As Reality Crumbles by Rose
Summary: A powerful battle rages on. There is one who must stay hidden and protected, wrapped in the sheath of goodness. For the sake of us all.


ON HIATUS



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Kevin
Genres: Action, Adventure, Alternate Universe, Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Graphic Violence, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 10013 Read: 4134 Published: 10/31/06 Updated: 11/08/06

1. Purgatory State by Rose

2. The Inevitable by Rose

3. Doing What Is Necessary by Rose

4. Ties That Bond by Rose

Purgatory State by Rose
Author's Notes:
Alright, this might be a little lengthy but its not worth a chapter space so here it goes. :) This story is based a bit off the idea of a story I collaborated on with another author. It was called Pursuing Reality and was up till today when I took it down. It was never finished and was left to dust for a long time. I wanted to continue it but it just didn't come to pass. I accepted it cause collaborations do die out. However I still loved the idea it originated from and refused to let it die. So I am now revamping it, adding on, and rewriting it entirely. So although it came from that idea, this is my fic alone. The old story we haven't touched for a couple years. I am writing this new one alone and integrating new ideas and changes to it. Thank you Ana for doing that old story Pursuing Reality with me while we did.


This however is a totally new story and I am really proud of it so far. So I hope you enjoy! I just wanted to explain and give credit for the original story I worked on with her that inspired this one.
“As Reality Crumbles”

Chapter One: Purgatory State

Screams bellowed throughout the darkness of the world. Violet flames leaped from the depths below as she sat upon the rocky ledge. From there she could view the cities far off in the distance. The people her father, the dark lord Kevinicus Richardson dominated. Soon she, would dominate. Her dark blond hair blew about her from the smokey wind. She could hear the prisoners give their cries of pain coming from the palace. The smell of rotting flesh filtered her nose and a smirk crept upon her innocent looking face as her sapphire eyes reflected the flames around her. Soon all this would be hers. Then, she would consume the power that came with it and take everything else she rightfully deserved.

Everything in her plan has come to be, and there was more to come. With her brothers out of the way, nothing could stop her. She was the only heir left, and her stepmother Parisian could no longer bear children. Her father could find another wench to fill with his demonic seed, but he favored the whore too much to let her go.

A year ago much had been different. Two years ago far more had been. Much had changed. She as well. A year ago she had had a twin, a younger brother as well. A year before that far more. Now she is alone. Now she will grasp what she craves, the drive that burned her dark tormented soul and will not be silenced until she fulfills it. Nothing could stop her now.

Nothing.

*********

In his dreams he relieved the moment again and again. Ever since he had arrived to this accursed Keyrina Reality, and came to this planet named Earth. The day everything he had known changed sharply beyond his control. The day his days in his own reality, the Dakria realm, in which the planet he grew up in, Dimonos, was located. For the world was filled with infinite worlds and realities invisible to any living beings eye. The trick was to travel between them. It was almost unheard of. However Alexius Janis; known to this world as Alexander James, was thinking of none of this. His mind in sleep was trapped in the night that had become his own internal hell, his purgatory where nothing ever changed, as hard as he would try.

In his minds eye he saw her, standing with her back against the wine colored flames. Her once soft eyes hard and cold staring ruthlessly into his. She was in the true form for a being of Dimonos. One he tried to never use. Her raven feathered eagle wings spread behind her. The fires blazed around them. He could see her mouth move but heard no words come from them.

His mental gaze went to the other, the younger one. The innocent. There was Nickoli, with his shaggy golden blond hair, innocent ocean eyes, and a face of an angel. He ran to him, away from her. He had to protect Nickoli. Before more befell them.


He tossed and turned in his bed. His form slightly morphing to its true natural state. The claws emerged from his hands fiercely, dug into the soft mattress, shredding the material instantly. Alexander screamed in momentous pain, his dark hair matted to his forehead, beads of sweat gathered along his heated brow. The cries raged across the calm home.

Sensing the immense rage of emotions, another young woman awoke from her bed. Beside her slept a tan skinned man with dark curly locks. She climbed out of the bed quickly, her long raven curls cascading down her back as her golden brown orbs adjusted to the lack of light. She heard the bellow coming from Alex’s room. It had become a nightly ritual ever since he had come into Kaorinite’s care. She waved a hand, lighting the halls as she hurried to her charge’s room. The dreams would always come and he would never speak of them. Only that he hated reliving it and that he was now alright. She entered the room, which by appearances looked to be a normal nineteen year old’s room. Sports posters on the walls, a TV, movies, a radio, with a guitar in the corner by the closet. The room was how it should be. Alex however, was not. She sat by the bed, and shook him gently. It had to be done with extra care lest her face be shred by the razor sharp claws that have no doubt appeared as he lived the dream.

He tossed and turned as his skin grew more heated. It was almost as if he was actually there. Kaorinite shook him again. “Alexander, you’re dreaming. Wake Up!”

The young man twisted around at the bed, filled with screams, his fierce hands clawing at the air at an unseen attacker. A careless swipe grazed her face before she had the chance to grab his hand. She did so then firmly, as a trickle of blood ran down her cheek in a haunting path. She grabbed his other hand as well. This was worse than usual. She pinned him down but he forced her off with fierce strength and she was slammed against the wall as he was still trapped in the hellish world of slumber.

The man who had slept beside her, Orlando, heard the thud and arose from the bed, racing towards the room. Sounds such as that usually never ended up good. He came in to see his partner up against the wall, with a groan of pain as she rubbed her sore head. The two both raced to pin the young teen back down till they could wake him up. Until then he had no control over what he did and that was the true danger against the caretakers.

As they did, a new cry came from the sleeping Alexius Janis. “NYXNIA!”

