I'll Be Your Secret by fairytaleprincess
Summary:
Secret: adj. Something kept hidden from others, or known only to oneself or to a few.

That?s what Lainey agrees to?..keeping their love hidden. But is it something she can do? Because everyone knows, things never stay secret for long.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 14306 Read: 6694 Published: 08/08/06 Updated: 08/16/06

1. Chapter 1 by fairytaleprincess

2. Chapter 2 by fairytaleprincess

3. Chapter 3 by fairytaleprincess

4. Chapter 4 by fairytaleprincess

5. Chapter 5 by fairytaleprincess

Chapter 1 by fairytaleprincess
“Aiden Phillips did not ask you out?!”

“He did so! Heh, we’re going out Friday night.”

Lainey Emmerson gripped the phone tighter and blinked. “You are not!”

“Am too.” Her best friend since third grade giggled through the earpiece. “He’s picking me up at six.”

“Emma...” Lainey blinked rapidly, trying to register the new information. “This is some kind of joke, right?....” she paused momentarily. “I mean...even if he had asked you out, you’d say no, right?” She quickly checked her blind spot and switched into the right lane, moving between some cars.

Lainey could hear Emma’s sigh over the phone. “Lainey....”

She imagined she was rolling her eyes.

“I thought you were over him?”

“Well....I....I am...” she quickly defended herself. “Pfft, girl my crush was years ago.”

“So why would it bother you if we went out?”

She opened her mouth to respond, but nothing came out. Sighing, she shut it again and slowed as the brake lights on the car ahead of her lit up. “Fine...go out with him.”

Emma was silent for a moment, and when she spoke her voice was quiet. “Lainey...does it really bother you that I go out with him?”

“No......” She sighed loudly and switched the phone to her left ear, steering with her right hand. “It just figures...ya know....all through high school I crush on him and then we get out and you start dating him.”

“I wouldn’t call this dating him.” Emma laughed. “It’s one date, Laines....and who knows, maybe I’ll think he’s a jerk.”

“Aiden is not a jerk.” She shook her head, brushing some strands of her blonde hair that had fallen out of its ponytail out of her eyes.

“People change, Laines.”

“Yeah....I know....” she blew a puff of air out from between her lips and flipped her turn signal on. “Okay, but let’s change the subject.” She moved her little two-door Honda Civic into the right turn lane. “What are you doing tonight?”

“Hanging out with you.” Emma replied, her voice brightening. “You decided if you wanna go out yet?”

“Hm.....not yet.” Lainey shook her head as she drove down the tree lined street. “I mean....yeah, it’d be fun but I dunno if I’m up for it. We’ve been out about every night this week.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean.” Emma’s voice cracked slightly with the reception. “Well we can just stay home and watch movies....maybe do facials.”

Lainey nodded and switched the phone back to her right ear. “Or maybe we could just go see a movie. I’ve wanted to see The Mona Lisa Smile.”

“Ooh Paycheck sounds good too.”

“Ew.....” Lainey rolled her eyes and slowed for a stop sign. “Ben Affleck.”

“Yeah yeah....not a big fan.” She knew Emma was probably rolling her eyes as she said that. “Okay, so he’s not AJ McLean....but Laines, he is pretty hot.”

“You don’t even like AJ McLean....” Lainey scowled slightly, glancing down at the dash on the car radio.

“I said that for your benefit.” She explained. “You’re always dreaming about him.”

Lainey just rolled her own eyes. “I am not.” She reached over and flipped the radio on, keeping the volume low so she could hear her friend still.

“Oh whatever, girl....you know you want his body.” Emma giggled the sentence out. She always found it humorous, the secret obsession her friend harbored over the celebrity.

“Yeah....well you want Mark McGrath.” She retorted, hitting the button on the radio to change the stations.

“Who doesn’t? Laines...he’s hotttt.” She retorted, stressing the last word. “And he’s not a Backstreet Boy.”

“Hey!” Lainey frowned as she rounded a curve in the road. “There is nothing wrong with being a Backstreet Boy!” Her voice held a slight tone of displeasure.

Emma just giggled before taking a breath. “I know.....I know, I’m sorry. I’m just picking on you.” She laughed. “It’s just too easy sometimes, Laines.”

“Yeah...well....it’s not funny.” She flexed her fingers on the steering wheel and shifted in her seat. There were just some things she was sensitive about...and her secret crush was one of them. She didn’t know why, really. Maybe because everyone joked on her about it.

“Aww......” Emma pouted over the phone. “I’m sorry, Lainey...”

“No, it’s okay. I’m over it.” Lainey shrugged it off. “Okay, but seriously....what are we doing tonight?” She grabbed up the CD case from the passenger seat, and set it in her lap.

“I dunno yet.....maybe we just wait and see what we feel up to.”

“I guess we could.” She sighed and begin flipping through the CD’s, glancing down at them quickly at each page. “So you just going to come over to my place then?”

“Yeah...I suppose I could.” Emma’s voice breathed through the line. “But why don’t you come over to mine instead. Jessie’s gone to Tahoe to see her parents, so it’d be just us.”

“Well it’d be just us at my place too.” Lainey slipped the newest Nickelback CD out of the case.

“Yeah...yeah, you don’t have to rub it in about living by yourself, ya know.” Her friend teased over the line.

“Oh shush.” She giggled a little herself and hit the button for the CD player, ejecting the current disc. “But if you want me to come to yours....I can do that.” She shifted again, sliding the Nickelback on in, and sitting back in her seat.

“Yeah....come over to my place. We can go through Jessie’s movies and watch some. I swear, she has more movies than I can even begin to count.”

Lainey laughed lightly as she slowed the car, moving into a residential area. “Well, she’s your roommate.”

“Yeah, and I like her but she’s the biggest movie freak I have ever come across.” Emma explained.

“Alright....what time? Do you want me to bring the stuff for the facials?” Lainey checked the road, then glanced down to the case as she slipped the CD into it.

Suddenly a loud crunch filled the air as Lainey’s body was jolted forward then snapped back and her airbag whooshed out and into her face, cushioning her body from the steering wheel. She let out a shriek and slammed her foot on the break, her phone falling from her hand and skittering somewhere under the seats.

“Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God....” She breathed out pushing the airbag aside as it slowly deflated, her car now at a complete stop. Rubbing her forehead, she slowly blinked and took in the sight before her. The blue crumpled hood of her Civic smashed up against the back of a nice, silver BMW.

“Fuck!” She cursed, gritting her teeth together and quickly unbuckling. Damnit, she’d rear ended somebody. Just great....perfect. But it didn’t look like the BMW was too badly damaged. Unlike her car. Her parents were going to kill her. “Shit!” She grabbed her purse and leaned over, trying to feel for her phone. Wait till Emma found out what had happened.

Her fingers enclosed around the small, silver phone and she pulled it out, lifting it to her ear. “Emma?”

.....ainey?! Oh my God, Lainey, what the hell was that? What happened?!” Emma’s voice rushed over the line, panicked.

“Uh....I hit someone.” She bit her lip and watched the car ahead of her.

“You what?!” Emma shrieked. “You were driving?!”

Lainey winced and held the phone back a little, her eyes still trained on the BMW, watching as the driver’s side door opened. “Um yeah...” She held her breath, praying some guy wasn’t going to jump out with a baseball bat and start bashing her head in.

“God, Lainey I can’t believe you were driving and talking on your phone at the same time.” Emma let out a loud sigh. “Are you okay? Who did you hit? Are they okay? Did you call the police?” She rattled off the questions at her.

“Uh....I think they’re getting out now.” She bit her lip and watched the figure step out of the car. “But um yeah....I...I’m okay. I wasn’t going that fast.”

“Good....but now you have to call the cops.” Emma instructed.

“Uh....I...I know.” Lainey rubbed her forehead, blinking as she watched the person head towards her car. Suddenly her eyes went wide and she gripped the phone tighter, sitting up straight. “Holy shit!”

“What....what?” Emma’s voice shot through the line.

“Oh my God...oh my God...oh my God.....Emma!” She squeaked out, feeling her chest starting to heave and a panic set in.

“What....what...Lainey what?” Emma was practically screaming over the line.

“Oh my God oh my God oh my God oh my God oh my God....” Lainey rambled the words out. “Emma!” She exclaimed.

“What?!” Emma shouted.

Lainey bit her lip and let out another squeak as the person bent to her window, tapping on the glass. “I hit AJ McLean’s car....I hit AJ McLean’s car....” she lowered her voice, pushing herself back in the seat and sending sideways glances to the window.

There was a slight pause. “You....WHAT?!”

The knock came again on the window.

“Uh um....I gotta go.” She quickly breathed out, lowering the phone and flipping it shut. Holy shit....she had run into AJ McLean. AJ MCLEAN! Out of the millions of people in LA.....she had hit him. HIM! Taking a deep breath, and pushing the stray hair out of her face with shaking hands, she turned and slowly rolled down the window.

“Are you alright?” His chocolate eyes bore into hers, concern etching through them.

Lainey didn’t know if she would be able to speak. “I uh....I um....uh....yeah...” she finally managed out, just nodding her head.

