Unmistakable by ResaD
Summary: Howie is ready to marry his wife, or that's what he wants everyone to believe. But will his past with Theresa cause that will be wedding day to crumble?


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Other
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 15071 Read: 21089 Published: 02/16/09 Updated: 02/17/09

1. Chapter 1 by ResaD

2. Chapter 2 by ResaD

3. Chapter 3 by ResaD

4. Chapter 4 by ResaD

5. Chapter 5 by ResaD

6. Chapter 6 by ResaD

7. Chapter 7 by ResaD

8. Chapter 8 by ResaD

9. Chapter 9 by ResaD

10. Chapter 10 by ResaD

11. Chapter 11 by ResaD

12. Chapter 12 by ResaD

13. Chapter 13 by ResaD

14. Chapter 14 by ResaD

Chapter 1 by ResaD
Unmistakable
By Resa Dorough

CHAPTER 1
“Excuse me; may I have everyone’s attention?” Nine heads turned and stared at the blonde hair woman. “I have wonderful news.” Her eyes flashed down to the man sitting at her side who had more of a confused look, than one of disbelief as he started shaking his head. “Stop, its good news to be shared. Sides, don’t you think it’s time your friends know we’re engaged.” Brown eyes snapped to mine and I could feel my heart crashing. He had gotten engaged? To HER? To the biggest bitch around? WHY?
“D, man, are you serious? You and Leigh?” AJ asked not so much as to be nice or offer his congratulations but truly in question.
“It won’t last.” I turned my eyes to my best friend and offered up a smile.
“For years they’ve wanted us out of their click Megan, and you know damn good and well nothing will stop them.” She shrugged and placed her hand on my arm as a show of support.
“Yes, we’re engaged, isn’t that great?” A round of that’s great and congratulations got mumbled around the table while Leigh Anne went to embrace Leigh and to check out her ring. My eyes glanced back at Howie who wouldn’t dare look at me.
“Are you okay?” I glanced up and offered a smile to my step brother.
“Of course Age. It was coming, I knew it.” No, that was the biggest lie I had ever uttered. My heart belonged to one man and here I thought, there was a chance. Of course, I had told him my feelings one night, mind you, we might have been a little drunk and I’m sure he didn’t believe me, but none the less I told him and he told me he was with Leigh, so to speak. They have had an off again, on again relationship for the last seven years and it was a horrible sight to see.
“You didn’t know it. Wanna got outside?” I glanced around but nodded my head. No one would miss me anyway. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and lead me outside.

“Is she okay?” Blue eyes glanced up and smiled.
“Park it D.” He pulled the seat out next to her and sat down. “Why did you let her say something?”
“I had no clue she was. This was supposed to be us celebrating the success of this album, not this.”
“She’s hurt you know.”
“I know, because I didn’t tell her first.”
“No, jackass, because you’re engaged. Leigh is the worst woman for you. How can you marry her?”
“We’ve been together for so long and we had rough patches, but than again, so does everyone else…”
“D, you’re a great guy and deserve someone just as great. She’s not it.”
“Since day one, you haven’t liked her.”
“With just cause. I don’t hate anyone to strictly hate them.”
“I don’t want Theresa mad, Megan.” Megan crossed her arms over her chest and shrugged her shoulders.
“That’s not my call. You really hurt her and if I was her, I would stay mad for a very long time.” He sighed and ran his fingers through his short hair.

“Did you know?”
“Of course not. If I had Theresa, you know I would have said something. In fact, the last I heard, was he was thinking of dumping her. That he was tired of this kind of relationship.”
“You know, he always said he didn’t want to be married if he was touring still. Said it would be too hard.” AJ nodded his head. “I just don’t understand why.”
“Babygirl, that is not for me to explain. No one, expect Leigh Anne really likes her. In fact, Kristian is just okay with her.”
“I don’t know why he thinks that being married is gonna be better than just being in a relationship.” I shook my head but couldn’t stop the tears from coming. For over eight years, yes, I knew him that long, I couldn’t stop loving him. But I was nothing more than a friend. I had to watch as he wasted his love on females who never deserved it. I covered my face as AJ wrapped his arms around me.
“Come, you’re gonna ruin your make up.”
“I’m not going back in there.”
“You have too. Leigh knows you won’t say anything. Be the bigger person and offer her congrats.” I pulled my hands away and glared at him.
“I can’t, when that should be me!”
“But it’s not, you have to accept that. Right now, just be the friend we know he’s gonna need. He won’t get married; he’ll come to his senses.” I took a deep breath and nodded my head.
“Give me a moment to compose myself.” He gave me a peck on the cheek and walked back inside. I stared at the moon and watched as a shooting star streaked across the sky. I closed my eyes and briefly made a wish. One more deep breath and I was heading inside, on my way to confront the devil and show I was a better person. I walked to the table and all eyes turned to me. I smiled and walked over to Leigh. She stepped back and pasted on a smile. “I come in peace and to offer a congratulations. D is a great guy and he deserves a great woman.” I gave her a hug and turned to Howie. “Congratulations. I’m sure everything will work out in it’s due course.” I gave him a hug and on kiss on his cheek. As we pulled away, his eyes were searching mine. But he would find no lie there. I had told the truth. I had said that things would work out, and they would. Either he would see her for the liar she was or he would marry and be very unhappy. Either way, it would work out. I turned my attention back to the table and smiled one more. “Now, if everyone will excuse me, I’m very tired and not feeling so well, so I’m thinking I’m heading back to my house.”
“Need a ride?” I glanced over at Nick.
“Megan, are you staying?”
“Is that okay?”
“That’s fine. Yes Nick, I need a ride. Thanks.” He bid his goodbyes and walked me out to the car.
“You’re such a liar.”
“I’m not!” He shook his head.
Chapter 2 by ResaD
CHAPTER 2
“Hello?” I asked, rather breathless.
“Damn. That so does not sound good. Who were you screwing?”
“None of your business D. What can I do for you?”
“I was wondering if I could come over and talk.” I glanced around my messy apartment.
“That would be a no.”
“Why?”
“I have tons of cleaning to do since I just got home. And my breakfast is about to burn.”
“That’s why you need a cordless.”
“That’s why I need you to stop calling me.”
“Fine, won’t call. I’ll be there shortly.” I rolled my eyes as he hung up the phone. I ran back into the kitchen in just enough time to save my meal, which, now had no appeal to me. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Damn it all to hell, who the hell did he think he was? The love of my life, my mind answered.
“Well screw that,” I muttered out lout. I glanced once more at the eggs, really not wanting to eat. I threw them away and headed into the living room as the doorbell rang. I opened it and saw him standing there. “That was fast.”
“I was in the area.”
“Hmm, funny thing, I thought I said no.”
“Please, you could never say no the D man.” With that he stepped inside, placing a quick peck on my cheek. Oh, how I longed for more. He glanced around the place than back at me, finally taking in my attire. “You were planning on cleaning in your pj’s?” I glanced down than at him and smiled.
“Always. I leave my windows open too so everyone can see me. Have a seat. Want anything to drink?” He grabbed my hand before I headed into the kitchen.
“No, I want you to sit down next to me and talk.” I rolled my eyes as he pulled me over to the couch and forced me to sit down next to him. “Now, I want to discuss me…”
“I don’t! There is nothing to discuss D! Just drop the subject and let it be, for crying out loud!”
“What has got you so worked up about it?”
“Oh, I don’t know, let me count the reasons. Damn, who would always come crying to me that there was another fight? Who wanted to strangle her neck when he found out she was cheating? Who wanted to kill her when she used him? That’s only a couple of questions and the answer is all the same. You did D! You hated her most of the time! So, now, everything is just perfect enough for you to ask her to marry you!”
“Well, no, not quite like that.”
“Than please explain this bull shit to me because I’m really not getting it.”
“It’s not for you to get. It’s not your life.”
“You’re so damn right on that. It’s not my life. The sad part is, you don’t know the answer to it cause you don’t know either. But that’s fine. Just remember, you don’t believe in divorce!”
“I love her!” I crossed my arms over my chest.
“Right, and I’m the tooth fairy! Don’t lie to me, of all people, don’t lie to me! I was there since the start of all this crap!”
“And this is will it where end! I don’t need friends like you in my life. If you can’t be happy for me, than I don’t want you to be there.”
“That’s the best thing I’ve heard you say. And fine, I won’t. I won’t be in your life either. You can count our friendship over!” He stormed out of my house, slamming the door as he left. I laid down on the couch, covered my face and let the tears roll out.