****************

She watched the torture chambers happily. They seemed to calm her when she felt out of sorts. Gazing on the poor pitiful souls as they faced their eternal demise reminded her how pain was always pleasure in her life and always would be. It fed her craving, soothed it, until the time came where she could claim more as she wished. For now, this would do. Yet, although soothing, it did nothing that day. Her inner being swirled with torment and she could not comprehend why that was. Finally it was all going her way. Why was she not at peace with it all in her dark dominion?

Her gaze sharpened as she fixated it upon the black palace which was on the top of the mountain. Lightening struck behind it in fierce blows. Her gaze sharpened more, focused on something smaller. Something inside. There she saw the woman. The tall thin one with the pale blonde hair, blue eyes. Parisian Alton. Her father’s bride. Not recent bride, but that was still the term that remained in her mind. She wanted her gone. She shook her head. She could not have that wish granted. Although she knew it would help the turmoil. It would not heal it however. Not even temporarily anymore. How the princess knew that, she could not say. Know she did however, and she was determined to find out why.

This went against her plan.

That was not how it was not supposed to work. Not anymore. So she would do something about it. Now was a good a time as any in the dark lands of Dimonos. She will go to her sleeping chambers to meditate and seek out the answer that way. If that did not work, she would try something else. But for now she went back to the room of pain. A man who had refused to pay a tax was on the stretcher. As they rolled the lever it stretched his body more and more, and she heard the bones crack with each twist that went by. Yet, it was not enough to kill him. The pale green flame touched upon him from the administrator. It would not burn the flesh in reality, but would give the same feeling and slowly crept like a disease through the nerves of the body, making the pain travel throughout it all. His body would jerk in scattered movements as the guttural sounds of pain were all he could manage to make. His mind could not handle the task of making more. She stared with a sickening pleasant expression on her angelic face. The expressions of immense pain beyond her ability to know for she has not felt physical pain to that extreme, always could create a smile.

****************

“NYXNIA!” The cry came out again as the two struggled to keep him down.

“Damn it Orlando we need to get him up!”

“I’m the fighting guide, do you have a spell for this?!”

Kaorinite looked caring at the man beside her. “Can you hold him down on your own?”

The roar started to sound like one of a cross between an eagle, a cougar, and a confused teenager. It pitched into a painful range and the two fought the urge to cover their ears. They needed to find a way to stop these dreams that came each night. They were beginning to rage far beyond control. Orlando nodded and she backed away. This took pure concentration. Orlando struggled with the raging man as she did.

A wind appeared out of nowhere and blew only around the young Wicca, making her long silky black tresses tumble out behind her. The golden rings in her brown eyes began to glow with power as she stared down at Alexander. The curly haired man only hoped it would work. They never had to use this extreme before.

“Fetor watch me now. Hear my heated cry. Let this drive come to be. Awaken the lost one before me. Let him be found and led back to this world. Mind’s eye, set him free!” She yelled above the roaring and a small yellow glow zoomed into the one on the bed, and his eyes opened sharply with a gasp. Orlando, who had been struggling, was taken by surprised when it stopped and tumbled off the bed which caused Alex to chuckle with amusement. That was until he gazed around the room and saw the damage he had done. He sighed. The dream was getting more realistic. He was beginning to be unable to tell which was real and which was just a dream.

“Kay,” he said softly as the older, wiser, guardian of him sat upon the bed beside Orlando as he got up from the floor. “Are you alright? You look hurt…” his hands, once normal again, reached for her to get a better look and she brushed the hand aside, but not roughly.

“A bit winded, a bit sore.” She smiled a bit at him. Although it was a problem they had to face, it wasn’t Alex’s fault. “Nothing that won’t heal.”

“What about you Orlando?”

He wiped his damp and sweaty face. The young woman who cared for him wiped a few of the wet curls away from his eyes with soft affection. Their gazes met for a moment and Orlando smiled. “Same as Kit.” He replied, using his affectionate nickname for his partner.

“It was bad wasn’t it.” the one from Dimonos asked, sitting up against the coolness of the headboard, silently thankful for its comfort against his painfully heated skin. His coffee eyes met his companions.

“They are getting worse.” She admitted. “I had to use magicks this time. Alex, what is it you dream.”

“You know I wish not to talk of it Kay.”

“We know, but Kit and I need to know something, or there will come the day we can’t wake you up.”

A sigh and he looked away, his shirtless chest glistened in the pale light Kaorinite or Kay as he called her had created. “Not now.” Another sigh. “Call it a hunch but I’m going to have to tell you soon anyway. Just not now.” He stood, wearing only boxers. He went to the closet, put a random pair of jeans on, and grabbed a shirt and his keys to his small Honda civic. “I’m going out for now. I’ll be careful. I just need air.”

Without another word Kaorinite and Orlando watched him go. They sighed out of exhaustion, neither wishing to move from the bed they were currently on. The two were seen as married which was how they wanted it even though in reality they were not. Alex resided there as Kay’s younger brother. It was never questioned by others here. How it should be. The two loving gazes met and Orlando touched the cut along her check that still had the dried blood along her face. He rubbed it gently, soothingly.

“Our futures rest on him.”

“I know, that’s what scares me.” He replies, without much emotion in the voice but she saw what she needed to in his open eyes,

“Does it? We do what we can, and fate, or destiny, or whatever life force that controls us will take its course. Yet I am a bit fearful as well. If what’s been told comes to pass, he won’t be the only one living in purgatory.”

“I think whatever is next. It’ll be soon.”

