Resurrection by Mare
Summary: The last part of the Biblical trilogy consisting of Mizpah and Revelation.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Suspense
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: No Word count: 49740 Read: 50205 Published: 02/12/07 Updated: 01/17/08

1. Chapter 1 ~ The Delivery Boy by Mare

2. Chapter 2 ~ Routines by Mare

3. Chapter 3 ~ On the Beach by Mare

4. Chapter 4 ~ Shadows by Mare

5. Chapter 5 ~ Right Outside my Window by Mare

6. Chapter 6 ~ Memories...like the corners of my mind by Mare

7. Chapter 7 ~ Psalm 31 by Mare

8. Chapter 8 ~ Band of Brothers by Mare

9. Chapter 9 ~ KAOS 1980 by Mare

10. Chapter 10 ~ Sleepless Nights by Mare

11. Chapter 11 ~ An ocean full of thoughts...a boatload of problems by Mare

12. Chapter 12 ~ Sophie's Choice by Mare

13. Chapter 13 ~ It Will be Okay by Mare

14. Chapter 14 ~ Testify! by Mare

15. Chapter 15 ~ Atlas Shrugged by Mare

16. Chapter 16 ~ Doubting Thomas by Mare

17. Chapter 17 ~ Calling Card by Mare

18. Chapter 18 - Judas by Mare

19. Chapter 19 ~ Say it was only a Dream by Mare

20. Chapter 20 ~ The Last Supper by Mare

21. Chapter 21 ~ The Twelfth Apostle by Mare

22. Chapter 22 ~ The Agony in the Garden by Mare

23. Chapter 23 ~ Who Do You Love? by Mare

24. Chapter 24 ~ The Straying Sheep by Mare

25. Chapter 25 ~ Fraternal Correction by Mare

26. Chapter 26 ~ Eli Eli lema sabachthani by Mare

27. Epilogue: The Exodus by Mare

Chapter 1 ~ The Delivery Boy by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hey guys!

I see that this story never made it's way onto the new AC site either lol after this one I think all of my stuff is transferred over. Anyway, if you haven't read it enjoy and if you have then thanks for reading! It looks like I originally posted this one almost 4 years ago to the day. How weird!
~ The Delivery Boy ~


It was an ordinary day, just like any other. The wind was blowing a cool breeze over the sand between the boys feet. He liked the way it tickled him as he flexed his toes in rhythm to the howling wind. He loved being near water. It was peaceful and made everything seem okay. He laid back on the sand, not caring that there was no towel or blanket underneath him. Placing his baseball cap over his eyes to block out the sun, he listened to the seagulls sing their morning songs. This was his favorite time of day. Early morning, before the hustle and bustle of tourists clamoring for a good spot by the water. This was his beach and he hated the fact that so many strangers insisted on sharing it.

"Hey kid" He moved his hat away from his eyes, now that a man was keeping the glare of the sun off of him. He sat up, leary of returning the greeting. "Hey kid did you hear me?" The man said again now smiling. This made the boy smile. Okay he thought, maybe this guy was nice after all.

"Hello" The boy said in return. This made the big man, almost giant compared to the scrawny teenager, squat down beside him.

"It's nice out here isn't it?" The man asked. Now the boy was beginning to regret his decision to be friendly. He sat up, "Yes I like it" When strangers approach you, keep it short and sweet. That is what his brother always told him.

"Would you mind doing me a favor?" The man asked. Now the boy grew suspicious. This couldn't be a good thing, but because the man was so big, the boy shrugged. This brought a laugh out of the huge guy. A totally fake laugh. "It's okay, don't worry, I mean you no harm. I promise" For some reason, that didn't seem to ease the boys mind but still he found his own curiosity getting the better of him.

"Sure what is it?" The kid asked, once again shielding his eyes form the sun.

The tall man took out a piece of paper. It was yellow from age. Looked a little burnt too. The man handed it to the boy, "I would like you to deliver this for me" He said. The boy took it from the man and held it down so he could get a closer look. "It's a page from the Bible" The man said.

"Why do you want me to deliver this? Why don't you do it yourself?" The boy asked now beyond curious.

The big man seemed to ignore the question, he smiled "So will you do it? I'll give you $100" He held out a one hundred dollar bill and dangled it in front of the boys face.

"Sure" the kid said, "Why not" Once the big man got the answer he was looking for, he handed the money to the boy.

"Where does this go?" He asked, expecting to here a local address, maybe a short bike ride down the street. He never expected to hear..."Florida State Prison"

"Excuse me? I can't go in there, they would never let me in there" The boy said handing the old beat up piece of paper back to the man. Hundred dollars here and gone in a matter of minutes, he thought. "It's no problem really, look I will drive you there, all you have to do, is hand it to one of the guards and they will take care of the rest"

"You think it will be that easy?" The boy asked now laughing at the stupidity of the older man. The man came very close, almost touching noses and his once sunny demeanor disappeared into a dark dark mood. "It will happen just like I said, now let's go" The man said grabbing the boy by the shoulders and pushing him to his feet.

As the boy sat shaking in the man's car he kept looking at the paper. "What does this mean?" The kid asked, now almost near tears. "It is a message to my sister that I am back" He said to the boy, happy to see him that scared. "Do you know what it means?" He asked the kid, who now had tears forming in his eyes. The kid only shook his head.

The man didn't bother grabbing the paper to read the passage, he had it memorized, had for months in fact, "He has been raised from the dead and goes ahead of you to Galilee, where you will see him. That is the message I have for you" He said to the boy as he smiled.

"What does that mean sir?" The kid said in a small voice.

Joe looked over at him and now laughed again, this time more maniacal then before, sending the kid into a full on crying fit. "Trust me kid, you don't even want to know" He said as he drove away from he beach, the boys hat being left behind only to be buried in the sand until both the hat and the body would be found in unison a few days later...
Chapter 2 ~ Routines by Mare
Routines


Anyone whose name was not found in the book was hurled into the fire! MIZPAH NICK!!!

I woke up screaming...again. It has been my new routine ever since this stupid hell happened to me. I take a series of deep breaths and wipe the sweat off of my face. He is dead Nick, move on. I say to myself almost daily. It has become my new mantra. Then the next thing happens naturally, the gentle tapping on the door. Today it is Howie's turn.

"Nicky, are you okay?" I look over at the door, trying to control my emotions before part three of this new routine happens.

Howie opened the door slightly, poking his head in and smiling. There it was. Ladies and gentlemen, part three of this new morning routine. The concerned friend makes an appearance. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah D, I'm fine" Howie walked in and sat next to me on my bed.

"You want to talk about it?" He asked me placing his hand on my shoulder. Love and concern shining in his eyes.

"Do I ever want to talk about it Howie?" He laughed.

"No, I suppose not" He pulled himself up and started for the door, "It's almost noon, why don't you come down and have some breakfast"

"Okay, in a minute" He nodded and then closed my door. I stood up and stretched, trying to get an idea of how the day was gonna go. There were four different news vans out front today. Also a bunch of people holding cameras. They have been hounding me ever since I came back. Now that Trish was on trial, they were here ALL the time.

The trial, now that was stressful. Of course I was called to testify. I was drilled by her lawyer, claiming that I wanted to be there the whole time. She just stared at me, big grin on her face during my testimony. I single handedly got her the guilty conviction. She even smiled while they put the cuffs on her and took her away. Her eyes never leaving mine.

I decided to get dressed and make my way downstairs. Now knowing what to expect.

Howie was glancing out the window. "They have been here all morning" He said as I joined him, "Don't they have anything better to do? God go bother someone else" I complained as I turned away from the window and sat on my couch. Flipping through the channels. "I wouldn't watch TV today if I were you" Howie warned me.

"Why?"

"She's everywhere today"

"Oh"

You know, it had been almost three months since all this stuff happened and yet, I still was a prisoner. This time in my own home. At least I was finally staying in my own home. There was a period of time, when the guys and my parents, wouldn't even let me back here. Too many bad memories they had said but I wondered if they meant for me or for them.

So at least I get to stay in my house. Not alone yet, still under big brother's watchful eye, but at least I was home.

"You got a summons today" Howie said as he sat next to me at my table. He passed me the box of Count Chocula and frowned.

"I knew it was coming" I said as I poured my cereal into the bowl.

"It's almost over Nicky, then you can have your life back"

I nodded but I didn't believe him. It would never be over. Never.

"Then you should maybe think about moving out of here" I rolled my eyes at him while I chewed.

"Hey, it's just a thought" He said winking as he ate.

"Yeah right. I could move to Mars and they would still be hounding me"

"So..what are you gonna do?" He asked all traces of humor gone from his face.

What a good question that was. The main trial was over. She was guilty. Now we were on the penalty phase. The District Attorney had warned me that her lawyers might summons me. They would try to get me to say she was worth sparing. Of course, the State wanted death instead of life. When they first started trying this case, her lawyers pleaded insanity. Saying she was out of her right mind to kill all those boys, arguing that she herself never had a hand in killing them at all. The problem was, there was no proof of that. So thankfully, they went ahead with murder in the first degree.

The news people claimed it was my testimony that really did it. Made the jury believe this woman was as guilty as guilty can be. They were impressed with my "Stoic" expressions and how well I had held myself together while being questioned. I wasn't being brave or stoic or anything else, I wanted her to go away so she wouldn't be able to hurt anybody else. Simple as that.

See, I think that it was really HER testimony that put her away and you know something else, I think she WANTED it that way too. She never denied that she killed anybody, she never said it was her brother that did most of the dirty work, she only sat there smiling from time to time until they started to show the faces of all the boys that were killed. And there were so many. Trish had been linked to years and years of killings. Years and years of parents grieving for their college aged sons who would never come home again. During those points of the trial, she would just look down at the floor.

Life without the possibility of parole or the death penalty. One or the other.

"What are you thinking about?" Howie asked me, I hadn't realized that I was zoning out. It happens a lot these days. I go back to that place a little more than I'd care to.

"Oh, sorry" I said, "Just thinking about... I don't know" He came over to me again this time wrapping me in a big hug while I sat in mid chew.

"Aw, Nick everything will work out, Kevin is stopping by today" I swallowed my food and took a swig of milk.

"Cool!" I finally got out accompanied by a burp.

"You know you guys really don't have to keep baby sitting me like this, I am a grown man I can handle being alone"

"Nick, I don't think you realize how scared we all were for you. We know you can handle being by yourself, WE can't handle it" I had to smile when he ruffled my hair. Howie had a way about him, making everything better.

"D?"

"Yes?"

I stood up and wrapped my arms around him "Thanks"

It's funny that before all this crap happened, we were just starting to work on this album. We could barely tolerate being in a room together, I mean I resigned. Then in the blink of an eye, this happened and all thoughts of the Backstreet Boys vanished. We were just family at that point. Close as close can get.

For the first time since I have been back, last month, Kevin brought up our album. We were all surprised. Like we almost forgot we were a group entirely. We all thought that maybe it was time to try to go back in the studio again, so they were regularly using my house as the meeting place to write some more songs and run through ideas. Mostly it was to check up on me, but that's okay too.

I travelled back into my living room and once again took my place on the couch. Howie followed me, "So are you changing shifts then?" I asked

"Yeah Nick that's it, we're changing shifts. No as a matter of fact I am hanging around for a few more days. You can't get rid of me that easily. We have work to do" I laughed.

Kevin ran to the door and let himself in, reporters snapping his picture as he ran. "God! I hate those people" He said walking over to me and giving me a hug. Then doing the same to Howie. I noticed a suitcase. Cool Kevin was staying around for a few days.

"They've been here all morning" Howie reaffirmed to Kevin.

"You'd think they would be covering that poor kids murder instead" He stopped himself then felt the need to apologize.

"Kevin it's okay, what murder are you talking about?"

"You haven't heard?"

"No, Howie won't let me watch TV" Howie winked at me, the smile never leaving his face.

"There was a murder on the beach, the police found a teenager buried underneath the sand, he was strangled. Right up the street. You think they would cover that instead"

"That's terrible" I said

"I know it is. There are some sick people in this world little man" Like I didn't know that.

I stood up and looked out the window once again, now looking in the direction of the beach. Poor kid I thought, And closed my eyes realizing that even my quiet safe place wasn't safe anymore.
Chapter 3 ~ On the Beach by Mare
~ On the Beach ~


Through the simple conversation that Howie and Kevin were making, my mind kept going back to the beach. It's funny but now, my life was split up into two timelines. Before the abduction and after. It's like everything in between just kind of went away, reserved only for my nightmares. Before the abduction, if I had heard about that teen found on the beach, I would shudder only briefly. More concerned about my safety than anything else. Now it was different. I found myself picturing how scared he must have been, how terrified his family was for him. How even now, as I sit in my home looking out the window and laughing with friends, his family was held in the grasp of grief. Their lives would never be normal. Never again. Sure people would make a big deal about it in the news, sure they would be hugged and consoled but eventually, his death would fade away. Long forgotten. Except for his family and friends and my guess is people like me, who had gone through such a traumatic experience.

"What was his name?" I asked, bringing my two friends to halt their conversation.

"What did you say Nick?" I turned towards Kevin, "The boy they found on the beach, what was his name" Kevin had a deep look of sadness in his eyes. Like he was sorry he had brought it up. "Why?" He asked me, lowering his voice to coincide with death.

"Just wondering" I looked towards the beach once again.

"I don't know, I can look it up if you'd like" He said now moving towards the paper that Howie had been reading earlier on.

I moved away from the window and took a seat next to Howie who had his eyes trained on me the whole time, "You okay Nicky?"

"Yeah"

"Okay here it is" Kevin said looking at the paper and walking back towards Nick and Howie, "Um..his name is"

"Was" I corrected him, he looked up at me and frowned, "Was I mean..Thomas Peterson"

"Oh"

"Did you know him Nick?" Howie asked me. I shook my head. "No, but now I do" I turned my attention back to the window. The reporters were still there but many had given up their watch, realizing that I wasn't coming out today.

"Says here that he was a paper boy. He lived in the area and his parents were wealthy business people. He had a big brother Martin who he was very close to" I nodded. "Sorry Thomas" I said under my breath.

Kevin noticing my somber mood put the newspaper down and walked over next to me. Placing his hand on my shoulder he said, "Nick, you're safe. No one is going to hurt you anymore"

My sigh was his only answer. He squeezed my shoulder tighter, "Come on, let's do some work" He said getting me away from the window.
~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*
Joe watched the beach like a hawk. He watched as the police came wrapping the yellow tape around the entrance, he watched as they pulled the body away and he watched as the crowd gathered, from a safe distance. He felt a little bad about killing the boy. He seemed nice enough, but sometimes you had to make some small sacrifices in order to do God's work. He was on a mission. A mission to make things right. He left some lose ends, when he shouldn't have and now God was punishing him. Threatening to kill his sister. That he couldn't let happen.

When he had that boy deliver that note to his sister, he watched as the kid carefully and slowly had moved to the security guard. Prepared to speed away if he saw the security guards gaze shift to his car. Luckily it never did, and the guard took the note and said he would give it to someone who knew how to handle it. There was a good chance it would be thrown out. That was a risk he had to take, but there was also a chance that it could get back to his sister. If it was God's will it would be done.

His eyes shifted from the main beach to the house off in the distance. His house. He found himself smiling. My little lamb, soon. He walked back towards the house but stopped a safe distance away. Stopped and sat down. This part of the beach was not shut off for the public. This part of the beach was safe, he could tell by the friendly banter going on around him. A couple right next to him talking about where to have dinner. Two kids playing in the sand right next to the water. He pulled his hat down over his head. He was a big man, hard to go unnoticed, but people were too wrapped up in themselves to hardly care.

He laid back and shut his eyes, silently praying that things would naturally fall into place.
~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~
They had gotten about two verses and a chorus done before he felt the need to stop for the day. "Guys I think I want to go for a walk" I stood up.

"Where are you going?"

"The beach"

Kevin and Howie looked at each other, "Nick, maybe that's not such a good idea"

"Why not Kev?"

"Because of all the press and the murder"

"You said it was safe" I was quick to point out.

"It is, but Nick.."

"Kevin, I just need to stretch my legs. The beach makes me relax"

"Want company?" Howie asked.

"No, that's okay. I'll be back soon and then we can order a pizza or something okay?" Both men cautiously nodded.

I laced up my sneakers already feeling the warmth and peace of the waves. God I loved the water. I had to come out here, by the time I did, all press was gone. So I didn't have to run. I was ready for it though, hence the running shoes. I walked down to the beach and stared out into the crystal blue water. Hearing the waves crash back and forth, instantly calmed me down.

I walked just a little ways and then plopped down on the sand, wrapping my arms around my legs, I just listened to the crashing of the waves and thought about Thomas and his family and friends. Those thoughts travelled from Thomas to me and MY family and friends. How scared they were. The guys, all of which in addition to me, had started going to therapy. How one little event can cause so much drama was almost funny. I rested my head on my legs picturing how happy my Mom and dad were when they saw me for the first time. She had dropped to her knees and cried. Dad cried too. We thought you were dead they had said. I had too.

I sat up suddenly, my head jerking at a sound. Footsteps. I turned to my right. I felt like I was being watched. I suddenly felt uneasy. Then a tap on the shoulder. I jumped as I turned to my left. Kevin was standing there "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you"

"I told you I didn't need company"

"I didn't believe you" He said sitting down next to me.

Feeling safe again, I returned my head to it's original resting position. I felt his hand on my back as he rubbed it. We sat there in silence, both of us just staring at the waves.

Unaware of a dark figure lurking behind us, with a huge grin on his face. Grasping a Bible in his hands...
Chapter 4 ~ Shadows by Mare
~ Shadows ~


Insomnia, that is another thing that has plagued me since I have been back from captivity. I can barely fall asleep anymore. Late at night, when I turn off the lights, the shadows the night sky make on my walls, cause me to jump and my heart to race. That is when I am the most grateful for my friends and the fact that all I have to do is walk out the door, down the steps and wake up a sleeping Kevin and ask him to play a game of Nintendo with me.

I laid on my bed, the night I came back from the beach and stared up at my ceiling. I still found myself thinking about that kid. About his life cut short. The sounds of the night were particularly loud, So I decided to get up and close my windows. Even though I found that the light ocean breeze helped put me to sleep. I stretched and made my way over to the window, looking out before shutting the noises out for the night.

My eyes grew big as saucers when I saw a figure of a man. Just standing there staring back at me from under my window. I screamed and fell back to the floor. Crawling backwards towards my bed. Certain that at any moment, that figure, was going to climb up the side of the house and burst through my window.

Kevin and Howie both came barreling through my door, making me scream once again and crouch down almost under the bed.

"What's wrong!" Kevin yelled turning on my light and seeing me in my fetal position on the floor. Howie bent down beside me, "Nicky, what happened?" He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder but I winced at the touch. Still staring at the window. Kevin seeing the look of horror on my face proceeded to the window. After glancing out, he bent down beside me "Nick, tell us what's wrong"

"There was someone outside staring up at me" I said in a shaky voice. My whole body was shaking, making Kevin and Howie exchange troubled glances. Kevin got up and looked out the window once again, this time opening it up, including the screen and stuck his head entirely out the window. Howie once again placed his hand on my shoulder, this time I welcomed it.

"There is nothing out there Nick" Kevin said closing the window and joining me on the floor. "It was probably just a raccoon or something. You are safe kiddo. Okay?" I nodded and then placed my head on Howie's shoulder. Howie and Kevin exchanged those looks again. "I am going downstairs just to make sure your alarms are in tact and that security is on their toes okay? Will that make you feel better?" I nodded. Kevin always had to make things better, even when he wasn't quite sure how. After he was gone I lifted my head from Howie's shoulder, "You guys think I am nuts don't you?"

"No way Jose" He said bringing a smile to my face.

"Okay. It's just that I know I saw something"

"Well, Kevin is going to make sure that security is on it"

"Thanks for being here Howie"

"You want me to stay here on the floor?"

"No! you don't have to do that"

"Only until you fall asleep"

"No, really that is okay" I stood up and got back into bed. Even though I wanted him to stay more than anything else, I was a little too proud to admit it. He followed my lead and got up off the floor

"Okay, well if you need anything, just holler okay?"

"Thanks D, I will" Then with a wink and a smile, he exited the room. Leaving me once again all alone in the dark. I pulled the covers up over my head. And closed my eyes.
___________________________________________________________________
I closed the door to Nick's room very hesitantly, I felt like maybe I should have been more insistent on staying in there with him. The kid had been through so much. Kevin came trotting back up the steps, "Security said there has been no activity right outside his window. They are double checking now though"

"Good" I said once again looking back at Nick's closed bedroom door. "You are worried aren't you D?" I returned Kevin's question with a nod. Truth is, yes I was very worried about Nick. He barely spoke about his kidnapping. Still we didn't know all the details. He refused to open up to any of us.

"Maybe we should stay in there with him" Kevin said going to open Nick's door. I placed my hand on his arm, "No! He said he didn't want us in there" Kevin placed his head against the door, looking like a man not sure of what to do. He finally turned back towards me, "Why is he seeing things?"

"Because he has been traumatized" I answered honestly. I mean I can only imagine what it was like for Nick. We were going to therapy for this. It was too much for US to handle. God, what about him?

"You know, it's probably because of Trish being all over the news again"

"Howie, is this ever going to go away?"

"I hope so" But I doubted it.
________________________________________
I hope so too I thought to myself when I heard Kevin's question. There had been so many times, especially on the bus in the middle of tours that I would just lie in bed and listen to my band brother's talk about me. They always forgot that a closed door or a closed curtain didn't mean sound proof. I heard every word that was said. Of course on the bus the conversations were always a little more fun. What is wrong with that kid? Is he on drugs or something? Or let's scare him and pretend we left him here alone type of things. I would giggle into my pillow. Better yet, was when Kevin would be mean to me all day, and then in my absence do nothing but show deep concern for my well being. Most of the time growing up I needed that. To know that they were on my side.

So that's why even now, as I heard Howie and Kevin's conversation right outside my door, it didn't bother me. It calmed me down. Because I knew that they were there. I also knew that despite what Howie told Kevin about me not wanting them to bother me, I would find him on my floor soon enough. As if reading my mind, my door popped open and in walked Kevin.

"Nick" He whispered. I thought about pretending to be asleep but that would only make him leave. So I pulled my head from under the covers, "Yeah?"

"I am staying in here with you tonight, is that okay? The faucet in your guest bedroom is leaking really loudly and I can't sleep" I smiled.

"Sure, that's no problem"

"Cool!" He said climbing into MY bed.

"Dude, what the heck are you doing?" I asked him sitting up.

"Getting into bed"

"Um.. I'm kind of sleeping in here" He laughed, "Aw come on Nick, can't two grown men share a huge king sized bed? I'm married for Goodness sakes!"

"Okay but don't cuddle with me, if you try to cuddle with me, I might push you the hell off!"

"Awww doesn't Nick love me anymore?"

"God Kevin that was just creepy" He laughed.

"Goodnight kiddo"

"Night night" He moved around a bit adjusting himself under the covers. I was glad he was there. The bed was so big, we were nowhere near each other, I felt safe though. God how pathetic I am a 23 year old man, afraid to sleep alone in my own bed? Having to have a 32 year old male sleep in here with me? It was working though as I felt my eyelids grow heavier. A feeling of calmness overcame me and I drifted off to sleep.
_______________________________________________________________-
Nightfall my favorite time of day. A time when I feel closest to God. The young one saw me today. My lamb, I was standing right outside his window. He looked down, our eyes connected. It was dark but I know he saw me. I wonder if he misses me as much as I miss him. I miss his company, his laugh and his fear. That child belongs to me. Those other guys keep getting in my way though, Kevin and Howie. One always seems to be here. They are trying to prevent me from doing my Father's work.

The sound of footfalls coming around the house brought me back into the darkness. I hid behind the bushes waiting for the guard to pass. It was so easy to get by these guys. I guess you can't find decent help these days. Like me. I would have never allowed a maniac to gain access to my charges house. Maniac? Did I just call myself a maniac? I guess that is okay, they called John the Baptist a maniac when he stood in the water saving souls for our Father.

The guard walked right by me, as if I was invisible. Maybe I am. But I'm not willing to take that chance. He was smoking a cigarette too. Smoking on the job. Not paying any attention. I guy could get killed like that. The guard, picked up his radio, "It's all clear out here, I have been around the exterior of the house three times. Nothing out of the ordinary"

Static was heard followed by a command, "Okay come on back, he must be seeing things then" He recognized the voice. It belonged to the one who fired him. He would have to take care of that guy too. While he was at it, why not rid the world of ALL the bad guys? When the guard was gone, I came out of the shadows and once again took my watch right under my lambs window. Soon we will be reunited my young friend. Sleep well, you will need your strength...
Chapter 5 ~ Right Outside my Window by Mare
~ Right Outside my Window ~


I awoke to the sound of birds chirping. Birds chirping and Kevin snoring. I had forgotten that Kevin was in my bed with me. I even put my arm around him at one point picturing in my mind, a beautiful brunette I must have acquired during the night. His hairy legs made me quickly realize how wrong I was. I rolled over then and spent the remainder of the night sleeping in a little corner of my bed. Hoping to God that Kevin didn't make the same mistake that I almost did.

At least I slept though. I awoke actually refreshed. I sat up and stretched making the bed shake a little. Kevin grumbled something and then pulled the covers over his head. I decided to get up and make my way downstairs.

Howie was up and sitting in my living room, watching CNN and drinking a cup of coffee. He used to be the last one of us to get up, well besides me, but now, he seemed to be an early riser. He smiled at me, "Hey Nicky. How did you sleep?"

"Great!" I answered, hopping on the couch next to him. For some reason, I was in a very good mood. Could be because I actually had at least 6 hours of sleep. Whatever the reason, it was a rarity these days, so I enjoyed it.

"So, Did Kevin sleep with you?"

"Yes"

"On the floor?"

"No! On my bed with ME!" Howie laughed. We used to have to share beds very early on in our career and he had spent many a night with the oldest Backstreet Boy. "You hungry?" He asked, standing up and walking towards my kitchen.

"A little I said following him in, "Why? Are you going to cook for me or something?" I asked half joking but when he took out the eggs I laughed. "D, you are going to cook for me?"

"No, actually I am going to cook for ME, but since you are hungry I'll make you some too" I nodded. I picked up the paper that Howie was reading to see Trish on the front cover. She was in her orange jumper handcuffed and being escorted by two policemen.