“Are you not going than?”
“Is Leigh and D gonna be there?”
“Sadly yes.”
“Than there is your answer. Remember, he was the one who told me he didn’t want me in his life.”
“It’s my flippin party! Ignore him if it makes you happy. Sides, that was over a week ago. Please come?” I leaned against the wall and rubbed my free hand over my face.
“Fine, fine, I’ll be there in a little bit.”
“You’re the greatest. Love ya chica.” With that, she hung up the phone. I rolled my eyes and dragged my ass upstairs changing into something…a smirk crossed my lips. I knew Howie liked me, or at least, a little bit. And I knew he hated when I looked even a tad sexy. This time, it was an all out war! I walked over to my closet, picked out my leather skirt, my heels and my white, sheer tank top. Two can surely play that game.
Chapter 3 by ResaD
CHAPTER 3
An hour later, I pulled into Megan’s and AJ’s house, noticing all other cars were accounted for. ‘Great, Theresa gets to make a grand entrance,’ my mind hollered. I was stoked. I walked up the porch, smiled at some of Megan’s friends who waved, and entered.
“Excuse me, what the hell are you wearing?” I smiled over at Kevin and Brian.
“Clothes!”
“Those are not clothes. I’m not sure what they are, but clothes, they are not.”
“Damn Kevin, you should like my dad!” I gave them each a hug and went in search of my friends.
“Oh hell no, go change.” I turned around and threw my arms around my brother.
“Ease up. I’m covered, no major body spots showing.”
“Barely. Look, Megan is wearing more than that. And you guys are the same size, so please change.” I smiled and shook my head.
“Not on your life!” With that, I turned on my heel and marched out to the backyard. Howie was sitting with Nick and Megan at the table. He was saying something, but stopped short as he noticed me being there. Both Nick and Megan turned to see what he was staring at and I did all I could not to beam. Was he shocked? Hell yes. Was he happy? Hell no. Which, for me, was perfect. Megan jumped off the table and ran to give me a hug.
“What in the world are you doing?”
“Playing nice. I wanted to dress up, you told me I could.”
“I told you no such thing. But, hot damn, was it worth it to see his look. Girl, you know he wants you.” I shrugged, yet knowing she was right, or at least hoping she was right. “Shame on you for playing with his emotions.” I busted out laughing at that.
“Right, don’t blame me.” Nick walked over and scooped me up in his arms.
“If your heart didn’t belong to one of my best friends, I would so kiss you right now.” My eyes locked with his blue ones.
“Nick, put me down! You wouldn’t dare.”
“Are you daring me?” I shrugged and shrieked as he picked me back up and pressed his lips against mine.
“Stop it,” I said, laughing as I pulled away. He laughed too, setting me back down, but when I turned around to glance at the table, Howie was more than looking, he was glaring and anger oozed from him. I smiled at him, waved and turned to walk back into the house, but I was stopped. His hand grabbed my upper arm and I turned to look at him.
“We need to talk.”
“We did enough talking. If you excuse me, I need to go find my brother.”
“He can wait, we need to talk now.” I rose my eyebrow but he grabbed my hand and dragged, yes dragged, me into one of the guest bedrooms.
“Damn, I would say he’s pissed.”
“From the outfit or from the kiss, Nick.”
“It was just a joke, come on!” Megan rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen.

I sat down on the bed and crossed me legs, swinging it back and forth, waiting for him to speak his mind. I sighed, letting him know I was not happy. He ran his fingers through his hair and paced the room.
“Would you flippin’ stop and just tell me what’s going on?”
“Why did you kiss Nick?” I busted out laughing! Was he for real? That’s what had him so worked up?
“It was a joke Howie, nothing more.”
“But why?”
“What the hell has gotten into you? What does it matter? You have Leigh.”
“It matters because you’re a friend.”
“Correction, was a friend. Again, Nick and I always joke. That is not the first time he’s givin’ me a kiss in front of you.”
“I’m aware of that!”
“Than what has got you so pissed off?”
“I didn’t like it!” I shut my mouth and couldn’t breathe. What the hell was he talking about? He sat down and grabbed my hand. “I meant, I don’t like you two toying around like that.”
“And I’m totally failing to see the point here.”
“I just don’t want you getting close to him.” I rose my eyebrow.
“Are you telling me to stay away from him?”
“Well, not quite…not in so many words, I mean…”
“Woah, just shut it while you’re ahead. D, I’m allowed to kiss, touch, flirt or date whomever I want. You have no damn say in the matter. Just because you’re a friend, we’re a friend, or whatever, does not give you the right to run my life.”
“I know Nick…”
“It’s not Nick, it’s any guy. You don’t want me to be with anyone. Why?”
“There’s no reason!”
“That’s such bull shit. There is a reason, but you’re not ‘fession up to it. What the hell is up?”
“I don’t want any man to have what I can’t have!” I opened my mouth to say something but quickly shut it again. What the hell did he just say? There was no way he felt that way. It just couldn’t be, not now, not when he had put a ring on her finger. I stood up and walked over to the door.
“Howie, you had a chance but you didn’t want to take it. But because you have regrets of who you’re with or what you lost, don’t make me pay for it. Actually, I won’t let you make me pay for it. You had eyes and ears just like everyone else.” With that, I walked out the door, closing it behind me. I sighed and watched Megan come into view. “I have to go chica, I can’t stay here.”
“I heard. Go, I’ll call you later?” I nodded my head, gave her a hug and headed out to my car.
Chapter 4 by ResaD
CHAPTER 4
Four hours later, I rolled my eyes as I heard someone pounding on my door. I wiped my eyes, trying to clean off the mascara and dried up tears. I got up off the couch and walked over to the door, surprised to find Nick standing there.
“May I come in?” I stepped aside and opened the door wider, ushering him in. He smiled and walked over to the couch and plopped down.
“Can I get you something to drink?”
“Nah, but come sit down next to me. I want to talk to you.” I sat down on the couch and curled my legs underneath me.
“What’s on your mind little man?” He smiled.
“You. I’m…well, there’s no easy way to put it.”
“Nick, just say what’s on your mind.”
“Do you still love him?” I took a deep breath and glanced around my living room. How the hell do you answer that?
“Yes, I still do. Isn’t that sad?”
“No, it’s great. I wish I could have a girl love me like that. Or rather love me forever. I just hop I would not be so blind to see it like he is.”
“You do. You have millions of adoring fans!”
“You’re not funny. Really Resa, it’s sad that he tossed your loved aside. Doesn’t he see?”
“He did, once. A long time ago…”
“But what?” I shrugged, not knowing how to go on. Yes, once upon a time there was a chance for D and I. But then, we were a little drunk. I closed my eyes, so scared to think of that time. It was great, it truly was, although, the after affect wasn’t. “Theresa, don’t shut me out.”
“I’m not Nick. I just don’t want to think back to that time. It really hurts and it’s left better in the past.” I wiped the tear that was falling and shook my head. “Since I found out, all I have done is cry. How sad is that, huh?”
“It’s not, that’s what I’m trying to tell you. But, I would keep wasting my times on someone who doesn’t love me back.” I snorted at that. “What?”
“No one knows the shit I went through for that man, not even him. No one understands why I love him.”
“What are you talking about?” I got up off the couch and walked over to the wall. I scanned over the pictures, seeing so many smiling faces of my friends and family. “Theresa, talk to me.” I felt his hands on my waist and turned into his embrace. I wrapped my arms around his waist as his arms closed over my shoulders, holding me tight against his chest. We stayed like that, he was the strength I needed and I was about to break a vow I took over two years ago.
“A night, two plus years ago, there was a party, you remember, shortly after you turned 24. A huge bash, and do you remember the huge fight that Leigh and Howie got into?” At his nod, I went on. “Well, I may have had a little too much to drink, but so did he. Anyways, that’s not the point. We stayed up together, late into the night and well, we, I mean, ya know. Anyway, that night, all my feelings came tumbling out. I told him I had loved him for so long, but after he got what he wanted, all he could me was that he loved Leigh and that’s the only woman he could see himself with. Even after that huge fight and all the fights before and most certainly all the fights after. But, do you remember that shortly after that, I had left for a couple of months?”
“Yeah. Age said you went to visit your mother or something like that.”
“I did, but I had to. I was pregnant.”
“Excuse me?” I had to grin at him.
“I was pregnant. Go figure huh?”
“What happened to the baby?” I could feel the tears start coming and I sighed as he started massaging my back. “Just talk it out.”
“I had a miscarriage, four moths in. It was a girl.”
“Theresa, did you deal with this on your own?”
“Had to. My mom knew, but when I had the miscarriage, I left her house. She thought I was still pregnant and that I was coming back to confront the father. I never told her who it was. Age didn’t even know and Heaven forbid, D didn’t know.”
“Even if it was a mistake, that never should have been something you had to deal with by yourself. Why?” I pulled out of his embrace and sat down on the edge of the couch.
“Oh, couldn’t you just see me telling everyone? Howie would have flipped and probably claimed it wasn’t his. That he loved Leigh and would never have cheated on her. Age would have killed him for using and abusing me. That would have been the end of a friendship that has been around for far too long.” He knelled down in front of me and cupped my face.
“Listen to me, you’re a very dear friend, and so are the guys. But Age would have done the right think and I don’t think any of use would have said he was wrong. Howie should have been there for you.”
“Nick, just let it go. Please. I’m fine now, really/”
“Oh, I can see that. You’re still crying over it. And the fact that you haven’t told anyone is even more proof.” I rolled my eyes but still couldn’t stop tears. “I’m sorry. Please, stop crying. It’s breaking my heart seeing you this way.” I sniffed and tired to smile. He smiled and briefly placed his lips against me, causing me to grin. “There, but I can do better.” His lips captured mine, causing a small moan to escape my lips. His hands traveled from my face to my hands, holding them within his. He pulled away and gazed into my eyes. “That was not supposed to happen.”
“I can imagine. But ya know, I don’t mind. In fact, I kinda liked it. Would it be wrong of me to ask for another one?” His blue eyes got darker.
“Theresa, I’m not sure I could kiss you one more time and walk away tonight. Please, don’t me that question.”
“I’m not asking you to leave, am I? I’m asking for another kiss. There would only be one reason why I’m asking.” He groaned and pulled me up off the edge and into his embrace, his lips capturing mine, his tongue heating me to the core. I ran my fingers through his blonde locks, scrapping my mails down the back of his neck. He groaned once more hugging me tighter to his body.
“Are you sure?” I pulled back a little and stared into his eyes. I was risking a lot, I knew this. A one night stand for he knew where my heart belonged, even if he was unworthy of if. I had told myself I never wanted a one night stand, but than I went and had one with Howie. Although, I thought more would have come from it. What was one more with Nick?
“As long as we both knew this comes with no strings?” He smiled and lifted me up in his arms. I took that as a yes and directed him back to my room.
Chapter 5 by ResaD
CHAPTER 5
I covered my eyes against the sun and tried to ignore the sound of someone banging on my front door. I moaned and rolled over, bumping into the man laying next to me. He grunted and rolled over onto his side. I grabbed my robe and made my way downstairs, opening the front door to find Howie there.
“Can I help you with something?” I asked as I leaned against the door.
“Yes you can, actually. But first, may I come in?” I sighed, but opened the door wider. “Thank you. Don’t you think it’s a little late to be in your robe?” I shrugged.
“What do you want?”
“Damn, yes, I would like something to drink.” I rolled my eyes and made my way into the kitchen.
“What can I get you?”
“Coke, please.” He pulled a chair out and rested his arm on the table. “Listen, about yesterday…”
“Why do you always bring up the stupid shit for? What was said, was said and I personally don’t care.” I put the soda in front of him and pulled a chair out for me, trying to cover my nakedness.
“I just feel that what I said was uncalled for. You deserved to find happiness like I did.” I rolled my eyes.
“D, in on way shape or form do you run my life. I was going to do what I damn well please, with or without your consent.”
“Damn it, this is so not going how I want it to.” He ran his hands over his face than through his hair. “What I once might have felt can not effect what I feel for someone else.”
“D, listen to me. If you feel you love her, fine. If you feel she is the only one for you, great. You told me a very long time ago how you felt. I don’t need you to keep reminding me.”
”I know. I know, listen, Leigh would like it if you were in…”
“Hell no. She can’t stand me and I can’t her. No way. Sorry D, I know you’re a friend, but ain’t no way in hell am I doing that!”
“Fine. I can’t pressure you into doing it. I would just hope that since you’re one of my best friends, you would…”
“Don’t play that card!”
“Would you two please keep it down?” I turned to see Nick coming down the stairs, hair totally ever which way. I closed my eyes, praying D would not say anything. This was the last thing I needed to explain.
“Hey man.” D looked at Nick, than back over at me, and his eyes opened wide. “You’re bull shitting me right? You wouldn’t sleep with him?”
“Is there something wrong with that?”
“Over than you being a royal tramp, no, I guess not.”
“Excuse me? A royal tramp?”
“Well yeah. I didn’t agree with Leigh, but I guess now I do. After all, you’re working up the Backstreet ladder.”
“Get the hell out of my house. I don’t want to ever see you again. You’re such the biggest jackass. And I called you friend!” With that, I stormed past him and upstairs. I fell down on the bed, tears running down my cheeks.

