Sick as My Secrets by KevinsChickadee
Summary: "She's done with him, but he's not ready to let her go."

Marie was in a wonderful relationship with Nick. They laughed together and cried together. But what happens when he becomes too obsessive...and scary?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 10427 Read: 11639 Published: 11/17/08 Updated: 12/08/08

1. Part One by KevinsChickadee

2. Part Two by KevinsChickadee

3. Part Three by KevinsChickadee

4. Part Four by KevinsChickadee

5. Part Five by KevinsChickadee

6. Part Six by KevinsChickadee

7. Part Seven by KevinsChickadee

8. Part Eight by KevinsChickadee

Part One by KevinsChickadee
Author's Notes:
I'm currently working on this story as we speak. I've had a small bout with Writer's Block, and it's over now. Let me know how you like this story so far. :D
There she is...standing in her vast bathtub, taking a shower. How I love to watch her smooth the towel against her milky white skin; how she glides it over her lathered pussy. It drives me manic. I wish I was there with her in that very tub, devouring her in a way she'd never expect. This woman: there's something I really love about her. Too bad that we had a premature fall out. You see, she got mad at me for coming into her house unannounced, waiting for her to come home. I couldn't call her, because she blocked my number.

What was I to do? I wanted to see her again; I wanted to hear her voice again, and to have her say my name while wer13;see? I can't even concentrate, for I'm so hard after watching her...I quietly and easily open the bathroom window from the outside.I take in the wonderful aroma of strawberry soap, and her lovely sex. I lick my lips and continue to watch her in awe and in secret. She doesn't know I'm there, and there's also something else that she doesn't know: I still have her key. Before we broke up (and I REALLY wish that hadn't happened) I made a copy of her key without her knowing anything about that.

She steps out of her shower and heads into her room and I watch her dry her hair. Right at this moment, all I wanted to do was clasp onto her dark golden locks and make her beg for mercy. She tells me that I'm phenomenal in the sack, and more than ever, I know that she misses it. She claims that she doesn't; saying that I now give her the creeps. I think she's in denial, don't you think? I know I do.

I come back down to reality after visualizing my lover in her bathroom. You know what? I think I should start this story, right? I think that's a grand idea.

3 years ago.

We find Marie Johnson sitting at a bar, drinking away her sorrows. You see, her boyfriend Laurence decided to call it quits and moved out of her complex. Little did she know, he dumped her, so he can be with his secretary. “Unbelieveable,” she said with her lips to the glass full of gin.

“He left me...for fake breasts...isn't THAT the story of my life?” she takes the long, heavy swig, and gasped for it was a bit too strong. “Not gonna do that again, huh?” the bartender asks. “Who asked you?” “Hey, I'm just concerned. Plus, you asked for the stiffest drink in the cupboard.” She sighed heavily and sunk her head onto the glass table. “What did I do wrong?” she said all muffled by her long sleeved blouse. “I mean, I thought he was it for me. I guess I was wrong. I'm through with men.” the bartender, later known as Eric, held his chest and faked a shocked gasp. “So, my gift to you for a Chippendale's show is out, huh?” he said. “Now, I didn't say that. I say a lot of things that I don't mean, but what I just said, I mean it. I'm done with men.” “So, are you gonna lez out?” She looked up at him, biting her lower lip. “No. I'm just gonna take a little break from the dating world. I mean, let's face it: there's nothing out there for me anymore.”

I walked into the club to clear my head; a double shot of whiskey should do the trick. With my hands in my pockets and a wallet full of money to spend, I sit at a table, and ask for what I need. “You won't go overboard this time, will you?” the female bartender asks me. “Nah, not this time. I have to head back without scratches.” I flash her a smile before she left to retrieve my drink. I look over to my right and see that the bar wasn't as packed as it used to be. Must be losing its customers due to the new bar that opened two weeks ago. It's called “Driving Ms. Agro. It didn't take long for me to catch onto the 'pseudonym'.

I look to my right and I see three people sitting near me; a drunken old man, a drunken old woman...and her. My future ex girlfriend of my dreams. For a few moments, I stare at her, taking in her voluptuous beauty; this caused her to look over at me for a few seconds then turn back to her beverage. I get up from my seat, and walk over to her with my drink in hand. “Excuse me, is this seat taken?” I say to her almost slyly. She really caught my eye, and for the life of me, I can't stop staring at her. “It's a free country, isn't it?” she says while settling her head back upon her arms.

I sit next to her, and smile half shyly and half interested. “Why so glum, sweetheart? You got laid off?” She sets her drunken head up and turns over at me. “No. Can't you see a woman that's just been dumped?” Dumped? “Whatever for? Did he cheat?” “Bingo. For his 'busty' secretary. He moved out, and left me with nothing to live for. So here I am, drinking my sorrows away, waiting for my life to end.” “You really loved him, didn't you?” “What do you think?” “Well, for starters, you're willing to end your life for someone who hung you high and dry.

I'm just saying that it's not worth it.” I look down at my half empty glass, and shake my head. “He doesn't know what he's missed.” She looks over at me again; confusion brushed over her face. “What?” “I mean, look at you...” I stand up, and walk around her a little. “You're beautiful, and from what I can tell, you have a kind heart and it's chockful of love.”

She rolled her eyes at me, “Yeah, if you say so.” “It's true. I may not know you that well, but I can just tell from the person's words their personality and what's really going on inside of them. Don't you agree?” She settles her fist against her drying face. “Yeah, I guess so.” “You guess so?” She looks away from me once more. “You may be able to tell of someone's personality, but you're also hard of hearing. I might as well not trust anyone ever again.” “You can trust me...” I said unbeknownst to myself.

“What did you just say?” I get out of my stool again and stand in front of her. “I said, you can trust me. I mean, I've never dumped anyone for something better. Hell, it's been 5 years since I've been on a date.” She scoffed at me a little bit and says, “Then, I'm sure you had your fair share of fuck dates, right?” “No.” “No?” I giggle slightly.

“See, now you're the one that's hard of hearing.” I sit next to her again smiling. For the first time that night, she smiled at me. There were no cracks on my sex life, no pokes at my dating life; all smiles. “Listen,” she began. “I'm sorry for acting like such a bitch. It's just that it hasn't really been my week. I'm sure you've had a bad day 6 days in a row before, right?” No. “Yes, I have, unfortunately. They're no fun.” She extended her hand to me with the smile still plastered on her face. “I'm Marie.” “Nick.”

