Can I Keep You? by DaniGiggles
Summary: There are times in every person's life when things start to go wrong and a feeling of hopelessness takes over. Brian has reached that point in his life. He doesn't know what to do, doesn't know who to talk to, but then someone comes into his life: a girl named Nicole. She helps him get through what he thought he could never get through. She helps him learn true love. But there are things she isn't telling him, things she's keeping to herself. There are a lot of things he doesn't know but what he does know is that it's like heaven sent down an angel, his angel.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian
Genres: Drama, Romance, Supernatural
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 47190 Read: 42614 Published: 11/27/07 Updated: 12/08/07
Story Notes:
I wrote this back in 2001 and got a really good response then, so I figured I might as well post it again. Please keep in mind that the clothing styles and music choices are super old, considering the 6 year difference in culture. Enjoy :)

1. Prologue by DaniGiggles

2. Chapter 1 by DaniGiggles

3. Chapter 2 by DaniGiggles

4. Chapter 3 by DaniGiggles

5. Chapter 4 by DaniGiggles

6. Chapter 5 by DaniGiggles

7. Chapter 6 by DaniGiggles

8. Chapter 7 by DaniGiggles

9. Chapter 8 by DaniGiggles

10. Chapter 9 by DaniGiggles

11. Chapter 10 by DaniGiggles

12. Chapter 11 by DaniGiggles

13. Chapter 12 by DaniGiggles

14. Chapter 13 by DaniGiggles

15. Chapter 14 by DaniGiggles

16. Chapter 15 by DaniGiggles

17. Chapter 16 by DaniGiggles

18. Chapter 17 by DaniGiggles

19. Chapter 18 by DaniGiggles

20. Chapter 19 by DaniGiggles

21. Chapter 20 by DaniGiggles

22. Chapter 21 by DaniGiggles

23. Chapter 22 by DaniGiggles

24. Chapter 23 by DaniGiggles

25. Chapter 24 by DaniGiggles

26. Epilogue by DaniGiggles

Prologue by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

My eyes snapped open to the loud ringing of an all too familiar object...the phone. I groaned and slipped further under the covers, trying to escape the annoying sound. It just kept on coming. I poked my head out from under the covers and stared at the phone evilly as it laid innocently on the edge of the in-table next to my bed. Two thoughts crossed my mind, either pick it up and talk to whoever the hell woke me up from my slumber or let it ring and then stop, but then let it ring again. I went with the first option.

I reached my arm across the large white covered bed for the phone. I unfortunately couldn't reach it, meaning I had to move my tired butt over a few inches to get a hold of it. I groaned and slammed my head into the soft white covers beneath me. I wasn't in the mood for moving, getting out of bed, showering, eating, drinking...anything that involved physical activity. I was tired, but who wouldn't be after a certain friend named AJ took you out clubbing last night to get your mind off of some things?

With my head still smashed into the plump covers, I slightly shifted my body toward the phone, my arm still stretched out. The ringing was still going. I was hoping to God that it would stop. It was making my ears ring, don't you just hate when that happens? I sure as hell do.

Finally, the tips of my fingers touched the cool plastic of the phone. I pulled it toward me and wrapped my fingers around it, pulling it over to me afterwards. I raised my head staring at it, tempted to throw it across the room, but instead, I pressed the "Talk" button and raised the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I grumbled, rubbing my left eye and then resting it back onto the covers.

"Hey Frack, what's up?" I heard Nick's voice reach my ears.

"I was sleeping," I said.

"Oh, sorry about that. Why were you sleeping? It's like 1 in the afternoon already," he said a little surprised. I normally wouldn't sleep this late, so I could understand his surprise.

"It's 1?" I asked shifting my eyes to the clock on the table where the phone was sitting before. He was right, it was 1. Well, 1:13 to be more specific.

"Yeah, are you OK? Are you sick or somethin'?" he asked.

"No, I'm fine, I guess I'm just tired, that's all," I shrugged, yawning a little bit.

"Oh, OK, well anyway, I called because Fatima called earlier and said she needs us down at the dance studio at 5," he said.

"What? Why? Don't tell me we're learning new dance routines. I thought we already learned all of them?"

"So did I, but I don't think we're going to be dancing. She said she just needed us there for some help."

"What kind of help?"

"Hell if I know," he replied.

"All right, I'll see you later then," I said.

"Later," he said hanging up the phone. I pressed the "Talk" button once more and then tossed the phone near the top of the bed. I yawned and rested my head on the soft covers again. I stared out the window to the blue, cloudless sky above. It was a nice day and normally I would love to go out and do something, but today things were different. I didn't feel like doing anything.

I sighed deeply and grabbed a hold of the covers in my left fist, flinging the covers off me. I laid there, letting the cool air hit my only boxer worn body.

After a few minutes, I rolled out of bed and walked drowsily to my dresser. I opened the top drawer, grabbed a pair of boxers and then opened another drawer, pulling out a pair of khaki shorts. I then went over to my walk in closet and grabbed a white wife beater and a green over shirt.

I took a shower afterwards and then made my way down my marble staircase to the kitchen behind it. I opened the refrigerator and skimmed the selection of what there was to eat. I grabbed the orange juice and just closed the door. Nothing looked too appealing.

I looked over at the clock and it read 3:45.

"Damn Rok, you sure took your time," I said to myself. I took a few gulps out of the carton and put it back in the refrigerator. I then grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl in the middle of the island and grabbed my car keys that were laying at the end of the counter. I made my way to the front double doors and snatched my wildcats hat and glasses before I stepped out into the sun. I put my cap on backwards and slid my glasses on my head.

I decided to go over to Nick's and we could both just go over to the dance studio together. This way, I could at least do something to keep me busy for a little bit and then I'd make sure Nick wasn't late like he usually is.

I walked to the driveway looking at my assortment of cars, well, 4 cars to be exact. That's a lot for a guy that lives alone if you think about it. Well, I didn't live alone about 2 months ago. I was living with my girlfriend Leighanne, but one day, we got in this big fight and she left me. I was devastated. I still am.

I chose to drive my jeep. I didn't feel like driving any of the others. The jeep is my oldest car, but it's also my favorite.

I slid into the drivers seat and closed the door after me. I put the key in the ignition and started up the engine. The radio turned on and Lifehouse "Hanging By A Moment" blared through the speakers. I turned the volume down and shifted into drive. I then pulled out of my driveway and onto the street below, driving to Nick's house who lived only about 15 minutes away.

"Time to put on your act Bri," I said softly to myself. I frowned deeply, wanting to cry, as I drove down the street to the only person's house that would understand what I was going through. The sad thing is, he has no idea what I'm going through, but then again, that could be my fault. He doesn't know. No one knows, except me.
Chapter 1 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

"Hey Rok, how's it goin'?" Nick greeted from the living room. I walked over and plopped down next to him on the soft black couch where he was playing a video game.

"I'm doin' alright. How about you?" I asked looking over at him. I could tell he was having a good day. He's one of those people where you can just tell straight off what kind of mood they're in by looking at their facial expressions.

"I'm great! I went to the mall earlier to get the new Mario game and I'm already beating half of it. I'm telling you Rok, they need to hire me to come up with harder games. These are just too damn easy," he said smiling widely. I laughed lightly and said, "Glad to know you're doin' alright."

"Yeah, so what time is it? I've been sitting here forever, I can barely feel my ass," he said, never taking his eyes off the TV. I looked over at the VCR clock and then said, "It's 4, what time do we have to be at the dance studio?"

"5, but 'Tima said that she would like it better if we were a tad bit earlier. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. If anyone would know, it's Kevin 'cause she called him first."

"Do you think it's something important?" I asked. He shrugged and goes, "Maybe, maybe not. Who knows with Fatima. You know how she is Rok. She could sound serious and what it really turns out to be is really stupid."

"Did Kev sound like she was serious?"

He shrugged again and paused the game.

"I dunno, but I don't think we're in trouble with anything. She just wants help with something," he said as he got up off the couch and walked over to the TV. He turned it off and then turned around smiling.

"Feelin' lucky Bri?" he grinned, rubbing his hands together mischievously. I scrunched up my nose and said, "That didn't sound right man."

"NO! Not like that! I mean basketball you nitwit," he laughed as he bent over and picked up the round ball and spun it on his finger.

"I know that dumbass, and yeah, lets go play a few rounds. I'm just warning you that you aren't going to win. You never do," I said as I got up and snatched the ball from his hand.

"Hah! We'll see about that 'Mr-I'm-the-best-basketball-player-around.' I just hope you know I've been practicing," he said proudly.

"With who? Your mini you?" I teased.

"Shut up man!"

"Well, then who's been helping you become so good?"

He just shrugged.

"Don't shrug, tell me," I pushed. He just shrugged again.

"Fine be that way, I'm just going to assume it was your stuffed teddy bear until you tell me," I grinned walking past him.

"You suck," he mumbled. I just elbowed him in the stomach and kept on walking to the backyard where his basketball court stood.

An Hour Later

I closed the door behind me as I got out of Nick's BMW. We just got to the dance studio and we were about to head inside. I kind of took Nick out of his happy mood by beating him 68-54. It wasn't that bad of a lose, but to be honest, he has been getting better. A whole lot better. I'm finally getting some competition.

"Don't be such a sore loser," I said to Nick who was walking ahead of me, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"How can I not? I've been practicing, but it's like each time you come over to play, you get better and better. Do you ever practice?" he asked slowing down for me to catch up to him. I fell into step with him and looked over and just shook my head.

"That's just messed!" he exclaimed. I laughed at how upset he was that he lost and patted his back, "Don't worry about it. You are getting better."

"Thanks," he said. I just smiled at him.

We entered the studio and went over to the side where Howie, Kevin, and AJ were sitting quietly. Howie was playing with his keys, Kevin was fiddling around with his cellphone, and AJ was leaning back in a chair with his hat pulled low. It looked like he was trying to sleep. I don't really blame him.

"WASSUP!" Nick yelled running up to AJ's chair and kicking one of the legs. The result being AJ flying back out of his chair, landing on his back. We all burst out laughing. AJ's hat had flown off and he looked dazed, but then realized what happened and rushed to his feet.

"I'm gonna kick your ass little dude!" he yelled sprinting after Nick. Nick ran in circles a couple times around the dance studio before AJ jumped on his back and tackled him to the floor. I just shook my head laughing and looked over at the other guys.

"Hey," I said sitting next to Kevin.

"Hey Cuz, how you doin'?" Kevin asked as he slipped his cellphone in his back pocket. I just shrugged and said, "I'm doing pretty good. I kind of wish I was still home sleeping. I had a rough night."

"So did AJ. I called him up this morning to tell him about Fatima and all, and once I spit it out, he grunted and hung up the phone. I knew he wasn't gonna get out of bed so I took the liberty of going over to his house and throwing him in the shower. That woke him up," he smiled.

"You did that?" I laughed.

"Yeah, he wasn't too happy about it. What did you guys do anyway?" he asked.

"He took me out clubbing and I guess we stayed out a little too late," I said leaning back in the chair. Kevin just nodded.

"Yo Kev, where's 'Tima? She wanted us to be here earlier and she's not even here yet. That's pretty jacked up if you ask me. The first time in how long we're all here on time and she isn't? I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna give her hell," AJ said coming up to us a little out of breath. Nick walked up behind him, his hair all ruffled up. I looked over at Kevin and saw him shrug.

"She'll be here soon I guess."

"Why does she want us here?" Howie asked.

"She wouldn't tell me."

"She wouldn't tell you? She always tells us no matter how good or bad it is," Howie said.

"Well, she didn't this time."

"Hey boys!" we heard an all too familiar voice exclaim. We all turned our heads and saw Fatima walking over to us in a pair of Adidas tear aways and a black tank top.

"Hey," we all said, getting up out of our chairs.

"Ready to learn some new moves?" she smiled as she came up to us. Nick groaned loudly, as did most of us, but Nick stood out the most. Fatima laughed a little bit and just said, "I'm just teasing you. I wouldn't put all that work on you on your break. Chill."

"Then what do you want us here for?" Kevin asked.

"I need a little favor from you guys," she began.

"What kind of favor? Is it a BIG favor? Or a small favor? Or a kind of in between BIG and small favor? Or..."

"Shut up Nick!" AJ yelled punching his arm lightly.

"Ow," Nick mumbled rubbing his arm. AJ just rolled his eyes.

"It's not that big of a favor but it's still a favor."

"Well, shoot, you know we'd be glad to help ya out Fatima," Howie said. We all just nodded.

"OK, you guys remember Madeline? She was on the very first tour. She's like my best friend and all that," she asked looking at all of us. Our faces all went blank.

"Come on guys! You gotta remember Madeline! She's the short blonde girl that always brought you guys donuts in the morning..."

"Oh yeah!!! I remember her!" Nick exclaimed, smiling widely. We all just looked at him but then just nodded our heads telling her that we knew who she was.

"Well, I don't think you knew this but she has a little sister Nicole..."

"Do you need us to baby-sit her or something?" I asked.

"Well, yes and no. She's old enough to take care of herself, but she's really new here and she needs some help getting settled down and all that. I would do it myself, but I'm real busy trying to pick some dancers for the next tour and since you guys are free, and probably have nothing else better to do, I was wondering if you could show her around?" she asked looking at us hopeful.

"Sure why not, how long is she going to be staying here?" Kevin asked.

"About a year. She's gonna live with Madeline down at this apartment complex. Madeline would show her around too but she has school and work so she's real busy. Are you sure this is OK with you guys?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's completely fine," I smiled at her. I was looking forward to it. I loved watching kids. I wanted some of my own someday so I guess this could give me some practice.

"Alrighty, thanks so much you guys! This means a lot!" she smiled happily.

"No prob. Is...um..." AJ began.

"Nicole," Fatima finished for him.

"Yeah! Is Nicole here? I wouldn't mind meeting her..." he said.

"Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot about that," she smiled. She then turned around and raised her hands up to her mouth, afterwards yelling, "Nikki! Girl come in here and meet the guys!"
Chapter 2 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

"Holy shit," I heard AJ's voice whisper beside me. I didn't look at him, I didn't look at anybody...except her. I could barely move, I could barely breathe. It was like my body became paralyzed. Seeing her made my whole body grow weak.

"She's mine," Nick breathed walking in front of me. I ignored him and just stared as the beautiful figure walked towards us. She wasn't what I expected, she definitely wasn't a kid that's for sure. She was grown, full grown.

"No, she's mine," AJ said walking in front of me and pushing Nick lightly. I just looked past them and into the face that had me hypnotized. Her long blonde hair framed her face perfectly. The curls that she had bounced with each step she took. Her full lips were curled into a smile that could light up the whole room, and in my eyes, it was. Her blue eyes sparkled with happiness and her skin, slightly tan, seemed so smooth and tempted you so much to caress.

"Boys, this is Nicole, Madeline's sister," Fatima smiled as she put a hand on Nicole's back as she finally came up to Fatima. Nicole smiled at us all and said, "You guys can call me Nikki. Everyone does."

Her voice was heavenly. I wouldn't be surprised if she could sing, and sing well. It was like an angel was speaking the words. It was like an angel was standing in front of me. I have never seen someone as beautiful as this before in my life.

"It's nice to meet you Nikki. I'm Kevin," Kevin grinned, extending his hand for her to shake. She shook it with a pleased smile on her face. Howie came up and extended his hand also, "I'm Howie but these guys call me D."

"It's nice to meet you," her soft voice filled my ears. I still did not budge from where I was standing.

"Hello beautiful, I'm AJ, but you can call me anything you want," AJ flirted as he pushed past Howie and in front of Nicole. Nicole laughed lightly and shook his hand saying, "Nice to meet you Dopey."

"Dopey?" AJ asked confused. She smiled and teased, "You said I could call you anything I wanted."

"She's a bright one! A sarcastic one at that," AJ laughed looking over at Fatima who in turn smiled lightly.

"Hey, I'm Nick," Nick smiled, waving. I don't really blame him for not going up and touching her hand. I thought that my touch would be too rough for someone with skin so delicate.

"Hi," she waved back. I knew that it was my turn to introduce myself but I still couldn't move.

"Bri? Aren't you going to say hi?" Fatima asked. I tore my eyes away from Nicole's face for the first time and looked over at Fatima, who was looking at me expectantly.

"Oh, yeah, sorry," I smiled slightly. I stepped forward a couple steps and looked up into her face again. This time, finding her beautiful blue eyes staring back into mine.

"Hi, I'm Brian, it's really nice to meet you Nicole," I said as I extended my hand. She smiled at me and slid her hand into mine. Her skin felt soft and smooth beneath my touch. I shook her hand slowly and then brought my hand back to my side.

"Well, now that we're all acquainted, why don't you guys go do something? I'm sure you'd like to get to know Nikki," Fatima said putting her hand on Nicole's shoulder.

"Yeah sure," Kevin said nodding.

"Great, I'll see you guys later. Take good care of her," she smiled as she turned on her heal and started to walk away. She stopped abruptly and turned around, "Oh and girl have some fun!"

Nicole laughed as Fatima winked at her and then walked out the door. As Nicole turned to face us again and as Kevin asked where she wanted to go, I pried my eyes away from her face and traveled downward to what she was wearing. She had a slim figure but one that fit her perfectly. She was wearing a light green sun dress, her chest filling it out perfectly. She also wore white flip flops and around her neck was a silver necklace with a cross dangling from it.

"Anywhere is fine," she smiled at Kevin.

"How about we go back to my house and have some dinner? I can cook us some lasagna or something. Does that sound good?" Kevin asked.

"Yup, that sounds great," she smiled.

"Alrighty, lets go," Kevin said as he picked up his jacket from his chair and walked across the dance studio to the exit. The rest of the guys began to follow as I went to go pick up my sunglasses from one of the chairs. I picked them up and turned around finding Nicole still standing there, looking at me with interest. I was immediately taken aback and became shy.

"Hey," I said walking slowly up to her.

"Hi," she smiled at me. "Are you the shy one out of the group?"

I looked over at her smiling face and couldn't help but smile myself, "No, not normally. I guess I'm just a little tired. Sorry I was kinda being rude before."

"Rude? Hardly. I get it a lot. I don't mean to make people feel uncomfortable," she said raising her hand and playing with the cross on her neck.

"Uncomfortable? No, you didn't make me feel uncomfortable," I said quickly, looking over at her. She glanced at me and smiled, "That's a relief. So why are you so tired? Didn't get that much sleep?"

"Nah, AJ and I went out last night and we didn't get home until late," I explained. She just nodded and looked ahead.

"So where are you from?" I asked as we came upon the exit door. I opened it and stepped aside for Nicole to walk past me. She walked past and then stopped and waited for me until I came up next to her.

"Up north," she said. Up north? I didn't expect that answer. I was hoping for a city or state, maybe even a country.

"Where up north?" I asked. She smiled at me and teased, "Somewhere up north."

I couldn't help but smile. I was beginning to loosen up. She was real easy to talk to. I thought I would have some trouble talking to her, but I was wrong.

"Where are you from?" she asked.

"Lexington, Kentucky," I said stepping off the sidewalk and onto the asphalt. I looked ahead and found Kevin, AJ, Nick, and Howie already over by the cars chatting.

"I should have known," she grinned. I looked over at her and asked, "Why's that?"

"Cause of that cute little accent you have," she teased.

"Cute? Hah!" I laughed lightly, looking down.

"It is! I love people with accents! I like hearing them," she smiled at me. I looked up and into her eyes. It's like her eyes were even smiling at me.

"Good to hear 'cause you're going to be hearing it a lot."

"Yup, sure am," she said. We walked up the guys who were now getting into their cars.

"Hey Nikki, do you wanna ride with me?" Howie asked as he unlocked his car door.

"Sure!" she said. She looked at me once more before walking over to Howie's car. I couldn't help but want her to ride with Nick and I, but then again, Nick would probably say something stupid to embarrass us both so this was probably for the best.

We all got into our cars and headed down the street, music blaring through the speakers.

"Damn man, that girl is hot!" Nick exclaimed as he turned a corner. I looked out the window and then over at him and said, "She isn't hot. She's gorgeous."

"Yeah, but I'm still gonna call her hot. It's easier to say!"

"Well, so is cute and fine but you aren't using those," I pointed out.

"Ah yes, FINE! I forgot about that. OK, she was upgraded from hot to fine," he grinned widely. I just laughed and shook my head.

"She seems real nice," I said.

"Extra bonus! You're pretty lucky Bri," he said as he came to a stop at a stop sign and then started up again. I looked over at him confused and said, "Huh?"

"I said you're pretty lucky."

"Lucky? Why would I be lucky?" I asked. I couldn't think of one thing that could make me lucky. If anything, I was the opposite of having luck. I've been going through some pretty crappy stuff lately to even be considered lucky.

"Didn't you see the way she was looking at you?" he asked looking at me. I just stared at him. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"You didn't notice? You didn't see how she kept smiling and all that?" he asked. I shook my head and said, "No, but come on Nick, she was smiling at all of us."

"Yeah, but she gave you a different kind of smile," she said. I looked at him weirdly and said, "A different kind of smile?"

"Yes! She gave me this regular smile like all the other guys, but she gave you this other smile," he nodded.

"How many smiles can a girl have?" I joked.

"I'm serious! Plus, she even waited for you! You didn't see her walking out with us did you? No. She walked out with you. She was talking to YOU," he said.

"Your point? She's going to be talking to all of us," I shrugged. Nick sighed and shook her his, "You really are tired man."

"And you just now noticed that?" I asked.

"Shut up!" he said. I just laughed and looked out the window once more. I didn't really understand what Nick was getting at, but on some level I did know. He was hinting that she possibly could be interested in me. It's a nice thought, but I just don't see how someone that beautiful could at all be interested in someone like me. I just didn't really find it possible.
Chapter 3 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

"This is hella good," AJ said as he took another bite of his lasagna. I just nodded with my mouth full.

"Thanks," Kevin said.

"You so did not cook this," Nick said piling some more onto his plate.

"Yes I did!" Kevin said looking over at Nick. Nick just shrugged and licked his lips.

"Who taught you how to cook it then? You didn't learn it over night," AJ said tearing off a piece of bread.

"My Mom," Kevin shrugged. Nick choked on his food and laughed. We all just looked at him.

"What?" he asked looking at all of us. "I thought it was funny."

"Yeah, well at least he learned something from a real person and not some teddy bear," I grinned at him. He just glared at me and snapped, "Shut up!"

"Say what? Damn Nick! Are you THAT desperate?" AJ exclaimed looking over at Nick wide eyed. Nick looked over at him confused and burst out, "Huh? Eww! Not like that man! That's just sick!"

AJ just looked at him weirdly and went back to eating his food. I couldn't help but laugh.

"You guys are some characters all right," Nicole laughed from across the table where she sat in between Howie and Kevin.

"Aren't we though? We're just good like that," Nick said happily. I rolled my eyes and said to Nicole, "You get used to us after a while."

She nodded and took a bite of her salad.

"Do you like it Nikki?" Kevin asked looking over at her. She glanced at him and set down her fork, "Yes, very much so. It's really good."

Kevin smiled and looked at all of us proudly, "Thank you."

"Anyways! Enough about the food, I wanna ask some questions," AJ said setting down his drink and rubbing his hands together. Howie groaned and said, "Can't you give it a rest for once? Leave her at peace."

"Oh no. it's fine! You can ask anything you want," Nicole smiled at Howie and then at AJ. "Go ahead."

"How old are you?" AJ asked leaning forward. I couldn't help but chuckle at his seriousness. No one could. Nicole even laughed.

"What?" he asked looking at all of us.

"Are you worried about jail bate Bone?" I asked. He shot me a look and quickly said, "I just asked how old she was! Nothing wrong with that. It's harmless."

"With you, nothing is harmless," Howie said shaking his head. AJ ignored him and just looked at Nicole. She laughed lightly and said, "I'm 22."

AJ smiled and leaned back in his chair.

"Are you familiar with our music?" Kevin asked pushing his plate forward and folding his arms on the table.

"Of course! I don't live under a rock," she laughed.

"Do you like it?" Howie asked.

"Yeah I do, I'm a real big fan of you guys," she said. We all nodded and smiled.

I rolled my eyes as the phone then started to ring. Right about now I would gladly kill whoever invented the damn thing.

"I'll get it," Kevin said getting up. A few moments later he came in and sat back down.

"Who was it?" AJ asked.

"Kristin, she's having some womanly crisis and 'absolutely needs me there this instant'," he said, mimicking his girlfriend. He then turned to Nicole, "I'm real sorry about this."

Nicole gave him a smile and said, "Don't be sorry. Go fulfull your obligations."

"Thanks, it was real nice meeting you girlie," Kevin said kissing her on the top of her head.

"You too," she said. Kevin got up and looked at all of us.

"Why are you looking at us like that?" Nick asked taking another bite of his bread.

"Go," Kevin said simply.

"Go? Go where? Please be more specific," Nick said.

"Go, now, out!" Kevin said pointing to the door.

"Oh! Sorry Kev," I said as I quickly got up.

"Sometimes ya just gotta be straight forward with these guys," Kevin said to Nicole as she got up out of her chair. She just giggled.

"Yeah, we love you too!" AJ exclaimed as he walked out the door. We all followed and started walking to our cars. Nicole began to head over to Howie's car as I went over to Nick's. I looked after her and on a whim, decided to be bold and take a chance.

"Hey Nicole, wait!" I said jogging up to her. She turned around and looked at me.

"Would you like to go get some ice cream?" I asked stuffing my hands in my pockets. I was praying she wasn't going to turn me down. She smiled and said, "I'd love to."

"Great," I grinned. She turned to Howie and told him she was coming with Nick and I and then walked over to Nick's BMW with me.

"We're gonna go get ice cream?" Nick asked getting in the drivers seat.

"We are, you aren't," I said, grabbing Nick's car keys and opening the door. Nick stuck his tongue out at me and turned around, rushing to catch up with AJ before he drove off. Nicole sat next to me and closed the door.

"Crap," I said. She glanced over at me, "What?"

"I've never driven a stick," I said, but then I shrugged and turned on the car, "We'll see how it goes."

She looked at me a little fearfully, "Really?"

I laughed, "I'm just kidding."

She could only smile her beautiful smile back.

