Life According To Baylee by alota_cookin
Past Featured StorySummary:


Baylee Littrell just turned 15 years old and his life is FAR from normal.
Allow him to show you what his life is like.

This is Life According To Baylee...told by Baylee, himself.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Other
Genres: Angst, Dramedy
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: Life According To Baylee
Chapters: 70 Completed: Yes Word count: 136560 Read: 186447 Published: 04/21/08 Updated: 01/16/11
Story Notes:


Short and sweet. Brian (last I knew) is still completely alive. Baylee is not even close to being 15 yet. I have never met the BSB or anyone who knows them. It's called fan FICTION for a reason. *grin*

1. ~**NOMINATIONS**~ 2009 AND 2010!!!! by alota_cookin

2. Prologue by alota_cookin

3. Chapter One by alota_cookin

4. Chapter Two by alota_cookin

5. Chapter Three by alota_cookin

6. Chapter Four by alota_cookin

7. Chapter Five by alota_cookin

8. Chapter Six by alota_cookin

9. Chapter Seven by alota_cookin

10. Chapter Eight by alota_cookin

11. Chapter Nine by alota_cookin

12. Chapter Ten by alota_cookin

13. Chapter Eleven by alota_cookin

14. Chapter Twelve by alota_cookin

15. Chapter Thirteen by alota_cookin

16. Chapter Fourteen by alota_cookin

17. Chapter Fifteen by alota_cookin

18. Chapter Sixteen by alota_cookin

19. Chapter Seventeen by alota_cookin

20. Chapter Eighteen by alota_cookin

21. Chapter Nineteen by alota_cookin

22. Chapter Twenty by alota_cookin

23. Chapter Twenty-One by alota_cookin

24. Chapter Twenty-Two by alota_cookin

25. Chapter Twenty - Three by alota_cookin

26. Chapter Twenty-Four by alota_cookin

27. Chapter Twenty-Five by alota_cookin

28. Chapter Twenty-Six by alota_cookin

29. Chapter Twenty-Seven by alota_cookin

30. Chapter Twenty-Eight by alota_cookin

31. Chapter Twenty-Nine by alota_cookin

32. Chapter Thirty by alota_cookin

33. Chapter Thirty-One by alota_cookin

34. Chapter Thirty-Two by alota_cookin

35. Chapter Thirty-Three by alota_cookin

36. Chapter Thirty-Four by alota_cookin

37. Chapter Thirty-Five by alota_cookin

38. Chapter Thirty-Six by alota_cookin

39. Chapter Thirty-Seven by alota_cookin

40. Chapter Thirty-Eight by alota_cookin

41. Chapter Thirty-Nine by alota_cookin

42. Chapter Forty by alota_cookin

43. Chapter Forty-One by alota_cookin

44. Chapter Forty-Two by alota_cookin

45. Chapter Forty-Three by alota_cookin

46. Chapter Forty-Four by alota_cookin

47. Chapter Forty-Five by alota_cookin

48. Chapter Forty-Six by alota_cookin

49. Chapter Forty-Seven by alota_cookin

50. Chapter Forty-Eight by alota_cookin

51. Chapter Forty-Nine by alota_cookin

52. Chapter Fifty by alota_cookin

53. Chapter Fifty-One by alota_cookin

54. Chapter Fifty-Two by alota_cookin

55. Chapter Fifty-Three by alota_cookin

56. Chapter Fifty-Four by alota_cookin

57. Chapter Fifty-Five by alota_cookin

58. Chapter Fifty-Six April Fool's Epilogue by alota_cookin

59. The REAL Chapter Fifty-Six by alota_cookin

60. Chapter Fifty-Seven by alota_cookin

61. Chapter Fifty-Eight by alota_cookin

62. Chapter Fifty-Nine by alota_cookin

63. Chapter Sixty by alota_cookin

64. Chapter Sixty-One by alota_cookin

65. Chapter Sixty-Two by alota_cookin

66. Chapter Sixty-Three by alota_cookin

67. Chapter Sixty-Four by alota_cookin

68. Chapter Sixty-Five by alota_cookin

69. Chapter Sixty-Six by alota_cookin

70. Epilogue by alota_cookin

~**NOMINATIONS**~ 2009 AND 2010!!!! by alota_cookin
~








WHOOT! Just wanted to take a moment, and thank those, of you, who loved Baylee enough, to nominate him!!! Baylee (and the guys) are very honored. ;-)

I appreciate all of you, for reading and sending me feedback.





For 2009...Life According To Baylee was nominated for...

~Nominated For: Best Unfinished Story in the Felix Awards here on AC~

~Nominated For: Best Group, Best Novel, and Best Drama in the Addicted To Backstreet Awards~


For 2010...Life According To Baylee was nominated for...

~Best Drama and Best Series in the Felix Awards, here on AC~


















~
Prologue by alota_cookin
“You are NOT getting a tattoo and that’s final!” We were standing in the living room, yelling at each other, again. This had been a common occurrence lately. It has become so frequent that it is hard to remember the moments when we aren’t fighting about…SOMETHING.

“That’s not fair! Everyone else is getting them!” I yelled.

“And, if everyone else decided it was cool to fly to Alaska so they could run around naked in the snow before screwing a seal, would you do that too?” he questioned me, at the top of his lungs while flinging his arms in the air. I just rolled my eyes. Leave it to him, to come up with an analogy that messed up!

“Why can’t a get a tattoo? You’ve got tattoos and AJ is covered in them!”

“Neither of us are FIFTEEN!” We both turned toward the front door that we heard opening.

“I came at a bad time, didn’t I? I could hear you two squabbling as soon as I got out of my truck,” AJ raised his eyebrows. He stood in the doorway with his arms crossed as he looked from me, to my guardian, then back to me.

“Yeah. Baylee, here, wants to get a fucking tattoo.”

“Tell him it’s no big deal,” I begged AJ. “After all, you have them. Wouldn’t it be hypocritical to tell me ‘no’? Just like you guys swearing and then telling me that I can’t.” I asked in a pleading manner.

“He’s right, Baylee. You can’t get one now. And, technically, it isn’t hypocritical because neither of us had any tattoos at your age.” AJ put his arm around me and squeezed my shoulder.

“Plus, I can fucking cuss as much as I damn well please because I…am…an…ADULT! When you are an adult, you can do whatever your heart desires. Cuss all day long, if you want! Cover your body in tattoos from head to toe, for all I care. I don’t give a shit, but, you have to wait until you are an adult…just like EVERYONE else!”

“This is so not fair! I HATE YOU!” I screamed in my guardian’s face.

“Great, I’m thrilled. But if you don’t get that attitude under control, then you will be hating me all weekend long…IN YOUR ROOM, instead of going to that concert. You are not getting a tattoo. End…of…discussion!” He spat back.

“You are unbelievable! How can you do this to me? If you don’t want me then send me to my Grandma and Grandpa’s to live,” I scowled before storming up the stairs to my room.

“See? I TOLD you guys from the beginning that I couldn’t do this!” I heard him say to AJ, as I reached the top of the stairs.

“He’s a teenager, man. They go through these stages.” AJ chuckled.

Okay, I guess I better clue you in, huh? My name is Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell, and I just turned 15 years old. The man downstairs that I was arguing with is my guardian…not my father. My parents died just before my 9th birthday.

It was a really bad car accident that took my parents away from me. My dad died instantly, on the scene, but my mom hung on for quite a while. She was on life support but, from what I’m told, she was brain dead. After 6 months on life support, with no improvement, the family decided that it was time to let her go.

I spent every day in that room, talking to her. Everyone told me that God would be the one to decide if she was going to stay with me or go to heaven with dad. When it came time to ‘pull the plug’ my Grandma L. told me that God must want her with them in heaven because she wasn’t getting any better. Saying goodbye to my mother was horrible but at least I GOT to say goodbye. I don’t know if she could really hear me, but I never even got the chance with dad.

At such a young age, I didn’t really even completely understand what was going on. Then, I had to move in with my new guardian. I had been in the care of my Grandparents until mom died. But, once she was gone, their will went into affect. That was when I found out where I would be living. Evidently, my parents had put together a will when I was born and kept it, pretty well, updated.

I got to keep quite a bit of my parent’s stuff and all their money went into bank accounts for me. My guardian divided it up…over half of it went into a college fund. The rest, according to my parent’s will, was/is to be spent on me for things I need or want, within reason, of course. It’s just too bad that HE gets to decide what is ‘within reason’.

I don’t REALLY hate him. We always got along when I was younger. Honestly, I love the guy but he still doesn’t compare to the real thing. Sometimes I just wish I could have my parents back. I don’t know why I get to upset and say such mean things to him, now. We hardly ever get along anymore and I’m not even, entirely, sure why.

So here it is…life according to me, Baylee Littrell.
Chapter One by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Thank you so very much to everyone who has reviewed already. I am surprised to see that so many people like it, already! *grin* I hope you like this chapter, too!

~
“Bay?” He knocked softly on my door, over an hour later. “I ordered take out. Are you hungry?”

“Did AJ leave?” I asked without answering his question.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “He said that you can call him later if you would rather talk to him as opposed to me. Which, we all know, you will.”

“Probably,” I agreed as I finally looked up at him from my position on the bed.

“At any rate, food will be here in a half hour. You can pick out a movie to watch while we eat, if you want.”

“Okay.” Was all I said before he walked back out my door. He gently closed the door and I pulled out my cell phone. It rang several times before AJ picked up.

“Hey there, little B,” he greeted. His girlfriend must be over because he sounded pretty chipper. The man was seriously head over heels for this chick. I was happy for him though. I have never seen him so happy…he’s like a love sick puppy.

“AJ, I’m the only B,” I sighed with a roll of my eyes.

“Hey now, don’t roll your eyes at me, young man,” he chuckled. AJ had a lot to do with raising me. He had been there for me and my guardian, ever since my parents passed. Sometimes, I think he knows me TOO well.

“Why does he have to be so strict?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Honestly, Bay, do you think your parents would have let you get a tattoo?”

“No,” I answered simply.

“Then why did you expect HIM to let you?” he asked me.

“Because, he is supposed to be cooler and let me do stuff that my parents wouldn’t have let me do.”

“Oh yeah, that makes PERFECT sense. Cut the guy a break, Baylee. He is trying to care for you the way your father would have. All he wants to do is make sure that you grow up to be the type of person your mom and dad would have wanted you to be. Besides, he’s not THAT bad.”

“Yes he IS! You don’t understand!”

“Aaaah, such a teenage thing to say. I can’t count how many times I told my mom that she didn’t understand me,” he chuckled. Why does AJ ALWAYS have to take HIS side? It is so frustrating, it seems like I have no allies.

“Maybe that’s because I am a teenager?” I asked sarcastically.

“Maybe. Or, maybe, you just don’t want to admit that he’s right. You knew, damn well, that he wasn’t going to agree to something like that! He lets you get away with a lot of stuff, if you think about it. Just imagine what it would have been like if you lived with your Uncle Harold.”

“Eeesh, I guess ANYone is better than him! I mean, I love Uncle H. but he is so weird!” I scrunched my nose at the thought and AJ laughed loudly.

“See? Things could always be worse. If you lived with me, I would probably be just as bad. We all love you Bay and don’t want to see anything happen to you. All of us are guilty of being a bit over protective,” his voice was so comforting. He was right, of course…not that I would admit that. I did remember how my grandparents reacted during the 6 months I spent with them. They did everything short of putting me in a bubble!

“The only thing worse, would be if I was ACTUALLY his son!” I exclaimed.

“Shut up, Bay. You love him, just as much as he loves you. I’m not stupid and I don’t believe, for a second, that you hate him. Besides, you are just as bad of a liar as your father was,” he snickered at me.

“You are not helping,” I said with a bit of anger.

“Oh, sorry, am I supposed to be helping? Because, I just thought I was here if you needed to talk…I didn’t say shit about helping.”

“You are such a smart ass, AJ.”

“Hey now, that’s smart ALEK to you, young man. Trust me when I say that soap does not have a very good flavor.”

“Let me guess…you know from experience, right?” I asked, rolling my eyes and grabbing a can of soda from the small refrigerator by my bed.

“A little too well, actually. I made the mistake of dropping the F-bomb in front of mom and Kevin when I was…come to think of it, I was right about your age. Of course, Nick laughed his ass off, but, when told me I shouldn’t have said that shit, he ended up right next to me with a similar bar of soap. I think it was Zest…whichever one has that distinct foresty, rainy, clean kind of smell,” he rambled. He always rambles on about stuff that happened when he was younger, which is funny because I have always thought he was too young to do that storytelling stuff.

“Irish Spring?”

“YEAH, that’s the one!”

“What did my dad and Howie do?”

“Your dad lectured us, like usual and Howie sat there, shaking his head,” he answered with another laugh.

“I bet you were a lot more careful, after that,” I replied and took another drink of my soda.

“Hardly! Nick and I found ourselves with a bar of soap in our mouths on a fairly regular basis.”

“But you give ME a hard time?”

“Hey, I said that I did it…I never said that it was right.”

“Yeah well…” I tailed off, not really sure what to say. Then I heard a yell from downstairs. “I think our take out is here.”

“Alright, Bay. Just…try, okay?”

“I guess. I will talk to you later.”

“Sure thing. And remember to cut him some slack,” AJ emphasized his point again. “Night, Bay.”

“Night AJ.” I flipped my phone shut before heading downstairs to eat.

AJ always did a good job of proving his point…which was USUALLY a good one. Curse him for making me feel guilty for starting, yet, another fight. I hadn’t intentionally gotten up in the morning, saying “I’m going to do whatever I can to make my guardian mad, today.” We just always…kind of…end up in a fight.

I guess my parents had a good reason for picking HIM, even though, I doubt, I will ever understand why. Granted, I used to get along with him really well but, now that I’m older, we are SO different! No one else understands why I got stuck with him either. By all rights, I should have been with a set of my grandparents or Uncle Harold, or even Uncle Kevin. But nooooooooooo. That’s not who I got at all!
Chapter Two by alota_cookin
“So, there’s this party tonight…” I started to bring up a new subject. We had just finished eating and were still watching the movie. The Chinese food was really good this time, I think he got it from a different place.

“No.” he interrupted me with a simple but firm answer.

“WHAT?!? Why not?” I scrunched my eyebrows and stared at him. He tore his eyes from the screen and locked them with mine.

“Today is Wednesday. It’s a school night. You have homework. You can’t go.”

“Are you kidding me? I have my reputation to uphold! I will be laughed out of school tomorrow if I’m not there tonight!”

“Honestly, Bay. You play football AND basketball. You are the most popular kid in the entire high school and you are only a freshman. Somehow, I doubt that missing one party is going to jeopardize that. If anything, everyone else will feel lame because it wasn’t a good enough party for you to show up at. Remember? You are the standard setter…if Baylee Littrell does it, then it must be cool; but if he doesn’t, then it’s gotta be lame.”

“Easy for you to say…you are WORLD FAMOUS!” I argued, tossing my empty carton on the floor.

“Go ahead, Baylee. I dare you to take a poll of ALL the Backstreet fans in the world because I am willing to bet that you are more popular than me and I am IN THE GROUP!” he raised his voice as he leaned toward me.

“Whatever,” I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

“You and Mason are more famous than ANY of US are…and you have been ever since you were born because all our fans are girls and they were all ‘goo-goo ga’ing over how fuckin adorable you both were. So don’t you even dare try to put that on me, as a guilt trip. Your precious popularity isn’t going anywhere and neither are you.”

“You know what? I don’t even see why AJ is such good friends with you. He is so cool and you are such a dick.”

“Look, you can call me what ever, the hell, you want but you are still under MY care and you are NOT going to that stupid party! Ding. Ding. Ding. Yatzee…FINAL ANSWER!” At this point, I could tell I was getting under his skin again.

“The only thing I hate about my parents, is their decision to make YOU my guardian.” I retorted as I narrowed my eyes in anger. Why can’t he just loosen up and let me go? UGH! I never get to do what I want.

“Oh, Boo fucking hoo. Cry me a river, build a damn bridge, and get the fuck over it Baylee.” He told me in a low voice. I can always tell how mad he is at me by how much he swears. He tries really hard not to swear at me but when we really get into it…he looses all his control and lets the cuss words flow.

“You know what…FUCK YOU! I’m going to bed.” I screamed in his face before turning on my heel and running up the stairs. Another typical night in our house, except, I usually don’t swear at him. I know better than that. I just couldn’t help it! He is being so ridiculous! I mean, what is the big deal? He just doesn’t want me to have any fun!

So guess what I did. I rummaged through my huge closet that was packed full of designer clothes and picked out an outfit. Quickly getting dressed and running a comb through my massively curly hair, I raced around my room. It was only 15 minutes before I was climbing out of my window and down the tree. I had called one of my older friends and told him to pick me up at the corner. There was NO way that I was going to miss this party!

Just as I figured, the party was awesome! I had some beers and danced with a cheerleader that I really liked. I was only gone for a few hours. Slowly climbing back up the tree outside my window, I made my way back up to my room. I quietly climbed through my window and into my dark bedroom. Tearing off my shirt, I tossed it to the floor and flipped on the light.

“Oh shit,” I said, barely above a whisper as I noticed, for the first time, that he was sitting on the chair, in the corner…waiting.

“Oh shit doesn’t even begin to cover it, Baylee.”

“I just went to talk to AJ, but I figured, if I asked, you wouldn’t let me do THAT either,” I said lying through my teeth and hoping that he would buy it. He was glaring at me with his arms crossed over his chest.

“Oh really? Well that changes everything because AJ has been sitting downstairs, waiting for your return, for the past two hours. After discovering that you were gone, he was the first person I called but, low and behold, you weren’t there. Strike one was you sneaking out. Strike two was you lying to me. Are we going to go for strike three?”

“I…um…” I stuttered while I fidgeted with my hands.

“That’s what I thought.”

“Hey, glad to see you could join us,” AJ said appearing in the doorway. “I called Kevin, Baylee. He’s on the way and he is NOT happy.”

“What did you do that for?” I shouted in disbelief. How could AJ turn against me, too? This was not, at all, fair. AJ was always the cool one, why is he being such a stiff?

“You are giving us no choice...hold the fucking phone for a sec…,” AJ scrunched his eyebrows and leaned forward as he came towards me. He looked me square in the eye. “You are so fucking busted, Baylee! I can’t believe this shit! Out of you?”

“Do I even want to know?” the voice in the corner spoke up, again.

“Baylee, you are to sit on that fucking bed and not move a god damn muscle until we get back. Do you understand me?” AJ asked with a look of pure anger and disappointment. Oh, I was in for it now!

“Yes.” I answered in a whisper, hanging my head and staring at the floor. If it would have just been my guardian, I would have been able to hide it, but with AJ there…I didn’t even stand a chance. The two of them left the room and I heard them talking. I knew AJ was telling him that I had been drinking. AJ knew that scene all to well.

“WHAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” My head shot up and my eyes grew so wide that I’m surprised they didn’t fall out. I had never, EVER heard him yell that loud!

Next thing I knew, the door flew open with such force that the door knob made a hole in the wall behind it. He took a hold of the wife beater that I was still wearing and pulled me close. Taking in a deep whiff of my scent, he let go and stepped back. His face fell and his eyes hazed over with a mixture of defeat and disappointment.

“Let’s leave him,” AJ said placing a hand on his shoulders. He and I had not broken the lock that our eyes had. He shrugged AJ’s hand off his shoulder. Letting out a deep sigh, he shook his head.

“Pack, Baylee. I think you need to go with Kevin, when he gets here. You’ll be staying there for a few days,” his voice was low and full of…sadness? Yes, I was sure that I detected quite a bit of sadness.

“I think he’s right, Baylee. We, obviously, aren’t doing the job well. Maybe Kevin can get through to you,” AJ agreed with a similar sadness. They left my room and went downstairs to greet Kevin, who would be there at any moment.

See, when I moved in with my guardian, AJ moved too. He got a place right down the street because he wanted to help raise me and be there to support both of us. I had majorly blown it this time and I knew it. I had hurt them both really bad. But, was there any way to fix it? Or, was it too late? I headed out of my room, without even packing, to try and talk to them. When I reached the top of the stairs I heard Kevin’s voice.
Chapter Three by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
I want to give a humungous thanks to everyone who has been reading! I have gotten a lot more feedback then I had ever expected. And, just for that...I will give you all, what you want, in this chapter! Enjoy and let me know what you think.

~
~


“I’m not taking him! You can’t pawn him off every time you two get into a fight,” Kevin shook his head. I just stood there and watched the scene unfold.

“You don’t understand Kevin! The kid HATES ME! He doesn’t want to be here, he doesn’t like his life here, and he sure, as hell, doesn’t want me as his guardian. I don’t know what to do anymore!” he screamed back. His back was to me, Kevin was facing him and AJ was on the side…so I could clearly see the looks on both Kevin and AJ’s faces, but not his.

“Kev…” AJ interjected. “I smelled booze on Baylee tonight. We have tried, like fuck, to get through to him but he just shuts us out.”

“NO, correction…he shuts ME out…he adores the fuck out of you. If I remember correctly I think his words were ‘I don’t understand why AJ is such good friends with you. He is so cool and you are such a dick.’.”

“Ouch,” AJ scrunched his nose.

“He was drinking?” Kevin furrowed his eyebrows.

“Yes.” The other two men answered.

“Oh boy,” Kevin sighed.

“See? What did I tell you guys? I TOLD you from the beginning that I couldn’t do this! Why did Brian do this to me? I am fucking up his son! I don’t even want to know what Brian would say to me, if he were here!” He asked. I could faintly hear what I thought to be sniffles. Was he really crying? Over me? What had I done?

“It’ll be okay. Teenagers are hard to deal with, it’s not your fault,” Kevin comforted and he and AJ engulfed him in a hug. I slowly made my way down the stairs until I was to the bottom, only a few feet behind them.

“Did you pack?” AJ asked me and he and Kevin looked up at me.

“No,” I answered. “I’m staying here.”

“I don’t believe that you are in a position to tell us what you are or are not going to do, Baylee,” Kevin said, crossing his arms. “I am very disappointed in you.”

“I know,” I nodded my head.

“AJ, let’s go,” Kevin put a hand on my guardian’s shoulder. “You two need to talk.”

“I believe that you owe a certain someone an apology, too,” AJ sneered at me. The rage and disappointment were still very evident in his voice and eyes. I simply nodded as they left. It was just me and him now. We stood in silence. He hadn’t even turned to face me.

“Go to bed, Baylee. You have school in the morning,” he instructed as he slowly trudged into the other room. He had still not looked at me. I was ruining the relationships that I had with both my guardian and AJ. I had betrayed their trust and acted like such a brat. I decided to follow him.

“Kevin is right,” I said softly to his back. He had taken a position on the large couch and was flipping through channels. “It’s not your fault. I have been acting like a brat.”

“I told you to go to bed, not that I expect you to listen,” he replied with a shake of the head.

“I heard what you said to Kevin,” I continued to talk and ignore his instruction.

“Baylee…” he stood up to, sort of, face me but still didn’t make eye contact.

“I don’t hate you…just so you know,” I blurted before he could tell me to go to bed, again.

“You act like it.”

“It’s not really intentional…it just kind of…happens.” I explained from where I stood in the doorway. I had to fix things. Not that I expected everything to be all hunky dory and fine, but I had really screwed up and needed things to start being okay, again. My parents put me with him for a reason and maybe I would figure it out, eventually. Until then, I have to trust their decision.

“Whatever. It’s well past midnight and you have school in the morning,” he said as he pushed past me. This was going to be a bit more difficult than I had expected.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered causing him to stop. He finally looked me dead in the eyes and that’s when I saw that he had, in fact, had a few streaks on his cheeks. He actually shed a few tears. Mind you, this is a big deal because he is not the type to really cry…so just those two or three tears told me how badly and how deep I had hurt him.

“Excuse me?” he questioned with disbelief and confusion dripping from his voice.

“I said…” I licked my lips before taking a deep breath to continue, “I said that I am sorry, Nick.” His light blue eyes were still locked with my darker blues. We just stood there as he was, obviously, trying to figure out if I was joking or not. “And…I…uh…” I took another long deep breath. “I kinda…well…I…I love you.”

“I love you, too, Baylee.” He smiled slightly and let out a sigh as he pulled me into a hug. Maybe we could start getting along again, now? I guess, we’ll see.
Chapter Four by alota_cookin
The rest of the week went pretty well, it was now Saturday afternoon. We got into an argument over my grades because I had failed a test, but other than that, it was a pretty smooth week. I was now on Christmas break. We actually got off on the 18th and didn’t go back until the 3rd of January! Needless to say, I am stoked!

“Come on Baylee! Howie is going to be here any minute. Help me get this house picked up,” Nick shouted up the stairs. “Don’t roll your eyes, just help. You know Howie is staying with us for the week and you also know what a clean freak he is!”

“Don’t remind me,” I chuckled at the thought of Howie’s severe obsessive compulsiveness. “Tell me again, why Leigh isn’t coming?” I asked as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

“She is spending time with her family. She told Howie that he should spend the holidays with the Backstreet family because he went with her last year,” he replied. I couldn’t help but smirk as I looked at my guardian’s appearance. His hair was stuck up in all directions and he had one leg of his sweat pants above his knee; he still had ketchup, from lunch, in one corner of his mouth and he had a frazzled look on his face. That is a classic vision of Nick…always in disarray.

“When is he going to be here?” I asked as I grabbed some of the clean laundry from his arms.

“I have to go pick him up at the airport in…” he trailed off looking at his watch. “OH SHIT! I’M LATE!”

“Classic. Howie is going to eat you for dinner,” I laughed with a roll of my eyes. “Aw man! You turned my socks pink again!” I held up a sock and scrunched my nose. “You better not come back unless you have some new socks for me!”

“Well if you would have helped me from the beginning, instead of leaving all the chores to me, then MAYBE this wouldn’t have happened!”

“I hate chores,” I groaned.

“So do I,” he furrowed his eyebrows. “Now, I have got to go get Howie. I will pick you up some socks on the way back but PLEASE try to do SOMETHING around here before we get back.”

“I’ll think about it…” I paused then shrugged giving him the answer, “it’s doubtful.”

“Rrrrr,” he growled at me as he sprinted out the door.

“Okay,” I started talking to myself as I looked at the pile of laundry in my arms. “It will take at least and hour and a half for him to get to the airport and pick up Howie. Knowing them, they will spend another hour in Wal-mart, plus another half hour to get back here. So that gives me about three hours to do something with this pig sty.” I looked around at the house. It was a MESS! Nick had spent most of the morning trying to clean but it didn’t look like anyone had touched it in over a month. “That gives me only one option…AJ.”

“Speak words,” AJ answered his phone.

“Hey, it’s me.”

“Well, howdy, Little B.”

“Can you come help me? Nick just left to pick up Howie and this house is still…well…”

“Trashed? Destroyed? You know, I heard something on the news about a natural disaster…I think they named it something like Nicklee…did you hear about that?” AJ chuckled at his own joke but I just groaned.

“He asked me to try and do something before they got back. I figured it would shock the pants off, both of them, if they walked in to see the place spotless. Plus, it would be another good way for me to try making it up to Nick for being a brat,” I explained quickly.

“Making it up to Nick, are we?” he questioned with a snicker.

“It’s been interesting, but I have really been trying. Failing my geometry test didn’t help the situation much, but other than that we have done pretty well the past few days. Oh hey, hold on there is someone at the door…”

“I’m very well aware of that,” AJ smirked as he pushed past me and slipped off his shoes. “Holy hell! This place has gone to the pits and I was just here three days ago!”

“I know. Nick fired that housekeeper over a month ago. I am surprised he kept up on it this long,” I smiled over at him.

“And, they are do back…when…exactly?” he asked hesitantly as he walked into the kitchen.

“He left at, about 2, so they should be here around 5 or so…Nick had to pick me up some socks. He turned mine pink,” I replied.

“Again? That man has turned more socks pink than everyone else in the world…COMBINED!” he shook his head with a sigh, “Let’s get to work,” he shook his head and shoved up his sleeves.

“I’ll brave the dishes and laundry, if you want to work on the living room and hallways,” I suggested.

“Sounds like a start. I should probably wear gloves,” he said sarcastically before laughing loudly and heading to the living room. I set to work on the mountain of dishes. After getting the first load in the dishwasher, I began to wash the rest by hand so they would get finished faster. AJ turned the stereo on and cranked the volume. I think we both got into the swing of things, before long, and were able to really get things done. Before I knew it, I was done with the kitchen; the floor included, and was tidying the dinning room.

“Yo, BayBay?” AJ questioned as he came into the dinning room to find me washing the large windows.

“Yeah, JayJay?” I asked as I turned long enough to give him a quick glance.

“I’m glad you called me. You are makin’ me proud today,” he smiled before ruffling my curls.

“Whatever dude. Save all that mushy crap for your woman.” I rolled my eyes and shook my head as I finished the windows. I wiped off the table and chairs before heading to start folding the laundry. AJ was now vacuuming the upstairs hallway. He had finished the living room and den and he had gotten all of the downstairs carpet vacuumed. It was now quarter after 4 and we only had 45 minutes or so to get done what we could.

“Hey, BayBay? I’m getting a bottle of water, you want one?” he asked as I folded the last of Nick’s shirts.

“Oh my gosh, YES!” I answered dramatically as I headed up to put the laundry away. AJ met me in my room with the bottles of water.

“Well, at least, the downstairs is spotless,” AJ sighed as he leaned in the doorway, watching me clean my room.

“Yep. My room is almost done and then I am going to get the room, down the hall, all set up for Howie,” I told him as I grabbed the vacuum to put the finishing touch on my room.

“Alright, I’ll head down and get started on it,” he turned and headed down to the guest room that Howie liked the most. Howie has stayed with us a couple times when he has visited. He lives out in New Mexico, now. They move a lot but I’m not really sure why. I don’t think I could remember all the places they have lived. Nick says that he and Leigh haven’t found the right spot where they want to settle down. Of course, that makes NO sense to me, but whatever.

“I’m done,” I said as I entered the guest room where AJ was tidying.

“Cool, so am I. I got everything set up just how he likes it. Get it? How he…Howie…how he?” his shoulders shook as he laughed.

“Lame, JayJay…lame,” I rolled my eyes. “HEY! Let’s order pizza and have it delivered! Nick and Howie should be here in 15 minutes, give or take,” I smiled widely at the thought. That was one thing that had rubbed off on me…Nick’s love for pizza.

“Good plan,” he stuck his tongue out at me and ruffled my hair on his way by. That was one of the annoying habits that EVERYONE in the Backstreet family seemed to have: ruffling up my curls. What is with that? I know they used to do it to Howie, but now, I am the ruffled curls target. How messed up is that? I’ll never understand the obsession they all have with curls.

“I think they are here, either that, or it only took 10 minutes for them to cook and deliver our pizza,” AJ said as he peeked out of the window.

“Quick, turn out the lights and let’s hide!”

“We have taught you well!” AJ teased as he hit the lights and we scampered in separate directions.

“Look, Howie, please forgive me for the mess, okay? We have had a lot of…things happening…lately,” I could hear Nick apologizing as he opened the door.

“I would expect nothing less from you, Nicky,” Howie laughed.

“Yeah well…it’s REALLY bad this time,” Nick moaned as he felt around for the switch. Turning the lights on he slipped off his shoes. Howie kicked his off too, and then they both froze.

“Oh yeah, Nick…it’s just plain awful. You can’t even walk in here!” Howie retorted sarcastically and I could just barely see him give Nick a really funny look.

“But…but…I…I don’t…” Nick stumbled over his words as they walked into the foyer. AJ and I quietly crept for our hiding spots…I was in the closet that was in the entryway and AJ was in the living room.

“HOOOWIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” we both screamed at the top of our lungs, causing both him and Nick to jump about 10 feet…then we tackled Howie to the ground and I messed up his hair.

“Aaaaw get off me, ya freaks!” Howie chuckled as he tried to fight us off.

“We missed you!” AJ smiled widely.

“Yeah, we missed you!” Our tackle turned into a big group hug before AJ helped him to his feet.

“The house looks great, Baylee,” Nick said softly after AJ, Howie, and I were all back on our feet.

“AJ came in as reinforcement,” I gave Nick a lopsided grin. “AND we ordered PIZZA!” I squealed as the delivery guy approached the house. AJ tossed the guy his money and I grabbed the pizza. We helped Howie take his bags upstairs and then the four of us sat down for an action flick and pizza. Ah, it was nice to have a guy’s nice with no females and no fighting! Plus, I knew Nick was pleased that I had managed to get the house spotless, with AJ’s help. Oh, and Nick’s room was the exception…there isn’t enough money in the UNIVERSE to get me to even attempt cleaning that room!
Chapter Five by alota_cookin
Okay since, I am guessing, that the only people reading this are Backstreet fans, I must explain to you something about Howie. First of all COME ON PEOPLE, his best friend is AJ! Why, in the halibut, do all of you think he is Mr. Goody Two Shoes? Seriously…do you think he would be joined to AJ at the hip if he was a saintly as you all make him out to be? You guys all know that AJ is a stage personality and Alex is the real guy…well, Howie is like that too, except he didn’t name his alter ego like AJ did. Howie isn’t quite as weird as AJ. Anyways, Howie is NOT, at all, what you fans think he is. So, whatever you think about Howie…forget it because it is probably not even close! Now that I have explained that, I can tell you what happened after we all went to bed.

“Psssssssssssst, BayBay? Psst.”

“Hmmm?” I groaned as I rolled over in my bed to see Howie’s head poked inside my bedroom door.

“Get dressed and let’s blow this joint,” he whispered. Smiling to myself, I hurried out of bed and threw on a pair of baggy jeans with a t-shirt. I quietly made my way down the stairs to find him and AJ waiting for me.

“‘Bout time, BayBay! Let’s roll,” AJ said as he pulled the keys from his pocket.

“Where are we going?” I asked as we walked out of the house.

“Out on the town, Little B,” AJ snickered, “we left Nickerbocker a note in case he wakes up, but since a hurricane could blow through without waking him, I think we’ll be safe.”

“Hold on just one second. You all freak out on me because I sneak out to a party but yet you two drag me out at 2 am to wreak havoc on the town? Is it just me or does that make no sense? We did just snuck out so what is the difference? Someone’s got some explaining to do because I am lost, here.”

“See, right now, you are under adult supervision,” AJ smiled.

“Yeah, you know that I am the responsible one,” Howie winked at me.

“Oh, my bad, they must have changed the definition of responsible.”

“Bite me!”

“Where? Mark the spot.” I challenged him.

“My ass,” Howie countered.

“Sorry, you’ll have to mark it with a red ‘x’ because you, my friend, are all ass!”

“Holy shit, Howie…you got BURNED!” AJ tossed his head back laughing loudly. Clearing his throat he tried to regain composer, “you shouldn’t swear BayBay.” His voice was cracking and his face was beet red as he tried to contain his laughter.

“I didn’t find that very amusing.”

“That’s only because old people are lame.”

“You better watch it, BayBay because old people don’t go down to the asylum in the middle of the night. If I am old we better turn the car around.”

“I was referring to AJ.”

“Um, and who’s the one driving? You shouldn’t insult the driver, you know.”

“No, see, it’s this OTHER AJ that I know.”

“Yeah whatever,” AJ rolled his eyes as he pulled into the deserted parking lot. We were at the old insane asylum. It had been shut down back in the 1980’s and was completely abandoned. The three of us had been here a few times before. I don’t know how much you know about the old asylums, but they were like their own little cities, within themselves. There are all sorts of tunnels underground that lead to each building and there are a lot of things just lying around in the tunnels and the rooms.

“They should be out good tonight,” Howie noted as he looked around at the familiar area. We walked up toward Building 50, with flashlights in our hands.

“I just hope I don’t get beat up, like last time,” AJ responded as we scoped out the surroundings. Cops were known to surveillance the area because of break ins…which is EXACTLY what we would be doing. Well, we don’t have to ‘break in’ because so many people do it that you just have to know where to go, to get in.

“We going to the top floor this time?” I asked as Howie tossed me a walkie talkie. We all enjoyed coming here, even Nick had come a couple times. Nick is a skeptic but Howie, AJ, and I fully believe in the paranormal. We come because we experience things when we are here. Have you ever watched that old show “Ghost Hunters”? All they play now are re-runs but that’s actually what it’s like. You hear, see and feel things and it is SOOOO cool! Nick doesn’t like me going because he is afraid something will happen. THAT is why Howie and AJ take me.

“We’ll see when we get in there and how much activity is going on tonight,” AJ answered my question as we ascended the concrete steps that lead up to the small porch and rickety old back door.

“Everybody remember the codes?”

“Yes, Howie. We go over this every time. Don’t we Little B?”

“Yeah. And, we have STILL never had to use them.”

“It’s still good that we have them and go over them. Now, let’s get down to business,” Howie turned and headed in through the door. We had this place down to an art, so we knew which boards, in the floor, to avoid and where to find cool stuff. Exploring this place never got old and the architecture was amazing!



“I can’t believe that door slammed in your face, AJ! That was so COOL!” I was wired and talking a mile a minute as we drove home. It was now almost 5 in the morning.

“That was sweet, Aje.”

“It scared the shit outta me! Oh, but, when BayBay’s hair got yanked…THAT was awesome.”

“Actually, that hurt.”

“I told you it was going to be a good night! I can’t believe we heard someone calling our names! That was pretty cool,” Howie nodded with excitement.

“Tonight was wicked, guys! You can totally wake me up to sneak out tomorrow night, too.”

“That will depend on if we are busted or not because I don’t remember leaving that light on,” AJ shook his head as he put his truck in park and we all got out. Heading towards the door, it became evident that Nick was, indeed, awake.

“Are we in deep?” I asked as Howie turned the knob.

“The answer is ‘yes’, Baylee. All three of you are in for it,” Nick answered. He was right in front of us: hair in shambles, no shirt, arms crossed, and sleep in his eyes. “You all went to the asylum again didn’t you?” he asked with furrowed eyebrows.

“Yes, but we are the ones who took him out, Nicky. Actually it was HIS idea,” AJ said pointing to Howie.

“You were supposed to take blame, Aje! You are the one who has a house down the street! Where am I gonna sleep when he kicks me out?”

“All of you go back to bed and we will discuss this later. NO MORE SNEAKING OUT!” Nick yelled before heading upstairs.

“Oh my God, we are so going to get lectured,” I sighed.

“Yeah but that little vein, in his forehead, was all throbbing again!” AJ snickered.

“Did you see the look on his face? He was going all ‘Kevin’ on us!” Howie covered his mouth as he started laughing hysterically. And everyone wonders where I get it from…just look at what I have for role models!

“Could you imagine what he would have been like if he went WITH us?!?” AJ and Howie were hanging onto each other’s shoulders as they continued to rant and laugh.

“He gets that funny look on his face and the muscles in his neck all tense up and shit,” AJ gasped for breath.

“Good night guys,” I shook my head and left them to their weird conversation. I rolled my eyes as I closed my bedroom door, still hearing them in fits of hysterics. God, I love those guys! Nick used to be just as much fun, but he has changed a lot over the past couple years. My thoughts twisted around my big, happy, dysfunctional family as I curled up, under the covers. After a little while, of my mind racing, I finally drifted back off to sleep.
Chapter Six by alota_cookin
“You guys are unbelievable!” Nick was shouting as he furiously made scrambled eggs. I was sitting at the table with Howie and AJ. We, all, were hanging our heads and listening to him rant as our noses filled with the aroma of bacon and eggs.

“Nick…” Howie attempted to speak but was immediately silenced by more of Nick’s outburst.

“NO! We just got over this whole sneaking about, behind my back shit. I am the fucking guardian, damn it! And, you two are undermining me by telling him that this kind of behavior is okay! Well, it’s NOT okay! He was supposed to be in bed…sleeping, not roaming around in condemned buildings. I can’t believe you would encourage him to completely disrespect me like that!”

“That wasn’t the point, Nick. We were just going to have some fun and knew you wouldn’t allow it.”

“Screw you, McLean! I am responsible for him! His life is in my care…what if something would have happened? Whose ass would it have been? MINE, that’s whose, I have responsibilities to him. And, I will be damned if I am going to screw this up! I am not Brian, damn it! HE was a good father and I am just trying my damn best to not fuck it all up, then you two go and destroy everything I have been trying to build in him! Baylee’s entire life depends on how well I raise him and I refuse to let his life turn out all jacked up because I can’t, fucking, do this.” Nick dropped the plates in front of us before storming out of the room. We jumped at the loud bang from Nick slamming the door as he disappeared into the basement.

“It’s official,” AJ spoke softly, “that man has some issues.”

“Why did my dad choose him?”

“None of us know the answer to that. It was a shock to all of us,” Howie set his hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze.

“You know,” I sighed, “I find it kind of funny.”

“What’s funny BayBay?” they both asked me, almost in unison.

“He is always talking about how much I hate him, but I really think that it’s just the opposite,” I stood and left the room, leaving my breakfast untouched. After climbing the stairs, I locked myself into my room and called my two best friends, Morgan and Sean. I met Morgan in fourth grade and she has been a close friend ever since. Sean and I met a few years ago and he fit right in with me and Morgan.

“Baylee? Are you okay?”

“This whole situation with Nick is so messed up, Morgan.”

“I thought things were going well.”

“Yeah, well, it didn’t last long.”

“I’ll be over in a few. Tree or door?”

“Better make it the tree. I couldn’t get a hold of Sean.”

“Yeah, he’s at his mom’s for the Christmas break, remember? But, we’ll talk when I get there. Bye.”

“Okay. Bye,” I sighed before I flipped my cell phone shut. “What?” I asked with irritation evident in my voice as I flung open the door.

“We need to talk Baylee.”

“There’s nothing to talk about. I get it. I won’t go anywhere or do anything or talk to anyone. I’ll drop out of public school and get someone to teach me at home. I won’t hang out with AJ or Howie and I will just stay in my room, acting like I don’t exist. THEN, you can go back to you perfect, happy life that you had before you got stuck with me. I’m sorry my dad screwed everything up for you by giving me to you,” I ranted, staring straight into his eyes with absolutely no emotion.

“Baylee…”

“You know what? Forget it.” I closed my door and flipped the lock, leaving Nick standing in the hallway.

“Come on Baylee,” Nick knocked on my door several times. “Let’s talk about this. We were doing so well.”

“I’m staying out of your hair, so why don’t you stay out of mine,” I scoffed without opening my door. I collapsed onto my bed and actually felt my eyes water a little bit.

After a few minutes, I got up and rummaged through my closet. I pulled out a big trunk of my parent’s stuff and drug it over to the side of the bed. Grabbing an old photo album, I began flipping through the pages and that’s when a few tears escaped my eyes. I can hardly believe it has been over 6 years. I miss them so badly.

“Hello?” I questioned into my cell.

“Hey,” Morgan answered softly. “Mom won’t let me come over, but later we can chat online, if that’s okay.”

“It’s cool. I’m kind of not in any shape for company, after all. I might go online later…I just…I don’t know.” I replied and flipped the phone shut, tossing it to the side. My eyes fell onto a picture of my dad holding me and Nick leaning in to kiss my cheek. I must have been about 4 or 5 years old. Why couldn’t things be that simple?

Gently, I closed the photo album and set it beside me before digging deeper into the trunk. Finding an odd looking book, I opened it to the first page.

March 18, 2005

Journal-

Leighanne and Baylee will be leaving tomorrow to go visit her parents. Unfortunately, I have to stay here and get some work done. They will only be gone for about a week, so it shouldn’t be TOO bad. But, I have never been away from Baylee for more than a day, or so, at a time. It will be rough, but I know God will keep them safe.

I have been so proud of Bub, lately! He is talking up a storm and is sleeping in a big boy bed now. I can’t believe he will be turning three soon. I never knew that being a father would feel so wonderful! Nothing in the world could replace the love that I have for my little man. I know that he will grow up to make me proud.

Ah, I have to cut it short, for now, Leigh is calling me to help get Baylee ready for dinner. As always, I pray for God to protect us and continue to surround us with his love. Oh, and I hope, no matter what the future holds, Baylee will know how much I love him.

- Brian T. Littrell


Tears spilled down my cheeks as I closed my father’s journal. I’ll never know why I had never noticed it before. Out of all the times I had sifted through the trunk’s contents, I had never thought to open that book. After placing the journal on my night table, I returned everything else into the trunk and pushed it back into my closet.

“BAYLEE!” AJ’s raspy voice broke me from my thoughts. “Lunch is ready.” Hearing him knock on my door, I wiped the tears from my cheeks and headed to the door. Flipping the lock, I opened it slightly before laying back down on my bed. I buried my face into my pillow.

“I’m not hungry,” I replied with a muffled voice.

“Well, if you change your mind, come on down and eat with me and Howie. Nick is holed back up in the studio so you won’t have to worry about him and his moods.”

“Whatever. Thanks.” I heard him leave and softly close the door. After making sure he was a safe distance away, I broke back down into tears. My head filled with memories of my parents as I cried myself into a fitful nap.
Chapter Seven by alota_cookin
March 27, 2005

Journal-

My family finally came back to me, today. I have never been so happy to see anyone in my life! I talked to them everyday, on the phone, while they were gone. Baylee got his curls trimmed while they were gone, not that you can tell.

I took them out to a nice dinner before we came home. Baylee made a mess of himself with the mashed potatoes! He ate all of his corn, like usual. Then, a couple fans came up to our table. As much as I love the fans, it gets annoying when I am trying to eat dinner with my family and they just walk right on up. After I signed a couple autographs they actually asked for Baylee to color them a picture! Can you believe that?

Anyways, we got home and I helped Leighanne unpack everything. She seems to be very agitated with me tonight, but I have no clue why. I am going to have to talk to her later and find out what’s wrong.

Baylee is tucked, tightly, in bed. He is excited for tomorrow. Nick and I are going to be taking him to the zoo for the day. I love going to the zoo with them, both of them get so excited! Nick loves it just as much as Baylee, and I like to watch their reactions to everything. It will be a fun day. God, I love those two goof balls!

Well since my yawning had increased greatly, I am going to turn in for the night, too. Another wonderful day is coming to a close and I am still no closer to understanding how I became so blessed.

- Brian T. Littrell


I closed the book and set it back on my nightstand. My nap had only lasted an hour and now, after reading, almost 2:30. Climbing off my bed, I straightened my clothes before heading downstairs. My eyes landed on Nick’s blonde hair as I walked into the kitchen.

“Did you talk to him Howie?” he asked without turning around.

“Not exactly,” I turned to see Howie standing behind me. He slung his arm over my shoulder.

“Well, someone has to do it.”

“Maybe YOU should, Nick. After all, you are the one turning into Kevin,” Howie chuckled.

“I am not turning into…” his voice trailed off as he turned around, seeing me standing there with Howie.

“Nick doesn’t like talking to me,” my eyes were locked with his. “I’m just a burden to him.”

“That’s not true, Baylee!” Nick argued and I felt Howie back away. Looking over my shoulder, I saw him retreat into the other room.

“You are such a liar! Admit it, you don’t want me, do you? The only reason you kept me is because you thought you had to.”

“Baylee, you don’t know anything about why I kept you. You don’t know anything about why I do anything that I do! You think you understand but you don’t.”

“Oh, I am pretty sure that I get the picture,” I crossed my arms and scowled at him from the doorway. He was busying himself with the dishes from their lunch.

“You DON’T get it Baylee! OKAY? And you never will, damn it! If you got it, you would understand that I can’t be that buddy that runs around Disney with you, squealing, goofing off in line, and pelting your dad in the head with peanuts! I CAN’T BE THAT GUY ANYMORE!”

“Yeah, well he was a lot better than whoever you are now,” I rolled my eyes and glared in his direction.

“Don’t you think I fucking know that? Damn it, Baylee! I just…I just can’t be him anymore, no matter how much I want to.”

“Why not? I liked being around you when you were like that!” I screamed as I walked closer to where he was standing.

“Guys like that can’t raise kids properly! I’m supposed to be all mature and shit now.” He shouted back. We were only a foot away from each other now as our battle raged on. “You have to deal with it and you have to listen to me!”

“AAAH! You USED to be my friend!”

“Yeah and NOW I am you guardian!”

“UGH! Why can’t you be both?” I stormed out of the room and started taking the stairs, two at a time. But I froze when I heard his response.

“I just…damn it, Baylee, I don’t know HOW!” He had followed me and was standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at me. I could see AJ and Howie in the living room doorway…I KNEW they had been listening to the whole fight. All I could do was stand there and stare at him.

“Just loosen up a little, Nicky,” AJ stepped up and put an arm around Nick’s shoulders. Nick just continued to glare up at me and didn’t even acknowledge AJ’s presence.

“Brian, obviously, had faith in you, Nick,” Howie came to his other side.

“STOP! None of you get! Damn it. Uh! Just leave me alone,” Nick flung his arms in the air and stormed back downstairs to the basement. Knowing him, he was going to lock himself in his studio, again.

“Okay, Howie, it looks like you are going to have to go into the mediator mode of yours,” AJ sighed.

“I don’t think I should. First of all, I haven’t done that in a while so I am probably a bit rusty. Second of all, this just needs to build up until it explodes. Eventually the two of them will REALLY blow up and everything will come out. Nick will end up screaming, to the world, everything that is going on in that blonde head of his and Baylee, here, will spill his guts, too. Then they will hug and make up.”

“Okay, when did you turn psychic?”

“I’m not going to tell him what I think or feel because there’s no point, guys. He just gets mad and we fight. Besides, it’s not important.” I grabbed my keys and headed to the door. “If Nick decides he cares, tell him I went to Morgan’s. He knows her, where she lives, and the number. Plus, I have my cell.” I shook my head and left the house. It was a bit of a walk to Morgan’s house, but maybe it would give me time to think and clear my head.

I slowly trudged along, in the direction of my friend’s house. I was halfway there when it started to rain. It wasn’t a hard rain but it was more than a light sprinkle. I stopped in a little coffee shop, on the way, and sat at a small table with a cappuccino. Sipping it slowly, I warmed up and dried off a little bit before heading on my way again. I was finally walking up to her apartment, 15 minutes later.

“Well hello, Baylee,” Morgan’s mother greeted.

“Hi, Lisa, how are you?”

“I’m well. Come in and let’s get you all dried off.”

“Thanks. Where’s Morgan?” I asked as Lisa handed me a towel to dry my hair.

“She’s in her room. You may go ahead on in, she is just playing on the computer.”

“Thanks,” I smiled at her before heading to Morgan’s room. “Hey,” I greeted her as I ruffled her jet black curls. That’s only one thing that we have in common.

“BAYLEE! Guess what?!? Jason called and asked me out!” she squealed.

“You just better be careful with him. I know you think he’s cute and everything but he’s really not up to any good.”

“Oh poo, you’re just acting like a protective brother, again.” See, Morgan isn’t…well…she’s a computer nerd. I like her curls but they are usually not brushed and are just all tangled. Then, her clothes…well she lives alone with her mother and they don’t exactly have much money, so her clothes are usually out of style, stained, or torn. She is not, at all, ugly, but she’s not what the popular crowd calls beautiful either.

Morgan is, like, my best friend but the only way she is even partially popular is by association. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but none of my other ‘friends’ really like her, they haven’t even bothered to get to know her. But, they pretend to like her and everything because I am so popular and she is my friend.

“Somebody’s got to look out for you. And, I am telling you that Jason is a jerk.”

“He’s your friend!”

“We’re on the football team together…I hardly consider that to mean we are friends.”

“But he asked me out…ME!”

“Don’t go. I’m telling you! You’ll regret it.”

“Whatever, Bay. Anyways, I know you didn’t come here to talk about my date tonight. What is going on with you and Nick?” She swiveled in her chair as I finally plopped down on her worn out mattress that was just on the floor.

“I don’t even know what to do anymore, Morgs. We can’t even talk anymore without it turning into a huge fight. We did really well for a couple days but then all hell broke loose again,” I explained as I stretched out on her blanket.

“Why do you guys have such a hard time?” she stretched out next to me and rested her head on my arm.

“I don’t know. He said he didn’t know how to be my friend AND my guardian. So, I guess I am just stuck with him being all uptight and everything.” She turned to face me and propped her elbow on the pillow while resting her head in her hand.

“He sounds confused.”

“I found my dad’s journal this morning,” I looked up into her eyes. Her eyes were a really weird color…they were kind of a light brown and they had little flecks of green in them.

“Really?” she perked up and was now sitting Indian style looking down into my eyes with anticipation.

“I have only read two entries, so far,” I began explaining, “I am hoping that I will learn something good. Like, why they chose Nick as my guardian, for example.”

“Are you sure you really want to know the reason?”

“Nope.”

“You’re crazy Baylee. I hope you find what you are looking for, though.”

“You kids want some homemade chocolate chip cookies?” Lisa poked her head in the door before entering with a plate of cookies and a couple glasses of milk.

“YUM! I love your cookies, Lisa. They are sooo good!” I grabbed a cookie, taking a bite, and also a glass of the milk.

“Yeah, thanks mom,” Morgan smiled. The two of us sat enjoying our snack. After we were done, we talked for another half hour before I decided to start walking back.

“I’ll talk to you later,” I gave Morgan a tight hug and let myself out the door.

“See ya, Baylee,” she smiled as she watched me head down the stairs of the apartment building. I heard their door close just as I headed out the main door and back into the rain. It was a lot lighter now, just barely a drizzle. As I walked, I thought about how I could, actually, talk to Nick. It would be tough, but we really needed a good talk and I think he knew it, too.
Chapter Eight by alota_cookin
I climbed the tree, when I got home, so I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone. All I wanted was some time to think things through. Flopping down on my bed, I reached over and grabbed my dad’s journal.

March 28, 2005

Journal-

Baylee has finally crashed out for the night and Nick is sleeping soundly on the floor in Baylee’s room. He was too worn out to drive home and Baylee insisted that Nick sleep in his room. The two of them ran themselves to death today at the zoo!

It was highly amusing to watch those two. I think they ran around the zoo about five times! Then, Nick even talked Baylee into holding one of the snakes. I got pictures of them sitting on a bench with the huge boa. Leighanne just about freaked when Baylee told her about it. Baylee insisted on seeing the elephant six times and Nick dragged us to the aquarium more times than I can count. They both stood there, for over an hour, trying to name all of the fish. Quite honestly, I had a hard time keeping up with them all day. But I had just as much fun as they did. I really enjoy doing things with them; they make every outing a blast.

Oh, and THEN we stopped at McDonald’s on the way home. Baylee got his usual nugget Happy Meal but the cutest thing was when Nick got two Happy Meals for himself just so he could get the toys and play with Baylee! I had to take the action figures away from them until they finished their food…yes, Nick, too. After leaving, Nick sat in the backseat so they could play with their action figures for the rest of the ride home. Sometimes, I think Nick is my son, too! …


My reading was interrupted by the ring tone of my cell phone. Digging it out of my pocket, I saw it was the house number. “Hello?”

“Baylee? Are you alright? It’s getting late and I was starting to worry,” Nick’s soft voice floated through the phone. His voice carried a tone of concern.

“I’m in my room. I got home about an hour ago,” I responded as I laid my father’s journal back on the night stand.

“Oh, I didn’t hear you come in.”

“I didn’t really want to talk to anyone, so I just climbed up the tree.”

“Oh. Well, um, dinner is done if you want any, or I can just order you something.”

“I’ll be right down,” I flipped my phone shut and tossed it on the bed. My stomach growled as I began jogging down the stairs. The smell from the kitchen, actually, wasn’t that bad. “What’s cookin, Nicky?” He looked up at me with a bit of confusion. I hadn’t called him ‘Nicky’ in years, but reading the entry about us at the zoo made me want things to be like they used to be.

“Um…it’s uh…chicken. I, actually, got the recipe from AJ, who got it from his mom. It’s, like, a baked casserole kind of thing.”

“It actually smells pretty good. Where’s Howie?”

“He went out with AJ to a club or something,” he sat a plate in front of me before sitting down straight across the table.

“Nick?” I looked up before shoveling a forkful in my mouth.

“What, Baylee? Is it that bad?” His face dropped as he looked to me for my answer. He had not yet taken a bite, but, food was not what I wanted to talk about.

“No, the food is actually edible, for a change,” I smirked. “What I wanted to ask was: if you remembered when we went to the zoo with my dad?” I continued eating but Nick dropped his fork and stared at me as if he couldn’t believe I asked that question.

“Um…yeah,” he nodded towards me with scrunched eyebrows.

“What about the time that you got two Happy Meals just so you could have toys and play with me?” I pushed the subject further, hoping that we could ease into what we REALLY needed to talk about.

“I…um…how did you…I mean…who…um…”

“Do you or don’t you?”

“Well, yeah, I remember. It was the time that we held that snake. Why do you bring it up? I’m surprised you remember.”

“I don’t remember. But I was bringing it up because I miss that Nick.”

“We’ve been over this Baylee,” he sighed.

“I know…I’m just saying. Oh, and remember the time we went to Sea World? Dad kept telling us not to get to close, but we wouldn’t listen and we ended up drenched because a whale sprayed us!”

“I…I remember that!” he tossed his head back as he laughed.

“Then, the summer, right before that accident, you, me and dad camped out in the back yard…” I trailed off, hoping he would continue and he did.

“Oh yeah, we stayed up telling scary stories and ended up having a huge marshmallow fight!”

“Yeah, and when mom woke up, she freaked out because there were marshmallows everywhere and the sun was melting them into the grass!” We were both holding our sides as the memories came flooding back to us. Watching them in our minds like short movies, we continued to reminisce.

“And then there was the time that we covered your dad in silly string, right before he was supposed to take your mom out for dinner.” Nick brought up the next memory.

“Mom got some in her hair…”

“She went postal! We both got grounded.”

“We weren’t allowed to play together for, like, a week!” I could still see the look one her face as she tried to get the silly string out of her hair. “Oh…remember when we pretended to drown on April Fool’s Day?”

“We almost gave your dad a stroke!” his face was a dark red now and I am sure that mine was too.

“It was just too bad that I couldn’t hold my breath any longer! He was all like ready to give you mouth to mouth, until you spit water in his face!”

“You were pretty young, so you might not remember, but there was the time where I wrapped you up in a box for Kevin’s birthday…”

“Oh yeah…dad told me about that! You guys told him he had to open it immediately and when he started ripping the paper, I sat up and scared him out of his britches!”

“Yeah, the box had a top and it popped off of your head and hit Howie in the forehead because he was sitting on the floor!” Nick continued. We both took several deep breaths to calm ourselves.

“Hey, did we ever do anything to AJ?” I tilted my head to the side.

“You know, I can’t remember us doing much of anything to AJ. When you were younger, you were more afraid of AJ than anyone else.” Nick’s trademark smirk formed on his lips.

“Well…” I smiled, “I’m not afraid of him NOW.” I wiggled my eyebrows.

“What are you suggesting…Baylee?” he raised an eyebrow. I leaned my elbows on the table and looked him in the eyes. Maybe there was still hope of getting the OLD Nick back, after all.

