Let the Music Heal Your Soul: Sequal to Forces of Nature by openarmsgirl
Summary: It's been over a year since Anastasia Steven's was murdered by her best friend Payton. Justice is being served and she was put into prison for life. Nick Carter, Stacie's boyfriend however, has not been able to find any kind of remourse. What will happen when Nick meets a strong, stubborn young woman who has nothing but determination in her? Can she help Nick find himself again or will Nick help the stranger find herself? Can music really heal your soul?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Domestic Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 34242 Read: 27384 Published: 07/14/08 Updated: 10/15/10

1. Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl

2. Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl

3. Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl

4. Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl

5. Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl

6. Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl

7. Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl

8. Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl

9. Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl

10. Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl

11. Chapter 11 by openarmsgirl

12. Chapter 12 by openarmsgirl

13. Chapter 13 by openarmsgirl

14. Chapter 14 by openarmsgirl

15. Chapter 15 by openarmsgirl

Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl
Nick jogged down the damp asphalt, with Nirvana's "In Bloom" blaring through his ear phones. It was almost eleven at night and he had been running for a good thirty minutes. It was this time of night he had discovered was the best time to run. He didn't have to deal with fans, and Nick had turned nocturnal over the last year. Running and working out had become his drug to get through the death of his fiance Anastasia Stevens. That and reading. Rarely did he leave A.J's house unless it was to go to the gym, go for a run or head to Barns and Nobles.

"He's the one, who likes all our pretty songs, and he likes to sing along and he likes to shoot his gun, but he don't know what it means, don't know what it means and I say...." (Nirvana's In Bloom)

As Nick rounded to head down the street his iPod stopped working and he came to a stop. Nick took of his arm band and cursed to himself for not charging it in a while. He took a deep breath in and let it out before putting his iPod into a pocket. It was then he noticed the music that was being played somewhere else. Nick looked around his surroundings and it took him a minute to realize that the music was coming above him. He looked up and saw a young woman, in mid twenties, playing a keyboard and singing on a roof top of an apartment building. It was no Kurt and it wasn't something he'd be singing if he were still part of the Backstreet Boys. Nick wasn't sure why he even cared to stop to listen and it was that moment when he thought about why he was still there, that he began is run home.

Twenty minutes later Nick reached his house in Las Angelas, California. It was actually A.J.'s home he now shared. "Hey man how was the run tonight?" Alex asked with his girlfriend Amanda in his arms on the couch.
"Fine," Nick replied and headed up to his room. This was the typical conversation for Nick and A.J. these days.

"I'm worried about him baby, he's been more distant than ever." Amanda said.

"I don't know what else to do but maybe he needs to start living by himself again."

"You think he's ready?"

"I'm not sure. But if he's not, I'm not going to throw him out on the streets. He has come a long way though. Maybe he should go back to talking to someone. I just don't want him to waste the rest of his life."

"We can try another intervention with all the guys and his sisters and brother?" Amanda suggested.

"Let's head to bed and I'll call Brian tomorrow." Amanda nodded and the two went up to bed to call it a night.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
The next day Nick rolled out of bed at three PM. He had stayed up all night playing a video game. He walked into the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of Kashi cereal. If Nick learned anything from the tragic death of Stacie, it was that life was too short and he had to take better care of himself.

"Nick, glad you're awake," Alex bounded into the kitchen. "So, I just got back from the studio because I have to get this new CD out by the end of the year you know."

"Yeah," Nick put a spoonful of cereal into his mouth and slumped into the chair at the table.

"I'm going to be performing at this new cafe down at Boulevard and there is going to be a couple of other live acts. You want to come tonight? Amanda will be there, Brian will be here for a few days, Howie and the wifey."

"Why is Brian coming to L.A. from Georgia?" Nick hadn't talked to Brian in a couple of months. They got into a fight the last time they talked about how Nick wasn't doing anything with his life and throwing it down the drain.

"To see me perform."

"At a coffee shop." Nick's attention was now on the newspaper on the table.

"I happen to enjoy performing at low key places. What do you say?"

"What time?"

"Nine tonight."

"I have to head to the gym, I'll let you know." Nick got up, put his bowl into the sink and went back to his room to get dressed. Alex let out a sigh of frustration and called Howie.

"Is he coming?" Howie answered the phone.

"He said he would let me know later. Not like he has anything better to do tonight. I think he'll come, I think he's finally getting bored with life."

"It's about time. Alright if you need help getting him there, give me a call. Otherwise, I'll see you tonight."

"Alright D, later." They hung up and A.J. went to get ready for the night.

It's Only Life

At the Phoenix Cafe, Nick, Howie, his wife Leigh, Brian and Amanda were sitting in a booth watching A.J. perform. The conversation had been between everyone except Nick. He sat in the corner of the booth, sipping on a coffee with his eyes glued to his cup.

"So Nick you look great," Leigh said brightly. Nick only nodded his head and glanced down at his watch.

"Alex really sounds great tonight. I think he's starting to miss the big stage though," Amanda said looking up A.J. on the small stage as he sang into the microphone.

"Have you been working on any of the songs with Alex," Leigh asked, ignoring the looks from Howie and Amanda. Howie and Amanda both expected Nick to blow up but all he said simply was 'no.'

"Thank you all very much for coming out here tonight," Alex said into the microphone. "I would now like to introduce to you someone with a small body but huge vocals and talent. Please help me give a warm welcome to Kylie Love." A.J began clapping as well as everyone else.

"Thank you Alex," Kylie came up onto the stage, gave Alex a hug and he made his way down to the table where his friends sat. She had a small petite body, shoulder length dark brown hair with a hint of red. Her eyes were two emeralds that sparkled off her smooth complexion.

Kylie then sat down at the piano and spoke into the microphone. "Thank you again Alex, lets give him a hand for his amazing voice." The packed coffee house clapped and she then spoke into the microphone. "I must admit that this is only my fifth time performing in front of people so I'm a little nervous. And before coming out, Alex told me to invision, and I quote, all the fine ladies out there in bikinis. Well, Alex, I'm sorry but that's just going to work for me. I'm straight. But picturing you right now in a bikini is helping. Anyway, grab yourself a cup of Jo and hope you enjoy what you hear."

"I'm going to head home," Nick said finishing the last bit of coffee from his mug.

"Hey man just chill for a bit, I just sat down with all of you." A.J. told him and Nick sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Tears are forming in your eyes, a storm is warning in the skies. The end of the world it seems, you bend down and you fall on your knees well get back on your feet, yeah," Kylie began.

"I have to go," Nick nodded his head in the door direction and Howie and Amanda slid out. Nick threw down a ten dollar bill and turned to walk out when he glanced up on stage to the women on stage singing. The voice was familiar but couldn't place where he had heard her before.

"Don't look away, don't run away, baby it's only life. Don't lose your faith, don't run away, hey it's only life." Nick started heading for the door but stopped at the cafe counter and watched as Kylie played and sang.
"You were always playing hard, never could down your guard. You can't win, if you never give in and to that voice within, saying pick up your chin, baby let go of it it, yeah." At that moment Kylie's intense eyes met Nick's lost blue ones and kept a gaze.

"Don't look away, don't run away, baby, it's only life. Don't lose your faith, don't run away baby it's only life. Don't look away, don't run away, hey baby, it's only life. Don't lose your faith don't run away baby it's only life.
"Take your hesitance, and your self defense leave them behind, it's only life, oh don't be so afraid of facing every day,just take your time, it's only life. I'll be your stepping stone, don't be so alone, just hold on tight, it's only life"

"Hey guys look," Brian pointed over to Nick who was leaning against the counter with his eyes glued on the female singer.

"Nick usually tunes out anything to do with live music,"Amanda told Brian.

"Kylie's music has that effect on people, her whole spirit is like that actually." Alex said looking up to Kylie whose gaze was fixed off to the side.
"It looks like she's singing right to Nick," Amanda said.

"I think she is." Alex replied.

"How long have you known her?" Brian asked.

"I met her last week at this place. She was buying two cups of coffee and I was signing up to perform for tonight and we began talking music."

"Did you tell anything about Nick?" Brian asked in disbelief because he thought he actually saw some bit of emotion in Nick's face.

"Not a thing." A.J. told him.

"Oh don't look away, don't run away, hey baby it's only life. Don't lose your faith, don't run away, baby it's only life. Don't look away, don't run way, don't lose your faith, don't run away baby, hey it's only life, it's only life, it's only life, don't look away...."
(It's Only life, Kate Voegele)

As the song ended it took Nick a minute to realize he was still staring at the singer. He shook his head, glanced over to the table of his friends, met eyes with Brian and then turned quickly for the door.
~*~*~*~
Nick had taken a cab to the coffee shop but he decided to walk home that night. He didn't know why but he felt more lost than ever after leaving the shop. He hadn't made any conversation with the group but get awkward stares from Brian. There was a part of him that wanted to throw his arms around Brian because he knew that Brian was responsible for Nick being alive today. But he couldn't just have things go back to normal.

Taking the long way home Nick began to feel guilty for leaving so early from the cafe. It really wasn't that early however, it was almost midnight now. He couldn't figure out why he felt the way he did and was frustrated. Nick reached the strip where he went running every night when he had heard someone yell.

"Get back here you son of a bitch!" A girl had screamed and chased after the man who had just ran into her. Nick looked around a tall brick building. He saw a petite girl jump on the back of a man who was running and the man fell to his knees. Nick walked briskly up to the two now wrestling on the ground. Just as he had reached them, he saw the man fling the girl off him, throwing her against the brick building. A key board had gone sailing up and came crashing down into the ground. The man held up a knife and just as he was about to put it into the girl, Nick yelled.

"Get off her!" Nick had pulled the man off and the man had ran off and Nick made his way to the girl who hadn't moved since she had been thrown.

"Hey you alright?" Nick asked kneeling down next to the girl.

"I'm alive," she winced sitting up holding her head.

"You just sang at the Phoenix cafe didn't you?" Nick asked helping her to her feet.

"Yeah, Kylie." She closed her eyes briefly and stumbled backwards.

"Whoa easy there," Nick steadied her. "You cut your head pretty bad," Nick reached up and gently touched her forehead near a large gash, where blood dripped down her temple.

"Oh no!" She ignored what Nick had told her and pushed past him to her smashed keyboard on the ground. She knelt down and picked it up, pieces falling out of it.

"You were just mobbed and injured, I think you should go to the hospital."

"There's no fixing this," she said sadly.

"I'm sorry this happened," Nick said simply without emotion in his voice. Kylie then lost her balance and fell from her knees to her side. "Are you alright?"

"I'm just a little dizzy, overwhelmed I guess. I should be the one asking if you're alright though." She then held the side of her stomach. "Cramp or something," she pulled on a smile.

"Excuse me?" Nick asked confused.

"Nothing," she shook her head closing her eyes again. Nick took his phone out and called A.J., it went to voice mail which means he hadn't turned it back on when he performed. "Who are you calling?" Kylie asked.

"Someone for a ride. Come let's get onto the side walk right here," Nick helped up Kylie, she fell into his chest and he moved her over to the side walk. He then let out a long sigh and put in another number.

"Nick?"

"Brian, I need some help and A.J's phone is off."

"Of course what's up?"

"You guys around the area still?"

"We're at the diner getting some food." Nick then went on explaining everything that had just happened and Brian said he was on his way.

"Alright my friend is on the way to take you to the hospital." Kylie nodded her head that lay against Nick's chest as they both sat on the ground. "Come on keep your eyes opened, I think you have a concussion. So you're Kylie, my name is Nick."

"Sorry we had to meet this way," she laughed lightly.

"It's quite alright." There was a moment of silence. Nick hadn't talked to any strangers in a long time and felt unsure of what to say or do.

"So you're a musician?"

"What was your first clue? The fact my keyboard is busted over there or the fact you saw me singing tonight."

"Sorry I'm not very good at making small talk."

"No worries, I usually am good at making small talk and big talk but right now I can't really think except for this pounding I have right about here," she pointed up to the side of her head.

"It looks like it stopped bleeding but it still looks deep."

"So are you going to answer my question I asked before?"

"Which was?" Nick asked.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine why?"

"I saw you tonight, saw into your eyes. You're in a lot of pain."

"Think you have the wrong person."

"No I don't." Just then a car pulled up to the two and Brian jumped out of the drivers seat.

"You two okay?" Brian asked.

"I think she has a concussion, which would explain the crazy talk she's been doing."

"Well, let's get her to the hospital. Nick you're okay?" Brian asked looking right into Nick's eyes, placing a hand on Nick's shoulder. Nick felt his stomach do a flip from the touch but shook it off as Kylie began to stand up.

"I'm fine," Nick helped Kylie to her feet and into the car. Nick then climbed into the passenger seat and Brian took off toward to the hospital.

"I'm surprised A.J. let you take his car," Nick said staring out the window.

"He let me without any questions, he was going to go with Howie and probably meet here. How you doing back there Kylie?" Brian looked into his review mirror.

"I'm peachy but I must say that my father would kill me for getting into a car with two strangers."

"Hey you know Alex, so we're not total strangers."

"True but how well do I know Alex? I mean he goes from A.J. to Alex and I heard he was even Johnny No Name?"

"Yeah but he's been sturdy for the past seven years. So you're very talented Kylie on the keyboard and with your voice, it's so unique but like angelic."

"Leave it Brian to relate your voice to something from God send."

"Oh stop, thank you Brian, that's sweet of you." The rest of the ride was quiet and within fifteen minutes they pulled up to the emergency room.

"You ready?" Brian asked getting out and opening Kylie's door and Nick looked in to help her out.

"What did you do to your side?" Nick asked referring the dark red stain on the side of her stomach. Her once light blue tank top was now soaked with blood.

"Hmm? Oh that yeah he had a knife and apparently I was in the way of it," she said weakly trying to joke. Nick helped her out to her feet but as soon as she stood up her body collapsed and Nick picked her up into his arms. He briskly moved into the emergency room.

"I need some help here!" He called out and then a gurney was pushed out and he lay her down. "She was cut my a knife and she hit her head. I think she has a concussion."

"How old is she?" A doctor asked pushing her into a room.

"Umm, I'm not sure, maybe twenty-five? I just met her tonight. My friend Alex is on his way he knows her."

"Alright thank you," a nurse told Nick and gently pushed him out of the room. Nick had a flash back as they had cut open Kylie's shirt.

"A body was found on the shore this morning by another surfer. A female surfer, fitting the description of Miss Stevens. We have reason to believe it's her but we need you to identify. I'm sorry Mr. Carter," she told him and began walking down the beach. Nick had tuned out the last part of what she said, all he heard was that a body had been found on shore. It couldn't be Stacie. She's too good of a surfer to drown.

He and Brian were escorted down the beach by three policemen. Another policeman lifted a yellow tape line that had been placed around a small area and they went under it. Nick first saw the hand with homemade bracelet's on it and knew immediately who it was. One more glance at the body that lay in front of him and Nick had turned around, fell to his knees and began getting sick.
As Nick thought about incident of a year ago, the room began to spin beneath his feet and he was on the ground.
Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl
"Nick, Nick wake up," Brian shook Nick's shoulder.

"Here this should work," a nurse had put a stick under Nick's nose. Nick's head jolted up and he blinked his eyes. "Easy now," the nurse told him helping him sit up.

"What happened?" Nick asked.

"You fainted, probably took a look at the blood. It's alright happens all the time." The nurse smiled and helped Nick to his feet now. "You're going to be fine, go get some sugar in ya." She patted Nick's arm and walked away.

"Nick you alright?" Brian asked worriedly.

"I'm fine," Nick walked to the door and outside where Brian followed him. Taking in a deep breath, he leaned against the wall of the hospital and let it out.

"A.J. is on his way here so may be able to help with Kylie." Nick only nodded and brought his shaking hands up to head and ran his fingers through his long hair. "Do you feel dizzy still?" Brian looked at Nick still concerned although Nick had shook his head no.

"I can't be here much loner Bri," Nick finally spoke after a minute of silence. At that moment it hit Brian that Nick was having memories of Stacie. He then felt like a jack ass for asking if Nick was okay. Of course he wasn't. "Kylie had a similar cut on the side and it was just too much. After all this time you think I'd be able to handle a trip to a hospital. And the countless times I'd have to bring her for her anemia..." Brian let Nick talk. He was afraid if he interrupted him Nick would shut down. They hadn't spoken in almost a year to each other and now that they were, Nick was opening up.

"Where's Kylie?" A.J had come up to the two.

"She's with the doctors right now?" Brian answered.

"Is she going to be alright?"

"They haven't told us anything but we told them you knew her better."

"Yeah she had just moved here by herself. I'm going to go in, hey Nicky boy you alright?" A.J. asked noticing the paleness of Nick's face.

"He's just fine," Brian answered for Nick. A.J. looked at Brian not believing but he went inside anyway.

"Thanks," Nick said looking over at Brian.

"Here are A.J.'s keys. I'll go back with him, why don't you go home."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." Brian smiled and patted Nick on his shoulder. Nick took the keys and as he was about to head for the car he turned back towards Brian and pulled him in for a hug. Brian smiled even wider as he welcomed Nick into his arms and hugged him back.

"Are you coming back over tonight?" Nick asked hopeful.

"Yeah, I'll see you at home Nick."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Back inside the hospital Brian and A.J. waited in the chairs for the doctors and Kylie. She had a mild concussion, that involved getting four stitches on her forehead and the cut on her side took ten stitches. The doctors had just wanted to keep her there for an hour more for observation then she was being released.

"You and Nick finally talk?" A.J. asked.

"Yeah we did." Brian smiled.

"Frick and Frack again?"

"Not quite there yet but I have a feeling things are going to be okay. I'm still worried about him though. He stopped going to see a therapist after the third session and he's still obviously dealing, or I should say not dealing with Stacie's death. It's been a year Alex."

"Nick is going to be okay, it has only been over a year and I'm sure this hospital stuff didn't help him either. Everyone has their own way of dealing, he's not into drugs or drinking. The guy is a health nut."

"Physically but mentally J?"

"Look his sisters and Aaron have tried and they agree he needs to do this himself."

"I don't know how much more he can handle on his own," Brian said sadly.

"I don't know about you guys but I'm hungry," a voice interrupted Brian and A.J.

"Kylie," A.J. stood up and hugged her. "You alright?"

"I'm just fine, hungry like I said."

"You're always hungry," A.J. laughed.

"Where is my knight in shining armor?" She asked.

"Nick? He went home," A.J. told her.

"Oh," Kylie said with disappointment in her voice.

"The doctor came out earlier and told me you shouldn't be alone for the next twenty four hours. So how about you come home with me, I have plenty of room. I'll make you something to eat and you can get a good nights sleep?"

"That's not necessary, thank you though."

"It is necessary and you have no other ride so let's go," A.J. took her hand and pulled her outside.

They made it back to A.J.'s house and the three walked in and went to the kitchen.

"So this has been quite the night, I performed for the first time, was mobbed, saved by a Backstreet Boy, taken to the hospital, and brought back to this mansion."

"And now it's time for macaroni and cheese," Brian grinned opening a box.

"Well, I really appreciate everything you've done Alex and I'd like to thank Nick."

"You can tell him tomorrow, he's probably sleeping." A.J. told Kylie. And just as if on cue Nick walked into the back door and into the kitchen. He had his ipod on his arm, ear phones in, his shirt was soaked with sweat and he went right to the fridge and pulled out a water bottle.

"He always run at three am?" Kylie asked.

"Sometimes midnight sometimes six am," Nick said taking his ear phones out.

