Happily Never After by LenniluvsBrian
Summary: Someone is fed up with 'Happily Never After' - but will they ever find a way out? Or will they stick around and be stuck putting up with it?



Okay, not my best summary, but this one is hard to describe.
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5414 Read: 668 Published: 05/19/07 Updated: 05/19/07

1. Happily Never After by LenniluvsBrian

Happily Never After by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Well, my muse finally struck - though, the reason behind it wasn't all that great & it's not exactly BSB related. This story is half based on fact, and half based on fiction. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own characters, except the stranger in the last part. Song is Happily Never After by the Backstreet Boys. Thank-you.

Note: This is not fan fiction, despite the song choice. Baylee, is not Baylee Littrell!

Oh... Oh babe...

"I don't think I want this anymore"
As she drops her ring to the floor
She says to herself, "You've left before" (Yeah...)
"This time you will stay gone, that's for sure"

“Move!” A voice boomed, startling the girl who had been standing in the kitchen doorway holding a can of spaghetti in her hand. She had been debating on whether or not to have the spaghetti for dinner.

The girl moved out of the way, and rolled her eyes as the one who had startled her stuck something in the microwave that she would be using, if she were to decide to eat the spaghetti. She turned and put the can back into the pantry, closed the pantry door and walked briskly on back downstairs, deciding she wasn’t hungry, though she’d hardly eaten anything all day. Besides, her favourite show was going to be on soon, so why should she have to miss it?

Once back downstairs, the girl vented to herself a little, as she flopped down in front of the computer to try and calm her nerves. Only, she’d never got that chance, as the one who’d barked for her to move, called her back upstairs. Figuring she was being called back up for an apology, or hug, or something, she headed on back upstairs smiling a little.

“What?” She asked, standing on the front hall landing.

“If you’re going to eat, then eat! It’s not going to take long for those things to nuke. But don’t be standing in the middle of the kitchen!” The person snapped. “And don’t you dare use that attitude with me!”

“I didn’t even say anything!” The girl cried, though she had but only once she’d been safely downstairs.

“Don’t use attitude with me! Or I’ll give you attitude!” The person yelling at her growled.

“I didn’t even say anything!” The girl exclaimed, as tears began to fill her eyes. She’d been close to tears all day, and as she hurried on back downstairs they began to spill over against her will.

“Why don’t you just lay a beating on her?” Someone yelled, angry with the one who’d yelled at the girl for something incredibly stupid.

She hurried into the back hall of the basement and slid on an old pair of sneakers that sat there upon the floor, and opened the door to the garage moments later, scurrying on outside to escape.

Once in the garage, the girl let her tears fall freely, though she was frustrated beyond belief. It seemed that no one ever called her anymore, unless they were ordering her to do something or needed someone to yell at. It was moments like these that made all the good moments they shared get sent down the toilet with one giant flush.

“I need to get out of this house!” She muttered to herself as she stood out in the garage, alone and in tears. “I need to get out of this house!”

She sniffled and rubbed her eyes, as she realized that even if she did want out, she’d no where to go and no way to get there. She was financially unstable, and had no idea as how to drive, and who knew where her bicycle was – with her luck, buried in the back of the shed, since others had gone out biking without her a few days beforehand. She was thinking back to the one and only time she’d hopped on her bike to take off, a few years beforehand, only having to come back as she’d had to baby-sit that night – really, she’d only bee gone for a frustrating hour, and it was as though no one even cared she’d actually left that time. If it hadn’t been for the fact she’d had to baby-sit, she might’ve never come back to that house.

She cast a glance around the garage, as she tried to calm herself down and figure out what her next move would be. Though really, she’d no choice but to go back inside and hide out in the basement once she was able to stop her unwanted tears.

“I’m such an idiot,” she thought bitterly. “That’s all I’ll ever be. I’ll never be good enough! Obviously, I’m not as important.”

She let her angry thoughts drift back to when she’d had all four of her wisdom teeth pulled, and how they’d all been nice to her – but had not once ever stayed in her room with her as much as they were doing for her younger brother. Obviously, her brother was the baby and always would get the extra attention – especially since he seemed to be able to do most things right. He had a job, and his license, and even a girlfriend who was staying over to take care of him while he suffered through the pain of having no wisdom teeth. He even had a best friend who kept stopping by off and on just to check on him and hang out, though he still wasn’t supposed to talk – even though he kept doing so.

