*SNAP* by alota_cookin
Summary: My response to the August Challenge, I received, from Rose.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie, Kevin
Genres: Science Fiction
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 2610 Read: 2683 Published: 08/18/08 Updated: 08/18/08

1. The Challenge by alota_cookin

2. *SNAP* by alota_cookin

The Challenge by alota_cookin
This is my challenge from....ROSE!


Your challenge is to write a sci-fi story. Other worlds MUST be involved. The story MUST be about Howie and Kevin. No Nick, No AJ, No Brian. The story must take place in the very distant future. Nothing during the 2000's.

The story must be in 3rd person. Omniscent 3rd person POV.

No real people other than Howie and Kevin are allowed to be involved.

The story must include some kind of alien named Bob.

The story must be at least 2000 words.

This can not be a dream.

Have fun!

This is purely for the fact I love sci-fi and want more of them lol.
*SNAP* by alota_cookin
“Why can’t we find it?” Kevin huffed, leaning back in his chair. “HOWARD!”

“What now? Are you having another meltdown?” Howie walked onto the starship’s bridge, carrying a small tanish, brown pet alien.

“HEY! I have every right to be upset. We promised the Julillycons that we would find them a Nijntje! Here we are, on Hacktooy…the fifteenth planet to the left of the Honey star system and I’m not finding any damn Nijntje!” Kevin shouted, in one breath. He slammed his fist, on the arms of his chair and furrowed his eyebrows.

“First of all, lower your voice, Mellz is sleeping,” Howie looked down at the scaly, lizard like alien that slept, peacefully, in his arms. “Secondly, why did you promise a Hacktooyian Nijntje to the Julillycons, in the first place, if you weren’t certain that you could even find one?” Howie questioned, slouching over the navigational control panel.

“Maybe we should travel back to the Roseplican galaxy and talk to Bob about this,” Kevin sighed heavily, looking back at Howie. Kevin shifted in his seat. They had traveled many light years, in search of this Nijntje, so they could make peace with the Julillycons.

“Could you give the Julillycons a Whatchizoot? I mean, they are so similar, would the Julillycons even know the difference?” Howie asked, laying down his sleeping pet.

“Don’t underestimate the Julilliycons! They are one of the more fiercer aliens. Sure, they might not be all that bright but they sure can maim a guy! After all, they did destroy Earth, remember?” Kevin rubbed his throbbing temples. “I’ll never understand, Howie. Why were we chosen, for this?”

“I’m not really sure why, Kevin. I do know that eternal life isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, though.” Howie sighed. “I’ll bring us about so that we can head back and talk to Bob. Although he scares me a tad bit,” Howie’s face became puzzled as he redirected their course, of travel. Punching a long sequence of buttons, Howie entered the coordinates of their new destination.

“Bob is a unique character, that’s for sure,” Kevin nodded, as he stood. “But he has helped us out of a few sticky situations.”

“Unique? He’s the grossest looking thing I’ve ever seen! He has like ten arms and shoots green ooze from his nose, every time he talks! It’s disgusting! Don’t even get me started on the hair!”

“I guess, I can’t argue with you, there,” Kevin chuckled. “I think I’m going to take a quick nap. We won’t be with in communicating range of Bob for a several hours. Make sure the Sakabellogians are working on the repairs, from last night’s run in, with the Rebelliousors.”

“Eye, eye!” Howie saluted, in a mocking manner, watching Kevin leave the bridge. After double-checking their navigational settings, he left the bridge in care of Shlacktu, the Nicksgalian who was the head of engineering.

Kevin stretched out, on his hard metal bed. “Mmmm, this is just what I needed!” Laying his head on the plastic pillow, he pulled the large paper blankets over himself. His thoughts ran wild but were stopped short when he fell asleep, only a few minutes later.

While Kevin slept, Howie made his way to the 12th and top deck, of the starship vessel. “Okay, let’s see here.” Howie looked around, observing his shipmates. Each one seemed to be steadily working on the ship’s damages.

“Howie…Howie…the OnkeyAbu is not calibrated correctly, sir.” Howie turned his attention to the young alien. “It is causing interference with the power on decks 8, 9, and 10.”

“Alright, let’s go take a peek,” Howie smiled. A few minutes later, he was hunched over the OnkeyAbu, fiddling with its power intake. “Well, the calibration seems fine, but it looks like we’ll need a new outer shell for the power intake. This one is severely damaged. That is probably what’s causing the power flux.”

“But…aren’t those prohibited in this region of space?”

“Yes, but we have suppliers for this sort of thing,” Howie smiled, a little annoyed. “Leave this stuff to me and I will take care of it. For now, just head back to Deck 12 and work on those repairs.”

