Seven Days by Refuse
Summary: The BSB are all kidnapped and left in the middle of nowhere by a mad woman. What does she want with them and what can they do? Will their friendship be enough to save them or will it crumble?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Action, Drama, Suspense, Adventure
Warnings: Graphic Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 52200 Read: 23268 Published: 01/30/06 Updated: 01/31/06

1. Chapter 1 by Refuse

2. Chapter 2 by Refuse

3. Chapter 3 by Refuse

4. Chapter 4 by Refuse

5. Chapter 5 by Refuse

6. Chapter 6 by Refuse

7. Chapter 7 by Refuse

8. Chapter 8 by Refuse

9. Chapter 9 by Refuse

10. Chapter 10 by Refuse

11. Epilogue by Refuse

Chapter 1 by Refuse
///////Day1\



"Hey, c'mon guys!" begged AJ, a pleading looking on his handsome face. "You gotta see this! It's whack!"

"I don't know, AJ," said Howie, tilting his head at his friend. "You said that about the last movie you wanted us to watch with you."

"Yeah," agreed Nick, "and that last movie was just plain weird, AJ."

AJ feigned hurt, "You just don't have any good taste, you all don't know a classic when you see one."

"Oh, really," joined Brian, taking AJ's bait.

AJ smiled slyly, "Yeah, really."

"We'll just see about that, AJ," said Brian with determination, then looked to his best friend, "Right, Nick?"

"You're on your own this time, Bri," replied Nick, smiling at AJ's little ploy. "You guys enjoy your movie, I'm going to go play some N64."

And with that, Nick turned and headed to the back of the bus, leaving the others to the mercy of AJ.

"All right," declared AJ, motioning to Howie, Brian, and Kevin. "Park yerselves on da couch and prepare to be amazed with this very classic movie."

Kevin began to strategically back away, trying to go unnoticed. He didn't know how he got included in AJ's little showing, but he was not going to let Nick be the only one to escape.

" 'Ey, Kev!" hollered AJ, smirking at Kevin's attempt to miss out on his little show, "Where do ya think yer going? Get yer butt back here!"

Kevin's shoulders slumped at his foiled escape, he gave AJ a look of 'this had better be worth it'. AJ just kept on smirking.

AJ went up and put the tape into the VCR and then jumped onto the couch between Howie and Brian, Kevin sitting next to Howie. The movie began and they all got settled in and watched, none of them noticing that the bus was slowing or that a light haze had begun to fill the air around them.

Soon the air was thick with the light blue haze, catching the attention of those within it.

"Hey," said Kevin, looking at the fog developing around him and coughing slightly, "What the hell is this?"

"I don't know," coughed Brian, his eyes beginning to water, "It sure isn't all that pleasant... let's open some windows-" *cough* "-try and vent some of this stuff out." Brian continued, beginning to wheeze after every few words.

As they went to open some windows, they found it was hard to move. Their bodies were slow to react to what they wanted them to do.

"Shit," gasped AJ, opening a window and reveling in the fresh air that hit his face, but noticing that it didn't improve his breathing or help the dizziness that filled his mind, "What... the hell... is this stuff?"

"Gas," Kevin strained out in sudden realization, the small bus room beginning to fade out as he tried to focus on his friends, "Oh, God... it's gas..."

"What?!" gasped Brian, then after a small coughing fit, "Gas?......Why-..."

Brian got no further as darkness encroached the edges of his vision, soon covering it as he sank to the floor, unconscious.

"Bri!" exclaimed AJ, moving toward his friend even as the darkness also claimed him. He fell to the floor not far from Brian.

Howie squeezed his eyes shut and then blinked rapidly as he sank onto the couch, trying to fight the cloud taking over his mind.

"Kev?..." breathed Howie, just before falling into unconsciousness.

Kevin did not hear him, as he had already slumped to the floor, leaning against the couch. None of them were able to notice it, but the bus had now come to a stop.



~~~~~()~~~~~



Nick idly played Nintendo, directing his little Mario Cart through all the twists and turns. He found himself not real interested in the game, it wasn't fun without his friends.

With a sigh, Nick carelessly tossed the controller to the side and turned the game off. Even if it is a stupid movie, it'd be worth it just because we're together having fun. Nick had learned very early on in life that you should take advantage of a friendship when it was offered, you never knew if you'd get another chance at one or how long that offer would last.

Nick pushed himself off the floor and began towards the door, when he felt the bus jerk to a stop. What the...

Nick's face scrunched up in confusion, Why are we stopping? With a bad feeling in his stomach, Nick quickly opened the door and made his way to the front of the bus. As he went along, he noticed a haze in the air. It was a light blue color and he could see it seeping out of some open windows.

He coughed, his eyes watering. Realizing what the haze was, Nick quickly brought the collar of his shirt over his nose and mouth, effectively blocking what little left of the gas remained.

Nick frantically reached the front where he'd last saw his friends, and froze. Before him were Brian, AJ, Howie, and Kevin. All were sprawled out and not moving.

"Guys?" he tentatively asked, praying they would answer. He pulled his shirt away from his face, the air now somewhat clean, "Bri? ... Kev? ... 'J? ... 'D?"

Nothing.

Nick began to feel panic rise within him, his heart hammering in his chest. He dropped down beside Brian, placing his hands on his shoulders.

"Brian?... Frick?" he called, shaking his friend, "C'mon, Bri... you're scarin' me. Brian! ... Wake up!"

The bus door behind Nick flew open. He spun around, startled. He stared into a face that seemed just as surprised as he. Nick at seeing a dark clothed woman with three large men in equally dark attire, the men with face masks and automatic weapons. The woman at seeing one of her targets conscious.

Before Nick could even comprehend what was going on, the woman signaled to one of the large men. Nick stared in fear as the man came at him, weapon in hand. Nick remained by his friend's side, not wanting anymore harm brought to him or the others. He glared at the dark clothed man, somehow finding defiance within himself.

The man stopped before him and leaned close. Nick couldn't stop himself from flinching away.

"Say good-night, kid," the man growled, bringing the butt of his gun around and slamming it into the side of Nick's head.

Without a sound, Nick slumped down next to Brian.

The man turned back to the woman, a satisfied smirk gracing the haggard features beneath the mask. He had enjoyed that.

"OK, lets get them loaded up and outta here, before the cops come," ordered the woman, an angry scowl twisting her beautiful face. "Some damned civilian motorist saw us and the bus and picked up his cell phone, he had to of been callin' the police. We gotta book it."

The man nodded his head and motioned the two men behind his boss to help him with moving the unconscious Backstreet Boys.

Fifteen minutes later, a black unmarked van pulled away from the large tour bus. Leaving an empty bus, a bus that was supposed to have the Backstreet Boys within its walls. A bus due in Seattle in one hour, but would never arrive.



~~~~~()~~~~~



Kevin slowly awoke to a cool breeze against his face. He frowned and slowly opened his eyes, confused. We are in the bus, how could there be a breeze?

As his blurred vision cleared he found himself looking up at a blue sky and trees were all around him. Kevin then noticed he was lying on grass. Startled, he abruptly sat up. The world spun and his head pounded. Groaning, Kevin brought his hand up to his head and looked around. He saw Brian, Nick, Howie, and AJ. They were all sprawled on the ground around him, none of them moving.

Panicking, he scrambled over to them. Crouching by Brian, he was relieved to find that he was breathing, as were the others. Kevin looked back down at Brian and tried to wake him up.

"Brian!" Nothing. "Brian, come on! Wake up!" Kevin was now shaking him.

"Would the person yelling please shut the hell up?" groaned a voice.

Kevin turned and saw AJ sitting up, rubbing his head, "Man, I have the worst headache. Anyone got some Tylonal?"

"AJ!!!" cried Kevin.

"What?!"

"You're awake!" exclaimed Kevin, crawling over to him, not trusting himself to stand.

"Well, DUH!" supplied AJ, beginning to look at his surroundings. Seeing the others and the strange change of scenery from a bus to nature got his attention.

"What the hell is going on?"

"I don't know," replied Kevin. "Help me wake the others."

Kevin went to Nick and Brian while AJ went to Howie. Now between Nick and Brian, Kevin noticed that Nick had a bruise forming on the side of his head, just above the temple. Concerned, Kevin gently touched the discoloration. A faint moan came from the young blond, but he did not wake. Kevin was worried that Nick had been knocked out by a different means than the rest of them.

Kevin and AJ continued to try and wake their friends, but try as they might, they couldn't wake them up. "Let's just let them wake up on their own. That's how we woke up," suggested Kevin.

AJ nodded and they both moved to sit under the shade of a nearby tree, waiting for their friends to return and trying to remember what had happened.

A low groan was the greeting of another conscious member of their group. Brian brought both hands up to his face, wincing at the pain in his head. He laid there, trying to figure out why he was waking up with such a headache when he didn't even remember falling asleep. Brian cautiously turned his head when he heard a sound. He saw Howie slowly sitting up, looking around with a confused expression on his face.

"Howie?" whispered Brian, not wanting to speak louder in case his headache worsened.

Howie turned to him, "Brian? What's going on? Why are we in a forest?"

"What?" asked Brian, sitting up and looking at his surroundings, feeling his headache beginning to gradually lesson. He noticed AJ and Kevin staring at them from under a nearby tree, "Hey, guys."

AJ and Kevin had decided to not say anything as Brian and Howie had awakened, not wanting to confuse them. Now that they seemed coherent, they moved from the shade of the tree to their sides.

"Hey, welcome back. Did ya get enough beauty sleep?" AJ smirked, glad his friends were back in the land of the living. He also felt better, the headache he had now gone. The same was true of Kevin, too.

Brian rolled his eyes, "Ha ha, AJ." He then noticed the expression on Kevin's face, "What's going on, Kev?"

Kevin looked at his cousin, remembering some of what happened, "I'm not sure, Brian. I seem to remember... a cloud of gas?... filling the bus and-"

"Nick!" Brian suddenly gasped out, interrupting Kevin and looking wildly around him as he noticed he saw only three of his friends instead of four. "Frack!" Brian spotted his friend not far from him, still laying on the grass, still unconscious. Brian hurried to his side, "Frack? Nick, do ya hear me?" Brian shook him, "Nick! Wake up!"

Brian felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see Kevin. "Nick can't hear ya, Brian. He was knocked out, just like the rest of us, but," Kevin paused and leaned over Nick, turning his head to the side to reveal the dark bruise. "Whoever did all this, knocked Nick out by force instead of gas," Kevin finished sadly, now remembering more of what happened.

Brian could only stare at the dark bruise on the side of his friend's face, shocked.

"Hey, wasn't Nick in the back of the bus playing Nintendo?" asked Howie, memories beginning to work their way through his fuzzy mind. "We were in the front watching one of AJ's weird movies, that's where the gas came in through the vents."

"Yeah," agreed AJ, also remembering, "There isn't a vent in the back room of the bus, Nick must not of gotten any of the gas and when he came to the front, he found us all unconscious. The people who did this probably came in and found him still awake and-"

"-Knocked him out the old-fashioned way." This came from a female voice.

They all looked around for the woman, but could see no one.

"You won't be able to find me. There's a radio on the ground next to a large rock... Ah, good. You found it."

Kevin had gotten up and followed the voice, finding the small radio.

"Now," the woman continued, a false sweetness entering her voice, "How did my 'precious' Backstreet Boys enjoy their nap?"

The guys all glanced at each other, not liking the tone that had suddenly entered the woman's voice. AJ angrily swiped the radio from Kevin, "Who the hell are you?" he hissed, glaring at the black object in his hand, "What do you want from us?!"

"Tsk tsk, AJ. Such a temper," the woman replied, then her voice took on a sinister quality, "Now, you don't want to piss off the very people who shall decide if you live or die. Trust me, you really don't."

AJ's eyes widened. The way the woman's voice had changed so easily caused a chill to run through him. It was like turning a light off and on.

Kevin took the radio from AJ, also noticing the abrupt changes in the woman's voice. He kept his voice even as he asked, "What do you want with us? Why have you brought us out here?"

The woman's voice changed again, returning to the false sweetness she had used before, "Well, Kevin, I am a criminal. I like to break the law, do things MY way." Kevin glanced at the others, not liking how the woman had spoken as if she were discussing the weather, instead of declaring herself as a wanted criminal. Kevin focused back on what she was saying, "I have been quite successful in this trade, but I found it got boring. I needed a change, something big. Then what do I see on TV, but you guys. The famous and extremely loved worldwide, Backstreet Boys. An idea formed in my mind and I had to act on it." Her voice took to a calculating tone, "You, my friends, are now mine. You shall do as 'I' tell you. I can see and hear everything you do and say. You are all now under MY control."

The guys looked fearfully at one another, knowing they were in the clutches of a mad woman. Brian unconsciously laid his hand on Nick's chest, fearing for his and his friends' lives. Nick stirred, a soft moan parting his lips.

Brian turned his full attention on his best friend's awakening form, "Nick?" he whispered, not wanting to draw the woman's attention, "Nick? You wakin' up?"

Nick groaned again while rolling his head to the side, the sound reaching the demented woman, "Ahh, Mr. Carter. How good of you to join us."

Nick's eyes snapped open and he sat up abruptly. Light drilled into his eyes and shot pain through his head. Bringing a hand to his face and over his eyes, he moaned again, feeling his stomach turn.

"Nick?" Brian whispered, worried.

Nick moved his fingers enough so he could see Brian and still shade them from the light. Brian was surprised, he saw fear in Nick's blue eyes.

Nick had come to with a jolt after hearing that evil and familiar voice. He remembered that voice, he'd heard it as he laid on the floor of the bus, just before blackness took him away. There was no feeling, no real emotion in the voice.

Nick slowly laid back down, finding it hard to focus. He brought his arm over his eyes, letting out a steadying breath.

"Nick? You okay?" asked Brian.

The woman answered Brian's question, a mocking tone conveyed her voice this time, "What do you think, Brian? That he's going to wake up all fine and dandy after getting clobbered in the head?" They all stayed quiet, not sure if she was expecting an answer.

"Really," she continued, "I thought you were smarter than that. He has a concussion, Mr. Littrell."

"Will he be okay?" Howie hesitantly asked.

"Yeah," the woman offhandedly answered, as if she could care less, "he just won't be feeling all that hot and he'll probably have trouble with the difference of up and down. He'll be fine in a day or so."

The woman's voice changed yet again, becoming emotionless and unfeeling, "That brings me back to my plan. You shall have seven days to reach a cabin approximately twelve miles northwest. I believe I put a compass in your jeans pocket, Kevin, and I'd strongly advise you to keep the radio with you at all times, for I shall contact you every so often. You must stay together at all times. If you do not reach the cabin in the appointed time... Well, I can say that the consequences won't be pleasant."

"Why?" asked Howie softly, disbelief in his tone, "Why do you want us to do this? What's the point?"

The woman laughed, the sound mocking, "Why... It's a game, Mr. Dorough. No game has a point or reason for its existance, only a team with a common goal to achieve. The question is, will you be able to reach your goal?"

Silence answered her question.

The woman now seemed to become excited, "Now, let the fun begin! I shall be watching you with great interest. Please, for your sakes, don't disappoint me."

Brian couldn't take it any longer, he jumped up from Nick's side and grabbed the radio from Kevin's shocked hands.

"Fun? ... FUN?! ... You call playing with our lives FUN?!" he shouted into the small, black radio. His only answer was static.

AJ had stayed silent throughout the conversation, unable to believe what was happening. He now looked from Brian to Nick and finally to Kevin, who now stared at a compass in his hand.

AJ shook his head. "Shit," he swore, unable to describe the situation he now found himself and his friends in any other way.

Howie looked around at his friends, "I can't believe this is happening."

Brian stared angrily down at the radio in his hand, desperately wanting to reach through it and get his hands on the person that was the cause of all that has happened. He wasn't used to the anger that was now burning in his chest. It was just a reaction, though now he slowly reigned in the anger. It wouldn't change or help their situation.

"Well, believe it," said Kevin, studying the compass in his hand and thinking, "We just have to do as she says. There's nothing else that we can do."

"Well... what do we do?" asked AJ, stepping toward Kevin and looking at the compass.

Kevin looked from the compass to up at the sun, trying to tell what time of day it was. He no longer had his watch. He squinted, then looked at the others, "Do any of you still have your watches?"

They all, excluding Nick, looked at their wrists. All looked at Kevin and shook their heads.

Kevin sighed, "Well, near as I can tell, I'd say its around 7:00 p.m."

AJ looked confused, "Yeah, so?"

"It's too late to do any walkin' so I guess we should spend the night here. That and the fact that I don't think Nick is up to walkin' around," replied Kevin, gesturing to Nick who was still lying on the ground with his arm draped over his eyes.

Nick felt like shit. Plain and simple. His head hurt, his eyes were all funky, and his stomach did somersaults every time he moved. He did not like having what that lady had called a concussion. No, not at all.

He didn't dare move, feeling that if he did he would throw up. He did not want to be sick in front of his friends. They were in a very dangerous situation, they all had to be strong. Throwing up would show that he was weak, and he would not be weak. His friends needed him. Plus, it was rather embarressing.

He felt a hand on his shoulder, "Hey, Nick? You all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Frick," said Nick with a sigh, not moving his arm to look at Brian.

Brian glanced at the others, not the slightest bit convinced that Nick was 'fine'.

"Uh-huh, sure. You wanna sit up for a while and talk?" asked Brian.

No! Nick's mind screamed, but he answered, "Yeah, I guess so."

Brian helped Nick up and they started toward the shade tree where the others had all gathered. Brian had felt Nick's knees buckle slightly when he had picked him up off the ground. Nick also slightly swayed, his feet stumbling along. Yeah, sure Frack. You're just fine.

It had took everything Nick had to not throw up when Brian had lifted him up from the ground. As they stumbled along, Nick felt the blood leave his face in a rush. Oh, God... this is not good.

Brian suddenly felt Nick tear out of his grasp, watching him fall to his knees a few feet away. Fear rose within him when he heard Nick being sick. Brian went to his side and rubbed his back, trying to comfort his hurt friend.

Nick closed his eyes when he was done, angry that he couldn't stop it. He felt Brian rubbing his back and it helped, until Nick realized that this was not helping their situation any.

Brian felt Nick abruptly shrug him off. He pulled away, slightly hurt. Nick got shakily to his feet and managed to reach the shade under the tree. Brian shook his head and joined him.

Nick sat down and refused to make eye contact with his friends. He could feel all of their concerned stares and it was nice to know they cared, but they had to be strong to get out of this alive. Nick would not let them waste their time worrying about him when they could be thinking on how they could get out of this.

"Okay," started Kevin, sparing one last glance at Nick. "Let's see, what are our options?"

"Well," said Howie, "that woman said that she could see and hear everything we do and say. So we don't have much choice, do we?"

Kevin thought for a moment, "No, I don't think we do. I mean, we don't even know where we are."

"So... what?" commented Brian, "Do we just go through with this crazy scheme and go to that cabin she talked about?"

Kevin sighed, "There's nothing else we can do. We don't know where we are, who has taken us, or what they plan to do."

Howie broke in, "Maybe if we do as she says, she'll let us go."

"No, she won't."

They all looked at Nick, who continued, "I saw her face. She can't let us live if I've seen her face. Well, atleast she can't let 'me' live."

"Hey, don't say that Nick," Brian jumped in, "We won't let her hurt you." Brian saw Nick's mouth form a scowl, and amended sheepishly, "Well, atleast not anymore."

AJ joined the conversation, "You saw her face? When?"

Nick finally looked at his friends, "On the bus, when... when I found all of you just lying there. I tried to wake you up, when the door flew open and she was standing there with three big guys with guns behind her. They had masks on, but she didn't. So I saw her face, then she had one of those guys knock me out." Nick grimaced slightly at the memory, touching the bruise on his head before continuing, "I'll never forget her face. She's beautiful, but something about her... I mean, her eyes... they were... evil, cold. It was like she could kill you by just looking at you." Nick shuddered.

"She's crazy," declared AJ, breaking the brief silence. "How can we go against someone demented?"

"We'll just have to find a way," said Kevin, not willing to let this woman take over their lives. Their lives were their own to control, only their own and no one else's. He would prove that, no matter what, he would prove it.

Nick found himself suddenly feeling very drowsy, his eyelids felt heavy and his mind foggy. It was becoming difficult to stay aware. Brian noticed Nick fighting against sleep.

"Nick, you okay?"

How many times is he going to ask me that? thought Nick, but answered Brian truthfully, knowing he could not hide how tired he was, "I can't stay awake."

Brian looked at Kevin, silently asking what they should do. Kevin looked at Nick, "It's okay, Nick. You can go to sleep, we all should. Then we can get an early start tomorrow."

They could barely see Nick nod his head before he laid down on the ground and was immediately asleep.

Kevin turned to the others, "We should wake him up every few hours. I heard you are supposed to do that with concussions."

They nodded their heads. "I'll do it," said Brian, then asked, "Do they cause you to be sick, too?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do," Kevin saw Brian sag in relief, "Don't worry, Brian. He'll be fine. Okay, now we should get some sleep," continued Kevin. He smirked dryly, "We have a big day tomorrow."

As Kevin, AJ, and Howie all laid down and fell asleep, Brian leaned back and looked up into the darkening sky. He folded his arms behind his head, trying to get comfortable on the hard ground. A smirk turned Brian's mouth as the sound of AJ's soft snore soon filled the small clearing. Brian blinked. Atleast I'm not here alone. That would be the worst, to not have my friends with me. Brian sighed, finally feeling sleep begin to claim him. Before he drifted off he made a mental note to wake and see to Nick in a few hours.



~~~~~()~~~~~



An evil smile lifted the corners of her mouth, distorting her beautiful face as she watched the screen before her. The last one had finally fallen asleep. She had listened with great interest as they had discussed what they should do. She was glad that they had decided to go along with what she had planned, she didn't want to kill them so soon. Not after all the work she had done to make this all happen.

No, no, they'd do it. They didn't have any choice. When the game was over, after they had reached the cabin, 'then' she would kill them. As young Nick had said, he had seen her face and the others would know that she had killed him, so they would have to be killed also. Although, she hadn't ever considered letting them live.

Yes, she would enjoy this. This was so much more fun than just ripping off banks and pulling elaborate cons. Oh, much more fun. Part of the fun was not knowing what would happen, but still having control. It gave her a different kind of power than she had ever felt before.

She enjoyed killing. The power to end another's life was like nothing else. She waited in suspense of the moment when she would kill the Backstreet Boys.

That is, if they survived the journey to the cabin...

Her thoughts were brought back to the present as one of them awakened. She looked at the clock on the wall. It read 10:37 p.m. She chuckled. It was amazing how time flew by when one's mind was occupied by such wondrous thoughts.



~~~~~()~~~~~



Brian awoke when he had a nagging feeling that he should. His internal alarm clock was ringing. He sleepily rubbed his eyes, looking around him.

Brian noticed that it was very light out still, almost the same as when he had fallen asleep. This nagged at him. Shrugging, he pushed it aside and sat up. He crawled to Nick's sleeping form, smiling at the peaceful expression on his face. Aw, I hate to wake him...
With a sigh, Brian placed his hand on the side of Nick's face, slapping it gently.

"Nick!" he whispered only somewhat loudly, not wanting to wake the others. "Nick, wake up!"

Brian slapped Nick a little harder, bringing a groan from his sleeping friend. "Yeah, that's it. Wakie, wakie!"

Brian frowned when he got no more response, "Nick!"

Nothing.

"Nick!" This time Brian hit him a little too hard.

"Ow!" Nick cried, his hand flying up to his face. Nick's eyes snapped open to see a sheepish Brian.

"Oops... sorry?" Brian asked tentatively.

Nick just stared at him, confused. His head still hurt the same as before, and the image of Brian's face seemed to waver, the unfocussed sight causing his stomach to flip. Swallowing, Nick blinked up at Brian as confusion jumbled his thoughts. Nick wanted to know why Brian had woken him up.

Brian read Nick's expression and explained, "Kevin said we should wake you every few hours. He said he heard that you had to do that with concussions."

Nick slowly nodded, laying his head back on the ground and closing his eyes. Before Brian could say anymore, he was asleep.

Brian sighed. This is going to be a long night.

Brian again settled back on the hard ground, falling asleep only to wake two more times to wake Nick. He was glad it became easier to wake Nick each time. He also couldn't help notice how the sky stayed somewhat bright, he could even still see some of the sun on the horizon. It just moved to the side somewhat. These thoughts were on his mind as he drifted off once again.



///////Day2\



As early morning's orange light broke out, Nick woke up and blinked his eyes. He felt sick. Oh, no... not again. Nick gingerly sat up and looked at his friends. They were still sleeping. Nick closed his eyes as a wave of nausea swept through him. I gotta get outta here.

Nick carefully gained his feet and stumbled out of the clearing, leaving his friends behind. He didn't want them to know he was sick again. It was bad enough that he was sick in front of them before, not again.



~~~~~()~~~~~



"Bri-an!"

Brian jerked awake, his eyes opening to see AJ leaning over him with a big grin on his face.

"What, AJ?"

"It's morning, time to get up. Kevin's orders," AJ replied, helping Brian to stand.

Brian stared for a moment, then asked, " 'Kevin's orders'?"

"Yeah," said AJ, leaning closer to Brian as he continued, "He's turned into a commando. He's been ordering us around since he woke up five minutes ago."

Brian raised his eyebrows, "Really?"

"Yep, he's getting us all ready to go in search for that damned cabin."

Brian chose to change the subject, "Where's Nick?"

That caught AJ off guard, "Don't you know?"

"No, I just woke up!"

AJ looked at Brian and Brian didn't like what he saw in his eyes.

AJ swallowed, "Uh-oh."
Chapter 2 by Refuse
"Uh-oh?" Brian asked, not sure if he heard AJ right, "UH-OH?! What do you mean, uh-oh?"

AJ looked apologetically at Brian, "He wasn't here when I woke up. I thought you'd know where he is. You woke him up last night, didn't ya?"

"Yeah, but I wouldn't of let him leave!" Brian cried, beginning to panic. "That woman said we 'had' to stay together. We have to find him!"

"We will, Bri," replied AJ, hoping his voice sounded convincing. "Don't worry, we'll find him."

Brian couldn't believe it. Where could Nick of gone? Or more importantly, WHY did he leave without telling us?

"Hey, Kevin!" yelled AJ, bringing Brian out of his thoughts, "Brian doesn't know where Nick is!"

Kevin and Howie came over to join AJ and Brian. "What?" asked Kevin, looking at Brian. "You don't know?"

Brian shook his head, beginning to feel as if it were his fault. I was supposed to look after him...

"Let's split up and look for him," ordered Kevin, "He couldn't of gotten far."

The others nodded and they each took a different path into the trees around them, the morning sun shining at their backs.

Before Brian got far he heard Kevin, "Don't wonder too far!" he called, "Whistle when you find him!"

Brian's sky blue eyes critically searched the area around him, determined not to miss a thing. He had to find Nick. If anything's happened to him, I'll never forgive myself.



~~~~~()~~~~~



After he had traveled a good distance, Nick could go no further. He fell to his knees, just as before, and threw up. Oh, God... I really hate this. Nick pushed himself to his feet and moved away from the mess, trying to distance himself from it before he was sick again. He stood, letting a tree hold the majority of his weight and stared at the ground. His vision still blurred in and out every so often, his head was a constant pain, and he still had trouble keeping his balance. Jeez, why did they have to hit me? he thought with a groan. Why couldn't they of gassed me like the others? They seemed to be just fine, they didn't feel like a train was running through their heads, blowing the whistle the whole way. God, this sucks.

Nick snapped his gaze up, he'd heard a noise. Nick glanced around nervously, leaning further into the tree, wishing he could melt into it. Nick froze, now desperately wanting to fade into the tree as a familiar sound reached his ears, sending a chill of fear through him.

What he had heard was laughter, evil laughter, a sound that Nick recognized all too clearly. He stared at the figure that came out of the foliage before him.

"Hey, kid. Ya miss me?"

No. Nick looked at the man that had 'oh so graciously' caused the hell he was going through right now. It was the man that had hit him, though he was masked then, Nick would NEVER forget that voice. Nick stared at the man, he wore camouflage coveralls and he didn't have his mask on. He had piercing black eyes, black short cropped hair, and a jagged red scar running from just under his left eye down to his jaw. The middle-aged man also had an evil way about him, he almost telecasted the message, 'Beware'. He was not a pretty sight, that was sure. If Nick had seen him on the street, he would have avoided him.

The man moved closer, stopping before Nick's frozen form. He placed his left hand against the tree, by Nick's head. "What's the matter? Cat got yer tongue?"

Intimidated and uncomfortable by the man's closeness, Nick stayed silent.

The man continued, "You know, I do believe that you were told to stay together. Weren't ya?"

Beginning to tremble, Nick couldn't even begin to give a response.

The man smirked at the fear he could see in Nick's eyes. He leaned closer and watched as Nick's eyes widened in terror, telling the man that Nick felt the knife at his throat. The man shifted his feet, "Now, Nick... You didn't do as you were told, what do ya think I should do about that?" he asked, moving the knife to trace the side of Nick's face, causing Nick to flinch and close his eyes.

Nick held his breath as the man ran the tip of the hunting knife down his jaw. He had never been so scared in his life. There was no way that he was able to answer the man, he didn't even think his voice would work at the moment.

The man answered his own question, "Well, the boss told us that we should only scare ya the first time ya broke the rules, letting ya know the second time you wouldn't be so lucky. But... I don't know. You think I should listen to her?"

The man stopped the knife at Nick's shirt collar, using the tip to move the navy colored material aside, letting the steal blade rest on Nick's collar bone. He looked into the frightened blue eyes that stared back at him, his own eyes glinting in mirth. "Or... " he continued, "...should I do more than jus' scare ya?"

Nick watched the man's haggard face as it looked at him in amusement. Nick swallowed, suddenly finding it hard to breathe. He closed his eyes as he felt the pressure of the knife increase. Oh, God... please, PLEASE... don't let me die...

His eyes snapped open with a gasp. Nick stared at the man in shock. The man just laughed. Nick felt a stinging pain. The man had cut him. He could feel the blood pulse out of the small cut. Yes, it was small, but still... he had actually cut him.

The man looked down at the small cut, lifting the knife up and waving it in front of Nick's shocked face. Nick paled at the sight of his own blood on the knife's blade.

The man smiled, "Didn't think I'd do it, did ya?"

Nick numbly shook his head, the first response he had given since the man had approached him.

"You know, that was fun. I think I should have some more fun..."

Nick only stared as the man brought the knife toward him again, to his throat. He closed his eyes and turned his head, the only thing he could do to avoid it. Right when he thought it was all over, a blessed sound reached his ears. The sound sent relief and fear through him simultaneously. Brian...

"Nick!... Nick! Can ya hear me?!"

The man jerked his head in the direction of the call, Damn it!

Nick looked at the man with fear, no longer in fear for his own life, but for Brian's.

