Free Fall by tear_the_dark
Summary: ?I love you, you know that?? Brian asked turning to his side to kiss his wife passionately.


While falling asleep Brian thought that there couldn?t be anything better in this world than his little family.





~But what happens when tragedy strikes you hard?~






Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 6543 Read: 10411 Published: 07/07/06 Updated: 07/14/06

1. Chapter 1 by tear_the_dark

2. Chapter 2 by tear_the_dark

3. Chapter 3 by tear_the_dark

4. Chapter 4 by tear_the_dark

5. Chapter 5 by tear_the_dark

6. Chapter 6 by tear_the_dark

Chapter 1 by tear_the_dark
'It was the 15th of June when she walked in my life, it was the first time someone said hello with her eyes'

Baylee was cheering for joy as Leighanne was pushing him as he sat on the swing. Brian watched form a bench not far away.

It was a perfect day. They had decided to go to a park which was located just 5 minutes form their house in Atlanta. They were sure not fans would be bothering them, as this was a neighbourhood were also other famous persons were living and so there was a high standard of security all around and the police used to check out this area more often then other areas.

The sun was burning from the sky and Brian could already feel a small sunburn on the back of his neck as he was sitting there watching his son and wife enjoying some last spare time together with him. He was about to leave next week. The Backstreet Boys were about to start recording their sixth album. The first one being only on four.

Brian thought about the fact that Kevin had actually left them. He couldn’t blame him, since Brian had been thinking about leaving the group himself more than one time before. Now that he watched his family on this sunny day in the park he almost wished that he had quitted. Almost. On the other hand he had some great ideas of songs for the new record. Last night, while Leighanne slept he had another one finished.


“ Daddy come swinging with me!” Brian was ripped out of his thoughts as his three years old son was standing in front of him, hands on his hips as he had seen his mother do when she really wanted her husband to do something.

Brian had to laugh.

“As you request, Sir!” he answered and got up from the bench stretching his back.

“You are getting old, Daddy!” Baylee stated as he watched his father standing up.

Brian could hear Leighanne laughing out lout. She was still standing at the swing waiting for them to return.

“I warn you. Both of you. When I’ll get you you’ll wish had never made fun of an old man!” he joked in a treating voice and started to chase his son, who had run of screaming in the direction of his mommy, jumping in her open arms.

“Run mommy!” Baylee squalled and Leighanne obeyed.



Later that day when they were home again, Baylee had been so tired he almost fell asleep at the dinner-table and Brian carried him up to his room. When Baylee then finally was ready to go to sleep, Brian was about to read him a good-night story.

“Okay kiddo, which one do you want to hear? Something new of Winnie the Pooh?” Brian asked as he sat down on the edge of Baylee’s bed. He could tell that his son would be asleep before he even finished to read one page to him.

“No Daddy. Please sing something for me, ‘kay?” Baylee asked which already half closed eyes.

“Okay, I will. Which song?” Brian asked smiling.

“Our song, Daddy!” Baylee demanded instantly.

“How could I have asked!” Brian smiled. It was a song he had written when Baylee was barely one month old, and from that day on almost had sung it to him every day.

I'll try to make the sun shine brighter for you
I will even play the fool if it makes you smile
I'll try to make you laugh if there's a tear in your eye
After all is said
After all is done
I'd do anything for you

Come with me, close your eyes
Hold my hand, it'll be alright
Don't be scared, don't be shy
Lift your head it's gonna be alright

I'll try to make the stars shine brighter for you
And I'll take you on my shoulders, hold you way up high
I'll even chase the rainbow hanging in the sky
COs after all is said
After all is done
I'd do anything for you


Baylee had fallen asleep. Brian quietly stood up, covering his son with his blanket and headed out of the room. Leighanne had been standing in the doorframe watching her husband putting their son to bed and listened to the song she knew he had written just for Baylee.

She kissed her husband as he had closed the door to Baylee’s room.

