Don't Walk Away: Sequal to "I Got You" by openarmsgirl
Summary: It's been almost a year since Hailey left Nick; after finding him in bed with an arch enemy. After months of getting her life back on track and trying to move forward; can she find it in her heart to let Nick back in? Will her stalker finally leave her alone afer being apart from Nick for so long? Will the Forces of Nature bring everything back to full circle?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 40127 Read: 31631 Published: 07/13/08 Updated: 07/13/08

1. Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl

2. Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl

3. Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl

4. Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl

5. Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl

6. Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl

7. Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl

8. Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl

9. Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl

10. Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl

11. Chapter 11 by openarmsgirl

12. Chapter 12 by openarmsgirl

13. Chapter 13 by openarmsgirl

14. Chapter 14 by openarmsgirl

15. Chapter 15 by openarmsgirl

16. Chapter 16 by openarmsgirl

Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl
*There's no winners
And there's no losin’
All we got is what we are
One mistake and I got you breakin’
This time I think I've gone too far
Baby tell me why we don't speak
open your heart to me, love me tonight

Don't walk away, baby
You gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid
to say that it's me
Don't walk away
I'm sorry, I'm sorry

Why's it hard to, get inside you
Is it too late to make a start
You know I need you
Because I breathe you
And with every breath I fall apart

Baby tell me what's left of me
If your not right next to me
Baby I'd die

Don't walk away, baby
You gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid
to say that it's me
Don't walk away
I'm sorry

There's no reason to cry
When you're drowning yourself
In your tears tonight
Part of me dies
And you know it's not right, yeah
And you know it's not right

Don't walk away, baby
You gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid
To say that and stay
Don't walk away, baby
You gotta hear me say
I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid
To say that it's me
Don't walk away, I'm sorry, I'm sorry- "Don't walk Away" Nick Carter

“That was amazing Nick,” Leslie, his sister told him. Nick set his guitar down and lied back onto the couch, coughing.

“Do you want to put that on the next BSB album or a single of your own?” Aaron asked sitting next to his brother. Nick only shrugged something he did too often these days.

“Nick lunch is ready,” BJ called from the kitchen.

“Not hungry,” Nick’s voice was scratchy and barely audible.

“Nick you haven’t eaten a meal since we’ve been here a week,” Aaron said tugging on Nick’s arm.

“I’m going to go for a walk,” Nick stood up and walked outside, stepping onto the beach.

“What are we going to do guys?” Aaron asked taking a seat at the table where his sisters were.

“He’s never been like this over a girl and it’s been six months. I think he’s lost twenty pounds, he doesn’t sleep, he’s either writing music or on that damn beach,” Leslie put in.

“Did you call Brian?” Angel asked Aaron.

“This morning, he was going to call Nick later, it’s his week with Bailey,” Aaron looked outside and watched Nick disappear down the beach.

“We need to get her back, so Nick can at least talk to her,” BJ spoke. “I’ll call Brian for it later. We may as well eat. We have to take Angel to the airport in a few hours.”

“I can’t believe you’re going to go model while our brother needs us. He’s been there for us countless times,” Aaron yelled standing up.

“Aaron, she’s been here for a week, I really don’t know much more we can do. Besides I have to get back to cooking school in a few days and you’re supposed to go to Dad’s…” BJ said walking up to Aaron.

“He’s just given up and that’s not Nick and the guys, they’re not much help.”

“Aaron he doesn’t want the help he has to want it first. You know that,” Angel put a hand on her twin’s arm.

“I’m going to go be with him, even if it’s just to be there for company,” Aaron tore his arm away from Angel and ran down the beach.
As he rounded the cove he saw Nick walking into the water, bare foot, jeans and a white tee was all he wore. “NICK!” Aaron yelled and Nick didn’t hear him with the crashing waves. Aaron took his shoes off in the sand and made his way into the cold water. He watched as a large wave came over Nick’s body and Nick was gone.

~*~*~South Carolina~*~*~
“You need to get hallow sooner and block harder, hand stand pops down the floor,” I told my level six gymnast as I stood at the vault ready to spot the next team member. “And DIG!” I spotted the eleven year old for a Tzuke (a round off onto the vault, back tuck off). She was my last gymnast and I brought the kids over to the floor to do stomach conditioning. When I was done I walked over to the parents where I usually talked to them for about ten minutes before leaving. When I got there, I saw the familiar sandy blonde hair, blue eyes and half grin of Brian. His hands were shoved into his pockets standing on the side, leaning against the wall.

“Excuse me,” I told one of the parents and went up to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. “What are you doing here?!” I kissed his cheek and kissed me back.

“Don’t I get a hello?” Brian asked me casually.

“HI! Now tell me what are you doing here?”

“When are you off?”

“Ten minutes ago, I’m never out early with team. Let me get my stuff,” I disappeared into the staff room to grab my purse and slid my flip flops on. “Ready!” I said wrapping my arm through his.

“Hungry?”

“Yeah, I don’t usually eat dinner until ten, eating by nine will be a good change,” I laughed. Brian nodded. “How did you get here?”

“Cab, so do you mind driving?”

“Of course not,” we walked to my car and drove to a small diner. We ordered our food and made small talk when I realized there was something important on Brian’s mind. “What’s wrong?” I asked taking a sip of my water.

“You can read me too well,” he said smiling.

“One of my many talents, now what’s up?” At that moment when his eyes met mine, I had butterflies in my stomach.

“Hails…its…look I know we have this don’t ask don’t tell but—”

“What’s wrong with Nick?” Brian’s eyes looked away from me, taking interest in the straw wrapper on the table. “Bri, I know it must be important, it’s your week with Bailey, you wouldn’t be here, now tell me.”

“Well, I got a call from Aaron last night. Nick hasn’t been well, Nick in a long time, not since…” Brian paused and looked at me; I nodded my head knowing what he was saying. “He went for a walk on the beach, Aaron followed him and saw Nick walk straight into the water with his clothes on, a wave took Nick down, it took Aaron three minutes before he found Nick—”
I brought my hand up to my mouth and felt my eyes burn, threatening for tears to tall. “Brian did he?”

“No, Aaron did CPR in time. He’s actually home but he’s sick, in so many different ways Hailey.” Brian came over to my side of the booth and sat next to me. His arm wrapped around my shoulder and I knew exactly what he was asking.

“In what ways?” I took another sip of my water, my mouth felt extremely dry at that moment.

“They think he has the flu right now…they never went to the hospital after it all happened, Nick wouldn’t allow it. But it’s more than just the flu. He’s been going down for months, not eating, sleeping. I feel like I should’ve told you two months ago when things started getting really bad but I know how hard you’re trying to move on with your life and how difficult things have been for you.”

I didn’t know what to say, I felt scared, scared for Nick and I wanted to be sick right then and there. My heart started racing but I knew what I had to do. “When can we go?”

“There’s a flight leaving tonight, but would have to go pack now, it would be late when we got there,” Brian studied my face.

“Let’s go,” I moved down the booth and stood up.

“Hailey, I’m sorry,” Brian told me standing up.

“No, I’m glad you told me…do you think he tried to kill himself?” Brian waited for a minute and then slowly nodded his head. Brian through down a twenty and we headed for my apartment to pack up. I made a few phone calls to let people know where I’d be for a few days and Kara came over to bring us to the airport.

“Call me when you get there and Hailey?” Sarah said as we got out of the car to go into the airport.

“Yes?”

“You’re doing the right thing,” she pulled me into a hug and we said goodbye. Let’s hope so, I thought.
_________________
“Hailey, wake up, we’re here,” Brian lifted my head from his shoulder and I heard the flight attendant tell us it was okay to get up.

“Did you sleep?” I asked groggily.

“Yeah for about two hours, come on,” Brian took my hand and we exited the plane. “I rented a car so we can go as soon as we get our bags.” I nodded my head, I felt too sick to say anything. We got into a Jetta Brian had rented and he drove us the forty-five minutes to Nick’s beach house. I didn’t say one word on the way and stared out the window, letting the warm breeze enclose around me. It was about three am when we got to Nick’s.

“You ready?” Brian asked.

“No,” I took in a deep breath and let it out. As we got out of the car Aaron came out with BJ. Aaron immediately went to Brian and hugged him.

“How is he?” Brian asked.

“He’s asleep; he’s been sleeping all day. Brian we don’t know what to do? It’s just Leslie and I, he made the other’s leave but lately he’s been delirious so I just can’t leave him, I’m supposed to go to Dad’s but I can’t tell him what’s been going on? I don’t know what to do?”

“It’s alright buddy, I’m here, Hailey is here and the guys are coming out tomorrow night.” Aaron looked at me and I dropped my eyes to the ground, I couldn’t help but feel responsible for everything that’s been happening to Nick.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Aaron said to me and gave me a hug. I felt a small bit of relief and went inside.

“He’s throwing up,” Leslie said as she briskly ran up the steps. I followed behind her and went into Nick’s room. He was holding a bucket, violently getting sick. “Nothing’s coming up, “Les told us “He hasn’t eaten in weeks,” she rubbed Nick’s back.

“Get some Gingerale, chicken broth, crackers, we need to get something in his system,” I told Aaron, he nodded and took off. “Have you taken his temperature?” I asked Leslie.

“He was just under a hundred this afternoon,” she told me and handed me a thermometer. I took a seat next to Nick, he was as pale as his white sheets, his body shook and his forehead was sweating.

“Nick, I need to take your temperature,” I said softly putting my arm around him.

“Hailey?” he asked weakly as he lied back onto his pillows.

“It’s me, put this under your tongue,” I put the thermometer up to his mouth. “There you go,” he took the thermometer and his eyes closed. I pinched his skin just above his wrist and saw how his skin stayed scrunched for a moment. “He’s dehydrated.”

“What can I do?” Brian asked as he looked worriedly at his friend.

“I’ll let you know in one second,” I took the thermometer out as it beeped and read it. “Jesus,” I whispered to myself.

“What?” Brian asked trying to read it.

“104.3, we need to get him into the bath tub. Nick sit up,” I put my arm around him and took his sheets off. “Leslie go start the bath tub with cold water, Brian I’m going to need help getting him in there,” Brian nodded his head and put one of Nick’s arms around him. Nick moaned a little as we made him stand up.

“Come on man help us out, we’re going to get you better,” Brian told Nick holding him up.

“No,” was all that came out of Nick’s mouth. My heart was breaking a little more each time I looked at Nick, if I had just called or wrote back he wouldn’t be like this. We got him into the bathtub, he was wearing only boxers. Still too weak to hold himself up, Nick started to slide down the large bath. I took my sandals off and slid behind Nick into the icy water.

“I need ice bags, just get a bunch,” I told to Leslie and Brian. They left the bathroom and I was left holding onto Nick. His head hung forward and I pushed it to my shoulder. “You’re going to be okay, I’m so sorry Nick.”

“Here I got some water too,” Brian said coming into the bathroom. “Aaron left for the store to get the other things.” Brian handed me the glass of water. I brought it up to Nick’s parched lips and they remained sealed.

“Come on little sips, for me,” I whispered into Nick’s ear. I tilted the glass and he took a small sip. “That’s it Nick take another,” Nick took another and started choking. “It’s alright, Brian ice bags,” I set the glass down and he handed me an ice bag. I put one under each of Nick’s arms and one behind his neck. At this point I was already freezing from the cold water. For some reason though, I felt as though I had never been apart from Nick and it was completely natural for me to be caring for him the way I was.

“You’re shivering,” Brian told me sitting on the bathtub edge.

“I’m fine; could you go get the thermometer? His head is feeling cooler already,” I asked. Brian got up and I ran my fingers through Nick’s hair. I got him to drink a few more sips of water and Brian came back a moment later. We had been in the tub for ten minutes now and if his fever hadn’t dropped at all, we were going to have to get him to the hospital.

I stuck the thermometer under his tongue again, giving small kisses to his flushed cheek. A moment later it beeped and I pulled it out and signed in relief.

“What is it?” Leslie asked me.

“101.5,” I laid my head back onto the cool wall. “Another ten minutes and it should be down to almost normal and then we have to keep it there.”

“You’re amazing,” Brian kissed the top of my head. “I’ll get in and hold him up, why don’t you go get warm?” I shook my head no.

“I need to do this,” I told Brian. I couldn’t leave Nick.

“I’m cold,” Nick’s weak voice whispered as he shivered.

“I know, just a few more minutes Nicky,” my arms now wrapped around him tightly and I thought that if I let go even the slightest I’d lose him forever. Ten minutes later I checked his temperature one more time and it was 99.2. Brian helped me get Nick out and helped Nick get into dry clothes. Leslie had changed Nick’s sheets to fresh ones and I changed also. As I stepped out of the guest room, I saw Brian waiting for me against the door frame.

“Have I told you just how amazing you are?” I grinned a little at Brian.

“Not in the last hour,” I shrugged.

“What you did for Nick…you didn’t think twice you just took care of him despite everything.”

“It was just my nursing background, it was nothing—”

“It was everything Hails, I saw the way you looked at him.”

“I don’t think he even realizes I’m here, he was delirious from the fever,” I played with the ring on my finger.

“He was asking for you as we got him back in bed. Aaron is back with the soup and he’s making some up for Nick.” I nodded my head and bit my lip. “Go in there,” Brian through his head towards the door, I hesitated for a moment and went in.

When I went in, Nick was lying down, eyes closed and looked more peaceful than ever. I took the washcloth out of the bowl Leslie brought in, wrung the water out and placed it on Nick’s forehead. He stirred for a minute and opened his eyes at me.

“You’re really here?” I nodded my head and took Nick’s hand in mine, he gave it a small squeeze. “Hailey I’m so sorry…” he started coughing.

“Shh, let’s get you better. I’m not going anywhere,” I kissed Nick’s hand.

“Really?”

“Promise, just rest,” I was interrupted when Aaron came in with a bowl of soup. “Looks like it’s time to eat,” I took the bowl from Aaron’s hand.

“Is he going to be okay?”

“He’s going to be just fine, go get some rest, I hear you’ve been an excellent brother and have been by his side the entire time. It’s five in the morning.” Aaron leaned over Nick giving him a brief hug, hugged me and left. “I know you’re exhausted but you have to eat just a little, you’ll feel much better when you wake up.”

“I can’t.”

“Yes, you can,” I helped Nick sit up a little and spoon fed him the chicken broth. I was able to get him to eat almost half of it before he was too tired to stay awake. I gave him two Tylenol and stayed with him until he fell asleep. By the time Nick was asleep it was almost 5:30am and I was over tired and knew I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep.

Quietly I got off the bed and headed for the door. I took one more look at Nick and felt every emotion ready to come out of me; I walked out of the room and closed the door. I leaned against the door and slid to the ground bringing my knees to my chest. I laid my head down and let my emotions get the best of me; and began crying.

The house was quiet and everyone must’ve been asleep.

“Hailey?”

“I’m sorry B did I wake you?” I lifted my head and quickly dried my tears.

“Not really, are you alright?”

“You’re always saving me, do you know that?”

“Nah you don’t need to be saved, you’re strong enough. So, talk to me or I’m going to make you go to bed.”

“I guess it was just a lot at once and it just sort of hit me now where I was and who I was with…”

“I understand, how are you feeling over all of it?”

“I can’t decide, a part of me is scared and a part is glad that I’m here taking care of him a part of me is disappointed and just hates myself,” I ran my fingers through my hair.

“I don’t understand?”

“Don’t you see? If only I had called back to one phone call or wrote back to one email or responded to a text message or letter, he wouldn’t be here the way he is today. I mean he looks like death and it’s because of me Brian. I don’t care what someone else may have done to you but no one deserves to be treated this way and have to go through this and feel the feelings he’s been dealing with.
Brian how long has he talked about hurting himself like this?”

“I don’t know he first threatened the day you left but he never said anything about hurting himself since, which I know of. I told Aaron and his sisters about it and they said they would tell me if they heard anything and yesterday at the ocean I guess was the first real attempt. But he was already sick when he walked into those waters so who knows what he was really thinking?
I do know that it was not your fault in anyway and the fact you are here right now is all that matters, none of the past does.”

“But I should’ve…I could’ve…”

“NO, you’re doing everything right at this moment,” Brian cut me off and pulled me into his arms. “Come on let’s go get some sleep,” Brian stood up pulling my arms up with him.

“I’m going to stay with him tonight,” I pulled Brian in for a hug.

“Come get me if you need anything,” Brain kissed my forehead and walked into the guest room. I walked back into Nick’s room and carefully got into the right side of his bed, he was on the left turned face in. I gently brushed my finger tips through his hair and fell asleep.
Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl
The next two days, I took care of Nick and he became stronger and was feeling better. We never really talked more than me asking what he needed and me telling him to eat or to sleep. It was still hard for me to be around Nick and I found myself just having to step out of his room to not let myself get attached again. I however knew the truth, I knew it was too late.

“Hey where’s Nick?” Brian asked me as I was packing up some of my clothes. “And what are you doing?”

“He’s in the shower and I’m packing…” I didn’t look up at Brian and he came and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Why?”

“B he’s better, or at least getting there, he’ll be alright,” I zipped up my suit case.

“Hailey, you two haven’t talked and I think you need to and I know you want to,” Brian put a hand over mine to stop me from moving.

“I honestly don’t think we have anything to talk about,” I shrugged my shoulders.

“That’s not true and you know it. I see how you’ve been with him these last couple of days, that’s love in your eyes girl. And between yesterday and this morning, that’s definitely still love in his eyes for you.”

“Maybe so but that doesn’t change the past,” I threw my long hair up in messy bun and looked at Brian. “I believe in second chances I really do but this just doesn’t feel right.”

“Will you stay a little longer? The guys are coming out tonight; I know they want to see you. Just at least until tomorrow? And talk to Nick?”

“That was like five things you wanted me to do…but you’re right I’d love to see the guys, I miss them and we’ll see about talking. I mean if it just happens, then yeah I will. Which I have this feeling the next time I see him it’s going to, maybe that’s why I’m avoiding.”

And at that split moment it was like Nick had been in the room the entire time because there was a knock on the door. Nick was leaning against it, wearing jeans and a plain white tee shirt, head against the frame; his hair was wet and falling over his eyes. Damn how can he look so good for being so sick? His jeans were definitely bigger on him as his tee-shirt…almost scary big that reminded me of my past.

“I’m going to call Kev and double check his arrival time,” Brian squeezed my shoulder, patted Nick on the back and left. My eyes were locked with Nick’s and neither of us knew exactly what to say or how to start. I stood up from the bed and walked up to him, it was almost like I was being pulled and I had no control.

“I…how are you feeling?” I shoved my hands in my back pockets of my jean shorts.

“Uh, better now that I showered thanks…for everything.” I nodded my head and looked down at the ground. “I need some fresh air, want to go for a walk?”