The man turned back to Nick, giving him a wink, "Well, kid, I guess I should be going. You remember what I told you... And another thing, my name's Jake... Remember it..."

With that said, Jake disappeared into the forest once more. Leaving behind a reeling Nick, slowly sliding to the ground as his legs gave up the job of supporting him.



~~~~~()~~~~~



Brian called Nick's name again, hoping for a response. Brian stopped, straining his ears for anything that would signal his friend's presence.

Sighing, Brian continued walking. He changed his path to go around a large tree and called Nick's name, looking to the side. He switched his gaze forward and called again, but stopped, his mouth hanging open...

Shaking his head, Brian broke out of his stupor. "Nick!" he cried, running to his friend who was sitting on the ground leaning against a tree. Brian fell to his knees before Nick, anxiously looking into his face, which stared straight ahead, out into the forest behind Brian.

Brian looked to where Nick stared, and after seeing nothing but trees, turned back to Nick and waved a hand in front of his face, "Nick! Snap out of it, will ya?!"

Nick blinked, hearing Brian's voice. He looked into his friend's frenzied face, deciding right then and there that he would not tell Brian or any of the other's what had just happened. He would not be the cause of more worry.

"I- I'm fine, Brian," Nick stammered out, getting himself back in control and trying to block out his recent visit from 'Jake'.

Brian cocked his head to the side, "You sure?"

"Y- yeah... I'm sure."

"Good," Brian sighed, then, "What the hell did ya think you were doing?!"

Nick looked surprised.

"Why did ya wander off? You had us worried sick! And you know that woman said we were supposed to stay together."

Nick flinched at the last remark, his hand rubbing his collar bone.

"Hey, you sure you're OK?"

Nick nodded, removing his hand. He was glad he had a dark shirt on.

"So..." Brian insisted, "Why'd ya take off?"

Nick thought, "I- uh, I- wanted to check the area out. See some of what we had to walk through. Maybe figure out where we are," Nick gave Brian a sheepish smile, "I guess I got lost."

Brian studied Nick, a doubtful expression on his face, but ended up nodding his head, "You tell us where you go from now on, got it?"

"Got it," Nick smiled, wanting the subject closed.

Nick jumped at a loud whistle, the sound doing nothing good for his headache. He glared at Brian's smiling face.

"Sorry, Kev told us to whistle when we found ya."

"Well, you could warn a guy, ya know!"

They soon heard the sound of loud footsteps trudging through the undergrowth of the forest, Kevin and Howie emerging from its depths.

"You found him!" cried Howie, racing forward. He looked at Nick as Brian helped him to his feet. "You okay?"

Nick nodded his head, wincing. He still had that horrible headache.

Kevin watched Nick, Thank God he's all right, I was driving myself crazy looking for him. Fearing we'd never find him-... Kevin mentally shook his head, he couldn't think like that now, they had to get moving. "Where's AJ?"

Brian glared at Kevin. He didn't even ask about Nick. What's with him? "He should be coming, why?"

"We need to get moving, we've wasted time."

Brian's jaw dropped. 'Wasted time'? Looking for Nick was NOT a waste of time.

Nick took the others' discussion as a distraction and quickly checked his cut. He pulled his shirt collar away and saw that it had stopped bleeding, only darkening his shirt in one small spot. The cut was a couple inches long, but very shallow. Nick covered it back up and left it alone. He tried to forget what had happened, but Jake's ugly face kept popping into his head, his evil laugh echoing through his mind. No, he would not forget Jake.

Howie looked around, brow furrowed, "Where IS AJ?"



~~~~~()~~~~~



AJ made his way through the dense forest, pushing tree branches out of his path. He listened as they snapped back behind him. He silently pictured Howie behind him as they snapped back and ended up hitting Howie in the face. Just like on those TV shows, AJ smirked.

His face turned serious as he thought of the reason he was traipsing through the trees. Nick... jus' where the hell have ya gotten yerself to now? AJ scanned the forest as he walked, calling Nick's name.

Nothing.

AJ sighed and continued calling, soon getting to a point that he didn't expect a sound in return. So when he got one, it surprised him.

He paused, looking around and listening for a repeat. He got it, a rustling and a weird crying sound to his right. He ventured in that direction, being cautious. The sound stopped, AJ stood under a tree and crossed his arms, waiting.

Suddenly, he heard a squeak and then something landed on his head, grabbing hold of his highlighted hair.

"Jesus Martha!" screamed AJ, totally freaked out. His hands flew to his head, falling on a small furry body. Please... let it be a nice fur ball...

AJ got a hold on the small body and gently pried it out of his hair. As he brought it in front of his face, he prepared himself for what he might see. What he saw... wasn't what he expected. Two dark, innocent eyes stared back at him. A squirrel?

AJ chuckled, he then patted the squirrel on the head and set it on the ground. He waved his hands at it, trying to shoo it away. It just sat there and stared at him.

"Go on, get! Shoo!"

Still, it sat there staring. AJ decided he'd be the one to leave then. He began to walk away when the squirrel squeaked and jumped on his leg, climbing into his oversized jeans pocket.

You have got to be kidding me. AJ looked at the squirrel in his pocket. "You aren't going to leave me alone, are ya?" The squirrel just blinked at him, then made itself more comfortable in AJ's pocket.

"I'll take that as a 'no'," he sighed, then he thought of something. "That couldn't of been you makin' that noise I heard," he said to the squirrel. "So who did?"

AJ made his way back to the bushes where he had heard the weird noise. He stopped before them and took a deep breath, then parted the bushes and looked behind them. AJ saw a baby animal, a BIG baby animal. He thought it looked like a deer, but it seemed to be too awkward looking to be a deer. It had a big long head, two big ears, and four long, big kneed legs. It stood there staring at AJ. It is kinda cute. AJ reached a hand out to pet the animal, but he jerked back when it suddenly made that weird noise again.

AJ perked up when he heard a distant whistle. Someone has found Nick! Then a loud crashing sound came from behind AJ. He whipped around and stared at a much, MUCH larger version of the animal he had just attempted to pet. This one didn't seem very happy as it pawed the earth, nodding its antlered head angrily at AJ.

AJ's eyes widened as the realization of what he was staring at hit him. Oh, shit... Without a word, AJ turned on his heels and bolted to where he had heard the whistle, running as fast as he could, hearing the animal chasing after him, the startled squirrel gripping the inside of his pocket as he raced along.



~~~~~()~~~~~



The sound of something coming toward them loud and fast caught the boys' attention. They all stood facing the way they had come, the sound coming closer.

Kevin glanced at Howie, Howie glanced at Brian, Brian glanced at Nick, Nick glanced at... damn, ran out of people. Nick glanced in the direction of the noise. It was almost upon them as they all stood frozen.

AJ burst through the trees, running all out straight for them. They all waited, expecting AJ to stop. He didn't. They all stared as AJ ran right past them, their heads swinging with him as he raced passed.

AJ yelled...

"MOOSE!!!"

...and then he was out of sight.

Howie looked at Kevin, confused, "Moose?"

Suddenly, a large moose burst out of the trees, just as AJ had. Their eyes widened, "Moose!" they all cried as one. They all jumped into a run, following the same path as AJ.

Nick had a bit of trouble keeping one foot in front of the other and stumbled. Brian was there to catch him, though, and he continued on with Brian's hand clamped around his elbow in support. They all ran, casting nervous glances behind them at the large moose in pursuit. They soon were short of breath, beginning to tire, but thankfully so was the moose. It soon slowed and then stopped, staring at them before turning and heading back the way it had come.

The guys all slowed and then stopped, each bent over with their hands resting on their knees.

"A... J..." gasped Kevin, "What... the hell.... did... you do?!"

AJ leaned against a tree, catching his breath, "I just wanted to pet it."

Kevin looked at him, incredulous, "Pet it? You wanted to pet 'that'?" Kevin threw a thumb behind him.

"No way! I'm not stupid, it was a baby one."

"A 'baby' one?" asked Howie. "Didn't ya think the 'parent' would be nearby?"

"Well," said AJ, slightly sheepish, "the thought didn't exactly cross my mind."

"Obviously," commented Kevin.

Kevin took the compass out of his pocket, studying it closely, "Okay, we go in that direction." He said, pointing to his right.

"What?" asked Brian, still holding Nick up who was hunched over after the run. "You want us to leave, now?"

"Yep," replied Kevin, not noticing the contempt in Brian's voice. "We've lost a lot of time. If we don't leave soon, we won't make it to that cabin in time."

"But Nick needs to rest. Hell, we all do after that run," argued Brian quietly.

"No, no I don't," said Nick straightening, pulling away from Brian's support. "Kevin's right, we've wasted enough time. We should try and make some of it up."

Brian watched as Nick swayed ever so slightly on his feet. Nick still isn't fully recovered from the concussion. He needs rest, why can't Kevin see that? Brian made a move to steady Nick.

"I'm fine," said Nick sternly, stopping Brian. Nick's headache had not left yet and his balance was still a little off, but atleast he could see straight now. "Kevin, where do we go?"

"That way," he replied, again gesturing to his right. Nick nodded and began to follow Kevin. Soon so did Howie and AJ, followed by a reluctant Brian.



~~~~~()~~~~~



She shook her head. Chased by a moose... These five men were going to put on quite the show. Her face became emotionless as she heard the crackle of the radio. She reached for the receiver and spoke, "Report."

"Yeah, this is Jake. Just thought I'd let ya know that the Carter kid split from the group. I showed him the error of his ways, though." She could picture Jake's face as she heard the evil laugh through the radio. She smirked, Jake's personality was a lot like her own. Demented and evil. Amused by the fear and pain of others. She liked him. He was her favorite of her three men that she had hired.

"Yeah, I saw you. You scared the shit out of 'im," she chuckled, then became serious, "But... I specifically told you NOT to harm them the first time. It was a direct order, you disobeyed it."

For a moment their was silence, "Hey, boss... I'm sorry. It won't happen again. It's jus' that the kid... I don't know, I jus' don't like 'im."

The woman thought for a moment, coming to a decision, "All right, I'll let it go this once. But ... if it happens again..."

She left the rest unsaid, Jake could easily imagine the consequences. He knew what she was like, she was the one and only thing that actually scared him. But... Man alive, was she ever beautiful! She had a slim figure that she showed off with snug, close fitting clothes. Her shoulder length ebony hair curled in at the ends, her complexion was pale, her lips were a natural deep red, and she had ice blue eyes. Her eyes... the lightest shade of blue that he had ever seen, but... the way they changed so easily, along with her expressions... It caused even him to shudder. She was, in short, totally mad. He liked that in a woman.

"No prob', boss," he finally answered, he always called her 'boss', since he did not know her name. Hell, nobody knew it. "You can count on me."

"I should hope so," she replied coldly, ending the conversation.

