You're a Part of me Now by sarahmarie0727
Summary: Alex McIntosh has never been the "it" girl. She's always had her nose shoved way too far into her laptop's treasures than to really make much notice of the rest of society. She comes up with a grand idea to use a man that is known for treating women like property instead of what they are (women). In her escapades, she will document her experiences and create a novel. And who might the man be that falls into the hands of Alex McIntosh? None other than the famous Nick Carter.

(Summaries aren't my forte. Please read and just see what you think!)
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 30538 Read: 43297 Published: 06/10/07 Updated: 07/14/07

1. Prologue by sarahmarie0727

2. Chapter 1 by sarahmarie0727

3. Chapter 2 by sarahmarie0727

4. Chapter 3 by sarahmarie0727

5. Chapter 4 by sarahmarie0727

6. Chapter 5 by sarahmarie0727

7. Chapter 6 by sarahmarie0727

8. Chapter 7 by sarahmarie0727

9. Chapter 8 by sarahmarie0727

10. Chapter 9 by sarahmarie0727

11. Chapter 10 by sarahmarie0727

12. Chapter 11 by sarahmarie0727

13. Chapter 12 by sarahmarie0727

14. Chapter 13 by sarahmarie0727

15. Chapter 14 by sarahmarie0727

16. Chapter 15 by sarahmarie0727

17. Chapter 16 by sarahmarie0727

18. Chapter 17 by sarahmarie0727

19. Chapter 18 by sarahmarie0727

20. Chapter 19 by sarahmarie0727

21. Chapter 20 by sarahmarie0727

22. Chapter 21 by sarahmarie0727

23. Chapter 22 by sarahmarie0727

24. Chapter 23 by sarahmarie0727

25. Epilogue by sarahmarie0727

Prologue by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
So, I've returned! I'm probably known for my reputation of not completing stories on this site, and I fully understand why and accept that. I was away for a while because my internet was shut off. But now I'm back! And to be honest? I don't have the motivation/inspiration to continue any of my standing stories. So, for that, I apologize. However, this one kinda came out a few nights ago, and it seems interesting (to me, at least). The prologue is short (I'm determined to make the chapters longer) but I really just want to get feedback from the readers to see if it looks enjoyable or not.

So please!
Read and Review!!
“Shit, Alex. Turn off that God damn computer, would you?!” Kerstin Andrews emerged from her bedroom into the living room of the small two bedroom apartment long enough to pelt her best friend with a pillow. She squinted through the little light from the laptop her friend was typing furiously on.

“Just give me ten minutes, Kerst. I just got an idea and I have to run with it before it disappears,” Alex McIntosh, also known as Allie, mumbled as she continued her rapid typing. She glanced quickly through her black rimmed glasses at the door where her roommate was standing to give her a pleading look.

“Jesus Christ, Al. Every night you’re on that damn thing typing away. Honey, you’re obsessing in these…stories of your’s,” Kerstin rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and trudged over to her friend’s desk.

Best friends for fifteen years. Kerstin and Alex had grown up in the same neighborhood in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and after much thought and careful consideration, they decided to attend Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York. “Please…just let me work. Go back to sleep. I’ll migrate to my bedroom if you need me to. I have enough power now.” Alex muttered and unplugged the power cord and transferred into her bedroom. Before the door shut, Kerstin heard her friend mumble a, “Goodnight.”

“What the hell?” Kerstin scoffed and folded her arms across her chest. Instead of bitching about it anymore, she realized it was too late and gave in to her best friend. Sleep washed over her in no time.

Alex sat back and looked over her words. God, sometimes she made herself sound so…perfect. Yet, her characters were so flawed. Was that a good thing? Maybe not. Backspace. Alex’s big brown eyes found the bright red lights beside her on her nightstand. 1:23 AM. It wasn’t unusual. All of her life Alex had been a writer, and all of her life she spent many sleeping hours devoted to her writing. It always happened the same way. She would be ready for bed, ready to crash and then all of a sudden, an “amazing” idea would wash over her. Of course she couldn’t just let the idea go. If she did, it would lose all inspiration and she wouldn’t touch it again. Then the common disease of writer’s block would take over her world and she wouldn’t pop out another “amazing idea” for weeks.

In this case? Alex had come up with a story about a very intelligent girl living in the midst of New York City’s crazy world meeting a very superficial boy from the inner city. The boy believes the girl is innocent and naïve and that he can get away with absolutely anything. However, she decides to turn the tables and make their relationship a complete joke. The deep points of the story Alex wanted to include were things like -- the girl never really learned how to love anyone or develop a romantic relationship. She was afraid.

A smirk found its way on Alex’s lips as she read over her own thoughts and ideas. God, this story sounded like it came from the book of her life. Alex wasn’t really into the whole relationship scene. She never had been. She had kissed a boy once her freshman year of high school from her newspaper staff, but it was all but romantic. It was sloppy and she could only remember the distinction of saliva all over her chin afterwards (and it definitely wasn’t her’s).

Satisfied with her work for the night and almost positive the idea wouldn’t lose any inspiration or motivation, Alex decided it was well past her resting time.

Besides, she’d set the alarm for 6:00 AM so she wouldn’t miss a second of writing time.
Chapter 1 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the reviews! Keep them coming!
“Morning,” Alex smiled at Kerstin as she entered the kitchen. Kerstin stared back in disbelief. Alex’s shoulder length brown hair fell around her face perfectly, allowing her curls to bounce in all the right places. Instead of hiding behind her squared black rims, Alex’s big brown eyes were outlined in a little black eyeliner and her eye lashes were curled up with black mascara. Her lips had a little lip gloss, and her outfit actually matched. She had on a white tank top and black blazer with dark blue jeans and black boots.

“What the hell happened to you?” Kerstin asked. Originally, she had planned to sit her friend down and gently break it to her that there was more to life than her crazy novel ideas. However, that plan had flown out the window.

“Well, it’s actually a really long and funny story,” Alex smirked as she poured herself more coffee. “I’m going to run down to the publisher’s office this afternoon and see what they think. I have this…crazy idea. And I mean crazy, Kerst.”

“Care to share?” Kerstin furrowed her brow and grabbed a mug for herself to pour her own coffee. Alex sighed and sat down at the small kitchen table and waited for Kerstin to get situated.

“Well, you know how last night I went on that rampage with a new idea I had?” Alex asked, refreshing her friend’s memory incase she had forgotten. Kerstin nodded. “Uh, this is the idea…I’m the idea, Kerstin.”

You’re the idea? What’s that supposed to mean?” Kerstin frowned and took a sip of the coffee. Maybe she was just so exhausted from last night’s lack of sleep that she wasn’t understanding Alex correctly.

“I came up with this idea to have an intelligent homebody girl fake a love relationship and pretend to fall in love with a superficial gorgeous guy,” Alex tried to explain. “Basically I thought it would be really cute to…act it out? In a sense? Kind of keep the novel as a journal. I’m the character.”

“I’m so not following you, Allie,” Kerstin closed her eyes shut tightly and shook her head. “You’re telling me that you’re going to actually…act out the story?”

“Sort of,” Alex shrugged and tried to think of another way to phrase her master plan. “More like write the novel as I go through life…”

“Are you kidding me? Alex, sweetie, your entire life revolves around that God damn novel of your’s!” Kerstin yelled. She was furious. She always knew her and Alex were incredibly different. But lately, Alex wasn’t even interested in going out and being social. It all revolved around her novel and her different ideas.

“You don’t get it,” Alex muttered plainly as she stood up with one more sip of coffee. “Kerstin, this is my work. Unlike you and the majority of society, I’m not allowed to just work in an office eight hours a day, five days a week. I have to work on my own time. I have to put everything I have into this novel, because if I don’t? I don’t really know where I’m going to get an income.”

“How about you work at a library or something in the meantime? I mean, there are definitely other ways of getting an income,” Kerstin sighed, trying to digest her friend’s ideas.

“Because the library isn’t me. Don’t you get it? You’re good with business. That’s why your degree is in business management. I don’t have those skills, Kerst. Just like you wouldn’t be able to pull a novel out of your ass whenever the hell you felt like it,” Alex sighed and tucked a strand of brown hair behind her ear. “Look, I don’t know how this is going to work, or if it’s going to work. All I know is that it sounds like a great idea, and I’d like to present it.”

Kerstin sighed and rolled her big hazel eyes. She didn’t agree with Alex’s tactics and certainly didn’t believe this little prospect would actually work out. But she and Alex had been best friends forever, and this wasn’t going to be her time to step down.

“Are you mad?” Alex bit her bottom lip in anticipation.

“God, no,” Kerstin muttered. “I don’t agree…I don’t think this will work at all. I think you’re wasting your time. But how the hell am I supposed to stop you?” She sighed. “But do not get me involved, understood?”

“Absolutely,” Alex smiled and threw her arms around Kerstin in an appreciative hug. “Listen, Kerst. I’m gonna run downtown to the publisher’s office and propose my new idea. Wanna meet somewhere for lunch in a few hours?”

“Lunch sounds great,” Kerstin smiled as she watched her friend’s excitement. She laughed softly as Alex ran around the apartment like a chicken with her head cut off, grabbing a briefcase, her keys and her purse. “Uh? Allie?” Kerstin frowned.

“Yeah?” Alex turned around breathless at the front door of the apartment.

“Forgetting something, sweetheart?” Kerstin giggled as she held up the laptop with all of Alex’s new ideas on. Alex gently slapped her own forehead and smiled. “You’ve got contacts in, right?” Alex smiled and nodded. “Because I know I wouldn’t want to be on the road if you didn’t have any means of vision.” She laughed to herself and threw a bowl in the sink.

Alex smiled and made her way into the hallway with a deep breath of relief. For the first time, she had a victorious feeling in her stomach. She could honestly admit deep down that this would work. She just knew it had to. It was…perfect. She tucked the laptop securely under her arm and made her way to catch a taxi. Today was going to be a very good day.
Chapter 2 by sarahmarie0727
“Miss McIntosh?” The woman standing behind the desk looked around the room for the young woman. Alex stood up with a large smile on her face and made her way to the woman. “Mr. Reynolds will see you now.” She muttered emotionlessly. Alex coughed softly to clear the smile from her face. Obviously, they weren’t as thrilled to see her as she was to see them. The woman lead Alex through a door in the center of the building and the older man stood to greet her.

“Hi Mr. Reynolds, it’s a pleasure to see you again,” Alex smiled politely and sat down in her regular spot in front of her desk. The old man smiled and sighed, reluctant to accept the girl’s invitation to view her newest project. Alex had been in his office more than once, and to be frank, he was tired of dealing with the young girl’s work that just wasn’t up to par with the rest of his company.

“Nice to see you again, too, Miss McIntosh. Now what do you have for me today?” He glanced nervously at the clock on the wall. 9:45. If things were going too badly he had made a meeting for 10:20 so he could easily pull out of an awkward situation.

“Well, Mr. Reynolds, I had this spark of an idea last night before I was going to bed--”

“Now Miss McIntosh, we talked about this last time you were in my office,” Mr. Reynolds sighed and folded his hands in front of him atop his desk. His stern look made the young girl shudder. “You know you should always let an idea marinate instead of jump from your brain to the computer. And even if you were to type it up, you should always wait a few days to see if the idea would settle or not.”

“I understand, Mr. Reynolds, but you see, it was just perfect,” Alex sighed breathlessly and smiled at the idea of her story. “It’s something you’ve never seen before. It’s brand new.”

“Have you presented it to your lawyer? Has it been copyrighted?” He frowned and shook his head. He practically knew Alex on a personal level since she was in his office so frequently. He felt bad for the girl. She was always just wanting to get published. He understood what a big deal it was, but she wasn’t very bright the way she went about the situation.

“Well, I haven’t actually produced any hardcopy at all. There’s no…story yet, sir,” she tried to explain. His look was questioning but curious. “You see,” Alex began to explain. “I sort of came up with this idea…” That always was Alex. She could never firmly say whether or not she believed in her stories (or in herself). It was always “sorta, kinda”. She needed to feel that belief. “Basically, I would go out on the street or in a club somewhere and find a guy that I believed to be superficial, or someone that didn’t know how to treat a woman right. Instead of the innocent, naïve woman getting hurt in the end, I would turn the tables and be the one to drop him at the end. I would create it into this huge love affair of how secretly women can be just as bad as men.” She finished with a sigh.

“So basically, you’re telling me that you want to turn this into How to Lose A Guy In Ten Days?” He frowned. “Alex, the idea is intriguing but I’d have to get permission from the movie company, the producers, the writers and the cast to create a novel like this. And frankly, I don’t have that kind of time or money,” he sighed.

“No! It wouldn’t be like that at all,” Alex shook her head. “I would create the novel as I went along and the novel would be merit. It wouldn’t be a bunch of columns from a tabloid thrown together. There is no time frame on this, Mr. Reynolds. I would take it day by day and see how it goes.” She explained.

Mr. Reynolds breathed heavily and glanced around the room full of plaques dedicated to novels that had won incredible awards. Novels that he had published. “This could turn out to be a complete flop.” He thought to himself, only instead of in his head, he accidentally muttered the words out loud.

Alex smirked. “Or, it could be a complete masterpiece.” He shook his head, still unsure of the idea. “Please, Mr. Reynolds. Just give me a chance. Follow me on this one. Allow me to go home, find the new subject and work on it. I will bring you hardcopies whenever you need them.”

He sighed once more. “Miss McIntosh, I’ve never heard of anything like this…”

“Which is why you should allow me to try. This could be huge, Mr. Reynolds. Please,” she practically begged. This was as close Alex had ever gotten to getting a positive remark out of this man concerning something she was working on. She was on the edge of her seat as he outreached his arm to her.

“Alright, you have a deal,” he muttered. She sucked in her squeal of excitement and shook his hand rapidly. “But I want to see a hardcopy no later than Friday, understood? And I want a call tomorrow morning informing me that you’ve started this little master plan of your’s. And if at any point I feel like dropping you--”

“You are free to drop me flat on my face, Mr. Reynolds,” Alex smiled happily, finishing his sentence. He smiled for the first time as she stood up quickly from her seat.

“I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow morning,” he smiled as she went towards the door.

“I’ll call! And thank you so much Mr. Reynolds. I won’t let you down,” she smiled brightly and walked towards the hall to exit and make her way to find a taxi.

“I can’t believe he loved the idea!” Alex exclaimed into her cell phone as she hailed a cab. “I mean, you yourself even said you didn’t think it would work.”

“I know I said that Allie, and I’m sorry,” Kerstin sighed. “But you really do have to stick with it if you want it to work out the way you do. I mean, think about it. You’re always coming up with these awesome ideas, but honey…you never stick with them.”

“I know, I know,” Alex quickly answered as she climbed into the taxi cab. “But Kerst, this is serious! He truly accepted the idea and I am so excited!”

“I can tell,” Kerstin laughed. “How about we go out to celebrate? Go to lunch or something and then hit up a club?”

“Sounds amazing,” Alex smiled, even though she was never one to go out. If only she could see Kerstin’s reaction. Maybe Alex was taking this seriously, or more seriously than she thought, at least. Alex was never one to go out…ever. Maybe out for lunch every once and a while, but she rarely went clubbing with Kerstin and her other friends. It just wasn’t…Alex.

“Okay, I’ll see you back at the apartment?” Kerstin asked.

“Yep, I should be there within fifteen minutes,” Alex nodded. They said their goodbyes and hung up. Alex smiled as she glanced out the window. She really was going to change. She knew she could pull this off.
Chapter 3 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the reviews!! Chapter 4 should be out sometime tomorrow! :]
“Do you understand how ridiculous this looks?” Alex grimaced in the mirror. Kerstin had gotten her “all dolled up”, so to say, in a tight black tank top with a low V-neck to show off much more cleavage than Alex was ever comfortable showing off. She had on a pair of dark, low cut “hipster” jeans that allowed her to reveal much more of her stomach than she would have liked. Kerstin pulled Alex’s shoulder length wavy brown hair back halfway and allowed her curls to loosely fall around her shoulders. She had never worn as much make-up as Kerstin had insisted she wore.

“You’re the one on a mission,” Kerstin laughed and shook her head. Alex had explained that Mr. Reynolds wanted her possible subject by the next morning. It was only another good reason to go out and get insanely trashed, as Kerstin put kindly.

“I know I’m on a damn mission, Kerst, but do I have to feel like a whore in the process?” Alex sighed, trying to pull down the tank top and pull up the jeans, only to reveal even more cleavage and feel discomfort in her crotch.

“Hey! Don’t forget these are my clothes you’re wearing,” Kerstin giggled, knowing her friend was only joking but still slightly offended by the comment. “And besides, if you want this to work, you have to look…normal.” She sighed. “No more glasses, no more baggy jeans and t-shirts with sneakers. You have to be sexy, Allie.”

“I can be sexy in glasses, at least,” Alex sighed and squinted in the mirror to feel adjusted to the contacts they had gone out to purchase earlier in the evening.

“I know that, but not while clubbing,” Kerstin sighed. “Just give the contacts and wardrobe a try for tonight, okay? I bet you will have at least three guys you’re interested in studying by the end of the night.” She rolled her eyes. Secretly she was hoping Alex would find an amazing man she just couldn’t hurt by writing down his deepest darkest feelings and she would pull away from her bookworm attitude.

“I hope so,” Alex muttered, not catching the sarcasm dripping from Kerstin’s every word. “So where exactly are we going?”

“It’s a big club off of 5th. It’s really popular and I love it there,” Kerstin shrugged. “You ready to have some fun?” She smirked at Alex. Alex nodded while biting her lip anxiously. She was nervous, herself, she wouldn’t be able to pull it off. She never was one to socialize.

“We just need to be home by a somewhat decent hour so I can type up a little bit of a journal entry and be prepared to call Mr. Reynolds tomorrow morning,” Alex explained as she slipped in silver hoop earrings Kerstin handed her.

“Hah, ‘somewhat’ being your key word,” Kerstin laughed under her breath. She pulled out a nice pair of black pumps and tossed them to Alex. “Put these on. They make you look incredibly sexy. Your legs will look magnificent.”

“How the hell am I supposed to dance in these?” Alex managed to muster after getting the shoes on her feet and wobbling around for a moment or two.

