJ kicked Nick’s legs with his foot. Not too hard, mostly to get the blonde up. Besides Nick was the little brother he never had and brothers needed to know their place.

"Ouch!"

"Wakey wakey Kaos!" he yelled into the teen’s ear.

"Knock it off Bone," Nick sneered, flinching at the sound. He wafted with his hand to get the noise away from his ears.

Ignoring this, AJ continued with his interrogation, "Man what did you do now to piss Johnny off so much?"

Confused, Nick opened his eyes, sitting up in his seat."What do YOU want?" He massaged his neck with his hand, trying to work out the knots that had been formed while he was sleeping in the awkward position.

"'Atta boy," AJ grinned, "piss Lou off so much that he keeps his hold on you."

Confused over the words, Nick shook his head to clear his mind. His face was swollen from sleep and his eyes were still half mast. "What do you mean?"

"Johnny and Lou are pissed at you for something," AJ narrowed his eyes, "what the hell did you do this time?"

"Iīve done nothing!" He whined in that annoying tone that only Nick could master. "I have no idea what youīre talking about."

Sensing that his friend really didnīt know what he was talking about he said quickly, "Chill out man. I was just asking."

"Idiot!"

AJ shook his head, "Jeeze you sure are moody these days. Youīre not suffering from PMS are you?" A smiled toyed in the older man’s lips.

"NO!" Nicks blue eyes went dark. "Why are you always picking on me?"

"Iīm not."

"You are too. You are always saying stuff to me and.." Nick was getting interrupted.

"Nick, Iīm not your therapist. If you need to run that psychology bullshit then do it on someone else but me. That is Howie’s table." He montioned with his thumbs at the dark man behind him.

"Wha..what?" Howie looked confused. "What did I do?"

"Nothing, AJ is just being an ass." Nick complained leaning his head agaist the window. His posture were slightly hunched and he was holding a hand over his stomach like he was suffering from cramps again.

"Leave Nicky alone," Howie sighed.

"I did not.." the short man started to defend himself just to stop in midsentence. Catching one good look at the teen he noticed that his color seemed kind of off. There was something pitiful over his friend and he felt a bit bad for snapping at him in the way he had done. Rewinding the tape he leand over at him, "Youīre ok man?"

"Mmmmm.." Nick shied away, his body language saying something else.

"Maybe youīre just hungry. Weīre stopping soon for lunch." AJ felt obligated to make Nick feel a bit better. There was something off with his little brother and that disturbed him a bit.

"Mmm..Maybe," Nick nodded. Closing his eyes he wished that they were at the resturant soon. He needed to get off the bus. He needed his privacy.

51 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 51 Perfection - Chapter 51

Nick stared out the window of the shuttle van, feeling detached. He had just been lectured earlier that morning by Lou Pearlman after his obligatory weigh in and the manager was not happy with the results.

Hoping to see amazing progress when he stepped on the digital scales; Pearlman felt that they were the most accurate for keeping track of weight; Nick was shocked at what the green glowing numbers stated.

The manager was angry when he discovered that Nick had gained three pounds since the last weigh in two days ago. Because of the weight gain, Lou demanded that after the meet and greet he would like to see him back at the hotel with the bottle of diet drink in his hands.

Although Nick kept expressing his desire to stop drinking the formula, Pearlman was adamant that the process continue. He dreaded to think of what would be in store for him when they arrived back at the hotel.

A sharp poke in his right side caused Nick to jerk from his thoughts and direct his gaze inside the van. “Mmmmpf?”

“Hey..... I asked you a question.”

Nick stared for a moment at Brian while he rubbed his side. “Huh?”

“I said you look like you’ve lost your best friend. What’s wrong?”

“Just thinking, sorry,” Nick lied as he shrugged his shoulders.

Brian eyed his little brother suspiciously. “You sure?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You know you’ll get worms if you bite your fingernails.”

Still biting the nail, Nick jerked and looked at Brian’s face. “Huh?”

“I just made a joke, Nick, what’s wrong? You seem more spaced out than normal.”

“My stomach aches, nothing to worry about, it’s probably nerves.” Feeling his friend’s stare, Nick turned to face him. “I’ll be fine, just leave me alone, okay?”

“Are you sure you’re gonna be up for this?”

Shifting in his seat, Nick turned his body so that he was facing the window. “I said to leave me alone,” came the icy reply.

AJ snorted. “Whoa..... dude, did you just get frostbit from Nicky?”

“Guys... please, let’s have happy faces, we’re here!” Johnny called out from the rear of the van.

Grabbing his backpack from the floor, Nick did his normal ritual of tightening the straps, the ever present panic forming a knot in the pit of his stomach as he looked out the window seeing the crowd of screaming girls gathered by the entrance. This time around, it was panic mixed with cramps that gripped his stomach.

“All set Nicky?” Brian asked, concern in his eyes.

Nick replied with a short nod.

“Wait until security detail arrives, I don’t see where the goddamn security is. What the hell!” Johnny mumbled as he started pounding numbers into his cell phone.

“It’s only probably fifty feet to the entrance, I’m sure we can manage without security,” Howie offered.

“Yeah... well you lead D, I got your back,” AJ rasped as he settled back into his seat.

“Hey, it’s not really a bad idea. Why are you guys so scared of those girls out there?”

“Um, remember Nicky about losing a kidney when he was separated from us and got slammed into the side of the tour bus?” AJ recalled.

“I seriously doubt that will happen twice. Don’t they always say, ‘Lightening doesn’t strike the same place twice?’ “

“Like I said Howie, you can go out there to the den of wolves if you want. I for one, am gonna keep my ass planted until security gets here, thank you very much.”

“Guys, we’ll run in a cluster,” Johnny directed as he shut off his cell phone.

This time Kevin Richardson whipped his head around to look at the manager. ”Run in a cluster? Did you just say run in a cluster?” he asked incredeliously.

“I didn’t think I mumbled.”

“Are you crazy!?”

“Listen, we don’t have a choice. The van taking the body guards from the hotel got stuck in traffic some accident, and we can sit here in this damn van for an hour waiting for them or we can just sprint into the lobby and get this overwith. I made my decision and you’ll have to do as I say.”

“Just peachy,” Nick muttered as he stood up. All he could do was swallow nervously as he waited for the doors to be flung open and to be herded in like cattle heading for the slaughter house.

The were the cattle and the girls were the butchers.

Suddenly, a hard shove on Nick’s back sent him flying out of the van doors. He was totally unprepared for being flung into the awaiting crowd and his feet went into overdrive trying to make a path from the van to the safety of the entrance.

”N-I-I-I-C-C-C-K-K-E-E-E-E-E!

”OOOOFFF,” was all that Nick managed to cry out when he once again was caught up in the surging crowd and carried from the van away from his destination. Just when the tears of fear and frustration welled up into his eyes, he felt a strong tug at his backpack jerking him from the crowd.

“Run in a cluster my ass,” Kevin snapped through gritted teeth as he litterally snagged his younger brother from being torn up and carried off again. With Kevin’s guidance, Nick made it into the lobby, practically dragged on his feet backwards and sideways. There wasn’t anytime for him to turn around.

Johnny rubbed his hands together, eyeing the disheveled appearance of Nick and Kevin. “Great, now we can get started.”

“I-I almost was killed out there,” Nick squeaked.

“Carter, you blow EVERYTHING out of proportion! Now, come on, we need to keep on schedule.”

“I need to go to the bathroom Johnny,” Nick stated quietly.

“It can wait until we get back to the hotel!” the manager hissed.

Sweat started beading on the young singer’s forehead and the color was draining from his face. “Please, I’m serious! I really have to go.”

“What the hell has gotten into you Carter?” Johnny growled as he surveyed the teen squirming in front of him.

Nick glared angrily at the dark manager. “You know exactly what got into me!”

Before Johnny could reply, Nick took off towards where he thought he saw the familiar “stick figures” for restrooms, ignoring Johnny’s yells for him to come back.

“What is Nick talking about?” Kevin asked when he overheard the end of the abruptly ended conversation.

“Nothing, just forget it. I think Nick needs a little more lessons on tact is all.”

Pushing the heavy door that led to the restrooms open, Nick found himself in a narrow hall, two closed doors at the end. “Great, it’s in fricken Italian,” he mumbled as he stared at the doors. Waiting a moment, he hoped that someone would exit so he would know which one was the men’s room.

“Okay. I guess I need to take a guess then. Let’s see, UOMINI or DONNE” Nick said to himself outloud as he gestured at the doors.

Swallowing hard, Nick pushed on the door that read DONNE

“HEY! PAZZESCO!”

“Oops, I’m sorry ma’am, I was looking for my mother,” Nick apologized.

“Sick American!”

“Thank god,” Nick sighed as he stepped aside allowing the woman to walk past the threshold. He quickly pushed the correct door open to the men’s bathroom and barely had time to unfasten his pants before another round of the Milk of Magnesia diarrhea hit him with full force.

Compliments of Lou Pearlman’s Miracle Diet Drink.

Quietly, Nick waited for the bathroom to be cleared out before he left the stall, embarrassed about having the nasty spell of diarrhea. He knew he had to have cried out a few times even though he had bit his bottom lip. The cramping in his stomach was severe for some reason this morning but he knew he would have to ride it out for a little longer before he could go back to the hotel and hopefully lay down before sound check.

AJ grinned widely when Nick’s face came into view in the doorway. “Did everything come out alright?”

Letting his backpack fall onto the floor beside him with a thud, Nick groaned inwardly. Wasn’t anything sacred with Bone?

“Well, now that Nick is here, we can start the autograph session,” Johnny announced to the crowd, pausing for the translator. “As I said, single file lines in front of each of the boys. We have only an hour for this session.”

Groans were emitted from the waiting crowd and the boys instantly picked up the black felt markers, waiting for the clock to start.

As they were told in the beginning of Backstreet, never to look up at the line, Nick couldn’t help himself and broke rule number one. His heart started beating harder in his chest when he saw that the line went through the vast hall out past the door. His stomach wasn’t in any mood to agree with him on today of all days.

Looking up, again, the ‘Cardinal Backstreet Rule Number Two’ was about to be broken. Nick saw the woman that he nearly plowed over in his haste to get into the bathroom a short time ago. The woman still didn’t look all too happy with him, in fact, he could have sworn she was staring at him - angrily!

Rule Number Two that was written in the Lou Pearlman’s Backstreet Rules stated that no boy would ever, under any circumstances make direct eye contact with a fan standing in line. It was almost as dangerous as looking directly into the sun.

Now he had broken two rules and his stomach was churning once again. The room marked “UOMINI or was that DONNE?” was calling his name again. The hard glare he caught from the corner of his eye by Johnny told him that neither room would be calling out his name. Keeping his head down, he furiously scribbled “Nick Carter” as if he were a worker on an assembly line, almost as if his very life depended upon it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lazily dragging his backpack on the floor behind as he walked down the hall, all Nick could think was his room, his bed and sleep. This tour stop he was graciously allowed a room to himself, much to his surprise as well as the others. It was Mr. Pearlman’s decision that Nick should have a turn being alone and he was more than happy to accept the fat manager’s offer.

“Where do you think you’re going to boy?”

Blood froze in his veins when Nick heard the manager’s voice echo in the hall.

“I told you I wanted to talk to you when you got back from the meet and greet!”

“I-I wass just gonna lay down,” Nick stammered his defense. His body tightened up when a hand clamped down hard on his shoulder.

“Well I was going to talk to you in my suite.”

Nick winced hearing Pearlman clarify that he had a suite. He winced each time the fat man pointed out how great his accomodations were.

“Can’t we just talk in my room? I’m really not feeling so hot.”

Instead of giving into Nick’s suggestion, he felt an arm being draped across his shoulder. “You can come with me up to my room son. We have to have a lenghty talk and I’m sure we won’t be bothered in my suite.”

“Can I just let someone know where I’m going?” Nick asked as he slowed his steps, trying to stall Pearlman from taking him to the elevator.

The fat man chuckled. “There’s no reason to worry about that. I’m taking care of you.”

“But...” Nick tried in vain to protest only to get strongly guided onto the elevator. He could have sworn he heard the cables groan under the added weight of the bulky manager when he set foot into the car.

The ride to Pearlman’s floor was in total silence. Nick wasn’t sure what the man was going to say to him, but he knew that it wouldn’t be a pleasant conversation and he was scared. Once the car stopped on the fat man’s floor, Nick could only allow himself to be led down to the room. Like a puppy being taken from his home by it’s master.

“Alright, sit down Nick,” Lou directed with a fat finger.

The young teen sat on the edge of the bed, as told, placing his backpack quietly on the floor beside him. He watched as the manager lumbered his bulk across the carpeted floor, waddling back and forth, labored breathing as his body was protesting the amount of exercise he was placing on his chubby legs.

“Can you tell me why I wanted to see you after your obligations this morning?”

Nick looked at the fat man for moment, a thoughtful expression on his face followed by a deep frown. “I dunno.”

“Do you recall our agreement with the diet drink?”

Watching Pearlman continue to pace the floor, Nick nodded. “Yeah, and you told me to try it and if I didn’t like it, I could stop drinking it.”

Lou stopped his pace, shaking his head, making his chins jiggle in the process. “Why do you keep insisting that I told you that you could stop the drink?”

“Because you did!”

”Bullshit!”the manager bellowed sharply. “I have reason to believe you’ve stopped drinking this on your own. Am I correct?”

Nick flinched hearing the sharp lies being directed at him by the manager.

“NO! I’m still drinking it! Honest!”

“Then how do you explain gaining three pounds?”

Looking down at his lap, Nick could only shrug his shoulders.

“Ah-ha, that’s what I thought.” Starting his pace once again, the fat manager stopped by the winow. “I want you to start drinking more of the formula, you need to drink it in front of me too. Plus weigh in daily now.”

“Drink more?” Nick squeaked, tears pooling in his eyes.

“Yes, and you need to eat too, you’re starving the body and you can’t do that either because it won’t work on getting rid of the stored up fat in your system.”

“You’re fuckin’ crazy!” Nick shouted.

As quickly as the words left his mouth, the manger retailated with a back hand across the young man’s cheek. Nick instantly held his palm up to the stinging cheek.

“I own you boy, and you will do as I say and you won’t breathe a word to anyone about this or there will be severe punishments. Mark my words.”

Nick whimpered as he listened to the rules that the obese manager was laying on him. He could only shake his head in agreement everytime the fat man paused, only because he was afraid that he would be hit again.

“Go wash your face up, and when you come back out here, I want you to drink the formula in front of me, got it?”

A dark feeling crept into Nick’s heart as he grabbed his backpack and stood up. Pearlman had his back to him so there wasn’t any questions about him taking the pack along into the bathroom. His hopes sank when Pearlman barked.

”Leave the bag out here!”

Reluctantly, Nick turned around and placed the backpack ontop of the bed. He quickly walked back toward the bathroom and closed the door.

“Why can’t you fight back?” he whimpered as he stared at his tear streaked cheeks. One cheek was reddened by the slap that had been delivered by the manager minutes ago. “You’re nothing but a coward Carter.”

“Who are you talking to in there? You better not be on a cell phone!” the manger growled.

“No one, must be the tv,” Nick lied.

He focused his attention back to the mirror and quickly looked away, not wanting to see his reflection. Splashing cool water on his face, he mentally wished that the water would take away the horrible feelings of guilt about himself he had been feeling lately.

“Nick, I don’t have all day, hurry up I’m a busy man!”

As he hastily dried his face, Nick wanted to scream into the towel. He was sick of the manager’s demands, sick of his life on the road and sick of himself for being such a coward. He opened the door to find Pearlman standing by the bed, holding the bottle of the diet drink in his chubby fist.

“Okay, I need you to take a big drink from the bottle!”

“But, we have a show to do tonight. I’ll be too sick!” Nick protested as he stared at the bottle.

Pearlman shook his head. “Nonesense! That’s all in your head boy!”

Tears started welling up in Nick’s eyes. “I’m telling you I’ll be in the bathroom the whole time. This stuff makes me sick! Please, don’t make me drink anymore of this.”

“I don’t have any other choice son, we can’t let you get any bigger than you already are.”

“I-I can diet on my own, please don’t make me drink that stuff anymore!”

Lou sighed as he stared at the young teen’s face. As if the boy was reading his thoughts, Nick broke in. “I’ll do anything you ask, but please, don’t make me drink that anymore.... please.”

“Okay, this is what I can do, but you have to follow this or the deal is off, do you understand?”

Nick anxiously nodded, hoping that the deal the fat man was about to offer in exchange for not drinking the diet drink would be something he could handle.

“You can stop this drink and diet on your own, however, and I want you to listen closely you will be weighed daily and I will take measurements daily. Is that understood because if you can’t handle this I will be forced to have you start drinking the formula again.”

Nick looked the manager directly into his eyes. “Yessir.”

“Good. I’ll be holding onto the formula so if you screw up Nick, you’ll have to take this again. We can’t have you get any fatter than you already are. The fans are noticing and the press. You’re getting so out of shape you’re breathing heavy into your headset. You need to take control of this now before you get in too deep.”

“Thank you sir, I will. You won’t regret this.”

Pearlman waved the boy off and waited until the door softly closed before he picked up his phone.

“Yes, this is Lou Pearlman in suite eight sixteen. I would like to meet with the hotel dietician and if it’s possible, I would like to speak with a pharmacist.....”

52 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 52

Nick stared at his sweaty reflection in the eerie glow of the mirror that was propped off stage. He was absorbed in what he saw, taking in every feature. Instead of seeing a young man whose face was flushed from playing to 20,000 screaming fans, Nick’s critical eyes only saw a bloated face that was red and sweaty from the stress that was placed on his weight taxed body.

“Kid, you gotta get back out there, you’re gonna miss your cue!”

“He’s spaced out again!”

“Nicky! C’mon, we gotta get back out there!”

Nick jerked when he felt a forceful poke on his shoulder. “Huh?”

“Showtime buddy, remember it’s what we’re suppose to do,” Kevin barked into Nick’s ear. His facial expression quickly changed from irritation to sympathetic. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Nick grunted as he adusted the headset.

It was all one big lie but there wasn’t anyway he was going to cry to Kevin about what he was thinking, god forbid how he was feeling, Nick decided as he followed his brother out onto the stage.

Taking his usual position on stage, Nick couldn’t help but notice the nasty look he got from Tommy and he knew that the man wasn’t happy that he more than likely had to play the intro to the next song five times over before he finally appeared onstage to start the next segment in the concert.

Shrugging his shoulders as he directed his gaze towards the floor, Nick decided that it was, after all, Tommy’s job so he would have to deal with it.

The speech Lou Pearlman had said to Nick the other day weighed heavily in his heart and mind. He was more aware of all of the steps he made as well as the way he breathed, talked, even sang into the headset. All he could think of when camera flashes went off was that the pictures would produce more evidence for Lou to be on his case about his appearance.

The preshow catered meal was a disaster and although he was practically starving, Nick didn’t touch a morsel, only sticking to bottled water, in his desperate hopes of shedding the three pounds that had mysteriously showed up at the weigh in the other day. Instead of feeling energized, he felt dizzy.

Brian couldn’t help but notice how Nick was acting a little “off” during the show and kept his eyes trained on his little brother. He hoped that it was only the cold that Nick had caught that was bothering the young man. His gaze connected with his cousin’s several times during the second half of the show and Kevin gave Brian a slight nod as if to say “I can see it too.”

At the end of the show, Brian stood next to Nick and took his hand for their final bow. Flipping the microphone away from his mouth, Brian leaned toward his brother. “Are you feeling alright?” he yelled above the roar of the packed venue.

Nick scowled. “Huh?”

”I said ARE YOU ALRIGHT?”

Brian dropped with the questioning when he realized that he wasn’t getting anywhere without looking obvious on stage and continued taking the bows and playing to the crowd. After the boys ran off to the side, Brian stopped Nick.

“Are you feeling okay?”

The sound tech stepped in front of Brian and Nick. “I need the headsets people!”

In a sweeping motion, both pulled the equipment off their heads, handing it to the young woman, Nick never stopping the whole time, Brian tagging along behind.

“Are you feeling okay?” Brian pressed.

Nick continued toward the dressing room, anxious to get his gear so he could get back to the hotel and take a shower. A firm hand on his right forearm told him otherwise.

“I asked you a question,” Brian tried again, moving his hand toward Nick’s face.

Nick quickly shied away from the hand. “What are you doing?”

“I wanna see if you have a temp.”

“Jesus Bri, leave me alone!”

Nick trudged toward the dressing room, leaving Brian standing alone. Instead of letting the topic drop, Brian half ran, half walked after the tall blond. “You know you should tell someone if you’re sick.”

He stopped at the door, his shoulders sagging. Nick never turned to face his older band brother. “What part of leave me alone didn’t you understand?”

“Better hurry up, bus is going to leave without you people,” Johnny barked as he walked past.

Brian followed Nick into the room and grabbed his duffle bag, slinging it over his shoulder. “You know you should tell someone if you don’t feel good Nick.”

Nick didn’t look up as he grabbed his Nintendo Game Boy and a sweatshirt, throwing it roughly into the dark backpack. “Yeah, but there’s nothing wrong and it wouldn’t make any difference if I did. Just drop it.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Laying in bed, Nick was determined to avoid the temptations his body was sending his brain. It was insisting that he needed food.

Now.

Room service had mysteriously showed up an hour after he had arrived back from the venue and the hostess refused to take no for an answer when he tried to get her to take the tray back. The smells from the cart was tempting, but Nick kept himself strong, not daring to lift a cover off of any of the platters.

Now it was as if the food was calling out to his food deprived mind.

Rolling over, Nick grabbed a pillow and pulled it over his head, trying to block out the cart and the thoughts of eating.

“Be strong Carter, you don’t need this,” he coached himself.

Several minutes of trying to push the thoughts that his stomach was hurting from being empty, Nick rolled over and grabbed the phone, punching in the number to AJ and Howie’s room. After several rings, someone finally answered.

“Yeah.”

“Howie? It’s Nick.”

A loud yawn was offered in reply followed by the sound of a light clicking on in the background. “Nick, it’s one o’clock in the morning, go to sleep.”

“I’m hungry.”

“Then eat,” Howie mumbled.

“I can’t.”

The normally peaceful Howie Dorough sighed impatiently. “Why not?”

“I just can’t.”

A loud sigh was heard from the Latino. “You called me at 1 am to tell me that you can’t eat? Good night Nick.”

“But..” The sound of a dial tone in his ear announced to Nick that Howie’s end of the conversation was over.

“God, at least weight watchers has friends you can call,” Nick mumbled as he softly placed the receiver back onto the cradle.

Staring at the food cart, Nick finally threw the covers off his legs and quietly padded over to look at the contents on the platters. His hopes that there would be spinache casserole and sushi were soon dashed when he discovered a greasy cheeseburger, golden brown onion rings and a pile of french fries. Another plate held a generous slab of rich chocolate cake and a third held a dish which probably had ice cream in it but it was now melted into a pool of vanilla liquid.

Before he realized what he had done, a ‘little taste’ ended up being a ravenous binge and Nick had consumed everthing that was offered on the room service cart.

“Oh shit, what did I do?” he moaned as his stomach protested the unreasonable amount of food that he had stuffed into it.

Dismay quickly turned to humilitiation. He wanted to crawl back into his bed and hide. “You’re nothing but a pig. How can you keep doing this to yourself?”

Looking in the mirror, all Nick could see was the fat that would surely appear once the food was digested into his body. The boxers that he had worn to bed felt tight around his bloated waist, only physically confirming to Nick that he was a fat pig.

The humiliation turned to anger when his eyes fell onto the room service bill. It wasn’t the amount of food that was listed on the bill that got Nick upset. It was the name on the bill that made his face flush with anger. The name and the notation: Send confirmation and billing invoice to Mr. Louis Pearlman, Suite 1418.

He had been set up!

*~*~*~*~*~*

“AJ.... is that you?”

A loud belch followed by a series of hiccups verified the tattooed man’s presence in the room.

Rolling over to look at the clock, Howie squinted. “They must not have last call in this country.”

“I got tired,” AJ slurred, sitting down heavily on Howie’s bed, hitting the Latino in the foot. He quickly mumbled an apology as he leaned forward to cradle his head in his hands.

“I didn’t think your arm could get tired.”

“Ha, funny.”

“I got an odd call from Nick a little bit ago.”

AJ kept his head down. “About what?”

“He said he was hungry.”

“And that was odd? We’re talking about Nick Carter, human eating machine.”

“Yeah, but I guess I was sort of nasty to him and hung up on him.”

“God D, *hic* you’re only human, you *hic* be perfect 24/7,” came the slurred reply.

“I guess. Why don’t you go lay on your bed and try to sleep off that hangover you’ll be getting.”

AJ stood up, swaying. “Whoa, head rush,” he snickered. “For the record, I’m not drunk.”

Drawing the blankets up to his chin, Howie mumbled. “Yeah and I’m the Pope.”

It only took a few moments before Howie was fast asleep and snoring softly.

As best as he could, AJ tiptoed toward the door, putting his index finger to his lips when he accidentally bumped the dresser on his way out. Softly closing the door behind him, he was thankful to see that the halls were empty.

AJ glanced at the food service cart as he pounded loudly on Nick’s door. “Judas, he wasn’t kidding. Open up in Nick!”

Reaching down to jiggle the handle, he discovered it was unlocked. ‘What a dumbass, Lou would be pissed if he knew Nick was a sitting duck in an unlocked room,’ AJ thought to himself.

With a smirk on his face, he shouted, “Hey Nicky, why the hell didn’t you lock up when you came back? Are you expecting some company?”

As he waited for Nick to reply with one of his smart come backs, AJ thought he heard the sound of someone gagging and throwing up. Rushing through the unlocked door, AJ stood outside of the bathroom door, wincing as he heard Nick getting sick. “Shit man, what’s wrong with you?”

As he waited for a reply, he heard the sounds of Nick coughing, the toilet flushing and water being turned on in the sink. Feeling that Nick didn’t hear him when he came in, AJ timidly knocked on the bathroom door.

The door quickly flung open and Nick came out, wiping his hands with a towel. AJ eyed Nick’s blotchy, sweaty complextion.

“How..” Nick stopped to clear his throat. “How did you get in here?”

“Your door was unlocked, do you always leave your room door unlocked?”

“I must not have shut it tight when I came in.”

“Yeah or probably when you let room service leave.”

AJ could see Nick’s posture stiffen. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Nicky, I saw the room service cart outside your door..”

Nick threw the towel into a corner by the beds. “That doesn’t mean it’s mine!”

“You called Howie and told him you were hungry...”

A dark look crept over Nick’s face. “Have you been drinking?”

“Nice try on changing the subject. Why were you getting sick?”

“I-I’m still getting over that flu.”

As he approached the younger band memeber, AJ held his hand out to check Nick’s forehead. Nick successfully ducked.

“Are you freakin’ queer or something?”

“I wanted to see if you have a temp since you say you’re sick.”

“Why don’t you go take a flying leap or something? Isn’t there a bottle of JD callin’ you?”

“Nick, if there’s something you want to tell me, you know I’ll listen to you....”

Walking toward the front door, Nick fumbled with the knob a few times before he was successful in throwing the door open. “Go back to your room and sleep it off!”

“Why does everyone think I’m drunk?”

“Because you are. Leave. Here. Now.”

Reluctantly, AJ walked toward the open door, pausing beside his young brother, laying a hand on his shoulder. “You know you can talk to me Kaos. Anytime you need someone to listen to you, you can count on me. I won’t go back and tell anyone what we talk about, okay?”

Nick shrugged AJ’s hand off his shoulder. “Yeah. I’ll make a note of it. Go to bed.”

AJ had no other choice but to leave the room when Nick gently pushed on his back. Hearing the click of the door and the sound of the dead bolt being slid into place, he knew that Nick had ended the conversation for tonight.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Nick leaned his elbows on his knees, placing his head in his hands. Suddenly he felt out of control. He wasn’t happy with how his life was going, the demands that were constantly being placed on him and now he felt that he was a failure in everything he tried to do.

53 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 53

Kevin groaned. He hated early mornings and eating breakfast at seven o'clock in the morning was not his cup of tea. He could have done with a few more hours of sleep. Heavy bags under his eyes and tousled hair proved that he was as far from the handsome celebrity that he usually was. They were all more or less looking burned out and the only comfort was that it was less than two weeks before they would be on the plane back to the states and have a weeks rest.

He wanted nothing more than meet Kristin, tell him how much he missed her and that he was sorry for the jerk that he had been. It was so hard being on the road all the time and being the male that he was, he loved women. He was a legs man and a pair of beautiful legs had him always on the rope. And this is what had happened this time too. A pair of long tanned legs sitting on a beautiful blonde model had him breaking up a realtionship that had been on the verge of collapsing many times. It was so hard being faithful on the road.

Sighing heavly several times he got his cousin's attention.

"What are you thinking of?" Brian asked as he took a bite of the toast in front of him. "Something bothering you?"

Kevin shook his head, staring blankly in front of him with a sad look in his eyes, then he returned back to his coffee cup.

"Heīs homesick," Howie explained, turning page on the morning paper that he was reading. AJ was nowhere to be seen, off nursing an impending headache.

"Ainīt we all?" Brian groaned, suddenly remembering Leigh back home. Oh he would do anything to be with her, if only for a few days. He too longed for going back home for a few weeks of rest. But he also had to go down to the hospital for some tests for his upcoming surgery. He knew that the doctors wanted him to do the surgery as fast as possible but Lou wanted them to wait a couple of months and finally Brian had agreed on this. They were in the middle of touring and they would travel around in the states after the break. The surgery was scheduled at the end of May and he dreaded this. Even more than he ever wanted to admit.

What if things went bad?

Shrugging back the unwanted thoughts, Brian yawned loudly, "Dude I could do with a few more hours of rest. Right Frack?" he added, glancing over at his young friend. Getting no response back he noticed Nick sitting like a robot, stirring his cup with a spoon with small circular motions. He looked like he was in another world. "Hey dude are you asleep?" Brian grinned, trying to get his friend's attention with waving him infront of him with his hand, "Earth to Nick!"

"Donīt," Nick muttered, waving away his friends hand. Annoyed.

A bit surprised over this reaction the Kentuckian asked, "Dude what's the matter with you? You ok?"

"Yes!" Nick offered nothing more, continuing to stir.

"Leave him be," Howie said, still not looking up from the newspaper. "Heīs just tired."

"Really?" Kevin turned towards Nick, concerned etched in his face, "You didnīt sleep?"

"Yes." There were annoyance in the teens voice, but he made no move to stop the robotic movements and continued staring into space.

"Well that was NOT what AJ was saying." This time Howie looked up from his paper. Glancing around at them all he continued, "Bone said that he was sick!"

"Sick?" Both Brian and Kevin said in unison, staring at Nick who groaned inwardly. Now all hell would break loose!

"Youīre sick?" Brian nudged Nick' arm in concern.

"No."

"Why does Howie say that then?" He pressed on not letting go of his eyes on the pale blonde.

"No idea," Nick muttered looking up slowly, "Maybe it's because AJ is stupid."

"What?" Kevin butted into the conversation, "Why do you say that?" Howie looked just as curious as the older man.

"Because he lies." Nick offered no further explanation, sipping slowly on his tea.

"Well that was NOT what AJ said." Howie said dramatically, setting his eyes into Nick who shrugged away, uncomfortable. "He said that you puked your guts out!"

"WHAT?" The cousins said in union, again, frowned etched on their foreheads. Nick couldnīt help but smile. The Kentuckians were so alike, yet so different. Kevin was the first to open his mouth. "Nick why didnīt you say that you were sick?"

"Because Iīm not."

"So you mean that throwing your guys up ainīt being sick?" Kevin continued a bit irritated, "You canīt go on not telling us when you feel bad."

"I donīt feel bad." Nick defended himself, wishing that they would drop the subject. Deep inside he really wanted to tell them about the mess he had gotten himself into. That he was using laxatives to keep his weight down and bínge eating and how depressed he felt. Yet he couldnīt bare to say those words. Feeling much too disgusted with himself.

He sighed. They wouldnīt understand anyway.

"Then why did AJ say that you did?" Brian asked slowly, not turning off his gaze on Nick. The young teen fidgeted uncomfortably.

"Because."

"Because what? Is that all you can say?" Kevin was getting impatient. He was getting tired of Nick uttering the one and same word. This was a habit his little brother had, and now it was the word "because" that was high on his list. He couldnīt help to feel a tad concerned over the way Nick was acting. There was something worrysome over the way he looked and to hear that Nick was sick during the nights scared him. What if there was something seriously wrong with his "little" brother?

" Because he was drunk on his ass!" Nick spat.

The three man looked at him like he was something that the cat had spit up on the rug. "Youīre saying that Bone was lying?" Howie asked slowly.

Suddenly Nick felt bad. He didn't want to drag his friend into the dirt. Ok AJ was drunk that one was for sure, but he wasnīt too drunk not to remember anything and this Howie knew too. Yet he didnīt want them to know about the eating binge. He was stuck in a situation that tore him up inwards.

"Yes," he heard himself saying, "AJ came busting into my room drunk as an ass." He waved dramatically with his hand as the show how fast Bone had swept in. "He woke me up, yelled something and then left." Nick could have bit his lip and noticing the looks his friends gave him in disbelief he felt like he wanted to sink through a whole in the ground.

His life was becoming more and more like a lie and he didnīt like it!

"He did that?" Kevin was the only one to respond, there were a mixture of doubt and concern in his eyes. Brian looked at him with sadness and Nick knew the second they would be alone Brian would start questioning about his binge eating. And he would lie like so many times before. There was nothing wrong with him, was there?

Needing to support his own story Nick nodded frantically. He had to support his stupid story. "Yup! He was totalllyyyy drunk on his aaassssss!"

"Ok." There was silence in the room again. The tension evident. For a moment Nick felt like he wanted to cry. None of them had believed him and suddenly he had to get out of the room before he would burst. He felt disgusted with himself for lying to his friends and pissing on AJ. He was about to get out when Lou suddenly burst into the room.

"Good morning boys," the manager entered the room with a large grin on his lips and Johnny in a tow. Getting no response back he said with false cheerfullness, "Why are you boys so gloomly when we have another exciting day ahead of us?" He looked sternly at the boys, one boy one.

"Nick is throwing up." Brian said flatly.

At that moment the teen felt ready to kill his friend. Why did he have to say something like that to Lou of all people? Ok he knew that Brian's intentions were the best. He probably hoped to gain some understanding, but instead it worked in reverse. "Really?" Lou said, setting his eyes into Nick's. "How come?"

Now Nick felt trapped. Desperately he searched for something to say. If he lied he would drag AJ down the dirt since then Lou would be pissed at him for drinking too much and the last thing he needed was to have the manager being on his friends case. He would always be forced to take the fall! Ands if he said that it was true he would have BOTH the guys AND the management down his throat. No matter what he said he would loose.

Swallowing hard he wanted to get out of this situation. He needed to get out. Fast.

Johnny was the one to save him, "Maybe itīs that flu that have had Kaos in itīs grips. Iīve been feeling a bit sick too." Nick knew that it was a lie and he secretly wondered what made the manager say something like this. Saving his ass.

"Yeah maybe." Kevin said with a frown. Howie nodded too, but he wasnt buying it either.

Lou not wanting to talk more about the subject ruffled Nick's hair, "Well the main reason is that Nicky is ok, right son?" Smiling towards the teen his facial expression held double messages. His mouth was smiling, but his eyes were not.

Shrugging away Nick said nothing. He didnīt want Lou's disgusting hand on him. It made him feel dirty. Noticing this repulsion, Lou continued a bit harsh, "You better clean up your acts." He glared over the silent group, "You are on tour and not in some funeral home!"

"Weīre tired," Howie defended the group.

"Tired?" Lou snorted, "Then maybe you shouldnīt stay up and party so hard." His eyes slid over the men that looked like they wanted all to crawl back to bed and not sit here this early in the morning.

"We didnīt."

Lou glared over at Kevin who had felled the comment. Scanning around in the room he noticed one band member missing, "Yeah and where is AJ?"

Feeling rebellious towards the manager, not wanting him to find out that about AJīs hungover, Nick blurted out, "He probably has the same kind of shit like I do."

"Oh well," Lou changed topics fast, "I want you all to be with me at eight o'clock, packed and ready to go." There was a groan in the group since they had to travel to yet another city for a concert, stopping along the way to do public relations events.

Nick breathed a sigh of relief, Lou hadnīt bashed him. But say the joy that lasts for long. Not before he had thought it out he heard Lou's booming voice calling for him, "Nick!" His tone held authority and he pricked up his attention.

"Yeah?"

" I want you to come up to my room after breakfast. I want to talk with you." It wasnīt a question a question more a demand.

All of the men including Johnny looked strangely at Nick and Lou. Surprise shining in their eyes. Nodding Nick felt the dread creep up inside him.

Not knowing what to expect!

54 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection-Chapter 54 "What?" Nick asked irritated when Brian glared over at his side for the fifth time in just as many minutes. Lou had left the room and he was doing his best to finish up his breakfast. Not having much of an appetite, the toast feeling like lead in his stomach. "What are you staring at?"

"Is that ALL youīre going to eat?" Kevin asked, pointing with a fork towards Nickīs almost clean plate. "Dude, didnīt you hear what Lou said? We have a busy schedule."

"Like I donīt know that," Nick muttered, nibbling on the dry toast. His stomach was doing sommersaults and he dreaded going to meet Lou. Knowing his own luck Lou would probably force him to take MOM again and this was NOT something that he intended to do. Never again. He would rather starve himself!

"What did you say?" Now Brian was joining the conversation too, expecting Nick to say something more.

Groaning, the teen mumbled, "Nothing." Ok, here we go, Nick thought darkly. He could hear on their voices that he was in for another round of getting questioned about his health.

Frowning Howie turned towards him, "Whatīs the matter with you? You seem so off" There was genuine concern in his deep brown eyes.

Nick suddenly feeling trapped having all eyes look at him, yelled, "Donīt you ever listen? I said that it was nothing and that I was fine. Now leave me alone." Sneering, he pushed the plate away, dramaticaly. "Youīre not my fucking mothers!"

"Watch your language," Kevin hissed.

"Chill out," there was a hurt tone in Howie's voice. "Man I was just asking if you were ok."

Finally having enough and needing to get out of the room, Nick stood up abruptly, pushing his chair back. "Youīre all trying to control me," he yelled, napkin falling to the ground. "Controlling me like everyone else!" The teen was causing a riot in the breakfast room and the chatter that had been so evident was suddenly silenced, the guests turning their attention to the table in the right corner, and especially on a certain blond. Glancing around in the room Nick shouted, "Fuck all of you!" He stormed out from the room leaving the boys staring after him in confusion.

"NICK get the he.." Kevin called out, about to chew the teen out, but he stopped in midsentence when Howie grabbed his arm, shaking his head, "Donīt."

Brian was on the verge of running after Nick too when Howie interrupted the both hot tempered cousins, "No, Let him be."

Sighing, the cousins nodded. They were both very concerned but Howie was right, there were no point running after Nick when he was in a mood like this. He would only tell them off.

Outside in the corrdior AJ walked out of the elevator, a bit late since he was sleeping in due to a gigantic headache, in other words a mother of an hungover. Rubbing his temples he cursed management for not scheduling any free time. It was way too early for him and he sincerely doubted that he would be able to eat anything. Yet Lou had called him on his phone saying that he better get his ass down at breakfast. Pronto. When he tried to say that he wasnīt feeling well all he got back was a snort. Mr. Pearlman was not that easily fooled.

Not paying attention to where he was walking, he suddenly bumped into someone. Irritated that this person interrupted him in his thoughts he muttered, "Watch where the hell where youīre going." AJ`s morning temper left little to be desired.

"Oh Iīm sorry," a familiar voice said and he looked into the eyes of his "little" brother.

"Nick? What the hell are you doing here?"

"What does it look like?" Nick snapped, suddenly changing his tone drastically.

AJ never having far from some sneered comments said, "Ouch touchy much?" He added with a large grin, "Whatīs the hurry? Did you fart and crap your pants?" Giggling like a school boy at his own joke.

"Man youīre sick." Nick rolled his eyes, attempting to push past the skinny man, but looks were decieving him. AJ used to work out and was much stronger than his fragile appearance let on.

"Whoaaa, hold there man," he caught the blond by his arm. "Whereīs the fire? In your ass?" He chuckled even more. No doubt refering to the teen's previous predictment.

Glaring at him, not wanting to answer, Nick muttered, "Let me go!"

"NO!" Suddenly AJ said with another tone, a more serious one, "Dude are you ok?"

"Yeah, why shouldnīt I be?" the teen was doing his best to swallow down the tears that were threatning to errupt. "Now let me go."

"Uh-huh," AJ shook his head. "First you gonna tell me where youīre heading and why you look like youīre about to start bawling."

"Iīm not!"

"Yes you are," AJ snickered. Taking a good look at Nick who was fighting to get away from his friend's firm grip. Even if AJ was a small guy he still was pretty strong and when it came to wrestling there wasn't many guys that could beat him. "Man, whatīs the problem?"

"I said leave me alone." Nick spat out the words, jerking with his arm to get away from AJīs grip. "Get the hell away from me." The tears burned in the corner of his eyes and he had to get away before he would embarrass himself even more than he was doing. Some guests had stopped, taking in the arguing that was in front of them.

Sensing the seriousness in the young man's tone AJ let go of his grip, almost sending Nick down on his butt from the force of letting go. The teen gained back his balance and then ran into the available car, pushing the button to his level in a hurry.

"Man, whatīs eating your ass?" AJ muttered as he saw the door close and the elevator take off. Shaking his head as much as he dared too without the headache threatning to split his skull in half he decided to join the others in the restaurant. When entering the big room he spotted Brian, Howie and Kevin engrossed in a lively discussion. Walking up to them he heard Nick's name being mentioned and it was clear that the blond's strange behavoir was the center of attention.

"Iīm telling you there is something seriously wrong," Brian said with despiration in his voice, "Nick is having some issues."

AJ hesitated momentarily before interrupting their conversation, "Hey what is the problem with Kaos? Heīs acting like an ass." He grinned trying to smooth over the situation when he saw Brian's serious face glaring up at him, "I mean he is being more a pain in the butt than ever. Itīs almost like he has PMS!"

"Stop that," Brian muttered, twisting the napkin in his hand. He was in no mood for one of AJīs snide remarks.

"Jeeze, lighten up broī," AJ patted the Kentuckian lightly on his back. Brian shrugged away like he had been burned. Noticing this, AJ added with a frown, "Man you sure are tight." He turned towards Kevin who looked just as upset as his cousin, but he was doing his best to hide it. "Dude what is the matter with you two?" Stopping for a second to think he added, "Does this have something to do with Kaos running out of the room, looking like he was about to bawl his eyes out?"

"As a matter of fact..Yes." Howie said with a sigh, mentioning with his hand towards the empty chair beside him, "Sit down we gotta talk."

"Talk about what?" AJ looked skeptical, but did as the Latino directed. He knew when Howie was set to talk there was generally something serious since the dark haired man did his best to negotiate as long as possible. Stalling situations.

"About Nick, weīre really concerned about him..."

*************************************************

'Man my life really sucks,' Nick pondered sitting on the side of his bed, holding a small bottle of pills in his hand. Every so often he glared at the contents and shook the bottle so the small white pills rolled around making a jiggling sound. His mind debated over and over again if he should go ahead and take one or if he should stop. A part of him thought that it would be a great idea, then another part told him that he was being a dumbfuck!

"At least it canīt hurt," he told himself, reading the the label. Diplex! 'It donīt sound harmful at all,' Nick concluded as he popped off the lid. Lou had given him these small pills telling him that he could try this one. At first Nick had been very skeptical. After all, the manager had forced him to take that magnesia milk crap resulting in days of living hell. But then Lou had offered him this bottle and recluctantly he had taken it.

Nick had been prepared to have been chewed out by Lou for his binge eating. He figured he would be in for a long lecture but to his surprise Lou hadnīt yelled at him and he was certain that the manager knew that the food cart had been emptied because the bill was laying on the man's dresser when he last checked in with the manager.

Was Lou finally regretting the way he had acted towards him?

He could only hope.

'I better take these babies,' he thought staring at the small white pills in the palm of his hand. 'My life canīt suck anymore than it does right now anyway.' Mentally he debated whether or not he should take them dry or if he should wash it down with some water or something. The previous night when he had felt like crap he had opened a bottle of gatorade and now it was sitting on the counter, half full.

Picking it up he took a small swig. It was stale and he almost gagged at the piss-warm taste. The bottle directed to take one pill twice daily and Nick was doing his usual business of always making up his own rules, thought that when he finally was going to take this stuff he might as well give it more increased effect. As he started to pluck the meds from his hand, a loud shrill was heard from the telephone, interrupting his actions.

Who would call him this time of hour? As far as he knew the guys were still down in the restaurant and he didnīt think that they cared if he was sitting alone in his hotel room, rotting away. Beside he would soon meet them in Lou's room. Surprised he picked up the phone, almost expecting to hear either Lou's or Johnny's voice chewing his ass out. Or it could be some derranged fan that just wanted to hear his voice and then tell her friends that she had spoken to the "real" Nick Carter!

Who else would call him and ask what he was up to?

"Yeah!" he muttered into the lure, not giving away his true name incase it was a fan that was calling.

"Nick?" A female voice asked on the other side of the line. A voice that he knew very well and upon hearing this voice Nick felt his body go all warm and tingling.

"Manda?" he called out, happiness and warmth radiating throughout his whole body. For a moment he thought that he had never been this happy to hear his girl friend before. It was like she was a gift from heaven, an angel, that was sent to cheer him up now when he was feeling low and useless. "Oh Manda," he continued, smiling widely to himself, "You have NO idea how much Iīve missed you." He was sincere in his feelings and he wanted nothing more than to hug her, feel her body close to him.

There was a brief moment of silence.

"Manda?" he said a bit louder, suddenly not feeling so secure anymore. He could hear her breathe in on the other side and then it came. Errupting like an volcano!

"How the hell could you do this to me!" She was yelling so loud, screaming obsentites like an obsessed lunatic, that Nick had to hold the phone away from his ear or he was scared that his eardrum would burst from the pressure.

"But..but.." Nick started a bit confused, immediatly getting cut off by his girlfriend who told him what a loser he was. He had no idea what he had done this time and he fidgeted uncomfortably.

"I thought that we had something going on," Manda yelled, "But now you blew it by screwing around with that bitch!"

Screwing around? Nick was slowly taking in the words from the other line. Manda was thinking that he had been cheating on her. And that he had NOT done. No way! Relieved that it was nothing worse he made his mind up to talk to her and tell her that it was just a mistake.

"Mandy Poh," he started, getting abruptly interrupted by a sour, "What?" Immediately she made him feel unsure of himself and to his dismay he started to stutter. As he always did when he was nervous.

"Ma..manda..li..listen.to.to.m..mm..meee." He managed to get out before she fell a deathly comment to him.

"Oh stop that stuttering you sound like damn retard!"

The words were spat out like venom and Nick felt it hit him like an arrow in his chest. Yet he tried to steady himself for her attack and instead said with a soft voice, "Li..listen..ho..honey..I..I.." On the other line he heard her snort and he could just picture her contempt as she listened to his pleading attempts to make her listen to him.

"I di..did..no..not," Fuck he wanted to cry. He couldnīt do this! Manda was right he sounded like a fucking idiot and he hated himself for stuttering like this. Shit she would think he was the biggest loser and no matter what he said she would think that he was a fat dumb nerd!

"I donīt care what you say Nick Carter! Itīs all over the net how you screwed some blonde bimbo with fake boobs!" Her voice was cold and in that instant he realized that no matter what he said she wouldn't listen to him. He was completly making a fool of himself.

"Bu..but itīs..w..wrong..I..I did..no..not da..date a blo..blonde." Nick managed to get out but to no use. He heard a loud snort in the background.

"And that you want me to believe Nick? Youīre a ladies man and that we all know so stop that pitiful excuse of yours."

Nick was getting desperate. He had to get her to listen to him and he wasnīt doing a very good job at it. He had never been cheating on her, never crossed his mind although he was often surrounded by beauties. But he didnīt care about them. He only cared about Manda and now she was doubting him. Thinking that he was a player. For a moment he felt despair wash over him like a wave. There were no way that he could win this battle. Not when Manda was in this mood.

"If youīre going to screw around and care about the fans more than you do about me, we might as well end this realtionship here and now." Manda said coldly and Nick felt like he would burst. How could she be so evil when she knew that he was worshiping the ground that she walked on?

"NOOO...Manda listen!" He yelled as loud as he could, closing his eyes as to stir off the emotions that were raging inside him. He felt so totally devistated that he didnīt know what to do. If she left him he would feel crushed. Heart broken. The only light in his life would be gone!

"Well you better think over your options since I can tell you that there are guys lined up to date me and you, Nick Carter, will regret that you didnīt treat me better." He could hear that she was threatening to hang up on him and despiration snuck up on him.

"No Manda, donīt, listen.." He was talking fast in case that she would hung up on him before he had a chance to say what he had on his mind, "I would never sleep with another girl. I love you Manda and I want to be with you. Only you." Drawing back his breath he waited to see if she was listening to him and he quickly noticed that she was. Not wasting any time he continued, "Youīre the only one that I care for and I want to be with you and.."

He must have said something wrong because she interrupted him suddenly, "That you should have thought about before fucking that fan!" With that she sneered coldly into his ear, "Iīm hanging up now."

"Noooo!!" Nick felt like he would burst and he despirately wanted to stop her from taking actions. Afraid that if she hung up now she would hung up on him forever.

"Bye!" And with that she was gone.

Fuck Fuck Fuck

His whole life was blowing up, piece by piece. Now Manda was leaving him and he felt even more disgusted and small than before. Life was being a bitch to him and he would have done anything to trade his celebrity life to a life of a normal high school student.

"I hate this!" He yelled right out into the air, as he put the phone on the bedstand. Looking down he noticed the small white pills laying there, calling his name. For a moment he thought about taking the whole bottle. Ending his miserable life once and for all, but then he decided against it. With his bad luck he probably would just end up being sick and then people would laugh at the young teen who tried to commit suicide on diet pills. Laughing at himself like a mad man, he shook his head over his own stupid thoughts.

Before knowing what hit him he threw three of the white pills into his mouth, dry swallowing them. If he was lucky they would also deafen the pain that was ripping his whole body apart. Making him feel whole again.

55 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 55

AJ, Kevin, Howie and Brian sat silently on the bus, watching as Lou Pearlman squeezed his massive frame into a booth by the table. The fat manager sighed as he glanced at his wrist watch for the third time since the boys had entered the tour bus.

“As usual, we have are at the mercy of when that kid is going to show up,” Pearlman mumbled, quickly casting a glare at Kevin. “Do you have any idea what’s keeping the boy?”

Kevin met the manager’s glare, not shying away. “He was upset when he left the breakfast table. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had something to do with his mood.”

Pearlman seemed slightly amused by Kevin’s remark, shaking his head causing his chins to sway slightly. “You’re quite humerous, Richardson.” He glanced at his watch again. “I’ll give Mr. Carter five more minutes and then I’ll be garnishing his pay one hundred dollars for every minute he’s late after this.”

”A hundred dollars!” Brian shouted. Howie and Kevin stared at the manager with their mouths agape. AJ however, didn’t seem to care about anything that was going on, he was off in his own little sleepy world trying to fend off the hangover that seemed to be growing as each minute ticked by on the clock.

“I don’t think you can do that,” Kevin retorted.

Pearlman leveled his gaze into the young singer’s green eyes. “I can do whatever I want. I own you.”

“A hundred dollars is a bit excessive,” Brian challenged.

“Maybe he could do something to work off being late, but seriously, a hundred dollars?” Howie questioned quietly, afraid to speak up.

The humming of the bus engine was the only sound in answer to Howie’s question. Pearlman didn’t wish to speak further on the subject; content with sitting and staring out the window looking for the missing Backstreet Boy.

“Well, well,” the manager chuckled as he looked at his watch again. The doors to the bus swished open and Nick came into view followed by Johnny Wright. “We’re going to have to teach you how to read a clock. Isn’t that something you were suppose to have been taught by second grade?”

“I found him sitting in his room in the dark,” Johnny explained, taking a seat in the booth across from Pearlman.

Upon hearing that Nick was sitting alone in the dark, his bandmates glanced at each other, concern etched on their faces.

Brian couldn’t help but notice Nick’s flushed complextion and red rimmed eyes. “Are you alright?”

Nick kept his gaze trained to his lap, refusing to make eye contact. “I’m fine,” he mumbled.

Brian pressed, not wishing to drop the subject. He was alarmed at Nick’s flat, monotoned voice. “Something’s bothering you, let’s talk about it.”

Holding a chubby hand in the air, Lou Pearlman circled it with his fingers. “Nick, come here, I need to have a word with you.”

“Can’t this wait?” Johnny interrupted. “He’s clearly upset about something.”

“I have a business to run and I don’t need your two cents worth in this!” the manger snapped. “Nick..... here..... now!”

Keeping his vision set to the floor, Nick slowly slid his body from the seat, walking toward the booth.

“We seem to be having an attitude problem with you lately! Are you having some troubles that is affecting your attitude?”

“No sir,” Nick mumbled, keeping his gaze to the floor.

“You seem to think that this group runs on your schedule. Do you think it’s fair for the rest of us to wait until Nick Carter decides it’s time to get up or it’s time to eat?”

Nick winced hearing his name being called out sarcastically. He kept his eyes trained to the floor, tears pooling in his eyes. “No sir.”

“Speaking of eating, I see that you ate like a pig yesterday in your room. We’ve had a talk about your weight and how fat you’re getting---”

”That’s enough!” Johnny yelled.

“This is my charge,” Lou hissed glaring at his assistant manager. He quickly turned his steel eyed gaze back towards the young singer. “Nick I’ve told you time and time again that you’re getting too big. No one likes a fat teen idol.”

“I’m sorry,” came the mumbled reply.

This time it was Kevin that jumped to Nick’s defense. “There’s nothing wrong with Nick’s weight! If there’s any weight anyone should be concerned about it’s yours you fatass bastard!”

Lou Pearlman bore his eyes into Kevin’s. ”You’ve just lost phone priviledges, mister.” His comment was more of a growled statement rather than a command.

“Nick is only a teenager, his body is still changing and you don’t seem to take that into consideration!” Brian chipped in, desperate to get some sense into the obese manager. “And I’m sorry to say it too, but I agree with Kevin, you need to be concerned about your own weight.”

Pearlman started laughing and shaking his head. “You just lost your phone priviledges too....anyone else?”

”STOP IT! STOP FIGHTING ABOUT ME!” Nick yelled looking at his bandmates with teary eyes. “I’m nothing but a fat fuck up and I don’t need anyone’s help, okay? It’s my problem not yours! God I wish I was dead...”

His voice trailed off and he quickly left the living quarters and ran back to the safety of the bunks in the rear of the bus, covering his ears, desperate to block out the sounds of Kevin calling him back.

~*~*~*~*~

Ignoring Kevin’s calls, Nick threw himself into a bunk and drew the heavy curtains shut, blocking out any possiblity of light getting in.

“I’m nothing but a fat fuckup,” he mumbled to himself. “Everyone hates me.”

His stomach growled as if in reply to his comments.

“God my body doesn’t even respond to the diet pills.” Turning onto his side, he tried to ignore the gnawing feelings in the pit of his stomach. He was unsuccessful in his attempts and Nick wished he had taken his backpack with him when he ran to the bunks.

The tears that had pooled in his eyes finally spilled over. “I’m never gonna be anything but a fatass. Why do I even bother?”

~*~*~*~*~

“Two more weeks of this shit and I can sleep in my own bed,” AJ reminded himself as he looked out the bus window toward the hotel building they would be calling home for the next three days.

Johnny clamped a hand on the skinny man’s shoulder. “It’s all a part of what you signed your name on the dotted line for. It’s really not that bad, is it?”

AJ grunted a reply as he gathered his magazines and cd collection. He bumped into Brian as he tried to grab his duffle bag. “Watch where you’re walking freak!”

“Huummpf,” Brian sniffed as he tried to step around his bandmate.

AJ retorted by sticking his elbow into Brian’s side.

”HEY! That’s uncalled for!”

“You were in my way, excuse me all to hell.”

“McLean, you need to get more sleep,” Johnny annouced, shaking his head with a smirk on his face. “Littrell, go back and grab Carter, he obviously has fallen asleep again.”

Rubbing his side, Brian nodded. He wasn’t too far from where Nick laid when he heard the all-too-familiar sound of the young man snoring. Obviously fast asleep. Pushing the curtains aside, he pressed on the boy’s shoulder. “Nick... Nick, we’re at the hotel, time to get up.”

Nick squinted as he looked up toward the voice. He moaned and then rolled his back to him.

Brian, being the presistent person that he was, pushed Nick harder on the shoulder. “C’mon bro, you need to get up and go to bed.”

Pulling the comforter over his head, he managed to mumble, “Leave me alone.”

Brian tugged the thick blanket from Nick’s face. “You’re gonna suffocate--”

“I don’t care.”

“Come on bud, let’s get out of this smelly bus and into our rooms.”

“Go without me.”

Exasperated with the stubborn teen, Brian sighed loudly. “What the heck crawled up your butt?” He stood waiting for a response for a few moments and when he didn’t get any response, he shoved Nick hard on the back. “C’mon, I’m tired too.”

When Nick’s response was drawing the blanket back over his head, Brian screamed with his mouth closed. “You little creep!”

Bracing himself for another attack from Brian and his attempts at getting the blanket off him, Nick was surprised to hear footsteps going away from him.

Brian had left him!

“That’s okay, no one wants me around anyway. I’m a fuck up,” Nick mumbled as he shifted his body into a more comfortable position. He decided he would stay in his bunk for a few more minutes to make his own ‘personal statement’ about being left alone.

~*~*~*~*~

Nick shivered despite the thick blanket that was covering his body. The bus seemed dark and quiet.

Very quiet.

Stretching in his bunk, he decided he better gather his gear and head into the hotel. Sitting up, he was still trying to figure out why there wasn’t any noises coming from the bus. The constant humming of the engines were missing.

“Ray?” he croaked as he pushed the curtain aside. Panic started to set into his mind when he discovered that the running lights that were usually glowing on the bus were off. He scooched his body off the mattress and hopped onto the floor. “What the fuck? Hello? Ray?”

He walked away from the sleeping quarters toward the front of the bus. Surely the driver had to be up there, Nick thought to himself.

He was scared to peek under one of the shades that had been drawn shut on the bus windows unsure of what he would find. His heart seemed to be racing in his chest as he faught off the panic that was rising in his body.

“This is what you wanted, wasn’t it Nick?” he said aloud to himself. Sighing, he leaned on one knee across a seat and lifted up the corner of a shade. Instead of being met with a honey yellow glow of hotel lights or street lights, Nick was met with a blue-ish white glow of a mercury light and the backdrop of a small forest like grove of trees and a bunch of tourist buses and motor homes.

“Fuck.”

Not only had he been left alone, Nick realized, he had been driven to a parking lot for the bus to be stored while they stayed in the city for their three day venue. Scrambling out of his seat, Nick rushed over to the opposite side of the bus and again peeked out the window from under a shade.

“Awe shit!”

The hotel was no where to be seen. Reality had struck him in the face. He was not only alone, he was stranded God-knows-where in God-knows-what country. To top it all off, all of his belongings weren’t laying where he had left them.

“Oh this is just peachy, for the first time in my life someone decided to take my things into the hotel,” Nick moaned.

Stomping back toward the sleeping quarters, Nick debated on whether he should stay where he was at or leave the bus and find the hotel. Shivering as he thought his situation over, Nick rubbed his hands over his arms that he had folded across his chest.

“Shit, I can’t stay here, I’ll be a Nicksicle when they come find me tomorrow.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Hey Brian, have you seen Nick?”

Not bothering to look up to aknowledge Kevin, Brian kept on with his preoccupation of unpacking his suitcase. “Nope.”

“Has Howie mentioned seeing Nick?”

Brian hesitated for a moment, still not looking up. “Howie was out clubbing with Jay last night, I didn’t talk to him when he got back in.” Grabbing an armful of clothes, he stepped around Kevin. “Did you even think about asking Jay since he’s bunking with the kid?”

Kevin lightly slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand. “Gosh, I didn’t think about that, thanks cuz, what would I do without you? Of course I asked Bone but he was worthless in getting any information through a closed door!”

Leaning against the dresser, Brian stared at his cousin. “Why is it so urgent now that you need to know if anyone’s seen Nick this morning? Why not six hours ago when we first got here?”

“Six hours ago you said he was already in the hotel!”

“I did not!”

“You most certainly did!”

“When the heck did I say that?”

“When I met you at the elevators on the floor. I asked you if Nick was already in his room and you said yeah.”

Brian tried to remember the short conversation from last night. He remembered that they were all pretty tired and anxious to get to their assigned rooms and because of the arguing he and Nick had on the bus earlier, he traded rooms with AJ and opted to spend this venue with Howie. Going over the conversation in his head, he could only remember that he thought Kevin asked if everything was off the bus. He never asked him if Nick was off the bus.

“No, you asked me if things were off the bus!”

The two men stared at each other for a few moments when a sickening reality swept through their brains.

Kevin was the first to break the thick silence with a snort. “There’s no way that kid would be that stupid.”

“Yeah Nick can’t possibly be that dumb,” Brian added. “He’s probably wrapped up in his blankets in his room sleeping.”

~*~*~*~*~

The cool wind wasn’t what bothered Nick the most, it was the fact that his sock clad feet were starting to loose all feeling as he walked aimlessly in the slush toward the amber glow of what he hoped was civilization.

He caught a glimpse of himself as he walked past a store window. He quietly laughed despite himself realizing he probably looked more like a transient than an entertainer. Pulling the blankets tighter, he trudged on, the skyline was in his vision.

“What the hell...” AJ moaned softly when he was woken up by loud banging on the door to his room. Rolling onto his stomach, he grabbed a pillow and pulled it over his head, hoping to block out the noise.

He groaned when it not only persisted but grew louder. Lifting the pillow off to one side, he squinted his eyes trying to see the clock on his nightstand. “Seven ten? Oh for the love of God....”

Sighing, he dragged his body from the warm bed, wrapping a sheet halp-hazardly around his waist. “How many times do we have to tell you to take your goddam room card......Kev?”

Kevin Richardson pushed AJ aside as he entered the room. “Nick up yet?”

“Christ Kevin, it’s seven in the goddamn morning,” AJ mumbled, rubbing his bloodshot eyes. “Was he suppose to bunk with me, cause he didn’t check in with me last night.”

Cursing, Kevin removed his cell phone from his belt, punching several numbers. "Thomas, I need you to get detail to AJ's room ASAP, we have a situation."

56 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 56

After carefully explaining the situation to the head of their security as well as stressing the fact that none of this was to be repeated to Lou Pearlman or Johnny Wright or the police, Kevin grabbed his jacket.

“Okay, let’s go look--”

Kevin was stopped when a hand was placed firmly on one of his shoulders. “Mr. Richardson, you need to sit tight. We can take care of this.”

Shaking his head, Kevin disagreed. “You don’t understand. I have to go with you guys. Nick is my responsibility. I need to find him.”

“He is also our responsibility and that’s what we’ve been hired to do,” the bulky black westler-turned bodyguard replied in a firm voice. “You need to stay here and just sit and wait.” Sizing up the young man, grinning he added, “We don’t need you to cause any commotion and you said it has to be low profile.”

Sinking down into a chair, Kevin nodded in defeat. “Yeah, we can’t let Lou find out about this one. He’ll have a field day with Nicky.”

“I’ve got your number, we’ll keep in contact.”

The four men were silent as the bodyguards filed out of the room. AJ was the first to break in. “Why the fuck does that stupid ass kid do this to us?”

Kevin raked a hand through his thick hair. “I wish I knew.”

“He was upset,” Brian offered.

“I think Mr. Pearlman finally pushed Nick too far this time. I don’t think I’ve never seen him this upset,” Howie added softly.

Groaning, Kevin stood up and trudged toward the window. “I think I can safely say that I’ll be prepared for fatherhood when the time comes.”

_______________

Clutching the blanket tighter, Nick shivered. ‘How do I get myself into these jams?’ he thought miserably.

With each step he took, he was starting to feel more and more drained. He wanted to find a place out of the way to lay down and take a nap. Shivering, he dismissed the idea.

“No Carter, you have to keep your fatass moving,” he mumbled to himself.

Walking further, his thoughts preoccupied with keeping warm, he started to think of things that made him feel warm; blankets, clothes, the sunny beach in the back yard of his home, his Mom’s chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven...

Nick’s stomach growled as the thought of cookies entered his head. He could actually taste the cookies and smell them.

“I miss Mom.” Tears started to well up in his eyes as he thought about the comforts of home and his mother. His mother always knew how to make him feel safe and secure and he wished she was standing beside him right now and make this bad situation go away. Sadly, he remembered that his mother was now too busy with Aaron’s career to be bothered with him.

“She doesn’t have time for a fatass failure,” Nick muttered, leaning against an abandoned building. His stomach growled again and he punched it hard.

”SHUT UP!”

Shaking his head he trudged on only after looking at his reflection in the dirty store window. “I’m such a fatass can’t even diet right either. I fucked that one up too.”

All Nick could see was fat. He didn’t realize that he wasn’t the person in the newspaper Pearlman had shown him a week or two ago. He had been losing some of the weight and although he wasn’t slim, he wasn’t fat either. He was just borderline “chunky”.

If anyone had been in hearing distance, they would have thought that Nick was certifiable with his nonstop rambling to himself. His thoughts went from his family, to himself and what a disappointment he must be to everyone and lastly to his girlfriend.

“Manda hates me too,” he mumbled, wiping the tears from his eyes. “Why did she ever stick around with me? I need her though. I have to buy her something to make this better. I can’t be alone. I need her,” he rambled.

As if God was listening to the young man’s complaints, the sky suddenly opened up and sheets of cold, driving rain pelted his face.

Pulling the blanket over his head for protection, leaving a small hole for him to see from, Nick sighed.

“Anyone else want to kick me? God is already against me!”

__________

“Where the hell is that kid?”

“Kev... why don’t you just sit and chill? You’re driving me crazy with all the pacing dude.”

“AJ’s right, c’mon they’ll find Nick.... they always do. That’s why they hired them,” Brian reassured as he patted the seat on the couch.

Howie managed a slight, tight grin. “I’m sure there will be be some wild excuse when Nick comes back.”

Much to the trio’s pleas, Kevin shook off their suggestions and kept his endless pacing; pulling back the drapes and peering out the long window and checking to make sure his cell phone was turned on.

“God, you’re worse than my Gramma is,” AJ chuckled, shaking his head.

Sighing loudly, the tall man tugged a hand through his thick hair. The knob on the door to the adjoining room turned loudly, grabbing the attention of the worried men. As Kevin started toward the door, it flung open, producing two bodyguards with standing between them.

“Is he okay?” Kevin asked as he rushed over to his baby brother, sizing him from head to toe as if he were inspecting him for signs of injuries.

The younger of the two bodyguards smirked. “Yeah, he’s fine, nothing a hot bath probably can’t cure.”

Kevin glared at the man. “This isn’t funny.”

The bodyguard quickly wiped the expression from his face, still meeting Kevin’s glare, taking the challege.

“God Nick, you’re soaking wet and where’s your shoes?”

“We found him laying down in a doorway of an old building,” the other bodyguard offered.

“I-I-Im-m-m-m-m f-f-f-fi...”

“Nick needs to get out of those wet things or he’s going to get more sick than he probably already is,” Howie stated with sudden authority.

Brian jumped up. “I’ll go get the shower started.” He stopped as he stole a glance at his young brother. “My God Nicky, your lips are actually blue!”

As if to protect Nick from more embarrassment, Kevin gestured to the body guards that it was time for them to go, only after he offered a quick thanks for their services. “Remember, nothing goes beyond this room, to anyone. Am I clear on this?”

“Absolutely, sir.”

Kevin wrapped a protective arm around the shivering teen. “You need to get into a hot shower and get out of these things. After you warm up, we can talk.”

Nick only could follow Kevin’s lead toward the bathroom.

“I got the water set to the right temp... not too hot and not too cold,” Brian announced as he stepped aside to let Nick pass.

“Take your time, you need to thaw out, just make sure to holler if you need anything,” Kevin added and then closed the door softly.

With shaking hands, Nick tugged off the wet blanket. He stood for a moment staring at his reflection in the large steamy mirror. Fumbling with the button on his jeans, he stopped and decided to take his shirt off first, gasping when the his bare skin was met with the damp air of the bathroom. After several attempts, he was finally successful in unfastening the button on his pants, quickly shedding the rain soaked jeans.

Losing his balance only to recover before he fell to the floor, Nick sat down on the toilet seat and tugged his once bright white socks off his numb feet. The skin on his feet was red from being cold and Nick doubted he would ever get warm again or the feeling back as he rubbed them.

With teeth chattering and as boughts of chills wracked his body, Nick managed to step into the shower. The warmth of the water felt good as he enveloped his body in a comforting flow. He tried to get his fingers to wrap around the orange bar of soap that was sitting on the shower ledge, but gave up after a few tries, opting to wait until his body thawed out more.

“What the hell was he doing out there like that?” Kevin fumed, pacing the floor again. “Did you see how he was dressed? No shoes either!”

“Good God Richardson, you act like he could have been attacked or something,” AJ grumbled.

Kevin stopped his pacing and spun around to face AJ. “That’s not too far fetched.”

“Well it didn’t happen now, did it?” AJ mocked.

“How the hell do you know?” Kevin hissed, gesturing toward the closed bathroom door. “He couldn’t even talk because his teeth were chattering.”

“From the cold dummy, not from fear,” AJ corrected.

“Would you two just stop this and take neutral corners?” Howie snapped.

“Wait until Nick comes out of the shower, I’m sure he’ll be able to tell us what happened,” Brian suggested.

Sitting on the edge of bed, Kevin folded his arms defensively across his chest. “He better be able to.”

57 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 57

He felt like a sheep, ready to be ripped apart by hungry wolves. Piece by piece until there was nothing left. Just as helpless and useless. Just like a victim.

Shivering violently, despite the warm water that rinsed over him, Nick dreaded to leave the bathroom. It was his shelter, away from the yelling that he knew awaited him the moment that he set his foot outside the room. They, the guys, would yell to him that he was useless and that he couldnīt do anything right. They would say that he had pulled a dangerous stunt and that he should be happy that he didnīt get hurt in the process.

They would be angry at him. He knew it. It was his gut feeling. They would be mad at him just like Lou had been and Manda, yes even his mother. They all hated him. Thought he was nothing but a looser. One BIG looser.

He had been so scared when he had walked the streets in Warsawa, certain that he would never see his friends again. Never in his dreams had he thought that they would leave him all alone in an empty bus. That they had forgotten him like he was some kind of object. This, if anything, hurt more than he could ever imagine. The feeling of being unwanted. Unloved.

His thoughts were rudely interrupted by a sharp knock on the door. "Nick are you ok in there?" It was Brian that came to see how he was doing.

'So now you care?' he thought angrily. 'Where were you when I got dumped in the bus?' At first he ignored in answering but this resulted in Brian knocking even harder. Persistant. "Niiickkk, come onnn!"

"Leave me alooone!" he snapped back, hoping that Brian would have the sense to leave. Or was this what he really wanted? To be left alone? He wasnīt so sure anymore.

To his relief Brian was just as stubborn as he was and didnīt listen at all. "You done soon?" he yelled.

Nick wanted to scream NOOOO, but instead he could hear himself saying "Yeah in a bit. Just go!" His voice sounded weak and pitiful and he was close to banging his head against the tiled wall. When had he became this patethic?

After a brief silence Nick did his best to strain his ears to hear what was going on outside. He could make out Brian talking to someone in the background. Waiting with his breath down his throat he waited to see if Brian would take his words seriously and leave. Just when he thought that Brian had done it, left him, he heard his voice again.

"Are you hungry?"

If he was hungry? Were they joking with him or what? After spending the night with only one candy bar for breakfast he was starving. Starving down to his bones. To make a note of this, his stomach decided to growl loudly and in that moment he would have given anything to get something in his mouth. The tastebuds watered when his thoughts drifted off towards setting his teeth into a piece of steak or chicken. Anything would be good enough. Even that nasty health crap that Howie used to eat, sea weed. He didnīt care if it looked, smell and probably tasted like a a spitup furrball. This was how desperate he was. Yet he couldnīt get himself to eat anything.

A little devil was sitting on his shoulder, yelling into his ear that he was way too fat and if he ate anything more he would start to look gross. Swelled up like a balloon ready to pop. The devil was yelling to him that he didnīt need to eat anything since he was taking diet pills and it was all that he needed. He could live on them. It was either that or taking the laxative soloution, it was just up to him to decide.

Nick felt ripped apart. His stomach was telling him that he was hungry and wanted to be fed, while his mind said that he didnt need to eat anything. It was making him crazy.

"Sooo what is it going to be? Food or not?" This time it was Kevin who took charge, interrupting his painful thoughts. Nick wanted to yell. To tell how bad he hurt. Either that or cry. Which ever came first.

"I donīt want anything."

The devil had won again. His stomach made a loud growl in protest, folding over in the bathtub he mumbled, "Ohhhh shut up,will ya." Shaking his head he was close to crying. 'Great,' he thought desperately, 'look at me now I am talking to my stomach too. Iīm getting crazy!' Looking down at his body he suddenly became violently ill and had to swallow hard from not heaving into the tub. All he saw was fat, greasy fat that jiggled when he moved. It made his stomach turn. He had to look away as he mentally noted that he had done the right thing in not to eat anything.

There was another knock on the door. This time louder and more persistant. God, couldnīt they leave him alone. Alone to dwell in his own misery.

"Nick?" Kevin again. Are you sure that you donīt want anything? We are going downstairs to eat."

"Nooo I said I wasnīt hungry didnīt I?" He was yelling so loud that his head and ears hurt. It was like he was trying his best to outvoice the growling in his stomach. Shivering, he awaited a response and true to his words it came.

"You sure? Are you alright?"

Upon hearing the concern Kevin uttered he felt bad for yelling at them. But then after all it was their fault that he was put in a mess like this, wasnīt it? If they hadnīt left him he wouldnīt have got lost and then he wouldnīt have to feel this bad either. Stubbornly he ignored his friends attempts to see how he was doing. Holding his hands to his ears he did his best to block out all noises. But he only succeded to bring more tears to his eyes.

Disgusted with himself Nick mentally slapped himself. 'Look at you whimp. Youīre crying just like a baby. Lou is right you canīt hatch it in this business.' It was making him ill.

"Come on, you're gonna freeze to death." 'Like you would care,'Nick thought darkly when he heard Howie's voice on the other side of the door. They were all concerned for him but he didnīt give a shit. He wasnīt the one that had left them, they left him!

"Weīre going away for a moment to eat. You sure that you donīt want anything?"

"NOOOO!!!"

The knocking and his friends calling out for him continued for a while until it became silent. It was then Nick saw his chance to leave his shelter. Grabbing a white towel he got out of the bath, wrapping himself up just like a mummy. Chills wracked his body since all attempts to get some warmth into his shivering body had failed. His teeth chattered something fierceful and looking into the mirror a ghostly pale, face stared back at him making him look like a zombie. "I..I..lo..lool li..like shi..shit!" he shivered. Stucking out the tongue to his reflection, he grabbed a pair of boxers intended to go out to meet his own destiny. The guys!

The moment he opened the door he expected to be attacked, but to his surprise he found the room to be empty and dark. A sigh of disappointment washed over him and he felt once more close to tears. They had left him again!

Didnīt he mean more to them than this?

It was cold in the room and even if it was midday Nick felt all exhausted. Barefoot he paddled over to the bed and sank down, deafeated. Shivering he wrapped the bedspread around him, intending to get some warmth before he would die from hypothermia. Sulking he thought over his situation. He knew they had a show that night so he better shape up his act.