“She yells at me as though I’m ten and not twenty-three, and they wonder why I don’t act my age? I don’t know how, when they keep yelling at me for stupid things!” She spat out angrily, as her tears continued to fall.

After a few more moments of silence, she berated herself for the umpteenth time.

“I’m just not good enough….” She murmured aloud, her eyes filling with those dreaded, unwanted tears once more. “I’ll never be….”

Just then she heard the door open, after having had been out there alone for at least five minutes or so. Suddenly, the overhead lights came on, as she’d left them off in her haste to get out of the house. Her father appeared then, and came over to hug her. As she leaned into him, she began to sob once more.

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” he told her, rubbing her back. “Your mother’s been snapping at me for the past hour, though I’ve no idea why.”

“I didn’t even do anything!” The girl stated, as she hadn’t.

“Yeah, I know,” her father replied, as they finally pulled away.

The girl wrapped her arms about herself again, though she was wearing a heavy jacket and it was only a little cool out and the garage walls that surrounded her were blocking the wind.

“It just feels like every time she calls me, it’s either to order me to do something, or to yell at me,” the girl complained.

Her father nodded, then headed back for the door after unplugging the battery he’d had charging for his cordless drill. “I have to go back in. my food should be ready – you sure you don’t want any?”

“I’m sure,” the girl answered, wiping her eyes on her shirt. “I’m not hungry.”

“You’re not?”

“No.”

“Alright,” her father said, as he went back into the house, closing the door behind him.

The girl followed him in a few seconds later, still wiping her eyes on her shirt. She grumbled slightly as she kicked the shoes she was wearing off, and went to turn the television set on. It was time for her show, though now thanks to her breakdown, she’d missed the first couple of minutes.

She knew some day she’d be able to escape, and finally be her own person and do as she pleased without people constantly yelling at her for it and making her feel like the biggest piece of shit on the planet. But, alas, that day had yet to come – which, was actually her fault, as she’d yet to get enough motivation to learn how to drive, and find another job so she could afford to leave. She was trying, but driving made her paranoid, and she’d learned last summer she just wasn’t fast enough for fast food, no matter how fast she tried to move or how hard she tried – as usual, she wasn’t good enough. And all the nearby jobs involved fast food – and those that didn’t you needed a degree for, or you’d end up just cleaning up after everybody else – and she was sick of cleaning up after people! Yes, she had contemplated college, but the only courses to spark her interest cost an arm and a leg, and were usually filled up by the time she came across them.

Yeah....
And he shouted somethin' as
She dragged the suitcase down the path
To the driveway
She had never gone that far
Normally this would be the time
That she would let him talk her out of leaving
But this time, without cryin'
As she got into her car, she said

“Oh, c’mon Carlie!” Baylee exclaimed. “You can’t just up and leave!

“Watch me!” Carlie snapped, finally fed up with everything that was going on in the household.

She continued to pack her things, while her brother spewed off reasons why she shouldn’t leave.

“I’m supposed to leave first!” Baylee finally said, arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against the door frame to her room.

“And why’s that?” Carlie snapped. “Because you’d the job, the car, and the money first?”

“Well, yeah!” Baylee agreed.

“Grow up, already!” Carlie told him. “It just doesn’t work that way, Bay. I’ve a car now, I’ve money now, and I quit my job so I can up and leave any old time I feel like.”

“But you’re just leaving because Mom got mad at you again,” Baylee stated. “All you hafta do is clean the house up every once in a while.”

“And just why does it always have to be me, Baylee!?” Carlie yelled somewhat. “Even when I didn’t have a job, I was stuck cleaning up after everyone! Why the Hell didn’t you guys just stamp ‘maid’ on my forehead?!”

“You make it sound like you actually do shit around here,” Baylee commented. “When really, all you do is sit on your ass all day and do nothing – unless you’re actually working. I mean, just how many jobs have you had and just how many breaks in between have you stretched out?”

