Unrequited by starbeamz2
Summary: "When the one you want doesn't want you, too"
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian
Genres: Alternate Universe, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 23324 Read: 19262 Published: 08/12/07 Updated: 10/21/07

1. Chapter 1 by starbeamz2

2. Chapter 2 by starbeamz2

3. Chapter 3 by starbeamz2

4. Chapter 4 by starbeamz2

5. Chapter 5 by starbeamz2

6. Chapter 6 by starbeamz2

7. Chapter 7 by starbeamz2

8. Chapter 8 by starbeamz2

9. Chapter 9 by starbeamz2

10. Chapter 10 by starbeamz2

11. Epilogue by starbeamz2

Chapter 1 by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
I really couldn't help myself...I have a whole slew of stories that need to be finished and, yet, here I am starting another one...I really liked the idea behind this one, so I decided to just write it! I hope you enjoy!
The day Theresa Campbell walked into his life, Brian Littrell was having a red-letter day. He’d just finished the last final of his senior year of college, found out that he’d snagged the title of valedictorian with or without the grades from his finals, and his dream job had landed in his lap that morning. After graduation and a well-earned stint on the infamous booze cruise, he was headed to Boston and a job at the Globe. He was finally going to be the renowned, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist that he’d always dreamed of becoming. And the Globe was going to be the first step on his way.

The sun was shining, the leaves were a brilliant green on the trees, and the warm May weather had brought out shorter sleeves, shorts, and anticipation for the end of term buzzed through the air. As much as most of the students loved their tiny school at the foothills of the Rockies in western Colorado, they were eager for freedom from academia, too.

Brian bounced along down the main thoroughfare of campus with his best friends, Alex and Charlotte. He could barely contain his excitement at everything that had happened to him already that day, and his friends were patient enough to listen to everything he said—even when he’d already repeated it five times.

“We’re good friends,” Charlotte muttered to Alex and received a wink and grin in response.

Brian didn’t see or hear the exchange as he dribbled a basketball ahead of them and chattered a mile a minute about anything and everything. When he finally took a breath, Alex interrupted. “So have the two of you heard about President Campbell’s family coming to Commencement?”

“Are you kidding?” Charlotte stole the ball from Brian and made a face as he scowled at her. “It’s all the deans and professors will talk about. Apparently, his wife is the President at some big school back East.”

“NYU,” Brian supplied. “She’s the President at NYU, and I think it’s kind of cool that he wants our school to impress her. If she talks about Duray at some of those bigshot conferences, it’ll bring much-needed publicity our way. Duray would finally be known on the top levels.”

Charlotte twirled the ball on her fingertip and rolled her eyes. “Duray’s already well-known. I mean, come on, Bri. Didn’t the Boston Globe guy say one of the reasons he hired you was because he’d heard of Duray’s rep in producing incredible journalists?”

Brian’s blue eyes narrowed in concentration for a moment before clearing. “Yeah. Yeah, he did. Either way, though,” he continued, “it couldn’t hurt.”

Alex slipped the ball away from Charlotte and tugged on her curly fall of hair. “Neither could all the really good, really free food that’s bound to be around while the Campbells are here.”

Brian dropped his bag at the foot of a giant boulder and hitched himself onto it. “Do you think of anything but food?”

Alex grinned and patted his nonexistent belly, brown eyes sparkling. “Occasionally. Food is life, Brian. Why think of anything else? Right, Char-Char?”

Charlotte rolled eyes of a shade caught somewhere between gray and green. Plopping onto the boulder next to Brian, she gave Alex a hand up. “I don’t know how you do it, Alex. With all the food that goes into you, you should weigh three hundred pounds.”

“What can I say?” Alex pulled out a can of Pringles from his bag amid groans from the other two. “It’s good metabolism.”

“Maybe you could pass some my way,” Charlotte joked.

Brian nudged her. “What are you talking about? You’re just as bad as he is. Do I have to remind you of how you pack away as much as he does?”

“I run track. It keeps all the food from sticking to my ass.” She patted her bottom affectionately. “Alex doesn’t do any of that, and he’s still okay.”

Brian simply shook his head and lay back on the rock, his head cushioned by his arms. “Today couldn’t get any better, guys. Finals are over, I got valedictorian, and the Globe gave me a job. In one week, we’ll graduate and start our great lives.”

“Together,” Alex added.

“Together,” Charlotte and Brian echoed in agreement.

As they sat in the midday sun atop their favorite boulder on campus, Brian could nearly see the way his life was going to be. He’d start work at the Globe in a few weeks, find a great apartment in Boston, and become the cosmopolitan urbanite that he’d secretly always dreamed of becoming. In the meantime, he’d be able to see Charlotte whenever she had a little free time at Harvard Law, and Alex would fly out whenever he could to see them. Of everything that would happen in the coming years, the only dark spot Brian could see was the fact that Alex had been hired by a consulting firm in Denver and would be thousands of miles away from he and Charlotte. The trio had been together since their first day of freshman English at Duray. They’d clicked over a mutual dislike of James Joyce. Since then, a lot had happened, but their friendship hadn’t changed.

Stronger, Brian corrected himself. It had changed, but only because he knew it was stronger today than it had been four years ago.

“Can you believe it’s been nearly four years since we first met?” he asked the other two as he balanced himself on his elbows.

Charlotte flipped a page in the catalogue Harvard had sent her before glancing up at Brian. “It feels like I’ve known you forever.”

“A lifetime,” Alex agreed. “Imagine if we’d known each other from elementary school.”

“It’d be the same,” Brian decided. “We’d just have more memories. Like the time Charlotte’s bathing suit fell off in the surf when our families would have gone to the beach together.”

She swatted him with the book. “Why my bathing suit? Alex is the skinny one. I bet his trunks fell off really easily, and you and I had the time of our lives laughing at him.”

“How about the time Brian tripped on the chair leg and fell, face-first, into his tenth birthday cake?” Alex suggested, getting into the game.

“Ugh. Food again?” But Brian was grinning. “Like I said, it would’ve been the same, but with more amusing memories.”

Charlotte stuck her book in her bag before resting her elbows on Brian’s chest. “We’ve had plenty of great memories either way. And we’ll keep having them, whether it’s in Boston or Denver.”

“Absolutely.” Brian flicked one of her curls off his nose where the wind had blown it.

The sound of a throat clearing had the three sitting up straight and looking down. The President Campbell that they’d been speaking of now stood staring up at them expectantly. He was a tall, formidable-looking man in his mid-fifties. His nearly black hair had liberal streaks of white running through it, and his dark brown eyes studied the trio as they slid off the boulder looking like children who’d just been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

When they stood in front of him, waiting, he smiled. “Don’t worry. I’m not going to yell at you.”

Brian grinned and dramatically wiped a hand over his brow. “Well, whew! That was a close one. You really had us going there, Mr. Prez.”

“I do what I can to instill a healthy amount of respect into the students here,” Campbell replied with a smile. “I hear congratulations are in order for you, Brian.”

“I could hardly believe the news myself,” Alex joked. “I mean, who would’ve thought our little Brian would grow up to be the valedictorian and get a job at the Boston Globe?”

Campbell held out a hand and clasped Brian’s. “I did. It’s been a pleasure watching all three of you,” his gaze swept over Charlotte and Alex, “grow and have wonderful experiences here at Duray. Now, it’s time for us to unleash you upon the rest of the world, knowing you’ll do wonders wherever you go.”

Brian shook his hand. “Thanks, President Campbell. Really, that means a lot coming from you.”

“Yeah,” Charlotte and Alex echoed.

Before Campbell could reply, another voice interrupted them. “Dad?”

Campbell turned, and Brian’s eyes fell upon the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen. Chocolate brown eyes framed by a straight fall of black hair outlined a face the color of alabaster. A pixie nose topped a bow-shaped mouth painted a delicate pink. She wore a baby doll-sleeved dress the shade of new leaves, and her expression was a mix of curious and pleasant.

Campbell slid an arm around her shoulder and ushered her into the circle. “Theresa, I’d like you to meet three of my favorite students at Duray. Brian Littrell, Charlotte Winthrop, and Alex McLean. Guys, this is my daughter, Theresa. She just graduated from Vassar.”

While Charlotte and Alex politely greeted Theresa, Brian discovered that his voice had run off on him. He was simply mesmerized by everything about her. The way her hair fell over her shoulder, the way she laughed at something Alex said, or the way her voice sounded when she complimented Charlotte on her earrings. It was as though he’d been struck by lightning, and Brian vaguely wondered when the shock would wear off.

When he did manage to find his voice enough to hold a conversation with Theresa, he missed the way Charlotte narrowed her eyes at the expression on his face and the excited tone of his voice.

All he could see was Theresa.
Chapter 2 by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
Aaaaand...here's the next one! Enjoy!
Alex and Charlotte holed up in Charlotte’s room an hour after the three friends had been introduced to Theresa. Brian had wandered off to…wherever he’d decided to go with his thoughts.

“La La Land,” Charlotte suggested.

Alex sighed and shook his head. “Can you blame him? I mean, Theresa Campbell is quite the eye candy.” When she jabbed him with her elbow, he grunted. “Okay, jeez. You’re right. I’ve never seen Brian that weird over a girl before. He’s always been charming and cracking jokes around the ones he likes. But tongue-tied and dazzled?”

“It’s a first,” she agreed. “So what do we do about it?”

“Why do we have to do anything? Theresa would have to be a total moron not to see how great a guy Brian is. If they’re not together by Commencement, it’ll be a miracle.” Alex dug through his bag for something and missed the expression on Charlotte’s face. “They’ll have such beautiful babies.”

Charlotte smacked the back of his head. “Who said anything about babies? Besides, what if she already has a boyfriend back home? If she’s that perfect and pretty, there’s no way she could be single. Right?”

“Maybe she just hasn’t found the right guy, yet,” Alex pointed out. “Maybe Brian’s the one.”

She folded her arms and stared at him. “Are you serious?”

“Uhh…yeah?”

Charlotte huffed and slid off her bed. Grabbing a hairbrush, she tugged it through her long curls. Men, she thought with a roll of her eyes. They thought they knew the way a girl’s mind worked. Fortunately, they weren’t girls and couldn’t always see one the way another girl did. She’d seen Theresa, too, and she hadn’t entirely liked what she’d seen. She just hoped that Brian wouldn’t have his heart trampled upon by Theresa Campbell.

“What are you thinking?” Alex had known her long enough to know that the myriad of expressions that had flitted across her face signaled trouble.

Charlotte merely shoved her hair into a messy bun and met his eyes in the mirror. “I’m thinking you should probably go get ready. If we’re supposed to have dinner with the Campbells in an hour, we can’t be late.”

He sighed and shook his head. “I can’t quite see what you’re thinking, Char-Char, but I know it’s not good. We can’t get between Brian and what he wants. What kind of friends would we be?”

“The good kind,” she replied simply. “The kind that don’t want to see our best friend’s heart broken.”

“What if she’s who he’s been waiting for?”

“Waiting for?”

Alex shrugged as he stood and offered her the bag of gummy bears he’d been eating through. “Come on, Char. Ever since we’ve known him, we’ve known that Brian’s been waiting for that one girl to come and sweep him off his feet. What if Theresa Campbell’s the one?”

Charlotte said nothing for long moments and found that she could say nothing. The idea of some random girl or woman coming in and stealing Brian away from them made her uneasy. And sad. Sighing a little, she took the bag from him.

“I just hope she appreciates him.”

***


At the moment, Brian didn’t care if Theresa appreciated him or not. All he wanted was for her to look at him. Just look at him with those big brown eyes and the expression in them that made his knees go weak. He’d wanted to reach out and comb his fingers through her hair and hold her close. Kiss her.

Considering the fact that her father had been standing not three feet away had made that fantasy stay just that. A fantasy.

But a guy could hope.

He studied himself in the mirror as he tried to comb his sun-streaked curls into submission. They’d been growing a little too long, and he figured he was long due for a haircut. Of course, when he’d asked Charlotte if the curls had to go in order for him to look more mature, she’d disagreed.

“You’re perfect the way you are, Brian,” she’d told him, ruffling his hair. “The curls add charm and a certain spark to you. Keep them.”

So he had. But that had been before Theresa had shown up in the picture. What if the guys she was used to seeing were all clean cut and dressed well? He glanced down at the slacks and royal blue polo he wore. It was the best he could come up with for dinner with the President’s family. Should he wear something else? What if Theresa thought his fashion sense needed a major overhaul? You could never be sure what a girl thought was attractive when it came to male clothing. Then again, he reminded himself, he’d been relying on Charlotte’s sense of style for the past three and a half years.

“And Charlotte’s got the fashion sense of a tomboy,” he muttered out loud. “It’s not like she dresses like a girl half the time either.”

But it wasn’t Charlotte he thought of in his mind’s eye. It was Theresa of the unbelievable beauty and poise and perfection. When he’d seen her, a little voice in his head had whispered, “Yes! This one!” He’d have to be a moron not to listen to his conscience.

When his cell phone rang, he took one last look in the mirror, decided he’d do, and answered.

“You ready?” Alex’s voice came through on the other end.

Brian bent to retie his shoelace. “Yeah. You?”

“Charlotte and I are waiting outside. Whenever you’re set to go, lover boy, so are we.”

Brian winced. “Do you mind? I don’t need the whole world to know.”

Alex chuckled on the other end. “Are you kidding me, Bri? The whole world already knows by the way you seemed to float five feet above the ground the whole time we talked to Theresa Campbell earlier today.”

“Well, great. If everyone else saw it, so did Theresa.” Brian mentally smacked himself as he slid his wallet in his back pocket and grabbed his keys.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m sure she’s already half in love with you. Most girls usually are.”

“The Brian Littrell charm strikes again.”