“You make it work, honey. Beauty is pain,” she winked as they headed for the front door. Tonight was going to be an interesting night.

As the taxi pulled up to the club, the girls got out and looked around. Alex was already disgusted. The music was far too loud, the people were far too wasted and the scene itself was far too much. She didn’t want to go through with this anymore. “Can’t I pick up a guy at a library or something?” She said into Kerstin’s ear so she could hear.

“Not an insensitive, egotistical one,” she smirked back at her friend. “Come on, it really isn’t that bad. Once you get a little liquor in you, you’ll warm up to the place. It’s actually what most people consider entertaining.” She said sarcastically.

Alex sighed and got into the long line of people. She pulled her ID from her wallet and waited to get to the man holding the velvet rope.

“Hey Kerstin, how you doing baby?” The burly man asked Kerstin. Kerstin smiled up at him and kissed his cheek politely.

“I’m good Parker, how have you been?” She smirked.

“I’ve been good, thanks,” he smiled back. “Who’s your new friend?” He winked in Alex’s direction. She nervously smiled, making only half of her lip curve up, giving an Elvis kind of impression. He frowned and shook his head.

“This is my roommate and best friend, Alex. Alex, this is a regular security guard here at the club, Parker,” Kerstin sighed, completely embarrassed by her best friend but also glad she could correct her.

“Nice to meet you,” Alex uttered politely.

“You too, sweetie. Ya’ll go inside and have yourselves a nice night,” the man nodded them in after glancing at Alex’s ID.

“Alex, don’t ever make that face again,” Kerstin said into her friend’s ear once they reached the inside of the club. Alex barely heard her; for one, she was too infatuated in the lights and dancing bodies. Two, she was completely unnerved by the fact that masses of sweaty bodies kept brushing up against her.

“What face?” She yelled back as the two girls crossed the inside of the club. Kerstin grabbed Alex’s hand and yanked her to a booth in the wall.

“That half smile, half frown. It makes you look like you’re disgusted with the person you’re looking at,” she sighed. “Just…be yourself.”

“I can’t be my damn self!” Alex yelled. This time it wasn’t just from the music. It was because she was so irritated with her friend. “Don’t you understand? That’s exactly who I’m trying to run away from right now!”

“Alex, you aren’t supposed to change as a person,” Kerstin said truthfully. “You’re supposed to change as in open up more and be more of who you are. Inside of you there’s a crazy, bubbly person that I used to see every day when we were younger. I know it’s still in you, Allie. You just have to find it.”

Alex sighed and shook her head, unsure of what to believe. Instead of arguing with Kerstin, she decided to scope out her choices. God knew there were enough men in that room she had to find at least one insensitive asshole. “Listen, how about you go get us some drinks. I’ve never been clubbing before, so I have no idea what the hell to order.” She muttered and ran her finger over the sticky table to avoid eye contact with her friend. She hoped Kerstin was right. She wished she could be outgoing and social like Kerstin.

“Okay,” Kerstin offered up a genuine smile and scooted out of the benched seat. Alex watched her leave. Kerstin wasn’t just socially advanced, she was beautiful. She had long wavy red hair just below her breasts and these bright emerald green eyes that made any man smile. She had been dating a guy seriously for a while. He was nice and Alex fully approved. Kerstin’s pale face was splattered with light brown freckles. She was very slender, but instead of the “skinny” look, she was much more athletic, unlike Alex. Alex had never spent more than ten minutes in a gym. Kerstin could spend all day if she wanted to.

Alex sighed and glanced around the club once more. There were a few hot prospects, but she honestly couldn’t tell which were taken and which were available for her scheming plot. She had yet to feel the least bit guilty, and instead watched as Kerstin returned.

“Try this,” she smirked with a wink.

“What is it?” Alex frowned and brought the glass up to her nostrils to smell the contents. She was never one for alcohol, but she honestly couldn‘t sense any liquor.

“It’s a simple vodka and cranberry juice. You honestly can’t detect the vodka, I promise,” Kerstin smiled. She, however, didn’t mention how drunk off her ass Alex would be after only a few -- since it was more heavy on the vodka. Oh well. The night would be rather interesting.
Chapter 4 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
More reviews please! Reviews keep me writing, lol.
Alex’s head seemed to be spinning in circles. She couldn’t think properly. All she knew was that Kerstin had insisted they go out to the dance floor to find them some men. As she danced closely to one in particular, she felt her stomach twisting and turning uncomfortably.

“I-I have to go…” she slurred as she tried to find a sign for the bathrooms. With a little luck, she spotted a pay phone and realized a bathroom should be close by. She felt the contents of her alcohol slowly sliding up her throat and she couldn’t contain herself anymore. She ran through the nearest door and puked in the nearest stall. “God damn, why is there only one stall in this fucking bathroom?” She muttered as she wiped a trail of saliva and vomit from her bottom lip. She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket to text Kerstin and tell her where she was. As the door to the restroom swung open, another rush of vomit spilled from her mouth.

“Why the hell are you in here?!” A male voice yelled from behind her. She hadn’t had enough time to close the stall door.

“I don’t remember this being a unisex bathroom,” Alex muttered hastily as she tried to wobble to her feet to seriously yell at the blonde intruder. “You’re in the wrong bathroom.”

“Uh, I’m not drunk enough to be in the wrong bathroom,” he muttered, eyeing her top and the way her jeans hung on her hips. “You, on the other hand, obviously are.”

Even though her drunkenness, Alex realized this man was checking her out. She stumbled slightly as she tried to push past him and he reached out to catch her arm. “Is there someone with you to take care of you?” He asked her. He didn’t sound the least bit sincere.

“I’m here with a friend,” Alex mumbled and shook out of his hold. Her head was still very hazy and she didn’t quite understand how she had ended up in the men’s bathroom, and yet pushed her way through the door anyway.

“Alex? Is that you?” Kerstin frowned as she watched her friend come out of the opposite sex’s bathroom. She laughed, partly because she was on her way to being drunk and partly because she couldn’t believe she had gotten Alex so wasted. “Sweetie, come on. You should go sit down and drink some water…” she lead Alex back to the booth and made sure to get her a water. “Found any insensitive assholes yet?” She smirked and sat down.

Alex shook her head ‘no’ as she sipped some of the cold ice water. “Well…sort of. In the bathroom.”

“That’s a very interesting place to meet a man,” Kerstin laughed at the strangeness. “Where is he?” She glanced around the club to see if she could spot him.

“Uh,” Alex looked around on her own. No luck. “I don’t see him anymore. He had blonde hair--”

“Feeling better?” Someone interrupted. It was the man. Alex blushed a deep crimson color and watched as he slid into her booth next to her. “That was pretty disgusting back there.”

Alex glanced at Kerstin who just raised her eyebrows in approval and curiosity and slipped out of the booth to go back and dance. “Yeah…sorry…” Alex didn’t really know what to say. She wasn’t good at this department in life.

“It’s cool,” the man smoothly wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “So…what do you say you come dance with me…” he suggested.

“I don’t even know your name,” she slurred and took another long gulp of water to try and cool her nerves. God, was this going to be this nerve wracking? She had met this man in the bathroom for Christ’s sake as she was puking up her insides.

“Nick,” he knelt his head down and kissed her neck gently. “Nick Carter. And you?” He smirked.

“Alex McIntosh,” she mumbled, totally amused by his liking to her. She, however, knew he was only in it for one thing. Even though she was currently wasted off her ass, she couldn’t help but notice Nick glancing at something (or someone) in the distance. Why wasn’t he fully focused on her? Oh, that’s right! He’s an insensitive pig! He was probably scoping out other women for future sex. He would try to get with Alex tonight and possibly pull a few numbers from other girls. That had to be it, Alex thought to herself.

“Well, Alex. Will you dance with me?” He questioned rather innocently. Alex couldn’t help the goofy smile that fell over her lips (it was mostly from the alcohol).

“You should know I can’t dance right now after you saw me barfing up a lung in the bathroom,” she tried to escape his grasp but he managed to gently pull her right out of the booth. “In fact, I feel another wave of nausea coming over me…”

“You’ll be fine,” Nick mumbled, wrapping his arms strongly around her. “The water cooled you off.” Even though Alex could smell a hint of alcohol off of Nick’s breath, she knew he wasn’t completely trashed. He turned her around so her back was to him and let his hands roam her flat stomach. She felt uneasy and swallowed a lump in her throat. He was very sexy looking -- blonde hair, blue eyes…very tall and strong. She allowed him to take the lead as they began to grind to the music.

God, why wasn’t this easier than Alex thought it would be? She could feel something growing in the pit of her stomach…and God only knew it wasn’t the alcohol.
Chapter 5 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
I was going to wait until tomorrow to put out this chapter, but I'm on a roll with writing so I decided to just do it now! Plus, there's kind of a lot of revelations in this chapter and I think it makes things easier to understand. Reviews are lovely!!
Alex squinted out the light that was beginning to shine in through her blinds. Throwing the pillow over her head, she mumbled some profanities under her breath.

“Morning sunshine,” Kerstin smiled and entered the room with a tray. On the tray was a glass full of some dark, thick liquid Alex couldn’t make out, as well as a bowl of chicken noodle soup and some saltines. “Sleep well?”

“Why am I not asking you where the hell I am? Didn’t I meet that guy last night…?” Alex trailed off, completely forgetting the remains of the night except for the fact she met a man…Nick.

“Yes, you did meet a man last night. A real gentleman, if you ask me. He helped me get you out to a taxi and everything this morning. You were really messed up after all those drinks you had. He was such a nice guy,” Kerstin smiled.

“God damnit, Kerstin,” Alex mumbled and threw the pillow atop her head once more. “That’s not how it was supposed to happen! He was supposed to be an insensitive asshole that I went home with and now I have to figure out what to tell Mr. Reynolds.”

“Tell him the truth. You got a phone number last night,” Kerstin smirked. “But there’s always next time!” She added cheerfully.

“Wait a second…I got a phone number?” Alex frowned completely dumbfounded.

“Yeah, I was shocked too,” Kerstin shrugged. “I mean, he didn’t even think twice about putting you in the taxi to go home with me. I don’t understand, to be honest with you. I mean, you weren’t completely repulsive but still…I thought for sure he would try to take you home…”

“I don’t even know him,” Alex muttered at the thought of actually having to call this man that she had originally met in a men’s restroom. Could the beginning of her story be any more embarrassing? As she thought about it for a little while, it became even more interesting. She had never read a story before where the possible love interests met while one was puking her guts up in the opposite sex’s bathroom. “Besides, he obviously wasn’t that interested since he didn’t bring me home with him…”

“Does it really matter? You want this story to work, right? You really aren’t into the situation for his love,” Kerstin laughed and shook her head. “Drink this.” She handed her the dark contents.

“What is it?” Alex frowned as she took the glass from her best friend.

“This, my dear, was my hero in college,” Kerstin laughed. “It tastes like shit but it works magic, let me tell you. Get at least half of it down and your headache should disappear with the nauseous feeling in your stomach within…ten minutes?” She glanced at her watch.

Alex shrugged and chugged the glass, even though it did taste horrible.

Nick Carter rolled over in the empty bed and muttered a few choice words to himself. “Damn hangovers.” He sighed and allowed the emptiness of his bed confuse him. He tried to recall what had happened the night before.

As the memories replayed themselves in his head, he mentally slapped himself. He had run into his ex girlfriend, Macy, and had wanted to make her jealous. As he went into the bathroom, he found a not-so-bad looking girl puking her guts out on the bathroom floor, and after giving her a chance to rinse out the vomit from her mouth and get rid of the stench, he had made a lot of moves on her. He proceeded to make Macy believe he was taking her home, when really he helped her safely to a taxi and went his own separate way. However, he had given her his phone number at the hotel. Damn him. She probably wouldn’t call, though. God, please don’t call…he kept repeating in his head.

“Nick, you up, man?” Brian Littrell pounded on his best friend’s hotel door. “We have to be back in the studio in an hour.”

“I’m up,” Nick mumbled and shoved a pillow over his head. As the door slipped open, he threw a disgusted look with the pillow towards his intruder. “God damn, Brian! Can’t I have any privacy whatsoever?” He yelled loud enough for the lobby to hear four floors down.

“Chill,” Brian shook his head. Then, with a surprised glance towards the bed, he frowned. “Did the mistress leave already?” He frowned.

“I don’t have a damn mistress,” Nick rolled his eyes. “Can’t you realize I’m falling out of the ‘must have a woman every night’ phase? I don’t always need a girl.” He lied through his teeth. Brian busted out in laughter, almost falling flat on his face onto the carpeted hotel floor.

“Hah, yeah right,” he muttered and shook his head. “What about that girl I saw you with last night? She actually turned you down?”

“I didn’t offer,” Nick corrected and rolled out of bed with a huff. He headed towards his suitcase to pick out his clothing for the day. “She was a nerd and I was just trying to make Macy jealous.”

“Whoa, Macy was there?” Brian’s facial expression quickly changed. Macy had been the girl of Nick’s dreams. She was hot and smart, two things Nick didn’t have much luck running into these days. Brian plopped down on Nick’s bed. “Wait a second, so you were just using that beautiful girl?”

“Sorry to burst your Biblical ass, but yes. It’s what I’m famous for, remember?” He rolled his eyes as he made his way into the bathroom. “Besides, she might have been kinda cute, but she was disgusting. She was puking all over the men’s bathroom floor.”

“Wait, what the hell, man? She was a guy?! Jesus, Nick!” Brian yelled. It almost made Nick laugh how freaked out Brian was. “I mean, I understand the whole ‘using’ thing with Macy being there, but using a guy? That’s freaking disgusting, Nick.” Brian muttered, utterly disgusted and headed for the door to leave.

“No, no, no,” Nick shook his head with a chuckle and opened the bathroom door in a t-shirt and jeans. “She was a girl. She was so trashed she didn’t realize she was in the guy’s bathroom,” he laughed. “When I saw her there, I realized she was pretty cute. She didn’t seem into the whole ‘club scene’, so I figured she’d be an easy target. And she wasn’t that interested in me, so I thought that I would use her against Mace so she wouldn’t go back to the hotel with me…” Nick tried to explain.

Brian nodded and raised his eyebrows. “I’m impressed, Nick. Really, I am.”

“I just hope she doesn’t fucking call me,” Nick muttered and threw his t-shirt and boxers from the previous night back into his suitcase. Brian’s eyes widened.

“You gave her your phone number?” Brian shook his head. “Are you mentally ill, Nick? I mean, come on, man. Why the hell would you give the girl your phone number?!”

“Just the number at the hotel,” Nick rolled his eyes. “I just won’t answer the phone.” He shrugged. “Besides, Macy was watching me when I was talking to the girl, so I wrote my number down on the napkin and made sure she saw it.”

“That’s it, Nick. You’re retarded. Haven’t you ever heard of giving out a fake number? As in, one that isn’t your’s?” Brian shook his head and laughed. “And you do realize that the extension you gave her at the hotel is your room number, right?” He asked his friend. Nick closed his eyes momentarily and licked his lips.

“Y-Yeah, I know,” he lied. “And besides, if things get crazy, Marcus can take care of it and I’ll call the cops.” He shrugged. “No big deal.”

“Yeah, no big deal my ass, Nick,” Brian laughed as he left the room. “Be in the lobby in thirty minutes.”

As he shut the door, Nick fell back onto his bed. “Damn you, Nick.” He muttered to himself. The last thing he needed right now was a stalker. Why couldn’t he have thought about things before he just went into action?

“Mr. Reynolds, please?” Alex said into the phone as she lugged around her house in her pajamas from the night before. She heard the secretary push her through and sighed heavily.

“Miss McIntosh?” She heard Mr. Reynolds ask.

“Hi, Mr. Reynolds,” she tried to sound enthusiastic. “I just wanted to call and give you the name of the man I’m using in this scenario as well as give you a few details.” She glanced down at the note she had written out with the few details she could remember from the night before.

“Perfect,” he smiled to himself. “What did you get?”

“Well,” Alex sighed. “The man’s name is Nick Carter and--”

“Wait,” Mr. Reynolds stopped her. “The Nick Carter?” He asked her. Alex frowned and wondered what the hell he was talking about.

“I’m not following, sir,” she rubbed her forehead. Damn her for getting drunk. No, scratch that. Damn Kerstin for getting her so drunk. “Who is Nick Carter?”

“The Backstreet Boy?” Mr. Reynolds chuckled. “Oh, Alex, this is perfect!” He exclaimed. Alex’s eyes grew wide -- half out of fear and half out of surprise. First of all, he had finally called her Alex, meaning she was definitely in because he never called anyone by their first name unless he was completely sure they were worth it. Second of all, the Backstreet Boys?! As in, that old pop group that had faded with the 90s? No way. “I can’t believe this! You are genius! Do you understand how great this is for our company? I mean, to be able to say you collaborated with a Backstreet Boy! Get on this story ASAP. I want details as of Friday. Job well done.”

And with that, she heard the other line click. She looked down at the phone and then up at the blank wall in front of her. Details by Friday? Backstreet Boy? Was this really happening? It couldn’t be. Holy hell it was.
Chapter 6 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the reviews!
“I can’t do this to a Backstreet Boy, Kerstin!” Alex mumbled through a spoon full of Cheerios. “I mean, a deadline on Friday would be fine for any normal subject, but a Backstreet Boy? And why the hell was he interested in me? I mean, me of all people?”

“Honey, could you please eat your breakfast and stop worrying,” Kerstin rolled her eyes and shook her head. “I’m sure things will all work out.” Alex rolled her eyes at Kerstin’s motherly instincts.

“Yeah, whatever,” Alex sighed. “I highly doubt things will work out. I mean, knowing I was going to have to get a hot guy to date me was hard enough to do. But now I have to get a Backstreet Boy? And the worst part about it is that I can’t go back on it. Mr. Reynolds was so sold on the fact that Nick’s in a boy band. This has to work out.”

“And it will,” Kerstin sighed and shook her head. “Call him and see if he wants to meet up or something. You can do this. You, yourself, said you could.”

“That was before I realized I would be dating a famous person,” Alex muttered and dumped the remainder of her soggy Cheerios down the drain. She slumped into an oversized chair and thumbed the crumpled napkin Nick had given her the night before. “Here goes nothing.” She mumbled and dialed the number.