"Oh my God was that a joke Nick just made?" A.J. asked.

"Nick thank you for well, saving my life tonight," Kylie jumped out of her seat and wrapped her arms around Nick's neck. She had to on her tip toes to reach him.

"Just at the right place at the right time." Nick shrugged."I'm going to shower and get to bed,"

"Goodnight Nick," Brian said.

"Night," Nick smiled and went to his room.

"He's not the same as he was a couple of years ago, is he?" Kylie asked.

"What makes you say that?" A.J. asked.

"I remember him as the bubbly blonde at his shows and well, he seems sad."

"It's just been a rough couple of years for him." Brian answered. "Mac and cheese is done!" Brian grinned and served the late night snack out.
The next day, Kylie woke up before everyone else and began making breakfast. She turned on the kitchen radio and sang along while she cooked.

"Something smells great!" A.J. said walking into the kitchen.

"I thought I'd make everyone a good breakfast to thank for last night," she smiled and flipped the pancake.

"How are you feeling?" He asked and took out the orange juice.

"Surprisingly good, small headache and these stitches are starting to bug me but I guess I'm lucky."

"Yes you are and we're lucky to have an awesome breakfast."

"Well, it's more like brunch since its one in the afternoon, anyone else awake?"

"Brian's in the shower."

"And Nick?"

"Who knows? Want some juice?"

"Sure. So tell me what's the story behind Nick? I mean you guys were all close, weren't you?"

"It's a long story and we're still close with each other but things just aren't the same."

"What smells delicious? I know it's not A.J.'s cooking!" Brian entered the kitchen.

"Nope, Kylie made breakfast."

"And it's ready so sit!" She told the guys and served them each a plate of pancakes, turkey sausage and fruit.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Brian asked taking a bite. " I mean this is awesome but still, you were in the hospital."

"I'm feeling great," she smiled and she saw Nick head head into the kitchen. His hair was a mess, he was wearing a Lakers jersey and a pair of sweat pants. "Good morning!" Kylie said bubbly and prepared a plate for Nick. Nick didn't say anything but pour himself some juice and took a seat at the far end of the table.

"Kylie made us some breakfast, a thank you if you, if you will," A.J. told Nick and Kylie put a plate in front of Nick.

"I'm not hungry, thanks."

"Aww come on, it's the most important meal of the day and besides its chocolate chip pancakes. Who doesn't love chocolate chip pancakes?"

"I don't."

"Seriously? You haven't had mine so just try a little bit, come on," Kylie smiled.

"I don't want any God Damn pancakes!" Nick shoved the plate across the table and it fell to the ground shattering. He then stood up and headed back up stairs to his room.

"Don't take it personally," A.J. told Kylie sympathetically and began cleaning up the floor. "I don't know why he'd flip over pancakes though.

"I do,"Brian said and he got up. "I'll go talk to him." Brian went up stairs to Nick's room and knocked. When Nick didn't answer he tried the door knob and it was unlocked. Slowly Brian went in and saw Nick lying down, his iPod on his stomach and ear phones in. The volume was turned up so loud Brian could hear the song perfectly. It was Sevendust's "Broken Down."

Without saying anything, Brian sat on the bed beside Nick. He waited until Nick was ready and looked around the room. The room was dark blue, the walls bare and everything neat and in place. He saw some free weights on the ground, along with an exercise mat.

"Sorry I lost it," Nick finally spoke up and took his ear phones out of his ears.

"Will you lose it again if I say that I'm worried about you still?" Brian asked cautiously and Nick shook his head no. "Nick between the hospital and the pancakes it's clear you haven't moved on, at least you're not able to deal with it. No one expects you to move on totally from Stacie but I mean you threw a plate of pancakes on the ground because they were her favorite and that was your first date with her." Brian couldn't help but notice Nick flinch at his dead fiances name.

"I tried to keep telling myself that it was only pancakes but I couldn't get past it."

"Have you thought about trying to talk to someone again?"

"There's no use or point."

"How about to me?" Brian offered and Nick let out a sigh. "Alright when you're ready Nick. I know we haven't been close but you're still my best friend." Nick nodded his head and there was a knock on the door.

"Sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to apologize. I didn't mean to be pushy with the pancakes and you must be hungry, especialy since you had gone running before bed; so I brought you up some fruit. You like fruit don't you?" Kylie walked in slowly with a bowl of mixed fruit and a fork. She held it out to Nick and Nick looked at her hand before taking the bowl.

"Thanks," Nick said. "And I'm sorry for over reacting down stairs."

"It's all good. See ya around Nick, bye Brian. Alex is bringing me home." She smiled, pulled each one in for a hug and bounded out and down stairs.

"That girl has way too much engery," Brian laughed. "Alright I'll let you be." Brian stood up and started for the door.

"Bri?"

"Yeah"

"How long are you staying?"

"As long as you need me to be."

"Shoot some hoops later?"

"You got it," Brian smiled and Nick nodded his head, put his ear phones back in and lay back down.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Later on that day Brian was downstairs in the living room, talking to his wife Leigh on the phone. "I really don't know when I'm coming home. I feel that as bad as Nick may be right now, that he's actually starting to come around and is coming forward to me."

"I completely understand and if Bailey didn't have school right now you know we'd be there with you in a heart beat. Things are fine here at home and honestly we haven't been apart for more than a couple hours at a time in the past year. I can use some space away from you," Leigh Ann joked.

"Well, fine. Maybe I'll stay out here in L.A. forever!"

"You have fun in your new home area and I'll call you later tonight so Bailey can say goodnight to you."

"Alright sounds good."

"Love you ducky," she called him by is pet name.

"I love you," Brian smiled and hung up the phone. As he was about to flip on the television Alex came into the room.

"Aww Brian I love you too!" A.J. leaped onto the couch and into Brian's arms.

"Funny," Brian eyed him. "Kylie get home alright?"

"Yeah I got her settled on her couch and she pretty much fell asleep within seconds. Considering what the girl went through last night she holds a pretty good front."

"She seems like a nice girl."

"She's freaking awesome, down to earth, bubbly, doesn't put up with @#%$ and is so musically talented, it's sick. In a good way of course. I'm trying to help her write some songs and get a CD out there with her stuff."

"You'd be good at that," Brian nodded.

"Anything from Nicky up there?" Alex raised an eye brow.

"Not since this morning. This is really what he does?"

"Yeah, runs at insane hours of the night, works out at the gym in the morning, comes down to eat but he eats like a freaking bird these days. He does clean and help me out there but it's usually when I'm not home and yeah stays in his room listening to old music on his iPod."

"No guitar playing, nosiy drums or writing?"

"Not that I've ever seen and I think after a year I would've found some kind of evidence. The kid has lost any fire inside him he once had." As A.J. spoke to Brian, Brian ran a hand through his curly, sandy hair and let out a sigh.

"I'm going to see if he wants to go play some basket ball. He had asked me to two hours ago."

"Alright, I'm meeting the woman out for lunch then I have a meeting for my new album. How about we try to do dinner tonight?"

"Sounds good, call me when you're out of the meeting." As A.J headed up to his room, Brian stood, smoothed out his jeans and went up to Nick's room. He gently knocked on the door and opened it enough so he could look through. Nick was dressed and was sitting up reading a book in bed.

"Yeah," was all Nick said, not taking his eyes off the pages.

"It's getting pretty warm out, you up for some hoops now?"

"Sure," Nick folded the corner of one of the pages and set the book neatly on the night stand. Brian was still amazed at how neat Nick was these days. Usually he threw things around.

"Do you want to go down to a park or find a gym?" Brian asked as Nick put on a white baseball cap. He was now wearing a pair of long navy blue basket ball shorts and a white tee.

"Whatever," Nick shrugged, grabbed his cell phone off the night stand, his wallet and keys. "There's a park about a mile away," he said flatly and reached into his closet and pulled out a large basket ball.

"That sounds good, I think I may change into some shorts though."

"I'll grab some water bottles and meet you down stairs," Nick told Brian. Not once did Brian see Nick smile or change his expression on his face. Maybe he could get somewhere while they played.
~*~*~
"When did you become such an old man?" Brian asked as he had just shot and made his fifth basket. They were playing to twenty-one.

"I didn't," Nick took the ball and brought it half way down the court.

"Okay when did you stop taking chances?" Brian looked up to the tall blonde who was dribbling in one place. "See right about now, you would've done this," and Brian stepped toward his right but then went left, stealing the ball and doing a lay up shot.

"I don't want to be recklece with my life," Nick told him getting the ball back and boxed out of the way of Brian and shot a three pointer. "I do just fine with making these," he said smuggly.

"How can you be recklece playing ball?" Brian asked confused and wiped the sweat dripping down his face with thie back of his hand.

"You can be recklece with anything you do."

"That's true but then there is also taking chances," and Brian stole the ball again and made a shot. Nick furrowed his eye brows and then sped into Brian into a fade away move, and stole the ball. This knocked Brian off his feet and Nick shot the ball into the hoop. "See that's more like it," Brian grinned. "Didn't that feel good to actually play?"

Nick placed his hands on his hips, looking at Brian for a moment and then extended hand to help him up. Nick then looked up to the sky, squinting and wished he had brought his sun glasses. "Yeah it did," Nick smiled. Brian then picked up the ball that lay on the ground and two continued to play a real game of one on one.~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Later on that day Brian was downstairs in the living room, talking to his wife Leigh on the phone. "I really don't know when I'm coming home. I feel that as bad as Nick may be right now, that he's actually starting to come around and is coming forward to me."

"No it's fine, I am liking this time away from you. I swear since we had Bailey, I feel like I've been taking care of two kids," Leigh Anne laughed.

"How is the little guy?"

"He's good, over to Jess' having a play date with Samj," she told Brian referring to a neighbor.

"Alright baby, I will call you later before Bailey goes to bed. I love you."

"Love you too Ducky," she said sweetly.

"Bye," Brian smiled thinking of his family back home and hung up.
Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl
After A.J. Brian and Nick had dinner, which may as well have been just A.J. and Brian, Nick had gone up to his room. He changed into a pair of navy blue Adidas track pants and a white sweat shirt. He strapped on his iPod, laced up his sneakers and went down stairs.

"Hey we were just about to watch a movie, want us to wait until you come back from your run?" Brian asked hopeful.

"No. I'll be out for a while," he put his ear phones in and headed for the front door.

"Just be happy he actually came to dinner," A.J. shook his head.

"The only time he talked was when he was ordering is food."

"Yeah but seriously since you got here Nick has been better."

"I should stay longer than just till tomorrow you think?" Brian bit his lower lip.

"It's your call. I honestly don't know what else to do. He's an adult, not like we can tell him to sit down and talk to us like we had him when we were first started touring."

"You think he truly doesn't miss the music?"

"I think he's afraid it will bring out too many emotions."

"Kevin wants to come back."

"As into the Backstreet Boys?" A.J raised an interested eye brow and Brian nodded.

"He misses the tour and there's nothing for him in Broadway right now. He wants to make some music."

"That would be so awesome! If Nick could stop feeling sorry for himself. He's not the only one who has ever lost someone ya know."

"We all handle things differently. You should know that," Brian pointed out the obvious with his drinking and drug habit's years ago.

"So how do you think we should try to talk Nick into at least start making another album?" A.J. asked.

Meanwhile, Nick was already on his third mile, sweat dripped down his face and stung into his eyes. He sucked in air trying to catch his breath and found himself starting to walk because of a cramp he had gotten. "That's what I get for running right after I ate dinner," he scolded himself. As he came around his familiar route, he had walked up to pieces of plastic on the ground. It was part of the smashed keyboard that had been murdered the other night. Right out of Kylie's hands. Just like Stacie was taken right out of Nick's.

Nick removed his hood and grabbed his side trying to make the cramp go away and leaned over his knees.

"Carter?" he heard someone call. Nick looked up and saw Kylie smiling above him.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He breathed heavily.

"Well, I live right there," she pointed up to the top of the tall apartment building. "I should be asking you the same thing. Were you feeling sentimental about the keyboard?" She questioned with a slight laugh.

"No, I just usually run this way and well happened to be here."

"You alright? Why are you holding your side?"

"Just a cramp, it will pass."

"You know you shouldn't stop moving if you've been running. You're supposed to walk them out. Here drink some of this, you're probably dehydrated." She handed him a water bottle.

"Thanks," he said and took a sip.

"So, I was just coming out for a walk myself. Care to join for a little bit, at least until your cramp is gone?" She asked, her green eyes sparkling up with excitement. Nick couldn't figure out where the excitement was coming from though.

"Uh, well, I was just-"

"Good! Let's go this way." She interrupted him and tugged on his arm to a direction. The two began walking. "So does running help you clear your mind? I've been working on a song and it's just not coming together and I've been trying to use my guitar but honestly I suck at playing it. I need my keyboard back but I'll have to wait a couple more weekends until I can afford another one." She rambled on throwing her hands around and walking briskly.

"Actually running makes me stop thinking. I usually have my iPod turned all the way up. The rate I'm going, I'll be deaf by the time I'm forty."

"Oh my goodness!" Kylie stopped dead in her tracks putting her hand to her mouth.

"What, what's wrong?" Nick asked alarmed.

"Nick Carter DOES have a sense of humor!" She laughed and Nick rolled his eyes and began walking again. "Aww doll face I was just teasing. You seem so serious all the time." Nick only shrugged in response. "So Nick, was my singing and keyboard playing that bad the other night?"

Nick looked down at her trying to figure out what she was talking about. "No you're good," he said simply.

"So, why did you leave so early?"

"I just had to get back home and I walked home so I knew it would take me a little bit."

"@#%$ but that's fine you don't want to tell me. I'm still a big ammature, I know. Alex said he sees something special in me whatever that may be."

"You wrote that song the other night?"

"Everything I play live is stuff that I write. That's what live music is about, it's about you and your life. It's your time to show people who you are or who who you want to be. That's the beauty of it, they could just think it's a song but there is always someone who can relate to one song or another." There was a good two minutes of silence before Kylie spoke up again.

"Big into working out huh?"

"I guess so," Nick shrugged his shoulders again. Kylie couldn't figure out why Nick was being so distant. Yes, they just met but she just always imagined a performer like him would be more out going. She was a fan of the Backstreet Boys, had every song they made and went to a couple concerts. From what she could remember, Nick was not the same as he was on stage. But then again, he is a performer.

"I'm going hiking tomorrow morning, kinda early leaving at seven am. Would you like to join me? A friend I work with is going with her husband. I was going to invite Alex but he probably won't want to come. He's not so much a nature person. But I also don't know too many people since I just moved here about a month ago." Again there was the silence, of course it being L.A. there was a lot of noise pollution but between Nick and Kylie, there was silence. "Just thought I'd offer, it's a great work out and I hear where we're going is beautiful."

"You talk a lot."

"And you don't talk." She answered back in a snap.

"Seven?"

"Yeah."

"Where should I meet you?"

"We can pick you up, just be ready at seven or I will come into that ginormous home of Alex and beat you up." Nick stopped walking and looked her up and down. "Just because I only weigh one hundred pounds doesn't mean I can't take your six foot two frame!" Nick let out dry chuckle.

"Seven it is." He pulled a half smile.

"You need to do that more Carter," she said.

"Do what?"

"Smile, especially the way you did. Kinda sexy but only kinda. Just imagine what I'd say if you gave a full smile. But I'll let you get back to your run. If you have any questions or anything, Alex has my number." She turned around.

"Wait you want me to walk you home?"

"Nah, what are the chances of being mobbed two nights in a row?" She laughed. "Seven o'clock Carter!" She began to walk back and Nick couldn't help but notice the bounce in her steps.

From there Nick picked his pace up and headed home. Once inside he saw Brian stretched out on the couch and A.J. on the love seat; watching a movie.

"You're home early," A.J. told Nick without taking his eyes away from the action packed screen.

"I have to be up early," Nick responded and went into the kitchen to grab a water bottle. He came out a minute and was about to head up the stairs.

"What do you have going on tomorrow?" Brian asked turning his attention to Nick who was about to head up the stairs.

"I'm going hiking with Kylie."

"Kylie as in Kylie Love as in my Kylie?" A.J. asked.

"As in yes," Nick responded rolling his eyes.

"Well, that sounds fun Nick. I hope you have a good time," Brian smiled.

"Wait how did this happen?"

"I run on her street that her apartment is on and she was walking out the door and just asked. It's supposed to be a good work out." Nick shrugged his shoulders and took a long swig of his water. Brian shot A.J. a look saying 'don't press any further,' knowing that it might scare Nick away from the idea. As far as he knew, this would be the closest thing to a date he'd have in over a year.

"Her friends are going too, it's not a date," he told them, looking at Brian. Brian shook his head wondering how he knew what he was thinking. But they weren't called Frick and Frack for nothing.

"I didn't think that," Brian said.

"Sure. I'm going to bed, goodnight." Nick went up the stairs skipping every other step.

"Wow, Kylie huh?"

"A.J. it very well just be hanging out. I mean honestly, I don't think he's ready to date and the guy can use some friends. New friends especially to try to gain some trust."

"I suppose," A.J. agreed and turned his attention back to the movie.
~*~*~*~
The next morning Kylie reached Alex's house at 6:56 in a red Jeep with two of her friends. To her surprise Nick was leaning against one of the cars in the driveway with a back pack at his feet. He had a pair of army cargo shorts on, a grey beater and a black zip up over. He wore a baseball cap and a pair of Oakley sunglasses sat on top of his hat.

"Good morning!" Kylie bubbled, leaning out the window of the car. "You ready Carter?"

"Yup," Nick picked up the back pack, slung it over his shoulder and made his way to the empty back seat. He got in and nodded to Kylie.

"Nick, this is Aaron and his girlfriend and my first friend I met here in L.A, Liz. Liz and I work together."

"Nice to meet ya," Liz turned from the passenger seat and flashed Nick a smile. "Alright baby let's go!" She patted Aaron's leg and he backed out of the driveway.

"So you into a lot of hiking Nick?" Aaron asked looking into the rear view mirror.

"I've done a little but I'm always looking for new ideas. I love being out in nature."

"Do you know what you're getting into with going with Kylie?" Liz asked.

"Oh stop I am not that bad. I make everything I do an adventure!"

"Well, I think I have an idea by the way she talks. Hard to keep up with?" Nick pointed out.

"And tiring!" Liz added.

"Nick will be just fine. He runs every night and works out at a gym. I have found that the best way to become in shape is by doing as much of your activities in the outdoors."

The drive to the trails they would be hiking was another forty minutes to get out of L.A. and hit the woods. Aaron parked the Jeep and the four climbed out, each with his or her own back back.

The four headed up the mountain and began their hike, making small talk as they walked. Nick couldn't help but find himself amused as Kylie took pictures of everything that amazed her; and that was pretty much everything.

"Nick, don't move!" She then snapped a shot of Nick and a butterfly that had landed on his shoulder. "I think you actually pulled another half smile in this one." Kylie beamed and continued to walk in front of Nick.

"You working tonight?" Liz asked Kylie, pushing back branches.

"Yeah, I'm closing."

"Where do you work?" Nick asked now pushing back the same branches for Kylie.

"She's a line dance teacher and bar tender with me!" Liz broke in before Kylie got a chance.

"Line dancing huh? Where at?" Nick asked.

"Right down on A strip at Wolf Creek."

"I've been there once but not in a long time," Nick mentioned.

"Yeah, we have line dancing Thursday's and Saturday's. But I'm there Thursday through Sunday most of the time for bar tending and once in a while during the week. Like tonight, Wednesday. You should stop by sometime, I'll get you a free drink." She winked and continued to walk.