“I am suggesting that we play a little prank on him. We may as well include Howie, since he is here.” I waited anxiously for a response as he leaned back in his chair. Come on Nick…take the bait…you know you want to. Up until now, he has NEVER been able to resist his prankster ways. He couldn’t have really changed THAT much…could he? I couldn’t read the look on his face as he just stared at his half eaten plate of food.
Chapter Nine by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Thankies, for all the reviews everyone! You all rock! *muah*

~~~~~
“A…J…” Nick gasped into the phone before I snatched it from him.

“Nick? What happened? What’s going on? NICK!” AJ’s voice rang through the phone.

“NO!...BAYLEEEEE!!!” Nick screamed just before I slammed the receiver onto the base. I ripped the phone line from the wall. It was only a few minutes before AJ and Howie came busting through the front door.

“NICK! BAYLEE!” Howie screamed as I heard him and AJ climbing the stairs. I met them at the top landing, blood covering my hands and clothes.

“WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?” AJ demanded as he shoved past me with Howie on his heels. I followed close behind them as I tried to explain.

“He told me ‘no’. We talked, we remembered, I asked him to play a prank on you guys and he…he…he told me ‘no’! I’m so sick of hearing ‘no’.” I shivered as they rushed into Nick’s room.

“What did you do, Baylee?” Howie gasped as they both leaned over Nick’s bloody body.

“I couldn’t take it any more! He was ruining my life,” I choked as I stood, frozen in the doorway.

“Yeah, right,” AJ chuckled. “You two are busted. Pranks over, you got us.”

“Yeah, Nick. Get up,” Howie said shoving Nick’s shoulder. When he didn’t move AJ slapped the right side of his face. Still, there was no response.

“I gotta get out of here. Cover me, please?” I pleaded as the sound of sirens came within ear shot. “At least give me a head start.” I scrambled out the door leaving them bent over Nick’s lifeless body.

“Wait…BAYLEE!” AJ chased after me. “You can stop the act.”

“LET GO!!!” I screamed as the sirens grew closer. Breaking free from his grip, I ran out the back door. I saw AJ, in the corner of my eye, head back up the stairs at break neck speed. I rounded the side of the house. The sirens stopped in front of the house.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!” AJ’s voice rang through the air, followed by Nick’s obnoxious laughing.

“YOU’RE A DEAD MAN!!!!” Howie’s voice was the next one to reach my ears as I came around the front of the house.

“Hey Aaron,” I greeted him as he climbed out of his car.

“Hey, Bay. Did it work?” he snickered. We both busted at the seams as Nick came flying out the front door, covered in blood and followed by a very mad AJ and Howie. Just as Nick and I figured, the sirens and me ‘fleeing the crime scene’ made them think that it wasn’t a joke, after all.

“I think that should be taken as a ‘yes’,” I snickered as I watched them run at full speed. Suddenly, AJ skidded to a halt and redirected his course. My eyes widened as I saw him coming at me.

“BAYLEEEEEEEEEEEE!” his face was beet red as he charged toward me. Screaming, I headed around the house and jumped into the pool. AJ splashed in next to me as Nick and Howie rounded the side of the house before joining us in the pool. It became an all out battle and water war. Aaron was smart enough to split before he got pulled in to it.

“We got you guys so good!” Nick laughed hysterically. AJ jumped on him, dunking him under the water.

“You have to admit it; we DID have you both fooled.”

“That’s only because that little punk came with the sirens!” Howie splashed me.

“It doesn’t matter…you STILL bought it.” I high five’d Nick as we all climbed out of the pool.

“We’ll get you back,” Howie smiled as he dried off and sat in the poolside chairs.

“I can’t understand a couple things, here. One: how the hell did Nick’s ADD not get the best of him? Two: How did Baylee talk Nick into the whole thing, to begin with.”

“Well, Aje, it’s just been a little too long.” Nick smirked. We all laughed about the whole incident for a while longer before changing into fresh clothes and heading out for dinner. The night was great! All four of us were so relaxed at dinner and we watched movies after getting back to the house. It was well past midnight before AJ headed back to his own place. Nick, Howie and I all headed up to our rooms.


“Okay, dad, let’s see what you have to say tonight,” I spoke out loud as I flopped on my bed and grabbed the worn journal from the table. Locating the spot where I left off, I began reading again.

June 1, 2005

Journal-

Get ready for a not so average entry. Kevin really agitated me today. He gave me an hour long lecture on raising Baylee! Can you believe that? I can’t believe half of the things he said to me. Practically insulting my abilities as a father, he told me that I was more of an older brother to Baylee than a father because of all our goofiness, fun, and games. I am so mad at Kevin, right now that I could just…AAAH! I don’t even know!

So, now, I am questioning the decision that Leighanne and I made when we put Kevin down as the guardian in the event of something happening to us. I love my cousin with all of my heart, but my fathering skills are mine, not his. Leighanne and I like how we are raising our son and I just don’t think it was right the way he spoke to me today. Whether or not he was trying to insult me is irrelevant. His ideas of raising a child differ from mine, so what? That doesn’t mean that my way is wrong! Not that his way is wrong either! Kevin isn’t even a father yet but he decides he knows the best way for me to raise my son?

Kevin has always taken control of the group and been the leader / fatherly figure. He has always kept us in line and on track. He has always done a great job, too. I value his opinions and advice but not a lecture on everything he thinks I am doing wrong! Excuse me for blowing off steam, but I really can’t even stand the sight of him right now! I am so offended. He basically told me that I was a failure as Baylee’s father, without actually saying the words. I just hope that my son doesn’t grow up to think the same of me.

Baylee is a wonderful boy and all of us love him. I am sure Kevin just wants the best for him, but I am beginning to think that, that would not include Kevin ever being his guardian. This makes things so rough and complicated. Leighanne agrees that, maybe, Kevin wouldn’t be the best choice, but who would be? I have a lot of thinking to do. Plus, I need to sit down and have a heart to heart with my anal retentive cousin. Maybe, things came out wrong or maybe I just took it too personally. I guess we’ll see. May God help me to sort this out.

- Brian T. Littrell


So, Kevin WAS supposed to be my guardian? My thoughts raced as I tried to figure out if this was the turning point of, what ended up being, my future. I wanted to read on, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Something was holding me back. Was my father really going to spell it all out for me? Was I really going to find out how I got Nick as a guardian? Why had I never found this journal before?

“I don’t think you failed as a father, dad,” I whispered as I turned out my lamp. Darkness filled the room as I lay staring into it. Sleep did not come easy for me and when it did come, it was not very restful. Dreams filled my mind as I tossed and turned.
Chapter Ten by alota_cookin
June 4, 2005

Journal –

The past few days have been extremely rough for me. I talked to Kevin more and got no further with him. He is still convinced that I need to ‘grow up and start being a proper father figure’. We have spoken several times in the past few days, both in person and on the phone. He is a lost cause!

Then, Nick stopped by today. He was there, where Kevin initially reamed me out, so he came by to check up on me. I swear he wasn’t here more than a half hour before he was dragging me and Baylee out! Leighanne spent the day with some girlfriends so I agreed to go with Nick. Baylee, of course, put up NO fight! Soon, I found myself at the mall watching Nick and Baylee go around on the Marry-Go-Round for the millionth time. Nick was overacting each time the horse went up and down, throwing his hands in the air and screaming ‘weeeeeee!’. Baylee followed in suit and they both returned to me in fits of laughter. I’m not sure if I was more amused by Nick acting like that or by the stares he received for it!

We had pizza and soda for lunch, and then Nick took Baylee over to Dairy Queen. The two of them shared the largest banana split they had to offer. Leighanne is going to kill me when she sees that Baylee got hot fudge all down the front of his new white Tommy shirt. Why does that woman even bother to PUT him in white?!? Baylee is just as messy as Nick!

Needless to say, we got recognized as we shopped. I about died laughing when some skinny bleach blonde asked Nick if he had a girlfriend. It wasn’t her asking that made me laugh…it was Nick’s answer. He said, and I quote, “Nope, no girlfriend. But, that’s cool with me because I can spend more time on the Marry-Go-Round with my bestest buddy, Baylee!” Oh man! The look on that poor girl’s face was PRICELESS! Now, mind you, I am sure that if Baylee wasn’t around, Nick may have flirted and possibly gotten a number; but Nick is so wrapped up into being Baylee’s buddy that he even blows off chicks! Don’t tell him I told you, he would kill me…he has a reputation to uphold, you know.

Well, I guess I better give Kevin another call and try to figure out how to smooth things over. Both sets of Baylee’s grandparents have said that he would be better off with a younger family member. After all, they are getting up in years and no one wants Baylee to have to go through a move like that more than once. Harold…well…I’m not too sure about him. I really want to sort this out as soon as possible, though. TTFN. Ta-Ta for now!

- Brian T. Littrell



The bright sunshine was streaming in through the crack in my curtains as I set the book back in its designated spot. My dad sure seemed to be having difficulties with Uncle Kevin. But the thoughts of Nick, taking me on the Marry-Go-Round, made me chuckle. I rolled my eyes as I got up to get ready for the day.

“Heya, Howie,” I smiled as I joined him in the kitchen.

“Hi, Baylee. How did you sleep?”

“Well, and you?”

“Oh, I slept fine, I suppose. Your uncle Kevin is here,” he looked up at me with sympathy in his eyes.

“Why? What happened? He doesn’t usually come around unless something needs fixing,” I rolled my eyes as I grabbed an orange from the bowl on the counter.

“Somehow, he found out about yesterday’s prank. He’s in the den with Nick.” Giving Howie one last glance, I made a break for the den. The two doors were cracked just a little in the middle, where they came together. Even though I know it’s rude, I still decided to listen in.

“How can you be so childish?” Kevin’s voice roared. With him talking like that, I was surprised I couldn’t hear him in the kitchen!

“It was just an innocent prank, Kevin. Lighten up!” I did a double take, hearing Nick’s response. He…almost…sounded like…me.

“You are his guardian, Nick, not his brother! Grow up!”

“HELLO! I tried that! I couldn’t get the kid to listen to me when I mimicked you! Now that I am back to being me, instead of you, he actually worked on that book he is supposed to read, over the break for school! Oh, and I didn’t even have to ASK him to do it. I couldn’t get him to even LISTEN to the word ‘homework’ when I was your clone, Kevin.”

“Brian trusted you with the well being of his son and you are just screwing it all up! You have to realize that you aren’t his little buddy anymore, you are his GUARDIAN!”

“Yeah, Kevin, you’re right. I am. And, if Brian wanted me to be an exact clone of you he would have just given Baylee to…YOU! But NO! Brain gave Baylee to ME…M…E…ME! He OBVIOUSLY didn’t want me to be you! He wanted me to be…ME!” Nick’s voice was at top notch. I peaked through the crack and saw the two men, almost nose to nose, both of their faces beet red. “This is who I am, damn it! If you don’t like it, you don’t have to come around!”

“That’s the last straw. I told you a long time ago that, if you didn’t grow up and raise him right, that I would fight for his custody. You will be hearing from my lawyer.” Kevin shoved Nick backwards before heading to the door. The color drained from my face as the realization hit me. Nick didn’t change because he wanted to change…he changed because he didn’t want Kevin to take me from him! This, kind of, changes things JUST a little bit…and made me feel a TAD guilty for the way I treated Nick.

“I want to stay with Nick,” I squeaked as Kevin flung the doors open. I looked up at the two men as they both stared at me.

“This is not up to you, Baylee, so stay out of it,” Kevin shouted down at me, causing me to stumble back a bit. “No one cares what you WANT. I am going to do what is BEST.”

“But…” I began to speak but Nick’s angered voice interrupted me as he grabbed Kevin’s shoulder. Spinning the older man around, Nick shoved him up to the wall.

“As of this moment, Baylee is STILL in MY care and you WILL NOT, under ANY circumstances, talk to MY dependant like that!” Nick’s finger poked Kevin’s chest repeatedly as his harsh words filled the entire house. “Call your fucking lawyer if you damn well want to, but don’t you, even for a second, think that there won’t be a battle to the end!” Nick’s face was almost purple and I could practically see the anger coursing through his veins.

“You’ll lose,” Kevin’s voice matched Nick’s as Howie came up behind me.

“Don’t hold your breath, Richardson. Now, kindly get your god damn ass out of MY fucking house! You aren’t welcome here!”

“Come on Baylee,” Howie gently placed a hand on my shoulder. “You don’t need to witness this.”

“Actually, I have something to say,” I looked at Kevin. “My mom and dad picked Nick to be my guardian and THAT is what’s BEST.”

“You listen to me…” Kevin leaned towards me.

“RICHARDSON! I said to get the fuck out of MY house, which means that you are now trespassing on my property. I suggest you get your ass to moving before I get the authorities involved.”

“Let’s go Baylee. You are coming with me. Nick isn’t fit to care for you,” Kevin grabbed a hold of my upper arm.

“Oh, I see you want to add kidnapping to the list? Because, since I don’t give you permission to take him…that makes it kidnapping.” Nick must have struck a nerve because Kevin stormed out of the house, slamming the door so hard that it popped back open.

“I knew he was on your back, man, but WOW!” AJ’s voice broke the silence.

“How much did each of you hear?” Nick questioned, looking at the floor.

“Start to finish,” Howie answered quietly.

“Um…I came in when you were talking about me doing my homework,” I looked up at the man who was now frowning at me.

“Yeah, that’s about where I tuned in, too,” AJ nodded. Nick stepped toward me and pulled me into a hug. He held me tightly and rubbed my back.

“I’m sorry you had to hear that, BayBay,” his voice was now barely above a whisper. I can’t remember the last time Nick used that nickname for me. AJ and Howie never stopped, but Nick had, at some point, began calling my nothing but Baylee. “I won’t let him take you, do you understand? He won’t take you from me!”

“Nick,” my voice cracked as I looked up at him. “He won’t really take you to court, will he?”

“I sure hope not,” Nick failed at displaying the smile he tried to force.

“We are here to back you up,” AJ crossed his arms and leaned on the wall next to where I was standing.

“100 percent,” Howie nodded with a half smile. “I hate for us all to gang up against him, but he has no right to be acting like this. He is being absolutely ridiculous.”

“Enough of this,” Nick shook his head. “We need to go somewhere…do something…” he slid past us and headed to the kitchen. “You know, we should get our minds off of the whole situation.”

“Good idea, Nickers. Shall we hit the arcade?” AJ smirked.

“HELL YEAH!!!” Nick and I shouted. We all grabbed our things and piled into AJ’s truck. All of us pushed Kevin from our minds and focused on keeping the mood light and fun. The whole day was wasted playing video games, eating pizza, crushing cans on our foreheads, and arm wrestling.

After we finally piled out of the truck and into the house, we all sat around a huge bowl of popcorn to watch a movie. We all decided that, since Christmas was only 3 days away, we would spend the next day shopping. We would pair up and trade off so we didn’t have to shop alone but we wouldn’t have to spoil any surprises either. This Christmas was going to be a bit different for us. We were down to a party of four, but we were the closest four.

When the movie was over, I settled into bed for the night and decided to read one more journal entry. I HAD to know how things unfolded and I wanted to get to the part where he chose Nick before we ended up in front of a judge, fighting for me to stay with him. My dad’s journal may provide some good leverage in court.


June 6, 2005

Journal –

You know what SCREW KEVIN! I am officially taking him out of the will COMPLETELY! I just have to figure out where to go from here. I have racked my brain all day and I have ruled out my brother for reasons that are better left unsaid. I am now finding myself back at square one with no map to tell me where to go.

Baylee is everything to me and this is not a decision to take lightly. Leighanne is being no help, either. I don’t know what to do! This journal will be worn to pieces by the time I work this all out. This is going to make performances and appearances a bit more tense for everyone. I am going to have a hard time being civil to him for a while.

Luckily, the other guys are backing me up, rather than Kevin. Nick, AJ, and Howie have all been there for me through this and I think my heart will lead me to entrusting one of them with my son, in the event that something happens.

Why can’t we be like normal parents who just write someone in and be done with it? It’s not supposed to be difficult. I feel my hair graying. I’m going to bed.

- B.T.L.


.
End Notes:
Yeah yeah, sorry to all the Kevin lovers, lol. Kevin is the ass hole in this story. *shruggs* It is what it is.


~
Chapter Eleven by alota_cookin
The four of us were at the mall bright and early the next morning. To start off, AJ and Howie paired up leaving me with Nick for the first half of the day. After lunch we would trade off and finish shopping. Each pairing went in a different direction. For the first hour, Nick and I didn’t talk much. The silence was driving me crazy.

“So…” I tried to spark some kind of conversation.

“What?” he looked up from the rack of gothic looking clothes. In case it isn’t obvious, we were working on AJ first.

“Are you going to give me the silent treatment all day?”

“Aw, BayBay, I’m sorry,” he walked over to me and slung his left arm across my shoulders. “I’m not trying to ignore you. It’s just that…well…I have a lot on my mind.”

“I’m willing to bet there isn’t a lot on your mind, just one thing…Kevin.”

“Yeah well, he WOULD be the stem of everything on my mind.” Nick sighed as he picked up a pair of jeans, examining them. He was obviously bothered by Kevin’s threat.

“Do you think he will do it, Nick?”

“Naw, I don’t think he will…I know for a FACT he will.”

“You don’t think he was just upset?”

“If that’s the case, he has been upset ever since you came home with me. This isn’t a new issue, Baylee. But, I really don’t think that it needs to be discussed with you. I am going to figure something out, okay. Let me worry about this.”

“Well, it’s 2 days before Christmas and, just like every year, we are scrambling around tying to buy our gifts at the last minute. Can we just forget about him right now and try to enjoy this?” I looked over at him with high hopes that he could set it to the side of his mind until after Christmas.

“You’re right, Baylee. You and I need to strengthen our relationship, more than ever, so we can fight our way through this.”

“YAY! Male bonding,” I smiled before forcing out a, rather loud, burp.

“Baylee! That’s not how you do it. Let the professional show you how it’s done,” he snickered as we walked out of the store. Just as he let a huge burp escape his lips, we walked up behind Howie and AJ.

“Sick, dude. I think you got chunks in my hair!” Howie scrunched his nose.

“Besides, that was weak. I think you are loosing your skill, Carter,” AJ slapped him in the ribs. No one had made any purchases yet, so it was not surprising that AJ and Nick started to horse around right there. Howie smiled as he took a seat on the bench. I shrugged and hopped onto Nick’s back.

“AAAH! There’s a monkey on my back! Eeew, I hope it doesn’t have rabies or something,” Nick acted petrified. He was throwing his arms in the air as AJ attacked his legs. I gave Nick a wet willy, which made him squeal louder.

“Stop, Carter! AGH!” AJ grunted as Nick lost his balance and toppled over, crashing AJ into the ground. Camera flashes began to go off all around us as our play fight progressed into a full out battle. We were all smiling, laughing, and jumping on each other.

“Oh hell, let me in there,” Howie laughed, tearing me off of Nick. Ten minutes later, all four of us were sprawled out in the middle of the floor, trying to catch our breath. AJ slapped Nick in the stomach, Nick slapped me, I slapped Howie and we all burst into another fit of laughter. The camera flashed had died down some but there were still a few spaced out here and there.

“We’re acting like the moms that were in all those ‘Tickle Me Elmo’ brawls. Remember those?” AJ laughed at the thought.

“I nearly got killed in one!” Nick exclaimed with a shudder of his shoulders.

“That was before my time,” I rolled my eyes and sat up. Slowly we all got our butts off the floor. We ignored the cameras and continued goofing off as we walked toward the food court. “Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“You up for a challenge? A dare of sorts?” I asked with a cocky grin.

“Uhoh, you know Nick can’t turn away from a challenge.” Howie groaned as we stopped in the middle of the food court.

“That’s the point.”

“Alright, you’re on, Bay. Whatchya got for me?” Nick shoved his hands in his pockets and tilted his head in my direction.

“Well, I dare you to go on the Marry-Go-Round with me AND act like a moron with me like we used to do. Howie and AJ are welcome to participate, too.”

“First of all, you were like…three. I was the only one acting like an idiot, it was cute for you to do it. Second of all…last one there is the rotten egg!” he yelled the last phrase over his shoulder as he took off toward the ride.

“CHEATER!” I screamed, racing after him. Next thing I knew, we were climbing up onto the horses. I was a bit shocked to see both AJ and Howie joining us. This was great! Three middle aged men and a teenager on the ride with a bunch of little kids, people were already staring.

“Okay, since you guys are riding with us, you have to do the motions, too.” Nick looked over his shoulder as the two oldest of our group.

“You got it!” AJ wiggled his eyebrows a little too excitedly.

“Aaaah, who knew I would be sitting on a kiddy ride, at 40, getting ready to act like a two year old. I’m a sad excuse for a man,” Howie snickered, shaking his head.

“We aren’t much better at 34 and 36,” Nick smiled, referring to himself and AJ.

“He’s right. It’s even sad for Baylee at 15. Alright Howie, you and Leigh better get to popping out a kid, that way we have an excuse for doing this kind of ridiculous shit. ” AJ rolled his eyes with a chuckle, as the ride started to move. All four of us put one hand in the air, holding onto the pole with the other, and started over acting the movements of the ride.

“Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” Howie squealed in a high pitched voice.

“Woohoooo…oooooo!” AJ’s eyes were wide with mock excitement. I was doubled over, laughing, this was too much!

“Giddy-up,” Nick ordered as he smacked the horse’s hind leg. The whole ride went on like this, the four of us carrying on like it was our first time on the ride. When we finally walked off the ride, we received A LOT of stares and stray snickers from the people around the food court. We had provided some good entertainment! AJ grinned widely at each person that stared at us.

“Why do we even do that kind of crazy stuff?” Howie asked as we stood in the line at Taco Bell.

“It keeps us young,” AJ patted Howie’s shoulder. “Helps reduce stress, AND, I do believe, it reduces the signs of wrinkles.”

“I doesn’t do much for a receding hairline, though,” I whispered under my breath.

“I heard that,” AJ cocked an eyebrow at me. He looked away from me and crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m not talking to you.”

“Oh, stop it you two,” Nick shook his head as we all stepped up to order. After receiving our food, we found a large table and sat down to eat. The rest of the day flew by and we didn’t even get any shopping done! Needless to say, this was beyond typical for us and completely par for the course. But I had to admit that the day was a blast.

“Good night, guys. I love you knuckleheads,” I grinned as I hugged each of them.

“Night,” they all chimed. I walked up the stairs and threw myself on the bed, once I reached my room.

“Okay, dad, let’s see what you have to say tonight. By the way, Kevin is repeating history,” I looked up at my ceiling, “he wants to take me from Nick. Since I know you are up there, maybe you could talk to God and pull some strings because I really want to stay with Nick.”

June 12, 2005

Journal –

Leighanne isn’t offering much assistance in appointing a new person to take Baylee. She figures that nothing would ever happen to us and that we shouldn’t even need to bother. I know God’s plans don’t usually match ours, so I figure it is best to be prepared, just in case. So anyways, that leaves me coming to you, a little half written journal, for guidance. I guess I’ll just write it out and I’ll come to a conclusion one way or another.

Kevin is already ruled out. SO are the grandparents and my brother. No one in Leighanne’s family wants to assume the responsibility. Now, do you have any idea who that leaves me with? I bet you have a guess, don’t you, journal? That’s right.

I have Howie, AJ, and Nick to choose from. Slim pickins! Haha, just kidding. They are all great people and I love them each dearly. Howie is kind of the obvious answer, but look where my last obvious answer got me. AJ is...eh…I’m not sure if I even want to consider THAT idea! As much as I love the man, I don’t want Baylee to end up a mini tattooed version of him. Then there’s Nick, he doesn’t even want kids of his own.

This is going to get more complicated before it gets any easier. I will just have to break it down, one at a time…step by step. But, not tonight, it’s well past 1 am and I have to meet the guys at a radio station in 6 hours. You and me, tomorrow night, we’ll start with Howie…it’s a date, journal. Goodnight.

- Brian Thomas Littrell
Chapter Twelve by alota_cookin
It was early morning Christmas Eve. I snuck down the hall to find everyone still asleep. I wasn’t too surprised because it was only 8 o’clock. Sneaking back into the safety of my room, I grabbed the journal and made myself comfortable. Remembering last night’s entry, I knew I would be reading about Howie so I was a bit anxious.

June 13, 2005

Journal –

Well, the Tahoe is in the repair shop. Leighanne totaled the front end of it this afternoon…in a friggin’ Burger King drive thru!!! I wasn’t there but she said that she ‘accidentally’ punched the gas pedal instead of the break. Now, I love my wife but that woman could hit the broad side of a moose in a parking lot, during daylight hours!!! I swear I have to account for car repair in my monthly bills! So, she is going to have to drive the Blazer for a week or so because the guy has to order a couple parts. And people wonder why I am always the one driving…I don’t trust her behind the wheel with me in the car! It’s bad enough I have to let Baylee be exposed to her lack of driving skill.

Alright, now down to business. Howie. Shall we begin with the pros? Hmm. He is the oldest of the three in question and the most responsible…well…most of the time. Howie is level headed and business oriented. Like I said, he is what seems to be the most obvious choice. He would ensure Baylee’s education got finished, instill good morals, and make sure his most pressing needs were met. I can’t see Howie allowing Baylee to make unwise decisions but I can’t see him being too controlling either…I think overall he would be a good balance for Baylee’s guardian.

What would be his cons? Well…he likes to move around which, would mean a lot of school changes and that could could affect Baylee’s education. Then again, Howie is the type to make a sacrifice and settle down in one spot, if it was the best for Baylee. Howie can be a bit too easy to walk over, that could cause issues as Baylee got older and started getting those challenging attitudes…Howie might be the most likely to give in. However, if it were going to endanger Baylee, then Howie would put his foot down.

I guess, it looks like Howie is still the best choice. I will have to continue with the other two guys before making a final decision but, honestly, I can’t see either of them out beating Howie. My hair is graying by the minute! Anyways, AJ will be up next. But, it’s off to bed for me, now.

- Brian Thomas Littrell


I rubbed my eyes as I set the book down. I couldn’t even begin to understand how Nick won this. Not that I am complaining…well, not anymore, at least. Nick has been so much better since we talked the other night. He has loosened up and let his true self shine through, again. I took a quick shower and headed down to the kitchen.

The house was still silent as I began to mix up some pancake batter. The clock read almost 10 before I heard the first sounds of stirring from the upstairs. I flipped over the last of the pancakes as Howie and AJ trudged into the room.

“Whatchya got cookin?” AJ snuck a peak over my shoulder. “Where’s the sausage?”

“In the oven with the other pancakes, staying warm,” I smiled as the two men collapsed into their seats at the table. “Are you hungry?”

“Starving,” Nick answered as he slowly inched into the room. “Thanks for cooking, Bay.”

“No sweat. Sit.” I started dishing out the pancakes and sausage. Setting the butter and syrup on the table, I smiled as the three of them fought over who got what first. I took the orange juice and milk from the refrigerator and grabbed a glass for each of us.

“Mm. This is pretty tasty, Baylee.” Howie didn’t usually talk with food in his mouth, but he usually didn’t sleep in this late either.

“I have to agree,” AJ nodded before shoveling another forkful into his mouth. Everyone’s head popped up and the sound of the gate’s intercom buzzing. Nick got up and headed over to the little box. Pressing the button he spoke into it.

“Hello?” he questioned.

“Yes, hello, I am Officer A. Carter. I am here to speak with a Mr. Nickolas Gene Carter?” we all snickered at how ‘official’ Aaron sounded.

“O for the love of pete, come in Aaron,” Nick rolled his eyes as he walked back into the kitchen. Aaron came through the front door only a few moments later.

“Hey guys,” he gave us all a weak smile.

“Are you on duty Aaron?” I asked, looking at his uniform. Yes, Aaron Carter is in the LAPD. Weird, huh? That’s why we got him to help with the prank…he came over, in his squad car, after his shift was over that day.

“Unfortunately, yes. Even worse, I am here on business.”

“Business?” Nick looked up at his brother.

“I am here to serve you papers, Nick,” Aaron sighed as he held out a manila envelope. “The department is responsible for handing out certain court orders. I told them that I would deliver this. I didn’t think it would be good publicity for you.”

“What?” Nick snatched the envelope and tore it open. “God damn, cock sucking, son of a bitch! Fuck, what an ASS!”

“I’m sorry, bro,” Aaron frowned. “I thought it was best for you to get it from me rather than one of the others.”

“I appreciate that, Aaron. The press will find out soon enough, without any help.”

“I know. I can’t believe that he is seriously going to fight for custody,” Aaron leaned against the counter. Honestly, I still get weirded out when I see him in uniform. He had only been on the force for a couple years and we hardly ever, actually, see him in his uniform.

“You know, I’m not surprised…I was just holding high hopes that he wouldn’t,” Nick’s eyes continued to scan the papers. “FUCKING JACK ASS!!!!” Nick’s voice almost curdled my blood. AJ and Howie jumped up and were reading over his shoulder.

“He can’t do that! How can he do that? CAN he do that?” AJ’s eyebrows were furrowed as anger flushed his cheeks. I sat in the same spot with confusion clouding my mind.

“That’s fucked up,” Howie gasped. “I…I…uh.”

“Baylee don’t…” Nick pleaded as I grabbed the papers from his hands. I walked out of the kitchen as my eyes read the words. Hurrying up the stairs my eyes landed on what the commotion had been about and it caused me to freeze.

“How can he…” My voice broke off and tears rushed to my eyes as I reread the words. He was fighting for full custody of me without visitation rights for Nick. That meant he was trying to, not only take me from Nick, but prevent me from even SEEING Nick!

“Merry fucking Christmas,” I heard AJ’s voice followed by the sound of, probably, his fist punching the wall. “If Kevin won’t let him see Nick, you know he won’t let us anywhere near him either! What is Kevin’s problem? Why is he doing this?”

“I’m sorry guys,” Aaron’s voice was soft and sympathetic. “I know it’s hard. If he gets away with it, then I won’t see him either. We will all fight this together. But, for now, I have to get back to my duty.”

“Thanks again, Aaron,” Nick’s voice cracked.

“See you later,” Aaron’s voice bid goodbye as he closed the door. I was still stuck in the same spot. My mind felt like it was going for the millionth turn on the tilt-a-wheel at some passing carnival.

“Bay?” Howie’s voice cut into my thoughts. His arms slinked around my shoulders, pulling me into a hug. “We’ll figure something out.”

“Can you give us a minute?” Nick reached the top of the stairs and came up behind me.

“Sure,” Howie nodded and let go of me, before heading back downstairs.

“Look, Baylee,” Nick’s voice was highly unstable, but, I wasn’t even willing to try using mine. “I can’t tell you that everything will be okay because I, honestly, don’t know if it will be. What I do know is that I am going to do what ever I have to, to prevent any of this from happening. I know we aren’t as close as we used to be and I know we don’t always get along, but I also know that I love you and am not willing to let go of you.”

“Why would he do this?”

“He hated your mother and didn’t think that your dad was raising you right. Kevin was against pretty much everything your father did…including the choice of me being your guardian. For whatever reason, Kevin even called Child Protective Services on your dad accusing him of child abuse. The case was dismissed immediately but Kevin wasn’t happy about it. I don’t know what got him started, but no one has been able to change his mind.”

“He hated my dad? Kevin doesn’t even LIKE me, so why would he want custody of me?”

“Yeah, in the end there, Kevin began hating all of us,” Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know what the stem of the whole issue is.”

“That’s messed up.”

“Yeah. We aren’t sure what we did wrong.” Nick turned to the stairway and cupped his hands around his mouth, “Howie! AJ! Come here!” Both of the older men rushed up the stairs.

“Yeah, Nickerboker?” AJ arched an eyebrow.

“Pack. We are going somewhere for Christmas,” Nick forced a smile.

“Where?” Howie tilted his head.

“I don’t know. Wherever. I’ll call the airlines and see what they have available. We are just going to take a few days of vacation to get away from this mess.”

“Sweet,” AJ smirked as he headed down the stairs. He bolted out the door, obviously, heading home to pack.

“Sounds cool,” Howie nodded his agreement.

“What about you, Baylee? Are you up for some time away?” Nick turned to face me.

“Sure,” I shrugged, “we could use some space.” We all headed to our rooms in order to get ready for the trip to an unknown destination. How was I supposed to pack if I didn’t know where we were going? My eyes drifted over to my dad’s journal. It had become a source of comfort for me…it was definitely going on the trip.

Nick came to my room 15 minutes later. He told me that he made plans for us to go up to Maine for our Christmas vacation. There was a cabin up in the mountains that he was able to book. We were going to have a white Christmas! No doubt, there was a lot of sledding, snow angels, snowmen, skiing and snowball fights in our near future. My excitement grew as I pictured us all bundled up and playing in the snow.

We were all packed within an hour. An hour after that, we were arriving at the airport. It was another hour and a half before we were boarding our plane. It was a relatively short plane ride and we touched down around 7pm. As we exited the airport we stepped out into a winter wonderland of falling snow! Our Christmas vacation was underway!
Chapter Thirteen by alota_cookin
Our cheeks burned with the chill of Maine’s late December air. I tucked my fingers deep into my pockets. All of us piled into the rental and headed towards the cabin that Nick had reserved. It took us a good hour to drive up to the cabin. The scenery was amazing as we drove through the mountainous terrain. Our cabin was higher in altitude and the roads were treacherous as the snow whipped around the car.

“This wind fuckin’ sucks, man,” Nick’s grip on the steering wheel whitened his knuckles. “It’s getting really hard to keep the stinking car on the road.”

“Just take it slow, Nike.” AJ patted his shoulder from behind. Howie’s grip on the passenger side handle matched that of Nick’s.

“I’m not a shoe, Aje.”

“But you smell like one,” he snickered, trying to help relax the mood.

“Slow and steady...slooooow and steadyyyy,” Howie nodded quietly.

“OH SHIT!!!” Nick screamed as the brakes squealed. The car spun on the ice, as he tried to avoid the gigantic…THING…in the middle of the road.

“What the hell is that thing?!?” AJ squinted to see. It was pitch black and whatever was in the road was dark as well, making it hard to decipher what it was.

“I…I’m pretty sure that’s a moose,” Nick answered with his hands still glued to the steering wheel.

“SWEET!” AJ flung open the car door. “I want pictures!!!”

“Thank God we didn’t hit it! The car would have been totaled,” Howie slipped out of the car. We all stood, in the cold, watching the enormous animal walk off the road and back into the woods.

“I’ve never seen a live moose before,” I shivered as the animal disappeared from our sight. “That moose was huge! Are they ALL that big?”

“Actually, I’ve seen bigger ones,” Nick informed me as we all climbed back into the car. “Hey look, there’s another one up the road. See it?”

“This is so cool!” AJ and I blurted loudly.

“Maine was a good choice, Nick,” Howie smiled as the car began moving again. “It’s definitely beautiful out here.”

“Cold, though. Cold but beautiful,” AJ nodded as a shiver shook his body. We finally pulled up to see our log cabin.

“The cabin is awesome, Nick!” my eyes lit up as it came into full view. It was one of those REALLY nice log cabins and it was pretty decently sized, too. Pine trees completely surrounded the cabin. There was also a frozen brook along one side.

“It’s nice and rustic. Gorgeous scenery, too…very Christmas-y. Leigh is going to be jealous of me!”

“Well, I am glad you guys like it because you would have to stay even if you didn’t,” Nick popped open the trunk and we all started grabbing bags. “The guy said he would have it unlocked for us and the key would be on the table in the entry.” Sure enough, he was right.

“Yo, AJ!” Howie’s voice called from the porch step.

“Yeah?” AJ looked up from where he was rummaging in the trunk. He stumbled back a little as he got pelted in the chest with a snowball. “DAMN IT D!” Bending over, he made a snowball of his own, but when he threw it, Howie ducked. The snowball sailed in through the open door and hit Nick in the back of the head.

“Who threw that?!?” he came storming out onto the porch and immediately spotted AJ’s look of disbelief. “YOU!”

“No, well yeah, but not on purp…” SPLAT! AJ got it right in the face! I busted out laughing as I watched the older men start furiously pelting each other with snowballs. I was so busy laughing at them that I didn’t even see the one headed right toward me until I ended up with an earful of snow! Let me tell you what…that is even worse than a wet willy!

“OH now THAT was uncalled for!” I looked up to see the three men baring wide grins. They all brought up their arms at the same time and flung large snowballs at me. I ducked and covered my head but it did me no good. I was covered in snow!

“Well, time for some hot cocoa,” AJ dusted off his arm and quickly made his way into the cabin.

“I second that!” Nick smiled as he and Howie followed AJ before I even had the chance to retaliate. Typical. They can dish it but they can’t take it! How rude. Making my way into the cabin, I slipped off my coat and boots. Spotting a phone on the wall, I walked over and dialed Mason’s cell number.

“Hyello,” his voice sounded chipper.

“Hey, Mase,” I answered. “How are you.”

“O my god,” his voice became hushed. I could hear him moving around. “My dad is going postal over here because he can’t get a hold of you guys! He’s talking about calling the cops!”

“Are you serious? Hasn’t he done enough damage?” I scoffed with a roll of my eyes.

“Where are you?”

“Maine.”

“WHAT? You guys skipped state?”

“We just came out for a few days as a Christmas vacation. We are going back Thursday. Is there something wrong with that?”

“Technically, no, but you know my dad is going to make it out like Nick is trying to run off with you. That’s not going to look good for you guys in court.”

“Do you know why your dad is trying to take me from Nick?”

“I, uh…well…no.” he stumbled over his words, still keeping it barely above a whisper. I rolled my eyes and sighed. It wasn’t that hard to tell when Mason was lying…he wasn’t very good at it.

“Come on Mase, don’t lie to me. I can tell that you know something.” I pushed for an answer.

“Mason, who are you talking to?” I faintly heard Kevin’s voice.

“Baylee. I found out why he isn’t home,” Mason began to explain.

“MASON!” I began to panic. Why would Mason rat me out? This was going to be bad.

“Hold on, Baylee, okay?” he asked politely before going back to talking with his dad. “He is spending the night at a friend’s house.”

“On Christmas? Then where is Nick?” Kevin’s voice sounded like he was irritated.

“Yes, on Christmas. And, Nick is probably at home but just not answering the phone, dad. Come on, like he really wants to talk to you. You’re lucky that any of us are talking to you.”

“Don’t you talk to me like that!” Kevin’s voice roared. I could picture his face, in my head, turning shades of red and purple.

“Seriously,” Mason sighed, “you are being ridiculous and it seems like everyone knows it but you. Why can’t you just stop? You and mom have done nothing but fight since you started all of this.”

“Maybe I should call you back,” I sputtered but Mason didn’t hear me. Mind you, I wasn’t opposed to hearing what Mason thought of the whole thing. I was a bit surprised though because I have never heard Mason talk back to his dad! My ears were hearing words come for Mason’s mouth but my mind was in denial that it was actually Mason saying them.

“The arguments between your mother and I are none of your business. Now I suggest that you get to writing that report I told you to do.”

“You are the only father on the planet that makes up school work for their kids to do on CHRISTMAS EVE!!!! And you wonder why no one can stand you,” Mason huffed. “Anyways, Bay, you were talking about Nick’s reaction to this crap my dad is pulling.”

“I was?” It took me a minute to catch on. “Oh yeah, Nick is livid over the whole thing. Frankly, so am I.”

“Don’t you turn your back to me young man!” Kevin’s voice boomed once again.

“I think everyone is,” Mason ignored his father and continued his conversation with me. I was getting the impression that Mason was just as peeved at his dad as we were.

“Your mom and dad have been fighting?”

“Yes, my mom and KEVIN have been fighting.” Mason emphasized the fact that he was calling his father by his first name.

“MASON!” Hearing the angered voice confirmed that Mason did it on purpose. It seems as if Kevin is managing to push everyone away from him. I wonder why? Does he really want all of us to hate him?

“You know what, Baylee. I am going to let you go so that I can go ahead and finish this battle with my biological…uh…you know what he is.”

“Alright. Call me later.”

“Oh, trust me, I will. Bye, Bay.”

“Bye Mason.” I hung up the receiver and turned to find three pair of eyes on me. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I stood to walk into the living room. I took a look around at the interior decoration of the cabin. It was very rustic. There were moose and deer decorations everywhere and the chandelier even had outlines of the animals.

“Kevin having problems with Mason now?” AJ finally piped up from behind me, asking the question that all three of them were dying to find the answer to.

“Yeah and, evidently, with Kris, too.” I shrugged my shoulders as I continued to slowly walk around the room. I stopped at the mantel over the fireplace. Picking up one of the small figurines, I turned to glance at them.

“Oooo, do I detect the possibility of the ‘D’ word?” Howie gasped. His eyes were wide as he looked at me for an answer to his question.

“How do you expect me to know? Mason said he would call later, though.”

“Who’s hungry? They have the refrigerator and stuff all stocked up for us!” Nick swiftly changed the subject as he looked around the room at each of us.

“Way to shift the mood, Carter,” AJ snickered as everyone bombarded the kitchen. Howie started putting together a salad, Nick prepared us some chicken, AJ was fixing up some potatoes and corn, while I set to work on a dessert.

“Hey, this is pretty good, Aje,” Nick spoke with a mouth full of potatoes.

“Mmm, the chicken ain’t too bad either,” Howie smiled as he reached across for the salt. The rest of our dinner passed with hardly any talking. Everyone just enjoyed the food and each other’s presence. After dinner, I headed up to the loft, where I would be sleeping. I sighed as I heavily plopped onto the small, twin sized bed.

“Now where did I pack that journal?” I asked myself as I dug into one of my duffel bags. Easily locating it, I pulled it out and opened it up to the book marked page.

June 16, 2005

Journal –

It’s been a few days since I have had the chance to sit and write but my brain has not stopped. The Tahoe is still in the shop and Leighanne is upset that she has to drive the Blazer. She was complaining about something to do with the brakes or something…I don’t know, honestly, I was kind of tuning her out. Stress levels have been increasing lately and I am about to loose my mind.

Nick dropped by again today, to visit. He took Baylee out for a movie and Happy Meals so that I could get some work done. Thank goodness, too, because Leighanne gave Baylee Coco Puffs this morning with chocolate milk and he is on a sugar buzz from the depths of you know where! She knows that Coco Puffs and chocolate milk, together, make him hyper but I guess she didn’t care because she was leaving him with me. No matter, Nick was more than willing to help Baylee wear it off. Sure enough, he brought Baylee back to me…ASLEEP!!!!!! I was elated!

Okay, but we need to talk about dear AJ. Just like we did with Howie, we will start with the pros. Okay so he………..well…….okay, I’m stumped. AJ is, pretty much, everything that you wouldn’t, typically, want in a guardian. He is wild and rebellious, he is covered in tattoos, he constantly dyes his hair, he is not exactly the most responsible person, and he has battled with alcohol, drugs and depression. Sigh. The thing with AJ is that I really have no idea. He has struggles within that he needs to lie to rest.

If he received Baylee, I know he would make changes. I know he would care for Baylee, protect him, and love him. But, AJ needs structure and he just doesn’t have anyone to give him that, right now. AJ is a wonderful man and he is the biggest softy of the group but I just can’t put Baylee in his hands.

My heart goes out to AJ. At the risk of sounding dumb…all he really needs is love. Someone to make him WANT to make changes in himself, someone who encourages him to be a better man, someone who cares for him, that he can lean on for support, someone who can help him see the strength he has inside of himself. Granted he has us guys, but he needs more. I love AJ and it’s not that I think he would fail at being Baylee’s guardian. I just don’t think he needs the added pressure. Someday, when the timing is right and he is ready, he will make a GREAT father but I think putting Baylee into his hands may do more damage than good. Not to Baylee, but to AJ.

Does any of that make sense? It does in my mind. See, I have to think of what’s best for Baylee, but I also have to consider what is best for the person being given the guardian title. I think it would be too much for AJ to handle, right now. I hope that doesn’t sound mean, like I don’t trust AJ because I do! I really do! But I just…I don’t think he is emotionally ready for the pressures of being a guardian. He needs more time to heal.

I guess, I have officially ruled out AJ, at least, for now. I’m sure he will help to raise Baylee because he really does adore my son. I think it will work better that way…AJ can still be a major part of Baylee’s life and they can learn from each other and be close without overwhelming AJ. So, there it is…I am still leaning towards Howie.

I would discuss Nick, but I am quickly developing a headache. So, I will have to talk about blondie next time. Off to bed I go. Good night!

- Brian Thomas Littrell


I looked over at AJ, who had come up to the loft when I was, about, halfway through reading the entry. Tilting my head to the side, I stared at his sleeping body, in the bed on the other side of the loft. I love AJ with all my heart but I can’t say I fully disagree with my dad. Of course, I am sure AJ was I bit different then. I appreciate the relationship I have with AJ and don’t think it would have been the same if he were my guardian.

I sighed softly as I looked at the clock. It was a little past midnight, now. I yawned widely but decided to read on. Flipping to the next page, I cuddled deeper into my blankets and continued to read in the soft light from the lamp.
Chapter Fourteen by alota_cookin
June 17, 2005

Journal –

Leighanne brought home a new dog today. It’s a feisty little thing. Baylee is scared of it, for some reason. We should get the Tahoe back the day after tomorrow. Thanks goodness! Leighanne is driving me crazy with her constant complaint of the Blazer. I am not going to even pretend like I understand why she hates it so much. THEN she fed Baylee Coco Puffs again before leaving this morning! I fixed that though.

I called Nick. He was happy to come over and spend the day with us. Did I mention he is between girlfriends right now? Anyways, he and AJ actually came and spent the day. We played around in the pool for the most part and Nick looks like a lobster now. He never remembers to put on sunscreen, which is hilarious because he made sure that Baylee had some on. Define ‘blonde’, again?

AJ had to leave a bit early because what’s her name called whining that he wasn’t with her. I am guessing it’s more because he wasn’t spending money on her. I really hope he dumps her soon. No one likes her and she even admits that she can’t stand him. What sense does that make? I feel so bad for him because he fails to see her ulterior motive. I just wish he could find real love. It would do him a world of good to have a decent woman on his arm.

Nothing else really happened today. Overall it was an enjoyable day. Nick and I are working with Baylee on his basketball skills…it is better to start early! We ordered pizza for lunch and had popcorn after Baylee’s nap. Shhh, don’t tell Leighanne. I sent the empty pizza boxes with Nick; he usually disposes of them so she doesn’t know I broke her diet rules.

Alright, now that I have said all of that…Goodnight.

KIDDING! I crack myself up. Seriously, I need to evaluate Nick. Nick doesn’t even want kids. Doesn’t that throw a bit of a damper on making him the guardian? Wouldn’t he just pass Baylee along to the next in line? You know, I don’t think he would. Nick loves Baylee! And, Baylee loves Nick.

Part of me thinks Nick would make a good guardian, but then the other part of me laughs and says “yeah right!” Nick is a child at heart which could work for him or against him. I don’t know that Nick really has the authority in him. He tries to take responsibility, but it usually doesn’t work out for the poor guy. The other Carter kids don’t really respect him. How do I know that Baylee will?

Nick can be a bit of a push over. He wants so badly to be accepted that he will do almost anything. I can’t ensure that Baylee wouldn’t take advantage of that, as he got older. Kids test their limits and push the buttons on their authority. I’m not so sure that Nick will be able to stand strong. Nick would want to be friends with Baylee and that might make it hard for him to enforce rules because he won’t want Baylee to think he wasn’t ‘cool’.

Most of Nick’s attributes can’t be classified as a pro or a con because it could go either way depending, both, on him and on Baylee. I like to think that Baylee will grow up to be a decent, well mannered, respectful, responsible young man; but who knows? If something were to happen to me and Leighanne, he may go into a rebellion stage or denial. He may try to push his limits further because his guardian isn’t his real dad. Who knows how old Baylee would be or how he would react? That’s what worries me. I have no way of telling what would happen and that makes it harder to decide who would best fit as his guardian. If he rebels…Howie would be better to control him, if he is strong and independent…maybe AJ would be the better choice, if he deals well and is a normal child…Nick would do just fine. See my dilemma?

I have done a lot of praying lately, that God would give me a sign. That he would point out the one that would be best suited. Maybe I haven’t gotten an answer because it won’t be an issue or maybe I am overlooking the obvious? Well, for now I am thinking Howie but I am going to hold out a few more days, just in case I missed something.

Please, dear Lord, help me with this! I need some serious guidance here. I will say another prayer before I climb into bed tonight. Hopefully He will hear my voice and answer my prayer. Good night, Journal.

- Brian Thomas Littrell



Closing the journal, I realized what I should be doing. I should be following in my father’s footsteps and taking the advice that was obviously written between the lines. I set the journal aside, noticing that it was, now, almost 1 o’clock in the morning. I slowly rose off my bed and got down on my knees beside it. Resting my elbows on the comforter, I folded my hands and began to pray.

“Dear Lord, it’s me, Baylee. I know we haven’t exactly spoken in a while. I’m really sorry that I haven’t followed in my dad’s footsteps. He was so strong in his faith but I question mine.” I kept my voice low. I didn’t want to wake AJ. Keeping my eyes shut tight, I continued my prayer…

“Right now, I need your help, Lord. My Uncle Kevin is trying to take me away from Nick. I’m not sure why, but I think you told my dad to leave me with Nick. You knew that my parents would leave me and you know when. The reason behind Nick being my guardian is still unknown to me, but I have been reading my dad’s journal to try to find out. You must want me here, Lord, and I am willing to accept that now.

“I have been so confused lately and I have mistreated a lot of people that are close to me. I pray that you will help me not to do it again. I feel so bad for hurting them but I don’t even know why I did it. I realize that I was wrong and I am not mad about being with Nick anymore. Is that why you sent us all this drama? To make me see how lucky I am to have Nick? I know it now, Lord, and I’m sorry it took me so long to figure it out. Please don’t let Kevin take me away. I might not understand why you want me with Nick, but I am accepting of it and happy with it. Please help us to stay together. Amen.”

I stood to me feet and climbed in to bed. Pulling the covers up to my chin, I snuggled in and tried to sleep. I lay awake for a long time, unable to sleep. It wasn’t the excitement of it being Christmas that kept me awake, but the worry and anticipation of how things would turn out. The last time I looked at the clock, it was pushing 2:30. Finally drifting off, I found myself in a fitful slumber. Dreams plagued my mind. I woke up several times because of the dreams of Kevin winning custody. He was mean and abusive in my dreams…it reminded me of a reversed version of Cinderella…except Mason wouldn’t be cruel.

Then, I dreamed of my father. He was walking with me in the park, telling me about how much he loved me. I told him I missed him and he said he did, too. He warned me to stay away from Kevin and then he vanished. Sweat poured down my face as I shot straight up in bed. What was going on? Why was I having these dreams? Was it a sign that I really SHOULD stay away from Kevin? And, why?

The sun shine seeped into the room, through the curtains. I heard AJ shifting, across the room. It wasn’t long before I heard him trudge down the stairs. Nick’s voice greeted him and then they all started whispering. Getting up, I walked to the edge of the loft and listened.

“We have to do something, Nick. The poor kid was up all night with nightmares. O didn’t want to embarrass him, so I just pretended to still be sleeping, but he was talking in his sleep, man and it wasn’t good. He’s scared of going with Kevin,” I could see the top of AJ’s head as he paced back and forth.

“We are all scared of him being with Kevin. Something needs to be done,” Howie stood in the middle of the room with his arms crossed, still in his pajamas.

“Kevin just needs to get caught, is all there is to it. If he got caught, he wouldn’t have a case,” Nick slouched further into the recliner as he watched AJ pace. Looking at the clock, I saw it was not even 7, yet. Obviously, they figured I was sleeping.

“If he gets caught, we will have another Backstreet son needing an alternate guardian. Surely, Mason would be ripped right out of there. Kevin’s the one doing it but Kris knows about it so they would both loose parenting rights,” Howie reasoned. He was in one of his peacemaker / problem solver moods.

“So I’d have another adopted son. I can handle it, how bad could it be?” Nick shrugged.

“Stop, Nick, you creep me out when you go into that whole ‘I’m a father’ mode,” AJ stopped to glare at Nick.

“Whatever the case is, Kevin’s drug problem is getting out of control. I don’t know how he managed to keep it under wraps for so long, but he can’t hide it anymore. All traces of Kevin are gone…I don’t even know who this guy is,” Howie waved his hands in the air. My mind stopped…did he say…’drug problem’?

“I can’t stand the fucker,” AJ scowled.

“AJ, come on, let’s not toss those words around like that,” Howie softly laid a hand on AJ’s shoulder.

“Seriously, I hate his guts and I am sick of pretending that I don’t. I know I had a drug problem and it was my fault for letting it get the best of me but Kevin is the one who first offered the shit to me. I don’t know that I would have done it, if HE didn’t offer it. The concept of doing drugs hadn’t really crossed my mind, I was happy with my drinking. But, when Kevin offered me some pills…well it was Kevin for god sake…I didn’t question it. He was right though, it made me feel pretty damn good…next thing I know…I’m putting myself in rehab,” AJ shook his head and balled up his fists. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing!

“Wait a tick,” Nick stood to his feet, “this has been going on THAT long?!? You’re fucking kidding me. Here, all that time, I just thought he was treating me like crap because I was so annoying to him.”

“He treated everyone like crap, we all just thought he was trying to protect us. I know I have said it before, but I’m going to say it again. I am really damn proud of you AJ. You made some mistakes but you manned up to them and you got yourself the help you needed. For that, I hold you high with respect. Kevin, on the other hand…” Howie sighed as he fell backwards onto the couch.

“Howie’s right. I’m really proud of you, too. We love you, Aje. But you have to tell me, how long has he been into this shit?” Nick looked at AJ expecting an answer.

“I have no idea. First time I found out was back in…’99, I think. He didn’t do it much back then and he was really good at hiding it. But, the drugs have really changed him. I’m just really glad Brian was compelled to give you guardianship, Nick, because I don’t think he even had a clue about Kevin’s drug usage,” AJ suddenly found himself in the arms of the other two men. I think this was the first time AJ confessed that Kevin introduced him to the drugs he was once addicted to. I quietly made my way down the stairs. I made it to them before they released from the hug, so I joined in, wrapping my arms around them as much as I could and causing them to all jump.

“Baylee!” Nick’s face turned pale as he frantically looked from AJ to Howie.

“Baylee…” AJ moved towards me. I just pulled him into a hug.

“No wonder I was having dreams of my dad telling me to do whatever I had to, to stay away from Kevin,” I gave them a weak smile. “I kind of like the idea of me, Mason and Nick as one big happily dysfunctional family.” I grinned at Nick, making him roll his eyes.

“So you heard how much, exactly?” Howie turned the focus back to the conversation they were having.

“Not long, just since AJ crawled out of bed,” I smirked. “So anyways…Merry Christmas, guys! I am so happy that we are spending the holiday together.

“Me, too,” all three of them responded. Looking around at each other they all broke into laughter. Oh yeah, we had broken the tension. Let the Christmas fun and games begin! Well…after breakfast.
Chapter Fifteen by alota_cookin
“Jay Jay?” I spoke softly as I entered the room. He was sitting on the couch staring into space. It was almost noon and Howie was helping Nick make lunch. I really wanted to sit down and talk to him about my dad’s journal. I really wasn’t ready to talk with Nick about it but everything it was saying was starting to get overwhelming for me.

“Yeah, Bay Bay?” he turned to look up at me. Moving closer, I took a seat next to him on the couch. “What’s up?” I saw a tint of sadness in his eyes.

“Are you okay?” I narrowed my eyes as I looked at him closer.

“Yeah,” he slightly nodded and let out a long sigh. “I just miss Ri.” Riley is AJ’s girlfriend that I mentioned before, the one who puts a goofy grin on his face. He really does act like a love sick puppy. Riley and AJ have been together for almost 3 years now! I think she is that ‘someone’ my dad mentioned in his journal…the one who would, basically, save AJ from himself. She did, too.

“You love her, don’t you?” his head snapped up to look at me. I knew he did, but that was something that he and Riley didn’t say to each other. AJ sighed and looked me in the eyes. My mind was now on him, rather then the journal. There would be other times to talk about that.

“Yes, Bay, I do. Don’t tell her I said that, though. You know how she is about that,” he gave me a lopsided, but somehow sad, grin. Riley was the first girlfriend AJ ever had that made it this long and didn’t even live with him. She had a job, her own car, an apartment, and so on. It was very obvious why she was with him and it wasn’t because he had money.

“Why don’t you guys say it?”

“She told me from the get go that she didn’t want to hear me say those words because I use them too loosely,” he shrugged. “Ri knows my track record and, let’s just say, she’s not impressed.”

“But you’ve changed and it’s been for the better.”

“It’ll happen, Bay, whenever she’s ready. I’m not going to go anywhere,” he smiled slightly as he stood to his feet. I followed him into the kitchen.

“Why does he look like someone just ran over his dog?” Nick questioned as AJ flopped into one of the chairs.

“I’ll give you two words: Ri…ley,” I smiled as I sat down at the table. Howie brought the sandwiches and pickles to the table. Nick followed with the chips and condiments.

“Why don’t you call her, Jay?” Howie began dressing his sandwich.

“She’s working.”

“Doesn’t she have her cell? Or, you could call her at work.” Nick took a large bite of his sandwich and eyed his friend.

“She won’t answer her cell, if she’s working, and she would kill me if I called her at work. I’ll call her later,” AJ sighed as he played with the chips on his plate.

“So, how are we going to spend our Christmas afternoon?” I asked in effort to change the subject and distract AJ.

“Sledding?” Nick grinned widely. “I saw a couple big sleds by the back door and there is a HUGE hill out there!”

“Oooo, I haven’t gone sledding in YEARS!” Howie’s eyes lit up like a small child’s. He quickly shoved the last bite in his mouth before taking his plate to the sink. “What are you waiting for, guys? Come on!” We watched Howie disappear from the kitchen.

“I guess, it’ll be fun,” AJ solemnly shrugged his shoulders as he put his untouched food in the refrigerator, for later. I looked over at Nick after watching AJ sulk out of the room.

“Do you think Riley is for real? I mean, he gets attached to girlfriends but this is pretty bad. I would hate to see him get hurt again,” I stared at Nick, waiting for a response.

“That’s a tough question to answer, Baylee. I know he loves her and I am pretty sure she loves him. They are both too scared to jump in to it. Personally, I think they will last, but who really knows, for sure?”

“I hope it does. She is that ‘someone’,” I took my plate to the sink.

“Huh?”

“Never mind.” Heading out of the room, I grabbed my outdoor things and began to pull them on. It wasn’t long before we were all decked out in snow pants, scarves, jackets, gloves, boots, and everything! Howie was waddling like an obese duck and Nick was hopping while making a grunting noise each time he hit the ground. AJ walked normally. I, on the other hand, ran as fast as I could. Out of the house and up the hill, we all prepared for our first run. Everyone was smiling and, now, in good spirits. AJ was the first to get in position and he whizzed down the hill, head first, on the sled.

“Check this out!” Nick hollered as he hopped on his sled, riding it like a surf board, all the way down to the bottom where he wiped out, face first!

“Break anything, Nicker?” Howie roared before he pushed off and began his descent. Half way down the hill, Howie hit a hump in the snow and went flying off his sled. He landed funny and ended up rolling the rest of the way.

“Break anything Howard?” I heard AJ snicker as he passed Howie, on the way back up the hill. It was my turn and I took a running start before diving onto the sled. Gaining break neck speed, I slid smoothly down the hill, until…SMACK! I ran right into Nick’s legs, sending him toppling over me. He was holding onto my foot as I dragged him along behind me.

“You should watch for oncoming traffic. Look both ways, Nick. Look both ways,” I teased as I hit him lightly on the shoulder.

“Well maybe, if you weren’t going 20 miles over the speed limit, this wouldn’t have happened! I want to see your insurance papers!” Nick jumped out of the way as AJ flipped over on his sled.

“Ow, that hurt, man,” AJ walked by rubbing his head. Nick and I looked at each other before running past AJ, who looked at us before chasing after us. We made it to the top of the hill just as Howie hit a tree, at the bottom.

“Damn tree jumped right out in front of me,” Howie screamed up at us, “did you see that shit? Stupid trees think they own the place, all jumping out in front of people and everything!” He shook his head as he began the climb back up.

“I saw it, Howie! You should sue that tree! It was OBVIOUSLY the one at fault,” I smiled as he reached the top. Nick and AJ were both on their way down the hill, backwards.

“I KNOW!” his eyes widened as he began laughing. We waited for AJ and Nick to come to a stop. I rolled my eyes as they collided, ending up in a tangled mess, at the bottom.

“Ready or not…here I’m coming!” I yelled as I used both mine and Howie’s sleds to ‘ski’ down the hill. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be and I ended up face first in the snow.

After climbing up to rejoin the others, we got in position to head down again. We all stood on our sleds, held hands, and ‘surfed’ down the hill side by side. Halfway down, we lost Nick, who tumbled head over heals, to the bottom. We were almost to the bottom when Howie fell, pulling AJ down with him, causing me to land on top of them both.

“Damn it!” Nick limped our way, “I think I sprained my ankle.”

“Uh, I jammed my finger!” Howie whined as he stood up.

“I can’t say THAT was our brightest idea, ever,” AJ commented as he picked up his sled. “Wanna do it again?” A grin spread across his face.

“YEAH!” I grabbed my sled and trudged behind him as we started back to the top of the hill.

“O hell, here I come,” Howie rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, I’m in,” Nick smirked. He was the last one up the hill because of his ankle hurting. Once he made it to the top, we all lined up and jumped on our sleds. Away we went! We all held on, to each other’s hands, tighter this time but it didn’t help much because we ended up in a worse tangle than before! Covered in snow and laughing our butts off, we sprawled out in the snow at the bottom of the hill.

“Time for a break and some cocoa?” AJ sat up and looked down at the rest of us.

“I think we’re all game for that,” Howie stood up and reached his hand to Nick. AJ grabbed my hand and pulled me up; then we all headed into the cabin. As soon as we shed our outdoor clothes, I began making hot cocoa for everyone. Nick was sent to set up his old Playstation that he brought along, while AJ tried to call Riley, and Howie got together some snacks.

We spent the next two hours playing old video games and wrestling with each other. We broke out into a pillow fight and ended up breaking a lamp! Nick called the owner to tell him and had it added onto our bill. All of us calmed down a little, after that. I went up to the loft while the three guys made dinner and, yes, I opened up my dad’s journal.

July 3, 2005

Journal –

Today was an, overall, crazy day! The whole group got together at Nick’s for a day out on the boat. We had food packed for lunch, fishing poles, and games to play. Leighanne, Baylee and I arrived first. AJ showed up without his woman and Howie brought Leigh. Kevin and Kristin actually came, too. Nick told me that he felt like he had to invite Kevin, even though he has been abnormally weird to everyone.

The craziest part of the day was when Nick told Kevin off! Yes…Nick ACTUALLY stood up to Kevin! We were all getting ready to get on the boat when Nick began passing out life jackets. He already helped Baylee get his on and had his own on as well. When handed the jackets, Leigh, Howie and I put them on with out a second thought. Leighanne looked at him funny but put it on. AJ said something like, “I’m a grown man, I don’t need to wear this if I don’t want to.”

I was shocked to hear the response from Nick’s mouth! “Well, Baylee looks up to all of us and we need to set a good example. He thinks we are cool so we need to show him that wearing a life jacket is cool.” Everyone just looked at him. I don’t think anyone knew what to say!

“Sounds logical,” AJ shrugged and put the life jacket on. Kristen nodded her agreement before slipping hers on, as well. This left Kevin, the only one without one on. Nick held out the life jacket for Kevin but Kevin swatted it away, refusing to wear it.

“Just put it on, Kevin,” Nick insisted but Kevin just threw the life jacket on the ground.

“I’m not wearing it and I don’t have to. I’m an adult and can make my own decisions, Nick,” Kevin scowled.

“Yeah, you’re right. You are a grown man and you don’t have to wear a life jacket,” Nick shrugged, picking up the jacket. Kevin smiled, of course, because he thought he won the battle. But his face dropped as Nick continued, “BUT it’s MY boat and no one gets on it unless they have one on.” All of us looked at Nick with wide eyes. He was staring right into Kevin’s eyes, with a hand on his hip.

“You can’t make me do something I don’t want to do, Nickolas,” Kevin argued. His eyebrows scrunched as he narrowed his eyes at Nick. Nick smirked and shrugged his shoulders.

“Okay, everyone with a life jacket, get on the boat. Kevin, you might not want to wait around because we’ll be gone most of the day.” Nick smiled with mock sweetness at Kevin, before helping Baylee onto the boat. Kevin was FURIOUS! I could almost see steam shooting from his ears!

Let me tell you what, no one was more surprised than me! What has gotten into Nick lately? The couple weeks ago, that dumb new dog of Leighanne’s bit Baylee’s leg and Nick called 911. The Tahoe was still in the shop and Leighanne was out with the Blazer. Baylee needed stitches, that was for sure. But when I told Nick we would just DRIVE Baylee to the hospital because an ambulance wasn’t necessary, he laughed at me. He slowly explained the Baylee’s car seat was in the Blazer with Leighanne and we didn’t have a proper way to take Baylee to the hospital! Since when does Nick think of stuff like that?!?! Nick is definitely not the same annoying little blonde boy that he used to be.

Anyways, it’s late and I need some sleep. Today was just too wild of a day and I HAD to document how Nick stood up to Kevin. I think my head is still spinning over the whole incident! The look on Kevin’s face, as Nick started the boat’s engine, was priceless! I don’t think he really knew what had just happened…then again, all of us thought we were dreaming. Well, I’m off to bed now. Night!

- Brian T. Littrell


I smiled as I closed the journal. Hearing Nick yelling at me, I got up and headed downstairs for dinner. I smiled at Nick and patted his shoulder. He looked at me funny and I just winked at him before sitting at the table.

“Mmm, looks good,” I rubbed my hands together.

“Steak is always good. It might not be the traditional Christmas dinner, but we aren’t the traditional family so I guess it fits.” Howie grinned widely as he set the scalloped potatoes in the middle of the table. We spent the rest of the night together. There were no presents this year, but I don’t think any of us cared because we spent the day together. Not to mention, we had a total blast! I actually fell asleep with a grin on my face.
Chapter Sixteen by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:


~~~Thanks so very much to each of you for sending me so much feedback!
I have recieved a lot of helpful reviews. *grin* You guys ROCK! ~~~


Our vacation ended all too soon and we were already on the plane, headed for home. Sure, the three days, in the snow, were a total blast and we all had some kind of minor injury but, all good things must come to an end. The flight was already half over when I finally decided to talk to AJ, who was sitting beside me. My nerves kicked in, although I am not sure why.

“Jay Jay?”

“Yeah, bud?” he set down his book and looked up at me.

“Can we talk?”

“Like I’m going to say ‘no’?” he smirked and rolled his eyes. Shoving his book into his carry on, he shifted in his seat to face me.

“Well,” I started, not really knowing what to say. “See, I was looking through my parent’s stuff, you know, and I came across something interesting.”

“Knowing your father, I’m not all that shocked,” he raised his eyebrow. I pulled the journal from my carry on and plopped it in his lap.

“It’s my dad’s journal.”

“Um…okay,” he looked at me with scrunched eyebrows. He picked up the book and flipped through the pages without stopping to read anything.

“I know about my dad’s fight with Kevin. I know Kevin was supposed to be my guardian but he really upset my dad, so my dad changed it,” I explained quietly.

“What? This explains all of that?” he looked at me intensely, then reopened the journal.

“He explains his thought on each of you guys because he was trying to figure out who to make my guardian. After talking about each of you, he said he was leaning towards Howie. I haven’t gotten far enough in it to see why he ended up deciding on Nick,” I explained.

“He talked about each of us?” he questioned before sifting through the pages. I know exactly what he was looking for so I grabbed the journal and easily found the spot for him. I held my breath as I watched him read about my dad’s thoughts on him. AJ’s eyebrows were scrunched and his lips formed a slight frown. After a few moments, he gently closed the book and handed it back to me.

“Um…” I didn’t have the slightest clue how to make him feel better. I was sure that he was hurt over some of the things my dad said about him.

“Looks like Brian knew me better then I thought he did,” he finally sighed. “But, uh, if we find the spot where he explains his reasons for finally choosing Nick, it might help our case to keep Kevin’s dirty mitts off you.”

“Really? You think this could help?”

“Yeah. Um…you should get to reading, little B. When we get back we’ll have a meeting with Riley over it. She’ll give us the low down,” his facial expression hadn’t changed much. I think my dad’s journal entry got under his skin.

“Okay,” I nodded as I turned to the page where I had left off. Oh, by the way, I guess it might help if I mentioned that AJ’s girlfriend, Riley, is a lawyer…and a good one at that. When Kevin first started talking about this custody crap, AJ talked to her and she had agreed, without hesitation, to handle our case. I figured that I would have enough time to read a couple entries before we landed…depending on how long winded my dad got.

July 17, 2005

Journal –

Leighanne and I got into a pretty bad fight today. She thinks I am being too childish over this thing with Kevin. I, on the other hand, know that I am justified in my actions. I officially removed him from the will today. She wouldn’t go with me to do it, so Nick tagged along to help me keep reins on Baylee. At least, I have the support of Nick. Haha. I wonder where THAT will get me.

I paced back and forth for over an hour before I was able to get in and get the will changed. It was not a pleasant experience for me. Plus, I still don’t have a name on that dotted line! My mind wants me to just write down ‘Howard Dorough’, and be done with it, but something is screaming, at me, not to do it. There is no way to explain what is going on inside of me and there is no one I can talk to about it…instead I resort to a dumb old journal.

On a brighter note, Baylee can almost say his entire alphabet, now. Nick has been working on it with him for the last couple of months. It’s really kind of cute to watch. I would have just taught him the song, but Nick had a whole different approach to it. Whatever he has got going on seems to be working though, because Baylee knows the shape, name, and sounds of almost every letter in the alphabet! I am so proud of my little guy.

I took Leighanne out to dinner, hoping to get back on her good side. (I really don’t like sleeping in the guest room.) AJ came over to baby sit so that it could get be me and the Mrs. Nothing seemed to be broken, when we got back and Baylee was , shockingly, already in bed! AJ even cooked something other than macaroni and cheese for Baylee’s dinner. I think I was more proud of AJ than I was of Baylee, for behaving.

Anyways, I am headed off to bed. Howie, Nick, AJ, Baylee, and I are all taking a trip to a water park tomorrow! I am just as excited as Baylee! Leighanne was a bit irritated over the whole idea…this is, UNTIL I told her to go out with the girls for a shopping day. Haha…it works every time!

-B.T.L.


I looked up to see AJ watching me. He gave me a weak smile as he set the book down. “Anything good yet?”

“Not yet, he’s just rambling on, right now. I, kind of, want to skip ahead just to find out, but I also want to read things in order.”

“Order is always good,” he chuckled before going back to his book. I stared off in Nick’s direction for a few minutes. His eyes were closed as he listened to his music. The more I thought about it, the more I was okay with him being my guardian. Perhaps, I was just bitter about not having my parents to raise me.

I let out a long sigh. Running my fingers over the leather binding of the journal, I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. After a few minutes of resting my eyes, I looked to the next entry.

July 18, 2005

Journal –

Today was a BLAST! I am so beat, though! With the exception of Baylee, we are all sun burnt to some level or degree. Speaking of which, I wonder if there is such a thing as using TOO much sunscreen. Have any thoughts? The reason I wonder is because I put a coat of sunscreen on Baylee when we got there and I don’t usually re-apply it for about 3 hours or so, but Nick was slathering the boy up with sunscreen every 45 minutes! I think more of our day was spent watching Nick, put sunscreen on Baylee, then doing anything else. Maybe it’s just me but I think Nick was going a little overboard…I mean, come on, every 45 minutes? The stuff IS water proof!!!

Sometimes I have to double check to make sure that I am Baylee’s father because……OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I looked at the journal funny, with scrunched eyebrows. Why would he cut it off there? That was kind of weird, not to mention, a tad confusing. I wanted to read the next entry so badly and find out what happened, but the plane was already making its descent and I wouldn’t have time.
Chapter Seventeen by alota_cookin
After we landed, AJ immediately spotted Riley waiting for him. His face lit up as he swung her around. She giggled at him and hugged him tightly. As the rest of us approached them, she turned and welcomed Nick, Howie and I with hugs, too. We went and picked up our bags at the claim then headed out to Riley’s Suburban.

“Did you guys have fun?” Riley questioned as she pulled out of the airport.

“It was a blast, baby. You have to come with us next time. I got you a souvenir, though!” AJ grinned widely as he looked at her from the passenger side seat.

“What about you boys?” she looked at us in the rearview mirror.

“It was so cool, Ri!” I smiled at her, leaning up in my seat. “We had a lot of fun in the snow and AJ got pictures of the moose that Nick almost hit!”

“You almost hit a MOOSE?!?” Riley exclaimed with wide eyes. She looked from AJ to Nick with a shocked expression. AJ snickered and nodded but Nick rolled his eyes.

“I didn’t almost hit it! I stopped in plenty of time,” Nick narrowed his eyes but ended up grinning.

“I still got some cool pictures of it though. That thing was HUGE, Ri!”

“I’m sure it was,” she giggled and shook her head as she pulled into our driveway. “You three should come over tomorrow around noon and we will have a barbeque. I have been lonely without you knuckleheads here to bug me.”

“Knuckleheads? Is that what you think of us?” AJ scrunched his eyebrows and frowned. Riley rolled her eyes, as we all got out of the Suburban, and then hit him lightly on the arm.

“You know I can’t live without you guys. Fortunately for me, I don’t think I could get rid of any of you, even if I tried,” she smiled at him.

“That’s because we love you and you love us back. Right?” I smirked. AJ shot me a look, but I ignored it.

“Oh for pete sake, I guess I’m not good at hiding it am I?” she chuckled while throwing her arm around my neck, pretending to choke me. Playing along, I gently elbowed her in the ribs causing her to fall to the ground, pretending to be hurt.

“How could you, Baylee?” AJ gasped as he flung himself on his girlfriend.

“She started it!” Nick stepped up beside AJ.

“Wanna make something of it?” AJ cocked an eyebrow. I was well aware of where this was headed. Howie shook his head as he began unloading our bags.

“I think you already did!” Nick countered, poking AJ’s chest.

“Hello? Dying girlfriend down here!”

“Aw, I’m sorry, baby,” AJ kneeled down beside her again. That was when Nick jumped on his back and yanked at his hair. “Aw, now that’s not fair!”

“How cute,” Riley laughed as she got up from the ground. AJ’s face fell as he looked at her skeptically. Narrowing his eyes he shrugged Nick off his back and walked up to Riley.

“Don’t tell me that you were using me, all this time, to get to Nick,” he asked seriously. Everyone else rolled their eyes and chuckled at him because we all knew he was playing.

“Actually, it’s all one big plot. See, I’m going to hook up with Nick next but my ultimate goal is to snag Howie,” she smirked, throwing her arm over Howie’s shoulder.

“That’s cold, Ri, reeeeeeeal cold,” AJ titled his head to the side.

“Oh please. Don’t give me that, you know that you’re the only man for me,” she left Howie’s side and walked over to kiss AJ’s cheek.

“Aw, nasty, this is the part where they get all mushy, making everyone else evacuate the area,” I grabbed my bags and headed toward the front door.

“You all should go home to do that crap,” Nick instructed them as he approached the door with his own bag in hand. Everyone said their ‘goodnights’ before Riley and AJ left. Howie, Nick and I all headed up to our rooms to unpack. I tossed my bags on the floor and flung myself on my bed. I wasn’t about to unpack, I had more important things to attend to. The anticipation, of my dad’s next journal entry, was enough to kill me!

Lord knows, I didn’t even get the journal open before Nick was knocking on my door! It figures. He asked me to round up all my dirty laundry so that we could get things going. I rolled my eyes before getting up and following his instructions. Rushing around, I quickly gathered my laundry and ran down the stairs. Dropping the pile on the laundry room floor earned me a dirty glare from Nick.

“Aw man,” I grumbled as I quickly started to load the washer. I filled the fabric softener ball and poured in the laundry soap before closing the lid and running out of the room.

“Slow down Baylee! Where’s the fire?” Howie asked, stepping to the side of the stairway as I whizzed past him. I continued to take the stairs two at a time.

“Can’t talk…got things to do…” I breathlessly called over my shoulder. I opened my bedroom door to the sound of my phone ringing. “Great, another distraction. Hello?”

“Hi, Bay, I’m glad to hear that you made it home okay,” Morgan’s voice floated into my ears. I was a little less agitated, now that I knew who was on the other line.

“Oh, hey, Morgs.” I greeted happily. I hadn’t been able to talk to her for almost a week so I was actually quite happy that she called.

“How was your little vacation?”

“It was a lot of fun. We went sledding and Nick almost hit a moose!”

“A moose? Are you guys all okay? I have heard that those things can cause a lot of damage,” her voice carried a tone of worry, which wasn’t really surprising. She was as protective of me as I was of her. It was a two way friendship.

“I said ALMOST hit a moose,” I chuckled. Sitting on my bed, I rested my back against the headboard and kicked my feet up.

“Oh, okay. Hey, I talked to Sean yesterday. He said he won’t be back until the day before school starts back up,” she sighed.

“Well, that sucks. Oh, I almost forgot, how did your…um…date, with Jason, go?” I questioned. I wasn’t really looking forward to the answer because I knew how Jason was, but I needed to know if he hurt her or not. After all, I could have him beat up, if I wanted to. I guess, being the most popular guy in school, has its advantages.

“Oh, Baylee, it was horrid!” she drew in a short gasp before continuing, “he took me to some upscale fancy place and everyone knows that I don’t have things to wear to places like that! I felt so weird and out of place! Then he took me to some lame movie and tried to make a move on me. He wanted me to go out to…well…you know,” her voice was aching with sadness and disappointment. “Just, don’t say it, okay?”

“Say what?”

“I told you so.”

“Oh, Morgan, you know I wouldn’t do anything to make you feel any worse. Hey, you should see if your mom will let you come over for a while tomorrow. We are going to have a barbeque at AJ’s place. You know, that’s always bound to be a lot of fun,” I was trying to lighten her mood a little. She always liked to hang out with us; we always had fun. Every once in a while, AJ would take one of his shopping moods and take us to the mall so he can spoil us. Have I mentioned how much I love him? HAHA!

“Sure, I’ll ask. It sounds like fun. Could we go swimming?” Her voice was cheery again. I could tell that she was smiling at the thought.

“What kind of a question is that? You know, we always do.”

“Cool! I’ll find a way to make sure mom lets me come.”

“Awesome. Give me a call if you need someone to come pick you up or anything. As usual, you just have to bring yourself, a swimsuit and a change of clothes. See you tomorrow, sleep well.”

“Thanks, Baylee. Sweet dreams.” With that, we hung up. I grabbed a Coke from my little refrigerator and settled in with my dad’s journal. Flipping it open, I found my spot and started to read…
Chapter Eighteen by alota_cookin
July 20, 2005

Journal –

What kind of a blind moron am I? Tell me. How is it, that a man can pray day and night for a sign from God, but completely miss it when it comes? I can’t believe I have been so oblivious! God has done everything short of appearing to me and flat out saying ‘Brian you need to choose Nick’! What was I looking for? Was I expecting the clouds to part and God to show his face to me? Seriously!

Here, Nick has been by my side through all of this. He has supported me. Anytime he thought I needed a break, he would take Baylee out and spend the entire day with him. Out of all the guys, Nick spends the most time with Baylee. When all of the other guys bring Baylee back to my arms they are exhausted, irritated, grouchy, or just ready for me to take him home, but not Nick. Nick will spend the day running around the zoo with Baylee and bring him back, just to play trains in Baylee’s room. Nick sits and watches Blue’s Clues and Diego with Baylee on Saturdays. The others roll their eyes and try to change the channel! Nick sings the VeggiTales’ songs WITH Baylee! They both know every single one, by heart! Nick will draw out a game of ‘Hide and Seek’ for hours on end, just to keep Baylee occupied…but Nick LOVES it just as much as Baylee, when anyone else just groans and tries to get out of it.

Then, Nick and the sunscreen thing! That’s the maturity coming out in him. And, when he stood up to Kevin over a LIFE JACKET!!!! The other day, when they went for Happy Meals, Baylee came home crying because Nick wouldn’t let him have the toy. Nick told me that Baylee couldn’t have the toy until after he ate dinner that night because he didn’t eat all his nuggets! Oh, and THEN, I was standing in the kitchen talking with Nick when Baylee asked for a cookie. Nick continued talking to me and handed Baylee a banana instead…a BANANA!! Nick gave Baylee a BANANA because, and I quote, ‘it’s healthier’. Healthier? Coming from Nick? Talk about a slap upside the head and I MISSED it!

How many times does God have to beat me with a stick before I say ‘ouch.’? I have been completely agitated with myself over this. I pray for a sign and He gave me more than I can count. I’m just glad that the message FINALLY penetrated my thick skull!

So, anyways, I went in today and put Nickolas Gene Carter on that little dotted line. It’s official…if anything ever happens to me and Leighanne, Nick will be Baylee’s guardian. I’m just not sure how I am going to tell Nick about this. Hopefully, he will take it well. All I know is that I am sure this is what God wants me to do. Nick can be a bit stubborn though, not to mention, thick headed. It will be interesting. Seeing as he doesn’t want kids of his own, I’m not sure how he’ll react to the idea of “fathering” Baylee, if it’s ever needed. I’m going to wait a little bit and let the dust, in my head, settle. When the time is right, I will just have to sit Nick down for a long heart to heart.

- Brian T. Littrell

P.S. – Thank you my good Lord for answering prayers, even if I am too dumb to realize it!



I blinked rapidly, as I just stared down at the page. Wow. I didn’t know what else to think, except, wow. I never realized that Nick and I were so close when I was that young. I wasn’t even three yet! I remember being close to Nick when I was a bit older, around 7, 8 and 9. I had also seen plenty of pictures of Nick and I, when I was really little, but I didn’t realize our friendship ran so deep when I was that young. Good grief, what’s the age difference?!?

“Say words,” AJ’s sleepy voice chimed after his phone rang.

“I found it,” I told him in a soft voice. I admit it: I was a bit emotional over the whole thing. Mind you, I wasn’t CRYING or anything, but I was worked up about it.’

“Found wha…OH! Really?!? I’m on the way over.” I just stared at the phone after he abruptly hung up. I rolled my eyes and pulled on a shirt before heading downstairs. As I reached the bottom floor, I saw a soft glow coming from Nick’s office. I slowly pushed open the door and stood in the doorway, watching him type on the computer. Staring at him, I thought about the things my father had written in his journal.

“Nick?” I finally spoke in a soft tone. He shifted his eyes, to look at me.

“What are you still doing up, Bay?”

“AJ is on his way over…” I locked eyes with him as he stood. Slowly making his way around the desk, he approached me with concern etched on his facial features.

“Is something wrong, Bay? You can talk to me.”

“No, nothing’s wrong. Things are actually looking right, for a change.”

“I’M HERE! BAYLEE! LET ME SEE IT!!” AJ was shouting as he rounded the corner. He looked from me, to Nick, then to the journal that was clutched in my hand.

“See what?” Nick looked at me with confusion.

“Let’s go to the living room and I will explain it all.” With that, the three of us headed into the living room, where we found Howie passed out on the couch. Nick flipped the TV off and AJ shook Howie’s shoulder, to wake him.

“What’s going on?” Howie questioned as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

“I found this in my parents’ things. I don’t know why I didn’t see it before, but I have been reading it a lot lately and there are some things I want you guys to hear…” I stood by the fireplace, facing the three men that slouched on the large couch. I began to read to them the entry that I had just finished. Nick’s face was blank as he just stared at me. His eyes were wide and his jaw was in his lap as I finished reading what was said about him.

“Sounds, to me, like Brian made the right choice,” Howie nodded with a smile. Reaching over to Nick, Howie placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I agree,” AJ nudged Nick in the ribs, but Nick remained in the same position, with the same blank stare. So, I looked down and began reading the next entry. I hadn’t read this one, so I wasn’t sure what was to come, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.


July 28, 2005

Journal –

I haven’t worked up the nerve to tell Nick, yet. I am a little worried that he will refuse the ‘job’. Nick doubts himself too much and I’m sure he is going to question my decision. Maybe, it’s best to not tell him at all. I mean, what is the likelihood of him needing to assume the role, anyways?

Why does this whole thing have to be so hard? And, why do I feel such a strong need to work all the kinks out? Maybe God is hitting me, upside the head, with more signs than I am realizing…but, I would rather not think about that possibility. I love Nick and his name is the one that God wanted on that line, so that’s just the way it’s going to be.

Someday, I will tell Nick, but not now. Nick is too insecure about himself and he lets Kevin get to him too much, when he really shouldn’t. I’m not sure what it is, but something is going on with Kevin and, whatever it is, it’s not a good thing. Now that I have a name in the will for Baylee’s guardian, my new mission is to figure out what has gotten into Kevin lately. I have a feeling that this is a can of worms that I am going to dread opening!

For now, I can rest peacefully, knowing that Nick’s name is in the will. I feel a sense of security, now, that I didn’t have before. I have a lot of confidence in this decision and I have slept GREAT since I made it! Now, I am off to another wonderful night’s sleep!

- Brain Thomas Littrell



“So, do you think it will help in court?” I asked looking at AJ.

“You know, I think it will help A LOT!” AJ grinned as he stood up to give me a hug. Nick still looked frozen. I would give ANYTHING to be able to read his mind, right now. It took him a few minutes to snap out of it.

“Ca…can I…can I look at that?” he shook his head as he stumbled over his words. He swallowed hard as he stood and walked towards me. His hand looked like it was shaking as he reached out to grab the journal that I held out for him. His eyebrows scrunched as he ran his fingers over the binding and cover.

“You okay, Nicky?” Howie asked, snaking an arms over his shoulders.

“I…I guess I…” Nick let out a long sigh, “I guess I didn’t realize Brian thought so highly of me. I mean, I know we were best friends and all, but…”

“You’re one of a kind Nick…a real gem,” AJ chuckled while wiggling his eyebrows at Nick. Nick just gave him a ‘don’t start’ look and opened up the journal.

“I didn’t remember that we were so close when I was that young, Nick. I remember things from the years right before I lost mom and dad, but not THAT far back. I was unaware that you…well…you were my best friend.”

“The sad thing is, I think I still remember some of those songs,” Nick chuckled loudly. “If you like to talk to tomatoes…”

“If a squash can make you smile…” a smile broke out on my lips as I saw the other two men roll their eyes.

“O Lord, I thought we were past this crap,” AJ flung himself back onto the couch with a long sigh. This just caused Nick’s smile to grow as he continued with the song.

“If you like to waltz with potatoes…” Nick sang a little off tune.

“…up and down the grocery isle…” I grinned as we flung our arms around each other.

“Have we…got a show…for YOU!” we chimed together before busting, at the seams, with laughter.

“Ooookay,” Howie raised his eyebrows and backed further away from us, “I think it’s about time for me to go to bed.”

“Yeah…I think I’m with D. on this one,” AJ nodded.

“EEEEEEEEEW! You’re nasty!” I scrunched my nose causing Nick to look at me and burst into hysterics.

“BAYLEE!” Howie’s eyes came close to popping out of his head.

“What? AJ’s the one who said he was ‘with you’ on going to bed,” Nick gasped as he sat in one of the chairs to continue laughing. AJ just looked at me with a cocked eyebrow.

“Hey, I learned from the best. You guys have no one to blame but yourselves.”

“That’s gross, BayBay. I meant…I was with him on the CONCEPT of going to bed…not…uck…”

“Face it AJ, even if we WERE gay, you wouldn’t be able to handle being my bitch anyways,” Howie snickered.

“Wha…” AJ scoffed as he turned to face Howie. “I don’t even want to think about that kind of thing.” AJ’s shoulders visibly shuddered as he began walking towards the front door. “Good night, guys.”

“Night, JayJay,” I waved. He closed the door, shaking his head. “I think I am going to head up to my room. I’m pretty tired. But, Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“We’ll talk in the morning, okay?”

“You got it. Sleep well, Baylee,” he smiled at me warmly.

“Good night, Nick. Night, Howie.”

“Night.”

I headed up to my room. Crawling into bed, I realized that I left the journal with Nick. I decided, that might actually be a good thing, and I snuggled under my covers. Sleep quickly consumed me and I slept pretty well!
Chapter Nineteen by alota_cookin
“MORGAN!” I picked her up and swung her around in circles.

“Okay, Bay, you can put me down now!” she giggled. It didn’t take much, once she put me on the phone with her mom, to get permission for Morgan to spend the day with me.

“I’m so happy you came! Come on, let’s go out back to the pool. Nick and AJ are fighting over who gets to man the grill,” I laughed as I pulled her by the hand. We rounded the side of the house and joined Howie, AJ, Nick, and Riley in the back yard.

“They always fight over who mans the grill. AJ usually wins,” she smiled. “Hi, guys.”

“Heya, Morgan!” AJ grinned widely. “Glad you could make it. You know we love to have ya.” He pulled her into a friendly hug, before returning to his battle, with Nick, over grilling rights. “It’s my grill!”

“Let’s go get ready so we can get into the pool,” I suggested, rolling my eyes at the two men fighting.

“Sounds like a good plan, Baylee,” she grinned and followed me into the house. She immediately headed to the downstairs bathroom as I headed up to the second floor. After only a minute or two, I was changed and standing by the sliding glass door. Morgan came out a moment later.

“Nice suit,” I grinned, “is it new?”

“Yeah,” she blushed deeply. She always did, when I complimented her, even if it was the smallest one. I guess, she doesn’t get many.

“It’s cute. I like the flowers. Hey let’s run and jump,” I smirked. We did just that, too. Both of us ran toward the pool with our curls bouncing. My hair is kind of a mini fro. I like it cut to, about, the middle of my ears…you know, so it’s a little long…and it gets frizzy sometimes. Her curls are a lot longer than mine. I don’t know how she can stand it! They land in the middle of her back and when they are wet, it reaches her butt! No wonder she can’t keep them under control! Anyways, we jumped in the air, tucking our legs under us.

“CANNON BAAAAAALL!” she screamed just before we landed in the middle of the pool. Once we surfaced, I saw Howie standing, a few feet from the edge, soaked!

“You two are gonna get it, you know that right?” he cocked an eyebrow as a smirk slowly crept onto his lips.

“You would have to catch us, first!” I laughed as Morgan and I climbed out on the other side of the pool. We glanced at Howie and made a run for the house.

“Don’t drip water on my new carpet!” Nick shouted as Morgan and I raced through the French doors. We scampered around the corner and into a linen closet. It was a bit of a tight fit, but we huddled, waiting for Howie. Sure enough, we didn’t have to wait long.

“Alright, kiddies, where aaaaare youuuu?” Howie yelled as we heard his footsteps nearing.

“RIGHT HERE!” I screamed as Morgan and I flew out of the closet and tumbled over Howie. He hit the floor with a thud and with us on top of him. We quickly climbed off of him and ran back out to the pool. Morgan giggled wildly as we headed to jump into the water.

“Will they ever learn?” AJ shook his head, from his position behind the grill. Riley had joined the party and was standing behind him with her arms around his waist. They looked really good together. I smiled as I thought about how happy my dad would be, to see AJ like this.

“Oooo! I looove this song! Turn it up, Nick?” Morgan looked up to Nick, who stood close to the stereo. “Oh yeah!” She laughed as he cranked the volume and we started dancing around the pool.

“YOU! Shook me aaaaall niiiiiight looooong!” I sang as we flung our arms in the air and shook our butts. “Baby…YOU! Shook me aaaaaall niiiiight looooong!” The guys were laughing at us as we danced and pretended to sing in microphones. It’s times like these that make me so happy to have a friend like Morgan! We constantly provided the adults with quality entertainment.

“Isn’t that a bit old school for you guys?” Howie raised an eyebrow at us as the song ended and we sat back down.

“Good taste only knows good music, not the time in which it was made,” Morgan replied, trying to sound like she was full of wisdom.

“Yeah,” I nodded, pointing my thumb at her, “what she said.” We both laughed and jumped back into the pool. Ah, I love our barbeques!

“Food’s ready, guys,” AJ announced, holding his spatula in the air. Nick and Howie walked over to help with the food as Morgan and I went in the house. Walking into the kitchen, she started to grab condiments from the refrigerator as I got the paper plates. After all these years, AJ still prefers paper over doing dishes!

“Hey, Morgs…grab the chips?”

“All on it, Bay.”

“Cool, I got the buns, plates, silverware, and potato salad. Are we missing anything?”

“Uuuum…the dip?”

“Already out there.”

“Then, I think we are set.” We loaded our arms and headed back outside. Setting everything on the table, we each grabbed a plate. AJ hooked us each up with a burger and we fixed the rest of our plate, before heading to sit beside the pool.

“So, about Jason. You know that you’re too good for him, right?”

“Uh, do we have to talk about this?” She looked at me through the corner of her eye as she played with a chip.

“Come on, Morgan. There has to be someone else that you like. Someone more…or rather, LESS sleazy. Why do you even like him?”

“As a matter of fact, there is another guy that I like,” she scrunched her nose with a sarcastic laugh. “I like Jason because…well…he’s cute.” She shrugged her shoulder and popped the chip, that she had been playing with, in her mouth.

“Aaaah, the foundation of all good relationships…cuteness levels. I wonder how AJ manages, then?”

“AJ’s not ugly,” she responded, jabbing her elbow into my ribs. I shook my head and threw a chip at her.

“So, is this other guy any better than Jason? Really, I don’t like you being around him…he’s a sleaze. I have no choice to be around him because we’re both on the football team, but you…you can spare yourself.”

“Yes, the other guy is better than Jason…WAY better. Just one thing though,” she lifted an eyebrow as she took a swig of her soda.

“Oh? What’s that?”

“Completely unattainable.”

“Whatever, just consult me first, from now on, if you decide to start dating one of the guys in our school. You know, I know who’s descent and who’s not.”

“You’re not my older brother Baylee.”

“But, I am the closest you’ve got,” I pointed out and she just threw her last chip at me. I set my plate beside me, then grabbed hers and set it with mine. I smirked as I tackled her into the pool.

“BAYLEE,” she couched as we resurfaced. “Don’t you know that you can’t swim for an hour after eating?”

“Hog wash. The water is only up to our chest,” I rolled my eyes at her. “Besides, that wasn’t swimming, it was more of a tackle.”

“Whatever, Baylee.”

“Hey guys, we’re gonna go watch pro wrestling. You two in?” Nick shouted out the French doors.

“As long as I can test the moves on Baylee, I’m in!”

“Oh you know I’ll get the three count before you,” I laughed as we raced into the house. Morgan and I dried off and she pulled on a t-shirt, over her suit, before we sprawled out on the floor. Morgan used my arm as a pillow and soon most of us were passed out. Ah yes, we play, we swim, we harass each other, we eat, then we pass out in front of the TV…typical barbeque! This all happens by 3 in the afternoon and we snooze until 5 or 6 then do it all over again. Except, sometimes, we’ll go pass out in our beds, the second time, instead of in front of the TV. We’re an odd bunch, but I am so excited that we are all a happy odd bunch again.

Nick told me that after the barbeque was over and we took Morgan home, he wanted to sit and talk with me. I figured that he must have read more of dad’s journal. I was hoping that he felt better about himself and the situation. Now there was only one major obstacle to overcome…a big, tall, dark haired, cranky, mean obstacle that we call Kevin. I sure hope God is on our side because we’re going to need Him!
Chapter Twenty by alota_cookin
I was the first to wake up from our nap, thanks to my cell phone vibrating on the floor beside me. With my arm that wasn’t under Morgan’s head, I reached around for it. Wrapping my fingers around it, I flipped it open. I held it up to my ear without having looked at the number.

“Hello?” I half groaned into the phone.

“Bay…Bay…”

“Mason? What’s wrong? Why are you crying?” I was fully awake now. I could hear him sobbing heavily on the other end.

“Dad…he…and mom…a gun…and…the lawyer…Nick…”

“Whoa, Mase, calm down and tell me what’s wrong. You aren’t making any sense.” The word ‘gun’ had me panicking, but I couldn’t let him know that.

“This guy…he came to the house…and he asked dad for his money…something about crack and meth…I don’t know…then dad said he…he…he didn’t have the money,” Mason stuttered through his explanation as a new wave of hysterical crying took over him. “The guy shot moooooooooom.”

“Is this Mr. Nick Carter?” a deep voice boomed into my ear.

“No. This is Baylee, Mason’s cousin.”

“I need Mr. Carter to meet me at Mercy Hospital as soon as possible.”

“We’ll be there right away, sir,” I assured him before hanging up the phone. A single tear streaked down my cheek. I knew, pretty much, exactly how Mason was feeling. I just hoped Aunt Kristin was going to be okay.

“Baylee?” Morgan’s soft voice shook me back to reality. “Are you okay?”

“No.” I answered her quickly before getting up. “Nick. Wake up.” I came to his side and tapped his shoulder.

“Mmmm. Go away.” He shifted slightly, waving his hand at me.