“Oh, yeah. The only females immune to it are the ones you’re related to, the professors, and Charlotte.” Alex snickered a little. “Of course, the only reason Char-Char’s not in love with you is because she’s got a thing for runners. The sweaty variety—Oof. Hey!”

Brian locked his door and grinned at the sound of his friends bickering. Somehow, their presence made everything seem brighter. “Children,” he said mildly. “Whenever you’re ready to act like normal human beings.”

“Hey, I was just telling it like it is,” Alex began.

“What a rotten lie,” Brian heard Charlotte say indignantly, and his grin widened.

When he stepped out the front door of the dorm and saw Charlotte’s car at the curb, he snapped the phone shut and slid into the car. “Are we done fighting now?”

Charlotte didn’t spare him a glance. “You’re just as bad as he is.”

“Am not.”

“Are too.”

“Am not.” Brian ruffled her hair. “But you know you still love me.”

She merely sniffed. “The jury’s still out on that one.”

While Alex ooh-ed from the backseat, Brian just shook his head. “I’m glad you guys were invited, too.”

“Why? So we can run interference for you when things get awkward with you and Theresa?” Alex suggested.

Brian was silent for a moment. “Yeah, something like that. I just know I’m gonna screw something up, and she’ll never speak to me after tonight.”

Charlotte sighed and reached out to pat his knee. “If she’s got any sort of heart, she’ll fall for you like that.” She snapped her fingers. “How could she not? You’re a great guy. You’re smart, you’re sweet, and funny.” She waited a beat. “Funny-looking.”

Brian rolled his eyes while Alex groaned in the back. “That is the oldest—and the most played out—joke in the book.”

“It’s still funny,” she pointed out and pulled into the driveway of the President’s home. “Well, here we are. Ready?” she asked Brian.

“As I’ll ever be,” he muttered and got out of the car. Staring up at the house, he squared his shoulders and took a deep breath. “I don’t exactly have a choice.”

***


It wasn’t as bad as he’d thought it would be. There was no firing squad waiting to put him out of his misery if or when he messed up. In fact, he’d made it through appetizers and the main course without saying anything wrong. He was seated across the large dining table and down two places from where Theresa sat. The fact that they’d already made eye contact three times during the course of dinner made him want to puff out his chest proudly. He was doing everything right.

On either side of him, Alex and Charlotte watched the non-verbal exchange between him and Theresa.

Pathetic, Charlotte texted to Alex under the table.

You’re so cynical, was the reply.

She’s just playing him.

How do you know?

It took Charlotte a few minutes to think about it. She studied Theresa surreptitiously for long moments. The other girl hadn’t said two words to Brian all through dinner, but she’d watched him right back. As much as Charlotte wanted to believe that Theresa was as innocently interested in Brian as he was in her, she felt there was something wrong. She just couldn’t put her finger on it.

I just know.

We’ll see.

After dinner, Theresa’s mother engaged Alex, Charlotte, and three of the other students that had been invited in a conversation about Duray and their achievements. Unable to keep an eye on Brian and Theresa, Charlotte reluctantly let it go and sighed a little when she felt Alex’s hand squeeze hers reassuringly. He was probably right, she decided. She was too cynical and should just let it go. Brian would be fine. He always was.
Chapter 3 by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
yay for being on a rollllllllll! enjoy!
The garden was gorgeous in the moonlight. The scent of flowers was enchanting, and the tiny fairy lights that lined the path gave the impression of a magical place. Brian was ready to believe in the magic of the moment, to believe that here and now Theresa would be his.

Of course, he wasn’t green enough to think that she’d just fall into his arms. He’d been lucky in relationships thus far, but it hadn’t been without some work. He was banking on his humor and offer of friendship to lay the groundwork for something more.

Theresa had quietly led him out the back door after dinner had ended. The other fifteen students, including Alex and Charlotte, had moved to the parlor with both President Campbells, but Brian was outside with Theresa.

For a few moments there was an awkward silence before she spoke. “This is the first time I’ve been to this part of Colorado.”

“Really?” Brian was surprised. “Your dad’s been the President here for ten years, and you’ve never been out here?”

Theresa shook her head and turned down another path in the garden. The scent of roses was fragile and surrounded them. “My parents had decided to base the family in New York, so there was never any real reason for us to come out here. Dad would spend the majority of the year here, but he’d fly back at least once a month to see us.”

“Wow.” Brian spotted a rose tipping off its stem and scooped it up, handing it to her. “So what do you think of Duray?”

She stroked the petals of the rose with long, elegant fingers. “It’s quaint, and it’s sweet. I like it. I like the people here, too,” she added softly, her eyes on Brian’s. “Everyone’s just been so great to my mother and me.”

“We’d heard a lot about you from your father, and we just wanted you to feel welcome.” Brian took a chance and brushed an errant lock of hair off her face.

“Dad’s talked a lot about you and your friends,” she said after a moment. “I felt like I knew you already when we met this afternoon. He really likes you, Charlotte, and—what was his name?—oh, Alex. I thought he was making you out to be more than you really were, but I was wrong.”

“Really?” Brian paused a moment to wonder exactly what Campbell would have told his daughter about him. “What did your father tell you about us?”

Theresa moved down the path to sit on a stone bench. When Brian settled next to her, she smiled. “Dad said that you were one of the brightest lights he’d seen at Duray in his ten years here. He said that you were bound to do great things with your life, be a great reporter.”

“I want to be,” Brian admitted when she looked to him for confirmation.

“Good luck,” she replied before continuing. “He said that you were a great friend and very generous with your time. That you were a talented musician. You sing?”

He shrugged a little bashfully, stunned by all the things Campbell had told Theresa. “I do. I think I’m all right.”

“All-State Choir’s not just all right.” Theresa touched her hand to his. “It’s a big deal. I did it, too.”

“Yeah?”

“The last three years, I’ve headed up the soprano section in New York’s choir.” Theresa looked down at the rose in her hand and absently plucked a petal from it, letting it drift to the ground.

Brian thought it was time to switch the topic from his accomplishments to her. It was one of the first rules of dating. Talk about her, not you. “So what was your major at Vassar? Was it music-related?”

She shook her head and studied the way fairy lights illuminated the patch of cheery daisies, gray in the moonlight. “Comparative literature. I love to read, so I turned it into my major.”

“Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be?”

“In a perfect world,” Theresa replied quietly. “I know plenty of people that major in something because their parents want them to. My parents were much more flexible than that.”

Brian nodded, thinking of his own parents. “Yeah, I know what you mean. My parents never stopped me when I said I was going to be a journalism major. It’s what I’ve worked towards since I started on the school newspaper in seventh grade. My mom has every last article I’ve ever written.”

“That’s really sweet.” Another petal fluttered to the ground. “I love contemporary Eastern European literature, so I focused on that for my thesis.”

“So what are your plans now?” Brian asked. Her hair smelled like vanilla, though he had to get close to catch the scent.

When she turned to look up at him, he discovered that their faces were close. Close enough that he could, with just the slightest move, press his lips to hers the way he wanted to do. But it was too soon for that, he knew. For both of them.

“Grad school,” Theresa murmured. “At Columbia. I want to teach at the college level, so I have to get through my Master’s and doctorate. I’ve got it all planned out, though, and, if all goes according to plan, I’ll be done in three years.”

Brian’s brows lifted in surprise. “That’s pretty impressive. It takes a lot of determination and grit to get accomplish so much so quickly.”

“I like to think I’m fairly determined.” She sighed a little and broke eye contact before rising. She held out a hand to him. “We should get inside. Dad will probably be wondering where we disappeared off to. I don’t like worrying him.”

After a moment’s hesitation, Brian slid his hand into hers and smiled down at her. “This was nice. It was good to get to know you, to just talk.”

“Hopefully, it won’t be the last time,” she said as they moved off down the path, back towards the house.

Brian secretly hoped so, too, and felt the warmth building up within him. She was close to perfect, he thought. Smart, sweet, and it was obvious to him that President Campbell thought they’d go together well. After all, why else would he have told Theresa so much about him?

As they headed back to the house, neither took notice of the rose Brian had given Theresa. It lay in a pile of petals, plucked clean, on the ground beneath the bench…

***


“So, how’d it go?” Alex sat shotgun this time and glanced over his shoulder to where Brian sat in the backseat, staring out the window. There was a goofy little grin on his face, so Alex had a pretty good idea of how things must have gone with Theresa.

Brian sighed happily. “She’s great. Absolutely great. She’s smart and caring. President C told her all about me. I think he wants us together, too.”

“Really?” Charlotte studied him in the rearview mirror as she drove. “What did he tell her about you?”

“Just what I do at school, that I sing well.” Brian shrugged. “The basics, I guess. She seemed impressed by it, especially since she’s a part of New York’s state choir.”

“Aww, you guys have singing in common. How cute.”

Brian shot Alex a look before the goofy smile widened. “Yeah. She wants to be a professor, and she’s a comparative lit major.”

“Cool. So both of you enjoy writing,” Alex pointed out. “Things are looking better and better.”

Charlotte braked at a stop sign. “Did you ask her if she’s got a boyfriend?”

“Hmm?” Brian met her gaze in the rearview mirror. “What did you say?”

“Is she single?”

Brian opened his mouth to reply—then stopped. He hadn’t. Of course not. It wasn’t the kind of thing you asked in the middle of a great conversation. And yet…And yet, it was utterly important for him to know if she was or not. “I didn’t,” he answered Charlotte. “The thing is, we were pretty close, physically. I’m sure she would’ve said something if she did have a boyfriend back east.” Wouldn’t she?”

Alex didn’t say anything, and Charlotte merely made a hmm sound. Brian knew what they were thinking because he knew them well. Sighing, he slumped back in the seat and wished he’d found a way to ask Theresa, so that he wouldn’t be full of doubts now.

Charlotte seemed to sense the plummeting of his mood and decided to cheer him up. “Brian, I’m sure you’ll be fine. You’re probably right. She would’ve said something if she had a boyfriend. Relax. Are you going out with her while she’s here?”

“We’re going to the movies tomorrow night,” Brian replied after a moment.

“Well, there you go,” Alex said with a flourish. “What girl would agree to something that is so obviously a date if she wasn’t available?”

Brian brightened. “Yeah! Oh, good. That’s a huge relief. Thanks, guys.”

Charlotte pulled the car up in front of his dorm. “Anytime. We’ll see you tomorrow for breakfast?”

“Sure, yeah.” Brian leapt out of the car. “See you then. Good night!”

“’Night,” Alex and Charlotte answered and watched him dance his way into the building.

Alex sighed. “I hope he’ll be okay.”

Charlotte simply nodded. She’d had a bad feeling about this all along, but now…

“I hope he doesn’t end up heartbroken.”
Chapter 4 by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
thanks for the reviews! i'm glad you're enjoying this one!
Alex and Charlotte had to applaud themselves for their immense patience, both of them decided. All through breakfast, Brian didn’t shut up about Theresa. He’d dreamt about her, thought about her before he went to bed, and she was his first thought upon waking. He was convinced that they were meant to be together.

Charlotte texted Alex under the table.

Jeez. He’s acting like a girl does when she’s got a crush!

Alex read the message and had to suppress the grin. He texted back while listening with one ear to Brian recounting the entire conversation he’d had with Theresa the night before. Again.

It’s kinda hilarious. You gotta admit.

Charlotte frowned at the text, but Alex winked at her. She looked across the table at Brian. His eyes were sparkling, and his grin was a mile wide. His breakfast sat, barely touched, on the table in front of him. She sighed.

It’s not hilarious. It’s romantic.

Alex shrugged. He figured it was a girl thing to think Brian’s behavior was romantic. He just hoped that, when he met the woman he was meant to be with, he didn’t act as idiotic about her. Brian may as well have had a giant heart smacked across his forehead because Alex was certain he could very nearly see the little hearts flying around Brian’s head and tiny hearts in his eyes. Boy, he had it bad.

He shook his head and nudged Brian’s tray towards him. “Hey, Brian. It’s great that you’re so into Theresa, but maybe you should eat up. Love requires energy.” He felt his phone buzz in his hand and could feel the holes Charlotte’s eyes were burning into his head.

Brian blinked in surprise and looked down at his tray as though he were astonished to find it there. Thoughtfully, he picked up a fork and dug in. “I guess you’re right, Alex. I’m just so excited and nervous about this date tonight. I mean, do I pick the movie? Does she? Do we go somewhere afterwards for something to eat?”

Alex tried really hard not to roll his eyes. “Dude. You’ve been on a bunch of dates. It’s not that hard.”

“It’s different this time.” Brian’s eyes went dreamy again, and Alex’s phone buzzed in his hand again. He ignored it this time. “She’s different. I wonder, how do you know if you’ve met the one person you’re supposed to spend the rest of your life with?”

“Ask someone who knows,” Charlotte told him sharply.

Brian’s gaze sharpened, focused on her. “Char, is everything okay? You sound annoyed.”

She studied him for a moment. The curly mop of hair, the soft blue eyes, the irresistibly adorable face and remembered that this was one of her best friends. If he was in love, lust, whatever, she had to be supportive of him. “I’m fine. Just tired. I think I’m gonna duck out of our plans for today.”

“What?” Alex and Brian both spoke at the same time.

Alex’s eyes narrowed on her while Brian asked, “Charlotte, you were the one who planned today’s trip. Why are you backing out now? We’ve done lots of fun stuff when we’ve all been tired. You can’t miss the hiking trip today.”

She patted his hand and decided that the people who said the first step was the hardest were right. “You and Alex have fun. I’m just gonna crawl back into bed and read.”

“But you hate to read!” Brian frowned. “Okay, Char, what’s going on? You’re not acting like yourself at all. You love to hike, and you’re backing out on us now?”

Maybe I don’t want to hear all about Theresa for the next eight hours. Charlotte shrugged. “I guess I’m just in a mood is all. I just have to take a little time for myself. Get over it.”

