Six Seconds of Hell by bsbfrk411
Summary:

This is a short story I wrote about two years ago. It's based off of a myspace bulletin I read.

 

After years of being together, Dan and Cheryl found themselves drifting apart. After realizing their lives had taken different paths, they had decided to face reality. It was a long night, but it was over in just six seconds.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 3312 Read: 7092 Published: 02/03/08 Updated: 02/03/08

1. Tonight by bsbfrk411

2. This Morning by bsbfrk411

3. This Afternoon by bsbfrk411

4. This Evening by bsbfrk411

5. Tonight by bsbfrk411

Tonight by bsbfrk411

Across town, in the dead of night, the screeching sound of tires dragging across a slick, rain-covered street pierced the ears of silence that lingered around the sleeping city.
The buildings stood still, watching the events unfold. Not a soul around could see what was coming. There was no one around. There were no souls.
Out of anger, the man driving the only car on the street took the turn in front of him at a high speed. The car fishtailed. Within a split second, it was sliding down the empty road.
There was no time to react. He slammed on the breaks and turned the wheel, hoping to regain control. Yelling and screaming, he fought desperately to stop the car from its out-of-control spin down the lonesome street. The girl next to him sat screaming in fear, tears pouring down her face, begging him to stop the car; pleading him to gain control.
The roads were as slick as ice, and the tires beneath the car had no chance of gaining traction. The rain fall increased, the thunder crashed, and as the lightening struck, their worlds changed forever.
Suddenly they weren't the only car the street.
The man and woman in the car continued to slide uncontrollably until they reached an intersection. Then, the sound of the tires screeching doubled as metal on metal echoed across the town.
The screeching stopped.
There was silence.

"Are you ok?"

 

This Morning by bsbfrk411

The future is never predictable, and sometimes, no matter how perfect everything seems, it's just not meant to last. Dan and Cheryl had been together for four years when things began to fall apart. Cheryl had grown away from her boyfriend, and spending time with him became a chore. Dan cherished Cheryl.
Cheryl never realized the extent of Dan's love. He was one of those guys that fell in love and had no intentions of living his life any differently at any point. Over and over again, he pictured himself marrying her. Cheryl picture herself moving on with her life.
There was an attachment that Dan had for Cheryl that doesn't come around too often, but it was disguised by his quiet, passive nature. Cheryl usually interpreted his actions as his way of saying he didn't care. He cared though. He cared so much he would let her win every argument just so he could see her smile. He would give in to her every request to make her happy. There was nothing he wouldn't do for her, no matter how angry she would make him. It was impossible for him to ever stay mad at her, even though she provoked nearly every fight they ever had.
Still, with every day they were together, Dan's dependency on Cheryl increased blindly to Cheryl's knowledge. Picturing his days without her made me him feel helpless and miserable. Yet, there didn't seem to be much hope for Dan, and for some reason, on this day, every moment they were in a car together, they ended up fighting over their relationship and what it was, or wasn't.
Dan regretted initiating the conversation which then turned into a fight. All he intended to do was gain reassurance of his relationship with Cheryl, but it backfired.
"Do you still love me?" Dan asked this assuming she would say yes, but that wasn't what happened.
"What exactly are you getting at, Dan?" Cheryl snapped at him defensively.
"Whoa... wait a minute. What is up with you?"
"Nothing, Dan! I'm just sick of you questioning me."
"What are you talking about?" Dan asked confused. "I wasn't questioning anything. I don't doubt you or your feelings."
"Then why were you questioning whether or not I love you?"
"Holy shit! Are you serious? I wasn't questioning you. It was just a casual question. People do things like that all the time. You seriously need to chill out."
"Fuck you, Dan. I don't need to ‘chill out'! You need to start trusting me."
"Whoever said I didn't trust you?"
"You know what, Dan. I really don't want to fight with you about this. Thanks for taking me to breakfast. Now take me home."
Cheryl walked out of the restaurant towards Dan's SUV and waited for him to unlock the door and take her home.
On the way, Dan's attempt to comfort her turned into another heated battle, and by the time he had gotten home, he doubted if his relationship would survive the rest of the day.

