Powder by Refuse
Summary: One of the guys is hiding something from the others. Will he get away with it, or will he get caught and face the consequences?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Humor, Suspense
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2317 Read: 744 Published: 01/27/06 Updated: 01/27/06

1. Part 1 of 1 by Refuse

Part 1 of 1 by Refuse
Author's Notes: Again, this is not yet beta read. Now I don't know where the idea for this fic came from, but it came nonetheless. I think it's cute! At any rate, I hope you enjoy it.



Powder





Cautiously, startling blue eyes darted about nervously as the pensive face peeked reluctantly around the corner. The murky shadows encompassing his form concealed him, but they also caused an uneasy feeling to settle in his stomach as those same shadows could be hiding something from him, the same as he hid from what could perhaps be lurking within the dark spectacles surrounding him.

Sandy eyebrows scrunching together and bottom lip catching between his teeth, he swallowed back his fear and pushed on. He was determined to reach his goal, the precious cargo he carried tucked under one arm.

He flipped his head back and forth in one last check for safety, then quickly shuffled across the shadowed room, his stockinged feet not making a sound. As he reached the other side, he breathed a quiet sigh of relief. He leaned against the white wall, closing his eyes. His arm shifted and the package he carried crinkled, the plastic creating a crackling noise throughout the hotel room.

His eyes snapped open and flitted around, his breath catching in his throat as he froze and listened, straining his ears to the maximum. Nothing. He sighed, sagging in relief. That was a close one. Taking in a quick breath, he held his package securely and be-lined it to his sanctuary. He tossed a quick, surreptitious glance back over his shoulder before sinking into his safe haven. He sat down with a silent sigh, his heart racing.

Now believing he resided in safety, he relaxed and let a content grin show upon his face. He did it. He got it by them. He set his package down and wiped a hand across his brow. Whew! What an adrenaline rush! He let out a low chuckle, his dark blue eyes fixating on the package at his side. He was going to enjoy this.

Carefully and slowly, as if afraid he would break the item, he reached and picked up his package. He placed it on his lap, the plastic crinkling softly. His deep blues drank in the sight he held before him and with trembling fingers, he unfastened the tie. Gingerly, he untangled the clear plastic and reached a hand inside. One side of his mouth twitched in the beginnings of a satisfied smirk as his fingers closed around his prize.

Slowly, he pulled his hand from the bag, his prize still within his grasp. He held it before him and stared. His mouth was beginning to water at just the sight of the sweet confection before him. He couldn't wait any longer, he brought the item to his mouth and shoved it in, reveling in the wonderful taste as his teeth sank into the morsel.

His hand fell away to his side as he slowly chewed, his eyes closing in rapture. An almost serene expression took over his face as he savored the morsel in his mouth. He felt the icy coolness of the treat's coating, the cold sensation bringing with it a taste of sugary sweetness. The thick texture of the confection filled his mouth and he slowly proceeded to swallow the morsel, almost reluctant to relinquish the wondrous taste.

He smiled. He knew he had more and reached into the bag, pulling another out and proceeding to take a bite, but just as he brought the delicacy to his mouth, the lights in the room he hid in flashed on. Desperate and eyes wide in panic, he roughly shoved the treat into his mouth and quickly pushed the bag behind his back.

He blinked his eyes at the now bright room and waited. He listened. He heard soft footsteps on the plush carpet. His jaw was beginning to ache as he fiercely chewed, trying desperately to get rid of the evidence. He tried to swallow and almost choked, letting out a muffled cough. The footsteps stopped. He sagged in defeat. Whoever it was knew he was there, had heard him. He was caught.

He heard the footsteps coming toward him and continued to chew with renewed vigor, but he still had a full mouth as a head peeked over the back of the couch he hid behind. Cheeks full, he attempted to smile up at the person staring down at him with confused and surprised green eyes, thick dark eyebrows arched.

"Brian?" sputtered Kevin, thoroughly flabbergasted, "What the hell? What are you doing behind the couch?"