The four walked further up the trail and came to a resting place, where they had a snack and caught their breath. Nick had walked away from the group and walked towards a cliff that over looked a ravine. He placed his hands on his hips and looked down and around his surroundings.

Kylie saw Nick by himself and let him stay there for a moment, knowing he was collecting is thoughts. She then moved up to his side and without saying anything looked down at the view.

"Stacie would've loved to see this," Nick said simply and without emotion. Almost afraid to break the silence again and to speak for the first time, Kylie hesitated but placed a hand on Nick's lower back.

"Girlfriend?" She asked. Nick only shook his head no and stepped back. Knowing that this Stacie person must be a sore topic for Nick, Kylie changed the subject. "Apple?" She asked and handed him a small red apple.

"Thanks," he smiled. "This is really amazing, thanks for taking me." Nick bit into his apple.

"Next time I'll take you somewhere, I think you might like even better." Kylie raised an eye brow and smiled back at Nick.

By noon, the group was back at the Jeep and piling in, talking about Aaron had tripped over a rock and landed face first in a puddle of mud and how Liz wanted to go one way but it was the wrong way back to the car.

"I'd like to thank you guys for taking me today, could I take all of you out to lunch?" Nick asked.

"Awe we would love to Nick, but I have to go to the in laws," Liz threw her thumb in the direction of Aaron.

"Rain check then, Kylie?" Nick looked next to him.

"Well, they're my ride home."

"I can bring you home."

"Alright sounds good," Kylie beamed and Aaron brought them both back to Nick's place. They had gone right into Nick's Expedition and drove to a deli restaurant where they could get sandwiches.

"So you have any more shows coming up?" Nick asked looking over a menu.

"Alex is trying to help me find some bigger places but I'm doing mostly small cafes. Which is a great start. As soon as I get some more songs written he's going to help me sign onto a label and hopefully make something of myself." She shrugged and took a sip of her water.

"Looks like you're already making something of yourself. How many songs does he want?"

"He wants at least three, I won't go less than five. My songs are like a portfolio to show him what I have. I don't want to let him down. I constantly have songs in my head, with lyrics and sound. I have to wait another two weeks for my paycheck before I can buy a new keyboard though. I have a guitar but I'm not all that great at it. It's a lot easier for me to hear what I want through a keyboard." Nick nodded his head.

"If you ever want to come over and use A.J.'s piano, just give me a call or him. I know he won't mind."

"Really? That would be great. Maybe this week I can." The waitress then came over and took their orders, both of them getting half a wrap with a salad. "I'm kind of impressed. I mean guys don't usually order salads?"

"Well, life is too short and I need to take care of myself the best way possible."

"Agreed." There was a moment of silence and Kylie spoke up again. "Can I ask you something personal Nick?"

Nick's blue eyes flickered with worry but he nodded.

"How do you feel about rock climbing?" Nick blinked and stared at her like she was crazy.

"Rock climbing?"

"Yes."

"Never been."

"Oh? Alright well what are you doing Sunday? I don't work and have the day off."

"I have plans," he said lightly.

"Okay, some other time."

"Want to know what I'm doing?"

"Sure," Kylie shrugged and took a sip from her straw.

"I'm going rock climbing with this crazy woman who has more energy than a six year old." Nick smiled flashing his white teeth.

"I wonder if this woman knows what she's getting herself into with someone who is as mysterious as you."

"Me, mysterious?"

"Yeah you Carter." Kylie pointed at Nick across the booth and Nick sat back and rubbed his chin. "It's a good thing, trust me." Kylie added. "I'm going to run to the bathroom, be back in a minute." She stood up and walked away.

"Something tells me that I should trust you," Nick told himself but honestly did not know if he could allow himself to open up again.
Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl
"So where are we going?" Brian asked Nick as they got into Nick's car.

"Wolf Creek," Nick answered buckling his seat belt.

"Isn't that a country bar?"Brian looked at Nick questioning.

"Yeah you like country."

"I know I do, but you don't."

"I'm trying new things."

"So I've noticed. Hiking and now you're going to be going rock climbing this weekend?" Nick shrugged and had half smile on his face. "It's good to see you happy Nick." Brian told his best friend sincerely.

"I'm trying Bri. I'm just..." Nick's voice trailed off and he bit his bottom lip.

"Just afraid?" Brian asked and Nick nodded his head. "It's more than okay to be afraid. But you have to start living life again bro."

"When I was out there yesterday and really took in my surroundings, I felt her with me." Nick licked his lips. "Does that sound crazy?"

"Of course not. It should make you feel good though that she's with you." Nick pulled into a parking spot and turned off the car. "It just doesn't seem to be getting easier and when it does, it feels like I'm not strong enough."

"Keep doing what you're doing, or what I should say what Kylie is doing." Brian pointed out. "She's bring out something good in you."

"It's kind of scary how easily I'm starting to trust her."

"Go with it. She just may be what you need. I mean you know all of us are here for you, especially me. But I also know how a complete stranger can help make you feel complete. That's how Leigh and I became so close so fast."

"Alright well, let's go listen to some country."

"I'm going to make you line dance," Brian laughed getting out of the car.

"Not unless you plan on getting me wasted, and I am driving tonight so that's not going to happen." The two walked inside to a packed country bar.

"It's pretty busy for a Thursday night," Brian remarked as he waited for Nick to show the bouncer with a cowboy hat his ID.

"Kylie was telling me it's one of their busiest nights."

"Is she bar tending?"

"I'm really not sure? She says she teaches line dances," Nick looked through the crowd that was out on the hardwood floor. And sure enough he spotted Kylie's 5'4" frame moving her hips and spinning around to the music. The two went up to the bar, Brian ordered a beer and Nick got himself a diet coke. When the song ended, Nick watched Kylie walk off the floor and towards his way. She was wearing a short jean skirt, a white spaghetti strap tank top and pair of black cowboy boots.

Just as she was about to reach the bar, a tall guy took her arm and pulled her towards him. Nick watched as she smiled and pointed towards the bar, saying something before getting out of his grasp. The guy shook his head and walked off in another direction.

"There she is," Brian pointed out, not realizing Nick had already spotted her. "Kylie hey there!" Brian called waving his arm. Kylie broke into a wide grin, exposing her 90 watt smile as she walked over to the two. She immediately pulled Brian into a hug and then Nick.

"I'm so glad you guys are here! What a great surprise!"She beamed. "Hey Steve could I have a water please?" She called to the bar tender. "You two want anything?"

"All set," Nick held up his drink.

"You got it Kylie," the bartender reached for the cooler and pulled out a water bottle and slid it down the bar to her.

"You guys going to try some dancing tonight?" She asked taking the cap off and taking a swig.

"Brian said he was all for it." Nick replied.

"Excellent, but what about you there Carter?"

"Yeah I'm not that great at dancing."

"But you're a pop star, you have to be good. I'll take you out for some easy dances don't worry," she winked.

"Nick was telling me you teach these dances?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, I've made up a few of them. Tonight is mostly kids from college or just out of college. It's kinda cool because most of them come here to dance and not get wasted."

"Yeah that is pretty cool. So I have to tell you, I was a little sore when i woke up today from the hike yesterday," Nick smiled.

"Just a little huh? So I have to kick your butt Sunday when we go rock climbing."

"You're talking about like an indoor place right?"

"No way, I'm certified for out door, big rock climbing. One of the reasons I moved to the west. Brian you should come," Kylie pointed out.

"I'd love to but I'm leaving tomorrow morning actually. Have to see the wifey and kid."

"Next time you're around then."

"Definitely." Just then Kenny Chesney's song, "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" came on.

"Okay you two, come on, this one is an easy one."

"Eh I-I'm not sure if we're ready," Nick stuttered.

"You need a few more of rum and cokes?" She asked pointing toward Nick's drink in is hand.

"More like diet cokes," Brian laughed. "He's not drinking."

"That's fine, come on, trust me, you'll catch right on. There are like four parts you need to remember." She took Nick's hand into hers and Nick sat his drink down on the bar with her water bottle. Brian followed and they went out to the dance floor towards the back. "Just watch me," she smiled tucking her short hair behind her ears.

Nick was a little slow at first and Brian joked with the dance steps a little but caught on rather fast. Nick blamed his bigger feet and 6'1" frame for taking more time to catch on. At the end of the song another one came right on and Kylie made sure the two stayed, insisting it was another easy dance. This one was to "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and was much easier. Although Nick couldn't figure out how it was a country line dancing song?

By the fourth dance the DJ played Rascal Flatt's "God Bless the Broken Road" to slow things down. Brian said he was going to use the rest room and Kylie took Nick's hand into hers and placed her left hand around his waist. He followed and the two began to dance.

"So what do you think so far?"

"I have to admit this is quite fun. That last dance though to "Wild Wild West" was really hard. I think I got two parts."

"That is probably one of the hardest ones here. Wait until the "Everybody" dance."

"Are you saying as in our song?" Nick asked rising an eye brow. Kylie only smiled.

"It's actually a lot of fun," she smiled softly. She lay her head against Nick's chest and Nick couldn't help but shake the butterflies he had in his stomach. The two stayed closed through the song, swaying gently back and forth and when the song ended they were still dancing. "I didn't even realize it was over," Kylie blushed a little.

"Kylie you have a request to get your butt up here on stage and sing for this next dance," the DJ's voice came through the microphone. "Liz says let go of boy wonder and get things moving in here again."

"I'm going to kill her," Kylie told Nick rolling her eyes. "I'll be back in a minute," she laughed and briskly made it up to the stage when the music began to play.

"What's going on?" Brian asked going up to Nick.

"I'm not sure yet," he shrugged and Brian watched in amusement how the smile on Nick's face hadn't worn off since he lay his eyes on Kylie.

"Well, I ain't never been the Barbie doll type, No, I can't swig that sweet Champagne, I'd rather drink beer all night In a tavern or in a honky tonk or on a four-wheel drive tailgate. I've got posters on my wall of Skynrd, Kid and Strait. Some people look down on me, but I don't give a rip, I'll stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip.
"'Cause I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad, I'm just a product of my raising, I say, 'hey ya'll and 'yee-haw'. And I keep my Christmas lights on my front porch all year long. And I know all the words to every Charlie Daniels song. So here's to all my sisters out there keeping it country. Let me get a big 'hell yeah' from the redneck girls like me, hell yeah." As Kylie sang, girls were on the dance floor dancing along with her and every guy had their eyes glued on the dance moves.

"Victoria's Secret, well their stuff's real nice but I can buy the same damn thing on a Wal-Mart shelf half price and still look sexy, just as sexy as those models on TV. I don't need no designer tag to make my man want me. Well, you might think I'm trashy, a little too hardcore but in my neck of the woods I'm just a girl next door. I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad. I'm just a product of my raising, I say, 'hey y'all and 'yee-haw'. And I keep my Christmas lights on, on my front porch all year long. And I know all the words to every Tanya Tucker song. So here's to all my sisters out there keeping it country. Let me get a big 'hell yeah' from the redneck girls like me, hell yeah!"

"She's quite the performer," Brian told Nick taking a swig of his beer.

"Hopefully A.J. can help get her off in the right direction."

"I'm sure he will. The girl can definitely sing and dance." Nick nodded his head and watched Kyle intently. When she finished he found himself clapping along with everyone else in the bar and she hopped off the stage and came towards him.

"Yeah so Liz does that every Thursday, not always that song but that's one of her favorite ones." Kylie reached for her water bottle and drank from her.

"That was great." Nick told her.

"It wasn't much, just fun," she shrugged. And just then the opening chords to 'Everybody' came on.

"That's not-" Brian started to ask but then Kylie quickly put her drink down and grabbed the two Backstreet Boys' hands out to the floor.

"Stay towards the side a little, there's a lot of moving around but you'll catch on." Kylie explained as line dancers spread themselves out in the floor. "I should make you two go sing up front," she laughed and started to dance. "Step forward and back, cross and turn," she told the two who seemed to be completely lost. The guys were more into watching everyone in the bar do a line dance to their own song, rather than learn how to do the dance themselves.

"I can't believe how many guys are on the dance floor, are they all gay?" Nick asked and Kylie laughed.

"Some of them, but no, the majority are just like you...ready and sway your hips around." By the end of the song Brian was doing the video's routine to "Everybody" and Nick was leaning against the wall watching Kylie dance and laughing at Brian.

"So how did we do?" Brian asked out of breath.

"You did your dance very well, I'd like to learn that version," she winked at Nick. "I have to go up on stage and lead the next dance because it's still new. Feel free to try or go relax. Tell Steve I told him you guys don't have to pay for drinks tonight. And Carter it's okay to have a diet coke and rum." She smiled and ran up towards the stage.

"She's something else huh?" Brian asked going up to the bar.

"I guess. Hey Brian, thanks for coming with me tonight. I know I haven't been easy to deal with lately. I don't know how A.J. has been able to live with me."

"Nicky relax. We all handle things differently, you needed time and I can see that you still need more time. We just want you to know that we're all here."

"I know you are thank you."

"We love you man, I love you." Brian told Nick sympathetically.

"I know and I love you and the guys. I feel so lost though."

"One day at a time Nick." Nick nodded his head in agreement and leaned against the counter. Him and Brian continued to talk, mostly Brian talking about Leigh and Baylee. Nick continued to glance and watch Kylie every once in a while. It was close to two am and bars in LA closed at two during the week day.

"I can't believe you're not drinking here with me Nicky, I've had four beers and I feel tipsy already."

"Brian man that's because you never drink and you're a damn light weight." Nick laughed and glanced towards the dance floor. He just happened to catch Kylie fall on stage as she was dancing with the other girls.

"Did I just see Kylie fall over there?" Brian asked trying to sober up a little.

"I believe so, she's not getting up, I wonder what happened." Nick had started to move toward the stage, trying to go through the line dancers.

"Someone get her some ice," Liz called out kneeling by her friend who sat on the stage.

"Kylie you alright, I saw you fall?" Nick asked concerned looking her up and down trying to figure out where she needed the ice.

"Yeah, I've got this damn trick knee that gives out every once in a while." She laughed and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm fine, just gotta walk it out, walk it out." She mimicked the hit song laughing.

"Yeah a trick knee that blows up every time it happens to play a "trick," Liz said sarcastically.

"Oh chill," Kylie told her and began to stand up. Nick's instinct was to get on the small stage and help her up. He watched as her face scrunched up, wincing in pain. "See I'm good!" She called out. "At least it was the last dance of the night and it's just the regulars that are here now to watch me fall on my ass."

"Uh huh, let's see you walk down these steps then Ms.Walk It Out," Liz half joked. Kylie threw her hand up in the air and started to go down the steps. As her right foot stepped down, her knee buckled and Nick pulled her to him. As another instinct or reaction, Nick had picked her up without effort and carried her down.

"This is not necessary Prince Charming," Kylie said with an arm around Nick's neck.

"Apparently it is since you almost fell on your ass for the second time tonight." Nick pointed out.

"Bring her to the bar, we'll get some ice." Liz told Nick and that's what he did. He sat her on a bar stool and she put her leg up on another.

"Again?" Steve asked handing Kylie a bag of ice. "Ya know you should really get it checked out."

"Yes Dad," Kylie pouted and took the ice and set it on her knee.

"Ya'll-right?" Brian asked in his southern, slurred voice.

"Yeah I'm fine B, how is the alcohol treating ya here?" She asked raising an eye brow.

"Just fine thank you," he smiled. The DJ then made a comment for everyone to head on home unless they worked there because they were closing.

"Alright guys let's head on out," Kylie stood up and gingerly put weight onto her leg.

"See you tomorrow kid," Steve said to her.

"You bet ya, goodnight," she smiled and she limped outside to the cars.

"Are you sure you're okay? You look like it still hurts?" Nick asked.

"Oh yeah, it's just stiff now. Doesn't hurt at all," she assured Nick, half lying. "Thanks for coming out guys. I hope you had fun."

"We did, I will have to bring Leigh when we come to visit!" Brian said loudly.

"Okay Rok, okay," Nick shook his head. Nick walked Kylie to her car and held the door open as she got in. "You going to be able to get up all those stairs to your apartment?"

"As long as the elevator isn't out of service this week then yes," she laughed. "It will be fine when I wake up. Trust me happens too frequently but always the same outcome."

"Alright. Well, goodnight. If you uh, if you need anything you can call me." Nick told her shyly.

"Thanks Nick, I will talk to you before Sunday either way okay?"

"Okay," Nick smiled and closed her door. He then guided Brian towards his car so the two could go home.

"Good to see you smiling Nicky," Brian patted Nick on his shoulder before climbing into the car.

Featured song: "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson
~*~*~*~
"Nick move your butt!" Kylie called down. She was strapped in the rope and adjusting her carabiners.

"This is my first time ya know," he called up and reached his head up to the next rock.

"I'm just teasing, you're doing a great job. We're almost to the top babe!" The sun was beating down and it was a clear blue sky. Nick wiped the back of his hand to his forehead, removing the beads of sweat that threatened to drip into his eyes. This was a rush to him, something new and exciting. Despite how hard it was, he found himself enthralled with the technical movements he had to make in order to climb up the mountain.

Kylie helped Nick rig himself the rest of the way up and the two pulled themselves up. After getting their ropes situated, they unhooked their harnesses and took in the scenery. "So?" Kylie asked putting her hands on her hips.

"That was...wow," Nick took in a deep breath. "I loved it. And it is so awesome up here," he smiled and spun around slowly taking everything in.

"It sure is hot though today and it's only nine am."

"Yeah it's supposed to go up to almost a hundred and five today. It's a good thing we came early."

"If I hadn't worked until four am last night, I would have brought us for sunrise. That's pretty amazing, so is sunset though."

"I'd love to see either." Nick told her taking a few pictures. "Come here," Nick waved his hand toward Kylie. She walked over to him and he put his arm around her shoulder. He then held the camera and got ready to take the picture. "One-two-three," Nick pushed the button and the camera flashed.

"It's nice to see you lighten up," Kylie told Nick drinking from her water bottle.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You just seem different from the first time I've seen you. Don't worry in all good ways." She winked and began to get things ready for the climb down. "You ready Carter? Sun will be at high noon soon."

"Yeah, so I put this on the belt first?" Nick asked reassuring his actions.

"Yeah, and this goes here," Kylie helped him, the two were inches away. "There ya go," she looked up at Nick and he looked down into her deep emerald eyes. Her full lips smiled and Nick found himself licking his own lips and then turning away. "You want me to go before you?"

"Uh-sure," Nick cleared his throat and watched as Kylie went down first. He then followed her moves and began climbing down the steep rocks.

"Put your foot to the right Nick, there's a better step," she helped him down. The climb down was easier and Nick found himself catching up to Kylie. They were almost at the bottom and the two were racing to see who could get down first.

"I'm kind of a fast learner," Nick played and pullied himself down.

"Yeah but you never ah-" Kylie had stepped on a rock that broke. She quickly reached above her and tightened her rope and caught her barrings.

"Kylie!" Nick shouted and moved down to where Kylie was down hanging onto the rocks.

"Yeah that doesn't usually happen, my knee gave out and I put my weight on that one rock I knew I shouldn't have."

"You're okay though?" Nick asked and reached for her rope.

"I'm good,let's go," she pulled away and started climbing down. Once to the bottom, Kylie began getting the ropes together and other pieces of equipment.

"You're limping," Nick pointed out, tying a knot in the rope to keep it together. He then put into the bag with other climbing equipment.