“Nick, I don’t know if you—”

“Shh, I’m fine, thanks to you,” Nick cut me off by putting his finger up to my lips. I could smell his body wash, the familiar, comforting scent.

“Okay,” I followed Nick out the door and we walked down the path to the beach. It was a 90 degree day but with the breeze off the ocean, it only felt like 75-80. We made out way over to a pile of rocks on the jetty and had a seat.

For a moment, the both of us just stared out into the ocean, thinking of a million different things and reliving our past in our minds. I watched as the waves crushed over each other and rolled up onto the sandy white beach. I then had to know.

“Why?” I kept my gaze out into the open water. “Why did you walk into those waters the way Aaron said you did?”

Nick didn’t speak for a moment and then looked at me. “It was a selfish and easy way out.” He said it plain and simple.

“Easy way out of what?”

“The pain,” Nick picked up a stone and threw it into the sand. I didn’t say anything, I didn’t know what to say, I just looked at him. “The pain I felt, the pain I inflicted on you, not knowing if I’d see you again, knowing that I lost you for ever…”

“It was wrong of me not to contact you back Nick and I was so scared when I first came back, scared that you were really sick and scared for your life when Brian told me what you had done. If something had happened to you, I-I don’t know what I would’ve done.”

“You had every right not to talk to me, I hurt you, I broke the trust you had in me. God Hailey, that day though, I just, I’m so angry at myself for not being there when that creep laid his sick hands on you. And I spent so many nights just asking myself, what if Brian and Katie weren’t there that night or if it were just Katie and if I had been there not only would you have safe but you wouldn’t have been hurt by me.” Nick’s voice rose, he put his head into his hands and then stood up.

“Nick, it’s in the past and we can’t keep thinking of ‘what if’s’, it’s only going to make us crazy.”

“Hailey, I still love you,” Nick turned around, putting his hands on my shoulders. His eyes were intent and full of emotion. I wanted to look away from those eyes that I feel in love with, which seemed so long ago now.

“Nick,I-,we can’t,” I tore away from him and started walking away. He ran up to me, took my let hand and spun me around.

“I screwed up, I’m a guy, I’m human but I’m still paying for it Hailey and until I have you back again, don’t you see I always will. Can you honestly look at me and tell me that everything we once had is just gone?!” His yes began to fill with tears and I felt my own welling up. Just as I was about to protest Nick collapsed to his knees. I dropped to my knees to look at him, his face was ghostly white. I went to touch his forehead and he pushed my hand away.

“Don’t,” he said sharply. “Don’t unless you’re going to tell me the words I need to hear to live.”

“Nick, you’re still sick, we should get you inside,” my voice quivered, trying not to let the tears.

“TELL ME!” Nick was now crying, head hanging low, fingers dug deep into the sand. I had never heard that tone in his voice before. “Is it gone?” His voice softened.

“Nick…I’m sorry.” My voice was a whisper and I wasn’t even sure if he heard me.

“Leave me,” he whispered back.

“I’m not going—”

“GET OUT OF HERE!” Nick looked into my eyes, his own full of hurt and anger. “GO!” I quickly got off my knees and ran towards Nick’s house, blinded by tears I found myself falling over rocks. Ignoring the pain in my hands and knees I continued to run until I reached the house.

As I got up to the door, Brian had come out and I ran into his arms.

“What’s wrong? I saw you running?”

“He told…me…to…he…he’s down by the jetty.” I pulled from Brian and went inside, upstairs to lock myself up in the guest room. I plopped down on the bed, upset and regretting for not speaking from my heart, I cried myself to sleep.

Ch. 5: Brian’s Point Of View (POV)

As soon as Hailey ran away from me I headed down the beach to look for Nick. When I got to the jetty Nick was sitting down, knees up to his chest and crying. I sat down next to him looking out into the ocean.

“What happened Nick?” Nick shook his head and let out a deep breath.

“I just screwed up…again.”

“What did you two talk about?”

“I asked her if what we had was just gone and then I lost it and yelled at her, bad Bri,” Nick’s eyes stayed fixed out into the ocean. “I’ve officially lost her and what is even worse; I lost even the chance of being friends.”

“I don’t know what to tell you Nick, she came in pretty upset.”

“Why aren’t you with her to console and hold?” Nick’s voice was icy cold.

“Hey man that’s not fair, I looked out for her and was there when there was no one else,” I told Nick.

“Whatever,” Nick went to stand and I saw how shaky he was. I stood up to help him but he pulled away.

“Buddy you need to go back in and get some rest before you get real sick again,” I told him sympathetically.

“Doesn’t matter anymore, nothing does.” I couldn’t believe how depressed Nick was and it was starting to scare me. I felt my phone vibrate and took it out, it was Kevin. I started following Nick back to the beach house and talked to Kevin.
“Hey Kev,” I answered.

“Hey, we’re here, where are you?”

“On our way back from the beach, long story, tell you later. This is bigger than I thought though,” I told Kevin worriedly.

“We’ll figure out when you get back, see you in a bit,” Kevin hung up the phone and Nick and I got back to the house. When w got inside, Kevin, Howie, and A.J. were in the living room.

“What the hell Brian?” Nick asked me getting upset.

“Nick, we just want to help. We’re worried about you bro,” A.J. stood up and went to pull Nick in for a hug but Nick turned away.

“I don’t need anyone’s help, just get the @#%$ out of here,” Nick went up stairs and into his room, slamming the door like a teenager.

“We should’ve been here sooner,” Howie said giving me a hug.

“I should’ve been here sooner,” I told him sitting down. “He’s in a dark place and he can’t get out,” I told them about the last couple of days and the incident on the beach.

“Is she still up there now?” A.J. asked.

“I believe so, I haven’t been able to check on her, I will now,” I told him and headed for the stairs.

“I’ll go with you,” A.J. told me, he had been pretty close with Hailey has well. We reached the stairs and went up to the guest room. I tried the door but it was locked. I knocked three times but there was no answer and I was worried. I reached my hand above the door frame and found he key and unlocked it. We walked in slowly and saw her lying side ways on the bed on her stomach.

“She must’ve cried herself to sleep, she hasn’t slept much in the last couple of days,” I told A.J. as he brushed a piece of her hair off her face gently.

“Brian what are these for?” A.J. pointed to three prescription bottles that lied on the bed with her. I picked them up and they were prescriptions I had never heard of and wasn’t sure. Hailey’s name however was printed on the prescription.

“A.J. you don’t think…”

“No, she’s sleeping, she’s not suicidal,” A.J. told me with question in his answer. We both looked at each other for a minute and I shook Hailey’s shoulder to wake her. She murmured a bit and her eyes fluttered open.

“A.J?”

“Hey doll face.”

“What? Brian? What are you guys doing?” She sat up trying to adjust to the light from the window.

“We just wanted to check on you, how are you?” I asked and she shrugged her shoulders. Her eyes were swollen and red. A.J. pulled her into a hug.

“Brian, I want to go home,” her voice was soft and sounded like a child.

“I’ll look into flights for you,” she put her head on my shoulder and I looked at A.J. “Hails?”

“Hmm?”

“What are these for?” I picked up one of the bottles of pills. She sat up and took it from my hand and picked up the others.

“Oh, nothing.” She shoved them into her purse and picked up her brush and brushed her hair.

“I’m going to go try to talk to well, I’ll be back in a bit,” AJ. Stood up knowing that she probably only wanted to talk to me. I walked behind her and she saw me in the mirror.

“Talk to me, you don’t ever keep anything from me girl,” I took the brush out of her hand and took her hand, leading her to the bed.

“How do you know?”

“Hales?”

“Ugh alright. One is to help me stay asleep at night.”

“Were you still having the nightmares?”

“Yeah, I just got this about a week ago.”

“You’ve had them up till then? You told me they had stopped months ago.”

“I was embarrassed, I don’t know?”

“You know you have nothing to be embarrassed about with me Hales, what are the other two?”

“Um, well, one is for,” her voice trailed off and she looked down at her hands.

“What is it? You can tell me.”

“One is an anti-depressant. I know it seems like an easy way out, Kara made me go see someone and they just gave these to me and I know I’m pathetic.”

“No not at all, it’s good you went to someone. Is there a reason why Kara had you go?”

“Uh,” I watched as she bit her lower lip. “It’s jus for my heart, from the surgery remember?”

“I thought they put you on something else?”

“Well, they did and it well, something’s not exactly right with my heart.” I sat up a little straighter now and I looked her straight in the eye.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s nothing really I guess, they’re not too sure. I’m supposed to go see another specialist next week.”

“What’s not right with it?”

“I sorta have this irregular heart beat that sometimes makes me pass out, especially if I’m working out…thus the weight gainage here,” I watched as she tried to laugh it off.

“And the doctors aren’t sure what to do? Does the medicine help?”

“This is the third one they’re trying; they can’t seem to find anything really wrong with my heart. I just got this one a month ago and only have had two spells. But I won’t know for another month or so.” She shrugged her shoulders and pulled a half grin. Something told me however that this wasn’t just something light to deal with on the side, there was some serious stuff going on with her and she wasn’t letting me in.

“Are you still seeing someone for the depression?”

“Not really, I went to maybe three sessions, I don’t even think the medication is helping and I’ll probably just go off it soon. I mean I don’t think I need it, look I know that look you’re giving me and I’m fine. I’m a big girl, I can handle the world. But I really would like to go home, I mean I know the guys just got here but I can’t be around him. He has so much anger towards me and I’m just going to hurt him more than I already have.”

“I’ll go look for flights right now, why don’t you go downstairs to see the guys,” I pulled her in for a hug. “And please, don’t keep me in the dark. I’m here for you,” I kissed the top of her head and went downstairs to use the computer to book her a flight.

Hailey’s POV:

After Brian left the room, I took a minute to compose myself and walked out of the room. As I turned the corner, I ran into Nick…literally.

“Sorry,” we said simultaneously. I happened to meet his eyes and he looked flat out terrible and I wanted to so badly pull him into my arms and hold him. I wanted to tell him that I still was in love with him, that I never fell out. I wanted him to know how much I missed him and how I wanted us back. I watched as he disappeared into the bathroom and I stared as the door closed. I went downstairs to where the guys were talking.

When I reached them they all quieted down and I had to laugh a little.

“Okay guys, stop talking about me,” Kevin stood up and pulled me in for a hug. Howie followed him and I sat down next to him.

“Brian said he’s looking for a plane ticket for you,” Kevin told me.

“Yeah, my job as a nurse here is done.” I smiled trying to be strong.

“Hales…” A.J. went to cut in.

“I’m going to go check on Brian and the plane.” I got up and went to the other side of the house. I saw Brian sitting at the computer.

“I can’t get anything out until tomorrow night earliest and it’s like three am. Weird time.”

“Well, that’s fine. I can get a cab.”

“Nonsense you’ll have a ride.”

“I was thinking about getting a hotel tonight then, I kind of need to be alone.”

“Hon, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

“You’re only saying that, now that you know how crazy I am and need pills.”

“Of course not but we’re all here and it will be like…”

“It can’t be like old times B, you guys need to be here for Nick. I’m worried about him but there’s nothing I can do.”

“You just have to say the three words to him.”

“They’re not there,” I said shortly.

“Liar.”

“I’m going to go for a jog on the beach. I’ll have my phone on me.”

“Be safe.”

“Always,” I winked.
Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl
Brian’s POV

“Nick you, we have to do something to get you better,” I told Nick and looked at the rest of the guys around him. They nodded their heads in agreement.
“I am better, I feel fine,” Nick slouched against the couch.

“Nick, not that way and you know it. This depression that you have going on and you cannot deny it anymore. I’ve been there man and you don’t want to do this alone, trust me,” A.J. told him.

“Guys it’s not a big deal, I’m over it and I’m over her,” Nick told us matter of fact.

“Come on Nick give it a rest, you tried to kill yourself in those waves the other day for her; there is no way you can just be over her after her leaving just last night,” Howie said.

“It’s us, let us help. I know she still loves you,” as I said this I saw a little spark in Nick’s eye as if he were a two year old who just saw a toy.

“It’s true Nick, I mean why would she have flown all the way here with Brian. She took care of you as though you two were still together and she cried for you that night of how worried she was. I saw the way she looked at you and the way she would say your name,” Kevin told Nick.

“I blew any chance though yesterday when I yelled at her,” Nick’s head dropped.

“You’ve done all the obvious stuff to get her back but now it’s time to step it up,” A.J. told Nick standing up.

“A.J?” Kevin asked almost in a warning tone of voice.

“No, it’s time. They’re supposed to be together it’s crystal clear. I mean she’s the first girl Nick’s stayed well…almost faithful for. And if he didn’t love her then he wouldn’t be well…the way he his now.”

“What do you suggest?” Howie questioned.

“We need to release a new single within the next month,” A.J. pointed out. “And I know we were thinking about doing ‘Beautiful Woman’ but I have something more romantic. And when we shoot the video I know who can be our leading lady. God knows she’s got the looks,” A.J. winked at Nick.

All of us were quiet, trying to think of which song off of the ‘Never Gone’ album he was talking about.

“’Crawling Back to You’,” Nick’s voice almost whispered. A.J. was right, it was perfect; it was true, it could work.

“What do you say?” A.J. asked.

“I think we should do it,” Kevin agreed.

“It’s going to be an emotional shoot,” Howie told Nick.

“I need to try at least once more and give it all,” Nick smiled. Something no one has seen in months. “How in the world do we get her to come out and do it though?”

“Leave it to me,” I told Nick and smiled back at him. “Kevin why don’t you call our producers to let them know what we agreed, A.J. start calling Nigel for the video shoot and Howie take Nick out to get some food and out of the house for some shopping,” I was excited for Nick. I really wasn’t sure if it would work, Howie was right it would be extremely emotional but it could quite possibly fix everything.
*~*~*~*~* Two Weeks Later: NYC Hailey’s POV*~*~*~*~*~*


The driver who had picked me up from the airport dropped me off at some place. I was to be doing a video with one of my favorite music groups, The Fray. My agent had called me about two weeks ago saying that they saw me in one of my shows and thought I’d be perfect for one of their video’s but that I didn’t need to dance in it. Which is a good thing because of my knee.

When I got there, there were lots of workers, the set was a of this large beach house.

“Ahh Hailey James I presume?” a tall bald man came up to me with an English accent, he looked familiar.

“Yes, I’m here for the Fray?”

“The who? Never mind, go get make up and wardrobe, that direction,” the man pushed me off towards some chaotic direction. I got this weird feeling in my stomach but brushed it off. I got to where makeup was and I saw a familiar face.

“Katie?!”

“Hailey! Oh, @#%$, hi,” she pulled me in for a hug.

“What are you doing here?”

“I well, um, aw hell,” she put her hands on her hips and looked around.

“What’s going on?”

“I’ll be right back,” she told me a rushed off.

“Hailey, darling! Come let me do your makeup! My name is Eric and I’m going to make you even more gorgeous than what you already are,” I was ushered to a makeup chair and then was being painted up, my hair brushed, flat ironed and curled. Just as I was done I looked in the mirror and I got a glimpse of another familiar face. He saw me and walked up to me.

“Hey Hails,” Brian pulled me in for a hug. It was starting to come together.

“How come I have this feeling I’m not doing a video for the amazing Fray?” I stood up from the chair.

“Hate me all you want after this but please don’t freak out. We wanted you to star in our video because you’ve become so close to us and I knew that if any of us had asked you would’ve said no.” Brian shrugged his shoulders up as he finished. I looked at him for a moment and couldn’t help but laugh at how cute he looked.

“You’re right, I would’ve said no but I’m here now and…well, you are one of my best friends. But please, don’t do anything like this behind my back again Bri, be honest.”

“I know I know I’m sorry. Forgive me?”

“I’ll have to think about that one. But come on The Fray? You know how in love with them I am!” Brian laughed.

“I promise I will get you to meet them at one of their shows. I’ll set things up after this is over.”

“You better! So, what song is this for?”

“It’s well, ‘Crawling Back to You’ I have to run, love you for this!” Brian kissed my cheek and ran off.

“I really should leave for this stunt he’s pulled,” I said to myself and then felt myself being pulled off to wardrobe.

Nick’s POV

I paced around nervous as to what was going to happen. Brian told me that she now knew. I looked around the house set and everything was pretty close to what my beach house looked like that we stayed at. A.J. claims that not much directing will be needed and that he had a feeling things would fall in place.

“Okay people get in your places,” Nigel told us. This probably would’ve been the quickest and easiest set we’ve had to do. “Now remember, the idea is that Hailey here, is like the most important thing in world to her boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. You guys are all here for your best friend trying to get Romeo and Juliet back together. Hailey just go with whatever emotion the song is taking you. We’ll start with Brian going through the pictures of Hailey with Nick, and writing the lyrics to this song. Brian you strum on your guitar and Nick will be writing the words.

Hailey you’ll start in Nick’s arms and then with some camera magic you’ll fade away. Everyone ready? And ACTION!” Brian started singing.

“Everybody knows that I was such a fool, to ever let go of you but baby I was wrong, and yeah I know I said we’d be better off alone, it was time we move on, I know I broke your heart, I didn’t mean to break your heart, but baby here I am…” Brian sang and I held her in his arms, the first time since before we broke up and I could feel my heart beat so strong. She looked up into my eyes, with such overwhelming love.

“Banging on your front door, my pride’s spilled on the floor, my hands and knees are bruised and I’m crawling back to you. Bagging for a second chance, are you going to let me in? I was running from the truth and now I’m crawling back to you…” BSB

The idea was Hailey in her home now; she was looking through a scrap book of her and I, it something that I had put together these last two weeks. As she flipped through it, I saw tears start to fill through her eyes. She closed the book and pushed it towards the closed door and walked over to ‘her bed’. She picked up the teddy bear I had given to her one night when she was homesick from her brother and she hugged it on her bed.

Two hours later we shot my solo scene:

“I know you’re in there, you can make me wait, but I’m not going to wait, it’s the least that I can do, to tell you face to face, I was lying to myself (lying to myself-Howie), now I’m dying in this hell, (dying in this hell-Howie), girl I know you’re mad, I can’t blame you for being mad but baby here I am…” I sang into the door, almost rubbing it and falling to my knees.

I was on my knees at the base of the door, hitting my fists.

“Banging on your front door, my pride’s spilled on the floor, my hands and knees are bruised and I’m crawling back to you. Bagging for a second chance, are you going to let me in? I was running from the truth and now I’m crawling back to you…” BSB
We shot a scene of the two of us in a heated argument.

I had to shoot the chorus scene where I had to pick going on tour with the guys than being with her. I made sure Nigel wouldn’t decide to use another girl to represent what really happened. The idea was that I chose something over the woman I was in love with.