“Hey, where did that come from?” he asked her while he put his arms around her.

“Because you are an wonderful father and I love you!” she said leaning her head to his shoulder.


Not much later they both decided to go to bed early since the day in the park had not only Baylee worn out.
When they were lying in their bed Leighanne snuggled close to Brian, resting her head on his shoulder.

“Sometimes I wish I didn’t have to leave” Brian said softly while stroking his wife’s blond hair.

“You love the work with the guys. It’s the other part of you live Bri. You can’t just skip one part of you life!” Leighanne said.

“But Kevin did!”

“You are not Kevin. Don’t be silly. Baylee and I are fine. You’ll be back in three weeks and we’ll call you every evening to make sure you are a nice boy!” she said sheepishly.

“I love you, you know that?” Brian asked turning to his side to kiss his wife passionately.

While falling asleep Brian thought that there couldn’t be anything better in his world than his little family.



  • Lyrics from "Come with me" by Phil Collins

  • Chapter 2 by tear_the_dark
    Two more days were left till Brian had to travel to L.A. to start recording the newest BSB CD. He was somehow excited and somehow worried how recording would went without Kevin. His older Cousin had been the one getting them all back on track when they used to fool around or had the feeling that nothing worked out right. Or when they had another stupid fight.

    On this morning two days away from his departure from home. He still was sound asleep but now was woken by a sound coming from his and Leighanne’s bathroom which had a direct connection to the bedroom they shared.

    He sat up in bed noticing that his wife wasn’t at his side anymore. He went to the bathroom to see what had caused the sound that made him wake up. While he headed to the bathroom, he took a quick glimpse at his alarm clock telling him that it was 5:00 a.m.

    As he entered the room he found his wife kneeing in front of the toilet vomiting.

    “Honey what’s up?” he asked sounding concerned

    After some moments Leighanne finally managed to answer his question.

    “I woke up, felt sick, and here I am” she explained, getting up and walked over to the sink.

    “ Do you have a fever? Are you sick?” Brian walked to stand behind his wife observing her in the mirror to see if she somehow look ill.

    “No Brian, I’m fine. I just….I think…” she finished cleaning herself up and then went back to the bedroom.

    “ What?” What do you think?” Brian followed her, confused.

    Leighanne sat down on the bed, tapping the place next to her for Brian to sat down. He sat down as she requested. Leighanne put her head down on Brian’s lap lying down on the bed.

    “What is wrong baby?” he asked softly caressing her hair.

    “Brian, do you remember the last time I used to throw up in the morning?” she asked closing her eyes.

    “That was when we were pregnant with Baylee…” Brian remembered.

    “Right.”

    “So…” suddenly realisation hit him, “you mean…you are…we are…?”

    “I’m not sure, yet. But this wasn’t the first time I had to throw up in the morning. And I’m overdue…if you know what I mean.”

    “But…that’s great!” Brian exclaimed.

    Leighanne sat up. Brian immediately took her in his arms.

    “You really think that that’s great? I mean…you’ll be gone in some days and after recording the new album, you guys are going to tour. And…I thought you might be…”

    “I might be what? Angry? Are you crazy. I'm happy. I’m excited. Why should I be angry?” Brian looked at her as if she had grown a second head.

    “Because it’s going to ruin our plans…your plans.” Leighanne actually had tears in her eyes.

    “Baby, I don’t care about plans. I care about you, and Baylee, and whoever might come…” he said pointing at her belly.

    “I love you Brian”

    “I know, everybody does!” he said seriously.

    “Oh save it, Littrell” she smacked him on the head.

    “Ouch…soooo…are you going to do a pregnancy-test?” Brian asked rubbing the back of his head.

    “Sure, I already bought one yesterday” she told him. “I wanted to tell you when I'm sure that I'm really pregnant”

    Brian smiled at her sheepishly, looking at her from head to toes.