“Why did you say that for?” D turned and looked at Nick, a pure look of disgust crossed his face.
“I don’t have to answer to you.”
“You’re right, you don’t, but damn it D, that was just wrong.”
“Nick, shut up! It can’t be as wrong as you sleeping with any woman you can. You’re just as much as a whore as she is!” Nick nodded his head. True enough, he knew what was bothering D.
“I suggest you leave. Now you’re hurting my feelings and I would kick your ass for that. But since this isn’t my house, I can’t.”
“Whatever.” D turned and left, slamming the front door as he left. Nick walked up to my room, flopping down on the bed next to me. He pulled the hair away from my face.
“Hey.” I turned and looked at him. He wiped the tears away. “Don’t let him have that kind of power. Wanna do something?” Let’s go to an amusement park.” Through the haze of my tears, I smiled. Leave it to Nick to do that.

I laughed, holding on to the big black bear that Nick had won for me. He had just gotten another stuffed animal and was making it sing and dance.
“That’s Nick for you!” I laughed some more as the hurt expression crossed his face. “Oh, whatever!” He laughed as he linked his arm through mine and we walked some more. “Hey, there’s Age and Megan.” I ran up behind Age, told Megan to shush and scared the shit out of my brother.
“What the hell. Oh, I’m so gonna kill you!” I screamed and ran behind Nick.
“Save me, the big bad wolf is gonna eat me!” He laughed and wrapped his arm around my waist.
“Age, I got a hold of her man, she’s all yours!” I shrieked as Age came over and started tickling me.
“Please bro, be nice,” I finally managed to get out. He stopped and I was able to catch my breath. “Let’s leave guys.” All eyes turned to look in the direction I was looking and saw Howie and Leigh coming our way, hand in hand.
“Hey guys!” Leigh called out. Both Megan and I smiled while Nick and Age gave her hugs. “Looks like you guys were having fun.”
“It was. Theresa scared the shit out of Age,” Megan said, trying hard not to start laughing again.
“That’s great. Guys wanna go and grab a bite?”
“We already ate, thanks though. In fact, we’re gonna ride some more rides. Bye,” I waved as I grabbed Nick’s hand and dragged him along.
“Hey, I was hungry.”
“I’ll buy you twenty hot dogs, but I’m not talking or dealing with D or Leigh right now.”
“Oh, that’s right, gotcha.” I rolled my eyes. Sometimes, just sometimes, Nick was a total blonde.
Chapter 6 by ResaD
CHAPTER 6
“What do you think that was all about?” Age whispered to Megan. She shrugged her shoulders, watching the retreating couple.
“Ask your friend.” Age threw her a look and all she did was smile.
“D, Theresa didn’t seem happy, wanna explain why?”
“What, you think I did something? Why don’t you ask the person she’s screwing?” Age glanced at Megan who looked just as shocked as he felt.
“What?”
“Oh, you didn’t know? The tramp is screwing another tramp.”
“Woah, back this up. Are you calling my sister a tramp?” D sighed and turned to look at Age. He shook his head, forgetting for just a moment who he was talking to. He was upset, even more so at seeing those two people here.
“I didn’t mean that, I mean, I just…”
“Yes?”
“Yesterday, at Megan’s party, Resa and I sorta got into a fight and when I went over to apologize this morning, I found out she was sleeping with Nick.”
“Okay, and that bothers you why?”
“It doesn’t…I mean, it shouldn’t.”
“You’re right, it shouldn’t. But a blind man can certainly tell it does. Why does it?” D glanced over at Leigh than back at AJ.
“To be honest, man, I don’t know. I just, I really blew up at her and at him.”
“D, you’re my friend, which gives me the right to say whatever the hell I want. You really need to examine your feelings. For Leigh and for Resa. I know you care for her and care about her, anyone can see that. But I think you need to step away from all of this and look from the outside in.” With that, AJ grabbed Megan’s hand and started to lead her away. “Oh, by the way, if you ever dare to call my sister another bad name again, I’m gonna beat your ass your down.” D closed his eyes and let out a sigh and grabbed Leigh’s hand, leading her off in the opposite direction.