“NO NICK WAKE UP,” I shouted and shook his shoulder with urgency.

“Uh, what is it Bay?”

“Mason just called. Aunt Kristin is in the hospital.” His eyes flew open as he sat straight up, causing Howie, who was leaning on him, to fall over and wake up, too.

“What? What happened?” I could see the panic rising in his face, as well. At least, I wasn’t the only one, now, who was going into full panic mode.

“I’m not really sure, Mason wasn’t making much sense but, evidently, some guy came to collect money from Uncle Kevin for crack and meth. Kevin said he didn’t have the money and the guy shot Aunt Kristin. Some guy, I think it’s their lawyer, needs you to go to the hospital right away,” I explained as thoroughly as I could.

“O my gosh,” Morgan clasped a hand over her mouth and looked at me with concern in her eyes. She came up to my side and gave me a half hug.

“Let’s go.” Nick ordered, rising to his feet and grabbing his keys from the coffee table.

“Do you want me to come, Baylee?” Morgan’s voice was soft and gentle. I know she wanted to be there, to be my strength. She can always tell when I am about to loose it.

“Would you?” I asked quietly, looking down at her. She grabbed my hand and walked with me, behind Nick, to his car. We all climbed in and started the journey to the hospital. The ride was silent. I sat shotgun, by Nick and Morgan sat behind me, rubbing on my shoulders. Anytime I am stressed or upset, she automatically does that…rubs my shoulders. I’m not sure if it’s to relieve tension or to, just, let me know that she’s there; either way, it always feels good and comforting.

“Call Mason’s cell and find out where we have to meet them,” Nick instructed as we turned down the street where the hospital was located.

“Ok,” I nodded and pulled my cell back out. “Mason? Hey, where do we have to meet you? We’re almost there. Yeah…uhuh…okay. See you in a few.” I snapped the phone shut and turned back to Nick, “They are going to meet us in the lobby.”

“Okay,” he sighed heavily as he pulled into the parking lot. It took a few minutes to find a parking space but once we did, we quickly exited the car.

“Should you call your mom and let her know that you might be late?” I held out my phone to Morgan who slowly took it from me.

“I guess, I should,” she nodded and held the phone up to her ear. Just as we reached the front doors, she handed it back and told me that her mother gave her permission to stay as long as she was needed.

“BAYLEE!” Mason cried, running towards me, as we walked into the lobby. He flung himself into my arms, which I wrapped tightly around him. This was hitting a little too close to home. Mason is only a year older than what I was when I lost my parents. It was a bit different because his father isn’t dead but he was lost to drugs and his mom is…well…it’s just different.

“You okay, Mase?”

“They don’t think mom’s gonna make it, Bay! And, they took dad away, to jail.”

“Everything’s going to be okay. You will be alright, I promise,” I assured him as I rubbed his back, not breaking the death grip, of a hug, that he held on me.

“How did you do it, Baylee? I’m so scared. This is all, my dad’s fault!” he whimpered into my shoulder. I was fighting back my own tears as Morgan stood a few feet away to allow us some room.

“I want to talk to Kristin before I sign anything!” I heard Nick’s voice shouting across the lobby. The other guy must have given in because Nick turned and gave me the ‘stay here’ signal. I nodded my understanding, before he turned and walked away with the other guy. Breaking the hug with Mason, I led him over to some of the chairs. Morgan had wandered into the gift shop, no doubt, to find a comforting gift for Mason.

“How long did it take before you got used to not having Uncle Brian and Aunt Leighanne?”

“I still haven’t gotten used to it, Mason. That’s not really something that you can get used to. You keep expecting to wake up and find that it was all a dream. You look at the door, expecting them to walk through it, but they never do. It’s a sucky thing to deal with, I won’t lie.”

“You’re supposed to be making me feel better!” He wailed as tears started streaming down his face again.

“By what? Lying to you? Come on, Mason, you know I won’t do that. But, I can be here for you to help you deal with it. There’s nothing that will take away the pain or make it all better, you know that’s not how it works.”

“I know. I just wish…” he sighed. Morgan reappeared in front of us. Her hair was all matted again because she fell asleep with her hair wet. It almost made me want to snicker, because it was almost cute, in a way. She held out a small book, to Mason.

“It’s a book about friendship,” she spoke softly as she kneeled in front of my cousin. “Friendship can help you through just about anything. You have already got Baylee, and I can be a friend too, if you want me to be. Having Baylee to lean on, has gotten me through a lot and we can help you through this, Mason, if you let us.”

“She’s right, Mase. I met Morgan, less than, a year after my mom and dad died, and I was still a complete wreck over it. You wouldn’t believe, even as new friends, how much she helped me cope. She has helped me through all the crap with Nick and stuff, too. It’s going to be rough, but we’ll help you deal. After all, we both can relate, to you, on some level. Morgan hadn’t seen her dad since she was like, what? Five?”

“Yeah. My parents got divorced and he left without saying ‘goodbye’.”

“Then, last summer, she found out that he died from a heart attack. We know how it feels, Mase.”

“Thanks guys. I would like to have you as a friend, Morgan. I know that Bay thinks a lot of you and you’re his best friend, so I know we’d get along, too.”

“Well that’s good to hear,” Nick’s voice startled us. “Mason, you’re coming home with us.”

“What?” the three of us said in unison, looking up to Nick.

“Because of the charges against your father, your mom has full legal rights. She had the lawyer draw up papers to make me a temporary guardian until she gets better. If, God forbid, she doesn’t pull through, then you will be permanently living with us,” Nick explained slowly and gently. He kneeled down in front of Mason and continued, “I know this is a lot to take in, Mason, but you can’t go back with your dad. He is in a lot of trouble and he needs help. Until he gets that help, you aren’t safe with him, okay?”

“Okay,” Mason sniffled as he kept his eyes locked with Nick’s. “When is dad going to get help?”

“I don’t know, Mason. He has to want that help. Just like you heard about Uncle AJ…he had to want to get better. If your dad doesn’t want it…well…he won’t get better.”

“Why didn’t mom send me to live with Grandma or something?”

“Your mom is afraid that they would let you go back to your dad, if he got out of jail. They don’t know that your dad has a problem…none of your family does, at least, not yet. For some reason, your mom thinks you are safest with me and Baylee. I asked her all those questions, too, but she insists, that this is what she wants, and she already signed all the papers, so…” Nick trailed off with a shrug.

Morgan sat next to me, leaning her head on my shoulder, as she waited with me, while Nick took Mason up to talk to his mom. Morgan and I had been sitting in silence for 15 minutes so far. I fidgeted with my fingers and was sure that Morgan had dozed back off, until her voice broke my thoughts.

“Baylee?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m proud of you,” she sat up and smiled at me.

“Why?” I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, ad I met her gaze. She looked down at her hands for a moment before looking into my eyes again.

“You handled things, with Mason, really well. I know that it’s killing you inside, but you are standing strong for him and that’s what he needs. You’re amazing with him,” she had looked away from me and was now staring at the floor.

“I don’t feel very strong.” I let out a long sigh. Every ounce of me just wanted to break down and cry.

“Well, you are. And later, when we get back to your house, we can lock ourselves in your room so you can just break down and cry. My shoulder doesn’t have any other plans for the night, so it’s all yours.” Okay…that was weird…she just, totally, read my mind! I should be used to it, by now, because she does it fairly often.

“Thanks, Morgs.”

“Never a problem, Bay,” she smiled sweetly and squeezed my hand. Just at that moment, we saw Nick and Mason step off the elevator. Mason’s cheeks were tear stained as they slowly walked towards us. Mason looked like the world just came to an end and my worst fears were confirmed when Nick, without lifting his head said…

“She’s gone.”
Chapter Twenty-One by alota_cookin
I trudged into my room and collapsed, face down, on my bed. I groaned as I clutched the pillow under me. It was a few minutes before I heard my bedroom door creak open. No voice spoke, but I knew it was Morgan when she climbed up and straddled her legs over my waist, sitting on my butt. I felt her hands firmly start rubbing on my shoulders, and I could feel myself relaxing a little.

“Wanna talk about it, Bay?” Her voice was so tender and full of concern. I turned my head and looked back at her, through the corner of my eyes.

“I don’t know. This whole thing just really sucks,” I moaned as I turned to burry my face back in the pillow. I felt her weight lift off of me and re position to a spot, next to me, on the bed.

“I know it’s aggravating, but at least Kevin doesn’t stand a chance at winning custody over you, now,” she sighed. I turned onto my back and positioned myself sideways on the bed so that I could rest my head in her lap.

“Isn’t it kind of messed up, for me to be happy, though? I mean, now, Mason is loosing his dad…not to mention, the fact that his mom died today.”

“Mason is a lot better off, here with you and Nick. Come on, your aunt was killed because of your uncle. You wouldn’t want your cousin to fall victim, now would you?” she responded softly. Her fingers were twirling my curls around themselves. My fingers were linked together and resting on my stomach as I tried to blink away tears that were forming in my eyes.

“I guess you’re right,” I sighed heavily. “I just really hate the fact that he has to go through what I did.” I shot up of the bed and began pacing my bedroom floor. “Loosing your parents sucks, you know that. The fact that Mason is loosing his dad because he decided he wanted to be a druggie?!? God! It’s like my uncle doesn’t care how he is affecting everyone else!”

“Maybe your uncle will realize that he needs help.” She sat on the bed, watching me pace. I felt a few tears, finally, escape my eyes and trail down my cheeks. That’s when I broke and the tears started flowing like Niagara. My shoulders shook as I let the sobs rake over my body and I felt Morgan’s arms encircle me.

“I just…” I let my head fall onto her shoulder, just like she mentioned before. At least, her shoulder had nothing better to do. “It’s just not fair!”

“I know it’s not, Bay,” she soothed, rubbing my back. She was the only one I trusted enough, to break down in front of. I don’t even know if I could cry, like a baby, in front of any of the other guys…just Morgan.

“How could God let this happen? What did we do?” Morgan led me over to sit on the bed. I still leaned into her as she kept her arms around me.

“Shhhh…you didn’t do anything Baylee, neither of you did,” she pulled away and lifted my chin so that our eyes locked. She used her long sleeve to wipe the tears from my cheeks. “Things happen, Bay, and none of us understand why. Maybe this is what it will take for Kevin to realize that he needs help, I don’t know. But you can’t think, even for a second, that this is happening because you did something. We’ve talked about this, before. We should never feel guilty or responsible for things that are out of our control. Mason needs to know that, too.”

“I know,” I sighed, again. Her hand still rubbed slow circles on my back. “I just don’t know why nothing can ever go right!”

“A lot of things have gone right, Baylee. It’s just hard to see those things, right now. Your emotions are clouded and that’s okay, but if life were all rainbows and fluffy bunnies, how could you appreciate it?”

“I don’t like bunnies,” I huffed, with a faint smirk.

“Okay fine, rainbows and fuzzy monkeys, sunshine and chirping birds, fuzzy monkeys wearing furry Batman slippers…whatever.” She rolled her eyes at me. “You get my point.”

“Yeah, but I was trying to avoid having to admit that you had one,” I replied, with a laugh.

“Funny, Bay. Do you feel any better?”

“A little,” I nodded slightly. “But you know what would really make me feel better?”

“Dare I ask?” I answered her with a smack from my pillow. “Oh, no you didn’t!”

“What are ya gonna do about it?” I asked her, with a smirk. She narrowed her eyes at me. “Hey, be nice and remember that I am emotionally vulnerable, right now.”

“Vulnerable, my rear end, Baylee,” she laughed as she hit me in the butt with the pillow. I turned to look at her and tilted my head with mock offence.

“That wasn’t nice.” I stuck out my bottom lip into a pout, but I knew she wouldn’t buy it. She hopped off the bed and came towards me.

“You started it!” she yelled. I exited my room and raced down the stairs, with her hot on my trail. Morgan swung the pillow as we reached the landing at, the bottom of the stairs. Unfortunately, for her, I ducked and her pillow sailed into Nick’s stomach.

“You two are in for it!” Nick turned and grabbed a pillow from the living room. Next thing I know, Howie and Mason had joined in and there is a huge pillow war, taking place, in our living room. Pillows sailed in every direction and all of us were laughing hysterically.

“AAAAAAAH!” I saw, through the corner of my eye, Howie hit Nick in the…urm…happy place, with a pillow. Nick was clutching….himself, but kept swinging at Howie. Howie ran out the front door, followed by Nick and Mason. Morgan and I looked at each other with wide grins.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” she asked mischievously.

“Hose or sprinkler?”

“You get one and I get the other?” She made the suggestion and I just looked at her.

“This is why you are my best friend, Morgs!” I nodded seriously, just before we took off, out the back door. We headed around the side of the house. I signaled to her and she turned on the sprinkler system as I hit them with the hose, at full blast. Howie screamed like a little school girl as Mason ran to try and tackle me.

“BAYLEE THOMAS WYLEE LITTRELL!!!” Nick screamed as he, too, headed in my direction. Morgan was on the other end of the front yard, laughing wildly and I was about to be attacked.

“This isn’t funny, Morgan! HELP ME!” I shouted across the lawn, at her, as I turned and made a beeline for the house. Taking the steps, two at a time, I made my way into my room. I quickly locked myself into my bathroom.

“Baylee?” I heard Morgan’s whisper from outside the door. “Let me in, I locked them out of the house and Nick’s face is turning purple.”

“We’re dead as soon as they figure out how to get back in,” I snickered as I opened the door for her.

“Tell me about it!” She sat next to me, with our backs leaning on the tub. I slung my arm over her shoulders and pulled her into a hug.

“You’re the best Morgan,” I smiled at her. “I don’t know what I’d do with out my bestest friend.” I saw a light blush rise in her cheeks. “And, you gotta stop blushing every time I compliment you! Good grief,” I rolled my eyes and snickered as I leaned over to kiss her forehead.

“I don’t blush!”

“Yeah, tell it to the judge,” I laughed, which seemed to make her blush worse. Girls are so weird! I gave her a tight squeeze and ruffled her curls. Sighing heavily, I got to my feet and held a hand out to her. “We better go let them in, before we loose our lives.”

“Yeah,” she spoke softly, “I guess we should.”

After we went downstairs, we found the others had already gotten into the house and were lounging around the TV. Nick looked up, when he saw us, and said it was time to take Morgan home. The ride, to drop her off, was pretty quiet and, before I knew it, Nick and I were back home. He pulled me into the office. I had forgotten about this little talk that he wanted to have. None the less, I sat down in the big leather chair and picked up my dad’s journal off Nick’s desk. I flipped through the pages as Nick began to talk.
Chapter Twenty-Two by alota_cookin
“So…” Nick paced a circle near the office window.

“What?” I asked as I continued to look over the journal I had missed.

“I guess your dad made it pretty clear, huh?”

“I guess,” I shrugged, not really knowing what he was getting at.

“Um…”

“You know,” I spoke up, deciding to save him from his moment of awkwardness. “I understand why my dad picked you. It makes a lot of sense. I never realized you loved me so much.” I snickered, leaning back in the chair.

“Come on, you know I love you like you were my own son.”

“Or little brother,” I grinned widely. He narrowed his eyes at me but still allowed a snicker to escape. “We were more like partners in crime.”

“Yeah, we were,” he nodded. “I miss those days.”

“Um…if I could remember them, I’m sure I would miss them too. I am so glad I found dad’s journal because it’s like a window into our past. Honestly, I think that I understand things a lot better now. Oh, and for the record, I’m not mad at his decision any more; I’m okay with having you as a guardian. I shouldn’t have treated you so badly.”

“Yeah, well I shouldn’t have listened to the drug addict I used to consider a father. I was so confused, Baylee, and I really thought that he would know what was best. I knew he was drugged up but I figured he would know, better than me, how to raise you. When he told me to stop goofing around or he was going to take you…I did it…I turned into a blonde version of him. Why didn’t I see it before? This is what Brian wanted. He wanted me to be a guardian AND a friend. God, I’m so dumb!”

“You’re not dumb, Nick,” I broke him from his rant. I approached him and looked up into his eyes. “You were trying to protect me and make my dad proud. So what, if we battled for a couple years? Everything is fine now. I respect you for your decisions and what you have done for me. I don’t hate you and I never meant it when I said I did.”

“Thanks, Baylee. Now, about Morgan…” *BANG BANG BANG BANG*

“Nickolas Gene Carter! You open this door right now and give me my son!” Kevin’s voice boomed through the front door as he continued to pound on the wood.

“He must have made bail,” Nick’s face was etched with concern and my eyes were, practically, popped out onto the floor. “Go. Go get Mason and get to Morgan’s. Stay there and don’t you dare answer any calls unless they are from AJ’s cell phone. Do you understand me?”

“Yeah,” I nodded and raced up the stairs. As soon as I was around the corner, I heard the front door open.

“Where is my son, Carter?”

“He’s not available to talk right now.” Nick’s response was calm. I flipped open my cell and pressed 3 on speed dial.

“Mason, grab some clothes, quick.” I instructed my younger cousin as I listened to the phone ring.

“Speak words and talk to me,” AJ’s chipper voice floated over the phone line.

“AJ, get over here now. Kevin showed up and I think Nick will need backup.”

“On my way,” he responded and hung up. I knew I could count on AJ. Howie was sleeping so, I doubt, anything could wake him up. It would be up to AJ.

“My dad’s here?” Mason questioned as he pushed past me.

“MASON! NO! Come back here!” I raced after him. Just as we reached the top of the stairs we froze at the sight of Kevin’s fist hitting Nick, causing the tall blonde to crumple to the floor.

“STOP!!!” Mason screamed as he bounded down the remaining stairs, with me right on his heals. “What are you doing?”

“I told you to get him out of here, Baylee,” Nick moaned from the floor.

“Shut the fuck up, Carter,” Kevin sneered as he kicked a foot into Nick’s stomach. Nick groaned loudly as Mason stepped between the two men. Seeing Mason take a stand, I slipped up next to him.

“Leave him alone,” Mason ordered.

“He can’t take you away from my Mason. You are MY son!” Kevin’s eyebrows furrowed in anger as Nick slowly stood to his feet.

“Nick didn’t take me away from you! It’s your fault. It’s all your fault! It’s your fault mom is dead and it’s your fault I am here, so don’t you dare try to blame any of this on Nick! Besides, I’m not your son, you gave me up a long time ago, Kevin. You chose your drugs over me!” Mason’s face was red with anger as he spat mean words in his father’s face.

“I’m not the fucking drug addict! I’m not a low life, like AJ,” Kevin shouted, nearing his nose close to Mason’s. My heart ached as I looked to see AJ standing right behind Kevin. AJ’s eyes filled with rage as he just stood there, unnoticed by Kevin.

“Uncle Kevin…”

“Shut the hell up, Baylee, this doesn’t concern you!”

“Don’t you talk to him like that,” Nick stepped between Mason and me to come face to face, again, with Kevin. “Just because you fucked up, doesn’t mean you can take it out on either of…MY boys!”

“You little fuck!” Kevin lunged toward Nick, but was restrained, quickly, from behind. Kevin’s eyes showed his shock as he turned to see whose hands had stopped him from attacking Nick. “YOU!”

“Yeah, me, the low life. But you know, it’s not like I had a very good role model,” AJ smirked with a raised eyebrow.

“STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Mason screamed at the top of his lungs. “Everybody just STOP! I am so sick of this!”

“I second that,” I nodded. “It seems to me like Mason and I should be YOUR guys’ guardians.”

“Yeah, for talking all this crap about Nick being an immature little kid…you sure aren’t any better…Kevin,” Mason stared his father down.

“All of you…to the living room…NOW!” I pointed my finger towards the doorway of the living room.

“Don’t you dare…” Kevin began to speak but I cut him off.

“No, don’t YOU dare! I said ‘NOW’ and I meant it! It’s about dog on time you guys listened to what we have to say about this.”

“Just go,” AJ shoved Kevin into the living room. I pointed to the couch. Nick and AJ plopped onto the couch as Kevin slumped into a chair, with a scowl.

“Baylee’s right, this has got to stop,” Mason began as we stood in front of the others.

“Have any of you ever stopped to think about how this was affecting us? I have been in the middle of these battles for years! I am so sick of hearing you guys bicker and scream. And, I am highly disappointed to have witnessed one of you beating on another, tonight,” I narrowed my eyes as I glared at my uncle. “I have had to suffer through this for far too long and now Mason is being dragged into the middle of it?!? What is wrong with you? Who are the adults here? If you judge according to actions…I don’t see any in this room! Now I think we have a right to know, and I demand that you tell us, how this all got started, to begin with!” All eyes turned to my uncle. His eyes darted back and forth between each of us.

“I don’t have to answer to any of you!”

“As a matter of fact, you do,” Mason positioned himself, directly, in front of his father. “I have every right to know why you decided that you loved crack better than me and why you would allow some guy come and kill mom because you didn’t want to pay him for meth. Huh? Don’t you think, as your son, I deserve to know why you say you love me, when you clearly don’t act like it? You’re making everyone else’s life a living hell because you’re a drug addict and can’t control yourself! And, don’t you dare bring AJ into this because I heard you laughing one night about how you got him hooked so no one would suspect you.”

“You can’t talk to me like that,” Kevin huffed.

“Why not? You talk to everyone else, including your own son, like they’re pieces of shit,” I moved next to Mason. “What? You can dish it but you can’t take it? How does it feel to have someone call you out on your screw ups? You seem to enjoy calling out everyone else’s mistakes. Admit it, Uncle Kevin…YOU…ARE…A…FUCK…UP! It’s not Nick that’s screwing up…it wasn’t my dad who screwed up…it’s not AJ who screwed up, either…wake up and smell the rehab because it all falls on you!”

“That’s enough, boys,” Nick interjected softly. “You know I don’t allow that kind of language Baylee, and it’s not proper for you to speak to adults in that manner.”

“I only have one other thing to say,” Mason leaned close to his father and whispered three horrible words. “I…hate you.” Kevin’s eyes grew wide and his eyebrows furrowed.

“I said that was enough, boys. You are both responsible for extra chores tomorrow because you both know better than to act like this,” Nick’s voice remained soft and quiet.

“No,” Kevin’s voice cracked, “they’re right.” Four pair of eyes drifted his way, in utter disbelief. My uncle burst into tears and dropped his head into his hands. The rest of us looked at each other, not sure what to say or do. “I’ve fucked everything up! My wife is gone…all she ever did was stand by me…and…and…and try to help me…and I got her killed! I didn’t mean for everything to get so out of hand…I just…I just couldn’t handle the pressure…” His shoulders shook and his words were hard to understand. The rest of us were frozen. No one expected him to break down like this.

“Dad…”

“NO! You’re right…it’s…it’s…all my…fault,” Kevin’s voice wailed.

“What’s going on?” Howie finally woke up and ran into the room.

“I…I…I…” Kevin’s voice still cracking, he looked up to Howie, with tears streaming down his face, “I need help.”

“What pressure are you talking about, Kevin?” AJ questioned as he, now, knelt in front of my uncle.

“All of it…” he stuttered. I handed him a box of tissues as he continued. “I…I…I just couldn’t take it any more. I tried…I really did…”

“What are you talking about?” AJ asked again.

“You and Nick needed a father figure…I always had to keep the recording and tours running smoothly…Brian was always asking me for marriage advice…Howie would never take charge of things…I had to be…I had to be responsible for all of you! I was in charge of making sure Nick was on time….and…Brian didn’t goof around too much…and Howie stayed awake and…AJ didn’t drink. I have had to do everything! I didn’t want that role…it just got thrown onto my shoulders. Then the drugs helped me release stress. I needed them to stay sane! I tried to keep everything together and be strong for everyone else but I ended up loosing myself, in the process. I just…I couldn’t…handle the…pressure…”

“I didn’t realize you hated it so much,” Nick gasped, with tears forming in his eyes, “I thought you wanted. to be our father figure.”

“Same here,” AJ nodded. “I’m sorry.”

“Me too,” Nick agreed.

“I don’t hate you guys. I just…I’m weak. I tried to be strong…but…I just…I couldn’t do it. I…I never meant for it to get so out of hand. The fans have even noticed what an ass I’ve been.”

“I don’t think they really know, Kev,” Howie soothed.

“Oh really? You don’t think so? Then why, did some crazy fan chase me down the street, waving a stick and threatening to shove it up my ass? She was screaming, and I quote, ‘YOU ASSHOLE!! YOU GOT YOUR WIFE SHOT!! DAMMIT!! GET OVER HERE SO I CAN SHOVE THIS UP YOUR DICKWAD ASS!!’. I didn’t realize the shooting had already leaked out to the fans.”

“We’ll get you help, Kev. It’s not like we didn’t go through this with me,” AJ patted Kevin’s shoulder.

“I’m…I’m sorry I let you all down. Somehow, I don’t think the fans will be as supportive of me as they were of you, AJ,” tears still streaked down his cheeks, but at a slower pace. Mason wrapped his dad in a hug.

“Don’t worry about them,” Nick finally came into the conversation. “We’re just happy that you are ready to do something about your problem. We are here for you and the fans will follow suit.”

“Right…thanks. Well, um, is it alright if I talk to Baylee, for a little bit?”

“Of course,” everyone else nodded before leaving the room. I had been sitting on the couch, just watching the scene unfold. I hadn’t said anything since I yelled at him and I was sure he was about to tear my head off for swearing at him. I clenched my teeth and tensed up as everyone left me and my uncle alone. Readying myself for anything, I waited for him to speak.
Chapter Twenty - Three by alota_cookin
You know how I was looking through my dad’s journal while Nick and I talked, before Kevin showed up? Well, I was able to read a good part of the next journal entry. I was wondering if Nick had read it that far, but the way he reacted to Kevin’s confession, told me that he had not read it. I was more prepared for what was coming, than I let on.

“I’m sorry, Baylee. I was wrong,” Kevin paced the floor and looked down at me. I just glared at him, not saying a word. Watching every single movement, I studied him as he continued. “I’m not sure why I acted the way I did. Obviously, you like being with Nick. I shouldn’t have interfered.” Kevin twisted his hands together as he looked at me, then the wall, then the floor, and then the chair. “I was wrong for the things I said. Hitting Nick was uncalled for,” he sighed as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

“Uhuh…” I responded sarcastically.

“I’m going to get help and straighten myself out. No more drugs. No more bad decisions. No court. No custody battle.”

“May I read something to you?”

“Of course, go ahead.” He nodded a little too happily. Shifting his eyes around the room again, he sat down in the chair.

“Alright here goes,” I flipped open my father’s journal.

“Everything okay in here?” AJ poked his head in the door.

“Yes,” I nodded. “Actually, I was about to read something to Kevin. You guys might be interested, as well.”

“Sure,” AJ shrugged and called the others. Everyone piled back into the room and sat down.

“AJ and Howie, you guys better stand over by Kevin,” I told them as I re-opened the journal. As soon as they got up and stood next to the chair, I began to read. “

August 5th, 2005.

Dear Journal,

You know, it’s really easy to tell when my cousin is lying. I bring this up because he did it to me today. He came and had the NERVE to lie to me and say he was sorry. He promised me all sorts of crap. ‘Oh Brian,’ he says, ‘what have I gotten myself into? I have gotten tangled in this web of drugs and I need help. I couldn’t handle the pressure,’ he says, ‘it has been too much for me to handle. I can’t be everything for everyone…I’m not that strong. I am too weak and AJ’s habits have rubbed off on me! I want help…no more drugs…no more yelling…no more fights. I want to be myself again.’

So why don’t I believe a word he says? First of all, when a person wants to get help, they don’t blame their problems on someone else. I know AJ well enough to know that he would never force anyone to do things like that. AJ is a good man, he has made mistakes and wrong decisions but he’s not a monster! How dare Kevin blame his drug problem on AJ!

I didn’t even realize Kevin was into drugs. How did I not see this? Maybe, this is why God made sure I didn’t have Kevin on the will as Baylee’s guardian. I can’t believe I didn’t see it! It all makes sense, all the pieces are there! What burns my butt the most is that Kevin would lie about wanting help.

How do I know he is full of horse manure? He couldn’t sit still, all he did was pace. He couldn’t look me in the eye for more than a couple second…his eyes get shifty when he lies. The other thing he does…he fiddles with his hands. The clincher, though, he cried. Yep. He cried through the whole confession, but as soon as I said we would get him help, the water works stopped. He was like ‘What about the fans?’ and then was all ‘Right…okay.’ Then it was over!

Kevin has fooled a lot of people in his day, but not me. I know his little quirks and I bet every penny I have, that he won’t go to rehab. My bank account has nothing to worry about because Kevin is full of it. I just pray that he WILL get help someday. Dear God, I hope it is sooner rather than later. May God be with us all because there is a long road ahead.

- Brian Thomas Littrell.


…interesting, huh?” I tilted my head to the side as everyone stared at Kevin. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Heya, Mason,” AJ walked his way. “Mind if I join you and your ‘I Hate Kevin Club?”

“Sure,” Mason shrugged, “the more the merrier.”

“It’s not true…” Kevin choked as he stood to his feet.

“Sounds pretty accurate to me. See, I read it earlier and I watched for the signs. They were all there, Kevin. And, you said all of that stuff to my dad, but never went to rehab. So, what are we to believe?”

“Baylee’s right, Kevin. But…” Nick’s face reflected disappointment and pain. “why would you lie to us? We’re like family, Kevin. All the years we spent together as a group working together, touring together…the five of us did everything, Kevin. I don’t get it. Do you not want help? Do you not want us in your life?”

“Screw this!” Kevin shouted and charged towards the door. He pulled it open and let the door fly into the wall. Storming down the driveway, he got in his vehicle and left.

“Well that sucks. Talk about two steps forward and five steps back! It did seem a little too easy.” Howie huffed as he plopped into the chair that Kevin had been sitting in.

“A little too good to be true?” AJ’s question was more of a statement.

“Exactly.”

“Well, boys,” Nick sighed as he came towards us. We both took position in front of him. “I am proud of you both. Other than a few inappropriate words, you both acted maturely. I just better not hear you talking to any other adults that way,” he smiled and pulled us into a three way hug. “But, since you were trying to help Kevin come to his senses and realize he needs help, we’ll let it slide, this time. Just remember that you are only 10 and 15, and you need to respect adults.”

“We know, Nick. It’s just that…” Mason trailed off as he looked at me.

“We’re frustrated.” I finished Mason’s sentence for him.

“I know. That’s why you’re sliding away with only a few extra chores. No matter how valid your reason was, you still should leave the harsh disrespecting to me…or AJ.” Nick laughed and AJ joined in. Howie wasn’t even paying attention.

“Yeah. I like to disrespect Kevin,” AJ nodded with a grin. “We’ll have to all sit down and concoct a plan to soberize Kevin.”

“Soberize?” Mason, Nick and I looked at AJ funny.

“It’s my word of the day,” he shrugged. “Seriously, though. Kevin needs to be soberized. So, first thing tomorrow, we’ll get to devising an intervention.”

“Sounds like a damn good idea,” Howie’s voice startled us all. “Plan tomorrow…that means sleep now.”

“Yes, Howie, go back to bed,” Nick rolled his eyes at the older man. “We should all get into bed. AJ, you can crash here, if you want.”

“Nah, I’ll head home. Call me when you want me to come over tomorrow.”

“Cool, good night,” Nick called as AJ headed to the door.

“Night everyone,” AJ shouted back as we all waved. Mason and I trudged up the stairs and said our ‘good night’s as well. Closing my bedroom door, I drug my feet towards the bed. I had become extremely tired, all of the sudden. I don’t think my head even hit the pillow before I was asleep and, probably, snoring.
Chapter Twenty-Four by alota_cookin
I moaned as I rolled over, grabbing my ringing cell phone off the night table. By the sound of the Kiss ring tone, I knew exactly who it was, calling me. Flipping open the phone, I held it to my ear without saying a word.

“Get up Bay,” Morgan’s voice drifted into my ear. “I’m getting ready to leave so I’ll be over in 15 minutes. You better be up and ready.”

“Uuuuuuuuh…” I groaned as I covered my head with my pillow.

“Seriously, Bay, I have been doing it by myself all break and I’m sick of it. You are getting up and coming with me, this morning.”

“Okay, okay…I’m getting up. How nice is it outside this morning at…5 a. mmmmmmmm…uhuhuuuuu…” I let out a whinny groan.

“We only have two more days before we go back to school. You really should get back in the habit now so you don’t try, to pick it back up, the first day back to school. It would kill you,” she snickered. “I’m walking out the door, Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell.”

“Alright, alright. I said I was getting up,” I responded in an annoyed tone. I really hated it when people used my full name. Flinging the covers off of me, I swung my legs over the side of the bed.

“It’s really warm out, by the way. I’m wearing shorts.”

“Kay, thanks. See you in a bit,” I sighed.

“Okay, bye.”

“Bye.” I hung up the phone and slowly pushed myself off the bed. Opening my dresser drawer, I pulled out a pair of basketball shorts and slipped them on. There was really no point in showering…even if I did have time. I threw on a pair of socks and my Nike sneakers. I stopped at the linen closet for a sweat towel, before trudging down the stairs. No sooner had I plopped onto the couch, Morgan was at the door.

“Do we have to?” I asked, knowing, very well, what her answer was going to be.

“Look, first of all…put a shirt on…you’ve got a bit of pudge there,” she giggled as the poked my stomach.

“I do not!”

“Yeah…ya do…I think the lack of exercise and the increase of junk intake has really gotten to you. Baylee’s got a bellyyyyy!”

“Shut up!” I turned her, grabbing her waist from behind. “Take it back or I commence with the tickling.” She tried to wiggle from my arms, but I had a good grip of her waist.

“It’s not my fault you’ve been slacking!” She laughed as she reached up and tousled my hair. “You need a hair cut…you look like a shaggy dog.”

“First I’ve got a pudgy belly and now I look like a shaggy dog?!? Oh you’re gonna get it!” I gripped her tighter with my left arm as I used my right to tickle her sides. She squealed and jerked as I continued my tickle assault on her ribs.

“OKAY OKAY! You’re not pudgy…you’re scrawny!”

“Scrawny and muscular, like AJ?” I raised an eyebrow at her and stopped tickling.

“No, just scrawny, but you really should get a hair cut. Your bangs are in your eyes.”

“Hey! I happen to like my curls a bit long,” I let go of her waist and we headed outside. I stretched my legs on the grass for a few minutes, as we continued to talk.

“Good grief, Baylee,” she rolled her eyes at me. We finally took off down the driveway in a power walk. “I didn’t say to cut it like Mason’s hair. I’m talking about getting it back to your normal length.”

“Oh, well that makes more sense.” We had made it about a block and now increased our pace to a jog. I wasn’t about to tell her, but I had to admit that she was right. I needed a cut. Remember back in the earlier Backstreet days, when Howie had his hair to his ears? Like, a medium-ish length? Well, my hair was about to that length…I usually have it a bit shorter. I like my curls, so I don’t keep my hair too short.

“It’s so nice to have your company again,” she huffed as we hit a full run. This is a daily routine for us, usually.

We get up at 4 and are out on our run from 4:30 until 5:30. Once we get back to my place, we shower and get ready for school. This is the main reason she has her own room at our house. She brings her school outfit each day and gets ready, for school, at my house. We have an hour and a half to shower and get ready, and then we leave at 7:00, putting us at school by 7:15. Classes begin at 8:00 and release at 3:15. We walk back to my place and, since we make sure that we always get the same classes, we sit and do our homework, studying, or whatever, together. After schoolwork is done, we either hang out, or Nick drives her home.

“It is nice to be back in the routine,” I smiled as we rounded the corner.

“Hey, Mrs. Lemma,” we called as we waved to the little old lady. Did I mention we take the same running route everyday? It’s nice because we really know the people on our route. Mrs. Lemma waved back to us as we ran past.

“So…how are things in the Carter/Littrell household?”

“Nothing but drama,” I scoffed as we waved to Mr. Jenkins. Sometimes, during the summer, we stop to visit him and he gives us watermelon! Yum!

“Why what happened now?”

“Kevin. He tried apologizing and everything but according to dad’s journal, Kevin was lying. My dad described the habits Kevin has when he lies…and he showed every one of them.”

“That’s messed up. Wouldn’t loosing your Aunt Kris have knocked him in the head enough to realize what he has done?”

“I guess not. I think there is more to it.”

“Nice to see you back, Baylee.”

“Thanks, Miss Conners, it’s nice to see you, too.” I called as we passed. “Anyways, he was all fake crying and everything. Mason said ‘I hate you.’.”

“No way!” she gasped as she looked over at me. We had reached our midway point, a local park. We both got a drink from the fountain and stretched a bit.

“Ugh, what is he doing here? It’s still early; why is he even up this early?” I groaned as I saw Jason coming towards us.

“Hey Baylee,” he greeted with a cocky grin. “How’s it?”

“Fine,” I shrugged as I continued to stretch my muscles.

“Why do you even hang out with her?”

“Don’t start, Jason,” I sighed. I really hated it when he bugged me like this.

“She is so lame,” he huffed in Morgan’s face. I stepped between them and gave him a little shove on the shoulder. I tilted my head to the side, giving him a nasty glare.

“Well you’re a jerk, but no one complains…so back off.”

“Come on Baylee, let’s just go,” she tugged on my bare shoulders. I, kind of, shrugged her hands off as I took a step towards Jason.

“Cool popular people don’t hang out with lame, trailer trash,” he sneered. Was he trying to start a fight? Because, it was about to work!

“First of all, to be trailer trash…you have to live in a trailer. Second of all, it’s not good for you to call yourself names, like that.”

“I was referring to that…thing,” he waved his hand in Morgan’s direction.

“Oh see that’s funny because she is my best friend and I am ten times more popular than you…who is not her friend. Do the math Jason, because I think it adds up to her being cooler than you.” I spat the words in his face as my nose almost touched his. I arrogantly laughed at him before turning to grab Morgan’s arm and start back on our run.

“Baylee…I…” she sighed as we exited the park.

“Stop, Morgan. Do we have to go through this? It’s the same thing every time: someone says something dumb, I always stand up for you; you try to stop it, but I do it anyways; then you tell me I didn’t have to; and I say that I do because you’re my best friend and that’s what friends are for; then you say thank you; and I tell you that there is nothing to thank me for; you say something about me not having to be such a good friend; I look at you funny and say I do it because I want to, not because I have to; you get all mushy and tear up or blush; then we hug.” I drew in a deep breath and stopped running. I looked at her, after she stopped, and locked eyes with her. “Can we cut the nonsense and get straight to the hug this time?”

“Okay,” she nodded, looking at the ground. Needless to say, her cheeks were a crimson red. Why does she always blush?!? I pulled her in for a quick, sweaty hug and we got right back to our run. We were surrounded by only the sound, of our feet hitting the sidewalk, for a good bit before I got an idea.

“Ooo. Let’s take a detour and go to Josie’s for a slushie!”

“I didn’t bring any money. I never bring money on our runs,” she looked at me with raised eyebrows. I just looked over at her funny, in disbelief.

“Since when do I make you pay?”

“Baylee, you know I don’t expect…” she started with another conversation that I had memorized. She always has to make it clear that she doesn’t expect me to do or buy things for her. I think it’s because, some of the kids, at school have accused her of being my friend because she was poor and wanted my money.

“O good god, Morgan,” I interrupted her sentence and stopped running again, this time, in front of Josie’s. “Take the twenty, go in there and get us each a large slushie.” I held out a twenty dollar bill. She sighed and took it from me.

“Grape?”

“What do you think?” I smirked and shook my head as she rolled her eyes and headed into the little ice cream place. Normally, we would go in and sit but I never did put on that shirt, this morning. Not that she wore much more on our runs. She was usually in a pair of running shorts and one of those little athletic tops that look like a sports bra. I sat on the bench, outside, and waited for her to return.

“Baylee…” she handed me my grape slushie as she sat next to me with her cherry one.

“Look, if it’s one of our normal run throughs…why do you even bother, Morgan? You know I have them, all, memorized.” I rested one arm on top of my head as I slouched, holding my slushie in the other hand.

“It’s just that…” she sighed as she swirled her straw in circles, “…Jason’s not entirely wrong.”

“Wha…?” I rolled my eyes and looked over at her with a cocked eyebrow. “Do I dare ask what you mean?” I shifted, leaning forward and resting my head in my hand.

“I’m just saying that it wasn’t really necessary for you to harp on him like that.” I let out a long breath. My eyes closed in frustration.

“See, that’s funny because I thought that it was very appropriate. He was totally ragging on you, Morgs. You know I don’t like that. He is such a sleaze.”

“So anyways, about the encounter with Kevin, last night…”

“Stop.” I started chuckling.

“What?”

“Changing the subject. It’s not going to work, so stop.”

“The other subject came to a close,” she stood up and sighed, looking down at me. Our slushies were only half gone, so I had no intentions of getting up.

“Bull. Anytime we start talking about this, you change the subject.”

“Talking about what?”

“Give me a break. You are too smart to play dumb and you know exactly what I am talking about. You were saying Jason wasn’t entirely wrong…which, must, mean that you believe his crap. I mean, I know the kids at school rag on you and tease you a lot but you can’t, honestly, think that any of the crap they spit is true?”

“Well…” she trailed off, only slightly above a whisper, as she hung her head. I blinked, looking at her in amazement. I knew the things, that they said, bugged her…hell…they would have bugged anyone, but I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that she actually believed them!

“Morgan Lydia Smith!” My mouth gaped open, as my eyebrows scrunched. It was, now, my turn to stand. “You do, don’t you? You believe them! Oh god…” I plopped back down on the bench and let my head fall into my hand. “How did I miss this? Why didn’t I see it? Of all things! Of all people, I should have seen it!” I mumbled to myself, not all that quietly.

“Baylee, it’s not really…” I stood up, dropping my half full slushie to the ground.

“I swear to God, Morgan, if you say that it’s not that big of a deal…uugh!” My fingers ran into my hair and tugged at it. Stupid! That’s what I was…stupid! I’m her best friend…I was supposed to pick up on these things! “How long?”

“How long, what?”

“How long have you believed this shit?” I turned back around, bringing my face only inches from hers, and stared as deep into her eyes as I could.

“Baylee, you should watch…”

“Don’t tell me to watch my mouth Morgan. Answer…the…question.”

“I really don’t wanna…”

“TOUGH!” My nose was so close to touching hers and the flush of embarrassment covered her cheeks.

“I don’t know!” she shouted as she shoved me away from her. “It doesn’t matter. Can we finish our run?” She shoved past me and started jogging back in the direction of my house.

This was unbelievable. I was mad at myself for not having picked up on this. I always knew she was insecure…but she always seemed to be happy around me…wait …? My mind began to race. Which things did she believe? The comments about her being ugly…the ones about her being ‘trailer trash’…the ones about her being a geek…those about how badly she dressed? O dear heaven…please don’t let her believe the ones about her not being good enough or deserving of my friendship!

“MORGAN!” I screamed as I took off after her. She had put quite a distance between us already. I raced, as fast as my legs would carry me, to catch up to her. No wonder she always refused my help but was ready and willing to turn around and offer her own. A light bulb clicked in my head and so many things added up. Boy, am I as dense as my dad, or what?!?
Chapter Twenty-Five by alota_cookin
I jogged up the driveway, just as Morgan was coming out my front door, with her bag over her shoulder. She tried to walk right past me. Hanging her head, she kept walking but was brought to a halt as I wrapped an arm around her waist.

“Come on, Morgan, let’s talk about this.”

“I don’t want to talk,” she replied, breaking free from my grip. I sighed heavily as I watched her take off, down the driveway. I debated the idea of chasing after her, again, but figured it would be better to give her some space and let her cool off. So, I trudged into the house and upstairs, to shower.

I took a nice long, hot shower, hoping that it would help me to think. After getting dressed I plopped onto my bed. None of the guys were up yet, so I looked around to find the number to Sean’s mom’s place. After a bit of searching, I came across it. Quickly, I dialed the number.

“Hello?”

“Hey Sean, I’m glad you’re up,” I greeted sadly.

“What’s up with you? You sound upset.”

“Yeah. See, that’s why I called. Morgan and I went on our run this morning and we ran into Jason. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up finding out that Morgan believes the crap that everyone says about her! Now, she’s trying to avoid me. How did I miss this Sean? I’m her freakin best friend!”

“Well, you missed it because she made special effort to make sure you did. Morgan didn’t want you to know.”

“Wait! You knew about this?!? How come you didn’t tell me?”

“She made me swear,” he stated simply. I shifted on my bed as he continued. “Morgan has been like that ever since I met her, dude. She’s an insecure chick and she just didn’t want you knowing.”

“But she told you?” This was NOT adding up! She tells me everything…or at least, I thought she did. “When did you replace me as the best friend?”

“I haven’t Baylee, that’s the problem. You don’t even know.”

“What? You aren’t making any sense!”

“That’s because, if I did, I would be telling you things that are classified.”

“Classified? Now I’m really confused!”

“Never mind, Baylee. She’s just embarrassed about it; give her time.”

“That’s why I’m so darn frustrated! She’s not supposed to be embarrassed around me…I’m her best friend! She’s supposed to be able to come to me with anything.”

“Don’t worry, this is the only thing that she hasn’t told you about.”

“But, it’s a major thing!”

“Don’t harp on her about not telling you because it will make it worse. Just go talk to her and be supportive of her. She’s afraid that you’ll think less of her…don’t give her any reason to believe that’s true, too.”

“Afraid that I’ll…what? You’re kidding me! She thinks I’m that shallow?” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing! This was unbelievable.

“No, Baylee. It’s not that she thinks you’re shallow. She just really cares about what you think of her.”

“I’m gonna go talk to her,” I sighed. “I hope she’s had enough time to cool off.”

“Just be your normal sweet supportive self…she likes that in you. Something about it making her feel relaxed, or comfortable, or something. I don’t know, it’s a chick thing, I think.”

“Yeah, girls think you’re mad at them if you get upset over something. Why are girls so complicated?”

“I don’t know man. But we’re really going to be in for it when we start having real girlfriends.”

“Ain’t that the truth. Alright, I’ll see ya tomorrow, right?”

“I won’t be in until late, so I’ll just see ya at school.”

“Alright, later.” We both hung up and I shoved the phone in my pocket. I headed downstairs to find AJ and Howie in the kitchen. “Morning guys,” I smiled slightly, as I grabbed an apple.

“Hey, you ready to start our planning?” AJ asked as he shoved a bite of eggs in his mouth.

“Since Nick isn’t up, can I go over to Morgan’s first? We went on our run this morning and let’s just say some crap happened. I really need to talk to her.”

“Is everything okay?”

“Not really,” I sighed as I took a seat next to Howie. “She believes the stuff people say about her. Sean said that she always has but was too afraid to tell me. I don’t know what’s going on. I think she might believe what they say about her not being good enough to be my friend. I’m really worried about her. She was pretty upset.”

“Yikes,” Howie shook his head. “We all really like Morgan. I hope she realizes that.”

“Yeah,” AJ nodded, “she’s a lot of fun. Tell her that we like her and that our opinions are the only ones that count.”

“Okay, I’ll be back in a while,” I called out to them as I headed to the front door. I took my time, walking to her apartment. When I got there, I even hesitated before I finally knocked.

“Hello, Baylee, I knew I would be seeing you. She’s locked herself in her room,” Lisa gave me a sad smile as she let me in.

“She’s still upset?”

“She wouldn’t even open the door for any breakfast.”

“Great,” I sighed sarcastically. I trudged down to her room. Since we have had similar instances happen, I didn’t bother to knock because I knew she wouldn’t open up. She never did, when she was really upset over something. So, I leaned against her door and slid down until I was sitting on the floor. I stretched my legs out in front of me.

“Morgan?”

“Go away, Baylee.”

“You know that I’m not going to, so I’ll just sit out here and talk to you through the door, like I usually do.”

“I’m not listening.”

“Sure. Then why are you answering back?” I smirked. Why did she always have to be so stubborn?

“I’m not.”

“You just did, hun.”

“Shut up,” she shouted as she threw something at the door. The sound of the thud, startled me a little.

“Why are you trying to push me away? I only want to be here for you. You know, just like I have in the past and just like you do for me? You’re my best friend, Morgs, and I hate seeing you upset. Please, just talk to me?” I leaned forward a little in anticipation. Sure enough, the door slowly creaked open. She sighed as she sat down next to me. “Glad to see you decided to join me.”

All I got in response was a shrug of her shoulders. Her light brown eyes stared out in front of her, the green specks catching the light, as she remained silent. This was going to be tougher that I thought. Normally she would be talking my ear off about everything, by now.

“Morgan?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m not sure exactly what you believe, okay. But, right now, do you know what my biggest fear is?” I gently rested my hand on her shoulder. She had also showered and changed, after getting back from our run. Her hair was still damp and her curls laid on her shoulders without any sign of frizziness.

“What?”

“I’m really worried, that you think they are right, about you not being good enough to be my friend. You have no idea how bad I felt when I realized that you might actually believe that,” I confessed. I tried to pull her into a hug but she resisted.

“And what if they aren’t wrong, Baylee? Huh? What then?” she stood up and stared down at me. I could see that her eyes were all puffy from crying and her cheeks had tear stains streaked down them.

“What are you talking about?” I stood up and looked directly into her eyes. “Of course they are wrong! Besides, who cares what they think?” I took a firm hold of her shoulders, to keep her from turning away. “You’re my best friend, Morgan, okay? Nothing and no one is going to change that…ever! Do you understand me? Forget about them, they’re lame for not seeing what a wonderful person you are. Not that it hurts my feelings any, because that means Sean and I don’t have to share you with anyone else.”

“Oh, Baylee…” she sniffled, as a blush rose in her cheeks. I pulled her into a hug, wrapping my arms around her.

“Feel any better?”

“A little.”

“Wanna hit my on the head with a pillow?” I asked with a smirk.

“That won’t be necessary.”

“Come on, it always makes me fell better when I hit you with a pillow. It should work the other way around, too. Or, you could come over to my place and help devise a plan to soberize Kevin,” I smirked, knowing that she would take the bait.

“Hmmm, that sounds interesting,” she rubbed her chin. “Yes, I think you guys could use some help with that.”

“Great, come on, then.” After saying ‘good-bye’ to her mother, we headed out the door and towards my place. We were about halfway there when I jogged in front of her, turned around, and lifted her up onto my shoulder.

“Put me down,” she squealed, “I am not a sack of potatoes, you know!” I ignored her and kept on walking as she swatted my butt, repeatedly. I carried her all the way back to my place…she’s not really that heavy. Once inside, I flung her onto the couch and took a seat on her stomach.

“No what are you gonna give me? You’ll have to bribe me good, if you don’t want to be tickled.” I snickered as I wiggled my butt on her stomach.

“Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell!”

“Yes, Morgan Lydia Smith?”

“Get up!”

“No!” I smiled widely at her, but she just glared back at me. The three guys, must have, heard the commotion because they all filed into the living room.

“What are you…you know what, I don’t wanna know,” AJ cocked an eyebrow at us and shook his head, before plopping into the chair.

“Everything okay with you two?” Nick asked as he plopped, heavily, onto AJ’s lap. AJ scrunched his nose and shoved Nick to the floor.

“So, what are we going to do about Kevin?” I asked, still sitting on Morgan, but leaning back to rest on the back of the couch…Morgan was officially a couch cushion!

“Why don’t you guys clean out one of the guest rooms, and lock him in there until he is done going through withdraws? After all, it’s not like he’ll stay in rehab,” Morgan suggested. She had her hands behind her head and her legs crossed at the ankles. I guess I sit on her enough that she is used to it…not like I weigh much, either.

“That’s not a bad idea,” Howie nodded.

“Why don’t we find that crazed fan and pay her to come beat him with that stick, she threatened him with?” I asked, laughing.

“Hmmm, another descent idea,” AJ smiled. “Maybe we should just lock her in there with him and she can do whatever she wants to or with him.”

“Poor Kevin wouldn’t stand a chance,” Nick snickered.

“Isn’t that the point?” Morgan asked as she reached out and tickled my side. Looking into her eyes, I could see that she was happy. How could she be so unhappy and believe those things people say, but yet her eyes always have that sparkle? I rarely see her sad, and when I do, I know the reason behind it. She was really good at covering up the affect, the teasing, had on her.

“Yeah. Do you think it would work?” Nick questioned. “It seems…I don’t know…”

“O MY GOSH!” Morgan squealed. “I have the perfect idea! It’s totally fool proof and I am sure it will work! Here’s what we do…”
Chapter Twenty-Six by alota_cookin
I pushed the cart down the electronics aisle of Best Buy as Morgan read the backs of various different boxes. It was almost noon, now, and we were shopping for the things we needed to execute our plan. Nick gave us a credit card to buy everything that Morgan would need. She was the only one who could really pull this plan together but, on the other hand it wouldn’t work without everyone else’s help.

“Hey, Morgs, check out this computer! It’s really cool, we should get it, too,” I said admiring the pink Apple Notebook.

“I already have a computer,” she said, looking a me funny before turning back to the box, in her hand.

“But, it’s really outdated, Morgan.”

“We’ll just buy the programs we need and install them on your computer. That would be cheaper.”

“But why do that? You know that I’ll never use those programs again. You would, so you should be the one to have them.”

“Stop it Baylee,” she groaned as she turned the corner.

“FINE!” I called, smirking, as I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket. Flipping it open, I hit the speed dial to our house number.

“Hello?” Nick answered quickly.

“Hey, Nick. I was wondering…”

“What?”

“There’s this really cool laptop here…” I began. Morgan came around the corner and stopped in her tracks as she saw me on the phone, with a wide grin on my face.

“Well, is it something she needs? I told you to get whatever you needed, to do the project,” he sighed with a hint of irritation.

“See, the thing is…her computer is too outdated to do what we need but she insists that it would be cheaper to buy the programming and install it on my computer. However, you know I’ll never use the programs again, so I don’t see the point in doing it that way,” I explained to Nick.

“So get it for her.”

“Thanks, Nick. I needed your say on it because she would stand here and argue with me over it,” I grinned widely as she glared at me.

“Okay, see you later then.”

“Bye, Nick.” I closed my phone and stuck it back in my pocket. Crossing my arms, I leaned them on the handle of the cart and smiled at her. “Guess what, Morgs.”

“I’m outnumbered,” she let out a knowing sigh. Giving me the evil glare, she reluctantly picked up the laptop box and examined it, before placing it in the cart. After Morgan found everything we needed, I tossed in a few movies and some music. Lisa picked us up and took us to their apartment, where the three of us unloaded all of the new equipment.

“So where do we start?” I asked as I looked around at all the boxes of equipment, on her bedroom floor.

“With the computer, Baylee,” she snickered with a roll of her eyes. Can you believe, it took us almost three hours to get everything unpacked and set up?!?! Who knew this would take so long? Once it was all set up, we grabbed a bag and exited her apartment.

“Who do we start with?” I asked, as we descended the stairs of the apartment building.

“Um, let’s start with Mason. After him, we’ll do you, Nick, Howie and AJ…then we’ll go from there.”

“Sounds good. Let’s go.”

We spent the last two days, before school started, getting things ready. It was the night before we went back to school and we were trying to get the project finished. Morgan sat on her bed, computer on her lap, typing and clicking away. I sat next to her, back against the headboard and head on her shoulder.

“See? You just click this and drag it into the other window…then…you drop it onto the other graphic. See?” I stared blankly at the screen as I watched her work. This was all a bit confusing to me. I’m not a computer dummy but I had no clue about any of the programs she was using.

“I’m lost,” I confessed, lifting my head briefly. Morgan giggled, glancing down at me.

“It’s not really that hard, it takes practice, just like football.”

“This is nothing like football, Morgan. Football doesn’t take much brain, this…well, this takes some serious intellect,” I chuckled. I sat up and took a long drink from my bottle of water, and then I laid down on the bed, next to her.

“Football just takes a different kind of intellect, Baylee. You’re smart,” she smiled, ruffling my hair. I shifted to my side, propping up my elbow and resting my head in my hand.

“Not nearly as smart as you are, Morgs.” It was the truth, she totally had me beat in the brain area. Of course, her cheeks were now flushed, which cause me to grin. “Are you almost done? It’s pushing midnight, already.”

“Yeah, just the finishing touches. Nick and AJ hijacked Kevin, today, right?”

“Yep, he’s at our place, tied, bound, and gagged,” I laughed loudly. “I really hope this works.”

“I’m sure it will, Baylee. Let’s go. It’s done,” she grabbed my hand and pulled me off the bed. We, practically, ran all the way to my house. We huffed as we barged through the door.

“WE GOT IT!” I screamed as we rounded the corner. Nick, Howie, AJ, and Mason came charging into the room and we all surrounded Kevin, who was tied to a chair in the middle of the room. Morgan put our plan into action. Kevin had no choice but to watch, as Mason’s face flashed onto the TV.

“Dad. I don’t really hate you but I DO hate what you have become…”

“We miss the old Kevin…” a blonde fan’s face flashed across the screen.

“You’re killing us Kevin…” Aj’s raspy voice spoke as various pictures, from when the Backstreet Boys were first formed, scrolled over the TV.

“There are so many people who…” Nick’s blue eyes were seen next.

“…look up to you…” my own face came next.

“…and support you.” Howie was next.

“We love you.” Kevin’s eyes popped out of his head as my dad’s face came to the screen. Morgan was able to edit out clips, from old videos, this one happened to be from an interview where my dad was talking to the fans. But, his voice was so sincere and I could see that Kevin’s eyes were starting to tear.

“You need help.” another fan’s face, I think her name was Julia, showed a deep concern. The next shot showed a huge crowd of fans.

“WE MISS YOU!” they all screamed.

“You’re not the same…” Mason’s voice backed a photo of him with both of his parents.

“…but there’s still a way…” I saw my own face again.

“…to change things…” Nick’s voice spoke softly. More family pictures covered the TV screen.

“…and set things straight…” AJ’s face appeared, with tears evident in his eyes.

“…the way they should be.” Howie’s voice finished the sentence, as more pictures scrolled.

“Can’t you see…” the next shot was of the fan who threatened Kevin. Her name was Lenni and she was actually the one who rounded up all the other fans that appeared in the video. Evidently they have some kind of fan website, or something.

“…EVERYBODY!” this shot was of my dad, from their old music video.

“…is only…” this girls name was Mare…everyone kept calling her the queen of something. I was curious, but we didn’t have much time to ask questions.

“…trying to help you.” My voice concluded the thought.

“You’ll never know…” Nick’s appeared, backed by some of the fans.

“…how much…” two girls, both named Kelly, shouted from behind Nick.

“…you impact…” Mason walked up and stood next to Nick.

“But, this isn’t about us…” my voice accompanied my face. But the shot included Mason and Nick.

“…this is about…” a fan named Steph spoke, then the smaller group of fans behind her chimed in.

“YOU!” they shouted.

“We care, Kevin…” Nick walked through the center of the small group of girls.

“…even if you don’t.” AJ joined Nick in front of the fans. The screen cut over to another collage of photos with Mason, Kevin, and Kristin. One at a time, bad photos covered the TV. Each one depicted Kevin at his worst. When he was drugged up, passed out, screaming, or just plain unhappy.

“Look at yourself.” Howie’s voice came across soft and gentle as more photos of Kevin appeared. Next, the screen glazed over with shots of newspaper clippings of famous people who died from drug overdose. Pictures of addicted teens and adults adorned the TV along with an occasional clip from a news broadcast.

“Is this what you want to be?” Nick’s face came onto the screen, but other photos flashed behind his head.

“Mom’s gone, dad…” Mason’s voice cracked as tears filled his eyes.

“…and you’re pushing us away…” the four of us chimed together.

“Is it worth loosing your…” Mason’s stuttered as tears rolled down his cheeks.

“…family…” my dad’s face returned to the screen.

“…your friends…” AJ’s raspy voice cut through, followed by a huge group of fans.

“…your fans, just for a high?”

“If you keep going down this path…” my voice was accompanied by old family video clips.

“…you’ll die…” Nick’s voice took over as the clips switched to those of their old performances. Howie’s voice was the next to take over…

“…and unhappy, lonely, miserable man.”

“Think about it…” Mason’s face filled the screen before it cut out to a wide shot. The new shot covered the group of fans and the five of us guys.

“We’re ready to help, when you’re ready to accept it!” we all chimed together.

“Please…” Rose, one of the fans by Nick, pleaded.

“...let...” Ashley, a fan, standing by Howie, continued.

“…us…” two girls, both named Amy, chimed in.

“…help…” my dad’s face cut in before being replaced by Nick, Howie, AJ, Mason and I.

“…you.” I smiled as the screen went black. Morgan did a great job, with the whole video. I did a double take as the screen flashed again, settling on Morgan’s desk chair. We saw her walk around the camera and sit in the chair.

“Kevin,” she sighed. “I know I’m not really family, and you don’t know me well, but I have to say something. Cut the crap, Kevin.” Morgan leaned forward, closer to the camera. “You and I both know that you aren’t happy. You know you need help. Forget about your ego and throw your stupid pride out the window because, believe it or not, it doesn’t make you any more of a man…it makes you less of one. Suck it up and get help!”

I smiled at Morgan, enclosing her into a tight hug. I kept my arm around her as we all looked down at Kevin. AJ slowly reached down and slipped the gag off Kevin’s mouth. All of us stood there, waiting…waiting for some kind of reaction from the older man. I tightened my grip on Morgan, as she laid her head on my shoulder.
Chapter Twenty-Seven by alota_cookin
August 8, 2005

Journal-

The past few weeks have been very hectic. I have been relentlessly trying to get through to Kevin, but have had no luck. Each night I spend time, on my knees, praying for him. My greatest fear is that no one will be able to get through to him and he will overdose or something and wind up dead. What am I to do? Is there anything more I can do? Nick and I spent a few hours discussing the possibilities, of what to do.

On a side note, I can’t believe how much Nick has grown. I mean, one second, I am thinking that he is an adopted son and, the next, I see him in a completely different light. I’m proud of him. I have no doubts, anymore, about putting him in the will.

Back to Kevin…I am loosing my mind, trying to sort things out. When did things go wrong? How did I miss it? None of the family believes me, by the way. Not that I expected them to. Kevin has always been a golden boy. HA! I am so frustrated, that I am having a hard time venting my feelings, even on paper. How often does that happen?!?

So…I guess I am off to bed, for another fitful night of sleep.

-B.T.L.


“You’ve become pretty attached to that journal, haven’t you?” Morgan crawled up, next to me, on my bed. We had left Kevin, tied up, in front of the TV. Morgan had put the recording on a continuous loop….sure, it was cruel, but maybe it would penetrate his thick skull.

“Yeah,” I nodded, closing the book. “It’s my dad.” I shrugged, as I let her see the journal.

“I’m glad you found it, Baylee. I think it has been helping you,” she leaned against me, running her fingers over the leather binding.

“Yeah. It has helped the guys out some, too. Uh, can you believe school starts in the morning? You know what that means, don’t you?”

“Eeew, Baylee, please don’t tell me that you are already getting excited about…” she rolled her eyes as I cut her off.

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I am looking forward to basketball and you should try out for cheerleading. You know you would make the team,” I snickered, nudging her with my elbow.

“Yeah, of course I would, because I am Baylee Littrell’s best friend. That is exactly why I don’t bother.”

“Whatever. We have a dance coming up, too, ya know,” I smiled as I got up and walked towards her.

“Oh no. NO! Not gonna happen. You know I don’t go to those things,” she shook her head furiously.

“You say that every time and, yet, you always end up going with me and Sean.”

“We better go check on Kevin,” she blurted, turning to the door. Before I had the chance to say anything, she was headed down the stairs. Of course, I followed her. As I reached the bottom landing, I saw Morgan watching Kevin from the doorway.

“What have I done?!?” I heard Kevin speaking softly, as I approached Morgan. I snuck up and stood behind her, slinking my arms around her waist, I rested my chin on her shoulder. Kevin’s sobs were quiet, but audible. “Dear Lord, how could I be so dumb? I’ve ruined everything! I miss Kris so badly…and it’s, all, my fault. It’s all my fault.”

“I think it’s working,” I whispered. Both of us, looking through the corner of our eyes, met each other’s gaze. We turned our attention back to Kevin. We had to strain our ears, to understand him, since he was talking so quietly.

“Oh, God, I killed my wife!” his shoulders were shaking violently as his cries got a little louder. “I don’t deserve to live. I’m a horrible person! Please, oh please, dear God. I’m so sorry. I never meant it before, I was so dumb, but now I do.”

“Morgs,” I went to grab her arm, but she had already pulled away. She crouched behind Kevin and silently started to untie him. He jumped, feeling her tug at the ropes. She went around to the front of him and turned off the TV.

“Morgan! Oh Morgan,” Kevin stood and, practically, fell into her arms. I snickered at the look on her face. “What am I going to do?!? I have screwed everything up!” Alright, Morgan knew what she was doing. It was her idea to leave him in front of that TV for over five hours, watching the endless loop. Obviously, the man had cracked!

“Shhh, it’s okay, Kevin,” she rubbed his back as he cried like a baby. I was rather amazed at the display of emotion, from him. Morgan looked at me with a distressed look, on her face. The poor girl didn’t know what to do, now. Looking at my watch, I saw that it was almost 3am.

“Looks, to me, like you will be skipping school,” Nick’s voice floated, into my ear, causing me to jump. Kevin whipped around, furiously trying to wipe the tears from his eyes. He straightened up and cleared his throat, in effort to hide his break down.

“So,” I stepped forward, looking Kevin square in the eyes. Kevin’s eyes drifted down to the floor as the blush, of embarrassment, crept to his cheeks.

“Don’t, Baylee,” Morgan stepped around Kevin and came to my side. Resting a hand on my shoulder, she sighed, “no more harsh words. If he isn’t sincere, this time around, then nothing can get through to him. Okay? Just…be nice.”

“I need some time,” Kevin’s voice cracked as he headed towards the door. Morgan, Nick and I just watched him leave. The room was silent for a long while, all of us staring at the closed door.

“What now?” AJ asked, as he sauntered into the room. “Do you think that was a good kind of ‘I need some time’ or a ‘I need to get stoned’ kind of ‘I need some time’?”

“Let’s hope for the good kind,” Morgan sighed.

“Right, but for now,” Nick cut in and looked at me and Morgan. “Off to bed, the both of you.”

“Alright,” I nodded, just as I broke out into a large yawn. “Let’s go Morgs.”

“Right behind you, Bay,” she nodded and we both left the room. Heading up the stairs, we remained quiet. I gave her a hug and we said our good nights, before heading in to our separate rooms. I sighed heavily, as I stretched out on my bed.

“God? Dad?” I whispered into the, now dark and empty, room. “If you guys can hear me, please help us out, down here. We are trying, so hard, to help Kevin and we are so worried. Please help him. I think Morgan’s little movie helped, but we need a little more than that. So, if you guys can give him a push, we’d appreciate it. Oh, and dad, I really miss you. Tell mom and Aunt Kris that I miss them, too. Good night and Amen.”

Okay, so I sounded a bit dorky, but…knock knock. A soft rapping, on my door, broke me from my thoughts. It wasn’t much of a surprise that it was Morgan who stood on the other side.

“Did I wake you? I can’t sleep,” she whispered, as I pulled her into my room. We both squinted at the bright light that spilled from the ceiling, as I flipped the light switch.

“Nah, don’t worry. I can’t sleep either,” I gave her a small smile as we sat, next to each other, on my bed. It’s kind of funny, how much better I felt, now that she was there. She keeps me from going out of my mind, sometimes!
Chapter Twenty-Eight by alota_cookin
August 12, 2005

Journal-

Okay, I love my wife, I really do! But I am irritated with her right now. See, she has been making and trying to sell these purses that she designed. First of all, between you and me, they’re ugly. I hate to say it, but being rich does NOT, necessarily, mean you have good taste or sense of style! Naturally, I don’t tell her how ugly I think they are, but I haven’t told her they were pretty either. I feel, kind of bad, but it’s bugging me because her little website says something like ‘Help support Brian’ or ‘Show Brian how much you love him’ or something like that. She even makes a comment about how any Backstreet fan would love to have one. WHAT IS THAT?!?

Here, all this time, I thought that I was the one supporting this family…not her and her ugly little purses! I feel about an inch tall, right now. I work my butt of and she’s talking like she’s the one who supports us! THEN, on top of that, no…not every Backstreet fan is going to want or love to have one. Sure, some might…and some might buy them just because it’s my wife who makes them, but she was all upset because she isn’t getting the amount of orders that she wanted!

Like I said…I love my wife. She just drives me bonkers, sometimes.

On a better note, Baylee and I walked to the park today. He absolutely loves going down the big metal slide. He must have gone down it 30 times or more! I let him run around for a good hour and a half before we went to get slushies. His favorite is grape and he always makes a mess of himself. I, on the other hand, always get lemon or raspberry…sometimes I get cherry though.

Anyways, Baylee’s tongue was purple for the rest of the afternoon and he kept saying “daddy’s tongue blue!” Have I mentioned how much I love the little boy? I never knew it was even possible for love to run that deep, but the moment I laid eyes on him…he’s my little man.

Well, I guess that’s about it, for tonight. I hear Baylee coming down the hall, so ‘Good Night’.

-B.T.L.


I smiled to myself, as I finished reading the entry. Looking next to me, I saw that Morgan was, now, sound asleep and cuddling my pillow. I snickered and shook my head, as I pulled the covers up and over her. I set the journal on the night table and, quietly, left the room, turning out the light. I made my way down to her room and curled into the bed. It didn’t take me long, to drift off to sleep.

Morning came all too quickly, and it was back to school. Morgan and I agreed to skip the run, due to all the drama from the night before. School was pretty uneventful. Morgan and I went off campus for lunch and ate at a little deli a block from the school. Maricio’s always has pretty good food. Morgan likes their chicken cherry salad and I usually get a small caesar salad and a grilled chicken sandwich. The rest of the day dragged on and it seemed like weeks, before the last bell rang.

“So, about Kevin,” she broke the silence, as we made our walk back to my house. We were about half-way and had been pretty quiet. It wasn’t one of those weird silences…we were just too tired.

“Uuuuuh, I don’t even want to think about it,” I groaned, tilting my head to the side. “He is seriously stressing me out and I am too young to be this stressed!”

“Tell me about it! I can’t even imagine the stress that poor Mason is feeling!” Nick had insisted that Mason ride the bus because he was so young. He said that he trusted me and Morgan, but would rather not put the responsibility on us, of having to watch him on the walk home.

“I know. I remember the stress, I felt, when I lost my parents. Hopefully things will straighten out soon,” I sighed as we walked up the driveway. We made our way into the house and to the kitchen. I fixed us up a bowl of natural, lightly buttered popcorn and we headed into the living room to work on schoolwork.

“What shall we do first?” Morgan asked, as she popped open her can of soda and got situated on the couch. She sighed and took a long drink, from the can.

“Algebra? I didn’t get today’s lesson,” I rolled my eyes and flipped open my book. I sat on the floor and leaned, my back, against the couch. Morgan was pretty good at explaining things to me. If it weren’t for her, I would probably fail most of my classes. I try to pay attention, in school, but it seems so much easier when Morgan shows me.

“The quadratic equations?”

“Yeah…those,” I chuckled and let my head fall onto her knee. “I hate math.”

“Alright,” she got down onto the floor, next to me and flipped open her notebook. She began to write as she started on one of the problems. “Okay, a quadratic equation is an equation that involves second-degree polynomials. Um, like 7x squared minus 5x equals 0, would be a quadratic equation. Do you remember what a second degree polynomial is?”

“Isn’t that a polynomial that has one variable with an exponent to the second power?”

“Yeah but it can’t be any higher than the second power.”

“Right. Okay.”

“So then…” Alright, you see where this is headed…I get completely lost and Morgan ends up confusing herself. Now, we are both pulling out or curls. She kept saying that it made sense, but the more she tried to break it down, the more confusing it got. We fussed over this for almost two hours, before giving it up for our History assignment. Nick drove her home after dinner and I went to bed early. There had been no word from Kevin.

“Morning, Morgs,” I smiled, weakly, as I met her at the door. We weren’t going to be skipping the run today.

“Mornin’, Bay. How did you sleep?”

“Like a baby,” I chuckled as we began to power walk. Our day was pretty routine, nothing major happened. School sucked and homework sucked even more! As a matter of fact the next month was pretty uneventful. We were all worried about Kevin because we hadn’t heard from him, at all. No one knew where he was, but the house looked like he had packed for a trip.

“BAYLEE! BAYLEE!” Morgan came crashing, in, through the front door. It was, about, noon on a Saturday. “O my gosh Baylee! Turn on the TV…QUICK!”

“What’s going on?” I asked, as she ripped the remote from my hand. Her breathing hadn’t even begun to slow and she was rapidly pushing buttons on the remote. She finally got to the station she wanted, as it came off from commercial.

“Just wait,” Morgan instructed, as the person on TV rambled. “They said the story was coming up, after the break. It’ll be on in a second.”

“What, exactly, will be on?” I looked over at her, expecting an answer.

“Shhhhhh!” She waved her hand at me as she leaned forward, resting an elbow on her knee. She stared, intently, at the screen.

“In other news: former Backstreet Boy, Kevin Richardson, entered himself into rehab, about a month ago. Sources say, that his drug addiction had been present for many years, even as far back as 1995. Mr. Richardson released a short statement, earlier today, saying that his addiction has cost him a lot over the years and that he is, finally, realizing how badly he needs help. His treatment is, reportedly, progressing at a slow, but steady pace. Doctors, at the rehab facility, report that Richardson is making a true effort but complete rehabilitation will take a while. So, to Mr. Richardson, we all wish you the best. After the break we will discuss the story of a small girl…”

“O my God, Morgan! It worked! It really worked!” We both jumped around, with excitement.

“I guess you guys saw the news?” Nick chuckled, as he walked into the room.

“YES!” Morgan squealed, lunging into Nick’s arms, for a hug. I walked over and sandwiched her between me and Nick. All three of us looked up to see A.J. bounding through the door.

“Guess what I heard on the radio, as I drove home from the store!” he shouted, his eyes lit up like Christmas lights.

“Same thing I just watched on the local news?” Nick smirked.

“We should celebrate!” I smiled as we all basked in the joy, of the news.

“Guys, we should find out where he is. Don’t you think we should try to visit? Or send a card?” Morgan pointed out. Of course, we all nodded. Obviously, her plan had worked…she was, now, the leader of operation ‘Soberize Kevin’.

“Yes! Let’s call around,” Nick started towards his office, but was stopped by AJ.

“I think we should start with the place that I went to,” AJ lifted an eyebrow. That made sense. Kevin might go there because of how well they had treated AJ.

“Good idea. You call them,” Nick said, looking at AJ. “Baylee call Mason, he’s at Jeremy’s house, and tell him to come home. Morgan and I will start calling other rehab places. We’ll track him down and see if we can’t get in to visit.”

“Sounds good!” the three of us chimed, before picking up various phones and dialing numbers. I was so excited, that my hands were slightly shaking. Mason’s voice hit a pitch I had never heard before and was home within ten minutes. Finding out where Kevin was, was more difficult than any of us expected. Every place, we called, kept saying that they couldn’t release information as to whether or not a person was staying with them, in their facility.

“I’m exhausted,” Morgan collapsed on my bed. I did the same. We had, all, been on the phone all day and gotten nowhere. Mason was already sleeping and AJ was out, driving to each rehab facility, individually, trying to get information. Nick had headed into bed at the same time that Morgan, and I, headed into my room.

“Tell me about it,” I sighed.

“Okay, well, I ran my butt over here, around noon, and have been on the phone ever since,” she groaned.

“I didn’t mean for you to actually explain it, Morgan.”

“Then why did you tell me to tell you about it?”

“Smart aleck.”

“Good night Baylee. I’m crashing here,” she stated, heading toward my bedroom door.

“I, kind of, figured that you would stay here, tonight…it is late. Hey and thanks for all the help today, by the way, you know how much we appreciate it.”

“I know, but I was happy and more than willing…you know that.”

“Night, Morgy,” I smiled, before getting up to embrace her in a gentle hug.

“Night Bay.” With that, she was out the door and headed to her room. I crawled under my covers and, quickly, fell into a peaceful sleep. Kevin was on the road to recovery and hopefully we would have him back soon. Dreams swirled in my head, as I slept the best that I had in a long time. Things were, finally, looking up!
Chapter Twenty-Nine by alota_cookin
“FIGHT!…FIGHT!…FIGHT!…FIGHT!…FIGHT!” the crowd, outside the school was chanting. It was the next day, during lunch hour, and I had been late, in meeting Morgan.

“What is going on?” I questioned Laura, one of the football cheerleaders.

“Your little friend, Morgan, is in there fighting with Jason,” she giggled.

“WHAT?!?!” I pushed my way to the center of the crowd, just in time to see Jason’s fist connect with Morgan’s stomach. “STOP! What the heck are you doing?”

“Get off me, you loser,” Jason scowled as I pulled on his shoulders. He turned and punched me, in the face. I could, already, feel my eye starting to swell.

“Don’t you ever touch him!” Morgan screamed, jumping onto his back. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Mason, crying in the corner of the cafeteria.

“LET GO!” Jason shrugged her off and she fell to the floor. He was, immediately on top of her, punching her. I quickly grabbed him off and kicked him in his…‘manhood’. My head turned, hearing the sound of the principal coming, and Jason’s fist connected with my jaw. The blow knocked me to the ground.

“She started it!” Jason pointed to Morgan, as the principal and school counselor approached us.

“Tell me you didn’t,” I scrunched my eyebrows, looking at my best friend, not wanting to believe Jason’s accusation.

“That all depends on your definition of ‘started it’,” she huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and tilting her head.

“Did you, or did you not, throw the first punch Miss Smith?” the principal asked, as the counselor dispersed the crowd.

“Yes.”

“What?!?” my jaw dropped. I looked at Morgan, in shock. I couldn’t believe it! I never would have expected something, like this, out of her.

“It…it…it’s m…my…my fault,” Mason came up to us, trying to stop his tears. “He was…call…calling me names…and saying b…b…bad stuff about my dad…”

“He deserved what he got,” Morgan glared at Jason, shooting daggers at him with her eyes.