“If you could see these tears I’m crying, touch these hands can’t stop shaking, here my heart that’s barely beating, you will see a different man…” I sang this part with all my heart and feeling. Hailey had at least a hundred different letters and emails lying around her that I had once written her.

Because we really have to sing along with the music that is being played, my emotions got to me and I let the tears fall from my face. At the end of this line she opened up the door and we were face to face. She almost took my breath away when I saw her, she had a tear streaked face and looked vulnerable.

“… but baby here I am, banging on your front door, my pride spilled on the floor, my hands and knees are bruised…” A.J. sang.

“… and I’m crawling back to you, bagging for a second chance, are you going to let me in, let me in, I was running from the truth ,running from, now I’m crawling back to you, baby, banging on your front door, darling, my pride spilled on the floor, I was running from the truth, now I’m crawling back to you, yeah…”

“Now I’m crawling back to you,” I sang

“Crawling back to you,” Howie sang.

“Crawling back to you,” Brian sang.

“Crawling back to you…” Kevin sang last.

The scene faded out with Hailey opening the door, throwing her arms around my neck and me lifting her up.
Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl
The entire set was quiet and all eyes were on Nick and myself but I felt as though we were the only two people in the room. I was afraid that if I were to let go, I wouldn’t have the strength to go back and hold him or that I would lose him again
“Let’s go somewhere,” he whispered into my ear. I nodded my head and let him guide me out of the set and outside where there were benches. We sat down and looked into each other’s eyes which seemed like eternity and we both started at the same time.
“Nick I—”
“Hails—”
“You go first,” Nick told me.
“Nick, I’m so sorry for everything I’ve put you through. Despite whatever happened you didn’t deserve to be treated the way you were from m. That’s not the type of person I am and I was just hurt and didn’t know how to handle things.”
“Nonsense. I hurt you and you did what you thought was best for you and I understand. You have nothing to be sorry for, do you hear me? I can’t forgive myself for what I did to you that night, there are no excuses and just having you hear now means the world to me and I don’t deserve that or any part of you. I know you were tricked into getting here but you stayed.”
“And I kept telling myself that I should leave but I just couldn’t. And I figured there was a reason for that. That reason is you Nick. I need you in my life and we all make mistakes and I forgive you.”
“You shouldn’t forgive me but I need you in my life too pretty girl. I haven’t gone a single day where I wasn’t thinking of you in some way, shape or form. And I’ve been trying to reason with myself to why I would ever had hurt you that night and I can barely recall that entire night as it is. Yes, I started drinking but I really didn’t know what the consequences were until it was too late.”
“How about this,” I took Nick’s hands into mine. “How about we forget about that night, forget about the pain we endured and focus on the now. It’s clear we’re supposed to be together.”
“I love you.”
“And I love you,” we leaned into each other and started kissing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“They’re WHAT?!” she screamed digging her nails into Billy’s shoulders.
“They’re back together; they were all love dovey at the set.”
“Did anyone see you, you goon?”
“No mam, but what are you doing to do?”
“Well, first of all if I can’t have him then NO ONE will. I’ll just have to get rid of my love, Nick.”
“How do we do that boss?”
“Guess the Backstreet Boys will just have to be down one boy and we need to do it before the tour starts so I don’t look like I’m part of this mess.”
“Okey dokey boss,” Billy laughed getting excited. Amber walked away coming up with her plan.


~*~*~*~*~
So, you two are okay now?” Brian asked me as they walked down Times Square.
“Yes, I think so. It’s going to take some time but we both want to be with each other. Brian,” I stopped walking. “Thank you for everything. You truly are my best friend.” I pulled him in for a hug
“No problem, I’m just glad to see things looking up for you,” his voice was soft and his eyes seemed sad.
“What’s up with you today?” I asked pulling away.
“Oh, nothing. Just a little tired from getting up early to do Good Morning America.”
“Okay…” I didn’t believe him but I wasn’t going to press it further.
“You look beautiful today,” the words came out of nowhere from Brian. I was a bit taken back. “I mean you always do but you just can tell how happy you are, you’re glowing.” His hands were shoved deep into his pockets as he looked at me.
“Thanks Bri,” I put my arm through his and we continued to walk around.
“What are you doing about work?”
“They were a little upset but they have enough help there. I’m just going to stick around for a little bit. Nick and I need to take things slow but they have to get better first and we can’t really do that if I’m miles away.”
“Yeah, you two are being smart about the whole thing.” My phone vibrated and I assumed it was Nick. He was back at the hotel taking a nap. I pulled it out and opened it up to read the text. It was from an number I had never seen but the area code was NY.
:: U have been warned. Now Nick must say goodbye to his world. ::
“Brian,” I whispered and handed my phone to him. He took it and quickly shut it.
“Is this the first one since all of it?” his voice was serious.
“I got an email a little while ago before I came here.”
“Did you report it?”
“It didn’t seem like that big of a threat; it was from a different email this time anyway.”
“But you changed your other one too. Hailey we need to report this, they never caught that guy.”
“Actually the email said it wasn’t about the guy, he as just a threat.”
“Let’s go,” he took my hand, still holding onto my phone and started walking. We headed towards the hotel.
“I wanted to go shopping for some sunglasses.”
“Later, we’re taking this to head of security for us.”
“Why can’t we have a normal life,” I whined and let Brian drag me back to the hotel. When we got there, he got on his cell and called security. A few minutes later a big guy came into the lobby. Brian explained what he knew and I told a little about the email.
“We will get extra security on Mr. Carter and be sure that Ms. James here is taken care of.”
“Thank you Lee.” Brian shook his hand and we headed towards the elevator. We went up to Nick’s room and knocked on the door
“This is ridiculous Bri,” I told him with my arms crossed now. Nick came to the door a minute later and opened it sleepily.
“We have a situation,” Brian told him still holding my hand; he pushed through Nick and entered the room. “Lock the door,” Brian said sternly. Nick looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders plopping down onto the bed on my stomach. Nick locked the door and came and sat by me.
“What’s going on?” he asked.
“Brian’s gone crazy,” I said laying my head on Nick’s lap.
“Her stalker or whomever is back.” Brian said flatly.
“What?” he sat up a little straighter. Brian told him about the text and email.
“They took my phone!” I cried.
“It’s probably for the better right now. So they’re getting extra security.”
“Yeah, they’ll be here soon. I’m going to go see how things are going, you two stay together.” Brian walked towards the door. “Put the chain on after I leave,” he unlocked the door and left.
“Has he always been this over protective?” Nick asked.
“Since well, I was attacked.”
“Well, I’m not going to let anything happen to you,” Nick laid on top of me.
“’Cause they won’t be able to find me under you!” I laughed.
“You’re going to get it now!” Nick started tickling me, which eventually turned into him kissing me. Ahh I loved new relationships.
“Our tour starts in a few weeks and I know you’re doing it ‘cause what I think is because of your knee right?”
“Right. I just can’t move that way anymore. I had my ACL repaired and screws put in. I’m surprised it still really holds me up anymore.”
“I’m sorry baby,” he kissed my forehead.
“No worries!” I sat up and smiled.
“I want to ask you stay with me but there is something you need to know,” Nick’s hands started to fidget.
“What’s that?”
“I have no idea how it happened, we’re still trying to work on it but Amber is back on the tour.”
“Seriously.” My mouth almost dropped and I felt sick to my stomach.
“I had nothing to do with it. You’d think we’d have first say on who stays and who goes but we don’t and I guess she is one of the best dancers…of course next to you.
“Well, its business, the past is in the past…just try to lose her,” I winked and patted his back standing up.
“It’s okay to be mad about it.”
“I’m not; it’s just weird and will suck because I do want to go with you.”
“So come, everything will be fine, I promise.” Nick walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Two days later we all back in California; this is where everyone decided to meet up with Fatima to work on the choreography for the tour that would be coming up in a few weeks. I stayed with Nick and it felt as though nothing ever changed between the two of us. It felt as though we never broke up.
I got back in from my morning run from Nick’s house to find that he was still asleep. I started making pancakes for us and Nick’s phone rang. I glanced at the clock and it was only eight am, I thought it was still early for someone to be calling.
“Hello?” I answered the phone off the wall. Silence. “Hello?” I asked again. I heard light breathing on the other end and then the dial tone. “Weird,” I said to myself and went back to cooking. I finished the pancakes and made a plate for Nick and I. I brought them into his room where he was still sleeping.
“Nicky, time to get up,” I set the plate on the night stand and sat on the edge of the bed. I kissed his cheek, hips neck and shoulder. He rolled over facing me and smiling. “Good morning,” I smiled back.
“What time is it?”
“Almost eight thirty, I made breakfast.”
“It’s early he moaned, what time did you get up?”
“Six-thirty. I went on a run and made pancakes.”
“You’re still crazy,” Nick sat up. “That’s why I love you.” He gave me a kiss and we started eating our breakfast and started making plans for the day. Just then his phone rang again.
“Someone called earlier but wouldn’t answer me,” I took a bite of pancake. Nick reached next to him and picked up the cordless.
“Talk to me,” Nick answered and I rolled my eyes. “Hi…” His tone of voice immediately changed. “Why are you calling me?...I told you I don’t want anything…okay…are you serious…about the tour…I’ll see what I can do…bye.” Nick hung up the phone and slowly looked at me. “This just doesn’t make sense, why now?”
“What are you talking about, who was that?”
“You have to believe me this is the first time we’ve talked since that day,” he started, I could tell he was nervous.
“You don’t mean that was Amber do you?”
“She said she needed to talk to me about the tour and in person. She said she wants to try to get out but she’s going through some hard publicity about the whole thing. I don’t even know how it got leaked.”
“Can’t she have her manager call your manager or something? You should have nothing to do with this.”
“She sounded scared and upset, something about some crazy fans trying to hurt her when she went out to the mall the other day.”
“You want to go see her?”
“It’s not that I want to, I just feel like I need to. She was crying on the phone and was all upset. Baby I just got everything perfect with you; do you think I want to jeopardize that at all?” I took a minute and thought about what he said and who Nick was.
“Do what you have to do,” I shrugged my shoulders and stood up to head for the shower.
“I won’t go.” I stopped at the door frame and turned and faced Nick.
“You have a big heart and it will be on your mind until you do talk to her. This is just going to help build our trust again,” I looked right into his eyes so he knew I meant every word I said. “Am I okay with it? Not really, I’m not going to lie but I want to trust you again. I want this to work.” Nick got up and walked towards me; he pulled me into his arms and held me tight.
“I can’t believe I ever let you go in the first place, I love you so much. I’m not going to hurt you again I promise.”
“I don’t think I could live if I lost you again,” I squeezed him tighter. “Shower with me?”
“Like you need to ask,” Nick picked me up and brought me into the shower with our clothes still on. He turned the water on and we started kissing. He took my tank top off and threw it over the ledge as I did with his. Our arms roamed each other’s bodies trying to rediscover one another; it had been over six months since we last made love.
~*~*~*~
“Okay so I told Amber I’d meet her at White Sands beach, this time of day there should be quite a few people there, we’ll talk and get things figured out. I’ll call you after and we’ll have a special date tonight,” Nick told me as he walked around his house getting ready.
“And then I’ll meet you thereafter to watch the sunset and go to dinner and come back and watch a movie snuggling,” I hugged him with a big grin.
“I love you,” Nick gave me a kiss.
“Love you,” I kissed him back. Nick walked out the door and I sat down in front of the television to help distract my thoughts of Nick with Amber. My stomach felt knotted and I couldn’t shake the uneasiness I felt.
I flipped through the endless stations Nick had and stopped on a re-run of ‘One Tree Hill’; one of my favorite shows. I was interrupted an hour and half later when my phone rang, I looked down and saw it was Brian.
“Hey B,” I answered.
“Where are you?”
“Well, hello to you to too. Sheesh doesn’t anyone know how to be polite anymore these days? I mean come on, common courtesy people.”
“Hails, where are you?”
“Nick’s why?”
“Stay there I’m on my way over.”
“But—” the phone went dead. I couldn’t concentrate on the TV show any longer and waiting for Brian to come over. Within ten minutes Brian walked into the house in a hurry.
“Where’s Nick?”
“He’s out with Amber didn’t you know?” I said smugly.
“HE’S WHERE?!”
“Yeah I know but I have to trust him. She had to talk to him, something about the tour.” I started flipping through the stations.
“Stacie we have to go find Nick, where is he?”
“White Sands because we’re going to meet up later. What’s going on Brian?”
“I’ll tell you in the car, get your shoes on,” I turned the TV off and ran into Nick’s room and slipped on a pair of flip flops. Brian was on his phone trying to call Nick. “He’s not answering,” Brian’s eyes were focused on the road.
“Tell me what’s going on.”
“Your stalker was discovered to be Amber, she’s the one who has sent you email, phone calls, letters and she’s the one who set up that guy to try to hurt you.” I didn’t know what to say, I knew she was crazy but I just didn’t know why she would be out for me that way.
“I-I don’t understand, how did you find out?”
“When I gave your phone to security they were able to finally trace who’s phone it was that last sent you that message. It was to a guy named Billy, and he was the guy who attacked you that night. He apparently told the cops everything and they are out searching for Amber right now. I need to call the police to let them know where she may be.”
“Brian is Nick in harm?”
Brian had dialed 911 and was giving directions. After he hung up the phone he was quiet.
“Brian, tell me right now, is Nick in danger?”
“I’m not sure,” his eyes didn’t leave the road ahead.
“You’re lying to me, Brian Thomas you tell me right now.”
“The guy that was arrested, he said she was planning on…” his voice trailed off.
“Planning on what Bri?”
“Let’s just focus on getting to Nick okay?” Brian reached over and squeezed my hand. I took out my new cell phone that Nick had gotten me when the police had taken mine away. I called Nick and his voice mail picked up right away. My stomach was even more twisted than earlier and I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach.
We got to the beach and it was fairly isolated, it looked as though the tide was coming in and there might be a storm coming.
“I have no idea where they could be,” I told Brian looking out my rolled down window. Brian pulled into the public parking lot and we got out of the car. Brian continued to try Nick’s phone but got nothing.
“Nick’s car is right there,” I pointed to Brian. “So he has to be here.”
“Do you two have a special spot you go or anything here?” I thought for a minute as both were walking briskly in the sand.
“Nick we aren’t supposed to go up on these rocks, it says so on that sign.”
“Hailey live a little, I won’t let anything happen to you I promise.” Nick took my hand and walked along the jagged rocks that made a point out into the ocean. “You just need to see how great the sunset can be here.”
I shook my head from the memory and stopped in my tracks. I looked to my left down the beach and saw two small spots at the place I was thinking of. I took my flip flops off and began sprinting down the beach as fast as I could. The point was a good mile away and I ran as fast as my legs would take me. I felt my knee pop and give out on me and I fell onto the sand. Brian picked me up and I ignored the pain my knee was in and continued to run. As we reached the base of the rocks I notice the shiny object in Amber’s hand.
“Brian she has a gun,” I whispered to him breathing hard.
Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl
“Amber you need help, you don’t need to do this,” Nick tried for the hundredth time to reason with her.
“No Nick, I do not need help. Can’t you see, I just need you! I tried to make it subtle that didn’t work, I tried to play hard core and in your face that didn’t work. I gave my entire body to you one night and it wasn’t enough. I tried to get rid of your girlfriend, but she just won’t go away. I thought she would’ve broken down by now and gone to some insane institute but she’s too damn stubborn. “
“I don’t have feelings for you, I’m sorry but you just don’t pick who you love.”
“But I LOVE YOU NICK! She doesn’t love you; she’ll just end up killing you like she killed my best friend!”
“What are you talking about?”
“It was her idea to stop eating and she forced Kara to stop eating. She killed her.”
“Hailey didn’t even know you until the tour.”
“But she did, she just didn’t remember. We haven’t seen each other since we were ten. She made it so that Kara wouldn’t hang out with me any longer. She just takes away everyone I love and I will not have it. She shouldn’t even be on this planet but I’ll take care of her after you Nick. I will however give you one more option. We can either live happily ever after or you can die.”
“It doesn’t have to be this way. We can still be friends, I came today didn’t I?”
“You did but I want you all or nothing at all.” I heard a noise and tried to see what it was. There wasn’t another person miles away. My phone now belonged to the oceans so there was no way I could reach anyone.
“Stay there,” Amber flashed the gun towards me and walked towards the edge of some rocks. “Looks like we have a visitor. You stay, you get up here, NOW!” she now flashed the gun downward. I couldn’t see who she was talking to until Hailey made it to the top of the rocks.
“No,” I closed my eyes briefly. She wasn’t wearing shoes and she looked deep into my eyes.
“I should’ve guessed you would’ve made it this way. I mean I did see you and Nick here that one beautiful night. You’re just in time to say goodbye to each other.”
“You don’t know what you’re doing, you’re crazy!” Hailey yelled. ‘Not the time to be a bitch Hails,’ I thought to myself. Hailey took a step forward and Amber pointed the gun up to her head.
“Get away from her!” I yelled.
“Go ahead shoot me, the police are on their way anyway.”
“Nah not yet, I’m going to make you watch Nick die first.” Amber’s back was towards the ocean, I tried to keep my eyes off where I could see Brian trying to climb the rocks so that she wouldn’t see him. He was able to get all the way up what was to happen next happened so fast.
Brian was able to quietly get behind Amber, who still had the gun barrel pushed against Hailey’s temple. Brian’s foot slipped on a rock and Amber turned around fast facing him. Brian kicked Amber’s arm but she managed to still hold the gun, a gun shot went off and she pointed it towards me.
“Guess I have to do this sooner than planned and then take care of the rest of you. Nick, just know that before you die, I love you.” She turned the barrel to the next round, blew me a kiss and before I knew it Hailey tackled Amber down onto the rocks. Amber’s hand hit hard against a rock and the gun shot off before falling into the ocean. Amber lost her balance and to try to save herself from falling she pulled on Hailey. Hailey’s feet slipped on the wet rocks and she fell backwards into the ocean.
“HAILEY!” I yelled and looked around to find a way to get to her. He body was lying still among more rocks and the ocean was rising.