She leaned against him, yawning tiredly. “That it will be. That, it will be.”
The Inevitable by Rose
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the feedback so far. It definitely inspired another chapter hehe. So thankies and enjoy :).
“As Reality Crumbles”

Chapter Two: The Inevitable

Alex sat on the grassy hill, looking over most of the large city that was Las Vegas. It was next to what was the high school he briefly went to when had first came here. Three earth years it has been now. The human age he had been was sixteen, and now considered nineteen. Time was short there however, and went fast for him. Time flowed differently, faster. Three years in this Keyrina Realm where Earth, as well as its entire galaxy, existed, only a year would go by in Dimonos, his former home, in the vastly different Dakria realm. He laid back, watching the stars. It was getting dangerous. Everything was now. He knew he had worried the only ones who cared about him when had left so suddenly, but he needed the time alone. His mind traveled to how he had arrived here, what made him leave his own reality. Before the images arrived to his mind’s eye, he shook his head, mentally pushing them away. He wished not to remember.

His mind wanted to wander to happier times. When he had more than he did now. When he felt so at home back on Dimonos, despite the harsh scenery. He remembered back to when the violent mauve flames were a comfort, when to most they would be a horror. He had known nothing of dimensions outside his own, and felt comfortable in his own. The cries of pain coming from punished townspeople had always troubled him, yet he never questioned it then. Just had comforted his sister when it used to bother her far more than him.

My how things could change.

And so they did. So quickly, so sharply, it had hit him harder than a 100 foot fall. All of the changes, events have brought him here to this point. Lead him to two guardians who had taken him in without question. Who helped raised him. All was for a purpose however and it was growing close. He did not know if they knew that, but he was sure of it. He would bet his life on it.

The connection was getting close. He just didn’t wish to face it. That was why he refused to tell Kaorinite or Orlando of his dream. It brought it that much closer. Soon he wouldn’t have a choice.

Either way the connection would happen eventually. The two were part of a whole and Alex knew that, always had. He used to see it as something good. Now he wished it didn’t exist. Yet it did and when it came, he would no longer be even slightly safe. It was coming, and soon.

As he felt it come closer, sensed her beyond the fabrics of the weak boarders between realms, the memories came back with a vengeance. A force he could not control. Even though he wished fiercely not to remember consciously, the images of what brought him here burned within his mind and soul…

She stood there amongst the flames. They rose as her rage grew with each passing moment. The younger one, Nickoli was huddled against one of the boulders near the edge. She gave a sickening grin, not seeing Alexius. Her hand gently coaxed the young blond boy over. Whispering something in form of a chant, her sapphire eyes blazed with power. She spread a white powder along the ground as Nickoli came closer to her. When he touched the powder with his foot a dark mist rose from the ground, surrounding him.

“Think of it as a game Nicky…”

“NO!” He screamed, seeing what she was doing, only far too late. “Nicky don’t listen to her! Come to me!” He tried to race towards them but an invisible force shoved him back. Nickoli turned, his normally energetic azure eyes dull and graying as the mist grew stronger, beginning to stab him with a violent energy. The young sibling screamed in a pitched agony as the pain begin to burn throughout his body, poisoning even the depths of his soul.


“Hey Aje!” A voice broke through, shattering the images and the thoughts. A sigh came. Only one called him by the initials of his full name. It was his closest companion, his best friend Howie. When he first arrived there and was forced into that thing called high school, he had an awkward time adjusting. He had known nothing of this world or even this reality, and had no clue about its customs. So as a result people had seen him as odd and shunned him. Howie however had befriended the young man who at first kept to himself. Alex opened up and the two had become fast friends. He sat up quickly, letting himself finally relax as he ran a hand over his smooth brown hair.

The other teen Howie chuckled, he usually could always find AJ here, spacing out thinking about one random thing or another. His tan eyes took in his surroundings as his short slightly curly black locks got tousled in the wind. “What are you thinking now man?” He sat beside him. “Your sister said you were out so I knew I’d find you here. What is it. The meaning of life? Is there some all powerful God up there? Or something even more complicated, like girls?” He joked with a smile.

He laughed ignoring the voice in his head that whispered that by being Howie’s friend, he put the innocent in danger. Alex could protect him, and besides, she would want him, not the ones around him. “No questions tonight, just chilling, maxin’ and relaxin’. I needed to get out of the house.”

“I’m telling you, you should move in with me. Your sis and Orlando are cool and all, but it kills the freedom we should have at our age. You know I’m looking for a roommate.”

Alex shrugged as he pulled out a cigarette. He knew they were harmful to most here, but his immune system was stronger being one of Dimonos, and did no harm. Also it relaxed him after his mind tried to bring the pain back. He lit it up and took a long drag before blowing out a ring of smoke into the clear navy night sky. “Yeah I know. Meh, Kay only has me and Orlando now. I ain’t ready to leave the nest yet.” he replied of course far from able to say the real reason.

A smirk appeared on the other teen’s smooth caramel face. “You just don’t like change. Things gotta change eventually. No matter how hard ya fight it.”

He gave an inner sigh as he rubbed the small goatee he had carefully styled since he came to this reality. “Yeah, I know.”

“So why fight it instead of going with the flow?”

Alex yawned tiredly as he rubbed his arms. “Honestly dude? Cause I can. And I sorta feel I should.” He was being honest. He would fight any inevitable changes heading his way. Because he felt he had to. Because he could.

Come what may.

************

She had come back out to her spot on the ledge rather than going inside to try and meditate and focus her power as she had planned. She felt restless and wasn’t sure why. A feeling burned within her. One she hasn’t felt in a little over a year. She shook her head as her dark gold tresses fell about her face. No. It was impossible. It had to be something else. But then the images came. Her mind burned as the images rushed through her head. What came first were the memories.

“Nyxnia what are you doing!?” Her twin brother had stood there in his human look as she did what she had to do. Nickoli was in her way. Feelings about him were not important. What had been important was the plan. Now there he was, Alexius Janis, first of Kevinicus’ children. Now trying to meddle where he should not be.

“What I have to Alexius!”