Two weeks later, I sat at my desk in my home office. I was responding back to some emails when my phone started to ring. “Hello.”
“Hey sexy.”
“Hey Nick. What’s up?”
“What are you doing?”
“Replying back to some emails. Why, what’s on your mind?”
“Thought you needed a break from everything, thought I would treat you to a vacation.”
“Nick, you don’t have to do that. Remember, I’m nothing…”
“But a friend. I know this. I’m not looking for a relationship. I just think you need to leave. I mean, for crying out loud, everything lately has been about Leigh and D. I know it ain’t easy on you.” I let out a deep breath. He was right, it wasn’t easy. And yes, everything had been Leigh this or Leigh and D that. I was getting royally sick of it., as was a lot of other people.
“What did you have in mind?”
“Laughlin, in two weeks?” I thought it over and had to laugh. It was perfect.
“That’s great! Thanks Nick, you truly are a sweet heart.”
“Well, I tend to try. I’ll call you later with the details!”
“Thanks. Bye.” I hung up and rolled my eyes as my door bell started going off. “Coming,” I hollered. I rushed to get it, surprised to see D there. “What’s up?”
“Can I talk to you?” I shrugged but let him in. “I have felt awful over the things that I said to you about Nick.”
“Okay.”
“It’s not my call who you choose to see or not see or…whatever.”
“I’m not seeing him.”
“Just sleeping with him?”
“If you must know, only twice. Look, he’s the shoulder I needed, the arms of comfort. But, it shouldn’t matter to you.”
“It does matter. I mean, you’re my friend. No matter what happens, or what gets said.”
“That’s great to know. I’m glad I found that kind of favor from you.”
“Why do you always have to play the bitchy role?”
“It’s what I am. Take it or leave it. I haven’t changed in years. You’ve known me for that long.”
“I’m not trying to change you. I mean, I like you this way.” I raised my eyebrow out of sheer disbelief. “There’s another reason I came.”
“I figured. What can I do for you?”
“I want you go to my wedding.”
“No. When are you getting it through your head?”
“Everyone else is going to be there.”
“I’m not everyone else. Why would I go?”
“To support your friend?” I licked my lips and watched as he followed the movement.
“Listen D, I am your friend. And I love you dearly. I just don’t feel she’s the woman for you. I can’t support you when I feel she’s wrong. How could I?”
“You’ll never be there for me?” Slowly, I shook my head. I watched the playing emotions in his eyes. “I thought you would. Thought you were stronger than that. I won’t count you out as a friend. But, as a best friend, I can’t Theresa. If you refuse to be there, to offer your support to your best friend, than I don’t feel you should be called that. The invite will always be there. I just hope…” He trailed over, gave me one last look and walked out the door. I let out a deep breath and could start to feel the tears falling!
Chapter 7 by ResaD
CHAPTER 7
Later that evening, I laid on the couch, reading a book as I heard the front door open. I placed my bookmarker and glanced up to see AJ there. “Hey.”
“Hey girlie.”
“What’s up bro?”
“Heard you leaving town?” I rolled my eyes.
“Damn that boy can not keep his mouth shut!”
“I know, it’s sad. Listen, there’s not more going on there, is there?”
“No, Age. He’s just a friend. He knows how rough it’s been and will be. Just sorta being the shoulder I need.”
“I just don’t want to see him get hurt.”
“There’s nothing going on. Even he knows this. We cleared the air early on.”
“Good, that’s good. I also got another call.”
“Let me guess, from D.”
“Yup. Said he stopped by.”
“He did.”
“He’s really torn up by this Theresa.” I threw my book down on the table.
“Son of a bitch, Alex, what do you guys wants from me? I refuse to stand by his side and say all of this is okay. Damn it, what will it take to make you all understand!”
“He’s your best friend!”
“I can’t help it! He’s making the biggest mistake of his life!”
“Because he doesn’t marry you?” That stopped me up short.
“Why does everyone think this is because of me?”
“You told me it should have been you that night we all got told.”
“I was upset than. This is not from that. Do you honestly believe Leigh is the right woman for him?”
“No, but it’s not my choice. If he honestly loves her, as his friend, I just have to stand by his side. I can’t tell him who to love and who not to love!”
“Well, than you play the good role and support him. I’m just trying to make him see that this will be the biggest mistake of his life.”
“Are you willing to risk losing your friendship over it?”
“I’ve risked a lot more than that.” His eyes narrowed but I shook my head. “Look, Alex, I’m tired. And I have a lot of stuff to get done before I leave.” I sniffed, trying so hard not to cry once more.
“I love you girlie.” He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek before he headed out.

“So, are you excited?” I rolled my eyes.
“Totally.”
“Now, you’re not planning on marrying him are you?” I raised my eyebrow at her.
“Are you kidding me? Marry Nick? Eww!” She busted out laughing.
“He’s not that bad!”
“Nah, he isn’t. After all, he has been the sweetheart I needed!”
“So, what are we shopping for?”
“Nick told me to buy a new swim suit and a nice dress.”
“Oh, putting the moves on you.”
“Wait now, we’ve already done that.” She linked her arm through mine and shook her head.
“Is he a good lover?”
“MEGAN! You know I don’t kiss and tell…a lot anyways.”
“Just answer the question.”
“Yeah, he is. He, well, it’s only been a couple times. He’s just been the friend I needed. Not to say that you or Age haven’t been great, cause you have, but ya know what I mean.”
“Totally. I hate to think of me being in the situation you’re in.” I nodded my head, but she really had no idea how hard this was on me! No one knew or understood, well, except for blondie. “What would you do if you ran into Leigh on the street?”
“You mean besides kick her ass?” She laughed, and I joined her. “I don’t know. I mean…” I trailed off as Megan stopped and looked at me. “Megan, why do you ask?”
“Cause she’s right there.” I followed her finger and gasped. Not more than twenty from us was the woman of all my problems. Her head turned and she glanced in our direction. She smirked and made her way over.
“Well, isn’t this nice, ladies.”
“Hey Leigh. What are you doing?”
“Buying some last minute things for the honeymoon and the honeymoon night. You know what I mean?”
“Yes. But why now?”
“The wedding has been bumped up. We’re getting married in three months.” My throat clogged up and I started to shake. She had to be lying. “Is something wrong, Theresa?” She looked way to smug.
“Not at all. Wasn’t aware Howie was so anxious to marry…you,” I stated, making sure she could hear my disdain for her.
“Well, what can you say when you love someone?”
“You say that six years later?”
“D told me he talked to you. Kinda bitchy that his best friend won’t be there. What’s wrong, upset because he choose a real woman, not some damn whore?”
“Oh, you’re wrong. You are a whore. It’s been proven with your rather long list of lovers.”
“Nothing compared to yours. And what is this, another to add?”
“And if I recall, you added another one last week? Please, everyone but D knew what when on at your party.” She reached out and slapped my cheek.
“You bitch!” I raised my eyebrow at her.
“You did not just slap me!”
“I did, what are you gonna do about it?” I reached back and punched her, making sure she had a black eye.
“Lay a hand on me again, next time I won’t be nice about it. And you’re damn lucky I’m not telling D about your little stripper. Wouldn’t he just like to know about all of that?” Her hands clenched and she lunged for me, but Megan stopped her.
“Leigh, stop.”
“Thank you. It’s nice to know I have friends like you Megan, to stop me from making a fool of myself.”
“Oh, I ain’t stopin’ you for that. I don’t need her killin’ you in the middle of the mall. Can’t help her with so many witnesses around.” She glared at the both of us before she turned and left. We both watched her go, both of us charged up and annoyed.
“Thank you Megan.”
“No problem. I don’t really need you killing her.”
“I know.” I sighed and felt her gaze on me. “What?”
“You know she’s gonna tell D about this right? And that she’s gonna paint you in the worst possible light and…”
“And make herself look like a saint, yes I know. But you know what; I’m tired of fighting him. Tired of making him see. For way to long I’ve stood by. If he wants to screw up his life, fine. I’m tired of cleaning up after him though. He’s old enough to know and understand.”
“There’s more that you’re not telling me.”
“Nothing you don’t know.” With that, I picked up my bags and headed off. She watched me go and shook her head, knowing without a doubt something was truly up.
Chapter 8 by ResaD
CHAPTER 8
“What’s wrong with you?” I glanced over at the person sitting next to me and smiled.
“Nothing, why do you ask?”
“Cause you’ve been in a funk since we left.” I grabbed my phone, dialed up my voicemail and put it on speaker phone. Moments later, a voice spoke, one highly pissed off who called me the worst friend and made it very clear that I was not to lay a hand on his soon to be wife again nor was I allowed to attend his wedding, even if I had wanted to. And than a quick slamming of the phone and all was dead. “Was that D?”
“You’re quick.” He glared at me and I couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m sorry. I’m just ticked.”
“With that kind of message, I can see why. D has got to get off of his hot and cold feelings.”
“You know what Nick; I don’t want to think about him this weekend. I don’t want to talk about him or anything concerning him.”
“Can we listen to the new cd?” I busted out laughing.
“Sure, play whatever you want.” He put in the guys latest cd, hit random and I just smiled at his antics. But that quickly faded as the opening lines to Unmistakable came on. I quickly hit forward, changing that song. “Don’t ask.” He held up his hands in surrender.
“But, before we close the whole D thing for the weekend, what happened with Leigh and you?”
“She slapped me, I punched her.”
“That’s how you got the cut on your face.”
“Yup, her engagement ring. She told D the story, as both Megan and I knew, but she painted the picture that I played the bitchy role and she never laid a hand on me.”
“And of course D bought her side.”
“Totally. Wanna hear something even more messed up? Do you know she cheated on D? Not even a week ago.”
“What?”
“The stripper that her friends got her for her party. Yup, Leigh Anne told Megan the whole story. And yet he stays with her and wonders why I can’t stand her. Why no one likes her.”
“AJ said that D tried to get you to go to the wedding. So did AJ.”
“I refuse to go. And it’s not really about me. Sure, I love him, but I’m just tired of seeing him live this life that he think is so perfect with her. Time will fade away and he will see her for what she is. But, than it will be to late, because he will not get a divorce.”
“And you told him all this?”
“Short of telling him about the kid, yeah, I have. He just tells me he loves her! What bull shit.” I shook my head and turned my attention out the window. “Can we close it up now?”
“Done!”