Mouth still full and unable to chew because of the eyes now on him, Brian simply shrugged, a strained smile still on his face. Kevin's eyes slowly narrowed as he stared at Brian, causing the Southerner to become slightly agitated.

Kevin was about to say something when a door was heard opening and footsteps soon following the door being shut. Kevin watched as AJ, Nick, and Howie traipsed into the room.

Nick blinked sleepily around at the bright room, his hooded blue eyes settling on Kevin who kneeled on the couch in the corner of the room. While Howie let out a yawn and rubbed his sleepy eyes, Nick lazily raised a hand to scratch his head, his blond locks mussed and pointing every which way.

"Kev?" Nick croaked, his brow furrowing in confusion, "What's goin' on?"

AJ plopped down into a chair, clad only in silk, navy boxers, "Yeah. What's the deal, Kevvy? It's the middle of the night and we get woke up by a bunch of scuffling around in here. What were you doin'?"

Brian's eyes had grown wide as he listened. Oh, crap. They're all here. Brian looked up with pleading eyes as Kevin looked back down at him. Kevin grinned. Brian closed his eyes, he knew that smile. He went back to concentrating on eating what was left inside his mouth.

Kevin turned to the others, a smirk on his face, "I thought I heard somethin' coming from in here and decided to check it out."

Howie looked at Kevin with a question in his dark eyes, "So? What'dya find?"

Kevin's teeth flashed, "Brian."

The other three looked confused, Nick looked around, "Huh? Where?"

Kevin smiled wider and pointed down behind the couch, "Here."

Kevin scooted over as the other three came over and looked behind the couch. Brian gave the four faces gawking down at him an uneasy smile. Brian looked away for a bit and swallowed hard, then cleared his throat and gazed up at his band mates, "Hi."

Howie glanced at the others, then back at Brian, eyebrows raised, "Brian? What on earth are you doin' back there? And in the middle of the night?"

Nick looked positively befuddled, then he stared hard at Brian's face as he noticed something. His sandy eyebrows lowered as his blue eyes narrowed, "Brian, what's that on your face?"

"Huh?" blurted Brian, quickly swiping a hand across his mouth and covertly glancing at it. He silently cursed when he saw the white powder. He looked back up at Nick, stuttering, "I-it's... it's, um... uh... I, eh-hem!... ...It's... um... ... ... ... ...toothpaste!" Brian nodded at himself, "Yeah, it's toothpaste. I guess I musta missed a spot when I washed up."

Nick quirked an eyebrow, obviously not believing him. AJ looked at Brian with a critical eye, noticing how Brian's other hand was behind his back. AJ rested his tattooed arms on the back of the couch and asked quietly, "Brian, what's behind yer back?"

Brian suddenly looked like the little boy who had gotten his hand caught in the proverbial cookie jar. He swallowed and searched for a way out of his currant situation, "Um... nothing?"

Oh, yeah. Brian mentally rolled his eyes at himself. That's convincing, B-rok.

Kevin narrowed his eyes, "What's behind your back, Brian."

Brian winced. He knew that tone. Ole Kevvy used it on Nicky tons of times. With a sigh, Brian realized the jig was up. He pulled his package out from behind his back.

Four jaws dropped. Nick did a quick shake of the head, blinking, then stared at the bag with wide eyes, "Powdered donuts!?!?"

Brian pulled the bag close to his chest, "MY powdered donuts."

AJ straightened and crossed his arms over his chest, "Not anymore."

Brian narrowed his eyes, "Wanna bet?" Brian quickly reached into the bag and snatched one of the white, powder covered donuts and shoved the whole thing in his mouth. He glared defiantly at the four astonished faces staring down at him as he ate the donut.

Nick switched his vivid eyes to Kevin, "Minis!! They're MINI powdered donuts! Kev-in! Tell him to share!!"

