My Immortal by openarmsgirl
Summary: Nick Carter was best friends with eleven year old Taya Heart at the tender age of fourteen. Eleven years later he finds himself still haunted from memories and is determined that he is seeing her ghost now that he has returned to his home town in Tampa Florida.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 33496 Read: 16782 Published: 07/14/08 Updated: 08/04/08

1. Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl

2. Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl

3. Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl

4. Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl

5. Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl

6. Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl

7. Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl

8. Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl

9. Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl

10. Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl

Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl
Nicky why do you have to leave” Taya asked her best friend while he packed his bags.
“Tay Tay for the hundredth time, I have to leave so I can start the next chapter in my life,” Nick tried to reason.
“Since when do you act all grown up Nicky? The last month you’ve been acting weird.”
“Have not. Look I have to finish packing and then Mom is taking me over for dress rehearsal. I’ll meet you in our spot tonight.”
“But Nicky I don’t want to lose you; you’ve been my best friend since we were two.”
“Don’t be silly, you’ll never lose me. Now I have to finish packing and don’t you have to get to diving practice?”
“See you tonight at eight?”
“Be there or be square,” Nick kept his eyes on his packing.
“Bye Nicky,” Taya walked out of the room, already feeling saddened knowing that her best friend would be going away for months at a time.
*~*~*~Seven Years Later~*~*~*
I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone
These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase –Evanescence ‘My Immortal’“It feels weird being back home in Florida,” Nick told his best friend Brian.
“Yeah but we’re here only for a month. It’s going to be a great break. We have a concert at Disney, some promotion to the new record, it will be great Nick.”
“I’m glad we rented this beach house, I couldn’t be in a hotel room for that long. Man there’s nothing on T.V. want to go down to the beach? We only have two days off really before we have to start running around like crazy.”
“Yeah, let’s get our suits on. Call A.J. and Howie, they’re at the market.”
“Alright.” The guys got ready and within fifteen minutes they headed down to the beach.
“I forget how much I do miss this place,” Brian told Nick setting his things down in the beach. The beach was pretty crowded but they weren’t worried about being recognized.
“I was thinking about moving back here from California actually,” Nick looked out into the ocean. “I mean I moved for the hot spots but there’s something so peaceful about here.”
“You should do it and you’ll be closer to me,” Brian grinned.
“HEYY HEYY,” A.J.’s voice broke the two. “Man does it feel good to be here and getting started with the NEW BSB HOLLA!”
“What is he on?” Nick asked Howie.
“About ten Red Bulls, let’s get in that water, it’s like 95 degrees today.” He took his shirt off and the guys followed and went into the water. The guys messed around in the water and started dunking each other under.
“Man this under toe is strong today,” Howie tried to swim against the current. As if right on cue, they heard Nick’s cry and he was pulled under water.
“Nick don’t swim against it, swim with it towards the shore!” Brian yelled trying to get after his best friend. Nick’s body got tired and he felt himself being pulled into the depth of the ocean. Just as everything began to go black his memory took him back to the past.
*~*~*Eleven Years Ago*~*~*
“Taya, where are you? I know I’m late I’m sorry we got held back later than thought,” Nick looked at his Spiderman watch, it was almost nine. “Tay Tay? I called your house before I came and you weren’t there,” he walked through the woods to the creek at which they played. As he reached the log that the crossed over the river he saw Taya’s bracelet that he had given her for her birthday on the ground. He picked it up and began feeling sick to his stomach. He looked over the water’s edge and saw a shoe stuck in between some rocks.
“TAYA!” he yelled as he ran through the woods that followed the streams path. He didn’t know what to do but keep running to see if he could find her. After running what seemed like eternity, Nick turned around and ran over to Taya’s house, which was closer than his to the river.

Present~*~*~
“TAYA!” Nick yelled sitting up.
“Whoa easy there Nick, you’re in the hospital just lay down.” Brian had his hand on Nick’s shoulder.
“What happened?” Nick looked around the room.
“You were pulled under by the under tow; hit your head on a rock or something and were knocked out. A.J. and I managed to get you thankfully.” Nick brought his hand up to his head where it hurt. “Just a slight concussion, you’ll be alright.” Nick nodded his head and closed his eyes.
“Nick, you were yelling her name in your sleep…it’s been a while since you’ve had those nightmares.” Brian knew all about Taya and how Nick blamed himself for her death. He even tried to quit the Backstreet Boys before even really becoming the Backstreet Boys. Nick turned his face away from Brian’s.
“Hey look who is awake!” A.J. said walking into the room. “Good, we can get out of here. I’ll tell the nurse you’re awake.” A.J. exited the room and Brian laughed. When Nick didn’t even acknowledge Nick he became worried for his friend. A nurse came in took some stats and told Nick to fill out release papers at the front desk.
“Hi, Nick Carter for release papers please.” Nick asked the nurse at the desk.
“Right here Mr. Carter, glad to see you’re doing well. Please sign here, there and right here on the lines,” she pointed to the places and handed Nick a pen.
“I’ll go get the car Nick,”Brian told Nick and Howie went with him.
“Alright,” Nick looked up as Brian was walking away and his eyes went right to a woman with blonde hair with some amber strands in it and emerald green eyes. The nurse met Nick’s eyes and immediately turned away.
“You always have woman radar Nick,”A.J. laughed.
“She looked familiar,” Nick shrugged his shoulders and finished signing the papers.
“You probably already banged her, come on let’s get you home,” A.J. patted Nick’s back and Nick tried to find the familiar looking nurse.
Back at the beach house the guys were lying around relaxing and Nick had gone into his room to take a nap before they started watching movies. He opened his suit case and took out a small box. In the box held a picture of him and Taya and her bracelet he found. He also took out a newspaper clipping.
Tampa, Fl.
Eleven year old, Taya Heart’s body still hasn’t been found after three weeks of searching the Bay River in Tampa Florida. Investigator’s are closing out and calling it an accidental death. Best friend Nickolas Carter, found Heart’s bracelet and shoe at their play spot at river. Carter’s Mother, Jane Carter says the two used to play there all the time together and were supposed to meet each other at eight pm, Wednesday. Memorial service will be held Saturday at eleven am at St. Mary’s Church.
Nick’s eyes closed and a tear slid down his cheek. “If only he had been there at eight,” he whispered to himself and he heard a knock on the door. “Come in,” he said softly.
“Hey man just checking in on you; doctor says not to let you sleep for more than an hour at a time.” Brian sat on the bed and saw what Nick was looking at. He knew Nick brought that box wherever he went.
“I felt her today Bri,” he said holding the bracelet in his hands.
“That’s good; she was probably with you today, looking over you when you almost drowned. I believe it.”
“I saw a woman that would’ve looked like her today in the hospital.”
“Nick you’re in your home town where the two of you grew up. It’s bound to bring back memories, and what happened in the ocean, I’m sure stirred things up for you. But you can’t keep blaming yourself anymore man. It’s been seven years, besides you can’t keep girlfriends with this if you haven’t noticed.”
“The eyes though, they stuck out.” Brian felt for his friend and didn’t know what to do for him. They tried to do a therapist and it worked for awhile. Nick hadn’t talked about Taya in about three years to him but he knew he thought of her every day.
“She’s gone Nick. Come on let’s get some food in you,” he watched Nick put the items in a small blue box and set them next to his bed.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating light
Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase- Evanescence ‘My Immortal’
Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl
“Brian I need to do this please,” Nick pleaded with his friend in the car.
“I really don’t think it’s healthy for you though. You’ve spent so many years trying to get over her death Nick.”
“I won’t stay too long, I don’t think I’ll be able to anyway.” Brian pulled the car over into the grass and looked at Nick.
“Do you want me to come with you?”
“It’s okay I’ll be alright. I’ll just be ten minutes.” Nick got out of the car, glanced back at Brian and Brian nodded his head. Nick began to follow the grown over path that lead into the woods. He crossed an old wooden bridge and went down a small hill. It was as if he still did this every day, and his feet brought him closer to where him and Taya were supposed to meet up. His heart stopped when he saw a woman standing at the edge of the water.
“T-Taya?” he asked out loud. The woman was startled, turned around quickly and slipped on the grass. She cried out and Nick lunged to get her, grabbing her arm he managed to hold onto her before she slid down any further. “Hold on, I’ve got you!” The woman looked over shoulder to the raging water and Nick pulled her up. She fell on top of his chest, his arms wrapped around her waist.
They were both breathing hard and Nick looked into the emerald green eyes he had longed to see for the past seven years.
“Hi, Nick, she whispered.” Nick was speechless and he searched her face.
“You’re not Taya.”
“I saw you yesterday and assumed you’d be stopping here sometime today.”
“Brooke,” he whispered. Brooke was a year older than Taya, Nick’s age. Brooke pulled Nick in for a hug and he hesitated before hugging back.
“I thought you were her yesterday,” Nick pulled away and looked down at the water.
“I know Nick. But she’s gone,” her voice was soft. “It’s been a long time Nick.”
“Seven years.”
“I tried to keep in touch with you after you left ya know.”
“I know, I just couldn’t face you or your family. Your mother held so much against me.”
“It wasn’t your fault. She was probably dancing around and slipped.”
“But she was a great swimmer—” Nick’s voice trailed off.
“She hit her head when she fell Nick, she cracked her skull.”
“But how—”
“You didn’t know?”
“Know what?”
“They found her body a month after the service.” Nick felt to his stomach and he looked up to the sky.
“Was she in pain when she—”
“She had no idea they said. It was as though she went to sleep.” Nick fell to his knees, sucked in a deep breath and he wasn’t able to keep the tears in any longer. “I’m so sorry you didn’t know, I tried to get a hold of you. They said you would call back, you didn’t.” Brooke knelt next to him and put her arm around him.
“I just always had some bit of hope ya know? That she was alive and that I’d have my best friend back.”
“But you know now and she’s in a better place looking down on you. I guarantee you she’s with you every day Nick. She loved you so much. I swear you two were going to get married.”
“I loved her, I never got to say good-bye.”
“You don’t have to say good-bye though Nick. She’s with you, right here.” Brooke put a hand over Nick’s heart. “And I know she’s proud at you for the man you’ve become with your band and all.
“You know the band?”
“Nick you were like my brother too, of course I had to keep my eye on you, for Taya’s sake.” Nick smiled at her.
“What are you doing today?”
“Well, I have today off from the hospital. I was planning on just hanging out here all day until showed. Thankfully you came earlier than later.”
“Come back to the beach house, the guys and I are staying at. I want us to catch up and oh crap Brian is waiting for me. I told him I’d be back in ten, it’s been—”
“Twenty,” Brian’s voice broke Nick’s. “It’s alright, I came to check on you and saw you were with someone.”
“Bri, this is Brooke…Taya’s sister.”
“Nice to meet you. I’m sorry for your loss,” Brian shook her hand.
“Thank you.”
“This is the woman you saw yesterday Nick that you thought was her?” Nick nodded his head.
“We were only a year apart,” Brooke told Brian.
“So, what do you say come back to the beach house?” Nick asked.
“I’d love to.”
“Nick why don’t you ride with her and you two can meet me there. I’m going to make sure A.J. and Howie are awake and well dressed. See you soon,” Brian smiled.
“You ready?” Brooke asked.
“Just one minute,” Nick went over to a bush that had wild flowers on it. He picked a purple one, kissed it and put it into the water. “I miss you and I’ll see you again someday,” he whispered and the two went to Brooke’s car.

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along –Evanescence, ‘My Immortal’
~*~*~*~
“And so my parents separated about a year after the accident. They just couldn’t stop fighting and blaming,” Brooke told Nick taking a sip of her tea. She watched as Nick put his face in his hands. “Nick you have to stop doing this to yourself. It was no one’s fault; it took me a while to see this because even I blamed myself for the longest time. She had asked me to come with her to say good-bye to you, but I was too busy. I don’t even remember what I was too busy for.”
“I want you to have something,” Nick stood up, went around the corner to his room and came back out. “Give me your hand,” he told Brooke and she held out her left hand. Nick put on Taya’s bracelet; it was a charm bracelet, one charm had a heart, one had a clover, one had a diver, one had the letters BFF.
“Nick I can’t take this,” she put her fingers up to her lips as she looked at the bracelet.
“I want you to; it will help give me some closure I think. But you’ve given me a lot of closure today, thank you.”
“She never took this off unless she was diving or in the pool. Want to know a secret? I was always jealous of your friendship with her.”
“Why’s that?” Nick asked. “You always had your little girlfriends.”
“Yeah but I don’t talk to any of those ‘friends’ now and I know if Taya were alive you two would still be just as close as you were then. You treated her well Nick, when she had a hard time at school you were always there for her.”
“She treated me like no other.” For the next couple of minutes the two were quiet in their own thoughts of Taya. “So, you’re a nurse?”
“Yes, I was going to be a doctor but I couldn’t handle the hours in the e.r. and this way I can actually care for patients.”
“That’s great to hear and the fact you still live here is amazing.”
“I love it here, I wouldn’t go anywhere else.” She smiled brightly and Nick couldn’t help but smile back. Her smile was contagious.
“It’s time!” A.J. said entering the room with a towel around his head.
“It is time,” Howie followed behind with the towel around his neck.
“It’s TIIIimE!” Brian sang with the towel around his waist.
“Time for what?” Brooke laughed.
“Swimming.”
“Yes, but Nick you need to stay in the shallow end this time,” Howie warned him.
“You want to come? You can borrow some dry clothes after.” Nick asked.
“Um, I’ll come down to the beach, I love it but I won’t go swimming.”
“Ohh yes you will,” A.J. smirked rubbing his hands together.
“A.J. you’re such a prick,” Nick told him. “That’s fine, I’ll hang out with you. I’ll bring the Frisbee.” Nick went and got his suit on, picked up the Frisbee from the counter and headed down to the beach with a towel.
“So you’re not a ghost, that’s good to hear. We thought we were going to have to send Nicky here back to the shrink.”
“Howie do NOT call me Nicky,” Nick shot at him. Taya had been the only one who was allowed to call him that.
“Back to the shrink Nick?” Brooke asked taking her sandals off and walking down the beach.
“Yeah, I just had to see someone for a while. Management made me do it, I kept having nightmares, I stopped eating; I was in rough shape.” Brooke felt the urge to wrap her arms around Nick. She managed to cope through the years of her sister’s loss but Nick had to deal with it different than her. He was supposed to be there that night and with the little hope he had of her being alive must’ve eaten him up inside.
“Nick I really want us to stay in touch,” she told him pulling away.
“I’d like that,” he smiled. “Now go long,” he pushed her away a little to throw the Frisbee. The five of them played the game for a while and Howie and Brian played with their boogie boards in the water.
“Man it’s hot,” Nick said whipping his forehead.
“Yeah it is,” Brooke agreed rolling her tank top up, revealing her flat belly. Nick saw the fairy tattoo on her hip bone. His staring was broke when the Frisbee hit him in the head.
“Hey watch it! I got a concussion yesterday!” Nick yelled.
“So sorry, forgot the pop prince is delicate!” she laughed.
“Oh, you’re going to get it!” Nick yelled and ran towards her.
“Hey check that, A.J. pointed to Brian. “Is Nicky flirting or what?”
“Leave him alone, he’s had a lot to deal with today. He deserves to be happy,” Brian told him.
“I know. They seem to fit really well though,” A.J. said.
“NICK NOT THE WATER!” Brooke yelled. Nick threw her in the water but she held onto his neck.
“See that will teach you for picking on me,” he tried to remove her arms from his neck.
“Nick, I can’t swim,” she whispered to him. Nick looked at her funny and then put an arm around her waist and brought her into shore.
“Brooke, I’m really. I didn’t know, I assumed you could because of Taya.”
“Yeah, I’ve been afraid of the water and I couldn’t even be taught how to after the accident. The water kinda freaks me out.”
“Come on, let’s go over to the guys.” Nick took her hand and pulled her over.
“We’re thinking of going out to dinner and for drinks tonight,” Howie said. “Would you like to accompany us?” he asked Brooke.
“Hmm, well, I need a change of clothes now,” she looked down at her wet attire.
“Go home change, and we’ll pick you up at eight?” Nick looked at the guys.
“Yeah, our girls will be meeting us out too,” A.J. said packing up.
“Sounds like fun,” she smiled. “Oh wait my friend Reanne and I were supposed to do something.”
“Bring her along, A.J. doesn’t really have a girl anyway.” Nick laughed.
“I do too,” A.J. pouted.
“A.J. you cannot share my fiancé for the millionth time!” Howie yelled. Everyone laughed at A.J.’s ‘hurtness’ and went back to the beach house.
Brooke wrote down directions to her house and gave them to Nick. After Nick came back inside from walking her out to her car, Howie, A.J. and Brian were at the front door with their arms cross.
“What?!” Nick asked trying to walk pass them.
“Just wanted to see if you were alright,” Brian asked first, knowing that A.J. would be asking if they had kissed good-bye if he hadn’t.
“Yeah, I actually feel like a weight has been lifted off me.” He smiled.
“So she gave you some closure?” Howie asked his friend.
“She did and I’m glad she’s hanging out with us tonight,” Nick grinned bigger.
“She’s hot, mind if I ask her out?” A.J. asked.
“Bone!” Brian elbowed him.
“We can only be friends so do what you want,” Nick shrugged his shoulders and everyone was taken back in surprise.
“What? You don’t like her like that?”
“D, how can I? She’s my dead best friend’s sister. It’s just good to be able to catch up. Besides she looks too much like Taya,” Nick’s smile was gone and headed for the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of water.
“Nick, you wouldn’t know what she would look like now man.” Brian tried to reason with him. “You felt something with Brooke didn’t you?”
“I’m going to shower,” Nick ignored what Brian said and went into his bathroom to get ready.
“He’s got that feeling,” Howie said and the guys agreed and got ready.
Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl
“But it wasn’t weird to hang with him after all these years?” Reanne asked ash she touched her hair up in the mirror.
“No, I felt comfort around him for some reason. I don’t know what to wear?!” Brooke yelled from her closet.
“The last outfit was hot. That dress showed off those curves and long legs I’d die for.”
“Really? It’s not too much?” She asked
“No way, I mean look at me! So, will there be any single Backstreet Boys?”
“Actually yes,” Brooke came out of her closet wearing the dress her friend suggested.
“Which one? Let me guess, well since Nick is yours, Brian is married, Kevin is married and well not part of the group anymore, so it’s Howie or A.J.”
“Which one do you want?”
“What? They’re both single?”
“No, I’m just curious as to which one you would want.”
“Well, you know I’m a sucker for tattoos, so A.J!”
“Damn, sorry.”
“Well, Howie is cute too. Very sexy.”
“Yes,” Brooke laughed trying not to give away that she would be indeed set up with A.J. The doorbell rang as Brooke finished applying her lip gloss and Reanne answered it.
“Hi, I’m Nick, you must be Reanne?” He asked putting his hand out. She shook it and told him to come in. She looked behind him to try to spot Howie but didn’t see im.
“Where’s the rest of the clan?”
“They’ll meet us there and actually one of the other’s is in the car. He’s just on the phone with them setting up something.”
“Hey Nick,” Brooke smiled walking down the steps. Nick was speechless as his eyes ran from her long legs up to her face.
“Wow, you’ve grown up.” He smiled.
“I hope in a good way?” she asked.
“Very good way. So, are you ready?” he asked.
“Yeah, let me grab my purse in the kitchen and I’ll be right out,” she walked in her heels to the kitchen and Nick watched her hips sway.
“You be careful with her, she’s been through a lot and I’m not saying just with her family.” Reanne warned. Nick was about to ask what that was supposed to mean when she appeared.
“Ready!” The three went out to the car and A.J. got out and opened the back seat door. Reanne looked over at Brooke and Brooke just winked.
“Hello, my name is Alex and your name must be Gorgeous,” he said grinning.
“Reanne,” she shook his hand and felt her cheeks grow warm. He kissed the top of her hand and let her get in the car first and got in next to her. Brooke started laughing and Nick looked at her as he opened the door.
“I told her that her date was going to be Howie but she thinks A.J. is hotter so it was a surprise. “
“Ahh,” Nick laughed. “Still the one with tricks up the sleeves I see,” Nick winked and closed the door.
“This place looks like fun,” Reanne said as Nick parked the car. There were lights all around the restaurant, palm trees were lit with lights, tiki torches lined the walk away and the warm air night made everything fit.
The foursome walked up to the door where they met Brian, his wife Leigh Anne and Howie and his fiancée Leigh. Everyone exchanged their hellos and introduced themselves. Soon they were seated in the back of the restaurant.
“So what do you feel eating tonight?” Nick asked Brooke.
“Umm, I think the haddock with broccoli.”
“Healthy eater I see.”
“I try. I just prefer healthy food over junk. But give me ice cream and I can’t turn it down,” she laughed. “How about you?”
“Hmm, maybe I should take some notes from you, or get the prime rib.”
“I’m not a big meat fan so knock yourself out.”
“Looks like your friend and A.J. over there are hitting it off pretty well. Especially since she’s a red head.”
“He has a thing for red heads huh? Maybe I should dye mine, what do you think?”
“I think your hair is beautiful as it is,” Nick smiled and Brooke felt her cheeks go warm.
“So Brooke, Nick tells us he grew up with you, what can you tell about Nick here as a little kid?” Leigh Ann asked.
“Well, he was a pain in the ass. Used to run around with my sister and tease me. I was locked in the basement once because he knew I was afraid of the dark.”
“Seems like nothing has changed,” Brian laughed.
“He was a good friend also. One time we went walking in the woods and I fell into this well. Taya went to get help and Nick decided to jump in and keep me company, I believe we were nine at the time.”
“How did you know Taya would be back or remember where you were?” Howie asked drinking from his wine glass.
“I just knew,” Nick said.
“Nick ended up breaking his foot and I had broken my arm so we were a pair; remember the ride to the hospital Nick. We rode in the ambulances and thought it was the coolest thing; oh and Taya was jealous she wasn’t hurt so she jumped off the stairs to try to hurt herself and she just ended spraining her finger.”
“Jealous over getting hurt huh?” A.J. asked.
“Those two did everything together, went to school, went to Nick’s singing lessons and she took dance lessons with him. They would often spend the night in each other’s beds and they’d put on plays in the back yard, sometimes with Nick’s sister’s. Oh this one time—”
“Excuse me,” Nick said and got up from the table. Brooke stopped talking and looked at Brian.
“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset him.”
“It’s just been a long day. We just need to keep down the Taya talk I think,” Brian assured her and stood up. “I’m just going to check on him.” Brian walked in the direction where Nick went.
“You’re a nurse?” Leigh asked.
“Yeah, at County General.” Brooke bit her lower lip and looked in the direction where Brian and Nick went.
“Nick will be fine, and I believe that more now than I did yesterday,” A.J. told Brooke.
In Another Room
“Nick you alright?” Brian asked walking into the lounge.
“Hey yeah sorry, I just, I’m being ridiculous.” Nick ran his fingers through his blonde hair.
“Nick you’ve had a lot thrown at you today, it’s understandable.”
“She’s able to talk about Taya and I’m not for some reason? I don’t get it, it was her sister and she’s more okay with it than me.”
“Nick you still had hope she was alive all these years and you haven’t seen Brooke in seven years. You went to the spot where she died and where you two used to hang out all the time. But you need to deal with it and I think that talking about the good memories will help you.” Nick stood up and walked to the wall, he put his arm up and rested his forehead on it. “Do you want to go home bud? We can. We don’t even have to tell anyone you can just go.”
Nick shook his head no, looked up and wiped his eyes.
“Nick, I’m so sorry,” Brooke’s voice came up behind him. Nick looked at her and rubbed his eyes again.
“You didn’t do anything wrong, Brian’s right I need to start dealing with the past that happened so long ago.” Brooke walked up to him closer, she put her hands on his face and thumbed away his tears.
“You’re not alone with this anymore Nick, you’ve got me, I’m not going anywhere. I promise.” Her eyes looked right into his blue ones.
“How did you become so strong through all of this?” Nick sighed and dropped his head on her shoulder. She wrapped her arms around him and felt his arms hold her tighter.
“Us Heart girls were always stronger than you Carter,” she pulled him away and winked. “Come on lets go get you some beef.”
~*~*~*Later that Night*~*~*~
“I didn’t know you could actually dance,” Brooke told Nick as they danced to some Latin music on the dance floor.
“Who knew you could have some grace, I remember you falling all over the place because your feet grew before you did!”
“I don’t know, I think I may want to dance with Howie, he’s really moving over there.”
“That’s because he’ part Latin, this was his choice tonight. I’ll take you to a real club where I can get my groove on,” Nick swiveled his hips around and thrust his hips.
“Can hardly wait,” Brooke said sarcastically. She pulled Nick’s arms up and spun herself around.
“I think you need another drink,” Nick pulled her arm towards the bar.
“I’m already feeling pretty good Nick. I don’t think I need any more in me.”
“One more to end the night, cran-vodka?”
“Alright, but next time we go out, say to your clubbing, you’re drinking with.”
“Sounds good, this Friday night. Hi, could I please have a cranberry vodka, Grey Goose please.”