“As for you, Mr. Littrell?” the principal turned to me.

“I came up to see him punch her, so I stepped in and tried to pull him away and then he punched me…so…I fought back.” I shrugged my shoulders, still baffled by the entire situation.

“So, Mr. Collins, were you insulting, Mr. Richardson, here?”

“So what, if I was? She should still get expelled because she hit me!” Jason scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“Yes, well, all of you will be accompanying me to my office. I will need to call you parents…and guardians. Let’s go,” the principal led the way, out of the cafeteria and to his office. “Alright, while we are waiting, I expect a thorough explanation from each of you. Miss. Smith, we’ll start with you.”

“It’s simple really. I came into the cafeteria and saw Jason picking on Mason. I listened to what Jason was saying and told him to stop. He turned to me and started calling me all the names that he usually does. Well, I told him that if he didn’t stop, I was going to tell you. But, he kept going on about how horrible we were and how our families were scum and stuff…so I punched him.”

“Yeah…see? She punched me!”

“So are you saying that her story is accurate?” The principle raised an eyebrow, as did I. We all looked over at Jason.

“Uh…yeah,” he let out a laugh.

“Well, then, I have no choice but to expel you, Mr. Collins. That also means that you will, no longer, be able to participate in any sports or extracurricular activities,” the principal seemed just as shocked as we were that Jason admitted that Morgan was right.

“I’m sorry, Nick,” I hung my head as he drove us all home.

“Oh, I ain’t mad at ya,” Nick snickered. “I think you guys…well…you know that I’m against you guys getting into fights, but you were only sticking up for each other. So, I understand the motive behind it. However, you will have to be grounded for the rest of the night, because you were fighting in school, Baylee.”

“The rest of the night? I was expecting more than that…like a couple months!” I looked over at him, with wide eyes.

“Well, like I said, you were sticking up for each other. I wouldn’t expect you to stand there and watch that little punk beat on Morgan…and I sure would expect you to let him beat on you, either. It was more self defense, than anything. Besides, if you wanna go by the law…you had every right to step in and beat Jason.”

“I did?”

“He did?” Mason and Morgan chimed, at the same time as I did.

“Yes, because Jason is a guy and he was beating on a woman. Women are, generally, less able to fight back against a man because men are, typically, bigger and stronger. Thus, if you beat Jason and he didn’t even touch you…you still wouldn’t get in trouble, with the law, because you were defending a woman. Understand? That’s why I can’t see it being fair to punish you, for something the law wouldn’t. However, I feel that you need to take the rest of the night to think about other ways you could have handled the situation.”

“Wow. How’d you know that stuff?” I looked at him, with a bit of surprise.

“Let’s just say that there have been situations, in the past, that required me to acquire that knowledge,” he chuckled. He smiled, over his shoulder, at Morgan. Her mom wasn’t able to come to the school because she was working, but the principal had spoken to her, when he called, and she said to send Morgan home with us.

“Are we gonna be allowed to do our schoolwork together…or is that part of the grounding?” I asked, cautiously. We were sent home from school, for the day, with our class work, from the subjects we would be missing. The principal said that we were allowed to return to school the next day, if we felt up to it.

“I’m hungry,” I moaned, “we didn’t even get to eat lunch.”

“Yeah, and we were having corn dogs with fries today, too,” Morgan sighed.

“Alright, we’ll stop at McDonald’s…just don’t go thinking that it’s a reward or anything,” Nick laughed as he switched lanes, to pull into the parking lot. We went through the drive-up because, let’s face it, Morgan and I looked like total CRAP-O-LA!

“Alright, here’s how it’s going to work,” Nick started, as we filed into the house. “You guys can sit down, eat, and put some ice on those battle wounds, of yours. After you’re all done eating, you may work on school work. BUT…you are only allowed to work together for the time that you would, normally, be in school. Once school hours are over…Morgan goes home. Got it?”

“Sounds fair to me,” Morgan nodded, applying ice to her left eye. Both of her eyes were bruised, as was her right cheek, and stomach. She had a split lip and her ribs were hurting her, pretty bad. “I think Mason should sit with us too, we might be able to help him, if he gets stuck on something.”

“Really? You guys would help me?” Mason sat up straight, and looked from her to me.

“Of course, Mason,” I laughed, “all you ever have to do, is ask.” I leaned my head back and put a Ziploc bag, of ice, over my whole face. I, too, had two black eyes. I also had a swollen lip, a gash on my forehead, and some other scattered bruises.

We finished our lunches and went right in to the living room, to start on school work. Just as Nick had warned us, at 3:10 he took Morgan home. It kind of sucked that she had to go home, but we had been able to get all our work done…so that was good. I ate dinner with Nick and Mason, and then went up to my room. After watching TV for a little while, I turned in early with ice over my face. Man, was I thankful to whoever invented Advil!
Chapter Thirty by alota_cookin
“You look like you got hit by a train,” I snickered, as I met Morgan on the front lawn. Neither of us was excited about our run, but we were pushing ourselves to do it anyways.

“I feel like it, too. He got me pretty good,” she sighed, stretching out her legs.

“Yeah, well, you never were the greatest fighter.”

“If it weren’t for Nick forcing me to take those self defense classes with you, I wouldn’t have done as well as I did.”

“Which still wasn’t good.”

“I know, Baylee, geesh.” She rolled her eyes, at me, dramatically. “How about you tell me how good, of a try, it was?”

“You did try…I got to give you credit for that,” I laughed as we began to jog.

“I doubt, that I will ever try again, though. I can’t fight well and, now, I feel like crap!” Her comment cracked me up as we hit our full running pace.

“I appreciate you standing up for Mason, though.”

“Well, I’m just happy that I didn’t get expelled. Mom would have killed me! Chopped off my head!”

“No. She’d do what Nick does…ground us from each other,” I chuckled. It was true. There have been many times that Nick will just get fed up and yell, ‘That’s it! You’re not allowed to see Morgan, outside of school for two weeks.’ Let me tell you, it works! Morgan and I are like…I don’t know…football and cheerleaders; you can’t have one without the other.

“O my gosh, Bay Bay!” Morgan came rushing up to me, after second hour History. I was shoving books into my locker, when she finally reached me.

“What?” I turned, from my locker, to her.

“Jenny told Leila, who told Mark, who heard it from Carrie, who…”

“Out with it, already,” I snickered, cutting her off.

“Christina said that Mrs. Perkins is giving pop quizzes in Government this afternoon! O my gosh, I am so not prepared for a pop quiz, Baylee.” Morgan was panicking…again…which she shouldn’t because she is so good…at everything…well…everything to do with schoolwork, I mean. Have I ever mentioned that she’s a brain?

“That’s it?” I raised an eyebrow, tilting my head to the side.

“That’s it?!? That’s it?!?” her eyes were bugging, as if her world were crashing down around her. “You have to help me study, in home room, this hour.”

“Whoa.” I chuckled as I slammed my locker and we began making our way to home room. “You’re the brain Morgan, and in case you forgot…I’m the dumb jock. You should be helping me study.”

“I’m serious Baylee! I can’t fail this quiz!”

“Of course not!” I rolled my eyes, again, and opened the classroom door for her. “We wouldn’t want you to loose that plus after you’re A.” Morgan looked at me funny, before taking her seat. I sighed loudly and slipped into my own seat, right next to hers. “I was kidding Morgan. You know that we always study together.”

“It’s cool, whatever,” she shrugged. I opened my mouth to continue, but was interrupted by the last bell.

“Attention! Everyone settle down!” Mr. Huffman called. I took one last glance at Morgan before returning my attention to the front, of the class. After about 15 minutes, we were turned to doing our studies.

“Come on Morgan, you know I was just giving you a hard time. I just thought it was funny how you worded it, is all.”

“Oh yeah? And, tell me, what was so funny about it? Huh?” Okay, was it just me, or did she sound really mad at me? She never gets mad at me!

“You said that I needed to help you study. I’m a jock…I can’t even help myself study!” I laughed, trying to lighten her mood. I was beginning to wonder what her issue was, today. Maybe she got into a fight with her mom? No…she was fine on our run, so that couldn’t be it.

“Yeah well…you’re the one who quizzes me…and that classifies as helping me study,” she huffed, crossing her arms. Morgan huffed…at me! ME!

“Quit being like this, Morgan,” I sighed, pulling out the flashcards she had made. “Now, what is the first amendment to the constitution?” Morgan finally came out of her mood and studied with me. Just like I figured, she aced the quiz later in the afternoon. Since government is our last class, she spent the whole day worrying about the stupid quiz!

“I am so glad that’s over!” She sighed, leaning up against the locker, next to mine.

“Yeah, now you can quit freaking over it,” I snickered, tossing my books into my backpack. I reached up and grabbed my binder, before slamming the locker shut.

“I wasn’t freaking out, Baylee. I just…you know…wanted to do well.” Slinging her own backpack over her shoulder, she lost grip of the things in her hands. Papers and books spilled over the floor, causing her to huff, out of frustration.

“Yeah and you always do.” I glanced up at her, as I helped to gather her scattered items. She has a tendency to be a bit of a klutz. She doesn’t mean to be and she gets quite agitated with herself over it, but it’s like she can’t help it, or something.

“Hey now, you do well, too. You almost got all A’s on your last report card.” We stood up and I handed her back the things that I had picked up. She smiled warmly as we made our way down the hall and exited the school’s front doors.

“Compared to someone else I know, who cried half the night because one of her A’s didn’t have a plus after it?”

“Yeah well, I have extra time to study. You don’t because of your extracurricular…”

“Hey guys!” Sean interrupted her, as he came running up behind us. Sean only shared a few classes with me and Morgan, and he was always late getting out, because his last class was band. He takes that tuba, of his, pretty seriously!

“How’s that tuba?” I asked, nodding my head to large case that he was carrying.

“Dude, Miss Laura is making us play some dumb old song for our next concert. It’s like from a stupid old movie called Star Wars or something, like that. Tsh, she is so lame, sometimes!”

“Lame?!?” Morgan piped back up, “Star Wars isn’t lame! It’s like…classic!” She looked at Sean as if he had lost his mind and held her hands up, in front of her, dramatically.

“GEEK!” Sean and I shouted, before bursting into laughter.

“That’s not nice! You guys are supposed to be my friends!”

“We are,” Sean slung his arm over her shoulder, hugging her to him.

“Yeah, Morgs…you’re our geek!” I smiled, nudging her with my elbow. We called her ‘our geek’ sometimes, just to play around with her…

“Tsh…JOCKS.” …and that would be her usual response.

“Yeah,” I grinned, “but we’re your jocks!”

“Wooo! Lucky me!” she rolled her eyes, like usual, a smile creeping up on her lips. She shoved Sean’s shoulder and then brought her foot up behind, to kick my butt.

“Oh yeah, we’re like that cool old movie, She’s All That,” Sean nodded, causing Morgan to stop, in her tracks, trying to control her laughter. Alright…this wasn’t part of the usual conversation and I wasn’t, entirely, sure where he was going with it.

“You are not serious! You’re calling me a geek because I like the classic Star Wars but yet, you’re calling She’s All That cool?!? Why do I even associate myself with you?” She shook her head and walked up, ahead of us.

“That movie was lame, dude,” I snickered.

“But think about it…the jocks transform the geek into a total hottie! We could so do that with Morgan!”

“You think?” I lifted an eyebrow at Sean; the man might just have a good point. Morgan stopped and whipped around to face us.

“NO! No no no no no…you are not…NO! Are you crazy mad?!? Have you lost your puny little dumb jock minds?!?” her eyes widened as she continued to protest the idea.

“Well?” Sean shrugged.

“It could work…release your inner hottie, Morgan,” I gave her a lopsided grin. Her jaw dropped. She turned back and started walking.

“Why do I even bother with those two? Are they insane?” She shook her head, talking to herself and walking ahead of us. “This is absurd! Why, even the thought! My inner hottie?!? What is that anyways?”

“Don’t fight it Morgy baby!” Sean called, jogging up to her side. “We could do the makeover in time for the next dance! Then all the guys would like…stop…and stare! You could be the next prom queeeeeeeen!”

“Sean, we’re freshman we don’t even go to prom!”

“We could take you to get your hair dooooooone…” I wiggled my eyebrows, as the three of us, headed into my house.

“I’m ignoring yooooooooou!” she huffed, plopping onto the couch.

“Hey kiddies!” AJ smiled, coming in, from the back yard.

“Hey, AJ. Don’t you think Morgan has an inner hottie, just waiting to be released?” Sean questioned, slouching beside Morgan, on the couch. She let out a dramatic sigh, as Sean slung his arm around her.

“All women have an inner hottie,” AJ smirked, “even if they don’t want to admit it or let anyone see it…all women have an inner hottie!” He smiled and headed, past us, towards the kitchen.

“Can we just study?” Morgan pulled out a book, from her bag.

“Yeah,” I nodded, sitting by her other side. “We’ve harassed you enough. You know we love ya though!”

“Unfortunately, for me, I love you dumb boneheaded jocks, too,” she sighed and gave us each a peck on the cheek. Yep, we are definitely an odd bunch! Like pickles on your peanut butter and jelly…everyone says ‘eeew’, but in reality, they fit together perfectly!
Chapter Thirty-One by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Thanks you to everyone who has been reading along, I am glad that you all seem to be enjoying the story! A special thanks to those of you who have left me feedback...you know who you are! *muah* I love you all.
November 26, 2005

Dear Journal-

I CAN’T BELIEVE MY BOY IS 3!!!!!

We had a great party too! All the guys came with their girlfriends. Denise was there, too. All of my family, as well as Leighanne’s family, attended. There were people EVERYWHERE! Nick helped me out with the barbeque…we had burgers, hot dogs and steaks on the grill. Leighanne made her potato salad and almost everyone brought a dish to pass. It was great and the food was amazing! A family friend made Baylee a train cake and we had lots of ice cream, too.

Needless to say, Baylee got SPOILED beyond belief!!! That little boy has more stuff than he’ll EVER be able to play with! Uncle Howie got him a crap load of Play-Dough with all the accessories. Uncle Nick gave him a Little Tykes basketball hoop (there’s a surprise…not), a video game system with games, and one of those Leap Pads with, like five or six books for it…oh and he went half and half with AJ on a Power Wheels truck.. Uncle Kevin bought him clothes, a ball cap, and a plastic baseball bat with ball. Uncle Harold got him a tricycle, some books, and a big stuffed Daffy Duck. Grandma and Grandpa L got him clothes, books, and shoes. Grandma and Grandpa W. gave him a bowling set and a bubble mower. Denise got him a fleece train blanket, a few books, some of those big Lego type building blocks. Uncle AJ went a little overboard…I think his shopping habit got the best of him, not that any of us were surprised! He bought 6 hats (Why 6, I’m not sure), 4 pair of sunglasses (I should have expected this), a few outfits, swimming trunks, a movie, some pool toys, and he went in with Nick on that PW truck. Nick and AJ outdid everyone except for me and Leighanne.

Okay…my hand is cramping…no more gift list…it’s all written down in his baby book anyways. Believe me, Leighanne has a very detailed and itemized list of exactly what each person got for him! I’m just glad that I didn’t have to do all that writing! The most important thing is that Baylee had a BLAST! Nick and AJ chased him all over the place, teaching him how to drive the truck, and then they got on their knees to play basketball and baseball with him! Everyone spent the afternoon eating and watching those three. Sure everyone jumped in, here and there, to play with Baylee or read him a story, but Nick and AJ were on his heels all day. It was pretty amusing to see AJ join in the festivities…you’d swear that he acted like a kid all the time. It kind of makes me wonder if Nick put something in AJ’s drink. I’ll have to look into that possibility!

Okay…I can’t write anymore and it’s been a long day, so I am off to bed.

-Brian Thomas Littrell


“Psst…hey,” Morgan’s voice brought me back to reality, as she slowly opened my window. She has climbed through my window a million times and I’d say, about, 50 percent of the time she did what she did tonight. I couldn’t help but snicker as I watched her tumble to the floor, ripping the hem of her shirt that had gotten caught.

“Morgan,” I knelt down beside her, helping her sit up. “We have got to work on your grace.” A deep red flushed to her cheeks, as she stood and tried to straighten her torn shirt. “Here, you can borrow my jersey.”

“Thanks, Baylee.” She gave me a weak smile, before turning towards the bathroom. She came out a few minutes later, wearing my school jersey and carrying her torn shirt. She tossed it in the waste basket, before plopping onto my bed.

“I’m surprised to see you here so late,” I sat next to her. The clock read 8:23…there was only 37 minutes left before our usual bedtime.

“We totally did our Algebra wrong and we have got to fix it!”

“O my gosh, Morgan, that’s it? I thought something was wrong!” I sighed, lying back, on my bed.

“Seriously, Bay, we’re going to get the whole assignment wrong because our first answer doesn’t satisfy both equations, so we miscalculated the system of equations and that means that the simultaneous solution is wrong, so the intercept method is out of whack which, in turn, means the set of coordinating axes in our graphing isn’t going to be right.” She paced the floor with wide eyes, waving her hands in the air.

“Morgan,” I tilted my head, looking up at her. “Go home and go to bed. We can go over this in home room, tomorrow.”

“This is serious, Baylee, don’t blow me off!” She turned to look at me. Her face looked as if she thought I didn’t believe her, or something.

“I know, Morgan. I’m not trying to blow you off, but it is time for us to get into bed. We do get up at 4 am, you know. Besides, you know this stuff confuses me and you have to spend a lot of time explaining it. We have home room, right, before Algebra…we can work on it then.”

“Fine,” she sighed, heading back over to the window. I stood, walking up behind her. I wrapped my arms around her, and pulled her into a hug.

“Good night, Morgy,” I rested my chin on her shoulder, for a moment, before letting go of her. “Sleep good. I promise to focus in home room, okay?”

“Okay, good night,” she nodded slightly, re-opening the window. I watched her climb down the tree. After seeing that she reached the ground safely, I took of my shirt and climbed into bed.

Sleep overcame me, quickly, and before I knew it, it was morning. My alarm screeched, making me jump. Rubbing my eyes, I hit the snooze button and covered my head with my pillow. That was a mistake because I woke up, 15 minutes later, to Morgan jumping on my bed.

“Wakie wakie, Baylee!” She wildly pounced around, then plopped onto my, unsuspecting, stomach.

“Ugh! Get off me! I’m trying to sleep,” I groaned, wrapping my arm around her waist. I rolled over, pulling her off me and causing her to lie next to me. I snuggled my head into her shoulder. Throwing my leg over hers, and keeping my arm around her waist, I tried to keep her from getting up. Honestly, I was NOT in the mood for our run…I just wanted to sleep for another hour.

“Baylee?” I heard a faint whisper in my ear, but I made no attempt to open my eyes.

“Hmmm?”

“You gotta get up, we have to get ready for school,” I knew it was Morgan’s voice floating into my ears. I slowly opened my eyes, to see her sitting on the edge of my bed. I groaned, stretching my arms, over my head.

“You went on the run by yourself?” I raised an eyebrow, after seeing that she was drenched in sweat. An immediate sense of guilt washed over me.

“Yeah, you were pretty beat. You fell asleep, using me as a pillow,” she giggled lightly, standing up.

“I’m sorry, Morgs. You should have just rolled me onto the floor,” I sat up, rubbing, the sleep from, my eyes. “I would have gotten up.”

“Blah, blah, blah. Just get up and get ready for school.” She smiled, before leaving my room.

I groaned, slipping out of my bed and heading into the bathroom. Making my shower quick, I got myself ready and met Morgan downstairs. I smiled, when I saw her.

“Look at the new outfit, that momma got for me!” Her smiled lit up her face, as she twirled around in a circle.

“Wow, Morgan, that’s really cute! I like that shade of yellow, it looks good on you.” I opened the door for her and we headed towards school.

“Yeah, at first I wasn’t too sure about the skirt, but I like how it’s real flowy like,” she giggled. Morgan is not really the type to wear skirts, but the soft yellow lace was, actually, very casual looking. It was paired with a matching tank top and flip-flops…it looked nice.

“Well, it looks very nice, Morgan,” I smiled as we approached Sean’s street.

“Holy hell! Who is this, Baylee? And, where is Morgan? Doesn’t she still walk with us in the morning?” Sean jogged up to us and grabbed Morgan into a hug.

“Shut-up, Sean!”

“If it weren’t for that messy bun, that you have your hair in, I wouldn’t have known it was you.”

“Stop it. I don’t look any different, besides the skirt.” Her cheeks flamed, as Sean and I, each, slung an arm around her. We walked, all the way, to school with her sandwiched between us.

I stuck pretty close, to her, all day because I was afraid someone would try to destroy her outfit or something. I am glad Jason was still expelled…I knew he would have found a way to stain it or rip it. Some of the kids, in our school, are really mean to those they classify as the ‘outcasts’. Morgan falls into that ‘outcast’ category but they never seem to bother her, if I am around. I’m not sure what it is…I mean, I know that I’m popular and on the football and basketball teams but, I guess, I don’t understand what everyone has against Morgan. Sure, she’s a brain instead of a rah-rah but that shouldn’t automatically make her a target…then again, I guess, maybe people are actually jealous of her. After all, looks can only get you so far, right?

Anyways, the day slipped by without much event. As promised, I paid close attention, during homeroom. Morgan was right…we did do our homework all wrong, but, we got it fixed in time for Algebra class. Soon we were back to my place and we did our homework.

“Hey guys!” Mason came rushing into the living room, just as Morgan and I finished up our school work.

“What’s up?” I closed my books, shoved it into my bag, and looked up to my cousin.

“Since it is Friday, Nick and AJ are taking the three of us out!”

“Really?” Morgan smiled widely, looking from him, to me and back to him.

“Yeah…karaoke and pizza!” Mason laughed, before running off, to get ready.

“Sweet! Friday is 90’s night!” I jumped to my feet and pulled Morgan to hers.

“You do realize that we are going to, have to, do a Backstreet Boys song,” she giggled.

“We always do!” I smiled, as we climbed the stairs and headed into my room. “Which one should we do, tonight?” We found it very amusing to imitate the guys because they always tried to stop us, from doing it. The faces they made were hilarious too, because Morgan and I over dramatized their signature moves, making them look like goofs.

“I don’t know. Do you think we could get AJ and Nick to do ‘Genie in a Bottle’ again?”

“They did that last time,” we both started laughing, loudly. “Maybe we should talk them into ‘Hit Me Baby One More Time’.” I changed shirts, quickly, and Morgan went into her room, to change out of her skirt and into jeans. After we changed, we all climbed into Nick and AJ’s vehicles. Morgan and I rode with Nick, while Mason went with AJ and Riley.

“Oh my gosh! Turn this up, Nick!” I shouted, bouncing in my seat. The first verse was almost over, but I couldn’t help starting to sing, “Fat cat came to play, now he can't run fast enough!”

“You'd best stay away, when the pushers come to shove!” Morgan took over, and was bouncing along, with me.

“Zoot suit riot!” Nick yelled, over the blaring stereo, as he turned it up more.

“RIOT!” Morgan and I backed him up. “Throw back a bottle of beer!”

“Zoot suit riot!” Nick rolled down the windows, as AJ pulled up next to us at a red light.

“RIOT!” Morgan and I waved our hands in the air, bopping our heads, to the beat of the music.

“Pull a comb, through your coal black hair!” AJ had turned off his radio, Nick turned up ours, and now AJ was belting out the words along with the three, of us. It was only a matter of minutes, before we pulled into the karaoke club, still blasting the end of Zoot Suit Riot. Karaoke night was always a ton of fun!
End Notes:
The lyrics are from Zoot Suit Riot (obviously) by Cherry Poppin Daddies. LOL, I hope someone got a laugh outta that!
Chapter Thirty-Two by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Drumroll please!
(In other words...something big is about to happen.)
“Hey, Mason, come and help me move the couch,” I looked, over my shoulder, at my younger cousin. It was Friday, the 17th of February…and, the day before Morgan’s birthday. To help celebrate, I planned a kids only, movie night and sleep over. Sean was bringing his 11 year old brother, Cory, because he was so close to Mason’s age. Lisa helped me to invite a couple of Morgan’s cousins, Mason invited a friend, and I also invited a couple girls, from school, that Morgan got along with.

“Where are we moving it to?” he asked, coming up next to me.

“Up against the wall. Then we can spread out the sleeping bags and stuff on the floor.”

“I still don’t understand,” Nick appeared in the doorway, “Why don’t you guys use the home theater?”

“Niiiick!” I whined, after Mason and I had moved the couch. “I don’t want to seem like a show off, to everyone else and besides, this will be more fun. We can all lounge around, spread out snacks, and have room to move around. It will be better than sitting in the theater seats.”

“Bay’s right, Uncle Nick,” Mason nodded, “plus, we can all just crash here, whenever we get tired.”

“Alright,” Nick chuckled, “whatever makes you guys happy.” I watched Nick leave the room before covering the archway with a queen sized black sheet. Mason set to closing the blinds and hanging black sheets over them. I took a marker and wrote ‘No one over 16 allowed!!!’ on a sheet of paper, before pinning it to the sheet that was over the archway. Okay, so we could have just drawn the drapes closed or whatever…but this seemed like more fun.

“Where are the snacks?” Mason questioned, looking around.

“Oh, they are still in the kitchen! Come on, we better hurry, if everything is going to be ready before people start getting here. We rushed into the kitchen, grabbing popcorn, chips, gummy bears, Raisinets, Skittles, Milk Duds, chocolate bars, brownies, mini doughnuts, Cheeze-Its, fruit snacks, and Sour Patch Kids.

“Pizza is here, boys,” Nick smiled, carrying six large pizzas, into the kitchen.

“I got them!” Mason went to grab the pizzas, from Nick.

“Hey now, only five are for you kids…one is for me,” Nick gave us a cheesy grin, before handing Mason our five pizzas. I set the paper plates on top of the pizza boxes and Mason took them to the living room. I followed with my arms full of our other snacks. Nick snickered, watching us leave the kitchen.

“Check the mini-fridge, Mason, we want to make sure there’s enough soda.”

“Hmm…we have…Coke, Mountain Dew, Root beer, Sunkist, 7-up, Cherry Pepsi, and Lipton Raspberry Iced Tea…I don’t think we could get anything else in here.”

“Perfect!” I smiled, looking around the room. We had a huge stack of movies, to choose from. All the snacks were spread out, pizza sitting on the corner table, blankets and sleeping bags on the floor. Mason finished piling a mountain of pillows around the blankets, as I flipped on the big flat screen T.V. and surround sound.

“All we need is people,” Mason smiled widely. We were both pretty excited about the whole thing and Morgan didn’t even have a clue that it was happening. In the next five minutes Sean; Cory; Morgan’s cousins Becca, Katie, and Ben; and the girls from school Maria and Jocelyn had all arrived.

“Okay, I told you guys to be here at 6 o’clock and told Morgan ten after. So, she should be here any minute. No soon, than I had gotten the words out of my mouth, I heard the front door open.

“Hello?” I heard Morgan’s voice and the shuffling of her taking off her shoes. “Baylee? Nick? Mason?”

“Hey!” I stepped into the foyer and gave her a hug. “Come with me.” I smiled, before covering her eyes, with my hand.

“What are you doing, Baylee?”

“Shhh,” I whispered, leading her into the living room. Everyone positioned themselves in front of the T.V. “Okay, ready? Open.”

“SURPRISE!!!” Everyone screamed, causing Morgan to jump, out of her skin.

“Oh my gosh! It’s not even my birthday, yet!” Morgan giggled, trying to hide the tears coming to her eyes. I don’t think anyone, but me, noticed that she was on the verge of tears. Within a few minutes, we were all sitting on the floor with pizza in hand and eyes glued to the T.V. We started out with a Star Wars movie, since it is one of her favorites. The movie was almost over, when I heard the phone ring.

“Hello?” I had hopped up and quickly snatched the phone.

“Hello, Baylee,” the voice was quiet, troubled, and sad. I was silent. Clearing their throat, they continued, “How are you?”

“Uh…” I could feel the color drain from my face, as my words got caught in my throat. “Huh…Uncle Kevin?” My voice was barely a whisper, but suddenly I had three pairs, of eyes, on me. Mason, Morgan and Sean were instantly by my side. Taking the cordless phone, we all stepped out into the foyer.

“Yeah…it’s me,” his voice sounded so distant. “I’m sorry I haven’t called.”

“Where are you? Are you okay? Are you still in rehab? Why didn’t you tell us? We’ve all been worried!” I jumbled my words together, not being able to think clearly.

“Dad? It’s Mason…” he grabbed the phone, from me, but still held it to where all of us could still hear.

“Mason…” Kevin gasped, letting out a soft sigh. “I…I…”

“Tell us where you are, so we can visit!” Mason blurted.

“I can’t tell you where I am. I am still in rehab…I entered into a six month rehabilitation program. It’s best for you not to visit, right now.”

“But…but we miss you.” It was all I could think of, to say. So many things were running through my head. There were so many questions that I wanted to be answered.

“I just…I just needed to know…” he drew in a deep breath and his voice lowered drastically, “…if you all still hate me.”

“Dad we never really…”

“No, Uncle Kevin!”

“I’m really trying, this time,” Kevin’s voice cut back in. “I know I have a lot to make up for but I am really going to try. I didn’t like the feeling that I got, when I thought I had lost you boys. I guess I didn’t realize how bad things had gotten…I wanted to think that I still had everything under control.”

“Don’t worry about that, right now, Dad. That’s all in the past and you just need to worry about getting better. Everything else will come after that.”

“We never, really, stopped loving you.”

“I love you boys. I just…I needed you to know that. Know that I love you and that I am sorry for hurting you so badly.” My eyes watered a little because I could sense a new sincerity, in his voice. There was something there that wasn’t there, before.

“We love you, too, Uncle Kevin.”

“Well, I best get going. I will try to call again soon. Oh, and Morgan…thanks.”

“How did you…” Morgan looked up at me, confused. She hadn’t said a word, the whole time, how did he know that she was there?

“Lucky guess…well…more like an educated guess. Anyways, I need to go, now.”

“I love you, dad. Bye.”

“Bye,” Morgan and I whispered, before I hung up.

“Wow…” Sean stuttered, looking at the rest of us. “Sounds like I really did miss a lot, while I was at mom’s.

“Yeah. Sorry, I guess we didn’t completely fill you in, huh?” I shrugged my shoulders. I turned to Mason and engulfed him in a hug.

“We gotta tell Nick!” he blurted.

“NICK! NIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!” Mason, Morgan, and I screamed, together. We all sprinted, up the stairs, in search of Nick. Our faces we covered with smiles, as we continued to shout his name. “NICK! NICK!”

“What? What’s wrong? What happened?” Nick’s face was covered in panic, as he came tumbling out of his room.

“Dad called!” Mason jumped up and down. “He called! He actually called!”

“He sounded for real, this time!” I nodded, with the same excitement. I turned to look at Morgan and Sean. It was at that moment, I realized Sean didn’t come upstairs, with us.

“He said that he loves us and that he’s in a six…” Mason started explaining everything to Nick. I turned and headed back down stairs, to find Sean.

“Hey man, what’s up?” I asked, sitting next to him. I had found him, in the living room, watching the movie.

“Nothing. I was gone and missed a lot, so I didn’t feel like I was a part of that moment.” He shrugged and looked over at me, with a smile, “It is so cool that he is finally getting the help, though.”

“Hey,” Morgan grinned. Sean and I parted, so that she could sit between us like she always did. “We should watch a scary movie, next.”

“You don’t really like scary movies,” Sean raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah…why would you want to watch one?”

“I like them, sometimes. Besides, I have a jock on each side, of me, so if I get scared I have two shoulders to choose from.” She shrugged her shoulders and chuckled.

“Boy, you are one lucky geek…I mean girl,” Sean nudged her.

“I’m not a geek…I’m a hottie in disguise!”

“Nice!” Sean and I nodded, with big smiles. I looked, over my shoulder, to see Mason come back into the room. He sat down next to me and settled in, for the movie. Over two hours later, everyone was asleep…except me and Mason.

“Hey, Bay? Can we talk?”

“Yeah, sure.” I nodded. I gently moved Morgan’s arm, before trying to get up. I, almost, fell over because my leg had fallen asleep but was able to make it to the foyer. Mason and I sat on the stairs, to talk.
Chapter Thirty-Three by alota_cookin
“I miss my mom so much! I mean, I’m happy that dad is getting help but…I’m so mad at him because he was the reason my mom got taken away from me!” We sat down, at the bottom of the stairs, to talk.

“Oh, Mason,” I tried to swallow the lump, in my throat. Mason hadn’t really talked much, since everything happened. All I could do, right then, was pull him into a hug and let him cry.

“It’s not fair.” Tears streamed, down his cheek and, on to my shirt. “I hate him so much but…I want him back so badly. Everything is so messed up and I can’t do anything about it. Why did this have to happen? My…my mom…she’s gone and there’s nothing I can do! Why didn’t I stop them? Why didn’t I answer the door, instead of her?”

“It’s not your fault. You can’t blame yourself. I know it’s easier said, than done…I blame myself a lot for stuff too.” I rubbed my hand over his back, keeping my arms around his shaking body.

“There are so many things that…that I wish I could tell her! It’s all a dream, right? None of this even seems real…I keep looking around, like I am only spending the night with you, not living here! I want to go home…I want my mom back…I want everything to be okay,” his crying increased, as did his grip on my shirt.

“I know, Mason. I understand how you feel…” My words trailed off as Mason flung my arms away and stood. He glared down at me and began to yell.

“NO! YOU DON’T! You’ll never understand! You dad isn’t in rehab because he got your mom killed! It’s not the same…it’s completely different and you’ll never know!”

“Shhhh, it’s okay, Mason,” Morgan had appeared, turned him to her, and pulled him into her arms. “We do understand, Mason…maybe on different levels, but we do. Baylee was your age when he lost both of his parents, unexpectedly.”

“But…it was different…” Mason insisted, still shuddering with every breath.

“The circumstances? Yes…you’re right, they are different. But the feelings are the same. The loss, the hurt, the confusion, the guilt, the insecurity…all that is the same. He’s not trying to make light of your feelings, Mason, he is trying to let you know that he has felt that pain and knows how hard it is to cope.”

“But it’s just so different…his dad wasn’t the reason!”

“Yeah…that’s because his dad was killed, too. He had to watch his mom suffer, Mason. Did you think about that? Your mom died fairly quick…his dad died almost instantly. You’re watching your dad struggle for his life, in rehab…he had to watch his mom struggle to live. At least you still have your dad. You two aren’t as different as you think.”

That’s Morgan for you…when it comes to this kind of thing, she is blunt and to the point. I know Morgan was trying to show Mason the similarities and how I really did know what he was going through, but it opened up all those old wounds. My stomach churned as tears started to roll down my cheeks. I had tried, so hard, to keep them from falling, but once they did…I couldn’t stop them, anymore. I found myself breaking into a million pieces, shoulders shaking and breathing ragged.

“I’m…I’m sorry Baylee…I just…”

“Come on,” Morgan pulled me up, by the arm and started leading us up the stairs. I wiped away my tears, with my free hand, as we made our way to my room. “You two need to sit and talk. Listen to each other. You have to be building each other up and helping each other through…not trying to tear each other down or prove who has gone through the worst. Just…talk. I’ll be downstairs, if you need me.” I watched her leave my room and I knew she was right.

“So…” I sighed, sitting on my bed next to my cousin. I tried to slow my breathing back down and regain my composure.

“It’s just so hard. I…I don’t remember losing Uncle Brian and Aunt Leighanne. Sometimes, it’s hard for me, to remember that Nick isn’t your dad.”

“You know…it is for me too. I think that’s why I felt like I had to fight with him all the time. It helped me to remember that he wasn’t my dad…I was so afraid that I would end up forgetting my dad. Nick is amazing; he can be a very good listener and extremely understanding. I rebelled against him…partly because I didn’t want to get too close.”

“I guess, it’s a defense mechanism, huh? I’m already afraid of forgetting my mom and I don’t even have a female guardian.” Mason let out a small laugh. I looked over to him and we locked eyes.

“I want to be there for you Mason. I didn’t have anyone, even close to my age that knew what it was like. The first year was horrible for me.” I explained, resting a hand, on his shoulder.

“But, then you met Morgan, right?” He smirked at me and I smirked back.

“Yeah.”

“Did it really help, having her to talk to?” He questioned. I could see the confusion and uncertainty, in his eyes.

“You have no idea how much it helped. I could be myself around her and I opened up to her. Once I started talking about how I felt and all the emotions that were bottled up…it was like finally being able to breathe again.” I explained, thinking back to the first time that I met her.

“Wow. I know what you mean about feeling like you couldn’t breathe. I always feel like I’m suffocating…like I can’t control my own body anymore. I keep breaking down, at night, when I think about her. My eyes won’t stop letting out tears…I sit on my knees for hours, because I can’t get up. It’s like a part of me is missing…I’m not a whole person anymore.” Mason’s tears began to flow, again, as he described something that I knew all too well.

“It’s like…you are so dependant on someone and then, POOF, it’s all over but the crying. You keep expecting it to not be real.” I laughed, sarcastically.

“Just like you said, at the hospital…you keep thinking they are going to walk through the door and everything will be okay, again.”

“But you know what?”

“What?” He sniffled as he looked up at me.

“That has to be the worst thing I have ever gone through…BUT…if it weren’t for that…I wouldn’t have moved out here, to live with Nick. If I didn’t live with Nick…I wouldn’t have met Morgan, and she is the best friend anyone could ask for. I wouldn’t have met Sean either and he’s just as good of a friend…I don’t open up to him as much, but he’s still a great friend.”

“So you’re saying that…”

“…that they aren’t kidding when they say God has a reason for everything. Sure, things like this suck and you may spend you entire life and never get over them…but you’ll never know what you might have missed out on.” Okay…um…that was wise and all but where did it come from?!? I don’t think like that! I don’t ever come up with those smart, insightful things.

“Baylee? You, totally, just sounded like Morgan!” Mason chuckled loudly. Yep…that’s where it came from. Sometimes it’s like I share a brain with that girl and it’s, kind of, creepy!

“I know! Where did that come from?” I joined him, in his laughter. “I am so not, even, that smart! You know what she told me the night you came home with us, and I was crying about how nothing, ever, goes right?”

“What?” He smiled and turned towards me. I cleared my throat and in my best Morgan voice I told him.

“A lot of things have gone right. It’s just hard to see those things, right now. Your emotions are clouded and it’s okay, but if life was all rainbows and fluffy bunnies, how could you appreciate it?”

“That’s what she said? The best she could come up with was rainbows and bunnies?”

“Yeah, she said that, alright. Then, I told her I didn’t like fluffy bunnies,” I snickered, thinking about that night.

“You had her there, huh?” Mason nudged me, with his elbow.

“That’s what I thought, until she said,” I turned on my Morgan voice again and continued, “Okay fine, rainbows and fuzzy monkeys, sunshine and chirping birds, fuzzy monkeys wearing furry Batman slippers…whatever!”

“Monkeys wearing Batman slippers?!?” Mason looked at me and laughed loudly.

“And that…” I said pointing to him “…is what I did. She made a very good point and yet was able to crack me up.”

“That’s why you told me about it, huh?” He rolled his eyes and I just smirked. It worked, just as well, on him, as it did on me.

“Shall we go back downstairs?” I asked, patting his shoulder.

“Yeah. I feel a lot better. I guess I just needed to let out some frustration and stuff.” Mason and I rose to our feet. Just as he reached for the door knob, I pulled him into a hug.

“You can talk to me anytime, Mason. Okay? Don’t hold it in anymore…I don’t want you to suffocate yourself. This is why I am here…to help you through this.”

“I know that…I just forgot for a minute,” he smiled, hugging me back. “You think she is waiting up, for us?”

“HA! More than likely,” I nodded as we headed down the stairs. “She worries a lot. I am sure she is up to, at least, see how we are doing.”

“Oh, I am so going to tell her about your impersonation of her,” he snickered, walking into the living room.

Sure enough, Morgan was stretched out on the couch and watching a movie. The volume was turned all the way down and the captions scrolled across the bottom. As I walked closer, I saw Mason hold a finger, to his lips. She wasn’t watching the movie…she had actually fallen, back, asleep while she was waiting for us.

“Good night, Morgan,” I whispered, pulling one of the blankets, over her. I turned off the TV and got down onto the floor. “Night, Mase.”

“Night, Baylee. Thanks again.” It didn’t take long before we were both asleep, too.
Chapter Thirty-Four by alota_cookin
Morgan’s birthday came and went quickly, as did that whole week. Now, I was sitting in a bright white waiting room with Morgan on one side and Mason on the other. We had been sitting, quietly, for almost an hour. It was a Saturday, so Nick didn’t think much of it when we said we were going out. He was so busy working on something that he didn’t even ask where we were headed.

My nerves were fried, as we sat waiting. I’m not even sure how we got to this place, but here we were. It was all Morgan’s idea…she’s the one who found the place, but, Mason and I jumped at the opportunity, to go.

“You kids may come on in, now.” A middle aged woman looked down at us. Her name tag read ‘Martha’ on it.

“Thanks.” We each gave her a weak smile as we stood up. She led us to a set of double doors…the same, exact, double doors that I had been staring at for the past hour. We followed her down a long hallway. It was a really nice place…simple, but nice. I looked down at the beige carpet, and then looked up to see the light blue painted walls. We passed several, closed, doors and scattered plush chairs.

“Are you okay, Baylee?” Morgan’s voice floated, softly, into my ear. I looked away from the paintings on the wall, turning my gaze to her.

“Yeah,” I forced a half smile, “I’m good.” I drew in a deep breath, as the woman stopped in front of a closed door.

“Here you go,” she grinned and pushed open the wooden door. The tension could have been cut with a knife as we all looked at each other. All we could see, was a softly decorated room with a few comfy chairs.

“Thanks,” Mason whispered, as we all walked in, slowly. We stopped in the middle of the room and stood there, quietly, for a moment. I turned, looking around the room, and I saw him.

“Uncle Kevin,” my words were barely audible, as my eyes settled onto the man that sat in the corner. His head was bowed, hands clasped in his lap, and he was silent.

“DAD!” Mason shouted, rushing over to his father. Kevin wouldn’t look up, as Mason knelt beside him. Mason’s arms reached out and pulled his dad into a hug. Following suit, I made my way over and wrapped my arms around him, too. Morgan stayed off to the side, watching us.

“We’ve been so worried,” I whispered as Mason and I let go of him. His head slowly rose and his eyes looked up to Mason, then me.

“What are you doing here?” his voice was shaky and quiet. There were dark bags under his eyes, and his pale skin made him look sickly.

“Morgan tracked you down.” Mason smiled, warmly. “We wanted to come and see you.”

“You shouldn’t be here.” He simply stated, staring at the floor.

“We had to see you. Find out how you were. Tell you that we want to be here for you,” Mason bent his head down, to see his father’s eyes.

“You really need the love and support of your family, right now, Uncle Kevin.”

“I’m not really your uncle, Baylee.” He let out an awkward sigh. At first, I wasn’t sure what to think. Of course he wasn’t my real uncle…he was like a great cousin or whatever, but like I am supposed to call him ‘Great Cousin Kevin’ all the time. That would be awkward. Besides…he’s closer to being my Uncle than Howie, AJ and Nick are. I grew up calling all four of them my uncles. Well, until Nick became my guardian…after a while it, kind of, felt weird to call him an uncle when he was my guardian, but that’s a whole other story.

“You’re close enough. We are blood related and I have always called you my uncle.” I looked at him, closely. He sure was acting odd.

“Maybe you should stop.” Kevin stood, abruptly, and walked over to the large window. “You kids should go home.” His voice wasn’t harsh or mean, like it used to be…it was soft and…and…vulnerable.

“Dad…we want to be here. Why won’t you let us be here?” Mason went up and stood next to his dad. He looked up at his father’s face, expecting an answer.

“I don’t want you here,” Kevin chocked on his words, as he turned around. I saw a few tears make a path down his cheeks. His eyes were bloodshot. “I can’t risk it.”

“Risk what?” Mason and I asked, in unison.

“I don’t want to…I can’t…it’s just…never mind. Go home.”

“Come on! You can’t just push us away, like this! It took us forever to find you; and now, you’re just going to make us leave?!?” Mason’s eyes filled with anger, fear and confusion, as he looked to his father for an explanation.

“Calm down, Mase.” I rested my arm around his shoulder. “He probably just needs some more time.”

“He’s afraid.” Morgan’s voice pierced the air, for the first time, since we entered the room. I heard Kevin gasp, as his eyes gazed at the floor. “It’s simple, really. Since he has sobered up, he sees things a lot more clearly and guilt has set in. In this case, he hurt both of you pretty bad. I mean, think about it. He caused a TON of stress and tension between you and Nick,” she explained, looking at me and then to Mason. “Then, your mom was killed. He’s afraid that, if he lets anyone near him, he will hurt them, again.”

“How do you know that?” Mason tilted his head to the side, before looking up at his dad.

“It’s not really that uncommon,” Morgan shrugged. “Anyone paying close attention, to his actions and stuff, could read that.”

“Hello psychology major,” I raised an eyebrow at my best friend, hardly believing what I had just heard. Morgan bit her bottom lip, looking embarrassed that she had said anything.

“Dad?”

“I can’t do it again,” he shook his head, turning to face the wall. He shoved his hands, into his pockets, and let his head hang a bit.

“You’re getting better, right, Dad? I mean, you won’t hurt any of us anymore, if you’re getting better,” Mason tried to rub Kevin’s back, but Kevin pulled away.

“Just talk to us!” I urged, not wanting to give up. Kevin wouldn’t look at us and he had become very quiet.

“UH! This is so frustrating!” Mason threw his hands in the air and slumped into one of the chairs.

“You know what, guys,” Morgan spoke up, again. “I think we should go. You should give him a hug, tell him you love him and say ‘good-bye’. We’ll come back next weekend.”

“Maybe you’re right,” I sighed. I walked up behind Kevin and gave him a hug, from behind. “I love you Uncle Kevin and I have been praying for you. My dad never stopped loving you and neither will I.”

“I love you, too, Dad.” Mason whispered. He walked around so that he was facing his dad. Sneaking his arms, under Kevin’s, he gave his father a hug. “We’ll come see you soon.”

“Take care, Kevin,” Morgan’s voice spoke once more, as she opened the door. We all stepped into the hallway and slowly started walking back. “He just needs time, guys.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Mason nodded. “I mean…it’s gotta be hard for him, right?”

“I can’t even imagine what he must be going through,” I added. After thinking about it, I couldn’t blame Kevin for not wanting to be all chatty with us. He has got to feel like crap!

“Emotions suck,” Morgan laughed, sarcastically, “and, I am sure, he is dealing with a lot of them.” We exited the building and stepped into the sunlight. It was mid-afternoon and my stomach was growling.

“Let’s go get something to eat.” I suggested, looking at the other two.

“Yeah,” Mason agreed, dramatically. “I am starving!”

“You guys go ahead,” Morgan smiled, “I didn’t figure we would be out this long, so I didn’t bring any money with me.” I stopped walking and tilted my head. Rolling my eyes, I started laughing, and slung my arm around her shoulders.

“You are coming along, you are going to eat, and you are not going to say another word about it. Right, Mason?”

“Right! We so got you covered!” He chuckled. Luckily the rehab center, that Kevin was at, wasn’t too awful far from our house. About halfway, between the two, was a nice restaurant that had awesome burgers. It was about 15 minutes of walking, before we entered the restaurant doors. The three of us sat down, to enjoy a good lunch.
Chapter Thirty-Five by alota_cookin
Alright, let’s just say that Nick wasn’t thrilled when he found out about us sneaking off to see Kevin. Actually, he was pretty upset. He sent Morgan home and cut off our after school sessions for a couple days. We had, indirectly, broken some kind of rule. It doesn’t make much sense because Nick said we could go see Kevin again this weekend. I swear that man confuses me, beyond belief!

“Get your head in the game, Littrell!” Oops, I guess I should be paying attention to the ball. Couch doesn’t take it lightly when we lose our focus. After all, this was our rival game! I looked up to see Lucas passing the ball, to me.

“Give us a ‘B’!” Oh good grief…here they go again! I dribbled the ball, around a couple people and was now close to our cheerleaders. I could hear my most hated cheer begin.

“B!” Our home crowd joined in, on the chant. Why must they do this? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Morgan and Sean laughing about it.

“Give us an ‘A’!” Seriously, since the very beginning of time…I had to be the only freshman to get his own cheer! Sure, a lot of guys would be all into it but, frankly, I find it rather annoying.

“A!”

“..and a ‘Y’!”

“Y!” I shook my head, passing the ball to Timothy, who was under the hoop.

“Give us a ‘L’ and double the ‘E’! He’s our man! Offense, Defense, all around. Take that shot and bring it home!” Timothy took the shot and put us up another 2 points. It was the third quarter, and we had been ahead since halftime.

“Nice,” I high-fived Timothy as we ran back down the court.

“Thanks, Bay,” he smiled, as we took our guarding positions.

“We’re the Wolves and Baylee’s gonna lead the pack!” The girls started screaming and jumping around like goofs. I guess, I could see why Morgan didn’t want to try out for the squad. The buzzer filled the air, signaling the end of the quarter. I ran, with the rest of the guys, over to our side. I guzzled some water, as we listened to the couch ramble.

“Come on Baylee…” Morgan’s voice caught my attention. The couch had finished his pep talk, so I turned to face my friends. “…lead the pack!” She made the goofiest face and mocked the cheerleader’s movements.

“Yeah, Baylee…offense, defense, all around…you’re our man,” Sean chuckled, pointing both fingers at me.

“Laugh it up, guys. It’s real funny,” I rolled my eyes but still laughed along with them.

“You are such a chick magnet, dude,” Sean rolled his eyes, back, at me. “How about you hook a brother up?”

“You know Sean…”

“Hi, Baylee.” I knew the annoying voice that had interrupted me.

“Hi, Claire,” I sighed. I shrugged her hand off my shoulder and turned back to my friends. “Like I was saying…”

“You know, Baylee, we should totally go out this weekend,” she giggled obnoxiously.

“I’m busy…sorry…” I managed to answer, just as I was called to get back on the court. I shook my head, at the thought of dating Claire. Has anyone ever noticed that the popular guys are always expected to go out with the popular girls…and the popular girls are always dumb, stick thin, overly perky and completely obnoxious? Well, I don’t like girls like Claire…they annoy me!

The rest of the game went pretty fast and…we lost…by one lousy free throw! I let out a long sigh as I walked home. I had already parted ways with Sean and Morgan, so I was left alone, with my thoughts. Walking slowly, I looked up towards the night sky.

“I wish you were here, dad.” I whispered, readjusting my duffel bag. I knew he liked playing basketball with Nick; and I also knew that he would have come to every one of my games. A heavy breeze picked up and blew through my curls, as I reached the end of the driveway. Turning around, I sat on the front step. I continued to look at the stars, as I rested my elbows on my knees.

Sometimes it’s just nice to be alone. I don’t get much time to myself. I run with Morgan, go to school, do my homework, go to practice, eat dinner, spend time with Mason and Nick, then it is usually time to go to bed. Sure, I didn’t have practice everyday; and I really like my morning run with Morgs and I couldn’t do homework without her…but…alone time was still nice.

It was Friday night and I didn’t have to be up in the morning, so I could just sit. I let my head fall, into my hands, as I continued to sit there. I wasn’t really thinking about much of anything, but I still felt better. I lifted my head, when I heard the front door open.

“Hey Bay, are you okay?” Nick’s voice was soft and concerned. He walked up, next to me, and took a seat, beside me.

“Yeah…just…” I let out a long breath, “…I dunno…enjoying the night?”

“Let me guess,” Nick snickered slightly, as he turned to face me, “You’ve got so much on your mind that there’s nothing on your mind.”

“That makes no sense but yet…”

“...one the other hand, it makes perfect sense?” Nick put his arm around my shoulders and gave me a light squeeze. “The thing is…I completely understand that feeling. I have been there plenty of times.”

“It’s like; I just want to sort things out, but then, I can’t figure anything out. I want to know what’s going on with Kevin. I want to make sure Mason is going to be okay. I want to know that Morgan is okay. Heck…I just want to know that I am okay. I want all these mixed feelings to go away! I miss my parents. I’m scared for Kevin. I’m worried about Mason. I am protective of Morgan. I want to be strong for Mason and my friends. I want to make you proud of me. I want to know that my parents would be proud of me. I don’t want to let anyone down. I have no clue where my life is going. I just…” My voice trailed off as my thoughts came to a halt.

“It’s normal, Baylee. I know that you think you’re crazy, but, you’re not.”

“Then tonight, at the game, the cheerleaders started doing that dumb cheer, again. It’s like they think I am something extra special and, really, it just makes me feel like…I can never reach this expectation people have of me. They’re all talking about ‘Baylee’s gonna lead the pack’ and ‘He’s our man’ and all this other crap. I feel like I am always letting someone down.” I blinked, realizing that I was having a…moment…with Nick. Everything was just coming out…I didn’t normally have these talks with nick, but I couldn’t stop the words from leaving my mouth. I dropped my head back, into my hands.

“Well, there is a simple explanation for, all of, this…” Nick’s lips smirked slightly. It almost felt as if he were holding back a laugh.

“Oh yeah? Care to let me in, on what it is?” I was frustrated, plain and simple.

“You’re a teenager. Most of those feelings come with the territory. I’ll never forget this big old long speech that your dad gave me. I’ll spare you the details, though, and get down to the main story line. Forget about everyone else and live your life for yourself. You can’t go around trying to please other people because, in the long run, they don’t matter. People will always have expectations…but you don’t have to meet every one of them….you’ll kill yourself trying. So just…work on meeting your expectations of you. That, alone, will help to eliminate some of those feelings.” Could it be possible that Nick knew what he was talking about?

“You’re trying to tell me that all teenagers go through this?!?” I raised an eyebrow at him. I had a hard time believing that. I had so many mixed emotions running through me…I couldn’t imagine that everyone else I knew felt it too. How, exactly, do I work on meeting my expectations of me, when I don’t even know what they are? Man, being a teenager, kind of, sucks!

“To some extent, yes. Granted…you deal with certain things that none of your peers do. But wanting to be accepted, wanting to make your parents proud, feeling like you can’t live up to certain expectations…yeah…all that is pretty normal. Being in any kind of spotlight makes things worse…for me and your father, it was fame, and for you it is popularity. But, either way, it puts this kind of pressure on you…like you have to be a certain way or something.”

“Like AJ trying to live up to the bad boy image and you trying to keep your weight just right? For me, it’s being the school’s star JV athlete?”

“Exactly.” Nick nodded his head.

“I like playing sports and I know I’m good at it, but I just…” my voice trailed off, as I tried to put my thoughts into words.

“…get sick of it? I know the feeling. Fame and popularity have their perks, but you get sick of dealing with it, after a while.” Nick let out a long sigh, as his head lowered. I could tell that memories, of younger years, were flooding his brain.

“Yeah…what you said. I don’t get one thing, though.”

“What’s that?”

“How do you meet your own expectations, of yourself, when you don’t even know what those expectations are?” I looked at him confused. He turned to me, smiled and simply said…

“That’s, exactly, what I asked your dad.”

“What was his answer?”

“What was your dad’s answer to everything?” He asked, before getting up and heading back inside, leaving me to my thoughts. Oddly enough, I knew exactly what he meant. My elbows were still on my knees and my head was in my hands. I took a deep breath, lifted my head and let my hands drop, straight out, in front of me.

“Let me guess, dad…” I blinked, as it started to sprinkle. “You told him to pray about it, right?” The rain picked up, as I saw a flash of lightning streak across the sky. Grabbing my duffel bag, I headed inside and up to my room. I changed and collapsed on my bed, reaching for dad’s journal.
Chapter Thirty-Six by alota_cookin
I woke up to Morgan sitting on the edge, of my bed. Slowly opening my eyes, I saw her close my dad’s journal and sit it on the side table. I couldn’t even remember reading any of it, before I had fallen asleep.

“Looks like you were pretty tired, last night.” She smiled, ripping the covers off, of me.

“Yeah. I had a long night.” I rubbed the sleep, from my eyes, and sat up. Leaning against her, I let my head fall onto her shoulder. “Do you know what you’re going to do after we graduate?”

“Not really. I have been thinking about going into law, though. Why?”

“Like a lawyer?” I questioned, as I pulled a pair of shorts on, over my boxers. “Now see, that’s really cool. How did you come up with that? I have NO clue what I want to do!” I let out a long, frustrated sigh.

“We’re not supposed to know, yet, Baylee. I just have ideas. Don’t you have any ideas?” She raised her eyebrows as I stood in front of the mirror, messing with my hair. We were planning to go see Kevin today.

“Well, of course, I have thought of things…but…I don’t know. My ideas are silly.” I sighed, pulling on a shirt.

“No idea is silly, Baylee. And…what is up with the questions today? You aren’t normally worried about these things.”

“Believe me…my ideas are…let’s just say ‘out there’. Nick told me that I should be trying to meet my own expectations of myself…not anyone else’s expectations of me. The only thing is, that I don’t know what my expectations, of myself, are. I have no idea where to, even, begin!”

“Maybe you should start on a smaller scale. For example, what are your expectations, regarding your grades? My mom is happy, as long as I do my best and pass. But I expect and push myself to get all A’s because I know I can do it.”

“I’m just happy if I pass!” I chuckled. Passing is good!

“Well, by taking Nick’s advice…you would not let me push you to get all A’s and B’s…you would just study enough to pass.” She shrugged, with a smile.

“But…I like it when you push me to do better. I don’t have the dedication that you do. I mean…I am happy when I get all A’s or whatever…it’s just that I couldn’t do it by myself.”

“Alright…” she rolled her eyes and sighed, before continuing on, “…how about basketball? Do you expect yourself to lead the team to state finals or do you expect to just do your best and be a team player?”

“Do my best and be a team player.” I answered as if it was a dumb question.

“So what are you gonna do…” she got up and walked towards me, with determination in her eyes “…when Claire starts that dumb cheer? Come on Baylee lead the pack! Make the shot and win the game, Baylee.” She looked my straight in the eye and continued. “You’re gonna take us to state’s this year, Baylee. You’re our best player, Baylee. Win us the game, Baylee. You’re our man, Baylee. Give me a ‘B’…”

“STOP IT!” I shouted, backing away from her. She was turning into one of them! Morgan was supposed to be on my side!

“What? I didn’t hear you? What did you say?” She smirked at me, raising her eyebrows.

“I SAID STOP IT!” I screamed, louder.

“Oh…you’re going to make the school proud? Is that what you said? Well, that’s good because we are all depending on you!”

“NO! SHUT UP!” I was really starting to get angry. Why was she pushing my buttons, like this, when she knew how bad it bugged me? She crossed her arms and continued to stare at me, with our noses almost touching, again.

“Oh but, Baylee, we need you. You just have to win the game for us! It all comes down to you.”

“NO! I am not the only one on the court! The whole team wins the game for us! IT’S NOT JUST ME!” I backed up, bumping into my dresser.

“So…what are you saying Baylee? You’re not going to, single handedly, win us the state championship?” She stuck out her lip in a pout.

“NO! I can’t do it by myself! I am a part of a TEAM…it’s called a basketball TEAM, for a reason, and I am going to play as part of that TEAM! Why doesn’t anyone get that?” I screamed, at the top of my lungs. I was so angry and frustrated. Why couldn’t anyone understand that it’s not just me?

“That’s what Nick was talking about.” She grinned, as her face softened and she plopped back down, onto my bed. “Don’t let other people’s expectations run your life. Don’t give in to people…stand up to them. Just think of what I would be like, if I tried to be what people expected me to be. Can you say ‘Claire Clone’?” Rolling her eyes, she giggled.

“Oh…” I plopped onto the bed, beside Morgan. Well…why didn’t Nick just say that?

“Not as complicated as you thought, huh?” Her eyes almost twinkled, as she smirked at me.

“I guess not.”

“Well, we better get Mason and head over to see Kevin. I told the receptionist that we would be there around 10.” She stood up and headed to the door. “Oh and Sean is going to meet us for slushies and lunch, at Josie’s, around noon. If we’re not done visiting Kevin, Sean said to just call and let him know.”

“Alright. That sounds good. I think Nick is going to drive us, this time. Is it still raining?” I followed her, downstairs. Walking into the kitchen, Nick tossed me a yogurt and granola bar. Smiling, I passed them to Morgan and caught the next ones that he tossed. Both Nick and I knew, from experience, that Morgan would have missed and the yogurt would have splattered all over the floor. He grabbed some for himself and we all joined Mason, who was already eating at the table.

“I hope today’s visit goes better than the last one,” Mason sighed, crumpling the wrapper of his granola bar. I slouched, in my chair, nodding my head and hoping for the same thing.

“I’m sure it will still be rough,” Nick patted his shoulder, “It’s going to take time, but he’ll wear down.”

“Are you going to come in, with us, Uncle Nick?” Mason’s eyes looked hopeful, but, I knew the answer was going to be ‘no’. Nick didn’t seem like he was ready for that step, yet. There was too much, that had happened, between them. There was a lot of mending that needed to happen, between them.

“Nah,” Nick shook his head and looked down, to see Mason’s disappointment. “I don’t think it would help…probably make things worse, actually.”

“We understand, don’t we Mason?” I looked over, seeing a small nod.

“I promise that I will…just…not yet, okay?” Nick gave us, all, a small smile and got up from the table. The rest, of us, followed suit and threw out our trash. There was a long silence as we all headed out to the garage. It didn’t take very long to get to the center, seeing as we drove, this time.

“Good morning, you kids are here to see Kevin, correct?” the bubbly woman smiled widely, at us.

“Yes, that’s right,” I nodded, stepping up to the front desk.

“Well, we have set up a bit of a different situation, this time. You will be meeting him in a comfortable lounge area. We have a counselor that will be sitting in, with you, to help. We do this often and it usually does wonders to help everyone involved. Okay?” She picked up a clip board and stepped out, from behind the desk. “Shall we?”

“Yeah, thanks,” Mason smiled as he walked through the door that the woman held open. We were probably there for an hour or more, that morning. The counselor mainly talked with Kevin and Mason. At least, Kevin hugged us all, before we left, this time. He agreed to weekly visits on Saturdays. He also said that he would like the chance to talk with Nick and AJ…well, Howie, too…but, mainly Nick and AJ.

“So where’s Mason?” Sean asked, as soon as Morgan and I walked into Josie’s.

“Nick picked him up at the center. Mason said he didn’t feel like hanging out with us older kids. He just wanted to head home,” I shrugged and looked down at the menu.

“What sounds good, guys?” Morgan’s eyebrows were scrunched, as she sat staring at the menu. She always has a hard time deciding what she wants to eat. Is that a girl thing or just a Morgan thing? Half the time, I end up ordering for her!

“Mmm…I’m just gonna have a Josie’s Deluxe burger, with chili cheese fries, fried mushrooms, onion rings, a chocolate milkshake and I’m debating on the caramel apple pie.” Sean grinned widely, announcing his selections.

“I’m definitely getting fries smothered in cheese and gravy! But, I don’t know if I want the grilled chicken sandwich or bacon burger.” I sighed, thinking about my dilemma.

“I want cheesy gravy fries too,” Morgan nodded. “I have no idea what I want with it though. The grilled chicken sandwich sounds good.”

“Hey!” I grinned widely. “Why don’t you get the chicken, I’ll get the bacon burger, we’ll order the mondo fry platter, and we can split?”

“Sounds good to me.” She shut her menu, just as our server came to take our orders. Sean placed his, rather large, order first. Then I ordered the mondo fry platter with extra cheese and gravy, as well as my bacon burger and Morgan’s chicken sandwich.
Chapter Thirty-Seven by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Alright...I hope this is as funny for you guys, to read, as it was for me, to write. I had some fun with this chapter and hope you all like it.
Psst...enjoy the calm before the storm!
Oh, and, thanks a ton for all the feedback! You guys are great!
“So, Morgy, baby” Sean leaned forward, on the table, “are you going to help me study for Monday’s Biology exam?”

“What?” Morgan looked at him, sideways. “You’re not talking about this chapter, are you? The one we just finished?”

“Um, yeah…” Sean nodded. I sat back, looking from one to the other. This was going to end up being a very interesting conversation…I could feel it.

“Why do you, even, need help with this chapter? It should be a breeze for you two.” She looked over, to me, and then turned back to Sean.

“I’m not good in Biology, you know that.” Sean argued. I was fighting to hold back my laughter. Morgan was making the funniest faces and Sean looked, seriously, clueless.

“But…Sean,” Morgan quirked an eyebrow, “This chapter was on the male reproductive system.”

“Yeaaaaaah…”

“Good grief,” I snickered, as our drinks were delivered.

“But…Sean...how could you possibly need help? I mean…it’s the male reproductive system…you have one.” Morgan looked at him with disbelief. I just continued to snicker, under my breath.

“That doesn’t mean I understand how it works. Well…I understand how it works, obviously…” he nodded down, towards his lap. I rested my elbows on the table and covered my face with one hand. This was leading to a bad, bad place. Sean wasn’t, exactly, known for being discreet, about things. “I mean…all you gotta do is find the right speed and…”

“EEW! Shut up Sean!” Morgan waved her hands in front of her face.

“She’s right, Sean,” I finally piped up. Someone had to, try to, put an end to this. “First of all, you shouldn’t, really, need any help on the subject. Secondly, you don’t need to share what you do know.”

“Well, I have to tell you guys because you’re my best friends! And, I can assure you that I know how, at least one part of, it works.”

“O my gosh, SEAN! You’ve used it?!? No! Don’t answer that…I don’t wanna know!” Morgan threw her hands in the air and turned her head, to look in the other direction. This was getting pretty comical, but, now our food was arriving. I just hoped that no one was listening in.

“No I haven’t used it…not like that. I’m as much of a ‘V’ as you guys are. I’ve just…you know…”


“Okay, seriously, I don’t care about your snake charming habits. That’s gross! Didn’t you guys get ‘the talk’? Between that, and the week we spent discussing the chapter, you guys should know yourself, inside and out…literally.” She lifted an eyebrow, stealing a fry from the plate in front of me. I cut both sandwiches, in half, and swapped half my burger with half of her chicken.

“Hey…I got the talk from Nick…you can imagine what kind of mess that was!” I shook my head, at the memory. I don’t think I have ever, in my life, seen a man stutter as much at Nick did, that day. I shook a fry as I continued, “I think the poor guy confused himself more, by trying to explain it to me.”

“It’s not as bad as when I got it from my mom. You remember that, Bay?”

“Oh yeah!” I smirked at Sean, remembering the day it happened. He had called me right after it all went down. “She caught you and decided it was time.” I started laughing and the look on Morgan’s face just fueled it more.

“I don’t think I have ever seen her cheeks that red before, or after, that! She stuttered for almost 10 minutes before she blurted something about giving me ‘the talk’. Besides, you’re one to talk…Nick gave you the talk after he caught you!”

“It was a little different, Sean. You’re mom caught you during the act! Nick just…sorta…walked in afterwards.”

“OKAY! Enough! I don’t want to hear another word about either of you doing anything to, any part of…yourselves!” her shoulders shuddered, as she shook her head. See? I told you that this conversation would get interesting! Sean and I tend to forget that our other best friend is a girl. We, kind of, just keep talking as if she were one of the guys.

“Sorry, Morgan,” I shrugged, apologetically.

“But, you can’t blame us. I mean, you are our other best friend. If we didn’t tell you everything, it would be like leaving you out and that’s not fair.” Sean reasoned. Morgan got a weird glint in her eyes as she rested her chin, on her folded hands.

“Good point, Sean. Since we’re looking at it that way…I have got to tell you guys…my PMS is killer this month! I am so bloated that I feel like a beached whale and my cramps are kicking in, big time. Don’t even get me started on my chocolate cravings, this month! I swear, I’ve already gained an extra pound…just from yesterday! Not to mention…”

“OKAY! We get it!” I blurted, throwing my hands up, in defeat.

“Eeeeeew, you’re on your...GROSS!!!” Sean scrunched his nose.

“No, I’m not, Sean…PMS is PRE-menstrual syndrome. Give me a couple days and I will be, though.” Morgan had a smirk of satisfaction, plastered, on her face. She was enjoying this, entirely, too much! I hate it when she makes her points, like this.

“Alright…some things shouldn’t be shared. We get it. Don’t we, Sean?” I looked at him, expecting his agreement.

“Right…no more talking, to Morgan, about jerking off…got it.” Sean nodded. His statement caused me to laugh and Morgan to choke a little. I patted her back and she threw a fry that stuck to Sean’s forehead.

The rest of lunch went pretty uneventful. We talked more about school and Kevin’s progress. Honestly, I had tuned out during the counseling session, so Morgan had to fill me in on what was said. At any rate, it wasn’t too long before we had gone to get our stuff, and met back at Morgan’s house. Yes, she was going to help us study. I think Sean was faking it, just, because he enjoyed seeing Morgan get frustrated, which is rather funny. He spent the whole time coming up with new names, and repeating old ones, for it, causing Morgan to blush every time.

“What about wammer hammer?” Sean snickered, loudly. “Oooo! I’m gonna name our new cat Fluffy Lopart. Get it? Fluffy Low-part…and it’s a cat. A pussy cat named…” he cut off as he rolled to his side, laughing. I had to admit, that was pretty comical. You know, Sean reminds me, a little bit, of AJ.

“Alright…you guys have to leave. It’s getting late and I can’t handle any more of the dumb jokes.” Morgan rubbed her temple and sighed at, about half after…

“Holy Snickers bar! It’s after 10! Nick told me to be home at 10, I have got to hurry!” I started shoving my stuff, into my bag, and jumped to my feet.

“Shouldn’t you call Nick and let him know that we lost track of time and you’re on your way?” Morgan stood up and walked behind me, towards the front door.

“No, I just have to get home before he realizes it!” I gave her a quick hug and rushed out the door. I was so stupid to have forgotten my cell at home. Oh well, he was probably too busy working, to even notice. It’s just too bad, for me, that I was completely wrong. I got home to find Nick, waiting for me, by the front door and he did not look happy!
Chapter Thirty-Eight by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
I, greatly, appreciate all of the feedback that everyone has been leaving! Thanks a bunch!
“Glad to see that you decided to come home,” Nick crossed his arms. He raised an eyebrow at me, as he cocked his head to the side.

“Yeah, sorry, we lost track of time.” I dropped my bag and looked at him, hopeful that he would just drop the subject. I mean, I was only 45 minutes after curfew. It wasn’t really that big of a deal.

“I’m aware.” The irritation was very evident, in his eyes and his voice.

“How did you know?”

“Morgan called. Maybe you should listen to her more often. You probably wouldn’t be looking at a week of grounding, if you had.”

“WHAT?!? I’m grounded? That’s not fair!” I scrunched my eyebrows, as my voice got louder. “It was only 45 minutes!”

“You had a curfew, Baylee, and you broke it. Broken rules lead to grounding.”

“You can’t be serious! I was studying! It’s not like I was out running the streets or something and, besides, Morgan called you. What’s your problem?”

“Now, see, if you would have called and told me that you were at Morgan’s studying, lost track of time, and were on your way home…maybe things would be a bit different. But, no, you blatantly disregarded that responsibility and thus, you are grounded.”

“This is ridiculous. Morgan called you!”

“That’s right Morgan called me, to tell me what happened, which is a good thing because I had already called AJ to help me go out and look for you.” Nick uncrossed his arms and walked up to me. His face softened, as he looked down at me. “I am still your guardian, Baylee. I allow you to walk everywhere because I trust you. I trust you to go where you say you’re going, do what you say you’re going to do, and be back when you’re expected to be back.”

“Whatever,” I sighed, pursing my lips, and looking away. Nick’s hand grabbed my chin, making me to face him, again.

“I’m not your father, I get that. But you have to understand that I put these rules down, because I care what happens to you. When you aren’t home on time, and you don’t call, that’s my cue to start wondering what the hell happened.”

“Nothing happened!” I screamed, backing away from him. I huffed, as I started climbing the stairs. How could he be like this? He’s been so cool, lately. Why is he going back to being a dick?

“Don’t walk away from me, when I’m talking to you.”

“I’m going to bed.” Slinging my bag, over my shoulder, I continued up the stairs. I sighed loudly. This was bull! I’m grounded? For a week? Over 45 minutes?

“Check the attitude, Baylee. You don’t want me to tack on another week.” I didn’t bother, to respond. I stepped through my bedroom door and slammed it, as hard as I could. Sure, I knew that I had just earned that extra week, of grounding, but I was mad.

“This sucks!” I shouted, collapsing on my bed. I stayed there, staring at the ceiling for a good 15 minutes, before I stood back to my feet. Flinging open my closet door, I walked in, to grab a duffel bag. Throwing a few sets, of clothes, into it, I began to grab the essentials from my room. I stuffed my books into my back pack and tossed it out my window. After zipping up the duffel bag, I gently tossed it out, too.

Looking around my room, my eyes settled on my dad’s journal. I snatched it, off the night table, and then I turned out my light. I shook my head and started climbing out of my window. Within a matter of moments, I had my bags, on my shoulders, and I was quickly walking down the driveway.

“What are you doing here?” Morgan opened her door, for me to come in. “Wait…why do you have bags with you? Are you staying over, tonight?”

“I was hoping that it would be okay, if I did stay. I don’t want to be at Nick’s.” I sighed, setting my duffel bag, on the floor.

“Hey mom?” Morgan looked at me funny, before turning towards the kitchen.

“Yes, dear?” I followed Morgan, to the kitchen, and saw her mom look up from the dishes.

“Bay wants to stay over. Is that okay?” Lisa looked at me closely, and then turned back to Morgan. They both knew something was up and it was a sure thing, that they would have me talking, in no time.

“As long as my, unofficial, son tells me why he’s coming so late. Is something wrong sweetheart? Sit…we still have some cookies left.” Lisa waved a hand, towards the breakfast bar. Morgan and I both sat down.

“Nick freaked out, on me, again,” I sighed heavily, as Lisa set a plate, of cookies, in front of me and Morgan.

“Because you were late?” Morgan asked, knowingly.

“Yeah. It was only 45 minutes! It’s not that big of a deal.” I furrowed my eyebrows and took a large bite, off a cookie.

“Late? For what, dear?”

“He missed curfew, tonight. We lost track of time, while we were studying.” Morgan explained the situation, for me. I rubbed my hands, over my face, before running them through my hair.

“Well did you call, to let him know that you were running late?” Lisa rested her elbows, on the counter.

“No.”

“I called Nick, after Bay left. I didn’t want Nick to be worried.”

“You should have called him, Baylee. I’m sure he wouldn’t have been so upset. Parents worry when their child isn’t home on time. There are so many creeps out there, nowadays.” Lisa’s voice was soft and gentle but it infuriated me.

“I’m not his kid! He isn’t my father!” I shook my head, narrowing my eyes. I slammed down half the glass of milk and let my other fist fall to the counter.

“That’s your problem, Baylee.” Morgan tilted her head to the side. She looked at me with warmth and kindness, in her eyes…but, I guess, I decided to ignore it.

“Oh, okay. So, little Miss Psychologist, tell me. What is my problem?” Okay, so I was being snippy….I was irritated. Morgan is supposed to be on my side, not Nick’s. “Since you know everything, and your life is sooooooo perfect, go ahead and tell me what my problem is.” Morgan looked at me, with wide eyes, before letting out a sarcastic laugh.

“Okay, Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell, I’ll tell you. Your problem is that you are an ungrateful, unappreciative, stuck up, selfish, li…ttle…brat! Neeeews flash Nick cares about you, he worries about you, he loves you…and aaaaaall you can do is whine and complain about it. ‘Oh, Nick yelled at me.’ ‘Oh, Nick grounded me.’ ‘Nick’s not being fair, he won’t let me get a tattoo.’ ‘Nick’s so mean.’ You got some hair across your butt, just, because he isn’t your real dad!”

“What?!?” I looked at her in…in…shock, surprise, amazement, disbelief…

“Oh yeah and, you know, I am really getting sick of it. Don’t you think my mom would yell at me if I missed curfew and didn’t call? Yeah, she would. Do you think she would let me get a tattoo? No…why? Because she loves me and does her best, to protect me. Okay…we might not like it sometimes, and I have gotten mad about it too, but if it weren’t for their dumb rules…who knows what would happen to us!”

“Morgan, hunny, that’s enough now.” Lisa interrupted, as she cleared our plates.

“No, it’s okay. I want to hear what my, so-called, best friend really thinks of me.” I crossed my arms and leaned back, waiting for her to continue. I was appalled at how she was lecturing me.

“I love you Baylee and you are the best friend that I have. But, it really frustrates me, because you don’t flip out like this, if AJ tells you ‘no’. There is no fight, if Howie says you can’t do something. It’s only Nick and he never did anything, to deserve it. I understand that you don’t like getting yelled at, neither do I, but I don’t pack up and leave when I get yelled at.”

“He didn’t just yell at me, I’ll have you know!” My defenses were up and my temper was at a breaking point. It’s one of those things, you know? …No no one likes it when their flaws are pointed out to them…no one enjoys it, when their actions are proven foolish. I felt like a moron. I felt like a scolded two year old that was only stood three foot tall. “He grounded me, for a week, too. When I objected, he made it two weeks.”

“You’re grounded?!?” Lisa and Morgan chimed in, with wide eyes.

“Yeah, I know, right? Over a measly 45 minutes. How lame?” I scoffed, at the thought, figuring they would understand, now. Boy, was I wrong!

“Let’s go!” Morgan stood up and grabbed my bag, off the floor. She opened the door, wide, and motioned for me to exit.

“Where are we going?” I asked, still very annoyed.

“I am walking you home and we are going to continue this conversation, on the way.” Morgan gave me a little shove, forcing me out the door. Conversation? It was more like, just, another lecture. My blood boiled, thinking about how everyone seemed to gang up on me. Wasn’t my best friend supposed to see things the same way, as me? I wanted her support, her comfort, her understanding, her…sympathy.
Chapter Thirty-Nine by alota_cookin
The whole situation was really getting to me. I was mad that I got grounded. I was mad that Nick was mad. I was embarrassed and mad that Morgan said all of the things, that she did, and now, I was being dragged home like a scolded puppy! Come on, it’s not like I am two…I’m fifteen and I should be able to make my own choices.