"Eh, not really. I feel like I am sweating like a man though." She laughed.

"You smell like one too!" Nick shot at her with a smirk.

"You're dead," Kylie ran and jumped on Nick's back.

"I take that back, you smell like a WWE wrestler."

"You don't smell much better," she told Nick hopping off. The two went back to Nick's car they had decided to take. "I'm driving!" She yelled and hopped into the drivers seat.

"You can drive stick?" Nick asked getting in the passenger side.

"We'll find out," she smiled and pushed the clutch in to start the car. Going from neutral to first she made sure she shifted so there were jerks in her driving.

"Maybe isn't the time to learn, we are up in the mountains." Nick put his seat belt on. She then shifted into second and up to third smoothly.

"Relax, I was kidding. My car is standard too."

"Oh, I knew that." He said relaxing a little. "Thanks for today. It was quite the work out and a lot more rewarding."

"I hate going to gyms to work out, I'd rather be out in nature or just doing things that involves a lot of movement."

"I hear ya."

"Well, it's only eleven. What do you want to do?"

"Doesn't matter. Nothing planned for the day.'

"That so?"

"Yup, you're driving so wherever you want to go."

"Wherever huh?"

"Wherever."

"Okay," Kylie smiled and headed to the destination she had in her head. "So, maybe later tonight I could come over and work on this song? I have a show coming up this Tuesday at the coffee place."

"Of course. I know A.J. has been wanting to talk to you more about getting things moving for your CD."

"I know, I've been busy with work and not doing great with the tracks. I'm working on this one song that's just...it may be too much."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not really an emotional person but like anyone else, I've dealt with some @#%$. Keyword, dealt and I thought once I started writing it, I'd be able to go ahead and write about. But it started cutting in a little deeper than planned." Nick nodded his head, in knowing exactly what she was saying.

"Maybe I can help you with it?" Nick suggested. "Writing about certain events in your life can be therapeutic however. Maybe you haven' dealt with it as much as you thought and when you finish the song maybe you'll feel complete?"

"I guess. I know I just need to suck it up and do it, without procrastinating any more." Kylie and Nick continued to talk until they reached where Kylie was taking them.

"The beach?" Nick asked as Kylie pulled up to a parking spot.

"This area here is usually pretty dead all the time like it is now. I'm sure though by like one or two people will have found it and will be dying to get into that water. I don't know about you but a swim is exactly what I need after that climb."

"We could go swimming at A.J.'s" Nick pointed out.

"Yeah but this is the ocean!"

"I don't have a suit."

"Neither do I, " Kylie pointed out and put the emergency brake on before pulling out the keys.

"Let's just go back to A.J.'s the pool will be warmer."

"Oh stop being a girl Carter." Kylie joked and climbed out. Nick hesitated and talked himself into moving before he followed.

'It's just the beach, just because you haven't been to one in almost two years doesn't mean you can't do this,' he told himself and slowly followed behind Kylie.
Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl
Kylie and Nick made their way down the beach, Kylie was a few feet ahead of Nick and reached the water first. Nick watched as she took off a tank top revealing a pink and black sports bra and kept on her jean shorts. They had left their shoes back at the car.

"Let's go Carter!" She yelled and Nick finally reached her.

"You're swimming in your bra?"

"Yeah? It's like a bikini. Now take your shirt off and let's go." Nick hesitated at first but slowly took off his white tee shirt and Kylie caught herself staring at Nick's body. He had three tattoos showing and he was more toned than she had imagined. "Come on!" She tore her eyes away and headed in for the water.

Nick slowly walked up to the shore and stopped when his feet hit the water. He stared down at the rolling waves and tried to get enough courage to go further. Stacie plagued his mind however and the thoughts of her body rolling up from this same ocean made him shiver. He looked out and saw Kylie had dove under water and reappeared, waving her arms for him to come out. He took another step in and a seagull swooped over his head, making a loud cawing noise. Startling him, he turned around and headed back up to the beach. Kylie saw this and as quickly as she could move in the water she made her way back.

"Nick what's going on? The water is great." She beamed putting her hands on her hips.

"I just don't feel like going in," Nick lied and sat down in the sand, his shirt in his hands.

"It's almost a hundred degrees today and you don't feel like going in? Nick don't lie to me," she sat down next to him. "I can see it in your eyes, something is bothering you, almost hurting you." Kylie's voice was softer now and she had put a hand on Nick's arm that rested on his knee. She heard Nick take in a shaky breath and let out. He shut his eyes tight for a moment and when he re-opened them, he kept his gaze on the water. Kylie then sat back a little and matched Nick's gaze, watching the waves of the water to roll in and out. She knew Nick's mind was on something and she didn't want to force him into talking about anything he obviously wasn't ready for. So they sat there in silence.

A good ten minutes of silence passed and slowly Kylie tilted her head to look at Nick. To her surprise, she saw tears roll down his cheeks. She wondered how long he had been crying because she hadn't heard a sound come from him. Getting up on her knees, she wrapped her arms around his neck. At first he resisted but as soon as her soft lips kissed his tear stained cheek, he buried his head into her neck. His arms wrapped around her small frame and she could feel his body shake. Kylie kissed the top of Nick's head and rubbed his back trying to sooth him. She had no idea what could be wrong but knew Nick well enough that he wasn't a person to cry and this was probably what he needed.

"God I'm sorry, I'm such a mess," Nick pulled away slowly after time had passed. He wiped his eyes, sniffled and let out a cough.

"Nonsense, seriously who isn't a mess or hasn't been at some point of their life?" Kylie watched Nick's movements intently as brushed the sand off his shorts and stood up. Kylie stood up with her shirt in her hands as well next to Nick. Taking Nick's hand into hers she began walking. "Come on," she guided him. "Let's just walk down a little ways." Nick looked down at their hands then up into Kylie's sincere eyes. He nodded and took in another deep breath.

"I hope I didn't push you too hard rock climbing today," she told him. Nick wasn't sure if she was joking to lighten things up or being serious.

"You didn't," he answered.

"I'm afraid of the dark," she said out of no where. Nick looked down at her and saw she had a smile on her face. "Sounds crazy I know, because I'll climb up cliffs and jump out of planes and sing in front of a bunch of people. But I can't be in a dark room."

"Is there a reason or you just don't like the dark?" Nick asked.

"There's a reason to every fear. Sometimes you just refuse to see it." She paused briefly. "When I was sixteen, yes sixteen, practically an adult I fell down a well." This caught Nick's attention and he stopped walking. "Yeah it was a bunch of us out in the woods, drinking and some others were smoking but it was the only place where we could go without getting caught." She took a moment thinking back to the day.

"Anyway, there was this old well, a bunch of us were leaning on it and it just crumbled. I was the only one who fell in and it was like nine at night. That's how I messed my knee up. Anyway, my so-called-friends, thought it was pretty hysterical because they were all wasted and high. No one went to get help for a few hours until after because they didn't want to be caught. They wanted to be sober first and they couldn't just put a rope down because I couldn't stand. I didn't get out of the damn thing until six the next morning. That was nine hours stuck, freezing, wet and hurt. And I was left alone for five of those hours."

"That sucks, I'm sorry."

"Yeah but it's a silly story but I'm still afraid. I have night lights through out my apartment, I park my car under street lights and yeah I don't go into the woods anymore. It kinda sucks because I've always wanted to go into caves and scuba dive into caves but blah, no way." They continued to walk in silence for a while when Nick stopped.

"My girlfriend died in this ocean last year," he said numbly. Kylie found herself squeeze Nick's hand on impulse. "She was actually murdered in this ocean. It was such a part of her, she was a surfer and loved being in the ocean. And...she was killed in it." Nick stared out into the open water. "There was barely a day we didn't go swimming in the water or surf or go on the boat. It brought us together actually," he smiled briefly. "I sprained my ankle running and she had been surfing and saw me."

"Nick I am so sorry," Kylie told him in almost a whisper. She felt like an idiot at that point trying to compare their fears.

"I haven't been near the ocean since they found her body washed up on shore. Until today I never tried and this is what happens." His head dropped.

"It's going to take time Nick. And just coming as far as you did is such progress."

"I know, I just I really had no idea it would be this difficult. The guys don't even know I'm afraid to go into the water." Kylie nodded in understanding. Not many knew about her fear but hers was a little bit more obvious. The dark was something she had to face every day when the sunset, Nick chose whether or not to come to the ocean.

"Did you want to go in earlier, when we first came in?"

"I didn't when we first got here but as I came down to the beach I thought I could do it because I was with you..." His voice trailed off in disappointment.

Kylie bit her lower lip thinking for a moment then reached for Nick's shirt in his hand. She put it down in the sand with hers then took both of Nick's hands into her own. She walked backwards, her eyes locked onto his pool of blue. Slowly the two walked down into the water, Kylie slowed her steps when her feet hit the cool water. Nick squeezed her hands tighter, never tearing his eyes away from hers. She then moved his hands to her waist and she put her hands on Nick's bare waist. The two walked in deeper, their foreheads gently resting against each other.
Nick's eyes closed as he felt the water hit his knees and Kylie told Nick to open them. "Keep looking at me," she whispered. They were almost at the end of the sand bar because Kylie could barely touch now at her 5'4" height. The water felt good on both their bodies because the sun had been beating down on them, neither wearing sun block. Kylie put her arms around Nick and his arms encased her body. She smiled at him and he gave her a shy smile back. He then pulled her closer and brought them both under the water and came back a moment later.

"Not bad for the first day Carter," she told him but was worried it may have already been too much too soon. "Come on, I'm getting hungry." Nick nodded and the two swam back together. Hand in hand they gathered their shirts and walked back to the car.
Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl
"See this is where I get stuck," Kylie pressed all ten fingers on the white ivory keys of A.J.'s Grand Piano. Nick had been pacing back and forth behind her, his arms crossed, one hand on his chin. It was a great melody he thought, it went from a hard to soft back to hard rock theme.

"Go back to that last verse," Nick said sitting next to her on the bench.

"Have you forgotten all I know and all we had? You saw me mourning my love for you and touched my hand, I knew you loved me then..."

"Kylie tell me the story behind the song because I'm getting two different feels over this." Nick asked and he watched as she moved her fingers over the keys smoothly and acted as she didn't hear him. After a minute she folded her hands onto her lap and let out a sigh.

"It's not ready I guess that's my problem." She shrugged and looked down at her watch on her hand. "Damn I have to go get ready for work. Thanks, Nick," she kissed his cheek and stood up gathering her things.

"You coming over for movie night tomorrow?" Nick asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I'll call you." She smiled and went out door. Nick found himself smiling and went into the kitchen to make himself something for dinner.

"She was sounding good in there, A.J. told Nick sitting there with Amanda going over some paper work."

"Yeah she's just stuck on this one song. I think it's too personal and she can't finish writing it." Nick shrugged and opened the refrigerator.

"I'm meeting with her in two weeks to finalize what tracks she wants to start laying out on the album. I've heard most of her stuff, the world is going to love her. She's Evanescence meets Michelle Branch."

"You two seem to have become close," Amanda smiled up at Nick.

"She's a cool girl," he said simply and pulled out items to make a turkey sandwich.

"A cool girl? That's all she is to you?" Amanda asked.

"Well," Nick paused for a second. "Yeah." He returned into making his sandwich.

"You men are so naive," she groaned.

"Leave Nicky alone," A.J. defended knowing this was a huge step from where he had been just three weeks ago.
~*~*~*~*~
Kylie was bar-tending that night and the place was pretty dead. But it usually was during the week. She found herself watching whatever sport was showing on the plasma TV and just wanted to be home.

"Are you really watching that?" Sam asked. He was the other bartender on duty.

"Hmm?" She asked. She had been actually thinking about her song and why she just didn't tell Nick about the meaning behind the song. Maybe it was because she didn't want to bring him an unneeded pain or remembering of his dead girlfriend.

"What's up Kylie?" He asked

"Just trying to figure out a song in my head," she smiled. "Dorky I know but I want to get this CD moving!"

"You know what, go on home and work on it. It's not going to pick up the last three hours we're here."

"No I couldn't do that."

"Come on you never take a day off and you never leave early. Do it, I double dog dare you!" He laughed and she bit her lower lip.

"You sure?"

"GO!" He threw a rag at her and she gave him a hug.

"Thanks Sam! See Thursday!" She grabbed her purse and took her keys out. As she was heading for the door a man who was sitting by himself at a table stood up.

"Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be Sarah would you?" He asked. Kylie had to bite her tongue to keep from laughing from this pick up line she's heard before.

"No, I'm sorry," she began to walk away.

"Oh, well you see I was supposed to go on a date with this girl and she well, stood me up! Can you believe that? A girl standing up a guy like me?" He asked throwing his hands in the air. Kylie gave him a once over. He had thick dark hair and green eyes. His long sleeved button up had his sleeves rolled up and his forearms were evident he worked out. Over all yeah, she couldn't understand why someone would stand up this guy.

"I'm sorry to hear that," she smiled.

"Would you be interested in having a drink with me?" He asked. "Just so I don't look so foolish sitting here any longer by myself.

"Um, well I just got off my shift and-"

"One drink."

"Alright," she sighed and sat down at the table.

"What will it be?"

"Water?"

"Just a water?"

"A big water with lemon and a cherry?"

"Alright," he laughed and stood up to go to the bar. She felt her purse vibrate and she took out her cell phone. It was a text message from Nick.

:Were U late 4 work?: Kylie couldn't help herself from smiling from the simple text message, knowing Nick was thinking of her. She wrote back, ::No. Actually getting out early...or was...::

:Was?:

::Felt sorry for this guy by himself, he was stood up but is full of himself lol::

:Should I be jealous??: Kylie bit her lip and smiled, was Nick flirting with her?

::Maybe. ;-)::

"Here is your tall water with a lemon and cherry," the man set down the glass. "By the way, I'm Mark," he held out his hand.

"Kylie," she smiled and took it.

"Talking to your boyfriend?" Mark asked referring to the phone that was in her hand. She put into her purse and debated on not whether or not to tell him the truth.

"Just a friend," she smiled.

"So you're a bartender here?"

"Yeah and a struggling musician," she took a sip of her water.

"Oh? What do you play?"

"Sing mostly. But I play keyboard and I'd like to learn the guitar. What is it that you do?"

"Lawyer," he took a drink from his glass that Kylie assumed was whisky.

"Impressive."

"Yeah, it's alright. Pays the bills but I feel as though I work 24/7." Kylie's phone then vibrated again but she ignored it. "Do you need to take that?"

"Nah it's just a friend that has nothing better to do," she laughed. "So you live around here?" The two began to talk and got to know one another. Before Kylie realized it it was two am and the bar was closing.

"Kylie I gotta lock up," Sam told her. Kylie then looked at her watch.

"So much for leaving early," she laughed. "Alright Sam, thanks." She stood up as did Mark.

"It was great talking with you Kylie," Mark told her.


"Same with you. I'm sorry your date never showed."

"It happens," he shrugged. "Would it be alright if I asked for you number?"

"Umm, sure," she smiled and took her phone out. She opened it up, saw that Nick had sent her five more messages and hit the area code. "Tell me your number and I'll call you from my phone." Mark gave her the digits and she hit send. His phone rang and she hung up.

"Thanks. Well, let me walk you to your car." He said and held his arm out for her to go ahead of him. Mark walked her to her car and when she unlocked it, he opened the door. "Drive safe." He smiled and she thanked him.

"Goodnight Mark," she smiled and got into her car and he gently closed the door. Starting her car, she took a moment to put her seat belt on, and then took her phone out to read Nick's messages.

::So should I come save you?::

::I guess u r ok??::

::Going for run. Let me know when ur home.:: She laughed, this message was at one am.

"You and your late night runs Nick," she smiled and read the last two texts.

::Should I come beat this guy up or did u get home?::

::Going to bed, tty tomorrow. G'night::

Finding herself tired, she pushed the clutch in and put her car into first and headed home.
Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl
"The original Batman's are the best!" Nick argued with Kylie on her couch.

"No way, Christian Bale rocks as Batman. These ones are so much darker and more like the comic book character!" Kylie defended as they watched 'Batman Begins.'

"You just like him because he's hot," Nick threw a piece of pop corn at her face.

"That doesn't hurt the movie but seriously. I like the dark version of these. We're going to go see the opening of 'Dark Knight' is next Thursday at midnight and I'm sure that movie will blow you away."

"How do you know if you haven't seen it?"

"Because have you seen these previews and raves on Heath's acting?!"

"Eh we'll see what the big deal is. So next Thursday huh? Don't you work?"

"I took off for the opening at midnight!" She said with excitement.

"You took off from work to see a movie?"

"Yeah?"

"You're an odd one."

"That's why ya love me," she poked Nick in the side with her elbow.

~*~*~*~

"Let's go out tonight!" Kylie jumped up from the couch after the movie ended.

"What?" Nick asked without emotion or moving.

"You know, out like normal people our age do on a weekend. It's Saturday night, I wanna go dance and I don't have to work!"

"Well, you have fun. I'm not much of a going out person."

"Until tonight that is. Go home, get showered and changed and I'll pick you up."

"You'll pick me up?"

"Yeah why not?"

"Are you going to want to drink?"

"Yeah, I didn't say I'd drive back. We can cab it back. Now go!" She pulled Nick's arm off the couch.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, tell Alex and whoever else too if you want." She pushed Nick out the door. "Be there around nine!" She shut the door before Nick could say anything else.

'What have I gotten myself into?' Nick laughed to himself as he hit the elevator button to the ground level.

~*~*~*~*~*~
"You drink like a fish!" Nick told Kylie sitting at a bar drinking margaritas with her, Alex and his girlfriend.

"Ya what are you trying to say?" She asked finishing her banana margarita and ordering a beer.

"You are like the perfect girl," Alex said laughing. "Next to you of course," he told his girl.

"Whys that, besides the obvious?" Kylie raised an eye brow.

"You drink beer, you do things on a limb and you're into music!"

"Yeah I have to mix things up. I get bored easily. So let's go to Pearl after this and dance!"

"Yeah let's dance baby!" Amanda told A.J., already tipsy from her two glasses of wine.

"We will. Let's finish our drinks first since Kylie is on her third." Alex laughed shaking his head. The continued to talk about Kylie's album, A.J's new album and small talk. Once their drinks were finished they headed out Pearl to dance.


"Let's go Carter," Kylie tugged on Nick's hand.

"Uh, I need another drink or two before I start dancing."

"You drink like a girl, drink up!" She poked at Nick.

"Do you want anything?"

"Umm Captain and diet please," she winked, pulled on Amanda's arm and went out dancing.

"How's your date going?" Alex sat down next to Nick, ordering himself a regular coke.

"It's not a date," Nick told him ordering his and Kylie's drinks.

"Are you serious? You're here with an amazing girl, with myself and Amanda. How is this not a date?"

"We're just friends."

"Right, you two have been flirting all night."

"Whatever Jay." He shook his head.

"Alright alright, I get it," A.J. backed off.

"You going to go dance with her man?"

"Looks like she's fine out there," Nick took a sip of his drink and watched as a man approached Kylie. She had on short dress shorts and a white loose fitting tank top that hung on her shoulders. Her short legs looked long with the heels she wore and Nick couldn't help but notice she was actually a great looking girl. Maybe it was the drinks or maybe it was just the drinks that helped him notice finally.

