Into the Woods by Mare
Summary: This is a prequel chapter/short story to Shadow Woods. The challenge this month was to write either a prequel or a sequel chapter to one of your stories. I picked this one by request.

And if I say anymore i'll give away the plot twist to the original, so I am mum! lol


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Kevin
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3891 Read: 1061 Published: 08/07/07 Updated: 08/07/07

1. Into the Woods by Mare

Into the Woods by Mare
Author's Notes:
Okay guys this is the prequel challenge for Shadow Woods. Unless you don't care, I highly recommend you don't read this one unless you've read the actual story since this chapter will give away the main plot twist lol

I mean it is a prequel so if you read it first it won't be the end of the world...but you know what I mean.
Into the Woods






“But Kris…”



“No Kevin, I’m sick and tired of always hearing the same excuses!”



“But you knew my life was going to be like this!”



“I knew you’d have to perform and be away from me. You’re right I did know that. But this is different.”



“Different how?”



“We had plans.”



“I know we did but baby…I have to go.”



“Couldn’t you just tell them you had plans with me and my family?”



I rubbed my hands through my hair, so frustrated I wanted to just chuck the phone across the room. Why was everyone always pulling me in opposite directions? Sometimes I feel like my arms are going to detach from my body I get pulled so much.



“I’m not saying that they can’t go camping Kevin, but I mean couldn’t you for once decline? Tell them they’re on their own?”



“I was going to, but things changed and now it looks like I’ll have to baby-sit.”



“That’s the other thing….” I sat down on the bed and sighed. She was killing me right now. “Why do you have to be their babysitter?”



“Nick’s dad cancelled at the last minute, which changed everything.”



There was a pause, I could tell she was mulling over what I just said. The thing about my girlfriend was, deep down inside she understood. She had taken an instant liking to the other guys in the group, especially Nick. She called him her little cherub, which I found oddly disturbing.



“He cancelled?”



“Yes, the kid was all but crying about it. I told him we’d still go, how can I cancel after that?”



“Please tell me it won’t always be like this.”



“I wish I could.” And I really did. Lord how I wish I could tell her that no matter what she would come first. Our management let us know pretty early on, that to stay on top we had to make everything else second on our list, even our families and girlfriends which we can never admit we have by the way.



When she remained silent I whispered, “I’m sorry Kris, please don’t stay mad at me. I need to know that you aren’t mad or else this entire trip is going to be hell.”



“Maybe that’s what your sacrifice will have to be.” She said before hanging up on me.



“Damn it!” I said, taking a pillow and flinging it across the room.



I was so angry, I was ready to just walk into my cousin’s room and tell him I wasn’t going and he’d have to baby sit his damn best friend for once! “Son of a bitch!” I muttered just as I heard a knock on my door.



“Great!” I shook my head and walked over, “Who is it?”



“Kev?” I rolled my eyes when I heard Nick’s voice.



“What?”



“Are you in there?”



“No, I’m not…you’re talking to yourself idiot!” I felt an invisible slap on the back of my head coming from my mother for ‘talking to a child like that,’ as she would have put it. Thank God she wasn’t here. I could be as mean as I’d like.



“Kevin, can I come in for a second?”



“I’m busy.”



“Please?”



I stomped my feet on the ground a few times as if that would help in some way, and then slowly opened the door. “What do you want?” I asked rather sharply.



He looked up at me hesitantly as he bit his bottom lip. I felt bad and opened the door all the way to let him in. “Sorry... I just had a fight with Kristin.”



He nodded as he walked past me and sat on my bed. Something was wrong with him, but I couldn’t quite make out what it was. I hope he didn’t blow anything up accidentally. “Did you break something in your room?”



“No, why?”



“Because you have a guilty look on your face.”



“God, just because I blew something up once, now every damn time I look guilty….”



“See Nick, most people don’t usually start with the words, just because I blew something up once.”



He instantly frowned as he rubbed at his neck. “I didn’t do anything wrong and I’m sorry you guys had a fight.”



That took me by surprise because he normally wouldn’t care one way or the other. He was actually being sympathetic for someone else? How odd. “What’s wrong with your neck?”



“It’s really stiff.”



“What do you need?” I asked him trying to soften up a little bit.



“Do you have any aspirin?”



“Aspirin?”



He nodded as he continued to rub at his neck. “Brian told me I should come and ask you because you are anal enough to have at least twelve bottles stashed somewhere.”