“Are you sure?” He stepped back and reached for the handle, pulling the door open.

God, okay Lainey...you can do this. She silently lectured herself. You have to do this. “Uh....yeah, I’m okay.” She nodded again.

“You sure?” He questioned again, moving back and kneeling beside her. “Was that the police?”

“Uh....no....” She took a deep breath, letting out a small squeak as she inhaled his cologne. God, he smelled good. And his voice...oh Lord.

“Alright...well um...here....” He stood and gently grabbed her arm. “Let’s get you out.” Then he slowly helped ease her up and out of the car.

Lainey slid out and stumbled as her legs buckled. “Whoa....” Great, and make an ass out of yourself, why don’t you.

“Easy there....” He caught her and slid an arm around her waist, drawing her closer to him.

Lainey felt the heat of his body move through hers and blinked, everything suddenly hitting her. With a groan she pushed herself away from him. “Oh my God...I am so sorry...I....I...” she glanced over to their cars, then back to him. “I’m sorry....I...I’ll pay for all the damages. God.....I’m such an idiot!” She smacked herself in the forehead.

AJ just watched her, tilting his head sideways and giving a low chuckle. “Hey now....no need to beat up on yourself. They’re just cars.” He reached up and adjusted the ball cap on his head.

“Yeah I....I....” she rubbed her face. “Shit...my parents are going to kill me.” And Emma’s going to laugh her ass off. She added silently. She was never going to live this one down. Wait till their other friends found out. “Great job, Lainey.” She scoffed at herself and shook her head.

“Well um...look.” AJ moved over to the cars and surveyed the damage. “It’s not as bad as it looks.”

“No?” She looked hopeful, moving beside him and taking in the crumpled fender and hood of her Civic and his slightly mangled back bumper. Okay, so it really wasn’t that bad, but it still wasn’t pretty.

He shook his head, sending her a sideways grin. “I got a good friend who fixes cars....he’ll shine mine back up in no time.”

“Well um...uh that’s great.” Lainey nodded and hugged herself, rubbing her arms. Maybe they should call the cops now. Get this over with so she could go hide in her room the rest of her life.

“Yeah....” AJ spoke slowly, stepping back and looking her over. “He uh....” he wet his lips as the corners of his mouth curved upwards. “He might be able to fix yours too.”

“Really?” She blinked and looked at him.

He nodded and tugged on his ball cap again, his eyes raking over her body. “Oh yeah....and it’d be a lot cheaper than going through your insurance company.” He shrugged casually. “We wouldn’t even have to call the cops.”

“It would....we wouldn’t?” She stared in shock at him. Lord, if he was telling the truth then God bless him. She really couldn’t afford another ticket...more points on her license...or higher insurance rates.

AJ chuckled then smirked, his deep eyes twinkling. “Look, you wanna get this done fast and easy?”

She nodded.

He wet his lips and grinned. “Aight...” he lifted his keys and jiggled them. “Then follow me.”

Lainey blinked. “Excuse me?”

He chuckled and nodded. “Yeah....I’ll lead ya over there.”

“But uh.....I need a car.”

He shrugged. “Shouldn’t take long....helluva lot shorter than going through your insurance.” He lifted a brow. “Cheaper too.”

She sighed and chewed her lower lip, weighing the choices. Finally she nodded. “Okay....alright.”

“Great....then just follow me....uh.....” He lifted a brow and tilted his head at her.

“Lainey.” She giggled a little at him. He looked so cute.

AJ chuckled. “Alright....then just follow me....Lainey.”

The way he said her name sent shivers racing up and down her spine. Quickly she glanced at her car. “Um....do you think it’s safe to drive?”

AJ pressed his lips together. “Hm.....” He moved back and looked her car over. “It should be....it’s just your fender and the hood a little bit. I don’t think the engine is damaged. You didn’t hit me that hard.”

Lainey just nodded, getting another waft of his cologne. Damn it should be illegal to smell that good.

“Okay, but let’s go.” He grinned at her, then studied her face. “You’re alright to drive...right?”

“Oh...um yeah.” She felt a blush rising on her face at having been caught in that moment.

“Great...okay then, follow me.” He smirked, then winked at her before heading back to the BMW and disappearing inside.

Lainey just watched him go, staring at the space. She quickly pinched herself.....nope not dreaming. And now she was going to follow him to his car guy and get her car fixed...hehe by the same guy that fixed his. Whooo, wait till she told Emma. Though she’d still laugh her ass off at her. But she didn’t care...she had met AJ McLean...and he’d winked at her.
Chapter 2 by fairytaleprincess
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews already. :) Here's another chp. Oh yeah, and I started this story a few years back so AJ is a lil bit younger in it.
“I’m uh....really sorry that I hit your car.” Lainey apologized, biting her bottom lip as she fiddled with the straw in her soda.

AJ chuckled and held up a hand. “For the hundredth time, don’t worry about it.”

“I know....and you keep saying that....” she shifted in the booth and looked over at him. God, he was beautiful. “But I still feel bad. I should have been paying more attention.”

AJ just shrugged and leaned back in the booth, stretching his arms out on the seat behind him. “Well, no harm done. They’re both being fixed.”

Lainey nodded and smiled. “Thank you so much for helping me out.” She tucked some hair behind her ear. “My parents would have flipped.”

True to his word, AJ had led her to a garage...and after explaining the situation and cutting a quick deal....Jason; the friend...had agreed to fix the cars. In fact, he had said Lainey might even get hers back that night. And now, they sat across the street at a small diner, having a snack. Though Lainey had been too nervous, upset....and excited to eat anything.

He just nodded and pulled a pack of cigarettes out from his pocket. “Do you mind?” He held them up.

She shook her head and shifted, swinging her legs.

“You want one?” He held them out to her?

“Oh....no thanks.” She shook her head again.

AJ grinned at her and pulled out a cigarette, then he withdrew a lighter and lit it up, sticking it between his lips and inhaling.

Lainey watched him, still not believing that she was sitting across the table from AJ McLean. Something she’d only ever dreamed about. He was so perfect. His eyes, his hair, his lips, his goatee, his little facial expressions...that man was just total perfection.

“What....” He sucked the cigarette, then held it over the ash tray and flicked the ashes.

“Oh uh.....nothing.” She quickly shook her head, feeling her face warm at having been caught staring.

He chuckled and leaned forward in the booth. “No....you were thinking something....what?” He wiggled his brows at her and took another drag.

Lainey racked her brain. “Um....just uh...just that I was surprised that you weren’t pissed about your car and didn’t go off on me.” There...that sounded believable. And she had been thinking that...just not at that exact moment.

“Ahh...” He chuckled lightly and leaned back again, propping an arm up behind him on the seat. “Well to be honest...at first I was...” he held the cigarette between his fingers and flicked it. “But then I got outta the car and saw you and...” he trailed off and lifted it back to his mouth, his deep eyes trained on hers. “And I couldn’t be mad at such a gorgeous, sexy woman.” His voice rasped the words out and his brows lifted slightly.

Lainey blinked. Had he just called her gorgeous and sexy? No way. She blushed and ducked her head. “Uh....thanks.”

He laughed a little. “You’re cute too.”

Her blush deepened and she intently studied the table.

AJ chuckled and flicked the ashes of his cigarette into the ash tray once more. “So how old are you?”

“Um....22.” She lifted her head and met his gaze again, taking a breath and reminding herself to stay calm. He was just a regular guy. “And you’re.....” she trailed off and lifted a brow. There was no damn way she was admitting to knowing that already. There was no damn way she was admitting to knowing even half of what she did.

He sent her a small smirk. “Just turned 27.”

Lainey nodded. “I’ll be 23 in March..” she blew some air out her mouth. “Man, I’m getting old.”

AJ laughed. “That that makes me old, huh?” His eyes twinkled at her. “Funny....I don’t feel old.”

“Well um...okay not old. But older.” She explained, shifting in the booth and drawing a leg up under her. “But in like....thirty years we will be old.”

“Okay, yeah I agree with you there.” He took a final drag of his cigarette and then snubbed it into the ashtray. “Though I still plan on looking this good when I get there.” He winked at her.

Lainey giggled. “Hehe totally....and I’ll still look sexy and gorgeous.” Wow she couldn’t believe she was actually sitting here casually flirting with him. Ahhh, wait till she told Emma!

“And cute....” He tilted his head and studied her.

She blushed slightly and smiled at him, the air filling with a sudden uncomfortable silence.

AJ finally cleared his throat, breaking it. “So uh....you got a boyfriend?”

Lainey blinked. “Um....no.” She shook her head.

“Really?” He lifted a brow and shifted in the seat. “That surprises me.”

“Why?” Her brow creased and she leaned her elbows on the table, propping her chin into her hands.

“Oh....just because you’re beautiful...sexy...funny...” he shrugged. “Guys like that in a girl.”

“Oh....” She smiled shyly. “Thanks....”

He flashed her his famous grin. “And cute...can’t forget that.”

Lainey giggled. “Oh right...” Then she tilted her head and watched him, a small smirk on her lips. “Are you flirting with me?”