15 Minutes Later

"Thank you," I said to the lady behind the counter as she gently handed me my Oreo Blizzard. I then walked out of Dairy Queen and over to Nicole who was waiting for me on the sidewalk.

"Thank you for buying me ice cream Brian," she said, taking a bite of her ice cream. I smiled at her and said, "You're so very welcome. Do you want to walk around a bit or should I just take you back to your apartment?"

"Could we walk? It's really nice out and I wouldn't mind talking some more," she said looking at me.

"Yeah, come on," I motioned for her to follow me. She fell into step next to me and for a few minutes we just walked in silence before she broke it.

"How's life?" she asked looking over at me. I glanced at her and shrugged.

"It's alright I guess, how about you?"

She grew quiet for a moment and then said, "How my life is isn't that important."

I looked at her strangely and said, "Why would you say that? Your life is important."

She smiled at me and said, "I was only joking. Ya gotta loosen up and not take things so seriously."

"Sorry, I didn't think you were kidding," I said quietly.

"You're really nice Brian," she said. I looked up at her and slowed my pace down.

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me. I'm only telling the truth," she shrugged. After she said that, we both grew quiet again. The breeze hit our faces and the leaves rustled above us.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" I blurted out all of a sudden. She looked over at me slightly startled but then her lips formed into a small smile. She just shook her head.

"Why not?" I asked. You would think a girl like this would definitely have a boyfriend.

"Never had the chance to have one," she said simply.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"I'm a busy girl," she shrugged.

"You're saying you have never had a boyfriend?"

"Oh no, not never, but I haven't for a little while," she said.

"Oh, sorry to hear that."

"Nah, it's really OK. Being single isn't all that bad."

"How so?"

"Well, I mean some people really hate being single. I don't see why. Most of the time in relationships you're gonna end up getting hurt no matter what. Why people want to go through that is beyond me. When you're single, you don't have to go through all that, you know?"

I nodded my head and looked down. She did have a point, a very good one. People do get hurt, some more than others.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" she asked. I slowly shook my head.

"Why don't you have one?"

I shrugged and said, "It's not important. It's in the past right? It's better to look at the future."

She just looked at me intently for a moment and then looked ahead nodding her head slowly. We then grew silent again.

"Have you ever been in love?" she asked softly all of a sudden. I was surprised at how she said it. All this time she had this sort of happiness to her when she spoke, but when she spoke those words, something had changed. She seemed a little sadder.

I looked up and turned my head to look at her. We had stopped walking and she was looking across the street. I tore my gaze away from her and over to where she was looking. A couple were walking hand in hand on the sidewalk, laughing happily. I then looked back at her finding her eyes still fixed on them.

"Have you?" she asked again looking me in the eyes. I looked at her eyes for a moment and then slowly nodded, "Once."

"What was her name?" she asked with the same softness, same sadness.

"Leighanne," I said quietly. Nicole looked down at her hands and then back up at me. She didn't say a word, she just walked over to the edge of the sidewalk and sat down. I followed her and set down my ice cream.

"What...what does love feel like?" she asked looking me in the eyes.

"You mean, you've never been in love?" I asked. She frowned and shook her head.

"What does it feel like?" she repeated.

"Well, I believe there's one person out there for everyone, soul mates as people would say. I thought Leighanne was mine, I was so sure of it. When I first saw her, I immediately wanted to get to know her. Just the sight of her made me grow weak. Everything about her made me feel...good. Whenever we were together, it's like the whole world just stopped and it was only me and her. That's what it felt like anyway. I always thought about her. I could never get her out of my head. I was thinking one night when we were in bed, and I thought to myself that I would even die for her..." I said. I then looked over at Nicole who was just staring at me. "Can you believe that? I'd die for her. That's how I knew I was in love with her."

"Do you still love her?" she asked softly. I nodded my head and said, "I'm always going to love her."

"That's really sweet," she smiled at me. I couldn't help but smile myself. Her smile was infectious.

"It's getting a little cold," she said rubbing her arms. I looked up at the sky and found a few black clouds rolling in.

"I'm sorry I don't have a jacket. Do you wanna go home now?" I asked getting to my feet. I took her hand and helped her up.

"Could you? I'm pretty tired," she said.

"Yup, come on," I said. I led her back to the jeep and got in the car. I started up the engine and headed to her and Madeline's apartment.

"I hope you had a nice time," I said as I turned into the parking lot and slowed the car down.

"I had a great time Brian, thanks a bunch," she smiled at me. She then leaned over and pecked me on the cheek. I grinned and couldn't help but become a little shy.

"I'll see you later Bri," she said as she opened the door and began to get out.

"Good night," I said after her. She smiled at me and closed the door lightly, afterwards walking up to her door. I watched after her and couldn't help but feel like I was forgetting something. Before she could open the door, I quickly opened my car door and jumped out.

"Nicole! Wait!" I yelled after her. She spun around and looked at me curiously.

"Do you wanna go to dinner or somethin' tomorrow night?" I asked. Her face broke out into a huge smile and she nodded quickly.

I grinned and said, "See you tomorrow then."

"Yup, bye Brian!" she waved and then opened the door and walked in. I sighed happily and slid back into the car. I started up the car again and put it in gear. As I drove down the street, I reached over and switched the radio on. Monica's "Angel of Mine" was playing. I slightly smiled to myself and hummed the words lightly.

For months I could have sworn I was in a state of depression. I still think I am. One night can't get rid of that feeling of hopelessness, of loneliness. I didn't think anyone could actually bring a genuine smile to my face, but somehow Nicole did. I put on an act in front of the guys, acting as someone who they have lived with for so long. They didn't know that that person was actually almost gone. I was lying to them, to everyone. I really thought the real Brian was completely gone, but tonight something happened that changed that all around. When I was with Nicole, I didn't even know it, but I was me again. Maybe only for a minute, but I was me. I wasn't putting on an act for her in those couple minutes. That had to mean something, I just didn't know what.
Chapter 4 by DaniGiggles
The Next Day

Brian's View


"Hey Tyk, how you doin' boy?" I greeted Tyk as he ran up to me. I just got up and finished getting dressed and I was headed down to the kitchen to eat something. I was in a much better mood than I was yesterday. A certain someone had to have something to do with it.

Tyk licked my face and snuggled up against my chest. I held him as I opened the refrigerator door. I grabbed the orange juice and milk and set it down on the island. I went to one of the cupboards, grabbed some cereal and a bowl and set it down next to the orange juice and milk. After grabbing a spoon, I set Tyk down and collected all the food on the island. I went over and sat down pouring some cereal into the bowl.

"Oh, that's funny," I laughed as I glanced at the People's Magazine that was laying on top of the newspaper. On the cover, a picture of Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears was found with a large red X through it. The headline was: Tragedy Strikes for These Two Love Birds...or Should We Say EX Love Birds?

"They finally broke up," I said to myself, extending my arm to reach the magazine. I grabbed it and pulled it closer looking at the cover.

I took a bite of my Frosted Flakes and poured myself a glass of orange juice. As I brought the glass up to my lips, the loud ring of the door bell went off. I jumped startled and set my glass down.

"COME IN!!!" I yelled. I didn't feel like getting up and walking all the way to the door.

I heard the door open and then close followed by footsteps on the marble floor.

"Hey Bri," AJ greeted as he walked into the kitchen.

"Hey," I said taking a drink of my orange juice. AJ walked over to my refrigerator, grabbed a bucket of ice cream and a spoon, and came over and sat next to me.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Don't you ever ask?" I laughed lightly, shaking my head as he took a bite of the ice cream.

"No," he shrugged.

"What are you doin' here anyway?" I asked taking another bite of my cereal.

He shrugged again and said, "Bored."

I shifted my gaze over to the clock and found that it was 9:46AM. That's pretty damn early for AJ to be awake on our break.

"Are you OK?" I asked. He just looked up at me through his sunglasses and nodded.

"Yeah, why?" he asked stuffing another spoon full of ice cream in his mouth.

"You're never up this early," I said.

"So?"

"So why are you up?"

"Cause I woke up? I don't know Bri. Is it a crime to wake up earlier than I usually do?"

"No, but I'm sure you have a reason."

"So what if I do? I can't come over and visit my buddy Brian?" he smiled. I rolled my eyes and said, "Whatever."

"OK OK, I got up early to call Nikki to see if she wanted to go shopping or something," he said. My head snapped up at the mention of her name.

"What?" he asked taking another bite.

"You invited her to go shopping?" I asked annoyed. He was starting to hit on her, I just knew it.

"Yeah, why not? 'Tima wants us to show her a good time so I figured I'd take her shopping and show her around a little bit."

"And get a date in the middle of it?" I asked a little coldly.

"Damn Bri, do you think that's all I want? She's a nice girl. It may have came off as me being interested in her last night, but that's just me. I always seem like I'm interested in girls. It doesn't mean I am. Besides, I can tell she has a thing for you and you have a thing for her so I'm just stayin' out of it," he said.

"So you aren't interested in her?" I asked a little relieved.

"No, don't get me wrong, she's gorgeous, but I don't think she's really my type. She's all yours," he grinned winking at me.

"Thanks, I think," I said taking one last gulp of my orange juice and then setting it down. I grabbed the orange juice and milk and got up.

"If you called her, why aren't you at the mall?" I asked as I set the drinks in the refrigerator.

"She already had plans. She said we could do it tomorrow or somethin'," he said as he licked his spoon. I picked up my bowl and spoon and set them in the sink. I then walked over and sat down next to him again.

"Other plans? What kind of plans?" I asked.

"Nick beat me to it. She said he's taking her out scuba diving," he explained as he put the lid back on the ice cream.

"Oh," I said a little upset.

"Damn Brian, you must really like this chick," he said as he got out of his seat, walking over to the freezer and putting the ice cream back in.

"No, I mean yes, I mean...I don't know," I sighed.

"You do, I can tell. You're so defensive about us taking her out. You shouldn't worry about her liking us you know. She seems to like you," he said jumping up onto the island.

"She does?" I asked looking over at him.

"Yup, I have a sixth sense about these things. I dunno, she just seemed more interested in you more than anybody else," he shrugged.

"Do you think Nick likes her?"

"He said he thinks she's real cute but I don't think he really likes her like that."

"Well, that's good then isn't it?"

"Yeah, for you," he said swinging his legs. Then he asked suddenly, "How are you holding up?"

I looked up at his sudden tone of seriousness in his voice. He looked at me with much concern.

"What do you mean?" I asked looking at his serious expression.

"Ya know, with Leighanne leaving you and all. Are you doing OK?"

I lowered my head and shrugged, "I'm doing better I guess."

"You're lying," he said. I looked up at him and said, "Huh? No, I'm not."

"Yeah you are. Dude Brian, you're forgetting I've known you for years. We're practically brothers. I know when you're lying or not, I know when you're OK or not, and you are lying and you are not OK."

I sighed and rubbed my hand through my hair, "I just really miss her Bone."

AJ hopped off the island and came over and sat next to me.

"What exactly happened?" he asked. I looked up at him and found that his glasses were now in his hands, and his eyes were boring into me, waiting for me to explain.

"It's not important," I said as I waved my hand, dismissing the whole idea of telling him.

"Yeah it is. It can't be that bad."

"Not that bad? Bone, she LEFT me," I said, my voice raising a little bit. He raised his hands and said, "Chill dude. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. The bone daddy is just tryin' to help a friend out."

My voice softened and said, "Sorry Bone, I didn't mean to snap at you like that."

"That's alright, but you know Rok, if you need me I'm here and I will listen. Don't forget about us. We're always here for you," he said sincerely as he put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it lightly.

"I know...I know."

"Could I give you a little advice?" he asked, taking his hand off my shoulder. I nodded and said, "Go ahead. I might not take it but sure."

"You shouldn't keep your feelings bottled up inside. It can cause a lot of damage. You're just hurting yourself more by doing so."

"Who says I'm bottling up my feelings?" I asked defensively.

"I can tell Rok. You're doing a pretty damn good job at covering everything up but you aren't doing THAT good of a job. I'm the only one that has really noticed."

"Noticed what? AJ what are you talking about?"

"Don't act stupid Brian. I'm smarter than you might think I am. When it comes to my friends, my brothers, I know a lot of things and what I do know is that you aren't acting yourself. I mean, you're trying to in front of all of us but I can see through all that. There's something wrong, maybe more than one thing that we don't know about, and you're keeping it to yourself."

I looked at him dumbfounded. I didn't know what to say. I had no idea that he knew.

"Don't look at me like that," he said.

"I still don't know what you're talking about," I said, quickly shifting my eyes away from his and looking down at my hands. He sighed deeply and said, "Fine Brian. I'll just leave it at that. I just wanted to help."

"Well, I don't need help. I'm completely fine. Thanks for the offer though," I said. He stared at me for a few moments and then sighed again.

"I better get goin' then," he said as he slipped his sunglasses on, starting to get up out of his chair. I got up also and walked him to the door.

"What are you doin' today?" I asked before he opened the door. He shrugged and said, "I'll probably call up D and go see a movie or somethin'. Wanna come?"

"Nah, I gotta go do some errands for tonight," I said. He turned around after he got outside and asked, "Errands for tonight?"

"Yeah," I smiled.

"What type of errands? What are you doing tonight?" he asked curiously.

"You know how last night I took Nicole out to get some ice cream?"

"Yeah."

"Well, when I brought her back to her apartment, I dunno what came over me, but I asked her to dinner."

AJ grinned widely and exclaimed, "All right Brian! Your love and sex life are back in business! Call me if you need any advice."

I couldn't help but laugh at his happy expression.

"Sure thing Bone," I said.

"Aight, later Rok, and have fun tonight," he waved as he walked down to his car. I waved after him and closed the door. I walked slowly upstairs to my room thinking deeply. It bugged me to no end that AJ knew that I was putting on an act in front of all of them. I just don't see how he could have known. I thought I was doing a good job at covering it up.

"Just forget it B," I said to myself as I walked over to my dresser and picked up my wildcats hat. I decided to just not think about it. For now, I had to figure out what I was going to do for tonight. I wanted to make it special. AJ said that I really liked Nicole but I still wasn't that sure. It's true, I do like her, but I still have a long ways to go if I chose to fall in love with her. Why I would want to fall in love at this point in my life is beyond me but Nicole wasn't like any other girl. She was a girl that I could fall in love with and fall hard.
Chapter 5 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

"No...no...no..." I mumbled as I walked down the aisle of flowers.

"Hello, how are you today?" I rather short man said cheerfully, moving his arms behind his back.

"Oh, Hi, I'm doing alright," I said taking my eyes off of a bouquet of yellow lily's and looking over into his too cheerful face. I knew his cheerfulness was all an act, part of the store "policy." Always be courteous to customers. The customers always right...blah blah blah.

"Could I be of any assistance?" he asked. I shifted my gaze from his smiling face to the flowers around me.

"Well, I...um..."

"I'm guessing you might?"

I shifted my gaze back to him and nodded my head, "Yes, I think I do."

"Date?" he said suddenly right after my statement,

"Excuse me?" I asked a little confused. He chuckled and brought one arm from around his back while saying, "I was asking if you need some flowers for a date."

"Oh! Yes, yes I do," I said quickly. He smiled again and then said, "I can help you. Come right this way."

He motioned for me to follow him down the isle. I looked one last time around me and then followed right behind him. We came to a large table decorated with several vases of flowers. He turned around and looked at me with the same stupid smile on his face.

"These are our most popular selections for a first date or an anniversary of some sort," he explained nodding toward the flowers on the table. I looked them over and bit my lip. They were beautiful, very beautiful, but something just wasn't right.

"Is this a special girl?" I heard him ask. I looked over at him and didn't say anything for a moment. Of course she was special, if she wasn't, I wouldn't be trying so hard to find the perfect set of flowers for her. I wouldn't try so hard to make myself look good. I wouldn't try so hard to not act stupid.

I slowly nodded my head and said, "Yes, very special."

His stupid smile formed on his face again and he said, "I think I have just the thing for you."

I watched as he walked around the table to the other side. I stood there for a moment and then realized I was supposed to follow. I made my way around the table and he pointed out a very large vase of white roses. I was guessing that there had to be at least 3, maybe 4, dozen roses in it.

"Wow," I said.

"That's what most people say when they see it. It's not our most expensive piece but it's up there. The ladies seem to really enjoy it," he said. I looked over at his smiling face and couldn't help but want to smack it off of him.

"Does it have to come with the vase?" I asked pointing to the green marble vase. His smile faltered a little and he just shook his head saying, "No, we can separate the flowers into 3 dozens if you want."

"Hmm..." I mumbled to myself looking them over. Nicole was a special girl, a very special girl, and she deserves the best in everything. She deserves something special but this...this was just too much. She didn't seem like the type of girl that expected much, that expected something expensive. She seemed like the type of girl that expected something that came from the heart.

I shook my head finally and said, "No."

"No sir?" the man asked, his smile fading away.

"It's too much," I said looking into his face. He looked over at the flowers and said, "But...the ladies really love it and you said yourself that this girl is special. Special girls deserve special gifts."

I shook my head once more and said, "No, sorry, but it's just too much."

"Money?"

"No, just the whole thing."

"Would you like something smaller?" he asked slowly.

"Much smaller, but I don't need you to show me anything else. I know what I want," I said. His smile returned and he said, "What have you decided on?"

"How much is one?"

"One?" he asked puzzled.

"Yes, one. One rose," I said slowly so I wouldn't have to repeat myself.

"One rose?"

"Yes, one single rose," I said gritting my teeth. I was becoming frustrated and very irritated by the fake smile plastered on his face.

He stared at me for a moment and then said, "$1.50."

"I'll take that one," I said pointing to one of the white flowers in the vase. He stared at me with his mouth slightly open with a look of complete disappointment on his face. It was my turn to smile. I put the cheesiest smile that I could manage on my face and said, "Yup, that one right there. Do you need me to point it out to you again? I'd be happy to..."

"No," he said quickly, shifting his eyes to the flowers and gently taking one out. He looked up at me quickly and mumbled, "This way please."

I followed him all the while smiling that stupid smile he was smiling before.

That Night

Nicole's View


"Maddy, I'm nervous," I said as I paced back and forth, wringing my hands in the living room. Madeline sat on the couch cross legged, reading a magazine as she stuffed popcorn in her mouth from a bowl that was sitting in her lap.

"Why?" she asked never taking her eyes off of the article she was reading. I stopped and looked at her frustrated. I stepped forward and snatched the magazine from her grasp.

"Hey!" she exclaimed looking up at me as I tossed it behind me.

"Help me," I pleaded. She looked at me for a moment, chewing the last of the popcorn in her mouth and licking her lips.

"Nikki, why are you nervous?" she asked. I shrugged and looked at the ground, "I don't know."

"You wanted this to happen. It was part of the job," she said again. I sighed and walked over, plopping down on the couch.

"I know," I said quietly.

"Don't worry about it. You have all the time in the world to finish it," she said patting my leg lightly. She grabbed the bowl of popcorn in her lap and set it on the ground in front of her.

"I don't have all the time in the world and you know it. I have a time limit. No one has all the time in the world," I said looking at her as she sat upward after setting the popcorn down. She looked over at me and said, "OK, maybe you don't have all the time in the world but you have enough time to get it done."

"But what if I don't?" I asked.

"Then you're screwed and you go to hell," she said seriously. I got wide eyed and my mouth dropped open in horror. She burst out laughing as I did so.

"What's so funny? That's so not funny!" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. Girl, you know I'm kidding!" she laughed pushing my shoulder lightly.

"When it comes to this, I don't know if you're kidding or not," I mumbled.

"Nikki, don't worry about it OK? You just started. You have a lot of time. Don't sweat it," she said softly. I looked up at her and she smiled at me lightly.

"Do you think I'll get it done?" I asked. She searched my face for a second and then nodded, "Yes, I think you will."

I smiled and wrapped her in a hug, "Thanks babe."

"No problem, now remember to have fun."

"I haven't done this in a while," I said biting my lip. She patted my leg and said, "You'll do completely fine."

"I hope so," I sighed.

"Nikki, come on. Stop being so nervous. He's gonna love you! You look so pretty with your hair up like that and with that dress! Do not worry about a thing," she said. I looked at her smiling face and couldn't help but smile myself.

"Thanks Maddy," I said getting to my feet and straightening out my dress.

"He's at the door," she said simply as she picked up the popcorn bowl again. Right after she said it, the door bell went off. She just smiled cheesely up at me.

"I love how you do that," I giggled.

"That's why I do it my dear," she smiled. "Now go answer the door!"

"OK, OK, remember, you're my sister," I reminded her. She looked up at me like I was stupid and said, "I know! I aint stupid."

I smiled at her and walked over to the door. I looked at the small mirror that was on the wall adjacent from the door, and checked my hair and make up. I straightened my dress and took a deep breath, opening the door afterwards.

"Hey Nicole," I saw a handsome Brian standing in front of me with his arms behind his back. He was wearing a pair of khaki pants and a blue sweater. He had a silver cross necklace around his neck and the smile that was on his face stood out the most in him as he stood there. To sum it up, he looked good. Real good.

Brian's View

"Hi Bri," Nicole smiled her beautiful smile at me. I licked my lips and slowly brought my arms from behind my back revealing the single white rose that I had bought. Her eyes brightened with happiness when she saw it.

"This is for you," I said handing it over to her. She took it and brought it up to her face, shutting her eyes when smelling it.

"Thank you so much," she gushed. "This is so thoughtful and sweet."

"I had a feeling you'd like it," I grinned.

"Like it? I love it!" she exclaimed happily. I couldn't help but lightly laugh at her happiness. The girl standing in front of me seemed like the kind of person that could never grow upset or become depressed. She seemed like she was always happy.

"Madeline, come here a sec," Nicole called to her sister as she turned around. I leaned forward a little bit and saw a blonde haired girl turn her head to look at us. She smiled when her eyes met mine. She quickly got up and rushed over.

"Hi! I'm Madeline! Remember me?" she asked pushing past Nicole. She extended her hand and I took it.

"Yup, I remember you now," I laughed.

"How?"

"You're hyperness," I said.

"Hyperness? Am I hyper? I didn't think I was hyper!" she said to Nicole. Nicole just laughed. "You're so clueless sometimes Maddy."

Madeline just stared at her. Nicole rolled her eyes and chuckled, "Go back inside. Brian and I are going to go now."

"Fine, be that way. I'll see you guys later. Have fun!" she said as she walked slowly back into the apartment.

"And oh, bring her back in one piece please," she said as she turned around. Nicole pushed her lightly and I just laughed, "Sure thing."

"Bye!" I heard her exclaim before Nicole shut the door.

"Sorry," she apologized.

"About what?" I asked as we began to walk down the sidewalk and to my car.

"Her, she can be a little energetic at times," she replied, fiddling with the rose that was still in her hands.

"Don't worry about it. It's nothing I can't handle. Besides, I have to live with 4 other guys just like her," I smiled. She laughed lightly and looked up at me. Gosh, she sure looked beautiful.

"You look beautiful tonight," I commented. She bit her lip and looked down. I could tell she was turning a light red.

"It's a compliment," I grinned.

"I know. I'm sorry, I don't take compliments too well as you can see," she said as she looked up into my eyes.

"I think it's cute."

She just smiled at me.

"But, seriously, you look great," I said. I was really blown away at how she looked. I didn't notice before at what she was wearing cause I was fixated on her face, specifically her eyes, to notice.

She looked down and smiled, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I glanced at what she was wearing when she wasn't looking. She was wearing a purple spaghetti strap dress that showed off her slightly tan skin and curves perfectly. It had a black see threw material over what looked like a silk fabric under it. Embroidered in the see threw material were glitter and small sparkling gems. She wore black strapped high heels. She was wearing the same silver crossed necklace that she was the day before and her hair was curled and put up into a messy bun. She looked amazing.

"Ready for a nice night?" I asked as I opened the door for her. She smiled and nodded her head as she slid into the passenger's seat. I closed it softly and jogged around the car. I slid in and closed the door behind me, starting the car up afterwards.

"What music would you like to listen to?" I asked as I turned the radio on.

"Um, anything is fine," she said. I nodded and turned the station, hearing the song "Lets Get Married" by Jagged Edge.

"This is such a sweet song," she gushed.

"Yup, sure is," I smiled as I pulled out of the parking lot and headed down the street.

"Where are we goin'?" she asked curiously.

"I can't tell," I grinned over at her.

"Is it a surprise?" she asked hopeful.

"Well..."

"It is isn't it?"

"Maybe, maybe not," I shrugged. She groaned and said, "Man, tell me!"

"Nuh uh," I smiled widely. She stuck her tongue out at me and laughed lightly.

"Fine, I'm just gonna sit here like a good girl and play nice," she said straightening herself up and folding her hands in her lap. I couldn't help but laugh at the sight of her.

"What?" she asked looking over at me with a small smile.

"You look too..."

"Proper?" she finished.

"Yeah, yeah proper," I nodded.

"That's the point Brian! Duh!"

As she laughed I looked over at her happy filled face and couldn't help but smile myself. Smile a real smile. Not a fake one like I put on most of the time, but a genuine smile. There was something about her, something that she possessed that forced me to act normal. No matter how hard I tried, I acted like myself when I was with her. She was something different alright, but I liked it. I liked her, more than I thought I did.
Chapter 6 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

"I'm stuffed like a turkey," I said as I set down my fork and leaned back on the blanket, patting my stomach lightly.

"I know what you mean," Nicole laughed from next to me. "This must have taken you forever."

I looked around me and shook my head, "Actually it really didn't. I had it all planned out so it was pretty easy."

"It sure is a lot," she said. I shrugged and said, "It's worth it."

She smiled and said, "You're so sweet."

"Why thank you."

"But seriously, a picnic on the beach at night...it's just too good of an idea."

"AJ kind of gave me the idea a while back. We were talking on the tour bus about perfect dates, don't laugh, we were bored, and he said that girls really like beaches and picnics...so why not put them together?"

"AJ's a ladies man isn't he?"

I laughed and said, "Yeah, you could say that."

She nodded and grew quiet.

"It sure is pretty out," she said softly as she looked ahead at the water that sparkled under the moon's rays.