    “What’s up? Are you going to tell me that I already gained weight?” she asked pretending to be angry

    “No…I think we should make sure that you are pregnant…I mean, if you are not already…we could….” He winked at her.

    “BRIAN!”



    That next morning Leighanne and Brian got up together to do the pregnancy-test. Brian waited in front of the bathroom while Leighanne was inside. When she opened the door, Brian looked at her questioning waiting for her to tell what the test had shown.

    Leighanne simply nodded and seconds later found herself in the arms of her husband and up in the air as he had lifted her up.

    “When do we tell our parents? And not to forget Baylee?” Brian asked when he had sat her down.

    “I want to take Baylee to the doctor with me this afternoon. I want him to see what is happening with his mother. He is our only child, and soon he’ll have to share us with another kid. I want him to learn this trough the whole nine month.” Leighanne said seriously.

    “ I think this is a good idea, honey. I’ll come aswell.” He smiled.

    “You can’t. You have to pack you stuff for L.A. and you need to call Johnny and tell him. Maybe you’ll be able to come home more often then. And I think Baylee and me should go alone…you know, like a mother and son thing” she explained.

    “You don’t want me around” Brian said pouting, but smiled seconds later “I totally understand. Plus…you are right, I need to pack.”


    Shortly after lunch Leighanne and Baylee left for the doctor. Brian helped buckling Baylee up in his children’s seat and kissed his wife on the check.

    “Bye baby. Tell the Doc I said hello!”

    “I make sure to tell him why you are not around. I know you are afraid he might think you are not caring enough to come to the Doctor with me. Nobody thinks something like that, but I know you think that…don’t worry honey!” Leighanne smiled as she read the expression on his face.

    “I read you like a book!” she explained.

    “I should be around. What if something wrong?”

    “Brian, nothing is going to be wrong. And even if so, they would not discover yet.”

    “Okay, bye baby. See you later!” he said giving her a final kiss on her mouth.

    “Be a nice boy!” she smiled and climbed into the car.

    Brian waved both of them a watched the car disappear onto the streets of Atlanta. He turned around and walked into the house making a mental note of what he needed to pack for L.A.
    Chapter 3 by tear_the_dark
    Brian sat down on his and Leighanne’s bed looking around in the room as if to see if there was anything he forgot to pack. He mentally checked the things he would need for his two weeks stay in L.A.

    “I’m going to need Leigh and Bay…” he thought while getting up checking if he had already packed the ticket he would need.

    Still he wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to continue being a Backstreet Boy. Doing the small thing as his solo record had been fun, and his family had been with him almost all the time. There wasn’t so much hectic and the schedule was more flexible and easier to handle.

    “Maybe I should have left before Kevin did” Brian thought while walking down to his office to pack the papers he would need.

    “I can honestly understand him…But now that he quitted first, the situation is much more difficult for me” Brian absently sat down behind his desk starring at nothing but thin air. No, he couldn’t leave the Backstreet Boys now. If he would leave as well, the group was over with. He knew he couldn’t live with that. Neither would he be able to see his friend continuing without him. This was his life, his profession. The way God had chosen for him.

    Brian knew that Leighanne understood his decision to continue. Although they had a long talk after Kevin told him about his leaving-plans. Schedule would be more crowded for Brian know, they both had known. Since Kevin had been “the head” of the group, the spokesman, now someone had to take over his part. AJ could not do it, it meant to much stress for him, the risk or AJ to drop back to old habits was too high. And Nick? No Nick needed to get his life back on track, dealing with his family and his never-too-good relationships. Howie? Yes, Howie was capable of this task, but Brian knew Howie wouldn’t want to be “the leader”. Maybe he and Howie could share that task.

    Brian’s gaze felt onto the phone which was located under a pile of music magazines and catalogues Brian had read because he wanted to expand his private record studio in the basement. Should he call his parents before he would leave? Maybe tell them the good news about Leighanne being pregnant with their second grandchild? But then he thought that maybe Leighanne wanted to tell them herself. Or maybe they could visit him when he came home while recording took a break. He hadn’t been to Lexington for quite a while.