After seven rings, someone at the front desk of the hotel answered. “This is Amanda with the front desk at the Iroquois. The person you were trying to reach isn’t available. Is there a message I can take for you?” She asked politely.

“Um,” Alex looked around and bit her bottom lip. To leave a message or to not leave a message? “Sure,” she finally decided. “Can you just tell Nick that Alex called. Can I leave my number with you, too?” She asked. The lady agreed and Alex decided to leave her cell. She wasn’t planning on him calling her back.

“Any luck?” Kerstin asked hopefully from the kitchen as she heard Alex hang up the phone.

“Not at all. He’s probably not answering his phone, Kerst,” Alex sighed and rubbed her temples. “This is useless. I was so stupid to think this would actually work. I mean, come on? Pretend to fall in love with a superficial guy and then make a joke of it? It’s absolutely ridiculous…”

“Would you chill out? Maybe fate hasn’t taken it’s course yet. Maybe you’ll run into this guy somewhere down the road,” Kerstin shrugged, ideas running wild in her head.

“Yeah, right,” Alex shrugged and shook her head. “I’m getting in the shower.” She mumbled and pouted her way into the bathroom. How could she have been so stupid? She hadn’t had a date in years; how in the world had she thought she could pull off meeting some random guy and getting him hooked on her? She was an idiot when it came to the dating world. Besides reading romance novels and watching a Lifetime movie every now and again, she was clueless.

With Nick

“Do you think that was her?” Nick asked worriedly as Brian had entered the room and heard the phone ringing. Brian shook his head in laughter.

“How the heck am I supposed to know?” He frowned. “I didn’t actually meet the girl. But it probably was. Who else would be calling our rooms?” As soon as he finished his sentence, the phone rang again. Both men just stared at it. “Well, are you going to answer it?”

“Hell no,” Nick shuddered at the thought. Why would she think he was interested? Besides the fact that he had practically been all over her there for a while…Wasn’t she embarrassed? She had blown chunks in front of him, for Christ’s sake.

“Fine,” Brian muttered and picked up the phone himself. “Hello?” He asked. Nick stared wide-eyed at his best friend and waited for some kind of response. He watched him scribble something on the pad of paper by the phone and waited. “Okay, thank you.” He said and hung up.

“Well?” Nick stared at him blankly.

“It was her earlier,” Brian laughed. “She left her number with the woman at the front desk. Alex was her name.” Brian couldn’t control his fit of laughter anymore. He dodged the blow from Nick and headed towards the only exit. “You should call her!” He yelled before the door was slammed in his face. Nick sighed and fell back on his bed once more. He glanced down at the number. Instead of throwing it away, he shoved it into his jean’s pocket. Maybe it would come in handy? It would be an easy lay…

With Alex

“Hi, my name’s Kerstin Andrews,” Kerstin tried to say as softly as possible, yet still audible, in fear that Alex might hear. “I was wondering if Christy is in today?” She asked, referring to one of her good friends from college.

“Yes, she is. One moment,” the woman on the other line said.

“Hello?” The young girl, Christy Adams, answered.

“Christy, it’s Kerstin,” Kerstin smiled. Maybe this would work out after all. “I have a huge favor to ask of you. I know you’re super busy and everything, but are you by any chance working with the Backstreet Boys this week?” She asked. Christy worked for a big time magazine in New York. It wasn’t necessarily big nation wide, but for New York and the Syracuse area, it was fairly big.

After getting the needed details for her master plan to work out correctly, Kerstin hung up with her old time friend. She was determined to help Alex get through this. As much as she truly wanted her friend to go out and get a life, she hoped that working on this novel would be step one. Step one was as good as anything, and hopefully she could help.

“Kerst, what are your plans for the day? I think I’m going to hang back and work on making up some kind of story…” Alex trailed as she exited the bathroom area. Kerstin was slightly disappointed to see that she was wearing a baggy t-shirt and shorts with her glasses back on. “Why do you look pissed?” Alex frowned.

“What happened to the Alex from last night?” She asked her.

“Ah, the Alex from last night didn’t really enjoy puking up her insides in font of a celebrity and then suffering a mad hangover this morning, which, by the way, still isn’t full gone,” Alex rubbed her temples some more from the pounding headache growing there. “So, if you don’t mind, I’m going to work on my fictional skills and try to pull a story out of my ass, okay?”

“Ah, no need,” Kerstin smiled. “We, my dear, are going to a Healthy Hearts Benefit tonight.” She smirked. Alex stared at her blankly. Kerstin rolled her eyes and plopped down on the couch in the living room, motioning for Alex to sit across from her so she could explain. “One of my old college friends works for that tabloid magazine in Syracuse, so I called her up figuring that she would have an idea as to where the boys would be tonight and she did. Apparently Brian, one of the guys in the band, is also the creator of the Healthy Hearts Club or something and I got us two tickets to the concert and dinner.” Kerstin smiled. She waited for her friends thanks or approval. “Go ahead…tell me how much you love me…” She got worried when she saw Alex’s blank expression.

“We’re going to have to see him again?” Alex whined. Kerstin frowned and leaned forward to stare at her friend long and hard.

“Have you lost your mind? Isn’t that what you wanted? To make this story work?” Kerstin questioned. Alex sighed and stood up from where she was sitting.

“Well…yeah, but,” she couldn’t find the words she wanted to say, “I mean…I don’t know, Kerst. Thanks for trying to help but I just don’t see this working.”

“Well I do,” Kerstin said firmly. “So get off your ass, put on some clothes that make you look as beautiful as you are and get ready because we’re going shopping.”

“Shopping for what?” Alex sighed with a tint of whine seeping from her words.

“Clothes, honey! Do you honestly think we can show up in summer dresses? We have to find sexy, beautiful gowns,” Kerstin explained as she slipped on a pair of black flip flops and grabbed her wallet.

“And where do you suppose we’re going to find the money for these sexy, beautiful gowns?” Alex asked. She removed the glasses and began going through Kerstin’s closet to find some non revealing clothes to wear on their little outing. She hated spending Kerstin’s money and borrowing Kerstin’s things. If there was one thing in this world she was jealous of, it was the fact that Kerstin came from a very wealthy background. Her father had been a prestigious doctor in Lancaster and her mother was a politician for the state. They brought in more money in a month than Kerstin would typically see in a year.

“Honey, do you even have to ask?” Kerstin giggled and held up one of the credit cards her father was still paying. With a roll of her eyes, she finished getting ready and the girls went out on a mission.
Chapter 7 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all the reviews! I started doing this in the last chapter, but whenever I switch settings (going from Alex to Nick or Nick to Alex) I’m italicizing “With ___” or whatever. If it’s too complicated or if you have a suggestion, please let me know! Thanks!
“Brian, I hate wearing tuxes,” Nick muttered as he stood awkwardly in the mirror. “Couldn’t I just wear--?”

“Nick, would you stop complaining for one night, please?” Howie Dorough practically begged as the boys all tried on their tuxedos for the night. “This night means a lot to Brian.”

“There have been a lot of nights that have meant a lot to Brian,” Nick sighed. “I’m tired of attending them.”

“Gee, thanks Nick,” Brian muttered sarcastically from the other side of the dressing room. “It’s just for a few hours, anyway. There are going to be a lot of gorgeous women there tonight, Nick.” Brian tried to make his best friend interested in going.

“It’s fine,” Nick muttered, slightly interested at the mention of “gorgeous women”.

Nick needed a beautiful woman for tonight. He was almost on the verge of calling that woman that he had met at the club to invite her to the benefit. Her awkwardness, however, didn’t sit well with him and he figured he would be able to find a beautiful girl tonight at the concert and dinner.

With Alex

“This one is so…revealing,” Alex mumbled with a look of disgust on her face as she was forced to spin in the mirror.

Kerstin and two sales associates marveled at the miracle in the mirror. “Allie, it looks absolutely perfect! I’m not even lying. You look like a movie star.” The strapless black dress clung tightly to her chest, the cups for her breasts making a “V” in the middle to show off some cleavage. The dress was tight all the way down her body, but flared out nicely around her calves. The material was something Alex had never felt before. It was very thick and very soft like satin; however it wasn’t as light as satin. There was something heavier underneath. Whatever it was, it felt nice. However, the revealing nature of the dress repelled her.

“I feel like a slut,” Alex mumbled as she tugged at the dress a little more to make her feel more comfortable.

“You are not a slut,” Kerstin sighed and shook her head. “You look beautiful. We’ll take it.” She smiled at the sales clerk and the clerk went away to ring up the purchase. “You are going to look absolutely stunning tonight.” Kerstin smiled as she played with Alex’s hair.

“I don’t feel stunning,” Alex mumbled as she felt the emotional part of her taking over. She felt the tears begin to well in her eyes. After blinking a few times, she was able to ward them off. “I-I just want to leave.”

Kerstin frowned at her friend’s sudden disinterest in the entire outing. She thought for sure Alex would love being pampered and taken care of. Nick was a gorgeous guy and Kerstin knew Alex could win him over if she just started acting more like a normal twenty-four-year-old. She watched as Alex disappeared back into the dressing room to change. Kerstin handed over her credit card and walked to the front of the story to check out.

“Kerstin, is that you?” She heard a voice from behind her. She smiled as she turned around and saw her friend Christy who had gotten them into the benefit for the night.

“Hey Christy! Thank you so much for tonight,” Kerstin smiled. “I really appreciate it.”

“It’s no problem, really,” Christy smiled. “I decided to go shopping to show Leighanne around. This is Leighanne Littrell, she’s the wife of the man that is throwing tonight’s benefit.” Christy introduced the beautiful blonde woman standing next to her. “Leighanne, this is an old friend of mine, Kerstin Andrews.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Leighanne smiled with a strong southern accent and shook Kerstin’s hand.

“You too,” Kerstin responded with a big smile.

“That man that you mentioned, Nick Carter, is in Leighanne’s husband’s band,” Christy went on further to explain. Kerstin blushed a light pink color at the mention of Nick. She didn’t really want anyone to know they were going to the benefit simply to run into Nick again. It would sound too much as if they were stalking him.

“How do you know Nick?” Leighanne asked curiously. Kerstin tried to think of a way to say the truth. Nothing was coming to mind.

“Oh…well,” she mumbled and watched as her best friend walked over with the dress in hand. A small smile graced her lips as she saw the strangers. “This is my roommate and best friend, Alex McIntosh. She’s coming to the benefit with me tonight.” She quickly changed the subject. With the new introduction, Leighanne seemed to completely forget about her previous question. “This is Leighanne Littrell. Her husband is the man that is hosting the benefit. And you remember Christy.”

“Nice to meet you,” Alex smiled. Leighanne reciprocated the gesture and the two women shook hands. “Hi Christy.” She smiled at the old friend from college. Christy nodded with a smile and Kerstin turned back to the register to hand the woman the dress so they could be on their way. “We were just shopping for tonight.” Alex smiled, not really sure what to say.

“Same with us,” Leighanne smiled. She wasn’t sure what it was, but there was something different about Alex, the girl. Something very innocent and naïve. She seemed like a sweet girl. “Have you lived in New York long?”

“Since college,” Alex answered. “I actually grew up in Pennsylvania and then Alex and I moved to Syracuse for school.” She explained. Leighanne nodded, intrigued. “Ever since, New York has just kinda stuck as our home.” She shrugged.

“That’s great, to feel like you actually belong somewhere,” Leighanne smiled. “That’s how I feel about Georgia. It just has this homey feeling to it.” She agreed.

“Well, we better get going,” Kerstin smiled. “It was nice meeting you, Leighanne. I guess we’ll be seeing you tonight, then?”

“Absolutely,” Leighanne smiled at both of the girls. “Nice meeting you both.”

After their goodbyes, Kerstin and Alex made their way out of the store and down the New York City road once more to find other things that they needed for the day. “That woman is married to the man that is running the benefit for tonight.” Kerstin said again. Alex frowned and nodded.

“Your point?” Alex asked as she tugged the bag with the dress in it up higher on her shoulder so it wouldn’t drag on the ground.

“My point is that he is in the band with Nick. They’re friends,” Kerstin emphasized the word ‘friends’. “That means if you get on good terms with the wife, maybe she’ll push you towards Nick!”

“Kerstin, you’re getting more into this whole thing than I am,” Alex rolled her eyes and laughed. Originally, Kerstin hated the idea of her completely using some random guy. Now, it was almost as if it were a game.

“No,” Kerstin jumped back defensively. “I just really want this to work for you,” she shrugged and took a sip from the bottle of water in her hand. Alex shook her head and laughed. Sure. That was all Kerstin was in it for. She didn’t believe that for a second. “Let’s head back to the apartment and start getting ready. I can work on your hair and your make-up…and I should have a pair of shoes to go with the outfit…”

“Wait, what about your dress?” Alex frowned. Throughout all of the chaos of the day, she had completely forgot about her friend.

“Oh, I already have one,” Kerstin smirked. “It’s from this dinner I went to with my family last year. Don’t worry, I’m not ditching you tonight.” She laughed. She knew Alex was worried from the second the question came up. She wouldn’t leave her friend alone tonight. She’d need the cues and tips about men every second she could get.
Chapter 8 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
So, I decided to be nice and give ya'll 2 chapters in one day :]. This is the longest chapter I've ever written!! Reviews are lovely!
The hall where the benefit was being held was huge and absolutely stunning. Alex had never been in a more beautiful place. Even though she felt incredibly awkward about being there and seeing Nick again, she felt like a princess with all the attention Kerstin had given her.

“I’m going to go get us some drinks, okay?” Kerstin smiled and disappeared before Alex could object over to the bar. Alex sighed and smoothed her dress out down the front. Granted, she felt beautiful. But the dress felt so wrong…she felt uneasy about the entire situation.

“Alex?” She heard from behind her. She turned around and quickly swallowed the nausea creeping up her throat. It was just Leighanne. “Hi!”

“Hi, Leighanne,” Alex smiled warmly. “I am so glad to see you. I was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable…” she confessed without really realizing it. She just felt very comfortable around the blonde Southern woman.

“Aw, please, come join my husband and I,” Leighanne felt bad that the woman was by herself.

“Oh, it’s okay!” Alex quickly interfered. Where Leighanne and her husband were was where she would most likely find Nick. She wasn’t sure she was ready for that moment. “My friend, Kerstin, is here. She just disappeared at the bar.” She shrugged.

“Okay…” Leighanne smiled and nodded. “Well, please come stop by and join us in a little bit. The boys are about to go on the stage to perform the concert portion of tonight’s benefit, and at that time I’ll be by myself and that’s never fun, so please come over and keep my company.” She said sweetly.

Alex nodded and promised she would find the table. As Leighanne disappeared into the crowd to socialize a bit more, Alex took the time to glance around the hall. She didn’t recognize a soul. Everyone looked so prestigious…so important. Alex knew she wasn’t like these other people. She would never be these people.

“Hey,” Kerstin sighed and handed Alex a drink. Alex eyed the drink cautiously and then looked back at her friend who couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped her lips. “I swear it’s a harmless diet coke. Promise.”

“No alcohol?” Alex’s eyebrows raised at the question. Kerstin stuck out her pinky.

“No alcohol,” the girls did the childish “pinky promise” and smiled. Alex glanced around the room with a heavy sigh, her thoughts returning to her previous worries. “Listen, Allie,” Kerstin muttered, noticing her friend’s uneasiness. “You look absolutely beautiful. You deserve to be here. Don’t be so uptight all the time, okay?” Alex nodded, even though she wasn’t sure she necessarily agreed.

Kerstin wished her friend could realize how gorgeous she really was. The black dress really did hang in all the right places and emphasize all the perfect curves. Alex had finally allowed her to pull her hair back into a loose bun with many little strands outlining her round face. The make-up was classy and Kerstin made sure not to overdo it. She didn’t want Alex to feel ridiculous. Alex took a sip of her drink, half-hoping to taste a little alcohol. Maybe it would make her relax. “Leighanne came over to say hi.”

“Did she?” Kerstin smiled, completely hopeful that the night would play out.

“She asked me to go and sit with her at her table,” she sighed. “I said I’d be over after the boys went on stage.”

Kerstin frowned and refrained from slapping Alex. “What are you thinking? We’re here so you can get with Nick and make him realize how truly sexy you are so you can pull this novel out of your ass.” Kerstin muttered. “Where’d she go?” She tried standing on her tip toes to see over the heads of all the people and spot Leighanne’s bright blonde hair. As she noticed the table, she pulled Alex with her to go say hi.

“Kerstin,” Alex rolled her eyes. “Please, let me do this on my own time. I don’t want to be the little puppy dog you pull around. I’m a grown woman.”

“Then do something,” Kerstin muttered. “The bartender was pretty sexy…I’m going to go chat. You better be at that table when I get back.” Even though Alex really didn’t want Kerstin to leave, she knew she had to do this on her own. She took the final gulp of her soda and made her way to the round table full of four men and Leighanne.

“Alex! I’m glad you decided to come over,” Leighanne stood up to be polite and greet her new found friend. She reached her arms out and hugged her then turned back to her friends staring at her.

Alex swallowed the lump in her dry throat to try and entice words to come out of her mouth. “H-Hi. Thanks for inviting me,” she tried to be polite.

“Guys, this is Alex McIntosh. Alex, this is my husband, Brian. Next to him is Nick Carter, AJ McLean and Howie Dorough,” Leighanne introduced.

Alex tried to pull her eyes away from Nick’s but couldn’t bring herself to do so. “Hi, it’s nice to meet all of you.” She smiled sweetly. The boys reciprocated the greeting and fell back into their own conversations. All but Nick. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from that girl. Questions were running through her head. Why did that dress have to look so sexy? What the hell was she doing here, anyway? Was she stalking him? Was she invited? Coincidence, or no coincidence? He couldn’t answer all the questions.

“Thank you so much for coming tonight,” Brian smiled to be polite and fill his role as host of the evening. “Where are you from?”

“Syracuse,” Alex smiled and took a sip of the champagne a waiter offered her. She smiled politely, needing the alcohol to relax her nerves.