“I definitely did not miss waking up at the crack of dawn for interviews on our break,” Brian whined yawning.
“We get to do Disney all day tomorrow though. That will be fun!” Howie chirped up.
“Yeah Nick you should ask Brooke to come,” A.J. said.
“She may have to work,” he shrugged his shoulders as he got into the van with their body guards.
“Won’t hurt to ask. Where are we off to now?” A.J. asked.
“We have another radio station to do, then rehearsal for the show.” Brian told them looking at a book. He had become manager over the last year and was in full charge of what was to happen.
“You want to stop somewhere for breakfast guys?” Jimmy the driver asked. They heard a chorus of ‘yes’ and nothing from Nick.
“Yo Kaos, you want some grub?” A.J. asked. Nick continued to stare out the window.
“Nick?” Brian shook his arm.
“Hmm? Yeah sorry what’s up?”
“Are you hungry?” Howie asked.
“Not really thanks,” his eyes drifted back to the outside. The guys exchanged glances at each other for they knew the familiar signs of Nick when he was upset.
Later that afternoon the guys were in the middle of their rehearsal for their new concert when Nick stopped singing in the middle of one of his parts. He dropped his microphone and stared out across the arena. They weren’t going to be performing for their Disney show here but this is where they would practice. Nick’s head began to spin at what he was seeing and he dropped to his knees. A young Taya wearing her over alls and hair up in a high pony tail was sitting in the seats. Her face was blue andit was evident she was crying.
“NICK!” Brian was by his side. “Nick are you alright?”
“Yeah I just, did you see her?”
“See who Nick?” Howie asked on the other side of him. Nick looked up and Taya was gone.
“No one, I just, I guess I should’ve eaten today,” Nick went to stand and he stumbled into Brian’s arms.
“Let’s get you home,” Brian said. “A.J. have Jimmy get the car please.” Howie and Brian helped Nick stand up and walk over to where their things were.
“Maybe we should get him checked out at the hospital?” Howie told Brian.
“I don’t know I think some rest and food is all he needs.”
“I’m right here guys,” Nick waved his hand in front of them and sat in a chair. One of the crew members gave Nick bottled water and he drank it.
“Okay let’s go home. We’ll just have to get to sound check a little early tomorrow.” A.J. told the guys.
“I’m just going to check something, I’ll meet you guys in the car in a minute,” Brian told them. A.J. and Howie helped Nick into the car. Brian actually stayed back to call Brooke. He took out his cell phone and looked up her number. He hit send and put the phone to his ear. It rang four times and her voice mail picked up.
“Hey hey you’ve reached the voicemail of Brooke! Leave me something important enough and I just may call you back!”
“Hey Brooke, its Brian. We’re leaving rehearsal right now for the show tomorrow and are heading home. I was just wondering when you were done with work tonight, Nick got a dizzy spell or something and he almost passed out. He doesn’t want to go get looked at and I thought that, hold on I have a beep…and it’s you,” Brian switched his phone over. “Hey I was just leaving you a voice mail.”

“Yeah sorry I just got home from work, what’s up?”
“Could you come over to the beach house and give Nick a once over?”
“Is he sick?”
“I’m not sure? He almost passed out I think, he just collapsed to his knees. We’re leaving right now.”
“Sure, are you coming from Orlando though?”
“No, we just rehearsed at the stadium around here. We have a show here in about another week. But we have to be in Orlando early tomorrow for sound check. Hey do you want to come tomorrow?”
“I’d love to, I’m on call but I won’t hear until five am tomorrow. If they don’t call me by then, then I can come.”
“Okay, we’ll be home in about a half hour.”
“Alright I’ll leave in about fifteen minutes then.”
“Thanks Brooke, see you soon.” Brian hung up his phone and headed out to the car.
As the guys arrived to their beach house, Brooke was leaning against her Eclipse staring out to the ocean.
“Guys I’m fine, stop making a big deal!” Nick pulled away from Howie’s hand as he got out of the car. “Brooke, what are you doing here?”
“Oh, just in the neighborhood,” she winked at Brian. “Thought I’d say hi,” she smiled and walked up to Nick.
“I’m glad you came. Come on in,” Nick lead the way into the house.
“So how are you?” She asked.
“Good, you?” Nick went into the living room.
“Nick I’ll make some lunch,” Brian told him. “Brooke would you like anything?”
“No thanks Bri. So how was rehearsal?” She asked.
“Good until Nick here almost passed out,” A.J. shot taking a seat on the couch.
“Nick?” Brooke asked playing dumb.
“Yeah, I don’t know, I guess it’s because I didn’t eat. I just got a little dizzy that’s all.” Nick shrugged his shoulders.
“Mind if I take a look at you? I’m kinda paranoid over people, it’s my job.”
“Did one of the guys call you?” he asked looking at A.J. and then Howie.
“No, I told you I was in the area. Now come here,” Brooke stood up in front of Nick. “Do you have any pain when I press here,” she pushed on his temples.
“No.”
“Here?” she pressed on the back of his head.
“No, I’m fine.” Brooke felt his glands in his throat and looked into his eyes.
“Have you ever had dizzy spells like you had today?” she took his pulse and watched the second hand on her watch.
“Not really no.”
“Your pulse is a little low, which probably means your blood sugar is low.”
“Turkey sandwich, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard,” Brian handed Nick a plate and glass of milk.
“Thanks,” Nick took the plate and set it on the table. “I’m actually just kind of tired.”
“Me too, I’m going to go take a nap in my room,” A.J. said standing up.
“Why don’t you call Reanne? She’s probably on her way to work in an hour.”
“Really?! I mean, she wants me to?”
“Yes, Alex!” Brooke laughed.
“Did you want to do something?” Nick asked Brooke.
“How about we watch a movie? I was at work at five this morning and just got out. I’m tired too.”
“Sounds good,” Nick stood up and pulled a case full of movies. He put in ‘Zodiac’ in and lay on the couch. Broke saw a blanket on the floor and put it over Nick. “Thanks,” he smiled and Brooke took a seat on the floor against the couch.
“Leigh is down at the beach with Bailey, I’m going to go meet them,” Brian told us.
“I can move over if you want,” Nick told Brooke.
“No, it’s alright. I’m comfortable. Let me know if you need anything.”
“Thanks for coming over, I know Brian called you.”
“He did not!”
“Brooke, I know Brian and his over protectiveness.”
“Well, I was hoping to get a call from you anyway.”
“I was going to, to see if you could come to Disney tomorrow?”
“Just as long as I’m not called in tomorrow morning, I’d love to.”
The two watched the movie and within an hour of it Nick was fast asleep.
“I’m going to go put him down for a nap, he hasn’t taken one yet today and he’ll be grumpy all night.” Leigh Ann told Brian with Bailey in his arms.
“Uncle Niick!” Bailey squalled and kicked to get out of his mom’s arms.
“Shh, Uncle Nicky is sleeping,” Brian told his son and gave him a kiss.
“I’m going to sleep a little too I think,” Leigh Ann told Brian.
“I’ll be up with you in a minute,” Brian smiled and walked into the living room.
“Good movie, I see Nick here is taken it upon himself to take a nap while he has a guest.”
“Nah he needed the rest,” Brooke looked over shoulder to the sleeping Nick.
“It’s probably not my place, I won’t tell Nick but you have feelings for him?”
“I-I don’t know.”
“Well, I see it in both of you that you both care for each other a lot and you both seemed to have clicked instantly.”
“But what if it’s just our past that has clicked us?”
“It goes beyond deeper than that I think. Just keep doing what you’re doing and I think what you need to know, will come out.”
“I hope so, I do care for him.”
“I know,” Brian smiled. “Well, feel free to help yourself to anything you need.”
“Thanks,” she smiled up to Brian and headed for his room.
“Taya,” Nick mumbled
“Brian!” Brooke yelled and he came back into the room.
“What?” he asked.
“Nick, he—”
“I’m sorry I’m late…where are you?” Nick’s head began to move back and forth.
“He’s having a dream about her,” Brooke looked up to Brian with worry in her eyes.
“He hasn’t in a while.”
“I don’t know if we should wake him?”
“I’m sorry I’m so sorry, where are you? Taayyyaa Noooo!” Nick yelled as his body started to thrust.
“Nick wake up, it’s Brian.” Brian took a hold of Nick’s shoulders.
“Nick it’s Brooke, can you hear me?” she placed her hand on his forehead and ran her fingers through his hair. “Shh, Nick wake up. It’s okay, everything’s fine.” Her voice was calm and soothing. Nick’s eyes opened and he was breathing hard, tears were streaming down his face. “Oh Nick,” she wiped away his tears.
“Brooke?” Nick’s voice broke and he sat up.
“Yeah you had a bad dream, you’re okay.” She rubbed his back.
“I’m sorry, I can’t do this. I’m so sorry, for everything.” He stood up and walked out of the room.
_________________
Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl
“Brian?”
“Stay here I’ll go see what that was about.” Brian followed Nick and Brooke sat up on the couch with her head in her hands.
“Nick, can I come in?” Brian knocked on the door. When Nick didn’t answer he went into his room where Nick was face down on his bed. He sat down on the edge of the bed trying to think of what to say. “Nick you have nothing to be embarrassed about.”
“I’m not embarrassed like that. I’m embarrassed because I’m having a harder time dealing with this than her sister. I can’t keep the nightmares from coming, I felt dizzy earlier because I swore I saw her today when I was singing. I’m crazy Brian and I don’t deserve to be friends with Brooke when she’s been through so much already.”
“As far as I can tell Nick, she wants to be there for you, she wants to help you. Let her in, she’s been there, she knows where you’re coming from.”
“She shouldn’t have to go through this again though.”
“You are not the one to decide it Nick, is it because you’re having stronger feelings for her than you’ll let on?”
“She’s a friend that’s it! And even if I did see her as more, Taya wouldn’t forgive me at all.”
“Nick Taya already forgives you, I think she brought you here to find Brooke.”
“Sorry to interrupt, I’m going to head home though. Um, maybe I’ll talk to you later.” Brooke poked her head through the door. As she was about to leave, Nick called out, “Wait!” She opened the door and looked at Nick.
“I’ll let you two talk,” Brian squeezed Brooke’s arm and walked out of the room. At first both were quiet, not knowing what to say to each other.
“Brooke, I’m sorry.”
“For what Nick?” she asked moving closer to him.
“For the way I’ve been acting. You don’t need someone like me around you, pulling you down.”
“Listen to me right now, you are not for fault of Taya’s death do you hear me? I still have times where I break down and miss her and that is okay. It is natural for that to happen. You’re having these night mares again because you just visited your old play spot. Nick you need to find a way to let this go. Maybe you do need to say good-bye.”
“You told me that I didn’t have to because she was always with me.”
“And she is always with you and always will be but you’re making yourself sick. Come with me,” she took Nick’s hand and pulled it.
“Where?”
“Trust me?”
“Of course but where?” Brooke held onto Nick’s hand and pulled him out of his room, grabbed her purse on the floor and went out to her car. She unlocked it and they both got in. Without saying a word, Brooke drove them for twenty minutes. When they reached their destination Nick looked at Brooke.
“What are we doing here?”
“Saying good-bye.” Brooke got out of the car and Nick followed her. They walked up a hill and went under a tree. “You weren’t here for the day we buried her because my Mom didn’t want to just put up a headstone for her memorial service. We picked under this tree because it reminded us of you with her, climbing that old willow we had in the back yard.”
Nick stared before him at the gravestone, he knelt down and ran his fingers across the engraving: Taya Lynn Heart. Beloved Daughter, sister and friend. January 27, 1982 – March 29, 1993. Forever in Our Lives.“Nick it’s time to move on. It’s what she would want and you know it.” Brooke bent over, kissed Nick’s cheek and walked away to give him some privacy. Nick looked up to the sky and then down at the grave stone.
“Hey Tay Tay, it’s me, Nicky. You’re still the only one allowed to call me that, well you and Bailey. I’ve been seeing you everywhere and in my dreams. Your sister brought me here; I think you brought me to her that day at the ocean when I was knocked out. You probably made that happen to me, for those countless times of me throwing you into the river.
“I wish you could’ve really met the guys, seen me tour. They’re my rock when I can’t be. I know I’ve said this a million times but I’m so sorry I wasn’t there that day, if only I had been there when I said I would be. Maybe it would be you I was falling for and not your sister. She’s been amazing and I need to know, if anything were to happen between the two of us, would you be okay with it? I’ll treat her right, you know I would.” Nick paused and felt a breeze go through him; he closed his eyes. “And I’ll always love you. Good-bye Taya.” Nick kissed his finger tips and ran them over the grave and he stood up.
Brooke came up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist and he pulled her to him; kissing the top of her head.
~*~*~
"Hey Brooke, it's Nick. You're probably at work but I was just calling to see what you were up to tomorrow. We have our," beep. Nick's voice was interrupted from an incoming call. "And looks like you're calling me," Nick switched over . "Hey, I was just leaving you a voice mail."