Slowly some heat started to work itīs way into his body and he felt pretty good and safe. If only one of the guys had bothered to be with him. Sighing deeply he thought back at the previous night. Shuddering. It had to be one of his worst nights in his life. Never had he felt more alone and left out. So vanurable.

His eyelids were getting heavier for each minute and soon he found himself being unable to hold his eyes open. Laying down on the bed he thought that he would just get a quick shut eye and then he would feel better. As a shiver ran down his spine he wrapped himself tighter into the bed linens. His limbs ached and even tough he was too tired to move, his stomach made it impossible for him to fall asleep. He was way too hungry.

Holding his arms around his stomach he did his best to try to squell the hungerspells. This didnīt work and with a groan Nick sat up in bed. He needed to stiffen that hunger with water and some dietpills. With that in mind he paddled up in search for his jeans since he knew he had stuffed the bottle in his front pocket. When he couldnt detect the clothing he became desperate. What if anyone of the guys had found his bottle? His little secret?

Heat washed over him, not from temperature but more from fright and he started to frantically search for his pants. "God where did Kevin put them?" he yelled as he tore the room upside an down in search for the bottle. Close to tears he realized that it was futile and sank down on the bed like a sack of potatoes. Sobbing.

Life had fucked with him again.

************************************

Nick dreamed.

He was with the guys and they were having a concert. He was joking around with his friends and they laughed together. The fans screamed for him and he felt both special and loved. Suddenly the scene changed and he was all alone. He was in a dark alley and he called out for the guys, but no one heard him. Fright ran over him and when he was fighting to wake up he found himself sitting in a large dining room. Alone.

The large table was stacked with food and deserts and when he looked down on the plate in front of him he found that it was filled to the brim with all kinds of delicious treats. Just when he was about to stick his fork into the meat dripping with fat, a dark voice boomed behind him. Turning his head he was met with his manager's cold eyes.

"Sooo the fat teeny bopper is stuffing himself full." There was venom dripping in the manager's tone.

Not answering Nick said, "Where are the guys? Where is everyone?"

"They left." The answer was short.

"Left? No they canīt have!" Desperation was creeping up on him. Not wanting to be alone.

"Do you really think that they like a fat slob like you? A whiny fatso with a pot belly?" Lou started to laugh. "Look at yourself, you are so ugly that no one even wants to sit at your table. You canīt do anything right."

"Nooo that cant be true. They wouldnīt leave me. Never!"

"Oh grow up." Lou suddenly stopped laughing. "Do you honestly think that ANYONE cares for someone that looks like THAT!" he stuck his finger into the teen's belly so the fat jiggled just like a pudding.

"Manda and the fans like me."

"Manda doesn't give a shit about you," another voice was heard from the background. Looking over at his side he saw the guys stadning there, pointing fingers and laughing at him. " All Manda wants is your money." AJ grinned his eyes glowing with evil.

"That isnīt true!" Nick yelled, holding his hands infront of his ears not wanting to hear anything more. Tears rolled down his cheeks when he saw how his so called friends acted.

"Not even the fans like you. They want slim and well trimmed young guys and you are neither." This time it was Howie's turn to be nasty to him.

Nick felt panic dwelled up inside him. He couldnīt stand it anymore. "Stop it," he yelled. "Stop it!"

The face of Kevin's came into a view. "Besides do you think that anyone would care for someone that is as selfish and rotten as you are Nick?" He laughed loudly and then added, "Look at your self you are so fat that you canīt wear anything. Look at his belly"

Startled over the comment Nick looked down at his stomach and made a loud gasp. 'Oh noo this can't be happening,' he thought desperatly as he tried to cover his swelling belly with the table cloth. He was becoming bigger each minute, swollen like a big balloon. Fixing to explode. The guys laughed at him. Nick wanted to cry. This wasnīt funny at all.

"Whatīs the matter with me?" he cried. "What is happening? Why donīt you like me?" This was the culprit and he started to cry freely.

Brian stepped forward. "You are fat and ugly, youīre a wuss. How do you expect people to like you when you donīt even like yourself?" How could Brian, his best friend ever, say something like that to him? words hurt more than a knife wound in Nick's back, leaving him with a feeling of being backstabbed.

"Why are you saying this to me? What did I ever do to you? I thought you were my friends." Nick knew that he was whiny but he couldnīt help it. Tears as well as emotions dwelled up.

"Beacuse you are using this kind of shit!" Brian spat, holding up the small bottle of diet pills. "This," he continued through closed teeth, "this is something that only loosers do and we donīt like loosers, do we?" He turned to the rest of the guys with a grin and they grinned back.

"No we donīt. We donīt like loosers and you Carter are one!" Like if that wasnīt enough the air was suddenly filled with voices coming from all directions. They all yelled loudly; "LOOOOSEEERRR!!!"

Nick was fighting desperatly to wake up but the loud voices were screaming in his ears. He was trapped in the nightmare. "Noooo, Noooo," he yelled trashing with his head back and forth. "Iīm not a looser, Nooo." His arms flared widely and he was soaking wet from sweat. It was in this position the guys found their little brother moments later...

58 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 58

Nick jerked awake, staring up at four pairs of eyes staring down at him; concern etched on their faces.

“Kaos, are you okay? Dude, that had to be some weird dream you were having,” AJ stated as he shook his head.

“We heard you yelling down the hall when we got off the elevator,” Howie added.

“You were freakin’ me out, that’s for sure,” AJ grinned.

Nick tugged a hand through his sweaty hair placing the other one across his stomach when it started it’s ‘hunger cries’ again, only to jerk it back suddenly, sitting up quickly in bed.

“Why do you have your pillow over your stomach, don’t you feel good?” Kevin questioned.

Nick could feel the heat rise to his face, quickly tossing the pillow aside. “No, just couldn’t get comfortable.”

Brian picked up instantly on Nick’s discomfort. “Don’t be embarrassed about yelling, God knows we all do that from time to time when we have nightmares. What was the dream about, do you remember?”

Thinking about the diet pills and then the part about his stomach growing bigger and the guys teasing him, Nick hung his head. “Nah, I don’t remember any of it.”

Laying back down, he drew the covers up to his neck hoping that the guys would get the hint that he was still tired and wanted to rest. Much to his dismay, he groaned inwardly when AJ literally threw his body into a chair in the corner of the room, turning the television on.

“Polish TV sucks,” AJ mumbled as he flipped through the channels.

“Since when did you become an expert on TV?” Howie asked as he sat on the edge of the unoccupied bed.

Sighing loudly, Nick curled up into a ball on his side, pulling the comforter tight over the side of his head, shutting his eyes tight. It was always his ‘security’ from the hidden creatures that roamed the darkness. He always felt that if his ear wasn’t covered, they would find him and then he would be taken captive and dragged out of his bed.

Kevin broke into his quest for hiding. “Nick, we still need to have that talk.”

Keeping his eyes closed, Nick mumbled his reply, “Can we talk tomorrow, I’m really sleepy.”

A frim slap on his thigh served as an answer. “No, we need to talk now. I’m sure that somehow Lou is gonna find out about your little no show act.”

“Please Kev... I don’t feel so good right now and we have to work tonight,” Nick pleaded.

“My mother always said not to go to bed with unfinished business---”

“You’re not her though... c’mon have a heart Kevin,” Nick begged.

As much as he tried to ignore his older brother, Nick could feel the stare of Kevin’s piercing eyes through his closed lids and finally gave up with a groan. “Okay, what do you want to talk about?”

“Don’t you dare try and come off as mister innocent with me Nickolas, you know exactly what I want to talk about!”

Nick could feel the hair bristle on the back of his neck when he heard Kevin call him by his proper name. He sat up in his bed, giving the dark haired man his full attention. “Okay, where do you want me to start?”

“How about from the beginning, dummy,” AJ rasped.

“I thought you were watchin’ Polish TV--”

Kevin rubbed his hand over his face. “I want all of you out of here right now! I don’t need any help from the peanut gallery.”

No one moved after Kevin asked them to leave, making the older man’s patience wear thin. His head jerked up as his gaze shot around the room.

”NOW!”

The booming of Kevin’s voice sprang the group into action and each of them, Nick excluded, bolted for the door, trying to put a safe distance between themselves and Kevin’s wrath. It wasn’t until the door closed behind them that he turned his attention to his younger brother. Sitting on the edge of the bed across from Nick, Kevin rested his elbows ontop of his knees, leaning forward. “So Nick, tell me what happened last night.”

“Didn’t you always say, ‘Don’t cry over spilt milk?’ “ Nick asked hopefully.

Kevin sighed. “Yeah, but this is something completely different.”

“How about I don’t remember what happened last night?”

“How about you tell me before I go to Mr. Pearlman?”

Nick’s eyes opened wide at the thought of the fat manager getting wind of last night’s adventure. It would be something more that could be used against him and Nick couldn’t afford to get into more trouble. “Brian tried to get me to come with him off the bus but I was being moody and feeling sorry for myself I guess.” He glanced over at the Kentuckian to see what he reaction was to the explaination. “I swear! I’m telling you the truth!”

“Did I say you weren’t?”

Nick tugged a hand through his hair. “No, but you just looked like you didn’t believe me.”

“If you don’t stop being so damned paranoid, I won’t believe you. C’mon, out with the rest of it.”

Laying back into his bed, Nick closed his eyes as he recited the events from discovering that he was left on the bus and his walking the streets in socks and no coat, not daring to look at Kevin, afriad he would lose his train of thought in telling the story. He finished his explaination stating that he was getting a migraine.

Upon hearing Nick’s complaint, Kevin sighed. “Jesus Nick, you’re always whining about feeling sick!”

Drawing the blankets up toward his neck, Nick whimpered. “I can’t help it. I really am feeling like shit.”

“Don’t expect me helping you getting a red card for the show tonight. You’re going on headache or not.”

“Migraine,” Nick corrected.

“Honestly.... I fucking give up! You do this all the time for attention Nick and it’s getting a little old.”

“I can’t help it,” he mumbled in reply.

_____________________

Nick sat in the corner of the green room, sulking as he kept the dark towel over his head. The migraine he had predicted he was getting had shown up in full force and the slightest light was making his stomach churn with nausea.

“Kaos, you gonna eat this?”

“Leave me alone,” Nick mumbled. The smell of the food that AJ had waved by the towel’s opening almost made him turn his stomach inside out. He had asked Johnny Wright earlier if he could get out of doing the show tonight but the manager only shook his head and laughed.

Nick decided his life sucked.

“Ready in fifteen to take the stage,” the sound tech called out. “We need to hook up the equipment.”

Nick shuddered at the thought of the wired instrument that would be hooked up to his waist and the tiny device that would hook onto his head; feeding sound into his ear. The thoughts made his migraine go into overdrive. He bolted up, tossing the towel aside as he made a mad run toward the bathroom. “I’m..... gonna..... get.....”

His four bandmates winced when the sounds of Nick’s wretching pierced the air.

“Now there’s something we don’t hear that often,” AJ remarked dryly.

The sound tech shook her head in dismay as she finished hooking AJ’s sound equipment up. AJ picked up on her facial expression. “I’m jokin’.. you know Carter.”

“I’m not here to judge, just to wire you guys up.”

Nick sat back on his knees after the wretching subsided. Unchecked tears were streaming down his cheeks, his head pounded and his gut hurt. There was nothing to throw up and he couldn’t remember the last time he ate. He didn’t care about eating anyway, he felt so awful he just wanted to crawl back into his dark hotel room and sleep.

“Nick, are you alright?”

Wiping his face with the back of a hand, Nick softly cleared his throat. “I’m fine Bri, I’ll be out in a sec.”

Standing up slowly, Nick made his way over to the sink. Staring at his reflection, all Nick could see were the imperfections in himself. His skin was blotchy partly from the strain of throwing up and the other half was from being exposed to the cold air the night before as he wandered the streets of Poland. His red rimmed eyes, blood shot eyes were a testament to the headache that hid behind them.

Nick was able to sum up his appearance in four words: “You look like shit.”

“Carter! You need to get your ass out here for sound. You’re on in three minutes!”

Johnny’s barking snapped Nick temporarily out of his self loathing. As he turned to leave, a wave of dizziness swept over him and he quickly reached out to the wall for support. “I’m coming!”

“I swear you’re going to give me one huge ulcer kid,” Johnny snapped as he watched Nick getting hooked up for the sound equipment.

“I’m sorry,” Nick quietly apologized.

“Get your butt out there now, the rest of them are waiting,” the manager directed.

Sighing, Nick obeyed the man’s command as fast as he dared. Silently he wondered if he would be prepared to pull this concert off as sick as he felt. He had been raised to believe that the show must go on no matter what and Nick was proud of the fact that he worked no matter how horrible he felt and tonight would be no exception.

59 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 59

The loud noise combined with the hot blinding stage lights made Nick's head feel like it would explode at any given second. The migraine that he managed to catch so conveniently, like a bad virus in an email, stuck close to him. Not leaving him for a moment to breathe. To say that he felt like hell would be an understatement.

The screams from the fans in the audience that always made him all worked up and ready to party had him wincing. Desperately he wanted to cover his eyes and ears to block out any destractions. The music that was so loud and the thousand colors dancing in front of him was making him very nervous. His stomach felt uneasy and during the small break he had been forced to hug the toilet bowl yet again. Not succeeding this time either to bring anything up. Seriously, he didn't know when he had eaten something else beside those disgusting diet pills and a couple of candy bars.

The music started up again and Nick did his moves to Hey Mr. DJ like in he was in autopilot. He knew he was very off with his dancing but there wasn't much he could do. His feet felt like cement and every time he moved, just the slightest, he was afraid that his skull would split in half from the searing pain.

Wincing at the feeling, wanting to gag, he did the best as he could to keep up with the rest of the guys. All of them threw him a worried glance every so often and he knew they were all concerned over his well being. Never in his life had he wanted to get off the stage as much as he did tonight. No matter what his aílements were Nick was always trying to do his best, altough it was getting tougher and tougher.

Feeling the bile rose the back of his throat he suddenly knew that he had to get off stage or he would be in for a very embarrassing situation. Swallowing hard he did his best to sing his verse but it ended up sounding forced and weak.

Kevin looked in his direction, making Nick even more nervous than before. The older man had a habit of looking at him whenever Nick would hit the wrong note or if something else was off. This was all in good intentions, he knew that, but having his friend's eyes on his back all the time was making him jittery and often resulted that he messed up even worse than before. Like in an evil circle.

Tonight all of the other guys were looking at him with a worried frown etched on their foreheads. None of them said anything but Nick could imagine the thoúghts that were circulating inside their minds. Thoughts that he was playing sick just to get off the hook and that he was being lazy as always.

A loud churning from the depths of his stomach was making itself known and Nick felt like it wouldn't be so bad if he hit the backstage area anytime soon. Yet he steehled himself, trying to block out the invitable.

"You gonna make it?" Brian wheezed when he danced past him.

Not daring to talk, he nodded, instantly regretting his move since it sent a jolt through his body. His mouth filled up with saliva and he was more and more sure that he would get sick. Migraines always did that to him, making him sick. Often leaving him immobile for a long time.

"You sure?" Kevin mouthed to him from his other side.

Ignoring his friend's questions, he tried to do his best to concentraite on the singing and dancing part. But soon it started to get a bit over the point. The nausea was building up so fast that the feeling soon rose the peak and there was a stinging sensation in his nose. Ringing in his ears accompanied with a sudden attack of dizziness made him aware of what would come next.

He was close to passing out. Passing out infront of 15,000 people!

Suddenly his legs became as weak as overcooked spaghetti and it felt like he had soda in his veins. The ringing was making it impossible to concentraite and as the color swirled infront of him, blinding him, he decided that he had to get off the stage. NOW!!!

Cold sweat broke out on his forehead as he scanned the stage for the exit like a deer caught in the headlights. Mentally he knew where the exit was but for the moment he felt so dizzy that he didn't know what was up and down. Stumbling like a blind man he didn't see where he was going. Just had to get away from the sounds, the screams that were making his head ache. There was not a chance that he would faint on stage, causing a riot and headlines in the media. No way. Sooner would he die!

With that in mind he did his best to get off the stage, not caring what the guys or the fans would think. The words kept chanting in his head, 'Please let me make it..please.' Just when he was so close to fainting he felt someone grab his arm, guiding him to the backstage and there when he was in safe he gave in to what he had fought for such a long time.

Total darkness. Total oblivion.

***********************

The voice of someone calling out for him was what woke him up minutes later. The sound hurt his skull, making the sledgehammer that had moved him banging even harder and for a disoriented moment he was afraid that it had finally happened. That his head had exploded and he had died. Opening his eyes he was met with three Howie's hovering over him making him more sure than ever. He had died and gone to hell! One was bad but three was pure torture.

Blinking several times he tried his best to stabilize his vision and soon the single face of his friend swarmed into view. The piercing headache that still had his whole body in itīs painful grip was making it hard for him to think straight and he became more and more aware that he was still with the land of living.

"Nick..Nicky," Howie called out for him several times, slapping him gently on his cheek, "Nick do you hear me..come on talk to me."

"Stop it..Iīm awake." He didn't mean to sneer at his concerned friend but the constant slapping was making him even more dizzy and for a moment he feared that he would pass out again.

The worried wrinkle on his friend's forehead seemed to cease and uttering a sigh in relief Howie continued, "Nicky you gave me quite a scare. How are you feeling?"

Licking his lips Nick thought for a minute before answering, "Better." That was the truth also since that awful nauseous feeling and dizziness had finally left him. "What happened?" Before the dark haired man had a chance to answer he heard the commotion of several other voices in the background. Even in the midst of his fog he could recognize the voice everywhere. It belonged to his manager Johnny Wright and by the tone he wasnīt to thrilled over the situation at hand.

"Dorough what the hell are you doing here?" he barked, waving with his hand towards the exit, "Why are you not on stage? Performing?" Johnny was really storming against the Latino and Nick felt bad for his friend taking the heat. The black man stopped himself for a moment before adding with annoyance, "And Nick what the hell are YOU doing on the floor?"

Wincing he covered his ears. His head was aching like a bitch and the nausea that he thought was gone was just lurking in the back, waiting to attack itīs victim at any given minute.

"Nick fainted and I helped him off the stage." Howie explained causally.

"Oh," Johnny became quiet for a moment. He hunched down next to Nick, "How are you doing now son?"

"Ok," Nick didnīt want to talk anything more than what was neccessary so he limit his words. Strongly.

"He is not doing well at all. He is sick and you need to get him to a doctor!" Howie was speaking up for all it was worth. Johnny didnīt look too pleased at all of the Latino's outspoken words.

"Howie I know what to do...you however need to get your ass on stage since you have a job to do." The manager waived with his hand, "Go on...NOW!"

Hesitating, Howie didn't stand up at once. "I canīt," he said, "I canīt since I have to be here with Nicky. He needs me." There was a stubborness in the Latino's way of acting which had Nick puzzled. It was so easy to be mistaken on Howie. Everyone's impression of Sweet D' was that he was nice and helpless. But it couldnīt be more wrong. Howie had his own will and when he thought that something was not right he could fight until the bitter end, like in this case. "I canīt just leave him here alone when he is feeling this sick." Drawing back his breath he continued, "You better call a doctor or I'll do it!"

'Way to go Howie,' Nick cheered mentally on all the way until his friend uttered the magical word " Doctor!" There was not one chance that he would go to see a physician since they would soon find out about the diet pills and then he would catch living hell, both from the guys as well as Johnny and Lou and that was not something right. It had to be a secret. A secret that he would guard with his life.

"HOWARD DOROUGH YOU GET YOUR ASS ON STAGE OR I WILL PERSONALLY SUE YOU!" Johhny had raised his voice to an octive that Nick didn't think was possible. He wouldn't be surprised if the booming sensation outvoiced the screams from the stage. Never had he seen or heard the manager taking such tone with Howie. He was puzzled and so was his friend.

"But..but," Howie started, this time lacking the courage to stand up towards the manager. Johnny cut him short again. "NO buts, get your ass out there NOW!"

Nick, knowing from past experiences that whenever the vein on the side of the manager's neck pulsated it was time to take cover, shook his head repeatedly, mouthing a distinct NO! He didn't care if it made him feel even sicker, he had to get D' to understand that the 25 year old better back off since he was long overdue with crossing the boundaries.

But Howie didn't seem to get the signals that Nick was desperately giving him, instead he continued, "NOO I canīt Nick needs me." He sounded like a broken record.

'Fuck!' Nick wanted to yell and he would have if he didn't feel like something the cat had dragged in and he was intent on getting his friend to understand that if he didn't leave in like two seconds all hell would break loose. He could see that in the way Johnny's eyes shifted. They were dark, almost black with anger.

"No D' itīs allright. Iīll be fine. Just go ahead." He waved with his hand towards the direction where he thought the small stairs were, "GO!"

Johnny had momentarily softened his voice, nodding he said, "Yes Howie just get on stage. Iīll take care of Nick."

Howie stood up from his hunched position, "Ok if youīre sure...."

"Yes, yes I am sure," Nick mumbled, forcing out a weak smile, "I feel better already. Just go now. Get out and kick some ass for me too."

Finally the words did the trick and Howie, getting the sign that he needed, smiled back. "Ok Nicky." Just before running up the stairs he added, "Iīm performing for you too."

"Cool!" Nick didn't have the strength to show his friend how greatful he was but the moment Howie was out of the picture he let out a long moan. God, D' could be so slow.

There were no time to think since the booming voice of his manager sounded through the air, waking him up from his own thoughts, "Ok Nick what did you do to get yourself into this mess? The tone wasnīt angry, more held a mixture between annoyance and concern.

"I didnīt DO anything," Nick defended himself, a bit irritated. "Why do you guys always think I have done something when I am in trouble? Couldnīt you stop to think just for a moment that I might be sick? And for your information I have a migraine." Drawing back his breath, not caring if he would pass out from pain any minute he stared back at the manager. So sick and tired of always being jerked around, like some kind of pet. The management had fucked with him long enough and he wanted nothing more than to tell them to get off his case. And he would have if he wasnīt too scared what the repercussions would be. Even if he didn't want to admit it, they had him on their leash.

"Ok, Ok," Johnny held up a hand to stop him. "Whatver your reason is you have to get off the floor. I canīt have you laying around here since by the looks of it you are in no condition to get out on stage again." The manager bent down to help him. "Here grab my hand."

Nick, feeling too weak to object did as the manager said and soon he was hoisted up by the coach. It felt good to finally be able to stretch and when Johnny tossed a blanket over him he couldnīt help to think that the manager was actually pretty cool after all.

"Thanks," Nick mumbled lightly.

Johnny who shrugged back. "No problems. Try to get some sleep now kid so you maybe feel better later on."

Nick was in the process of changing his attitude on Johnny when the manager blew it by saying, "We have a meet and greet afterwards that I don't want you to miss it."

Ooooh so THAT was the case! The reason for the manager's concern over his well being. Nodding he rolled on his side. Johnny was right, he needed to sleep since the previous night it had not been much of that merchandise. And God knew when he would be able to sleep again.

Closing his eyes he thought that it was the first time in several years that he had been allowed to get off the stage when he was not feeling well. This as well as Johnny caring for him, if just slightly, was a step in the right direction. Maybe they liked him after all!

Nick had started to doze off when he was brutally jerked awake by a loud and booming voice piercing through his skull.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE???? WHY THE HELL ISN'T HE ON STAGE???" The voice belonged to none other than Mr. Lou Pearlman.

60 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 60

" Man that was totally awesome. The crowd went totally wild," AJ grinned, drying his hair off with a towel. " Who knew that Polish girls could be so wild?" He shook his head, " Did you see that chick in the front? You know the one that barely had anything on top."

" Yeah she was kind of good looking," Howie agreed, uncapping a bottle, taking a zwig from it. He too thought it had been a success, even if he had to spend a while backstage with Nick. He didnt regret to get back on the stage but he felt bad for the singer who had looked anything but fine to him.

" Goodlooking?" AJ glared at Howie, " D', she was a nice piece of ass. She was a number one!" He laughed roughly, " Maybe I should go out and talk to her. Man Kev did you see those legs? They were running up to her breasts."

Kevin, who was on his way to see how Nick was doing, just shrugged, " Whatever." He didnt sound to impressed. AJ however was.

" Dude you canīt have missed that one. You who is a real "Leg man". He laughed at his own joke, the rest of the guys wasnt as amused at all.

" When are you ever going to grow up?" Brian sighed loudly, " You donīt always have to sound like a teenager when you talk about woman." It was clear that the kentuckian wasnt too impressed over his friends language. Shaking his head he continued, " Man sometimes you sound like a friggin three year old!"

" A three year old?" AJ didnt sound too offended, more amused, " Man B'rok where did YOU grow up?"

" What do you mean?" Brian wasnt following the lead and so was no one else in the room.

" Dude I dont know about you...but looking at legs was not my favorite interest when I was three."

" But it was mine," Nick croaked from the couch where he lay slumped. This resulted in a unision laughter. Nick not realizing the funny in the situation looked up from his nest, " What?" When no one offered an explanation he sank back into the couch, rubbing his temples, trying to get some soothing. The headache was a bit better, that he had to give credit on, but the yelling he got from Mr Pearlman hurt his soul.

Lou had called him a lazy bum and that he was blaming on sickness to get out of the show. He had called him a no good singer and said that if Nick didnt shape up his act he would personally make sure that the kid would not get another job EVER in the entertainment business since he had contacts higher up. If he was left out from ONE more concert he would also make sure that Nicks parents would get a juicy bill and had to pay for the problems Nick created.

Johnny had tried to get Lou to take his mind into reason but it had been no use. Mr Pearlman was very agitated and he said that people high up in the music business had started to question what the hell Nick was doing. According to the manager every time that the teen lacked out from a performance it would cost them in popularity and the worst that could happend was if people would not count on him being at the show and the tickets sold would be left out.

As always Lou Pearlman had ended his lecture with saying that Nick was nothing but a fat looser and that the girls would loose interest in someone that looked like he did.

The words had hurt like knifes into his stomach and Nick had been close to tears. Determinded not to let Lou get the satsifaction of seeing him crying he did his best to bite back the tears that were threatning to choke him. He had seen that Johnny didnt like what Lou was saying and as soon as the top manager had left Johnny had come to his aid, saying that Lou didnt mean anything of those nasty things he said. But Nick knew better. He knew that the manager had meant it all!

It hurt..Oh it hurt so bad.

" Kaos? Dude..Nick?" AJ clapped infront of Nicks face, trying to get his attention. When that didnt work he stuck his face closer to the sick teen, " Heloooo is someone at home?"

This didnt exactly make him feel any better instead he groaned, covering his eyes with one arm across his face. " Donīt do that. It hurts my head. A lot."

Upon seeing the pain in the young mans eyes AJ appologized, " Oh sorry buddy. I didnīt think it was so bad."

" Trust me it is," Nick muttered, swallowing hard since the nausea had made itself known again, like an old enemy waiting for the right occassion to struck.

" You should really see a doctor," Howie said sitting down next to Nick on the couch. " It is not right for you to pass out like that." Howie seemed concern.

" Yeah Man you gave us quite a scare." AJ grinned, altough he was feeling anything but happy. When he had seen Nick leave the scene in a hurry he knew that it was all getting too much for his little brother.

Nick paled. His stomach was doing flip flops again and he didnt dare to move since it would either cause an explosion in his gut or head. Both things sounded equally bad and this left him in an uncomfortable position although there were not much he could do about it.

" How are you doing buddy?" Brian asked and just as Nick was about to say that he was doing fine the older man interrupted him, " And dont come and say me that you are fine beacuse I dont buy it." Frowning he felt on Nicks forehead, " I think you have a fever."

Nick shrugged lightly. What else could he do?

Kevin, feeling a bit bad for being irritated at his bandmate when he said he was sick earlier patted Nick on his cheek, " Iīm sorry buddy that I didnīt listen to you when you said that you were feeling sick."

" S'okey," Nick mumbled, still not taking off his arms from his eyes.

" You want something to drink maybe?"

" No Kev. Itīs ok."

" You sure? Have you tried some tylenol?"

" I said I dont want anything," Nick groaned, rolling to his side.

" But you feel better if you drink something," Howie added, stroking back the hair from Nicks cheek.

" Nooo!!" The teen whined. Truth was that he didnt think that he could handle anything in his stomach right now. It felt full and he was fast loosing the battle. If he wasnt careful he was afraid that he would redecorate the couch in the dressing room and that was not something he found too tempting.

" Yes listen to D'," Brian added.

" I said I dont want anything!"

The three man was about to try to force some liquid and tyleonol into Nicks mouth when AJ said irritated," Damn. How stupid are you? Kaos says that he doesnt want anything and yet you try to force something down his throat." AJ shook his head slowly, " Man are you stupid or not? Canīt you see that the dude is about to hurl?"

Upon saying those words the three men watched how Nicks cheek grow big and he heaved violenty.

" He is puking!" Brian yelled and before Nick knew what hit him his face was pierced over a trashcan. When the heaving finally subsided he felt all drained. Howie and Kevin helped him lay down and AJ was the one to take away the trash can.

" Guys he didnt puke much," AJ commented brutally looking down in the nearly empty trashcan.

" He probably have lost it all before," Kevin said in explanation but AJ was the one that were on the roll.

" Man I donīt know...it looks like he didnt eat much." AJ commented getting a sneer from Brian.

" So youīre the puke expert now." There were a hint of sarcasm in the kentucians voice.

" Nooo I didnīt say that, did I?" AJ snapped. " I just said that it didnt look like he had eaten much."

" Well if you are so concern why dont we ask him?" Brian turned to Nick, " Dude when was the last time you ate?"

Nick groaned, not having the energy to answer as it seemed like. Ok he was tired but there were something more too. He didnt want to answer the question since he was a bad liar and the guys would soon find out that it was ages since he ate! It was better to keep quiet.

" Really smart move B'rok to talk about food," Aj sneered irritated at Brian.

" You were the one that started," Brian defended himself. The tour was getting on everybodys nerves and living so close to each other 24/7 was starting to take itīs toll. Especially on the mood.

" Be quiet so Nicky gets some rest." It was Howie that were comming with the comment and it had them all in for a loop. It was rare that Sweet D' would come with something like that.

" And who are you to decide what we should do and shouldnīt do?" Brian was in a bad mood and whenever he was that it affected the whole group. All but Nick started to argue and soon it was a heated disciussion.

Nick wanted to die. It was bad that he had to spill his guts on an empty stomach and that his skull was throbbing like a bitch he had to listen to his band brothers discussing who was to decide over who. And they were all wrapped up in a forceful argument. Nick wanted them all to shut up, but he was feeling to bad to scream at them. Besides they had to have some sense of their own too.

Nick kept his mouth shut.

************************************************************************************************************

I tell you Kev," Brian said when the argument had settled and they had decided to call it a truce. " We have to get Nick to a doctor. He cant cope with touring all the time." Look at him," Brian pointed with his tumb across his shoulder, " He is all gray in his face and he is constantly catching one virus after the other. We canīt go on like this. You gotta talk to Johnny and Lou, get them to change their minds."

The tall man shrugged, " If it was that simple I wouldnīt hesitate a moment but you know very well that there is not much I can do. Besides when they have their minds set on doing something there is NOT one damned thing thta I can do." Kevin sighed, " Iīm afraid Nick has to tough it out."

What more that was adding to the fear that he felt was the small bottle of white pills he found in Nicks pant pockets. There were not a label on them so he didnt know what it was. ' Probably vitamins.' he thought to himself.

Whatever it was Kevin fely afraid. He had made an futile attempt to ask Nick about those pills when the teen had started to complained about feeling sick. Knowing his little brother from before he had thought that it was another of those stunts that he pulled when he didnt want to talk or tried to get out of an situation. This time however he was surprised that it was no such thing.

Nick was really suffering from migraine and he felt bad for it. There were no need to put more salt into the wounds so for the time being Kevin decided to hang onto the pill bottle and then talk to Nick about it om a later occassion.

" Donīt you see how exhausted Nick is," Brian was worried. " And he is constantly getting sick and being moody. Have you notice this too?"

" Yeah I know, I saw it too." Kevin nodded, his head bobbing up and down. " But you know I cant do a jack about it." He never felt more helpless before.

At 27 he was constantly run by the management and it was starting to get on his nerves. Kevin wanted to be in control of his own life and it was more than one time he had thought that they had to change management. Over at the MTV awards he had the opportunity to talk to some other artists and not ONE with the same popularity as they had, had such a bad slave contract like they had. It sucked.

" Fine then I do it." Brian was getting agitated. He started to walk towards the room where the management sat but was instantly caught by Kevins hold on his arm.

" You do no such thing."

" Why?" Brian could be as stubborn as a kid and when he was set to do something he rarely changed. " What makes you say that?"

" Beacuse it would only make the situation worse." The older man looked calmly the other man in his eyes, " Trust me."

But Brian wasnīt so easily talked into trusting. " Trust you? For what?" He sneered. " For not giving a shit that Nick is laying there feeling like crap beacuse youīre too scared to get Lous and Johnnys ass on you." Brian knew that he was not fair but he was worked up over the situation and deep in his mind he didnt like the way the management treated them.

It didnīt add of either that he had a one to one talk to Lou the other day asking for permission to do the awaiting open heart surgery that his doctor wanted him to do. The manager had flat turned him down saying that there were too much things going on and he couldnīt risk the group right now. They were just getting started over in several countries and he needed Brian to be there with the rest of the guys. This had upset the kentuckian a great deal but there were not much he could do. Mr Pearlman was the one that held the situation in hand and he had to wait until the tour had ended and they had were done recording the new cd. He would get time off earliest in the end of may.

This was however not something that Brian had told the rest of the guys, not even Kevin. He had been on the verge of telling the news the other day but lately there always seemed to be something wrong with Nick so he kept his mouth shut.

There were so many secrets going on lately. Way too many for their own good.

61 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 61

Shrugging Kevin’s hand off his shoulder, Brian bit his bottom lip as he approached the closed office door of Lou Pearlman’s. Every step he took towards the door gave him more strength and determination from the anger that was welling up inside of him.

Anger for having to postphone his surgery.

Anger for having priveledges denied time after time for some stupid reason that Pearlman saw fit to levy for punishment.

Anger for being treated like pets or animals in a circus. Trained to act for Pearlman’s amusement and benefit of making the fat manager more money. He stood in front of the door for a moment as he tried to summon the courage to knock on the door. Kevin started to call him back but Brian ignored his cousin’s pleas and balled his fist up, firmly knocking on the wooden door.

“Come in.”

Walking into the office, Brian found the manager sitting behind a desk, a mixed drink in one hand, long documents in the other. The manager’s only aknowledgement was a glare over the tops of the glasses that had slid down his nose.

“Mr. Pearlman, I need to talk to you about something important.”

“Go ahead.”

Brian waited for the manager to make some type of eye contact with him, but after a few moments he realized that the only way to get his attention would be to start talking. “Um, I’m, uh, we’re concerned about Nick.”

“What did the boy do now?”

Brian narrowed his eyes as he looked at how Pearlman seemed to me more concerned with reading than with what he had to say about Nick. “He didn’t do anything, at least I doubt he did anything. Could you at least look at me while I’m trying to talk to you?”

Pearlman lowered his papers and took a sip of his drink, the ice clanking onto the sides of the glass as he raised it to his lips.

“Could you at least put the papers down?”

The manger’s face flushed with anger as he set his work down. “I run a business and you people are not the only kids I’m responsible. What is so important that you have to interrupt me?”

“Like I was saying, we’re concerned about Nick....”

“About what?”

“You’re pushing us way too hard and you’re not being fair about anything!”

The manager threw an angry glare at the young man standing before him. Brian felt the urge to turn and dart out of the room, but somehow he swallowed his fear and kept his feet firmly planted.

“Nick is sick and you still had him doing the meet and greet. I swear he was going to pass out again during that!”

“He didn’t though, did he?”

“We were lucky that he didn’t.”

The stout manager grunted as he pushed his body away from the desk and grabbed his drink. “I’m a manager, goddamn it. I am the best. You snot nosed brats would be nowhere if it weren’t for my expertise! Obviously you don’t realize what I’ve given you, do you?”

“All I’m telling you is that you’re pushing everyone too hard and it’s taking a toll on Nick. He’s the youngest and he’s really sick and you don’t seem to care at all.”

“Oh, I care..... I care a lot.”

As Brian watched as the old man refilled his glass with whiskey, he shook his head. “What is it gonna take for you to realize that we’re not animals, we’re human beings?”

“You are under contract by me, you will do as I see fit and that’s to make money not to sit on your fat asses, which is one thing that Mr. Carter can do for all of you by the looks of it lately.”

Brian clenched his jaw when he heard Pearlman make another remark about Nick’s size. “That’s another thing too! You’re always on Nick about how much he weighs, you of all people don’t have room to make comments about someone’s weight.”

“You will be getting your time off in a week----”

“You’re only giving us two weeks off,” Brian interrupted.

“You’re lucky you’re getting that!”

“Two weeks is hardly enough time for anyone to recover from the time changes, jet lag, being sick---”

“Learn to adjust to it,” Pearlman growled.

“I can’t believe how unreasonable you are! Everyone has been putting their personal lives on hold and now we’re all paying for it. Forget about me needing open heart surgery, let’s talk about Nick’s health or the fact that our own parents have no idea how you’re treating us----”

“Do you want to be a singer?” Lou barked.

“What?”

“Simple question, do you want to be a singer?”

“Of course I do, you know I do.”

“Do you want to keep on working?”

Brian nodded his reply.

“Then I would suggest that you go back to your little world and let me do what I do in mine or I’ll see to it that you never sing a note in this business ever again, is that understood?”

“Yessir.”

“Good. Close the door quietly when you leave.”

Brian did as requested, running into Johnny Wright when he turned to walk away from the door. Johnny grabbed the young man by the arms, keeping him from falling when they collided.

“Whoa, sorry.... are you okay?”

“My fault, I wasn’t watching where I was walking,” Brian apologized.

The black manager studied Brian’s face. “You look upset, did something bad happen in there?”

Brian sighed. “Does anything good ever happen with him?”

Johnny shook his head. “Seems like lately nothing good goes on.”

Brian shrugged his shoulders.

“Care to tell me what you’re upset over? You don’t have to if it’s none of my business.”

“I was told to mind my own business, but I think I should tell someone that will listen to me, it’s obvious that Mr. Pearlman doesn’t care about anything but himself and I really hate saying that about anyone, but he really is self centered.”

Johnny wanted to smile at Brian’s politeness when he started complaining about Lou Pearlman. He knew the young man was raised with “Southern Manners” and to talk about your elders disrespectfully was one of the worst things a person could do. “Go ahead, I want to know what he’s done to get you this upset.”

“Well,” Brian started out, wringing his hands as he spoke, “I went to Mr. Pearlman because I was concerned about Nick and how sick he’s been this tour. He hasn’t been well at all and it seems to me that Mr. Pearlman isn’t interested in us as people. He was so sick last night and he still had to do the meet and greet.”

“Well, I know Lou only looks at you guys from a business angle.”

Brian shook his head in agreement. “Yes I know he does. He even told me that I have to push back my surgery until after we’re done with this tour for good and he is always on Nick for things and it’s not fair---”

The black manager narrowed his eyes and quickly held his hand up in the air to silence Brian. “What did you just say?”

“He’s always on Nick for things?”

“No, you said something about pushing back surgery. What surgery are you talking about?”

“The one on my heart,” Brian replied quietly.

“Jesus, I thought that was cancelled by your doctors,” Johnny muttered as he pushed his way past Brian, thrusting the door open to Pearlman’s office.

“Littrell... I thought I told you to leave...oh it’s you Johnny.”

“What the fuck are you doing to these kids?”

“I told him to keep his whiney mouth shut, what bullshit did he tell you about now?”

“Just the truth. Why do you think you can keep on manipulating these kids?” Johnny gestured toward the door with his head. “He just told me you postphoned his heart surgery!”

“It can’t be helped---”

“It’s on his goddamned heart for crying out loud, what the fuck are you thinking?”

“To repair a small hole, that’s all,” Pearlman lightly defended.

“You act like this is nothing! This is serious shit. And while we’re on the subject of the kids, what the hell are you doing to Nick? I thought you stopped that diet nonesense with him!”

“The kid is fat.”

“He’s just a kid for chrissake.”

“And he’s fat. If I don’t stop this he’s going to be so big he won’t be able to fit in his stage clothes by the end of this tour.”

“You’re a piece of work Pearlman. Can’t you see you’re hurting them?” Johnny snapped as he lifted the receiver to the phone on the desk. Pearlman reached out and put his hand on the connection, shutting the phone off.

“Who do you think you’re calling? You will put the phone down and you will let me run my business if you know what’s good for you.”

“You can’t keep doing this to them--”

“I can do as I please and I can ruin you if you persist on interferring with my plans for this group.”

“Your threats don’t scare me--”

“I can ruin you and it’s not a threat.”

Johnny laughed definatly at the fat man.

“Remember that little prostitution ring you were heavily involved in back in 87?”

“You wouldn’t dare bring that out!”

“Try me....”

62 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 62

Nick was curled up into the tinest ball he could manage, trying to get heat back into his shivering body. He tried his best to keep his ailment to himself for fear of being picked on by management and the guys. He felt that everyone was against him and he was bringing the group down everytime he got sick.

“Here Nick... try this stuff, it should quiet your cough.”

Nick peeked out from under the blankets to see what looked like Howie’s hand holding a brown bottle and a teaspoon.

“Ib bine.”

“Nick, don’t lie to me, your voice sounds like shit.”

“I daid I wad bine.”

“Oh for the love of God, take this stuff, it will help you to get better until we can get you something for this cold.”

Before Nick could reply, Howie poured out some of the honey colored mixture onto the spoon and offered it to the ailing teen. “Sit up so you can take this.”

Slowly, Nick did as he was requested.

“Here..... open your mouth up.”

Nick glared up at the Latino. “I dink I cab do dis byselb.”

Grabbing the spoon, he sniffed at the liquid.

“I really doubt you can smell anything by the way you sound. Just take the medicine like a good boy and then you can go back to sleep.”

Pinching his nose closed and closing his eyes, Nick opened his mouth quickly swallowing the liquid, immediately sputtering and coughing when it when down his throat. “Arrgh.... ugh....”

“It’s not that bad Kiddo, stop being so dramatic about it,” Howie sighed with a grin. Reaching out, he gently pushed on the teen’s shoulder and then pulled his covers up, tucking him into the bunk. “Now lay back down and try to rest.”

Brian looked up from his laptop when Howie returned from the back of the bus. “So how’s Nicky doing?”

A barking cough from the back answered Brian’s question.

“That doesn’t sound very healthy.”

Howie nodded in agreement.

“I wouldn’t doubt if the boy gets pneumonia, you know how Kaos is, he’s a human magnet for germs,” AJ pointed out.

“Well it didn’t help that he was wandering around without any shoes on his feet in the freezing cold in downtown Warsaw,” Kevin added.

“Well regardless, he needs to see a doctor at the next stop or he will be really sick,” Howie suggested.

“What’s wrong with the doc that took a look at him at the hotel?”

“AJ, that doctor was a quack and you know it.”

“A quack by your lame standards. The man had a black bag and meds, so by my standards, he was a doctor. He said the boy had a cold and he would have to just tough it out. Please don’t tell me you’re starting to buy Nick’s overacting when it comes to a cold!”

Kevin closed the novel he had been reading and placed it roughly down onto the table. “I think I can judge what is sick and what is faking and Nick isn’t faking.”

Another bout of harsh coughing was heard once again, almost as a testament to Kevin’s words regarding Nick.

“This is just crazy....I’m going back there to see if he’s okay.”

"I'll go too," Brian offered as he followed his cousin to the sleeping area of the bus, barely able to keep up with Kevin's long legged strides.

Pushing the heavy curtain aside, Kevin peered into the dark bunk that Nick occupied. "Hey buddy, how you feelin'?"

Rolling over, Nick peered out of his protective cocoon, staring up at Kevin's face.

"Huh?"

"I asked you how you were feeling," Kevin repeated, raising a hand to place ontop of the ailing teen's forehead. Nick pulled the blanket back over his face.

"Nick, I want to see if you have a temp."

"No."

Grabbing at the blanket, Kevin tried to pry it from Nick's grasp. "Let go!"

"Noooo."

"Oh for Chrissake Nick, let Kevin check you over!"

After a few moments, the grip was finally released on the blankets that covered his face and only one blue eye peeked out from the hole. "Ib knob sick." *cough*

"Nickolas Carter, let me feel your forehead," Kevin demanded, his voice sounding edgy.

After a few moments of Kevin pulling at the blanket and Nick fighting him off, Kevin was successful in placing a hand on the young man’s forehead, sighing when he made contact.

“You’re either burning up or you’ve got too many blankets on. Take some of that crap off!”

“Bud I’m cod,” Nick protested.

“Just do it and I’ll check back on you in a bit. Take a nap.”

Brian followed his cousin to the front of the bus. “Do you think he has a high fever?”

Kevin shrugged his shoulders. “He felt warm but I doubt he has a high fever. God, the kid had so many blankets wrapped around him he’s probably baking himself. I think it’s just a good old fashioned cold and if he gets some sleep he might sound better by showtime tomorrow.”

“Let’s hope so.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

As much as he tried, Brian found it difficult to relax. He had thumbed through several magazines and listened to most of his CD’s on his walkman, but nothing took his mind off of his sick best friend. Jerking the headset off, he quietly got up from his seat and walked toward Nick’s bunk.

The heavy curtains were drawn shut and Brian debated about peeking in to see how Nick was doing, afraid he would wake the young man up. As he started to turn away, he heard movement from the bunk.

“Are you awake?” Brian whispered softly.

“Mom?”

Brian grinned hearing Nick’s hoarse voice. “No, it’s Brian.”

“When did you get here?”

Puzzled at Nick’s question, he pushed the curtain back. “I just walked back here to check and see how you’re feeling.”

“You walked?”

“No, I rode a bike back here... of course I walked, goofy. Must be Howie’s medicine cleared your sinuses up, you’re sounding better.”

Nick looked up at Brian with a confused gaze. “Howie? When did Howie come over?”

“Nick, knock it off, it’s not funny.”

Looking at his surroundings, Nick giggled quietly. “Oops, sorry now I see where I am.” He placed a hand to his forehead. “I guess I was sleeping hard.”

“Must be,” Brian agreed.

Looking past Brian’s shoulder, Nick’s eyes narrowed. Brian followed Nick’s gaze and then looked back at the teen. “What’s wrong?”

“You just have to make sure Lou doesn’t see me laying down sleeping,” he whispered.

“Why not?”

“Because he’s gonna be pissed at me. He always gets pissed at me, you know.”

Brian sat down on the edge of the bunk. “No, why don’t you tell me about it.”

“Promise you won’t tell him I said anything?”

“Okay, I promise I won’t tell him.”

Nick rolled onto his back and sighed. After a few moments, he looked like he had drifted off into another world.

“Nick? Hey Nick, you were gonna tell me about Lou.”

“Oh yeah, sorry about that. Okay, well you know how Lou is always on my case and yells at me?”

“He yells at all of us,” Brian corrected.

Nick’s face grew somber. “No, he don’t yell at you guys like he yells at me. He told me I was a fat and none of the girls are going to like me pretty soon. He said if I didn’t stop eating and start getting serious about going on a diet I was going to be too big to be up onstage.”

“Nick, you’re not fat--”

Nick held a hand up to silence his friend. “Hear me out. He said I was getting fat and lazy. Remember when I was really sick at that award show? That was Lou’s fault.”

Brian looked at Nick with a puzzled expression on his face. “How could you being sick be Mr. Pearlman’s fault?”

“He gave me this diet drink and it made me sick. He kept making me eat and the more I would eat, the sicker I got.” Nick looked over Brian’s shoulder again, lowering his voice into a smaller whisper. “And now I gotta take these little tiny diet pills but no one knows about them. He said I gotta be thirty pounds thinner after our break or he’s going to fire me from the band.”

“He couldn’t fire you from the band Nick, be serious.”

“I swear.”

“Does Johnny know about this?”

“Not that I know of.”

“I need to tell Johnny about this, this is serious,” Brian stated as he started to get up. Nick reached out and grabbed him.

”NO! DON’T TELL ANYONE!”

“Tell anyone what?”

Brian stiffened when he heard Lou Pearlman’s thundering voice. The anger at what Nick had just told him, rose quickly, making his heart beat faster in his chest as the adrenaline levels skyrocketed. “Nick told me about your little talk you had with him about his weight and what you’re doing to him.”

Pearlman looked at Brian incredilously. “What are you talking about?”

”Brian, please,” Nick hissed.

Brian ignored Nick’s pleas and continued. “Nick told me that you are telling him he’s getting too fat and he needs to lose weight and you’ve been giving him diet medications and making him get sick. When we get to the hotel, I’m placing a call to his parents!”

Both boys were waiting for Pearlman to start on one of his famous yelling sprees but to Brian’s surprise, the obese manager started laughing. At first it was a small chuckle but it quickly turned into a huge belly laugh, puzzling Brian with his reaction. “Brian, Nick, you two are such practical jokers, you know that?”

Brian narrowed his eyes at the manager. “What do you mean?”

Patting his paunch, Lou shook his head. “Me of all people to tell someone they have a weight problem? Nick is a growing kid far from being fat like me. I certainly am not the one to point fingers at anyone about their weight.”

“But.. but Nick told me that you said this, I wasn’t joking.”

Pearlman stared at Nick who had shrunk away into the corner of his bunk. “You also mentioned to me earlier that the boy has a bad cold, remember?”

“What does a cold have to do with this?” Brian asked in an exasperated tone.

“The boy is obviously delusional. He’s not making any sense.” Pearlman smiled at Nick.

“He looked like he knew what he was saying to me before you came into the room.”

“I bet he doesn’t know where we are right now,” Pearlman challeneged.

”I don’t know where I am right now,” Brian stated.

“Let’s make this a mutiple choice question for Mr. Carter then, shall we?”

Brian folded his arms across his chest. “Okay.”

“Nick, we are on a tour bus right now, right?”

Nick shook his head in agreement.

“Alright, you have your choice of a correct answer. Are we going to (1)Zurich (2) Stockholm (3) Los Angeles or (4) Boston?”

Nick’s face looked deep in thought for a moment and then he smiled and said, “It’s number three, we’re going to LA.”

“See, there’s your proof, the boy is talking nonsense, don’t pay attention to his rambling.”

Brian looked at Nick and then at the manager. “Nick we’re in Europe, you know that, right?”

“We are?”

Lou patted the Kentuckian on the shoulder. “Go back and rest Brian, we will be having a busy schedule ahead of us.”

Brian obeyed the manager’s orders, glancing back at Nick as he walked away. When Pearlman was certain that Brian was out of hearing range, he leaned over at Nick. “Carter, what was the first thing I told you about our little talk about your weight?”

Nick swallowed hard. “Not to tell anyone.”

“You were talking and fortunately, I was able to convince Brian that you weren’t thinking clearly.”

“I-I, couldn’t stop myself, it kinda slipped out.”

“Well at least you covered your stupidity. I will have to watch myself for the rest of this goddamned tour because I know that Littrell will be watching me and especially you. Just eat what you want, but I want you to know that I expect you to be dieting and starving yourself when you’re on break or you know the consequences, do I make myself clear?”

“Yessir.”

When Brian made his way to the seat beside his cousin, he nudged his shoulder. “Kevin, I need to talk to you.”

63 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 63

“Bri.... I think you’ve been on tour way too long,” Kevin remarked with a sigh. “I mean, let’s analyze this. On one hand, we have Kaos, bullheaded sonofabitch that he is and on the other hand we have Lou. Do you really think that Lou could possibly scare Nicky into giving up his munchies?”

Brian shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know what to think anymore.” He tucked a leg underneath the other one, sitting semi-cross legged on his hotel room bed. “But if you saw the look in that kid’s eyes, I’m sure you would be drawing the same conclusions.”

Pushing his gangly body up from the opposite bed, Kevin smirked. “Yeah, well Nick is a good actor and I think he’s just bored. You’ve been worrying about this ever since we got off the bus this morning.” He patted his cousin on the shoulder. “C’mon, we better go or Johnny will put out a search party for us.”

Scooting off the bed, Brian followed his cousin down the dim hall toward Lou Pearlman’s room for the group meeting. Shoving his hands into his front pockets as he walked, Brian sighed. “Wonder what he’s gonna yell at us about this time around.”

Kevin stopped as they approached the suite’s door. “Honestly Brian..don’t be so damned negative.”

“I’m just saying that....”

“You’re just being damned negative.”

“Who?”

Brian and Kevin turned to see AJ sauntering down the hallway, a jacket draped over his shoulder. “What’s Kev riding your ass about now Rok?”

Shifting his weight, Brian grinned. “You know how Kevin is when he’s on the road...everyone is negative when they don’t agree with him.”

AJ fingered the rim of the cowboy hat he was wearing. “Yeah, well I just want this meeting done and over. There’s some shops I wanna check out.”

“You and your shopping,” Kevin grinned as he rolled his eyes.

“I like to shop too,” Howie piped up as he sprinted down the hall to join up with the others.

“Must be Kaos is already here,” AJ observed as he looked at the men standing outside the door.

“Better be,” Kevin added, glancing at his wrist watch. As he balled his fist to knock, the door opened and Lou Pearlman’s bulky frame blocked the entrance. A fake smile instantly was pasted on the manager’s face.

“There you are. Glad you could make it.”

“Captive audiences don’t get better than this,” AJ muttered as he filed into the room behind the others.

“What? Nick isn’t with you? Tsk...tsk, I’ll bet that old nasty cold got the best of him.”

“Oh....don’t know Lou... he is the only one of us that has the luxury of a room to himself,” AJ grumbled as he threw his body ontop of one of the king size beds that occupied the room.

“I’ll go get Nick.”

“No Brian, I’ll go get him, afterall, I am the manager,” Lou stated as he stepped out into the hall. No words were exchanged as the door softly closed, leaving the men alone in the suite.

“You realize this sucks, don’t you?” AJ rasped, raising his body up as he looked around the room.

Brian followed AJ’s gaze. “What sucks?”

“The fact that we work our asses off on this goddamned tour and share a fucking hotel room and fatass Pearlman sleeps like a baby in suites.”

“Don’t bite the hand that feeds you---”

“I’m just stating facts, that’s all.”

Inserting the room card into the slot, Pearlman jerked the door open. “Carter, get your ass out of bed, we have a meeting and you’re late as usual.”

Nick jerked awake and rolled onto his side.

“I said get your fatass out of bed. Let’s MOVE!”

Rubbing a hand over his face, Nick slowly sat up, the cold medicine making his brain feel mushy.

“Here,” Pearlman huffed as he handed Nick a clean tee shirt. “Put this on.”

Obediently, Nick peeled off the soaked shirt he had been wearing and pulled the fresh shirt over his head.

“C’mon Nick, the rest of them are waiting in my room!”

Nick sleepily followed the fat man down the hall and gasped when Pearlman shoved a bag of chips at him. “Open those up and start snacking.”

Looking at the large bag of potato chips in his hands, Nick narrowed his eyes. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me boy.”

“Um, you want me on a diet, remember?”

“Yes and you will be on one, as soon as we go on our hiatus. You blew it for now with your fat mouth, so you better be eating because everyone will be watching you and if anyone catches on, there will be deep trouble, so you better just keep on stuffing your face until we go on break. Remember our agreement, you loose the weight on break or you get fired from the group.”

“I-I don’t understand...”

“You told Littrell about the diet drink, the demands to lose the weight and I told him you were delusional. I doubt he bought my story, but for now, you have to keep eating like the world is coming to an end because all of them will be watching you to see if your story was true.”

“But I’m not hungry.”

“Pick at them then, but whatever you do, make it look like you can never get enough to eat. Got it?”

“But....”

”DO IT! Pearlman barked at the young man.

Nick hung his head as he followed the manager into the suite.

“Look who I found,” Pearlman announced cheerfully to the rest of the group assembled in the room.

________________

“I don’t know about you, but Nick looks like he’s feeling sick,” Brian whispered into AJ’s ear.

“When isn’t Kaos ever sick?”

Brian smiled mechanically at the young fan that was holding an 8 x 12 picture of the BSB, waiting for an autograph. “There you go sweetheart.”

AJ scrawled his name quickly across a CD cover, shoving it back at the fan, his face a mixture of business and boredom. He flashed a quick grin when the woman gushed her praises for the group.

Brian jerked when he heard Nick’s deep, barking cough. He looked over towards his young brother. “Are you alright bro?”

Nick smiled paley at Brian, nodding his head slightly as he uncapped his water bottle.

“You better take more of that cold medicine when this gets done Nicky,” Howie stated with a tone of authority.

Nick waved him off with a shake of his hand as he gulped the water. “I’m fine, just got some dust in my throat.”

“Yeah that sounded more like mucous coming up than dust,” Brian whispered.

“Jesus Brian, you want to make me sick too?” AJ moaned with disgust in his voice.

“Sorry people, but we need to cut this short....we have schedules to keep,” Johnny Wright annouced to the crowd that was still packed in the conference room.

“I waited all morning in line just to be told to leave? This is bullshit!”

Kevin arched an eyebrow in the direction of the displeased fan while AJ shook his head, grinning.

“Come here honey..... I like your style,” he called out as he pointed at the fan.

The young woman rushed up to the table, clutching a BSB tee shirt, some professional photos of the guys and a disposable camera.

“What’s your name darlin’?”

“It’s Melanie.”

“Mel, you want a picture taken?”

“God yeah.... yes I do.”

AJ gently took the camera from the girl and shoved it at Brian. “Take a picture of me and my new girl Melanie.”

Brian’s face became red when AJ shoved the camera at him and started ordering. He watched AJ prance around the table to be beside the young girl. She leaned against him as if they were longtime friends when he placed an arm around her waist. All the other fans stood whispering words like ‘she’s so lucky’ and ‘I wish I had the guts to say what she did.’

“Say sex,” AJ rapsed into her ear as Brian pointed the camera at them.

Melanie giggled as the camera flashed.

AJ hugged her quickly after the pictuer was taken. “Did you want an autograph too?”

“Yes, please.”

“What did you want me to sign for you?”

Instead of handing the shirt or a picture to AJ, the girl started unbuttoning her blouse. “I’d like you to sign my right breast.”

Brian’s mouth dropped open and Nick’s eyes grew round. Howie and Kevin chose to ignore the girl’s comments by acting busy with the pens and papers that were in front of them.

“Good thing I don’t have the letter I in my name,” AJ cackled as he took the felt marker and started signing his name in bold letters across the girls ample breast.

Melanie giggled in reply.

Capping the pen, he kissed the girl on the cheek. “I’ve got some free time, do you want to meet me in my room and show me how wild you really are?”

Stunned, Melanie shook her head yes.

Taking a slip of paper from the table, AJ wrote down Nick’s room number and a code word for the body guards. Folding the paper, he pressed it into the girl’s hand. “Come back after the show tonight and I’ll rock your world.”

_______________

Lou Pearlman shook his head as he looked over at Nick’s towel draped head. “I don’t know what you were doing out there on that stage tonight but that sure as hell wasn’t what people paid hard earned money to see.”

Nick kept his face buried under the white cloak, not giving the fat manager the satisfaction of seeing his hurt expression. “I told you I’m sick.”

“You’re always sick!”

The tears were stinging his eyes and Nick blinked to keep them from spilling. He was physically feeling bad and the mental abuse Lou was dishing out wasn’t helping him either. He wished the tour was over and his left could go back to being semi-normal.

“Nick can’t help it he got sick. The way you parade us around like circus animals would make the healthiest man get sick from time to time,” Kevin harshly defended.

“Well all of you are losing your touch out there and that has nothing to do with your schedule,” the manager bellowed. “I think you just plain don’t care.” The manager paused, directing his hard glare at Nick’s towel covered head. “Carter, you know what we’ve talked about before and you better do it or else!”

Upon hearing the manager’s words, Brian and Kevin exchanged a quick glance at each other. Suspicions were running through both men’s brains and they each wondered if it was about Nick losing weight. The actions that were taken by Nick shocked them next.

Flipping off the towel, Nick quietly announced, “I don’t know about you guys, but I’m starving. Let’s get out of here and have the driver run through a drive thru on our way back to the hotel.”

“Nick, seriously, we don’t have time for that crap, besides I want to get back,” AJ growled.

“It will be my treat boys,” Lou offered.

“Well in that case, I guess we could stop then.”

"Good, I'm glad you've accepted my offer, hurry and grab your stuff so you can get there before McDonald's closes. I'll give the money to the driver."

Nick reluctantly picked stuffed the towel into his duffel bag and followed the rest of the group toward the garage where the van waited. Sleep was more on his mind than eating but he knew that as long as Lou Pearlman was watching, he would have to play his game. He had to be perfect in the manager's eyes.

64 by Carrie_Swenglish

The stop at McDonald’s was the worst time in his life, Nick decided. All he wanted to do was find his bed and curl up into a ball and sleep the rest of the tour away. He had planned on getting only a chocolate milkshake when they stopped, but Lou had seen to it that Nick ate a Big Mac, extra large fries and a huge coke along with an apple pie.

Now the food was sitting like a greasy ball ontop of his stomach.

He fumbled with his room card a few times before finally getting it syncronized with the lock. The room looked inviting to him, and he didn’t even bother to undress, he just flopped his body down ontop of the comforter.

It didn’t take him long to start drifting off to the sleep he had been craving when there was incessant pounding on his door. Pulling a pillow over his head, Nick groaned, hoping that it was the door across the hall and not his.

”Wakey, wakey Kaos, let me in!”

Rolling over, Nick took the pillow and pulled it over his head, trying to block out AJ’s knocking. The night had seemed to pass by so quickly and he didn’t feel rested at all!

The knocking persisted. “C’mon Nick, I know you’re still up, let me in!”

Nick’s eyes flew open when he heard the words ’still up’. He turned his head to look at the digital clock on the nightstand.

”Jay......go away, I wanna sleep!”

”Let us in!”

Upon hearing AJ begging to be let in, Nick groaned, dragging his body out of bed. Pulling the door open, he started to complain to AJ about him bothering him when he didn’t feel good but stopped short when he saw AJ standing in the doorway with a girl.

“It’s about time,” AJ grumbled, pushing Nick against the door as they walked in.

Nick clenched his jaw as he watched AJ filed past him, along with his ‘flavor of the night.’

“Please, I’m really not feeling so great...... I wanna to sleep, do you mind?”

AJ adjusted his trademark sunglasses, lowering them to look over the top. “I don’t mind, you can just go down to my room and sleep away. We’d like some privacy anyway.”

“What’s wrong with your room?”

“Howie’s in it for starters.”

“Why don’t you just kick Howie out then? Why me?”

“Because Howie has a girl with him and I didn’t care to ruin his time.”

“So what makes you think he’s gonna want me in his room?”

AJ started pushing Nick out the door. “Because it’s his turn to babysit your ass. See ya later!”

Nick tried to catch the door before it slammed shut, but he was too late. He started pounding on the door but it aparently was falling on deaf ears. At least it was AJ that was deaf, not the other hotel patrons that were next to his room and the room across the hall.

He smiled sheepishly at the shocked and angry faces that appeared in the open doors. “Sorry..... I-I um, lost my room key,” Nick quietly apologized.

Reaching up with his fist to knock on the door once more, Nick stopped when he heard the girl’s laughter. He knew that once again he was kicked out of his room for AJ’s night of lust. Sadly, he turned away and trudged down the hall toward Howie’s room, inwardly praying that AJ was lying about Howie having a girl in their room.

Standing outside room number 1412, Nick raised his hand to knock on the door but once again stopped suddenly when he heard Howie and a girl laughing. Resting his head against the door, Nick mumbled, “All I want to do is get some sleep.”

Running a hand through his hair, he turned away from the room knowing that he wouldn’t be welcome in there either. He decided he had no other choice but to go and try to see if Brian and Kevin would let him in their room.

He knocked quietly on the door at first, scared to catch Kevin’s wrath if he got woke up but after there was no answer, he cleared his throat and knocked again. “Bri? Are you awake?”

After a few moments, the door creaked opened and Brian’s tired face appeared. “What’s wrong now?”

“I got kicked out of my room. Can I come in?”

“You got kicked out of your room?”

“Yeah AJ has some girl with him and he kicked me out.”

“Why don’t you go and sleep in Howie’s room then?”

Nick sighed. “He has a girl in his room too.”

”Brian? Who is at the goddamn door now?”

Brian rolled his eyes, opening the door wider. “It’s Nick, he needs to sleep in here tonight.”

“Why?”

“I’m sorry Kevin....I got kicked out by AJ. I’ll be really quiet, you won’t even know I’m in here.”

“You got that right. You can sleep in Brian’s bed, not mine!

“I’ll go someplace else, I don’t want to put anyone out,” Nick mumbled as he edged his way out into the hall.

Brian reached out and jerked Nick back into the room by his arm. “Don’t be stupid....where else can you go?”

Reluctantly, Nick laid down in the bed next to Brian, trying to find a comfortable spot as quietly as he could.

______________

Instead of the alarm clock buzzing, Nick jerked awake by the sudden spray of ice cold water to his face. Sputtering, he quickly sat up. “What the hell was that for?”

“Can’t you smell it?” Kevin spat as he towered over the bed.

“Smell what?”

“You were farting like some goddamn barn animal. I’d be surprized if Brian doesn’t wind up with brain damage from that infernal smell!”

“That doesn’t give you a reason to throw water at me,” Nick protested, wiping his face with a corner of a bedsheet.

“I think it does. My room, my rules.”

“God, someone didn’t wake up very happy this morning,” Nick mumbled as he pulled the blankets off his body.

“Neither one of us slept at all,” Brian grumbled in a tired voice.

“Yeah, you were either snoring or hacking up a lung all damn night long,” Kevin pointed out.

“And the smells weren’t the best either. I have never heard you fart so much in my life.....ever.”

“I’m sick.”

“That’s always your excuse Nick, it’s getting old. Grow up for a change, okay?” Kevin hissed. “You better go down to your room and clean up, we’re due for a breakfast conference in an hour.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“You’ll have to go anyway, like it or not.”

As Nick started walking toward the door, Kevin stopped him. “Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask you a question about something I found the other day.”

Nick stopped and turned to face his older brother. “Yeah?”

“I found some pills on the floor in your room, I think they fell out of your pocket.”

Nick could feel the hair on his neck prickle. He had forgotten about the diet pills that Lou had ordered him to take when he was pressing him to loose weight.

“I was wondering, what are they?”

Afraid that Lou would know if he said anything about the diet pills, hesitated and stalled as he tried to come up with a lie to satisfy Kevin’s curosity.

“Pills?”

“Yeah, the little white things I found in an unlabed bottle. Hold on, I’ll get them.”

As Kevin disappeared into the bathroom, Nick decided this was a good time to make his exit. “Hey, I better go get dressed or I’ll be late for the meeting.” He opened the door thinking that questioning would be over.

“Hey, wait Nick, Kev will be out in a minute, you act like you’re trying to hide something,” Brian called out.

Nick stopped, his hand still on the door knob. “I just don’t wanna be late, you know how Lou is always on my case about being late for meetings and stuff.”

“Here they are,” Kevin announced, tossing the bottle to Nick. “What are these again?”

Nick looked down at the bottle in his hand. “Oh, these?”

“Yes, those.....what are those again?”

“I never told you?”

Kevin folded his arms across his chest; arching an eyebrow as he waited for an explanation from his young brother. “No, Nick you never told me. Why are you stalling?”

“I’m not stalling.”

“No? I could have sworn you were....”

“Vitamins,” Nick blurted.

”Vitamins?”

“Yeah they’re multi vitamins.”

“Funny...I’ve never seen vitamins that look like that. They’re so tiny.”

“Well, that’s cause they’re a special foreign blend. I got them in that shop down the street.”

“Is that a fact.”

“Yeah.”

“That’s funny cause I found those when you came back from being lost in Warsaw....how could you get them here?”

“Um.... well, um, I guess I got them in Warsaw, how the hell can I remember where I am from one day to the next. Look, I better go get ready.”

“Take one.”

“Huh?”

“If they’re multi vitamins, you can take one right now. Here’s a bottle of water. Take one.”

“Geeze Kev, I don’t want to take that on an empty stomach.”

“Nick, I think you’re lying about those pills.”

Snatching the water bottle from Kevin’s hand, Nick popped open the vial containing the diet pills. He knew he was going to have a hard time eating anything to satisfy Lou, but he had to please Kevin.

“There.....satisfied?”

“Yeah, I’m thrilled. I still don’t believe you though.”

Nick sighed. “Okay Kev, I’ll come clean. They weren’t vitamins.”

”I KNEW IT!”

“Yeah.... it was Ectasy and I’m gonna go crazy in five....four....three...two....”

Kevin’s face flushed with anger when Nick rushed up to him and started jumping up and down and talking jibberish.

”GO GET READY!”

Relief washed over Nick’s body when Kevin finally dismissed him from the interrogation. He was grateful that his story seemed to have been bought but in an instant, soon realized that he would have to force himself to pull off the breakfast now and he didn’t know if he would be up to the task.

Life always sucked for him, no matter how hard he tried.

65 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 65

He stared at his reflection in the bathroom mirror, seeing the imperfections that seemed nonexistent to others but stood in plain view in his eyes. What he saw other than the new traces of acne that seemed to come and go at will - compliments of the greasy stage makeup was a face that looked puffy and tired. His eyes lacked the usual sparkle. Nick was tired from the rigorous schedule that Lou Pearlman had set up for the band and he doubted he could keep up with the rest of his band brothers the way he had been feeling ever since the incident in Warsaw.

The whole tour up to this point had been a flurry of one troublesome incident after another with no end in sight. Nick wished he could crawl into his bed and pull the covers up over his head and drift away into nothingness. Nonexistence would even make him a happy man, he decided.

His thoughts were interrupted by a the sharp knock on the door.

“Nick, it’s time to go downstairs.”

Resting his forehead against the coolness of the mirror, Nick let out a groan. “Hold on a sec, I’m coming.”

Stepping onto the elevator with his bodyguard, Nick kept his eyes focused on the floor, deep in his own thoughts. Thomas picked up on his charge’s mood, wondering what had happened this time. “Wanna talk about it?”

The black man’s voice startled Nick and he jumped. “Huh?”

Grinning, Thomas shook his head. “I just asked if you wanna talk about it.”

Blinking as he tried to figure out what Thomas was asking, Nick closed one eye as he looked over at the man. “Talk about what?”

“Look, I can tell something’s bothering you kid, I just wanted ta let you know that I’m a good listener, that’s all.”

Tucking his hands into his front pockets as he leaned against the wall of the elevator, Nick shook his head. “Nothing’s wrong, I’m just thinking.”

“Oh, just thinkin’..... I see.”

Nick could hear the tone in the bodyguard’s voice. “I’m not trying to convince you about anything, okay. I was just thinking. Jesus, can’t a guy just think without someone jumping on his case?”

The elevator doors slid open, and without missing a beat, Nick started off, as Thomas clamped a hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry if I overstepped my bounds,” he quietly apologized. “It’s just that I worry about you.”

Shrugging the man’s hand off his shoulder, Nick walked away at a fast pace, hoping to duck into the safety of the conference room without being nabbed by the fans that were hanging out in the hotel lobby.

“Wow Nick, you made it ontime to something for a change,” Kevin announced, pointing at the vacant seat beside him. “You’re suppose to sit here.”

Wordlessly, Nick slumped into the chair, keeping his eyes down, avoiding any type of confrontation from the guys.

AJ leaned over. “Didn’t sleep good last night?”

Fingering the rim of the glass of icewater, Nick hissed without looking up, “And why would you think that?”

“Tsk...tsk...tsk, touchy?”

Kevin leaned forward, boring an angry glare at AJ. “Shutup and leave Nick alone.”

AJ put his hands up in defeat. “Whatever.”

Howie nudged AJ’s shoulder. “You gotta stop pushing people’s buttons, it’s irritating.”

AJ grinned, glancing over at Nick. “It’s what I do best, right fatty?”

Wanting to lash out at AJ’s remark, Nick did the opposite and put the glass of icewater to his lips. He figured putting something in his mouth would stop him from speaking and hopefully tell his tattooed brother that he wasn’t about to play any of his ‘friendly games’ this morning.

“Howie that girl I was with last night was incredible. A good lay----”

“Is that all you care about?” Nick snapped, finally having enough.

“You ain’t no virgin---”

“Don’t bring me into this!”

“For the love of God, Nick and AJ shut up!” Brian snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Quiet down, all of you,” Kevin directed calmly. “Johnny and Lou are coming.”

All of the men watched as the two managers walked into the small dining room.

“Well, I’m glad to see that everyone is here on time,” Pearlman said in his low gravely voice, taking his seat directly across from Nick.

“Funny....that’s what Kevin said when Nick came in,” AJ quipped.

Howie elbowed AJ in the ribs quickly, causing AJ to gasp sharply and then glare at the Latino. “What the fuck was that for?”

“Boys!” Pearlman hissed, directing his angry glare at AJ, who was preoccupied with rubbing his side. “We must conduct ourselves in a wholesome manner. Remember, we have young fans to be concerned about.”

AJ rolled his eyes behind closed lids, wishing that the manager would be gone when he opened them up. ”Shit.....” he mumbled upon opening his eyes and seeing the manager looking directly at him.

Pearlman rubbed his chubby hands together. “I hope you boys are hungry, I’ve ordered a feast for us this morning.”

Nick squirmed in his chair, swallowing hard. The diet pills had done their job and he was doubtful that he would be able to eat a morsel of food. He could have broke out in a nervous sweat when Lou looked over at him.

“I ordered your favorite dish Nick, it’s the least I could do since you’ve been feeling under the weather lately and well, all the things that have been happening to you over the past few months with the tour. I guess you could consider this a peace offering.”

Nick’s smiled paley at the manager. “You really shouldn’t have done that. Everything’s fine, I don’t need anything from you.”

Several waiters carried out round serving platters while others were walking around the table with coffee decanters, orange juice and milk, pouring their contents in each of the glasses that were setting in front of each of the men at the table.

In an orchestrated move, one of the waiters set a large platter heaped with food in front of Nick. It was stacked high with blueberry pancakes dripping with butter and another plate had bacon and sausage while a third plate held three fried eggs.

“They’re all your favorite Nick.....dig in,” Lou smiled.

Nick looked at the plate and then back at the manager. “This is all for me?”

“Of course it is. I told you I’ve been so hard on you lately and I feel so badly about it.”

Looking down at the plates, Nick gulped. “You can’t be serious!”

Pearlman leveled his gaze at Nick. “Remember our little talk?”

“But I’m not hungry,” Nick whispered, looking at the manager.

In an unexpected move, Pearlman kicked Nick’s leg, hitting him squarely ontop of his shin. No one seated around the table noticed the manager’s moves; all were too preoccupied with their own food. Nick jumped and his eyes met the managers.

’EAT’ Pearlman mouthed with a look of anger etched in his face.

Reluctantly, Nick picked up his fork and stared down at his plate. Tears were pricking his eyes, and he dared not look up for fear he would start crying.

Nick obediently did as he was told and mechanically pushed his fork through the pancakes, shoveling the food into his mouth.

“Better slow down Kaos,” AJ remarked.

“Jeeze Nick, you act like you haven’t eaten in weeks,” Howie added.

Brian leaned forward in his seat, curious to see what AJ and Howie were talking about. To his surprise, Nick was focused on the plate in front of him, not looking at anything else.

“Hey Nick, I thought you were on a diet,” AJ cackled. “You keep eating like that you’re gonna bust out of your pants.”

“Leave the boy alone,” Pearlman hissed.

When he heard Lou defend Nick, a confused look crossed Brian’s face. This was out of character for the manager. He had constantly harped on Nick about one thing or another, Brian thought. Now he was acting like Nick was in healthy shape and Brian knew better.

Nick was sure he was going to puke when he put the last forkful of food into his mouth. He felt so bloated he thought he would burst. Sinking back into his seat, relief washed over him knowing that the task he had to do was finished.

AJ leaned over and gestured with a wave of his fork towards Nick. “Hey tubby.....you missed a spot on your plate.”

A large belch escaped Nick’s mouth when he moved away from AJ.

“You gross fucking pig,” AJ spat.