The time was 2am; Nick finally drove Marie home. She was a bit hesitant at first; taking an offer from someone she hardly knew and didn't trust, but she thought what the hell. They sat in the car for a little while, not saying a word; finally, Nick broke the silence. “So, still buzzed?” she looked over at him and stuck her tongue out. “No, I'm not, but thanks for your humble concern...” as she opened the car door, she stood up and fell onto the cold concrete; an indistinct 'ow' slipped out of her drunken mouth.

Nick quickly shifted to the other side of the car and looked down at her, groaning. “Are you alright?” “........I'm ok....” he got out of the car and helped her up. “You didn't have to do that...” she mumbled while holding onto his shirt. “I had to; you fell on your ass. I didn't want to leave you there. What would people think?” She brushes her pants and blouse off, and looked up at him. “Trust me, people have seen me piss drunk before, it's no big thing.” he nodded, and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

“Um, if you don't mind, I'd like to see you again. How about we catch a movie or somethin' sometime?” She looks up at him again after picking up her purse. “Listen, Nick, you're a nice guy and everything. I mean, you took me home, you got me here safely, and I thank you for that. But--”

“I'm only asking you to see a show, not a lecture.” “I'm not ready to date right now, how's that?” “Ahh...I see. I understand, Marie.” ”I hope you do. But in case I change my mind...” she takes out a pen and a small sheet of paper and proceeds to writing her phone number down. “Here's my number. I'm available almost 24/7.” “Almost?” “I babysit my sister's kid every other weekend. But other then that, I'm free.” Nick's lips curved into a smile as she handed him her digits.

He looked down as their hands barely touched but juste enough for him to blush a little. “Thanks...” “Well, I'll be seeing ya'.” she turned around and stumbled to the direction of her stoop. He stepped back into his car, and starts up the engine. Before driving off, he looks at her walking up the front steps, admiring each step she took. “Be still, my heart, for I think I'm in love,” he thought to himself. He turned back to the road and sped off into the night.
Part Two by KevinsChickadee
“So, what's he like, Marie? Tell me...” Marie's best friends Diahanne and Catherine came over to her abode in search of the latest gossip. It had been three weeks since her encounter with Nick, and they finally started dating . . .

“Hello?”
“Is this Nick?”
“Yes, this is he. Hello, Marie.”
“Hi.”
“What's up?”
“Well, I just wanted to call and see how you were doing, that's all.”
“I'm doing fine, Marie. How are you doing?”
“Great. Listen, Nick, I've decided to take up your previous offer.”
“You don't say...?”
“Yes, I do. The only thing I've been doing for the past two weeks was babysit, watch 'Sex and the City', and eat ice cream.”
“Hmm...sounds like fun.”
“Ha ha, very funny. So, does the offer still stand or what?”
“Oh, it still stands, Mar. Can I call you Mar?”
“Do I look like an M&M? Marie.”
“Fiery....I like that,” he thought.
“I'm sorry...MARIE. The offer still stands.”
“That's good.”
“Yes, indeed it is. How about I pick you up tonight at 7:00?”
“It's a date.”
“And it's my destiny,” he thought once more.
“Then, it's set. See you later.”


“So, he's on his way here? Tonight?” “Yes, Diahanne, and to tell you the truth, I didn't expect you guys to be here.” “You invited us,” stated Catherine. “I did? Oh, boy I'm losing it...” “No, you're not,” began Diahanne. “You can't wait to meet this guy again. Tell me, when you saw him, did you want to commit desperate passior13;” “Screw that! Did you wanna fuck him the moment you saw him?” “Jesus, no! He was a sweet and kind guy that just happened to take me home. Sex is not my only proriety like it is for you, Kitty.” “No, it isn't,” she said. “It's just that I'm looking for the right guy . . . that's good in bed.”

Diahanne and Marie laugh to near hysterics at her statement. As they came down from their laughing high, Diahanne asked her, “What about that guy that runs the local club?” “The Dorough guy? Ha! He won't even look at me, let alone screw me. I could care less about him.” “Riiiight...”

Marie said while rolling her eyes. “I'm serious! He won't even look at me. I think he has the hots for you, Marie.” “Me? No way...I don't attract money.” “Think about it, M, he's ALWAYS nice to you, he ALWAYS give you free drinks. Can't you take a hint?” “He's a gentleman; they're always nice and generous.” “Until they snap back your thong panties, get you all drenched, and BAM! Dumped Chick City.”

Diahanne was always the well thought out one in the group. Any little experience she went through, good or bad, she would use as a moral to her girlfriends. From getting stood up, to getting date raped, she was always the Priestess of Morality. I still love her like a sister, though. She's always there for me, as well as Catherine. She tries to keep that girl in the straight and arrow, for she has a sex drive like you won't believe.

But because of that, none of her relationships lasted. She's always known as a 'whore' or a 'slut' in the outside world, but to me, I deem her a 'confidant'. I look over at the clock and see that it's almost 7; I look over at my friends and smile.

“Well, I guess we'll be heading out,” said Catherine, getting up. “No no, I want you two to meet him. Stay a little longer?” They both sat down, and played the waiting game. The doorbell rings, and all three of them looked over at the door. “Well, there he is...” Marie said while walking towards the door, and to her prediction, there he was, standing in front of her. “Why, hello there, Marie...” Nick said with his infamous grin.

Diahanne and Catherine look at one another, and giggle like schoolchildren. Nick looked up at them and said, “And who might you two be?” “These are my girlfriends, Diahanne Harding and Catherine Alvarez. They've been waiting to meet you. Plus, I told him everything I know about you.” “Good things, I hope...?” he asked with a cocked eyebrow. She nodded, and walked over to him. “It's nice to meet you all, but we really must be going; it was nice meeting you.” As they said their farewells, Nick led Marie to the front door, and walked out to his Navigator.

“A Navigator? Are you a thief?” “Can't a man succumb to great taste?” She held up her hands in surrender. “Of course he can. I'm just saying it's a little much. How could you afford it?” “Let's just say, I have a great paying job.” She smiled warmly at him, and got in the front seat with Nick entering after her. As she sat back he started up the car, and drove off down the moonlit road.