Serial Muderer/Kidnapper Brought In for Questioning

"Questioning?" I asked. Howie looked up from his cracked eggs frowning, "Oh yeah, I should have told you not to look at that. Sorry"

"Howie, you can't prevent me from seeing her all the time"

"I know, but when I can, I would like to"

"What are they questioning her about now?"

"I don't know. I didn't read the article. You shouldn't either" I held the paper in my hands wondering if maybe I should just skim the article but then, I thought better of it and placed it face down on the table.

"Hey AJ and Brian are coming into town tonight" Howie said hoping to change the subject from Trish.

"Really? Awesome! I thought they had forgotten about me"

"You aren't the easiest guy in the world to forget you know" I rolled my eyes at him while he continued to scramble his eggs.
_______________________________________________
Trish woke up in a very good mood as well. She felt refreshed and actually hummed a song while she brushed her hair. Was it a Backstreet Boys song? She couldn't even remember. She looked in her small and murky mirror sitting right above her toilet. She was looking pretty ragged these days. Her hair greasy and tangled. Also a bit longer than she liked. She took a seat on her cot continuing to brush her hair. She was getting used to being caged. Like an animal. At least her victims had more room. Never looked or felt like a prison for them. But that was okay. She could live with that, she could deal with the horrid meals and the occasional beatings. She could deal with it now because she knew her brother was alive.

She was hurt beyond belief at the thought that her baby brother could have died in a fire. Being killed by her Nick. When she heard Nick testify on the stand what he had done to her brother she cried out in shock. How could he do something like that? To his family? We loved that boy and he repays us by killing Joe? Made no sense. Her life stopped making sense at that point. She just wanted to die. Maybe soon she would actually get her wish. Death didn't scare her much. She was used to seeing it as it slowly crept into the eyes of her brother's victims. As they drew their last breath she would always ask what it looked like on the other side. They never answered her. Not once.

Late at night in the comfort of her small cell, she would lie in bed, hands crossed on her stomach, perfectly still. Wondering if this is what eternity would look like from someone else's eyes. Her cot was coffin sized. What an ironic joke played on the people who occupied this place. She allowed her thoughts to stray back to Joe.

Alive. He was alive.

She knew that if he actually did survive that fire he would get a message to her in some way. It had been a long time though, and she found herself losing faith.

"Faith" She said out loud. That was a word that should have defined her. Her family died for their faith. Now she would too.

All faith was lost until the police came with questions. That changed everything. A boy had been killed they said. He was strangled and left on a beach. Trish seemed disinterested at first, her ears perking up at the mention of the location of the beach. When she found out this kid was killed less than a mile from Nick's house she figured maybe it was a sign from Joe. Back from the dead. They had asked her then, tons of questions about her brother and what he looked for when deciding on a victim. She found herself smiling through most of the interrogation. He was alive and THEY knew it.

She played dumb. They grew angry, but that is what she was hoping would happen. Angry people say too much. It worked, because in the middle of one of the officer's tirades, he blurted out a Bible verse. One that was scribbled on the kid's chest. He has been raised from the dead and goes ahead of you to Galilee, where you will see him. That was Joe. There was no doubt in her mind. He was alive and coming to save her. But first he would come for Nick.

She smiled again as she continued to brush her hair and hum a song..
__________________________________________________-
After breakfast Howie and I wandered into the living room once again to watch some television. Loud footsteps from up above signaled, Kevin's waking. That and the usual morning groaning. He was so whiny in the morning. It was kind of funny. I had the reputation for being a whiner, but Kevin was the whining king. Backstreet Boys secret revealed. Kevin came grumbling down the stairs and managed a hello in the middle of a yawn. We both returned the greeting and just kept up chatting. The doorbell ringing made all three of us jump. Then Kevin, who happened to be closest to the door, decided to go over and open it.

I could tell it was bad news just by the way Kevin's body language shifted from sleepy to wide awake. I took a deep breath and prepared for the worst. He led two police officers into the house and they took a seat right across from Howie and I.

"Hi, what's up?" Was the only greeting I could think of. It sounded corny but I didn't want to sound as anxious as I felt.

"Mr. Carter, I wanted you to know that we are posting two undercover police officers outside your house. They will be out of the way but better to be safe"

"Why does he need to be safe?" Kevin asked in a maternal way.

"Well, with all of the events going on with your assailant, we just don't want anything to happen that's all"

"That seems a bit extreme" I countered.

"Yeah, what's the real deal?" Howie asked.

"I'm afraid that's all I can tell you for now. There's no real danger, we just want to make sure that's all" The three of us just kind of looked at each other with questioning glances. There was MORE to the story. There's always more to the story.

"It's has something to do with Trish in the paper doesn't it?" I asked no one in particular.

"Trish was in the paper again?" Kevin asked searching the room or the paper.

"Yes, she was brought in for questioning"

"For what?"

"We don't know" Howie interrupted. "I didn't read the article and I wouldn't let him read it either" Kevin just nodded.

"It's no big deal, really. If it is, We would give you more information" The officer assured me. I shrugged.

After they left, The three of us sat around the house just silently wondering what was going on. I wondered what they thought it was, I knew. I knew it had to do with Joe. It always did. He was dead though. He had to be.

"I'm going to take my dogs out for a walk" I said standing up and stretching. Of course they followed my lead. I rolled my eyes. But I let them follow. We weren't allowed to really go too far and just like the police said, there were two guys sitting in a car right at the end of my driveway. It should have made me feel safe but it didn't.

We walked around the perimeter of my house talking about the old times and how we used to like to try to ditch security. We had made a little game of it. Let's see who could lose their bodyguard the fastest. Brian seemed to win all the time. Not me though.

I shuddered. Joe would never let me out of his site.

Pancake, my newest dog, started for the flowers planted right under my living room window. She tugged me so hard I fell into the flower patch. Kevin and Howie laughed. I sat there shaking the dirt off of myself when I saw it.

A small piece of paper, partly exposed from the dirt. I thought it was trash so I pulled it out of the ground and stuck it in my pocket. I didn't even look at it. How could I not look at it? I then stood up and walked around to the back of the house. We talked and laughed the whole way. Trying to forget about the undercover policemen sitting and keeping watch in my driveway. They were playing cards in the front seat. At least that was what they were doing the last time they were seen alive...
Chapter 6 ~ Memories...like the corners of my mind by Mare
~ Memories...like the corners of my mind ~


I sat by the window, just watching the cop car. Why were they there? I fiddled with the piece of paper that I had placed in my pocket as I asked that question. I felt cold suddenly, as old memories of my living nightmare entered my mind. Memories of waking up in that basement for the first time after my capture. Feeling so lost and isolated hoping it was all just a big prank. The guys getting me back for years and years of countless pranks pulled on them. But that is when I remember turning to see my bodyguard, who I trusted with my life, standing behind me in my bedroom. He grabbed me and plummeted me into darkness. A darkness I am still trying to get away from now.

I pulled a blanket around me and turned away from the window, "So, when are AJ and Brian coming?" I asked both of my bandmates who were watching me. I have become a high form of entertainment these days. "Tomorrow" Howie answered. I nodded.

"Why do you think they are here?" I asked again looking out the window. "I mean I know what THEY said, but I don't buy it"

"Not sure Kaos, my guess is that they might be afraid of that maniac who killed that boy coming up this way"

"I'm tired of maniacs" I said my eyes never leaving that cop car. I felt a strong hand on my shoulder, "I know buddy. Me too" Kevin said as he peered out the window over my shoulder.

The men in the car saw us watching them so they waved. We waved back and decided to close the curtain. "Maybe we should go away. How about the Bahamas or something. It would be nice to go there and work on the album you know like we did before"

"It's not that easy this time Nicky" Howie said in a soft pitying voice. "You have to make an appearance in court" I looked down at the floor, "I know" I sad sounding dejected.

"You want to talk about it Nick? You can't keep everything inside forever. It's not healthy"

"Kevin, it's not that easy. I don't want to go back there again. Why does everyone want me to go back there again?" I stood up knocking my blanket to the floor and ran upstairs. I felt their eyes follow my every move. I felt bad about having a tantrum but they just didn't understand. No one did.

I slammed the door to my room. This is where it all happened. The night my life changed forever. He had gotten in here so easily. I was so dumb to trust him. I will never trust anyone again, not fully. I sat on my bed, remembering that note that said Surprise look behind you. I put my hands to my face, slid off of my bed and began to cry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I looked towards the stairs wanting to run up after him but Kevin's hand on my shoulder told me maybe he just needs some alone time. "He has been through so much Kev"

"I know Howie. I know" Kevin walked over to the window once again, "Having them here isn't helping matters any either"

"I know. Kevin, why do YOU think they are here? You don't think there is a copycat out there do you?" Kevin looked back my way, "I hope not"

"I don't know what to do to help the kid. I wish Brian and AJ would get here soon" Kevin didn't like feeling helpless but that is exactly what he was. Helpless.

I sat back down on the sofa, flipping through the newspaper. The one where Trish was being brought in for questioning. I made sure I kept Nick away from all that stuff but really I was just as afraid as him. Both Trish and Joe scared me to death. The thought that we had two serial killers working for us, always so close to us and our young fans, sent chills down my spine. At anytime they could've hurt someone. Broken their necks or strangled them or hell even raped them. I usually wouldn't allow my mind to go down that road, but I found myself frequently stopping there anyway. Did Trish OR Joe rape Nick? What did they do to the kid? I know we all tend to think the absolute worst and so many times, I came so close to asking him, but how do you ask somebody something like that?

I decided to open the paper and read the article. Maybe it would explain why there were suddenly police in Nick's driveway. I got two sentences in when the doorbell rang once again. Kevin was up and getting the door and to our pleasant surprise it was Brian and AJ, both here a day early. They came in a hugged Kevin then came for me. I exchanged friendly hugs with them. "So what are you guys doing here? We weren't expecting you for another day" I said. Kevin nodded.

"Trish" Is all Brian said.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't hear?"

"Hear what?"

"They brought Trish in for questioning"

I held up the paper. "Yeah we know but for what?" Both AJ and Brian looked at each other. I recognized the look. I didn't like it at all.

"You didn't read that article did you?" AJ asked eyeing the paper. I shook my head.

"Just tell us" Kevin said in his stern and impatient voice.

"They think well..how do I say this?..They think Joe was responsible for that boy being killed"

"But that's impossible Brian he is dead, I mean we both saw him! He never got out of that house!"

"I know that but they never found a body. At least that is what CNN reported. Anyway after seeing that, I thought we should get here early. We figured reporters would be everywhere but I didn't see a single one"

"No, we have some extra security they are keeping everyone away"

"Where's Nick?" Brian asked in a sudden panic.

"Relax Bri, he is upstairs in his room" Brian nodded his head and loosened up again until he heard Nick's shrill scream echo through the house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I pulled myself up off the floor and wiped my tears away. I was tired of feeling like a victim. I sat there between my bed and my dresser just trying to calm myself down. I didn't want to go back to court. I didn't want to have to see HER again. I thought that when I testified at her trial that would be the last time I would ever have to see her. Now it would happen all over again. Me basically explaining to the courts why she deserved to die, or live. While she watched me. Stared me down with a huge smile on her face. The kind of smile that said, even after I am dead Nick, I will NEVER leave you alone!

And did I want her to die? I mean she was evil, but the true villain was already dead. She was just his helper. Could I actually say to someone, this woman needs to die? Wouldn't that make me as bad as they were? Especially since I think that is what she wants. To die. It's all too much to think about. I don't want to think about it anymore.

That's exactly what she wants though. She wants me to think about her all the time. Day and night. She probably sleeps like a baby in that prison while I can barely rest my head on my pillow without hyperventilating. I hated her, but did I want her to die? I decided to get up off the floor and grab some aspirin from my medicine cabinet. The little crying fit gave me a pounding headache. I walked into my bathroom and opened the little cabinet over my sink. I grabbed the bottle and took out three pills. Popping them in my mouth I took a drink right from the faucet. When I lifted my head and looked beyond my own reflection in the mirror I could swear I saw a shadow walk past the door.

My eyes bulged and my heart began to pound. As beads of sweat ran down my face. Someone was in the room with me, just like that night. Waiting for me. Ready to attack. Should I scream? Should I run? Or maybe I should just run to the door and lock it. Maybe it was just my imagination. I saw shadows a lot lately. I grabbed the knife I always kept in my bathroom, ever since coming back from my prison. If someone was going to try to get me this time, they would be in for a fight. I grabbed the knife and made my way out into my bedroom.

Light spilled out from my windows eluminating the room in a cascade of shadows. There was no one there. I was alone. I sat on my bed, letting out a sigh of relief. Still holding the knife in my hand. Just in case. You always had to be prepared for a just in case. I reached into my pocket to pull out a tissue to blow my nose and once again that stupid piece of paper fell out and onto the floor. I would have just ignored it if not for one word that stuck out like a neon sign. I started to hyperventilate as I saw it. Mizpah.

I bent down and slowly picked it up and began to shake as I read it out loud
"My Dearest Nick, Mizpah Joe" I dropped it back down to the floor and screamed...
Chapter 7 ~ Psalm 31 by Mare
~ Psalm 31 ~


When the guys came running up, I had managed to gain control of my emotions, just barely. Kevin bolted through the door first. Running at full steam ahead. When he saw me just sitting on the floor he stopped dead in his tracks.

"What the hell is wrong?" He asked sounding more angry than concerned. I knew him better than that. I knew those words were filled with concern. I handed him the little sheet of paper. He looked at it, then looked at me.

"Where did you get this?"

"It was outside"

"When?" He quickly ran to the window. By now the other guys were all standing around my room. Not saying anything just watching.

"When we went for a walk with Pancake. I found it buried in the dirt"

"Why didn't you show it to me then?" He was yelling.

"Kevin relax!" Brian said, making his presence known. I hadn't even realized that he was there. I looked over at him and smiled, then I also smiled at AJ.

"When did you guys get here?"

"A couple minutes ago" AJ said now going over to Kevin and grabbing the note from his hands.

"Oh, I didn't hear you come in"

"Yeah, that's because you were to busy screaming" AJ just had to crack a joke, although the look on his face after reading the note was far from amused.

"This is old right?" AJ asked no one in particular.

"Of course it's old! This guy is dead!" Now Howie and Brian moved closer to see what exactly had us all riled up.

"Oh my God" Howie whispered when he read the note. That really wasn't the reaction I was hoping for. I was hoping that he wouldn't look worried. Because if D thought it was nothing then it would be nothing.

"Guys! This is ridiculous. Come on Joe is dead. I bet somebody just wanted to play a mean joke on you Nick" Brian said sounding like the voice of reason.

"It looks like his handwriting" I whispered. I found myself rubbing my arms to keep them warm. I felt a chill run through my whole body.

"No, Brian's right. I mean with Trish in the news, I bet this is some sicko's idea of a practical joke. Nothing more" Kevin said sounding stern. I knew he wasn't believing himself.

"But..maybe he isn't dead" I visibly shuddered, which I'm sure didn't help the already mounting tension in the room.

"He is dead Nick. Don't be paranoid" That did it. I stood up and looked at AJ.

"Paranoid? Excuse me, you have NO idea what it was like for me! No clue... so don't tell me not to be paranoid!" My words bit into AJ making him feel helpless. Paranoid. Yeah let's see him live through the hell I went through and NOT be paranoid. Even if I saw that Joe was dead. Even if I was the one to bury him myself, in my head he would always be lurking right around the corner. Paranoid!

"Okay sorry. Why don't we bring it down to the police" AJ suggested to Kevin who was still looking out the window. I have a feeling Kevin didn't think Joe was dead either. There was no way I was going to ask him though. Ignorance is bliss.

"Yeah that is a good idea" Kevin said slowly turning and taking the note out of AJ's hand. He ventured out of the room and down the steps. I watched out the window as he ran to the car sitting at the end of the driveway and knocked on the car window. He handed the guys the note and that was quickly followed by them getting out of the car and scanning the house.

"I'm sorry about calling you paranoid" AJ said placing his arm around my shoulder. I jumped at first but then quickly relaxed.

"That's okay"

"No, it's not. I remember in therapy she told us never to say that. I'm really sorry"

Therapy. How odd it was to go to therapy with the guys. It was like couples therapy with five instead of two. After this whole thing, I had my own therapy. Of course I did, but my therapist also recommended group therapy because it was such a traumatic event. We all had to learn to deal with it, for me of course it was the worst but all of us were victimized. It was hard for me to think about them being victims. My family and the guys didn't have to go through what I went through but still, they did go through a lot. I remember that one therapy session where AJ had mentioned I was just a little paranoid sometimes. She had gone on about how bad that word could be for a victim like myself.

I hated being a victim but now I was forever branded as one.

"That's okay AJ. It's no big deal. I hope I am just being paranoid"

"Me too buddy. Me too"

The rest of us finally decided to make our way to the living room. Kevin was already down there nervously flipping through a magazine.

"Well, what did the police say?" Brian asked, taking a seat next to him.

"They said they will check it out" Then he looked over at me, "You okay buddy?" I nodded.

"It will be nothing Nick. It's just a prank" Howie reassured me. I smiled, but inside I knew. I just had a feeling that things were going to get bad.
________________________________
As Trish was led down to the visitors room she rolled her eyes. She was tired of going over her testimony with her lawyer. Her penalty phase would soon start and her lawyer wanted her to take the stand and plead for her life. They had rehearsed and rehearsed what she would say right down to the tears falling from her eyes. She was growing tired of the routine. But as she was led closer to the booth, she noticed a different person there. A man she had never seen before. She took a seat across from the guy and looked at him suspiciously.

He was in his mid thirties and was very skinny. He was wearing a big brown overcoat that seemed two sizes too big for him. He sat across from Trish and smiled. Several of his teeth were missing.

"I have a message for you" He finally said. Trish moved in closer. She really examined him now. He seemed nervous. He was fidgeting in his chair.

"What is it?" She asked him.

He looked over at her and then down at his lap. With shaky hands he took a piece of paper from his lap and held it up to his eyes. Squinting, he attempted to read, "In you oh Lord I take refuge. In your justice rescue me and make haste to deliver me" He gulped. Then continued, "You will free me from the snare they set for me. Not shutting me up in the grip of the enemy, but enabling me to move about at large" He stopped for a minute and looked at Trish who seemed to be consumed in the words that were being spoken to her.

"Do you understand what this means?" The man asked. She smiled and nodded.

"Okay good, then I'll continue, For all my foes I am an object of reproach, a laughingstock and a dread to my friends. They who see me, flee. I am forgotten like the unremembered dead" Trish actually giggled, causing the man to look up once more. "I hear the whispers of the crowd as they plot to take my life" He stopped once again. Now looking at the guards.

Trish grew concerned, "What is the matter?" She asked him.

"He told me to make sure no one heard me say this part" Trish nodded.

Confident that no one was really listening, he continued, "Rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and persecutors"

Now Trish was excited. If she could have, she would have broken through the glass separating this stranger from her and kissed him.

The man appeared to be finished, looking at the back of the paper but not seeing anything else. "That seems to be all" He said. Then he let out a hacking cough.

"Oh my goodness, you sound awful"

"Yeah, I have an awful cold"

"Sorry to hear that. So do you mind me asking who gave you this?" Once again the man looked around, then in a whisper he said, "Someone who loves you. He was kind enough to give me $100 if I delivered this. He also gave me this coat off of his back. I don't have much"

"Oh I see"

"Yes, it's been hard living out on the streets. I am not a bum, just homeless, but thanks to this man, maybe I can get on track" She smiled at his innocence. Like a hundred bucks would get him back on track. Like he would live long enough to enjoy it even.

"Well thank you for cheering me up"

"It's no problem. I hear you are in a bit of trouble" Once again Trish laughed, "Yes, you could say that"

"Well, I certainly hope things look up for you" He said getting up to leave.

"They already are" She answered. The guard seeing the man leaving got up to escort Trish back to her cell. "Hey Mister?" The skinny man with the big overcoat turned around, "Yes?"

"Do you believe in God? Do accept him as your savior?"

The man thought about it for a minute and then nodded. "Yes, I guess I do"

"Good. Then peace be with you sir"

He thought it was an odd thing to say but just chalked it up to stress.

Trish however knew exactly what she was talking about. She felt bad that he would be sacrificed but it was all part of God's plan. And now she knew that without a doubt Joe was coming to rescue her. The man didn't read the whole thing for her, Joe probably figured she would recognize it as the 31st Psalm. The prayer in distress and Thanksgiving for escape. Yup he was coming...but when?
_______________________________________
We sat and had a great dinner, trying to forget about the little note I found earlier. I looked around the room at my brothers laughing and smiling. AJ talking about something that seemed so silly, yet no one really caring. It was each other's company that we were grateful for. Just like the old days.

We had sat around tables eating so many times in our tenure together, that we had taken them for granted. I know I did. Most times all I focused on was the food, not really listening or caring about what anyone was saying.

Now I did. I cared deeply. I cared so much that I wanted them to leave. If this nightmare wasn't over, did I really want them to be with me? I knew they wouldn't go anywhere though. No matter what kind of excuse I could possibly come up with, they would be here forever. Even after the Backstreet boys went away. They would remain.

"Earth to Kaos, come in Kaos" AJ said throwing a piece of bread at me.

"God AJ, don't you think you're a little too old to have food fights?" Kevin asked disgusted, yet smiling.

"You are never to old to have fun!" He said flicking some corn at Kevin. That was it, we started a huge ass food fight. It was a great release of tension.

So much fun. Being unaware of anyone watching us. But we WERE being watched...
_____________________________________________
"They seem to be having some fun" The skinny man said as he watched the screen of the boys eating at the dinner table.

"Yes, they certainly are. Would you like some more soup?" Joe asked the man. He smiled and wiped away a tear, "Sir you have been so kind to me, how can I ever repay you? You are an angel from God" Joe smiled. If he only knew how right he was. He wanted to admit right there that he WAS God but thought better of it.

"It's the least I could do" He said handing the man another bowl of soup.

"Aren't you going to eat any?" The man asked, "No that is okay. This cup is for you not for me" The man looked confused but then shrugged and just kept eating.

"Is there anything I can do for you? To pay you back?"

Joe was watching the screen intently laughing when Nick laughed, and mimicking every move the pop star made. Right down to wiping off imaginary food from his face.

"Actually you are going to do one more thing for me"

The man looked up from his soup, "Okay you got it"

Joe took another piece of paper and placed in the pocket of the man's coat. "You are going to deliver this note for me"

The man nodded, "Sure thing, where to?"

"Nowhere, I'm afraid they'll find it in your jacket"

"Who will?"

"The police"

"Mister, I'm sorry if you want your jacket back I promise I ain't stealing from you"

"Oh calm down I know that" The man calmed down but had a brand new look of panic in his eyes. He dropped his spoon and gripped his chest.

"I c-c-cant breathe" The man huffed out in huge gulps. Joe took a sip of his iced tea and walked over to the man once again, "I know... you are dying"

"W-w-w-h-a" He couldn't finish his word. Joe walked over and pat the man on his head.

"It's okay my son, soon it will be over and you can delight in knowing you have done God's work. You have taken the cup away from me and drank of it's poison"

The man was only gasping now. His eyes bulging, as tears pooled ready to spill out. "You know Psalm 31 was always one of my personal favorites. It has one of the best lines ever. Father into your hands I commend my spirit. I commend your spirit" He said to the man who was now only twitching.

When the twitching stopped, Joe walked over and took his one hundred dollar bill back. Then he looked back at the monitor were Nick and the boys were still having their little food fight. He went over and placed his hand on the screen and started to smooth the hair away from Nick's eyes. Soon. I'm coming for you soon.

He grabbed the dead skinny man and threw him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and smiled. His plan was coming along nicely...
Chapter 8 ~ Band of Brothers by Mare
~ Band of Brothers ~


It was nice having all my brothers here. Brothers, I sometimes felt weird using that in context talking about my band. It seemed so cliche. I mean we were a boyband. Each fitting into a stereotype, of course calling ourselves brothers seemed to be just a part of that facade. Many people often speculated if we even liked each other. At one point I even had to wonder, but in all honesty, these guys were my brothers. See, when I think of brother, to me it means someone who will stick by you through it all. All the great things that happen in your life as well as all the crap.

I have to admit I had some moments in our time together, when I would sit back and see them come together for each other but not for me, but now after all that has happened, I see a clearer picture. No matter what press, critics or rabid fans say, these guys ARE my blood. I would do anything for them. So when the second body in one week, showed up on the beach right outside of my house, My thoughts went directly to getting them the hell out of here. Getting them the hell away from me.

Kevin was the one that came running in from my back yard. The look he had on his face made us all stop our silly conversation and look his way.

"What's wrong?" Howie asked, with just a hint of alarm in his voice as he looked my way.

"There are police on the beach again. It looks like they closed off a section and are hanging up that yellow tape stuff"

We all moved outside to see for ourselves. You know just incase he was lying.

I shuddered as I saw police loading a bodybag into a van. "It's happening again" I said in a whisper. More to the water than to my friends.

"Come on, let's go back inside" AJ said putting a friendly arm on my back and guiding me back into my house. I saw Brian and Kevin pause and give each other a look, they thought it was happening again too.

"I wouldn't worry about it Nicky, it's just a macabre coincidence"

"Do you really think that is a coincidence Howie?"

"Yes..but still maybe we should call security again" I nodded even though I was only half listening to what Howie was saying. Dead. Why did it seem like death was following me?

Brian seeing my contemplative look, came over to me "You are safe. We have the best of the best around us Nick. Nothing is going to happen"

Howie got off the phone with Dave, our head of security and gave me a wink. "He is coming right over"

"Excellent" AJ added. I looked up into one of my many security cameras just to make sure it was on and working. Seeing the red light I relaxed.

When Kevin insisted I invest all this money on a high tech security system, I looked at him like he was nuts. That would just be letting the bad guys win! I had protested. Now I was grateful for his nagging. The phone ringing made me wince for some reason.

"Nick" I looked over to Howie, he looked somber.

"Yeah?"

"That was the D.A, he wants to come over and go through your testimony at some point today.

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him to call back later, but there's one other thing"

"What?"

"He said that Trish has requested a visit from you" I looked over at Howie in shock.

"What did you say?" He came over and sat right next to me, all my brother's watching our every move, "Trish's attorney said that she really wants to speak to you"

"Is she allowed to?"

"The District Attorney said not really, but they can get around it legally"

"I don't want to see her" I said looking down at the floor.