She gazed back at the screens before her, they filled the small room. It was one of three rooms in the cabin the BSB were painstakingly trying to reach. She watched as they walked through the forest, she watched... her eyes became bright when she recognized the area they were traveling through. Ooh... this should be interesting...



~~~~~()~~~~~



The sun was beginning to set, casting the forest in a hazy, dim light of yellow. It was getting late. Five figures marched doggedly on, following one full of determination and an absolute mission to stop the person causing all their problems. The damned person that dragged them out... wherever this place was. The person that put his friends--his younger brothers in danger.

Nick had long ago drifted to the back of the line, not able to keep the same pace that Kevin tirelessly set. He would have been last in line if it weren't for Brian staying behind him. Nick was aware that Brian was watching him, looking over him like a mother hen. Brian knew that Nick was not up to code, the concussion still effecting him.

Howie also seemed to know of Nick's problem, his concern going unnoticed as he silently and carefully kept an eye on Nick. He had also slowed his pace, hanging back with Brian and Nick, walking a few feet ahead of Nick, Brian a couple of feet behind Nick.

Howie looked up ahead at AJ and Kevin, both a good twenty feet ahead. The sound of Nick stumbling caused him to take action.

"Hey, Kevin!" he yelled, getting Kev's attention, though he still kept walking.

"What?!" he called, not even looking back at Howie.

Howie frowned, "Don't you think we should stop for the night?!"

Without hesitation, Kevin answered, "No! We keep going! We have to make up lost time!"

"Kevin!" cried Howie, not believing what he just heard, "It's too dark out to keep this up! We can't clearly see the ground!"

Howie could vaguely see Kevin shaking his head, "We keep going!"

With a sigh of frustration, Howie sadly glanced back at the struggling Nick. He continued to follow Kevin, trusting his friend's judgment.

As they walked on, the sky darkened to a point that they could barely see the ground they walked on. A layer of clouds had silently rolled in, containing little threat of rain, but covering the sun and blackening the landscape. As Brian had noticed before, it would have been quite bright out if there were no clouds. But as there were, the dark night had fallen.

Nick forced himself to keep going. His only coherent thought was to put one foot in front of the other, to keep going, never quit, can't be weak and hold up his friends, but... Nick found himself desperately wanting to go to sleep. He had felt it ever since the moose had chased them, his shear will was the only thing keeping it at bay.

Brian worriedly watched his best friend struggle to keep going. Nick was too stubborn for his own good. Nick couldn't go on much longer, his body couldn't take much more.

AJ trudged behind Kevin, barely keeping up with him. He couldn't figure out why Kevin was pushing so hard. AJ believed they had plenty of time to get to that cabin, they didn't need to be walking at night. But Kevin was... well, Kevin. He was their older brother, the father figure. They all trusted his guidance and as such, they all followed him still, even though they each have their doubts at the moment. So AJ followed him, walking behind him as he turned up the tree laden hill they were walking across at a slant, avoiding a tree.

Howie yawned, becoming tired. They couldn't go much further without sleep, Kevin had to realize that. Howie came upon the same tree as Kevin had and turned below it instead of above. Almost immediately, he felt the earth under his feet begin to give, disintegrating. The darkness had shielded the weak ground, keeping the dormant landslide from view. Howie's weight was all it had needed to begin its much awaited descent down the steep hill. Howie gave a startled cry as he fell and slid along with the fast descending dirt and debris.

Nick was only a couple feet behind Howie and had followed him below the tree, hearing his cry and catching a glimpse of his white shirt as he disappeared from view.

"Howie!" he cried, then he stared at his own feet as the ground moved beneath them. Nick lost his footing and crashed to the ground on his back, the landslide growing and beginning to sweep Nick along with it.

"Brian!" Nick cried, desperately looking behind him as the landslide began to pull him down the hill.

Brian had looked up from the ground at hearing Howie's and then Nick's cry. He dived forward without thought and managed to grasp Nick's outstretched hand, he stared into Nick's terrified eyes as the ground continued to try and pull him down to join Howie.

Brian had stopped Nick's downward fall, but with wide eyes he noticed the ground he laid on was also merging with the widening landslide. He felt it give at his shoulders, traveling down to his chest, his waist, soon his knees. Brian began to be pulled down the hill. He desperately grabbed at a nearby sapling, but the small tree easily gave in to the strong force of the landslide.

Brian locked eyes with Nick, both knowing they were no longer in control. They yelled in fear as the landslide finally grasped and pulled them down, down into the dark reaches below.
Chapter 3 by Refuse
AJ had stopped and spun around when he'd heard Howie cry out. He looked back and caught a glimpse of his white shirt, then it was gone. "Howie?!" he yelled, wondering what just happened.

He saw Nick's blond hair, then he too disappeared from view along with what looked like Brian, his baby-blue sweater standing out in the dusky darkness. AJ froze as their fear filled screams echoed around him.

Kevin stopped dead in his tracks, the sound of Nick and Brian's yell filling his ears. He slowly turned around, seeing AJ standing frozen not far away. Kevin looked around him, searching for Nick, Howie, and Brian. They were nowhere to be seen. What the hell?

AJ was trying to figure out what had just happened. They were there, then they were gone. He looked behind him and saw Kevin with a perplexed expression on his face, obviously as lost as he was.

"What happened?" asked Kevin.

"I- I don't know," AJ replied, turning to where he had last seen his friends. "We gotta go check it out."

Kevin slowly nodded, still hearing the fear in his friends' voices as they echoed through his mind.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick gripped Brian's hand tightly, not wanting to lose him as they slid down the hill. Their pace was fast and out of control as they slid over rocks and small saplings, the loose earth cascading down with them. They felt each and every bump, knowing they'd soon have the bruises to prove it.

"Nick!" Brian cried, pointing ahead of them. Nick gasped as he saw the sillouette of a large tree dead ahead, becoming closer by the second. They knew the only solution to not slamming into the tree would be to release their gripped hands, to sever their only secure tie. They each prayed the other would be all right as they looked at each other one last time and then let go. They pushed away from each other and whipped by the large tree trunk on either side, barely missing it.

The push forced Nick onto his right side, he gritted his teeth as a sharp rock gouged at his side. Nick looked across from him and could see Brian. His breath caught. Brian was out of control, tumbling, rolling down. Nick forced himself to turn away and look below him. He saw the bottom rushing up to him, the falling dirt and debris already piling up around a still form. Howie!

Nick's feet hit the leveled off ground first, his momentum carrying him forward to slam to the hard forest floor. Ow... He closed his eyes and concentrated on breathing, the force of the hit having knocked the wind out of him. Finally retrieving his breath, he opened his eyes and looked around. There were mounds of dirt and debris all around him, he could hear and feel the dirt and pebbles still raining down on him and bouncing off the newly created piles. Nick forced himself off the ground and up to his knees, grunting at the dull pain in his side. He wrapped an arm around his stomach and looked for his friends, finding them lying still, only a couple yards from him. He struggled to his feet, favoring his side, and stumbled to them.

Nick dropped down beside Brian and Howie, both of them covered in dirt. Looking at Brian, Nick noticed his eyes were open.

"Brian? You okay?" he asked, hoping he'd answer.

Brian blinked and slowly turned his head to Nick, "I-I'm fine, Nick. I just don't really want to move for a couple minutes."

"You sure?" asked Nick, his voice tired sounding.

"Yeah, just give me a minute," Brian insisted, "How's Howie?"

"I don't know yet."

Nick turned to Howie's form, his eyes were closed but he was breathing. "Howie?... Hey, 'D!"

Nick bent over Howie and shook him slightly, trying to wake him up without hurting him in case he was injured. "Hey, c'mon Howie! Wake up!"

Howie groaned and brought a hand up to his face, rubbing his head. He opened his eyes to see a tired looking Nick with a smile on his face. Howie glanced around him, "W- wha' happened?"

"Uh, you kinda did a header down the hill," replied Nick, his smile turning cautious.

"Huh?" Howie looked confused, then his face brightened as the memory returned, "Oh, the landslide."

Now it was Nick's turn to look confused, "Landslide? Is that what that was?"

Howie sat up with a grimace and nodded, "Yeah, I didn't see it in the dark... It never woulda happened if we would of stopped for the night."

Nick looked closely at Howie, he seemed angry, "You all right?"

Howie thought for a moment, testing his arms and legs, "Yeah, I don't know how, but... yeah. I think I'm okay."

"Good," breathed Nick, leaning back on a dirt pile and closing his eyes, feeling the sleep he'd fought so hard beginning to take control.

Howie sat up straighter and studied Nick, "Nick, are 'you' okay?"

Nick half opened his eyes, "Yeah, just tired mainly."

"Mainly?" questioned Howie, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, well... I kinda hurt my side on the way down," Nick said, nodding his head up the hill.

"Let me see," said Howie, moving closer to Nick and reaching out as Nick struggled back into an upright position, "Is it bad?"

"No," grimaced Nick, "Not too bad." He lifted his shirt from his right side and showed Howie. Howie looked relieved.

"It looks like ya jus' scraped it. It's not bleeding, but it'll probably be sore for a while," informed Howie, then asked, "How's your head? It still botherin' ya?"

Nick leaned back again and closed his eyes, "It's better. Nothin' like before, I don't feel sick anymore and I can focus. But... I still got the headache and I really want to go to sleep." Nick rubbed his head and yawned.

Howie nodded and patted Nick on the shoulder, "You rest then. I think why you're so tired is because your head is trying to get better and sleep can help it heal."

Nick felt sleep taking over, but managed to mumble, "Okay, ... check on Brian." Then Nick was asleep.

Howie's eyes widened in surprise at Nick's last words, "Brian?"

"Yes?"

Howie looked on the other side of Nick and saw Brian, laying on the ground and looking at him. Howie managed to stand and walk around Nick's sleeping form and to Brian's side.

"Now jus' what are you doin' here?" smiled Howie, kneeling.

Brian grinned and finally moved into a sitting position, "Well, I saw you and Nick having so much fun and decided, 'What the hell!' I might as well join y'all."

"Yeah," chuckled Howie, "It was quite a trip, huh?"

"Hell, yeah! They should get that ride at Disney World!"

Howie laughed, Brian joining him. Both were glad for the tension breaking, until Brian suddenly stopped with a wince, his hand gripping his left shoulder.

"Hey, you okay?" asked Howie, concerned.

"Yeah," grunted Brian, slowly rotating his shoulder, "I think I just banged my shoulder up some. I think I just strained it."

"You sure? There isn't anything else?"

"Nah, although I think my new colors are black and blue. I'm gonna be covered in bruises, each one catagorin' a bump on that hill."

Howie smiled, "You and me both, brother."

Brian's gaze traveled to Nick, "So how's Nick?"

Howie looked at the sleeping form, "I think he'll be all right. Got a bit banged up like us, a scrape on the side, and that concussion isn't out of his system yet. I think he'll be a lot better after a night's rest."

An angry scowl appeared on Brian's face, "What the hell was the deal with Kevin? We should of stopped, then none of this would of happened." Brian used his right hand to gesture around him.

Howie nodded, anger showing on his face, too. "I don't know, but you can bet that I'm going to ask him."




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



AJ and Kevin carefully walked back to where the others used to be, stopping before a large crater now residing where earth once rested. Their eyes widened as the possible occurrence to what happened to their friends registered.

AJ dropped to his knees, staring at the still loose ground and then down the steep hill. "Oh, God... Kevin, they- they were..." AJ let his hands fall heavily on his lap, causing an audible squeak. "What the..." AJ lifted his hand and stared at his pocket, watching as it moved and a small, furry head cautiously poked out, the big black eyes blinking sleepily up at him.

"Holy..." AJ had forgotten about the little squirrel that had taken up residence in his pocket, he wondered how he could possibly of forgotten that?

"Hey, little guy," said AJ, patting the squirrel on the head. "Forgot you were there," he continued sadly, gazing down the dark hill. The squirrel gazed at AJ questioningly, seeing the sadness and worry on his face. It jumped out and climbed onto AJ's shoulder, its dark eyes watching him.

AJ stood abruptly, turning to Kevin who was blankly staring at the crater and slowly shaking his head, "Kevin, we gotta go after them."

Kevin didn't reply or move, he just continued to stare.

AJ's brow creased, "Kevin?... Kev! ... Hello!" AJ waved a hand in front of Kevin's face, still getting no response.

Kevin stared at the hole, not believing what he was seeing. Oh, God... This is all my fault! If I hadn't of pushed them... If I would of stopped when Howie asked... It's all my fault! They could be hurt... maybe ... 'dead'? Kevin came back to reality with a snap. He stared in shock at AJ before him. AJ had just slapped Kevin full in the face.

"Hey! Sorry, bro'," said AJ, "But we gotta find the guys."

Nodding, Kevin replied, "Yeah, o-okay. Lets go... watch your footing. This hill is still pretty unstable."

Kevin decided to do what he could to find and save his friends, then he would apologize and never be like that again. The guilt he had right now was overwhelming. The guys would be better off without me. Just look at what I've caused...

With the squirrel still on his shoulder, AJ followed close beside Kevin as they carefully made their way down the hill to their friends, slipping and sliding the whole way.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Howie and Brian looked up as dirt and pebbles rained down on them suddenly. They could see AJ and Kevin slipping and sliding down the hill toward them.

Brian looked at Howie, "Well, looks like you're gonna get that chance for a talk, 'D."

"Brian! 'D!" yelled AJ, hurrying his last steps and ending up on his rear, sliding the final distance to his friends. Not missing a beat, he was up on his feet immediately and by his friends, who each had amused smiles.

"You guys okay?" asked AJ, frantically looking them up and down, he then saw Nick, "Nick? Is Nick okay?"

"AJ!" smiled Howie, "He's fine, just sleepin'. We're fine, too, just a bit banged up."

AJ sagged in relief, "Thank God! What the hell happened to you guys?"

"Well," started Howie, tossing Kevin an angry look, Kevin just looked away, "I walked right on top of a landslide, causing it to break loose, draggin' me and Brian and Nick down the hill. Ya see, I didn't see it 'cause it was too dark." Howie and Brian glared at Kevin.

AJ saw the glares at Kevin and came to his defense, "Hey! It's not Kevin's fault, how could he of known there were landslides around here."

Brian glared at AJ, "There ya go, he DIDN'T know. He had no way of knowing what the landscape was like, so we should of stopped for the night."

"But-" began AJ, but Kevin interrupted him.

"No, AJ. Brian and Howie are right. I should of stopped, it IS my fault." Kevin stared into Howie's and Brian's angry eyes, "This is all my fault, I shouldn't of pushed you guys. I'm sorry... it won't happen again. I can guarantee it."

Howie and Brian froze, then glanced at each other, perplexed. Kevin admitted to it being his fault, he apologized. But... they each heard something else in Kevin's voice; guilt and... defeat? They both suddenly felt bad. After all, they didn't exactly refuse Kevin's wanting to keep going. They were just as much to blame.

"Kevin..." began Brian, then stopped, not knowing what to say. Howie helped him out.

"Kevin, we don't mean to be mad. And it's not all your fault, we didn't insist on stopping. So, we are just as much to blame. Its nobody's one fault, we all participated. It was just something that happened, an accident." Howie said this as he realized it, knowing it is true.

"No."

The finality in Kevin's voice caused Brian, Howie, and AJ to pause. Brian stood.

"Yes, Kev. It wasn't your fault, believe me. It WASN'T your fault," even as Brian said this, he could see the denial in Kevin's eyes.

Kevin shook his head, "No. It IS my fault, but you don't have to worry anymore. I won't do anything. I promise."

He won't do anything? AJ stepped forward, "Kev-"

"No, AJ. That's all I'll say about it." Kevin looked at his friends, his gaze staying on Nick's sleeping form as he continued, "Do you think we should go to sleep for the night?"

This caused the others to pause again, Did Kevin just ASK them to do something? Howie slowly nodded his head, not knowing how to take this sudden change of character, "Yeah, I guess. Its been a long day."

Kevin nodded his head and then laid down. The others followed suit, wondering if this accident was effecting Kevin differently then the rest of them. After a few minutes of silence, there was a squeak and then a yell, causing everyone to jerk up, including Nick who blinked sleepily at his friends, noticing that Kevin and AJ were now with them.

"Ahhhh! What the-?!" Brian yelled, scrambling back as fast as his shoulder would let him. AJ burst out laughing. There, sitting on Brian's chest, was the squirrel. The look on Brian's face as he continued to scramble backwards even though the hill stopped him, caused AJ to fall back with tears streaming down his face. The squirrel, at hearing AJ, jumped off Brian and ran to him.

The others just looked extremely confused and looked questioningly at AJ, who was now somewhat under control and sitting back up. Brian looked at AJ who was petting the... squirrel, Brian's heart was racing after the rude wake up by the damn thing.

AJ finally spoke, the smile easily heard in his voice, "Sorry, Bri'. I guess Squeaker here wanted to make a new friend." AJ couldn't help it, he laughed again.

"Squeaker?" asked Brian, glaring at the laughing AJ, "It has a name?"

"Well, yeah," explained AJ, "Ya see, when I found the moose this squirrel found me. He hasn't left me alone since, he stayed in my pocket and I forgot he was there until a bit ago. He was on my shoulder as I came down the hill, but I kept slipping and he jumped off, choosing to travel by ground. I guess it seemed safer. Anyways, when I found you guys he wasn't around. So I thought he finally decided to leave," AJ smiled at the squirrel staring up at him, "Guess I was wrong."

"Well, obviously," said Brian, rolling his eyes. "You actually named it?"

AJ blushed, "Yeah, it squeaks a lot. Thought it suited him, and it doesn't seem like he's going to leave."

Nick watched and listened to the conversation, becoming more awake. He moved over by AJ and the squirrel, "You actually have a pet squirrel?" he asked, staring at the little gray animal.

AJ grinned, "Yep."

Nick grinned, his blue eyes lighting up, "Can I pet it?"

AJ chuckled, "Sure, I don't see why not."

Nick cautiously reached a hand out, the squirrel just sat there staring at him. Nick's hand touched Squeaker and the squirrel didn't do anything, so Nick petted it. Nick smiled and started to play with the animal, Squeaker squeaked and rolled onto his back, playfully kicking at Nick's hand as he tickled his tummy.

Nick laughed, "He's so cute!"

AJ smiled, happy that Nick was smiling and laughing again. It'd been a while since he'd seen the kid happy. Come to think of it, not since this whole deal started. AJ shrugged it off for now and joined Nick in teasing the squirrel, which would jump up and climb up their arms and sit on their shoulders or heads and then jump down again.

The others just shook their heads at their band mates, beginning to get settled again to go to sleep. After a couple of minutes of listening to AJ and Nick giggling, along with squeaks from the squirrel, they'd had enough.

"All right!" yelled Howie, exasperated, "That's enough with the squirrel, go to sleep!"

After mumbled 'fine's from a disappointed Nick and AJ, the group was quiet and soon asleep.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



The old chair made a loud creak as the form using it leaned back, a satisfied smirk on her cold face. She looked at the monitors before her, her gaze switching from the now sleeping BSB, to the whereabouts of each of her hired men. Her ice blue eyes stayed on the image of Jake, who was on the hill just above the BSB. He was watching them closely. She idly wondered if he was getting a little too involved with this scheme. For some reason, Jake had developed an absolute hatred for the young Mr. Carter.

Shrugging her shoulders, she cast the thought aside. What did it matter anyways? She was going to kill them anyway. But... it did matter. She wanted them left alone until they reached the cabin. It was part of the game, Jake better understand that and leave the kid alone... unless he breaks the rules again, that is.

The rules. That reminds me...

She picked up the radio and tuned it to the right frequency, "Jake, you read?"

She watched the image of Jake jump at her sudden voice, she smiled.

Then he answered, "Yeah, boss?"

"I want you to set up the package."

"Now boss?" he whined. Jake was disappointed, he was waiting for one of the boys to break a rule so he could deliver the punishment.

He cringed at the answer, the woman's voice deadly, "Yes, NOW."

"All right, boss. I'm going."

She put the radio down and let her anger fume. Jake had better not forget who is in charge. Turning her angered eyes back to the image of the BSB, she smiled a sick smile. Atleast they were doing a remarkable performance so far, the landslide was bound to happen with traveling at night, but their angered reactions to each other was the icing on the cake. Oh, how she was enjoying this.

She then realized that she should take some time now to sleep, having not done that for the past day and a half. She walked to her bed in another room and laid down. Her demented mind went to sleep with the plans for the next day and the package.




///////Day3\\\



Nick squeezed his eyes and grimaced at the bright, early morning sunlight shining down on him. He opened his eyes a bit, squinting at the sun. Then with a frustrated groan he pushed himself up, leaning on his elbows in a half reclined position. As his eyes adjusted to the brightness he noticed the others have already woken up and were walking around, stretching and working the kinks out of their bodies after sleeping on the hard ground. Brian noticed he had finally woke up and walked over to him.

"Hey, Frack!" he smiled, "Ya finally get yer lazy butt up?"

Nick smiled, "Ha ha, Frick. Why didn't you jus' wake me up?"

"We didn't want to. You needed the rest, Nick." Brian explained, sitting beside Nick.

Nick nodded his head, knowing this was true and was glad they did. He felt pretty good. His headache was almost nonexistent and he felt refreshed, no longer having the feeling that he could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. His side was sore, but not too much of a distraction and his body did ache after the tumble down the hill. Nick looked at Brian.

"How do you feel after last night?" he asked.

Brian grinned, "Like someone stuck me in a washing machine and then a drier, just for good measure. You wouldn't believe how many bruises I have."

An image of Brian tumbling down the hill flashed through Nick's mind. "I think I could," he said sadly.

Brian looked at him, "Yeah, well, we should be going soon. We're just waiting for the say so from Kevin."

Brian, Nick, Howie, and AJ waited... And waited. Finally, Howie walked up to Kevin.

"Hey, Kev! Uhh... don't ya think we should be going?"

Kevin looked at him, "If you think we should. I don't know, don't ask me. Its up to you guys. Whatever you want to do." And with that Kevin turned away, leaving a perplexed Howie staring at his back.

What the hell was that? Kevin always makes the decisions. Not that we can't decide for ourselves, but... Kevin always knows the right thing to do before we do. He would always, like... initiate us to do something. What's the deal? Howie turned back to the others, shrugging his shoulders. "I guess we go now, then."

Brian, Nick, and AJ looked at each other. None of them liked the way Kevin was acting, but they all knew they needed to leave. So, Nick and Brian got up and AJ picked up Squeaker and put him on his shoulder. They all started to follow Howie, Kevin saw them leaving and soon joined them, walking at the end of the line.

Howie nervously looked behind him, seeing all of his friends following HIM. It didn't feel right, no, it wasn't right. Kevin should be up here, not me. Yeah, he made a mistake yesterday. It happens. We all need him to be the one in the lead, we need his leadership and guidance. Nothing else is right. But... Kevin seems to believe that he can't do it anymore, or he WON'T do it... How are we going to convince him that we need him to show us the way?

They didn't get far before they were interrupted by a crackling, then...

"Backstreet Boys!"

Kevin stopped and stared at his pocket, he reached in and took out the radio. He had forgotten all about it. His eyes narrowed as the object of all his problems spoke again.

"Oh, Backstreet Boys!" she repeated in a sing song voice.

The others gathered around Kevin, staring at the radio and then Kevin, their eyes asking whether they should answer or not. Kevin looked back at them with wide eyes, then he gave the radio to Howie. Howie looked at Kevin, realizing that he was to be of no help. Howie hesitantly answered.

"Yes?"

"Why, Howie Dorough! I was expecting Mr. Richardson!" They could hear her laughing, then she continued, "No matter, I have just decided to inform you that you are fulfilling your purpose and entertaining me wonderfully! I also would like to tell you that you have a package waiting for you. Its a large box hidden in a group of rocks on the river bank, its supplies that I believe you need for the rest of the trip. The river is about a half a mile from your currant position. Well, that's all folks! Toodles!" They all heard more laughing and then silence.

"Well, she sure sounded chipper," AJ angrily mumbled.

Howie looked again at Kevin, seeing anger in his eyes. "Well?" Howie asked Kevin. Kevin stared blankly back at him, the anger gone, "Well, what?"

Howie sighed, "Nothing. I guess we go get our package."

The boys made their way through the trees and other obstacles in their path, soon coming to a fast moving river. They stopped on the rocky bank, searching for this so called package.

Brian saw something to their right, it looked like a box. "Hey, guys! I see it, its over there!" he yelled, pointing at the object.

They all went to the object and could see that it was a large box, the package they were supposed to receive.

Howie again looked to Kevin, who had said very little the whole day. He was getting worried, this wasn't like Kevin. Kevin should be guiding us. Its how our friendship works, we rely on him. Maybe, sometimes, too much. But he's our big brother, that's what you expect from big brothers. They help you out with stuff you can't handle. Damnit! We need OUR Kevin back. Its just not right!

"What do you think, Kevin?" he asked, hoping, no... 'praying' Kevin'd say something like he used to.

Kevin shrugged, his gaze switching to the rapid river.

Howie shook his head and sighed, looking at the rest of the guys. Brian and AJ shrugged, they didn't understand it either. Nick looked around, confused by everything. He didn't hear the previous talk with Kevin, he didn't notice Kevin's insistence of walking during the night, he didn't understand the way Kevin was acting. He missed Kevin's reassuring voice, saying its all right and that he could handle it, that he'll help them through it. His silence left Nick feeling insecure, Kevin always helped them out and showed them the right thing to do.

Howie opened the box. There wasn't much in it, but definitely stuff they needed. A first aid kit for one. Howie glanced at Nick, the aspirin would definitely help his headache. The other things of great significance, was a fishing pole and a small cooler which when opened revealed some food. They also found three canteens, a backpack, and a box of matches. Seeing all this made them realize how thirsty and hungry they were. They haven't eaten since just before they were taken from the bus. That was a little over a day and a half ago.

"Well," said Brian, "I think its safe to say that she doesn't want us to die of hunger or thirst. I wonder what awaits us when we reach that cabin?"

"Right now I don't really care!" cried AJ, anxiously looking over the food, "Maybe, by some miracle, there's some McD's food in here!"

They laughed as AJ began to rummage through the food for his miracle. Kevin just shook his head. Lord, AJ and McDonald's! He'd be on his death bed and he'd ask for a McDonald's burger and fries for his last meal! The word 'death' stuck in Kevin's head and caused him to wince. Jeez! I almost killed my friends! Because of something 'I' decided to do. I'll let them make the decisions from now on, just as I have been. They seem to be doing fine, so I was right. They are better off without me here. Kevin then noticed Nick throwing these looks at him, looks that were looking to him, asking for what Kevin used to give him. Security. Kevin mentally shook himself, Nick didn't need him nor did the others. They were doing fine without him.

Just then Howie spoke, "Hey, we should probably save the packaged food and go fishing for some food. This might be all the food she'll give us."

They all nodded, then Nick asked, "So... who's going to fish? There's only one fishing pole."

"I'll do it."

They all turned to Kevin who was reaching into the box for the pole. They hadn't expected him to do it since he was acting... different. Kevin looked at them, "What?"

"Nothing," said Howie, shaking his head. He was so confused by Kevin's behavior.

Kevin picked up the fishing pole and then began to walk to the river. He stopped at Nick's voice, "Hey, Kev! Can I come with ya?"

Kevin stood for a moment and then nodded his head, watching as Nick ran up to him. He then turned back and resumed his walk to the river, Nick at his side. The others watched them go and then filled the canteens, organized the items that were in the box, and put them into the backpack. They then sat on the rocky beach and watched Kevin and Nick in the distance by the edge of the raging river for a little while before turning their attention elsewhere.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Kevin glanced at Nick standing beside him, he had wanted to do this by himself. He wanted to get away from the others to think, his guilt made it difficult to be around them. But when Nick had asked him... he had a ring to his voice that Kevin couldn't say no to. So Kevin chose to ignore Nick beside him and concentrate on catching fish. After a while, Kevin had caught 4 good sized fish. He was glad they were having such good luck, then Nick couldn't stay silent any longer.

"Kev, what's wrong?"

Kevin froze momentarily, then answered, "Wrong? Nothin's wrong."

"Kevin."

The tone of Nick's voice caused Kevin to look at Nick, it was a tone HE used when he wanted an answer now, no beating around the bush allowed. This was something different, the tone was being used on HIM.

"Nick, there's nothing wrong."

"Yeah, right. That's why you're acting like you don't care about anything," said Nick, staring Kevin in the eyes and crossing his arms.

Kevin stuttered, "I- I care..."

"Well, you sure don't act like it," countered Nick, "I don't know what the others seem to know, but you are acting like someone who doesn't care what's happening. Its like you've given up, Kev." Nick's stare turned pleading, "You haven't given up, have you, Kevin?"

That hit Kevin hard, "No, Nick. I haven't given up. We'll beat this and that woman, I swear it... on my life, I swear it."

"Then what is it?!" cried Nick exasperated, unfolding his arms and throwing them out. "Why haven't you done anything? You always know what to do, why aren't you helping us? You are always-... always there to help and you give help even if we don't want it. Now its like your here, but your not here. Kevi-" Nick broke off, his voice beginning to crack. Kevin stared wide-eyed. Nick took a steadying breath and continued, "Kevin, its like you aren't here. You give us-... you give 'me' confidence when you 'are' here. With the way you are now, its like... like... ...God, I can't explain it... Its like- our group is incomplete. You're missing, Kev. Who you are to us as a friend is missing. Why have you changed all of a sudden?"

Kevin was at a loss. He stood there with Nick staring at him with searching blue eyes, wanting the answer. God, when did Nick grow up?

"Nick... I can't, I just can't help the way I used to. All I do is end up hurting you and the others."

Nick's expression turned to shock, "Hurt us? You could never hurt us. What the hell made you think that?"

"Nick, I made the decision to keep walking at night. We couldn't see where we were going and I still made you all walk on. It ended up with you, Brian, and Howie falling down with that landslide. Nick... you could of been killed, all of you could have, because of MY decision. It was all MY fault. I won't make that mistake again. So, I won't dictate what we do. I can't hold the responsibility, you're all better off without me."

"You've got to be kiddin' me!" Nick cried, not believing Kevin could be overtaken with guilt. "Kev, that was an 'accident', nothing more. How do you know if we could of seen the landslide in daylight? I mean, yeah, NOW we know what a landslide is, but we wouldn't know what one looked like if it bit us in the ass. We're not exactly what you call 'wilderness people', Kev."

Kevin had to smile at that. Nick continued, "And as far as being better off without you... Are you nuts?! Kevin, you are our friend. We need you, just like you need us. We are each better because of you and vice versa. Do you understand what I'm sayin'?"

Kevin looked at Nick. I mean 'really' looked at Nick, "Jeez, kid, when'd you get so damn intuitive?"

Nick just smiled, "You didn't answer the question."

Kevin smiled, he couldn't even mislead the kid, "Yeah, I hear ya, Nick," Kevin took a deep breath, going over what Nick had said. "I hear ya," he breathed.

Nick raised an eyebrow, "There's something else."

Kevin looked up into the blue sky, shaking his head. "Yeah," he sighed, then looked Nick in the eyes, "Nick, do you know what made me push the night walk?" Nick shook his head. "I wanted to get at that woman as fast as I could. I wanted to make her pay for what she was puttin' us through." Kevin closed his eyes, ashamed, "I wanted revenge, Nick."

This half surprised Nick, half didn't. He knew how protective Kevin was of them. "I can understand that." Kevin opened his eyes and stared at Nick, doubtful. "Yes, I 'can' understand that. You are very protective of us, Kevin. I mean, we describe you to people as our older brother or a father figure. Brothers and fathers are protective of their family, therefore, so are you."

Kevin slowly nodded his head, what Nick said making sense. Kevin felt the guilt lift away after this talk with Nick. Kevin clapped Nick on the back, "You've really grown up, Nick. I'm proud of ya."

Nick positively beamed, "Thanks, are you back to normal now?"

Kevin laughed, "Yeah, I'll be bossin' you around before you know it."

"I can't believe I'm sayin' this, but... I can't wait," Nick laughed, looking at the river. He noticed that Kevin's line was tangled on a rock. "Hey, Kev. Your line's caught."

Kevin looked and noticed it, "Aw, damn it! This is our only line and hook."

"Hey, don't sweat it. I'll take care of it." Before Kevin could stop him, Nick had made it halfway into the streaming river, hopping from rock to rock. Kevin felt his heart jump to his throat, "Dear God, Nick! What the hell do you think you're doin'?!"

Nick called back while balancing precariously on a water slick rock, "I'll get the line, Kev! We can't afford to lose it!"

Kevin threw the pole on the ground and stepped into the cold river water, planning on grabbing Nick and getting him the hell out of there before he fell. The river tugged at his legs as he waded through it, making his way to Nick. He was almost there when Nick slipped, "Kev!" he cried, falling into the raging river.

"NICK!" Kevin cried, leaping forward and grabbing at Nick's falling form. He felt his fingers close around Nick's wrist and held fast, the river beginning to sweep both of them away. "Nick! I'm going to get you to that rock near shore! Think you can grab it?!" Kevin yelled over the roaring river. Nick nodded, panic in his eyes. "OK! Here we go!"

Kevin swam his hardest to the shore and rock, once close enough, he shoved Nick with all his might to the rock. Nick managed to get a hold of it after slamming into it with a grunt. He turned around for Kevin, but saw the river pulling him away.

"Kev!" Nick cried, reaching for his friend, but the river had already taken him too far away. Nick could only watch helplessly as Kevin was swept away...
Chapter 4 by Refuse
AJ jumped at Kevin's yell. What the hell is it now? Squeaker huddled behind a rock, frightened by the yell. AJ looked to the river, his eyes widened, "Shit!"