Before Brian could protest anymore, Alex nodded. “You go on then. Take that time, and me and Brian’ll have a great time anyway. At least we won’t have to run up the damn trail like you’d make us do,” he added with a wink.

Brian sighed a little. “Fine. Okay, fine.” He stood and grabbed his tray. “Just as long as you don’t skip out on our roadtrip to the Native American commencement ritual tomorrow.” He skirted around the table and dropped a kiss on her forehead. “Get rid of those blues.”

“I will,” she murmured and watched him go before turning to face Alex. He simply stared at her, his expression expectant. “What? Don’t look at me like that.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah, you do. I’m doing what I need today.” She folded her arms and slumped back in the chair. “I think if I had to listen to another eight hours of why Theresa is so amazing, I’d throw him off the mountain.”

“He’s just happy.” And you’re not, Alex thought, but he didn’t say it.

Charlotte sighed. “I know, and I want to be happy for him. I really do. But I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something off about Theresa. Not the she’s-a-serial-killer type thing, but more something’s going to go wrong for Brian with her. I don’t want to see him hurt. You and Bri are my best friends, and I’d hate for either of you to be hurt.” She leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table. “He’s just this big softie, Alex. And girls can just be plain mean when they want, and I feel like maybe Theresa’s going to play him for a while then drop him cold.”

Alex sighed now, too, and slid an arm around her shoulder. “Then we’ll just be there to catch him.”

***


She brooded about it anyway as she spent the free day she’d gotten packing. It was the last time she’d ever pack away her things at Duray. She wasn’t coming back in the fall. It hadn’t hit her yet that she was graduating and moving on to Harvard. True, she’d finished her political science thesis and taken all of her finals by the date required for seniors. She’d gotten her cap, gown, and stole a few days ago and had packed her bags for the booze cruise that the seniors traditionally went on after graduation. By all accounts, she was ready.

What she wasn’t ready for was to leave her friends. They’d been a constant comfort, always good for laughs and a shoulder to lean on during the tougher times. It wasn’t everyday a girl could stumble upon two guys that were such good friends for her. She wanted to treasure them and keep them near her always. She was already afraid that she was losing one of them.

Charlotte wasn’t naïve. She’d known that the day would come when she wasn’t the only girl in either Alex or Brian’s lives. She knew that they, too, wouldn’t be the only guys in her world. They’d each find their special someone and the circle of friends would, hopefully, grow.

What she hadn’t expected was for that circle to be expanded by a girl who gave Charlotte bad vibes. It wasn’t that she didn’t like Theresa. It was just that she’d felt that there was more to Theresa than what met the eye. She wasn’t sure that all of it was perfectly nice.

The door to her room flew open, and her roommate breezed in with shopping bags in tow. Melanie Grishom was someone who would understand Theresa and the world she lived in very well. Charlotte had grown up in middle class suburbia, but Melanie was from the world of the wealthy. Charlotte loved her and couldn’t have asked for a better roommate, which was why they’d been roommates for all four years. Melanie had also dated both Alex and Brian, and Charlotte figured she’d be a good sounding board.

“Char-Char! This place already looks more gloomy with your posters down!” Melanie tossed her bags on her bed and threw herself onto Charlotte’s bed. “Please, don’t pack anymore! I don’t want to be sad yet.”

Charlotte smiled and nudged Melanie off of her clothes and, folding them, put them in her suitcase. “Mel, we’re going to have to pack sometime. I’m just starting with the winter stuff. For today.”

“Okay, good. Then I won’t feel like such a lazy bum for not packing yet.” Melanie’s eyes narrowed on Charlotte’s face. “Hey, weren’t you supposed to go hiking with the guys?”

“Yeah. I decided not to go.”

“Why not? Brian said today was your day to plan something. It’s not like you to just back out.” Melanie raised one, perfectly arched brow. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing.” Charlotte pushed the suitcase aside and sat on the bed with Melanie. “So, have you met President C’s wife and daughter yet?”

Melanie crossed her legs and studied her nails. “Yeah, I met his daughter at a boutique in town.”

“You met Theresa? What’d you think of her?” Charlotte was curious as Melanie was usually a great judge of character.

“She’s got great taste in clothing and shoes. And the Duray boys were following her around like she was honey and they were flies.” Melanie rolled her eyes. “Men.”

Charlotte grinned. She loved Melanie. “Tell me about it. Yesterday, Brian was falling all over himself to talk to her. He was like a puppy or something.” She rolled her eyes. “And this morning, at breakfast, all he could talk about was Theresa, Theresa, Theresa.”

Melanie wrinkled her nose. “It’s a pain in the ass when the guy you love can only talk about another girl, huh?”

“What?” Charlotte’s eyes popped open. “Where’d that come from?”

“Oh, come on, Char.” Melanie sat up and patted Charlotte’s knee. “You’ve been head over heels for Brian since freshman year. It’s not like it’s a big secret.”

Charlotte’s brows winged up. “What are you talking about? Have people been saying that about me?”

“Not really. I mean, I think it’s really just me that’s noticed.”

“Well, you noticed wrong, Mel. I love Brian as a best friend.” Charlotte shook her head. “Jeez, I can’t believe you thought I had the hots for him.”

Melanie shrugged. “I don’t know, I just thought there was something there. But then, I guess you know yourself better. Anyway.” She reached over and grabbed a bottle of polish off her bureau and began spreading slick ruby red polish on her toenails. “Theresa Campbell is a piece of work. I introduced myself, said how I was your roommate and that she’d met you yesterday, and how nice it was to meet her. And you know what she said?”

“What?”

“She said she didn’t think it was a good idea for me to dye my hair this color because it made me look like a vampiress.” Melanie tugged on her raven-toned hair. “Dyed, my ass! It’s my natural hair color. She’s the one waltzing around with hair darker than the color nature gave her. Then, she looked down her nose at me, and walked away.” She shook her head sadly. “I don’t know how it happened, but a great guy like President Campbell raised a true bitch of a daughter.”

Charlotte frowned, processing the information. She’d known from the start that there was something not so nice about Theresa, but she hadn’t been sure. No one, she thought, could be that rude, could they, if they were truly good? “Maybe if I tell Brian, he’ll back off.”

“No, no.” Melanie wagged a finger. “That’s the wrong thing to do. Trust me, if you try to tell him that she’s bad for him, it’ll only backfire on you. Guys have this pride thing. You just gotta let him figure it out for himself.”

“And if he gets hurt?”

Melanie sighed. “It’s a part of life. Besides, she’s only here for six more days. She couldn’t possibly do much damage. He’s Brian. He’ll bounce back.”

Charlotte leaned back against her pillows and contemplated Melanie’s words. Melanie knew Brian’s mind almost as well as she did as they’d been together for a year. Besides, she’d never been wrong before, so Charlotte figured she’d do just as she’d been advised. She didn’t want to fight with him just before graduation anyway.

“Oh, hey!” Melanie interrupted her musings and reached out to tug on Charlotte’s hair. “Let’s do something drastic to celebrate graduating!”

“What? Like get a tattoo?” Charlotte wondered with mild disdain at the idea.

Melanie rolled her eyes. “No. Let’s cut your hair.”

“What?!” Charlotte slid out of Melanie’s reach. “Are you kidding?”

“No. I think, in celebration of the next phase of your life, you should cut your hair. It’s gorgeous hair, don’t get me wrong,” Melanie added quickly, “I just think you’ve had the same long hair for too long. Since the start of freshman year. So why don’t you get a new style? Something short?”

Charlotte ran her fingers through her waist-length hair and shook her head. “Absolutely not.”

“Think about it?”

She lifted a brow. “Not even for a second.”
Chapter 5 by starbeamz2
There was a knock on Charlotte’s door that night as she sat at her laptop, working on the secret manuscript for her first book. The only people who knew about it were Melanie and the literary agent who’d encouraged her to keep writing.

“Come in,” she called out as she scrambled to save and minimize the file.

Brian pushed open the door and stepped in, the giant bouquet of flowers slightly bumping against the doorjamb as he entered. “Hi, guys.”

“Brian!” Melanie left the magazine she’d been flipping through and went to give him a hug. “It’s great to see you again.” She stepped back and gave him a once-over. He wore a button-down black shirt with dark jeans. His hair had been slightly tamed but still curled appealingly over his ears and the collar of his shirt. “My, aren’t you looking rather fabulous?”

His cheeks turned slightly pink as he grinned a little. “Yeah, well. Big date tonight.”

“Oh, really?” Melanie lifted her brows at Charlotte. “Who’s the lucky girl?”

Brian’s grin widened. “Theresa Campbell. Charlotte didn’t tell you?”

“Nope. Well, she’s going to be pretty thrilled to see you on her doorstep.” Melanie kissed his cheek.

“Thanks. Here.” He slipped a daisy out of the bouquet and handed it off to her. Even though they’d dated for a year and had split nearly two years ago, he was still friends with her. He considered himself pretty lucky to have a friend like her.

“Aww, thanks.” She sniffed the bouquet he held. “Whoo. Those are great flowers. If I hadn’t already dated you, I would snap you up pretty quick. You’re quite the catch, Bri.”

Charlotte shook her head as Brian’s cheeks colored more. “Stop embarrassing the guy, Mel. Brian, did you stop by for good luck?” She gave a friendly tug on one of his curls. “Mel’s right. You look great.”

“Thanks. And, yeah, good luck’s definitely needed.” He paused and bit his lip. “And one more thing. I gotta ask for a huge favor, Char-Char.”

“What is it?”

Brian gave her a big smile. Convincing one. “You know how I don’t have a car but you do? Well, I was just wondering if I could borrow yours for tonight? Please?”

“Uhh…”

“If it’s running low on gas, I’ll fill it up. I’ll make sure nothing happens to it,” he assured her. “I’ll even take it for a wash tomorrow—if you want.”

Charlotte grinned and shook her head. “Relax, Brian. You can take it. Just don’t crash it,” she warned him. “It took me four years to finally pay it off. Be careful with it.”

“I will. Absolutely.” He kissed her cheek. “You’re the best. The very best.” He handed her one of the yellow roses from the bouquet. “I owe you big. I’ll pay you back. Promise.”

She handed him the keys and took the flower. “Don’t worry about it. Have fun. Take care of yourself.” Then, on impulse, she gave him a quick hug. “You’ll be great, and if she doesn’t see it, she’s blind.”

“Thanks, Char.” Brian glanced at his watch. “I better go. Bye, guys.” And he bolted out the door.

Charlotte indulged herself by smelling her rose. When she met Melanie’s eyes, her roommate wiggled her brows at her. “Not in love with him, huh?”

“No. Not even a little.”

But, even as she immersed herself in her writing again, her fingers returned to stroke the delicate yellow bloom.

***


Brian thought their movie date was going well. At least, he hoped it was. He’d pulled up to the Campbell home and sweated the whole way up to the door. When Theresa had opened the door, though, he’d forgotten all about his own nerves. She looked amazing. He didn’t know how she managed it, but she was even more gorgeous than she’d been the night before. She’d loved the flowers. Of course, she had. Hadn’t he already gotten a mark of approval from Melanie, the reigning queen of style among his friends? He had, and so he’d been thrilled when Theresa had made the appropriate female noises of glee and excitement as she’d buried her face in the various blooms.

He’d felt like a prince.

Now, they sat in the movie theater, watching a film about the violation of human rights in Southeast Asia, and Brian couldn’t have been happier. Not only had Theresa chosen the film, but it was one that he’d been wanting to watch for a while. So here they were, Brian thought, sharing an interest in writing, films, and, as he’d discovered on the way to the theater, music. She liked all the classic rock that he was in love with, and she hadn’t minded when he’d sung along. In fact, she’d sung along with him. Whenever he was in the car with Charlotte and Alex, they’d told him to zip it and had never sang with him.

He was if not in love, then tiptoeing very close to the edge. And he’d only known Theresa for a day and a half.

When the movie ended, they walked out of the theater, hand in hand. Outside, Theresa stopped under the glow of a streetlight and smiled up at him.

“I’m having a really great time, Brian.” Her smile was warm, and her hand felt perfect in his. “I’m glad we did this.”

He found himself beaming back at her. “Yeah, me, too. I have to confess something, though.”

“Oh?” Her eyebrows drew together. “What is it?”

Brian lowered his voice to a dramatic stage whisper. “I’d been dying to go see that movie for the longest time. I have to admit I was ecstatic inside when you said you wanted to see it, too.”

Theresa grinned. “Then I’m glad I picked it. We just seem to share similar taste in everything. I haven’t come across really anyone that I’ve shared a passion for classic rock, docu-films, and writing with. That makes me really happy.” She squeezed his hand.

“Well, I’m happy that you’re happy.” He looked over at the parking lot and spotted Charlotte’s car. “Why don’t we finish off this great night with some pizza? There’s this awesome pizzeria a couple blocks from here. The smell of it puts you in heaven.”

“Sounds good to me.”

Fifteen minutes later, they were seated in the middle of one of Brian’s favorite places in the town of Duray—Luciano’s Pizzeria. The atmosphere was homey, the scents were, as he’d said, to die for. Luciano’s was run by a large Italian family, and they treated their customers like part of that family. The restaurant was full of happy sounds, delicious aromas, and plenty of Duray students who’d stopped by for a treat.

Brian and Theresa snagged a booth in a corner of the restaurant where they could watch all the happenings. While they waited for their pizza to arrive, guys from the Duray baseball team that Brian had played on, members from the choir, and others who knew him stopped by the table to ask how finals had gone or to just say hi. There were more than a few brows raised in speculation when Brian introduced Theresa as President Campbell’s daughter. As he knew the campus community well, he knew that the news would fly across campus in the blink of an eye. Tomorrow morning, he’d hear about how he and Theresa were practically married.