"Hi, I know. How are you?"

"I'm great, thanks. You sound out of breath, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was in the middle of a run. What can I do for you?"

"Tomorrow is our concert at Disney and even though the concert is at night, we were planning on spending the day at the park, hit up MGM, you know have some fun."

"I'd love to just as long as I'm not called in tomorrow. I'll know by six am. What time were you planning going?"

"We were going to get there right as the park opens,it's going to be packed."

"Is it safe for you to be even going? Are you going to have body guards?"

"Yes, it's safe. You'll be surprised people will just over look you. Our body guards will be near by but they won't hang out with us. They make us stick out even more." Brooke laughed.

"I could see that happening. But yeah I will give you a call as soon as I know tomorrow."

"Great. Hey what are you doing after your run? Work?"

"No, I worked this morning. I'm just going go home, maybe do some cleaning around the house."

"How about you put the cleaning on hold and come spend the day with me?"

"That sounds like a lot more fun."

"Well, come on over, put your swim suit on and see you in a bit."

"But-" Before Brooke could protest, Nick said "Bye," and hung up.

*An hour Later at Nick's*
Brooke knocked on the beach house, and put her sunglasses on the top of her head. Brian opened the door and smiled.

"Hey, glad you came. Get Nick out of this place because Alex and Howie took Bailey to a play ground and Leigh and I would like some alone time."

"I will do what I can." Just then Nick came bounding around the corner.

Wearing his swim trunks, a Lakers jersey and carrying a bag. Nick grabbed Brooke's hand and pulled her out of the house. "Let's go, later B!"

"Hi to you too. Where are we going?" Nick got into his jeep and Brooke followed.

"Facing your fear." He smiled and pulled out to the road. Nick drove for ten minutes and pulled the car into a parking lot.

"We're at the Y?"

"Yup." Nick jumped out and Brooke got out and walked up to him. They went inside and Nick followed the signs that said "Pool". He paid five bucks for each of them. "Is your suit on?"

"Yeah," Brooke said with hesitation. "Nick, thank you for trying to do what you're doing but I-I can't."

"Trust me,"he took her hand into his and they went into the pool area. Nick took off his shirt and put it in the bag he was carrying and looked at Brooke. She slowly pulled her tank top off, revealing her white and brown bikini top and slid off her jean shorts. She placed them ontop of the bag Nick brought; and took Nick's hand. He walked to her to the shallow end of the pool and went down the steps.

"Come on, you can touch here. Slowly she went down the steps into the warm pool. Nick was right by her side and she put her hands on his shoulders. "Relax, I can feel you shake."

"I'm trying. I just haven't done this since I was like five." Nick helped her with breathing in the water and floating for a while.

"You're doing a great job Brooke."

"Well, I have a great teacher." She smiled.

"Still trust me?"

"I do," she looked right into his eyes.

"Okay, take the ledge and hold onto it. We're going to go in the deep end. As soon as you don't feel comfortable, tell me. I won't rush." She nodded her head, took a hold of the ledge and moved towards the deep end.

"Just like you did in the shallow end, I want you to swim to me." Nick moved away from her a couple of feet.

"Nick-"

"You have to at least try." She pushed off the wall and did the front crawl to Nick. "Look at you! You did it!" once she reached Nickshe put her arms around his Nick.

"I did, didn't I?"

"Now, go swim back to the wall." Nick helped her turn around and she made her way to the wall. "I'm going to go back just a little more, okay?"

"Sounds good." She smiled and looked around the pool and saw it was mostly older people swimming around, with water weights and belts. She watched as Nick swam to the middle of the pool and then she pushed off the wall with a foot and started to swim.

As she was about to reach Nick, someone jumped off the diving board and into the pool, making a large splash. It startled her and thoughts of how when she was five and swam into the lake and almost drowned filled her mind. Her heart began to race and she felt as though she was being pulled under.

"Brooke swim!" Nick yelled. He began to swim towards her as he saw her head go under the water. He kicked as hard as he could and went under the water, putting an arm around her chest he brought her up. She came up spitting and coughing water. "You're alright," he said soothing her as he brought her to the ledge. "Hold on." He pullled himself out of the pool, took her hands and pulled her up so she was sitting on the tile floor.

"What happened out there?" Nick asked with worry in his eyes. He helped her stand and she fell into him, her body shaking. He walked over to the bleachers where they both sat.

"I-I just freaked. I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about. You did awesome for your first day. You feel okay though?"

"My body just feels like jello."

"I'll go get our towels. Stay here." She nodded her head and her eyes stayed onto the pool water. Nick came back with their things and put a towel around her shoulders; he rubbed them to try to keep them warm.

Nick knew of her past of how she had gone swimming in the lake one day with her family and her leg got entangled by some long lake weed. It pulled her under for two minutes. She had to have CPR done to her to get her breathing.

"I think that's good for today. What do you say?"

"I could try some more."

"I have other things planned, let's give you a little break." They slide their clothes over their swim suits and headed back out to the car. Brooke smiled as the warm sun hit her still shaking body and got herself into Nick's Jeep.

"What other things do you have planned Carter?"

"Oh, we'll just have to wait and see," he smirked and soon pulled up to Scoops. "Hungry?"

"For ice cream? Always!" She grinned and unbuckled her seat belt. Nick came around to meet her and without thinking before acting, Nick took her hand into his and walked up to the window. Brooke couldn't ignore the butterflies that filled her stomach.

"What do you want?"

"Hmm, its a toss up between mint chocolate chip, cookie dough and twist with chocolate sprinkles."

"Okay sounds good." Brooke looked up at Nick as if he had something growing out of his face.

"What can I get you today?" The young teenager asked Nick.

"We will have a scoop of mint chocolate chip, a scoop of cookie dough with the soft twist on top, oh and with chocloate sprinkles please."

"Nick! I can't eat all of that."

"We're going to share." He handed the cashier a ten and she handed him our large ice cream. Brook took two spoons and some napkins and took a seat on a bench.

"I can't believe you ordered this."

"Why not? You don't like?" Nick asked with a mouthful of ice cream.

"No it is quite surpringly good," she took another bite, and Nick watched as the spoon entered her mouth, and pulled out slowly.

'Get those thoughts out of your head Carter,' Nick said to himself.

"Nick thank you for the swimming thing, even though it ended with me failing."

"Non-sense, it was our first lesson. Next I'll take you to the ocean."

"Ocean Nick? I almost drowned in a pool, with no waves."

"I will NEVER let you drown!" Nick's voice turned serious all of a sudden and they both knew to what he was referring to. Taya.

"I know Nick," she put her hand ontop of his and then fed him a bite of ice cream to relax.

"I hope you're able to come tomorrow. It's going to be fun, Alex is bringing Reanne."

"Really? I haven't talked to her in a couple of days, she's been hard to reach."

"She's been spending her time with A.J. She went with Howie and Bailey to the park today."

"That sounds like Reanne, new guy and the rest of the world doesn't exist."

"Brooke, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Why does a sucessful, beautiful, woman like yourself, not have a boyfriend."

She set her spoon down, cleared her voice and looked away from Nick.

"There just hasn't been anyone special I guess," she shrugged her shoulders.

Nick felt as though she was hiding something from but decided not to push.

"Let's go try it out."

"Try what?"

"The ocean."

"You want to go to the ocean? Are you sure?" She nodded her head and stood up, taking Nick's hand.

"Now, before I change my mind."

"Alright." Nick stood up and they made their way back to the Jeep. Nick drove them back to his beach house, where they jumped out of the car and ran down to the water.

They slipped their clothes off and walked into the shore.

"Nick, don't let go of me please."

"Promise," he held her hand tight and they walked in deeper. "Okay the sand bar ends soon and we'll swim to the next which is just a little ways a way. You alright so far?"

"I'm good."

"Okay, ready, it ends here." Nick put his hand on her waist. "Swim, I'll stay right next to you. I'm not letting go." They swam together about ten feet and reached the next sand bar.

"That wasn't too bad, but it's tiring with the waves."

"You're kind of amazing, do you know that?" Nick asked and pulled her into his arms. "But then again you always were."

"Aww, so sweet. When did you become such a girl Carter?" she jumped up,with her hands on his shoulders, she pushed under water. At the same time he pulled her under with her and they both came up laughing. They continued to play around for a while.

"Hey the tide is coming in, we should head in. We don't want what happened to me a few days ago, to happen to you."

"Yeah, that would kill the day. It is more rough though."

"Just swim and kick, you'll be fine. I'm right here." They both began to swim and made their way to the shore.
Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl
"This is soo cool we get to come an hour early before everyone else!" Reanne yelled pulling Alex's hand through the park. The two were ahead of everyone else.

"So, what's going on with those two?" Leigh asked Brian, referring to Nick and Brooke talking to each other behind everyone.

"They spent all of yesterday together, Nick got her to start swimming again. She stayed over until almost three in the morning." Brian told her.

"Are they a couple now?"

"He claims they are only friends but there is something there. I haven't seen Nick this happy in a long time."

"I hope it works out for them," Howe chimed in. Just then they heard Brooke scream, and Nick came running by with her on his back.

"Let's go!" Brooke yelled over her shoulder. Everyone made their way up to Thunder Mountain, to ride the roller coaster.

"You've lived in Florida how long and you've never been to Disney?" Nick asked Brooke as they walked right up to take their seats on the ride.

"I know I know, but when is the last time you came?"

"Probably about six years ago." Nick got in and Brooke sat next to him.

"Last time we were on this ride, Nick got scared." Alex said sitting in front of Nick and Brooke.

"I think this ride is scarier than Space Mountain, because you can see what's coming! Some of those rocks look like we are totally going to run into." The ride started, forcing Nick's head to jerk back and he took Brooke's hand without thinking. She smiled over at Nick and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

As the ride finished everyone got off the coaster laughing at how Nick screamed througout the ride.

For the next hour, the group continued to hit the rides up before the park would be open.

"Let's head over to MGM and those places, since we pretty much did all of Magic Kingdom," Brian announced.

"What time is your show babe?" Reanne asked Alex.

"Starts at seven in this park but we have to be here at five-thirty. You girls can go get something to eat during that time."

"You know I'm really glad you were able to come today. Lucky thing you didn't get called in."

"Well, I have a confession to make." Brooke replied looking up at Nick.

"Oh?" he asked.

"I was called in but I said I was sick today."

"Ooo you'e skipping work. You're going to be in trouble."

"Nonsense. I haven't missed a day since I started working. There are plenty of nurses there. Besides, Rebecca, our head nurse who called me, pretty much suggested I say I'm sick because she knows how hard I work there."

"What shall they do without you then?"

"They'll survive."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Later that Evening~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Take the money so you can get some dinner," Nick pushed her the $50 bill into Brooke's hand.

"Nick I have money and I am not going to eat $50 worth."

"Well, you might want to buy a sweat shirt, it gets chilly. Please."

"I can buy my-"

"You're not going to win, just take it," Howie laughed walking by the two arguing.

"He's right," Nick smiled. "I have to go, have fun with Leigh and Reanne. I'll see you after the show." Nick pecked Brooke's cheek and took off.

"Go with the flow and enjoy it," Leigh Ann told Brooke as they walked off to the food stands.

"What do you mean?" Brooke asked.

"You like him, he likes you, stop trying to make it that you two are only friends."

"She's right B, you're holidng back."

"But I don't know how he feels and I don't think I'm ready yet for a relationship Reanne, you know its only been-"

"A year," Reanne cut her of. "Hi I'd like to have slice of cheese pizza and a diet Coke." Reanne ordered and paid with the money Alex had given her for food.

"A year since what?" Leigh asked and Brooke sighed hoping that she wasn't going to have to talk about it. "I'll have a slice with peperoni and a water." Brooke was next in line and she ordered.

"Hi, I'd like a water and a slice of cheese." The three sat down at a bench with their food and Brooke opened her water, avoiding the two sets of eyes on her.

"I think you can tell her, she knows Nick and can maybe help you." Reanne said taking a bite of pizza. Brooke couldn't help but giggle at thow the cheese stretched from her mouth to the slice.

"She's right, you can tell me and if you don't want Nick knowing I'll keep it between us," Leigh Anne said sincerely.

Brooke took another sip of her water, took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Don't get all "aww poor Brooke on me" because I've dealt with it but am taking a little time moving on."

"You got it," Leigh turned and faced Brooke a little. Brooke shook her head and began.

"To make a long story short, I was in a abusive relationship for three years. Things finally ended last year. I thought he was the one but for some reason I couldn't see that he wasn't, through the black eyes, broken ribs, wrist and forced sex." Leigh let out a small gasp and saddness filled her eyes. She couldn't imagine ever being in that kind of relationship, she's been with Brian for so long and he's treated her nothing less than a Queen.

"This one over here finally knocked some real sense into me," Brooke nodded her head over to Reanne who smiled simpathetically. "But I haven't been with him in just over a year now and he went to prison for four months. He can't come near me, I have a restraining order. He's tried to call a couple of times but I haven't heard anything in over six months."

"I know what you said but I am sorry that happened to you but am amazed at how strong of person you are. And I'm happy that you aren't in that situation any more."

"Thank you Leigh. But Nick I don't think he needs to know. It's not like I'm afraid of men, I know they're not all the same but its just hard being back in any kind of relationship. I mean we were together for a year before Caleb turned into that monster. We were in love at one time and I was going to marry him, so I believed."

"You're right, not all guys are the same but I do believe that you will just know when you're ready honestly."

"I know."

"So how much do you like Nick?" Leigh smirked.

"Honestly, a lot more than as a friend and I wish he would just kiss me already!" Brooke blurted out and the three began laughing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Cause BABAYYYYY
I don't wanna waste another day
Keepin it inside, it's killing me
Cause all I ever wanted comes right down to you (to you)
I wish that I could find the words to say
Baby I would tell you, every time you leave
I'm inconsolable (oooh)
Don't you know it baby
I don't wanna waste another day
I wish that I could find the words to say
Baby I would tell you, every time you leave
I'm inconsolable
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Oooh, I'm inconsolable
Whoaa yeah
I'm inconsolable yeah yeah "
"Inconsolable" BSB from Unbreakable

The four boys finished singing in unison, and the crowed continued to scream. They took a bow, waved to their fans and made their way off stage.

Leigh, Brooke and Reanne waited in the back side of the castle where the guys would be coming out. A body guard Q, hung around with them.

"I can't wait to see Alex, he looked so amazingly hot on stage, those hips..." Reanne continued on.

"Someone get some ice water to put over her please," Brooke said her arms crossed around her new Disney sweat shirt she bought. She had even bought Nick a matching one.

"Hey Q there is a group of girls forming at the gate side right there." Leigh told the big guy.

"I'll take care of it Mrs. Littrell." He nodded and walked over to the girls.
Just then there was a chorus of screams and the four guys had come out.

"Looks like they found us," Howie smiled.

"Come on guys, let's sign a few autographs then we'll head home. I mean we do want this album to take off now don't we?" Brian asked and the rest of them nodded.

"Hey just hang back here for a bit okay?" Nick asked Brooke.

"You did great tonight, oh here I got this for you." She handed him the sweatshirt and he put it on and put his hand on his hip.

"How do I look?" He spun around.

"Dorky but cute, now get over there before one of the girls faint!" Brooke laughed and watched as Nick did the cat walk to the other guys and the screams grew louder. There were only about fifteen girls but it sounded like a hundred.

After about ten minutes Q ushered the guys back towards the back.

"I am tired," Brian announced.

"I'm hungry," Alex said putting an arm around Reanne.

"Me too," Nick said walking up to Brooke.

"I'm ready to partay!" Howie yelled.

"You're such werido," Nick laughed at Howie.

"I'm kidding, I'm ready for some grub. Let's get back to the car." They had taken a large SUV to Disney to not draw attention to themselves.

"Hey guys, looks like we're going to have to run to the car, more fans are waiting around. You ready?" Jack another body guard asked.

"Just like old times," Brian grinned. "Ladies you stay in front of us." Brooke looked up at Nick worried.

"Relax, you'll be right in front of me and we have our body guards. How many girls can there be without their parents anyway?" Brooke nodded her head and they all began to briskly walk to the car. Then out of no where there were at least sixty girls pushing to get to the Backstreet Boys.

"Nick, NICK!" one fan screamed.

"I LOVE YOU B-ROK!" another one screamed.

"Move faster," Nick told Brooke and her pace picked up. Before she knew it however, some of the fans came through and knocked her onto the pavement.

"BROOKE!" Nick yelled as he was being pushed ahead from Donnie the other body guard. Nick tried to turn around to go back but Donnie wouldn't allow it. "Donnie Brooke fell!" Donnie touched his ear piece and said something to one of the other body guards as he continued to escort Nick to the car.

"She's fine, Q got her." He told Nick as he shut the car door. The other guys got in where Leigh and Reanne were already in the car.

"Where is B?" Reanne asked.

"Q has her, she got pushed down." Nick said looking down. Just then the front door opened and Q was carrying Brooke and set her in the passanger seat. There were to loud hits on the window and the driver took off.
~*~*~*~*~
"What happened to you back there?" Leigh asked leaning over the seat of the car.

"I was walking ahead of Nick, then the fans broke through the barricades and boom, I'm on the ground."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Nick asked again.

"I'm fine."

"Well, I'm hungry," Alex decided to put in.

"Me too, I think we have frozen pizzas back at the house." Brian said leaning back in his seat.

"That's what we had for dinner," Leigh laughed.

"You will eat it again. I'm not worried," Brian said matter-of-fact.

The rest of the ride home, small talk was made and forty minutes later they were pulled into the drive way. Everyone climbed out slowly and tired except for Brooke. Nick made his way to her side of the door that was already open.

"Are you going to stay in the car for the rest of the night?" He laughed. "You were quiet on the way home tonight." He reached for her hand and she hesitated but took it. Brooke shrugged her shoulders and placed her feet on the ground. Nick gave her a look as to, "what are you doing?" and she sighed.

"I kind of hurt my ankle when I fell." Her eyes fell down to her foot.

"Which one?" Nick asked in concern and knelt down on one knee.

"Right." Nick picked her foot up and watched as Brooke's face winced in pain.

"Brooke it's pretty swollen but let's get you in side so I can get a better look." Nick took both of her hands into his and helped her stand. "Can you put any weight on it?"

"Yeah I'm sure I just tweaked it." As she stepped down it, she let a small cry out and fell into Nick's arms. Nick picked her up in one swift move. "Nick this isn't necessary."

"You couldn't stand up and you were quiet the whole ride here. Sorry to say but usually you don't shut up."