AJ jumped to his feet, along with Howie and Brian. They sprinted to the river, watching as Kevin leapt for Nick and then both of them were caught up in the rapids.

Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Oh, shit! This is NOT happening! thought AJ as he ran along parallel to his friends struggling in the river, he leapt over the rocks and logs in his path. He could hear Brian and Howie right behind him.

"Kev! Nick!" yelled AJ, "Hang on!" Oh, please God! Let them hang on...

Brian burst ahead of AJ, he was in an all out run, his eyes never strayed from his friends in the churning water. "Nick! Kev! Please, hang on! We'll get you!"

They watched as Kevin shoved Nick to a large rock near shore, Nick slamming into it but hanging on. Nick reached for Kevin, but the water pulled him away and further down river. Brian turned his head back to AJ and Howie, never breaking his stride, "I got Nick! Get Kevin!"

AJ and Howie nodded, sweeping past Brian as he reached the shore's edge where Nick still clung to the rock, seeing the river still tugging at his body. Brian sucked in a breath as his legs entered the cold water, it soon reaching his mid chest as he waded out to Nick's shivering form, feeling the surging river pulling at him.

Brian placed a hand on Nick's back, his fingers grasping the wet material, "Nick... Nick, c'mon. Let's get out of the river."

"Kev-" came the weak reply to Brian's request. Nick tore his eyes away from the spot Kevin just disappeared from, his pained eyes drilling into Brian's, "I-... Kev-"

Brian bit his lip as Nick's reeling gaze turned back down river. Brian used his free hand to pull Nick's face back to him so he could look into his eyes, "Nick, Kevin will be fine. You understand? He'll be FINE, okay?"

"But-" Nick tried to turn his head back down river, but Brian's hold tightened and Nick was forced to look into his friend's face again.

"No 'buts'. He'll. Be. Fine," Brian punctuated each word, trying to get through to his distressed friend.

Nick prayed that Brian would be right. It was his fault this whole thing happened. Nick closed his eyes, when he opened them he stared at Brian's concerned face. "Okay, Bri'. L- let's get out of the river," Nick finally said, nodding his head.

Brian smiled, "Good. Now, let me get an arm around ya so you don't float away on me, 'kay?"

Nick nodded, beginning to notice the shivers racking his cold body. Brian moved his hand around Nick's waist, getting a good hold, then pulled Nick away from the rock and to the shore. Their water-logged clothes weighed them down as they stumbled out of the river. Brian helped Nick to more level ground and then set his friend down, kneeling beside him. Nick let his gaze stay locked in the direction that Kevin had disappeared, unconsciously wrapping his arms around his shivering frame. He wasn't even aware of his teeth chattering.

"Jeez, Nick. We gotta get you warmed up, you're freezing," said Brian, his hand on Nick's shoulder feeling the shivers and cold skin underneath.

Nick didn't answer Brian, just kept watching for Kevin. Brian sighed, his gaze following Nick's. He was worried for his cousin, but he couldn't get all panicky in front of Nick, he didn't think that Nick could handle it. He silently prayed that Kevin would be all right, wanting what he told Nick to become true. Please, Lord. Please, let him be okay.

Brian turned his attention back to Nick, seeing him still staring down the river, his face seemed so lost. Shaking his head slightly, Brian got to his feet, "Nick... Nick!" Nick's blank blue eyes looked up at him. "Nick, I'm going back upstream for the backpack. There were matches in it, you need to be warmed up. I'll be right back, all right?"

Nick gave a small nod and then switched his gaze back to the river. Brian took a deep breath before turning and heading back upstream.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Kevin struggled to keep his head above water, but the cold water kept churning and pulling him down. It got to a point that he had to take a gulp of air every chance he was above water, because the next second he would be submerged. As he was dragged down once again, he tried to get back to the surface, peddling his arms and legs with all his strength, but all this seemed to do was cause him to become exhausted and nowhere near the surface.

Just when he felt blackness encroach his mind, his lungs practically screaming for air, an eddy pushed him to the surface. When he broke through he gasped in a huge amount of air, then his breathing became short, coughing gasps as he tried to get his wind back.

Kevin was beginning to feel lightheaded, still gasping and coughing, he barely noticed the now calmer waters he floated in. Kevin felt the blackness hovering over him, his eyes half hooded. Kevin had a fleeting thought of his friends, then his eyes fell closed and he succumbed to the blackness and sank under the calm water.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Howie and AJ desperately ran after Kevin's swift path, trying to get ahead of him so they could stop his plight, but the river was too fast. They could barely keep up with him. Howie noticed how Kevin surfaced fewer and fewer times, then he disappeared. Oh, God... No...

"AJ, where is he?" Howie asked AJ running beside him.

AJ shook his head, "I don't know, he went under and hasn't come back up."

Howie stopped, turning to the river and cupping his hands to his face, "Kevin!" He waited. "Kevin!"

AJ grabbed his arm, "D'! Look!" AJ pointed downstream at the calmer water, Howie could see a dark green shirt, then it disappeared under water.

"Kev!" Howie yelled, he and AJ running to the spot they had seen their friend. They both made to go in after Kevin, but AJ stopped Howie with a restraining hand on his arm.

"Wait here, Howie. One of us ought to stay dry," said AJ, now moving quickly into the river after Kevin. He waded to where he had last seen Kev and searched the water with his eyes and hands. He gasped when his hand made contact with something soft. AJ grabbed a hold of Kevin's shirt and hauled him above water, his body hanging limp in his arms.

Dread filled Howie's eyes at the sight of Kevin's limp form dangling in AJ's arms as AJ brought him back to shore. It looked like Kevin was dead.

"Oh, God AJ... he's not-... not..." Howie couldn't finish.

"No, Howie, he's breathin'," informed AJ, struggling with Kevin's dead weight, "Give me a hand, will ya?"

Howie nodded and took Kevin's upper weight as AJ took Kevin's legs. They carried him to land that was level and smooth, away from the rocky shore. They carefully laid him down and tried to make him comfortable.

Howie leaned over Kevin's face, "Kev?" he glanced at AJ and then back to Kevin, "Hey, Kev, come on... come back to us."

Howie gently slapped Kevin's face, trying to wake him up.

"What happened?" asked AJ, "Why's he unconscious?"

Howie looked at him, "I don't know. Maybe the lack of air, we're lucky he didn't inhale any water."

AJ solemnly nodded, he knew what that would of meant. Suddenly, Kevin started to weakly cough. "Kev?" asked AJ, laying a hand on Kevin's chest. No answer, but the coughing became louder, soon causing Kevin's form to turn on his side and curl up.

Howie patted his back, "Kev? You with us?"

More coughing, then a strained, "Yeah."

AJ and Howie slumped, "Thank God, are you okay?" asked AJ.

"Yeah," coughing, "I think so."

Kevin sat up, then he wrapped his arms around himself as shivers racked his body. "I'm cold," he managed through chattering teeth.

"Yeah, me too," smiled AJ, trying to lighten the mood, "Let's get you back to Brian and Nick, then we can get warmed up. You think you can make it back?"

Kevin mutely nodded, too tired to fully comprehend all of what AJ just said. Then one of the jumbled words AJ said caused him to gasp and look around wildly.

"Whoa!" cried Howie, placing a hand on Kev's shoulder, "What's wrong, Kev?"

Kevin's eyes shot to Howie, the fear in them causing Howie to lean back, "Nick!" Kevin gasped, "Where's Nick? Is he okay?"

"Whoa there, Kev," said AJ calmly, "The kid's fine, he's back upstream. You saved him, Kev. He's all right, 'kay?"

Kevin stared at AJ, as if he were slowly processing the words AJ just spoke. Finally, Kevin's features relaxed and he nodded his head.

AJ glanced at Howie, "OK, let's get you up and going."

With that, AJ and Howie each took an arm and hauled Kev to his feet. Kevin could hold some of his weight, but needed the support of his friends to walk.

"Ok, let's go," grunted Howie. Then the trio made their way slowly back to where they had left Nick and Brian.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick sat shivering, his eyes never straying from the last point that he had seen Kevin. All that mattered at the moment was Kevin coming back safe, alive. Nick didn't acknowledge Brian's absence or his shivering form, just the image of Kevin being swept away from his reach kept replaying over and over in his mind's eye. First Howie and Brian, now Kevin... Nick's unblinking eyes kept staring, a solitary tear falling from his eye and slowly sliding down his face, camouflaged by the water dripping from his hair. Nick began to rock back and forth slightly, Why did this have to happen to us? What did we ever do to deserve this?... Why-... Why's this happening to us? Nick ran his hands through his cold, wet hair, causing it to now be slicked back except for some rebel strands falling over his forehead. He clasped his hands behind his neck, his elbows resting on his knees. God... I don't know how much more of this I can take...

Nick abruptly got himself back under control when the sound of footsteps penetrated his thoughts. Nick turned away from the river and saw Brian walking up to him with the backpack. Nick smiled at seeing Squeaker, he was perched on top of Brian's head. A light laugh escaped him at the annoyed expression on Brian's face.

Brian looked up as far as he could, trying to glare at the squirrel on his head. "Pah-too-ey!" he sputtered when the fuzzy tail fell across his mouth. Brian heard someone laughing and looked to see Nick smiling at him. Brian smiled back, glad to see Nick smiling and laughing, even if it was at his own expense.

Brian kneeled beside Nick, glad when Squeaker jumped off of his head and onto the ground. Still smiling, Nick reached out a shaking hand and pet the small animal.

Brian shook his head at the squirrel, "The thing insisted on taking this little trip sitting on my head. I tried to take him off, but he grabbed onto my hair and I preferred keeping it intact."

Brian watched Nick's smiling eyes as they turned to him, knowing Nick was about to remark on the subject when another sound came to them. Nick's head snapped around to see AJ and Howie coming towards them with Kevin supported between them. Nick's eyes widened, then they fell to the ground before him.

Brian's smile fell along with Nick's, Brian watching the humor and slight amusement die away from Nick's face. Nick now held a blank expression, his eyes refusing to rest upon what he had been waiting for these last moments. Brian looked up to see what had caused the sudden change, he jumped to his feet, "Kev!"

Brian ran to Howie, AJ, and Kevin, taking an arm away from AJ, who then went over to check on Nick. Brian looked into his cousin's downcast face, "Hey, Kev, you doin' okay?"

"Tired... cold," Kevin whispered through chattering teeth.

"All right, big guy. Don't you worry, we'll get you warmed up," assured Brian as he and Howie reached Nick and AJ, lowering their shivering burden to the sandy ground. Kevin leaned back, eyes closed.

Nick forced himself to look at his older friend, grimacing. His gaze changed to look at Brian, who was digging through the backpack, "Is he okay?"

"I think so," said Brian, glancing up from his search, "He seems to just be tired and cold, I think he'll be fine after some rest and once we get this fire goin'... Aha!" Brian pulled the box of matches from the bag triumphantly, "Now, let's get this fire started, shall we? AJ, why don't you and Howie go find some tinder and branches."

Howie and AJ nodded, AJ scooping up Squeaker, and turned to the forest behind them, but paused at Brian's shout, "Wait! Howie, your clothes are dry?" Howie nodded. "Okay, you wanna take your shirts off and bring 'em here? Kev and Nick can't sit here in wet clothes."

Howie walked over and gave Brian his long-sleeved white shirt and his black t-shirt, he then returned to join AJ in finding some suitable tinder.

"Yo, 'D! Look at you, strutting around half naked. What would yer mother say?!" greeted AJ, smirking at Howie, making fun of the situation being the only way he could keep his mind from dwelling on the bruises that dotted Howie's chest, arms, and back. Howie just shook his head and walked past AJ. "Oh, you stud muffin!" AJ continued, smiling as he quickly caught up to Howie, "No wonder girls faint at your feet! Why you're..."

AJ's mocking voice faded as he and Howie moved farther away from Brian, who was smiling at AJ's antics and shaking his head. He turned to his shivering friends, "Okay, lets get those wet shirts off, we'll let you keep yer pants, don't worry," Brian said quickly at Nick's wary look, "I won't totally embarrass ya, bud. Besides, if we took yer pants, you'd have to wear ours and I don't think any of ours would fit ya. Now, take yer shirt off and put this on." Brian handed Nick the white long-sleeved shirt, "I'll take care of Kevvy, here."

Nick just mutely nodded his head, taking the shirt after stripping his wet navy one off. As Nick was trying to straighten the shirt out, it being turned inside out after Howie took it off, Brian pulled Kevin's wet shirt off and replaced it with the dry, black one of Howie's. Brian frowned at Kevin's sluggish movements as he tried to assist him in the exchange, it showing Brian how exhausted Kev was. Looking back at Nick, he saw him having some trouble with the tangled shirt, "Here, Frack, let me help ya." Brian took the shirt and straightened it, but as he handed it back to Nick he stopped. Brian stared at Nick, "Nick, what's that?"

Nick's pale face twisted in confusion, "Huh? What's what?"

Brian pointed toward the vicinity of Nick's bare shoulder, "That."

Nick looked down and his eyes widened, he'd forgotten about that. "It's nothin'," he stated quickly, grabbing the shirt from Brian's frozen hand and hastily putting it on.

Brian's eyebrows raised, the scattered bruises and scrape to the side he expected, but the wound on Nick's collar bone was something new. Nick wasn't telling him something, "Nothing? Nick, that don't look like nothing. Where'd it come from?"

Nick paused momentarily in buttoning the shirt, "Uh... It came from that fall down the hill, the landslide."

Brian's brow creased, "Howie didn't say anything about it, and it looks... well, different than when you get scratched by a branch or rock." Brian gazed at his best friend, unconvinced, "Nick... where did it come from?"

Nick finished buttoning the shirt and looked around nervously, anywhere but at Brian. He was desperately trying to think of a reason, any reason but the truth. He didn't want them to know about Jake and get all worried about him; after all, he had caused that little ordeal himself. He shouldn't of left the others.

"Nick-" Brian started, but was interrupted by AJ.

"Hey! We're back!" he yelled, walking towards them with an armful of branches and Squeaker running at his feet, Howie followed close behind. "How you guys doin'?"

Nick took advantage of the distraction, "Better, this dry shirt helps a lot. Thanks, 'D."

"Hey, no prob," Howie replied as Nick hugged the dry, warm material closer. "What about Kev?"

After a long look at Nick that said 'this is not over', Brian looked over to his cousin, "Ah, the big lug's fast asleep. That river ride plum tuckered him out." Brian talked with a lightness in his voice, trying to make what happened seem like a dip in the pool instead of the reality that they almost lost Kevin and Nick to the raging river. Brian was trying desperately to distance himself from the seriousness of the resent event, he knew he wouldn't be able to handle it. This was hitting him pretty hard. With a slight shake of his head, Brian addressed the others, "C'mon, lets get this fire started and dry off."

AJ and Howie dropped the tinder at Brian's side, kneeling beside him as he began the construction of the fire. AJ shivered as a cold breeze hit his damp clothes, he looked up at the setting sun, "I guess we're stuck here for the night," he sighed, looking at his friends while absently petting Squeaker. "Hey, Bri, your pretty good at that."

Brian had just finished the small tinder pile and was striking the match at AJ's comment, "Yeah, well," he said, blowing on the small flame to make it grow, "I learned it when I was in 4-H. We'd have camp outs and have to make our own camp fires and stuff. It was a lot of fun." Brian smiled at the memory, then his smile fell, "Never thought I'd have to use it like this, though."

AJ and Howie nodded, also wishing that this had never happened, "Yeah, I hear ya, Bri'," agreed AJ. He turned to Nick, "C'mon, Kaos, get over by the fire before you end up getting sick."

Nick silently scooted closer to the now good sized fire, he sighed at the warmth he felt through his damp pants, feeling his numb skin begin to tingle. Brian and Howie moved to Kevin's slumbering form, waking him and pulling him close to the fire also. For his part, Kevin merely blinked groggily up at them, then closed his eyes in a sigh when the heat hit his shivering form. He was soon asleep once more.

Howie chuckled, "Well, I'd say Kev's out for the count."

Nick absently rubbed his hands over his arms, trying to hurry the warmth into his body. His gaze traveled to Kevin's form. He couldn't help feeling that this was all his fault, he looked to the graying sky above and sighed. A frown turned his mouth as he silently berated himself.

Brian studied Nick intently, watching the display of emotions filtering across his face. Brian squinted, trying to figure out what was going on with Nick. He thought about what just happened, finding the new injury. Why didn't Nick say something about it? When did it happen? Brian could see it wasn't a serious injury, but something about it bothered him. It was distorted by the dried blood, but he could make out a thin, red line... like a cut. Brian's eyes narrowed. How would Nick get cut? When?

AJ's voice brought both Nick and Brian out of their thoughts, "Hey, I'm hungry. Think we can have some of that food now?" he asked, placing a hand on his growling stomach.

Brian remembered he was quite hungry too, "Yeah, I s'pose. We better not take too much though." Brian reached into the backpack, bringing out a box of crackers and a box of cookies. "They sure didn't give us what ya call 'healthy' food, now did they. Well, lets work on the crackers and cookies for now, the other stuff we'll save."

AJ greedily grabbed the boxes, opening them and stuffing a handful of crackers in his mouth, he paused at the sound of someone clearing their throat. Looking up he sees Howie and Brian with looks of contempt gracing their features and arms crossed. He swore that if they would of been standing, their feet would be tapping away. AJ slowly swallowed, then carefully set the boxes down. He looked up at his friends apologetically, "Oops, sorry. Don't know what came over me..." He was met with doubtful gazes, "Hey, I was HUNGRY! Can ya blame a guy?"

Brian and Howie kept their faces straight, but they soon broke out in smiles. Howie shook his head, "Yeah, yeah, AJ. Just remember this has to last a while, 'kay?"

AJ nodded and grabbed another handful of crackers, but took his time eating. Soon, they all sat around their fire eating cookies and crackers, having the water in the canteens to drink. AJ snuck a couple for Squeaker, the little squirrel liked this, eagerly scarfing the treat down. When Squeaker was finished, he curled up near the warm fire and went to sleep.

Nick sat staring into the fire, now wearing his dry navy shirt and absently eating a cookie, he was kinda glad that they didn't have food until now, before he didn't think he would of been able to keep it down. Right now, the effects of the concussion had left, except for a dull headache, but that was nothing compared to before.

As the night fell, so did the temperature. They were glad they had the fire, this night was chilly for some reason, a breeze constantly present. Brian had eaten his fill of food and was leaning against a rock, gazing up into the night sky. He again noticed how bright it was, he could see the landscape around him pretty well, there wasn't a cloud in the sky to obstruct the sun this night. Brian frowned. Why is it still so bright? What place has very bright nights, where the sun doesn't even seem to set completely? Brian's brow furrowed, he knew. He just couldn't grasp it, it was in his mind but he couldn't access it. Brian dwelled on this for some time. He didn't even notice when Kevin began to wake up.

Kevin sleepily blinked his eyes, trying to remember what happened. He squinted, trying to access the memories. He could here AJ and Howie softly arguing, but he didn't hear Brian or Nick. Nick! Kevin sat up quickly, his worn out body protesting. Kevin didn't care, he scanned the area for Nick. He audibly released his breath when he found Nick sitting close beside him, cross-legged and staring into the fire. Satisfied with what he saw, he looked for the others. He saw AJ and Howie sitting across from him, on the other side of the fire and they seemed to be fighting about the squirrel sitting between them. Kevin's face turned slightly confused at seeing Howie in only his white shirt, but looking down he found he wore Howie's black t-shirt. Shrugging, he next found Brian, simply gazing up into the sky. He seemed to be concentrating on something, "Bri?" Kevin whispered hoarsely.

Brian's eyes snapped to Kevin, "Hey, Kev! Ya finally woke up, huh?" Brian got up and walked to Kevin, grabbing the box of crackers and a canteen along the way. "Here," he said, kneeling beside his cousin, "have some water."

Kevin grasped the canteen weakly, taking a long drink. The cool water helped his dry throat, "Thanks," he nodded, handing it back to Brian who then gave him a handful of crackers.

"You better eat somethin', we already did," Brian said at Kevin's questioning look. "So, how are ya feelin'?"

Kevin thought for a minute, eating a cracker, "Not too bad, considering. I used to be really cold, but now I'm pretty good. I feel like I just ran a marathon, though." Kevin changed his position and grimaced, "All of my muscles ache."

Brian nodded, "Yeah, the river pretty much wiped you out. It being so cold and you tryin' to swim, you're just plain tired out, Kev."

Kevin just nodded, agreeing.

Nick had listened to the conversation, pretending he wasn't. He just continued to stare into the dancing flames, looking lost in his thoughts when really, he was listening intently. He couldn't contain the sigh of relief when Kevin said he was all right. Nick was afraid that Kev was really hurt. The image of Kevin pushing him to the rock flashed in front of him. Nick blinked. Kevin did that knowing he would be swept away, Nick had seen it in his eyes when he turned and reached out for him. That look, the look in those green eyes, it would be forever seared into his brain.

Kevin switched his gaze from Brian to Nick, "Hey, Nick. You okay?"

Nick jumped, quickly looking at him, "Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

Kevin looked into Nick's eyes, he saw something all too familiar, "Nick, it wasn't your fault."

Brian stared from Kev to Nick, so that is what was bothering him.

"Kev, if I hadn't of went out into the river-"

"Nick," Kevin interrupted, "It wasn't your fault. You can say all the 'ifs' you want, it still won't be your fault. Nothing that happens during this 'game'," Kevin spat the word out, "is any of our faults. The blame lies on only one person, that insane woman that started all this. You reminded me of that, Nick."

Nick stared at Kevin, then the ground before him. He had heard Kev's words and he knew that Kevin was right, but... he still felt somewhat responsible. "Kev, I believe you, but... its still hard."

Kevin sat up and scooted over by Nick, throwing an arm over his shoulders, "Yeah, I know, kid. But don't worry, we'll win this."

The determination in Kevin's voice caused Nick to sit up straighter. If Kevin believed that, then so would he. Nick smiled, "We'll kick her butt!"

Kevin laughed, glancing at Brian who was also laughing, "Yeah, all the way to the moon!"

Brian smirked, "Heck, Nick. With you on our team we can't lose, we all know how you refuse to lose." Brian chuckled, a memory pricked, "Hey, remember on the 'Rosie O'Donnel Show'? When we played that game against those fans? We were getting our butts kicked and the look on Nick's face..." Brian laughed, "You looked so dejected."

Nick faked a pout, "Hey, they were cheating! Howie said so!"

"I did not!" Shouted Howie from across the fire, he and AJ moving to join their friends, "I was joking when I said that. Man, Rosie almost bit my head off!"

AJ laughed, "Yeah, she set you straight. And what about the mysterious 'Funky Chickens' phenomenon?" AJ smirked, looking at Nick.

Nick blushed, "How was I supposed to remember that? I think I blocked it out, too embarrassing. I don't know what I was thinking, I mean, 'The Funky Chickens'?!"

Kevin's eyes danced in laughter, "You gotta admit Nick, that was priceless!"

"Yeah," agreed Howie, smiling, "What else are you hiding, Nicky?"

Nick quickly diverted attention, "Hey, what about Brian?! He switched sides!"

Brian just held himself up straighter and smirked, "Well, you gotta go with the flow. And the flow was with the winning team. They didn't seem to mind."

"Obviously!" cried Nick. They all shared a good laugh, something they needed to lift their spirits back up.

Wiping tears from his eyes, Kevin looked around after a thought hit him. "Hey, what happened to those fish that I caught?"

Nick's face brightened, "They're probably still on shore, I'll go get them. We could have them for breakfast."

Howie made a face, "Nick! Fish for breakfast?!"

Nick just smiled and shrugged, "Why not?"

The others stared at each other. "Well, it'd certainly be something different," said Kevin, "And they probably won't keep for very long, so we should eat them as soon as possible. We've already eaten tonight, so I guess its gonna be breakfast."

Howie and AJ groaned while Nick and Brian just grinned. "See," smiled Nick, "I told ya. I'll be right back, then."

Still smiling, Nick made his way back to the shore. He stopped at the very spot where it all started, he shivered. Turning his mind off from the disturbing memories, he stooped down and began to pick up the four dead fish. Yelch! With a scowl, Nick picked the last one up and was straitening up when a sound caused him to pause, frozen.

Nick didn't dare move, stuck in a hunched over position. He tried to keep his breathing steady, taking deep calming breaths. Its okay, its okay, its okay... Nick heard the sound again, fearful of the identity of the sound, he furtively glanced behind him. Oh, God! Its not okay! Oh, definitely NOT okay! Nick looked up to the heavens and then closed his eyes, God, why does this always happen to me?

The sound came again, closer this time. Nick began to tremble, the low roar sound making his legs weak. He gazed longingly toward his friends in the distance. Guys! Hello?! A little help here? Your adorable baby brother needs some assistance! Nick's fear filled eyes flicked to the monstrosity behind him, it taking slow measured steps toward him. GUYS! Need... Help... NOW!

Nick didn't dare say these things out loud, though. He didn't want to anger or provoke the decidedly menacing and very LARGE 'bear' behind him. What do I do? Nick jumped as the bear roared again, even closer. Oh, jeez! What the hell do I do?!

"Hey, NICK! What's takin' so long?!"

The bear froze, its massive head jerking from Nick to his friends and then back again. It seemed to be confused.

"Yo! NICKY!"

The bear roared, Nick cringed. Then it reared up on its hind legs, throwing its head up as it roared again. Its wild eyes drilled into Nick. Oh, shut up, AJ! Please, God! AJ, SHUT UP!

Nick felt his body begin to cramp, not liking the position Nick decided to stay in. Nick stared at the bear over his shoulder, he watched as the wild eyes changed. Oh, God... this is it.

Just as the bear dropped to all fours and began toward Nick, Nick spun around, dropping the fish. Nick backpedalled, stumbling over the rocky ground and crashing to the rough terrain. Nick knew it didn't matter if he spoke now as he desperately scrambled back from the menacing and very angry bear closing in on him.

With everything he had in him, Nick screamed, "GUYS!"

Then the bear lunged...
Chapter 5 by Refuse
AJ froze in mid yell when Nick screamed for them, his eyes darting to the river to see the dusky image of Nick falling to the ground and something large lunging after him. A roar filled the air and AJ's heart stopped, only vaguely noticing when Squeaker awoke with a squeak and quickly ran behind a rock. AJ's breath caught at the realization of what he had seen lunge at his young friend.

"Bear!" he yelled to the others, scrambling to his feet. "It's a God-damned bear!"

The others, who had not yet recovered from Nick's yell, all jumped to their feet.

Brian grabbed AJ's arm, his blue eyes wide with panic, "What?!"

AJ broke into a run, dragging Brian with him, "A bear! Nick's being attacked by a bear!"

Brian felt his breath shorten, turning into panicked gasps. He tried to calm himself, to relax his breathing as he stumbled behind AJ, but it was kinda hard when your best friend was being mauled by a wild animal.

"Ahhh!" Nick threw his arms out against the large beast, trying to keep the tooth filled mouth away from his face. He gritted his teeth, his arms shaking from exertion as the bear tried to force Nick's restraint down. His face twisted into a grimace as the fetid breath wafted over him, saliva dripping from the bear's mouth as it roared, obviously angered by Nick's resistance. Nick didn't care, he wanted to live.

Nick dimly heard his friends' panicked calls, the fear clouding his senses. What could they do? Nick knew the answer. Absolutely nothing. Oh, God. I SO don't want to die... especially like this. A grunt escaped his clenched teeth as the bear's face slowly inched closer, Nick's arms beginning to give out.

"No!" Nick choked out, finding reserve strength and pushing the bear's face back the few inches it had gained. The bear snarled, shaking its head. Nick's fingers tightened their hold in the dark fur of the bear's neck, not letting the bear shake his grip loose. He felt the bear's weight shift, a heavy clawed foot slammed down on his left shoulder. The bear now tried to pull away from Nick, twisting his head to try and loosen his grip. Nick held on, if he let go the bear would just go after him again. Either that or it would go after the guys.

AJ, Howie, Kevin, and Brian all ran to the scene of their struggling friend. Brian stopped along side AJ at the sight that greeted them, "Nick!" Brian's voice strangled out. He looked frantically about, searching for any kind of weapon. All he found was rocks. Fine, then that's what it's gonna be.

Brian grabbed a handful of the sharp rocks and started to hurl them at the bear attacking his friend. The others saw this and followed suit. Soon, a barrage of rocks were pelting the bear, but it didn't veer from its victim. The bear simply ignored them.

Nick's breathing had long since turned into pants of fear and the just plain need for oxygen. The bear glared down at Nick with hate filled eyes, causing Nick to flinch but not let go. Then the bear suddenly jerked its head up and looked to the side. Nick spared a glance and gasped. There stood his friends no further than a few feet away, throwing... rocks? at the bear. Nick's fear dimmed senses vaguely heard the thumps of the rocks hitting their target, Guys! Please, just get out of here while you can! Please... The bear turned back to Nick, seeming unfazed to the assault that Nick's friends continued. Again, the bear pushed its head towards Nick, again stopped by Nick's shear will to live. The bear roared and snapped its teeth, it tried another tactic.

"Ahhh! God, damn it!" Nick cried out, his face twisting in pain as the bear's clawed foot pawed at his left shoulder, hearing his shirt tear and feeling the claws rip into his skin. Nick felt his whole left arm begin to give out, weakened by the damage. The bear closed in. Nick blinked, Oh, God. This is it...

Nick stared into the bear's face as it came closer, feeling the hot breath against his skin. Nick shook his head violently, "Nooo!" He yelled, feeling his resistance give out.

Brian whipped around to face Kevin, frantic, "Kev! What the hell do we do?!"

Kevin continued to throw rocks at the bear, "I don't know!" He bit out, helplessness taking control and anger twisting his features.

Brian's face hardened in a decision, his voice came out low and his southern accent was more pronounced, "Fine, I'm gonna do somethin'."

Brian made to lunge at the bear, but arms wrapped around his chest, stopping him. "Brian, no!" yelled Howie, digging his feet into the ground and tightening his hold to stop Brian as he continued to try and go after the bear. "What do ya think yer doin'?!"

Brian pulled against Howie's restraining hold, "I gotta help Nick! Let me GO!"

"Brian!" said AJ, quickly joining Howie in holding Brian back, "This won't help him! You'll jus' get yerself killed instead!"

Brian glared back at them, "I don't care! I won't let this happen!" Brian broke from their grasps and started toward the bear, when a loud crack suddenly rang out, stopping him as he saw the bear pause and roar. Was that what I think it was?

Nick had jumped as the loud crack echoed through the night and he felt the large animal looming over him give a jolt, eliciting a pain filled roar and tossing its head around, searching. Another crack echoed and Nick saw a small amount of sand and rock explode from the ground beside his head. He squinted as the dust and rock shards hit the side of his face, causing it to sting. Nick's eyes widened as he realized what the sound was, Who the hell is shooting at me?

Another shot rang out and Nick felt the bear tear out of his hands and jump to the side with a roar of pain, favoring its left foreleg. Nick watched as the fur darkened, the bear had been hit twice in the leg. The bear snarled and Nick cowered back when it made a move back in his direction, then another shot broke through the night, closer this time, shooting sand and rock up at the bear's feet. It jumped back and roared with its head turned behind him, glaring into the dark trees. Nick stared as a figure formed from the shadows and emerged into the dusky, gray light. It was a man, that much Nick could tell.

Nick glanced at the guys, seeing them in the same place as before. The bear was still close beside Nick and they didn't want to provoke the now wounded animal. The man was walking slowly toward Nick and the bear, a rifle pointed at the angered animal. Once he was closer, he shot at the ground before the bear again. The bear jumped back and then spun around and disappeared into the forest. The man lowered the rifle and watched it go, then he turned to Nick who was staring up from the ground with wide eyes, one hand clamped tightly to his bleeding shoulder.

Nick stared into a face with light brown eyes that demoted the roughness about the man, he seemed to be in his early fifties and was lightly tanned. The man had soft chestnut hair that fell over his forehead, giving him the essence of being younger than what he actually was. Nick had a feeling he was friend, not foe. Yeah, he just scared the bear off, but you never knew. But... Nick decided that the man could be trusted. Maybe he could help them get out of this hell. Nick snapped out of his trance at his friends' voices.

"Nick!" Brian dropped down at Nick's side, his eyes roving over him, not believing his friend was still alive. "You okay?" Brian knew that was a stupid question, but he didn't know what else to say.

Nick tore his eyes away from the strange man, "Bri," he sighed, "I was just attacked by a bear. Do I 'look' okay?" The pain caused Nick's voice to come out harsher than he wanted. He looked quickly at Brian and saw the flash of hurt, "Hey, I'm sorry Brian. I didn't mean it the way it sounded." Nick squeezed his eyes shut with a wince when pain shot though his shoulder.

"Hey, no problem, bud," Brian replied quickly, seeing the pain cross Nick's face. He turned to the others around him, his eyes gazed pleadingly at Kevin, "Kev, do something. He's in pain."

Kevin kneeled beside Brian and gently took Nick's hand away from his bleeding shoulder, Nick hissed and pulled away. "Its okay, Nick," Kevin soothed, studying the four bleeding, ragged lines. He turned to AJ, "Go get that first aid kit, hurry." AJ nodded and sprinted back to their camp for the needed item.

Brian then noticed the man still standing beside them, he looked up and leaned back slightly. He raised an eyebrow suspiciously, looking the man up and down, "Who the hell are you?"

"Brian!" admonished Kevin, "He just saved Nick's life, show some respect!"

Brian still eyed the man, not totally sure. The man just broke into a smile and spoke, "It's all right. My name is Mick Thomas. I live about a half mile up that-a-way," he said, throwing a thumb to the forest. "I was out hunting when I came upon you," he continued, nodding at Nick. He looked around and noticed the dead fish. "I take it you were retrieving these?" he asked Nick while squatting down and picking one of the dead fish up, Nick nodded. "Well, that would be the problem. Ya see, that bear prob'ly found the scent of these dead fish. He followed it and came up on you takin' them away," he paused, looking at Nick. "He saw you as a threat."

Nick's jaw dropped, "Me?! How could 'I' be a threat?"

Mick shrugged, "You were takin' his food, this is also prob'ly his territory."

Nick just shook his head, then winced when Kevin pulled some of his torn shirt away from his wound. Nick glared at Kevin, who just shrugged apologetically. AJ returned with the first aid kit, "Here ya go, Kev."

Kevin nodded and silently took the kit, opening it. He took out a bottle of alcohol and a roll of gauze and bandages. Howie watched and sighed when it was obvious that no one was going to make introductions.

