Family Ties by ResaD
Summary: Theresa realized she's in love with Brian. The one and only problem, Brian is her cousin! At least, that's what she's been told. Is it true? Is what she feeling really love? Or is possible that her heart could be claimed by someone else?

_________________________________________________________


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Other
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 5551 Read: 6703 Published: 03/11/09 Updated: 03/11/09

1. Chapter 1 by ResaD

2. Chapter 2 by ResaD

3. Chapter 3 by ResaD

4. Chapter 4 by ResaD

5. Chapter 5 by ResaD

6. Chapter 6 by ResaD

Chapter 1 by ResaD
CHAPTER 1
“Babygirl?” I put down my pen and quickly turned around. My eyes lit up and I threw my arms around my cousin.
“Brian! I’m so happy to see you. I’ve missed you.”
“I missed you too babygirl.” He gave me another huge hug.
“Hey, hey now. I want to see my sister too.”
“Kevin, hey bro.” I gave him a huge hug as well. “So, how long are you guys in town for?”
“A couple weeks,” Brian said. My heart started pounding.
“Wow. That….makes me happy.”
“Are you okay girlie?” Kevin asked.
“Yeah. Just getting a little dizzy,” I said, clutching my head.
“Here, sit down babygirl.” I sat down but that did nothing to help. “You shouldn’t be doing that,” Brian said.
“I just haven’t been drinking enough fluids, that’s all.”
“And why not?”
“I’m not sure Kev. I think I’m going to bed.”
“I’ll help you up babygirl.” I offered a smile of thanks. Brian’s hand slipped around my waist and I leaned up against him as we walked up the stairs. My mind started spinning and I felt my heart beat rise yet again. He took me in my room and helped me down on the bed. “Want to change?”
“No.”
“Okay. Take a nap and we’ll go out later. Sweet dreams babygirl.” He gave me a kiss on my forehead and left. I laid there and soon the tears were falling. I was in love with my cousin! I wasn’t lightheaded or anything, I just didn’t know if I could hide my feelings for a couple weeks. A few days is different, but weeks? I sighed and curled up in a little ball. I cried myself to sleep, wishing everything was different.

“Girlie?” I opened my eyes and looked at Kevin. “You’re coming to dinner, right?” I smiled and got up.
“I’ll be right down.”
“Wait. Can I talk to you for a second?”
“Sure. Have a seat.”
“I talked to mom. She said you were perfectly fine. So, what’s going on?”
“Kevin, I’m trusting you not to repeat what I’m telling you.”
“You know it girlie.”
“I….well….I’m in love with Brian.” Kevin just stared at me than busted out laughing.
“No way Theresa. He’s your cousin.”
“Maybe.” He stopped laughing and stared.
“What do you mean ‘maybe’?”
“I talked to a lady, she says I look nothing like mom or dad.”
“And?”
“She’s a sight seer. She can see stuff. She believes I’m adopted.”
“No way.”
“Yes. I’m serious Kevin. I look like no one in this family. I act like no one.”
“That doesn’t prove anything.”
“I honestly don’t think I am.”
“Why?”
“A gut feeling. Look, I don’t want to fight about this. Let’s just go to dinner.” I sighed and climbed off the bed. He followed and we walked down stairs in silence. “Oh, hi Brian.”
“Don’t look so down.” I smiled and took the seat next to him. “Feeling better?”
“Yes, thanks.” I took a sip of tea and just tuned everyone out. Kevin and Brian took up the big part of the conversation so I wasn’t missed much. I picked at my meal, not really hungry.
“You okay Theresa?” I glanced up at my mom.
“Yeah, why?”
“Cause you hardly touched your food.”
“Oh, just not all that hungry.” I saw Kevin smirk and my mom frown.
“You know, I think the doctor was wrong. You don’t seem fine.”
“Don’t worry so much mom. I’m fine.”
“Okay sweetie.” I smiled but felt Brian looking at me. I turned in his direction and threw a smile.