“My cousin is a real laugh riot.” I said hating the fact that he was right. I did have at least three different kinds of pain relief type medicine on me. “Is this for the neck?”



“No, I have a really bad headache too.”



“Wow, you’re just falling apart aren’t you little man?” I smiled at him but he didn’t laugh or anything. I also noticed he didn’t laugh after my remark about Brian. Maybe he was sick. Great, nothing like going camping with a sick kid! Although…maybe if he was sick, we wouldn’t go and I’d be able to see Kris after all!



“My head hurts, I just really need some aspirin and then I’ll get out of your hair. I know you hate me.” He said, putting his head down as he said that.



I walked into the bathroom and searched my ‘secret stash’ until I found some Tylenol. Filling up a glass with water, I walked over to the bed and sat beside him. Opening the bottle for him as I handed him the glass I made sure I hit upon what he said, “I don’t hate you. Like I said, I had a fight with Kristin because of this trip, that’s all. It has nothing to do with you.”



I handed him two aspirin but he kept his hand out, “Can I have three? My head really hurts bad and I know two will not work.”



“Why don’t we just start with two and work our way up from there, okay buddy?” I gave him a sympathetic smile, trying to put myself in his shoes. It’s not the poor kid’s fault his parents are horrible.



He nodded at me as he popped the pills in his mouth and took a drink of his water. His hands were shaking so badly he actually spilled some on his shirt. “Why are you shaking like that? Are you cold?”



“I don’t know…” He said in a very whiny voice. “I just don’t feel good.”



He suddenly looked like he was going to cry which made me want to get him out of my room and back to my cousin. Yes I’m a horrible person, I know. I had my own problems to deal with and as much as I do care about Nick, I didn’t much feel like getting whatever bug he was clearly coming down with. “Why don’t you go back to your room and sleep for a while.” I said putting my hand on his shoulder.



I was thrown by how hot it was so I instinctively put my hand on his forehead and it was burning up. The kid had a high fever. “Jesus kiddo, you’re burning up.”



He nodded at me as the first few tears came down his cheeks. Great, now there was no turning back. He was hot though and not just a little, more like alarming ‘I need a thermometer’ hot. I stood up and made my way back into the bathroom, hoping maybe I had a thermometer but knowing I probably didn’t. “How long have you been feeling this bad?” I shouted to him while searching my toiletries.



When I walked back into the room, Nick was laying down on my bed with his eyes closed, curled up in a little ball. My television was turned to Casper the movie, playing on the Family channel, “Why don’t you make yourself comfortable…jeez.” I muttered under my breath.



I know it was wrong of me, but once again thoughts of me getting sick ran through my head so I gently walked over and tapped him. “Little man, go back to your room and lay down. I’m going to try to track down a thermometer so we can take your temp, and maybe we should call your mom…”



“No, don’t call my mom. If she finds out I’m sick she won’t let me go camping.”



“Buddy I’m not sure if camping is such a good idea for you right now.”



He sat up, “I’m going camping Kevin. I have been looking forward to this trip for a long time and I’m not going to let some stupid cold change that!” He screamed at me with his usual hot headed temper.



“Okay well, we’ll discuss it later, go back to your room and get some rest.” I was trying to be nice and sweet to him because I knew he wasn’t well.



He stood up and almost fell but luckily I was there to steady him, “Have you been drinking?” I asked with a small giggle.



“I need a drink, maybe that’s the problem.”



“Yeah, that must be it. I’ll order you a few Martinis and send them over.” I kidded as I walked him to the door. “Make sure you rest. I’m going to call your room in a few and I better not hear the sound of beeps coming from your television.” I just knew the kid was going to go and play video games instead of rest, but then again maybe that would work to my advantage. The sicker he is the less chance I have to go on this stupid camping trip.



“See you later and thanks for the aspirin.” He said as he walked out the door, “Please don’t tell anyone I’m sick. I want to go camping Kevin.” He begged and once again I felt like a monster.



That didn’t stop me from calling Kristin the second the boy walked out of my room. She didn’t answer the phone, just like I knew she wouldn’t. I waited for her voicemail to pick up and happily gave her the good news, “Kris, there’s a chance I won’t have to go on this trip after all. I’ll know for sure by tomorrow but Nick is sick so we will probably have to cancel. As soon as I know, I’ll let you know! I love you! Please don’t be mad at me!”