"I do not talk that much!" she defended.

"You do, but it's cute so it's okay." Nick brought her into the living room and sat her on the couch.

"What you can't walk any more?" Reanne joked, following them into the room.

"She hurt her ankle when she was pushed."

"Not your right one again?" Reanne asked looking down.

"Again?" Nick asked.

"She sprains that ankle like five times a year I swear."

"I do not!"

"Okay maybe three times but a lot. You should've just had the surgery."

"You're a klutz huh?" Nick asked her untying her shoe lace.

"No, I just am an active person and my ankle isn't the strongest part in my body." Nick undid the laces as loose as they could go before slipping off the shoe. He then gently pulled off her sock.

"Ew that looks worse than last time. Remember that, I thought you surely broke it, I thought you would've broken your leg."

"You're really not helping." Brooke said.

"What happened last time?" Nick asked.

"Hiking and I stepped on some roots to get up the hill and they broke; causing me to tumble down the hill."

"Yeah, this doesn't look like you tweaked it."

"I'll get the ice." Reanne told Nick and went into the kitchen.

"Are you in a lot of pain?"

"No it doesn't hurt." She told Nick not looking in his eyes. Nick propped her foot up onto a pillow.

"Oh? So you would've been able to walk on it."

"Here you go," Reanne handed Nick an ice pack. Nick gently placed it on her ankle.

"Pizza is done!" Alex came out eating a slice of pizza.

"Do you want some?" Nick asked.

"No I'm all set. Go eat." Nick nodded and handed her the TV remote. Brooke flipped through the stations until she landed on "Meet Joe Black."

"She okay out there?" Brian asked Nick eating his pizza.

"Yeah, I think I should maybe take her in to get it xrayed though. It's swollen and already bruising."

"She's a nurse, I'm sure she knows whether or not it were broken," Howie chimed in.

"And this is sprain one hundred for her. She'll be fine, ice and rest." Reanne reassured everyone. Nick finished his pizza and went out to the living room with Motrin and water.

"Here take these," Nick handed the pills to her. Brooke sat up and swallowed the pill with the water.

"Thanks," she smiled.

"Tired?"

"Just a little but I should get going." Brooke swung her legs over the couch.

"You can't drive, stay the night. You can sleep in my room."

"I can drive, it's not my clutch foot."

"But it is your brake and gas foot. Here push on my hand." Nick put his hand under her foot. "Go ahead, if you can push on my hand hard enough then I will let you drive home." Brooke tried to move her foot against Nick's hand and couldn't. "Well?" Nick asked.

"I can't," Brooke sighed.

"Relax, let me take care of you tonight okay? It's late, almost midnight." Brooke nodded her head and Nick picked her up into his arms. Nick carried her into his room and set her on his bed.

"Thanks for today Nick, I had a lot of fun."

"I'm sorry I didn't stay closer to you on the way to the car."

"Nick it wasn't your fault. It probably would've happened either way." Nick handed her a tee shirt.

"You can wear this to bed, do you want a pair of shorts? I can see if Leigh has something."

"This will be fine, thank you."

"I'm going to go say goodnight to everyone and be back to check on you."

"Thanks Nick." Nick walked out of his room and and Brooke put on Nick's tee shirt. It was over sized and came just above her knees. She then stood up and got ready to go to the bathroom. "Please don't be broken," Brooke said to herself. She knew this sprain felt worse than the other times. She once again attempted to put a small amount of pressure onto her foot and ended up falling into Nick's dresser.

"What are you doing girl?" Nick asked walking into the room.

"Can't I just pee, dammit." She closed her eyes.

"You're in a lot of pain aren't you? I'm going to take you for an x-ray."

"No, I'm really okay. It will be better in the morning."

"Brooke-"

"Nick, really."

"Let me help you into the bathroom at least." He put an arm around her waist and she held his arm, hopping on one foot she made her way to the bathroom. Nick changed into a tee shirt and gym shorts while she was in there. When the door opened he helped back into bed.

"Nick you can sleep with me, the bed is big enough." Brooke told him.

"I can sleep on the couch it's not that bad."

"Don't be silly."

"You sure?"

"Yes, now get in." Nick jumped into bed and laid on his side facing Brooke.

"We should get you some crutches tomorrow."

"I have a pair at my house but I probably won't need them."

"So why haven't you had the surgery?"

"Because it's like a five hour procedure, then I have to wear a cast for over six months, then an air cast thing for another six, be on crutches for almost a year...want me to go on?"

"But it's a one time thing right? So you have a kinda sucky year with it, but then rest of your life you don't have to deal with sprains and being in pain."

"It's not guaranteed."

"I see. Well promise me you'll tell me how it really is tomorrow? I know you're hiding the amount of pain you're in tonight."

"Promise."

"So, you liked the show tonight?"

"Yeah it was great! Kinda nice to see you live and not just on TV."

"Brooke, do you think everything happens for a reason?"

"I really do. Why?"

"Up until the last couple of weeks, I didn't think so. But from me going to the hospital, seeing you, then you knowing I'd be at the river that day...I just feel like I'm supposed to be with you right now."

"I feel the same Nick." Brooke turned to face him.

"You do?"

"Yeah." She smiled and stifled a yawn.

"Get some sleep. We can talk some more in the morning."

"Oh, I am sleeping in."

"You won't be called in?"

"No tomorrow is supposed to be my day off anyway."

"Good, I wasn't going to let you go in unless it was for an xray!"

"Night Nick."

"Goodnight Brooke."
Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl
The next day Nick woke up from Brooke tossing and turning in the bed. He glanced at the clock next to him and it read six-eleven.

"You alright?" Nick asked rolling over.

"I'm sorry I woke you up."

"It's fine. Hey are those tears?" Nick brushed his thumb over her cheek. "What's wrong hon?" Nick now was sitting up.

"I think..."she hesitated and put her face into her hands. Nick got out of bed and pulled the sheets down Brooke's legs and looked at her ankle. It was a lot worse than when they went to bed.

"Brooke, I've sprained my ankle before too and have seen them on our dancers, this is not a sprain. Can you move it at all?" Nick looked up at Brooke after examining her ankle and then she shook her head no, he stood up.

"Okay. Let me throw some clothes on, I'm taking you to the hospital. Alright Brooke?" She nodded her head and Nick picked up a pair of jeans and slid them over his boxers. He put on a pair of socks and then helped Brooke put on her shorts. She then put on the Disney sweatshirt she had just bought over Nick's tee shirt she wore.

"I'm sorry Nick."

"Don't be. You ready? Your shoes are in the living room right?"

"Yeah." Nick picked her up and brought her into the living room. He sat her on the couch and put on her left shoe for her. "I'm going to write a note for the fellas and get you some ice. You okay for a minute?" Brooke nodded her head and fought to keep the tears back. She hated crying and hated even worse crying in front of people. A couple minutes later Nick came back out with a bag of ice and picked her back up.

"You can take my car, my keys are in it." Nick nodded and put her in the passenger side. He got in and handed her the ice. She put it on her foot and Nick started the car.

"How long had you been up?"

"Oh just the entire night." Brooke laughed.

"You should've woken me up."

"It was a long day for you, you were tired, I couldn't." Nick drove to the hospital, as it began to sprinkle outside. After a fifteen minute drive they arrived and Nick parked the car. He got out and went to the passenger side and got Brooke out. He brought her inside, where a nurse saw them and immediately brought over a wheel chair. Nick gently set her down and the nurse pushed her to a room where Nick explained what happened.

"We will get an x-ray right away and then a doctor will be in. Can you get up onto this table?" The nurse asked Brooke. Brooke nodded and stood up with Nick's help and sat up onto the table. Nick carefully picked up her right leg and set it on the table and pain flickered her blue eyes as it came down. "I'll have the technician come right in dear," the nurse smiled and walked out.

"I take it you don't know her?"

"I don't really know the night shift any more." Just then another nurse and man came in.

"I hear we need an x-ray on an ankle?" The guy said. "Brooke? What did you do?"

"Since when do you do work this shift Eric?" she asked.

"Filling in for Natalie. Isn't this the same ankle you sprained two months ago?"

"Two months ago?" Nick asked in surprise. "Reanne wasn't kidding."

"Shut it. And yeah same one. It's pretty bad this time."

"Okay, let's get this on you," he put on a lead apron over her and had her lay down. He pulled down the x-ray machine. "Sir you need to step over here with me while I do these pictures." Nick squeezed Brooke's hand and went behind the window. Eric took a couple pictures and then had Brooke lay on her sides where he took more pics.

"Alright, I'll send these right to Dr. McRoy, he'll come see you right away. It's slow tonight."

"Thanks Eric."

"Special treatment for working in an E.R. I see." Nick told her taking a seat in a chair.

"Not usually."

"So you think it's broken?"

"I really have no idea. I've broken it once, but it actually didn't hurt this bad before. It was a clean break, but when I fell, it kind of just crumpled." Nick mad a face of disgust. Within ten minutes a doctor came in with the x-rays and he put them up on the screen.

"If you wanted a few days off all you had to do was ask Brooke," Dr. McRoy told her.

"Don, you know I can't make things easy. So what did it show?"

"Well, it's a mess and I'd like to get an MRI on it. See all of these bones here in the front are pretty much shattered, but this grey area, that's your ligaments and such and there should be some light being able to show through. We can actually get you right in for the MRI machine up stairs, I can give you a reading but it's going to be safe to say you're probably going to need surgery."

"Ugh," Brooke laid back down on the table. "Just throw a cast on it."

"A cast would make it worse, we may have to splint it for a while. But we'll see what the MRI shows. You can go up now, I'll send the call and see you up there."

"Alright." The doctor left and Nick stood up and walked over to Brooke.

"So you may be getting the surgery whether you want it or not."

"You're not making this easier."

"Come on pain in the butt," Nick helped her back into the wheel chair and pushed her to the elevators. "What floor?"

"Fourth." Nick pushed the button.

"I'm really sorry this happened."

"Nick seriously, not your fault. For a normal person, a fall wouldn't shatter an ankle. It's from years of ruining it."

"I know but I feel bad. I'm going to take care of you though." The doors opened and Nick pushed her out .

"Down to your right." She told Nick. "You don't need to Nick."

"I want to." Nick was then ushered out of the room where they began preparing for the MRI. Nick found a coffee machine and got himself a cup while he waited to see Brooke again. He felt his phone vibrate and he pulled it out of his back pocket.

"Hello?" he answered.

"How is she Nick?"

"Hey Brian, she's getting an MRI on it right now."

"No x-ray?"

"Well, they did that already but he ankle is such a mess they couldn't tell what bones were broken or what ligaments were torn. What time is it?"

"Eight. Do you guys need anything?"

"No, we'll probably be here for a couple more hours though. I have a feeling it's not good."

"Well, give us a call if you need anything."

"Thanks man."

"Tell Brooke I said feel better."

"Will do, later." Nick hung up his phone and took a seat. He finished his coffee when the door opened and a nurse had Nick go back in. Brooke was now sitting in the wheel chair, with an ice pack on her ankle. She looked pale and had her head in her hands.

"The doctor will be in in a few minutes." The nurse smiled and exited the room.

"Thanks. Hey you, you hanging in there?" She nodded her head not looking up. "Brian said to feel better." She nodded her head again. "Can they give you any kind of pain medicine?"

"Not yet. Ugh I feel like I'm going to be sick."

"Seriously?"

"I don't think I will, it's just how I feel." Nick rubbed her back and kissed her forehead.

"You're doing great, just a little longer and I'll get you home."

"I can call Reanne or someone else to come so you can go back home and rest."

"There isn't anywhere else I want to be right now," Nick looked into her eyes, lifting her chin with his thumb and index finger. "I would be too worried if I were away." Brooke smiled and just then Dr. McRoy came in.

"Want the good news or bad news?" He asked.

"Bad." Brooke replied.

"You need a couple of screws put in, some ligaments and such need to be fixed and you will be having surgery in a couple of hours."

"And the good?"

"I'll be doing your surgery and I have an IV with morphine in it with your name on it down stairs."

"How long do I have to stay here?" she asked.

"Depends. Most people are just here a few hours after surgery but you may need to stay the night. There could be more damage inside than we can see. You have a lot of scar tissue that's going to need to be scraped out, we'll need to set the main bone before surgery however."

"How soon can have the surgery?" Brooke asked trying to sit up taller in her chair.

"I can do it in about an hour after you're prepped. I'm booked from noon on so I'd like to get it done as soon as possible. Judy," he talked to the nurse that had just been with Brooke. "Please call down and get a room available for Brooke and set up a surgery team."

"Yes, Doctor." The nurse walked out of the room.

"I will see you shortly. Don't worry, you'll be in great hands."

"I know Don, thank you."

"I'll go see how everything is coming along and Judy will be back in when she has a room." The Doctor nodded towards Nick and left.

"I'm sorry Brooke. Can I call anyone or do anything?"

"No, but thank you for being here. If I had been home alone last night I probably would've waited another week before even getting an x-ray."

"Alright, I can take you to your room. An anesthesiologist will be there in about ten minutes to have you sign some papers." Judy the nurse had came in and pushed Brooke out of the room. Nick walked with them to the elevator and they went down a couple floors. Nick couldn't help but feel uneasy about how fast everything was happening and was nervous about the surgery.

"Okay dear, if you could just put on our lovely gown that we have here for you. Can I help you up into bed?" her cheery face made Broke want to throw up even more.

"No thanks, I'm all set."

"Okay. Someone will be in soon." she walked out of the room and Nick went up to Brooke, who was trying to stand up out of her wheel chair.

"You can't do everything on your own you know." Nick put a hand around her waist and another under her arm. He helped her into bed.

"I'm more independent than you may realize." Her face scrunched up when she tried to bring her leg up.

"I know you're very independent," Nick picked up her leg and placed a pillow under it. "But, while I'm here, please use me so that you can heel."

"You'll be leaving soon, two more weeks?" Nick caught the tone of disappointment in her voice.

"We'll see, I may stay later if I can find a place to stay," he winked. "Are you scared about the surgery?"

"No, it's not like it's my lungs or heart. I'll be fine." She dropped her head back so she was laying back now. "Ugh I feel so weak and I haven't even had the surgery yet."

"Do you know why?"

"It's just my body trying to fight against it being hurt." She started to fumble with the gown and tried to sit up a little. Nick took the hospital gown into his hands and looked into her eyes.

"May I?" he asked. Brooke bit the corner of her lip and slowly nodded her head, too tired to try herself. The entire time, Nick's eyes stayed locked onto Brooke's, as he slipped off her sweat shirt and tee shirt. He put his arm around her back to prop her up, as he slipped on the gown through one arm and then through her other. He closed it in the front and tied it.

He then slipped off her left shoe and sock and then pulled her shorts down her long legs. When it came to pull her right foot out of the leg hole, he softly placed a kiss on her ankle before setting it back onto the pillow.

"I hear some pain medication is in need," Judy came back into the room.

"Please!" Brooke said desperately.

"I'll hook this IV up to you, some saline and just codeine now, we don't want to put you on morphine until after you wake up from the surgery." The nurse continued to open some packages and start an IV on Brooke's left hand. "There we are, and I'll put the codeine in right now."

"I see you're almost ready. How are you doing?" Don came into the room.

"She just put the codeine in, but it's starting to work."

"Good, I'm going to have to set this one bone right now. It shouldn't be too bad but you will be in some discomfort." Brooke's eyes met Nick's and he took her right hand into his. She squeezed it and closed her eyes. "On three you ready?"

"I guess," Brooke replied keeping her eyes closed.

"One-two-" and then the doctor pulled and turned her foot causing the room to fill with a loud pop. Brooke let out a small cry and squeezed Nick's hand harder.

"What happened to three?" Nick asked.

"Just seems to work better for patience he replied. Okay, Dr.Keller will be in for your-" Just then the door opened and a female doctor came in.

"For your happy place medicine," she smiled.

"See you again when you wake up," Don smiled and left the room. Dr. Keller asked Brooke a bunch of questions of history, family history and what kind of anaesthesia she would like.

"And do you want me to release information to Mr. Carter here for surgery?" Dr. Keller asked.

"Yeah."

"Please sign here," she pointed her long finger nail by an X. "Alright, I'll let you have a moment and I'll be back in to knock you out."

"Nick it's going to be a long surgery. Why don't you go home for a while."

"I don't want to leave you."

"I won't even notice," Brooke laughed. "Go shower, eat something and come back."

"We'll see."

"No you will go! And let Reanne know what's going on please. She'll start to worry and then get on my case later and I am not going to want to deal with it after surgery."

"Okay."

"Nick relax, you're making me nervous and I'm the one going under the knife."

"I just don't do well in hospitals."

"Alright Brooke, I'm going to put this into your IV and you'll be out within seconds." Dr. Keller and come back in.

"Let's do it." Brooke smiled. The doctor had already pushed the syringe into the IV.

"Brooke, will you go out with me after you're all better?" Nick whispered into her ear. And before Brooke could answer,she smiled and her heavy yes closed. "Brooke?" When she didn't answer Nick looked at the nurse. "Damn that's some fast stuff."

"Someone will be to see you in a few hours as soon as she is out."

"Thanks." Nick said and let out a sigh as Dr. Keller and Judy pushed Brooke's bed out of her room and up to the O.R.
~*~*~
It was five o'clock at night and Nick was sitting in a chair next to Brooke's bed in the recovery room. She had woken up three times since the surgery but only for a few minutes at a time. Nick was flipping through his sixth magazine he found when he heard his name.

"Nick?" Brooke whispered.

"Welcome back sleepy head," Nick stood up and moved up to her bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Alright, a little drugged up still." She smiled. "What time is it?"

Nick looked at his watch, "A little after five."

"Wow, already? I had surgery at like nine thirty."

"Yeah they pumped you with some good stuff. But the doctor said everything went great. Most of your problem was scar tissue from all the times you sprained it. He fixed some tendons and cartilage and you have a few screws and pins in now." Brooke sat up a little to see what was on her leg and it was a cast that went up to her knee.

"Look who is finally awake," Don smiled coming in. "Everything went smooth Brooke, how is your pain level?"

"Actually not too bad."

"Well, here is a prescription for you for some pain killers. You'll want them for the next few days." He then went on explaining how they cleaned out her ankle and everything they repaired. "As soon as you're feeling up to it, you can go home. I've set up an appointment to see you at the clinic in two weeks. No walking on that foot! Do you need to be fit for crutches or do you still have a pair?"

"I have a pair at home," she told the Doctor. "So showering?"

"Plastic bag over the leg. In two weeks when we put you in a new cast, we'll give you a water proof one."

"Yay," she said sarcastically. "Could you ask a nurse to come in now, I think I'd get more rest at home."

"Sure thing,and don't worry I've talked to your head boss and they'll send you paper work to fill out in the mail. So you'll be all set for not working for a few weeks."

"Thanks Don," she smiled.