“Me?” He held a hand to himself and grinned at her. When she nodded, he chuckled. “Maybe....why, do you want me to stop?”

Quickly she shook her head. “No....hehe...” she blushed and bit her lip. “I mean....it’s uh....nice.”

AJ’s grin deepened. “Actually...I’m doing it to see you blush.” He chuckled and wet his lips, his tongue dragging along his bottom lip slowly. “You look cute when you do.”

She felt her face flush and couldn’t meet his gaze. So he was doing this to her on purpose. And he thinks she looks cute? Suddenly Lainey wanted to giggle and bounce around. But no, she had to control herself. There would be no freaking out about AJ flirting and thinking she was cute and sexy.

He snickered and stretched his legs out under the table. “So Lainey....what is it that you do?”

“Actually I’ll be graduating UCLA this fall with a business degree.” She glanced up at him, grinning proudly. “And I think I actually want to go into advertising.”

“Like come up with slogans and jingles?”

“Sort of...yeah.” She agreed. “Like in the movie What Women Want. I wanna do what Mel and Helen’s characters do.”

AJ nodded. “That sounds cool.” He reached for another cigarette.

“I hope so.” She shifted in the seat and opened her mouth, before quickly shutting it again.

“What?” AJ noticed as he was tucking his lighter away.

“Nothing...” She quickly shook her head. Oops...she’d almost asked what he did. God forbid she asks and he says something about her already knowing. She didn’t want to blush anymore than she already had.

He studied her a minute, as if he didn’t believe her...then shrugged and reached for the bill. “You ready to go check on your car?”

“Yeah..” Lainey nodded and slid from the booth, grabbing her purse. “How much do I owe?”

“Uh.....it says....” AJ scanned the bill. “Nothing.” He smirked over at her and headed for the register.

Lainey blinked and followed. “No...seriously, what do I owe? I have money.”

“That’s good to know.” He smiled warmly at her and handed the cashier the bill along with a twenty.

She sighed. “Then I’m leaving the tip.” Smirking, she moved back to the table and pulled out a five, lifting an upside down coffee cup and sticking the corner of it underneath.

AJ was waiting for her at the door when she got back up front. He held it open for her and she just smirked at him, moving past him and outside. He chuckled and followed her out. They made their way back across the street and into the body shop his buddy owned.

Once inside, Lainey glanced around....taking in the smell of oil and fumes. Reminded her of when she was little and she’d sit out in the garage with her dad while he fixed up his old cars. He’d always had a passion with doing up clunkers. But he was really good at it and they’d end up being really nice cars...which he’d sell and use the money to buy another junker. And start the whole process over again.

“I’ve got some bad news.” The voice broke through her thoughts and she glanced towards the door that led to the garage.

A tall, lanky man with dark corn rolled hair, dressed in baggy gray coveralls was in the doorway, wiping his dirty hands on a rag.

“Oh yeah......what’s that?” AJ lifted his head as he stuck his hands into his pockets.

The man moved further into the room, tossing the rag behind him. “I’ve got to order a part for the Honda, so she won’t be ready till maybe tomorrow or the next day.”

“What?” Lainey blinked and stared at him. Jason, as he’d been introduced.

He nodded. “Yeah...but don’t worry...she’ll be back soon. I promise.”

“This...this is just great.” She frowned. “I have things I have to do tomorrow...I need my car.”

“Well you can’t exactly drive it right now...so I’m afraid that won’t be possible.” Jason just shook his head. “We already ordered the part...it should get here tomorrow...day after at the latest. You’ll have it back by then.”

“That doesn’t help me now, does it?” She folded her arms and shot him a look. He had told her the car would be ready today.

“Is mine ready?” AJ interrupted the discussion.

Jason turned to him and nodded, stretching his back a little. “Yup...just needed the fender fixed. You can take her now if you want.”

Lainey snorted and glanced out the large windows to the parking area. At least if she’d gone through her insurance, she’d have a rental. Now she was SOL...shit outta luck.

“Aight...thanks man.” Then he turned to Lainey. “What do you have to do tomorrow?”

She sighed and met his gaze, a sudden shiver running down her spine. She still couldn’t believe AJ McLean was really standing just a foot away from her. “I have errands....bills to pay, I have to go to the bank...run by my mom’s....get groceries....” she began listing off her to do list.

AJ listened then nodded after she’d finished. “Alright...” he turned to Jason. “How much do I owe ya, man?” He reached for his wallet.

“Nothing dude...I still owed you one.” The man shook his head, holding out his hands.

AJ studied him. “You sure?”

When Jason nodded, he shrugged and stuck his wallet back into his jeans.

“Yeah man....and I’ll give ya a call as soon as the Honda’s done. Shouldn’t be any later then day after tomorrow.”

“Thanks man....she out front?”

“Yep....” He grabbed some keys from a key hook and tossed them at AJ.

AJ caught them and turned back to Lainey. “Let’s roll.”

“Are....are you taking me home?” Her wide green eyes watched him.

“Would you rather walk?” He arched a brow.

“Uh.....no. It’d be a long walk.” She shook her head.

“Then come on...” He waved his hand then headed back outside, calling a bye to his friend.

Lainey followed him. “He better have my car fixed by tomorrow.”

“Well if not, you’ll definitely have it back by the next day.” AJ hit his keyless entry and unlocked the car. “Jason’s good with his word.”

“Pfft...no he’s not.” She snorted. “He said it’d be fixed today...it’s not.”

“He had to order a part.” He reached the passenger door and pulled it open. “Once he gets it in, it’ll be done in no time.”

“Well, that’s just great...but what am I supposed to do about tomorrow?” She sighed and slid into the car, feeling the cool leather of the interior. Wow...nice car. She watched as he shut her door then jogged around to his side, stopping by the back and checking the fender out along the way. Then he slid in behind the wheel. “You have some nice wheels.”

He grinned and started the car, checking over his gauges. “Thanks...just got her a few months ago.”

“Oh my God...I’m so sorry.” She blinked and covered her mouth with her hand. “I’m such an idiot.”

“Nah...it’s cool.” He flashed her another famous AJ McLean grin, then put the car in reverse and checked behind him, backing it up.

“I still feel really bad.” She chewed her lower lip. “If I knew how to make it up to you.....I would.”

AJ just shrugged and steered the car out onto the road, moving into the far right lane. “So....you have errands you need to run tomorrow...huh?”

“Not anymore..” Lainey sighed and leaned back in the seat.

AJ glanced over at her, then back to the road. “Well...um...I’m not doing anything tomorrow....I’ll drive ya around.”

“What?” She blinked at him, then rapidly shook her head. “Ooh no...no that’s okay. I can just do them another day....” Dear Lord, had he just said what he had?

“No....I can.” He slowed for a red light and turned to her. “It’s the least I could do. I mean...you don’t have a car and I did say my man could get it fixed fast...” His deep eyes studied her. “And I have nothing else to do.”

“Somehow I find that hard to believe...” Then she shook her head again. “No, it’s my own fault for hitting you. I couldn’t let you spend your day doing that.”

“It’s no big deal.” AJ glanced to the light, then back to her. “I know if it were me, I’d want someone to help me out.”

“Well um....I can call a friend.”

“What time were you planning on leaving tomorrow?”

“Like 9ish....” she eyed him.

He grinned at her and turned back to the wheel, starting through the green light. “Great...then I’ll be over about a quarter till.”

Her eyes widened. “Then I’m leaving at 8:30.”

“I’ll be there at 8:15.” He sent her a smirk.

“Eight o’clock.”

“7:45.”

“7:30.” she shot at him.

He chuckled. “I can just drop you off and wait outside all night for ya. Do I need to take the expressway?”

“Yeah...” Lainey nodded, then shook her head. “I mean yes the expressway and no you’re not going to wait outside all night for me.”

AJ laughed as he moved into the lane for the freeway. “Then I’ll be there at 8:45....and you better not be gone.”

She just sighed and leaned back into the seat. Spending the day running errands with AJ McLean. She could not believe this. Good Lord...wait until Emma found out.
Chapter 3 by fairytaleprincess
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews. :)
“I came as soon as I could!” Emma Diamond exclaimed as she burst through the door of Lainey’s apartment later that evening. Her wide brown eyes were filled with worry and concern, and her thick, curly golden hair pulled back in a ponytail, bouncing as she rushed in.

“Hey.” Lainey looked up from the magazine she was flipping through.

“Okay, so tell me all!” Emma dropped her purse onto the floor next to the wall and slid onto the sofa with her friend. “And I mean all! I tried calling you like a hundred times but you shut your phone off.” She pouted her full, round lips.

“I know...” Lainey giggled a little and tossed the magazine onto the coffee table, pulling her legs up and under her Indian style. “You were blowing up my phone and it was getting annoying.”

“Well if you had just answered and told me what was going on I would have stopped.” Emma retorted, grabbing a couch pillow and hugging it to her chest.

Lainey giggled. “Right, like I was going to go on about hitting AJ McLean, with him standing right next to me.” She playfully rolled her eyes.