Nick’s face flushed from embarrassement. “Oops, excuse me.”

“If it’s okay with everyone, I’m going back to my room and lay down. I really don’t feel so good,” Nick stated as he pushed himself away from the breakfast table.

“I can see why. You stuffed yourself, I’d feel like shit too,” AJ pointed out with a grin.

“Nick, laying down on a full stomach isn’t good, you need to exercise.”

“Thanks for the info Kev, but seriously, I don’t feel good.”

“You’ll do neither my boy because I have all of you scheduled for a promo visit to the Virgin Megastore in Vienna where you’ll be doing a special autograph session,” Lou Pearlman announced.

“Please don’t make me go.... I really don’t feel good,” Nick cried.

AJ poked Nick in the chest. “Stop your whining Kaos, if I gotta do this, you gotta do this.”

“I think I’m coming down with the flu or something.”

The men assembled at the table groaned hearing Nick complain about his ailment.

“And when aren’t you coming down with something?” AJ grumbled.

“Alright, that’ll be enough out of you McLean. You all have time to go back to your rooms and grab your jackets and meet me down in the lobby in ten minutes,” Pearlman ordered, glaring at Nick he added, “no exceptions.”

__________________

Sulking, Nick quitely took his seat in the rear of the van. The guys knew how he suffered from occasional car sickness, but no one gave him a break and let him sit in the front seat of the van. Lou Pearlman saw to it that Kevin sat in the front and no other spot was available for Nick except in the very back, next to Howie.

Watching his brother take the seat next to him, Howie leaned over and whispered, “Nicky, you really don’t look like you feel so hot.”

Resting his head against the cool glass window, Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I’ll be fine.”

No more words were exchanged for the rest of the trip. As Howie glanced over at Nick several times, he started to worry about his little brother. Although his complextion looked chalky his cheeks were pink from the fever. Shaking his head sadly, all he could think about was how hard Lou Pearlman was pushing Nick; Nick and everyone.

As soon as the van stopped in front of the crowded record store, the anxious girls suddenly surrounded the van, pounding on the windows and doors. The rocking of the van jerked Nick awake from his nap.

Looking out the window, his eyes grew wide in fear. Ever since the incident where he had been slammed against the bus, Nick was scared of large crowds in an outdoor environment.

“My God.....look at all the beauties out there,” AJ said in awe as he tapped his hands against the glass.

Brian’s voice sounded far from awe, it was more like pure panic. “AJ...stop taunting them, okay? Can’t you see they’re riled up enough already?”

Nick held onto his backpack in a tight grip. “Holy shit, they’re gonna kill us!”

“They just want the boy..... let Nick out and we can follow when the pyrhana are finished circling the bus,” Kevin chuckled.

“No....no, don’t make me go out there.....please, guys, don’t make me go out there alone.”

Howie put a calming arm around Nick’s shoulder. “It’s gonna be okay, detail will come in a minute and we’ll be alright.”

“I really feel like shit,” Nick mumbled. “I don’t know why I have to do this.”

“Because I have to so you have to, remember?” AJ sputtered. “And I’m not happy about this either..... holy shit I just saw a breast... Kev, did you see that girl’s breast?”

“Yes AJ I saw the breast. Do you think you could stop drooling for a minute?”

“God, she just flashed the bus again,” Brian gasped, his face turning a bright shade of crimson.

“Does anyone care that I feel like complete shit?” Nick mumbled again.

”NO!” Kevin, AJ and Brian shouted in unison.

“I seriously feel like I could throw up, and if I do, it’s gonna be on you assholes.”

“You do and I’ll kick your ass from here to kingdom come,” AJ rasped.

Pulling his jacket tighter around his chest Nick sank back into his seat. “Bite me.”

Four body guards pulled open the side door to the van. “Okay guys, c’mon, running start to the store.”

One by one the guys filed out of the van, and tried their best to sprint toward the store entrance, the excited fans reaching out and tugging at anything they could lay their hands on. One girl managed to grab Nick’s backpack jerking him and a quick struggle ensued until Thomas stepped between the young woman and Nick, breaking the tug o’ war between the two with the backpack.

“Thanks, I owe you,” Nick shouted as Thomas placed a protective arm around his young charge.

The men took their assigned seats at the long table that had been set up in the center of the store. Thankfully, the fans and the store managers couldn’t detect that none of the boys wanted to be sitting in the store signing autographs, they all had on their “stage faces” smiling and laughing casually amongst themselves with mindless banter.

All staged. All practiced.

Nick shed his jacket quickly, trying to find some respite from the fever his body was fighting. Picking up the bottled water, he rolled it on the side of his face.

“What’s your problem?” AJ whispered when he picked up on Nick’s actions.

“I told you I wasn’t feeling good,” he whispered back.

“Yeah.. yeah, same old crap from you.”

Ignoring AJ’s comment, Nick picked up the black marker and set himself for the hour long autograph session that the managers had arranged for them. It was hard for him to focus on the sea of faces that filled the store, it almost made him feel dizzy. With practiced poise, Nick started quickly signing his name, always thankful that he only had four letters to scrawl - nothing fancy, just plain ole Nick. Period. He felt so awful, he didn’t have the energy to write his last name.

“Thank you,” he said as he pushed the CD back across the table, waiting for the next person in line.

Mopping his forehead with the back of his hand, Nick tried to wipe the beads of sweat off. He felt hot and cold, and his ears were buzzing, the voices of the crowd sounded so far off. Looking up he noticed that the sides of the room seemed dark to him.

A wave of nausea swept over him and his mouth started to salivate. From past experience, Nick knew this was not a good sign and he looked warily around the room for an exit.

He needed fresh air.

Fast.

“I-I’ll be right back,” Nick stammered as he set the pen down.

“Sit tight, we’re not finished,” AJ whispered harshly.

Nick felt like he was in autopilot as he quickly pushed the chair back and stood up. The fans that stood in front of his section of the table were screaming and jumping up and down, excitment hung in the air.

He looked over to his right and then his left and saw the red letters that looked like the entrance to the store. Nick only made it five steps before his legs started to feel like rubber.

Suddenly, his world went dark.

66 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 66 "There ya go baby," Kevin flashed a toothy white smile before handing back the small paper, with his name scribbled on it, to the girl in braces. It never ceased to amaze him how happy the fans became when he talked to them.

This was part of why Kevin was in the business, no correction it was the reason why Kevin was in the game. It was all for the fans. Entertaining for them, even if there were times when it all became too much. Today hundreds of girls and some boys too, had gathered in the music store to get a glimpse of their favorite band. The room was packed with people and the noise reached levels that were unbelievable. It was hot and stuffy in the room and Kevin reached for the waterbottle. Taking a swig he watched as the girl in braces got a huge smile in her face.

"Oh thank you..thank you so very very much," the girl squealed as she took the paper like it was the most valuable thing in the world. "I love you." He chuckled slightly since she instantly turned to her friend and said in a dreaming voice, "Ohhh isnīt he sooo gorgeous?" Her friend, also in her early teens responded with a giggle and then they left the scene almost backing out from the store just to get one last eye at their idol.

Kevin shook his head, stifling another chuckle before turning back to the crowd again. Another piece of paper was handed to him and he was just about to grab it when he heard AJīs hoarse voice sound through the room, like a yell," Nick!"

Turining his head to give a reprimand to the younger man while his mind was constantly trying to figure out what the blonde was up to this time, he saw that AJ stood up by the table. Shaking his head in disapproval, he thought that the two of them had a habit of acting immature, especially Nick and for some strange reason all kinds of outbursts and embarrassing scenes were played whenever they were in the public eye. This was no exception.

To his disgust, he noticed that Nick was nowhere in sight and he was just about to open his mouth to ask what the hell they were doing when he spotted the boy in question. There on the floor was Nick, he was staggering like a drunk towards the exit. Opening his mouth he was about to ask what the teen was doing away from the safety of the table when he noticed the teen’s complexion. It was chalky white and there were beads of sweat pearling on Nick’s forehead like waterdrops.

Before he had a chance to call out to Nick he noticed the teen falter once more, reaching for his forehead like he was in pain and then within seconds it happend. Nicks legs gave away and like a drama queen in a novel he sank down to the floor and in reflex, Kevin reached out his hand to help while he watched Nick hitting the floor in slow motion.

Never in his life had Kevin been so quick in his moves. With a swift jump he moved over the table, nealy knocking down some fans in the process. Seconds later he was at his friend’s side, hunched down, checking for signs of life.

To his relief he noticed that the teen had only passed out, just like he suspected and soon he was joined by both AJ and Howie as well as hundreds of girls wanting to see what happend to the Backstreet Baby. " Niiicckkk!" Brian’s scream echoed through the room as he was also taking in the situation and doing his best to reach his friend. Girls were clinging to him like blotting paper so it was not an easy task to do.

Within a minute the whole area was declared a disaster site since the girls were doing their best to reach the idols that were on the floor, hunched down beside their little brother. Security was having a tough job pushing the fans away and there were more than a few harsh words being said.

Total turmoil.

"Oh my God what happend?" Brian asked, kneeling down by his friend. He was obviously in a state of shock and he held Nick’s hand like it was for dear life. Hard. "He passed out, what did you think happened?" AJ muttered, sounding annoyed when he in reality was just as worried as the rest of them but not inclined to show it since it would destroy his calm and cool image. Somehow he didnīt think that him breaking up infront of hundreds of girls was really appropriate so therefore he held a cold attitude. "Dumbass."

Brian glared at AJ before asking, "Why didnīt he tell us that he was feeling sick?" He shook his head in disbelief before continuing, "Kaos why do you always have to be so stubborn?"

Howie was the one to respond, "But Brian he did. He did say it, but we didnīt listen." He sighed deeply before adding with a shaky voice, "I told all of you that he was sick..but did you guys listen to me? NOOO!!!"

"Stop it D'" Kevin said, glancing around in the room, not wanting to create a bigger scene then there was. "This is not a time to dwell in self pity. We have to get Nick off this floor now."

"Yeah before the press comes," Brian said with sarcasm. "Heaven forbid that they find out that we have busted our asses off." He said with a mocking voice, "I can just see the headlines: Backstreet Boys fainting due to exhaustion, or even worse, Drug abuse."

"B'rok!" Kevin shook his head towards his cousin, wanting him to stop before too many people would hear the dispute that was unfolding on the floor.

Howie saw this as an opportunity to give some guilt to the rest of them, "Well if you had listened he would.." A loud growl from AJ interrupted his words, "D' Snap out of it!"

To say that the situation was stressful would be an understatement.

Since neither Johnny nor Lou was anywhere in sight, Kevin took hold of the situation. He felt Nick’s pulse which was fast and then his forehead. "Damn." The kid was burning up.

"What?" Both Howie and Brian stopped their discussion over which was the best listener as Kevin caught their attention. "What is it?"

"Heīs hot as an oven..with fever."

"Maaan." The three men said in unison.

"No wonder that he was acting so strange," AJ muttered more to himself then to anyone else. "He was strange even for being Kaos."

Now it was Kevin’s turn to catch a glare to his friend and he said, "Bone knock it off. We have enough trouble as it is and we donīt need you mocking Nick."Getting a snort back he continued, "We have to get him away from here. Get him to a couch in a backroom."

"And how the hell are we suppose to do that?" AJ asked showing with his hands towards the screaming crowd. It was hysteria on the floor.

"Letīs talk to Nick’s bodyguard Thomas," Howie suggested and so they did. Brian had a few words with the broad man and with a nod he agreed to help them out, but it was a difficult mission since the human fence that they had build up around the guys was starting to burst and soon the fans were in the process of crushing the boys.

The fans were doing what they could to get to their boyband. Some girls were screaming, calling out for Nick while others were crying and yet another bunch were down right hysterical. Security shouted to the crowd to back off, but it was futile since they couldnīt be heard above all the noise. It was not only the guys that were in a pressed situation the same went for the fans since the pressure was causing people to follow Nick’s example by fainting and some had to be dragged out of the crowd since they were almost stepped on to death.

The scary part was that it had all happened in a matter of minutes and now it was like a warzone. The press had also gotten wind off this, mainly beacuse some of the magazines were there to interview the fans about their idols. Now reporters were snapping pictures trying to get to the guys also. It was in all this turmoil that Nick was slowly starting to wake up. To regain consciousness.

************************************************************************ ************************************

It was all in such a haze. Opening his eyes Nick noticed that he was not in the music store anymore, signing CDs, instead he was laying on a hard leather couch in an office. Blinking Nick looked around in the room. He felt a bit disoriented and he was trying hard to remember what had happened. To his relief he found that he wasnīt alone and that all of his brothers were there in the room with him. Grateful over this Nick closed his eyes again and then sank back to the darkness, but not for long. A pounding sensation in his head made him wake up again. The harsh light was too bright for his sensitive eyes and he leaned one arm over his eyes, protectively. Groaning, he made himself known.

From a distance he heard the words, "Heīs awake," then there was rustling and someone came by his side. "Hey champ how are you doing?" Howie’s warm brown eyes swam into focus.

Another groan. He was definatly not in any mood to talk yet he had to find out what he was doing in this office. It was all such a blur and the more he tried to think the more his head ached. "Wha..what happend?" he mumbled weakly trying to stifle a cough that wase threatning to erupt from his lungs.

"You passed out." Kevin was there too.

"Uh huh." Nick shifted on the couch, trying to find a comfortable spot but failed since his limbs ached too much. He moaned again.

"How are you doing Frack?" Brian hunched down beside him, frowning. "Man you gave us quite a scare."

"Really?" Nick asked weakly then he continued, "my head hurts."

The guys looked at him with compassion, "Sorry there aren’t any Tylenols here but we’ll get you some once we’re back to the hotel, ok?" Howie looked appologetical.

"Sss...itīs ok," Nick mumbled, wetting his parched lips. "Man Iīm thirsty."

"Ok," Before Nick had a chance to react Brian was there with a cold glass of water, handing it to Howie who helped him sit up with one arm, "Here you go." Howie handed the glass to Nick who took it with shaky hands, "Think you can manage?"

"Yeah..yeah Iīm not a baby you know." Nick smiled weakly while he procceded to take a few gulps.

"Take it easy, " Kevin directed from the back. Nick was just going to comment back that he was all right when he broke out in a bad coughing fit. Once he was done he noticed that all, including AJ was standing next to him with a concerned expression in their eyes. Wiping the tears off his face he said, "Man youīre acting like Iīm dying or something. Chill out."

"It sure sounded like it," AJ muttered a bit disgusted. The ratteling cough reminded him of phlegm and it was turning his complexion into a shady shade of green, bile green. "Why didnīt you tell us that you were feeling like shit?"

Howie feeling Nick tensing up, cajoled softly as he rubbed the teen’s back from the previous coughing fit, "Shhh take it easy." He tried to help Nick to lay back down again but it was futile. The teen was much too agitated.

"I did!"

"No you didnīt," Brian was there too with a hint of accusation even though he clearly knew that Nick was not up to any word fights. It was the winner inside of Brian that had to have it right and therefore he started the battle without even thinking what he was doing. "You should have told us that you felt this bad and then we could have tried getting Lou and Johnny out of this deal."

"Fat chance," Nick mumbled upon hearing those words, "like they would have listened to me?"

"You canīt keep it all inside of you," Brian continued, not hearing what Nick was trying to say, "if you feel sick and wanna get off something you have to speak up and say it.. weīre not mind readers you know."

This was just adding more fuel to the fire.

"I did," Nick’s voice went up an octave. "I told you all but you didnīt listen. I said that I wasnīt feeling good, that my stomach hurt."

"Your stomach always hurt," AJ explained. "We thought that you were just your usual whiny self." If Nick hadnīt felt so weak he wouldnīt have thought a second time before hitting the older boy straight in his face. How rude to be calling him a whiny ass!

Sitting up straighter in bed despite Howies attempt to calm down Nick yelled hoarshly, "You all thought I was lying? Didnīt you?"

Now both Kevin and Howie were doing their best to calm the annoyed teenager down. "Hush..cool it. You’ll only work yourself up higher fever by getting mad." Kevin was grabbing Nick’s arm and together with Howie he tried to get the blonde to lay down on the couch again. "Come on."

"NO!" Nick was stiff like a pole. He shook off Kevin’s arm and then glared irritated at his bandbrothers. "You all thought I was bullshitting you, didnīt you?" When no one responded he repeated again, "Didnīt you..huh?"

"Calm down you’ll make yourself even more sick than before." This time it was Brian who was there with his arm, but Nick slapped it away like it was a fly. With venom dripping in his voice he asked accussingly, "How could you...How could you do that?"

They shifted uneasily infront of the teen. The scary part was that he was right, they had all neglected their friend’s attempts to communicate with them. Telling them that he was feeling sick. AJ was the first to say something, "Because you usually are saying you’re sick Kaos."

Kevin glared hard at AJ, "Shut up!" The skinny man didnīt want to hear anything like that and he said with a rasied voice, "What the fuck?..hey you all use to say that Nick complains all the time. You all say that he is a whimpy baby that isnīt even fit to wipe his own ass."

"We do not!" Howie sounded mad.

"No Bone I havenīt said anything like that," Brian declared giving away a hard stare.

"Ok..Ok.." AJ held up his hands in defeat, "Ok maybe not in so many words...but you all know what I mean and you all think that way." He stopped to look at the rest of the guys, all but Nick who he avoided. "You all say that the dude complains waaaay too much." He was doing his best to defend himself. This however put fire in the machinery.

"See," Nick yelled, "You donīt believe me. You never trust me." His face was red with a mixture of anger and fever. "You think that whenever I say something Iīm lying and.."

Nick was firing up ammunition when Brian cut in, "Donīt listen to Bone. He knows what to say to get you all fired up. And now youīre buying all that he is saying." He ignored the hard stare that AJ sent out from his side of the room. Turning to Nick he continued, "Iīm sorry Frack that I didnīt believe you when you said that you were not feeling good, but Bone is right," he tossed a quick glance towards the skinny man who looked more satisfied than before. "You have had so many ailments and germs in the past that we never know when it’s something serious. I thought that you were just trying to get out of work."

"Yeah like that time in Holland when you said that you had eaten some bad shrimp and then went out to the fair with AJ!"

"Hey donīt drag me into this," AJ held up a hand. "I had eaten the bad shrimp so Iīm innocent."

"Yeah right," Kevin snorted, "Bone for your information you don’t even eat shrimp and certainly not when you were just seventeen.

"Well..eh I had to keep Kaos company," he grinned unevenly at Kevin and Howie and Brian who looked anything but amused.

"When he was sick? At the fair?" Now Kevin was really getting into the conversation. This was something that had bothered him for a long time and he didnīt like when his brothers were trying to skip out of work.

"Nicky was sick for real," AJ said with a grin, "He even barfed in a garbagecan at the state fair."

Even though Nick still felt annoyed he had to smile at the memory. They had snuck out and then had a blast at the fair, going on so many roller coasters that his head had went for a spin.

"That was just because you were going on too many roller coasters," Howie reminded, not backing up Nick anymore. "And you," he pointed at Nick who grinned, "got sick on the carousel."

"I did not!" Nick defended himself. "It was on the tea cups..Ooopsss." He bit his toungue, suddenly knowing that he had said way too much. AJ gave him a hard glare whispering, "Idiot." Nick shrugged a bit uncomfortable.

Brian smiled smugly, satisfied that he had won the battle. “Well it doesnt matter anyway since the point is that you have lied to us before about being sick and then you have done something entirely different."

"Thank youuuu for really trusting me," Nick said dramatically when he knew that the battle was lost. Turning his back away from his so called friends he mumbled, "Now let me die in peace."

"Look what you did now," Howie muttered to Brian and AJ when Nick failed to answer anything despite the older man’s desperate attempts to get him on the bright side again."

"Leave him alone. Heīs just being stubborn." AJ and Brian said in unison leaving Nick with a snort.

The emotions in the room were pretty tense when the door opened and in came Lou, Johnny and the music store’s vice president. "So here you are," Lou exclaimed as he entered the room like a king. Glaring at the men he continued, "I heard that there was a catastrophe. What the hell happend?"

"He fainted," Kevin snapped. "What did you expect? The kid is running a fever."

"Watch it Richardson," Lou said threateningly before smiling towards the vice president, "Gotta keep them on a leash."

"Prick!" AJ mumbled and this had Lou raising an eyebrow. Johnny sensing that a fight was in the works walked over to Nick, ruffling his hair, "How are you doing son?"

"How do you think he’s doing?" Brian cut in, "Didnīt we tell you that Nick wasnīt feeling too hot?"

Nick had to bite his lip from cursing out loud. So NOW they were taking his side. Where had they been when he so desperately tried to tell him that he felt like sheer and utter crap? But that was not something he would say outloud since the guys had one rule that they never disobeyed and that was sticking together infront of the press, management, the world!

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, So you say." Lou wifted with his hand like he wanted to wipe Brian off from his part of the world. "Anyway I have called a doctor to take a look at him since I want him to be fit for the show tomorrow night." Turning towards the vice president he continued, "Nicky here has been sick all the time since we started touring and I want to find out what is wrong wíth him."

"Really?" the bald headed man said looking a bit concerned, "I hope itīs not something serious."

"No..NO.." Lou reassured him, " Itīs just a case of the Backstreet Bug and those suckers can be rough. You know how it is." He grinned widely towards the guys who looked like they wanted to sink down into a hole. Stepping over to Nick he said with no concern at all, "But you will be all right boy, wonīt you?" Not awaiting any answer he said to the vice president again, "He is a tough sucker." With a grin he added, "This boy sure is costing me alot of money, but then he is worth it." No one but Lou and the bald headed man laughed.

67 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 67 The drive back to the hotel had gone uneventful, for once, and once Nick was situated in his room the hotel doctor came up to take a look at the sick teen. AJ, Brian and Howie had all gone down to the restaurant to eat lunch and take a quick walk to the nearby mall. Kevin on the other hand was the only one that said he was staying. He wanted to be there for Nick in case he needed him and to tell the truth he also wanted to know what the doctor had to say too.

Once the doctor had come up to examine Nick, the teen had made clear that he didnīt want Kevin around. A sourly, the older man had left the room and instead he had been waiting in the corridor. The examination was taking itīs time and Kevin was getting more and more worried. What if there was something seriously wrong with his baby brother?

Sighing, Kevin sank down on the red carpeted floor, waiting. Mr. Pearlman didnīt like spending too many dollars on his charges therefore they were occupying a common middle class hotel. The scent of smoke and mildew hung low in the corridor and the wallpaper looked like it had seen their best years a long time ago.

Kevin had almost dozed off when the door opened from Nick’s room and the grayhaired doctor with glasses appeared in the doorway. Quickly Kevin made an attempt to stand but sank back down since his legs had fallen asleep. The doctor seeing his predicament reached out for a hand, "Here son, let me help you."

"Thank you." Kevin straightened himself once he was on his feet. Unfortunately his legs were still asleep and it felt like ants were building an ant farm in his calves.

The doctor peered atop his glasses, "Kevin Richardson I pressume," he reached out his hand again.

"Yes?" Kevin took the firm grip a bit puzzled that the doctor already knew his name. Before he had a chance to ask about it the doctor continued, "Iīm Dr. Waldorfen and young Nickolas was the one that asked me to talk to you."

"Oh he did, did he?"

"Yes," the doctor smiled towards him. "I take it that you are the one in charge of young Nickolas while his parents are away?"

Kevin tensed. What was he going to say? It was only partly true since the Wright’s were in charge of Nick while he was touring. And some charge that was! Donna, Johnny’s wife and Nick didnīt get along that well at all, especially not since Nick at one occasion gave Donna gum that tasted like fish innards. After that time Donna Wright saw black and red whenever she saw the young blonde. There had been other occasions too when Nick was bugging the living daylights out of the manager. The relationship the teen had with Mr. Wright was special. They were often getting on each others nerves, barking at each other but Kevin knew that the black man had a special eye on Nick. He liked him almost like his own son, even if he sometimes had a strange way of showing it. The relationship with Lou Pearlman however left much to desire. It was plain bad and slowly traveling from worse to a total disaster.

"Eh yes..eh..Iīm sort of in charge. Iīm..Iīm his big brother!"

With a frown the doctor expressed his surprise, yet he made no comment. "Young Nickolas asked me to inform you about his condition." Kevin smiled briefly. Somehow he doubted that Nick had been much inclined to that since he never liked talking about his health or sharing information of what bug that had struck him in the back.

Opening his briefcase the doctor pulled out a yellow paper. "This is a prescription for cough medication that I would like you to get for him. Iīm calling in the prescription as soon as I get down to my office."

"Ok." Kevin stared at the note, trying to read the doctors bad handwriting. "Mol..Moli.." he spelled getting a quiet chuckle from the elderly doctor.

"Molipect. I know I write very bad, at least my wife says that itīs bad." He grinned before continuing, "But we are not here to discuss my bad handwriting. Molipect is cough medicine since young Nickolas is suffering from a nasty cough. He has also a severe case of influenza, more commonly called the flu and his temp this afternoon is 102.5. Since itīs a virus and not a bacteria I canīt give him much to take and unfortunatly the virus has to run itīs course. " He drew back his breath before continuing. "Young Nickolas is ordered lots of rest and fluid. Iīm afraid that his temp may still go up a level so I suggest that you donīt leave him alone in his hotel room."

Kevin frowned. This was a very special man. He was talking about Nick like it was his grandson and with emotion he continued, "He may also experience an upset stomach which is not good since young Nickolas appears dehydrated."

"Dehydrated? From what?"

Not answering the doctor came with a cryptic question, "Have you noticed if young Nickolas has lacked appetite this past month?"

The words came as an surprise. "Lack of appetite?" Kevin scratched himself in the head. “No I donīt think so. He has been eating.. as far as I know at least." His thoughts traveled back to Nick and his eating habits. Ok he had to admit that the kid had actually eaten a bit less than usual, but nothing to be concerned about. Like always when Nick was touring he had problem on and off with an upset stomach and so was the case this time too. The fact that he had been to the hospital with a kidney injury didnīt exactly help the situation either. But then this morning Nick had been back to eating again, in fact he had stuffed himself full with pancakes and there didnīt seem to be any lack of appetite at that point. "Why do you want to know this?"

"Oh," the doctor pushed up his glasses ontop of his nose before answering, "Itīs probably nothing but today when I examined young Nickolas I thought that he appeared a bit malnourished."

Malnourished? Nick?

Kevin had a hard time hiding a smile that toyed in his lips. Swallowing down a chuckle he said with reassurance, "No..NO I can assue you that whatever Nick is..itīs not malnutrition. In fact he is constantly stuffing himself full with all kinds of junkfood." His sixth sense kicked in, growing suspecious he added, "Why are you asking these questions? Do you suspect something?"

"His skin appears a bit dehydrated and this has me a bit concerned," the doctor confessed. "I put him on an IV for the time being and I will be back later on this evening to see how your friend are doing."

"My little brother," Kevin corrected.

"Yes your little brother," the doctor smiled, then he suddenly grew serious. "There are a few questions that I feel obligated to ask you."

"Ok go ahead..shoot."

"Have you ever noticed if young Nickolas have ever starved himself?"

"Starved himself?" Kevin was becoming more and more puzzled by the minute. Was this some kind of joke. Kevin couldnīt hide the grin any longer. "Nick..No way..not him." Seeing the frown on the doctor’s face he continued, "I can assure you Dr. Waldorfen that Nick is not suffering from any eating disorder if that is what youīre aiming for."

"I didnīt say that," the doctor snapped which caught Kevin off guard. He never thought of the elderly being so terse. "All right," the doctor took another route with his questions, "Do you know if young Nickolas have been suffering from an upset stomach recently?"

"Yes, itīs easier to count the times when he is NOT suffering from an upset stomach." Unfortunately this was not far away from the truth since whenever the kid was suffering from one ailment or the other it was usually either his stomach or throat that got the worst hits.

"Fine," The doctor seemed to lighten up a bit. "Well there we might have the case for my patients dehydration." He smiled towards Kevin again, "Iīm afraid I have to get going for now, but like I said I will be up later on to see how young Nickolas is doing. Meanwhile I want him to rest and not doing any excersize and I certainly donīt want to see him out there performing for at least a week."

"A week?" Kevin couldnīt believe his ears. Hell would rather freeze over before Lou would allow Nick to back out of a show more than one night and that was still too much. Kevin knew that one of the reasons why he had sent after the doctor was because they had the night off as well as he had eyes on him when Nick had fainted earlier in the day.

"Yes are there any problems with that?" The doctor scooted down his glasses again, peering at him. "What is the problem?"

Kevin was on the verge to say that the management wouldnīt allow it when he stopped himself. During the years he had more and more learned not to trust anyone and giving away such information for this doctor could be too much. "No problems," he said with a grin, after all they were going to leave after tomorrows concert so the doctor was not likely to cause any problems. He hoped.

"Great. Well then Iīm off for now. Try and get that prescription as soon as possible so his lungs clears up."

"Ok will do." Kevin shook the doctor’s hand and as soon as the elder man was out of sight he was more and more starting to think of what the doctor had told him. Was Nick really dehydrated? What could be the cause for that?

A flash of memory came up in his mind. Hadnīt Brian talked to him about Nick claiming that Lou was giving him something to make him sick so that he would loose weight? What if this something was what was causing the dehydration? Could the doctor be right? Was Nick suffering from an eating disorder? Or what else could it be?

The questions were many.

Kevin had shrugged away Brian’s concerned for his friend as nonsense, telling him that he was reading too much into that one. But now he wasnīt so sure anymore. There were something fishy going on and he intended to find out what.

With that in mind he knocked on Nick’s door, letting himself inside...

68 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 68 There were times when all Nick wanted was to be at home. Home at his house in Ruskin Florida. Being like an ordinary guy in the neighborhood, going to highschool, dating, even playing some sports. Like a regular teenager. It was those times when being in the entertainment industry was as far away as could be. When he didnīt want to perform in front of thousands of fans, meeting them all the time, writing autographs. It was those days when he didnīt want to be cramped up in a hot and stinking bus going from one venue to the next. Spending time in a small hotel room in Nowhereland didnīt seem too tempting either. It was those days that all Nick wanted to do was hide from the world, pretend that he didnīt exist, being as far away from the popstar Nick Carter as could be. Luckily those days didnīt come often..but when they came they hit him hard!

Today was one of those days!

Nick couldnīt remember when he had felt more homesick than what he did at this very second. The sheets were hot and sticky and he felt so yucky that he wanted to scream. There was a piercing headache threatening to blow his skull apart and his throat was bothering him all the time. The doctor had told him that another flu bug had struck him and that sucked. Big time.

Sighing, he itched at the IV needle that was stuck to his hand. Despite all his protests the hotel doctor had set up an IV for him claiming that he was dehydrated and something else..malnutri..something. Nick’s mind didnīt work well enough to put those things on his mind, at least not when he had a fever. AJ on the other hand would quickly fill in that his brain never worked, not when he was well either.

A brief smile crept up on his lips. Kevin had told him that the rest of the guys had gone down to the mall since AJ had seen a pair of boots from the bus window that he desperately had to get. Nick sighed. If he hadnīt felt so bad he would have begged them to take him with them, but somehow he didnīt think it would cut it if he dragged the IV bag along, much less with the headache that he so desperately nursed.

He felt so alone. Forgotten where he laid in bed. Ok Kevin had taken upon the task to look after him but he could see in the tall man’s eyes that babysitting wasnīt one of his highest priorities, especially not since Nick could count the days that he felt ok this tour. He longed so much for it all to be over. The upcoming break in less than two weeks was very welcome and he would do nothing but sleep during that break. Sleep and nurse himself back to health.

Oh how he longed for his mom and dad. He longed for their nursing hands and the comforting words that they spoke when he was feeling life did nothing but suck. His father’s wise words and his mother’s hugs. He longed for her caressing touch when he was feeling under the weather on like a day like this. How she held the glass for him to drink from and helped him to the bathroom when he was too weak or dizzy to stand on his own. Heck he even longed for her chicken soup with those extra noodles.

In the early days when Nick had been younger his mom or dad used to travel with him, and sometimes his Uncle Joe. But nowdays they were way too busy taking care of his siblings and since Aaron was touring too, his mom was preoccupied with his little brother. He knew that it had been childish but he had actually begged them to come with him on this tour since it had been such a long time that he got to be with them. But they had told him that he was mature enough to stand on his own two feet and his brother and sisters needed them more. It had hurt but he knew that it was that kind of pain that came with growing up too.

Swallowing back the tears that were threatening to erupt, he had told them that he would be just fine and instead opted to call them almost everyday. The other guys, except Howie who was a true Momma’s Boy, laughed at him. Yet he didnīt care. He needed to hear his family’s voice, just to know that he was still loved and not forgotten.

It was in this state that Kevin found his little brother, sobbing in bed.

The moment Kevin opened the door he knew that something was wrong. It was dusk in the room from the curtains being pulled across the window still he could see Nick laying in the bed with his back towards the door. There was small sobbing noises coming from him which had Kevin going into serious bedside manner mode. "Oh my God Nicky, what is it?" He rushed over to his sick friend. "Are you crying?"

No answers came.

Kevin felt a pang of brotherhood in his heart when he saw how weak and young Nick looked where he lay in his sick bed, an IV attatched to his hand. He knew that it probably looked much worse than what it was, but still he couldnīt help to think that Nick had been through a lot, yet was looking not much older than a highschooler.

Stroking the teen’s back Kevin said, "Come on Kaos, tell me whatīs wrong. Are you hurting? Is it your stomach again?" He sat down next to the teen who made no move whatso ever that he had acknowledged him. "Are you feeling sick?" He tried to get Nick to turn his face towards him, but the blonde refused to budge. Sighing Kevin soon gave up any hope to make any sort of conversation and instead picked up the empty glass sitting on the bedstand."You want something to drink?" Not waiting any answers he walked out to the small bathroom to fill a glass with cold water.

While being inside his eyes fell on Nick’s toilet bag and even though he disliked people that snooped into other people’s stuff he couldnīt help but wonder if that bottle of pills he had found in Poland was still there. Nick had claimed that it was vitamins but his sixth sense told him something more. Taking a peak out in the bedroom he saw that the teen hadnīt made any movement and therefore opted to check the bag out. Opening the zipper he saw that Nick had only brought stuff that he considered absolutely neccessary. He wasnīt much of an items person and Kevin knew that all Nick’s belongings that he cared for would fit in a sportsbag. This was the opposite to the rest of the guys, especially AJ and Howie who dragged several suitcases along with all kinds of clothes, claiming that they couldnīt live without it.

Inside were a green toothbrush, Crest, a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and one bar of Dove soap as well as a bottle of tylenol, almost empty and one box of throat drops. Not much for the world to sulk over.

No bottles of pills.

For a brief moment Kevin feared that he had imagined it all. The sense of that those pills contained something else but those vitaimins like golden boy had told him. Yet he couldnīt shake his hunch that it might have something to do with the doctor’s concern for his friend’s health. What if it was something that Nick used to loose weight?

Why would Nick be eating dieting pills like teenage girls that wanted to be slim did? But then hadnīt Brian tell him that he was afraid that Nick was binge eating and then throwing the food back up? But why? Why would someone like Nick Carter who could get every girl that he wanted do such a thing was beyond his comprehention. Shrugging back the thoughts to the back of his mind Kevin shook his head, no that didnīt make much sense.

Yet he had a nagging feeling in the back of his mind and he just had to know. After all Nick was his baby brother and he loved him like his own flesh and blood.

"Kev are you there?" The voice was weak and shaky stirring the older man from his disturbing thoughts throwing him back to reality again.

"Yes," Quickly Kevin zipped up the bag in case Nick would come upon the idea of coming into the bathroom. "Iīm getting you a glass of cold water. You want anything else?" He cleaned the best he could so there would be no traces, giving him away.

"Yes, something for my head. It hurts like a bitch!"

"HEY! Watch your language."

"Ohh..uh sorry."

"Thatīs ok." Kevin smiled in smug, "So what do you want? Tylenol ?" He started to zip up the bag again when Nick called back, "Yeah I think I have some in my toilet bag."

"Ok." Shaking out a couple of white pills he returned to the bed where Nick leaned up against a stack of pillows. His face was swollen and red both from the previous crying fit as well as from the fever that was raging in his veins. "Here you go."

"Thanks," the teen accepted the pills in his shaky hand and then reached out to grab the water glass Kevin was holding in his hands.

"No, Iīll help you."

Nick opened his mouth to make a comment that he was not some kind of baby and that he could manage fine on his own when he changed his mind. It actually felt pretty good getting help. It was almost as comforting as when his mother was there for him.

Kevin held the glass for Nick to drink and when he was finished he wiped the waterdrops from his chin. "You wanīt anything more?"

"No," Nick shook his head but regretted it at once since every move made his headache even worse. He was getting dizzy and had to lean down on the soft pillows again.

Kevin frowned, "Are you cold?" The kid was shivering from chills so bad that he pulled up the bedspread over the blanket.

"A bit," Nick mumbled, closing his eyes momentarily.

"You know the doctor seemed rather concerned over you."

"He did?" Nick opened his eyes again, a bit puzzled over the information. "What did he say?"

"He kept asking me all these strange questions, especially about your eating habits." He peered at the teen to see if there was any reaction. When there were none, not even a flinch he continued, "He asked me if you have been lacking an appetite lately and if you had an upset stomach." Now he noticed a slight flinch from his friend.

"And what did you say?"

"The truth. What else?" Kevin studied Nick closely and true to his words the teen seemed nervous. Not wanting to test him anymore he continued, "I told him that you were usually eating like a wolf but that you have been having an upset stomach lately. Is that good enough?" Once again Kevin studied Nick for reactions.

A short shrug, "Whatever."

"Because that is what it is, isnīt it Kaos?" Kevin looked straight into Nick’s eyes and to his disappointment the kid shied away with his eyes. More and more the older man was coming to the fearful conclusion that his little brother was hiding something. A well hidden secret.

"Uh Huh?"

"He also asked me if you were starving yourself."

"He did?" Now Nick was fidgeting even more and living 24/7 with the guy for more than four years he had learned when something was bothering his friend or he was not telling the truth.

"Yes," he pressed on,"You have any idea why he might ask me such a question?"

"Eh...NO. Noo idea..maybe he is just a curious person." Nick tried to smile, "You know wanting to find out some information about me for his granddaughter..maybe she has a crush on me or something." The smile was becoming more and more like an grimace, mainly because he could hear how bad it sounded.

Kevin shook his head in disgust, making no further comments. Instead he watched how Nick’s eyes were fluttering from one side to the other like he always did when things were becoming too much to bear. When he had to escape from reality.

"Nick?"

"Eh.." He fidgeted again, "Uhhh..the doctor said that it looked like I was malnutru..or whatever it was called." He coughed slightly, "Sorry I donīt remember."

"Malnourished you mean?" Kevin clarifield the information.

"Yeah was it..that was the word," Nick smiled happily that Kevin had filled in the words for him.

"Nothing more then?" The older man was still pressing on the subject.

" Noo..yeah wait..he mentioned that I looked a bit dehydrated and then he put the IV in me," he held up the hand for Kevin to see, "Man do you know that it really stings when they put the needle in my hand."

Kevin nodded. This was anoter way of Nick’s to make a person change the subject but he was not going to fall for that trap. No No, not this time. Gathering up the courage to ask his friend a question that had been nagging him ever since the doctor had made it too clear for him he swallowed hard. Come to think of it, it was also a question that had been lingering around for some time now. "I have something I need to ask you."

"Ok," Nick sighed heavily, " What is it?"

This time it was Kevin’s turn to be nervous and he mentally wanted to slap himself for feeling like this. "Eh..I want you to answer this and I want you to be truthful..No Bullshitting."

Nick rolled his eyes, "Mhm..Shoot."

"Nick have you ever..." he was getting interrupted from Nick who wanted to state something and this had him putting up a hand, like a sign stopping the blonde from making a further comment, "I need to know if you are binge eating and then making yourself throw up?"

The silence that followed in the room was so deafning that you could hear a pin drop. All that was heard was Kevin’s own heartbeat pounding in his chest. He both wanted as well as didnīt want to know the answer to this question, yet it scared him too much to leave it. Just as Nick had opened his mouth to answer there was a loud signal shrilling through the room. Kevins cellphone...

69 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 69

"I canīt believe this," Brin moaned looking at the watch for the umpth time the latest hour, "We were suppose to be just shopping at the mall and now we have been in this shoe store for like 45 minutes." He drew a hand through his hair. "How hard can it be to pick out a pair of shoes?"

"Take it easy, we’re done soon," Howie said with a smile holding up a pair of black shoes, "What do you think of them?"

Brian rolled his eyes. Like he cared what the guys put on their feet? To him the pair Howie showed looked just like every other pair of shoes that was taking up space in his friend’s closet.

"You can at least pretend that youīre interested," Howie muttered.

"Well Iīm not and I really think we should leave now. Take a look outside.... the street is crowded with fans. Apparently the word has spread that we are in this store."

AJ looking up, lit up a big grin, "Yeah isnīt it awesome. Imagine all those gorgeous chicks are here just for us. Maybe we should go out and grab an ass."

"Youīre sick!" Brian schrunced up his nose in disgust.

"Nope just horney." AJ laughed and so did Howie. This caught Brian’s disgust even more, "Youīre just as bad as him."

The scene outside was bad, almost as bad as earlier in the music store. About a hundred was standing outside screaming their names, trying to get a glimpse of the famous popstars that was gracing Vienna and not a security guard in sight. Part of it the riot outside was due to that neither of the men had brought their bodyguards so they were virtually unprotected from the crowd. This was a decision that Brian wished he had never made.

How could he be so stupid to listen to AJ? What had he been thinking when he had agreed to go with the band’s two shopaholics on a round? He should have stayed at the hotel with Nick instead, maybe playing a game or two of Nintendo. Anything was better than running around in clothing stores!

To his defense he had to say that the guys had all tricked him to come along by offering to buy him lunch. And now they had been locked up in there for what seemed like eternity and judging by the amount of fans that had gathered outside they would have to sit tight until closing time or they would be crushed on the spot.

Groaning he got AJīs attention again.

"Relax man. Youīre gonna get an ulcer being that uptight." AJ grinned, "Now I see why you and Kev are cousins." The younger man got back a hard glare from Brian and he grinned even wider, "Chill out dude, life is too short to go around and worry." He patted to the seat next to him, "Come and sit down here and take it easy. Stressing is no good for the health."

Brian snorted, "No thank you!"

"Man there’s no need to be so hostile," AJ said a bit hurt over the expression of disgust his friend had showed. Ignoring Mr. Grouch he turned to his best friend, "Hey Dī Check out these beauties..ainīt they cool?" He held up a pair of brown boots. Howie nodded in approvement while Brian looked the other way.

The shoe manager was squealing with delight, "Itīs genuine Buffalo leather, the finest quality Mr. McLean."

"Good Iīll take these," AJ put the boots down in the pile of shoes he had picked out. The manager was not late in picking up the pile of shoes walking with them to the cash register. It was rarely that any celebrity came into the shop, much less someone that was buying five pair of shoes from finest quality. Suddenly AJ changed his mind, "Wait," he called out to the manager who stopped unwillingly, "Yes?"

"You donīt happend to have a smaller size off that boot? I wanna buy a pair for my girlfriend too"

"Of course Mr. McLean." The manager flashed a big smile. Costumers like this skinny man with the wierd haircut was a person that he fancied, espeically when they were had such a thick wallet.

"How much are you going to spend? Donīt you think you had enough shoes by now?" Brian placed his arms over each other in disgust. "Man you donīt have to shop up the whole paycheck in a day."

AJīs eyes grew black, "And who are you? My mother?

Howie sensed that this could end up in one of the endless mouth fights that was the guys trademark "There’s no need for fighting over a pair of shoes."

"A pair? I see five no six pair of shoes." Brian shook his head. Bone was some character. He was the person next to Nick who was very special with the exception that he had real trouble finding out who AJ really was. The more he got to be with the skinny man the more puzzled he became. He liked him yet he couldnīt understand him. Nick on the other hand was like an open book.

The feelings were mutual. Brian had always been a tough cookie for AJ to understand and since they were so different from each other they didnīt spend much time toghether. AJ thought that Brian had been so much more fun when he was dating Samantha and ever since he met that new chick Leighanne he was becoming more and more like a bore. Ok his friend could be funny at times but lately he was just moody. Peering over the top of his sun glasses AJ remarked that the Kentuckian had been standing by the door all the time, like a statue not showing any interest whatsoever in shopping.

"Are you guys done yet? Iīm starving to death,"

"Didnīt I tell you to chill out and take it easy? Itīs not like we can get out of this place anyway."

Upon hearing this Brian felt his temper being tested. "This was such an stupid idea." Turning to Howie he added, "right D'?"

Howie on the other hand shrugged. Heīd never liked coming in between any of the guys and was always doing his best to stay out of conflicts. This was no exception. "I donīt know Rok, maybe we should listen to Bone."

"Listen to him? No way! Iīm getting out of here. Howie where is your cell?"

"Here. Why?" Howie looked a bit surprised while he was handing the wanted gift to Brian. "You gonna call someone?"

"Yes, Security!"

Now AJ woke up. "What? Security? Are you out of your fucking mind?" He tried to reach the cellphone that Brian had in his hand. "Give it to me!" he demanded.

"No way...Iīm calling security since it was stupid of us to go shopping without any bodyguards with us. What were we thinking?" He looked at Howie who seemed to think the same thing.

"Yes Bone why canīt we call Tommy and the guys?"

"Because it would look so fucked up if we were to call for backup now." He shook his head, "Besides we can get always go out the backdoor."

The manager came back with the a box of boots. "Sorry but there are is no back entrance!" He sounded appologetical.

"GREAT! Then we are stuck here." Brian flared out his hands before sitting down heavily on the chair. "And it is all your fault," he pointed to AJ who looked surprised. "This was the most stupid idea that you ever thought of."

"I? Dude you have done nothing but complain and whine. Just like some freaking baby." AJ was fed up with Brians pissy attitude. "You two bitch and moan like a bunch of ladies, especially you B'rok. You should buy a bra while youīre at it!"

"Har har..you think youīre funny now?" Brian asked irritated.

"Who says Iīm joking? Man if I had known what a bunch of boring sissys you two where I would have dragged Kaos along. At least when he is around something is happening."

Howie looked a bit hurt, "You think Iīm boring too?"

"Nope," AJ grinned, patting his friend’s shoulder, " Youīre just a sissy." Howie made a face. The grin faded on the younger man’s lips when he looked at his other friend, "But you.. you use to be fun to hang around with but these days all you do is whine about everything. What has happened to you?"

"Nothing." Brian sneered, "itīs just that I have always in my life wanted to be stuck in a shoestore in a foreign country when my gut is screaming from hunger."There was major sarcasim in his voice. "Especially since getting outside I will be probably crushed to pieces."

"Well then your dream have finally come true. Congratulations." AJ could be sarcastic too.

"Knock it off you two."

"Iīm innocent." AJ defended himself, "It was Bri who started it all."

"I did not. If you hadnīt been so stupid to go away without security and if I hadnīt listened to you then we wouldnīt have been here..stuck in a freaking shoeshop."

"You had your own free will to come with me and I didnīt hear you complain before when I asked if you wanted to get out of that hell hole." He was referring to the choice of hotel his managers had choose upon them.

"I had no idea that it would be this hysterical," he waved with his hand towards the crowd outside, "Itīs suicide mission to go out there."

"Wuss."

"It doesnt get any better if we are fighting with each other," Howie tried to reason, but it was futile since he was talking at deaf ears. Brian and AJ was already engrossed in a battle of words where they were calling each other all kind of nasty things.

"This is getting stupid," AJ burst out. "Iīm getting out from this place. Dammit, itīs just a bunch of girls!"

"A bunch? I say at least 200 people and if you go outside you’re a goner!"

"Overexaggurating again are we?" AJ said with a mocking voice.

Howie sighed, this was getting more and more embarrassing and he tried to explained to the surprised manager that they had been touring for too long and it was getting on their nerves to spend 24/7 with each other, constantly. The manager nodded, looking amused over the free show that the brothers were putting up.

AJ walked over to the window peering outside. When they saw the silouette of the Backstreet Boy, the girls were screaming even louder which had AJ laughing, "Dude there is alot of people out there." He stopped and made an grimace to the girls who screamed even louder, "There are also some true babes too. Maybe I should go outside and investigate." He grinned towards Howie and Brian who looked more shocked than amused.

"Are you crazy?" they said in unison when their friend reached for the handle, unlocking the door.

AJ smiled, "Nope but I like to live dangerously." With that he stepped out to the screaming crowed and disappeared out of view.

"What are you doing?" Howie yelled after AJ who was nowhere in sight.

Brian was just as shocked, "Come back here!"

They were doing everything in their power to stop AJ from going out to the hyneas. But it was too late. The girls spotted them too and they had to close the door and hide inside the store or they would have been grounded meat too. The girl’s screams were so loud that Brian had to hold his hands over his ears. As the seconds passed and no AJ appeared he was becoming more and more frantic. Yelling to Howie, shaking his arm he said, "You gotta do something..Oh my God he will be crushed. Do something! We have to call someone..call security..call Kevin..Oh My God what are we going to do?"

Howie was just as shocked up but he was doing his best trying to stay calm. Picking up his small cell phone he dialed the number to Kevin. If there was anyone who would know what to do in a situation like this it was his older brother. Several signals were heard before a voice came booming into the phone, "Yes?" It sounded annoyed like he was getting interrupted from something important.

"Itīs me D'!"

"Howie what do you want?" Irritated tone.

"We are at a shoe store and was going to buy some shoes when Bone disappeared out in the crowd and.." Howie was talking as fast as he could as if he thought that he would get help faster that way.

"Who is we? You mean you and AJ and Brian? Calm down your talking too fast."

"No you dont understand. AJ will be getting crushed, you have to get security to come over and..." Howie was getting interrupted by Kevin who was not sounding so calm anymore. "He’s what?" There was a brief silence where Kevin is drawing in his breath, "Is Brian there? If he is, let me speak to him!"

"Here Kev wants to speak to you," Howie said handing Brian the cell. The Kentuckian shook his head in response, "NO I have to find AJ, this isnīt even funny. I have to go out there too."

"Are you nuts you’ll get killed too." Howie shouted getting an even more urgent voice from the other side of the phone. " D' get Brian for me!"

This was all a nightmare. In slowmotion Brian grabbed the cell, "Itīs me," he mumbled into the phone. Kevin had rose his voice several octaves and he was talking unusually fast to be him , "Ok give me a report what is happeníng?"

"Bone went out to the waiting crowd outside..without security and now we have lost him!"

" Lost him??" Kevin practically yelled, " You have what? Are you morons or what???"

" Itīs not my fault. He went out there and.."

" How can you be so stupid that you go out to hundreds of screaming girls? Didnīt you get enough of that at the music store earlier today?"

" Why are you screaming at me?" Now Brian was getting close to hysterical. " Iīm not that one to blame I wanted to get security but then AJ thought that I was a whimpy ass and.."

" He did WHAT??" Kevin yelled so loud that Brian feared he would break his eardrums. " Man as soon as he gets back Iīm gonna give him a fight that he never forgets!"

" Kev are you not listening?" Brian shouted into the cell, " Heīs not coming back. Heīs dead and.."

" Dead? Are you pulling my leg? Beacuse if you are Littrell itīs not funny and Iīm going to kick your ass if.." He was interupted by his cousin.

" NO! Itīs true we have to call an ambulance and.." Brian was shaking so bad that he didnīt even register when Howie was trying to get his attention. " Not now D' canīt you see Iīm talking to Kev," he snapped.

" Brian! Brian! heīs here!" Howies face lit up like a christmas street in New York on New Years eve.

" Yeah B'rok I am." AJīs voice sounded through the room and Brian turned his face to be met with the sore sight of his friend standing infront of him. Startled he dropped the cell in his hands, " Alexander is that really you?"

" Naaah dumbass, itīs a ghost. Of couse itīs me, stupid." He slapped his hand into Brians back, grinning widely., Brian took in his friends dishelved appearance. It was true, he was standing there. His shirt were torn, there were a bruise under his eye and his hair looked like it had been ripped at. There were also scratches on his cheek as well as his right ear was bleeding after someone trying to grab an earing for an souvenir. All over him were traces off lipstick too so it couldnīt have been too bad. Brian smiled. All that mattered was that he was still alive! The previous exchange with harsh words were forgotten and Brian gave his friend a really big hug causing him to back away.

" Take it easy youīre scaring me. Youīre starting to act like Nick!" He grinned. Howie laughed too, yes even the manager was happy over that everything had worked out fine. The last thing he wanted was to get bad press and somehow a popstar dying infront of the shop crushed to death wasnīt that kind of publicity he opted for.

" How did you manage to get out of there?"

" The police came and the crowed was scattered," he grinned "and then I snuck back here again.

" Oh!" Suddenly there were a sound coming from the cellphone in Brians hand.

" BRIAN WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING, ANSWER ME!!" The loud growl of his cousins voice were heard.

Shit they had completely forgot all about Kevin in the turmoil of the lost friends return. Howie was the one that picked up the phone.

" Itīs me D!"

Kevin was not a happy man, " What the fuck do you mean by leaving me hanging? What happend? Where did Brian go??"

" Sorry but AJ got back!"

" HE DID WHAT? I SWEAR IF YOU WERE DOING A PRANK ON ME IīM GOING TO KILL YOU ALL...SLOWLY!"

Howie smiled. He knew exactly how worried the older man had been and he did his best to reassure him that everything was fine and calm again. It took a while but when Kevin finally realized that everything was calm on the waterfront again he let out a deep sigh, " I swear that you guys are going to give me an hernia before this tour is over. First Nick and then AJ and.."

" Nick? What is it with Nick?" Howie asked a bit concerned, " Heīs not getting worse is he?" Both Brian and AJ stopped the talking looking at the Latino.

" What?" Brian mouthed.

" Itīs nothing...." Kevin said a bit irritated, " Now get your ass back to the hotel before something more is happening."

" Ok..we will be back soon.."

" Soon?" Kevin rose his voice again. " You better get your ass here NOW!"

" Yeah we will as soon as AJ is done with the shopping." Howies eyes glistered micheviously as he looked at both of his friends.

A loud groan could be heard in the background, " No way if you do that Iīm kicking you all out and then locking the door. Personally."

70 by Carrie_Swenglish

In a swift movement, Kevin slapped his cellphone shut. Nick heard the angry half of Kevin’s coversation and the look that clouded the older man’s green eyes was anything but happiness.

“Just when you’d think you could trust them they pull a stupid stunt like this...” Kevin muttered as he flipped the cellphone open, punching numbers. “Yeah, Marty, I guess there’s a situation at some damn mall with Brian, Howie and AJ......Oh? You know already?........What?.......oh, I see, okay then, I’ll be right there.”

Nick watched as Kevin closed the cellphone, tossing it onto the empty bed.

“Something up?”

Kevin stopped raking his hands through his hair and turned to look down at Nick laying in bed. “Oh, you could say that. I fucking cannot believe this.” Kevin stopped his conversation long enough to grab his cellphone. “We’ll take up where we left off when I get back. Sit tight and don’t do anything stupid.”

Tugging lightly at the IV line, Nick rolled his eyes. “I’m tethered, where do you think I can go?”

“Just don’t do anything stupid, alright? I really need to talk to you.”

Nick shivered as he drew the covers up to his chest. His head throbbed from the migraine but also from the tension about the questions that Kevin had been asking. He was getting too close to finding out his secret. Nick wondered how long he’d be able to keep up the charade. He was scared of Kevin finding out but he was more scared about what Lou would do if the cat was out of the bag.

Rolling onto his side, he stared at the fluids that were dripping into the tubing from the IV. Nick decided his life couldn’t suck more than it did right then and there. His thoughts drifted once again to Florida and home. He desperately wished he could be there and not in this musty smelling cheap hotel.

”So boy, I had a talk with the doctor before he left the hotel!”

Nick jumped when the door banged open and Lou Pearlman started his bellowing as he entered the room. Instead of softly closing the door, the older man slammed it shut and Nick moaned quietly.

”He seems to think you’re dehydrated and mal...”

“Please don’t shout,” Nick interrupted Pearlman in a soft whisper.

“Oh? You don’t want me shouting? Well I only shout when I’m angry and that so called doctor made me mad. He must be a quack,” Pearlman sputtered as he paced the floor. “He said you were dehydrated and then he said you were malnourished!”

Nick winced as the manager’s laughter roared.

“You of all people can’t be malnourished! Look at all that fat you have on your body!”

“I’ve lost weight,” Nick quietly defended.

“You didn’t say anything to that man about the diet did you?”

“I know enough to keep my mouth shut.”

“Well I don’t like that doctor being so snoopy. He better keep his mouth shut....”

“I think he said something to Kevin...”

”Shit! That’s all I need is Richardson nosing his way into my affairs!” The obese manager lowered his body onto the bed across from Nick’s, pulling out a blue handkerchief, mopping the sweat from his forehead. “What gave you that idea? Did Richardson say anything to you?”

“He was sorta fishing but I didn’t say anything...I know not to talk.”

The manager had a look of relief wash over his sweaty face. “That’s good. You know what to do then if he asks. I’m depending on this because if anyone finds out about our little secret, I mean anyone, your career is over.”

“I know.”

“As for this nonsense of bed restrictions for two weeks, that man is definately a quack. I have bills to pay and I won’t get them paid with you laying on your ass growing fatter each passing day.”

“But he said I was dehydrated and running a fever and I passed out...”

“Bullshit! You’re a faker and he just doesn’t realize that. You passed out because of the room being warm.” Pearlman paused, his eyes glaring at the IV. “And another thing, this business of you laying low is just bull. You’ll be up and about and act like there’s nothing wrong with you, because that’s the truth. There is nothing wrong with you.”

Standing up, Pearlman leaned over Nick, patting the side of the young man’s face lightly. “Sleep tonight because tomorrow you have work to do.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“How can you guys be any dumber?” Kevin grumbled when Howie, AJ and Brian entered the safety of the hotel lobby after being saved from the bodyguards at the mall. “To go out without any bodyguards is beyond suicidal!”

“It wasn’t my idea, AJ said it would be fine,” Brian defended quietly.

“Oh, AJ said it would be fine?” Kevin mocked. “When did you start listening to Bone? He has the mentality of a housefly.”

”Hey!” AJ growled.

“Well, did you even think that maybe, just maybe you’d find yourselves caught up in a crowd? Didn’t you learn your lesson when you saw poor Nick nearly crushed when he was pushed into the side of that bus and that if you remember was because there were no bodyguards around?”

“Well, we’re not Nick are we? Besides, we’re in this for the fans,” AJ defended as he folded his arms over his chest.

“You’re just being assinine....all of you are! Howie, I thought you had more common sense than this!”

“I blame it on lapse of good judgement,” Howie replied.

“Well that’s something I agree with. Okay since I can’t trust any of you guys from not finding yourselves in more trouble, I want you to go to your rooms and go to bed.” Kevin grabbed AJ’s arm when he started to walk away. “You and I are going to spend the night with Nick.”

“What the fuck for? I finally have a room to myself for a change,” AJ rasped.

“Do you think I’m going to let you out of my sight for a moment? I’m not that stupid! As for you two, I wouldn’t laugh too much because if Lou gets wind of this, you’ll wish you had died at that mall.”

“Why do we have to spend the night with Kaos?” AJ protested as he followed Kevin down the hall toward the hotel room.

“He’s sick and he can’t be left alone.”

“God, not this again,” AJ moaned. “He’s always sick. He just fainted at the record store, no big deal.”

“He’s dehydrated and he’s running a temp, do you remember how hot he felt?”

“And people agree that you’re gay, did you know that Kevin?”

“Just shut up and get into the room!”

AJ dragged his feet by the door. “Just like that? What about my stuff?”

“Do you think I’m gonna let you out of my sight tonight? I’ll send for it, just get your butt in the room!”

”THIS IS BULLSHIT KEVIN!”

When Kevin quickly clamped a hand over AJ’s mouth, a tattooed arm flung up in denfense, prying the hand away.

”WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT FOR?”

“S-h-h-h-h, Nicky’s sleeping,” Kevin admonished.

“I don’t give a flying fuck what Nicky’s doing! This is bullshit!” AJ glared over towards the bed and his eyes narrowed when he saw the IV pole. “What the hell is he getting that for?”

“Would you be a little kinder? I told you he’s sick.”

AJ threw his body down onto the empty bed. “That little freak is a faker and we both know it!”

Nick raised himself up to look over at AJ. “Can you please talk softer?”

“Softer my hairy ass, you’re such a fucking faker!”

”AJ! Knock it off!”

“God Kev, I can’t believe you’re eating up his bullshit, he’s a puss.”

“Puss or not, he’s sick.”

“Excuse me, I’m still here people!” Nick groaned, laying a pillow over his head.

“What the fuck ever. So are you gonna get my gear or can I go?”

“You’re not going anywhere. Sit tight and don’t cause more trouble, I’ll be back in a minute. Nick do you want anything?”

“Can I have some water, I’m thirsty,” Nick’ voice cracked.

Kevin looked at AJ and motioned with his head toward the bathroom. “Sure you can, AJ’ll get it for you.”

“I’m not this freak’s nurse, he can get it himself,” AJ mumbled.

Kevin shook his head as he turned to walk into the bathroom. “God, you have no compassion, I swear.” He returned with the requested water, helping Nick sit up. “You better hope that someday you don’t need my help because I would have a really hard time dealing with you. If I were Nick I would feel the same way.”

AJ threw his hands up. “I swear you baby that kid too much.”

“He can’t help it if he’s sick, alright? He’s had a hard time with this tour---”

“We’ve all had a hard time on this tour, it’s just dumbass always gets the luck with faking his headaches or stomach aches or some lame ass shit and people cater to him. I’m sick of his crap.”

Kevin opened his mouth to reprimand AJ but changed his mind as he heard Nick gulping down the water like someone that was dying of thirst. “Easy there Nick, go slow.....take your time.”

“Oh for chrissake,” AJ muttered.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“To my own goddamn room.”

“Sit down!” Kevin thundered.

AJ sulked as he leaned back down ontop of the bed. As he leaned against the headboard, a firm knock sounded from the door.

“Go answer that.”

“God, AJ sit down....AJ go get Nick water....AJ stay here......AJ go get that! I’m not your butler!” AJ mumbled as he walked to the door, flinging it open.

“Hello, I am Dr. Waldorfen, I’m here to see the young boy that is sick.” He lowered the glasses that were perched on his nose, eyeing the tattoos that adorned AJ’s arms.

Kevin approached the open doorway, extending his hand out in greeting and brushing AJ aside as he approached. “Hello doctor.”

A smile of recognition washed over the older man’s face. “Ah...yes, Nickolas’s brother. How is the boy doing?”

Kevin igorned the look of disgust on AJ’s face as he escorted the doctor into the hotel room. “Nick’s doing much better. I’m hoping his fever is down, he looks better to me.”

“That’s cause he’s not sick,” AJ mumbled, slamming the door closed.

“What was that son?”

Kevin directed a quick hard glare at AJ before grinning nervously at the physician. “Ah, you’ll have to excuse AJ, he’s a little slow.”

The doctor set his black bag on the bed next to his patient. “How are you feeling, Nickolas?”

Nick shifted in the bed, looking up warily at the doctor. “Um, I dunno, I guess better?”

The doctor smiled at his patient’s response. “It sounds more like a guess than a statement.” He patted Nick’s leg. “You’ll feel as good as new tomorrow morning. That IV should make have rehydrated you and you just have to be mindful about drinking more fluids.”

Nick nodded his understanding to the doctor as he watched the older man pull out gauze bandages and white medical tape.

“I’m going to take your IV out.....there we go,” the doctor paused as he placed the gauze and tape across Nick’s hand. “Just remember to rest for the next several days, drink plenty of water, nothing strenuous and I guarentee you’ll be feeling in top shape in no time.”

“Oh for the love of....”

Kevin shot an angry glare in AJ’s direction as he quickly interrupted him and rushed up to the doctor. “Thank you Dr. Waldorfen, I’ll make sure he follows your advice.”

“Very good. Thank you.” The old man paused, looking at his young patient before closing the black medical bag. “It’s very important that you follow up with your family doctor when you arrive back in America.”

Pasting a thin smile on his face, Nick nodded. “Sure.”

The doctor smiled and offered his hand for Nick to shake, which he took with a weak grip. The doctor then shook Kevin’s hand and as he turned toward AJ, he noticed that the tattooed young man had conveniently tucked his hands under his arms and only gave a slight nod.

“Very well then, you know how to contact me if you need me.”

“I’ll get right on that,” AJ mumbled under his breath as he watched the physician make his way toward the door.

Nick shifted nervously in the bed when Kevin and the doctor left the hotel room. He could feel AJ’s piercing glare on him. Sighing, he turned to look at his brother that occupied the bed next to his.

”What?” Nick snapped.

“You’re a piece of work Carter, I gotta hand it to you,” AJ mused.

“Huh?”

“I mean you not only got Kevin fooled but you even got the doctor convinced you’re sick.”

”That’s because I am sick, asshole,” Nick hissed, placing a pillow over his head.

“Yeah.......whatever,” AJ mumbled as he stuck his middle finger at Nick’s pillow. “I’m fuckin’ babysitting someone’s fake sick ass and I could be out clubbin’ with D......man, this sucks!”

“Mmmmumphmmmupmmmu!”

“What the fuck did you say?”

Nick angrily pulled the pillow away from his face. “I said, you don’t have to babysit me, I’ll be just fine without your sarcastic attitude staring at me all goddamned night. Just get the hell outta here and leave me alone!”

“Okay, I will,” AJ growled, hopping off the bed, stomping toward the door, only to be met by Kevin, walking in with AJ’s luggage.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Out!”

“Like hell you are,” Kevin growled, heaving the bag into AJ’s chest. “Here, get your jammies on and brush your teeth.”

“Jammies? What the fuck...”

“Sleep in your boxers, I don’t give a rats ass, but just so you know, that bed over there is mine.”

“Where the hell do I sleep then?”

“Bathtub..... a set of chairs ..... the floor...... Nick’s bed....anyplace but in my bed!”

“I ain’t sleeping with mista sickly..”

“I thought you said I was faking it!”

“You are!”

“Am not!”

“Are so!”

“Oh for the love of God! J pick a place and shut your mouth!”

AJ sputtered as he walked into the bathroom and was still mumbling when he walked out. He smirked as he stood beside Nick’s bed.

“Move over wart hog and give me some space!”

Nick slowly rolled onto his side. “Just don’t move around so much, please?”

AJ threw the covers back before he slid into bed. “Yeah, sure thing and stay the hell on your own goddamned side for a change.”

”Goodnight asshole, Nick softly whispered.

“Yeah, goodnight Nick,” AJ groaned, pulling the covers toward his side of the bed. Nick tried to pull them back on his side but any type of movement made him ache so he reluctantly accepted the fact that he no longer had all the blankets and instead curled his body in a protective ball as he closed his eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AJ woke up suddenly from a fitful sleep. His sheets were soaked and his first instinct was urine....Although it was dark in the room, he turned his head and narrowed his eyes in the direction of Nick’s body.

Reaching out with a hand, he laid it on Nick’s shoulder, with the intention of waking his sleeping brother. Once his skin made contact with Nick’s he quickly changed his mind.

”God.... you’re burning up!” AJ whispered, moving his hand from Nick’s shoulder, he tried to find the boy’s forehead, accidentally waking him. “Awww Nicky, shhhh, go back to sleep,” AJ soothed.

”Ma-mi-my head fa-feels like it’s gonna explode,” Nick muttered quietly. ”I-I’m so thirsty......what time is it?”

”Shhhh, I’ll get you some, it’s still night buddy,” came the quiet answer as AJ quickly tossed his covers back.

As AJ turned the light on in the bathroom, Kevin leaned up squinting at the clock on the night stand. “AJ?”

“I’m getting Nicky some water, he said he was thirsty, I got it, go back to sleep.”

Clearing his throat, Kevin turned away from the light and adjusted the covers.

“Nicky, what are you doing? I told you I’d get you the water,” AJ said when he turned and saw Nick slowly getting out of bed.

”I-I hafta pee.”

Setting the glass down on the table AJ sighed impatiently. “Well if I knew you were getting up, I could have stayed in.....Judas, Nick, are you okay?”

Hearing the tone of AJ’s voice and the dull thud on the floor, Kevin sat up quickly in bed and found Nick sitting on the floor beside the bed, a blank expression on his face. “What the hell happened?” he demanded.

“I got him Kev, just chill man,” AJ announced with authority as he hurried over to help his brother to his feet.

”S-sorry,” Nick apologized sheepishly.

“What the hell happened?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. ”I dunno.”

“He was starting to walk toward the bathroom and then it looked like he was trying to sit back down again. He might have been sleepwalking, I don’t know, but Kev, he really is sick he’s burning up!”

Kevin threw the blankets off his bed as he started to move over to the pale blonde. “That’s what I’ve been telling you all night...... God, Nick you are hot,” Kevin remarked after he placed a hand on Nick’s forehead.

”I gotta pee,” Nick mumbled.

“Easy there, just take it slow,” Kevin advised as he took Nick’s arm. “Are you okay?”

“He said he had to pee, God, don’t make such a federal case over it,” AJ mumbled, feeling pushed away from offering Nick help.

Kevin shot a look in AJ’s direction as he helped Nick slowly make his way toward the bathroom.

“Nicky, do you hurt?”

“Why are you asking him that? He said he has to go to the bathroom,” Kevin sputtered.

“He’s walking all hunched over, that’s all.....can’t you tell?”

Kevin glanced over at his young brother. “Nick?”

Nick stopped short of the bathroom. ”Is this a scary ride?”

“What are you talking about?” AJ rasped.

“Nicky? Snap out of it, you’re almost to the bathroom,” Kevin softly encouraged.

”Huh...oh yeah, sorry,” Nick whispered.

“I don’t know if I like the way he’s acting Kev, it’s almost like he’s out of it or something......we should check his temperature, I think it’s too high.”

Kevin closed the door part way to give Nick some privacy. “I agree he has a fever, but you know how disoriented he can be when he’s been sleeping. Besides, when did you suddenly start caring?”

AJ’s expression soured. “I’ve always cared!”

“Well you have a funny way of showing it!”

As AJ opened his mouth to reply, Nick stumbled out of the bathroom, intent on climbing back into the bed.

“Nick....let me help you,” AJ offered.

Nick waved AJ off, slowly climbing back into the bed.

“Hey, you better drink some water and maybe take some Tylenol for your fever,” AJ suggested.

Nick accepted the water, drinking it down without stopping for air.

“Wow.... you musta been pretty thirsty,” AJ pointed out.

Drawing the covers up to his neck, Nick shivered. ”I’m freezing.”

Kevin appeared with a fresh glass of water and two pills in the palm of his hand. “Here Nicky, take this.”

“No thanks.”

“It’s not an offer, it’s a request!”

Reluctantly, Nick sat up and quickly washed the pills down with a full glass of water.

“There...good boy, remember the doctor said you need to drink plenty of water,” Kevin praised. Pulling the blankets back over Nick, he smiled, obviously pleased with his parental instincts. He felt as if he was doing the right thing by following the doctor’s advice with pushing the water on Nick. Little did he know it was one of the worst things that he could possibly be doing.......

71 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 71 Perfection - Chapter 71

Laying completely still in his bed, Nick didn’t bother to remove the pillow that he had laid over his head. Last night’s events were a complete blur to him and he didn’t know why his body ached so much. The other thing Nick had a hard time recalling was why AJ was not only in his hotel room, but why he was sleeping in bed with him.

Things were slowly coming back to him - he remembered a doctor giving him an IV after Lou Pearlman insisted that he be checked over after he fainted in the record store. He also remembered the doctor telling him that he was dehydrated and mal something or other.

But why was AJ here?

“Rise and shine guys,” Kevin cheerily sing-songed.

“Fuck you,” came the reply from AJ’s side of the bed.

“Nick, are you awake?”

Hearing Kevin’s voice, Nick groaned. He felt the pillow move and he quickly grabbed it. “Let me sleep in today, okay? I don’t wanna get up!”

Kevin won the tug of war on the pillow and Nick squinted when his eyes came in contact with the sunlight that was streaming through the window. Kevin automatically tried to place his hand on Nick’s forehead, but the blonde quickly shifted to avoid contact.

“What are you doing?”

“Hold still, I need to see if you still have a fever.”

Fever? Okay, that explains why last night was fuzzy, Nick decided.

“I feel fine,” he protested.

“You soaked the bed last night and I thought you peed or something,” AJ annnounced with a grumble as he slowly sat up.

“I don’t wet the bed!”

“Yeah, sure Kaos,” AJ grinned. “Kev, why the hell did you get us up so damned early?”

“Lou called and said we needed to be downstairs this morning at 9:00 for a breakfast meeting.”

“Kaos is suppose to be resting, not working and I’ve decided I’d stay with him in case he needs anything,” AJ rasped.

“Well Lou thinks that’s bullshit and God knows I’ve tried to tell him.”

“Hello..... I’m in the room guys,” Nick piped up.

“How are you feeling this morning?”

“Wait a minute, I want to know why you’ve decided to be so nice to me all of a sudden,” Nick asked as he watched AJ dig through the clothes in his suitcase.

“I’m always nice to you kid,” AJ defended.

“No you’re not... you always say I fake being sick, I remember you saying that!”

“I do not..”

“Do too..”

“Do not!”

”Guys knock it off!”

Nick folded his arms across his chest. “Well he does, you know..”

“You were really sick last night Nick, and you had a huge fever and stuff and as much as I hate to admit it, I was worried about you...”

Nick’s mouth dropped open as he listened to AJ’s voice full of sincerity.

“Honest?”

“Honest..... you were acting really weird last night.”

“I don’t remember anything about it,” Nick admitted.

“How are you feeling this morning?”

Nick thought for a moment before he answered. “Um, I feel kinda achey but other than that I guess fine.”

“You probably got one hell of a flu bug or something,” AJ decided.

“I guess,” Nick agreed.

“Okay, well I’m going to go down the hall and make sure Brian and Howie are getting ready. No screwing around you guys, Pearlman is already on the war path for some reason so let’s not give him anything more to get pissed about, okay?”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick drank three glasses of orange juice and two bottles of water while Lou Pearlman and Johnny Wright went over the expectations for the remainder of the tour. When breakfast was finally served, instead of lifting his fork, Nick walked over to the buffet table and helped himself to another bottle of mineral water.

“Where’s your plate, boy?” Pearlman growled when Nick returned to his seat.

“I’m not hungry.”

Pearlman glared at Nick, and his face immediately flushed from embarrassment when the attention was drawn toward him. “Yes you are, you have a busy day ahead of you, or weren’t you paying attention to the agenda?”

“Um, yeah I was...”

“Well you need to eat, remember what the doctor said to you?”

“That I needed to drink more fluids, yeah I remember that,” Nick stated.

“Nick was really sick last night, can’t you back off?” AJ defended.

“Mind your own business McLean,” the manager growled.

“I’m just saying---”

The manager quickly cut AJ off, threatening him. “You’re going to say nothing more if you know what’s good for you!” His glare softened as he directed his attention back to the young blonde. “Now, remember what the doctor said to you, you’re malnourished so you need to eat.”

Brian and Howie’s mouths dropped open.

“Malnourished? Nick? You’ve got to be kidding me, Nick’s anything but malnourished,” Brian stated.

“Thanks for at least not saying I’m fat,” Nick mumbled, his face a deep shade of crimson.

“No...Nick, no I’m not saying you’re fat, I’m just saying you’re not like a starving Etheopean, you know?”

Pushing himself back from the table, Nick slowly stood up. “Yeah, just skip it, I know what you meant.”

“That’s a good boy,” Pearlman praised as he watched Nick trudge over to the buffet table.

With his back to the crowd, Nick was grateful that they couldn’t see the tears that pooled in his eyes. The tears sprung up from the accusations that he was fat but also from the pain his body was having. Every joint was aching and he wished he could lay down. But as long as he was under the manager’s watchful eye, he would be doing nothing but work, pleasing him and the sponsors.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Hey, kid..... you, the blonde one, sit up straighter!”