I groaned as I heard my phone ringing. I opened my eyes and peeked at the caller id.
“Who is it sleepy head?”
“Alex. Here, will you answer it?” I handed him the phone, heard a hello, than a sure. He smiled and handed me back the phone.
“He said if he wanted to talk to me, he would have called my cell phone.” I rolled my eyes but took the phone.
“What’s up?”
“Thanks for telling me you’re leaving!”
“You knew I was. I left ya like three voicemails.”
“I know. But, that’s not why I’m calling!”
“I sorta figured as well. What can I do for you?”
“You punched her?” I sighed.
“You’re kidding? You have to be. I know you would not call me up and start accusing me for no damn good reason.”
“D told me the story!”
“No, D told you the story he got told, which is so not the truth. Listen, is Megan there?”
“She had to leave for the day. Why..wait.”
“No, I’m going to tell you this once. When Megan gets in, have her tell you the real story. If you still wanna kill me and bitch me out, be my guest. Until than, you call me anymore and I will dismember you when I get back home. I do not need to be dealing with assholes on my vacation!” With that, I snapped my phone shut and threw it back in my purse. I gazed out the window, seeing a sign that said another 70 miles to Laughlin.
“Are you gonna be okay?”
“I would if God just took away all the men in the world away!”
“Hey, that hurts!”
“Okay, you can stay. But that does not mean you get all the women!”

She walked threw the front door and heard nothing but silence. She looked around, seeing no one. She sat her stuff down on the couch, and switched on the lamp. “Babe?”
“You’re home.” She turned to the study and saw him sitting in there, lights turned off.
“What are you doing in here?”
“Thinking.” She walked over to the chair and sat down on his lap.
“This is not a good sign. What’s gong on, Alex?”
“I talked to Theresa today.”
“About what?”
“Well, I sorta started on about her and Leigh”
“Don’t tell me you accused her without talking to me.” He shrugged and she sighed. “Was she pissed?”
“She told me if I called her before you got home and talked to me, she would dismember me when she got home. Than said she did not need to be dealing with assholes this weekend.”
“Yeah, she doesn’t.”
“Are you calling me one too?”
“To be honest, yes, I am. Age, how could you tell her anything without hearing our side?”
“Cause it was from D…”
“Who heard from Leigh. How right do you think that’s going to be?”
“True enough. So what happened?” Megan sighed and told him the whole story. “She slapped Resa first?”
“That’s what I said.”
“She hit MY SISTER?”
“Age, chill. Yes, she did.”
“Okay, than she cheated on D?”
“My gosh, do I have to repeat the whole story again?”
“I’m sorry. I just don’t believe this. This is not what D said at all. When he called me up, he told me that she walked up to Leigh, accused her of being a whore and of lying. He claimed that Resa just abused her with her words. Than because Leigh tried to say something, Resa punched her!”
“Damn, she sure can weave a tale! But that doesn’t explain what you were thinking about.”
“I was thinking I didn’t want to attend D’s wedding either. Resa was right when she said that we need to stand up. She won’t make him happy and the marriage will end in no time. I don’t want to see my best friend hurting years down the road.”
“You know that’s gonna hurt him?”
“I won’t tell him yet.”
“Are you gonna go over and see him?”
“He went out of town with Leigh. They’re…”
“Baby, what’s wrong. You just lost all your color.”
“D and Leigh are in Laughlin.”
“You’re fuckin’ kidding!”
Chapter 9 by ResaD
CHAPTER 9
“So, where are we staying?”
“I booked us a wonderful suite at the Colorado Belle. We have a balcony and a riverside view.”
“Oh my gosh, we’re not gonna be in there but a few hours!” I laughed at him. Sometimes, he was too much. I picked up my phone, not even glancing at the id. “Hello.”
“Sis.”
“Hey bro. What’s up?”
“I want to say I’m sorry.”
“For?”
“Why do you make my life hard?”
“Eh, that’s what little sisters are there for. So, you’re sorry for what?”
“For not asking you first. When Megan told me, I wanted to hit Leigh too. Than to know that she cheated on D.”
“Listen, Age, don’t tell him. Or, rather, don’t tell him about the cheating.”
“He needs to know.”
“He has known and yet he still wants to marry her. Don’t try fighting him anymore.”
“Okay, if you wish. Listen, I just went and put some extra cash in your bank account, so gamble away. But play some for me and Megan, kay?”
“You know I’m gonna! It’s good to have connections. That’s what I play on.” He laughed and I smiled.
“There’s just one more thing.”
“What’s up bro?”
“Be careful please?” I frowned and Nick glanced at me.
“Always Alex. Where’s that coming from?” Alex turned to see Megan shaking her head.
“Just, I love you. I want to see you come home, is that okay?”
“Totally. Don’t worry though. Nicky is here to protect him.” He snorted at that.
“Nick can’t protect himself.”
“Well, we’re here. I’ll call you when I get back into town. Love ya bro!”
“Love you too.” I snapped my phone shut and jumped for the joy as I saw the lights. I leaned over the console and gave Nick a kiss on the cheek.
“If I haven’t said anything yet, or I don’t say anything after, thank you!”
“Give me a real one of those later and we’ll call it even!” I rolled my eyes but got all the more excited as we pulled up to the hotel.