"Okay, nice meeting you Nick, take care of her. Make sure she stays off both feet for the next two days at least. She can be stubborn," the Doctor shook Nick's hand.

"Don't worry, she's in good hands." Nick smiled over and squeezed Brooke's hand. The doctor nodded and left.

"Nick could you help me get my clothes back on please? I'll have to wait for my shirt because this IV is still in me."

"Of course," Nick reached for the plastic bag that had Brooke's things and took out her shorts. He then pulled off the blanket that covered her one leg. Then carefully putting her casted leg through first, she then put in her left leg. Nick slid them up the rest of the way and buttoned the tops. "You alright?" Nick asked noticing her close her eyes.

"Yeah, that just took a lot out of me," she laughed lightly.

"Okay who is ready to get home?" A nurse came in with a clipboard.

"Me!" Brooke raised her hand.

"Just sign here please," she handed Brooke a pen and the clipboard. "And here are some instructions and prescription for your pain pills. I'll just take out this IV," she smiled and began working on the IV. Nick watched as the nurse pulled out the IV from Brooke's arm and had to close his eyes for a minute.

"Are you going to be okay Nick?" Brooke asked with a smirk on her face.

"Yup," he swallowed hard.

"There we go, now, let's get your shirt on. Do you need help dear?"

"I'll be alright thanks."

"Okay, well you can take this wheel chair right there and have a speedy recovery."

"Thanks." Brooke said and Nick pulled out her shirt from the bag. When the nurse left, Nick helped Brooke put on her shirt.

"Let's do this slow, alright?" Nick asked her pushing the chair next to the bed. He raised up the right foot rest so it was out straight.

"I hate feeling this weak," Brooke pushed herself up right.

"Don't worry about it, I'm going to take you back to your place tonight and stay with you. So you'll have your things."

"Did you talk to Reanne?"

"Yeah, I went home and showered like you told me to. And she was there with A.J. They all give you their best. Alright put your arm around my neck." Brooke did as Nick asked and Nick slid his arm under her legs gently picking her up. He then set her down, placing her leg down as slow as possible. "Good?" Nick asked and Brooke nodded.

Nick pushed her out to the exit and had her 'sit tight' while he pulled the car up. A nurse than pushed Brooke out and Nick got out and opened is passenger door.

"Probably not the best car for this," Nick made a face as he looked up at his large SUV.

"It's fine Nick," Brooke put her left foot on the ground and with Nick's help stood up on one foot. "I can probably get up easier without you," she held Nick's arms and she hopped on one foot closer to the car. She reached for the handle on the side, and pulled herself up hopping off her good leg. Nick guided her broken leg up, making sure it didn't hit anywhere.

"Impressive," he said and closed the door. He got in himself and she gave directions to her house. Nick occasionally glanced over to her once in a while and for the most part, the twenty minute ride was quiet. "Are you hungry at all?" Nick asked.

"A little, not really though. Maybe we could just order a pizza," she shrugged as Nick opened her door.

"Do you want me to go get your crutches? I know you like to be independent," he asked.

"Honestly, I don't think I'd make it very far. Here you want to open the door first," she took out her key from her purse. Nick took it and opened the front door,then returned to get Brooke. She put her hands on his shoulders, and he picked her up. "Nick, thank you for everything. You don't have to stay tonight, I mean you're here for work and I've taken care of myself before with a bum ankle."

"First of all," he carried her into the living room and set her on the couh. "I want to be here. Second, yeah I'm here for work but I didn't have anything I needed to do today and third, you never had to take care of yourself just coming out of surgery." He kissed the top of her head and went to shut the front door. When he returned he sat next to Brooke on the couch.

Brooke had turned the TV on flipped it to a re-run of Kings and Queens. "What's wrong?" Nick asked.

"I'm just kind of tired," she propped herself up a little, scrunching her face.

"And you're in pain," Nick stood up.

"No I'm fine, it's okay."

"Whatever Brooke," Nick smiled and disappeard. A few minutes later he returned with two pillows from her room, a glass of water and a pain killer. He first put a pillow behind her back and then gently picked her leg up and set it ontop of the other pillow. After she took her pill Nick sat on the floor next to her. Brooke turned a little on her side, letting her arm drop down and took Nick's hand into hers.

"If I happen to pass out on you, I'm sorry. Feel free to eat or drink anything you can find. I think I actually have a frozen pizza in the freezer. It might be a health pizza but it's good. Or you can use the phone book in the kitchen to order one."

"I'm all set right now, get some rest." He picked her hand up to his lips and gave it a soft kiss. Within twenty minutes and she was asleep. Nick used this as an opportunity to make himself something to eat and call the guys.

"Hey Nick how's Brooke?" Brian asked answering his phone.

"She's home now, asleep. She's on all sorts of pain medicine and the surgery took a lot out of her. The doctor said everything went smooth though."

"That's great. Sucks that she's in a cast though this time of year. Hot."

"Yeah but she doesn't seem to let things like this bother her. It's kinda amazing."

"Are you staying with her tonight then?"

"Yeah, she's too weak to do much on her own and I know she's too stubborn to aske for help. I know we have a meeting tomorrow at eleven right?"

"Yeah, it shouldn't last too long. Look, it's totally fine if you want her to come here tomorrow. Leigh will be here with Bailey."

"I'll ask her in the morning, thanks. So I did some thinking while she was in surgery Bri and I want to ask your opinion on something."

"Sure thing, what's up?"

"I want to look for a house while I'm down here. Something kinda small but on the beach."

"Okay, I know this has always been your real home. So what can I help you with?"

"I just want to know if it's too rash because I don't want Brooke thinking-"

"That you're doing this all for her?"

"Yeah."

"You have feelings for her?" There was a moment of quietness.

"I care for her yeah. We just sorta clicked and yeah I think they're deeper than just as friends. It's kinda scary though because I really feel like this could be something special."

"Honestly Nick, I think so too. I think Brooke is really good for you and you're good for her. You two complete each other it seems,I mean I know it's been only a couple weeks of knowing each other but-"

"I know what you're saying. So you you think it's a good idea we try things?"

"I think it's a good idea for you to keep doing what you're doing Nick. Trust your heart."

"I'm trying. Alright I'm going to let you go. I'll be home by nine tomorrow morning."

"Okay Nick. See you tomorow."

"Later," Nick hung up the phone and took out the frozen pizza for dinner.
~*~*~
The next day Brooke woke up to Nick moving around her bedroom. He had spent the night, insisting to take care of her and she actually felt better having him there.
"Good morning," Nick smiled pulling his hat over his head and walking to the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Not great," she said groggily and pulled herself sitting up. Nick sat the edge of the bed and rubbed her shoulder gently.

"Let me get you your pain medicine," he said about to stand up.

"No, it makes me feel sick. I have to pee though can you hand me my crutches please?" Nick nodded his head and took the crutches from leaning against her night stand. "Thanks, you have to go soon don't you?" She asked glancing at her clock and standing up slowly.

"Yeah, hey go slow," Nick cautioned her putting his hands on her waist, as he noticed her wincing. He then guided her to the bathroom and waiting outside while she finished up. He heard the water turn on and then go off. When Brooke didn't come right out Nick knocked on the door. "You need any help?" He asked.

"I'm just brushing my teeth," she replied.

"Okay, I'm going to give Brian a call. I'll be right here in the room." Nick sat down in her chair in the room and called Brian to let him know he was heading there soon. Brooke opened the door and leaned against the frame. Nick had just hung up the phone and saw as Brooke's body went limp against the door. He stood up and briskly walked up to her.

"Nick I can't stand," she said weakly and her crutches dropped to the ground. Nick watched her face turn white and he put her arm around his neck and picked her up.

"You're alright," he said soothingly and lay her on the bed. Propping her leg up onto a pillow he felt her forehead. "You're sweating," Nick pushed back her damp hair.

"This sometimes happens with people who have surgery, I'm feeling better already."

"I don't want to leave you alone today so I'm going to bring you to the beach house and Leigh will be there to keep an eye on you."

"Nick that's not necessary. I'll just stay in bed today. And I can call Reanne later."

"Brooke, you could barely go to the bathroom. Please, I'd feel better being away from you for six hours." Nick's voice was full of sincerity.

"Oh, alright. Pull out some clothes for me please." She pointed to her dresser and told Nick what she wanted to wear. After getting dress, she stood up on one leg and put the crutches under arms. Her head became light again and the color from her face began to drain. "This isn't going to happen, I can't even lift my hip up to keep my leg off the ground," she leaned into Nick's chest. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

"Okay Brooke, okay." He helped her back into bed and got her comfortable. "Let me make a call and get you some breakfast." With her eyes closed from exhaustion, she nodded her head. He took his phone out and went to the kitchen. "Hey Bri it's me again."

"Nick what's up? You almost here?"

"I can't leave her or get her there. Every time she's on her feet she almost passes out."

"Does she need to go to the hospital?"

"No, she should be better tomorrow, she had a major surgery."

"We really need you at this meeting Nick, hold on," Brian told him and there was a pause. Nick in the mean while looked in the refriderator to find something to eat for Brooke. He pulled out a yogurt and a banana. "Alright, give me the directions to her place. Leigh is going to come over with Bailey, I'll drop her off and pick you up."

"Thanks Brian, and thank Leigh for me."

"No problem," Brian listened to Nick as he was given the directions to Brooke's house. Nick then went up to Brooke's room and saw that her eyes were still closed. He sat on the bed and put the yogurt and banana on her night stand. Her eyes fluttered opened and smiled when she saw Nick.

"You're going to be late," she told him.

"Leigh is on her way, she's going to hang out here for the day. That alright?"

"Nick, I-"

"Shh, I want you to just rest. You and I will watch a movie tonight." He smiled down at her. "If you're hungry, you have a yogurt and banana on your nightstand." He squeezed her hand.

"Thank you for everything Nick," she took his hand, her fingers intertwined with his. "I'm glad you're back in my life." She pulled him down to her a little.

"I'm glad you're back in my life," he told her leaning in. She reached up and put her hand behind his head, she gently pulled him down, his lips inches from hers. She looked deeply into Nick's eyes, reading his emotions and thoughts. He then closed his eyes and pressed his lips into her, giving her a soft kiss. When their lips parted, they were both smiling.

Ch. 14
"Nick she's fine, she had a little lunch and is sleeping again," Leigh Anne told Nick playing Go Fish with Bailey in the living room.

"Okay we should be able to get out of here in a couple more hours. I'll have my-"

"Cell phone on and if anything happens, I'll call you. You told me that the last time you called an hour ago."

"Sorry, I just, I don't know, I'm being over protective."

"I get it Nick. But I promise, I will call you. It's just a broken ankle."

"I know, thanks."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"You want to stay for dinner?" Nick asked Brian climbing out of the rental vehicle with a bag of groceries they had picked up on their way home.

"I'll see what Leigh wants to do and how cranky Bailey is,"Brian told him walking up to the door. They went inside and Nick put the bag on the counter and went into the living room.

"DADDY!" Bailey yelled jumping off the couch from watching cartoons and into Brian's arms.

"Hey Bailey buns, have a good day with Mommy?" Bailey nodded his head and Brian walked over to Leigh and gave her a kiss.

"I think he wants to get outside and play, we didn't get to today and just hung around," Leigh told him.

"Is she still in her room?" Nick asked picking up Bailey who had now ran up to him.

"Yeah, we were going to move her to the living room but she got dizzy just to use the bathroom. She's awake now."

"I think I'll take Bailey and Leigh out to dinner to that restaurant by the ocean so Bailey can play outside." Brian told Nick.

"Sounds good, thank you Leigh." Nick pulled her in for a hug. Leigh and Bailey went and said goodbye to Brooke while Nick started boiling water to make pasta for dinner. He then went in with a teddy bear in hands.

"Hey you," Nick smiled walking up to her bed. She was sitting up and reading a book.

"Hi," she said softly. Nick then handed her the fluffy white animal and kissed her cheek. "Aww thanks Nick."

"How are you feeling?"

"Better actually, as long as I'm not moving around."

"Well, I am making dinner for you and I rented a movie to watch."

"You're sweet," she said. "How did your meetings go?"

"Boring, I don't even know what they were about." Nick laughed and Brooke shook her head.

"Yeah not much better here though, kinda boring." Brooke shrugged her shoulders.

"I'll have to make sure you're not bored any longer." Nick wiggled his eye brows and placed a kiss on her lips.

"Get out of here," Brooke joked and pushed Nick away playfully.

"I'm going to go make dinner, can I get you anything?"

"Umm, I could use a change of scenary. I think I'll come out to the living room." She put her book down and sat up more. Nick got her crutches and watched as she had to pick her leg up using her hands and move it over the edge of the bed. "I'm not usually this weak," she told him with guilt.

"Hey I know you, you're an athletic and competitive person. But it's okay to ask for help when you need it." He handed her the crutches and pulled herself up from the bed. "Go slow," he told her.

"No I was planning on speed walking," she teased back. "Ugh I don't know why I'm still getting so light headed when I stand though." Her head dropped down for a minute, all of her weight went onto her arms.

"Should we call your doctor?" Nick asked with concern and he had a hand on the small of her back.

Brooke shook her head no. "Tomorrow if it doesn't stop I will." She took a few steps forward, keeping her neon green cast off the ground and then stopped. "Hey Nick?"

"Yeah?" He smirked knowing what she was going to say. He watched as she hesitated and shifted her weight on the crutches.

"I need help," she looked up to him.

"You want me to carry you or what?"

"I don't know? Maybe I need to move around more, maybe that's my problem?"

"The doctor said to keep you off your feet for a full two days, three if I could get you to listen. Don't push yet because I know you will when it comes to physical therapy." He moved to face her, put an arm around her waist and took the crutches. He set them against the wall and gently picked her up into his arms.

"You're kinda great, you know that?" She asked looking into his eyes. Nick smiled and kissed her. "Oh and Nick?"

"Hmm?"

"Give me another day and I'll be ready to go on that date."


"You heard me?"

"Yeah, I just forgot about it until now."

"I'll take you on the best date of your life." He told her carrying her out to the living room.

"I don't know, I once had a date on horse back, and that was pretty sweet."

"Trust me, I can be quite the romantic," Nick smirked setting her down and getting her comfortable.

"Yeah when you want something I'm sure," she winked.

"You have no faith in me!" Nick pouted standing up.

"I've heard the Nick Carter rummors!"

"Rummors, that's all they are," Nick defended himself.

"Nick?"

"Okay most of them are." He stated and Brooke laughed shaking her head. "I'm going to go make dinner," he rolled his eyes and walked out.

"You do that," she said still laughing and flipped on the TV.
Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl
*This chapter is for the mature reader only*

Three weeks have passed since Brooke had surgery on her ankle and the guys were just about finishing up their plans for their new record. Most of Nick's free time was spent with Brooke since she was still out of work and each day they were becoming closer yet at the same time Nick could feel Brooke pull away. He wasn't sure if it was because of the fact she was in a cast and couldn't walk or if it were Nick himself. They never fought, gave each other space when needed and acted as though they'd been together forever.

Nick and Brooke were at the hospital getting ready to get an X-Ray on her ankle to see how things were heeling. "Nick stop touching everything!" Brooke slapped his hand playfully.

"I'm bored," he whined sitting back into a chair, looking around the small curtain room looking for something else to play with.

"Alright Brooke let's get this cast off and see how things are coming along," her Doctor told her holding a saw.

"You don't suppose once this thing is off I can shave before you put another cast on do you?" Brooke asked hopefully. "It has to be like the amazon under there," she laughed. Nick looked at her disgusted.

"Sexy babe," he laughed.

"We will see, but we will be sure to clean it really well. You ready? This won't hurt at all," he told her referring to the saw that could cut through cast but not skin.

"Yup," she sat back on the table and watched as the cast was cut on the sides and pulled apart.

"Ew," Nick said. "It looks broken still." He made a face.

"I am leaving you home next time," she shot him a look.

"Actually things look how they should, it's only three and half weeks and you had five pins in and two screws and a plate. We'll take an XRay and see what our next steps are. I'll have you get into this wheel chair, do NOT put any weight on that foot!" The doctor told her and he and Nick helped to her to the wheel chair. A nurse than came in and pushed her into the XRay room.

"Alright, easy does it," the young nurse told her helping her up and onto the table.

"Thanks," Brooke said politely and let the nurse position her leg where it needed to be for the pictures. Ten minutes later she was back on the table in the room telling Nick to stop playing with the instruments. A nurse had come in and washed her leg up with soap and water and even shaved her leg for her. She had to skip around the area where the incision was. But Brooke was grateful.

"Good news," the doctor came in holding the pictures and stuck them up to the light. "Everything looks great and we will not need to put another cast on."

"What?! Look at that thing," Nick said referring to Brooke's ankle. "I think it would re-break just by touching it." The doctor laughed and Brooke apologized for Nick.

"Well, that is partially true. I'm going to put on a boot, which is like a removable cast. However, you still cannot walk on it for another three weeks. But you'll be able to wash it and gently shave."

"Sweet!" Brooke said excitedly.

"But promise you'll use the crutches and stay off because one fall and that's the end of it. The boot must be on at all times, unless it is to wash your leg." Brooke nodded her head.

"You kidding me, this is the best arm work out I've had in a long time!" She smiled. The nurse than came in with a large black boot to put on Brooke's leg.

"I'm going to put this ace bandage on it for extra support because you will be in discomfort for a while until you're used to this." He began wrapping her ankle with a thick ace bandage. When he was done he carefully lifted her leg up and put it into the boot and showed her how to strap it in. It up to her knee like the cast but was a lot lighter. "Alright, I'll see you in another three weeks unless you have any problems."

"Thank you," Brooke shook his hand and Nick shook his hand after and stood up.

"Well, see, that's exciting. No cast."

"Yeah," she hopped off the table and Nick handed her the crutches. "Wow," she said and Nick looked at her and put a hand on her back.

"You alright?"

"It feels so much lighter but it will definitely be sore later."

"Come on, I have something that will take your mind off of it."

The two went out to the car, Brooke a little slower on the crutches than she was used to but they got there and Nick helped her in.

Once in, Nick put his seat belt on and started the car. Brooke stared out the window and listened to the music on the radio. "Stop and Stare" was on and she sang lightly to herself. Her hands were folding into her lap and Nick wanted to ask if something were wrong because usually she would hold his hand while he drove. He knew however what he had planned for her would take her mind off whatever may be going through her mind. It had began to rain, dark clouds formed in the sky. the news had said there were of thunder showers that day.

When they weren't going in the direction of Brooke's house or Nick's rental house where he and the guys were staying she faced him. "Where are we going?"

"Don't worry about it," he told her with a smirk on his face. Ten minutes later Nick reached his destination and turned the car off. The beach was visible and there was a large, white beach house sitting alone.

"Nick the beach? We were just here a couple of days ago."

"Not here," he said getting out.