"I see you staring out on the dance floor, care to dance?" A short haired, long legged blonde asked, wearing a mini jean skirt. Nick took another glance at Kylie and before he saw her push the approaching guy away Nick agreed and walked out to the dance floor. The tall blonde pulled Nick close to her, her hip deep into his. Nick couldn't remember the last time he was danced, let alone dance like this with a girl.

He ran a hand through her wild hair as she tilted her head back. Nick then happened to look over the woman's shoulder and saw Kylie was down dancing behind A.J. with Amanda in front of him. They were laughing and sipping drinks in between dancing. He then felt his head pulled to her girls and she was more aggressive now. He almost wondered if she knew who he was, or least used to be. He was sure that most people by now had probably forgotten about them.

"I'm Jillian," she told Nick into his ear as her body continued to move with his.

"Nick," he said simply enjoying where her hands had traveled to. He felt himself arouse and held her tighter. His drink was well gone by the time the two had began making out. As the kiss deepened, Stacie's face flashed in his mind and he pulled away abruptly.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," he told the girl.

"Well, wait, can I get your number?" She asked grabbing his hand as he had turned to walk away.

"I uh-" Nick thought a moment. "I have to go, I'm sorry," he apologized again and walked to the bar to get himself another drink. Standing to the bar, he felt a pair of arms go around his neck.

"Nickolas!" Kylie giggled and pulled away. "I saw you being naughty over there. Did you get her number?" She asked sipping her almost gone drink.

"Nah," Nick replied and ordered two more drinks. One for him, one for Kylie.

"Hmm."

"Where did your guy go?"

"What guy?" Kylie giggled again. "I've only danced with A.J. and Mandy."

"Oh, I don't know then."

"Well, then you and I will go dance!" Kylie took Nick's hand into her own and went to the dance floor. "You're drunk Carter!" She giggled and Nick couldn't help but laugh a little at how she did giggle more than her normal laugh when she was drinking.

"Am totally sober," he winked and swayed his hips with hers.

"Your cheeks are all rosy!"

"So are yours!" He shot back.

"Yes but I handle my-" At that moment she tripped on her heel and grabbed onto Nick balancing herself. His instinct immidately pulled her to him.

"Don't even say handle your liquor better," he laughed shaking his head.

"I was going to say handle dance partners better!" She laughed.

"You have a great laugh," Nick said in almost a whisper, their faces close to one another.

"I do?" She asked biting her bottom lip. She felt Nick's arm around her tighten.

"I found them J!" Amanda jumped in between the two of us.

"I can see that," A.J laughed. "We were thinking of taking a walk, it's nice out and it's getting crowded in here."

"I think that's a good idea, this one here has had too much to drink," Nick grinned looking at Kylie. "I'll close my tab," he told the group and A.J. followed to do the same.

"Sorry for Amanda's burst, I saw you two close to kissing."

"Nah it was nothing. Just too much alcohol." Nick shrugged. A.J. only nodded, knowing not to press things further. Within ten minutes the four walked out of the crowded dance club and into the warm California air.

"That was a lot of fun, we need to get out more," Amanda said flashing a lazy smile as she leaned into A.J's arm.

"Yes it was fun, I need to get weekends off more!" Kylie jumped up onto a guard rail and began walking across.

"Get down from there, are you crazy with wearing heels?" Nick asked and put his hands around her waist. She fell onto him laughing as he carried her into his arms.

"My hero," she batted her eye lashes and Nick set her down.

"Let's go down to the beach!" Amanda pulled on A.J's hand and headed down the board walk.

"Uh not tonight babe," he tried telling her as he looked at Nick.

"No it's cool," Nick brushed his bangs away from his eyes.

"Yup it's cool, he's got me to protect him!" Kylie took her heels off and put her hand into Nick's. He looked down at her and smiled. They walked quietly for a little and pulled ahead from Alex and Amanda.

"You're a mess," Nick laughed lightly.

"I am not," Kylie pouted.

"You're a cute mess though."

"Well as long as I'm a cute mess I guess that's okay."

There was another few minutes of silence between the two, both fighting each other's emotions and feelings. "Nick?" Kylie finally spoke.

"Yeah?"

"I've been wanting to ask you a question for a little bit now," she stopped walking and looked up at Nick.

"What's that?"

"If you don't want to answer that's fine but why don't you sing any more?" Kylie could feel Nick instantly sober up and for as drunk as she was, Kylie could feel herself sobering. Nick took his eyes off Kylie and gazed out into the ocean. "Don't worry about it," she tried to say brightly and took a step forward. Nick grasped her hand and then sat down into the sand, pulling Kylie down with him.

"No it's okay I can tell you. You pretty much already know."

"Your girlfriend?"

"Yeah," Nick whispered. "Her name was Stacie. But since she died I just haven't been able to near music...until will you came into my life. Before you, I hadn't even gone to see Alex sing but for some reason the guys were able to talk me into going to the open mic night."

"Fate Carter," Kylie grinned.

"I doubt my voice could even carry a note any more or that I could remember how to play the guitar."

"No way it will be like riding a bike for you. It will be about confidence and that you're regaining. I've seen it come a long way int he last couple of weeks."

"Thanks to you."

"I did nothing but give a little push," Kylie's giggle was softer and her eyes locked on with Nick's. She felt her cheeks grow warm, his face leaned into hers.

"We're both drunk," Nick admitted his eyes shifting from hers to her glossed lips.

"This will probably ruin everything we've worked for," she agreed.

"Probably," Nick licked his lips and closed his eyes as his lips brushed Kylie's.
Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl
Kylie let out a soft moan as their kissed deepened and her tongue kissed back with hunger. Nick had one hand on her cheek the other behind her head and he breathed heavily in between kisses. As Nick was adjusting himself on top and gently lowering Kylie down into the sand, he glanced his eyes up out toward the angry sea. At that instant he dropped Kylie and bolted to his knees. To him he could have sworn he saw Stacie in the ocean, her dead body lying on her surf board calling Nick's name.

"Nick what's wrong?" Kylie asked propping herself up on her elbows.

"I-I can't do this." He ran a hand through his hair and Kylie stood up.

"Do what? We we were just kissing. Did I do something wrong?" She asked with concern. Nick didn't say anything back but stared out into the ocean. "Nick you're scaring me, what's going on?"

"There you two are! Look what I just bought across the street. This is why I love this town!" Amanda had a bottle of wine in her hand and took a swig. Nick still ignored Kylie's eyes that were filled with hurt and confusion. "Have some girl, you're sobering up and it's still early!"

"I think I will," Kylie took the bottle and a long drink from it.

"Ah I'm so glad you're in Nick's life! I have another girl I can hang out with and will actually get a long with me!" Amanda slung her drunken arm over Kylie's shoulder and the two walked down the beach.

"Sorry she doesn't drink much," Alex offered as he approached Nick.

"I'm ready to go home, " Nick said running a hand through his hair.

"Have too much to drink Nicky?" Alex laughed and patted Nick's shoulder. In fact Nick knew he had too much to drink and that's all he could use for an excuse for the kiss. Just then they both heard the two women scream. Their heads jerked to the direction and saw them both splashing around in the shore, the bottle of wine passed back and forth between the two.

"Great," Nick shook his head and him and Alex began walking down toward the water.

"Baby let's head home!" Alex yelled out. Both Amanda and Kylie were too busy falling down in the water and laughing.

"So what is up with you and Nick?" Amanda slurred. Kylie took the bottle aggressively and a sip before she answered.

"Absolutely nothing. We're friends and that's it. Period."

"That's not what that kissed lookey liked," Amanda laughed.

"It was a drunken whoa!" Kylie stepped off the sand bar. "It's okay the bottle is above the water!" She held it up treading water.

"I'll save the Vino!" Amanda reached her hand out and took the bottle. "Uh oh it's almost gone."

"Finish it up, I've had too much," Kylie swam back into shore.

"Let's go you two," Alex called from the beach.

"Come in the water is great!"

"Thanks Kylie but I'm good nice and dry. Now come on!"

"Awe five more minutes Dad!" Amanda cried.

"I feel like such a kid," Kylie admitted. "It feels kinda good."

"Then why that face like you ate a lemon?" Amanda laughed.

"I have a cramp," Kylie half laughed and struggled to keep her head up.

"Here take my hand," Amanda still laughed lightly. Amanda stopped laughing when she realized that the undertow was taking Kylie away. "ALEX!" She screamed and before she could call his name again she saw Nick in the water already swimming to Kylie.

"Don't try to swim, just relax." Nick told Kylie as his arm slipped around her waist. He fought against the waves and current as he pulled Kylie up onto shore. Alex and Amanda were already to the point they were and helped Nick bring her up. As Nick lay her in the sand she looked up into his eyes breathing hard.

"Nick-I-I'm sorry," Kylie felt stupid and guilty for going out in the water, knowing of Nick's girlfriend.

"It's fine. Are you okay?"

"Yeah my knee just had a spasm." She moved her knee in and out a little. Nick ran his fingers over her knee and rubbed it gently.

"Are we ready to go now?" Alex asked with anger and Amanda nodded her head and looked at Kylie feeling guilty. Nick helped Kylie stand and she stumbled into him a little.

"Knee?" Nick asked with concern.

"And a little tipsy still, sorry," Kylie giggled a little. "Nick that was dumb for me to go into the water after drinking. I wasn't thinking."

"Clearly."

"Nick I am sorry."

"I know, let's just go home. Alex called a cab." He put an arm around Kylie and ushered her to the road where a cab would be waiting.

The four climbed in and within minutes Amanda had passed out with her head on Alex's shoulder. Nick stared out the window and Kylie kept stealing glances to Nick.

"I have to get my car," she spoke up.

"I'll bring you to it tomorrow," Nick told her not taking his eyes off the window.

"I kinda want to go home," she told him and it was the first time Nick didn't hear excitement or happiness in her voice.

"You're staying at my place now relax," Alex told her and Kylie let out a sigh, running her hands through her hair in frustration. Nick looked over, watched as Kylie's eyes closed as the sigh released from her full lips. He knew she felt bad for the water incident. He placed a hand on her knee and in reaction she pulled away and leaned toward the passed out Amanda.

The ride home was quiet and by 4am they pulled into the driveway. Nick paid for the cab as Alex carried Amanda into the house.

"Thanks for getting me out tonight, I did have fun." Nick told Kylie who was leaning against the light post in the front yard. She nodded her head, hugging her arms to warm up.

"Let's get you some warm clothes on."

"Actually I'm just going to walk home."

"Kylie it's four in the morning, you're still drunk, you'll catch pneumonia from being wet and there are weirdo's out beside you at this hour." Kylie couldn't help but crack a smile at Nick's comment.

"Nick I'm-"

"I know." He pulled her to his chest and gave her a hug. "Come on inside." With his arm slung around hr shoulder the two walked inside.

"Hey Nick?" Kylie asked walking into his bedroom.

"Yeah?" He pulled out a pair of sweat pants and long sleeved shirt for her to wear from his dresser.

"I think we need to go back to just being friends." She took the handed out clothes.

"I think so too. Now change and come to bed." He winked and watched as she went into the bathroom. He knew he was not ready for anything serious and he knew that he and Kylie could be something great. He couldn't chance ruining a future they could possibly have.
Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl
The weeks passed and Nick and Kylie remained the good friends they were before the kiss. It wasn't brought up, nor was how Kylie slipped into the water that drunken night. It was a Sunday afternoon, and it was actually raining in California.

Kylie was bumming around her apartment, watching a movie when her buzzer went off. Letting out a small groan of annoyance she got up from her comfortable couch, her blanket wrapped around her and pressed the button. "Yeah?" She called into the intercom.

"It's me," the voice came through.

"What do you want Me?" She laughed.

"Let me up you pain in the ass."

"Yeah yeah, come up Nick." She pressed the button to unlock the door. She propped her door open and went to lay back on the couch. A minute later Nick entered the room.

"Lazy today?" He asked and she looked up.

"Just a little. What is that?" She laughed at Nick who was struggling to hold a rather large object in a long bag.

"I picked this up for you."

"It's not my birthday."

"No, but I thought you could use it. Besides I don't know when your birthday is?"

"You'll laugh."

"At when your birthday is?"

"Uh huh."

"April Fools day?"

"Nope."

"Well, when?"

"Halloween."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, now are you going to give me my surprise?" She grinned holding out her hands.

"Wait you were born on Halloween?"

"Yes."

"That's so cool. You're like a dream girl. That's my favorite holiday!" Nick said with excitment.

"Yeah, yeah. Present now?"

"Okay, if you don't like it then we can take it back and get you a different one. But I've been paying close attention to your style and it seems to fit best." He put the gift on the couch and Kylie eyed Nick wondering what he was talking about. She began to unzip the leather covering and brought her hand to her mouth, letting out a soft gasp at what she saw.

"Nick, you shouldn't have," she took it fully off and ran her fingers over the smooth white keys.

"I wanted to get you one sooner but had to get this one ordered. Is it okay?"

"It's beautiful. But Nick you didn't have to buy me key board."

"Yes I did." He sat next to her and watched as she turned it on.

"Nick thank you," she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. "How can I repay you?"

"By working on that song you refuse to work on. You've put six tracks down and I think this song will really launch you." Nick watched as she pulled away, bit her bottom lip and had a worried look in her eyes.

"I'll try." She put the keyboard on the coffee table in front of her and turned it on.

"I know you have it all in your head, you need to just go with whatever you're feeling." Kylie nodded her head, she knew Nick was right.

The song was completed, it had been for months, she was constantly thinking about it. She just didn't know if she wanted to let Nick in that way.

Did she need to? He opened up to her about his girlfriends death. She turned the keyboard on, hesitated and then turned it off. Nick let out a sigh and leaned back.

"I'm ready to tell you." She said not looking at Nick. He sat up straighter and gave her his attention.

"About the song?"

"Yeah." She turned a little and picked up a picture frame that was on the end table and gave it to Nick. Right then he started to assume it was about a boy that broke her heart; maybe a frist love? Those are always hard to get over.

"That's me and my twin brother," she told him, erasing all of his assumptions. "Wes," she smiled a little thinking of him.

"I didn't know you had any siblings."

"Well, I don't any more. Wes died and it's my fault."

Nick listened intently, giving her room to think before she spoke. He could tell this was not an easy topic to talk about and saw the pain in her emerald eyes. The same eyes that Wes had now that Nick looked at the picture closer. Their lips both full, same dimples in their smiles and same noses.

"That picture was from our Senior Ball. Mom was big into taking pictures, I told her she'd get one and only one of me; because I was stubborn like that." Kylie laughed lightly and shook her head. "Wes and I were extremely different, yet we always just got each other you know? He knew when there was something up with me and vise versa. Call it a twin thing or whatever but we always had each other."

She shifted her weight so that her knees were tucked under her, she know clung onto a pillow to her chest; her eyes avoiding Nick's. Nick never took his own off of her, listening to her story.

"Wes was the high school jock, the guy every girl wanted to date and every Mother wanted their daughter to date. He was the star quarterback for the football team and captain of the lacrosse team. He wasn't a straight A student but he never had anything lower than a B. Funny, charming, sincere, honest, out going, he had it all. Including a full ride to play football for college.

"Me, I was pretty much everything Wes wasn't. I was a loner, I liked to do things on my own. I had my small group of friends and was content with that. I got straight A's but the discipline thing for me was not my forte. A lot of teachers would lower my grade to a B, just for showing up late for class or sometimes cutting early. But I did my work." Kylie shrugged and took the picture from Nick's hand and stared at it for a moment.

"My parents were always asking me why couldn't I be more like my brother. I'd joke and tell them that he should be like me because I was older, by two minutes." She grinned. "I wanted to play music, both of my parents were big athletes in school, my Dad also a big time football player and my Mom the cheerleader. I was enrolled in gymnastics at a young age, did pretty well with meets and loved it. My Mom wanted me to take her footsteps though and become the all star cheerleader whose brother was the football player.

"Yeah they invisioned some crazy stuff. I was pulled out of gymnastics when I was sixteen, level nine. Cheerleading was pushed and because I could do some serious tumbling and jumps I walked right onto the team. It really wasn't who I was at all. It's a hard sport with all the mounts but that kind of dancing and being peppy all of the time; it made me want to throw up. I made myself take some uppers before games and competitions because cheering didn't make me happy.

"I didn't hang out with the popular crowd, the only reason I wasn't given much of a hard time at school was because my brother was the class President and Quarterback. Anyway, I think you get the picture, my brother could do no wrong and my parent's looked at me as though I was a failure."

"That has to be hard in your brother's footsteps all the time in school."

"Yeah but I loved Wes to death and he was never embarassed to be around me, or give me a hug at school if I were having a bad day. He stuck up for me as much as he could with parents but I just couldn't be that kind of person. So, it was our Senior Ball, I was with my group of friends and Wes was with the entire class pretty much after but my date was a jerk. Wes tried to warn me but he going with him upset my parents and so that's why I took him. So after parties, I know you didn't do the school thing but there is drinking and weed and God knows what else we were doing. I was pretty drunk and high and my date started taking advantage of me, ripped my dress pretty much and forced himself right into me. I called Wes at one point crying and he told me to stay where I was and he'd come get me. I tried to tell him I could get a ride but he knew that we all had been drinking and supposedly he'd only had a few at his party..." At this point Kylie was squeezing the pillow harder to her body. Her eyes filled with tears but none escaped.

"My date got mad that I called my brother, jumped in his car and sped off. When my brother didn't show up in ten minutes like he said he would I knew something was wrong. I tried his phone over and over, it went right to voicemail as though it was shut off. I had another friend begin to drive me home almost an hour later and about a half mile down the road two cars were rolled over. Fire trucks, Police cars and ambulances surrounded the area and we pulled over. I recognized the first car which was my brother's, the second, my dates."

"Oh my God, Kylie I am so sorry."

"My brother's blood alcohol level was over but not by much and my date's well, he was way off the charts. But because they were both legally intoxicated there was no fault. My parent's haven't spoken a word to me since the day we buried my brother into the ground, the day before Graduation." Nick's heart went out for Kylie and he pulled her to him. "Nick you don't have to. I've made sure I haven't shed a tear since that night he was taken away. I know I don't deserve it."

"Kylie, that wasn't your fault. You had no idea." He squeezed her tighter and kissed her forhead. He could feel her body tensed and taking deep breaths as into trying to hold back her tears. "Baby let them go," he whispered. At that moment the first tear she ever released for her dead twin brother, rolled down her flushed cheeks.
Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl
Three and half hours later, after Nick's arrival and surprising Kylie with her new keyboard they completed the song Kylie had started over two years ago. It was changed around more than either had planned but Kylie went with her emotions and let out a sigh after she sang the last note to Nick.

"I feel..." She bit her lower lip thinking for a second and let out a half grin. "I feel complete."

"I'm glad, that's how you should feel. Kylie, thank you for sharing all of this with me."

"Thank you for being there. It just felt natural telling you honestly." She shrugged her shoulder.

"When is the last time you talked about his death and everything?"

"Truthfully, I never have to anyone. I mean my parents literally shut me out. I got my own life and started new and although I've always been happy, there has always been an emptiness in me. But I think the hole is a bit smaller now. You'd think I'd be more fucked up than I am." She laughed lightly.

"You're just a strong person. But you know if you ever need to talk about it again or just want to talk about your brother in general, I'm here."

"Same goes for you mister," Kylie raised her left eye brow poking Nick in the side.'

"I know. But I am starving let's go get something to eat."

"Yeah I feel like I need some air. Let me throw on a hat because my hair is crazy since I didn't blow dry it after I showered. But not as crazy as yours," she ruffled his hair and stood up. Before turning completely around, she stopped for a second, turned to face Nick and gave him a light kiss on his cheek. "Thanks," she said again before turning away.