“Look, Alex, I trust Leigh. If she said that Theresa hit her first, I’m gonna buy that. Look, I’m glad you’re concerned, but please, pay more attention to your sister than to me. She’s the one wanting to be a bitch.” Howie rolled his eyes. “I’m sorry. I know she’s your sister. Yes, yes…she’s what? You’re kidding!” He stopped taking as he glanced up. “Let me call you back man.” He snapped the phone shut and walked over. “Hey.”
“Hi.” I tired to smile, but couldn’t. Well, Friday night passed way too quickly and here it was, Saturday evening and I had to bump into him! Why? Just one more night of not thinking of him or anything!
“That’s a nasty cut on your cheek.”
“Diamonds hurt.”
“Are you alone or...hey Nick.”
“Hey D. Didn’t know you where coming.”
“Needed to get away. Um, I need to talk to Resa alone. Do you mind?”
“Not at all. I’m heading back to the room to change. See ya there.” Nick placed a quick kiss upon my cheek and I stared after him. No, Lord, please take all the men! How dare Nick leave me alone with D!
“Um, I just got off the phone with AJ. He, um, told me a slightly different story than the one Leigh told me…”
“Just stop. I don’t care D.”
“How can you say you don’t care? I don’t get you! You claim to be such a dear friend yet something like this happens and I just…”
“D, no matter who says what, or does what, you’re gonna believe that one person! I can’t change you’re mind, no one has. Why should I waste my breath on explaining something when you’re mind is already set? Please, tell me!”
“It’s not already set…it’s just…”
“Howie, you want to know what happened? She slapped me. I punched her. I got a cut on my cheek from her ring and she got a black eye. Why did this all come about? Because she called me a whore. The very condensed version.”
“I want to believe you, but I doubt Leigh would just slap you for no reason.”
“You’re right. I called her a whore back.”
“She’s not a whore!”
“OH MY GOD! That is it. I’m sick of it. Believe that you’re little angel can do no damn wrong. Praise her; raise her up on that pedestal that you have not takin’ her off of. Believe her over the closest people to you. The people who love you very dearly and want nothing more than your damn happiness! Take your angel though, and get the hell out of my life! I refuse to go on fighting over this; I refuse to stand up to you. Take whatever the hell life gives you from here on out. Don’t give a shit about me and don’t look back!” With that, I turned on my heel and walked back to my room.
Chapter 10 by ResaD
CHAPTER 10
Four hours later, I sat down at the bar and ordered a drink. Lately, my life had turned to shit. I was upset with my best friend, on the verge of killing him and all my dreams were dashed. Sure, at times we got along fine, but fine was not what I wanted. I sighed and closed my eyes. Did I want D to marry Leigh? No, but for lots of reasons. The last being that I loved him, had loved him, and I had done all I could to get his attention. But, perhaps it was time to move on. He made certain that he showed that he didn’t care for me in such a manner. I took a sip of my drink and sighed once more.
“That doesn’t sound good.” I rolled my eyes and shook my head.
“What can I do for you, Mr. Dorough.?”
“First, I want you to look at me.” I turned in my chair to look at him. His finger lifted my chin up so I met him eye to eye. Mentally, I shivered. His eyes always held such an erotic appeal for me and this time was certainly no different. “Much better. Now,” his hand grabbed mine and his thumb kept rubbing against the back of my hand. “Now,” his eyes held mine and within those depths I saw a hunger that was burning, a desire that was uncontrollable.
“Now what?” I managed to whisper out. His hand cupped my cheek, caressing the skin.
“Now all I wanna do is kiss you.” He leaned forward and his lips brushed mine, sending my mind reeling and my body floating.
“Don’t start something…”
“Hush.” Once more, his lips captured mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his arms encircled my waist. He pulled my body as tightly as he could against his. Someone moaned, causing us to pull away. He leaned his forehead against mine and smiled. “That was enjoyable.” I blushed and he quickly placed his lips against mine. “Your room or mine?” There was all kind of warning bells going off, knowing that this was very wrong, knowing that I was probably getting used, knowing that he or I would regret this come the morning light, but right now, being held in his arms, I just didn’t care. Screw what tomorrow would bring, I was living for the now of it.
“Mine.” I slid off the chair, caught Nick on the dance floor with some girl. He turned in my direction and winked. I winked back and nodded my head. He smiled and turned his attention back to the girl. I knew the room was mine for the night. Howie placed his hand upon my back and we headed back to my room. I slid the key in, all of sudden feeling so wrong about this.
“Come here.” I walked into his arms and got lost in the scent of him. Oh, I wanted so many things, but above all us, I had to cherish tonight, for there was no doubt in my mind I would not have another one like it. His lips trailed over my eyes, my cheeks and finally on my lips. I wrapped my arms around his waist, sliding my fingers up underneath his shirt and running them down his back. His hands were fumbling with the back of my dress and in a hurry; he just yanked it, sending many buttons flying in all directions. I pulled away, clutching the dress to my breasts.
“Hey, this was a gift.”
“From?”
“An ex boyfriend.”
He growled and I smiled. “Than it’s worthless. Come here.” An evil glint entered my eye as I walked another step away. I slowly started working the dress down and over my hips, watching his reaction the whole time. I smirked to myself, loving the few expressions that crossed his face. Once I had it off, I tossed it aside and slowly removed the bra, throwing at Howie as I ran over to the bed. He tore his shirt off and jumped on top of me. “Hm, I like this position.” My hand cupped the back of his neck and pulled him down for a kiss, one that was passion filled and one that lasted the rest of the night.
Chapter 11 by ResaD
CHAPTER 11
I heard the steady beep of the phone and turned over on my side, feeling nothing but an empty space on the other side of the bed. I let the tear slip out and shook my head. Well, what else did I think would happen? I rolled over to the table next to the bed and flipped my phone open. There was a text message from D, saying that he was sorry that he couldn’t stay but that he and Leigh were headed out today. And that he had no regrets about last night and that I shouldn’t either. I slammed my phone shut and heard the door open.
“Good, you’re awake…what’s wrong?”
“I got a message from D.”
“A phone call?”
“Hell no. I don’t deserve that. I’m just the woman he sleeps with, why the hell would I get a phone call. No, he left me a damn message. Saying he had to head out with Leigh and that I shouldn’t regret last night because he didn’t! What a damn jerk! I was the lay he needed to get his mind off of his soon to be wife.”
“I thought the wedding wasn’t takin’ place until next year, till after the touring.”
“Geez Carter, where have you been? It’s now three months away!”
“Hey, don’t take you’re anger out on me!” I ran my hand over my eyes, hoping that the tears wouldn’t come. But, they didn’t listen and before I knew it, the sobs were coming. “Hey, now, I didn’t mean to do this.” Nick walked over to the bed and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.
“Why didn’t I say no? Why was I actually hoping this time would be different? Why do I have to love him?”
“Theresa, Howie has got to be the biggest fool around. I really am sorry that this all happened like this. I wish there was something I could do. I mean, I wish I never suggested this place.”
“Nick, you did a good thing. You didn’t know anymore than I did that I would run into him.”
“I still feel horrible.”
“Don’t, please don’t. You’ve been the greatest throughout all of this and I truly can’t thank you enough for it.”
“Wanna head home?” I looked up at him through tear filled eyes and nodded my head. “No problem.” He placed a kiss on my nose. “Go take a shower and get ready. That might help some.”

“What’s so urgent?” I stopped my pacing and turned to look at Nick. I clenched my hands and shook my head. I turned and started pacing again. “Okay, you’re freakin’ me out. What’s going on?”
“I need you to go with me.”
“Fine, go where?”
“To the doctor’s office. I just took a test and it’s coming out positive.”
“Doctors? Test? Positive…no way. Ain’t no way!”
“How do you think I’m feeling? I’m late, I just, it can’t be.”
“D is getting married in less than a month and you’re telling me you could possibly be pregnant?”
“Hush, Nick. People just like to walk into my house!” He sat down on my couch and held his head in his hands.
“There’s no way. From one time?” I shrugged and looked away.
“Four times.”
“And he was protected.”
“Nope.”
“WHAT? What the hell were you thinking?”
“Nothing, just how good it felt. Look, I know it was stupid, but now, of all times, I need you.” I sat down next to him and he turned to look at me.
“If you are, and you can carry it, what are you planning on doing?” I stared out into space for a moment before I turned haunted eyes to him.
“I have no clue.”
“You won’t tell him?”
“Not in a million years. I’d rather marry you and ask you to play dad to it.” He shook his head.
“He needs to know.”
“No and you can’t tell him either! Promise me, Nick!” He glared at me and jumped off the couch.
“Howie doesn’t know there was a first kid. Now you’re asking me not to tell him there’s a second kid?”
“Yes, that’s what I’m asking. Please, if you love me, you won’t tell him.”
“Are you ready?”
“Nick?”
“I won’t tell. Now, can we go?”

I cried, I cried for almost two days straight. Nick was my house that whole time and he just kept telling Megan, AJ, or anyone else that stopped by that he had no clue what was wrong. But he knew. I knew and had no idea what to do. I couldn’t hide for nine months. Not from these people who mean the world to me. I didn’t believe in abortion, and something told me that this time around, I wasn’t going to have a miscarriage. I wrapped my arms around my legs and rested my head upon my knees. I heard a faint knock and muttered out a ‘come in’. I turned my head and Megan smiled.
“Wanna talk?”
“Nothing to talk about.”
“Sure there is. There’s a lot to say.”
“I’m sorry. I’m not in the mood right now.”
“Look, Theresa, we’ve been best friends for I don’t know how long. I know something is really bothering you and it’s killing me that you’re not sharing.”
“I just need…”
“Alone time. I’ve heard that for two days now. Just because things went sour with Howie, doesn’t mean you can dodge the world you know? It’s time to face up and move on.”
“Megan…I’m sorry, just, please leave.” She nodded her head and walked out the door, closing it behind her. I knew she meant well and that she was just trying to boost me up, but she had no clue and her words stung. But, she was right. I needed to move on.