Carlie turned and glared at her brother angrily. “This is exactly what I’m fed up with! I’m sick of being told I do shit around here, when I go around cleaning up after everyone and being ordered around as though I’m a damned slave and not a part of this family!”

“You know, maybe if you tried harder you’d actually fit in and belong around here,” Baylee retorted. “Maybe if you wanted to fit in you would, instead of hanging back and observing everyone instead!”

“And maybe if you all shut-up for once, I could get a word or two in!” Carlie snapped, closing her suitcase and zipping it up. “Maybe you all could actually listen when I talk about things, instead of picking up telephones and dialing them, or picking up books to read, or turning the television up, or cutting me off, or just plain old ignoring me! It shouldn’t matter what I’m rambling about! You’re my family and you’re supposed to listen to me ramble about what makes me happy, whether you like what makes me happy or not!”

Baylee said nothing as he followed his sister down the hall to the entranceway. “And what about Bo? He’s going to miss you, you know.”

“He’s not going to miss me, because I’m taking him with me,” Carlie replied. “I’ve already got his shit in the car.”

“Like Hell you are!” Baylee shouted. “He’s my dog! I rescued him from the bad place!”

“Yeah, and other than buy him food and toys occasionally, that’s all you’ve done for him!” Carlie returned. “Why do you think he goes to you and not me when you’re home, Baylee? It’s not because you’re ‘Dad’ or anything; it’s because he never gets to see you, so when he does he gets all excited and wants attention! And even still, half the time you do spend with him, you treat him like shit!”

“You’re not taking my dog!” Baylee informed her firmly. “I’ll tell!”

“Go ahead and do that then,” Carlie answered. “But, he hasn’t been your dog since the day you brought him home. I’m the one whose been taking care of him, and loving him, and all that. You just pay for him, in order to be able to stake claim on him. Ask anyone – Bo is my dog.”

“Fine! Take him then!” Baylee yelled angrily, moving to get right up in his sister’s face. “But don’t come crying to me when you can’t afford him!”

“Hello, Stupid! You said as soon as I got a job he’d be mine, so he’s mine now and I can afford him, so back off!” Carlie shouted, glaring up at her brother. He may’ve been taller, but he was still younger.

“Don’t you dare call me stupid!” Baylee roared, making like he was going to hit her.

“Why not? You have been calling me it for years!” Carlie snapped, turning and walking out the front door, dragging her suitcases on its wheels behind her.

Baylee stormed out after her. “You can’t leave, Carlie! I still need you!”

“Yeah, to do your laundry,” Carlie replied sarcastically. “If you need me, call me. I’ve a cell phone, you know.”

“You’re not leaving,” Baylee scoffed, trying a different tactic now. “You haven’t the guts too.”

“Watch me,” Carlie said calmly, as she got into her car where Bo was already lying in the backseat awaiting her arrival. She started the car up and pulled out of the driveway, taking off down the street at a quicker speed than normal, though slowing down to the speed limit once she was about a block away from the house she’d lived in for the past six years.

"No, (no) 'Happily Never After' that just ain't for me
Because finally I know, I deserve better, after all
Oh........ (oh oh)
I'll never let another tear drop fall"

“They’ll never understand me,” she murmured softly. “Never. We might as well be two worlds apart – them in their little perfect worlds, and me in mine, which never seems to be good enough for anybody.”

She shook hear head, willing her angry tears back. She would not cry because of them again!

“And you know what? That just ain’t good enough for me. I deserve to be heard, and treated better. I shouldn’t have to stay where I constantly feel like shit, just because they’re my family. It’s because they are my family that it hurts so damned much! So what if I’m not perfect? Nobody is! And who says I even want to be anymore? If being perfect means treating others like shit, then forget it!”

She revved the engine just because she could, and because she felt like it since no one was around to lecture her about it.

“I’m not as stupid as everyone seems to think! I’ve a brain, and I know how to use it! What I like to watch on T.V. and talk about all the time has nothing to do with whether I’m smart or not. It just means I’m passionate about what I watch and what I listen to, and what I feel. And if they can ‘t accept that – well, then they can’t accept me, because that is who I am!”