This Afternoon by bsbfrk411
"Hello?"
"Can we not fight anymore? I hate this. I hate feeling like I'm losing you."
"I didn't mean to act like such a jerk to you today, Dan."
"I know, and neither did I. But I want to be with you forever."
On the other side of the phone, Cheryl began to panic. She didn't know how to react to Dan's words. She didn't want to fight with him, and she didn't want to hurt him, but she didn't want to be with anymore either. She had been initiating fights with him all day, and questioning everything he said to her hoping that he would say something that would give them a reason to break up. But he loved her so much that he never let their fights escalate out of control.
"Let me take you out tonight. We'll do something simple like dinner and a movie. I just want us to be together, and I want us to put today in the past. So if I show up at your house at six, will you go with me?"
She wanted to say no, but she knew that ending things with Dan over the phone was wrong, so she agreed to go out with him. She just hoped it would be the last time she'd have to lie to Dan about her feelings.
This Evening by bsbfrk411
The doorbell rang and Cheryl rushed to answer the door.
"Hey, babe," Dan said with a smile as Cheryl opened the door.
"Hi, Dan. Give me minute, ok?"
"Yea, no problem."
Cheryl ran to grab her coat before leaving for her last night with Dan. Dan took Cheryl to the restaurant where they had their first date, hoping it would help to mend the troubles within their relationship. Cheryl was beyond surprised when they arrived. The location had so much meaning to both of them that she began to feel guilt welding up inside of her upon the thought of breaking up with Dan. Ending her relationship was never something she wanted or planned. But after four years with him, she realized she didn't feel the same way anymore. In turn, she constantly found herself picking fights with Dan, subconsciously hoping it would cause them to break up.
But as long as she left the decision in Dan's hands that would never happen because his world fell within her heart. There were never any words that could describe the intensity of his love for Cheryl. She was his survival and his reason for living, but that didn't matter to Cheryl anymore. Instead, she doubted his feelings and questioned his love, despite knowing there would never be anyone better.
The dinner went relatively well, and Dan fell even more in love with Cheryl. On the other hand, Cheryl wondered how Dan would take it at the end of the night when she told him their relationship was over. She thought Dan was completely unaware of her intent, and she faked her happiness while she was with him to prevent him from knowing her true feelings.
But Dan had figure out long ago that Cheryl was pushing him away. He just hadn't figured out why. He was hoping that on this night, he could reassure her that they would be alright together, and nothing could ever come between them. He knew he had to come up with the right words to say to her so she would know how serious he was.
When Dan went up to pay the bill, he asked for a small piece of paper and a pen. On the paper, he wrote her a short note and prayed his life wouldn't change.
Without a word, they walked out of the restaurant and got into the car. Remaining silent the entire drive, they arrived at the movie theatre. Dan's heart was shattering with every moment of silence. He knew something was wrong, but for the first time in his life, he hoped that if he just ignored it, it would go away.
Cheryl and Dan went into the movie, remaining silent. Dan didn't mind as much though, because the theatre at least gave them a reason for their silence.
Cheryl paid no attention to the film, and she visibly looked as though her thoughts were moving faster than her mind could keep up with. Dan remained still, only his fingers in his pocket moving as he fumbled with the note he had written earlier. Simultaneously, Dan and Cheryl wondered what either should say after the movie ended. What was there to say? With each passing second, they were moving farther apart from each other. Dan hated it, and Cheryl was ok with it.
The only thing they had in common was that neither Dan nor Cheryl ever expected things to end the way they were. It was long and painful, disguised by lies.
Tonight by bsbfrk411
Imagine the most awkward moment of your life.

