Christmas Angels by Lissa
Summary: Nick is trying to make it home in time for Christmas. Written in 2004.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Holiday
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 2383 Read: 3879 Published: 12/16/06 Updated: 12/16/06

1. Chapter 1: Going Home by Lissa

2. Chapter 2: Stranded by Lissa

3. Chapter 3: Home for Christmas by Lissa

Chapter 1: Going Home by Lissa
2010

I woke up in a hotel room somewhere in New York. Today is Christmas Eve. I smiled slightly at the thought. In a few short hours I’ll be home with my wife, Kerri, and 4-year-old daughter, Amy. Just the thought of my little girl’s excited laughter ringing through the house made my smile larger. And it was that thought that got me out of bed.

With the knowledge that I’d be seeing my two girls very soon, I entered the bathroom. After relieving myself, I jumped in the shower. The more I thought about home, the more excited I became.

Once I finished my shower, I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around my waist. I walked through my suite whistling a Christmas Carol. I quickly dressed then packed up my remaining stuff that was still scattered around my hotel room. I walked to the night stand where my cell phone was charging. I disconnected my phone from the charger and turned it on. Then I grabbed my charger and quickly packed it.

I grabbed my jacket and quickly placed my cell phone in my pocket. As I was grabbing my bag, I glanced out the window. I frowned momentarily at the gray, dreary sky. Nothing can ruin my day today. I was going home to my family and leaving this cold, and possibly snowy weather behind me. As I was walking out of the hotel, I called my family.

~*~
Third Person P.O.V.

“Mommy, Mommy.”

Kerri opened her eyes to her daughter standing by the bed. “Good Morning honey.”

“Mor’in Mommy. Today is Chwistmas Eve.”

“That’s right sweetie. Do you know who’s coming home today?”

“DADDY.”

“That’s right honey. Daddy’s coming home. He’ll be here in just a few hours.”

“Mommy come.”

“Where are you taking me?”

“We got to make cookies for Daddy.” Amy said as if that was the most obvious thing in the world.

Kerri got out of bed and grabbed her bath robe. She smiled as she watched her daughter bounce out the door and up to the gated stairway. Kerri grabbed Amy’s hand and they made their way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Kerri had just finished getting the ingredients out for the cookies when the phone rang. Kerri went to answer the phone while Amy sat at the kitchen table swinging her legs back and forth.

“Hello?”

“Hey baby.”

“Nicky.” She squealed happily. Nick laughed. “What?”

“No, hi Nick, how are you, just Nicky. That’s some greeting.”

“Sorry.”

“That’s ok.”

“Hey. Where are you? Is that better?”

“Much. I’m heading to the airport now. I can’t wait until I get home.”

“Well we can’t wait for you to get home.”

“Where’s Amy?”

“She’s sitting right here swinging her legs back and forth. Do you want to talk to her?”

“Sure.”

Kerri took the phone away from her ear and turned to Amy. “Honey, do you want to talk to Daddy?”

“DADDY.” Amy squealed. She pushed herself off the chair and was at her mother’s legs in seconds. Kerri handed her the phone. “Hi Daddy.”

“Hey princess.” Nick’s smile grew at the sound of her little voice.

“Guess what Daddy?”

“What?”

“Today’s Chwistmas Eve. And you’re coming home today.”

“Yes I am.”

“When will you be here? I miss you.”

“I miss you too and I’ll be home in a couple hours. Can you put you mom back on.”

“Yep. I wuve you Daddy.”

“I love you too princess.” Amy handed the phone back to Kerri.

“Hello?”

“Hey, I’m just arriving at the airport, so I gotta get going. I’ll see you in a couple hours. I love you.”

“I love you too Nicky.” They hung up at the same time.

~*~
Nick’s P.O.V.

I hung up the phone and stepped out of the car. I looked up when a snowflake fell on my nose. Well, it’s only flurrying, that’s nothing to worry about. I walked around to the back of the car. I grabbed my suitcase and walked into the airport.

I was standing on line waiting to pick up my ticket. I glanced out the window and noticed that it was snowing slightly heavier then when I entered the airport.