Nick smiled and felt good himself for helping her out. He realized that the two now had more in common than he could imagine and although he still felt a strong connection with Kylie, he couldn't allow the two do be anything more than friends. She was set herself in making sure that only a friendship were to come out of this.

"Okay ready," she bounced into the room, wearing a New York Knicks cap, still sporting her sweats. Her face seemed brighter and Nick was happy to see that there were no left over tears from hours before. Still, he couldn't help but be worried for her. He cried like a baby when Stacie was taken away from him, he couldn't imagine losing Aaron or any one of his siblings. Especially a twin. But he knew she carried a lot inside, still blaming herself every day for his death. He only wished there was someway to help her cope and have acceptance that she had no control over what happened that night.

"What do you feel like?" Nick asked stepping out of her door and waited as she locked it from the outside.

"Want to go to Aja Noodle?"

"What's that?"

"Kinda like Chinese but healthier. It's good."

"Sure, I'm up for new. I'll drive," Nick said as they got into the elevator to go down six stories. The elevator made creaking noises and Nick glanced around nervously.

"Don't worry it won't break, it hasn't yet." Kylie laughed. "At least not while I've been inside it. I have had to take the stairs because it wasn't working."

"Lovely," Nick said sarcastically and when the door opened he let out his breath that he had been holding unconsciously.

"So I was thinking of going camping next week, I have Tuesday through Thursday off and go in Friday."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, what do you say about getting some people to go?"

"Sounds like fun. I'll ask Jay about it tonight, he may be doing some studio stuff next week but we'll see. He's not really a camping kind of guy but he would probably have fun."

"You should invite Brian and the other guys up?"

"Maybe," Nick shrugged as he turned his windshield wipers up a notch. "It is really pouring. We should've ordered in."

"I needed to get out of the apartment. It's not that bad and we need the rain. It's been like a month."

"I know."

"Turn here at the light," Kylie pointed to the left and Nick got into the lane. "So when are you going to start?"

"Start what?" Nick glanced at her with a funny look as he waited for the light to turn green.

"Start singing again." Kylie looked at Nick and watched as he his facial expression changed from a smile to a coldness. The light turned and Nick continued to drive, the radio was on low and a soft muffle of Pink's "So What" was on.

"I really don't know. I might not."

"Nick that's your life."

"Was."

"You're just going to give up and waste all of that talent you have."

"Look I'm helping you with your stuff, which I don't mind doing but maybe it's not what I'm supposed to be doing for the rest of my life. It took you this long to get this song out-"

"That's different Nick."

"Not really. I chose to stop singing after she died because it wasn't and still is not in my heart. You chose to not write that song because it wasn't in your heart yet."

"Alright I'm sorry I brought it up. I just thought you should know how your music actually reaches out to some people," Kylie's voice trailed off and she stared out to her right. She watched as the rain drizzled down and a minute later Nick pulled into the parking lot. Putting it into park, neither of them moved and he looked over at Kylie.

"I didn't mean to snap at you I'm sorry. Did my music reach out to you?" He asked hopeful.

"Maybe," Kylie had her arms crossed and said it in a sarcastic tone.

"Which song?"

"Pssh not going there boy, let's go eat." She grabbed her purse and got ready to open the door. "Ready to make a run for it?"

"Yup," Nick took his keys out and the two go out of the car and ran to the restaurant. They were quickly seated, and for being almost five o'clock it wasn't too packed yet.

As the two looked at the menus, deciding what to have for dinner Kylie's phone began to vibrate. She took it out of her purse, looked at the number and then set it back down.

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

"I don't know the number, if it's important they'll leave a message. Do you know what you're getting?"

"Probably whatever you'll have because I have no idea what any of this is."

"I just get the noodles with steamed veggies. It's not as boring as it sounds but you getting what I'm getting will be boring. Their chicken and rice is good."

"Yeah?" Nick asked and then glanced down at his menu again. "Alright. If I'm on the toilet all night, I'll be sure to call you and talk to you while I'm suffering.

"Oh stop, this is healthier than Chinese I told you." The waitress than came over and took their order, a long with ordering a bottle of wine. Kylie's phone then made a low beep and she picked it up to listen to the voice mail. She hit her four numbers in for her password and put the phone to her ear. Nick watched amused as her nose scrunched up and a smile played on her lips. She then hung up and put the phone down.

"So who was it? Must have been important if they left you a message."

"Remember that guy I met at work that one night. That his date was supposed to meet him there and then he was supposedly stood up. Well, he wants to take me to dinner later this week."

"Oh really?" Nick asked, trying to hide the jealousy in his voice. They were however just friends. "You going to go?"

"It's kinda weird it's been almost two weeks since I met him."

"That's true."

"But he is a lawyer and maybe he's just been busy?"

"True again."

"I'll call him later," Kylie tossed her hand up and took a sip out of her water. Their meals were brought soon and they continued to talk and make plans for their camping trip.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Later that week Kylie was getting herself ready for her date with the lawyer. She promised Nick numerous times that she would call him if she had any problems and when she got home, even if it were seven in the morning; hinting their would more than just a dinner date. Spritzing on her perfume, not her favorite, Bath and Body Works' "Sensual Amber", but Victoria's Secrets "Heavenly" because she only wore that for herself or around someone she liked. This was a fragrance that most women wore, it was strong but nothing that would leave a guy remembering her if he were to smell it again.

Glancing at herself in the mirror, she spun around giving herself the okay. He was taking her to a fancy restaurant, not something she was used to or matched her personality. She wore black Capri dress pants with a blue and black print halter top. Strappy heels were on her feet, exposing her newly pink polished toes and a toe ring on her right foot. Her ivy tattoo was exposed on the top of her left foot and she then thought that it was time she got a new one.

Seconds later her door buzzed and she hit the intercom. "Come on up," she spoke into it and picked up her purse. This would be the first date she's had since moving from New York. Between playing in coffee shops, writing music and work, she didn't have time and she had to ask for this night off; knowing she'd work a double shift Saturday.

A minute later a knock on her door made Kylie jump as she applied her flesh colored lip gloss and she threw it into her purse. Taking a deep breath in and letting it out slow she opened the door.

"Hey," she smiled brightly at her date. "You look great Mark."

"And you," he took her hand and kissed it, "Look beautiful."

"Thanks," Kylie gave him a smile. "Shall we?"

"We shall," Mark held her door open as she left and she turned around to lock it up. "Ya know I was afraid that this elevator wouldn't hold up on the way up."

"Yeah I usually take the stairs, but it hasn't quit on me yet...while inside of it at least."

"It's died before?"

"Yeah it gets repaired, or whatever that means like once a month. So where are we going."

"You like sea food?"

"Love it," she smiled and they went down the stairs. She could smell his cologne, it was strong and still couldn't determine if she liked it yet. Usually she was a sucker for any guys cologne that they wore but this one was almost over bearing. She was impressed but not surprised by the red Jag that sat on the street. He was a lawyer and this was just a estimate that he was a decent one.

"So you must forgive me for not calling you sooner," he said sincerely as he opened her door. She thanked him and got in.

"It's fine, I know how it is to be busy," she smiled politely.

"They had me go to Ohio for this case that no one else would take."

"Did you win?"

"Of course," he grinned and put the car into first gear.

"So how does this baby ride?"

"You'll be able to tell as soon as I pull out of here." He released the clutch and applied the gas, quickly pushing the clutch back in and shifting to second.

"Not bad," Kylie said. "You just get this?" She asked raising her left eye brow in amusement.

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"First stick shift?"

"Maybe," he said stiffly.

"I drive a stick too, sorry just giving you a hard time." She laughed. "It's a great car."

"Well, maybe I should have you show me how to drive it."

"Maybe you should." And before she knew it, he was pulling over and getting out of the car, allowing Kylie to get into the drivers seat.
~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"So you can't tell her I let you listen to this track, she'd flip out since it's just a rough edit." A.J. explained to Nick down in the studio.

"It's good she finally got the fourth song completed though. Let's hear it."

*I couldn't make this up
I have been outdone by my own kind
I always traded up, yeah
Now I'm a victim for the first time

And I can't pretend I'm not over the edge

Well, well baby what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I Get It
This is how hurt feels
And it's everything they say it is

I was untouchable
Until karma crashed my party
Found out I'm crushable, oh
And I'm the only one who's sorry

It's unprecedented, I can't turn the page

Well, well baby what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I Get It
This is how hurt feels
And it's everything they say it is

No, no, no don't you go
I do all the breaking up around here
No, no, no don't steal my show
You should be the one crying these tears

Well, well baby, what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I Get It
This is how a heart breaks
And it's all it's cracked up to be

Well, well baby what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I get it
This is how hurt feels
And it's everything they say it is*

Lyrics by Kate voegele "I Get It"


"That's the rough edit?" Nick asked when it was done.

"Yeah, she doesn't like the second verse."

"She needs to leave it. It's done."

"I tried telling her the same. She wants to come in tomorrow to fix it."

"She doesn't need to."

"Maybe if you tell her this, she seems to listen to you. Where is spunky tonight?"

"Date..."Nick's voice was barely audible and Alex looked up at Nick almost in shock.

"Huh? Did I hear you right?"

"Yeah. No big deal."

"I thought you two were-"

"No. We decided we'd be better friends which we are."

"That's bullshit. You both are like head over heels."

"Nah man. She's a really good friend and I'm glad that we're friends."

"Well, when are you going to start dating?" Alex asked carefully knowing Nick probably wasn't ready.

"It's too soon." Alex only nodded understanding.

"She's got some rough songs on here. Looks like some poor fool broke her heart."

"Yeah I really don't know," Nick said thinking. In all honestly this song had nothing to do with her brother and it was about a relationship. She didn't tell him about anything but then again he never really asked.


"Let's go grab some grub." Alex told Nick who only followed thinking about what Kylie was doing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Dinner was great, thank you again," Kylie said as they walked up and down the streets of busy L.A.

"My pleasure. Thanks for driving," Mark winked. "So I know you told me you're bar tending and doing the music thing but didn't you go to school?"

"Mmm no," she shook her head. "It wasn't for me. I'm happy now, isn't that what it's all about?"

"I guess."

"Aren't you happy with your job?"

"I make good money so yeah."

"Well, what do you do for fun?"

"This is pretty much it. I don't get time for much more honestly. Not for another fifteen years," he half joked. "Doesn't not knowing scare you? Like what if this music thing doesn't work out?"

"Then at least I know I tried my hardest to get my dream to come true. Maybe I'm only supposed to do small cafe shops? But people are still listening to me."

"That's pretty amazing," Mark told her stopping to look at her in her eyes.

"What is? Singing in coffee shops?"

"No, you just not caring about the unexpected. I couldn't ever do that. I have to know what I'm doing every day, pretty much every minute is scheduled out for me."

"Yeah see, I don't think I could live like that. The only thing I know every week is when I have to work and even sometimes I tell them to call me randomly to ask to work."

"Speaking of work, I'm going to have to take you home because I have to leave at five thirty am to catch a plane to New York."

"Alright," Kylie smiled and she knew then it would be there last date.
Chapter 11 by openarmsgirl
"So that's it, he just took you home, you didn't kiss or anything?"

"He was a nice guy Nick but please can you seem with a lawyer? He was looking for someone to be a stay at home Mom. I mean yes I want to have kids some day but I'm still way too young and living my own life right now." She explained to Nick as they jogged the hills.

"So there won't be a second date?"

"Nah. I'd have to set an appointment at least a month in advance. What did you do last night?"

"Hung out with A.J."

"And you did?"

"Just hung out." Kylie slowed her run down and kept her eyes on Nick.

"What?!" He asked putting his hands on his waist catching his breath.

"Nick."

"We just listened to some music..." Nick couldn't keep back his smile. "Okay he played your latest track, 'I Get It'."

"What?! It's no where near ready!"

"Kye, are you kidding me? That song is amazing. He played it because he kept telling you it was complete but didn't believe him. I told him I wanted to hear it for myself. I wouldn't change it at all."

"You're just saying that."

"It's me we're talking about here. You know I will always be completely honest with you Kylie." Nick moved closer to her and his eyes full of utter most sincerity.

"Thanks Nick," Kylie went to wrap her arms around him and then pushed him away. "Race you home!" She laughed and Nick followed behind trying to catch her.

"You're such a pain in the ass you know that?" Nick asked catching up to her.

"I know. Don't tell me you don't like it," she said in a seductive voice.

"Yeah yeah, so you're working tonight?"

"And tomorrow. You going to come visit?"

"I may." Nick breathed heavily when they reached his and Alex's house.

"Well, wouldn't want to put you out. I mean I know how busy you these days."

"Hey what does that supposed to mean."

"Come on Carter. You do the same thing pretty much every day and if I hadn't just been jumped, literally into your life then who knows where you'd be."

"It's true though." Nick smiled making Kylie blush a little.

"Okay, I have to go get ready for work. See you around Carter."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"I can't believe how busy we are tonight," Liz yelled to Kylie opening another bottle of vodka.

"Good thing, I need these tips." Kylie told her giving change back to a man.

"Look who is here," Liz gave her a knowingly look. Kylie cocked her head a little and saw Nick make his way to the bar and take a seat at the only open spot.

"What'll it be Carter?" Kylie asked smiling. Nick couldn't help but stare at her open v-neck black shirt. Kylie knew exactly where he was looking and leaned forward. "See something you like?"

"Yeah a Blue Moon," Nick said sitting back.

"Uh huh," Kylie shook her head and took out a frosted glass and used the tap to pour the beer. She then took out a slice of orange and put it on top.

"How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing. Hang on we're packed tonight." She told Nick and went to take care of another customer. Nick scanned the bar, there were quite of few people dancing out on the floor to a Shania Twain song. The pool tables and dart boards were full and the bar itself was unbreathable. Luckily this seat at the corner of the bar was here and he could breathe a little.

As took another sip of his beer, Nick felt himself relax a little. He couldn't remember the last time he just went out for a drink. He watched Kylie and her friend Liz from hiking the one day run back and forth around the bar. A younger guy bar backed and brought in another case of Blue Light.

"Hey this seat taken?" A female voice interrupted Nick's thoughts and he looked next to him. He didn't even know the seat had been empty to begin with.

"Uh no, help yourself." Nick nodded. The dark haired smiled with bright red lipstick. Her eyes were blue and he thought they were captivating.

"Illona," she held out her hand and Nick took it.

"Nick."

"You don't look like a country boy Nick."

"Well, you're not such the country girl are you?" Nick asked as he looked her up and down.

"Yeah no. Born and raised in L.A. what do you expect?" She laughed.

"So what brings you here?"

"My girl friends like to line dance. I come to drink."

"I don't see a drink in your hand."

"I was just going to get one."

"Let me. What do you like?"

"Sex on the beach," she said as she licked her lips. Nick smiled and tried to make eye contact with Kylie. Liz came over first.

"Hey Nick how are you."

"Great Liz, how are you?"

"Busy. What do you need?" She asked looking at Illona than back to Nick.

"Sex on the beach."

"You got it," she took out a glass and began pouring the cranberry juice in. "Here you go. Kylie says your drinks are all on the house tonight, a thank you for the keyboard."

"Well, here is a tip for you two." Nick took out his wallet and handed Liz a hundred.

"Nick not necessary."

"No please, you guys are busting your butts."

"Thanks," Liz said and put the hundred with the other tips.

"So are you seeing one of the bar tenders?'

"Nah, just good friends. That's Kylie right there." He pointed her out.

"She's cute. Why aren't you seeing her?"

"Just better as friends."

"Thanks for the drink Nick. So tell me, you look familiar. Should I know you?" Nick let out a nervous laugh, not really sure what to tell her. Usually he didn't care if he told people who he was but now that it's been so long and since he knew he would no longer be again with the group he felt stuck.

"I'm a musician."

"Oh? From a band?"

"Yeah the Backstreet-"

"Boys. Got it now."

"Know of me?"

"A little. My kid sister was into you guys a lot. I was more of a rock girl. Nirvana, Buck Cherry kind of sort."

"I am too, don't get me wrong. I just sing better to pop songs and such."

"Don't get me wrong, I like your music. So when you guys getting back together." At that moment Nick picked up his beer, finished it and ordered another one. "Okay guess going onto next topic."

"It's fine. I think I'm done with the music thing. So, what do you do?"

"You'll laugh."

"Why's that?"

"Because it's typical."

"Actress?"

"Model."

"Ah," Nick nodded and drank another sip. "You're a great model."

"How do you figure?" Illona laughed.

"Cause you're smoking babe," Nick laughed at himself.

"Want to do a cherry bomb?"

"Sure," Nick then raised his hand over to Kylie to get her attention.

"Yes?" She smiled coming up.

"Another one of these," Nick pointed to his beer. "Another one of those," he pointed to Illona's almost empty sex on the beach. "And two cherry bombs."

"You got it," Kylie smiled again, trying to keep back the jealousy that settled at the pit of her stomach. She served the drinks and had even made herself a cherry bomb and drank it before the couple had a chance.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"And I totally slipped on flower pedals during the shoot, flat on my back, my bare ass managed to catch the shot." Illona bursted out laughing. It had been two hours after Nick had arrived and the two talked and continued to drink at a steady pace both well drunk.

"Yeah that happened to me on stage once. I ripped my pleather pants though bending over doing a dance move and the crowd saw a full moon," Nick laughed hard finishing his beer.

"Hey you want to get out of here, we can take a cab back to my flat. It's ten minutes away."

"Sounds good," Nick grinned and stood up taking her hand. He left another hundred on the bar and got Kylie's attention.

"You heading out?" She asked.

"Yes. I will call you tomorrow."

"You're not driving Nick are you?"

"Nope," he grinned and held up Illona's hand.

"She's not driving." Kylie said seriously.

"We're taking a cab Mom," Illona laughed.

"Alright, later Carter."

"Later Doll."
Chapter 12 by openarmsgirl
The next morning Nick woke up, his head throbbing and the light shinning on brightly. His chest felt heavy and as he tried to move he looked near him and saw a mess of dark auburn hair. He tried to remember where he was and who was on him. It wasn't Kylie. What did he do last night? It all then came back, the beers, the shots, the girl. Was the sex at least good? It had been forever it seemed since he had any but he couldn't even remember.

In the distance he could here his phone vibrating and his jeans were on the ground away from the bed. As he tried to sit up, Illona moaned a little and rolled off him.

He sat up reached for his shirt that lay on the ground and put it on. He then stood up found his boxers then his jeans. After getting dressed he took out his cell phone and opened it. One miss call from Kylie.

"She's not going to let me live this down." He hated one night stands, he hadn't done one since the last Backstreet tour. It wasn't who he was but what were the chances he'd see this girl again. He quietly walked out of her bedroom and to the front door. His eyes squinted in the hot Californian sun and he put the phone to his ear after he pressed the send button.

"Where are you?" Kylie asked as she picked up.

"Sunset boulevard."

"Be there in fifteen. There's a bagel shop at the corner."

"Okay I'll be there."

"See you." Nick shook his head and had to laugh at how well Kylie knew him already. He saw the bagel place and walked to it. He ordered two coffee's and a water before sitting at a table by the door. Within fifteen minutes Kylie walked in. She wore teal shorts, a white halter top and brown flip flops. She looked fresh and bubbly but when didn't she?

"Morning sunshine," she kissed Nick's cheek and sat down.