“Oh shush!” Emma laughed and swatted at her with the pillow. “But seriously.....” her eyes went wide again and she set the pillow in her lap, brushing some stray hair from her face. “Tell me everything....hehehehe like, was he mad...did he yell...hehe, did he sweep ya off your feet and fuck ya in the back of his Benz?”

“No...” Lainey giggled, her face blushing slightly at that thought.

“Then what happened?” Emma bounced, causing the couch to wiggle a little. “Come on...don’t keep me in suspense.”

“Okay, okay...” Lainey laughed and shook her head. “So I hit him right....”

Emma nodded, already hanging onto her friend’s every word. “How did you hit him? Whose fault was it?”

“Well I rear ended him.....mine.” She answered retucking her legs and continuing with her story. “And he gets out and I was freaking out....even worse when I saw who it was.....” She sighed. “Can you believe I meet him because I smash into his car?” She shook her head. “I’m such an idiot.”

“Aww...” Emma giggled and pulled her legs up, wrapping her arms around them. “I’m sure he doesn’t think so.”

Lainey shrugged and continued with her story, enjoying her friend’s reaction as she relayed the events of her day. She told about his offer to get her car fixed, how he thought she was cute and sexy, how he flirted with her, how her car hadn’t been fixed...and finally ended with how he had taken her home; purposely leaving out that he was coming over the next day to run her on her errands.

After she’d finished, Emma just sat there, slowly shaking her head in disbelief. “Wow.....” she giggled lightly.

“I know, right.” Lainey couldn’t keep the grin that slipped over her face off. Not that she wanted to. She had met him....finally met him. And not just a shake your hand, offer a hug, sign an autograph meeting...no a real true, he’s not going to forget her, kind of meeting...or know she’s a fan.

“You’ve finally done it.” Emma stretched her legs out. “You finally met the man of your dreams.”

“Well....I wouldn’t say that....” Lainey started.

“Pfft, oh whatever....you know you dream about him and pine away for him, and kiss his poster each night before bed.” She smirked.

“So maybe I have had dreams and pined away...but I have never kissed his poster.” She laughed and shook her head. “I don’t even have a poster up.”

“Maybe not, but you got ‘em all in a box in your closet, don’t you?” Emma arched her brows.

“Yeah, well you have Mark McGrath posters.” She retorted.

“I never denied it.” Emma laughed. “And relax, Laines...I’m just teasing.”

“Sorry,” Lainey apologized. “You now I always get defensive about that kind of stuff.”

Emma nodded. “I know......and I’m sorry.” She stretched, giving a small yawn. “So when do you get your car back?”

“Uh...tomorrow or day after.” Lainey shrugged. “Better not take any longer than that.”

“What are you going to do about all your errands you were supposed to run tomorrow?” Emma blinked as if it’d suddenly dawned on her.

“Oh....um well...” Lainey wet her lips and picked at the couch cushion. “Funny you should bring that up....”

“Aww Laines, you know I’d drive ya around but tomorrow I have that meeting, and we’re really hoping to cinch the deal.” She pouted at her friend. Emma worked for a rather large law firm, as a paralegal. And the firm was currently in talks with a major recording company. The company signing with the firm meant big dollar signs for everyone.

“Oh, no it’s okay.” Lainey sent her a genuine grin. “Someone’s already offered to taxi me around.” She giggled a little. “Well, threatened to sleep outside my house if I didn’t agree to it.”

“Who?”

Lainey held back her squeal and tried to remain calm. “AJ.”

Emma just blinked at her.

Lainey giggled and nodded. “Yeah...hehehe, AJ McLean is taking me on my errands tomorrow.” She bounced on the couch and let the squeal out. “How fucking cool is that?!”

“You...you’re kidding right?” Emma stared at her incredulity.

Lainey just giggled and shook her head, squeaking out a ‘no’.

“Oh my God, that is so cool!” Emma lunged for her friend, pulling her in for a hug and bouncing with her.

“I know!” She returned the hug. “Now I have to find something to wear. How should I do my hair? Man, ooh I should wear my new cute sandals and paint my toes nails...” she began rambling off, her words spilling over themselves.

“Wow Lainey...” Emma moved back and leaned into the arm of the couch. “This is just like one of your fanfics.”

Lainey blushed and shrugged. “You know I don’t really write those anymore.”

“Who cares, it’s still like one.” Emma shrugged her words off. “You guys will go out tomorrow...and fall madly in love, then he’ll steal you away to some remote island where you will have hot, steamy sex all over.....and finally come back where you find out you’re carrying his love child....he’ll propose and you’ll have a huge elaborate wedding.” She smirked. “With moi, of course, as the maid of honor.”

“Ooh shut up, whatever. That is so not going to happen.” She rolled her eyes and tried not to laugh. “He does have a girlfriend.” She scowled.

“Oh, is he still going out with that Sarah bitch?” Emma slid off the couch and stretched out on the floor.

Lainey pouted. “God yes...that evil she devil.” She shivered. “Ugh!”

“Well maybe you’ll steal him away.”

“One can only hope.” She sighed wistfully. “But God, I can’t stand that girl. Everyone knows she’s using him!”

Emma shrugged. “They say love is blind.”

“It’s not love...she just has him under her evil mind control.”

“You don’t really think they’re in love?” She lifted a brow and tilted her head at her.

“Hell no....” Lainey shook her head. “She’s using him....but I can’t really figure out why he’s with her.” She tilted her head. “I think it’s cuz he seems the type of person that just wants to be loved and when someone comes along....he falls. Not that he really fell.....its brainwashing.” She explained.

Emma was silent for a moment. “Did you tell him all this?”

“Are you fucking crazy?!” Lainey grabbed the discarded pillow and hurled it at her. “As a matter of fact, he didn’t even mention a girlfriend or being attached.” she smirked. “Though he did ask if I was....”

“What do you suppose that means?” Emma laughed and caught the pillow, sticking her tongue out at her friend before tucking the pillow under her head.

“I don’t know...maybe that he doesn’t want her, and wants me.” She giggled then sighed and fell over sideways on the couch.

“Yeah well...one can always hope, right?” Emma teased.

Lainey just pouted at her. “Yeah well, why else would he have volunteered to spend all day driving me around?”

She shrugged. “Maybe cuz he felt bad.”

“I hit him...he had nothing to feel bad about.”

“Well then.....maybe.....maybe....” Emma bit her lip as she thought.

“Maybe he was entranced by my beauty and is drawn to me...” She giggled and sat back up. “Or he wanted to escape being with the she devil for the day. Which works too.”

Emma laughed and pulled herself into a sitting position. “You know what would be really funny....” she giggled.

“What?” Lainey carefully regarded her friend.

She giggled again and took a breath. “If you accidentally called her she devil in front of him.”

Lainey balked. “That would not be funny!” She searched for another object to throw at her friend, but was unsuccessful. So she just folded her arms. “I think I have more sense than that.”

“Oh I don’t know....” Emma shrugged casually. “You always call her she devil...it’d be an easy mistake.”

She humphed. “Well it won’t happen cuz I am not going to talk about her.”

This sent Emma into a fit of giggles. “Ooh what if he brings her up?” She laughed. “I can see you like just bristling....clenching your jaw but trying to smile and be all sweet.”

Lainey pouted. “You are so mean to me.”

“Aww......” Emma chuckled lowly. “I’m sorry...I won’t say anything anymore.”

“Well at least not about that stuff.”

Emma nodded. “Okay....so what do you wanna talk about?”

“What I’m going to wear tomorrow! Come on!” She leaped from the couch and grabbed her friend’s arm, pulling her down the hall behind her.

Emma just laughed and followed her friend. “Something that shouts out....’take me, AJ!’”

“Shut up!” Lainey giggled and burst into her room, yanking her closet doors open.

“Hm....no better yet, I think you should forgo the panties and bra, wear a tight white tank and some short shorts.”

“You can leave, ya know.” She scanned her wide array of clothes, trying to ignore her friend’s teasing.

“No I can’t...you need my help.” She fell onto the bed and giggled. “Okay, but I’ll behave.” Then she blinked. “Oooh I’m totally coming over tomorrow morning.”

“Oh no you’re not.” Lainey scowled at Emma, then began yanking clothes from the hangers, holding them up to herself, shaking her head and tossing them aside.

“Yes I am.” Emma began lightly bouncing up and down on the bed. “I want to meet this hottie.”

“You don’t think he’s hot and no you’re not.” She continued rummaging through her closet. “Ahhh, I have nothing to wear!”

“Girl, calm down....you have plenty of clothes.” Emma joined her at the closet and kicked through the pile on the floor.

“No I don’t...I have nothing to wear.” She sighed and fell down into her papazon chair, pouting.

“Lainey....” Emma sighed and rubbed the back of her neck. “Stop whining and pouting. You’re worse than a five year old.”

“Well I’m sorry.....but I just want to look really good for him tomorrow.”

“And you will...” Emma began sorting through the pile of clothes. “Trust me, Lainey. You’ll knock his socks off and have him saying....‘Sarah who?’.”

“I wish.” Lainey giggled a little as she watched her friend. “I wonder what she thinks about him doing this.”