Brian now had Amber pinned down while she kicked and screamed. “Nick the police,” Brian said as the sirens became louder. I managed to get down to where Hailey’s body was.
“Hailey, baby, baby talk to me,” I was afraid to touch her because her body was in such an awkward position.
“Nick, I can’t move my legs.” Her eyes remained shut.
“It’s okay, help is on the way. Don’t try to move.” I looked to where I saw the police cars, I started to fear when I didn’t see any ambulances but I suppose they weren’t expecting something like this. The water was getting higher and I couldn’t move her head to keep it from submerging.
“Are you okay?” she asked now opening her eyes.
“I’m fine thanks to you.”
“Brian?”
“He’s okay, let’s just focus on you right now. What hurts?”
“I can’t feel anything Nick, God what if—” her eyes started to water and her breathing became faster.
“Come on you stay with me, let’s not add on an asthma attack with this. Can you squeeze my hand?” I took her hand into mine. I sighed with relief when she squeezed back and hard. “That a girl.”
Just then there was a squad full of police on the rocks and someone reading Amber’s rights.
“I need an ambulance right away and maybe a chopper,” an officer said into is radio on his vest. He made his way down into the water. “What’s your name?” he asked Hailey as he got behind her and put a hand on each side of her head to keep it stable.
“Hailey…James.”
“Hailey do you have any pain?”
“I can’t move my legs.”
“Okay we have an ambulance on the way. We need a rush on the ambulance; the victim is in the water with a possible spinal injury. High tide is coming. Over.”
“Nick—” her voice was panicked and I continued to hold her hand. Brian then came down to where we were.
“Shh its okay baby, concentrate on your breathing, can you do that for me?” I gently kissed her forehead. “I love you so much; you’re going to be just fine.” My own words became shaky.
“God,” I heard Brian whisper as he knelt down. “Hang in there Hails you’re okay.”
“If the tide get’s any higher before the ambulance or chopper comes, we’re going to have to keep her body as still as possible and keep her afloat.”
“The tide will be here within five minutes,” I told the officer. This beach was the same almost all the time. He nodded his head and two more officers came down, one with a medic bag.
“Hailey keep your eyes open for me,” the officer told her and I watched as her eyes struggled to stay open.
“So, I’m sorry Hails but I think we need to put our date on hold.” I saw her crack a small smile. “There’s my girl.”
“Nick-I, I’m having a…hard time…breathing.” She was wheezing and letting out small coughs.
“Keep breathing through your nose,” I told her. It was a trick she was able to use whenever she felt as though an asthma attack as coming. Just then we heard a chopper become louder and land on the beach. Two medics came running out with a back board and bag and pushed Brian and two officers out of the way.
“This is Hailey James, she was pushed from the top of those rocks up there. No complaints of pain, however she says she cannot feel her legs. She can squeeze with both hands and has asthma. I think she might be having an attack,” the officer told the medic who was putting on a neck stabilizer.
“Any allergies?”
“No but she did have heart surgery a year ago for a murmur,” I told the other EMT.
“Hailey we’re going to put this backboard under you and get you into the helicopter. From there, we’ll get you a nebulizer to help you breathe. We’re going to take good care of you. Is anyone here related to you?”
“No but Nick…he’s my boyfriend.”
“Nick you can come with us,” they finished getting the backboard strapped to her body and I helped the two EMT’s and officer walk her up to the beach where we got her into the helicopter.
“I’ll get you some dry clothes and meet you there,” Brian quickly gave me a hug and I jumped into the chopper. I held her hand and said a silent prayer: ‘God please watch out for Hailey, don’t take her away from me. I just got her back into my life and she’s been through so much and doesn’t deserve this happening to her.’
Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl
“Nick let’s go get some coffee or something,” Brian suggested as he watched me pace back and forth in front of him.
“No, I want to be here when the doctor comes back.”
“Nick, she’s in surgery, she’s going to be in there for a couple more hours they said. I’ll go get us coffee,” Brian got up, put a hand on my shoulder and I stopped moving. “She’s going to be okay.” I closed my eyes tight and only prayed that would be the truth. I started my pacing again, and tried to keep my mind open and optimistic. I was pulled from my thoughts with a pair of arms wrapping around me.
“Katie, hi.” I hugged her tighter.
“Have you heard anything yet?” her eyes were red; it looked as though she were crying.
“They said she hurt her spinal cord pretty bad and they have her in surgery.”
“She’s not going to be paralyzed is she?”
“I-I don’t know. She could move her arms but she couldn’t feel her legs. She was so scared going in, it wasn’t like her to be that way and she’s been through so much. It should’ve been me who had fallen…” I couldn’t keep the tears back any longer and they began rolling down my cheeks. Everything became so overwhelming that I couldn’t keep it in. I fell to my knees and Katie was beside me. Before I knew it Brian was next to me.
“Nick? What is it?” Brian put an arm around me.
“I can’t lose her Bri, not again, especially not forever.”
“You’re not going to; she’s going to need you more than ever now though. Come on let’s sit down, it’s going to be a while.” Brian helped me stand up and walk over to an empty seat, handed me a coffee and sat next to me. Katie sat on my other side and rubbed my back.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Five Hours Later*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~“Mr. Carter?” a doctor walked into the waiting room and pulled off his surgical mask.
“Yes?” I stood right up and walked up to him. “How is she, is she okay?”
“The surgery took longer than plan but it was successful. We had to pin in some disk and a rod to support her back but we had to also monitor her heart. Because of her previous heart murmur she did have some heart arrhythmias. We shocked it and it went back to normal. There is about a seventy percent chance that Anastasia may not walk again. However, with support and determination and physical therapy there is a bigger chance she’ll be walking.” I ran my hands through my hair and couldn’t get the idea of Stacie never walking again. I mean this was the girl who runs every day, dances and is constantly on the go.
“When can I see her?”
“She’s in the recovery room right now; it will be a little bit before she’s waking up from the anesthesia. You should just go home and get some rest, it’s already late. You’ll be informed with any other information; she made sure of that before going into surgery. She’s quite a pistol I think she’ll recover in no time.” He shook my hand and I watched him leave.
“It is almost midnight Nick, we should go home and get some sleep,” Brian told me.
“I’m going to stay.”
“Nick, Brian’s right you—”
“She wouldn’t leave me. You guys go, I’ll call you tomorrow.”
“You sure?” Brian asked.
“Yeah, thanks for everything Brian. Katie, thanks for coming down.” I gave them both a hug. Brian gave me one more look before heading out. I couldn’t help myself and walked up to the front desk. “Excuse me,” I said to lady who was filling out some papers.
“Hello Mr. Carter, how can I help you?”
“I know it’s late but I haven’t seen Anastasia since she was brought in over six hours ago and I just need to see her. I won’t wake her up I just need to see her.”
“She’s on the third floor, room 303, but I didn’t tell you?” she winked at me and went back to her paper work.
“Thank you!” I walked briskly over to the elevator and pressed floor three. My stomach had butterflies in it as the elevator opened and I walked down the hall to room 303. As I reached it, I took in a deep breath and slowly opened the door to not make a noise. I shut the door as quietly as I had opened it and moved closer to her bed. She was hooked up to a bunch of monitors, and she was lying flat on her back. Her pale skin blended with the white sheets. I felt myself becoming emotional again and tears stung my eyes. I pulled up a chair to her bed and sat in it.
“Hi Beautiful,” I whispered. “I’m so sorry this happened to you. If I could I would take your place.” I took her hand into mine and stood up. I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and brushed the back of my hand on her soft cheek. I sat back down, still holding her hand and before I knew it I fell asleep.
~*~*~*~
“Nick?” My head shot up when I heard my voice. It took me a minute to figure out where I was.
“Hailey? Oh, I’m so glad to see those eyes.” I stood up and leaned over her bed and gave her a kiss.
“Could I have some water?” she asked in a hoarse voice. I looked around and saw a pink pitcher of water and a glass next to her bed. I poured her a glass and brought it to her lips.
“Want me to go find you a straw?” I asked when I saw her struggling to get her head up enough.
“No, just a little help please.” I put my hand behind her head and gently lifted it up so she could take a few sips from her water. “Thanks.”
“How are you feeling baby, do you want me to go get a doctor?”
“I want to go home Nick.”
“Oh sweetie I know, we just have to wait until you get a little stronger.”
“I haven’t talked to a doctor yet Nick…am I going to walk again? Because I’ve been trying but I can’t move my legs, but I feel them.”
“The doctor said you have about a seventy percent chance of walking but it’s going to depend on how hard you’re willing to work during physical therapy. But I know you, and you’re going to get through this. I’ll be by your side during the whole thing.”
“Nick your tour; you can’t put it off any more.”
“Listen to me; I am with you through all of it. You can’t get rid of me. Now I’m going to buzz in a doctor so he can go over anything else you need him to.”
“Nick, I’m so sorry this all happened.”
“Shh, it’s all over now,” I gave her another kissed and hit her call button.
~*~*~*~
The three days passed slowly, I felt myself gaining strength each day but I was surprised at how much pain I was in every time I moved. My doctor had me doing physical surgery yesterday and I was using the bathroom and not a catheter so I was making some progress.
A nurse had just finished helping me get dressed when there was a knock on my room. The nurse opened the door and Nick came in with a bouquet of a dozen yellow and pink roses. I smiled when I saw him.
“Are you ready to rock and roll?” Nick grinned coming up to my bed. He handed me the roses and kissed me.
“She’ll just have to fill out some paper work on her way out but she’s more than ready I believe,” the nurse winked. “You take care,” she patted my shoulder and I thanked her.
“They’re beautiful Nick, thank you.” I smelled the roses.
“I just want you home in my arms. How are you feeling today, a lot of pain?”
“No, not really,” I lied smiling.
“So this is yours?” Nick asked pushing the black wheel chair up to the bed. I nodded my head and shrugged. “You won’t be in it too long,” he put the breaks down and put one arm under my legs, I put my arm around his shoulder and he wrapped his other arm around my waist. I took in a sharp breath as he lifted me up and placed me into my chair. He then took my bag and put on my lap, took the breaks off and pushed me out to the front desk to sign my release forms.
*~*~*~Nick’s Home~*~*~*
The ride home to Nick’s was quiet and I stared out the window for the most part. Nick got out, took my wheel chair out of the trunk and brought it to the passenger side of the car. He opened the door and I undid my seat belt.
“You want to try to get out or do you want me to lift you up?” So this is how it’s going to be, I thought.
“I’ll try, just keep the chair sturdy?” Nick nodded his head and held the chair. I took off the arm rest that was held in with two pins, set it next to me and put my hands on the chair. I lifted myself up shakily and started to pull myself over but couldn’t finish. Nick saw me struggle and helped me. After I was seated, he lifted my legs from the car and put them and the foot rests. “One day at a time, right?” he asked looking into my eyes.
“Right,” I whispered and he kissed my cheek.
“I’ll bring you in and then come get your things,” he pushed me up to the door, unlocked it and propped the door open. He had to tilt the wheel chair on the back wheels to get up over the stoop and then pushed me inside.
“It feels good to be home…well, with you.”
“Baby this is your home too,” he bent over and kissed the top of my head. We went into the living room and before I could react to what I saw I was overwhelmed with a great big “SURPRISE!” A.J., Howie, Kevin, Brian, Katie, Trisha and my brother Nathan.
“Welcome home girl,” Katie came and gave me a hug.
“Looking good beautiful,” A.J. gave me a kiss.
“If you ever scare me like that again, I will kill you,” Nathan wrapped his arms around me and kissed my cheek. “I’m sorry I couldn’t get here earlier.”
“It’s okay, I’m glad you’re here,” I smiled. I looked across the room and saw Brian leaning against the wall. His eyes were on the ground and I wheeled myself over to him. “Not going to say hi?” His eyes met mine but he didn’t say anything. His eyes were about to spill over with tears. “Brian?”
“God I’m so sorry,” he went to turn away but I reached up and grabbed his hand.
“Brian come here,” he fell to his knees and put his arms around me. The room grew quiet as his sobs got louder. “Bri what’s going on?” I looked up to Nick and he shrugged his shoulders as though he didn’t know what was wrong.
“I’m sorry,” he got up and walked out of the room and Nick and Kevin followed him.
“He’s been beating himself up for what happened,” Katie told me.
“Nick hasn’t said a thing about it. When I asked him why Brian hadn’t come seen me at the hospital he said he was just busy.”
“He blames himself, he’ll come around.” Howie said. “You’re looking great though Hailey.”
“Thanks. I’m happy all of you guys are here.”
“Well, we’re having a cook out and hanging. But we won’t be staying late because I’m sure you’ll want to sleep in a real bed. Now come on, let’s get you some real food.” Katie wheeled me to the kitchen where we went out the sliding glass door.
I ate salad and a turkey burger talking with my friends and brother when Nick came out.
“I bet that tastes like heaven unlike the hospital food,” he laughed.
“Oh it does,” I muffled with a mouthful. “B okay?”
“Well, he went home, he said he things to do. But he’ll come see you tomorrow.”
“Nick, don’t lie for him. What’s going on?”
“He thinks your accident is his fault and he can’t face you right now.”
“How? He saved our lives pretty much.”
“Give him some space babe. He’ll be alright. I’m going to get a plate, need anything else?”
“No thanks,” my voice trailed off as I thought of Brian.
Nick’s POV
As I piled food onto my plate I looked over to Hailey and felt a pain in my heart. I knew she wanted Brian to be there, the two of them had become real close. I watched as she tried to hide her worries and laugh through whatever anyone would talk about.
The next couple of hours everyone caught up with each other, and tried their best not to feel sorry for Hailey’s condition.
“And then A.J. dumped his drink all over my Dad’s shirt,” Trish laughed telling about the story of A.J. meeting her father for the first time. When I didn’t hear Hailey’s laughter I looked over and saw her grimacing and adjusting herself in her chair. I stood up and walked over to her.
“You need anything?”
“My back and legs are cramping up,” she whispered. I looked around and saw that everyone was done eating; Kristen and Kevin had cleaned up the mess.
“You should probably lie down; it’s been a long day for you.” She nodded her head closing her eyes briefly. “You’re hurting aren’t you?”
“I’m sorry, I love you for this party, I don’t want to ruin it.”
“Not at all, everyone is about done any way and your brother is spending the week here. They’ll understand.”
“Thank you,” she pulled on my neck and gave me a kiss.
“Welcome. Alright everyone hate to do it but it is time to call it a night. I am making this one here get some rest even though she doesn’t want to. Sorry baby,” I winked at her.
“We should actually head out, it’s getting late. We will call you soon Hailey. Keep staying strong.” Kevin gave me her hug and kiss.
“Thanks for coming,” she hugged back. She said her goodbyes to everyone and we went back into the house.
“Have a good time?” Nathan asked Hailey.
“I did. You?”
“I’m just glad you’re alright. Hails?”
“Yes?”
“Do you want to come home? I can take care of you ya know?”
“You can’t leave your job.”
“I can make something work, I told Mom I’d protect you and I haven’t done such a great job of that.”
“It’s okay, you’ve done great with me. I’m a big girl you can’t protect me 24/7 Nate. But Nick can take care of me too. We are really trying to make this work; I want to be with him.”
“I know, he’s a good guy for you.” Hailey nodded her head.
“I need to lie down Nathan, see you in the morning?”
“You got it.”
“Ready to head up?” I asked her.
“Yeah, you ready to carry my ass?” she laughed.
“Always,” I smiled at her and picked her up carefully. She lied her head on my shoulder and I brought her up to my room. Gently lying her down on my bed I sat on the edge of the bed. “Better?”
“A lot, help me with my P J’s?”
“Like you have to ask,” I took off the pair of jean shorts she had on and slipped off her tee shirt. “God you have an amazing body,” I softly rubbed my hand on her tummy. “How about you just wear one of my tee shirts?”
“I would love to,” she smiled and propped herself up on her elbows as I slipped one of my tee’s over her head. “Alright, I need to go to the bathroom, brush my teeth and wash my face.”
“Someone is demanding tonight,” I laughed, scooped her up and brought her into the bathroom. “How do you want to do this?”
“Set me on the toilet, I can go to the bathroom myself,” she laughed. “But then you’ll have to bring me to the sink. How about you go get my chair?”
“I was planning on it,” I lifted the toilet lid and set down on it. “I’ll be back up in a minute.” She nodded her head and I walked out of the bathroom to get her chair. I carried it up the steps and then pushed it into my room and knocked on the door.
“I’m ready,” I heard her say. I opened the door and pushed her chair in and helped her into it. I handed her her toothbrush and paste. We brushed our teeth together and she had to lean over the sink to spit but was happy at how well she was able to move around. I helped her wash her face and then pushed her into my room.
“This is going to get old,” she sighed as she watched me take my shirt off and slide out of my jeans.
“Hey it can only get easier from her though you have to remember,” I picked her up and set her on the bed. She winced a little and whispered ‘sorry’.
“I know but it’s still frustrating. I mean I don’t get it, I can feel my legs, I feel when you touch them or when I do but I’m constantly trying to even move my toes and I just can’t.”
“Your nerve when through damage and they need to heel like the doctor said. I think when you start physical therapy on a regular base you’ll get there.”
“Nick, are you sure you’re okay with me being here? I know it’s going to be a lot for you to take care of me and I could go home with my brother, I just—”
“Shh,” I put a finger up to her lips. “I want to do this more than you’ll know. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on anything else if you were gone.”
“I love you Nick.”
“And I love you Hailey James,” I gave her a long kiss and we fell asleep.
Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl
Nick’s POV continue.
I was woken up from stirring in the bed and I saw Hailey struggling to sit up.
“Hails, what are you doing?” I rubbed my eyes and turned the light on.
“I’m sorry for waking you.”
“It’s fine, you’re hurting aren’t you?”
“No, I’m okay. Go back to sleep.” She adjusted the pillow under her head.
“I’m going to get you a Codeine pill,” I glanced at the clock and it was only one am. I pulled the sheets off my legs and went into the bathroom.
I opened up the cabinet, took out her pills and read the label. I put one into my hand, put some water into a glass and went back into the room. I put the pill and glass onto the night stand and sat on the edge of the bed. “Put your arm around my neck,” I helped her sit up and propped a few pillows behind her. I handed her the pill and she put it into her mouth and took a sip of water.
“Thanks,” she took another sip. I tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled at her.
“Do you need anything else baby?”
“Try to hold me?” I looked at her for a moment thinking of how she could be comfortable in my arms. I climbed into bed, put my arms around her and gently pulled her to me. I got her so was on her stomach, her head on my chest and my arms around her waist.
“How’s this?”
“Perfect,” she nuzzled her head under my neck and gave me a small squeeze. I kissed the top of her head and closed my eyes, falling asleep within minutes.
~*~*~*~*~Four A.M~*~*~*~*
“Nick, Nick wake up,” Hailey shook me awake.
“Hmm, what is it?”
“I feel like I’m going to be sick.” I sat up as quick as I could without moving her too much, got her so she was sitting up against the head board and grabbed the trash can next to the bed. I put it in her lap and within seconds of it being there she began throwing up. I held her long hair back and rubbed her shoulders.
“Shh, it’s alright baby.”
“It hurts so much Nick,” she cried and got sick again. “I can’t sit up anymore,” she dropped her head back but as soon as she did that she leaned over the trash and got sick. I got behind her and straddled so I could help keep her up right. I didn’t know what to do and wasn’t sure why exactly she was even getting sick. For the next twenty minutes she continued to throw up and for the most part had the dry heaves. “I think I’m done,” her voice was hoarse and body weak.
“Here drink some water, I’m going to get you a cold wash cloth,” I handed her the water.
“And some mouth wash please?” she half laughed. I smiled and went into the bathroom again, ran the water on cold and soaked a wash cloth. I wrung it out, grabbed the mouth wash and went back into the bedroom. I opened the mouth wash and handed it to her. She took a swig from it and swished her mouth for a minute and then spat it into the trash can. I put the can onto the floor and put the wash cloth on her head.
“That took a lot out of you didn’t it?” she nodded her head and tried to push herself to lay down. I helped her and dabbed the wash cloth around her face and neck.
“I think it was the pain killer.”
“I’ll call the doctor tomorrow and get you a different one,” I took a pillow and lifted up her legs and placed it under. “This should help relieve some pain.” She nodded her head and eyes were heavy. “I’m so sorry baby,” I kissed her forehead. “I’m going to clean this out; you try and get some sleep.” Her eyes were closed and I pulled the sheets over her. I took another look at her before taking the trash can into the bathroom to wash it out.
At this point of the night I was wide awake and it was five am. I lied back down on the bed and just watched her sleep. I couldn’t seem to take my eyes off her; it was as though I were afraid to.
Hailey’s POV
A week has passed and things have been busy. Nathan had gone home yesterday; I’ve been going to physical therapy every other day and doing home therapy every day with Nick. Although I’ve gotten a lot stronger physically, the emotional strength seemed to become harder to keep. Nick’s been nothing but amazing and supportive.
“Hey you, you up to some therapy?” Nick asked me. I was lying on the couch reading a book.
“Eh,” I kept my eyes on the pages.
“I’ll take that as a yes? Come on,” he took the book out of my hand and set it on the coffee table. I moaned and rolled my eyes.
“I’m sore today,” I sat up.
“That’s good. Means your muscles are getting worked,” Nick pushed the coffee table to the couch and picked me up. He set me on the ground and knelt next to me.
“I have a better idea,” I grinned, pulled Nick’s shirt towards me and he fell down close my face.
“Careful, I don’t want to hurt you.” His voice was serious. I went to pull him in for a kiss and he turned his face.
“So, let’s get started.” He sat up, put a pillow under my head and picked up my right leg. He can began to move it back and forth slowly. My mind wasn’t on the pain but on the thought of how Nick had been the last couple of days. We haven’t kissed kissed since the night I came home. “How are you doing? Need a break?”
“I’m good.” I let out a sigh. “Want to go to a movie tonight?” I asked.
“How about we rent?”
“Alright…?” He set down my leg and picked up my right one and began do the exercises.
“Actually, I was thinking do you want to call Katie over and chill?”
“Sure. How about Brian, have you heard anything from him?”
“I talked to him briefly two days ago. He’s still being distant.” Nick shrugged. I still haven’t been able to talk or see Brian.
“Oh.” I thought for a minute. “Nick?”
“Hmm?” his concentration was on my leg.
“He’s staying in that beach house for a while right?”
“Yeah.”
“Let’s go see him. Maybe he needs us.”
“I don’t know, I don’t want you to over do it.”
“I’m fine. Moving around and getting around is the best thing for me the doctor said.” Nick was quiet. “Nick.”
“I’ll think about it.”
“Come on, you know I’m right.”
“Here, let’s try to do your sit ups.” He put my leg down.
“You’re avoiding the situation,” I told him, struggling with my sit up. The more of these I would do, the easier for me to move around my own it would become.
“You did three yesterday, let’s go for five today.” I lied back down and sat up again.
“Let’s go for ten,” I flashed a smile doing another.
“Let’s not push.”
“You know that’s what I need though. You’re to be my coach,” I winked sitting up again; I gave Nick a kiss on his cheek.
“More like to make sure you don’t push yourself too hard. You’re on four come on, one more.” I did one more, this one being the hardest and I blew out air as I sat up.
“One more now,” I said matter as a matter of fact and lied down. I struggled to get five in and got half way up but didn’t make it. I tried it one more time but my back was tight.
“Tomorrow, let’s get you standing.”
“How about we practice this in the shower,” I rose my eye brow smiling. “You can hold me in there; I do my standing, our bodies against each other.
“That’s probably not the safest idea.”
“Oh come on, what’s the fun in physical therapy if we can’t make it kinky?” Nick picked me up in his arms.
“The fun is in the future when you’re able to walk. Now keep your arms around my neck.” I didn’t understand the standing thing when it was really not even me standing. It was basically Nick or a harness at the P.T. building keeping me up. But this was the fourth day doing it and each day became less painful, and it was supposed to do something for my blood circulation. I put my arms around Nick’s neck; he placed me onto my feet but kept a tight hold on me. “You alright?” he asked.
“I’m fine,” I looked up at him and tried to meet his eyes. “What’s going on with you?”
“What do you mean?” he asked still not looking at me.
“You’re acting like Brian.”
“I think that’s good for now,” he lifted my legs up and placed me on the couch.
“Nick what’s wrong?”
“Nothing. I just didn’t sleep last night. I’m fine,” he pecked my lips and stood up.
“Why don’t you go take a nap?”
“I’m fine down here with you.”
“Nick, you haven’t left my side all week. I’ll just sit here and read. You go take a nap.” He looked at me intently. “GO!” I laughed.
“Just call my cell if you need anything or if you start having bad cramping.”
“I will now go.” He nodded his head and I watched as Nick went up the stairs. I couldn't figure out if he was just frustrated at the situation we were in or if he was tired of taking care of me; or if it was something completely different?
Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl
A Week Later
“Brian, its Hailey. Please call me back, I miss you. Something’s going on with Nick, I know he needs you these days; I’m kind of a handful. But yeah, give me a call, love ya.” I hung up the phone and wheeled myself into the kitchen.
“Hey get a hold of him?” Nick asked squirting mustard on a turkey sandwich.
“No. I left a message.”
“I may go stop in and see him tomorrow. Ready for lunch?”
“I’m not really hungry.”
“It’s two pm, you didn’t eat breakfast and they worked you hard in therapy today.”
“More like hardly worked. How is it working when the guy is doing all the movement with my legs and back and everything?”
“Because you can still feel it in your body and I know it takes a lot out of you. You want turkey or ham?”
“I told you Nick—”
“And I am telling you I am NOT doing this eating/not eating anymore with you. Your body is trying to heel and YOU are just tearing it apart. DAMMIT HAILEY!” He slammed his fists on the counter and I kind of jerked back. Without saying anything, I turned my wheel chair around and just headed back into the living room. I wanted to run, I wanted to go up the stairs and lock myself in the room or go for a walk or run but I couldn’t do any of that. Nick hadn’t yelled at me that way since we were broken up and I didn’t know how to take it.
“Hailey, Hails, I’m sorry,” Nick walked into the living room. I continued to stare out the window, not saying anything. “I just want you to be you again.” I shot my head up and looked at him.
“I am trying everything to be me Nick. The only difference is that I can’t walk and you make that unforgettable to me every day. You know what; I’m not doing this, just leave me alone.” He didn’t say anything and took a step towards me. “GO!” I yelled.
“FINE!” Nick yelled back, I heard him take his keys off the hook and he slammed the door behind him. I moved to the couch, took off the one arm rest and placed it on the ground.
“Who does he think he is yelling at me like that. It’s not like I was trying to starve myself…was I?” I questioned myself. I put one hand on the couch and one pushed me off chair and I started to pull myself over when my back cramped up. I cried out in pain and fell to the ground. Although Nick has been by my side since I had been home, I had felt alone. And now that he wasn’t there I was more alone than ever.
My cell phone on the coffee table began ringing and I sat up and dragged myself over to it, tears of frustration and pain slipping down. I reached the phone and lied flat on the ground. Without looking to see who it was I answered.
“Hello?”
“Hailey?”
“Brian!”
“Are you okay, you sound like you’re crying.”
“Nick and I got into a fight, I went to go on the couch and I fell.”
“I’ll be right over,” Brian hung up the phone and I closed it, letting it drop to the ground. Within ten minutes the door opened. “HAILEY?!” Brian’s voice boomed in the foyer.
“Living room,” I started to push myself to the upright position.
“What happened, where’s Nick?” He started to move me.
“No wait, it hurts too much,” I cried.
“What do you want me to do?” His eyes were worried.
“I don’t know? It usually goes away after a little bit.” I lay my head back down on the ground. “If you put a pillow under my legs, that sometimes helps. Brian got off his knees and looked around. Nick didn’t have any throw pillows but he found a blanket and rolled it up. He lifted up my legs and placed it under my knees.
“What was the fight about?” he brushed my hair back and I told him.
“I don’t even know if it really was about all that. He’s just been so, well not Nick since the whole thing. He’s been great don’t get me wrong but I feel like I have a nurse, not a boyfriend.”
“But you haven’t been eating again?”
“I just seriously haven’t had the appetite lately. But he won’t even kiss me so maybe subconsciously I wasn’t eating thinking that I’ve been getting fat from not being able to work out and maybe that’s why he won’t touch me…”
“If anything, you look skinnier and you’re still just as beautiful so maybe something else is up with him. How’s the pain?”
“It’s almost gone.”
“Want me to put you on the couch?”
“In a minute.” I looked into Brian’s eyes. “Bri, why haven’t you, ya know, come seen or talk to me? I’m sorry for everything that happened and putting Nick’s life in danger and yours.”
“Are you kidding me, I feel like I shouldn’t have let you go up those rocks. We should’ve waiting until the police came, or I should’ve gone up first.”
“Nick may be dead and who knows with you. It’s not your fault.” Brian looked up to the ceiling and let out a sigh. “I need you B.” I reached my hand up to his face and looked down at me; a tear dropping from his chin. I began to push myself up and Brian helped me, I wrapped my arms around him as he did with me.
“I’m sorry, I just, was scared and blamed myself.”
“I know, it’s alright.”
“Hailey?” Nick’s voice interrupted us. “Brain? What?”
“He had called me just as you had left, I took a slight spill and he came over.” I explained to Nick.
“Are you alright? Are you hurt?”
“I just had a back cramp. It’s feeling better though. Could you get me off the ground Bri?” he nodded his head and brought me onto the couch. “I think I may take a nap actually.” I told them knowing they would want to talk.
“Want me to take you up stairs?” Nick asked.
“Sure,” I shrugged a shoulder. Nick gently lifted me up. “Call me later Brian.”
“Promise.” Nick brought me up stairs and into his room. He set me on the bed and sat next to me.
“Hails I shouldn’t have walked out earlier, I mean look what happened.”
“Nick, if that’s your only reason then we have problems. Look just go talk to Brian, I’m going to take a nap.” I turned my head to the wall. I waited for Nick to kiss my cheek or say something but he didn’t. A minute later he got up and left the room.
Nick’s POV
I closed the bedroom door and wanted to go lay down with her. I myself for some reason felt extremely tired and I felt guilty for leaving her earlier. Something kept me though and I went down stairs to talk to Brian. He was sitting on the couch.
“She alright?” he asked.
“Yeah. She gets pretty tired easily these days.” I took a seat next to him and he nodded his head. “How’ve you been? I haven’t really talked to you in a while.”
“I know, I’m okay. Just the whole thing kind of messed me up.”
“I know what you mean.”
“So, want to tell me what’s been bothering you?” Brian asked me.
“Everything’s been fine, well until today.”
“Nick,” Brian warned.
“I don’t know Rok, she’s just, I feel like she’s going to break at any time. The one time I do leave her, she gets hurt and if you hadn’t called who knows what would’ve happened.”
“She would’ve been fine, it was only a cramp and you would’ve been home within a half hour. I mean why did you come home so early?”
“I was worried about her.”
“Nick she tells me that she thinks of you as her nurse and not boyfriend. That’s kind of gross to think of you in a mini outfit but hey.”
“I’m just trying to get her back on her feet.”
“Then be there for her Nick.”
“I am there for her, 24/7.”
“Do you guys hang out, do you kiss, or make love or do you guys do therapy and make small talk over meals and watching T.V?” My eyes dropped down to my hands and knew Brian was right. “Why Nick? Are you falling out of love, do you not feel the same way as youused to?”
“No, I love her more than ever. I am completely in love with her and she’s been more than amazing through all this but Brian it’s so hard to watch her go through everything . She’s in pain almost all through the day, mentally and physically. I see her wanting to cry but she won’t shed a tear. She has nightmares but when I ask her about them she brushes them off as though it didn’t happen. It’s been over two weeks but still it’s been so little time and I’m already ready to break.” My voice cracked at the last part and tears threatened to fall.
“Nick, I’m sorry I haven’t been there man. You don’t need to do this on your own though. I’ll stay and help out.” Brian pulled me in for a hug and I let the tears go. Brian was the only one of the guys that I could actually cry in front of.
“I just don’t want to lose her and I want her to be happy. I mean I’ll still love her even if she is in that chair for the rest of her life but she doesn’t deserve this.”
“Nick, she’ll be walking again. I know it.”
Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl
Nick’s POV *warning this chapter is for a mature audience only*
After Brian had gone home, I made plans to take Hailey out on a much needed date. Dinner, movie and then back home for dessert. I let her sleep until about five and then went up stairs to wake up her. I opened the door and saw her sleeping peacefully. I went up to the bed, sat on it and leaned over her, giving her a kiss.
“Nick?”
“Hey you, how are you feeling?”
“Better,” she rubbed her eyes. “Why are you looking at me like that?”
“I love you.” She looked at me like I was crazy. “And I’ve been a total jerk without even meaning to. But tonight, I’m going to make it up to you.”
“You don’t have to Nick, I know I’ve been a pain.”
“I want to,” I kissed her neck.
“Nick,” she whispered closing her eyes. Her fingers went through my hair and pulled my face to her’s kissing me hard. I smiled and pulled away.
“Come on,” I picked her up.
“I’d rather stay right here kissing you though,” she laughed. I gave her a wink and brought her into the bathroom. I had the bathtub full with bubbles; candles were lit around it and rose petals traced from the ground, up the bathtub steps and in the tub.
“Nick—” she whispered, her eyes widening.
“I’ve been a jerk lately. I’m sorry.”
I set her on a step, kissed her and took her shirt off. I kissed her collar bone, down her beasts, her stomach and slid her jeans off. I ran my hands on her thighs, down her shins and kissed her knees. I picked her back up and set her into the warm bath. I took my shirt off, with my jeans and boxers and slid into the water with her. She pulled me to her kissing my lips, neck and ears.
“God you’re so beautiful, how could I have taken you for granted. I’m so sorry baby,” I whispered into ear.
“Shh,” she put her lips on mine and I pulled her body on top of mine, not breaking our kiss. I pulled away for a brief moment looking into her eyes, trying to read if she wanted it go any further. She bit her lower lip and nodded her head smiling. Her arms were around my neck and gently pulled her closer to me. My lower extremities finding hers and we both let out a low moan as I entered her body.
"I want you Nick," she breathed heavily and tilted her head back as I moved in and out. I could feel her arm muscles tighten around my neck trying to move her body with the rhythm.