I got my ticket and walked to wait on another line at baggage claim. As I was getting closer to checking my luggage an announcement came over the airport. “Due to adverse weather conditions, the following flights have been cancelled: Flight 378 from New York to Chicago, Flight 784 from New York to Memphis, Flight 554 from New York to Orlando…” The list went on but I didn’t hear any of them. My flight was cancelled. I looked out the window again to see a wall of white. The wind was howling and the snow was really coming down. I picked up my suitcase and sat on one of those uncomfortable airport chairs.

I felt tears burning the back of my eyes. I was so certain that nothing would keep me from getting home. I grabbed my cell phone and called home.

“Hello?”

“Hey.” I said quietly and sullenly.

“Hey, why are you calling back? I thought you were supposed to be waiting for your flight.”

“My flight was cancelled.”

“What?”

“It’s snowing here. All flights have been grounded. I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it home.”

Chapter 2: Stranded by Lissa
Third Person P.O.V.

They watched the young man sit down on the airport chairs. The watched the phone call and they continued watching as he hung up. Soon he hung up the phone and placed his head in his hands. It became obvious that he was crying as his body started shaking.

~*~
Florida

Kerri hung up the phone slowly. She was having a hard time dealing with the news she just heard. She didn’t know how she was going to tell Amy. This would break her heart. She took a deep breath and walked to where Amy was watching Christmas movies.

“Amy.”

“Yes Mommy.”

“I have some bad news for you.” Amy looked at her mother. She didn’t say anything. She was waiting for Kerri to continue. “That was Daddy on the phone. It’s snowing where he is and he’s not going to be able to come home today.”

Amy looked down into her lap. “He’ll be home tomorrow.” She stated innocently.

“Sweetie, he might not make it home for tomorrow either.”

“He’ll be home tomorrow.”

“Honey.”

“Mommy, he will be home. Santa will not let us spend Christmas day without Daddy.”

Kerri smiled at her young daughter. So innocent and so full of trust. She just hoped that her daughter’s heart wasn’t going to be broken the next day.

~*~
Nick’s P.O.V.

There was no hope that I’d get home today. I just hoped that somehow I’d be able to get home for tomorrow.

I walked up to the information desk.

“Can I help you sir?”

“I was just wondering how long the planes would be grounded.”

“Until the end of the storm.”

“When is the storm ending?”

“Sometime tonight. Oh and then its Christmas day so there won’t be any flights tomorrow. You might as well go back home. You won’t be leaving until the 26th.”

“Why won’t there be any flights tomorrow?”

“Because it’s Christmas day. You can’t expect our pilots and flight attendants, and clerks to work on Christmas day.”

“Well what about all the people who are trying to get home to their families for the holiday.”

“You shouldn’t have been away from your family so close to the holiday.”

“I was here on business, I had no control over it.”

“Sir, you aren’t going to get special treatment.”

“I’m not asking for special treatment, but I’m sure there are others in my same situation.”

“I’m sorry sir. There’s nothing we can do. You’re stuck here until the 26th.”

I walked away with my head hung low. All hope of getting home for tomorrow was destroyed.

~*~
Third Person P.O.V.

They watched Nick’s talk with the clerk at the information desk. They watched him walk away from the desk with his head hung low. There had to be something that they could do to help him get home.

Chapter 3: Home for Christmas by Lissa
Nick’s P.O.V.

I was starring at the floor when I saw two people approach me. I looked up.

“Hi, I’m Holly.”

“I’m Chris.”

“Hi.”

“We couldn’t help but notice your melancholy demeanor.”

“I’m stuck in an airport for Christmas while my wife and daughter are home. I won’t be able to be home for Christmas.”

“Where’s home?”

“Orlando Florida.”

Chris and Holly turned to each other and quietly discussed something amongst themselves. Holly turned back to me. “What’s your name?”

“Nick.”

“Ok Nick, what would you say if I told you that we could get you home.”

“I’d probably ask you what you’ve been smoking. It’s a blizzard out there.”