"Yeah it is," I breathed looking at her peaceful, beautiful face. This whole night, I couldn't bring myself to look away from her. I don't know what it was, but for some reason, I just couldn't stop looking at her. I couldn't even try. She was just too beautiful.

"Brian?" her heavenly voice filled the air.

"Hmm?"

She bit her lip and then turned her head to look at me, "How are you?"

I was a little taken aback on her question. I found it quite odd how she all of a sudden asked a question that should have been asked earlier in the evening.

"Why do you ask?" I asked.

She shrugged, looking back at the ocean saying, "It's just a question. I was just wondering how you were."

"Oh...I'm fine," I said quietly, for the first time taking my eyes off of her and looking down.

"Are you?" she asked with so much intensity it shocked me. I lifted my head and met her eyes. She was staring at me intently.

"Yes, I'm fine."

She looked at me with the same sternness for a few more moments, and then a small smile broke out on her face.

"That's good," she said nodding. I looked at her strangely and slowly nodded my head. We grew quiet once again. I closed my eyes and breathed in the salty air around me, the crashing of the waves against the shore reaching my ears. I could sit here forever. It was so peaceful.

"I missed this," Nicole said suddenly. My eyes opened and shifted over to her. She was now standing, with her arms crossed over her chest, looking out at the ocean.

"Missed what?" I asked, getting to my feet also. She looked over at me and smiled, "Nothing. Come on, lets walk."

She took my hand and pulled me down the beach, my feet sinking in the cool smooth sand.

"You must really love living here," she said.

"Yeah, it's great. It's a beautiful place to live," I nodded.

"It sure is. That's why I wanted to move here."

"I think you picked wisely," I smiled over at her.

"You say you're from Kentucky right?" she asked.

"Yup."

"Don't you miss it?"

"Of course I do," I said. "So does Kevin."

"No...I mean like really really really miss it. To the point of your heart hurting over it," she said. I looked over at her and then to the front of me, focusing in on the rocks that were ahead of us.

"You do don't you?" she asked.

"I never said that," I said quickly looking over at her. Her eyebrows furrowed and she said, "Well do you or don't you?"

"It's true I miss it, but I don't miss it that much," I shrugged. She just stared at me as we walked hand and hand down the beach. She finally said, "That's good then."

"Yup," I nodded. "But enough about me, what about you?"

"What do you mean, what about me?" she asked.

"Well, don't you miss where you came from?" I asked. She shrugged slightly and said, "I haven't been away from it that long. I've lived there for so long, longer than anyone would wanna live, so it's nice to have a change of scenery for once."

"I can understand that. Where do you live again?"

She smiled at me and said, "Up north."

"OK, I gotta ask, is up north like a town?"

She laughed as I said that.

"What? I'm just wondering."

"It's not a town. It's not really important where I used to live."

"Yes, it is. I want to know where you lived. I want to know all about you."

She waved her right hand, dismissing what I said by saying, "I'll tell you some other time."

I stared at her and finally just nodded my head.

"At least tell me this, was where you lived nice?"

She glanced at me and nodded, "It's one of the most beauiful places in the universe."

"Why did you leave then?"

She shrugged slightly and said, "Business."

"Business?" I asked a little confused.

"Yeah," she laughed at my expression. "Family business."

"Oh, OK, now I get it," I smiled. She just smiled back and me and squeezed my hand lightly.

"Are you guys going back on tour soon?" she asked.

"Um, not that I know of. We're taking a 4 month break. This is still our first month. I don't know when we'll be going back on tour," I replied.

"I bet you're gonna miss that. Touring must be so fun," she smiled at me. I slightly smiled back at her and looked ahead, shrugging lightly.

"Yeah I guess so."

"Don't you think so?" she asked. I looked over at her again and said, "Yeah, it's great."

Her eyebrows furrowed and she said, "You don't seem too confident when you say that. Do you have fun on tour?"

"Of course. It's just that it gets tiring you know?"

She nodded and said, "I can understand that. Is it stressful?"

I shrugged and said, "At times it can be. The fans can sure get out of control."

"Do you ever regret getting into the business?"

I licked my lips and took a deep breath, trying to figure out how I was going to answer that. The truth is, I could never really answer that question. I used to answer it with a 'no' but things have started to change and I've been having trouble figuring out if I do regret it or not.

"No," I stated as firmly as I could.

"Really?" she asked. I could tell that she somehow didn't fully believe me.

"Really," I smiled.

"You're a good guy and a smart one at that. You're smart enough to know what you want in life."

I looked down and said quietly, "Yeah."

She squeezed my hand once more and put her head on my shoulder. I let go of her hand and wrapped my arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer.

"Thank you for taking me out tonight," she said softly. I leaned my head on hers and said, "It was my pleasure."

For the rest of the time we spent at the beach we talked about anything and everything. We talked about what we thought about life, about music, about hate...about love. We talked about love the most, she couldn't ask enough questions about it. At times it felt like I was trying to teach a little girl about love. You can never teach a person about love, they have to experience it to fully understand it. Nicole has never fallen in love. She said she just wasn't able to. I don't really undestand what she meant by it, if she meant she's been too busy or never found the right guy to love.

I don't know what it is, but at times I think she's holding things back. More than I know of. She's mysterious you could say. I couldn't really understand her. She's a great girl and something inside me tells me that I should be afraid...be cautious, but I just couldn't. There was something about her that lured me to her, that made me never want to let go. I have never met someone like her before in my life, I never knew such a person could even exist. I really don't know what it was, but she was different. Not different in the sense of how people have different personalities, but different in a way that no one could understand. I wanted to understand and I was going to no matter what.
Chapter 7 by DaniGiggles
A Week Later

Brian's View


"Yo Rok, what's up with you and Nicole?" Nick's questioning voice said through the phone. I laid back on the couch and picked up the remote.

"Nothing, why?" I asked, playing around with the buttons.

"Nothing? Hah! You guys have been spending a lot of time together."

"Your point? Everyone has. You're the one that took her to a movie yesterday," I said.

"My point is, is that you've been spending more time with her than any of us. Are you guys going out and just aren't telling us?" he asked suspiciously.

"Dude, we're just friends!"

"Mmm hmm."

"What, you don't believe me?"

"I believe you guys are friends, but I think there's something else going on," he said.

"Like what?"

"You guys like each other so there's gotta be something juicy going on."

"Well, there's not."

"Yet."

"Shut up man. Look, Nicole and I are just friends. So what if we spend a lot of time with each other? It's true, I like her. It doesn't mean she likes me too."

"You're an idiot if you don't think she likes you back," Nick stated bluntly.

"Well, does she?"

"I dunno."

"See! You don't even know!"

"I think she likes you. So does everyone else."

"What have you guys been doing? Calling late night meetings to talk about me?"

"No, it's just been brought up a couple times. We think you two should hook up. It would do you some good."

"I don't think that is such a good idea," I said.

"Why the hell not? You like her, we all think she likes you. What's wrong with it?" he asked. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. I didn't say anything back.

"Bri...you're still hooked on Leigh aren't you?" Nick asked slowly. I bit my lip and shut my eyes tight. I was hoping he wouldn't bring her up. It hurts to just think about her.

"Brian?"

I still didn't answer. I knew that if I talked, he probably wouldn't be able to hear me. A lump had formed in my throat and if I talked I knew that I would start crying.

"Brian...I'm sorry I shouldn't have mentioned her..." Nick apologized sincerely.

"No..." I said barely audible for him to hear. I cleared my throat and breathed out shakily. "No, it's OK. Really it is."

"No, it's not. Not when even her name makes you upset. Are you still in love with her?"

"What do you think?"

"Why?"

"Why? WHY? You'd think that'd be obvious. She's the only woman that has ever made me feel complete. She's the only woman that I have given my heart to like I did her. She's the only woman that I have ever felt love for. God Nick, you have no idea how much it hurts to have the woman you thought was your soul mate leave you!"

Nick didn't say anything for a minute or so and then he spoke up softly, "You need to let her go."

"Let her go? I didn't have to! She already left!" I yelled, afterwards clicking the "Talk" button. I threw the phone across the living room, clenching my jaw tightly. The phone smashed against the wall and came crumpling down to the floor. I tried to hold back the tears that were wanting to escape. There was no use in holding them, they were going to fall sooner or later...so I let them fall.

"God please help me," I pleaded through my tears.

Nicole's View

"Hey Hey!" I greeted jumping on Madeline's bed.

"Why are you so happy today?" Madeline asked as she put down her nail polish.

"I dunno," I shrugged sitting down next to her.

"Yeah right. Must be a good day for you. You goin' over to Brian's later?" she asked blowing on her index finger to quicken the drying process.

"Yup, we're gonna watch a movie tonight," I grinned.

"Are you getting anywhere with him?" she asked turning serious. I bit my lip and looked down, fiddling with my hands.

"You haven't have you?" she asked. I just shook my head slowly.

She sighed and said, "It isn't easy huh?"

I shook my head again.

"But are you getting anywhere at all?"

I looked up into her hopeful face and said, "Well...maybe a little bit."

"How much is a little bit?"

"Well, he's become fond of me."

"Fond of you? That's it?"

"Yeah, gosh Maddy. It's harder than I thought! He simply won't tell me anything! He won't open up! What do I have to do? Beat it out of him? I know I'd get in trouble for that but jeez, it's so hard!" I exclaimed slapping my leg.

She grabbed my hand and said, "I have never heard that it was easy. You knew that it was going to be hard."

"Yeah, but not this hard. Everything I ask him, he answers back with a complete lie. He doesn't know that I know but...URGH!" I grunted laying back on the bed. Madeline patted my leg and said, "Don't give up. You've only been talking to him for a week. It takes time."

"But I don't have time!"

"Yes, you do."

"How much?" I asked. She shrugged and said, "I haven't heard."

"See! That's why I'm so nervous! I don't have a deadline! It could be next month when I have to have it done!"

She looked down at me and said, "It won't be that soon and you know it."

"How long did you have with Kevin?"

"5 months," she replied. I groaned and said, "How long did it take you?"

"3 months. Nikki, he's gotta start to trust you. That won't happen in a week."

"I know...I know," I said quietly.

"Try not to worry about it OK? You won't be in trouble until it gets nearer to the deadline."

"What will happen to me?"

"Depends," she shrugged.

"You say it as if you don't care!" I exclaimed, frustrated. She laughed good heartedly and said, "Girl, chill! It's not like you're gonna go to hell. Look, I have never known a person to fail OK? You're going to do just fine! It's been a week. From what I have seen and heard, you've been doing a good job. And you know what Melanie told me?"

"What?"

"She said that Brian's beginning to really like you."

"I knew that though Maddy."

She smiled at me and said, "Well, he is cute. I wouldn't mind him liking me."

"But isn't it wrong for him to like me? Wouldn't I be hurting him more?" I asked worriedly.

"It's not wrong for the person to like you. Kevin liked me, but he got over it as soon as I left, just as Brian will get over you when you leave. Now love...love isn't a good thing."

"What if he does fall in love with me?" I asked. She laughed and said, "Nikki, he's not going to fall in love with you. There's no way! I have never known of someone falling in love with one of...us."

"Is it possible?" I asked curiously. She licked her lips and thought for a moment and then soon shrugged, "I don't think it is."

"Alright," I said. "But Maddy, do you have any advice for me? Anything at all? This is my first time. I'm afraid I'm gonna screw up along the way."

She squeezed my hand and said softly, "Never give up and..."

She stopped and looked down.

"And what?" I pushed. She looked up into my eyes and said so softly it was barely audible for anyone in earshot to hear, "Don't fall in love..."
Chapter 8 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

The cool water ran down my face as I looked in the mirror at myself. The sight frustrated and angered me. How could I let it get this far? How? How did this happen in the first place?

Taking one last glance at my saddened face, I reached over and pulled a white towel off the rack. Taking it in my hands, I wiped the water that I had splashed on my face to calm me down.

I bundled the towel in a ball and threw it to the side, rubbing my hand through my hair as I walked out of the bathroom. I glanced at the clock and groaned. Nicole was going to be here any minute and I looked like a complete mess.

I rushed over to my closet, pulling my T-shirt off and throwing it in the hamper. After snatching the black button down shirt and grabbing a pair of khaki pants, I got dressed quickly. I fixed my hair, looked in the mirror, and sighed with what I saw. I wasn't fully satisfied with what I saw, but it would have to do. I couldn't do anything else to improve myself. Well, I could change my attitude but that's harder than you might think.

I put on some cologne and stood back, examining myself in the mirror. I hoped Nicole liked the way I looked. I sure didn't.

I looked over to my bedroom door when I heard the doorbell ring. I bit my lip, turned back to the mirror one last time, and then turned on my heal and left the room.

I was a couple steps away from the front doors when I remembered what I was going to give her. I stopped abruptly and turned around, jogging over to the kitchen. It was laying silently on the table. I walked over and took it in my hands, afterwards rushing over to the door.

Nicole's View

The door slowly opened and Brian's smiling face was shown before me.

"Hey beautiful!" he greeted with his hands behind his back. I smiled widely and said, "Hey cutie! How you doin'?"

"Just fine and dandy," he said opening the door wider. "Come in, come in."

"Thank you very much," I smiled. He shut the door behind him and then leaned over and whispered in my ear, "I have something for you."

I bit my lip and whispered back, "What do you have for me?"

He smiled cheesely and stood up straight, clearing his throat. He then bowed and said, "I got you..."

He stood up straight once more and brought his arms from around his back to the front of him, "A beautiful white rose."

"Awww, thank you!" I gushed taking the white rose from his hands and smelling it. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed my cheek, "It's the least I can do."

"Oh oh! Guess what movie I brought?" I asked. He put on a face making it look like he was thinking very hard, "Hmmmm...I don't know. Tell me!"

I grabbed his hand and led him to the living room. He sat down on the couch as I took out the DVD from the bag I had brought, and popped the movie in the DVD player. I rushed over to Brian and sat next to him.

"OK, where's the remote?" I asked looking around.

"Right here," Brian said handing it to me. I smiled and said, "Thanks."

"So what's the movie?" Brian asked curiously. I licked my lips and pressed play, "You'll find out in a second."

"I don't want to wait a second!"

"Lazy bum."

"You know it."

"I love this movie," I grinned. I looked over at Brian and found him staring at the screen, trying to figure out what movie it was.

"This looks very familiar," he nodded. I laughed and turned back to the TV.

"Casper?" he asked looking over at me with his eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, it's such a cute movie," I said. He stared at me for a moment and said, "This is your favorite movie?"

I just nodded. He just laughed lightly.

"What? It's cute!" I defended.

"Why do you like it so much?" he asked. I stared at him for a moment and then said, "I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

"Relate to it?" he asked with a look of pure puzzlement on his face. I slightly smiled and said, "It's hard to explain."

Of course it wasn't hard to explain. I could be blunt about it, but if I did that, he'd never talk to me again and I would ruin everything.

He just nodded and looked back at the screen.

"What's your favorite part?" he asked a couple of minutes later.

"I have a couple actually."

"What are they?"

"When she's in her bed sleeping and Casper leans over and whispers in her ear..."

"Can I keep you?" Brian finished for me. I looked up into his eyes a little shocked.

"Yeah...how'd you know?"

"I've seen the movie a couple times," he smiled.

"Oh, I thought you didn't."

"Nah, to be honest, I think it's a good movie too," he nodded. I smiled over at him.

"What's your favorite part?" I asked. He stared at the screen and then looked over at me. After a moment of silence he said, "The very end when they're dancing."

I nodded and said, "That's one of my favorite parts too."

He just smiled over at me.

"This movie makes me want to cry though," I said as I looked at the movie. I could feel Brian's gaze on me.

"Why's that?" he asked very quietly. I looked over at him and found that he was staring at me with concerned eyes. I slightly smiled and asked, "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"When you said that...I dunno...you just sounded so sad," he said. I was a little surprised. Did I sound sad? I can't even get sad. It's not possible for someone like me.

"Oh, I did?" I asked. He slowly nodded and then said, "So you gonna answer my question?"

"What question was that?"

"Why you cry when you watch it."

"Oh, I don't cry...I just feel like crying."

"Same thing," he shrugged. Not in my book. They're both very different in my world.

"It's just that, it's really upsetting how Casper is totally in love with her or really likes her a lot and he cant be with her because he's a ghost, you know? I just think it's terrible how they can't be together," I said. Brian slightly smiled and said, "I can see what you mean but ya know what I think?"

"What's that?"

"Love can get you through anything. I mean, I bet you if they had a sequel to this thing, he'd turn into a boy again just because of love."

"You really believe that?"

He nodded and slightly smiled.

"I really wish I knew what love feels like," I said. Brian frowned and said, "You still got your whole life ahead of you Nicole. Just think of what's coming."

Gosh, he was clueless to everything about me. He doesn't know that I don't have the rest of my life, that I'll never be able to love, that I'll never get to experience what it feels like.

"Did you ever come close to it?"

"To what?" I asked.

"Loving someone."

"Oh," I became quiet. I looked down at my hands and took a deep breath. I didn't want to answer him. Besides, this was about him. This isn't about me.

I looked over at him when his hands softly touched mine.

"You OK?" he asked. I nodded and said, "Yeah, sorry."

"You have haven't you?"

"What?" I asked a little startled.

"You've been in love before or very close to it," he said nodding his head. I shook my head quickly, "No, I haven't."

"Come on Nicole, I can tell."

I looked down again and sighed.

"If you have, why do you say you don't know what it feels like?" he asked.

"Because I forgot OK?"

He looked at me a little shocked at the sternness in my voice.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out like that."

"Don't be sorry. How long has it been?"

I shrugged and said, "A long time."

Yeah, it's been a long time all right. Long enough for anyone to forget a bunch of things.

"What was his name?" he asked softly. I opened my mouth to answer but I suddenly shut it, shaking my head, "It's not important."

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not."

"Yes," he softly said, putting his hand lightly on my cheek and turning my head to look at him, "It is."

As I looked into his eyes, I saw so many things. Things many people wouldn't be able to see. Things people didn't want to see. They were telling me everything that he was feeling. Sadness was the main thing I saw. Concern and love was the second biggest thing that I saw. He was lost. He was in a hole and he doesn't know how to get out. He's doing such a good job at covering things up but he doesn't realize that it's making things worse. Worse for him, worse for everybody.

"Why do you care so much?" I asked quietly, still staring intently in his eyes, trying to figure him out. I was trying to figure out what he was thinking, trying to figure out why he was so concerned.

"I care for you that's why," his voice filled my ears.

"Why?" I asked so quietly, I'm surprised I could even hear it. He moved over a little bit toward me, his hand still softly touching my cheek, our eyes still met.

I could see it in his eyes that he was smiling a little bit at me.

"Do I have to have a reason?"

I lightly smiled and nodded.

"You want to know my reason?" he asked, slowly moving his face toward mine.

I nodded again.

"You really want to know my reason?" he said softer than he said before. His face was only inches apart from mine now. I still was staring into his eyes. I couldn't figure out what he was thinking, I couldn't figure out what he was meaning by all of this.

"Well..." he stopped about an inch from my face and licked his lips. He looked down at my lips and then up at my eyes again. He leaned in slowly, closing his eyes, letting his lips brush up against mine. His soft lips sent chills down my spin.

After about a minute, he pulled away slowly and whispered while smiling a smile I knew wasn't fake, "It's a secret."
Chapter 9 by DaniGiggles
The Next Morning

Brian's View


"You what?" I could tell Nick was smiling widely on the other end of the phone. I shifted the phone to my other ear as I extended my arm to grab a couple boxes of Macaroni and Cheese, throwing them into the basket in front of me.

"You heard me," I couldn't help but grin.

"Ah man, how'd it happen?" he asked curiously.

"It just happened," I shrugged as I moved the basket down the isle, smiling politely at an old lady who passed me.

"You sure are keeping out the details. Don't leave me hanging here!"

"Well, we were watching Casper..."

"Casper?" he interrupted.

"Yes, Casper, what's wrong with that?" I asked.

"Nothing," he chuckled. I rolled my eyes and said, "Anyway, we started talking during the movie, we got closer to each other, and we kissed."

"Is she a good kisser?"

I smiled and said, "Yeah, she definitely is."

"You two hooked up yet?" he asked.

"What do you mean 'yet'?" I asked as I grabbed a bag of Oreos.

"You guys are close and we're all wondering when you guys are going to hook up," he replied.

"I swear you guys have midnight meetings to talk about me. I hope you're not plotting to kill me," I joked.

"Funny, but seriously Rok, you two would make a cute couple."

"Oh my gosh! Did Nickolas Gene Carter just say cute in a sentence!?" I exclaimed. I heard him groan.

"I'm just playin'," I laughed.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he mumbled. "I'm serious though."

"I know, but there's something about her..."

"Something bad?"

"No, well I dunno, it's hard to explain."

"Is she a serial killer?"

"What? Man, you're weird."

"I'm only kidding! I don't see anything wrong with her."

"I don't really either, but it's just a feeling I have."

"Ooooh! Brian's in love!"

I stopped pushing the cart and stopped walking, surprised at what he said, "What!? No, I'm not. I hardly know her."

"I'm kidding again, but what do you mean you hardly know her? You only spend every day with her."

I sighed and started moving down the next isle, "I know, but...gosh it's so hard to explain. I mean, when I'm with her, it's great. She makes me smile and she treats me like a normal person, but at times, when we stop talking and we're just kind of sitting there, I look at her, and something just forms in my stomach that something isn't right."

"What do you mean?" I could tell he was confused. I sighed and said, "Nevermind, forget I said anything."

"Rok, are you OK?" Nick asked concerned.

"Yeah, why?"

He was silent for a moment but then he spoke up, "I was just wondering."

We were silent for the next minute and when I went to say I'd let him go, I heard him ask something I didn't see coming, "Have you talked to Leighanne?"

I was startled at the question.

"I...I..." I stuttered.

"Forget it, I'm sorry I asked."

"No."

"No what?"

"I haven't talked to her."

"I'm sorry Brian."

"Yeah, so am I."

"Why don't you call her?"

"What's the point? She left me Nick, I didn't leave her."

"Why did she leave you?" he asked. I grew silent. I didn't know how to answer that question.

"Bri? You there?"

"Yeah, sorry, hey I'm going to let you go OK?"

"All right, I'm sorry for bringing that up."

"Nah, it's OK. I'll see you tonight at the dinner right?" I asked.

"Yup, see you there."

"Bye," I said pressing the end button on my cellphone. I stuffed it in my coat pocket and sighed deeply, trying not to cry. I don't know why I can't answer the question. No one knows the story behind it, only me. I haven't told anyone, maybe because I'm ashamed of what happened or because I don't fully understand it. How am I supposed to explain to my best friends or my family that the reason why my long time girlfriend left me was because...well I won't even say anything. I'm afraid you'd be ashamed of me too.

That Night

I strolled down the lightly lit hallway toward the sound of clinging wine glasses and the laughter of the many people that were most likely going to be wasted by the end of the night.

"Good evening Mr. Littrell," a man in a black tux greeted me as I walked past. I smiled and nodded my head to be polite.

I looked away from him and walked over to the balcony, setting my hands lightly on the railing. I looked down at the large lightly lit room below me. It was crowded, more crowded then I expected it would be, but things don't always come out as you would've hoped.

Chandeliers hung from the ceiling, letting off little light, only enough for everyone to able to see everything. Music blared through the speakers and echoed throughout the room.

This wasn't a party of a group of old people. It was a dinner for record producers and managers, artists and dancers. All the same, it was going to be boring.

Sighing deeply, I stepped away from the railing and walked down the marble staircase to the crowd below, wondering how I was going to find anyone I recognized. I would most likely be approached by numerous girls asking if we're making a new album any time soon, and of course, if I'm single. I don't go to these things to get laid. I don't go to anything to get laid. I'm not like that. Now AJ on the other hand...

"Brian, you don't want to be here so might as well turn around and go home. You can still catch SNL if you leave now," I muttered to myself as I stepped off the last step. I smiled politely at a red headed woman as she walked passed. I hope she didn't hear me, that would be embarrassing.

As much as I wanted to just haul ass out of there, I couldn't. I was invited to this and I'm not one to turn invitations down, it's just how I am. Now if I had a tragedy going on then I wouldn't have to go, but there isn't a tragedy going on and they all know that. Well, there is a tragedy, but I'm the only one that knows about it. Besides, I wanted to see Nicole.

Walking across the room, dodging giggling women with wine glasses grasped in their hands, and waving to people that I didn't know that waved to me. I looked around me trying to find any of the guys. No such luck.

"Brian!" I heard someone yell from behind me. I turned around and scanned the crowd. I saw no one.

"Babe, you really gotta get your eyes checked or something. I'm right here," I heard Fatima's voice from next to me. I turned my head and smiled warmly at her, giving her a hug.

"Hey 'Tima, you look great," I complimented. She smiled a thank you and grabbed a wine glass from a passing waiter. She was wearing a long black gown, with spaghetti straps, that was open in the back.

"You look pretty damn hot yourself I must say," she winked. I looked down at my black suit.

"Nah, it's nothing special. I didn't want to dress up too much," I shrugged, moving out of the way for a rather large man with a plate full of food.

"I think it looks good, I like how you don't go full out in these things."

"Thanks, hey are any of the guys here?" I asked. She took a sip of her wine and nodded, "Yeah, they're all here. Kevin is over talking to Mariah Carey, Howie's talking with his mother of course, AJ's over flirting with some blonde bimbo chick, and Nick, he's over there talking with Justin Timberlake."

My mouth dropped open at that, "Are you serious?"

She laughed, nodding her head and taking another sip.

"Strange," I said shaking my head.

"You want to know where Nicole is don't you?" she asked. I looked at her oddly. How did she know that?

"Uh...well, yeah, I do actually," I nodded. She smiled and said, "She went to the ladies room. She'll be out here soon and boy, she's gonna knock your socks off."

I couldn't help but grin when I heard that. Of course she was going to knock my socks off, she always does.

"Well, being the social butterfly that I am, I'm going to go talk with some other people OK?"

"All right, see you later 'Tima. Don't drink too much," I warned.

"You know I won't," she playfully slapped my arm and walked off. I pulled out a chair from the table that I was standing next to and sat down gently.

I sat there alone just looking around uncomfortably. Usually I wouldn't be uncomfortable in a place like this, but I've changed, not by choice.