It amused him, but, because he wasn’t sure how comfortable Theresa was with that idea, he wished that tongues wouldn’t wag quite so much.

When their food came, Theresa enthusiastically ate a slice, and Brian had the rest boxed up for her as she insisted she couldn’t possibly eat more. “You’ll want more in the middle of the night,” he assured her. “Trust me. We’ve all been there.” So she’d agreed and taken the box.

They left the pizzeria amid a chorus of “Bye Brian” and “Enjoy Duray, Theresa”, then simply stood outside as Theresa gazed up at the sky.

“You can’t really see the stars in New York,” she told him as they walked the block and a half to where the car was parked. “Too much light pollution.”

“Well, there’s plenty of stars here.” Though he was used to the gorgeous nighttime view, he still studied the brilliant stars.

“I sat out on my balcony for an hour last night just to watch the stars,” she murmured. “I really loved it. They seem so bright and close. So much bigger and more numerous than they seem through all the city lights. If I were you, I’d sleep outside every night if I could.”

“Actually,” Brian began, “after the first couple weeks, you stop noticing that they’re there. Then, one night, you’ll look up, and there they are. It’s always a surprise to see the stars shining so brightly. It’s amazing to just watch and know that they’re always there. Even when you don’t realize they’re there, they are.” He stopped and cocked his head. “Does that make sense?”

Theresa smiled. “Absolutely. Sometimes, we don’t see the true value of something because we’ve begun to take it for granted. Then, one day, we lose it and realize just how much it means to us. If you’re really lucky, you can get it back, but it’s a pretty rare thing.”

“Yeah.” His gaze flicked up to the sky once more before it focused on her face again. “Thanks again for coming out with me tonight.”

She laid a hand on his arm. “I should be the one thanking you. It was pretty great of you to take me out. I had a lot of fun. To be honest, I didn’t think I’d have any fun in Duray while I was here. Obviously, I was wrong.”

“Obviously.” He smiled into her warm eyes. “So you thought Duray people would be boring?”

“Well…” She smiled sheepishly. “Maybe. Yeah.”

“And now?” Was it his imagination or was her face angled just a bit more towards his? They were definitely closer, though.

“Now? Now, I think I couldn’t have been more wrong.” Her voice was a breathy murmur.

“Good.” Brian didn’t think he was misreading the signals, and everything in him was screaming for him to just kiss her already. He closed the small distance between them and softly pressed his lips to hers.

***


Charlotte stepped out of the café, her cup of coffee steaming in her hand. Pushing her hair back with her free hand, her gaze swept the quiet street around her. When it landed on the couple across the street, she froze. If it was possible, she thought she felt something inside of her tear in half.

When the pain flashed in her hand, she looked down. The steaming coffee had poured out of her now-crumpled cup and had scalded her hand. Her skin was already a bright red color, and the stinging, burning sensation caused tears to rise in her throat.

Squeezing her eyes together, she knew she’d have to go to the nearby emergency room, since the burn was bad. But what made angry tears spill forth onto her cheeks wasn’t the pain in her hand. She was furious with Brian, with Theresa. But most of all, she was furious with herself.

She was susceptible after all.
Chapter 6 by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
Here's the next one! Enjoy!
Brian could barely contain his excitement the next day at breakfast. As he sat across from Alex at the table, he bounced a little in his seat.

“Jeez, Brian.” Alex took his first hit of coffee and felt more awake. “Did somebody pour itching powder in your pants or something?”

Brian shook his head as he craned his neck and searched the dining hall. “Nope. I’m just so happy today! Where’s Charlotte? I have to tell both of you how the date went last night!”

Alex sighed. “Charlotte’s in bed where she’s supposed to stay all day today.”

“What? Why? We have to go to the commencement ritual at the reservation. Is she skipping out on another one of our plans? God, what has gotten into her lately?” Brian folded his arms and frowned at his eggs.

“Bri, she was in the hospital last night, okay? I had to go pick her up because she was loopy off the meds they poured into her, and you had her car.” Alex poked at his sausage and decided it was edible enough. “She’s supposed to sleep today, especially since she’s got some more drugs in her.”

“What happened to her? Why was she in the hospital? Is she okay?” All thoughts of his night with Theresa vanished in his concerns over Charlotte. “Why didn’t you call me last night and tell me all this?”

Alex shrugged. “I didn’t want to interrupt your date, and Charlotte asked me not to call you. She didn’t want to bother you.”

“Why the hell not? She’s my best friend! How could I not worry about her?” Brian pushed away from the table. “We’re going to go see her right now. I need to see her and make sure she’s okay.”

Before Brian could rush off, Alex grabbed his arm and tugged him back into a chair. “Bri, relax. She’s probably sleeping right now, and you don’t want to wake her up. She just burned herself pretty badly.”

“Burned herself? How? With what, an iron, matches? What happened?”

“You are full of questions today, aren’t you?” Alex lifted the mug of coffee to his lips. “She spilled fresh-brewed coffee on her hand. It was mostly superficial, but parts of the burn are second degree. The hospital wrapped her hand up in gauze and put her on meds because it’s pretty painful. She was loopy last night and probably will be all day today.” He glanced at his watch. “We can stop by and see how she’s doing before we head out to the reservation. How’s that sound?”

Brian took a moment to process all the information, but his mind focused on one thing: Charlotte was okay. “Okay,” he said finally. Then, his mind bounced right back to Theresa and their kiss. “I kissed Theresa last night.”

“What?!” Alex nearly choked on a bit of sausage and thumped his hand on his chest. “For Pete’s sake, Brian, why didn’t you say anything before? That’s pretty important info, you know.”

Brian grinned hugely. “I know. It was amazing. I didn’t really plan on kissing her last night.”

“Yeah, it doesn’t exactly follow your rule of no kissing until the fifth date.” Alex winked and had a piece of scrambled egg fly across the table onto his tray. “Good shot. Too bad you missed.”

“I meant to. Anyway.” Brian’s eyes grew distant as he remembered his date with Theresa. “We went to the movies, went to Luciano’s, and then, outside of Luciano’s, I kissed her. It was pretty amazing.”

“On a scale of one to ten?”

“Definitely a ten,” Brian stated definitely.

Alex’s brows rose. “Really?”

“Seriously.”

“Wow. Congrats.” Alex high-fived him. “So, now what? Are you guys going to go out again or what?””

Brian’s smile was slow and triumphant. “We’ve made plans for every night until Friday. Friday’s the garden party, so we can’t really go out. But I plan on keeping her with me the whole time.”

“So that’s five more dates. Nice.” Alex wondered what Charlotte would say if she were there at the moment. One thing was certain. She would be pissed as she didn’t believe Theresa deserved Brian. Good thing then, Alex mused, that she wouldn’t know. “So what about after commencement? She’s going back to New York, and you’re going to Boston. Are you going to try to keep up a relationship that way?”

Brian leaned back in his chair and contemplated Alex’s question for a few moments. “I haven’t thought about it too much, but I’d like to keep up a relationship with her, long-distance or not. I feel like she’s the one, Alex. She’s the one I’ve been dreaming of since I was little, and I can’t believe I’ve finally found her. I’m going to do everything it takes to keep her by my side. No matter what.”

“No matter what, huh?” Alex was afraid of that last part, but he kept his reservations to himself. It wasn’t easy to be caught between the opposing forces that were his best friends, but he didn’t say anything.

“Yeah. I’m not going to let anything or anyone get between us.” There was a determined gleam in Brian’s eyes, and his mouth was grim. “Theresa’s the one I want. The only one.”

***


Melanie opened the door and let Brian and Alex into the room she shared with Charlotte. She had a small smile on her face in greeting and gestured towards Charlotte’s bed.

“She’s been in and out all morning, but she’s pretty foggy whenever she is awake.”

Brian brows flew up at the pallor of Charlotte’s face and the enormous amount of gauze on her hand. “Wow,” he whispered. “That must have been quite the burn. It’s not like Charlotte to spill coffee all over herself. She’s one of the most careful people I know.”

“Yeah, well, things change,” Melanie murmured. If she’d understood Charlotte’s mumbled, half-asleep words right, it was because of Brian that she was in the pain she was in—emotionally and physically.

Alex slid an arm around Melanie’s shoulder. “Did she keep waking you up in the middle of the night?”

“No.” She let herself lean against him. “She was fine. I guess the drugs really knocked her out. This morning, though, she keeps floating in and out. I don’t really want to leave her alone, you know?”

“I know.” Alex brushed his lips over Melanie’s forehead. “You’re a good friend, Mel.”

Brian continued to stare at Charlotte as she slept. He simply couldn’t believe how sick she looked. In all four years that he’d known her, she’d been ill a total of one other time. It just wasn’t like her to be sick, and it made him feel guilty to know that, while he’d been having a great time, she’d been in the hospital, in pain.

“I’ll be there next time,” he murmured. “I’ll make sure you don’t hurt yourself again. You can’t make us worry like this, Char.” He brushed his fingers over her hair.

Charlotte’s eyelids fluttered a bit at the sound of his voice before she fully opened them. Her eyes were glazed with, Brian figured, pain and the drugs. It took her several moments to focus on him. “Brian.” Her voice was a paper-thin whisper. “You’re here.”

“Yeah.” He kissed her cheek. “Where else would I be?”

She pushed herself into a sitting position slowly, as though her bones would break if she moved at normal pace. “You were with Theresa. Why aren’t you with her now?”

“Char, that was last night. It’s morning now, and Alex, Mel, and I are right here. With you.” He tapped his finger lightly on the gauze decorating her right hand. “I can’t believe you spilled coffee on your hand. What were you thinking?”

Charlotte glanced down at her hand before meeting Brian’s gaze again. In her eyes, he saw anger that hadn’t been there an instant before. “It was your fault, Brian.” Her voice was very controlled, as though she would scream if she didn’t control it. “You shouldn’t have gone out with Theresa. You shouldn’t have gone anywhere near her! Why couldn’t you just listen to me, for once?”

“What the hell? Where’d that come from?” Brian stood and frowned down at her, trying not to be annoyed and reminding himself that she was on painkillers and probably didn’t know what she was saying.

“If you hadn’t gone out with her, if you hadn’t taken her to Luciano’s, and then freaking kissed her outside on the sidewalk, then I wouldn’t be stuck in bed, in pain like this!” Her voice rose hysterically, and Melanie was at her side in an instant.

“Charlotte, you shouldn’t be getting this upset right now. Brian, she doesn’t know what she’s saying,” she began, but Brian cut her off.

“Leave her alone, Mel. She’s obviously clear enough to say what’s on her mind.” His furiously cold blue eyes met Charlotte’s pain-filled and equally furious ones. “What does me kissing Theresa have anything to do with you being hurt, Charlotte?”

Charlotte’s good hand fisted in the bedsheets. “You shouldn’t have done it! For crying out loud, Brian, you don’t even know her! You just think she’s perfect for you, that she’s the one you want to be with, but she’s not what you want her to be. Why the hell can’t you see that? Open your eyes, Brian, before she rips your heart out and stomps on it!”

“You’re wrong.” Brian’s voice was oddly calm. “She’s everything I want, and she will make me happy. If you can’t support that, if you can’t be happy for me, then I must have severely overestimated our friendship.”

“Damn it, Brian! Why the hell are you so narrow-minded?” Charlotte shook her wounded hand at him in frustration. “I saw the two of you kissing, and it pissed me off because you can’t see that she’s not good enough for you! I spilled my coffee because I was startled and then angry at you, at her! Why can’t you just listen, just once, to me on this one? Trust me?”

Brian stepped back from the bed. “Because, for the first time, I can’t. I know what’s in my heart, and I know what’s in Theresa’s.” He couldn’t believe this was happening. How could his best friend not understand his heart, his feelings? Was this what their friendship had come down to? A lack of understanding and loyalty? “If you can’t accept what will be between Theresa and me, then it hurts me to say that I can’t be friends with you for much longer. I thought you understood me, Charlotte. I thought you knew what it was I needed, but I can see I was wrong. You’d better choose, right now, what it is you really want. I don’t want to lose our friendship, but if you can’t accept my relationship with Theresa, then there’s nothing left between us.”

“Brian-” Alex stepped forward in protest, but Brian waved him away.

“This is between Charlotte and me, Alex. Stay out of it.” His eyes stayed steady on Charlotte’s. “Choose, Charlotte.”

She stared at him for long moments as pain began to slowly pulse through her arm again. But the pain in her hand was nothing compared to the ripping pain in her heart that made it difficult for her to breathe. Her heart was breaking, and she couldn’t stop it.

“I wish I could find something about Theresa that would make me able to accept her, Brian.” Charlotte blinked the tears out of her eyes, determined to see Brian clearly. “But I can’t. I’m sorry, I can’t.”

“No.” His resolve was firm, but the sight of tears on her cheeks—something he’d never witnessed before—nearly undid it. The image of Theresa in his mind’s eye, though, made him stick to his decision. “I’m sorry. I guess this is the end.”

“Brian.” Her voice was tiny.

Brian forced himself to look away, to turn and walk towards the door. He opened it and, without looking back, he paused in the doorway. “Goodbye, Charlotte.”

Not waiting for a reply, he left. He needed to be alone, he realized. Somewhere where he could relieve the horrible pressure in his chest because he’d just left behind one of the most important people in his life. There was no going back, and his heart ached at the loss.

Charlotte watched the door shut behind him and, after several long moments, buried her face in her hands and wept. She’d depended on him for four years, loved him for four years, and now, because of the woman he thought he loved, he’d thrown her out of his life.

“Oh, god.” Her voice cracked as tears flowed down her cheeks. She could barely make out the sympathetic looks on Alex and Melanie’s faces. “How could this just happen?”

Alex knelt beside the bed and took her uninjured hand in his. “Char, he’s just mad right now. You just gotta give him a little bit of time, and he’ll come around.”