She huffed, blowing her bangs up off her face, and kept on driving, not once looking back until she was far enough away to know she wouldn’t see any one of them trailing along behind her in their own vehicles.

Fall....
As she drove away she starts to smile (Yeah)
Realized she hadn't for a while
No destination, she drove for miles
Wonderin' why she stayed in such denial

Carlie glanced in her rearview mirror to check on the black lab that was in her backseat, smiling some when she saw that he was staring back at her.

“Well, we’re off,” she told her beloved four-legged friend. “I don’t know where we’re going, Bo, but I’m sure it’ll be better than it was there. I’ll find us some place where we’ll both feel happy, and safe. Some place that won’t make us feel scared and alone all the damn time.”

The dog wagged his tail in response, his brown eyes watching her, showing he was glad she’d taken him with her. He was sitting up on the backseat, looking out the windows excitedly.

“You’re a good boy,” she stated, reaching back to pat his head as she stopped at a stop sign. “I love you.”

Bo replied by moving forward enough to lick her ear while she was driving, causing her to giggle some and jerk her head away.

“Crazy dog,” she half-laughed.

She drove for a while, and suddenly felt herself smiling as one of her favourite songs came on. It was then she realized she couldn’t remember the last time she’d felt so damn happy and free when hearing the song sung by her favourite music group.

“I don’t care who you are, where you’re from, what you did, As long as you love me,” she sang along softly. “Who you are [who you are], where you’re from [where you’re from], what you did, As long as you love me….”

She continued singing along until the song was over, and heaved a huge sigh – whether it was of relief or regret she didn’t know, nor did she care.

“They’re gonna be pissed when they realize I’m gone,” she stated aloud to no one in particular, as she shook her head. “But I had to leave. I wish I’d left years ago, but I couldn’t. Now, now is the right time though – I can feel it. I need a new start, a new place, and a whole lot of new faces. I need a change, if I’m to ever grow up and be able to take care of myself and all that crap.”

She drove for miles, not even sure if she was still in the same country anymore – all she knew was that she was headed south and south would be where she’d stay, until she longed for the glorious snow she loved to see and build snowmen in at Christmas time.

She turned the radio up even more as another one of her favourite songs came to her favourite part.

“I’m on my way [I’m on my way], heading for the sun, that’s where I’ll stay [that’s where I’ll stay]. Do you ever feel like, you need a change, hang out where no one knows your name….”

She bopped her head along to the music, as she rolled down her window a crack to let some air in. “California sounds nice, doesn’t it Bo? I always said I wanted to go. Maybe we’ll head there and play tourist, then head off to somewhere else.”

The dog in the back of the car wagged his tail in response; he didn’t care where they went, as long as he had Carlie with him, he knew he was safe and loved.

Carlie smiled a content smile; she’d always wanted to travel, and why not do so now while in the search of a new place to live? Now was as good a time as any – in fact, now was the right time.

She was laughing about the way
He shouted somethin' as (Shouted something as)
She dragged her suitcase down the path
To the driveway (to the driveway)
She had never gone that far (no no)
Normally this would be the time
That she would let him talk her out of leaving
But this time without cryin'
As she got into her car and she said

Carlie pulled up to a house a few days later, there to surprise someone – one of her best friends in fact, though they’d never met. She would be going to meet up with her other best friend in a couple weeks, but stopped to visit this one first as she was the closest at the moment. She smiled a nervous smile as she knocked upon the front door of the house, and stood waiting for someone to answer.

The door opened then, and the girl who’d answered looked at her a moment, before screaming.

“CARLIE!!!!!”

Carlie laughed and hugged her friend tight; she knew she should’ve called, but she wanted for it to be a surprise.

“Wow! Oh my God! Wow! What are you doing here?” The other girl rambled. “Not that I mind you being here, and I’m sure my Mom won’t mind – but what are you doing here?”

Carlie smirked. “Waiting for you to shut-up, so I can explain.”

The girl laughed and swatted her friend in the arm. “Alright, alright. I’m calm. Explain.”

“I left,” Carlie answered simply.

“You left?”

I left,” Carlie emphasized.