    Half an our later Brian was sure he had packed absolutely everything he would need in L.A.

    He didn’t really know what to do now, since Baylee and Leighanne still hadn’t returned for the doctors appointment. Brian took a quick glance at the kitchen clock while supplying himself a glass of cold ice tea. It was 6 p.m. now. He drank, sat the glass down and headed for the phone. He dialled the familiar number of his wife’s cell phone and waited for the dial tone.

    At the sixth ring, Brian began to feel nervous. Suddenly the phone was picked up.

    “Hello?” he heard the voice of his wife answer.

    “Hi honey…uhm…I was wondering where my family is” Brian said relieved that he had his wife on the phone.

    “I’m still at the doctor. They had some kind of emergency when we came here, so I took Baylee for some ice cream, but now I’m waiting for some test results” she explained.

    “Results? What kind of test was that? Are you probably not pregnant?” Brian asked confused.

    “No honey, I am pregnant. You are going to be a daddy again. I’m already in the third month they estimate” she laughed a little at his muzziness.

    Now Brian was even more confused “Shouldn’t you have noticed that earlier than? And still I don’t know what kind of test they did!”

    “The doctor said it was totally normal that my periods even occurred while already being pregnant. It wasn’t a real test they did. It was a new method of ultrasonic-examination because they think that…” she trailed of.

    “They think what, Leigh?” Brian now was worried. Maybe this second child of his had inherited this heard defect of his.

    “They think we might have twins honey!” Leighanne exclaimed noticeably excited.

    “Twins? Like….two babies? Are you sure?” Brian now needed to sat down.

    “Not yet, that’s what I told you. I’m waiting for the final results. I tell you when I’m home. Maybe they can even tell the gender, but only with a likelihood of 70 per cent.”

    “No call me…as soon as you know!” Brian demanded. He was already dying to know if the families habit of getting boys only would continue. Maybe two at the same time. Or a boy and a girl. Or maybe two girls…

    “I might. I don’t know. I may surprise you…” she giggled a little girlish.

    “NO! Leighanne, I wanna know…” he began, but was interrupted by his wife.

    “I need to check on Baylee, I think he just wandered of to a….BAYLEE COME HERE! Brian, I gotta get Baylee back here, he just discovered a childbirth-room and I’m not sure that it is not in use. See u later. Bye.”

    “Call me!” Brian shouted into the phone, but wasn’t sure if she had heard it before she had hung up.

    Brian chuckled at his sons curiosity He always wanted to know everything and everyone. He always went like: “Hi, I’m Baylee…and you are?”

    Brian decided that he needed to do something to keep himself from pacing until Leighanne called. He thought that they needed to celebrate this evening and headed for the phone again to order something to eat. Maybe Chinese, Leighanne loved that stuff. Or Pizza?

    Twenty minutes later Brian had sat the table for three persons and was waiting for the pizza to arrive. He had decided that pizza was easier to keep warm than Chinese since he still didn’t know when his wife and his son would be back. The bell that showed that someone was waiting outside at the gates rang and Brian went to get their dinner.

    When he was back at the front door he could hear the phone ringing. He almost dropped the pizza while hurrying to answer it. He noticed how nervous he was. The last time he had been this nervous was when Leighanne went into labour with Baylee.

    “I'm going to be a daddy again!” he said out loud, took a final deep breath and picked up the phone.
    Chapter 4 by tear_the_dark
    ...he took a deep breath and picked up the phone.


    “Okay..tell me now” he said immediately.

    “Is this Mr Brian Littrell?” an unfamiliar male voice asked on the other side

    “Ye…how are you?” Brian asked irritated. He had expected Leighanne to be the one calling.