“No.” She brushed at the tears on her cheeks. “Alex, you know better than that. You know when he makes up his mind, he’s harder to budge than an elephant.” She tried to smile at the silly analogy that had sprung up in her mind and ended up sobbing instead. “It’s over now. It’s really over.”

Alex held her hand and said nothing. Could say nothing because he knew she was right. It was over.
Chapter 7 by starbeamz2

Two days passed and, as the weather turned warmer, flowers blossomed and trees were leafy and green all over campus, turning what had been winter-beaten bare branches and shrubbery bright and colorful. Spring was a time of new beginnings, and, Alex thought as he studied the way Brian and Theresa sat under the shade of a wide oak tree, a time for love.

Or what some wanted to consider love.

He’d tried to be as neutral as he could for his best friends, but he knew it was becoming increasingly harder for him to not be angry with Brian for choosing Theresa over Charlotte. Hadn’t their friendship come further than this, been stronger than this? Or had they just been fooling themselves and let another woman come between them?

"What a cliché," Alex muttered under his breath as he began to walk towards the happy couple.

He knew Brian had taken Theresa out every night for the past three nights, sometimes for dinner or to watch the meteor shower the night before. He was pulling out all the stops to romance her and, Alex knew, make her fall in love with him before the week was up. As much as he loved Brian, Alex also understood how his friend’s mind worked and how desperate Brian was to prove that he’d tossed away a valuable friendship for something solid and true.

So far, there seemed to be no problems.

"Hey, guys." Alex stopped at the edge of the shade and lifted a hand in greeting at the couple.

Brian grinned up at him and waved him closer. "How’s it going, Alex?"

"Not bad. I’ve been packing and doing…other stuff." He didn’t have to see Brian’s face to know that Brian had understood he’d meant spending time with Charlotte.

Brian had to fight the urge to ask how she was, how her hand was, if she’d said anything about him. She hadn’t supported him, he reminded himself, and he shouldn’t be bothered by whatever was going on in her life. But it was still hard to push aside four years of affection and friendship. "Yeah, I know what you mean. I finished packing yesterday." He slid an arm around Theresa’s shoulder. "That way, I could have more time to spend with Theresa."

She smiled up at him and leaned her head against his shoulder before turning to Alex. "Have a seat, Alex. We were just talking about how New York is so obviously better than Boston."

Alex managed a smile and sat across from them. "Well, that must be an interesting conversation, considering how die-hard a Boston fan Brian is."

"Yes, but he didn’t grow up there, did he," she pointed out. "Sacramento’s across the country from Boston, Brian."

"I always knew I wanted to live in Boston when I grew up, though." He let his fingers tangle in her hair and felt a steady warmth glow in him. "It’s been my dream, so, at heart, I’ve been a Boston kind of guy."

Alex just rolled his eyes as the two of them continued to easily debate the issue and let his mind wander. It had taken him a little while to realize why Charlotte had been so truly against Brian and Theresa together. In fact, it had taken a none-so-gentle push from Melanie before he’d realized that Charlotte was in love with Brian. When he thought about it, he realized that he wasn’t really that surprised at the revelation, part of him had expected it for years.

For Charlotte, though, he knew it was a new realization. She’d never mooned over Brian or anyone else because both he and Brian would have caught on right away and teased her mercilessly. Nor had she ever really looked at Brian differently. Alex knew she’d been surprised at what had been inside her for their friend, but, before she could figure out what to do about it, their friendship had been over.

He hurt for her, but, he knew, it wasn’t anywhere close to the amount of pain she was in. Looking back up at Brian and Theresa, he wondered if Brian had told her what had happened between him and Charlotte. After a moment, he shook it off. Brian wouldn’t have. He would’ve thought Theresa wouldn’t appreciate being the cause of a broken friendship. Alex wasn’t at all certain that she would have cared.

He stood abruptly, not able to take watching Brian and Theresa any longer. This is wrong. He stopped himself from saying the words but managed a smile when they looked up at him curiously. "I have to go," he told them apologetically. "I’ll see you later."

And, walking away quickly, he knew it would take him a long time, if ever, to accept Theresa’s place in Brian’s life.

***

"You don’t have to go out," Melanie pointed out. "You should stay in bed."

Charlotte used her left hand to tug a brush through her curls. "If I stay in bed any longer, I’ll go crazy. Absolutely insane. Besides, I need to get out and get some sun."

"How’s your hand feel today?"

She looked down at her bandaged limb and sighed. It still stung quite a bit and, when she’d unwrapped the old bandage to put a new one on, it had looked horribly gruesome. "I’m not going to make deadline if I can’t type, Mel. What am I going to do?"

Melanie wrapped an arm around Charlotte’s shoulders. "Maybe you could dictate it to me, and I can type it up for you. How much more is left of your book?"

Charlotte shrugged. How could she explain that she didn’t know when it would be done until she finished it, until her characters led her to the finish? But, even more, she thought with an inward sigh, how could she explain that the desire to write had dried up amidst the emotional train wreck her week had been. "I don’t know," she finally admitted. "I guess I could call up my agent and tell her that I can send the majority of the manuscript. I don’t think she’ll be able to sell it, though, unless it’s complete."

"You never know." Melanie gave her a comforting squeeze. "We’ll figure something out. Besides, the bandages come off in ten days, and then you can write to your heart’s content."

To her heart’s content. Charlotte wasn’t sure how she could explain to anyone that her heart’s content was out of her reach now. It had taken less than twelve hours for her to realize what she’d always had stored inside her for Brian before she’d lost him through her own stubbornness and fear. For if she were truly honest with herself, she could admit that she’d been undoubtedly unreasonable in her reaction to Theresa because she’d feared that Theresa was the first person who could actually take Brian away from her. And she had, hadn’t she?

Charlotte swallowed the tears clogging her throat and set aside her brush. "I’m just going to go for a drive. I’ll be back in an hour or so."

Not waiting for Melanie’s reply, she hurried out the door, down the stairs, and collapsed in the driver’s seat of her car. True to his word, Brian had returned her car after having had it washed and cleaned out. Even angry, he’d done what he’d said he would. So when he’d brushed her out of his life, he’d meant it.

She rolled down the windows of her car as she drove, eager for the wind to slap the tears out of her eyes. She was tired of weeping, spent from it. It wasn’t in her nature to cry, but what had spilled from her eyes had been tears from her heart. She’d relied on Brian during four of the most important years of her life, and then she’d hurt him enough that he’d pushed her away. That was enough to crack even the strongest of people, she thought and turned down the avenue leading towards the mountains.

Charlotte drove until she reached her favorite overlook on the mountain road. From there, she could look down at the valley, see Duray, and be at peace. Or at least try to be. She could hear birds singing in the trees around her and swatted away a bee that buzzed near her face. Kneeling down, she plucked up a tiny blue wildflower that struggled to grow through the rocky ground. She twirled it absently between her fingers as she settled on the hood of her car and thought.

***

Dusk was settling by the time she drove back down the mountain. Melanie had called already to find out what had held her up, so, feeling guilty, she began the drive back to campus. Instead of heading towards her apartment building, though, Charlotte made an impulsive turn and drove in a different direction.

The neighborhood bordering the north end of campus was quiet and lined with stately homes, each more elegant than the next. The majority of Duray professors made their homes here, and Charlotte found herself driving towards a home she’d visited just a few days earlier.

Not giving herself time to rethink anything, she parked her car and walked up the stone path to the front door. She rang the doorbell then stood, twisting her fingers nervously together.

President Campbell opened the door, and pleasure lit his eyes. "Charlotte! What a great surprise to see you. Come in, come in."

She let herself be pulled through the doorway then stood in the foyer and glanced around anxiously. "President C, I was wondering if Theresa was home."

Campbell frowned a bit before his expression cleared. "No, she’s not. I thought she was going to be with you. Brian just picked her up an hour ago, so I just assumed…I mean, I thought it was pretty great that you, Alex, and Brian were really making her feel welcome by spending time with her." He studied the look in Charlotte’s eyes and sighed. "What happened?"

She shook her head and tried to smile. "Nothing. Nothing at all. Theresa and Brian have been spending a lot of time together, but I thought you knew." She paused. "I guess not."

"No." He sighed. "Well, why don’t we go on back to my office, and you can tell me what’s bothering you." He looked down at her bandaged hand. "And what happened to your hand."

Charlotte nodded, realizing that she’d needed this. She’d needed to be listened to by someone wiser than she or her friends. Someone who was an outsider to the situation. Sort of. She followed him back to the kitchen and grinned when he gestured towards the kitchen table. "Some office," she commented.

"Oh, yes. I enjoy it immensely." He pulled out a pitcher of lemonade and two glasses and brought them to the table. After pouring them both a glass, he settled in a chair across from her. "So, tell me what’s going on as it appears I’m out of the loop as concerns my daughter and some of my favorite students."

She stared at him a moment and swallowed the lump of emotion in her throat. "President C," she began in a not so steady voice, "you make me wish I still had my dad around."

"Oh, honey." He patted her hand, remembering that her father had been killed in a car accident during her first week at Duray. "Talk to me."

And she did. She stumbled over the words, the story, but, eventually, it all came out. She winced a bit at the parts where she’d argued with Brian about how Theresa would hurt him, but, knowing it was too late to stop, she finished out the story.

"I know she’s your daughter, President C, but I can’t help it if I think she’s bad for him." Charlotte sniffled a little and sipped the lemonade, needing it to wet her dry throat.

He gave her a small smile before patting her hand again. "Charlotte, she may be my daughter, but I’m not blind to Theresa’s, let’s say, shortcomings. She’s more her mother’s daughter than mine." He stopped a moment and frowned. "That’s not to say that her mother is terrible because, after all, I do love her. What I mean to say is, we raised Theresa together as much as we could, but you kids end up turning out however it is you want to. We gave her everything we had, the best of it, and she thrived. Maybe she isn’t the most sensitive to other people’s feelings, but she is what she is. And I love her."

Charlotte sighed. "Well, Brian’s convinced he loves her, too. He’s so angry with me, though, and he’s never going to take me back as a friend. It’s just-" She sighed. "It’s just not fair."

Campbell felt a little like a parent watching his child learn that love was one of the hardest lessons a person could learn in life. "I know. It’s often not fair, and, no matter how your parents and teachers will try to shield you from it, there’re just some things that you have to learn on your own. Sometimes, life shoves you down hard, and there’s nothing you can do but stand up, brush yourself off, and keep going." He met her eyes. "I’ve watched you for four years, Charlotte, and there is no doubt in my mind that you will keep going. It’ll hurt because you don’t have Brian with you, but you’re not the type to close yourself off."

"I guess you’re right," she replied after several moments of pondering over his words. "Thanks for listening to me. It helped more than all the sympathy I’ve gotten from my friends."

"There are times when you just need a good, healthy dose of straight talk. Reality." He studied her gauze-covered hand again. "I’m sorry about the burn."

She looked down at her hand, too. "Yeah, me too." She shrugged. "It’s only for a few more days. I just hope it doesn’t scar or anything." Standing up, she shook his outstretched hand. "Thanks again. I have a lot to think about."

"It’s what I’m here for," he told her with a smile as he led her to the door. "Don’t be too hard on yourself or your friends. It’s almost time for you to move into a new part of your life. Try to make amends, Charlotte, or you’ll always wonder what if?"

She nodded and managed to smile back. "I’ll see you at the garden party on Friday."

"Friday," he agreed and watched her go.

***

"Hey!" Alex nearly pounced on her when she opened the door to her room. "Where’ve you been all day? Mel and I were ready to call the cops."

Charlotte hugged him hard and had his brows shooting up. "I’m okay. I just had something I needed to do."

He hugged her back then tilted her chin up to study her face. When he didn’t find anything worrisome in it, he nodded. "Okay. I’m glad you’re feeling better."

"Oh, yeah. Loads." She tossed her keys and wallet onto her bare desk and looked back at him. "So, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be hanging out with Brian and Theresa?"

Alex made a face that made her smile. "I don’t think so. I tried this afternoon, but it was too hard. They’re just so sickening." He sighed. "It makes me glad that they’ll be out East, and I’ll be here. I won’t have to watch them."

"Yeah." But she didn’t say more. Despite the new energy she’d gained from her talk with Theresa’s father, the majority of her still ached from the loss of Brian.

Alex must have sensed where her mood was headed because he threw an arm around her shoulders and grinned. "So, you’re stuck with me tonight. I thought we’d order in, since we haven’t done that in a while, and maybe watch a movie. I’ll even spring for a chick flick," he added in a dramatic whisper that brought a smile to her lips.

"Oh, Alex." She hugged him again. "I’m glad I still have you and Mel."

As his arms came around her to hold her close, he wondered if it was wrong to want to strangle Brian with his bare hands for making Charlotte so miserable. Brian may have been his close friend, but there were some things that Alex knew he couldn’t stand to see. A heartbroken Charlotte was one of them. It was probably a good thing, he decided, that in two and a half days, it would all be over. They would each go their own ways, down different paths.

Separately.

Chapter 8 by starbeamz2

Brian stared at the computer screen, reading and re-reading what he’d written. Unsatisfied, he highlighted and deleted the last three sentences he’d typed. Then, running his hands over his face wearily, he tried to think of a better way of phrasing things. He was a journalist, he thought, frustrated. Words were his business, and knowing how to eloquently use words was his forte. And yet…

And yet nothing was coming out the way he needed it to for his valedictorian address at commencement. Which was in less than forty-eight hours. But he wasn’t going to panic, Brian told himself firmly.

He had a total of two paragraphs written that he was proud of, but all they detailed was his first, uncertain days at Duray. He wanted to say more, so much more about finding where he fit with Alex and…and Charlotte, he thought. He couldn’t. Though his anger at her had evaporated in the last few days, he was still unwilling to take back what he’d done in, he admitted to himself, haste and anger.