The movie ended and Dan and Cheryl found themselves searching for something to say to each other. The opposition between the couple remained strong as Dan fought desperately to make conversation with Cheryl, and Cheryl hoped he wouldn't say a word.
"The movie was good," Dan said, despite having no idea what it was about.
"Yea, it wasn't too bad," Cheryl guessed.
The silence continued to dominate as neither knew what could be said to overcome the wall that stood in between them.
"I'm really glad we went out tonight."
"Yea... Me, too," Cheryl lied.
Dan put his arm around Cheryl's shoulders and felt her tense up, almost as though a complete stranger was grabbing her. That's what they had become to each other. Complete strangers. They didn't know each other anymore. They didn't know what they wanted from each other or out of life. But they were both starting realize that they wanted something different.
Dan brought his arm back by his side.
"Well, I guess I'll take you home now."
Cheryl faked a smile. Dan saw it.
As usual, the ride home would be long. In fact, it would be the longest ride home either of them could have ever imagined.
Despite everything that had happened in the last few hours, Dan was stilled worried about Cheryl, and naturally, he wanted to comfort her.
"Are you ok?"
"Yea, I'm fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes Dan, I'm fine!" She contiuned sarcastically, "There are no problems at all."
"Ok... Why don't you just tell me what the problem is instead of acting like a bitch about it? I'm not looking for a fight with you. In fact, this may come as a surprise, but I really want things to work out between us, even though I'm not so sure you do."
"What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Like every problem we have is my fault?"
"No, Cheryl, I don't believe I said that. But I'm actually trying to figure what the hell has been bothering you for the last two weeks, and all I get is your typical sarcastic attitude, insinuating that I am the blame for every horrible thing that ever happens in your life."
"Will you please pay attention? Maybe you haven't noticed, but you are still driving a car, and you're not the only person on the road."
"Oh how nice of you; teaching me how to drive. What would I do without you?"
"And you have the nerve to call me sarcastic."
"Well, fuck Cheryl! You're treating me like I mean absolutely nothing to you. I mean, if this is the case I guess I can't change that, but tell me the truth. Do you want this to be over? Do you want to live your life without me in it?"
She paushed for a moment before responding, then quietly said, "We've been together so long, Dan. Don't you want to try living your life with someone else?"
"No, Cheryl, I don't." His voice was loud, but he wasn't yelling. "I've actually been quite happy in our relationship. I have no desire to lose you, and to be completely honest, I don't think I really want to keep living if you're gone. I don't want to go on like that; not without you."
"Oh, Dan, give me a break. When was the last time you even told me you loved me? ...Holy shit! What the hell is wrong with you!? Why would you slam on the breaks like that in the middle of the street?"
His voice was quiet and slightly shaking, "If you ever actually listened when I talk, you would know how much I love you. But you don't, so you have no idea just how much I really do love you. But you; you have proven to me so many times that I'm shit on the ground you walk on. And that's fine; it really is. I can't change that about you, but maybe you just aren't worth it."
"Dan!"
He didn't respond. His mind drifted away and buried itself in a mountain of anger and hatred. He couldn't grasp how someone he loved so much could hurt him the way Cheryl had.
It began to rain and Dan began to accelerate. He and Cheryl both noticed how empty the town began to look. She looked over at Dan and saw a look on his face she had never seen before. He looked dazed and unaware. He seemed fearless and insensible. His right hand had been in his pocket since they'd left the theatre, and it was obvious to Cheryl that he had been holding something the whole time.
Grabbing the hand rest on the side of the door, she prepared herself for the worst. She knew this would never come to a simple end, and as the rain increased, her fear evolved.
Dan quickly accelerated again then slammed on his breaks as he whipped his SUV around the corner. Cheryl held the door as tightly as she could as tears began to fall from her eyes.
Within moments, the SUV was fishtailing out of control. Dan was still driving with one hand as the other gripped the secret note in his pocket. Knowing he had to gain control, he took his hand out of his pocket.