    “My name is Paul Lampert and I’m a male nurse at the Atlanta Medical Center. I’m sorry, but I have to tell you that there has been an accident involving your wife. I’ need you to come here as fast as possible” the male voice explained.

    “An accident?” Brian was dumbfounded.

    “Yes Sir, someone is going to explain everything to you as soon as you get here.”

    “I’ll be there in a minute!” Brian practically shouted into the phone since finally the words ‘accident’ and ‘your wife’ had sunken in.

    Brian left the phone without bothering to hung it up, grabbed the key to his car and left.

    After he had climbed into his car and rushed out off he realised that he was only wearing some old jogging pants and an rather older looking T-shirt, but he couldn’t have cared less. He drove as fast as he could without crashing as well, trying hard not to think about what had happened to his wife and…

    “Baylee!” Brian screamed.

    This nurse had said nothing about Baylee. Maybe he wasn’t hurt. Maybe he had been brought into a pediatric clinic. Maybe…Brian tried not to think any further.

    Brian swore when he saw that in front of him a traffic jam had started to form and already a formed quite a row. There was no way of turning the car now, so Brian had to sat right there waiting for the cars in front of him to move.




    “She has got fatal internal bleedings. I don’t think she’ll make it. Is her husband here already?” Dr Robben asked Paul, the stations nurse while putting down the papers of his patient.

    “No, Doctor. I tried to call again, but the phone is busy. But according to the area he is living, he’ll need another half an hour to get here.

    “Let’s hope she’ll hang in there for so long” the doctor said not sounding to confident.


    Finally the cue of cars started to move forward slowly. Brian impatiently drummed his fingers on the starring wheel. After some more minutes, he was finally able to see what had caused the traffic jam as he passed the police cars and caught a glimpse of a totally destroyed car which had obviously crashed though the barricade between the both roadways and there had hit another car coming from city direction.

    Brian’s movements froze as he now could identify the wreck of the car that had been hit. He felt the urge to scream, but couldn’t find his voice. It felt as if there was no oxygen left in his lungs as he spotted he children’s seat lying near the car.

    Without noticing, Brian had stopped his car in the middle of the small part of the road that as passable for cars, and the people behind him had already started to honk.

    He simply wasn’t hearing it. And if so, he did not notice it. He sat there, his hands clenched the steering wheel tightly, starring at what was left of his wife’s last birthday present he had given to her.

    The honking continued, and finally one of the police officers noticed and found the cause of it.



    “Man, go ahead. Here is nothing to be seen!” he shouted towards Brian’s direction, looking angry already.

    Officer Jake Samson was a normally really quite and nice man, but accidents like this sometimes caused him to loose his temper. Some mad young guy had simply overestimated himself and had lost control of his car, breaking straight through the roadway edging and hitting another car head on. He had had no chance. The woman and the small boy in the other car had been injured badly.

    He hated evenings like this. Here had been absolutely no reason for loosing control of a car. The streets were dry, the was no fog or sun which could have dazzled the driver. He simply had been too fast.

    The SUV which caused the passing line of cars to stop and honk still wasn’t moving

    This was another thing Samson hated. Looker-ons. Why could people be so damn curious about an accident like this. They should be glad they weren’t involved, since everyone coming out of the city could have been it.

    Samson almost lost it now. This job was hard enough without having to argue with stupid people who hold up everyone to get a better look at what had happened.

    He walked towards the direction trying to get a first look at the driver to estimate what kind of person he was. Sometimes it was an older woman who now was afraid to drive any further. Who knew?

    Finally Samson spotted a man inside the car. He wasn’t looking at the wreck or the policemen at the place of the accident. He looked straight ahead, his hands gripping the starring wheel so hard that his knuckles had started to turn white.

    The officer calmed down a little. This was one of those who simply had to be convinced that nothing bad would be happening to them.

    He finally reached the driver’s window and tapped it lightly, not wanting to cause the driver to freak even more. The driver, he must have been around his late twenties or early thirties with blond hair didn’t react at all. His gaze was still fixed on particular nothing in front of him.