There was no going back now.

Shoving aside his regrets, he focused on the screen again. He wanted to talk about the intervening years between those first days and now. Closing his eyes, he walked back into the past.

There he was, slaving over his writing in the beginner’s writing seminar for the journalism major. Invariably, that class had helped him hone his rough writing skills, but not before it had taken a lot of his sleep, his energy, and, what felt like, his blood, tears, and sweat. Charlotte had helped him out. She, too, had taken the class, but only because she’d wanted to write. Somehow, she’d had an easier time in the class, and she’d helped him edit his papers until they were perfect.

He opened his eyes, scowling. He had to stop thinking about her. They weren’t friends anymore, and he hadn’t seen her in four days. It was the longest he’d ever gone without seeing her whenever they were at school, but he threw out that errant thought and told himself to focus.

After he’d finished writing about the class, minus the Charlotte part, he leaned back in his chair and took another trip down memory lane. Sophomore year, he’d had a wild hair and decided to take organic chemistry. It had been a bad idea all around, and Alex and Charlotte had tried to talk him out of it. His pride in question, he told them he’d pass the class with flying colors. With raised eyebrows, they’d watched him struggle through the class, burning vats of midnight oil that semester.

Of course, he’d just barely scraped by with his first D ever in a subject, but the experience had taught him a lesson. There were times when you should listen to those who know better, otherwise, you had to learn to take a failure good-naturedly. He had. Sort of.

Grinning at the memory of how excited he’d been at the D, he typed some more before thinking about the past again. Within moments, he realized that he couldn’t keep delving back into the past four years successfully. At every turn on memory lane, he ran into Charlotte. Not that he didn’t expect it, he reminded himself. After all, she’d been one of his closest friends, the one he’d run to whenever he had a problem. It was her number that most often stayed at number one on his dialed calls list in his cell phone.

Except for this week.

Resting his head in his hands, he wondered what he was supposed to do now. He needed help on this last, vital piece of work that he’d do at Duray, and he’d pushed away the one person he relied on to help him.

With a sigh, he picked up his cell phone and called. When Alex answered on the other end, he could hear laughter, music, and plenty of voices. "Alex? Hey, it’s me. Where are you?"

If Alex was surprised to hear from Brian, he didn’t say. "I’m hanging out with Mel and Charlotte." He paused. "What’s up, Brian?"

"Nothing. What are you guys doing?" The question slipped out before he could stop himself. Part of him wished he were there, in spite of everything, and not alone.

"Charlotte wanted something different," Alex replied after a moment’s hesitation. "So we decided to give her that something different. It’s…interesting. And fun."

Brian sighed inwardly and wondered for the thousandth time in the past three days, why he’d broken up his closest circle of friends. Then, the image of Theresa fluttered in his mind, and his resolve strengthened. "Well, maybe, when you’re done whatever you’re doing, you could drop by and help me out." His voice sounded cold and disapproving to his ears, but he couldn’t stop. "I’m having trouble with my speech."

"Oh." Alex paused. "Well, you know, public speaking isn’t exactly a strong point for me, Brian."

Brian narrowed his eyes, trying not to let the frustration show in his voice. "Can you just come over for a little while then? I think, at this point, anything can help."

"Why don’t you ask Theresa?"

There was a short silence, and Brian could hear his ragged breathing. Why, he asked himself, was he getting so worked up? "Alex, I need your help. Please."

The plea in his voice broke Alex. "Okay. I’ll be by in an hour, maybe an hour and a half." There was a murmur of voices before Alex spoke again. "I gotta go, Bri. I’ll see you soon."

"Yeah." Brian snapped his phone shut and stared at it. Was it just him, or had Alex chosen Charlotte over him?

***

She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Shocked, stunned, she was speechless. Lifting her good hand, she ran it over her hair and gulped when her fingers closed over air.

"Oh, man. What did I do?"

Alex patted her shoulder reassuringly. "It looks great. I didn’t know you could look so…hot with short hair. You should’ve done this a long time ago."

"Why, so you could hit on her?" Melanie frowned at him before she knelt in front of Charlotte. "He’s right, though, you look fabulous. You’ll be swatting away guys the second you walk out that door."

Charlotte shut her eyes. "I don’t want to swat away guys. I don’t even want them to look at me like this."

Alex leaned against the dresser and studied her new look. Her glossy dark curls had been cut, so they now settled to chin-length. The style made her look younger, but, as he’d said, prettier. Her features had been refined, so her face now had the effect of looking almost fairy-ish. When she opened her eyes, he decided that the new hair made her eyes look bigger, even if the expression in them was uncertain and wary.

"Well, look at it this way," Melanie tried again. "You’ll save a lot of money on shampoo and conditioner, since you won’t need as much."

Charlotte sighed. They were trying to make her feel better about making such a big decision. She’d had that long hair for four years, and she wouldn’t have cut it if she hadn’t been feeling so depressed and in need of a change. "Okay," she said finally. "You have a point. And thanks for calling me hot, Alex. A girl can never have too many compliments."

Melanie grinned at the phrase she always used. "You’re absolutely right. Tomorrow, at the garden party, you’re going to knock the Duray boys off their feet."

Alex’s brows lowered darkly. "I don’t think so. They get within five feet of her, I’ll have to punch someone."

"Aww." Melanie patted his cheek before leaning up to touch her lips to his. "That’s so sweet."

His arm slid around her waist, and he pulled her closer. "Try again."

When they pulled apart, they found Charlotte staring at them with speculation gleaming in her eyes. "So, how long has this been going on?"

For the first time in four years, Charlotte found Melanie at a loss for words. "Well, ah, hmm…" She looked to Alex helplessly, and he grinned at Charlotte.

"A week and a half. About." He kissed Melanie’s forehead. "We decided to try again. I guess we just sort of missed each other and wanted more. What’s wrong with wanting more?"

Charlotte returned his smile. "Nothing. As long as you two are happy, I’m happy."

"We’re moving in together when we get to Denver," Melanie told her and had Charlotte’s mouth dropping open in shock.

"Isn’t that moving a little fast?"

"Nope." Melanie grinned. "We dated for over a year before we broke up, and, now that we’re back together, we know what we want. What would be too soon would be if I told Alex that, in two years, he’s going to marry me."

Charlotte and Melanie both had the pleasure of watching Alex’s jaw drop and his expression turn scared. "Look, Mel, I love you, but marriage?" His voice was tinged with anxiety. "We’re too young for that sort of thing. Right, Char?" When she just gave him that knowing smile, he turned to Melanie. "Mel, baby, we’ve got plenty of time. Our whole lives. Let’s not worry about weddings or anything right now."

Charlotte settled herself on her bed and listened to her friends argue over the status of their impending marital bliss. What, she wondered, would it be like to find the one you wanted to spend the rest of your life with? Her mind turned to Brian, and she sighed. She did know what it felt like, but she also knew what it felt like to lose that person.

Then again, she reminded herself, you never really had him to begin with. Saddened again, she decided that there were some people who would never really be able to have their true love by their sides, herself included. For them, love would always remain unrequited.

***

Brian stared at his phone in dismay. She’d cancelled on him. Theresa had called to call off their date. It would have been their last time to be alone together before the festivities of the next few days, the last time he would’ve had to really find out what was in her heart for him. If there was anything for him.

"I’m really sorry, Brian, but something’s come up." Her voice sounded so excited, so happy, that he didn’t have the heart to say anything but agree to cancel the date. "You’ve been so great the last week for taking me out and showing me that Duray wasn’t really as bad as I was expecting. Thanks so much, Brian. I’ll see you at the garden party tomorrow."

That was it. A quick two minute conversation, and he suddenly had the sinking sensation in the pit of his stomach that signaled something was wrong, terribly wrong. A little voice in the back of his head whispered that maybe, just maybe Charlotte had been right about Theresa.

Oh, not completely right, he thought with a shake of his head. Theresa wasn’t heartless, and she probably didn’t mean to make him feel as awful as he felt. She had never said anything about their relationship. In fact, he thought with a sick feeling, she hadn’t called him more than a friend. Ever.

Had it all been in his head? Had he been so stubborn that he’d only seen what he’d wanted to see and hadn’t even allowed the idea that she might not want him back to enter his head?

"Oh, man." Brian rose to pace his room restlessly. Was it really possible that he’d kicked Charlotte out of his life for nothing?

He saw his best friends in his mind’s eye. Alex, dependable Alex who had always been there to lend a helping hand or tell a good joke. And Charlotte. Brian stopped in mid-step as all the different memories he had of her filled his mind.

Charlotte helping him with his writing, always there to edit his papers. Knowing he could pick up the phone at three in the morning and call her to talk. No matter how tired she was, she’d always make time to listen to him.

There were other images of her, teasing him, the way they’d crack each other up for no reason in the most boring of classes they’d sometimes taken together. Or how she would rap along with the most nonsensical of hip-hop music and make him laugh at the way she’d bump and grind along to it. She’d taught him how to play the electric guitar and had covered her ears, laughing, whenever he made the instrument squeal painfully.

Always Charlotte. Every memory of his college years was somehow linked to Charlotte. And he’d tossed her out in favor of Theresa. True, Theresa could make him laugh, but she’d never teased him. She was certainly too dignified to dance like crazy in her room. She was reserved, careful about letting her true feelings surface, whereas Charlotte’s emotions bubbled on the surface.

"Shit." He sank onto his bed, covering his face with his hands. What had he done?

No. He straightened after several moments and squared his shoulders. Maybe he was still wrong. Maybe he was unnecessarily thinking that Theresa didn’t want him. She might not have said anything about their relationship, but she also hadn’t said anything that made him think she didn’t want him. Tomorrow, he’d find out exactly how she felt about him, and then…

And then he’d go beg Charlotte’s forgiveness. It wouldn’t matter, he wouldn’t let it matter, what she thought of Theresa if he ended up with her. He only knew one thing.

He needed Charlotte in his life.

Chapter 9 by starbeamz2

The day of the annual graduating class’s garden party was spectacular. Against the dramatic backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, Duray was brilliant hues of greens, pinks, and yellows as the grass continued to soak up the sun and flowers bloomed beautifully.

"I hear it’s supposed to stay sunny through tomorrow," Alex told Charlotte as they drove to the airport to pick up Charlotte’s mother. "Good luck, right?"

Charlotte slid sunglasses onto her nose as she drove. "Definitely good luck. Plus, it means we won’t get dripping wet if it decided to pour on us. Can you imagine how bedraggled we’d look?"

Alex pictured the graduating class in their sopping wet robes and grinned. "It would be pretty funny—except that we’d be in that predicament, too. And, let me tell you, my mother would not be at all amused."

"She’s supposed to be here by two for the garden party, right?"

He checked his watch and calculated time. "Yeah. She said she was only a few hours away when I talked to her an hour ago. It’s been a long semester. I can’t wait to see her."

"Aww, Alex. That’s too cute." Charlotte reached over and pinched his cheek before he could swat her hand away. "You’re such a good son. It must be luck that I found myself two best friends who love their…" She trailed off and fell silent.

Alex didn’t have to look at her face to know that she’d be frowning. He tugged on her short curls. "You’re absolutely lucky to be friends with me." He paused. "So, what do you think your mother will say about the new do?"

"Oh." Her hand lifted to her hair when she remembered. "I guess she’ll be surprised. When I was little, she used to chop my hair this short, so maybe it’ll be a walk down memory lane for her."

"Oh, yeah! I remember your kindergarten pictures!" He leaned his head back and smiled at the memory of the picture. "Well, the hair still makes you look as cute as you did then."

She grinned. His own hair was probably not going to fit under the graduation cap unless he somehow smoothed his faux-hawk down. But then, he’d probably already figured out a way to keep the ‘hawk and the cap on. It would be just like him to buck tradition. "So what do you think your mom’s going to think about your hair?"

He patted his hair gently. "My mother thinks I’m unique." His lips curved. "She’ll shake her head, try to get me to make it look nice tomorrow, and then she’ll let me have it my way in the end anyway."

Charlotte just shook her head and pulled into the terminal at the tiny airport outside of Duray. Within moments, she’d spotted her mother waiting by the doors. She pulled the car up near her and leapt out to envelop her mother in a huge hug. "I’m so glad you’re here, Mom! It’s so good to see you!"

If Mrs. Winthrop noticed that something was wrong with her daughter, she didn’t say. Instead, she simply hugged her daughter back and then did the same to Alex when he’d finished loading her bag into the trunk of the car. "I’m glad I’m here, too! I can’t wait until tomorrow. I brought that digital camera, Charlotte, that way I can take lots of pictures. I finally figured out how to work it," she added sheepishly as they all settled into the car.

"Cool. I don’t think my mom’s figured it out yet," Alex commented from the backseat. "She still presses the power button when she wants to take a picture."

Mrs. Winthrop chuckled. "We can’t help it. All this technology is easy for you kids, not so much for us." She glanced over at Charlotte. "So, where’s Brian? I would’ve figured all three of you would’ve come together."

Charlotte was careful to avoid eye contact with Alex as she tried to think of what to tell her mother. "He was busy, Mom. I think his parents were coming in today, too, and he’s got to work on his valedictorian address for tomorrow, too."

Keeping her thoughts to herself, Charlotte’s mother nodded and studied the passing scenery. Her daughter thought that a mother didn’t always know everything, but Mrs. Winthrop knew quite a bit about her only child. Especially when it came to a certain young man. She didn’t know what had happened in the past few weeks, but she was sure she’d find out soon enough. And then, she’d see what she could do to help Charlotte. After all, as a mother, her first priority was her child’s happiness.

***

"Brian, honey, where are Alex and Charlotte?" Mrs. Littrell knotted her son’s tie and straightened his collar. "I thought you’d all be together, and I could take pictures of the three of you."