Morgan and I walked, in silence. I didn’t dare to open my mouth and I don’t think she…

“Alright,” she stopped and faced me. “let me put this in perspective for you. Let’s imagine that Luke asked me out on a date…”

“Luke is a jerk.”

“I know. But he asks and I accept.”

“WHAT?!?!?” I scrunched my eyebrows, looking at her intently. This was not what I needed to hear, right now.

“I said ‘Let’s imagine’.” She rolled her eyes and pulled me down, to sit on the curb. “He says that he’s going to pick me up at 6 o’clock. I come, to you, and tell you all about it, and that I will come by at 8 o’clock, so I can tell you what happened on the date. You look at me, much like you are now, and tell me that I better be there right at 8 because you will be waiting to hear every detail.” She linked her fingers, and locked eyes with me.

“I don’t like where this is going,” I sighed, loudly.

“Alright, stay with me here. So, I go on the date and you are at home, doing whatever. Well soon it turns 8 o’clock, but I’m not there. You figure it’s no big deal; I must just be running a little late.” She giggled a little and continued, “Huh, the clock hits 8:15 and you start to pace the floor. You figure, ‘Oh, I’m sure she’s fine.’ but you can’t help yourself, as you make laps around your room.

“Now, it is 8:20 and I still haven’t shown up. Your eyes are locked on the clock as your mind begins to swirl with all the possibilities, of what could have gone wrong. The minutes drag out and the next 10 seem like a year, but now it’s 8:30…I’m still nowhere, in your sights. Did Luke try something? Did he talk me into it? Were we in an accident? Did some weirdo get me, while I was walking to your place? The possibilities are endless.” Her eyes stayed glued to mine, as she painted this picture in my head. I couldn’t say anything…what could I say?

“Ah…as if the minutes couldn’t tick by any slower. Panic sets in, as the clock flips to 8:35, and you’re looking out the curtains. It’s 8:37, and you’re calling my mom, frantically asking if she’s seen me…she hasn’t. What could be keeping me? I promised that I would be, at your house, by 8…now it’s 8:40. There is still no sign of me and there is a fresh hole, in the carpet, from your pacing.

“A millionth glance, to the clock, reveals that it is now 8:43. Panic is flowing through your veins as you think about horror movies and the crap you see, on the 10 o’clock news. Kidnappings, torture, murders, accidents, life threatening injuries…death…anything could have happened and there was no telling what it was. Now, it’s 8:44 and you’re ready to pull out your curls. Another glance at the clock…another lap around your room…8:45…another peek out the curtains reveals me, walking up the driveway. How do you feel, Baylee?”

“Are you insane?!?!? How could you make me worry, like that?!? Didn’t you think I would notice?” I stood to my feet and peered down at her. She had that glint, in her eye as I continued. “You said, you promised!” My voice rose. I could really feel the concern and panic, in my gut, as if it had really happened.

“Whoa…why are you upset?” She stood up, titling her head, acting all defensive.

“You said, that you made a promise to be there by 8 and you weren’t! Do you have any idea, how badly I would freak out?” Well? It was the truth! I care for Morgan more than any of my other friends…she’s tied with my family and the guys!

“Oh no, you can’t be mad at me, Baylee!” She shouted, crossing her arms. Stomping a foot and sticking out a lip she shouted, “That’s not fair!”

“Yeah, it is fair!” I scrunched my eyebrows and crossed my arms. “If you would have been there when you said, you would be, I wouldn’t get mad!”

“You’re so mean!” She took a step towards me, bringing her nose, almost, to mine. Her voice dropped, to barely above, a whisper, “it was only 45 minutes, Baylee.” The realization, of what she had just done, hit me.

“I hate it, when you do that,” I sighed, in defeat. My arms uncrossed and dropped to my sides. I hung my head, a little, and sat back down on the curb.

“Not a good feeling, is it?” Oh, I knew it couldn’t be that easy…she was going to drag this out a little more juuuuuuust to make sure that I got the point.

“No, and I get what you’re trying to do.” I rolled my eyes and let out a deep sigh, “I guess, I owe Nick an apology.”

“See? I knew that you’d come, to your senses.” She giggled as we continued on the path, to my place. It wasn’t long before we were walking up the driveway. I turned to Morgan and gave her a hug. I was taken by surprise when she grabbed my shirt collar, stopping me from heading to the tree.

“What? I thought I was going back up to my room.”

“You thought wrong,” she tilted her head and dragged me, by the shirt, to the front door.

“No, Morgan! You can’t! He’s going to be so mad,” I looked at her, with pleading eyes. She wouldn’t really make me face Nick, right now, would she?

“You knew that, when you snuck out. It’s time to face the music, Baylee, and you know it.” Her hand reached out and, before I could stop her, she rang the doorbell. I hung my head, as the front door swung open.

“Yo, Nick! Come see what the Morgan dragged in!” AJ shouted, laughing at his own dumb joke. I stood, stiff and silent, waiting for the storm.

“Oh, thank God!” Nick came running into the room. I could have passed out, when he pulled me into a hug…what did AJ give him?

“Nick…I…you were right. I shouldn’t have broken curfew and…when I did, I should have called. I was wrong to argue with you and…” I drew in a deep breath. Talk about a blow to a guy’s pride, especially with Morgan and AJ watching the whole scene. I really…really wanted to dig my self a hole, at that point. Sure, it was my fault that I was even in the situation, making this apology…but it didn’t make it any easier. Hey, do me a favor and remind me not to put myself in these positions, anymore?

“Baylee…” Nick started to interject, but I cut him off. Maybe that was another no-no, but I did it anyways. If I didn’t get it all said, then it might never get said.

“Sneaking out wasn’t right, either…and it didn’t help anything. You’re my guardian and…” another sigh escaped my lips. This was hard! “…I need to get over the fact that you aren’t my dad because you’re the closest thing I’ve got, now. Shall we agree on three weeks? Is that fair?” I hung my head, as I finished my ‘speech’. The thought, of a three week grounding, made me groan, inwardly.

“Baylee…” Nick started to chuckle…he CHUCKLED! What was up with that? “You aren’t entirely to blame.”

“Say what?!?” My head popped up to look, at Nick, and then I glanced at Morgan and AJ. AJ had a satisfied look, on his face, and Morgan just smiled.

“I may have…overreacted…a little. Breaking curfew and not calling me does require some form of punishment, but I may have…jumped the gun, a little. I was worried and upset and I wasn’t thinking straight…I shouldn’t have been so harsh.”

“Is he feeling okay?” I pointed my thumb, at Nick, and looked back, at AJ.

“Yes, I’m fine. I decided that we could call it good at a week and a half, of grounding…half a week for breaking curfew; half for your arguing and bad attitude; and half for sneaking out and scaring me, half to death.” Nick offered me a small smile.

“Really?” I looked at him skeptically, “You’re serious?” He responded with a nod. I smiled back and we hugged again. “I’m really sorry, Nick.”

“I know you are,” he responded, as we continued to hug. As we broke apart, we locked eyes again, “Now, say good night to Morgan and head up to bed.” He gave me instruction before leaving the room, with AJ.

“Um…about my comment, earlier…you know…the whole ‘so called’ best friend thing…” I rubbed the back of my neck. Will this constant feeling, of being a complete foolish moron, ever leave me?

“I know, Bay.” She grinned and stepped into my arms. I tightened my grip, around her, as the scent of her shampoo drifted to my nose. Mmmm…strawberries! “I’ll see you in school, on Monday.” Pulling away from me, she turned to the door. My fingers wrapped, around her arm, as I gently turned her back to me.

“Morgan,” My right hand reached up, to cup the side of her face, and our eyes locked. “You…you really are my best friend and I…” I swallowed the lump, in my throat, as I looked down at her. There was something in her eyes, but for once, I couldn’t read what it was. “…I don’t know what I would do, without you.” Her crimson cheeks didn’t go unnoticed, by the way, but I didn’t ruin the moment by pointing it out.

“You’d be stuck taking advice from Sean,” she snickered, not taking her eyes from mine.

“Let’s not even think about that.” I chuckled, with her. I leaned down, my voice growing softer. “I owe you, Morgs. Thanks, for everything.” Closing my eyes, I laid a soft kiss, on her forehead.

“You don’t owe me anything, Bay.” She shrugged and lifted her hand, brushing it through my curls. “We’re friends…we’re supposed to be there for each other.”

“I know.” I offered a small smile. I turned around to see Nick walking through, towards the kitchen. “Hey, Nick. Will you take Morgan home? I don’t want her walking back, this late, by herself.”

“Sure,” Nick nodded. He grabbed his keys and started pulling on his shoes.

“Night, Morgan,” I whispered, looking down into her eyes, again.

“Good-night, Baylee.” She hugged me again. She walked, with Nick, out to the car. I stood there, until they were out of sight, before I went to my room. Flopping onto my bed, once I got there, I opened dad’s journal.

December 13, 2005

Dear Journal –

Leighanne LOST Baylee!!!!!!!! …
End Notes:
I know...I'm cruel, mean and twisted...sorry! Please don't hurt me, LOL!
Chapter Forty by alota_cookin
…So, Leighanne, Baylee, and I went to the mall today. We planned on doing some last minute Christmas shopping. After an hour, of roaming the mall, we bumped into Nick. Leighanne said she was going to look at shoes…go figure. I watched her take a hold of Baylee’s hand, and walk away. Okay…does that, typically, mean that she is going to watch him? I thought it did, so I went into Game Stop with Nick.

After a half hour, Nick and I headed to find Leighanne and Baylee, so that we could all get something to eat. We stroll into a store and find Leighanne trying on shoes, but I didn’t see Bay. I asked her where he was and she said that she thought I was watching him! This terribly confused me!

Nick and I rushed out of the store and began the search for him. I didn’t see any mall security anywhere and I, definitely, couldn’t hear him crying or anything. Both of us were panicked, BIG time! Suddenly, I heard someone shouting my name. Spinning around, I saw a 20-something woman walking our way. Holding onto her finger was my son! It turns out that she was a fan and recognized him, immediately. She was trying to find security, when she spotted us.

Thank goodness for a caring fan! Baylee wasn’t even crying! So…I asked her to join us, for lunch. At first, she refused but I gave her my goofy grin…oh yeah, I can still make ‘em melt! At any rate, I finally convinced her that buying her lunch was the least I could do. We tracked down my wife and all went to eat.

Guess what…

NICK’S GOT A DATE!!! They really hit it off and he asked her to see a movie tomorrow night. She was hesitant, at first, but that Carter smirk…I tell ya, it’s as deadly as my goofy grin! Poor girl didn’t stand a chance!

So, all in all, Baylee is just fine and Nick scored a date. Sure, the whole thing scared me out of my mind, but it all turned out okay. Baylee is NEVER going shoe shopping, with his mom again, I can tell you that much!


“My mother lost me…shoe shopping?!?!?! That’s depressing!” I shook my head, closing the journal, with a chuckle. I gently set it on the night table, before pulling off my shirt. I finished getting ready for bed. It was late and it had been a long day.

Being a brat really takes a lot out of a guy! I hated to admit it, but Morgan was right, about everything. Is it me, or is she one of those abnormally mature people? I mean, I know she’s super smart, and everything, but…I dunno…she seems so much more level headed than me and Sean. Maybe it’s just a chick thing.

After a restless night’s sleep, I awoke to a knock on the door. I groaned loudly. It was Sunday and I wanted to sleep in. Reluctantly, I rolled out of bed and swung open the door.

“Guess what?!?” Mason rushed, into my room.

“What, Mase?”

“Nick talked to my dad, yesterday!” He was absolutely beaming. I knew there was more to the story, but wasn’t sure if I was going to be as excited about it, as he was.

“Yeah? And?”

“You know that Spring Break is coming soon…”

“Uhuh…” I sat down, on the edge of my bed. Looking up at him, I waved for him to continue.

“Nick also talked to my Grandma.” I raised an eyebrow, watching him clap his hands. This must be something big. “Nick is going to start going to dad’s counseling sessions and stuff…”

“Where are you going with this, Mason, and are you planning to get there anytime today?” I was starting to get anxious. Even my little cousin can build the suspense, I guess.

“Well, we’re going to keep up with our visits, too. Then…guess what?!?!”

“Not a clue.”

“Nick is taking you, me and my dad all out, to spend Spring Break on, the Littrell family farm!!! The whole family helps to keep it running and, now, we’ll get to help, too!” He was practically squealing!

“WHAT?!?!?” I jumped to my feet, looking him dead in the eyes. All I could picture was myself, in overalls and missing a front tooth! I don’t want to chase chickens and milk cows…just…eew!

“Yeah! They think it will be great for dad. The counselor lady says that it’s still too soon for dad to go back to his normal responsibilities, or whatever, but this will allow him to be around family and it will help him with his rehabilitation!” He jumped around, spitting out a word that, I’m not sure he even understood. Honestly, I was not really pleased, over this.

“NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!” I screamed, barreling past Mason. Like Mason said, staying on the family farm meant helping with the family farm. I didn’t want to spend my Spring Break in a corn field!

“I take it, Mason went up there and told you everything, even after I told him not to?” Nick lifted his eyes, from the newspaper, as I came rushing into the kitchen.

“I don’t want to spend break, on the farm! Wasn’t I going to get a say, in this?”

“Sit. I’ll explain…”

Okay, so a long story, short. The people, at the rehab center, think it would help Kevin to have time around family. The family’s support is supposed to help him, with his recovery. From what Nick said, when they found out about the family’s farm, they decided that it would be a great place for him to “get away” from the normal pressures of life…or whatever. Basically, I have no choice. Dig out the blue jean overalls, and look out cows, ‘cuz here I come! Yippy…freakin’…skippy!

Thank the heavens; I have about a month, before this happens. Maybe if I complain enough…then again, I know what everyone (mainly Morgan) is going to say, “Stop being selfish, Baylee. This is to help Kevin with his sobriety.” Blah, blah, stinkin’ blah!

I was supposed to be grounded, but Nick made an exception later that night, and took us out for karaoke and pizza. It was a school night, and we couldn’t stay out too late, but it would get my mind off the whole farm thing. AJ, Mason, Sean, Morgan, Nick and I all filed into the building. Finding a booth, in the back, we all sat and ordered our food. It didn’t take long for Nick, and AJ, to get up and sing a song. The song was almost over, but our laughter wasn’t.

“Who let the dogs out?” Nick sang loudly, as the song.

“WOOF!...WOOF! WOOF!...WOOF! WOOF!” AJ barked, into the microphone. The four, of us kids, were in tears from laughing so hard.

“Who let the dogs out?” Nick was enjoying this song, a little, too much!

“WOOF!...WOOF! WOOF!...WOOF! WOOF!” AJ was leaning over our table, and we barked along with him. The ending notes trailed off, and they rejoined the table. We, quickly, ate our food. Now, it was my turn. Grabbing Sean’s arm, I dragged him to the stage. I cleared my throat, and prepared to sing. I snickered, as I heard the opening notes. Time to be ridiculously, over dramatic!

“O baby, baby!”

“How was I supposed to know?” Sean dramatically sang the words, to the crowd.

“O baby, baby, I shouldn’t have let you gooooo!”

“Show me,” we chimed together, both terribly off key, “how you want it tooooo beeee.”

“Tell me babyyyy,” Sean fought to hold back his laughter. “ ‘cuz I need to knoooow now…”

“…what we’ve got!” I shook my shoulders, just like the singer…what was her name? It doesn’t matter. Anyways, we barely made it through the song. I just about lost it, when Nick shot Pepsi, out his nose!

Mason ended up singing the guy’s song, ‘Just Want You to Know’ and completely nailed it! Now, Morgan was approaching the stage. Our food was gone, and once she was done, we would be heading home. I must admit, I was in a MUCH better mood.

“I kissed a girl, and I liked it!” My jaw dropped, as Morgan belted out the song. AJ, just about, choked on his iced tea and started coughing. “The taste of her cherry Chapstick!”

“I had no idea!” Sean whispered, with a chuckle.

“I kissed a girl, just to try it!” She shimmied around, making those girly innocent looks. “I hope my boy…friend don’t mind it!” Slinking her shoulders around, she touched a finger, to her lips. “It felt so wrong…it felt so right…it don’t mean…I’m in…love to…night.”

“Me, either,” I finally responded, to Sean’s comment. I was stunned, to say the least, at how much she got into it! I mean, obviously, she know the song and…liked it…okay, I’m creeped out! After the song ended, we all stood. Morgan walked up to us, and we headed out to the cars.

I looked at Morgan funny, as we climbed into the back. I still hadn’t told her and Sean about the spring break trip, to the farm. I knew Sean would be out to visit his mom that week, but, Morgan…well…she would probably spend her break reading, now. Everyone else was still pretty hyper, but my mind had drifted off.

I was happy to get back home and crawl into bed. Once I was there, I buried my head into my pillow and waited for sleep to come.
End Notes:
None of the lyrics are mine...all rights belong to those who wrote and sing them...not to me!
Chapter Forty-One by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone, that is still sticking with this story, I appreciate it! Thanks for all the feedback, too. ;-)
December 16, 2005

Dear Journal –

Christmas is getting closer! I think I am more excited than Baylee is! Baylee and I are meeting up with Nick, in the morning, to do some more shopping. I need to get something nice for Leighanne, but I’m not sure what it will be. All of Baylee’s gifts are wrapped and hidden, already. I am so excited…I just can’t wait to watch my little man open his gifts!

Oh, remember how I was talking about the fan that found Baylee? Well, Nick did take her out, that night and they’ve been out every night since! I do declare, I think Nicky might have himself a girlfriend. Okay…let me see if I can remember her name…

Uh-oh…I’m being called…I better go.

-Brian


I set the journal down on the bed, beside me. Sighing, I rubbed my hands over my face, letting my fingers run through my hair and link behind my head. My eyes wandered around the room. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading my dad’s journal, but, it’s kind of depressing, too. I miss my family so much! Not that Nick, Kevin, Mason and everyone aren’t my family…it’s just that…well…you know what I mean.

It took me forever to get to sleep, and, before I knew it, my alarm was screeching. I slapped at it, without opening my eyes, trying to find the snooze button. Covering my head with my biggest pillow, only trying, to block out what I knew had to come. Maybe I dozed back off, or maybe I just zoned out, but I jumped at a loud know on my door. Before I could answer, the door flung open.

“Go away, Morgan.” I groaned, not bothering to open my eyes, or roll over.

“Yeah, wrong friend, Bay.”

“Sean?” I sat up, turning and looking over at him. “What are you doing here? You know if Morgan sees you here, she’ll make you go on the morning run, with us.”

“I don’t have anything to worry about, because I don’t think she’ll be coming.” Sean cleared his throat. Now, I knew something was up.

“What?!?” I bolted, from my covers, sitting up and scrunching my eyebrows. “What do you mean she’s not coming? She never misses our run!”

“Well…You know Matt, right?”

“Yeah…the sax player, in band.” I nodded, anxiously. Standing, I headed to my closet. Rummaging around, I grabbed a pair of baggy khakis, my dad’s old Buccaneers jersey…from a game that he and Nick went to…and a sweatshirt.

“He’s a trombone player,” Sean rolled his eyes. “Anyways, he lives in the same building as Morgan and he called me this morning. He told me, that there were paramedics, in Morgan’s apartment, really late, last night.”

“Parame…are you kidding me?!?” I finished pulling the jersey over my head. Sean just shook his head, verifying that he was not joking. “Come on.” I grabbed my phone and flipped off the light, heading downstairs. Sean followed closely, as I made my way into the kitchen. Sure enough, Mason and Nick were at the table, eating.

“Morning, boys,” Nick greeted, with a lopsided grin, milk trailing down his chin.

“Nick, I gotta skip school. Matt called Sean, and told him that paramedics were in Morgan’s apartment last night! We have to go to the hospital and find out what happened.” I rushed through the explanation, hoping Nick would understand. I knew I was supposed to be grounded, but didn’t this qualify as an emergency?

“How about you call? They might be home, by now.” Nick suggested, tilting his head, and getting up. He left to get ready for a meeting and Mason was close behind, so he could prepare for school. Maybe Nick was right. I flipped open my phone and hit the speed dial.

“Gooooood Mooooorniiiiing!” I jumped, at the voice, dropping my phone and spinning around.

“Morgan?!?” Sean and I both questioned, scrambling to the foyer. Sure enough, there she was, with light rain coat, draped over her shoulders.

“Hey guys!” She was chipper, yet kind of spacey looking. My eyes stayed glued, to her, watching her drop her backpack.

“What happened?!?” Sean asked, impatiently. I tried to hide my smile, as I saw the look on his face. Have I ever mentioned that Sean has the BIGGEST crush, on Morgan? He told me about it, years ago, but I can tell that it still exists. I don’t think Morgan has a clue…I’ve never brought it up, obviously.

“What are you talking about?” She just smiled, as she shrugged off the coat. She turned, to her right, and hung up the coat. When she turned back, we got our answer.

“What did you do?!?” My eyes widened, taking in the cast, on her right arm.

“Nothing major…I just broke my arm, is all,” she shrugged, as if it were no big deal. I knew that she must be on some good painkiller because she doesn’t tolerate pain very well. I’ve watched her cry over smaller injuries, than this.

“How?” Sean questioned, as we all headed into the kitchen. I began to rummage around in the kitchen drawer, as she explained her accident.

“I was climbing up, on a chair, to get mom’s crock pot down, for her. She’s making her famous pot roast, for tonight. I was told you are both invited! Anyways…I was trying to get it down, but the cord got stuck. I didn’t realize it was caught, so I went to get down and the cord stopped me. I lost my footing and fell.” She dazedly stared off, in front of her.

“You are always getting yourself hurt, Morgan. Isn’t this the third cast, of yours, that I’ve had to sign?” I asked, lifting a brow. I sat down, next to her, a red Sharpie marker in hand. I neatly wrote a little note, signing below it, and started to doodle on the pink cast. Just like the other times, I would end up doodling on it every day, until she got it removed.

“I want to sign too!” Sean piped up, giving me a look.

“There’s a blue one, in the drawer,” I responded, not looking up from the cast. “So…exactly how did your arm get broken, though? You said you fell but…”

“Oh…right…I landed on it. I probably would have been okay, but the chair broke my fall…and my arm. Luckily, the crock pot was okay.” She let out a small giggle.

“You scream?” I already knew the answer, but couldn’t resist asking. Morgan laughed at me and hit my arm, with her other hand.

“Of course, I did. I wailed, like a little baby.”

“Why didn’t you call us? I heard about the paramedics, from Matt! He called me this morning, to tell me about it. I was worried!” Sean sat across from us, and quickly jotted his name, on the cast.

“I didn’t think you guys would hear about it, before I saw you this morning. Sorry.” She looked down at the cast that ran, from her upper arm, down to her hand.

“It’s okay. We’re just happy it wasn’t anything more serious.” I smiled at her. Getting up from the table, I capped the marker and shoved it into my pocket…I would need it again later, when I was bored in class. “I gotta go grab my backpack. I’ll be right down.” I quickly made my way up the stairs and into my room. After grabbing me bag, I poked my head into Mason’s room.

“See ya, Mase. Have a good day.” I smiled, at my younger cousin, who was desperately combing his hair down.

“Bye, Bay!” I closed his door and headed downstairs. Picking up Morgan’s bag, I reentered the kitchen.

“You guys ready?”

“Yeah,” the both answered, getting up. Morgan walked towards me, and tried to take her bag…not like I let her.

“I got it. You’re injured.” I gave her a cheesy smile, as Sean draped the coat, back, over her shoulders. I slung Morgan’s bag over my shoulder and carried mine by the top handle. Sean closed the door, behind us, and we set off to school.
Chapter Forty-Two by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long...I'll try not to make you wait for the next one.
“Morgan Smith, please come to the office. Morgan Smith, to the office!” I looked up, at Morgan, raising an eyebrow. We were in the middle of 3rd hour, homeroom, and I had been sketching on her cast, while she rambled on about our upcoming Government essay.

“Someone’s in trouuuuuubleee!” I snickered, quietly, as she stood and gathered her books. “Hey, leave those and I’ll grab them, after class.” I smiled. Sean and I had been helping her, all morning, with her things, since she couldn’t really carry them with a broken arm.

“Thanks, Bay,” she grinned back, before grabbing, just, her notebook and heading out the door. After the bell rang, I stopped at her locker and dialed her combination, before setting her books inside. I snatched her Algebra book, as Sean approached me. Normally, the three of us had Algebra together, but Morgan wasn’t out of the office, yet.

“So, do you know what she’s in for?” Sean asked, as we carried our lunch trays, to our table. Algebra passed by agonizingly slow and I was thankful when the lunch bell rang.

“Not a clue.” I sighed, as we sat down. I bit into my pizza, listening to Sean ramble. Okay, I wasn’t really listening, but I was good at faking it.

“Hey,” Morgan huffed, sitting down by me.

“Morgan!” Sean smiled widely. I couldn’t help it, at this point; I just let it all out. Maybe my timing wasn’t good, but this was when I told them everything about the big trip, to the farm, for spring break. Explaining the situation, and reasons behind is, irritated me all over again. Sean just snickered, no doubt, at the idea of me on a farm. Morgan’s eyes popped out of their sockets. I was ready for her ‘it’s the right thing to do’ lecture.

“WHAT?!?! Are you serious? He can’t do that! That is the most absurd, preposterous thing I have ever heard! How can he be that inequitable? It’s a completely demented thing, to force something that doltish on you! What is he thinking? Just because he has legal guardianship, doesn’t mean he can be so atrocious, just handing out unconscionable demands! Why do adults think they can be so prodigious, like we don’t even get a say in our own lives! It’s ludicrous and…and…and thickheaded and…and harebrained! Every last one of them are farcical and it’s completely unfair! I can’t take the incredulous things they decide to force on us, just because they can! It’s just plain irrational malarkey!!!!”

“Wow,” I looked at her, in amazement. It wasn’t exactly the response I was expecting, from her. “Even when she throws a temper tantrum, she sounds smarter than us!”

“I am NOT smarter than you! I’m not smarter than ANYone! This is all a bunch of poppycock! Won’t everyone just lay off the ‘smart girl’ crap? I am so sick of being a geek! As a matter of fact, I’m going to join the cheerleading team!”

“Wait,” Sean grabbed her arm, as she started to stand. “I’m confused. I thought poppies were plants…I didn’t think plants had cocks.”

“Yeah. And, besides that, it’s cheerleading squad, not cheerleading team.” I added, watching Morgan’s face.

“Aaaaah!” Her face turning shades of red that I had never seen. I watched her storm off, in the direction of the cheerleaders.

“Um…do you think she’ll be even more upset when she finds out that tryouts are looooooong over?” Sean questioned, popping a chip into his mouth.

“Actually, they’re holding tryouts next week. Didn’t you hear? Samantha flunked out, in three classes, and got kicked off the squad. I thought I told you that.”

“Oh yeah, you did, and Jimbo was talking about that, too. He dated her last semester, you know.” Sean lifted an eyebrow as we watched Morgan interact with the cheerleaders. “I can’t imagine her, as a cheerleader.”

“I don’t think anyone can, Sean. I’m not sure what’s going on, with her…my issues with Nick have never set her off, like that, before.” I let my fingers comb through my curls, as I contemplated the situation. “It has something to do with whatever happened, in the office. It has to, there’s no other explanation.”

“Agreed. But, how are we going to get her to calm down enough, to talk to us?” Sean looked at me, before returning his gaze to her. We both let out a long sigh, just as the warning bell rang.

I tried to talk to Morgan, off and on, all day, but it was useless. She was doing everything to avoid the topic and would just change the subject. After school was no different, she was even slacking, when it came to our homework. Overall, she was not acting like herself, at all.

“What do you think her deal is?” Sean asked, from his position, on my bed, the following day. “You think it’s something big?”

“Beats me. I haven’t gotten her to talk, either,” I shrugged, sifting through my desk drawer. I told Mason that I would let him borrow my protractor, but I couldn’t, for the life of me, find it.

“Maybe one of us should talk to Lisa,” he suggested. “Something is seriously wrong with her…she’s gonna try out for cheerleading!!”

“I know, Sean. The tryouts are next Monday!” I slammed the drawer, before opening another. A soft knock tapped on my door. “Enter!” I shouted, not looking up.

“Did you find it, Baylee? I really need it to finish my homework!” He sighed.

“I’m sorry Mase, I haven’t found it yet. Why do you need it so bad? I thought you had one.” I spun around in my desk chair, gliding across my room, to the other desk. I had been looking in my normal desk but hadn’t looked in the drawers of my computer desk, yet.

“I told you…mine got broken, today, and I have to get a new one.” He rolled his eyes, stepping into the room.

“WOOOO!” I threw my hands in the air, before tossing the found treasure to Mason. “I knew I had one somewhere! There ya go.”

“Hey Mason,” Sean piped up, stopping him from leaving the room. “Sit down and talk with us. We’re trying to figure out the mystery, that is Morgan. Chicks are complicated…the sooner you start learning about them, the better. Although, does one ever really learn about chicks?”

“Um…okay,” Mason shrugged and sat down, by Sean. Opening the small refrigerator, Sean tossed me a soda and handed one to Mason, before opening one for himself. “So, what are you trying to figure out?”

“Morgan’s hiding something.”

“I think it’s more than that, Sean.” I rolled my eyes, spinning around in my chair.

“Maybe it’s something she doesn’t want you to know,” Mason raised an eyebrow.

“It’s not that simple. She never hides things from us…well…except one thing that she’s hiding from…you know what, never mind.” Sean fell backwards, covering his eyes, with his arm.

“He’s right.” I sighed, “there’s one thing that she’s hiding from me…that Sean knows all about. But, other than that, she tells us, both, everything. This has got to be big. Plus, she’s just plain acting, really, weird.”

“Well…” Mason rubbed his chin, “maybe it’s something embarrassing.”

Things went on like this for hours. It was really cool having Mason there, too. The three of us got sidetracked on other subjects, too, but we kept coming back to Morgan. Nick ordered us take out Thai food and we raided the kitchen, for snacks. It was well past our bed time, before we finally settled down, for bed. Mason went to his room, and Sean settled into his usual guest room, while I cracked open dad’s journal.

December 21, 2005

Dear Journal,

Hey! It’s been crazy around here! Christmas is fast approaching and the excitement is growing with every second. Baylee’s eyes light up every time he goes in the living room, and sees that big tree. Leighanne won’t let him shake any of his gifts. Don’t tell her, but I let him pick them up every now, and then. It heightens the excitement and anticipation, if you ask me!

Nick and AJ stopped by, today. AJ was about ready to hang Nick, though, because he won’t shut his mouth about Ashley. Nick has been seeing her a lot, since that day in the mall. He even picked her up, from work, yesterday! AJ’s latest chick screwed him over…big surprise…and they broke up last week. He’s been pretty sour, ever since then. Poor guy…I really hope that he finds the right girl, someday, soon.

Well, it’s been a long day. I wrote a little early tonight, and still have to get Bay into his jammies. AJ bought him a new book that we are going to read for bedtime. The book is about trains and Baylee is excited to read it. So…I am off to take care of that. Night.

-Brian Thomas Littrell
Chapter Forty-Three by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
*bites nails* I'm a little worried about this chapter...I hope none of you decide to throw rotten fruit, at me!
December 30, 2005

Dear Journal –

Oh man! The holidays were CRAZY! We were so busy with family stuff…it was insane. Baylee had a blast and got completely spoiled! We went to visit all sorts of family and I think I have had enough turkey and ham to last me through the whole year!!! I think we have all gained about 50 pounds, or more!

We haven’t gone to see Leighanne’s family yet…our plans are to do that next week. Anyways, we had the big Littrell dinner, on Christmas night. Do you have ANY idea how many people that consists of? There’s my grandparents, parents, all the aunts and uncles, all my cousins with their spouses and children…the family farm was CRAWLING with people! I love our family holidays. That farm has been in the family for generations and all our family gatherings are held there.

No one really lives on the farm, anymore, but most everyone helps with the upkeep, when they can. It’s a ways outside of Lexington, but it is SOOOO worth the drive! We actually have pigs and chickens, plus a huge corn field! Back in the day, they had cows, too. Anyways, it takes a lot to keep it running, but we have a lot of family, too. Surprisingly, everyone finds time to help out. I just wish I had more time, to spend there because I have always enjoyed being on the farm.

I even took Baylee up, into the loft, and played Hide-and-Seek in the hay! It was a blast, but Leighanne told me, when we were done, that we smelled and needed to take a shower! Kevin was standing there, at the time, and made some smart remark something like “Oh, that’s not from the hay, Brian just naturally stinks!” Now, I expect that stuff from Nick and AJ, but from my own flesh and blood? Come on…where’s the love?

Speaking of Kevin…the family holiday went really smooth. He was acting pretty normal…not all uptight and grouchy, like he has been. It was almost like we never had any of those fights. We even had a wrestling match, in the back yard, like we used to do, when we were kids. I know, now, that there is something behind his recent behavior. But, what is it? Whatever has been going on stopped, over the holidays, and it was nice.

After we got back, we had the Backstreet holiday. That went pretty darn well, too. I am hoping that Kevin is permanently back to his old self and the attitude doesn’t return, after the holidays are over. Anyways, AJ and Nick took Baylee to the toy store and let him pick out whatever he wanted. I swear those two men spent more on my son, then they did for their own families! Okay…our house is huge and Baylee has a really big room, plus a toy room and I STILL don’t know where we are going to put all this stuff! Yeah…it’s that bad! We all had a nice dinner, though, and had a good evening. It wasn’t too over the top, but it was pleasant. Kevin and I brought our families, Howie brought his girlfriend Leigh, Nick brought Ashley (who is now, the official girlfriend! Whoot…go Nickers!), and Denise came with AJ. Everyone got along, really well, too!!!

YIKES! Look how long I have been sitting here writing away! Leighanne went out, with her friends, and is due back at any time. I promised that I would clean the kitchen and straighten up the family room…I guess I better run and do that, huh? You know…I think Nick’s procrastination habits are rubbing off on me.

-Brian


I snapped the journal shut.

So dad loved the farm, huh? Sounds like I used to enjoy it, a bit, myself. Perhaps I should be a little more open, to this idea. I wonder if there are any pictures, from those family holidays. Why does this have to be so hard, though? I miss my dad so much and I wish I could have him back, just for a day…just ONE day. Sure, I see him in my dreams, but it’s not the same. This trip, to the farm, is just going to make me miss him more! I’ll have to remember, to climb up into the loft, while I’m there.

I sighed, loudly, sitting up. It had already been a week, since Morgan’s outburst and I was no closer to figuring out what had caused it! Sean and I had been trying, like hell, to get her to open up…we were getting absolutely NOwhere!! Whatever it was, had caused her whole attitude to change. The first time I scored better on a test, than she did, I was all happy and excited. The second time, I was a little suspicious…but then, the third time? Yeah…I knew something was really wrong. Sean and I were beyond surprised to find that she actually did try out for cheerleading and were completely shocked when she MADE THE SQUAD!!!

Morgan didn’t show up, for our runs, anymore so I just sat, in my room, reading instead. I still had a half hour, before I needed to start getting ready. Running my fingers, through my hair, I let out a frustrated sigh.

“Screw this! I can’t take it, anymore!” I huffed, getting up and pulling on a shirt. I grabbed my stuff, and headed downstairs. Nick and Mason must have still been sleeping because no one was downstairs. I opened the front door and flipped on the front light. Within 15 minutes, I was knocking on her apartment door.

“Hello, Baylee, dear.” Lisa greeted, opening the door.

“Where is she?” I asked, a bit irritated. I tried not to sound so upset, but I couldn’t help it because Morgan was driving me nuts. “Is she back to normal, yet?”

“She’s in her room and what do you mean ‘back to normal’?”

“She’s been acting funny, ever since she got called to the principal’s office, last week.” I explained, looking at her with confusion.

“What are you doing here?” Morgan’s voice interrupted, before her mom was able to answer. Lisa took that as her cue, to leave the room.

“I came to talk to you.” I gave her the ‘duh’ look. Really, she should have already know the answer, to that!

“Well, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” She tried to hide it, but there was something in her eyes. I could see it. Her words weren’t reflecting her real feelings…something was seriously wrong. “Honestly, Baylee…I don’t think we should hang out anymore.”

My mouth dropped…I was dumbfounded! What did she mean by that? Was this some kind of mean joke? “Huh?” My voice came out as more of a squeak, than anything.

“Trust me,” her eyes floated, down, to the floor. “it’s for the best, that we don’t remain friends.”

“Are you two okay?” Lisa questioned, coming back into the kitchen. “What’s wrong?”

“Baylee was just leaving.” Morgan replied, looking up at me sternly. “Weren’t you…Baylee?”

“Uh…” I tried to swallow the lump that had settled in my throat. I blinked, a few times, thinking that Morgan would start laughing and tell me that she got me good. Her face didn’t crack though. “Ye…yeah…right…leaving…” I just looked at her, for a moment, with scrunched eyebrows and a frown.

“Well…bye then!” She rested a hand, on her hip, waiting for me to leave. I finally got my legs to move and when they did…boy did they! I ran all the way home and right up to my room. I slammed the door shut, throwing my backpack across the room. This was a mess! My whole life is a freakin mess!

“How could she!?!” I screamed, into the emptiness of my room. I wiped a stray tear as I began tearing through my stuff. I slammed things around, as I gathered everything that reminded me, of her.

“What is going on, in here?” Nick questioned, barging through my door, a concerned look on his face.

“It’s none of your business!” I screamed, as I whipped around, coming to face him. “Just stay out of it! It’s not like you even care! Thanks for pretending though!”

“Whoa, wait just a dog on minute! Why don’t you just start by telling me why you aren’t on your way, to school?” He raised his eyebrows, looking to me, for an answer.

“I’m not going to school! I just can’t…not today.”

“Uh…yeah…you are.”

“NO I’M NOT! My best friend just dumped me! ‘It’s for the best.’ She says…what the fuck does she know?!? Huh?” I screamed, with everything in me, as I tossed a teddy bear that she gave me, across the room.

“Morgan what?”

“She told me that we shouldn’t be friends anymore! How can we not be friends anymore? I don’t get it…we’re supposed to be friends forever! You don’t understand! She’s the only thing that keeps me sane! I can’t lose my best friend…it’s not fair!” I collapsed, to the floor, leaning against my bed and letting my head fall into my hands.

“I know how you feel. Losing a best friend is the worst. You feel like a part of you dies.” Nick’s voice was soft and sympathetic, as he took a seat, next to me. “I don’t think Morgan can stand not being your friend, Baylee. She’ll come around. You said she hasn’t been herself, lately. Just give her time…she loves you, too, you know.”

“Why? Why does everything have to be so messed up, Nick? I miss mom and dad, Aunt Kristin is gone, Uncle Kevin is a mess, Mason has to live with us, I don’t want to go to the stupid farm, you can’t even have your own life because of me, my best friend has been acting weird and now she’s rejecting me…will ANYthing ever be normal?”

“Aw, Bay,” Nick pulled me into a hug. I was breaking down, like a stupid little baby, and I was powerless to stop it. Crying in front of Nick was something I didn’t do…I hated showing what a wimp I really was. “Normal isn’t in our vocabulary. I know it’s never been in mine. You know how messed up my family and life have always been. I know how frustrating it is because there’s nothing you can do about it.”

“It’s like my world keeps crashing down, around me, and I don’t have any control, over anything.”

“Yeah…that sounds about right.” Nick nodded. “I think we need a vacation. Too bad that ours is going to be on a stinky farm…with a grumpy old Kevin.”

“This really is going to suck, isn’t it?” I sighed and slumped my shoulders. At least, I wasn’t the only one dreading this trip.

“Um…I don’t know. It’s going to be interesting, that’s for sure.” Nick’s face reflected his uncertainty about the whole thing. I could tell that he was nervous about the trip…I’m pretty sure that we all were, except Mason, maybe.

“Do we have to go?”

“Ha…you know we do, Bay.” Nick scoffed, shaking his head. We both ran our fingers through our hair, with the same hand, at the same time. Sometimes, you would think that we really were related by blood…maybe not father and son…but uncle and nephew, or something.

Since when did I lean on Nick, for emotional and moral support? You know…he really helped me feel better, though. I can see why he was my dad’s best friend. I really should open up to him more…you know, and give this whole relationship a chance, to go back to how it used to be. Hmm…maybe I’ll think about that some more.
Chapter Forty-Four by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Thanks for sticking with me on this guys...I know I've been slacking on updates, but I'll try to get another up soon...I think I'm on a roll! Anyways, thanks again to all you that are faithful readers! I apreciate all the feedback you guys leave, too. *MUAH*
So Nick let me stay home that day, but the next day, it was right back to school! I let out a long yawn, as I entered Biology. I wasn’t completely surprised to see someone, other than Morgan, sitting on her stool. I should have figured that Morgan would ask to switch lab partners.

“Hey.” I greeted the girl, not really knowing who she was.

“..h…hi..B…Baylee…” She stuttered, looking up, at me, with a small smile. Just my luck, I tell ya!

“It’s…uh…Allison…right?” I asked. I must have been right because she got this ‘he knows my name’ look on her face. I quickly looked her over…the first thing ANYone would notice was her hair. HOLY COW! It’s long…like, really long…it’s all the way down past her butt…with bangs that hung in her eyes, just, a bit…and it’s a natural fiery red. It almost hurt to look at it…yet it was amazing at the same time. Hmm…that means she’s Irish, right? She has the fair skin, too…oh, and freckles…then there is that little dimple on her right cheek that I noticed, when she smiled.

“Uh huh.” Her head nodded, as a soft pink crept onto her cheeks. Great. My new 9th grade Biology lab partner has a crush on the star JV football and basketball player…looky there…that’s me…perfect. I shook the thoughts, from my head, and sat on my own stool. I caught a glimpse of Morgan, who was looking back at me.

“So…” I started, not really knowing what to say.

“…yeah…?” looking at me, with wide eyes, she smiled, again. Okay…you know, sometimes, it’s kind of cool to walk down the hallway, having girls checking you out and wishing they were your girlfriend. I quite enjoy the attention, usually. But then, there are times where it is just plain annoying. Guess what! This is one of those times! Sure, she was pretty and all…I had to give her that…but, it kind of helps to have a lab partner that can actually talk around you. This was going to get complicated, if she was gonna be stuttering and making googly eyes at me, all the time. Luckily, for me, class began.

After the bell rang, I stood up, to gather my things. I turned to head out, when Morgan brushed past me, causing my books to hit the floor. Sighing loudly, I crouched down, to pick them up.

“Here…you need help?” I looked up, getting caught in Allison’s bright green eyes. Look who’s the one staring now! Someone slap me!

“Uh…” Think Baylee…think! Form words…you can do it. “Yeah…um…sure.” Great…now I’m stuttering? What’s next? “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome…Baylee.” There was that shy smile again. We stood up, looking at each other for another moment, before heading out of the classroom. I quickly made it, to my locker.

“Hey man,” Sean greeted. Any progress with Morgan?”

“Heeeell no! That chick will not speak to me, for nothin!” I shook my head, switching books. I turned around, seeing Allison, and some of her friends, walking towards us. “Hey Allison.” I smiled, giving her the ‘what’s up’ nod.

“Hi, Baylee.” She grinned, biting her bottom lip.

“Oh…my…gosh!” One of the other girls squealed, as they kept walking. “Baylee Littrell just totally talked to you!” I had to bite my lip, to keep from laughing. Girls are so weird!

“Who’s that?” Sean asked, looking her over.

“Allison…she’s my new Biology lab partner.” I answered, shrugging my shoulders.


“Stop it, dork-off!” Sean and I were goofing off, in Algebra. We had a substitute teacher and she was just rambling on, not even paying attention to the class. I flung another rubber band, at him, snickering. I looked over and saw Allison staring at us…well, me. When I gave her a goofy grin, her cheeks went red and she quickly turned away, focusing her attention on her text book. You know that really goofy grin that my dad always did? Oh…well…I guess you probably do, huh? Anyways, it must be hereditary because I’ve got it too and that’s the one I use, with girls! Actually, that grin is what makes me more popular than the other jocks, in school…the girls love that grin!

“Make me!” I whispered, egging him on. He tried to slap my upside the head, but I ducked, and he missed.

“Mr. Littrell!” The sub interrupted my fit of laughter. I sat back up, looking at her with a raised eyebrow. “Can you, please, come to the board and solve this equation?” I glanced at Morgan, who was looking at me, expecting me to go and do it. After all, she IS the one who spent two hours explaining it to me. HUH! Morgan wants to play games…well two can play, ya know.

“Uh…” I started laughing, knowing I was going to make Morgan mad. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my desk. I raised my eyebrows and grinned, answering, “Miss Sutherland…I’m a jock…do you really think I know any of this crap?” I leaned back, as the class erupted in laughter. Morgan glared at me, disapprovingly, as I leaned back with a cocky grin. I spent the rest, of class, sketching, on my notebook. I glanced up a few times, at Morgan, seeing that she was upset. I also glanced up at Allison, always finding her looking at me. I would smile, and then go back to what I was doing.

The rest of the day passed quickly. I kept catching Morgan and Allison staring at me. After school, I went straight home because we had to go meet with Kevin and his counselor, today, in order to work on preparations, for the upcoming trip. I tried to get my homework done, but it was hard, not having anyone to help me focus. Before I knew it, we were already walking into the clinic, for the appointment.

“Good afternoon,” the woman greeted me, Nick and Mason. We all greeted her back, as we entered the room, seeing Kevin already sitting in a plush chair. “Alright.” She sifted through some of her papers, before looking up at us. “We need to do some talking. I can’t send Kevin off, on this trip, without there being some kind of communication already established. Now, who wants to start?” No one answered. “How about you, Nick?”

“Um…okay…” Nick fiddled with his fingers, looking around the room. “Wh…what am I su…supposed to say?”

“You’re not supposed to say anything, in particular. Just talk, to Kevin…tell him how you are feeling.”

“Feeling about what…exactly?” I looked at Nick, who was obviously nervous, and then looked over to Kevin, who hung his head.

“Anything. His rehab, his progress, past issues that need to be resolved, the trip…anything that has been bothering you, about the situation with Kevin.” She clarified, but it didn’t look like it helped Nick.

“Uh…” Nicks eyebrows were furrowed, as he rubbed the back of his neck, before crossing his arms. I studied his face; he looked like a scared little child. I had seen some pictures, of their younger years, and Nick had that look, on his face. I know that Kevin was really hard on Nick…hell, he still is…

“I’m not going to snap at you, Nick,” Kevin’s voice was soft and broken, as he continued to stare at the floor. Nick’s head quickly turned towards Kevin. “That’s what you’re thinking.” Kevin looked up to meet Nick’s timid eyes. “But, I’m trying to change, Nick.”

“Go on, Nick…” the counselor’s voice was gentle, but firm.

“Okay…um…” Nick drew in a deep breath, slowly letting it back out. “Here goes…see…I’m really glad that you…you know…you’ve been here and…um…getting help, but, I’m really…worried…about this trip.”

“Go on…what about the trip?” The counselor pressed.

“I’m worried…that it might…not be the best thing for the boys. They’ve been through a lot of pain and heartache already…not that I think you would hurt them…or anything…I mean…I just…see what I meant was that emotionally it might do more damage than good. NO! That’s not right…um…see…there’s probably going to be arguing and stuff and they don’t need to hear that…we’re supposed to be good role models and…not that you aren’t a good father, I didn’t mean that! I mean…I’m not any better…not that you’re not good…what I mean is…shit!” Nick slouched down, further, into the chair. He let his head fall into his right hand, elbow resting on the arm of it.

“I know what you mean, Nick.” Kevin’s voice was gentle and…actually caring. Nicks head popped back up and he looked at Kevin, with confusion.

“You do?” His face looked shocked and confused. Obviously he wasn’t expecting that kind of response. Mason and I just sat quietly, listening, and waiting until the counselor decided it was our turn.

“I’m worried too,” Kevin nodded, fiddling with his hands, returning his gaze to the floor.

“You are?” Nick’s eyes widened.

“Yes, Nick. I know how I’ve been and I’m aware of the effect I have had, on everyone.” Kevin drew in a deep breath, “…and I know that it’s my fault you can’t talk to me.”

“No, Kev…you know I’ve always been…”

“Yeah, you’ve always been…because I was on to you all the time. You never had this much trouble when I first met you. I was always on your back, harping on you and I’m the one that made you so insecure. You’re a great person, Nick, and I’m sorry if I ever made you doubt that.”

“If you ever made me doubt…are you serious?!?” Nick’s eyebrows furrowed and his voice rose, with growing anger. “What about all the lectures on how I couldn’t care for Baylee right? What about how I needed to change all the time? Oh…and don’t get me started on, the subject of, Ashley!” Nick scowled, on that last comment. He sat back, looking away, and crossing his arms again.

There was that Ashley again! Something big must have happened with her. I’ll have to skim through dad’s journal, later, and see if I can figure out what it was. My mind drifted of for a little while, as Nick and Kevin argued some more. The counselor kind of kept it under control, but still let them go at it. Kevin’s voice didn’t elevate, like Nick’s did, but remained calmer and gentler. I guess Kevin really meant it, when he said he was trying to do better.
Chapter Forty-Five by alota_cookin
“Hey JayJay?” I plopped, next to him, on his couch.

“Hey. How’d the counseling session go, this afternoon?” He flipped off the TV and turned to face me, as I opened a can of soda.

“Well…the session kind of sucked. Kevin and Nick got into it. That’s what I wanted to talk to you about, actually. Nick said something to Kevin about this girl…Ashley.” After I said that name, AJ’s eyes went wide.

“No…uhuh…we are NOT…no…drop it.” He shook his head, standing up and heading for the kitchen.

“But my dad mentioned her in his journal…several times! Who is she?” I followed him and continued to press for answers. He sternly looked at me, before pouring himself a cup of coffee.

“I’m not talking about it, BayBay. And, you would be wise NOT to bring her up, in front of Nick. If he brought her up in the session, that already means he’ll be pissy for a week. You start asking questions and…well…just don’t okay?” AJ’s eyes looked almost saddened.

“Well…obviously something happened.”

“Just drop it, Baylee.”

“Hey guys!” Nick called, coming through front door and around into the kitchen. He looked at AJ and then at me. “What’s going on?”

“I was just asking AJ about your…” I was really going to just ask! I mean, how bad could it really be? But, I didn’t get to finish because AJ interrupted me.

“ABOUT your thoughts…on me…proposing…to Riley.” AJ searched for a cover story. Okay…so whatever happened with Ashley MUST be pretty big. But, was AJ serious about proposing?!?

“Are you…” Nick leaned forward, looking into AJ’s eyes. “…you’re serious! Oh my GOD, Alexander James!” Nick rushed up to him, pulling him into a huge hug. “I can’t believe…I mean…it’s finally happening! Good for you!” Nick’s smile was bright and genuine, as AJ blushed a bit.

“I looked at rings, with mom, a couple days ago.” AJ snickered, “I think she’s more excited than I am! Anyways…” AJ reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box. “…I picked it up today.”

“Holy shit! This is gorgeous, AJ!” Nick gasped, when he opened the box. “She’s going to LOVE it!”

“I hope so…I had to have it specially made and it cost me extra to get it done so quickly. Do you think…I mean…will she…?” AJ looked stressed, as he turned his gaze to the floor.

“Don’t worry, man, I’m sure she’ll say ‘yes’. You guys are perfect for each other.” Nick’s eyes showed an odd mixture of emotions. I saw pure happiness AND sadness in his eyes, as he smiled at AJ.

“Yeah, JayJay…everyone knows you guys are crazy about each other.” I piped up, as Nick handed me the box. I opened the top and my eyes widened. The ring was amazing. It was braided white and yellow gold…It had a large oval diamond in the middle, two smaller oval diamonds on each side, of it, and five more diamonds inlayed on each side of the band…that’s thirteen diamonds! “This ring is awesome!” I gave him a wide grin.

“Seriously? You guys think so? I wasn’t really sure what she’d like…so I just…kinda…made it up.” AJ shrugged, as he started to pace the floor.

“How are you going to ask her? Are you going to go all romantic on her?” I ask, grabbing an apple, off the counter, and sitting back in the chair.

“No…if I go all romantic and everything…she’ll suspect something. I was just…thinking…I was planning to ask her, as soon as she got home.”

“You’ll catch her completely off guard! That’s a great idea AJ…I think…” Nick was cut off, by the sound of the front door opening.

“Here goes…” AJ drew in a deep breath. His hands were visibly shaking and he was obviously nervous. Nick walked over by me as Riley came into the room.

“Is everything okay? Alex, sweetie, what’s wrong?” She was instantly by his side, with a concerned look on his face.

“Uh…Ri…I um…” he looked at her, biting his lip. “I uh…”

“Alex? What is it? What’s wrong?” She pressed, glancing back and me and Nick.

“Ri…Baylee’s got something…that’s for you.” He swallowed hard, looking back at me. I had forgotten that the little velvet box was still in my hand. Riley walked towards me, coming to stand in front of me. She looked at me, with confusion, as I saw AJ get down on one knee, behind her.

“It’s right here.” I whispered softly, holding out my hand.

“What’s this?” She looked at me, then opened the box, gasping. “Alex?!?” She whipped around, gasping again, when she saw him on one knee. Her hand flew to her mouth, as her breathing visible picked up. He reached up and took a hold of her hands.

“Ri…” he licked his lips, as Nick and I watched with anticipation. “I know that we don’t say those words. But I can’t do it anymore…” he let out a sigh, shaking his head “…I have to tell you that I love you…and not just once…but every day, every hour, all the time…because Riley…I really do love you with everything in me. Please? Please let me say those words? I can’t breathe without you, anymore…without you in my life…I’d only be half a man because you are what makes me complete. Riley?” He swallowed hard, letting out a deep breath. “Will you marry me?” Riley just stood there, staring at him, for a few moments and AJ’s eyes remained locked, with hers.

“I…I…” Riley finally tried to speak, but didn’t seem to be able, to find her voice. She dropped, to her knees, throwing her arms around his neck and finally blurted. “I love you too, Alexander! So very much!” She leaned in, to kiss him, making me scrunch my nose.

“Is that a ‘yes’?” Nick piped up, raising a brow. He never was the patient type, you know. Riley chuckled, and looked to AJ, who still had a questioning look, in his eyes. Riley looked at the floor, before meeting AJ’s gaze again.

“It’s not a ‘yes’…” Riley said quietly, shaking her head, causing AJ’s face to fall. “…it’s a ‘hell yes’! Hell FUCK yes! A million times over, yes!” I watched, as Riley threw herself into AJ’s arms. The smiles, on their faces, were wide and full of happiness.

The happy moment was short lived, though, and before I knew it…I was back, home. I sat in my desk chair, near the window. My feet were resting on the window’s cushioned seat, my hands holding my dad’s journal, but my brain was somewhere, all together, different. I stared at the journal’s pages, but couldn’t focus enough to read.

My mind drifted, to Morgan. What was she doing, right now? Why is she pushing me away? You know…she, at least, still talks to Sean! She won’t hang out with him anymore, but she talks to him in school. I don’t get it. She completely ignores me now, like I don’t even exist! It just doesn’t add up.

Another thing that doesn’t add up…is this mess with Kevin. He seems to be the stem of so many issues. What did he do to this Ashley girl? Who was she? I mean, my dad talks about her in his journal…I know she was dating Nick…but what does Kevin have to do with it? And, why is it such a forbidden subject? AJ was right about Nick being cranky, because, as soon as we left, his mood changed. He wasn’t angry…more sad, than anything. There are some serious skeletons, in the closets, around here. I have to figure out what’s going on! It’s driving me crazy, that I am in the middle of everything, yet I know nothing. How can that be?

Being in the middle, of all this crap, sucks and I know Mason feels it too. I feel so bad for my little cousin. He lost his mom because of all this…still, neither of us know what ‘all this’ even is! I can relate to the confusion he feels…hell, I’ve felt it myself. Losing a parent…being thrown under someone else’s care…not having a clue, why it’s all happening to you. How is this fair, to us? We’re just kids, people! Technically, I’m a teenager…but, you know what I mean. I can’t even handle this, and I’m five years older than he is. He needs someone to confide in. I try to be there, but he doesn’t really open up to me…he needs someone that he can fully open up to…someone like Morgan.

This brings me back to her…

“Screw this!” I huff, standing to my feet. I rush out of my room, snatching my zip down hoodie, on the way out. I put an arm into my sweatshirt, as I start running down the stairs. Rounding the corner, I holler at Nick, telling him I’ll be back later. He raises a brow at me, asking where I’m going.

“I can’t take it anymore, Nick…I gotta talk to her.” I look at him, pleadingly. His eyes lock with mine and I expect him to start in, on his overprotective mode.

“Baylee…if you’re there, after it gets dark, call me and I’ll come pick you up. I don’t want you walking home, by yourself, in the dark.” He nods his head, showing his approval. I was floored…there was no argument? No yelling? No fight?

“Thanks Nick.” I look at him, and give a weak smile. Maybe he did understand, after all. I practically ran, all the way, to Morgan’s apartment. My breathing is rapid, as I knock on the door. I wait only a moment before I knock again, with more urgency. As I raise my hand, to knock, again, the door opens.

“Baylee?” I find myself face to face, with Lisa.

“Where is she?”

“She’s not here, hun. Morgan spent the night at Tori’s house.” She smiles sweetly, at me, and I just nod. Turning around, I slowly head back home, as it starts getting really dark. Off, in the distance, I see storm clouds rolling in and hear the faint rumble, of thunder. Perfect. How fitting! I still took my time, heading home, and ended up getting caught in the rain. At least, it was a fairly warm rain.

“You okay, Bay?” Nick questions, as I enter the house. I just shrug my shoulders, peeling off my wet sweatshirt and t-shirt, before heading up the stairs. After closing and locking my door, I change into a pair of pajama pants. As I collapse on my bed, a single tear of frustration trails down my cheek.
Chapter Forty-Six by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Thanks a ton, to all of you, who have stuck with this story. I, also, really appreciate all of the positive feedback! Thanks again, guys!
It was Saturday morning and I was feeling real lazy. Having no motivation to do anything, I just pulled on a pair of sweats, and lounged on my bed. My continuing fight, with Morgan, was wearing on me. I know it’s not technically a fight…but it feels like one. I’ve never had her give me the silent treatment, before, and it was slowly crushing me. Since I had a good four hours, before our counseling session with Kevin, I decided to flip open my dad’s journal. As always, I ran my fingers over the leather, before flipping through the pages. I got up, off my bed, and got comfortable in my desk chair, kicking my feet, up, onto the window seat. Hmm…where did I leave off?

February 12, 2006

Dear Journal –

You wouldn’t believe my day! Nick and Leighanne got into a major tizzy, over one of the stupidest things! Nick took Baylee out, so that Leigh and I could have lunch, just the two of us. Not only did she spend most of the time on the phone, but all hell broke loose when we met back up with Nick and Bay.

See…Nick doesn’t really think things through sometimes, especially when it comes to buying toys for Baylee. Now, I didn’t have a problem with what he got today, but Leigh flipped her lid. You should have seen her face, when Baylee came running up, to show us his new toy shotgun. So, now let’s take a look at all sides of this issue.

Leighanne argues that toy guns promote bad ideas, into children’s minds. Evidently, she read an article about how toy guns can numb a child’s mind, against death. Children use toy guns to “kill” things and people that ultimately don’t receive any injury; therefore it clouds the child mind, to what death is and what it means. This can lead to the child growing up and actually killing people, without fully understanding the consequences, of their actions.

Nick’s response was…well…very Nick-ish. All he said was “Dude…Leigh…it’s a toy.” That about sums up the tall blonde dork’s views, on the subject.

As for me…I don’t see the big deal. I had toy guns, when I was a boy. My parents were always clear on the rules, of playing with them. I was never allowed to point them at people or animals…they were strictly for pretending. My brother, and I, just went “hunting”, trying to bag the big buck. We played in the yard, pretending to see big deer all around and trying to get the biggest one. I turned out just fine! I was allowed those toys, but was taught on how to play with them, the right way.

So what’s the verdict, you ask? The toy gun got taken away and Nick got an hour long lecture on, the responsibility of, raising a child. I was really irritated over the whole situation. I tried to mediate. I tried to help them see each other’s sides. I tried to be the voice of reason. I got ignored. Leighanne got mad, thinking I was siding with Nick. It was a lose, lose, situation and there was no way for everyone to be happy. Baylee was crushed, when the toy shotgun was taken away, but, without Leigh’s knowledge, I sent it with Nick. I know exactly where it’s going to go, too…in his attic, where all Baylee’s other “forbidden” toys have been stashed.

Well…I guess I am done venting, for now. I’ve got a horrid headache, and I am going…to bed!

- Brian Thomas Littrell



Snapping the journal shut, I tossed it onto my bed. I got up so quickly, that my desk chair spun, and I sprinted to my door. Flinging the door open, it hit the wall with a crash. My legs couldn’t have carried me, to the attic, any quicker. I climbed the steps two, by two. Finally reaching the third story’s only room, I creaked open the worn, wooden door.

“Gross!” I groaned, whisking away the cobwebs. It took me a few moments to find the pull cord, for the single light fixture. Once light was shed, into the room, I saw just how big it was and that it was packed full of stuff. There were boxes everywhere, trunks, and bags…all stacked up in a, typical Nick, unorganized manner. The room looked like it used to be very nice, but now it was just dusty and un-kept. I bet with, a bit, of cleaning, this room would look like every other room, in the house. I kept letting my eyes scan the room. There was a single window, with a seat, just like in my room and not much, of anything, else.

I snapped out of my thoughts, and started rummaging through things. The first box was filled with hundreds and hundreds of pictures, from the Backstreet Boys’ heyday. Setting it aside, I made a note to look through them, later. On to the next box…sifting and sorting…Nick’s old family pictures and momentous of his childhood. Next…a large plastic bag…clothes? I rolled my eyes, after pulling out a shirt, to see it was from their Black and Blue tour. Letting out a loud sigh, I let my fingers touch my father’s face, and then put the shirt back in the bag.

“I know it’s all in here…Nick never gets rid of anything!” I spoke to no one, but myself, as I continued to rummage through the contents, of the room. Box after box, bag after bag…until…”YES!” I shouted, pulling out an old toy shotgun. “It really was here! I knew it!” I spotted a small toy pistol along with another toy shot gun.

I grabbed the three guns and sprinted out of the room, not bothering to turn out the light. Skidding, to a halt, I pounded on Mason’s door. When he answered, I just grinned and tossed him one, of the guns. He looked at me odd, and I just smirked. Both, of us, took off at full speed, scrambling down the stairs. We stood on opposite sides, of Nick’s office door, holding our guns in the ready position. Holding a finger, over my lips, I signaled the count, before we busted in through the door. As the doors flew open, I tossed the third gun, to Nick, who was shocked, but still able to catch it.

“Where did you…?” Nick began to question, but trailed off, as Mason and I initiated the gun fight. We gave Nick the little pistol, so Mason and I had the upper hand, with the shotguns.

“Oh you two are dead!” Nick grinned widely, getting up from his office chair. It was only a matter, of moments, before we were chasing each other around the house. Sprinting up and down the stairs, swapping from room to room, ducking behind furniture, and gasping for breath…our battle raged on.

“Cover me, Bay!” Mason called, as we both hid behind the kitchen island. He crawled out and made a run for Nick. I popped my head up, over the island and snickered, watching Nick lift Mason over his shoulder. Nick pointed the toy gun at me, with a wild smirk.

“You want a piece of me…punk?!?” Nick licked his lips and tried to spin the gun in his hand. I laughed, as I watched the plastic tumble, to the floor. Grinning, like a mad man, I rested my gun, one the top of the counter, aimed, and shot him. “AGH!” Nick screamed. He gently put Mason down, before dramatically stumbling around, clutching his chest. Mason ran over, to stand, by me, as we watched Nick desperately grab at the wall.

“Nice shot, Bay!” Mason smiled, giving me a high five. Nick gurgled and let his right hand slide down the wall, as he fell to the floor, with a thump.

“Thanks. We’ll see if he ever stashes my toys in the attic, again!” I squatted next to Nick’s body and poked him, with the barrel of my toy gun. He opened on eye and looked up, at me.

“How did you know about those, anyways?” His other eye opened, as a grin spread across his face.

“How do you think?” Tilting my head, I raised my eyebrows. The answer, to his question, was obvious and he already knew it.

“Reading your dad’s journal again?” He grunted, as he sat up. Mason and I turned our backs, to his, and the three of us leaned back, on each other. We sat and talked for over an hour, before it was time to start getting ready. Nick retreated back, into his office, while Mason and I headed upstairs.

“Bay?” Mason stopped me, just before I entered my room. Turning around, I saw a look, of distress, across his face.

“Yeah?”

“Can we talk?” My ears perked up, at the idea. I nodded vigorously. Hopefully we would get further, this time…he really needed to open up, more.

“Of course!” I walked into my room, with him close behind. Closing the door softly, behind him, he made his way into the room. I nodded my head, towards the bed, and he sat down. “What’s up?”

“This counseling thing…” he fidgeted, with his hands, and his voice was low. I could tell that his nerves were high and, maybe, to a breaking point. “They made Nick talk…what if they make me talk, too?” Looking up, at me, I could see the worry in his eyes.

“Well…uh…you just talk, Mase. You have to tell him sooner, or later…you might as well get it over with. Just tell him how you feel. He’s been really trying and we can see that from the way he’s been acting. It’s going to be hard and you’re going to be nervous…scared…or both. You know what though? It’s okay to be scared, about this. It’s a big step for all of us, but especially for you and your dad. In the end, it will help, though.” I stood up, making my way over, to him. Sitting next to him, I put an arm around his shoulders.

“I really am scared Baylee. What if…” He let out a deep sigh, staring at the floor.

“What if…what?” I pressed on, wanting him to open up, to me, and let his emotions free. “You know…nothing you say leaves this room.”

“I know…thanks, Baylee. I’m just scared that maybe…if I tell him how I feel…that…he’ll decide that he doesn’t want me, anymore. I mean…I know that I’m not really important, to him…but, I’ve been hoping that this counseling and stuff…maybe it would make him want me again.” Mason sniffled, as tears settled in his eyes. I found myself in a temporary loss, for words.

“Oh, my gosh, Mason.” I finally gasped, not really knowing how to respond. “Your dad loves you…he really does. He’s had a lot of issues, his mind was all clouded, and his priorities were way out of whack. I don’t think there was ever a point where he, honestly, didn’t want you…I guess he just forgot to show you how much he loves you.”

“How can you forget to show someone you love them? How could he forget to want me? Am I really that bad of a son, that he just forgets that stuff? Or maybe he only has that ‘I love him because he’s my son and I have to’ kind of love!” Mason was on his feet, pacing.

“Ask him.”

“I tried so hard! I wanted him to care! I wanted him to love me! Somehow I never really felt like he did.”

“Tell him.”

“I can’t just tell him! Are you crazy?!? I’ll be stuck here forever!” Mason stopped, snapping his head to look at me. “I didn’t mean…it’s not that it’s bad here…I mean…I love you and Nick…I just…I mean…I wouldn’t be stuck, per say…I just meant that…”

“Mason! I understand. I feel stuck sometimes, too…okay…a lot of times. Anyways, I know what you mean. The circumstances are a bid different, but we share a lot of those same feelings. It sucks to feel abandoned. I can only imagine how much worse it is, for you, seeing as it was by choice, on your dad’s part.” I stood up and pulled my little cousin, into a tight hug. After only a moment, I felt him break down. He sobbed into my shoulder, as I sighed, relieved that he was letting it out. Bottling those horrible emotions can tear a kid apart…trust me…I know.

The ride, to the counseling appointment, seemed to take forever, and the car was deathly silent. I sat in the backseat, with Mason, just trying to let him feel that I was there, for him. I didn’t know what else, to do. In my mind…it was time, for me, to be like Morgan. She always knew what to say and how to make me feel better. It was my turn to do that, for Mason. As we approached the tall building, I put an arm around him and gave a reassuring squeeze. He took in a few deep breaths, as we entered, through the doors.
Chapter Forty-Seven by alota_cookin
Luckily for Mason, the counselor didn’t make him and Kevin talk during the counseling session, but we know it will come, eventually. Everything was pretty quiet over the weekend and now it was already Tuesday. Today was a big day, too! I woke up with a smile on my face, as I pulled on my away jersey over my white shirt…the jersey is red, with black letters and outlining. I finished getting ready, grabbed my backpack and duffel bag, and then sprinted down the stairs.

“Don’t forget…I won’t be home until really late, tonight!’ I grinned, at Nick. Taking a seat at the table, I rubbed my hands together, as Nick set a plate of food down.

“Oh, I haven’t forgotten, Bay!” The smirk, on Nick’s face, told me something was up, but I wasn’t about to ask…not today!

“Mmm, that was good. Thanks Nick! See you guys lata!” I set my plate in the sink and headed out the door. I met up, with Sean, and we power walked all the way, to school. The halls were buzzing with excitement and the whole team met up, before class. We were hooting and hollering, psyching ourselves up. We had a big game this afternoon and the whole school was amped up.

I met back up with Sean and Allison, by my locker, before the warning bell rang. Allison and I had met up on Sunday night, for burgers and again last night, for a movie. It took me a bit, to get her to not be so shy, around me, but now I am finding that she’s such a sweet girl and I really like her. The three of us, were laughing about something, when it happened.

The double doors swung open and in came some of our JV cheerleaders, one in particular caught my eyes. Her long black curls looked as soft as silk and bounced loosely around her shoulders. The curls were in perfect ringlets, like I have only seen in commercials and movies. I couldn’t help but to look her over…she was beautiful. Eyes wide, mouth open, and jaw on the floor, I couldn’t keep myself from staring.

“Who’s the new chick?” Sean questioned, obviously taking in the same sight. Our heads were frozen, looking her way. The tight cheerleading uniform hugged her curves, in a way I had never seen, before. I glanced down, seeing how the short skirt showed off her toned legs, that I had seen so many times. Over the years, I have seen her in bathing suits and shorts…but this was something different, all together. Her flat stomach was peeking out, from under the cheerleading halter and it, too, looked…different.

“Uh…Sean…” I shook my head, not removing my eyes from the beauty before us. “…I don’t think…that’s a new chick.” Maybe it was the air of confidence that surrounded her. Maybe it was the genuine smile that lit up her face. Or maybe it was just the make-over she had received. It may have even been just because I have missed her so much. Whatever the case is, my brain wouldn’t stop thinking things that a best friend shouldn’t think.

“Morgan?!?” Sean’s voice failed him, and it came out as more of a gasp. Morgan and the other girls stopped, directly, in front of us. I bit my bottom lip, hoping she would speak to me. She had spoken to Sean some, sure it was only at school and in very small amounts, but at least she had talked to him. Not a word had been spoken, to me, since she broke off our friendship.

“Well, hey Sean!” Her voice had a giggle to it, as she grinned at him. The other cheerleaders flocked around me, for just a moment, to wish me luck. Within a blink, of an eye, they were all headed down the hallway, with guys trailing behind. Morgan’s arm was in a much smaller cast now, only covering her thumb and lower forearm, but she still had someone else carrying her things.

“Wow…she sure looks pretty today!” Allison smiled, causing me to snap out of my trance.

“That’s the understatement of the year!” Sean chuckled. “I’ve known her for years and always thought she was pretty, but….wow…I’ve never seen her look THAT good!”

“Man…I just wish she would talk to me!” I sighed loudly.

“Aw, don’t worry, Bay. She’ll come around. Everyone knows you guys are inseparable! Just…give her time, to get used to things. It’s a big thing that she’s been offered, you know.” Allison rested a hand on my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“What? What…big thing? What are you talking about?” I turned to face Allison, whose face went red.

“You mean…” she looked from me, to Sean, and back to me. “…you guys don’t know?”

“We will, once you tell us!” I tilted my head, looking at her with anticipation. Now was the moment of truth…I would finally find out what, in the halibut, was going on. To say I was excited and anxious would be another understatement, of the year.

“Oh…um…well…you know how we are in 9th grade now and will go into 10th next year?” Allison bit her lip, looking very nervous.

“Uh huh…” Sean nodded, standing next to me.

“Well…she won’t be going…into 10th grade…with us.” Her eyes roamed, as the warning bell sounded. I gently grabbed her arm, as she turned, to head to class.

“What do you mean, Ali?” I asked, softly, wanting the rest of the story.

“They gave her some kind of test that day, when she was called into the office. For whatever reason, they thought that she wasn’t being challenged enough, in our grade. On the test, they gave her, her score came out really high. She scored way higher than a normal 9th grader should, so...they want her to go into 12th grade, next year, instead of 10th." Allison finished her explanation, in a rush.

“How did you know that?” Sean and I asked, in unison, looking at her with amazement.

“Um…the whole school knows…except you guys, I guess.” Allison shrugged and we all headed to class.

I spent the whole class, staring a whole into, the back of, Morgan’s head. I couldn’t believe this…it didn’t even make sense! She broke off our friendship, the day after she was called into the office. I knew, all along, then that her reasons had something to do with whatever had happened…but this…I didn’t expect this! Wasn’t this…like…a good thing? I’m not going to even pretend like I understand the connection between her skipping a couple grades and her calling off our friendship, but I sure as heck planned on finding out!

Before I knew it, we were in fourth period and the PA system buzzed. “All Junior Varsity basketball players and cheerleaders are now excused from class, to meet at the bus, in front of the school. Good luck tonight, boys!” The classroom erupted in cheers, as Dean, Josh, Matt, Morgan, Sarah and I all stood up.

“WAR-I-ORS! WAR-I-ORS!” Dean, Josh, Matt and I stood up on our chairs and chanted, punching our fists in the air. Hopping off the chairs, we approached the two girls, who stood in front, of the class. We took our positions behind them, as they cheered.

“We’re the best, we can’t be beat! So come on fans, get on your feet!” The two girls went through their movements, and the class stood up. I couldn’t help but watch Morgan…she looked like she had been cheering all her life. Her movements were precise, on point, and very strong. “Shout it out…let’s get loud! Our team is gonna make you proud! GO WARRIORS! Whoooo!”

“GO WARRIORS!” The whole class screamed, as we headed out the door. Walking into the hallway, I saw the rest of our teammates exiting their classes, as well. All of us chanted, as we stopped, at our lockers, to grab our things, and headed out to the bus. I was almost to the bus and I stopped, dead, in my tracks, when I noticed AJ’s black Escalade, in the school parking lot. Everyone else went around me, as I stood there, staring. There were red and black ribbons tied to the antenna, ‘Go Warriors’ in black paint on the back driver’s side window, ‘Baylee # 16’ in red paint, on the very top of the windshield. I could see that there were things painted on the rear window and back passenger window, but couldn’t read them.

“WHOOO! GO LITTLE B!” I smiled, seeing AJ nodding at me. He was leaning against the front, of the Escalade, wearing his black and read Warriors sweatshirt, with black jeans. What were they doing here?

“We’ll see you there, sweetie!” Riley stood beside AJ, also wearing a Warriors sweatshirt except with red pants. She had AJ’s arm draped over her shoulders and had that permanent smile, that has been on her face, ever since AJ popped the big question. See me there? That means…they’re going to my game!

“Good luck!” Nick leaned against his door, waving at me. He too was in all Warriors attire! Man, I guess they really are going to support me, at the game! “You’ll do great! We’re all proud of you, no matter what!” He was grinning from ear, to ear. I couldn’t have been happier, to see them. I didn’t figure they would go to this game. Sure it was a really important game…if we won this game, we were going to the state championships…but, the game was a three hour drive, away. Seeing AJ, Riley and Nick wasn’t even my biggest surprise…

“Hey, Baylee!” Mason stepped out of the car. “Thanks to you, I get to skip the rest, of school, today!” Nick was letting Mason skip school, to come?!? I was utterly shocked!

“Saddle up, Littrell!” Coach ordered, from behind me, slapping a hand on my shoulder. I smiled widely at the group and hopped onto the bus. I found my normal seat, in the very back…I always sit in the same spot! Looking out the window, I saw them pile into the Escalade and pull up, behind the bus. There were plenty of other cars, lining up, too. I guess we had a whole caravan, of people, going! When I looked out the other side, I saw all the varsity players and cheerleaders exiting the school and heading to the parking lot…they, almost, always make it to states. Were they going to our game?

“Are we ready?!?” The head cheerleader stood up, in the front, as the bus slowly started out of the parking lot.

“YES!” We all shouted, in response. It wasn’t until this moment, that I noticed Morgan was sitting across the aisle, from me. I gave her a smile, but she just looked at the ground. Did I mention how amazing she looks, today?

“Are we going to kick butt?!?”

“HECK YEAH!”

“I can’t hear you! Girls, let’s get these boys riled UP!” All the girls stood to their feet, as the bus pulled onto the highway. I know…technically, no one is ever supposed to stand up, when the bus is moving…but, coach and bus driver never scold us or tell us to sit down, so we do it anyways! You know, with a three hour drive, ahead of us, I’m not real sure why the girls want to get us riled up NOW. I guess it’s just because we are officially leaving and on our way. I shouldn’t be surprised, though, they do this every time. Not that I’m complaining, because it’s a lot of fun getting all hyped up!

The girls all lined up, down the aisle, of the bus. Seeing as she was sitting in the back, Morgan was standing right beside me. Morgan was facing away from me, as was every other girl, with the opposite girls, facing our way. “Let’s get physical…”

“Let’s get down, get rough, get mean!” The other guys and I took over, raising our voices.

“Let’s get physical…” each girl turned, facing the opposite direction, from what they started.

“Let’s get hard, get tough, get mean!” All, of us, guys, shouted.