Frowning, Nick stiffened in his seat. “S-sorry, didn’t know I was.”

The photo shoot was dragging and Nick’s mind was anywhere but there. His body hurt and they had been sitting in front of a castle with green hills in the background for over three hours. The photo shoot was a publicity stunt for tourism in the country and Nick for one, could have cared less where the shoot was, he just wished it was overwith.

The photographer had been anything but pleasant up to this point and Nick felt as if the man hated him for some reason. His suspicions were quickly answered when the man pulled the camera off, handing it over to his assistant.

“Taking a ten minute break, you better go do something because you obviously can’t sit still!”

Nick wanted to shrink under the stool he was sitting on when the man pointed a finger at him and shouted. He couldn’t help that he hurt but he also couldn’t help that he had been drinking water like a camel storing up for a long journey across a desert.

A cluster of young girls stood in front of the only access to a restroom that Nick tried to enter.

“Can I have a picture with you?”

“Can I have your autograph?”

“I want to hug you? Can I hug you?”

Pasting his “show face” Nick smiled at the group of adoring fans and did as they requested, all the time his bladder was screaming for relief. After five minutes of unbearable picture taking and autograph signing, Nick finally had to stop.

“I’m sorry, but I really have to go do something before my break is over..”

The girls cried out with disappointment when Nick handed a pad of paper and a pen back to a young girl. He managed a quick wink and a promise that he would be back in a few minutes.

Nick was happy when he found the restroom vacant and he wasted no time hurrying to the urinal. Although his bladder felt like it would burst, he found himself straining to empty it. After a few moments, he was rewarded but gasped when he noticed that there was once again blood tinging the stream of urine.

“God, not this again,” he softly moaned when he flushed. ‘It’s probably from the flu.’ Nick mentally decided.

Moving over to the sink, he held his hands under the warm water, noticing that his knuckles seemed to be stiff and a little puffy looking. Dismissing the feelings, he quickly pulled a paper towel from the dispenser and wiped his hands.

“It’s about time!”

Nick groaned inwardly when the photographer yelled when he left the building. For some reason, this man didn’t seem to care for him much and Nick couldn’t figure out why. All he knew was that he was being singled out and tortured when he felt like shit and wanted to be anyplace but here.

“I guess I better take the shoot of you by yourself right now before my mood gets dark.”

“Like it isn’t already,” Nick mumbled.

“What did you just say?”

“N-nevermind...Let’s just get this overwith, please.”

The rest of the men stood off to the side while Nick had his turn with the photographer. Kevin could see that Nick clearly wasn’t feeling up to par by the way he sitting. He was concerned that the flu bug was getting the best of him and mentally cursed Lou Pearlman for being so strict and hard on the young boy. He never understood why he treated Nick the way he did and wished there was some way they could get rid of the obese manager and even Johnny Wright for that matter.

As if his mind was being read, Johnny Wright showed up at the photo shoot, unannounced. “Looking good, you boys are doing a wonderful job.”

AJ rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

Johnny ignored AJ’s movements, looking over toward Howie, smiling as he watched the Latino charm the young fans that were busy snapping pictures and thrusting pads of paper at him.

The manager pulled a cigarette out of the pack in his shirt pocket, quickly taking a deep drag from it after he lit it. “Howie seems to enjoy the attention, don’t you think?”

AJ inhaled the smoke hungrily, grumbling, “When is this goddamn thing going to end?”

“Shhhh, don’t talk too loud, those fans can’t hear your foul mouth and you know that,” Johnny reprimanded.

“I need a smoke.”

“Backstreet Boys don’t smoke....”

“Yeah..yeah....yeah I know, we don’t smoke, drink or do drugs, but I do and I want to right now. This photo session is assinine.”

“Yeah, about this photo session, did you notice that Nick’s color isn’t too good?” Kevin pointed out.

Johnny looked over at the youngest member of the group. “Well, he kinda looks a little pale, do you think they did a bad job with the makeup?”

“Gosh, we’re not talking about makeup Johnny, we’re talking about Nicky being sick,” Brian sighed.

Johnny straightened his stance, taking another slow drag from his cigarette. “Well, you know Nick, he’s always one bug or another.”

“Yeah, well, you weren’t up with him half the night last night were you?” Kevin questioned.

“Yeah, both of us were,” AJ added.

“I thought you had your own rooms?”

“Um, yeah well we did, but Brian and Howie bunked together and I stuck around with Kevin to help him out with Nicky,” AJ lied.

The dark manager nodded as he took in the explanation. “I see.....well, you know that you’re not suppose to change room assignments, that’s rule number one...”

“Well, I change the rules when I see fit,” Kevin defended.

The manager flicked the cigarette butt between his thumb and forefinger to the ground, squashing it with the hell of his foot when it landed. “From now on, don’t make any changes without consulting me or Mr. Pearlman.”

“Did Pearlman tell you how sick Nick is?” Kevin challenged.

Johnny thrust his hands into his coat pockets. “Yes he did, he told me that Nick is malnourished.”

“C’mon, you don’t believe that bullshit, do you?” AJ agrued.

The manager visibly flinched. “I’d mind my own business if I were you. You better get this shoot done, you have a concert to do tonight.” No more words were exchanged as Johnny turned and walked away.

“Good God, it’s Lou Freaken Pearlman Junior,” AJ muttered.

“What the heck has gotten into Johnny?” Brian asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Kev, he used to be our friends but now he acts almost like he’s scared of someone or something...it’s like he’s trying to hide something.”

“I dunno Bri.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Seriously Nick, I’ve never seen you down so much water in your life,” Howie quipped as he watched his brother finish off another bottle.

“I’m suppose to do that,” Nick defended his actions.

“Well just remember we go on in about 40 minutes it wouldn’t look too good if you had to leave the stage to pee,” Kevin advised.

“Yeah that or hold your crotch,” AJ laughed.

Nick scowled. “I think you do that already, thank you.”

”Hold your crotch?! What the fuck!”

Nick’s face turned bright red when he realized what he had said and also when everyone in the room started to howl with laughter.

“Skip that, it came out wrong.”

“Regardless Nick, you better go use the john before we have to go,” Kevin instructed.

“Geeze, I’m not a baby!”

“I never said you were, just go okay?”

Nick sulked as he trudge toward the bathroom. He hated how the guys were always treating him like a baby and he was sick of Kevin’s parental attitude 90% of the time...even if he was right 95% of the time.

Staring at his face in the mirror, Nick stuck his tongue out at his reflection. “God Carter, you’re such a wuss.”

He gazed at his face a few moments longer and noticed that his eyes looked “funny” to him for some reason. Nick couldn’t put a finger on what it was, but something looked like it was missing. His back was starting to hurt a little more than what it did this morning when he woke up, but being the preformer he was, he masked his feelings as best as he could. He knew that it didn’t matter that he felt like shit, Lou Pearlman would make sure he was onstage until his last breath was drawn.

Turning his attention to what he came into the bathroom for, once again Nick found it a struggle to empty his bladder.

“God, it’s not like I haven’t drank all damn day long,” he muttered as he waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Once again he was finally rewarded but the outcome seemed to be far less than the way he felt. Again the urine had a slight reddish tinge to it and his back hurt more after his attempts to empty his bladder.

“God, I must be falling apart,” Nick sighed.

“Dumbass, did you take a dump?” AJ rasped when Nick came back into the greenroom.

“Huh?”

“You were in there for about a half an hour, I figured you probably fell in the toilet or something.”

“None of your business what I do in the bathroom, okay?” Nick snapped as he gingerly sat down on the couch.

’Was I in there that long?’ Nick wondered. He looked over at AJ who met his gaze with a wide smile and his eyes twinkling over the tops of his sunglasses. “You’re an asshole.”

“Better an asshole than a dumbass,” he countered.

”KNOCK IT OFF YOU TWO!

Nick flipped AJ off after Kevin yelled at them to quiet down. He didn’t flinch when the sound tech came and made final adjustments to his head mic, but leaned back to ease the pain in his body.

“Alright guys, five minutes,” the stage tech announced as he knocked on the door.

Groaning, Nick slowly stood up and walked out in the hall with Brian stepping into place alongside him.

“Are you feeling alright Nicky?”

Running a hand over his face, Nick only nodded his reply.

“I can tell you don’t feel good, I can see it in you....”

“I’ll be okay, don’t worry.” He sighed before quietly adding, “God, just get me through this show.”

72 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 72

"Three more shows and then Iīm outta here. Kissing Europe goodbye!" AJ said with a wide grin as he slouched down on the couch at the venue. "God it’s gonna feel so good to finally be able to sleep in my own bed, with my lady at my side."

"That sounds like a plan," Brian nodded, being much too busy to get out of his stage costume so he could jump into the shower to really listen to what his friend was saying.

Howie, however, agreed, "Yeah that will be nice. Man this tour has been really stressful." He took a large swig from the cold water bottle before asking, "What are you guys going to do when we have downtime?" He was refering to the two weeks off that they had before going into the studio to record some new tracks and shooting a video.

Brian was the first to answer, "Iīm going to see Leigh," he said with a wide grin accompanied by a dreamy look in his eyes. "I really miss her."

"Like we didnīt know that," Howie chuckled getting an irritated glance back."Ok what are you going to do besides that?"

AJ was the one to answer the question, "Nothing. Brian has no other life."

"I do too," the older man defended himself against the false accusation, "Iīm going to shoot some hoops, be with my family and maybe hang with some friends."

"What did I tell you?" AJ said in triumph, "he doesnīt have a life!"

Now Brian was getting upset, "Like youīre the one to talk," he growled, trying to hit AJ in his head with his plastic bottle but not succeeding since the skinny man ducked away from the beatings.

"Ok kids..knock it off." Kevin was butting into the fight, "Try at least to act the age you are and not some freaking five year old!"

Both Brian and AJ turned back with a sour look, yet they said nothing as Kevin added, "Hey have any of you guys seen Nick?"

"No."

"Ok..hrm..strange," the older member muttered as he turned towards Howie, "What did you say?"

Howie repeated himself since he had been talking to deaf ears, "And you Kev, what are you going to do when we are off?"

"Me? Oh I donīt know. Probably go out with Kristin and then maybe go to some ball game." He yawned suddenly, "Do you guys mind if I hit the shower first? You know since we are going to ride the bus all night."

Howie couldnīt help but groan at the comment. Whenever he had tried to ask or talk something personal with Kevin he was met with an invisible resistance. It was like his private life remained private and Kevin was not someone that would spill his guts about his problems nor his thoughts to just anyone. Often his conversation was carefully planned which sometimes led to him being too tight for the rest of the group. Either that or too serious.

"No go ahead...Iīm coming with you," Brian announced getting up to follow his cousin out of the room, "Do you mind if I borrow your shampoo since I left mine on the bus?"

"Nah itīs ok," Kevin opened the door and Brian followed after him as they both left the room.

"There they go," AJ exclaimed, looking at the door that closed after them then he turned back to Howie and asked, "You havenīt asked me what Iīm gonna do. Donīt you wanna know?"

"No...not really," Howie was being honest but when he saw the pouting face his friend made he changed his mind, "Ok what are you gonna do then?" He knew AJ well enough to know what he would say so he just waited for the words to be said.

"Iīm going to go to a museum and then Iīm going to the library," AJ said looking dead serious.

For a brief moment Howie could see some hope and he said hesitantly, "Really?"

"Yes," AJ nodded before breaking out in a large grin, "Hell no! Iīm gonna fuck and sleep!"

Howie groaned loudly. "I knew it!"

"Then why did you ask?" AJ retrorted.

"Because you told me to," Howie sighed, silently wondering why he was getting into such a stupid conversation. This was generally a thing he did with Nick, not with AJ. That last thought reminded him that something was missing in the room. Nick!

AJ was muttering something when Howie interrupted him, "Hey did you see Nick?"

"No!"

"You havent?"

"Not since the show..Why?"

Howie felt suddenly irritated at AJīs carefree attitude. "Donīt you think itīs a little bit strange that we havenīt seen Kaos since then?" He looked at the skinny man who shrugged back.

"No..not really. Itīs peaceful. Beside Iīm sure that Kaos can take care of himself. Heīs not a baby you know." the skinny man said, adding, "Even if he often acts like one."

"Bone, that wasnīt nice," Howie scolded. "So you really have no idea where Nick is then?"

"No..I said so didnīt I?" AJ stopped briefly, "and to tell you the truth I donīt care either..itīs actually pretty nice without him whining and bitching about everything."

"You donīt mean that."

"Yes I do."

"That wasn’t what I heard about you yesterday."

"That was different. Then he was sick, now he is just whiny."

"AJ!!!" Howie shook his head at his friend, "Nick would be sad if he heard you."

"But he isnīt here is he?" AJ said with a sigh, "Ok If you gonna keep on talking about Kaos all the time I might as well go and join the others in the shower." Picking up his towel, carelessly throwing it over his shoulder he walked out off the room.

"No wait!" Howie called back.

"What?" AJ frowned, "What do you want?"

"You have no idea then where he could be?"

"No..I told you didnīt I? Jeeze D' you really know how to bug someone." AJ felt irritated. God Howie could be so slow sometimes. "Heīs maybe in the can or something..how should I know?."

"I wouldnīt think so," Howie added with a frown, "You know we are talking about Kaos. The one and only that needs someone by his side whenever he have to go to the restroom." It was true. Nick was so desperate when it came to being alone that he would drag any of the guys with him when he had to go to a public restroom, sometimes even at home too. He was like a girl or a small kid in that way.

"Then I donīt know..Damn D' if youīre that worried you have to search for him youself. Anyway Iīm off now..see ya in a few." With that he left the room too.

While the others had left Howie still remained seated. The more he thought about Nick missing the more worried he became. Hadnīt Brian told him that Nick wasn’t looking well at all? And didnīt Kevin tell them to keep an extra eye on their friend? Howie often had a sixth sense when it came to his "brothers" and now that sense was kicking into overdrive. With a sigh he intended to find Nick simce this was not like his little brother to be missing.

Sticking his head out the door, he found that the hall was practically empty if you didnīt count the two broadshouldered bodyguards standing on each side of the hallway so no tresspassing people or screaming and hysterical fans could enter the premises. Seeing Nick and Brian’s bodyguard Jim standing a bit away he called out for the black man, "Jim!"

"Yes?" The man turned around and frowned when he saw Howie in the door opening, "Is something wrong?"

"No," Howie shook his head, "Itīs just that Iīm wondering if you know where Nick is? I canīt seem to find him since the concert."

"He went into the restroom, but I thought he had come out from there by now."

"The restroom? Was he alone?" There was doubt in Howie’s voice.

"As far as I know, but I’ll check it out for sure. Ok?" With that he opened the door to the restroom further down the hall, sticking his head in to scan the room. Meanwhile Howie waited patiently hoping that Nick had taken his refuge in the restroom like he did ever so often when he wanted to be alone for a while. Even if Howie thought there were better places to hideout in than the mens room. Just when he was about to go back inside again he heard Jim calling back, "No need to worry..heīs in here. And he is all alone," the bodyguard added with a chuckle

"Ok thanks," Howie breathed a sigh of relief and grinned thankfully towards the bodyguard who responded with a "No problem." The moment he was alone in the dressing room again disturbing thoughts kept popping up in his head. What was Nick doing for almost an hour in the venue restroom? Right after doing a show? Even if he didnīt want to think of it, the word ‘drugs’ crossed his mind. And the disturbing memory of Nick binge eating and then throwing up reminded him painfully about the stress that the young man was experiencing. He hoped that nothing bad had happened to send Nick over the edge. Whatever it was, Howie was more determinded than ever to find out what was wrong.

**************************************************************** ********************************************

Nick let out a long and loud groan as he looked at the reflection of himself in the mirror. He looked like sheer and utter crap but that was nothing compared to what he felt like. He could swear that the pale face staring back at him was starting to look a bit bloated again and he wanted to slam his fist into the mirror. Shattering it all into thousand of pieces. It was clear that he was starting to gain weight, how, he had no idea since he barely ate anything anymore and it seemed like ages since he had one of those dreadful eating binges too. He had lived on nothing but Lou’s special flu drink and those disgusting diet pills for weeks now and still he looked as bloated as a pregnant woman. It made him sick to his stomach as well as sent tears to his eyes.

It didnīt help that he had difficulty to pee too even if he had downed liters of water the whole day due to the dehydration that the doctor had said that he was suffering from. To his dispair he found that he was having a hard time peeing too and there was still a slightly red tint in his urine.

Shit he was still peeing blood!

He knew that it was not a good sign still he tried to do his best to figure out where that blood could have come from. After all he hadnīt hurt his kidneys anymore and when he went to a doctors checkup a couple of weeks earlier he had been told that he was healing nicely and that there was nothing to be concerned about. Now however he didnīt know.

Maybe he should go and talk to Kevin or Brian and tell them about the blood in the urine to hear what their opinions would be, but judging from the way Kevin was guarding him these days he knew that all he would do was upset his friend and that wasn’t something they needed right now. They were in the process of ending the tour and in less than four days he would be on a plane back to the states and then when he could talk to his mom and his family doctor. Besides he had read somewhere that when you had the flu there could be cases when you could bleed a bit from the urine without it being serious at all. Especially if you had been dehydrated.

But ironically he didnīt think he was that dehydrated at all since all he did was drink plenty of water. Where all the water went was beyond him since he really had difficulties with urinating, almost like an old man.

"What a great life you have Carter," he muttered splashing his face with water. "Jeeze I wonder how many people that would like to trade places with you right now." There was sarcasim in his words since he really thought that life sucked at that moment. Suddenly he heard the door open which had him tense. Was one of the guys coming to look for him? According to his calculations they should all be wrapped up with the after talk in the dressing room. Relieved, he notice that it was his bodyguard Jim that came to ask if everything was allright.

"There you are," Jim grinned, "Howie was wondering where you went. "

Shit! Howie was searching for him? How long had he been inside the restroom?

Jim frowned, "Are you allright?"

"Ye..yeah why wouldnīt I be?" Nick asked doing his best to sound surprised.

"Just wondering..you know you have been in here quite awhile."

"Well I had business to tend to..after all this is a restroom..isnīt it?" Nick felt irritated that there was no where he could be alone, not even in the john.

"Ok," Jim grinned again and then called back to Howie that he had been found and that everything was allright. Then he left the restroom which Nick was greatful for. Now he had to leave the premises before it looked too gay what he was doing. With a sigh he tried to sharpen out his lifeless hair but it hung like a cap on his head, "Well Carter you better realize that no matter what you do you will look like hell." With that he stuck out his tongue and then left the restroom to go back to the others.

The second he opened the door to the dressing room he was met with Howie’s questioning. "Where have you been?" The Latino looked anything but happy, "How can you disappear before telling anyone where you went?"

Nick shrugged his shoulders, "Chill out dude, Iīve only been to the restroom."

"Really?" Howie looked like he didnīt believe a word what the younger man said, "What have you been doing there for almost an hour?"

"None of your damned business." Nick was getting more and more irritated. "I think itīs MY business when you go away like that..not telling anyone where you went." Howie sounded cold which startled Nick since it was rare that the older man had a temper or even raised his voice.

"Since when do I need a chaperone going to the bathroom?" Nick wanted to know. "besides," he continued, "I haven’t been in there for a freaking hour!"

Howie looked at him strangely but to Nick’s luck, the door opened and Kevin came inside, "There you are," he said pointing at Nick while he was rubbing his hair dry with a towel with the other hand. "Weīve been looking for you."

"So Iīve heard," Nick muttered glaring at Howie who still looked very annoyed over the whole situation.

"Where have you been?"

"What is this? Spanish Inquisition or what?"

Kevin stopped in his tracks, "What did you say?"

"Huh?" Nick was getting more and more irritated that his brothers were catching on so slowly and to tell the truth he really wanted to lay down again. His head ached, not to mention his back and joints.

"The Spanish Inquisition..how did you know that one?"

"Why? Do you think Iīm stupid or something?" Nick looked pissed over at his oldest "brother", searching in his expression what he meant with the words he said.

"No..No.." Kevin held up a hand, "No I didnīt mean it like that..I just..."

He got interrupted by Nick who said in a sour tone, "No you just thought that I was too dumb to know something like that, didnīt you?"

Kevin, feeling caught in the act quickly changed the subject, "That is not the point. The point is that youīre running away without telling us where you went!"

These words had Nick feeling even more upset than before, "Oh my Gosh, I didnīt run away. I was just in the john." he drew back his breath, "God canīt I even take a dump without you questioning me?" To state his point he resolutely turned on his heel and started to walk out from the room.

" Where are you going?" Both Howie and Kevin called after him.

"Out!" Nick yelled sounding like a pre-teen. "Out from this fucking prison!" Slamming the door shut behind him he decided that he would NEVER tell his brothers about the hell he was going through. About Lou, the pills or even that he was peeing blood again. He would rather die than reveal those things.

73 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 73

It was past midnight and the guys had finally made it out of the venue after signing tons of autograph and they were now on their way to Italy where they were going to end the tour. Since they had a show to do in Milan the next day they had to travel by night so therefore all they could do was watch video and take it easy. Johnny had ordered up pizzas to them and all but Nick had devoured the dish like they were a bunch of starving wolfs. The teen on the other hand had said no, claiming that he wasnīt hungry and instead heīd drank a can of coke. This had come much to an surprise since neither of them were used to Nick skipping a meal, especially not if it was Pizza. Yet they said nothing since they all knew that their little brother had not been feeling well to begin with and instead they blamed that the lack of apetite to the flu that were going around.

But Nick knew better.

He was still peeing a tint of pink and his back ached like a bitch. If he wasnīt so sure that they were upset with him for catching another flu bug again he would have asked for tylenol but now he refrained from doing that. Mainly beacuse he felt like he had been given the cold shoulder all evening, probably beacuse he knew that they was pissed at him for stalling again. Another flu bug wasnīt wanted, especially not in the end of a tour when all everybody was thinking off was going back home to meet girlfriends and family and didnīt want to be stuck in a hotel room with a sick teen. It was these thoughts that had Nick thinking twice about telling anyone how bad he really felt.

" Anyone wants another beer?" Howie called out from the kitchen area. He was rumaging through the small refrigerator trying to find some cold ones.

" Yeah I want one," AJ yelled back, tightlt followed by both Kevin and Brian. Lou and Johnny had decided to ride the bands bus since they needed to take care of some business and to say that the guys was happy would be an understatement. " D' make that two no wait..three..hell bring the whole six pack!" AJ cried.

" Allright, anything else?"

" Yup make some popcorn too and bring that bag of chips. You know those sour cream ones that we bought at that supermarket." Brian was in the livingroom section, waiting for Sweet D' to join them so they could start watching the horror film that AJ had bought. It was suppose to be a scary one.

There were loud noises as Howie slammed in the cupboards obviously not being very happy of being the designated maid. The guys couldnīt help to tease their brother. " D'! While youīre at it, bring some peanuts too."

There were a brief silence before Howie yelled back with annoyance in his voice, " Is there anything more you want before I close the shop for tonight?"

" Yes as a matter of fact there is," Brian stated with a chuckle, " get those bags of cheese doodles too and donīt forget to bring..." He was instantly interupted.

" Get it yourself."

A loud laugh broke out in the livingroom. They had been pulling poor Howies leg again. Sweet D' was such an easy target, especially since he had a hard time staying mad for a longer period of time. Usually it was Nicks doing, bugging their friend, but tonight when the teen was not in a mood Brian took over the task. With delight.

Soon they found Howie balancing several bags of chips and cheeze doodles as well as a six back and a bowl of popcorn into the living room area. No one made any attempt to help since they were seriously discussing if the videofilm AJ had bought was worth watching or if they should look at a safer card.

Just when Howie thought he was safe with juggeling the hard task and he was going to put down the popcorn bowl as well as the bags of chips on the table he tripped. Before anyone could react the blue plastic popcorn bowl came flying through the air as well as the chips bags. Popcorn was soon decorating both the rest of the guys as well as the floor. It was a disaster.

Looking down at the obsticle on the floor that had tripped him Howies face went red in seconds, " Jeeze Nicky," he yelled, " What are you doing on the floor?"

Looking up with innocent eyes Nick mumbled, " Sitting, what does it look like I do?" He rubbed his leg absently, " Ouch that hurt."

" It did?" Howie was much to nice to be upset for long and he bent down to see where he had hit his friend. Noticing that Nick wasnīt hurt he stated irritated, " Well you didnīt need to sit on the floor did you?" They were all tired and tense since the show and a bad mood was nothing but expected. " Look what you did! Now there is popcorn all over the bus."

" Chill out D', " AJ came to the rescue,"There is no disaster besides most of it was still in the bowl." With that he helped the others to pick up the popcorn placing it in the bowl. There had been lots of laughter but it had quickly died down when they saw that Howie was nothing but amused.

After the place was cleaned up as best as they could regarding the popcorn AJ threw a beer to Nick " Here ya go!" When the teen didnīt accept it and it fell down on the floor he continued with accusasation in his voice, " Fuck Nick, why didnīt you take it? Man youīre not the one to turn down on a bud."

Nick shrugged, " Didnīt want any."

" Uh..are you sick or something?" AJ asked getting a glare back from the others. " What? Itīs not like Nicky to turn down booze or food!" The others shook their head in disapprovement and AJ sighed loudly, " Man I just asked." He sat down heavily on his side of the couch.

Howie, forgetting that Nick had tripped him asked, " You want something else?"

" Nah.." Nick shook his head before yawning loudly, " Iīm fine."

" You sure?" He got a nod back. Howie felt a tad concern. Nick looked much too pale for his own good and the black bags under his eyes revealed that he hadnīt got much sleep the previous days, " Nicky, if you are that tired maybe you should go back to the bunks and get some sleep instead of watching this video." His tone were soft and taking in the pale and tired view of his friend he decided to call it a truce.

" Yeah Kaos..beside this movie is much too scary for you," AJ added from his corner of the room.

Nick glared at the twenty year old, the turned back to the latino who looked really worried, " Nah..Iīm not tired," he stopped to think, " Iīm sorry that you tripped over my legs." His voice was soft and quiet which had them all turning their attention to him.

" You ok?" This time it was Kevin who acted a bit concern, " You donīt have a fever again, do you?"

" No," Nick shook his head, instantly regretting his move since it hurt his head. There were an impending headache coming on bringing with it a bit of nausea too. Noticing that the others didnīt seem to believe him he continued, " Man are we going to talk about my health or are we going to watch the film?"

" Nickys right..plug it in." Howie decided and AJ put the tape in the videorecorder.

" No wait," Kevin said when AJ pressed the start button. " Brians not back from the john yet."

AJ sighed loudly, " Man B'rok better hurry or we wonīt be able to watch this movie before itīs morning."

" Chill out Bone..you sure are aggitated tonight," Kevin said calmly when AJ grumbled something not so nice to the guys. The younger man opened his mouth to say something when Brian came out from the small toilet, jumping down on the couch.

" Ok Iīm ready now we can watch it."

" Good..finally," AJ sighed, turning to Nick he asked, " Youīre not gonna go next or something?"

" Huh?" Nick looked suprised at his friend.

" Good," AJ stated, " If no one have any objections Iīm going to start this baby now." With that he turned on the film. ************************************************************************************************************

Shifting restlessly on the floor Nick was trying to find a comfortable position. It was hard since his back hurt so bad and no matter how he lay he felt like all of his joints were working in overdrive. The headache that had been escalating slowly through out the night was now full blown and if he hadnīt been so tired he would have gone to bed in his bunk. But even the thought of having to get up made him feel even worse. There fore he stayed on the floor even if it wasnīt too nice either. Especially since the bus kept moving making him a bit motionsick as well as making his head jump with every bump that they hit on the road. The guys had to see that he wasnīt comfortable at all yet no one offered him a place on the couch either.

His eyes were starting to get more and more heavy and if it wasnīt for the hard connection against his left side he would have fallen asleep without a twitch. " OUUUUCHHHH!!"

" Fuck Carter...move or I swear that I will step on you," AJ growled, holding his leg, " Man why do you have to lay on the floor?

" Donīt do that. It hurts." Nick held protectivly at his side, " Get off me."

" Then the fuck MOVE!"

Looking up he saw AJ standing bend over him, looking like a gigant and he blinked several times trying to get his bearings, " Uh?"

" I said MOOVE or Iīm going to kick your ass again!"

" AJ!," Kevin barked, " There is no need to sound like that at Nick."

Sounding like an obnoxious teenager the other man said, " Can I help that dumbass legs was in the way? I was just going to get something to drink when this ass," he pointed at the teen, " was taking up all the space." Turning to Nick he continued, " If you were like everyone else and sat on a seat you wouldnīt be stepped upon. Itīs your own damned fault that youīre getting in the battlezone."

" Bite me." Instantly Nick was in the game.

" Idiot," AJ muttered before walking out off the room to get another beer. Kevin gave him a hard glare while Nick nursed his aching side. When AJ came back with a brewster in his hand their was nothing said as he sank down next to Brian, " Hey give me some."

Brian who was busy stuffing his face full with popcorn looked up, " There is no need to sound so tersly." His hand went instantly back to the bowl, grabbing a hand full.

" Yeah and there is no need for you to eat all of the popcorn," looking down into the bowl he muttered, " Man you ate it all!" Picking at the crumbs he grumbled, " You could at least have saved us some."

" Didnīt think you wanted any besides there is plently of chips to eat too." Brian said looking a bit ashamed.

AJ shrugged, " It wasnīt for me. Iīm sure that blondee here would like some too. Right?" When he didnīt get an instant anwer he asked again, " Right dumbass?" With that he nudged Nicks head a bit with his foot. to state his point.

" What?" There were an irritated tone as Nick lifted his head slowly to look at the older man. His head ached even worse than before and talking to Bone was not high on his priority list.

" I asked if you wanted any popcorn. Or chips?" AJ waved with the chips bag infront of Nicks face.

" Oh," The teen responded with laying down his aching head on the floor, " Not hungry." The moment he uttered the words he knew that it was true. His stomach ached and there were an tingling sensation in the back of his throat like he was going to get sick. Swallowing hard he mumbled," Get that bag away from me!"

The action had them all staring at him, " Huh?"

" What? Why are you staring at me? What did I do?" Now Nick was getting more and more irritated. Why did they have to ask like such asses?

" Nothing, just concerned that youīre turning down chips that all," Brian said with a shrug. Looking at Nick he asked, " You sure that youīre ok?"

" Yeah I said so didnīt I?" Nick muttered, feeling like an traitor not saying how bad he really felt. He was sure that if he would even utter one small sign that he was peeing blood they would be all over him. Sending him off to the hospital. He groaned as another wave of pain shot through his back.

" Damn Kaos, get off that floor...this is not a place for you to lay, especially not since you ran a fever yesterday." AJ changed his tone of voice upon hearing Nicks groaning. It was obvious that his friend wasnīt well at all.

" Yes Nick what the hell are you doing down there. Get up before you get even sicker than you are." Kevin was now taking charge off the situation.

" No I wanna stretch out," Nick mumbled hearing how stupid it sounded, yet doing nothing to stopping it. Closing his eyes to block out the light he mumbled, " beside there were not any room for me on the couch."

Upon hearing this Brian instantly moved his legs, even if it was a bit unwillingly, " Here Frack," he said patting on the seat next to him, " Here you can sit."

" No thank you. I wanna lay on the floor."

" Donīt be so stupid," Kevin barked, " Brian told you that you can sit on the couch and the floor is really not a good place for you to sleep on. If youīre that tired maybe you should go to bed."

" No..itīs cool down here, besides Iīm too tired to move."

Upon hearing this Kevin went into some strange doctors mood, " Cool? Are you saying that you are hot? Youīre not running a fever again, are you?" The older man bend down to feel Nicks forehead but the blonde shrugged swiftly away. " Be still will you," he growled trying hard to act out his bedside manner which sucked according to Nicks messures.

" Iīm fine, leave me alone. I just wanna lay on the floor is that some kind of crime or what?"

" No but itīs stupid," Howie filled in, " especially since you had a very high fever yesterday and passed out."

" It was not," Brian interjcted, " Youīre not well and you know it. You havenīt been well at all on this tour."

" Whatever." A pressing matter was making itself known and he knew that he had to get up or there would be an accident. Standing up with lots of effort he caught the others attention once again.

" Where are you going?" Brian asked with concern watching Nicks pale face and the expression in his face that told them that he was not well at all.

This was getting too much. " God! Are you my mother or something?" he snapped. " Canīt I even take a leak by my own, before you start questioning me?" He moved towards the small toilet when AJ stopped him.

" You sure thatīs all you gonna do?"

" What do you mean?"

" You know the number one rule...No shitting on the tour bus!" He grinned.

" I thought that was number two," Brian joked to lighten up the pressed mood that they were all in.

This had the guys laughing, all but Nick who slowly made himself into the toilet. Once he had closed the door and was alone he took care of his little problem. It was esaier said than done since his back and bladder ached so bad that he wanted to crawl into a ball. Outside he could hear the guys laughing and a thought popped up in his mind, and this had the rest of them laughing. Nick looked back at them before walking into the bustoilet to take care of his problem. ' If they only knew,' he thought darkly, wincing, as he watched the water below him turn a deep shade of pink.

74 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 74 Brian Littrell had always been a lightsleeper. Heīd spend endless of night tossing and turning, listening to the other guys snoring and making sounds. It was like everything in the night was sounding louder than at daytime and therefore the slightest noise caught his attention. Sometimes the nights could be as busy as it was in the mornings, especially when they had done concerts and were riding the bus. It was hard to wind down and often there were some time before it was all quiet in the bus, that is if you count out the humming from the engine as well as all the guys individual sounds.

Howie was the band’s snorer. He had an ability to fall asleep everywhere and at anytime which often resulted in loud snoring. AJ on the other hand didnīt snore, instead he talked in his sleep which Brian thought was both hilarious as well as annoying. The fact that the skinny man denied talking in his sleep made it all just as funny. Nick was the one that was often up in the middle of the night, often to use the bathroom, watch a cartoon when he couldnīt sleep or making those endless coughing sounds that had become a trademark for him. The teen was also well known for his nightmares and there were more than one occassion when Brian had been woke up from Nick whimpering in his sleep. Kevin was the only one that didnīt make any sounds in the night mostly since he was such a heavy sleeper that the guys used to joke that an earthquake couldnīt even wake him up.

This night was not different from any other nights that they had spent on the bus and Brian had tossed and turned for what seemed like forever. The movie had been pretty scary and heīd been actually happy when Nick had gone to bed early, since the teen had so easily got nightmares and those whimpering dreams often lead to one thing; more noises! His eyelids were becoming more and more heavy and soon he found himself on the verge of stepping over to dreamland when a sound suddenly woke him up, catching his attention.

The bed above him creaked heavily and Brian’s first thought was that Nick was dreaming when he saw two bare feet hang down and his friend jumped down from his bed. He was about to ask what was the matter when he saw his friend disappear towards the small toilet, closing the door fast behind him. Relieved to see that it was just another of those nightly visits he closed his eyes again and rolled to his side.

Tucking his blanket up to his chin he started to drift off to sleep when there when a noise caught his attention. It was a groan like someone was in pain. "Nick?"

No response came from the small toilet. He sat up straighter in bed, "Frack?" Another groan but still no response. His first thought was that he had imagined it all but when there were a soft moan he knew that he heard the right thing. There was a small whimpering too and this had Brian feeling concerned. Was Nick sick?

Setting his feet down he winced as his skin made contact with the cold floor. It was a bit chilly in the room and he padded over to he toilet, knocking softly, "Nick are you allright?"

"Mmmmm.." came a shakily reply.

Brian reached for the handle. Rattling the door he asked, "You want me to come in? You need anything?"

"Noooo..Iīm..Iīm bu..busyyyy.." A loud groan was heard when he uttered the last syllabels.

This had Brian pushing with his shoulder against the door, "Let me in...Open the door."

"Iīm..Iīm..fi..fine.." The tone was nothing but steady which had Brian getting almost desperate. Nick could be such a drama queen but he could tell that there was some genuine pain in the way his voice was shaking too.

"Open up!"

"Shhhh..yeah in a sec.." Nick mumbled and Brian could hear the toilet flush. He was about to let it all go when there was a moan from the other side.

"Thatīs it!!! Iīm coming in." Brian shook the door so hard that he feared that it would break. But all it did was stir up the guys in the bunks.

A noise was heard from the top bunk not far away from the toilet and soon AJīs voice boomed, "What the hell is going on?" He sounded very groggy and for an instant Brian debated wheater or not he should tell the truth. That Nick was in some kind of discomfort and that he refused to open the door. Then he decided against it since all it would do was getting the guys up and right now he wanted to talk to Nick in private.

"Itīs nothing," he called back. AJ grunted something and then rolled on his side, his back to them and soon he was back in the land of dreams. As soon as Brian could hear the even breaths he turned his attention toward Nick again.

The door opened, revealing a pale and shaky figure. Instantly Brian grabbed at him, "Are you allright? Dude you look like shit."

Shrugging out of his embrace Nick muttered, "Calm down..Iīm fine..just a bit of a stomachache..thatīs all." With a grunt he walked into the kitchen area, a bit hunched over since his stomach hurt too much to walk straight.

"Oh," Brian frowned, "You didnīt puke or something did you?"

Nick shook his head negative, letting out a small burp, "No, sorry." He held his hand towards his mouth momentarily which had Brian getting into a doctors mode.

"You want me to ask Walter to stop at the next reststop?" He felt sorry for his friend since he knew that traveling with a stomachache was not nice at all, especially when you wanted to use the facilities. "You feel sick?"

"No and yes, a bit."

"Huh?" Brian wasnīt following his friend’s drift. "What do you mean?"

Nick sighed. "No he doesnīt need to stop and yes to feeling a bit sick." He suddenly changed his tone, "But Iīm feeling a bit better now." He opened the cupboard and took down a glass, "Just need to drink some water and Iīll be fine. Iīm dying of thirst."

"You sure?" There was serious doubt in Brian’s voice as he uttered the words. "Maybe you should take something else for your stomach, you know some Gatorade or Pepto or something." He looked over at Nick with a frown, "Or should I wake Kevin?"

"NO!" Nick shook his head too fast for Brian not to be suspecious and then quickly added, "I mean itīs nothing serious you know. Maybe itīs something I ate that didnīt agree with me." He smiled paley, "Whatever it was the cramps are going away..seee.." He took his hands from his stomach and tried to stand up straight without wincing.

Brian was far from believing what Nick said, "Mhmmm.." he mumbled while he was desperately trying to think what was wrong with this picture beside Nick being sick again which was a big surprise....NOT! Suddenly he knew it, as far as he knew the teen hadnīt eaten anything at all that evening, even passed on pizza. He was about to call the bluff when he noticed that Nick downed three glasses of water in a row. "Thirsty much?"

The teen nodded as he wiped his mouth with his sleeve, "Yup."

"Ok," With a yawn Brian stretched his body, " You sure that I shouldnīt ask Walter to stop for a moment? You know so you can stretch your legs...get some fresh air or something?"

Nick shook his head again, "Nah Iīll be fine." He put the glass in the sink and then burped loudly, "As a matter of fact I think Iīm going to turn in, Iīm really tired and that stomachache is better now. Maybe it was just gas or something."

For a moment he blushed and Brian couldnīt help to smile at his friend. Laying his arm around the teen’s shoulder he said, "Yeah that could be it. Well if you feel better then maybe we should hit the sack."

"OK." With that they both walked towards the bunks. Brian watched as Nick crawled up to the topbunks. "You know if you wanna sleep down here, I can trade places with you." He pointed at his own bunk.

His friend shook his head, "No it’s ok..besides, why would Ė?"

Briand fidgeted momentarily, "You know if you feel like you wanna get sick or something."

"I donīt," Nick mumbled as he swung his legs up to the topbunk, "Relax," he smiled paley, "Everything’s gonna be fine, you know. Nothing to worry about." With that he lay down on his pillow, "I feel so much better now so stop being such a worrywart."

"OK, if you say so," Brian added patting his friend’s head, "Well sleep tight then and donīt hestitate to wake me if you start to feel sick again."

"Sure." Nick closed his eyes like to say that it was enough for now, "Night Frick."

"G'Night, Frack." Brian smiled before crawling back to his bed again. Even long after the noises had died down and he could hear the even breaths from all of his friends, Nick included, that indicated that they were all sleeping he couldnīt rest. He just knew that something was up with Nick, but no matter how he tried he couldnīt pinpoint to what it was. The over excessive water drinking had something to do with it, but why and what he had no clue. Closing his eyes he tried to will himself to sleep and when the dawn finally came and the sun was shining through the curtains he could relax well enough to finally let sleep take over. A disturbing and fitful sleep.

*******************

His mouth was all dry and it felt like he had swallowed a whole desert. Opening his eyes Nick felt like someone had poured a ton of sand into his eyes too and for a moment he thought that he had been trapped in a sandstorm. When he finally started to come to his senses he noticed that he was laying in his bed and it was late morning. The sounds of the others being up dawned upon him and his first instinct was to call out to them when he heard Brian’s voice discuss about his nightly visit to the bathroom. A bit pissed that he was topic of conversation and that they actually discussed if he was hiding something from them, he started to pout.

While he lay in bed he debated whether or not he should let them know that he was awake and then decided against it since his head hurt like a bitch. If he didnīt know if it was better he would have thought that he had been out clubbing and was suffering from a major hangover. At least that was what it felt like, the headache, nausea but especially the thirst.

Moistening his lips with some saliva, he glanced at his watch. The digitals told him that it was soon noon. 11:06. "Fuck," he whispered. They had really let him sleep in late. If he was lucky they would soon be in Milan. Moving in his bed he could feel that the backpain that had tortured him all evening was back again even more and the previous nights stomach trouble had been reduced to a dull pain by now. 'Iīm starting to fall apart,' he thought miserably as he drew his sheets up toward his chin. It was a bit chilly in the bus and if it wasnīt for the bladder making itself known he would have stayed in the bunk all day.

Suddenly someone came into the bunk area and listened intently. It was AJ, searching for something. "You up Kaos?" his friend called out softly while he was rumaging through some bags.

Nick held his breath, trying hard to make himself not known when the curtains were pulled back and he was peering into a pair of concerned brown eyes, "You allright dude?"

"Mmmm.." There was no need in trying to act like he was fast asleep anymore since AJ had found out his "secret". Silently he cussed that the skinny man seemed to have some sixth sense built in into him that whenever something was not right with one of the guys he always felt it. Apparently that sixth sense had kicked in now and therefore he knew that Nick was up and about too. "Iīm coming down soon, just stretching for a bit."

"Cool," His friend turned back to rumaging through the bags again, "B'rok said that you had some kind of stomach ache or something last night...youīre better now?"

Tattletale! Nick sighed loudly. Why couldnīt Brian mind his own business? "Yeah..sure..maybe it was the pizza or.." He could have bit his lip or slapped himself in the head. Why did he have to say those words since he knew that he hadnīt been anywhere near that pizza at all. He prayed silently that AJ wouldnīt noticed that slip up but fate didnīt seem to be on his side this morning and soon enough his friend picked it all up.

"Pizza?" there was surprise in the older man’s voice, "Dude you didnīt even touch that stuff!!!"

Damn. "Whatever." He hoped, no he prayed that AJ wouldnīt call upon his words but he couldnīt be more wrong since soon the brown eyes were peering upon him again.

"Youīre not getting really sick are you?" The eyes were searching at his and he had to look away momentarily.

"Nooo."

"Good," AJ stared at him, " Because if you are..and youīre lying Iīm going to kick your ass so hard your nose will bleed." With that he turned back to the search again, " Fuck did you see my cd player?"

Nick let out a sigh of relief when his friend turned his attention in another direction. "No, I havenīt..sorry." He thought for a while, "Maybe D' borrowed it yesterday." Being helpful would always help his friend’s foul morning mood.

AJ shook his head, "No I asked him but he said that he didnīt use it. You sure you didnīt borrow it?"

Nick shook his head. Sitting up straighter in his bed he was doing his best not to wince since the pain in his head and back was pretty bad and he needed some asprin or he was sure he was going to grow a third head. "No I didnīt use it."

"Ok." There was a deep sigh. He could hear the bunk curtains close and AJ leave the area, "Iīm going to tell the others that youīre up." With that the older boy was gone.

Nick sighed too. Why couldnīt they mind their own business?

The headache was making itself known again and for a moment he feared that his head would explode and his brain would splatter all over the place. Groaning he knew that he had to get some meds into his system before he died of an annerysm or something like that. With a moan he jumped down from his bunk, causing an electric jolt of pain once his feet connected to the bus floor. Another shot of pain made him wince when his back felt like it would split in half. He had no idea why it was hurting so much but somewhere in the back of his mind a thought crossed that it could have something to do with him peeing red again. Hadnīt the doctor told him that if he was showing signs of urinating blood he should immediately go to a hospital?

His disturbing thoughts were instantly pushed back when he came to face Kevin one on one.

"Hey Kiddo," the older man said with searching eyes, "Youīre finally up?"

"Uh-huh.."

The older man didnīt spare on his words, "Bri said that you were feeling rotten. I hope that youīre doing better today since we have a busy schedule ahead of us."

"Mmmm," Nick nodded, not finding any words to say. Running his hands through his tousled hair he mumbled "Iīm going to go in there," and then gestured towards the small bathroom again. God he seemed to be spending so much time in those facilities lately and he feared for having to take another trip in there again since any attempt to take a leak ended in pain and whimpering. For some strange reason he was drinking so much water yet he couldnīt pee so much and when he mangage to squeeze out a few drops it would be a session wrapped up in a cloud of pain. That was NOT something he was looking forward to enduring again.

"Ok, make yourself ready and then come over to the living room area since weīre having a brief meeting." Kevin stopped to look at him for a moment, "You sure that youīre allright?" His hand was reaching for the blonde’s forehead like he wanted to check that he was really feeling fine.

Nick shrugged away from the older man’s touch, fearing that he was running a low grade temp again. According to his book there was no need in showing this so therefore he backed off. "Yeah I told you I was ok, didnīt I?" There was a hint of accusation in his tone that had Kevin drop the subject.

"Ok.." he dragged out the word, "Just wanted to make sure."

"Good," With that Nick hurried towards the bathroom, "Now if you don’t mind me Kev Iīm going inside." Before the older man had a chance to object he shut the door, hard, to state his point. Once he had taken care of his business, another session in deep pain and pink tinged outcome, he fought the tears that were dwelling up in his eyes. His whole life sucked and he longed so much to be at home. Home with his family, his mom where he could get the comfort and hugs that he so desperately needed. Sinking down on the closed toilet seat he felt nothing but miserable and the tears fell without further delay.

Several minutes later he came to his mind again. Wiping his tears off with the back of his hand he tried desperately to get his bearings. Snot was running from his nose and looking at himself into the mirror he was in for a real treat! The face staring back at him was red and blotchy and he noticed to his dispair that he was looking bloated too.

"You look like hell Carter," he mumbled, splashing some water onto his face. Trying to look as normal as could be. When that didnīt succeed he stuck his toungue out to himself. These conversations to himself were starting to get the better of him. "Man you look fat too. And pathetic!" Taking off his tee he noticed that there was a bloated look that he could swear hadnīt been there before and he felt disgusted and sick. Pinching the fat on his stomach he felt nausea dwell up inside of him.

The voice of Mr Pearlman came into his mind, "You're fat and useless Carter. A big failure! No one likes someone that looks like you!” The words had hurt so much and he felt like he would explode from the emotions taht were bottled up inside of him.

No matter how hard he had been dieting lately he still looked nothing but a big fat blob! One big failure!!!

Oh how he wished that he could get his hands on those pills or that "health drink" that the obese manager had given to him. Even if he knew that it was bad deep inside he thought that Lou had been right and that he had done it all out of concern for his own health. Hadnīt he start to go down as soon as he stopped taking those pills and drinking that drink? Ok it had been nothing but disgusted to have an upset stomach all the time, but thinking of it he came to his decision that it sucked even more to look like a bloated whale!

That was making him even sicker.

Wiping his tears away he decided that he had to do something to the situation since he couldnīt go around bawling like a small kid all the time. He had to talk to Lou and get him to give him some more pills or that disgusting fluid. The manager had been right all along. He had to be on a diet. For his own sake. With that in mind he did his best to look normal again, dried his face with a towel and then placed a smile on his lips and then went out to meet the world again. Being happy as always.

75 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 75

Nick stood in the hallway outside Lou Pearlman’s hotel suite door. He kept balling his fist to knock and then would suddenly lose courage and drop his hand silently down to his side. He felt foolish but even more so, he felt like his request would be denied by the fat manager.

The elevator rang out, annoucing it’s arrival and voices of the passengers were filing out, giggling and talking. Nick jerked when he heard the giggles turn into hushed whispers. Glancing quickly over his shoulder, he saw the group of five young teenaged girls walking down the hall towards him.

Balling his fist, he literally pounded on the door, silently praying Pearlman would be awake and come to his rescue. Looking nervously over his shoulder, Nick debated on whether he should bail his attempt in getting the manager’s attention and make a run for the stairs. The girls were walking faster toward him and he was beginning to think that he would be cornered if he didn’t get into the manager’s suite or run away from the group.

Just as he started to turn away from the door, he felt the gush of air from the suction of the door. “Nick?”

Nick smiled paley at the sweaty manager. “Hi, can I come in please?”

With a sigh, Pearlman opened the door wider and motioned with his head.

The manager leveled a hard glare at the blonde. “I thought I told you boys that you needed to keep a low profile and stay in your rooms.”

“I know you did, but I really needed to talk to you.”

Lou quickly freshened his drink at the mini bar and lowered his bulky frame onto the small couch. “Okay, what’s the trouble?”

Nick wrung his hands in a nervous gesture as he stared at the floor.

”Speak up! I don’t have all day you know!” Pearlman growled.

“Well, um, you know how you’ve been telling me I have to diet and stuff, you know?”

The manager sighed loudly. “Yes, I know.”

Nick could feel the heat rising to his face. “Well, um, I don’t think I’ve been doing so great lately and I was um, wondering if I could get more of that diet drink or those pills.....I don’t seem to be losing the weight Kev...I mean I when I lost those pills....”

Pearlman cleared his throat. “And that is pretty much what I expected from you. I told you to eat like nothing was going on, and as usual, you made a pig of yourself, but rest assured, you need to take care of this on your own time away from the others. Your screw up made them suspicious....”

“Yes, I know and I’m sorry,” Nick interrupted.

“Well you’ll think twice from now on.”

“Yes sir, I will.”

Lou smiled at the blonde as he lifted his glass. “I will expect to be seeing less of you when the break is over.”

“I promise.”

“Is that all you wanted then? To tell me you’re sorry?”

“Yes, well that and I need those things.”

“Nick, you know I can’t give them to you.”

Nick faught the tears that welled up in his eyes. “But I need them, why won’t you give them to me?”

“Because everyone is suspicious about this and they’re watching you and me and I can’t risk it. I don’t want to discuss this matter with you anymore.” The manager motioned toward the door with a wave of his hand. “Go back to your room and rest up. We have a full schedule ahead of us tomorrow.”

Nick turned away from the manager and walked out of the room, the tears in his eyes blurring his vision. He kept his head bowed toward the floor as he walked, afraid to look up for fear someone would see him.

Suddenly, Nick ran into someone and immediately was grabbed by both arms. “Whoa...kiddo, watch where you’re going!”

Kevin’s voice almost sounded as close to soothing as he could get and for some reason Nick felt safe but not safe enough to look his older brother in the face.

“Sorry,” came the mumbled reply, followed by a sniff.

“Nicky? Is something wrong?”

Nick groaned inwardly. ‘How do they always know when something’s wrong?’ “Nope.”

“Look at me then....”

“Geeze Kev, I said I’m fine...”

“Bullshit, look me in the eye and say that then.........aww Nick, what’s wrong? You seem upset.”

Looking up at Kevin, Nick would have loved more than anything to come clean with what was going on with him and the manager, but he was scared by the threats that Pearlman had made toward him and his career with Backstreet. Closing his eyes as he swallowed hard, Nick mumbled his excuse, “I...I just have a bad headache.”

Kevin placed a gentle arm around the younger man’s shoulder. “Come with me, okay, let’s get out of this hall and talk.”

He didn’t object as his older brother guided him back into his hotel room, away from the prying eyes of the fans that had found them. Nick was mentally beating himself up, certain that the stares and the open mouths from the small group of girls they had passed in the hall was because of him and his weight.

“Kev, do you have any Tylenol?”

“Yeah, it’s in my shaving kit in the bathroom, hold on I’ll get it for you..”

“I’ll get it myself if you don’t mind...I have to use the bathroom anyway.”

“Okay......suit yourself. Hey, do you want a coke or something?”

“Sprite if you’ve got it,” Nick replied as he softly closed the door behind him. Sighing as he looked at his reflection, he was dreading the task he had to do. It had hurt him so much lately to empty his bladder and although he felt like he could pee gallons all he managed lately was a small trickle and each time it seemed less and less.

Instead of feeling relief, he always had excruitiating pains in the area where his kidneys were - that and pinkish tinged urine.

Biting his lip, Nick tried for a few minutes to relieve himself and after roughly five minutes of trying he was finally rewarded with sharp pains and a toilet bowl dark urine.

“Nicky? Are you alright in there?”

Groaning inwardly, Nick was able to choke out, “I’m alright.”

“You sure? I thought I heard you cry like you were hurting.”

“Headache.”

Pulling the tab on his beer and taking a gulp, Kevin nodded. “Yeah, you told me that...sorry.”

Focusing his attention toward the toilet, Nick noticed that this time his urine wasn’t pinkish, it was darker colored than normal. “At least it’s not bloody anymore,” he stated to himself as he flushed the toilet.

His eyes swept over the bathroom counter, stopping when he spied the black bag where Kevin kept his toiletries. Cautiously, he opened it up, not sure of what he would find in the bag. Kevin was always known for having odd habits and things, often making Howie look like a beggar instead of the herbal vitamin supplement King as he was nicknamed in their little inner circle.

Nick was relieved to see the red and white labled bottle of Tylenol laying in the bag, but there was one bottle that caught his eye.

The diet pills!

Grabbing the brown prescription bottle, Nick quickly slid it into his front pocket.

“Shit, dumbass he’ll know you took them......stupid idiot,” he quietly chastized himself as he pulled the wanted object from his pocket. Flipping the top of the bottle open, he quickly spilled a generous amount of pills into his palm. He was as desperate as a Herion addict needing a fix. Stuffing the bottle back into the bag, Nick slipped the pills into his pants pocket, only after he plucked two of the tiny pills and popped them into his mouth, swallowing them dry.

“God look how fat you’re getting,” Nick sighed as he looked at his reflection. He thought his face looked a little fuller to him and he could have sworn he saw a double chin developing.

“Nick who are you talking to?”

Nick opened the door and sheepishly walked out into the bedroom. “Myself.”

Kevin shook his head as he watched his baby brother slowly make his way over to the empty bed. “Oh? And what did you talk about?”

“How fat I’m getting.”

Kevin shook his head and sighed. He knew that Nick always had a case of low self esteem, but he also knew that the boy seemed to beat up on himself when he was homesick or just plain sick. “Nick, you’re not fat!”

Looking at Nick he did notice that he had been filling out some on this tour but there was no way he would ever tell him that. Ever.

“Kev, if it’s okay with you, I’m gonna go back to my room and lay down. I need to get rid of this headache.”

“You’re welcome to stay here buddy.”

“Nah, I’m fine, see ya later.”

Kevin sighed as his little brother left the room. Although Nick kept insisting that nothing more was wrong than a bad headache, he couldn’t help thinking that he was hiding something more.

He was going to find out before they left for their two week break. Whether Nick liked it or not.

76 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 76

With a sudden jerk, Nick sat up in bed. The nightmare he had was so strange and surreal that he was actually happy to wake up, noticing that it had been nothing but a dream. To his relief he only remembered small pieces of the dream and he shook his head to clear his thoughts. Squinting, he looked around in the dusky room, just to notice that the tv was blaring on MTV and that he had fallen asleep with his clothes on, flat on his stomach. This position was something he disliked since it often left him feeling confused and sweaty.

Running his hand through his hair he noticed that it came away all wet and his clothes were stuck to his body like a second skin. "Damn air conditioner," Nick mumbled when he noticed that the fan was not on. It was very warm in Italy even if it was spring, and the hotel room Lou had choosen wasnīt one of the best either, at least not for the boys. Rubbing the back of his hand over his eyes he tried to get his bearings. The red digitals on the travelclock read 2:45 and glancing over at the other side of the room he noticed that AJīs bed was still untouched. The young man was no doubt out clubbing.

Sighing, he thought that his friend would be in for one hell of a fight since both Lou and Johnny had specifically said that NO ONE was allowed to leave the hotel since they all needed to be fit to keep up with tomorrows schedule. The day would be busy with interviews and tv shows as well as two concerts in two days. After that grueling work they would go to Rome and there they would end the tour and then go back to the states. Nick couldnīt wait until he was able to set his feet on American soil again. Not that he didnīt like touring, but spending almost three months on the road was more than even he could bare. Especially since he had been feeling like shit on and off the whole time.

The feeling like shit part was something that seemed to stick with him lately since his head was ready to explode again. No matter what heīd tried he couldnīt shake the migraine and for a moment he wished that he had just downed the whole bottle of tylenol. Maybe then he would have gotten some relief.

Sticking his hand in his pocket he found that the rest of the pills were safely wrapped up into the toiletpaper. Smiling, he thought that he had been pretty clever to "steal" them from Kevin since now he could continue with his "cure" without his older brother questioning his actions.

A growl in his stomach made him aware that he hadnīt eaten anything the whole day. It was not a feeling of hunger that made his gut ache, no it was more an undescriptive feeling that left him weak and queasy. A dull ache that radiated towards the back. Maybe it had been stupid of him to eat those diet pills again? What if they were the one to cause him such discomfort? Quickly he dismissed his thinking. The diet pills couldnīt be worse than anything else he had stuffed in his mouth, besides what harm could those small white pills do anyway?

Pushing the thoughts away he felt his bladder screaming for relief and got up to go to the bathroom. Instantly the room started to spin 360 degrees and he had to sit down or he would have fallen flat on his face. "Whoaaa," Nick studied himself against his bedtable. He closed his eyes shut, bending down with his head like he had been taught to do when he felt dizzy dancing. Slowly the faint feeling passed and he was able to sit up straight again. What a headrush!

Groaning, he made another attempt to stand and this time it was successful. With steps that felt like he had lead in his feet, he padded over to the bathroom and did his business. Once again his back and bladder felt like he would rupture. Coldsweat broke out on his forehead as he forced out the drop of urine. "Man that hurts," Nick whispered, flushing the toilet. Now he was almost certain that he had caught some bladder infection and if things didn’t lighten up the next day he intended to talk to someone about his embarrassing problems. Hopefully Brian wouldnīt be too grossed out. AJ was out of the question since he would probably say that he had the clap.

Steadying himself he gathered strength to go back to bed again when a loud signal was heard in the room. It was the phone and at first he tried to ignore it. Knowing from past experience it was probably AJ who called to ask him to cover for Lou in the morning and right now he was in no shape nor form to deal with a wasted Bone. Swallowing hard he willed the nausea to go down again, it did little to his condition but somehow he didnīt have to worship the porcelin god. At least not yet.

He desperately hoped that the caller would take a hint and hang up, but when no such thing happened and the ringing continued, he walked with hunch steps over to the phone. "Yeah?" The tone was irritated.

Excpecting to hear his friend’s voice on the other side he was met with one big surprise when his girlfriend was on the other line, "Nick? Nicky is that you?"

His hair rose on his arms when she called him Nicky, but he was much too surprised to say something about it. "Manda," he croaked out as he did his best to steady is voice which was just as shaky as his body and vision. Sitting down hard on the bed he continued, "Has something happend? Why are you calling this late?"

"No, I just wanted to talk to you," she said in that shrill tone that only Manda could manage. Suddenly her tone changed and it became cold, "I didnīt know that I needed to have permission to call my own boyfriend?"

Upon hearing these words he wanted to sink into the ground or better yet hang up. She was in a battle mood and this was NOT something he felt up to. Especially since he was doing his best to even sit up straight. "I have never.." he started when she cut him off.

"You said that I could call you at any time and any place and when Iīm doing this you are mean to me. Donīt you love me anymore?" She sounded hurt.

"Yes I.." He opened his mouth to say how much he loved and missed her when she cut him off again.

"Or maybe you are too busy to talk."

She was constantly changing her mood and tone and he knew where this conversation was going. Down the drain. Any other time he would have asked her why she kept doing this to him, but right now he felt so tired and lousy that all he wanted to do was crawl into a ball, trying to will himself to sleep. "No I said I was asleep didnīt I?" He could have bit his tongue since the words came out much too harsh than he intended to.

"God, there’s no need to sound so pissed," she sounded even more upset than before, "But maybe Iīm really disturbing you."

"What do you mean?" he groaned, rubbing his temples furiously with the free hand that was not holding the phone. He was doing his best to fend off the headache that was threatening to split his skull in half, and if he felt bad before it was nothing against what he felt now when Manda was emotionally making him feel vulnerable.

"Maybe Iīm calling at a bad time." She was in a real fighting mood. "Maybe youīre not alone." When the last words were uttered he knew what the phone call was all about. She had called to check up on him.

"No Manda," he let out a deep sigh, "I donīt have anyone with me..I was sleeping."

Still she wasnīt satisfied with the answer, "Really? You sure donīt sound like I woke you up."

"I was in the bathroom," Nick groaned, "Iīm not feeling too well. My stomach is a bit upset."

"Yeah right!" She let out an annoyed laugh.

He wanted to moan. When Manda was in this mood no matter what he said to her it was never right. She had a habit of turning everything to her own advantage making him look like the bad guy. He recognized the signs and knew where it was going. "Listen honey," he tried, knowing that she would probably sneer at him, " Canīt we talk about this in the morning? Itīs really late, I have a headache and I need to get some sleep." Biting his lip he waited for the big explosion.

And it came.

"Is she good looking?" Manda held a nasty tone not listening to anything he had been saying.

"Who?" His mind was too foggy to be thinking clear.

"That girl you’re sleeping with. Is she another blonde or what?"

Nick sighed again. "There’s no one here. No girl." He felt very tired and was also starting to get impatient. The bed was calling his name all the time and he had to lay down or he couldnīt count for the consequences besides he wanted some shut eye before AJ would come in stumbling, probably drunk off his ass. "Listen Iīm calling you tomorrow. I gotta get up early."

But Manda wasnīt listening at all. "No Nick," she sneered, "there’s no need to do that."

"Why?" He knew the answer before she said anything.

"Because if youīre cheating on me itīs over."

He couldnīt help but moan, "Iīm NOT cheating on you. Listen I..." She cut him off again.

"I donīt believe you. Whatīs her name? Amy or Annie or.."

This time it was his turn to interrupt the conversation, "What?" Things were really getting out of hand. "I said that there was no girl. You gotta trust me."

"Like I would believe you. You want me to think that youīre traveling all over the world, meeting tons of good looking girls every day and NOT dating or sleeping with any of them?" she snorted with lots of accusation in her voice. "I bet youīre having a new one each night."

NOOOOOO!!! Nick wanted to scream. He had no strength what so ever to keep on fighting with her since no matter what he said or did when she was in this mood he was being a bastard. He felt so desperate that he wanted to cry and on top of that, his stomach was doing violent sommersaults. Nausea welled up inside of him making his eyes water and filling his mouth with that salty tingling feeling that had him wishing that he was anywhere but talking in the phone. He swallowed down a burp, not wanting to gross her out. "Listen Honey.." he started, hoping that his stomach would be in shape long enough to tell her what he had on his mind. But Manda had other ideas.

"Donīt honey me," she sneered.

"Ok Manda then," he added with the speed of light just to hear her grunt on the other line. Now he was breathing hard through his nose too. "I have a bad migraine and I gotta go..." He was doing his best not to throw down the phone and rush towards the bathroom since his stomach was making threats to escape through his mouth all the time. He prayed desperately that she was listening to him since the seconds were passing much too quickly. By now he was standing up incase he had to leave the room in a hurry.

"Ok," she said very calmly and closing his eyes he could feel the tension drain off him momentarily, making him relax. Hopefully this would settle his stomach too. Swallowing hard he did his best to stall the incident that he knew was coming up sooner or later. Just when he was about to hang up he heard, "Say hello to Amy too,"

That was enough to send his stomach into overdrive. Throwing the phone on the bed he ran towards the small bathroom, covering his mouth with one hand and the rest trying to steady against the furniture since dizziness was threatening to overwhelm him. In the background he could hear Manda yelling "BASTARD" as loud as she could, but there was no turning back.

Fortunately he got his head above the bowl in time and painfully spilled the little he had eaten the past day, which was not much at all. Spitting bile, he felt as sick as could be and through tearfilled eyes he wished that someone was there for him. He almost hoped that AJ could be there for him, helping him out even if he felt very miserable.

It was like his prayers had been answered since there was suddenly a well known voice behind him, "Dude are you ok?" It was AJ coming back from clubbing.

77 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 77

6:15 a.m.

The morning sun broke into the small hotel room making it impossible to sleep. Shielding with his hand in front of his eyes, AJ tried to get away from the annoying sunbeams. Putting his hands under his head he grimaced. He had never been much of a morning person and being tortured by one hell of a hangover didnīt exactly improve the foul mood he was in.

Heīd desperately needed a few hours shut eye before being up and running again at the band’s gruesome schedule. It had been almost impossible since he had spent the better part of the night "babysitting" his little brother instead. Nick had been pretty worse for wear and his constant dry heaving had left him weak and tired. After coming back from a hot night at the club he had been cooped up with Nick in the small stinking bathroom for what seemed like hours, rubbing his back, telling him that it was ok. This was usually Kevin’s or Brian’s task, heck even Howie volunteered for that too. Today however he didnīt want to disturb them mainly since they would know that heīd been out which he was not allowed to do. There was no need in dragging the guys bad temper over him. Even Howie had been a good boy staying at home so AJ had been the only one going out with some of the musicians.

After what seemed like endless hours he had finally managed to coax Nick back to bed where the young man had fallen asleep, in the early morning hours. There had been moments when heīd wondered what the hell he was doing and seriously debated whether or not he should wake D or Kev up. The bug that Nick had attracted seemed pretty violent and he didnīt like the way the teen had been holding his stomach and complaining about a back pain. When heīd tried asking the teen if there was anything more that hurt or if was experiencing any other symptoms Nick had told him that he was fine and that it was just the flu that had him in itīs tight grip. AJ shook his head. Flu? My ass! Flu didnīt send you down, almost bawling from pain, not even if your name was Nickolas Carter. For a while he actually thought about calling a doctor, not caring if the management got on his case for that. Upon mentioning this, Nick had said that he was feeling better and gotten AJ to wait for a day or two with taking actions. A bit pissed he had agreed to wait with the call, even if he mentally decided that if Nick didnīt show any progress the next day he would drag his sorry ass to the ER himself. Manager and language barrier be damned!

The rest of the guys were just as concerned over their "little brother’s" health so he knew he would get their blessing. Brian, was pretty pre-occupied over his upcoming surgery and therefore hadnīt had the energy to fuss over Nick like he used to do and was just as worried and heīd told AJ that he was suspecting that the teen was into some kind of eating disorder. AJīs first instinct had been to laugh it all off, saying that there was no way in hell that their chubby bro was suffering from something like that. But the more Brian and Howie told him about the strange eating binges, the more scared he became. What if they were right?

On top of everything Kevin had spilled his guts about that the doctor was concerned over Nick and that he was malnourished. At the time being they had all shrugged it off but when Nick wouldnīt gain back his health he grew concerned. What if Nick had made himself sick? Suspecious he had searched for any evidence that the teen had been into binge eating last night but when he found nothing heīd dismissed it all for being paranoid. Nick couldnīt do something like that, could he?

A slight cough caught his attention and he glanced over at the sleeping boy on the other side of the room. He silently prayed that Nick wouldnīt wake up. To tell the truth he didnīt know if he could stand nursing a sick Nick again. AJīs bedside manner left little to desire and taking care of someone puking was not high on his list. Nick had been dry heaving up clumps of bile and heīd had to fight his own nausea. Even if he felt grossed out, it was the pained expression on his friend’s face that had him scared.

Nick hurting and something was very wrong.

Usually the kid was a bundle of joy, never being too far from laughter or a smile. Pranks was never far away either and Nick did his best to lighten up a stressful situation with his laid back ways. Even if AJ felt reluctant to admit it, the blonde was pretty easy to hang around with, even if he had a habit of getting on his nerves from time to time. However lately heīd seen very little of the smitten smile that seemed to be Nick’s trademark. Instead the teen was mostly quiet and withdrawn, almost looking a bit depressed. This could be because of the sickness that always seemed to attract their youngest member, even though he sincerely doubted that it was all

Sighing, AJ rolled to his side. He desperately needed a few hours of sleep and closing his eyes he tried to will sleep to come. He felt too tense to relax so when none of that happened, he thought about getting up. A bad conscience pleagued him and it didnīt all have to do with Nick.

The person that tortured his mind was none other than his girlfriend Amanda.

He missed her very much and thinking of her made him reach for the phone, dialing her number. There was some serious guilt about him not being a faithful boyfriend and he had to know that everything was fine with her. Spending time touring all the time was really testing their relationship and he knew that not one of the guys had it easy with their girls. Howie was the only one being single and he was dating around all the time. Brian and Leigh was the most stable couple and Kev and Kristin used to date on and off too. His girlfriend situation together with Nick’s was on the most rocky ground.

During one of their talks in the night when Nick felt well enough to do anything but hurl his friend had told him that Manda had called and bitched him out. AJ had gotten pretty mad at her and frankly he had a hard time seeing what the teen was seeing in that girl. She was nothing but ungrateful and jealous and he hated to see how she wrapped Nick around her little finger. She was all about bad news and when heīd tried telling this to Nick heīd got very upset claiming that he if anyone shouldnīt be talking about bad relations. The painful truth was that the guy was right since he did nothing but fuck up. Yet he couldnīt just stand and watch while Nick was being mentally abused by Manda.

AJ sighed. He loved his own girlfriend to death and she was someone he could think of spending his life with, getting married with kids. Not now, but not far in the future either. His problem was that there were so many gorgeous girls out there just calling his name and everytime he saw a nice pair of boobs and legs he could feel himself falling. They had talked about this endless of hours and everytime it ended with AJ begging her to forgive him and that he would be faitful from now on. This promise usually only lasted a couple of weeks, tops, and then he found himself out there, sleeping with a groupie and then he was hooked.

Kevin had tried talking to him about his sex problem but he had shrugged it off since Kevin was very hot for ladies too and wasnīt the one to give advice in such a matter. For some strange reason Amanda had always taken him back, but the more he cheated the more he feared that she would refuse to take him back and she would leave him. It was this kind of feeling that had him calling her on the cellphone. When there were no answers and the answering machine voice he got an unsure feeling that was hard to place. "Hey baby itīs me," he said hoarsly, "Iīm calling you to say that I miss you and..very much," he added before continuing, "And baby I love you..more than you can ever know." He knew that it sounded mushy but deep inside AJ was such a romantic person. "Call me back, bye honey." With that he hung up, letting out a loud breath that he had not been aware that heīd been holding. 'Please,' he begged, 'Please God donīt make me loose her.'

"And you think that it will work?" he heard a weak voice mumble from the other side of the room.

"Huh?" Glaring over at the teen in bed he noticed that Nick was awake, if not sitting up but at least he held his eyes open. "Why are you awake?" he snarled back, a bit irritated about getting caught in action. He neglected deliberately in answering the question.

The blonde shrugged, "I couldnīt sleep anymore, I guess."

"Ok." Upon seeing the pale and swollen face of his friend he frowned, "You feel sick again?"

"No," he got a negative response when the teen shook his head. Apparently Nick regretted his movement since he rested his hand over his forehead like he was in serious pain, "Iīm just thirsty."

AJ’s first intention was to tell his whiny brother that he could get the water himself when he stopped his action. After all, Nick was not feeling very well and it couldnīt hurt if he was a bit nice. Besides, Nick would be a good cover for him if he got accused of going clubbing. "Sure, what do you want? A Coke or Mountain Dew or what?" Heīd made his way towards the minibar.

"Just some water."

"Water?" AJ turned around, raising an eyebrow. Mr. Sodapop was asking for water? Man he must be feeling like crap. Picking up the glass from the bed stand he went into the bathroom to fulfill his task. Coming back he noticed that Nick had pulled the pillow over his head. "Man, come on," he sighed as he tried to take away the object from his face. When the misson proved to be pointless he muttered, "Kaos dude, I donīt have the whole day standing here trying to get you to drink." With a sigh he placed the water glass on the bedstand, "Suit yourself," he muttered, walking away from the teen. Then Nick decided to reply.

"My eyes hurt."

"Your eyes do what?" AJ sounded confused.

"They hurt," Nick’s tone was whiny in that way that AJ disliked so much.

"Ok and what do you want me to do about that?"

"The sun is shining in, can you pull the drapes for me?" Nick murmured under the pillow.

Once again the older man’s patience was tested and he was about to tell Nick to do that himself when he re-thought his actions. "Ok." Deep sigh. Pulling the drapes over the window he asked, "That better?"

"Mmmm."

"Good."

Fiddling with the remote control on the tv he tried to find something else but cartoons and children shows and which had Nick mumbling, "Lou plugged so we couldnīt see the porno channel."

"Damn bastard." Life sucked more and more. Glaring over at Nick he asked, "And you let him?"

"Like I had any choice." The voice was getting whiny again. Sitting up in bed Nick ran a hand through his sweaty hair, "Do you have that water for me now?"

"Yes," AJ gestured with his hand towards the bedtable, "Itīs there..you can get it."

Nick looked up a bit miserable. "Kevin used to help me hold the glass. My hands are shaking too much." He held out a hand to prove his point.

"Well Iīm not Kevin," AJ sneered, turning his back towards the teen who was seriously getting on his nerves now.

"Please.." Nick whined and he wanted to smash the kid’s head. "Or else Iīm telling Kev that you went out last night."

Hell, even while being sick Nick could be a pain in the ass. Deciding that he had been a bit too harsh and it would be a good idea to re-think his actions he bit his lip, "Uh..ok..here you go." Holding the glass he helped Nick to drink the water down. And that he did. Before AJ had a chance to count to ten the glass was empty. "You were that thirst?" he asked, a bit puzzled.

"Mmmm..I guess." Nick looked at him again, with pleading eyes, "Bone?"

"Yeah what is it now?" he sneered, just to change his tone to become soft again, "What izzit?"

"Can you get me some more water?"

"What?" AJ croaked not believing what he heard. He was going to say something nasty towards the teen when he noticed that Nick actually looked like crap. His face was all swollen and the eyes were glassy. There was no doubt in his mind. Nick was running a fever. "Dude you sure are thirsty," he commented just to get another shrug back from Nick. "Maybe you shouldnīt drink so much..youīll get sick." He picked up the glass and walked back to the bathroom, mentally deciding that it was good that the teen drank since he could just as easily be dehydrated. On the other hand the kid was being a pain in the ass, using the situation at hand.

"M'sorry," was heard from the bedroom and AJ felt guilty for thinking bad thoughts about his little brother. "Thatīs ok," he smiled gently returning back from the bathroom. Patting Nick gently on the cheek he continued, "Itīs not your fault that youīre feeling like shit again." Saying nothing Nick took the glass, downing it all without a break.

"Whoaaa, hold on," AJ muttered, taking the glass away from him, "We donīt want you hurling again, do we?" Seeing his friend wince he wished heīd kept his big mouth shut. The last thing he wanted was to spend the last hours cooped up in a small bathroom with a whiny and hurling Kaos. Life could be so much more exciting than that.

78 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 78

Slowly sinking his body onto the bed, AJ slipped a clean shirt. Looking over at the clock on the stand, he noted the time and then glanced over towards his sleeping brother.

“Poor kid,” AJ sighed as he looked at the crumpled mound of blankets and pillows strewn over the bedding. Soft snoring was the only indication that there was somebody in that bed. As much as he hated to wake Nick, he had no other choice since breakfast was going to be held in the conference room adjacent to Lou’s hotel suite. “Nicky.... Nick? Time to get up and get ready.”