Brian tried not to fidget under her eagle-eyed stare. "Uh, they’re busy with their own parents. You’ll see them in a little while, though." He looked past his mother to where his father was reading over his valedictorian address. "How’s it looking, Dad?"

Mr. Littrell set the pages down and sighed. "Brian, it’s good, but I feel like there’s something missing. You’ve got all this about classes, but what about everything else you did here? What about your friends? I thought you would’ve mentioned them at least a thousand times, but all you’ve got is a sentence about how you made valuable friendships. There must be more."

"Ah, well." Brian shrugged. "I wanted the focus to be on the academic experience because that was really important for me."

"And Charlotte and Alex weren’t?" Mrs. Littrell frowned. Had Charlotte’s mother been right about something going on between the trio of friends, more specifically between Charlotte and Brian?

When he shrugged again, his parents exchanged a meaningful glance before letting the subject go. They’d never get anything out him if they put his back up with too many questions. Instead, Mrs. Littrell checked her hair in the mirror one final time and hooked her arms through Brian’s and her husband’s.

"Well, shall we get going then?"

Both her men simply grunted in assent, and she swept them out the door.

***

"God, I remember why I hated dresses so much," Charlotte grumbled as she shut her car door in the parking lot of the park where the garden party was being held. Around her, her fellow classmates streamed by with their families. Her own mother skirted around the front of the car and studied her daughter.

Charlotte wore a sleeveless, tea-length dress in a pale teal shade. Melanie had tucked a white rose into her hair at the perfect spot, and, despite the frazzled expression she currently wore, she looked luminous. Mrs. Winthrop sighed a little at how much her only child, her baby had grown so in twenty-two years.

"Honey, you look wonderful! I’m glad you cut your hair the way you did. It makes you look so lovely." Suddenly, her eyes were teary. "My baby’s all grown up, now. I know your father would be so proud of you if he were here today. Finishing up your undergrad and going on to Harvard Law. Why, he’d have bragged to everyone who would listen."

"Oh, Mom." Charlotte threw her arms around her mother and squeezed hard. "I miss him, too. But I think he’s here with us. I always feel like he’s watching over me, making sure I’m okay. So I think he knows what I’ve done and what I’ll do, and he’s proud of it."

Mrs. Winthrop brushed the tears off her cheeks and kissed Charlotte’s forehead. "You’re absolutely right. He is always with us, no matter what."

"Yeah." Charlotte tugged at her dress a little. "Mom, why don’t you go ahead and grab us a table? I’m going to switch these heels for a pair of ballet flats in my trunk. I think I’ll be less likely to fall on my face in those."

"Okay. I’ll just go and find Alex, Brian, and their parents," Mrs. Winthrop replied and didn’t miss the expression on Charlotte’s face. Not saying anything, she started off towards the festivities.

Charlotte watched her mother go and wondered how she would explain that Brian was no longer a part of her life. Her mother probably wouldn’t stand for that fact, but it wasn’t as though there was much that she could do to fix it. She and Brian had taken their stands, unfortunately, on the opposite sides of a mile-wide river it felt like.

Muttering to herself, she slipped off the ridiculous stilettos that Melanie had forced on her and popped open her trunk to pull out her much more comfortable ivory-toned ballet flats. When they were on her feet and laced up to her ankles, she shut the trunk and, squaring her shoulders, started towards the tents and tables that had been set up on the grass.

Halfway there, she glanced around and saw Theresa among another row of cars. Knowing that she should go and make some sort of peace with her, Charlotte started towards her…and froze in mid-step.

A tall, blond-haired man had come up next to Theresa, and she’d put her arms around him and kissed him. Not, Charlotte remembered, the way she’d kissed Brian, but the way you’d kiss someone you were totally and completely in love with. Almost like in the movies, she thought with a sinking sensation in her stomach as Theresa and the random guy continued to swap spit.

Unable to watch any longer, Charlotte headed back towards the party area and spotted Brian talking to Alex’s mother, while Alex chatted happily with the Littrells and her own mother. Brian seemed to be looking around, searching for someone as he spoke, and Charlotte knew he was looking for Theresa.

With a glance over her shoulder, she saw that Theresa and her boyfriend (?) had begun to make their way over. Walking as fast as she could in the dress, she knew she had to intercept Brian before he spotted Theresa.

"Brian!" Charlotte rushed into the group of people and quickly greeted the other parents with a smile before she hooked an arm through his, not caring that he hated her at the moment.

Brian frowned down at the way their arms were linked, and then he glared when she started to tug him away from Mrs. McLean. "Charlotte, what the hell are you doing?"

"We need to talk." She kept pulling on his arm and managed to budge him a few more feet. "Come…on…over…here." Gritting her teeth, she kept yanking even when he dug in his heels and refused to move.

He yanked his arm out of hers and stared at her, simply astonished. What on earth had gotten into her? He hadn’t apologized to her or anything, so why had she thought it was okay to start dragging him all over the place? "Are you out of your mind?" he began then spotted Theresa over Charlotte’s shoulder. "Hang on a second," he muttered and shoved by her to get to Theresa.

Miserable and knowing he would be too in a few minutes, Charlotte could do nothing but watch him go.

Brian hurried over to Theresa, excited to see her and talk to her. Today was the day, he thought, when he’d finally tell her how he felt and hoped that she’d feel the same way. If she didn’t…His smile vanished when he saw her hand linked with that of another young man. "Theresa."

She turned away from the people she was talking to and smiled at him. "Brian, hi! Oh, I’m so glad you’re here!"

"Yeah. Me, too." But he couldn’t make his voice sound cheerful.

Theresa continued to smile as she tugged the man by her side forward. "You know how I cancelled on you for last night? Well, this is the reason why. Brian Littrell, this is Nick Carter. Nick and I have been dating for the past two years, and he decided to come to Duray and surprise me!" She beamed up at Nick, and he grinned back at her. "And, if that wasn’t enough, he proposed to me this morning!" She held out her left hand, and Brian saw the diamond-encrusted ring on her third finger.

His heart sinking, his spirits crushed, Brian could do no more than to smile blankly in the face of her joy. "Wow, Theresa. That’s really great. I’m sure you two will be very happy together."

"Thanks, man." Nick finally spoke and reached out to shake Brian’s hand. "Theresa told me that you’ve kept her from being absolutely bored out here, so I should thank you for taking care of her."

Brian nodded. "Sure, sure. No problem." He needed to get out, get away. His heart had shattered into a million tiny pieces that had been scattered all over the place. There was a hot ball of emotion lodged in his throat, and, if he wasn’t careful, he knew he’d lose it in a second. "Listen, congratulations to the both of you. I’m happy for you, but, uh, I need to go see…someone. Yeah. I gotta go. I’ll see you later."

And, as quickly as he could manage without it looking like a retreat, he hurried blindly through the groups of celebrating classmates. When he found a solitary bench a hundred yards from the party, he collapsed onto it and buried his face in his hands.

He couldn’t believe how horribly he’d bungled everything. How had he misread every signal wrong? Had he been so caught up in his own wants, his own desires that he’d missed the very vital fact that Theresa hadn’t wanted him back?

But she’d kissed him, hadn’t she? Brian paused and thought about it. If she’d had a boyfriend, then why had she kissed him? But then, if he were honest, he thought, he’d been the one to kiss her. Had she kissed back?

Brian tried to remember everything that had happened, but that one meeting of lips had lasted, what, three seconds because he hadn’t wanted to push it. Oh, jeez. He covered his face with his hands again. The kiss that he’d deemed a perfect ten had been no better than the way he’d kiss a cousin. Everything really had been all in his head, and he felt like the biggest moron alive to think that he’d ever be able to really capture the attention of someone like Theresa.

"Brian?"

He looked up and found Charlotte sitting next to him. He blinked. "What did you do with your hair?"

"Huh? Oh." She tugged a hand through her short bob of curls. "I cut it."

"It looks…nice." Actually, he thought, narrowing his eyes to study her, it looked better than nice. She looked great. Beautiful. Had that face, those eyes, that perfect skin been hiding under there always? "You look nice."

"Thanks." She tried not to let his compliments affect her. After all, he was probably really upset from the way things had fallen apart with Theresa. "Are you okay?"

Brian turned away from her and stared out at the pond across from them. "No. Maybe." He sighed. "I made a huge mistake."

"What happened?"

"What you knew would happen. She had a boyfriend, he flew out yesterday, proposed to her this morning, and now they’re engaged." Brian sighed, disgusted with himself. "Why didn’t I listen to you?"

She wanted to give him a hug but knew she couldn’t. "Sometimes, you have to make a mistake in order to learn from it." Even if it meant that he was upset. And, suddenly, she was angry with him again. He could’ve prevented his heartbreak. He should’ve listened to her. If he had, he wouldn’t be hurting this badly, and he wouldn’t have broken her heart in the process.

"Listen, Charlotte." Brian shifted to look at her and was surprised at the anger on her face. "What? Why are you mad?"

"Because you could’ve prevented this." She folded her arms over her chest and frowned. "Because you didn’t have to hurt this bad if you’d just listened to your friends. Did you think we warned you because we hated you and wanted to see you miserable?"

"N-no."

"And then, on top of that, you decide that I must not be a good enough friend because I didn’t want to see you hurting. So what do you do? You kick me out of your life!" She nearly punched him with her gauze-covered hand before she remembered herself.

Brian was shocked at her anger, though he knew she had a right to be angry. "Okay. Okay, look. I was going to apologize to you today for that. I made a mistake, Char, and I’d like to ask for your forgiveness. I’m really sorry."

"Yeah?" Charlotte stood up and glared down at him. "Well, I’m sorry, too. I can’t accept your apology." And she stalked back towards the party.

Brian stared, could do nothing but stare, as she walked away and, what felt like, out of his life. His heart felt as though it were breaking again, only, this time, it felt a thousand times worse. Is this how she’d felt when he’d turned his back on her and left? He rubbed a hand over the ache in his chest and wished, for the billionth time in the past half hour, that he hadn’t messed things up so badly.

"Hey, buddy." Alex dropped down on the bench next to him. "What’d you do this time?"

Brian sighed. "Everything. You’ve probably seen Theresa and her fiancé by now, right?"

"How could I miss them? Or that rock on her hand." Alex whistled. "She could signal ships in the Atlantic with that."

"Yeah, rub it in." But he shook his head and sighed again. "I messed up really badly with Charlotte, and I don’t know how to make it right again."

Alex studied his friend for several moments before deciding to dispense a few words of advice. "Look, Brian. I should probably stay out of it, and she’ll probably kill me for telling you this, but maybe you haven’t really thought through what exactly you did when you walked out on Char. You didn’t just ruin a friendship because that’s not all there is for her." He patted Brian’s shoulder and stood. "When you figure it out, you know where to find her."

And he, too, left Brian sitting on the bench, staring after him with his jaw dropped. Brian wasn’t dumb, he’d understand what it was Alex had meant. He only hoped Brian knew what to do to set things right.

Chapter 10 by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
Well, we're almost at the end of this tale...So I just wanted to thank those of you who stuck by this story faithfully. It hasn't been one of my best, but I enjoyed writing it, and I hope you enjoyed reading it! Epilogue's next!

“I know I messed up, but I just hadn’t realized how badly I messed things up.” Brian paced the length of his parents’ hotel room while they watched him from where they sat on the edge of the bed.  “I didn’t know Charlotte had feelings for me—at least, not ones more than friendship.” He looked over at his mother helplessly.  “What am I supposed to do now? How do I make her see that I really am sorry?”

 

Brian’s mother was no fool.  She’d known that Charlotte had had feelings for her son for a long time, even if the girl didn’t know it herself.  But what she wasn’t at all certain of was whether or not her son had any feelings in him for his best friend.  “Brian, honey.  Do you want to make amends with her because you truly regret all the mistakes you’ve made this week or because you feel sorry for Charlotte because of her feelings for you?”

 

“I don’t know,” he answered honestly after long moments of silence.  “But then, how am I supposed to know how I feel about her? Alex just dropped this bombshell on me a few hours ago! I haven’t had time to really think about how I feel.  I mean, maybe, when I first met her, I had a…a thing for her, but we’ve been friends for so long that I just don’t know how to feel.”

 

“How about right now?” His father studied Brian with sharp blue eyes that saw past the surface.  “What do you feel right now about what Alex told you?”

 

“Shocked.  Flattered.” Brian frowned.  “That doesn’t sound too nice.”

 

“Maybe not,” his mother agreed, “but you can’t tailor your feelings to suit those of the people you love.”

 

Brian sighed deeply and turned to gaze out the window at the view of the valley.  “I love Charlotte but as a friend.  I’m perfectly positive of that.  It’s the more that I don’t know about.  If she’s felt this way about me, why didn’t I ever get those vibes before from her? I would’ve known, wouldn’t I, if she’d seen me as more than a friend?”

 

As his mother, she wanted to tell him that too many times a person could miss what was right in front of his eyes, especially when it was something important.  “Maybe.  Maybe not.  From what I can gather after speaking to her mother, Charlotte didn’t know what she felt for you until she saw you with Theresa.” Wanting to add more, she didn’t.  Brian would have to come to his own conclusions, make his own decisions.

 

“Oh, man.  No wonder she was so against me being with her.” He tapped his fist against his head.  “Why didn’t I see it?”

 

“Because you didn’t want to,” his father told him.  “Just like you didn’t want to see that Theresa didn’t want you back the way you wanted her.  Brian, if there’s one thing I think you can improve upon in your dealings with other people, it’s that you so often project your own feelings onto others and expect them to feel the same way you do.  You wanted to see Charlotte as just a friend, so you never expected that she might feel more for you.  With Theresa, you saw her as perfect for you, but you wouldn’t let yourself listen to everyone who told you otherwise because you expected Theresa to feel the same for you.”