I reached across the table and grabbed the glass of water sitting there. I started to sip some when I was hit in the back.

"Hey boy!" AJ greeted slapping my back and falling into the seat next to me. I jumped and slammed the water down, wiping off the water that had fallen into my lap.

"Whoops, sorry about that," he cringed. I looked up at him and said, "It's all right."

"What are you doing here all alone?" he asked concerned. I set down the napkin and shrugged, "I don't know many here."

"Yeah, that's why you mingle and get to know these people," he said drinking from his wine glass.

"I don't feel like mingling. I don't want to be here to be truthful," I stated bluntly. He stared at me for a moment and said, "Are you sick?"

I shook my head.

"Rok, what is up with you? Seriously, is something wrong? You usually enjoy these types of things, and now you don't even want to be here? Will you please tell me what is going on? You are starting to really worry me."

"I'm fine AJ," I replied.

"Sure as hell doesn't seem like it. We've had this conversation before so I'm not going to repeat everything, but we're always here for you, and we're willing to help. We can't help though unless you tell us what is going on."

"All of you think something is wrong?"

"Pretty much," he nodded. "We didn't think so at first, but ever since Nicole came, your face seems to show more emotion and it's easier to pick up things. Before she came, you were fine. Did she do something to you?"

I shook my head quickly, "Of course not! If anything, she has made me happier."

"Then what the hell is wrong?" he asked getting frustrated.

"Nothing is wrong! If there was, wouldn't you think I would have told you by now?" I exclaimed glaring at him.

He stared at me hurtfully for a moment and then nodded his head, "All right, I won't push it anymore, but Rok, I know there's something wrong and I know that you are not alright."

With that, he got up and walked away. I sighed deeply and watched as he walked away. Am I really doing a bad job at covering things up now? I didn't think I was. I thought I was acting the same even before Nicole came.

"I have something for you," I heard a familiar whisper in my ear. I jumped, surprised, and turned around to come face to face with the most beautiful woman that I have ever met.

"What do you have for me?" I whispered back with a smile. She grinned and raised her hand that contained a single white rose. I took it and smiled, afterwards, getting to my feet and wrapping her in a hug, kissing her cheek.

"I'm glad you're here," I said.

"So am I! I've gotten to meet so many famous people, it's unbelievable. Thanks for inviting me," she said as we pulled away.

"No problem, I'm surprised you found me."

She smiled lightly and said, "Nah, it wasn't that hard. You kind of stand out when you're sitting all alone."

"Oh, thanks. Sit down," I said as I slipped back into my chair. As she sat down, I finally noticed how beautiful she did look tonight. Her hair was in curls on top of her head, and she was wearing a blue sparkling dress. It had spaghetti straps and it reached to her knees. It really brought her eyes out.

"You look incredible," I complimented as she sat down.

"Thank you," she smiled. "You look very handsome yourself. How are you?"

"I'm doing pretty good," I lied. She stared at me as if she knew I was lying and then nodded, "That's good to hear."

"How are you?" I asked.

"Pretty good," she replied. "Are you having fun?"

"Nah, it's pretty boring."

She looked surprised, "I heard you like these things."

"Yeah, I guess I'm just tired, you know?"

She nodded and said, "I know what you mean. When did you get here?"

"About 10 minutes ago, nothing exciting is going on from what I can see."

"Well, over on the other side of the room, these two old people were dancing like they were chickens. I think they had one too many drinks," she laughed. I couldn't help but smile.

"Can you dance?" I asked. She nodded and said, "Yup, I love dancing."

"Same here, do you want to dance?" I asked, beginning to get up.

"Nah, not yet," she said. "I want to talk a little first if you don't mind."

I sat back down in my seat and nodded slowly.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"You of course!" she grinned.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did."

"I'm serious," I laughed.

"I'm just playin'. Shoot," she said.

"Why are you so interested in me?" I asked slowly.

"What do you mean?"

"We're always talking about me, and if you think about it, I know nothing about you."

She became silent and then smiled, "What's wrong with trying to get to know my buddy Brian?"

"Nothing, it's just that...I would like to know some things about you, you know?"

She nodded her head and sighed, "All right, what do you want to know?"

"Everything," I stated.

She laughed lightly and said, "Can you be a little bit more specific?"

"OK, um do you have any siblings? Wait that was a stupid question..."

She only laughed.

"OK, I got one, you know I'm religious right?" I asked. She nodded and waited for me to go on.

"Are you?"

She nodded her head again and said, "Very much so."

"So you believe in God?"

"Yup," she smiled.

"Do you believe in angels?" I asked. Her smile faltered for a moment, but went back, "Yes. Do you?"

"Yeah, I think there is. I'm glad you think the same thing, a lot of people find it stupid to believe in them."

"I'm happy to know you believe in them too. It's good to believe in something," she smiled. "Can I ask you a question now?"

"Go ahead."

"This may sound stupid, but I'm just wondering..."

"No question is stupid," I shrugged.

"Well, do you ever think that you've met one?" she asked, looking into my eyes.

I was taken aback by the question. I didn't know how to answer that.

"Yo Bri! Come over here!" I heard Kevin's voice come from across the room. I shifted my eyes from Nicole's intent stare and toward the voice. I saw Kevin waving at me to come over.

"I'll be right back," I said, getting up and walking over. As I left, I couldn't help but actually feel uncomfortable for the first time in the presence of Nicole. I'm guessing it was her question. I've never been asked that and I really didn't know how to answer it. I believe in angels, but to think that I could have met one is just way out there. But what if I have? What then?
Chapter 10 by DaniGiggles
Later That Night at Brian's House

Brian's View


"Hey you," I heard Nicole's sweet voice whisper in my ear. I twirled around and smiled down at her.

"Hey there," I said. After the dinner party, I took Nicole back to her apartment so she could change into some comfortable clothes, then we came back to my house to watch some movies and hang out.

"Come with me, I want to show you something," she said slipping her hand into mine and pulling me out of the kitchen where I was preparing us some drinks.

"Where are we going?" I asked as she pulled me toward the doors that led out to the porch. She looked back at me and smiled, "Just come."

"OK, question!" I said as I was being pulled out the doors and onto the porch. I watched as she grabbed a ladder and set it against the house. She grabbed a hold and began to climb up.

"Hmm?" Nicole finally stopped and turned to me after getting onto the roof.

"Why are we going on the roof?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Because this is where I want to show you..." she smiled. Her smile just makes you want to melt every time she does it, and believe me, she does it all the time.

"You aren't going to kill me are you?" I joked.

"Ha Ha Ha, that's funny."

"You know it," I said as I began to climb up the ladder. "Where did you get this ladder anyway?"

"I found it in your garage," she said. I got to my feet and asked with a small smirk on my face, "What were you doing in my garage?"

"Trying to find a ladder. Duh," she said with a small smile.

"Oh, of course, to find a ladder," I said, jokingly smacking the side of my head. She rolled her eyes and grabbed my hand, "Just come on."

"What did you want to show me?" I asked.

She pulled me over to the other end of the roof.

"Look," she said linking her arm with mine and holding my hand. I looked around and shrugged, "At what?"

"What do you see?" she asked looking up at me. I wanted to laugh at all of this, but I could tell by her eyes that she was being serious.

"Well, I..." I stopped talking and looked around me again. "I see trees, flowers, houses, cars, lights. Why, what do you see?"

"Brian, look straight ahead of you and tell me what you see," she said squeezing my hand. I frowned in puzzlement. What was she getting at?

I looked ahead and saw the city and all the sparkling lights coming from it. The neighborhood I lived in was by the beach, but was also pretty near downtown, but still a little ways away.

"I see a city," I finally said.

"And what's in the city?"

"People," I stated. "Where are you getting with this?"

"I was just thinking the other night about this when Maddy and I went on the roof to just look at the stars and everything. We were laying down and I sat up, and I was looking at the lights and everything, and Maddy brought up about how weird it was to think of how many people are living there."

"There is a lot of people..." I nodded.

"And then I got to thinking about how all of those people have their own lives, and have things happening in them that a lot of people don't know about. Everyone has secrets you know? Imagine how many secrets are out there that people are keeping to themselves. Some may be good secrets, and some may be bad. Some may be making the person happy and some, well some might be hurting the person even more," her voice became quiet near the end. What she said last made my heart flutter.

"Am I making sense?" she asked looking up at me with hopeful eyes. I looked into her eyes and nodded slowly, "Yeah, you are."

"I mean, think about it, we normally would think about all these people being happy and all, right? We don't normally think right off the bat that a lot of them aren't happy, but if you think about it, more than 3/4 of the people in that city are unhappy. I bet you that all those people that are unhappy have a lot of problems they aren't telling people, that they won't talk to anyone about it, or trust anyone to tell. I bet you that a lot of those people are unhappy and are covering it up. I bet you that more than half of those people will never tell anyone why they are unhappy and end up living their lives miserably...or not living their lives at all."

Her words were hitting me like a ton of bricks. I stood there staring out at the city and the sparkling lights, letting her words sink in. What she was talking about was true and very real. Her words hit home. Now that I think about it, I was one of those people. She was talking about me.

"I find it really sad how people have to live like that, live unhappy. I hear all the time how you should live your life to the fullest and I would have to totally agree. Life isn't that long if you think about it. It's gone before you know it. People should live their lives happy before it's too late, you know? A lot of those people out there are going to die unhappy, a lot of those people aren't enjoying life when they should. Problems can be fixed, but a lot of them don't know that. They think their problems will go away in time or that they'll just forget about them when in reality, problems don't go away until you make them go away. You know what I'm talking about?"

I nodded my head and looked down at her.

"I mean, a lot of those people are keeping things to themselves and they think that they're helping themselves and the people around them by doing so when, in fact, they're hurting themselves and the people they love more. To think how many of those people would be so much happier if they just talked to someone about what's bothering them, about what's making them unhappy. To think how many of those people's lives would be saved by opening up. Opening up isn't hard, as long as you trust the person. A lot of them are afraid of opening up, fearing that it'll cause even more problems, and maybe that's true and more problems do arise...but then you gotta think that maybe they opened up to the wrong person, a person they didn't trust."

I nodded my head slowly and softly said, "I know what you're talking about."

She looked up at me and asked, "You trust people right?"

"Not many," I said.

"Who do you trust?" she asked looking intently at me.

"The guys, my parents, and..." I looked into her eyes and knew, just knew, that I could trust her too.

"You," I said quietly. She formed a small smile and squeezed my hand.

"I'm sorry, I kind of went off into my own little world," she apologized.

"Nah, it's OK, I agree with you totally on that. I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, everything you said is true."

"Yeah, I just wish things were different," she said. Yeah, so do I, more than she knows.

I smiled down at her and said, "Nicole..."

"Yeah?" she asked looking up at me.

"Thank you."

"For what?" she asked.

"For what you just said, I took it more to heart than you think," I said quietly. She looked at me grateful and said, "I'm glad my words mean something to you."

I unlinked my arm from hers and wrapped her in a hug. She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly.

I closed my eyes firmly and pursed my lips together as I hugged her. I was trying to decide if I should tell her what I was keeping to myself, what I was covering up.

"Nicole?" the word just slipped out of my mouth.

"Yeah?" her sweet voice echoed through my ears.

"I have a secret I want to tell you..." I softly said. She pulled away and looked up into my eyes, "What is it?"

I sighed and looked down, "I..."

I sighed once more and took a deep breath, "I..."

She smiled lightly and said, "Don't go any further. Tell me when you're ready to OK?"

I nodded and smiled down at her, "Thank you. You are awesome you know that?"

"And why is that?" she asked.

"You're just so understanding. it's hard trying to find people like you," I said. She smiled and said, "That's so sweet."

"Yeah, well I'm sweet so what can I say?" I grinned. She slapped my arm playfully and laughed.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked. She nodded her head and said, "Shoot."

"Well, first off, this is a very serious question so I want you to treat it seriously OK?"

"OK, got it."

I leaned forward, my arms wrapped around her waist, and stopped a couple of inches away from her mouth. I looked up into her eyes and formed a smile on my face, "Can I kiss you?"

I could tell by her eyes that she had a big smile on her face. She nodded and said, "Only if you want to."

I smiled and leaned in. My lips brushed up against hers and at that moment, I had feelings bursting through me that I haven't had since I was with Leighanne. It kind of scared me, but at the same time excited me.

Nicole's arms wrapped around my neck, her fingers running through my hair as we kissed. Her touch sent tingles down my spine.

We finally pulled away and to my surprise, I was a little out of breath.

"Can I ask you another question?" I asked. She kissed my lips lightly, "Mmhmm."

"How does my bedroom sound right about now?" I asked softly. She smiled widely and nodded, "It sounds pretty damn good."

That night, Nicole and I made love, not once, but multiple times throughout the night. She wasn't just some random girl that meant nothing. I got lost in her and I loved it. She made me feel wanted, she made me feel loved. Nothing was rushed or uncomfortable in any way, and that seemed to mean something in itself. I loved her soft kisses and the way she felt. I loved her small smiles and her soft whispers in my ear. I loved it all. It made me smile to think that Nicole could make me feel this way. What should shock you is that Leighanne had never, I mean never, made me feel this way when making love to one another. When we made love, it was just like doing it to get it over with, but with Nicole, it actually meant something. I never thought I could love again after Leighanne, but after that night, I knew I had thought wrong.
Chapter 11 by DaniGiggles
The Next Day

Nicole's View


"Maddy! Maddy!" I exclaimed, pushing the door to our apartment open and stumbling in. I threw my jacket and keys to the side and kicked off my shoes, rushing around the kitchen to the hallway.

"Maddy!" I yelled banging on her bedroom door.

"Maddy, open the door!" I screamed banging as hard as I could. The door swung open and Maddy stood there staring at me with disbelief written all over her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked hurriedly. I pushed past her and plopped down on her bed, putting my head in my hands.

"Nikki, what's wrong?" she asked again, closing the door and coming over to me. She was beginning to get worried, I could tell by her voice. I could feel it too.

"I did something horrible," I said looking up into her eyes. She looked at me puzzled and asked, "What did you do? You didn't kill him did you?"

"It's not time to joke Maddy!" I exclaimed throwing my hands up in the air.

"OK, girl chill, will you tell me what happened?" she asked. I looked over at her and said, "You promise not to get mad?"

"Nikki, that has got to be the stupidest question in the world. You know I can't get mad, you know you can't get mad, so why ask a question like that?"

I looked down and said, "Sorry, I'm just not thinking."

"Now please tell me what's going on," she softly said.

I sighed and said, "Brian and I slept together last night."

I stared at her face for her reaction, and all I got was a very large smile to form.

"Maddy, why are you smiling?" I asked dumbfounded. I could have sworn she would have flipped.

"How was it?" she asked, a hint of laughter in her tone.

"How was it!? That's all you can say!? I don't think you understood me Maddy, I had sex with him!" I exclaimed.

"What's so bad about that?" she asked. I stared at her in disbelief, "Isn't that against the rules or something!?"

"Not that I know of," she shrugged. "I mean, Kevin and I did it a couple times and I didn't get in trouble. If they changed the rules they would have contacted me already. Nikki, this is normal, it happens all the time in these cases. You don't need to worry about it."

I sighed a sigh of relief and said, "Jeez, I thought I screwed up majorly."

"Nikki, the only way you could screw up is to give up and not help him, and from what I can tell, you're not going to give up and you are helping him. You're right on schedule."

"Have you talked to Melanie?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, I did, last night," she nodded.

"And?"

"And what?"

"Maddy! Stop procrastinating and tell me already!"

"You need to calm down Nikki, I have never seen you like this," she said looking at me strangely. I sighed and said, "I'm sorry, I'm just a little jumpy after what happened last night. I'm just really beginning to worry. Please tell me if Melanie found out when my deadline is."

"She asked around and finally just went and talked to him. He said you have 4 months, 5 months at the most. You have a lot of time."

I sighed another sigh of relief.

Madeline's View

"Feel better now?"

"Yes, I'm sorry Maddy."

"No need to apologize. Go take a shower and cool off," I said getting up off the bed and grabbing her hand, pulling her to her feet. She nodded and said, "I think I will."

She walked over to the door but before she walked out, she turned around and said, "Maddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know what's going to happen?"

"What do you mean babe?" I asked looking at her questionably. She stared at me for a moment, but she really wasn't staring at ME. She was looking at me, but by the look of her eyes, she was thinking about something really hard.

"Nikki?" I asked softly, beginning to walk toward her.

"Huh? Oh sorry, never mind," she said shaking her head. She then walked out of the room closing the door behind her. I stared after her bewildered. This wasn't good.

I rushed over to the phone and quickly grabbed it, dialing Melanie's number.

"Pick up, Pick up, you better not be in a meeting right now," I mumbled to myself.

"Hello?"

"Melanie! I need to talk to you," I said quickly.

"About what?" she asked curiously.

"It's about Nicole," I said.

"Oh, how is she doing by the way? We've been pretty entertained with what has been happening, the guys are really enjoying it. You should have seen how Bill reacted to what happened last night! He's really proud of Nikki, can you believe that? Well, I can see why, he's practically raised the girl for the past 2 hund..."

"Melanie, I really need to talk to you about something," I pleaded.

"OK, now I know something bad is happening, you sound a little worried, that's definitely not a good sign," she said.

"No, it's not, I haven't been like this in so many years. I don't know what to do."

"What happened with Nicole? Is she alright?"

"I don't know, I really don't. I have a few ideas in my head of what could be happening and they aren't exactly good."

"Like what?"

"I don't want to talk to you on the phone about them, could you come down here so we could talk?"

"Yeah, no prob, I have to go to the dry cleaners to pick up our new wardrobe..."

"We have a new wardrobe? Since when?" I interrupted.

"Since Eugene went and complained to him about how our old wardrobe is so...old and ugly looking. Eugene thinks we should have newer clothes to make us look more beautiful like we should," she said. I could tell by her voice that she wasn't very happy with Eugene.

"But we've had these clothes since when?"

Melanie laughed and said, "I can't even remember it's been so long but I hear the new wardrobe is actually pretty nice. You'll see them in a few months."

"Yeah, until then I have to wear these clothes. I swear, every time I help a new one out, the style of clothes completely changes. I never get adjusted to it," I laughed. I could hear her laugh along with me and then say, "OK, well, I'll be down there in about 15 minutes, where do you want to meet? At your guys' apartment?"

"No, Nikki will be here, I would like to talk alone. How about the Starbucks down the street?" I asked.

"Sounds good, see you then," Melanie said. I clicked the "Talk" button and tossed the phone on the bed sighing deeply. I was beginning to become real worried with Nicole's behavior and for me to become worried or even a little upset is very unusual. Something was happening to Nicole that didn't feel right. Something was going to happen, I could feel it in my gut, I just didn't know what. All I know is that when someone like me gets a feeling like this, it's either really good, or it's really bad. As much as I hated to admit it, but I was leaning toward the really bad.
Chapter 12 by DaniGiggles
Madeline's View

"OK, I'm eager to hear what this is all about," Melanie said as she sat down across from me.

"You won't be after I tell you," I said.

"What is it? Can it really be that bad?"

"Yes, it can, anything can be THAT bad," I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Will you spill it already?"

I sighed and nodded, "You know Brian right?"

Her eyes got wide and she put her hand on her chest, "No! Of course not! I've only been watching him for the past 2 months!"

"Ha ha, funny, but seriously Melanie," I said looking at her sternly.

"Sorry, I was trying to lighten up your mood, it's not a good sign to be acting the way you are."

"And you think that I don't know that? It's just the living conditions that are affecting me, you know it happens sometimes."

"True, but what is wrong with Nicole?"

"Well, I'm not really sure but I have a few theories."

"Like?" she pushed.

"She's been really emotional lately," I stated. Melanie's eyes grew wide with panic.

"Has she been crying!?" she exclaimed. I looked around to find a few people looking at us oddly.

"Sorry, sorry," I apologized, looking at all of them. I then turned to Melanie and whispered, "No, not yet."

"YET!? Maddy! This isn't good! What's going on!? Tell me this instant," Melanie demanded.

"Melanie, will you calm down? This isn't THAT big of a deal," I said, looking around us nervously. People were giving us odd looks again.

"Not that big of a deal? NOT that big of a deal!? This is definitely a big deal!" she burst. I rushed to my feet and grabbed her hand, "Come on."

"Where are we going?" she asked, picking up her jacket before exiting Starbucks.

"Where people won't give us weird looks," I said walking down the sidewalk.

"Maddy! You have to tell me, what do you mean by emotional? I hope to God that she hasn't cried."

I looked over at her and saw her panic stricken face.

"She hasn't started crying OK?"

"Yeah, YET. When you say emotional, that's something very bad," she said. "Fill me in on the details please before I die again. One death is enough for me Maddy, I don't need another!"

I couldn't help but smile at her last remark.

"I never fully noticed it until today when she came banging on my door. She was frantic. Her face was full of worry."

"What was she worried about?"

"Sleeping with Brian," I said. Melanie nodded and said, "So you're saying she was upset?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"Ooooh, this isn't good, this isn't good at all," Melanie said quickly rushing over to a bench and sitting down. I followed right behind her.

"How upset was she?"

"She was...well..."

"Don't tell me she was near tears," Melanie shook her head. I sighed and nodded my head slowly, "She was near tears."

"NO! This can't happen! I knew I shouldn't have gotten her this project, I just knew it! This is going to ruin my reputation...oh my gosh, this is going to ruin her!" Melanie exclaimed jumping to her feet.

"What do you mean? This can't possibly harm her can it?" I asked quickly, staring at Melanie bewildered.

"Didn't you take the classes Maddy? You've been doing this for how long? This could seriously harm her."

"You don't think she's fall..."

"That's the only explanation Maddy," Melanie interrupted.

"But, couldn't the sleeping with him just be affecting her a little? Since it was her first time..."

Melanie looked at me thoughtfully for a moment and slowly sat back down, "That could be true. Has anything unusual been happening? Like anything out of the ordinary."

I looked down and thought hard. A lot of things have been happening, but not enough for me to really notice. I've been keeping a watch on the two of them, but not as closely as I probably should have. Things have probably been going on that I don't even know about.

"Maddy, are you sure this just started today?" she asked putting her hand on my hand.

I looked up at her and as much as I wanted to tell her yes, I knew I couldn't.

"No," I said. Melanie sighed deeply.

"We have to get her off this project," she said. I looked at her in surprise, "Melanie, you can't!"

"I don't see why not, it will protect her AND Brian."

"But what if this is a good thing?"

"It's only a good thing when everything is followed through correctly and if it's actually supposed to follow through."

"This has happened before hasn't it?"

"Yes, once, but it didn't work out."

"What happened?"

"Man, didn't Bill ever tell you stories? He's been there longer than any of us, he's seen and heard everything. You've never heard of what happened with Leslie and Joshua?"

I shook my head slowly and said, "No."

"Leslie was one of us and Joshua was some prince or something back in the old days, but anyway, things happened, like the things that are beginning to happen now. They were happy for a little while but something terrible happened, I don't know exactly what, but she went...well...you know."

"Oh my gosh, that's horrible!"

She nodded and said, "I don't want to see that happen to Nikki."

"You don't know for sure that it will," I said.

"So? It's better to be safe than sorry."

"But what if something good can come out of this? I mean, what if it's meant to happen?"

"I would have been notified if it was meant to happen Maddy," she said. I sighed and said, "Just give her a couple more weeks, a month, 2, but please don't take her off of it now. She's just starting to warm up..."

"A little too much if you ask me."

"Melanie come on, this is her first time, and she's doing a rather good job. She's on her way to fixing Brian. Please."

Melanie sat there for a moment and finally sighed, defeated, "Fine, but if something happens that I'm definitely not comfortable with, I'm pulling her out, got it?"

I smiled gratefully and said, "Thank you Melanie."

A Few Days Later

Brian's View


"Wakey wakey," I whispered as I tickled Nicole's nose with a white rose. She shifted where she laid in the middle of my white covers and groaned.

"Come on, wake up," I smiled. I saw a smile form on her face and then her eyes began to open.

"Why did you wake me up? I was having a nice dream," she said poking my chest. We laid in my bed facing each other under my white covers.

"Oh really? And what were you dreaming about?" I asked as she took the white rose out of my hand. She smelled it and looked into my eyes smiling. She then whispered, "It's a secret."

"A secret you can tell me," I grinned. She shook her head and said, "Nope, if it's a secret, it's meant to be kept from you."

I stuck out my bottom lip and said, "Secrets don't make friends!"

She laughed and began to get out of bed.

"Oh no you don't," I said, wrapping my arm around her bare waist and pulling her down next to me, planting a soft kiss on her lips afterwards.

"We can't lay in here all day," she giggled.

"I don't see why not," I said draping my arm across her bare body and setting my head on her chest. She laughed and wiggled out of my grasp, "Come on, get up, lets go see a movie or something."

I looked over at the clock on the in table next to my bed and said, "At 9 in the morning?"

"I didn't mean like right now! I mean later. We can go to the beach or something," she said gathering her clothes from the night before. I propped myself up on my shoulder and stared her.

"What?" she smiled a little shyly.

"You're beautiful," I said softly. She bit her lip and said, "Thank you."

"But hey, I was going out with Nick and AJ today anyway to go shopping or something since I haven't hung out with them for a while. Is that cool?"

"Yeah, I don't see why not. It's not like we're in a relationship Bri," she said pulling her shirt over her head. I frowned when she said that.

"Nicole, I've been thinking..." I began, but stopped.

"About what?" she asked as she pulled her jeans on, buttoning and zipping them.

"About us."

"What about us?"

"Well, you know I wasn't too open for a relationship before all this right?"

"Right," she said slowly.

"I really like you Nicole and I was hoping that maybe we could start a relationship, maybe one that could turn serious. I know this kind of came out of the blue, but it's been bothering me and I wanted to talk to you about it. So, what do you say?"

She stood there and stared at me with her mouth hanging slightly open. She was shocked, that was apparent.

"I...um..."

I sat up in bed and said quickly, "I'm sorry that I brought it up. It's just that I think we have something good going on, and I think that we should do something about it."

She shifted her eyes nervously away from mine and quickly gathered the rest of her things.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," she said hurriedly exiting the room. I looked after her shocked, "What...WAIT!"