"You can have all of me," I kissed her deeply.

"I wish I could make it as good for you as it is for me," she said between kissing my neck.

"You have no idea how amazing you are do you?" I knew she had been referring not being able to use her legs or hips to help her intensify but it honestly had no affect. Everything felt amazing and I knew it did for her as she let out a moan.
~*~*~*~*~*~An Hour Later*~*~*~*~*~*
“I love you,” Hailey told me giving me a kiss as I set her on our bed.
“I love you.”
“So, what are we doing tonight?”
“Dinner, movie, and a little surprise. What do you want to wear?”
“Hmm, my white sun dress. It’s in the closest.” Nick got out my clothes and I took them and got dressed as he did. I began brushing my hair on the bed and felt myself get tired and lied down. Nick came into the room wearing plaid shorts and a white polo shirt.
“You alright?” he asked putting some deodorant on.
“Yeah, just a little tired,” I smiled.
“Do you want the hair dryer?”
“Eh, just the gel, I’ll leave it wavy tonight.” Nick disappeared into the bathroom and came out with my gel and handed it to me. I squirted it into my hand and ran my fingers through my hair with it. Nick and I finished getting ready and by seven we were in the car headed out for dinner.
Nick parked his car at Biagi’s Italian Restaurante, opened the truck and took out the wheel chair. He opened the door for me and I pulled myself over. He helped fix my legs and I pulled my dress down a little to make sure I wasn’t exposing myself.
“Ready?” he asked. I nodded my head and he pushed me into the restaurant. Nick gave his name to the hostess and I was impressed he had made reservations. We were seated immediately and taken towards the back of the restaurant where there was a private booth. Nick picked me up and set me in the booth and the hostess folded up my wheel chair and put it to the side.
“I didn’t think you wanted to eat dinner in that for the next two ours, this okay?” Nick asked taking a seat next to me.
“Perfect.”
Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl
Hailey's POV:

A couple weeks have passed, Nick and I were more of a couple again and things were looking up. I was outside by the pool working on my tan and Nick had gone inside to take a phone call. I was reading a People magazine when all of a sudden my left foot flinched and it became tingly.

I lowered the magazine down and watched my right foot did the same. As this happened I sat up a little and attempted to move my toes. To my surprise I was able to move all ten and even my legs a little.

"N-NICK!" I called out, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. I pushed my sunglasses on top of my head. "NICK!" I called again and he came jogging out of the house and to me.

"What is it, are you alright?" he knelt down and looked me in the eyes.

"Look," I whispered and threw my chin down to my legs. Nick looked down and watched as I moved my feet up and down. "I can feel them."

"Baby, that's amazing! You can feel your entire legs?"

"Yeah," I nodded my head. Nick pulled me in for a hug and kissed me hard.

"I think we should go to your physical therapist today. I know its your day off but I think we should."

"I think so too," I smiled and wrapped my arms around Nick's neck nd he picked me up; bringing me in the house to get dressed.

"You know what this means baby," Nick smiled putting a tee shirt on and slipping a pair of shorts over his swim trunks.

"We don't know yet Nick, it could just be-"

"Have faith," he kissed my forehead and brought me to his car; putting the wheel chair in.

After a twenty minute drive we arrived at the building and Nick got out, took the chair out and pushed it to the passanger side. I opened the door and slid myself over.

Nick pushed me in and my therapist, Dave came up to us.

"What brings you in today? A little extra work out? Or problem?" he asked looking down at me.

"This," I pointed down to my feet and was able to push them off of the foot rest after a minute of trying to move them.

"You can feel your legs?" he asked ask he told Nick to follow him into the the work out room. Nick pushed me up to a table, Dave picked me up and sat me on a table.

"I can and can kind of move them, so Nick thought I should make a visit."

"I'm glad you did, do you have any pain?" he asked moving my legs in and out.