“Well then you should probably ask what we’ve been smoking because we are going to get you home for Christmas.”

“How?”

“Just come with us.” Although it was completely insane, I picked up my suitcase and followed them out of the airport. I shivered with each step I took. I wasn’t dressed for New York in winter. However, I stayed quiet and just kept following.

It seemed that the snow was letting up but it was still coming down heavy. Through the snow, I saw that they were leading me to a car. Chris opened the trunk. “Give me your bag Nick.” I hesitated. I was a little leery about their intentions. “Nick, do you want to get home?”

“Of course.”

“Then give me your bag and get in the car.”

“Is it safe to drive in this weather?”

“The snow is starting to let up. Once we get passed this storm, we’ll have a smooth ride.”

“Don’t be fooled Nick, the driving conditions are rough right now so it will take us awhile to get out of this storm.”

I walked up to the car and placed my bag in the trunk then I climbed into the backseat. Chris was in the driver’s seat so that leaves Holly in the passenger seat. Chris started the car and put it in gear, and slowly started making his way out of the airport parking lot.

As soon as he got out of the parking lot, traffic was moving even slower due to the messy condition.

We left the airport around mid afternoon, and we didn’t get out of the storm until late that night. I may be on my way home, but I don’t think I’ll make it. We are still closer to New York, than to Florida.

It was with that thought that I fell asleep.

“Mommy, Daddy. Wake up. It’s Chwistmas.”

I opened my eyes and saw Amy. She climbed on the bed and placed herself in between myself and Kerri. I looked at Kerri over Amy’s head. She gave me a knowing nod and that was my cue. I started tickling Amy. Her giggles filled the room.

When the tickling and giggling subsided, Amy climbed off the bed and grabbed Kerri’s hand. Kerri then grabbed my hand and we walked downstairs to see what Santa left under the tree.

We watched as Amy opened her presents. Christmas wrapping paper littered the room. With each gift she received, she squealed louder.

Once all her presents were open, she stood up and ran over to me and Kerri. “Merry Chwistmas Mommy. Merry Chwistmas Daddy.”

“Merry Christmas sweetie.”

I woke up and glanced out the window. I was shocked to see sunshine and palm trees. The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was snow covered pine trees and other deciduous trees that were covered in snow. I looked up and Holly looked back. “Merry Christmas Nick.”

“Merry Christmas. Where are we?”

“We just entered Florida. We should be arriving at your house in about two hours.”

I looked at the clock on the radio. It was 1:30. I slept the whole morning away. “How did we get this far in just a few hours?”

“We didn’t stop, we drove straight through all night.”

“We promised you that you’d be home for Christmas, we weren’t lying.”

We had a light conversation for the rest of the drive to my house. Soon it was two hours later, and we were pulling into my driveway.

I looked out the window and saw Kerri sitting on the porch with Amy. Kerri sent Amy back into the house when the strange car pulled into the driveway. She eyed the car suspiciously. I got out of the backseat. As soon as Kerri saw me, she ran from her spot on the porch and into my arms. Chris got my bag for me. “Oh Nicky. You made it.”

“Yeah. I’m home.”

“Merry Christmas Nicky.”

“Merry Christmas.”

I felt someone tugging on the leg of my pants, so I looked down. I scooped my little girl into my arms. “Merry Chwistmas Daddy.”

“Merry Christmas princess.”

“See Mommy, I told you Daddy would be home for Chwistmas.”

I put Amy down and went to thank Holly and Chris for helping me get home. But they were already gone. Neither Kerri nor I heard the car start or leave. In the spot the car was, lied a piece of paper. I walked over and grabbed the paper.

Sometimes, all you need is an angel watching over your shoulder. Merry Christmas!

I smiled at the note. I folded it and placed it in my pocket. I picked up Amy again, and put my free arm around Kerri. We walked into the house.

~*~
Third Person P.O.V.

Chris and Holly watched as the reunited family walked into the house to enjoy the remainder of their Christmas. They smiled and happily resumed their responsibility of being the guardian angels assigned to watch over this family.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8221