"Okay but at your guys' house." She said once she opened her door. She swung her legs out of the car and waited for Nick to come around to her side.

"Be right back, stay here," he kissed her softly on the cheek and walked towards the house. He put a key into the hole, pushed the door open and disappeared. A minute later he came out and went back to Brooke.

"Nick what's going on?" She smiled. Nick bent down, put Brooke's arm around his neck and picked her up into his arms. He then carried her on the walk way and up to the house. "Nick?" She asked again and Nick only grinned ear to ear. Stepping up he brought her inside the empty home. He carried her into what she guessed was the living room and brought a hand up to her mouth.

The room had white candles all around the floor, there was a large white feather bed on the ground surrounded by pillows and Nick carefully went down to his knees and set her down. He then put her leg up onto a large pillow and looked at her deeply into her blue eyes.

"What do you think?" Nick asked searching her eyes.

"Of what? Nick this is beautiful."

"What do you think of the house?"

"It's amazing, I don't understand?"

"I bought it," he said simply. Brooked cocked her head to the side and raised an eye brow. "I'm going to move back to Florida."

"To live live?" She asked swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat. Nick nodded his head and then reached up to tuck a piece of loose hair behind her ear.

"I was actually planning on looking for a place here before we came here over a month ago but then you came back into my life..." His voice drifted off for a moment. "And I wasn't expecting it to happen but I fell In love with you during these short weeks and the thought of being across the country from you hurt so much." Nick watched Brooke bite her lower lip and her eyes shifted looking into his. "I love you Brooke Heart," Nick's cheek blushed a little and Brooke put her hand on the back of Nick's head and pulled him near her. She pressed her glossed lips to his and kissed him with all of the emotion she had inside.

"I love you," she breathed pulling away a little. Nick pulled away more when he saw a single tear drip down her cheek. He brought his index finger up and brushed it away.

"Why the tears?"

"I'm happy?" She said more as a question.

"Brooke?"

"I guess I just had already convinced myself that you would be going back at the end of next week." Her chin dropped and Nick lifted it up.

"Brooke, I'm here and not going anywhere...unless it's for a tour," he half laughed. "Is that why you've been distant with me the last couple of weeks?"

"Yeah I'm sorry, it just hurt to think you would be gone."

"I understand, but hey we're here together in our new home and-"

"Our?" She interrupted.

"Well, some day when we're ready to live together, I hope so." Brooke smiled.

"We'll take things slow."

"Of course," he kissed her. Brooke then kissed him back harder. Nick gently lay her down and ran his hand under her shirt feeling her smooth stomach. Brooke kissed Nick's neck, wrapping her left leg around his. Nick fumbled with her buttons on her jean shorts and looked into her eyes asking for permission. She nodded her head, biting her bottom lip and lifted Nick's shirt up and over his head. She threw it behind her and kissed his lips again.

"Make love to me Nick," she breathed heavily and Nick pulled her tank top off and cupped her breast into his hand and massaged it. Brooke let out a soft moan and watched as Nick sat up. He slowly pulled her shorts off and carefully lifted her broken ankle up as he pulled them .

"I don't tell you enough how beautiful you are," he kissed her stomach. "You're beautiful Brooke," he kissed her lips. Brooke fumbled with Nick's jean buttons and unzipped them. She sat up a little and began to pull them off. Nick helped her get them off and in between kisses the rest of their clothes were on the floor.

"Nick, protection?" She asked.

"I've got it, don't worry," he smiled. From there the two entangled themselves up in the soft blankets that were on the ground and each other. The candles flickered with a peaceful glow and rain hit the windows softly. It was the first time they had made love to each other and both knew it would be a day they would forever remember.
~*~*~*~*~
"So when are you putting the furniture in?" Brooke asked eating Chinese out of the carton.

"Later this week, they're moving some of my things tomorrow. But most of it can be sold with the house." Brooke nodded her head.

"So was today my date you've been promising me that would knock my socks off?"

"Nope, this was the date to knock all of your clothes off," he wiggled is eye brow. "No that one will come, don't worry."

"Oh, I'm not. But it's going to be hard to top this," she said honestly.

"I know," he said with a smile. Brooke's phone than rang and without looking at the number she answered it. "I'm going to clean up," Nick told her standing up and Brooke nodded her head.

"Hello?" She answered the phone.

"Brooke?"

"This is she," she said not knowing who was on the other line.

"Look before you hang up, I need to talk to you." Then it hit her.

"You're not supposed to call," she told him.

"I know but I just, I had to hear your voice. I got out today and I just need you to know how sorry I am for hurting you."

"Caleb, don't call me again." She hung up the phone knowing that hanging up on him was a bad choice but she heard Nick walking back.

"Who was that?" Nick asked.

"Oh no one, wrong number." She smiled. "So, I'm ready for dessert," she told Nick pulling him down to the ground.

"Is that so?" Nick asked.

"Uh huh," she leaned in and kissed Nick.

~*~*~*~Two days later~*~*~*~*~

"I will call you when Reanne leaves, we are having some girl time," Brooke told Nick over the phone. "And then us four will go out tonight."

"Alright, I'll go have some guy time with Alex since he's the only one around." Nick pouted and Brooke rolled her eyes.

"Have fun baby," she told him.

"Yeah yeah," Nick mumbled. "Love you," he said.

"Love you." They hung up and Brooke looked over to Reanne who was pretending to put her finger down her throat.

"Gag me," she laughed.

"Please, you're not much better with A.J."

"That's a different relationship. Don't ask how it just is, okay you ready to grab some lunch?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'll drive," Brooke joked.

"Right, I don't feel like dying because you keep hitting both the gas and brake with your casted leg. I'll drive," she walked to the door. When Reanne opened the door and almost fell over when she saw who it was. "You leave now before I call the cops." She said with anger.

"Reanne?" Brooke asked coming up behind her and gasped when she saw who it was. "What are you doing here?"

"Please give me five minutes," the 6'0", tall sandy brown hair and hazel eyes guy begged. His tattoo of a dragon was visible on his arm and Brooke shivered looking at it.

"Caleb leave," she said sternly.

"I'm calling the cops," Reanne said digging in her purse for her cell phone.

"NO DON'T!" Caleb yelled reaching for the phone and in the process knocked into Brooke. She lost her balance on the crutches and hit the ground hard. "Brooke! I'm sorry," he went to kneel down and help her up but Reanne pushed him away and out the door.

"You touch her and I will hurt you, now get out!" She pushed him harder and closed the door locking it. "B you okay?" She asked going to Brooke's side. Brooke was holding her ankle and scrunching her face in pain.

"Yeah, give me a second." She took in a deep breath and let it out.

"What is he doing here?"

"I don't know? He called me a couple days ago but I hung up on him."

"You need to call the police."

"They won't do anything unless they catch him near me. You know that. Dammit it hurts," she unstrapped the boot to look at her ankle.

"I'll get you some ice," Reanne squeezed her shoulder and went into the kitchen. She took out an ice pack from the refrigerator and a towel and brought it out.

"Thanks," Brooke said taking the ice.

"You want to go in the living room?" Reanne asked and Brooke nodded her head. Reanne helped Brooke to her feet and gave her the crutches. They went into the living room and Brooke sat down on the couch. She put her leg up and set the ice on. Her head dropped back and she closed her eyes.

"Tell me this all just didn't happen."

"You should stay at Nick's for a while I think or with me but he knows where I live."

"Nick doesn't know about any of this or my past."

"Maybe you should tell him."

"And sound like a pathetic girl that needs saving? I don't need saving and it's bad enough he's had to help so much because of my ankle."

"Nick won't think that, he loves you and I think if you don't tell him and he finds out another way he'll be mad."

"I don't know." Brooke picked the ice up and looked down at her foot. "Great it's swelling."

"Let's get an XRay and make sure you didn't screw any of the screws," Reanne laughed at her own joke.

"Not funny," Brooke glared.

"Sorry, you know I'm corny like that. But seriously, we'll just go in quick." Brooke nodded her head and went to put her boot back on.

"This isn't going to happen," she said.

"We'll bring it with us, come on," Reanne picked up the boot and Brooke slowly went out to Reanne's car.
~*~*~
"Nothing looks damaged Brooke but because off the screws and everything else in there it will be sore for quite some time if you were to bang it. It's good you had the boot on though. Keep icing and elevating today." The doctor put the boot back on her foot and Brooke closed her eyes tight in pain and nodded her head. She thanked the doctor and stood up by Reanne.

"That's good news. Let's get you home to rest so we can do something with the guys tonight if you're up to it," Reanne told her sympathetically. As if on cue her cell phone rang. "Hey babe," she answered. "I'm not home no, at the hospital....no no I'm fine, Brooke had to get an XRay...uh...okay. Hey Brooke, Nick wants to talk to you."

"Didn't A.J. call you?"

"Yeah but he's with Nick...sorry." Brooke sighed and took the phone balancing on the crutches.

"Hey Nick," she spoke into the phone softly. "No I'm alright, I had a little spill and just for precaution I got an XRay...everything came out fine...just a little sore...no, we're just leaving...you don't have to....but...ugh." She handed the phone to Reanne. "They're on their way over, let's go." She shook her head and began walking out to the car.

"Nick's a little protective huh?"

"You think?" She asked getting into the car. "He means well but sheesh." The two drove home and when the two pulled into the driveway Nick was outside talking A.J. Nick walked up to the passenger side and opened the door. A.J. had gone to Reanne's side and opened her door and gave her a kiss.

"Hey you," Nick helped her out and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Hey," she smiled. Seeing Nick always did make her smile and she automatically put her arms through his and hugged him.

"Miss me?" He smirked pulling her away a little.

"Yeah."

"It's only been two days."

"I know."

"So how did you fall?" Nick raised an eye brow and gave her her crutches. Brooke looked over to Reanne who nodded her head. "What were you doing, break dancing?" Nick laughed.

"Let's go sit," she told him and went ahead to the front door. Once inside they all went into the living room but Reanne held A.J.'s hand standing.

"We'll go in the other room," she told Brooke. "And figure out what we'll do tonight." Brooke nodded her head and Nick looked at her trying to figure out what was going on. He watched as she brought her leg up onto the couch and put a pillow under it, wincing in pain.

"You're hurting baby aren't you?" He rubbed her back a little.

"I'm good," she smiled and took in a deep breath. Letting it out slow she wondered where to start. "Alright Nick I have to tell you something," she said seriously.

"You're making me nervous. Are you breaking up with me?" He half joked.

"No nothing like that. I need to tell you something about my past."

"Listening," Nick said turning to face her more on the couch.

"To make a long story short...I dated this guy, Caleb for about 3 years." She paused trying to read Nick but continued. "And for a good year and half of that, we had a good relationship and were in love. But then his true colors started coming out and he became emotionally abusive to me, telling me I'm no good and all sorts of names. I tried to break up with him and well, we did for a little while but then he apologized and I forgave and we got back together." She ran a hand through her hair and Nick placed a hand on her leg.

"He got laid off his job and I was in nursing school at the time finishing up so things were tight. He got this crappy late night job but it didn't matter because we loved each other supposedly. But he then became more physical and began drinking more, non-the-less I was now in a physical abusive relationship. I'm a smart girl but I kept telling myself he'd be fine once he got a new job. I tried to leave him a couple of times but that usually involved a black eye or cracked rib. It wasn't until I was put into the hospital with a broken rib, a concussion and broken ankle, that Reanne really stepped in, called the cops on him and that was it.
"He was put away for a while...until a couple of days ago. He called me, saying he wanted to apologize for everything. I hung up on him and he showed up today. Reanne went to call the cops but he tried to take the phone and I was in the way and lost my balance and fell."

Nick watched as Brooke shrunk back, bringing her good leg up to her chest and hugging it. He was boiling with anger and wanted to kill this Caleb guy but saw how hard it was for Brooke to open up to him about it and went to pull her in for a hug. He noticed her flinch a little and then she told Nick she was sorry for not being honest sooner.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," he whispered and felt her body relax into his arms. "I won't let him hurt you," he kissed her temple.

"He won't hurt me, I think he seriously wanted to apologize," Brooke pulled away. "But he just has to know he's not allowed to, he knows he has restraining order. I don't want you worrying about this or me Nick." Her voice was more confident now and she was sitting up.

"How am I supposed to not worry? He came to your house and has called you. Did you call the police?"

"Well, no but-" At that moment Nick stood up.

"What the hell Brooke?" Nick's voice rose.

"Nick it's fine."

"You already went to the hospital because of him."

"But he didn't do that deliberately."

"You're defending a guy who used to beat you?"

"I'm not but Nick-"

"What's going on?" Reanne asked stepping into the room with A.J.

"I'm calling," Nick said taking his phone from his pocket and disappeared outside.

"So that went well?" Reanne asked sitting next to Brooke.

"He doesn't understand. The cops will take his name, look up his charges and the restraining order; but they'll just send someone here for twenty-four hours. When he doesn't show they'll leave and that's the end of it."

"Let Nicky do this, it's his way of showing he's protecting you. He loves you kid," A.J. told her sitting on her other side.

"I know and I love him for it but he just wouldn't let me explain it all and tell him it's not that easy." Brooke sighed and Nick walked back in.

"Brooke I'm sorry for losing it," he said walking up to her. "They're sending someone over for the night, they'll get your-"

"Statement and they'll hang out side for twenty-four hours."

"Uh-yeah, but you can stay with me tonight." Brooke only nodded her head. This wasn't how she wanted it to go.
~*~*~*~
"That was a pretty good movie," Nick said climbing into bed with Brooke.

"Uh huh," she said reading her book.

"Brooke, please, don't be mad at me."

"Nick, I'm not mad."

"You're not happy with me." He said leaning on his side. Brooke set the book down.

"Look I'm sorry baby, I just know it's not going to be a big deal and I don't want you worrying about me." She propped herself up onto her elbows.

"I understand that, but you're my girl now and let me take care of you once in a while." Nick said sweetly and rubbed her stomach.

"Let, me take care of you," she whispered and kissed him. Her body leaned over his bare chest and he enjoyed the way her silk night gown felt over his skin.
Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl
"Nick today has been perfect," Brooke gushed and she followed him onto the dock. "Brunch was amazing, the massage this morning was well, I think I showed you after how I felt about that," she grinned.

"I told you I'd take you on a date you'll never forget," he winked.

"This is like an all day date, I love it."

"And I love that sun dress on you."

"Oh yes, very sexy with this black brick on my leg and these flattering aluminium crutches." She popped her hip out pretending to model and spun around.

"Oh, you make it work," Nick winked and then told Brooke to watch her step. Nick put a cooler into his boat and a bag. Brooke threw her crutches in, then took off her back pack and tossed it in. Nick got in first and she put her arms on his shoulders and he picked her up by her waist. She sat down and watched as Nick got the boat ready. Within five minutes he was pulling away.

"It's so nice out!" Brooke leaned back into the seat and enjoyed the sun on her face and the salty breeze. Nick drove for about a half hour and then turned the boat off. There was no one out near them in the wide ocean and it was relaxing to lay there with one another.

"So we're going to start recording more of the album in a couple weeks and finish it up."

"That's great Nick, where are you guys' doing that?"

"Either New York or California. Do you want to come with me?"

"I do but I should be about ready to go back to work. I need to start making some money."

"Brooke, you don't have to worry about that. You still can't even start to put any weight on your leg for another two weeks. You're out of work anyway for another month."

"We'll see Nick, I just feel weird of you supporting me."

"Let's go swimming," he stood up and took his shirt off. Nick looked at Brooke who hadn't moved. "I'll give you a noodle," Nick pulled out a green noodle from a side compartment and then a yellow one for himself. She took off her sun dress revealing her brown, pink and white bikini and then began unstrapping her boot. Setting in the ground, she pushed herself up to the back of the boat. Holding her right leg up she scooted herself to the step and Nick jumped in over her, splashing.

"Thanks," she giggled.

"Come here," Nick swam closer to her and helped her ease into the water. He gave her a noodle and she let herself float with it. "Now, no kicking with that foot!"

"Yes, Dad." She stuck he tongue out.

"You better watch it with that," Nick said.

"Or what?"

"I'll bite it off."

"Speaking of bite, are there sharks out here since we're so far out?"

"Probably," Nick shrugged and leaned back.

"NICK!"

"What?" He laughed. "I'm sure there are, don't worry about it though."

"Easy for you to say, you can swim and have two good feet."

"That's true, I can save myself." He smiled and Brooke splashed him. They continued to float around for awhile and then climbed back into the boat. Brooke wrapped a towel around herself and was now sitting in the passenger seat.

"I have a sweet tan line working here," she said referring to her pale leg where her boot usually was.

"Leave it off for a while, it may tan a little," Nick laughed and handed her a water bottle.
~*~*~*~
Later that night Brooke and Nick were getting ready to have a romantic night in when A.J. called Nick. Brooke was just finishing up making dinner and Nick walked in with a guilty look on his face.

"A.J. lost power, apparently there's a storm heading this way. I'm going to help him get the generator because he has all those salt water fish that will die. I'm sorry."

"No it's fine, I'll have dinner all set for when you get home. Hey you think you could pick up some strawberries?" Brooke batted her eye lashes.

"I think I can manage that, anything else call my cell." He kissed her and took his keys off the counter. "Love you," he said and went out to his car. Brooke finished making the lasagna and put it into the oven to bake and then went up stairs to get herself ready to look good for Nick. She put on a sexy pair of pink boxer shorts with a matching silk tank top, applied light make up and curled her hair a little. She then put lotion on her legs and set up candles around the room. It was time she did more for Nick after all the things he's done for her.

She was about to go downstairs to check on dinner when her phone began to ring on the dresser. She went over to her phone and picked it up seeing it was A.J's number.

"Hey A.J." She answered.

"Hey yourself, what are you wearing?"

"Funny Nick, what are you doing?"

"Damn, I need to work on that raspy voice. Anyway, I left my cell phone on the counter so if you need me in the next ten minutes call A.J's phone."

"It's alright, I think I'm all set. Just get your sexy self home!"

"Yes Mam!" Nick hung up and Brooke laughed. She took her phone and went back down stairs. She felt a breeze come through the kitchen and saw that the french doors were open and the wind had picked up.

"Gotta love Florida weather," she told herself. If it was sunny it was raining or thunder storming. She shut the doors and went into the kitchen. She put her phone next to Nick's that lay on the counter.

Setting her crutches against the counter, she put her hands into the pot holders and took dinner out to check. It needed another ten minutes so she stuck it back in. As she closed the oven her phone rang again and she turned to get it. She looked down at the number and smiled when she saw it was Nick. She noticed that his cell phone was gone and that he must've snuck in to call her.

"Hello?" She said in a sexy tone. Nick didn't answer and she looked around the house. "Nick, are you trying to be seductive here?"

"You look sexy," his voice breathed. It was hard to hear him, it sounded like he was outside.

"Oh yeah? Well, why don't you come out so you can get up close and personal."