"They feel really tight but they don't hurt; they're heavy almost."

"It's because of the muscle fatigue and atrafiene. Here lay down," he adjusted a pillow behind my head and brought my legs up onto the table. "How is your back when I do this?" he asked rotating my legs to the side.

"A little sore," I looked at Nick who had his arms crossed and was watching Dave intently.

Dave took my shoes off and then ran his pen on the bottom of my foot. It jumped a little and he did the same on my other one. He then helped me sit up, so my legs dangled over the table and he hit my knee cap. My leg jumped and he repeated to the right side; this one however did not jump.
He hit again and nothing.

"What does that mean?" I asked

"It may not mean anything yet. But I think it's safe to say, you're going to be walking in no time." He smiled.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Your reflexes are coming back, you have them on the bottom of your feet, your right knee just might be laging a little. But if you thought therapy has been hard so far, you're in for a ride. Getting your muscle back is going to take time, committment and most likely painful."

"But she will walk again," Nick said putting an arm around me.

"I believe so. What you need to keep doing is practicing to move your feet, try to move your legs as much as possible. The more movement you are able to do, the sooner we can get you standing and walking."

"So what do we do today?" I asked eagerly.

"I'd like to put some stim on you to help move your muscles. Then we'll work on some movement. Until you can fully move your legs in and out, lying on your back and lift them up off the ground a bit, we'll just do therapy here every two days."

"But I can do it at home every day?"

"Of course. I'll go get things set up. Congratulations Hailey," he smiled and patted me on the back.

"So, he said as long as I keep at the therapy I can be walking in no time! I know it's great! I miss you too, I'll try to come home to visit soon, or you can always come here too! Okay, love you. Bye!" I closed my cell phone and then re-opened it.

"Now who are you calling?" Nick laughed at my excitement about my news.

"Brian!"

"Didn't you already call him?"

"Well, I left a message."

"So, maybe he's busy."

"So, maybe he's...Brian hi! Good, I just wanted to, you're where?" The door bell rang and Brian walked in side.

"Here," he laughed. "So, I got a call from you and texts from Nick saying to call you."

"How are you here? I thought it was your week with Bailey?" I asked.

"No, I just finished, I get him again Saturday. But we have the tour stuff to go over, so I came here to meet with the guys."

"Tour stuff?" I asked looking from Brian over to Nick.

"Uh, yeah." Nick ran a hand through his hair.

"You haven't told her yet?" Brian asked.

"Tell me what?" I raised an eye brow at Nick.

"I was going to tell you today but then you called me out as I had just gotten off the phone...they want us to do a small North America tour. It's just like tweleve cities. I was going to ask you to come but now, I don't know what to do because you are going to need to be near therapy."

"What's going on?" Brian asked looking at me.

"I can kinda move my legs and feel them."

"What?! That's great Hails!" Brian leaned down and gave me a hug.

"Thanks. And Nick, I can hang on my own. I mean tweleve cities is just like what three weeks?"

"Five, we have a couple shows like in NY at different places."

"When do you leave?"

"In two and half weeks. I can turn them down now, we can post pone again and-"

"Nick, you are not doing anything like that. You've done God knows enough for me. I know you miss the performing. I can have one of my girls bring me to therapy and I can get around the house fine with you."

"But you can't do the stairs."

"Nick, I will manage."

"Maybe I can get a nurse for you."

"Nick really, I'll be fine. Brian tell him I'll be fine."

"I don't know maybe we should get someone to stay with you."

"Dave did say this part of rehab is going to be painful. I can't leave you when you need me the most."

"Baby, I need you to trust me in this. I know things are going to be fine." I reached my hand out and Nick took it.

"I do trust but-"

"But nothing,' I cut him off and pulled him in for a kiss.

"You're kinda amazing, you know that?" he smiled.

"I know," I winked.

"I think we need to celebrate. Let's go out to dinner!" Brian said.

"Good idea, let me go shower." Nick said and bounded up the stairs.

"So, thats great news for you huh? I knew you'd be walking, and it's been a long few months for you."

"Yeah." I smiled.

"You okay with Nick leaving?"

"I am, it's a little scary, not going to lie."

"Hon, we can get someone to stay with you or we can really try to bump the tour."

"You've had to do that enough times already. And I need to find me again and learn to take care of myself. It will be good for the both of us."

"I think you're right."

"How is everything with you?" I watched as he shrugged his shoulders.

"I miss my family but what can ya do?"

"You have family right here B, you know I love you."

"I know. And you know I love you!" He took the handles of my wheel chair and popped me into a wheely and began pushing me around the house.

"What are you doing with her?" Nick asked as he came down the stairs, his hair going every which way.

"Uh-dancing?" Brian smirked.

"Come on lets go get some grub, I'm hungry." Nick whined.
"You're always hungry," Brian and I said in unison.
Chapter 11 by openarmsgirl
Four Weeks Later
"Hello?" I answered my phone, tying on my shoes.

"Hey there good lookin'" Nick's voice on the other end replied.

"Hey you, how are you?"

"Tired, it's been a week and I'm exhausted."

"Where are you now?"

"California."

"Nick its like four am there!"

"I know but I knew you'd be up."

"You're just getting in aren't you?"

"Maybe," Nick said and I could almost see him smiling.

"Party?"

"Yeah just a small one."

"Hellooo?" a voice came from the front.

"Come in Bryce!"

"Ahh, your ride is there I hear." Bryce has been a close friend of Nick's for years now and before Nick left he had Bryce promise him he'd look after me.

"Yeah. You go get some sleep, call me tonight after your show."

"Okay, good luck at therapy."

"Love you."

"Love you Hails." Nick hung up and Bryce was behind me.

"Love you too!" Bryce spun me around and kissed me.

"Ew dog breath!" I joked.

"You love me. You ready girl? I thought after therapy today we could go to the beach?"

"Didn't you just come from there?" I asked as I wheeled to the front door.

"Yes but when is the last time you've been to the beach?"

"I told you, the water freaks me out!"

"Well, it wont when I get done with you. Let's go and get you moving!" Bryce helped me into his car and made our way to physical therapy.

"So you really think you'll be able to walk in time for Nick's birthday?"

"That's my goal. I have no choice the party is already set up and ready to go in three weeks. I can stand and today we're trying to walk."

"Yeah, I don't like this Dave guy."

"Bryce you tell me that every time you bring me. I'm goin to start having Karen bring me."

"I don't know why you can't drive. You can move your feet."

"Safety, insurance thing. Now, no comments. Are you staying or going?"

Bryce put the car in park.

"Oh, I'm staying, like I said; I don't like this Dave character." I shook my head and Bryce got out my wheel chair and brought it to the passanger side. I slid myself over and he pushed me inside.

~*~*~*~An hour later~*~*~*~Bryce's POV
"Okay Hailey, your movement is improving tremendously. You should be very proud of yourself," Dave told her with his hand on her shoulder and one on her thigh.

"I am and I'm in like no pain!"

"That's great. I'd like to get over to those bars over there and try walking some more today. Your goal is to be walking in three weeks, correct?"

"Preferably without crutches."

"We'll see. Okay I'll wheel you over there." I watched as he picked her up and put her into her wheel chair and push over to the parallel bars.

"Bars were not my favorite event," Hailey joked as she put an arm around DAVE and stood up.

"Oh yeah? What was your best?"

"Well, beam was my best but my favorite was floor. So, are you going to help me all the way?"

"Of course, I'll keep my hands around your waist, you keep your hands on the bars and we'll just move nice and slow."

"Sounds good."

"Isn't that harness supposed to help her, not your hands?" I asked walking up to the two.

"Bryce," Hailey warned.

"It is but Hailey is much more advanced in her movement. If she wasn't then I would have her use it. Okay Hails, one foot at a time." I watched as she took a deep breath in and let it out slowly as she moved her left leg. Her right leg followed but I watched her face cringe a little.

"You're doing great Hailey."

"Something doesn't feel right," she said, keeping her eyes looking down at her feet as she moved her left leg again.

"Maybe she needs a break," I said

"No, you need to keep going its the only way you're going to reach your goal." Dave said. "You were in a competitive sport for years, you know how to be pushed."

Hailey nodded her head, looked at me briefly and continued to walk. She made it almost half way when I watched as her right leg gave out and cried out.

"I have ya, you're okay," Dave said with his arms under hers. I had stepped forward when I saw her fall.

"My right knee just isn't moving the way it should be it feels."

"Let's just finish up, we'll get you down all the way and call it a day."

"Did you not hear her? I think she should stop now," I said my voice rising.

"I think you need to go to the waiting room. I'm her physical theripst, I know what's best. Hailey how are you feeling?"

"Umm, I guess I can continue. As long as I'm not hurting myself, right?"

"No, you're doing just fine hon." Hailey stood all the way up, she brought her right leg up to her chest and back down trying to loosen her knee. It took her about five minutes but she was able to make it to the end of the bars.

"Rice could you bring her chair over please," Dave asked me.

"It's Bryce," I mumbled and pushed her chair over as she sat down.

"I think we should do the pool tomorrow so bring your suit."

"Okay thanks."

"If you start to get sore, ice/cold therapy girl. Good work today." He nodded at me and I did my best not to knock him out right there.

"You ready babe?" I asked and she nodded her head. I pushed her out to the car and opened her door. I watched she struggled to lift herself up and bring her legs in, I helped her and closed the door.

"You didn't have to be so rude to Dave,"she said as I got in.

"The guy is an idiot. I'm surprised Nick has stuck with him for this long."

"You're not coming tomorrow."

"Hell I'm not, especially if you're going to be in a swim suit around the creep." Hailey shook her head. "Look,I'll try to be more laid back, you're like a sister to me."

"I know I'm sorry. I just wish Nick were here."

"I imagine its hard after being with him 24/7."

"Well, soon enough. How about a rain check to the beach. You look like your ass has been kicked." Hailey laughed.

"If you don't mind."

"Not at all lil' lady."
"I don't get why he has to be in the pool with you, or why we can't do this at Nick's together."

"Bryce, how about in case I start to drown."

"Did you have to wear a two piece though?"

"I don't own a one piece suit! Relax."

"I can't help it, the guy is so touchy feely."

"He is a little but that's his job, think about it. Now, you go read your Sports Illustrated and I'll do my therapy and we'll do lunch and go to the beach."

"I told Nick I'd call him."

"It's like seven am there."

"He has an interview at a radio show."

"I want to talk, that's not fair."

"You guys talk every night."

"You don't tell him my progress do you?"

"I just tell him that you're at the same place where you were when he left but you're still working hard and doing well."

"Okay good. Now, go behave. Send my love."

"Yeah yeah." Bryce walked away and Dave entered the room wearing his swim trunks.

"How are we today?" Dave smiled.

"A little sore but it feels good to be sore like this."

"So, it's a more, 'I've been using my muscles' kind of sore."

"Yeah."

"Excellent. Well, we'll just do like twenty minutes of pool time, I want to take a look at that knee a little better today and see whats up." I nodded my head and Dave pushed me over to the chair lift. He helped me get into the lift and he got into the water. He pressed a button and it lowered me into the water. Once there he instructed me to put my hands on his shoulders as we went out into the water.

"Relax, you're tensing."

"Just a little nervous being in the water for some reason."

"You're doing just fine. I won't let go." We did some exercies, with kicking my legs and using a railing that was put into the pool and actually walking on the shallow end. "Not so bad is it?" Dave asked.

"Actually not at all. I'm surprised I could move around this much in the water."

"Water is great therapy. Especially on the days where you feel sore. How about a little water treading?"

"In the deep end?"

"Yes, I'll be close by as soon as you feel you can't do any more. I'd like to make a chart and see how much you can progress."

"Sounds good. So, I should swim out a little ways and you'll time me?"

"That's it." He flashed his smile and pushed a button on his watch. I let go of the side of the pool and swam out to the deep end. I had pretty strong arms from gymnastics and working out already and from having to only use my arms the last few months have only made them stronger. I wasn't nervous.

"Okay and go!" Dave called as he pulled himself out of the pool and sat on the ledge.

"How long do you think I can do today?"

"It's up to you. Your mind and body are two seperate things that want two different things. If you want to tread for ten minutes, then tell yourself that and it will often over power your body."

"I can see how that is true. But a lot of times I'll want more than what my body can handle."

"Mind over body." I continued to tread using mostly my arms but my legs here and there. "Come on Hailey use your legs more. We need to get them stronger! You're at eleven minutes, keep pushing."

"I'm getting tired and its humid in here."

"Let's shoot for five more, you can do it. So, tell me about how Nick is doing. Is it hard with him away on tour?"

"It's...not too...bad. I...miss him. He's doing ....well though." My head was now struggling to keep above water and I kept spitting out water.

"Four more minutes."

"I-I can't."

"You CAN! NOW KICK!" he yelled and I kicked my legs hard for about ten seconds and felt my body slip under the warm water. My lungs began to tighten and I tried to swim to the top but knew my body was too weak.


~*~*~*~*~*~
"You're alright there, just breathe," Dave had pulled me up and was now carrying me out of the pool.

"You son-of a bitch! Are you trying to kill her?!" I heard Bryce's voice but my eyes didn't want to stay open. "She's having an asthma attack! Hailey where is your inhaler?"

"My...purse..." Bryce stood up and ran out of the pool, within seconds came back with my in haler.

"Deep, slow breaths, you're doing just fine. Tweleve minutes Hails great work! Next time we'll go for sixteen."

"Sit her up," Bryce said.

"I know what to do in this case."

"You obviously didn't see her struggling for AIR. Here you go Hails," Bryce gave me my inhaler and I took two puffs of it.

After a few moments, I sat up on my own.

"I'm fine." I pulled a small smile.

"Let me take of that knee before you head home." Dave took my right leg and began moving it in weird positions that did not feel comfortable.
"This is what I'd like to do. I'd like to get an MRI on it, see if maybe any damage was done to it that they didn't catch. And we can go from there. I'll call your doctor this afternoon."

"Okay, I can go now?"

"Yes,I'll see you in the day after tomorrow." Dave got up and left Bryce and I there.

"You okay kiddo?" he asked helping me up.

"About the beach today?"

"I know, lets go watch a movie and relax." He put me in my chair.

"Was Nick busy when you got off the phone?"

"Never for you." Bryce brought me to my stuff and I slipped a shirt over my head and pulled on a pair of pants and sandals. Bryce had gotten out his phone while I got my things on.

"Hey Nick, yeah I know. Your girl here wanted to talk to you. It's been a rough day...here she is." Bryce handed me the phone and soon as I put it to my ear, I wanted to cry.

"Hi," I whispered.

"What's going on baby girl?"

"Umm, just wanted to hear your voice. I miss you."

"I miss you too. Bryce said you had a rough session? Everything okay?"

"I'm...I'm fine." I lied, not wanting to worry Nick. I could feel Bryce's eyes on me as he pushed me to the car.

"Are you sure? Babe all you have to do is say the words and I'm there. I promised you when this first happened that I wouldn't let you do this alone. And now..."

"Now, I'm doing it with my personal body guard," I patted Bryce's hand.

"I will call you a little later tonight but we were just doing a sound check."

"Okay."

"I love you, stay strong for me."

"I will."

"Bye baby." Nick hung up and Bryce picked me up and put me into the car, for I was too exhausted to lift myself.
Chapter 12 by openarmsgirl
Another week and half has passed and time was coming close to Nick's birthday. I was able to do some walking with crutches that hooked around my upper arm; but when I were to do long amounts of walking I still had to use my wheel chair.

"So Nick has no idea that you're walking or about the surprise party or that you're coming to see him?" B.J. asked. She had come to stay with me for a week.

"Nope. You're going to meet us in Florida for Nick's birthday right?"

"Yes, I mean its in our home town, you're giving him the best present ever. It's going to be great!" B.J. walked me through the mall. "Ooo, how about that black dress right there, girl with your body you'll knock Nick's socks off!"

"We can try. I'm just still worried about being able to walk without the crutches when I get there."

"How much walking can you do with out them now?"

"I can take like a step or two."

"The way I look at it, is that Nick is still going to be surprised to see you out of the wheel chair; as well as the other guys."

"I know but it's more of a personal thing for me now."

"Understandable, come on lets go try on that dress." After shopping around the mall for a good five hours we went back to the house. B.J. handed me my crutches, helped me stand up and I made my way to the house. She got my wheel chair out and pushed it to the door. As I went to unlock the door, I realized it was unlocked.

"Did we not lock the door?" I asked B.J.

"No, I know I did. Why?"

"It's not now." She got in front of me and opend the door and popped her head through. As soon as she did she closed the door and looked at me.

"Is someone in there?"

"Uh yes but you need to get in the chair and I need to hide your crutches."

"What, why?" I laughed.

"Trust me!" I sat down in the wheel chair and B.J. put my crutches in the back seat of her car and then opened the door. She helped get it over the stoop and I wheeled in.

"You're acting..." I was cut off when I wheeled into the living room.

"SURPRISE!" Nick jumped off the couch and ran to my side.

"Nick! What are you doing here?!"

"We have a five day break, I had to come see you. Between the stories Bryce kept telling me about Dave and you acting weird on the phone; I'd be crazy not to. How are you?" He pulled me in for a hug and kiss.

"Hi to you too bro," B.J. said sarcastically walking up to us.

"Hey," Nick hugged his sister.

"I told you I'd look out for her," B.J. said. "You could've at least told me you were coming."

"I did, check your phone once in a while."

"I can't believe you're here!" I smiled up at Nick. He knelt down, I wrapped my arms around his neck again and he picked me up into his arms.

"I've missed you so much." I squeezed him.

"Okay, well I'm going to go try on our new clothes. Hails I'll put your stuff with mine for now."

"K," I said not taking my eyes off Nick's.

"Let's go snuggle, you've been sleeping in the guest bed right?"

"Yeah, can't really do stairs ya know," I lied. The last week I had been sleeping up stairs, it just usually involves me going down the stairs on my butt. NIck carried me up to his room and placed me on the bed.

"Are you tired baby?"

"A little, I just want to hold you in my arms." He lied down next to me and pulled me close.

"Nick, you didn't have to come. But I'm so glad you did." I pulled him in for a kiss.

"You look amazing, been working hard at therapy?"

"Yeah."

"Have you been doing any walking?"

"A little," I looked away from Nick. It hurt to lie to him. But I was determined to keep my surprise.

"It will come, don't push. You know your body better than Dave." I just pulled him in for another kiss, where we continued to make love.
_________________
"So, do you have therapy today or tomorrow?" Nick asked with this head propped up in his hand and playing with my hair. It was the day after Nick had decied to surprise me.

"Um, no. But I need to do some pool work." I was actually supposed to go to therapy tomorrow but I didn't know how to tell Nick that he couldn't come.