“What's your favorite genre of music?” he asked me. “Adult contemporary...but anything by Sting.” I see him go into the glove compartment and take out a blank disc, pop it in, and turned it on. I hear the first verse of “Desert Rose”, my alltime favorite song. “This is my--” “Favorite song? It's one of my personal favorites as well.” I look him over in shock as well as wonder.
How did he know that it was my favorite song? I never even mentioned it to him.

Oh, well, lucky guess, I assume.

As we cruised down a carless road, he turned the volume up and looked over at me. I felt his eyes on me, so I look at him as acknowledgement. The features of his face were dynamic: heart shaped lips, decadent blue green eyes, and a soft spoken smile which made his beauty complete. It looked even more radiant in the moonlight as it did in normal light; I could stare at him forever if I could.

What the hell just happened? Am I falling for him? No way. I told myself that I'm done with relationships. A pretty face is not going to change my mind...

In the moment of me thinking, he reaches over and touches my hand. He smoothed the back of it with his extended thumb. “What are you thinking about, Marie?” I look into his eyes (though I don't know WHAT made me do so) and smile feignly. “Oh, nothing in particular, Nick.” He lightly nodded, and turned his attention back to the road. “It's beautiful out here at night, wouldn't you agree?” “yeah...” I say absentmindedly while looking at him again.

Even though I've only known him for such a short time, I feel as though I knew him before. He's calm, caring, funny and smart; and above all else, intuitive. If I do say so myself, I think he's a keeper.
Part Three by KevinsChickadee
Author's Notes:
Didn't bother to check this chapter for any boo boo's. Sorry for the confusion: it's Howie that's fallen for Marie, not Kevin. Now, the names have been switched. :)
“Guys? I think I'm in love.” It's been a month since Marie and I have been dating, and I've got to say, it's been the best month ever. Everytime I think of her, or see her, I would do backflips. She makes me so happy, ya know? Nothing has ever gotten me so overjoyed. I'm sitting with my friends at Tabu, takin' back a few drinks. “So, is she 'the one'?” my friend Alex asked with is leopard print shades tilted down. “She could be. When I'm with her, I've never felt so alive...” “I couldn't be more happy for you, Nicky,” Howard said, quickly turning back down to his flat Bloody Mary and nibbling at the now wilted celery stick. “D, you've been sipping that thing for an hour now. What's up?” “It's nothing, Nick, alright? I just have a lot on my mind with my real estate business.” Little did he know that his company, “The Dorough Group” is the highest real estate agency in the nation at the moment. Must be chick problems. He's been saying that he wants to settle down, but he claims to 'never have time for a relationship.' “Aww, come on, D...you've been mopey for weeks. What's on your mind?”

Howie's point of view:

Should I really tell them? Should I tell them that the reason why I'm so 'mopey' is because Nick is dating the one person I could ever care about? The one person who I wanted to be my girlfriend? It makes me sick when I see those two together, nuzzling their noses together, and giving each other sweet light kisses. I wonder if they're having sex yet? That's none of my business. If she was a virgin, I hope he was gentle with her, or I would have to hurt him. If only Nick really knew what he has in the palm of his hands. She's not like the women that he normally dates; she has a mind of her own, and head on her shoulders, and rare beauty. I really hope that she won't be a future victim of being kicked to the curb, I really hope not. She's not worth it.

Everytime I would try and ask her out, I'd freeze and change the subject and say like, “How about those Vikings?” What a wuss I am. I'm the type of wuss that doesn't mind expressing his feelings and thoughts about someone or something. Someone that listens to Bach and drink herbal tea in his Italian furnished apartment every now and then. The type of wuss that would call his mother everyday and check up on her whether she's sick or not. Now, if I'm one, then you can call me the King of Wusses, I don't care.

I just really wish I had the chance to ask her out, and not him. Because, truthfully? I don't trust him. I have a sixth sense when it comes to trusting someone, and there's something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's his snake like grin? Maybe it's the way he talks like a suave, zoot suit wearing skirtchaser? Maybe it's his soul. Yes, that could be it, but I could be totally wrong. Even if I say that I'm 'wrong', that gut feeling tickles me. I just hope that he won't try anything funny with her, and if he does, he'll be so sorry.

“Dorough! Say something!” Thrown out of my trance, I nearly jump out of my seat and knock over my lukewarm drink. Not quickly noticing the mess I made, I got up with my briefcase in hand, and walk out of my club. “What's with him?” Brian asked while scratching his head. “I don't know...but I've never seen him this tense before...”

I get into my car and roll the windows up. Fishing through my pocket for my BlackBerry, I call Marie's number. “Please, pick up,” I say to myself.

“Hello?”
“Hey, Marie, how are you?”
“I'm fine, and you?”
“I'm alright. Say, um...are you free next Thursday?”
“I have to check my schedule. What's up?”
“There's an art gala from Paris coming to town for a week, and I've been wanting to go, but I have to have a guest. I was wondering if you're free on Thursday?”
“Let's see...”

I hear the ruffling of pages in the background, then her voice.

“Yeah, I'm free Thursday. When can I expect you?”
“I can come pick you up at 8. Does that sound good?”
“Most definitely. I'll give you my address, and everything will be set, ok?”
“Perfect.”
As I got her address, we said our goodbyes and hung up. I finally had the guts to ask her out, even if it is for a friendly gathering. I turn the car on and drive towards home.


“Diahanne, I'm going out! Take care of my house for me!” “You got it!” she shouted from the den. This is my usual jogging time, and I wanted to get it in before winter hits. Before I head out the door, my phone vibrates. To my surprise, it was Nick. Probably calling to check up on me.

“Hey, baby.”
“Hey, Nick. What's going on?”
“I was just callin', wondering if you felt like going out tonight.”
“ Tonight?” I look over at the counter and see that it was the 19th, the day of me and Howie's little get together.
“I'm sorry, baby, I can't go out tonight.”
“Why not?”
“I'm going out with Howie this evening. He wanted to check out this art gala that's in town tonight.”
“You're dating Kevin? As in Howard Dorough Howard?
“Yes....is that a problem?”
“Reschedule. It's just colorful pictures that don't mean anything.”
“I can't reschedule; he'll be here in a few hours to pick me up.”
“Excuse me?”
“I said, I can't reschedule. Did you hear me that ti--”
“I don't want you dating him. He's nothing but trouble.”
“So, you're telling me what to do now? What is wrong with--”
“Don't defy me, Marie! If you go out with that boy, you WILL be sorry. Got it?”