"I know that, I told the D.A that and he is going to give the message to Trish's lawyer, don't worry Nicky. You won't have to see her ever again"

"She'll be staring at me in court"

"Besides that. It's almost over"

It's almost over...Now there was another phrase I was growing tired of, besides the don't worry your safe line. It's almost over is said in this house at least a thousand times a day. Every time it's uttered I want to grab the person who says it by the collar and just let go of all my anger on them. It's almost over..sure it is. I have been hearing it's almost over since I got back home.

While I was busy having an internal tirade, Dave and his team walked into my house. "Hi guys, we triple checked all the motion sensors outside and they are working. The alarms are all set and the camera's are on. Everything will be fine. Basically you would have to be an invisible man to get in here" He laughed but none of us found it funny.

"Someone was just found dead on the beach" Kevin said trying to make the man aware of everyone's mood.

"Oh my God. Again?"

"Yes, so we just want to make sure that everything is extra secure"

"I can assure you it is, plus you have those two guards out front. You are safe"

"And let me guess. It's almost over right?" I said sounding more sarcastic than I would have liked. Dave looked surprised by my immature reaction. I decided to leave the room and run upstairs. I just wanted to lock everyone out. I went over to my window again and watched as crime scene investigators were scouring the beach. Looking for clues. I knew they wouldn't find any. He is always careful about things like that.

"Can I come in?" I looked over to find Brian peering in my door.

"Yeah I guess" He came over and took a seat next to me, "Nick.."

"Bri, whatever you do don't tell me I'm safe" That pretty much shut him up.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Anything at all Nick"

"If I wasn't...you know.."

"Kidnapped?" I still had trouble saying it for some reason. It just made me feel like a victim. It made me feel small.

"Yeah, if that didn't happen...do you think we would all be as close as we are now?" His silence let me know he was thinking about his answer. I already knew what it was though.

"No, I don't think so. We were all starting to go in different directions. I think we would have ended up splitting if you want my honest opinion"

"What about friendship wise?" Now I decided to face him.

"I don't know Nick, why are you bringing it all up?"

"Not sure"

"I know that whatever WOULD have happened went away when our lives were changed. Now things are the way they are for a reason"

"Okay"

Brian seeing my sullen mood, decided to change the subject, that was another thing that happened frequently in my house. The changing of subject. Brian was the king of that one. "Are you up for some basketball? I haven't beaten you in a while" I smiled.

"Sure" I stood up and followed Brian out of the room. Double checking my security camera right over my bed. Red light on meant no worries.

In the middle of our game of basketball we were interrupted by police. We went in and braced ourselves for the news. At the kitchen table were Dave, three security guys plus two officers. All looking like they had bad news. Kevin, Howie and AJ were also in the room standing around the table.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Mr. Carter, please take a seat" Now that's usually not a good sign.

"I'll stand thank you, what can I do for you?"

"We have reason to believe that you may be in danger" My heart stopped. I felt it stop. It felt like a mini heart attack. Kevin rushed over to me, maybe I looked like I was going to pass out. "Why?" I asked once Kevin had a grip on me. I decided to sit afterall.

"There was a man found dead on the beach"

"Yes I know"

"And we now have reason to believe that he is tied with the boy we found earlier this week"

"Why do you think that?"

"I can't tell you that but We are beefing up your security" I closed my eyes, hoping this bad dream would go away.

"Why do you think he is in danger?" Kevin asked.

"That is confidential I'm afraid but based on evidence found on the victim, we have reason to believe Nick is in danger"

"You know that's bullshit!" AJ said out of frustration, "How the hell can you come out here and scare the kid like that with NO explanation?" He said I was scared but I could clearly tell it was him. He was terrified.

"I am sorry but I have to be vague"

"Vague my ass!"

"AJ!" Kevin scolded.

"Don't worry Mr. Carter, you are in good hands. You will be safe" I laughed.

After the police left, and security filed out, I was quiet. I guess too quiet for the guys. They were all staring at me, it made me uncomfortable. "Are you okay?" Howie asked. I nodded.

"What can we do for you?" Kevin asked.

"Nothing"

"Come on there has to be something"

"You can give me some breathing room maybe?" I did it again, I exploded.

"Christ, I'm sorry"

"I am just tired of you guys following me around and telling me everything will be fine. It's not so don't say that it will" They looked at one another. More uncomfortable silence. I was just waiting for Brian to change the subject...and viola `

"Well, I am about starved, how about you guys?" I let out a sigh as did everyone else. Grateful that we could now talk about food and forget all that had happened. Simple as that.

I love these guys. I smiled and looking up at the security cameras I tried to feel safe. Someone was watching us. We had police in the front yard, security walking around and someone monitering the cameras. Safe...
Chapter 9 ~ KAOS 1980 by Mare
~ KAOS 1980 ~


The district attorney came over the following morning. I barely slept at all the night before. I had things on my mind. Charlie, the D.A smartened up and didn't even ask if he could come over this time around. Just called and said he would be over within the hour. So I got up, took a quick shower and sat in my kitchen waiting for his arrival.

The two officers out front had switched shifts and were now a man and a woman. I waved at them from my window and they waved back. I grabbed some coffee and waited for Charlie's arrival. The whole house was quiet. Everyone asleep. It was my favorite time of day, the only time I ever had to myself. I used to be a late riser but now I get up almost at the butt crack of dawn. Odd, but there is something eerily calming about getting up super early.

Charlie got here to the house at around 10:15, by then Brian was up and just staring at the two of us as we went over our testimony.

"So tell me again Nick, was she ever sorry she did this to you?"

"I think she was"

He stopped and gave me a stern look. "No! Nick this woman kidnapped you, took away your freedom and killed a ton of people, now did she have remorse? Did you ever hear her say she was sorry?"

"No. I guess not"

"Good. Don't worry and just tell the truth"

"The honest truth is that I could tell she was sorry in the way she looked down at the ground when talking to me. She felt like she was caught between and a rock and a hard place"

"Nick, many people feel that way, but they don't go around killing other people because of it"

"I guess"

"She is a bad woman who deserves what she has coming to her. And you could help that to happen. Think of those victims, the ones who weren't lucky enough to escape like you did. Think of their families" I didn't like Charlie. He was out for blood.

My theory is, enough blood has been shed why make it one more? I didn't feel comfortable asking for the maximum sentence where Trish was concerned. I know she killed so many people, but it wasn't her, Trish could never do that. She was being judged on her brother's crimes.

"Nick are you even listening to me? If you zone out like that on the stand, her lawyer will tear you apart" I looked over to Charlie, if he was talking before I wasn't even aware.

"Sorry"

"Don't be sorry just listen. Okay?" I nodded. Brian was shifting uncomfortably on his chair. He didn't like Charlie either. I don't think any of us really did.

"So when you take that stand Nick, I want you to be honest and look right at the jury. It brings the point home"

"I know, you told me that the last time"

"And it worked didn't it? You will be called in a few days. Do you think you will be ready?"

"Is there ever a time to feel ready to condemn someone to die?" I know he would answer yes.

"I need to go, but oh I forgot to tell you, maybe this will make you rethink your stance, Trish's lawyer has asked once again for you to see Trish. I told him no way in hell was that happening until after you testify but after that happens, you will pretty much be free to see her of you like. I can't legally stop you"

"I don't want to see her"

"Then don't let her live" With those biting words he left.

"I really hate him" Brian muttered as soon as Charlie was out the door. "Are you okay? I know that was rough"

"It's only gonna get worse when I actually have to do it in court. Brian, I don't think I want her to die"

"I do, she deserves it. I would kill her myself if I had the opportunity" I was shocked by Brian's words. Did Joe and Trish manage to change him that much?

"I wonder why she wants to see me?" I could tell he was getting irritated that I wasn't as angry with her as he was.

"She probably wants to play mind games with you or something"

"Yeah, you are probably right"

"Don't go see her Nick. It will do you NO good" A sleepy Kevin and a wide awake David happily made us drop that conversation, although I'm sure if given the opportunity, Brian would have just changed the subject.

"Good morning!" Dave said very happy and chipper. We all grunted a hello back to him.

"I just wanted to drop by and let you know I changed you security codes. I figured you would rather have a different set of codes to ease your mind" He was right, that did ease my mind. He handed me the codes and I put them in my pocket without looking.

"Everything okay so far today?"

"Yeah but that stupid ass Charlie was here grilling Nick"

"Oh, is that why you look so flustered kid?" I nodded at David but I think I always looked flustered nowadays. Sad as that sounds.

"Trish is still wanting to see him" Brian said to Kevin as he poured himself a glass of orange juice.

"Well, that's not going to happen" He said. I had to smile. Kevin would always be in father/protector mode for me, until the day I die.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Joe watched as the district attorney went over Nick's testimony as if he was watching Saturday morning cartoons. He found himself laughing when the lawyer went on and on about how justice needs to be served. He drank the milk from his bowl of cereal and burped at the screen. He couldn't wait to get his hands on that stupid ass lawyer. The one who was trying to have his sister killed. "Maybe we'll have a little trial of our own with you. What do you say to that Nicky boy?"

What he enjoyed even more than the endless blabbering of the stupid attorney, was Nick's facial expressions. The way he stuck up for Trish. It's like the boy realized that he was meant to be sacrificed. Maybe he even felt bad for getting away. He had only wished that when the police came to visit yesterday, that they would have told Nick what exactly they had found in that poor unfortunate man's pocket. That will be something that will come out after Nick disappears. They will ask the police why they didn't give him more information. Ah well. Too bad for them.

Joe was still hungry so he searched his little cabinets for something else to eat. Was it hunger or maybe just an emptiness? He wasn't sure. His family would be together soon enough again. He grabbed some crackers and ate them, ignoring the crumbs gathering on his shirt.

"I would kill her myself if I had the opportunity" He especially got a kick out of that coming from someone as spineless as Brian. Although the kid did go into a burning house to find his friend. Gotta admire that. Wonder if he would be willing to give his life for his little friend. He wondered if they all would.

A knock on his door made him drop his remaining crackers and lift up his gun. He stood behind the door, cautiously. Ready to kill anyone who found him there.

"Let me in" At the sound of the familiar voice, Joe relaxed.

"You are late my friend"

"Sorry, I couldn't risk being followed" Joe eyed the man suspiciously. "Do you have what I need?"

The man scrambled through his pockets, searching. You could tell he was nervous. And he had every right to be, he was standing in the presence of a madman. He relaxed a little when he found what he was looking for. He took out the paper and handed it to Joe. Joe looked at it curiously and smiled. "KAOS1980?"

"Yup"

"That almost seems to easy"

"I know, but I figured I had to make it something the kid would remember"

"So, all I have to do is type this into the computer and.."

David finished the sentence for him "And you will gain complete access to his house. That code will wipe out pretty much everything, but be careful the motion sensors might still trigger" Joe held the paper in his hand with the gentleness of carrying a newborn baby.

"So, Joe...um..now I have helped you out" Joe just wanted the guy to leave, he had more important things to worry about now.

"Yes you did and my humble Father thanks you for doing his work"

"I feel bad.."

"Don't feel bad brother David, you did the right thing" David hesitantly nodded and looked at the screen. "Now you will not harm my family?"

"Your family will be safe from harm I promise" David nodded. He wished he could yell. RUN AWAY! into the screen. But he also knew that he wanted his son safe.

"You may go now, and remember David, don't go growing a conscience on me. I still know where Ian is. He is a beautiful boy" Dave did all he could not to just strangle the man. He probably could have done it and that would've been the end of that. But it was more complicated than that. It always is, so he reluctantly smiled at Joe, then turned to leave.

When David was gone, Joe picked up the crackers he let fall to the floor and continued to eat while staring at the screen. "Kaos1980" He said over and over again. While watching Nick laugh with his friends...
Chapter 10 ~ Sleepless Nights by Mare
Author's Notes:
I'll add the rest tomorrow guys :O)
~ Sleepless Nights ~


A growing uneasiness overtook me as the date of my court appearance approached. After talking with Charlie, I couldn't help but realize that my testimony could really bring that girl down. I wish there was a way I could get out of it, totally avoid seeing her there. Sitting and staring at me while I in essence told the jury, the same one that found her guilty, why she should die. Wasn't a guilty verdict enough?

I rubbed at my eyes, It was 4am and I hadn't slept at all. Not even a little nap. Whenever I closed my eyes, memories of Trish gently patting my head as I slowly woke up in my prison came back. That's how it was when I first came back to civilization. I was terrified to open my eyes, afraid of who might be staring back at me.

It was so bad that only sleeping pills would do the trick. That and someone volunteering to spend the night with me in my room. My dad had taken the first week. He never left my side. He would even sleep all day just so he could spend the night watching over me. Eventually I sent him home, saying I can handle it, I felt better now. But it was a lie.

That's when the guys came and took his place. They didn't come at first. I was afraid that maybe this thing had made them hate me. Even though they are the ones that found me in the first place. They didn't even come to my house until my second week back. Kevin said it was because I needed to be with my family. Funny but, in many ways my bandmates were more my family then my own flesh and blood.

But between my dad leaving and Kevin coming, there was a gap of one day. One day for me to roam around my huge house jumping at every sound I heard. I was never aware of how loud a house could be. The dripping of a leaky faucet sounded a lot like someone trying to jiggle a handle. The hum of my air conditioner sounding a lot like a motor of an awaiting car. Sitting in my driveway ready to take me away.

Those sounds had kept me up all night long. Just like they were doing now.

Ironically those same sounds had actually calmed me while I lived in that basement of Joe's house. The sounds of dripping water or pipes clanging had helped to remind me that I was still alive. I had no trouble sleeping at all there.

I yawned, stretched and decided maybe if I got up and watched some television it might help me to fall asleep. I walked down the steps and stopped when I saw a figure sitting on one of my chairs. My heart stopped. He was sitting there in the dark. No light, no television, nothing. Just sitting there staring at me while I descended the steps.

"What are you doing up?" I asked him putting on a light and taking a seat across from him.

"Couldn't sleep..what about you?" I sighed. It looked like Kevin had been up all night as well.

"Same"

He had been drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. I could tell he was unhappy that I had caught him in the act of being human. "Why were you just sitting here in the dark?"

"I didn't feel like putting on a light. You know your security people both are in their car sleeping" I walked over to the window and noticed that both of the guys seemed like they were asleep. "I am going to call the police and let them know" He said taking a chug of his beer.

"Kev, do you think there is anything to be worried about?" When Kevin acted like this, that meant he was worried about something. That is the only time he ever bothered to smoke.

"No Nick. You are perfectly safe"

"Then what's bothering you?"

"Why would you ask me that?" I pointed to the cigarette butt in the ash tray. He smiled.

"It's really nothing, I just had a little fight with Kristin, that's all"

"Oh, I'm sorry. You wanna talk about it bro?"

"Nah! She just misses me that's all. She wants to come up here"

"Tell her she can come if she wants. There's plenty of room"

"No, I think it's best for her to stay at home" I was afraid that was what he was going to say. He was afraid for her to come out here because he didn't think it would be safe. Simple as that.

"Maybe you're right. You know Kevin, maybe you should go back home to be with her" He laughed, "Are you trying to get rid of me or something?"

"Maybe"

"No dice kiddo. I am here for at least a week. We all are"

I moved back to my chair opposite this man I admired so much. Kevin, I owed my life to him. Kevin and Brian both. That is family to me. I was lost and they found me.

"I don't want to go to court" I whispered.

"I know you don't" He sat back in his chair and crossed his long legs.

We sat in silence for a little while. Then he said, "I am scared" I was surprised that Kevin admitted to me that he was scared.

"What are you afraid of?"

"I don't know, just things. I wrote out my will the other day"

"Kevin don't tell me that"

"Why? You should do that too. You never know Nick...you never know"

"This is NOT making me feel any better about court you know" I decided I needed to be close to him just then, so I moved from my spot across from him and sat by his side. I think he also welcomed the change. For the first time since I came down the stairs, I got a good look at my brother. He looked sad, maybe he had been crying. His eyes were just a little glassy.

"I'm sorry Nick, I didn't mean to make you even more nervous than you already are"

"That's okay. Maybe you should try to go to sleep"

"No way, not as long as those two idiots outside are asleep. You go to bed, I'll hold down the fort"

"I can't sleep Kevin, whenever I close my eyes I see..." I had to stop. I didn't like talking about things.

"See what little man? What do you see?" I just shook my head knowing if I tried to speak I just might cry. I hated what Trish and Joe did to me, what they did to Kevin, all of us. We continued to sit in silence. Wanting to say so much but yet, saying so little.

When I woke up, I was sleeping on my couch leaning on Kevin's shoulder. I don't remember falling asleep at all. Kevin was snoring next to me, he had a blanket wrapped around himself and me. We probably looked like a gay couple. Ah well. He was comfortable just the same. I sat up and stretched. The television was on and AJ was sitting there intently watching cartoons.

"Well, it's about time you woke up. Should I even ask?" He said pointing to Kevin and I sharing our blanket.

"No! It's better you don't" I moved away from Kevin and walked over to the window. Happy to see the changing of the guards had already happened. "The two policemen who were watching the house were asleep in their car last night"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I shook my head at him.

"Are you ready for court kiddo?" Howie asked walking in with a cup of coffee.

"No, but I have another day before I have to worry about that"

"True. I say we go somewhere and try to have a good time, what do you guys think?"

"Think about what D?" Brian asked trotting down the steps.

"Howie thinks we should go somewhere and have a good time today"

"That's sounds all well and good, but we DO have work to do"

"That can wait right?" Howie said kind of giving Brian a look. That is something else that has happened more than I would like. The looks. It's like they each had their own, secret "Nick" look. So when Howie gave Brian that Just say okay so we can get Nick out of here look I pretended not to notice.

"Okay, I guess I'm up for some fun today. What did you have in mind?"

"Let's go sailing!" AJ said surprisingly. He hated the water. AJ hated everything.

"You want to go sailing?" Kevin asked awake now.

"Yeah, why the hell not. Let's go sailing"

"Okay" I nodded.

Once we had our plan we got dressed and headed out to the docks to enjoy what we thought would be a stress free day.

Unaware that as we were leaving someone else was watching from a car across the street. Waiting to make his next move.
Chapter 11 ~ An ocean full of thoughts...a boatload of problems by Mare
~ An ocean full of thoughts...a boatload of problems ~


Going for a good old fashioned boat ride was the best idea that I believe AJ has EVER come up with. It felt so good just floating away from all the bad stuff. As we coasted farther and farther away from the dock, I was able to relax. It felt so good. I placed my right hand on my left shoulder and started to massage a kink out of my neck. Currently, I had so many knots on my neck that I was always in pain. Too much tension in my life the totally oblivious chiropractor had said to me. I laughed. That was probably the first time I had laughed since I had come back.

It was actually Howie's idea that I go to a chiropractor. He said it would do me good since I had been roughed up. Of course when he had said the last part he was looking down at the floor. No one made eye contact with me at first. I couldn't blame them, it probably hurt to see someone they cared for be as weak as I had become. I was sure it was because I had let them down in some way. Sometimes, I fight that feeling. But it's always there running around the back of my head. They will never look at you the same way again Kaos.

"Whatcha thinking?" AJ said coming over and sitting down next to me. He quickly grabbed his sunglasses and placed them on his eyes.

"Not much"

"Woah! That's a stretch" Then he lovingly pat the top of my head, "I'm just teasing" I laughed but my attention was quickly turned back to the waves, the calming sound they made as they crashed into the boat. The gentle rocking that followed.

"My neck hurts" I said while I continued to rub the knot away.

"If you are hinting for me to give you a massage, this is NOT your lucky day kid" I laughed. AJ always made me laugh.

That was another thing I had looked forward to, when it was his turn to keep watch over "The baby" I rolled my eyes just thinking about it now as I had back then. When I actually heard Kevin use those words. Watch the baby. Maybe it was a codename or something but it was obviously me they were talking about. I had been in the next room, still on a sleeping pill subscription when the guys figured out it was too overwhelming for me if they all came at once. I heard Kevin say "Let's take shifts, we will stay with the baby a week at a time" He had whispered the word baby. Of course he had volunteered for the first shift. Like it was some ultimate sacrifice he was making. For my part, I would have been happy if they had all just left me alone with a large attack dog.

After Kevin and Howie, would come AJ's turn. When he would show up, I would have the best time. He never treated me like a kid. Sure he calls me kid all the time and we definitely have a brotherly relationship but our relationship has always been different. And that is what I had needed. The way he coped with the whole thing was through humor. Making light of the situation. I would wake up after a terror filled dream and after he ran in to see why I was screaming bloody murder he would find a way to make it all into some funny joke. No matter how bad it was, I would look back on it and laugh. That was his hope. Mine too.

"So, you okay then?" He asked quietly. He was probably afraid Howie or Kevin would hear and then the babying would start. I nodded in reply.

"Good" With that being said he got up and walked back to the bow of the boat and laid down on a towel.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I loved what would play in my mind when my eyes were closed to a bright sun. It was never dark but always a bright red. I laid my head down on the bag I had brought and just listened to the waves. The waves and Brian and Kevin's conversation.

"We can't keep doing this" Brian whispered to his cousin. "I mean I love the hell out of Nick but we have our own lives"

"I know. After the trial we'll give him some space and maybe we'll take a break"

"Yeah, I mean Leighanne has been understanding but when I told her I was coming back we had a huge fight. It's straining our relationship"

"Yeah Kris and I too. She wanted to come here"

"Not Leigh. She is done with this whole thing. She thinks I should be too"

"Kristin cares, but.." He paused, "It's just hard"

I thought about interrupting the conversation and letting them know I heard every word, but what's the point of doing that? You know my honest opinion is that Brian would've liked nothing more than to be done with the group. I'm not sure when his attitude changed from us being family to coworkers but I remember the first time I heard him utter those words my heart sank. Then when all the Joe stuff happened, it seemed like he had been revitalized. We were once again the most important thing in his life.

Now, maybe for B-Rok things are going back to normal. Hopefully that won't mean a return to how rocky our relationship had been. He hated me. I loved him. Still do.

"How do you think the trial will turn out?"

"I don't know Kev, but he better not go and see that bitch. I will be pissed"

"Brian he won't do that"

"I don't know Kev, he seems like maybe he wants to. He's been through too much. I hope that bitch gets the death penalty"

"Me too. Do you think he will go watch the execution?"

I hadn't even thought of that. Charlie had told me that if she was sentenced to death I would be one of the people who would be asked to attend. I wouldn't have to go. I don't think I would. From the sounds of it though, I could ask Brian to take my place. How could I in good conscience go and watch someone die? Even if it is someone who would have watched ME die. It didn't seem right.

"I doubt it. I just hope her stupid attorney doesn't grill Nick like he did the last time"

"I know what you mean, but it should be different now, she is already guilty. I doubt it will be as bad"

I was hoping Kevin was right. Because I couldn't be cross examined like I was the last time. I had held my own in court back then. Refusing to make myself sound like a victim. Afterwards though, I ran to the bathroom and threw up.

"I just want this nightmare to be over with you know?"

"Me too cousin"

Me three I thought as I let the heat of the sun help me drift off to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Joe looked around the lair of his little lamb. It was so easy to get into the house. David was right. No one even checked his ID badge. All he needed to do was flash it to the two policemen guarding the house. He had made up some lame story that he was there to adjust the security system. Not even a total lie, but they didn't even ask. This whole thing had been too easy. Thanks be to God.

He ran up the stairs and looked into Nick's bedroom. He relished for a minute in the memory of the capture. The surprised horror filled look on the face of his friend when he realized that the Mizpah lady was right there in front of his face the whole time. He stared up at the security camera. "Just like now" He said. He sat on the bed remembering the sound of Brian's tear-filled voice screaming for Nick on the other end of the line. He just stood there and listened for a while before even taking his unconscious sacrifice out of the room.

He laid down on the bed and grabbed the remote. Flipping on the news. He knew he would see his sister on one of those stupid all news stations. He missed her so much. The glow of her eyes when she was happy about something. The way she always seemed to calm him down no matter how sad or angry he had become. She would be enjoying this.

He heard her name and immediately looked at the screen. There she was, looking so tired and haggard. She seemed to have aged at least five years in that prison. He would have to make it up to her when this was all over. Talk of her trial and Mr. Carter's statement and testimony played on the newscaster's lips. He would be in court tomorrow. The guy had said. Tomorrow to attempt to condemn Trish to death.

He decided he had enough of TV, he wasn't sure how long the guys would be. So he got off the bed, but not before taking some perfume out of his coat pocket and spraying Nick's pillows with it. Trish's favorite scent. A nice wake up call. Then he took a small envelope and placed that under his pillow and laughed. He took one last look at the room and walked down the steps and out the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~


By the time I had woken up from my mid-afternoon nap in the sun, I felt completely relaxed and refreshed. I sat up and stretched. The strong sun temporarily blinding me. The guys laughed at my face as I squinted to see the time on my watch.

"Someone needs to invest in a pair of sunglasses" Howie said winking at me.

"I know, I know"

"So I guess maybe it's time to head back" Kevin said hinting for me to get up and get us moving. I didn't want to though. I looked at my four friends. They were able to read my thoughts without me even having to say a word. "It will be okay Nick. We will all be there. It's almost over"

"Thanks guys for being there for me" I was getting emotional. Maybe deep down in my heart I knew something bad was going to happen. People always say after someone dies, that maybe that person sensed it was going to happen to them. There's a moment, a bonding moment, when subconsciously, the person who is about to die will realize it and say something emotional. Like a good-bye.

"I just wanted to let you guys know how much I love you all"

Maybe that was mine...
Chapter 12 ~ Sophie's Choice by Mare
~ Sophie's Choice ~


By the time we got back to shore and ate dinner, it was already very late. The butterflies in my stomach were already in overdrive. I didn't want tomorrow to come. I didn't want to see her. Not at all. I said goodnight to everyone and made my way upstairs. I knew this night would bring no sleep for me at all. I had actually contemplated asking AJ if he wanted to try to pull an all nighter with me. Like we used to back in the old days when we were too young to drink but not too young to miss it.

We would have our own stupid competition back then, see who can stay up the longest. We would play video games, cards, and just babble. AJ did most of the babbling and it was about sex of course. Until the gray of day would finally make it's appearance. Both triumphant but then regretful when we would have a full days schedule ahead. Neither of us ever really thought about that. Kevin would always get so pissed at us, but that made us want to do it even more.

"Why do you have that stupid ass grin on your face man?" I looked away from my flashback and saw Brian laughing at me.

"Huh?"