“You can stop this! Don’t do this!” He had cried, his dark brown eyes clashing against her sharp piercing blue orbs.

She laughed mockingly, shifting into her true form. The one she had been born with, as all those of the royal line were. Yet the Richardson line of Dimonos had the ability to look human so they could blend with townspeople when necessary. Her raven feathered eagle wings shot out of her back sharply, as her delicate hands had red razor claws morph from her hands. Deadly horns grew from her head as she yelled in rage. “I will do as I please! I control my destiny now! Does my own twin fight against me!?”

She could see the pain in her brother’s face, pain at what she was choosing for herself. Guilt welled up within but was quickly extinguished. Nickoli was still in her circle, trapped within the fiery darkness she had created for him. No one could stop her now. She was Nyxnia Jadis of the Richardson line. She would be powerful. She would have the control she desired.

“I won’t let you do this!” A storm raged around them on that ledge the twins used to sit and talk on when times were better. The rain poured upon them heavily, yet the violet dangerous flames of their world could not be extinguished. They stood there drenched as the lightening blazed about them fiercely, booming in the distance. It grew closer every time it struck and gave off a glow upon Nyxnia that was hauntingly beautiful.

“You don’t have a choice nor a say. Do you wish to try and stop me!”

“I will if I have to!”

“Then your fate will match Nickoli’s.”


Alexius was on his bed now, heaving headed in after hanging out with Howie for a bit. The memory blazed through his head as it had Nyxnia’s. He could sense her, and blocked himself from her. However, it would not last long. When he had stood against her she had said his fate would match their brother’s. And so it had…

Images flashed through his mind as he felt her presence more and more strongly. It was happening. Far sooner than he had expected. Yet he was not surprised. He knew his twin sister and that she did not go to things by plan. They were as one once. For both twins, they felt the other and became as one once more. Mental pictures stored within the other’s minds flashed through their heads in a chaotic simultaneous motion that startled them both.

The ledge where it had all gone down. Mauve fires blazing as always.

There stood Nyxnia against the wind, watching the town.

Parisian watching Nyxnia unbeknownst to her.

Alexius going by the name Alexander James in a new reality. Two guardians who cared for him.

A companion who seemed to care for Alex.

The blue skies, the freedom for insignificant townspeople.

Alex laying on the soft grass, watching that world’s peaceful gentle sky and the twinkling stars above that dazzled like diamonds in velvet night.

A lack of magical properties in that world.

Cries of pain from innocents at the mercy of an enraged princess.


Rapidly they came to their minds, each comprehending what this meant. The female twin growled with rage. This could not be possible!

“NO!” She screamed. “This cannot be! I saw it happen!”

Now the rest of the memory came…and it fueled her violent frustration. Only instead of getting it from her perspective she was thrown off by getting it from his. It only served to infuriate her more.

“Then your fate will match Nickoli’s.”

“What shall be shall be.” He dove for the instrument that controlled the spell cast on the innocent vulnerable Nickoli. His mind bellowed against him, claiming his twin still had good in her, despite all evidence against that. She was no longer the sister he knew. So now he would save his brother, or die trying. She leapt for him, claws extended as she dug them fiercely into his chest. He fought her off, morphing as well but yet not in time. He felt the pain invade his being. She clawed at him, digging out pieces of the darkening flesh. What was this? A small knife had been imbedded into his side as she used her claws to keep his attention. He pulled it out of his bleeding gut, ignoring the agony it caused. It was blackened and dripped a foreign fluid. Poison or magicks of some kind. That was what drained his strength. Otherwise he could heal from the raw wounds that ailed him. Alex fought to get her off, hoping to not die in vain and at least save their brother.

He had gotten a good swipe against her exposed arm and she yowled with rage. She dug deeper than before, and his insides became exposed. She picked him up as the magick did it’s job, draining his strength. He could deny it no longer as she threw him over his once favorite ledge to sit on. He tumbled down towards the raging fire.

At least it would be quick. He had no hope as his vision began to grow black.

His vision faded. The truth was certain. He was going to die.


Finally the rush of images ceased and she knew one solitary truth. One year ago, she had failed to do what Alexius had forced her to do. She hadn’t planned to harm him so long as he stayed out of her way. He had not so she did what she needed to. Only now she knew it had not worked, not fully.

Alexius Janis Richardson was still alive.

She, Nyxnia Jadis Richardson had failed.

Her jaw clenched tightly in determination.

That would not be true for much longer.

No one can put off the inevitable for long.
Doing What Is Necessary by Rose
Author's Notes:
I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. However, let me say, this chapter is one of the reasons for the warnings, and the R rating. You've been warned, but enjoy! Hehe.
“As Reality Crumbles”

Chapter Three: Doing What Is Necessary

Alex raced towards Kaorinite’s and Orlando’s room. He could not wait when it came to telling them that Nyxnia now knew he was alive. Now destiny would fall upon him like a crash of tumbling rocks crashing down on one insignificant being with no concern of how he would be crushed. He burst in the room with no concern for knocking. There the two were, leaning against each other talking quietly. The pairs of coffee eyes meet his own with concern. Orlando sits up as Kaorinite pushed a curl away from his face.

“Alex, what is it?”

He sighed and the two knew what he was about to say was far from pleasant. “Its about the dreams…you know Nyxnia is my twin and she had tried to kill me…”

A voice floated through his mind “Then your fate will match Nickoli’s.”

Kaorinite shook her head. “She did not only try, she did kill you.”

It was then he remembered the feeling. His vision faded. The truth was certain. He was going to die. Then darkness. Next he knew only a blinding light before catching a glimpse of his mutilated body falling into the fires below. He saw himself being consumed and the smell of his own body disintegrating filled his nose. He was dead. He wanted to see what happened of his siblings, but before he could he felt a suctioning, and the light he saw faded away. He was falling again…

He opened his eyes. What was this? People walking with freedom. A blue sky above him and he was on soft green grass. He looked up to see beautiful woman with long onyx colored hair, and golden brown eyes filled with compassion. Was this heaven? Had the Gods accepted him?