“I’m tired.”

“Yeah well so am I, just get up and get dressed and maybe if we’re lucky, shit got cancelled and we can go back to bed.”

Nick grunted a reply, leaving the covers over his head.

“Kaos, for the last time.... you gotta get up!”

“I don’t wanna,” Nick whined.

“Suit yourself, but I am not gonna take the heat for this!” AJ grumbled as he stomped out of the room.

Nick burrowed further into the blankets, thankful that AJ finally got the hint and left him by himself. The peace and quiet he was craving was short lived when another need made itself known and interrupted the warm haven he had created for himself under the blankets.

His bladder was crying for relief....that and the fact that he was once again unbelievably thirsty. Reluctantly, he tossed the blankets aside and slowly sat up.

“God, my back hurts like a mutha,” he mumbled as he stood up, quickly hunching over. As he slowly padded toward the bathroom, Nick tried to remember what he had done that would make his back ache so. Only once in his life had he ever experienced “the dreaded bladder infection” but he never remembered the back pain being that bad except the one time after he got nailed by the group of hyper teens and he was thrown against the bus.

Nick finally made it to the bathroom only to find himself standing in front of the toilet wishing he could go. As much as his bladder hurt, it seemed like he had already emptied it when only a tiny dribble of urine was all that he could manage to force out. He suddenly cried out in pain but quickly bit his lower lip to quiet it.

Slowly, he made his way to the bathroom sink. Picking up a glass with shaky hands, Nick stopped his movements momentarily when he caught a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror.

“God..... I look like shit still,” he mumbled. Turning the faucet on, he filled the glass with water, leaving the tap running as he quickly downed the drink. Although his thirst didn’t seem satisfied after glasses, he shut off the water only to turn it back on and fill the glass one more time to take with him back to bed.

As he was slowly making his way back to the bed, Nick painfully bent over to retrieve the jeans he had left on the floor after he stepped out of them. Pulling the wadded tissue out of his front pocket, he grabbed two of the tiny diet pills he had stolen from Kevin.

Shoving them into his mouth, he quickly washed them down with a gulp of water. He wondered why he still was gaining weight when he hadn’t been eating. Lou Pearlman convinced Nick that he would be fat no matter what he personally did to correct the situation but taking those diet pills would be the only solution to his troubles.

And lately it seemed that his weight was only the beginning of his troubles. The back ache that had been plaguing him on and off the past week seemed to be sticking around now, not to mention the constant headache and his unquenchable thirst.

Moaning, he hobbled back to the bed, slowly laying down and curling over onto his side. Just as he managed to get comfortable, the door banged open.

“I came back,” AJ announced loudly as he flung the door shut. “Nick, you still haven’t got up yet?”

“I was up,” Nick mumbled quietly, “talk a little softer please...”

AJ sighed. “Are you still feeling like shit?”

Putting a hand across his face, Nick managed a moan in reply. “My head hurts so bad.”

“Another migraine?”

“Kinda, but this feels weird....different I guess.”

“Different how?”

Nick didn’t reply as he drew the blankets up closer to his neck. “AJ, you remember when you wanted to take me to the hospital and I told you no last night?”

“Yeah?”

“I think I want to go now...”

AJ stood over Nick’s bed as he lowered his sunglasses. “For a headache?”

Nick pulled the covers over his face as he faught back the tears that sprung into his eyes. “Forget it.” He kept his tight grasp on his shield of blankets when AJ automatically tugged on them.

“Let go!”

“No..... just forget about it okay?”

“Nick let me look at you! You said you didn’t feel good..... let me look at you!”

“Forget it,” Nick choked out, his voice cracking.

“C’mon you little creep, lemme see your face!”

Nick quickly flipped the covers down only to pull them back up over his head again. “Leave me alone now!”

AJ reached down at the foot of the bed and tore the blankets off Nick’s body, tossing them down to the floor. “Ah-ha!”

“Hey why did you do that?” Nick cried.

“I just wanted to look at your face.....are you crying?”

“No,” Nick sniffed, trying to reach the blankets without leaving the bed. The movement sent a sharp pain through his back, causing the blonde to cry out in pain.

Hearing the cries of his baby brother sent AJ’s concerns in a sudden worried mode. “Shit... Nick, are you okay?”

Frantic, AJ rubbed Nick’s back while the blonde sobbed into his pillow. “Nick where does it hurt? Nick?.... um, I’m gonna grab Kev, don’t go anywhere....”

Running out of the hotel room, AJ nearly knocked over a group of girls that were staked out in the hallway. He apologized as he continued to run, forgetting that he had left the door open in his haste to get Kevin and the girls immediately took advantage of the situation, thinking they would be able to go in and steal some souvineers from the tattooed singer’s room.

The girls tentatively edged their way into the open room, quietly taking in the sight of clothes strewn on the floor and it wasn’t until they heard some sobbing did they realize that they were not alone.

“Shit.....someone’s still in here!”

“Nick...Nick Carter..is that you?”

“Awww, why are you sad Nick?”

Although he felt awful, he was able to realize that girls had walked in on him laying in bed, crying. “Who let you in?”

“Don’t cry Nick,” one of the girls soothed.

“Please go away,” Nick begged as he wiped the tears from his reddened face.

“Did that Manda hurt you again?”

“She didn’t hit you, did she?”

Nick frowned as he listened to the girl’s accusations about Manda. “What are you talking about? Y-you you don’t even...” Before Nick could finish his sentence, another sharp pain ripped through his back, causing him to cry out in pain.

“Omigod, Nick are you okay?”

”WHO THE FUCK LET YOU IN HERE?” AJ boomed as he and Kevin entered the room.

“We’re so sorry!” The girls quickly raced out of the room, not daring to say anything for fear AJ would yell at them again.

Kevin sat gently on his brother’s bed, smoothing the bangs from the blonde’s sweat soaked face. “Nick, what’s going on?”

“I don’t feel good,” came the whimpered reply.

“He’s been up and down most of the night last night puking and god he’s been drinking water like he drinks soda,” AJ offered.

“Maybe your stomach needs a break Nick,” Kevin stated in a fatherly tone. “You don’t feel feverish, but your face is really red.”

“He is really in a lot of pain too, he’s said he has a weird migraine,” AJ remarked stopping when Kevin tossed a glare in his direction. “I’m just helping out by telling you what’s going on, Jesus Kev.”

“I think Nick can tell me what’s wrong with himself better than you can.”

“I just don’t feel good.”

AJ didn’t add anything but smugly gestured with his hand toward his ailing brother.

“Okay so Nick doesn’t go into detail like you, sorry I looked at you cross,” Kevin snapped out the apology.

“He said he wanted to go to the hospital because he hurts so much.”

Upon hearing those words, Kevin jerked his head toward his young brother. The hospital was a place that Nick hated the most and he acted almost like a cat being held over water when they have had to take him to a hospital in the past for a simple injury. “Is that true Nick?”

Nick moaned as he nodded.

Reaching into his front pocket, Kevin pulled his cell phone out and punched in some numbers.

“The guy said he wants to go to the hospital, who the hell are you calling?”

“Pearlman, we have to get permission to leave,” Kevin stated as he waited for the phone to connect.

AJ grabbed the phone from Kevin and closed it. “Screw that, you know what he’s gonna say. Let’s just take Nick in ourselves.”

“You’re crazy, we can’t do that!”

“So he fines us, big whoopie shit!”

Kevin sighed as he drew a hand over his face. “How about I call the hotel doctor? Would that be okay Nick?”

“I don’t care....I just wanna feel better,” Nick whined.

79 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 79

Dr. Angelo approached the hotel room nervously. This was his first real assignment since he graduated from medical school yesterday. He had been called upon by a Mr. Lou Pearlman to come and take a look at a young man who was in his care and after they argued about the fees, Dr. Angelo reluctantly agreed to two concert tickets in exchange for a housecall.

He didn’t have to stand in the hallway for long after he knocked. A tall, rather good looking young man stood in the doorway, a questioning look on his face.

“Dr. Angelo, I was contacted to see someone that is ill?”

Kevin gestured with his hand as he held the door open wider. “Yes.... please doctor, come in.”

Quickly surveying the scene in the dimly lit hotel room, the doctor’s eyes fell upon Nick, laying on his side, his face an obvious mask of pain. Setting his bag on the floor next to the bed, the young doctor knelt beside his patient.

“Can you tell me what your symptoms are?”

“My head hurts and my back hurts...” Nick mumbled.

“I see, history of headaches?”

“Yes.”

“History of backaches?”

Nick rubbed his forehead with his hand as he thought. “No, not really I guess.”

“Does it hurt to urinate?”

‘Boy, the doctor hit that one,’ Nick thought to himself. “Yes a lot.”

The doctor looked at his patient. He could see clearly that his face was puffy and swollen looking, but he had never seen the boy before in his life so he assumed that maybe he was a chubby guy. He pulled the covers back, and after noticing Nick’s full looking abdomen, he was definately certain that the swollen face could be attributed to fat.

“Sit up please, I want to palpitate your back.”

Nick slowly did as instructed and bit his lower lip as the doctor poked in his kidney area, bringing tears to his eyes.

“Does it hurt when I do that?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Running a fever?”

“Yes.”

“What does the urine look like?”

“It’s dark when I do go,” Nick stated quietly.

“He’s been drinking tons of water and puking his guts out,” AJ advised the doctor.

The doctor nodded, indicating that he had heard AJ. He opened his bag and pulled out a packet of tablets. “What you have sir is a bladder infection and you’re experiencing dehydration. You need to drink more fluids and take two of these antibiotics now and two more this afternoon and you’ll be feeling fit in no time.”

“But he is in so much pain....” Kevin stated “and throwing up.”

“That would be from the bladder infection. If he takes those pills he should be feeling better by tomorrow evening.”

“You should tell our manager that he is in no shape to work tonight,” AJ ordered.

The doctor paused for a moment as he closed up his bag. He agreed that the young man that was laying on the bed was in no condition to be up and running around but he remembered what that Mr. Pearlman had told him in his phone conversation. ”Under no circumstances will that kid be allowed to sit out a concert! Do everything you can to make sure he is onstage tonight!”

“He will be fine to work tonight, no need to worry,” the doctor quickly stated.

“But he’s really in a lot of pain, there’s no way he can perform,” Kevin insisted.

“Yeah, the kid is really hurtin’ you gotta give him something for the pain at least then if you don’t want to get him a red card,” AJ rasped.

The doctor sighed as he opened up his bag again. He looked at their faces before he held out a small white envelope. “I’ll give him an injection of a narcotic drug and six hours from now you can give him two tablets for the pain if he is still in need of relief. I would caution you that this may make him sleepy or hyper, I’m not sure which, it depends on the patient.”

“Thank you doctor, hopefully he will be feeling better by tonight and won’t need these,” Kevin smiled as he took the offered pain killers.

Once the doctor drew up the injection and administered it in Nick’s thigh, he quickly stood up and grabbed his bag. “Thank you, I will be in contact with your Mr. Pearlman and let him know of this young man’s condition. Remember, it is very important that he takes the medication and drinks lots of water. Thank you and good day.”

Kevin saw the physician to the door while AJ dutifully went to the minibar and got Nick a bottle of water to wash the antibiotics down.

“Here Kaos, god who would have thought you had a bladder infection,” AJ smirked as he handed his brother the water. “I thought that was a female problem.”

“Guys get them too AJ,” Kevin corrected as he sat down on the bed opposite of Nick’s. He watched in amazement as the young boy drank the water down in less than three gulps. “Wow, you really are thirsty.”

Nick held the empty bottle up. “More please.”

AJ grabbed the bottle from Nick’s hand. “Good thing you like water kiddo. This is the first time I’ve seen you actually listen to a doctor.”

Little did they know that the advice the doctor kindly gave Nick was the worst possible thing he could be doing to himself right now.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick woke up alone and in pain in the hotel room. He was a little surprised at first that everyone had left him, but he remembered that they told him they didn’t have a choice in the matter since Lou told them they had to be at the interview and that he would have to deal with his own problems for the time being.

He had slept most of the morning and mid afternoon away, only getting up a few times to slowly make his way over to the mini bar and grab a bottle of mineral water which wound up with another two bottles within a 30 minute time span. His thirst hadn’t seemed to die down yet. His back hadn’t either for that matter. It was still a dull ache which always increased when he tried to empty his bladder.

“Damn infection,” he hissed as he tried another unsuccessful attempt.

Glancing over at the alarm clock, he noted that the guys were due back soon from the interview and the pain meds he took still hadn’t kicked in yet.

“I better put my jeans on before they get back,” Nick said to himself as he hobbled over to his duffle bag. He grabbed a clean tee shirt, socks and underwear and grabbed the jeans off the floor with his foot as he sat on the edge of the bed.

Gingerly, he had put every item on without any troubles until it came time to fasten his jeans. He struggled to get the sides to meet, but finally was successful. The waistband dug into his stomach and back, making it very uncomfortable. Nick finally gave up and unbuttoned the jeans.

“I’m getting too fat for my clothes,” he moaned. He spied the bottle of water he had left on the table. “Shit, I need that,” he mumbled as he struggled to get back up, gasping a few times in his efforts. When he finally reached the table, he leaned against it, his breath coming in short pants from the excruciating pain that was radiating in his back. His heart skipped a beat when he thought he heard his friends out in the hall.

“I realize that Nick isn’t feeling good and had to sleep the day away but this really sucks that we had to go out and do those freaken promos without his whiny ass,” AJ muttered as he stomped down the hotel hall towards the rooms.

“Well I’m sure Nick would have gladly gone along instead of laying in bed feeling like crap,” Brian defended.

“Yeah, I guess so, I’m just getting a little tired, I don’t mean bad things,” AJ apologized as he stuck the room card into the slot. “Hey.... Nick is up and dressed!”

“Nick? What’s wrong?” Brian asked as he rushed up to a hunched over Nick.

“I-I don’t feel so good....help me,” he moaned.

“Did you take your pain pills yet?” Kevin questioned.

“Let me help you Nick,” Howie offered, taking Nick’s other side.

“Yeah, I took them, god why aren’t they working?”

“How long ago did you take them?” Howie questioned, a mothering mode setting in.

“I dunno, maybe a half an hour ago I guess.”

“Just lay back and try to relax, maybe you’re getting too worked up and maybe that’s why you’re hurting so much,” AJ counselled.

Nick ran a tired hand through his hair. “Yeah, maybe.”

Kevin held out Nick’s bottle of water. “Here drink more.”

“I don’t know how he’s going to be fit to be up on stage tonight,” Brian whispered to his cousin as he watched Nick gulping the water.

“Me either, but Lardass Lou won’t listen to anyone but himself,” Kevin replied. “Let’s hope he doesn’t make himself worse by obeying orders.”

80 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 80 "Where the hell is everyone?" Lou Pearlman was irritated. It was a warm and sunny day making him sweat like a pig. Heīd been stuck in a business meeting the whole morning where he was in the process of introducing another boyband, Nīsync into the American market. The band was fresh and much tougher than the guys in Backstreet. Heīd been traveling with them on and off in Europe but to his dismay he noticed that they weren’t anywhere as popular as the Backstreet Boys. This was beyond his understanding since in his eyes they were just as hot and talanted.

It was too bad that they were not as well received since he didnīt have half the trouble as he did with the other guys. AJ, the hardassed rebel who was into partying more than he liked was making his hair grey as well as that guy Brian, who was soon going to go in for heart surgery. He couldnīt understand why the young man couldn’t do such things when he had downtime since it was interferring too much with the business. Heīd told Brian last night that he had to wait with that surgery until they had wrapped up the new shooting for the video. The Kentuckian had gotten pretty upset, yet he didnīt care. If they wanted to stay on top they had to rely on him.

But who really gave him sleepless nights was that kid, Nick. Lou Pearlman shuddered at the mere thought of the boy. He was nothing but a nusiance. If it weren’t that he was the most popular member of the group, earning him lots of money, he would have kicked the kid out of business a long time ago. Ok, he agreed that the kid was a real talent as well had a rare charisma, it was the attitude that he was having enough of. The kid was often moody and homesick as well seemed to have poor health. The fact that the teen also ate like a horse didnīt exactly improve the situation as well. It was aparant to the manager that he didnīt care how the hell he looked. Heīd done his best to get the kid to go on a diet, but what did he get for it? A stab in the back when Nick decided to let the cat out of the bag and tell his friends. Ok, he knew that the secret was safe with him, at least for the time being, but who knew what the blonde would be up to. His gut told him that if Nick ever spilled the truth he would be in for some real troubles. The guys, who loved each other like brothers were looking after each other too hard not to act. Heīd was mostly surprised that they didnīt seen what was going on with their baby since they were watching his ass all the time.

The new star in the other group, Justin was a much safer bet. Even if he was born the year after Nick he wasnīt as much of an sissy and also didnīt act like a freaking hyper kid all the time. There were no need of babysitting there, the only downpoint with Justin was that he was dating that girl Britney and it didnīt look good for the media. Nick was also dating Manda, which was one big joke since he couldnīt see what a girl like that saw in a fag like Nick. But that was another chapter.

Hopefully Nīsync would hit the market big and he didnīt have to pay that much attention to the guys anymore, just collect the money.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a hand tapping on his shoulder, "Lou can I have a few words with you." Turning around he faced Kevin Richardson standing there.

"About time," he snarled, "where the hell is everybody? Donīt you know that we have to get going down to the venue and the meet and greet?" He stared at the younger man.

Kevin licked his lips nervously, "Yes, but I need to talk to you for a moment first."

"Ok shoot."

"Well..um..Iīm really concerned about Nick."

Lou groaned. There it was again. The name of the kid that he wanted to kick to kingdom come and now his older brother was coming to his rescue. Daddy Kevin. "What about him?"

"Heīs really not feeling well and.." Kevin didnīt get to to finish before Lou interrupted him.

"Didn’t that Doctor Angelo come and look at him?" There was a frown on the older man’s forehead. 'Damn, he had paied that stupid doctor a couple of concert tickets after all and he was expecting him to do the job.'

"Yes." Kevin shifted a bit nervous since Lou stared hard at him. "Itīs just that..um I donīt think that the doctor was very competent and I think that we should get him checked out at a hospital instead."

Fixing his eyes hard at the young man he asked, "Since when did you become a medical expert Richardson?"

"Uh..I am not an expert..I.."

"Ok well then itīs settled..If Doctor Angelo says that Nick is well enough to perform I take his word for it." Looking hard at Kevin he added, "donīt you think so Mr. Richardson?"

"Yeah..um.. I guess."

Satisfied, Lou noticed how the older man sort of crumpled infront of his eyes. "Ok well donīt stand here doing nothing, go and get your mates since we will be late and I will personally withdraw that from your paycheck Richardson. "

"Ok." He could hear Kevin mumbled a cussword under his lips yet the older man chose to ignore it. "And if you see Carter, tell him that I want a word or two with him."

"Yes," Kevin started just to get interrupted by Lou again.

"Yes sir, itīs called Richardson." He felt good watching the older man act like a small boy infront of him. It gave him power. God to him they were all sissies, fags. Even Kevin who seemed to have a mind of his own and often acted like the leader. Satisfied he watched as the younger man walked towards the elevator. Once agin he manged to show them whoīs in charge.

***********************

"That fat fucker, he is so going to get it," Kevin mumbled under his breath as he pressed the number to the floor where the guys were situated. Heīd hoped that Mr. Pearlman wasnīt such a hardass and that he would understand that Nick ws sick. But no, it was like he didnīt care about them.

Knocking on the door to Brian and Howie’s room he waited for someone to open up. Lou was right. They were late but then they had spent the better part of the afternoon trying to comfort Nick who was not well at all. He was complaining of a backache all the time and even if Kevin wasnīt a medical expert he still saw that the teen was in no shape whatsoever to perform much less a full concert.

Knocking harder he was received with Brian opening up, holding the phone under his cheek."Kev?" There was surprise in Brian’s eyes as he opened the door wide enough to let his cousin in. Turning back with his attention towards the phone he continued, "No honey itīs just Kevin. No baby thatīs allright." Closing the door behind him he walked over to the bed and continued to throw clothes into the open suitcase that lay on the floor. "You know baby that I love you and that we will soon be together. Just three more days try to bare it, honey."

Frowning Kevin watched how Brian was desperately trying to reassure his girlfriend that they would soon meet again. His cousin had recently spent lots of time at the phone which could be shown on the phonebills he produced. It was also getting on the other guy’s nerves since all Brian talked about these days was Leighanne. He knew that his friend suffered from homesickness as well as lovesickness but even for a patient man like Kevin there was just so much he could take. Pointing at his watch he tried to hurry the conversation. Luckily Brian caught the gesture.

"Listen baby I gotta go. We have to get down to the venue to do a show. Iīll call you as soon as I come back to the hotel again. Lots of hugs. Yes I love you too." Brian lit up a smile "kiss to you too my honeybunch."

Kevin shook his head with a deep sigh. Now he had to wait for Brian to end his talk with Leighanne and from past experience he knew that it could take a long time. Letting out a cough he tried to get his attention.

"Honey I really gotta go now. They are waiting for me." Brian looked like he was ready to go, yet he couldnīt end the phone call. "I really gotta go now, see ya in a few. Kiss kiss on you too...byeeee."

Finally. Kevin thought that it would never end. "Phew," he commented, "I never thought that you would hang up."

Brian glared back, "What do you mean? I donīt talk that long."

"Yeah right!" Kevin shook his head at Brian’s surprised expression. " Man you can talk for hours."

"I do not!" Brian looked ready to argue when Kevin interrupted him, "Hurry up Lou is waiting and he isnīt in one of his best moods."

"When is he ever?" Brian muttered, quickly closing the suitcase. Turning towards his cousin he asked, "Am I the only one youīre waiting on?"

"Nope." Kevin reached out to help his cousin with the heavy Samsonite. "As far as I know none of the others have went down yet. Speaking of them do you know where Howie is?" He looked around in the room.

"Yeah he said that he was going to check up on Nick for a moment and then that he would go downstairs. So I guess he is waiting by the bus by now."

"Letīs hope so." Kevin opened the door with his shoulder and then helped his friend with the luggage. "Come on we better hurry."

"Yeah..yeah Iīm coming," Brian muttered with the keycard in his mouth before hurrying after his older friend into the elevator.

As soon as they came downstairs they were met with a fuming AJ. "Where the hell have you two been?" he yelled. "Lou has been so pissed at you for not coming so it’s been one living hell."

"Oh..sorry," Kevin mumbled, looking around, "Where’s Nick and Howie?"

"Kaos had to go to the bathroom so Dī volunteered to follow him. You know how he is." AJ grinned. "He needs someone to hold his dick while going to the can."

"BONE!" Kevin shook his head in disgust, but there was also a hint of amusement in the green eyes.

There was no time for further conversation as Lou appeared infront of them. "Richardson I thought I made myself clear that I wanted you to bring the guys down here. Pronto. And not go on some fucking vacation being a lazy ass."

"Sorry," Kevin mumbled, feeling like a small schoolboy getting a reprimand from his school teacher.

"Thatīs ok." Lou loved playing the "good" guy after scolding someone. It gave him the satisfaction of being in charge. "But where the hell are the rest?"

"In the bathroom," Brian filled in, getting a frown from the manager.

"Nick and Howie together. What the heck are they doing there?"

"What do you think they are doing in a bathroom?" Brian sneered.

Lou sounded irritated with them. "How the hell should I know what teenagers are doing." He let out a loud grunt from anger. "Jerking off?"

"Duh," AJ butted in. " Nick is feeling like shit so I doubt he will be thinking of that. Besides he has a bladder infection."

"Bladder infection?" There was a smile toying at the obese manager’s lips. "Isnīt that a woman’s thing?"

"No." Brian was coming for defense. "Nick is sick and you know it. He has no business being out there tonight." Just when he said the words there was a loud "Hellooooo buddy," yelling in the back. Surprised, the older man turned around and he was met with Nick standing there with a large smile on his face and eyes that were so glazed over that it looked like heīd robbed a liquor store.

"Nick what have you been doing? Drinking?"

"Nope just pissing." There was a chuckle. "Did you know that when you flush it takes several swirls before the paper goes down. Kind of like a carousel.”

"Clever thinking," AJ commented with sarcasim while Kevin rose an eyebrow, "Nick are you ok?"

"Yes, why wouldnīt I be?" There was surprise in his tone. "As a matter of fact Iīm feeling very fiiiineeee.

"Youīre all hyper buddy," Kevin explained with a sigh. His little brother acted like he was totally stoned and if he kept this up he would be in for a real treat later on in the night. Preforming with a *high Nick* was not something they looked forward too. Even if he was high on medication.

81 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 81

They had come back from yet another meet and greet where they had chatted and took pictures with the fans before the concert was to start. The media had been there interviewing the guys about all kinds of private stuff. 'God I wish that they can at least one person show some interest in our music and not just if we have a girlfriend or not,' AJ thought grumpily as he entered the small dressingroom at the venue. To tell the truth he was more than happy that the tour was coming to an end. Part of his bad mood was also because his girlfriend hadnīt called him back even if he had showered her with messges on her answering machine.

With a sigh he tossed today’s harvest of stuffed animals on the floor before throwing himself down on the black leather couch. "Kiddie toys! How cool is that?" Muttering he continued, "Why the hell canīt they ever give us something useful? " Picking up a brown teddybear with a red bow he said with disgust,"these just look plain stupid."

"What are you talking about?" Brian asked, his arms full with beanies, roses and cards, all gifts that the fans had been giving to them. He placed them on the table, "Aren’t you happy with the gifts that they give to you?"

"Yes very." There were sarcasim in his voice. "but I would be much happier if they could give me subscription to Playboy or bodylicking paint or even better, a night in a stripclub!"

Brian looked at him in disgust, holding a hand up he said, "Ok I donīt wanna hear about your sexual fantasies."

The younger man shrugged, "Then why did you ask?"

Not answering Brian continued, "I hope you donīt talk like that infront of the fans. Management would have a fit."

"Well screw them," AJ sneered.

"Bone!" There was accusation in his friend’s voice as well as dislike in his eyes.

"What?" AJ looked up from his study of the teddybear, "seriously B-rok, who in their right mind appreciates and collects this kind of stuff?"

"Nick."

"He doesnīt count. I said in his RIGHT mind dude." His attempt to make a joke failed when Brian showed no amusement so quickly he changed subject, "Speaking of that dude..I canīt freaking believe him!"

"Huh?" Brian raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"Didnīt you see him?" AJ groaned, "One sec he is acting like he is about to get buried ten feet under ground, moaning and stuff. He even begged us to take him to a doctor and just when I have counted him off he starts to act like a frigginī three year old kid." He shook his head,"I swear that the kid is a basketcase."

"Who’s a basketcase?" Howie asked entering the room.

"Who do you think?"

"Umm..Lou?" Howie answered the younger man.

"Close, but nope..itīs Carter."

"What did he do now?" Howie sat down next to the others leaning his head against the headrest, closing his eyes in the process.

"What didnīt he do?" AJ groaned. "Man didnīt you see the way he acted? He is high as a kite!"

"High? More like hyper," Howie stated calmly, his eyes still closed.

"High? Hyper? What different does it make? The guy made a total ass out of himself." AJ was in battle mode.

"Iīm sure itīs from the medication," Brian offered, "didnīt that doctor say that he was either going to get sleepy or hyper?" He let out a small chuckle, "didnīt we all know how it would effect him in the end? I mean after all he is Kaos!"

"Yeah but pretending to be Superman when youīre eighteen years old is a bit wierd, even for Carter!" Shaking his head he continued, "Man and the worst part is that we will have to perform with him too. The state he is in right now I wouldnīt be surprised if he actually went and fell of the stage or something."

"Oh my godness," Howie snapped his eyes open, "maybe we should really try and talk to either Johnny or Lou so he gets out of the show tonight. After all he was looking like shit earlier." It was clear that Howie wasnīt too pleased of the situation. "If he keeps up with this he will make a total fool of himself...and us."

"Now youīre not being fair." Brian was defending his friend. "He canīt help that he acts like that with the medication, beside the doctor said that he would be feeling better in no time."

"Dude, Carter doesnīt need any pills to act hyper. He is strange as it is without anything."

"Bone, he was just sharing his love."

"Love? My ass" the tatooed man grunted, "Itīs a rather strange way to show that..I donīt know about you but I donīt find it too funny that someone his weight wants to go for a piggy back ride on my back."

"He did that?" Now Howie was really showing interest, smiling.

"Yeah, you didnīt notice? Man he was attacking me from behind so I nearly fell on top of a girl."

"He did what?" Both Brian and Howie burst out laughing. AJ however looked crossed.

"He wanted me to give him a piggy back ride!"

More exploding laughter filled the room.

"Ok I donīt know what so funny but you know people can start talking, rumors, and before we know it they will call us the backdoor boys."

"Eww thatīs sick," Brian grinned.

"Whatīs sick?" Kevin opened the door, entering in the room.

"Nick being a backdoor boy."

"Huh?" Kevin’s expression was a cloud of confusion. "What are you saying?"

"Oh nothing," Howie filled in fast. "Just an internal joke."

"Oh..Ok..wathever." Sitting down the older man continued, "Iīve tried talking with Nick, but itīs like speaking to a brick wall. He is so hyped up that itīs not even funny. Lou and Johnny are scared as hell that the press will get wind of this since he acts like heīs punch drunk. Bad publicity is the last thing we need right now on top of everything."

Brian caught an irritated glare at his cousin, "Man is that all you care about? Publicity?"

"Um, what do you mean?" the dark man turned on his head, "why do you say that I just care about that?" There was a challenging threat in his voice.

"Because you know that Nick is sick and that he is acting all hyper because of the meds and all you can bitch about is what if the media founds out. Everytime Nick steps out of his bounds you get all worked up about it." Glaring at Kevin he continued, "If you really cared you would tell Lou and Johnny to stop using him all the time instead."

Now Kevin’s face was getting all red, "What? So you donīt think I do that?" Drawing back his breath he went on, "For your information Iīve tried talking to them on several occasions, but do they care? NOOO." Looking at Brian he continued, "That is alot more than I can say that Iīve seen you do lately."

"What do you mean?"

"You donīt spend anytime with Nick anymore, just sits by the phone talking to Leigh and then complaining that itīs so long before you get to see her. Canīt you see that he is looking hurt everytime you turn him down?"

"That was a low blow," Brian sounded hurt. "You if anyone knows that I both care and wanna spend time with Kaos and you know that I really miss Leigh too."

"Umm yeah,Youīre right that one was bad. Iīm sorry." There was honest regret in his tone. "Just donīt come telling me that I donīt do anything for Kaos cause itīs NOT true and you know it." With a deep sigh he continued, "I know very well that he has no business doing a concert tonight so you donīt have to rub that one in." With a tired gesture he swept a hand over his face, "but without him getting a red card I can do nothing about it. Nada."

"Calm down you guys." Howie said when things were getting really heated in the room. Both cousins glared at him, yet continued with their argument which was anything but calm. The exhaustion that came with being on tour too long was catching up with them and in turn it was effecting their mood.

AJ was the one to change the conversation, if not for the good but to a different direction and target. Trying to lit up the situation he cracked a joke, a bit carelessly, "I guess we will have to be stuck with Mister hyper after all. Letīs hope that he doesnīt do a stage dive or anything. He will crush the girls with how much he weighs." Grinning he looked at them noticing that the result didnīt quite come out as he expected. Howie stared at him with fear in his eyes, like if he wanted the words to be left unsaid. Kevin shook his head while Brian was litting on all four engines.

"Thatīs it!" he snapped. "Youīre acting like you donīt care about him at all. You just nag, saying that heīs immature and should clean up his act and that he will make you guys look bad. Canīt you see that he is having a really hard time touring? Being sick and all?”

"Chill out man, canīt you take a joke? Besides heīs not here in the room, is he?" AJ was doing his best not to get too worked up since he sensed that Brian was just as tired and troubled as the rest of them. But Mr. Littrell was ready for a fight.

"A joke? Those jokes that you keep telling him is really hurting. Havenīt you noticed? Canīt you see that he doesnīt want you cracking things about his weight all the time?" Drawing back his breath he continued, "If you really cared you wouldnīt keep making a fool out of him all the time."

This time it was AJ that got seriously irritated, "What the fuck are you saying? Do you really think that I would spend my whole fucking night.. no wait two nights..babysitting that kid’s ass if I didnīt give a shit about him?" Staring with fire in his eyes he continued, "I didnīt see YOU out there taking care of the kid when he was puking so much that it looked like his toenails were coming up, so donīt come preaching to me about caring!"

"Yeah?" Brian sneered back, "You just did it because you were using him as a chaperone so you wouldnīt get caught clubbing. So donīt come talking to me about being mr. perfect."

"Well I donīt need to sit here and listen to your shit," AJ stood up, getting caught by Howie’s hand on his arm, "Bone relax."

Shrugging the hand off with a glare he continued, "I have news for you Brian. Think what you want.” Walking up he opened the door, hissing, "I donīt give a fuck anyway." With that he slammed the door shut in the process. With a bang.

Watching his friend leave the room Howie turned towards Brian with a deep sigh, "Was that really nessesary?"

"Yes cus, whatīs the matter with you?" Kevin wanted to know, a worried frown etched on his forehead. "this is not like you at all."

To their surprise Brian stood up too, "Iīm just so sick and tired of all of you. All you think about is your own problems when someone..someone can be feeling like shit. Maybe dying or something." With that he ran out of the room too, leaving the two of them sitting with susprised expressions in their faces.

"What was all that about?" Kevin wanted to know, just getting a headshake back from Howie.

"I donīt know..but I think that Brian has been acting really moody lately."

"Yes," the older man nodded, "maybe it has something to do with him going in for surgery."

"Yes could be." Howie twisted his hands, "anyway we are in deep shit now. Two of the guys gone and the third one is acting like a drunk. What are we going to do?"

Rubbing his temples in a circular motion Kevin acted like he carried the whole world on his shoulders, "We have to talk with the Lou and Johnny. Get them to cancel tonights show." He frowned. This was not going to be easy.

82 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 82

Kevin and Howie went through the buffet line, barely touching any of the assorted sandwiches or salads, they mainly stuck to the fresh fruit and very little if any was placed on their plates. They each grabbed a bottle of mineral water and sat at the small table.

Brian, AJ and Nick were no where to be found and this had Howie and Kevin worried out of their minds wondering where any of them could be. The two were litterally at their wits end waiting for either Lou Pearlman or Johnny Wright to show up in the greenroom asking where the rest of the group was at.

It was a question that both men were scared of and weren’t prepared to answer.

“The caterer really did a nice job with the food,” Howie commented absently as he picked at the pineapple wedge that was skewered on a long stick.

As Kevin opened his mouth to reply, the knob on the door shook, and AJ stomped into the room, quickly grabbing a plate off the table. “What the fuck kind of shit is this?” he demanded as he tossed a sandwich on the plate.

“It’s called food,” Kevin announced, his voice monotoned.

“I’ve seen better shit than this......is Pearlman cutting the budget or something?”

“What are you expecting? Cracked crab every night or something? AJ it’s just something simple for us to eat before the show, be happy you get this for a change instead of McDonald’s,” Howie pointed out.

Taking the sandwich, he flung it back onto the table and grabbed a bottle of mineral water. “Well I ain’t eating this shit.”

Kevin watched AJ’s antics in digust. “You’re sure in the mood for a show tonight, what crawled up your butt?”

Taking a long drink of mineral water before he answered, AJ tilted his head back as he leaned into the couch. “I thought we were gonna try and cancel the show tonight.”

“Mr. Pearlman said it was out of the question for anyone to cancel this show. Period,” Howie stated quietly.

“Pearlman is a blow hole!”

“Well I don’t disagree with you on that, but we’ve been signed to what’s called a contract and if you forgot, you have to follow what he has set up for us or you’ll be charged one hell of a fine and frankly, I doubt any of us have that money combined to pay it,” Kevin pointed out.

“Look, it’s mister goodie two shoes,” AJ rasped when Brian slowly entered the room.

“AJ, keep your comments to yourself,” Kevin admonished. “Bri, you better eat, it’s no doubt going to be a long show tonight,” Kevin encouraged his cousin as he gestured at the table.

“I’m not really hungry.”

“Are you sick?” Howie questioned.

AJ scowled. “God, is everyone freakin sick around here?”

“What if we are AJ, are you gonna bad mouth me too?” Brian challenged.

“Christ, is this pick on AJ tonight? What the fuck did I ever do to you?”

“It’s what you do to Nick that bothers me, you are a class A asshole,” Brian grumbled.

AJ decided that a reply back wasn’t worth the effort, instead he gave Brian the finger as he took another drink of water.

“Oh that’s really mature,” Brian hissed.

“Like you’re an authority on that subject,” AJ countered.

Kevin rubbed his temples as the arguing continued with Howie repeatidly begging them to stop bickering.

The door banged open with Nick running in and slamming it after himself, panting, eyes wide. “There are thousands of them..... thousands I tell you!” He quickly switched from panic and paranoia to becoming enticed by the layout of food on the long table. “Hey! ham sandwiches!”

Howie, Kevin, AJ and Brian stared at their young brother as they watched him grab a plate and start piling the food onto it. He proceeded to sit at the table and start to shovel in mouthful after mouthful, almost as if he had been denied food for a month.

“God, this is good stuff,” he commented between bites, spraying crumbs down his shirt.

Kevin seemed a little mortified by the young man’s actions. “Could you slow it down some Nick?”

“Well looks like Kaos is feeling a little better,” AJ commented as he looked on.

“Better?” Brian asked in a shocked tone. “I’d say he’s medicated out of his mind.”

“I’m so thirsty, toss a bottle of that water over,” Nick gestured toward the table.

“Too lazy to get off your fat ass and get it yourself?” AJ growled. Instantly the hard glare from Brian caused AJ to change his words. “Um, I mean lazy butt?”

“I’ll get it myself,” Nick huffed. He pushed himself away from the table and grabbed the bottle of mineral water that had been setting in a bucket of ice, quickly uncapping it and guzzling it down without stopping. He grabbed another bottle and repeated his actions.

“Hey, slow it down with the water sport, you gonna want to piss during the show,” Kevin advised.

Nick glared at his older brother. “Who are you to say I’ll wanna piss during the show!? For your information, the doctor told me to drink lots of water and I am following doctor’s orders. Besides, I can’t even piss out what I drink anyway lately as if it would matter to you!”

Kevin leaned forward in his seat. “What did you just say?”

”I said I can barely piss out what I drink,” Nick replied in a louder voice.

“Nick, man, this could mean something serious,” Howie interjected.

“I have a fucking peehole infection, nothing new,” Nick shouted, grabbing another bottle of water.

“Nick, I think you might have something a little more serious,” Kevin said as he watched his brother down yet another bottle of water.

“Would you just lay off the kid? He said he has a peehole infection, seems like he knows what’s up,” AJ chuckled. “Besides, Amanda had a urinary tract infection and I think she had a hard time going to the bathroom too if I remember.”

The thoughts sexually transmitted disease crept into Kevin’s mind but he opted to keep his mouth shut to prevent a fight breaking out with AJ. “I honestly think that the doctor was wrong and you should lay off drinking so much water until I can get you to a hospital Nick.”

Nick wandered over to the stereo set up and plucked a CD out from the massive collection on the shelving unit and placed it into the CD player. Instantly, sounds of Journey’s Anyway You Want It started to fill the greenroom. Nick quickly started jumping up and down, spinning into a circle, arms fanned out as he danced.

“What the hell are you doing?” AJ rasped when Nick accidentally bumped into the man’s legs, falling down ontop of him. Nick clumsily pulled himself up from the floor, giggling. AJ glared at the blonde, shaking his head in disgust. “What are you on? Are you sure you didn’t get into something? You act like you’re on crack! There’s no way in hell I’m gonna share a stage with you acting like this!”

“I’m trying to get a red card for him since Pearlman is hell bent on us doing a show,” Kevin snapped.

“By sitting on your ass?” AJ snapped back.

“AJ, he can’t find him, God knows he’s tried. We’ll have to let Mr. Pearlman come in here so we can talk to him,” Howie suggested.

“Why do you people keep saying I need a red card? I’m fine!”

“You are not fine!” the four band members stated to Nick in unison.

Nick shrugged his shoulders as he made his way over to the bottled water. As he unscrewed the top, Kevin stormed over, grabbing the bottle away. “No more of this until I say you can have more!”

“What the hell is your deal man?” Nick growled as he snagged the bottle away from his brother. “I’m thirsty and I want to drink some water, and dammit I will!”

“Nicky, why don’t you lay down for a while, rest up,” Howie suggested.

“I’m not tired,” came the whiny reply.

“You look sleepy, you should rest up, besides, you were pretty sick last night,” Brian pointed out.

“That was last night...tonight I’m feeling fiiiiinnnnneeeee!”

“Are you hot Nick?”

Nick turned and looked at Howie, grinning. “Hell yeah I’m hot......the ladies like me!”

“No.....I didn’t mean hot that way, I meant are you feeling hot, you know, heated up?”

Again, Nick grinned. “You mean horney? Sorry Howie, hate to break it to ya, I’m not that way besides, I’m seeing a lady!”

Howie let out a groan of exasperation as he placed his hands to his head. “I was just implying that your face is beet red......are you running a temp?”

“I said I was fine....well, other than a headache, but hell I can take care of that, don’t be such a worrywart!”

This time it was Brian that was observing the blonde a little closer. “He’s right Nick, your face is pretty red......are you sure you’re feeling okay?”

“For the last time I said I’m fine.....stop picking on me okay?” Nick stomped off toward the bathroom, stopping by the doorway. “I’m going to the bathroom now.....do you all want to follow me in here?” He waited for a response for a few moments before he walked into the room, slamming the door behind him.

“I really don’t know what to think,” Kevin stated as he started to pace the floor. “That doctor that Pearlman sent up was a quack, I just know he didn’t know what he was doing.....I mean think about it....how many doctors make a diagnosis of something like a urinary tract infection without checking his urine or his blood for that matter? He just did this blind!”

“I hate to say this, but I agree with you,” AJ muttered as he looked over at the closed door. “He has to be sick with something more serious than an infection, I mean look at how much the kid is drinking water. Do you think he could be worse off than we know?”

“I have an Aunt Cecilia in Northport that’s diabetic, God, I hope Nick isn’t diabetic,” Howie wondered outloud.

“Why are you even thinking such a thing?” Brian demanded.

“Well I read somewhere that one of the symptoms of being diabetic was excessive thrist and an outrageous appetite,” Howie noted.

Kevin stared as Howie counted out the symptoms. “God.....that does describe him, doesn’t it? Maybe that’s what’s been wrong with him all these years!”

“I think you guys are jumping the gun here,” Brian soothed. “Maybe that doctor was right and maybe all Nick has is a rip-roarin’ bladder infection. Let’s just try and keep this in perspective.”

As Brian’s statement was being digested by the group, the sound of the toilet flushing repeatidly through the closed door pierced the silence. Brian looked at the door and back at the guys; eyebrow arched in wonder.

The door to the bathroom opened and Nick reappeared, his face sweaty and red. Although he looked like he should be resting, Nick bounded into the room, his mannerisms upbeat, a smirk was on his face. “That toilet paper thing is still hilarious.....ya know, the carousel? I could watch that all damn night! It’s so much fun when you pull the chain and listen to the whooosh!”

“You simple minded bastard,” AJ quipped as he tossed a pillow in Nick’s direction.

Nick raised the pillow over his head, poised to blast AJ back when he suddenly dropped it and headed over to the buffet table, grabbing the large bowl of potato chips. As he took a seat on the couch next to AJ, he dipped his hand into the bowl, taking out a large handful of the chips.

AJ stared at the young blonde, watching him stuff the chips into his mouth like a starving man. “Why are you eating those?”

“Because I’m hungry,” came the reply, spraying chips down the front of his tee shirt as he spoke.

“You just ate three sandwiches and salads ten minutes ago,” Kevin stated, a tone of worry in his voice.

“So?”

“Nick, put the bowl down, it’s too close to showtime!” Kevin insisted as he reached over to steal the bowl away.

Reluctantly, Nick surrendered the dish. He sat on the couch for a few moments, bouncing his knees in a fast manner, shifting around a few times, causing the leather to make farting noises. This seem to delight Nick as he snickered and continued to move around the couch.

Without missing a beat, AJ directed a slap and it hit directly into Nick’s side. ”KNOCK IT THE FUCK OFF YOU LUNATIC!”

Nick yelped and shot down to the floor, curled up in obvious pain.

“Oh shit, God Nick, I’m sorry!” AJ shouted as he quickly slid off the couch and knelt down beside Nick. “I was aiming for your shoulder and you moved on me!” “You...why did you do that?” Nick cried as he held his side.

“I’m sorry, honest!”

With precision timing, Lou Pearlman and Johnny Wright entered the greenroom. At first Kevin was ready to lunge at the managers but realizing that they were finally going to witness Nick in true pain, he calmly stood up.

“Nick isn’t fit to perform tonight.”

“Yes, I think Nick is a lot worse than that doctor said,” Howie agreed with Kevin.

“We all do,” AJ stated.

“A red card because you seem to think you can horse around and get out of a show? I highly doubt that!”

“He’s freakin’ higher than a kite on those pain pills, I’m telling you he can’t go out onstage tonight!” AJ growled.

“You can’t keep using us like animals, people are sick and you think we can just put our lives on hold to please you!” Brian shouted only to step back when the manager glared angrily at him.

“Looks fine to me, doesn’t he Johnny?”

The black manager looked down on the floor at Nick and watched as the young man got up off the floor and took a seat on the leather couch. “I guess he seems fine to me. Are you feeling okay Nick?”

“Yessir, I can do this,” Nick replied in a soft, calm voice.

“I don’t know if this is really a good idea Lou, his face does look a little flushed and puffy,” Johnny commented.

Pearlman stared at the young man and then over at his co-worker. Laughing he stated, “That’s probably because of his weight, the kid eats like a horse and it’s really starting to catch up to him.”

Kevin groaned. “I can’t believe you!”

“You better get dressed and ready boys, you have a show to do!” With that the fat manager and Johnny walked toward the door, Pearlman stopping as he opened it. “Make this show the best, we have a lot of high profile sponsors in the crowd tonight.”

As the door closed, AJ whipped a pillow at the door, it stopped with a dull thud. “Bastard!”

83 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 83

The words that Lou Pearlman had spoke to Nick only hours ago still echoed in his head, crashing against his skull like rough waves on a windy day. Pearlman did his best to once again beat his self esteem to a new all time low.

He wanted to tell the manager his excuse for what happened onstage that night, but no matter how hard he thought, he couldn’t explain why some of the things the manager said he did, he in fact actually did.

Not that he was calling the man a liar, but to be honest with himself, he couldn’t recall throwing himself on the stage floor, rolling over onto his back singing “Stand By Your Man” in acapella. If he did that, why didn’t anyone stop him?

And what about his so-called bout of dousing Kevin’s head with a bucket of water? Could he have honestly done that, Nick wondered, he knew that Kevin certainly would have decked him had he done something like that, but there weren’t any marks or bruises to indicate that he had “violated” Kevin Richardson in any way, shape or form.

To add more humiliation to the verbal bashing, Pearlman had told him that he licked Brian’s face and “titty twisted” Howie’s nipples - onstage in front of the entire audience. Just when he thought that Lou had told him everything he had done, he continued with the unthinkable - he was humping the stage floor at AJ’s feet and he had been told that AJ tried to stop him but that he had allegedly grabbed his brother’s feet only to be shook off like something ugly and despicable.

Dragging a hand through his hair hard, Nick didn’t care if he came up with clumps or not; his head hurt, he felt like shit and he wished he could be left alone to die. To him, the tour had been nothing but one complicated mess after another. He felt that he was always the one that had the bad luck getting sick or hurt.

After looking at the clock on the nightstand, Nick pulled himself gingerly out of bed, trudging toward the bathroom. Pearlman had made it clear to him that he would be expected to be at every meeting and every concert until they safely touch down on American soil. He felt so tired that he would have been happy to just curl up into a ball and throw the covers over his face.

Nick gasped as he caught his image in the bathroom mirror. Not only was his complextion flushed but his face looked puffier than the day before.

“What the hell is happening to me? This is going to be something more that I’m gonna get yelled at for.” He pawed through the tiny bathroom bag that held his personal items and medications. Pulling out the balled up tissue, he grabbed two of the tiny diet pills he had stashed. After he swallowed them dry, he stared at his face for a moment before turning away.

“I can’t even go on a diet like I’m suppose to,” he mumbled as he turned the faucet on the shower.

~*~*~*~*~*

Quietly Nick slipped through the side door to the conference room where Pearlman had directed all of the members of the tour to be at 9:00 that morning. Although he had gotten up to shower and dress, it took longer than he had planned. One of the reasons was that the nagging back pain he had been experiencing lately returned, almost bringing him down to his knees. The best he could manage at this point was standing hunched over.

The other thing that slowed his progress was the task of getting dressed. When he attempted to put his jeans on, he discovered that they were fitting his legs like a second skin and there was no way he could fasten them over his stomach if his life depended on it. He ended up throwing on a pair of navy blue sweat pants and a long sleeved tee shirt.

As Nick edged his way past some of the band, quietly taking a seat at the back of the room, Pearlman stopped his talk and glared at the boy.

Glancing at his watch he glared again. “I see it seems to always take you longer than the rest of the group to arrive ontime.” Pointing his finger at the empty seat next to Kevin, the fat manager drew in a breath. “You need to be sitting up here Nick. We can wait for you.”

Slowly, Nick stood up and picked his way through the chairs, making his way up toward the front to the desired seat. He tried to block out the stares and the whispers of the people as he went past them but he couldn’t help but notice the shocked look on his band brother’s faces, especially AJ. His mouth was hanging open and his normally reserved look was an expression of shock.

“Nick, are you feelin’ okay?” Brian whispered.

“Peachy,” he whispered back.

“Carter, I want to have a word with you after this meeting is done,” Pearlman growled, directing another glare at the blonde. Fingering through the stack of papers that laid before him, he pulled out a sheet and cleared his throat.

“Today you are scheduled to be interviewed at a Milan television station and are expected to perform two songs.” As the obese manager paused, there were groans voicing their displeasure at the agenda. He wiped his face with a linen napkin and cleared his throat again. “Under no circumstances is anyone excused from this. After Nick’s display of bad judgement last night, you have to really push the envelope and kiss some ass.”

“I kept telling you last night that he should have gotten a red card because he was sick and you didn’t listen!” Kevin shouted.

“That’ll be enough from you Richardson, I’m running the show!”

“Yeah, well you may think you’re running the show but what you’re doing is running poor Nick into the ground!”

”I SAID ENOUGH!” Pearlman boomed.

This time it was AJ that spoke up for Nick. “If you’d look past your fat nose you’d see that Nick is a sick boy. You’re not seeing the whole picture, God man, he can’t even stand up straight and you’re talking about him performing like he’s some kind of circus animal.”

The manager’s face turned a deep shade of crimson. ”What I see here that maybe you’re not addressing is a boy that has let his love of food go way beyond his limits. He’s sick because he’s out of shape and he’s been eating more than his share of food and he’s obviously been drinking now too, seeing how he acted on stage last night. Let me worry about my problems and you worry about your own McLean.”

AJ looked over at his brother. “I agree, he’s put on some weight but when you stop and think about it, the schedule you keep us guys on is anything but healthy. It leaves little time for anything but grabbing a bite to eat and then going to bed.”

Pearlman laughed. “Well maybe the boy needs to make wiser choices in his food selections and not stuff himself.”

Nick squirmed in his seat as they tossed observations about him as if he weren’t in the room. He longed to be home right now, away from everyone that would ridicule him the way the manger was and even the way his brothers were going about their defense of him. He was trying to lose weight but he just didn’t understand why he was gaining instead of losing. He had been nauseated for the past week and wasn’t able to eat much but now it’s as if even his body was against him, piling on pounds that he didn’t need.

He had been lost in his own private thoughts that he didn’t realize that the room had emptied and it was him and Lou Pearlman in the room. He swallowed nervously as he awaited the verbal assault that he knew was coming.

“Nick, your weight has gotten to the point where it’s very noticable. I’m guessing you couldn’t squeeze into your pants this morning?”

Nick pullled his shirt away from his stomach as he tried his best to sit up straighter in the chair. “N-no sir. I-I w-was in a hurry.”

“You’re studdering Nick, you and I both know it’s true. How much weight have you gained since I told you to diet?”

“I dunno, a couple maybe?” Nick’s answer was more of a question rather than a statement.

“Have you forgotten about our agreement with your weight?”

Nick shook his head negatively.

“It looks to me that you’ve forgotten. Tell me again what our agreement was.....refresh my memory.”

“Um.....you said that if I don’t lose the weight that I’m out of the group.”

“Correct. Do you also remember the other part of this agreement?”

Nick fingered the edge of his shirt as he wracked his brain to come up with the answer Lou wanted. “Um, I don’t remember.”

Lou threw his hands in the air. “You have the attention span of a house fly. What I told you was not to mention dieting or that I’ve told you to go on a diet or the stuff I gave you to lose weight.”

“Oh.....yeah.”

“Good. You have plenty of work ahead of you now I can see. Two weeks isn’t much time to get that body of yours back into shape. I expect to see some results when we return from break. Is that understood?”

“Yessir.”

Pearlman waved his hand to as if to “shoo” Nick from his sight. “You can leave now, I’m finished.”

Slowly, Nick stood up and walked toward the door. As he placed a hand on the door knob, Pearlman called out.

“Nick, can you still get into your stage clothes?”

Nick could feel the color rush to his cheeks. The question was an embarrassing one, but the truth was even more embarrassing. “Yeah, I can,” he lied and then quickly opened the door and escaped from the manager’s prying eyes.

As he walked down the hall toward the elevator, Nick unconscientiously placed a hand on his slightly distended stomach. He kept thinking it was so strange that every morning for the past week he would wake up feeling bloated and uncomfortable but by evening, his stomach was back to it’s near normal size. He had been thinking that maybe it was tied into how shitty he had been feeling lately and maybe he had caught some weird foreign bug that was giving him a hard time.

Punching the button to the elevator, Nick sighed. “Just a few more days of this shit and I’m home.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Ease up on the water, kiddo,” Kevin whispered into the blonde’s ear.

Nick jerked when Kevin spoke, spilling water down the front of himself. Rubbing the shirt, Nick looked sheepishly at Kevin and then glanced quickly around at the others that were seated in the green room waiting to be called out onstage.

“You’ve been drinking so much water lately I’m beginning to wonder if you’re part camel or something,” Howie suggested.

“That’s not normal,” AJ observed quietly.

“I’m just thirsty, no big deal,” Nick replied in his defense after he downed the last of the bottled water.

“There’s lots of causes for that you realize,” AJ continued.

Nick shot his brother a hard glare. “God.....since when is it a crime to drink water?”

AJ folded his arms across his chest. “No.....but I’m just saying you’ve been drinking a lot of water lately. I mean, c’mon Nick, think about it, how many bottles have you drank since you got up this morning?”

Nick scratched his head as he thought. “I dunno.....”

“You don’t know?”

Nick sighed as he got up to get another bottle. “Jesus AJ, like I’m gonna keep count on how many I drink!”

“Ah-ha!”

Twisting the cap off, Nick stuck his tongue out.

Kevin tried to think of something to distract the attention from the blonde. “Hey did you hear they sold out tonight’s show?” Instead of the conversation he had been hoping for, Kevin was met with the blank stares of his band mates.

AJ snapped his fingers. “How many times have you taken a piss today?”

Nick slowly slid down onto the couch, tossing an angry glare at his brother. “How about you mind your own business!”

“I’m tellin’ you something’s wrong!”

“Leave me alone, okay...... if you haven’t noticed, I’m grown up now, I’m not thirteen anymore,” Nick snapped.

As AJ opened his mouth to reply to Nick’s comment, a stagehand knocked on the door and hollered, “They’re ready for you.”

An assortment of groans and mumbled responses were uttered as the group stood up and trudged toward the door, Nick grabbing another bottle of water on his way past the table. He threw a dirty look at AJ when their eyes connected and for the first time since he had been riding Nick’s back about the water, he kept his mouth closed.

“Remember guys, be happy and do a lot of ass kissing,” Kevin reminded them in a hushed voice as they stood offstage waiting for the host to announce them.

Nick fidgeted as he stood in the back of the group. Once again, his body felt like it was betraying him. The nagging side ache and all of his joints felt like they would send him screaming off the stage. He wished that he had snuck some more of the pain medication that Dr. Angelo had given him, but Kevin had taken those away from him saying that it made him act psycho.

It wasn’t fair that everyone seemed to be out to get him, Nick thought to himself as he stared at the floor. All the accusations about him abusing drugs and alcohol and now AJ was picking on him about his drinking water. He hadn’t been drinking more than usual, had he? The weather was warm and the air was dry. Why would drinking more water be unusual? Just cause he didn’t drink beer or whiskey like some people.

His preoccupied thoughts were broken into when Howie tugged on his arm, almost causing the bottles of water to fall onto the floor.

“C’mon Nicky, we’re on!”

Once again it was showtime for the fans. Once again it was time for Nick to act carefree and happy. Once again he wished he could be safe at home in his own bedroom.

84 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 84

“God you’re such a dumbass!” AJ hissed as he ripped off his headset brushing past Nick.

“I said I was sorry man, what more do you want from me?”

“How about the fucking feeling back in my foot? You had to step on it at least five times!”

Grabbing a bottle of mineral water, Nick slouched down on the couch, throwing a white towel over his head. He craved to be alone at that moment, but unfortunately for him, the towel didn’t block out the harsh glaring lights or AJ’s harsh voice.

“Christ Carter.....we went over all the steps and we do the show night after night and yet you still screw things up.”

”Would you get off my back? I said I was sorry!”

“Whoa.....whoa, Nick I could hear you yelling above the crowd out there,” Kevin Richardson pointed out as he entered the green room, staring at the blonde’s towel covered head. “What’s going on?”

“Carter kept screwing up his steps and he about broke my left foot,” AJ muttered as he slipped off his shoe, rubbing the offended appendage.

“What happened to your concerns for Nicky?” Howie questioned as he took a seat on the couch next to his youngest brother.

“Yeah, you were certain that he had something more wrong with him and now you act like you want to bite his head off. I never understand you AJ,” Brian added sourly.

Pulling his shirt off over his head and throwing it in a corner of the room, AJ quickly stood up. “Okay, now everyone’s against me!”

“Put your shirt back on!” Kevin hissed.

“What the fuck for?”

“We have that meeting and you need to look presentable!”

“They want the whole package and I’m giving them the whole package!” AJ grumbled as he stomped off toward the bathroom.

Kevin rubbed his closed eyelids with his fingertips, sighing.

During all of this, Brian noticed that Nick remained still, only moving his hand up under the towel to drink from the water bottle. His thoughts slipped back to when AJ had pointed out that he was drinking way too much water and then he remembered that he asked when the last time Nick had went to the bathroom. As far as he could remember, Nick Carter, the guy in the band with the bladder of an ant, hadn’t made a single trip to the restroom since before that interview.

Eight hours ago.

“Nick, maybe we should use the restroom down the hall since AJ is throwing a hissy fit in this one,” Brian suggested.

“I’m fine...I can wait,” came a short reply.

“You should probably take the advantage of going now since Mr. Pearlman will be coming in here pretty soon.....”

”I said I can wait!”

Nick wanted more than ever to just get up and leave. He felt awful and now everyone seemed to be concerned about his bathroom habits. He also wanted to get out of his stage clothes since the pants and the shirt were feeling uncomfortably tight on his body.

Deciding that he needed the diet pills again, he slowly stood up and walked over to where he stashed his backpack. Fishing through the pouches, he finally was able to unearth the tiny tissue with the pills.

“Let’s go down the hall then Bri, I guess I better go now.”

Two of their bodyguards that were situated at the outside of the greenroom door, were ready to accompany the two down the hall. Brian told them when they opened the door that they needed to find another restroom.

“You had a good show tonight guys,” one of the men complimented as they walked down the empty hall.

Neither one acknowledged the comment as they continued toward the restroom door. In a ‘secret service style action’, one of the body guards went into the restroom first, checking the stalls to make sure no one was in there.

“It’s all clear.”

Nick rolled his eyes and groaned as he walked into the open doorway. He quickly walked into an open stall and slammed the door behind him. Brian took the stall next to him.

Quickly unwrapping the tissue, Nick shoved two of the tiny diet pills into his mouth and swallowed them dry. As much as he hated to try the next task at hand, he knew that Brian would be on the other side of the stall wall listening intently.

Clenching his teeth as he tried to relieve himself, Nick quickly found himself biting his bottom lip to prevent himself from crying out with the searing pains he started to feel.

Looking down into the bowl, the urine that he managed to release was rust colored instead of the usual amber color. His body was taking it’s time getting rid of the infection that the doctor told him he had. Before he managed to flush the toilet, he suddenly gasped when a wave of pain struck his kindeys.

“Nick? Did you say something?”

Flushing the toilet, Nick grunted a quick “no” in reply.

“I could have sworn I heard you sound like you’re in pain....are you sure you’re okay?”

“It’s just I still got some blood when I pee, no big deal. I guess my body is taking it’s time with the meds I’m on to cure this infection.”

Coming out of the stall, he was met with Brian’s wide-eyed stare. “You’re still passing blood? Nick that’s really serious, we should get you to see a real doctor this time....”

“We don’t have time for that, remember? We’re getting back on the bus to head for Rome, I’ll be fine,” Nick brushed his friend’s concerns off.

Brian wasn’t letting Nick’s symptoms be as easily dismissed. “I am serious Nick. We’re talking about something that can get worse.”

Stopping at the sink, Nick stared back at Brian’s reflection in the mirror as he replied. “Listen, I’m fine, if it gets worse, I swear I’ll let you know otherwise, just plan on me seeing my family doc when I get back home, alright?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Like what?”

“What are your other symptoms besides passing blood?”

Nick sighed heavily as he pulled a paper towel from the dispenser. “God Bri, I thought we’ve already gone over this.”

“Just tell me again, okay?”

“I sometimes get blood when I pee, I get headaches and sometimes I feel sick to my stomach and I have really bad backaches, it’s just like I told the doctor and he said that I have a bladder infection and I need to take some pills and remember to drink a lot of water.”

“I really have a bad feeling about this.”

“I’m fine, let’s get this meeting overwith, hop on the bus and get some shut eye. We will be over this damn tour before you know it and I’ll be out of your hair for a few weeks.”

“I’m not so sure about this....”

“End of discussion, there’s nothing for you to do about this so stop being such a worrywart and let’s get back or those guys will start spreading rumors about us being in the bathroom.”

They were met with the bodyguards as soon as they left the bathroom. “I was just about to walk in and get you two. The meeting’s been cancelled and they are waiting for you on the bus.”

Nick and Brian were quickly escorted back to the greenroom to grab their gear and then they managed to make it through the crowd of teens with the bodyguards making a path as they pressed toward the awaiting tour bus. Panic still sprung up into Nick as he picked his way through the crowd of screaming fans; his fear of being thrown against the bus seem to cloud his thoughts.

“What the hell were you doing in that bathroom together?” AJ snapped with an evil grin on his face. Not waiting for an answer, he slipped the headphones to his walkman on and walked back toward the rear of the bus to his bunk.

“He’s a sick bastard,” Nick commented, grabbing a bottle of water out of the mini fridge. “I’m gonna go to my bunk. See you when we get there.” He stopped in mid-step and turned back. “Um, Kev, do you think you could find it in your heart to let me have some of those pain meds since I won’t be in front of the public for a while in case I go psycho again?”

Kevin furrowed his brow at the young man. “Are you in that much pain again?”

Holding out his palm, Nick nodded affirmatively.

“He is, I can vouch for that,” Brian offered only to get cut off by Nick’s hard glare. “Well you are.”

With a nod of his head, Kevin gestured the younger man to follow him back to the bunk area, to retrieve the desired medication. He spilled two white tablets out into the palm of his hand and transferred the meds over to Nick. “I really hate to give these to you, they really hit you hard the other night when you took them, but I also hate to see you in pain. Just lay down and stay put until I tell you we’re there, okay?”

“Thanks,” was all that Nick before he put the pills in his mouth.

“Call me if you need anything.”

With that stated, the older man walked back toward the front of the bus. He took a seat next to his cousin and picked up the Stephen King novel he had started reading the other night.

They had gone into the drive for not even an hour when Brian finally summoned up the courage to talk to his cousin. He had waited for Howie to nod off before he could bring himself to approach Kevin. There were many things that were on his mind, but the one thing that was really bothering him was Nick.

“Kevin? Can I talk to you?”

Looking up from his book he looked at his cousin. “Sure, what about?”

“It’s about Nick.”

From his own personal experience, Kevin knew that he wouldn’t be getting back into reading his novel tonight. A talk about Nick Carter would be anything but a short conversation. “You’ve got my attention, what’s on your mind?”

“I’m really worried about Nick and I’m pretty sure that doctor that Mr. Pearlman hired to check him out wasn’t a doctor.”

“Well, I agree with you on that, but what do you think is wrong with Nick? Is there something more I don’t know about?”

“He admits his back hurts and stuff, but he told me that he is still passing blood when he goes to the bathroom.”

“It’s only been...what....a day that he’s been on the stuff for his unrinary tract infection?”

“Um, yeah, but still....he’s still got blood in his urine, that’s not normal and he’s really in a lot of pain when he was in there.”

“In where?”

Brian’s cheeks started to turn red. “You know....in there.”

Kevin sighed. “God I’m not in the mood to play twenty questions! What the hell are you talking about in there?”

“When he goes to take a leak.”

Kevin leaned back in his seat. “Oh that. Well you know that Nick doesn’t have a high tolerance for pain. It probably burns when he goes, but that’s all part of having those infections.”

Brian opened his mouth to reply when the sound of someone getting out of their bunk stopped him before he spoke. He leaned out to get a glimpse of who was walking down the hall. “It’s Nick,” he whispered.

“Probably sleepwalking,” Kevin commented, grinning.

“I dunno if it’s the lighting or what but he really does look like he’s getting putting on weight.”

Kevin ran a hand through his hair. “Now you’re starting to analyze things too much Brian.” He leaned over to see what Brian was looking at and managed to catch the blonde as he was bent over, hands on his knees, panting. “Nick.....are you alright?”

Kevin jumped up to see what the problem was. He touched Nick’s forearm, quickly noticing that it was wet in a coldsweat. “Nicky?”

The boy looked up and met Kevin’s eyes with a dark, vancant stare. Kevin had seen this look many times before and the hair on the back of his neck stood up. “C’mon Nick, let’s get you over to a chair....”

“What’s wrong Kev?”

“I think he’s gonna faint.......shit NOW!

As soon as the words escaped the older man’s lips, true to his prediction, the blonde folded up and fell onto the carpeted floor, his dead weight too much for Kevin to hold up on his own.

85 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 85 "Shit Nick..come on wake up." Kevin slapped the teen’s face several times but his actions remained pretty useless since there was no signs of waking up. "Donīt do this to us," the older man had fright in his voice,"Wake up now!”

Beside him sat his cousin hunched, looking forlorn as he fought the panic that was flaring up inside of him, "What are we going to do?"

"I wish I knew," Kevin said with a sigh, "Man if I had known that he was this bad off I would have hauled his ass to the doctor before we got on this bus. I should never had let him go."

Brian frowned, "Like you wouldīve something to say regarding this matter." Looking down at his little brother’s pasty gray complexion he added, "Nick..buddy..Frack you gotta get up now. You canīt lay here we have to move you and youīre not exactly a feather you know."

Upon hearing this Kevin shook his head, "Smart move their buddy, telling a man thats passed out that he’s too heavy to lift."

"Thatīs not what I meant," Brian defended himself then shrugged, "besides what does it matter? I mean itīs not like he can hear me anyway."

Sighing Kevin choose not to say anything, instead rose, getting ready to move his friend. "Ok, well we have to get him back to the bunk since he canīt lay here on the bus floor. Heīll get sick."

"Like he isnīt that already," Brian quipped getting an eye from his cousin. "Ok, ok Iīll take his legs then." With that he moved to help. Gasping as he felt the teens heavy body he blurted out, "Shit heīs getting heavy. He needs to loose some weight, itīs like carrying lead."

"Mmmm," Kevin agreed before adding, "Lets put him in my bunk incase he gets sick. Itīs much closer to the bathroom." Brian nodded affirmative, making lots of noises in the process.

Suddenly a hoarse voice broke the silence.

"What the fuck are you two doing? Remodeling?" It was AJ who stuck his head out through the curtains on the top level bunkbed, looking like he suffered from a serious case of bedhair and puffy eyes. "Shut up..there is people trying to sleep here," he muttered squinting against the light. Suddenly spotting the two men who laid Nick on Kevin’s bed he got fully awake. "And may I ask what the hell youīre doing carrying Nick around in the middle of the night like he was some kind of baby? What did you do? Change diapers?" He chuckled at his own joke.

"Oh shut it," Brian felt irritated over the snide remark. "What do you think weīre doing?" he hissed back before turning back to Kevin with a much nicer tone, "We have to do something to wake him up."

"Ok," AJ said when he got no reply, "Iīll re-phrase it. Whatīs the matter with Kaos? Did he get drunk or high or something?"

Brian shot him a look, "Get real." He sighed before saying, "No he didnīt get drunk or anything..canīt you see that he fainted?" Looking at AJ who seemed surprised he added with disgust, "Man you can sometimes be so stupid." With no further delay he started to take off Nick’s sneakers.

The words struck AJ in the back, making im jump down from his bunk, "Whoaa are you actually telling me that he passed out?" Twirling around them like it was the news of the day, being very annoying he continued, "I told you he was feeling off didnīt I? But did any of you dickheads listen? NOOO!!" There were a slight grin of triumph, "Maybe next time you’d learn to listen to Doctor McLean before deciding that Iīm wrong and overexaggurating."

"Ohhh Please," Kevin groaned. "There’s gonna be no next time, that I will see to."

"Awww come on, itīs Kaos weīre talking about. There will always be a next time!"

"Ok, ok Bone you made your point." Kevin held up a hand before turning back to his cousin, "Bri can you get me a wet towel. I think he’s starting to wake up."

True to his words there was a small stir on the bed.

"Sure," Brian hurried towards the small kitchenette and then yelled back, "You want me to get him some water too?"

Kevin didnīt have a chance to answer since "Dr. McLean" was too fast, "Youīre shitting me? More water? Heck he doesnīt need that since he is practically drowning in his own piss!"

Brian groaned and Kevin glared hard. "That was gross and uncalled for."

"But all so true.." AJ started when he got interrupted by that the small bathroom door opening and Howie came out with a Rolling Stone magazine in his hand.

"What in Earth’s name are you all doing up at this hour? And what is all this noise about?" Looking at AJ he said, "Why did you have to be so gross saying that Nick was drowning in his own." There were a cough, "you know.."

"Piss you mean?"AJ filled in with a grin, getting another eye from Kevin as well as a headshake, "Oh stop it, I have evidence that something is not right to prove it too."

"Since when did you start to take such concern for Nick’s bathrooms habits AJ?" Kevin asked sick and tired of the younger man’s bullshit.

"Since I noticed that there are just inputs and no outputs, especially since weīre talking about Nick here, the man that always has to be ten feet from a toilet." He stuck his toungue out at his big brother, changing his attention to Howie he continued, "Donīt tell me that you havenīt noticed how much water he drinks and how little he pisses?"

Howie shrugged. "I canīt say that I have. No!"

The younger man shook his head, "Man I tell you something is seriously messed up with this dude."

"Something?" the Latino couldnīt help but smile. "Donīt you mean everything?"

"Huh?"

Upon noticing that his jokes were not appreciated he continued in a more serious tone, "So what happened and where is the man in question?"

"He passed out."

"What?" Howie looked like heīd seen a ghost. Turning to Kevin that was checking Nick’s pulse, he asked, "Is it something serious? Should we call a doctor?"

Kevin shrugged, "Who knows? If you two dweebs could shut up for a moment so I can take the pulse I would be grateful."

"Is it strong?" Brian asked when his cousin over and over again tried to count the beating.

"Yes. But I could concentrait so much better if you could shut up for a moment so I can actually tell if he has a pulse or not." The older man was irritated.

"You donīt have to do that Kev," a weak voice piped up and they looked down to see Nick’s blue eyes staring back at him.

"Nick! How are you doing?" Kevin’s voice was soft and the others soon followed with different comments to express their concern and relief that their little brother had finally woken up.

"Yeah Kaos, youīre doing any better? That sick looking color looks better."

"Iīm ok." Nick’s hand went up to his forehead, "Shit my head hurts like a bitch."

"Donīt cuss," Kevin reprimanded him.

After the guys had told him what happened Nick looked around in the room, squinting with eyes against the bright light. "Can you turn that lamp off? It hurts my eyes."

"Sure."

Brian did as he asked to. When it was dark again in the bunk Nick added, "What are all of you doing here?"

"What do you think weīre doing?" AJ hissed, pretending to be annoyed over the situation when he in reality felt very relieved to see his brother alive and breathing again. For a second there he had been scared that there was more than meets the eye. "Weīre having a ball..what else."

"Smart ass."

AJ grinned, turning to the others, "See Kaos is getting fine again. He knows how to be a smartmouth."

The others shot him a look of disgust but Kevin was the one to make a comment, "Ha ha ha very funny." He wasnīt amused at all. Looking down at the teen he said with seriousness, "You sure that youīre really allright? I mean you still look kind of pale. Maybe we should take you to a hospital after all."

"No," Nick shook his head, instantly regretting his movement. Biting down hard on his bottom lip he mumbled, "Iīm just tired from the show and all..and my back hurts a bit too."

"Back?" This time it was Howie’s turn to add to the conversation. "I thought you said it was your head."

"Yeah that one too," Nick sighed.

"Are you sure youīre referring to the right head? AJ grinned getting a laugh back.

"Donīt say stuff like that," Nick giggled, holding his head, "Ouch my head hurts like a mutha."

"Nick!" Kevin frowned, "I said stop cussing!"

"Iīm just stating facts," Nick snorted.

Brian shook his head, not amused at all. "Kev might be right. This can be something serious and maybe you should go to a hospital. After all youīre passing blood!"

There were an hissing sound in the hair as the rest took in what Brian was saying. Nick on the other hand could have given anything for stopping his friend to end the sentence. The look he gave was ready to kill. "That’s none of your business! You mind your own matters instead of butting into mine!"

But none of the others took concern over what he said and Howie was the first one to respond, "Nicky, urinating blood is not something to take lightly. That sounds pretty serious."

"Itīs nothing," the teen shrugged,"The doctor said that itīs something that can happen and itīs just my damned urinary infection thatīs making itself known." He was not in a mood to talk about his health, infact he desperately wanted to stop the guys from nagging so much.

"Will you say itīs nothing when your kidneys stop functioning too?" AJ snarled, glaring at his brother.

"THAT was a bit overexaggurated." Kevin was coming for Nick’s defense when he saw how cross Nick was getting. This conversation was going nowhere. Turning to Brian he said, "I think you should get Johnny or Lou to get a doctor for an examination. That way we can rule out anything serious. And he can get a red card."

"God I swear you two are such mother hens. I think I can manage just fine without your interference." Nick wanted to object even stronger but somehow he didnīt find the strength to do so. "For once I agree with B'rok." AJ said, getting a confused expression from the man in question, "Oh donīt look so surprised," the rebel added, "I love ya donīt you know..Dogface." With a grin he hit his little brother in his head with the magazine.

The teen was not amused and he was trying to hit back when seering pain ripped through his stomach, making him fold over in bed. This caused Kevin to more or less bark, "Go get Johnny. Fast!"

Brian was down the aisle before anyone could twitch. He wasnīt about to miss an opportunity like this. Noticing the black manager who seemed engrossed in typing a message on his laptop he patted his shoulder, "Johnny you gotta come!"

"Huh?" The manager looked up in surprise. What was Littrell doing up this time of the night? Looking like he was scared out of his witts?