"Were you daydreaming or something?"

"I guess"

"Is something wrong Nick?"

I rolled me eyes at him. "No, nothing's wrong. I was just thinking about the all nighters AJ and I used to pull"

"Oh yeah right, I remember those"

"We would always ask you to join us but you never lasted any later than 2am, Remember?"

"That's because you guys were idiots!" He cracked himself up so I laughed too.

"Night Brian" I said smiling at him.

"Goodnight Nick, and don't worry.."

"I know..everything will be okay. It's almost over" I was getting so used to these little talks that I was able to finish them for him. He nodded and gave me a hug.

I walked into my room and instantly felt chills go up my back. I turned on the light cautiously and made my way over to the bed. My room had a sickly sweet smell to it. An unmistakable smell. Lavender and Lilacs. I closed my eyes briefly taking in a big whiff. Yup definitely Lavender and Lilacs. Trish!

I started to hyperventilate a bit. Almost running to the door and calling for help. God calm yourself down Kaos, its just a smell. Could be the cleaning ladies or one of the security guards..breathe...breathe...breathe...

I finally got control of my emotions. It was impossible for Trish to be here, she was in prison. A new wave of nerves hit me as once again, I remembered that I would be seeing her tomorrow. I decided to go over to my window and sit and keep watch. Maybe that would make me feel better. The TV was playing some generic late movie in the background.

I can't even say how long I sat by that stupid window, all I know was by the time I actually got up and stretched, the clock read 3:15. I stood up and worked yet another kink out of my neck and decided to go get myself a snack. Nervous eating definitely but at least it would keep me occupied.

Once again as I descended the steps I was greeted with the sight of Kevin sitting in my big chair. Cigarette in one hand and beer in the other. I couldn't see his face but it creeped me out the way he just sat there with no lights on. He seemed to do that all the time these days. Like he was dodging the light or something.

I walked passed him as I made my way to the kitchen. "Kev, you should really get some sleep, I mean tomorrow is going to be hell"

"I don't sleep. No reason to sleep anymore. I am a creature of the night" I froze when I heard the voice. My back was to him just then. I was standing in the doorway to my kitchen, I slowly turned around to face him.

"What?" I asked hoping I was hearing wrong.

"You heard me, I don't sleep Nick and neither do you" I backed up against the wall. Shaking violently.

"Don't be scared my little lamb, everything will be all right" He put his beer down and made his way over to me. My feet were paralyzed. My voice just a whisper.

"You..how?"

He came over and tousled my hair, his breath smelled like smoke.

"It was faith that brought me here Nick. I will never die. I am immortal" I felt a warm flow developing between my legs. I was wetting myself. Joe laughed when he noticed.

"Let's go in here, your friends have been waiting for you" He grabbed my arm and pulled me into my kitchen.

Once the light was turned on I saw them. All sitting on my four chairs in the kitchen. All looking as petrified as I felt. They were bound and gagged. They all just sat frozen. "Nooo" I whispered as I began to cry. Joe came over and hugged me, "Shhh..it's okay. It will be okay my young friend"

"No, please let them go" He came and stood right in front of me placing his hands over mine. "Now you know I can't do that right? It was my father's will that they should be here with you"

"No" Is all I could say.

He moved away from me for a moment, placing his hands to his chin. "I hate to do this to you so early on, but if you are willing to make an ultimate sacrifice, I will let three of them go"

"Yes anything"

"Have you ever seen Sophie's choice Nick?" When I didn't acknowledge what he said he kept going, "It's a shame. Gotta be one of my favorite movies ever. Meryl Streep won an Oscar. I highly recommend it..well maybe in another life" He cackled then, with so much ferocity in his voice I jumped back. He moved to me to try to calm me down again, "There there kiddo, how are you ever going to make it through this if you are going to be so jumpy?" He guided me over to where my bandmates were and made me sit down.

"Now as I was saying, Sophie's Choice deals with A choice that a mother has to make. It's a painful choice but one that I feel like you should make now" I was still shaking uncontrollably, looking down at the floor trying not to glance at my bandmates bound feet.

"Nick! Are you listening to me?" He grabbed my head and I felt Kevin move slightly as he did.

"Yes, I am listening", I said still voice no bigger than a whisper.

"Good...now here is my proposition, I will let them go as long as you pick one to die" I felt my eyes grow big.

"What?"

"This is getting tiresome...I know you heard me, so who is it gonna be?" I shook my head as I saw all of them now squirming and crying behind their gags.

I stood up knowing what I had to say, "Me! Kill me, let them all go"

There were muffled objections coming from my brothers, but I remained strong.

"Now that was brave of you my lamb, but unfortunately you are going to die anyway, so I'm afraid you don't count. Now pick..One of them or they all die right now" Joe took out a gun.

"I can't!" I said looking around the room frantically for anything I could hit him with. Anything I could get my hands on.

"You have one minute!" He said and then he set a timer.

"I can't do this you can't make me do this! Let them all go please!!"

"No can do" I was hysterically crying now. Every part of me shaking uncontrollably.

"You have 30 seconds"

"No! Please..me kill me even torture me but leave them alone!"

"20 seconds" They all looked like their eyes were going to pop out of their heads from fright.

"Not Brian or Kevin they are married"

"10 seconds!" He said raising his gun.

"No!! God why are you doing this to me?"

"5...4...3.."

"Okay okay" I looked over at Howie, he gave me an understanding look.

"2.."

"Howie!!" I said. Just then Joe raised his gun and shot Howie right in the head.

"HOWIE!!" I screamed, over and over again

"No!! Please! God HOWIE!!!"

"Nick!" Joe was shaking me violently now.."HOWIE!!"

"Nick!!" Just for a second I thought I recognized Howie's voice, I opened my eyes and saw Howie staring at me, looking pale and scared.

"Nick! What is wrong?"

"Howie?" I asked, then I looked around totally disoriented, I was sitting on the floor by my bedroom window, my bandmates crowded around me.

"Yes it's me Nicky, are you okay?" He was gently shaking me. Kevin was standing behind me rubbing my back while AJ and Brian stood off to the side not knowing what to do to help.

"He must have had another nightmare" Howie said to them.

"I'm sorry Howie..I didn't mean.." Then I began to cry hysterically falling into his arms.

"Jesus Christ, should we call a doctor or something?" I heard AJ ask.

"No, this happens a lot" Howie replied calmly.

"What did that bastard do to him?" Kevin asked no one in particular.

"Nick can we get you something? You have to get ready for court kiddo" Brian said lovingly.

I was finally calming down a bit, able to get my breathing under control again. It was a nightmare, only a nightmare. I pulled myself away from Howie realizing that I had really wet myself. No one said anything.

"I better jump into the shower" I said standing up and letting out a sigh.

"You want to talk about it?" Howie asked me as I grabbed a few towels and made my way to my shower.

"Do I ever want to talk about it?" I asked as I closed my door shutting them out.

I got myself into the shower and broke down into hysterical crying again as I laid in a fetal position letting the warm drops fall all over me.
Chapter 13 ~ It Will be Okay by Mare
~ It Will Be Okay ~


My skin crawled when I heard my name being screamed. I was in a dreamless sleep, at least I think it was dreamless. I was never one to remember my dreams anyway. But when I heard Nick scream my name at the top of his lungs, I opened my eyes and ran. When I got to his room, the first thing I noticed was his bed. It was still made. Not slept in at all. Then I saw him, cowering in the corner by his bedroom window.

Kevin, AJ and Brian were right on my heels as I stood in the doorway looking at my friend crying and screaming like a child. I moved to him and consoled him. That's about all I can do to make things better. But as I watched him stagger into the bathroom, sweats soaked with his own urine, I didn't think there was anything on earth that I could possibly do. That any of us could do for that matter.

We stood in silence just staring at each other, not knowing what to say. I relaxed a little when I heard the shower go on even though I could definetly still hear his muffled cries.

I hurt for him.

"What the fuck was that all about?" AJ asked walking over to the new stain on the floor where Nick was sitting earlier.

"I mean I know he has been having nightmares, but.." Brian looked over at me when he finished his thought "Has it ever been this bad?"

"No, I don't think so..but he has this stupid court appearance on his mind" I looked back over to his bathroom door, hoping that his muffled cries would soon stop.

"This is crazy! I mean..God he wet himself for Christ sakes!" Kevin said banging his fists against the wall.

I sat on the bed, looking at the clock. It was 6:30. Nick was due in court at 9.

God I didn't want to go to court today. To watch his face and see him reliving whatever hell he went through on the stand was too much for me to take the first time around. I left the room a lot then. I admit it. I just couldn't take being in there with HER. I also didn't want to hear any details.

The other guys constantly hound Nick about what he went through in there with Joe and Trish. Kevin especially nags at him wanting to know every detail. Not me though. To be honest I will die a happy man if I NEVER find out what my little brother went through. Does it make me heartless and selfish? Maybe. But I can't bare to hear it. I can't bare to hear the atrocities that could have happened to make a grown man so scared that he actually screams in his sleep. Scared to the point of wetting himself. No, some things are better left unsaid.

"What's wrong Howie?" I looked over at Kevin who was in the middle of wiping away the stain on the floor with a damp towel.

"Nothing, I just worry about him. That's all"

"He needs to start telling us what he is thinking"

NO he doesn't. I always ask him do you want to talk about it Nick? And I always breath a sigh of relief when the answer is no. I'm not ready for a yes. The early news program that was on flashed a picture of Trish on the screen which instantly caught my attention. Brian walked over and slammed the TV off.

"This is all your fault bitch!" He yelled.

"Shh keep your voice down Bri, Nick doesn't need to hear that"

Brian nodded at Kevin. He was mad as hell. He is always mad as hell.

"You know, with all this security shit he has in here, how come fifty gaurds didn't show up when he started to scream like that?" AJ asked looking up at the security camera pointed right at Nick's bed.

"That's a good question, one I plan on asking Dave myself when I see him" I rolled my eyes. A Nick trademark that I had developed.

"Probably because they were able to see he was just having a nightmare"

"Well maybe so, but still..I'm going to ask Dave anyway. In the meantime I am going to put in a call and see if I can get Nick some.."

"Some what?" Nick said as he came out of the bathroom. We always seem to forget he is within ear shot. I know I am guilty of it too. Talking about him as if he doesn't exist anymore.

"Oh, I was just saying that maybe we should ask your doctor for some more sleeping pills for you"

"I'm fine Kevin, just had a bad dream. It happens" He came and sat next to me. I smiled at him but I still felt awkward. He was towel drying his hair and acting like nothing had happened.

"But Nick..don't you think.."

"That you are over reacting? Yes I do" I smiled at him. Glad he didn't feel like talking about it again.

"Why were you screaming Howie's name?" AJ asked him. I put my head down, not really wanting to know the answer to that question.

"I don't remember" He lied. I can tell it was a lie by the sublte lick of his top lip as he said it.

"Well, guys I don't know about you but I think we should all get cracking, we don't want to be late today" I said getting up, ready to go back to my room for a little more peace. A word that didn't fit in today's dictionary.

"Good idea D..Nick are you sure you.."

"Yes I'll be fine" He wouldn't even let Kevin finish his thoughts.

We all slowly began leaving his room. I lingered behind just to make sure he was okay.

"Howie?" I stopped and looked over at him. He looked like the child I had met all those years ago. The same look of innocence. The same desire for acceptance in his eyes.

"Yeah buddy?"

"I just wanted to say thanks and I'm sorry"

"Why are you sorry?"

"No reason" Again maybe a better friend would have pushed the issue more. Had him admit that he was far from over his little nightmare. I however just gave him a wink and a smile. Closing the door on the subject. Happily.

Trying my best to ignore the sobs I heard once the door was closed.

I got maybe five steps away from his door when my overwhelming love for my youngest bandmate got the better of me and once agian I found my way into his room and into his embrace. I hugged him gently rocking him as he wept silently.

"It will be okay" I whispered to him. Fighting my own tears from showing their face.

"It will be okay" I said a second time, more for myself then for him.
Chapter 14 ~ Testify! by Mare
~ Testify! ~


Her heart should have been pounding in her chest, beads of sweat pouring off of her head and dripping onto the floor where her foot was tapping nervously. Nothing even close to that was happening though, because she knew, no matter what the outcome, it was meant to be. Besides, how could she be nervous and upset? She was going to see Nick today. Even if only for a few minutes. Unless she could persuade him to come and see her. She had no doubt that she could coax him into it, the others might have a problem with it, but eventually she would get her way. Just like always.

She stood up and walked over to her mirror. It was so dirty that her image was distorted, but still she could tell she looked good. As always. She brushed her freshly washed hair and put on the business suit her lawyer instructed her to wear. She looked like she was at the top of her game again. The professional she had worked so hard to become.

Looking at her small table side clock she decided to bow her head in a quick prayer. Praying to God that everything would work out for the best. Praying that Joe would come and rescue her. Praying that Nick would come and visit. Praying for a second chance to make things right.

She stood up when she heard the guards approaching making a quick sign of the cross before taking in a deep breath. Her lawyer smiled at her, "You look gorgeous"

"I know" She said.

"Are you ready?"

"I have always been ready"

"Okay then let's go try to save your life" He said as the guards placed her hands and legs in shackles.

"I am already saved" She said. The lawyer gave her a nod, but the look on his face told Trish he thought otherwise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked at the clock in the courtroom, 8:58 it said. Two more minutes until the trial started. I was so nervous that I couldn't sit still. Kevin decided to sit next to me and calm me down. Like he used to in the old days. When he would worry that I might embarrass them in an interview by falling off my chair.

As if reading my thoughts, Kevin tapped my leg and smiled at me, "You okay little man?" He whispered. I nodded but he knew I wasn't okay.

I told them they didn't need to come with me. I had successfully persuaded my family to stay at home. The guys for some reason wouldn't listen though. I didn't want them in there just in case the lawyers brought up anything I may have went through. I didn't want the guys to know. I didn't want anyone to know. I was lucky the first time around, I only had to mention a few things but they were the same details I had mentioned to the press and my family and the guys. Nothing big. There was so much incriminating evidence at that point that I hardly had to say much.

Charlie had told me, that if he felt like the jury was swinging towards mercy, he would have to go into more detail about the hell I was put through. The torture mentally and towards the end physically. The torture I had forced myself to forget. He made me tell him everything, saying that I could actually be held in contempt of court if I didn't cooperate with him. What a jerk.

I hoped it wouldn't come to that. I was hoping they wouldn't even need my testimony. Because so many of the victims families were coming to have their say. But if Charlie had his way, my butt would end up on that stand. The families of the victims were sitting all around me. Already crying. I couldn't look at them. Just like I couldn't look at them the first time around. I felt guilty for living while their kids died. I think they felt the same way. They held me in their own kind of contempt.

The gasp coming from the crowd made me look up to see Trish being brought into the room. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. She stared right at me and smiled. I turned my eyes to the floor. Brian who was sitting on my other side leaned in and whispered, "Don't look at her Nick. That's what she wants"

"All rise" I didn't even hear it but Kevin tapping my leg once again brought me to my feet and the start of the trial.

It started out just like any other trial. Both lawyers making their case. Her's for her life. Charlie's for her death. "She should not be permitted to live after committing such heinous acts" He said speaking with a stern yet sympathetic twinge to his voice. Then he called John Wexman to the stand to make his plea. He looked old. So much older than even the first time I had met him.

"My son Robert was 21 years old when this woman and her brother took his life. He had his whole life ahead of him. It seems like she shouldn't be given the opportunity to live when my son wasn't given the same opportunity" He looked right at Trish then and I developed goosebumps. "You deserve to die for what you have done"

When Charlie turned it over to Trish's attorney, he didn't cross examine or ask any questions. So Mr. Wexman left the stand.

He was a nice guy. Came over to me shortly after we met and told me that his son would have been proud of me. He then embraced me. Crying as if he was holding his son who had died so long ago. Now as he passed me by, he just gave me a small smile. I returned the favor.

John Buckman was next to take the stand. He was not quite as nice to me when we first met. He came over and said that he didn't understand how it was that I could let those horrible people work for me. Meaning Trish and Joe. Like I had known they were evil. Now he sat on the stand looking rather docile. More docile than I remembered him looking. I remember hearing that shortly after Tye's death his company went under. He went into a depression that ruined his marriage and life. That was just about 13 years ago. Another life devastated.

"This woman sits in prison while MY tax money keeps her alive and happy. I don't want her alive and I certainly don't want her happy. Tye was a great kid. If he were alive now, he would be 33 years old. He would object to me being here pleading for this woman to die, but he isn't here. So you need to do what is right" Again, when it came time for Trish's lawyer to cross examine he had no questions. That had me a bit relieved. Maybe I wouldn't have to say much at all.

Another of the victims families, The Abrahams, were expected to speak next but because of a flat tire, they were no shows. Charlie gave me a small smile. I knew that smile all to well. It meant get ready to rock and roll kid. You're on next.

"The state calls Nickolas G. carter" Charlie said. When I heard my name I almost screamed. I wanted to run away. I certainly didn't want to get up and sit right in front of Trish and all those families. Two loving arms on both of my shoulders, gave me the courage I needed to stand up and move forward.

"It's going to be okay Nick" Brian whispered to me just as I walked away from him. AJ, Howie and Kevin all giving me winks and nods. I walked slowly and looked at the floor, but I smelled her as I passed by. Lilacs and Lavender. Just like my room last night. I shuddered as I sat down.

"On behalf of the state your honor, Nickolas would like to make a statement" Charlie said just as we rehearsed so many times before. I swallowed and tried to speak but my voice caught in my throat. I refused to look over at Trish, instead choosing to look over at my best friends. The four guys who had helped me get through the hell. Kevin gave me a nod.

"I have known Trish a very long time. She worked as my personal assistant. I never knew she was capable of the crimes that she committed" I looked at the floor, remembering Mr. Buckman's biting words to me during the first trial. How could I have hired those people? "She deceived me as well as my fellow bandmates into thinking we could trust her, which we did with our lives. Especially me" I felt my voice crack. I swallowed once again trying to get control of my emotions. How do you ask for someone to die? "All I am asking is that you keep her off the street. If that means locking her up for life than so be it. If that means killing her than so be it" I knew that wasn't exactly what Charlie and I had rehearsed and I could feel him staring at me in anger.

Of course when it came time for the opposing lawyer to ask questions he did.

"Mr. Carter, you trusted my client with your life you said?"

"Yes"

"Even after she took you captive"

"No, of course not" He smiled. "Is it not true that you asked my client to hurry back home because you were afraid that her brother would harm you?" I closed my eyes trying to remember. Was it true? I vaguely remember the phone call, and wanting her so desperately to come back.

"Maybe, Joe was a lunatic though. He would have killed me"

"But you didn't feel the same way about Trish did you?" I looked up from my feet accidentally looking her way to see her once again staring at me.

"No, I guess you can say that"

"So, is it fair then to say that you didn't fear for your life when Miss Topper was around?"

"No, it's not fair to say that. I was just as afraid of Trish. But she was able to calm her brother down"

"Do you think she should die Mr. Carter?" God how I so didn't want to have to answer that question.

"For me, no. But I am alive. She should die for all those others who aren't here" I looked back down at the floor once again swallowing.

"Mr. Carter, did Miss Topper ever give you reason to fear for your life?" He looked me in the eyes, willing me to answer the way he wanted me too.

"Yes, of course, I was a prisoner. She was unbalanced. I was terrified"

"But did she actually ever hurt you physically?"

"No I can't really say that she did"

"Did her brother?"

"I object, this is irrelevant" Charlie said from his table.

"Over ruled" The judge said, making me answer the question.

"Yes" I whispered, once again training my eyes on the floor.

"Did he ever hurt you with Trish there?"

"No"

"But once she was gone?"

"Yes"

"Did she ever prevent Joe from hurting you?" I shifted in my seat. I wanted to run away again. I didn't want to go back to that place. EVER again.

"Yes" Please don't make me tell you this story please don't make me tell you this story, please don't..

"How so?" I closed my eyes remembering the scene.

"Joe was being especially psychotic. He hadn't let me eat anything in a few days"

"He was starving you?"

"Punishing me..yes"

"Why?"

"For giving Brian a key phrase that meant don't trust her. Cornbeef and cabbage" I looked over at Brian as he sat up straight. I never told him that before.

"And Joe figured it out?"

"NO, Brian and AJ confronted Trish about it I guess and in a panic, she called Joe"

"Okay and then what?"

"He wouldn't allow me to eat anything for a few days. Finally he came down with some pizza and beer"

"What happened before that Nick?" I don't want to tell you that. Please don't make me tell you that.

I paused. Kind of like time stood still. While I tried to gather up enough nerve to tell this little part of the story. Just one little part of many I never spoke about.

"Answer the question son" The judge urged me in a very calm and quiet tone of voice.

"He came down into the basement and he smelled like alcohol" I felt a blackness come over me as I was taken to this dark place once again.

Me sitting on my bed writing in Julia, that's what I called my journal...

"Hey Nicky boy, I bet you are starving aren't you?" He said looking over at me. The way he was staggering made me think maybe I could escape. I quickly dropped Julia behind the bed before he could see what I was doing.

He came and sat next to me and wrapped his arms around my neck.

"Answer me Nick. I hate when people don't answer my question" He said slapping my face, hard. I turned away as I felt the salty blood coming from the corner of my lip.

"Then what happened next?"

"I am just getting ready to go to bed" I said hoping that he would take the hint and leave. He didn't. He instead pulled some Styrofoam nuggets out of his pants pockets. I immediately gasped. As he ...

I couldn't speak anymore. I didn't want to go back there. It was the past. It was over.

He took me in his grasp. He was too big to get away from. I kicked and screamed, but he wouldn't listen to me. He pulled me to the floor and laid his knee on top of my chest.

I looked up at my bandmates just in time to see Howie D get up and leave the room. I wanted to go with him.

He forced my mouth open and started to pour the Styrofoam in my mouth. Telling me to eat them. It will fill me up he said. I kept struggling to break free but it was no use. I swallowed about three of them, thinking that at any moment I was going to choke to death. Luckily I didn't. After about the 6th one, I vomited all over myself and him. He got up and kicked me. Ranting and raving the whole time. I only had enough strength to turn on my side.

He cleaned himself off and then grabbed me by the hair and forced me into the bathroom..

This is where the tears started to spill. I wiped them away as I continued to look down at the floor.

He forced me to drink water from the toilet and then he ordered me to take my clothes off.

It felt like the entire courtroom all shifted nervously at once.

When I refused, he began choking me, I couldn't breath. He started ripping at my clothes. That's when Trish called. She managed to calm him down. I couldn't hear what she was saying to him because I was barely conscious but he stopped and instead pulled me into a hug and told me he was sorry...

I wiped my tears away and then made the mistake of looking over to my band brothers. All of their heads were down. All except for Brian who mouthed the words "I'm sorry"

Finally I was able to leave the stand. As I walked back to my seat I glanced at Trish once again. She smiled at me. I turned away. I walked out of the courtroom went into the bathroom and threw my guts up.

As I splashed some water on my face and tried to regain my composure, I encountered AJ. I couldn't even look at him. I just wanted to shrink away.

He wouldn't let me though.

"You okay?" He asked me biting his bottom lip. I nodded but couldn't yet find my voice.

He clamped his arm around my shoulder in a brotherly way. "I love you kiddo"

I smiled at him and placed my head on his shoulder before walking out of the bathroom and back into the spotlight.

We walked slowly as everyone began to pile out of the courtroom.

"The Jury has the case now. It's over Nick. You did it" A very calm Kevin said to me. I nodded. Seemed like that was all I was able to do. As we walked away, Trish's lawyer stopped me, "Mr. Carter, May I speak to you a minute?" He said as he literallly ran into me.

"You know, he has been through enough. We are taking him home now" Kevin said as he grabbed my hand like I was a five year old and pulled me through the crowd, past the press and television cameras and into our awaiting van. David took over the pulling duties once we cleared the media.

When I got into the van, I was met with complete silence. Howie was sitting there reading a magazine. He probably ran here after he left the courtroom. AJ and Brian sat next to him and Kevin took his place next to me.

I found solace in looking out the window. I wasn't expecting to see what I saw right then. Nothing could have prepared me for it. Nothing. Because standing right outside my window was Joe in a big black overcoat. He looked at me, smiled and mouthed the word Mizpah.

I screamed a silent scream. So terrified that I could't find my breath to let my friends know what I had seen.

"Nick, what's wrong?" I heard Kevin say as he grasped me arm.

"I think he is having trouble breathing" Howie said urgently

Once again, the darkness of those days came to great me as I closed my eyes...
Chapter 15 ~ Atlas Shrugged by Mare
~ Atlas Shrugged ~


He passed out. I overheard Howie telling someone on his cell phone. It was all a blur though. All I could think about was what I heard Nick saying on the stand. How could that have happened? How could I have let these people into our lives, right under our noses..How?

"Kevin?" I turned to look at my cousin. He seemed uncomfortable in his own skin. Scratching his neck as he looked around, trying to find an answer. I think we were all trying to find an answer.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You have barely said two words since we got here"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Is there any word on him yet?" I asked looking towards the examining room they had taken Nick to.

"No, but the doctor said he thinks it was just an anxiety attack. Nothing serious. They are going to run some more tests just in case"

"Good, better safe then sorry"

Safe.

Now there was a word that took on a whole new meaning these days. Safe is a word that I have always taken for granted. It was something I felt in the arms of my Mother. Under the watchful eye of my brothers and father. Safe...

"Why don't you come and sit down with us Kev" Brian kept trying to bring me out of my thoughts. I could tell by the look on his face, he felt the need to distract me.

"In a bit" I said before once again looking towards Nick's door. I should have been able to keep him safe. I should have...

"Come on Kevin, we all feel bad about today" I let out a heavy sigh.

"Let's just stay together right now okay?" I nodded and followed Brian back to the chairs we were told to wait in.

Because of our celebrity status, we were waiting in a room, just past the regular waiting area. All four of us were here, in addition to a whole slew of security guards and police. It's a wonder how we weren't all over CNN. Luckily though, Nick choose to pass out AFTER we had left the courtroom. Just like the professional he had become. The show must go on mentality.

When I reached the room, even though it was packed with people, not a sound was heard. Everyone, including me didn't feel much of an urgency to talk about things.

Wasn't it me that Joe was originally supposed to guard? Didn't I recommend that he become Nick's personal bodyguard? He was the biggest guard we had. I thought I was protecting him..

"Do you think Joe would've..." I looked passed a few guards to the other end of the room where AJ was asking what was on all our minds.