The girl gasped. “Oh my God! Twina! What happened?”

Carlie followed her friend inside, after they had gone to let Bo into the backyard to do his business. They went into the living room and sat down to talk.

“I got fed up,” Carlie answered simply with a shrug. “They pissed me off, so I up and left.”

“About damned time!” The girl exclaimed. “So where are you going now?”

“I’ve no idea,” Carlie admitted. “I just figured I’d drive and see where I end up, and here is where I ended up. I’ll probably end up in Arizona next, to visit my other best friend.”

There was a nod, then a squeal, and a hug in response. “I can’t believe you’re here! After you made all those excuses for me not to come visit last year, and now you’re here!”

“Well, I knew the answer would be no, because the winter weather is unpredictable and people wouldn’t want to have to drive two hours, stay over night, then drive two hours home the next day just to pick you up. Besides, I was too scared to ask for fear of the answer and all the questions that would come with it. You know I don’t do well with that.”

Her friend nodded, and the two of them sat there laughing, as they discussed everything – from Carlie’s departure from home, to where she’d stay while she was in town. In the end, it was decided she’d share her friend’s bedroom with her until she was ready to head off for Arizona.

"No, 'Happily Never After' that just ain't for me (that just ain't for me)
Because finally I know, I deserve better, after all
(That just ain't for me)
Oh........ (oh oh)
I'll never let another tear drop fall"

Two and a half weeks later, Carlie was pulling up to a house in Arizona, where her other best friend lived. She parked her car, got out, and rang the bell – getting almost the exact same reaction she’d gotten the last time, from her friend in Ohio.

“You left! Good for you!”

“Yeah, well, it was either me or them, and I knew they’d never leave, so I did,” Carlie answered, sitting on the edge of her friend’s bed, glancing around.

“Well, I’m glad it was you and that you came to visit. Though, aren’t you tired of driving?”

“A little,” Carlie shrugged. “But that’s why I’m visiting people along the way – along the way to who knows where.”

“Right here!” Her friend smiled. “We can always get that apartment together now.”

Carlie nodded some, before answering. “Give me a few months, and we’ll see where I end up,” she told her. “For all we know, I could very well travel this whole country and end up back in Myrtle Beach – man, I loved it there two summers ago. It felt like home, but without the stress.”

“Nah, I bet you’ll end up in California, trying to hunt down celebrities,” her friend laughed.

Carlie laughed too. “Oh, probably. That’s where I’m headed next – provided I’m even going in the right direction!”

“You know, a map would help.”

“Oh, probably,” Carlie smiled. “I just didn’t feel like playing navigator the whole way though. I mean, who has time to read a damn map, when there’s so much to see right outside your window?”

“True,” her friend agreed, nodding her head. “So how long you going to stay?”

“Couple weeks,” Carlie shrugged. “If your folks don’t mind.”

“Nah, they won’t mind – and if they do, I’ll tell them off,” she smiled.

Carlie laughed and glanced around. “Hey, you got your notebook for the story anywhere? I just might have a few ideas for it, before they reach Thanksgiving – though, I do want them to reach that very badly.”

“Ooh! Let me find it!” Her friend exclaimed, jumping up to rummage through all her notebooks, to find the story Carlie was referring too.

It was then they heard barking, causing them to both peek out of the room and laugh – Bo was chasing Abbie around the house, as the two dogs sniffed and played with one another.

Carlie laughed, realizing the further away from home she got, the happier she felt. And boy, did it feel good to finally be happy.

I'm done, I'm done
Said I'm so done (so done)... Oh yeah
I'm free, I'm free (so free)
Free to feel the way I feel (yeah...)
She inhales a breath, she'd never breathe before
"Don't want no drama, no more...."

Carlie smiled as she looked at the sidewalk before her – yes, the sidewalk. She’d finally made it to California and was standing on the edge of The Walk of Fame, with Bo on his leash next to her and her camera in hand.

She breathed in the California air as she strolled along the street, her head down, as she read each and every name of celebrities that had been lucky enough to get stars on the walk of fame. She’d always dreamed of going to California and sight-seeing, and now she was doing just that.