"Itīs about Nick..you gotta come..itīs urgent. He passed out and.." He didnīt have a chance to end the sentence before Johnny interrupted him.

"Damn what are you saying boy?" Standing up he muttered to himself, "That Carter kid is giving me gray hair!" Noticing the disgust in the other man’s face he added quickly, "Ok where is he?" With no further hesitation Brian lead the way as they hurried down the aisle.

Upon entering the scene Johnny instantly walked to Nick, relieved to see that he wasnīt as bad off as Brian had made it look. "Damn kid, you gave me a scare." Turning towards the oldest member he said,"Ok Richardson, spill the beans. What happened?"

"He passed out.." Kevin started but got cut off by an impatient AJ.

"Yeah and donīt forget that he is pissing blood too and he.."

The younger man didnīt get to finish before Johnny called out, "What are you saying boy? Is he pissing blood?"

"Yeah..that was what I told you, wasnīt it?" AJ snarled a bit irritated over being cut off all the time.

"Holy shit, how long has this been going on?"

"Not very long," Nick piped up as they were all looking at him for answers. "The doctor said.."

"That quack you mean," Brian interupted sourly, giving Johnny a hard glare so the manager looked away.

"Brian," Kevin had to correct his cousin.

"Well he was a quack..you said that yourself."

"Ok..ok get to the point now." Johnny was starting to loose his patience. Turning to Nick he urged him to go on, "So how long would you say that you have been pissing blood?"

"I didnīt say. Brian said it."

"Stuuupid," AJ yelled, hitting Nick with a pillow in his head without thinking what he was doing, "he wanted to know HOW long you have been doing that."

"Oh."

"God Kaos sometimes you can be a dumbfuck," AJ hissed getting an irritated glare from the rest. "What? Iīm just stating facts..donīt blame me." the rebel defended himself.

"Ok if youīre done entertaining Alexander, maybe we can cut down to the point," Johnny muttered, "So what other sympthoms are there?"

"Not that again," Nick was seriously tired of the guys always questioning him about his health. He sighed heavily before continuing, "Ask Brian I told him about it."

Johnny sighed. God this Carter kid was a handful. But he felt worried too. There were something seriously wrong with the kid and he felt sorry for him. He wasnīt as heartless as they thought and being a dad he could see that Nick was not in any shape or form to perform this last show. As a matter of fact if he could decide he would sent his ass to a hospital. He didnīt like the gray complexion or the fact that he was swollen in his face in a strange way. It couldnīt all be overweight like Lou had stated, could it?

The problem was that he was not in charge. Lou had told him that the board was not happy with the last tour and the fact that Nick had not given his best preformance. Heīd tried, heck even Lou tried to tell them that the kid had been a victim for one disease after the other but they had not bought it. The sponsors were starting to get anxious and his management had threatened to pull the plug on them as road managers if they cancelled a show. The board had even said that not ONE of the guys were to be missing. Heīd tried to talk to them, get them to understand the value off taking care of the guy’s health but when no one listened or he just got crap for it he shut his mouth for now. The sponsors were threatening to leave and without them they wouldnīt earn any money so therefore Johnny’s task was to make them happy. Even if it meant that he had to step on the guy’s health to keep the business going.

This time however he had to talk Lou into getting a red card. It would not be an easy task, but he just had to do it. There were no other options. The kid was sick for real and damned if he wanted to have Bob and Jane Carter on his case. A lawsuit stuck up in his ass was not something he favored. Especially since his gut instinct told him that something was going on. Something bad!

******************************************************

"Iīm telling you. There’s something seriously wrong with the kid and we canīt neglect it." Johnny was doing his best to get Lou to understand that he would not be in charge if something would happen with the Carter kid. No matter what, the boy was not worth geting sued over.

"The ony thing that is wrong with the kid is that he eats too much and has a bad attitude about things. If he didnīt have such a talant I would have kicked him out of the group since he is mostly a hassel anyway." Lou was not happy with Johnny’s demand that Nick should be taken to a hospital for an examination. "Besides IF the kid is sick, which I highly doubt since he can be such a good actor in getting out of things, he can go to a doctor when we get backs on American soil, which is just a couple of days away." The manager snorted, "I donīt think that the "illness" you tell me he is suffering from could be that bad, after all the kid is still eating like there is not a problem, isnīt he?" The manager pointed at the restaurant counter were Nick more or less hanged waiting for his breakfast to arrive. They had done a small stop before their arrival in Rome and the awaiting tv show that they were to attend.

Following Lou’s fat finger his eyes too fell on Nick and what he saw wasnīt as reassuring. The teen was much too pale that would be good for him and he had heavy dark bags under his eyes due to a lack of sleep. What troubled him was also that Nick looked all swollen in his face and that his posture was hunched like it hurt too much to stand up straight. The fact that he was passing blood didnīt make the outlook any better either.

If only he could get his boss to understand that if they were not careful they could be in for a sue. After all they were the one that were in charge for the kid wether they liked it or not!

"But Lou," Johnny tried, "Heīs actually passing blood and this is not something to take lightly, especially since he was in for that kidney injury a few weeks ago."

"So?" Lou snorted. "I donīt care if the kid is dying he is still NOT getting a red card. The board was very specific that they wanted FIVE guys on stage this last concert. And Iīm sure that Nick can do this last show since he will have a couple of weeks rest afterwards. That is the business. Itīs hard and if heīs being a sissy and canīt cope, he has no place in this business anyway." The manager was harsh with his words.

"So youīre saying that you donīt care if the kid collapses or not?" Johnny tone was getting heated.

"If you wanna put it like that, yeah!" Lou took another bite of his omelette, "This is really good," he grinned, "these Italians really knows how to cook."

Johnny snorted, not listening to the manager. "This is not good. First you give that kid the "laxative cure" to get his weight down and then you neglect his health when he is showing clear signs that something is not right and could be serious. Donīt you care that we can get sued?"

"Sued?" Lou let out a short laugh. He apparead amused. "Who would sue us and for what? No one knows about this story anyway.No one can be this stupid to say anything." The laughter suddenly stopped and his eyes changed like he was reminded of something and instead they became hard. "I hope youīre not thinking of telling anyone about this. Because if you are you better re-think your thoughts since youīll never know what could happen." There was threat in his tone.

Johnny’s chin dropped in surprise. "What are you saying? Are you threatening me?"

"No," Lou looked up from his food, his eyes cold. "Iīm just stating that you should watch what youīre saying since you have your own skeletons in the closet and I donīt think you want them dug out, do you?" There was a hard glare.

"What skeletons?" There were a hint of hesitation in the road manager’s voice.

Lou put the fork down, and then licked his fingers off from the grease that came from the fried chicken wings, before saying, "Let me put it this way..I donīt think it would be good publicity for you to be seen on the headlines with Mr. Playboy himself, Hugh Hefner, hugging a bunch of underaged girls in a jaccuzzi. I donīt think that this is very appropriate for a teen boyband manager and the public would not take easy upon it either!"

"Oh no," Johnny shook his head, shocked over Lou’s words, "You canīt do that. Those pics are over ten years old." Rubbing his face he muttered, "Donna would leave me."

Lou chuckled and then put his fat hand on the manager’s shoulder, "Oh come on. It ainīt that bad." Looking up Johnny shrugged away, not saying anything as the head manager continued, "All you have to do is not stick your nose into others people’s business." Shaking his head Johnny mumbled, "Youīre telling me to keep quiet so you can continue to torture the kid even though you know that he should get a red card and have no business standing on a scene. Youīre doing this just for the money!" With a snort he pushed his plate with the scrambled eggs aside, "Sometimes youīre too much."

"Iīll take that as a compliment," Lou grinned stuffing another bite of the swirling greasy bacon into his mouth. Pointing with this fork at Johnny’s plate he continued, "If youīre not gonna eat that one, Iīll take it."

Johnny looked up, snorted and then said with disgust, "Go ahead take it, Iīm not hungry. Your talk is getting me sick anyway." He folded his napkin and then said, "Iīm going out to get a cigarette. I need to think." With that he stood up and walked briskly out from the restaurant. Feeling bad that he had let the guys down one more time, but there was not much he could do since Lou had him trapped. Now and forever.

86 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection Capter 86 "Come on..come on..answer the damned phone," Nick urged, drumming his hand against his tigh nervously while waiting for the sinls to pass as well as holding a steady eye on the coins that were clicking away much too fast for his liking.

"Please donīt fuck with me," he begged feeling the panic setting in when no one was anwering on the other line. 'Dammmit donīt do this to me. I donīt have any more money on me.' The thought of having to run and beg one of the guys for some money didnīt sound too tempting. They would tease him badly, calling him a momas boy and that he kept calling home all the time. The other reason was that he had to go to the other side of the building and this was not something he could take. Not in the shape he was today!

His back as well as his stomach was giving him trouble. There were a lingering feeling of nausea in the back of his throat and he had a headache the size of Texas. On top off all of this he was in a bad mood, especially since after the last urgent bathroom visit he only managed to squeeze out a little, not at all sufficent from what he needed too and it had done nothing to lessen the pain either.

Wincing he folded over slightly as a stinging sensation shot through his lower regions. Damn this urinary infection really sucked raw eggs. As soon as he would reach American soil he would talk with his parents about seeing his family doctor and not some kind of quack that Lou seemed fitted.

Wiping the sweat off his forehead, althrough he felt a bit chilled, he gazed briefly ever so often at his watch. Shit! Time as well as the coins were ticking away. Fast. There were little time to spare and heīd go back to the others in a few. They were at a local radiostation down in Rome and he was about to go on air soon, to do a live interview with some fans that were going to ask them questions. The schedule was packed as always and he had to do both a tv show, a pressconference and a few interviews before ending the night with a meet and greet, a concert and a PR afterparty. The bad part was that he didnīt feel for any of it!

Instead he wanted to get to bed, sleep the misery away and wake up well and rested for tomorrows flight back home. He couldnīt wait to board that plane going home and spending time with his family and friends. Nick was desperatly homesick, and feeling like shit all the time didnīt exactly help the situation either. Being away two months from the one he loved and cared about was more than e could ever bare, no matter how much he enjoyed touring.

Mandy had called him the other night and after talking for hours ( Lou threw a tantrum finding out the phonebill) they had decided to get back together again. Still Nick felt at unease, mainly beacuse he never knew what Mandy would be up to. She could accuse him of being unfaitful one sec to the next telling him that she wanted them to be able to spend time with others. She was too unpredictable.

'Ok this wonīt work,' he thought defeated when he noticed that no one was at home. He didnīt have any more money so all he could do was to hope that he could at least have a few seconds, in case that they answered so they could get his phone number and call him back. Usually when he called back home it was collect call but he didnīt have any money on his refill card either to the mobil phone so therefore that option was out of the question too. Calling collect call was great and his parent could very well afford that kind of luxery since heīd supported them with an steady income. But even if his parents were well situated the same couldnīt be said for himself. He was always broke. Not that he shopped as much as AJ or Howie, no it was more that his assets were frozen and heīd recieved a small allowance each week. The Wrights and Lou were the ones that controlled his money and even if he earned alot more than others his age he was just as poor. But he didnīt complain as long as he was being able to a new videogame ever so often. His demands were not high at all.

He was about to hung up the phone when a shrill girls voice could be heard, saying his family name. It was his sister Angel. Not wasting anytime he said quickly, "Hi baby, itīs me. I dont have time to talk can you go and get mom?"

"Nick?" the tone was filled with surprise as well as a mixture of happiness and concern. "Is something wrong? Why do you wanna talk to mom?"

"Itīs nothing. I just wanna talk to her about someting. Now go and get her." He knew he sounded impatient yet he couldnīt help it as stress was starting to set in. Stress and lack of money as well as feeling like shit.

But Angel showed no signs of obeying him instead she said a bit suspecious, "What did you do now? Are you in trouble or what?"

Nick felt irritation setting in since he was in no mood of playing a game like this. Not today, not ever! A bit harsher than he expected he barked, " Jeeze how hard is it to understand? I said go and get mom!"

"God you donīt have to sound so upset," Angel said, sounding hurt. He felt bad. The last thing he wanted was to make his sister sad and he had no business being this rude but the situation was starting to get to him. Muttering something he could hear her leave the lure to go to get his mother.

Feeling in his pockets he pulled up the last of spare money he had on him and waited for the time to run out. "Please hurry," he groaned, hoping that his sister wouldnīt be too slow. When he least expected it his mothers voice filled the lure, "Nicky is that you?

Upon hearing his mother so many emotions suddenly rushed upon him. They ripped through him making it heard to breath and had to bit back the tears that threatned to spill over. Wiping away a single tear with the back of his hand he did it as fast as he could afraid that someone would see what a nerd he was. After all he was eigteen and crying just beacuse you hear your mothers is voice is NOT something a guy in his age would do. But then guys in his age was not away from home for several months in a row and lately he thought that the calls that his family made to him was becoming less and less often.

"Ye..yes...mo..mom!"

"Sweetie how are you?"

It felt so good to hear her voice that he thought he would scream. Instead he mumbled, "Iīm fi..fine," he mumbled, before adding, "I really miss you guys." The tears were close.

"We miss you too," his mother said before adding, "Nick itīs been a while since you called us. Why is that?" There were a hint of accussasation in her voice and he didnīt have to answer the question since she filled in, "Everytime we called you were either too busy or asleep."

"I was?"Nick jerked. Had they called him? When? And why wasnīt he informed? He didnīt have to wait long to get the explanation.

"Yes, didnīt you get my messages?"

"Messages?" Now he felt stupid.

"Yes the ones I left to Lou. He said he was going to let you know that I called." His mother sounded surprised, but not as much as he was.

"He did?" Nick felt upset. Lou had neglected to leave him any messages from back home. It was bad that Lou was totally running him, but controlling who he talked to and not letting him know that his mother had called was making im totally pissed off.

"Oh well honey Iīm sure he just forgot to give them to you." As always his mother was trying to find good in everthing, especially if it had to do with his manager.

"Probably," Nick mumbled not being as sure as his pears. Putting in the last coins into the slot he said quickly, "Mom can you call me back? I donīt have any spare change on me."

"Baby I wish I could, but Iīm on my way and I donīt have very much time since I have a plane to catch very soon."

"A plane?" "Yes Iīm going down to LA for a week. Aaron is going to meet some producers and he is planning a new album. Isnīt it great?" His mother sounded so happy that he didnīt want to tell her how hurt he felt about it all. She wouldnīt be there for him when he came home from being away for two months.

A feeling of being small and alone washed over him. He felt left out. Swallowing hard he said weakly, "Bu..but I will be back on sunday.."

"Honey I know that youīre disappointed but this means alot to Aaron. It can be his big break through here in the states and you donīt want him to miss it. Do you?"

"Noooo," God he never would want to hurt his little brother but still he wanted his mother to be there for him. Especially since he was ill and homesick!

"I didnīt think so either. Itīs just for a week anyway and Bob will be there for you and we will be back before you know it." There were a small chuckle, "besides you are always so jetlegged so you will probably sleep the whole week away."

"Mmmmm." There were so much that he wanted to say to make her change her mind, yet he could do nothing but mumble. Maybe if he told her that he was sick she would stay for him. " Mom..you know..I have a pain in my kidn.." A signal was heard, indicating that the money was running low and within seconds the line would be broken.

"Sweatheart I canīt hear what youīre saying." his mother was trying to outvoice the signal.

Thinking that it was futile to tell him how he really felt he instead said, "Mom I love ya and tell the others I love them too." The words were spelled out as fast as he could.

"We love...." The line was broken.

Staring at the lure he was holding in his hand Nick felt despair creep up on him. Why wasnīt his mother going to be there for him? And why wasnīt Aaron who he had missed so much during this tour?

************************************************************************************************************

He didnīt know how long heīd been sitting on the floor, resting his aching head against the wall while staring into space. Thinking about the conversation that just took place.

Suddenly a familiar voice broke the silence, "Nicky there you are! Weīve been searching all over for you. Where have you been?" Looking up through his bangs Nick was met with Howies brown concerned eyes. "Are you ok?"

"Mmmm..just pechy." He made no movement to explain where his whereabouts had been and instead continued to spare into space like he was watching something interesting, or dreaming away. He was spacing out again.

"You sure that youīre allright. You doesnīt look like it." Hunching down beside his little brother the latino took in his friends pale complexion and tired posture. "Did something happend?"

"No should it?" He shook his head, yet didnīt wantn to make any small talks at all.

"No, Iīm just wondering." Howie patted Nick lightly on his shoulder, "If youīre ok we have to go back again. Lou wanted to have a few words with us before the radio interview. There have been some change of plans."

"Oh..what now?"

What had his manager decided this time? Noticing that Howie was fidgeting in the way he always did when he got nervous he asked, intent to find out what it was, "D' what is it? Did something happend?" For a moment heīd forget all about his own troubles.

"Eh..well..uh..weīre going to do a charity basketballgame as well as concert down in Munich. One of the bands werīre going to play against is Nīstink."

"Really?" For the first time things looked up a little in his life. Beside singing, basketball was one of the things he lived for and playing a game together with some other stars would be fun as hell. Especially since he heard that his competitors were the allmighty Nīstink! Man what wouldnīt he do to wipe that smug face off that stupid singer Justin by winning over them..by lengths. " Awesome! When is this? After summer or what?"

" Eh..no not exactly." Howie fidget again.

There were something over the way D' acted that had him in for suspecion. "What do you mean? What do you know? When is it? Spill it!"

Standing up slowly Howie brushed his pants off by adding as causally as he could, knowing that there would be an effect to take place. "Itīs this weekend."

87 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 87

”I DON’T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS! I THOUGHT WE WERE GOING HOME! NOT TO ANOTHER FREAKIN COUNTRY!” Nick yelled as he pounded his fist on the table. Howie was quick to place a hand on the young blonde’s shoulder, trying to get him to calm down.

“Nick, take it easy......I’m not too thrilled about this either, but you don’t want to get Mr. Pearlman angry with you,” Howie warned quietly.

”SCREW THAT ASSHOLE!”

Kevin was next to take action with a stern look directed at Nick. “He’ll be back in here in a minute and I’ll see what I can do about this. Just sit down and be quiet, okay?”

Nick’s complextion was bright red with anger and his eyes were filled with tears. His four band mates looked on, watching him as he shredded the paper napkin that was in front of him. Brian and AJ winced as Nick kept tugging at the napkin, waiting to see what he would set his hands on next to diffuse his anger.

“Nick.....settle down!” Kevin barked as he laid a hand on the blonde’s knee when it bumped the table spilling the coffee from the mugs.

”This is a bunch of bullshit...we should be able to go home,” Nick sputtered through gritted teeth.

“I know and we’re gonna try everything we can to tell Lou that you’re not able to meet his demands and that you need to go to a doctor,” Kevin agreed.

As Pearlman re-entered the room, the tension that filled the air was thick.

“Sorry for the interruption,” he huffed as he plopped his bulk into the chair, “that was our intra-management going over the schedule.”

Nick leaned forward as if to say something when Pearlman pulled out a handerchief to mop his sweaty forehead, but was stopped by Howie’s hand on his shoulder.

“As I was saying earlier, we’ve been asked to fill the shoes of another act that was unable to perform at the festival in Munich and since we will be already there, I’ve made them an offer of doing a concert the following evening so we’ll get some good exposure and not to mention profits,” he chuckled. “Also, we will be doing a charity basketball event.”

Collective groans were heard in the room, but Pearlman acted as if he didn’t hear them. He straightened out the paper in front of him and looked the print over through his dirty glasses. “You will be playing against the new pop sensation, N’Sync and I expect 100% participation!” He paused as his gaze bore into Nick. “No excuses!”

“I’d like to say something to you about this,” Kevin interrupted.

“I am not finished speaking and I don’t recall that I was going to hear any comments from anyone,” Pearlman hissed.

In a surprise move by the oldest member of the group, Kevin leveled his gaze upon the chubby manager. “I didn’t ask for permission and I think you should listen to me for a change.....it’s concerning Nick.”

Pearlman glanced over at the blonde that was sitting hunched over in his chair, his face a shade of dark crimson. “Can’t Carter speak for himself?”

“He is much too sick to be doing anymore of this shit......all of us are sick, sick and tired of being driven like animals for your insane pleasure!”

“That will be enough from you!”

The normally calm Kevin Richardson surprised the room when he raised his voice. ”NO....I WILL NOT SHUT UP. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FAR TOO LONG! NICK IS A HUMAN BEING, NOT SOME PROFIT FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT! HE IS SICK...SICKER THAN YOU WANT TO ACKNOWLEGE!” Kevin paused for a moment, lowering his voice. “And I know about Brian too and that is just wrong what you’re trying to pull!”

“You lower your voice when you speak to me!” Lou growled as he pounded his fist on the table. “I don’t have any idea what you’re saying about Brian and as for Carter, he’s fine, he’s just a baby about everything and he seems to have wrapped you around his finger now.”

“You didn’t give me my messages,” Nick squeaked.

“I what?” Pearlman asked incrediliously.

“M-my messages from home, my mom said she left messages for me with you.”

Pearlman shook his head as he chuckled. “Who fed you that bullshit?”

“My mom.”

“I think you need to clean your ears out boy.....she never left messages with me, in fact I haven’t spoken to the woman for almost a year,” the manager lied.

“Messages aside, Nick is far too sick to be onstage or at a basketball game for that matter,” Kevin interrupted once again.

“I have to agree with Kevin,” Johnny Wright stated. “Nick isn’t well, he should at least have a red card for the rest of the tour.”

If looks could kill, Johnny would have been six feet underground at that moment. He shifted nervously in his seat when Pearlman narrowed his eyes at him.

“I don’t recall you being the head manager,” Pearlman sourly stated. “If you want to keep your job, you can keep your opinions to yourself because they aren’t of any use to this business.”

Johnny Wright wanted to defend the young men that held their trust in him, but he was too scared to stand up to Lou. He had obligations of his own to meet and to be fired as assistant manager would be financially devastating as well as place his already shaky marriage to Donna in worse shape. All he could do was nod his head to acknowledge to Pearlman that he understood his comment.

Placing the papers into a large envelope, Pearlman smiled. “I’ve made arrangements for us to be on a charter plane which will be leaving in an hour. You have ten minutes to get your suitcases and be back in the lobby in fifteen minutes.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Are you gonna be okay?” Kevin asked as he glanced over at Nick.

“Yup,” Nick lied. ’What difference did it make if he told the truth?’ he wondered to himself. In the fifteen minutes that the manager had allowed them to gather their belongings, Nick had laid on the bed as Howie helped AJ stuff Nick’s personal items into his weathered suitcase. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to help them, it was more that he couldn’t help. His body was playing it’s usual games by retaining fluid and his hands were so swollen it hurt to bend his fingers.

“He really looks awful,” Brian whispered.

“I know I look like shit...thanks for noticing,” Nick spat.

“Sorry, I didn’t think you could hear.”

“Guys, the shuttle van is here,” Johnny stated quietly. Walking over to Nick, he extended his arm out toward the suitcase that laid by the young blonde’s feet. “Nick, let me help you with your things.”

Looking up at the dark manager, Nick smiled thinly. “Don’t bother, I got it.”

Stepping away, Johnny watched as the young man tried to grasp the handle to the suitcase, failing miserably with each try. By the time a third try was attempted, Howie had reached over, picking the bag off the floor.

“I got it Kaos, c’mon.”

An uneasy feeling washed over the black manager. He knew he had lost his trust with the young men and he doubted he would be able to regain it....at least right now he couldn’t. He could see it in Nick’s face that the young man was clearly sick; too sick to preform. He needed to be tended to by a real doctor and not some ‘wet behind the ears’ physician that Lou Pearlman had cheaply bought off.

The dark circles under Nick’s eyes conveyed that something was horribly wrong. His eyes, the puffiness of his face and hands as well as his stomach told Johnny that this was something more than the boy getting heavier. This was much more than a bladder infection. But what more could he do without running the risk of losing his job?

“There’s no bathrooms on that plane so Carter, you better ease up on the water,” Pearlman advised as the group took their seats in the van.

Nick ignored the manager, gulping the bottled water down like a man that had been walking for days in the desert.

“Jesus Nick, how many have you drank so far this morning?” AJ questioned with a concerned voice.

Nick replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

This time it was Kevin that was questioning with concern. “How many have you seen so far?”

Rubbing his chin, AJ replied. “Since I’ve been awake I think I’ve seen three or four.”

“That’s alot of water Nick,” Howie remarked.

Brian jerked. “How many again?”

“I’m just thirsty,” Nick defended. “Leave me the fuck alone.”

“That’s enough of the cussing,” Pearlman growled. “Leave the boy alone, he’s going to pay for it with his misery when he needs to piss on the plane and there won’t be a toilet.”

“Okay, that’s at least 48 ounces of water, how many ounces are in a gallon?” Brian wondered outloud.

“God...he’s drank almost a gallon of water in less than three hours,” Howie mumbled.

“That’s not good Nick,” Kevin acknowledged, a tinge of panic in his voice.

“And you’ve been to the bathroom how many times today?”

“Are you the fucking hall monitor? Jesus, leave me alone,” Nick spat.

The rest of the ride to the airport was in silence with Nick nursing the bottle of Evian and Kevin and the other bandmembers exchanging worried glances over at Nick.

“You’ve got five minutes to use the facilities,” Pearlman growled as the van pulled into the circular drive of the airport. “Carter I would expect you use this opportunity.”

“C’mon Nick, let’s go,” AJ motioned as he made his way into the airport terminal.

“I don’t really hafta go though,” Nick mumbled as he followed.

Brian nudged his friend’s shoulder. “Just c’mon.”

“You know how sick this sounds?” Nick questioned.

AJ grinned as he looked back at Nick. “You’re the one with the sick mind, bro.”

Nick balked when they entered the restroom. He had forgotten that it was a public restroom meaning that he would be standing next to them when he tried to force out what little he could from his bladder and no doubt release a reddish tinged stream of urine if he was successful in his attempt.

Without hesitating, he quickly darted into a stall, opting to shy away from the urinals that lined the tiled wall.

“Since when did you become so shy kid?” AJ questioned when the metal door clanged shut.

“I don’t like audiences, thank you very much,” Nick grumbled.

“I’m not a pervert you asshole,” AJ sputtered.

“Yeah but I know you guys are gonna watch me pee and I’m really not into that kinda crap.”

Nick stood in front of the toilet for a long time trying to concentrait on forcing out any amount of urine from his bladder. He was puzzled that the release wasn’t coming as fast as he hoped. It was starting to worry him a little that he had drank over four bottles of Evian and he, the one who had been labled as the guy with the world’s smallest bladder couldn’t manage to push out more than a small stream of urine.

“Did you fall in?” AJ cackled.

“I’ll be done in a sec,” Nick snapped.

Looking into the bowl, he was happy to see that at least this time the urine wasn’t bloody, it was dark, but it wasn’t bloody. Much to his disappointment, the strong back pain came back.....it seemed to always come back stronger everytime he attempted to empty his bladder. Not that the pain had ever left him to begin with. Nick bit his bottom lip to stifle a cry as his eyes began to water.

“Nick? Are you okay?”

Nick could hear the sound of concern and slight panic that was in Brian’s voice. “Yeah,” he mumbled, quickly flushing the toilet to end the topic.

AJ being the wonderful person he was, tried to make light of the situation when Nick opened the stall door. “Did you catch your little trouser mouse in your zipper?”

Nick smiled paley. “It’s not little and it’s more like an elephant’s trunk.”

AJ lowered his sunglasses as he peered over them. “So you did nick the little fella?”

Nick groaned in reply. “No I didn’t zip anything, it’s kinda hard to do that when I don’t have a zipper.” He lifted his shirt to show the top of his windpants.

“Oops, guess I didn’t notice,” AJ sheepishly replied.

Nick followed AJ and Brian back to the waiting group, walking in a hunched over manner. Kevin picked up on his mannerisms.

“Are you hurting Nick?”

“Not more than usual.”

“Did you take your antibiotics this morning?”

“Yes mom, remember you gave them to me?”

“Oh, yeah that’s right,” Kevin smiled, ignoring AJ’s grin.

“Boys follow me, the plane is waiting,” Lou Pearlman barked as he waddled toward the exit that lead to the tarmack.

Nick stopped. ”That is not a plane.”

Kevin wrapped a fatherly arm around Nick’s shoulders. “It’ll be alright buddy, it’s a quick flight.”

“I’m not going on that thing.”

The three other bandmembers were standing at the bottom of the stairs that led to the tiny aircraft. “What’s the holdup?” AJ yelled over the engine as he looked back.

“Nick’s scared,” Kevin yelled back. He leaned over. “Nick everything will be fine, you can sit next to me, okay?”

“I doubt there’s any seats,” Nick mumbled.

“C’mon, you’ll be fine,” Kevin encouraged as he pushed Nick forward.

“Let’s hope so,” Nick muttered in reply.

Reluctantly, Nick allowed himself to be led toward the small charter plane. His fear of being called a wuss outweighed his fear of a plane crash.

88 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 88 Brian Littrell had never been much of a flier. It wasnīt that he became motionsick or anything, no it was more the feeling of being thousands of feet above the ground in a tin can that made the hair on his arms rise a notch. In other words he hated heights! Anything that had to deal with being on heights made him search for an escape route, this was including roller coasters. During the past years there had been number of roller coasters heīd begged off since for some strange reason lots of reporters as well as management had a love for those hated things. Heīd been told that the reason why they often wanted to do a photoshoot at a fair or carnival was because it was "cute" to do shoots with the guys screaming in a roller coaster. Brian didnīt know what preferences they had for "cute" but whatever it was cute wasnīt the first word that popped into mind. The same went for Nick who became motionsick in fast moving vehicles that moved and bumped into things including flying. Nick on the other hand always tried to toughed it out, not wanting to be different. Brian himself could care less.

The feeling of being out of control, not being able to get off whenever you wanted, was what scared him and it was this feeling that sent him hugging the armrest perticularly tight before take off and landing. In between those situations he was pretty comfortable, or at least as comfortable someone could be that swirled in the sky.

Looking to his side he caught a glance towards the seats that were occupied by Nick and Kevin. Unlike him, Nick was often seated by the window, why Brian had no idea since the last thing someone that hated to fly wanted to was to look outside. Brian suspected that much of his friend’s dislike for planes came with him being restless and often motionsick. Not a good combination at all. This time he sat by the aisle, unusually still. Judging by the painfilled look in his blue eyes Brian sensed that he was more scared and sick than he let on.

His pale face was totally drained of color. Coldsweat poured from his pores like water, soaking his white sports shirt in his back so it looked like heīd been sprayed by a garden hose. His blond tousled hair laid plastered to his skull like a cap and to Brian it looked like he was on the verge of passing out any second now. He felt concerned.

"Nick buddy, you hanging in there?" His question was not returned. Instead Nick kept staring infront of him at the blue texture, mumbling through pinched lips over and over again, like a mantra, "Please let me make it..please God." His hands gripped the armrest in a deathgrip so bad that his knuckles became white and for a moment Brian feared that the blood circulation had been cut off. Kevin who caught his eye shook his head in dispair. Putting down his morning newspaper he shook his head and with a worried expression mouthed, "Not good, not at all."

Brian nodded. No more words had to be said. Besides the plane was starting to taxi down the runway and he had to prepare himself for the departure. As the plane started to pick up height there was a loud gasp heard from Nick’s seat. It was no doubt that the kid felt very uncomfortable. A flair of regret that he hadnīt pressed more about sitting next to Nick crept up on him. Usually he managed with small conversation cheer his friend up and make him feel more at ease. This time however they had decided that it was best that Kevin sat next to his younger brother since they were certain that he would be in for a round of motionsickness and his cousin was better in taking care of those situations. To tell the truth Brian hadnīt looked forward very much to sitting next to the sick teen, so he had gratefully accepted the offer. Sitting next to someone spewing their breakfast was not his cup of tea. Even if that someone was his friend.

Now he felt like he had to do something. What, he didnīt know. This madness had to stop. Nick needed to get some rest and not run around half the world in this kind of condition. But did the management listen? No!

Brian searched for a few comforting words that would tell Nick that heīd acknowledge his pain as well as it could ease some of the discomfort his friend was feeling. Reaching out to touch Nick’s hand he noticed that it was cold and clammy. This concerned him even more. "Dude," he tried to make his voice as firm and cheerful that he could. "This is going to go just fine. Just realax." The words held little result. The teen kept staring ahead of him, still in his own world. But Brian didnīt give up his hope. "Frack I know that you donīt like this, but everything is going to be ok. Weīll be landing in Germany in no time. Trust me."

When Nick still made no move to answer he looked at Kevin for support. The older man instantly picked up the tread as he said comfortingly, "Yes little man. Bri is right. We will soon be at the hotel and then you can lay down and rest some. Donīt you worry." His voice was soft and filled with concerned. And Brian could tell by the constant wrinkle that was on the older man’s forehead that he was worried over Nick’s faltering health. "Try to sit back and relax and Iīm sure youīll feel better." His hand gently rubbed Nick’s arm up and down, hoping to lessen the distress.

But the teen was in no state or mind to listen. "Donīt you see? This plane is too small and weīre going to crash." There was genuine fear in is eyes when he uttered the last words, shakily. "Weīre going down. I just know it!" A violent shiver ran down his spine making him grip the armrest even tighter. Swallowing hard he stiffled a sob that tried to escape.

Just looking at Nick one could tell that he was furiously battleing waves of nausea and judging by the thin sheet of sweat that covered his forehead it wouldnīt be long until the airsick bag in the front pocket would be put into good use. It was just a matter of time. Intending to warn his cousin about the upcoming event he said with a firm tone, "Kev!" and then nodded towards the front pocket when the bandmember picked up his attention.

But as always Kevin came prepared. Holding up the brown bag he saw that once again his cousin was ahead of time. Brian never ceased to be amazed that no matter what situation they were in for it was like Kevin had the gift of always knowing what to do. Even if he knew that deep inside the older man was just as unsure as the rest he held cool and calm front to everything. This was something that had mainly developed through out the years even if he held some of it before too. Brian watched as his cousin continued to rub their little brother’s arm and whispering smooth comforting words. He had to smile. The way Kevin went on he would be a great dad someday, when he slowed down and realized that his longtime on and off girlfriend Kristin would be the one for him. But the time hadnīt come yet.

Suddenly the plane started to shake violently and he had other things on his mind than watching his two friends. They were starting to experience turbulence. Closing his eyes he did his best to block out the bad feeling that welled up inside him. In situations like this heīd learned to think positive to block out any unpleasant thoughts and like out of nowhere the love of his life; Leighanne appeared in his mind. She was smiling to him and that made him feel better, more relaxed but at the same time very homesick.

It wasnīt easy to have a long distance relationship that was buildt on phone calls, emails and short visits. On top of everything Lou and the management had decided that no girlfriends were allowed to tour with them since it could be bad for the business. The fans needed to think that the five heartrobs were single, even if it was just Howie that was that at the time. That way they sold more records. Brian hated to lie in interviews and say that he just dated around. He didnīt like the look on happiness on each girls face when he told them that he was still available, mainly beacuse he was lying but also because heīd found the right one. In Leighanne.

Even if heīd only dated Leigh for less than a year he knew that she was the right for him. She was the one that he wanted to spend his future with, she was the one that he wanted to marry and have children with. Not just yet.

Brian counted the minutes until he would be back in the states and spend some time with his friends and family. He and Leighanne had already made lots of plans and he felt devistated when Lou’s desicion to prolong the tour three more days came on and the charity concert couldnīt have come in a worse time than this. Still he knew that there was no use in complaining since he would soon be joining Leighanne and they could spend some serious time together. There were just one hitch;

His upcomming open heart surgery.

Heīd done his best to set those dark and disturbing thoughts aside but the fact remained that he would in a little over a month, undergo extensive surgery and it scared the living daylights out of him. What if something went wrong? What if he didnīt wake up?

He hadnīt talked much about the upcoming event with the guys, only to Kevin who kept asking him how he was doing and telling him to take it easy like he was some kind of cripple. Whenever the surgery had been mentioned he could see the hurt in his friends eyes, especially Nick’s, and he didnīt want to burden them more than neccessary. Besisdes all of them seemed to have their own problems.

A hand touched his arm, jerking him back to reality. "You ok man?" Howie’s warm brown eyes peered into his, questioning.

"Mmmm..Iīm fine." He smiled reassuringly towards Howie who didnīt look like he believed him.

"You sure? I mean it looked like you were very far away in your thoughts. Itīs Leighanne isnīt it?" It was so much like Howie to ask something like that, being concerned for everyones well being. He hit the nail on the head.

"Um..yeah." He stretched in his seat. "I wish this tour would be overwith soon. I canīt wait to be back and see my family again."

A sigh was heard. "Yeah I know what you mean. Itīs been more than two months since we last saw them."

"And thatīs a long time being you D'," AJ grinned.

He was dead right. There was never a day passing without Howard Dorough calling at least one of his family members or friends. The funny part was that the Latino would get a big smile on his face whenever someone mentioned this. Not at all embarrassed, instead D' took great pride in taking care of his family. Through endless nights talking, Brian knew that Nick felt the same for his family. It was just that the affection wasnīt turned back as easily. They were often too busy to take time to either call or listen to what the teen had to say so he often ended up empty handed. This was not good since Nick needed them so much more than they could ever imagine. The lack of support he found in his family he often made up by talking or clinging to the guys, except during this tour. It was like something was really bugging their little brother and Brian couldnīt put his finger on it. Whatever it was it didnīt do him any good.

"I guess we just have to wait this weekend and then we will be back home by in a few days. I think we can mangage, right?" Howie flashed a toothy white grin.

"Mmmm..yeah we should be fine." Brian nodded in agreement. Three more days was something he felt that he could handle. Couldnīt he?

"Speak for yourself," AJ added, getting confused expressions back. He pointed with his finger towards Nick’s side and then declared, "because Kaos sure as hell ainīt!"

Bone was right, Nick was far from ok. He had his head in a brown paper bag, making good use of it while Kevin rubbed his back in small circles, saying comforting words. Suddenly the silence broke with Nick belching loudly and it sounded so disgusting that Brian involuntarily let out a loud, "Ewww Gross!!!" He felt a bit guilty for his outburst since is friend couldnīt help it and there was no toilet on the plane that he could use either. Still watching other people barf always turned his stomach inside and out in disgust.

Kevin shot him a hard glare before turning back to the shivering teen, "Itīs ok Nicky. Donīt listen to him, he’s a jerk." He gave Brian one more eye before adding. "Youīll feel better once you get that stuff out of your system."

Brian fidgeted uncomfortably. He didnīt mean to act like that but the smell that covered the small plane didnīt exactly remind him of roses and he had a hard time dealing with the turbulence anyway. Breathing through his mouth he did his best to block out the unwanted smell. This had Kevin getting even more irritated. "For Gods sake Brian. Heīs just airsick, not carrying the Bulbonic plague or something."

Brian felt hurt and he could hear AJ laugh in the seat behind him. Howie just shook his head like he didnīt want to be dragged into this argument.

"If you think itīs that disgusting then look the other way," Kevin snarled when Nick heaved violently again. Not wanting to miss the oppurtunity Brian quickly looked the other way. He felt bad since he knew that this was not the right time to let his friend down and instead of acting like a sissy he should give support. Still it was too much to handle and not something he could control either. Especially being cooped up in a small stuffed airplane with barely no air conditioning. It was making him feel clausterphobic and he would have to appologize to Nick later on. And knowing Nick, he would just laugh it all away. Saying that he understood.

The tension hung low in the air and Howie was the one that tried to break the conflict that was becoming apparant between the two cousins. "You need any help Kevin?" All he got from the older man was a snort, the body language said it all.

When Nick showed no sign of getting any better AJ was the one to bark out. "This really sucks! Kaos has no business running around the world feeling this crappy. And I tell you guys he is in no shape to do a concert, much less to play B'ball. Not the way he is hurling away. He would stink on court and make a mess of himself too," AJ pulled his glasses down, "Not to mention getting his ass beat by the Nīstinks!"

The words spilled out had him very upset. So this was what AJ thought of Nick? That he was useless and all he would do was to make a mess out of himself OR the band. AJ could be pretty blunt but saying these words to someone he knew was sick and couldnīt help it was over his limits. "Is that all you care about? That he will make us look bad? That we will loose?"

"No!" AJ shot a glare "I didnīt say that, did I?"

"Yes you did!" Brian turned over the seat to look at the other man. "You said he would stink!" They were all tired and not much was needed for the situation to get fired up.

"Youīre sick!" AJ made no further attempt to get into an argument with Brian and instead he turned to Kevin, "Iīm telling you. Something is seriously messed up with Kaos and Iīm not talking about his head either since there I know there is no cure." He chuckled lightly.

The joke didnīt fall into good soil since Brian shook his head in disgust, "And youīre calling ME sick?"

Ignoring the comment AJ called out with genuine surprise, "Whoaaaa..I didnīt know that someone could fill up an airsick bag THAT fast!" This time it was his turn to utter his contempt, "Gross!!"

Both Brian and Howie had turned an ugly shade of green, "Man Jay how disgusting can you be?"

"Very and donīt temp him," Kevin commented from his side of the plane. He frowned when Nick too weak to say or do anything, leaned against the headrest, eyes closed, waiting for the next attack to hit him. He looked like death warmed over and to Kevin’s despair it seemed like he still wasnīt out of the woods . His system showed no signs of slowing down.

"Yeah D' donīt tell me that you donīt now that alreadty. After all itīs Bone weīre talking about here." He grinned. This was the guys as he had grown to know them. Each and one of their personalities were different and they were often joking, laughing but also fighting and getting into arguments. Just like brothers.

AJ shot him a finger.

Brian grinned back. They fought with love, or like kids as Kevin would put it. He looked at Nick and Kevin’s place waiting for the older man to shoot some sneer remark but Kevin was busy playing nurse. "You think youīre done?" his cousin asked before taking away the airsick bag. A short nod was returned. "Youīre gonna be ok?" There was doubt in his voice as he handed the blonde a tissue to wipe off his mouth with.

"Mmmm..Iīm fine." Nick let out a deep sigh before adding, "M'sorry." A red flush of embarrassment appeared on his pale cheeks.

"For what? Itīs not like you can help it or anything?"

Nick looked up with watery eyes, "Thanks for helping me out when I feel this shitty." He smiled paley, "I have no idea what I could have eaten that would make me this sick." Wiping his sweat off his forehead he looked like he was about to keel over any second now.

"No kidding I could have swore I saw some breastmilk coming up."

"AJ!" Both Brian and Howie called out in unison. "Did you have to say that?" This was so much like Bone to have to be a smartass in tense situations. Brian knew it wasnīt meant to be mean, no it was more that when the situations were pressed he tried to joke the feelings away. Brian knew since he often did the same. Today however none of them had the energy to pick up his vibes and instead the younger man was getting annoying.

"I told you not to tempt him," Kevin said with a sigh. He sounded tired. "Knock it off. Canīt you guys see that Nicky is miserable enough as it is?"

"Chill out man, I was just stating facts," AJ pouted, acting like a three year old. The battle of words was on and for a moment Brian and AJ, with a little help from Kevin discussed who was the most immature of them. Howie mostly watched for his side, adding a few words here and there.

A sudden groan came from Nick. Pressing a hand to his stomach he mumbled, "Oh shit it hu..hurts." His face was scrunched up in pain. This stopped the converstation abruptly. Everyone turned their attention to teen, expecting him to tell them what was wrong. Noticing this Nick felt embarrassed. Blushing he murmured, "Itīs nothing." He tried to sit up straighter in his seat. "Iīm sure itīs just gas or something."

"Bullshit!" AJ burst out. "I donīt believe for a second what youīre saying. Here youīre practically rolling with pain and when we ask you what the problem is you say that itīs just a bad fart. Itīs complete crap."

"Not crap AJ, gas." Brian knew it was not well fitted to say so, but he felt the need to lighten up the situation a bit.

"Ha ha ha, not funny," AJ retorted back with a snort.

A small smile could be seen on the blondes face. The first one for what felt like ages. "Well Nick seems to think that it is, right Frack?" Brian did his best to cheer his friend up, even if it meant that he had to use cheap tricks. But there was no answer since another spasm shot through his friend’s body; the worst of them all.

"What? Where does it hurt?" Kevin urged, trying to get Nick to take his hand off his stomach so he could see what was wrong. "Come on Nick you gotta tell us.

"Yes Nicky, you have to eleborate with us." The rest of the guys were showing concern now.

"Is it that urinary infection?" Howie offered.

Not inclined to answer, Nick shrugged away. "No..No..leave me alone. It hurts too much." Moaning, he rocked back and forth. Suddenly he bit his hand to stop himself from crying out loud since another violent spasm wracked his body. Tears welled up in his eyes since another cramp made itself known. "I wanna get off," he moaned. "Oh God!"

Now Brian felt panic. Heīd seen his friend sick so many times during the past years that heīd stopped counting them, yet he had never seen his friend this bad off. Something was terribly wrong and Brian was fed up with the management ignoring the signs. He was sure that if Nick’s family found out how badly their son had been treated, they would sue Jive and the whole management team. But for some strange reason, Nick didnīt want anyone to know. And now this was going too far.

"Thatīs it. Iīm going to talk to managment. Nick belongs at a hospital, not here." With that the Kentuckian resolutely stood up. "And if they donīt listen, Iīm calling your dad Nick. He needs to know that youīre this sick.

"Good idea," AJ agreed, "Iīm coming with you. This crap has to stop."

The words must have hit wrong since Nick’s eyes shut up instantly, looking like a deer caught in headlight. Panicking. "No..No donīt.." He fumbled after Brians hand, "Donīt talk to them." Biting back a small moan he continued, "Youīre just going to make it worse."

This line had all of the guys picking up the attention. "What do you mean?" Kevin asked suspeciously. "Is there something that youīre hiding?"

"Yes Nicky what is really wrong with you?" Howie wanted to know.

The teen fidgeted uncomfortably, all eyes turned at him. Putting on a fake smile he did his best to regain his posture, "No, Iīm not hiding anything..itīs just..just that there’s no need to bother Lou beacuse I have to.. have to p..pee." His face turning red like a lobster.

"Oh!"

"Pee? You have to pee?" AJ busted out. "Is all this pain beacuse youīre dying to take a leak?" A smile of relief crept upon his face.

"Yes." Nick tried to chuckle but it all came out in a moan. "Iīm about to burst."

Not believing him, Brian reluctantly stayed down. "Didnīt you go at the airport?" He waited for Nick to tell him what was really bothering him. Something said that Nick was having more problems than he let on when it came to urinating. But he also knew with Nick’s stubborn personality he’d rather let hell freeze over before he confessed something like that.

"Yes..but..but I still need to go." The teen stuttered, much too embarrassed to talk about such a thing with his friends.

"Well then you have to hold it," Kevin stated as a matter of factly. His tone wasnīt irritated instead it sounded more beat. "Nick you knew that there would be no lavatory on this trip so you shouldnīt have drank so much water."

"Could I help it that I was thirsty?"

"Yeah but six bottles of water?" AJ shook his head, "And now youīre surprised that you have to take a leak?"

"Youīre not a kid anymore you know."

Nick shot his friends a look of death before closing his eyes, "Leave me alone." Mumbling he continued, "God I wish I had never told you guys anything." With that he pulled his jacket closer to his body like a protection, trying to shy away from the discomfort he felt inside him. Making clear that he didnīt want to talk any more. Subject closed.

89 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 89

Sitting in the hotel room with Nick, Kevin couldn’t help but stare at the sleeping blonde, making mental notes on his appearance. The young man had been in so much pain during the flight that Kevin had no other choice but to give Nick a couple of the pain pills. He had been preparing for Nick to start bouncing off the walls when the medication took effect but was shocked when he crawled into bed and fell asleep immediately.

Running a hand through his thick, dark hair, Kevin sighed. Maybe with the urninary tract infection coupled with Nick having an urgent need to relieve himself created the increase in pain. He leaned his elbows on his thighs and cradled his head in his hands.

Kevin had only closed his eyes for a moment when a moan from Nick jarred his thoughts and he immediately looked over to see if the boy was waking up. He was satisfied when he saw that Nick had only rolled onto his back, eyes still closed. Nick starting pawing at the covers, his brows furrowed in frustration. Thinking that he was trying to pull the blankets up, Kevin quickly stood up to take care of the problem. Just as he finished, a soft knock came from the door.

Fearing it was fans on the other side, Kevin was relieved when he saw Brian’s face and quickly pulled the door open wide enough for his cousin to pass through.

“I thought I should stop by and see how Nicky’s doing,” Brian explained as he walked past.

Closing the door, Kevin followed Brian into the room. “He’s sleeping.”

Brian looked down at his best friend for reinforcement. “That’s good......so he’s not hurting anymore then I take it?”

Taking back his seat, Kevin folded his arms across his chest. “Probably not since the vicodin kicked in.”

Brian glanced over at Kevin. “Okay it must be pretty bad since I know you didn’t like how he acted on that stuff and you swore he wasn’t getting anymore. Kev, I really think something more is wrong besides a urinary tract infection.”

“Calm down.......you know how Nick doesn’t have much of a tolerance for pain? I’m sure his body is a little more sensitive to this than most people are.”

Just as Brian opened his mouth to reply, knocking was heard.

“Good God this must be Grand Central Station,” Kevin breathed as he pulled himself out of the chair. As the door was pulled open slowly a tattooed arm pushed against it, pinning Kevin between the door and the wall.

“God, couldn’t you let us in a little faster?” AJ rasped as he sauntered into the room, Howie following behind him looking over at Kevin apologetically.

“It’s my room so it’s my choice whether I let you in or not Aje,” Kevin snapped as he slammed the door closed.

Howie sat on the edge of the bed, touching his brother’s blanketed leg. “Hey Nicky, how are you feeling?”

Upon hearing Howie’s question, Kevin’s shoulders dropped. “Shit did I wake you up Nick?”

Looking up at the Latino, Nick’s eyes flicked from his face to each of the men standing in the room. A puzzled look crossed his face. “Why are you guys here?”

AJ sat in Kevin’s chair, tossing his legs onto the bed as he adjusted his body. “Cause we care kid,” he replied, pulling the tab on the beer can.

Brian scowled when the beer foamed out through the opening; AJ noisily sucking the frothy foam from the lid.

Nick frowned, “Don’t get that on my carpet asshole!”

“I’m sure housekeeping will take care of it,” AJ grinned.

“I don’t have her anymore.”

This time it was Howie that wore a confused expression. “What are you talking about Nick?”

“Earth to Kaos......quit acting like you think you’re home,” AJ said as he shook his head.

“Don’t you remember getting out of the van?” Kevin asked.

Nick put a hand up to his sweat soaked head. “Oh yeah.....sure.”

“Where are we then?”

Nick gingerly turned onto his side, pulling the pillow over his head. “Stop asking so many damn questions.”

Kevin and Brian exchanged puzzled glances.

“Nick, are you sure you know where you are?” Howie questioned quietly; alarm evident in his voice.

“Yeah I know where I am,” came a growl from under the pillow.

AJ cocked his head to one side. “Enlighten us then kiddo.”

Thinking a moment before he answered, Nick tried to come up with where he was. He knew that since they said he wasn’t home, he had to be on the road someplace. “I’m in a hotel......leave me alone now.”

“Okay, you score one point but where is the hotel at?”

“Leave me the fuck alone!” Nick snarled.

Brian stared down at the lump under the covers, shaking his head. “I really don’t like this...”

“Maybe it’s the vicodin---”

AJ started snickering. “Oh that’s gotta be why Kaos is more spaced out than normal....he couldn’t handle drugs---”

“Wouldyoujust shut up about drugs!” Brian shouted.

“Everybody get out of my room!"

“C’mon kid, don’t take us seriously, you haven’t before,” AJ playfully teased as he leaned over and tugged at the blankets.

“I swear to God if you don’t stop and let go of my blanket I’m gonna---”

“Kick my ass? C’mon out from under there, I’d like to see you do that!” AJ challenged, ignoring the glares from the rest of the men.

The covers flipped off and Nick slowly sat up. Ignoring AJ and the rest of the guys, he padded over to the bathroom as fast as he could manage; all eyes following his movement.

AJ smirked. “At least I got him out of bed.”

“He needs to be resting,” Kevin advised.

“I think he should be resting through this whole cooked up mess,” Howie agreed.

“Yeah but will Mr. Pearlman see it the way we do?” Brian questioned.

“All fatass is gonna say is that Nicky has that infection and he can work,” AJ stated lifting the beer can to his lips.

“Aje.....we have a ball game in a couple of hours, don’t you think you should lay off the booze?”

“Kevin stop being a worrywart about everything, I know my limits!”

“I don’t care about limits, I’m more concerned about the smell on your breath.”

The ringing of the phone abruptly stopped the conversation.

Kevin quickly lifted the receiver, the rest of the band members listened to his side of the conversation. “Yeah.......yessir........no, no sir.............but I really think that Nick should sit out...........yes.....yessir......okay.....they’re all with me......” As he hung up the received, Kevin ran a hand through his thick hair. “Pearlman said we have to be down to the hotel lobby in fifteen minutes. The game was a little earlier than what he had down on his schedule.”

“Is he letting Nick off?” Brian questioned.

Kevin shook his head. “No, he expects all of us there.”

“How about we just don’t allow Nick to come?” Howie wondered.

“He said he’d personally make sure we were fined so much money our heads would spin and we’d be working for him for the rest of our lives to pay it off.”

“This is insane,” Brian grumbled. “I’m gonna go talk to Johnny about this.”

“You know you’re wasting your breath,” AJ called out as Brian opened the door.

“I know, but I’m gonna at least try.”

“I’ll go with you,” Howie offered, half walking/half running toward the open door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I can’t believe that dickhead,” AJ muttered as he finished getting dressed for the ball game.

Brian shook his head. “I dunno what’s going on but I really think Mr. Pearlman has Johnny scared, I mean think about it, he kept saying over and over again that he had a wife and a mortgage and other obligations and that Nick had to do what he’s told.”

“That sounds like words coming from the mouth of someone that’s scared, if you ask me,” Howie nodded.

“Nicky, you don’t have to do this,” Kevin said as he sat next to the young bandmember.

“I have to......he told me I have to,” came the mumbled reply.

“You look like shit Kaos.....look at him, he’s sweating and his face is bright red and we haven’t even stepped foot on the court,” AJ commented.

Brian leaned over to place a hand on Nick’s forehead but the blonde immediated twisted his body to prevent him from doing so. “I’m fine, alright.”

“Hold still, I wanna see if you’re running a temp.”

“Howie, toss me a bottle of water, I’ll be fine I just need to cool down,” Nick advised.

Kevin furrowed his brow at the young blonde. “How many bottles have you drank today?”

He thought about it for a moment and as hard as he tried, he couldn’t remember what he did today or yesterday for that matter. “Bite me,” Nick hissed.

“Okay that was a good response,” AJ snickered.

“I remember him drinking at least seven,” Brian counted on his hands.

“Are you the fuckin’ water nazi now?” Nick glowered as he caught the bottle as it was tossed in his direction. “I’m thirsty......I can’t help it.”

Kevin ran a hand over his face. “I don’t like this at all.”

“Nick you’re burning up!” Brian shouted excitidly.

Twisting the cap off the bottled water, Nick didn’t seem to share Brian’s concerns. “It’s just hot in here.”

A young man stuck his face in the greenroom door. “Showtime boys!”

“Nick you can’t even stand up straight, this is crazy,” Howie observed.

“I’ll be fine,” Nick protested. “Just toss me the ball and I’ll be fine.”

“I have a hard time believing that,” Brian said with a disgusted look on his face.

As they made their way to the bench, Nick kept balling his fee hand into a fist, trying to loosen up the tightness he was feeling. His hands felt funny and he noticed that the ring he wore on his index finger felt like it was cutting the circulation off. Looking down at his fingers, he noticed that they looked a little ‘puffy.’

“Nicky, your eyes look like you didn’t get enough sleep,” Brian stated as he looked at his best friend’s puffy eyes.

Nick tossed an annoyed look at Brian. “I said I’m fine.”

”Ladies and gentlemen, we are pleased to give you the first Battle of Boybands here in our beautiful city of Munich.......First let me introduce to you the members of the newest recording sensation, n’Sync....”

AJ scoffed as he watched the members of their new rivals take center court. “Look at those pathetic guys...they look gay!”

“The audience seems to like them,” Howie whispered into his friend’s ear.

“They’ll be a one-hit wonder, mark my words,” AJ predicted with a smirk.

“Shhhhh, quiet, we’ll miss our cue!” Kevin reprimanded.

One by one, the Backstreet Boys were called out to center court to meet the bandmembers of Lou Pearlman’s latest group of young boy singers. The n’sync members seemed to play it up to the camera, much to Lou’s pleasure while the Backstreet members were quiet.

After the announcements were made, the game was ready to begin. As planned by Pearlman, Nick was suppose to meet in the center for tip-off with JC, since each of them were the tallest in the group. His face glistening with sweat as he waited for the referee to toss the ball in the air, Nick ignored the shouts and cheers from the crowd.

A sharp pain tore through his midsection as he reached up to hit the ball causing his usual reach to be halved letting JC get the toss up easily. A few moments into the game found Nick at the end of the court, hunched over with his hands on his knees panting.

“Nicky? Are you alright?” Brian questioned.

“I’m.......having.......trouble.......catching........my......b-breath,” he panted.

Brian automatically signalled a time out to the ref, letting the basketball fall to the floor. Putting a comforting arm around Nick’s waist, he carefully led his friend to the side of the ball court, signalling the manager’s attention.

The referee blew the whistle around his neck, stopping the action on the court. AJ, Kevin and Howie looked over toward the ref and were shocked to see Nick being escorted off the court by Brian. The trio quickly sprinted to help their younger brother.

“Nick needs a doctor now!”

“What the hell is wrong with Carter now?” Pearlman questioned, his face turning red with agitation as well as anger.

“I.....c-can’t.....b-breathe,” Nick gasped.

“You can talk so you can breathe,” Pearlman stated with annoyance in his voice.

Brian shook his head in defiance. “He needs to see a doctor, I’ll take him right now!”

“It’s probably his asthma again.......did you bring anything along for it?” Pearlman bristled.

“He hasn’t had problems with asthma for years,” Kevin corrected.

“And he used to be a skinny kid too but can’t you see how out of shape Carter has become? He’s soft and flabby.......”

“That still doesn’t explain why he can’t breathe,” AJ defended.

“He needs medical attention asshole,” Kevin sputtered.

Pearlman’s eyes widened at Kevin’s remark. “Lower your tone Richardson! I’m sure it’s just the boy’s asthma but just to make you pissants happy, I’ll get a doctor.”

Brian felt a little relieved when Pearlman agreed that Nick should see a doctor but he was shocked to see that the fat manager made no attempt to take Nick into the locker room.

“He needs to see one now!”

Pearlman pointed a chubby finger at the player’s bench. “Carter....sit down on the bench.”

Brian hung onto Nick’s arm, refusing to let him follow the manger’s direction. “Sit down? What do you mean sit down? He can’t breathe!

The men watched dumbfounded as the manager waddled over to the announcer’s table and spoke with the men seated there. After a few moments, he waddled back to where the group was assembled, holding up a white colored inhaler. “Here Nick, you’re in luck.”

“Cut the crap Lou, he needs to see a doctor not this!” Kevin snapped.

Pearlman smiled. “And he will see the doctor, after the game and not a moment before.”

“You are seriously psycho,” AJ snarled.

“I’m fine now....I can breathe better,” Nick said quietly.

“Good, now go back out on the court and show these fans something good,” Pearlman grinned.

”GO BACK OUT ON THE COURT? ARE YOU CRAZY?”

“Littrell, watch your tone with me boy!”

”I WON’T BE QUIET AND I WON’T CHANGE MY TONE....WHAT YOU’RE DOING IS EVIL....HE NEEDS TO SEE A DOCTOR......YOU CAN’T KEEP PUTTING THIS OFF!”

“If you’re calm now, I’ll have you know that I was going to leave as soon as you started the game again to find a physician to take a look at Carter,” Pearlman retorted through gritted teeth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I ache so much,” Nick complained as he laid down on his bed.

“I know Nick and the doctor is suppose to be here any minute now,” Kevin said sympathetically as he placed a cool washcloth on the young boy’s forehead.

“Kev, did you see the size of Nick’s ankles? They are swollen over the tops of his sneakers,” Brian commented worridly.

Glancing down toward Nick’s feet, Kevin gasped when he saw the swollen ankles. “Shit Nick, your ankles are huge.”

“They always get that way after ball games,” Nick lied.

“They do not Nick....I’ve never seen that on you before,” Brian stated.

Putting a hand to the compress on his forehead, Nick rolled his eyes dramatically. “That’s cause you’ve never looked at my legs.”

“Kiddo you look like you’ve beefed up overnight,” AJ surveyed.

Nick closed his eyes, moaning. ‘Why do I always gain weight and not lose it?’ he wondered to himself. He made a mental note to take some more of the diet pills after the doctor left.....if and when the doctor comes!

On the other side of the door, in the hotel hall, Lou Pearlman was standing alongside an older doctor he had found. “Dr. Shepard, remember, this kid has to do his work and under no circumstances will you excuse him from it. Here’s one thousand D-marks to get you started and after you’re done with the young boy, you’ll get four thousand more but only after you’ve done as I’ve told you. Do you understand?”

Dr. Shepard nodded in reply. “I just hope the boy isn’t very ill.”

“Take my word, this boy is always trying to play sick to get out of work. It’s just a case of over-acting that he’s got and nothing more,” Pearlman spat. “Just remember, he’s okay to work and you get the rest of your money.”

The doctor looked at the manager, not saying anything as he knocked on the door.

“Let us in,” Pearlman shouted.

As Kevin opened the door, it was obvious to the manager and the doctor that he was sizing up the elderly gentleman.

“This is doctor.....”

“Dr. Kleinschmit,” the man finished as he held a hand out for Kevin to shake.

“Everybody can leave the room while the good Dr. Kleinschmit examines Nick,” Lou ordered in a gruff voice.

Brian, Howie, AJ and Kevin remained where they were.

“We’re staying through this one,” Kevin replied as he folded his arms across his chest, his jaw jutted out in determination.

As Pearlman glared at Kevin, Kevin returned his glare with a smug smile. It was clear to the manager that the older bandmember wasn’t going to follow orders.

Dr. Kleinschmit knelt down beside Nick’s bed. “Hello son, I’m Dr. Kleinschmit. What seems to be the trouble?”

Pearlman snorted. “He’s just a cry baby, that’s all.”

The elderly doctor tossed a dark look at the manager. “I’m asking the patient, please do not interrupt. I’m sure he can speak for himself......son? What seems to be wrong, son?”

Nick felt funny about being questioned about his health with all of the guys in the room but also with Lou Pearlman’s beady eyes peering over the doctor’s shoulder. Now he felt stupid.

He shrugged his shoulders as he responded to the doctor’s question. “Um, I just feel like I’ve been run over by a truck.”

Taking ahold of Nick’s wrist to check his pulse, the doctor commented on the warmth of his skin. “You’re burning up with fever,” he remarked as he rummaged through his black bag for the ear thermometer. Sticking the device in Nick’s ear, it was only seconds before a beeping was emitted into the air.

Seeing the doctor’s concerned look on his face, Brian asked what the temperature was, getting a stern look from the manager.

“Not good, it’s 104.8 degrees farenheit.”

“Carter’s known for running high fevers,” the manager quickly added.

The doctor started asking Nick questions about his health as he went about checking the young man’s eyes, ears and nose.

“Do your fingers feel tight? They look a little swollen...”

“Look at his legs doc,” AJ piped up.

“Are you going to the restroom often?” the doctor questioned as he attempted to draw back the blankets that Nick was buried under. Before Nick could answer the question, the doctor gasped in shock when he saw Nick’s legs swollen from obvious fluid retention. As he touched one of the ankles, a definate print was left where his fingers had pressed onto the skin. “This young man needs to go to the hospital, immediately!”

”Dr. Kleinschmit,” Pearlman growled.

Hastily, the doctor pulled the D-marks from his shirt pocket, throwing it at the obese manager. “I cannot take this money! This young man is seriously ill, he needs medical attention!”

The bandmember’s mouths dropped open in shock as the doctor flung Pearlman’s bribe back. It was the proof they needed. For years they had wondered if Lou had done this before, now it was confirmed. It was money over personal health and well being.

Kevin approached the doctor, turning his back to Lou, “What do you think is wrong with Nick?”

“He’s a very sick young man.......he has needed medical attention for quite some time now from what I see here....”

“You’re concerned about his fever?”

“The fever has me concerned a bit but I’m more concerned about his edema. You do have both of your kidneys, right?”

Nick furrowed his brow as he listened to the doctor’s question. “Yeah?”

“Kidneys? What’s wrong?” Howie questioned.

“I’m fearing that with the fever and the edema that his kidneys are failing on him.....”

“Nicky, remember when you hurt your kidney when you got slammed into the side of the bus?” Howie asked.

“You injured a kidney? How long ago?”

“It was almost two months ago....” Howie stated quickly.

“He needs to get admitted to the hospital immediately! I’ll get the orders around...”

“Sir, before you do that, I need to call his folks in the states,” Kevin replied.

“Please don’t call my parents,” Nick begged. He was worried about the trouble that phone call would create with his mother and father. Little did he realize, it was going to cause more than he could ever possibly dream of.

90 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 90

Closing the cell phone, Kevin tossed it onto the bed in Howie’s hotel room. As he paced the floor, he shook his head in disbelief as he stood beside the large window.

“Who did you talk to?”

Kevin sighed, not turning around he answered his cousin. “Jane.”

“And?”

Drawing a deep breath in before speaking, Kevin ran his fingers through his hair. “She wants Pearlman to call her on this....it’s like she didn’t believe me or something.”

Brian’s mouth opened in disbelief. “You have got to be kidding me.”

Kevin finally turned around to find Brian’s hand poised over the abandoned cell phone. “Don’t touch it!”

“I was just gonna talk to Mrs. Carter myself.......”

“No......just leave it alone, I’ll go get Pearlman to call her.”

“One of us better be with that jerk.....I can almost bet he’s gonna play this off like it’s no big deal. He seems to think that medical problems aren’t good enough to cancel a show,” Brian snarled. “I trust him as far as I can throw him.”

Kevin shook his head. “That much, eh?”

Brian followed his cousin back to Nick’s room finding Howie and AJ standing out in the hall.

Kevin scowled at the two young men as he quickly knocked on the door. “What are you doing out here?”

“Pearlman kicked us out of the room,” AJ spat; jamming his hands into his front pockets.

“I thought we agreed not to leave Nick in there with that asshole,” Kevin growled.

“We tried......we were sorta shoved out of the room,” Howie explained.

Kevin pounded on harder on the door after a few moments had elapsed and there was no sign of the door being answered. ”Open this goddamn door! NOW!

As the door was finally opened, Kevin pushed against it, pressing Johnny between the door and the wall. Kevin’s eyes quickly swept over the room.

“Where’s the doctor?” he demanded.

“I told him his services were no longer needed,” Pearlman replied calmly.

Kevin eyes lit from Nick’s curled up form to Johnny Wright’s face and then back to Lou. “No longer needed? He said that Nick needed to be taken to the hospital!”

“I told him we would take care of the boy and it was none of his concern anymore.”

“He needs to be taken care of Lou! We can’t take anymore chances.” Kevin looked at Johnny, hoping that he would take his side about Nick needed medical attention. Johnny could only stare back at Kevin.

“Nick can wait until we get back to the states. A foreign hospital isn’t the place for a young boy to be,” Pearlman stated with an authoritive voice.

Kevin glanced worriedly down at Nick as he slept. “You need to call Mrs. Carter, she wants to talk to you about Nick.”

“I’ll do that when I get back to my room......”

Kevin held out his cell phone. “You can call her now!”

“Yeah...with all of us here,” Brian added.

Pearlman looked at the four bandmembers. “Oh, you think I’m not going to call her?”

“No it’s more like we know you’ll call her but what will you be telling her is what I’m thinking,” AJ stated in a raspy voice.

Pearlman started walking toward the door.

Kevin stood between the manager and the door. “Where do you think you’re going? I told you to call Mrs. Carter in here with all of us present.”

Lou narrowed his eyes as he looked at the dark haired man. “Step aside Richardson.”

Kevin folded his arms across his chest, keeping his feet firmly planted. “I’m not budging.”

“I said step aside!”

“And I won’t until you call her.”

Pearlman’s shoulders sagged when he realized that Kevin Richardson wasn’t going to move for him. “Give me the damned phone then,” he growled.

As Lou stared Kevin’s face, thoughts were racing through his mind.....could their be someway to *fake* the phone call to Jane Carter? His hopes were dashed when Kevin took the phone out of his hand.

“Here.....let me dial the number for you,” Kevin offered firmly.

When Kevin didn’t hand the phone back after he dialed, Pearlman tried to snatch the device away from the tall man’s ear.

“Richardson......give it to me,” he growled.

Kevin’s face wrinkled into a scowl at the manager as he took a step backwards. Just as Pearlman attempted to grab the phone away again, a young woman’s voice answered at the Carter home.

“Sweetheart, this is Kevin, can I talk to your mother please?”

“Richardson, give me the goddamned phone NOW!”

“Jane, this is Kevin, sorry to bother you again...I thought you’d like to hear about Nick from Lou Pearlman; hold on a minute.” Without saying anything further, Kevin held out the phone to the manager. Lou snatched it from his hands with a dirty look etched on his face.

Pearlman noisily cleared his throat as he placed the phone to his mouth. “Hello, Mrs. Carter?”

AJ and Howie rolled their eyes when Pearlman’s syrup-sweet voice wafted through the room. Sitting on the edge of Nick’s bed, Brian stuck his fingers down his throat and pretended to gag. Kevin’s stern look caused the men to stop their actions.

“Yes ma’am........Kevin said he had spoken with you earlier.......yes, well I was told that you wanted to talk to me about your son.......well, the doctor that visited him this evening said that Nick needed to be admitted to a hospital......do I? Well, ma’am.....I’m not a physician......yes....yes ma’am.....I agree......well you know foreign doctors......yes ma’am....sure.....I’ll be sure he does that........I’m sorry to bother you.......thank you very much Mrs. Carter.”

The silence in the air was so heavy that you could cut it with a knife. Pearlman smiled a smug grin as he tossed the phone back to Kevin.

Scrambling to catch the phone before it fell to the ground, Kevin grunted. “Should I be calling the hospital now?”

“Absolutely not. Mrs. Carter said that Nick can wait until he gets to Tampa. She doesn’t feel comfortable with her son in a foreign hospital. She was busy hurrying off to the airport to take young Aaron for a show.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” AJ rasped. “Is that all that fuckin’ woman cares about is Aaron?”

“Well that poor woman was rushed, she had to leave the rest of the family for a week she was telling me. I guess Aaron is going to be out in LA for at least a week,” Lou defended.

“Are you fuckin’ psycho? That kid needs to go to the hospital and I’m not gonna sit by here and watch this...” AJ grumbled as he made his way over to Nick. He stopped for a moment as he stared down at his sleeping brother.

“J...what are you doing?” Brian questioned.

“Well.... I was thinking about picking up Nick myself and carrying his butt out to a cab, but I just realized he’s too heavy for me to carry him.”

“I can’t believe you’d say something that mean,” Howie admonished.

“It’s true,” AJ defended.

”But still....”

“Why don’t you just let the young boy sleep....I’m sure this doctor was jumping the gun and I bet tomorrow morning will look entirely different. Besides, Mrs. Carter thinks it’s best to take Nick to a doctor in the states.....”

“That woman would wait and take a dog with a severed limb to a vet...” AJ hissed.

“Lou, he’s got a fever.....it has to be something serious,” Brian pleaded.

“You should know by now that Nick is prone to getting high fevers.”

“We’re not only talking about the fever, look at how dehydrated he’s been lately,” Kevin added.

“The kid likes to drink water.... in fact I bet if I went out to a newstand I could find tons of pictures with Nick and a bottle of water in his hands,” Lou argued.

Kevin balled his fists as he glared at the older man; the others in the rooming seeing the mannerisms on their brother had the rest of the men holding their breaths, waiting for something to happen. A small whimper from Nick interrupted the stare-down.

Brian was quick to be by the young man’s bedside as Nick attempted to sit up in bed. “Nick.....you need to rest.”

Nick looked around the room with glassy eyes. “W-why is everyone in here?”

“Do you need something Kaos?” AJ questioned quietly.

“Thirsty,” Nick mumbled.

Kevin shot a look back at Pearlman. “See......this isn’t normal!”

“The kid is running a fever, most people get thristy when they have a fever,” Pearlman growled.

Can we give him water?” Howie wondered.

Making his way to the mini fridge, Brian retrieved a small bottle of cold mineral water. “Sure we can.......we can’t let him get dehydrated from the fever.”

With shaking hands, Nick took the water that was offered. Drinking the water in large gulps sent some of it spilling down his chin and onto the gray t-shirt.

“Whoa....slow down Nick,” AJ advised.

“Carter will be fine in the morning, you worry too much,” Pearlman advised. “Now, if you don’t mind....I have a business to run. Only one can spend the night with the boy, the rest of you go back to your rooms.” Pearlman looked at the bandmembers before pointing toward Howie. “You can stay with Carter, the rest of you OUT.”

“I’ll stay with Nick,” Kevin replied firmly.

“I don’t trust you Richardson.”

“I don’t need a babysitter, I’m fine,” Nick squeaked in protest.

Brian placed a hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Lay back down and go to sleep.”

After a few minutes of arguing, Lou reluctantly agreed to let Kevin stay with Nick contingent on the rest of the group went back to their rooms. As soon as his younger brother was sound asleep, Kevin dialed the number to Johnny Wright’s hotel room, requesting that he come down to talk to him.

When the manager finally arrived, Kevin quickly pulled him into the room, softly closing the door behind him.

“We need to talk.......does Pearlman know you’re here?”

Johnny looked past Kevin; Kevin followed the older man’s gaze.

“How’s Nick doing?”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about......he needs to go to the hospital a doctor told us that he needs to be taken to a hospital immediately.”

“What did Lou say about this?”

“He said that Nick can wait, but can’t you see how sick he is? The doctor was suspecting something was wrong with his kidneys because of the symptoms and he threw Pearlman’s bribe money back at him.”

“I’m sorry Kevin but I can’t do anything, my hands are tied on this. We’ll just have to wait until Nick gets home.”

“Didn’t you hear what I just said?” Kevin asked incredilously. “I said that Lou bribed the doctor to say anything but Nick being seriously sick!”

“I heard and I’m sorry I can’t help you,” Johnny apologized sadly. “I need the money and I can’t afford to lose my job. I’m sure Nick will be fine.”

With a tired gesture, Kevin ran a hand through his hair as he slumped onto the bed opposite of Nick's. He prayed that the morning would find his brother okay, but somehow he couldn't convince himself that this really could happen.

Looking over at Nick, Kevin took in his features as he slept. His complexion seemed pale; his face puffy, especially around his eyes.

As he looked at the young man, Kevin no longer felt like a brother to Nick - he felt more like a father with all the "fatherly" feelings attached:

Worry.

Concern.

Dispair.

Most of all fear......that something was horribly wrong and he needed to act.

Soon.

91 by Carrie_Swenglish

Kevin found himself standing alone in a room filled with flowers of every type and color. Instead of his usual jeans, t-shirt and Adidas sneakers he discovered he was wearing a dark suit.

The smell of the flowers didn’t cover up the scent of some type of horrible make up Kevin assumed, that hung in the large room. The lighting was dim and soft music was playing.

Looking around the room he noticed rows of empty antique white leather padded folding chairs and cream colored draperies that hung from the ceiling down to the plush cream colored carpet. As Kevin twisted around where he stood, his brows furrowed in confusion.

Where was he?

“There’s gotta be a goddamned exit,” Kevin muttered. Spying a brightly lit sign with the words EXIT, he darted toward the opening.

Walking toward the buildings entrance as fast as he could, Kevin didn’t look back until he reached the sidewalk adjacent to the deserted street. Resting on the manicured front lawn was a white sign with bold black letters JOHANSSON FUNERAL HOME.