I scrambled out of bed, quickly pulling my boxers on. I ran out of the room and down the marble staircase.

"Nicole! Wait! Stop!" I yelled flying out the door.

"Brian, I need to go," she said, frantically trying to open her door. I walked up to her and couldn't help but smile, "Maybe it would help if you unlocked the door."

She stopped pulling on the handle and stood there a little embarrassed.

"Nicole, please don't be mad at me, I was only asking," I said. She fiddled with her hands and said, "I know, I was just surprised."

"Something tells me there's more to it than that," I said.

"There isn't," she shook her head. I knew she was lying. I could tell because whenever she talked to me she would look me in the eye, and right now, she wasn't. This is the first time she hasn't looked me in the eye while talking.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked

She shook her head and said, "Of course not!"

"Then what is it? Why don't you want to be with me? I see something great between us but obviously you aren't seeing anything! Are you just using me for the sex or something!?" I said, getting a little angry. I was more upset than anything.

She looked up at me with surprise, "No! I would never do that!"

"Then what the hell is going on!? All I did was suggest we start a relationship, a relationship that I'm willing to do! I'm not willing to do this with anybody else Nicole! I like you, I like you a lot, but it's like you don't feel anything towards me! If you did, you would have at least given me a straight answer up there! It was a yes or no question! So what is it? Yes or no?"

"I have to go," she said unlocking the car and pulling the handle. I pushed the door shut and said a little more calmer, "What do I have to do? What do I have to do to get you to be with me? I want to be with you Nicole, can't you see that?"

"Brian, you don't understand!" Nicole said looking up into my eyes. Looking at her face shocked me. I have never seen a person have that much pain in their eyes. It was like she was trying to let something go, but that something couldn't be let go.

"What don't I understand Nicole!?"

"Even if I told you, you wouldn't understand!"

What she just said made my anger explode.

"I wouldn't huh? How would you know!? You wouldn't! You haven't told me one fucking thing about you! I know NOTHING about you! I don't even know your last name! I don't know where you came from! I don't know anything about your family except that Madeline is your sister! I don't know who your friends are! I know nothing about your life! I don't know anything! So why don't you enlighten me a little huh? Why don't you tell me something about yourself for once!? Why does it always have to be about me!? I want to know stuff about you Nicole! God, I don't know why, but normally I wouldn't want to be with someone I didn't know anything about, but I want to be with you and when I tell you, you freak out on me! What the hell are you holding back!? What is that you're keeping to yourself!?" I yelled. She stared at me with those pain filled eyes, flinching now and then at the words I was saying.

"You wouldn't understand," she softly said.

"Fine! Go! I don't care!" I yelled angrily, taking my hand off the door and stomping up the steps to my house. I slammed the door behind me, clenching my fist and punching the wall next to me.

What did I do wrong? What is it about me that lures girls to hurt me? All I wanted was to be with her, that was all. Just when things started to get better for me, this had to happen. I'm back at first base again, a place that I was at for a very long time. I was running toward home plate. I would have been there right now if Nicole had just said yes, but instead, she didn't answer me at all. She ran out on me. What am I supposed to do with that? I have never been rejected like that before in my life. It hurt me terribly that she wouldn't give me a reason, saying that I wouldn't understand. I just don't find it fair how I put my trust in her and I told her almost everything about me, but yet, it was like she didn't trust me enough to even tell me her last name. So why do I still feel the same strong feelings for her?

"Because you fell in love with her," I whispered softly to myself as I slid down the wall and put my head in my hands, letting the tears that I haven't cried in weeks, start to flow.
Chapter 13 by DaniGiggles
Later That Day

Nick's View


"He said he'd meet us at the mall didn't he?" I asked looking over at AJ. AJ nodded and said, "Yeah."

"Maybe he waited for us some place else," I said. AJ looked over at me and slid his glasses down to his nose, "Do you really believe that?"

I stared at him and then shrugged, "I guess not. Man, why didn't he show up?"

"How should I know? Maybe he got sick or somethin', that's why we're heading over to his house," AJ said.

"Still, do you think he's OK?"

"Normally I'd smack you upside the head and say you were overreacting, but under these circumstances, I'm not going to."

"So you're saying he isn't? Dude, you sure know how to comfort someone."

"Did I say anything? No, but I will be honest and say that something isn't right."

"Did he call you up or somethin'?"

He shook his head.

"How do you know then?"

"I just know," he shrugged. I rolled my eyes and said, "Whatever."

"Ow! What was that for?" I exclaimed, rubbing my head after a hand collided with the side of my head.

"I felt like it," AJ smiled over at me. "OK, we're here, get out of the car."

"Pushy, pushy, maybe I should break off your rear view mirror," I grinned widely at him.

"If you did, you know what would happen wouldn't you?" he smiled the same grin towards me. I mumbled under my breath and got out of the car.

"Looks like Nikki's been here," AJ said, taking his glasses off.

"Why do you say that?"

AJ bent down and picked up something shiney from the asphalt.

"Question answered?" he asked as he held up the silver necklace with the cross dangling from it. I nodded and then said, "You don't think they've been..."

AJ grinned and said, "What the hell do you think? Brian's been lonely, it doesn't surprise me."

I frowned and followed AJ up the steps to the door, "But isn't he still hooked on Leigh?"

"Last time I checked yeah, but I don't see any reason why he can't see other women."

"I know but I mean, is he just using her?" I asked as AJ rang the doorbell. He looked over at me and said, "Does Brian seem like the type of guy to use a girl for sex?"

"Well, no, but he's changed," I pointed out.

"Maybe he has, but he hasn't changed to some asshole shithead."

"True," I nodded.

"Man, he's home. His cars are all here," he stated, glancing at the filled driveway.

"Maybe he's at the beach or somethin'."

AJ frowned and rang the doorbell again.

"No, he would be able to hear it."

"Not unless he's way down the beach."

AJ, being the impatient one he is, decided to just open the door and walk in. I hesitated but followed in after him, closing the door softly behind me.

"Yo Bri! It's Bone and Kaos, you here dude?" AJ yelled out. After AJ's statement, the sound of a car crashing came from the living room.

"He's watching TV," I said walking past AJ and toward the living room.

"Bri?" I asked walking into the room.

"Oh man," AJ said quietly as he walked up next to me. Oh man was right. I couldn't even say anything. I have never seen Brian look the way he did now, ever.

Brian was on a reclining chair, in his boxers, remote on his lap and a shot glass in his left hand. As we walked in, Brian looked over at us with his dirty ruffled up hair, flushed tear streaked face, and red puffy eyes.

"Brian, what happened?" I questioned, quickly walking over to him and kneeling down. Brian looked at me for a second and then moved his eyes slowly toward the TV.

"He's drunk," AJ stated as he picked up a couple of bottles off the floor.

"No, I'm not," Brian croaked.

"Sure as hell looks like it to me. I would know."

"I'm not. I had a few drinks. Leave me alone," Brian grumbled.

"What's wrong Brian?" I asked. I was worried out of my mind.

"Nothing of your concern," he stated.

"I'll beat it out of him," AJ said, cracking his knuckles. Even though I knew he was kidding, I still held out my arm to stop him.

"Is it about Leigh?" I asked quietly. He then took his eyes off the TV and slowly looked over at me.

"Who the hell is Leigh?"

"Don't play stupid," I said.

"Are you talking about the Leigh that I was with for 2 years? Are you talking about the Leigh that I was prepared to marry? Are you talking about the Leigh that left me one morning over some stupid fight? Are you talking about the Leigh that tore my heart out and stomped all over it? Please don't say you are talking about that Leigh, because I warn you, if you are, I am going to kick the living shit out of you," he said staring at me with dull red water filled eyes. His lips barely moved as he spoke. I just stared at him in shock.

"Yes, we're talking about that Leigh, now what the hell is going on? What the hell happened to you?" AJ questioned. Leave it to AJ to be blunt. Brian just turned his attention back to the TV.

I was beginning to get frustrated. I snatched the remote from his lap and turned the TV off, getting to my feet in the process.

"Dammit Brian! What has happened to you!? You haven't been yourself in so long! All of us have been hoping and praying that you would come talk to us about what has been bothering you, but it doesn't look like you're going to do anything! Are you just going to let whatever the hell is bothering you keep bothering you for the rest of your life!?"

"Sounds good to me," he mumbled.

"Lets throw him in the shower," AJ said grabbing Brian's arm firmly and yanking him out of the chair.

"Get the fuck off me!" Brian yelled angrily, yanking his arm violently from AJ's grasp. AJ and I stood there staring at him in, maybe not shock, but bewilderment. Never once has Brian blown up like that.

"You guys have no fucking idea what I have been going through lately! No idea at all! My life is a piece of shit! I have nothing to live for! I'm tired of it! I'm tired of living! I'm tired of singing! I'm tired of touring! I'm tired of having to wake up every morning at 5! I'm tired of dancing! I'm tired of doing those stupid photo shoots! I'm tired of working my ass off! And for what? For what!? To satisfy people all over the world!? What about me!? Huh!? What about me!? I'm supposed to be satisfying me first! Do I look satisfied!? If I do, then you better open your fucking eyes because I'm not! I hate everything right now! Absolutely everything!"

I reached out my hand to touch his arm gently but he pulled away, wiping the tears that were glistening on his cheeks away. There was no point, new tears just replaced them.

"You don't understand what I'm feeling," he said a little calmer. "You don't understand how much pain I'm feeling. I have never in my life felt like this. I didn't even know this type of pain existed, but I found out that it did 6 months ago. 6 months I've been tortured, 6 months I have been covering everything up, hoping that it would go away. Things just got worse, they got so horrible. I can't take it anymore...I can't take it anymore!!!"

"Brian, why didn't you tell us sooner?" I asked softly, tears stinging my eyes. Seeing my best friend in the state he was in just tore my heart out. He didn't deserve to feel the way he was. I always looked up to him, always wanting to be like him, always thinking that he had it perfect, but hearing what he was just saying told me that his life was far from perfect.

"Because I knew that it would ruin the group, I knew that it would ruin friendships. I knew that it would ruin everything. You have no idea how long I wanted to talk to somebody, but everytime that I even thought about telling someone, I would just push the thought away because I thought it would make things worse. I just want to be happy and..." he looked down and closed his eyes tight. Tears fell from his eyes like rain drops. He took in a deep shaky breath and opened his mouth to speak, his bottom lip trembling, "I'm not."

AJ and I stood there not moving, not knowing what to say or do. Everything that had just happened was unbelievable. I couldn't think clearly. I was in utter bewilderment. My best friend, a man who has had such a great life, a man who is part of the most famous boy band around, a man that so many people adore, was in a depression. Even thinking of him being in a depression is absurd.

"What's going on?"

I spun around and saw Nicole standing in the entrance of the living room, staring at us with a look of worry.

"What are you doing here?" Brian croaked, tears flowing from his eyes.

"Brian, what's wrong?" she asked walking further into the room.

"What are you doing here?" he repeated. Nicole looked at him with a very hurt expression and said softly, "I lost my necklace and I thought...I thought I might have left it here."

"Here," AJ said extending his hand with the necklace dangling from his fingers. She gently took it and then said, "Can you guys leave us alone for a couple minutes?"

"Hell no, look at him, we're not leaving him like this," AJ said shaking his head firmly.

"Please," she said looking at us pleadingly. I nodded and said, "Come on Bone."

"But..."

"Just come on," I said grabbing his arm lightly. AJ frowned defeated and slowly walked out after us.

Brian's View

I wiped my cheeks quickly with my shaky hands.

"I'm not going to tell you what's wrong," I stated.

"I don't need to know what's wrong, I already know," she said softly. I looked over at her and found her looking at me worried.

"Then why did you ask what was wrong?"

"To make them think that I needed them to go so you can tell me what was wrong. I heard everything Brian."

"Yeah and you probably think I'm some freak too now huh?"

"Why would I ever think that?" she asked coming closer to me.

"That's what they all think! I'm depressed and when people go into depressions, their friends look at them differently."

"They don't think any differently of you. I don't think any differently of you. You should know that Brian. They're your family. They love you to death, and just by looking at their faces, I could tell that they were scared out of their mind. They're terrified for you Brian and they want to help. So do I."

I shook my head and said, "No one can help me. You don't know how deep I'm in this. You don't know how horrible I feel everyday. You don't know how lonely I am."

Nicole walked in front of me and stood there looking up at me. If any of the guys had come that close, I would had immediately moved away, but I couldn't get myself to do that with Nicole.

She frowned deeply and tilted her head to the side. She raised her hand and gently touched my cheek. She wiped a few of my tears away and softly said, "You'd be surprised."

I looked down at her a little puzzled at what she just said.

"You know I'm here for you right? As are your family and the guys. You aren't alone in this Brian. We're going to help you. Maybe you don't think you can be helped, but you can and you're going to be fine. I just wish you would have talked to somebody before this got out of hand."

"I was scared," I said quietly. "I'm still scared."

She looked up at me and softly stroked my cheek. As hard as it was to believe, her touch made a lot of my pain go away. She then wrapped me in a hug, pulling me to her tightly.

"I'm so scared," I cried into her shoulder. She rubbed my back and said, "You won't be for long. You're going to be OK. Come one, you need to get some rest."

She pulled away and looked up into my face. I took in a shaky breath and nodded. She slightly smiled and took my hand, leading me out of the room and up the stairs.

Nicole's View

"Don't tell me you're going to go screw him to make him feel better," I heard AJ mumble. I knew Brian didn't hear it but if he did, he would have blown up once more which didn't really need to happen right now. Nick punched his arm and said, "Shut up AJ."

"He needs to rest, I'm taking him to his room," I said not looking back.

"Is he going to be OK?" Nick asked, his voice full of worry. I let go of Brian's hand and let him walk down the hall. I then turned around and gave him an assuring smile, "He's going to be."

Nick nodded and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

I walked down the hall toward Brian's room. I looked in and found him sitting on his bed looking down at his hands that were resting quietly in his lap, crying lightly to himself. I walked in and over to him.

"Lie down," I softly said, pulling back his covers. He silently laid down and sunk down into the white covers. I brought the covers up over his body and kneeled down next to him.

"I'm sorry," he blurted out. I looked down at him and asked, "Why?"

"About earlier, about how I blew up at you. I didn't mean to yell the way I did. I know I hurt you, I could tell by the look on your face. It's just that with everything going on, I guess when you didn't answer me, I just kind of...blew up."

"You don't need to be sorry. You should only be sorry when you did something wrong, and you didn't do anything wrong OK?" I said softly. He looked into my eyes and even though his mouth wasn't smiling, his eyes were.

"Nicole, I need to tell you something..."

"Tell me later. Right now you need to rest," I said. He stared at me for a moment and then nodded. I began to get up but he lightly touched my hand, "Will you stay until I fall asleep?"

I looked down at him and smiled, "Of course."

Brian's View

I sighed and closed my eyes. All the crying that I had just got done doing made me extremely tired. Just lying in that bed for a minute almost made me fall asleep in an instant, but before I could drift off to sleep, a soft soothing voice filled the air. It took me a minute to actually figure out what it was, and when I did, I was sort of shocked. Nicole was singing. I knew her voice was beautiful but I didn't know it was this beautiful. It was like an angel was singing.

"Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking, when there are clouds in the sky you'll get by, if you smile through your fears and sorrows, smile let me be tomorrow, you'll see the sun come shining through...if you...light up your face with gladness, hide every trace of sadness, although a tear may be ever so near, that's the time you must keep on trying...smile...what's the use in crying? You'll find that life is still worth while...if you...just...smile..."

Her voice faded away and when she was done, she slowly got up, kissed my cheek softly and whispered in my ear, "Just smile."

After I heard my door close lightly, as hard as it was not to, I smiled.
Chapter 14 by DaniGiggles
A Week Later

AJ's View


"I swear your owner needs to lock you in a cage and throw away the key," I muttered. "Oh don't look at me like that! You know damn well that you aren't supposed to be out here."

I looked down at Tyk's face and couldn't help but feel sorry for what I had just said. The way he was looking at me made it seem like he actually understood me.

"I'm too much of a softy," I grumbled as I carried Tyk up the steps and to the front door. I rang the doorbell and waited.

"You better be thankful that I brought you back. I bet Brian's worried about you, you know. You could have been ran over," I said sternly. I must have looked stupid talking to a dog, but hey, who cares right?

Just when I was about to ring the doorbell again the door opened and Brian stood before me in a T-shirt, khaki shorts, and a baseball cap on backwards. He looked at me strangely and then said, "What are you doin' with my dog?"

"No no, the question is what was your dog doing out on the street?" I said dropping Tyk into Brian's hands and walking past him.

"He was getting the newspaper," he said closing the door. He set Tyk down and walked past me.

"Getting the newspaper? You taught him to get the newspaper? You have too much time on your hands. You should have called me or something. I could have kept you occupied," I said following close behind him.

"Is it really that big of a deal? A lot of dogs know how to fetch the newspaper," he shrugged entering the kitchen.

"Yeah if your idea of having a wet and soggy newspaper to read every morning appeals to you then whatever floats your boat. It's not like Vegas or JD can get it anyway, look how small they are," I said jumping up onto the counter.

"Then get a bigger dog," he stated opening the refrigerator door.

"Hell no," I said. He took a gulp out of the orange juice carton and looked at me, "Why not?"

"Do you think a gigantic dog attracts the ladies? No, little dogs like Vegas attract them. You know why? Because they're cute. Girls like cute. They don't like ugly," I said rolling my eyes.

"You're too much," Brian shook his head as he placed the orange juice back into the refrigerator.

"Thank you."

"Now what do you want?" Brian asked staring at me curiously.

"What do I want?"

"Yes, what do you want? You didn't just come by here to make sure that my dog didn't turn into road kill."

"'Tis true, I came to see how you were doing."

"Oh," he said making his way around the counter and exiting the kitchen. I stared after him and then jumped off the counter, rushing to catch up with him.

"Well?"

"Well what?" he asked glancing back at me.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm better I guess," he shrugged plopping down on the living room couch.

"You guess?" I asked sitting down next to him.

"Yeah," he said taking the remote in his hand and turning the TV on. I snatched the remote away from him and turned the TV off. He looked over at me irritated.

"Talk to me," I pleaded. I could tell by the look on his face that I must have looked pathetic, but it was working.

"What do you want to know?" he asked.

"Anything, everything, just talk to me. I hate how you won't talk to any of us."

"I'm talking to you now aren't I?"

"You know what I mean. You won't talk to us about what's bothering you so we can help. It's like your back where you started, just covering things up. We don't want you to stay like this forever."

"It's not like I'm not talking to anybody AJ."

"Then who are you talking to? The guys all say that you won't talk to them. Wait, have you been talking to Nikki?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "I don't know, it's like she understands me. It's just easy to talk to her about these things you know?"

"And it's not easy to talk to us about it?"

"Well, no."

"Why? You've known all of us way longer than you have known her," I said. To be honest, I was hurt that he would talk to a girl that he hardly knew, actually from what I have heard, knows nothing about, but won't talk to his best friends.

"I'm just afraid that you guys will turn around and walk away. I'm too close to you guys, I know what you guys do in these situations."

"What do you mean 'what we do in these situations'? Are you saying that we would walk out on you and not care?"

He slowly nodded.

"What the hell Brian? I thought we have made it quite clear that we are always here for you. None of us would ever, EVER, do that to you. We are so scared right now. We're all afraid that we're gonna wake up one day to a phone call informing us that our brother Brian has died from killing himself the night before. I am so scared for you. I'm so scared for all of us. How are we supposed to get through this if you won't talk to us about it? I want to help. We all want to help and even though you think that we would turn away from you, it's not true. You shouldn't think that. I'm turning corny on you I know, and it's weird, but I have never been this serious before in my life. Brian, I love you like a brother, and I would do anything for you to be happy, anything."

Brian stared at me and if my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, I could have sworn that I saw tears glistening in the corner of his eyes.

"I just don't know what to do anymore," he finally stated after a few minutes of silence. My heart about leapt out of my chest. He was going to talk to me.

That Night

Nicole's View


"Tell me, when did you intend to tell me that you could sing?" Brian asked looking over at me. I leaned on the balcony wall and glanced at him, "I can't sing."

"What?" he scoffed. "That's not what I heard! You sing amazing."

"Thank you."

"Ever thought of getting a record deal?" he asked. I shook my head and firmly said, "No."

"Why not?"

I shrugged and said, "I can't."

"You can't?"

"No."

He looked at me confused and shook his head, "I'm a little lost here. Why can't you?"

"I just can't," I said. I was groping my mind for a better explanation but nothing was coming to me.

"Nicole, we need to talk," he said quietly. I looked over at him nervously from the tone of his voice.

"About what?"

"Just some things. First off, I wanted to thank you for helping me out lately, you know, talking to me and everything. It's helped out a lot, and I feel much better."

"You're welcome," I said.

"It's just, why don't you ever talk about where you lived or where you grew up?"

I looked down and sighed, "I guess I just don't find it very interesting."

"I bet that I would find it interesting. I find everything about you interesting."

I looked over at him and found him staring at me intently.

"Please tell me something, anything," he pleaded. I wanted to tell him everything. I wanted to tell him about my parents, I wanted to tell him about where I lived and how I grew up, I wanted to tell him about my most embarrassing moment or the happiest day of my life, but the truth of the matter is, is that I simply couldn't. Why may you ask? It's because I don't remember. I don't remember hardly anything.

I frowned and said softly, "I can't."

He looked at me hurtfully, "Do you not trust me? Why can't you tell me?"

"No, I do trust you, it's just that, I just...can't. I can't explain it. You don't understand," I said, trying to find the right words to say. He looked over at me blankly. I was making him upset and I really shouldn't have.

"Why don't you help me understand? I don't understand why I wouldn't understand. I just want to know where you lived or what your parents names are. Is that so hard?"

I nodded my head slowly, "Yes."

"Why?" he asked looking at me confused. He was becoming frustrated.

"Because...because I just don't remember," I finally said. He stared at me puzzled, "You don't remember?"

I shook my head.

"Did something happen accident-wise for you not to remember?" he said, trying to find some sort of explanation for such a strange statement. He was trying to be patient, trying to understand.

"I suppose you could say that..."

"I'm sorry," he frowned. "What happened?"

I shook my head, at a loss. What was I supposed to tell him? I couldn't very well lie could I? But then all of a sudden, my mouth opened and words spilled out of my mouth, "Maddy and I got in a car accident a few years back. I had pretty bad injuries to my head and it's affected my memory."

He looked at me sadly, "Sort of like amnesia?"

"Yeah, I guess so..." I said, frowning. I couldn't believe I had flat out lied to him.

"Why didn't you tell me? I wouldn't have gotten so mad before if you would have just told me."

"I guess...I don't know," I said looking away from him. I was growing uncomfortable. I had just told my first lie towards him and I knew that wasn't good. Someone like me can't lie, at least as far as I knew I couldn't.

Brian set his hand gently on my shoulder. I looked over at him and found him smiling at me lightly.

"You OK?" he asked. I gave him a small smile and said, "I should be asking you that."

"I'm fine, but you don't seem to be," he said. I looked up at him and as I stared into the eyes that stared back at mine, eyes that were so caring, so unbelievably caring. I felt something in the pit of my stomach form that I have never felt before. It felt nice, but it scared me.

"I'm OK," I said smiling lightly. He leaned in and brushed his lips against mine.

"Good," he grinned. He then took my hand and pulled me inside, "I got an idea. Lets go watch Casper!"

I couldn't help but laugh at his giddiness. Whatever I was doing was working. Him and I have had several talks during the past few days and each time we talked, I could tell by the look in his eyes that he was getting better. It made me glad, but it also saddened me. It only meant that once he has fully recovered I would have to leave. To be truthful, I didn't want to.

Not wanting to go back and wanting to stay here sort of scared me, just like that feeling had and how I lied. I don't know what was happening, I don't know if it was a sign of some sort, I don't know if it's good or bad, I don't know if it's all normal, but all I knew was that I wasn't told this would happen. I needed to talk to Maddy and quick.
Chapter 15 by DaniGiggles
Nicole's View

Closing the door behind me, I fumbled for the light switch on the wall. I hope Maddy is home, I really have to talk to her. I set down my car keys and purse on the table.

"Maddy?" I called, taking off my jacket and hanging it on the coat hanger. "Maddy, I need to talk to you."

I made my way to the kitchen and turned the light on.

"Boo!"

Screaming, I turned around and found Maddy laughing.

"You're a jumpy one aren't you?" she smiled opening the refrigerator.

"You would be too if someone grabbed you out of no where," I said taking an apple from the bowl of fruit on the counter in the kitchen.

"What's up? How'd tonight go with Brian?" she asked.

"Pretty good, we talked a little and watched Casper. He's doing really well. He's a lot happier now that he has everything out in the open," I said taking a bite of the apple.

"That's what I heard. In fact, he's doing so well..." she stopped and smiled widely at me.

"What?" I asked curiously.

"We get to go home next Monday," she grinned jumping up on the counter.

"Wha...what? But Maddy, that's 3 days away. He's really that much better?" I asked in shock. She nodded her head vigorously.

"But..."

"But what?" she asked narrowing her eyes.

"I just...Maddy we can't leave," I shook my head unbelievingly.

"You mean you don't want to leave," she stated bluntly. She didn't phrase it as a question. She said it as if she already knew.

I shook my head slowly, "No, I don't."

"Why?" she asked staring at me intently. I set down my apple and took a deep breath, "I don't know."

"Good reason."

"Lay off the sarcasm Maddy," I said a little annoyed.

"What is up with you Nikki?" she asked looking at me strangely. Was that worry in her eyes?

"I don't know Maddy, I'm just really confused right now," I said.

"You seem upset," Maddy said. My head snapped up and I quickly said, "I do?"

She nodded her head, "I guess that's normal. Some people get attached a little too much, but once they head home they ease off a little."

"Oh," my heart beat was racing but it slowed down at her words. They were comforting but not as comforting as I would have hoped. There was something else that she didn't know, something that I couldn't explain.

"I know you're going to miss him honey but it's not like we can stay here forever. We gotta move on to bigger and better things. You did a great job with Brian, now you can go on to harder cases," she said getting off the counter and walking over to me. I looked down at the floor absorbing everything that she was telling me. She's right. I did my job and now I have to go home and wait for another. This is how my life, if that's what you want to call it, is.