I took a sip of the wine cooler and stared up at the moon-less, starry sky. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.
“Babygirl?” I turned around and saw Brian standing right behind me.
“Hey. What’s up Bri?”
“You. Are you sure you’re okay?”
“Yeah, why?”
“I’ve never seen you eat so little and drink so much.” I just glanced at him and smiled.
“You call this drinking a lot?”
“Somewhat.”
“No, I’m fine. How would you feel if we weren’t related?”
“How…what do you mean?”
“Say, I was adopted. Would you treat me differently?”
“Maybe, why do you ask?”
“Just wondering. So, how’s Leighanne?”
“Good. She’s coming up here shortly.”
“Wow. I can’t wait to see her. You guys made plans yet for your wedding?”
“A few. You know she wants you in the wedding.”
“Oh, as a bride’s maid?”
“Yeah.”
“I don’t know Brian. You know I don’t care for her too much. And you know she can’t stand me. And the only reason she wants me is cause of how close me and you are.”
“I know all that. But you won’t do it for me?” I looked at him and he was giving me his puppy dog eyes.
“Don’t use those.”
“But they always work.” He wrapped his arms around me and I leaned back on his chest.
“I know they work. It’s just not fair.”
“Hey, you have tricks to work on me.” I just laughed and enjoyed the feeling of him. “Why don’t you have a boyfriend?”
“I’m not sure. Haven’t found the right one.”
“You’re 22.”
“And your point? After Rick, I just wanted to live on my own.”
“I’m just worried about you.”
“Thanks Bri.” I leaned back and kissed his cheek. But he moved and my lips connected with his. I just pulled back and looked at him. But he caught my chin and went in for another kiss. Our lips touched again and I felt a warmth from within’. Everything felt so right, yet I knew everything was so wrong. He pulled away and I knew he felt what I was feeling. And than shock was written in both our eyes. We quickly moved away from one another.
“I think…I mean…I’m going. Bye Theresa.” He turned and walked away. I just stood there, still shocked. And it finally hit me that he called me Theresa. Something he hasn’t done in a while.
“What did I do?” I cried out.
“Girlie, where did Brian go?” Kevin asked.
“Gone. He just left.” I rushed past him and up the stairs to my room.
Chapter 2 by ResaD
CHAPTER 2
“Kevin here.”
“Kev, it’s Bri. Look, can you met me somewhere?”
“Um, the park work?”
“Fine. Be there in 10 minutes.” He quickly left and drove to the park nearest the Richardson house. He saw Brian sitting on the bench and quickly parked. Kevin shook his head, knowing he was going to be told something he didn’t like. He took the seat next to him and smiled. “What’s up?”
“I’m in love.”
“With Leighanne, I know.”
“No, with Theresa.” Kevin just stared at his cousin. He was right, he wasn’t going to like this one little bit. Although, he always knew Brian wasn’t meant for Leighanne.
“Excuse me?”
“I kissed her and it felt so right and I know it’s so wrong. Am I a complete idiot?”
“No, maybe a tad strange.”
“Kevin, I’m being serious.”
“Brian, listen very closely. Theresa is your cousin, and will always be your cousin. If you love her, I suggest you stop spending so much time with her and put this infatuation at an end.”
“You think that’s all this is?”
“It has to be Bri. She’s your cousin, that’s just not right and you know it! Besides, you’re all but married to Leighanne as it is.”
“You don’t have to remind me you know.”
“Yes, I do because it seems you can’t get it stuck in your head at all. Leave Theresa alone.”
“You’re right. She’s family, I can’t fall for family. Besides, Leighanne…I love her.”
“Right, very right.” Kevin leaned back against the bench and sighed, knowing that Leighanne wasn’t right for his cousin, but he just couldn’t see Theresa and Brian together. It was odd, too awkward.

Two days had passed and I could breath a little easier. Brian hadn’t come around at all and that was great. I mean, I knew he needed to be with his mom and all, I couldn’t hog all his time. I threw the basketball in frustration up and made the basket with no problem.
“Nice shot.” I froze. That voice, it was coming back to haunt me, it had to be.
“Thanks Bri.”
“Look, I came by to see Kevin, is he around?”
“He’s in the house, writing some new song or other.”
“Doesn’t he know that a break is a break?” I rolled my eyes at Brian and shook my head.
“You know Kev better than that.” I threw the ball up and made another shot.
“Um, Theresa,” I stopped in mid shot, my heart pounding, “Leighanne wanted to know when you could try on some dresses. She wants to start getting them ready, since the wedding will be in two months.” I closed my eyes and prayed for the tears not to fall.
“Whenever she wants me to Bri. It’s not like I do a whole lot, ya know.”
“No websites to update?”
“The Backstreet Boys are on break, so no, not much to report to the little ol’ fans.” He laughed and left me alone, my heart heavy and my head full of thoughts. I needed another man to have, to love. Brian was not going to work, no matter how much I believed I was adopted.