“Alex and I met this morning while shopping,” Leighanne smiled and entered conversation as she, too, sipped her champagne. “We were talking about how we feel comfortable at home and I was telling her about Georgia…” she elbowed Brian in the rib playfully.

“Which is exactly why we have a home in Georgia,” he laughed and rubbed his stomach where she had made contact. He kissed her cheek. “So my baby can feel comfortable.” Leighanne smiled.

“We’re never there enough,” Leighanne rolled her eyes and looked back to Alex. Alex smirked, a little curious as to why Leighanne was so comfortable with her to tell her these things. Leighanne saw the uncertainty in Alex’s eyes and gently placed her hand on top of her’s. “I’m so sorry,” she giggled. “It’s just, I’m surrounded by these goofs all day long and I don’t really have much female company…”

“It’s fine,” Alex smiled and placed her other hand on top of Leighanne’s. “It’s sad these days when we have to worry about trusting people that we just meet. I guess I was just taken back by your kindness.” She smiled. Leighanne was a sweetheart and she was glad she was there. Leighanne made her feel so much more comfortable.

“Y-You’re…” Nick stuttered a little, finally able to say something to the girl.

Alex blushed and tried to think of what she was supposed to say. “From the club…” she finished for him. “Again…I am so sorry about that whole…incident.” She bit her bottom lip, praying that he would believe it as just a “coincidence”.

He just nodded with a permanent frown planted on his face. He didn’t trust this girl, yet she was absolutely breathtaking. She seemed so sure of herself…something Nick hadn’t seen the night they went clubbing. The awkward nature had seemed to disappear. Maybe it was because she wasn’t drunk? Maybe he wasn’t seeing her clearly that night they had met?

“The club?” Leighanne frowned and looked at her.

“I didn’t realize he was a celebrity,” Alex laughed lightly and took another sip from the champagne. “My friend, Kerstin, and I had gone clubbing the other night and I ran into Nick…it’s actually a really embarrassing story…”

“Embarrassing stories are always fun,” Howie chimed in and smiled at the girl. He, too, found her quite beautiful.

“It’s not about me,” Nick rolled his eyes, then wondered if Alex really wanted him to tell the story. Instead, he took a long drink from his champagne and allowed her to tell the story if she really wanted.

“Well, I’m not a very heavy drinker…” Alex trailed on and traced an imaginary design on her tall glass. “But my friend had really encouraged me to go out and have a good time. Which, in her mind, that included alcohol.” She was embarrassed just to be telling this story. “Well, I got pretty drunk and found myself in the men’s bathroom…actually…Nick found me in the men’s bathroom.”

The table tried to hold in their laughter, but it really didn’t work well. “I’m sorry,” Howie laughed. “That really shouldn’t be funny…but it is.”

“No!” Alex smiled and laughed as well. “I know, it’s hilarious. Just somewhat embarrassing.” She shrugged and took another drink. God, she was definitely going to need another glass.

Nick couldn’t help but crack a smile. The way her eyes grew from laughing. “Hey Brian, you wanna come backstage for a second and check out the sound?” Nick asked. Brian knew the sound check had gone smoothly, but he also saw the hesitancy on Nick’s face.

“Yeah, sure thing,” Brian smiled and excused himself from the table. As they made their way backstage, he glanced at Nick. “What’s wrong, man?”

“Brian, you don’t think it’s weird that she ran into me at the club, then called my hotel room and left a message and then randomly shows up here tonight?” He frowned.

“Honestly? No,” Brian shrugged. “The club was pure accident. She was in the guy’s bathroom puking before you even got in there, right?” Nick nodded. “She even left. She didn’t hang around. You were the one that found her. Then, you were the one that gave her your number. She just called and left a message like any other normal person. She didn’t show up at your hotel room door or anything.” He shrugged. Nick let it all sit in and began to think. “Besides, she’s a friend of Leighanne’s. Leigh must have run into her shopping and invited her or something.” He shrugged. “You wanna know what I think?” Nick nodded. “I think it’s pure coincidence and possibly destiny knocking at your front door.” He patted his friend on the back.

Nick watched as he left to go back to the table. Alex looked beautiful. Her laugh was contagious. Her eyes pulled him in and held him there. He couldn’t turn away. Instead of fighting the urge, he decided to give in. He decided to get to know this girl better.
Chapter 9 by sarahmarie0727
“So, you’re a writer?” Howie frowned as the waiter brought more drinks for everyone. Alex nodded and smiled at the waiter appreciatively.

“Yes, but I haven’t published anything,” she shook her head. “The right idea just hasn’t come around yet.” She smirked as Nick approached the table again and sat down. “I work a little on the side as a freelance writer every now and then for a local newspaper.”

“That’s interesting,” AJ smiled, completely in a trance from her beautiful brown eyes. She smiled under all the attention and looked down at the table.

“Enough grilling,” Leighanne smiled and shook her head. “Alex, I think these boys might be crushing on you.” She smirked. Alex laughed, once more and blushed again.

“Isn’t that a weird coincidence? Your name is Alex…and my name is Alex,” AJ smirked. “I think fate is trying to bring us together…we better nip this in the ass before it’s too late.” He winked. Before he could stand and offer her his hand to walk around, Nick got to his feet and put his hand out.

“Alex, do you want to go over to the bar and get a drink?” He asked, completely oblivious that the waiter had just replenished all the drinks.

“Um…” she didn’t really know what to say. “Sure.” She smiled. This was her plan. She was trying to get Nick to fall madly in love with her. So she might as well get started.

“This is so weird…you being here,” he cleared his throat, really unsure of what to say. “I mean, crazy coincidence, huh? You meeting Leighanne and showing up at the benefit…”

“Yeah, I know…crazy,” Alex’s little confidence she once had began to diminish at his suspicion. “I tried calling you the other day…I really am sorry about the whole meeting in the bathroom thing.” She tucked one of the loose pieces of hair behind her ear.

“Please, stop apologizing,” he smirked, his confidence resurfacing.

“I had no idea you were in a band,” she muttered as they took their time making their way to the bar. He smirked down at her as they both leaned against the cool granite.

“Really?” He frowned. “Typically girls start stalking me when they find out I’m in a band.”

“You think I’m stalking you?” Alex was a little taken back by the statement. She didn’t need him to think she was following him around on purpose, even though she really was following him around on purpose.

“No…not necessarily,” he frowned. “See, I just think it’s kinda weird that you…” he trailed off when he realized it really wasn’t weird at all. Like Brian had said, it all unfolded to be a big coincidence. “Never mind. No, I don’t think you’re stalking me.” He smiled.

“Good…because that would be embarrassing,” she smiled. “And honestly, I think I’ve been embarrassed enough in front of you for one lifetime.”

“Ah, then you don’t know me well enough,” Nick laughed. This made Alex smile. God, he was so breathtaking. “I embarrass the hell out of myself everywhere I go. The guys and I have been together for over ten years now and everyone knows I’ve embarrassed myself in front of them enough times for one lifetime.” Alex smiled and leaned against the bar.

“What can I get you?” The bartender interrupted.

“I’ll just have a coke and rum,” Nick smirked at the bartender and glanced at Alex for her order. She bit her bottom lip, completely unsure of what to order. She was new at this. And wasn’t a coke and rum slightly tacky for a celebrity like Nick Carter? Then again, what did she know?

“Oh, um,” she watched a woman carry off a Cosmopolitan martini and smirked. “A Cosmo, please.” She smiled and opened up her black pocketbook to pay for the drink.

“It’s on me,” Nick’s hand stopped her and a smile graced his lips.

“Well, thank you,” she smiled and waited for the bartender to bring her drink. Nick took care of the cost and they fell into step, neither one really sure as to where they were going. “So, how’s life on the road?” She asked, trying to make small talk.

“We haven’t really done much touring lately,” Nick explained and took a sip from his drink. “We’ve been really busy back in the studio again trying to pull out another record. We had a fifth member who just left the band, so it’s been difficult trying to cover his share of the music without him here.”

“Understandable,” Alex nodded and took a drink. Wow, that was good. She smiled down at the drink in her hands, cautiously sipping it so she wouldn’t get ahead of herself. “I’m surprised you guys don’t get attacked by fans here at these kinds of events.” She looked around. Most of the guests were grown adults.

“We don’t really appeal to this crowd…I mean, most of our fans are older women…well, not older. More like…your age?” Nick tried to explain.

“Are you calling me old?” Alex laughed sarcastically. She knew it wasn’t his intention, but a little flirting never killed anyone.

“No!” Nick laughed and tried to recover. He realized she was just joking and shook his head. “See, we started out as a band when we were much younger. Back in 1993 they formed the Backstreet Boys. Since we were in our teens, most of our fans were teenage girls. They kinda grew with us…”

“That’s nice, in a way,” Alex nodded in agreement as they found their way to an open balcony leading outside. “I mean, you get to have the same fans through the entire growth of the band. Kind of like, they watch you grow, you watch them grow.”

“Very true,” Nick agreed with a smile. This girl was amazing him. She was absolutely gorgeous and she was smart, from what he could tell. And he knew she wasn’t a fan from her lack of knowledge on the Backstreet Boys. “Not too sound like a cocky asshole or anything, but I’m really surprised you’ve never heard of us.”

“I never said I hadn’t heard of you,” Alex corrected as she leaned against the beautiful stone railing separating her from the ground six floors below her. “I just said I wasn’t a fan…because I’m not.” She smirked at him. “Sorry.” Her voice dipped low to a whisper.

“It’s not a problem,” Nick scrunched up his nose and looked down at the liquor and soda in his cup. “To be honest, it’s kind of a relief. I mean, everywhere we go, girls know who we are and want to get with us because of that reason…we’re famous and have money…”

Alex turned so her back was now against the railing. “Who said I wanted to get with you, Mr. Carter?” She frowned with a smirk pulling at the corner of her lip. “I think you’re reading too much into this situation…” Nick was speechless. His mouth hung open as if there was something he wanted to say but the words weren’t coming. Alex busted into laughter and gently placed her hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Nick, relax. I’m kidding.”

“So, you do want to get with me?” He frowned, trying to understand what she was saying, but also trying to put the embarrassment back on her.

“Well, I…uh,” she bit her bottom lip, her heart pounding furiously in her chest. “I-I never said…”

Nick laughed and shook his head. Both had been humiliated in front of the other now. Before she could object, Nick leaned in closer to her and brought his mouth to her ear. Before speaking, he licked his lips. The warmth from his breath made little hairs stand up on the back of Alex’s neck. “You embarrass me, I embarrass you. We’re even.” And with that, he began to walk inside. He turned and put his hand out to offer to her. “You coming?”

Alex swallowed the lump in her throat and quickly downed the rest of her drink, nodding vigorously.
Chapter 10 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thank you, again, for reviewing! As long as I have readers, I'll have a story to write :]
“First of all, I’d like to thank all of you for coming tonight,” Brian smiled from the center of the stage. Alex and Kerstin had joined Leighanne back at the table while the boys went backstage to prepare for the fifteen minute concert the guests had been promised. “This really means a lot to my wife and I, so thank you.”

“Have you ever heard any of their songs?” Leighanne whispered in Alex’s ear as Brian continued to thank people and the boys entered the stage.

“A few on the radio,” Alex shrugged. “But other than that? Not really.”

“Oh, well then you’re in for an exciting night,” she winked. Alex couldn’t really tell if Leighanne was being serious or sarcastic. She watched as the four boys made their way to their own microphones. Brian was the first to sing.

Close your eyes, make a wish
That this could last forever
If only you could stay with me now
So tell me what it is
That keeps us from each other now
Yeah, it’s coming to get me
You’re under my skin.


Alex had to admit to herself. She was very impressed. Brian sounded great on the radio, but even better in person. She was shocked at how breathless his voice made her.

No, I can’t let you go
You’re a part of me now
Caught by the taste of your kiss
And I don’t want to know
The reason why
I can’t stay forever like this
Now I’m climbing the walls
‘Cause I miss you.


Even though Alex wasn’t completely familiar with Nick or his voice, she could distinctly pick it out from the other boys’ voices. And God it made him even more sexy, in her opinion.

“Jesus Christ, these boys can really belt it out,” Kerstin whispered to both Leighanne and Alex. Leighanne smiled and nodded.

“They really can,” she agreed. Alex was in a trance that she couldn’t quite pull herself out of. There was something amazing about Nick that really pulled her in but she wasn’t able to put her finger on what it was. Maybe it was the way his blue eyes caught her brown eyes and wouldn’t let go. Or maybe it was his sexy voice that seemed to touch a nerve in her body. His perfect blonde hair wasn’t helping the situation.

As the song ended, Alex turned to Leighanne with a look of shock. “I knew they were in a band but my God, I had no idea they could really sing like that.” Leighanne laughed and patted her new friend on the back as the next song began to start up and the crowd stopped applauding.

After the short concert was over, the boys all returned to the table, accepting compliments along the way from guests that hadn’t realized how incredible their voices were. “You look like you need a new drink…” Nick approached Alex from the back, taking her by surprise.

She spun around with a smile on her face. “I think I’m better off with an empty glass. I don’t think you really want me to have to find another men’s restroom to empty my stomach in tonight.” She winked and placed her martini glass on the table.

Nick nodded and rocked back on his heels with his hands in his pockets. “So…what’d you think?” He questioned with his head cocked to the side, waiting for her approval. “I really would like to know what a non-fan thinks of the music.”

“Well…” Alex tried to sound disappointed to make him a little nervous. “I thought it was…interesting.” She smirked at his expression. He looked truly hurt that she hadn’t enjoyed herself. “I’m kidding!” She quickly corrected and let her manicured hand rest gently upon his biceps. “It was absolutely amazing. You really took my breath away. And honestly?” She leaned in close to whisper as if it was a big secret. “I think you may have just converted me to a fan…”

Nick’s face lit up like a little kid’s at Christmas. “Really?” He sounded thrilled. “Because the microphones really weren’t transferring the sound the way we wanted them to…” he trailed off, realizing she had no idea what he was talking about. “You should check out a real concert when we start touring again.”

“I might just have to,” Alex winked as Kerstin approached her. “Nick, have you met my roommate, Kerstin Andrews?”

“Briefly, I think,” Nick squinted trying to remember why this girl looked so familiar.

“Yeah, I was with Alex at the club,” Kerstin smiled politely. If only Nick knew why she was really smiling. She was so excited for Alex. It looked as if her plan was working out perfectly.

“Oh, that’s right!” Nick smiled. “Well, it’s nice to meet you.”

“You too,” Kerstin smiled. “Allie, I hate to be a party crasher but I have to get back to the apartment. I have to work early tomorrow and I have three missed calls from Parker,” she rolled her eyes. Parker was Kerstin’s boyfriend. She didn’t want Alex to know, but she had been having serious problems with him for quite some time.

“O-Oh, okay,” Alex shrugged and turned back to Nick. “I better go, too. We kinda have this buddy system and I don’t want anything bad to happen…” She glanced back at Kerstin.

“No! You stay, I’ll be fine. I’m going to call Parker and have him meet me here. We have a lot of things we need to talk about. He can walk me back home,” Kerstin assured her friend. “But what about you?” She glanced at Nick, hoping he would take the golden opportunity to offer to take her home.

“I’ll make sure she gets home safely,” Nick smiled and put his arm protectively on the small of Alex’s back. Alex’s eyebrows raised in the touch of his fingers on the satin material of her dress. He was falling for her. And not only was he falling, but he was falling hard.

“Oh, how sweet,” Kerstin shot a cheesy grin in Alex’s direction. Alex blushed a light pink color as her friend reached out to hug her. “You want me to stay with Parker tonight?” She whispered so Alex could hear.

“No!” Alex tried to whisper back but from Kerstin’s question shocked her. “Just…go.” She muttered and they separated. Kerstin laughed and shook her head.

“Well, nice meeting you Nick,” she smiled and shook his hand. “Make sure my best friend gets home in one piece.” She winked at Alex who just rolled her eyes.

Nick smiled and nodded in return. “She seems nice.” Nick smiled.

“She is,” Alex sighed. “She’s been my best friend for years. We’ve been through a lot together. You just have to get to know her and then she’s easier to understand.” Alex joked with a smile.

Nick smiled and wrapped his arms around Alex’s waist, pulling her in closer to him. With a seductive look in his ocean blue eyes, he whispered, “She’s not exactly the one I’m interested in getting to know…” Before Alex could protest, his lips covered her’s in a tender kiss.
Chapter 11 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews.
What the hell had happened last night? This time Alex was asking that question fully understanding what had happened the previous night. She had started to fall for Nick Carter. That couldn’t happen. He was her subject. She sat in front of her laptop with her hands folded neatly in front of her. She had spoken to Mr. Reynolds and he agreed that they wouldn’t be able to get away with using Nick’s name…it was too risky and they were sure they would be thrown a law suit. So, instead, she had to use a false name and place him in a pretend band. Even though she didn’t have to mention Nick’s name, she had to create the moments they shared together.

As she typed out the opening to her story, a smile curved upon her lips at the thought of meeting him in the men’s restroom. She still couldn’t get over the fact that they had initially met up in the freaking bathroom. She shook her head and continued on with her story.

“Damn you, Alex,” Kerstin mumbled as she sipped her coffee and entered the kitchen area.

“What the hell climbed up your ass and died?” Alex frowned and glanced up from her computer only for a second to see the look on her friend’s face.

“Well, for one, you weren’t supposed to be here…” Kerstin mumbled. “I figured you and Carter would have gotten into a heavy make-out session on the way home and he would have taken you to his hotel or something.” She plopped down in a chair and ran her hand through her red locks.

“He’s not a pompous asshole, Kerstin,” Alex sighed and shook her head as she continued reminiscing through her story.

“Well that sucks for your story,” Kerstin took another long drink from her coffee. “What time did you get home last night, anyway? I didn’t hear you come in.”

“One-ish?” Alex guessed with a frown. “Why are you home? Weren’t you meeting with Parker last night?” She asked. She loved Kerstin and Parker to death, but anyone that knew the couple also could tell they couldn’t keep their hands off each other. Alex liked to refer to them as “the rabbits”.