"Coffee," he pushed over her cup as she put her sunglasses up onto the top of her head.

"Thanks. Glad to see you're in one piece. So how was it?"

"I honestly have no idea."

"Did you just walk out?"

"Yeah. Not usually how I am so I feel bad."

"But she obviously knew that last night was all it was going to be." Nick looked up surprised at what Kylie just said.

"You're not going to lecture me?"

"Nah. You deserved it that's why I got you good and drunk. I made those shots doubles," Kylie laughed.

"Thanks, I'm feeling them still." Nick said sarcastically and took another sip from his coffee.

"Alex called me. I'm going to record the song we just did."

"That's great. It's ready."

"Nick can you do me a favor?"

"Of course."

"Will you sing in it with me?"

"Kylie-"

"Please, it will sound better with a duet and you know that."

"Ask A.J. He will."

"But his voice won't go with mine with this type of song. Nick just try?" Nick let out a sigh running his hands through his hair.

"Let me think about it," he rubbed his eyes.

"Thank you Nick!" Kylie jumped up and gave him a hug.

"I need to go home and shower and get some aspirin."

"Oh here," Kylie dug in her purse, opened up a container and gave him two Excedrin's.

"You rock," he said putting them on his tongue and taking a swig from his water.

"I know. Let's go," she hooked her arm through Nick's and they made their way to the car.
~*~*~*~*~
"Alright I think we have the music all set, we need to just do the hard part. The voice recording. Did Nick get back to you yet?" Alex asked still playing with the music board.

"No. He said he'd let me know tomorrow." Kylie sighed. "I mean if he doesn't, would you want to try with me?"

"Of course but I think you're right. His voice would go well with yours. But Nick hasn't sang in such a long time."

"It's not like he could forget how A.J."

"Yes but it's an emotional thing now."

"I know." Kylie glanced down at her watch. "Dang, I have to go home and get ready for work. I will call you in the morning. Thanks Alex," she gave him a hug and kiss.

"Okay, I'll try to talk to Nick tonight. I think he's planning on staying home. I heard you weren't so nice to him last night."

"I just made the drinks. I didn't order them for him."

"Doubles?" Alex laughed.

"He deserved it. Later Jay." Kylie laughed and bounced out the door.
~*~*~*~*~
"Nick it's one song and it would mean a lot to her."

"I know A.J but my heart just isn't into it anymore."

"But it's not for you. It's for her."

"And if you knew the whole story behind the song you'd see why it's important to have my whole heart into it."

"We'll do one recording of it. If you don't think you can fully do it then I'll figure something else out with her."

"I don't know."

"You helped her write it."

"I know."

"There is something there between the two of you."

"I know," Nick sighed.

"So?"

"Okay I'll do it."

"Let's do it Monday afternoon at one?"

"Okay."

"Good. You'll be glad you did this Nick."

"Hope you're right."

When am I not right?" A.J. asked defending himself.

"You really want me to go there?"

"Alright guess not. Want me to tell her, or you?"

"I'll send her a text, she's at work right now. It shouldn't be too busy for a Sunday night." Nick took out his phone.

::I'll do the song.:: He wrote and hoped he would be able to be strong enough for her sake. It could be her first single, but maybe not since he was in it. He didn't want her to get fame because of Nick Carter. Perhaps "It's Only Life", nah too slow he thought. He then realized that A.J. would pick out the song with her. His thoughts were broken to the vibration to his Pearl.

::I LOVE you Carter!:: Nick couldn't help but smile as he read it. Before he could respond he got another one.

::When are we going to record??:: Nick remembered what A.J had had told him and wrote back.

::Monday at one::

::Okay I'll be there! Thanx again.::

::Don't thank me yet. How is work?::

::Kind of slow. Hopefully be out by midnight.:: Nick had gone up to his room and laid down in bed. He felt tired from the previous nights events. He flipped on his TV with his cell phone in his hand.

::What are U doing over there?::

::Chillin. Tired.::

::It's only ten!::

::Not everyone can be up at all hours like you.::

::That's why I'm special.::

::Very true.::

::Get some sleep. I'll call U tomorrow.::

::Okay goodnight.::

::Sleep sweet Carter.:: Nick set his phone next to him and within minutes he had passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"LAST CALL!" Kylie shouted and rung the bell. There were only a few people in the bar and they were playing darts.

"Okay Ky I'm going to head out. Are you good to lock up?"

"I'm good Sam! Goodnight!" She smiled and finished cleaning the counter. She watched as a couple walked out the exit. There was one lone drinker at the bar finishing his whisky. "Alright Sir we're going to close in about five minutes," Kylie said politely.

"You got it baby," he slurred and grinned at her. He was about thirty-five years old, his brown hair was peppered with gray hairs. He had bright blue eyes and was fairly decent looking. His fore arms were built and tanned.

"Do you need me to call you a cab?"

"That would be fan-abulous-astic," he tipped his glass back and slid it across the bar. "How about just one more?"

"Sorry it's closing time. Pal." She shut off the televisions and picked up the phone to call a cab. After making the call she continued to tie up loose ends around the bar, shutting off neon signs, picking up a few stray beer bottles and putting up chairs. She went into the back room where she told her bar back he could go home and washed her hands. Tired from being on her feet for the last two nights, she turned off the light and when she went back out to the bar the loner had left. Thankful, she grabbed her purse and locked up the door as she headed out.

"Twelve-forty-five. Early for a Sunday I suppose," she told herself and went to her car that sat alone in the parking lot. As Kylie was about to put her key into the drivers side to unlock it, a hand grabbed her from behind and cupped her mouth. The other had wrapped around the small of her waist and pulled her to the aggressive body.

"Shh, I won't hurt you. I just want to have a little fun," the man slurred and she could smell the alcohol on his breath like no other. With her heart racing she knew she had to stay calm if she were to ever get out of this. Her purse had fell from her hands, the contents spilled out and her keys hung in the door. "That's it baby," at that moment she knew it was the guy from the bar. Trying to take in a deep breath, she let it out the best she could before stomping her heel onto the guys foot and then jabbing him in the stomach with her elbow. It freed her for a few seconds as she hurried to get back to her car but a hand came to her face and strike her against her right cheek. She was hit so hard she fell to the ground, her knee banged into the pavement, sending a pain shooting up and down her leg.

"Now, you don't try that again and I won't have to hurt you," he straddled on top of her and unzipped his pants. No way would she allow this to happen. She was small but strong and brought her un-injured knee to the man's groin causing him to fall over. Kylie dragged herself to the car and as she went to pull herself up she heard a car horn honk and the drunk clumsily stood to this feet and ran off. Exhausted, scared and in pain she stayed on the ground trying to catch her breath.

Kylie picked up a few things that had fallen from her purse, shoved them back in and reached up with a hand to unlock her door. Staying on one foot she pulled herself up and got into the car, immediately locking the doors. Her hands shook as she tried to put the key into the ignition to start the car. Her first thought was to call Nick but she didn't want to worry him and knew he'd be asleep. Calming herself down, she looked into the review mirror, wiped away the few tears that ran down her already bruised cheek and pushed back her hair. Kylie sucked in a sharp breath as she put her foot on the gas and drove off home.

"God you're so stupid Kylie for walking out by yourself and not being aware of your surroundings," she blamed herself. The music wasn't touched and the car ride was silent.

She pulled into her street and opened the door to get up to her apartment. She picked her right leg up with her hands and pulled it out of the car. "Great," she said knowing that getting to the front door of the building was going to be a bitch. She slung her purse over her shoulder and pushed off the door to help herself up. Grabbing anything and everything around her to help her make it to the door, she limped and dragged her leg. Thankful once inside that the elevator was working she got in and pressed the top floor.

Once inside her apartment, she locked the doors and plopped herself on the couch. No way could she make it around the hall to get to her bedroom for the night. Giving into emotions, she began crying and soon fell asleep from exhaustion.
~*~*~*~*~*~
"I thought you told her one o'clock?" Alex asked Nick in frustration. It was one-forty five and Kylie hadn't shown up to the studio.

"I don't know man, she's not answering her phone. I tried at ten this morning and every hour since."

"Did she have to work?"

"No but she does tonight at five." Nick said taking out of his phone and sending her another text message.

"This isn't like her to just blow it off."

"Especially since she knew how I feel about this singing thing."

"I don't know, I'm supposed to meet with another artist at four-thirty here so I don't know what to do."

"Give her a few more." Nick paced back and forth and looked back at the text message he sent her about the time. "One o'clock I wrote," he said to himself.
~*~*~*~*~
Mean while Kylie had managed to drag herself, literally, to the shower that afternoon at twelve. She had slept in until almost eleven-thirty which was something she hadn't done in a long time. With her towel wrapped around her waist, she stared into the foggy mirror, clearing it off with her hand she gently touched her cheek. It was purple and blue and a large scrap on her elbow had began to scab. Her knee was as big as a basket ball and bruised pretty good. She wished she brought her crutches when she moved but assumed she wouldn't need them again. Knowing there was no way she was going back to work, she put on a pair of gray shorts and a white spaghetti tank top. She ran a brush through her hair and then hopped on one foot back out to the living room where her phone was in her purse.

She gingerly sat down on the couch, used both of her hands again to bring her leg up onto a pillow and took phone out. "Five missed called all from Nick?" She said to herself. "The recording!" She had totally forgot about it and it was almost two. "Two hours to shower, that's ridiculous," she tried to make herself laugh as she thought about it. She hit the send button and put the phone to her ear to talk to Nick.

"Where are you?!" His voice boomed on the other side.

"Nick, I'm sorry. I-I just totally slept in and I'm not feeling great today. Can you ask A.J. if we can reschedule please?"

"Are you sick?" Nick's voice softened and now sounded concern.

"Maybe just getting a cold. I'm sorry, I mean I could come down to try but my voice probably wouldn't be great and I have to be at work at five so..."

"No, stay home and rest. I'll talk to A.J. and we'll figure out another time. You sure you're okay? You don't sound yourself."

"I'm sick Nick, what d you expect," she laughed lightly and her finger tips touched her cheek remembering last night. Her stomach turned at the thought the guy attempted to do more. "I'm going to lay down, talk to you later Nick. Bye." She quickly hung up the phone and held her breath, trying to keep back the tears.

"Was that Kylie?"

"Uh yeah. She's sick."

"And she couldn't call me earlier?"

"I don't know, she didn't sound good."

"Alright well I'm going to go eat before having to come back here."

"She called me Nick more than once."

"Well, that is your name blondie."

"Usually it's Carter."

"Want to get some lunch with me?"

"Sure." Nick agreed, his mind still on Kylie.
Chapter 13 by openarmsgirl
Later that night, Kylie was woken up from a knock on her door. She looked at the clock and it read seven PM. She called into work sick and without questioning her she received the night off. Rubbing her eyes, Kylie sat up, wincing in pain her body was in. The door knocked again, this time harder.

"Hold on!" She yelled and pulled her self up. She hopped onto one foot and made her way to the door and looked out the peep hole. "Damn," she whispered when she saw it was Nick. She let the right side of her hair fall into her face to try to cover the bruise. Sighing, she unlocked the door and opened it up. "Hey," she tried to smile brightly.

"I went to see you at work, they said you called in. Something you've never done before, so I figured you were real sick. I brought you some soup." He smiled and held out a can of chicken noodle soup.

"I should be thankful you didn't make it," she laughed and took the can. Her head stayed tilted down and she stood in the door way, balancing on the door.

"You going to let me in?" Nick asked.

"Uh maybe you shouldn't. I don't want you to get sick," she tried to tell him.

"Why are you being a weirdo," he laughed and then noticed her cheek. "What did you do?" Nick asked with concern. His hand with instinct rose up to her face but as he was about to touch it she pulled away.

"It's not a big deal. You know me, not very graceful." She joked.

"You're not telling me something." Nick said with a seriousness in his voice. He then tried to step in and watched as she tried to shift her weight, scrunching her face up.

"Ugh fine, I got sort of attacked on way my to my car after work last night."

"WHAT?! By whom? Why were you by yourself?" Nick asked throwing questions at her. She placed the can of soup down on a chair and the closed the door.

"If you'd help me to the couch I'd tell you, I think my knee is pretty screwed up." She said looking down at it. Nick took her arm and put it around his waist and put an arm around hers. He could feel her use him like a crutch with a lot of weight, meaning it must've been bad. She sat down and he watched as she had to pick her own leg up to the couch.

"I was closing by myself last night, a drunk guy had been left over. I called him a cab and when I came back he had left. But on my way to the car, he grabbed me from behind, hit my face and I fell down onto this knee. He tried to take his pants off and mine but the cab came and he ran off."

"Did you call the cops." Nick said more as a statement than a question.

"I had nothing on this guy. I just wanted to get home."

"He didn't, you know rape you did he?"

"No, I kicked him in nuts before he had a chance. I'm sorry Nick."

"For what?"

"Not telling you."

"You should've called me last night."

"I wanted to but I just didn't want to bother you. This is twice since I've been here in L.A. What are the chances?" she joked.

"You should get an X-Ray." Nick said seriously looking her over.

"Nah I'm fine, it's not that bad."

"You can't put any weight on your leg."

"You know it's just a trick knee."

"Yes, but you actually injured it this time. Nothing tricky. Where are your shoes?"

"Nick..." But before she could stop him, he had disappeared into her room coming out with a pair of sneakers. He helped her put them on and looked down at her.

"I should've been there," he said dropping his head.

"What are you talking about Carter?"

"I just should've been." He handed her her purse and picked her up into his arms.

"This is going to take like five hours you know."

"I know, but at least I'm with you," he smiled and headed out the door. He carefully put her to her feet and she locked the door. Nick pressed the down button for the elevator.

~*~*~*~*~*~
One am, Nick pulled up to Kylie's apartment. "Okay that took six hours," he laughed. "Are you tired?"

"Actually I'm pretty wide awake. What about you?"

"Same. Considering we had three cups of coffee."

"We can make some more, and I have the good tasting stuff."

"Sounds good," Nick got out and went around to the passenger door. He took out the pair of crutches the doctor gave Kylie from the back and handed them to her.

"I can't believe I have to wear this big bulky brace for a hairline fracture."

"They wanted you in a cast missy."

"Yeah and not shower?" Nick helped guide her leg out of the car and stand up. Shutting her door they made their way to the apartment and inside. Nick pressed the up button and within a minute the elevator opened. The two climbed in and the doors shut, Kylie pressed her top floor and the two waited for them to reopen.

"I think you pissed that one nurse off asking all of those questions," Kylie laughed and crutched her way out of the elevator as the doors opened.

"You think?" Nick joked. He took Kylie's keys and opened her door, holding it as she went in. "You go sit, I'll make the coffee."

"I can help."

"You're supposed to be off that leg for two days. I have no idea how you managed to get up here last night."

"I am a woman of many talents!" She laughed and went into the living room. "Let's watch Pirates of the Caribbean!" She said going through her movies, she took it out and went to her DVD player. Throwing her crutches on the ground she plopped down and put the movie in. It was then she realized she was going to have a hard time getting up.

"What are you doing?" Nick asked trying not to laugh, knowing Kylie was having a hard time standing up. He went over to her side and took her hands to pull her up. He then picked her up and put her on the couch. "Stay!" He said before going back into the kitchen.

"I'm not a freaking dog Carter! And I need my crutches I need to pee, unless you want me to just gimp over to the bathroom!" She yelled and Nick came out and picked her crutches up and handed them to her.

"You're kind of a pain in the ass when you're helpless."

" I am not helpless, I don't need you here," she defended.

"Uh huh, you going to make it up to those two steps to your bathroom?"

"Bite me," She glared at Nick but before she could walk away he pulled her to him.

"Gladly," he smiled and lowered his lips down to hers.

"Nick I thought we already-"

"Shh, can't you just go with the moment without thinking too much?"

Kylie thought for a second and smiled before kissing him back. "Okay well, I have to pee first then I'll answer." She turned away and headed to the bathroom. Nick went back into the kitchen to finish the coffee. As he poured the two cups and was about to carry them into the living room, the apartment began to shake. The coffees spilled onto the kitchen floor, shelves rattled knocking off pictures and other collectibles. It took Nick a minute to realize they were having an earth quake.

"Nick?!" Kylie called and the shaking got bigger as she was about to go down the two small steps. Nick heard the fall and put the cups onto the counter and ran out to where Kylie was.

"Come on we have to get into the bathtub," he knelt down next to her noticing the tears. "You hurt?" He asked picking her up. She didn't answer and Nick brought her into the bathroom and into the shower. It was a small area and the two had to stand. Kylie's arms wrapped around Nick's neck as his arms enclosed her waist. "It will be over in a minute," he told her noticing her shake. "Ever been in one of these before?" He asked.

"What a bathtub?" She joked back. "No this is a first." There was one more good shake, and Kylie felt she couldn't stand any more. Nick held tighter onto her and when the shaking subsided he let go just a little. The power had gone off and Nick still felt Kylie grasp him hard.

"See you made it," he pulled her away a little and kissed her cheek. She nodded her head and placed her forehead against his chest. "I'm going to get you some ice and call A.J." He picked her up once again and brought her to the living room. She looked around and groaned at the mess. Nick disappeared into the kitchen an came back with a bag of ice. His phone was cradled between his ear and neck as he unstrapped the immobilizer on her knee. He placed the ice on it and heard a beep. Looking down at the phone, he saw Amanda calling him.

"Mandy?" He answered.

"Nick! It's A.J! He's knocked out and I can't get through the cops and the tree fell on the car. I don't know what to do?!"

"Okay calm down, I'm on my way. Are you near things that can fall?"

"Not really, we're in the middle of a door way."

"There will be after shocks, you need stay put."

"Nick hurry!' She cried into the phone and Nick hung up.

"What's wrong?" Kylie asked with concern.

"Something with A.J. We have to go."

"Nick is it safe?'

"I have to get there."

"Nick I can't stay here by myself."

"You think I'd leave you here? I'm going to get you a sweatshirt. Where are your flashlights?"

"Linen closet across from the bathroom." Nick jumped up and moved quickly to get a flash light for him and one for Kylie before getting her a sweatshirt. "Put it on," he threw it to her and got her crutches that were on the ground.

"Nick the elevator," Kylie said knowing it would be out as they stepped ouf of the apartment.

"We can do stairs. It's only what, seven flights?" He smiled.

"It will prob be easier if I do them myself. Just take one crutch," she handed him one and placed the other under her left arm. Holding onto the rail with her right hand she began to hop down step by step.

By the third flight down Kylie had slowed down and was tired.

"Keep going, we need to get to A.J." Nick told her. Kylie nodded as Nick shone the flashlight down the steps. Another couple had passed them going up. Nick tried his cell phone but he had no signal where they were. There was then an afters chock, Kylie gripped the railing as her feet went under her. Nick also slipped next to her, hitting his head.

"Dammit!" He yelled pulling himself to his feet and rubbing his head. "Kylie?" He asked putting the light onto her. She was holding her leg with both hands and biting her lower lip. "Here take these and get on my back," he gave her the crutches and pulled her up onto one leg. He knelt down so she could climb up and he made his way down the rest of the way. They made it to the bottom and when they stepped outside, sirens were every where,cops, fire trucks and ambulances. Nick set Kylie down, handed her the crutches and headed for his car.

"You're not doing too well are you babe?" He asked opening her door.

"I'm good," she smiled at him and did her best to be strong. He helped her get in and got in himself. "Main street is going to be blocked, we'll take the back way."

Traffic was slow and there were power lines down every where. The main gate to A.J's house was locked because of the power being down when Nick pulled up to it.