"I have a surprise for you, put the phone down and step out side to the beach," he then hung up. Brooke shook her head, set her phone down on the counter and opened the french doors to go outside. She thought she would see Nick there waiting with the strawberries and maybe roses but she didn't see him anywhere.

"Nick?" She called out and walked around the small patio area that was set up outside. The ocean waves were large and crashing up onto the beach. The wind was blowing hard and she felt as though she'd fall over. As she was about to turn to go back inside she saw a light flash down the beach a ways towards the dock. Brooke couldn't believe Nick would have her try to make it down the beach, on a night like this on crutches. She turned to go back inside to call Nick back, to let him know it was a sweet gesture but she didn't think it would be safe. She turned the handle on the door and found them to be locked.

"Great," she whispered and saw the light flash a few more times. "Things we do for love," she told herself and began to make her way down the beach. It was dark and cold out, the mood and stars were hidden by the dark storm clouds. "NICK? Nick how about you come to me now!" She squinted her eyes trying to get them to adjust to the darkness and moved a little closer to where she thought Nick might be. She doubt that he could hear her through the whistling wind.

She shivered in her night clothes and the tip of her crutch tripped over something. She fell into the sand, thankful for it only being sand but looked up thinking Nick would have saw her and came to her side by now. It was a lot of work to use crutches in thick sand and she found herself breathing hard trying to get herself to her feet.

"Let me help," she heard a voice behind her and she knew then it wasn't Nick. She looked up and saw Caleb holding an out reached hand.
~*~*~*~*
"Caleb! What are you doing here?" Brooke's voice rose over the waves and wind.

"I had to see you, and you wouldn't give me the time of day. We were together for three years, don't I deserve five minutes?"

"Caleb, you shouldn't be here. Nick is on his way home."

"Five minutes," he picked her up, leaving her crutches on the ground and carried her to the wooden dock that the waves were crashing over.

"Caleb, let's talk inside, I can't walk and the storm is getting worse!" She held onto him balancing on one leg. She felt the water splash up onto her leg. Goosebumps covered her skin and her light night gown blew in the wind.

"I love you so much Brookey," Caleb touched her face, then let his hand run down her arm, and down her pants.
~*~*~*~
"Honey, I'm home!" Nick yelled walking into the house with a bag of strawberries and champagne. He laughed to himself a little at how corny he sounded and went into the kitchen. When he walked in, he was hit with the aroma of smoke and he immediately went to the oven. He put the pot holders on and pulled out the now burnt lasagna and set it on the counter. He turned off the oven and walked around the house calling Brooke's name.

"Brooke, did you forget about dinner babe?" He asked and then climbed the stairs. He went into his room, where he saw nothing but candles lit around his room. He then went into the bathroom and didn't find her. "Babe where are you?" He asked and that moment the lights flickered and the power shut off.
~*~*~*~
"Caleb, we're just not meant to be. We had something good but you turned into a monster and if you're not that person any more than I am happy for you but we just cannot be a part of each other's lives," Brooke tried to reason with him as she managed to get his hands off of her.

"But we are supposed to be! You're blinded by the lights and fame of Richy Rich."

"That's not true, we love each other. I'm happy!" At that moment Caleb grabbed her arms and squeezed them.

"I can make you happier! I have a good job now and am living in a good apartment, got myself a dog."

"That's great Caleb but I don't want to be with you." His grip tightened on her arm and knew there would be a bruise there in the morning.
~*~*~*~
Nick went to the linen closet and pulled out a flash light and briskly went through the house looking for Brooke. He went back to the kitchen where her cell phone was and picked it up. He hit send to see who her last calls were, A.J's cell, which was him and then he saw his number. Looking at the time, it read that he had called from cell at 9:08, it was now 9:40 and had just gotten home five minutes ago. Nick couldn't figure it out and opened the doors to go outside.

Nick cupped his hands over his mouth and called out, "BROOKE!" he stepped out onto the patio, the wind had picked up since he got home and looked around. He saw a flash of light where he thought was his dock and he began to jog down with his flash light still in hand. He stepped on something hard and shone the light down at this feet and saw Brooke's crutches lying on the ground. He knew she couldn't walk without them and he felt his heart begin to race.
~*~*~*~
"One more chance and let me prove myself. You're the only one who ever understood me," Caleb leaned forward to kiss her. She pushed him off of her and he fell backwards. Slipping on the dock, and into the water. To keep herself from falling, she gripped a post and fell hard on her good leg, bruising her knee.

"Just stay here and Nick will find you," she told herself trying to remain calm. She was soaked and she held onto the post for her life. As she tried to regain her breathing, she felt an arm drape over her and pull her into the water.

~*~*~*~
Nick heard a loud scream as he was a few feet away from the dock and he ran on it. "Brooke!" He watched as the waves took her out and away from the dock. He jumped in not knowing Caleb was in the water and then felt a pair of hands on him.

"You don't deserve her!" Caleb joked back in the rough waves. Nick did his best to kick Caleb off and away from him.

Brooke used her arms to treat the water, her right leg was no use with the boot on and her left knee groaned in pain every time she used it. Her casted leg was pulling her down and she tried to unstrap it, her head bobbing up and down in the water and she continulously spit out the salty ocean.

She managed to get it off and let it float out into the ocean and leg felt lighter already. Her body weak; she fought to get to the shore. Once she was close enough she allowed the waves to throw her body up onto the wet sand. Exhausted she lay still breathing hard, waves still crashing up and on top of her. Coughing she dragged herself up slowly. She turned her head and saw that Nick and Caleb were only feet away from her, and Caleb had Nick pinned down. He punched Nick hard and Nick fell to the ground limply.

"Noo," Brooke whimpered and stumbled to get up to her feet. As she stepped down onto her right leg, she felt a sharp excruciating pain go up and down her ankle. Falling to the ground she dragged her body on the ground as if she were in the army to reach Nick. On the way she picked up a stick and held it tight in her hand.

"Where do you think you're going?" Caleb asked, grabbing her bad ankle and now Brooke let out a loud cry. He picked her up and she kicked and screamed to get out of his arms. He pulled her closer to the water's edge. "You should've just given me another chance. Still can't swim I see and of course you've got that busted ankle." As he shoved her into the water, Brooke lifted her arm and shoved the sharp piece of wood into Caleb's shoulder. He fell back, hit his head on the dock and fell into water. Losing her balance with the waves she was back in the water and struggling to hold onto the dock.

"Brooke, hold on!" She heard Nick's voice and then felt a hand pull her up. "Baby are you alright?" Nick asked as she fell into his arms. She held him tight and shook her head no. Hell no wasn'talright, she almost drowned, her ankle was probably broken again and she almost lost Nick.

"Nick, you're bleeding," she reached up to touch his head.

"I'm fine,let's get you inside." Nick stumbled to his feet and held onto a post to balance himself. He reached for Brooke's hand with his left hand and pulled her to her feet.

"You're not okay, what's wrong?"

"I'm fine," he went to pick her up and cried out in pain. "I think my shoulder is dislocated."

"Alright, we'll just have to work together to get in, your left arm okay?" She asked and he nodded his head. She held onto his arm and waist to drag herself up the sand dune and to the house.

"What's wrong with your other leg?" Nick asked looking down at her.

"It's okay, I just banged my knee a little."

They were about fifty yards away and Brooke dropped to her knees. "I just need a minute."

"Okay," Nick knelt down by her. It was now raining and although the house wasn't that far away it seemed like eternity. Both were worn out from the waves and injuries. "I'm so sorry I wasn't here," he pulled her to him.

"Not your fault," she couldn't keep back the tears of fear,pain and exhaustion. She buried her face into his neck and squeezed him. "Okay let's go," she breathed heavily and with each other's help they stood up. Once to her feet though, Brooke felt a wave of dizziness and before she hit the ground Nick put his arms under her.

"I've got you," Nick bit his lip and picked her up ignoring the pain his shoulder was in and her head rested on his good one and he got them to the house. Once inside he lay her on the couch. Her body was shaking uncontrollably and he knew something wasn't right. The power was still off and and he wrapped a blanket tightly around her body. "Brooke, can you hear me? Open your eyes baby," he knelt by her side of the couch.

"Nick?" She op end her eyes.

"You're alright, you fainted on me. I'm going to get a cell phone and some dry clothes for us okay?"

"NO!" She gripped Nick's arm.

"Shh, relax. I'll be quick, here I'll light these candles right here," Nick went to the mantel and lit the five candles on it. He then went back to the couch and kissed her forehead. "I love you. You need to trust me, you're alright. The doors are locked and I'll be right back." She hesitated for a moment and nodded her head. Nick held his bad arm and stood up and went to the kitchen where Brooke's phone was. He picked it up and ran up stairs and got them each a new pair of clothes. He brought them down.

"I can put your arm back in, come here." She sat up on the couch and patted next to her for Nick to sit down. "It's going to hurt like a bitch at first but it will feel better right after."

"I trust you," he whispered. She licked her lips and held his right arm with her left hand and then pressed his shoulder with her right hand. It made a loud pop and Nick let out the F bomb taking in a deep breath.

"Breathe Nick," she told him. He opened his eyes and let his breath out. "You okay?"

"It feels a lot better," he moved it around a little.

"You'll want a sling for a couple days to keep it still."

"Let's get you dry, you're still shaking." He handed her the clothes and she changed her shirt while Nick put on his dry clothes. When it came to putting on her sweat pants, Nick saw her struggle.

"This sucks, it was bad enough with one leg out of service, now two?"

"We'll get it looked at," he told her and gently lifted up her hurt ankle and put it through the hole. He then slid her left leg through and pulled them up to her hips. He put a flash light on her foot and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm getting you some ice," here see if you can get a hold of A.J. He handed her the cell phone. She hit send to where A.J's last call was and waited as it rang.

"Alex, hi it's Brooke."

"Hey, what are you doing? You're supposed to have a romantic night with Nicky."

"Can you come over we need some help."

"Uh, sure, you okay?"

"Kinda, not really. We'll fill you in when you get here. Are you with Reanne."

"I just dropped her off at home."

"Okay good, don't tell her anything yet. She'll worry and she doesn't need to."

"Be there in a few."

"Thanks." She hung up the phone and shivered as she looked outside at the blowing palm trees.

"Get a hold of him?" Nick asked with a bag of frozen vegetables.

"He's on his way."

"Ice cubes were melting, so we'll use this. I'm going to wrap your foot up good and knee. I had a couple of these ace bandages from something." He put a bag of vegetables on her knee and one one her ankle. Nick then wrapped her foot up tight as well as her knee. "I need to call the police." Nick said when he was finished.

"I know," Brooke said dreading the moment, knowing the night was half from being over. Nick took the phone and stood up, walking to the window he began speaking to someone about the nights events. They said they would send a team over and to wait. When Nick hung up, he saw Brooke hugging a pillow to her chest. He was about to sit by her when there was a knock on the door. He went to the front and looked in the peep hole where he saw A.J. standing outside, his hands in his pockets. He quickly opened the door and closed it, then locked it back up.

"Jesus Nick, you look like hell. What's happened?" A.J. asked and Nick brought him into the kitchen to tell him everything that happened.
~*~*~*~
Brooke held the pillow tight to her and had two blankets wrapped around as if she were a mummy. She was staring out the french doors, the same ones that had been opened when she came back down stairs from getting things ready for Nick. Which means Caleb had been in the house the same time she had been. She should've just given him the five minutes the first time and none of this would've happened. But is that true? That's what he said on the dock and he tried to kill her right there. Maybe she should've made a phone call to the police when she got the first phone call from him. Maybe. Too many maybes and not enough of answers.

Her thoughts were then broken, when Caleb jumped at the large glass door, both hands slid down and he fell to his knees. She let out loud scream as he opened the door and climbed and pulled himself through. He scrambled to his feet and jumped ontop of Brooke, his arms pinning her soulders down.

"I LOVE YOU!" He yelled and as he put his mouth on her trembling lips, he was hit over the head by a fire poker from Nick. Caleb's body went limp and A.J. pulled him off of Brooke and he fell hard to the floor.

"I don't think he's breathing," A.J. told Nick who now was trying to help up Brooke.

"POLICE!" Nick heard the front door knock and someone yell.

"COME IN!" Nick yelled and four cops came in with guns up. They saw Caleb's body on the floor and the night began.

"Jay can you bring her into the other room, my shoulder is out again," Nick said holding his arm.

"Yeah,come here girl, put your arms around my neck," A.J. had to pretty much lift her arms, place them on her neck and he picked her up. "Where do you want to go?"

"The sun room," Nick pointed and picked up a blanket. The sun room was a small area where Nick had a couple of chairs, a coffee table and small book case. There were a lot of windows and some plants hanging around. A.J. set down on a chair and Nick dragged the coffee table over. He put one of the chair cushions on it and lifted her legs up onto it. He then wrapped a blanket up to her chin and knelt by her side. Brooke stared blankly ahead, not saying anything but shaking. There was a knock on the door and A.J. got up to see who it was.

"Hey Kaos, the Police want a statement,"A.J. came in quietly.

"Stay with her?" Nick asked looking down at Brooke one more time. A.J. nodded his head and knelt down taking Brooke's hand into his. Nick stood up and went to the officer and brought him over to Caleb's body outside. Nick gave him a statement and explained the condition that Brooke was in.

"So you think you can try to get her to give us a statement, I'll then have an officer escort you to the hospital."

"I'll try,"Nick sighed and went back to where A.J. and Brooke were. "Hey baby," Nick knelt down. "This officer here, wants to get a quick statement from you." Brooke's eyes finally met Nick's. "Just answer his questions," he kissed her forehead and Brooke sat up a little.
~*~*~*~*~
"Hi Brooke my name is Officer Davis." Brooke only nodded her head. "Nick tells me that Caleb was an ex-boyfriend?"

"Yes."

"You have a restraining order on him and he made contact with you about a week ago, you made a call then as well?"

"Yeah it was for him abusing me."

"Prior to tonight and after last week, did he try to come to you at all?"

"No."

"Were the French Doors unlocked when you had gone up stairs?"

"I don't know, I guess so. This area is so remote, we only lock up if we're gone."

"And he took Nick's cell phone?"

"Yeah, I thought it was Nick calling, I went outside and well whatever Nick told you."

"Alright, well it is confirmed that he is dead but we will be in touch if we need anything else. Get some rest," he patted her shoulder and she flinched back. This worried Nick and looked down at her.

"Let's get you checked out," Nick told her lifting the blanket off of her.

"No," she said. "I'm fine, just tired."

"Baby-"

"We'll, just go to the doctor's tomorrow. I'm not waiting in a waiting room for two hours. I'm tired and I..."her voice began to shake and her chin trembled. Nick glanced at A.J. "My crutches are outside..."she looked up at Nick.

"I think the police took them actually...as evidence? We'll get you a new pair a long with new boot." Nick explained and watched as she pulled herself up to her feet. "What are you doing?"

"I hate being so incompetent, I'm going to bed," she went to step forward but grabbed on to A.J. who was about to stop her anyway.

"Shh, let's get you up to bed," he told her. He looked at Nick and nodded his head, letting him know he'd take care of her and brought her up stairs. Brooke wrapped her arms around A.J.'s neck and buried her face into his chest like a child being carried to their bed by their father. He lay her down in the large bed and began to pull the sheets over her.

"Can you take these ice packs off please? They're all water."

"Sure," he smiled and slowly unraveled the ace bandages. He took the bags of thawed vegetables and set them on the floor. "I'll see you tomorrow, get some rest." A.J. kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you A.J." She told him and curled herself up into a ball. A.J. took the wet bags and went down stairs where he found Nick in the kitchen. The power had just come back on and Nick was rubbing his temples.

"Need a drink?" A.J. asked setting the bags in the sink.

"Yes," he said not joking. "She alright?"

"She's like a child up there."

"Her emotions are all over the place, one minute she's impossible to talk to, then she's stubborn, then she's upset-"

"Nick, it was a scary night for both of you. I don't think it's sunk in for you yet."

"I don't want it to. I could've lost her tonight."

"You could've lost yourself tonight. But it's over now and the psycho is gone."

"When she was in the water, I thought she was gone." Nick's voice broke and he put his head into his hands.

"She can't swim can she?"

"Not well, I taught her a little when we first met again."

"Go to bed, go hold her in your arms tonight and all day tomorrow. Call me if you need me or want me to take you to the doctor's. I'll tell Reanne tomorrow so she doesn't come over and well, act like Reanne," A.J. joked. He then pulled Nick into a hug. "Love you Nick. And I love Brooke, I'm glad you're okay."

"Love you too," Nick told him and pulled away.

"I'll lock up, go," A.J. told him and Nick nodded before trudging up the stairs. When he went to his room, he saw the candles were slowly melting down and he went around blew them out. He then crawled into bed, and pulled himself up to Brooke's curled up body. His arms wrapped around her waist and he kissed her shoulder.

"I love you so much," he squeezed her and she turned and faced him. He noticed her tear stained face and pulled her tighter.

"I'm scared," she told him. Nick did his best to hold her tight but was afraid he'd break her if he squeezed any harder. He knew she was scared because he hadn't kept her promise, and that was to protect her and not let Caleb hurt her.
Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl
Nick's body lay lifelessly on the sandy beach. The powerful wind blew his hair in every direction and Caleb had to struggle to pull Nick into the water. His body rolled into the waves and the strong current pushed Nick out to sea. Not able to move her legs, Brooke pulled herself to the edge of the wooden dock to try to reach Nick.

"NIIICK!" She screamed as her hand was inches away and his body went deep down into the ocean.

"Brooke wake up!" Nick rocked Brooke lightly. He had been asleep for only an hour when he heard Brooke's cry. He looked at the clock and it was four am. "Brooke, come back to me," he told her holding her shoulder. She tossed and turned before opening her eyes. When her eyes locked with Nick's, she reached up and put her arms around his neck. "It was only a dream baby girl," he told her rubbing her back. Her body was sweating, her tee-shirt soaked but her body was shaking.

"You drowned...like Taya," she whimpered and Nick's heart broke right there. He held her tight and rocked her back and forth.
~*~*~*~*~
That morning, Nick woke up to the sunlight shining through his windows. His body was sweating slightly and realized he still had Brooke in his arms. He manged to lift his head a little and read the clock. It was eleven am and his shoulder felt stiff. He sat up a little and looked down at Brooke. Her eyes were wide open and she was staring ahead. Nick doubted that she had slept at all. Kissing herh ead he sat up, so he could get off his arm.

Brooke's eyes were read and puffy, her skin pale. "You hungry?" Nick asked her already knowing the answer. She shook her head no and sat up a little with Nick. "I'm going to hop into the shower," he told her standing up. Nick picked out a pair of khaki shorts and a tee shirt. After he got showered and ready, he filled the bathtub with warm water for Brooke to get cleaned up. When he went back into his bedroom, he saw her curled up at the edge of the bed.