“Let’s get physical…” I couldn’t stop my eyes from watching Morgan, again, as her hips moved, in time, with the other girls. Never, before, had I seen her have so much confidence, in herself. She got a lot of attention, at school, today and I think it has done wonders for her self esteem. Maybe joining the squad was a good idea. Now, I just have to work on getting our friendship back, on track.

“AND BEAT THE OTHER TEAM!” The whole bus joined in, everyone standing up. A few more cheers were shouted, before we settled into our seats. I looked out the back window, and saw that the black Escalade was still right behind us. We all just talked amongst ourselves, for now. It wouldn’t be until, about, 45 minutes before our arrival, that we would get all rowdy again. This was a big game, and would require a lot of energy. Trust me, when I say, by the time we pull into their school’s parking lot…we’ll be pumped, riled, rowdy, and ready to KICK BUTT!
Chapter Forty-Eight by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Yikes...the longest chapter yet! A lot happens here...I hope you guys like it. Thanks for all the feedback you guys have been leaving!
The bus ride had been long, but loud, as we were all rowdy. When we got to the school, we all piled out, of the bus, and in, to the locker rooms. Changing into our away uniforms, all sixteen, of us guys, were hooting and hollering, to get hyped for the game. This was a big game, for us and we really wanted to win so, we could go to states. Before we knew it, it was time to line up, for our entry onto the court.

“Give it up, for our very own…the blue and white…the EAGLES!!!” The gym’s sound system boomed. I listened closely as the other team was introduced, one by one, by their cheerleaders. Our team got in line, outside the gym, as our cheerleaders stood in their formation, on the other side of the door. The other team finished introducing each of their players and the announcer came over the speaker, again.

“And now…our visiting team…the black and red…the WARRIORS!!!” I heard our cheerleaders erupt into high squeals, before starting their introductory cheers. One, by one, each player was introduced with a one line chant, as they ran out onto the court, making a lap before heading to our bench.

There were sixteen cheerleaders, to match our sixteen players. Each cheerleader is ‘assigned’ a player. Anytime the cheerleaders and players have to team up for anything in pep rallies or whatever, we are always in the same pairs. I already knew that I would be paired with Morgan, because she was replacing the girl who was paired with me before. As I stood at the back of our line, nothing could prepare me, for my introduction.

“Baylee might be last in line, but let me tell you girls…he’s FIIIIIINE!” Morgan ended her line with a toe touch jump, as I ran out onto the court. I was in a bit of shock, hearing such a thing come from my best…coming from Morgan, but I couldn’t pay attention to that, at least, not now. It was time to get focused.

It didn’t take me long, to spot my personal cheering section. Nick, AJ, Riley and Mason were all sitting directly behind our bench, with wide smiles. I couldn’t help the grin, spreading across my lips, as I saw they were all wearing black and red face paint, now, to match their Warriors attire. Riley and Mason even had homemade posters with my name and jersey number 16. They held up the posters, above their heads, and screamed, for me, as I jogged past them, for my lap around the court.

The game started and I think they were cheering louder than the actual cheerleaders…not that I minded, at all! Needless to say, I was on the starting line-up and played for most of the game. I wiped the sweat, from my brow, as our final time out was coming to an end. The coach gave us a final word, of encouragement, before we all put our hands in, together.

“Huh…huh…huh…GO WARRIORS!!” We grunted and screamed, before heading back onto the court. We were, now, down to the final moments, of the fourth quarter.

A glance, at the scoreboard, confirmed we only had 15 seconds left, in the game, and we were still down by two points. We had possession, of the ball, and started heading down the court. Dean had the ball, as we all jogged toward the hoop, weaving around our opponents. The seconds ticked, as he looked for an opening. I scurried around the guy guarding me, catching the pass, as I spun around. The guy was on me, like an unwanted pimple, in the middle of your forehead, on the night of the homecoming dance!

“…we’re here to dominate…we came to eliminate…we’re going to termi…”

“…8…7…6…”

“SHOOT IT BAY!!”

“TAKE THE SHOT!”

“…5…4…” The numerous sounds were coming from every angle, and they sounded like nothing but a jumble, to me. I could hear the cheerleaders, Nick, the home fans, our Varsity team, AJ, Mason…

“Come on Littrell!” Matt’s voice grabbed my attention, bringing it back to the game, and I knew I had to take the shot. I couldn’t wait any longer, I couldn’t get any closer…I had to take it now. Spinning around, to break away from my guarder, I lifted the ball above my head and snapped it into the air. As I felt the ball roll off my fingertips, the sound of the final buzzer, filled my ears. This was it…the game was over…everything was riding on this one shot. If it went in, it would tie the game and we would battle in overtime…no…wait…upon glancing, at the floor, I see I am outside of the three point line. That means…this shot…if it goes in…would win us the game and send us to the state championships.

The home crowd was on their feet. Our cheerleaders had stopped cheering and were frozen, in place, watching the ball. All of my teammates were frozen, too, their eyes glued to the ball, watching it fly through the air. The ball hits the backboard and gasps are heard from all around me, as everyone anticipates the ball’s path. Hitting the rim, it makes a circle, not falling off either way. I hold my breath. The ball makes another trip, around the rim. It slows and teeters. Watching it closely, I see it fall into the hoop! We’ve won!

I jump in the air, punching a fist upwards. My teammates rush me, Lucas grabbing me by the waist, keeping me in mid air. The cheerleaders rush onto the court, screaming and cheering. Our home crowd emptied the bleachers and joined us on the court. Nick, AJ, Riley and Mason were the first to vacate the bleachers and run our way. The noise level reached a peak, as everyone screamed, in victory.

As Lucas set me back, on my feet, I was almost plowed over by Morgan. I was more than shocked, to feel her arms around me, but I didn’t waste time in wrapping mine around her, tightly. I stood, holding onto her, and my personal cheering section surrounded us. Taking one arm away from Morgan, I let it slip around Nick, as he hugged me from the side.

“Awesome game Baylee!” AJ smiled, taking Nick’s place, at my side. Morgan let go and stepped back, looking at me with embarrassment.

“Um…nice shot…Baylee…” Before I could respond, she was back into the crowd. She probably didn’t even think about it, when she hugged me. It was, most likely, a force of habit. I didn’t have the chance to dwell on the subject because Mason attacked me, almost knocking me over.

Things began to settle down, as everyone stepped to the side, of the gym. Our team lined up, on one end of the court, as the Eagles lined up, on the opposite end. As usual, I was at the back, of the line, as we walked toward the other team. As we made our way, down the court, we slapped high fives with every player, and the couches, of the other team. Compliments, on the well played game, were given by both teams, as our lines passed each other.

“Come on Warriors…” Couch’s voice shouted, after we were done. “…back to the locker rooms!” I walked over and gave Nick, AJ, Riley, and Mason each one last hug, before following my teammates back to the locker room. All, of us, started shouting and slapping high fives, again, as we entered through the locker room door.

After taking our showers and changing, we gathered all of our things. I slung my duffel bag, over my shoulder, as we all headed out of the locker room. We met up, with the girls, in the hallway, as they exited their locker room. I knew it might not be the best move, but I walked up from behind Morgan. As I came up beside her, I slung my am over her shoulder, drawing her in, to me. Just as I figured, she tried to wiggle from my grip, but she knows, all too well, that I always win. So, after a few moments, she just let my arm stay where it was. We all walked out to the bus, still hyped up, from the game. Piling onto the bus, I took a glance at the Escalade that had re-claimed the spot right behind our bus.

As everyone settled, into their seats, I made my way, to the back, of the bus. I gave up my normal spot, and slipped into the seat next to Morgan. She looked at me with something in her eyes I was not used to seeing from her…at least, not directed towards me…she looked nervous. When I felt the bus begin to move, I started digging in my duffel bag, pulling out a small notebook and a pen. Flipping through the pages, I passed all the songs and poems that I’ve written, to a blank page. I drew in a breath and took a sideways glance, at Morgan, before I began to scribble.

”Are you gonna talk to me anytime soon?” I don’t know what is going on, in her head, but I can tell this wouldn’t be something she would openly want to talk about, with other listening ears so close. I hesitantly hand the pen and pad, to her. After reading it, she gives me a sad look and proceeds to write. She hands the notebook, back, to me.

”I wasn’t planning on it. Sorry, Baylee.”

“Why not?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“If it’s about the test they gave you and you skipping grades…I already know.”
I was already feeling the agitation rise in my stomach. Why did she always have to be so darn stubborn? I drop the pad, on her lap, satisfied with my comment. Her jaw drops and she looks up at me, tears in her eyes.

“How?” Her voice is barely audible, as she struggles to keep her eyes locked, with mine. I can tell she’s about to crack. She wants to tell me…she’s dieing to…I just know it. Any moment, now, and she’ll be scribbling, on that paper, like there’s no tomorrow. I take the pen, reaching over to write on the pad that still sits on her lap.

”Ali.”

”Are you seeing her, now?”

“Sort of, but I will talk to you about that AFTER we fix our friendship.”
I am still reaching over her, writing on the notebook that hasn’t left her lap. I look up at her, with pleading, in my eyes. I miss her. I miss our runs…our homework sessions…our slurpies…our talks…everything.

”We’ll talk later.” Releasing a sigh, I shake my head. That wasn’t the answer I was looking for, but at least, she was willing to talk. Hopefully it would be soon. I, honestly, don’t know how much more, of this, I can handle.

“Tonight.” I state firmly, staring her in the eyes. It wasn’t a question and it wasn’t negotiable. I was going to stand firm, on this. We have already waited too long, to have this talk.

“Tonight.” She repeated, softly, nodding her head. Sitting back, in my seat, I lean my head over and let it rest on her shoulder for a moment. Sitting back up, I make myself comfortable for, the rest of, the ride. I must have dozed off, because I re-opened my eyes, to find us pulling into the school’s parking lot. Everyone lazily climbed off the bus and headed to the awaiting cars.

“You ready to head home, Bay?” AJ asked, stepping out, of the Escalade. I was about to climb in, when I saw Morgan slowly walking towards me. Poking my head into the truck I asked Nick if I could walk Morgan home, so we could talk. Nick smiled and easily agreed. I watched them pull out, each of them waving at me. I waved back, smiling. Morgan and I started walking home, in silence.

“So…” After almost 10 minutes, I couldn’t stand the silence anymore. “Talk to me.” We had stopped walking, and were standing by the elementary school’s playground. I shoved my hands into my pockets and turned to look, at her.

“Baylee…I…”

“What? Decided that you’re too smart to hang out with a dumb jock, now? Finally get fed up of me? You seem to talk, to Sean, just fine!” I couldn’t stop the anger and frustration from rising, in my voice. There was a lot of pent up confusion, inside of me, and I couldn’t swallow it down any more.

“NO! That’s not it at all!” Morgan’s face reflected shock, as if the suggestion was absurd, but in my mind, it seemed like the only reason she would cut off our friendship.

“Then what is it Morgan? You kind of just kicked me, to the curb, and left me, in the dark! Hell…I’m the only one, in the school, that didn’t know Morgan!” My voice rose, as my hands flew up, into the air. I didn’t really mean, to yell, but I couldn’t seem to control it.

“Have you thought about it, Baylee? Huh? Everything is going to change! Don’t you get that? I’m…going…to be…a…SENIOR!!!” I flinched, as her voice screamed back, at me.

“What does that have to do with anything, Morgan?” I consciously made an effort, to even out my voice and calm myself. We’ve never fought and I didn’t like the idea, of starting now.

“Hmm…let’s think about it, for a minute!” She began to pace, her hands cutting through the air. Her voice was harsh, as she continued her explanation. “How about not having classes together anymore? Do you realize we won’t even have the same senior prom? We won’t take the senior trip, to Paris, together! No more homework study sessions. We won’t be working on projects anymore, Baylee. I’ll be headed off, to college, before you and Sean are even close, to graduating! You think you get teased NOW for being friends with the ‘smart girl’ you just wait, until I skip a few grades. THEN see how much crap you get!” She came to a sudden stop, staring at me. Her eyes bore into me, like never before. The street light, behind me, cast light onto her face and I could see tears glistening in her eyes.

“Morgan…you know I don’t care what everyone else thinks! Besides…can’t you just…say ‘no’?” I tilted my head, stepping close to her. Reaching out, I grabbed one of her hands.

“It’s not that easy, Baylee.” Her voice was now soft and gentle, instead of harsh and loud. “Do you have any idea…how happy mom was? She’s…” Tugging her hand away, she turned around, her back facing me. “She’s so proud, Baylee. When she got home, that day, she called everyone, to tell them how happy and proud of me she was. I…I can’t just…I’m all she has…you know that.”

“What do you want, Morgs? Do you want to skip ahead?” I came up to her and slipped my arms around her, resting my chin on her shoulder.

“Of course not!” Letting out a deep sigh, she hung her head. I didn’t realize what a struggle this was, for her. How could anyone have known what she was going through? Here I was thinking that her reasons were selfish and cruel…when really, she just didn’t want to let her mom down.

“Tell her,” I stepped back, turning her to face me. “She loves you, Morgs, she’ll understand.”

“I can’t break her heart! I just…I can’t do it.” Shaking her head, a few stray tears slipped down her cheeks. Bringing my hands up, to her face, I let my thumbs wipe away the tears.

“Not skipping the grades doesn’t change the fact that you’re smart enough to do it, Morgan. You’re always going to be freakishly smart…not even that new skimpy tight cheerleading uniform can change that!” I gave her a lopsided grin. She tried to fight it, but lost the battle, and began to laugh.

“I’m not freakishly smart! You’re just a dumb jock!” She shoved my shoulder, and wiped her eyes. “How do you always win, Baylee?” She turned semi-serious, looking back into my eyes.

“This time…it’s because I don’t think you really wanted to cut off our friendship.”

“Well…I…I didn’t…not really. I just…I thought you…that you wouldn’t…”

“Don’t even try telling me that you thought I would cut it off, when I found out. If you thought that…then you must have cheated on that test they gave you!” Honestly…could she have really thought that? After all these years…

“Well…” I watched her bite her lip and cast her gaze to the ground. Nice. She did think that. I chuckled, sarcastically, and pulled her into a hug. Her arms came around me and hugged me back.

“I’m not leaving, Morgan. You’re still my best friend and you always will be, no matter if you skip ahead, or not. I still think you should talk, to mom, if you don’t want to do this grade skipping thing. But, either way, I’m going to be here for you, just like always.” We started walking, toward her apartment, again. Along the way, I made effort to bring us back, to where we were before all this happened.

“STOP!” Her squeal pierced the night air, as I poked her in the ribs. “You are such a dumb jock!”

“Yeah…but I’m your dumb jock!” I smiled widely, but inside I was a bit nervous. Would she react the way she always used to, or were things, really, going to be different, now? Her reply would tell me, if things were okay again.

“Yeah…I guess I’ll always be stuck with your dumb butt!” My nervousness disappeared and turned into a huge smile. That was, exactly, the kind of response I had hoped for.

After walking Morgan, to her door, I headed home, myself. Nick had left the front light, and stairway light, on, for me. I climbed the stairs and headed into my room. Nick had set my duffel bag in the middle of the floor and I just kicked it to the side, as I stripped off my shirt. Lazily throwing my jeans, to the side, I crawl into bed. At least something was normal, again. This was one less thing, for me, to worry about. The sheets felt so good, as I curled up and quickly fell asleep, with a smile on my face.
Chapter Forty-Nine by alota_cookin
So far, this week has been great. It’s Wednesday now, and my friendship with Morgan has been fully restored, as if nothing ever happened. Needless to say, Sean was as shocked, as I was, about her reasons behind breaking things off. The first day was slightly awkward, but that faded away pretty quickly.

Morgan and I are back into our morning routine, with slight variation. We have to head out a bit earlier, because it takes longer, for her to get ready, for school. She has to tame her curls and put on her light make-up…things she never used to do. I get a kick out of standing there, watching her, though. How do chicks do that make-up stuff, without poking an eye out?

I am really glad that the trio is back to normal. After all, Spring Break starts after school, on Friday. Do you remember what that means? Yep. The big trip, to the family farm, is approaching quickly. I’m not sure how this trip is going to go and I’m not the only one who is nervous about the whole thing. Thank heavens that I will have Morgan to call, if things go haywire, or if I just need to vent.

“I’m home!” Throwing my bag, on the floor, I walk into the house, looking for any sign of life.

“We’re in here, BayBay!” AJ’s voice makes my ears perk up. I hadn’t expected him, to be here because Nick, Mason and I had to go to another counseling appointment, with Kevin, this afternoon. Walking into the living room gave me an even bigger shock.

“Hi, Baylee. How are you?” I was immediately engulfed, in a hug, by Howie. Now, I was really confused. What is going on, here? My mind was suddenly filled with possible reasons for the unexpected get together, as I took a seat, on the couch.

“Um…what’s going on?” Looking from Howie, over to AJ, I wait for an answer. Before either of them could respond, Nick came storming into the room.

“This is fucking peachy! All the flights are booked, so now, we’re going to have to drive!” Nick threw the phone, onto the coffee table, and plopped into the recliner. AJ’s head whipped, to look in Nick’s direction.

“Oh heeeeeell FUCK no! There is no way on God’s green Earth…no…not happening…uh uh…you’ve lost your damn mind, if you think, for a second that I am going to…no!” AJ stood up, shaking his head vigorously.

“A road trip? Are you serious?” Howie’s eyes went wide, as he stared down, at Nick. “And, what do you mean all the flights are booked? Didn’t you buy the tickets a month ago?” Tilting his head, Howie rested a hand on his hip. We all turned, hearing Mason come in the front door.

“Hey…” he looked around, with a confused expression. I just shrugged my shoulders because I still wasn’t, entirely, sure what was going on. “What’s going on?”

“Nicky boy, here, forgot to book our flight and now we have to drive to mother fucking KENTUCKY! GOD, Carter! How could you forget?” AJ’s eyebrows were furrowed, as he paced the living room floor. Mason dropped his book bag and sat in the recliner, opposite of Nick’s.

“So wait a second, here.” I finally piped up, looking from AJ, to Howie. “Are you two…”

“Going? Yes.” Howie nodded, sitting down, next to me, on the couch.

“Not anymore!” AJ put his hands up, as if he were being held up, by a robber. He even had that ‘deer in the headlights’ look, on his face. “There is no way...in hell…that you…or anyone else…is going to get me…in a car…with Kevin…on a fucking road trip.”

“Let’s all take a deep breath and think about this. Maybe we can just cancel?”

“No. We can’t cancel the trip, Nick. This is something we have to do…for all of us.” Good old Howie, going into his reasonable peacemaker mode, again. “We don’t have time to argue about it, right now…we need to get going. The appointment is in 20 minutes.”

“You guys are going with us, to the counselor?” Mason asked, staring up, at Howie. All three of the older men nodded, at me and Mason. I let out a loud sigh, knowing this was going to be a disaster. Not only did everyone, in this room, have grudges or issues, towards Kevin, but there were pending issues between the rest of us, too. Mason and I both stood, and headed upstairs.

“This is going to suck.” I mumbled, as we reached the top landing.

“Tell me about it!” Mason shook his head and we parted ways, into our own rooms. I quickly changed into a pair of baggy black cargo jeans, and my favorite Miami Dolphins jersey. My glance caught sight, of my dad’s journal. Hmm, it’s just small enough…

“You boys ready?” A light knock, on my door, accompanied AJ’s voice. Snatching up the journal, I quickly slipped it into my right cargo pocket. You never know, if it might come in handy. Taking a look, in my mirror, I straightened my jersey, before opening the door and stepping into the hallway. I came face to face, with AJ.

“It’s going to be fine, BayBay.” He slung an arm over my shoulder. “It can’t be that bad, right?” I could see it, in his eyes, that he was as nervous, as I was. My thoughts drifted, for a moment, back to our unplanned Christmas vacation. There was no doubt, as to why AJ wasn’t looking forward to this, and I didn’t blame him, not one bit! Hopefully we will, all, work some things out and things will get better.

“Yeah, JayJay. We can all do this…it’s just talking…no big deal.” I nodded, trying, not only to convince him, but to convince myself, as well. Mason came out, of his room, and joined the conversation. He must have heard what was said, because he jumped right in.

“Right. We can do this.”

“I love both of you, boys.” AJ pulled us into a small group hug. I think all three, of us, needed a little pep talk and support, before we headed downstairs and to the appointment. When we descended the stairs, we found Nick and Howie patiently waiting. The five, of us, exchanged looks and headed out the door.

“Alright,” Nick cut the engine, once we arrived, and turned in his seat. Looking around to each, of us, he drew in a deep breath. “I know this sucks, for everyone. I’m with you all, on that. But it can’t be that bad, right? We’ll just go in there and…you know…talk…or whatever. We’re all men…we can handle it…not a big deal.”

“Yeah…we were kinda already talking about that.” I nodded, trying to force a smile. See…this is the last session, before the trip, and we knew that all heck was going to break loose. There were still a lot of unsaid things and it was now, or never. None of us were prepared, for this trip and this was our last shot. I’m pretty sure that everyone knew, since AJ and Howie were attending, this was going to be more intense than it has been, in the past. Were any of us prepared? Doubtful!

“Oh come on already. We need to suck it up and get this shit done!” AJ was resorting, to his tough ‘I have no emotions and I don’t give a shit’ attitude. He had that cold look, on his face, like he didn’t care about anything. If you ask me, I think it’s a defense mechanism. But…I’m not the counselor. All four doors opened, at the same time, as we climbed out. We gathered at the front, of the truck, and took a collective deep breath, before heading into the building.

“Come on in, gentlemen.” The woman greeted, us, holding open the door. Although this was, somewhat of, a normal routine…I had a really odd feeling about this session. Never the less, we all followed her, back to the room where Kevin was waiting.

“Hi.” Kevin immediately stood up, licking his lips, nervously. It was a rare thing, to see him nervous, but yet I’m sure he was preparing for everyone to gang up, on him and there was no guarantee that it wouldn’t happen, either.

“Hi dad.” Mason stepped to him, giving him a hug. Kevin leaned down, wrapping his arms around Mason, holding him tightly. AJ had already taken position in the back corner, of the room, with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. Nick and Howie plopped into a couple of the plush chairs, as I just walked over to the window, looking out over the parking lot.

“Alright…let’s get started then.” The woman sat down, pen and paper in hand, looking around at us. “So…your trip begins Friday, correct?”

“Huh…maybe…” AJ scoffed, pursing his lips and shaking his head.

“Maybe?” The woman looked up, at him, confused. I closed my eyes, leaning my head back. This was where it all started…I could feel it, in the air. I bet you could cut the tension, with spoon…you wouldn’t even need a knife!

“Psh…Carter forgot to book the plane.” I was a bit shocked that AJ left it there, and didn’t elaborate on his feelings, about the road trip. Anyone could tell that he was just chomping, at the bit, wanting to unravel on someone…mainly Kevin.

“We’re going to drive.” Howie offered up, in a soft voice. All eyes turned, to him. Some were shocked, others were mad, and the rest were confused. The woman was about to speak, when Nick piped up.

“It was an accident…I meant to book the flight last month, but some things came up and I forgot.” Nick fiddled with his hands, looking like a scolded child. He wouldn’t look up, at anyone, and he seemed like he was preparing for a beating.

“It’s not much of a surprise.” Kevin spoke, lifting his head to look at Nick.

“Don’t start your shit Kevin!” AJ stepped away, from the corner, and stood between Kevin and Nick. I leaned against the window, preparing for things to start getting heated.

“I’m not starting anything, Alex…”

“It’s AJ, to you! Only my family and friends can call me Alex!” AJ pointed his finger, at Kevin, with the meanest look on his face. The woman just sat there, scribbling on her little notepad, not saying a word.

“Calm down, AJ.” Howie stepped up, resting a hand on AJ’s shoulder, trying to offer comfort or support.

“Calm down? Nice. Hm…how about you stop acting like everything is just fucking peachy, huh? We all know that you have some issues with Kevin…how about you stop acting like they don’t exist?” AJ had turned, shrugging off Howie’s hand, and was, now, looking directly at him. It seemed like a challenge, but I doubted that Howie would comply, with it.

“So, who doesn’t have an issue, with me?” Kevin asked, looking at the floor. AJ laughed, sarcastically, with fire in his eyes and responded in a harsh voice.

“Your wife, Kris…oh…wait a minute…” AJ smirked at his comment, knowing it would strike a cord, but everyone else looked on, in horror, as Kevin hopped up. Kevin’s face was red, as he stared down, at AJ.

“How dare you!” Kevin shouted, looking at AJ, with a matching fire, in his eyes. AJ stood firm…I think I, even, flinched more than AJ did. Their eyes burned into one another, for a few moments, and the tension grew even thicker.

“How dare I…how dare I? Are you fucking serious, dude? I’m not the one who…fucking…got…her…shot..Kevin!” AJ is known for hitting, below the belt, when he’s angry, but that was harsh.

“Ok…whoa…” Nick stepped between them, resting one hand on Kevin’s chest and the other on AJ’s. “Let’s not start tossing stuff into each other’s faces. It will only get ugly, if we do.”

“So now he decides to act like an adult.” Kevin mumbled under his breath. My eyes widened and I, immediately, stepped over to where Mason was sitting. This was, only, getting worse, with every passing moment. Every word was making things worse. Wasn’t that lady going to step in, and do her job? Any time would be good!

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Nick took a step, toward AJ, and looked at Kevin, with wide eyes.

“Fuck…here we go!” AJ threw his hands, in the air and walked over, to the window.

“You know what I mean Nickolas.” You know, seriously, I thought this woman was supposed to be doing something, other than just sitting there.

“Oh that’s right…I’m a fuck up because I’m not your clone! Duh…I forgot again. Oh, but wait…Baylee responds so much better, when I act like myself! When I scream at him, he rebels against me, but when I support him, he listens. Perhaps there’s a fucking reason Brian picked me. Even if I am some stupid, goofy, childish and immature blonde…maybe I am doing something right!” Nick’s eyes portrayed hurt and rejection.

“Well Brian wasn’t always the best judge of character.” Kevin chuckled, looking away.

“EXCUSE ME?!?” Nick blurted. I stepped toward the group, my eyebrows furrowed and anger rose in my body. It was my turn to say my piece!

“You need to leave my dad out of this!” I shouted, as Kevin met my gaze. “I don’t know why you thought my dad was such a horrible parent…or why you think Nick is so bad…you’re worse than BOTH of them could ever be!”

“You don’t know the first thing about your father, Baylee, so just stay out of it!” Kevin glared at me, as Nick went to step between us. I huffed, my chest rising rapidly, as my eyes narrowed.

“Way to be a man, Kevin. Go ahead and knock down Brian, when he’s not even with us anymore, to defend himself. You call me immature! We’re supposed to let Brian’s memory live strong, for Baylee, not tear him down!” Nick rested his hand across my chest, protectively.

“It’s okay Nick.” I bent slightly, reaching into my cargo pocket. “For your information…Kevin…I know a lot about my dad!” Pulling the journal, out of my pocket, I slammed it into Kevin’s chest. “Read it and weep…you’ve been an ass for a long time. My dad was sick of you, too!”

“At least he’s trying to change!” Mason blurted, standing up, from the couch. “Not that my dad’s great, or anything.” He sighed, plopping back down. “At least your dad loved you.”

“I love you, Mason!” Kevin looked, at Mason, with wide eyes. All eyes were, now, on Mason, as he stood back up and walked to his father.

“Oh really? Could have fooled me! You never spend time with me…you’re always yelling at me…you even want to keep me away from all, of them, just because they don’t do everything the way you want them to! How is that fair, dad?” Mason’s eyes were watering, and I was feeling really so bad, for him. Kevin stood there, with his mouth hanging open. “Huh, dad? Got nothing to say? You chose your drugs, over me! You spent your time high, or yelling at everyone, instead of taking me to play ball! You weren’t even there for me when mom died! No! It was Baylee, Morgan and Nick that were there for me. But…it was supposed to be YOU! How am I supposed to believe that you love me, dad? All I want is…is for you…to love me!”

“Mason…I…” Kevin choked, his own eyes watering. Wrapping my arms around, a now sobbing, Mason, I gave him a tight hug.

“Oh yeah…looks like you aren’t as fucking perfect as you think, now are you, Kevin?” AJ piped back up, aggression dripping, from his voice.

“Sounds, to me, like maybe you might be the bad parent!” Nick argued, his voice rising, again. Both men stepped up, to Kevin, in a protective manner, separating Mason, and I, from Kevin.

“More like a shitty ass parent, if you ask me! How can you justify neglecting your own son?” AJ’s eyebrows furrowed, his face nearing Kevin’s. Things were really getting out of hand, as AJ, Nick and Kevin all started screaming, at the same time, choice words flying in every direction. I couldn’t make out what was being said, as their voices continued to increase, in volume.

“ENOUGH!” Howie’s voice carried over, the commotion, but still didn’t stop the verbal fight. He tried to step in, as Mason and I backed up. “I SAID ENOUGH OF THE, FUCKING, FIGHTING!” Howie screamed, his face turning as red, as the other men’s. “I have had enough of this shit!” The room went silent as Howie continued on. “I have spent too many, damn, years being the stupid peacemaker, and I am tired of it! All three, of you, need to just sit your asses down!”

“Yes, please…” the woman, finally spoke. “…we’ve gotten a little bit out, in the open. Now we are going to try to talk some more, in a more productive manner. Shall we?”

I was surprised when everyone sat down and shut up. Mason and I sat on each side, of Nick, as he, protectively, put his arms around us, again. Kevin was in the corner chair, away from the group. Howie and AJ sat in chairs that were by the couch. Everyone looked around, for a moment, before turning their attention, to the counselor.
End Notes:
Hey! I think I'm on a roll, so you might see another chapter really soon! Thanks, to all of you, for reading and reviewing...I appreciate it very much!
Chapter Fifty by alota_cookin
You know, I'd tell you all about the rest of the counseling session but it's pointless, because everyone clammed up and wouldn’t say anything. The counselor was pushing for everyone to talk about their feelings, but Mason and I were the only ones who really said anything. I read a few lines from dad's journal, about how stressed he was because of Kevin's actions and how much he wished their relationship could go back to like it was, when they were younger. My uncle Kevin started crying when I was reading about how hurt my dad was. I think maybe he's starting to realize how badly he has hurt all of us. I guess this trip will tell, huh?

Other wise than that, everyone kept quiet and danced around the counselor's questions, beating around the bush and not really letting anything come out. I guess it's true, how men really hate to talk about their feelings. That would explain why the kids were the only ones really saying much…we aren’t men, yet. I don't want to be like that, when I am older. Maybe having a girl, as my best friend will help me to avoid being so shut off, about my feelings. I admit, I spill my guts to her, but you knew that, already.

I think that if they all, my dad included, would have just talked about things, to begin with, we wouldn’t all be in such a mess of emotions, now. They miss each other, I know they do. They used to be so close and I just know that they all want to be, like that, again. Too bad it won't happen unless they start talking things out. You know...I really didn't say a whole bunch, but for the small amount of talking that I did, I already feel a little better. Like maybe there is an end to this...and furthermore, maybe the end is near.

Sure, I might only be 15 years old, but I’m not a moron. I can see things that go on, and I have opinions on them. Maybe I’m wrong about some of this, but it just seems so obvious. I know you’re going to tell me that I need to take my own advice, but I think it’s long past time for them to forgive and forget.

Alright, setting all that aside, I have to focus. Here I am, freshly showered, and standing in my boxers, when I am supposed to be getting ready. Honestly, I’m not sure how, but I had completely forgotten about tonight’s school dance, until Morgan called me and hour ago. Now where did I put my pants? They’re around here somewhere…

“Baylee?” A soft voice accompanied the light knock. Go figure…she’s early.

“Come in Morgs, I’m basically descent.”

“What do you mean ‘basically’?” The door cracked open, slightly.

“I’m in my boxers, Morgan, it’s ok.” I snickered. She walked in once, when I was in just a towel and she about freaked out. I had told her I was covered…and I was…but, evidently, it wasn’t enough coverage. “AHA! I found them!” I held my pants, high, in the air, with a grin. I started hopping on one foot, my curls bouncing all over, as I tried to get my leg in.

“You’re a dork, Baylee.” She shook her head and sat on my bed. “Um…Bay?”

“Yeah?” I looked up, after I finally got my pants up. I fiddled with the clip thing, but this one doesn’t like…to…clip. I sighed, continuing to fiddle with the thing. I started mumbling, under my breath, “Why can’t dress pants have buttons, like normal pants?” Maybe some dress pants do…but these ones sure don’t! They’ve got some little metal clip thing that’s a bugger to get…

“For pete sake, Baylee!” Morgan sighed, getting on the floor and kneeling in front of me. I looked down at her, trying to see how she did it, as her fingers slipped into the waist band of my pants and, easily, clipped the thing. “There.” I slowly let out the breath, that I didn’t even realize, I was holding. She stood up and our eyes locked, just staring into each other.

“So…uh…” I shook my head, breaking our stare, and turned to my dresser, pulling out a white wife beater. “You were…gonna…ask me something?” I swallowed hard, pulling the wife beater over my head and turning back around. What had just happened there? I mean…I know she was helping me…but…I just…never mind.

“Oh…right…I was going to ask if maybe…could you…help me…a little?” She fiddled with her fingers, not looking up at me. Figures that she’d get all shy, on me, now.

“Sure…with what?” Knowing Morgan, she probably just needs help with the zipper, on her dress.

“This is going to sound dumb…but…”

“Spit it out.” I rolled my eyes and tilted my head, as I raised my eyebrows, waiting. Do all chicks beat around the bush, like this, because, this is a bit annoying. I mean, shouldn’t she know, already, that she can ask me, just about, anything?

“Well…see…I haven’t exactly mastered this whole new hair style thing. I mean…I can do the front and all, but the back…well…” Morgan trailed off, mid stutter. Letting a smirk cross my lips, I chuckled. I should have known. The poor girl isn’t used to doing all of that super girly stuff.

“Come on, then…I’m sure it can’t be too difficult.” Grabbing her hand, I pulled her up. “I’m guessing you brought everything we’ll need?” I watched her dig into her bag, pulling out a curling iron, hair spray, combs, mousse, and all sorts of other stuff. “Wow! I never knew there was so much stuff involved!”

“Yeah…neither did I. Do you…uh…do you think you can help?” The poor girl’s face pleaded with me. As if I would refuse, anyways, she is my best friend. Not that I knew if I could do any better, at this, than her. I’ve never, in my life, used a curling iron!

“It’s worth a shot. Plug the curling iron in, by the desk, then you can sit in the desk chair. I’ll do my best, but I can’t guarantee salon quality!” Laughing again, I looked over all the products she had set on the desk. A few minutes later, she was sitting in the chair and I was working, away, on her hair, as she gave me instructions. Who knew you had to curl curls? I snickered, at the thought. It was a, good, half hour later, before I finally finished curling her hair.

“Thanks Bay.” She smiled and gave me a hug, before heading to her own room, to finish getting ready. All I had to do was put on my dress shirt and fix my own hair, and then I would be ready. Once I was done, I headed downstairs. Nick was going to drop us off, at the school, where I would meet up with Allison. She was, kind of, my date for the dance, but the plan was really for me, Morgan, Allison, and Sean to all hang out as a group.

“Ready?” Nick startled me, making me jump up from the couch. I whipped around, seeing him, and AJ, standing in the doorway. Nick, immediately, started cracking up. “Well don’t you look handsome, Bay. Your dad would be beaming, right about now.”

“He’s right, on that note, BayBay. You do look very handsome!” He faked sniffles and continued, “Our little boy is growing up…so…so faaaaaast!” Sniffling again, he rested his face on Nick’s shoulder. Before I could react, Nick whipped out a camera and snapped a picture.

“Could you, at least, warn me, Nick? I mean, my eyes were probably closed!” I raised a brow, and he just chuckled. I straightened my shirt and posed, for him to take a nice picture.

“I’ll have to get one, once Morgan comes down.” Nick grinned, practically, skipping into the other room. I swear that man acts like he really was my father. He dresses up for my big games, he cracks down on me when I slack off, and he gets all giddy about things like a school dance.

“BAYLEE!” Morgan shouted, from upstairs. Walking toward the stairs, I looked up, but didn’t see her. Nick and AJ came up behind me, looking concerned. “I don’t think I like this dress.”

“Oh, is that all? You always say that, Morgan. Just come down here and let me see.” Rolling my eyes, I shoved my hands into my pockets. This was rather typical, for her, really. She’s never been one to wear what was ‘in style’, but yet she tends to worry about what people think.

“Morgan, honey, I’m sure you look beautiful. You always do,” AJ offered some comforting words. I told you that my family loved her. All of the guys enjoyed having her around, and were always willing to offer her some kind words, to ease her insecurities.

“Okay…just…don’t laugh!” She shouted, poking her head around the corner. Visibly taking a deep breath she stepped to the top stair. “I saw it, in the store, and I liked it…but…now, I’m not so sure.” I stood frozen, looking over the floor length black dress. It hugged her body, a slit running up the side, to just above her knee. Little sparkles made a flowered design around the bottom and up the side. The dress was hot!

“I uh…it’s…um…you uh…” Since when do I stutter, around Morgan? It’s just Morgan! She slowly started down the stairs, gripping the rail, trying not to fall in her strappy black heels. When I was helping her, with her hair, I thought she was going to leave it, the way it was, but she had pulled in up into an elegant type of French twist thing, leaving several curls out to frame her face.

“You look just fine, Morgan.” Nick piped up, covering my dumb stammering.

“Dude…Nickolas!” AJ smacked him on the arm and rolled his eyes. “You never tell a woman that she looks ‘fine’. I know you think that’s a compliment, but in female terms, that’s as bad as saying she looks like a blind horse that got dressed in the dark! Haven’t I taught you anything?” When she reached the bottom, of the stairs, AJ pulled her into a hug, “You look stunning, honey…absolutely beautiful…and the dress is perfect!” AJ smiled warmly, as I continued to stare, at my best friend, like a complete doufus! Silver earrings dangled, from her ears, and matched the dainty necklace that was settled in the ‘V’ of her dress. Overall…yeah…she looked like she had just stepped out of a high fashion magazine…or maybe even off the red carpet.

“That’s what I meant.” Nick offered her a cheesy smile that made her laugh. She stepped into Nick’s arms, next, for a hug. Look at me…I’m still standing here gawking! Snap out of it, Baylee Thomas…geesh!

“…Bay…” AJ cleared his throat, snapping me out of my trance. It’s not my fault that I’ve never seen her look, like this, before. I was used to my, good old, jeans and a t-shirt Morgan…my vintage clothing Morgan…my, shy, computer wiz Morgan…my out of the ordinary Morgan…my never follows the trends Morgan…not this put together, in style, cheerleading, confident, ‘can’t take my eyes of her’ Morgan. This was going to take a great deal, of getting used to!

“You uh…wow Morgan…I um…wow…” Oh yeah…that was smooth! I wouldn’t blame her if she came up and smacked me! I’m her best friend for cripe sakes…I shouldn’t be practically drooling. Now, I’ve told you before that I have always thought she was pretty…not the amazing, knock your socks off, take your breath away, pretty…but still pretty, none the less. Well…so much for that because I definitely lost my breath tonight! Now, she’s, not only, an amazingly beautiful person, on the inside, but she looks it, on the outside, too.

“Nice, Baylee…that’s more of a compliment than Nick, or I, could have ever given!” AJ cracked up, making my cheeks flush a bit. There’s nothing like having a father figure point out your most embarrassing moments. I was going to have to work, overtime, at the dance tonight, because every guy in school will flock, to her! Good thing I would have Sean for backup!

“So…it’s okay?” Insecurity filled her voice, as she bit her bottom lip and looked at each of us. Nick smiled widely and nodded.

“It’s more than okay, Morgan, honey.” AJ re-stated, putting an arm around her. “Now…we need some pictures…no…a lot of pictures. Ah, to be young again! Enjoy it while it lasts…before you know it, you’ll be looking at the pictures, wondering where the time went!” Morgan came over, standing next to me, as AJ and Nick stepped back to take pictures. I swallowed the lump, in my throat, and slipped my arm around her waist. We smiled for a few pictures and then I turned to her.

“Morgan…”

“Yeah, Bay?” She bit at her lip again. I think she was nervous, but I’m not sure why she would have been. The guys already complimented her enough, to make her feel confident.

“Um…” I tried to ignore the flash that went off, and continued. “…you really do look…pretty…I mean…” Pretty? Was that the best that I could come up with? How pathetic. I drew in a deep breath and started over. “You look great, Morgan…you really do.” A deep blush covered her cheeks, but the nervous look went away. I leaned in and kissed her cheek, causing another flash to go off. What is it with them? They are worse than real parents!

“Thank you, Baylee. That means a lot, coming from you.” A bright smile crept onto her face…and another flash went off. It means a lot, coming from me? What does that mean?

“Seriously, guys…enough with the pictures, already!” I looked over, at them, giving them a playful scowl. Taking Morgan’s hand, I lead her to the door, as Nick grabbed his keys.

We all climbed into the car and headed to the school. As we pulled up, I immediately, spotted Sean and Allison, waiting for us. Nick pulled up, to the curb and I got out, holding my hand out, to help Morgan. Hey…Nick might not be Mr. Casanova, but with AJ’s help, he had taught me how to be a gentleman. She took my hand, and scooted toward me, letting one leg slide out of the car.

“Hey Baylee!” Sean greeted, happily, as he came toward me, Allison following behind. I firmly held Morgan’s hand, as she slipped, the rest of the way, out of the car and stood up. “Holy…” Sean’s voice cracked, and squeaked, at the same time then he went silent. His jaw dropped and his eyes were glued open, as he looked over her. HA! I wasn’t the only best friend that had that ‘eye popping, lose your breath’ reaction. Although, he has an excuse, because he has a huge crush on her. So where does that leave me…what’s my excuse?

“You look so pretty, Morgan!” Allison beamed, giving her a hug. Allison’s dress was very similar, to Morgan’s, except it was a light pink and only knee length. Her long hair was in a nice French braid that hung down her back. So, basically, they both looked amazing! How were Sean, and I, going to survive the night?

“Shall we?” I asked, nudging Sean, with my elbow. His head snapped, to look at me, and then nodded. I placed Allison’s hand onto my forearm. Sean did the same, with Morgan’s hand, and we escorted the girls, to the front door.

The four, of us, danced in a group for most of the night, except when slow songs played. Morgan danced, with me, for only two slow dances…the rest I spent dancing, with Alli. The yearbook editor even took a couple group pictures, of us…Sean on one end, then Morgan, me, and Allison. Sean had his arm around Morgan’s shoulders, and I had my arms around both girls’ waists. Morgan and I were pulled aside, later, for team photos, too. We all paired up, like usual, the guys standing behind their ‘assigned’ cheerleader. The cheerleaders stood, their backs leaning against us, as we set our hands, on their hips. In her heels, Morgan was, pretty close to, my height, so I rested my cheek against hers. Three flashes went off, before we all broke apart.

The dance was great and we all had a blast, but we were really worn out, by the time we got home. Guess what, though…I kissed Allison, for the first time, tonight. It wasn’t anything major, just a quick good night kiss, but it was nice ending, to the night.

Crawling into bed, I glanced at dad’s journal. Reaching out my hand, I trace my fingers over the binding. “I miss you guys…I wish you where here, tonight, so you could have seen me. Nick and AJ said that I looked really handsome, and that you would have been beaming. They took a lot of pictures. I’m sure mom would have cried. Morgan was beautiful, tonight, and I think I may have a girlfriend, now. Her name is Allison…I think you, both, would like her.” I let out a long yawn and snuggled, down, into my blankets. “Well…I love you…good night.” I flipped off my bed side lamp, and closed my eyes, falling asleep quickly.
End Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great and I really appreciate it!
Chapter Fifty-One by alota_cookin
I held open the door of Slick Sammy Snake’s Sinister Sodas, Subs, Soups & Salads, for Morgan and Allison then Sean followed me in to the large restaurant. It was a popular teen hang out with an outrageous name, pool tables, air hockey, fuse ball, pinball games, and other arcade games, not to mention the awesome food! The walls were bright green and splattered with other brightly colored paints. There were colored lights that hung from the ceiling. The tables were tall, and your feet hung a foot off the ground, when you sat in the stools. But the coolest thing was the two shelves that went all the way around the room, near the ceiling…they were lined with every possible hot sauce known to man, from all different countries. S8, as we called it, always smelled like an odd mixture of toasted subs and text books, and there was rarely ever an adult around, except the couple that owned the place.

“Man, have I missed this place! It’s been weeks since we’ve come here!” Sean smiled, sitting on a stool, at the back corner table. He was right…it had been almost a month, since we’d come here, to hang out. We used to be here, almost, every afternoon.

“Me too!” Morgan smiled, sitting next to Sean. We all picked up menus that were standing in the center, of the table, between salt, pepper and parmesan shakers. I already knew what I was going to order…the toasted turkey club, with all the fixin’s and curly fries. My stomach rumbled, just thinking, about it.

“What can I get for you kids, today?” Judy asked, smiling at us, holding a notepad, in her hand.

“Um…I’d like the chicken alfredo sub, please, with chips and a Coke.” Allison smiled, setting the menu back in its spot. Everyone’s eyes turned to Morgan, who looked confused. I rolled my eyes, knowing she couldn’t decide what she wanted. Haven’t I mentioned her inability, to decide what she wants to eat, before?

“Oh geesh, Morgan.” I shook my head and looked, back, up, at Judy. “She’ll have the ham and swiss toasted sub, hold the mustard and onion. Let’s see…pair that with some crinkle fries, a Coke and a Strawberry shake. I’ll have the toasted turkey club, no onion, with curly fries, a Coke, and a chocolate shake. Can we have the shakes come out with the food, instead of with the drinks, please? We’ll also take an order of fried mushrooms and one of mozzarella sticks, for the table to share.” I nodded, satisfied, and set the menu in its place.

“Sure thing, dear.” Judy nodded, scribbling our orders onto her little tablet.

“Nicely done, Bay!” Sean snickered, setting his menu back and looking up. “I’ll have the same as Baylee, but no shake.” Judy smiled widely and chuckled, as she walked away. “Come on Morgan, I challenge you to a game of pool!” Sean hopped up, tugging on Morgan’s arm.

“Okay…okay…I’m coming! Good grief.” Shaking her head, she slid off the stool, and followed Sean. They went to the closest pool table and Sean started racking up the balls. I stared at them for a few moments, before Allison’s voice brought me back.

“So you’re leaving tomorrow?” Ok…why did she have to bring up the trip? That was the last thing that I wanted to think about, right now!

“Yeah…it’s going to be jam packed with arguments and drama!” I gave her a wide smile and a mock excitement, in my voice. She giggled, knowing that I was faking the enthusiasm. “Seriously, I’ll probably come back with gray hair, from all the stress! We’re going to be stuck in a van, together, for the whole drive. Psh…we’ll be lucky if no one gets killed.”

“Oh, maybe it won’t be so bad. It could be productive, you know.” She offered a sweet smile and a pat, on my shoulder. Obviously, she didn’t know the guys!

“Yeah…well…you’d think differently, if you knew the guys. They aren’t exactly good at controlling themselves, their mouths, or their attitudes. They fight like brothers, because they practically are brothers. They’ve been around each other, non stop, for like….25 years, or something.” I tried to do the math, in my head, but it wasn’t working…I just knew they had been together for a long time!

“Holy…wow!” Looking at me with wide eyes, she set down the napkin she had been fiddling with.

“Yeah, it’s crazy.” Glancing over, at the pool table, I saw Morgan waiting her turn to shoot. The pool stick stood on its end, with her hands resting on top, of it, and her eyes are glued to me, but she looked away, when she saw me face her. There is definitely something up with her. I wonder if she has talked to her mom, about the whole grade skipping thing, yet. Or maybe she’s just thinking about me being gone, for a week.

Sean and Morgan joined us, again, after they finished their game. Morgan was shoving him, saying he cheated, as they sat, back, on their stools. It was only a few moments, later, before our food arrived and, boy, did it look awesome! Our conversation died down a bit, as we all dug into our food. Let me tell you, the food here tastes as good as it looks and smells…and that’s pretty darn good!

“They do that all the time…you’ll get used to it.” Sean snickered, as I reached across the table, to switch my chocolate shake, for Morgan’s strawberry.

“We share everything.” Looking at Allison, I shrugged my shoulders and gave her a lopsided grin. She grinned back, at me, and let go of a soft giggle.

“That’s why everyone thinks you two are dating.” I lifted a brow, as Sean burst into a fit, of laughter. “Well…it’s true! At one point, or another, everyone has thought it!”

“Oh…well my sister, and I, are the same way.” Allison spoke up, leaning forward, to rest her forearms on the table. “It just comes with being so super close, to someone.” I smiled, as she shrugged her shoulders, like it was completely normal. Maybe it is completely normal. Then again, I am really close to Sean, too…but I would never share a milkshake with him. The thought of sharing a straw, with him, gives me the heebie jeebies!

“Well…the perception of us dating is completely preposterous! I mean, how absurd…”

“Oh great…here she goes.” Sean mumbled, as Morgan continued on, rolling her eyes and waving her hands around.

“..to assume…that me and…and you…” Morgan pointed a finger at me, as we all sat with our eyes glues to her. “After all, it’s not like you like me…or I like you! It’s incredulous to conclude something that harebrained! Just because…”

“Morgan…” My eyebrows rose, as I looked at her, trying to stop her rambling. I wasn’t quite sure why she was rambling. She usually only rambles when she’s nervous. Maybe she’s worried about Allison believing that there is something between us.

“…we’re close friends, doesn’t condone people thinking such idiotic concepts. I swear high school is satiated with inequitable rumors and gossip!” Sean and I looked at each other, rolling our eyes, yet, again.

“Morgan…” Both of us tried to get her attention, but it didn’t seem to be working. I let out a sigh, tilting my head, as Sean tried to suppress his laughter. Allison just looked from me, to Sean, and then to Morgan, not really sure what to think.

“I can’t even fathom the idea, really…”

“The last time she talked like this…” Sean leaned over, whispering to Allison, with a grin. “…she joined the cheerleading squad.” Allison looked to me, with a question, in her eyes. I just grinned and nodded.

“Just the thought, of you liking me…like that?” Morgan giggled at herself.

“MORGAN!!!” Sean and I shouted, finally grabbing her attention and bringing it back, to the table. She looked at each, of us, and then turned a light shade, of pink.

“Right…sorry…” Morgan giggled again, grabbing her shake and gulping it down. Judy came and cleared our plates, from the table, helping to take the focus off poor Morgan. I’m not sure what her issue is, but I will have to worry about that later.

“Hey, BayBay!” AJ’s voice caught me, by surprise, as he came up, to our table. He is, probably, the only adult that could walk into S8, and not look out of place. The wife beater, he was wearing, showed off all of his tattoos. Man, I still want one!

“Uh…hi JayJay…what are you doing here?” I furrowed my eyebrows, in confusion, wondering what he wanted. Allison looked at him in…awe? Astonishment? Shock? I wasn’t sure what was going through her head, but her eyes were wide, as she looked him over.

“Psh…you’ll never guess! Hell…it’s like a historic event!” He smirked, leaning his hands onto the table. “You gotta head home. You might as well bring the whole group, even...call the basketball team…the football team…any of your friends, and tell them to get to the house.”

“Why? What’s going on?” I lifted a brow, still looking at him, in utter confusion.

“What do you mean, ‘a historic event’, AJ?” Morgan piped up, as he slug an arm, over her shoulders. He was grinning from ear, to ear, as he looked from her, to me. Extending an arm in front, of him, he got a very dramatic look, on his face.

“House party at the Carter, Littrell, Richardson house!”

“WHAT?!?” Morgan, Sean, and I looked at him, with our jaws dropped and eyes wide. Was he serious? A party? At our house? No…not possible!

“YES! Can you believe it? All the Carter kids are there, already. So is Howie, Leigh, Riley, and, just about, everyone else that you can think of.” Nodding his head, he snagged a drink, of my Coke. “So, get your butts up, and let’s go, already!”

“Are you serious? Nick? Allowing…hosting…a party?” I looked at him with a raised brow, confused, but then turned serious. “What did you do…hit him on the head or get him drunk?”

“Never mind how it happened, BayBay! The point is that it’s happening.” AJ held out his hands, spreading his fingers and widening his eyes, like he was waiting for us to jump up. Luckily, for him, we did just that.

AJ swung by Allison’s house, and then Sean’s, so they could get any essential items. Next thing, I knew, we were at the house, pulling into the driveway. I was surprised to see so many cars, there. AJ was actually right…everyone was here! We all got out of AJ’s Escalade and could hear the music floating, from the house. Sean, Morgan, and I all ran toward the front door, with AJ and Allison close behind. Bursting through, the door, I was immediately attacked, by Aaron.

“BAYLEE!”

“AARON!” We wrestled, a bit, before he was dragged off, by his new girlfriend, Sarah. I turned around, facing my friends, who were standing behind me and talking amongst themselves. “Come on, guys, let’s paaaaaartaaaaay!”

“Hey, I’m going to head, to my room, and change, first.” Morgan grinned, looking to Allison. “Come on, Alli, I’ll show you around.” After Allison nodded, in agreement, the two girls made their way upstairs.

“Psh…girls.” Sean rolled his eyes, as we weaved through the crowd. I greeted everyone, on the way to the living room. I was shocked to see Kevin lounging, on the couch, watching the activities around him. Howie and Nick were goofing off, by the pool, and Mason was talking with some of his own friends. Looking to the other side, of the room, I caught a glimpse of AJ and Riley talking to Leigh and Angel. Scoping out the, rest of, the crowd, I took note of who was all there. The place was literally crawling, with people!

“Hey guys!” Morgan’s voice announced, that the two girls had rejoined us. I turned around, to find them both in swimsuits and shorts. Sean and I stood, for a moment, just staring at them. Is it just me, or have my hormonal thoughts been kicking in, a lot, lately?!?

“Feel better?” I asked, with a smirk. Who cares, if they felt better? They, definitely, looked better…well…not really better…but hotter. Does that even make sense? Hmm. Anyways, we headed out to the backyard and grabbed some snacks.

“You’re a dork, Baylee!” Morgan chuckled, giving my shoulder a shove. Lifting my shirt, over my head, I got a very familiar idea. A wicked smile crept to my lips, as I grabbed a hold, of her arms. “NO! Don’t you dare!” She fought against me, as we neared the pool.

“So it begins…” Sean let out a loud laugh, looking at Allison. I continued to wrestle, with Morgan, as I saw Sean running toward us. “Oh heck…” He laughed, as he ran and jumped, into the pool, causing a large splash that soaked me, Morgan, and Allison.

“Baylee Thomas!” A squeal escaped Morgan’s lips, as I spun her around. “WYLEE LITTRELL!!!” With one last move, I sent Morgan flying, into the pool. Unfortunately, for me, she pulled me in, with her. We both surfaced, coughing and gasping for air, as we started cracking up.

“Come on in, Alli. Nick always keeps the water nice, and warm!” I looked up at her, holding out my hand. The breath left my lungs, as Sean jumped onto my back, sending us, both, back under the water. Before coming, to the surface, I felt someone enter the water, close to us.

“WATER FIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!” Sean screamed, as we came back up.

“Get ready…” I warned Allison, who was now right beside me. I don’t think she knew what was coming, until people, from every direction, started running toward the pool. I watched AJ fly over us, executing a very nice cannon ball. Aaron and Mason were next, landing close to us. I looked around seeing people jump in, one, by one. BJ…then Howie…Riley and Leigh…Leslie and her boyfriend Mark…

“AAAAAAAAH…AH AH AH AAAAAAAH!!!!” Nick’s voice bellowed above the commotion, as he came barreling, out of the house. My eyes went wide, as he got closer, to the pool.

“CLEAR THE AREA!” Morgan and I shouted, trying to get away from the spot that Nick was aiming for. It was all in vein, though, because Nick landed only a few feet away, sending a wave, of water, over us. Sean, Morgan, Aaron, and I all began to splash water, at Nick. It didn’t take long, for everyone to start in, on the fight.

The night air was filled with the sounds of screams, and laughter, as the all out water fight, raged on. Everywhere I looked, people were wrestling and splashing…jumping on each other’s backs and dunking others under, the water. If you were in the pool…you weren’t safe!

“Baylee…look!” Mason came up to me, nodding his head, toward the lounge chairs that sat beside the pool. Looking over, I saw Kevin watching the activities. Both of us got wide grins, having the same idea. Forcing our way, to the other side of the pool, we got out and headed his way. His attention was focused, on the people, in the pool, and he didn’t even see us coming.

“We love you!” We smiled, as we gave him big, wet, hugs. His eyes went wide, as he realized that he was now soaked. Narrowing his eyes, the corner, of his mouth, went up into a smirk.

“Run Mason!” I screamed, as Kevin got up, from his seat. Chasing us around the pool, his smirk grew into a full smile. I couldn’t believe the way he was reacting. He didn’t yell, or get mad. Was he…actually…participating in the fun?!?

“I’ll get you, two!” His words hit my ears, just as I jumped, back, into the pool. Mason was close behind me, as we escaped, from him. Or so I thought. Coming up, out of the water, I was shocked to see Kevin right in front, of me. Playfully grabbing me, he wrestled me back, under the water. Mason hopped onto his back, as AJ appeared beside me. Before I knew what was going on, Nick and Howie were by our sides, too. All, of us, ganged up, on Kevin, pushing him under.

“Let me in, on this!” Aaron demanded, pushing through AJ and Howie. Suddenly, it was an all out brawl, between the seven, of us. The battle raged on, around us, as we wrestled, in the water. It was a good half hour, before everyone started to climb out, of the pool. I rejoined Allison, Morgan, and Sean, as we all stretched out on the tile, by the pool.

The rest of the night was just as eventful, but around midnight, Nick began ushering people out. After all, it was still a school night. I was thankful for a relaxed, fun filled, night. Quite honestly, I think we all needed it. Heck…even Kevin loosened up, a lot. Who knew? I guess he really was starting to get back to his old self. It was a part, of him, that I had never really seen, but I liked it. I had kissed Allison ‘good night’, before AJ took her and Sean home.

“Good night, guys.” I smiled, before turning to give Nick, Howie, AJ, and Kevin all a hug. Then, I kissed Leigh, Riley and Morgan, all, on the cheeks. You shouldn’t be surprised that Morgan was just going to stay in her room, here, tonight. The three, of us, kids, headed upstairs. I gave Morgan and Mason, each, a hug, as we separated, to our rooms.

Changing and laying down, in bed, I thought about what a good night, it had been. I was a lot more relaxed, and not so nervous, about the trip. Sure, it was still going to be stressful, but at least, I knew that everyone was still capable of letting loose and getting along. Turning out my light, I covered up. I said a soft ‘good night’ to my parents and God, before allowing my eyes to close and sleep, to overcome me.
Chapter Fifty-Two by alota_cookin
I stood on the front step, Friday afternoon, leaning against the pillar with my arms crossed and head tilted. A light breeze blew my curls around, as I let out another heavy sigh and tilted my head to the other side. Dark blue lens sunglasses shielded my eyes, from the bright sun and matched perfectly, with my dark blue jean shorts and black football jersey. My bags were packed and sitting, one on each side, of me. Pure irritation was written, all over my face, as I stood impatiently waiting. I had said my ‘good-bye’s to Allison and Sean after school. Morgan, on the other hand, had just left, not even, ten minutes ago. I glanced, down, at Mason, who was sitting on the step, head in his hands, as we waited for the adults to stop arguing.

Obviously, last night’s carefree and relaxed atmosphere was short lived. When I left, for school, this morning, everyone was still in fairly good spirits. By the time I got home, however…Morgan and I walked into an extremely tense house. Looking around, we decided it was best to just head to my room. Go figure, she had to help me finish packing. I guess I was putting it off as long as I could. The argument, before me, was exactly the reason why I was dreading this trip.

“Okay…so I’ll drive.” Nick stated, putting his two bags into the, back of, the rental van. There was no way all six, of us, would fit into any of the vehicles that the guys owned...so, Nick had no choice but to rent a van. How many famous people, do you know that, drive a mini van? Definitely not any of the Backstreet Boys…I can tell you that!

“Screw that!” AJ, huffed, tossing his own bags into the back, grabbing the keys from Nick’s hand. “Dude…Nick…if you drive we’ll end up stopping a hundred times, getting lost, re-finding our way, stopping another hundred times, missing our exit, taking a wrong turn, stopping more, and then ending our asses all the way, the fuck, up in Canada somewhere.” Nick’s eyes were wide, with offense, at AJ’s hostility. AJ motioned to everyone, but Nick, as he continued. “But none, of us, will even be awake to know the damn difference. Why? Because we’ll be passed the fuck out, from the toxic ass gas that’s going to be drifting from you, since you just ate an entire bag of them damn Barbeque Pork Rinds! Heeeeeeeell FUCK no…I’m driving!”

“I can drive.” Howie offered, with a shrug. Needless to say, nerves were on edge. AJ was the worst, but we were all tense and anxious. I was, a bit, taken back, by the level of AJ’s hostility. He wasn’t normally like this to anyone, besides Kevin.

“Yeah right Howard. If Nick drives, we’ll end up in Canada, but at least we’ll get there within two days. You drive…and we’ll get to Kentucky fine, but it won’t be until next month, because you drive like an old lady. I’m driving…end of discussion. Come on, boys, load up!”

“Somebody is a bit hostile, today.” I mumbled, to Mason, as I bent over and picked up my bags. “Shot gun!” My voice rose above the dying commotion, as I headed toward the van. Slipping my duffel bags into the back, I kept out my backpack. Since it was going to be a long drive, I brought along some of my school work, a couple books that Morgan gave me to read, my music player, my dad’s journal, and some magazines that I snagged from Morgan’s room.

Not much else was said, as everyone loaded into the van. I slouched, down, into the passenger seat, as AJ pulled out of the driveway. Nick and Mason were sitting right behind us, while Kevin and Howie sat in the far back. Everyone remained quiet, as AJ pulled onto the main road. After the first half hour, of silence, I reached into my bag and pulled out a book. A very typical ‘Morgan’ type book, too…Shakespeare. Two Gentlemen of Verona, to be exact.

Cease to persuade, my loving Proteus;
Home-keeping youth have ever homely wits;
Wer’t not affection chains thy tender days
To the sweet glances of they honour’d love,
I rather would entreat thy company
To see the wonders of the world abroad,
Than, living dully sluggardiz’d at home,
Wear out thy youth with shapeless idleness.
But since thou lov’st, lovestill, and thrive therein,
Even as I would, when I to love begin.


I blinked rapidly, staring at the page, with a lifted brow. What…in the halibut…is that?!? Was I supposed to understand what that meant? Because I, most certainly, did not! After closing the book, I stuffed it into my bag. Just that paragraph was enough, to give me a headache!

“Sweet! It’s the ‘Five O’clock Flashback!” AJ grinned, his hostility subsiding, as he turned up the radio. At least, this was something that everyone should enjoy…to some extent, or another. Some, of the songs, I wasn’t too familiar with, but others I knew by heart. The hour long segment was complied of, a vast mix of, 80’s, 90’s and 00’s music. The first bars, of a very familiar song, floated through the speakers. By the time the chorus filled the van, everyone was, at least, lip syncing along…even Kevin!

“I like big butts, and I can not lie! All, you otha brotha’s can’t deny…when a girl walks in, with a itty bitty waist and a round thing, in yo face, you get sprung!” Mason and I were singing, at the top, of our lungs, while everyone else only lip synced or sung softly. AJ turned and looked at me, with a cocked brow, turning down the radio.

“First of all…you two boys don’t know the first thing, about being sprung! Secondly…you all are way too white, to sing that song!” AJ snickered, shaking his head.

“And all the girlie say…I’m pretty fly…” I sang out, peeking back, at Mason.

“FOR A WHITE GUY!” Mason chimed in, with me, and then started cracking up.

“Besides, AJ…dude…you’re white, too!” Nick leaned forward, looking at AJ. “OW! Mom says it’s not okay, to hit!” He pouted, rubbing the spot, on his forehead, where AJ had smacked him.

Nick sat back and everyone fell, back, into a silence. The radio was the only thing that penetrated that silence, and it was only playing softly, now. It felt a bit awkward, although not quite as tense, as it was before we left. None the less, the silence was annoying! Digging out my music player, I slouched, down, in my seat. Leaning against the door, I propped my elbow on the armrest, and closed my eyes.

“Baylee…Baylee…yo, BayBay, wake up!” AJ’s voice broke my thoughts…well, I guess, they were dreams. I hadn’t even realized that I fell asleep. Looking around, I see that it is dark, and we are stopped at a gas station. The parking lot is nearly deserted. There is only one street light, and it is flickering inconsistently.

“Where are we?” I let out a long yawn, walking around to where AJ stood, pumping gas. Obviously, everyone else was in the store, already, looking for snacks and other road trip supplies. Glancing at my watch, I see that we had been on the road for nearly 7 hours!

“Beats me.” He shrugged, leaning against the van, also letting out a yawn. “We’re going to find a place, for the night. Probably not in this rinky dink town, but maybe a few exits down, from here.”

“Cool. I could go for snuggling up, in a comfortable bed, right about now!” I tried to stretch out the kink, in my neck, as he set the pump back. We began walking toward the building and were only halfway there, when I tripped over a hole that I didn’t see, and bumped into AJ. Give me a break…it was dark out!

“Watch it, BayBay!” He laughed, giving me a shove. Needless to say, I shoved him right back! Grabbing me, by the waist, he initiated a wresting match. We were wrestling for a good five minutes, before the unthinkable happened.

“You let that poor boy go, you big brute!” We were both caught, of guard, by the little old lady rushing towards us. Her voice cracked, as she screamed. AJ still had a hold, of my waist, as we looked at her, with confusion. “Let him go, I say!” She looked like a frail woman, with snow white hair, and a cane helping her to walk. Extending her other arm, behind her, she brought it back around, to hit AJ with her purse! “You hoodlum! You ought to be ashamed of yourself…attacking an innocent child!” The woman kept swinging, hitting AJ repeatedly, on the arms and head. Neither one, of us, knew what to do, to make her stop.

“OW! Stop!” AJ pleaded, holding his hands up, trying to shield himself from the attack. The woman wobbled, unsteadily, as she picked up her cane and poked at him, still swinging her purse. I held up my hands, too, trying to get between them. It just wasn’t working out well.

“You people make me sick!” I saw her purse hit AJ, in the eye. He doubled over, clutching his hand, over it. “How dare you lay a hand, on that poor boy?”

“He wasn’t doing anything wrong, ma’am!” I tried stepping between them, again. “Ma’am…please…he’s not…” I grabbed AJ’s arm and we started to walk away, but the woman hobbled after us. AJ’s eye was swelling quickly, making it hard for him to see.

“Listen to Baylee!” AJ pleaded, receiving another blow, over the head. He bent back over, with one hand over his eye and the other gripping his head, as he stopped walking. “He’s my NEPHEW!”

“What the hell is going on?” Nick walked out, of the gas station, and rushed toward us. Geez! It took long enough! “Is there something wrong here?”

“YES!” The old woman shouted, hitting AJ on the arm. “This hoodlum was attacking that poor boy!”

“Ma’am…” Kevin stepped up, resting a gentle hand on the woman’s shoulder. You’d figure this would be a nice gesture that would help to calm the woman. Oh no! You’d be wrong, to think that!

“Get your filthy mitts off me!” She turned, now hitting Kevin, on the arm. Wasn’t this a mess! Shouldn’t we just walk away? I mean, how fast could the poor woman even walk? I was about to suggest this, when a guy around my age, came flying out of the building.

“NANA!” He ran up, grabbing the woman’s purse, from her hand. “What are you doing, Nana? I waited for you and then I come out here, to find you beating up on some…” Looking around, the guy’s jaw dropped then a smirk formed, on his face. “Oh Nana, mom and sis are gonna be maaaaad, at you!”

“But he was…” Pointing her finger at AJ, she looked at the boy, her voice cracking again.

“Nana! Enough, already.” Rolling his eyes, he turned, to face us. “I’m really sorry, Nana…well…she’s not always all there. I’m Anthony, and you’re…” He paused, looking at me. We all stood there, a few feet away, just looking at them. AJ was groaning, still holding his, now, purple eye. “You guys already have a place, to stay, for tonight? I know you aren’t from around here.”

“Actually, we haven’t found rooms yet.” Howie stepped forward, raising a brow. “Do you happen to know any nice places, close by?”

“Yeah.” Anthony chuckled, tenderly grabbing his Nana’s arm. “Actually, my mom owns a bed and breakfast, right down the street. I’m sure she’ll let out some rooms, to you, for free…seeing as, she’s a big fan of your music, Nana beat on you and my sister is all goo-goo over you.” He smiled, looking directly, at me.

A short time, later, we arrived at the bed and breakfast and were introduced to Anthony’s mom and sister, Elisa. Neither of them had the capability, to speak, at first, but soon they were very chatty. His mom appeared to be infatuated, with Nick, while his sister kept her eyes, on me. We were shown around the small place, before all sitting in the little lounge area. Nana had apologized to AJ and Kevin, for hitting them, and then left the room. When she came back, she walked up behind AJ and slapped a T-bone steak, on his eye. Mason and I tried not to laugh, at the expression on his face. Seriously…it was a priceless mixture of pain and disgust.

One, by one, we all headed for bed. The plan was to get, back, on the road as early, as possible. Knowing this group, though, that could mean noon! Even though I slept, quite a bit, in the van, I was still exhausted. Mason and I were sharing a room and he was already snoring loudly, as I dug into my backpack. Pulling out the leather book that I was so familiar with, I decided to read a little, before going to sleep, so I settled into the soft bed and flipped to the spot, where I left off.

February 27, 2005

Dear Journal –

Today was not that great, of a day. Leighanne and I got into a huge fight, this morning. I am in the guest room, right now, as she has forbidden me, from the bedroom, for tonight. Who knew something as silly, as a broken dishwasher, could escalate into something so big? I promised her, two days ago, that I would have it fixed this week. I called around, but couldn’t get someone to come look at it, until Tuesday. Obviously, she wants it fixed now, and I don’t entirely blame her. I hate doing dishes just as much, as the next guy! But what can I do? Nothing! Today is Sunday…I couldn’t get a hold of a repair guy, no matter how much I wanted to!

So one thing, lead to another and next thing I knew…I had no clue what the argument was even about, anymore! It jumped around so quickly, it could have made my head spin! There was something about her mother…then the credit card…car insurance…wanting a new house…and I don’t even know what else! We were both so upset, that nothing either of us said, made any sense. Words flew left, and right, but nothing added up.

You know…as I go back and read some of my entries, this one included, I feel like I make her out to be a horrible person. I suppose it’s a good thing that no one will ever read this! We have a pretty typical marriage…sure we fight…but who doesn’t? Overall, the good times, generally, outweigh the bad. It’s just that I have no reason to vent about the good times, I guess. Am I even making sense? I guess it really doesn’t matter if I do, or not, because, like I said, no one will ever be reading this anyways.

Well, I hope that everything will be back, to normal, in the morning. I love my wife, and I hate fighting, with her. I also hate this guest room bed! Maybe Nick will watch Baylee tomorrow, so that I can take her to a nice dinner. I’ll have to give him a call, in the morning. For now, though, I am going to crawl into this, way to firm, guest bed and try to get some sleep. Good night, journal!

-Brian T. Littrell.
Chapter Fifty-Three by alota_cookin
Boy was I wrong, when I said early would, probably, be noon! I was rudely awoken this morning, around 5:30, by Nick rolling me off the bed and onto the floor. Mason was woken the same way, and we were ordered to get our ‘lazy butts up and ready’. After dressing and grabbing our things, Mason and I headed toward the lobby area. We were greeted by Anthony’s mom, who ushered us into a small dinning room and served us a hot breakfast, before we started loading up.

Anthony gave me his e-mail address and phone number, so that we could keep in touch. I wasn’t sure that we would become friends, but hey, there’s nothing wrong with having an e-mail buddy. While I was stuffing his information into the pocket, of my backpack, his sister, who I found to be his twin, ran up and hugged me. I’m not exactly sure why she did it, but whatever…chicks are so weird!

Howie and AJ had been discussing the route, all through breakfast. Since AJ couldn’t see well, out of his eye, Howie would be taking over the driver’s seat, with AJ as the ‘co-pilot’. So that left Nick and Kevin, in the middle, while Mason and I shared the very back seat.

“I’m bored.” Mason sighed, shifting in the seat, next to me. It was, now, nearing 11, and we had just gotten, back, on the road, after our third stop. We’d probably be stopping, again, in an hour, to eat. I let out a sigh, as I realized that this little road trip was going to take forever. At least there hadn’t been any major arguing, not yet anyways.

“Entertain yourself, Mason.” Kevin turned around, obviously, hearing Mason’s complaint. I doubt that Kevin knew what result would come, from his words. Looking over, I saw Mason shrug his shoulders and slump against the window. Trust me…he wasn’t the only one that was, insanely, bored.

“Ninety-nine bottles, of beer, on the wall…” I couldn’t help, but smirk, as Mason began to sing, softly. “…ninety-nine bottles, of beer…”

“Stop.” Kevin glared, over his shoulder. Wow, that didn’t take long. I had expected Mason to, at least, get through a verse, before his dad would get annoyed.

“Oh he isn’t hurting anything, Kevin.” Nick rolled his eyes, putting down his book. I gotta hand it, to him, Nick is pretty hard to annoy. Sure, when I’m in one of my…uh…moods…it’s pretty easy to upset him, but annoying him…that’s a task. Kevin grunted, slouching, in his seat.

“…take one down, and pass it around…ninety-eight bottles, of beer, on the wall.”

“Ok…enough, now.” You could hear the annoyance, in Kevin’s voice, as he turned around, again.

“I have to say, I hate that song, too.” AJ voiced, from the front. “Nick always annoyed the shit, out of me, when we were younger, by singing that song. Unfortunately, he made it to the end, every damn time, too.” Seeing AJ lift a brow and look at Nick, I turned my eyes, to Nick, too. Sure enough, Nick had a satisfied smirk, on his lips.

“I’m with you, on that.” I grinned, putting away my player. Alright, so this was just going to make it worse, but I couldn’t help myself. “This one is so much better…” I cleared my throat, and began to sing. “John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt…his name is my name too!”

“Whenever we go out…” Mason and Nick piped up, together. I could see AJ pursing his lips, trying not to laugh, as he looked at Kevin’s face.

“…all the people shout ‘There goes John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt’…” Nick, Mason, and I, were now singing together. What I wasn’t expecting was for AJ to go in, on the…

“LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!” The four, of us, tilted our heads, back, and screamed. We tried to control our laughter, as our voices lowered, to a whisper, “John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt…his name is my name tooooooooo! Whenever we go out…”

“Enough!” Kevin’s voice boomed, filling the entire van. Unfortunately, for him, it went ignored.

“…all the people shout ‘There goes John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt’…” We were now bobbing our heads back, and forth, as we sang.

“STOP IT!!” He was getting angrier, by the moment, but as long as Nick and AJ were singing, I wasn’t about to stop, either.

“LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!” The whole point, of the song, was to see how loud, you could scream that part. Now, if you ask me, we were doing pretty darn well, at it, too!

“Shut…UP!” This time, his hands flew in the air. The van went silent, for a moment, but only a moment.

“Okay…fine. Look. We’ll cut you a deal…” Nick shifted, so he was facing Kevin. His face was straight, and serious. “I’ll pick one song. If you just deal, with it, once the song ends, we’ll stop singing. Just…one…song.”

“Damnit…fine! Just get it over with!” Kevin crossed his arms, and huffed. That was when Nick got the grin, on his face. AJ must have seen it, because he let out a loud groan.

“I think you just sealed a deal, with the devil, Kevin.” AJ looked back, raising a brow.

“It’s only one damn song.” Kevin looked, directly, at Nick. I think he was trying to emphasize that only one song would be permitted. Mason and I looked, at each other, as Nick nodded his agreement.

“This one might be a little before your time, boys, but it’s easy and you’ll catch on fast.”

“This can’t be good.” Howie finally spoke up, shaking his head. He, and AJ, must have known what was about to happen. Nick cleared his throat and I leaned forward, interested in the events, about to take place.

“Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis…” Nick grinned wickedly before breaking out into full song. “..the song that never ends!”

“FUCK!” Kevin screamed.

“Told you so!” AJ shook his head. I looked, at him, with confusion. A song that never ends? That was pretty good. I’m not, at all, surprised, coming from Nick.

“Yes, it goes on, and on, my friend…” Snapping his fingers, and bobbing his head, Nick continued on, with his song. Obviously, Nick hadn’t made this up, because Howie and AJ joined in.

“Some people…started singing it, not knowing what it was…and they’ll continue singing it forever, just because…”

“NO! Damnit, not again!” When I saw Kevin slap his forehead, I knew that a similar experience had happened, in the past. This comes as no surprise, either!

“This is the song that never ends…yes it goes on, and on, my friend…” Okay, now, I see how this is repeating. It’s a continuous loop, and that’s why it never ends. How cleaver is that? Who comes up with this stuff? Well…whoever it was…I commend them! I will have to burn this song, to memory, for use, at a later date! I wonder how long it would take me, to drive Morgan crazy, with this song?

“I’m warning you!” Kevin had on his toughest, meanest, look. Somehow, the others didn’t seem to be phased, this time. Maybe it was because…statistically, Kevin was out numbered. If push came to shove, Kevin would lose, by a landslide. Not to mention, we were in a van…how much damage could he, possibly, do, in such a confined area?

“Some people started singing it…” I felt confident, enough, to join in, now. Mason was, still, sitting there, with a bewildered look. Poor kid was, probably, afraid, of his father’s head exploding. Crap…and I’m sitting right behind him!

“I said shut UP!” Kevin’s voice couldn’t get any louder, as his rage became obvious. We really were pushing our limits, with this one. To think that Nick, was the one who, started the song!

“…not knowing what it was…”

“DAMNIT!”

“…and they’ll continue singing it forever, just because…”

“I…SAID…ENOUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!” That did it. The van went dead silent, as we all looked around, at each other.