“You okay?” I glanced up and into blue eyes.
“Well, if it isn’t Mr. Carter. And what do I owe for this pleasure?”
“Grumpy, aren’t ya?”
“Stuff it zit face.” He laughed and shook his head.
“You are grumpy when you don’t get want you want.”
“And that is?”
“Brian.” I stopped eating and turned to look at him.
“How did you know?”
“Oh, for crying out loud, I am your friend, right?”
“Eh, sometimes, when it suits my needs.”
“Smart ass aren’t ya?”
“But of course.”
“Anyway, back to the subject at hand…why Brian?”
“Nick, you can never explain what your heart wants, it just does. Trust me, I wish it wasn’t him. I wish I could fall in love with someone else, but I’m telling you, I can’t. I still want to know how you know?”
“I watch you when he’s around. You just sorta…melt, I guess. No one else has picked up on it though, so don’t worry, okay?”
“What would you do if you were me?”
“First of all I wouldn’t be falling in love with no cousin, Second, if I couldn’t stop it, I would think of a way to prove I’m not related, and than third. Yes, third would be to find a way to make that person love me back.”
“You think I’m crazy for thinking I’m adopted?”
“Not at all. You look nothing like the rest of the Richardson’s and you don’t act like Kevin. That does make a big difference.”
“Thank you Nick. I suppose you do have your smart moments.”
“Eh, I do try. Listen, if you want to talk to someone, either Age or Howie works. They both have some odd connections that can help you if you really want to prove you’re not related.” I leaned over the table and gave Nick a hug.
“You can be the greatest help.” He smiled and leaned back against the bench
Chapter 3 by ResaD
CHAPTER 3
“Hmm, if I move this there, that frees up that space and it looks so much better.”
“Who are you talking to?” I glanced up from my computer and straight into Brian’s eyes.
“No one, just thinking out loud. What are you up to?”
“It’s been three days since I last saw you, just wanted to see what you were up to?”
“Working. I got some ideas to change the site and started to work before I forgot. Leighanne not keeping tabs?”
“No, should she be?”
“We all know how you like to get into trouble. Sides, isn’t it sorta late for you to be out?”
“Actually, I had wanted to talk to you. You want to go outside?”
“Yeah, some fresh air would be great.” I stretched my back before I followed him outside. I needed every last ounce of strength for whatever he had coming at me. “What’s up, Bri.”
“Actually, you. I need to apologize for that kiss the other night. I was out of line and not sure exactly what made me do it.” I tried to chuckle, but knew it would only get worse. “I love Leignanne and I really want to marry her. And I would want nothing more than for you to be happy and to be there.” I turned back and walked over to the bench. He certainly wasn’t going to make it easy for me. “I realize you may not want to do it, but since we’re best friends, I really had hoped you would do it cause I wanted you there. I wanted to you be there for me on one of my happiest moments. And on top of that, I would really love for us to be close again.” I felt him sit down next to me and he placed his hand over mine. Damn him! But fine, if he wanted nothing to do to me like that, than it was time I found someone else who wanted my love.
“For you Bri, I’ll do it for you.”
“Great!” He gave me a big hug before he hightailed back inside the house in search of Kevin.
“Hey Theresa. You seen Bri or Kevin?”
“They’re both inside Alex.”
“You okay girlie?”
“Not really, but I’ll be fine.”
“Don’t lie to me. What’s on your mind darlin’?” He sat down next to me and I leaned my head on his shoulder.
“Ever love someone you weren’t supposed to. And you had hoped you could convince ‘em that it was right, yet they just refused?”
“Can’t say that I have. Brian dead set on marrying Leighanne and tossing your love aside huh?”
“Damn, does everyone know?”
“Those of us who have eyes. Listen, if he’s not willing to see, than he’s not worth your time or love. Find someone who’s better, stronger, and able to love you back.”
“Thank you. And I do know, it’s just…”
“It’s not easy to make your heart love one and not another.”
“Right.” He rubbed my shoulder, letting me have the strength of him. I looked up at him and he smiled. I gave him a quick peck to thank him, but for the life of me, I didn’t know why I couldn’t pull away. His lips felt so soft, and the kiss was so tender. Finally, I pulled away and sighed, and than saw Brian step up behind Alex.
“Ready man?” Alex jumped up and beamed down at me before he followed Brian. I let out a deep breath, more confused, for I could have sworn Brian looked really pissed off.