"I think i can help with that. Hey did Bryce ever get you into the ocean?"

"No," I laughed. "I have like ten rain checks to give him."

"I can't believe a girl like, who is afraid of nothing, is scared of the ocean."

"You can't see where you're swimming, there are shraks and other sea monsters!"

"You're crazy."

"Yeah but you love me," I smiled.

"I kinda do," he kissed my nose and pulled me into him. "Let's shower and, I'll take you out for chocolate chip pancakes and then spend the day together."

"Mmm sounds perfect. Almost."

"Almost?" Nick cocked his head to the side.

"Your sister? You know the one you sent here to save me from Bryce a little. I mean I love the big guy but there's only so much you can hndle."

"I know. I'll ask her to come. I'll go start the water and see if she's up." Nick got out of bed and kissed my forehead.

I sat up and pulled the sheets. I was only wearing my underwear and Nick's over sized shirt. I let my legs dangle over the side of the bed and waited for Nick. A minute later he appeared and came by myside.

"She said she wanted to give us the day together but the three of should go out to to dinner tonight."

"Oh, she sue?"

"Yes, now come on." Nick picked me up and brought me into the bathroom. "So you can stand now?"

"Short periods of time," it wasn't a total lie. I could stand longer if I had the crutches on my arms but on my own I could do it for maybe five to ten minutes. Nick slipped my shirt off and pulled down my underwear and then pulled off his boxers.

"I cannot promise we'll actually get to the cleaning part of this," he grined, picked me up and brought me into the steaming water. I laughed and he set me down to my feet, my arms clasped around his neck. "You alright?" he asked looking into my eyes. I nodded my head and kissed him. Our hands began to roam each others bodies as though we hadn't seen each other in a year. Nick kissed my neck and I bit is shoulder lightly.

"God, I've missed you," I told him pulling his body closer.

"You have no idea," he kissed me back and picked me up in his arms. My legs wrapped around his lower body and he entered me, slowly.
Chapter 13 by openarmsgirl
"Nick I'll be fine, go spend some time with your sister. Who knows
when you'll see her again!" I told Nick. We were outside my physical
therapy building.

"I want to see how Dave has been treating you lately. I don't think I like the idea of you being by yourself."

"It's for an hour. You're leaving tomorrow and we'll have a night for the two of us. I'll be out here in an hour."

"I can come in to get you."

"Nick, I'm trying to be independent here." Honestly, I just didn't want Dave to say something to Nick about how I was walking.

"Alright alright, call me if you get done earlier or later or whatever."

"Will do, have fun." Nick bent down and kissed me and I smiled and wheeled myself up the ramp and into the building. I glanced outside the glass door and saw that Nick had already taken off. I put the brakes on my wheel chair, lifted the feet rests up and pushed myself
to standing position. I was a little shaky because I hadn't walked in three days, but I was able to hold onto the handle bars. I lifted the brakes up and slowly walked to the front desk.

"Hailey, I've been wondering where you've been the last couple of days." Dave came out smiling.

"Nick came home and surprised me. I've been working in the pool a lot though."

"You didn't bring your crutches?" He asked as we both walked to the work out room.

"No, it's a surprise for him remember. He doesn't know I can walk yet. But I had that MRI yesterday, they should have the results tomorrow."

"Good, well, let's get you on the exercise bike for warm up and make sure you get in a good work out today."

"Sounds great."

"Here use this walker and we'll put your chair to the side." Dave handed me a walker and I went to the stationary bike. I sat on it and Dave programmed the bike for ten minutes.

When the ten minutes were up Dave came over and helped me stand up.

"Okay, let's do some balancing and then some stairs."

"Yeah, I do pretty well going up the stairs, it's going down I have a hard time with." I told him, holding his hands still.

"That's natural. Okay, I'm going to let go and I want you to just stand on your own," he let go of my hands. "Okay?"

"Yup."

"Now, pick up your right leg." I did and I was a little wobbly at
first but not too bad. "Good job Hailey. Now pick up your left leg."
I slowly did and right away I loss my balance and put my left foot
back down.

"This side isn't working too well,"I joked and tried it again. I held
it for a few more seconds and then had to put my foot down.

"We'll do some more with balancing later, let's go over to the stairs.
Think you can walk?" I nodded my head and felt Dave's hand go on the
small of my back and we walked over to the stairs that were made for
physical therapy. "Okay, hold on both railings and start climbing.
I'm right behind you." Surprisingly I was able to go up the stairs
without having to think too much. when I reached the top, that was
about eight steps later, I did feel my muscles being used.

"Now, here is the hard part," I said looking down.

"Just take your time." Dave whispered in my ear and I shook off the
uncomfortableness I felt just then. I stepped my left foot down first
and then my right. I made it down half way and as I stepped down on
my right foot, my leg went out from me. Before I fell, Dave pulled me
into him and we both fell onto the steps on or butts. His arms were
around my waist. "You smell lovely today," he said and I pulled myself back up.

"I should practice more stairs, I think I'm okay with you now." I smiled.

"I don't think you're quite there yet Hails. I'll continue to help
for a few minutes." He was standing back up with this hands on my waist. For the next ten minutes we walked up and down the steps and fortunately didn't have any more problems.

"Now what?" I asked taking a sip from a water bottle.

"Let's do some arch ups on the stability ball and get your back stronger. That's going to be key, that and your abdominal to keep a
strong core." We walked over to the stability balls and I laid on my stomach on a ball. I put my arms behind my head and arched up, held
it for two seconds and went back down slowly. I then did some crunches, lying my back on the ball and crunching up.

I glanced up at the lock and it read 1:50. "I'm going to have to leave in ten minutes, you said an hour for today."

"You've done a lot today,we should go into one of the rooms and so a massage and I will stretch you out." Dave helped me to my feet and I felt really great for the day. I had a hard work out and my muscles
were feeling it, which meant I was getting stronger. We went into a room where a table was and I sat up on it. Dave closed the curtain and said, "Lay on your back," I did as Dave asked and he took my right leg and began pulling it up.

"It's weird not being flexible any more, I've always been since I was kid." I told him as I felt the tight stretch.

"Flexibility is easier to get than strength though. Just keep working at it. You have long lean muscles, you shouldn't have any problem," his had ran down my thigh and he pushed on my leg a little more. He then did it to my other leg and did some stretches to my back. He had
my roll on my stomach and began massaging me.

"I should be going now, Nick will end up coming in and I don't want to ruin all the hard work I've been doing!" I smiled and tried to sit up. Dave pushed me down, gently but forceful.

"It's important to do this so you don't have any back spasms, or any that run down your legs." His voice was stern at first and calmed down as he continued to rub my lower back. I couldn't help but realize his
hands were getting closer and closer to my butt and he was massaging my cheeks; and not the ones on my face.

"I'll have Nick do this later. I will see you tomorrow!" I sat up and hopped off the table. Although it was a little too fast and I fell to
my knees.

"Now look at what you've done, you should've listened to me. Let me help you up," his hands went right to my waist. "You know Hails, you let me take you out sometime. I see how you look at me and I can see why you wouldn't be happy with your pop star." I shrugged away and raised an eye brow at him.

"I'm very happy with Nick and I would never date you I'm sorry. But you're my therapist."

"But you've been leading me on, wearing your bikini to the pool and these short shorts and tank top."

"I don't own a one piece suit and these are my work out clothes. I'm sorry Dave but maybe this just isn't going to work. I'm going to look for another PT. I appreciate all you've done to help but just so you don't get any more mixed signals." I rolled my eyes and turned to
leave and he pulled my arm to him.

"Nonsense. You can continue to work with me, I'm sorry I'm out of line."

"You are out of line but I just can't."

"Everyone here is booked with clients," he lied and got in front of me and I ended up back back up to the table. I couldn't let him know that my heart had began to race and memories of being attacked at the club bathroom came to me. "I think we would be together Hailey. I feel like you get me."

"We can be friends can't we? I'm with Nick and I love him."

"I don't think you do and I am not so sure he loves you. I could love you." He ran his hand against my cheek and I turned my face away from
him. I backed away from him and ended up falling off of the table and on my back.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" I yelled.

"What's going-Dave?" another therapist,Karen, asked opening the screen.

"Everything is fine, she just slipped off the table," he stood up and smoothed out his shirt.

"No, he was putting his hands on me," I replied.

"That's my job Hailey, you needed to stretch, now let me help you up."

"Stay AWAY! Please get him out of here."

"I don't know why she's so upset?" He defended himself

"David go home, you're fired."

"Fine." He walked out of the room.

"Hailey, are you okay?" Karen asked helping me up.

"I'm a little sore but I'll be fine."

"Hailey it's serious, I need you to tell me if he did try to put his hands on you?"

"I wouldn't lie about something like that."

"I know and you're not the first patient to say something but there never really was evidence and it's pretty clear what happened. This your wheel chair here outside?"

"Yeah," I tried to stand but my muscles were fatigued.

"Here let me help," Karen put my arm around her neck and helped me into the chair. "I'm manager of this place and you can be sure that
Dave will lose his job. I can't promise his license but things will be
cleared up."

"I'm fine but I'm glad actions will be done."

"Hails?" Nick appeared into the room. "I was waiting for almost
fifteen minutes so I came in. Everything okay?" Hailey and Karen
explained everything that happened. "He put his hands on you? You
fell? I'm going to kill him!" Nick was angry.

"Nick, he didn't do anything really,I yelled before he could. He's
fired and will probably lose his license. I just want to get home."

"Mr. Carter, I assure you, I will take care of Ms. James from now on
and you will no longer have to pay a co-pay for the sessions."

"I need to talk to Hailey about returning, let's get you home Hails."
Nick pushed the chair out to his car and to the passenger seat. He
opened the door and attempted to pull myself over but my body was
shaking. Nick helped me in, put the wheel chair away and got in. He
started the car and clenched the steering wheel. Nick didn't say a
word, nor did he put the car into gear to start driving.

"Nick?" I asked. When he didn't respond I put my hand on his. "Nick
talk to me."

"I need to think Hailey," he pulled his hand away and put the car into
gear. He put his foot on the gas and drove home in silence.
Hailey stared out her window, her emotions of that day got the best of
her and I began to cry. I kept her sobs quiet and let the tears
trickle down my cheeks.

When we pulled up to Nick's house, Nick
got out, took my chair out and put it by the side of the house. He then opened up the passenger side and picked me up into his arms.
Carrying me into his room, he remained silent and set me on his bed.
His eyes avoided mine and he walked up to his window, put a hand on the wall and leaned into it.

"Nick, I'm sorry-" I had managed to compose myself and was confused
to the way Nick was acting. He let out a sigh and shook his head.

"I'm going to pull out of the tour."

"Nick you can't! I'm fine and with only three guys left, they will have to cancel. You've already had to post pone because of me." My words were rushed and I tried to reason with him.

"Hails, I can't protect you when I'm home and when I'm away...I just, I can't do this." Nick turned away from the window and looked at me.

"Then don't, they're getting rid of Dave, I won't ever see him again."

"I love you and can't stand to see anything else happen to you Hailey. It kills me every time you're hurt, or when you shed one of these," he brought his thumb up and smoothed away my tear stained face. I immediately felt guilty and wished I hadn't made a big scene at
physical therapy. Maybe I did lead Dave on without meaning to, I
wasn't attracted to him at all but it could have been in the sub-conscious.

"You have two weeks left of the tour. It will fly by and I'll have Bryce with me still. You shouldn't have to worry about me like this,
I'm sorry for what happened today, if maybe I had just worn pants to rehab all the time, or found a one piece bathing suit, then maybe-"

"Don't even try to blame yourself. You did nothing wrong and you know that."

"I just want to spend this evening with you before you go back tomorrow and you won't be on tour for a while after this one."

"Come with me the last two weeks."

"What?"

"It's just for two weeks, I can take care of you and I won't be worried."

"Nick, I'll be in the way and get in the way. Besides I need to do my physical therapy."

"I'll get someone to go with us."

"No."

"Hailey it's for your own good."

"I'm not this fragile piece of glass Nick, you have to stop treating me like I'll break at any given time."

"One thing after another keeps happening though and I can't handle one more thing."

I didn't know what to say just then, I felt small, I had never felt
that way with Nick before. He saw the hurt in my eyes because his
look softened. "I didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry."

"If I'm such a pain in the ass, I'll just move back home to South Carolina and you won't have to deal with me. I'll go check for flights now," without caring of Nick seeing me walk for the first time, I stood up, took a step forward and was immediately on the ground. My muscles were tight and stressed from the days previous
events.

"What are you doing Hails," Nick knelt down by me. "You're not going anywhere, you are a pain in the ass but that is one of the many reasons why I love you so much." He smiled and lifted my chin up.
"I'll go for the two weeks but then I'm not leaving your side until you're fully recovered and even after that I may not leave your side. I know you're not fragile but you have been through a lot, we've been
through a lot."

"I never meant for any of this happen."

"So you have a strand of some bad luck, but everything happens for a reason, and you and I have become closer through everything, no?"

"No, we have. I love you," I wrapped my arms around Nick's neck and he pulled me into his arms.
Chapter 14 by openarmsgirl
The weeks passed and I felt myself becoming stronger and stronger. I was now doing full work outs, using an excercise bike for cardio, lifting weights with my arms, and mostly just doing squats and stairs to make my legs stronger. It was Nick's birthday and I had just gotten to his hotel in Florida.

"Thanks so much for picking me up," I told Katie.

"Oh shut up, who else were you going to get? The guys are out shopping with Nick. Have you talked to him today?" she asked as we got into her room. I put my bag onto her bed.

"I don't know. I haven't talked to him really in two days. We sent a few texts yesterday but he was busy with the last show. So when is Aaron and his sisters getting in?"

"Aaron won't be in until just before the party but his sisters are actually here. They're on a different floor, I believe they are checking on the catering and what not. Have I told you how great you look?"

"Only about ten times, but who is counting?" I laughed and looked at my watch, it was one Nick had gotten me. "It's already five?!"

"Yeah girl, don't worry you did all the planning, we did all the setting up. You just have to show at eight downstairs in the ball room."

"I really appreciate all the help you guys' have done. Can I borrow your phone, I want to call B."

"I'm going to shower so you can hop in."

"Thanks Katie," I looked through her contact list and pressed send. It rang a couple of times and Brian's voice answered.

"Hello hello."

"Hey B!"

"Hey, you made it!'

"I did, how is the birthday boy?"

"Well..."

"Brian?"

"He's been in this funk all week, I don't know what's going on with him. We are actually back here in the hotel. He went up to his room to shower and get ready, he thinks we are just doing drinks and going out tonight. So, we'll go down for a drink at the bar before heading over to the ball room."

"Alright well, I'll see you tonight for the surprise party!"

"Can't wait to see you girl! Later." We hung up and the next few hours were spent getting ready.

~*~*~*~*~

"Ugh why am I nervous?" I played with the ring on my finger, pacing back and forth in the kitchen area.

"Because you haven't seen Nick in a month, this is the first time you're walking in front of everyone. Relax, you'll be fine, Nick will be ecstatic you're here. They're at the bar right now and the ball room is filling up."

"Is the band here yet?" I bit my bottom lip. I had gotten this Journey cover band for Nick and had a little surprise within that for him.

"Yes, they are setting up, you're on first. Okay, I'm going to go out, you start warming up and relax." Katie gave me a quick hug and ran off.
~*~*~*~
"I thought we were going out for dinner?" Nick asked drinking his Captain and coke.

"We're going to have dinner here and then hit up some of the clubs you wanted to go to." Howie re-assured him.

"Nick put that drink down, you've had four already and we're going out later," Brian took the drink from him and stood up. "Let's go eat birthday boy!"

"I'll take my drink with me, thank you very much!" Nick took the glass back, took a swig and walked with the guys. "Hey guys, I know I've been drinking but the restaurant is back there," Nick pointed.

"We wanted a private party with just us, some of the crew and dancers," A.J. told Nick smoothly. As they walked into the ball room Nick looked around and saw tables with white and red table clothes. Silver balloons were were in the middle of them and everyone from the tour was spread out.

"Our table is here," Howie guided Nick to a long table where Nick's mouth dropped open at who he saw.
*~*~*
"Okay Miss James, Mr. Carter has arrived and is being seated to his table. You are on in five minutes," one of the waiters had come back to tell Hailey that.

"Thank you," I smiled and told myself to keep breathing. I took a seat in a chair because I had been standing already quite a lot that day and didn't want to over do myself for later.
~*~*~
"KEVIN!" Nick yelled and Kevin stood up from the table and gave Nick a hug.

"Happy birthday little brother," Kevin smiled.

"I can't believe you are here."

"And miss your 28th birthday on January 28th? Come on! It's going to be a good year for you." Just then Nick's phone rang and he took it out of his pocket. He looked down at the glowing screen and smiled.

"It's Hailey, excuse me one minute." Nick stepped away from the table and the gang looked at each other trying not to laugh. Nick flipped his phone open and put it to his hear. "Hey you," he answered.

"Happy birthday baby."

"I was beginning to think you forgot."

"Are you serious? I was going to call earlier but I had therapy this morning and I've been having someone come help me clean your house for when you get back, and trying to get your birthday present in the mail. They had to ship it back to me because of who knows why. How are you?"

"I'm great, the fellas just surprised me with this party here at the hotel and Kevin is here!"

"I know, I wish I could be there. I just was told it wasn't safe for me to travel," I lied but had this all planned out in my head.

"I will be home soon, just hold the present, you don't have to mail it."

"Well, one of my presents is already there."

"Oh? Do continue." Nick grinned.

"Go look over at table number seven," I smiled over the phone.

"Hey B where is table seven?" Nick asked Brian and Brian pointed off to the other side of the room up by the stage. When he saw his brother and sisters sitting there, he put the phone back to his hear. "How did you get them all here?"

"I'm just that good. Go say hello, I know you haven't seen most of them in almost a year. Call me tonight, I really wish I could be there. I love you."

"I love you! Okay, I will call you, bye, thank you so much!" Nick's voice was eager like a child would be on his birthday. He hung up the phone and Aaron was first to hug him.
~*~*~
"The band is ready, are you all set?" A.J. asked poking his head behind the curtain.

"Yes, I think. I don't know if I can sing."

"Girl you can sing, let's do this!" A.J.'s head disappeared and he walked onto the stage with a microphone. "Excuse me beautiful ladies, gents and birthday boy," he spoke into the microphone. The room soon became silent and all eyes were on A.J.
"I would just like to say thank you for coming and celebrating Nicky's 28th birthday with us. Nick, happy birthday, you know I love you, as well as everyone else in this room. There is however something missing and maybe this birthday gift will help fill that space that is empty in your heart tonight." Just then the curtains opened and a band appeared on stage. The opening notes began to play and Nick knew right away what song it was.