“Eh, who cares.” Emma pulled out a dark print tee with New York written on it and tossed it at her. “Maybe they’ll fight about it and break up.”

“Maybe.....” She swung her legs in the chair and looked the shirt over. “This is cute.”

“And then he’ll be on the rebound tomorrow and you two can have your way with each other in the back of his BMW.” She tossed some low rising jeans with a black studded belt at her. “That’s what you’re wearing tomorrow.”

Lainey looked over the jeans, then the shirt again. “You think it’s cute enough? Hehehe man that’d be hot.”

Emma laughed and sank back down onto the bed. “Yes...wear it.” She scooted back until she was leaning against the wall. “And you’re always saying....he could easily seduce you.”

“That’s cuz he could.” She shivered at the thought. “All he has to do is look at me with those eyes of his...and I’m gone.....thud.” She giggled and sighed. “Man, those eyes in person are even more ooooh than the pictures. They don’t do him justice.” She leaned back in the chair, the clothes on her lap. “He is so beautiful, Emma. I mean utterly breathtaking.”

“Heh, maybe you can ask him to show you his lil stage technique.” She smirked and yawned again.

Lainey felt her cheeks redden. “Shut up! You know, for not being a fan, you sure know a lot about him.”

“That’s cuz I listen to your ass go on about it every day.” She lifted her brows. “You’ve been drooling over him for like.....five years now.”

“I know!” She giggled and gave another squeal. “And it’s finally paying off....cuz tomorrow....I GET TO SPEND THE DAY WITH HIM!” She shouted the words then jumped from the chair, tossing her clothes into it behind her and dancing around the room. “I get to....me...moi....yours truly!”

Emma laughed and watched her. “And I’m coming over, bright and early.”

“Emmmmmaaaaa....” Lainey sighed and fell down next to her friend, whining out her name. “You’re just going to embarrass me.”

“Laaaiineeyyyy....I will not.” she mimicked her friend’s pout.

“Yes you will.” She shifted and stretched out on her side, propping her head up with her hand. “You’ll say something about how I’m a fan or something about my cd’s or videos.”

“Gee I’m glad you have so much faith in me.” She retorted dryly.

“I’m sorry....” Lainey sighed and shifted. “I just....I just don’t want to embarrass myself in front of him....cuz he...well he’s AJ McLean.”

“I know...” Emma reached over and grabbed the stuffed penguin one of Lainey’s friends had won her at the fair. “But you have to remember...he’s just a regular guy. He puts his pants on the same way we all do. He farts and burps too. Heck, I’m sure he even scratches himself.”

“Ew...” Lainey made a face. “I don’t need those thoughts of him in my head. And I know...” she nodded. “He’s human too. I do know this...but he’s not normal. You can’t be famous and be normal...society and the media change that.”

“Okay, yeah...but he’s not a god by any means.” She made the penguin walk on the bed.

“I know.....” she stretched out onto her back and studied the ceiling. “But he’s still AJ McLean...the sexiest, hottest guy alive. The guy that has been my dream crush for years.” Then she giggled excitedly. “And I get to spend the day with him. What if I bore him?” She suddenly looked at her friend.

“You’re not going to bore him.”

“But what if I do?” She blinked her wide eyes.

“Did you bore him today?”

Lainey shook her head. “No.....not that I know of. God, what if I did?”

Emma sighed. “I doubt he’d have offered to spend all day tomorrow with you if you had bored him.”

“Oh...good point.” Then she blinked again. “What if we run out of things to talk about and it’s this uncomfortable silence? I hate those. They’re bad enough with guys I don’t fantasize about.”

“I’m sure you’ll have plenty to talk about.” Emma tossed the penguin aside and slid from the bed, stretching her back. “Don’t freak about it, okay...or you’ll be a nervous wreck. And then you’ll look like a complete idiot.”

“Yeah...” Lainey nodded and sat up. “I’ll be good...I can do this. It’ll be fun.” She grinned over at her friend. “And who knows...maybe he will fall in love with me.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hours after Emma had left; Lainey lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling. The thoughts of what was to come that next day, swirled through her mind and it felt like there were a million butterflies in her stomach. She hoped she didn’t make a fool out of herself. That AJ would like her and at least enjoy himself. He had seemed to have had a good time at the diner while they waited for their cars. Hey, he had even flirted with her, that had to mean something. And...he could have just said sorry about her situation and left it at that...but no, he’d insisted on being the one to help her out. So did that mean he was interested in her...even if it was just a teensy tiny bit? A small grin formed over her face and she rolled onto her side, hugging her pillow. Hey, she’d take that.

Just then, the sharp shrill of the phone jolted her and Lainey jumped, sitting up straight. She grabbed the phone from the nightstand and clicked it on, quickly bringing it to her ear. Who would be calling her this late? “Hello?”

There was a short pause.

“Hello?” Lainey frowned and glanced to the digital alarm clock. The glowing green digits read 1:15.

“L...Lainey?” The voice spoke up, soft and hesitant.

Lainey reached over and flipped her lamp on, flooding the room with light and being forced to squint her eyes. “Who is this?”

“Hey...it’s um...it’s Caleb.”

“C...Caleb?” Her eyes grew wide as she felt her breath catch in her throat.

“Yeah....” He responded.

“What um....how um...why...who...” She stammered, not even sure what to say to him. “Wh...why are you calling me?” Quickly she sat up straight and tossed the covers from her legs. She had never thought she’d be hearing from Caleb again.

“Well I um...I...I’m back home.” His voice moved through the receiver. “And I know it’s late, but I’ve been lying here thinking about you and I just...I just...I had to hear your voice.” He spoke rushed, as if he was afraid she’d hang up on him.

But Lainey was too shocked at the moment to do that. She just gaped, not believing she was hearing Caleb on the other end of the phone. “You...you’re home?”

“Yeah...” he continued, in that rushed tone. “They let us go earlier than expected. I didn’t think it’d be for another few months...but here I am.”

She just nodded and ran a hand over her face. “Oh...” What was she supposed to say to that? He was the one that had left her. Broken her heart and left.

There was another pause. “Listen...I know I probably shouldn’t have called, but...” he took a breath. “I miss you, Lainey. I know we left things bad...but I couldn’t stop thinking about you. You were what kept me going.”

Her eyebrows rose and she shifted, leaning against the headboard of her bed. “I kept you going?”

“Yeah,” Caleb continued. “I loved you, Laines. And...and...I think I still do. I don’t think I’ve ever stopped.”

“Whoa...” she shook her head, not believing she was actually hearing this. “Caleb I...um...” Shit, how was she supposed to respond to that?

“I know...I know. It’s a lot to throw at you. And I’m sorry...but I want to see you again.” His voice was low and full of emotion.

“Um...I...I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Lainey shook her head.

“Why not?”

“Because Caleb, it’s been too long. And we’re both in different places in our lives and...and I don’t want to go back down that road.” She kept her voice even despite the sudden feelings that were flooding back through her.

Caleb sighed. “Lainey, I’m sorry if I hurt you. I was young...I didn’t know what else to do.”

“Look Caleb...” She shook her head. “It’s done and over with. Let’s just move on.”

“I don’t want to.” He persisted.

Lainey sighed and rubbed her eyes, knowing she had to say this...but not sure if it was entirely true. “I do...” she wet her lips. “I already have. Goodnight.” Then with another sigh and lowered the phone and shut it off.

Falling back onto her bed, she dropped the cordless onto the floor, bringing her hands up and rubbing her face. That had been a total shocker. Caleb was the last person on Earth that Lainey had ever expected to hear from. And he still loved her and wanted her back? Did he just expect she’d forget how he hurt her and run back into his arms?

Shaking her head, she pulled the covers back over her. It didn’t work that way. You don’t just forgive and forget and continue. She was over Caleb. So then why....did she have an uneasy feeling in her stomach just thinking that?
Chapter 4 by fairytaleprincess
Author's Notes:
Aww thanks so much for the reviews guys. :) You ladies are awesome!
“Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God...” Lainey muttered to herself as she nervously paced back and forth down her hallway. She was nervous. More than nervous, the epitome of nervous. She didn’t think she’d ever been more nervous before in her entire life. What if he didn’t like her? What if she made a fool of herself? What if he didn’t show?

“Okay, Lainey, you have got to calm down.” She tried reasoning with herself. “If he shows and sees you like this...then you’re going to feel so stupid.” Quickly she smoothed her hands through her hair, turning and hurrying back into the bathroom. Was her makeup right? How did her hair look? Oh no did she have toothpaste on the corner of her mouth? She studied herself in the mirror. No...she looked okay. But she could use more powder.

With trembling hands, she grabbed the compact and tried flipping it open, but instead it slipped from her hands and flew across the room, crashing into the wall. Lainey let out a shriek and jumped as a hard pounding sounded on her door. Oh no...he was here. Oh my God and she wasn’t ready yet.

Whimpering, she hurried from the bathroom and down the hall, grabbing her shoes from the floor and trying to slip them on. “Whoa...” she teetered as she missed a step and stumbled, one shoe slipping from her hands and falling to the floor as she fell, only to smack right into the door.