I shook off the feelings that I was having at the moment and decided to just go with the flow. That's really the only thing I could do in the position that I was in.

The Next Day

Brian's View


"Aren't your closets full?" I asked as I eyed AJ's bags in his hands. He shook his head and said, "Nah."

I shrugged and said, "Okay then."

"Oh oh oh oh! Stop!" Nick exclaimed zooming in front of me and rushing into the store to our left. I looked up and found it to be a video game store. Apparently they were having a sale on all Mario Games.

"What you should be asking, Rok, is if he already has all existing Nintendo games," AJ grumbled as he walked into the store after Nick. I couldn't help but laugh.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" AJ burst as we left the store. Nick looked over at him and his goofy grin wiped off his face. "What do you mean?"

"Are you ever going to grow out of those?" AJ questioned motioning toward the bag Nick was gripping. Nick's smile formed on his face again and said, "Are you crazy? Never!"

"Hey guys, could we stop by the jewelers really quick?" I asked as I spotted the jewelry store at the corner.

"I suppose so," Nick sighed heavily. I rolled my eyes and walked ahead of him.

"You suppose so? You're getting ready for an ass whooping that's what I suppose!" AJ said pushing Nick.

"Man, lay off, I was only joking!" Nick exclaimed. He was getting angry, that was evident.

"Stop before you guys attract too much attention," I hissed looking at the both of them. They nodded and walked the rest of the way quietly.

"What are you looking for?" Nick asked eyeing the many different cases. I shrugged and just said, "Something nice."

"For Nicole," AJ whispered to Nick.

"I heard that," I said looking at the rings.

"You aren't going to propose to her are you?" Nick asked seriously. I laughed and looked over at him weirdly.

"What? I was just asking!"

"Just 'cause I'm in here doesn't mean I'm going to buy an engagement ring Frack," I laughed shaking my head.

"Yeah, besides, they aren't even a couple," AJ said looking at the necklace cases. I just nodded.

"Jeez, I was just asking," Nick mumbled. I walked over to where AJ stood and knelt down examining the necklaces more closely. AJ said something to Nick and they both moved to the back of the store looking at ridiculously large diamonds.

"Hello, can I help you?" I heard a female voice ask from above me. Startled, I stood up quickly and looked up at the girl. My mouth dropped open and my eyes got wide. She did the same.

"Leigh..." I breathed out in shock. She stared at me in complete bewilderment.

"Brian...I...uh..." she shifted her eyes away from mine nervously and bit her lip.

"Wha...what are you doing here?" I asked fidgeting with my hands and licking my lips repeatedly.

"I work here. It's just part time until Charlie gets me another gig," she explained softly. I nodded and started gnawing my bottom lip.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. It was a stupid question really, but what else was she supposed to say? What was I supposed to say?

"Just looking around I guess," I said stuffing my hands in my pockets. She nodded slowly, her long hair falling over her shoulders. God, she's beautiful.

We both grew silent, our eyes not meeting one another.

"Brian..." she said, breaking the silence. I looked up at her and into her eyes. She was staring at me sadly. "I'm sorry."

"About what?" I asked. Another stupid question. Wow I'm just rolling along aren't I?

"About leaving you. I was just so angry. What I did was irrational, I know that," she said. I didn't know what to say so I looked down.

"I miss you," she said quietly. I looked up at her and saw her eyes start to water.

"Then why didn't you come back?" I asked. "Why didn't you call?"

"I was scared and still upset," she said.

"Oh and like I wasn't?" I asked getting angry. "You left me out of the blue!"

"It wasn't just out of the blue! What you said came out of the blue! I didn't know how to handle it!" she exclaimed. She had started crying and I knew soon enough I was going to end up crying also.

"You didn't have to leave me over it!"

"What was I supposed to do!? Just nod my head and act like it didn't bother me!? What was I supposed to do with what you said!?"

We were now causing a scene, drawing attention to us. People walking by the store looked in curiously, and the people in the store were staring at us wide eyed. AJ and Nick both had their mouths open in shock.

Tears started to pour out of my eyes after what she had said.

"So it's my fault that you left!? It's my fault that I plummeted into a depression!?" I yelled. "I admit I don't know why I said what I did, but I said it and I can't take it back! I didn't want to keep it from you!"

I could see her shaking, or was it because I was shaking too?

As I stood there crying like a baby, arguing with my ex-girlfriend about why she left me, the events that happened when she left game rushing back to me.

~Flashback~

"Okay, I just got off the phone with pizza hut. I can't believe how hungry I am," Leighanne said plopping down next to me on the couch. She kissed my cheek and grabbed my hand, leaning her head on my shoulder. I kissed the top of her head and stared blankly at the TV.

"How was your day?" she asked. I shrugged and mumbled, "Same ol' same ol'. Had lunch with an old friend."

"Oh yeah, how'd that go?"

I nodded, "Good."

She smiled, "I'm glad. I went to the mall with Amanda and got a couple new shirts. They're really cute. I could show them to you before we go to bed. I wanna see what you think."

I slowly nodded my head and still stared at the TV, not knowing exactly what I was watching.

"Pepperoni is okay with you right? I know you like cheese but I've been craving pepperoni," she said. I only nodded my head. She took her head off my shoulder and stared at me concerned.

"Honey, are you okay?" she asked. I looked over at her and slightly smiled.

"Sure," I said.

"What's on your mind?" she asked.

"A lot of stuff," I shrugged.

"Like what?" she pushed.

I sighed.

"Leigh baby, I need to tell you something," I said turning serious. She stared at me and said, "All right, what is it?"

"I...I don't really know how to explain it," I frowned.

"Well, try the best you can honey," she said kissing my hand. I sighed and then opened my mouth to speak.

~End of Flashback~


That was it. Well, it wasn't, but that was all I could remember. Well, that wasn't true either. I remember her shocked face, the way her eyes filled up with tears, the way she started screaming, the way she pulled away from me as I tried to touch her hands, to hug her, the way she ran up the stairs bursting into our bedroom, the way she pulled down the suitcases from the closet and threw them on the bed, the way she opened every drawer, throwing everything she could into the awaiting suitcases, the way she screamed at me to shut up...to leave her alone, the way she pushed past me, rushed down the stairs, grabbed Litty, grabbed the keys, ran out of the house, threw everything into her car, and drove off. The only thing I couldn't remember was what I had said to her, what I had said to make her leave.

"You didn't have to tell me you weren't in love with me and never could!" she exclaimed. "You said it so casually! You said it as if you didn't care for me at all!"

I said that? I said that I didn't love her?

"I...uh..." I stumbled over my words.

"I hope you're happy with that Nicole girl!" she was completely hysterical.

"Wha...huh...how did you know about Nicole?" I asked shocked. That did it.

Screaming at me, tears flowing out of her eyes like a hard down pour, her arms flailing, "How did I know!? Don't you remember what you said to me Brian!? You said she was the only reason why you could never love me!"

With that, she turned and stormed away, crying hysterically. I stood there with my mouth wide open, tears still falling out of my eyes, staring after her in complete and utter bewilderment. What she had just said confused me to no end. What she said couldn't possibly have come out of my mouth, just couldn't. I didn't even know Nicole existed until a month or 2 ago, and Leighanne left me 2 months before that. Even though my mind was telling me that what she just told me wasn't true, that I never said it, my heart was telling me something different. My heart was telling me that what she had said was true. What frightened me was that I didn't believe my mind. I believed my heart.
Chapter 16 by DaniGiggles
Nicole's View

"I'll get it!" I yelled to Maddy who was in her bedroom. I set my book to the side and got up, rushing over to the door. I opened the door and was greeted by a teary eyed Brian.

"Brian, wow, what are you doing here?" I asked. My smile wiped off my face as I saw his lip trembling, his eyes red. My eyes furrowed, "What's wrong?"

He didn't answer, he just stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me. I was taken aback but quickly wrapped my arms around him, pulling him close. He was sobbing into my shoulder.

"Shhhh," I soothed, rubbing his back. He was trembling.

"Brian, calm down," I said softly. "Lets get you inside."

He nodded and pulled away from our embrace, wiping his eyes. He moved past me as I closed the door.

"I'm sorry," he said sitting down on the couch. "I didn't know who else to talk to. Nick and AJ were with me but they weren't helping me much, they told me to go home and get some rest. I look like an idiot."

I frowned looking at him on the couch. He was upset and I hated it.

I walked over and sat down next to him, grabbing his hand, "What happened?"

"We were at the mall, Nick, AJ, and I," he began. "We went to the jewelers, just to look around, and Leigh was there."

He frowned, his eyes filling with fresh tears. I wrapped my arm around him and pulled him close. He put his head on my shoulder and started up again, "We got in a fight in front of everybody. She told me...she told me things that I didn't even know I said."

I didn't say anything, I just rested my head on his, listening.

"The look on her face...it was unbearable to look at her. She was hysterical Nicole. I never thought I could make someone that upset," he said quietly.

"What'd she tell you?" I asked.

"That I didn't love her," he stated. "She said I told her I didn't love her."

My mouth dropped open and my heart skipped a beat. What he said couldn't possibly be true, he did love her.

"That can't be true," I said puzzled. He quickly said, "I know, I don't remember saying anything like that, but it's possible that I did tell her that. I don't remember what I did tell her."

His head raised from my shoulder and he wiped the new tears glistening on his cheeks.

"Do you believe her?" I asked slowly.

He frowned and stared down at the floor, thinking about what I had just asked him. Then he slowly nodded his head, "Yeah."

"Why?" I asked.

Still staring at the floor like he was thinking deeply he said, "Because I really don't love her."

"You can't possibly mean that," I shook my head.

He slowly looked up at me and said, "I do though. After the whole mall scene, I got to thinking, especially on the way over here. I remember telling her so many times that I did love her, but then I got to thinking if I really meant it. I didn't. I really didn't mean it. I thought I did, I thought I loved her, but I was only infatuated."

I shook my head unbelievingly. No, he doesn't know what he's saying. He does love her, he's just not thinking clearly. He doesn't understand, he couldn't understand what I knew. I knew he loved her. I knew it for a fact.

"You don't understand," he said looking at me as I shook my head. I stared at him a little shocked.

"I wouldn't?"

"No," he shook his head firmly. I frowned, is that what it felt like to him whenever I told him he wouldn't understand?

Madeline's View

I stared from the dark hallway at the two on the couch, watching as they talked.

"Why?" Nicole asked. She was frowning an awful lot. It wasn't normal.

Brian didn't say anything. He stared at Nicole with his red eyes, and then looked away. God Nicole, don't you SEE it?

She stared at him concerned, reaching for his hand. She took it and squeezed it affectionately.

"What is it?" she asked. She really doesn't see it. She doesn't sense it, but how is that possible? She should sense it, she has to!

Brian shook his head looking at her hurtfully, "Never mind."

"He thought you knew..." I whispered to myself. "He thought you could figure it out. You should have Nicole, you should have. You have a gift people like Brian don't have. Why can't you see what he's feeling? What he's feeling toward you?"

"Brian, I need to tell you something," Nicole said quietly. Brian stared at her and waited for her to go on.

"Please don't get upset okay? I know this isn't a good time to tell you but I need to tell you some time," she sighed, shifting in her seat uncomfortably. Oh God Nicole, what's happening to you?

"What is it?" he asked. She frowned and said softly, "Maddy and I have to leave Monday."

Brian stared at her as if he didn't fully understand, "Where are you going? On vacation?"

She shook her head and looked over at him, "No, not vacation. We're going back home."

"Oh," he said. Nicole could see that he didn't fully understand what she was saying.

"Brian, we're moving back home, we're not going to come back here," she finally said. Brian's mouth parted and he stared at her dumbfounded.

"But, why?" he asked, his voice trembling. Nicole looked down and said quietly, "Because we have to."

Brian didn't push it, maybe because he knew he wouldn't get a straight explanation from her or because he simply couldn't speak. He broke down crying where he sat, crying into his hands. Nicole moved over quickly and wrapped her arms around him. Brian sat up and let her arms envelope him, holding her to him close, never wanting to let her go.

"Why don't you see it Nicole?" I asked looking at the two. "Just look at him."

Brian sat there in Nicole's arms crying, wanting to tell her not to leave.

"He's in love with you honey, he fell in love with you," I said softly. I stared at Nicole as she rubbed his back, frowning so deeply. Her eyes were burning, I could tell. She wanted to let go of something that she knew she couldn't.

"No," I breathed out. "Nicole no."

Nicole buried her head into Brian's shoulder and squeezed him tight.

I looked down finally realizing what was happening, finally realizing why she couldn't see that he loved her, couldn't FEEL that he loved her, finally realizing why she was frowning so much, why her eyes were burning, why she didn't want to leave.

"I told you not to fall in love," I said quietly turning around and walking slowly back to my room. "You didn't listen. Why didn't you listen?"
Chapter 17 by DaniGiggles
The Next Day

Maddy's View


"Thanks for meeting me here 'Tima," I said as I gave Fatima a warm hug.

"No problem girl, what's up?" she asked sitting down on the sidewalk. I sat down next to her and looked out at the park before us. We were about a mile from the apartment.

"Sorry we couldn't meet at the apartment, Brian slept over last night," I explained. She nodded and smiled, "He really likes Nicole."

I nodded my head and said, "I know, it's really obvious. How long has it been?"

"Few weeks I'd say," she shrugged.

"That long?" I asked astonished.

"Yup," she nodded, then she grinned. "Apparently you haven't been watching that well."

"I guess I haven't if he's known he's loved her for that long," I said frowning.

"What's up with the frown?" she asked. I looked over at her as if she were stupid, "Aren't you worried?"

"Nah," she shook her head.

"Then apparently you haven't been watching that closely either," I said.

"Why would you say that?"

"Fatima, you know damn well what's happening. Nicole broke the biggest rule and she doesn't even realize it!"

Fatima looked down and said, "Maybe it was supposed to happen."

I looked at her, "Was it?"

She shrugged and said, "I've been hearing things."

"What sort of things?" I asked curiously.

"Bill's really the one that's been saying the stuff," she said.

"About Nicole?"

She nodded and said, "He knows her best. He's looked after her for how long? He's bound to hear everything from Him first or from the council. He won't say straight up what's going on. I was just up there a couple days ago visiting, seeing what's up and all that, and I ran into him. He was so excited about something. I just figured it was because Nicole succeeded with Brian, but it wasn't that. He wouldn't tell me what it was but I knew, I sensed, that it was something really important."

"What did he tell you?" I asked eager to hear what she had to say.

"That something exciting was going to happen, something that hasn't happened in over a thousand years," she said. I stared at her intently. What could be so exciting that hasn't happened in over a thousand years?

"And it deals with Nicole?"

She nodded and said, "I think so. Even though Bill was excited, I could see in his eyes that he was upset."

"Upset?" I asked a little surprised. "Bill has never been upset."

"Nicole's like his daughter Maddy," she said.

"I know 'Tima, but...gosh I want to know what's going on. I'm worrying my head off at what's going to happen to Nicole."

"We all are, but Bill doesn't seem that worried about it, he's rather excited."

I nodded, "Did you watch what happened last night?"

"Yep."

"With what Brian said and everything?"

She nodded.

"Do you think we should have told Nicole that Brian really didn't love Leighanne?" I asked. Fatima looked down at the grass thinking and then shook her head, "Nah, I don't think we should have."

"We lied to her though," I said starting to frown.

"No, we didn't," she shook her head. "We told her what she needed to know to get the job done. If she knew that he didn't love Leigh it would have affected her performance."

"Brian affected her performance," I mumbled. Fatima put her arm around me and squeezed, "Try not to worry about it. Nicole is a good girl, everyone knows it, including Him. Do you honestly believe he'll send Nicole..."

"No!" I interrupted startled.

"Times have changed Maddy. We shouldn't worry right now. Nicole doesn't even know his feelings for her, let alone hers for him," she said.

"Should we tell her?"

She shook her head and opened her mouth to speak when she suddenly stopped. I heard what she heard too and sighed loudly.

"Group meeting," we both mumbled at the same time. We smiled at each other and then got up.

Brian's View

"I'm going to miss you Nicole," I said as I sat down at the edge of her bed. She came over and sat on my lap, kissing my cheek. She frowned and said softly, "I'm going to miss you too."

"I wish you didn't have to leave. It's so stupid why you do," I said sadly. She ran her hand down my cheek and said, "I know, but I have to, I have no other choice."

"But you do Nicole. You're an adult, you can live here. You could get your own place," I said looking up at her. She frowned and looked away from me, "I wish it were that simple."

"It is that simple Nicole," I said taking my hand and gently making her look at me. She shook her head, "No Brian, it's not."

"Is this something else I wouldn't understand?" I asked quietly. She stared at me and slowly nodded, "I'm sorry."

I looked down, "I wish you'd give me a chance to understand."

She tilted her head and made me look up at her. She was smiling at me lightly. She leaned in, brushed her lips up against mine and then whispered in my ear, "Just smile."

I smiled slightly and said, "I forgot to give you something."

She got up from my lap so I could get up. I went across the room to my jacket and pulled a couple white roses out of my coat pocket. I turned around and saw her smiling at me.

"This one is for last night and this one is for today," I smiled handing them to her. She took them and smelled them. She didn't say anything.

"Nicole, are you OK?" I asked kneeling down in front of her. She put the roses to the side and shut her eyes tight, afterwards looking up at me. Her eyes were a little red, like she wanted to cry. She flung her arms around my neck, making me fall back on my butt. I was caught off guard but relaxed, wrapping my arms tightly around her.

"Nicole I lov..." I began.

"I don't want to leave," she interrupted, shaking her head. "I really don't want to leave."

"Then don't," I said softly. She didn't say anything. She didn't have to. I knew what she was thinking. She just wanted me to sit there with my arms wrapped around her, holding her to me close. That's all she wanted at that moment. It's all I wanted too.

Madeline's View

"Hey Bill," I greeted Bill as he came over to me with a big smile on his face.

"Hey Maddy, how's it going?" he asked hugging me tightly.

"OK I guess, pretty worried about Nicole," I admitted. His eyes furrowed and he said, "Why in the world would you be worried about my girl?"

"You've heard haven't you? 'Tima says you have..."

He rolled his eyes and said, "All of you are making this too big of a deal."

"But it is a big deal!" I burst. "I can't believe you're so calm about this! She's like your daughter and you're just sitting back having the time of your life as you see her fade like that!"

"Maddy," he said wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "No worries OK? If I thought she was in jeopardy, you know, as well as everyone here, that I'd be running around frantic. I don't want anything bad happening to her. I've seen what's been going on, and I've spoken to Him and things are OK."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Of course, but I do need to talk to Nicole as soon as possible," he said. I nodded and said, "All right, I can arrange that."

"You better," he grinned.

"You're upset," I said as I looked into his eyes.

"You're one of those eh?" he asked looking away from my eyes.

"Most girls are..." I said.

"It's great that you guys have that but it really sucks for us men," he smiled meekly.

"Why are you upset?" I asked, ignoring what he was saying. He sighed and said, "I'm losing my girl Maddy."

"What do you mean Bill? You said that she was going to be fine," I said confused.

"It's not in the way you're thinking," he said. "I'm just...I love that girl very much. She's like my daughter. I've raised her since she's come here and I can't bare seeing her go."

"Go? Bill..."

He shook his head and smiled lightly at me, "No more questions. You go back and tell Nicole her Papa's coming."

I stared at him for a couple more minutes and then said, "All right, thanks for having that meeting. It cleared a lot of things up. Just not as much as I hoped. You did a very good job at confusing me even more."

He chuckled and said, "That was my pleasure. It's not like I was about to tell you everything in there, not everyone should know about it. They should just know the basics of what's happening. Nicole will find out soon enough, well, tomorrow night to be exact. I expect her to panic but things will turn out OK."

"Wait...panic? What's going to happen?" I asked quickly.

"Go home Maddy," he smiled and turned to walk away.

"Bill! Come on!" I yelled after him. He waved back at me and said, "Remember to tell my girl I'm coming."

I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest. I smiled at a couple of people that passed by me as they walked out of the meeting and then wiped the smile off my face quickly once they passed. I turned on my heal and started back confused at what Bill had just told me. He knows best at what's going on, so if he says things will be OK, I guess it will be.
Chapter 18 by DaniGiggles
Nicole's View

I looked up and smiled as I saw the man standing in my bedroom doorway. I got up off my bed and rushed over to him, throwing my arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"Bill, what are you doing here?" I asked kissing his cheek. He grinned and said, "What's wrong with visiting my girl? It's been a couple months since I've seen you."

I smiled and said, "Yeah but I'm coming home on Monday. I guess I did a pretty good job with Brian huh?"

He smiled and kissed my forehead, "Sure did and speaking of Brian, I would like to talk to you about him."

I looked at him curiously and said, "All right."

I walked over to the bed and sat down, waiting for him to take a seat next to me.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"Oh no nothing like that, I just wanted to talk to you about how things went," he said. I smiled and said, "It was pretty hard at first, trying to get him to trust me, but after he opened up, everything went great."

He smiled and patted my hand, "I'm glad you succeeded."

"Me too," I said.

"Has anything strange been going on?" he asked me suddenly. I looked over at him a little confused.

"What do you mean?"

He shrugged, "I was just wondering if anything odd has been happening."

I looked down and thought about it. Sure there were quite a few things that were a little odd, but nothing to really worry about.

"Yeah, there's a couple of things, but nothing to worry about. I mean, I'm sure everything will go back to normal once I get back home."

He stared at me for a moment and said, "How are you so sure?"

I shrugged and said, "Things always go back to normal with people like us Bill."

He smiled and said, "I'm glad you paid attention in class."

I grinned.

"But I'm sure you also learned that some things may not go back to normal?" he said.

I thought for a moment, "Yeah, but it rarely happens."

"That's true, it hasn't happened in over a thousand years."

I nodded, "Bill, where are you going with this?"

He smiled over at me, "Nothing honey, I'm just saying that maybe you should think more seriously about those odd things that are happening to you."

"Do you want to know..." I began but he interrupted by putting his hand up to stop me. Smiling he said, "I don't want to hear what odd things are happening. If you told me, you'd ask if it were good or bad, and I'm not going to tell you."

I looked at him puzzled, "Why?"

"Some things aren't meant to be told."

"But what if it's really serious..." he stopped me again.

"No worries Nicole OK?"

"But Bill, what if it seriously is something bad and I don't know what to do?"

"That's simple," he said. "I need you to do this as much as you need to do it for yourself."

I nodded and looked at him a little puzzled. He took his hand and lightly touched my chest where my heart was.

"The heart, the place where most feelings are created," he stated and then dropped his hand in his lap. "When the time comes, you need to listen to your heart...to your feelings. Don't be afraid Nicole. Just listen to your heart and do what you think is right. Your heart is always right. Remember that OK?" he said looking at me seriously.

"Okay Bill," I slightly smiled. He smiled meekly and patted my leg.

"Papa..."

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?" I asked looking at him concerned. He smiled the same meek smile and said, "I forgot my girl had that gift."

I linked my arm with his and hugged it to me tight.

"Something's going to happen isn't there?" I asked quietly. He looked down at me, his smile no where on his face, not even in his eyes. His eyes were swarming with sadness.

"Most things only happen if they're supposed to," he said softly.

"Is it supposed to happen?" I asked.

"That's what you need to figure out, as how you need to figure out how to listen to your heart."

"Why are you so sad?" I asked frowning. He cracked a smile with much force, "I'm just going to miss..."

He quickly stopped.

"Miss what?" I asked. He leaned in and kissed my forehead.

"I'm going to go home now OK? I'll see you Monday honey," he said as he got up. I let go of his arm and looked after him worried.

He turned and looked at me before he left the room and lightly smiled, "You should pay more attention to your facial features. That may help you figure things out."

My eyes furrowed at what he said.

"I love you Nicole," he said.

"I love you too Papa," I said quietly.

The Next Night

Brian's View


I rushed around the room trying to find the shirt I had bought for the party tonight.

"Where is it!?" I exclaimed throwing hangers and other articles of clothing out of my closet.

"Nervous much?" I heard behind me. I turned my head startled and found Nick standing in the middle of my room with a shirt hanging off his head.

"Hey, sorry about that," I apologized.

"What's up with you?" he asked taking the shirt off his head and throwing it to the side.

"I can't find my shirt," I said pushing a bunch of shirts to the side.

"Is that it?" he asked. I turned my head to look at him, he was pointing to my desk. I turned my gaze to the desk and found the shirt hanging off the chair. I sighed loudly and rushed over, snatching it up.

"I'm guessing you're worried about what she's going to say," Nick chuckled taking a seat on my bed. I took my shirt off and threw it to the side hastily. I pulled on the silk white shirt and turned to him.

"What do you think she's going to say?" I asked looking around quickly for my white tie. I saw it hanging off the dresser and quickly rushed over. I put it over my neck and tied it, leaving it loose. I quickly grabbed my nice cream colored sport coat and put it on.

"Depends," I heard him say. I turned around and stared at him, "How did you get ready so fast!?"

He shrugged, "It wasn't hard. Man you need to calm down."

I fiddled with my hands and groaned, "I'm just so nervous. What if she doesn't show up?"

"She's going to show up Brian," Nick said. "She's going to show up, you're going to ask her to be your girl, and she's going to say yes."

I walked over to him and sat down, "Do you think it's too soon to ask her to move in with me?"

"It's only temporary until she finds a place of her own isn't it?"

I nodded, "Yeah it is. I don't want to rush anything. I just really don't want her to move back home."

His hand clapped on my back and he said, "Just try not to think about it right now. Have a good time with her tonight."

I nodded and said, "You're right."

"OK, are you ready?" he asked getting to his feet. I looked around and my clothes thrown all over the room and said, "Yeah, do I look OK?"

"You look fine! Now come on!" he said grabbing my arm and pulling me up.

I raised my hand to my neck and checked to see if I had my necklace on and then patted my leg pocket to make sure the box was in there. Gosh, I have never been so nervous before in my life but could you blame me? Tonight was going to determine the rest of my life. She was either going to be in it or she wasn't. I wanted so much for her to be in it.
Chapter 19 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

I dodged through the dancing people on the dance floor as the different colored lights twirled around casting colors all over the dance floor. The speakers blared with the remix of "Crush" by Jennifer Paige.