“What the hell?”

Looking at the front doors, Kevin noticed a sign with small print. Curiosity got the best of him and since it was too far for him to read, he casually walked back to the building.

And there it was in small type:

Nickolas G. Carter

Funeral Services 1:00 pm Today.

Kevin’s knees buckled and he sank to the ground, sobbing. “I killed him.....he didn’t get the help he needed and he died.......oh god......” Rocking back and forth as he continued to cry uncontrollably, Kevin felt a tapping on his shoulder.

“Kevin.......Kevin....”

He recognized the voice belonging to his cousin.

“Kev....wake up you’re having...”

Startled, Kevin jerked upright finding Brian standing over him. Self conscious about being caught sleeping, he cleared his throat and ran a hand over his face.

“I’m sorry to wake you up but you were having a bad dream,” Brian apologized. “Care to tell me what it was?”

“Huh? Oh, I don’t remember,” he lied as he stretched his body. “What time is it?”

“Almost two-thirty.”

”Two-thirty?!?”Why did you let me sleep this late?”

“Nick said you didn’t sleep well last night so he decided to let you sleep.”

Kevin looked over at the tangled sheets on the empty bed, questioning Brian as he started to stand up. “Where’s Nick?”

“Calm down, he’s taking a shower.....he was on his way there when I knocked on the door....he let me in.”

Kevin looked at the closed bathroom door. “He’s taking a shower?”

“Yeah.”

Rubbing the back of his neck as he tried to gather his bearings, Kevin again looked at Nick’s empty bed. “How did he seem to you when he let you in?”

“Not sure, he didn’t say anything to me but he was walking slow, that’s about all I noticed.”

Wiping the steam from the large bathroom mirror, Nick studied his reflection. After last night, he decided he still felt like crap. The only thing that kept him going was knowing that today was the last day of this tour and by this time tomorrow, he would be on a plane headed for home.

Doing his usual ‘visual inventory’ on his body, Nick first noticed his face; his eyes especially. He thought they looked puffy but he quickly dismissed that as ‘too much sleep puffiness.’

“God I am getting fatter,” Nick moaned as he looked at how an extra chin seemed to have cropped up over the last few days. He attributed his weight gain to laying around and taking it too easy. He knew that excerise was completely out of the question until he got home, especially since his back ached 24/7 from that bladder infection but he mentally made a note of getting himself back on the right track once he arrived home.

Rummaging through his shaving kit, Nick produced his toothbrush and toothpaste and hastily went through the routine so he could get dressed and sit down. His back was aching and the dull headache that was still hanging around did little to lift his mood.

Pearlman had told him that he would be expected to sing tonight but was being halfway decent and said he could sit during the show and not have to dance. The way he was feeling, sitting would be better than having to actually move around on stage.

As he opened the door, he was surprised to see Kevin awake.

“I thought you’d let him sleep a little longer.”

Kevin jerked his head towards the doorway. “Nick, how are you feeling?”

“Felt better...but fine I s’pose.” He made his way over towards the dresser, lifting the pile of his clothes and going through his luggage, tossing clothes out of the bag onto the floor causing Kevin to shake his head in disgust.

“Can I help you find something?”

“Just looking for my Tylenol.....got a bad headache,” Nick lied as he continued to search for his stash of diet pills.

Brian held up a familiar red and white bottle. “Is this what you’re looking for?”

Nick jerked and felt his heart sank when he realized that Brian was holding the bottle of Tylenol. “Um, yeah........” He caught it one-handed as his brother tossed the plastic bottle at him. Uncapping the bottle, he shook out two of the white caplets.

“You look like you don’t really feel so good......I should see if Pearlman would reconsider you being out onstage tonight,” Kevin announced.

Shoving the pills into his mouth and taking a drink of coke, Nick shook his head. “No....I’ll be fine, besides, tonight will be the last night for a few weeks, I’m sure I can manage.”

After taking the Tylenol, Nick restarted his search for his hidden diet pills, emptying the suitcase until he found what he was searching for.......the wad of white tissue paper that hid his secret.

As he unwrapped his prize, he was unaware that Kevin and Brian’s eyes were trained on him the entire time.

“Nick, what’s that?”

“Just some vitamins I have,” he replied, grabbing two of the tiny white pills.

Brian grabbed Nick’s arm to look at the tissue he held in the palm of his hand. “Really? I’ve never seen vitamins that look like that before.”

As Nick jerked his arm away from Brian’s grasp, the tissue flew out of his hand spraying the tiny pills into the air.

“Jesus Nick, I thought I took those away from you!” Kevin roared as he examined the pills on the carpeted floor.

“Well they were mine and I took them back,” he snapped as he attempted to bend over to retrieve them.

“You don’t need to be taking shit like that Nick.”

“Lou told me I had......” he stopped himself before he spilled the secret.

“Lou told you had to what?”

“Nevermind.”

“Nick?”

“I said skip it....”

Kevin lightly grabbed his brother by the arms, spinning him around to face him. “Nick, what did Lou say to you?”

Swallowing hard, Nick shook his head.

“Nick, spill it!”

“I’ll get in trouble...”

“No you won’t, just tell me.”

“Lou told me I had to take one of these every day,” he whispered.

“Why?”

This time Nick rolled his eyes in disgust. “Can’t you see why?”

“See why?”

”Look at me Kev....I’m fat and those pills are the only thing that will help me loose the weight. God, I even gained weight laying in bed yesterday. It only happens to me. He’s tried different things with me to loose the weight but I think the diet pills are the only thing that will help.”

Kevin’s eyes flashed. ”Different things?”

“I said too much, just drop it.”

“NO DEAL, spill it kiddo.”

“He gave me a home remedy but all it did was make me sick so I stopped taking it.”

“A home remedy?”

“It was called Milk of Mag something.”

“Milk of Magnesia?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, that’s it.”

”LOU MADE YOU DRINK THAT SHIT?”

“Well yeah, but I kinda drank more than I was suppose to and it worked against me.”

Kevin shook his head in disgust. “And how many of those diet pills are you suppose to take?”

“One.”

“One? Why did you have two in your hand?” Brian questioned.

“Um, I haven’t taken them in a couple of days so I needed......”

“What you need is your ass kicked. Nick, don’t you realize why you look like you’re getting heavier instead of loosing weight? It’s the diet pills,” Kevin explained. “It’s making you retain all the water you’re drinking. You don’t need to be taking those anymore. With that bladder infection it made things more screwed up in your system.”

Nick looked at his older brother suspiciously. “Are you sure?”

“One hundred percent positive.”

“I bet once your body adjusts to getting off those things that Lou gave you, you’ll drop the weight in no time,” Brian assured.

“I better or I’ll be out of a job,” Nick mumbled.

“He can’t fire you, you’re part of the group,” Kevin replied as he pulled Nick into a hug.

“He’d have to cross Hell before he could break us up,” Brian added, patting Nick on the back.

“I hope you’re right because all I can see is my fat face in the mirror and gosh, my legs feel like lead weights.....”

“It’s all the water those pills made your body hold in, once you stop taking them, things will be back to normal,” Kevin replied in a calm tone.

“I hope so,” Nick sighed. “I’m getting tired of feeling like I gotta piss and nothing seems to come out.”

Kevin’s eyes widened. “Still?”

“Well, kinda but when I do pee it’s not like normal looking but who cares, it’ll be over soon.”

Brian and Kevin exchanged glances.

“Not normal looking how?”

“I dunno, it’s probably the infection.”

“Are you still taking your antibiotics?”

Nick scowled. “Yeah Dad, I’m still taking the antibiotics.”

“I’m serious Nick. Are you still feeling sick to your stomach?”

“Not too much today, I’ll be fine, okay? Let’s get ready for the show before we give Lou something more to be pissed at me for.”

“I really don’t li----”

“There’s nothing to like Kev, I’m doing what I have to do.”

Kevin shrugged his shoulders when he realized that Nick was right. There was nothing to like about this situation and like it or not Lou Pearlman had complete control over them and what he demanded they all did what he wanted to please him and only him.

They didn’t matter.......only management mattered.

92 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 92

So far had the charity concert been a total success. 20,000 fans had paid to see their favorite band perform and the main attraction was the two boybands. Backstreet Boys and Nīsync. There were some German artists playing also like DJ Bobo but the night was soon about to end and it was Nīsync’s turn to give all they could on stage. The fans were delighted and the small concert hall was filled to the brim with screaming excited fans.

AJ who had been backstage, looking out at the crowd together with some of the roadies was caught in the arm by a busty blonde reporter holding a yellow mike in front of him. It was VIVA TV making a live report from backstage. "Mr. McLean from the Backstreet Boys, you are the next band to enter the stage. How does that feel? Are you excited?" She smiled a toothy white smile and AJ found himself staring down in a very deep valley between two large breasts.

"Eh..uh.." He did his best to focus on her face and the microphone instead off her curves. This was easier said than done. Quickly he checked to see if she had a ring on her finger that indicated if she was married and to his satisfaction he found that it wasnīt the case. "This is great," he said with a smile. "Hearing those fans screaming outside makes you all hyped up and you wanna go out there and sing your heart out."

"Really," the reporter moved and so did her bussom and AJ found himself licking his lips. Damn she was fine. He answered a couple of questions of what the rest of the guys were up to, having a hard time concentrating. Loud screams broke his attention and the female reporter took the mic, "Right now itīs Nīsync the new American popsensation playing and the fans seemed to like it."

He snorted. Why did all of the reporters had to compare them to that group? Ok they were talented and heīd met them several times but they were a copy and the worst part was that rumor was that none of the guys did have to work as hard as they had did over the years. They were clearly riding on the Backstreet success.

The blonde turned to him, "Nīsync has hit the European charts pretty fast and last week they signed a fat contract for five years under the management of Mr. Lou Pearlman and Mr. Johnny Wright. The word is that they cut a good deal and now are the most richest boy band. What are your comments on this?" The reporter once again held the mic under his face.

'Five years? Pearlman' The words echoed in his head. There was a rumor going on in the music business about this but they had all thought that it was just another rumor that was going around so no one paid much attention to this. They had done their best in finding out how much truth there was in the rumor that it was Lou together with Johnny who was running the show. Upon asking about this to the management they had been told that for the time being Nīsync would remain under their wings until another management would pick them up. This has turned out to be a bunch of crap and Kevin had found out that both Pearlman and Wright had invested a pretty good deal of money in this band and had told PR people that this was the new popsensation. This had hurt their feelings and to say that there was tension between the guys and the management would be an understatement. It hadnīt helped that Nick had revealed pretty bad stuff about how he was treated and now they were all upset.

"How does it feel to have another large popband under the same management? Another rival?" The reporter looked him sternly in the eyes and suddenly he found himself thinking of something else besides her big boobies. His mind worked frantically as he tried desperately to find the right words. Hell where were was Kevin when he needed him?

"Itīs great." He plastered "the Backstreet smile" on his lips. "Weīre not really rivals and they have done some pretty cool stuff and we are all friends with each other as a matter of fact Howie and Chris went to the same high school and they are old buddies."

Loud screams were heard from the concert hall and AJ chuckled. "Man itīs going to be totally wild out there. The fans are really on tonight and they will be even more hyped up once we get out there doing our stuff." Stucking his face into the camera he shouted loudly, "We will get out there rockin’ your socks off. YOU HEAR!!" The camera man backed away several inches over the sudden attack and this had both AJ and the reporter laughing. Fuck he really needed to get to meet her later on. She was the rare mixture of a stunning beauty and brains.

"It sounds like youīre really ready for this show."

"You bet," he grinned. "Itīs our last show for this tour and we will give everything."

"There is a rumor going around that your youngest member, eighteen year old Nick Carter, is experiencing an eating disorder and is too sick to perform tonight. Is there any truth in this?

AJ jerked. Why did reporters have to be so nosy? "Nick?" he said with an even wider grin added with some flirting, "That boy eats just about everything so an eating disorder is out of the question." Fuck he couldnīt afford to fuck this up. "Seriously Nick is fine. Heīs been a bit under the weather lately due to a cold but I can assure you that itīs nothing bad." He was lying through his teeth as he continued, "As a matter of fact weīre all suffering from a cold and Howie is nursing a sore throat." He smiled, still wondering when she would realize that he was lying and call his cards. "This is actually pretty common at the end of a tour." The woman nodded and he continued with the same self secure tone, "I can assure you that once he gets onstage he will be one hundred percent again and he will blow.." 'Fuck AJ bad word,' he mentally scolded himself. "I mean he will melt your heart." To this he added another "sincere" smile and hoped that the reporter had swallowed his bait. Upon leaving the topic with a chuckle and a comment "Sounds like he is in perfect shape then," he knew she had believed him.

"Yup." Damn heīd become a pretty good liar these days. That he had to admit. 'He glanced at his watch just to see that they had to be ready in fifteen minutes and he had just enough time to take a quick leak, make the last arrangements and the prayer that had become a real tradition. The reporter caught his gesture and with a smile said, "Ok I will let you go and get ready." Before she had a chance to say anything AJ added, "Thanks and we love you all. Wir lieben dich." Then he set his lips at the camera window again, laughing as the camera man that backed away, moved even further. Before leaving to go to the dressing room and after he made sure he was of camera he whispered towards the blonde, "I hope youīll be at the afterparty tonight..I kind of would like to get to know you a little better." With that he smiled and to his relief got a "Yes I will be there."

"Ok see you there then baby." With that he quickly ran off to join the rest in the dressing room further down the hall.

Once inside the dressing room he let his guard down. "Man itīs wild out there," he breathed like heīd competed in track. Shutting the door firmly behind him he made sure that no fans had followed him and it was just security outside. Looking up he noticed that the rest of the guys were seated listening to Johnny giving out some kind of information. Thinking it was nothing of importance he said a carefree tone, "So waz up?"

Apparently his arrival wasnīt that appreciated since Johnny gave him an evil eye. "Where the hell have you been?" The dark man bellowed so loud that it could be heard out in the hallway. "I thought I told you specifically to be here at least 30 min before the show."

"Calm down," AJ said slouching down beside Nick who looked like something the cat had dragged in and then left for dead. "Move your fat ass," he snapped, fully aware that the teen was getting the irritation that Johnny was transmitting on him. With a wince his friend moved, still not letting go of his grip on his stomach. There was very little color in the teen’s face and after a quick look AJ shook his head, "Dude you look like hell!" Brian and Howie made a disgusted face which he simply ignored. "What? Iīm here now ainīt I? Whatīs all the fuss?"

"Youīre fifteen minutes late," Jonny barked.

"And just as nice as always," Brian muttered.

"Iīm always nice," he lightly punched Nick. "Ainīt that right Nicky?" When the teen only winced and Brian shook his head he shrugged, "Oh well, so what was it that you wanted to discuss then? What was so important?"

Kevin looked up from a bunch of papers heīd been reading. "Home arrangements," he clarified.

"Huh?" No matter how he tried he could never get a grip on his older friend. He was way too formal and often using words he never in his wildest imagination had thought about using. "Huh?" AJ could never grip his older friend. He always sounded so formal and was using words that he never in his wildest fanatsy had thought about expressing.

"Jay weīre going home tomorrow. You forgot?" This time it was Brian who decided to be a smartass.

He rolled his eyes. Man how stupid did they think he was? "Noooo.." Turning to Howie he asked "So what are the plans? When are we flying home?" The older man started to open his mouth to give out the information when Johnny cut him short.

"If youīd paid attention instead of hunting girls you would know when." he sneered. This had AJ blowing a fuse.

"Fuck! Why are you all getting on my case? For your information I was outside talking to a reporter about the show and..."

"What?" Both Johnny and Kevin stared at him wide eyed. "Say that again!"

AJ grinned. He was having an advantage and this he was going to use. "She wanted to know what we were doing before a show and I told her that we were all masturbating..especially Kev and.."

"JAY!" Kevin was red as a lobster in his face and he could see Brian giggle slightly. "You didnīt..." The fists were balled.

Not wanting to call it off he continued with a shrug, "And then I told her that we were all drinking JD and doing groupies and.."

Kevin relaxed, something in AJīs eyes told him that he was just making it all up. Why, he had no idea but then when did he ever make sense? "Cut to the chase AJ. You didnīt speak to any reporter."

"Yeah I did. She was a real busty blonde and Iīm seeing here at the afterparty too. Grinning he turned to Nick, hitting him playfully in his stomach. "That was some babe would be something for you to bite your fangs into." All he got back was a groan as Nick protected his stomach like it was Fort Knox. He sighed deeply. Man this was boring. When none of the others seemed amused over his little "play" he sighed, "Relax. Iīve been in this game long enough to know what I can and canīt say. I played it nice." Silently he added, "as always."

"So what did they ask about then?"

"Oh you know..stuff." He shrugged, "About Nicky.."

The guys narrowed their eyes, Nick included. "What did you say?" There was a hint of worry in the manager’s voice.

"The truth!" He loved to see Johnny squirm and even Kevin looked a bit worried. There was a pause as they waited for him to say something more. "I just said that he was sicker than a dog, pissing blood, throwing up." He had to hide the smile that was toying on his lips.

"You didnīt say that did you?" The manager’s eyes darted nervously back and forth.

"No I didnīt.." He sighed, "but she DID ask me about the rumored eating disorder."

Upon this Howie nearly choked on the tea he was drinking and all of the men stared at him. "WHAT?" Nick looked just as scared.

"What are you saying???"

"Yeah that is right. She said so but I told her that Nick only had a bad cold and nothing else was wrong.." He looked coldly towards Johnny who seemed like he wanted to creep out of his skin. "Just like the truth, huh?"

When he thought the manager would blow a fuse he added, "But that wasnīt all.." He waited until the men was positively ready to strangle him, especially Mr. Wright.

"What the hell did you say now McLean?" The manager was red in his face from anger. Boiling inside.

"Nīsync have just landed a five years contract. Fat and with lots of benefits.." He didnīt end the sentence on purpose and instead narrowed his eyes toward Johnny. "You know anything about this?"

The room that had been pretty silent as AJ was leading the show was suddenly filled with talk. "A five year contract?"

"Who would be so stupid to sign them up for such a deal?"

"I bet they will make millions on this one."

"You know something more Jay that youīre not saying?"

The questions and comments were many. When he thought it was fit to reveal what he knew about this he turned to Johnny, "Yes who do YOU think would be the management for this group?" The manager’s eyes darkened. "Why donīt we ask Johnny and Lou what they have to say about this."

Kevin was the first to speak up. "Johnny what do you know? " When the manager remained silent he continued, "Is it true? Did Nīsync sign a contract with you? With Pearlman?"

"That is none of your damned business." Walking towards the door he made a hasty exit. "This is something weīll talk about later. Right now all you have to be concerned about is performing and doing a perfect show." His tone wasnīt harsh. more authoritive and before he closed the door he turned towards Nick, pointing at him, "And you try and on your best." With that he was out of the door faster than the speed of light."

"That really burned." Brian shook his head.

"Yeah it burned his ass," Aj grinned back. "Some hell of a story."

Kevin who had remained calm as always looked at the younger man with a frown, "Ok spill what you know." Without hesistation the young man started to tell about what heīd heard and after talking for a while they decided to send Howie out to snoop around at the afterparty.

"We need to act and we need to act fast." Kevin said with a frown. "Itīs a real mess and it doesnīt exactly gets better when I heard Nick’s side of the story." The rest of the guys looked at the blonde who leaned back against the headrest, eyes closed. Upon seeing this Kevin continued, "Iīll tell you guys later but right now we need to find a way out of this contract."

"Yeah itīs eating us alive. Weīre like stuck in a trap and as long as we stay with Lou and Johnny we will be treated worse than animals." AJ always had a flare for the dramatic. Kevin did not.

"I have talked with some lawyers and they are trying to find out something more about this and as soon as we get back we need to have a meeting."There was worry in Kevin’s voice and he lacked the usual energy that he always had before doing a show. "Sounds good to me." Howie agreed.

"Yes and until then we have to pretend that everything is just peachy," Brian muttered, catching an eye towards Nick who had slouched further and further down in the sofa and looked like he wanted to curl into a ball and sleep the night away instead of playing sexual in front of thousands of screaming teens.

"Sucks doesnīt it," AJ added with a sigh.

Suddenly the door opened and a stage hand came in, "Five minutes before youīre on guys," he directed shortly before closing the door again.

"Fuck I wish we didnīt have to do this," AJ complained and gone was all the hyped up energy he had felt earlier on. They were in no shape to do this and looking at Nick he wasnīt sure if the teen had fallen asleep or not. This was madness.

"Me too." Howie had been silent most off the time and this had them all in for a surprise.

"You too D?"

"Yeah...Nicky has no business being out there and hearing all this crap about the mangement makes you wonder why weīre in this business at all." The atmosphere was so gloomy that no one could have guessed that within less than five minutes they would all be up on stage singing and dancing like all the troubles were forgotten.

"Stop it." The word was barely a whisper but everyone stopped talking. They had thought he was asleep. "You guys sound like youīre attending a funeral instead of preparing to see 20,000 fans that are just dying to meet us." Glassy eyed he looked at each of his brothers, "Weīve been through worse times than this and I think we need to forget our pain for a moment and just concentrate on the show. Go out there and show Lou and Johnny who really rules this party." A genuine Nick Carter smile lit up on his face. A smile that the guys hadnīt seen for a very long time. "They are not going to destroy our last night on this tour."

"Kaos is right. Lets get out there and show who is king. Those bastards ainīt going to destroy it for us." With that they high fived each other and hurried with quick steps over to the stage to make an entrance. There was a look of concentration etched on their faces as they said their prayer for the last time on this tour. The moment felt almost historical and all aches and pains were forgotten. Instead they were going up there to KICK ASS!

93 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 93

Brian didn’t keep his gaze off of Nick the entire show. He constantly watched the teen from the corner of his eyes. Although Pearlman had given Nick his permission to stay seated and do the entire concert from the stool that had been situated in the center of the stage, Nick had tried on several occasions to slip off and join his bandmates in the choreographed dance steps until Kevin or Howie or even Brian rushed up and ushered Nick back to his chair.

Several times Nick protested weakly and sometimes after a song, Nick would say something to the crowd that his brothers ‘were making a big deal over nothing with the flu.’

Although Nick had kept on insisting over and over again that he was suffering from the flu, Brian’s suspecisions was that it was anything but the flu. It was becoming more evident that something was horribly wrong with his baby brother yet he couldn’t put his finger on what exactly was wrong with Nick.

To the fan’s eyes, Nick might look a little ‘under the weather’ but to Brian’s eyes, something was definately off. How Lou Pearlman could ignore it was beyond comprehension, Brian decided as he caught Nick gulping down his fifth bottle of water.

As the band cued the music to the final song, Nick slid gingerly off the stool to stand next to Brian. A wave of dizziness suddenly swept over him and he took a faltering step backwards; AJ was quick to place a hand on Nick’s back.

With the crook of a finger, AJ lowered his mic away from his mouth. “Are you gonna be alright Kaos?”

Nick nodded slightly, instantly regretting the movement. Closing his eyes he mumbled, “Yeah.” Mentally he screamed, “not here...not now.....don’t faint.”

Their usual encore was cut short when after one bow, Nick staggered off stage, Brian close in tow. Just as the young man reached the side of the stage, his legs gave out sending him crashing to the hard wooden floor beneath him.

”SHIT!” Brian yelped, his voice amplified by the microphone that was still on.

Security quickly swarmed over Nick, pushing Brian aside as they scooped up their young charge carrying him off to the green room, a worried Kevin rushing alongside.

The crowd of young fans watched in shock after hearing Brian swear and the blur of activity that was happening at the side of the stage with the bodyguards and the other members of the band. The sounds from the audience went from screams of adoration to buzzes of questions and theories as to what had happened and to whom.

“Jesus Lou didn’t we tell you that Nick wasn’t fit to go onstage tonight?” Kevin snapped when he caught sight of the manager, keeping his pace with the security as they carried the unconscious blonde to the green room.

“I’m sure Carter’s fine,” Pearlman replied flatly.

”FINE? FINE? YOU CALL PASSING OUT FINE? Jesus, I don’t understand you.....you’re a fucking piece of work.”

“That’s enough from you Richardson,” Pearlman threatened in a low growl.

”Why don’t you go fuck yourself Lou,” Kevin spat, slamming the green room door in the obese manager’s face.

”RICHARDSON! OPEN THIS DOOR!”

“Back off fatty,” AJ rasped, pushing the manager aside.

“What did you say to me? Do you realize who you’re talking to?” Pearlman demanded.

Ignoring the manager’s questions, AJ knocked on the door and a member of security allowed him, Howie and Brian to enter. As the guard tried to close the door, Pearlman wedged his foot in.

“Sorry sir, but you’re not allowed in here,” the man apologized.

“Open this door now!” Pearlman barked. “I own you! Open this door immediately!”

“Sir, don’t make me shut this door on your foot because I can and I will.”

Despite the commotion that was occurring with the security guard and the door, Kevin had taken charge of the situation, directing the other body guards to wet down towels with cool water and bring them to him. He elevated Nick’s feet and kept his head low as he laid a fresh wet towel across the young man’s forehead.

“God.....Nicky’s so white....I’ve never seen Kaos look this shitty,” AJ rasped as he watched Kevin fuss.

“There’s something definately not good here,” Howie added.

“What do you mean?”

“Well beside his coloring, look at him.”

Brian, AJ and Kevin looked at Nick’s face, puzzled where Howie was heading with his comment.

Nick’s eyes suddenly fluttered open, directing Howie’s concerns momentarily away. As Nick looked around the room, he sighed, closing his eyes.

“Tell me this didn’t happen on stage,” he muttered.

“No, it was offstage,” Kevin informed.

Nick sighed with relief.

“Barely,” AJ added. Nick groaned.

“How are you feeling?”

Nick thought for a moment as he did a mental inventory. He felt the ever-constant headache was still there with more intensity than before and his stomach was nauseated. Licking his lips, he replied, “Like road kill.”

“Don’t worry Nick, as soon as you say you’re ready, we’ll have security get us to the van and get us back to the hotel,” Kevin stated. “Is there anything I can get you?”

“Water please, I’m thirsty,” Nick mumbled.

Brian shook his head in disbelief. He wondered how Nick could possibly be thirsty after all the water bottles he drank onstage. As he stared down at Nick laying on the couch; brushing the sweat from his forehead with a towel, he noticed something about his brother that he hadn’t noticed before.

No sweat! His hair was bone dry.

Granted he had been sitting on a stool the entire show, that could account for Nick not being sweaty, but then there was the stage lights - the lights that can dry your throat out and the heat from the crowd. Something was really wrong, Brian decided.

Biting his bottom lip, he tapped his cousin on the shoulder, getting his attention. “Kev, something’s really off with Nick.”

“Duh Brian, Kaos did a swan dive after the show, of course he’s off,” AJ muttered.

“No, it’s something other than that....he isn’t sweating.”

“I noticed that too,” Howie softly added.

Four pairs of eyes looked at Nick, realizing that what Brian had just mentioned was true. Nick was bone dry. For a guy that litterally sweated buckets of water at any given time, he was completely dry.

“Nick, do you feel up to going back to the hotel?” Kevin questioned. “I’d like to have a qualified doctor look at you when we get back.”

Nick’s eyes widened when Kevin mentioned that he wanted to have a doctor check him over. He hated doctors with a passion and didn’t want to be touched again. “I’ll be fine Kev. Let’s just get back so we can get ready to go home.”

Kevin placed a supportive hand on Nick’s back as he helped him to a sitting position. “Just take it slow, stop if you get dizzy.”

“I-I’m fine.....I just want to go and lay in my own bed at my own home,” Nick mumbled.

“I know Nick, we all do,” Brian sympathized.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Despite Nick’s protests, Kevin called for a doctor as soon as they arrived back to the hotel. He asked the front desk who they would recommend and the woman replied without hesitation, Doctor Hernand Grost. She offered to place the call for Kevin and he thanked her but not before adding that the fees were to be placed on Lou Pearlman’s room charges since he was their manager.

“Would you just lay down? You’re making this harder on yourself getting all worked up, just relax,” Kevin soothed as he placed a hand on Nick’s shoulder, guiding him back down onto the bed.

“This is so stupid Kevin, you know that we’re gonna get in trouble when Lou finds out.”

“Nick, trust me, Pearlman has more to worry about right now than this doctor coming to take a look at you.”

“I’m gonna so get my ass chewed out... I know I will....I just know it,” he sputtered as Kevin fussed with the blankets, drawing them closer to his chest.

“Sh-h-h-h, quit worrying so much,” Kevin responded in his soft Kentucky accent. A sharp knock on the door took Kevin’s attention momentarily away from Nick. “Good, he must be here. Sit tight.”

Nick rolled his eyes beneath closed lids. “Yeah, like I could escape.”

An older man wearing a dark blue sport shirt and khaki dress slacks followed Kevin into the room. He promptly set his black medical bag on the bedstand as he crouched next to Nick’s bedside. The man’s facial expression was etched with concern.

“Has he had some history of kidney problems?” he asked in a thick accent.

Kevin’s eye brows furrowed. “Um, yes I guess so, but you haven’t even looked at him yet, how can you tell something is wrong with his kidneys? I mean, he was told he has a urinary tract infection by another doctor.”

The doctor didn’t pause as he promptly took out some of his medical equipment from the bag. “I can tell because of the edema, his skin coloring and his eyes.”

Kevin looked at Nick trying to see if he could discover what the doctor saw. All he could see was the typical Nick Carter when he was sick with the flu none of the skin color or edema..... “Where do you see edema, or what is that anyway?”

“This is how I can see the edema,” the doctor stated as he pressed his fingers into Nick’s forearm, leaving definate indentations where his fingers had been when they were removed. “His body is filling up with fluids..... this is a very sick young man. Why has he not been taken to a hospital?”

“Hospital?” Nick croaked. “I don’t want to go to a hospital, I’m okay.”

The doctor shook his head. “You are far from okay,” he stated as he placed the stethoscope on Nick’s chest.

Kevin waited as the doctor listened to Nick’s heart before asking anymore questions. He jumped in quickly when the earpiece was removed. “So what are you thinking is wrong with Nick? The flu?”

“It would be nice if it were that simple.....are you experiencing any back pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea....”

“Constantly,” Nick admitted, his face getting a red tinge to his cheeks from the embarrassment.

“Trouble urinating? Passing blood?”

“Yes,” he replied quietly.

“Excessive thirst? How often have you passed blood?”

“I’m thirsty all the time I suppose, but the blood thing it’s never really gone away.”

“Jesus Nick,” AJ rasped from the corner of the room.

The doctor quickly reached for the phone and Nick was just as quick to place his hand ontop of the doctors. “Don’t.....please, I just want to go home to Florida, I can get this taken care of over there.”

“I don’t think your kidneys will wait that long young man,” the physician said in a low tone as his eyes locked onto Nick’s.

“What are you saying doctor?” Kevin questioned, panic edging in his normally calm voice.

“What I’m trying to tell you is that his kidneys are on their way to failing him. It’s just a matter of time before they give out and he needs to be admitted to a hospital before they do in fact shut down.”

“That’s enough for me Nick,” Kevin replied as he reached over and took Nick’s hand from the doctor’s arm. “Make the arrangements.”

“B-but...but we’re suppose to go home tomorrow,” Nick protested.

“Fuck that Nicky....we can wait for as long as it takes for you to get well enough to go home,” AJ commented.

“We’re not going anywhere until you’re ready,” Brian agreed.

“It wouldn’t be right to do anything but that,” Howie said.

Silence hung in the room as the doctor dialed the number to the front desk. Only Kevin spoke and understood German so he was the only one that was able to understand what the doctor said once he was connected to the hospital he worked with. With a grim face, the doctor hung up the phone.

“The ambulance will be here shortly.”

”NOOOO....!” Nick yelled as his eyes looked wildly around the room.

“Nick, calm down, everything is gonna be okay,” Brian soothed.

“No, I’m okay I’m really alright, let’s just go home, okay? I want to go home..” Nick protested as he tried to flip the covers off his body.

The doctor ignored Nick’s pleas as he proceeded to get some more medical history. When the words ‘weight gain or weight loss’ came up, Kevin’s eyes locked onto Nick’s and he could see the look in his young brother’s eyes about the secret he had been sworn to about Lou Pearlman and the diet pills.

“Yes, he had tried to lose some weight, by the orders of management and not in a very good way, I’m afraid---”

“Kevin....don’t.....please!”

“What the hell?” AJ questioned. “Pearlman is a fucking jackass!”

The doctor looked at Nick’s face quickly before directing his attention to Kevin. “What kind of a diet was he put on?”

“Kevin,” Nick whined.

“He put him on some kind of diet pill,” Kevin replied as he fished into his front shirt pocket pulling out the pills that he had taken from Nick. “Here, this is what he gave him. Do you know what those are?”

The doctor took the pills from Kevin’s hand, examining them. Dr. Grost shook his head in disgust. “Anything that is prescribed is not good, especially for a young man this age that is clearly not obese.”

“He made him use laxatives,” Brian piped up.

“LAXATIVES!” Kevin echoed.

“Kaos what the hell did you do this to yourself?” AJ questioned. “There’s nothing wrong with you!”

“Because I was told to or I would be fired. You’re always calling me a fat ass so I know he was telling me the truth that I was too fat,” he quietly admitted.

“Awww Nick, is that why you would over eat so much and then try to throw it up?” Brian asked, his eyes glistening with unshed tears.

“Because of this young man, you may lose the use of your kidney functions and be on dialysis for the rest of your life or until you can get a transplant,” the doctor gruffly warned.

“It can’t be that bad, I’m sure it’s just a stupid kidney infection,” Nick dismissed the doctor’s worries.

“Bullshit!” Kevin interrupted Nick’s thoughts. “It’s because of Lou that your life is in jeapordy. I’ll be talking to him when we get you settled at the hospital.”

“Kev, please....I’m okay, just take me home to Tampa,” Nick begged.

94 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 94

Lou Pearlman had a bad feeling as he took the elevator from his suite down to the floor that the members of Backstreet had been assigned. He had been angry at how Kevin Richardson managed to keep him out of the dressing room after Carter had collapsed off stage. He laughed despite himself. He theorized that Carter was a better actor than he had ever dreamed of giving the kid credit for.

Fainting! What a wonderful excuse to get the rest of the guys in the group to pity him!

To Pearlman’s surprise as he exited the elevator, he discovered two paramedics guiding an empty ambulance cot down the hall in the same direction he was heading. At first he thought nothing of the coincidence, but as he walked further down the hallway, he was shocked to see the men stop outside of one of the Backstreet member’s room.

“What seems to be the trouble gentlemen?”

The two paramedics looked at Pearlman with weary eyes and without a reply started knocking on the hotel room door.

Twice in one evening had Lou Pearlman been ignored and he didn’t particularly care to be treated this way. He was accustomed to being treated in a manner that reflected a “respectful fear.”

“You do not have permission to enter that room, do you understand?”

The paramedics continued to knock on the door despite Pearlman’s objections.

“You idiots probably don’t speak English. I’m telling you that you can’t enter that room! Typical stupid German idiots!”

The door opened but not until after Pearlman cussed out the two ambulance drivers. Dr. Grost promptly met the paramedics. “You arrived quickly,” he stated to the two in German.

Nick eyed the arriving cot and the two paramedics with fear in his eyes. Catching the sight of Lou Pearlman walking behind them sent chills down his fever plagued body.

“I’m f-fine, we don’t have to do this,” he protested, more for Pearlman than for himself.

“The boy is right, you people have no business taking Nick anyplace without my authorization,” he boomed.

“It’s because of you that Nick is being taken to the hospital,” Kevin spat.

“What are you talking about?” Pearlman challenged.

“You know damn well what Kevin’s talking about!” AJ sputtered, taking a threatening step toward the manager.

“I really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.”

“This young man is having kidney failure and from my understanding it’s from his methods he’s used to diet,” Dr. Grost explained.

Pearlman’s face paled, but he was still trying to keep control of the situation. “Nick? What is he talking about?”

“Jesus....man, you fucking know exactly what the doc is talking about,” AJ replied through gritted teeth. “The diet pills, the laxatives, the bingeing and throwing up, all just to make you happy you son-of-a-bitch!”

Pearlman laid an icy glare in Nick’s direction. Everything he had told the boy not to say was out in the open. He desperately tried to come up with some type of excuse. “Is that what Nick told you?” He shook his head as he forced a chuckle. “Well you know how Nick likes to make up stories to protect himself. I was wondering if he had been up to something by the way he’s been so sick on this tour, with all that----”

”Stop the bullshit Lou!” Kevin yelled; his fists balled at his side.

Before Kevin could punch Lou, AJ got to the fat man quicker, fists landing everywhere from the man’s face, to his jaw and then squarely in the gut. Howie and Brian had to pull AJ off before something seriously happened.

“I’ll make sure this is the last show you ever do McLean,” Pearlman hissed as he tried to straighten out his brown suitcoat.

Nick could only helplessly watch from his bed as the scene unfolded. It was all happening because of him. He fucked up again.

“Can we take the patient down to the ambulance?” a paramedic questioned the doctor in perfect English.

”You could speak English? Complete asses!” Pearlman muttered.

“Yes, all along and we are not fucking dirty Krauts for your information,” the younger of the two paramedics replied.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

With help from Doctor Grost, Kevin filled out the necessary paperwork that gave the proof that they needed about the mistreatment that Lou Pearlman and Johnny Wright had done to the group, Nick especially. After all that was going on with their young brother did Brian finally get the courage to speak up and tell Kevin and Dr. Grost that Lou had told him that he would have to wait to have surgery on his heart until the following year when the tour was overwith.

“He told you that it was okay to put off heart surgery?” Kevin questioned, shock in his eyes.

“He said I had to,” Brian quietly admitted.

“That man isn’t human,” Dr. Grost sputtered. “Heart problems are very serious issues. You shouldn’t be running around and going from country to country with a hole in your heart.”

“I’m fine,” Brian lied.

“No you’re not! If I recall, there have been a few times you needed to take some oxygen backstage,” Kevin stated. “And come to think of it, I remember your lips looking a little blue too.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “C’mon, it’s not that bad. I just wanted to tell you that Lou has had his grip on all of us.”

“Well, we’re taking the steps to get that man out of our lives and out of this contract.”

“If you’re ready, I can take you down to see your friend. I must tell you, his kidneys aren’t doing very good but I’m keeping a close watch on his BUN and Creatine levels.”

“Which are?” Kevin questioned.

“They keep track of how the kidneys are excreting wastes from the blood,” the doctor explained.

“Oh,” both Brian and Kevin replied dully.

“I must warn you that he will look a little more puffy but that is from the fluids that have been building up in his system, nothing to get too alarmed about, he’s in good hands.”

Quietly, Kevin and Brian followed Dr. Grost down the antiseptic smelling hall toward the room where Nick was in. It had been a long night and they were happy to see that he was sleeping soundly in the hospital bed; heart monitor beeping quietly off to one side.

“His face does look a little fuller,” Brian whispered. Kevin nodded in agreement.

“When do you think he will be fit to go home?” Kevin asked.

“That all depends on Nick and how his body responds to treatment. If he didn’t have to fly home for a month, I’d be happy.”

“A month!?” Brian and Kevin gasped.

“Give or take.”

“I’ll go with less than a month, I’m sorry I know we’re talking about Nick’s health, but wouldn’t he be better off at home than in a German hospital? No offense doctor,” Brian wondered outloud.

“None taken,” Dr. Grost smiled. “I’ll see what I can do to speed up the process to get him in shape.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Yes Jane.....I’m sorry but we can’t let Nick fly home until the doctor gives his okay,” Kevin sighed as he spoke into the receiver to a very impatient Jane Carter. “Yes ma’am, I know ma’am......I’m really sorry but he’s doing all he can for him right now......”

Brian could only shake his head as he listened to his cousin’s side of the phone conversation. Knowing Mrs. Carter as he did, he knew no doubt that Kevin was getting an earful from her right now.

As Kevin pulled the receiver away from his ear as Jane yelled, Brian’s suspicions were instantly confirmed. “NO! Are you crazy? I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but Nick is in the hospital because of Pearlman!......no, I really can’t explain it right now, it will have to wait......no ma’am.......yes I promise I will.”

Kevin softly hung the phone up, leaving his hand on the receiver momentarily before Brian spoke.

“She in a bad mood?”

“Worse.”

“Worse? How?”

“She thinks this is ridiculous and that it’s some type of crazy game that Nick’s playing and that he really isn’t that sick or at least sick enough to be in a hospital in Germany. She wants Nick to just get up and leave the hospital....I don’t understand that woman at all.”

“I hate to sound disrespectful about Mrs. Carter,” Brian sighed before he continued, “but I think all she cares about is the money she is loosing the longer Nick is out of commission.”

Kevin shook his head negatively as he folded his arms across his chest. “I’m never going to be able to figure out that woman as long as I live.”

”YO....are you guys having a party or something in there!?”

Kevin and Brian winced hearing AJ beating on the hotel room door, yelling in the hall.

“AJ! Keep it down....there are people in the hotel,” Kevin admonished as he flung the door open.

“I tried to keep him quiet, but you know how uncooth he can be,” Howie quietly apologized.

“Uncooth? Since when have you become better than me?”

“Than I,” Kevin corrected.

“What-the-fuck-ever,” AJ sputtered as he sauntered into the hotel room, placing a cigarette to his lips.

Brian reached out, snatching the cigarette. “NO SMOKING!”

“I’m not smoking,” AJ defended.

“Well you were going to....”

Kevin sank down onto an empty bed, rubbing his closed eyes. “Guys.....please quit the bickering and let me think...”

“Got a headache Kevy?” AJ taunted.

Brian shot a warning glare at his tattooed brother. After patiently waiting a few moments for Kevin to fill them in on what he was thinking about, Howie broached the silence.

“Kev, tell us what you’re thinking about, maybe we can help whatever is bothering you....I know it’s about Nick, but remember, we’re a team.”

Sighing as he laid his body back onto the bed, Kevin stared at the ceiling for a moment before he replied. “Well, I guess we’re in this deeper than we’d like to be and I’m trying to figure out a way for us to fly home when Nick is ready to be discharged from the hospital....”

“We’ll just get the tickets transferred to a later flight, no problem,” AJ stated with confidence.

Kevin shook his head. “I wish it was that simple, Pearlman told me that he was pulling our tickets if Nick didn’t get out of the hospital by Friday....tomorrow.”

“He can’t do that!” AJ rasped.

“He can and he will,” Kevin corrected. “I guess the only thing I can do is have you, Brian and Howie go on and fly out tonight as scheduled and I’ll have to figure out how Nick and I will get home.”

“We’re not leaving you,” Brian replied.

“That’s right, we’re a family and families stick together,” Howie agreed.

“But how can we come up with the funds to get our flight home? No, you guys are better off just going on as planned.”

“There is still someone we can talk to Kevin....”

The dark haired singer raised himself up on his elbows, looking at his cousin.

“We’ll have to talk to Johnny, it’s our only other option and I’m sure he won’t be as cruel as Mr. Pearlman has been to us.”

“Why the hell do you think Johnny will listen to anything we have to say? He’s in this so deep with Pearlman that he’s too scared to take a shit without Pearlman’s permission,” AJ spat.

A solemn expression washed over Brian’s face. “Because we can make a deal with him to leave him out when we file the lawsuit.”

95 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 95

Nick Carter isn’t a wuss.

The sentence sounded easy enough, Nick decided as he repeated it mentally over and over again. He gritted his teeth each time a lab tech came in to draw blood from him every hour on the hour, telling himself that very same phrase over and over again.

Nick Carter isn’t a wuss.

The longer he laid in the hospital, Nick was having a harder time convincing himself he was anything but. The medical personnel that bustled into his room speaking only German - sometimes thickly accented English, poking and prodding him every which way. It took everything Nick had in himself to keep from crying out when they would tap on his stomach or God forbid, his back!

No one ever really told him of his condition. Their looks alone was enough to scare him out of ever getting another bladder infection again. That had to be what caused him to get here in the first place, wasn’t it? Nick shook his head as he tried to clear out his foggy brain trying remember why he was sent to the hospital.

A young nurse breezed into the room carrying fresh linens.

“Ma’am, could I have some water or something to drink......I’m really thristy,” Nick asked.

The young woman uttered something back to him in German and left the room.

“I hope that meant she’s getting me something,” Nick mumbled to himself as he stared at the IV bag hanging on a pole beside his bed. He kept blinking his eyes in a desperate attempt to keep from falling asleep, but soon the battle was lost.

A familiar scent of cheap cologne wafted into Nick’s nose, practically interrupting his much needed rest. Instead of opening his eyes to address the visitor that he figured would be Lou Pearlman, Nick opted to fake sleep praying that the man would give up and leave his room.

The creaking of a chair as Pearlman sat down indicated to Nick that the manager wasn’t going to leave. The next sound literally made Nick’s heart skip a beat.

“Johnny..... you need to let Richardson know that Carter will be leaving the hospital today after I talk to him and that they all need to get their things around to leave on the early flight.....it was cheaper.......they will be leaving because if Carter wants to play sick he can do it in the states or he will have to figure out how they can get money to buy their own damn tickets.”

’Play sick....was he really that bad or not...why was he here in the first place?’ Nick wondered as he kept his eyes closed. His acting skills paid off for him once again as he let out a soft moan and rolled his head back and forth as he slowly opened his eyes once he was certain that Pearlman had ended his phone call.

“Well boy, I was wondering when you’d wake up, you must have been asleep for a long time,” Pearlman grunted.

Faking a yawn, Nick shrugged his shoulders.

“Well let’s pull those tubes from you and get out of this place so we can get ready to fly back to the states,” Lou encouraged.

Nick’s eyes widened. “P-pull the tubes?”

“Yeah, just yank the IV out and get dressed.”

“I think I’ve got more on me than an IV....”

“Those heart things can be taken off, it’s nothing...”

Nick’s face reddened. “I’ve got something on m-my, um, you know...”

Pearlman raised an eyebrow in question and then burst out in a belly laugh when Nick gestured toward his lower region.

“Oh you got a thing attached to your dick? Just pull it off...”

Nick’s eyes widened again and he began shaking his head furiously.

“If you want to stay here, that’s your own damn business but you have to find out how to get your ass back home if you don’t leave the hospital today. Do you think you can afford your own flight?”

“No sir,” Nick squeaked.

“Well then start pulling and I’ll get your clothes from the closet,” Pearlman offered.

“Don’t you think we should wait and talk to the doctor before I just get up and go?”

“I’ve already taken care of that,” the manager lied. “Hurry up and get yourself ready.”

Lifting the covers away from his body, Nick looked down at the catheter. He had never had one of those things attached to him before so he was understandably scared of how it would feel when he pulled it off. Would it hurt or would it make a loud popping noise? The latter thought made Nick smile despite himself. Taking a deep breath in, he grabbed onto the flesh colored tube and pulled.

”SON OF A BITCH! he yelled when it felt like electrical currents raced through his body. To make matters worse, the action of pulling the catheter spilled some urine onto the bedding. He looked at the reddish tinged urine that had baptized his sheet with dismay.

“Sh-h-h-h, don’t wake up the entire hospital wing,” Pearlman admonished.

“It’s red!” Nick whispered harshly.

“Well it would be wouldn’t you think since you just pulled something out of your body, now get the IV out and get dressed!”

“I don’t want to,” Nick whimpered.

Pearlman reached for the tubing. “You’re such a baby.....a fat, six foot baby!”

Nick narrowed his eyes at the manager as he pulled his arm from the fat man’s reach. “I am not a baby!”

His attempts in moving away from the manager proved futile and he quickly let out a yelp in pain when the IV was jerked from his hand.

”SHIT WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!”

“Watch your tone with me Carter! Not a word about any of this to anyone do I make myself clear?”

“If it’s okay for me to leave why do I have to keep quiet about this?”

Pearlman pasted a smile on his face. “No, not about the leaving the hospital, I mean about me pulling your IV and you taking out your catheter, that’s all.....they kinda frown upon patient’s taking their own things out around here but we’re just in a hurry and I hate to waste anymore time in here.”

“Oh.”

“Just get dressed, hurry up,” Pearlman ordered as he stood next to the bed.

Nick clutched the covers up to his chest. “I’m not gonna get dressed with you standing there staring at me and watching,”

Pearlman let out a loud sigh as he turned away. “Hurry up then.”

He quickly removed the hospital gown and slipped the hooded sweatshirt over his head. “Shit....my hand is bleeding all over the place.”

Without missing a beat, Pearlman reached over and grabbed a tissue and handed it to the young blonde.

“Thanks.”

“Hurry up boy.”

Nick stared at the manager until Pearlman remembered and quickly turned his back to him once again. Gingerly picking up a leg, he pulled his socks on, one at a time. The next challenge was getting the cotton briefs on over his especially tender private area. He shook his head as he tearfully pulled the material up mentally cursing Pearlman as he finished his task.

“Are you done yet?” the manager snapped.

Grunting as he pulled his body to a sitting position, Nick huffed a quick “in a sec” as he continued to pull his sweatpants on.

Turning around to look at his young charge, Pearlman’s mouth dropped slightly open as he took in Nick’s pale, sweaty features. He quickly dismissed his shock and offered the young man his sneakers. “Slip these on and we can get going.”

Nick slowly tied his shoes as Pearlman kept pacing from the door back to the bed. He could sense that the manager was anxious about something but didn’t want to press him knowing that his mood could explode at any given moment.

“Okay, c’mon kid, we have a plane to catch,” Pearlman coaxed as he grabbed Nick’s upper arm.

The young man slowly raised himself from the bed and walked toward the door with slow, shuffling steps. Pearlman was practically dragging a painful Nick along with his quick strides. Nick blanched when Pearlman opened the door to the stairwell.

“Can’t we take the elevators?”

“There’s no time, you’ll have to do the stairs,” the manager ordered quietly.

The musty smelling stairwell seemed dark and uninviting to Nick and he took a hesitant step through the doorway. Although he trusted Pearlman, he reluctantly followed the fat man down the dark steps. After the third landing, Nick found himself short of breath and started coughing. Upon hearing the coughs, Pearlman stopped and turned around finding the young blonde grasping the stair rail with one hand; the other covering his mouth as he coughed.

“Are you going to be okay?” he asked, a hint of concern edged in his voice.

“Yeah,” Nick wheezed, catching his breath before he started coughing again.

“Is it too dusty in here?” Pearlman hoped, knowing that Nick had allergy induced asthma - among other lists of ailments.

“Something....... like...... that....... I....... guess,” he struggled to answer.

Moving back up the stairs toward Nick, Lou couldn’t help but look at the ashen color of the young man’s face. Immediately he started to question his decision of taking Nick away from professional medical care.

“Do you want me to get someone?”

Barely squelching another coughing bout, Nick shook his head negatively. “I’ll be okay, just gimme a minute.”

There was doubt in the manager’s eyes. “Are you sure?”

As much as Nick wanted to say no, the fear of being labeled a ‘wuss’ or a ‘girl’ popped into his head. “No, I’ll be fine.”

Listening to the young man’s labored breath, Pearlman started patting his suitcoat pockets and shirt pocket, hoping for some small miracle that he had one of Nick’s inhalers stashed inside.

Slowly Nick stood up again. “Let’s go, I’m getting cold.”

“Okay but let me know when you need to stop again, we have a few more flights to go down, unless you want to just go out this door and get on an elevator....”

Nick coughed. “Elevator please.”

Pulling the heavy steel door open, Pearlman gestured with an outstreatched arm. “Elevator it is.” As Nick passed through the open door, Pearlman clamped a hand on his shoulder. He was shocked to find it extremely warm. “Ah Nick? Did they say you were still running a temp?”

“I dunno.....to be honest with you, I don’t even remember or know why I’m here in the first place.”

As Lou started to open his mouth to tell Nick why he was taken to the hospital, Nick cut him off.

“I think it was for something stupid....the bladder infection....you know, German doctors go a little crazy about stuff, right?”

The dinging of the elevator announced that it had arrived and as the doors slid open, Nick took a faltering step toward the entry. Pearlman was quick to offer a helping hand, keeping him from falling over.

“Whoa, easy there......”

After they got on the elevator, Nick leaned his body against the wall; his eyes closed. Pearlman couldn’t help but notice this gesture and his heart sank in his chest.

“Nick, I think this is a bad idea, maybe I should take you back to your room.”

Keeping his eyes closed, Nick waved the manager off. “No, I’ll be fine, I’m just a little tired.” If the truth were told, Nick wasn’t feeling any better, he was more scared about being stranded in a German hospital with no money and no way to get home to Florida.

“This is just plain nonsense, I’m taking you back to your room!”

Nick’s eyes widened at the manager’s threat.

”NO! I’ll be fine! Just take me back to the hotel, I’ll be fine after I go to sleep.”

Pearlman narrowed his eyes at the feverish looking teen. “Are you sure about this?”

The elevator reached the lobby floor and the doors slid open. Nick quickly stepped off.

“Postive.”

96 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection- Chapter 96 Nick felt miserable. Pure and utterly miserable, almost on the verge of dying. He had tried to tough it out but now he was starting to think that he wouldnīt make it any longer. At first thought he really wanted to get out of the hospital afraid that he would be all left alone while the others went back to the states. It was this that drove him into folllowing Lou but now it didn’t seem like such a good idea anymore. The fever that ran through his veins combined with the cool air in the car made him feel like he was stuck in a freezer even tough it was sunny and warm outside. One time he was sweltering hot only to next start shivering like a madman.

Surpressing a cough he was reminded that his health had been faltering throughout the whole tour. It seemed like ages since he had felt well and now he was constantly batteling pain in one form or another. Recently the pain had been so bad that he was sure that he would never be well again. Heīd suspected for a while that it could be something more than just the common flu but Lou’s threats had made him try to act like nothing was wrong. The obese manager had told him repeatidly that he nothing but a lazy fatass and that his health problems came from not taking better care of himself. The more times heīd heard it the more he started to believe him and when he wanted to tell the manager to stop or tell the rest of the guys he was too deep into the shit that he couldnīt stop.

When he was at the hospital heīd overheard the staff talking about that he his appearance looked off and that they were suspecting he was on diet pills. Upon being asked this he had confirmed it but told them that it heīd stopped taking them when he notice it made him sick. The hospital personnel hadnīt got a chance to check up on this and this way Nick still had the small pills wrapped up in a paper in his pocket. Just in case he would need it later on.

With a groan he pulled his jean jacket closer to his body, trying to get some heat into his shivering system. His head ached so bad and no matter what he did he couldnīt get any heat into his freezing body. His stomach and back still hurt and nausea made itself present. Trying to get some comfort, he leaned his hot and sweaty face against the cool car window, but this only served to worsen the ill feeling that his body harbored and instead he wrapped his arms closer around himself and then sank further down into the seat. Swallowing hard he did his best to try and block out the sun beams that cut through the windshield since it hurt his eyes and head even more. "Unghhh," biting his lip it took every ounce that he had not to cry out loud when the van hit a bump, sending pain cross his back. "Fuck!" Through clenched teeth he stealed himself from cussing out too many obscene words.

"You awake?" Lou’s booming voice cut through the silence and before he could react the older man reached out to feel his forehead. Touching the warm forehead he muttered, "Damn I thought your fever went down."

A bit surprised over the almost humanitarian words, Nick did his best to swallow back the tears that were threatening to spill over and he mumbled quietly, "It hurts."

"What hurts? Your stomach? Back? What?" Lou sounded irritated like he was worried that he was once again screwing up his plans.

"My..my ba..back." Nick sobbed when he felt the tears starting to roll down his cheeks. Quickly he tried to wipe them away, not wanting to be told that he was a crybaby, but he couldnīt help himself. Fever had always made him want to cry and that combined with the fierce feeling in his kidneys had him loosing his control.

The manager muttered something unclear before reaching out into the glove compartment, pulling out a white bottle of pills. "Here you go," he barked tossing the bottle into Nick’s lap, "take a couple and maybe youīll feel better."

With shaking hands Nick reached the bottle only to discover that it was nothing stronger than Tylenol. Mentally he screamed inside, his strong pain killers were wearing off and Lou thought that he would feel better from something as common as Tylenol! With a sigh he opened the bottle, pouring out three pills into his palm. He knew it was a much higher dose than he was allowed but then again, he was in a much greater pain than he had ever experienced before which had him more or less begging for relief. Just when he was about to ask for water the manager tossed him an open bottle to him, not bothering to glance at him.

Unscrewing the cap he took a mouthful only to spit it out the next second. The water was pisswarm and smelled and tasted bad. Before he had a chance to react Lou snatched the bottle from him yelling, "What the hell are you doing boy? Are you spitting on the seat?”

"So..sorry," the teen stuttered, wanting to slap himself in the face for sounding so pathetic. Yet he couldnīt stop himself since this whole situation was starting to drain him out and he was quickly loosing all the energy. "It..it just tasted funny."

Lou who had calmed down handed him back the bottle, "There you go... Itīs just been out in the sun too long. Nothing that can hurt you..wash it down boy.

A bit confused Nick accepted the water. Lou was acting more and more unreliable each day and his mood was constantly going up and down. One time nice and then quickly change to stab the person in the back. At first the guys had blamed it over the manager being too busy but there were times when Nick actually wondered if the older man liked being mean, running people down, even if he had a hard time thinking that someone could be that evil besides Lou had his moments when he could be really nice too, even if they were becoming less frequent.

Blocking out the bad smell from the water he quickly drowned down the three pills. The thirst was driving him crazy yet he couldnīt allow himself anything more to drink since he was afraid that it would make him feel sick. Correction would make him feel sicker! Once his task was completed he sank down in the seat again, curling up into a ball. The humming from the engine combined with the rocking motion of the van made his eyes feel heavy and soon he found himself engulfed in a restless sleep.

********************************************

It was a riot outside. Hundreds of dedicated BSB fans had gathered outside the hotel, waiting and screaming, hoping to get a glimpse of their favorite Backstreet Boy. Guards as well as bodyguards did their best to fend off the girls that were threatening to tear the place down and they had formed a human fort. There wasnīt a chance that any of the guys could get out at the front since they would be crushed if they even attempted to stick a foot outside. The traffic was shutdown outside the hotel and while the fans were outside screaming their heads of four of the boyband sat safely inside, waiting in the lobby. Suitcases and luggage scattered all around the floor since they were a large crew if you counted the band and everybody that was traveling along.

"Where the hell is he?" Johnny muttered silently, mosly to himself after checking his wrist watch for the umpteenth time that past hour. Lou had disappeared after breakfast, saying that he had some business to tend to, and now he was over 45 minutes late. If he kept up this pace they would be too late to go to the hospital for a quick visit before going to the airport. Even if Johnny could care less he knew that this would upset the guys very much and the last thing he wanted was to get them in a more agitated mood than they already were, especially due to the last days situation.

Johnny felt bad over the way everything was going and frankly he couldnīt understand how the head manager could act the way heīd has and now he wished he had stopped this stupidity long before since he knew about Lou’s dieting plans on Nick and had done nothing to stop it. The least he could do was to try and work it all out and when it came clear that Nick couldnīt go back home and would have to stay at the hospital Johnny had agreed to stay with the kid until either his parents came over or he was well enough to fly back home. Judging from past experience he feared it would be the latter.

Catching a glance at the rest of the guys he saw that they were in a miserable state, much due to the wild after party where several of them had drowned their misery in alcohol and was now paying the price with one hell of a hangover. Brian was the only one that was fit for fight since he had stayed at the hotelroom, claiming that he was too tired to go out partying but Johnny knew better. The Kentuckian was much too shook up over Nick’s faltering health and the fact that the teen was at the hospital had put a damper onto things.

Brian was the only one to catch Johnny’s eye. Frowning he said, "If Lou doesnīt come back soon we wonīt be able to go and see Nick and then I will get really upset." His tone was light but the black man knew that the young man could be both cold and hard when it came to things and persons that mattered much to him and Nick was such a person.

Beside the obvious hangover a flare of exhaustion hung low in the room and more than one of the guys was suffering from a bad headache. The tour had been streneous both physically as well as mentally and Nick’s sudden illness did nothing to help the situation. Brian blamed himself since he had seen the signs but done nothing to help his friend. The realization that he had been eating dietpills like candy as well as making himself throw up had scared the older man dearly and he felt nothing but hatred towards Lou who had put their friend into this position. But he also felt guilty for doing everything to get away from Nick these past weeks since the teens strange mood had really put him off. Now he felt really bad knowing that he had done nothing to prevent the situation from getting this far and in that way help him before he was getting too sick.

Heīd talked to Kev the night before and in tears told his cousin how bad he felt. The older man had done everything to comfort but it hadnīt helped much since Brian felt deep inside that he had let his friend down by not standing up for him when he needed him the most. AJ had been right when he had said in a heated moment that all Brian did was talk to Leighanne on the phone and trying to act like everything was just peachy when it was total chaos.

Kevin, who had been rubbing his temples furiously, looked up, "Lou is acting out of his boundries and Iīm starting to get fed up with playing his games. If he scews this up with us going to see Nick I will make sure that he will eat it all up since he is doing nothing but treating us like crap." The oldest band member was in a bad mood and the rest knew that when he was in a pissy mood they all had to watch their tongues. Rule number one: You donīt upset a hungover Kev!

Both Howie and AJ was too hungover to say anything and their pale complexion told Johnny that they should be in bed instead of traveling across the globe. Yet it was all a matter of their own doing and he felt no pity upon their condition. Brian on the other hand was the only one that was well enough to snap up what Kevin was talking about. "Yes I agree. This time he has really done it. Itīs mainly his fault that Nick has gotten this ill since he refused to give him treatment and even paid off a doctor to get him a green card when he had no business being onstage." The words were hard and cold and they were directed to the black manager who looked like he wanted to be out of the place. "And forcing Nick to diet in the way that he did should be enough for suing," Kevin said with threat in his voice staring hard at Johnny.

The black manager felt uncomfortable, yet there was very little he did to reveal any emotions. Johnny knew that the guys all had the right to be upset, yet there was very little he could do to change the situation. Lou had acted out of place and it had all gotten out of hand and now they were paying the price. He knew that if the guys wanted to they could slap him with a suit so fast that his head would spin and now he could only hope that they didnīt have the power to do so since it would mean bad publicity and that was the last thing the board would accept. Meanwhile Johnny had to do everything to try and straighten up the situation and that was a hard task to do since he knew that their trust in him had been tested.

Just when he was about to pick up the phone to call Lou and ask where the hell he was, the fat manager turned up, surprising them all. "Hurry up, The van is parked at the loading docks and we have to get going before all these damned fans storm the place." Johnny as well as the rest of the guys, especially Kevin and Brian, opened their mouths to ask him what he meant by being an hour late when Lou cut them short. "Hurry your fat asses up or you wonīt make it to the airport."

"Airport?" Brian was the first to pick up the situation. "I thought we were going to see Nick at the hopsital.."

"Did I tell you to talk Littrell?" The obese manager said, wiping his forehead with a handkerchief. "I told you to get going didnīt I?" With that he pushed the man in front of him towards the kitchen entrance. "Hurry up or it will be too late. It’s a damned madhouse outside." The guys must have picked up the urgency in the situation and soon they followed the manager without further words into the waiting van just to be met with a big surprise waiting for them.

Nick!

97 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 97

“What the hell is Nick doing here? I thought we were going to the hospital to see him before we left,” Kevin moaned as he entered the van.

“Hello to you too,” Nick mumbled back in reply, drawing a thin blanket tighter to his chest.

”Move it people! We don’t have time to chit-chat....time is money,” Pearlman barked, sending the rest of the men to literally jump into the awaiting vehicle.

Brian took his place next to the ailing teen while Howie, AJ and Kevin took the bench seat behind Nick and Brian.

“Why aren’t you still in the hospital?” Brian whispered.

“Because the doctors said it was fine for him to leave,” Pearlman replied from the front seat. “Isn’t that right, Nick?”

“Something like that I guess,” he replied after swallowing hard. He hated to lie to his best friend but he was afraid of what Pearlman would do if he told the truth......that he wasn’t discharged.

Brian looked at Nick with an eyebrow arched in question. “Honestly?”

Pearlman turned to look at the young blonde, giving him a pleading look mixed with in with a touch of threat.

“Yeah, Mr. Pearlman asked me a couple of times if this is what I wanted and I said yes, I’m okay.”

“You heard it from Carter, he said he felt fine so just leave it at that.”

Carefully, Nick shifted his body and leaned his head against the cool glass window, closing his eyes. He hoped that this would end the conversation.

“You really don’t look like you’re okay to me,” Brian said as he looked at Nick.

“I’m gonna try and take a nap, I’m tired just tell me when we get there,” Nick mumbled.

With a sigh, Brian realized that Nick’s side of the conversation was ended. It seemed as if he was hiding something from them. Brian had no idea what it was but he was determined to find out what.... He knew that Lou had a hold over the young man and the way he always badgered Nick, no doubt he threatened him with something else that Nick seemed to be so easily agreeable with Pearlman.

Glancing over his shoulder, he noted that Kevin was sandwiched in his seat between Howie and AJ; reading glasses perched ontop of his nose, no doubt he was reading another contract. Johnny Wright was seated behind the trio.

“Hey Kev.....Kevin...”

“Littrell, be quiet and just leave everyone alone with your theories about how bad Nick looks. The kid is just tired...that’s all....plain and simple,” Johnny sneered.

“Can’t you see he’s more than just tired Johnny, look at him. Seriously just for a minute can’t you see----”

”I hear way too much chatter going on back there,” Pearlman’s voice boomed from the front seat of the van.

“Keep your mouth shut if you know whats good for you Bri-an,” Johhny warned.

As Brian opened his mouth to protest he immediately closed it when Kevin tossed a warning glare his way. Pulling the bill of his ball cap over his eyes and then folding his hands across his chest, Brian slumped down into his seat.

’It’s always when I want to say something Kevin gets a stick up his ass and tells me to shut up,’ Brian mentally sulked.

The van took the turn into the airport too sharply and a sudden cry from Nick jerked Brian out of his self loathing thoughts.

“Nicky, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” he panted in a pain-filled whimper.

Looking at Nick’s ashen complextion Brian realized he was anything but fine. Not only did his face appear pale and gray, the lids below his eyes looked swollen.

“I don’t believe you......please tell me what’s wrong....”

“I said I’m fine,” Nick replied quickly through gritted teeth.

“Leave Carter alone with the twenty questions, we’re at the airport, grab your carryon shit and move...NOW!

Nick whimpered as he leaned forward to retrieve his backpack, Brian laid his hand gently over the top of Nick’s. “I’ll get it, okay?”

As much as he wanted to argue with Brian, he was grateful, especially when he realized that it would have been difficult to pick the bag up let alone carry it through the airport. “Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Kevin noticed how Nick struggled to exit the van as well as how he stood with a stooped posture as if he were guarding his side for some reason. Shaking his head, he quickly stepped up to the young man’s side, offering an arm around his waist to help support Nick as he walked. “This is so fucking crazy,” he muttered under his breath.

They barely made it down the airport hall when Nick stopped in mid-stride, the occasional soft coughing had finally led up to frequent coughs.

“Are you okay Nicky?” AJ called out as he turned to see what was going on.

“I....I....*cough* c-can’t *cough* c-c-catch ma-my *cough*”

Brian’s eyes widened in worry as he watched Nick struggle to catch a breath. “It’s his asthma....where is his puffer, do you have it?”

“Calm down Brian,” Kevin stated in a calm voice as he patted Nick’s shirt pocket.

Nick shook the older man away as he continued to cough.

“Nickolas, where is your inhaler?”

The urgent tone in the older mans voice practically scared Nick. “I’m fine.” The words barely escaped his lips when he was sent gasping for air once again.

“Kaos, you’re anything but fine,” AJ gasped as he started patting down Nick’s pants pockets. Before Nick could pull himself away from AJ’s reach and call him queer, AJ produced the white Albuterol Inhaler. “Here!”

Instead of grabbing the puffer, Nick pushed it away with an open hand. He knew the difference between an asthma cough and the cough he was having at the moment. This clearly wasn’t asthma.

“Kaos, take the goddamn puffer now! Kevin urged.

“It won’t help,” Nick argued between coughs.

“Bullshit.......take the goddamn thing now!” AJ insisted. “Take it or I’ll shove it down your throat!”

“Nick...please you gotta do this or it will get worse,” Howie pleaded.

Shaking his head, Nick broke away from Kevin’s grasp and leaned against the nearby wall, sliding his body down to the floor. “I just need to rest for a sec.”

“Do you want me to get a cart? We can get one so you can ride to the waiting area,” Brian offered.

Nick declined the offer. “I’m fine I just need to rest a minute.... I think I’ve done too much since getting out of the hospital I guess.”

“Yeah, done a lot there Kaos, just walked from the van about two hundred yards or something,” AJ said as he rolled his eyes. “You look like shit and you probably feel like it too, am I right?”

Nick’s hopes of being invisible didn’t last long as a crowd of people were starting to gather behind his brothers and some of them had the gall to snap pictures. This only served as getting Lou Pearlman’s attention also.

“Why the fuck are you sitting on the floor Carter?” Pearlman hissed quietly.

“It’s called having an asthma attack,” AJ sarcastically replied.

Pearlman glared at the tattooed singer before training his stare at the pale teen on the floor. “He seems to be breathing fine to me.”

Pressing the palms of his hands on the floor, Nick grunted as he struggled to stand up. “I’m fine I just needed to rest a sec,” he apologized.

“Good, then lets keep moving or we’ll miss our flight, remember time is money boys...”

Brian looked at his cousin and rolled his eyes as he mouthed the words that Pearlman said. They had heard that line one time too many.

”NICK....ARE YOU OKAY?” a fan cried out.

“Nick is fine......just fine, I think the time change threw him a curve,” Pearlman lied with a fake smile pasted on his lips.

Without warning, a group of young fans rushed up to Nick, catching him offguard, flattening his body roughly against a wall. As soon as Nick’s body made contact with the hard wall, he quickly cried out in pain.

“Nick! Awwww Nick!” the young girls screamed as they pawed at their idol.

With pain-filled eyes, Nick looked wildly around for someone to save him from the mess he was caught up in. He desperately wanted to sink down to the floor and curl up into a ball but the girls seemed to be intent on pulling and clawing at anything they could wrap their hands on - his hair......his shirt.

”I GOT IT I GOT IT! a girl shrieked as she ran away with a tuft of blonde hair in her fist.

Kevin, Brian, AJ and Howie stood back in horror as they watched the scene unfold, helpless in being able to aid their brother.

“Goddamn Lou for wanting to leave here without security,” Kevin muttered as he watched on.

“I sure as hell ain’t gonna stand here and watch that kid get eaten alive,” AJ rasped. Tossing down his bag, he sprinted head on toward the group of girls that surrounded Nick. ”LADIES....PLEASE! LETGO OF HIM NOW!”

”AJ.......don’t..... Howie was barely able to call out before AJ jumped into the girls like he was heading for a mosh pit at a concert.

Kevin turned toward the obese manager and his assistant Johnny. “You got us into this now you get us out of this.” The managers didn’t move, just gawked at the scene with mouths hanging open.

Shrill whistles indicated that airport security had arrived, battons in air ready to use them to fend off the young women. They yelled to the crowd some explict words in German which had the young ladies scrambling away from their attention. A disheveled Nick was leaning against the wall, arms still protectively placed in front of his face.

Kevin instantly rushed up to Nick, placing comforting hands on the young man’s shoulders. “Nick, it’s okay,” he soothed as he tried to guide Nick’s arms away from his face. After a few moments of pulling, he was finally successful and he was rewarded with a tear-streaked pale and scared looking teenager.

“Just another thing that will go in my notes,” Kevin muttered as he placed a protective arm around Nick’s shoulder. “C’mon Nicky, do you think you can walk the rest of the way to the waiting area?”

Nick couldn’t verbally answer but just shook his head yes.

The walk that should have only taken ten minutes had stretched to over twenty-five with Pearlman constantly looking back and giving them a stern look every two or three minutes. Nick kept his thoughts focused on the waiting area knowing that he could at least rest for a few moments before he would have to board the plane.

Besides the severe back ache he had been dealing with, now his stomach was starting to do flip flops and he was considering that it was because his jeans were starting to feel a bit tight around the waist and legs. He tried to push his discomfort out of his mind, concentrating on the lobby as he tried to swallow the nausea away.

’The lobby.....just make it to the lobby....’ Nick sing-songed in his fever riddled mind. His heart skipped a beat when Pearlman and Johnny made a turn into a large waiting area. As much as he had longed to sit down and rest, his body was telling him that he needed to hit the can.

AND NOW.

Breaking away from Kevin’s help, Nick half-walked, half-ran - as best as he could with his back ache - toward the rest rooms across the hall.

“Nick where are you going?” Kevin called out.

“With his tiny bladder, probably had to hit the head...I’ll follow him,” AJ offered with a cheeky grin.

When Nick pushed the door open to the mens room, he felt a wave of relief sweep over him only to realize two things: one, all the stalls were occupied and two, he wasn’t going to make it to a stall if it had been unoccupied. As much as he tried to will his body to make it to the sink, it didn’t work and he wound up vomiting bile onto his shirt, pants, shoes and the floor. He hadn’t had anything except for IV fluids and some water for the past two days so there wasn’t much that was coming up but fluid.

“Good god Kaos,” AJ moaned when he entered the facilities to find Nick gagging at the sink.

“S-sorry, I couldn’t make it on time,” he sheepishly apologized as he wiped his mouth off with the back of his hand. “I’ll be fine.”

“You keep saying you’ll be fine but you’re not, stop trying to convince me, okay kid?” AJ stated as he approached the paper towel dispenser.

Quickly turning on the tap, Nick cupped the cool water with his hands, splashing his face. He chanced a glimpse of his reflection in the large bathroom mirror shocked to see the paleness of his skin and how red his lips looked. “I look like shit.”

“We’ve been telling you that.”

Nick shook his head. “No I mean I really look like shit,” he moaned.

“A little soap and water will clean you up, here,” AJ handed Nick a wet paper towel.

Nick accepted the offer and dabbed at his shirt and pants to get the vomit off as best as he could. “Great, now I not only look like shit, I smell like it too.”

“Theres a cologne dispenser on the wall,” AJ stated as he reached into his pocket. “I’ve got some coins, hold on a sec, we’ll fix you up.”

Nick watched as AJ dropped coins into the machine and selected a packet of mens cologne. “I’m gonna go get your backpack and see if there is something you could change into.”

Normally Nick wouldn’t carry spare clothes in his backpack but lucky for him he happened to have stashed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt away some time ago. AJ rushed the clothes into the bathroom.

“Here, put these things on and put them in this plastic bag and hurry up, Lou is having a fit out there waiting for us. I guess we’re close to missing the flight or something gay like that.”

Taking the clothes with shaking hands, Nick moved to an empty stall and set about the painful task of undressing and redressing.

“How much time do we have before the flight?”

“Um, dunno,” AJ replied.

Moaning as he stepped out of the jeans, Nick bit his bottom lip to keep from crying out. He always hated flying as a rule, but thinking about being in a plane for twelve hours seemed more than he could handle with the way he was feeling.

“I don’t think I can do this,” he mumbled.

“What did you say Kaos?”

“I don’t think I can do this,” he repeated.

“Something wrong with the clothes I brought you?”

Tears that were threatening to spill stung his eyes. He shook his head. “Something like that, just skip it....okay?”

“Well, if you’re okay, I’m going back out to the lobby, are you gonna be alright?”

“Yeah,” Nick sighed, letting the tears finally fall.

98 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection-Chapter 98 It was mid flight when things had finally start to slow down and the guys could do other things than paying attention to Nick’s faltering health. The violent bouts of sickness had been severe and for a moment they had all been really scared when the dry heaving had continued long after he had anything to expell. Then when none of the guys thought that their little brother could take anymore his body had finally given him the respite he so badly needed and now he was asleep with his head against the plane window. It was a restless sleep, interrupted with tossing and turning, but hopefully it would last long enough to give him some energy back.

Brian, who sat next to him, wearily eyed a magazine. The labored breathing and the occassional moans or grunts that could be heard told him that his friend was in no shape or form to be flying across the globe. When he had told this to the manager, Lou had just responded that this was what Nick wanted and when he had turned to Johnny the black manager had been unaturally quiet so there was no support to be expected either.