    Samson tapped again at the window, this time a little more forcefully.

    “Hey man, open the window!”

    The man still didn’t react.

    Samson carefully tried to open the door. It wasn’t locked. It took all this bravery to actually reach inside the car and shake the man’s shoulder to get a response. Hey, at least this was the United States. There were insane people with guns in their cars killing simple police officers all around.

    Finally the man turned his head finally noticing the policeman next to his car.

    “What’s up with you? You holding up the traffic! You need to drive on, nothing is going to happen to you!” Samson tried to be comforting. Suddenly he was angry at the still honking cars behind the SUV.

    “That…that is my wife’s car over there!” the man finally choked out, his gaze totally empty of emotions when he looked with deep blue eyes directly in Jake Samson’s face which was now turning pale.
    Chapter 5 by tear_the_dark
    Author's Notes:
    Thank you for all your reviews. I hope you'll like the next chapter nevertheless. Remember, this is pure fiction. ;-)
    Jake Samson knew to which hospital they had brought the wife of that driver, who he know knew, was called Brian Littrell. The officer had decided that it was safer to driver Mr Littrell to the AMC, although the man already had calmed down a little.

    Now Samson was driving this expensive looking SUV with Brian sitting next to him quietly. Suddenly he remembered being an officer meant comforting and calming people in situations like this, so he thought about something useful to say.

    He tried to start the information by telling the man next to him that they would reach the hospital in ten minutes.

    “Okay…” was all that came back.

    “Look, Mr Littrell. I know how you must be feeling…” Samson tried to be comforting.

    Brian said noting for a moment. Then, in a real quiet and calm voice he said “Do you really know?”

    “To be honest? No. But I do have a wife, and I can imagine…”

    “No you can’t” Brian interrupted without even looking at the officer.

    “You are right, I’m sorry Mr Littrell” he gave up on saying something.

    “Brian”

    “Excuse me?” now the officer was confused.

    “It’s Brian, not Mr Littrell. And I have to be sorry. I know you just want to comfort me. Thank you!” Brian said calmly, now even looking at the man driving his car.

    “Officer Jake Samson”.

    “Officer Samson, have you been at the place of the accident right after it happened? Do you know anything about my son?” Brian asked with a worried voice.

    A son? It looked like the man was in his early thirties which meant young son. The child seat! O god, could there have been a child in the car?

    “No sorry, when I came there, all injured where already brought here!” he nodded in the direction of the hospital which could now be seen just some more streets away.

    “Why wouldn’t they tell me on the phone? They told me that my wife was injured, but they said nothing about my son. Could it be possible that he was brought to another hospital?” Brian asked nervously.

    Jake Samson chest felt like a dozen tons where lying upon him. The chances that they had brought the mans son somewhere else than the AMC were slim, since they could provide best medical help towards children in whole Atlanta.

    “How old is that son of yours?” Samson asked to win some time before answering Brian’s question.

    “He’s three and a half! His name is Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell” Brian explained.

    “To be honest with you again, I don’t know anything about him. You might asked the doctors about him. Look, we are here!”

    Samson was glad he didn’t really have to answer that questions. By the look of the wreck and the fact that the child seat was obviously thrown out of the car when the accident happened, he doubted that any three years old could have survived it. But he was the last one wishing to tell Brian.

    They entered the hospital heading straight for the ER. When they got there, they asked the first nurse they could find about Brian’s family.

    “Excuse me. I’m Officer Samson of the APD and this is Mr Brian Littrell. His wife was brought here after an car accident” he explained firmly.

    “Oh yes, Mr Littrell. Doctor Robben wanted to talk to you as soon as you got here. Would you please follow me? Officer” she nodded in Samson’s direction and started to head off making sure Brian was following.

    “Thank you Officer Samson” Brian said over his shoulder while trying to stay close behind the nurse.