"Hey," said Howie, stepping forward and offering his hand to Mick who took it, "My name's Howie Dorough." He supplied, shaking the man's hand. Howie then proceeded to introduce his friends, "The guy you saved, and I can't thank you enough," Mick nodded, "is Nick Carter. That's Brian Littrell and that's Kevin Richardson. Oh, and the weird lookin' one is AJ McLean," Howie finished, smirking, "AJ, this is Mick Thomas."

AJ glared at Howie, he then smiled as he reached into his pocket and snatched out a half asleep Squeaker, "And this is Squeaker." Mick laughed, shaking his head. Squeaker just twisted out of AJ's grasp and climbed back into his pocket, going back to sleep.

"Glad to meet ya," Mick smiled, then his brows came together in confusion. "What are a bunch of young guys like you doin' out here?"

They all glanced at each other nervously, not sure if they should tell Mick. Kevin made the decision. "Well,... uh... we-uh..." clears throat "We are kinda a famous music group and... well, some maniac woman kidnapped us and stuck us out here. We've been here for three days now. She wants us to go to some stupid cabin." Kevin shook his head, "She's really nuts."

Mick stared in shock, "Really? I mean, for real? Do you guys even know where you are?"

They looked at each other, Kevin was about to say no when Brian spoke up.

"Alaska!"

They all looked at him in surprise. He shrugged, it just came to him. Mick slowly nodded, "Yeah, that's right. Look, you guys, that lady sounds like bad news. Why don't I go back to my place and radio for the cops?"

"You'd do that?" Mick nodded. "Yeah, go ahead," smiled Kevin, thinking maybe this all could be over.

"Okay," smiled Mick, turning to leave. "You guys be careful and I'll be back in a coupla hours."

Brian watched Mick's retreating form, "Mick!" he shouted, jogging up to him. Mick stopped, "Yeah?"

Brian looked back at his friends, then at Mick, "Thanks," he breathed, "thanks a lot."

Mick smiled, "Hey, no problem. Glad to help."

Brian grabbed his arm, "I mean it, if you hadn'a come along..." Brian trailed off.

Mick nodded his head, then said sincerely, "You're welcome." Then he walked off into the night.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Damn, damn, damn, damn, DAMN! That was getting SO good! The pissed off woman ranted around the small room. That Carter kid was so close to getting torn apart limb by limb... then that damned man showed up! Where the hell did he come from? He said he lived out here. Hmmm... I thought I had this area pretty well scouted out. Well, obviously not! She argued with herself.

He is going to call the cops... The frown on her face slowly turned up into a demonic smile. Oh, she thought to the man, Mick, was it? Well, you should of kept to your own business. It would of let you live longer.

She roughly grasped the radio, carelessly tuning to Jake's frequency. "Jake," she said, her voice a monotone, "you read?"

Crackling static, then, "Yeah, boss?"

The woman sat lazily down in her wooden chair, her face taking on a carefree expression as she absently twisted the radio cord between her fingers, "Hey, Jake-ey!" she sing-songed, "Do you want to have some fun?"

A pause, then, "What do ya have in mind, boss?"

"Oh," she sighed, "Well, there's this guy. He helped our targets, right now he's on his way back to his home to call the cops. What do ya think I have in mind, Jake?"

"You want me to take care of him?" the evil grin was heard in Jake's voice.

"Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!" the woman sarcastically exclaimed. She then sat up in the chair, leaning forward, "Jake, you take care of him, but I don't want you takin' your time, I want it quick. No mess."

"Aw, boss," Jake whined, "What's the fun in just shootin' him?"

"Just do as you're told," she replied icily, "Got it?"

Silence, then a sullen, "Yeah, I got it."

"Good," she smiled, "I'll be watching, so don't screw it up!"



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Mick Thomas walked through the dense forest, going over the recent situation in his mind. How could someone do this to those nice boys? Mick could see in each of their faces a sense of fear, anger, confusion, and helplessness. What this woman is doing is tearing them up inside... and outside.

Mick ducked under a low branch, nearing his cabin. He wondered how he could have missed this woman as she invaded his home. His home, his whole life is the wilderness around him, having lost his family of a wife and two young daughter's many years ago. All he had was the nature around him.

Mick stopped at the sound of a snapping twig behind him, he slowly turned around. Before him was a man in camouflage pointing a gun at him. The strange man with the scar gestured with the gun for Mick to drop the rifle. With a sigh, Mick complied, knowing he had no choice. Mick felt an overwhelming sense of dread befall him. He was going to die, he knew it. He could see it in the man's evil eyes.

"You should of minded yer own business," the man sneered, "then none of this woulda happened."

"I don't regret what I did," Mick replied, standing up straighter, "I would do it all again if I had to, they needed help. I could give it."

The man scoffed, "Well, a lot a good it does ya. You just delayed the inevitable, they will all die, eventually."

"Well," Mick smiled, not deterred, "I believe I gave them some hope. Hope can be the one strength to get you through anything."

The man laughed, shaking his head, "You jus' don't quit, do ya? Say whatever you want to say, old man. For it will be the last out of your mouth." Jake cocked the gun, taking careful aim.

Mick closed his eyes and sent a silent apology to those young men, sorry he couldn't help them more. Then he smiled, it will be nice to see his family again. Opening his eyes, Mick stared into Jake's evil, sneering black eyes. Jake was taken slightly aback at the complete faith and fearlessness emanating from the man before him. He shook it off and shrugged, then pulled the trigger.

The shot echoed through the night, continuing on even after Mick's lifeless body collapsed to the ground. With a smile, Jake turned and walked away.


~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick was trying real hard to not pass out. He laid on the ground near the fire with his ripped shirt lying beside him, he stayed still with eyes closed as Kevin used an alcohol soaked handful of gauze to clean his shoulder. Needless to say, it kinda hurt. Nick's jaw was beginning to ache, his teeth clenched tightly together. He took measured breaths, trying to stay calm.

Kevin kept darting concerned glances at Nick's face as he cleaned the wound. He could see the pain he was causing Nick, but he knew it had to be done. The wound could get infected otherwise, causing Nick to have a fever. That was definitely not what they wanted or needed. Looking at the injury, Kevin winced in sympathy. There were four ugly, ragged and deep furrows in Nick's flesh. It looked like when you were scratched by a cat, only about fifteen times as big. Kevin scowled, definitely not pretty and if they were able to go to a hospital, they'd probably need stitches. Atleast they had pretty much stopped bleeding, it was kinda bad for a while there.

As Kevin put the blood soaked gauze aside to reach for the roll of bandages, he sighed. He wondered why all this was happening to them. Then he mentally shook his head, he had a feeling he'd never find out. The way he saw it was this woman didn't even have a purpose in this, she just wanted to do it. We're just here for her entertainment, Kevin sneered, unconsciously letting his anger out on the form he was supposed to be helping.

Nick gasped at the unexpected yank on his shoulder, he opened his eyes and stared up into Kevin's angry face. He shrunk back, perceiving the anger was aimed at him.

Kevin blinked, seeming to come out of deep thought. He gazed down into Nick's wary eyes, then swore to himself. "Aw, jeez. I'm sorry, Nick," Kevin apologized. "I didn't mean to hurt ya, I was just thinking about that damn woman again."

Nick's eyes flicked in understanding, "Its okay, Kev." He breathed.

"Really, Nick," Kevin repeated, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't of done that."

Nick looked into Kevin's eyes, "Its okay, Kev. Really, I understand."

Kevin smiled, then sighed, "Good. Now," he said looking to Brian beside him. "You wanna sit Nick up so's I can wrap his shoulder?"

Brian nodded his head mutely, carefully raising Nick up so that he was sitting, leaning against his chest for support. Howie and AJ looked on, wishing they could be doing something, anything, to help. But for now, all they could do was watch.

"All right, Nick," continued Kev, bandages in hand, "now I'm gonna wrap this up tight. Its gotta keep the bleeding stopped and keep it clean... its gonna probably hurt."

Nick nodded his head, knowing its what had to be done. He sucked in a breath as Kevin began to wrap his shoulder, but beyond the pain, it felt better to have the support of the bandage.

Kevin finished and tied it off securely, "Sorry."

"Kev, it's all right," sighed Nick, sitting up and grabbing his shirt. He pulled it over his head with a wince. "You gotta quit apologizing, a person can only take so much of it, ya know," he smiled.

Kevin looked down, a smile tugging his own lips, "Yeah, okay. I get the hint."

"Hey," AJ suddenly said, "Shouldn't Mick of been back by now?"

Howie nodded, worried, "Yeah, he should. Wonder what's takin' him?"

"Hey! .... I think that's my cue!"

They all became alert at the all too familiar and hated voice, their eyes snapping to the backpack. With a scowl, Kevin reached in and pulled out the radio.

"What do you want?" he growled, no longer caring how he spoke to the woman.

"Aw, Kevvy," she pouted, "I'm hurt. I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn't be expecting Mr. Thomas anytime soon... make that ever."

They froze.

"Wha- ... what do you mean?" asked Howie, fearful of the answer.

"Just that.... I wouldn't be expecting his return," the amusement carried through in her voice.

Brian glanced at his friends, taking a deep breath, "Why not?"

"He's dead."

Each and every one of them visibly paled, suddenly loosing their ability to speak.

"Hello? ... Hello? Is this thing on?" The woman burst out laughing, "Oh, come on! Did you really think that he would be able to help you? Without me knowing? Please, you know better."

Nick blinked, his eyes coming back in focus, "He's... he's 'dead'? How-" Nick stopped, deciding he didn't want to know how. He was told anyway.

"Well, Nick, your good buddy Jake took care of him for me," she chuckled, "One shot, that's all it took. No more Mick."

Nick blanched, the image forming in his mind of Mick's last moments. He shook himself, trying to get rid of the disturbing sight.

"Jake?" asked Brian, catching the reference to Nick. "Who's Jake?"

"Why, he's the man that does my dirty work for me, I believe he's already met your Mr. Carter," she answered, feigning confusion. "Has he not told you of this?"

Brian gazed questioningly at his best friend, who had suddenly found his shirt end very interesting, "No, he hasn't."

"Oh, well," she sighed, "That's no matter, I'll leave you all to rest. Tomorrow is another fun filled day!"

Silence once again filled the small camp. AJ couldn't stand it.

"Mick's dead!" he yelled, astonished. "She 'killed' him! He... he..."

"We know, 'J," nodded Howie, placing a hand on AJ's shoulder and squeezing, "We know."

AJ stared at Howie with wide eyes, "Howie, she- she KILLED him! All he did was help us, now he's DEAD?! This is too real, 'D, too real."

Howie sighed, he was having a hard time believing the kind man was truly gone. "He was a good man, he didn't deserve to die. He came to our aid without even knowing who we are, he just wanted to help. Now he's dead." Howie sank to the ground, stunned, "Are we to blame?"

Kevin sat on the ground next to Howie, "No. We aren't, she is. She's the reason all of this is happening. Its 'her' fault, not ours."

Brian was caught between the shock of Mick's death and the new information concerning Nick. He felt horrible. Mick was helping them, that got him killed, simply helping out his fellow man. It wasn't right. Then, Nick... he's hiding things. Why can't he tell us? Brian held his head in his hands, raking his fingers through his hair.

Nick was relieved when Brian didn't ask any questions, he didn't think he could lie to him. He never was any good at it. Nick looked around and saw his friends in a state of stunned disbelief. None of them wanted to believe that the woman had killed Mick, that would mean that she could easily kill them also, at anytime. Nick shuddered, wincing when the movement caused his shoulder to throb. AJ was right, this was becoming too real. He guessed that they all were constantly hoping this was some dream or joke. Now, with Mick, it became serious. VERY serious. Someone had lost their life.

"All right," Kevin broke into their thoughts, "I think we should get some shut eye. It's been a long day." Kevin's voice cracked with emotion.

They each silently nodded, lost in their whirling thoughts and emotions. As they each laid back, staring up at the gray sky, they wondered what hell would greet them in the morning.

AJ laid with his eyes gazing into the endless gray, night sky. His arms folded and pillowing his head, he let out a restrained sigh, not noticing the wet drop that broke away from one of his chocolate brown eyes and slide down his face. His emotions twisted and knotted inside him, making his breathing hitch. His friends, they were all there with him. He found himself wishing they weren't, that way they wouldn't be subjected to the danger they've faced. They wouldn't get hurt, they wouldn't be scared, they would be safe. He wished this never happened, or that if it had to happen, that it would of been only him alone to be taken. This was hurting him something fierce. He had watched as three of his friends were pulled down a hill, he had watched as two of them were swept down a river and one almost drowned, he watched as a wild animal attacked one of them. All he had done was watch, what good was he? Now a person that was only trying to help, was dead. Murdered. God, why is this happening? AJ felt that he couldn't ask that question enough, not until he got an answer.

With a trembling breath, AJ fell into a troubled sleep.


///////Day4\\\



Dawn broke, but did not wake the five slumbering forms. Not one stirred until the sun was high in the sky, shining straight down on their lax faces.

AJ's mouth twitched, forming a grimace as he squeezed his eyes and moved his head to the side, trying to escape the bright light. Finding it useless, he cracks his eyes open a bit, squinting at the sun above. He sighed and then remembered. He shot up, looking at his friends still sleeping. Oh, God. I was hoping it was all a dream.

But it wasn't. He was still stuck in the middle of nowhere... wait, make that Alaska, and Mick was dead. Murdered in cold blood. AJ shuddered, this was not getting better.

Kevin groaned as the feeling of stiff, tired muscles woke him. Damn, he thought, never thought I'd miss a nice soft bed so much, the ground does nothing good for the body. He opened his eyes and sat up, rubbing his face. Kevin saw AJ awake and the others still asleep. He looked up, Damn, its pretty near midday. We should leave.

Kevin quickly woke the others and prodded the distracted AJ to leave. Soon, each with their own aches and pains, they set off once more for the cabin. The loss of a good soul weighing heavily on their backs.


~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Brian knew one thing and one thing only, he was dead tired. They had been walking for three hours straight since their last rest, it was time for another. Kevin lead them, taking them through the jumble of trees, rocks, and hills. The compass was forever in his hand, it being the one thing that gave them some semblance to where they were going. Brian sighed, he wondered how much further until they reached the cabin, and... what would greet them when they arrived.

He looked back at Nick behind him. Nick's head was down, watching the terrain before him. To Brian, it seemed Nick was coming along pretty well, considering he was attacked by a bear the night before. Nick didn't act like his clawed shoulder was bothering him, but Nick was pretty good at hiding things lately.

Brian's gaze switched to Howie. Howie seemed to be worried, the kind of worry that ate at you. Brian shook his head slightly, Howie didn't need that, none of them did. He'd have to talk to him, make him understand that they'd be okay, even if he didn't quite believe that himself. Things were getting downright crazy, who knew what would happen next.

Looking forward, his eyes fell on the back of AJ. He seemed different since the night before, like something changed in him. It was like AJ was fighting something, what Brian had no idea. He only hoped AJ could handle it and win whatever battle he was fighting.

Brian noticed that Kevin had stopped up ahead and, with a frown, Brian went up beside his cousin. Kevin wore an expression of indecision.

"Kev, what is it?"

"That," Kevin nodded ahead of him. Brian looked and gasped. There before them was an immense wall of rock, cutting down into the earth to create a large ravine, the previous river flowing far below them.

"What do we do?" Brian asked, not seeing a way around it.

Kevin sighed, turning away from the cliff to face his friends, who were now all around him. "The compass indicates that that's the way we go. I don't see any alternate route, there is a small ridge. Maybe we'll be able to cross that way."

Uneasiness showed on each of their faces, Brian stared at Kevin with something akin to shocked fear, "We have to go across 'that'?"

Solemnly, Kevin nodded, "I don't see any other way. Believe me, if I saw a better one I'd take it in an instant."

Silence. Then Howie spoke, "Okay, Kev. Let's do it."

Nick and AJ slowly nodded, Brian still stood in abject fear. He did not like this, not one bit. His fear of heights wasn't helping either.

"Okay, lets do this," Kevin said, forcing confidence into his voice.

As the others began toward the ridge, Brian hung back, frozen to his spot. Nick noticed and approached his friend. "Hey, Bri'. You okay with this?"

Brian couldn't lie, "No."

Nick bit his lip, his eyes flicking from Brian's frozen form to the others, "Listen, it'll be okay. We'll make it, we've come too far to stop now. We have to keep going, if for nothing else but for Mick."

That caught Brian's attention, "Y-you're right, Nick. I'll do it for Mick."

Nick smiled and they both moved to the ledge with the others, but one look down caused Brian to rethink his decision. Nick saw the fear rise on Brian's face.

"How about this Bri', Howie will go ahead of you and I'll be behind. That way you have one of us on either side, we'll take care of ya, Frick. I promise."

Brian slowly nodded his head, his eyes never leaving the two foot wide ledge they were about to cross. It stretched across the ravine, spanning close to fifty feet to the other side. He watched mutely as Kevin took his first tentative step, soon followed by a reluctant AJ. Howie sent a nervous look their way, then proceeded to follow Kevin and AJ.

"Your turn, Bri'." Nick gently urged.

Taking a deep breath, Brian ventured out onto the ledge, making sure to stick close to Howie and Nick close behind him. With his breath caught in his throat, Brian was reaching the halfway point. Each step he took was tentative and careful, not wanting to slip on the loose rocks that were spread like gravel on the narrow ledge.

One such careful step felt the firm rock fall away, causing Brian to quickly bring his other foot down to catch his balance. Brian's breath sucked through his teeth as the ground disintegrated beneath his feet, the rock breaking away. It happened so quick that Brian only vaguely felt the sensation of falling, being momentarily weightless. Then the realization hit him and he yelled out, his arms reaching for the rocky ledge as he fell. He watched as the ledge fell away from his fingers, he closed his eyes, not wanting to see.
Chapter 6 by Refuse
I'm gonna die.

That one thought coursed through Brian's mind as the rock crumbled beneath his feet, his hands reaching but missing the ledge, closing his eyes as a panicked shout echoed around him.

"BRIAN!"

Suddenly, pain shot through his left shoulder and he slammed against the rock wall. Stars flashed behind his closed eyes as his head swam from the impact. Brian shook his head, trying to clear it. What the... Opening his eyes, Brian found himself hanging in the air, the raging river far below. Confused, he looks up.

Nick's hands gripped his one fiercely, his eyes squeezed shut and teeth clenched tight. The upper half of Nick's body hung from the ledge above, only his legs remained on the small outcropping. With a jolt, Brian realized the only thing keeping Nick from falling was Howie, who was sprawled across the ledge, desperately holding onto Nick's legs.

"Nick?" Brian gasped, his breathing short with the fear running through him.

Nick's eyes cracked open, he tried to smile at Brian, but it resulted in a grimace. "Hang on, Bri'. Just hang on," he strained between his clenched teeth.

"Oh, I'm hangin'," Brian replied half-heartedly, the small smile leaving his face as pain again shot through his shoulder. His eyes gazed pleadingly up at Nick, "Get me out of here, Nick, please? I- I'm scared." Another pain and he gasped.

Nick felt like his arms were gonna rip off, he could feel the skin of his injured shoulder tear, fresh blood soaking through the bandage and slowly running down his arm. He bit his lip, Not good, not good. He thought, watching as the red liquid reached his gripped hands. Nick had heard Brian's plaintive voice pleading for him to help him out of this. Bri', I swear, I won't let you go. I promise.

Air shot through Nick's teeth, Oh, God... no, no, no... Brian's hand slipped slightly in his grasp, Nick's own blood hampering his grip.

"Nick!"

"It's all right, Frick. I got ya, don' worry, I got ya." Nick craned his head around as far as he could, "Howie!"

A strained reply, "Yeah?!"

"Get us up! My grip is slipping!" Nick cried, feeling Brian's hand slip again, causing Nick to tighten his grip even more than he thought possible. "Hurry!"

Howie laid face down on the small ledge, fiercely gripping Nick's legs. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't move, if he did he would either lose his grip on Nick or begin to slide on the loose gravel.

"Howie!"

Howie turned his head as far as he could at his name, exhaling in relief as Kevin and AJ carefully approached him.

AJ reached him first and managed to get over Howie's and Nick's forms, kneeling down on the small ledge as he grabbed one of Nick's legs with one hand and a handful of his shirt with the other. AJ moved in controlled motions, his face blank and eyes emotionless.

Kevin carefully crouched over Howie, he wrapped his arms around Howie's shoulders and said, "On three, we all lift. Keep a good hold on Nick, when Brian gets close enough I'll grab him, 'kay?"

Howie nodded, his voice not working.

"Okay, 1... 2... 3!"

Nick felt himself being pulled upwards, the rough rock ledge scraping against his chest. Brian slipped again, "Hurry, you guys! I'm losin' him!"

Hearing the desperation in Nick's voice caused the others to find reserved strength, and Nick quickly rose above the ledge, his hands still gripping Brian's one as Kevin got an arm around Brian and pulled him close to the rock wall.

Brian leaned heavily against Kevin and the shear rock, his breath coming in short pants from both fear and pain. He closed his eyes, trying to calm his racing heart. Too close, WAY too close. His shoulder throbbed painfully, opening his eyes he found Nick still holding his hand in a death grip.

"Nick," he breathed, wincing, "Ya gotta let go."

Nick understood, his hands didn't. He tried to release Brian's hand, but couldn't, his hands wouldn't obey his brian. Kevin leaned forward and gently pried Nick's fingers loose, all too aware of the blood leading from Nick's trembling hands to his shoulder.

"Lets get off this ridge, now," Kevin declared, unable to keep his voice from shaking. They all nodded, the sooner the better.

Kevin kept an arm on Brian, and Howie on Nick as they sidled to the safety of the other side of the ravine, tightly hugging the rock wall to their backs. AJ followed mutely behind, seeming detached from the whole situation.

Brian collapsed to the nice, solid, safe ground. He almost kissed it, almost.

"All right, Brian," addressed Kevin, kneeling beside his cousin, "Are you hurt?"

"Yeah," he groaned, trying to move his left arm and finding he couldn't, "Kev, I can't move my left arm."

Kevin heard the slight panic creep into Brian's voice, "Its okay, Bri'. I'll check it out."

Kevin gently lifted and inspected Brian's arm, stopping when he came to his shoulder. It was slightly misshapened. "I think I know what's wrong, Bri'."

Brian's eyes looked at him questioningly, "What?"

"You dislocated your shoulder."

Brian groaned.

"We have to put in back in place."

Brian groaned again. "And how, may I ask, will you do that?"

"Well," he smiled, "We could do it like Mel Gibson in 'Lethal Weapon' and slam it against a building, or in this case a tree," Brian paled, "Or we force it back into the socket. I'm sorry Brian, either way its gonna hurt like a sonofa-"

"I get the point, Kev."

"Howie, c'mere. I'll need your help," called Kevin.

Howie left Nick's side and kneeled a Brian's head, "What do ya want me to do, Kev?"

"Okay, I'll need you to guide the bones while I push them together."

Howie grimaced, but nodded his head. Brian laid with eyes closed, trying to ignore their conversation, hoping to distract himself from the upcoming procedure. It didn't work.

Kevin gave Howie a nod and then forced the bones into place with an audible pop. Brian's eyes snapped open and a cry escaped his lips. He now lay panting, he didn't think it was gonna hurt that much.

"Bri'...Bri'! You okay?" asked Kevin urgently.

"Oh, I'm just fine and dandy, Kev," Brian wheezed.

Kevin patted his uninjured shoulder, "You rest. Howie, I want you to make a sling for Brian's arm with some of the bandages. I'm gonna see to Nick now."

Howie nodded, his face pale after feeling and hearing the sickening pop of Brian's shoulder. He shuddered, he didn't even want to know what it felt like.

Nick looked up warily as Kevin approached him.

"Okay, Nick, let's see your shoulder."

Nick reluctantly took his shirt off, revealing his bandage, the front soaked red with blood. Kevin sighed, "Ahh, Nick. Does it hurt like before?"

Nick shook his head, but stopped when he felt dizzy. He blinked slowly, trying to bring back his focus. Kevin observed this, "Dizzy?"

Nick almost nodded, but caught himself, "Yeah."

Kevin sighed and brought his hand up to massage the back of his neck, "Sounds like you're loosin' too much blood, Nick. Its stopped bleeding now, I think you'll be all right as long as you don't loose anymore." Kevin gripped Nick's other shoulder, looking into his eyes, "So, take it easy, okay?"

Nick nodded, then swayed slightly. I gotta stop doing that. "I'll try, Kev."

"No, Nick. Not try, you WILL."

Kevin then changed Nick's bandage, being careful to not trigger the bleeding again.

AJ stayed off to the side, standing alone and watching. His eyes were no longer expressionless, they were now filled with anguish. We almost lost Brian... AGAIN! And Nick, too. AJ remembered every detail of when Brian fell. Nick was a few steps behind, but when Brian fell he leapt out for him. Nick had caught Brian's hand but then he slid over the ridge, too. If it weren't for Howie... AJ shuddered.

AJ wrapped his arms around himself, suddenly cold. AJ couldn't take much more of this, he almost lost each of them at one time or other. Images of the landslide, then the river, the bear, now with the ridge each flashed before his eyes... AJ whipped his hands up to his eyes, rubbing them. He couldn't stand it. He looked at the guys, I gotta get away for a little while. I gotta be alone for a bit, gotta sort things out before I go crazy.

AJ took the still sleeping Squeaker out of his pocket, laying him on the ground. He smirked slightly, Damn squirrel'll sleep through anything. He looked one more time at his friends, then turned and disappeared into the trees. I won't go far, I just need to think.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Her pale face brightened with delight. Oh, JOY! One of them is breaking the rules! She laughed gleefully and clapped her hands in excitement. It's about time!

She snatched up the radio, "Jake! One of them has left the group, you know what to do."

"You got it, boss. I'll get Zack to help me out."

The delighted woman fixed her gaze on AJ, savoring the anticipation.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



AJ walked aimlessly, having no direction. The same as his thoughts, they whirled in his head, confusing the hell out of him. I hate watching my friends get hurt and not be able to do anything. I just can't do enough to make myself feel like I am helping them. Nothing seems like enough. They each have had life threatening accidents, how can I help them with that?

AJ shook his head, Just being there should be enough, but I can't convince myself of that.

AJ was abruptly brought back to reality when something grabbed him roughly from behind, throwing him into a tree. AJ grunted when he slammed into the unyielding mass, squeezing his eyes shut as something in his side gave out. He wasn't given time to recover as rough hands twisted his hands behind his back, causing AJ to cry out as his arms and side protested. Something hard slammed into his stomach, causing his air to rush out and his body to double over as far as whoever was holding him would allow.

He gasped for breath, the sound of laughter dimly reaching him past the roar in his ears. AJ forced his eyes open and squinted up at his attackers, before him was a man in a black ski mask and camouflage overalls. He was flexing the fingers of his right hand. The guy behind AJ spoke up in a gravely voice, "Hey, nice one, Zack. Remember to save some for me, though."

"Hey, I won the toss fair and square. I'll take as much out of him as I want."

AJ gulped, I really am not liking the sound of this.

The man behind him chuckled evilly, "All right, I guess its only fair since I got to scare the shit out of the other one."

That caused AJ to pause, Other one?

"Hold him up, Jake." The man behind AJ complied.

AJ saw the fist coming and rolled his head, managing to not take the hit full in the face. Instead, the fist slammed into his jaw. AJ gagged as the taste of blood filled his mouth. AJ, never being one to take anything without a fight, kicked out at the man before him and grinned at the contact and cry of pain. Ha! Take that, you bastard!

Jake watched in amusement as Zack clutched his knee, spewing a stream of obscenities worthy only of himself.

"Zack, are you going to finish this or should I?" Jake asked annoyed.

Zack released his throbbing knee and glared icily at the young man before him, "You think you're tough, huh?" he asked, ignoring Jake, "We''ll just see how tough you really are."

AJ's eyes widened as Zack approached, the man's eyes causing him to involuntarily shiver. AJ doubled over again as the man rained blows into his midsection, hitting AJ in the face a couple of times before backing away, breathing heavily after his efforts.

AJ sagged in Jake's arms with a groan, blood flowing from his nose and split lip. Dragging his gaze up, AJ paled at the sight of the glinting metal in Zack's hand.

"Now," Zack growled, "Let's have some real fun."




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



As it was late afternoon, Kevin decided they might as well stay where they are. He quickly constructed a fire and sat beside it. He was lost in his thoughts when a light pressure on his leg and a squeak startled him. Looking down, he sees AJ's squirrel Squeaker gazing up at him with wide black eyes. Kevin didn't know what to do with the thing so he looked around for AJ. A sinking feeling filled his gut when he was nowhere in sight. He looked to the others, hoping they knew.

"Hey, guys. Where's AJ?"

They all stopped what they were doing and looked wildly around, obviously not knowing. Nick blue eyes grew wide with pure terror. AJ... Oh, God... you didn't... you DIDN'T!

"AJ!" Nick yelled out, the fear easily heard in his voice. No answer. Nick became frantic, he jumped to his feet, ignoring his dizziness, "AJ! Damn it! This isn't funny, AJ!"

Kevin put a calming hand on Nick's back, "Take it easy, Nick. I'm sure he's fine."

Kevin was taken aback when Nick whirled to face him, "No he isn't! Don't you see?! He left the group... he broke the rules!" Nick's voice cracked in memory.

Understanding caused Kevin to pale, "Oh, no."

Nick didn't even hear Kevin, he simply spun around and ran into the trees calling AJ's name.

"Nick! Damn it, your shoulder!" cried Kevin, running after the desperate blond. "Nick!"

Howie quickly helped Brian up and they followed Kevin as he, too, disappeared into the trees.

Nick ran for all he was worth, not knowing where he was going, just knowing it was the right way. I have to find AJ. If any thing's happened to him... Damn it! If I wouldn't of kept my mouth shut about Jake, AJ never would of left the group!

Nick stopped dead at the sound of laughter, his eyes narrowed. He knew that sound. Nick's face turned as cold as stone at the thought of AJ going through what he did. Anger took control over his fear and Nick burst into the scene just as Zack was about to bring the blade down on AJ.

"Nooo!"

Startled, Zack spun around, just in time to see Nick barrel into him. The air left his lungs as they both crashed to the ground, rolling across the ground in their struggle. Zack growled and attempted to bring the knife down at Nick, but Nick grabbed his arm and held it off. Nick's fear and anger coupled gave Nick added strength as he fought the man.

So intent on each other, neither of them noticed the ravine's edge becoming closer and closer. Not until Nick felt the ground suddenly disappear from beneath his head. Startled, he turned and saw the river far below. Well, that looks familiar. he thought wryly as Zack grinned and increased his weight, trying to either bring the knife down or force Nick off the cliff. Nick felt his strength ebbing and had to think fast. He suddenly let his whole resistance stop and kicked up with his legs. He stared into Zack's shocked eyes as he sailed over him and down into the ravine, not making a sound.

Nick scrambled away from the edge, his heart pounding as he tried to register what he just did. He suddenly felt numb, Oh, God... I jus- just KILLED someone... Nick sat, staring at the edge of the ravine in shock.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Jake was surprised when the Carter kid attacked Zack, he simply watched in shock. That was his mistake.

"Let him GO!"

Jake jerked his head at the voice and received a hard punch in the face. He dropped his burden and fell back, stars flashing across his vision. What the hell hit me?

Kevin quickly gathered AJ up off the ground and dragged him away from the man he just hit. He quickly left the man and made his way back to the camp, but bumped into Howie and Brian.

They stared at AJ, shocked.

"Help Nick!" cried Kevin, moving past them. "He fighting with one of them!"

They nodded and quickly raced to find Nick. They found him sitting near the ravine's edge, shaking his head and staring fixated at the edge.

Brian moved forward, "Nick?"

Nick brought his shocked, blue eyes to meet Brian's, "Bri', I-...h- he...I-... ...Oh, God Brian! I killed him!"

Brian's jaw dropped. Howie froze where he was. Brian recovered and kneeled before Nick, "Nick, you had to. Otherwise, it'd of been you. It was self-defense, Nick. Its not your fault."

Nick blinked at Brian, "I- I know that, Brian, but-... You didn't see his eyes..."

Brian traded glances with Howie, "It all right, Frack. We'll get you through this, 'kay?"

Nick nodded, then the ground began to spin. "Bri'..." he breathed.

Brian then saw the wetness on Nick's shoulder, "Nick! Hey, stay with me, man."

Nick managed to come back in focus, but he felt lightheaded, "Bri', I feel funny."

"Yeah, I know, buddy. You're bleeding again." He looked up at Howie, "Help me out, 'D."

Together, they both got Nick to his feet and began back to the camp. None of them noticed the form that watched them, hidden in the trees. Jake sneered, I REALLY hate that kid.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Back at camp, Kevin cared for AJ. AJ was conscious, but in pain. After checking him over, Kevin found two cracked ribs on AJ's right side and other than that, just bruises. AJ was lucky, Damn lucky.

"AJ, hey AJ. You with me?"

"Yeah," AJ mumbled, "What the hell hit me?"

"About a dozen fists, I'd say," replied Kevin sadly.

AJ opened his eyes, "Oh, yeah. Now I remember." He then looked around wildly, "Where's Nick?"

"I don't know, Bri' and Howie are lookin' for 'im."

"But he attacked the guy with the knife! We gotta help him!" AJ tried to scramble to his feet, but was stopped by Kevin's hand easily pushing him back down.

"You're not going anywhere."

Just then, Howie, Nick, and Brian stepped into the camp. AJ and Kevin both visibly sagged in relief.

"He okay?" Kevin asked.

"He's bleeding again."

"Shit," muttered Kevin, crawling over to where they set Nick down. "Nick? You with me? How do you feel?"

Nick lifted his head, "Tired."

Kevin closed his eyes, "Okay, I'll change your bandage and then you can sleep, OK?"

Nick stayed silent. With a sigh, Kevin changed the bandage and then laid Nick down. He was asleep before his head hit the ground.

Brian stared at Kevin, "Well?"

"I think he's still okay, it didn't bleed that much." Kevin stared down at Nick, "But, no more."

"How's AJ?" asked Howie.

"Not too bad, a couple cracked ribs and a lot of bruises," answered Kevin, turning to see that AJ lay asleep. "Other than being uncomfortable for the next few days, he ought to be fine."

Brian spoke, his serious tone catching Kevin's immediate attention, "That guy that Nick fought... he's dead."

Kevin nodded, understanding.

Brian continued, "Nick's not taking it too well."

"We'll have to talk about it tomorrow, we should get to sleep. Its already dark, well as dark as it gets here anyways."