"It's over now. Doesn't matter" I said as calm as I could. Truth is I didn't want to think about what COULD have happened if Trish didn't call and calm that bastard down. My mind could not go there. I wouldn't allow it to.

"Poor kid" Brad, my bodyguard said. I leaned my head against the wall, hoping that the coolness of it against my skin would shock me out of the guilt I was feeling. It didn't work.

"How long do you think it will take the jury to deliberate?" Howie asked still thumbing through the magazine he was reading in the van right before we were certain our youngest member was having a heart attack. I was annoyed that Howie left the courtroom. Annoyed and angry that I hadn't done it first.

"Not sure"

"They better sentence that horrible bitch to death" Brian said. He didn't sound like himself when he spoke like that.

"They will" AJ answered.

I remember the first time I met Trish, I had a huge crush on her. She was strong and assertive. She seemed like everything I wanted in a woman, but she was a little too old for me. Just a little. I was jealous of Nick. I told him he was the luckiest kid in the world..

The door abruptly opening, made all of our heads turn. A doctor appeared. Looking like this was just any another case. No big deal.

"All of Mr. Carter's tests came back fine. It was an anxiety attack" A collective sigh of relief was heard in the room.

"We will be releasing him in a few hours. We just want to keep him here hooked up to the heart monitor, just in case"

"Thanks doctor" I said on behalf of everyone in the room, "Can we see him?"

"Yes of course, but only a few at a time" I nodded and immediately got up to go see him. Brian, AJ and Howie all followed.

When we got into the room, Nick was laying motionless with heart monitor right above his head. Just like how he looked when he came here after we rescued him from the fire. I thought we were going to lose him then. As I helped carry him out of that burning building.

I remember sitting right by his side, holding his hand and holding back tears of joy. I needed to look strong for the others and the press. But inside I couldn't hold it together. Inside I was ball of mush. This kid meant the world to me. He annoyed me, I wanted to hang him upside down from his toes sometimes but, I loved him. And when we had finally found him I thought this nightmare would finally be over. Finally...

"Hey buddy" AJ whispered to Nick, who looked very pale and very out of it. I moved to stand behind AJ who opted to take a seat on the chair right next to the bed. I could tell Nicky was on some major tranquilizers. I needed some of those right about now.

"You gave us a little scare. Are you okay?" AJ totally amazed me sometimes. He could be such a hardass. But at the center of the image he created for himself, there was this fluffy white center.

"I'm okay but..." Nick sat up for a minute. Both AJ and I were there pushing him back down.

"Relax kiddo"

"NO but you don't understand..Joe..He's"

"He's not going to hurt you anymore Nick" I said as I grabbed his hand in mine once again. Like I had the first time. I felt so helpless back then. It was even worse now.

"He's not?" He asked me, memories of him at thirteen flooded my mind. Back when I used to take that look of desperation on his face and grow tired of having to constantly console him.

Back then protecting all four of them was nothing more than a big burden I could have easily lived without. Back then I never felt the need to carry the world on my shoulders. He would look at me back then, with the same look as he was giving me right now. A look to say make everything better Kevin, it's your job.

And he is right, it was my job and I failed...

"No, he is dead Nicky, he will never bother you again" Howie said but Nick's eyes never left me. He had to hear it from me.

"Yes Nick...Remember Joe is dead. He died in the house" He started shaking his head.

"No... no... no Kevin you are wrong. He is alive I saw him. He was there Kevin... he was there" I moved past AJ to be front and center. The others watching the scene unfold like a soap opera.

"Where?"

"He was there, right outside the courtroom. I saw him" I think I stopped breathing all together. There were no words I could say.

"That's impossible Nick. Your brain is just playing tricks on you that's all" Brian said flashing me a look. A look saying you are dropping the ball, let me take over.

"No..please believe me. You have to.." Again his eyes searched for mine. I only smiled at him. What more could I do. I walked over and placed a loving hand on his head.

"Shhh, don't worry about anything. For now you are safe"

"I'm safe?" He asked me once again in a small and terrified voice. He had been through so much.

"Yes you are safe"

"You won't let him come in here then?"

"No Nick I won't" I said patting his head trying to calm him down.

It worked because he instantly calmed down and fell back to sleep. Once asleep Brian came over with an intense anger on his breath.

"Why the hell didn't you just tell him it was his imagination?"

"Because he didn't need to hear that right now"

"What? Of course he did. He needs to know he is safe" I looked at my sleeping brother, friend, in many ways son, and felt all the weight of his troubles once again on my shoulders.

"Is he safe?" I asked Brian.

"You don't actually think he really saw Joe...do you?" I really hoped not, but my gut told me, things were not over yet. So all I did was shrug.

Brain looked from me to Howie to AJ, not believing what I had just done.

"How?"

"Brian, let's not talk about it now okay?"

"But.." Brian's words were drowned out by my own thoughts once again. My mind turned back to the courtroom and listening to Nick, who had always been one to worry and shrink behind a crowd, having to tell everybody what Joe had done to him. I pat his head again. And closed my eyes to the sound of his heart monitor in the background. Still feeling the pangs of guilt tugging at my heart and slowly ripping me apart...
Chapter 16 ~ Doubting Thomas by Mare
~ Doubting Thomas ~


I was in that weird place between dream and reality. Where everything was one big hazy cloud. I knew I was in the hospital, I knew I had passed out. Had an anxiety attack the doctors had said. I also knew I had to testify. I remembered all of that stuff. The one thing that I couldn't remember was what had made me so scared in the first place. Trish? Just thinking her name made me shudder. I felt the goosebumps forming slowly making their way up my arms.

"Nicky, are you cold?" I heard a voice ask me. It was only a whisper, but that was Howie. Always so sweet and soft.

I wasn't sure if I should answer. Answering meant waking up, but the feel of the blanket reaching my neck and a warm friendly pat on my head, made me smile.

"Thanks" I said out loud.

"No problem" Then I heard another person sit down. I smelled the unmistakable greasy smell that McDonald's fries had. The bag opening just made me realize how right I was.

"He wake up yet?"

"He's getting there" I knew it was AJ. Of course it was.

"Any more talk about Joe?"

Joe? Then the adrenaline of fear flew through my veins bypassing the goosebumps that were still forming on my skin. Joe... I saw him and he was alive. I sat up straight scaring the crap out of both men. AJ responded by dropping his fries on the floor.

"Joe's alive!!" I screamed.

Howie was up and out of his seat within no time flat. Grabbing my hand he said in his small voice, "Shhh. it's okay Nicky. You just had another bad dream"

"No I didn't Howie. I saw him"

I watched as Howie and AJ exchanged concerned looks. They thought I was crazy. I wished I was.

"Hey, well look who decided to wake up" Brian said coming to my other side, the smile he was wearing suddenly turned to a frown when he noticed the panicked expression on my face.

"What's wrong?" He asked AJ, even though I was right there.

"He's still talking about Joe"

"Nick, not again. Joe is dead" He placed a McDonald's bag on my little table and opened it up for me.

"I hope you are hungry"

"I am not crazy guys. He was standing right outside the van. He was alive and he whispered Mizpah to me"

"Nick! Stop. It was probably a dream"

"While I was wide awake?"

"It happens"

"Why don't you believe me?" I was getting annoyed. They were all acting as if nothing I said had any merit to it.

"You aren't thinking clearly, you have been through hell Nick"

"I know and I'm telling you the person who put me through that hell is ALIVE and back. right under our noses" The beeping of my heart monitor was starting to intensify, seeing that AJ went to get a nurse.

"Nick.." Brian held out his hand to me. In it he was holding a quarter pounder with cheese which I decided to knock right out of his hand and straight down to the floor.

"Why the hell did you do that?" He asked just as a nurse walked into the room.

She came over to look at the monitor and take my blood pressure.

"He is agitated" Brian said picking up the burger from the floor.

"Damn right I am agitated, this is why I never told you about the threats the first time, Does he have to kidnap me again before you'll believe me?" Suddenly he stopped in his tracks. I had hurt him. I think I meant to hurt him. He stood up, picked up the burger and left the room. Not saying a word to anybody.

"Mr. Carter you need to calm down. Would you like some tranquilizers?"

"No" I had tears streaming down my face.

"Okay" She said and then she quietly told AJ, "I'll be back in a few minutes" He nodded.

I looked over to AJ as I wiped my eyes. He looked hurt too.

"Why do you think you saw.."

"I DID see him J, I don't think I did. I DID"

"Should we call the police?" Finally..

"Yes we should"

"Where's Kevin?" I asked realizing that he was there before I went to sleep but not now.

"He went back to the house to let the dogs out and take care of some business"

"Did he bring security with him?"

"I'm sure Brad went with him" Howie said once again trying to calm me down. He kept rubbing my arm, trying to will the goosebumps away.

"Good because I couldn't..." visions of the dream I had of Howie being shot in the head came back to me. They all had to go away. It wasn't safe.

"I think you guys need to leave"

"What Kaos?"

"You need to go back home to your lives"

"Not while your like this we don't"

"He's going to get you guys too, please" I WAS losing it now, I couldn't help it though.

"It's going to be okay Nick" AJ said now sitting on the bed hoping I would focus all my attention on him

"How do you know that?" I asked him, my eyes still brimming with tears. He moved close to me then, so unlike how he was in his younger days, days when if we were left alone for even a few hours we would most likely kill each other.

"Because I know" simple answer but for some reason, I believed him. He was that sincere.

The nurse returned with Howie following close behind. She took one more look at my monitor and satisfied with what she saw, she left the room once again.

"AJ can I talk to you for a minute?" Howie asked, looking suspicious. AJ only looked at me when he responded.

"Sure D" Then he winked at me, "I'll be right back" I nodded.

"Hey Rok. Brian can keep you company" J said walking out the door and passing by a very quiet Brian.

When Howie and AJ left the room the silence was suddenly overwhelming. I looked toward the door and smiled at Brian. He came in and sat down.

"Bri, I'm sorry"

"No Nick, I'm sorry. You are right. It's all my fault"

"I never said that"

"You didn't have to. It is the truth"

"No it's not. I was being childish. I didn't really mean it" He looked up at me then, looking wounded.

"You wouldn't have said it if you didn't mean it"

Maybe I did blame Brian and AJ a little bit. If I didn't feel so isolated from them...No I was the only one to blame. It was my fault.

"Brian, I was just being a jerk"

"I don't want to believe you Nick. It's not that I DON'T believe you. I don't WANT to believe you" He looked away. It looked like maybe he had been crying too.

"He has to be dead Nick. Because if he is still alive this nightmare will never end. She has to die and he has to be dead, then maybe we can all move on with our lives"

"I want that to happen..you know move on"

"I do too"

"Does moving on include leaving all the bad memories behind for you?" I asked him.

"Of course it does"

"DO I bring back those bad memories?" I wiped some more tears away. It was probably the scariest question I had ever asked. I think Brian wanted Trish dead, Joe dead and maybe me dead too.

He did something that I had only seen him do once in his life just then. He started bawling his eyes out.

"Brian what is wrong? I'm sorry" He tried to shut me up but he was beyond words. He couldn't even look my way.

"I can't Nick" He said. I tensed up. He was scaring me.

"You can't what?" I looked to the door, hoping that Howie, AJ or even Kevin would walk in and rescue us from this odd bonding moment we were having. Or the breakdown I was witnessing. I still couldn't tell which one it was. He was able to gain his voice back. It was still a little choppy but thankfully back.

"I can't deal with knowing that I could have prevented this all from happening. If I had only said something. If I had only done something, If I had.."

I stopped him. "Yeah if I had only told you about this, if I had only told the police about this. We can all say that Brian. It doesn't make things any better. Trust me"

"Before you were taken away, we left things so unresolved. I was so afraid I would have to carry that around with me for the rest of my life...Then we found you" Through his tears he managed a smile. "And I thought oh my God now I can tell him how much he really means to me..how while pretending your nightly visits to my hotel room were tedious and an invasion of our already lack of privacy, I used to really be excited about it. The chance to spend time with you. How even when you say or do the stupidest things, I would love you for just being you" He moved to the bathroom and poured some water on his face before continuing. When he came back he sat down on the bed, almost in the same exact spot AJ had vacated. "And when you went solo and we had that terrible fight, not talking in forever and almost to the point of hating each other.."

"I never hated you" I had to correct him on that one. I was never mad at him. Never.

He nodded and smiled, "I had wanted to really tell you how I was proud of you for doing it. Proud and maybe a little jealous" I laughed. "There were so many things Nick that I wanted to say, rehearsed them with Leigh, rehearsed them in front of a mirror, but my pride wouldn't let me do it, so I never did"

"Brian it's okay really" I held out my hand to him and he gripped it and placed it to his chest.

"You asked me if I want all the memories to go away and the answer is yes, but it doesn't mean you Nick. I know we have really grown apart in the last few years, from brothers to Best friends to barely acquaintances, but I love you buddy. You really need to know that and I can't deal with seeing you in this much pain" He started crying again but this time he had company. I was crying right along with him.

"So, forgive me if I don't believe you. I can't believe you. Okay?" I nodded and then we embraced.

Brian meant the world to me.

Howie and AJ must have been waiting right outside the door because they came in right after we hugged. "Guys, Charlie called. The jury is back"

Brian and I looked at each other, not a word said but just like in the old days, there didn't have to be...
Chapter 17 ~ Calling Card by Mare
~ Calling Card ~


I sat in my hospital bed staring at Howie as he nervously twirled a few strands of his hair in his fingers. I probably would have laughed if it weren't for the circumstances that had him there in the first place.

"So tell me, why I couldn't go to the courthouse again?" Howie stopped twirling and sat up in his chair.

"Because the doctor felt like you weren't ready to leave"

"But he had said I could be released today"

"Yeah, but not until later and besides, why would you want to go to the courthouse? You did your part"

That was a great question. I wasn't sure why I wanted to go. Encounter all the press and the families and Trish. It just seemed appropriate that I should get to go. Even if maybe I didn't want to.

"Can we at least watch it on TV?" I asked him.

"No, Nick. You need your rest, try to get some sleep"

"How come you didn't go?" I asked him. I could tell he was getting a little impatient with me. He gave me a half smile. The same kind of smile he often flashed me when I was a child. The kind that said, because I know what's best.

"Well, when can I get out of this place?" Not that I was eager to leave, because I knew Joe was out there somewhere. Or maybe Brian was right, maybe I had just imagined it. Either way, suddenly nowhere felt safe to me anymore.

"How about right now?" We both turned to face the door where the doctor was standing with paper in hand. He came over and checked my vital signs and liking what he saw, signed my release.

"Take it easy Nickolas, bed rest and try to stay calm" I nodded.

I immediately got out of bed and searched for my clothes. The ones I was wearing when I got there earlier. Howie seeing me search, smiled and handed my pants to me from where he was sitting.

"Thanks" I said. I got dressed and was ready to leave. There were few places on Earth that I hated more than the hospital.

"Let's get out of here D" I said moving over to the closet and taking out my jacket.

"Relax Nicky, maybe we should just wait until..."

"I'm going home Howie. Are you coming or not?"

"You are so stubborn!"

"I know" I said smiling.

I placed my hands in my jacket pockets to warm them. That's when I found the card. I took it out and it looked like a business card. Upon further investigation, I noticed that it belonged to Trish's attorney.

"Odd" I said aloud. Howie stopped putting his coat on to give me a look.

"What?"

"It's nothing" I held the card closer to my face and flipped it over. The print was so small that I could barely make out what It said. It was a note for me.

Nick,
Please come and see me. I have to make things right before it's too late. Don't wait to long or you and your friends may be sorry.
Mizpah,
Trish

I slowly sat back down on the bed. Howie seeing me wobble rushed to his feet to help, "You okay?" I nodded.

"What's wrong?" I wish I knew, why a card could make me so jittery was beyond me. I was through thinking about it. I was through thinking about her. I placed the card back in my pocket.

"Nothing, nothing at all. Are we ready to get the hell out of here?" I stood up and smiled. Howie gave me curious look.

"Are you sure you..."

"I'm fine. Let's go!"
*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~
From the minute her verdict was read, Trish knew that things would work out. They always did. Fate. It's all it was. She smiled as her attorney led her past the reporters and the camera flashes. Armed guards waiting to take her back to her cell. The cell she would spend the remainder of her life in. "Miss Topper make a statement!" They were yelling from all sides. She only walked with her head bowed down. She walked past the victims families, hearing them cry in disapproval. She felt bad for them but it was God's will. Not her own.

She was sad to see that Nick didn't even come back for the verdict. She thought he would've been there. Would have at least said goodbye. She laughed, as the guards now handcuffed her and shackled her legs.

Goodbye was a relative term, because she knew she would see him again soon enough. She found herself looking up then, searching for her brother. Knowing that he was somewhere in the vicinity, lurking in the shadows. Just out of the reach of everyone.

"You should have gotten death you rotten bitch!" She looked up to see the angry snarled face of Brian Littrell. Someone she used to love as a friend and a brother. He hated her now, from the look on his face, so did AJ.

"Easy Brian, it's over. Let them take her away"

"It's not over. It will never be over" He said. Not knowing how right he was about that one. The guard was still walking her along towards the van they had brought her in, this time it was AJ's words that rang through her ears, the last words she heard before leaving, "We know it was just a ploy. You didn't mean what you said up there. You're not fooling anybody"

She decided to answer him with a smile.

Brian and AJ stood dumbfounded as they watched Trish be moved back to the prison. Both of them just standing there helpless.

"It wasn't my fault. It's in God's hands" she whispered to herself before bowing her head in prayer.
~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~

I was surprised when I got to my house and saw not one single press person there. Surprised but not at all disappointed. They had probably assumed that I would be at the courthouse. We waved to the two policemen as we passed them and parked the van in my driveway. The security team who escorted Howie and I led us back into the oddly quiet house.

I couldn't remember the last time the house was this quiet. This unoccupied. It had a serene feel to it. I turned to Howie who was right on my heels, "I'm gonna go lay down for a little bit" He nodded.

Once I was in my room, I laid on the bed and flipped on the television right to CNN. Of course the ticker told me all I had to know...CONVICTED MURDERER PATRICIA TOPPER SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON.....That's all I needed to know. I didn't want the details, no gasping and groaning from the people watching. No analyst saying it was probably my fault, my testimony that saved her life. I was done with it all.

I think I was happy that she wasn't given a death sentence. I couldn't feel responsible for taking someone else's life. Not after all the death I felt I was suddenly forever linked to. I turned on my side and sighed. "Maybe I can get on with my life now" I placed my hand under my pillow to make myself more comfortable.

My eyes bulged when I felt it. Something left under my pillow. I immediately jumped off the bed and ran across the room. As if I had just felt a snake. I took a few deep breaths and walked back over to the bed and threw the pillow off of the bed. Seeing what I had felt.

A Bible. A small one, the kind you find in gift shops, maybe the size of a deck of cards, but a Bible nonetheless. I sat on my bed and opened up the page that had a feather sticking out of it as a bookmark.

I let my eyes scan the page, squinting because the print was so small. Joe, or whoever it was that left this here had highlighted certain sentences and parts. It was the Book of Luke and the chapter was The Cataclysm To Come. Just reading that made me wince. I scanned down to the first highlighted phrase, "I am he and the time is at hand" And then "You will be brought to give witness" Obviously talking about Trish's trial. What scared me to death was the last thing because it was not only highlighted but underlined three times. "You will be delivered up even by your brothers and some of you will even be put to death"
~~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*
Joe watched the screen with much amusement. "Looks like he found my little calling card" He said. Never taking his eyes off the screen. "You know, I had left that for him last night but he never got it, he was too busy cowering in the corner and peeing himself"

"You are a real sick son of a bitch you know that?" Joe turned to the voice. The familiar one that always stuck up for Nick. Always. He walked over to the man who was safely bound to the chair by the table. The same chair that the homeless man had sat in before his death.

"Aw Kevin, cheer up! Just think of it this way, you are doing God's work" He said kissing the top of Kevin's head before turning his attention back to the television.

"Soon my little lamb..soon"
Chapter 18 - Judas by Mare
Author's Notes:

It recently came to my attention that I never finished posting this story in it's entirety on the site lol it has been done for a very long time so i'm posting the rest now.

I couldn't believe I had let this happen. I'm a smart mature man, how could I have not seen the signs? All there right in front of my face. The worst part is, I went with him willingly. No complaints, no arguing.

Dave was the enemy?

I played with the ropes that bound my hands to the chair as Joe watched Nick on his security camera. Nick thought he was safe. I thought I was safe.

Funny thing is, I thought I was actually protecting the kid by going back to the house. When Dave called me and said don't tell him but there was a security breach we think. I excused myself not even getting to say goodbye to Nick because he was asleep. I even told the rest of the guys I was going to get some of his stuff and make sure everything was in order. Didn't want them to worry.

"Doesn't he look so innocent Kevin?" I looked over at Joe, scared out of my mind. He was going to kill me. I took a deep breath as he continued to speak in a calming voice. Oddly calm while he sharpened a knife.

"He's a good kid, I have always liked him you know. I mean he is a child trapped inside of a man's body"

He was watching the screen like it was a television and he had a huge grin on his face. I wanted to kill him. I once again tried to pry myself lose, not sure how I was ever going to get out of this mess.

Joe turned around to face me holding the huge steak knife in his hand. He came over to me and sat on a chair backwards. As if he was riding a horse. "So, this is what I propose to you my friend"

"Don't call me your friend. I'm not your friend" He pouted. Pretending to cry.

"Kevin that hurt my feelings"

I looked down at the ground, the smile on his face was making me nauseous. Now I knew how Nick must have felt. The urge to pee was almost overwhelming and if I became anymore anxious I was going to have an accident. Just then Dave walked into the room. I looked up hoping that it was a policeman anything but Dave, unfortunately I was wrong.

Dave couldn't even look at me. Wouldn't even look at me. But I made sure I stared him down.

"Oh David, welcome. Kevin and I were just having a little discussion, I was just about to tell him our plan"

"Your plan not our plan. I have nothing to do with this Kevin. I swear to God"

How could he say that? Wasn't he the one that brought me to this place? Lured me right into the den of the monster? How could he say he had nothing to do with it? When he met me at the door of Nick's house, he cornered me and told me he needed me to follow him. So I did, just like how I did so many times before.

Not even thinking.

He got me to walk out of Nick's house with him, even so much as waved to the guards, the same ones that could have stopped this from happening unless they were in on it too, and drove me out to this place. I didn't even realize it until it was too late. We entered the small apartment, I wasn't even sure what I was expecting to see. Maybe some death threats or something. I didn't expect to see him.

He was supposed to be dead.

"Okay then, my plan. That's fine I'll take all the credit, and by the way it's not polite to take thy name in vane!" He backhanded David before either of us saw it coming. He fell back and quickly placed his hand on his face. I think my heart stopped beating. I couldn't find my voice to yell even if I wanted to.

Just like that he calmed down. Moving back to the place where he sat before. Staring at Nick on the security camera. I wanted to yell to him. Tell him to get the hell out of the house. Nick was just sitting there looking lost, like a mouse caught in a glue trap. And there was nothing I could do about it.

"You are going to help us get him back to me Kevin" He said after a long silence.

"No way"

He turned his head slowly almost like in the Exorcist I was expecting him to spin it completely around. That's how slow he was moving. Goosebumps riddled my arms when I saw the evil smile on his face.

"Yes, you will son. It is God's plan. Nick will listen to you. He trusts you"

"No I'm not helping you"

"You are going to convince him to see my sister"

"No!" He got up and moved toward me once again, the whole time never dropping the knife he had previously sharpened. He walked behind me and held the knife to my neck. I winced as a tear ran down my face. Dave just sat on the floor watching.

"Who do you love?" He asked me. Ironically enough the only thing that went through my mind was our song. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to sing it or not. I felt the blade against my skin slowly burning it's way into my flesh.

"I said who do you love?"

"What do you want me to say?" I managed to get out almost in a desperate cry.

"I want you to tell me before you die, who is the one person you love more then life itself"

I closed my eyes feeling death in the room, hoping all the stories of being greeted by someone you knew would be true. Soon I would see my father. Maybe he was standing right behind me now. Although if he was I doubted this would be happening.

"Kristen. I love my wife" I closed me eyes and waited for the burning. Knowing it would be incredibly painful.

Nothing came.

Instead he retracted away from me. I opened my eyes at first thinking maybe death wasn't a painful experience afterall. Maybe it was quick. But I was still very much alive and once again looking into the face of a maniac.

"Kristin is a beautiful woman"

"You stay the hell away form her!" I said now really trying my hardest to break free from the ropes. This amused him.

"I will Kevin, you have my word. But of course that means that you have to betray Nick"

"I can't" I whispered now full on crying.

"Shhh, it's going to be okay" He said walking over to me and wiping the tears from my face. He stroked my hair, "I understand how difficult this is for you Kevin. But it's God's will. You do this and you will be in my eternal graces"

I forced myself to look him in the eyes. "God would not want me to let you have Nick"

"You're a silly boy Kevin. I know what God wants, you are just a stupid human who is incapable of understanding the bigger picture. If you don't do this for me and betray me, your family will NEVER be safe. My apostles are everywhere. And after I kill Kristen, they will kill the rest of your family. You willl never know when or where but it will happen. I now have 10 Apostles and now you have been chosen to be one as well" He kissed me on the cheek.

I looked over to David now understanding that maybe he had been through this same thing.

"It's really a simple request my friend, all you have to do is convince him to see Trish in jail. That's all"

"Then what are you going to do?"

"Let me worry about that" Now I found myself looking over at the screen. The cameras that were installed to keep Nick safe. He was still sitting holding the bible in his hands but now it was being hugged against his chest. He looked like he was crying. Joe walked over to the screen and pat Nick's head. I wanted to do the same I wanted to take all the hurt away.

"Why Nick?" I asked, "Why not me?"

"Because you weren't chosen"

"Please don't hurt him. Please" Joe looked away from the screen and back to me, "He is just a kid. He has his whole life ahead of him. Just walk away. I won't say anything. You have my word"

I was ready right then to make the ultimate sacrifice for the boy I had loved like my own brother. Ready to let him kill me to save Nick. It was the least I could do since this was all my fault anyway. Kris would just have to understand.

"Take me" I thought the words would come out stronger then they did but they were barely audible.

"Nope. I don't want you. I would kill her though. Besides other things, now you wouldn't want that right?"

"No" I felt defeated totally numb like I had not an ounce of energy left.