I looked up to make sure my surprise I had for Nicole was where it was supposed to be and smiled when I saw that it was there. I hope she liked it.

I came upon a couple I didn't know grinding against each other and rolled my eyes trying to get past them. I just wanted to get over to the tables and sit down. That and find Nicole. I just got here with Nick but I'm still hoping she got here before me.

Finally, I stumbled off the dance floor and faced all the tables. Some people were chatting quietly, others were roaring with laughter.

"Some people are already plastered," I smiled shaking my head.

I scanned the tables to see if I knew anybody. I grinned when I saw Kevin leaning back in a chair and looking out upon the dance floor. I walked over and plopped down next to him in a chair. He jumped and his chair started to fall back. I quickly grabbed the back of his chair.

"Sorry about that," I laughed. He whistled relieved that he didn't fall and smiled over at me, "No problem, I was asking for it by sitting like that. How you doin'?"

"Awesome, but a little stressed out," I said. He nodded, "Yeah, I heard about Nikki. You guys can still keep in touch you know. It's not the end of the world."

"I know," I said. "I'm actually gonna ask her to move in with me tonight."

He looked at me surprised, "Are you sure that's a wise idea? It's a little soon don't you think? You two aren't even together."

I shook my head, "It's only temporary until she finds her own place and I'm gonna ask her to be my girl tonight too."

He smiled lightly, "Are you sure you want to ask that? You know what happened last time."

"I know but something's changed about her. I don't know what it is, but she's changed," I said. "It's nothing bad or anything, it's just...I can't explain it."

"So you're saying you think she'll say yes?" he asked. I thought for a second and then said, "Yeah, I think she will."

"Good luck," he said.

"Thanks."

He raised his arm and pointed toward the dance floor smiling, "Here comes your girl now."

I turned my head quickly to see where he was pointing, "Where?"

"Right there," he said. "The stairs."

I looked up at the stairs and my mouth fell open slightly, "Wow."

"You're one lucky boy Brian," he chuckled looking at the expression on my face. I looked over at him and gave him a small smile.

"I'll see you later," I said getting up out of my chair.

"Later Cuz," he waved.

I swerved in and out of the tables and chairs until I got to the dance floor. I groaned inwardly. I really didn't want to go through this again.

I looked up and found Nicole had stopped. She was smiling down at me. I grinned and waved. She waved back.

"The hell with it," I mumbled and walked into the dancing crowd.

"Hey!" I heard someone scream in my ear. I turned to the person irritated. My face relaxed when I saw AJ. Of course he would be out here.

"Heading for Nikki?!" he yelled over the music, winking at me. I grinned and nodded my head.

He clapped his hand on my back and yelled "Good Luck" before he danced off. I looked up to make sure she was still where she was before and was relieved she was.

I pushed through the last remaining people and straightened myself out before I headed over to the staircase. I put my hand in my pocket to make sure the box was still there, as was the rose I had bought. Satisfied that they were, I started to make my way over to the staircase. I put my hand on the railing and rushed up them, slowing down as I came upon Nicole. Gosh, she looked even more amazing as you got closer.

I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her close, "Hey you, thank you for coming."

She hugged me back, "I promised I would didn't I?"

I nodded and inhaled the sweet scent of her. She smelled like Vanilla, my favorite. I pulled back and planted a kiss on her lips. I then reached in my pocket and pulled out the white rose. She smiled and kissed my lips softly, "Thank you."

"You look gorgeous," I complimented. She looked down and back up at me, "Thank you, you look really handsome."

I smiled a thank you and took her hand.

"Ready to go down?" I asked. She turned her head to look at the large dance floor.

"Yep," she said. I walked down the stairs with her next to me.

"I don't see how you can walk in those," I laughed as we reached the bottom of the stairs. I pointed to her high heels.

"It's simple, you just stand and walk," she said. Laughing I said, "You make it sound so easy."

"That's because it is!" she laughed.

I took my gaze off her shoes and raised my eyes slowly to look at her. She was wearing a white spaghetti strap dress. It was tight in the chest area and then went free. The bottom part was made of silk, it moved like liquid as she walked. The top part had sparkles in the fabric. It had to be expensive that's for sure. She was wearing her cross necklace of course and her ears dangled with opal earrings. Her mouth shined with lipgloss from the lights and instead of a solid color for her eye shadow, glitter was present. Her blonde hair was in curls on top of her head. Glitter was spread across her chest and arms.

She looked absolutely beautiful. She was easily the most gorgeous girl in the room. All the guys would surely be turning their heads, not only because of the way she looked, but it seemed like there was some sort of light coming off of her. It was stupid to say but it seemed like something was surrounding her, as if protecting her. Now that I think about it, it's always been there. I just never really noticed until now as I took all of her in.

"You know what I just noticed?" I asked as we took a seat at one of the tables. She sat down and asked, "What's that?"

"Your necklace," I said pointing to it. She looked down and raised her hand to touch it. "Fatima and Madeline have the same one. They're always wearing it."

She looked up at me a little surprised, "You noticed that?"

I nodded and laughed lightly, "It's kind of hard not to. Is it like a friendship thing between you three?"

She nodded vigorously and said, "Yeah that's it."

She then frowned and looked down quickly. She had just lied to me, that was obvious. Why did she lie about something so little? I opened my mouth to ask but was interrupted by her speaking.

"You know what I just noticed too?"

"What's that?" I asked.

"We're both wearing white," she laughed lightly. I looked down at my clothing and then over at hers.

"Hey, you're right," I laughed. "We just look cool like this. It's our own little style."

"Yeah," she laughed. I just grinned at her.

"This is a really cool party," she said. I looked around and then turned back to her, "Thank you, it's not as good as last years, but it's up there with one of the best."

She smiled at me, "You don't seem to be having fun."

"What? Are you kidding? I'm having the time of my life now that you're here," I grinned. Her cheeks flushed a little.

"You're just too sweet," she said.

"That's me, Mr. Sweet," I grinned wider. She giggled.

The loud music came to a stop and the different colored lights stopped flashing. The room became black except for the candles on each table and the sparkles coming off of other people's clothing. After a few seconds of silence and blackness, the dance floor was lit up lightly by a few surrounding white lights. It wasn't bright at all. They only lit the dance floor as much as the people needed to to see. Then music to "It's In The Way You Love Me" by Shania Twain started up.

I looked at the people on the dance floor as some couples moved closer to each other and as others walked off, finding a table to sit at. I smiled, right on schedule.

I turned to Nicole and asked as I held out my hand, "Care to dance?"

She smiled at me and slid her hand into mine, "Lead the way."

I got out of my seat and waited for her to put her purse down on the table. Holding her hand, I walked through the tables and to the dance floor.

Nicole's View

Brian stopped in the middle of the dance floor and turned around, taking the hand that he was holding and putting it up around his neck. He reached down and grabbed my other hand and put that up and around his neck. He then slid his hands around my waist and pulled me to him close. I leaned against him, inhaling the scent of him. God, he smelled so good.

He began to move slowly to the beat of the music with me in his arms.

You got a way with me
Some how you got me to believe
In everything that I could be
I gotta say you really got a way

You got a way it seems
You gave me faith to find my dreams
You never knew just what that means
Can't you see you got a way with me?

It's in the way you want me
It's in the way you hold me
The way you show me just what love is made of
It's in the way we make love


I licked my lips and shut my eyes tight as I listened to the words of the music. It was crazy to say, but it's like those words were all true. As I danced in Brian's arms, so many things were starting to hit me. This was my last night here in Florida, this was my last night to speak to Brian, to look at him, to hug him, to kiss him, this was my last night before I would go home and I will never see him again. This was the last night Brian would even know I existed...

You got a way with words
You kept me smiling even when it hurts
There's no way to measure what your love is worth
I can't believe the way you get through to me

It's in the way you want me
It's in the way you hold me
The way you show me just what love is made of
It's in the way we make love


God, why do I have to leave? Why can't I just stay here forever, knowing that Brian will never forget me, knowing that he'll always be there to hold me?

Feelings started to rush through my veins, feelings that I have never felt before. Or maybe I have felt them before and I had just forgotten. Being in Brian's arms opened something up, something inside of me. The world around me used to be so sharp and so clear. I could always sense feelings of others, but as Brian held me as we danced, the world started to become foggy. When this happened I became aware of my heart aching. Aching. My heart isn't supposed to ache. My closed eyes started to burn. I bit my lip and gripped Brian tightly.

Oh how I adore you
Like no one before you
I love you just the way you are


My eyes opened slowly as I heard those words being sung, 'I love you just the way you are.' Something then washed over me as I finally realized what was happening. I loved him. I loved Brian.

I licked my lips and blinked, trying to get the burning to stop. As I opened my eyes I noticed things falling from the ceiling. All the couples stopped around us and looked up and around as the white balloons, glitter and, oh God, white rose pedals floated around us. Brian had did this, no one else could have.

Even though all the other couples had stopped and were picking rose pedals and balloons off the floor, Brian and I didn't stop. We continued dancing. I couldn't hear the people speaking, I could only hear the music being played.

A pedal fell onto Brian's shoulder. I moved my hand and picked it up running my fingers across it. A smile then crept on my face and I closed my eyes once more.

It's in the way you want me
It's in the way you hold me
The way you show me just what love is made of
It's in the way we make love...It's just the way you are


The song came to an end and Brian slowly stopped dancing. He made no move to remove his arms from around me, just as I had made no move to drop my arms from around his neck. We stood there in each other's arms in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by balloons and so many white rose pedals.

Brian then said something that made my whole body grow weak.

"I love you," he softly said into my ear.

My heart fluttered at the words and my breath caught in my throat. I didn't say anything. I just stood there with my eyes tightly shut, replaying what he had said to me.

His voice grew very quiet, so quiet that no one else would have been able to hear it unless their ear was right up to his lips like mine was.

"Can I keep you?" he whispered.

I took in a shaky breath and tightly shut my eyes. The burning in my eyes had quickly gone away and a warm fluid had started to trickle down my face. I opened my eyes and found the whole room blurry. I blinked and felt the same warmth rolling down my cheeks.

I pulled away from Brian and looked up at him. He was looking down at me with a little smile on his face. His eyes...they were full of so much love.

"You're crying," he said softly. My mouth parted and I raised my hand slowly to my face. I touched my cheek tenderly and felt my fingers turn moist. I pulled my hand away and looked at my hand in complete shock. Tears still were flowing from my eyes.

"Oh no," I breathed. I darted my eyes up at Brian who was beginning to look puzzled and then looked around me quickly, backing up. Everyone had stopped moving, had stopped talking. They were standing there watching the two of us.

I then noticed Fatima push through the crowd. She was staring at me with her mouth wide open. I looked away ashamed.

I looked at Brian one last time and turned on my heel, running away from the man that had released something in me that no one could ever do to someone like me, until now.
Chapter 20 by DaniGiggles
Nicole's View

"Please...excuse me. Please get out of the way," I cried pushing through the people in the lobby. They stared at me curiously as I pushed past. I had completely lost control of my emotions. Tears fell freely from my eyes, my heart was aching horribly, and I was growing very hot.

"Are you OK?" someone had asked as I bumped into them.

"Yes, I'm fine," I said not looking at the person.

I finally came to the front doors and threw them open, walking out into the cool night air. I rushed to the side of the street and looked around frantically.

"Taxi!" I yelled stepping out into the street and waving my arm around. A taxi slowed and came to a stop in front of me. I swung open the door and slipped in.

"Where to miss?" the driver asked looking at me through his rear view mirror.

"Just...I don't know, just go!" I exclaimed trying to wipe away the tears from my face. I looked out the window just in time to see Brian burst through the front doors yelling my name.

"Are you OK miss?" the driver asked. My head was in my hands and I was sobbing uncontrollably. I tried so hard to stop but I couldn't. I didn't know how.

I shook my head, "No, I'm not."

"What happened?" he asked. I slowly looked up and saw his concerned eyes in the mirror.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't know me," he apologized. I shook my head and sniffled, "It's OK."

"Man trouble?" he asked. I stared out the window at passing cars and nodded slowly.

"It's just, have you ever wanted something you couldn't have?" I asked softly.

"I'm a taxi driver ma'am, there's a lot of things I want that I can't have," he chuckled. I didn't smile. "Sorry, I just thought that would get a pretty girl like you to smile. You don't seem like the type to frown or get upset too much."

I wiped my cheeks and shook my head, "I'm not, I'm definitely not."

"What is it that you want that you can't have?" he asked.

"Love," I said softly.

"Love is complicated if you don't mind me saying, but in the end, everyone has a chance to experience it."

"No, it's not that."

"What's the problem then?"

"I'm in love," I said looking over at him.

"What's so bad about that?"

"I'm not supposed to be!" I burst. "I pledged in front of so many people that I would follow the rules, one being to never get so attached that you fall in love. What's going to happen to me? Oh God, I can't even go home now."

He stared at me puzzled. I looked out the window and saw the park that was near Maddy's and mine apartment.

"Stop the car," I said.

"Here?" he asked.

"Yes, at the park," I nodded.

"At this time of night?" he asked.

"Yes! Just please stop the car!" I exclaimed. He slowed the car down and pulled over. I got out of the car and closed the door behind me. I leaned over and looked at the driver.

"How much?" I asked reaching for my purse. Oh no. I looked down and found that I didn't have my purse. I groaned loudly as I realized it was back at the party lying on a table.

"It's on the house miss," he said smiling lightly at me. I stared at him shocked, "Are you sure?"

He nodded, "Yes, I'm sure. I just hope things work out for you."

"Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate this," I said. He smiled and waved, afterwards pulling away.

Brian's View

"Nick...where's Nick..." I kept saying to myself as I ran down the stairs quickly and scanned the crowd.

"Nick!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. Many people stopped and stared at me bewildered.

I then spotted a tall blonde over by the bar.

"Thank God," I breathed out and ran over to him.

"Gimme your car keys," I demanded. He looked over at me and swallowed the wine he had sitting in his mouth, "What?"

"Give me your car keys Nick!" I yelled. He looked at me wide eyed, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Didn't you just see what happened!?" I exclaimed pointing toward the dance floor. He looked to where I was pointing and then stared at me again.

"Yeah, you and Nicole were dancing..."

"And she ran out on me!" I yelled. He looked surprised, "What happened?"

"How the hell should I know! That's what I'm trying to figure out! Now give me your damn car keys!"

"Calm down will you?" he said digging in his pocket for his keys. He finally pulled them out and I snatched them from him quickly.

"Don't you dare crash it!" he yelled after me as I ran across the room and up the stairs. I sprinted through the lobby and burst through the front doors. People stopped momentarily and stared at me like I was some lunatic and moved quickly away. I ignored them and jogged to the parking lot a block away.

"Where did you park the friggin car Nick?" I asked myself as I walked down the row of cars.

"Ah ha!" I exclaimed as I recognized the back of his BMW. I quickly got in and pulled out of the parking lot, heading toward Nicole's apartment.

What had happened? Was it the fact that I told her I loved her? No, it couldn't be. She would have ran away sooner if it was that. Then what was it? She had pulled away from me, I had told her she was crying...wait, did she run away because she was crying? That's really stupid to think I know, but she panicked when she realized she was. I didn't think it was something someone would get upset over, but Nicole was different. Nicole wasn't like normal people.

Why would she panic over tears? She's had to cry before.

I slowed the car down at a stop light and dropped my hands in my lap, trying to think of when she had cried. I frowned. She never has. Tonight was the first time she had cried, well, at least in front of me.

I pressed on the gas and moved down the street a little slower than I was before.

I was going to go to her apartment and talk to her about what had happened. Things would be sorted out, I'd ask her to be my girlfriend, then ask her to move in with me until she found her own place, and everything would be just fine and dandy after that. That was my plan, but do my plans ever work out as planned? No.

I sighed and frowned as I turned a corner. I looked out the passenger side window and noticed the park. I was getting closer to her apartment. God, please be there Nicole.

I glanced at the park for a second more and just as I was turning my attention back to the road, I noticed a dark figure standing in the field of green grass next to the playground. I squinted to see the figure more clearly. It was a person, a person wearing a white glittery dress.

I quickly slowed the car down and pulled over, shutting the engine off. Normally, I would have jumped out of the car and ran up to her, but I didn't. I just sat there looking out the window as Nicole stood there. I frowned as the sight of her.

I slowly got out of the car and shut the door quietly. I made my way around the car and stepped up on the sidewalk. I hesitated but then slowly walked across the grass towards her.

Nicole's View

I stood in the grass hugging myself tightly. My eyes were tightly shut and I was crying quietly to myself. God, why can't I stop? Please make it stop.

I looked up at the night sky and said softly, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Nicole?"

I spun around startled. My arms dropped down to my sides and I sucked in air.

Brian stopped and backed up a little, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

"What are you doing here?" I asked trying to wipe the tears away. Damn them, they just kept coming.

"I was heading over to your apartment and I saw you standing here..."

"Why were you heading to my apartment?" I asked.

"To see how you were and what happened," he said. I looked down and licked my lips.

"I...I wanted to give you this. I was going to, but you left so suddenly," he said. I looked up and found him pulling out a velvet box from his pocket. He swallowed and opened it, taking out something shiney.

"It's a necklace," he said taking a couple of steps toward me. "It has half of a heart on it. I know that may sound weird to you, but I have the other half of the heart on a necklace too."

He raised his hand and pulled out a silver chain that was hiding behind his shirt.

I bit my lip and said, "Why would you want to give something like that to me?"

He looked a little hurt but it didn't stop him from explaining, "I wanted you to have it. I guess it represents what I feel for you. It represents our friendship. Whenever you're sad or lonely, I want you to look at this and know that I'm always here and that I'm always going to remember you."

I stepped forward and let him put it around my neck, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I raised my hand and touched it, frowning, "Even though you'll have this, you're going to forget about me."

He looked at me confused, "Nicole, you know that's not true. I could never forget you."

"No, Brian, you're going to forget about me OK?" I said starting to get choked up again. He shook his head and opened his mouth to speak.

"Please Brian, just go home," I said. "Go home and continue with your life. One of us needs to. I sure didn't get to."

"Nicole...what..."

I tried to force my sobs to stay in but it wasn't working.

"Please go home!" I cried starting to turn away. He stepped forward and touched my arm. I pulled away from him, "Don't."

"Nicole, why are you being like this?" he asked. I looked up in his eyes and saw them start to well up with tears. I was causing him so much pain.

"I don't want it to happen. I don't, I really don't. I don't want you to go home and wake up tomorrow, never knowing I existed," I said. He looked at me with so much confusion.

"I'm not going to forget about you Nicole! I could never! I love you!"

"You don't understand..." I sobbed.

"Nicole," he began taking a hold of my hands. "Please help me try to understand!"

I turned my head away to avoid his eyes.

"I'm begging you, please help me try to understand," he begged. I pulled my hands away from his and backed up a little, "Go home Brian."

I turned around and started walking.

"No!" he yelled and rushed to the front of me, blocking my path. "I'm not letting you leave. I want you to help me understand Nicole. I want that so much. I want to understand."

I looked into his pain filled eyes. He stood there waiting, begging. He was full of so much love. It poured out of him in torrents and it was intoxicating. Feelings were sweeping over me that I've never felt before. Is this what love feels like? Is love supposed to hurt this way? It's so painful, but yet I don't want it to ever go away.

I searched his eyes realizing that I owed it to him to tell him the truth. The truth of who I was. I had to give him a chance to understand.

"You really want the truth?" I asked softly.

He nodded his head.

"Alright," I breathed deeply. I was scared and yet it didn't seem to affect the tears coming out of my eyes. "My name is Nicole Williams. I'm from Oakland, Maryland. My parents? I don't remember them. My siblings? I don't remember them. My age? I'm not 22."

He stared at me confused, "Nicole..."

I interrupted him. If he had spoken anymore, I think I would have changed my mind about telling him everything.

"I'm 300 years old Brian," I stated.

He was a little taken aback. He opened his mouth to speak, but I continued saying softly, "I died in a house fire 280 years ago."

He stared at me bewildered.

"You must think I'm crazy huh? You must be wondering how the hell a girl that died 280 years ago could possibly be standing in front of you. Fatima or Madeline would be glad to explain a little bit more to you. I'm not a ghost, I'm not a monster. I'm an angel. I was sent here to help you with your depression and once I was done I was supposed to go back to heaven and wait for my next project, and you're supposed to go on with your life and forget about me. It's a job really, a job that you don't get paid in. Madeline isn't my sister. She's a friend of mine that coached me through everything. I succeeded with you and now I have to go back home. Not to Maryland, oh no, not there, my home and family are long gone, but back to heaven.

You mentioned my necklace tonight, the one with the cross, and how me, Fatima, and Madeline each have one and how we're always wearing it. It represents who we are. Every angel wears one, it's how we can determine who's human and who's angel.

I don't remember anything from my past life, except for where I came from and what my name was. Everything else is gone. Sure, I remembered everything at first, but over the years everything just slipped away. People like me aren't like living people. We don't have all the feelings that you possess. We rarely get upset, we rarely frown. We're always happy and smiling. We have barriers, barriers that aren't supposed to be broken down, and you Brian, you broke one of them down. No one has ever done that before. You fell in love with an angel and I fell in love with a human," I stopped and took a deep shakey breath. Brian was staring at me blankly, like he didn't know exactly what I was saying.

"You see these tears?" I asked. "They're not supposed to be there. Angels don't cry. They can't. If they do then that means something seriously has gone wrong. I don't have to worry about finding out what I did wrong, I already know. I fell in love with you. I broke one of the biggest rules, and I don't know what's going to happen to me because of it."

Brian stood there uncomfortably. I looked at him, waiting.

"I..." he began but stopped.

I then said softly, "Go home Brian. Tomorrow you're going to feel much better. Tomorrow you're not even gonna know I ever came into your life. I didn't get the chance to live through my whole life, but you do Brian, you do. Go on living and don't ever look back."

I stepped forward and softly kissed him on the lips.

"I love you," I said softly and began to walk away.

Brian's View

I was breathing heavily as Nicole walked around me. Everything that she had just told me was bouncing around in my head. I couldn't analyze it all. She had just told me that she was an angel. I real live angel. Did I believe her? As crazy as it may seem, I did. I believed every word she said. Why may you ask? It was in her eyes. Her eyes told me that she was telling me the truth.

"Nicole," I said turning around to stop her. I only turned around to face an empty field. I was too late. She was gone.
Chapter 21 by DaniGiggles
The Next Day

Brian's View


I stepped out of my jeep and looked nervously up at the apartment buildings in front of me. Would she still be there? Probably not, but it didn't hurt to try. If I didn't try and she was still there, I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life.

I took a deep breath and began to walk up the stairs to her door. The closer I got to her door the more nervous I became. I licked my lips and stopped in front of it.

I raised my hand, hesitated, but then lightly rapped on the door. I stood there waiting for a minute or two and just when I was going to turn and go back to my car, convinced that she already left, the door swung open.

I jumped a little surprised and faced the person.

"Can I help you?" the fat ugly man asked as he tore off a piece of bread with his teeth and smacked on it.

"Uh...is Nicole or Madeline home?" I asked nervously, stuffing my hands into my pockets. Why the hell would a man be in their apartment? Especially this disgusting creature.

"Who?" he asked eyeing me.

"Nicole or Madeline," I repeated for him. He shook his head, "Never heard of 'em."

"I must have the wrong apartment. Is this 24A?" I asked. He nodded and tapped the number on the door, "Sure is."

"Oh, I'm guessing you moved in today when they left," I said a little sadly.

"Moved in? Today? Hell no. I've been living here for the past 3 years," he said. I stopped fidgeting and stood there, staring at him blankly. Did he say 3 years?

"Ex...excuse me?"

"I've lived here for the past 3 years," he repeated. "Man, are you OK? You look like you're gonna hurl."

I swallowed hard and shook my head, looking down, "I'm fine. Thank you."

"Uh huh," he said and then slammed the door. My mouth had fallen open and I was staring at the ground blankly. I was in complete shock. I felt completely sick. My stomach had started to churn. I stumbled toward the railing and put my arm out to lean on it.

I had been able to keep my composure longer than I had thought I could, but I had totally lost it at that point. I knelt down and fell on my butt. I put my head in my hands and just started to cry.

Why do I have such bad luck with girls? It's like I'm cursed. I thought something great happened when I fell in love with her, but no, oh no, she just had to be an angel. Angels can't be with humans, but why? Well, that's a stupid question. Let me see, maybe it's because they're pretty much dead!

I groaned and opened my eyes. I rubbed my eyes and was about to get to my feet when something caught my eye. I froze and squinted.

No, it couldn't be.

I got to my feet and walked slowly towards the stairs. I bent down and picked up the white rose that was lying silently at the top of the stairs. I looked around quickly, looking over the railing and into the parking lot below.

"Nicole?" I called scanning the area. I frowned and looked back down at the rose, knowing that seeing her again would probably never happen.

Nicole's View

I pushed through the door blindly, sighing deeply. I was deep in thought about what had happened. I was deep in though about Brian.

"I heard what happened," I heard someone's annoying voice whine from behind me. I spun around and glared at her.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"What a nice way to greet a friend," she scoffed.

"Friend? You're far from it Eugene," I said turning around and starting to walk.

"I hope you know you're in big trouble," she said running to catch up, standing in front of me.

"Oh really? You think I didn't know that?" I asked.

"You must be really stupid to fall in love with a mortal like that," she said.

"Shove it Eugene," I snapped trying to push past her. She held out her arm to stop me.

"Woah! Look at that anger. Haven't seen that up here in awhile. And why so fast? Running to your little daddy figure?" she said in a baby voice. I didn't say anything.

"Don't think you're better than everyone else just because you got a mortal to fall in love with you," she said, her tone turning angry.

"What!? I don't think I'm better than everyone else!"

"Uh huh, you did this on purpose. You wanted to be little miss popular around here didn't you? I know you made him fall in love with you on purpose."

"Oh really? Then I must be some dark witch or something huh? There's no way I could have made him fall in love with me! It happened on it's own OK? Get your facts straight," I snapped. I tried to push past her again but she held out her arm once more.