Howie and Kevin settled down and were soon asleep. Brian gazed at his four friends, noticing Squeaker had curled up on AJ's chest. Brian's eyes landed on Nick one last time before he, too, fell asleep.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



"You idiot!" Jake cringed, the woman before him was a bit pissed.

"I can't believe you screwed up!" she ranted, suddenly pulling a gun and firing at Jake. Jake jumped, feeling the hot breath of the bullet as it burned passed his head.

"I- I'm sorry, boss!" he cried, actually fearing for his life, "I didn't know the Carter kid was there!"

"I don't give a shit! We're now down one man! It's just you, me and Cal. You just made everything difficult! The only reason I'm not killing you is because I need the man-power! But... if you screw up again, you're dead."

The woman then left the room, slamming the door. Jake sank to the floor in relief. A shadow fell over his features, I'm gonna kill that kid.




///////Day5\\////4a.m.\\\



Darkness actually fell over the land, clouds once again rolling in. The five figures slept oblivious. One figure stirs, awoken by something.

Howie grimaced, feeling something brushing over his arm. Annoyed, he jerked his arm, trying to rid himself of the touch. He became fully awake and frozen to his spot as a coiled weight suddenly slithered onto his chest with a hiss.

Howie slowly opened his eyes.

Suddenly, he couldn't breathe as the fire light played across a long, glistening creature coiled on his chest. Howie stared transfixed into two reptilian eyes, its forked tongued darting out nervously.

Howie didn't move a muscle, What the hell do I do?!
Chapter 7 by Refuse
What do I do? What do I do? What do I DO?!

The question played like a mantra through Howie's mind. It was a simple enough question, but with a very elusive answer. What the hell are you supposed to do when a particularly large and vile looking snake was using your chest as its own personal resting place? Howie'd give anything to just scream his lungs out, but it wasn't exactly one of his choices. I wish I could breathe. Howie thought fleetingly, as he was holding his breath, breathing very slowly, so not to startle the reptile staring into his eyes. Howie slowly turned his head, searching out his friends. He almost sighed when he found them all sound asleep still. Come on, guys. Help me out here!

As if in answer to Howie, AJ stirred. Howie watched as he rolled over onto his right side, biting his lip when AJ cried out and woke abruptly, causing the snake to hiss and pull back. Howie's brow furrowed when he heard a rattle, Dear God, its a freakin' rattle snake! What the hell is a rattle snake doin' in Alaska? Hell, I didn't think there even WERE snakes in this region.

AJ grabbed onto his side, his breath hissing through his teeth. I gotta remember to NEVER do that again. Once the pain subsided, he heard a hissing sound. It wasn't him, what was it? AJ let his brown eyed gaze sweep their fire lit camp, nearly fainting dead away when his eyes fell on Howie. A snake.... tell me that is NOT a snake... ...Breathe AJ, you gotta breathe, man. He slowly crawled his way over to Howie, whose fearful wide eyes bored into him.

"Howie?" AJ rasped softly, his eyes watching the snake for any threat, "You okay, 'D?"

Howie's expression grew lax and he raised an eyebrow. AJ closed his eyes, Yeah, I know. Stupid question. AJ was within a foot of Howie when the snake's head jerked in his direction, a rattle filling the night. AJ nearly fell, Oh, shit! A rattle snake?!

"It'll be okay, 'D. Jus' you sit tight," AJ tried to soothe his friend as he detoured to Kevin, missing Howie rolling his eyes. Sit tight? Gimme a break, AJ.

AJ carefully made his way to Kevin's sleeping form, he shook him lightly, "Kev... Hey, Kev... Wake up, we got a problem..."

Kevin groaned and then blinked his eyes open, staring into AJ's scared face, "What's wrong, AJ? You okay?" He asked, sitting up.

"Yeah, uhhh.... well, I'm okay. Its Howie that falls out of the okay category," he replied nervously.

"Howie? What's wrong with Howie?"

AJ nodded over to Howie and watched the color drain from Kevin's face. "Dear God..." he breathed.

They made their way back over to Howie, the snake seeming to become more agitated by the second. The rattle became louder and more insistent, the message clearly sent: Beware.

Kevin tried to look at the situation calmly, then silently laughed. Who am I kidding? He desperately tried to think of something, anything to help Howie. Kevin became frustrated when he came up blank.

For his part, Howie stared at the snake, his eyes watching for the slightest change that would signal a strike. He felt his body wanting to shake in the fear he felt, but somehow he managed to staunch the impulse. The snake probably wouldn't of reacted too kindly to that little function.

Suddenly, something flew out of the darkness outside of their camp. They watched in horror as a rock fell and landed on the high-strung snake. Startled, the snake attacked the closest thing to it... Howie.

Howie saw the change and sat up with a jerk, throwing his arms over his face as the snake struck out at him. He cried out and and scrambled back at a fierce stinging in his right forearm, he squeezed his eyes shut and gripped his arm, his breath coming out in panicked gasps. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, GOD! Jesus, no. LORD, no! This canNOT be happening!

Kevin watched through a stunned haze as the snake struck Howie, he then moved on instinct alone as he grabbed the serpent and flung it into the fire. Nick and Brian woke up with surprise at the chaos around them, their wide eyes trying to take in the scene before them.

"What the hell?!" cried Nick, staring in disbelief at the fire, seeing the long body writhing in its burning hot center. He turned to the equally stunned Brian beside him, "That's a snake, right?" Brian slowly nodded, not taking his eyes away from the dying reptile. Nick couldn't believe it, "What the hell is a snake doin' here?!"

AJ was more worried about Howie, seeing his friend clutching his arm in pain was not a particularly good sign.

"Howie?" he asked, reached forward, "Howie, man, are you hurt? Did it get ya?"

Howie kept his hand clutched over his arm, blood was beginning to seep through his fingers, God, this hurts like hell! He simply nodded his head in response to AJ's question, thinking it was obvious. Oh, God. I'm gonna die.

Nick and Brian joined Kevin and AJ around Howie, their faces filled with concern in seeing Howie. They knew what happened. Kevin moved closer to Howie's shaking form, "Okay, 'D, you gotta stay still, okay? You're going to be all right, you hear me? You're gonna be fine."

Kevin reached forward and managed to tear Howie's hand away from his arm, revealing his white shirt sleeve and widening red stain. Kevin unbuttoned the cuff and pulled the material back, uncovering two distinct holes in Howie's arm, the blood flowing freely from them. Kevin didn't know what to do, should he suck the poison out? Is that what they do?

Howie's soft, trembling voice broke through the silence, "Oh, God, Kevin.... I don't wanna die..."

"You're not gonna die, 'D," stated AJ firmly, "We won't let you."

Kevin finally made a decision, "I'm gonna suck the poison out, its the only thing I can think of..."

Howie looked at Kevin's tortured face, "Do whatever you have to, Kev."

Kevin took Howie's arm and sucked out a mouthful of blood and then quickly spit it out, grimacing. Then Kevin stopped, he stared blankly for a moment. Something wasn't right.

"Kev, you okay?" Brian asked, noticing his cousin's expression.

"No poison," Kevin breathed, barely audible.

Brian leaned forward, "What?"

Kevin blinked and then looked from Howie to Brian, "No poison." This time he said it louder, firmer.

They all stared at him, Nick asked what was on all of their minds, "How do you know?"

"I didn't taste any," Kevin replied, knowing it sounded gruesome, but it was the truth. "The snake..."

"Yeah," AJ urged, "the snake... what?"

Understanding lit Kevin's eyes as it all fell into place, then his face fell in anger, "The snake, it was milked. It didn't have any poison to begin with, somebody milked it. There aren't any snakes in Alaska, let alone a rattle snake." Kevin's eyes narrowed, "Somebody put it here, and I'll give you one guess who."

Howie looked at Kevin in shock, eyes wide and mouth open, "No poison? I'll be fine? I'm okay?" He suddenly sighed, falling back to lay on the ground, "Thank God!"

Howie lay trembling, that scared the hell out of him. He thought he was dead. Dead. Now the relief with the knowledge that he wasn't and the aftershock... it was overwhelming. He didn't want to have that feeling of utter terror again, never again. He took deep breaths, his heart slowly calming its rapid pace. Howie squeezed his eyes shut, a few tears slipping and falling into his hair. God...

AJ sat, letting it all sink in. Howie is all right? He's not gonna die? AJ couldn't believe how close this was. If the snake would of had poison... Howie was as good as dead. Thank God for small miracles... Hell, huge miracles.

Kevin was seething. Nick could see it burning in his green eyes, and the way the fire light played across Kevin's angry features... Nick shuddered. I wouldn't want to be that woman right about now... nope, definitely not. Nick was a little afraid of Kevin right now, he didn't know what Kevin was going to do. Kevin's face was screaming bloody murder.

Nick tentatively reached out to Kevin, "Kev? You okay?"

Kevin stood, he didn't seem to hear Nick's words. Nick glanced at Brian as he saw Kevin's hands clenching and unclenching at his sides. Okay, this can't be good.

Kevin's eyes blazed as he gazed out into the darkness beyond their fire's glow. It was a little lighter than before, but the clouds remained over the sun, even in the early morning light. Kevin's stare searched the murkiness, looking for the person that caused this to happen... so he could beat the crap out of him. Kevin had never wanted to physically hurt someone so badly in his life. It scared him, that he would want to purposely inflict harm to another human being. But, he reasoned, you could hardly call these people human.

Kevin's eyes locked onto the backpack. He smiled. If I'm right, then I think that 'woman' didn't know about this anymore than we did. Still smiling, Kevin walked over to the backpack and reached in.

Brian watched his cousin as he smiled and walked to the backpack, reaching in. What is he doin'? Brian's eyes widened as Kevin brought his hand up with the black radio clutched in his fingers, "Kevin, what are you doin'?"

Brian's question caught the attention of the others, AJ paused in wrapping Howie's arm, before quickly tying it off and putting his full attention on Kevin.

Kevin looked at Brian, "I just thought I'd give our lady friend a little call, let her know how much we enjoyed her little surprise."

A lone figure out in the murky darkness heard this and cringed.

"Kev, are you crazy? You actually want to talk to that... that..." Brian broke off, not finding a suitable word to describe the woman.

"Trust me, Bri'. I think I know what just went on here," replied Kevin, then he depressed the radio button. He paused. He didn't know what to call her. Kevin shrugged, "Hey, Lady! You there?!"

He waited. The others traded nervous glances, not liking this one bit.

Kevin tried again, "Hey! This is Kevin! You know, one of the guys you dragged into this hell hole?!"

Finally, a response. For a moment, Kevin regretted the call.

"What the hell do you want?!" The woman's voice was sharp and cracked like a whip. Kevin slightly cringed, then took a deep breath. He started this, he was going to finish it.

"I just wanted to tell you how much we enjoyed your little surprise," he stated mysteriously.

Silence.

"What the hell are you talkin' about?!" The woman was not in a good mood. This Kevin, had just woken her from a very nice, demented sleep. She was seriously pissed that he called just to prattle her ear off about some damned nonsense.

Kevin smiled at her reaction, I was right. "You know, that snake you left us. A rattle snake, the one you milked and had scare the shit out of us. Just for your entertainment."

"What?!"

The woman didn't believe her ears, a rattle snake? Certainly not her rattle snake! Dropping the hand-held radio, she quickly left her room and stumbled into the observation room, skidding to a stop at a glass tank. No! He was gone, her precious little Satan was gone! What did they do with him?

She quickly scrambled to the screens and monitors, finding the one that recorded them at night and pushing rewind. She stopped it and watched as her snake, Satan, slithered onto... Howie? and then after a little while, he attacked. She watched through horrified eyes as Kevin grabbed her Satan and flung him into the fire.

"Noooo!"

She grabbed the radio, her knuckles white in the ferocity she gripped it with. "You killed him! You killed my Satan, you bastard!"

"You shouldn't of sent him after us," replied Kevin coolly, "Its your own fault."

The woman was shaking in her anger, "I. Did. Not. Send. My. Satan. After. You." She said this slowly, punctuating each word she spit out.

Kevin feigned surprise, inwardly smiling. It was nice to get one up on the sick woman, "Then who did?"

The woman's eyes narrowed, "Jake." The name hissed off of her tongue. Then louder she declared, "Jake." She knew he was out there listening, "JAKE! You get yer good for nothin' ass back here pronto! I know you're there, so move it!"

Kevin heard a faint curse and then a rustling in the bush. He smiled wider, "Hey, Lady," Kevin smirked, looking at his stunned friends, his eyes twinkling.

The woman's voice sounded wary, "Yeah?"

"Do you like your snake regular or extra crispy?"

The guys burst out laughing, Kevin grinned at the woman's response, "You-... you-... you-... Oh! Screw you, Richardson! You'll pay for that, all of you will. Mark my words, you'll pay with your lives!"

Then static emitted from the small radio, Kevin placed it back into the backpack and turned to the guys, who were just getting their laughter under control. He smiled, "God, did that ever feel good!"





AJ tried not to laugh, he really did. He failed miserably, and then paid the price. Pain lanced through his side, causing him to clutch the sensitive area. Oh, damn... no laughing, gotta remember... no laughing. Eyes shut tight, AJ concentrated on taking slow even breaths, the pain slowly dissipating.

Howie stopped laughing at AJ's gasp of pain, "Hey, 'J. You all right, man?"

AJ nodded his head, wincing, "Yeah, 'D. I will be in a minute, laughing does nothing good for cracked ribs."

"Oh, man, I forgot about that. You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah," AJ assured, straightening, "Its already better."

Then AJ noticed something was missing, "Hey, where's Squeaker?"

Howie glanced around, "How should I know, he's your squirrel."

Then it hit AJ, "Aw, shit. The snake... squirrels and snakes aren't exactly best buds. He probably ran away when he saw the snake, I hope the little bugger's okay."

Howie could see worry in AJ's eyes, He's really gotten attached to that squirrel. Huh, never thought of AJ getting all mushy over a squirrel. "Hey, you wanna go and look for him? I mean, it looks like Kev's in the mood to start movin' anyway. We all could keep an eye out for him."

Gratitude filled AJ's eyes, "Hey, thanks 'D. I can't help but like the little guy, he's just so damn cute!"

Howie laughed, "I'll agree with you on that. C'mon, lets tell the others."

Howie and AJ informed the others of the missing rodent and they set out to search for the squirrel. They stayed together, of course, not wanting a repeat of what happened the last time they split up. They searched every place they could think of, from up in the trees, to under bushes and in hollow logs. They came up empty at every turn, AJ was getting really worried.

Soon, they decided to take a break and have something to eat. They all sat on the ground and leaned against the trees, waiting as Kevin opened the backpack. Kevin unzipped the pack and then opened it, looking inside. His jaw dropped and then he burst out laughing. The others glanced at each other in confusion.

"What's so funny, Kev?" asked Nick.

Kevin just grinned and reached into the backpack, pulling out a fat Squeaker covered in crumbs with a half eaten cookie clutched in his tiny hands.

"Squeaker!" exclaimed AJ, coming forward and snatching the animal from Kevin's grasp. "You little shit! You were in there the whole time?! And you were piggin' out on our food!" AJ wagged his finger at the suddenly contrite squirrel, "Bad squirrel, understand? Bad squirrel!"

Squeaker just blinked up at him innocently, then offered AJ the cookie. AJ stared, then sighed and broke into a grin, "Aw, I can't stay mad at you," AJ turned to the guys, "I mean, look at that face!"

The guys just shook their heads and grinned. Would wonders never cease?



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Jake was surprised he was still alive. The boss was none too happy with him about her precious Satan. I didn't think they'd kill it! I mean, what were the chances of that Kevin guy actually grabbing the snake and throwing it into the fire?! I just wanted to scare them, get them back for humiliating me. I used to be the boss' favorite, now she desperately wants to kill me. Jake tentatively brought a hand up to his face, his fingers coming into contact with his freshly re-opened scar. He winced. She had slashed his face in the same place as his scar, it would be even more prominent than before when it healed. She had given him one more chance, if he screwed up again he was dead. Hell, if I screw up again, I'm outta here!

Jake stood in the back of the observation room, leaning against the wall. His boss was at the console, watching the monitors. From watching the guys, Jake had learned something. They seemed to be in more pain when one of them was in danger or hurt than if they themselves were the one's hurt or in danger. This seemed especially true of that Carter kid, it basically tore him up inside when one of his friends was in danger.

Jake smiled. He now knew how to get his revenge on the young man. Jake's black eyes sparked, I can't wait...



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



"You've got to be kidding me!"

"Things just couldn't look up for us, now could they?!"

Thunder strikes and rain falls, dowsing the five young men running through the dense trees on the incline of a mountain. Kevin's eyes are on the surroundings, trying to find shelter from the storm. The rain falls steadily, the occasional lightning lighting their way.

"Hey!" he yells, getting their attention. They stop and squint through the rain falling into their eyes at Kevin, who has his hand across his brow as a shield. "Lets keep moving, but lets not overdo it. Keep your eyes open for any kind of shelter. This storm can't last long." At least I hope it doesn't last long.

They silently agree, nodding their heads. They resume their trek, keeping their pace at a steady jog. They begin to feel miserable as the rain continues and they still haven't found adequate shelter, their assorted injuries aggravated by the constant movement and heavy weight of their water logged clothes.

Finally, a sign of relief, "Hey!" Yelled Nick, pointing through the rain and up ahead, "There's a cave!"

"Thank God!" cried AJ, quickly closing the distance to the presumedly safe shelter. "I'd had enough of that rain!"

AJ reaches the dark cave, cautiously peering into its depths. The opening is fairly wide, 7 feet high and 9 feet wide, but as AJ enters he notices it differs greatly. The cave opens up to an enormous cavern, cool.

"Hey, guys! You gotta check this out!" AJ's voice echoes through the blackness, causing AJ to shiver in the loneliness of it.

His friends soon join him and gape at the huge and spacious cave, "Whoa! This is cool!" cried Brian as he listened to his voice also echo, moving further into the darkness.

"Brian! Get back here!" yelled Kevin, snatching Brian's right arm and pulling him back towards the opening. "You don't know what's in here, there could be wild animals in this place. We stay close to the opening, got it? No venturing into the cave."

"Yeah, Kev," replied Brian, "I got'cha."

"Good. Now," Kevin continued, turning to the others and seeing Nick huddled against the stone wall with his arms wrapped around his chest, shivering, "We'd better get a fire started before we freeze to death."

They managed to find some dry wood and built a fire near the mouth of the cave, all five huddled closely around it and basked in the warmth it provided. The hours passed and the storm grew more violent, the lighting now cracked constantly, the thunder roaring nonstop.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



"What the HELL?!" cried the woman, her screens and lights suddenly going blank and the room dark. "Jake! What the hell just happened?!"

Clears throat "Well, uhhh... I think the storm knocked our power out, boss." His voice came from the back of the dark room, flashes of lightning acting like a strobe through the sparse windows.

"What?!" She couldn't believe this. Now, besides being one man short, she has now lost her eyes. She needs her eyes, that was a major part in the game. She had to watch the players, what was she going to do now?

"Jake! Get yer ass out into that storm and see why our generator has lost power... NOW!"

"Okay, boss... I'm goin'."

Jake left the room and soon the cabin, forcing himself out into the rain. He stumbled to where they had the generator in a shack. He stopped. Oh, you have got to be kidding! Jake stared at the ruins of the metal shed, seeing it still smoldering after the hit. The boss ain't goin' to like this.

With a sigh, Jake went back to the cabin. He went to the observation room but paused outside the door. He took a deep breath and then pushed it open. He saw the boss still in her chair but with a flashlight clicked on in her hands. "Well?"

"Its toast, boss. It was struck by lightning."

Jake ducked as the flying light came soaring at his head, hearing it whip over him and crash into the wall. Surprisingly, it stayed lit, a beam of light cutting into the black room. He blanched at the sight before him. The boss still sat in the chair facing him, but the light hit her face and revealed to him the depths of hell on earth. Okay, NOW she's really pissed...

"Leave before I kill you," she hissed, fire dancing in her ice blue eyes.

Jake didn't need to be told twice and quickly left the room. He decided he'd go get the old lanterns out and light the cabin up, he didn't want her to change her mind and come after him in the dark. He wanted to be able to see her coming.

The woman sat. Fuming. I can't believe it... I just can't BELIEVE it! What the hell are the odds?! I'm still continuing the game, we still have our cell phones to communicate. I'll have Cal and Jake shadow them and report into me. The cell phones aren't the best out here for reception, the radios were better. We'll just have to cope... Damn, how did everything fall apart? It was going so great... Those boys... Those 'Backstreet Boys' ... have the luck of the Devil... But it won't last, their luck will end the minute they walk through that door. I will end it PERSONALLY...



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Soon, night once again fell and the storm finally stopped, much to the relief of the five temporary occupants of the cavernous cave. They were tired, but also restless. AJ seemed to be able to entertain himself with Squeaker and Howie kept himself busy by watching AJ play with Squeaker. Kevin was poking the fire with a long stick, watching the sparks fly, lost in thought.

Nick was sitting cross-legged at the edge of the cave opening, leaning against the stone wall and staring out into the dark forest watching the clouds roll out and the gray light roll in. He felt all of his emotions begin to catch up with him, slowly piling up inside him. He'd been struggling to keep them back since this whole thing started, trying to stay strong and support his friends. Now, it was beginning to overwhelm him. He didn't know how much longer he'd be able to keep it up. Just the idea of what was happening, let alone what happened to them so far, was enough if he thought about it. So, he concentrated on other things. The trees, the sky, the clean scent of rain, his friends, singing, his fans, his life, his family, his home... ...home. Somehow, his thoughts lead to things he longed for now. His family... ...HOME. Oh, how I want to go home. To my family, my house, the ocean, back to singing... All those things, to me, was home. Kevin, Howie, AJ, and Brian are a huge part of that, too. But... to go HOME... Please, I just want to go home...please... Nick stared into the night, anguish in his eyes and tears sliding down his face.

Brian was restless. He wanted to do something. He looked at his friends. Howie and AJ were playing with Squeaker, Kevin was staring blankly into the fire, I'm sure that would be a good place to start something...NOT. He turned to Nick and found him at the edge of the cave with his back to them, a good distance away from them. I don't think he wants to be bothered.

Brian sighed. So what the hell am I gonna do? His gaze led to the back of the cave. Hmmm... He glanced at Kevin and saw him still preoccupied with the fire. What could possibly happen? Brian quietly got to his feet and walked to the back of the cave.

Brian carefully walked, taking measured steps in the darkness. He couldn't see a damn thing. Aw, there's no point in this. What good is it if I can't see anything? With a sigh, Brian turned to go back to the mouth of the cave. Then he suddenly heard an flapping noise above him. Curious, he squinted up at the ceiling. His jaw dropped. He could swear the ceiling was moving. But... that would mean... Oh, man...

Brian started to quickly make his way back to his friends, when...

"BRIAN!" That would be Kevin... ticked off by the sounds of it.

The roof above Brian suddenly made another flapping noise, soon it escalated to be heard all around him. Then the ceiling seemed to fall down on top of him. Brian screamed as small claws and wings closed in and smothered all around him.

"Ahhh!"

Brian ran back to his friends, the black cloud following him. Brian waved his one free hand over his head, knocking them from his hair. He broke his way to his stunned friends, who were all on their feet facing him.

"BATS!" he yelled, grabbing Nick and pushing him out the cave and to the ground. Brian covered his head with his arm as he heard and felt the hoards of bats flying over him, out of the cave and into the night.

Once they all finally left, Brian tentatively lifted his head.

"Brian," Kevin's tone was low, wanting an answer.

"I know, I know," Brian said as he pushed himself up, "You told me to stay to the front of the cave. I'm sorry."

Kevin shook his head, partly at Brian and partly to shake the feeling of bats clinging to his hair. "Don't do it again, Bri'."

"Trust me," Brian smiled, "I won't."

Brian's smile abruptly left when something knocked him upside his head. He turned to face a smiling Nick, "You spaz. You couldn't let us have one moment of peace, now could ya?"

Brian's smile returned, "Nope."

"All right," said Kevin, smiling also, "Maybe we ought to get some sleep. We can go back into the cave by the fire, I think. Those bats ought to leave us alone until mornin'."

They all stood and turned to the cave, then froze. There, staring straight back at them with glowing eyes, was a really big cat. It stood poised at the side of the entrance, staring at them intently. The fire light from within the cave cast a glow on the cat, revealing long fur, a large mouth, huge paws, and a black outline on its ears, the tip a long black spike of fur.

"What the hell is that?" whispered Howie.

Kevin answered, "That, I'm afraid, is a lynx."

"What do we do?"

"Don't move a muscle."

"Yeah, okay... I think we got that covered," deadpanned AJ, "Now what?"

Why'd they always ask me? "I don't know," Kevin replied.

Then a sound reached their ears. Something was coming, making its way through the trees toward them. The lynx tensed. A loud snap was heard, just behind them.

The lynx sprung...
Chapter 8 by Refuse
They all stood frozen in their spots, simply staring as the lynx bounded toward them. Then, their stares turned confused. They watched as the lynx growled and ran past them. Kevin looked at Brian, What just happened here?

Brian seemed to know what he was thinking and just shrugged, he wasn't complaining. Then a bloodcurdling scream echoed through the night, causing each of them to cringe at the sound of it.

"Ahhhh! Get it off! Help me, dammit! Ahhhh!"

Crack! Crack!

The crack of two gunshots reverberated around them, an animal howl of pain soon answering the shots. When they turned around to the direction the lynx ran, they were met with a disturbing sight. Through the musky night, they could make out two forms. One was standing over the other that was lying on the ground, a dead lynx sprawled at their feet. They could see that the man on the ground was covered in blood and not moving.

Howie spoke, "Maybe we should see if they need some help."

"Yeah," agreed Kevin, "Lets go."

They walked to the men, the one standing heard their approach and whipped around in their direction, rifle at the ready. They saw his tense stance relax in recognition, but the rifle stayed aimed in their direction. The guys stopped at Nick's venom filled voice...

"Jake."

The man smiled, "Why Nick, my boy! How good of you to stop by!"

"What the hell are you doing here?" Nick hissed out, his piercing blue eyes shooting daggers at Jake. The guys stared at Nick, stunned. They've never seen him like this before, he was so... intimidating. It looked as if he could snap at any moment to attack the man before them. Kevin stepped closer to Nick and placed a calming hand on his shoulder. His brow furrowed, he could feel Nick shaking in rage.

"Jus' keepin' an eye on you boys. Boss' orders," Jake answered simply, seemingly oblivious to the rage filled twenty year old before him. Jake nudged the man beside him with his foot, the form eliciting a groan, "Until Cal here snapped a twig and got the attention of that beast. Now I gotta haul his ass back to get patched up," he sneered, once again kicking the form.

"Well," Nick growled, "don't let us keep you. Please, haul his sorry ass and your own the hell out of here. NOW."

Jake's eyes narrowed and he looked Nick up and down, "What do we have here? You finally developin' some backbone? I must say that this surprises me, you weren't all high and mighty the last time." Jake smiled. "What do ya say? You wanna have a go at it? Right here, right now. Just you and me, man to... whatever the hell you are."

Kevin swore he heard Nick snarl just before he saw Nick begin to walk toward Jake. Kevin quickly wrapped an arm around Nick, stopping him, "Whoa, Nick. Just what the hell do you think you're doin'?"

Nick winced at the dull pain Kevin's grip caused his scraped side, but pushed it away and continued to try and evade Kevin's hold. Nick turned to face Kevin behind him, saying in a frightening monotone, "The man just gave me an offer I can't refuse." Then Nick turned back and almost escaped Kevin's stunned grasp.

Kevin couldn't get Nick's face out of his mind. He was dead serious, Kevin saw it in his eyes. "No, Nick. You can and will refuse it. We're leavin', NOW."

Kevin began to drag Nick away, ignoring his protests. Brian, AJ, and Howie followed in stunned silence, leaving the smirking man behind.

Kevin dragged Nick a good mile away before even thinking of letting the infuriated blond go. He couldn't believe the things that were coming out of his young friend's mouth.

"Damn it, Kevin!... Let me GO! Let me the fuck GO! ... You bastard! I swear, if you don't let me go, I'll fuckin' rip you apart!... You son of a bitch! Let! Me! GO!... Brian! Get him the fuck offa me! ..." Brian ignored him, too stunned to respond. "Fine! You're just like him then! You don't give a flyin' fuck, do you?! ... AJ!... Howie!... You gonna do somethin'?! ... " Silence. "Bastards! Kevin, you asshole! ... Let me go, damn it!"

Kevin had had enough. He roughly flung Nick face first onto the ground, feeling only slight regret at Nick's grunt of pain as he whipped around to face him with a hand clamped to his shoulder. Nick's face was red in anger and hurt, he glared up at Kevin before he sprang to his feet and threw a hard right at Kevin's face. Kevin stumbled back, both from the force of impact as well as shock. He gritted his teeth and straightened, facing down Nick as he threw another punch. Kevin was prepared this time and grabbed Nick's wrist in mid swing. Nick growled and used his left arm, it also becoming caught in Kevin's fierce grip.

"Let me go!" Nick yelled, his voice still filled with anger. He pulled against Kevin's hold, ignoring his throbbing shoulder. Kevin's grip never lessened, if anything, it tightened. Nick squeezed his eyes shut, continuing to try and pull away from Kevin, although, his struggles were weakening.

"Let me go, Kevin!" Nick cried, his voice cracking as tears escaped his closed eyes. His struggles weakened more, "Let me go." Nick's voice now came across strained and laden with anguish.

Kevin's eyes softened as he watched Nick crumble before him. Nick's legs buckled and Kevin fell to his knees with him. Nick kneeled, sitting on one of his feet and his head bowed low as he hunched over. Sobs shook his form as he struggled to hold himself in check.

Kevin still held onto Nick's wrists, feeling Nick trembling as he broke down in tears. Kevin's own eyes misted as he looked to the others. Brian, Howie and AJ stood frozen. Brian finally snapped out of it and joined Kevin at Nick's side, resting a hand on Nick's back, feeling him flinch at the touch.

"Nick?" Brian choked out, seeing his friend like this was tearing him up. "Nick? Come on, what's wrong?"

Kevin and Brian exchanged glances at the chuckle that was emitted from Nick. Nick tore his wrists from Kevin's now loose hold and turned his tear streaked face toward them. Some of the previous anger still lingered in the bloodshot, blue orbs, "Wrong?... What's wrong?" Nick shook his head, looking at the ground before him, "What kind of a question is that, Bri'?... Everything's wrong!"

Kevin used his hand to turn Nick's face toward him, "Nick, what the hell just happened? You were out of control... you hit me."

Nick turned his head away from Kevin, lowering his eyes, "I'm sorry, Kev. I- I didn't mean to hit you... I- I jus-"

AJ and Howie moved in close, kneeling before Nick. Nick was now surrounded by his friends.

"Just what, Nick?" asked AJ softly. Seeing Nick freak out like that really shook him.

Clear liquid again filled Nick's eyes as he looked at his friends around him. Nick wasn't really sure. He was fine before they approached Jake, but when he saw him there... It all just came together for him, all at once everything he'd been feeling since this whole deal started came upon him in a rush. All he felt was hatred for Jake, he wanted to rip his heart out... If he even had one. Then Kevin dragged him away, he had all that anger and no one to release it on... but his friends. Nick couldn't stop himself as he called his friends every name in the book, even as he attacked Kevin, it was like he was detached from what his body was doing. He couldn't stop and he hated himself for losing control of his emotions. Nick finally answered AJ, "I- I just... I just lost it! Okay?!"

"But why, Nick?" asked Howie, "You were fine before. Then when the lynx attacked and we approached those men... You knew that guy. You even called him by his name. How'd you know, Nick?"

Nick ducked his head back down, the clear liquid spilling out of his eyes and falling down his face. He didn't answer. Brian had a nagging suspicion, "You met him before, didn't you." This was not a question, but a statement of fact. Nick barely moved his head in a nod. Brian sighed and closed his eyes, "When?" he breathed.

No answer.

Brian opened his eyes and caught Nick's gaze, "When, Nick."

"Wh- when I took off that first time... When you came looking for me," Nick managed to get out.

Memory flicked in Brian's sky blue eyes, "That's why you were so spaced out when I found you... What did he do, Nick?"

Again Nick failed to answer Brian.

Brian's voice became demanding, "What did he do to you?"

"He just waved a knife in my face. He was just tryin' to scare me," Nick said this quickly, not liking the questioning.

"Just tryin' to scare you?" asked Brian, doubt easily heard in his voice. "That why you have that cut? The one you didn't tell us about? You didn't get it when we fell down the hill, I know what I knife wound looks like. He was gonna do more than just scare you, Nick. What made him stop?"

Nick gave up trying to avoid the questions and answered Brian, "You."

Brian looked confused, "Me?"

"Yeah, you," nodded Nick, "He took off when you called out for me. God, Brian. If you hadn't of came... He was going to kill me, Bri'." Nick rubbed a hand against his throat, remembering.

"But he didn't, and he never will either. I can promise you that," assured Kevin, breaking into the conversation.

Nick looked up at him and winced, seeing the bruising already forming on Kevin's jaw, "God, Kev. I'm really sorry about that." Nick gestured to Kevin's jaw at his confused look.

Kevin brought a hand up to rub the tender area, "Aw, its not that bad. Don't worry about it, I know you didn't mean it. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time." Kevin smiled, trying to reassure Nick.

"No," stated Nick, "That's no excuse. I shouldn't of done it, I shouldn't have said the things I did either... I really hate myself for it. I never should of let myself lose control."

"Don't say that, Nick," Howie broke in, "You've been holding it all in for way too long. Its not good for you to keep it all in like that, this is what can happen if you do. From now on, don't take it all on yourself. We're all in this together, remember?"

Nick smiled, "Yeah, I know. I just didn't know what to do."

"Relax, buddy," smiled AJ, "Just remember what we've said, that's what counts. We're in this together, we started it together, we'll end it together." AJ glanced at Kevin and his eyes twinkled, "Just remind me to never get you mad at me."

This brought a laugh from Nick, "You've been warned."

Howie looked around and yawned, "Well, I guess we should turn in. We've had a long day, we need to get some sleep."