Just then I felt my binds loosen, as he used the sharpened knife to cut me free. "Now go my son. Go and do God's work" He kissed my other cheek. And walked out the door leaving Dave and I in the room both staring at Nick. I felt Dave's hand on my shoulder and I automatically shoved it away.

"How could you do this to me? To us?"

"You act as if you think I had a choice! I didn't he threatened to kill my son. He even took him away. Jesus Kevin the guy is a loon. He is going to kill Nick. Just face the facts"

"You expect me to just face the facts?"

"Yes, I do, or you will end up losing Kristin. He'll do it Kevin and you know what?"

"What?"

"He'll still manage to kill Nick"

"We can't let that happen"

"Look, I feel the same way as you, but if I have to make a choice between my family or Nick, I choose my family. Just like I chose to bring you here"

"I can't do that"

"Kevin...you have no choice" I walked over to the screen again. I would find away. I would.

"Now come on, we better get back before people start wondering where we vanished to" As we left I stole one more glance over to the screen where Nick was still staring straight ahead blank look on his face.

"Don't trust me Nick. Please don't trust me. And I'm sorry" I said now feeling so much guilt I couldn't even handle it. If he died because of me, I would kill myself.

Chapter 19 ~ Say it was only a Dream by Mare

By the time everyone had made their way back to my house it was long past dinner time. I tried my hardest to sleep during the time I had to myself, before Brian and AJ came home but sleep didn't come. In it's place deep pondering. I must have clutched that little business card with that note from Trish in my hands for hours. Wondering if I should tell somebody about it or if I should just throw it away. How I wanted so desperately just to forget about the whole thing. Now that Trish was in jail for life, I should have been able to move on. Damn Joe! Damn him!

"Hey buddy" I heard come from my doorway. I forced myself to turn around and saw Brian standing there waiting for an invitation into my room.

I rolled over and sat up, running my hands through my now messed up hair as I did it. He came and sat down next to me. The only light coming into my room was coming from the hallway so we both looked like we were in an eerie spotlight.

"How are you feeling? Any better?" I nodded but then quickly mumbled a yeah when it dawned on me that he probably couldn't see my head shaking.

"Good. I'm glad to hear it"

"Is everyone back now?" I asked him squinting while my eyes adjusted to the darkness. It's funny that I was so entranced in my thoughts that I hadn't even noticed the change from day to night.

"Yeah, well everyone except Kevin. Have any idea where he went?" I shrugged. I thought he was with them but maybe he went for a ride or something.

"You wanna talk about it? You want me to tell you what happened in there?" I looked down to notice his legs were dangling off the side. He was swaying them back and forth. That just meant he was uncomfortable. I hated that I made him uncomfortable these days. Then it dawned on me that I hadn't really talked to him or anyone else about what I had actually said in that courtroom. We glazed over it but we really didn't talk about it. Great! That would just be another thing we would have to discuss one of these days. Not now though, or anytime soon.

"I know she was sentenced to life without parole, I really don't need to know anything else" I said. His sigh made me realize maybe he NEEDED to tell me. Maybe it was something he needed to get off of HIS chest. I guess I should have been a good friend to him and let him go on and on about how bad it was for him. How disappointed the families were. How relieved Trish was. I just couldn't bare to hear about it. Not yet. Possibly not ever.

"I guess it's over buddy" He placed his arm around my shoulder but for some reason I winced. That threw him for a loop. "Did I hurt you? I'm sorry"

"No, I'm sorry Bri, I'm not sure why I jumped. I guess I'm just a little bit jumpy"

"That's understandable Nick. No need to apologize" He stood up ready to leave, "I think we are ordering a few pizzas for dinner. Come on down when you're ready" I nodded once again. He stood there for a minute as if he wanted to say something more, but then when his words failed to come, he left.

After Brian left I sat there staring at the wall in the hallway. I didn't feel like moving or eating or celebrating or anything. What was there to be happy about? I knew he was coming for me. I just didn't know when or where.

~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*

I stood outside the door dreading my entrance. Not wanting to lie about a thing. Wanting to shout at them all. Leave! Joe is alive and he's coming for you. Dave seeing me hesitate, put his hand on my shoulder. "It's okay Kevin, no big deal. Just get him to see Trish that's all"

"That's all?" I couldn't believe he had kidded himself into thinking it all was as simple as that.

"Look, you have no choice" but I did have a choice. I just needed to figure out if I was willing to make it.

Before I could put it off anymore David opened the door and together we walked inside. "Let me do the talking" He said as we met up in the living room to AJ and Howie's wondering glares.

"Where the hell were you?" AJ said to me almost pouncing on me like a leopard, "Did you hear about the verdict?" I had actually forgotten about the sentencing. It slipped my mind entirely but I guess you could say I had bigger things to think about.

"Um..no. What was it?" How I was hoping he would say death, although deep in my heart I knew she would live. She would live and Nick would die. How fair was that?

"Sentenced to life without parole. How could you not hear that?" I didn't like the way AJ was hitting me with all of these sharp accusations.

"It's my fault" Dave was quick to step in. "We had a security breech so I wanted to take Kevin to the source, we were nowhere near a radio or television"

"What kind of security breech?" Howie asked now making his way over. I was growing uneasier with every passing second. I was never big on lying especially not to them.

"It was nothing really. Just a strange guy kind of skulking around" Dave said matter of factly. I couldn't help but wonder how long he had been lying to us. I wasn't sure if I could trust anyone at all after this.

"Really? Well, if he was hanging around HERE, then where the hell did you go?" AJ still not totally convinced with Dave's story. I was a little happy about that. Maybe I wouldn't have to say a word. Maybe AJ would do it for me. Suddenly both his eyes and Howie's eyes shifted to the stairs. I couldn't breath thinking it would be Nick, but it was only Brian. And he wasn't looking very happy.

"What's wrong?" Howie asked walking over to my cousin. He shrugged, "Just Nick"

"He gonna be okay?" Brian sat down on the bottom stair as if suddenly having to take another step would be more than he could bare.

"I don't know D. I wish I did, but I honestly don't know" Brian glanced my way then. I smiled, he didn't.

"Where were you?"

"Security breech" He looked as if he was going to start asking a ton of questions so before he could I added, "It's nothing. Turned out to be just a fan" He nodded and rubbed his temples.

"Kev, why don't you go see Nick. I'm gonna be on my way" Dave said, winking at me. It looked friendly to everyone else, but I read the real meaning of that wink loud and clear. He's watching you. Don't screw up.

After Dave left, I almost did spill my guts. I really wanted to. Brian and AJ had made their way into the kitchen and I was sitting all alone with Howie. No one would have heard. I looked around, searching for a camera or listening devices or anything. I didn't see one but just because I couldn't see one didn't mean there was none to be found later. No, for Kristin's sake, I couldn't take the chance.

So I said nothing.

Instead I made casual conversation. Nothing heavy. Nothing even Nick related. We talked about movies we had yet to see and CD's we had yet to purchase. He was telling me a story about one of his parties when he stopped short.

"Don't stop because of me...well..unless you were talking about me" I didn't turn around. I didn't need to. The childlike chuckle told me all I needed to know.

He came over and sat right next to Howie. I had to laugh. He has always been like that. There could be ten chairs in a room and A huge couch, but yet Nick always managed to sit right next to someone. I think having someone's body heat next to him made him feel safe.

He looked over at me and smiled. I smiled back, I had the urge to grab him into a hug but that would be too suspicious of me. I wasn't the touchy feely one. "Hell of a day huh kiddo?" Howie said lovingly putting his arm around Nick.

"Yeah, hell of a day" He echoed. So lost.

"Well, I'm going to run to the bathroom. I'll be back" I would have done anything in the world for Howie not to leave us alone. But he did. Nick just sat there not saying much. Flopping his long legs onto the couch and placing his arm behind his head.

"I guess now that this whole Trish thing is over you'll all be leaving soon" He said.

"I don't think you'll get rid of us that easily"

"I'm not sure if I want to" He said under his breath. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to really hear him say that or not. I think he did.

"Let's go have some pizza" I said thankful when I saw security walking in with the pizzas.

"Kev, can I tell you something?" I was standing over him at this point, stretching my arms way over my head.

"Sure, what is it?" From my position, I saw the unmistakable glint of tears in his eyes. I moved and sat next to him.

"That night..you know when I kind of..well wet myself?" I nodded. "I had this dream that Joe" When he said the name I gasped. He was surprised. I didn't want him to continue. If Joe was watching, which I was positive he was, he was probably beaming with pride at hearing his name. It made me nauseous. I put my hand on his shoulder as he continued, "Anyway..I had a dream that Joe made me pick one of you for him to...." He took a deep breath as a tear fell from his eyes.

"You don't have to tell me Nick. If it's too painful" I wanted to know. I didn't want him to tell Joe.

"I had no choice. I had to pick" I rubbed his back as Howie slowly walked back into the room watching the scene. I glanced over to Howie and he stood there looking as lost as Nick had when we spied on him earlier.

Howie came over to us and squatted down next to Nick placing both his hands on Nick's knees, "It's okay Nicky. It was just a dream. Joe is dead. He won't hurt you. No one will hurt you"

"But Howie...I"

"I know...it's okay. You were screaming my name. It was only a dream" I watched as my one band mate cradled the other in his arms. How I wished that it was only a dream. Especially when Nick spoke the next few words.

"Trish left me a note. She wants me to go visit her and I just don't know what to do"

Chapter 20 ~ The Last Supper by Mare

"That's easy enough, you need to forget all about Trish Nick. She is gone and can never bother you anymore" Howie stood up while saying that. Never sounding more sure of his own words. I knew he would say that but I wasn't sure if it was what I wanted to hear. I looked over to Kevin to get some kind of reaction. He was staring down at my carpet, not saying anything.

"Kev, what do you think?" I asked him placing my hand on his shoulder.

"Think? About what?" He seemed lost.

"You okay Kevin?"

"Yeah...I'm fine, I just have to run to the bathroom real fast" He stood up and darted out of the room. Howie and I just stared after him, neither of us saying a word.

"Nick, this should be a really easy decision for you to make kiddo, why in the world would you want to go see Trish anyway?"

"I don't know D, it's hard to explain" And it was also embarrassing. I mean how do I explain that even though she did all those horrible things to me, I also was grateful for her for saving my life? How do I explain that even though she was a heartless and cruel murderer, I still cared about her? How do I explain that without sounding like an idiot?

"Can I see the note she sent?" I hesitantly handed the small business card over to him. He held it close to his face to get a better look, "When did she give this to you?" I shrugged.

"Maybe she just wants to apologize" I whispered, I sounded naive like how I had when we were young, when I had believed the whole world was on our side. Howie's eyes met mine. They weren't laughable or angry, just concerned. "Is it something you really want to do Nicky?"

"I don't know Howie. I wish I did, but I just don't"

"Well, you have plenty of time to think about it, the pizza is here. Let's go eat" Howie stood up and extended his hand to me, which I took. He pulled me off the couch and to my feet and together we walked into the kitchen.

"Hey Kaos!" AJ said slopping a big piece of greasy pepperoni pizza in his mouth. I nodded at him and sat next to Brian, who greeted me with a friendly nod. "You know, we really must do something about those security guards out there"

"AJ stop..you're going to get grease all over the floor man" I got up and grabbed some paper towels, got on my hands and knees and started to wipe away the pepperoni drippings.

"Easy Nick, when did you get to be so into cleanliness"

"Well, if I got anything on the floor at Trish and Joe's I would.." I stopped talking then. Realizing what I had just said. Remembering what would happen to me. Feeling Joe's hands grab my hair as he would fling me to floor and make me lick up whatever I or he had spilled. Then banging my head so hard against the floor that I would wake the next morning feeling hung over. A hand on my back made me jump, I hit the underside of the table with my head. "Ow, fuck!" I screamed.

I moved out from underneath the table to see them all staring at me again. They looked at me as if I was some pathetic dog. "It's over now" Brian said. I nodded as I went to sit down.

"J, why did you say that about security anyway?" Howie asked now moving next to AJ and peering out the window. "Because they are supposed to be protecting us but what are they doing? Playing cards. Very nice" Howie shook his head at them. "I wonder how much they are getting paid"

"Who knows...who cares. It's not like we need them anymore" Brian said dismissively. I wanted to say something to the effect of yes we do because Joe is still out there and alive, but didn't have the energy to argue.

"So I still can't believe what that bitch did on the stand" AJ said grabbing another piece of pizza but this time placing it on a paper plate.

"She was full of crap!" Brian said sipping on a cup of coffee. I noticed he wasn't eating anything. He gave AJ a nasty look.

"What did she say?" They all looked over to me again as if I was a little whimpering puppy in need of a walk. I don't think I will ever be looked at any other way again. "It's not important" Brian barely grumpled out.

"I'd like to know too" We all found ourselves staring at the doorway that Kevin just entered. The glare his cousin gave him in return was equal to a death glare. He refused to answer so AJ did the job. "When she took the stand she said she was sorry and that she thought she should receive the death penalty" I have to admit I wasn't really expecting that. I thought for sure she would've begged for her life. Pleaded for them not to kill her. What possible reason could she do that? What would she have to gain?

"Nick...you okay?" I looked away from the pizza box into Kevin's concerned gaze.

"Yeah, I'm fine just a bit..well surprised that's all"

"Me too" He answered.

"She knew that they wouldn't listen to her"

"Maybe she felt bad for what she did" Now all eyes were on Kevin as if he had said he loved the devil himself.

"How could you even say that? She isn't sorry for what she did. She enjoyed it"

"Brian, I don't think she enjoyed killing those people, I mean you should have seen her talking about some of their..." My mind struggled to find the right word, but Brian had no trouble, none at all.

"Victims Nick. They were victims"

"Okay..fine. Victims. She loved them Brian"

"Yeah she loved them, enough to KILL them. Nick you are talking nonsense. You don't know what you're saying"

"Maybe he does" Once again all eyes went to Kevin, "Maybe she loved those kids so much but she loved her brother more. She had to do what was right for him not for the others. She had to protect herself and her family"

"What?" Brian looked like he was ready to jump across the table and strangle his cousin.

"I'm just saying, maybe she had no choice. He was evil Brian. He could have snapped her neck without even trying, Nick even said Trish pushed him down the flight of stairs didn't she Nick?" I was confused about so many things. Kevin was acting strange but he was making sense and verbalizing all I was trying to say.

"Yeah, at least that is what she told me"

"So it's clear that she tried to help Nick by killing Joe. It just didn't work"

"I think you have all lost your minds!" Brian said standing up in a huff and charging out of the room. I felt bad, like I had disappointed him in some way. I wish that I could hate Trish as much as Brian did. I wanted to.

"Maybe it would do him some good to go see her" AJ said, now he had given up on his pizza and sat with cigarette in his hand as he spoke. Taking a quick breath before each puff.

"How do you figure that?" Howie asked eyeing me as if I was a child and couldn't quite follow the conversation they were having.

"Maybe he needs to see for himself that he is safe and she is gone forever. Maybe he needs her to say she's sorry"

"Yeah, or maybe she will just play another mind game with him"

"What do you think?" I asked Kevin, who throughout the whole conversation remained as quiet as a church mouse. Occasionally taking a sip of Coke or taking a bit of pizza. I knew he had a set opinion on what I should do. Actually, I was hoping he would.

"I don't have an answer for you Nick, I'm just going to say..." He paused forever. It was like he forgot he was speaking. Then after taking a deep breath and drawing his hands to his head, he continued, "It's your choice. You need to do what you think is right. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, now if you'll excuse me I have to make an important phone call" Kevin stood up very quickly, his napkin falling to the floor, as he set out of the room to make his call.

"Wonder what is going on with him" AJ said not bothering to look at anyone but the place where Kevin had been.

"Maybe he and Kris are having troubles"

"Maybe" Howie stopped mid thought and walked back over to me, "SO? What are you going to do?"

Wasn't that the million dollar question? I wish the answer could have been a simple one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sliding in and out of the shadows they looked like serpents. Joe couldn't help but smile at that little analogy. A den of serpents. From where he was sitting he had an impeccable view of the house. He was able to see every little move of all the boys. Kevin was facing him for most of the time. The look of desperation on his face made Joe almost laugh out loud. In fact he did once. More for the other patrolling security then for the actual humor of the situation. Although the situation was humorous.

He adjusted in his seat. He knew he was in for an uncomfortable night but it was all part of the job, afterall how many of these kinds of nights did he have when he was paid to guard their lives? Too many to count. Nights of doing nothing but sitting in a crowded car telling dirty jokes to the other guys to see who would laugh first. He always won that contest. He never failed with an old woman walks into a bar jokes. They were his stand by.

"So, an old woman walks into a bar and says where can I find a talking frog?" Joe laughed out loud again, just thinking of the punch line, but was instantly angered when his company didn't laugh along.

"Well, do you guys have no sense of humor?" He asked slapping one upside the head. He fell onto the horn of the car. Sending an annoying beep through the quiet night air. He quickly pulled the guys head off the steering wheel and waved to the concerned person looking out the window. Happy to see Howie wave back.

"Oh that's right, I forgot...dead men can't speak" Joe placed the dead guard's head against the window as if he was asleep. Stupid security guards, so busy playing cards that they hardly noticed him. He was in the car and strangling one before the other hardly had time to react. The one at the steering wheel was hard to kill. He had to stab him about five times in the heart. This car would be a mess to clean up. Luckily Joe wouldn't have to do it.

He noticed Kevin stand up to leave the room and once again found himself smiling. Things were going to work out just fine. He thought to himself, wondering if they realized it would be their last supper together. He grabbed his pair of binoculars to try his hardest to see Kevin. He just had to see the reaction. The one he knew would come.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I almost condemned a man to die... Was all I could say over and over in my head while listening to Nick prattle on about what he should do. It would have been so easy for me to just say "Nick go see Trish" As a matter of fact, I was certain that Nick wanted to hear those words. I just couldn't bring himself to do it though.

I stopped just shy of the phone when I heard the car out front honking. My heart stopped. I walked over to the draped window to see what the problem was but the man waved, probably just hit it by mistake. I wasn't sure what to do right up until the time I said do what you feel is right. Up until then I was certain I would tell him to go to see Trish. When I saw in those blue eyes the years of trust and guidance we shared, I just couldn't steer him wrong.

I knew Joe had to see what my answer was, he had cameras everywhere. So I had to call Kristin before it was too late. I had to tell her I loved her and to pack a bag. We would be leaving somewhere. Location to be figured out later, but for now she would just have to go. Leave, go to your friends house anywhere but home. Don't ask me questions baby, we don't have time for that. Just run. He picked up the phone and started to dial his number, when he heard what came from the other end, his hands went numb. So numb in fact that he dropped the phone. No other thoughts made their way to his brain just then, nothing came except his little prayer.

Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

Chapter 21 ~ The Twelfth Apostle by Mare

Time stood still and all I heard was the beating of my heart. That and the muffled cries of my wife in the background on the telephone. It was all a blur from this point on. A blur. I clutched the phone tight against my ear, "Leave her alone" I said in an elevated voice. Much louder than I had intended it to be.

"Shhh...better stay quiet Kevin. We don't want your friends to hear"

"Who is this?" I hissed into the phone as my wife's crying became even quieter. I could tell she was being led away. Farther away from me.

"That's unimportant. All you need to know is that we are watching you Kevin. We are watching your every move. Now go do what God has truly intended you to do or I can put your wife on now to say goodbye" I felt a few tears roll down my eyes. I have never felt that helpless before.

"Please don't hurt her...Please... I'll give you anything you want"

"Can you assure me a place in heaven?"

"What?" Kevin was sidetracked by Dave entering the house and giving him a look. He knew and understood exactly what was going on, on the other end of that phone. It all became clear to me then. Dave had also gone through this.

"I said can you assure me a place in heaven?" Dave walked over to me and just stood by my side. "No, of course not but either can he. Joe is not the Messiah"

"Shut up! Blaspheme!" I could tell he was getting angry and I didn't want that to happen.

"Can I speak to her?"

"Yes, after you do what you are meant to do"

"And what is that?"

"Convince the boy to go see Trish! I thought that was explained to you"

"But.."

"You have thirty minutes" And then he hung up. Leaving me standing there with the phone in my hand feeling lost. I started to sway and luckily Dave caught me before I fell to the floor. Otherwise that would have been precious moments lost.

"Why me?" I asked again. I didn't understand. I never would.

"You have to do it Kevin. They are everywhere"

"Who?" I was half listening to Dave and half trying to picture Kristin sitting in a chair tied up somewhere with a madman holding a knife to her neck. "Oh God I...we..I don't know what to do?"

Dave pulled me close to him and whispered in my ear, "He WILL kill her Kevin. You have to do it"

I could only stare at David. I wanted his stern expression to turn into a smile. Maybe this was all some kind of sick joke. Maybe none of this was real. Maybe...

"Can't we just trick him into thinking we told Nick to go see Trish? Maybe put a wig on someone else? Maybe a policeman?"

"You don't understand Kevin" Dave looked around the room really talking softly. So was I for that matter.

"What don't I understand?"

"I am not here alone"

"What?"

"Remember there are 12 of us"

"Are you saying that someone else here is working for Joe?"

"Against their will... yes"

"Who?"

"I can't tell you that. Just remember you are the 11th Kevin"

"I don't want to play this game anymore" I said getting so annoyed with the whole thing I was ready to just walk out the damn door and never look back. I wished it was only a game.

"Kevin, you walk out that door and she's as good as dead. They both are" I turned around stopping before I turned the door handle.

"How? How can I do what you are asking of me?"

"I don't know" I wish someone had the answers.

Time stood still for just a moment. I wrapped my head around the situation as best I could, I put on my stage smile and I walked into the kitchen ready to betray the boy I loved like my own brother.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*

I sat at my table twiddling my thumbs, occasionally looking over at my untouched piece of pepperoni pizza. I felt a headache coming on. I have never suffered from headaches before. Colds and stomach viruses? Hell yes but I have always been lucky when it came to headaches. Until the last few weeks happened. Since the whole stupid trial all the memories came flooding back and my head has constantly felt the effects.

I rubbed at my eyes, a movement that didn't exactly go unnoticed by my friends. They seemed to notice everything these days.

"You okay?" Howie asked his voice thick with frustration and concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine D. Just a little tired that's all"

"Maybe you should hit the hay"

"It's kind of early don't you think?"

"To sleep? Never!" I laughed. Howie would sleep all day every day if given the opportunity.

Kevin and Dave walked in cutting off our conversation. I smiled at them. They seemed like they were angry at each other. To be honest I didn't care to know. I had my own problems. I didn't need to know about a stupid security breech that would end up being nothing. All it would do is add to the stress.

Kevin took a seat next to me and grabbed a piece of pizza out of the box, "Everything alright?" Brian asked from across the room. I didn't want to know the answer to that question. Not unless Kevin was about to tell us they found Joe's decaying carcass outside.

"Yeah, everything's great" Was his response. He smiled at his cousin and then began eating his pizza like there was no tomorrow.

"You know what I was thinking?" Everyone looked Kevin's way. When he saw all eyes on him he continued, first taking a swig of Root Beer, "I was thinking that maybe you should go see Trish"

The silence and tension I felt in the room was unbearable. I was shocked. I almost asked him to repeat himself. "You want me to go see her?"

He pushed his plate away and sat back in his chair, "I think you should. Think about it kiddo. You are so tense and stressed out. Maybe by going to see her, you can put it all behind you, once and for all"

"That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!"

"Brian, it's not your decision to make"

"It's not yours either Kev. Nick, listen to me, you need to forget about that stupid bitch once and for all" Brian was now standing. Pacing back and forth.

"Calm down guys, this isn't helping any. He is tired and should go to sleep. He needs his rest" Howie offered up quietly. I was at a loss for words and for once, so was AJ. We both kind of just sat there with dumb expressions on our faces.

"I just think it's something he really needs to do. I will go with you if you want"

"Kevin, don't be an ass! He doesn't need to see her. Can't you see she is still controlling his life?" Brian seemed totally out of control now.

"Brian relax. He needs this"

"No he doesn't"

"Yeah Brian, maybe I do" I didn't even realize I had such a strong opinion on the subject until I heard my own words break through the tense kitchen. "Maybe I should go see her. I think Kevin is right"

Brian threw up his hands and walked away from us. He stood leaning against the sink looking like he was ready to throw some of the dirty dishes which were piled in there at either Kevin or myself.

"Are you sure Nicky? I mean that is a big decision. Don't let anyone talk you into it" There Howie went again, treating me like a child. "Believe it or not D, I am actually capable of making my own decisions"

"I know that..but.."

AJ now decided to speak up. His voice strong and sure, "If Nick wants to go, he should go"

Brian sighed in disgust, "You too?"

"No Bri, man I am sick just thinking about it, but maybe he should go. Kevin might be right. It could be good therapy for him"

Kevin looked over at AJ and smiled before his green eyes fixed on me. I trusted Kevin. I trusted his advice and he was saying what the little voices inside my head had been whispering to me since Trish had asked me to go visit her in the first place.

"I'm going" I finally said. Brian walked out of the room in a complete fury and the others remained only staring at me.

"How about I arrange a meeting with her for tonight?" Dave was grabbing for his cell phone. My heart skipped a beat, "tonight?" I asked suddenly swallowing the extra saliva that made it's way into my mouth.

"Yes, I'm sure we would be able to set up a private meeting for tonight, so this way the press won't be aware of what is going on"

"What do you think?" I asked Kevin. I must have caught him off guard because he looked like he had seen a ghost. "Kev? you okay man?"

"Uh...yeah, I'm fine...I think.." He swallowed hard, then looked over at Dave. How odd that was.

"I think you should go, and I'll go with you" Kevin started to get up but was interrupted by Dave, "No, Kevin. I am going with him, you stay right here"

"But I told him I would go" I wanted Kevin to win this argument. I needed him to be there with me.

"No! You NEED to stay here" They stared each other down for a few moments and then finally Kevin looked away, and my heart sank.

"Let me just check with her lawyer and we'll get going" Dave got up and walked out of the room. Leaving the four of us standing there staring at one another.

"I'm doing the right thing....right?" I had asked them that so many times in my career. The last time being after I had told them I was going solo. I felt so unsure then just like now.

"Yeah Nick, you are" AJ said confidently. He came over and pat me on the back.

Dave walked in holding my jacket in his hands. I guess that meant we got the all clear. I nodded and stood up only to be greeted by Kevin, "I love you Nick" He said grabbing me in a huge hug.