Was it sad that I felt just the biggest sense of relief? Now that we wouldn’t have to go on this trip, I could spend some quality time with my girlfriend and actually have some time to myself. I needed alone time. I plopped down on my bed and closed my eyes, smiling all the way. Tomorrow morning I would call Nick’s mother and tell her he was sick and then follow that up with telling the other guys I was bailing on their camping outing if they still were intent on going. Personally, I’m sure they’ll all be as happy as I am. At least I know Howie will be; he didn’t want to go on this trip anymore than I did.



I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew my phone was ringing. I shot up out of bed; sure it was going to be Kristin when I realized it wasn’t the phone at all but my door again.



“What now?” I asked as I stumbled for the knob.



Brian and Nick were both there this time. “What?” I asked but knew instantly when I saw Nick. He was a yellowish pale color and shivering. “What’s wrong with him?”



“I don’t know…” Brian was panicking as I led them into the room. “He was moaning in his sleep and when I went to wake him up he was so hot. I tried calling you but you didn’t pick up the phone. I didn’t know what else to do.”



Nick went straight to the bed and lay down. “He’s really sick Kevin. Like really sick.”



“Go into the bathroom and get the Tylenol out of my bag.” I said as I went to go sit next to Nick. I felt his head once again and he was even hotter than before. His eyes were closed and he was in a fetal position.



“My head hurts so bad.” He said through chattering teeth.



Brian came running from the bathroom with the Tylenol. “Brian you need to calm down.” I said in as soothing a voice as I could. The last thing we needed was for my cousin to get Nick thinking he was dying or something even though I was beginning to panic in my own right.



I pulled Nick up, “Take some more aspirin buddy….Brian can you go get him some water?”



My cousin darted for the bathroom as another knock was heard, “What is this Grand Central Station?” I asked. “Can you get the door too while you’re there?” I shouted because it seemed like Brian was the new Igor.



“Good you guys are here, I was wondering where you went.” The sound of Howie’s voice echoed through the room as he came in with AJ following close behind. “How is he?” He asked as he got a good look at Nick.



“I think he’s been better.” I answered, gently tousling Nick’s hair and trying to calm myself down a bit at the heat radiating off of him.



“I brought a thermometer.” He handed it to me and sat on the bed across from us. “Brian called looking for one and then I got nervous when he wasn’t in his room.”



“Here’s some water Frack.” Brian said as he zoomed past Howie and AJ and handed the glass to Nick. The kid was so weak he couldn’t even hold it and it fell to the floor. Okay now I’m full blown panicking. Unless this was some kind of act for attention and if it was I’d never speak to this child again.



“Sorry.” He whispered as he watched the water pool at his feet. His eyes were barely opened and he seemed out of it.



Brian grabbed the glass and ran for more water. “Have you called his mom?” Howie asked me as I fiddled with the thermometer.



“Not yet.”



“I actually called her a few times.” Brian said as he returned with another glass of water. This time holding it for his best friend as he took a few sips.



“And?”



“I left her a few messages, but she hasn’t called me back yet.”



“Beautiful…okay little man, open your mouth for me.” He did and I placed the thermometer inside.



When it beeped, I took it out and shook my head; it had to be wrong so I pressed the button to reset and took it again. “What did it say?” Howie asked when he saw me reset.



“Open again Nick…sorry it didn’t take.” He did what he was told without any fuss at all. He was now leaning on me like a rag doll. When it beeped again with the same exact temperature I got into major worry mode.



“What is it?” Howie asked when he probably saw my eyes grow wide. I didn’t say anything and just handed it to him to read for himself. The way he looked back at me when he saw the result made me panic even more.



“Hey Brian, why don’t you go check your room to see if Nick’s mom called back and AJ could you go get some ice for the ice bucket? We need to cool him off.” I said nice and calmly as both guys got up and ran to do what I had asked of them. I could tell they were panicking as well. We all knew there was something horribly wrong with Nick that went beyond a simple cold or flu.



Once they were gone Howie looked over at Nick, “Nicky does anything hurt besides your head?”



Nick was just lying against me with his head on my shoulder. I felt like I had a heating pad on me. “My neck…I’m achy all over…I want to go home.” His voice was cracking and his teeth were chattering. “I’m cold.” He said as he placed his hands inside his sleeves.



“Do you think they have a doctor on call here at the hotel?” Howie asked me.



“I don’t know.”