Two days later, I was at the bridal shop, wanting nothing more than to kill Leighanne. Of course, the color for her wedding just had to be pink, the one color I couldn’t stand. I looked that way and this way to figure out why the hell she would pick such a hideous color. I looked horrible in it, which actually may have been why.
“Aren’t you almost ready?” I walked out of the dressing room and did a turn in front of Alex. He busted out laughing, almost spilling his soda. “Why the hell is she making you wear pink?”
“Who the hell knows! It pisses me off though cause I hate pink, and she knows it. And secondly, I look horrible in pink.”
“Well,” he walked around me, checking me out at every angle, “the color really highlights your color. And the dress does define certain assests.”
“Oh, stuff it!”
“Hey now, I’m just a gentleman admiring a lady’s beautiful form.” I rolled my eyes before I pulled up my hair, mentally killing Leighanne. I felt Alex get closer and felt his breath against the back of my neck before his lips caressed the tender area. I squirmed away, laughing.
“Come on, I gotta get some food.” I went back into the dressing room. I stopped at the door and turned around to Alex. “No, you have to go wait outside mister!” He pouted but went back into the main room. I quickly changed, grabbed my purse and went to Alex. His arm slipped around my waist and we headed out, bumping into Brian and Leighanne and her maid of honor.
“Oh, hey you all.”
“Hey Alex, Theresa.”
“Thanks for picking out wonderful dresses Leighanne. It looks wonderful.”
“Oh, I’m glad you like them Theresa.” I threw the party a smile before we walked out. I turned and saw Brian watching us, a frown appearing on his face. Mentally, I was happy. Now, I wasn’t using Alex. We weren’t a couple, just friends who loved to flirt. Besides, he got my mind off Brian and he knew this.
Chapter 4 by ResaD
CHAPTER 4
Brian stepped into the room, watching Kevin work on his latest song. He walked over to the piano and Kevin glanced up.
“Hey Bri. What’s going on?”
“I came by to talk to Theresa. Is she here?”
“Nah man. She’s at AJ’s, I believe. Nick got them hooked on some game and they’re determined to beat it.”
“Does it worry you that she’s spending all this time with Age?” Kevin frowned for a moment and shook his head.
“Is there a reason that I should be worried?”
“It’s AJ, womanizer and flirt.”
“They’re just friends, Brian. Why are you getting all worked up over it?”
“I’m not. I just don’t want to see any trouble.” Kevin rested his arms on the top of the piano and raised an eyebrow in question.
“Now, I know you pretty damn well. This thing with Alex and Theresa really has you worked up, why?”
“I just…I don’t know. Remember that talk we head?” At Kevin’s nod, Brian went on. “I talked to the Theresa, told her that there could never be anything between us, and the kiss was just a mistake.”
“Smart move. And did she rant and rave?”
“No, she just took it. Like it didn’t bother her.”
“Ah, and now that’s she spending time with Age, you’re getting jealous?”
“Not jealous. Okay, maybe a little.”
“Brian, don’t start this again. You really need to get her out of your head. If it means cutting off the friendship, than I suggest you do it. If she dates Alex, Howie, Nick or any other man, you can not let it get to you. You’re marrying Leighanne in less than two months. Stop with this foolishness.”
“You’re right, I know this. I can’t help my feelings though.”
“Brian, for your sake, you really better learn how.” Brian sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He knew Kevin was right, he couldn’t be feeling like this. But the few times he caught them together, it nearly killed him inside.