And he hung up.

What the FUCK was his problem? Everything started out fine 2 months ago, and now, he's hollering at me. I don't know what the deal is...

And it's scaring me, to say the least.

“He did what?” Howie asks me, shocked from head to toe. “He basically ordered me to call off the date with you. He had this...this horrid boom in his voice; something that I've never heard before, ya know?” He shook his head. “I never heard it before, either. It's odd. I wonder what brought it on?” “He was probably drunk. Who knows?” “True. Let's not talk about anything bad at this moment. Let's just enjoy this meal.” “Yeah. McDonald's has such a joie de vivre.” he looked over at me and laughed. “I'm sorry about that; I didn't have my other wallet with me, so I guess this is what we have to settle for tonight.” “I didn't mean it in a bad way, it's really awfully nice of you. Thank you.” he flashed a warm smile at my direction, and I intercepted with a smile of my own.

The date was a complete success. We parked in front of her house, and we looked at each other for quite sometime. “Well...” “Well...” I bit my lower lip and continue to look over at her. She's pretty as well as smart, and I can only wish that she was mine. If she was my girlfriend for a day, that would make me the strongest man on the planet.

“I'd better get going, I have to get up early in the morning.” “Right.” I say to her before asking her this. “May I see you to the door?” “Sure, why not?” she said with a loving smile etched on her face. We both get out the car and slowly walk towards the steps. As we finally make it to the front door, we stand in front of one another. “Well, I'll talk to you later?” “You betcha. Are you still able to be at the party tomorrow?” “Yes, I will, D. See you then.” she turned her heel (or gymshoe for that matter) and walked into her house.

That woman is sometihng special to me, and I can't get her out of my mind to save my life. I don't want to cause an accident, so I save the daydreaming for later, and pull out of her driveway and head home.

I close the door, and smile to myself. “He sure is nice...and handsome,” I say to myself as I set my purse down on the table, and walk into the den to watch a few late night cinemas.

“Hello.”

There he was, staring at me with his eyes; a cold shade of blue. “You're late.” “What the hell are you doing in my house, Nick? I never gave you a key...” “How I got here doesn't matter. I told you not to go out with him, and you didn't listen to me. Why?” “Gee, I didn't realize I had to get your damn approval. I'm an adult, you know. I can do whatever the hell I want.” “Are you cheating on me?” I look at him and cross my arms, confused. “What did you just say?” He walked up to me; he was so close to my face, I backed up against the door.

“I said, are you cheating on me? And tell me the truth...” “So, you're accusing me of infidelity? Because I went out with Kevin? What is with you, Carter?” “You've been goin' out with him for weeks, from what Alex told me...” “We only went out ONCE! Don't believe everything you hear.” “Marie, you're my girlfriend. I don't want any other man around you...I couldn't bear to see you give your love to someone else.” “Nick, you're losing it...and you're not losing me. And we've only been together for a month and a half, and you're acting as if we've been together since the dawn of time. I think we should slow down.”

What she told me drove a stake through my heart. I didn't want to 'slow down' Why does she want to? I know I'm good enough for her...I know deep down that she loves me. So, why is she steering clear of us having a relationship?

“Marie, I don't want to slow down.” “Well, I do. I need time to think if another relationship is right for me.” “I thought I was right for you?” I look over at him with my eyebrow risen in wonder. “Nick, in the months we've been dating, did I say 'I love you'?” “No, you didn't...but I know I do.” “What?” He held my hand and thumbed the back of it with his thumb. Our eyes met again; though I didn't feel love, but uncertainty. Is he the one for me? “I love you, Marie Johnson...” My lips quivered as he said those three words. He loves me: but does he mean it? “Are...are you serious?” “Yes. But I have to know: do you feel the same way?” I look down at the carpeted floor, the ceiling fan, and the kitchen door before I gave him my answer.

After half a minute of pondering, I turn to him and say, “I...I still have to think about this, Nick. I'm sorry.” He slowly let my hands go, and looked down, spewing out a low distinct 'oh, ok...' I step away from him and walk towards the front door, opening it. “Goodnight,” I say to him, somewhat in a sad tone, for I disappointed him. But I quickly realized that it's not about him at all: it's how I feel about 'us'. Do I want this? That's the real question here . . . no. The real question is: do I want HIM? Boy, another test for me. Great. “I guess...I'll see you around?” I nod, and weakly smile as I watch him head for the exit. He took his time walking down the steps and approaching his vehicle; I close the door behind me.

I thumb at the bracelet he bought me a few weeks ago. He calls it a promise bracelet, which is very thoughtful, but at the same time, he's rushing into things at the moment. I mean, surely I care for him, but I'm still not sure about the loving part. I would hate to have my heart broken yet again...
Part Four by KevinsChickadee
I lie in a cot out on the porch, thinking about her. She doesn't want to be with me, I can tell. Why couldn't she just tell me the truth already, huh? Instead of beating around the bush? The bracelet I gave her was a token of my esteem, as well as my love for her, but what's the point in calling it a 'promise bracelet', when she wouldn't even say, “I love you”?

Flashback

“Happy birthday, Marie...” Nick took out a little red box with a pink bow setting on top of it. With a huge grin, he lightly pushes it towards her awaiting eyes.

“Gee, Nick...what is it?” she opens it up, and a gold/diamond bracelet is staring back at her. She let out a small sigh which became lodged in her throat. “N...Nick...I don't know what to say...” “Just say: 'thank you'.” Marie sat the gift down and slowly looked up at him, her lip locked in between her teeth. “Thank you, Nickolas.”

He leaned in, waiting for another popular phrase that loved ones say to each other everyday.

Silence.