Kerstin sighed and let her French manicured finger run over the mug with her warm coffee in it. “Parker and I aren’t working, Alex.” She mumbled. She had called Parker the night before and he had walked her home. They couldn’t stop arguing, so he left almost immediately. “We decided to take a break…”

“Kerst, I’m so sorry,” Alex finally pushed the laptop out of the way and went to the opposite side of the table to console Kerstin. “I had no idea. Do you want to go out for ice cream and rent a few movies? We can come home and just have a girl’s day.”

“No,” Kerstin shook her head and dabbed her eyes dry. “I have to go to work in a few hours, anyway. I need to get out. Besides, what I really want for you to do is call lover boy and make plans.”

“Ah, not today,” Alex shook her head. “I have got to work on this novel. Tomorrow’s Friday and I definitely don’t even have a start to this thing.” She sighed. She wanted so badly to tell Kerstin the details from the previous night. She was so excited she finally had details. Kerstin was always the one that would rush home to share her romantic escapades night after night. But Alex could already feel an attachment to Nick growing deep inside her and that was very, very bad. Nick was just a character in her novel. Nothing more, nothing less. She didn’t want there to be an attachment.

“Oh, okay,” Kerstin nodded. She couldn’t help but wonder if maybe she was wrong…maybe her friend wasn’t romantically interested in Nick Carter. The glances the two kept giving each other the night before had seemed flirtatious, but maybe she was reading too much into it.

“But listen, if you need me at all during the day, I’ll have my phone on, okay? And maybe tonight we can do something…go out, or something,” Alex suggested. She really did feel bad for Kerstin. Kerstin and Parker had been dating for years and it had been fairly serious.

“Thanks, Allie,” Kerstin smiled appreciatively and rubbed her friend’s hand. “I’m gonna go take a shower and get ready.”

Alex nodded and continued typing furiously on her computer. She didn’t know how things would turn out just yet. She could only hope it would work out in her favor. Her thoughts were quickly interrupted by the ringing phone. “Hello?” Alex answered angrily. She thought it would be Parker.

“Um, is Alex there?” She heard the male voice on the other end.

“Speaking,” she frowned, completely oblivious as to who was on the other end.

“Hey Alex…this is Nick,” Nick said. Alex smiled and blushed, embarrassed that she hadn’t been able to distinguish his voice from the moment she answered the phone.

“Oh, hey, Nick. Sorry about that. My roommate, Kerstin, broke up with her boyfriend last night because he was an ass and...” she caught herself and laughed uncomfortably as she realized she was going into too much detail. “Sorry…I got carried away. Too much information.”

“No! It’s okay,” Nick chuckled as well, pleasantly surprised she felt comfortable enough with him to open up like that. “Is your roommate okay?” He sounded genuinely concerned.

“I think so,” Alex sighed. “I offered to just hang out with her all day and do girl stuff but she really wants to go to work and get out of the house…” she explained as she saved the document on her computer, feeling a long conversation coming over her. “But enough about us…what’s up?”

“Well, I was actually wondering if you would want to do something today…but I completely understand if you want to hang around your place incase Kerstin needs you or something,” Nick explained. Alex bit her bottom lip and looked at the nearly blank document in front of her. She really needed to work on this story. Then again, what better way to work on it by living it out some more? She needed more story ideas, anyway.

“I think Kerstin will be okay at work. I definitely want to be here when she gets home tonight, but for now she’s okay,” she glanced at her watch. 10:00 AM. Kerstin’s medical hours were insane. Alex assumed her shift would be from one o’clock in the afternoon until ten o’clock tonight. Kerstin usually put in extra hours whenever she worked. “Plus, her shift tonight doesn’t end until nine. So, I’m free for the day.”

“Great,” Nick smiled. “I was thinking I could drive back into Syracuse for the day and we could get ice cream or something?”

“Drive into Syracuse?” Alex frowned. “You were in Syracuse last night…where are you now?”

“Our hotel is in downtown…it would only be about a four hour drive or so…”

“Four hour drive?! Nick, that’s crazy,” Alex stood up from her seat in the kitchen. “Do you want to meet half way or something? I mean, for you to drive four hours is kinda insane…”

“It really isn’t. I have a driver and a car that isn’t mine…and I’m kind of already on my way,” he chuckled. Alex shook her head and laughed. “I guess it would have been bad if you weren’t home, huh?”
Chapter 12 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
I'll be out of my house all day today and won't be home until very late tonight, so this will be all for today! :[ I'll have more out tomorrow for sure. Thank you for the reviews!! Keep 'em coming!!
“I love Syracuse,” Nick smiled and breathed in the scent of the summer air. “It’s so different than the big cities we stay in all the time.”

“Yeah, it’s a nice place,” Alex smiled. “I stay here for work, really. I mean, it’s gorgeous but the winters get to me. Too much snow and not enough sun.”

“Where do you work?” Nick frowned. He realized there was so much he didn’t know about this girl and definitely not enough time to begin to even understand.

“I’m a writer…freelance, really,” Alex tried to explain. “I stay near the Manhattan area just in case a publisher ever thinks my work is good enough…” she wanted so badly to open up to him and tell her all about her novel. But she knew there was no way she could.

“I’m sure it’s great,” Nick nudged her and smiled. She smiled back, completely fascinated with Alex. She seemed like such a bookworm to him, yet she was more socially inviting than any of the bookworms he had met in the past. “What do you write about?”

“Oh…everything?” She lied. “Really whatever crazy ideas pop into my head.” She shrugged. “Where do you live? I mean, I know you guys travel constantly, but where’s your home?”

“Florida,” Nick sighed and smiled. “These days I’ve been living back and forth between my place in Florida and my place in California.” He explained.

“I’ve never been,” Alex smiled a small smile. “I’ve heard it’s absolutely beautiful there…”

“It is,” Nick was so enthusiastic as he went into detail of his home in Florida. “It’s right on the water…I can take my boat and jet ski out whenever I want! It’s perfect!” Alex giggled at his excitement and shook her head.

“You’re so lucky. You get to travel the world and see all these places,” Alex blushed, feeling completely ridiculous for what she was about to say. “I’ve never even been to the beach before. I mean, I used to go to Lake Eerie every once and a while when I was a kid and my parents felt like driving into Ohio to visit family.” She shrugged. “But Lake Eerie does not even begin to compare to the ocean.”

Nick stared at her wide-eyed. “You’ve never been to the ocean?” He gasped. Alex laughed and shook her head no. “Are you kidding me? You have to promise me you’ll go. It’s the most amazing place…in the world.” Alex had no idea when she’d get the chance, but to make him happy, she promised. “I mean, I’ve been to Japan and Australia and…lots of places…” he glanced down, wondering if Alex was paying any attention. To his surprise, she looked fully interested in what he was saying. “But nothing compares to the beach. It’s my sanctuary.”

Alex’s big brown eyes fell on Nick’s blue eyes and she smiled. “See, I wish I had a place like that.” She sighed heavily as they approached a bench in the center of a grassy field where college students rested on beach towels and blankets.

“You don’t have a comfort zone?” Nick frowned. Alex thought about it for a second and shook her head ‘no’. “What about the library or work?”

“Gee, thanks for not stereotyping me,” Alex said sarcastically and rolled her eyes.

“Well…I mean…” Nick didn’t really know what to say as his cheeks flushed. “No offense, but you don’t really come across as the partier that doesn’t come home at night…”

“Probably because I’m not,” Alex admitted with a shrug of her shoulders. “And if we’re being honest, Nick, you don’t seem like the kind of guy that would fall for girls like me.” She stated matter-of-factly. Nick nodded and raised his eyebrows.

“Touché,” he folded his arms across his chest. “So, I’m not usually interested in your type. There’s something different about you, Alex. I can’t tell you what it is because I don’t know…”

“Are you attracted to me?” Alex blushed. She was soaking up this positive attention and couldn’t help but wonder what this blonde man saw in her. Nick chuckled and folded his hands in his lap.

“I guess you could say there’s an attraction there…” he shrugged. He felt awkward with her questioning him like this. He wasn’t the typical guy to belt out his feelings. He was a typical player in the game of Hard-To-Get. Unless he was only into the night for sex, he wouldn’t let a lady know his feelings. “At first, you scared the hell out of me.” He laughed.

“What?!” Alex nearly choked on air at the absurdity of his statement. “Why would I scare you? I’m one of those people that can’t even harm a fly.”

“I wasn’t scared that you were going to ‘harm’ me,” he quoted her with a roll of his eyes. “I was…a little confused. You were…I don’t know, I probably shouldn’t say this…” he went back on his words with a nervous laugh. “Just…forget I ever said anything.”

“Oh, yeah, that’s possible,” Alex muttered sarcastically. “Come on, Nick. You can tell me. I swear, I won’t be upset or anything. Let me guess? After our little run-in in the restroom you were pretty freaked thinking I was some guy dressed like a girl?” She assumed with a hint of glee in her voice.

“Not exactly…” Nick mumbled. “In the bathroom I actually thought you were pretty hot.” He said under his breath ever so slightly so Alex had to wonder if she really heard his words at all.

“You thought I was attractive?” She whispered. Damn her emotions. She couldn’t help the tears filling her eyes. No boy had ever thought of her as attractive. Attractive was one of those words people used for cheerleaders or socially enhanced girls…girls like Kerstin. No one ever noticed Kerstin’s “ugly roommate”.

Nick’s brow frowned with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “Well…yeah,” he shrugged. “You are attractive.” He watched her pretend she had something in her eye as she wiped away a few tears that had slipped out. “You okay?” He frowned. His confusion was getting the best of him again. Why was this girl so strange sometimes?

“Yeah, I think a bug got in my eye or something,” she laughed and shook away the feelings. “Well, then, what was the problem?” She brought Nick back on topic and drifted away from his compliment.

Nick’s attention deficit really played a positive role in Alex’s conversation with him as he began to think of how to word what he was about to say. “Don’t take this the wrong way,” he started. She shook her head, promising she wouldn’t. “I was just a little taken back by your…awkwardness?” He explained.

“Awkwardness?” Alex frowned, unsure of what he meant.

“You weren’t really…into me, if you know what I mean,” Nick sighed. “When we were dancing, your eyes kept darting between me and other people in the club. And I mean if it wasn’t for Macy…” he stopped. He cursed to himself for mentioning the name. God damn his lack of common sense. Why couldn’t he have just stopped after he mentioned the club scene?

“Wait…who’s Macy?” Alex frowned as she scooted away from Nick so she could get a good look in his eyes. Her eyes moved back and forth between his two eyes.

Nick blinked a few times and licked his lips. “N-No one important,” he muttered with a shrug. Why did he feel like it was such a big deal? It wasn’t like he and Alex were together. He rolled his eyes and decided to take a chance. “She’s my ex-girlfriend. I wanted to try and make her jealous…and I ran into you in the bathroom…and it seemed like a good idea.”

Alex nodded. She didn’t really know what to say. She didn’t want to possessive over Nick, because there really wasn’t much of a relationship there, anyway. Besides, she was using him just as much (if not more) and she didn’t warrant the right to yell at him. “I don’t know why you would think I’d be upset,” she laughed and patted his knee. “It’s not like we’re more than friends anyway. I mean, if that. I haven’t really known you that long.” And with that, she stood up and started walking on the sidewalk. Maybe it was time she start making up this story instead of living it out. It wasn’t like Mr. Reynolds would have any idea. Nick wasn’t worth the pain she was beginning to feel. Nick wasn’t supposed to make her feel pain.
Chapter 13 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
I apologize for the wait!! I'm actually moving out tomorrow and going off to college. I'm taking a few summer classes since it's my freshman year to get adjusted. Anyway! That's why there's been a serious lack of updates lately. And I really can't promise when the next one will be out. Probably not this weekend because I'll be moving in. Maybe Monday? Monday's my first day of classes, so we'll see!! More reviews, please :]!!
Alex’s words kept replaying in Nick’s head. Had he screwed up? Had he read too much into this? He didn’t really comprehend what was happening, but he followed Alex with his hands shoveled deep into his jean pockets. “So…” he mumbled to try and spark conversation since she had allowed it to die.

“Got a girlfriend?” Alex asked, completely determined to keep Nick Carter an acquaintance rather than a friend.

Nick stopped in his tracks and shook his head. He reached out and touched her arm gently. “No, I don’t.” He mumbled. He looked deep into her eyes, completely confused by her sudden change of attitude. “Look, if I offended you or something…”

She didn’t give him a chance to finish. “Offended me? Why would you say that? Nick, we’re just friends. Why in the world would I be offended by a comment like that?” Half of her tone was sarcastic. She really was offended. She knew she wasn’t pretty enough to be a trophy girl to just hang on someone’s arm. She had hoped she was. But she knew she wasn’t.

“Listen, Alex,” Nick stopped her again by clutching her arm before she could walk away. “I really do like you. I don’t know why. But I swear I do. I’m sorry at first it was just to make an ex jealous…” he mumbled. Why was he expressing his feelings like this? He had only known the girl for about three days or so. Why was he so worried about losing whatever it was he had. “But feelings change…and they really changed with you. There’s something about you…something real and something genuine. And I like having that in my life.”

“Nick, I’ve only know you for a few days,” Alex frowned and shook him off of her politely. “How can feelings be changing when you don’t even know me?”

“I want to know you,” he shrugged, hoping that was good enough. “I really do. Like I said, there’s something different about you.” He frowned.

“Like what?” Alex muttered with a frown. He kept repeating himself – so there was something different about her? What he didn’t know was that there was a lot different about her. She wasn’t who he thought she was. Not at all.

“I don’t really know how to explain it…” he mumbled. His brow creased and he looked down at the pavement, hoping to find his answers there. “It’s like the way you look at me…I’m not just an item or object to you. I’m a person. You aren’t interested in the media taking pictures of you like most of my girlfriends. You aren’t a trophy.” He tried to explain.

Alex just stared at him, completely surprised at his opinion of her. He was right. She wasn’t a trophy. What surprised her most was that he wasn’t interested in having a trophy girlfriend. He was just interested in her. “I-I don’t understand.” She frowned.

“What I’m trying to say,” he whispered and clasped her hands in his. “Is that I’m really interested in you, Alex. It’s weird for me…because I’m not usually a relationship kind of person.” He blushed. She could tell he was embarrassed to admit that.

“I-I…” she didn’t know what to say. Part of her wanted to admit that she had feelings for him too. She knew that she really liked him. That had to be obvious. But she also knew she had to follow through with this novel. Not only was Mr. Reynolds counting on her, but she was counting on herself. She needed this breakthrough.

“You don’t have to lie to me, Alex,” Nick sighed and kissed her hands, then let them fall beside her. “If you don’t have the feelings I don’t want you to pretend. That’s something I would do.” He shoved his hands back into his pockets and kept walking.

Alex stared at his back blankly. She couldn’t help the feeling of tears in her eyes. He was everything she could have wanted in a boyfriend plus more. He was a celebrity for Christ’s sake. She had never been involved with anyone let alone a celebrity.

“Nick,” she grabbed his bicep quickly to pull him back around to face her. She could see the touch of hope in his eyes. He wanted her to say it. Hell, she wanted to say it. “I really like you, too. And I swear I’m not just saying that.” It was the truth. She was really falling for this guy. “But I don’t know you. I don’t do well trusting people I don’t know and to be involved with someone you have to trust them. I’d love to get to know you. I just don’t want you to feel like you belong to me…”

Nick smiled and kissed her cheek gently. “Are you actually telling me you wanna go casual?” He laughed. Alex frowned, not completely following. “Sorry, it’s just usually girls are incredibly clingy and get all weird about seeing other people. And you just suggested it.”

Alex blushed deeply. She wasn’t familiar with all the rules and codes of being a girl in a relationship. “Sorry…” she mumbled. “I’m not really used to this whole…relationship thing…”

“Well, are we in a relationship?” Nick frowned. Alex didn’t really seem to know what she wanted.

“Not yet…” she looked up at him and decided it was her turn to take the reigns. “But I’d like to be someday.”
Chapter 14 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
AH! I have been gone forever [or so it seems?] College is chaotic!!! The work load is insane, and I'm only taking SUMMER classes! I'm afraid to know what fall is like. With that said, here's chapter 14! It's short [my apologies]. Hopefully I can get another chapter out within the next few days!! Please review! Thanks!
“What do you mean, she’s complicated, Nick?” Brian frowned and took a chug from the bottle of Bud Light. “She seems great!”

“I never said she wasn’t great,” Nick shook his head and peeled a little of the beer label away on his own bottle. “She’s one of those girls you can’t just jump into a relationship with, ya know? You have to actually…” he hesitated, not sure what word he was looking for.

“Build one?” Brian chuckled and shook his head. “Welcome to the real world, buddy.” He stood up, still laughing after his friend’s previous remark and patted Nick on the back.

Nick sighed and rolled his eyes, soaking in the scene from the nightclub. He smiled as he spotted her. Damn, she was beautiful. She never ceased to amaze him in the short time that he had known her. Alex’s brown hair was flowing all around her shoulders in loose curls. Her big brown eyes made Nick’s lips turn up in a smile. The long black tube top was sexy but sophisticated, hugging her in all the right places. Her dark blue jeans clung tightly to her and the heels accented her legs. Nick stood to his feet and went to greet her. “You look amazing.” He mumbled softly in her ear and kissed her cheek on his way back up.

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” she winked and smiled, blushing from his appearance. His black dress shirt was perfect for his form. His appearance always made her weak in the knees. “Nick, you remember my roommate, Kerstin?” Alex leaned forward and reintroduced.

“Absolutely,” Nick smiled politely. “Nice to see you again.”

“You too,” Kerstin nodded in agreement. Kerstin looked around the club and caught the eyes of a tall man off in the distance. “I’m gonna go dance.” She smiled at Alex and walked away.

Alex smiled and shook her head. “She’s always looking for the guys…” she laughed and tucked a strand of hair behind her double pierced ear. Nick smiled at the way she seemed so happy and carefree.

“What about you?” Nick questioned. Alex frowned, confused by his question. “Do you always seek out the hot guys?” He smirked and leaned toward her to whisper in her ear. Alex’s eyes darted between Nick’s eyes and the floor below her.

“I’ve already found one…” she smiled with crimson colored cheeks. Nick smiled at her answer and nodded approvingly.