She hummed to herself as she took pictures of the stars she liked best, and enjoyed the warm sunshine that was beating down on her. It was a nice day, the breeze warm, but still enough to make it not seem so hot.

“I’m sorry!” She exclaimed, after bumping into someone.

“It’s quite alright,” a familiar voice answered, the person watching her as she looked up to stare at them.

Carlie’s head snapped up when she heard the voice. She eyed the person carefully, and smiled when recognition hit.

“Nice day, ain’t it?”

The man smiled in return, grateful she wasn’t going to cause a scene. “Yup, sure is.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, what’re you doing here?”

“We’re finally getting a star,” the man replied. “Seems the fans came through for us, and convinced management to let us have one, after all the hard work we’ve done.”

“Oh, wow!” Carlie breathed. “That’s today? I can’t believe I forgot! Though, I haven’t exactly been on my laptop all that much, since I’ve been traveling.”

“Care to come watch?”

“Gladly!”

“So….you’re traveling?” The man repeated her statement from a few moments before.

“Yeah,” Carlie nodded. “Had to escape – had to find a place where I could be free to just be me, yanno?”

The man nodded his agreement. “Yeah, I know. Maybe even better than you think.”

“I think we know just about the same,” Carlie told him, as they reached the area that had been blocked off for the ceremony.

“Well, I’ll talk to you in a bit,” the man winked. “Don’t go anywhere.”

“Like I’d dream of it,” Carlie laughed, standing where he had insisted she stand, so he could find her easily once the ceremony was over.

She watched happily as her favourite music group finally got a star on the Walk of Fame, snapping a few photos so she could post them up on her one website later for her fellow fans to see. Once the ceremony had ended, she still stood there, awaiting the man’s arrival as he’d promised to come back. She just hoped he wasn’t one to break or forget promises.

“Hey, so whatcha think?”

Carlie looked up at grinned. “I’m so happy for you guys, I could burst!”

“Well, we don’t want that, now do we?”

Carlie laughed. “Nah. Guess not.”

“You doing anything later?”

“You mean other than playing tourist?” She asked, as he nodded. “No. bo and I here were just going to grab some hotdogs and fries and eat them at a park somewhere.”

“Got a number so I can maybe give you a ring sometime?”

Carlie fought to hide the look of shock that wanted to form upon her face. “Uh, yeah, sure. Hold on.”

She reached into her purse and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen, scribbling her cell phone number down on it for him. She’d gotten a new one, so her family would stop calling to harass her; also, so they’d stop trying to force her to come home.

The man smiled and pocketed her number, before taking the pen and paper and scribbling his down. Once he had done so, he handed the pen and paper back to her.

“In case you ever feel the need to talk,” he explained. “You never know when the advice of a stranger can do wonders.”

“Thanks,” Carlie told him, as she turned to be on her way. “You just better answer if I call.”

He laughed, and patted the pocket he’d stuck her number her. “I’ll program you in, so I know who it is.”

Carlie laughed and shook her head. “Maybe I oughta do the same.”

He smirked. “Maybe,” he said, waving. “Have a good day, Hun!”

Carlie turned to grin at him once more. “It won’t be good – it’ll be great!”

She heard him laugh, as they both went about their ways, off to do the things they had to or wanted to do. She knew it’d be a great day, as she knew she was finally free and able to do as she pleased, when she pleased. And as long as she had Bo with her, she knew no harm would come her way, and that she could feel safe enough to move on and get on with her life. Though, maybe some day she’d call home to let them know she was okay – but, today was definitely not that day.

'Cause she says
"No, 'Happily Never After' (after) that just ain't for me
Oh...
I know, (I know) I deserve better, after all
Oh........ (Don't wanna be)
I'll never let another tear drop fall
I'm done, I'm done
'Happily Never After' that just ain't for me (I'm free, I'm free) (That just ain't for me)
Because finally I know, (I'm done, I'm done) I deserve better, (I'm done, I'm done, I'm done) after all
I'm free, I'm free Oh........ (oh oh oh)
I'll never let another tear drop fall"
I'm done, I'm done, I'm done
So done (Yeah...)
I'm done, so done
Said "I'm done, I'm done, I'm done"
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8462