    Samson watched Brian and the nurse heading though a door and then decided to get a cup of coffee while he was waiting for one of his colleagues to pick him up, since he had come here by Brian’s car.

    He let out a sigh and turned to find a vending machine.



    Brian silently followed the nurse till they reached a small office. The sign on the door said that Dr M. Robben was it’s owner, and the head of ER.

    The nurse knocked and opened the door just a little.

    “Mr Littrell is here now” she said.

    Brian heard a movement inside the office, the door was opened completely and a tall black man with a light green doctors coat was reaching out his hand for Brian to shake.

    “Mr Littrell, my name is Doctor Marcus Robben. I’m the head of AMCER. I need to have a quick talk to you.” He said professionally.

    Brian simply nodded and followed the Doctor back inside the office.

    “Mr Littrell, I’m gonna make this real quick, which doesn’t make it any easier. You wife, Leighanne, was brought here with several serious injuries, containing internal bleedings and a real serious head injury.” He paused to let the news get to Brian.

    Brian was happy he was already sitting. Internal bleeding? Head injuries? This could not be true.

    “I’m sorry, but I have to tell you that your wife currently slipped into coma. She needs immediate kidney transplantation and likely a new liver” the Doctor continued, watching the man in front of him. He knew who he had sitting in front of him, and who he was telling the next part of the news.

    “I already called several transplantation-centres as well as EuroTransplant. There is not a big chance that the fitting organs will reach here in time. And even if so, Mr Littrell, the head injuries of you wife are so severe that we are currently running some tests, because currently it looks like…” he trailed off, afraid that the man sitting in front of him, looking as if he did not believe anything of what he had been telling him was about to break down.

    “It looks like what?” Brian felt numb. Just numb.

    “It looks like she’s already brain dead”
    Chapter 6 by tear_the_dark
    Author's Notes:
    Thank you for all your reviews. In this chapter you are going to learn a little about Baylee. I'm not sure if you are going to like it...
    Dr Robben was surprised at the younger mans reaction. He had seen people broke down quite some times since he had been a doctor in ER for more then fifteen years now.

    Brian did not cry, nor did he scream or run off or doing any of those actions Robben was used to see after telling people that their loved once were gone.

    But instead, the sandy-blond man shortly closed his eyes, then opened them again, looking with sad blue eyes into those of the doctor in front of him.

    “Can I see her?” his voice was calm, no hint of emotions was shown.

    “Sure. I accompany you to intensive care” the doctor said trying to be comfortable.

    While walking down some busy corridors of the Medical Centre, Brian tried not to think about the fact that his wife was dead. He wanted to see her, to hold her hand and tell her that everything was going to be alright, that she would be home really soon and…

    “Doctor, I have heard nothing about my son so far. He was also in the car” Brian spoke up walking next to the man in green.

    “I’m sorry, I heard nothing about him, which doesn’t mean a thing. I was busy with you wife, but while you are with her, I try my hardest to get some news for you okay? Here we are” he said, pointing towards the next room to their left.

    Through the big windows next to the door the doctor had pointed to, Brian could see some familiar machines, some IV’s, a huge amount of tubes, and, in the middle of all this stuff, a bandaged head and a face underneath.

    No, no, no, no, no, no. This can’t be true. I’m dreaming. This is a bad dream.

    Dr Robben realised that the husband of his patient next to him was lost deep in thoughts, but decided that he needed to disturb him now. He wanted him to spent some time with his wife, who he was sure of, already was gone. And he wanted to find an anything about the boy of these two people. Marcus Robben silently prayed that the boy was okay, but normally the fact that he, as the head of the ER, did know nothing about the boy, wasn’t a real good one.

    “Mr Littrell, I asked a nurse to call your wife’s family, and I’ll ask her to call yours as well. I’ll be back as soon as I have the test results and news about your son.”