Kevin nodded, "Yeah, lets get some rest, guys." He turned back to Nick, "You okay now?"

Nick gave him a smile, but Kevin noticed that it didn't quite reach his eyes, "Yeah, Kev. I'm okay now."

"Just remember we're here if you want to talk, 'kay?" Kevin added, wanting Nick to know he could confide in them. Kevin didn't want a reoccurrence of what just happened.

Nick's eyes were half closed as he straightened his legs out and laid back, "Yeah, I know Kev. I'll remember."

"Good," stated Kevin, also lying back on the moist ground. The others followed suit and they were all on the brink of dreamland when Nick's whisper brought them fully awake again. They could tell that Nick was only half conscious from his tone.

"Kev?"

"Yeah?" breathed Kevin through a yawn.

"When can we go home?" Nick whispered, then was asleep.

Kevin sat up, looking down at Nick's sleeping form. He glanced at the others, they were worried about Nick. This was getting to be too much for him.

Kevin reached forward with his hand and gently brushed the blond hair away from Nick's forehead. He sighed, "Soon, Nick... Soon."



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



"Ow! Take it easy, will ya?!"

"Aw, shut up, Cal!" growled Jake, roughly dragging the man along and back to the cabin, "You know how much shit I'm gonna get for this?"

Cal managed a grin, "A lot."

Jake sneered. The boss wasn't gonna like this. He finally reached the cabin, Cal was only half conscious. Jake kicked the door open and dragged him inside, chucking him none too gently onto the couch. He grinned at Cal's grunt of pain, "Stay."

Jake then went to tell the boss the great news. He found her staring at the blank monitors, the oil lamps casting a foreboding mood on the room. Jake nervously cleared his throat, "Uhhh... Boss?"

She slowly turned around, her icy glare meeting Jake full on, "What are you doing back?"

Jake cringed, "Um, we sorta had some trouble. Cal got attacked by a lynx. He's pretty messed up, but alive."

The woman's face darkened and she slowly stood, "What?"

Jake felt himself begin to panic as he backed up against the wall as she slowly walked toward him, casually checking the chambers in her gun, "There was nothin' I could do boss! I killed the cat, but not before it cut him up some. Its not too bad, he should be able to get around once he's fixed up. Boss!"

Crack! Crack! Crack!

Three shots, three hits.

Jake stood with eyes shut tight and his breath coming in gasps. There was a neat bullet hole in the wall on the right side of his head, the left side of his head, and... right between his legs.

Then the woman simply tossed the gun on the ground and left the room to go fix Cal up. Jake stood, shaking. Then his legs buckled and he slid to the floor. He wiped his hand across his sweaty brow. Damn



///////Day6\\\

///////EarlyMorning\\\



A small shadow darts along the ground, leaping over small branches and dodging around trees. It comes across a familiar sight, a sight that is its goal. It quickly scans the red saturated ground, steering clear of the dead cat lying immobile a foot away.

Small whiskers quiver as it turns its nose up in the air, sniffing cautiously. Its jerky movements cover the ground, searching. It perks up at a glimmer in the gray night. A squeak of triumph comes from its small mouth as it scampers over to its prize.

Squeaker stops before a slender, smooth black object. A cell phone. He saw the man drop it in his struggle with the big cat, Squeaker had a feeling that it would help his new friends. He wanted to bring it to them, to help them. He could see that they were sad, even scared. Squeaker didn't want them sad or scared, he wanted them happy.

Squeaker's small clawed hands pawed at the black cell phone, which matched his body in length. A squeak of frustration was heard as he angrily jumped on the phone. It was too big for him to carry. Squeaker sat in thought, scanning the forest around him. He stiffened at movement not far off in the shadows. As it came closer, he relaxed.

A scruffy raccoon ambled toward him, turning a wide birth around the dead lynx. Its gentle brown eyes gazed at Squeaker questioningly, switching from the cell phone to the now excited squirrel. It watched as Squeaker made wild motions, trying to make him understand. From what he could decipher, the raccoon thought the squirrel wanted the cell phone carried somewhere. The raccoon gazed at the pleading black eyes, deciding to help the gray squirrel. He nodded his head and ambled to the black cell, picking it up in his long hands and looking toward the squirrel for direction.

Squeaker jumped up and motioned toward where the guys were a mile away, and quickly scampered back to his friends, the raccoon shuffling along with its small burden.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



AJ's eyes cracked open, confused. Something was jumping on him. When his eyes focused, Squeaker's face stared right back at him.

"Squeaker?" AJ mumbled, "What do you want? I'm tired."

AJ's eyes drifted closed, but they popped back open when Squeaker squeaked loudly and jumped on his face. "What the-! Squeaker! What is it?!"

AJ forced himself to sit up and turned at the sound of laughter. Kevin, Nick, Howie, and Brian sat snickering at him. They obviously just witnessed his rude wake up call. AJ threw them an indignant glare and then turned his attention back to Squeaker, who was still jumping up and down.

AJ quirked an eyebrow, "What the hell is wrong with you, Squeaker?"

Squeaker answered by darting into the early morning shadows, obviously wanting AJ to follow him. With a sigh, AJ pushes himself to his feet and stumbles after the weird squirrel.

The guys laugh, watching AJ disappear after Squeaker. They wondered who was in charge, AJ or the squirrel. They get serious as AJ's yell fills the air.

"Guys!"

They glanced at each other and then quickly make their way to where AJ had disappeared. They stopped dead in their tracks at the sight that greeted them. AJ was crouched on the ground, facing a raccoon a few feet away. Squeaker was beside the raccoon, trying to persuade it to go to AJ. After a bit of coaxing, the raccoon cautiously ambled up to AJ. It dropped a black object and then quickly scampered away, disappearing into the forest.

AJ watched it go and then turned his attention to the black object. His eyes widened as he reached out to pick it up. He mutely stood and slowly walked over to the others. He stopped before Kevin, handing him the object.

Confused, Kevin stared at AJ before looking at the object. Kevin's eyes widened, "A cell phone?!"

Howie's jaw dropped, "A cell phone? ... Where the hell did they get a cell phone?!"

Kevin shook his head, "I don't know, but I don't care either. This could be the best thing that could of happened to us. We could get out of here if this thing works... Once we find out where in Alaska we are."

"Well," said Nick, his voice sounding cynical, "That shouldn't be too hard."

Their eyes flicked to Nick, concerned. Brian spoke, "We'll figure it out. We have to."

Kevin nodded, "We've been lucky so far, maybe luck will help us out again." Kevin opened the cell phone and clicked it on, hesitantly bringing it to his ear. A smile broke on his face, "It works."

The others let out a breath in relief, "Now what?" Asked AJ, scooping up Squeaker and giving him a cookie he had in his pocket.

Kevin looked to the Northwest, "We're almost at the cabin, I know we've covered enough distance to be just about there... And somethin's been bothering me."

They glance at each other, "What, Kev?" asked Howie.

"Back there, with those guys," Kevin noticed Nick flinch at the reminder, he continued quickly, "They were following us, we even heard them. They weren't so obvious before... Then, now, there is this cell phone..."

"Yeah, so?" urged Brian.

"That storm was pretty bad, a lot of lightning. I don't think that woman can see us anymore. Have you noticed that she hasn't called us on the radio? She should of called us after the cat incident, she always called us after we had a close call... I don't think they have the power to monitor us like before, and this cell phone... Squeaker must have gotten it from one of those guys. There's blood on it." Kevin finished by pointing out the dried blood on the cell phone.

"So," commented AJ, "We can do what we want, she won't know?"

Kevin shook his head, "Nope, and her goons are back at the cabin I assume. I think that's where her base is, why else would she want us to go there unless she was waiting there for us?"

Brian stepped forward, hope now present in his eyes, "So... what do we do Kev?"

Kevin looked at each of their faces, his eyes lingering on Nick's downcast face. I want this done, over, finished... NOW. He looked back to the Northwest, "We keep moving to the cabin, when we have it in sight..."

"What, Kev?" questioned Howie.

"I'll tell you when we get there."

The 'Boys walked... and walked. None of them said a word. They all wondered what Kevin had in mind. Nick didn't know what to think, even with the cell phone in their possession... Nick found himself losing hope.

Kevin put an arm out to stop them. The dusk of night had again fallen on the five, Kevin pointed. There, through the maze of trees on a slight incline, stood a small cabin. A soft yellow glow emanated from the sparse windows.

Brian stared, "That's it?"

Kevin nodded, "Has to be."

Howie stepped up beside Kevin and crossed his arms, "Okay, Kev. What were you going to tell us."

A sad smile turned Kevin's mouth, "I have a plan."
Chapter 9 by Refuse
"Plan?" asked Howie, his eyes looking over Kevin's face warily, "What do you mean by plan?"

Kevin ducked his head slightly, "Just what it means, a plan. A plan to take back our lives."

Silence filled the confines of their small group. After a few long minutes, AJ seemed to find his voice, "So... What I'm getting from this is... You have a plan to attack the cabin?"

Kevin nodded and looked at his incredulous friends, "That's exactly what I mean. What else are we supposed to do? Walk up there and surrender ourselves?" Kevin stared hard into each pair of eyes, "You know what will happen if we do that. Atleast this way we'll have a chance."

"Yeah!" yelled Brian, his eyes wide with fear, "A chance to get ourselves KILLED!"

Kevin looked at his cousin patiently, "And what do you think will happen if we jus' walk up there like that woman wants us to, Bri'? She'll pick us off one by one. This whole deal was for her to watch us go through hell to get here, that was her game. She wants to end it herself. I say WE end it."

Kevin watched each of his friends' faces, seeing their different thoughts play across them. AJ and Howie seemed to reluctantly agree with him, Brian looked as though he understood and knew it was their only option, though Kevin could still see the apprehension in his eyes, and Nick... Nick looked like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. His eyes were fixed on the cabin, something akin to terror on his pale face.

Kevin continued, "We don't really have any choice."

Faces and eyes fell, acknowledging the fact. A fact they all knew as true. In a way, they didn't have anything to lose. Either way was dangerous, putting their lives at risk, but this way they had some semblance of control... not much, but some.

Howie sighed and brought his eyes up, "Okay Kev, what's the plan?"

Kevin smiled, "Well... its... uhhh..."

AJ stepped forward, "You just said you did have a plan..."

Kevin cleared his throat, "Well, yeah, I do. Its just... Well, there isn't all that much to it."

They waited, but Kevin didn't continue. Brian couldn't take it, "Well, tell us for God's sake!"

Kevin jumped, "All right! Jeez! Okay... I guess my plan is... uhhh, to scope out the cabin through the windows to see where they are and then to... to have a couple of us knock on the door for a diversion and the rest of us will go through the windows to catch them from behind."

They stared.

"That's IT?" asked AJ, incredulous.

"Do you have a better idea?" asked Kevin, stung.

"Hell yeah!" cried AJ, taking a few steps toward the cabin. "Why don't we just walk up and say: 'Insert bullet here'." AJ points a finger to middle of his forehead.

Kevin gave AJ a stern look, "Well, it's the only thing I can think of. So, unless someone has a better idea..." Silence. "I guess its settled then."

Nick's eyes danced from one friend to the next, shocked. We're going to the cabin and confront that... that... Nick couldn't continue the thought. This was just too much, this whole thing... way too much.

"All right, Kev," acquiesced Howie, "How and when do we do this?"

"I think now is as good a time as any," Kevin thought aloud, "We'll have some cover with the darkness and they hopefully won't be expecting us 'til tomorrow." Kevin looked his friends over, thinking, "AJ and Howie, you'll be the ones that'll create the distraction while Nick, Brian, and I will be at the windows."

Kevin watched to see if there were any objections, finding none he continued, "Okay, I guess we should start then."

They each darted nervous glances at the cabin in the distance before making any move to put their 'plan' in action. Being in no hurry, they carefully stepped through the forest bush, not wanting to make a sound that might alert those in the distance. Howie sidled up to Kevin.

"You think this'll work, Kev?" he asked, nervous.

Kevin stopped, then continued, ducking under a low branch. He looked into Howie's wide brown eyes, "I don't know, 'D... I just don't know."

Howie forced a chuckle, "Well, it can't get any worse, can it?"

They paused and looked from each other, to the cabin, then back to each other. Kevin closed his eyes, "Yes... yes it can."

AJ and Brian followed behind Kevin and Howie, blissfully unaware of their conversation. Both too caught up in their own fear and unsure thoughts to notice.

Nick lagged behind, alone. He stared at his friends' backs, noticing the reluctance of each step they took, the bowed heads and slumped shoulders. It was like watching a death march. Nick cringed. Okay, not one of the words I most wanna hear right now. We'll make it. AJ said we'll end this together. I say we'll end this together alive.

As they neared the cabin, their hearts began to race. The ones that took them away to this place, the ones that hurt them, the ones that scared the shit out of them... were within the walls of the cabin before them. Kevin stopped, now only a few feet away from one of the glowing windows. When the others had reached him and Howie, he motioned them forward. Together, they crept to the window, anxious to know where their captors were.

Kevin motioned them to stop, then he cautiously poked his head to the window, his body flat against the rough log wall. Half of Kevin's face now could be seen from within the cabin, if anyone took the chance to look. No one did. Kevin's one eye quickly took in the scene and then he darted his head back. Just that one act made Kevin's breath quicken in fear.

AJ, Brian, Nick, and Howie all looked at him questioningly. Kevin took a breath and whispered, "They're all in there. I saw Jake standin' by a couch next to a woman that was bent over that other guy, who's lying on the couch. She must be patching him up, he's the one that was attacked by that cat."

They all nodded, showing Kevin that they understood. Kevin ran a nervous hand through his hair, "Okay," he whispered, "I think now's when we gotta do it. They're distracted and one of them's down. We have to do it now."

They all again nodded. Howie rubbed the back of his neck, trying to get rid of the tension he suddenly felt. Brian kept running his shaking hand through his tousled hair and nervously tugging at the makeshift sling that held his injured arm, his eyes fixed to the window. Nick had his arms hugged around his frame, his eyes closed while he took deep, slow breaths.

AJ took Squeaker out of his pocket and set the squirrel on the ground, squatting to be closer to its level. He had a sad expression on his face as he whispered, the others able to hear every word, "Okay, Squeaks. You gotta get outta here, you hear? Go on, get!" AJ shoved the shocked squirrel away, trying to get his point across to the gray animal. Squeaker stayed. AJ sighed, looking up at the sky. He took a cookie out of his pocket, seeing Squeaker's eyes brighten at the sight of it. "You want this cookie?" he asked, waving it in front of the tempted squirrel, "Well, go get it!" AJ chucked the cookie out into the darkness, making sure Squeaker saw its flight path. He watched sadly as his squirrel bounded off after the tempting treat.

AJ stood and looked to his friends, seeing their sympathetic expressions. Kevin stepped up to him, reaching a hand out to squeeze AJ's shoulder, "You had to do it, buddy. Its better this way."

AJ just looked at the ground and nodded. "I'm gonna miss the little guy, though."

"Yeah," Kev smiled sadly, "We all will. C'mon, lets do this before we chicken out."

They whispered over their plan again before taking up their positions. AJ and Howie silently made their way to the door. Brian worked his way around to the other side of the cabin, stopping before a window and saying a silent prayer. Nick went to one of the back windows, feeling his chest tighten in fear and adrenaline. Kevin stayed at the window they were just gathered around, leaning heavily against the wall in waiting. They all now waited for AJ and Howie to make their move. None of them knowing what was about to happen, just praying that in the end it would all fall in their favor.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Jake stood with his arms crossed, staring down as his boss gave Cal a drink of water. Cal was all bandaged up, the boss had already cleaned and disinfected the slashes across his chest. Jake had watched her face as she had done that and could see the satisfaction she took in Cal's pain. He enjoyed it also, but the boss was a different matter. She didn't give a damn about them and would either leave them for dead or kill them if she didn't need them so much.

Jake was gonna be as useful as possible.

A movement flashed in the corner of Jake's eye, he whipped his head around, searching. He narrowed his eyes, he was sure he had seen something. Suspicious, Jake uncrossed his arms and moved away from the couch. He was drawn to the back room, he just reached the open doorway to the back room when a knock resounded from the front door. He spun around, even more alert. Something was up.

The boss had straightened and looked toward the door. The knock came again and she stood, facing the door. Cal sat up, forcing himself to stand. Jake watched tensely as the boss and Cal strode to the door.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



AJ had knocked again when he heard no movement from inside. This time he and Howie heard loud footfalls coming toward the door and their hearts jumped to their throats as they flattened themselves against the cabin at either side of the door. They stared at each other as the footsteps stopped, this was it.

The door whipped open and a man stepped into the open doorway, unable to see AJ and Howie in the contrast of the lit up cabin to the darkness outside. AJ could see the woman just behind the man and then Howie and he sprung. AJ went after the unprepared woman as Howie lunged to tackle the man.

Howie caught the man about the middle and they crashed to the hard wood floor inside the cabin. Howie heard the man grunt in pain and saw his gun knocked from his hand and slide across the smooth floor. The man surprised Howie, though, with a hard left to his face. The force of it knocked Howie to the side and freed the man from his grasp.

AJ had more than he bargained for with the woman. She was kicking and clawing at him. This chick was strong. He had a good hold of her though as he laid on his back on the floor, his arms wrapped around her arms and middle as she kicked and struggled. She was screaming in rage and the sound made him cringe in annoyance, then a sharp pain lanced through his forearm, causing his grip to loosen and the woman pushed out of his hold. AJ grasped his arm, seeing the small about of blood. She bit me! The bitch bit me! AJ saw her crawling to the gun on the floor and he lunged after her.

"Oh, no you don't!" he yelled, the woman swearing loudly as he snatched her foot and dragged her back.

Cal climbed to his feet and turned to kick at the man he had just hit.

"Hey!"

Cal spun around at the yell, just in time for a fist to the face. He cried out and grasped his bleeding nose with both hands, knowing it was broken. He squinted through a red haze at a tall man with black hair and fierce green eyes, Cal took an involuntary step back.

Kevin glared at the man and then bent over to give Howie a hand up.

"Thanks," Howie gasped, his hand massaging his jaw.

"You bastard! Let me the fuck GO!" screamed a female voice.

Kevin and Howie turned to see AJ trying to hold onto a woman, a woman putting up one hell of a fight. Their attention was quickly brought back to themselves though, as Cal recovered somewhat and attacked.

Kevin bent over with a grunt as a force connected with his middle, feeling himself get pushed to the ground. He landed hard and felt his head crack against the hard wooden floor. Stars flashed across his vision as he struggled to his knees, not willing to take a hit lying down. Kevin saw the blur of Cal's legs before him and leaped forward and tackled him to the ground.

Howie had turned to help Kevin when he was first hit, but something broad sided him and he felt as if his head had exploded. Howie fell to the floor to look up at the intimidating form of Jake, his fists still clenched.

"Think you can take us, huh?" he growled.

Howie answered by springing to his feet and launching a fist around at Jake's sneering face. Howie's quickness had caught Jake unawares and he staggered back from the force of the blow. Jake straightened and wiped the blood from his face with the back of his hand, spitting more from his mouth. Then Jake paused. He reached in his mouth and pulled out a bloody tooth. He threw the tooth to the floor and glared at Howie before him.

"You're gonna pay for that, boy."

Jake pushed his sleeves up and attacked. Howie was overwhelmed by his fierce attack and soon fell to the floor. Blood ran from his nose and mouth as he clutched his middle, bringing his legs up in an effort to lessen the pain.

Jake moved in to add to his assault when a muffled thump came to his ears. He slowly turned, his eyes falling on the back room's doorway. With an evil smile, Jake left the form curled on the floor and walked to the back room.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick had heard the knock and the muffled sounds of a struggle, his heart hammering in his chest as he finally got the window open. He had some difficulty getting in as it was higher than the others. He managed to get his leg in, but when he tried to pull himself through his shoulder gave out. His support suddenly gone, Nick fell into the cabin. He landed on his injured side with a loud bang. Nick clenched his teeth as pain shot through his shoulder and side, noticing the pain in his side felt worse than before. Damn it! Must of cracked some ribs. God, Carter... you're just real graceful, aren't ya?

Eyes clenched shut, Nick pushed himself up into a sitting position. He could hear the fight in the other room and forced himself to his feet. He leaned against the wall to catch his breath before he charged into the other room to help his friends. He was about to do just that when a sound caused his eyes to snap open and his heart to stop dead.

"Well, if it isn't my old friend Nicky."

"Jake," Nick gasped, his breath suddenly leaving him.

Nick watched, frozen, as Jake came toward him. "Its nice of ya to join the party, boy. I was getting tired of beating the crap out of that other one." Jake smiled.

Nick's eyes widened, then narrowed dangerously. "You son of a bitch!" Nick pushed away from the wall and launched himself at Jake. Jake just smiled and waited for him. Then, at the last moment, Jake spun to the side and grabbed Nick's arm as he went past.

Nick couldn't move. Even if he wanted to. One moment he was just about to clobber Jake, the next he had his right arm wrenched behind his back and a knife at his throat.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," scolded Jake from behind Nick, "Such manners, Nicky. Lets say we go and join your friends, eh? Put a stop to this whole mess."

Nick tried to pull his arm from Jake's grasp, attempting to twist away. Jake answered by yanking his arm further up and pressing the knife harder against Nick's throat. Nick gasped and arched his body out in pain and fear.

"None of that now, Nicky," growled Jake, "You jus' do what I want and you might live a few more minutes to see your friends."

Nick could only stumble along as Jake pushed him into the suddenly silent room ahead of them.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Meanwhile, Brian wasn't one for cursing often, but right now he was muttering every single swear word in the book. He struggled with the window, but was unable to open it. It was jammed and he had only one arm to try and bust it loose with.

"Damn it!" cried Brian in frustration, slamming his fist against the frame. He had only one other choice, he had to break the window. Brian spun around and scanned the ground. After a few anxious minutes of searching the darkness, he found a good sized rock and picked it up. He stopped before the window and threw it with all his might, hearing the glass shatter to the ground.

Brian quickly scrambled through the window, ignoring the pain as glass still in the frame cut his arm and leg, tearing through his clothes. He stumbled, but managed to get his other leg through the window to catch himself. Brian ran to the next room, past the monitors and chairs. He burst into the main room and stopped in shock of the chaos before him.

AJ fought with a woman, both of them rolling across the floor in their struggles. Kevin was beating the crap out of some blond guy with blood all over his face. Then Brian saw Howie, he was curled up on the floor and not moving. Brian's gut clenched. Brian went to Howie, falling to his knees. His eyes roved over Howie's form, taking in the damage. Brian hesitantly reached his hand out, afraid of what he might find.

"Howie?"

Brian's hand touched Howie's shoulder. Howie groaned. Brian released the breath he didn't know he was holding, "Howie? 'D? ... C'mon, man, speak to me."

Howie slowly rolled onto his back, cracking his eyes open to look at Brian's worried face above him. "Bri'?" he croaked.

"Yeah, 'D, its me. You gonna be okay? How bad are ya hurt?"

Howie gritted his teeth and was able to move into a sitting position with Brian's help. "I'll be... fine... in a minute," gasped Howie, clutching his middle.

Brian was about to say 'yeah, right' when a cry caught his attention. His head spun around and then he jumped to his feet. Brian ran as fast as he could toward AJ, who was holding a hand to his face and trying to grab the woman that was scrambling across the floor after... a gun.

Brian slid into a dive and snatched the gun away just when the woman grabbed at it, hearing her scream of protest. Brian slowly got to his feet, "All right," he said loudly and calmly, getting everyone's attention. "Nobody move, this stops now."

The woman glared up at Brian, but stopped. AJ gazed up at Brian as if he were an angel, then he fell back and tried to calm his breathing and racing heart. Kevin stopped in mid swing at hearing his cousin's voice, dropping the half conscious Cal to the ground when he saw Brian holding a gun on the woman. Howie sighed in relief and scooted back until he could lean his weight against the wall.

Brian stared at the woman, "Go and sit on the couch." Brian motioned to her with the gun, she reluctantly did as she was told, fuming at being ordered to do anything.

Brian chanced a glance at Kevin and the others, "You guys okay?"

AJ thrust an arm in the air, "Just peachy!"

Kevin smiled, "I'm all right."

Brian turned to Howie, "Howie?"

Howie shifted and grimaced, but smiled, "I'll be okay."

Brian smiled, then the color drained from his face and he looked frantically about, "Where's Nick?" he gasped.

"Right here."

Every gaze fell on Jake, who was holding a pale Nick with a knife at his throat. The woman smiled.

Brian's heart skipped a beat, "Nick?"

Nick opened his eyes and looked sadly at Brian, "Hey, Frick." Then Nick winced as Jake twisted his arm.

"All right," Jake's rough voice boomed out, "Nobody moves, or Nicky here is gonna have a new hole in 'im."

Kevin and Howie stayed frozen, staring in shock. AJ slowly sat up, his eyes burning in anger at seeing Nick being held by that beast. He knew from experience what it was like.

Jake moved further into the room, Nick closing his eyes as the movement jostled his arm twisted behind his back and caused the knife to move against his skin. Jake's steely stare settled on Brian, who still had the gun pointed at his boss. Jake smiled.

"All's well, son," he said, referring to Brian, "So, if you don't mind, hand the gun over." At Brian's hesitation, Jake jerked on Nick's arm, causing him to cry out and his eyes to snap open. Brian quickly handed Jake the gun, fear for his best friend too great of an incentive. Jake grinned while carefully wedging Nick's arm he held behind the youth's back against his body, releasing that hand to purchace the gun. He chucked the gun to the boss, who neatly snatched it out of the air, rising from the couch languidly and sauntering over to Brian. She leveled the gun at Brian's head, Brian closed his eyes and swallowed.

The lady sneered, "Not so confident now, are you?... What is there to stop me from just shooting you right now?" Brian's eyes shot open, the fear in their blue depths easily seen by his friends. The woman smiled, the evil in her eyes sending a chill up Brian's spine, "I'll tell you what, I'm gonna make each and every one of you suffer. You'll each watch as one of you goes through hell, but don't worry, you'll each get your own turn in time." Then she laughed, the pure sound of it causing each of them to involuntarily shiver. "But," she continued, "I'll leave you alone until tomorrow. After all," she smiled, turning to Kevin, "I gave you seven days, correct?"

Kevin didn't answer, the woman's eyes flashed in anger, "Correct?"

Kevin managed to nod, How did it turn out like this? We were so close...

"Good boy," she smiled, she then turned to Jake with appraising eyes, "You have redeemed yourself, Jakie." She walked up to Jake and Nick as Jake recaptured Nick's arm behind his back, placing the tip of the gun against Nick's temple. She smiled at the gasps behind her and stared into Nick's fear filled blue eyes. "Its just such a shame, Nicky," she said, her eyes watching as she traced the gun down his face, "you were by far the most interesting to watch. Such a display of conflict: fear, shame, guilt, pain, even the bravery..." she shook her head and took the gun away, frowning, "Such a shame."

Turning, her face brightened in a wide smile, "Well! Jake, tie them up and then meet me in the observation room." She paused, staring disgustedly at Cal's half conscious form, "And bring Cal's sorry ass with you." Then the woman handed Jake the gun, forcing him to release Nick's arm, but keep the knife in its position. The woman turned on her heels and walked from the room. She entered the observation room, closing the door behind her and leaning against it, a demonic smile turning her thin red lips as she planned the next day in her sick mind.

"All right!" declared Jake, taking the knife away from Nick's throat and spinning him away to fall on the floor. Nick managed to catch himself with his good arm and it broke his fall, he's now lying on his right side leaning on his elbow and staring up at Jake's sneering face, absently rubbing a hand against his throat. He barely acknowledges it when Brian appears at his side, placing a comforting hand on his back. Jake just smiled.

"Cal! Get yer lazy ass up and get the rope!" With a grunt, Cal managed to get up and he went to the other room for the rope, returning in a couple minutes with several coils.

"All right," spoke Jake, taking the rope as he handed Cal the gun, "Cal, you keep them covered while's I tie 'em up."

Cal nodded, leaning against the wall for support as he trained the gun on our five guys. Jake went to Kevin first, seeing him as the greatest threat, "Okay, macho man, come 'ere."

Jake motioned him to the couch, Kevin did as told with reluctance as his fists clenched with the urge to punch Jake's lights out. Jake chuckled, seeing this, "You jus' wait 'till tomorrow, macho. You'll get yer chance."

Soon Kevin, AJ, Howie, Brian, and Nick were all placed around the room with their hands tied behind their backs. Kevin and AJ were on the couch, Howie was where he was before on the floor leaning against the wall, Brian was sitting in a wooden chair without armrests, and Nick was on the floor against the wall facing Brian who was six feet in front of him. The couch sat against the wall to the left side of Nick and Brian, and Howie was beside the door on the opposite side of the room as Nick.

Jake surveyed them for a few minutes before smiling and heading to the observation room, hauling Cal by the arm. He tossed his head to the side and called, "You boys behave now, we don't wanna end the fun before it even begins." Jake's laughter was soon cut off by the closed door he and Cal disappeared into.

Kevin shifted, grimacing as he tried to get his hands out of the coarse rope. He sighed as the only result was rubbing his skin raw. Kevin's green gaze traveled the room, scanning over his friends.

AJ sat beside him, his brown eyes burning a hole into the door Jake had disappeared into. He was a bit pissed. AJ's fierce gaze only seemed to accent the three long scratches on his left cheek. The woman got a lick in it seemed.

Kevin's eyes switched to Howie. He was leaned up against the wall with his head back and eyes closed, one leg stretched before him and the other bent close to his chest. His face was beginning to show bruising and dried blood stained his skin. He didn't look too good.

Kev's eyes flicked to Brian, sitting in a wooden chair with his arms secured behind it. Brian sat stiffly, the position he was in was obviously uncomfortable, plus the fact that Jake had roughly released his injured arm from the sling and wrenched it behind his back. It had to be bothering him. Kevin noticed Brian's jeans were ripped at the side of his thigh, blood darkening the material. He noticed a similar rip on his upper arm. Kevin was about to ask Brian about this when he noticed Brian's face. Brian was staring at Nick, his features twisted in worry. Kevin followed his gaze, his eyes saddening in the state of the youngest member of their group.

Nick sat against the wall, his knees bent halfway to his chest with his head bowed low and resting on their support, he was slumped forward, his face hidden from view. They could both see his form shaking.

Brian looked helplessly at his best friend, feeling his shoulder throbbing and his cuts stinging. He didn't acknowledge that, only his friend before him. "Nick?" he strained out, "Nick, c'mon.... Say somethin', will ya?"

Nick heard Brian, but he didn't think his voice could work at the moment. Nick's eyes were squeezed shut as he tried to get the last few moments to stop replaying in his head. He couldn't get them to stop, the images, the feelings. Nick pressed his face into his knees further as the feeling of the cold barrel of the gun sliding down his face returned, Nick shook his head slightly as the cold steel of the knife could still be felt against his neck. Nick opened his eyes to stare at his legs, tears falling out of the corners of his blue eyes, "Oh, God..."

Brian heard Nick's hoarse groan, his voice sounding broken. "Nick?"

Nick finally lifted his head, he looked up at Brian, "Oh, God... Brian... I can't-... I jus' can't-"

"Its okay, Nick, its okay. We're all here with ya, remember?" Brian tried to soothe his friend, "Tell me, what's wrong?"

Nick blinked and more tears fell, "I can still feel it, Bri'."

Confusion clouded Brian's eyes, "Feel what, Frack?"

The use of his nickname caused Nick to smile slightly, "The knife, the gun..." Nick rubbed the side of his head against his shoulder at the cold sensation running across his face, just as the gun had felt. He shivered.

Brian threw his head at Kevin, seeing the look on his cousin's face that confirmed that he heard. AJ and Howie were also staring at him and Nick, having heard every word. Brian didn't know what to do, he looked back at Nick who was staring off into space.

"Nick? You jus' gotta believe that we'll get through this," Brian had gotten Nick's attention, two sets of blue eyes were locked. "We will get out of this, Nick. I know we will. Do you believe me, Nick? That we'll make it?"

Nick stared at Brian, the hope was almost tangible in his best friend's voice. "I- I don't know, Bri'. I don't think I have any hope left."

Brian dropped his head, hearing the defeat in Nick's words. He brought his head back up when AJ spoke.

"Nick, you gotta believe we'll make it," AJ declared, "Remember Mick?

Nick winced.

"He went out of his way to help us, even after we told him about the woman and everything," AJ shook his head in wonder, "He still offered to help, knowing it was dangerous and he ended up losing his life for us. Its gotta be worth somethin'. If we can only do one thing to repay him, then we shouldn't give up. Never give up."

Nick slowly nodded his head. "I haven't given up yet, 'J. But... its hard."

AJ smiled and shifted his seat, "Yeah, I know kid. We just gotta work at it. We can't give up."

Nick smiled and seemed to sit a little straighter. Howie spoke, "What are we gonna do?"

They all turned to look at him, "I mean, what can we do? We're all tied up, how are we gonna stop them tomorrow?"

Kevin narrowed his eyes as he turned to the observation room door, "We'll just have to wait until tomorrow and find out. We'll find a way."

They sat in silence, each lost in their whirling emotions and thoughts. Kevin shifted and grimaced when his shoulders stiffened, "I think we might as well sleep. It'll make the time go faster and we'll be more alert after some rest."

Each agreed with Kevin and tried to get comfortable. Kevin and AJ settled on the couch. Howie and Nick laid on their sides on the floor. Brian couldn't do much, he just leaned his head back and eventually they all fell into restless sleep.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