“Yes, sir,” the small voice responded. Howie made his way back to the bridge and took a seat. His fingers raped, loudly, on the arm rest, as he stared out into the space that lie ahead. Suddenly, the ship shook violently and jerked to the right. Darkness filled the bridge, before emergency lighting kicked on.

“We’ve been hit by a cloaked vessel. They are requesting our information,” a young trainee, Sweet Eighteen-Two-Zero-Zero-Eight, informed.

“Open a line of communication, Two-Zero,” Howie instructed, sitting up straight, in his seat. He was taken by surprise at the ghastly sight, which appeared on the communication screen.

“You have…entered…the…Starbeamz territory…leave us!” The robotic voice instructed, in a harsh tone.

“My name is Howard Dorough. I am co-captain of this vessel. We must pass through your space, but promise to make it as brief as possible.” The sight, of the bright orange blob, sent shivers down Howie’s entire being. He blinked, rapidly, trying not to focus on the stretched flaps of skin that hung from the creature’s ears, cheeks and lips.

“I am MARE!” The creatures arms flapped, as its voice reached a pitch that could, surely, shatter glass. “I am MARE!!!” Bobbing its head from side to side, the creature persisted, “I am MAAAAAAAARE! You must LEAVE! I am MARE!”

“Right……okay…” Howie put his hands up, in that air. His face portrayed shock, disgust, and uneasiness. Turning towards the door, he saw Kevin walking in.

“What is going on, in here?” Kevin sat next to his co-captain and stared at the screen, with raised eyebrow.

“I am MARE!”

“Yeah…we get that,” Howie blinked, with annoyance.

“Hi MARE! I am KEVIN!” He bobbed his head around and flapped his arms, imitating the Starbeamz creature.

“LEAVE!”

“See…here’s the thing. We can’t.” Kevin smirked. The creature leaned forward, looking up and down at Kevin.

“You may STAY! BeCAUSE you are HOT! I am MARE! I am MARE!” The creature stood, wiggling around and making horrid screeching noises. The, stretched, flaps of skin stood out, on end. The creatures color turned from its original bright orange to a deep purple. “BSB save my LIFE…I am MARE!”

“Oh my god…I think that’s like a mating call, dude,” Howie looked from the screen, over to his friend who was smiling widely. “Oh now that’s sick, Kevin! You aren’t seriously…oh for the love of every KentuckyChick!”

“Um…you hold down the ship. I better teleport over there…you know, to make sure we are all on peaceful terms.” Kevin stood and made his was to the teleportation room.

“You have got to be shitting me!” Howie scoffed, in disbelief.

“GOTCHYA!” Kevin cackled, coming back onto the bridge. “Honestly, after my run in with that Sinara, back on the Iranian Planetoid, do you really think I would have…relations…with another orange alien? Now see, the green ones are okay but the orange ones…you gotta look out for them. Even the blue ones are tolerable. Orange ones get to clingy, afterwards, like they expect you to call them, or something.”

“Right…okay…anyways…” Howie shook his head, to clear the image from his mind. “So we need a new outer shell for the power intake of the OnkeyAbu.”

“Bob overcharged us, last time. I heard that the StarryEyes Vessel of the Holtelon Species could be useful, in the event of needing to make a descent trade.” Kevin leaned back, in his chair, and turned his head toward Howie.

“But, they are hard to track down, aren’t they? What if we run into a TantillisinTriangle? We can’t veer off course because the ship couldn’t withstand a run in with the Tants, right now.” Rubbing his neck, Howie let out a long breath.

It took them, almost, three days, to reach the Roseplican galaxy. Once in communication range, they reached Bob. After explaining their desperate situation, Bob allowed them to touch down on the surface of his home planet KellMous. It had been a turbulent landing, as the atmosphere was heavily polluted with radiation waves.

“Come with me,” a small, two foot high alien greeted. “Follow me and I will take you to Bob.” Howie and Kevin stepped off their vessel, surprisingly, able to breath. The mini alien rambled; as it led them to the person they wished to see.

“Please…sit,” Bob greeted, after the men entered the rock structure. “Care for a rousing game of LenniLuv, before we get down to business? Surely, you don’t expect to make a deal and run…now do you?” Howie stepped aside, to avoid the putrid green ooze that flew from the alien’s mouth.

“No, of course, not!” Kevin acted as if he were shocked at the suggestion. Although, they wanted to get this over with as fast as possible.

“Then sit,” Bob smiled. “I deal a five and a ten, you hand a six and a four. Hold the three and the two, shall we bet on the fifteen?”

“No. I bet the thirteen and raise the seven and nine,” Howie countered. Kevin looked at his friend, in shock. He was utterly lost. “Kevin…you should hold the one and eleven but pass the eight and the twelve. He’ll bet the twenty,” Howie had spoken, for Kevin, to Bob.