“No not heaven.” She replied, seeing his thoughts. “Come on, I’m a friend…”


“I thought I had just landed through a portal before I had the chance to die…” He mused, more to himself as the memory faded away.

Orlando shook his head. He and Kaorinite had been destined to be there that fateful day. Had arrived only two weeks before. Kaorinite going by the alias Kaorin, while he kept his own name. A plain name at his home, ironically considered interesting here. They had known he was going to arrive. They just did not know then that it would take the teen’s death to make it happen.

“Your dreams are about your death aren’t they?” She guessed, feeling there was more to what he wanted to say than the dreams that haunted them.

He nodded. “Its worse than that though. Nyxnia and I…we…I could see her, her location, those around her. Some of her thoughts. And she saw me. Where I was. Who I cared about. Some of my thoughts.” He sighed. “She knows I’m alive. And she’s pissed.”

The two guardians shared a glance. They had known this day would come soon. Their world Opalius, in the same reality as Dimonos, yet a different planet entirely. A mystical planet with beings that only existed in movies and fairy tells in the Keyrina realm. There was a story long told of the day one of Dimonos would consume all. Now it was all playing out. It was far more than just a story. So the two most powerful beings were sent to care for the only one who could defeat the one of dark power. Kaorinite, a gifted sorceress born of the Lamina family line. A line of witches and warlocks with some of the highest powers in the Dakria realm. She was to protect Alex and teach him in her ways. Then there was Orlando, a gifted fighter with knowledge of the stories and legends surrounding them all. He knew of fighting techniques lost long ago. He was to guide Alex in battle and meditation, and teach him all he knew.

Kaorinite nodded briskly, her eyes solemn. “That means soon she’ll be going after you.”

Her partner gave her a curious look. “You think she’ll come here?”

“Unlikely, it took Alex’s death to get here. She’s powerful enough to use magic’s to destroy us here however. Don’t underestimate the power she possesses Alex. She will not hesitate to kill you again. She already has once.” Her tone was sharp, as she up, turning a desk lamp on with a simple movement of her delicate hand.

“I still think she has good in her…” he muttered almost inaudibly.

Kaorinite gave him a sharp glance. “Be careful about your feelings in this. They can’t cloud your judgment. We’re not sure what she’s capable of, but my bet is on anything. She’ll get rid of anyone to get what she wants. And that means me, Orlando…and you.”

***********

Nyxnia headed through the palace with a purpose. The lightening had turned into pouring rain so she was soaked, her clothes clinging to her skin, dark sunny locks matted against her head. It felt ironic since it was the same kind of weather that had occurred that fateful night one year before. She knew she had to alter her plan and the thought of doing so enraged her in ways she thought impossible. She had crushed the skulls of guards with her two hands to let out the rage that burned across her mind and yet there was still so much left over as she had left the bodies out for the rats to feast upon. She held a small talisman in her hands, clenched so tightly it dug in her palm enough to draw a small amount of blood. Pain, she relished in it. She had taken it from Alexius’ old room, and bound herself to the essence of her twin that still lingered there. It would be enough once she went through with what she planned to do.

However, she had to be calm and focused. The current levels of fury within her mind would not let her be so. A smirk appeared on her pretty young face. That would soon be fixed. For she had to do something to really draw her father’s attention did she not? And it was something she has wanted to do for some time. Her brother’s old dagger, also taken from his former room, swung from where it was sheathed and strapped at her side. She went for the bride’s bedchambers, separate from her father’s, and burst in without a care. The older woman Parisian turned with surprise, her pale blue eyes steely and cold. No match for the gaze Nyxnia gave her however.

“Nyxnia, I did not hear you knock.”

She smirked at the skinnier, and far frailer woman as she walked in, passing Parisian‘s drink. As she did she waved her hand over it subtly with an almost silent murmur. She was from another world. Not from Opalius the powerful planet her true mother hailed from. Not from Dimonos, but a planet in their realm that had far weaker beings. Why her father chose Parisian, she could never understand. “You can stop with the pleasantries, father is away.”

A smirk appeared on the other woman’s face as well. “Good, so what graced me with your insane presence.”

“I am far from crazy.” The younger one sat upon Parisian’s white bed sheets. The room was a typical one for the wife of a ruler.

“You are far from sane. Sane beings do not kill my son then her twin, and blame it on the dead twin!”

“Heh. Well you never did know me too well. I thought it amusing when you tried to convince father it was I. I am his precious only daughter and he had known we did not get along.” She leaned back against her arms upon the bed. Nyxnia wanted to see her squirm before she act. “He loves me far too much, as it should be.”

“Not enough for you to be promised ruler until your brothers were gone. You killed my Nickoli!”

A chuckle escaped her. “A minor detail. I would have thought you’d want him gone, you never tried to care for him.”

“I’m surprised you did not kill me then as well.” Parisian replied, sipping the drink the other had passed earlier as she sat down in a chair, facing her now.

“I as well should have. You are the reason my mother is no longer here, you took her place. However, it was far too risky to have you die, for me to be connected.”

“So why are we having this pleasant chat?”

Nyxnia watched until the drink was entirely consumed. She watched her glance down as her stomach made an odd thumping noise. Panic entered the other woman’s eyes instantly as she now finally stood, walking around her calmly as if she were just on a daily stroll. The other woman tried to move, finding only her head could do so and fear seeped into her voice as she spoke. “What is this!?”