"You should go to hell for this," she growled.

"Me? Go to hell? I think you need to turn it around sweetie," I said pushing her arm out of the way. Her mouth dropped open. As angry as I was, I was relishing this new freedom that erupted within me. I felt uninhibited and it felt amazing.

"How dare you!" she exclaimed.

"Leave me alone. You should be lucky you're even up here. I know what you did in your past life. Stop acting like such a snot and act like a civilized angel for once. I pity the people that you've tried to help. I'm sure you failed quite a few times huh?"

She shifted her eyes nervously away from mine.

"Uh huh. So don't you dare go off saying that I'm lower than everyone else here because I fell in love with a human and a human fell in love with me. Some things are meant to happen Eugene," I said and then stopped suddenly. Bill's voice echoed in my head 'Most things only happen if they're supposed to.'

"I gotta go," I said hurriedly rushing past her. I heard her shout something after me, but I didn't listen to what she said. I was running toward Bill's home. I needed to talk to him.
Chapter 22 by DaniGiggles
Nicole's View

"Bill are you home?" I called as I set down the new wardrobe I had just picked up.

"There's my girl," he grinned coming up from behind me. I turned around and smiled, giving him a warm hug.

"When did you get back?" he asked.

"Last night," I said. "But I didn't come home cause I just needed some time to think about some things."

He nodded and then pointed to my wardrobe, "Just pick those up?"

"Yeah, they're a little old fashioned don't you think?" I asked picking one of the dresses up. He shook his head and said, "Nah, I think Eugene was right on this one. We should dress more appropriately."

"Yeah, but we're just following the angel stereotype," I said tossing the dress back down.

"Nothing wrong with that," he said.

"I just think it's stupid," I said simply. He lightly smiled and said, "Don't tell me you don't think they're beautiful."

"No, I think it's beautiful," I said as I looked down at the long white dress with gold threading around the chest area. He reached out his hand and lightly touched my face.

"You seem different," he said. I looked over at him and found him smiling. "Looks like the transformation has begun."

"Huh?" I asked looking at him strangely.

"That reminds me, did you say you left last night?"

I nodded.

"Weren't you supposed to come home today?" he asked.

"Yeah, but things happened..." I said quietly.

"Like what?" he asked.

I shrugged and said, "Doesn't matter does it?"

"Of course it does, especially in your case."

"Bill, you know what happened. I bet all of you were watching me," I mumbled.

"As a matter of fact we were ordered not to watch you for the last few days."

"What, why?" I asked surprised.

He grinned and said, "Doesn't matter does it?"

I groaned, "Fine, if I tell you what happened will you tell me why you and everyone else were ordered to not watch me?"

"Sure thing," he said.

"OK," I said taking a deep breath and then stopped. "Bill, Eugene knows about what happened."

"Does she now? Well, I've heard she's been doing some sneaking around," he said, frowning slightly. "But don't you worry. Now tell me what happened."

I sighed and fidgeted with my hands, "I told Brian everything."

"Everything?" he asked. I nodded.

"Be a little bit more specific."

"I told him I was an angel. I told him everything," I said. He looked at me rather shocked. I frowned and looked down.

"You are in love with him," he said not really to me but to himself. I looked up at him and found him smiling.

"What?"

"I didn't really want to believe it. Well I couldn't really cause it hasn't happened in so long, but you do. You really are in love with him."

"How did you know that?" I asked. "I thought you couldn't watch me."

"Nicole, I've been living here for at least 2,000 years. I think I would know when someone is in love with a human, especially my girl. Besides, no angel can tell the human they are helping or protecting, or any human for that matter, who or really what they are. Some may get the urge to tell them, but they simply can't due to one of our barriers. The barrier of secrecy. It stops explaining who or what we are to humans, but there's an exception, like there's an exception for all our barriers. When one of us falls in love with a human, the barrier is broken for that one person."

"Why?"

"Human emotions," he said simply. "We don't contain really any human emotions except happiness as you already know. That's another one of our barriers. Of course that barrier is broken. Well, not broken, but slightly bent at times for most of us. When we frown or when we become a little sad or worried, even angry, the barrier is bent. It's not too harmless. When you fall in love, something begins to happen; a transformation. Human emotions are once again created in your body and those emotions don't bend, but break that barrier.

Now this transformation will only go so far. I say you're in the middle of it and the only way to complete the transformation is for you to make a decision. Pretty soon, your transformation will come to a halt for at least a day. That's when you have to make your decision."

"What decision?" I asked. He smiled, "I thought you already knew."

I shook my head slowly.

"To become a human or stay an angel of course."

My mouth slightly dropped open as I stared at him blankly. Did he just say I had the choice to become human?
Chapter 23 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

I stuffed my hands into my pant pockets and walked through the hall toward the living room.

"Hey man," I said. Nick nodded his head as to say 'Hi' as he tried to defeat some ugly looking monster on N64.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Just got back from Nicole's," I said.

"Who?" he asked. I stared at the back of his head and then toward his fingers that pressed the buttons quickly.

"Nicole," I repeated.

"Who's Nicole?" he asked sticking his tongue out at the screen.

"Nikki..." I said looking at him strangely.

"Cute name, but who is she?" he asked.

"Stop playin' man, you know who Nicole is," I laughed lightly. He shook his head saying, "No I don't. Is she a new friend or something?"

"No," I said slowly.

"Wassuh! The bone daddy is in the house!" AJ barked as he entered the room grinning widely.

"Hey," I said.

"Sup? Yo Nick," AJ waved.

"Yo," Nick replied never taking his eyes off the television screen.

"What's up B?" AJ asked as he took a seat next to me.

"Wondering why Nick wants to pretend like he doesn't know who Nicole is," I said rolling my eyes. He furrowed his eyebrow, "Who?"

"Nicole!" I repeated more fiercely.

"Man, I'm telling you, I don't know that girl," Nick said finally pausing the game and turning around.

"Stop playin' around. AJ, you don't need to get in on this joke too," I said. He looked at me confused, "What joke?"

"Acting like you don't know Nicole."

"But I don't know any Nicole..." he said slowly. I stared at him and then over at Nick. They were both looking at me strangely.

"You don't know who Nicole is?" I asked. They both shook their heads.

"Did B hook up last night?" AJ grinned punching my arm.

"No, I didn't," I said frowning.

"Well, then who's this Nicole girl?" Nick asked.

"A girl I fell in love with," I said softly.

"What!? Hold up, hold up, hold up..." AJ exclaimed shaking his head unbelievingly. "Did you just say you fell in love?"

"Yeah," I said looking at him like he were stupid. "You knew..."

"I did not," AJ protested.

I looked between the two of them, "Guys this isn't funny."

They just stared at me blankly.

"Bri, we seriously don't know who you're talking about," Nick said looking at me apologetically. I looked into his eyes and found no hint of him being untruthful. I turned my head to look at AJ. He just stared at me like he were lost.

"I can't believe this," I said to myself sinking down into the couch. "Everyone has forgotten Nicole ever existed...except me."

Nicole's View

"What's this crap about Brian not forgetting about me?" I asked sitting down in front of Melanie. She looked up at me surprised.

"Hey Nikki, I heard you were back," she smiled. I looked at her pleadingly, "Please tell me what happened. You, Bill, and Madeline are the only ones I can really turn too. 'Tima is still down there."

She looked at me for a second and then said, "What do you need to know?"

"Why Brian didn't forget about me like he was supposed to."

"Where did you hear this?"

"I didn't hear anything, I saw it," I said.

She nodded, "You should know by now that some things don't go as planned."

"Obviously," I said.

"You, of course, have began to change, so that didn't go back to the way it should have. Brian was supposed to forget about you, but since he fell in love with you, he can't. How can a person forget about someone they love? They can't. It's what human emotions do to you. We have no way of making him forget you."

"Oh, so the other guys don't remember me cause they didn't love me?" I asked. She slowly nodded, "Not like Brian does."

I stared down for a second taking in what she said.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked quietly, more to myself than to her.

"That's what you're supposed to figure out," she said. I looked up at her, "But I don't know! Brian's going to slip into another depression, what am I supposed to do about that?"

She slightly smiled and said, "Do what Bill told you."

She then got up and started to walk away.

"What did he tell me?" I asked not knowing what she was talking about. She stopped, turned around, and smiled, "Listen to your heart."

A Few Hours Later

I sat there on the white sofa inside my home, chewing my nails nervously and staring at the ground. What was I going to do? Nobody was being cooperative. They all just tell me that I have to figure it out. It seems easy enough doesn't it? Sure it does. It's a simple decision. Yeah, a simple decision for a normal person. This was something much more complicated, this was something no other angel would get the chance to do. Well, something that no other angel will be able to do in a very long time. I have to decide to become human or to stay an angel for all eternity. I have to decide to be with the man I love or leave my family and God. I have to decide whether I want my life back, a life that was taken away from me 280 years ago. If you think about it, I was getting a second chance, but did I really want it? I don't know.

I looked up to the sound of rustling. Madeline came into the room quietly, never glancing at me.

"Hey," I greeted her. She looked up at me for the first time and smiled lightly.

"Is something wrong?" I asked looking at her face. She took a deep breath and said, "No, not really, but something is bothering me."

"What is it?" I asked curiously. She walked over to me and sat down.

"It's about Brian," she said. I laughed lightly, "I figured as much."

She gave me a small smile, "I overheard Bill talking with the council earlier."

"About Brian?" I asked. She nodded, "And Leighanne."

My heart skipped a beat and my eyes furrowed, "Are they...are they together again?"

She shook her head, "No, of course not."

"Then what about them?"

"Did Brian ever tell you why Leigh left him?" she asked looking me over carefully. I shook my head slowly.

"Never?"

"No."

"Would you like to know?" she asked.

"Of course I do Maddy."

"OK," she sighed. "Leigh left Brian because Brian told her he didn't love her."

"Oh wait, I know about that already," I interrupted. She stopped and looked at me as if she were thinking.

"Ah, yes, OK, I forgot about that. He told you when he came over that one night right?" she asked. I nodded.

"All right, then we'll skip all that," she said as she waved her hand. "Since you know that, do you know why he could never love her?"

I shook my head and said, "No."

"Because of you," she said looking me square in the eye. I looked at her confused, "Because of me?"

She nodded.

"But Maddy, he didn't even know who I was until 2 months later!"

"I know, I know, but he told her he could never love her because he was only meant to love you," she said. I stared at her incredulously.

"Maddy, you can't be serious! He had no idea I existed then! How could he love someone he never even met?" I asked. She lightly smiled and pointed to her head and then to her heart, "He knew in his heart and in his mind that he didn't love Leighanne, that he loved another woman, a woman that was his true soul mate."

I shook my head, "I don't understand."

She sighed, "Gosh, how am I going to explain this? Bill found out from the council that they made Brian say those things to Leighanne."

"Wait," I interrupted. "You're telling me the council took over Brian's mind and made him tell Leighanne those things to get her out of the picture?"

She bit her lip and tilted her head to the side looking unsure at my words, "I guess you could say that."

"That sounds like something the devil would do!" I exclaimed. "The reason why he went into that depression was mostly because of her! They're responsible for him going into that depression!?"

"Calm down Nikki, let me finish explaining," she said looking at me a little shocked at my outburst. I nodded and sat listening to what she was telling me.

"I know it sounds evil to do, but you have to think why the council would do such a thing. They would never do something that would endanger a human life and they would never do something that would change the course of their lives. They did this for a reason.

The council sent one of our oldest angels down to earth. Brian had lunch with him because he thought that the person he was having lunch with was an old friend from Kentucky. The angel did something, I don't know what, it was something we can't do because we're still so young, but it made Brian go home to Leighanne with something on his mind.

He didn't really know what was bothering him at first until Leighanne came in and sat down next to him. His mind then started putting pieces together and those pieces are the words that came out of his mouth that made Leighanne leave. After those things were said, they were erased from his mind so he wouldn't remember what had happened. He remembers that he did say something that made her leave, he remembers how she left, he remembers her tears, but he doesn't remember what he said to her. He never will. He won't even remember it if someone told him what he said, which is the case. When he ran into Leighanne, she burst out what he had said to her. He got really confused and came to you to help him feel better."

"What did he say exactly?" I asked quietly.

"That he didn't love her and that he could only love you," she said. "I don't want you thinking that they made him not love her, that he actually did love her but they fooled around with his emotions to make him think he didn't love her. That's not true at all. Brian was blind with Leighanne. He thought he loved her, but he really didn't. He knew that something wasn't right. He could feel it, but the feeling wasn't strong enough to make him realize that Leighanne wasn't the girl he really loved. Sooner or later he would have proposed to her, they would have gotten married, and he would always have that feeling that he made a mistake. That Leighanne wasn't the love of his life. The council simply helped him get back on the right track. They prevented him from making a mistake. You see that right?"

I slowly nodded trying to take in everything that she was telling me.

"But why would they make him say he loved me? I'm an angel, I can't possibly be his soul mate. They should have made him think of another girl," I said. She smiled, "They didn't make him say a girl's name. They didn't make him think of a girl at all."

I looked at her puzzled, "But you said he told Leighanne that he could only love me."

She nodded, "Yes, that's true, but they didn't put it into his head. It was already there."

I stared at her blankly, "I'm lost here."

She lightly laughed, "What I'm saying is the angel that got Brian to tell Leighanne those things only made him say that he didn't love her. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't make Brian say who he really loved. He didn't make Brian say he could only love you. He only made Brian say he didn't love Leighanne."

"Wait...I don't think I'm hearing this right," I said shaking my head unbelievingly. "Are you saying that Brian said that he could only love me on his own? The angel didn't make him say it? The angel had nothing to do with it?"

She slowly nodded, "Nikki, you still have a lot to learn, but all humans know in their head who they truly love. It's always in the back of their brain, sitting and waiting for that one person to show up so it can then open up and let the person know that 'hey, that's the girl/boy that you're supposed to be with.' Am I making sense?"

"Kind of," I said. "So are you saying that Brian knew that I was the one he could ever really love? That my name and my face have been sitting in his head waiting for me to come along so it could tell him that he's supposed to be with me?"

She smiled and said, "I shouldn't really be telling you but I hear no one else is really helping you out on this, so I might as well. Yes, you're right. When he was born, you were the girl that he was meant to fall in love with. You were the girl that sat in the back of his mind waiting for you to come along. When he saw you, he knew that you were that girl because his mind was sending feelings to his heart, and his heart was sending feelings back up to his brain pretty much yelling at him that you were the one. I know that if you were a human you would know too that he was the one you were supposed to fall in love with."

I smiled widely as she told me that, "I'm supposed to be with him?"

"You need to think about what I just told you and decide if you really are supposed to be with him. It's your decision Nikki," she said.

I threw my arms around her and hugged her to me tight, "Thank you so much Maddy. You have no idea how much that helped me out."

"No problem. Just don't tell anyone I told you. Bill will kill me if he finds out I helped you make a decision with this whole thing," she said.

"I promise I won't tell," I said.

"Do you know what your decision is?" she asked slowly. I bit my lip and said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know really yet. I just have a lot of thinking to do."

She nodded and said, "You do that and if your mind fails you, do what Bill told you to do."

"Listen to my heart?" I asked. She smiled, "Do that and you'll never go wrong."
Chapter 24 by DaniGiggles
Brian's View

I stared at the two dancing figures on the screen surrounded by several people watching them as they rose off the ground. I can't believe I was sitting through this. Sitting through the one movie that I always watched with Nicole.

"Can I keep you?" Devon Sawa whispered into Christina Ricci's ear. I rolled my eyes and said, "No!"

I switched off the TV and slumped back on the couch, licking the chocolate from my lips. I tossed the rest of my Milky Way to the side and just laid there staring around the room. I felt ridiculous. I was handling things like a sterotypical woman, but what else was I supposed do?

I sighed, rubbing my eyes in frustration. Nicole's voice echoed all around me.

"This is your favorite movie?"

"What? It's cute!" she defended, smiling.

"Why do you like it so much?" I asked.

"I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

"Relate to it?"

She smiled, "It's hard to explain."


I can't believe I didn't see it. All the signs she was giving me. Everything just led up to how she was an angel.

"I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

Tears came to my eyes hearing her say those words over and over in my head. She could relate to it, she was like Casper. She wasn't a ghost, but an angel looking over a human. She can't be with me, just like Casper couldn't be with Kat.

"I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

A few tears escaped from my eyes. I wiped them away and reached up to touch one of the chains around my neck. I picked up the half heart and stared at it.

"You once asked me if I ever thought I met an angel," I said softly, running my finger across the heart. "I didn't get a chance to answer you, but my answer was yes. You were that angel. You were my angel even before I found out everything. You were my angel, my angel that I fell in love with."

Nicole's View

I ran my fingers across the heart on the necklace around my neck and sighed sadly.

"There's my girl."

I tilted my head so I could see who had entered the room.

"Hey Bill," I said sadly. He leaned on the wall and stared at me with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I never thought I'd see you like this. It's like looking at a mortal," he smiled lightly at me.

"Is that a compliment?" I asked dropping the heart back on my chest. He shrugged, "Looking like a mortal isn't bad."

"Yes, it is," I grumbled. "I'm an angel, not a human."

"Is that what you want though?" he asked looking at me intently. I stared at him tossing around the question in my head. I then slowly shook my head, "No."

"No?"

I shook my head again, "I want to be with Brian."

His smile slowly crept on his face, "Is that your decision?"

I nodded, "Yes."

"Are you sure?"

I bit my lip but then nodded.

"You do know what you're sacrificing right? You know that once you become mortal you'll forget about me, about Madeline, about Melanie, about ever being here? You'll forget about being an angel, about helping Brian, about the powers you possess. You'll only know that you love Brian and that he loves you."

I frowned and felt my eyes start to sting.

"I don't know if I should do this," I said quietly. I tear crept from my eye and slid down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly, trying to hide it from him.

He frowned slightly and walked towards me, "You shouldn't hide a tear Nicole. You shouldn't be ashamed of it."

"But I am, it's what got me into this mess in the first place!"

He shook his head, "No, I'm the one that got you into this mess."

"What?" I asked, a bit confused.

"I had a meeting with the council before you left. They suggested that you took this job. I didn't know why at first, so I let you take the job just for the heck of it."

"You didn't know this would happen though. It's not your fault," I said. He sighed, "It partly is. I knew what was happening a few weeks into it. I didn't want to stop it because I wanted to see how things would turn out. I didn't think it would really go to this extent. I'm surprised that it did."

I looked down and fiddled with my hands. He set his hand on my hand to stop my fiddling.

"I'm scared," I said softly. He nodded and wrapped his arm around me and said, "Don't be honey. You're going to be with the man you love. A man that will treat you the way you should be treated. You should be with him. You need to be with him."

"But what about you?" I asked looking up at him with tear filled eyes. He slightly smiled, "What about me?"

"I'm going to miss you and when I leave some other girl is just going to replace me," I said. He shook his head, "No one is going to replace you. I requested to not look after anymore girls. I want to be looking after you and Brian to make sure things go all right for you two."

"You're going to be watching me?" I asked. He nodded, "Of course, we all are. We aren't going to forget about you Nicole. You're going to be the topic of conversation around here for a very long time. You broke down our most important barrier. You fell in love with a human and somehow a human fell in love with you. You're one famous girl."

I lightly smiled, "Am I going to see you again?"

"You will in about 60 years," he smiled. I nodded slowly and said, "That's a long time."

"Yeah but you'll get through it. You'll be up here again in time and we'll be together again, we'll just have Brian to keep us company too," he said squeezing me lightly.

"You promise you won't forget me?"

"I promise."

"And you promise to watch over me?"

"I promise."

"OK," I smiled.

"And don't worry about how you won't remember me, Madeline, Melanie or Fatima. You'll start to remember things as you get older, but for now, you just need to focus on living. You're going to see us again I promise you."

"Thanks Bill," I said standing up. He stood up also and hugged me to him close. I kissed his cheek and rested my head on his chest.

"I love you papa, don't forget that OK?" I said softly.

"I could never forget that and even though you won't know that you love me in your mind, I know you'll know in your heart," he said kissing the top of my head. He rocked me back in forth in his arms not saying a word. Tears were seeping out of my tightly shut eyes and wetting his white shirt.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispered.

"I'm going to miss you too."

He pulled away and said, "Now keep your chin up and make the most of your second chance at life."

"Thanks a lot," I said kissing his cheek. "Be sure to tell Melanie and Madeline thanks for everything and that I'll miss them OK?"

He nodded, "Will do."

I sighed and let out a shaky breath.

"Ready?" he asked. I looked up at his sad filled eyes and nodded slowly.

"All right," he said and then bent down and whispered in my ear, "Remember to just smile. Smile your heart out."

A smile crept up onto my face and my eyes slowly closed.
Epilogue by DaniGiggles
The Next Day

Brian's View


"Have you thought about getting back together with Leigh?" Kevin asked through the phone. I rubbed my forehead stressfully and said, "No."

"Why not?" he asked. "Don't you miss her?"

"Of course I miss her. It's just that I don't feel that way toward her anymore. Besides, she wouldn't want to get back together," I replied.

"You never know but you shouldn't be dwelling on this Nicole girl if you don't even know where she is," he said. I sighed, "I know, I know."

"Tell you what, how about we go out tonight? Just do something to get your mind off of things," he suggested.

"Yeah, OK, that sounds good," I agreed.

"Alright, I'll call you later," he said.

"OK, but Kev?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you sure you don't remember Nicole?" I asked hoping he'd remember her at least vaguely. He sat there in silence for a moment thinking and then said, "No, it doesn't ring a bell. Sorry man."

"Nah, it's OK, I'll talk to you later," I said.

"Later," he said hanging up the phone. I hit the "Talk" button and tossed the phone onto my bed. I rubbed my hands through my hair and looked around my room. Everything was so quiet. Living in a house with your dog isn't really what it's cracked up to be. Yeah, wow I'm a bachelor but I'm lonely, really lonely.

The chime of the doorbell broke through the silence. I jumped a little surprised and then made my way down the stairs.

"I'm coming," I called. Tyk came barreling into the hallway toward me.

"Hey boy," I smiled picking him up. He licked my face and snuggled up in my arms. I walked the rest of the way to the doors and then slowly came to a stop. I looked around me nervously as I saw the front door wide open.

"Hello?" I called through the quiet house. I gently put Tyk down and went over to the door cautiously. I grabbed the handle and pushed the door shut.

"Is somebod..." I stopped as my bare foot touched something soft. I jerked my foot up on impulse and looked down. A single white rose rested beneath me.

I bent down and gently picked it up, staring at it and twirling it slowly between my finger tips. My heart started to speed up.

"Nicole?" I called taking my eyes off the rose. I got no answer.

"Smile though your heart is aching..." a soft voice sang suddenly somewhere further into the house. I stepped forward and felt something else soft beneath my feet. I bent down and picked up another rose.

"Smile even though it's breaking..."

I walked down the hall slowly trying to see where the voice was coming from. Every few feet there was a white rose lying silently and peacefully on the floor, waiting for me to pick it up.

"When there are clouds in the sky you'll get by, if you smile through your fears and sorrows...smile...let me be tomorrow...you'll see the sun come shining through...if you..."

The flowers led to the staircase. Instead of whole flowers on each step, hundreds of little white pedals were scattered over the marble steps. I climbed them slowly until I got to the top of the stairs.

"Light up with your face with gladness...hide every trace of sadness..."

My room. The voice was coming from my room. I followed the rest of the rose pedals down the hall to my room. I didn't walk in at first, very hesitant at what I was going to see. Instead I peered inside to see if there was anyone in sight. There was no one.

I stood there in the hallway for a second but then slowly entered the room looking around. I still couldn't see anyone. Rose pedals were all over the floor and the double doors to the balcony were opened, the curtains were flapping in the breeze.

"Although a tear may be ever so near..."

I twirled around to see a girl standing just a few feet away from me. I didn't say anything, I couldn't really, I was in too much shock.

"That's the time you must keep on trying...smile...what's the use in crying? You'll find that life is still worth while...if you...just..."

As she sang those words she slowly stepped toward me and pretty soon, she was so close I could have leaned down and kissed her.

A smile spread across her face as she sang the last word to the song I only knew of one person to ever sing to me, "Smile."

"Nicole..." I breathed out. She bit her lip and looked down, then looking back up into my eyes.

"It's me," she said softly. Tears stung my eyes as I looked down into her smiling face. I raised my hand and gently touched her arm, letting out a shaky breath when my hand didn't go through. She wasn't an illusion, she was really there.

"Oh God," I said wrapping my arms around her and pulling her to me close. She wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed me tight.

"I thought I was never going to see you again," I choked out. I was going to start crying any minute.

"I thought I wasn't going to see you again either," she quietly said.

"Did you come back to say good-bye?" I asked. I felt her shake her head, "No."

I pulled away and looked down at her tear filled eyes.

"What are you here for then?" I asked.

"To be with you."

A smile crept up onto my face.

"Really?"

She smiled and nodded. I grinned widely but soon my smile faded.

"What's wrong?" she asked furrowing her eyebrows.

"You can't be with me," I frowned deeply. Her smile returned and she said, "How are you so sure?"

"Because you're an angel and I'm...whatever you guys call me," I mumbled. She stroked my cheek and said, "I'm not an angel anymore. In fact, once you kiss me, I'll officially be human and I'll forget I was an angel. You'll forget I was too."

I stared down at her a little puzzled.

"You're just pulling my leg," I shook my head.

"I'm not," she said looking at me in the eye. She was telling the truth. My grin reappeared and I wrapped her in another hug.

"You did this for me?" I asked softly. I felt her nod her head, "Why not? I love you."

My heart fluttered when she said those words. I squeezed her gently.

"I love you too," I whispered in her ear. She pulled away and looked up at me smiling. I stroked her cheek and leaned in slowly. I closed my eyes and let my lips brush up against her soft lips. My whole body grew weak with the touch of her lips.

I hugged her to me close once more and whispered ever so softly, "Can I keep you?"

I could tell she was smiling. My heart was racing anticipating what she was going to say. My whole body then relaxed and I let out a sigh of relief as she answered me.

She whispered back, "Always."
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8702