“I’ll call down and ask.’ He said as he picked up the receiver and called the front desk. I wasn’t paying attention to his conversation though; my own guilt was too busy plaguing my mind. I wished this on him, I mean okay I know him being this sick isn’t my fault but still, I actually was hoping he’d be sick enough so we’d have to cancel this trip. I’m such a selfish prick.



“They don’t have one.” Howie said as he hung up the phone.



AJ came into the room with the bucket of ice and sat down on the other side of Nick, “I brought you some ice buddy.” He said sweetly. Yes, AJ was even being sweet. Brian walked in a beat later and shook his head at me.



“No luck huh?”



“No, I left her another message.”



“I’m sorry I make you keep running all over the place but can you go back to your room and grab his backpack?”



“What for?”



“We need to go to an emergency room.” I answered honestly. I didn’t want to say it in front of Nick because I knew he’d freak out but he caught me off guard when he didn’t react at all. “I’m sure his insurance info and all that stuff is in his bag at least that’s where his father said it would be.” Brian nodded and then shot a worried glance over at his best friend before hurrying out of the room once again.



“AJ, you should go down and ask them where the nearest hospital is. Ask for a map and Howie, you go get the car. Beep when you’re out front and I’ll bring him down.”



“You really think he’s that bad off huh?” AJ asked.



“Yup.” I said resting my hand on the little man’s chest. He seemed like he was having a little trouble breathing now, wheezing as he took each breath.



“You okay little man?” I asked him but he didn’t answer me.



“Hey Nick…” his eyes were barely opened and glazed over slightly red. I wasn’t sure what to do. “Nick…” I said a little louder.



“SMORES we have to make smores!” He babbled back at me.



“Nick, what are you talking about kiddo?”



Brian walked back into the room, carrying Nick’s backpack over his shoulder as well as his shoes. “What’s going on?” He asked as he plopped the bag down on the ground.



“He’s talking about smores.”



“Maybe I should bring a basketball Brian.” He mumbled as he continued to shake.



Brian gently reached over and placed his hand on Nick’s hot forehead, “A basketball sounds like a great idea Frack. You’ll be okay buddy…don’t be scared.” My cousin was so good with this kid. He was so good with all kids.



Nick tried to sit up suddenly, “I need to finish packing!” He tried to move out of the bed but I held a firm hand on him, preventing him from moving.



“Lay back down Nick…you don’t have to worry about packing.”



“Kevin said I need to be packed before he beeps.” I looked at my cousin, no longer able to hide my worry. I was feeling overwhelmed. He looked completely terrified as well.



“Nick, it’s me Kevin…lay down and rest.”



He looked at me and nodded, “My head hurts dad…please make my pain go away and don’t let him take me.” Brian grabbed some ice, placed it inside a washcloth and gently placed it on Nick’s head.



“Frack, do you know who I am?” He asked, his voice cracking slightly.



“Don’t let him get me.” He said one more time and then closed his eyes.



“We need to get him to the hospital Kevin!” I nodded at him and was about to make him run down to check the status of AJ and Howe when thankfully we heard that beep. “Check to see if that’s D.” I said to Brian as I bent towards Nick and pulled him up.



“It is!”



“Thank God…come here and grab his bag okay? I’m going to carry him down.”



Brian nodded, “Need any help?” He asked me as I swooped Nick up into my arms. He placed his hands around my neck by instinct as his bare feet dangled.



“No I got him…but let’s walk fast before I end up dropping him.”



We ran to the car and sped as fast as we could to the hospital. On our way, Nick lost consciousness and we couldn’t wake him up. It got really scary when he started seizing, but luckily by then we pulled in front of the emergency entrance and were met by some doctors who carted him away on a gurney.



The four of us just stood there, helpless as someone finally led us to a waiting room. To them we probably looked like a bunch of scared kids. We had no idea what was going on. It all seemed like one giant nightmare. “How did he get sick so fast?” AJ asked.



“I don’t know.”



“What’s wrong with him?”



“I don’t know AJ.”



“He’ll be okay, won’t he?” I scratched at my head, ready to turn around and scream at this kid who wasn’t listening to me but instead I put my arm around him.



“He’ll be fine, he has to be.” I then gave a small smile to both Brian and Howie before turning back towards the place where they wheeled Nick.



“We’re with you little man, whatever you do, don’t give up.” I whispered knowing that this was only the beginning of a very long nightmare to come.


Here's the link to the rest of the story Shadow Woods

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5902
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8577