"I love you too Kevin"

Then Howie came over and grabbed me by my arms and did the very same thing. "I love you too kiddo. No matter what" No matter what? That was another odd thing to say.

Kevin and Howie exchanged looks, like they were the only two in on a joke or something. I shrugged, "Okay, well wish me luck guys"

"Good luck" They all said.

I wished Brian was there. He had a way of making me feel better and even though I knew he was dead set against me going, I also knew he would have still helped me get through it. Just as the thought framed my mind, Brian framed my line of vision. Not quite the calm composed picture I had hoped for. Especially when it came to the gun he had now held in his hands. Aiming at Dave...

Chapter 22 ~ The Agony in the Garden by Mare

When I hugged Nick I felt like a Judas, betraying my brother with a kiss. I know how things ended for him, maybe I would meet the same fate. I held onto Nick forever, not wanting to let this kid who I have looked after for such a long time, this kid who barely came up to my chest when we first met, this kid who I loved as much as my own blood, go. I was letting Nick walk right into the enemies hands. And I was doing it with a smile.

He pulled away first and gave me one of his smirks. I smiled back but then I had to look away. I kept my eyes down watching the carpet until I heard Howie say "No matter what happens" That brought my eyes back up to Howie, who was hugging Nick as tightly as I had before.

That's when I figured it out, Howie was the twelfth one. He had to be.

AJ stood by my side not realizing all that was at stake. I wish I was that clueless. Right after Nick walked out of the kitchen I walked over to Howie who also had his head down. I put my hand on his shoulder, he looked so torn, so agonized, how could I have not seen it before?

"He got to you too?" I whispered, making sure that even AJ couldn't hear.

"What are you talking about?" Howie asked, before I could answer all of our heads turned towards the direction of the living room where we heard Dave say, "Brian put the gun down!"

Without saying another word we all ran to see what the heck was happening, when I got there I was stunned to see Brian, my cousin who couldn't ever bring himself to hold even a paint ball gun without flinching, holding a real gun aimed right at Dave's chest.

"Brian what are you doing?" Nick asked, visibly shaken by seeing his one time best friend holding a gun aimed at another human.

"Nick, I'm sorry but I can't let you go see Trish. Move away from Dave"

"Brian don't be stupid, put the gun down and we'll talk this through" Dave said, slowly inching his way towards my cousin. I kept my eyes down making sure that Dave was not going for a weapon of his own.

"Dave, I can't let Nick leave with you. He stays here got it?"

"Brian put the gun down" I noticed that Brian's hand was shaking viciously. So did Dave. He took three huge steps towards Brian and grabbed the gun away tackling him and making him fall to the ground. I found myself there trying to pull Dave off of my cousin. Nick and AJ now doing the same thing. Howie ran to the door and motioned for the guards, who were sitting in their car, to come and help.

While my attention was focused on Howie, Dave pushed me off of him with AJ soon following, He stood up also pulling Nick to his feet. This wasn't going to be good. Not good at all. I was hoping the guards would hurry up and get in here but "Howie shut that door now!" Dave commanded now holding the gun that Brian had held earlier right at Howie. Howie shut the door and walked back towards AJ and I. Brian just remained on the floor laying down.

Nick started struggling to break free of Dave's grasp. "Let me go" He said.

"Come on we need to go see Trish now. I am running out of time here!"

"What's with the gun man?" AJ kind of made his way behind me now, for which I was kind of happy. If anyone here took a bullet it would be me.

Upon hearing AJ's question, Dave lowered the gun, "Sorry, I just can't have you guys screwing things up. Nick and I need to go see Trish right now" Dave was still holding Nick by one arm the uneasiness really beginning to show it's way through his demeanor.

"You know...on second thought I don't think I want to go see Trish" Nick said, his voice escalated to near panic.

"It's too late for you to change your mind" then Dave looked up at me, "You think you're the only one that has a big stake in this?"

"What is he talking about Kevin?" Nick asked. I didn't answer him. I couldn't.

"Let's go Nick, it will all be over soon"

Before anyone else could protest Dave was out the door with Nick by his side being pulled along. He looked back at us, traces of confusion etched on his face. As he passed by the police car, I was sure they would get out and ask why it was that Dave was pulling Nick but they didn't even move. Nick got into the van, the same one I had been brought to Joe's with, and then they were gone.

Just like that.

When my attention was turned back to the living room, I noticed that my cousin was balling uncontrollably on the floor. Howie was sitting next to him patting his back, "Brian what's wrong?"

"He's gonna kill her"

I felt my eyes widen. I walked close to him and as he looked up at me I asked, "Kill who?"

"Leigh" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Brian who is going to kill Leigh? You aren't making any sense" AJ said now sitting on the other side of my cousin. Both men looked like they were ready to call a paddy wagon. I however understood completely, what I didn't get was why.

"Joe" I said. AJ and Howie looked at me like I was crazy but Brian only nodded.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*

Joe watched from the car that was now beginning to have that familiar smell he loved so much. The smell he kind of missed. The smell of death and decay. Dave was running late. At least five minutes behind schedule and that had Joe mildly worried. He couldn't afford to have his plan go up in smoke now. He laughed at his choice of wording. "Up in smoke, been there done that" He said laughing and smacking one of the dead guards on the back.

Just then he saw Dave leaving the house pulling Nick along, looking like it was against his will. That made Joe sit upright but seeing Nick struggle excited him just a touch. He missed seeing his young lamb squirm. He wanted more then anything else to open the car window and let Nick 'accidentally' see him, but that would have ruined the surprise.

Nick would know soon enough what would be waiting for him when he got home.

Once he saw that Dave's van was gone, Joe got out of the car, happy to breath in some fresh air and walked towards the front door of Nick's house. Yup everything was falling nicely into place.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian sat up now wiping the tears from his face, "How did you know?" He gained enough composure to ask me. I walked over to the sofa and sat down, "Because he threatened to kill Kristin too" I didn't even try to be soft, I figured the jig was up now. Only a matter of time before our worlds came crashing down.

"What are you guys on?" Howie asked, now I knew he was in the dark about everything. Lucky him.

I ran to the phone to call Kristin, see if she was still alive. Praying to God she was, and a wash of relief flooded me when she was the one who answered the phone, "Kris?"

"Hey baby"

"God, are you alright?" I asked her. Brian had run into the kitchen probably doing the very same thing on his cell phone to Leigh.

"Yeah I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"The guy who had you...he"

"What guy? Kevin are you okay?" It was a trick, a rotten dirty trick. I was just about to say that out loud when the front door opened and in walked Joe.

I wanted to scream into the phone, hurry call the police! Maybe if I had, things wouldn't have turned out the way they did. I was silent as he walked towards me, "Tell her you'll call her later" He whispered to me.

"Honey I'll call you back" I said and before she could respond he hung the phone up on us. AJ, Howie and I all stood around staring at him. How was he even in this house? How is this even happening?

"I thought you were dead" Howie's voice sounded like mine when I had encountered Joe earlier. Total shock topped with fear.

"I'm very much alive Howie, but thanks for your concern" Brian came running into the room, "She didn't answer the phone!" He cried. When he saw Joe standing there smiling at him he almost fainted. He wobbled but grasped at a chair easing himself down onto it.

"Aww, were you calling your wife?" I felt goosebumps appearing on my flesh as he walked towards my cousin.

"Did you have her killed?"

"You failed to keep Nick from leaving, you know what that meant" Brian put both of his hands over his head as he bent down and broke into sobs.

"But, you got what you wanted, Nick is going to see Trish" I said, walking over and placed a consoling hand on Brian finding that I couldn't even look at AJ and Howie.

"You're right, But there couldn't be two winners in this game"

"I don't understand" Brian was also trying to figure out what was going on.

"Brian here was supposed to keep Nick home while you were told to make him leave. I basically wanted to see who would be more persuasive to my little lamb. Looks like you won" My cousin and I stared at each other in disbelief.

"And now Leighanne will be killed, care to say goodbye to her?" He asked holding his cell phone out to Brian as he dialed a number.

"You can't please...please don't kill her"

"Yeah it's me....kill her!" Joe said into the phone then silence. He held up the phone so we could all here the two loud cracks that rang out on the other end of the line.

"NOOO!" Brian screamed lunging for Joe, who took two steps back causing Brian to land on the floor.

We had no idea what to do. I had no idea what to do. AJ and Howie just stood in a stunned silence while I walked over to Brian and tried my best to make him feel better. Like that would have been possible. Part of me also felt relieved. That could have been MY wife.

"I don't understand what is happening here. What is happening?" AJ's whole body was trembling.

Joe stepped over Brian, who laid on the floor in a heap of grief, and took a seat on the recliner, "Well, you are in for a show young man. All we are waiting for is our star"

Chapter 23 ~ Who Do You Love? by Mare

I was just plain confused, I was trying to wrap my head around all that had happened in my living room. Brian holding a gun at Dave? Then Dave turning the gun on Howie. Then there was that little part about Kevin having a stake in this. I clenched my fists feeling my fingernails pierce my flash as I did so. I was suddenly terrified of what would come next. I really didn't want to see Trish anymore. In fact I was beginning to not want to see Dave anymore either.

He had been so forceful with me, almost shoving me into his van, then telling me to shut up so he could think when I asked him what he meant by telling Kevin he wasn't the only one that had a stake in this.

I bit my bottom lip and moved my almost bloody palm up to the handle by the window to hold on for dear life as Dave picked up speed and nearly crashed into two cars waiting at a traffic light.

"Dave slow down"

"Can't"

"Why not? What is going on?" He ignored me and continued to make his way down the winding streets leading to the highway. Once on the highway, he finally spoke, the words causing chills to go down my spine.

"Nick, how long have I worked for you guys?"

"Wow for a while. Why?"

"Yes, for a while. In fact I remember when you turned 16. The huge surprise party the guys had for you" I nodded still a little confused.

"We have been through a lot together haven't we?" I nodded again, still not entirely sure where this conversation was going. I wasn't sure I wanted to know anymore, suddenly I wasn't trusting Dave with my life as I so readily used to.

My attention turned to a car that passed us by. It was a red convertible loaded with teenagers. How in the heck could they afford a car like that? One of the girls, a little blonde looked at me and smiled. I smiled back, then they picked up speed and left us behind.

"Dave, what is going on?" I turned to him in wonder as he continued to drive, both hands on the steering wheel at two and ten. Firmly going over the speed limit.

"Remember my son Nick?"

"Yeah...cute little kid, how is he?"

"I don't know, I haven't seen him in a while"

"Dave, if you want a vacation, just say the word, you can take off as much time as you nee.."

"No it's not that easy"

I bit my bottom lip, "Are you having problems with your wife?"

He laughed. I wasn't sure if I should laugh a long or not. Did I say something funny? Or stupid? Not that I would think there was anything funny about having marital problems, so it was probably the latter.

"We can't have problems anymore, she's dead" I felt my jaw drop in surprise. How in the hell did I not know about that.

"God, Dave I'm so sorry"

"Sure you are" His mean words sounded hate filled.

"No, I really am, why wouldn't I be?"

"Because it's all your fault" He took his gaze away from the road and stared at me. All I saw was pure hatred shining in the reflection of his eyes. Hatred for me.

"What? How?"

He remained quiet, refusing to answer my question. How could he possibly leave me hanging with words as accusatory as those? But then I saw why, we had arrived at our destination.

"Don't say a word, let me do the talking" He said as we approached the barb wire gate leading into the prison's parking lot. Visiting hours were long over and now the guards by the gate held their hands on their guns as our van approached.

Dave rolled down his window and smiled at the guards, "Yes, how may I help you?" The one closest to his window asked.

"I am here to pick up my sister, she works in the cafeteria"

"Name?"

"Caroline Craig" The man looked at the staff list and then motioned for the other guard to open up the gate. Once the gate was opened, he waved his hand at the one, while I smiled at the other. Still confused.

Once through we drove around where the workers would normally park and left the car to idle as we waited. "Dave, who the hell is Caroline?"

No answer

"And why aren't we going in to see Trish like you said, I mean you made it sound so important"

He looked at me with his hate filled eyes but again said nothing, only went back to fixing his gaze on the entrance.

"Dave? What the hell.."

"Shut up!" He raised his hand in the air as if to say, next word I'm going to punch you right in the face. I automatically recoiled. My eyes shifted to the front door. I could probably open it and make a run for the inside before he was even out the door. He was bigger but I was faster. I slowly put my hand on the handle, ready to open and run when I heard the locks click. I turned to him and was met with his smile, "Sit tight, you aren't going anywhere"

I nervously wiped away the beads of sweat that were trickling their way down the back of my neck. "You want to know why this is all your fault?"

No, I really didn't.

"Because I didn't do what I should have done over six months ago"

"And what was that?" My voice cracked, edged with fear.

"I should have killed you kiddo" My body started to tremble, I heard my knees knock.

"But NO, I refused so he had my wife killed, actually he may have done it himself. Who the hell knows"

"I don't understand.."

He laughed again but there was a sadness to it, "You are dumb aren't you?"

"Joe?" I asked, like I didn't already know the answer. Like calling a pizza delivery place and asking if they deliver.

He nodded, "But I'm not going to make the same mistake twice" I looked down at the floor, suddenly realizing that this was probably the last time I would be seen alive. In this car, with someone I had thought was a friend, picking up his sister from work. Was he going to kill me here? Or after she got in the car?

"Here she comes" He sat upright. I licked my tears from my cheeks and looked past him to his window, and saw a woman making her way towards our car. "No backing out now" I heard him say under his breath.

Once she was standing right by the sliding van door, he got out and unlocked it for her, this was my only chance to run away. The door was unlocked and I could have gotten out of there, I would have but three words froze me long enough for Dave to get back into the car and lock the doors again.

"Hi sweat pea"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*

Joe watched the scene before him as he sat comfortably, one leg dangling off the side of one of Nicks' big plush chairs. He held the gun down, not aimed at anyone but right at his side, ready to use in a second if need be. He really had no reason to worry since he had tied both Howie and AJ to kitchen chairs that he first had them drag into the living room. Kevin was still lose but very busy trying to console his extremely bereft cousin. Brian was slunk down on the floor holding both hands up to his face and rocking back and forth. Still sobbing uncontrollably. It took all of Joe's strength to not just do everyone a favor and blow his whiny head off right there, but that would have ruined all the fun.

He had sat in silence since telling Brian the news and letting them know the best was yet to come. He couldn't wait to see his sister, but even more so, he was finally going to be reunited with his lamb. Everything always worked out in the end. Just like it was meant to be.

After enough time went by, he decided to start plan B. He moved his dangling leg back to the front of the chair and leaned his elbows on his knees, bending closer to Brian and his cousin.

"How are you doing buddy?" He whispered. He could sound so sincere when he wanted to. So caring.

Kevin gazed up at Joe, "Don't you dare to talk to him you son of a bitch!"

"Kevin, you are very correct. I was indeed the son of quite a nasty bitch! Boy if you hated me you would have hated the hell out of her" He laughed at his own joke, but no one seemed much in the mood for laughter.

"You guys never really did have much of a sense of humor" He stood up and started to walk around the living room, stopping at Nick's fireplace. There so proudly displayed on the mantle piece were pictures of him and his family. "I remember when he had pictures of all of you up here. I guess things change huh?" He moved from the fireplace and grabbed Kevin before he knew what to expect. Kevin struggled in the bigger man's hold but Joe had him in such a strong headlock he was helpless to do much more then follow him.

"Let him go!" Howie said struggling with the ropes binding his wrists in place. Joe glanced Howie's way and smiled, he then brought Kevin into the kitchen and tied him to one of the chairs. Once tied he picked up Kevin in the chair and brought him in, placing him right next to Howie.

"Happy now?" He asked the Latino, who looked ready to puke up everything he had ever eaten because of his nerves.

Happy with how things have turned out thus far, he once again turned his attention on Brian, who in his grief didn't even try to help his cousin break free from Joe when he had the chance.

"You know kid, none of this would have ever happened if you had just left Nick in that cabin with me"

"Shut up! Don't listen to him Brian" Kevin yelled glancing at his cousin's vacant stare.

"Leighanne would be sitting with you in your living room in Georgia laughing and smiling. Didn't she have a beautiful smile?"

"I said shut up!" Joe ignored Kevin and continued, "You know, if you weren't here because of Nick constantly needing your attention, you would have been there with her right now. Not here mourning" As Joe moved closer to him, Brian pulled his head down, staring at the floor.

"You know if I were you. I would hate Nick right now. If he had only listened to you.."

"Damn it!! Brian don't listen to this screw ball he is insane" Joe snapped his head over to AJ and moved at him with such ferocity that AJ actually let out a scream. "Don't you ever call me INSANE!! Do you understand?" He said clasping AJ by the neck and spitting the words into his face. AJ trembling in fear just nodded. Once Joe saw that, he let go, "Okay...good then" He walked back over to Brian and knelt by his side.

Brian still refused to make eye contact with this man. He didn't think he would ever be able to make eye contact with anyone ever again. "So like I was saying, all he had to do was listen to you and Leighanne, bless her heart, would still be alive"

"You still would have killed her" He said in such a low sad voice Joe had to move in to hear him.

"NO I wouldn't have. This is all Nick's fault. Aren't you mad at him?"

"No"

"Well, you should be. Think about it Brian, how many times did you have to leave her side because of him?" Brian began to ignore Joe again, it was making him mad, he thought it was going to be easier to infuriate Brian.

"All the late night phone calls, all the time you had to come here because he was too scared to be alone"

"He was scared of you" Kevin yelled from across the room.

"I know, but even still. Did you know that once Leigh called here and he didn't give you the message?" That made Brian look up, once he saw Brian's tear stained face he continued, "That's right. I was watching" Joe pointed to the monitors, "He took the call, rolled his eyes and then deleted the message"

"I'm not listening to you anymore"

"Do you think if the tables were turned, he would just be sitting here listening to me like you are, being as wussy as you are?"

Brian didn't respond.

"No! He would have came at you with his bare hands, probably strangled you to death"

Brian sighed and wiped at a few stray tears. "But then again, he REALLY loves HIS family"

"I love my family"

"Oh yes I see that" Joe rolled his eyes.

"What do you know?" Now the anger Joe was hoping for made it's way across Brian's face.

"I know that if you really loved Leighanne, when Nick walked through that door you would kill him yourself"

"I would never hurt Nick"

"Yes, you would. In fact you were ready to give him right to me, tell me how that is so different. Seems like you and me are a lot alike aren't we?"

"Shut up" Brian held his hands to his ears. "Brian if you don't do this. No one in your family will ever be safe. Think I'll just finish with Leigh? No, she was just the beginning. Think about your Mom and Dad Brian, think about your brother"

"No!" He started to cry once again. Joe walked over and handed him the gun, "You just aim at the door, and pull the trigger. Simple as that"

Brian looked at his bandmates who were all terrified and crying. Their lives would never be the same after tonight. No matter what happened.

"So, what do you say? Do you want it to end tonight?" Brian nodded, he took the gun from Joe.

"I do" Brian said quietly as he stood up and turned the gun around in his hands.

"So all it comes down to is who you love. Who do you love Brian?" Joe backed away looking at his handy work.

"Leighanne" he said as he closed his eyes, aimed the gun at his own head and pulled the trigger...

Chapter 24 ~ The Straying Sheep by Mare

I couldn't help but stare at her as she placed her seatbelt around her waist, looking up at me and smiling as she did it. She seemed so calm and collected. Prison aged her a bit, she looked pale and her once bright full head of hair had now started to turn a slight shade of gray.

"David sweetie, you might want to go now before anyone starts to miss me"

Now Dave on the other hand, was so nervous he could barely control the shaking of his hands. I decided to put my seatbelt back on since I had a feeling this was going to be one hell of a bumpy ride.

"If they ask you..."

"I know, I'm your sister"

"They won't ask though, but just in case" She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Dave, it's going to be okay, they won't even know I'm gone until it's way too late"

"How?" I asked, still straining to look back at her. It's weird, she was almost like Medusa to me. So evil but I was entranced. How was it that she was sitting in this car with me, when she was supposed to be in prison for the rest of her life? Was it that easy to escape a high security prison or was this all a really rotten dream?

"I'm in solitary, I got into a fist fight and they put me in solitary for three days. Just like we had planned"

"But won't they notice you're not there? I mean you just can't leave" That's when it finally dawned on me, I was aiding a fugitive. One that I had help put behind bars myself.

I knew what I needed to do, I needed to let those guards at the gate know. Not sure how exactly, but I would. I clenched the door handle with my hand as Trish answered my question.

"But I am in there Nicky my love. You see, they never fully open the door when you are in solitary, they give me my meals through a slot. They also peer in from time to time to make sure I'm still alive" She licked her lips and looked at herself in the rearview mirror, frowning she continued, "One of the cafeteria ladies agreed to switch places with me. A guard who follows my brother, helped make the switch. It all worked out fine"

"Follows your brother?" I was totally confused, this was all a bit much. There were so many questions I had. So many things I needed to know. Not that any of it mattered anymore, that much I figured out already.

"His Apostles sweet pea. Like Dave here" I looked over at Dave in disbelief, well not in total disbelief because I never knew who to trust anymore. But then she said..

"And Kevin and Brian" The names of my two friends hung in the air right over my head before piercing through my heart like a cold steel blade.

I looked back at her, eyes opened wide with shock, "What did you say?"

"You weren't supposed to tell him that"

Trish leaned in and placed both hands on the back of David's seat, "And why not? Doesn't he have the right to know?"

"Joe wanted to tell him"

I listened to the words they were saying but I just couldn't comprehend anymore. Tears just started to come down my face. "Howie and AJ too?" I managed to choke out.

"No kiddo, not them, besides they couldn't help it Nick they..." Dave abruptly stopped as they neared the gate, "Okay remember we are calm and cool!" He placed a forceful hand on my arm, "Right" I nodded.

"If you mess this up in any way Nick, my brother will kill your friends so I would just do what Dave asks okay honey muffin?"

How insane do you have to be to threaten the lives of four other people and then end the statement with honey muffin?

Dave slowed down and opened his window as we approached the gate, adrenaline rushing through my veins. Trish sat back and pulled the baseball cap that was sitting next to her on her head and lowered it down trying to cover her face as much as possible.

Dave waved to the guards as we passed them by but his smile quickly faded when he saw one of the guards motioning for him to stop. I felt my breath catching in my throat and think I actually may have started to hyperventilate. If these guys found Trish in this car, my friends were dead. That's what she said. "Calm down!" Dave hissed at me, "You look guilty a sin"

"Gun?" Trish whispered pretending to be asleep in the back.

"Yup right under my seat"

"Is there a problem officer?" Dave said, a relative calmness heard in his voice.

"The guard took his flashlight and shined it in the van. I held up my hands to avoid the sudden brightness. If this man recognized me, the jig was going to be up and fast. Dave's hand searched under his seat. I was just bracing myself for what might happen next.

"I wanted you to know that your back right tire is very low, you might want to go put some air in it before it blows" Immediately Dave moved his hand away from where his gun was and relaxed it at his side.

"Thanks man, will do" The guard gave him a salute and then walked away from the car.

Trish started laughing from the back. More like cackling actually. "See, My dear heart? It's all part of God's plan don't you think so David?"

Dave looked tired and drained, "Whatever you say, I just want my son back. I could give a damn what happens to you or your brother"

"Aw, poor Davey. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. First losing your lovely wife and then your son being taken away"

I noticed Dave's grip tighten on the steering wheel. "I am on a mission from God Dave. It will all be over soon enough I promise. Nicky are you ready?" I refused to answer her. Why I wasn't arguing, kicking or screaming, I have no clue. I just sat in that van lost and silent. Probably like how people reacted hearing the drums beating outside their prison walls waiting to go before the guillotine. A quiet calm before the storm.

She paused a little while before continuing, "How does my brother look these days anyway?" She took off her baseball cap and tossed it back on the seat, grabbing a hair tie from her pocket she placed her hair up in a make shift bun.

"Same, but crazier" I actually laughed when Dave said that. How in the world did I manage that?

"Better not let him hear you say that David, my brother takes his sanity very seriously"

"What's going to happen next?" I unlocked my seatbelt and turned my body to see Trish. She smiled at me sympathetically, "I know it hasn't been easy for you Nick. I really do and I'm so sorry" For just a minute, there she was. The Trish that I had known for years and years, the Trish who's shoulder I cried on more then once. The Trish I loved like an older sister or Mother. Before honey muffin's or sweet pea's came into the picture.

"It's going to get harder isn't it? Please tell me, I deserve the right to know what I am walking into"

"Nick, believe me I hate this more than you do" Now Dave seemed to relax into his normal personality, well besides being a liar and fink.

"What do Kevin and Brian have to do with any of this?" I allowed myself to ask. I wanted to know, felt I deserved the right to know how it was that those two guys could have ANYTHING to do with it. I was hoping it wasn't willing.

"Joe has something that Kevin and Brian want sweet pea" Oh, God, that's when I knew. He had Kristin and Leighanne.

"Are they okay?"

"I hope so, but to be honest Nick, I think one of them might already be dead"

"Oh my God...who?" I asked already shedding tears at their betrayal.

"Leighanne"

I put my hand up to my mouth, Leigh was dead because of me? "How? I mean why?"

"God's will" Trish said from the back seat. I put my hands up to my face and cried for Leighanne. Cried for Brian and how bad he must have been feeling, and crying for myself at how horribly I had been betrayed by everyone. I was almost glad it would all be over soon. I found I no longer had a burning desire to live. Maybe Trish was right, maybe it was God's will. Why else would he put me through this hell?

"This world is an ugly ugly place Nicky. An ugly place" She said almost sing song like as we traveled up the highway and back towards my house.

~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The room was quiet. Time seemed to stand still as Brian placed the gun up to his temple and pulled the trigger. He had closed his eyes hoping to not see the shot that would soon end his life, while suddenly the room burst forth in noise. Kevin, AJ and Howie all yelling and struggling with so much aggression that they actually tumbled themselves over, lying splayed out on the ground. They looked like tied up dying fish Joe thought. Then the sound...

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

All the boys looked up from their positions waiting to see their friend, cousin, and brother fall dead to the floor. The sight before them was almost as scary, Brian holding the gun at his head and firing shot after shot. Eyes now open but staring blankly.

CLICK

After the last click of the gun, Joe walked over and pried the gun out of Brian's hands, "Did you actually think I would give you a loaded gun?" He took the gun and held it to his own head pulling the trigger to nothing but a click.