    Test results? Wasn’t Leighanne waiting for test results as well? He might never know if they would have had twins or not, or if it would have been boys or girls or….

    “Mr Littrell?” the doctor now was a little concerned about the lack of emotions on the mans face and the fact that he seemed to be spacing out every single second.

    “Sure, Doctor. Go ahead.” Brian said without really looking at the doctor and now headed for the door.


    When he entered the room, the typical hospital smell hit him full force. God, he hated hospitals.

    He could barely recognise his wife through all the bruises and band aids in her face. He eyes were closed. She was keep breathing thought a tube in her mouth.

    Brian closed his eyes, again hoping that he would be waking up for this bad dream soon.

    “I have to be strong. I have to be there for her” he repeated over and over again in his head. He was sure that this was the only thing keeping him from falling apart.

    He approached the hospital bed and picked up a chair located at the end of the bed. He barely found any space next to the bed to settle down next to the fragile looking form of his wife. He carefully grabbed her hand, which was hooked up to IV’s and blood transfusions squeezing it a little.

    Finally, after some moments of just looking at her, he finally found a little strange to speak to her.

    “Honey, you can’t go. I need you here with me. I need you, and Baylee needs you as well. I don’t even know about him, how he is. Nobody is telling me. I can’t loose you. I can’t cope with this. Please fight honey. Please!” He couldn’t say anything more, or else he would have lost it.

    He put Leighanne’s lifeless hand into both of his, speaking a silent prayer.



    Dr Robben had watched Brian walking into the room and after some seconds, grabbing a chair and sitting down.

    Then he left the couple alone trying to get any news on their son.

    After some minutes of searching, he meet Dr Clark, his assistance.

    “Judy, do you know anything about the Littrell son? He must have been brought here with his mother!” he asked her.

    “Yes, I was treating him when he came here” Judy Clark replied.

    “How is he?” Robben asked firmly.

    “He’s in surgery right now. His condition is very critical. Head trauma, broken bones, a punctured lung…shell I go on? It’s a miracle he’s still alive” she explained sounding really sad and tired.
    “How is the mother?”

    “Currently in Coma. But due to the seriousness of her head injuries…I’m going to run some EEG now, but… I’m almost 100 per dent sure there will be no activity left.” The doctor explained, hating to admit the fact that there was absolutely nothing he could do about it.

    “Never give up hope, Marcus!” his assistance said, trying to sound encouraging.

    “I won’t, but there is not much left…”

    “Did you get that?” someone behind asked.

    Doctor Robben and Doctor Clark spun around and then were greeted by a microphone with an MTV icon on it.

    “Did you just say that Leighanne Littrell, wife of Backstreet Boys Brian Littrell is dead?” the man asked speaking into the microphone and now hurrying to get it back under Robben’s nose so that his answer wouldn’t be missed. Behind him was another man, carrying a TV camera on his shoulder.

    “How are you? What are you doing here? This is a hospital!” he responded, anger rising in his voice.

    “This is Tim Bascott for MTV Breaking News. How is Littrell’s son? There where rumours saying that he was also in the car…” again the microphone was under his nose.

    “Out! NOW! Security!” Dr Robben shouted angrily.

    Just some seconds later two male nurse approached the MTV team and guided them out of the building.

    Robben and Clark followed them some meters and saw that there were another dozen of reporter teams form all bigger and less big TV channels waiting at the entrance of the building.

    “Horrible persons!” Marcus Robben said disdaining.

    “Did you know that?” Judy glanced at the boss.

    “I thought that this guy somehow looked familiar” he explained.

    “This means a lot more work and stress to keep this pack of vultures out of here!” she said sounding annoyed.

    “And it’s going to be a lot harder for Brian Littrell. As if it wasn’t hard enough already” with that said he left his assistance standing in the hallway heading of in direction of intensive care unit.

    He turned one more time.

    “Tell me everything about the boy as soon as you know. You know where to find me!”
    This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7920