“Well. Why don’t you dance with this guy you’ve already spotted?” He joked and nudged her arm gently. She laughed and glanced into his ocean blue eyes.

“If he asked me…I’d say yes,” she smirked back. At that note, Nick offered her his hand and motioned to the dance floor. The couple met in the middle of the floor as “Buy You A Drink” blasted through the speakers. Alex’s stomach was full of butterflies. Nick made every breath get stuck in the center of her throat. He didn’t even have to touch her to make her weak in the knees. A simple glance from his blue eyes made her heart flutter.

Nick wrapped his arms firmly around Alex’s middle as they found a comfortable rhythm in the music. Alex smiled at how amazing his hands felt. They were so big and so strong and had this way of making her feel safe and sexy at the same time. His hands gently massaged her lower back as she wrapped her arms comfortably around his neck and pulled his head down to hers. Nick smirked and licked his lips, seducing Alex more than ever. Alex smiled and closed her eyes, tugging on his neck for a soft, yet passionate kiss. It was only their second kiss, but Alex felt perfect doing it.

“Do you realize how sexy you’re being?” Nick muttered softly in her ear as he gently kissed her neck.

“Am I?” Alex smirked sarcastically. She tilted her neck at the feeling of Nick’s warm breath on her skin. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re being pretty seductive yourself, Mr. Carter.”

Nick laughed and smiled as his eyes danced in hers. Alex bit her bottom lip as he kissed her once more. He was perfect. This felt perfect.
Chapter 15 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
SO. This chapter is very long & exciting! I hope you all enjoy!! Let me know!
“Do you always have this kind of effect on girls,” Alex smirked as she and Nick approached the bar. Nick smirked and shook his head slowly. “That can’t be true. You’re Nick Carter. You must have that infamous charm on every woman you lay eyes on.”

“Ah, but not purposely,” he shook a finger in front of Alex’s eyes and smirked. “I only try to get that outcome from certain women. And lately? The only woman I’ve tried to have an effect over…is you.” He mumbled. Alex blushed at his bluntness. Why is he being so honest with me? Alex questioned herself. “I’m being serious, by the way.” He smiled and kissed her cheek gently. “What can I get you to drink?” He asked, completely switching the subject around. Alex smirked and bit her bottom lip gently.

“I could go for a cosmopolitan right about now,” Alex smirked and gasped softly as she was pushed gently from the side and fell towards Nick. Nick instinctively brought his arms out and placed them around Alex to steady her.

“You sure about that?” Nick chuckled softly. “You haven’t even had one yet and you’re already falling all over the place.” He winked, completely joking. Alex rolled her eyes and turned at the soft touch on her shoulder.

“I’m so sorry, Miss,” the woman smiled.

“No problem,” Alex shook her head with a smile.

“M-Macy?” Nick frowned, completely shocked to see her there. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m clubbing, Nickolas,” Macy sighed and raised her eyebrows momentarily. “And you?” She muttered and sent a rude glance Nick’s way.

“Didn’t realize you were the only one that was allowed to go clubbing, Macy,” Nick muttered with more rudeness than Alex had heard from his own lips since she had met him. She had heard he had quite the temper, but she had yet to see it.

“I see you’ve moved on. Big surprise,” Macy mumbled. Alex was a little taken back. She didn’t even know this girl. How dare she comment on her and Nick? “Be careful. He’s complicated. And if you haven’t figured it out already? He’s not like, great in bed or anything.” Macy scoffed and walked off with a drink.

“Damn her,” Nick mumbled and shook his head. “Listen, I’m sorry…” he mumbled. He handed the bartender the money for his and Alex’s drink, and ran his fingers through his hair. “I…uh, I need to step outside for a minute…” he mumbled. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” He made his way past Alex and didn’t bother to say anything else.

Alex was shocked, but didn’t make an effort to follow him. It really did sound like he needed to be alone for a little while. Alex sighed and twirled a curl around her index finger. “Hey!” Kerstin smiled from behind her.

“Hi!” Alex tried to sound excited and placed a smile on her lips as she took a sip from the cosmopolitan. “Are you having fun?” She smirked. Kerstin had a frown on her face.

“Where’s lover boy?” Kerstin asked curiously.

“He had to go outside for a minute…” Alex shrugged. “So, meet any hot guys yet?” She smiled, trying to distract her friend and change the subject. She knew her plan had worked when she saw the smile grace her friend’s lips.

“Yeah, actually, I did,” she smirked. “And he’s one of Nick’s friends. Howie.” She smiled. “He’s a total sweetheart and a really hot dancer.” She raised her eyebrows in approval.

“Awesome,” Alex smiled and took another sip from her drink. Her eyes drifted to the side as she watched the girl named Macy staring at her. “Um, can you hold on a second?”

“Yeah, definitely,” Kerstin smiled and made her way to the bar to grab a drink while her friend took care of whatever she needed to.

“Hi,” Alex muttered as she approached the woman she had just been introduced to with a small smile. “Is there something wrong?” She frowned. Alex was never one for confrontation, however lately Alex had been a different woman.

“No,” Macy shrugged and shook her head. “I’m just shocked, that’s all.” She took a sip from the drink she had in her own hands. “Nick usually isn’t the type to fall for your type.”

“And what is my type?” Alex folded her arms across her chest and frowned. What is wrong with me? She asked herself. Yet, it didn’t stop her.

“Hmm. The study type. The stay at home girl that never leaves her apartment unless it includes a trip to the library and a nice stop by a popular coffee shop where all the creepy writers hang out and lose themselves on their laptops,” she mumbled and Alex could clearly detect the attitude in her voice.

“Well, you must be mistaken,” Alex mumbled and began to walk by Macy. “Because Nick Carter is my type.” Alex muttered and walked by briskly, only to be yanked back by Macy’s arm.

“No, honey, you just think that. Along with the rest of the female population of America,” Macy muttered, this time much louder. A few people began to turn and look at the two girls.

“Oh really? Who’s the one with him at a club tonight?” Alex mumbled and downed the rest of her drink before placing the glass on a side table and taking a step back.

“Honey, he just wants to get you in bed,” Macy shook her head and laughed.

“You should really stop calling me that. I’m not dating you, last time I checked,” Alex said and stumbled backwards as Macy began to approach her even more closely than before. Alex swallowed the lump growing in her throat. Macy was giving the feeling that she was about to begin a fight. Now was, obviously, not the time to back down.

“Hah! Dating? You are not dating Nick Carter,” Macy shook her head angrily. “Nick Carter doesn’t date.” She reached her arms out and shoved Alex so her back was against a wall. Those people that hadn’t turned their heads to check out the scene yet automatically glanced over. Alex didn’t know what she was supposed to do next. She had seen a few fights in movies and read about them in stories, but she never knew how she would handle the situation because she had never placed herself in the situation. So upon instinct, she reached up and blocked the next blow from Macy.

“I never said we were dating!” Alex yelled loudly as Macy took a swing at her face. She made contact, too. My God, she made contact. Alex felt the sting from Macy’s fist pulsate through her eye and in the back of her head. She had to blink a few times before she could fully open her eyes, only to see Macy coming at her once more. Now she wasn’t scared about what to do…she was pissed. She brought her arm up and smacked Macy across the face as hard as she could.

“Bitch!” Macy yelled loudly and brought her hand up to hold her stinging cheek.

Suddenly the music stopped and bouncers were running over to separate the two girls. Alex could barely keep her eye open. During one of her blinking sessions, however, she spotted Nick running back into the club.

“What the hell happened?” Nick yelled to no one in particular. He went over to Alex and motioned for the bouncers to release her. “Are you okay?”

“She hit her first,” one of the people in the club that had seen everything happened expressed, trying to get across that Macy had, indeed, shoved and then swung at Alex.

“Do you always have to be a bitch?” Nick turned towards his ex girlfriend and shook his head. “Do you need a doctor?” He glanced at Alex who shook her head ‘no’.

“Alex! Oh my God!” Kerstin yelled and ran over, drink in one hand, Howie’s hand in the other. “Damn bitch! I’m going to beat the shit out of you!” She yelled and went to lunge at Macy, only to be held back by another bouncer.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Carter. But ya’ll are going to need to leave,” one of the bouncers looked apologetically at Nick who just nodded. He wrapped his arm protectively around Alex to steady her to make it out of the club. Kerstin and Howie weren’t far behind. Once Brian heard what happened, he appeared outside, too.

“I am so sorry,” Nick sighed and tried to get a better look at Alex’s right eye under the streetlight. His sky blue eyes were full of concern and Alex couldn’t help but smile.

“Who said this was your fault?” Alex smirked sarcastically. Of course, Nick was the topic of interest but she wasn’t going to admit that to him. It was embarrassing for her to admit she was fighting over him.

“Oh, I don’t know,” he rolled his eyes sarcastically. “I guess the fact that you got into a fist fight with my ex girlfriend just kinda gave it away.” He smirked and held her face steady between his hands.

Alex smirked and placed her hands on top of his, which were still cupping her face. “Baby girl, come on. You need to get ice on that.” Kerstin mumbled, still completely distraught that her best friend had gotten punched in the face.

“Um…don’t take this the wrong way,” Nick mumbled as he let his hands fall from Alex’s face. “But I really want to make sure you’re okay in the morning…there are two beds in my hotel…we have a medical staff that travels with us…do you want to come back and stay at my hotel?” He questioned hesitantly. “Your friend’s welcome to come.” He glanced at Kerstin. “There’s a pull-out couch, too.”

“N-No, I’m fine,” Kerstin smiled, totally soaking in the offer her friend just received. “You go.” She winked.

“You sure?” Alex smiled. She really did want to go. Even though her nerves were eating away at the inside of her stomach, she wanted to spend more time with Nick. Kerstin nodded. “Okay.” She sighed. She glanced back up at Nick with a smile on her face. “Lead the way.”
Chapter 16 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Tada! Chapter 16 is here! Reviews are lovely! Keep them coming!!
“I still can’t believe you and Macy got into it,” Nick sighed as he took an alcohol wipe and tried to clean around the wound. Alex’s face was so swollen they couldn’t tell if she was bleeding on the outside or not.

“She just…shoved me…” Alex sighed. Nick had insisted on her changing into his clothes so she would be more comfortable. He was right. She was definitely more comfortable in his baggy black hoodie and his oversized gray drawstring sweats. “I’ve never been in a fight before…”

“Well, for a beginner, you did really well,” Nick smirked and pulled the frozen ice pack out from beside him on the couch and held it up to her face. She winced. “I know it’s freaking cold. Just keep it on your eye so maybe it won’t swell shut tomorrow.” He paused and drew his finger under her chin. “Why were you fighting?”

“Long story,” Alex muttered and looked down, only to feel her face be lifted once more so her one eye could look Nick in the eyes. The look on his face told her to continue. “Well…” she sighed. “I was talking to Kerstin having a conversation and I saw Macy staring at me. So I just walked over and asked if there was a problem. It just felt uncomfortable with her staring at me.” Alex explained. Nick nodded, allowing her to continue. “Well. She wouldn’t let up about how I wasn’t your type and how you weren’t my type. And how you don’t date girls…”

“She’s full of shit, you know,” Nick raised his eyebrows, hoping Alex didn’t believe her.

“Yeah, I guess,” Alex sighed. The entire night she hadn’t even thought about the novel. “Oh shit.” She mumbled without realizing.

“What?” Nick frowned, concerned.

“Is today Thursday?” Alex placed a hand across her forehead, completely getting lost in Nick’s world. Nick glanced down at his watch.

“Actually, it’s now 2:30 in the morning on Friday,” he corrected. “Why?”

“God dammit,” Alex mumbled and stood up quickly. “I have to be at work in six and a half hours! Do you understand how detrimental this is to my career? I mean, I cannot miss work tomorrow! I could be fired, Nick!” She began to pace the floor, holding the frozen ice pack tightly to her eye.

“Okay, okay,” Nick stood up and placed his hands on her forearms. “Just calm down, okay?” He requested. “You really want to go to work tomorrow – rather today – with that black eye?” He frowned and gently pulled away the frozen pack to get a better look.

“I don’t really have a choice. My boss allows me to work from home, but we specifically set up a meeting tomorrow morning,” she sighed, trying not to give anything away. She plopped down on the edge of the couch and looked down at the ground. “How could I have been so stupid? I let everything slip from my mind…”

“I’m sorry,” Nick apologized. “I guess that’s kinda my fault considering I asked you to go out tonight and got you into this mess.”

“Nick,” Alex sighed and smiled. “It is not your fault. I promise. But I really do need to get some sleep so I can wake up in a few hours. Hopefully my meeting won’t run too long. I’ll have to stop by my apartment…” she cursed herself when she realized she wasn’t in Syracuse. “Oh…fuck.”

“What now?” Nick frowned. He tried to hold in his laughter. It seemed like all of this was beginning to hit Alex at the same time. It almost seemed like getting hit in the face was bringing back her memory.

“We’re in fucking New York City. I have to be in Syracuse tomorrow to get my laptop and all my work. Then I have to drive all the way back here to present my project,” Alex mumbled with tears in her eyes. “And I have to present it with this huge ass lump on the side of my face. I’m a lost cause. I’m going to lose my job.”

Nick bit his bottom lip and then glanced down at his watch. 2:30 AM. “If we leave now, we can make it back to your apartment for you to get your work stuff, clothes, make-up and whatever else you might need. Then you can get dressed in the car and I can bring you back to the city.” He explained quickly, standing up to gather his things.

“Wait…Nick…you’d do that for me?” Alex stood up and approached him slowly.

Nick didn’t take much time to think about it. Instead, he let a smile grace his lips. He brought his hand up to the side of her cheek and kissed her softly. “Of course. I mean, it’s the least I could do. You fought for me. I might as well do something great for you.” He winked. Alex knew he wasn’t trying to “repay” her in anyway.

She smiled and thankfully grabbed her purse and followed Nick out the door of the hotel. “Okay,” he whispered. “Now we have to be really careful. Paparazzi will be everywhere. And if anyone from management or the band catches me, we’re screwed.” He gently grabbed Alex’s hand and led her to the elevator and out the door. There was a black SUV parked in a special spot on the side of the hotel.

“I can’t believe I didn’t realize we were in the city and I had to have all of my work things for tomorrow…” Alex sighed and rested her head against the window. “Feel free to stop for coffee…or if you want me to drive, I can definitely take turns.”

“No thanks,” Nick smiled. “You driving with one eye really doesn’t sound too safe right now…and I’d really like to keep my life, thanks.” He chuckled as he started the drive. “I do need you to kinda stay awake so I know where I’m going…” he smiled at her as he watched her eyelids slowly begin to close.

She smirked and yawned to try and wake herself up a bit. “Understandable. I can’t believe I was so stupid tonight. I mean, getting into the fight is one thing, but then forgetting about work? That is so not like me,” she sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.

Nick reached over and took her hand in his. He played with her fingers with a smile on his lips. “Yeah, but just think about it this way. Now we can spend some time together,” he shrugged playfully. “And the fight? I think it’s kinda hot, to be honest with you.”

Alex laughed and threw her head back against the seat. “I can’t believe you just said that. You sound like Paris Hilton.” She laughed but her laughter fell short when she realized he wasn’t laughing and had dropped her hand. “What? What did I say?”

Nick look at her as if she were stupid. “Are you kidding me?” He frowned and shook his head. When he realized Alex really had no idea what he was talking about, he sighed and decided to calm down. “Sorry. It’s just…you really don’t know much about me if you’ve never heard of Paris and I.”

“Y-You?” Alex nearly choked. “You and Paris were…together?” She sounded disgusted. In a way, it was a total turn-off. She hated Paris Hilton and everything she was. She made women in society look bad. “I didn’t know,” was all she managed to mumble.

The car got incredibly quiet as they drove on. The novel began to only become a worse idea as time went on. She wasn’t focused anymore. She wasn’t hanging around Nick Carter because he was her job anymore. It was different. Her interest had changed. That was when the idea sparked.
Chapter 17 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
So this one's a little shorter than the others by a few 100 words. But the next one will be longer. I just cut it short because it worked well in the story. Keep the reviews coming!!
“So, what exactly is this novel about?” Nick frowned as Alex situated herself back in the SUV after running inside to gather her laptop, work clothes and lots of make-up.

A smile graced her lips as she realized how Nick would be surprised to know it was about him. “Oh, typical relationship. Girl meets boy, falls for him…” she trailed off and ended with a shrug. “Very…typical.” She repeated.

“That’s cool. Are you getting it published?” He questioned. Alex was beginning to get a little worried – even though she knew Nick could never possibly imagine that the novel was written about him. He was asking a lot of questions. She figured it was just because he was for one, curious, and secondly, it was almost 5:30 in the morning. He was just trying to stay awake.

“Hopefully,” Alex smiled brightly. “I mean, so far the publisher loves the idea. That’s why I have a meeting today.” She explained. “I just hope he still loves it…” she bit her bottom lip. She wanted to…change the idea, so to speak.

“What do you mean, still? I mean, if he loved it to begin with, he’ll love it no matter what,” Nick smiled. Alex wished it was that easy.

“I kinda changed the story line a little. Made it more…realistic. It isn’t as hard to believe anymore and I like that factor. Originally, it was about a false love,” she said, trying to explain better. “The woman fell in love with a man for a job. She wanted to prove a point.” She glanced over and saw Nick was intently listening. She smiled. Alex loved the fact that he really was interested. “But, during the entire experience, she fell in love.”

She got really quiet and simply shrugged. Love? Was it love or was it something else? “That sounds really cool…and really romantic,” Nick smirked. “Don’t tell the boys I said that…” he smiled again and picked up Alex’s hand to play with her fingers as he cruised the highway. “What makes you different, Alex?” Nick questioned as he glanced out the window at the open black sky.

“What do you mean?” Alex’s brow creased. Now it was her turn to watch him intently. She watched as his eyes went back and forth between her and the road.

“I don’t know…” he whispered. “There’s something different about you. I feel like I’ve known you forever, but I know it’s only been a few days. And that just seems…weird,” he explained. “It’s…different.”

Alex laughed and shook her head. “You aren’t very good at explaining your feelings, Nick.” She smiled at him. He smirked and a crease formed over his brow.