"Lying beside you
Here in the dark
Feeling your heart with mine," I slowly sang into the microphone walking to the middle of the stage.
"Softly you whisper
You're so sincere
How could our love be so blind
We sailed on together
We drifted apart
And here you are
By my side," my eyes were locked onto Nick's.

"So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms

Living without you
Living alone
This empty house seems so cold
Wanting to hold you
Wanting you near
How much I wanted you home

But now that you've come back
Turned night into day
I need you to stay

So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms."
-Open Arms by Journey
Nick's POV

I was still overwhelmed with Kevin being at the party as well Aaron, Leslie, B.J. and Angel. I couldn't believe that Hailey had managed to get them all to Florida. Just when I thought I thought all of the surprises were done, A.J. had come out on the stage and next thing I know a band began playing my all time favorite song, 'Open Arms'. As if I were in a dream, Hailey walked out on the stage singing the first verse of the song. She was wearing a black dress that fit her curves just the right way.

Since her accident she gained some weight but she looked much healthier now, sexier. I wanted her right then and there. I wasn't sure if I was more surprised about her being right in front of me or the fact she was walking on stage, no crutches, no wheel chair. Her long hair had loose curls in it and it looks as though she had been out in the sun lately; her skin had a slight glow.

By the time the song had ended, I did everything I could to try to fight back my tears. There was no use and I brushed them away and got up on stage.

"Happy birthday Nick, I love you," she spoke in the microphone and set it down on the piano. My arms wrapped around her and her arms went around my neck.

"How, why, when, ahh I love you!" I kissed her and everyone began to clap. I pulled away and stared into her eyes.

"Nick are you crying?" Her thumb brushed away a stray tear.

"Look at you! You're walking!' She grinned, showing off her bright smile that I have told her could end a war.

"Did you really think I wouldn't be here for your birthday?"

"Well, I was hoping you would surprise me but then when you called I didn't think you were coming. But you, you're walking and well, walking, how long?"

"I had just started when you came for that surprise visit. I had to pretend I couldn't, I hated lying to you but this was my goal. I had to be walking for you by your birthday."

"Are you in any pain?"

"Only after I've been up on my legs for a while and I'm not great at stairs. I was going to walk down those ones to sing to you but was afraid I'd fall and ruin everything," I shrugged my shoulder and gave a half smile.

"Well, let me escort you down to our table in that case," Nick put his arm around me and helped me down the steps and I went to table number seven.
Chapter 15 by openarmsgirl
~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looked at Katie and she said "sorry" and walked towards Hailey's direction.

~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looked at Katie and she said "sorry" and walked towards Hailey's direction.

~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looked at Katie and she said "sorry" and walked towards Hailey's direction.

~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looked at Katie and she said "sorry" and walked towards Hailey's direction.

~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looked at Katie and she said "sorry" and walked towards Hailey's direction.

~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looked at Katie and she said "sorry" and walked towards Hailey's direction.

~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~

"Look at you!" Brian stood up and hugged me. "How come you didn't even tell me you were walking?!"

"I did what I had to do.'

"You're beautiful," he whispered in my ear, and ran his fingers through my hair. I felt goosebumps on the back of my neck. I brushed off the feeling I had in my stomach and continued to hug everyone else around the room.

"Let's get the party going!" Nick yelled. "DRINKS!" The next two hours, we talked, had drinks, ate a great steak and fish meal and the band played Journey songs on and off as well as other good 80's music.

"Don't you like the fish?" Brian asked who sat on the other side of me. Nick had gone to get another drink.

"Yeah, I'm just not all that hungry." My gaze looked over to Nick at the bar where he was talking to dark haired girl wearing a red dress. I watched as the girls hand touched Nick's hand lightly and she threw her head back laughing at something he must've said.

"Nick's had a little bit to drink tonight huh?" Brian asked following my direction.

"It's his birthday. He should have fun."

"He also has barely said two words to you during dinner."

"He has a lot of people to talk to, his family, Kevin, Bryce is here and -."

"And his gorgeous girlfriend who set everything up and worked hard to walk for him."

"Brian, I know what you're doing and you need to relax. Nick knows I'll be right here when he gets back..." Just like I always am, I thought the last part to myself. "See, he's coming this way," I smiled.

"Hello baby! Want to go dance? They are going to play your favorite Journey song, 'Don't Stop Believin'."

"I'd love to, excuse me B," I stood up and Nick took my hand and brought me to the dance floor where a bunch of people were dancing.

~*~*~Brian's POV~*~*~
I watched as Nick took Hailey out to the dance floor, she was grinning from ear to ear, happy to be with him finally. I saw the brunette Nick was talking to Nick at the bar and saw Hailey watch the two flirt. The brunette is Kaylee, one of our new dancers. Her and Nick had become quite close during the tour but I didn't have the heart to tell Hails. And it looks as though Nick never mentioned her.

"I know what you're thinking," Katie sat down next to me breaking my next thoughts.

"I'm just people watching, what are you dong? I thought you were dancing with Alex?"

"Taking a break, saw you sitting over here, thinking of her," Katie's voice had a sharp tone when she said 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I took a sip of my drink.

"You do and I know what you were thinking."

"And what's that?" I turned to face Katie and she had my full attention.

"You're thinking how can Nick treat her the way he does. To someone that gives him so much of her, all of her love, body, soul and mind. You're wondering why it can't be you with her and then you realize it would never work because Nick is your best friend, your brother and no matter what you could never betray him.

"But then you see Nick with Kaylee and it takes everything in you not to go up to Nick and knock him out for even thinking of flirting with another women, especially after he already cheated on her once." Katie stopped and took my hand into hers and I closed my eyes for a moment. "You love her Bri and I can't imagine how hard that can be but you need to find someone else. To help you move on from Leigh Anne and to keep that line between you and Hailey."

"I've already talked to Nick about Kaylee and how it looks. He swears they're just friends but they were flirting, right in front of Hails." I threw my hand in Hailey and Nick's direction and I watched as Hailey fell to her knees on the ground. My first instinct was to get over there and I stood up but Katie pulled on my arm.

"You have to stop that Brian, stop being her Knight. Nick's got her see." We watched as Nick helped her up to her feet and her arms went around his neck. The two came this way slowly and Hailey sat down in a chair.

"You alright there girl?" Katie asked and I just looked at Hailey with worry.

"Just a little too much dancing right now, I'm fine," she laughed.

"I'm going to get another drink, you want anything babe?" Nick asked her.

"Blue light?" she asked.

"I think she should stick to soda or water," I opened my mouth without realizing it. She looked at me, raising an eye brow.

"Brian she's a big girl," Nick laughed.

"Really B, it's a party!"

"But you didn't eat anything for-"

"You didn't eat your dinner?" Nick asked Haily.

"No I had some," she gave me a death look and I let out a sigh.

"You can't even set aside your damn eating problems for one night for me?" Nick stormed off towards the bar.

"Thanks Brian," she stood up, using the back of her chair to help her stand and she walked off in the opposite direction. I looke"Haily's POV"

I walked out to the lobby away from everyone else and sat down on one of the couches. I didn't want Nick to worry at all tonight or get upset in anyway.

"You alright?" Katie asked sitting next to me.

"I didn't want this to happen."

"I know," she put a hand on my shoulder. "Hails are you having trouble with your body again?"

"No, I just wasn't hungry tonight," my voice faded towards the end of the sentence, un-sure of my words.

"Well, Nick just over re-acted, he's had a lot to drink tonight. He'll be fine in ten minutes."

"Why did Brian even mention it, I've only had two other drinks tonight."

"He worries about you, ya know."

"Well,he shouldn't. I'm a big freaking girl."

"Hails don't take this out on Brian. Come on let's go back in, get that drink for you and we can do that cake." I looked at her for a moment and then nodded before standing back up. Katie had to help me stand because between the dancing and my nerves I was shakey. We went to the kitchen to let them know to bring the cake out and we went back to our table.

The music turned off and the lights dimmed down more than they already were, and a large cake was pushed out on the cart. Everyone began to sing 'Happy Birthday' and the cake made it up to Nick who stood next to the brunette again.

"Make a wish Nick!" Aaron yelled out, drinking a beer of his own.

"A wish huh?" he asked and took a sip of his Captain and coke. His words slurred a little together and all I could say to myself was, 'oh God.' Katie heard me and squeezed my arm. "Can I first thank everyone for coming tonight and making this one of the best birthdays ever!" Everyone clapped and raised their glass. "And for my wish, I know you're not supposed to make wishes out loud but I'm an optimist and I think it may help my wish come true. I wish for many more great years with the fellas, I wish for Kevin to come back to the group some day and stop being selfish and I wish for my girlfriend to get over herself and to just be normal." Nick's eyes piereced at me and he blew out the candles.

No one knew to whether to clap or cheer when the candles went but the lights went on and the cake started to be cut into pieces. I saw the brunette rub Nick's back a little and I felt tears sting the back of my eyes and I did my best to keep them back. As I went to turn away, I heard Nick yell, "Go ahead run away, that's what you're best at." I ignored the hurtful words and continued to walk out of the room.

"Hailey wait!" Katie called out catching up with me.

"Can I have your room key please?"

"Go talk to him first." She still handed me the key.

"What? Are you crazy, one he's wasted and two he's the one who should come talk to me."

"You're right, I should come talk to you," Nick's voice interrupted me.

"Nick we're not doing this tonight, let's just talk tomorrow. I'll go upstairs for the rest of the night, you go with all your friends."

"This," he paused and finished up his drink. "Will be be quick." I crossed my arms and waited for him to continue. "I can't do this any more and despite everything you did for me today, Kaylee is right. I can't be put through what you put me through and well, I want to break up." His confidence in his voice died down towards the end.

"Who the hell is Kaylee?" I asked and then thought of the brunette and it all made sense. "You know what Nick, fine. It's your birthday, you get whatever you want." With those last words, I headed towards the elevator and went up to Katie's room. I was more angry than hurt at this point.
Chapter 16 by openarmsgirl
Brian's POV
I watched as Nick stormed back into the ball room, he immediately went to the bar and the bar tender handed him another drink without Nick having to ask. Kaylee was at the bar and Nick put an arm around her. At that moment I knew I had to find Hailey, especially since Katie walked in alone. Katie came up to me and ran a hand through her hair.

"Not good?" I asked.

"Nick broke up with her and she is now up stairs in my room."

"He did what?!"

"He's wasted and not thinking right."

"Obviously, he's over there making out with Kaylee now."

"Hey guys, what the hell is Nick doing?" Alex asked walking over.

"He just broke up with Hails." Katie told him.

"Seriously? After everything she did for him?" Alex asked.

"I'm going to go check her on," I told the two and headed up for her room. When I reached Katie's room, that was just down the hall from mine I knocked on the door. It took a minute but than the door slowly opened.

"Oh, it's you." She said and walked away. I followed her into the room where she was putting things into her suitcase. She had changed out of her dress and was no wearing a pair of black sweat pants and a zip up hooded sweatshirt. Her hair was pulled into a messy pony tail and her make up had been taken off.

"Sorry to disappoint you."

"I just thought it would've been Katie."

"How are you doing?" I asked, she looked up from what she was doing and gave me a look saying, 'Did you seriously just ask me that?' "Sorry. Can I do anything?"

"I think you've done enough," her words were cold and sharp. She then let out a sigh, stopped what she was doing and looked up at me. "I'm sorry B, it's not your fault. Obviously he's been thinking of doing this for a while. I'm surprised he hasn't done it sooner." I watched at how calm she was moving around the room, you wouldn't have known she had just been dumped.

"Brian, could you help me get an earlier flight home? Like to South Carolina."

"Sure thing, I'll give a call." She disappeared into the bathroom and I called someone who helped us with traveling and managed to get a flight for Hailey in the morning. She came out of the bathroom brushing her teeth and placed a bag into her suit case. She then went back into the bathroom and came out a minute later.

"Were you able to get me a flight?"

"Tomorrow at eight." She nodded her head and zipped up her suit case, then looked at her phone which lay on the bed and as she was heading back towards the bathroom I took her hand. I pulled her slowly to me and pulled her into my arms. "It's okay to be upset right now Hails." I felt her try to resist me and then finally gave in, her body relaxed into me and I held her a little tighter. I inhaled and took in her perfume that lingered from the night.

"I'm really fine. It sucks but hey, Nick wants me to get over myself so that's that." She pushed away from me and began pacing the room. "He's right, totally right. If only I had eaten or could get over this thing that stays in me. If I hadn't worn the clothes I did at physical therapy, I wouldn't have been attacked. If I hadn't fallen over those rocks, I wouldn't have been paralyzed. If I hadn't joined the tour, I wouldn't be in this situation and my heart would never be in this amount of pain it is now." Her words began to break up and her breathing began to get heavier. "And now, I've lost the best thing that's happened to me...again and there is nothing I can do." She started coughing and I could hear her begin to wheeze more.

"Maybe you should sit."

"I love him Brian, since when is that not enough?" She started crying and I tried to get her to sit down with me.

"You need to sit down, it's okay you're upset and it's good you're letting this out but you're having an asthma attack. Where is your inhaler?"

"I...don't...care," she said in between coughing. I stood up and looked around for her purse, I found it on a table and opened it. It wasn't in there.

"Hailey where is your inhaler? Did you pack it already?" I started looking through the zippers in her suit case. She didn't answer and slid against the wall to the floor. "HAILEY WHERE IS IT?!" I began to get upset, not with her but at the whole situation.

"I forgot it," she whispered. I knelt down next to her and brought her knees up to her chest.

"You need to slow your breathing down. Put your head in between your knees." I rubbed her back and looked around the room, trying to think of what to do. I cupped her face in my hands and just wanted to take all the pain away from her. "Come on girl, calm down." I tried to think of anyone who else had an inhaler and it came to me that Leslie, Nick's sister had one. "Okay, I'm going to get you an inhaler, head back down," I took my cell phone out and called Nick's phone. It just kept ringing. "Dammit, okay I'm going to have to leave you. Just keep breathing for me." I kissed the top of her head, looked at her and walked out of the room quickly. I got back down stairs as fast as I could and walked through the ball room that was beginning to die down.

"Howie have you seen Leslie?" I asked rushing up to him.

"She was on the dance floor with her sisters last I saw. Why what's wrong?" Before Howie got out of the last part I had already taken off to the dance floor.

"Leslie do you have your inhaler on you?" I asked.

"Uh yeah in my purse at the table, why?"

"Hailey needs it." Leslie took my hand and guided me to the table. When we got there Nick was kissing Kaylee who was sitting on his lap. Leslie opened her purse fast and dumped everything out on the table.

"What are you doing?" Nick slurred.

"Looking for my inhaler."

"Are you okay?" Nick sobered up a little, okay, he just became more aware of his surroundings.

"For your information, Hailey needs it. Not that you care," her words iced the air and handed me the inhaler finally. "I'll come check on you and her later." I glanced at Nick who seemed to have a concerned look on his face when I mentioned Hailey's name.

"Thanks," I took the inhaler and ran towards the elevator, went up three floors and back to the room. When I went in, Hailey was now slumped on the floor, wheezing bad and I was afraid I was going to have to get her to emergency. I picked her up and brought her over to the bed and propped her up against the head board. I put the inhaler into her mouth, and sprayed it twice. She held it in for a bit and then let the air out slowly.

"There you go. Do you need one more?" I asked brushing her cheek with my thumb. She nodded her head and I gave her one more spray. She let her head drop back, exhausted. Her forehead glistened with sweat, her cheeks rosy and her eyes closed. Her breathing slowed down but was still deep. Her hand ran over the front of her zip up and she slowly unzipped it. She started to taking her sweatshirt off and I helped her slip it off.

"You warm?" I asked and she nodded her head. I went to the bathroom and got a cold wash cloth. I dabbed her collar bone and forehead.

"Bri?"

"Yeah?"

"Sleep with me tonight?" Her words were child like and it was like the night had cheated on her all over.

"Sure. We'll have to be up at six-thirty to be at the airport at seven." She nodded her head and I took my shoes off. I took my cell phone out and placed it on the night stand. "I'm going to put the stopper in between the door so Katie can get in." I did that and then got into the bed.

"It's over this time, isn't it?"

"I don't know Hails," she rested her head on my chest.

~*~*~*The Next Morning!~*~*~*~
Nick's POV
The sun came through my window bright and early, waking me from the alcohol induced sleep. My head pounded and my body felt heavy. I look down and saw brunette hair sprawled over my naked chest; Kaylee was asleep, naked on top of me. 'What the hell happened last night?' I asked myself sitting up a little. Then flash backs of the party, Hailey singing, Brian mentioning she didn't eat, I over reacted...Kaylee, we definitely slept together. "Fuck," I said to myself getting out of bed.

"What are you doing baby?" Kaylee asked rolling over.

"I made a mistake...again." I threw on my jeans that lay on the ground.

"Come back to bed. We've already talked about this. You did the right thing." I looked at the clock it was seven-thirty and then put a tee shirt over my head.

Ignoring Kaylee, I put my shoes on, grabbed my wallet and phone and went to Katie's room where I assumed she was staying. When I got there I knocked on the door loudly five times. Katie answered the door yawning and wearing her pajamas.

"What?" she asked irritated.

"Is Haily with you?"

"She's gone."

"Where?"

"Why do you care."

"Katie tell me where she is."

"Airport, she left for South Carolina. Her plane leaves in about twenty minutes."

"She left?"

"What did you want her to do? You broke up with her last night, oh not to mention you went to your room with another girl. Let her go Nick." Katie sighed and I wanted to break down right there. She was right though, there was a reason for what I did last night...wasn't there? "Go back to bed. That's where I'm going." She shut the door and I stood there for a moment thinking.

~*~*~At the Airport~*~*~
Hailey's POV

"Brian, thank you for being such a great friend. You know I love you right?" I asked taking his hands into mine.

"And I love you," he gave me a half grin.

"After today though, I'm going to need some space. I need to find myself again and be on my own for a while."

"Your brother is going to pick you up at the airport?"

"Yeah I'm going to stay with him for a bit until things are settled down."

"Well, I'll get your stuff shipped out to you from Nick's house as soon as we finish this leg of tour."

"Thank you." I glanced at my watch and saw that they would be boarding in twenty minutes and had to go through security still.

"Stay in touch here and there." Brian told me and I only nodded my head, knowing that it would be a while before I would be able to. He pulled me in for another hug and kissed my cheek. "Take care of yourself girl and if you need anything-"

"I know. Good-bye Brian." A tear slipped down my cheek and I turned away before any more tears had the chance to escape. I headed towards the security check point and never looked back.

Once on the plane, I looked out the window. Things from here would never be the same. I let out a deep breath as the plane took off and headed into the endless sky.

"Good-bye Nick." I whispered to myself and closed my eyes.

The End
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9143