“I only said it was risky then. Not now. Now I need you. Is that not ironic? Seeing as I denied you. Rightly of course for you have always been only a useless whore to please my far too simply blinded father. What you drank I have enchanted. You will be paralyzed only temporarily, but once it wears off well…” She chuckled as she watched her father’s bride. “It won’t do you any good then now will it?”

“The guards will hear my screams.”

“From the depths of the many levels of hell? Perhaps. Here in Dimonos? Well…” Yet more laughter escapes her. “Unless they can rise after having their miniscule brains bashed to oblivion, I doubt they will help you. Father will not be due back for some time. It is just you and I. Mommy Dearest.”

Fear was so evident in her eyes and she could see the struggle. It was intoxicating to see it in her, something she caused. It almost had the effect of an aphrodisiac to her. She pulled the blade out with a sickening grin. “We’re going to play a little game, Mommy dearest…don’t you want to play a game with your own stepdaughter? By the way, little bit of trivia, even though you cannot move, you will be able to feel… Every. Little. Thing. I. Do. To. You. “ A lovely smile appeared on the young princess’ face. “Now, won’t that be fun?”

“You’re sick, and you are insane! You will be caught!” She screamed in fear.

Nyxnia shook her head as she wagged her finger. “Tsk Tsk Tsk, that’s not how we play the game. You didn’t even let me say the rules.” She pouted mockingly. “Well I guess we don’t need rules. I never liked em much anyway after seeing you and my father break them.” She plunged the blade into Parisian’s leg with a snicker, watching the crimson fluid flow as she dragged up along the thigh, she could feel it scratching the bone. The woman’s head shook as she expressed the indescribable pain. The dark blonde headed one grinned. “Another bit of trivia, I also enchanted the drink to keep you awake no matter how much your body wishes to pass out! I knew you wouldn’t want to miss a thing.”

Tears streamed down the other’s face uncontrollably as Nyxnia continued the drag the blade through her body without once taking it out. She made it turn to the left, letting it dig between the V of the other woman’s legs. She drove in as far as she could reach as a sickening substitute for what her father usually gave the woman. She felt the flesh fall away as she did. ”This is for what stole my mother away. I have to destroy the tool you used…” Blood gushed as if from a fountain and she had the joy of making lovely designs. Had to make it a pretty picture for daddy to see. She drove it up through to her gut. The woman with nothing more than degraded primal thoughts now. Only grunts, screams and groans. She pouted. She hadn’t expected Parisian to degenerate that soon. Well now that was disappointing.

Well, time to finish the job she supposed, while she was still alive. Soon she would die from loss of blood alone. All she heard were choking guttural sounds. Then she finally pulled the dagger out, her hand soaked from the flow of life fluid. She made note to wash her hand later. Then her hand traveled to the stomach once more and carved a hole from where she had just pulled it out from. The flesh fell away as the digestive organs fell out like toys from a child’s chest. Finally, the woman coughed on her blood and her eyes exploded from the crimson fluid as she drove the blade through her ear next through to the other side. The eyes were just a nice side effect from the enchanted drink. Nyxnia stood as she walked to the sink and turned it on with her clean hand. She hummed a tune as she washed the red away from her skin. She used the blade to carve a message within the walls. Then, she headed out, her work done as she left the mutilated body behind.

Nyxnia then went to her own chambers. Her father would return soon so this had to be timed just right. She stared down at her brother’s blade. She knew what she had to do if she were to find him. She waved a hand to write a message for her father upon the dark walls of her room. Then, she drove the blade into her own wrists with a abnormal pleasure. Again and again she did that till her arms were nothing more than the flowing of her own blood. She watched her life flow from her as she drove the talisman she had grabbed into one of the wounds, knowing it would complete her task… As she heard the gate entrance to her home open, she let out a bloodcurdling scream as her father entered the dark and twisted home. Her vision began to blur as the world wavered around her. She felt her heartbeat begin to slow and she felt suddenly weak…

So this was what it is to die.

She saw her body upon the floor as she rose above it. Her father raced into her room, seeing that was the source of the screams. His hands were covered in blood so she knew he had found Parisian. His raven black locks were damp against his head from the fierce storm. He read the message taunting her father “So you thought I was dead?“ It had said, in her brother’s style of handwriting. His jade eyes showed fury overpowering the agony he felt as he screamed with rage as he left the room. No servants to help him and he could obviously not bear to look at his daughter’s body no longer. She felt a suctioning pulling on her. Away from the dark shadows that seemed to want her. She saw a spot on her body’s arm glow brightly beyond her father’s vision. The talisman. The spell. The last thing she heard before she fell into her lost body was him going outside of the room with a final scream of fury.

“ALEXIUS!”

Then, all thoughts of that world vanished, as she was thrust into a new one beyond her understanding…

********

Brian Littrell had a normal life, he lived in his apartment, watching over his little brother Nickolas. Since their mother had died only four years before, he had taken over guardianship so they wouldn‘t be separated. At the age of twenty three he worked a steady job, went to college part time, and cared for his fourteen year old brother. A simple life in their simple apartment. He ran a hand through his strawberry blonde hair as he looked through their fridge for something to cook for dinner. He had sent an ad out for a roommate however, knowing he was having trouble with the new rent rise as of late. No one has responded, which could be well he supposed. Once a roommate moved in, there was a lot he would have to hide. Things he hid from his brother already. Things no one could possibly comprehend. Besides, he had the feeling one would come soon.

He heard a knock at the door, then a yell from his sibling. “I’ll get it!” Then the thumps of running, then a loud crash that could only be Nick. He chuckled and walked over his brother. He who lifted his head up, floppy blond hair about his face as his bright blue eyes dazzled, looking comical tangled up in a large fake plant. Brian opened the door to see a pretty young woman before him. One who he knew was coming. She had short blonde hair, pretty blue eyes, and a face as lovely and innocent as an angel’s.