Shit. She winced and pushed herself up, not wanting to open the door now. He surely had to have heard that. Shit, shit, shit... she mentally cursed, straightening her shirt.

“Lainey? Lainey are you okay?” The voice called through the door, the knocking coming again.

“Emma?” Lainey frowned and flipped the locks, pulling the door open.

“Hey...” Her friend gave her a small grin and waved.

“What the hell are you doing here?” She scowled. “I remember specifically telling you NOT to come over.”

“Oh...I must have misheard you.” Emma waved a hand and pushed past Lainey, moving into the room. “I thought you told me TO come over. Sorry...” she smirked and looked around. “So he’s not here yet, huh?”

“No...” she glared at Emma then shut the door. There was no sense in fighting, she wasn’t going to leave.

“Hm...well you look really good.” She grinned and sent her a thumbs up. “I told you you’d look fine.”

“Are you sure? Do these pants make my butt look big?” Lainey turned and stuck her rear end out for her friend to see.

“Girl, your butt looks fine...he’s going to love it.” She giggled then turned and fell down into a recliner. “Are you all ready for your big day?”

“Hardly...” Lainey grabbed up the fallen shoe and slipped it on. “Oh no...did I put enough deodorant on?” And then she was off...into the bathroom.

Emma just laughed and flipped through the channels on the TV when a knock sounded. She glanced to the door, then the bathroom and giggled. Hitting the off on the remote, she pushed herself from the chair and made her way to the door.

The knock came again and Emma pulled the door open, sending her best smile forward at the handsome Backstreet Boy that stood on the other side. “Hi...” she purred, extending her hand. “You must be AJ.”

“Uh...yeah, that’s me.” He responded, lifting a brow and taking her hand.

“Emma...it’s a pleasure.” She squeezed his hand then released it and moved back from the doorway. “Come in, Lainey’s expecting you.”

AJ nodded and moved into the room. “Are you her roommate?”

“No, she lives by herself.” Emma closed the door behind him. Wow, he was a lot sexier in person than on all the posters Lainey had shoved in her closet. “I’m her best friend.”

“Oh...cool...” he nodded again and glanced around the cozy apartment. “Nice place.”

“Yeah...she does a pretty good job.” Emma smiled and checked her watch.

“Do you honestly think that my butt looks okay in these?” Lainey questioned as she emerged from the bathroom, heading down the hall but glancing behind her. She came to a stop and turned to face her friend, her eyes growing wide at seeing AJ standing there also.

AJ chuckled and tilted his head at her. “I don’t know, you’d have to turn around for me.”

This made Lainey’s face blush a deep red and she quickly turned to her friend, sending her a warning look.

“Lainey, AJ’s here.” Emma just giggled out, shrugging. What was she supposed to do about it?

“Um...I...uh...” she stammered, wishing a huge hole would appear and swallow her.

Emma sighed. “Lainey, you look great.” She moved around behind her and placed her hands on her friend’s shoulders. “Doesn’t she, AJ?”

Lainey blushed again and AJ lowered his shades, taking her in. “Yeah you do.” He flashed her his famous AJ McLean grin.

“Th...thanks...” she stammered.

Emma smirked. “So...what are you two going to be doing today?”

“Just some errands.” Lainey pulled away from her friend. “But don’t you have to get going? You’ll be late for your meeting.” She carefully eyed her.

“Oh, they can start without me.” She waved a hand and shrugged. “It’s not like I’ll be missing much.”

“Alright...then we’ll be going. We have a lot of errands to run.” She smirked at Emma then grabbed her purse from the table by the wall. “Lock up when you leave.”

AJ pushed his sunglasses back over his eyes and sent Emma a smile. “Nice meeting you.”

She nodded. “You too. And you kids have fun.”

Lainey ignored her and pulled the front door open. “I’ll talk to you later.” Then she headed out onto the front step.

AJ followed as Emma called out the door after them. “Have her back by midnight.”

He chuckled and Lainey shut the door.

“Sorry about that.” She pushed some hair from her face.

“It’s cool. Doesn’t bother me.” He shrugged and grinned at her. “But um...you really do look nice.”

Lainey could feel the blush coming a mile away. “Um...thanks.” She bit her lip and glanced down at her feet.

AJ chuckled again then put his hand on her lower back. “My car’s this way.”

She shivered at his touch and it took all her strength not to let out a shriek that AJ McLean was touching her. Instead, she just nodded and allowed him to lead her to his vehicle.

Once inside the BMW, AJ started it up and lowered the volume on the stereo. “So...where to first?” He leaned back in his seat and glanced over at her.

“Oh...um...” Lainey clicked her seatbelt in place then unzipped her purse, rummaging through it. “The post office. I have some bills to mail, and I ran out of stamps.” She pulled out three white envelopes. “Electric, phone and....credit card.” She made a face.

He just laughed low and pulled out of the parking spot, heading for the apartment community exit. “Aight, which way to the post office?”

Lainey directed him and they moved onto the main road.

“So...Emma’s your best friend?” AJ glanced over at her, adjusting the AC controls causing the cool air to blast out and hit Lainey on the arm.

She shivered at that and rubbed her arm. “For the most part. When she’s not being a pain in the ass...” she laughed a little then shook her head as AJ laughed. “No...she is. Sometimes she drives me crazy...but she’s my girl.” She smiled and leaned back in the seat.

AJ nodded and turned left at a stop sign. “Have you known her long?”

“Um...since second grade.” Lainey pursed her lips together as she thought it over.

AJ nodded again and checked his blindspot before moving into the right lane. “And you live by yourself, huh?” He settled back in his seat, slouched and driving with one hand; the other resting on the gear shift between the seats. “Lainey?” He glanced at her when she didn’t respond.

“Oh...hm what?” She blinked and brought herself back from the fantasy world she’d just been in. Man, he was so freaking sexy when he was driving. She could just crawl right over there and nibble his ear. Bet he smelled good.

AJ chuckled at her and sent her another knee weakening grin. “I said...you live by yourself...?”

She blushed slightly at having been caught staring, and nodded. “Um yeah. I do.”

“That’s cool....” He slowed for a red light. “You ever throw any wild parties?”

“Oh yeah right.” She scoffed and let out a laugh. “Not only would my parents kill me...but the elderly couple that lives below me would have me arrested.”

AJ laughed with her. “Okay, I understand the elderly couple. But your parents would kill you for throwing a party?” He lifted his brows as he glanced at her again, then started through the now green light.

“Well not a party. But a wild party...they pay the rent.” She shrugged.

He chuckled. “Do you party a lot?”

“Oh me...not a lot.” Lainey shook her head. “I mean...I do party but not like all the time.” Great, she didn’t want to come across as a recluse.

AJ chuckled and watched her for a moment, before turning back to the road. “You’re so cute.”

She blushed and ducked her head. “Um...thanks.”

“No problem.” He shifted in the seat as he turned at another stoplight. “So Lainey, what kind of stuff do you like to do?”

“Um....” Lainey shrugged and leaned against the door, reaching up and twirling a lose strand of hair between her fingers. “Just normal stuff. I like to shop, go to the beach, rollerblade...swim. Stuff like that.”

AJ nodded as she spoke. “You sound like my kind of girl.” He flashed her a grin.

“Your kind of girl?” Lainey’s eyes widened slightly. What did he mean by that?

“Yeah, you know...” He shrugged and leaned towards her, resting against the armrest. “We have a lot in common. I like those things too.”

“Oh, cool.” She pretended she fully understood him. Really not having a clue what he meant exactly.

They rode along in silence for a few minutes, AJ watching the road and Lainey trying not to watch him...but being unsuccessful. Lord, he was making her heart pound just sitting there. Did he have any idea what kind of an effect he had on her?

A few moments later, AJ pulled into the post office and put the car into park. He turned towards her, leaning into the seat. “Aight, we are here.”

Lainey nodded and undid her buckle. “I just have to go mail these. I’ll be right back.” She gathered her purse and pushed the door open.

AJ nodded as he flipped through the radio stations. “Okay, babe. I’ll be here.”

She was already halfway out of the car before she realized what he had called her. Babe? She blinked and shut the door, heading for the entrance. What did he mean by that? Probably nothing. Just AJ being himself, and she was reading too much into it. Hehe, but who cares? She was spending the day with AJ McLean. He actually knew she was alive and wanted to do this for her. He could call her whatever he wanted and she wouldn’t care at the moment. Giving a small giggle and trying not to skip, she headed into the post office to mail her bills.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So other than...shopping, and the beach, and rollerblading. What do you like to do?” Lainey questioned AJ as they sat tucked away in a corner booth of Bahama Breeze.

“Me?” He grinned at her and wiped his mouth with a napkin.

“No...the other person sitting with us that I’m talking to.” She teased, running her finger along the rim of her water glass. “Of course you.”

He chuckled and leaned back in the booth. “Well I had to make sure. I didn’t want to interrupt.”