 

“So I’m selfish?” Brian’s voice sounded insulted, and his mother rose to pat his cheek.

 

“Honey, you’re not selfish.  You just need to think all this through, though, and figure out what you’re going to do from here.” She glanced at her watch.  “Your father and I are meeting Alex and Charlotte’s mothers for dinner soon.  You’re welcome to spend the night here or we can drop you off at your dorm again.  I hope you think everything through long and hard, though.”

 

Oh, he was going to, he promised himself later as he hurried up the staircase in his dorm.  He was going to think about a lot of things and try to figure out where it was he’d taken a wrong turn.  He wanted Charlotte back in his life, but he was completely unsure of how he wanted her back.

 

Shutting the door behind him, he plopped into his desk chair and stared around the room at its emptiness.  The walls had been cleared of all of his posters, the closet was empty except for the suit he’d wear for graduation, and his desk held only his laptop and the sheet of paper that was his commencement address.

 

He snatched up the sheet and skimmed over it quickly before grimacing.  His father had been right.  He needed to make major changes, ones that would reach into the hearts of those he loved.  Pushing open his laptop, he took a deep breath and plunged into the battle in his head, his heart.

 

***

 

The glory of the day didn’t strike him the way he’d hoped it would.  When he’d imagined graduating from college, he’d pictured himself full of hope and joy.  His parents and his best friends would be by his side, and, with their support, he’d take those first steps into his promising future.

 

When the actual day had come, when he stood before his peers, saying the words that had come from his heart, he didn’t feel the joy, and the future didn’t seem so promising.  His eyes skimmed over his parents beaming at him in the audience, at Alex’s thumbs up signal, and, finally, at the way Charlotte didn’t look at him as he spoke.  There was hope in his heart, but only a flicker.

 

Glancing down at his notes, he took a small breath before smiling at his graduating class as he began his final thoughts—the ones he’d so hurriedly rewritten the night before after a great deal of soul searching and hair pulling.

 

“If there is one piece of advice that I hope you all will carry with you into your brilliant futures, it’s this: cherish your family and your friends.  Don’t leave them behind in all the hustle and bustle of your promising careers because they are the only ones who will stand by your side and offer their unflagging support whenever you need them.  Heed their advice because they’ll probably be right and because they only want what’s best for you.” His gaze landed on Charlotte again.  Her hands were twisted together, knuckles white, in her lap.  It was, he knew, a sign of her nerves.  “There will be times, too many to count, that you’ll forget to exercise your judgement in that heady rush of needing to plunge into an exciting new enterprise.  Those who love you will guide you back to where you really need to be—but only if you let them.  And maybe, just maybe, if you pay attention to their advice, life will surprise you with a new adventure, one that’s far more than anything you could have ever dreamed of for yourself.  Fellow graduates, we’re moving on into that awe-inspiring real world, and, as much as we think we’re on top of the world at this moment, we can just as easily be brought to our knees if we don’t take care of what’s ours.  I don’t know too much about life yet, but what I’ve just said is one of the few things I’ve come to be absolutely certain of.  So as we step forward into our bright futures, we go with the knowledge we’ve gained and those we love close to us.  There’s not much more we really need.” He paused and grinned at them.  “I’ve been blessed to study side by side with all of you for the past four years, and so I wish you all the best of luck.  We’ve finally made it.”

 

As he shook hands with President Campbell and his dean, as he listened to the rest of the speeches, as he walked proudly up to receive his diploma, Brian’s mind was set on what was to come after.  He wasn’t certain, not entirely, of the consequences, but he knew he had to try.

 

***

 

Getting through the rounds and rounds of well-wishers, seeing his professors for the last time, and doing one last victory dance with his baseball teammates took up more time than he’d expected it to take.  By the time he got away and was headed back to his parents’ hotel room for their final night in Duray, he was exhausted and edgy.  He’d meant to find Charlotte by this point.  He needed to talk to her, but he had no idea how to find her.  Of course, he could always call her, but she probably wouldn’t pick up when she saw it was him.

 

When his parents got out of the rental car, Brian snagged the keys from his father.  “I’ve gotta go find her,” he said simply, knowing his parents would understand.  They watched him drive off before they sighed a little and let him go.

 

She had to be at her dorm, Brian mused as he drove.  She would want to spend time with Melanie for a little longer before they parted ways.  He’d gotten a kick out of finding out that Mel and Alex were back together again, and he only hoped that he could convince Charlotte to take him back…as something.

 

His eyes narrowed when he saw her, her mother, Melanie, and Alex standing at the curb near her loaded car.  Fear and fury clawed through his gut and snatched at his heart.  Leaving, was she? Without seeing him? Did she really think she could leave with everything brewing between them? 

 

Hell, no.

 

He’d screeched the car to a stop right behind hers and was already stalking towards her before he remembered himself.  He managed to easily greet her mother and send Alex and Mel the look they knew all too well.

 

“Uh, Mel and I are going to run back inside and check for anything that we might have left behind,” Alex said, wondering if either Charlotte or Brian heard him.  The way they were staring at each other, he didn’t think they had.  “Let’s go, Mel.”

 

Mrs. Winthrop looked from her daughter to the young man she’d come to consider a son.  Her heart sighed once before she took a step away.  “I’ll come with you, Alex.”

 

And then, they were alone.

Epilogue by starbeamz2
Author's Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry it took so long for me to tack on the ending of this story, but here it FINALLY is! Thanks for sticking to it and enjoying it!
When they were alone in the light cast from the setting sun, Brian and Charlotte stared at each other, shadows playing over their features, making it hard for either one to judge exactly what the other was thinking—something they’d been good at doing.

“Did you think you could just leave Duray without seeing me?” The words exploded out of him, and he didn’t bother wishing he could’ve started off in a better way.

Charlotte’s eyes narrowed before she turned away to shut her trunk.  “There was no real reason to see you.  You took care of that all on your own.”

His hand grabbed her arm and turned her to face him again.  “You wouldn’t let me apologize.  You shoved it back in my face, so what did you want me to do?  Damn it, I spent the last day trying to figure out how to fix things.”

He let go of her and scrubbed his hands over his face in a gesture she knew meant he was tired and frustrated.  Love for him welled up inside her, but she suppressed it, knowing it had no place to go.  “Did you figure anything out?”

Brian stopped and turned to her, his eyes a little sad.  “I’m sorry that I broke your heart, that I didn’t know I could break it.”

Her jaw dropped.  “How did—who…” She took a deep breath and willed herself not to cry.  She wasn’t a sniveler, though, in the last week, she’d wept more than she had in four years.  All because of him, she thought hopelessly.  “Alex told you.” It wasn’t a question, but a statement.

“Yeah.” Brian shrugged.  “I’m glad someone told me because I was in the dark about it.  Charlotte.” He reached for her again, but she stepped out of his reach.

“Don’t.  Just don’t.” It was her turn to pace now.  “I didn’t know that you could break my heart either.  I didn’t like it when I found out, and I don’t like it now, either.  I didn’t ask to love you like this, Brian.  And I didn’t know I did until I realized that I might-”

He didn’t want to press her, but he needed so badly to know.  “Might?” he prompted.

She rubbed her bare arms as the air grew chilly with the coming of dusk.  “Lose you,” she whispered.  “I didn’t know that I needed to have you with me before I knew that I couldn’t handle the idea of losing you.”

“Charlotte.” His hands rested on her shoulders.  “I want to tell you that I’m flattered, that I’m stunned that you feel this way about me.  You couldn’t lose me, ever, because we’re best friends.  Forever, remember?”

Their silly pact before winter break freshman year.  Of course, she remembered.  “Yeah.  Forever.” But not the way she needed.  She shrugged his hands off and leaned against her car.  Her heart hurt.  She knew he didn’t love her, and she didn’t think she could handle standing there with him for too much longer. “What’s the point of this, Brian? We’re not going to get anywhere because you know damn well you don’t have feelings for me, not the ones that I need.  Why hash and rehash it all?”

“So we can get somewhere.” Brian didn’t know what to say, where to step.  He studied her for long moments as she leaned against her car, her eyes shut as a single tear ran down her cheek.  This woman, he thought, was so precious to him, had been for nearly four years.  He couldn’t imagine how his life at Duray would have been without her and didn’t want to imagine how it could be in the future without her.  She was one of the strongest people he knew, and he’d never seen her cry.  That she would, for him, had his belly roiling with guilt.  Her short bob of curls fluttered in the breeze, and she shivered once before opening her eyes.  Her eyes, the not quite green, not quite blue shade of them, pierced his and went straight through him.  In that one moment, he felt all the puzzle pieces he’d been trying to sort out come together.  “Here.”

Charlotte didn’t bother refusing to take his suit jacket.  Slipping into it, she treasured the feeling of warmth that penetrated her bones and the way it smelled like him.  She was tired, too, and just wanted to get this emotional rollercoaster out of the way.  She knew how it was going to end, so why bother prolonging the pain? “Thanks.” She swallowed, trying to come up with the best words to end things.

He spoke before she could.  “Charlotte, you’ve been such an important part of my life.  There’s not a single memory I have of Duray that doesn’t bring me right back to you.  You are one of the best friends a person could have, and I’m lucky that I got to have you in my life.”

“Look, Brian,” she began, temper licking at her because she didn’t want to hear him gently let her down.  “If I’d wanted your pity, I would’ve started on the waterworks.  I may be in love with you, but that doesn’t mean I need you to feel sorry for me because-”

Brian leaned over and cut off her words with his mouth.  Instantly, he was sucked in by the sensation, was dazzled by it.  What the hell was this? he thought, a bit dazed, even as the first taste of her slipped into his system to run amok in his blood.  He was drowning in her, and he couldn’t believe that he’d missed what had been in front of him all along.  That silly kiss he’d shared with Theresa was nothing, nothing compared to the impact Charlotte had on him.

Charlotte felt her fingers curl into his shirt as every minute of misery she’d wallowed in vanished with this single meeting of lips.  It was nothing like she’d imagined.  It was far, far better.  And it was a lie.

“No.” Even as she felt his resistance, she shoved him back and away from her.  “No.”

He would’ve reached for her but saw the misery in her eyes.  “Why?”

“Because it’s not enough.  Because, if we act on chemistry, it wouldn’t be enough for me.” She shut her eyes briefly before she turned to face him.  “I can’t be just a random fling for you, Brian.  I’d starve wanting more, and you’d end up hating me for needing more than you’re willing to give.  It’s better all around to just stop it all right here before it goes any further.”

Brian gently took her hands in his.  Her eyes were wary as they met his.  “Charlotte, what I feel for you isn’t just friendship, it’s not at all pity, and it’s nowhere near as casual as you think it is.” He rested his forehead against hers.  “It was your eyes.”

“Huh?” He was talking in riddles, she thought, when her heart was in his hands.  “What are you talking about?”

He smiled.  “When we first met, when you first looked at me across the seminar table in freshman English, your eyes caught me by the throat, and I couldn’t breathe.”

“Get out.”

“No, really.” His hand combed through her curls as her head rested in the curve of his neck.  “They’re the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen.  In that moment, it felt like you could see right into me, into my heart, and I fell face-first in love with you.”

She jerked back now and stared at him.  “You did not.  You never said anything.”

“Because, before I could screw up the nerve to ask you out, you were helping me out with my first journalism paper, and we were friends.  I thought that’s all you wanted, so I buried all those crazy feelings I had for you and told myself we were better off as friends.” He tugged her towards him and kissed her lightly.  “We’re not better off as friends.  Thursday night, I figured out that I’d been wrong and needed you back in my life, desperately.”

Charlotte frowned.  “You didn’t know about Theresa yet.”

“No, I didn’t, but I knew about you.  I remembered that, through thick or thin, you’d always stuck by me, no matter what.  I knew I couldn’t lose you, but, when I tried to apologize, you bit my head off.” He cupped her face in his hands.  “I really am sorry that I hurt you.”

She shook her head, overwhelmed by everything he’d told her and everything she could see in his eyes.  “It’s okay.” She paused.  “You’re not going to tell me that you still love me the way you did freshman year.”

“No, I’m not.” Brian saw the hurt darken her eyes, and his fingers tightened on hers.  “Your eyes got me again today.  I didn’t know what I was going to say to you when I got here.  I thought I’d try to mend our friendship and beg your forgiveness.  You didn’t buy any of it, and you cried.  I made you cry right now, and I feel so guilty because I’ve never seen you cry before.”

“Brian, it’s done.  I told you, you’re forgiven.”

He shook her a bit, making her mouth drop open in shock.  “Let me finish, will you?”

“Fine.”

Brian suppressed the grin that wanted to break out on his face.  “There you were, leaning against your car with your eyes closed because you just didn’t want to hear what I wanted to say.  But I didn’t know what it was that I wanted to say until you opened your eyes.” His fingers traced her cheekbones softly.  “They got me again and made me realize one thing.”

She couldn’t quite control the shiver his touch caused.  “What’s that?”

“What I felt for you in the beginning was nothing, nothing at all compared to what I feel for you now.” He smiled softly.  “I’m in love with you, Charlotte.  All the way in love, and, before you say anything, I know my heart very well.  It’s in your hands, baby.  It has been all these years, and I just didn’t know it.”

Charlotte couldn’t speak, didn’t know what to say when given everything she’d despaired of for days.  “Brian.” But her eyes, the ones he’d fallen in love with, told him everything he needed to know.  “I love you, too.”

When he caught her close, his lips pressed to hers in a kiss that tasted of their joy, she could see that future he’d spoken of at commencement, and it was brilliant.

“Brian.” She murmured it against his lips.

“Hmm?” God, he didn’t think he could bear to let go of her for even a second.

“If you ever want out of this relationship, I’m going to kill you.”

Bursting into laughter, he pulled her close to him and felt their hearts beat together.  Their future, he thought, was definitely going to be bright.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8582