“Do you even like the gift?” he asked her while taking the bracelet out, ready to latch it onto her wrist. “Oh, I do, I really do...but we've been only going out for a little while, and I think it's just a little fast. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful gift...but---”

“Say nothing more.” He tugs at her wrist and wraps the golden trinket around it, clasping it on. “it suits you,” he says in a whisper. She feigned a warm smile at him and looked down at it once more. “Let's just call it, a 'promise bracelet.'” Her head shot up at his response. Was he listening to what she said at all? She had hoped that what she said would catch onto him, but at the end, he didn't follow through. “A promis--”

“You know...in case something else will spark.” “I see.” Nick looked at his watch, and curses under his breath. “Damn, I gotta go. Kevin's meeting me at the studio to lay down some tracks.” I nod, still shocked at what he said previously. “It's like he's the ringleader in this so-called relationship. I can't even think for myself, let alone TALK.”

She watched Nick get into his truck and drive off. Marie is left alone at the cafe, pondering.

Maybe I am going a bit too fast, but it's only because I don't want to lose her. She means everything to me, and no woman has ever had that effect on me. I really didn't think being in love with a woman wasn't all that important, but now, thanks to her, I see the light. I look over at my cell phone. I want to call her so badly, but I just left her house.

'Maybe I should call her to see if she's alright,' I thought. 'I mean, she could be thinking of me too, right?' quick, fast and in a hurry, I grab onto my cell, and call her. I get her answering service. I sit there a while and listen to her voice. So soothing...so natural...so...I can't describe it with any other word. After hanging up, I got up and walked out to my car. I wanted to see her again. Earlier wasn't enough. I start her up, and I race down to her place again.

Marie is in her room, in a deep sleep. To receive no calls while she slept, she switched her phone off, and placed it on the nightstand. As she slept, her thoughts did not drift towards Nick, but to Kevin. She smiles as he appears in front of her in a dream like state; she clenches onto her soft pillow and giggles lightly. Little did she know that while she dreams of Kevin, the Hunk, she's being watched from her big window with a wide view of the New York suburbs.

On the second floor ledge stood Nick, watching her in her nightly relaxed state. “Oh, Marie...” he whispers. His face was pressed against the tempered glass and he watches her intently with awe. Some people would think of this as stalking, but not to him. In his mind, he wants to see his 'girlfriend' sleeping alone at 1am. To him, it's perfectly normal. Where he got the information that it IS normal, is beyond anyone's knowledge. He sees that the latch on the window was unlocked, but he steered clear in opening it, for fear of frightening her.

Marie stirred in her sleep sitting up, mumbling. “Mmm...” her eyes squinted open and she turned to her window. She yelped after seeing Nick's figure still settled upon the tempered glass. “What the hell...??” he sees her expression, and runs off the ledge, landing safely on the ground. Marie couldn't believe it. Nick was at her ledge just staring at her...but why?

“Why were you up there staring at me?” I finally had the guts to ask him; this time, over lunch at Burger King. “What are you talking about?” “Last week, you were at my window, staring at me while I slept, and I want to know why you did that.”

Nick leaned over to me, and smiled slyly. He reached out and held my hands. “Because I wanted to see you, Marie. I was planning on calling you, but then I thought 'Why call her, when you can see her?' So, in a Romeo/Juliet kind of way, I went up to the balcony and saw you sleeping. It was a wonderful sight.”

While he finished his long ass statement, I broke my hands away, and folded them. “Nick, you scared the hell out of me that night. Don't ever do that again, got it?” Nick's eyes widened, a bit bewildered at what I told him. “You're mad?” Is he for real? “I'm not mad, I'm just—I just don't like to be watched while I sleep. It gives me the creeps...”

Nick nods in understanding and smiles again while sipping his shake. I look him over again: still hot, but at the same time, there's something about Nick Carter that I don't trust. I got up, grabbed my purse, and started to walk out the door. “Where are you going?” asked an instantly worried Nick. “Home.” “Let me drive you back, and--” “No. I'm a big girl, I can take myself home...”

Marie finally left the restaurant and headed home. Little did she know that Nick had other plans. He wanted to see her; all of her. So, instead of staying at the restaurant finishing his Whopper, he decided to follow her home.

She looked up at the sky and noticed that the sun was beginning to prematurely set. “Strange,” she said to herself while walking down the street impregnated with pedestrians. She was almost home, but she stopped dead in her tracks in front of a metallic statue. She thought she saw Nick by rearview. She turned around, and was met with nothing. “Great, now my mind's playing tricks on me. I don't need this. A hot bath and a video would do me some good.” With that thought coursing through her brain, she kicked up her heels and walked the rest of the way home.
Part Five by KevinsChickadee
Marie is finally inside her home. The sun had set at last, but there's still a lingering tinge of golden orange still settling upon the horizon. Her shoes, socks and jacket had all left her body and, with a contented sigh, walks towards the steps. The phone rings; something she wasn't expecting. “great...” she says to no one in particular as she answers it on the second ring.

“Hello?”
“Marie? Hey, it's Howie.”
“Howie! Hey! How are you?”

She sets herself upon her recliner entangling her fingers around the coiled phone cord. She loved talking to Howie; to her, he was the only person she could actually find solace in. Outside Catherine and Diahanne, Howie's close to a best friend as possible.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?” she began with a smile.
“Well, I just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out with me tomorrow evening?”
“Of course. I'd love to.”

Love: the one word Howie wanted to hear her say to him, even if it was an agreement for another date. He sat back a little as the word bounced and resonated in his mind.

“Are you still there?”
“Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm here, Marie. How about Chez Francois, around 7-ish?”
“7 is fine.”
“That's wonderful. I'll see you then, alright?”
“You got it, D.”

Nick was standing by her window watching her talk to Howie. He heard every word of the conversation, and he became infuriated. She told him NOT to date him, but she didn't listen.

“How could she...?”

Ever so quietly, he eased himself away from the window, and towards the back entrance. It was there that he finds the door unlocked. “No need for a lock pick,” he whispers while carefully opening the door, easing in. Marie hangs the phone up, and gets up heading for the kitchen.

Neverminding the bath, she decided to get a little snack instead. She goes into the fridge to retrieve sandwich makings. While closing the door, she jumps 40 feet in the air; Nick was standing there, not in a cheerful mood.

“Nick...what in the--”

He slowly walked up to her, his hands folded behind his back.

“I...asked you...so many times, to NOT go out with him...didn't I?”
“What are you doing her--”
“That's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! I TOLD you not to date Howie, and you didn't listen...you didn't LISTEN!”

Marie stepped away from him until she was against the counter. She held on for dear life as he approached her again.