With a sigh he looked outside to the darkening view and closing his eyes his thoughts drifted away to the high pressure the previous thought had left as well as the exhaustion he felt. Like Nick he desperatly needed a few hours shuteye before the circus was on the roll again. His parents, but also Leighanne, was expecting him back home and he couldnīt wait for the moment when he was able to step on the ground again. The tour had been fantastic in one way but also very strenuous was finally over and he would get a well needed two weeks of rest before they would start shooting a new video and going into the studio to start working on their new album. Their schedule was filled to the brim, but hopefully it wouldnīt be that lack of free time in the future since he knew that both Kevin and AJ had talked to the management over the pressure that they were constantly under. AJīs mother Denise had also tried talking to Lou and the guys and he hoped that she had some success since he didnīt know if he could take another tour like this. And if he had been bad off it was nothing compare to what Nick had been going through.

A small moan from the blonde caught his attention and catching a short glimpse he made sure that his friend was well at ease. Shaking his head he thought about how sick Nick was and came to the conclusion that this was all madness. No group or business was that important that he was willing to sacrifice his friends health, no matter how famous they were. Stirring once more in his sleep the blanket fell off Nick onto the floor. Brian picked it up instantly since the young man seemed to be shivering violently. This had him in for concern. His complexion was not pale as could be expected but red like he was suffering from heat exhaustion. To his surpise he also noticed that there were no sweatdrops dotted on his friends forehead which was unusual since Nick was a person that could sweat worse than a pig, especially when he was sick and all. The constant shivers told him that the fever was still rising and feelings of despair crept up inside of him. Brian felt that there was very little he could do.

Reviweing the recent event at the airport he decided that he had never seen Nick worse for wear which had him honestly wondering how the hospital personnel could send their patient home in the way Lou had told them it happened. There had been a time when he had trusted the manager with his whole heart but too many incidents had killed his faith in Mr. Pearlman and today no trust was left so therefore as things were starting to come clear he doubted more and more that his friend had been released from the hospital with the doctors permission.

But if it was what he expected he knew that it was very bad since that would give light to the fact that the boys own well being was not something that they cared for and instead they was sacrificed for the industry.

His own health was at stake and this scared him greatly. Lou as well as Johnny had already been on him on the heart surgery and that they wanted him to push the date aside until they had free time. At first Brian had agreed but at the last check up his doctor had told him that the surgery had to be done or else his own health would be in danger. Lou had been pissed when Brian had scheduled the surgery in May, despite all the obligations he had to attend too. He had recluctantly agreed to do touring in the summer, especially since they had made clear for him that the group had to be his number one priority. These words had him very upset and upon talking to his parents about this the Littrell’s had decided to take actions. None of the guys knew that much about this story since Brian thought that they had enough problems to deal with, beside the trouble with his surgery.

"You ok?" Kevin asked coming back from a short bathroom trip. The seat next to him sank down as his cousin tried to make give his legs some room.

"Wha..uhh..yeah Iīm fine," Brian stuttered, getting startled. "I was just thinking."

"You sure?" A hand was on his arm and Kevin’s warm eyes were filled with concern.

"Mmmm, besides its not me you should worry about..itīs Nick." He nodded with his head towards the sleeping man. "I think his fever is getting higher."

"It is?" Instantly an expression of worry dwelled over the older mans features and with a sigh he leaned over to touch the blondes cheek. "Damn he’s burning up," he said, withdrawing his hand to feel the forehead instead. "Man..its bad."

"Yes I know..but what can we do?" There was defeat in the younger mans voice as he thought that there couldnīt be much medical attention in work while flying across the Atlantic.

"We need to lower it," Kevin said while picking up his sportsbag and starting to search for something. More to himself he muttered, "I could swear I had some aspirin in the bag..." Brian didnīt say much as he watched his cousin turning the sportsbag inside out. "Damn I must have left it at the hotel, the dark man said with a sigh before zipping the bag up again. "Shit!"

"Maybe D' has some," Brian volunteered, gesturing towards their sleeping friend across the aisle.

"No he gave it to me..," Kevin sighed, running a hand across his face in a tired gesture, then he said in a much defeated tone, "Now how are we gonna get the fever down?"

They went silent for a while before Brian came with the brilliant idea, "Maybe Nick has some Tylenol or Aspirin in his bag."

"I doubt that," Kevin snorted, "but its worth giving a try." He bent down to get the backpack when Brian stopped him, "No Iīll get it. Iīm closer." With that the younger man moved Nick’s feet before picking up the black backpack. Opening it up he noticed that it was filled with stuff as always but soon he found what he was looking for. Nick’s bathroom bag. Unzipping it he noticed that it was filled with little souvenirs from hotels, soaps and shampoo bottles and he had to laugh at it all. Frack was really a collector.

If it wasnīt beanies it was comic books he collected or something else. For a while it had been those small liquor bottles he had collected but then Momma Jane had said Nope and it was the end of the story. Apparently these miniture soaps had replaced it.

"If you donīt find anything I have to ask Lou or Johnny for pain relievers," Kevin said pessimistically. "And the way things are going I rather not do that." No more words had to be said.

"Sure," Intent in finding something that could lower the fever he dug through Nick’s stuff just to come up empty handed. "Nothing."

"No shit?" Kevin sighed, "What are we going to do now?" He knew the answer before Brian said it out loud, "Well I better go and talk to Lou and check if the doctor prescribed anything for him to take..at least for his backpain and things like that."

"Mmmm-..maybe itīs for the better," Brian agreed when he noticed that there wasnīt much that could help their friend. Not that he had expected that much since Nick rarely had a pharmacy stored in his suitcase, even if he would need one.

Just when Kevin made a move to get up a thought crossed his mind, 'Maybe he has stuffed medication in his jeans that he wore when he came back from the hospital' Turning to Brian he asked, "Did you check his pockets?"

"Huh?" Brian looked like a questionmark.

"You know Nick he always stuffs things on him and maybe heīs done it again." There were a light of hope in the older mans face as he urged his cousin to continue the search.

Brian got a disgusted frown on his forehead, "Yeah I would but you know what happened with the pants that he wore.." The expression said it all and Kevin motioned with his thumb towards the plastic bag where the soiled clothes were stored. Reluctantly Brian opened the bag just to scrunch his nose up to the smell that hit his nostrils. AJ must have thought that it was bad too since he barked from his seat. "OK who cut the cheese this time?" When no one answered the young man grunted displeased just to the next second turn back to the book that he was reading.

With a determined move Brian searched the jeanspockets just to encounter something the next minute. Out of the pocket he pulled out a toilet tissue that was wrapped up like a cocoon. At first he thought it was trash when he felt something inside and carefully he unwrapped the tissue just in time to see a hand full of small white pills roll out in his palm. Bingo! He had found some pain relievers.

Kevin who was pre-occupied with going through his own stuff again in a futile attempt to find something glanced up. "You found something?" When Brian didnīt answer right away he continued, "Here let me see.."

"Yeah itīs some white pills but they doesnīt look like painrelievers to me," he stated when Kevin looked closer at the finding. In one alarming sequence the older mans complexion turned first white then red and then he burst out, "Damn..Fucking shit..I thought he had quit taking those." A bit surprised over both the outburst but also over the heat that those small pills caused Brian asked, "What is it?"

"Itīs those freaking diet pills that Lou has been pressing him to take." Kevin ran a hand through his hair, almost with a desperate expression on his face, "Shit I thought it was out of his life."

"What are you talking about?" Now it was Howie’s turn to ask when he noticed how upset his friend was suddenly getting. "What diet pills?" He didnīt have to say anything more before the Latino’s eyes darkened a shade, "Donīt tell me itīs those small ones that you took away from him earlier?"

Kevin sighed, "Yeah..Iīm afraid it is."

"Damn..I thought it was over for good with that crap," AJ joined in when the conversation turned more and more heated. "Why the hell would Nick be needing that diet crap anyway?"

Brian stole him a angry look, "Yeah you tell me Bone," he said which instantly put fuel into the fire.

"Youīre saying that I have something to do with this..this shit?" the younger man practically shouted as Brian went on that he had never shed his feelings about Nick’s weight and that this could very well be the result of it all. Nick abusing diet pills.

When the discussion got a bit too hot for all of the parts liking Howie was the one to butt in, "Itīs no ones fault. Nick is the one that has been taking this stuff and you can’t go around accusing each other for that. Instead we need to focus over helping him and right now he doesnīt need anyone bashing him for something like this..especially not when he is feeling this ill."

The guys went silent for a while before Kevin was the one to break the silence, "D is right. We wonīt gain anything by fighting..espeically not helping Nick and therefore itīs not much we can do right now. But I want you to know that Iīm keeping these as evidence over what management has forced Nick to take and who knows..maybe it comes in handy in a future trial.

"Trial..you think we should sue them for neglecting our health or something?" AJ was the one that looked a bit doubtful.

"Yes why not. Iīve spoken to my lawyer friend and he think we might have a case and that it would hold for a lawsuit to the management. Mom is supporting it and I know that Brian’s parents have been talking about it too."

"Yeah and mom has talked to Nick’s parents too..but they think that we shouldn’t do anything right now since it could just damage things," AJ said as the topic was suddenly changed from Nick’s dieting to the upcoming law suit.

"Figures," Brian sneered, getting all of the guys attention on him.

"BRIAN!" Kevin’s voice boomed, making Nick stir in his seat in the process, still not waking up.

"What?" the younger man said obnoxiously. "Come on donīt tell me that it surprises you that Nick’s parents isn’t going along with the same as ours. After all they donīt want to hurt the hand that feeds them."

"That was uncalled for," Howie said when Brian had blurted out something about Nick supporting them all and that they would rather sacrifice their son then loose money.

"Itīs Nick’s family youīre talking about," Kevin explained, "And I donīt think that they would appreciate if they heard you going on like that. And neither would Nick."

Brian snorted, "Well someone is going to have to say whatīs on everyones mind."

"I donīt get it how this discussion about the managers behavior is suddenly transformed into a discussion about Nick’s parents parenting. Howie was the one to pick up the subject and reluctantly they all agreed that it was out of forum.

After almost an hour of discussion, in a low tone what to do since the management was sitting further down in a more classier section, they all decided to form a plan. A plan that would take them out of the the hell that they were living now and as far away from Lou and Johnny as possible. Hopefully during the near future or at least as soon as possible.

99 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection-Chapter 99 Perfection-Chapter 99 Nick snapped his eyes open, bathed in cold sweat. The dream he dreamt had been so real yet surreal and for a moment he felt confused, not knowing where he was, but then he remembered that he was still on the plane going across the Atlantic. Groaning he turned his head to the side only to be met with Brian snoring, using him as a pillow. With a sigh he ran a hand through his tousled hair just to see that it came away wet from sweat.

That was strange since hot was the last thing he felt. He was freezing his butt off. As a matter of fact he froze so much that it felt like he was stuck in the Artic Pole or in a freezer.

But what made him frown was not that but he fact that his fingers were so swollen that they looked like sausages. His first thought was to show them to Kevin since it looked freakier than ever before. They were tingling with fat. On the second thought he remembered what Kevin had told him about all that junk food he was stuffing into his face and decided against it. Besides the older man was snoring away too, like the rest of the guys, and he didnīt want to wake him up for such a small matter.

Pulling the white cotton blanket closer to his body, careful not to disturb Brian, he stared out into the small plane window. It was dark outside, probably night time. He couldnīt tell for sure since his senses were really messed up. Not that it mattered. Day and night all looked alike since he was often working his butt off anyway.

Staring out in space made him feel even more lonely than before. If there was one thing that left him sad and depressed it was loneliness. Being 18 he knew that he was acting like a baby and should be more mature but he couldnīt help it that he always wanted people around him. It made him feel safe and comfortable.

Stifling his wet coughs a chill ran though his aching body making him snuggle deeper into the blanket to get some warmth. But it proved to be futile since all it did was make him sweat like a pig and the next second he had to throw it off or he felt like he would sweat to death. Like this, taking the blanket on and off, he continued for a while until another pressing matter made itself known. He had to find a bathroom! And quick!

Damned bladder infection!

As time passed he felt more and more uncomfortable and sitting up in one position didnīt make him feel any better. Shifting restlessly he hoped that Brian would wake up since he really had to go to the bathroom now. It couldnīt be helped that he had to wake the guys up. Waiting would only lead to an accident. With that in mind he moved his shoulder carefully and to his relief he noticed that the otherwise so "easily-woken-up" friend didnīt show any signs of waking up and he could finally be able to go to the wanted facilities.

Standing up proved to be a real task. He felt both dizzy and weak and his legs were shaking from the effort. On top of this his legs and joints felt really swollen and he nearly sank back down on his seat again since the moves were making him want to faint. Trying hard to bite back a groan he wondered desperately what was making him feel like a ninety year old man? It couldnīt just be the fever and the bladder infection, could it?

Another searing pain that ripped through his bladder made him aware that there was no time to loose and that he had to get moving. Fast! Relieved that he had made it past Brian he was about to let out a sigh of relief when he thought heīd managed to pass Kevin too. But it proved otherwise.

"Kaos?" A dark voice boomed out, almost making him jump in the process. His calculations had been wrong. Kev was awake.

"Mmmm." He tried to talk as little as possible, hoping to make the older man fall asleep again.

"Everything alright?" Kevin asked with concern and Nick was met with two eyes looking intensely at him.

"Yeah..eh..um..I just gotta go to the ba..bathroom." Nick could feel himself blushing which was stupid since spending 24/7 with the guys for several years had lead to them seeing him in all kinds of situations by now.

Sitting up straighter in his seat, Kevin looked a bit disheveled. "Oh," he said rubbing his hands over his face tiredly, "You want me to come with you?"

Nick blushed even more. God did he think he was that much of a baby? "NOOO I can manage by myself!" With that he hurried away down the aisle, hearing Kevin's voice calling out behind him, "Ok but let me know if you need me!"

Nick wanted to die! Man this was getting worse by the second! The guys acted so overly protective over him that he felt like he was getting strangled by it all. It was like they were afraid that he would fall flat on his face if they left him alone. The recent hospital stays had them all acting like they were some kind of parents..guarding every step he took.

Like on all planes the lavatory was very small and he had little space to tend to his business. "Man what is this?" he muttered as he tried to fit in, "are all Europeans midgets?" His irritated temper was soon changed when a searing pain shot through his lower stomach and he had to grab the sink or he thought he would pass out. It hurt so bad that he had to double over. Closing his eyes he rode the pain out, cold sweat bathing his forehead and black dots appearing in his vision.

As if things were not bad enough he couldnīt, no matter how he tried, squeeze out more than a few drops from his bursting bladder. Drops of dark red pee. And it stung like a bitch too.

"What the heck?" Staring down into the water below and to the red tinting of the bowl his thoughts were all jumbled. When had he started bleeding? Desperately he tried to think of a cause for all this and his only conclusion was that he had torn himself when he took out that damned catheter all by himself. It had hurt so bad and he wouldnīt be surprised if heīd bruised himself in the process.

Just when he decided for that option another ripping pain raced through his groin and he bent over. "Ouch!" There were tears in his eyes when he steadied himself against the wall, riding the waves out again. When had he turned into feeling like an eighty year old guy? Maybe it hadnīt been such a bad idea if heīd brought Kevin along? His older friend had proved to help him times before and right now when he was feeling nothing but miserable it would have felt good to have a firm shoulder to lean upon.

When the pain lessened he tried to stand up straighter just to sink down on the closed lid as another dizzy spell washed all over him. Closing his eyes tight he tried to get the woozy feeling to go away but it only served to make him nauseous and when the small dots appeared in his vision he knew that he had to take action or he would wipe the floor with his own body and somehow that didnīt sound too tempting. Putting his head between his legs in the same posture as Kevin had taught him to do years ago he hoped that the fog would clear off. And sure enough it happened and soon he was well enough to sit straight up again. Sweat was pouring down his face and he knew he had to look Like crap!

Nick wished he hadnīt been so stupid to listen to Lou in the way heīd done during this tour and somewhere inside his mind he thought that there was a possibility that than he wouldnīt have been so sick! Heīd made so many mistakes, like that diet crap but he never fucked up as bad as when he discharged himself out of that hospital. That was just plain stupid and he didnīt know what crossed his mind doing that. It was like every time Lou and sometimes Johnny talked to him, telling him what to do something inside him snapped and he felt just as young as heīd been when he started in this business. Twelve going on thirteen and even though years had passed he still felt like this. It was weird

Howie had once called it serious regression, at that time he hadnīt thought about what it meant but whatever it was he was sure that Sweet D had hit it on the right spot.

It wasnīt just Lou and Johnny that made him feel like this. Sometimes the guys added to it but mostly it was when he talked with his mom that left a feeling like this. She often talked to him like he was some kind of loser and even though he knew that girls loved him and they had lots and lots of fans his self confidence was down the drain.

He didnīt know how long heīd been cooped up in the bathroom when a knock on the door sent him back to reality. A bit confused he was going to say to whoever was outside that he was busy when he heard Kevin's low voice bark outside, "Nick are you in there? Come on, open up!"

Shit! How long had he been in there? Standing up his world turned 360 degrees again, but this time he was able to cope before he opened the door, "Eh..I was busy," he mumbled apologetically. Noticing Kevin's concerned frown he tried to smile but instead it came out like a grimace.

But his older brother wasnīt fooled, "God Nick, you look like crap! You better sit down before you pass out."

He opened his mouth to object when another bout of dizziness was getting itself heard, so severe that he was sure he was going to pass out. Reaching out his hands he tried to find something, a wall to steady himself against. His legs were shaking so bad and every move felt like he was on clouds and he knew that he was swaying by the way the earth seemed to move. Just when he was about to pass out strong hands grabbed at him, holding him up.

"Whoa hold on there buddy," Kevin said with his calm voice. He wanted to say something but couldnīt since it felt like his mouth was filled with cotton and he was so woozy that there was no telling whether he was standing up or laying down.

"I better get you to your seat." All Nick could do was nod as he felt Kevin holding a steady grip around his shoulder, guiding him through the aisle. He knew people were staring at him as his brother guided him, yet he didnīt care. All he wanted was to sit down somewhere since otherwise he couldnīt answer for the consequences.

"Damn Carter donīt you have your own two feet to walk with? Or are you so lazy that Richardson has to carry you?" Lou Pearlman was felling these comments.

"Canīt you see that heīsick?" Kevin sneered back, not amused at all.

"Sick? Bullshit the kid looks like heīs drunk to me. Doesnīt he Johnny?" The other manager seemed more disturbed. Lou did not care as he turned to Nick with a chuckle, "Donīt tell me boy that you stuffed your face with a whole bag of liquor candy again." Not awaiting any answers he turned towards the passenger on the other side of the aisle and started to tell the story about how Nick, at the age of 14, had eaten a whole bag of liquor chocolate and then got both drunk and sick. The female passenger looked more disturbed than amused, but she listened with delight

Nick felt like an idiot. Even if he was white as a sheet he knew that he was still blushing away. He knew heīd done many stupid things in this life and hearing his manager tell these stories to a stranger really hurt. He felt betrayed.

"I wouldnīt laugh so much if I were you," Kevin threatened getting a dark eye back. Turning to Nick he whispered into his ear, "Donīt mind him. Just concentrate on walking. Weīre almost to your seat."

It felt so good to have the guys to lean upon when things were getting rough and Kevin was an especially stable rock. His calm way of dealing with things in all situations gave him many points. He wanted so bad to tell Kevin what a great guy he was but right now he had enough with managing to stand on his two feet and not falling flat down on his face.

Just when he thought he was safe he could feel cold sweat breaking out on his forehead and things were getting very stuffy. His ears were ringing and the vision suddenly became blurry around the edges. His world most have blackened for a moment because when he woke up he was seated in his seat with the guys fussing around him like bees on a flower.

"He’s waking up you guys." Brian's voice sounded through his ears and opening his eyes he was met with his friend's concerned look. "How are you feeling?"

A mouth too dry to answer he swallowed several times just to find AJ butting into it with a, "Shit Kaos. You really freaking scared us." Nodding he shut his eyes again. God he felt so tired all of the sudden. Then as he hoped that they would leave him alone he felt an icy cold hand on his forehead.

"Howīs he doing?" This time it was Howie to show his concern. He didnīt have to answer since the hand was taken away from his forehead and a short, "He's burning up," was heard. The voice belonged to Kevin.

"What are we going to do?"

"We need to get something to lower the fever." Kevin's calm voice was shaking a bit and Nick thought it was weird since his older friend often seemed so calm and collected in all situations. Including something like this.

"Yeah but how? Weīre on a freaking plane. Flying across the Atlantic!" AJ īsounded just as worried as the rest, "Fuck Kaos why did you have to go get sick on us at a time like this?"

Nicks jumbled mind felt like scrambled eggs. Was there ever a good time to be sick? He was about to ask when Kevin felled the comment that had him almost jump out of the chair.

"A block of ice would it. His fever is dangerously high."

The last he couldnīt object too, but the first. No way that he was letting them turn him into a popsicle or more likely a Nicksickle. It was cold enough as it was.

As if his body decided to go against him another ripping pain stung in his back, and he grimaced hard. Panting. Shit that hurt! Biting his lip he hoped that the action would go unnoticed but when he heard Brian's concerned, "What is it Nick? Are you in pain?" he knew that any hopes like that would be in vain. At first he debated not to say anything but as the pain refused to go away, he also felt genuinely scared of the fact that he was peeing blood once again he mumbled, "My back hu..hurts."

"Just your back?" Howie was there with the questions.

"No..No.." It was time to drag the cat out of the bag and soon he found himself telling about all of his symptoms sobbing away through tears of pain. The guys listened the best they could but upon mentioning that he once again peed blood there was a loud gasp.

"Oh Nooo...Not again..." Brian breathed hard and Nick could do nothing but agree with him.

This was one time too many!

100 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 100

It had felt so good to finally be able to tell the guys whatīs been on his mind for so long. He spilled his guts about how bad heīd felt all the time and they had listened, not saying anything bad. Brian had hugged him while he talked and this made him feel both loved and safe for the first time in such a long time. He told them about how Lou had pressed him about his weight. Told them about the ghosts that he had to battle all the time and that heīd been tricked in taking that health drink. The more he talked, the better he felt.

AJ and Kevin were getting more and more worked up, each in their own individual way. Brian was upset too..but he was biting his feelings back so that Nick wouldnīt see them. Howie just looked sad. "How could they do this?" Brian asked when Nick was finished for now telling about Lou and the diet pills and about the hospital stay. For various reasons heīd left out the fact that heīd been overeating for some time. Fact was that it was enough to tell for now and he was starting to get more and more tired. The headache and dizziness were coming in waves, closer each time and the pain was sometimes so bad that he had to double over. But the guys were there for him.

Throughout the flight Nick's condition worsened. The ice that Kevin had placed on his forehead in a wet towel did nothing for his fever but making him even colder. His fever continued to rise in a steady pace and it was getting dangerously high. There was still a searing pain in his back as well as lower stomach and sometimes it was so intense that it made him double over. He was alternating between hot and cold and the dizziness sometimes became so blinding that he didnīt know if it was up or down. The migraine was also bad and to that came the nausea. Heīd dry heaved whatever was left in his stomach, which wasnīt much since all he had was a little water. AS if his body had decided to give him the highest amount of torture wet coughs wracked his body, making it hard to breath.

But through all of this Nick still felt good. Mentally. It had felt like the burden that heīd carried for so long was finally starting to lessen and he could feel his friends being there for him. Helping him. Guiding him through his pain.

But the best of all was that he wasnīt alone anymore. He had his brothers.

Praying to God heīd wished that the pain would be taken away. He wasnīt religious like Brian or Howie but still believed that there was a higher force that he could pray to when he was in trouble. Just like he did right now. But nothing happened and instead he felt so miserable that he felt like crying. Why wasnīt God listening to him? What evil had he done to end up in a situation like this? Why was he being this sick? Could it really be because of the dieting? Those small diet pills! His thoughts were so jumbled that they made little sense. His brain felt so hot that he feared that it would explode. The guys were swooning around him and he got to sit on Kevin's seat so he would be close to the aisle in case he had to run to the bathroom or was feeling faint. Nick thought that it had another purpose too. This was they could all gather around him, asking all kinds of strange questions that he was too tired to answer.

"Howīs he doing?" It was Johnny and Lou that had taken the time to come and see how their "teenage poster boy" was doing.

"How do you think heīs doing?" sneered Brian, still upset over the story Nick had told earlier. Turning to Lou he continued, "Why do you care?"

The manager looked a bit surprised but said nothing as Howie comfortable interrupted him.

"This is no good." Heīd just felt on Nick's forehead, "The ice and Tylenol isnīt helping much. He's really burning up and we canīt do anything to lower the temperature." There was a frown. "I wish we had something so we could measure how high his temp is."

"Like that would do him any good," Brian snorted. Surprised the rest of the men looked at Brian, who was getting more and more irritated over that the manager just standing there watching. "What he needs is to go to a hospital. Not us trying to take care of things..Nick is seriously sick.."

The teen could hear how worried his friend was and he wanted to do everything to calm him down, but his mouth wouldnīt cooperate together with his brain. He wanted to tell them all that he wasnīt as sick as he looked. All he would need was a few hours of sleep and then he would be just as good as new again. Deep inside he knew that he was just fooling himself with thinking these thoughts but heīd prayed so hard to get better and sure God wouldnīt let him down? Would he?

Another bout of wet coughs shook his body and he could hear Kevin talking softly to him in a distance. Then his older brother rubbed his back in small circles, just like his own mom used to do when he was little and sick. This motion made him calm down.

But Brian wasnīt just as calm and he and Howie were getting into a heated discussion over Nick's condition. "Thatīs what Iīm trying to tell you.." Howie stared when Brian interrupted him.

"Like we didnīt know that before!"

"Shesh B'rok..lay off Dīs back. He's just as concerned as you are and itīs not his fault that Nicky is this damned sick!" AJ, who was getting sick and tired of them all fighting over the wrong reasons butted in for his older friend. "This really sucks but there ís not much we can do until we land." Looking at his watch he continued, "Itīs only two hours left..Tops."

"Yeah but what if he gets even worse?" The words had done little to calm Brian down. "He is having trouble breathing." Suddenly the anger was directed towards the two managers who had watched the scenario in silence. Pointing to Lou he said, trying hard to level his temper, "This is all YOUR fault!"

"Huh..Come again Littrell?" Lou looked at him, challenging while Johnny did his best to get his boss to ignore the younger man.

"Itīs your fault that he has gotten this sick. If it wasnīt for you being on his case all the time since we started this tour. Itīs you that have messed up his head by keeping on calling him fat!"

"Oh I have not!" Lou smiled smugly, "You Brian and you.." He pointed at the rest of the men, "have done a good job at this. You were on his case all the time about eating junk food..I just added my own comments to this since we are living in a free country." The manager set his hard eyes into Brian's.

Before any of the men had a chance to say anything Johnny cut in, "Youīre all upset over all of this and you donīt know what youīre saying." His vain attempt to get peace was getting unnoticed.

"NO!" Brian said loud and clear getting the rest of the passengers around them looking at them with curious eyes. Yet he didnīt care. This story had been held down in the bag far too long and it was time to drag up their dirty laundry. "Youīre the one responsible for getting him discharged against doctors orders."

"Littrell I donīt know where youīre getting such an obscure idea from." The fat manager smiled at the passengers before explaining, "It was Nick's own idea to leave the hospital. Not mine. I think youīre giving too little credit to Carter to make his own decisions. He's nearly an adult, 18 years old, not some kind of kid that has to be babied all of the time." Looking at Nick he continued, "Ainīt that right son?"

Mutley Nick nodded. He always got such an unsure feeling when the manager spoke to him. And even though he knew that Lou was lying blue to him there was not much he could do to object. The manager still had too much power on him.

This move clearly satisfied the manager who smiled contempt. "See even Carter is agreeing to all of this. As a matter of fact I tried to talk his stubborn ass out of leaving the hospital." He chuckled lightly as putting on a show for the rest of the passengers, "But did it work? NO. Does Nick ever listen? NOOO."

Now AJ was getting just as pissed as Brian. "Oh yeah and you think he was responsible too for taking that "health drink" that you served that nearly had him crapping his pants at that awards show?"

Nick blushed. Why did AJ always have to be so blunt with words?

Lou's face darkened a shade, "I donīt know what youīre talking about boy!"

"Oh yeah and what about those diet pills huh? You donīt know about them either?" Now it was Brian's turn to step in.

The passengers watched the men intensely. This was better than the boring movie with Clint Eastwood in the headset. This was better than any day soap that run on the network. This was life entertainment on the highest degree.

Nick wasnīt as happy. Paling he listened to Brian and AJ spilling the beans over his secrets. Why were they all dragging up this to the manager in a situation like this? Couldnīt they see that it was only going to make it worse? Not only for him but for the rest of the guys too.

"That wasnīt the story Nick told us." Brian shot out, his eyes gleaming with anger.

"Really? What lies did the boy make up this time?"

Nick wanted to tell them all to stop but his headache was so bad that he couldnīt think clear. That combined with the wheezing sounds in his chest made him want to curl up into a ball..and die. Kevin most have sensed this. "Thatīs it..try and get some rest." The tall man was unnaturally quiet. He was watching the dispute that went on between the management and Brian and AJ but for once he didnīt add anything to it.

AJ was a different story. "If you think that weīre so stupid that we gonna tell you what he said, you better rethink." His grin made the manager see red.

"You better wipe off that smug grin from your face." Lou was not just a little upset, "Weīre in public and I donīt wanna hear anything more off this nonsense."

Brian happy that AJ was supporting him, opened his mouth to voice his opinion when a southern drawl filled the cabin. "As much as I would like to state what I think about what went on with Nick these past months I think itīs not the proper time nor place to do so."

Kevin was trying to rescue what was left of the evidence that they had been presented with earlier on. He was sure that the management would be in for a big surprise the day they sued them and as things were going it looked like they had build a pretty solid case too. Pearlman and his gang would be sued for neglecting Nicks and the rest of the guys health and refusing hospital care. They would also sue the management for stealing the money that they had the right to have. It was a long story that lead up to a contract. Even if that had been on his mind lately Kevin's priority was to make sure that Nick got the medical care that he needed. No money could be that important. But after that was settled he was set to call up his lawyer friend to give away even more details. But for now he didnīt want the men to suspect anything. "Í donīt like the way things are going with Nicky and we need to concentrate on that instead." He was doing his best to divert the management into other thoughts.

Apparently it succeeded since Johnny was the one to pick up the thread.

There was a frown on the black manager's forehead. This situation was starting to get out of hand. He didnīt like it better than any of the guys, but Lou had his neck in such a tight grip and there were nothing he could do to get out of the snarl. His previous affairs with the hookers over at Hugh Heffners mansion wouldnīt look good in pubic, neither would the IRS hunting him for years of neglecting taxes. Even though all of this happened years ago he didnīt think for once that Lou wouldnīt drag all of this up if he turned against his boss. Donna, his wife that for once had been invisible during this tour, had very expensive habits and he knew that if Lou pulled the threads to his mighty powerful business associates he would be gone in a jiffy. With not even a nickel in the bank and if things came to worst he could be rattling bars for several years too.

Johnny knew better than to have Mr. Pearlman as his enemy since heīd seen men with his own eyes being crushed like cockroaches under the obsessed managers thumb. He just hoped that the guys were wiser than that and that they realized that battling Lou would be like battling the whole firm. Hell it wasnīt for nothing it was called The firm either. If they chose to go against Lou he also knew that they would be in for a fight unlike anything that they had ever saw. Heīd liked the guys even if they sometimes had a habit off driving him to madness, especially Nick. But he didnīt want to see them hurt and had objected widely against the methods Lou was using to get his "investment" to where he wanted them. On his bank account. But truth was that there were very little Johnny could do to prevent this. All he could do was watch.

"Kevinīs right. Lets talk with the personal aboard and see if there is any doctor that can take a look at him. This is starting to sound much more serious than I first thought." He shifted uncomfortable when Lou stared at him, but said nothing in return.

"Oh yeah..very smart there..and how do you think weīre going to do that? For Fucks sake weīre on a freaking plane in the middle off the ocean..if you havenīt forgotten!" AJ was mildly put irritated over the black managers stupid speech.

Now it was Howie's turn to speak. "I know Bone. Youīre right. You are all right but I think we canīt wait with the treatment since its starting to sound like heīs got water in his lungs." Taken a good look at the pale teen who had his eyes closed he shivered slightly. Nick looked practically dead and the way he was breathing heavily was the only indication that he was alive. "If it is what I think it is he will have even harder to breath as the times passes!"

"And what is your medical opinion then? Doctor Dourogh," Lou added sarcastically.

Ignoring this comment Howie said, "I donīt know but I do remember that the German doctor said that Nick had problems with his kidneys. That makes me think that maybe he is having a kidney failure." Upon hearing this being mentioned there were a loud gasp in the cabin, all but Lou whose face first turned red before he chuckled.

"Did anyone tell you that youīre having the wildest imagination Dourogh? Kidney failure you gotta be kidding me." The manager tried to sound like was taking lightly on it all but his face was giving it away. He was seriously disturbed over this situation. What would Nicks parents say if this turned out to be true? Ok he thought he had a pretty good hand with Nicks mother since she was nothing but money hungry and could sell her own kids for success. But Nick's dad wasnīt as easy to handle. Deep inside Lou's mind desperately tried to work up a plan. A strategy. Seeing the passengers look at him with a trace of disgust on their faces he quickly changed his approach. "You might be right," he slapped Howie on his shoulder. "As soon as we land I will make sure that he will go into the hospital for a check up. And thatīs a promise." After that he smiled widely to the passengers that still watched them like they watched a soap opera.

"And why would you care so much now? Is it because your "poster boy" your "investment" could be in danger." Brian snarled. "I didnīt see you act this concern when he was sick as a dog during this tour. Not once."

"Brian, that was uncalled for!" Kevin shot his cousin a look.

Looking a bit confused Brian stuttered, "Kev why do you defend them when you know.." He stopped when Kevin gesture towards the very interested and curious passengers that were doing their best to hear what the men were half whispering about with harsh voices.

"Oh." He stopped his actions. Kev was right. There were no need for the whole world to hear about their problems although he suspected heīd told too much already. Fortunately they wasnīt that famous that the Paparazzi would follow them. Still they could go home and be a bit incognito. It was getting harder each year but still it was possible.

That moment Lou chose to play the "Good Daddy". "Richardson is right. You need to calm down Son. Itīs not good for your heart to be this worked up and we donīt need another Backstreet Boy that will end up at the hospital." He smiled briefly at Brian the friendliness didnīt reach his eyes. "We need to look at this situation in a mature way and making up lies doesnīt help Nicky right now. You if anyone should know that Brian!" His tone was soft but there were also a hidden threat.

"Iīm not lying and please donīt come and act like you care all off the sudden."

Lou's _expression was at first like he was going to slap the younger man in his face, but open seeing the frown on one of the passengers and not wanting anything about dispute come into public or even worse the media he said in a sweetly soft voice, dripping with sugar, "Son you know thatīs not right. Iīm your big Daddy and I if anyone would do nothing to hurt you."

AJ felt ready to barf! "DADDY? MY ASS!" He got an eye from Kevin but added with disgust, "Donīt come and try to tell us that kind off bullshit. All you care is about the money. You were the one that twisted his mind into thinking he was an fat ass and then tricked him into eating all that crap. Not to mention that you have arranged for B to wait with his heart surgery. In my book that isnīt helping at all." He stopped short when he noticed the other men's annoyed expressions. Shit! Biting his lip he thought heīd said too much again.

The manager had paled visible as did his smile. "McLean I think youīve said enough already." Turning to Brian he said in a voice he was trying hard to steady, "What have you told them about the surgery? I thought I made it clear that this was strictly between you and me. I wasnīt doing it for my own pleasure..I was doing it so.." He stopped briefly, looking at each and everyone of them, "none of you would get out of business. Because if you havenīt realized it before I can get you out this fast," he snapped with his fingers to state his point," if I make one call! Therefore I suggest that you rethink what youīre going to say. Twice. And also that you donīt butt into other peoples business." With that he ended the conversation abruptly, "This matter have been discussed far too long and if you have anything to add we can talk about it at my office. Until then I suggest that you make sure that Nick gets the help that is needed!" With those words the manager turned on his heels, saying dramatically to the surprised passengers that didnīt know where to look, "Shows over people!" With that he walked briskly away.

All of the men, Johnny included, stared at the angry managers back and then at each other. It was like all the air had popped out off the men, like a balloon. Nobody said anything since it had all got ugly all of a sudden.

Had they heard wrong or did Lou Pearlman make a threat to them all?

101 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection-Chapter 101 It had been the flight from hell and now it was finally coming to an end. Not in the way that they had expected it when they first boarded, no it was far worse, but at least they could give Nick the professional treatment that was needed.

Brian watched in silence how Nick was whisked away into the waiting ambulance. He could do nothing but stare, blinking his tears away, as the men closed the doors and then drove away quickly from the scene. Even though he was very tense over what the outcome would be he found himself relaxing for the first in a very long time.

"How are you holding up buddy?" AJ asked, placing an arm around his older friends shoulder. He too had been standing in silence, witnessing as the personel had worked on their mutual friend.

"Ok I guess," Brian shrugged, not wanting to talk about the emotions that dwelled up inside of him like a storm.

"Sure." AJ didnīt look like he believed him but was wise enough not to press on. "Who could have thought that he was this sick?"

"Mmmm." There was not much to be said and he had to bite back the tears that were threatening to come, mainly from exhaustion over the past 24 hours, but also from the despair that he felt inside him. "Do you think heīll make it?" His voice shook as he uttered the last sentence.

"Yeah." AJ squeezed his shoulder a bit tighter. "Donīt worry..Nick is a fighter. Iīm sure heīll come out of this in no time." Even though he tried his best to take lightly upon the situation Brian could still see that his eyes were clouded with fear.

"I hope youīre right about this.." Brian said a bit hesitant just to be cut off by AJ.

"I am..come on now we need to find Johnny and Lou and then get a cab down to New York Memorial to join the others." The younger man was taking charge of the situation which was rare since he, together with Nick, often acted less mature in a situation like this. But now the roles were reversed.

"Ok I need to make a call to Nick's parents down in Tampa so they donīt wait for him at the airport and so they can get a connecting flight over here too."

"Sounds good, Iīll follow you since I donīt have much to do anyway besides Iīve called mom and she said that she will keep in touch and if we want her too she will come up here asp."

"Good..my parents need to get informed too, and Kev's and Howie's.." Brian rose a hand to his forehead like it was all getting too much for him. It had been a wild 24 hours!

It had all happened at such a fast pace. From the heated conversation with the managemnet Nickīs health had detoriated quickly and everything was going downhill. Heīd started to have breathing difficulties and for a moment the guys were sure that he would choke to death from coughing so much. They had asked the flight personel to ask on the speakers if there were any doctors aboard and for once luck was on their side. A Norwegian Peditrician named Sten Bjork was going to a medical convention in Florida and after Nick was being helped to the stewardess loungue the doctor preformed a quick examination only to come back with the verdict;

Kidneyfailure.

There were different reactions to the news but at first neither of the men had thought it was so serious. But when the doctor had told them that Nick's kidneys as well as other organs in his body were starting to shut down and this could have a deadly outcome if not getting treated they realized that their friend was really going through the wringer.

The doctor had told them that they had little time to spare and heīd asked the flight personel to go down in New York since the teen needed instant medical treatment. At first they hadnīt been that willing since it would cause them a delay. The doctor wouldnīt accept a no and when he told them that it could be a matter of life and death help came from a totally unexpected area.

Mr. Lou Pearlman of all people came to their rescue when he threatened to sue them if they neglected taking down the plane and refused to give Nick the treatment that was needed. He also said that the record company would cover all the expenses that came with it. The guys watched in surprise when Lou pulled his strings to several important connections and for the first time for what seemed like years the manager showed some kind of humanity, but they also discovered something else that scared them. How powerful their head manager could be when he wanted to.

The pilot wasted no time in going down to the airport when they got a call from someone high up in the board. As soon they got the clearance they landed in Newark instead of Miami International and an ambulance had waited on the runway so that Nick would be quickly put in the ambulance.

So far all of this hadnīt caused a riot. Mainly beacuse no one knew that the famous pop group would be landing in New York but also that it was still early morning and the people hadnīt woke up yet. This led to that neither Brian nor AJ were attacked and could walk pretty undisturbed inside the airport.

"Isnīt anybody answering?" AJ asked when Brian had stood there, waiting for someone to pick up the phone on the other line. Heīd called to Nick's parents but none of them were home or answering their cell phones. This gave him the conclusion that they were probably on their way to the airport to pick up their son. Shaking his head he waited a few signals more and was just about to hang up when he heard a woman say in broken english, "Carterīs residence".

"Jane?" Brian felt confused.

There was a small chuckle, "No mister..Mr. and Mrs. Carter is not at home. Iīm their housekeeper, can I take your message please."

"Oh..itīs me Brian..Brian Littrell. Do you know where they are? Have they already gone to the airport."

"Mr Brian? Nickolas friend..oh I see..Noo they are not at the airport. They have gone to Los Angeles with young Aaron and the other children."

"Los Angeles?" Brian felt his chin drop. "Why? They were supposed to go and pick up Nick!"

"Iīm sorry I donīt know Mr Littrell. They left hastily yesterday and said that they would be back tomorrow or the day after. They didnīt mention anything about Nickolas." The woman on the other end sounded a bit uncomfortable. "But I can tell them to call you if they call in."

"Yes! Do so!" Brian was irritated. What was it with Nick's parents? Didnīt they care more about their oldest son? His thoughts about Nick's mom and dad hadnīt been high to start with but to hear something like this made him even more mad. AJ, who noticed his friend getting redder in the face by the minute leaned over, whispering, "What is it?" Shaking his head, not caring to give away and explanation Brian said in the phone. "Do you know if anyone will come and meet up with Nick?"

"No..Iīm sorry Mr. Littrell..They donīt mention these kinds of things to me. Iīm just their maid. But you can maybe try Nickolas' uncle John. He is the one that used to be a stand in for the Carters when they are away. You know him?

"Mmm..Yes I do..Ok..thanks for the tip."

"That was so little, do you have his Uncle's phone number?" The Hispanic maid asked.

"Yeah I think I have it around here somewhere." He patted his pocket. "Well, tell Bob and Jane to call me on this phone as soon as they can. He gave away the phone number to Johnny's cell phone since his own was out of batteries and hadnīt had time to charge it. "Or you can let them call New York Memorial hospital beacuse itīs there they can find their son." Brian was doing his best to stay calm since inside he was more than a little furious.

"I will do that. Take care Mr. Littrell." The maid said, to his surprise not asking any further questions over why Nick was at a hospital. He figured that she thought it was none of her business. Hanging up he noticed that AJ was almost on his hair.

"What did they say? Are they coming?"

Brian went silent for a while shaking his head, "Uh huh."

"What?" AJ looked confused, "but they were on their way to pick him up at the airport..right?"

Not answering Brian gave away a deep sigh which had the younger man frowning, "What? They ainīt coming?"

"They are in LA with Aaron!" Brian felt like the air was popping out of him suddenly. The exhaustion from the tour combined with his worries over Nick's situation made him feel so tired, like his strength suddenly had vanished.

"LA? What the hell are you saying? Werenīt they supposed to come and pick him up?"

"Yeah.."Tiredly Brian ran his hand over his face, "I thought so too but their maid told me that they had to go down to LA to do something with Aaron and she said that his Uncle..you know John.." AJ noddded. "Was going to pick Nick up. She wanted me to call him." "What a fucking mess." AJ whined. "I canīt believe it..they donīt care more for their son then this!"

"Well you know how it can be.." Brian found himself trying to find excuses. "I guess they thought that the business with Aaron was more important or something..anyway I need to find John's phone number." Opening his wallet he started to search through some papers, "I think Nick gave it to me at some time..."

John, who was Nick's uncle had during the past years been like his second parent. He was the one that traveled with them more often than Nick's actual parents, at least nowdays. Brian knew that his friend both liked and looked up to the man and he was greatful that the teen had him to take care of him when his parents couldnīt. At some times Nick also spent time there when his parents were out of town or busy with something else.

Luckily he found the number and could call Nick's uncle. The maid had been right. He was the one in charge and he was on his way to the airport to pick up his sister's kid. The conversation was short and John promised to get a hold of Nick's parents as soon as possible. After that was ended Johnny and Lou had arranged a cab and they all went up to New York Memorial.

It was a big hospital but since Nick was considered a high profile case they were quickly whisked to the ICU where both Kevin and Howie were waiting. Their tired and exhausted expressions combined with a deep frown had them thinking that something terrible had happend with their friend and they couldnīt breath out before Kevin told that Nick was on kidney dialysis and that he was already doing much better with the breathing and all. But still he wasnīt out of the woods.

There was lots and lots of waiting.

The day that all of the men had looked forward so much, to meet up with their families, friends and girlfriends, was something of a disaster. Instead they were stuck in a small waiting room, praying that their friend's life would be saved and that Nick would be all right again.

As the day passed on there was little, almost no informatíon about Nick's condition. Doctors and nurses were rushing in and out of his room and the guys werenīt allowed to go in there yet. His condition was considered much too critical. The waiting was long much too long....

************************************************************************************************************

"Are you the friends of Mr. Nickolas Carter?" A dark man's voice boomed waking them all up from their drowsiness.

"Yes?" Kevin sat up straighter in his seat. "Is something wrong?"

The doctor smiled towards them, "No you can relax. Iīm the one that took care of your friend when he was admitted. My name is Doctor Finnley." He shook each and everyones hand, "Howver I have some questions that I would like to ask you." Gesturing with his hand towards another room he said, "Can you gentlemen please follow me into my office?"

With their breath stuck in their throat the men followed. Not a word was said between them but any on looker could see that they were very nervous over what the news would be. Johnny and Lou were nowhere in sight since they were away taking care of the business surrounding it all.

Nick's parents had called and they had been very upset. Johnny had been the one talking to them which was good since Brian didnīt know if he could hold back the anger he felt for those two. At first they had been a bit reluctant to go to NY before they knew anything more about Nick's condition, but then, to each and everyones surprise, the black manager had made them change their minds which had them booking the next flight to NY. Johnny hadnīt said anything about it but Brian as well as the rest of the guys suspected that money had a part to play whether they were going to their kid or not. It wouldnīt surprise them if Johnny had agreed to pay their flight so they could see their son.

Once in the office the doctor presented them to chairs leaning against his desk for support. AJ was the first one that couldnīt wait and he blurted out in a way that only he could do, "Why are we here? Is something so wrong with Kaos that you canīt tell it up front?" Kevin shot him an eye of dislike which the young man refused to take notice of.

"No..No..itīs nothing like that. Mr. Carter is doing much better than we expected and as was told you before he went on dialysis and is responding very good to the treatment. We also managed to clear up his lungs and have the fever under control."

"Does that mean that he will make it?" Brian didnīt dare to hope but he had to know.

"Oh yes..we look positive at his progression..however he hasnīt been here for long and it's still too early to tell if he will make it out without any further complications."

"You mean that this can affect his whole life in the future?" There was a deep frown on Kevins forehead.

"If weīre unlucky..yes." The doctor held up a hand to stop the rest of the men from talking, "however as I said earlier..things are looking better and better for now and Mr. Carter is stable. I wonīt lie to you. It was a close call and you can were lucky that he received the treatment when he did since the kidneys were less and less starting to function." Looking at each and everyone of the men he continued, "This lead me up to the point of asking. What on earth's name has been done to this boy?"

Startled over the frank question that was asked they could do nothing but stare. What did the doctor exactly say? "What do you mean?" Howie blinked several times.

"For a start he is suffering from severe exhaustion as well as malnutrition, which has me thinking that either he canīt have been eating much lately or if he has he has thrown it up. " Looking at the pale men he continued, "Does anyone of you know anything about this?"

They all shifted uncomfortably in their seats, not knowing whether or not they would say anything about the "treatment" Nick had been exposed to from the management. It wasnīt that they didnīt trust the doctor, No it was more that they didnīt know if they were prepared to go through this whole deal again. Not so soon. Kevin was the only one that felt it fit to explain the situation, "Iīm sorry doctor but weīve just come off a very strenuous tour that has taken a toll on all of us both physically and mentally. Nick has been sick most of the time and I know for a fact that he has been eating very little..due to not feeling well of course."

"Yes I can tell he has but there is something that holds my concern and that is that I suspect that he has been eating or consuming something to keep his weight down."

"Wha..what makes you thi..think so?" Howie stuttered.

"Oh Iīve seen cases like this before..they are not as uncommon as you might think. Iīve seen teens, mostly young girls but also some boys, come in malnourished after experimenting with not eating or taking diet pills, so I know what signs to look for. Unfortunately what people donīt know when they eat those diet pills and supplements such as laxatives is that the body, the whole system, gets damaged and that there is a risk, like Mr. Carter to go into kidney failure."

The men listened in silence.

"Did something happen to Mr. Carter when he was on this tour? Was he in an accident or something like that?"

"No..why?"

The doctor was scribbling something on a pad, "Iīm trying to detect if there can be any other problems with his kidneys."

"Wait," Brian suddenly remembered when Nick was knicked in his back, "There were a situation, some girls were all over him, attacking him." He could see the doctor raise an eyebrow and felt it was time to explain why there were getting into all this, "You know we are in a group, The Backstreet Boys..ever heard of them?"

The doctor nodded but made no sign in treating them any differently then he would have done to his other non profile patients. "Yes go on.."

"Anyway there was this time when Nick was caught in the crowd and he was really knicked in his back. "

The doctor raised an eyebrow again, "Donīt you have security?"

"Yes." Kevin decided to help his cousin out, "but Nick was hit anyway in the back. He didnīt mention anything about the bruise at first and then he got really sick and started to pee blood."

"He was peeing blood?" Doctor Finnley wrote something down, "When was this?"

The men thought for a while. All days were pretty much the same and living such a hectic life with schedules to follow all the time it was hard to remember when any event had occured. Life was being to stressful. Howie, who usually remembered things like that was the one to give away the correct date.

"I see.." The doctor was biting on his pencil.."What did you then do? Take him to a hospital I pressume?"

Suddenly none of the guys felt it was useful to keep on playing the game of hiding stuff. It wouldnīt benefit Nick nor them and they stared to spill their beans. Soon the doctor heard about everything from Nick's overeating and throwing up to all of his sicknesses and that they suspected that their manager had spiked the health drink with laxative and subscribed dieting pills to him. The doctor listened but his expression was getting more and more worried. His face was red. Once they had ended the story about the latest hospital visit and how sick Nick had been on the plane the doctor stood up quickly.

"You do realize that I have to report this to my superiors don't you? This is negligent of the boy's health on the highest level and I canīt just ignore all of this. I will be filing a record."

Upon mentioning this the men stared at each other. They had all mixed feelings about the situation at hand. A part of them didnīt want this to be exposed in public but at the same time it was no way that they could go hiding this forever. This could only mean one thing;

The battle with the management had begun.

102 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 102

Slowly Nick started to come to his senses. Opening his blurry eyes he noticed that it was dusk in the room and his first thought that he was in yet another hotel in a strange unknown city. Turning on his head he noticed a woman dressed in white, sitting next to his bed reading a magazine.

"Mom?"

His throat was still sore and his voice sounded croaked and weak. But it didnīt matter since he got the attention he wanted. The blonde woman lay her magazine down and then said to him in a soft tone, "No honey. Iīm nurse Mary," "How are you feeling? Are you in any pain? "

He felt confused. A nurse? Did this mean that he was still stuck in that German hospital? And if so how come they spoke english to him?

Licking his parched lips he tried his best to get his braincells to function properly. "Where am I? In Germany?"

"No. Youīre at New York Memorial Hospital." The nurse smiled at him, making him feel even more confused than before.

"New York?" Nick stared blankly at her, "But wasnīt I in Germany? With the guys? Touring."

This comment made the nurse frown. "No honey. Donīt you remember that you flew back home?" She felt his forehead as to assess if he was still running a high temperature.

Nick's brain went into overdrive. Thinking hard bits and pieces of him being sick on a plane came into his mind. But that he had been so many times this recent trip that he didnīt trust his memories anymore. They could easily play a joke on him. He shook his head.

"No?" She took away her hand from his forehead and then searched for a thermometer. Finding the object she then placed it in his mouth before saying, "I will let your doctor know that you are awake and he can explain about the situation for you. How does that sound?"

Nick had no time to answer before she was out of the door. Running his hand through his hair he noticed that it still came away wet. Wet from sweat. He knew that he was still running a fever but not as high as the ones he had before. This time he was able to think coherent which he hadnīt done for quite a while. His head didnīt feel like exploding any longer either and for once he felt like he could breathe without being afraid to choke to death with the phlegm that had coated his lungs for so long. Closing his eyes he willed his body to rest but it was difficult since his thoughts all the time went over to what the nurse had told him. That he was in New York and not in Europe or at home. Just when he came to the conclusion that he most have been bad off the door opened and a male doctor in glasses came into the room.

"Hello Mr. Carter Iīm Dr. Finnley. Nurse Stewart informed me that you were awake so I came in to see how you were doing."

"Ok." He nodded since talking was out of the question with the device stuck in his mouth. Just then the thermometer chose to give away a beep and the nurse took it out, reading the figures. "101.5." she read , smiling at him reassuringly. "Your temperature seems to be going down."

"Mmm." The nurse was probably right but still he could feel his energy draining away.

The doctor looked pleased. "This is good news. Hopefully the fever is about to break and youīre condition has improved a lot since you were admitted yesterday morning."

"Yesterday?" Nick felt confused, "How long have I been here? How come I donīt remember anything?"

"Mr. Carter you have been suffering from a high fever and relapses of memory loss are quite common, especially since you were really sick on the plane. Luckily for you there was a doctor aboard and the plane had to emergency land since you were showing all kinds of symptoms of kidney failure."

"Kidney failure?" Nick interrupted him.

"Yes," the doctor sat down beside him on his bed. "Your organs in your body were slowly shutting down and that is why you were becoming so sick. We also put you on dialysis for the time being but since youīre doing so much better than expected for a patient with your symptoms we will consider taking it off as soon as you get better." The doctor peered at him atop of his glasses, "You do know that you have been one lucky guy donīt you?"

Lucky? He didnīt call himself lucky, still he nodded, "Yeah?"

"Yes, because when you were first admitted you were listed for critical condition and for a while there you really went through the wringer." The doctor smiled briefly at him, as did his nurse, "but you are one strong man. A real fighter and after we got the fever down a bit and cleared your lungs as well as got your kidney working again your condition has improved considerably." He stopped for a moment before adding, "but I tell you that it was lucky that your friends admitted you at the hospital when they did, because otherwise the outcome could have been a whole different story."

Nick blinked once. He blinked twice. "What are you saying?" he whispered with a hoarse voice. "Could I have died?"

"Yes, young man. You have been treating your body very poorly lately and it's a serious condition when your kidneys stops functioning."

Nick could feel himself blush. What did the doctor mean with those words? Did he know anything about the dieting? Had the guys said anything? He hoped not since dealing with such an issue was not something that was high on his list right now.

It was as if the doctor had read his thoughts, "Yes Mr. Carter I know about the abuse you have been putting your body through but we wonīt talk about it right now. Itīs in the middle of the night and you need all the sleep you can get right now to gain back your strength." He patted Nick on his hand, "Iīll give you something to make you sleep better and then weīll talk tomorrow. alright?"

Nick, too tired to object, nodded silently. Sleep would do him good and while the doctor was preparing for the shot he tried to think of something else beside the aches and the pains and the story the doctor had told him. Then another thought shot through his mind. Disturbing him.

"Where is mom and dad? The guys?"

The nurse was the one to fill his questions, at least some of them. "The guys, your friends I presume." Nick nodded. "They have gone to a hotel to rest."

"Oh." Nick felt disappointed. Had they left him when he was being this bad off? Didnīt they care for him at all? The nurse must have seen his despair since she said with a smile, "Your friends have been here all the time ever since you were admitted. But we thought that they needed some rest and sent them to a hotel and they said that they would be back in the morning." She stroked his hair slowly, "So don't you worry Nick you will be able to meet them soon again."

The answers calmed him down, if only for a small while. Then another thought struck him. "Are my parents here too? Mom and dad? And Aaron?" Somewhere deep inside he knew what the answer would be but he could always dream, couldn't he? After all the doctor said that he had been in a bad and critical condition and they would come and see him. Wouldnīt they?

Nurse Mary's eyes darkened for a brief second before answering her young patient, "Youīre management has taken care of that part." Nick cut her off.

"So they are here then?" His hope was up at full speed since he had missed his family so much. It had been over two months since he last met them and even if they had talked every other day on the phone it wasnīt by far enough.

This time it was time for the doctor to cut in, "Iīm sorry Mr. Carter but they havenīt arrived yet. You have to talk to Mr. Pearlman or Mr. Wright about that matter."

"Oh!" It was like the air popped out from the young teen. Then he said with an apologetical smile as if to reassure himself that everything was ok, "Mom and dad are probably busy with Aaron and my sisters. That is probably why they canīt come and be with me."

"Yes probably," both the doctor and the nurse agreed but their eyes revealed something else. A doubt.

Nick blinked hard once, then twice trying to bite back the tears that threatened to spill over. He wasnīt a kid and therefore he wouldnīt allow his emotions to flow either. Closing his eyes he did his best to stay calm. But deep inside there were something else. Pain. Sorrow over being left alone.

"Nick this will burn a bit," The doctor said, doing his best to change the topic. He set the syringe to the IV line. "It will make you feel sleepy and once you wake up again you will feel better and.." The doctor didnīt have a chance to end his sentence before Nick could feel the sleep come over him like a vail.

************************************************************************************************************

Inside the hotel room Kevin was tossing and turning in his bed. No matter how he tried he couldnīt get the sleep to come for him. Groaning he looked at the alarm clock just to notice that it was after 3 am. Cussing the warmth on his pillow he moved restlessly until he couldnīt take it any longer and decided to get up and get something to drink.

Sitting up he rubbed his eyes with a tired gesture. Sleeping had never been a problem to him, until lately and he knew deep inside that this was because there were so many thoughts eating him up inside. The problems felt like giant mountains and the past days revelation over how Nick had been treated from the management without them suspecting anything had him all upset.

He cussed himself for not seeing the signs about Nick's failing health and he wanted to slap his head for not doing anything about it sooner. The doctor had explained to him that eating disorders were rarely that easy to notice and that they shouldnīt blame themselves for this but instead concentrate on helping Nick to overcome the demons he was battling. The doctor had told them that eating disorders often came from bad self confidence and that they had to do what they could to help Nick get over these issues.

As soon as Kevin had been alone he had cried. Cried over Nick but also over his own blindness. He was a man of many emotions but they were not seen that often. His calm character lead people to believe that he was often taking situations at ease. This couldnīt be more wrong since there were often an inner turmoil inside him. A turmoil that ate him up from inside and that he didnīt let show that often. After all he was the leader off the group, their big brother, and if anyone should have seen what was coming for Nick it was him. But instead he had been blind as a bat.

Filling his glass with coldwater he took a sip while thinking about he recent events and what to do with the situation at hand. The guys had talked over everything earlier on that night and they had all agreed that something had to be done. The management had to pay for the damage that they had caused. Once Kevin had got back to the hotel he had called his lawyer friend, who had agreed to meet the guys and their families as soon as they were back in Florida.

The only part that they hadnīt been able to reach for an positive answer was Nickīs parents. Kevin had hoped that he would be able to talk with them as soon as they would arrive at the hospital, but when Johnny had told them that they had canceled their flight due to some charity event that Aaron would preform in, his hope quickly dimished. They had stated that Nick was doing so much better and that they would meet him down in Tampa as soon as he would be able to come back home again.

This comment had made Kevin so angry that he had to put a lid on his feelings. Wasnīt their oldest son more worth than that?

The rest off the men was also pissed as hell but luckily Denise, Ajīs mother, had instead joined them and according to the Carters they had "faith" in both Mrs. McLean as well as the management and they trusted their son in their hands, like they put it so nicely.

This was just a load of bullshit!

Kevin suspected that it had either to do with money or the fact that they were busy tending to other, more high social events, that had lead them to take the decision not to come and visit their sick son. The high thoughts Kevin had for the Carters had quickly dimished and now all he felt was resentment. How they could chose to be with Aaron i Las Vegas instead of being with their sick son was beyond his comprehention. But it was their choice and there were little he could do with changing their mind.

His thoughts went once again over to his little brother and the scare that he had put them all through. The doctor had told them that Nick had been admitted he had been in a really bad condition and the doctors words that if they hadnīt stopped for an emergency landing their friend could have been dead by now, scared him more than he would ever admit.

The thought of loosing his friend, his little brother was so terrible and surreal that he couldnīt bear to say it out loud. Fortunatly the doctor had informed them that their friend was stable and in a much better condition then anyone off them had dared to hope for. Especially while not staying at the hospital too long.

Kevin smiled.

Nick was such an fighter. A real trooper.

With that last thought in his mind, he decided to crawl back to bed. There were soon dawn and a new morning was broken. A day fulled with several hard trials. As if Nick's sickness wasnīt bad enough the press got a hint of all of this. They had swarmed all around them, trying to get a picture of the men as well as an interview. Management had been very strict about all of this and neiter Pearlman nor Wright had cleared it. They were being much too afraid that this whole story, these accussations off them misstreating the guys, would be out in the press. It would be bad if the truth came out for once instead of lies. Lies and yet more lies.

The official reason for Nickīs conditon was that he was suffering from an particulary nasty stomach bug that left him dehydrated and weak. And in the end hospitalized.

But Kevin knew that the media was smarter than that and soon the whole issue would be out in the news.

There were so many mixed feelings. One part of him wanted it all to leak out. Wanted the truth to be told while another part said that it would be wiser if no one knew the reason for his friends sickness. He wanted to spare Nick the pain and humiliation and even if they hated to lie for the fans and the media this was the better deal. After all the whole world didn't need to know about their little brothers personal battles with his demons.

Sighing he closed his eyes. Hoping for sleep to come and take away the pain he felt in his heart. Hoping for at least a few hours shut eye before the carousel was on the roll again...

103 by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Chapter 103

The atmosphere in the small hospital room was tense. The guys had come over to visit Nick before they would leave the next morning to go back to Florida. Nick seemed very sullen.

"Why cant I go with you guys?" He asked in a whiny voice, reminding Kevin of when he was just a small boy back in the early years and when he wanted to go clubbing with the rest off them.

"Itīs not our decision Nick and you know it," Howie said from his side of the room.

"Yeah but why? After all, Doctor Finnley says that Iīm doing so much better and he has taken me off the dialysis." He stopped himself for a moment before adding, "After all Iīm perfectly well now."

"That is not what the doctor said," Kevin filled in.

"Oh and what did he say then?" Nick felt annoyed.

"He said that you needed rest and then.." Kevin was cut short.

"Rest? Well, if that is all I can rest on the plane when I get home and..." Suddenly he changed his whiny tone to get even more whinier, "Please Kev..canīt you talk with them. So I can go home with you guys..please. I miss my family so much."

There was a pleading in his friend's blue eyes that Kevin had a hard time dealing with. He knew how much Nick wanted to go back to Tampa yet he also knew that his little brother had really been through the wringer and the doctor had said that they were very reluctant to let him go home. Still he didnīt have the nerve to tell Nick this and instead nodded, "Sure, Iīll see what I can do."

"Thanks broī." A light lit in his friend's eyes. A light that they had seldom seen there before.

Brian had been quiet the whole time, not looking at any of them and AJ was checking out the channels on the TV. "This is all a bunch of crap," he muttered when he had zipped through all of them. "Nothing to watch except for soaps."

Just when Nick was about to answer something back the door opened and an orderly came in with a tray of food. "Hello there Nick, Iīm here with your lunch." The smell of fried food wafted through the room, making Nick feel a bit nauseous.

"Swell," he muttered as the tray was placed in front of him and when the orderly raised the lid the plate revealed a full portion of meatballs and potatoes and gravy. And there was also a desert with cream and pecan pie. Nick looked at it with disgust. "I donīt want any. You can take it away."

The rest of the guys looked at him but it was the orderly that was there to make a response, " You need to eat to gain back your strength. Doctors orders."

Nick glared with a sullen _expression at the black man, "I AM better already thank you..and I think that Iīm perfect capable of deciding if I should eat or not." His tone was icy.

"Iīm sure you can." The orderly smiled back. "But this is doctors orders. He has specifically given an order that you need to eat so you don't get malnourished again."

Nick glared at him. What was he saying? malnourished? him? What a joke. Ok he wasnīt as fat as he had used to be, especially not since the fluid he had retained in his body had lessened and he had been peeing like a racehorse for the past few days. But still he wasnīt exactly slim and even if he deep inside knew that he needed to eat there was still that battle inside his head. The demons that were telling him that he was fat and that he needed to loose weight. Otherwise he wouldnīt be accepted.

Wouldnīt be perfect.

"Youīre not gonna eat those?" AJ asked, startling him in the process.

"Uh what?" Nick jerked back. Looking at his friend pointing at the untouched meatballs on his plate, he scrunched up his nose, "No thanks..Iīm not hungry."

"Nick you need to eat. You hear what the orderly said. Itīs doctors orders," Howie filled in.

"No, I said I wasnīt hungry.." He muttered, pushing his plate away further on the tray. Looking up at Jay he commented, "You can have them Bone..If you want."

"You sure Kaos?" The younger man looked hesitantly at the fork before sticking it in one of the meatballs. "I mean they look good."

Nick nodded, feeling a bit annoyed, "Yeah Iīm sure..you go ahead. I said I wasnīt hungry."

Nobody said anything while AJ wolfed down the portion. Both Kevin and Howie looked at their friend's bad table manners in disgust, all but Brian who still hadnīt said a word. The Kentuckian had been very silent through the whole visit. This was not the way he usually acted so something had to be on his mind, yet no one asked.

Once AJ was finished with the plate he turned his attention to the dessert, "But youīre gonna eat that, ainīt you?"

Nick shook his head, turning away his gaze. "Nah itīs yours too. Take it"

The last sentence started a reaction inside his brother as AJ suddenly burst out, "What? You donīt want Pecan pie? But man itīs one of your favorites. You use to scarf it down like a.." He stopped himself when both Kevin and Howie gave him a hard look. "Eh..uh..eh really Kaos I.." He shut his mouth when it dawned upon him that he had already been talking too much. Taking a piece of the pecan pie he swallowed it down quickly, "Man dude..this is good. Sure you donīt wanna have a taste?" With that he wafted towards Nick's face. getting the teen to cover his mouth with his hand.

"Jay canīt you see that he doesnīt want anything?" Brian sneered from the corner of the room where he was more or less hiding. "Leave him alone."

AJ glared at his brother who looked as pissed as he had swallowed a grape. "And who died and made you the boss?"

To say that the tension was tight would be an understatement and it didnīt exactly improve with the cat fight that was about to happen

Howie did his best to try and change the subject, as always, "Did your parents call today?" Noticing the sad _expression on his friend's face he could have bit his tongue for saying those words.

"No." The answer was short.

"Oh..Ok."

Nothing more was said for a while. AJ ate the pie, Nick watched in disgust and Kevin and Howie were very busy looking through some music magazines that they had bought for their friend. Brian just sat in silence.

"Nick," he suddenly said, "Why did you do it?" The tone was calm.

All their heads snapped up at the sound of their friend talking. Howie's eyes darted nervously like he was afraid what Brian would say next.

"What do you mean by "Why did you do it." Nick sounded annoyed. "I didn't do anything. I got sick. Thatīs all."

"Why did you eat those diet pills? Why did you make yourself throw up? Why?" There was accusation in the younger man's voice, but also sadness.

Nick moved restlessly in bed. He didnīt know what to say and instead he looked down, fidgeting with the blanket that covered him up "Uh..I didnīt..I.." He got interrupted from Brian who wasnīt so calm any longer

"YES!!! YOU DID!!! You took those pills without telling us. You used laxatives and you ate and puked and ate and puked. BUT WHY???" His friend was shouting now.

Nick felt himself blush. This was a very uncomfortable situation. Couldnīt they see that he didnīt want to talk about it. Closing his eyes he muttered, "I donīt wanna talk. Iīm tired."

Howie, who disliked conflicts was the one to call out to Brian, "Whatīs gotten into you? Canīt you see that Nick is tired and needs to rest and..."

"NO!" Brian was very agitated. "We need to talk about this NOW! It has been going on much too long without anyone of us reacting. God if we had maybe you wouldnīt have been here today..."

Kevin was there with a calming hand on his arm. "Brian, take it easy..calm down. Itīs not your fault..you donīt have to feel guilty about anything." Brian shrugged his hand away.

"Yes, I do..we all do. After all Nick is our friend, our brother and he has been feeling like shit all the time and we have done nothing to make it any better." There were tears in Brian's eyes as he spoke.

Opening his own eyes Nick felt an urge to stop his friend from crying, "Hush Bri..itīs not that bad..besides Kev is right. It wasnīt your fault. I took those pills, I took the laxatives. Not you."

"Yeah Kaos but why did you do it? Why did you take all that crap..take that shit. Why did you let Lou and Johnny get to you?" This time it was AJ who was questioning his actions.

Why were they doing this to him? Questioning him? Being against him. What had he done that had been so wrong? Nick wanted to cry instead he bit his lip. He wasnīt a baby.

They all stared at him, waiting for an answer.

"Because...because I am fat and I needed to loose weight and when I couldnīt do it I tried to use other stuff to do it."

"Yeah like overeating and throwing up? Is that loosing weight?" Howie questioned suddenly, surprising them all.

"I do..donīt know." Nick whispered. He didnīt know what to say. It was all such a mess and he wished he had never gotten in to all of this to start with. When none of the guys accepted his "I donīt know" answer he started to tell them how he was feeling. That he always felt like a klutz that couldnīt do anything right. That he wasnīt looking as cute as he used to be and he told them about the threats that Lou had made to him. That he would have to leave the band if he didnīt do anything about his weight.

The more he told them the closer he came to crying and soon his tears rolled over his cheeks. But he wasnīt alone to cry. The rest of the guys were showing their emotions too, if not crying they sat very still. Listening. And every once in a while a "Oh Nick," could be heard through out the room.

After spilling his guts over the threats he continued to tell about the health drink and how he had started taking those pills so that he would loose the weight faster. He told them about what a loser he felt like all the time and how much it hurt when they said the bad fat comments to him.

A gasp was heard in the room and AJ was the first one to burst out, "Sorry bud."

Brian had moved from his side of the room and was now sitting beside Nick on his bed, holding a shaking and crying teen that continued to reveal his secrets like he was turning a dirty old sock inside and out.

Once he was finsihed he was totally exhausted. It had taken every ounce of strength out of him but at the same time he felt good. The burden was finally lessened and now he didnīt have to have any secrets from his friends any longer. Just when he thought he was done telling them about his demons he was constantly battling, Brian asked his question again "But why, why were you doing all of this?"

Nick didnīt think he believed his ears. Here he had been telling everything and they still hadnīt gripped what he was talking about and now they were all looking expectantly for him to answer.

Closing his eyes he took a deep breath before saying the words that had been on his mind for a longer time then he could ever remember; "I didnīt think you guys would like me for who I was. Iīm such a failure. I screw everything up and all I wanted was to be perfect so that you could be proud of me. "

The silence that followed in the room was deafening and all of the men looked at each other and then at the pale, crying figure that was their friend, sitting on the bed. Kevin was the first one to open his mouth, "But donīt you know Nick that you are that already. You are our little brother and we love you for what you are."

"Yeah even when youīre bugging the hell out of us," AJ added with a grin.

For the first time in so many months Nick looked up through his bangs. He looked at everyone of the men that had surrounded his bed and then he said in a sincere tone, "Do you guys know that you are the best that I have. That I love each and everyone of you?"

"Yes, we do Kaos," laughed Brian ruffling his hair in the way that only his friend could do. "Yes, we do and guess what?" He grinned, "We love you too and youīre our little bro!" With that he got the biggest hugs that he had ever felt in his life and for the first time in so many months he knew that it was true.

That he wasnīt a failure. That he didnīt have to be perfect. That no matter what happened between them they would always be his friends.

But most important of all; They would always be brothers.

Epilogue by Carrie_Swenglish
Perfection - Epilogue

Nick leaned his head against the headrest in the plane. He had been dozing on and off for the whole trip from New York and they were soon approaching Florida and Orlando. It had been a long journey that was finally starting to come to an end.

The journey had been filled with lots of happiness but also sadness and frustration. It had been strenuous and there were times when all Nick had felt were aches and pains. But thinking back to the past months there were also lots of laughter and love. Their concerts had been a real success and there were hundreds of fans waiting for them wherever they went. They were in at their highest level of success and none of guys could believe how big they were starting to become.

And soon he would be back at home again. Back to being Nickolas Carter and living a life as far as could be from the pop star that the fans thought he was. Thinking about his family there were lots of mixed feelings and emotions and there was a tear in his heart when he thought that his own family hadnīt come to visit him when he was in the hospital. They had called, often several times a day, but that didnīt make up for the fact that they chose to be with his siblings instead of taking the time to be with him.

When he had told this to Brian his older friend said that they probably wouldnīt be anywhere else but with him and that they had tried all they could so they could go and see him. Nick had swallowed the excuse down but when he overheard Johnny talking to Lou that the management had paid the Carters trip to NY but still had decided to go to a charity event that Aaron performed at in Las Vegas he had doubted that they cared for him.

This was just another nail in the coffin since his parents and family had spent less and less time with him and instead spent a great deal in Los Angeles instead. This was mainly when Aaron had got his record deal, BJ started to model and Lesley was trying her hand in the entertainment business. There were times both at home and on the road when he felt so alone even though he had people surrounding him 24/7.

Pushing the disturbing thoughts away he was happy that Kevin had managed to persuade the doctor that he could go back home with them because otherwise he would have been so alone. Neither Lou or Johnny had touched the subject and both managers had left shortly after it was clear that Nick was doing so much better and just needed the rest. Johnny had looked very sorrowful and he knew that the black man felt bad for all that had been happening and shouldnīt be blamed. It was like the manager knew something but was stopped from saying anything. AJ had said when they had talked the other day that he suspected that Lou had something on him and therefore he couldnīt do anything to act for their best. At first they had laughed at it but now Nick was starting to think that maybe it wasnīt so far fetched after all.

Lou and the management would be sued that thing was for sure but neither of them knew when it would happen. One thing was for sure though; this was one battle that they intended to win.

His thoughts were soon interrupted by the loud speakers, "Ladies and Gentlemen we are now preparing to land in Orlando International and.." The female stewardess talked with a thick southern accent.

Looking at the rest of the guys he noticed that they were all busy with their own. Brian was writing a card to Leighanne to give away with a present that he was going to give her. It was a ring with a big diamond and he was very nervous that she wouldnīt like it. AJ was also nervous. But that was from a whole different matter. He was scared that Amanda would find out about all of his love affairs being on the road and now he was seriously trying to figure out how to act without getting her suspicious. Howie had felled the comment, "Jay it would be better to tell the truth!" while he had looked at him like he was something the cat dragged in. Now he was biting his nails, while trying to figure out a way to make her happy. Kevin and Howie were the calm ones as usual and both of them were taking it easy, reading a magazine but Nick knew that they longed as much as the others to come back home.

It was only Nick that felt a bit sad about it all. Even if it had been a strenuous tour on all sides, possibly the hardest of them all, he still thought it felt weird not being with the guys. They would have a break for a few weeks before they would be back in the studio again. He would miss them so much even if it would feel good to have some free time too, spending it with Mandy and all.

The more he thought about it the more he became certain about one thing. He had survived. At least for now and he felt rather good inside too. But if the guys hadnīt been there for him during the hardship on this tour there was no telling what the outcome could have been. They had proved to be his friends, his real family and he loved them with all their heart.

But the best part was that they loved him even with his faults and mistakes. He didnīt have to prove anything any longer. He didnīt have to be perfect.

The end

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5741