“Nick, what’s wrong with her?”
“I don’t know Age.” He glanced at him. “Honestly.”
“Don’t lie to me, little man. That’s my sister! You know something that you’re not sharing!”
“I can’t…I can’t tell you.”
“You had better start tellin’ or I’m gonna start hurtin!”
“Than hurt Howie, this is all his fault.” Nick closed his eyes.
“What do you mean?”
“If I tell you, you can not tell Theresa you heard it from me.”
“Fine.”
“And you can not tell Howie.”
“I don’t like this, but fine.”
“A few years ago, Theresa was pregnant and had a miscarriage. Now, she’s getting ready to have another one and the doctor said she should be able to carry it to term.”
“Are you telling me that damn man screwed my sister over twice and is leaving her to handle this shit alone?”
“Yes.”
“And you knew and didn’t bother to tell me?”
“She asked me not to!”
“Well, I didn’t promise not to tell D, either.” Nick turned and glanced at Megan as she walked down the stairs.
“No, she begged and pleaded with me not to tell him. You can’t Megan.”
“No way in hell. D has loved her forever! He just refuses to admit it or examine his true feelings. It’s time to see what’s staring him in the face!”
“Megan, I’m asking you as a friend. She doesn’t want him to know. Hell, she didn’t want you to know. Why do you think she’s kept this to herself? Why do you think she’s going through this alone? She knew exactly what would happen, exactly what would get said and done. She didn’t want to end the friendships that have formed over the years.” AJ sighed, not knowing what to do. He knew Howie loved his sister; there was no doubt in his mind about that. Why the little man did not fess up to it though, was no one’s guess. And now finding this out, this was all the more reason for Howie to be by her side.
“What are you thinking about honey?” He glanced down at Megan than over at Nick.
“We all know that Howie as loved my sister. Why he’s still going through with marrying this woman is beyond all of us to understand. I have a feeling he’s scared though, and that’s why he keeps running back to Leigh. But, I feel that maybe we should honor Theresa’s feelings.”
“Thank you,” Nick breathed. Age glanced over at him.
“To some degree. It’s killing me that she had to go though through this alone the first time. I refuse to let her go through this a second time alone. We can only ask Howie how he feels and if by the time his wedding comes and he still refuses my sister, well, than maybe we should just change his mind a little.”
“Theresa would kill you if she thought that the wedding was over because of her.”
“Nick, I know this, but Theresa has loved him for just as long as he’s loved her. She’s put her feelings out there and he comes just using her. Although, I don’t think he’s just using.” AJ felt his phone vibrate and flipped it open. “Hey D. Yeah, what’s up? Okay, okay, at 7. Yeah. I can see if she’ll come. She’s been feeling really horrible. Something she caught in Laughlin. Yeah, I’m hoping it’s not serious either. Cool, catch ya later.” With that he hung up his phone.
“What was that all about?” Megan asked as she pulled out a chair and sat down at the kitchen table.
“That was Howie and he wanted all of us to attend a dinner. This Saturday at 7. He asked if Theresa would make it.”
“Don’t you find it funny that he would ask that knowing how he feels?”
“I think he just needs to see her, needs to feel her presence.”
“Whatever he wants, he’s not going to get it. I am not going to his dinner!” All eyes turned to the bottom of the stairs.
“Hey sis. How you feelin?”
“Better after Megan came up and talked to me. But I repeat, I am not going Saturday?”
“For me, since I won’t have anyone to talk to? Everyone has someone to talk to or to be with it. I’ll be all alone.” I rolled my eyes at Nick. Damn it, he knew he was smooth. I glared at him and walked over behind Megan and AJ.
“Fine. But, I’m only going to so you’re not alone. And I’m not staying for the whole thing.”
Chapter 12 by ResaD
CHAPTER 12
“So, shall we order wine around the table?”
“I’m fine, thank you Howie.”
“You don’t drink?”
“Not in the mood. Sides, I don’t want Age to feel left out.” He smiled at me and winked.
“Oh, I’m sorry man.”
“Don’t worry about it D. Everyone drink up.”
“Well, I wanna propose a toast. To the soon to be married couple. May they have a wonderful wedding and hopefully many joys will come your way,” Leigh Anne toasted. Everyone raised their glass and mumbled something or other. I watched Howie, who looked uncomfortable.
“Thank you for your well wishes, girl. I’m sure Howie and I will be very happy.” I took a drink of my soda, wishing for something stronger.
“You okay?” I smiled to my right and glanced at Nick.
“Yeah. I just don’t want to be here.”
“This was not what D wanted. He just wanted a quiet dinner with his friends.”
“He would have to be dumb if he thought no one would toast.”
“He is, after all, he’s letting you slip through his fingers.” I squeezed Nick’s hand and he beamed at me. I glanced around the table and my eyes landed on Howie, who was staring at me very intently. He glared at me and shook his head, turning his attention to whatever Kevin was telling him.
“Did you see that?” I nodded my head in answer to Age’s question. “Are we missing something?”
“I have no clue. I was just talking to Nick. I’m going outside to get some air, excuse me.” I scooted my seat back, smiled at Nick and made a bee line for the doors. Once outside, I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.
“Are you okay?” I opened my eyes and smiled at D.
“Yeah, just needed some fresh air.”
“I can understand.”
“What can I do for you?”
“Just needed some air as well.”
“Right. What’s on your mind?”
“How close are you and Nick?”
“He’s just a friend. Nothing to get worked up about.”
“Just seem closer.”
“And if we are?”
“It’s none of my business, I know. Actually, I wanted to talk about that night in Laughlin. I haven’t talked to you or seen you since than.”
“Yeah, I sorta noticed.”
“I didn’t want to hurt you.” I snorted at that. “Really. That night was wonderful and I didn’t want to screw it up.”
“Why did you come to me?” It took him a while to answer, which already told me I wasn’t going to like the answer.
“Leigh and I had gotten in a fight, shockingly, over you. I found out that she lied about the little fight between the two of you.”
“So, you used me?”
“Well, no, not quite.” I rose my eyebrow at that. “It’s obvious that I care for you, probably a lot more than I should. I just, I needed you.”
“You needed me before you’re wedding? Right, and that’s supposed to me make me feel better than you telling me you used me.”
“No matter how I explain it, it’s going to sound really bad to you.”
“Than why not just tell me the truth Howie. Why not just tell me that you loved me and you needed this one night to get you through the rest of your life with the woman you don’t really love. Please, give my best to everyone but I’m not feeling good and need to head home.” With that, I turned and left, savoring the look of shock that was on his face. Yup, without a doubt in my mind, I had guessed why he did what he did. And now, he knew that I knew. What he did with that information though, was totally up to him.