“Tsk tsk tsk...what do I have to do with you? Huh?”
“Ge....get out,” she let the words slither out of her mouth; the tone was mixed with fear as well as anger.

“What did you say to me?”
“I SAID GET OUT! You don't own me, OR have the right to tell me what I can or cannot do! I was a fool to get involved with you!”

As she was about to open the back door for him to leave, she quickly notices her butcher knife behind his back.

“Oh, no...” She whispered, but it was too late.

She was about to dart out of the kitchen, but he grabbed her hair, yanking her towards him. Her back was to his chest, her head on his shoulder, and the sharp blade lightly touching her neck. Trapped.

“Now, I am going to tell you this...ONE LAST TIME. Stay...away...from Howard Dorough.”

Tears were streaming from her eyes and down her cold, frightened cheeks.

Struggling to speak, she managed to say, “Wh...why...?”

“Because, he's a whore...a womanizer, if you will. You're lucky he didn't try to force you when you first dated him. I tried catching him in the act, but I couldn't. Now, he wants you. I WON'T have it happen to me again!”

“Th...then talk to HIM...why are you doing this?”

“To teach you a lesson, my love. Don't cross me.”

He pushes her away from him causing her to fall to the ground.

He drops the knife in front of her and steps away from her frigid body. He finally walked to the backdoor and turned back to her with a smile.

“Remember what I said, now.”

And after a kiss blown to her, he leaves.

All that was left in that kitchen, was a crying, damaged woman, who is now trapped in his twisted, disturbed web.
Part Six by KevinsChickadee
Author's Notes:
This story is almost complete! (pats self on back) I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you in reading this story (and all of my other stories.)
Nick had isolated her from everyone she loved: her family, her girlfriends, and even Howie. She wanted to break free from him, but how? One night, she tried sneaking out of his apartment through the bathroom window. She got at least one foot out the window, but was quickly caught by Nick's watchful eye.

“What are you doing?” he asks her in a calming voice. “I...I was just getting some exercise in, that's all. Window crunches are the best...type of exercise.”

“I see. At 2 am?” “Yes.” Nick nodded in understanding, then walked over to her. “You know what? You're such a bad liar, Marie.” “I'm not lying...” he grabbed her arm, and pulled her body towards him. “You can't get away from me, Marie, you know that...” His eyes changed once again to a stone cold blue as he gazed upon her scared expression. “Are you scared? You shouldn't be.”

He lets her go and steps away from her.
“Get back in the bed. You just pissed me off...”
“Nick, please...I won't do it again...I promise...”
“That's what you said last night. Now, GO.”

With her hands folded in front of her, and her head dangling down to the floor, she scuffles away towards his master bedroom.

“And Marie?”
She turned around, still frightened of him.
“ye—yes?”
“Don't disobey me again. Do you understand me?”
She stayed silent. He approached her, and gripped her hair, yanking it towards his chest.
“I said... do you understand me...?”
In a whimper, she says, “Yes....please...don't hurt me...”
He lets her go, and nudges her to the direction of his room.
“That's a good girl...”

As if nothing was going on, Marie and Nick were walking down the side street, heading to a buffet. You can tell from the look on her face that she did NOT want to be a part of this any longer. Her last boyfriend didn't even try this, or go this far. She was happy that he didn't. She couldn't believe that he was doing this, simply because Howie's her best friend, and that she likes hanging out with him more than Nick.

“he's jealous...” she thought. “He thinks that Howard was planning on whisking me away to a faraway island some damn where. And frankly, I wish he did.”

The two “lovebirds” walked past a cafe, just a few blocks north of the buffet. Howie and a few of his partners were sitting by window seats, chatting it up. He stopped talking when he glimpsed Marie looking unhappy. “Excuse me for a moment...” he said while getting up, walking out the door. He called out to her.

No answer.

“Marie! Marie!!”

“Don't...answer him,” Nick whispers to her, and she obeys. They kept walking down the sidewalk, until they turned the corner, clearly out of Howie's view.

“What was THAT all about?” he thought; he tried to think nothing of it,but he couldn't escape the fact that something was not right.

“Um, listen, I'm gonna head home, ok? I forgot I'm expecting company.”

“Company, huh...? What are her measurements?”

“It's not like that, Perry, alright? Now, the meeting has to be put on hold until a later date, ok?”

They nod in affirmation, and I leave the cafe.

Nick walked back into my kitchen, and stood in front of me.

“Why are you treating me like this? Huh?” “Don't talk. Just listen.”

He leaned down in front of me, and said, “Have you memorized everything I told you? Huh?”

I stay silent.

"Silent, huh...?" he charges up to me, and yanks my hair backward. “I said, DID YOU?” “Yes, I did...please, don't hurt me...”

“Oh, trust me, I won't hurt you. This time. All you have to do is be a good girl, and I won't lay a hand on you. Got it?”

As he lets my hair go, I look down, and nod in forced agreement.

This...maniac has completely sealed me away from family and friends. This is all because I was hanging out with Howie. He was NEVER like this when I was hanging with his other friends. It's not fair. And everytime I would try and escape, he would always catch me in the act. It's like, he knows my every move. I haven't been at my own apartment for days, because he's holding me captive; I'm his puppet, he says.

I see him come back into the room, and looks over at me with a fiendish smile. He tells me that he had to run a little errand, and that he'll return in an hour or so.

Perfect.

“Now, I don't want you to try anything stupid, so I locked the doors in the house.”

“Why in the hell would you do that?”

“Because a silly little bunny like yourself would try and sneak out the house, and hop away from me. I don't want you to do that. You don't want me to hunt you down, do you?”

“No.”

“Good girl...” he says to me in a deepened tone. To think that used to turn me on. Well, it didn't and it never will again.

He winks at me, and turns to the door, opening it and walking out. As the door slowly closed, it automatically locks. “Locking Sequence Complete,” I hear from a small distance. Once again, I was a prisoner in his apartment.

I get up, and run to the door, yanking and tugging at it. No such luck. It was locked TIGHT. I slide my body down to the floor, and start to cry, knowing that this was it. There was no escape.
Part Seven by KevinsChickadee
FLASHBACK

Howie stands in front of his window, looking up at the sky. “Where could she be...?” he asks himself. It's been over a month since he's heard from Marie. He missed her. He even called her girlfriends and her mom. The same response: they haven' t seen her, or it's not like her to just be 'missing'. He clasps his hand around the venetian blind cord, looking down at the pane of the window. “God, I hope you're watching over her. Please, let her be safe.” Howie had an idea; he decided to call Nick, since he's the last known person to see Marie. He quickly sits down and takes his cellphone out, speedialing his number.