Lainey giggled and picked her fork back up, twirling it through the lettuce of her salad. She watched him with twinkling eyes. Her day so far had been the best one of her entire life. After the post office, they’d gone on to the bank, then he’d driven her to her school so she could turn some homework in. Now they were relaxing at Bahama Breeze, having an early lunch. Oh him, of course.

So far he’d been nothing but sweet and funny. Along with hot and sexy of course. And the cologne he was wearing made her want to just jump him. She didn’t know if he was being that way on purpose or if it was just him...but it was slowly driving her crazy.

“Well...” he shrugged and lifted a fry, dragging it slowly through the ketchup. “I like music...dancing....going out. I like movies.” He bit into the fry and chewed. “I have a nice theater and I’ll just watch them there.”

Lainey nodded and sipped her lemonade. “What kind of movies do you like?”

“All kinds, really. Classics...comedies, action, horror...” he chuckled as she wrinkled her nose. “You don’t like horrors?”

“Not really. They freak me out. I hate being scared.”

“Aww...well maybe that’s because you haven’t found the right person to watch them with.” He winked at her and bit into another fry.

Lainey tried forcing the blush from her face. “Um...what does that have to do with it?” She knew she was taking the bait.

AJ shrugged. “Just someone to keep you from being scared.” He watched her closely as he spoke. “Someone to take your mind off the really scary stuff....keep you distracted.”

“Uh.....” her eyes were fixated on his mouth, watching as his tongue snaked out and slowly ran over his lips. Just imagine the things he could do with that. He was probably hella good with it too. She shivered then blinked.

He chuckled low, then reached across the table and took her hand, running his thumb over the back of her soft skin. “You’ll have to come watch a horror movie with me sometime.” He sent her an inviting grin.

“I um...I uh...um...yeah...” she nodded, her mind clouding over. Holy cow, he was touching her...holding her hand. Whoa, he was inviting her over to watch a movie! She blinked and shook her head trying to regain her senses. “Yeah, that um...that sounds great.” She’d be crazy to turn an offer like that down.

AJ grinned at her. “Great, then afterwards we could take a dip in my pool.”

Lainey just nodded and wet her lips, watching their hands still together. “S...sounds nice.”

“It’s settled then.” He finally released her hand and sat back, lifting his burger. “How’s this weekend sound?”

“This...this weekend?” She stared at him.

He nodded. “Yeah...I was thinking Friday. But if Saturday is better for you....” he let his words trail off, watching her.

“Oh no...no um...Friday’s fine.” Lainey quickly nodded and smoothed her hands over the napkin in her lap. Was he asking her out? Would that be a date? She was confused, but at the moment that didn’t matter, because...he wanted to see her again! She could have squealed out loud...but held it in. Lord, wait until Emma found out about this. She’d have a field day.

“That’s settled then.” AJ sent her another grin then took a bite of his burger.

Lainey nodded and the two ate in silence for a few minutes, until AJ finished his food and sat back in his seat, wiping his hands on his napkin. Then he turned his attention on her.

“What?” Lainey questioned slowly, removing the fork from her mouth and eyeing him. Quickly she wiped her mouth. “Do I have something on my face?”

He just shook his head and rested his hand on the table, tapping his fingers against the wood. “No...” his lips formed into a sly grin and he tilted his head. “But there is something I never got to see.”

“What’s that?” She set her fork back on her plate and watched him.

AJ wet his lips before responding. “You in those jeans.” He nodded towards her as he spoke, a sexy smirk on his face.

Lainey’s face scrunched as she looked at him confused. “What? Me in these jeans....” then it hit her and she trailed off, her mouth forming an ‘oh’. “Oooh...”

He chuckled and nodded, lifting his brows.

“Uh...” She laughed, not sure what to say to that. “I...um...” she giggled and blushed once more, pushing some hair away from her face. “Uh....” Again she tried to say something, but to no avail. Finally, she just laughed and took a sip of her drink.

AJ’s eyes twinkled as he watched her. He chuckled and fiddled with a stray fry. “That’s aight...I’ll check it out when we leave.”

This got another laugh from Lainey as she almost choked on her drink, bringing a hand up and wiping the dribble from her chin. “You will, huh?” She dried her hand on her napkin.

He shrugged. “I may. I’m a guy...you’re an incredibly attractive woman. It’s what we do.”

She just giggled again and shook her head, her face still warm. “I see...”

AJ chuckled at her and took the bill as the waiter brought it over.

Lainey blinked. “Oh...no I can get this.” She reached for the billfold.

He shook his head and pulled out his wallet. “That may be, but I got it.”

“But you bought our food yesterday.” She gave a small pout. “Seriously though, AJ...I can get it.”

AJ grinned at her as he slid some money into the black billfold and set it back onto the table. “Tell ya what...next time, I’ll let you buy.”

She eyed him carefully as the waiter stopped by and grabbed the check; AJ telling him to keep the change. “Do you really mean that?”

“No, not really.” He laughed a little and slid from the booth, offering a hand to help her. “But if you beat me to the bill, then I guess I have to let you.”

Lainey laughed and shook her head, taking his hand and slipping from the booth. “Then you can bet I’ll do that.”

AJ snickered and gave her hand a squeeze, pulling her from the restaurant. “Alright, my chariot awaits you...where to next?”

Lainey glanced down at their hands still clasped together. He was holding her hand. She giggled then cleared her throat, trying to disguise it. “I need to stop by my mom’s. She has some stuff I have to pick up.”

AJ reached his car and pulled her door open. “Sounds like a plan.” He grinned as she slid into the vehicle then moved around and climbed behind the wheel. “Where’s your mom live?” He buckled his seatbelt then turned the car on, adjusting the AC controls.

“Just outside of Santa Monica. The beach actually.” Lainey replied, as she buckled her own seatbelt and began digging through her purse. “Gum?” She pulled out a few sticks and held one out to him.

“Thanks.” He took it and undid the wrapper, popping the gum into his mouth. “Did you grow up on the beach?”

“Um yeah...” Lainey put her own gum into her mouth and bawled the wrapper, dropping it back into her purse.

“That’s neat.” AJ nodded and maneuvered the car out of the parking spot.

She shrugged and leaned back in the seat, turning the vent so it wasn’t blowing directly on her. “The beach gets pretty boring after seeing it every day for 18 years.”

“Yeah, I suppose that’s true.” He agreed, pulling out onto the road. “But I live right on the beach now, and I love it.” A smile filtered over his face.

Lainey watched him and had to grin herself. He looked so cute. How she longed to reach out and just run her fingers over his cheek. “Where do you live?”

“Malibu.” Was his response. He glanced over at her and wiggled his brows.

She blushed slightly and giggled. “You’re cute.” Then she blinked at the words. Okay Lainey, don’t make a fool of yourself.

“Aww thank you.” He winked her way, and rested his hand back on the gearshift between the seats. “But I think you’re cuter.”

She just shrugged and ducked her head a little, some hair falling around and framing her face.

“I don’t even think you realize how attractive you truly are.” AJ continued, pulling onto the expressway and heading for the Santa Monica beach.

This got another blush from Lainey and she watched the road out the front window. “I guess it’s cuz I don’t think I really am. I mean...I know I’m pretty. But I don’t think I’m gorgeous. Just...plain.”

AJ nodded and changed lanes, cutting off a blue Vespa and receiving a few loud honks. “Well I think you’re beautiful.”

She gave a shy smile and peeked over at him. “Thank you.”

He grinned back at her. “You’re welcome.”

Lainey settled back in the seat again and ran her fingers through her hair. Wow, AJ McLean thought she was beautiful. The man, who hung around with supermodels and porn stars, thought she was beautiful. He could have any woman...and yet here he was giving her compliments. Hehe, that made her feel pretty good.
Chapter 5 by fairytaleprincess
The thought that her mom might recognize AJ had never even crossed Lainey’s mind. Not until they had arrived and she was entering the house that is. Then it hit her, and how much of a fool she would come across as if her mom spilled the beans. Argh, why hadn’t she thought of that earlier? Now she would be more than embarrassed and truly wish she could die. If AJ found out how much of a fan she was, Lainey was sure he would never want to hang out with her again. She shouldn’t have brought him here...it was going to be a big mistake.

“Lainey...there you are, dear.” Her mother’s voice flowed through the house as she emerged from the kitchen, stepping into the glorious living room. The floor to ceiling windows extended out over a large deck, looking out to the beach below, and the waves that crashed onto the sands.

“Hey mom...” Lainey greeted the tall, thin woman with blonde hair swept up into a twist. She had the same penetrating green eyes as her daughter.

Her mother smiled. “I have all your supplies in the garage...” then she trailed off as her eyes took in AJ. “And who is this handsome man?”

This was it...the moment of truth. “Uh mom, this is AJ...AJ, my mother, Savannah.” She motioned to each one as she spoke their name.

“Nice to meet you.” AJ gave a little wave.

“It’s a pleasure.” Savannah smiled and looked him over. “You know, you look very familiar.”

“I hear that a lot.” AJ gave a grin and shrugged.

Savannah nodded and continued to eye him as Lainey held her breath. Please don’t let her recognize him. That’s the last thing she needed right now.