“You are such a kill joy!” Nick huffed, crossing his arms. At this, very, moment, he reminded me of a child. His bottom lip was stuck out, in a pout, and his brows were furrowed. He looked like his dad just took away his favorite toy.

“Aren’t you a little old, for this shit, Nickolas?” Kevin’s scowl deepened…which I didn’t, even, think was possible. How could one man, be so serious? Everyone needs to cut loose, sometimes…right? Here, I thought that party helped, to loosen him up…boy, was I off!

“Chill out, Kevin.” AJ came to Nick’s defense, turning to face us. “We were just having a little bit, of fun. The whole trip doesn’t have to be silent, you know.” Shaking his head, he rolled his eyes, at Kevin. It was obvious, that Kevin did not appreciate the gesture, because he, immediately, had a finger pointed, at AJ’s face.

“You keep your nose out, of it, Alexander James!”

“You know what…you’re a fucking dick.”

“Let’s not start.” Howie’s voice was, surprisingly, calm, as he tried to intervene. Leave it, to Howie, to be the voice, of reason. “This isn’t exactly the time, or place, for you two, to have at it.”

“He’s the one who started it!” AJ turned, to Howie, with his eyebrows furrowed. “You know…now that I think about it, he always starts it.” Crossing his arms, he huffed, leaning back.

“You have some real nerve, Alexander! How dare you speak, to me, like that?!?” Kevin’s voice roared. Mason, and I, slouched, in our seats, pretending not to exist.

“Funny, ‘cuz, I thought I was talking to HOWIE…not you! What is your issue, anyways?” Tilting his head, AJ was actually keeping an even tone, to his voice. “Not everyone likes to spend every, waking, moment, in utter silence and boredom!”

“I asked you, all, to stop. Common courtesy says that when someone asks you to stop…you STOP!” Kevin’s voice was still, much, louder than AJ’s, and it was dripping with irritation. Who knew that some simple singing, would cause such a problem?

“Do you hear yourself?” Furrowing his brows, Nick weaseled, back, into the conversation. “I mean…honestly…you’re throwing a temper tantrum because we were singing goofy songs. How old are you? To think, that you complain about me acting childish!” That sounded like a valid point, to me! Somehow, I didn’t figure Kevin would think so.

“Ok…let’s not bicker.” Howie’s attempt, to intervene, proved pointless. I could, practically, see steam rolling out, of Kevin’s ears. Glancing, at Mason, I sighed. This really was going to be a long trip. The passing scenery, suddenly, seemed so interesting. I could hear their voices continue, to bicker, as I just stared out, the window. Have you ever felt like you just wanted to disappear?

“Shit.” I mumbled, just wishing I could melt, into the seat. Evidently, my mumble wasn’t so quiet, because Kevin’s booming voice, immediately, penetrated my thoughts.

“Nice, Nickolas! I see how well your parenting skills are working! Did you just hear that? HUH? Did you?!? Baylee should have never been entrusted, into your care! Now, my own son has been exposed to your sorry excuse, for guardianship!” This has got to be as bad as divorce. I feel like I am the cause of every fight…how fair is that? It seems like they use me, to attack each other. Heck…I’m not sure if that even makes sense. Maybe, I should look into counseling, for myself! I should call Morgan…she’s good at that whole psychology thing.

“Wow…a little harsh, there, Mr. Druggie?” AJ jumped, to Nick’s defense, again, before Nick got the chance, to reply. I could see the hurt, on Nick’s face and I felt bad, for him…heck, I could relate, on that level, too. Why does Kevin attack him, all the time, like that?

“Oh look who’s talking! You’re a crack head and an alcoholic!” Okay…the blows were hitting lower, and lower. The whole thing was getting out of hand, and it seemed like they were, just, doing whatever they could, to hurt each other. The conversation didn’t even seem to have a direction, or purpose…but, I guess, fights never really do have a purpose.

“Excuse me? I’m recovered and I’m sober, thankyouverymuch! Not that we can say the same, for you!”

“He’s been sober, for years, and you know that Kevin.” Nick’s voice was, surprisingly, low, as he was, now, coming to AJ’s defense.

“That’s it…this is ridiculous!” Howie grumbled, as I felt the van swerve, sharply. My hands, quickly, went to brace myself, as the van flew down the ramp, into a rest stop. Howie slammed on the brakes, causing us, all, to jerk forward. “Everybody over the age of 15…get out!”

“What the…” AJ started to object, but was cut off, by a stern look, from Howie. Slamming the driver’s door, Howie motioned for the rest, to join him, a few feet away from the van. Mason, and I, moved up and sat on the floor, of the van, letting our feet stretch outside. We sat there, observing the scene, as Howie spoke up, again.

“Get it out, of your system, because we aren’t going anywhere, until you’re done bickering!” Turning, on his heel, Howie stormed toward the van. His eyes were narrowed, and he looked just as mad, as the others.

“You aren’t going to help us, here, D?” Whipping around, Howie came face, to face, with Nick. Right now, I could be at home, with my friends and enjoying my break, but NO…instead, I am here, watching a real life soap opera. You know…I hate soaps…aren’t they mainly for chicks? I continued to sit on the floor, of the van, my shoulder leaning against the sliding door, with my heels resting on the pavement. Leaning my head, against the door, too, as I watched the drama, continue to unfold.

“No, Nick…I’m not! I am so sick of being the ‘peacemaker’! All these years…I have spent trying to keep the peace, in this group, and let me tell you, it has gotten really old! I think it is way past time, for you, all, to work shit out…on your own…without me, to coach you. Good luck.” My eyes followed him, as he got back into the van. He flipped open his cell and tuned out the surroundings.

“This is going to take a while.” Mason huffed, crossing his arms, too. He was right, of course. There was no end, in sight, to this argument. They never seemed to gain any ground, when they fought. It wasn’t like they were resolving anything.

“We might as well get comfortable, Mase. If we aren’t leaving, until they stop bickering…we’ll spend our whole Spring Break, in this stupid rest stop parking lot.” I groaned, at the thought. Who, the heck, wants to be at a rest stop any longer than it takes, to pee? Not me! These places are creepy. Do you have any idea the messed up things that happen, at these places? My shoulders shuddered, just thinking, about it.

“This sucks. I’m hungry, too.” Moaning, he rubbed his stomach. I looked up at the threesome that was, now, not only bickering, but randomly shoving, too. It was mostly Kevin shoving Nick…but then AJ shoved Kevin, telling him not to shove Nick. Rolling my eyes, I pulled some granola bars that Morgan sent, from my bag.

“Here, Mason, this should hold us over, for a little while. I really don’t think lunch is in our, near, future.” We both ripped open the small packages, and settled in, for a long wait.
Chapter Fifty-Four by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Sorry, it's a short one.
“The trip went great! It started out bumpy, but everyone worked out their issues, before we even made it, to Kentucky. Uncle Kev blew up, and ended up in a shoving match with AJ and Nick, but then everyone started talking. Everything got worked out and, now, we are all back to normal. By the time that we got to Kentucky, we were all having a great time!” I smiled widely, resting my elbows, on my knees.

“Hey, you forgot about the part, where we stepped in, and told them to stop fighting. If we wouldn’t have done that, they would have kept shoving each other.” Mason turned, to look at me. He had a goofy grin, on his face, as he rested his hands, in his lap.

“Oh right! Yeah! They were just shoving and screaming, but we butted in and told them to act like adults. I guess watching all those therapy type shows, with Morgan, really has paid off. I knew just what to do!” I nodded, with a satisfied grin. Just thinking about the scenario, made me smile, despite the bright sun, that had given me a headache.

“For sure! We really did save the day. After we told them to work it out, they listened to us, for once. Who knew?” Shrugging his shoulders, he looked toward the guys, we were referring to.

“Thank goodness all that drama is over!” I let out a sigh, tilting my head. Repositioning myself, I looked at my little cousin, whose face reflected disappointment.

“Too bad that’s only in our dreams.” His lips formed, into a frown, glancing over at the trio. In reality, we were still sitting on the van floor, our legs hanging out and feet resting on the parking lot’s pavement. Our granola bars were over an hour gone, and the adult’s conflict raged on. The shoving came, and went, but the fighting was ever present.

“Maybe we should say something. We’ll be here until nightfall, if something doesn’t happen…and happen soon. Besides, I’m hungry again, and vending machines won’t take my credit card.” I picked up a little pebble, and threw it, with all my strength. I watched it fly, and miss Kevin’s head, by only an inch. I found myself wishing that it would have made contact…maybe it would have knocked some sense into him. Sure it was a long shot, but it was worth another try.

“What are you doing?!? That’s gonna make it worse!” Mason’s eyes widened, as I picked up another small pebble. Okay, so he was right. Anyone would know that this little pebble wouldn’t do anything, but make him mad. Oh well. I tossed the pebble a few feet away, just as Howie’s voice caught me ear.

“It’s too damn bad that those fools can’t see how they’re affecting the kids.” He let out a sigh, still holding the cell, close, to his ear. “It’s amazing how well these boys turned out, being exposed to all this.”

“Holy…I got an idea!” The little light bulb, in my head, suddenly lit up, with a killer idea. “Hey, Mason…you still got them little candies that you bought the last time we stopped?” I tilted my head, with a wide smirk. I guess my dad’s prankster mind was passed, to me, through genetics, or something, because I could come up with some pretty crazy ideas.

“Yeah. I only ate a few, of them. Why?” Lifting a brow, he turned, grabbing his bag. It only took a moment, for him to pull out the plastic bag, of candy.

“You’re a fucking lousy excuse, for a guardian, and I am sick of your shit!” Kevin roared, his face extremely close, to Nick’s, as I snatched the candy, from Mason. This was getting out, of hand, and I was so sick of hearing it! Who wants to hear non-stop fighting, all the time?

“ME?!? What about you? Huh? You got your kid taken away, because of your crack addiction, DUDE!” Nick wasted no time, fighting back. The two were only inches away, from each other, screaming at the top of their voices. The verbal lashings only got worse, with every passing moment. Shaking my head, I turned back to Mason, still formulating my plan, in my brain.

“Didn’t you have a sandwich baggie, from the snack that you brought?” I was fitting the pieces, of my plan, together, in my head, like a puzzle. This might not be the brightest idea, but I held high hopes that it would work. It’s not like I could make things any worse than they already were.

“Uh huh. Right here.” He nodded, handing me the wadded bag. Flipping it inside out, I shook out the crumbs. “What are you doing, Baylee?”

“Just chill, watch, and hope this works.” I got into the van, and pulled out a book. Sitting in the back, I started crushing the little white candies, into a fine powder. After making sure there were no large pieces left, I slid the powder into the little sandwich bag. Well…here goes nothing. “Stay out of it, Mason, let me handle this.”

“Why? What are you doing?” He slid, out of the van, right after me. Turning, to face him, I met his gaze. There was no need, for him, to risk getting in trouble. I knew that I was facing a serious grounding, if this didn’t work, like I was planning.

“Just…don’t help, okay? Trust me, this is a risky plan and I am liable to get in major trouble, for it. So, stay back and don’t help.” Without another word, I took long strides, toward the three arguing men. I drew in a deep breath, as I approached them. Biting my bottom lip, I tossed the bag on the pavement. “Why don’t you all take a couple hits, and calm, the fuck, down? We’re sick of hearing the shit!”

“What, the hell, is this, Baylee?” AJ snatched the bag, looking at me, with furrowed brows. “And watch your language!”

“Where’d you get that?!?” Nick stepped toward me, concern etched, on his face. So far, they were buying into it, but I knew it wouldn’t last long.

“It’s some new shit. All us kids are doing it, maybe you oughta give it a try.” Pursing my lips, I scrunched my eyebrows. It was taking everything, in me, to hold my ground. My hands were shaking, a little, so I stuffed them in my pockets. Maybe I shouldn’t have done this.

“Where…did…you…get…this?” Kevin’s stern voice was, right, in my face, and I could feel his breath, on my cheek. I knew this was about to get ugly, but was still hoping that the end result would be good.

“You, of all people, should know that you don’t reveal your supplier…to anyone. If you want some more, just ask me and I’ll get it for you.” Taking my hands, out of my pockets, I crossed my arms and shifted all my weight, to one leg. His glare penetrated me, but I clenched my jaw, and didn’t budge.

“Kevin, back off.” Nick stepped up, grabbing my arm, and pulling me aside. I glanced at AJ, who was further examining the substance. It would only be a few moments, before he figured out that it was, just, crushed candy, and my cover would be blown.

“Nick…it’s just candy.” Okay…so it wasn’t even a few moments. Well that sucks! I didn’t even have time, to put my plan into, full, effect! Uncrossing my arms, I stuck my hands, back, into my pockets.

“Candy?” Nick walks over, to AJ, and takes the bag. Taking a taste of the powder, he turns, to look at me. I knew he was expecting an explanation, for this. I just wasn’t sure how I would explain it. Oh yeah, Nick, I was just trying to fake you guys out, so you might understand that Mason and I might become druggies, because you all set those kind, of examples, for us. Mhm. Yeah. That oughta go over real well.

“Care to clue us in, as to what’s going on, Baylee?” AJ tilts his head, waiting for my response. Ok, Baylee, make it good. Here’s my chance to try, getting my point across. I can’t blow this. Be cool.

“It’s simple, really.” I shrugged my shoulders, grabbing the bag, from AJ’s hand. “Don’t you see what you guys are doing? Look around you…this is our family! Yet, you guys are tearing it, to shreds, and setting horrible examples, for us.”

“How dare you, speak to us, like that! We are the adults, here!” Kevin’s voice was harsh, as it interrupted me. I swallowed hard, and knew this was going to be even harder than I, originally, thought. A time machine would be useful, right about, now. Then again, if I had one, I could just go back, in time, to stop this all from starting, in the first place.

“Shut up Kevin! Let him talk!” Nick furrowed his brows, raising a hand, in Kevin’s face. “Go ahead Baylee. Say what you have, to say.”

“Kevin…you’re teaching us that this...” I held the baggie up, and they all looked at it, then back, at me. “…is okay…and that it’s alright for us to be mean, to others, just because they don’t see things our way. My dad read the Bible, to me, faithfully and I remember it saying, ‘Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.’. Can’t you see what you are doing, to Mason?” My nerves were shot, as I just hoped that this would backfire, on me.

“He’s got a point…takes after his dad.” AJ smirked, but it wouldn’t last long, as I turned my attention, to him. I had to be fair. Kevin wasn’t the only one, at fault, here. My voice softened, as I met his gaze.

“AJ…you’re teaching us that it’s fine, to stay bitter and refuse to forgive other people, for their mistakes. ‘Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those, who trespass, against us.’ ‘Forgive one another, even as Christ hath forgiven you.’.” Is it just me, or am I brilliant for letting the Bible do half my work?

“And me?” Nick looked, at me, knowing that he was next, in line. I guess, it was pretty obvious, what I was trying, to do.

“Nick,” I sighed. “You’re showing us that it’s okay to be someone that you’re not, just to please other people. That we can hide our emotions and let people walk, all, over us. I don’t have a Bible verse, for that one.” I offered a half smile, shrugging my shoulders. As I continued, though, my voice cracked and I had to start fighting back tears. “Stop, for a minute, please. Just stop fighting. You guys are hurting us. Whether you mean to, or not, you are. So, please, just…stop arguing, okay…stop pointing fingers and calling names…stop tearing each other down. We need you, to be there for us…all of you…we need our family. Please?”

“He’s right.” Howie’s voice startled me, and I turned to see him, standing behind me. “We should all be ashamed, of ourselves, and the way we’ve been acting. These fights haven’t even gotten us anywhere. Let’s just get, back, on the road, and when we get to the farm…we need to sit and talk, like adults. We owe that, to the boys.”

“Nothing like getting set straight, by a teenager.” AJ smirked, coming over, and giving me a hug. I let out a deep breath. It didn’t look like I was going to get grounded, for the rest of my life, after all.

“We better get us, all, something, to eat, too. Can we all agree, to end the fighting?” Nick let out a deep breath, as all eyes floated from one, to another. Everyone nodded, and slowly headed, back, to the van. I ran my fingers, through my curls, as everyone started to pile, into the van. My plan actually seemed, to have worked…at least, for now.

“Hey, BayBay?” AJ slipped an arm, over my shoulder, as we waited, to load up. “You’re dad would be so proud, of you. You’re a good boy.” Biting my lip, I thought about my dad. Would he really be proud, of me? I sure hoped so.

“You know…” Nick spoke up, as I climbed in. “…I might have to start restricting the amount of time that you spend, with Morgan. She’s rubbing off, on you.” A light chuckle escaped him, as he grinned, at me. I knew that he was referring to how I handled myself, when talking to them. He was right, though. I’ve learned a lot, from my best friend…including how to act, and what to say, when you want to be taken seriously. Next time I talk to her, I’ll have to remember to thank her.
End Notes:
Thanks, as always, for reading and for all of the feedback! It's much appreciated! ;-)
Chapter Fifty-Five by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
I know...I know...it's about time. LOL. Be prepared, though...we're starting to see a real person, coming out of Kevin! *gasp*
The rest, of the road trip, was long, but fairly peaceful. It was obvious, that everyone was doing their best, to be civil, and not fight. Mason, and I, did our part, too, by behaving ourselves, and not annoying the adults. I spent, most of, the time listening, to music, and reading, while Mason played his handheld games.

By the time we arrived, we were, all, exhausted. I was surprised that there was no family, to greet us, when we got here. I had expected a family reunion, of sorts, but the place was deserted. The only things there, to welcome us, clucked, oinked, or neighed. Yeah…you got it…our welcoming committee consisted of farm animals. Now, that I should have expected! Oh…did I mention the corn fields? The fields that seemed to go on, for miles? It was insane!

We were quick, to unpack the van, and relax. Everyone was stretched out, in the living room, with everything so quiet that we could hear the trees rustling, in the breeze. I looked around the room, seeing everyone sprawled out, with their eyes closed. Howie and Nick were snoring, softly, but everyone else was quiet. I leaned my head back, on the recliner, and closed my eyes, as well. It was nice to stretch out, after that long, cramped, ride. I shifted my body, in the recliner, letting out a soft sigh.

“We should do something.” A soft whisper snapped me, from my thoughts. Opening my eyes, I saw Kevin staring at me. “You know…maybe we should hike down to the swimming hole. We used to spend hours, down there…most of the day, sometimes, when we were kids. I bet you and Mason would enjoy the swing rope…it’s been there for generations.” Swing rope? Generations? Was he serious? What, exactly, is a swimming hole, anyways?

“Swimming hole?” I sat up, raising a brow. I don’t remember my dad mentioning a swimming hole, in the journal. Kevin makes it sound like it used to be a pretty big deal…I wonder why my dad never wrote about it. Then again, he didn’t write, in it, all the time…the dates are pretty spaced out, so I guess he couldn’t, possibly, write down everything.

“Come on, let’s go down there. Anyone else going?” He stood up, looking around, at the other relaxing bodies. Only one sat up. I guess Mason was the only, other, one that was awake.

“Sounds like it could be fun.” Mason got up, stretching his arms, over his head. Letting out a long moan, his arms dropped and he walked over, to his dad. Kevin headed to the door, and Mason was right behind him.

“Sure. Why not?” I shrugged, standing up and looking around, at everyone else, before following Kevin, and Mason. Before I knew it, we were walking, to one of the large barns. I couldn’t believe the amount, of land that the family owned, as Kevin pointed out the distant property lines. Seeing as the corn, in the fields, was, only, slightly popping out, of the ground, it was fairly easy, to see the property lines. The scenery was actually, really, awesome.

“Back there is where we’ll find the path. The swimming hole is out, past the back forty.” Kevin’s smile was sincere, as he looked like he was remembering the days, of his childhood. It made me start wondering what it would have been like, to see them all together and happy.

“Did you spend a lot of time here, dad?” Mason looked up, curiosity, in his eyes. Kevin swung open the large barn doors, and my eyes lit up. Right there, in the middle of the barn, were several ATVs. Walking up, to them, I spotted a bright blue one that had dark blue streaks, down the sides. Swinging my leg over, I sat on it, looking it over.

“That one was your dad’s.” Kevin came up, beside me, setting a hand on my shoulder. These things didn’t look old enough, for one to have been my dad’s. Someone must have been keeping up with them, really well. “We actually got these the summer before…you know. He wanted to buy one, for you, too, but your mom thought you were still too young. So…I guess…this one is yours, now.” He gave me a half smile and proceeded to tell me about its proper operation.

“Do I get, to drive one, too, dad?” Mason interrupted, from his spot on a similar green ATV. “These are so cool!”

“For now, I’d feel more comfortable, if you ride with me or Baylee…just because neither, of you, has driven one, before. I promise you’ll be able to drive one, while we’re here, though.” I watched, as Kevin’s eyes met his son’s. I know what would happen, if Nick had told me that…it would have led to a huge fight. Now, Nick and I haven’t been fighting much, lately, but we tend to go through stages. We’ve been in one of our good stages, and I’ve been making an effort, to keep it that way.

“Can I ride, with Baylee, then?” Just as I thought…Mason wasn’t the type, to object or argue. He had his moments, where he would stand up and voice himself, but not unless it was for a very good reason, or he was really upset. He was, usually, much quieter than me, and hated causing fights. When Kevin nodded, his agreement, Mason hopped on, behind me.

“Alright…take it slow, until you get the feel of it, Baylee. Don’t try any tricks, alright? Just follow me, and be careful.” Okay, so he had a valid request, but I still couldn’t help, but roll my eyes. What did he think I was going to do…try and pop a wheelie?

“We’ll be careful.” I forced a smile, but it probably looked sarcastic. Either he didn’t see it, or he ignored it, though, because he turned and mounted an all black ATV. We started the engines and Kevin led us out, of the barn. It took some getting used to, but I quickly got the hang, of driving it, and we were following the outside edge, of the corn field.

I guess Kevin knew that I was okay, with driving, because he sped up, after a few minutes. The wind blew through my curls, as we rounded the edge, of the next field. Mason’s arms were secure, around my waist, and we were nearing the edge, of the woods. As soon as we got to the trees, Kevin came to a stop, and we all dismounted the ATVs.

“Here’s the trail. It’s not too far, of a hike.” He waved us along, and we started into the woods. Alright…I’m a city boy…I am definitely not used to all this nature stuff. My hand flew, to my nose, after a branch flew back and hit me, in the face. This was so not my idea, of fun. All I wanted was to head back, to the ATV’s, and have some fun, on those.

I couldn’t stop my groaning, as the leg, of my 150 dollar jeans, tore on the branch, of a fallen log. These were my favorite jeans! If I had known that we were going to be out in this stuff, I would have changed my clothes. Nick better not put up a fuss, about my clothes being ruined. Ducking under another branch, I tried to push thorn bushes out, of my way. We’re talking some serious woodsy type crap, here, people…this was ridiculous!

“Dad? Are we almost there? This sucks!” Mason’s whine matched the one that was going on, in my head. I’m older, though, and I couldn’t whine out loud. I mean, I’m fifteen…teenage guys don’t whine!

“Another ten minutes, or so, boys…it’s not too far. Come on, keep up.” Ten min…not too…was he serious? Heck…ten seconds out here was too long and too far! We’ve already been in here for a good five minutes. I rolled my eyes, climbing over a dead tree, trying to keep up. Kevin was obviously experienced, at this. He was hopping over logs and weaving around bushes, like it was a well thought out maze…nothing seemed to slow him down.

“Okay…this seriously sucks.” I grunted, after face planting, in the dirt. Turning over, I looked at my feet…I just tripped over a root…A ROOT! How…in the heezy…does someone trip…over a…ROOT?!? Letting my head fall, back, I looked up, at the sky. It was an interesting view, looking up through the leaves, only seeing patches of blue and white. Slowly sitting up, I looked over my shoulder, seeing that Kevin and Mason had not even bothered, to stop. Go figure. Before getting to my feet, I let out a long sigh, wondering what the heck I was doing here, on the ground, in the middle of the woods. Yeah…this trip was turning out to be just a peachy idea!

“Are you okay, back there, Bay?” Mason paused, looking back, at me. Chuckling, sarcastically, I got to my feet. I could not believe my luck, as I started towards them and was stopped, because my hair was all tangled up, in some kind of, tall, weird looking plant…bush thing.

“I think…I need to be…cut…loose!” I started cracking up…yes, I finally lost my mind. My fingers were trying to free my hair, but I was laughing, so hard that it was making the task difficult. One hand went to my stomach, as I halfway doubled over. “I’m like…a…a…trapped…ani…mal!”

“Baylee?” Kevin whips around, catching sight, of me. He rushes over and tries to help me, but I am still cracking up and he can’t get a handle, on my hair. “How…in the heck, Baylee? What did you do? It’s like wrapped around the twigs.”

“I…I don’t know…” I tried, to control my laughter, but seeing Mason fighting back his own chuckles, sent me into another wave of laughing. My eyes watered, as I tried to catch my breath. Wait until I tell Morgan and Sean, about this!

“Will you hold still?” Kevin gave me a stern look, and I stood up straight. Pursing my lips, I tried to hold in my snickers, but my shoulders still shook, slightly. A few minutes later, Kevin freed me, and we were back to walking. My eyes scanned the ground, and surroundings, as I was on red alert, for any other dangerous obstacles.

“This is it?” My eyes widened, as we came over a hill, and could see a small lake, ahead. It was completely different than what I had expected. Looking around, I slowly made my way down the side of the hill, behind Kevin and Mason. The lake was a cool light blue, with slight green tint, and there was a huge oak tree, on the bank, that had a thick rope hanging, from a massive branch. It looked like a picture, out of an outdoorsy type magazine, or something. The sun was reflecting, off the water, and the breeze made small ripples across the top.

“This is it.” Kevin grinned, widely. To my utter shocking surprise, he ran towards the rope, grabbing it and then flinging himself, into the water. No way! That’s what he was talking about, when he mentioned a swing rope. All this time, I thought they only did that stuff in old movies!

“COOL!” Mason’s eye lit up, as he walked over to the rope. Grabbing it, with both hands, he wrapped his legs around it and climbed up, halfway. “Watch me!” He started swinging back, and forth, before jumping off, into the water.

“Oh man…I haven’t done that in years!” Running his fingers, through his hair, Kevin made his way out, of the water. “Go on, Baylee. This is the whole reason I brought you boys, down here.” I watched him plop, down, onto the ground, leaning his back against a red maple tree. I had to admit…this looked like loads, of fun!

“What is it that Nick always says?” I tilted my head, tapping a finger, against my chin. Pretending to think, I watched Mason trudge out of the lake. “Oh yeah…..AAAAH AAH AAAAAH AH AH AAH AAAAAAAAH!!!” I screamed, barreling full force, toward the rope. As I reached the thickly braided rope, my hands wrapped around it and my feet lifted off the ground. I flew through the air, and it felt like nothing I have ever experienced. As the rope swung out, my hands loosened, sending my soaring through the air. I kicked my legs and held my arms above my head, as I came crashing down, into the cool water.

“Awesome!” Mason shouted, clapping his hands, as I came to the surface. I coughed a little bit, as I swam to the lake’s shore. “My turn!” He squealed, getting a running start, toward the rope. Ok…so maybe this was TOTALLY WORTH THE SUCKY HIKE!!!!

“That was wicked cool!” My clothes clung, to me, as I walked up, beside Kevin. My smile was so big that it almost hurt my cheeks. I watched Mason make his dismount, landing in the water, on his back. Cringing, I knew that had to hurt, but decided I didn’t care enough, to stop, and started running, to take my next turn. As I flew through the air, I spun around, sending me backwards, into the lake.

An hour later, I plopped onto the bank, watching Mason. Kevin was a few feet away; he had been watching us, the whole time. He had only jumped in that one time, then just sat and watched us having fun. I glanced over, at him, noticing a troubled look, on his face. I found myself wondering what he was thinking about.

“I wonder why my dad never mentioned the swimming hole. He wrote about the farm, and talked about the hay loft, but I haven’t read anything about the swimming hole.” I tried to make general conversation, as Mason swum around, in the lake.

“You read your dad’s journal, a lot, don’t you?” He let out a sigh, like the thought bothered him. Why would he care, if I read it all the time, or not? Shifting his weight, he leaned his elbows forward, on his knees.

“Yeah. I like reading it because it helps me feel close, to him. It’s nice to read how he felt about things, and stuff.” I shrugged my shoulders, not sure if that made sense, but it was true…reading it really did make me feel close, to my dad. Sometimes, I wish my mom had kept one, too.

“How he felt, huh? I bet he had a few choice words, about me.” Kevin licked his lips, looking over at me. Oh great, what was I supposed to say, to that? Talk about putting me in an awkward position! “I wasn’t very nice, to your father, those last few years. That’s one of my biggest regrets because I never meant for it to be like that.” I couldn’t think of anything, to say, so I just sat there, listening as he talked. It sounded like he had wanted to talk, to me, about this, for a while. His voice had an odd tremble, to it. I just nodded my head, as he continued.

“I don’t, even, know where, or how, it all started and by the time I realized what I had done…it…it was too late.” Letting out a heavy sigh, he ran his fingers through his hair, tugging at it. I could, actually, hear the regret, in his voice. I was beginning to wonder if there was more, to this story, than what I knew. “I’d hate to know, what your father thought of me.”

“He didn’t, really, think badly, of you. He just…he didn’t understand what he had done wrong.” I turned my eyes, to the water, where Mason was swimming toward the shore. Never had I expected, to get into this conversation and, honestly, I found it slightly intimidating.

“It wasn’t his fault…it was mine. After all the years, of being the group’s leader, I just felt like…” Pausing, he took in a deep breath. Mason walked up, to us, and sat down on the other side, of his dad. “I felt like I still needed to be in control…I thought I knew what was best. All I wanted to do was help, but instead of helping, I just turned into an ass. Then, when your father…after the…I, just, lost it.” Pursing his lips, he hung his head, closing his eyes.

“It’s okay, dad. We, all, still love you.” Mason rested a hand, on Kevin’s shoulder. “I mean…we all make bad choices right?” I watched Kevin wrap an arm, around his son, pulling him into a hug. Kevin’s hand brushed over Mason’s hair, as he held him.

“I’m so sorry…I never thought it would get this bad. I didn’t want anyone to get hurt.” Kevin’s eyes were slightly watering, as he turned to me. “Just remember that…none of this…none of the fights, none of the problems, none of it is your fault, boys…not even slightly. Okay? I don’t want either of you boys, to think you caused any of this.”

“Hey, you’re trying to change, and that’s what matters the most, now, Uncle Kev.” I gave him a half smile. That was the first time, in a long time, that I had referred to him, as my uncle. I tried to set aside any bad feelings, and thoughts, so I could offer some kind, of comfort. You can’t expect someone, to change, unless you’re willing to support them…at least, that’s what the counselor said, on some show I watched, with Morgan, a while back.

“Right…well…it’s getting late. We should head back, before everyone starts to worry.” Kevin stood up, changing the subject, and holding his hands out, for us. Mason took his left hand, as I took his right, and he helped pull us up. “We’ll find something, to eat, when we get back, too.”

“This was a really cool place, dad. I had fuuuuu…” Mason trailed off, as his feet slipped out, from under him. His feet flew forward and he landed on his butt, in the middle, of a huge mud puddle. The mud splashed up, over me and Kevin. We, all, looked at each other, and burst into fits of laughter. I smirked, happy that I wasn’t the only one, with bad luck today. Reaching down, I went to pull him up, but he just yanked my arm, sending me face first into the mud. I rolled onto my side, looking at him laughing, next to me.

“You think that’s funny, Mason? I’ll show you funny!” I grinned, splashing mud onto his shirt. Next thing I knew, we were covered in mud, and still slinging it, at each other. We finally stopped, when we were laughing too hard, to keep throwing the mud.

“Alright boys...” Kevin rolled his eyes, but had an amused grin, on his face. Mason, and I, got to our feet and Kevin led the way, as we started our way, back to the ATVs. I had much better luck, this time, and made it out without any further disasters. Once we reached the ATVs, we got on, and headed back, to the house.

As we parked the ATVs, back, in the barn, I looked at Mason’s wet, muddy clothes. Glancing down, I cringed, at my own torn, wet, muddy clothes. I tried to run my fingers through my hair, but it was useless, because it was a muddy ratted nest. Letting Kevin, and Mason, lead the way, I dreaded Nick’s reaction, to the way I looked. I didn’t know if he would crack up, or yell at me, for destroying my clothes. My hopes were that he would fall, to the floor, pointing at me and laughing, until he had tears. I held my breath, as we walked into the house. Howie, AJ, and Nick looked up and their faces were priceless. Everything was silent for several moments.

“What…the hell…” AJ, started cracking up, unable to finish his question.

“I don’t think we, even, want to know!” Howie snickered, looking back, and forth, between us and then his snickers turned into full blown laughter. They kept laughing, as I glanced over, to Nick, who was still not showing any signs of amusement. He had one brow raised, as he looked over my torn clothing, then up to my mess, of hair.

“Kevin took you to the swimming hole?” Nick stood up, walking toward us, a stern look, on his face. He shook his head, pursing his lips. My eyes looked, to my feet, and back up, at him, as I nodded. “Mhm…I see. I’m not very happy, about this! Just look at you!” Crossing his arms, he stared at me, and then looked up at Kevin. “Damnit, I am so mad…that I missed that!” His face relaxed, as he burst into a fit, of hysterical laughter.

After kicking off our shoes, we headed up stairs. The guys were still laughing, as I went into the room. Grabbing clean clothes, I headed for the shower. I had to peel my clothes off, and I thought about, just, throwing them away, but decided to keep them. I could wear them to school, when I got back…it would make for a good story that Morgan and Sean would surely get a kick out of.

I walked, back, downstairs, looking normal again. I met up with everyone else, who immediately started snickering, again. Once Mason joined us, we all sat down, for a nice dinner that Kevin had put together. At least, everyone was in good spirits, as Mason and I gave a description of everything that happened. Dinner went smooth, as we all talked and laughed, then we headed to the living room, and relaxed. The first day, on the farm, wasn’t quite over, but I’d say it went pretty darn well!
Chapter Fifty-Six April Fool's Epilogue by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
This was a chapter written as an April Fool's Joke. You may choose to skip this chapter, as it has nothing to do with the actual story!
The painful memories, still, fill my mind, on a regular basis. Once again, my life had been flipped upside down, by, yet, another unpredictable event. Looking back, on it, I still wonder what I could have done differently…if there was something I could have done, to stop it. I suppose there wasn’t anything that anyone could have done. No one even knows, quite, how it happened…what caused it. All I know is that it devastated me…and it took me a few years, to even be able to live a normal life, again. I’m 25, now, and it’s been 10 years, but it still comes to me, like it happened yesterday.

After dinner, that night, Nick had given me permission, to spend the evening in the barn. I had my father’s journal tucked under my arm, with full intensions of reading it. A smile crept onto my lips, as I climbed up, into the hayloft. I remembered how my father wrote about his time on the farm, the things he did, and how he used to sit in this very hayloft.

I spent, almost, four hours there, that night. My time was spent reading several journal entries, remembering my parents and early childhood, reflecting back on my time with Nick. All this time, I was unaware of the horrific event that was taking place. I sat thinking over every aspect, of my life…past…present…and future. There were things that I would have liked, to change, but mostly…I was content.

Forgive me, if my emotions overtake me, but it still hurts. By the time I climbed out, of that loft, and made my way, into the house, it was too late. I looked around, confused. It was only around midnight, but the house was silent. There were no voices…no bickering…not even, the soft noises, from a television. An unsettling feeling crept into my body, as I walked further into the house.

I called out, for Nick…then AJ…then Mason…I heard nothing. Pushing down the lump, in my throat, I called out again, this time for Howie…then Kevin…then for just anyone, to answer…again, I received nothing. My mind screamed that they could be outside, or sleeping, but my gut told me otherwise. Don’t ask me how I knew…I just knew…that something wasn’t right.

Walking into the living room, my fears were temporarily put to rest. Everyone was there, and appeared to be sleeping. Howie and AJ were on the couch, Nick was on the floor, Mason and Kevin passed out in the recliners. Reaching over, I shook Mason’s arm, calling his name, in an attempt to wake him up, but I snapped my hand back, when I realized his skin was cold. Quickly moving to AJ…then to each of the other guys, tears trailed down my cheeks.

Running into the kitchen, I called the paramedics, and frantically told them about my family. As I was speaking with them, I suddenly noticed an odd, rotten egg, smell. When I told the operator about the smell, she ordered that I get outside, immediately, and wait for help, to arrive. Obviously, I did as I was instructed, but sometimes I wish I would have stayed.

Tears continuously rolled down my face, as I tried to call the rest, of my family, but I had no signal, on my phone. I had no choice, but to stand, helplessly, and wait. Pacing back, and forth, I begged God, for this to be a really bad dream. The shrill sirens, and flashing lights, proved the reality, of the second worst day, of my life.

I completely shut down, after watching them, carry out my family, one by one. I was completely zombified, from that point on…and when they questioned me, at the station, I was too much, of a wreck, to offer any help. It wasn’t long, before my grandparents showed up, to take me, with them.

I didn’t find out, until weeks later, that the nasty smell was from a gas leak…and that’s what had taken the lives, of my family. I guess the gas leak was small enough that none, of them, noticed it…that they became used to the smell, and didn’t realize that anything was wrong. The gas slowly took over them until they lost consciousness, and eventually lost their lives. If I would have stayed, in the house, I would have met the same fate, and avoided all this pain.

Needless, to say, I had to move again, and transfer schools. I should have been upset about not being able to participate, in the state championships, with my team, but I was numb to everything. I soon lost contact with Morgan, Sean, Allison, and everyone else, at school. My grades, at the new school, plummeted to failing marks, and I made no attempt, to make friends or participate in sports. I had completely given up…on everything.

The years seemed to drag, yet they flew by. Now I’m married, and have a two year old daughter. The day I found out that Jenny was pregnant; I ran out and got my will ready. I didn’t have many decisions, to make…custody would be granted to my sister-in-law, and her husband, should anything ever happen to me, and Jenny. We didn’t have much money…since I had blown most, of my money, once I turned 18. So the will was simplistic, but I still got it done.

Life deals you a hand, of cards, and you never know when you’ll get a bad one…and there isn’t a dog-on thing that you can do, about it. I’ve learned that you have to be prepared for anything…but mostly, you have to prepare yourself, for the worst. It’s all a gamble…a roll of the dice…you place your bets and you win, or you lose. In my case…I’m down more than I am up.

“Baylee?” Looking up, from my writing, I turned, to my wife. “Dinner is about ready. How is the writing coming along?” I watched her cross the bedroom floor, and take a seat, on our bed. She really was a beautiful woman…she could have anyone that she wanted. I still can’t understand why she chose to stay, with me. My emotional state has always been present, and I know I put her through a lot.

“It’s alright, I guess.” Shrugging my shoulders, I made my way, to her. I sat down, beside her, and she took a hold, of my hand.

“I’m proud, of you, sweetheart. I know this is hard, for you.” Proud of me? How could she be? Locking eyes, with her, she gave me a weak smile. She knew I doubted the things she said…that’s one of the major issues, we have. My heart doesn’t want to let her in. I try to open up…to love her unconditionally…to be the husband that I know my father was…to support her, emotionally…but my heart shuts down. I do love her…and I know that’s why I lash out, sometimes. I’m so afraid of losing her, too.

“Thanks.” I whisper, breaking our eye contact. Standing up, I offer her my hand. When she takes a hold, of it, I pull her up, and we head downstairs. Walking in, I see our table set nicely, just like every other night, and dinner already waiting.

Maybe, someday, I’ll be able to let go. Perhaps I’ll be able to move on, and live my life happily, but for now, I am still broken and torn. I miss my family…even Kevin…and I miss them, all, so badly, that my heart, continuously, aches. Sometimes I wish I would have gone, with them, just because I can’t bare the pain. I’m writing this book, hoping that letting it out, will help, and I truly hope that it does.

I don’t know who would want to read this…maybe fans of my father and the group…maybe people that can, just, relate, to my pain…I don’t know. I guess this might even help someone else cope, with their own emotional turmoil. But let me tell you this…you aren’t alone. I know the pain, and I know the loss…you aren’t alone.

This is Life According To Baylee…as told by me, Baylee Thomas Wylee Litrell.



This book is dedicated to my family, whom I hope to see again, one day…

Brian Thomas and Leighanne Reena (Wallace) Littrell

Nickolas Gene Carter

Alexander James McLean

Howard Dwaine Dorough

Kevin Scott Richardson

And Mason Richardson
The REAL Chapter Fifty-Six by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Hey guys...guess what?!?
Some, of you, already figured it out but...the last chapter was my April Fool's!!!
*snickers* I was cracking up, all day, yesterday, with your reviews!
So, now that I am done with the cruel little joke...here is the REAL chapter!
March 2, 2006

Dear Journal –

You wouldn’t believe what I saw today! I was just flipping through channels and stumbled across an old re-run, on VH1. I think it was MTV Diary, or whatever, but it showed the group, back in like ’98, or something. Man we looked young! It got me thinking about the old days.

Things were so different, back then. Nick was a lot more carefree. He was so innocently naïve about things, but it really just added to his unique charm. We used to play ball, darn near, every day, no matter where we were. The two, of us, were inseparable and we both liked it that way. Things between us have changed, so much, over the years.

AJ…well…what hasn’t changed about him? Ha Ha! I miss the old days, especially with him, because he has changed so much more than the rest, of us. What…with the alcohol and drugs…the partying…rehab… That man has had to battle many inner demons, and it has changed him a lot. Now, I’m not saying that he’s not still a good guy, because he is. I’m proud, of him, for working, so hard, at straightening his life out, but I still can’t help but miss his light hearted, goofiness that was so strong, back in the day.

Now that I think about it, maybe AJ isn’t the one that has changed the most…Kevin has changed drastically, here in the past couple years. I still haven’t figured out what’s going on, with him. Sometimes it just feels like he’s trying to keep control, of everything. It would make sense, I guess, being the oldest, in the group, he always had to play the upper hand. Nick, and I, always used to make it pretty difficult, for him to keep control.

Leighanne was talking with Kristin last week, and I guess Kevin has actually been put on anxiety medication. I’m not sure how or why this all came about, but maybe it will help. Could his attitude be stemming from stress and anxiety? Is it possible that he really just has control issues, and feels like he needs to keep being the ‘father’ of the group? Leighanne told me about the entire conversation, and according to Kristin, Kevin thinks he’s helping. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes, at that one. Helping? I mean honestly!

Anyways…back to what I was talking about, before I got on my Kevin bunny trail.

On the other end, of the spectrum…I’d say Howie has probably changed the least. He’s still just good ol’ Howie. Quiet. Down to Earth. The peacemaker. The voice of reason. Sure, some things, about him, have changed…that’s inevitable, but overall, he hasn’t changed as much as the rest, of us.

Basically, sitting, and watching that show, just made me miss the old days. Now, I wouldn’t trade my family, for anything, but it would be nice to go back, to that time, just for a while. Ok, now I’m sounding crazy. Ha Ha! I guess I’ll just take my memories, and head to bed. I’ll write more later. Hmmm…maybe I’ll find another re-run on, tomorrow! You know…Howie has all those home videos…perhaps I’ll pay him a visit. You know, it’s pretty funny to watch all his videos…there are things, on those, that you would never find, on any of the videos you can buy.

Here I am rambling again. It’s a good thing this journal has plenty of pages, in it! Ok, but seriously…I’m going to bed now! Good-night!

-Brian T. Littrell


Letting out a long sigh, I closed the journal and put it safely, in my bag. My head fell back, on the pillow, as I wondered what those old days were like. I am sure they were a far cry from the bickering that I could hear, coming from downstairs. Although I couldn’t make out the words that were being said, I knew who the voices belonged to…Kevin…and Nick. What could they, possibly, be arguing about, now? Would it ever end? A loud knock, on the door, startled me. My head quickly turned, to look at the door.

“Yeah?” I groaned, sitting up, not sure if I really wanted to know, who it was or what they wanted.

“Get up.” Nick appeared, in the doorway, as the door swung open. “We have to do…chores.” If I’m not mistaking, Nick scrunched his nose, in disgust. Interesting. Nick was always ready to bark out chores, for me, but now he’s dreading the idea of participating in chores.

“Chores?” I lifted a brow, in slight amusement.

“Yes. Chores. And not the ones that you’re thinking of. I wouldn’t wear any of your nice clothes, if I were you.” His shoulders slumped, a bit, looking defeated. What did he mean “not the ones I’m thinking of’? Chores are chores. Right?

“Ok.” I sighed, lifting myself off the bed. I watched Nick close the door, and set to getting dressed. Sifting through my clothes, I searched for anything that wasn’t considered nice. I didn’t have much luck, so I just threw on my least favorite shirt that I brought, and a pair of plain jeans. Situating a baseball cap, over my curls, I headed out the door and downstairs. Little did I know, I was, soon, in for a rude awakening.

“Everyone ready?” Kevin’s voice was dripping, with irritation, as he stood with his arms crossed.

“Let’s just get this shit done.” AJ huffed, his jaw tightened, as he rolled his eyes. I looked around, seeing that everyone was in a bad mood, except me and Mason. I was guessing that the reason was because me and Mason were the only ones who didn’t know what was going on.

“Agreed.” Nick’s eyes were narrowed, as everyone started toward the door. Once outside, Kevin led us down, to the barn. Before I knew what was going on, Nick and I were, each, handed a pail of nasty looking mushy stuff. What was I supposed to do with…

“Once you’re done slopping the pigs, shovel their pen, and then meet back here.” Kevin instructed, pointing to the smaller barn. Wait…hold on…did he say slopping pigs? I scrunched my nose, looking down at the pail. So that’s what this was supposed to…eeeeeew!

“Come on Bay, let’s get this done.” Nick groaned, heading toward the other barn. Now I understood why Nick was irritated, about the chores. This was way worse than doing dishes! I covered my nose, as we walked into the barn.

“Aw, nasty!” I lifted the top of my shirt, over my nose. The smell was enough to make anyone gag! How could people do this every day? Oh crap! Please…someone tell me that this isn’t going to be a daily thing, while we’re here.

“Just dump the slop into that troth, over there.” Nick pointed to a metal thing, in the corner, before walking to an identical one, in the opposite corner. The sloshing sound, of the slop pouring into the troth, gagged me just as bad as the smell. It didn’t help matters, that it was hot and stuffy, in the barn. “Set the pail over there, and…grab a…shovel.” His brows scrunched, his lips twisted into a look of pure disgust.

“What are we doing with the shovels?” I got the disturbing answer, when I saw Nick bend over and scoop up a pile of pig crap. Nick’s face was contorted, as he walked over, and dumped the pile into a tractor’s trailer. He had to be kidding! Baylee Littrell does not scoop poop!

“Don’t just stand there.” Nick gave me that look…that look, which tells me that if I don’t do as I’m told, I will regret it. Letting out a loud sigh, I scrunched up my nose, again, and began to shovel. This sucks!

“Whose brilliant idea, was this?” I asked, trying not to breath, very deep. How could people stand doing this, all the time? I couldn’t even imagine getting used to the smell.

“Kevin’s.” Letting out a huff, he began to shovel, with more aggression. A small smirk came over my lips; now I knew what all the bickering had been about. Kevin said we needed to do chores, and Nick was trying to get out, of it.

The next half hour dragged on, seeming to last forever. There wasn’t much said, as we continued our nasty assignment. Nick shoveled like a mad man, and I tried to keep up, with his pace. I’m sure this task could take well over an hour, but we were determined to get this done, and over with.

Dreadfully making our way, back to the group, we carried our empty pails. I was not looking forward to more chores, but something told me we weren’t done, yet. My suspicions were confirmed, when Kevin sent me, and Mason off, to check the fences.

It was news, to me, that you had to check the fences every week, to make sure they were in good shape. The fence bordered the corn fields, and was meant to detour large animals from eating the crops. Luckily, though, Kevin didn’t make us walk. He allowed us to take one of the ATVs, since it was a large area, to cover. Mason hopped on, behind me, and we set off, to make sure that none of the fence needed fixing.

Mind you, we weren’t allowed to leave, before a very long lecture. We were instructed to stay inside the fence…not to go too fast…blah blah blah. Nick, and Kevin, continued to blab on, about what we could, and could not, do. I had tuned them out after the first two points…I just kept nodding and saying “ok” or “we will”.

Mason and I headed off, taking our time, to check out the fence. We were goofing around and telling jokes, as we rode along. I was enjoying the break, from all the tension and bickering. I’m sure we could have done the parameter in an hour, but we just took our time, not wanting to go back. We just needed some time, you know? Can you blame us? All the fighting was getting on our nerves!

We were on the back forty, checking out the far side, of the fence, when I saw it. Stopping the ATV, I hopped off and climbed over the fence. Slowly, I made my way down the embankment, toward the half hidden treasure. After slight resistance, Mason followed me.

“What kind is it?”

“Mason…this…is a…” I looked over it, closely, to make sure I had it right. I hate it when I get proven wrong…it makes me look like a moron. “…if I am correct….it’s a 1956 Ford Thunderbird.” Man, was it a beauty, too…well at least it was, in my mind. I could imagine it, in its prime…polished chrome, clear windows, shiny finish, flawless leather seats…oh yeah…what a classic! I could see myself driving this baby!

I brushed my fingers over the chipped, soft lime green paint, looking over the rust that scared its exterior. The front end was badly damaged; it had obviously been in a crash. By the looks of it, the frame was, probably, bent…that must be the reason that it was, now, sitting in the woods, covered with overgrown weeds, and fallen leaves.

I couldn’t stop myself, from wondering what it would be like, to restore the car. Picturing it, in my mind, I could see myself driving it, to school; with it all spiffed back up. Oh yeah…I bet the chicks would love that!

Mason, and I, tugged on the doors, making them creak open. A smile crossed my lips, as I slipped behind the steering wheel. Running my hands over the wheel, I daydreamed, about actually driving it. Oh man, I could practically hear it purr!

“Baylee…Thomas…Wylee…Littrell!!!” Nick’s voice pierced me, and I swallowed the large lump that had settled, in my throat. This was not good…not good, at all.

“Oh uh…hey Nick!” I gave him a lopsided grin. I knew I was in big trouble, when Kevin appeared behind Nick. Ok…so we broke their rule and went outside of the fence, but it wasn’t by far. Surely, they wouldn’t be that mad, right?

“What…do you think you’re doing? You were supposed to be checking the fence, and were specifically told to stay inside the fence line!” Nick lifted a brow, staring me down, and waiting for an answer.

“Nick…look at this car! It’s sweet! I just had to come take a look…no big deal.” I shrugged my shoulders, climbing out of the car. Mason did the same, and we started up the embankment, to face our authorities.

“Rules are made for a reason, young man, and you know that I expect you, to follow them.” I was now face to face, with Nick. His brows were scrunched and it was obvious that he was not happy.

“Why are you always so uptight? If my dad were here…”

“Well he isn’t…now is he?” Kevin’s voice spoke, for the first time, since they got there, and cut me off. I stood there; jaw dropped, and mouth open.

“I can handle this, Kevin…thanks.” Nick tilted his head and looked, at Kevin, annoyance in his voice. In return, Kevin crossed his arms and stared back.

“Obviously not, Nickolas,” he mumbled. I saw Nick’s jaw tighten, and his lips purse. Everything, in me, wanted to scream ‘Everybody ruuuuuuun…shit’s gonna blooooooooow!’. I knew better than to actually say anything, so I just shoved past them and got on the ATV. I figured Mason could ride back, with one of them, since they both rode one, out to where we were.

“Baylee Littrell…don’t you dare…” The stern look, on his face, told me that he was not playing around. But guess what? I just made it worse.

“You’re not my father!” Scowling, at them, I tore off, toward the house, kicking up dirt as I went. I already knew that I had just done some serious damage, and I was liable to be grounded, for a very long time. Parking the ATV, in the barn, I stormed toward the house. I could hear Nick, and Kevin, coming, as I slammed the front door and ran upstairs.

“Baylee?” I met AJ, at the top, of the stairs. He looked, at me, with concern, in his eyes. Moving right past him, I’m sure he knew something was up. I made no hesitation, entering my room, slamming the door, and locking it. Throwing myself, on the bed, I thought over what just happened. Nick, and I, haven’t fought in a while, but this one looked like it was going to make up, for lost time.
Chapter Fifty-Seven by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Finally...the beginning of what everyone has been waiting for! *bites nails* I hope you guys like it, I'm really nervous, about this chapter!
A half hour later, I was still lying on the bed, staring at the open journal. My eyes stayed fixed, on the journal, but I wasn’t actually reading because my mind was churning, a mile a minute. I was expecting Nick or Kevin to come pounding on my door, and I was beginning to worry why it hadn’t happened, yet.

Letting out a long sigh, I sat up, tossing dad’s journal onto the pillow. My feet hit the floor and I stood up, heading to the door. I quietly flipped the lock and cracked open the door. The only thing I heard was a heated discussion, coming from downstairs. My mind screamed, to go back in the room, and take advantage of the fact that they weren’t yelling at me, like they should be. But noooooo! Curiosity got the best of me and I started making my way to the stairs. My bare feet skimmed across the carpet, as I quietly descended the stairs.

I stopped, once I reached the landing, at the bottom, of the stairs. My hand rested on the banister, as I started listening in, to the conversation. From what I could tell, all the adults were in there. Taking a deep breath, I moved a little closer, leaning my back against the wall, outside the living room’s two, sliding, wood doors.

“You’re the one that told him to check the fences!” Nick’s voice pierced the air, suddenly, making me flinch. His voice was filled with more emotion than I’ve heard, in a long time.

“It should have just been taken to the junk yard, to begin with. Baylee wouldn’t have found it, and none of this would be happening, right now, if you would have just listened to me.” Kevin scoffed, with a sarcastic chuckle. I knew that, if I could see their faces, they would portray some serious anger and frustration.

“I couldn’t do that, Kevin! The car was new…well…you know what I mean.” I would bet that Nick had his fingers, in his hair, at this point. There was something different about his voice…it wasn’t just anger or frustration, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. It was beginning to seem like they were more upset, about me finding the car, than me breaking the rules. This was something new. What the heck is so special about that old crashed car…besides that it’s totally awesome?

“We’re just lucky you got the interior done, before you ditched the project.”

“Don’t get pissy with me, Kevin. You know that I couldn’t finish it, then. I had started it, before getting custody, of Baylee. Once he moved in with me, I was too busy…besides, how was I going to sneak off and work on it?” I heard AJ and Howie groaning, as Nick and Kevin continued their battle, of words. I couldn’t understand why this was such a touchy subject.

“So we just dumped it, on the back forty?!?” Kevin’s voice rose, to a new height. I could only imagine how thick the air was, in that room. At least I was lucky enough to be standing outside of the room.

“I would like to get it back out and finish it, at some point.”

“And how do you plan to do that, Nickolas? Baylee is old enough to understand…don’t you think that would be rough, on him?” Old enough to understand what? Okay, seriously, they were getting so mad that they weren’t, even, making sense, anymore!

“Well…” AJ’s voice piped up. I couldn’t contain myself anymore, and I poked my head around the corner, looking in, through the wide crack, between the doors. Nick and Kevin were facing each other, in the middle of the room. Howie was on the couch, a painful look, on his face. AJ stood up and faced Nick and Kevin. “We could restore it and he could know that it was his parents’ car, without actually telling him it was THE car.”

“You mean have him help? Are you insane?!?” Kevin screamed. It felt like my head was spinning, as the words played over, in my mind. What did AJ mean ‘THE car’? Oh God…he didn’t mean…like…

“I…I just…” My voice was shaking, as I pushed the doors open, the rest of the way.

“Fuck.” AJ cursed, running a hand over his face. Nick took a step, toward me, pain in his eyes…that, alone, gave me my answer. I tried to force down the lump, in my throat, as my heart raced and my eyes began to water.

“I…that’s…I just sat…where…where my…” The words screamed, in my mind, but I couldn’t force them out. My mouth felt like it was filed, with cotton balls, and my hands were sweating but felt cold. “…where my dad…”

“Oh Baylee…” Nick quickly came, to me, engulfing me, into a hug. If I didn’t have my answer before, I sure as heck, had it now. I wasn’t so sure about that car, being so cool, anymore. My world seemed to crash, around me, when I realized that I had just been sitting where my dad…I couldn’t even get myself to think the word. All the pain, from years ago, flooded my body and my knees felt weak.

“He…in that car?” There was an unforgiving pain, in my head and chest, as I clung to Nick. His arms were securely around me, hugging me tight, my head against his shoulder. My fists balled up his shirt, and he was having to, practically, hold me up. It was like I was that crumpled 8 year old, all over again.

Memories began to, rapidly, flood my mind. I remembered the car, now…I remembered riding in it, on that vacation. Hot tears began to stream, down my face, as I saw the memories flash, through my mind…images of that vacation…as if I was in the backseat, again, looking up and my mom and dad, as they sat smiling, and laughing.

Nick just stood there, holding onto me, for a few moments, and then he helped over, to the couch. We sat down, his arms still around me. Tilting my head, I looked up at him; he looked like he was struggling to fight back tears. He continued holding me tightly, rubbing a hand over my back.

“I’m sorry, Baylee.” I heard a soft sniff, as he whispered to me, rocking slightly. “I…I’m so sorry.” Suddenly, more memories came into my head. I had been in this position before…crying my eyes out, wrapped in Nick’s arms, practically on his lap, and him rocking slightly, rubbing my back.

Painful flashes, of the hotel room, on the night my dad died; floated through my mind…it was like a movie that I just couldn’t shut off. Closing my eyes, I saw the hospital…the hotel room…that sleepless night; with Nick trying to console me. Seeing images, of us, on the floor, made my tears come harder. His arms had given me so much comfort, that I had so desperately needed.

Even after my grandparents came, he was there, for me. When my mother was transported, to Kentucky, Nick went with us. My dad’s parents had invited my mom’s parents come, to stay, with them, so that all of us were together. We spent every day, at the hospital, with mom. Nick would go home, for a few days, but he would always come back. It was six months, before the final decision was made. She wasn’t improving, and they said it was time.

My mother’s death wasn’t, quite, as traumatic, because I was more prepared, but it still hurt. Nick was there, though, right beside me, as I said my goodbyes. I held my mother’s hand, crying, and Nick stood by me, my grandparents surrounding mom’s bed. My grandparents had asked him, to be there, because they knew how much I needed a friend and, at that point, he was my best friend. When it came time, Nick took me out, of the room. He walked with me, as we wandered outside. Nick didn’t try to offer any words, of sympathy or comfort, but just being there, holding my hand, helped.

When had I forgotten these memories? How could I have forgotten? Or, did I just choose, not to remember? I liked it, so much better, when I couldn’t remember! Somehow, I had been able to push them, from my mind, and forgot the painful details. I willed the memories to go away, so that I could forget them, again, but they just came with stronger force, bringing more along, with them. Every day, I feel the pain and I miss my parents, but today…today it was ten times worse, almost making me wish I had gone, with them.

“I’m so sorry Bay…I’m so sorry…” Nick’s whispers repeated, pain dripping, from his ragged voice. I was pretty sure that he was crying, now, but he was holding me so tight that it was impossible to look up, at him.

“It’s…it’s not your fault Nick.” AJ’s voice was soft, and wavering, matching the emotions I had heard, in Nick’s voice. “I know…that um…you think it’s your fault, but…it’s not.”

“I could have stopped it…dear God…why didn’t I stop it?!?” His voice cracking, Nick ran a hand, over my hair. I could feel the unevenness, of his breathing, as his chest jerked, slightly. These past few years, I have been pushing him away, not thinking about the pain that he was feeling, too. Why hadn’t I thought about how badly this had impacted him? When it happened, he was there for me…he cried with me…he comforted me…he listened…but I had chosen to forget about that, when I pushed the other painful memories, from my mind. In all my outbursts and frustrations, I never took time, to consider his pain.

“It was mine, Nick. The vacation…it was my idea.” AJ’s voice had an, ever so slight, waiver, to it. Suddenly, I felt his arm come around me, as his other circled around Nick. He was kneeling beside us, and as I looked, at him, I saw that his eyes were watering. “If we wouldn’t have gone…on that stupid vacation…” I didn’t think it was possible, for my heart to ache, any more, until I heard that my closest family had blamed themselves, for the horrible outcome, of that vacation. They never acted, like they felt guilty, but I guess we were all fairly good, at hiding our emotions and pain.

“Florida was my idea, though.” I barely heard Howie’s voice, from across the room. Slightly pulling away, from the arms that circled me, I looked over toward him. I couldn’t tell, if he was crying, but his voice wasn’t, entirely, stable.

How could all three, of them, feel this way? They had been blaming themselves, all these years? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised…after all; I had spent plenty, of time, trying to figure out how I could have prevented it. AJ sat, on the floor, his back against the couch, and Nick pulled away, but only slightly…one arm still around my shoulders.

The room went silent, aside from my crying and random sniffs, coming from the three men that had spoken. Kevin stood, in the corner, looking out the window. He almost looked like a mannequin, not moving, or making a sound. Hands shoved in his pockets, his posture showed no sign of emotion.

“You can’t blame yourselves.” Kevin’s voice was deeper than usual, as it broke the silence. Everyone looked, at him, as he sighed, loudly. “None, of you…are responsible…for any, of this.”

“I should have never suggested that damn vacation!” AJ shook his head, furiously. His face portrayed anger, grief, sadness, and so much more. I always shouted, about them not understanding how I felt, but the whole time, they knew…all to well, exactly how I felt.

“The vacation wasn’t a bad idea, Alex…the location, of it, was, though.” Howie walked over, taking a set, next to AJ, on the floor. His expressions matched those, of the rest, of us. Nick sat, quietly, his arm still resting over my shoulder. Just by looking, at him, I could tell his mind was twirling, at full tilt.

“I said…it’s not your fault.” Kevin’s voice grew, a bit, louder, as he continued to stare, out the window. His face was, still, hidden, from us.

“I should have stalled him…just one minute…one measly, lousy minute and…”

“I didn’t stall either.” My voice cracked, interrupting Nick and looking over, to him. “I didn’t even…I was just...we…I mean…” How come I couldn’t form a complete thought?

“STOP IT! All of you…just…STOP!” Kevin’s voice roared, snapping us, all, to attention. He finally turned, facing us. I was shocked, at the look, on his face…he was, seriously, on the verge, of tears, but he was trying to hold them in.

“But, Kevin…we could have…” AJ stood, meeting Kevin’s eyes, but was quickly interrupted.

“NO! No..no..no!” Kevin was shaking his head, furiously, waving a hand, in the air. “I’m the one that was supposed to protect this group. If it’s anyone’s fault, it’s mine!”

“Protect the group? How was getting into drugs, and exposing AJ to them, protecting the group?” Howie turned, from sadness, to anger, as he stood. He took a step, toward Kevin, who was looking at him, like he was crazy.

“Exposing AJ to what, exactly?”

“DRUGS!”

“What the hell, are you talking about?” Kevin scrunched his brows, at Howie, who was now directly in front, of him.

“You gave them, to him!”

“Are you trying to blame me, for AJ’s substance abuse? I never gave him anything, like that!”

“What about the pills, you gave me?” AJ stepped forward. Can anyone tell me, how we went from arguing over my dad’s death, to arguing over AJ’s addictions? I’m lost here!

“That’s what you’re talking about? Those were anti-anxiety pills, Alexander! Those were supposed to help you, so your drinking didn’t get worse…so you would avoid substance abuse.” Staring AJ, in the eyes, Kevin admitted to giving him the pills. Here, I thought he would deny it…shows you what I know.

“Just like you tried helping me, to raise Baylee right, by turning me into you?” Nick’s arm, finally, left my shoulder. He stood up; joining AJ and Howie…it almost looked like they were preparing to attack Kevin.

“You didn’t know anything, about raising a kid!” I looked from Kevin, to the others, and then the doorway.

“Obviously, you aren’t the greatest, at it, either!” AJ’s voice almost screamed. Speaking of which, where was Mason? Hiding, probably…and I couldn’t blame him. This looked like it was going to get, pretty, heated…heck, it was well on the way there, already. I wondered if I could sneak out, of the room, without them noticing. I was already an emotional wreck, and didn’t, really, feel like sitting through this.

“At least AJ didn’t put his family in danger, with his drug use.” Howie scoffed, pursing his lips and crossing his arms. “How long have you been using now? Since what…’99?”

“Excuse me?!? I never took anything, other than prescription pills, until after Brian’s death!”

“Bullshit!” AJ was, now, in Kevin’s face, shouting. I couldn’t help rolling my eyes, as I let out a slow sigh, and watched the fight progress. “You were using, before I was!”

“Pre..scrip..tion…PILLS! I was on anxiety pills…anti-depressants, on and off. Nothing illegal, Alexander!” Kevin gave AJ a, light, push, on the shoulder. Great…it looked like we’re making huge strides, toward working things out.

“Oh yeah? Prescriptions, huh? If that’s true…why did you start using crack, Kevin?” Howie intervened, pulling AJ back, a few steps.

“You want to know what happened? HUH? You really want to know?” Kevin’s face portrayed some, serious, anger, but there was something else, too. I couldn’t figure out, what it was…it looked like I was about to find out, though.

“YES!” AJ, Howie, and Nick all screamed, unanimously. Oh this was SURE to be good. Maybe we would get somewhere, after all. You can’t fix something, until you know what it is, right? So if Kevin confesses everything, maybe we can start working through this. I could only hope.

Sitting back, I drew in a ragged breath. My heart still wasn’t beating normally, and it ached like never before. I had a headache, the size of the, entire, state of Kentucky. My eyes burned, and stung, from all my crying, but tears were still on edge, threatening to fall, at any time. Would it ever get better? After all these years, it still hurt, like I had just found out. Now, I was watching more, of my family, get ripped, to shreds. Maybe there was still time, to fix it, before I lost more of the people I loved.
End Notes:
Thank you all, for reading, and for the wonderful reviews.
Chapter Fifty-Eight by alota_cookin
Tucking my legs, underneath me, I prepared myself, for the verbal blows that were, surely, about to fly; and the explanation we had waited, so long, for. Kevin couldn’t have looked any more annoyed, but yet he also looked strangely uncomfortable. The other guys, however, showed all the signs, of being angry and hurt. Each face portrayed so many mixed emotions, making it hard to separate one from another.

The room’s silence was anything but comforting, as the air, around me, grew thicker. With each passing moment, I found it harder and harder, to breathe. The tension was suffocating, and the glares being passed around, made my skin squirm, as I sat silently.

My eyes darted, around the room, as I waited for someone to say something…anything. Everything, in me, wanted to flee the room, but, on the other hand, I needed the closure that could come, from this. Knowing that we all needed this, I contained my urge, to run.

“Well…” AJ’s eyes looked to be piercing Kevin, right down to the soul. “…what the fuck are you waiting for, Richardson? Don’t you have anything to say, for yourself?” His voice shot daggers, of pure ice, through the tense air.

“Come on…you have to talk sometime, and I think we’ve waited long enough.” Nick’s voice was only slightly warmer, as he cocked his head, to the side and crossed his arms. The need, for explanation, had be suppressed so long, that it had turned into nothing more than bitter grudges.

“Alright…enough already.” I was taken back, by the steadiness, of Howie’s voice, as he interjected. My thoughts drifted, momentarily, wondering why Howie seemed to be so much calmer than Nick, and AJ.

“I…” Kevin began to speak, his voice wavering, slightly. “…I…I…don’t…even know where to start.”

“How about the beginning?” Howie suggested, shrugging his shoulders, and stepping back a bit. The beginning did seem like the best place to start; after all, begin and start do mean the same thing.

Once again, the room fell silent. Kevin looked torn, and even more uncomfortable, as all eyes remained, on him. Letting out a loud sigh, of frustration, AJ shifted his weight, pursing his lips and letting his brows furrow. Nick just shook his head; a surefire sign that his irritation was peaking.

“Fuck this damn shit.” AJ blurted, loudly, making me jump, slightly. “He ain’t gonna say anything…he never does!” Throwing his hands, in the air, he turned on his heal and stalked to the other side, of the room.

“I don’t…I don’t want to talk about this…anymore.” Kevin’s scowl made me cringe. It didn’t seem like a scowl, of anger, but of…something else, I couldn’t, quite, figure out what it was, though.

“Don’t want to talk about it?!?” Nick questioned, narrowing his eyes. Tempers were nearing the breaking point, and I found myself betting that AJ would be the first, to lose it.

Repositioning myself, I caught a glimpse of Mason, standing in the doorway. He looked at me, with sadness mixed in his eyes, along with the same frustration that I felt. Going unnoticed, by the adults, he silently made his way over, and sat beside me. We exchanged looks, and a deep sigh, before turning back, to the adults.

“That’s what I said.” Rubbing the back of his neck, he made a few steps, toward the doorway. “I’ll just um…go up and…”

“Oh hell no!” AJ’s strained scream, interrupted him. Were my eyes playing tricks, or did Kevin just flinch, ever so slightly? Taking quick steps, AJ grabbed Kevin’s shoulder, turning him back around, to face everyone. AJ positioned himself, directly, in front of Kevin, giving him a death glare. “There is no fucking way, you aren’t talking!” Only a foot, of space, separated the men, as AJ’s eyes bore, deep, into Kevin.

“Guys…” Taking a few steps closer, Howie set his hand on AJ’s shoulder, but it was, immediately, shrugged off.

“No.” He cut Howie off, not tearing his eyes off, of Kevin. That little vein, in the side of AJ’s neck, was pulsing with anger, as his lips pursed into a furious scowl. I met Mason’s gaze, and saw worry, traced, in his eyes. When my gaze turned back, to the scene before us, I cringed, seeing AJ shove Kevin’s shoulder. “He’s going to fuckin’ talk! And he’s going to do it now!”

“Don’t touch me!” The piercing growl, made my younger cousin jump, moving closer, to me.

“Come on, Kevin…” AJ growled back, shoving Kevin’s shoulder, again. “You don’t even have an explanation, do you…huh?” Yet another shove, was given, to Kevin’s shoulder. “You’re just making up excuses for your shitty behavior, aren’t you?”

“Back off! You don’t know the first thing, about this, Alexander!” An eruption was rumbling inside, of Kevin, and I knew it would only be moments, before he blew. Glancing from Kevin, to AJ, I knew that AJ was ready to match any explosion that Kevin could muster.

“I know that you’re just fucking around, instead of being a man and fessing up, to shit!” I tried to remember the last time that I had seen AJ’s face portray this much anger, but my memory failed me. Although he had a temper, it rarely escalated, to this point. His eyes looked glazed over, his jaw was clenched tightly, and his eyebrows were knitted together. Kevin’s face almost mirrored that anger, but there was something, in his eyes, that I still couldn’t label.

“AJ’s right!” Nick stepped up, with his own look, of pure fury. “Talk. After everything you’ve put us through, you owe us that much!” A flash of guilt flashed through Kevin’s eyes, but was quickly gone. It happened so fast that I wasn’t sure if I really saw it, in the first place. The pieces fell together, in my mind, as I realized the unknown emotion, in Kevin’s eyes, was some level, of fear.

“I don’t owe you anything!” Kevin’s face changed, suddenly. The anger fell away, and was replaced by something more heart wrenching...it was actually a mixture of things. Looking closely, I saw that guilt, in his eyes again…regret and frustration…pain. There was more, to this, than met the eye…it ran deeper than any, of us, had expected. Evidently, I was the only one, who saw it.

“Bastard!” My attention snapped back, to the scene, in front of me. My jaw dropped and eyes went wide, as I saw AJ’s fist cut through the air, connecting with Kevin’s jaw.

“OW…damn it, Alexander!” Kevin’s hand flew up, cupping his jaw, as he glared at AJ. I sucked in a breath, bracing myself, for a full fist fight.

“ALEX!” Howie set his hands, on AJ’s shoulders, obviously shocked at his actions. Mason’s face, matched mine, as our jaws remained hanging open. I cringed, seeing Kevin start to lunge, toward AJ.

“I’m going to make you regret that, Alexander!” Nick stepped between Kevin, and AJ, placing his hand on Kevin’s chest. “Move, Nickolas!” Kevin attempted to move, around him, shoving to get past. While Nick fought, to hold Kevin at bay, Howie struggled to hold AJ back.

“HEY! This isn’t solving anything!” Howie’s voice wasn’t as calm, anymore, as he pulled AJ back and stepped in front, of him.

“Go ahead and make me regret it, Richardson…I fucking dare you! You don’t even have the balls to talk to us…you sure as hell don’t have them, to make me regret a damn thing!”

“You don’t know anything, about this! So, why don’t you back, the hell, off me, McLean?” Kevin’s voice cracked, but I couldn’t tell if it was from the volume…or something else. He seemed so uncomfortable…maybe even nervous.

“GUYS! Enough already! Seriously!” Nick remained between them, his hand on Kevin’s chest. This was getting out of hand. When would it stop?

“It’s his fucking fault!” AJ’s voice thundered, louder than ever; his finger pointing at the older man. I couldn’t take it anymore…this was insane. The fighting was getting out of hand, and needed to stop. You can’t work anything out, if you’re just screaming at each other. My thoughts drifted, for a moment, thinking of all the times I spent screaming back, and forth, with Nick; and how we never got anywhere, when we did.

Looking up, I watched Kevin and AJ struggling, to get to each other. The arguing was raging on, as Nick and Howie tried to play referee. All four voices were screaming, mixing together in a confusing jumble. Seeing Mason near tears, I knew I had to say something. I felt like I needed to protect my little cousin, from the madness. Something had to be said, or done, and fast. Swallowing the lump that resided in my throat, I opened my mouth, prepared to say something, when…

“Stop it!” Mason’s voice cracked, through the air, making everyone stop and look his way. My mouth still open, I stared, at him, seeing that his eyes were actually watering, now. “Please…please just…stop. Stop yelling! Stop fighting! You guys promised, no more fighting…you…you promised!” Pain etched all over his face, he tried to blink away the tears that were threatening, to fall. Letting my hand reach out, I set it on his arm, trying to offer some kind of support or comfort.

“You guys did promise.” My voice was soft, and barely audible, as I looked up at them. I knew how Mason felt…the frustration…the pain…it sucked watching your family fall apart. Let’s face it, we have other blood relatives, but this was always the core, of our family…no matter how dysfunctional it has been.

“We did promise.” AJ’s arms dropped, as he shrugged off Howie’s hands, and took a few steps back. His face softened, as he walked over, to us. Looking back, to Kevin, they locked eyes. “We shouldn’t fight…especially in front of the boys.”

“AJ’s right.” Kevin’s comment made everyone’s attention snap, to him. “I’m sorry, boys…I was out of line.” Bowing his head, he shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Yeah, me, too. I uh…sorry I decked you, Kev.”

“I deserved it…I um…well it’s my fault. Over the years I’ve…I’ve done things that…I’m not so proud of, now. I thought they were right, at the time…but obviously…” Letting out a sigh, Kevin trailed off, walking over and sinking down, into the recliner.

“You have to talk, to us, about it, Kevin.” Howie spoke up, as everyone found a seat, and tried to get comfortable. Irritation was still evident, around the room, but the anger seemed to subside, slightly.

“There’s just so much, to explain, and I really don’t expect you, all, to understand.” A long sigh escaped his mouth, as he rubbed a hand over his face. “I don’t even understand most of it, anymore.”

“I think it’s safe, to say, that we can’t get anymore confused, than we already are.” I could sense that AJ was trying to hold back his anger, as he spoke to Kevin. The room fell silent again.

“Um…what if we take it one topic, at a time?” Nick sighed, running his fingers through his hair. Ok, this was good…everyone was sitting down…voices were calmer…the glares, of death, had stopped…

“How about we start, by clearing up this drug thing. You said something about prescriptions?” Howie waved a hand, in the air, as if to portray his confusion. This was it…we were really going to get somewhere! I was nervous and anxious…to a point that my heart was beating twice its normal rate.

“They were for anxiety. It’s not uncommon, you know. I was stressed out and…whatever…so my doctor gave them to me, to help me deal with things.” Kevin’s shoulders shrugged, as he slouched further, into the recliner.

“But why…would you give them…to AJ?” Howie emphasized his words, and I think his tolerance levels were starting to fade, again. I said a silent prayer, hoping that we could make some kind of progress…any progress…before another fight broke out.

“I already told you!” Throwing his hands, in the air, Kevin’s scowl surfaced, again. “I thought they would help him! I had switched to a different prescription, but still had half, of that bottle, left.” His face softened, once more, as he continued on, with his explination. “AJ had recently found out about the decline in his grandmother’s health, and we were all noticing more drastic changes, in his behavior. I knew his drinking was starting to get, completely, out of control. I thought, by taking the pills, it would help him deal with everything. None of us could get him to talk, or listen; he just kept on the same destructive path, and I was hoping that, by taking the anxiety pills, he wouldn’t feel such a need, to drink! It made sense! I just didn’t know he would mix them with over the counter sedatives, and even more Jack Daniels.”

“Why didn’t you talk to us, about this, to begin with? We could have helped keep an eye, on him. You knew that we were all concerned!” Nick looked from Kevin, to AJ, who looked, almost, ashamed. I can’t imagine that he was prepared, for the old wounds to be ripped, back, open. AJ, to this day, still struggled with his past. He was doing well, and I am sure Riley was a big part, of that, but who would want their mistakes brought up, again, and thrown in their face?

“Nick brings up a good point. Why wouldn’t you have told us, about this?” Licking his lips, Howie directed his attention, to the oldest man. There was so much, to this, that we hadn’t heard yet…who was right? Who was wrong? Or was everyone partially wrong?

“Because it’s technically illegal and I couldn’t allow you guys to think that I condoned illegal behavior. I was the ‘father’ of the group, back then, and I was supposed to be responsible for all, of you.” At that moment, Kevin appeared a good ten years older, than what he really was. He looked as if he had the weight, of the world, on his shoulders…like he was accountable, for so much more, than any one person should be.

“Here we go with this shit, again. How come you always use that fucking ‘I was the father, of the group’ line, as a fallback? Can’t you just admit that you were wrong?” AJ pursed his lips, repositioning himself. He let out a sharp puff, of air, as if he were mocking Kevin’s statements. Obviously, the wounds were still sore, and AJ was struggling to face the subject.