"What do we do?" Kylie asked. Nick ran his hands through his hair trying to come up with something.

"The power is out, it should fly open," he put the SUV into reverse and then back into gear. "Brace yourself," he told Kylie as he floored it and went through the gate. "Woohoo!" Nick yelled as he made it through and sped to the house. He jumped out of the car and ran up to the house. Kylie climbed out soon after and followed him.

"Amanda?!" Nick yelled.

"Back here Nick!" She yelled and Nick jogged to where she was. Amanda was kneeling next to A.J. who was out on his back. A small gash was on his forehead and a bookshelf was knocked over next to him. He assumed he got hit by that.

"Has he woke up at all?"

"No. Kylie what happened to you?"

"Not related to this. You okay?" She asked Amanda.

"I'm fine. I just want him to wake up."

"A.J. can you hear me?" Nick tapped his face. "Come on man wake up."

"Amanda get a cold wash cloth." Kylie told her and she tried to sit on the ground next to Nick. "How is his pulse?" She asked.

"It's there," Nick felt on his neck. "It's a little faint but there. Alex open your eyes!" He yelled. Amanda then returned with two wash cloths. Kylie took them and put one on A.J.'s forehead and one behind his neck. The house then began to shake a little, Amanda jumped closer to everyone and Nick put an arm around Kylie who let out a small scream. "You're alright," Nick whispered and kissed the top of her head.

There was then a low moaning sound and A.J.'s eyes fluttered open. "Nick?" He asked.

"Hey man, welcome back. Don't move, you hit your head in the earthquake."

"No shit?" He asked and Amanda knelt next to him.

"Baby you okay?"

"My head is throbbing but I think I'm fine." He said trying to sit up and Nick helped him.

"I think we need to just stay put somewhere until this is over and listen to a radio."

"Let's go down to the studio, probably the safest." A.J. was now on his feet, and Amanda had an arm around him to help him balance.

"Okay I'll grab some water bottles and come down. Kylie go with them."

"Nick I-"

"If there is another afters chock I want you sitting down. God knows what more damage is done to your knee."

Kylie nodded his head, knowing he was right and followed the two down the hall towards the door to the downstairs studio. Amanda had a flash light and lead the way. Down the stairs Kylie left a crutch at the top of the stairs and used one and the railing to go down again. At the bottom she then realized she couldn't go any further.

"Here lean on me," Amanda said after she had A.J. sitting down. "So what did you do?"

"Fracture my knee cap. It feels pretty much just shattered right now though, took a couple falls from the quake."

"Ouch, yeah let's get you on the couch." Amanda helped her sit and at that time Nick returned with a bag of snacks and drinks. Amanda had gone to turn on the radio and find some more light.

"How you doing?" Nick asked as he watched Kylie try to pick her leg up. He helped her lift it up onto the couch and then let out a sigh.

"I'm fine, just not liking the dark. You know..."

"Oh I totally forgot. Here keep this flashlight."

"Nick!" Kylie yelled out as Nick had turned away.

"What?"

"Seriously I don't feel comfortable. I wasn't joking about that story and the well. My chest gets tight when I'm alone."

"Here's the radio, they're not saying much right now." Amanda set it down on the floor.

"Mandy can you find some candles?"

"Sure, I know where they are."

"Thanks," Nick told her and sat next to Kylie. "Damn girl you're shaking."

"I know I'm a big baby. Alex how you doing over there?"

"Great with the exception of this pounding headache."

"Babe I need to get him some pain killers. I'll be right back."

"Be quick." Nick pecked her lips and he jogged up the stairs.

"Alright lighting some candles to make it smell good." Amanda said flicking her lighter and lighting candle jars around the room.

"And giving us light," Kylie pointed out the obvious. Nick came back down a second later and gave A.J some pain medicine.

"See nice lit up now," Nick said sitting down again next to Kylie.

"Eh," she wasn't too sure of that. "Hey Nick?"

"Hmm?" He asked taking a blanket from behind him and putting it over the two of them.

"Why did you kiss me earlier?"

"Didn't it feel like the right moment?"

"Yes but we've had a lot of those moments and you chose then."

"Like now?" He asked and leaned in kissing her.

"It's about time you two!" Alex laughed who had his arm around Amanda. Kylie stifled a yawn and fought to keep her eyes open.

"Go to sleep it's three am."

"And I want to go to b-ea-ad. Got a lady running through my-"

"What are you singing?" Nick asked.

"O.A.R? Duh?" Kylie told him.

"Did you really just say 'duh' to me?"

"Maybe. But you don't know who they are?"

"I know of them but not their music."

"You're deprived."

"Go to bed," Nick kissed the top of her head and she lay on his shoulder.

"Sorry for being such a girl Nick."

"Well, you are a girl hate to break it to you buddy."

"You know what I mean."

"You're injured and its all just bad timing. Get some rest, they should have power running by the morning. Besides I kinda like taking care of girls." He squeezed her gently and lay back to get comfortable. Within minutes the two had fallen asleep from exhaustion.
Chapter 14 by openarmsgirl
Nick hadn’t gone to bed that night. He felt it was his place to look over everyone down in Alex’s studio. Especially A.J. A.J. has taken him in without question and has done nothing but support Nick. He woke up A.J. every hour to check his concussion and let Mandy and Kylie sleep. He knew that he would have to get A.J. and Kylie both checked out in the hospital but from listening to the radio, he found out that most area hospitals were crazy full from the previous night’s earthquake.
“Alex, Alex wake up,” Nick slightly shook his friends shoulder.
“Mmm, what time is it?” He asked sitting up a little, careful not to wake up Amanda who was asleep in his arms.
“It’s a little after eight. The roads are being cleared and I think we should get you two down to the hospital to just get checked out.”
“I’m feeling better man, I’m good. Thanks for waking up all through the night.”
“Well, I’d feel better knowing and Kylie has been restless all night with her knee.”
“Alright, I’ll get Amanda up and we’ll start to get ready.” Nick nodded his head and walked over to Kylie who was on the couch, her leg propped up.
“Kye, wake up.” Nick brushed a few strands of her hair out of her face. Her eyes fluttered open and a small smile appeared on her face. “Morning, how are you feeling?”
“I’m fine, how is Alex?” She asked trying to look over at A.J.
“He’s alright. We’re going to get freshened up and get you and him looked at.”
“I don’t want to go to the hospital,” she whined a little and sat up. Nick couldn’t help notice her wince in pain.
“I know but do it for me please?”
“How can I say no to that face?”
“You can’t, now let’s get you moving.” He pecked her cheek and stood up. He handed picked up her crutches that lay on the ground and watched as she struggled to move her leg over. He put them against the wall and helped her pick up her leg to the floor.
“Thanks,” she then took Nick’s hands to help her stand. Her good leg was shaking as she stood and her hurt leg was in more physical pain than she had ever endured. Nick, still holding her hand reached over to get her crutches again.
“Okay, let’s get up stairs. Go slow.” Nick’s hand rested his hand on her lower back as she took her first step.
“Nick, I’m not one to complain, I can even handle pain but I can’t move this leg at all.” She looked up at him helplessly, tears threatening to fall.
“Shh, it’s okay. I’ll carry you.” He then gently picked her small body up into his arms and carried her up the stairs to help her get ready.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Nick, Kylie, Alex, and Mandy arrived at the hospital a little after ten that morning. Nick pushed Kylie in a wheel chair into the waiting room after being told they would be seen “as soon as possible.” They all knew that it would be at least a couple hours.
“So, we’re going to have to post pone the hiking trip this weekend,” Kylie said with a little laugh.
“It’s quite alright, I think I can let it slide this one time,” Nick played. Alex and Mandy were both amazed at how much Nick was smiling and joking-all with Kylie. She truly did bring out the best in Nick and it was obvious that Nick did the same for her.
“We’re going to have a mess clean up later,” Mandy said with a sigh taking a sip from the coffee they had all gotten before going to the hospital.
For the next hour small talk was made and Alex had made a few phone calls to friends and family who called asking about the quake.
A doctor dressed in scrubs, who looked as though he had been here all night came over to the group.
“Hi, my name is Dr. Roberts and I’m just going through to see who needs immediate attention. As you can tell, we’re a little busy today,” he smiled with a clipboard in his hands.
“Check him first, he was knocked out,” Kylie said pointing to A.J.
“Hi, Dr. Roberts,” the doctor held his hand out to A.J.
“Alex,” A.J. shook his hand back.
“Alright, just tell me what happened.”
“I was in my office when the earth quake happened, and the book shelf fell and hit me here. I’m not sure how long I was out.”
“He was out for about fifteen minutes and Nick here made sure he woke up once every hour last night.”
The doctor took out a lighted pen and had Alex follow it with his eyes. He then pushed on his head in a few spots and asked questions.
“Well, Alex. You are looking good to me. As long as you’re not feeling dizzy or sick, I have no reason for you to stay. If you have any of these symptoms that show up, I would come back as soon as possible.”
“Sweet. Thanks Doc.” A.J. nodded his head.
“Okay who else?” The doctor asked jotting down some notes. When Kylie didn’t speak up, Nick did.
“Her right here.” Kylie shot Nick a look. “ This is Kylie. She fractured her knee cap the night before last but took a few falls during the earth quake last night. She wasn’t able to even use her crutches today, she was so much in pain.
“Alright, let’s take a look.” The Doctor began to unstrap the bulky immobilizer from her knee that was propped up on the leg rest of the wheelchair. He then unraveled the ace bandage after. Nick watched intently as Kylie squeezed the arm rests of the wheel chair and bit her lower lip.
“Whew, okay I can tell already you’ve dislocated it.” The doctor felt around the black and blue knee that was more swollen than when she first hurt it.
“I should’ve gotten you here last night,” Nick said now standing next to the doctor.
“It’s alright, we wouldn’t have been able to see her anyway because of other serious injuries we had. We will however have to operate. When you dislocate a knee, you usually end up tearing ligaments.”
“Seriously?” Kylie sighed loudly and Nick took her hand.
“Yeah, I’m sorry. But we will also have to put it back into place today since we won’t be able to get you into the O.R. until at least tomorrow. I’ll have a nurse come back to get you a room.” He then took off to the nurses’ station.
“This sucks.” Kylie said.
“It will be fine. You’ll be in and out.” Nick tried to tell her optimistically.
“Kylie?” A nurse came out to the waiting room.
“Right here,” Nick said and the nurse came over.
“Okay, I’m going to take you to a room and have you fill out some paper work.”
“Mandy, here take the keys and you guys can head on home. I’ll stay with her and call you later.” Nick said giving Mandy the keys.
“You sure? We can stay Nick.” Alex said.
“Yeah I’m sure. It’s going to be awhile and I don’t want her to stay by herself.”
“Alright. Call us. Feel better Kylie,” Alex said kissing her cheek.
“Thanks,” she said with a half-smile. The nurse then pushed her out of the waiting room and down the hall into a room.
“Okay hon, we’re going to get you up onto this bed and I have an ice pack here for you.”
“I’ll get her up,” Nick told the nurse and picked Kylie up carefully and put on the bed. The nurse then put a pillow under her knee and an ice pack on top of the swollen cap.
Kylie began filling out the paper work and the nurse started to put together an IV.
“What’s that for?” Nick asked.
“We’re going to pump her with pain medicine and then numb up her knee a little so we can put it back where it belongs.”
“Is it going to hurt?” Nick asked with intensity in his eyes.
“Well, it’s not going to feel great, but we’ll do our best to keep her comfortable as possible.” The nurse smiled and Kylie handed over the clipboard.
“Let’s get this over with.”
“Come on, usually it’s me you have to try to lighten up. This could be worse and this could be good for you. I mean it’s always ‘tricking’ out on you. This could fix it for good.” Nick sat on the edge of the bed and pulled her to him.
“Nick?” She looked up to his eyes.
“Yeah?”
“Thank you.”
“For what?”
“For being there and for being who you are. I wouldn’t want you any other way.”
“As I wouldn’t want you any other way.”
Chapter 15 by openarmsgirl
“Alright, you’re still going to feel some pain but after you’re going to feel a lot better.” Doctor Kablak told Kylie. The Doctor who would operate on her knee in the morning told her.
“Let’s do it,” Kylie said and Nick took her hand.
“Okay, deep breath in,” the Doctor told her.
“Hey keep in your eyes on me,” Nick tilted her chin towards him and Kylie took her breath in. Seconds later the Doctor jerked her knee in an odd direction and a loud pop, along with a small cry from Kylie filled the room.
“And that’s it,” the Doctor said and Kylie now had tears streaming down her face. “A nurse will be in every so often to administer more pain meds. Keep this ice pack on and I will see you early in the morning.”
“Thank you,” Nick told him and his eyes went back to Kylie. “I hate seeing you in pain. You’re breaking my heart girl.” Nick smiled a little.
“I’m sorry.”
“Shh, don’t be. I just want you feeling better. Can I get you anything? You haven’t eaten since yesterday, are you hungry?”
“No.”
“You won’t be able to after eight tonight.”
“I’m fine, lay with me?”
Nick then lay on his side, his head propped up on his hand and he ran his fingers through Kylie’s hair. He let out a small sigh and Kylie looked up to him.
“What?” She asked.
“I’m just trying to figure out some things.”
“Like what?”
“Like these feelings I have for you.”
“What about them?”
“Like the fact I have different feelings for you than I have with anyone else and…” His voice trailed off.
“And?” She squeezed his hand asking softly.
“And, its different than what I felt with Anastasia and it scares me but when I’m with you, you make it feel like everything is going to be okay and I don’t know if it should be and-“ Kylie cut off Nick’s rambling and she pulled his face to hers, and kissed him hard.
“And then you do that,” Nick breathed hard.
“You’re my best friend.” She smiled. “And I feel like you’re my other half.”
“I feel the exact same, I’m just scared.”
“You’re allowed to feel scared. I’m scared too.”
“Why are you scared?”
“I’m scared because what if you’re not ready and I continue to fall deeper, but I’m okay with feeling scared because you make me feel amazing.” She beamed.
“You’re amazing,” Nick cupped her face and kissed her again.
“Day at a time.” Kyle smiled at him.
“Day at a time.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“The surgery went smoothly, as soon as she’s fully awake and the anesthesia runs out, you can take her home.” The Doctor told Nick who was in the waiting room.
Nick let out a sigh of relief and thanked God silently. “It was a good thing she had this surgery. She had quite a bit of scar tissues from old injuries it looked like. She’ll be in the cast for about three weeks and will need use the wheel chair for about a week before using her crutches.”
“Thank you for everything,” Nick shook his hand and waited for Kylie to wake up.
He picked up his cell phone and called A.J.
“Hey man,” A.J answered. “How did it go?”
“Went well, just waiting for her to wake up.”
“That’s great. Did you sleep at all over there?”
“No, the chairs aren’t very comfortable.”
“So you’ve been awake for forty-eight hours?”
“Pretty much. You can come down anytime to get us.”
“Alright man, Mandy stopped at her apartment this morning and picked up some things and straightened it up from the quake.”
“Thanks. You sure you don’t mind her staying with us for a bit?”
“Of course not. I have plenty of room and Amanda is excited for a girl roommate. We’ll be there soon.”
“Thanks bro.”
“No problem. Oh, and Brian called checking in and wants you to call when you can.”
“Alright. See you soon.”
Nick called Brian and talked with him until a nurse came out to let him know that Kylie was awake.
He told Brian he’d call him back later on and with his tenth cup of coffee he went to where the room where patients were coming out of the O.R. were and went up to Kylie’s bed.
“Hey you,” he smiled and kissed her.
“Hey,” she smiled back still sleepy from the drugs.
“You in a lot of pain?”
“No. I just want to go home.”
“Well, baby about that.”
“What, something wrong with my knee?”
“No, it went well. Even cleaned out your old injuries. I want you come live with Alex, Mandy and myself at least until your cast comes off.”
“Nick, I can’t ask that. I can take care of myself, I did when I first hurt it in high school. My parents didn’t do anything, I didn’t even have crutches.”
“I am asking you. Please, let me take care of you?”
“Nick I-“
“Look, I’ve been worried about you enough and I know its just your knee but I’m still going to worry and if anything happened to you, especially in that elevator that doesn’t always work, I couldn’t live with myself.”
“Alright. Thank you. But just until this stupid cast come off.”
“Thank you.” He kissed her again. “Alex is on his way and we’ll get you home.”
“I’m tired,” she yawned.
“Me too. At least you got to sleep four hours straight.”
“It was induced!” She yawned again.
“Shh, go back to sleep. When you wake, I’ll take you home.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“I think this cast puts about twenty pounds on you,” Nick laughed carrying Kylie inside the house.
“Thanks,” she said sarcastically.
“You need it, I mean you’re five-four and a hundred pounds.”
“Well, not everyone can be jolly the great green giant.”
“Yeah yeah. Okay, you want the couch or bed?”
“I’m kinda tired still.”
“Thank God. I think I could sleep forever.” Nick carried her up to his bedroom and lay her down.
“Ah,” she winced.
“Sorry.”
“No, its not your fault. Meds are just starting to wear off.”
“I’ll get you a couple more and something to eat.”
“I’m not really hungry.”
“You had a half piece of toast after the surgery in the past two days.”
“Just some juice please?”
“Alright.” Nick sighed and went downstairs.
“How she doin?” A.J. asked making a sandwich.
“In a little pain and no appetite.”
“She’ll be alright. She’s tough.”
“I know she is.” Nick poured her a cup of cranberry juice and got her pain killers.
He went back up stairs and saw Kylie struggling to sit up.
“Hey what are you doing?”
“I need to pee.”
“And how were you getting to the bathroom? You’re wheelchair isn’t even up here.”
“Here take these,” he handed her two pills and the juice. She tossed them into her mouth and chased them with the juice.
“Thank you.”
“Welcome. Now, put your arm around my neck.”
“This is embarrassing.”
“You have nothing to be embarrassed about around me. Never.” Nick said seriously.
At that moment, Kylie felt this urgency of love for Nick. She put her arm around him and he picked her up and brought her into the bathroom. He placed her on the toilet seat and told her to call when she was through.
When Nick left, Kylie struggled to take her shorts down and was thankful she had upper arm strength. When she finished pulling her shorts back up, she called Nick and he came in. He held her as she washed her hands and brushed her teeth since it had been two days; he then brought her back into the room.
“You’re beautiful,” he told her.
“I feel like a mess. I haven’t showered.”
“Tomorrow, we’ll wash your hair. You were sponged down this morning before the operation.”
“Keyword. Sponge.”
Nick laughed a little and lay next to her.
“Kiss me.” Kylie told him and without hesitation, Nick leaned down and kissed her.
The kissing deepened and their hands began to wonder each other’s bodies. Kylie felt Nick’s strong shoulders and he placed a hand on her small waist and up her tank top.
Kylie pulled off Nick’s shirt and began to unbutton his jeans. He pulled away from Kylie’s kiss and stared deep into her eyes as if asking for permission to continue.
Kylie nodded her head and Nick began to pull of her shorts and underwear, careful not to bump her knee. He took his jeans off and his underwear and turned on his music.
“I don’t want to hurt you,” he whispered between kissing her neck.
“You won’t.” She breathed heavily and pulled Nick to her harder and he pulled out a condom from the drawer next to the bed and gently straddled Kylie.
The two pressed each other’s bodies on one another, kissing hungrily and Nick entered into Kylie. A soft moan escaped from her lips and he nibbled gently on her lower lip
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9146