One In A Million by Anita
Summary:

Brian stops at Starbucks again.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Other
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1521 Read: 661 Published: 10/30/07 Updated: 10/30/07
Story Notes:

As usual, here is my short lyric story for the new album, cheesy as it is, its tradition for me.

1. One In A Million by Anita

One In A Million by Anita
One In A Million

The alarm clock went off as the digital numbers changed. Opening her eyes with a groan, Ray reached over and hit the off button. With a sigh she sat up pushing her brown hair out of her face. Glancing outside and seeing that it was still dark, she made a face throwing the blankets off.

Off in the distance, stray pink and golden hued lights showed that the sun was getting ready to rise. It was 5:30 am and already the day had begun for Ray.

She jumped into the shower, the hot water rushing over her sore and tired body. She shut her eyes for a moment trying to relax and wake up fully. After a couple of moments, she quickly washed her hair and jumped out.

Grabbing her uniform she threw on the clothes now madly rushing so she wouldn't be late to work. Grabbing her jacket, purse and keys, she ran out the door.

"Goodmorning Raychelle." Helga her neighbor waved. She was already up and walking her dog.

"Morning Helga." Ray called back slipping into the drivers seat.

She carelessly tossed her things onto the passanger seat. Slipping her key into the slot she tried to turn it on. The car made a grinding sound as it tried to start.

"Oh come on you dump piece of metal start!" Ray cried stomping on the gas pedal.

She turned again and the car roared to life. She smiled satisfied and pulled out heading to the Starbucks that she worked at. She pulled into the employee parking lot and rushed in. Glancing at the clock saw that it was already nearing 6 am and she was late. She cursed and threw an apron on hurridly trying to get all the things ready.

Already out the door she saw a crowd of people waiting to come in before work. Glancing around to see if everything was together, she rushed to open.

"About time." A Lady snarled pushing in.

Ray sighed flipping the open sign on the door and rushed behind the counter.

The door opened and in walked one of her regular customers. Brian Littrell. He always came in right before work and ordered the same thing each morning. A caramel frap no whipped cream and a blueberry muffin.

Ray was completely surprised on how thin Brian had been able to stay. Watching her carefully, Brian got into the long line.

He watched as she flashed the lady at the counter as she passed the lady her order. The lady turned around and left without a thank you or a tip in the tip jar.

She wakes up with the sun
She throws on her clothes
Hoping her car will start the second time around
The day has begun
The line’s at the door
Serving up frapps until she can’t take anymore

I see it in her broken smile (oh, I)


Ray breathed out as the typical morning started. It had just begun and already her lower back hurt her. She rubbed it briefly as she continued her little coffee dance around the counter getting everyone what they wanted.

She glanced up and saw Brian watching her. She gave him a bit of a smile and continued what she was doing.

Brian felt his heart skip a beat as her eyes had briefly met his. He wished that he could talk to her to let her know that he understood what she was going through in some ways. He wanted to reach out to her and let her know how special she was even with what had happened.

Yet, maybe it was because who he was, but Ray had never given Brian a second glance.

Wish I could tell her
You’re one in a million
You’re going the distance, babe
You’re gonna work it out some day
Wish I could tell her
You’re one in a million, but
You never even look my way

No she never looks my way
She never, never, ever looks my way


As the cumstomers kept Ray busy, she grew slightly sweaty from the Kentucky heat. As she waited for the blender to finish she quickly pulled her slightly damp hair up into a messy bun. She was greatful for the warm breeze that ran over her curved neck.

She ran a hand over her eye slightly smearing her eyeliner but she didn't pause to fix it. The morning rush was always hell and she just wanted to get it over with.

Grabbing two cups, she poured the drinks in them and rang up the couple that was next. Then, as they stepped away, Brian stepped up.

"Good morning Ray." He said giving her his usual grin.

"Good morning Brian." She answered not meeting his eye exactly.

"How is everything coming along?" He asked as his eyes briefly went over her lower body.

"As well as can be." She said tiredly.

Brian nodded.

"I'll take my usual one please."

Ray moved back getting the order ready. Brian leaned on the counter watching her intently.

She ties up her hair
Her make-up is smeared
Wiping the tears that she wants no one to see
She screams on the pain
I hear every word
Why don’t you know how beautiful you are

Just see it in my broken smile (Oh, I)


If Brian could have it his way, he would go kill the jerk who had left Ray in her situation. He knew that she deserved so much better than what she was going through.

He wished he could help her because he felt as if she could be better than just serving up the drinks at Starbucks, unfortunately Brian knew that Ray would never let him help her.

Since the day Brian had first walked into the Starbucks and taken notice of her, he had felt something in his heart. He wished he could get to know her better but from a friend, he was aware that she was a big fan of him and his music. And because of that, he hadn't been able to reach out to her.

Wish I could tell her
You’re one in a million
You’re going the distance, babe
You’re gonna work it out some day
Wish I could tell her
You’re one in a million, but
You never even look my way


As Ray walked back over with his drink and muffin he decided to try again.

"So how far along are you now?"

Ray looked down at her round belly.

"Just starting lovely month seven." She said wryly.

"Have you decided if you are going to keep the baby yet?"

She shook her head.

"At times, I want to keep the child myself but then how would I be able to work and provide for it right? It would need me to be there constantly to watch after it and I can not afford not to work."

"Well, my offer still stands." He said trying to get her to look into his eyes.

She shook her head again.

"No, that wouldn't be right."

"It would be good for both of you." He pressed.

"Brian it's just not gonna happen. I'm stuck working here, I'm single and pregnant and if I have this baby I just can't afford it. I'm going to have to put it up for adoption."

Her eyes shone with some tears.

If I could be the light to guide you through the darkness, baby
If I could be the one to change the ending to your story
I’d be one in a million, yeah
I’d be one in a million

Someday I will tell her


Brian picked up his coffee after he paid for it.

"Listen Ray, I know things seem so hard right now, and you are so confused, but you aren't alone. It's gonna be ok."

"You have no idea what's going to happen." She told him wipping down the counter. The business had slowed a bit for the time being.

Brian wanted to desperately tell her his real feelings on how he felt.  Instead he just slipped some money into her tip jar like always. He saw her pause briefly but neither of them spoke about it.

"See you tomorrow." Brian told her and turned heading out.

Ray looked at the money he had left her. A $100 bill. It was just like always.

"Tomorrow's another day." She muttered and went back to her duties as Brian climbed into his car as each day and drove to the studio to meet the other guys.

Before he walked into the studio, he handed the coffee and muffin to the homeless girl that was always outside.

"Thank you Brian, you're one in a million." The girl smiled.

"No problem Anita."

As Brian walked in, Anita put a hand over her slightly round belly. She had been raped a few months before and was pregnant and because of Brian, she always had a little bit of food to feed the baby.

"Too made he never even looks my way. I could use a man like him." She muttered watching his back as he walked in.

Turning away, she walked away with her breakfast.

It was the start of another day.

You’re gonna work it out some day
You’re one in a million
You’re going the distance, babe
You’re gonna work it out some day
Wish I could tell her
You’re one in a million, but
You never even look my way
You’re going the distance, babe
You’re gonna work it out some day
Wish I could tell her
You’re one in a million, but
You never even look my way

End Notes:
please let me know what you think
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8668