“Explain your feelings, Alex. You’re a writer. That must come easy to you,” Nick was hoping he hadn’t offended her; he was just in awe of Alex’s ability to create characters and romantic scenes between people. He wondered how she felt in her current situation.

“I’m good at explaining fake relationships,” she smiled at the irony. Nick and she were supposed to be in a fake relationship. Were they? Or was it something real? She sighed and decided to continue. “I really like you, Nick. You’re different, too. I mean, it’s not like I haven’t had many relationships to begin with…” she trailed off and watched a few raindrops begin to fall on the windshield.

“You? A beautiful girl like you?” Nick sounded shocked and slightly uneasy. Alex frowned and looked at him.

“Is that a problem?” She tried to smile, but somehow she felt uncomfortable and vulnerable like the old Alex. Nick hadn’t meant to say anything that would bring her down, but his comment threw her back and brought her security walls back up and around her.

“No!” Nick shook his head and cocked an eyebrow. “I’m just…surprised.” He shrugged. “That’s all.” He smiled over at her but noticed her expression had drastically changed. “I mean, Alex…you’re beautiful, you’re young, and you have a job. I just thought…”

“I’m not experienced,” she shrugged briskly. She sighed and closed her eyes for a second, realizing she had been short with him. “I’m sorry, Nick. It’s just…I feel kinda vulnerable when people compliment me like that. And I get that you’re experienced and you’re rich and girls typically go after you for the status. But I’m not like that. I’m different. And that’s what scares me.” She tried to put into words.

“Why does it scare you?” Nick frowned curiously.

“Because. You’re this amazingly talented singer who could have any girl in the world and you spend time with me. I’m not like you, Nick. You’re perfect in the media world. I’m perfect in my house, cooped up where no one interacts with me,” Alex was being more open with him than she ever had. It shocked her more than it did Nick.

“That doesn’t seem like you,” Nick smirked and gently placed his hand over hers comfortingly. “And besides, even if that is you, I like you. And I’d love to get to know you better.” He brought her hand to his lips softly. “I’m not perfect. The media loves to point me out and make fun of me. I might be perfect to them, but only because I’m a screw up.” He explained and shook his head.

Alex smiled and rested her head on the headrest of the seat. “Thanks.” She whispered softly.

“For what?” Nick smirked. His eyes, his smile. They consumed her heart.

“For making me feel beautiful.”
Chapter 18 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews!! Please & thank you!
“Nick, I cannot thank you enough,” Alex leaned over her seat and kissed Nick gratefully on the cheek. “You are a lifesaver.” She smiled. They had made it with about ten minutes to spare. Nick was even helpful while Alex tried to cover up the large bruise covering her face.

“No problem,” Nick yawned. Not only was he exhausted from being up for almost twenty-four hours, but from driving back and forth all day long. “How long do you think your meeting will last?”

“Probably thirty minutes to an hour,” Alex glanced at her watch. She realized Nick may be hinting at asking her to do something later in the day, so she quickly came back with a smile. “You should head back to the hotel and get some rest. You did a lot of driving and must be exhausted.”

Nick shrugged and winked. “Good luck with your meeting.” Alex pulled her things from the car and shook her head. She had a feeling he might wait for her. She was looking forward to it.

As Nick drove off, Alex headed into the main building. She sighed heavily and tried to run through what she had planned to say in her head before she was called into the meeting room. As her name was called out from the burly man standing in the large oak doorway, she smoothed out the length of her business skirt and plastered a smile on her face.

“Miss McIntosh, nice to see you,” Mr. Reynolds greeted. Alex was shocked. Not only was Mr. Reynolds at this meeting, but three other publishers as well as a few professors from Syracuse University. “I’d like to introduce you to a panel of critics and editors. I assumed you’d be ready to make a presentation?” He asked hopefully.

“Of course,” Alex smiled. She wondered if Mr. Reynolds would hate her after today. She was, after all, changing everything they had agreed on and talked about. “Thank you all for being here this morning.” She greeted the panel professionally as she extracted her laptop from her business bag. “Originally I had introduced an idea to Mr. Reynolds…” she began to explain the beginning. “Well, in the end, I found that true feelings really did establish between the contact and I.”

“Nick Carter?” One of the men questioned. Alex sucked in a deep breath and nodded her head.

“Miss McIntosh?” Mr. Reynolds asked. Alex could read the anger all over his face. He was pissed. “May I see you out in the hall for a moment?” He asked. Alex nodded. Here it was. This was the end. As the two stepped into the hallway and Mr. Reynolds excused them, he closed the door and looked at her as if he didn’t know what to say. “I give you a chance and this is how you repay me?”

“I promise you, Mr. Reynolds, I did not mean any harm by changing the idea,” she shook her head quickly. “It just…it popped into my head and I thought I would – …”

“You thought nothing, Miss McIntosh,” Mr. Reynolds bitterly ended her sentence. Alex could feel the salty tears forming in her big brown eyes. She swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded. “If you are smart you will go back in there and proceed with what we originally discussed. Why in the world would you want to throw away this opportunity?”

“I wouldn’t,” she shook her head feverishly and opened the door to the conference room.

“Don’t let me down,” he whispered as she entered the room and explained that after much consideration, she would be returning with the original idea. She figured she could still see Nick because she wanted to, and just pretend with the novel. Mr. Reynolds would never know she still had real feelings for Nick and everyone would be happy.

Alex sighed and opened her cell phone when she came out of the big publishing building with full intention of calling Kerstin. “So, how’d it go?” She heard a deep voice behind her.

“Nick! God, you scared me,” she sighed and smiled as he wrapped his arms around her lovingly. “I thought you were going back to the hotel to rest.”

Nick shrugged. “I wasn’t able to think. I wanted to make sure I didn’t have to beat this guy’s ass for dropping your book idea.” He winked. The butterflies fluttered in Alex’s stomach and her cheeks flushed. “I don’t have to beat any guy’s ass, do I?” He raised his eyebrows. Alex laughed and shook her head ‘no’. Why was he so perfect?

“He didn’t really accept the new idea…” Alex sighed. “But it’s okay. I mean, it’s understandable. We had a common agreement that I would write my original concept. So I’ll just stick with it.” She shrugged.

“Really?” Nick frowned as they began to walk hand-in-hand, to Alex’s pleasant surprise. “I, honestly, liked the second idea better than the first. I mean, don’t get me wrong, they’re both great. I just thought the new one was…better.” He smiled. Alex smiled at how ironic it was. Of course he would like the second idea better.

“Yeah, I liked the second one better, too,” she smiled. “But oh well.” She shrugged.

“That amazes me. You can just write…whatever,” Nick shrugged. Alex tried to compare it to something Nick did in his life so he wouldn’t think she was so amazing. She didn’t feel so amazing.

“It’s a lot like you, Nick. How many songs have you had to sing or perform in all your years?” Alex asked. Nick thought about it for a second.

“More than I could ever count,” he chuckled.

“Have you liked every song you’ve performed?” Alex questioned. Again, Nick thought for a minute and then shook his head ‘no’. “See? You’re amazing. You can perform things you don’t necessarily like. You can perform…whatever.” She smirked as she directly quoted him.

He smiled and glanced down at the pavement as they continued to walk down the crazy streets of New York City. “Thank you.” He muttered softly.

“For what?” Alex smirked. Nick brought the top of her hand to his lips like he had often done before and gently let his lips brush over it. She smirked and blushed.

“For making me feel normal,” he said simply. Alex laughed and frowned.

“I don’t understand,” she mumbled. He had thanked her like she had thanked him earlier that morning, only he was thanking her for making him feel…normal? She didn’t understand.

Nick stopped walking and turned towards Alex, placing his hands affectionately on her waist. “I don’t mean to sound like a cocky jerk…” he started. “But I’m Nick Carter. I’m in one of the biggest boy bands of all time. I’ve never been allowed to feel like a normal guy with girls. Either they’re too infatuated with being perfect or just being seen as perfect and I’m always behind it. All of my relationships have been made in the eyes of the public. You don’t care about that stuff, Allie,” he explained. Alex smiled at him calling her by her nickname. “You’re different. You let me be…me. And for that, I thank you.”
Chapter 19 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reviewing!!

ALSO. Asti's is a real Italian restaurant in Syracuse. I learned about it thanks to Theresa, tree2583. Thank you so much for all your help!!
Almost three weeks had since passed for her and Nick. They were practically a couple. He hadn’t officially asked her to be his girlfriend. Between his busy days with the band and working on the new album and her days working on the novel, they hadn’t had much time to discuss it. They, however, had plenty of time to be caught hand-in-hand walking in Times Square or eating ice cream for magazines and websites to snap pictures of. It didn’t bother Nick, but Alex was a little apprehensive.

“Don’t worry about it,” Nick had whispered in her ear as flashes went off all around her. “You’re beautiful and have nothing to be nervous about.” He always had a way of making her feel completely perfect.

She smiled to herself as she glanced at her reflection in the mirror. She had planned a night out at a local family restaurant in Syracuse. It was an old Italian restaurant called Asti’s. It had opened in 2001 as a small restaurant and grew massively in 2005 due to popularity. It was one of her favorites and she had begged Nick to come in for the weekend so they could go.

Her black dress fit loosely enough where it wasn’t too revealing, but it hugged every curve nicely. Her hair was in loose curves all around her shoulders and her make-up was flawless, thanks to the help of Kerstin. “You look gorgeous, honey.” Kerstin smiled as she entered Alex’s bedroom.

“I’m going to tell him tonight just how much he means to me…” Alex smiled and bit her bottom lip anxiously. “I hope he doesn’t freak or think I’m stupid…”

“Of course he wouldn’t,” Kerstin smiled. “I’ve watched the way he looks at you, Allie. He is in love with you.”

Alex rolled her eyes and fixed her mascara a little. “We aren’t even official yet…” she sighed. “It’s been three weeks. I think it’s about time we move a little quicker…” she watched Kerstin’s perplexed expression. “Yeah, I don’t really know what I mean by that, either.” She sighed, answering her friend’s question before it was even asked.

“Are you saying…?” Kerstin trailed off. Alex sighed and shrugged. “Sweetheart, please don’t do anything you’ll regret in the future.” Alex turned towards her with a frown.

“Why do you think I would regret that? Kerstin, he is so different than any guy I’ve ever been with before,” Alex sighed and a smile graced her lips as she realized exactly what Nick meant to her.

“No offense, Al, but you haven’t been with many guys,” Kerstin said honestly. Alex almost felt offended until she realized just how right Kerstin was. “Sweetie, you can’t just decide spontaneously to jump into anything serious.” Kerstin said. Alex knew she meant sex. To be honest, she wanted Nick to be her first. She wanted it to be special and with Nick everything always felt special.

“I don’t know what I’m jumping into just yet,” Alex sighed as she grabbed her clutch from the nightstand. She heard Nick knocking at the door. “But whatever I jump into isn’t really up to you. I’ll see you in the morning.” She mumbled and went to the front door.

She swung it open and smiled to see Nick in a black button down short sleeved shirt and khaki pants. “Hi, sexy,” he winked with a smile and leaned in to kiss her tenderly. “You look beautiful.”

“Why thank you,” she smiled and closed the door behind her. “You don’t look too shabby yourself.” She winked. She tucked her arm delicately in his as they walked out of the apartment complex and to the street below.

“So, where to?” He asked her as they approached the taxi cab.

“411 North Salina Street,” Alex smiled to the taxi cab driver who nodded. “It’s this amazing Italian restaurant. It opened about six years ago and I love it.” She smiled.

“If you love it, I’m sure I’ll love it too,” he smiled and kissed her cheek. “I’ve missed you.” It had only been two days since the two had seen each other, and they had talked on the phone daily.

“I’ve missed you too,” Alex smiled and leaned into him. He was so perfect. She couldn’t stop telling herself that. “How has the album been?”

Nick sighed and scrunched up his nose. Uh oh. Wrong question. “Well. Not well, I guess,” he sighed. “New York has never had the best producing equipment for us and our managers think we should head back to Florida as soon as possible to get started in recording some more.”

Alex nodded and looked down at her lap. She knew he couldn’t be there forever. Three weeks had been a hell of a long time, she thought. She was under the impression he would be gone after a few days. He had tried to make it work in the studios offered in New York and obviously, it wasn’t working. “Understandable.” She nodded.

“But I wanted to talk to you about that…” Nick intertwined his fingers with hers. “I think you should come with me.” He smiled. Alex’s eyes nearly popped out of her head.

“C-Come with you?” She smiled. “Really?”

“Absolutely!” Nick smirked. “I have a huge house in Florida…guest bedrooms and all.” He added awkwardly. They hadn’t spent the night together yet and he didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable. “I mean, if it works with your novel and everything. I know you’re in the office once every few weeks.” He changed the subject from possibly living together to work. He realized it sounded like he was moving extremely fast. “I don’t want to weird you out or anything…” he quickly jumped back into his previous statement to try and correct himself. “I don’t want you to think I’m moving insanely fast. I just thought you could come spend a few weeks and then head back to New York. We could try to visit each other…frequently.” He shrugged.

Alex giggled and nodded. “I think it sounds like a great idea, Nick,” she smiled and kissed his cheek so he knew she wasn’t freaking out about his idea. “Let’s talk about it over dinner.” She smiled as they exited the taxi cab.

“Sounds like a plan,” he winked and held her hand tightly, thanking himself silently for not ruining the moment.

As they entered the restaurant, they were horded by many reporters and paparazzi. “Alex! Nick! Can we have a smile?” One of the photographers asked. Nick nodded and stopped for a second. Even though Alex’s stomach was telling her otherwise, she complied and smiled for a few pictures.

“Nick, how’s the album?” A photographer yelled out as he snapped a few photos and began to take notes on what Nick’s response was.

“It’s great,” Nick smiled politely. “We miss Kevin, but overall it’s going well.” He nodded.

“Alex, how’s your novel?” The same photographer smiled at her.

“It’s great,” she answered like Nick with a smile. “It’s really coming along well.”

“Nick, how do you feel about being a part of the novel?” The photographer asked. As soon as the words left his mouth, Alex froze. How the hell did he know anything? She hadn’t mentioned the novel’s main purpose to anyone except Kerstin.

Nick frowned and shook his head, glancing down at Alex with a smile. “I-I don’t understand.” He laughed nervously. “What do you mean?”

The photographer paused and frowned at Alex. “He doesn’t know?” He frowned.

Alex felt as if her world was crashing. Her head began to spin. “U-Uh…” she didn’t really know what to say. Nick’s smile fell as he looked back and forth between the photographer and the woman he thought he was in love with.

“Nick, man,” the photographer licked his lips, the smile gone. Alex knew secretly he was just thrilled to spoil the moment. “Alex is writing a novel about how she would be able to fall in love with a celebrity and make him feel the pain…” Alex couldn’t listen anymore as the man continued. Her eyes filled with tears and her hand flew to her forehead. She felt as though she was going to pass out. The look on Nick’s face nearly killed her.
Chapter 20 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Things get a little...hard. But keep reading!! Reviews = amazing!
“Is that true?” Nick muttered looking down at her. He took hold of her arm and pulled her inside away from the photographers. Now they had a hot story and had started to flutter towards the building. Alex hadn’t even heard everything the photographer had said to Nick. Her head was spinning. She was only catching a few words here and there. “Alex…” Nick trailed off and shook his head. As soon as he saw the tears flooding her eyes he knew he had been played.

“Nick, it’s not what he made it out to seem, I swear to you,” Alex shook her head, tears pouring out freely.

Nick paused. He wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. Rumors started in the media all the time. Maybe it wasn’t what he thought. “Then what exactly is it?” He frowned.

Alex sucked in a deep breath and looked around at the faces already staring at them. “Can we go somewhere else to talk about this, please?” She practically begged. He nodded with a sigh and draped his arm around her lower back to lead her outside to a taxi cab. Dinner would have to wait. The photographers didn’t waste any time in attacking the couple for answers. As they loaded into the taxi, Alex rattled off the address to one of her favorite thinking spots.

“Burnet Park, please?” She asked hastily. The driver nodded. She looked over at Nick. “It’s only about ten minutes away…it’s where I go to think.” She sighed. Nick nodded, not making much conversation. He wasn’t willing to say anything until he knew for sure what was going on.

The driver pulled over and the two got out, making their way to a swing set close by. “What’s going on, Allie?” Nick whispered. He didn’t want to get hurt, but if she said something he was afraid of, there was a good possibility his heart was going to hurt.

“Nick, the night that I met you, my intentions were…different,” she began to explain. She might as well start at the beginning. “I got an idea for a novel. I was tired of hearing how heartless men were picking up women and using them, so I figured I would turn the tables. Kerstin and I went out clubbing that night so I could meet a man that was insensitive and a complete jerk.”

“And you met me,” Nick whispered and glanced down at the mulch under his expensive dress shoes. Alex sniffled back tears and nodded slowly.

“I knew automatically that you weren’t the kind of guy I wanted to use for this novel,” she closed her eyes and dried the tears falling from them. “My publisher wanted me to lead on this guy, in this case you, and journal it.”

“Basically you wanted to make a fool out of me,” Nick scoffed at her and stood up from the swing. Alex jumped up after him and caught his arm.

“Please,” she begged, sobbing hysterically now. Nick hated seeing her like this. His heart was breaking from what she was explaining, but his heart also went out to her. “Please…just hear me out.” Nick sighed and sat down on a bench across from the swing Alex sat back down on. “The novel was to be a feminist movement, in my book. I wanted women to have a chance to get back at men. Nick, I’m not beautiful or glamorous.” Alex shook her head and tried to wipe away a few tears. “I’m a loner. I never used to wear make-up or care about my clothes. Until I met you.”

“All this time…I thought you were someone else…” Nick mumbled and ran his fingers through his hair. “This can’t be happening.” He stood up and paced the ground in front of him. “All this time…” he repeated. “I thought you were different, Alex. I really did. God dammit. Is that even your real name? Alex?”

“Yes, God, yes,” Alex nodded as more sobs fell over her. “Nick, I am different. I swear to you I am. You brought out the real me. That’s why I confronted my publisher about changing the novel. I wanted to change everything because in the process of everything my feelings for you changed.”