The woman was truly happy. She now had the Backstreet Boys in her hands, to do with as she pleased. She was gonna just shoot them, but... since they formed a little rebellion... She decided she wouldn't give them the pleasure of a simple bullet. She wanted them to suffer.

She studied Jake's face, noticing the satisfaction in his features. "What's on your mind, Jake?"

His shifty eyes switched in her direction, "I have an idea."



///////Day7\\\



Brian came awake with a snap. Something had just hit him in the head... hard. When his sleep laden eyes focused, he remembered. It was kinda hard not to with Jake's ugly mug staring back at you. Brian glared up at him and then rolled his head, trying to get the kink out of it after having to sleep in the the chair. He couldn't even feel his arm anymore, it was completely numb. Jake seemed satisfied with his consciousness and stepped away from Brian. Brian watched as he kneeled beside Nick's sleeping form, he struggled against his ropes when he saw Jake take the knife out once again. Brian wasn't gonna let him do that to Nick again.

"Nick!" Brian shouted, desperately trying to wake his friend. "Nick! Wake up!"

AJ, Howie, and Kevin jerked awake at Brian's yells, joining him when they saw the situation.

"Nick! Wake UP!!"

Nick jumped, his eyes snapped open. All he saw was Jake and a knife. He gasped and scooted as best he could away, trying to put as much distance as possible between him and the deranged man.

Jake stayed where he was and just grinned, putting the knife away. "Time to wake up, Nicky."

Nick pushed himself into a sitting position, panting in fear. Talk about a rude awakening. Nick was getting tired of this. He was getting angry...

Jake stood and turned to the boss who was leaning against the door frame, smiling. Cal was pretty much out of it. That Kevin guy had beaten the crap out of him. He had a concussion, among other things. Cal just swayed back and forth and let his unfocused eyes roam the room. Jake didn't think he even knew where he was. Jake shrugged, they didn't need him anyway.

Jake walked up to his boss, receiving something from her. He smiled and then turned back to the guys, revealing what he had just been given. A colt conversion handgun.

"Well," Jake grinned, "I hope you all got a good night's sleep. It'll be your last, I assure you." Jake casually walked up to Brian, spinning the gun's chamber. "Now, I'm about to play a game... I'm wondering if you've heard of it?" Jake turned the gun up, letting the bullets fall to the floor, then he bent over and picked one up. He straightened, placing the lone bullet into the chamber and then spinning it before locking it into place. "I believe it is called..." Jake suddenly brought the gun around and touched the barrel to Brian's temple, then pulled the trigger. Brian's eyes widened in shock and he gasped as a hollow click sounded from the gun. "...Russian Roulette."

Brian closed his eyes, his breathing controlled and slow. He tried to stay calm, but... who was he kidding? Kevin, AJ, and Howie were still trying to register what just happened. Brian could of been dead, if the bullet had been in that shot...

Nick thought his best friend, his brother, was dead. Then the click reached his ears. First he felt shock, then pure fear, then... pure anger. Nick was NOT going to let them do this, he would NOT give up. He would end it.

Gritting his teeth, Nick worked furiously at his ropes, feeling the tender skin of his wrists tear. He continued, the blood giving him some movement... He had one hand out to his knuckles...

Jake laughed, cocked the gun, then pulled the trigger again.

click

Brian jerked.

...Nick felt his skin burn as he strained to release his hand... ...just about there...

The gun was cocked again, the trigger pulled...

click

...Got it!

Jake had no time to enjoy Brian's reaction as something slammed into him, knocking him to the floor.

Nick reached for the gun in Jake's hand, he had to get it before...

Jake realized what happened as he stared disbelievingly into Nick's determined face. How the hell did he get loose?! Jake knew he had only one bullet, but that was all he needed to finally take care of Nick. Finally, to have his revenge...

Nick grabbed Jake's hand as Jake brought the gun toward him, straining to keep it away from him. Jake and Nick rolled across the floor, fighting for their lives, the gun caught somewhere between them.

Brian, Kevin, Howie, and AJ could only watch as Nick struggled with Jake. They knew...

They knew that however this ended it would be the answer. The answer to whether they would live after this day or never see another...

They watched...

Then, each of them jerked at the loud report of a gunshot...

The two struggling forms of Jake and Nick abruptly... ...stopped...
Chapter 10 by Refuse
Brian was twisted around as far as could in his chair, straining to see Nick, to see him move. C'mon, Frack... C'mon... You gotta be okay... You just gotta...

"NICK! ... Nick, c'mon! You gotta be okay! ... Nick, please! Nick!"



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick had heard the gunshot... Hell, he'd felt it. He stopped. He couldn't move. Oh, God. Oh, God. I'm shot... I'm SHOT! He had to be... I can't move... My chest, my chest... God, I can't breathe... Nick's eyes were shut tight, feeling a pain in his chest. God, it burns... Nick felt a warm, sticky wetness spreading across his chest... Oh, no... I'm bleedin' ... I'm bleeding!... The pressure in his chest was becoming too much, he needed to breathe... He gasped, the action giving him sweet oxygen, but also causing his chest to burn even more. His eyes shot open, then...

He stared, frozen.

Nick suddenly couldn't breathe again. His breath came out as loud, short gasps as he struggled to take in air. His eyes stayed open wide, not blinking as he stared up into Jake's black, unseeing eyes. Jake's heavy weight pinned Nick's frame to the hard floor, Nick's arms pinned between he and Jake. Nick began to struggle, to get away. He couldn't get Jake's dead weight off of him, he was too heavy. It caused Nick difficulty in the act of breathing, he had to get away.

//-//-"Nick!"-\-\

The shout of his name managed to reach Nick, heard dimly in the haze he suddenly found himself in. Nick wanted to look to the voice, but he couldn't tear his eyes away from the sightless one's staring straight into his soul, burning their image into his memory. A dull roar began to fill Nick's mind, steadily becoming louder and louder. The burning in Nick's chest also remained, even though he now knew he wasn't shot, it still burned.

The roar filled his mind. Make it stop... Please, make it stop... Nick dimly heard his name repeated over and over, but it was drowned out by the roar. Nick finally managed to close his eyes, shutting Jake's face away. Nick continued to try and get away, his struggles becoming frantic.



//-//-Nick-\-\

-//-Nick-\-

-/-Nick--

"Nick!"



His name suddenly rang clear and wiped the roar away, his eyes snapping open. Nick recognized the voice, "Brian!" Nick was surprised by the sound of his voice, it sounded shrill and panicked.

"Thank God! Nick! Ar- are you okay?"

Nick didn't answer as he finally shoved Jake's weight off with one violent movement, pushing him to the side. Nick weakly sat up, then looked down at his hands. His eyes widened as he stared at his hands, they were colored red with blood. Then his mind registered the bloody gun he clutched in one hand by the barrel, he threw it away as if it were on fire, not believing what just happened.

Brian's eyes were wide with fear, "My God! Nick, are you hurt? Are you okay?"

Nick looked down at his chest, the navy material of his shirt was black with Jake's blood. Nick slowly brought a hand up to his chest, touching it. He winced, the touch causing a slight burning pain. Nick didn't know what was wrong, he didn't get shot. So, why did his chest hurt?

"Nick! Will you say somethin'?!"

That would be AJ's frustrated and... scared? voice. Nick didn't bring his eyes up, "I- I'm fine."

"Not for long!"

Nick's head snapped up at the venom filled voice, his eyes seeing the woman coming at him with a gun. Panicking, Nick began scrambling back in earnest, only to be stopped by Jake's immobile form.

They had forgotten about the woman in the fear and panic that filled them, freezing them to their spots. Not anymore. Kevin and AJ's feet were still mobile and they put them to use.

Kevin shot up from the couch, "No!" He yelled, he would not let anyone hurt Nick. Never again.

The woman spun around just in time to have Kevin slam into her, causing her to lose the gun. It hit the floor literally with a bang as it fired with the impact. Kevin cried out as the wild shot seared through his arm, he fell to the floor next to the woman, hitting hard on his side as his hands were still tied behind his back. He stayed on the floor with his eyes tight and teeth clenched at the burning pain in his upper left arm.

The woman screamed in rage as she sprawled on the floor.

AJ had went to Jake's prone form and managed to get Jake's knife, slicing it through his ropes, now free. He heard the gunshot and Kevin crying out in pain. Then his brown eyes fixed on the gun, lying still, only a few feet away. Dropping the knife, AJ calmly walked to it, not caring about the woman that was scrambling across the floor, trying to reach it before him. He was closer. He would get it first. AJ stopped with the gun at his feet, he bent over with a grimace and then carefully straightened, gun in hand. The woman froze, staring from the floor up at AJ's now imposing figure.

AJ gripped the gun, his burning eyes never straying from the woman below him. He leveled the gun at her and took slow steps toward her.

The woman smiled as she stood, her eyes glinting at AJ, "You won't shoot. You're a good guy. You wouldn't stoop to my level, as the saying goes."

AJ's face remained cold and his stare unwavering as he stopped before the woman, "Right now I wouldn't put much stock in that little sayin'." AJ's voice cracked like fire in the now silent room.

AJ cocked the gun.

The woman's smile vanished.

Howie stared at his friend. He had made it to where AJ had dropped the knife, cutting his ropes and releasing his hands. Now Howie stood behind AJ, ignoring the swaying form of Cal, who barely managed to keep standing. He wasn't a threat any longer.

Howie reached and placed his hand on AJ's shoulder, "AJ... AJ, c'mon, what are you doing?"

AJ flexed his fingers around the gun, keeping his gaze on the woman as he answered, "I've had it, 'D. We barely made it out of this alive, all because of her. I almost lost you guys..." AJ's eyes flicked to Howie, "I don't know what would of happened to me if any of you didn't make it. I hate her," AJ fixed his eyes back to the woman, his finger tightening around the trigger, "I hate her. She doesn't deserve to live, not after what she's done to us."

Howie was about to protest when a hoarse voice cut him off.

"Don't."

AJ's trigger finger relaxed slightly at the voice, his eyes switched to Nick, who stared up at him with a pleading expression, "Why not?"

"You don't want to do it, AJ. Trust me, you don't," Nick's pained eyes drifted to Jake's lifeless form. "If you do... You'll never forget it, AJ. She may be the worst person on this earth, but she does have life. Its hers and hers alone. You don't have the right to take it."

AJ's eyes softened at Nick's words, he uncocked the gun. He spoke to Nick, who was still staring at Jake's body, "Nick, you didn't take Jake's life. It just happened that way, you didn't have any control over it. It was you or him. It ended up being him."

Nick nodded, but his eyes stayed locked on Jake's form.

Howie moved to Kevin, stooping down with a wince to cut his ropes. Kevin sat up, his face twisted in pain. Howie quickly ripped the bottom of his shirt and tied the strip around Kevin's arm. He was relieved to see that the bullet went cleanly through the outer fleshy part of Kevin's upper arm. It wouldn't be too bad unless they didn't get to a doctor soon.

"Hey! Would one of ya's wanna cut me loose?!"

Howie smiled at Brian's frustrated tone, looking to see him still tied to the chair. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hold yer horses, Bri'."

Brian smirked, "How can I hold my horses when my hands are tied?"

Howie smiled, chuckling, "I'm comin', Bri'."

Brian felt his arms fall away from the back of the chair, he winced. He rubbed his left arm, trying to bring the feeling back. He stood from the chair and went to Nick, throwing his good arm over his shoulders, "We're all okay now, Frack. You hear? Its all over."

Nick just nodded.

AJ smiled at the contrite woman, he recocked the gun and motioned her with it to the chair. "You. Sit."

She walked over to the chair, but refused to sit. AJ grabbed her shoulder and forced her to sit. He looked to Howie, "Lets tie her up."

In a couple of minutes, the woman was tied hands and feet to the chair. They weren't about to let her escape. The woman was furious. Everything she had worked so hard on, ruined! Her eyes fell on Jake's form. She didn't know why, but she felt a sharp pang in her chest. She pushed it aside for now, staring hotly at AJ and Howie who stood before her. "You won't get away with this. What are you gonna do now? You're stuck out here. You don't know where you are, how are you gonna get help?" She laughed. "You don't know, do you? I've still won then. I won the game!"

AJ looked at Howie, they smiled and then said at the same time, "Gag her."

The woman's eyes widened in shock, "You will not!"

Howie tore another strip from his shirt, "Oh, yes we will." Then Howie stuffed the material into her mouth as she opened it to protest, tying it securely behind her head. Now all that could be heard were muffled mmmphs.

Kevin pushed himself up with his good arm, his eyes determined as he strode toward Cal's wavering form. He wanted answers and, by God, he was gonna get them. He grabbed a handful of Cal's shirt, shaking the man into reality. Cal's eyes widened when he saw Kevin's green gaze once again. He gasped and tried to get away. He was scared of Kevin.

Kevin smiled. Good. "All right, ...Cal? Is it?"

Cal vigorously nodded his head, not wanting to anger Kevin.

"Okay," continued Kevin, staring into the frightened man's eyes, "I want you to tell me where we are."

Cal looked confused, his eyes looking around the cabin.

Kevin rolled his eyes, "I know we're in a cabin, you dolt! Where in Alaska are we?"

The light went on in the dazed man's eyes, "A- A- Alas- Alaska?"

Kevin watched as he looked to the woman for permission. Kevin shook Cal, getting his attention, "You are talking to me! Remember?"

Cal nodded, eyes wide.

Kevin spoke slowly, as if the man needed slower words to understand, "Where... Are... We?!"

Cal looked at his boss and saw her shake her head, Cal remained silent. Kevin became angry, "You listen to me, Cal. I have spent Seven Days in hell and my family was almost ripped apart! I am this close to going over the edge. Are you going to push me over?" Kevin tightened his fist in Cal's shirt.

Cal stared into the deadly green eyes, a shiver shooting up his spine. To hell with the boss! She can't do anything and I want to live. "No! I'll tell you, okay?"

Kevin loosened his hold, smiling, "Good, now talk."

AJ watched in amusement as Kevin persuaded Cal to talk. He left the woman's side, ruffling her hair as he went past and earning a glare, to sit beside Howie on the couch. AJ clapped Howie on the knee, "Its over 'D!"

Howie winced, then smiled, "Finally!" He breathed, leaning his head back.

"Hey, you okay?" asked AJ, his face scrunching in concern, "That Jake guy really did a number on ya."

Howie shifted, grimacing and wrapping an arm around his middle, "I'm all right. I think I got a few cracked ribs, but other than that... I'm fine."

AJ's eyes were skeptical, "You sure?"

"Yeah, 'J. I'm okay."

AJ decided to leave it alone, even though he thought Howie was hiding something. He sank further into the old couch, letting his gaze wonder to Brian and Nick. AJ's brow furrowed. Brian's movements were drastic as he spoke to Nick. It was as if he were having trouble talking to Nick. Now that would be something big, Brian could always get through to Nick when he was in one of his funks. But... this was a bit different, considering.

Brian couldn't get through to Nick, he just kept quiet, staring at Jake's body. When Brian stepped in front of his view, Nick just kept staring at the spot he last saw Jake, occasionally bringing a hand up and rubbing his chest, wincing.

"Nick, c'mon man. Speak to me," pleaded Brian, "You gotta snap out of it, Frack!"

Nick still stared, mute. Brian decided to do something that he swore to never do, but... it was his last resort.

"Nick!" Brian shouted, slapping Nick hard in the face. Nick's head snapped around, but he turned back to Brian, blinking slowly.

AJ didn't believe what he just saw, he sprang up from the couch and ran to Brian. AJ grabbed Brian's arm, "What the hell did ya do that for?!"

"Nothin' else was working!" replied Brian, turning away from AJ and back at Nick. Nick was staring, but he was staring at Brian, shocked.

Nick brought a hand up to his stinging face, "You- you hit me!"

Brian smiled, "Well, it got you to talk to me, didn't it?"

The corners of Nick's mouth twitched, then spread in a smile, "Yeah, yeah it did. Thanks Bri', I needed that."

AJ stared from Brian to Nick and back again, "You're thankin' him for hitting you?"

Nick smiled and nodded. AJ shook his head, walking back to Howie. Brian turned serious when Nick returned his gaze to him.

"What was with that, Nick? You didn't even know I was here."

Nick glanced at Jake's form, wincing, "Could we please cover him up?"

"I don't know, Nick. We don't really have anything to cover him up with."

The sight of Jake's body, face up and staring blankly in a pool of blood... The image finally broke through to Nick's mind. "Bri'" Nick breathed, backing toward the wall, "Please, I can't stand it anymore... Cover it up!"

Brian stepped after Nick's retreating form, one hand out, "Hey, take it easy, Nick."

Nick eyes are now wide, staring into Brian's, "Cover it up! Cover it UP!" Nick covered his eyes with his hands, but he could still see him. His body, his blood, his unseeing eyes... "Brian, please! I can't stand it!"

"AJ!" yelled Brian over his shoulder while he closed the distance to where Nick now collapsed to the floor, "Go find somethin' to cover him up!"

AJ ran from the room, searching for something... anything. Brian kneeled down before Nick, who still had his eyes covered by his hands, rubbing them. Brian might get Jake covered up, but he knew it wouldn't help Nick. What Nick saw couldn't be covered up, it was in Nick's mind.

"Nick? ... C'mon, you gotta face it. That's the only way it'll go away, you gotta accept it."

Nick's reply was muffled by his hands, "How? How Brian? I killed him. He's dead because of me!"

Brian couldn't believe Nick was reacting like this. Sure, Jake was dead. Nick knew it was self-defense. So, why was he so torn up about it. Nick hated Jake... Unless... Brian reached out and pulled Nick's hands away, "Who's dead because of you, Nick?"

Nick looked at Brian blankly, about to answer when he realized he was confused. Who? Nick thought it was Jake... but Jake?Nick's eyes fell on Jake's form once again. Suddenly, images filled his vision. Not of Jake lying in a pool of blood, but... Mick. It was Mick he saw, lifeless and staring. Nick's eyes caught Brian's, "Mick," he whispered. It was so soft that Brian had to ask him to repeat it.

"Mick."

"Mick," repeated Brian, that's what he thought, but it still shocked him, "Nick, you aren't responsible for Mick's death!! How can you think that?"

"If he hadn't of had to help me, he would still be alive," stated Nick, looking down.

Brian took a deep breath, "Nick, why were you in that situation in the first place?" Brian didn't wait for an answer, "That woman," he indicated the woman tied to the chair, "brought us here. You wouldn't of needed help if it weren't for her. So... who's fault is it?... Hers! Not you!!"

Nick was taken aback by Brian's outburst. Brian didn't raise his voice like that unless it was serious, "But-"

"No buts, Nick!" Brian held Nick's unsure gaze, "Its NOT your fault! Nick, I wouldn't lie to you. Not about somethin' like this."

Nick stared up into Brian's confident face, wanting to believe. "I- I'll try, Brian. I just ... can't believe he died for us like that."

"Yeah, I know," sighed Brian, relieved to atleast of gotten through to Nick on some level, "He did it for us, Nick, and I think he would want us to accept that. He wouldn't want us or you tearing ourselves up over it. We've gotta move on, he'd understand."

Nick nodded. Just then AJ came rushing into the room with an old, torn blanket. He quickly draped it over Jake's body, closing it off from view. He glanced at the sleeping Howie and then made his way over to Brian and Nick. He looked at Brian, "He okay?"

"I'm fine, AJ," answered Nick, he hated it when they talked like he wasn't there. "And thanks." Nick nodded to the blanket.

"Oh, yeah. Sure. No problem, kid," AJ shrugged off, "I guess we should see what Kevin's decided to do."

Kevin had just finished tying Cal up, having gotten all the information he needed. He now knew where they were. Kevin smiled. Cal had even been as generous as to supply the phone numbers to the closest police station and hospital... with a little persuasion. Hell, he was ready to show Kevin how to work the cell phone and even do the work of dialing and giving himself up. Cal said he was willing to give the whole story to the cops, he wanted as light a sentence as possible. What he would say would condemn the woman to a lifetime sentence, Kevin was sure.

As Kevin turned to go talk to the others, he couldn't believe how close help was. There was a small city no more than 5 miles away. It also made sense. The woman had to have somewhere close to get her supplies and stuff. Kevin approached AJ, Nick, and Brian. Then he saw Howie on the couch, sleeping. He decided to let him sleep.

"Okay," Kevin began, "I got the phone numbers of the cops and the hospital. We just gotta call them and we're set." Kevin paused, "Um... Where's the cell?"

Thankfully, Brian spoke up, "Its in the backpack."

"Okay," nodded Kevin, then he paused again, "Uh... Where's the backpack?"

Again Brian spoke up, "We left it outside. Jeez, Kev. I thought you were supposed to be the organized one!"

Kevin smiled sheepishly, "Yeah, well... I had other things on my mind at the moment."

"Yeah, okay," Brian laughed, "I'll go get the pack!"

Five minutes later, Brian returned. He had a big grin on his face.

"What are you smilin' at Bri'?" asked AJ.

"Oh, nothin'," Brian smiled even wider. "Here," he called, tossing AJ the backpack, "Why don't you get the cell phone for Kev."

AJ caught the pack, "Jeez, a little bit lazy now. Are we, B-rok?"

Brian just walked away, the smile threatening to widen further.

AJ gave his retreating back a weird look, then unzipped the backpack and opened it wide to look inside for the cell phone. AJ's mouth fell open and he dropped the pack. Then he realized what he just did and quickly dropped to his knees beside the backpack, watching in disbelief as Squeaker stumbled out. Squeaker waited until the room stopped spinning before glaring up at AJ. Nice to see you, too. he thought.

"Squeaker?!" AJ gasped, shocked. Then AJ looked at Brian, who was grinning his head off. "You knew!"

Brian just nodded, afraid if he opened his mouth that he'd bust out laughing. AJ didn't really care, he looked back at Squeaker. "Squeaker!" he cried, scooping the little runt up and giving him a hug. Squeaker just gave a strained squeak, as the hug was a little bit tight. AJ released the poor thing and set him up on his shoulder, a silly grin on his face. AJ couldn't be happier at the moment.

Kevin just shook his head while Nick actually laughed, his eyes dancing. Kevin held his hand out, "AJ... the cell?"

"Oh, yeah!" AJ reached in the pack and pulled out he cell, tossing it to Kevin. Kevin caught it, still shaking his head, a smile tugging at his lips. It was nice to be acting somewhat normal again.

Kevin dialed up the police first, taking a deep breath, "Hello?... Yeah, this is Kevin Richardson and ... well... I need the police... .... ..."


~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~


Kevin ended the call. He never knew that cops could be so stubborn. He'd spent the last half hour trying to convince them that this was for real and then another half hour explaining what happened. He had half a mind to chuck the cell phone across the room, but caught himself. They still had to call the hospital, even though the cops would, too. Kevin wanted to make sure they got help, soon. He dialed the number.

AJ sat down next to Howie, seeing him still asleep. Squeaker still sat on his shoulder, happy to be back with his friend. AJ was a little curious as to why Howie was sleeping. He decided to wake him, after all, the cops would be here soon.

"Howie!" AJ shook his shoulder. Howie didn't answer. Worry showed on AJ' s face, "Howie? ... Howie! 'D! ... C'mon man, wake up!"

AJ's frantic eyes snapped to Nick and Brian. "He ain't asleep! He's passed out!"

Nick and Brian quickly joined him by Howie's side, AJ continued to try and wake Howie up, "Howie Dorough! If you don't wake up soon you're gonna get one serious ass whoopin' for lying to me!... Wake up!"

Finally, Howie groaned. Then his eyes fluttered. Slowly, he came back to reality. He squinted up at AJ, "'J?"

"Yeah, 'D. Now, wanna tell me why you passed out?" AJ's face was cross, he was seriously ticked at Howie for lying to him.

"I- I'm not sure," replied Howie, confused. "I remember moving to help you find somethin' to cover Jake up... then, nothing. I do remember a sharp pain in my side, though." Howie stopped, wincing, "It's still there."

"Is it bad?" asked Nick, concerned.

"No, not now," assured Howie, "It was before though, I think there's somethin' more than cracked ribs."

AJ narrowed his eyes, "You think?"

Howie looked at AJ, confused, "What's with you?"

"What with me?" asked AJ, "I'll tell you what's with me, you lied, Howie. You said you were fine and you obviously aren't fine. You. Lied."

"AJ, I'm sorry," apologized Howie, "I really didn't think there was anything else, I wasn't sure. I didn't want you to worry if it was nothing."

"It still ain't cool, 'D. You tell me the truth when it considers your health, especially when we're out here!"

"I'm sorry," whispered Howie as another pain hit, he groaned.

"'D?!" cried AJ, "You okay?"

After a few seconds, Howie answered, "Its gone now, the pain. It came back, but its gone again."

"There's somethin' wrong, Howie," said AJ, "But the cops and medics are comin'. They'll be here soon, don't worry."



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



One hour later, the sound of a helicopter and the blair of sirens was heard. The small cabin was now surrounded by cops, medics, police SUVs, two ambulances, and the one helicopter. The cops burst into the cabin and took Cal and the woman into custody. Cal was silent, but the woman didn't leave without some words.

She struggled with the police dragging her out, "You haven't see the last of me, Backstreet Boys! Trust me! I will be back!"

The 'Boys were relieved when she was out of sight. Now the medics swarmed around them, poking and prodding and asking a lot of confusing questions. Questions the 'Boys answered the best they could.

"No, that doesn't hurt."

"Ow! Yeah, that hurts!"

"A couple days ago."

"I don't know what kind of bear it was!"

"A fist did that, you idiot!"

"Ow! Did I not just tell you that that hurts!?!"

"Ouch! Damn it! Get the hell away from me!"

Needless to say, the boys were not having fun. The medics finally came to some conclusions and sequestered the boys to the hospital. Squeaker came along for the ride, too. Even with protest from the medics, but after AJ threatened them with bodily harm... They allowed the rodent to come along.



///////At the hospital\\\



Brian and AJ sat in the waiting room, their injuries were less severe and were treated quickly. Brian received stitches to the cuts on his arm and thigh, his arm now braced in a professional sling. AJ sat next to him, a bandage on his cheek covering the scratches and his ribs professionally wrapped. Each of them have received medication for pain, their injuries now made blissfully unaware to them.

They waited for the word that they could see the rest of their group. They knew that they were okay, just needed more treatment. Kevin had to have his arm cleaned and stitched closed, he was also getting a blood transfusion for loss of blood. Kevin also had bruised knuckles. Hmmm... don't know where that came from. Nick was getting his clawed shoulder cleaned out and stitched up and was receiving a blood transfusion, too. One surprise though, was a large second degree burn in the middle of Nick's chest. It was evidently caused by the discharge of the handgun, it being so close when it went off. Howie was being treated for several broken ribs and a slight concussion. Howie also had some internal bruising caused by his broken ribs. Thus, the reason for his passing out.

All of this required a stay at the hospital. They didn't mind that. They were back in the civilized world, and it never felt so good. Even if it was a hospital.

"Mr. Littrell? Mr. McLean?" asked a gentle faced man in white.

Brian and AJ rose, "Yeah, that's us." Acknowledged Brian.

"How are our friends?" asked AJ quickly.

The doctor smiled, "They're just fine. I came to tell you that you can visit them now. They will have to stay here for a few days, though. Even then, I'd advise you all to take it easy for a few weeks."

"Are they all together?" asked Brian.

"Yes," replied the doctor, "We have been informed of the ordeal you young men went through and decided to fit all three of your friends in the largest room we had available. We thought you'd like to stay together."

"Yes, thank you... doctor?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," the doctor smiled, "Jacobs, Dr. Jacobs."

"Okay," Brian returned the smile, shaking the man's hand, "Thank you, Dr. Jacobs."

"You're welcome. Would you like to see your friends now?"

"Yes," answered AJ.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Brian and AJ walked into the hospital room to the sweetest sound.

"Kevin!" whined Nick, "Why can't you get them to hook an N64 up to the TV?! I'm bored out of my mind and starved for video games!"

"Nick," came Kevin's stern voice, "I am not gonna ask the hospital to get you an N64! You'll just hafta find somethin' else to do!"

Nick looked around the stark white room, turning wide innocent eyes back to Kevin, "Like what?"

"I don't know! Watch TV," suggested Kevin, exasperated. He clicked the TV on and then threw Nick the controller.

"I don't care what you do!" cried a sleepy Howie, "Just shut-up for five minutes so I can go to sleep!"

Brian and AJ burst out laughing. They walked the rest of the way into the room, still laughing. Brian sat in the chair beside Nick, "Man, its good to be back!"

Nick smiled and switched the TV channel, ending up on a news station. All eyes fell on the screen as a familiar story was told by a reporter...

...ackstreet Boys have been found! They were evidently held captive by an insane woman with unknown reasons. She and her remaining cohort have been jailed and are expected to be dealt long-term sentences without parole. The Backstreet Boys have been reported to be in good health with the exception of some minor injuries and are being currently hospitalized. Their release is expected in a few days and we hope to receive a statement from the famous music group about this horrible ordeal. We will have more on this developing story as new information comes in. Please, stay tuned for further updates...

Nick shut the TV off and looked at Kevin, "Any other suggestions?"

Kevin looked sheepish, "Read a book?"

They all laughed at the expression on Nick's face. "Kidding, kidding." Kevin smiled.

Brian spoke after he was able to stop laughing, "Guys, I've been thinkin'..."

"Don't hurt yerself, Frick," teased Nick. He couldn't help it, it was an easy dig.

Brian just rolled his eyes, "Funny. Anyways, as I was sayin' before I was so rudely interrupted." Brian shot Nick a look. Nick just grinned, Brian shook his head and continued, "I've been thinkin', the doctor said we should take it easy for a few weeks after we get out of here. Plus, we were startin' in on the new album when this whole thing started. And, well..."

"Yeah," said AJ, "and your point would be?"

"Well, I think we should go somewhere by ourselves and work on some songs for the album. Plus, we could talk about what we went through," Brian paused, looking at his friends, "You know we have some things that we still need to work out."

Kevin nodded his head, "Yeah, I agree Brian, but... we just got back to the civilized world. You want us to leave it so soon?"

"Well, I was thinkin' of the Bahamas," Brian suggested with a smile.

"Bahamas!" exclaimed AJ, "Oh, I'm for that!"

Kevin smiled, "Well, AJ likes it and I wouldn't mind it. What about the rest of you?"

"I could live with that," Howie supplied, "It'd be nice to be by ourselves like that without worrying whether we'd live or die in the next day."

Kevin nodded, "Nick?"

Nick had a wistful look on his face, "The ocean," he murmured, "Oh, how I miss the ocean."

"Oh-kay," Kevin smiled, "I think that would be a 'for it'. Well, Brian, looks like we're headin' to the Bahamas!"
Epilogue by Refuse
The Backstreet Boys were now in New York, promoting their 100 hour tour. Nick sat in the hotel room he shared with Brian, watching the news while he waited for the others to get ready to go and make their appearance on the Early Show and perform live.

"Hey, Nick!" called Brian from out in the hall, "C'mere a second!"

"All right!" Nick sighed, pushing himself up from the floor in front of the TV, "I'm comin'!"

Nick left the room, the TV still on. He missed the following bulletin being read...

...This just in... The woman who had abducted the famous pop group, the Backstreet Boys, has escaped! She was sentenced for life in prison without parole. Her name was never uncovered and remains a mystery. The police have begun an all out manhunt for the woman and hope to catch her before she puts much distance from the L.A. prison. The specifics to how she escaped are still unknown. We'll have more information as it becomes available to us in this ongoing story. The Backstreet Boys are currently in New York promoting their new album and are unavailable to contact. Please, stay tuned for further updates... In other news, a man was...

"Hurry up, Nick!" shouted AJ, "We gotta go!"

"Yeah, yeah!" replied Nick, walking back into his room, "I just gotta shut the TV off. Jeez, I was the one waiting for you guys!"

Nick shut the TV off and then exited the room, locking the door.

"Yeah, whatever, Nick-ay!" smiled AJ, "C'mon, lets go!"



///////OnTheEarlyShow\\\



"And now, ladies and gentlemen, here are the Backstreet Boys!"

*screams and all that great stuff*

"Thank you!" Kevin spoke into the microphone, "We appreciate your support and hope you'll like our new album!"

*more screams*

Brian spoke, "The song we are about to sing is off the new album. We wrote it ourselves and we hope you enjoy it!"

*more screams*

Nick stepped forward, "We dedicate this song to our lost friend, Mick. This one's for you buddy! We know you're watchin' and listenin' from up there, we hope you like it!"

*the classic "awww" sounds from the audience*

"And now, without further adieu..." taunted AJ.

Howie shook his head, "Just tell them to start playin' the song, Bone!"

*audience giggles*

AJ smiled, "Oh, okay! Play the song!"

Howie rolled his eyes as the first notes played.



You see me sitting here
The smile upon my face
The time has come, but you know that it's not too late
There's been too many things, together we have seen
Its not that hard if we start to believe

And we're not gonna take anymore
Can we try to erase all the pain
So please...

Show me a reason
Give me a sign
Tell me the way we fall out of line
Is it today or is it tonight
We'll find...

The answer to our life

This world is not at ease
We seem to hide the truth
Thinkin' there's only so much we can really do
It's up to you and me
To face our destiny
The jury's here so lets take the stand

And we're not gonna take anymore
Can we try to erase all the pain
So please...

Show me a reason
Give me a sign
Tell me the way we fall out of line
Is it today or is it tonight
We'll find...

The answer to our life

So tell me why we have to cry(And I try)
When there's so many things we can do
To help this troubled
World start anew...

I need a reason
I need a sign
There's no turnin' back
I'm here by your side
Is it today or maybe tonight...
We'll find...

The answer to our life

Show me the way
Give me a sign
Tell me the way we fall out of line
Is it today(Is it today) Is it tonight

The answer to our life

Show the way(Show me the way)
Give me a sign(Give me a sign)
Tell me the way we fall out of line(We fall out of line)
Is it today(Is it today) or is it tonight(Is it tonight)
We will find...

The answer to our life
(Oh, yeah...)

Show me a reason
Give me a sign
Tell me the way we fall out of line(Don't fall out of line)
Is it today or is it tonight
(Oh, yeah...)
We'll find...

The Answer To Our Life



*deafening screams*



///////BackInTheEarlyStudio\\\



"That was great, guys. Now, tell me. What do you miss most when you are away from home like this?" Mark asked.

"Well, I'd have to say family," replied Kevin. Nick, Brian, and Howie nodded in agreement.

"I miss my squirrel," stated AJ seriously.

Mark looked taken aback, "Ummm... squirrel?"

"Yep! He's a really cute little bugger!"

Mark stared for a second, then shook out of it and continued with the interview... A few questions later it was time to wrap it up.

"Okay, one last question. How would you describe your friendship right now?" asked Mark.

The guys all froze, then looked at each other, finding it hard to extract the right words. AJ motioned that he had it under control.

AJ looked at Mark, his eyes serious, "I can sincerely say, that we are the tightest that we have ever been." ***

The ... end?
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6728