“Hello?”

“Nick? It's Howie. How are you?”

“Swell. You.”

“Good. Listen, I was wondering if you've heard from Marie
lately? She's been MIA for weeks.”

“Oh, gee. No, I haven't. In fact, she hasn't called me in a long while.”

Howie sighs lightly, looking up at the ceiling. “Alright then. I wonder where she could be?”

“Maybe she's been busy with work?”

“Strange. Marie quit her job last September.” he thought. Was Nick fibbing?

“Oh, yeah. Work always consumes you, but it doesn't explain why she hasn't been home in over a month?”

“Maybe she just needs time to herself, Dorough. Why don't you leave her alone?”

“What? I'm only concerned for her welfare, as YOU should be. You sound so damn calm.”

“I AM concerned, alright? Now, what you need to do, is stop worrying about her, and let ME do that. Alright?”

“I refuse. Her family and friends are worried about her as well. Not just you; you're so Goddamn conceited, you know that?”

Nick scoffs, and continues to play it cool. “Whatever, D, ok? I gotta go.”

And he hung up.

“Damn him...” he says to himself. He looks up at the ceiling again, and holds his hands together.

“Marie...where are you?”

That very same night, Howie lies in bed, completely naked with his arms behind his head. His thoughts shot directly towards Marie, and where she could be in this world.

“Marie...if only I had the chance to tell you how I really felt about you...I love you...God, if only you could hear me...”

Minutes passed, and his eyes grew to be too heavy for him to hold up. The only thing he could do at this point was sleep, hoping and praying that his beloved will come home.

Marie managed to escape his surroundings. How, you ask? He forgot to lock the windows. She snuck out, and slid down a gutter, and landed onto the plush green grass.

Freedom.

She decided to run to Howie for help and comfort, so she darted down the empty street, her heart racing, her breathing completely erratic. His condo was about 8 miles away, but with her speed, she was able to make that long distance. “Thank God....I'm almost there...”

Howie's eyes sprung open. “Marie...” he thought to himself. He knew in an instant that something wasn't tight, he knew in his heart that Marie was in some kind of trouble from the moment he saw her with Nick that day. “Nick has been lying to me from the START...I have to get over there...”

As he grabbed his shoes and coat, he heard banging from the front door. He drops everything, and rushes to the door. “I haven't the time for visitors, and—Marie....?” She stood there with tears welling up in her eyes. Without her knowing, she enveloped him in a tight embrace, crying her eyes out.

“Marie, what happened to you?”

“It's...it's Nick...Howie, he's a maniac!”

He looked her over, and sees that she's been bruised and pale. Her physique even changed; her weight depleted.

“My God...what did he do to you?”

“He...he kept me in his house for months...making me do things I didn't want to do...hitting me when I did something wrong. I tried to call everyone, but he took my phone, and disconnected his house number...I tried sneaking out on numerous occasions, but he would ALWAYS catch me! I didn't know what else to do...So, I got out of there when I had the chance...”

Howie clung onto her, telling her that she's now safe with him.

“I should have known something was up...I'm so sorry, Mar--”

“Just....just hold me...please...”

He runs his fingers through her hair as she cries her eyes out. Her head was snuggled against his chest as she did so.

“Shh.....you no longer have to cry, sweetheart...I'm here. You're safe now...”

Nick was on his way back to his apartment, when his alarm in his phone goes off. “What the hell?” he took the phone out, and looked at the screen. “Escapee Located at 3460 Clearstone RD, APT # 652.” He parks the car in an abandoned alley, and turns the car off. “Well, what do ya know...?” he reaches into the glove compartment, and takes out a pistol. He holds it up, cocks it, and looks at the street sign which reads, “21st and Clearstone.”

“I'm long overdue for a good hunt.”
Part Eight by KevinsChickadee
Author's Notes:
This is the eighth and final chapter of this story. I want to thank you all who has made this my most read story on this site.
Marie and Howie were sitting down on his couch, not saying a word. The room was starkly quiet, until she broke the silence. “Cou..could I have some tea? Please?” Howie smiles at her, and gets up. “Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back.” he made his way to the kitchen, and started making her a sandwich first. He knew she must have been FAMISHED.

Putting it on a plate, he takes it to her. “I had a feeling you were hungry, so I made you a sandwich.” Marie looks up at him with a huge smile on her face. She takes the sandwich, and savors her first bite of real food in months. “Thank you so much, Howie...” she says inbetween bites. “this is sooo good...” he smiles and finds his seat next to her.

Within seconds, she demolishes the sandwich and sits the plate down. “Sorry about that...so unlady-like, I know...” “I don't care, Marie. What matters to me, is that you're no longer around that bastard. He lied to your family, telling them that he didn't know where you were. He even lied to me about your whereabouts, and said that only HE should worry about you.”

“I...I can't believe him...why would he do all that to me?”
“Because...” he takes her hand, and places it on his chest. “I care for you...so much.”
“You do?”
“More than anything, Marie...I know that you don't want to hear this now, because of your recent struggle, but--”
She places her little finger on his lips. “Tell me everything you feel about me, Howard...I need to hear it.”

His eyes glistened, for they were filled with hope and promise. Her eyes also had that familiar twinkle when he first met her.
“Marie, when I first met you, I thought, “She's almost too perfect...but I would never amount to her standards. When you talk to me, I'm happy; when you call me, I'm filled with glee, and when you stand close to me...I'm complete.”

Marie smiled at me, and hugs me tightly. “I thought I was the only one that felt that way...I don't know why I fell for that...that lunatic...” he runs his fingers through her hair again, and sighs solemnly. “I don't know either...there was something about him that I didn't like.” She looked up at me, her eyes filled with tears. “Why didn't you tell me about him in the first place?” “Sweetheart, if I knew he was mad, I would have told you long ago. I'm so sorry...I never saw his true colors.”

We stood at the balcony for a while, looking at each other. We share saddened gazes, and look down at the streets below. But the most important thing at the moment, is Marie's safety. No longer will she endure his torture again, and I will make sure of that.