“Hi,” She said softly. “My name’s Nina Jade, I heard you were looking for a roommate?”
Ties That Bond by Rose
Author's Notes:
And here is another spankin' new chapter. Thanks for all the reviews and messages I've gotten. I'm surprised at how you guys like it so much, and appreciate it. It keeps my muse alive hehe. Enjoy the chapter.
“As Reality Crumbles”

Chapter Four: Ties That Bond

She stepped into the human’s home as her eyes took in her surroundings. This world was…different to say the least and her spirit was still adjusting after all she had made it endure. She was getting by solely on what she was able to pull from Alexius’ mind when she forced a connection to him soon after landing in this reality. An alternate name was necessary, so she had become Nina Jade. A place to stay would be convenient, so she grabbed a bulletin of sorts for this world and looked through until she found possibilities. Of all of the ones she had seen, this one was most intriguing. Why? Because this place, only this one in a reality already dull and boring with the prejudice against other worldly things that were common in her home, seemed to surge with a mystic energy that called to her. So, being curious, she wanted to go there, perhaps draw from the energy that intrigued her so.

She watched the one with the reddish gold hair. He reminded her of someone but she shrugged it off. Possibly just looked like one of the townspeople she used to torture. In the background, the younger one, who had lighter shaggy hair, was dancing to a song that went on about bringing sexy back. Whatever that meant.

“My name is Brian.” The older one had said. “It’s not a palace, but it’s a nice place, roomy even for three people. That goof over there is my little brother, Nick. And the rent isn’t terribly high.” He stepped aside so she could come in.

Money. What they used for trading things here. Well magick could conjurer this world’s money up. She grinned, this place intrigued her still. Also for some reason, the two strangers soothed her dark tumultuous soul that burned for destruction. After being restless so long, it had finally begun to settle. Perhaps these two after she formed some kind of relationship with them, even though it would be false and for her own selfish purposes, would reveal why there was such energy around them. It would keep her busy in her forced quiet moments between messages to her other half she was bound to by fate again and again.

This would do.

This would do nicely.

***************

Alex felt the pain of his twin’s death as it happened, the raw feeling. It brought back memories he hated reliving. He felt her confusion about this world. Her prodding through his mind forcefully as he saw the images of their stepmother after she had done her handiwork. He shuddered. Then he had seen their father, and his rage. And how he had thought Alex was the cause of it all when it was not so. He had not known the blame rested on him for Nickoli’s death, and that Nyxnia had claimed she killed him trying to save Nickoli. He stumbled back on a chair in the living room. Stunned and drained from the drill of images and search through his own mind which had no privacy now. His sister had made that far too clear now. He looked up Orlando who seemed to be holding him up. His head spun as he groaned a bit.

“You passed out.” The older man said softly, a small bit of his Opalius accent coming out, which sounded a bit like a British accent if one listened close enough.

“She made us connect again.”

Kay raised a brow as she helped Alex up and over to the couch in the living room as the three sat. She gestured for a thick leather-bound book and it floated into Orlando’s lap with a soft thud. It was the legends of their mystic land they once called home. “She forced it on you?”

He nodded, “It was intense. I saw some things but she was really forceful this time, I’ve never connected with her like that before.”

Orlando and Kaorinite shared a troubled glance. “She was searching for information I think.” He replied as he opened the book Kay dropped in his lap moments before.

Alex rubbed his head tiredly as he leaned back against the comfort of the chair. His head throbbed with red hot intensity to the beat of a tribal drum. “I got flashes along with the ones in her mind, of what she was looking for. She wanted to know how I survived staying hidden here. How I fit in, how I get on. Customs…” He sighed. “Lucky for me she didn’t care about where I am yet.”

“Yet. That is the key word.”

A solemn nod came from both males in the house. Orlando took the book and opened it with the thud sound echoing with finality around the room. “We have to prepare.”

Kaorinite nodded. “I’ll go talk to Hannah and see if there are any new bloodbaths that might be connected to us.”

Alex looked at her with sadness and fear within his big expressive eyes. “You really think she’d murder random people here to send as messages?”

A stern look comes into the woman’s chocolate orbs. “I don’t doubt any possibility with her now. She’s here when I thought she wouldn’t be right? I wouldn’t put any nightmare past the girl.” She replied with a ferocity that surprised even Orlando and Alexius as she grabbed her purse, and left the house then. All that was heard afterwards was the sound of an engine running as she sped away from the seemingly quiet home.

******

Fury controlled his essence, his very being. His eyes saw nothing but red. Red all over the floors of his beloved daughters’ room. Red is what had flowed from his now mutilated wife. Messages left behind, for him to see. A game it was for the murderer behind this. A game to enrage him, taunt him, play with him as a cat would with a mouse. He took little notice of the fact the body of Nyxnia was gone from the room. He figured one of his menservants removed it from his sights. Smart man, whoever did it. His jade eyes had gone dark, almost pure black with unspeakable emotions. This one he had thought weak once, and he had been wrong. Memories of the one behind this burn his mind he tried to cloud with darkness. But he could not forget. He had been wrong about that boy. Far wrong…

The twins played in the front yard, screams of joy echoed around. The girl heard one of the many typical moans of those in the dungeon below, and began to cry. She was like her mother, far too sensitive for this world. His wife then, Belinite was at his side, about to go to them when he held her back.

“They will not toughen if you baby them Bell.”

“But they’re my babies,” she said with a weak sigh. Her eyes caught their newest guest, a woman by the name of Parisian, in the distance. A guest of Kevinicus. Her eyes burned with suspicion but that was shoved aside when her children caught her attention again.

Their son Alexius, held his sister as she cried for the person she could not see who the one behind the groans of pain was. He cried out, wanting nothing more than for his twin to be happy. “Dad! They’re making Nyxie sad!”