Finally her mother shrugged and waved a hand. “Oh well...” then she turned to her daughter. “Would you two like something to drink? Constance just made up a fresh pitcher of lemonade.”

“Oh uh...I’m good.” Lainey shook her head and glanced back at AJ. “Do you want a glass?”

“No thanks...but thanks though.” He sent her mother a smile.

She nodded and motioned to the plush, mint green sofa. “Well please come in and sit down. Lainey, I haven’t talked to you in awhile. What’s going on with you?” She questioned as she sank into a matching chair.

“Not much really.” Lainey shrugged and moved to the sofa, sinking down into the soft cushions.

“How’s school going?” Her mother tilted her head and watched AJ sit, as if still trying to figure out where she knew him.

Her daughter shrugged again. “It’s going well. Spring break is coming up soon.”

“Are you planning on going anywhere this year?” Savannah turned her attention back to Lainey.

“I don’t really know yet...Emma was talking about Cancun.”

“But that’s where you went your senior year.” Savannah smoothed her hands over her navy blue pant suit.

She nodded. “Yeah, so if she really wants to go there, I may just stay here.”

Her mother nodded and turned her attention back to AJ. “So tell me some about you.” She took in the tattoos lined up and down his arms.

AJ shrugged and leaned forward, resting his forearms on his legs. “What would you like to know?”

Savannah shrugged and reached up to her hair, checking that it was still in tact. “What do you do?”

Lainey bit her lip and glanced at AJ from the corner of her eye. She hadn’t even talked to him about his job yet. Yes, this really had been a mistake to bring him here.

AJ grinned and leaned back, looking over at Lainey, then back to her mother. “I’m a singer.”

“A singer?” Savannah lifted a brow and looked to her daughter.

Lainey just held her breath.

AJ nodded. “Yeah, I’m in a group. Ever heard of The Backstreet Boys?” He glanced over to Lainey again.

She stiffened slightly and sent her mother a pleading look not to say anything.

Savannah’s eyes went wide and she blinked, looking between the two of them. “You’re in The Backstreet Boys?” She gave a small chuckle. “My goodness Lainey, how did you manage to run into him? My daughter has been such a fan of your music. She loves you guys.”

Ooh no.... Lainey closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead.

AJ just chuckled and watched Lainey as he spoke. “I think I may be becoming a fan of your daughter.”

Her eyes popped open and she gaped at him. “Uh what...”

Savannah grinned. “My goodness...” she sent her daughter a knowing smirk.

AJ nodded and watched her. “You heard me.”

Lainey blinked and shifted in her seat, wetting her lips. She wasn’t quite sure how to interpret that, or what to even think of it. So many things were going through her mind at the moment. Did that mean he liked her? Was he just flirting? Did he want to be her friend? Wait...if he liked her...he had a girlfriend.

Savannah gave a low chuckle. “AJ, we will have to have you over for dinner sometime.

He turned his attention back to her mother. “Did anyone ever tell you that you two look like sisters?”

Savannah laughed and waved a hand. “We have heard that before. And thank you, you know how to make an old woman feel young.”

AJ chuckled. “You’re welcome, though you are hardly old.”

Lainey watched them both. Was he charming her mother?

Savannah laughed again. “I like you, AJ.” She smiled warmly at him.

AJ returned the smile. “Thank you.”

Then Savannah turned to her daughter. “So how did you two meet?”

“Um...” Lainey glanced over to AJ. She didn’t want to tell her mom about the accident. Hopefully AJ would remember that.

“At a party.” AJ leaned back into the couch and extended an arm on the back of it, behind Lainey.

“Ahh, how nice.” Savannah grinned at the two.

Lainey let out a small breath, he had remembered. She’d have to thank him later for that.

AJ nodded. “Yup...and here we are.”

Lainey nodded also and glanced between her mother and AJ. Did he realize what kind of impression he was giving here? Probably not. But now her mother would surely be thinking that the two of them were dating. Not that she’d have any qualms about that. She’d love to date AJ. But why would he want to date her? Besides, he had a girlfriend. She cringed and bit the inside of her cheek just thinking about that evil woman.

“Well Lainey, shall we get your supplies?” Her mother questioned, interrupting her thoughts.

Lainey blinked and nodded. “Yeah, sounds good.” She rose from the couch.

AJ rose also. “What supplies?”

“My art supplies.” She nodded him to follow then started for the garage, Savannah trailing behind.

“You’re an artist?” He lifted a brow, pulling his sunglasses from atop his head and hanging them off the collar of his shirt.

“Um...yeah. I paint and draw. But just for fun.” She reached the garage door and pulled it open, flicking the light switch on and stepping into the cool room.

AJ followed behind, taking in the boxes and crates of different art supplies. “What’s all in here?”

“Pencils, markers, paints....stencils, paper...stuff like that.” She shrugged and moved over to the boxes, leaning down and checking the label. “Did I get everything, mom?”

“I believe so.” Savannah hit a button and the heavy garage door gave a groan before lifting up. “Your father went through and checked it all. He said it was good.”

Lainey grinned and heaved a box up. “Great...thanks.”

Her mother nodded and gathered three large round tubes in her arms. “Shall we load them up?”

“Yeah, we brought AJ’s car.” She glanced over at him. “These will fit into your trunk, right?”

He looked the boxes over. “How many are there?”

“Um...” Lainey pressed her lips together as she quickly counted them. “Four boxes and then the three tubes with my paper in it.”

AJ pulled out his keys. “Yeah they’ll fit.” Then he too grabbed a box. “Maybe later you can show me some of your stuff.”

She hesitated then followed her mother out to his car. “Maybe...”

He moved behind her. “Just maybe?”

“She’s very sensitive about her work.” Savannah explained, waiting at the car for AJ to open the trunk.

“I’m not sensitive...I’m just private.” She explained as AJ popped the trunk and she sat the box in the back.

“She hardly even lets her father and I see her work.” She continued to inform AJ, lying the tubes down.

“So I don’t like to share my stuff...is that so wrong?” She headed back into the garage and grabbed the last of the boxes.

“Sensitive...” Savannah whispered to AJ.

“I heard that.” Lainey sent her mother a look.

AJ chuckled and shut the trunk after everything had been loaded. “Aight, you don’t have to show me your stuff.”

She sighed and put her hands into her back pockets. “No...I can show you some.”

He just shrugged. “Only if you want.”

Lainey just nodded then turned to her mom. “But we should get going. We still have to stop at the store.”

“Alright dear...call me and we’ll make dinner plans.” Savannah brushed her hands off.

“Will do.” She kissed her mothers cheek.

“It was very nice meeting you.” AJ extended his hand to her.

“My pleasure...” Savannah smiled and shook his hand. “And I’m serious about that dinner.”

“Yes mom.” Lainey sighed and climbed into the car after AJ opened her door. Then giving a final wave to her mom, he jogged around to his side and slid behind the wheel.

“Well she seemed nice.” AJ mused as they pulled away and headed back for the city.

Lainey shrugged. “She’s aight.”

He nodded and glanced over at her. “You look a lot like her.”

“Everyone tells me that.” She reached up and tucked some hair behind her ear.

“Do you have any brothers or sisters?” He reached over and flipped the radio, the beat to “Hey Mamma” by the Black Eyed Peas thumping out from his sub woofers.

“Nope, it’s just me.” Lainey leaned back in the seat, watching the road whizz past them.

AJ grinned at her. “I’m an only child too.”

“I know...” The words slipped from her mouth before she’d even realized it. She blinked her eyes and mentally smacked herself.

“You do, huh?” He smirked and sent her a teasing grin.

“I mean uh...” Great...she sighed. “Alright, so I’m a fan. But I’m not like one of those obsessed ones ..ya know.” She quickly tried to explain. Wonderful. He would probably not want to talk to her ever again.

He chuckled and pulled the car onto the expressway. “I know you’re a fan, and I know you’re not obsessed.”

She blinked at him. “You do?”

AJ nodded. “Yeah...I’ve known you were a fan since you hit me.” He chuckled once more.

She gaped at him. “H...how did you know?”

“Oh...just little things.” He shrugged. “I can pick out fans pretty well.”

“Oh...” Lainey nodded and glanced down to her lap. “So does that change anything?”

“No...why would it?” He watched her for a moment.

“I don’t know..” She shrugged. “Becoming friends with a fan....do you think it’s weird?”

“Look Lainey...” AJ reached over and touched her knee. “If I had been bothered by the fact that you were a fan, I wouldn’t have offered to help you out today.”

That much was true. So he was cool with it then. She smiled and squeezed his arm. “Yeah...thanks.”

“For what?”

“I dunno...for helping me.” She watched him. “You didn’t have to do it.”

“I know..” he nodded and wet his lips, grinning at her. “But I wanted to.”

“Because your guy didn’t have my car fixed and you felt sorry for me?” She questioned.

AJ shook his head. “No, though that might have been a tiny part of it.”

“They why?” Her eyes scanned his face, watching him intently.

His dark eyes met her green ones as he spoke. “Because there’s just something about you that captivates me, Lainey Emmerson. And I really want to get to know you better.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8016