Nick sits in his car, looking up at Howie's address on the white metal door. He looks to the right of him and sees the pistol ready and waiting to be used. “Well...” he picks up the gun, and looks at it once more. “Let the games begin.”

“You can stay the night here, Marie. I don't want him knowing where you are.”
“You're so very kind, Howard, thank you...”

We stood in front of each other, smiling, then looking at each other with love mirrored upon each gaze. I get closer to her, and hold her hands in mine; without knowing, I leaned in to kiss her on her dainty, plump lips. I want to kiss her pain away. I wanted to tell her everyday that she'll always be safe.

In a hushed tone, she utters, “What are you waiting for...?” I look down at her, and smile. “Are you sure?” “yes, Howie...I'm sure...please...take the pain away...”

“It would be my pleasure, my dear...”
I look into her eyes again, and lean in once more. Sparks began bouncing up and down my body as we shared a sweet kiss. Ever so slowly, I felt her tension lift up and wither away. We move apart and she looks at me and says, “thank you...” as if she were a little child. “You're so welcome...”

They held each other again, but it was shortlived, for they heard a noise from the halls. “What was that?” Howie asked in wonder as he moved back towards the hallway. “Stay there, Marie. I'll be right back....” she nodded and watched him disappear into the halls.

“Who's in here?” he shouted. Silence was the response thrown back at him, so he called out again. “I said, who's there?!”

“Hello, friend.”
“N...Nick?”

He emerges from the den and stood several feet away from him. “We meet again. I was wondering if you've seen Marie anywhere...? She, oh I don't know, escaped my abode. Any chance on her being here...?” he instantly eyeballs Marie standing on the balcony with her back turned. “There's the little bunny...” as he walks towards Howie, he stands against the doorway, blocking the entrance.

“I will not let you hurt her, Nickolas.”
“Is that so?” he roughly pushed him out of the way, causing him to land against his now broken vase. The sound of the impact caused Marie to sharply turn around. “Howie...? Are you ok?”

“Howie's a bit tied up at the moment...” “Oh, my God!”
“I don't think He can help you right now, Marie...you left when I told you to not try anything funny. Am I laughing, Mar? Huh?” She becomes silent.

“AM I LAUGHING?!” “No...”
“Exactly. Now, why don't you come to me, and we can talk this out?” he crooks his finger for her to come to him, but she stood her ground. He becomes angry once more. “I said, come here.” “No...no more, Nick...” “Then so be it...” he walks slowly over to her, taking out his pistol; her blood drained the instant she saw it glisten in the moonlight.

“What...what are you doing...?” she asked with cold fear in her voice. “What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna teach you a lesson, little girl. I TOLD you not to hang with Howie, didn't I? I guess holding you in my house wasn't good enough, huh?” “I HAD to get away from you! You're a fucking psychopath!”

“.....what did you say?”
“I said...you're insane.” he charges her, and grabs her hair yanking it back hard.

“Don't you EVER call me that! My friends and family call me that all the Goddamn time, I do NOT need it from someone who disobeys me! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!” she weakens in his tight grasp and her eyes well up in tears again; this time, fearful tears. “Yes...I understand...” he puts the gun up to her head, and smiles down at her.

“Why don't you ever listen to me, huh? Do you know what happens to bad girls...?” he looks down at the balcony, and slips his gun back into his jacket pocket. “That's not a bad idea...” “W...what is?” “We're so high up...it would be a shame for someone to lose their balance up here...”he looks down at her and tightens his grip on her hair more. “Wouldn't it?” “YOU WOULDN'T DARE!”

“I would.” She bites his hand, and he growls in pain. As she tried to run away from him, he grabs her leg letting her fall on her face. “Please, don't do this!” “It's too late now, Marie. Say goodbye.” he drags her back towards the balcony and picks her up, holding her over his head. He muted out her cries and screams; the only thing he wanted was to end her life, and try to find someone who will love him and appreciate his ways.

That's all he wanted. He wanted a little slave to obey his every command, and be at his every beck and call. He sweettalks them, and woos them, and within moments, they're a piece of clay in the palm of his hand. But since she's the type of woman that wanted no part of that, there's only one punishment suitable: death.

“This is the end. I loved you so much, Marie...but it's time to go.”

Footsteps trample the floor, and a rough push thanks to a bloody Howie's adrenaline causes Nick to let Marie go . . .

But caused them both to dangle over the ledge. She clung onto the railing for dear life as she tried so desperately to not look down. They were 10 stories up. “Howie, help me!” she shouted with anguish. “I'm coming!” he shouts back as he reaches for her hand. “Give me your hand, love!” weakly, she managed to grab his hand, and hold onto his arm with her other. “That's it...you're doing fine, sweetheart...” she's finally pulled up, and is safe on the ground. “Are you ok, Marie?” “Yes...!” she gasps in relief. “I thought I was a goner...” “Not when I'm here.”

“Howie, HELP ME!” he runs back towards the railing and sees Nick still dangling. “Please...spare me..” “Don't let me die, D...I'm sorry for everything I've done...Don't let me die!” “And what will you do then? Do the same things to other unsuspecting women? Just like you did Marie? I don't think so...”

Unbeknownst to the others, Nick was standing on a stone gargoyle, and little did Nick know, that the gargoyle was old and loose. “I can change, I promise...” “No...” the gargoyle begins to weaken and break away; he looked down and saw this, now looking scared for real.

“PLEASE! HELP ME UP!” Howie walked off to the side, and next to look down at Nick's hanging misery was Marie. “How does it feel, Carter? How does it feel to taste your own medicine?” He doesn't say a word. “It...it doesn't taste very good, I assure you. Now, please...help me...”

She looked into his pools of blue once again, seeing the solemnity etched in the gaze. Sorrow. Needing of forgiveness.

She closed her eyes, clutching onto the railings, slowly erasing every 'good' time they shared.
And then, a scream was heard...
And then, a crash.

She opened her eyes and looks over the ledge, seeing Nick, lifeless on top of an SUV.
“Goodbye.”

She walks up to Howie, and embraces him again, no longer afraid.
“Are you alright...?”
“I am now. Thank you...”

They both look down over the ledge, seeing a crowd gather around his body.

His reigning terror has now come to a grim end, and Marie has broken free from his shackles of control and insanity.

Forever.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9370