"What do you say about get taking a bath and getting cleaned up? And then we'll get ourselves checked out. You can take your time and we'll go slow today," he told her soothingly and stroked back her hair that was still damp from the night before.

"Everything hurts," she told him and Nick gave her a once over. He noticed the bruises on her arms, her lip was cut open, and he couldn't imagine how her ankle or knee was feeling.

"I think it will help," he smiled. Brooke couldn't believe how great and understanding Nick was being. She knew she was being difficult but she really didn't feel like doing anything at that moment. "Come on," Nick took her hand and helped her sit up. She felt her knee groan when she bent it and looked down. Her knee cap was covered in a dark purple bruise.

"Your shoulder," she told Nick as he went to pick her up.

"It's just a little stiff, it's okay," he smiled again and picked her up. He brought her into the bathroom where he set her on the steps up to his large jacuzzi bathtub. "Do you want me to help you in, or give you some space?"

"Space please. Thanks Nick."

"I'll be in the bedroom," he pecked her lips and walked out. Slowly, Brooke slid off her clothes and dragged her body into the bathtub, slowly sinking in. She turned off the running water and took the wash cloth that lay on the side and poured some body wash on it. She washed her skin and did her best to scrub away the remains of the previous night. She then poured a small amount of shampoo in her hands and scrubbed her scalp, removing and salt and grit from the ocean. When she was done, she tilted her head back and sank under water and ran her fingers through her hair.

As her body went under water, she closed her eyes. It was at that moment she swore she could feel an arm drape around her and push her deeper into the water. She sat up fast and hard letting out a scream. Nick had been talking to A.J. on the phone when he heard Brooke and he ran into the bathroom.

"Get me out!" She yelled, breathing hard and coughing. "Nick please," she begged and Nick reached in and scooped her body up into his arms. He briskly brought her into the bedroom where he lay her down on the bed and put the sheet around her naked body.

"Shh calm down baby, you're hyperventilating," he told her noticing she wasn't breathing right. She tried to take in deep breath's but found herself unable to and she squeezed Nick's hand in fear. "I'm going to sit you up," he put an arm around her back, tucked her legs up and had her lean forward. At that instant, her breathing slowed down and her body collapsed against Nick's. He gently lay her head back down on the pillow and he thumbed her cheek. "There you go, just relax. You're alright."

He waited another five minutes before trying to talk to her. He was afraid to ask what had happened in case she'd get upset again.

"What happened in there babe?" He asked calmly, giving her a small smile, still stroking her arm gently. She didn't answer right away and when she blinked, a tear from each eye rolled down. "It's alright you can tell me."

"It's crazy," she finally admitted thinking of exactly what happened.

"Nothing you could say would be crazy, just tell me so I can help."

"I felt his arms pull me under water," she told Nick and put her shaking hands to her face. Nick climbed into bed with her, wrapped his arms around her small waist and whispered into her ear.

"No one can hurt you, nothing can hurt you. You got through last night because you're a strong person and you cannot forget that."

"I know," she placed a hand on his chest. "I'm sorry for being so weak."

"You're not being weak," he kissed her forehead.
~*~*~*
"Looks like just a bruised knee cap," Her family doctor told her. "I'll get you a new pair of crutches, a boot for your ankle because I am concerned about that. The X Ray showed it was alright but your heeling process will probably take a little longer."

Brooke nodded her head trying to listen to everything he said as she sat up on the table. Nick was in another room getting his shoulder looked at and she found herself jumping at every little sound. "Brooke I know last night was traumatic, how did you sleep last night?"

"Huh?" She asked snapping out of it.

"Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Yeah I'm fine. But it was a late night so I'm a little tired."

"Well, if you'd like me to prescribe you anything to help you sleep or with any anxiety you may feel; give me a call."

"Okay thanks," she said.

"I'll be right back," the Doctor stepped out and when the door slammed shut she found herself jumping again.

"Relax Brooke, you're being ridiculous." She kept back the tears that threatened to fall. A minute later she heard a knock on the door. "Come in," her voice cracked. Expecting it to be to the Doctor, Nick walked in with a sling on his arm. "Nick I'm so sorry," she told him when she saw his arm. The tears burned the back of her eyes again.

"Hey, nothing to be sorry for. It's actually okay and the doctor said just for a day or two to give the muscles a break from holding my arm up. What did she say about you?"

Brooke shrugged her shoulders, "Just giving me another boot, crutches and another two days of my life doing nothing until I can walk at least one leg." There was another knock on the door and Nick saw her jump before saying "come in."

"Here we go now," the Doctor went over to the side of the table and carefully put the boot on her foot. She then wrapped her knee up with a large ace bandage and wrote in her chart. "Let's get you into this wheel chair," The Doctor had one side of Broke and Nick helped with his left hand getting her down. "Give me a call if you need anything else like I said Brooke," she smiled and opened the door. Brooke held the crutches and Nick pushed the wheel chair out into the hall and outside to the car.

He took her crutches and put them into the back, then took his sling off to help Brooke up. He then returned the wheel chair and came back a minute later. He climbed in and started the car.

"How about some food and friends?" Nick asked and Brooke shrugged her shoulders and stared out the window; while Nick wondered to himself how long things would be the way they were.
~*~*~*~*~
"You sure she doesn't want anything to eat?" Howie asked as he sat with Nick, and A.J at the table eating burgers. Nick glanced over to Brooke who was sitting on a lounge chair by the pool with Reanne. Reanne was talking to her but Brooke gazed stayed onto the pool where Brian and Baylee were playing.

"We've all asked." Nick said shaking his head. "I should probably get her home in a little bit, but I just wanted her mind to get off of everything."

"So the basard was dead?" Leigh asked as she sat down.

"As far as she's concerned," Nick sighed.

"Wait he's not?"A.J. asked.

"No, but he'll be back into prison. She doesn't need to know the truth." Nick warned.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Hey Nick, I think you should get her home, she won't talk to me." Reanne said with her eyes watering. "Iknow it's only been a day but Nick you should get her to see someone."

"Like you said Reanne, it's been a day. I don't want to her to be thinking about going to see a therapist, she had to do it when her sister died."

"And it helped. Nick was attacked and not by the first time," Reanne spat out.

"She's right Nick, don't talk to her about it now, maybe not tomorrow but in a few days." Brian told him simpathetically. Nick then ran his hands through his blonde hair and his thoughts went to the incident in the bathtub.

"Brookey," Baylee called from the pool.

"What's up lil man?" She asked sitting up.

"Come watch me swim down deep! I can get that ring at the bottom."

"No way!" Brooke smiled and used her crutches to stand up. She walked to the side of the pool and watched as Baylee pushed off the wall and swam to the bottom. Within seconds he came up.

"Hold on, I didn't get enough air!" He then sucked in a big gulp of air then went back down. Brooke's smile faded as the water began to get choppy and turn a dark blue green. Her heart began to beat heavy and she then felt a hand hit her foot. A hand that had hurt her too much, she gasped taking a step back and her crutch slipped on the water. This caused her to launch forward and into the pool.

"BROOKE!" Nick had yelled and Brian was already in the pool since had had his suit on.

"Relax, I have you," Brian tried to calm Brooke down as she thrashed her arms around. Brian got her to the ledge of the pool and A.J. and Howie pulled her out.

"Are you okay?"A.J . asked as Brooke rolled to her side.

"I'm FINE!" She lashed out and went to stand up off her knee and fell back. Howie went to grab her arm to help and she pulled her arm back.

"Nick," she whispered.

"I'm here Brooke, look at me," Nick was now kneeling down and had a hand behind her head. "Look at me," he repeated and her scared eyes met Nick's. "That's my girl. Are you hurt?" He asked and she shook her head no. "I'm going to get you home, alright?" She closed her eyes and nodded her head and her eyes glanced around her noticing everyone staring at her.
"Hey, look at me. You're okay," Nick kissed her forehead and glanced at up at Brian. Brian knew what Nick was asking and was able to get everyone to walk away.
"Put your arm around my neck and I'll help you stand so you don't put a lot of pressure on your knee." Brooke did as Nick asked and he helped her stand. Once he knew she had her blance on one leg, he reached down to get her crutches. He handed them to her and she placed them under her arms.

"We can go now?" She asked.

"Yeah," Nick placed a hand the small of her back as they made their way to Nick's car. "I'll be back in a minute guys." He said as he passed the table where everyone was.

He got Brooke into the passanger seat and then told her he'd be right back. Nick walked back to the house to where everyone was and started to say his good-byes.

"She didn't slip,"Brian said as he walked Nick back out to the car. "I saw the whole thing and I know you did too." Nick stopped in his tracks and nodded his head.

"She jumped,something scared her." Nick sighed.

"Look, go home and call me tonight or tomorrow. You know we're all here."

"Thanks man," Nick and Brian gave each other a quick hug and Nick got in the car.

He started the ignition and reached over and grabbed Brooke's hand. "Ready to go home?"

"Can we go to my place?" She asked not taking her eyes off of the passenger door window. Nick didn't hesitate to say yes. He wanted to do anything and everything to make things better. But he also knew he didn't want her afraid of his place, a place he bought intentions for her.

Thirty minutes later he pulled into her driveway and turned the car off. When he looked over he noticed the tear streaked cheeks, wet eye lashed and how bright her eyes were from the tears.

"Baby what are the tears for?"

"I feel so dumb," she said shaking her head and putting her face into her hands. Nick unbuckled his seat belt and faced her.

"Stop that, everyone understands. We're just all concerned for you."

"He's in my head," her voice was now in a whisper, her head dropped low and the tears were uncontrollable.
Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl
Author's Notes:
Contains sexual content.
Two weeks has passed since Brooke and Nick were attacked by Caleb. The couples injuries were heeling but Nick was concerned for the emotional injury that Brooke still suffered. She slept three hours at a time and would have at least one nightmare and it wasn't always necessarily about the attack; they were often about her sister. To that, Nick could relate but he could never get Brooke to open up to him about anything.

"Brooke?" Nick called out when he had rolled over in bed in the middle of the night to find his girlfriend not there. Rubbing his eyes he looked at the glowing red numbers on his night stand. It was four am and the sky was still pitch black. There were no stars or moon out, dark clouds filled the sky. Nick climbed out of bed, threw on a tee shirt that lay on the ground and went out to the living room where he thought Brooke might be.

When he got to the living room, he saw her staring out the french doors, knees pulled to her chest on the couch. She had on a pair of boxers and a tank top, her body lightly shook and Nick took a blanket off another chair. He wrapped the fleece material around her shoulders and sat next to her, gently pulled her to him and she lay her head on his chest. The two sat in silence for a couple of minutes and Nick kissed the top of her head. "Did you go to sleep at all?" He whispered.

Brooke shook her head no and wrapped her arms around Nick's body. "Nick I-," her voice broke and she felt her heart come to her throat.

"What baby?" He gave her a gentle squeeze.

"I'm ready to go to bed," she looked up to him and gave him a soft smile. Nick knew that wasn't what she was going to say but didn't push. He nodded his head and stood up. Brooke followed and put her arm around Nick's waist and the two walked back to Nick's room.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Later that morning Brooke woke up to the smell of eggs and turkey sausage.

"Good morning," Nick called out putting a plate of food in front of Brooke. She let out a small yawn and smiled back at Nick.

"Aww Nick, thank you."

"I tried to let you sleep in as long as possible but it's already one pm."
"Well, I'll call you at three and let you know if I'll make it.
"Seriously?"

"Yeah, looks like you finally slept and you needed it." Brooke nodded her head and picked up the fork and took a bite of the eggs.

"I have to head out for a meeting for a couple of hours. You have physical therapy today at four, I can try to be back to take you."

"I can take myself today," she told Nick.

"Well, I'll give you a call around 3 and let you know for sure. But eat up and shower," Nick kissed her cheek and stepped back watching her for a moment.

"Nick you can leave me, I'm not three."

"I know but just with everything-"

"I'm fine." She cut him off and managed to pull a smile.

"Alright babe, call if you need anything and I will call you around three."

"Bye, have fun."

"Oh yeah, real fun," Nick said sarcastically and left the room. When Brooke knew Nick was almost out of he house, she set her plate of food on the nightstand and pulled the sheets away from her. She didn't have an appetite these days and it weren't for Nick she didn't think she could get out of bed each day. Picking out an outfit of what she would wear she went into the bathroom and started the shower. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her usual tan skin was pale, dark circles overpowered her eyes and her cheek bones were sharp.

Brooke stripped off her clothes and unstrapped the black boot she still had to wear on her ankle at all times. Holding onto the wall she limped to the walk in shower and welcomed the hot steam. The already hot water wasn't hot enough and she turned the cold water all the way off and scrubbed her body with the now scalding hot water. She couldn't seem to get warm and by the time she finished showering, the hot water ran out and was turning cold. She took this as a cue as her time was up.

She carefully stepped out onto the bath mat and took the towel off the bar. She wrapped it around her fragile body and made her way to the bedroom. Hearing her cell phone ring she attempted to move quicker and managed to stub her foot on the full length mirror and she fell to her knees.

"God dammit!" She swore to herself and the tears began to flow. It didn't take much to set her off and that made her more frustrated because she never used to show her emotions. Standing up, she hopped on one foot to her phone next to the bed and picked it up. Hitting the call button it showed she missed it was Reanne. She hadn't really talked to her best friend since before the attack and felt bad for shutting her out. She was the one there when had been through it all before. And Brooke made it through the previous attacks and was strong; so why now. Why was this any different? Was it because she was now with someone, she had someone to lean on?

Sighing, she hit the send button again and it called Reanne.

"Hey B! I didn't think you'd call back!" Reanne told her.

"Hi, yeah I'm sorry I've been distant lately." Brooke bit her lower lip and closed her eyes.

"It's alright but I must say I don't really get it."

"And honestly, I don't myself. Reanne, I have no idea what's going on with me."

"Do you want to meet for lunch?"

"Um, actually I just had a late breakfast and I have to go to physical therapy at four but how about drinks tonight?"

"Yeah, it's been forever since we've done that. Do you want to meet somewhere or I'll come get you?"

"How about you come to Nick's around eight and we'll figure out driving and stuff then go to Mex?"

"Mmm margaritas, okay sounds great. I'll call you when I'm on my way!"

"Okay," Brooke smiled genuinely for the first time in a while.

"Later girl!"

"Later," Brooke hung up the phone and began to get ready for the day.
~*~*~*~
Brooke was doing laundry when Nick called her.

"Hey babe," Nick said when Brooke answered.

"Hey you," she smiled. "How is the meeting going?"

"Actually done and am on my way home, so I can take you."

"Oh," she remained quiet.

"Or I don't have to?" Nick questioned.

"No, that's fine if you want. I just really don't want you to worry about me."

"Well, maybe I just want to be with you." Nick said seductively.

"Is that so Mr. Carter?"

"Mmmhmm, what are you wearing over there?"

"Nick!"

"What?!"

"Well, considering I'm going to PT soon, I'm wearing shorts and a tank top."

"The little black ones that make your ass look amazing?"

"Maybe," she smiled folding a towel.

"And are you wearing that pink tank top that fits your body in all the right places?"

"Nick?" She asked and then felt a pair of hands go on her waist. She probably would've jumped if she didn't smell Nick's cologne first. She let the phone drop when felt Nick's lips kiss her neck. Letting out a low moan she turned around and met Nick's eyes.

"Hi," he whispered and and kissed her lips.

"Hi," she whispered back and kissed him harder. She missed this, it had been a while since they last made love or any sort of passionate kissing.

"Four?" Nick asked in between kisses.

"Uh huh," Brooke tilted her head back.

"That gives us about forty minutes?" He picked her up and put her on top of the dryer still kissing her lips.

"Hmm hmm," she leaned in and kissed his neck. Nick played with the bottom of her tank top for a minute before slowly pulling it over her head. He then kissed her collar bone and her breasts before unstrapping her bra. Brooke began to unbutton Nick's shirt and slowly and kissed down his chest. Once she got to the last button she pulled the shirt off his shoulders and he pulled her body to his. He then picked her up, she wrapped her legs around his waist and he carried her to the spare bedroom and lay her on the bed.

Nick slipped off her black panties and kissed her hip bone, taking note that she was a lot skinnier than the last time they made love. He kissed her stomach and Brooke pulled Nick's face up to hers.

"Nick, I'm so sorry for the last few weeks."

"Shh," he put his finger up to her lips and kissed her hard. Brooke's finger fumbled to unbutton Nick's jeans and unzipped them while Nick pulled them off. Nick pulled his boxers off with his jeans and slowly entered himself into Brooke.
~*~*~*~~*~
"So, A.J wants to join us for drinks, so I thought if you bring Nick, then we can kinda drop them somewhere and have girl time?" Reanne told Brooke over the phone.

"No that sounds fine. I'll let Nick know, I am just pulling in from therapy now."

"Oh, he didn't go with you?"

"No, he worries about me too much and I told him he needed to do some things around the house."

"You two act like you're married already," Reanne laughed. "Alright Alex and I will be over around seven-thirty."

"Later," Brooke hung up the phone and turned off her ignition. She smiled when she saw Nick come out the door. She opened up her door and stepped out one one foot.

"Hey baby, how was therapy?"

"Good, but I'm pretty sore," she told him putting her purse over her shoulder.

"Where is your brace? You're supposed to have it on all the time."

"I kept braking when I hit the gas," she shrugged her shoulder and reached in and took out the black boot.

"I knew I should have drove," Nick told her and picked her up.

"Driving didn't bother it actually."

"Let's get some ice on it." Brooke nodded her head and took her hand into his. "So I just got off the phone with Jay and we're going out?"

"Uh yeah that okay?"

"It will be fun, we haven't gone out in a while." The two went into the kitchen and Brooke sat down on a chair and put her foot up onto another.

"What did you do while I was gone beside miss me?" She grinned.

"I sat here and cried thinking of you," Nick joked taking out an ice pack. "And did the bills and finished up the laundry you started." He put the ice pack on her foot and rubbed her leg. "So how much longer do you have to wear it?"

"Another month," she sighed. "But I think I'm going to go back to work next week."

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about that."

"About what?" Brooke raised an eye brow and Nick took a seat next to her.

"We want to start preparing for the tour."

"You picked a date?" She asked with a smile.

"We want to start touring in September."

"That's only two months away."

"I know. But it's going to be a small tour, we're going to do U.S. first since we always seem to do the Euro thing first."

"That's great babe but what does that have to do with me working? I'm going to need to be busy with you leaving me." Her smile dropped.

"How about you come on tour with?"

"Nick I can't."

"You can if you want. You can be our on tour nurse and even get paid for it." Brooke raised an eye brow.

"I'll have to think about it."

"Okay, let me know soon. I mean if you want to keep your job here I totally understand and support you. I'll only be gone for six months at a time."

"Six months?! I am coming!"

"I thought you might after I said that," Nick grinned.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9147