“Thought you weren’t going?” The man shrugged as he straightened out his tie.
“Nick is going to be there.”
“And you have a point?”
“We might have a plan.” She stopped applying her make up and turned to look at her man.
“Alex, what if Theresa doesn’t want him?”
“She loves him.”
“Yeah, you can love someone and not want to be with them. He’s hurt her time and time again. Honestly, think about it. If we do something, what if she gets really pissed off at us? I don’t want my best friend mad at me.”
“Megan, she won’t be. Has she confessed to you that she doesn’t want to be with him?” As she shook her head, he smiled. “Than I have a very full load of confidence that she wants to be with him. For as long as I can remember, she has loved him, has always wanted to be with him. Just because he’s screwed up a time or two, she’s not gonna stop wanting to be with him.”
“I know you’re right. I just, I picture things and the last thing I want is to be at odds with her.” He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her lips.
“Don’t worry, baby. I know my sister and I know my best friend. Our plan has to work.” She leaned back against his chest and looked at him in the mirror.
“I trust you.” He kissed the top of her head.
“It’s all I’m asking for. See you there baby.”
Chapter 13 by ResaD
CHAPTER 13
“Lookin nice little man.” Howie glanced in the mirror as Nick and AJ walked through his door.
“I’m nervous.”
“No reason to be. Hey, John, can we speak to D alone?” Howie looked at John but John nodded and left the room.
“What’s up guys? Please, have a seat. I’m glad Theresa didn’t talk you out of coming.”
“Nah, she couldn’t do that. Listen, are you sure you wanna do this?” Howie looked at Nick.
“Man, what are you referring to?”
“Are you sure you wanna marry Leigh?”
“Of course. Why are you questioning that?”
“Thought you had love for another woman is all,” AJ said, watching Howie’s reaction. He closed his eyes and turned around. He walked over to the window and stared outside.
“What do you want?”
“Why are you refusing what you want so badly?”
“Because I’ve spent six years with Leigh. I can’t just toss that away.”
“Or, she won’t let you toss that away?” Nick questioned.
“What does it matter?”
“It matters a lot. But, I want you to think of some things before you say I do this afternoon. First of all, your bride to be is finding it very hard to stay faithful. At her little all girls’ party that Leigh Anne threw her, she had a wild affair with that stripper of hers.”
“Seeing the light of things, I haven’t been faithful either Nick.”
“Which leads me to my point, D. I love Theresa, and I swear, if anyone hurts her, I’m gonna beat the living shit out of him. But, before I go on about that, remember a few years ago when Theresa went and lived with her mother?”
“Of course.”
“Her mother wasn’t sick like she wanted everyone to believe. She was pregnant and actually had a miscarriage. Mind you, she’s had to live with that by herself for all these years. She had to endure that pain on her own.”
“No one told her too. We all would have been there for you.”
“True. Until she told us who the father was. We would have one less member of the Boys. For I would have killed the father.” Howie looked at AJ and than it finally hit him. He, Howie D, was the father. Age would have killed him. Howie ran his hand over his face and sat down before he crumpled to the floor.
“There was no proof that it would have been mine.”
“You’re the only man she has ever slept with!” Howie tired to recall that night, remembered the tightness, remembered the blood and yet he thought nothing of it.
“Oh God.”
“There’s more.” Howie turned tortured eyes to AJ. “It seems that her body must really like yours cause she’s pregnant again. With your child.”
“No way. Not now!”
“You refuse to believe that?”
“She’s a damn whore! Hello, she slept with Nick over there. Damn, she has everyone wrapped around her little finger. I refused to buy her lies anymore. It’s not like I’m the only man she has slept with now!” AJ nodded his head and turned to Nick.
“Let’s go man. I want you to do the math though Howie. She’s exactly three months along. Not four, which would have been the last time Nick touched her.” With that, they both left Howie alone to his thoughts.

“Are you okay? You don’t look good D.”
“I’m not feeling so hot John, but I’ll be okay.” Howie smiled at his brother and turned his attention to the back of the church. I slipped in and took a seat in back pew, and offered him a smile. He glared at me, upset it looked like, but I couldn’t figure out why. After a few more moments, the piano started to play and we all stood up to watch Leigh make her way down the aisle. After a few moments she was clutching Howie’s hand and I watched as she smiled and felt my stomach turn. This was truly the biggest mistake I made, but, he was a friend and I was moving on. I had my bags packed, a note for everyone, and I was moving away, till I could settle my life down. I tuned out the wedding lost in my own thoughts until I heard the preacher call out if there was anyone who had objections. The baby inside moved and I so wanted to jump out of my seat and say I do. But, I wouldn’t dare.
“I can’t do this.” I opened my eyes and stared at Howie. “Excuse me, everyone.” With that he flew down the aisle and into a side room. Everyone watched him go, shocked at what just happened. I quickly left and followed him. I knocked on the door and heard a grumbled ‘leave me alone’.
“It’s me,” I peeked my head around the door and smiled at him. “May I come in?” He rolled his eyes but nodded his head.
“What more could you do to ruin my life?”
“I beggin’ your pardon? What have I done to ruin you’re life?”
“You sent both Nick and AJ in here to explain about you being pregnant and how it would be the smart thing to be with you.” I paled at his words and started to shake.
“They…they told you,” I whispered.
“Oh, stop with the damn act already. You knew they did.” I sat down on the couch.
“I swear, I didn’t want them to tell you. I never wanted you to know.” He turned around and glared at me.
“Why?”
“Cause you loved Leigh. I didn’t want to destroy that. You made your feelings very obvious for me.”
“If you loved me, why didn’t you fight for me?” I glanced up at him, confused.
“Exactly what are you telling me? First your mad at me for having those two dip shits come and tell you something, now your mad at me because I didn’t fight for you?”
“I don’t know what I’m feeling. I just know I’m very confused and the last thing I want is to be around you or around Leigh.”
“That’s great. I was leaving anyway.”
“What?”
“I came to watch all your dreams come true than I was leaving.” I stood up and walked towards the door. “There was never a time I didn’t love you Howard. It might have seemed that’s what had me so upset over your marriage and that was part of it, I won’t lie. The biggest part though, was me thinking you were man enough to go after your dreams, not just stay in a comfort zone.” I walked through the doors, not once turning my head around.
Chapter 14 by ResaD
CHAPTER 14
I watched as the sun set along the horizon, enjoying the wonderful view. I leaned back on my elbows, letting the slight wind cool me down. I closed my eyes, hearing a faint song.

~*~ Anytime, anywhere, anyplace/ You could be anyone today/ Maybe I will recognize you on a crowded street/ Maybe you’ll take me by surprise/ Will you be the one I had in mind / There come a day/ When you walk out of my dreams/ Face to face/ Like I’m imagining/ Baby how can I be sure that you’re the one I’m waiting for/ Will you be/ Unmistakable ~*~

I opened my eyes and glanced around, yet seeing no car that I recognized.
“Probably just some fan in love with that song,” I mumbled to myself. I closed my eyes again, this time hearing it more loudly. ‘What the hell,’ my mind screamed at me.
“May I have this dance?” My eyes popped open, gazing into his brown ones. He offered his hand to help me up and slid his arms around my waist.
“What are you doing?”
“Dancing. I didn’t have a reception, so I get to dance on the beach.”
“Excuse me? No reception?”
“Nope. Wasn’t a point when there was no wedding.” Okay, I was confused. He was talking in riddles and it was not what I wanted to hear.
“Howie, what are you telling me?”
“Take a walk with me?” I sighed but nodded. He held my hand as we walked along the shore, letting the waves crash around our legs.

~*~ People say watch your life through a glass/ Desperately waiting on a chance/ I know you’re out there/ Holding on holding out for me/ How do I know the time is right/ What if you’re here and I’m just blind/ There come a day/ When you walk out of my dreams/ Face to face/ Like I’m imagining/ Baby how can I be sure that you’re the one I’m waiting for/ Will you be/ Unmistakable ~*~
“After you left, Leigh came into the room. She asked me what was wrong and I had no idea where to start. But, you’re words struck home with me. I realized that I was just living in a safe zone. I had no clue why I was there, when I knew you loved me and I knew I loved you. I cause it was just because I didn’t want to hurt the friendship we had. That means the world to me and I would never want to lose it. But looking at her, I couldn’t live the rest of my life with her either. So I told her. Told her I knew everything about her, but that it was time she knew everything about me. That I had slept with you, that you are pregnant now, and that you were the only woman I had really ever loved. She was furious for a time, but she asked me why I asked her to marry me if I knew I was in love with another woman. I didn’t know how to answer than and I don’t know how to answer now. Other than it being a rather stupid thought.” He stopped talking and I turned to look at him. He stopped walking and I walked in front of him. His eyes searched mine and I smiled.
“Stupid thought, huh?”
“Very stupid. I was going to let the most precious thing to me in this world, get away. All because I was scared. But, I don’t want to be that man that lives in that safe zone. I want to go after my dreams. And all my dreams have always centered on you.”

~*~ How can I know a song I never heard/ How will I know your voice when you haven’t said a word/ How do I know how this will end/ Before we began (before we began) ~*~

His arms wrapped around my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I sniffed and tired not to let the tears fall, but he wiped the first one away and I couldn’t hold them back.
“What is this?”
“I love you Howie. Have for so long. I’ve always wanted only you.”
“Hush, its okay. I’m here now and I am not going away.” I gazed into his eyes and smiled as he kissed the tip of my nose.
“You promise?”
“I promise. I love only you, Theresa. I will love only you.” His lips captured mine and my mind floated away. As we pulled away, I laid my head upon his chest, content for the moment. I smiled as I heard him singing along.

~*~ There come a day/ When you walk out of my dreams/ Face to face/ Like I’m imagining/ Baby how can I be sure that you’re the one I’m waiting for/ Will you be (will you be)/ Unmistakable/ Unmistakable ~*~

I leaned up and kissed him one more time. He lifted me up in his arms and spun me around.
“I love you Howie,” I whispered against his lips.
“I knew I loved you. It was unmistakable.”

~*~ Unmistakable by the Backstreet Boys
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9585