“It’s not shit, Alexander. I was viewed as the responsible one…the one that was supposed to keep the rest, of you, in line. Management expected it, of me. I never said I was good at it, or that I did it well…just that it was my title.” I do believe that I saw a hint, of hurt, in Kevin’s eyes, as his gaze met AJ’s.

“But…if you were only trying to help, by giving him anxiety medication…” Howie turned, tilting his head, and facing AJ. “…then why were you telling us that Kevin was responsible for getting you hooked, on drugs?”

“Because he was! He’s the one who made me realize that drugs could make you feel better!” AJ’s voice hit a new level, making me jump, but he remained in his seat. The raw pain, in his eyes, matched what I saw in Kevin’s. I found myself wondering if any, of them, realized how this was affecting each, of the others. There are always two sides, to a story, and it can be so hard, to see something through another person’s eyes….especially when you’ve only seen one side, for so many years.

“I think…maybe you misinterpreted his intentions?” Nick shrugged, before continuing, “Not that I think he was right, by giving them, to you.” Shaking his head, Nick sighed, like he couldn’t find the right words, to say.

The room went silent. AJ’s head fell into his hands and Kevin rubbed his hands over his face, as everyone else’s gaze fell to the floor. My eyes lifted, from the carpet, and I looked around, trying to analyze what I saw, in each person’s eyes. Oddly enough, each set portrayed the same things. My mind swirled, as we sat in an awkward silence.

Did the others even realize that Kevin was hurting, just as bas, as they were? That he had regrets…guilt…and pain, like them? Kevin didn’t look like that harsh monster that was always screaming and making threats, anymore. He looked like a broken man, who desperately needed someone to listen…someone to understand. After all, he was human, just like the rest, of us. I suppose, everyone had been ganging up, on him, for so long, that he was viewed as an enemy, of sorts.

Silently, I lifted myself, from the couch. Making my way, into the kitchen, I set out to retrieve six bottles, of water. After grabbing them, from the refrigerator, I headed back, into the living room. Making my way around the room, I passed out the drinks, then took my spot on the couch, and cracked open my own water. Something told me that this night was far, from over.
End Notes:
*bites nails* I hope it came out alright...there is more to come, the drama isn't quite over. Thank you guys SO much for sticking with me, on this story!
Chapter Fifty-Nine by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
WOW! Sorry it's been so long! I really hope you guys think this chapter was worth the wait! I'll try not to make you wait so long, for the next one.
There was a good twenty minutes, of complete silence, after I came back with everyone’s drinks. The bottles of water were long gone, and everyone looked sad…of all the emotions that were felt, sadness was the one that seemed to be seen, on everyone’s face. I was beginning to wonder if the silence would bring me to a slow painful death, when Kevin cleared his throat.

“It isn’t easy, to talk about this.” His eyes lifted, from the floor, to AJ. “You, of all people, should understand this.” Every pair, of eyes, was now fixed on Kevin. He now looked confused…maybe even ashamed. “When I said I never took anything other than my prescriptions, until after Brian’s death…I meant it.”

“Well then what caused all those mood changes? Even the last few years, of Brian’s life…you weren’t yourself…you were like a completely different person.” The calmness, in Nick’s voice, amazed me. There was no anger, in it, and he sounded genuinely concerned.

“I honestly can’t answer that, Nick.” Letting out a heavy sigh, Kevin dropped his gaze, to the floor. “I started taking the pills, to help me cope with various things. Maybe my moods were contributed to the side effects, from the prescriptions…maybe I’d just lost the steam that had kept me going through our early years, as a group…maybe it was stress finally catching up to me…it could have been everything combined…I really don’t know. To be truthful…” Looking at Kevin, as he paused, I could swear there were tears forming in his eyes, again. “…I didn’t even see how much I was changing until…”

“Until the accident, right?”

“Yes AJ…until the accident.” Nodding his head, he seemed surprised that AJ was able to finish his sentence. Actually, I think we were all surprised by that.

“But you changed even more, after the accident Kevin. If you realized what was going on then why didn’t you correct it?” Howie shifted, in his seat, looking around the room before letting his eyes meet Kevin’s. I have to agree that he had a good question. Why would Kevin have just continued to let things go downhill, instead of fixing them? It didn’t really make much sense.

“Guilt.” One word…just that one word, from AJ’s mouth, sent Kevin into hysterical tears. It appeared; that AJ hit the nail on the head…he was right. How in the halibut was AJ right? “When you realized how you treated him, the guilt made things worse. Instead of fixing the problem, you allowed it to consume you…that’s when you tried the harder drugs…before you knew what was happening, you found yourself drowning in them, trying to forget.”

Kevin’s body shook, his head in his hands, as sobs invaded him. I guess AJ was really hitting home…he really had figured it out. How, though? Mason, and I, looked from AJ, to Kevin, confused. There was obviously something going on, that we didn’t understand…something we had missed.

“I…I just….” His voice cracked, and ultimately failed him, as he tried to speak through his tears. It was about time, we got somewhere! Part of me wanted to let out a sigh of relief, because we were making progress, but part of me was still sitting on edge, waiting for all the pieces to fit together.

“You thought you could make the pain go away.” AJ walked over to Kevin, sitting on the floor, in front of him. Kevin didn’t look up, as AJ continued. “…thought you could block it out…forget about it…make yourself numb to it.” Taking a long pause, he let out a deep sigh. “I get it now.”

“I…I…was …supposed to be there…why didn’t I protect…them?” Kevin’s voice was all over the place…the pitch and tone cracked…his sobs making it hard to understand him. “I should….have done something…anything! I’m such an asshole! I never meant…I only wanted….but it didn’t…and I…” The next movement came from AJ, and it shocked everyone else, in the room. He sat up on his knees, and wrapped his arms around the older man. The rest, of us, looked at each other, surprised.

“Come on Kev….just let it out…it’s about fucking time you just…let it out.” AJ’s face was pain stricken, as he tightened his grip around Kevin’s shaking body. There was obviously something I didn’t get, and Mason was as baffled as I was.

“How could I have let…this happen? Why was I…” Kevin’s crying didn’t let up, but unlike last time…I was sure it was genuine. How I knew…beats me…but I did. “I…I screwed everything up! Brian…I know he…he had to…when he…and Kris…when it…oh God!” His shoulder shook with more force, as he let his fingers tangle in his hair.

“Brian didn’t hate you, Kevin…neither did Krs…” AJ’s voice was so quiet, as Kevin finally looked up, at him. I couldn’t help but let a small smile creep to my face when AJ added, “…none of us do.”

“How could you not? After the things I’ve done…what I’ve said…I’ve…I’ve been so horrible.”

“That doesn’t mean we hate you, Kevin…and it doesn’t mean that we can’t forgive you.”

“Howie’s right…” Nick finally looked up, from his fidgeting hands. He looked around the room, pausing when he came to me, and Mason. When he switched his gaze, over to Kevin, he spoke up again. “We’ve all done things we aren’t proud of. That’s the whole point of this trip, right? To talk? Heal? Be like a family again?” Shrugging his shoulders, he looked back down, to his hands. Kevin just nodded, slightly, unable to talk. He had stopped crying, but you could still see the pain, regret and shame, in his eyes.

“You can’t run, from it, anymore, Kevin. You have to face your demons…that’s the only way things can get any better.”

“Better, AJ? How…how can things get better?!? I’ve…I lost my wife…I don’t even have my son anymore…and…I killed my cousin.” Tears nestled in his eyes, again, as Kevin looked up at AJ.

“You didn’t kill Brian…it was an accident…that’s something we all need to accept.”

“You know…” I looked over at Nick, as he stood up and crossed the living room floor. He sat down, next to AJ, and looked up at Kevin, who was still hunched in the recliner. “…it’s not often we get to say it…but AJ’s right.”

“Thanks, Carter…’ppreciate it.” Rolling his eyes, AJ nudged Nick’s shoulder. It was nice to have a light moment, in the middle of all this…crap…it didn’t last long, though.

“As much as we like to blame ourselves…”

“…none of us could have stopped it. Well…at least that’s what Morgan always tells me.” I shrugged my shoulders, finishing Nick’s comment, and finally contributing to the conversation. At that moment, I looked over at Mason, just to make sure he was still awake. Of course, he was…but he was just so quiet and just stared at the floor.

“Besides…it’s not too late, with Mason.” Kevin’s head snapped, to look at Nick. “The only reason Kris gave me temporary custody was because…well, she knew it would piss you off. She thought that you would want him out of my guardianships so badly…that it would make you get help…and get better. Even before she passed, Kev…she still loved you…sure she wasn’t happy with your behavior, but she didn’t hate you, either.”

The room fell silent, again, as Kevin looked from one man, to another. After several moments, his eyes drifted to me, but ended on Mason. A low whisper escaped his lips, his eyes tearing up again. “I miss my son.” I watched Mason hop up, quickly, and run over to his dad. As he drew near, Kevin looked up, and then Mason fell into his arms.

“I miss my dad.” Mason clung to Kevin. Wrapping his arms around his son, Kevin broke down into tears again. I’ve never seen him cry this much…actually…I don’t think I’ve ever seen Kevin truly cry. There were the few times I had seen him fake it, but this time, it seemed so real…like his heart was actually aching and like he really felt sorry for his actions.

“So basically…” Howie spoke up, making Kevin and Mason break apart. Bringing his hands up, Kevin quickly wiped his cheeks, before turning his attention to Howie; and Mason took a seat on the floor, next to Kevin. “…if I have this straight…you were on prescriptions, for stress and anxiety? Then after the accident, you exposed yourself to illegal drugs, trying to compensate for your previous actions, and the guilt or grief that you were feeling?”

Clearing his throat, Kevin looked down to his hands. “Sounds um…pretty stupid, doesn’t it?” He let his gaze come up, to scan everyone in the room.

“So…if you were so upset about how you treated Brian, and everything…” Nick visibly swallowed, as if a large lump was stuck in his throat. His fingers twisted, at the hem of his shirt, as he continued. “Why uh…why did you…”

“…treat you like shit?” Kevin’s voice was low, when he realized where Nick’s question was leading. Everyone straightened up, waiting for his response…his excuse…whatever explanation he could offer. He drew in a deep breath, his shoulders visibly sinking. “I guess because I felt like I could have prevented the accident…I felt like I took Baylee’s dad away from him. I felt like it was my responsibility to make sure he was raised the way Brian would have wanted. I didn’t think you could handle raising him…you’ve always been an oversized kid, yourself, how could you raise one? I didn’t think about there being a reason for Brian picking you…or that he was an oversized kid, too…my brain couldn’t accept that he would have wanted you to raise Baylee the way you saw fit…I just thought…I don’t know, like I had to…control the situation because it was my fault the situation even existed. God none of this makes sense when I say it out loud.” He let his head drop into his hands, his eyes squeezing shut.

“You didn’t think I could handle Bay? As much time as I spent with him before the accident? As much as I watched him? As responsible as I was, with him?” Nick’s eyes looked hurt and offended, as he questioned Kevin. I couldn’t blame him. Sure Nick, and I, don’t get along too well, sometimes…but he never slacked off, when it came to me…he always took care of me, made me do my homework, study for my tests, supported me when I needed it…

“I guess I failed to see how much you had grown up, over the years. I mean obviously you had matured, but I guess I was reluctant to see how much you had matured. Then when you got custody…I couldn’t see past the little blonde runt that couldn’t even take care of himself.” Kevin refused to meet Nick’s gaze, as he spoke. “Overall…I was an asshole, and I really don’t have a good excuse for it.”

“At least you can admit it.” Shaking his head, Nick turned on his heel and headed back to the couch. He plopped down, next to me, giving me a somewhat defeated look. The room fell silent, once again. Was that it? It couldn’t be that simple, could it? I mean Kevin had clarified a lot, of things…but…everyone was so calm and it just seemed too easy. I’ve gotten used to everything being complicated and frustrating…could it be possible that something went smoothly, for once?

“So where do we stand, then?” At the sound, of AJ’s voice, everyone looked up, not knowing what to say.

“Where do we go, from here?”

“How do we fix this family?” Nick added to the line of questions, without letting the others even be answered.

“Can…can I have my dad back…now?” Mason let his eyes look up, and plead with his father. Everything relied on Kevin…how he would react…if he would change…if he would allow things to return to some kind of normalcy. Unfortunately, only time would really tell.

“Um…all I wanna know is if the fighting can be over.” I gave the group a lopsided grin, which was returned by almost everyone. Again…the room went quiet. Almost ten minutes passed, everyone just looking around, at each other. “Ok…someone say something!” I let a sigh escape my lips. All I wanted was for one of the adults to bring this to a conclusion, so that everyone knew where we stood…were things going to get better now? Would Kevin be able to stay sober? Was Mason going to be coming home with me, and Nick? Somebody better give me some answers!

“It time for us to put this all behind us…move on…let it rest in the past, so that we can work on the relationships we need to have, now.” My eyes widened, as I looked to the owner, of the voice. I know Nick’s not usually the type to hold grudges, but I didn’t expect him to forgive and forget, all the crap Kevin put him through, that quickly.

“We have to get over everything that’s happened and work on putting the pieces back together. If not for our own sake…we have to do it, for the boys.” I didn’t really expect AJ to be so calm, and willing to forget, either. He’s the one who actually claimed to hate Kevin, more than anyone else in the world. Then again, I know, from experience, that people can say things they really don’t mean, in the heat of an argument.

“I did a lot of thinking, during rehab and I realized a lot of things.” Kevin looked up, locking eyes with each person, for a moment before he stood up and approached Nick. “I’m sorry for not having faith in you…for not trusting that you would take good care, of Baylee, when you have proven yourself time and time again…for being an idiot about the whole thing. Brian made a good choice, and I’ve just failed to see it…I’m sorry.”

“Thank you, Kevin.” Nick was now standing and staring into Kevin’s eyes…matching his gaze. Suddenly, Nick stepped to him, giving him a quick hug. Next thing I knew, Kevin was looking straight at me.

“I owe you an apology, too, Baylee. I’ve done nothing but make things harder, for you. My ignorance has put a strain on your relationship, with Nick. All this time, I thought the fighting and rebellion toward his authority was because he was doing such a poor job at being your guardian…but, I know I’ve contributed, by always belittling him, in front of you. By constantly doing that, I made you question his authority more and, in turn, made things harder than they needed to be.” I stared at him, not knowing what to say. I’ve never thought about the impact Kevin’s words may have had, on my behavior…yet, it made sense.

He made his rounds, apologizing to each one, of us. Telling AJ that his intentions, for giving him the pills, was to help him, but now he could see where he may have just made things worse; and also for being hypocritical by riding AJ’s back, so hard, about his addictions when he had his own addictions, too. He apologized, to Howie, for passing so many responsibilities, onto his shoulders…for making Howie pick up the slack, when he wasn’t holding up his end of things. Lastly, he pulled Mason into his arms, begging for his forgiveness. He said he was sorry for all the pain he put Mason through…for unintentionally ripping his mother away…and for not being the father he should have been.

After the round of apologies, everyone hugged and agreed to start things over…clearing the records and focusing on our ‘family’. We started this out with dinner. Kevin headed out, to finish the chores, Howie offering to help him. AJ started picking up the house and setting the table for dinner, while Nick, Mason, and I prepared dinner. Just as we were about to sit down and eat, the doorbell rang. Rushing out of the room, I went to open the front door.

“Hello?” Looking at the two women before me, I was puzzled. I didn’t have the slightest clue who they were.

“Oh my goodness, Baylee! You’ve grown so much!” The blonde woman gushed, grabbing me into a hug. She was a bit taller than me, with short blonde hair; she looked to be around Nick’s age and a set of blue eyes that almost matched his. I’m sure my face was covered in shock, as this unknown woman gripped me tightly.

“Darby, hun…he probably doesn’t even remember you. Just look at the poor boy’s face.” The other woman chuckled. She was shorter than me; with soft brown eyes and longer dark brown hair. I felt Nick’s hand rest on my shoulder, as the woman finally released me.

“Bay Bay…this is Mel…and Darby…right? We were just sitting down for dinner, would you ladies like to join us? There’s plenty to go around.” Nick offered them a warm smile, stepping aside, to let them in.

“Thanks, Nick!” They both chimed, in unison, nodding their acceptance, of his offer. I was still completely confused. Who the heck are these women? Are they relatives…old friends…neighbors? Why can’t anyone fill me in, here? They followed Nick, into the dining room, with me right behind. Sitting down, the adults all started talking a mile a minute, leaving me and Mason in the dust. Mason and I looked at each other, confused, but shrugged our shoulders and dug in. This day was surely going to get even more interesting, which I had previously thought to be impossible!
End Notes:
I see there are a lot of reviews I need to respond to! I will do my best to get to them all tomorrow...you guys know I respond to every one, it just takes me a while sometimes, LOL. But I really want to make sure you all know that I appreciate every single one of them! Thank you, so much, for reading! *MUAH*
Chapter Sixty by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Close your jaws, your eyes aren't decieving you...I really did update again! LOL. This is what I like to call a 'stress relief' chapter...I hope you guys like it!
“So then, the balloon popped, right in your hands! You poor thing…you screamed for a good ten minutes!” Darby’s eyes twinkled, as she finished telling me some story, from my childhood. I had come to find that Darby was a relative, to my father, by marriage. They had explained it all, but I just got confused…I was told I could just call her Aunt Darby…I’m not really sure if she’s actually an aunt, or a great aunt, or a fourth cousin twice removed.

“Oh but you were as cute as a button! You just clung to Nick’s leg, since your parents were in the house rounding up dinner. You two have always been so adorable together!” Mel was, evidently, another relative…again, I wasn’t sure exactly how we were related. Seriously…when they tried to explain it, it was like some sort of twisted history lesson or something…my dad was related to so and so, who married this person, and that person’s daughter was cousins to another person, who married somebody else…I mean really, did they expect me to know what they were talking about?

“HEY!” AJ, who was sitting across from Mel, pointed his fork, at her. “You should tell them the story about the time with the tire swing and the pigs…that’s a good one!”

“I remember that! It was right after that nasty storm.” Howie chuckled, obviously remembering the story that AJ had brought up. This was like some weird family reunion…the adults had not stopped talking, since the moment we all sat down, to eat.

“Oh…that is a good one!” Mel’s head bobbed, as she served herself some more potatoes. I had to admit, they were really nice. I wasn’t too sure if I liked the adults talking about all these stories, from when Mason and I were younger, but the air was light and it was a nice change. It was so much easier to breathe, in this atmosphere, as opposed to the one from earlier this evening.

“Mmm! The storm was horrible…I remember the winds were near record speeds, for that summer.” Kevin had been very involved, with the conversations. Everyone seemed so at ease...there had not been a single harsh word, and I could tell that it wasn’t just because the ladies were here. “The barn door was nearly ripped off.”

“Oh yes, and the pigs got out, somehow. I still don’t think Nick closed their pen’s gate all the way.” Darby picked up the story, throwing a smirk in Nick’s direction. Rolling his eyes, he let out a huff.

“I closed that gate…it was latched.” Nick’s head tilted when Darby and Mel giggled at him. “I’m serious!”

“No matter. The point is that the pigs got loose, in the middle of this bad storm. The thunder was so loud that you two boys would jump right out of your skin, every time it cracked…and the lightning, wow, it lit up the whole sky!” Darby was a lady who talked with her hands and it worried me a little, since I was sitting next to her and her hands kept coming awfully close to her glass. I could just see the grape juice spilling all over my clothes…and I was wearing my favorite shirt, which happened to be mainly white…and as we all know...grape juice doesn’t come out!

“Boy, the rain sure was coming down, too! After a while, the lightning and thunder dissipated, but the rain just would not let up!” Mel happily continued the story, as she used her fork to make a mountain, out of her corn and potatoes.

“Of course we had to round up the pigs.” Nick rolled his eyes, annoyed at the memory. Surely he was not too hip, on the idea of chasing pigs in the rain. You know…I wouldn’t have wanted to do it, either!

“All of us headed out to find the pigs, since they were scattered everywhere. You two boys were having the time, of your lives, out in those mud puddles…well, with that storm, they were more like mud lakes!” Kevin’s chuckle filled the air and a smile crossed his lips. He looked off, as if he were getting lost in the memory.

“So here you two little ones are…covered from head to toe, in mud! Brian and Nick are trying to get you to come along and help find the pigs. I’m not sure how they were able to get you to do it, but finally you followed, shouting ‘Here, piggy, piggy!’, at the top of your lungs.” Howie contributed, to the story, leaning back in his seat.

“So the five of us…you two, me, Bri and Howie…all head down toward the lake. Once we get there, we see the biggest pig…he was like hiding under the trees or whatever. Needless to say, when you guys saw the tire swing, the whining started. Neither, of you had been out there before, so it was all new, to you and you wanted to play on the tire swing.” Nick’s grin grew, with every word. Everyone was chuckling, as they all took turns telling us the story. All the plates were empty now, and everyone was just sitting, at the table, talking about what had happened. Luckily, for me, Darby’s glass was empty, now, too!

“You and Brian were chasing that huge pig in every direction.” Howie shook his head, looking beside him, at Nick. “Mud was flying everywhere and we were starting to look like the kids!”

“Yeah, yeah! Then…Baylee, you were trying to climb onto the tire, while Howie was helping Mason tie his shoe. When all of the sudden the pig came flying your way…”

“Oh right! The pig ran into you, knocking you off your feet…”

“…and you landed on its back!” Nick and Howie were taking turns, now, dramatically explaining what happened. They would look serious…then crack up…then their eyes would grow wide…and their hands whipped in every direction.

“Now this pig is running wild, with you clinging to its back!” Howie took over again and I was beginning to get an ache, in my neck, from looking back, and forth, between them.

“Your legs were flying everywhere, as you wrapped your little arms around its neck. Your dad was flipping out and started chasing after it.”

“Brian was screaming ‘Let go of my son, you wicked swine!’ and Nick here was just double over, cracking up!” They both started laughing again, along with all the other adults. Mason and I looked at each other, not sure what to think about the events we were being told about…neither of us remembered the incident, but it was rather humorous, to picture it happening.

“Needless to say, we’re shouting at you, to let go, but you were scared the pig was gonna trample you, if you did. So, you just hung onto that pig, like nobody’s business.”

“Finally, we joined Brian, in chasing the pig. It was running in circles, kicking up more and more mud. Your dad’s face was covered, Baylee, and he had this crazy look, on his face.”

“Yeah yeah…” Nick was getting a little too into this, as he leaned forward. Everyone was in a fit of giggles, chuckles, or full out laughter. The story wasn’t done yet, though. “So we get this thing cornered, right? Well, finally you fall off it, because it stopped moving. Then it charges at your dad! So he’s running around, being chased by this pig, and his arms are waving in the air like he had just seen a zombie!”

“He came running all the way back, to the house. We had already gotten the other pigs rounded up, when we see him come running out of the woods, screaming like a little school girl! His arms are waving, he’s zig zagging back and forth, he’s covered in mud, and running at full speed. Nick and Howie are right behind him, each carrying one of you, on their hip. It was the funniest thing I had seen in a long damn time!” AJ shook his head, laughing and obviously remembering the events, very clearly.

“AJ and I grabbed the pig, as Brian ran past, and got it back into the pen, with all the others. It took several minutes before he caught his breath, and mumbled something about being happy we caught the wicked pig.” There was an obvious change in Kevin…his attitude…his smile…his tone of voice…it was obvious that the talking had done him some good. I was relieved that things might really get back to normal, this time.

“Once he finally caught his breath, he casually walked up to Kevin…” Darby’s grin told me what had happened next. It wasn’t even that hard to figure out, so I just finished her sentence for her.

“Let me guess…dad hugged him.”

“EXACTLY!” The whole table, of adults chimed together, before bursting into loud fits of laughter.

“I can imagine the look on your face, dad.” This was the first time Mason had spoken, since everyone sat down. He had been so quiet; barely laughing at the various stories we were told. I was wondering if something was wrong, but when he looked at me, I realized he was probably just thinking things over.

“Well, we best be on our way.” Everyone stood, as Mel smiled and set her napkin down.

“Oh my! I hadn’t realized it had gotten so late! Please forgive us for not staying to help with the dishes.” Darby frowned, looking at the guys. I knew it was pretty standard, especially in our family, that when you were a guest for a meal…you always helped to clean up. Most of the time the host would tell you it wasn’t necessary, but you still offered, at least twice, to help.

“Um…don’t worry about it, Mason and I can clean up.” Yes, I offered to do the cleaning…I know, shocker, right? But, the ladies were nice…and the talk had finally happened…I just figured it would be good to suck it up and take the duties.

“We will?” Mason lifted a brow, turning to me. I gave him an elbow, in the ribs, and that look that Nick always gives me…you know…the one that says ‘Don’t argue with me, because you’re gonna do it, and you’re gonna like it.’.

“Of course we will, Mason! We have a lot to be thankful for, and it’s the least we can do.” I turned my gaze to the ladies, who were heading toward the front door. A few moments of good-bye’s and they were on their way. After waving them off, I pulled Mason back into the dining room. He gave me a look, of hesitation, but I smothered it with another ‘Don’t you dare argue.’ look. When we carried the second load, of dishes, into the kitchen, we found Nick standing at the sink.

“Hey boys…just set those right there, on the counter.” His arms were up to the elbow, in soap suds, as he washed the silverware. He gave me a grin, and nodded to the counter, where he wanted the dirty dishes to go. I set the plates down and reached over, to slip the forks into the sink.

“Oops! I’m sorry, Nick!” I apologized as soon as I saw the suds spring up and hit him in the nose. Really, I didn’t mean to drop the forks, like that…but they were a little greasy and they slipped. Nick turned his head, glaring at me, with the little bubbles still on his nose. “I didn’t mean to.”

“Oh that’s it young man!” His face looked mad, but I knew it was an act when he sent suds flying through the air. They hit me square, in the face. Nick leaned onto the sink, laughing.

“Eew! My mouth was open!” Scrunching my nose, I quickly came back up to him and tried to reach around him. He moved his body, to keep me away from the suds, but I slipped an arm under his and tried flinging more bubbles, at him.

“Um…I think I’ll just…” Mason started backing out of the room, when Nick and I looked at each other, with wicked grins. All at once, Mason had four handfuls of soap suds flying at him. Before I knew it, there was an all out war, in the kitchen. We were chasing each other around, throwing bubbles, and tackling each other.

“What the fuck is…” When AJ walked in, to find out what the commotion was al about, he didn’t even get to ask the whole question, before he was attacked. Mason hoped onto his back, while Nick rubbed bubbles in his hair. Howie was next, to be pulled into the brawl…followed lastly, by Kevin. The whole house was in an uproar! Laughter filled the house, and everyone participated in the game. It was stress relief, at its best!

Once the brawl settled down, an hour later, I begged Nick to take me to town. I wanted, so badly, to talk to Morgan and fill her in, on everything…I just didn’t have cell signal on the farm, and there was no land line, since no one lives there on a permanent basis. Luckily, Nick agreed…and even had a grin, on his face, when he did.

“You’ll get signal, as soon as we get around these curves, and over that hill there.” Nick chuckled, seeing me stare at my cell, waiting for signal to appear. I saw him shake his head. “When will you realize Bay? When will you realize?”

“Realize what?” Briefly looking up, from my phone, I turned my attention to him. He was just about to respond when my phone beeped, telling me I finally had signal! My fingers quickly hit the speed dial number, for Morgan, and then the phone was to my ear.

“BAYLEE!!!!!!” Morgan’s voice nearly pierced my eardrum, but I’ve never been so happy, to hear her squeal. A smile instantly crossed my face, as she began to talk a mile, a minute. Have I ever mentioned that I love my best friend?
End Notes:
Thanks, to all of you who have stayed loyal readers! I also appreciate all the feedback...I have officially caught up and respoded to them all! ;-)
Chapter Sixty-One by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Hey! Sorry it's been so long. I really hope you all haven't forgotten poor Baylee. My schedule seems to be slowing down some, so hopefully another update will be up soon. Thank you, to everyone who is still reading, and keeping up with me here.
Vacation was finally over and we were packed back into the van, with the cramped up legs and stiff shoulders. The last few days, at the family farm, actually went pretty well. Of course they were not without a few arguments, but they weren’t anything like they used to be. It was really weird to see an argument between Nick, Kevin, and AJ end in a compromise…and the compromise happened before anyone got the chance to start yelling! I even had to pinch myself, just to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating! Everyone was putting forth their best effort, to make things better, and that was clearly obvious.

Now, I was leaning my head back and letting out a soft sigh. The silence, of the van, was driving me completely crazy! No one was talking and the radio wasn’t even on…which I found odd, but I just figured it was to spare any argument, over the music choice. I had been occupying my mind by texting with Morgan, but she had to go help her mom, with something. Therefore, I now found myself insanely BORED, fiddling with my dad’s journal, in my hands.

I was debating on reading some of the journal, but I find myself torn. Reading the journal makes me feel closer to my dad. Sometimes, I look beside me, and swear I can see him sitting there, smiling at me. On the other hand, though, it’s sort of depressing, because I know there are so many memories, that the journal doesn’t cover…ones that may be forever forgotten. I was so young, when mom and dad left me, that my memories seem to be few, and far between…unless something triggers my brain, to remember.

This is what I find so frustrating…and so unfair! I mean, if God decided it was time to take my parents, couldn’t he have, at least, left me with my memories? Not that I expect to remember every little detail, about them, or my childhood, but I do wish I could remember more. The adults, in this van, all have vivid and clear memories of my parents…mine seem fuzzy, like the snow stuff you get on your TV, when the cable goes out…and incomplete, like a puzzle that lost most of its pieces. My heart even aches, when they start talking about my dad, like they just saw him yesterday. How is it fair, that they get those whole memories, and I don’t?

Looking down at the journal, and running my fingers, over the worn leather, I found myself wishing it was only half, of a set. I could never deny that I cherish my dad’s journal; with everything in me…I just wish I had my mom’s diary, to go with it. There is no way for me to know, if she even kept a diary, but the thought of all the memories she may have been able to spark, makes me wish I had something like that, from her. Not once have I looked beside me, and sworn I could feel her sitting there. I can picture her face, in my mind, but…it’s just…different. Maybe I just had a different connection, with my dad…maybe it’s because of having his journal, to read…I can’t exactly describe the difference, and I guess no one else could really understand, unless they have felt it, too.

My fingers slipped under the leather cord, that tied the journal closed, and I began to loosen it. Reading one or two entries would help to pass the time, if nothing else. I really could use an escape from the boring, yet still stressful, road trip. Dad’s journal was my own personal time machine, and a blast, to the past, may be entertaining…depending on dad’s mood in the entries.

“Can’t we turn on the radio?” Mason’s voice was some kind of cross between a whine, and a groan, as it snapped me out of my thoughts. Glancing to my watch, I found that we had been on the road for three hours, already, without even a bathroom break. I’d be willing to bet that was because AJ was driving and he was in a mad rush, to get home and see Riley. Although, I would be lying if I said that, I wasn’t just as excited about seeing Morgan. Both AJ, and I, had a long wait ahead of us, though. Mason and I were sitting in the back, of the van, just like we had been before. I looked at him with a raised brow, not really wanting him to set off his dad’s irritation, or anything. “This is so boring!”

“Find a way to entertain yourself, Mason.” Kevin was sitting directly in front, of me, and surprisingly did not sound upset…at least, not yet. Given time, though, his mood would surely turn, for the worse.

“Yeah right, dad!” Mason’s voice dropped into a low whisper, as he continued, “we all know what happened the last time you said that.” Oh great…so much for reading dad’s journal…or for having hope of a peaceful trip.

“Mason! Don’t push it.” I had to say something, even if Kevin was showing no signs of being annoyed. If there’s any way to avoid tension and another argument, you should know I was going to try! Mason just looked at me, with defeat, and a boredom that matched mine. Has anyone ever come to the conclusion that road trips suck? Like…really…really suck! They’re long…tiring…boring…then you always get killer kinks in your neck and legs!

“We do need something, to entertain us.” Nick’s voice floated from the front passenger seat, as he looked over his shoulder. “Mason’s right…this is pretty boring.” His shoulders shrugged upwards, as he turned back around, in his seat. I don’t remember being on the road, being this boring. Maybe that was because my dad and Nick always kept me entertained…suddenly, I found myself missing that.

“We could just…talk…about something.” Howie was the next one, to look around, at everyone else. “There are a lot of stories, or whatever, that could be told.”

“Stories get boring, too, though.” Mason’s voice had a whine, to it, that was sure to start wearing on people’s nerves. I mean, I understand where he’s coming from, but Mason tends to get too whiney, about things. Ok, I get whiney, too…but not as much as he does! I cringed, hearing the sigh escape Kevin’s mouth, and I had a feeling that it wasn’t going to lead to anything good.

“Down…” He paused, to clear his throat, and then started back up, in a slow sing-song voice. I couldn’t help myself, as I leaned forward to look at him, with wrinkled brows. Boy was I off, thinking his sigh meant trouble! “Down by the bay…where the watermelons grow…back to my home…I dare not go…for if I do…my mother will say…”

“Have you ever seen a moose…kissin’ up on a goose? Down by the bay?” My eyes went wide, not believing that Kevin just started a song…and that Howie was now bobbing his head, as he took over, singing in that high voice, of his. “Down by the baaaaay, where the watermelons grooooow…back to my hooooome, I dare not gooooo. For if I dooooo, my mother will saaaaay…”

“…have you ever seen a cat, wearin’ ice ‘round his neck an’ a pimp style hat? Down by the bay?” AJ was, now, purposely doing a butch job, of rapping, as his lips pursed and one hand dramatically flew through the air. This was too much, for a kid to handle! What just happened, here? “Down by the bay. Where the watermelons grow. Back to my home. I dare not go. For if I do. My mother will say. Yo, Nick, hit it!”

“Have you ever seen a purple frog? Licking a yellow log? Down by the bay?” Despite the laugh, he was trying to hold back, Nick brought out that Anywhere For You kind of romantic singing…yeah, I know…weird! “Down by the baaay…where the watermelons grooow…back to my hooome…I dare not gooo…for if I dooo…my mother will saaay…”

“Wait….who’s gonna do Bri’s verse?” Dropping his voice, to a whisper, AJ glanced at the other guys, as he pulled off toward a rest stop. My thoughts drifted, for a moment, thinking back to my earlier childhood. I could remember singing this song, with them, a few times, out on tour. No wonder this all seemed so familiar, they always sang the same verses, in the same order…I remember it now, but what was my dad’s verse?

“Have you ever seen a church mouse…” My voice was soft, and my eyes were closed, at first, as I tried to remember. What was the next part? Come on! This is a part of my dad, I have to remember it!

“That’s it, little B!” A smile formed over my lips, as AJ’s voice rang clear, through my memories. “Rock it, boy! And don’t forget the knee!” My smile grew bigger, as the memories fit together.

“…quoting the Bible, while building a church house…DOWN BY THE BAY!” I let my voice hit full volume, as I clenched my fists and brought my knee up, just like my dad. The memories were more vivid now, and I could practically see my dad giving me that goofy grin, of his, as I continued the verse. “Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow! Back to my home, I dare not go! For if I do, my mother will say…”

“Have you ever seen a whale, with a checkered nose an’ a polka dotted tail, down by the bay?” Kevin picked up the last, of the usual verses, as he turned to look at Mason, letting him know it would be his turn next. “Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow…back to my home, I dare not go. For if I do, my mother will say…”

“Uh…” Mason’s eyes darted from one person, to another, as he obviously tried to think of a verse. “…have you ever seen a dog…” His eyes met mine, and I saw a sudden light bulb go off, in his head, as he grinned. “…scaring the frog, that’s licking the log, down by the bay?”

“Nice, Mase!” I nodded, at him, with a grin. Our hands met in mid-air, for a high-five, just as AJ parked the van. He grinned at me, and I couldn’t help but grin back. Maybe the rest, of the trip, wouldn’t be so bad, after all.

“DOOOOOOOOOWN BYYYYYYYYY THEEEEEEEEEEE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!” The four adults didn’t do too bad with the harmony…taking into account that they were practically screaming. Yes…Kevin, too. Mason’s smile reached his eyes, as we all started to climb out of the van.

“Oh god, I’m getting so old!” Nick’s groaned, loudly, as he straightened up. The moans, and groans, from the adults, caused our group to get a few odd looks, from other people that were outside. At least it was nice out…maybe we would take a nice break, before stuffing ourselves back into that van.

“Oh stop your whining…you’re still the baby of the group! Well…not including the next generation.” Kevin slapped Nick’s shoulder, lightly, as everyone started making their way toward the building. I hadn’t put much thought into it, but I really did need to use the…yeah…you know.

“Are we getting food soon, or should we stock up from the vending machines?” I had to ask, since my stomach was growling, as everyone piled into the bathroom. I didn’t get an answer, as everyone took the traditional guy stance and I had to bite my lip, to keep from laughing, because of the loud groans coming from AJ and Nick.

“Ooooh yeaaaaah!” Nick’s head was leaning back and his eyes shut tightly. I shook my head trying to ignore the various sounds filling the room…they were distracting.

“Mmmmm! Sweet Jesus!” Hearing AJ’s voice made me shudder. I’m a guy too…but this was getting to the point of being disturbing. I mean, why do you gotta make noises while you do your business? I had to do this at the same time as my dad, more times than I could probably count, and I don’t recall him needing to groan and moan and……pray?

“Aaaaaaaaaaah!” Oh geez…there goes Howie. Next time, I will just hold it until after everyone else is done! Thank goodness everyone finished up and was filing out, within another couple minutes.

“Nick, why are you flinging your hands around in the air, like that? You look retarded.” Kevin had his brows raised, as we stepped back out into the sunlight. I have to admit, if you take time to sit back and really pay attention…this group can be seriously entertaining!

“Because the dryer thing didn’t dry my hands all the way. Duh.”

“Yo, Nick…that’s why you use the ‘dryer thing’ for more than like…two seconds.” I stepped aside as I saw AJ run up to jump on Nick’s back. “Now mush.”

“I’ll show you mush!” Now, I had to jump out of the way, as Nick started spinning around in circles. AJ’s arms gripped Nick’s neck as Nick tried to twirl faster. Here we are…in the middle of the parking lot…and these two are acting younger than me! Go figure. See? I told you…entertaining. Suddenly, I found myself frozen, thinking back to years past…again. What was with me today? Not that I was complaining, or anything…I was rather enjoying the sudden flow of memories.

I could picture a time…it seemed like I was around six, maybe…where Nick and my dad were trying to teach me the fine art, of basketball. The picture, in my mind, seemed fuzzy…yet clear, at the same time. On the edge, of the court, was a wooden bench, where I had sat down for a few minutes. I remember AJ running past me, screaming like some kind of crazy person that just escaped the mental hospital. I just sat there watching, and laughing, as AJ jumped onto my dad’s back…just like he had done to Nick only a few moments ago.

I started to walk slowly, behind the group, as I let my memories piece back together. Assuming my memories were accurate, I ran up to Nick, trying to get onto his back. His laugh filled the air, as he dropped to his knees, giving me the chance to climb up. The next thing I saw flash in my mind, was my dad and Nick twirling in circles, right next to each other…with me and AJ on their backs. When they finally stopped, we all fell to the ground laughing and unable to move because of the severe dizzy feeling.

That dizzy feeling penetrated my head, for only a moment, as I looked up to see AJ climb off Nick’s back. Both, of them, were stumbling and trying to re-gain their balance, as their laughter rang loud and clear. It was a sight to see…both the image before me, and the image in my head. My memory was now as clear as the scene before me, and I liked the feeling it gave me.

As my memories faded, into the back, of my mind…I realized something. How could I miss something so obvious? If I wanted to remember my dad and even my mom…I just had to pay attention to what was right in front of my eyes. Sure, they were all older now, but the guys had the same antics…the same goofy behaviors…the same habits, as they did all those years ago. Putting aside and forgetting all the problems, this group has had, they were the same guys.

Life has a funny way of giving you exactly what you need, without you even noticing it. Sometimes it feels like life is kicking you, right where it hurts, but if you step back and take a closer look…it’s really not as bad as you first thought. I’m starting to sound like Morgan here, but I’m seeing that it’s true. We have already covered that Nick isn’t as bad as I had thought, and that he really didn’t deserve my bad attitude, but I never really stopped to see that Nick is actually…exactly what I need. So much of him could help me remember my dad, if I only let it.

It’s not new years, but I’m making a resolution anyways. From now on…I’m going to stop, to look at the bigger picture…and allow myself to see the most obvious things that I have overlooked before. I will let myself see my parents, in the people around me.

Now that I think about it, maybe this will be one of those ‘easier said, than done’ things…but…all I can do, is try.
Chapter Sixty-Two by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
I'm really sorry the updates have been so spaced out. I'm about 4 months pregnant and have been SOOO sick! I'll try to get more out soon. So here is the next chapter. I'm sorry it's such a short one, but I'm hoping the content will make up for the length. *evil grin* Read, enjoy, and let me know what you think!
So the rest of the road trip went smoothly. We sang some more goofy songs, told jokes, and just messed around…it was amazing how at ease everyone was, now! Naturally, the moment we pulled into the driveway, I was practically attacked by Morgan…and Riley was instantly in AJ’s arms. The two of them were actually sitting on the steps, waiting for us…not that we were too surprised by that, either. We had gotten back pretty late, that night, so we unloaded the van and pretty much just passed out.

The next morning Mason started packing up, to move back with Kevin. I was kind of sad that he was leaving, I’d miss having him around all the time, but I was happy for him at the same time. Besides, it’s not like he was moving out of the state or anything, and he really did need to be with his dad. When I helped him carry stuff out to Kevin’s car, I gave him a half hug and told him that I’d see him at school.

Then Morgan and I raced up to my room (of course I let her win) to catch up on everything that had been going on during the week. Naturally, I let her talk about her break first, but as usual, it consisted mainly of studying. After she rambled for a while about some history paper, that I undoubtedly forgot all about, we started going over the week at the farm. Stretching out on my bed, we stared at the ceiling, as I replayed the events to her.

“So, Kevin really wasn’t a drug addict back then? And AJ blaming Kevin for getting him into drugs wasn’t even entirely accurate?” Rolling to her side, she propped up on one elbow, with the most adorable confused look on her face.

“That’s what I’m saying. Evidently, the only thing Kevin ever gave AJ, was some antidepressant pills. AJ realized how good the pills made him feel, especially being mixed with the Jack, and so he started getting into other stuff. I guess from AJ’s view, that meant Kevin was to blame.” I watched Morgan as she twisted her lip, in thought. Was she actually wearing lip gloss? Since when does Morgan…oh yeah…she’s a cheerleader now…a lot of things have changed.

“It’s pretty normal for addicts to pass the blame. AJ probably decided it was Kevin’s fault a long time ago…back in the deepest part of his addiction, or maybe when he started rehab…somewhere along the line, the excuse became the truth. You know?” Reaching up, I brushed a stray curl off her cheek, pushing it behind her ear. My eyes were locked with hers, as I thought about her theory. It was quite possible. When you tell yourself something long enough, you start to believe it. In AJ’s case, he would have had years for the half truth to become a full truth, in his mind.

“You’re probably right, Morgan. I don’t completely understand why Kevin fell into it, though.”

“Some things aren’t meant for us to understand.” Her shoulder shrugged, as my hand rested on the side of her neck. There was something in her eyes…something that I didn’t recognize, and it was actually making my heart speed up, just a little. Why? I’ve got no idea. Just lying there, with only inches between her body and mine, I kept staring into her eyes.

My mind was wondering. It was wondering in places that it really shouldn’t go. Morgan was my best friend, for pete sake! Ever since she walked into school that day, with the makeover, my mind has been wondering big time! It doesn’t make sense. She is still the same smart, pretty, funny, caring, amazing, great, honest, trustworthy, sweet…holy crap! I’m starting to sound like I have a crush on my best friend! That’s not even possible…is it?!? It sounds like some kind of cliché romance movie.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right on that point.” I just gave her a grin as I took my hand from her neck and sat up. Reaching into the small refrigerator, I pulled out a can of soda, for each of us. “Coke or Root Beer today Morgs?”

“Hmm. I think…Root Beer. Thanks, Bay.” Popping the can open, I handed it to her with a smile. There was a slight blush lingering on her cheeks, and I couldn’t figure out what had caused it, this time. Sure I make her blush a lot, but I usually knew what I did to turn her cheeks pink.

“Anything for you Morgs, you know that.” I popped my own can open, as I sat back on the bed and gave her a grin. Just for the record…that’s not a lie either…I really would do anything for my best friends…especially her! Besides, she really deserved to be treated well, and I tried to always be the best friend that I could. We sat in silence for a few minutes, just drinking our sodas.

“So the big game is next Friday.” Morgan’s voice broke the silence, and nearly made me jump. She was fiddling with the tab on her soda can, as she tilted her head. “It’s going to be a lot of fun…plus that means next week is Spirit Week.”

“Oh yeah!” A smile crept onto my lips. Spirit Week is one of high school’s highlights! “I’m going all out for it, too. Cross dress day will be priceless! Are you going to help your best friend with the makeup? I already bought a long blonde wig, to wear!” My smile grew even bigger, the more I thought about it…the whole week was going to be a ton of fun!

“Are you seriously taking it that far, Bay?” Her giggle floated into my ears, and when I looked at her, there was a smile on her lips. Admittedly, that smile is one of the prettiest things about Morgan. She has those plump lips that guys always like and when she smiles, her cheeks get these little dimples in them. “I was going to wear a pair of your baggy jeans that day. I wonder if I can do the ‘guy walk’.”

“Yeah, I’m going all out. Come on, Morgs, you know me…this is the kind of thing I have fun with. And you always borrow my clothes anyways, so have at it…it’s not like I’ll tell you ‘no’.” Rolling my eyes, I set our sodas on the bedside table, before lying back down. Morgan followed suit, laying beside me, and resting her head on my arm. “So, you’ll do my make up? I’m afraid I’ll poke my eye out with that mascara wand thing.”

“You are truly one of a kind, Littrell.” I couldn’t help but laugh when her hand playfully hit my stomach. My fingers started to twirl one of her curls, as I pulled her closer to me. “But I suppose I better help, so you don’t hurt yourself.”

“That would be nice of you.” Smiling, I turned my head to look at her, just as she looked up at me. Our noses were only an inch apart, and by now my mind was really headed to uncharted territory.

“Well…um…that’s what…best friends…are for…right?” My eyes were glued to her lips, as her tongue slipped out to moisten them. Come on Baylee…snap out of it! But they looked so soft…and with that lip gloss…NO! Bad thoughts! BAD!

“Right.” It was now my tongue’s turn to slip out and wet my own lips. My heart was now racing, and my mind was screaming at me to BACK UP! So if I know I shouldn’t do this…why were my lips inching closer to hers? As my eyes started closing, I heard my brain screaming louder, but it didn’t seem like my body was listening. Heck, I knew it wasn’t listening! Was I really going to kiss my best friend?

“B…Bay…lee…” Just a whisper, her voice struggled to be heard. Was it a protest? Was it out of confusion or shock? Was her brain yelling at her, like mine was yelling at me? And when did my fingers slip into her hair?!? I’m a goner. There’s no stopping it now! My hand was already gently pulling her face toward mine…my eyes were completely closed, now…my heart was pounding against my ribcage…butterflies were filling my stomach…then it happened. Connection. Her lips were on mine…mine on hers…I was really kissing my best friend!
Chapter Sixty-Three by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Hey guys. Sorry it's been so long, and sorry it's another shorter chapter. I'm trying to get myself back to writing more regularly, so wish me luck, LOL. Thank you all so much for sticking with the story and for all your reviews. I will be responding to the great reviews from the last chapter, tomorrow! I love you guys!
Connection. Her lips were on mine…mine on hers…I was really kissing my best friend! Her lips felt as soft as they looked, and the kiss matched that softness. It was sweet and slow…almost…romantic? Her head was now lying back on the pillow as I hovered over her, our lips still in time with each other and my fingers tangled in her hair. My brain had ceased its objection toward the kiss…mainly because my brain had completely stopped functioning, all together. Was that normal?

“WHOA! Hot damn, Bay LEE!” Neither of us had heard the knock, nor had we noticed the door opening, but AJ’s voice sure snapped us back to reality. I nearly jumped out of my skin and immediately flew off the bed, looking from him, to Morgan’s stunned face, then back to him.

“JayJay…hey…uh…we were…just…um…” Seriously. How embarrassing was this? Like the after effects of kissing Morgan wasn’t going to be awkward enough, without AJ’s help! I could feel the blush slowly burning up my cheeks as I fumbled for some kind of explanation for what he had just walked in on. Too bad it was pretty self explanatory. It’s not like we were practicing for a play, or something, and AJ surely knew that.

“Yeah…” If I could slap the smirk off his face, and get away with it…I totally would, right now! “…having a total make out session…that’s what you were doing! You better ask Nick if he can spare a condom.” My jaw hit the floor and I knew Morgan had to be just as red as I was. We just kissed…that’s it…we weren’t even old enough for…well…you know.

“AJ! Shut up man!” Oh yeah…there was a brilliant response! Sometimes I can be so lame. I quickly walked over and tried shoving him out of my room, but naturally I wasn’t getting very far with my efforts. Just as my luck would have it, Nick came walking up and all I could do was groan. I took a quick glance at Morgan, who was now sitting up, hugging my pillow with her head ducked and a bright red flush covering her cheeks. How embarrassing could this get?

“Yo, Nick! You’ll never guess what I just walked in on!” Once again, I tried shoving AJ out the door, attempting to close it at the same time. But now, Nick had stepped into the room, too, and was accessing the situation.

“Uh…the two kids talking?” Nick had that typical confused look, of his, as AJ slung an arm over his shoulders. That grin was still plastered on his face and it was starting to dig under my skin like crazy.

“Come on, AJ….just drop it, ok?”

“Bay Bay here was half on top of Morgan and their lips were locked as tight as a bank vault!”

“It wasn’t like that! Get out of my room!” I was to the point of being desperate, to get rid of them. Nick’s expression now matched AJ’s and this was getting worse. Why do adults have to embarrass us kids like this, anyways?!? It’s like they get some kind of natural high from it, or something.

“Whoa….wait…these two? Kissing?” Another groan escaped from my throat and my brows wrinkled in the center as Nick now let his gaze dart between me and Morgan. “Well I’ll be damned!” If I wasn’t mistaken, Nick seemed to look very pleased about the events.

“Baylee and Morgan…sittin’ in a tree…”

“Oh real mature AJ! Please…just go!” This time, my efforts proved fruitful as both men turned to walk back down the hallway. The embarrassment wasn’t quite over because after Nick yelled that food was ready, they both continued the childish song…singing it at the top of their lungs. Slamming the door shut did the trick of blocking their voices, and I slowly turned to face her, shoving my hands into my pockets.

“They uh…they’ll never…let us live this down…huh?” Her voice was hardly above a whisper and her gaze was fixed on her fidgeting hands. This was, by far, the most embarrassing moment of my life, but I felt worse for Morgan. She was so sensitive to this kind of thing and her feelings were so easily hurt.

“You know them as well as I do, Morgs.” I moved over to sit beside her, the air seemed so tense…so awkward…so…weird. “I’m sorry. You uh…you really don’t…have to stay…if you don’t want to. Eating with them…is going to be…embarrassing and…probably near unbearable.”

“No. It’s ok. After all these years…I have learned to ignore them…sort of. If I leave…you know it will just…make it worse. We are still best friends, right? It’s better to just…face the music now…instead of putting it off.” Here I was…wanting to run as far away as I could, and hide for…a few years…but she was being all rational, ready to face the problem head on. I guess girls do mature faster than boys…well…at least Morgan does.

“Alright. Only if you’re sure. I mean…they’re going to be…uh…”

“Relentless. And persistent.” Her head bobbed with a slight nod, as she let out a breath and stood up, rubbing her hands down her jeans. She still hadn’t looked at me. Yeah. This was definitely going to make everything awkward for, at least, a few days…maybe weeks…but hopefully not forever.

“Yeah. That.” Okay, I sounded pathetic. It was just a kiss, for pete sake. Best friends always kiss in the movies and it doesn’t destroy…aw man…it doesn’t wreck the friendship because the friends end up together in those movies! To say I was mentally slapping myself would be the understatement of the year. I had made a bad move. A very very bad move!

“Come on, Bay. We should go down there. Otherwise they will think we’re…”

“...kissing….again.” My mind was drifting, as I stood up, back to those movies. Was it really possible that Morgan and I would…ever…? Nah. We were just best friends. That’s all we would ever be. Not that, I suppose, dating her would be that bad, really. I mean, she is a great person…loving, sweet, caring, smart, pretty, talented, funny…oh no! Was I really thinking…I have got to stop these thoughts!

“Although…they are going to think that every time we are alone, now.” Following her down the stairs, I watched her curls bounce, remembering how soft they felt, wrapped around my fingers. And…now I was mentally telling myself to “shut up”. Where were all these thoughts suddenly coming from? Ans why won’t they go away?

“Great. Just what we need. A group of spies, trying to catch us making out.”

“We after that, I don’t blame them. You were totally sucking my face like a Hoover vac.” Her comment and following giggle caught me off guard, as we entered the dinning room to see Nick, AJ and Riley waiting for us.

“So that’s how it’s gonna go down, huh Morgs? Well as least I don’t kiss like a fish!” I stuck my tongue out at her, just as we took our seats. I could feel my cheeks starting to heat up again, and I was sure hers were too. Teasing each other about the kiss, to avoid them embarrassing us more, was a good strategy…but would it work?

“From what I saw, you were both pretty equal in the face sucking department.” AJ chuckled, only to be shut up with an elbow in the side, from Riley. HA! At least she would keep AJ in line. That meant we only had to deal with Nick’s comments…not that I was looking forward to it.

“So…” Nick’s smirk faded, and he was looking between us, with a serious look etched on his face. “Are you two going to start dating, or what? You can’t tell me that after you two finally kiss…that you’re going to just play it off and stay friends…are you?”

“Nicky’s got a point. We’ve had bets about this kiss for the last four years.”

“You men are ridiculous. Leave the poor kids alone and eat your dinner. Placing bets on when kids are going to kiss? That’s just childish.” Riley plopped some potatoes on AJ’s plate before passing me the bowl. “Eat.”

I was under the very wrong assumption that my life was getting back to some form of normalcy. After the road trip, things were looking great. Now I was just all confused about a different matter. Great. My life should be a sitcom…it has enough drama in it.

Why would they place bets on when Morgan and I would kiss? Were the movies right…that a guy and a girl really can’t remain best friends? That they always hook up, at some point? How did I feel about the idea of getting with her anyways? And what about Allison? I couldn’t just ditch her, because of one kiss I had with Morgan. Besides, I didn’t even know what Morgan thought of the kiss. Maybe she hated it. Maybe she thought it was sloppy or gross! She might even think I’m the worst kisser ever. It’s not like she really liked me more than a friend anyways, right?
Chapter Sixty-Four by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Here we go again...you know I couldn't go too long without some serious shit goin on...but, this is only the beginning. I have the next chapter in my head, so it shouldn't be too long before you see it. Thanks for stickin with me and Bay. i hope you enjoy!
It was a few days later before I got around to opening my e-mail and I knew it was going to take me forever to get through it all. To my surprise, Morgan and I had continued on without a very high level of awkwardness. At first it was a little weird, but we pretty much fell right back into our best friend routine, like the kiss was just something that best friends do. Maybe it is normal for best friends to have one kiss.

It was mid afternoon and my mind kept wandering as I skimmed through my mail. When my eyes landed on one from Allison, I quickly opened it up. I had meant to call her as soon as we got back, but I just didn’t get to it. Now I felt bad that I hadn’t made sure to make time for it.

Baylee,

I’m sorry to do this through an e-mail, like this. But I couldn’t get a hold of you on your cell, and it was really important for me to explain.


Uh oh. This wasn’t sounding good. Darn my phone for not getting signal out in the middle of nowhere, on the family farm! You’d think that, with today’s technology, there wouldn’t be an inch on earth that didn’t get cell phone signal. We have laptops that are paper thin and can work just by voice command or touch…cell phones that are tiny and do just about everything, except read your mind…TVs that follow voice command and automatically record your regularly viewed programs, without you having to do a single thing…yet they can’t perfect cell and internet signals to reach everywhere? Go figure.

Dad just got re-stationed and I’ll be leaving for the navy base in North Carolina before the end of break. I have to transfer schools and every thing. I’m really sorry Baylee. We were just getting to know each other so well and everything.

Wait a tick! Re-stationed? How did I not know Allison was a military brat? I knew she had only been in our school a year and a half or something like that, but had no idea that was the reason why. Why didn’t she mention that? I mean, it seems like one of those things you would tell someone! Logic tells me it would be one of the FIRST things you’d share…“Oh, by the way, my dad is in the Navy and I may pick up to move without much notice, if any.” Geesh!

I’m hoping we can keep in touch, and still be friends. You’re a great guy Baylee and I really enjoyed hanging out with you. I really wish we could have said ‘good-bye’ properly…I’m going to miss you. But, I’ll talk to you soon, ok?

-Allison


Well isn’t that about a kick in the head? I wasn’t even in the mood to go through any other e-mails, now. Turning off the computer and setting it aside, I leaned back against the headboard and let out a long sigh. I really shouldn’t be bothered, much, since we weren’t in any kind of committed relationship or anything. Thinking for a moment…I realized something…other than the short notice, of it all…I wasn’t all that upset…actually…I wasn’t upset at all. Was that a good thing? It seems like I should be at least slightly upset. We weren’t in anything serious, but it’s still a break up…and I wasn’t the one doing the breaking up.

Tomorrow it was back to school, and I’m totally ready for spirit week. I wonder if it will seem different without Allison there. Speaking of different…would anyone be able to tell that something happened between me and Morgan? Would Morgan tell the other cheerleaders? No…she wasn’t the ‘kiss and tell’ type…at least I don’t think she is.

It was only one in the afternoon and I was already getting tired from how much my mind was spinning. It seems like my brain can’t stay on one thing for very long and sometimes it gives me a headache. I have to admit that things have been a little easier since the guys started getting along more. Granted there have been an argument or two since we’ve been back, but nothing compared to what it used to be. Mason was home with his dad and he told me last night, on the phone, that things were going great. He said that Kevin was spending a ton of time with him and that he felt like they were bonding again. That made me feel really good…Mason needed his dad. And, whether or not he would openly admit it…Kevin needed his son.

Listen to me. I’m starting to sound like Morgan, with all her psychological mumbo jumbo. Have I ever mentioned that sometimes I think I spend a little too much time…

I found myself yawning and dozing off, to sleep, before even finishing the thought. My eyes drifted shut as my thoughts seemed to dissipate. There was always so much on my mind, that the clearing of my thoughts and the sweet peace of slumber was always welcomed.

“Nick! Nick! My dad’s back!” I saw myself running through a dark hotel room, in to jump up on a large bed that held a large sleeping form. “I saw him! He’s really here!” My voice was squeaky and high, my body was small, but my curls looked about the same.

“Huh? What?” Rubbing his eyes, Nick sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. A long groan escaped his lips as my childhood body jumped up and down beside him. “What are you talking about BayBay?”

“My dad! He’s back…he’s really back! I woke up and I saw him…he’s here…somewhere! You gotta help me find him!” Jumping from the bed, my small feet hit the floor with surprisingly loud thumps as I ran back into the main section of the hotel suite. I saw my own hands, much smaller than they really are, opening the closet door. “I know he’s here!” Searching through the closet, my eyes saw nothing. After slamming the door shut, I ran to the bathroom…nothing.

“Bay…Bay, he’s not…” Nick’s firm, yet gentle, hands rested on my shoulders. He shook me just slightly, bringing my eyes up to his. “Baylee…he’s not here buddy…he’s gone…remember?” My body stiffened, as I looked up to see the tears forming in the corners of his eyes. “I’m sorry Baylee…but…he’s not coming back.”


Gasping, my eyes flew open, sweat covering my entire body. Slowly my eyes moved down to my hands…they were back to their normal size…and so was the rest of my body. After looking myself over, I started to let my eyes wander around the room. I was in my usual bed…at home…there was no hotel suite.

“It was just a dream.” I let out a shaky breath, in a poor attempt to slow my heart down, from its pounding pace. Just as I was about to close my eyes again, I saw him. Shooting straight up, in the bed, my eyes flew open wider than I think they ever have. My head whipped from side, to side, trying to see the face that I could swear was just staring right back, at me. I licked my lips that had gone dry and I swallowed hard, then I saw something from the corner of my eyes. That was it. I freaked.

“NIIIIIIIIIICK!” Flying out of my bed, my feet carried me through the house faster than I thought imaginable. “NIIIIIIIICK NICK!” My curls fell in my eyes as I ran down the stairs, nearly falling over when I turned the corner.

“Baylee? What’s wrong? What happened?” He sprinted out of the office, a concerned look on his face as he hurried toward me. I nearly knocked him over when I threw myself into his arms, which I knew surprised him since his hands went up, like he was being arrested.

“You….dream….dad….” I hadn’t started crying, but I could feel myself trying to choke them down. It wasn’t just the dream, or swearing I saw my dad in the same room, but it was the flood of memories that were invading my mind now.

For so many years, I learned how to push away the pain I had felt when I lost my parents. Yes, I miss them. Yes, I think about them. But the pain…the pain, I learned to tune out and ignore…for the most part. I didn’t let it effect me as badly as it used to, even though it threatened to surface fairly often, I had become pretty good at pushing it away. At this very moment, the pain was swelling in my chest and this time…it wasn’t going away.

“Shhh. Calm down, Bay.” I felt his arms wrap around me and his hands start rubbing my back, in an attempt to soothe me. There was such a wild mix of emotions, surging through me, that I wanted to hug him…push him away…punch a wall…throw something…cry…scream…and forget everything…all at the same time. “Talk to me, buddy. Let it out. It’s okay.” That caring tone he had in my dream…or flashback…whatever it was…was in his voice now. He was back to the role of caring and loving friend.

“NO! IT’S NOT OKAY! I…AM…NOT…OKAY!” My teeth ground together while my hands shoved him away. From that point, I lost all control of everything…my emotions…my words…my mind…my heart. Everything flew out of me, all at once, making my head spin. Years of trying to ignore it had finally come to this…an explosion.
Chapter Sixty-Five by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Lillian Irene is now a month old and things are finally settling down. So, I'm hoping to have another chapter up next week. Feel free to harass me, if I don't. LOL. My Twitter screen name is the same, so feel free to bug me there, if you want to. Anyways...I hope you enjoy the chapter...and as always, THANK YOU all for keeping up with the story and leaving me feedback. *MUAH*
“I’m everything BUT ok!” I couldn’t keep my voice down, even if I had wanted to. All control, of my own body, had gone out the window, as my emotions went haywire. Any slight bit of sanity that I had left had snapped, and I was completely losing it. “How can you say that I’m ok? Huh? That I’ll ever be ok?!? You don’t even know what this is like Nick! You have no idea!”

“I know that it hurts, Bay.” His voice was even…calm…caring. Stepping back a little, he watched me closely, his eyes following my every step as I started pacing up and down the hallway.

“You don’t know anything! You didn’t lose your parents! You made the choice to push them away! You didn’t want your parents…but I did want mine! How could you possibly even begin to know how I feel, or what I’m going through? Huh? Huh?!?” Now I was just getting harsh. Nick didn’t deserve it, and deep inside, I knew that. I also knew that I would regret most of the words that were effortlessly spilling from my mouth, right now. Despite what I knew, though…I was powerless to stop it…I had no control. “Don’t even think that you know how I feel…because you DON’T!”

“Then tell me. Tell me how you feel, Baylee.” Why was his voice still so calm? Why wasn’t he screaming at me, for the things I just said? Why wasn’t he sending me to my room with some sort of punishment, for talking to him, like that? He wasn’t even getting defensive, when he should have been. “Explain it. Every bit of it. Let it all out.” That might not have been the best thing for him to say…because that’s exactly what I did.

“Explain? You want me to explain how I feel? Fine. I’ll explain!” My voice was at top notch, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the neighbors could hear. With hands flying in every direction and my anger skyrocketing, I let him have it. “I feel like God hates me! I just don’t understand…what I did wrong! What did I do that was so…bad…that I deserved to have them ripped away from me? Why would he take them from me?!?”

Nick stayed silent, but continued to watch me pace. His face would often twitch, with a painful expression, like someone was punching him in the stomach. I couldn’t quite understand why he looked so hurt by my ranting, but it was as if he really DID feel the pain that dripped from my voice, with every word.

“They left me! My mom could have fought! She could have stayed! But she didn’t! She left me! Why? Huh? Why didn’t she love me enough…to fight…to stay…to be with me? Why didn’t she get better?!? Wasn’t I a good enough son?!?” I had never really put my feelings or pain into words…but now that I was…it seemed to hurt even worse. Each sentence seemed like a hot knife, cutting me apart. “How could they do this, to me?!?”

When I paused, in the middle of the floor, to look at Nick, I was surprised to see silent tears streaking his cheeks. Why was he crying? I wasn’t even crying…but I was way too angry to cry. My blood was nearing the boiling point and my fists were clenching tighter with every word…so tight that my nails were starting to cause a searing pain in my palms.

“I want, so bad, to hate all of them! To hate God for taking them…and my parents for leaving me! And I hate myself for not stopping them! I should have whined more…made dad stay! If I just did…somethinganything…I could have stopped it all from even happening! Why didn’t I stop it, from happening?!? Why didn’t God stop it? Ugh! Just a few moments…is all it would have took…but did I stop dad from leaving? Huh? Did I?!? NO! I didn’t! He left…and got mom…and then…then…that stupid truck driver…”

With a loud growl of frustration, I picked up a vase, from the small oak table and hurled it against the wall, with every ounce of strength that was in me. I couldn’t tell you what the purpose of throwing it was…because it really didn’t do much to make me feel better, and I’d likely be grounded for it. Honestly, though, I was willing to do just about anything, to try getting the pain out of me…no matter what the consequences were. Nick…didn’t move.

“I can’t do this without them! I just can’t! I need them…but they’re not here! They aren’t here to see me play ball…or get dressed up for spirit week…or to meet my best friends…or help me with my homework…or help me decide which electives to take for school next year…or to help me learn my Spanish! They’re supposed to help me! They’re supposed to be here! But they left me! They LEFT!”

This time, it was a picture frame that hit the wall, shattering onto the carpet. The heat in my cheeks was hotter than ever and my body was starting to feel weak. Without any warning, the tears burst from within me, streaming down my cheeks faster than I thought possible. My knees buckled and I collapsed there, in the middle of the hallway. Nick was instantly kneeling beside me, his arms engulfing me, into that tender embrace he used to give me, when I was a small child.

“Why…didn’t they want…to stay…with me?” I found it hard to talk through my clenched teeth, as I gasped for breath. My heart was aching…my head was pounding…my hands were shaking…and my eyes were stinging, as I fell apart in his arms. “How…come…God…didn’t want…me to…have…them? Why didn’t…they…love me…enough…to stay? What…did I do…wrong…Nick?”

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Baylee. This isn’t your fault.” His arms were tight around me and he began to sway slightly, in an effort to soothe me, but it was useless. “Your mom and dad loved you…more than anything…and they never would have chosen to leave you. I don’t know why God took them…but it’s not because you were bad or did anything wrong.”

“I feel…so…horrible…like I could…have done…something!” I was struggling hard, to breathe, as the tears continued to flow, like a damn had broken free. “I…feel like…it’s all…my fault!”

“I feel the same way…but it’s not. We couldn’t have done anything…we didn’t know. It has taken me years to try convincing myself that I couldn’t have changed it…and sometimes…I still don’t believe it. It’s hard. It sucks. I know. But you can’t blame yourself Bay…you just can’t. It will eat you away, if you do.” I felt his hands rubbing my back as his chin rested atop my head. He was trying to help, the best he knew how, and make me feel better…but it wasn’t working.

“It is my fault! It really is!” Now my shoulders were beginning to jerk as my sobs got chopped up by the hiccups that had set in. I was to blame, and he couldn’t convince me otherwise. My heart twisted with more pain, as I told myself that everything all fell back on my shoulders.

“Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell! You listen to me!” Suddenly, I was shifted around, to face the older blond. His eyes were filled with so much mixed emotion, that…for once…he wasn’t trying to hide. “You can NOT blame yourself! You were a little boy, Bay! There was absolutely nothing you could have done! I know it’s hard to let go of that feeling…but you have to. You didn’t know the accident would happen. Please, Bay…you have got to believe me. If there is only one thing, that I tell you, that you ever listen to…this has to be it.”

My heart and mind conflicted with each other, as part of me yelled that Nick was right and the other half screamed that he didn’t know anything. I wanted to get up and run away…get as far from him as I could, but my body wouldn’t move. The tears wouldn’t stop, and neither would the hiccups. I was nothing but one hot mess.
Chapter Sixty-Six by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
The chapter is a little short, but I really think it is something that has been long awaited, and I hope you all like how it came out!
There, in the middle of the hallway, I remained in Nick’s arms, shaking from the combination of sobs and hiccups. The tears were hot on my cheeks and my head was spinning, like a top. It was like I had hopped on a time machine and traveled back to the past…where I was nothing more than a broken little boy. Now…I was still just as broken, but I was much older.

Nick’s voice was soft, as his hand brushed over my hair, “that’s it BayBay…it’s good to let it out. You’ve held it in, for far too long.” He swayed, slightly, back and forth, his arms still securely around me. I can barely remember the last time I was in his arms, like this…where I actually needed to be there…I needed his touch…his comfort…his strength.

“I guess…I’m…probably…grounded…for breaking the…stuff…huh?” I couldn’t stop the sniffing, the hiccups, the tears, or the pain. All I wanted, was to forget it all again. But how could I do that, now that it had all surfaced?

“No. But you will need to clean up the mess.” Pulling away, just enough to look at me, he tilted his head. Once again, his fingers brushed aside my curls, in the most caring manner.

“I thought…it was supposed to get better, Nick.” I adverted my eyes, slightly embarrassed that I had broken down and cried like a baby, but there had been no fighting it. “Isn’t the pain supposed to go away?!? It just hides.”

“It will never completely go away. There will always be a place, in your heart, that hurts for them. Sometimes it will seem like the pain has disappeared, but it always comes back.” A soft sigh escaped him, as we moved apart. We now sat a few feet from each other and I hugged my knees. “I know how you feel Baylee…I understand…”

“Wait…no…no you don’t understand! Why do you keep claiming that you know how I feel…when you don’t?! You don’t know the first thing about how I feel!” And we go from bad…to worse…my temper flaring up, once again. I didn’t mean to get angry…I didn’t even want to fight with him…the last thing I wanted, was to be yelling again, but I was now on me feet, screaming down at him. “Stop pretending you know, Nick! You…don’t…know…anything…about…how…I…feel! I lost my parents! You didn’t…so you don’t understand!”

“If you want to get technical…you’re right…I don’t.” Something flashed in his eyes as he stood up, to peer down at me. His expression was no longer soft and caring…it looked like he was hurt and offended. Crossing his arms, he locked eyes with me…and that’s when it really started. “You know what I DO know? …what I DO understand? I understand how it feels to lose my very best friend, unexpectedly. I DO understand…how it feels to get to the hospital…and have to tell my 9 year old, little buddy…that his dad is dead…when I haven’t even had the time to process the news, myself! I know how it feels…to explain, to you…not once…not twice…not even three times…but FOUR TIMES…that your dad wasn’t going to be coming back, for you…because you kept forgetting that he was gone! I know how it feels…to watch your heart break…over…and over again…because of the words I was telling you! And my heart ached…and shattered…every…single…time!”

“But…” I tried to interrupt, but he wouldn’t let me. He continued to ramble…I guess he had a lot of bottled up emotions, too. All this time, I accused him of not understanding, but I never took the time to really look at his side of things.

“I know how it feels…to hold a crumpled, mess of a broken young boy…in my arms…through many sleepless nights…and the pain of not being able to make anything better for you! I understand…what it’s like…to try being the solid foundation you needed…when I couldn’t even keep my own damn emotions together! Then to have you beg me…to let you come live with me…because you had lost hope of your mom making it through…yeah…I know how that feels too! I was so angry at your family…for not being there for you, like they should have been…for not being the strength you needed…for not keeping your hopes high, that she would pull through. I know how it feels…to be the only one who could bring a smile to your face…only to have it fade away, moments later!”

“Nick…I…”

“No. You said I don’t understand the pain you feel…and maybe I don’t know what it’s like to lose my parents, traumatically, like you have…but I do know and I do understand the pain! I still lie awake, at night…wondering how the hell I can make everything okay, for you…how I can take away the pain you have in your heart and help you heal…I wrack my brain, constantly, trying to figure out if being your guardian was the best thing for you, or if I’ve just made everything worse.” I could feel a sharp pain, in my chest, as I listened to his angered rant. It was an odd type of anger in his voice though…he didn’t sound mad at me…but maybe the situation.

“I didn’t know…I…” Had he purposely kept his feelings from me? I could see the pain in his eyes, clearer than ever, and I felt bad for not knowing how badly he had been affected. I selfishly thought that he could never understand, since they were my parents, and not his. All the tears I had seen him shed…and I never stopped to think about his heart and how he felt.

“You’re right…you didn’t…because you weren’t supposed to. I am supposed to be the strong one…the one to keep everything together…the one that makes sure you make it out of this okay…the solid rock that you can lean on, when you need it. I’m not supposed to be weak.” His cheeks were long past being streaked, with tears. If it was possible to hear someone’s heart break…I knew I was hearing Nick’s crumble into a million pieces, right at that moment.

“You don’t have to be strong…all the time.” In a twisted turn of events, it was now my arms wrapping around Nick. For the first time…I was now the one that needed to be strong…it was my turn to offer comfort. I wasn’t used to this, but in a strange way, it felt good…almost like I was repaying him for a very small portion of all that he’s done, for me, over the years.

“Yes. I do. I can’t let Brian down…I can’t…let…you down.” All these years, he’s been worried about letting me down? Sure…I give the guy a hard time…but he’s never…

“Nick…you’ve never let me down. I know…that sometimes…it might seem that I don’t appreciate what you do, for me…but…” I let out a long sigh. This was the moment of truth…the one phrase that would put everything in perspective…a confession that could, and would, change everything between us…something that should have been said ages, upon ages ago. “…I push you away…and give you such a hard time because…I’m afraid that…that if I let us get too close…you’ll replace my dad and I’ll forget him.”

There…I said it. The truth was that I was afraid. All this time, I was worried about letting myself replace my dad. Let’s face it…Nick was awesome and he had always been there for me…we used to be inseparable. But now, I was just afraid of the day I’d accidentally call him ‘dad’.
End Notes:
Baylee was nominated for the Felix Awards again, this year! For Best Drama...AND for Best Series!!! A HUGE thank you, to those that nominated and/or voted! It's an incredible honor!
Epilogue by alota_cookin
Author's Notes:
Now you guys know why this has been taking me so long to post! I'm having a very hard time, letting go, over here!
Baylee took over and insisted it was time, though.
But I'm going to be working more on LATU...plus there are more stories planned for the series, so this isn't the end of Baylee.
The emotions that spilled out last night, in the hallway, drastically changed my outlook on the situation that God had put me in. It was time for me to grow up and stop being a selfish, naïve child. All this time, I couldn’t even stop, to look at the bigger picture, and realize how selfish I was being. Morgan has called me a selfish brat on occasion, but I always just blew it off. Go figure, the girl was right! Is she really always right?

After heading to my room and crawling into bed, I did some serious soul searching over night. I actually prayed…talked to my dad…and stayed up most of the night just thinking. I had never seen Nick break down, like that, and it sent a completely new type of pain, crashing through me. Now I understood how he had felt all those times of holding me, while I broke down. He had struggled to stay strong, so he could help me cope, which in turn just caused him even more pain.

When they say that you should put yourself in someone else’s shoes, before judging them…boy do they know what they are talking about! As many times as I have said that I was going to try harder to get along with Nick, I kept judging him by thinking that he couldn’t relate to me…that he didn’t understand…that there was no way he could know how I felt. He stood there, countless times, while I yelled at him about no getting it, and all along, he really did know my pain…just on a slightly different level…but just as extreme and just as real.

Now, more than ever, I could hear my father’s voice, in the back of my head. It almost seemed like he was right there with me, crossing his arms and staring right at me. “Stop dwelling on the past and things you can’t change, Baylee. Live life, for tomorrow, not yesterday. Work towards your future and make all of us proud. Every one, of us, believe in you.” As usual, my dad was right, too. My future wouldn’t wait around forever, while I kept having an attitude over things I can’t even change.

It was time to put the past where it belonged, behind me. I’d carry the sweet memory, of my parents, along with me; but it was time to move forward on the journey to my dreams. Suddenly, as if hitting a brick wall, I knew what that future was. I had figured out what I wanted to be, and I knew it would be amazing…better than amazing!

“Thanks dad. I love you.” I could feel his smile and love consume me. My dad was proud. Just one night, learning an intensely valuable lesson, had made my dad proud, of me. Well there was more to come! “And…I’ll never forget you.”

With a smile on my face and a new outlook on my life, and future…I drifted to sleep. Last night was the end, of a chapter, in my life. It was a bitter sweet end, but an end, none the less. When I woke up this morning, I made a vow, to myself…that it would be a fresh start, with a new and improved, more mature Baylee.

A new beginning…and I was excited! You haven’t heard the last, of me! I’m going to conquer the world, you watch and see. This next chapter of my life will be even bigger and better than the last! My journey is far from over…as a matter of fact…it’s just starting!

So I make my correction…at the beginning I told you that this was LIFE according to Baylee. Well…this was just freshman year, baby! There’s so much more to come!
End Notes:
Thank you ALL so very much for sticking with this story and all the amazing feedback I've gotten over these (almost) 3 years! We've seen a lot on our journey and you all have helped to make it very memorable. Everyone has been amazing.
Keep a look out for LATU updates and the next story in the series!