“Damn it Alex, you keep getting me killed. I won’t let you play this game anymore if you keep it up.” AJ barely missed the punch that was coming at his arm.
“I’m sorry. Let’s take a break from the game. My eyes are going opposite ways.” I laughed and threw the controller on the table, agreeing with him. I leaned back against the couch and sighed as I felt AJ’s hands massaging my neck.
“You’re good.” He chuckled and I felt his lips brush my neck. I let out a deep sigh, as his lips moved along my neck. After a few moments, his lips found mine and a soul searching kiss rendered me speechless. It certainly wasn’t hard for me to forget Brian when I was with Alex. And no, I wasn’t using him. In fact, I was really starting to fall for him. I shifted my position and laid down on the couch, enjoying the weight of Alex on top. His eyes locked with mine and a smile took over his lips.
“Keep it up darlin’, and it might lead us down a road we’re not ready to take.”
“Oh, who says we’re not ready to take it.” He slowly started to lean back, confusion clouding his eyes. “No, you think wrong Alex. I’m not using you, honestly. Brian is truly the furthest thing from my mind. When I’m with you, all I can think about is wanting to be closer to you.” I pressed my lips against his, trying to prove the point. He groaned and laid me back down on the couch, raising my tank top up over my head and casting it aside. His eyes sparkled as he took in my form and I smiled to myself. No, I most certainly wasn’t a virgin, but to have eyes appreciate was truly a glorious feeling. His lips brushed along the top of my bra, driving my crazy with desire. I slid my nails down his back, making him groan against my lips. I lifted his shirt up, tossed it next to mine, and ran my nails down his chest. I leaned up for his kiss, hearing a door bell ring. I blinked for a moment, not really believing it, but than I heard Alex swear and knew someone was paying a visit. He left the couch and walked over to the front door.
“Hey Brian, what’s going on man?” I rolled my eyes and jumped off the couch. Brian was really working a nerve with his hot and cold feelings. If he saw me half naked at Alex’s house, I wasn’t going to care. I had just turned around when I saw Brian right by the couch.
“I needed to talk to Theresa.”
“You found me. Start talking.”
“Actually, I was hoping for a little more privacy and you not half naked.” I glanced at Alex, who had a huge smirk on his face.
“You get what you get. What’s going on Brian, what was so important?”
“The dress shop called, said something happened to the dress and you needed to come down as soon as possible.” I narrowed my eyes, not buying that sorry excuse at all. If he was telling the truth, he wouldn’t have needed privacy for that.
“Okay. Sorry Alex, I guess I have to go to the shop. Wanna give me a lift?”
“I gotta head over there to pick up Jolene’s gown. I’ll take you.” I lifted a shoulder. I grabbed my tank top, gave Alex a quick kiss and walked over to Brian’s car. After a few moments, Brian finally exploded. “What the hell was going on?”
“None of your damn business.”
“Bull shit. I’m your cousin and your friend.”
“And that gives you what right to ask questions?”
“Every right. Do you know what AJ does? He uses them! It’s like a game to him.”
“Really? When he started dating all his ex’s, did you tell them the same thing? No, I didn’t think so. So, why the fuck are you giving me this lecture?”
“Because you were about to screw him!”
“And that matters to you why?”
“Because I love you!” I was taken back by that comment. For all the reasons to hear, that was the last one I thought I would get. And he looked like a ghost, which told me that he never should have said that.
“Brian, if you felt that way, why the hell did you let me go?”
“We wouldn’t work out Theresa. We’re cousins. Even if you are adopted, it doesn’t change things. You’re still my best friend and we still grew up together.”
“I see. And it sounds like Kevin talked to you. So, let me repeat what he told you. Let your feelings go. You already showed me you don’t want me, but you’re not gonna play that game that if you can’t have me, no one will. I like Alex, Brian. Be happy that I can like someone.” I got of his car and slammed the door behind me. Luckily, he was so upset, he hadn’t realized he had takin’ me to my house and not the dress shop.
Chapter 5 by ResaD
CHAPTER 5
“Howie, what are you doing?”
“Just watching a little TV, why chica?”
“Can I come over and talk to you?”
“Of course. I’ll be waiting.”
“Thanks D.” I hung up my phone and grabbed my car keys. As I walked out to the car, I saw Kevin pull up. I knew that I shouldn’t be upset at him, but I really couldn’t help it. “Hey Kevin, the next time you want to interfere with my life, how about asking me first?”
“What in the world are you talking about?”
“Brain, you son of a bitch. Thanks to you, both he and I are totally confused. Right now, and in the near future, I suggest you stay out of my path for I could really hurt you!” I got into my car, slamming the door behind me. I tore out of the driveway and sped all the way to D’s house.