"Tsk tsk tsk....Don't think so" Joe then pulled Brain over to where the rest of them were on the floor and sat him down on a chair, binding his arms and legs. "I just wanted to see what you would do, I have to admit Brian, you surprised me a little" Brian looked at him, with a blank stare. "I recognize that stare Brian" He went over and picked Kevin back up to a sitting position and did the same with the other two, "I had that very same look on MY face as I laid there dying in my burning house" He felt Kevin's death glare penetrate his head as he continued to calmly talk to Brian, "You know what I mean? you kind of get it in your head that you will die, you pray to whatever you think exists out there and beg for forgiveness to anyone that will listen"

Brian didn't seem to be listening to him at all, so Joe slapped him in the face, "Snap out of it boy!"

"Leave him alone! Haven't you done enough?" Howie cried out. It seemed that the other two had reached the stage of being beyond words.

"Brian, I really thought I was going to die, imagine how I felt knowing that I would burn to death and that it was your fault it was going to happen? Well you and your stupid cousin over there" He moved back to his original spot on the chair once again hiking his leg up onto the arm. "I was mad when he came and got me out of the fire at first. I was that set on dying"

"Who saved you?" Kevin finally found his voice again after watching Brian almost die.

"Some guy, I guess he saw the fire and tried to do a good deed"

Then for no reason he started to laugh. "Don't you see? You can't kill me, I'm indestructible!"

"No you aren't" AJ said keeping his head bowed down staring at his bound feet. Joe stood up and pretended to walk towards AJ, hoping to see that familiar wince. When he did he laughed and sat back down. Joe smiled at them all, this was working out rather nicely.

"Aw heck I can't keep this up anymore" All eyes turned to Joe.

"Leighanne is fine. No one was going to kill her or Kristin for that matter. They were never in danger at all"

"What?" Brian asked now pulling his head up and coming back from the faraway place he had been since hearing the news in the first place.

"You're lying, she's dead"

Joe walked over to Brian picking up his cell phone. He dialed Brian's home phone number and held it to his prisoner's ear as it rang. "As soon as she picks up I'm hanging up" He said as he watched for Brian's reaction.

The phone rang three times before she answered, "Hello?"

When Brian heard the voice of his wife on the other end of the line he instantly began to cry. Before she could identify his voice, Joe pulled the phone away and hung up.

"I lied" Joe said raising an eyebrow and glancing back and forth from Brian to Kevin, "I lied to you both to get you back for ruining my plans in the first place. If it weren't for the two of you, I would have never had to go to this extreme, I would never have had to watch as my sister went to jail and Nick would not have to go through what I am going to put him through now" Everyone was stunned. Wanting so much to be happy but yet knowing something horrible was soon to come.

"Don't you see? Now not only does Nick have to die in front of all of you, but he will die feeling like he has no friends in the world"

"You are a sick son of a bitch" Brian growled, Joe smiled at him, "What does that make you then?"

Joe turned towards the door as he heard the sound of an approaching car, and the headlights shining into the living room made his smile widen, "Ah...looks like the show is about to start" He moved towards the door and stood just waiting for it to open.

~*~*~*~*~*~

As we entered my driveway and passed by the police car that still seemed to have the guys who had been playing cards earlier in it, I knew they must have been dead. An overwhelming sense of dread overcame me and I found myself shaking. My knees were actually knocking against one another.

"Alright, let's get this over with shall we?" Dave said as he looked at me with such anguish. He opened his door and Trish slide herself out of the back. I understandably had no burning desire to go anywhere and waited until I was pretty much pulled out of the car by force. Why make this easy?

Dave grabbed my arm and pulled me to my front door. I heard my dogs ferociously barking in their pen behind the house. How I wished I had let them in earlier today. Trish and Dave looked at each other, I only stared ahead at the door knob. I knew he was on the other side of that door. I also knew my friends, or enemies, whatever you called them were there too.

"No matter what happens", I whispered to myself as I was pushed into the lead, "This is no ones fault but Joe and Trish"

Dave started for the door, ironically by instinct. Always the first person through to asses the area for danger or threats. I really believed by the look in his eyes, he wanted to go first. He didn't want to be doing this.

"I think you need to go first buddy" Dave said as he moved out of the way. I gave him a smile, why die angry right? Then I looked back at Trish who had a look of deep concentration on her face. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

I took two steps in before I saw his face. "Welcome back my little lamb" He said, before I felt a very hot burning sensation in my mid section. I felt weak as I heard shouts of NO!! in the background. I looked down at the bloody knife that Joe was holding, the same one that had just found it's way into my stomach.

Chapter 25 ~ Fraternal Correction by Mare

It hurt at first, but not as much as I had always imagined it would hurt. You know you see movies when someone is stabbed in the stomach or chest and they just kind of look surprised, but not in pain. That must've been what it looked like for me. The shock of it happening, far outweighed the level of pain. In fact, it sounded as if it hurt my band mates more then me by the way they were screaming and crying out my name.

I pulled away from Joe as he watched, smiling wide. I didn't want to fall on him, but my ever weakening knees started to buckle so I grabbed onto his shoulders before I completely lost my balance. He lowered me down to the floor, his eyes locking on mine while that smile remained on his face.

"Welcome home by pet" He whispered to me. Once my body was lowered to the floor and I laid still on my back, that's when the pain hit. It's hard to describe really but I'll try my best, it felt more like a burn then a stab. Maybe that's how it's supposed to feel. I don't know, but it burned, from the inside out. My stomach felt like it was on fire and the pain was rapidly making it's way upwards. I found myself gasping for breath, even though I was having no trouble breathing at all.

Joe stood up and walked over to Trish who looked as surprised as I had. He grabbed her in a hug and twirled her in a circle while holding her in his arms. "Trish, I have missed you SO much" He kept saying over and over again. Every time her face passed my still form, she looked down and winced.

Dave made his way over to me and placed his hand on my stomach, I let out a yelp of pain, "It's not that bad" He whispered, but when his hand came away from my abdomen, it was covered with blood.

The yells of the guys started to be a little more defined as I was now beginning to make out words, "Nick say something please!" I turned my head, careful to keep the rest of my body still and glanced over to the voices. Kevin was the one speaking to me. The other's mouths were moving but I couldn't make out what they were saying. My vision was also growing blurry.

I think I might have been dying.

"A figure was making his way over, Dave got up and ran towards the big turtle, at least that's what it looked like to me, a big turtle. I like turtles.

"Let me go!" The turtle cried out. I tried to tell Dave to stop but I couldn't get any words out. So, I just watched as Dave grabbed the turtle and dragged him back towards the fireplace. He screamed the whole time.

Joe walked over to me again and kneeled at my side, Trish was next to me too. She held my hand in hers, "Everything's okay Nick"

"Don't lie to him Trish"

She looked back at me and smiled, I closed my eyes thinking she had a great smile.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Nick closed his eyes, everything stopped. The shouts from the other boys, the struggle, the pain in their eyes as well as Trish's. No one moved or spoke. Joe leaned over the boy and placed his hands on his neck to check for a pulse, "He's alive boys, don't fear. I only gave him a little jab with that thing, you know, to get him ready for the real event"

"He looks so peaceful when he's asleep. I always thought he looked like an angel" Trish added bending over Nick, wiping away some of his hair from his face and kissing him gently on the forehead.

"YOU STAY AWAY FROM HIM!!" AJ said once again knocking himself down and trying to crawl over to where Nick lay unconscious, dragging the chair he was tied to with him. Dave followed AJ closely, the last thing he wanted was anyone else to get hurt tonight. Joe turned his eyes towards AJ and started to laugh, "Relax Alex, it's probably best that he isn't awake anyway. He is going to have a long night ahead of him"

"What are you going to do to him?" Brian asked his gaze still transfixed on Nick's lifeless body, blood visibly seen pooling under him.

"You don't really care do you?" Joe walked over towards Brian once more while Trish remained at Nick's side, holding his hand and sweeping her other hand across his flushed face.

"Of course I care, we all care"

"Okay then, well obviously I'm going to kill him"

"No!" Kevin yelled, his tone deep and fierce.

"You are in no position to order me around boy"

"Joe, haven't you caused us all enough pain? Why don't you just go away and leave us all alone?" Brian asked looking up through hate filled eyes.

"Brian, I promise you, that this will all be over soon enough"

"What about us?" Howie dared to ask, "What are you going to do with us after you kill Nicky?" He spoke the word kill as if it would do that very thing to him. Slowly and methodically spitting out the word.

He smiled and walked back over to Nick, caressing his sister's hair and then grabbing Nick's collar and dragging him along the floor closer to where his band mates were stationed. As he slid along the floor he left a trail of blood dotting a path across the room. Kevin couldn't even stand to look at Nick or the blood. On the other end, there was Brian who seemed to be entranced by it. Staring his unblinking eyes at his little brother. This all seemed so pointless. All of it.

Joe interrupted Brian's thoughts by taking a seat right next to Nick on the floor, keeping his hand placed on Nick's heart as he spoke. The contact brought about a moan from the unconscious one. Who grimaced and licked his lips but did not open his eyes.

"Brian, you're a man of faith aren't you?" Brian still staring at Nick had no desire to answer Joe or even acknowledge his presence.

"Okay fine, be that way..I happen to know the answer to that question anyway" Joe was acting like a child. He stuck his tongue out at Brian before resuming his very serious, and half crazed trance he seemed to have about his words and movements. Trish came over and stood behind him putting a protective hand on his shoulder.

"In the book of Matthew, Brian, there are many great parables in there. I think that's why out of all the chapter's in my Father's book, that one is my favorite, well besides the book of Revelation that is" He kept his hand on Nick's chest and the look on Howie's face made it seem like he was trying to move it with his mind. Brian still stared at Nick's slightly opened eyes as Joe spoke.

"In Matthew chapter 18, he talks about a man who has a herd of 100 sheep. When one leaves the flock what happens?" Brian ignored him, just focusing on Nick, but when Joe pressed his hands harder onto Nick's chest to the point of it being physically uncomfortable for his friend, he was forced to answer.

"He goes and looks for the one sheep" Joe smiled, took his hand away from Nick briefly and clapped, "Very good. See? I knew you have read that before" Then he turned his gaze down to Nick, "See Nicky? Brian read the Bible. Too bad you didn't" His gaze once again focused on the Backstreeters, "I tried to get this boy to read the Bible while he was my guest, but he refused"

Joe stood up using Nick as an anchor for his weight. Nick groaned as Joe lifted himself off the floor. Kevin looked ready to spring from his chair. "You see? The shepherd left all the other sheep, all 99 of them, to tend to the one that got away" He moved so close to the angry Kevin that Kevin could've taken a chunk out of his ear if he wanted to. He actually sat on top of Kevin and continued, "See Kevin, because that one sheep got away, the shepherd just concentrated on that one because he knew that when he finally did catch that sheep, it would make him ecstatic" Kevin turned away from him and tightened his face. Howie tried to stop Kevin knowing what he was ready to do, but it was too late. He turned back towards Joe and spit in his face, "If you kill that boy, you better kill me first because I swear to God I will tear you from limb to limb"

Joe smiled and laughed, then licked Kevin's spit off of himself before standing up and kicking Nick as he walked away. Nick didn't even budge when he was kicked which had the other's frantically searching his eyes again. Luckily they were met with Nick smiling at them. How he could smile was beyond them all.

Joe was over by Trish who was whispering something consoling into his ear. Once happy again he turned back towards the boys, this time concentrating on Nick again. He squatted down close to him, "Okay my little lamb, this next one is for you" He was speaking in an oddly gentle voice, even a little high pitched for his low gruff voice.

"In the same chapter of Matthew, right after the parable about the sheep, Jesus says if your brother commits some wrong against you, go and point out his fault" He pretended to get sad almost near tears as he continued, "Nick, it pains me to tell you this, but I have to tell you about a wrong two of your brothers have committed against you" Nick closed his eyes, knowing what would come next but not really excited about it, "Kevin and Brian were ready to betray you tonight Nick. In fact, they have been for a very long time. It was Kevin who sent you to me" Nick kept his eyes closed but now was joined by Kevin and Brian who both found no more strength in them to keep their own eyes open.

"Brian has been betraying you this entire time. He would have had me kill you my lamb" Joe was annoyed that he didn't even see so much as a tear come down from Nick's eyes. This made his tone harden a bit, "Didn't you hear me Nick? Your friends, the people you look to as brothers both totally sold you out to me" Nick kept his eyes closed but then began to laugh.

This totally surprised them all but infuriated Joe, who watched with a total look of disgust on his face as Nick opened his eyes, sat up and continued, "You loser! I already knew that. And the only reason they sold me out was because you had threatened to kill their wives. I would have done the same thing if I were them"

Joe's face turned a shade of red, "What did you just say?" Howie glared at Nick with big warning eyes, afraid that if he angered the man anymore, he would end up dead instantly. Nick took a deep breath and sat straight up this time, Howie could tell it took every ounce of strength he had to do that. "I said, I already knew" Then he managed to scoot over to where Brian was and placed a hand on his knee, "I'm so sorry about Leigh Bri, I really am"

That made his friend smile as a tear came down his face, feeling a great sense of relief, he gladly said, "She's alive Nicky. It's okay. Kris is too" He then looked over to Kevin and gave him a reassuring smile.

Kevin mouthed the words I'm sorry but before Nick could react, Joe flew off the handle, "What do you mean you knew? Who the hell told you?" He grabbed Nick up by his collar and stood him on his feet. "Get the hell off of him" A loud and angry Howie called as AJ once again struggled to break free. Joe was in a new world and didn't even care what else was going on around him, "Who told you? Answer me dammit!" He was shaking Nick violently by his collar, Nick struggling to break free of his grasp. Dave just looked on unsure of what to do.

It was Trish that made the first move, "I told him sweetheart"

Joe stopped shaking Nick and dropped him to the floor. He fell in a heap and immediately huddled himself up in a ball. Joe turned to his sister and started to slowly walk up to her, her face showing no sign of fear but her legs moving backwards with every step he took towards her.

"How could you do that to me?" He was shaking now, "Honey calm down, I had no idea you didn't want him to know"

"You ruined my plans" He didn't even sound like himself anymore, his voice very low and almost sounding demonic. "You ruined it all! He was supposed to die feeling like he had no friends in the world and you ruined that" He then swiftly moved over to his sister and slapped her in the face so hard that she went sailing across the floor.

"Joe!!" Nick screamed now making himself stand, his legs still very wobbly but his voice didn't reflect the weakness his body was feeling. Joe sprung around at the mention of his name.

"It doesn't matter if she told me or not! I knew they were my friends. Your little plan failed!"

"Not quite" Joe said grabbing his knife once again and headed for Nick...

Chapter 26 ~ Eli Eli lema sabachthani by Mare

They say that right before you die, you see a light, and hear the sounds of angels singing. At least that is what my grandparents used to tell me. Maybe it was their way of helping me to cope with their deaths, maybe it was a way of having me come to grips with my own one day. But when I saw Joe charging at me with knife in hand, knowing full well I was going to die, I didn't hear angels singing, I didn't see lights. All I saw was hate.

This man hated me so much he was going to kill me, for doing nothing more then simply existing. Sure he called it love. He called me a lamb, even possessive calling me HIS little lamb, but when it came down to it, he hated me enough to kill me. I didn't run. I didn't try to block myself from the blow. In that moment, at that time, I wanted to die. I wasn't sure if I wanted to live in a world where people like this man and his crazy sister existed. I didn't think I wanted to deal with the pain all of this was going to cause. So I just stood there smiling as he came at me. If nothing else I wanted to show him that in the end, he didn't scare me.

Trish on the other hand had her own agenda.

"JOE! Wait!!" Joe stopped, dead in his tracks and looked back at his sister. When she saw that she had his full attention, she continued, "Baby, we have to do this the right way. Don't you think? I mean we have to do this the way it was intended"

He turned to look at me again and smiled. "I know. You're right. Mom was telling me to do it now"

"I know sweetheart. But don't listen to her okay? Listen to me" He walked over to Trish and hugged her.

I fell to the floor, I had no more strength. I couldn't deal with this anymore. I looked over to my friends, who I temporarily forgot were even there with a look of total defeat on my face. They all seemed lost in their own thoughts. I think their brains had shut down just like mine had.

Joe was blubbering like a complete idiot in his sisters arms. I forced myself up off of the ground and inched a little closer to them, not even caring about my miserable life anymore. I wanted the guys to come out of this okay. If I could figure out a way to get them out of there, I would die a happy man. So I inched closer and closer to them as she talked about their parents as if they were standing in this very room with us. To Joe, maybe they were.

Kevin was the first one to realize that I was slowly making my way over to where he was sitting. He started to fidget and play with the ropes that bound his wrists to the chair. They all did. Dave was looking out the front window, making sure nothing askew was going on out there. So I slowly walked past Trish and Joe and headed towards Kevin.

"But they hate me Trish. Mom and Dad think I'm a wuss"

"No they don't dear"

"Yes they do. She is telling me right now! SHUT UP I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!"

The pain was stopping me from making it all the way. I had to sit back down on the floor. I knew the cut wasn't that deep. Not fatally deep but it still hurt like a bitch and I had to hyperventilate before getting it under control. All the guys could do was look on in fear.

"I am not a wimp dad I will kill him! I will!" Joe was screaming. Trish grabbed onto him tighter, tears streaming down her own face. She looked over at me, I actually stared up at her. She didn't make a sound or a motion to let her brother know what I had planned on doing.

"You need to calm down Joseph. Mom and dad can't hurt you anymore"

"I know but they will never leave me alone. I just want them to leave me alone"

I was now only inches away from Kevin, choosing to crawl to him instead of stand up and face that level of pain again. He turned showing me his bound hands and I started to work at the knot.

"Comeoncomeoncomeoncomeon" He chanted like a mantra as I did my best to undo his hands but my own were slippery with my blood and no matter how hard I tired, I couldn't get the knot out.

"Nick he's coming back" Brian whispered. I bowed my head ready for whatever would come next. Joe grabbed me up from the floor and threw me to the middle of the room.

"What do you think you are doing little lamb?"

"Let them go Joe. Please" I begged, looking back at my friends.

"No, you stay...they stay"

Trish was now holding a gun. Loading it up with bullets. "Why the gun?" I asked.

"Because first you die then it's their turn"

"NO!" I screamed, tears of frustration finally falling from my eyes.

"Oh come on Nickolas, you didn't actually think I would let them live did you?"

I couldn't answer. I was beyond words or rational thought anymore. I just laid there not saying a word. Turns out I would die crying instead of smiling. Giving Joe complete and total satisfaction. Joe nodded to Trish and then he swiftly brought my already tired body to a full on laying down position.

"Now it will be done the way it should have been all along" He said grabbing the little knife once again in his hands, still red with my own blood. I looked up at Trish, she was standing directly over her brother like his shadow. The gun raised in the air. Pointed right at me.

"Father into your hands I condemn this spirit..." He was praying over me, I wasn't listening. Instead I looked over at my brothers. I wanted to tell them so much, beginning with how sorry I was for all of this. This shouldn't have happened. I could have prevented it all way back when. They had tears in their eyes and were all frantically struggling to break free.

I found my smile again. And I found my voice "I love you guys" I said refusing to watch the knife go up in the air. Refusing to look at death head on. I wanted the last faces I saw, to be the ones of the people I cared about. I closed my eyes when I heard Joe now screaming the words "Mizpah Nick!!"

Then the gunshot, it rang through my ears so loudly that I think I may have passed out. I felt something warm oozing onto me as I laid there. Then the dead weight. The smell was too much to bare. It was a rancid hot smell. The sound of screaming and crying forced my eyes open. I saw Trish kneeling beside me on the floor rocking back and forth. Crying hysterically.

I was confused. The boys were all silent and just staring at me. Was I dead? Dave walked over and pushed Joe's body off of me. It fell with a huge thud on the floor his glazed over eyes staring back at me. Tendrils of smoke still coming from the hole that the bullet had left in his head.

I heard a scream as the boys continued to struggle with their ropes. "Nick calm down. It's okay just calm down. Your fine Nicky. It'll all be fine" Howie shouted above the screams. Dave walked over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. I was now sitting up, but I didn't remember getting that way. "It's over kid" He said. That's when I realized the screaming was coming from me.

Dave walked over to help loosen the others from their chairs as I sat staring at Trish gently rocking and patting her dead brother's back. As if he had a bad case of the hiccups or something.

"Eli Eli lema sabachthani" She kept saying over and over again. All I could do was stare. thankfully my screaming had stopped shortly after I realized it was my own mouth the cries were coming from.

Trish stopped. It was weird, but she just stopped and stood up. Like she was just able to turn off all of her emotions. She looked over at me and smiled. She really did have a great smile, but it was an unmistakably crazy one.

"I had to do it. I had to make things right. It was my calling Nick. I had to do it"

"Thank you Trish. I don't know how to thank you"

"Don't thank me. It's not over yet" Suddenly her voice turned cold. It made everybody look at her. By now Dave had managed to untie both Howie and Kevin and was now working on Brian.

"It ends today. It ends right now. I must make things right"

She once again grabbed the gun in her hands and I once again tried to hear that chorus of angels. The last word I remember saying was "NO!!!"

The End(Just kidding lol one more chapter to go)
Epilogue: The Exodus by Mare

"Are you sure that's the last thing you remember Nick?" I looked up from the courthouse floor and nodded at the lawyer.

"Thank you Mr. Carter you may step down" I once again nodded this time to the judge and walked out of the courtroom, past the waiting reporters and right into my car. And finally away from this whole mess.

I sat quiet in the back seat, thankful that I had spent the extra money for dark windows. I didn't want anyone to see me inside. Not now or ever again. "How you holding up kiddo?" I felt a reassuring hand on my knee and I looked over at Kevin and smiled. "I'm doing okay"

"It's finally over Nick" Brian whispered to me sitting on the other side of Kevin. I didn't answer him only nodded. Seemed like I only spoke these days when I found it necessary to do so. "You think they are going to find him guilty?" AJ asked from the passenger seat.

"I hope not. He has a son to think about" Howie said pulling out into traffic and heading back to my new apartment.

"NO, they won't find him guilty. He was forced to break her out of prison. I think between all of our testimony plus the other people Joe was blackmailing, they have to let him go"

"I hope so" I muttered under my breath. I didn't want Dave to have to spend any more time in jail for something he was forced to do. I'm lucky I wasn't on trial with him. Breaking a felon out of prison is a big deal. The thing is, I think everyone, including the police understood. When they arrested Dave, which I don't remember happening either, he said he was by himself in the car. The other guys all agreed. The two guards were HAZY on the details so no one questioned anything.

You know the guys have explained to me what happened between Trish killing Joe and me ending up in the hospital so many times, but it's all a fog to me. Like a nightmare I refuse to remember. The doctors said it's common for post traumatic stress syndrome to forget huge details about the events that caused the stress in the first place. Which is ironic because I remembered everything else in complete detail. Right down to me screaming NO! to Trish right before she supposedly blew her brains out.

Brian said they all panicked because they thought she was going to kill me but she smiled at me, stuck the gun in HER mouth and pulled the trigger. He said I was lucky I didn't remember because he wakes up in a cold sweat every night picturing it. Hearing the gun and watching her fall.

According to the guys after I yelled, "No!" I just stood with a blank stare on my face as she dropped to the ground. They said I didn't pass out or lose consciousness at all, but at the same time, I wasn't alert. Kevin slowly walked over and tried to hug me, but I wouldn't let him so he gingerly placed a blanket around me and called the police. That was the end of that. So anticlimactic.

I didn't speak for about a week. Not one solitary word. My family came and went, the guys visited me every day but I didn't respond. Finally one day, Kevin said I looked over at him and asked him if I could have a milk shake. He hugged me and cried. I had no idea why. All I knew was I didn't like him touching me. I didn't let anyone hug me anymore.

"What now guys?" AJ asked.

"Well, I say how about we go get a few pizzas and ice cream and hang out at my place" Howie suggested. They all agreed, I remained silent. "What about you kiddo you up for pizza?" I nodded.

I was in the hospital for a long time. Just like I was the first time around. Howie sold my house while I was gone. The guys and my family packed up my stuff and put most of it in storage for me. In my absence, Howie found me a great luxury apartment. Two bedrooms and a bathroom. Very small and cozy. Best part of it, there was no place for a maniac to hide. It had 24 hour around the clock guards on duty. And it was five minutes away from where Howie lived. I never went back to see my old place. I won't even drive in it's vicinity. My parents agreed to keep my dogs at their place for now. They also said I should maybe consider living in one of their huts in the back. I'll probably take them up on that. For now, I needed my own space, oddly enough.

Before, I never wanted to be alone, now that's all I ever want. When you are alone, no one can hurt you or stab you in the back. Or in a more literal sense, in the stomach. About a week after I was released from the hospital, the other's went back home. We didn't call each other for at least a month. Besides Howie that is, he checked up on me at least five times a day. I think we all needed time to process what had happened.

In fact, this was the first time we had been together all five of us, in 4 months. That's how long ago all this stuff happened. Four months, but feels like only yesterday. I remember driving in my car ready to see them for the first time after going solo and thinking how awkward things were going to be. But now as I sit in this car with all five of them we all seem just as awkward and out of place.

"You're stomach hurt Nick?" I shook my head at Kevin. I hadn't realized I was holding it but I found for some reason, that when I was in a car, my hands naturally found their way to my stab wound. The scar still visible when I take my shirt off. I was lucky, the doctor had told me after I came back to the land of the living. He said if it had gone in any deeper, it would have punctured my liver. I had lost a lot of blood, but I got out of it.

"Think they went to heaven?" The car got very quiet at my elementary question.

"No Nick, I don't believe they did" Kevin answered sitting back and taking out a piece of gum.

"Did anybody go to their funeral service?"

"They didn't have one kiddo"

"Oh" I felt bad for Trish and even Joe in my own way.

"It's not over Brian" I finally answered him. He bent over to look past Kevin, "What did you say Nick?"

"I said it's not over. It's never going to be over. Everytime I go to bed or hear a sound in the hallway. Everytime I get a piece of mail or the phone rings...they had their hands on everything you know?"

"I know"

The car remained quiet for the rest of the ride. Everyone silently mulling over what I had just said, each of them knowing that no matter how much they tried to convince themselves otherwise, we would never feel safe again.

All we could ever hope to do, is move on and learn how to live with it....

The End
End Notes:

Thanks for reading this especially if you have found it for the very first time :O)

 

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8307