He shook his head and yelled back in frustration. “Do not protect your sister from the world! Meddling with female affairs makes you weak!”

“But dad! Why must we hurt people!?” Nyxnia cried, her eyes filled with childish tears at the tender age of ten years.

“Kevin,” The young Belinite said in a soft tone, pushing her dark blond hair away from her delicate face. “They are only children.”

“And they are terribly weak. It is not my genes so the blame rests on you. I am here to undo what nature put upon them with help from your heritage.” he pushed past her and headed downstairs towards the door.

“My heritage is one of power!”

“And is weakened by emotion. My sole son shames me. My daughter has power but is too soft to use it. My heirs are abominations in my eyes. I am to fix what curse you threw upon them.” He finally roared with finality, slamming the door behind him as he went to his children. He snatched them by their arms and pulled them up roughly. As he did, Nyxnia in upset and in rage, accidentally used her power in an unexpected way. Kevin flew to the wall slamming against it in pain. Alexius looked on in shock from where the two fell when he was thrusted back. Nyxnia stared in shock before both twins ran to him begging for forgiveness.

“Dad, please don’t be mad at Nyxnia, it was an accident…please…”


And then, by ironic fate, he, who had protected his sister most, was the one who killed her. It seemed unfathomable, and yet he did. He had killed his younger brother, and Nyxnia had fought him, and had killed him trying to defend Nickoli. So they had thought. Now it turned out he had not died, just hid till the opportune moment.

“Dad, please don’t be mad at Nyxnia, it was an accident…please…” The voice of his son echoed in his mind. Now was the time to finish this. He now had no heir. Nyxnia and Parisian had been his property and his own flesh and blood had them destroyed. His jaw clenched as he began to concoct a spell to cross the realities where his son would be. He was no longer in Dakria, or he would sense him. He gathered what he needed for a tracking spell as well.

It was time for a father/son reunion.

**************

Kaorinite walked along the calm streets of the suburbs of Las Vegas. The sun was gently setting with a various mix of soft hues. The breeze blew softly as the light began to fade, taking the intense heat with it. Her friend was beside her, Hannah Summerton, one of the most respected cops in Las Vegas. She had been the one who helped her adjust to this odd yet interesting world. With Kaorinite’s cover as a private investigator, the two have helped each other in many occasions, helping to capture many psychopaths and land them where they belonged. It interested Kay for it seemed here, there were many like Kevinicus and Nyxnia. Now her eyes had to be sharp for Nyxnia’s trademarks, for surely the girl would lash out soon to reach her twin. Over her time here protecting Alex, she had come to care for him as if he were really her little brother. The two did have ties to each other, but not like that of their bond. But it was something she wished not to think of.

“Usually when you pull me out, it’s because you know of someone trying to kill innocent people.” Hannah said with a small grin, breaking the silence between them as they walked. Both were sufficiently protected if some boy thinking he was a man tried anything. Hannah had lighter brown hair than Kaorinite, shorter as well, only shoulder length. Her eyes were seemingly ever-changing from a brown filled with gold, to a gentle hazel.

“I don’t know for sure, but I do have a hunch. A client came to me for protection and he was so kind, I have more than the typical reason to keep him safe. “The heels of her boots clickety clacked, being the only noise besides the occasional cars that drove by them.

“Anyone I know?”

“Why,” She teased, “To go and make Joely jealous?” Joel was Hannah’s beloved boyfriend, a music reviewer, and it surprised Kay that they hadn’t married. Then again, any who knew the truth about hers and Orlando’s relationship could say the same.

Her friend laughed happily. “He’d be no more jealous than Orlando. But seriously, is he?”

“No, but I have bonded with him. And the one who’s after him is dangerous from what he tells me. Dangerous on a new level.”

“Hannibal level type?”

“Pretty damn close.”

She nodded, her now hazel eyes clouding with worry for what Kay was getting into. She was known for taking risks, letting her emotion decide how to handle cases, and acting as if she believed herself invincible sometimes. “A name behind his pursuer? You might need help on this Kay.”

“I don’t know her real name, only the name she went by once. I could describe her, but…” She shrugged. “It wouldn’t be detailed enough.” That much was true. She hadn’t seen the girl since Nyxnia was but a child…

“Well an old name is better than nothing,” Her hands played with her purse as she searched for a piece of gum. Or even a poptart. Hannah was known for putting poptart packages in her purse for she snacked when she was contemplating or nervous. Never gained a pound. It made some of the more; well she would say bulgy cops jealous.

“She went by Nyxnia Jadis”

“Wow now doesn’t that sound like a wannabe movie serial killer.”

“She was for real though; my client was freaked by even telling me the story.”

“What is she known for?”

“Bloodbaths and weird signs. Just keep an eye for me Hannie.”

“Did we end up in the already bad Blair Witch Project’s sequel?”

“There was a sequel, it was better than original.” Truth be told, Kay had gotten into watching movies hoping to adapt better. It hadn’t worked but she had found a form of amusement at least amidst all the trouble headed towards them.

“Oh lord, glad I don’t watch flicks much.”

“But to be serious, she leaves stuff you would only see in that kind of movie. Let me know if you come on any case like that.” Her dark brown orbs show the worry and concern for her friend, the caring heart she had within behind the tough aura she threw around her.

Hannah nodded, wondering what new dark adventure she was getting into anytime she helped Kaorin out. “Of course, now come on, let’s get some food. This is Vegas, I’m sure some decent place is open.”

As the two headed down towards a Denny’s for brownie sundaes, a sinister gaze hid in the back, dissipating itself into the darkness and back to the essence it belonged. The source chuckled, Kaorinite should have known better. She was never alone enough to speak safely in this world now.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8153