"Here," he handed Cheryl the note.
"Dan, please. We're gonna die!"
"Just take the fucking paper!" He yelled.
Cheryl took it and Dan began to fight the slick streets to regain control of his car. It was the only vehicle on the street, but they were in more danger than they could have ever imagined.
Dan continued to slam on the breaks and turn the wheel in order to overcome the fishtailing, but the streets were too slick. The tires weren't spinning, but the car was completely out of his control. Cheryl was in a panic and began to scream at Dan to stop the car.
"Dan, stop the car! Please, Dan! Please!"
"I'm trying to!" He yelled. "The ground is too slick."
They were both terrified. The tires began to squeal and as Dan looked up, he realized he wasn't the only car on the street anymore. He saw the headlights of the car about to cross the intersection and instantly decided to turn the wheel as hard as he could to the left, hoping it would spin out before it reached the intersection.
The SUV spun one time around before the six seconds of hell Dan and Cheryl had experienced came to an abrupt end. Lightening filled the sky and as thunder struck, the spinning SUV entered the intersection at the sane time as the crossing car. It hit the driver's side dead on and sent the giant truck flipping down the street. After four flips, the vehicle finally stopped moving, as it lay upside down.
Silence conquered the night again. Off in the distance sirens could faintly be heard, but there were no voices speaking, or hearts beating. The cars were mangled but still. The rain continued to poor.
After several minutes, Cheryl opened her eyes. She looked around and finally saw Dan, his bloody body motionless and silent.
"Dan?" Cheryl said, nearly in a whisper.
He didn't respond.
"Dan? Dan, are you ok?" She continued to ask, waiting impatiently for a response.
"Dan!" Her voice began to rise as the fear of losing him set in. "Dan! Answer me! Please, Dan! Please don't do this to me. Please, Dan!" She was crying.
"Ma'am, stay calm. We're gonna get you out right away."
The sound of the paramedic brought a sense of security to Cheryl, but she couldn't help thinking that Dan was dead. He hadn't responded in anyway. The whole time he was motionless. The car that hit them connected exactly where Dan sat, and the blood that covered his body gave no hope of him surviving.
Within a few minutes, Cheryl was out of the car, watching as they struggled to get Dan's limp body out of the wreckage. The entire driver's side of the car was smashed in, and the door was no longer functioning. The paramedics worked diligently to remove Dan through the window. After a few minutes, he was free. The paramedics immediately started CPR and Cheryl began to cry hysterically.
She loved him. Even after everything that had happened, she never stopped loving him.
The paramedics continued their attempts at reviving him, but after several tries, it began to look hopeless. Cheryl looked up and saw a sheet being put over his body. Suddenly, her world had disappeared.
He was gone. She had pushed him so far away that he ended up dying. Dan's love depreciated to Cheryl, and hers disappeared to him. After all the pain they had gone through that day, she finally got what she wanted. Only now, she begged and pleaded for him to come back.
She was out of control and in a state of complete shock. All she wanted was for Dan to put his arm around her, like the way he did when she cringed, or for him to tell her he loved her, like the way he did when she questioned him. All she wanted was Dan like the way he wanted her. But Dan was gone. She had lost him forever.
Cheryl cried hysterically for nearly a half hour before she was able to control herself again. She was sitting on the wet ground with a blanket wrapped around her. The rain continued to poor, as well as Cheryl's tears. Soaking wet, she remember the paper that Dan had handed her only seconds before his death.
She thought back to how horribly she had treated him the last two weeks, but especially that day. She thought back to all the times Dan insisted he loved her more than life, and all the times she questioned him. Cheryl had selfishly ruined the greatest thing in her life, and now all she had left was a piece of paper that she feared reading.
As the lightening lit up the sky, Cheryl opened the note. Through her tears and the rain, she read the words Dan had written just a few hours earlier. In shock, she began to cry uncontrollably again. This was all her fault, and Dan had known it.
The note only had one sentence on it, but it was a sentence so full of truth, it was fatal.


Without your love, I would die.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8835