“I see you know the rules of the game…impressive. I see your seven, Mr. Dorough, but I raise the nine. Care for a wager on the nineteen, before I hold the thirty?” Cards and dice passed over and flew onto the table. Howie and Bob became engrossed in the game, soon forgetting that Kevin was even there.

“Oh no, there’s no fifty in the eight stakes, Bob. You can’t trick me that easily. That means you owe me my three, your twenty, and the tables eight.”

“Aha! You are too good,” Bob spat loudly, laughing hysterically. Bob threw down his cards and his dice. “I think you have been a worthy opponent. Shall we move on to business?”

“Yeah…let’s…” Kevin sighed, happy that the game had come to an end. He was anxious to get what they needed and move on.

“I hear you are in need of a Nijntje, to appease the Julillycons. Those are not easy to come by, my friend. I can’t just pass one to you.”

“We’re prepared to negotiate a trade,” Kevin reasoned, hoping to gain some ground, with the creature.

“I don’t know that you have anything worthwhile, enough, for me to make that, sort of, trade.” Bob’s head tilted, as his mouth spewed ooze.

“How about a high stakes game?” Howie offered, raising a brow.

“A game, huh?” Bob smiled, “What kind of game?”

“Rock, Paper, Scissors.” Howie raised an eyebrow, with a smirk coming to his lips.

“Hmmm. An Earth game, no?”

“Yes.”

“I do not believe I am familiar.”

“Rock smashes scissors. Scissors cut paper. Paper covers rock.” Howie explained, making the motions with his hands.

“I see.” Bob nodded. Within a few minutes, Howie and Kevin were trudging back to their vessel.

“How…in the hell…did you…beat Bob…with ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS?!?!?!” Kevin shouted, as they hauled the Nijntje to the ship.

“It’s too simplistic of a game, Kevin. You saw how we played LenniLuv…it’s extremely complicated, centered on logic, strategy, and mathematics. Rock, Paper, Scissors is too easy for him to grasp. He automatically thought there was some kind of sequence or pattern…a logical explanation for each move.”

“Well,” Kevin sighed. “I guess that’s a new oxymoron…stupidity outsmarting someone.”

“Shall we store this in the trunk, until we get back to Julillycon territory?” Howie questioned, as they reached their vessel.

“WAIT!” the small alien, that had led them to Bob, approached them. “I am FrickFracksgirl. I must warn you that Bob is mad that he lost and has informed the Tants, of your location and destination.”

“Nice.” Howie huffed.

“Let’s just get out of here,” Kevin ordered. They finished loading the heavy object and boarded their vessel. “There’s been a change of plans.”

“A what? What are you talking about, Kev?” Howie looked at his distressed friend.

“I read a database about an object that will help us, in a way I never thought possible.” Kevin and Howie walked onto the bridge. Immediately, Kevin set to work, on the navigational controls. The vessel left the surface and headed in the opposite direction, than originally planned.

“Are we bypassing this galaxy? Is there a black hole or something? Talk to me Kevin.”

“Not until we reach it,” Kevin shook his head, before engaging their InterGalacticStarSkipperRetroActionShifter Drive (I.G.S.S.R.A.S.D.). Within a half hour, they were in orbit of a far distant planet. “It should be here. Let’s go.”

What should be here?” Howie questioned, as Kevin pulled him off the ship. Running, as fast as they could, Kevin directed him to a large cave.

“Come on, we can’t waste time.” Carefully entering the cave, they descended into its depths. After five minutes of rushed, yet careful, walking, their eyes fell upon a wonder. A bright blue Crystal rock stood in the very depths of the cave. The massive rock glowed with an essence of power and energy. Both men stared into it, almost frozen, in their places.

“It’s amazing! What is it Kevin?”

“It’s…” Kevin drew in a deep breath, neither of them tearing their gaze from the immense rock. “It’s the 75th Rok of Ages.”

“Why…”

“We’re going to touch it. When we do…one of two things will happen,” Kevin swallowed the lump, in his throat and grabbed his friend’s hand. “Either, time will shift, sending us back to before Earth was destroyed or…we will die.”

“We want time to shift.”

“Right. Then none of this will ever happen. We won’t have eternal life…Earth won’t be destroyed…we’ll never see, let alone set a foot on, that starship vessel…we’ll never battle any aliens…we’ll have our lives back...we will have the chance to change things and live life how we were supposed to live it.”

“Let’s do it! It’s, definitely, better than battling aliens forever.” Both men held hands and their breath, as they walked towards the rock, at a deathly slow pace. They reached their, unclasped, hands out toward the rock. Looking at each other, they let their fingertips softly graze the rock’s surface.

*SNAP*
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9204