Kevin nodded. Hell, he wanted some, too. Mmmm, powdered donuts. Kevin looked down at Brian expectantly, "Brian, you are goin' to share those donuts."

Brian vehemently shook his head, "No way! I bought them, they're mine!! Why the hell ya think I'm hidin' back here? I knew you guys would want them!"

Howie had been slowly moving to a closer position to Brian while the others argued with him, his dark eyes on the bag of snowy white confections. Now, within arms reach, Howie reached down and snatched a hold of the bag.

Brian gasped, his eyes now riveted on Howie in betrayal, "Hey!"

Brian got both of his hands on the bag and leaned back, trying to get Howie to let go. Howie pressed his lips together and pulled just as hard as Brian. Howie looked to the others beside him as he stretched over the back of the couch, "Well? Are ya gonna help me or not?"

That was all it took and the bag was now being tugged five different ways. Suddenly, there was a low, drawn out squeak and the bag gave out. The sudden release caused the five men to fall back and two dozen miniature powdered donuts to go airborne, heading straight toward the ceiling fan that turned at full speed above them.

Nick, Howie, AJ, and Kevin flew back with arms out-stretched, pieces of plastic still in their clasped hands. The breath rushed out of each of them as the wind got knocked out of their lungs upon impact with the deceptively soft looking carpet floor.

Brian fell back and slammed the back of his head against the wall, his elbows following a similar route. Brian immediately sat up and rubbed a hand at the back of his head with a wince, "Ouch."

Something bonked him on the head and he looked up, his jaw dropped, "Oh, crap!" He covered his head with his arms.

The others were still struggling to breathe as they stared helplessly up at the two dozen donuts and accompanying powder falling toward them. AJ let out a dry, strained chuckle, forcing out in a breathy whisper, "Look Mom! It's snowing!!"

As those within the surrounding rooms of the hotel slept in silence, the Backstreet Boys' suite's living room was filled with the sound of multiple, soft plopping. When it was over, everything was still.

Nick, Howie, Kevin, and AJ all slowly sat up in one fluid motion. Each one was coated in a blanket of white, with multiple donut pieces falling on their laps. Simultaneously, they all shook like wet dogs. Clouds of white powder floated off them and to the beige carpet, dotted with donut parts.

Brian slowly lowered his arms from where he still resided behind the couch. He coughed, white powder billowing from him with the action. He frowned as he lifted a hand to his head and snatched up a donut that had landed there. He brought it in front of his face and let his blue eyes narrow in anger, a pout pursing his lips.

With a growl, Brian shot to his feet in a cloud of powder and glared at the four surprised faces staring up at him from the floor. Brian shook the donut in his hand at them, his face red while still powdered with white, "THIS! This is what I KNEW would happen! Can't a man just eat his powdered donuts in peace?!"

Nick suddenly smirked, a twinkle dancing in his aqua colored eyes. His teeth flashed as his smile widened, his hand reaching down and plucking up a handful of donut pieces. He looked up at Brian, his voice trembling with suppressed mirth, "Well, Brian. You can eat your powdered donuts in... PIECES!!"

Brian froze and the room was filled with a deafening silence. Then, from the most unexpected source, came a snort. Four pairs of eyes shot to Kevin, who's lips trembled as he fought to keep back the laughter that wanted to burst forth. Another snort and Kevin gave up, howling in laughter.

AJ, Howie, and Nick all smiled. Then all chuckled. Then all burst out laughing. All four of them now rolling on the powder and donut covered carpet, whooping in giggles.

Brian's jaw dropped and he crossed his arms in a huff, one hand still holding his one whole donut. He stared down at it and frowned. Brian jumped over the back of the couch and landed on the soft cushions, powder poofing up at him. With a sigh, he bit into the donut and stared at his four hysterical friends.

I just wanted to eat my powdered donuts. Was that too much to ask?

His blue eyes scanned the donut littered room, the sour look still on his handsome face. Huh, I'd hate to be the housekeeper that has to clean this up!


The End.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6691