“Why should I believe you?” Nick frowned and shook his head. He walked towards Alex as she stood up from the swing. When he was directly in her face she could see the tears forming in his own eyes. “I don’t fall in love, Alex. I don’t. I never have. But with you, everything changed. I thought this was more real than any relationship I’ve ever had. And trust me, I’ve had my fair share,” he muttered rudely. “You just proved to be another illusion in this game of love.”

“It’s not a game, Nick!” Alex yelled after him as he began to walk away.

“Then what the fuck is it, Alex?!” He yelled back and spun towards her. For a second, she was afraid he was going to lash out at her. “Please, tell me. What exactly was this to you? A job?” He asked her sarcastically. When he saw her face look down as if she was afraid to admit it, he kicked at the mulch chips below him and shook his head again. “You have got to be kidding me. That’s all I am to you…all I am is a job. Damn you, Alex.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She felt as though she was going to be sick. “Nick, please.” She cried. “Please, you have to believe me…”

“Believe what, Alex? That you would choose your damn novel over me?” Nick questioned. “Because that’s pretty hard to believe. You went into that meeting this morning and came out completely satisfied with their response.”

“I thought I could play the company, Nick. I swear to you I never once considered playing with you. At the beginning, yes. I’m trying to be honest with you by admitting that,” Alex sighed. She was beginning to calm down, hoping he would just believe her. She just wanted him to trust her.

“You’re trying to be honest?” Nick scowled. “Think about what you just said, Alex. For three weeks you’ve been a liar and now all of a sudden you’re trying to be honest?”

“Yes,” Alex jumped back. “Because my feelings for you have grown so much that I don’t even understand anymore. You mean more to me than that company and that novel. I swear.”

“Then why did you choose the company?” Nick muttered and began to back away to the street.

“I didn’t choose the fucking company!” Alex screamed as her tears resurfaced. “I choose you, Nick. I promise you that I choose you.”

“I don’t believe you,” he shook his head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t believe you.” And with that, he got into the taxi. “Goodbye, Alex.”
Chapter 21 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
I'm in a writing mood. So, review and maybe I'll be nice & post more ;]
Alex felt lost. She knew exactly where she was – she had lived in Syracuse for years. It was the fact that she didn’t know who she was. Everything was different without him. Nothing was the same. She cried to herself as she walked back to her apartment, her high heels in one hand and her clutch in the other.

“Back so soon?” She heard Kerstin snicker as she walked into the foyer. Her smile immediately disappeared as she saw her friend’s face. “God, Alex. What the hell happened?”

“H-He found out…” Alex choked back a sob. “We had just g-gotten to the restaurant and some paparazzi stopped us and asked Nick how he felt about me writing about him.” Just saying it made it that much more real. She cried harder.

“They’re so scandalous, it’s not fair,” Kerstin mumbled as she wrapped her arms protectively around her best friend. “How did they find out, anyway?” She frowned.

Alex just shrugged her shoulders and slumped off to her own room. As she entered the small bedroom, she saw her phone flashing. It meant she had a message waiting. She picked up the phone and hit play. “Miss McIntosh, it’s Mr. Reynolds. Just thought I’d let you know that the panel loved your idea today – the original one – and so to make it official,” he cleared his voice. “I ran some posters and advertisements promoting the novel itself and they’re being placed around New York and LA as we speak. There’s one in your e-mail box for you to see.” With that, he hung up. Alex’s heart began beating rapidly once more in her chest.

She couldn’t get to her e-mail fast enough. As soon as she opened the message, she knew exactly what the photographer meant and her heart sank. The poster was a picture of Nick Carter himself holding a bouquet of flowers, probably a picture Mr. Reynolds had purchased for copyright from a photographer. Then there was a nerdy girl in glasses pushing the glasses down her nose. The caption read, “Revenge is the Worst”.

“Superstar Nick Carter gets what he has coming – a false love from a pretend Miss America,” Alex read outloud as tears filled her eyes. She knew Nick would be seeing these posters if they were put up all around New York City. There was a video link below that Alex clicked on next. It was a video of Mr. Reynolds at a press conference, explaining in detail the parts of the novel. “No wonder the whole world knows.” She sighed.

Suddenly, she was hit with an idea. She picked up the phone and glanced through her networking contacts. She knew plently of publishers, just none as big as Mr. Reynolds. As she dialed a few different numbers and proposed her idea, she found she was turned away by many but accepted by a few. After making a few appointments, she logged onto her lap top and began to type.

Nick

He couldn’t believe what had just happened. He had practically asked Alex to live with him before he found out what was really going on. He kicked at a rock in the middle of New York City. It was nearly two in the morning now. After his cab ride, he decided to just get some air.

As he walked past an entertainment store, he had to do a double take as he realized what was in the window of the store. It was a poster of him and some other girl…it was Alex’s story. He was shocked to realize tears were filling his blue eyes. They couldn’t do this! They couldn’t make a joke out of him!

All of a sudden, his cell began to vibrate against his leg in the pocket of his jeans. He fished it out, expecting to hang up on the caller, assuming it would be Alex. Instead, it was Brian. “Hey Bri,” Nick sighed and tried to push the tears away.

“Nick, what the hell is up with all the posters and the calls from photographers and papparazzi?” Brian asked, slightly pissed off that he was getting bothered at two o’clock in the morning by reporters looking to talk to Nick.

“It’s a long story,” Nick rolled his eyes. “Can’t we talk about it in the morning?”

“Sure,” Brian sighed. “But I should send Marcus to wherever you are. There are at least thirty reporters and papparrazi in the lobby of the hotel.

Nick agreed and rattled off the intersection he happened to be standing in. As he waited for the body guard, he looked around New York City. It was beautiful. All he could think about looking around was Alex’s smile and the way she made him feel. But she wasn’t real. She never would be.

The Next Morning with Alex

Alex pulled her shoulder length wavy brown hair behind her in a high pony-tail and placed her black rimmed square glasses on her nose. She strutted out in professional-looking attire, simply because she was pitching an idea. “What’s with the wardrobe change?” Kerstin smiled as she sipped her coffee.

Alex shrugged and grabbed a travel mug to get her own coffee. “I’m tired of being someone else.” She began to explain. “I’m going to make a lot of changes, Kerst. Not even changes, really…just going back to the way things used to be.”

“You can still go out and have a good time, you know?” Kerstin sighed. She wanted Alex to be herself, but she didn’t want her to become the hermit she had been for so long.

“I know,” Alex nodded. “I’m just going to go out and have a good time as me. As Alex. Because I feel lost without her.”
Chapter 22 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
OKAY. So, here's a bridge I need to cross. At this point, the story is almost over. I haven't finished it yet, but I'd say after this chapter? Only 1 chapter and an epilogue is left. I could either end the story now and possibly start a sequal OR I could continue to write and come up with another "climax". It's hard to explain -- but I would continue and just build the story, instead of ending it and starting a sequal. Let me know which way you think would work better [if you can even understand that...lol, it's kinda confusing]. REVIEWS!!
“Nick!” Reporters yelled out from all directions. “What do you have to say about the novel? Is this a promotional tactic or was it unknown to you?”

Nick swallowed the lump in his throat. He had spoken with his publicists, his managers and the boys, and they had all decided it would be best just to make it seem like it was all a set up. “It’s a promotional tactic,” Nick began. “Miss McIntosh and I met and discussed the novel weeks ago.” He explained. As he told the story, photographers snapped pictures and threw questions out left and right.

“I’m sorry, that’s all for now,” the publicists stepped in. “Thank you for your questions.” Nick disappeared behind a tour bus and slipped away into the chaos of New York City.

With Alex

“Miss McIntosh,” the publisher furrowed his brow and glanced over the work Alex had handed him. “Your idea is quite different. And Reynolds’ Publishing already picked up a similar piece…” he trailed on.

“Mr. Benson, I can promise you my tie with Reynolds’ Publishing has been cut off entirely,” Alex said with a straight face. “I want to change the idea because it means a lot to me and I honestly believe readers will be more interested in reading about love instead of a false drama that doesn’t cover real experiences today. This novel will be real…” Alex tried to explain. “Plus, Reynolds’ Publishing has already started promoting the original.”

“Was there a contract with Reynolds’ Publishing?” He asked curiously.

“No, sir,” Alex shook her head. That was one smart thing she had done in the past few weeks. She hadn’t committed to anything because she hadn’t produced any hard copies of the novel yet. She wouldn’t sign until she was ready to pass on her work.

“Well, then, Miss McIntosh,” Mr. Benson smiled. “Lyon’s Publishing would be glad to publish this novel. We’d like to have it ready within the next few weeks, if that’s alright.”

“Of course,” Alex smiled. She wanted to get this out as quickly as possible to prove to Nick what she really felt. “Thank you so much for your time and for this opportunity,” she smiled and exited the conference room.

Next on her list was to go home and type. She had to type her true feelings and type as fast as she could. Nick had to know the truth. He had to understand where she was coming from. If not, her heart was going to break. He meant something so much more to her.

A few weeks later

Alex bit into an apple as she heard fireworks going off outside. “Alex,” Kerstin whined as she appeared in the doorway wearing a navy blue summer dress. “Please come out with us.” She sighed. Over the weeks, Kerstin and Howie had kept in touch, and they had a date tonight.

“I can’t,” she sighed. “I have to make sure the publishers call back. I want to be positive the book comes out tomorrow.” By now she figured Nick was back in Florida. She didn’t ask Howie – she didn’t want to pull Kerstin and Howie into the middle of this. Nick had said he wanted to be back in Florida right before their fight. She didn’t think anything held him back now.

“You and your damn novel,” Kerstin muttered and shook her head. “You really hurt Nick, you know. And I’m not going to stand here and lecture you on it because I’m your best friend and I will always defend you.” Kerstin threw in her opinion. “But kiddo? I’ve seen him since the fight and he’s torn up about it. You guys really had something.”

“I’m trying to get it back,” Alex sighed and sat intently watching the phone on the nightstand.

“What?” Kerstin frowned. Alex still hadn’t informed Kerstin of her plan to get Nick back. Her plan to prove to him that her feelings were real.

“Nothing,” Alex shook her head and took another big bite out of her apple. “You’ll see.”
Chapter 23 by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, sorry for the slight delay! Midterms are Monday [ew] so I'll be using most of my time this weekend to study. Hopefully the next chapter/possibly Epilogue will be out Monday/Tuesdayish. REVIEWS!!
A smile formed over Alex’s lips when she heard the great news. Her book had hit bookstores the next morning. She picked up the phone and dialed the familiar number. “Hello?” She heard his voice.

“Brian? It’s Alex,” she sighed. She knew those boys hated her. “Now before you hang up, please hear me out.”

“What could you possibly want to say to me?” He sounded so bitter. Alex sighed and closed her eyes, praying this would work.

“Listen to me,” she muttered. “My book hit the stores this morning. I need you to go out and pick up a copy and get it to Nick. I need him to read it.” She gnawed on her lip nervously. “Please?”

“And why would I want to do that?” Brian spat angrily. Tears filled Alex’s eyes. She had never heard him like this before. “You made a complete fool out of him, Alex! You broke every part of his trust. And because you did that, you lost mine.” He muttered. She thought he was going to hang up.

“Brian, please!” She cried. “You have to believe me. I know what I did was wrong. I know.” She explained. “But please trust me. I-I…he means a lot to me.” She explained and hung up the phone. She didn’t think this was going to work out at all. She had an idea it was all going to end right then and there. She tried. What more could she do?

With Nick

“Just read it,” Brian muttered and threw the book down on the hotel bed where his best friend was packing for Florida.

“Why the hell did you go out and buy this piece of shit?” Nick spat and threw the book at the floor. Brian sighed. He knew this would happen. Honestly, he didn’t even know why he had gone out and followed Alex’s instruction. But when he opened the front page and read it himself, it all made sense.

“Just trust me, okay?” Brian sighed. “I know what you’re feeling and how upset you are with her, okay? I get that. But just hear me out. I know you love her.”

“Never,” Nick shook his head and looked away so his friend wouldn’t see the tears in his eyes. “She was just another useless girl that tried to take my fame…my money.”

“I think you’re wrong,” Brian muttered and ran his fingers through his hair.

“Well, what do you know?” Nick shot back. The last few weeks, his bandmates had dealt with his crap. Nick hadn’t been in the best mood ever since he and Alex had their falling out. “Sorry…” he muttered and rubbed his temples. “It just kinda came out.”

“Listen,” Brian patted his friend on the back. “I know you’re pissed at her, okay? But just hear me out…you’re going to want to read this book. At least the first few pages…”

With that, Brian stood up and left. Nick sighed and grabbed the book off the floor. You’re a Part of me Now. A new title, however the cover was the same as the posters he had been dealing with for the past few weeks. He opened the front cover to begin.

About the Author

Who am I? I really can’t tell you because I’m not sure myself. A few months ago, I didn’t think I was anyone. I thought I was a useless body walking the streets of New York amongst thousands of other bodies. But then I met this person that made me feel like the entire world revolved around me. I allowed that feeling to take control and it swallowed me into this world of perfection. All my life I’ve been Alex McIntosh, but lately? I’ve been someone else. Someone that’s not real. I’ve used this opportunity to find myself, so to say. And I have. Writing this novel has brought out the Alex McIntosh that I’ve grown to love over the past years. I’m Alex. This is my story.

Nick sighed and flipped the page. Was she being real? Was she being honest in her words? Nick wasn’t sure whether or not to believe her.

Introduction

Many of you are probably wondering why I’ve decided to change the title of my story. I’m going to be honest with you. Originally, the story was supposed to mock the way some men treat women in today’s society. All along I thought it was a great idea. That was until I met my target. I knew from the beginning he was different, but I was hoping I could pull off my job and love life at the same time. I didn’t realize they would rudely connect and both disown me as if I didn’t exist. My publisher dropped my story because I refused to write it the way they wanted. My “boyfriend” left me because he found out about the idea.

I should have told him about it in the first place. I should have been upfront and honest. But I wasn’t. I know I hurt him and I’m sorry for it. It was, in the beginning, my intention. But my intentions changed dramatically along the way. People ask me – what’s worse? Losing your job or your boyfriend? In this case…it was a shock to me. The boyfriend. Because he was so much more than that. He wasn’t the Nick Carter you see on TV and hear on the radio. He was the Nick Carter that took time to know me because he was interested. He wasn’t the “typical guy” girls complain about so frequently these days. He was different.

So I decided to change the story idea. Instead of writing about feelings and things that aren’t true, I decided to write my story. Every girl should know that there is someone for them out there. And even though Nick and I are no longer together, he will always have this weird, special place in my heart. I had never felt like he made me feel before and that means something…real. I thank him for being patient with me and understanding me. Because I’ve never been able to understand myself.

So even though my story isn’t a happily ever after fairytale, I wouldn’t trade it in for anything else. Nick taught me something. He taught me to be myself and to love as if there’s no tomorrow.

I will love him till the end of forever, because he’s a part of me now.
Epilogue by sarahmarie0727
Author's Notes:
OKAY. So I'm ending it :[ Sorry kids. To be honest, I've come up with a new story idea and I'm running with that one. I really don't want to have 3 stories out at once. PLUS, besides my two [sometimes three] consistent reviewers [Moppy, blueleeryan and Anita] no one really reviewss :[ So that makes me sad. So I'm going to try my new story, and maybe I'll return to do a sequel? We shall see!

Thank you to everyone that's reviewed!! I really appreciate it and love you guys for it. Let me know what you think about the ending. Sorry it's so short :[
Alex smiled back at all the faces staring back at her. “I thank you all very much for coming.” She stated politely. A typical book opening. Every magazine and newspaper in the city was there. “This journey has been a long and interesting one, to say the least. I started off playing a game – trying to be someone I wasn’t. I succeeded in that,” Alex smiled around at the one hundred some faces. Until she hit the one she never thought she’d see again. “I played that game. Even though the subject of the game – Nick Carter – thought he was the only one being played, he’s wrong.” His eyes seemed to frown as he glared back at her. The glare wasn’t completely out of anger. He was just confused. “I played myself. More so than I think I played him.

“But that doesn’t mean I’m sorry,” she sighed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Because I truly am. I’m not sure I could ever forgive myself.” She shook her head as tears pooled in her eyes.

He gave her a small smile to reassure her that everything was okay. “Please feel free to join us for autographs tomorrow here at noon until five,” the publisher smiled. The audience began asking questions but Alex pushed away from them to get to him.

“I didn’t think you’d ever want to see me again,” Alex allowed a small smile to grace her lips. “And I’d understand if you never did. What I did was horrible, Nick. It really was. All this time I knew what was happening but I avoided it and allowed my work to take over.”

“And what exactly was happening, Alex?” Nick frowned and rocked back on his heels. A frown appeared over his brow as he studied her face closely.

Alex bit her bottom lip and blushed. How could she just tell him how she felt? How could she tell him that she was in love with him? It wasn’t that easy. “I-I was falling for you.”

“Falling for real? Or falling for pretend, Alex,” he muttered so no one around them could hear their conversation.

“Falling for real,” Alex whispered back as a tear slipped from the corner of her eye. She quickly brought the back of her hand up to wipe away the tear so Nick wouldn’t see it. “I’m truly sorry I wasn’t able to be honest with you, Nick. If I could go back…I would change it.”

“I think we learn from everything in life,” Nick mumbled as he glanced down towards the ground.

“You’re right,” Alex sighed. “So maybe I wouldn’t change everything. But I do know that I’ve learned that I love you.” She said so softly, Nick wasn’t sure he had heard her right. She waited to see what his expression would be.

“That’s good to know,” he nodded simply.

She sighed and went to continue on. “I would change things because I would want you to feel the same…but I know that it can’t be done and I understand that. I thank you for all the amazing times we had together and I wish you the best in your career. I truly hope I haven’t hurt that in anyway. Goodbye, Nick,” Alex looked down at the ground as more tears spilled from her eyes and went to walk away. Before she could, Nick caught her arm.

“I don’t think I can just let you walk away,” he mumbled. Alex frowned, completely confused. “Through all of this I’ve learned that I can’t walk away from you because you’re a part of me now.”

Alex smiled as the pad of his thumb reached up to wipe away her tears and his lips tenderly fell upon hers. Maybe her story would have a happy ending after all.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8486