“Let me get this straight. You believe you’re adopted, fell in love with Brian and now have feelings for Alex?”
“Yeah D, that about sums it up.”
“You’ve been busy.” I threw the pillow at him, needing to vent my frustration. “T, tell me something. Brian told you he loved you. Do you still love him?”
“Not completely. I swear I’m not using Alex; I really like him and truly want to be with him. But, I have loved Bri for so long, it’s not easy to stop loving him.”
“Would you be able to stop if you knew you were adopted?”
“I’m not sure. Even if I am, I would still consider both Kevin and Brian family.”
“Honey, if that’s the case, than you know you can’t really have true feelings for Brian.”
“Than what the hell am I feeling?”
“You could love him. It’s not impossible, you know. I just think you let that feeling morph into something more. I feel that if you spent more time with Alex, you’ll forget about your feelings for Brian all together.” I chewed on my bottom lip, thinking over what he had said and agreed. Brian had said he wanted to keep our friendship, and I couldn’t have agreed more. Which meant I had to be there to support him in his marriage, no matter how much I hated Leighanne. And as for Alex, if he wanted more, I was willing to give him more.

“This is the last fitting, right?” I glared over at Alex and waited for the young woman to make the small changes to the gown. I smoothed if over my stomach, finally deciding I didn’t hate the dress as much as I had started out with. Part of that anger stemmed from the fact that I was jealous and really had no right to be.
“Okay, Ms. Richardson, all done.” I shifted in the mirror, happy with the way it looked. It wasn’t a light pink, rather a darker shade.
“You do look beautiful. It sucks, though, that I won’t be walking down the aisle with you.”
“Ah, don’t pout. I have to walk with my brother, so I’m sorry. Voice all your complainants to Brian; he’s the one who arranged it.” Alex laughed, resting his hands upon my hips.
“I get the first dance though, right?” I leaned back against his chest and nodded my head.
“You know that.” I have him a brief kiss before I walked back into dressing room to change. Within a few minutes, I was walking back outside, cringing as I saw Brian talking to Alex. It had been a couple of days and I hadn’t talked to him. No, I wasn’t avoiding him…okay, I was. I didn’t know what to say him.
“Hey baby girl. I was hoping to find you here. I had wanted to talk to you.” I glanced quickly at AJ before I walked outside with Brian.
“What’s on your mind Brian?”
“us. What I said the other day, was really uncalled for. I apologize for saying it.”
“Did you mean it Brian?”
“I’m not…no, I didn’t. I was hurt and confused, and said stuff that wasn’t right.”
“In that case, forget about it. Leave it at the fact that we’ll be friends, cousins, and nothing more.”
“I suppose that’s all I have to ask for.” I smiled at him.
“That kiss meant nothing, the words meant nothing. You love Leighanne, are planning on marrying her in less than a month. Don’t let some stupid little emotion stop something you want.”
“Do you want me to marry her?” I looked deep into his eyes and could have sworn that he wanted me to tell him that marrying her was wrong, that it should be me. But being with Alex, I didn’t want to be with Brian. D was right, just a feeling morphed into something more.
“It’s not my choice. I don’t liker her, you know this. I really wished she didn’t belong to this family, but it’s your decision, not mine, nor Kevin’s, nor anyone else who dislikes her.” He nodded his head, accepting what I had said, or didn’t say.
“Are you happy with AJ?” I glanced threw the glass and saw Alex leaning back along the wall.
“Yeah, I am. It took me a while to let my feelings go, but when they did, I felt absolutely wonderful.”
“Then I suggest you keep him. He’s a great man.”
“Yes, he is.” Brian gave me a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek. He got in his car and waved as Alex walked out of the store.
Chapter 6 by ResaD
CHAPTER 6
I walked down the aisle on Kevin’s arm, smiling at all the people who attended Bri’s wedding. I glanced up at him and offered him a smile and he threw one back, looking rather nervous yet happy. Although, I did not believe that she would make him happy forever. At least for now, she did. I smiled at Kevin as he let me go and I stepped along with the other bridesmaids. After Kevin and I, it was Alex and one of Leighanne’s friends. I followed him, falling more in love with him. He was stunning in his tux, making all the other ladies swoon. He threw a wink and a smile in my direction, making the few ladies around me, mad. Finally, Leighanne walked down and the ceremony began.

After all the pictures were takin, we all headed off to the reception. We all gathered at the head table and offered our toasts and well wishes. Shortly there after, Alex was pulling out my chair and taking me onto the dance floor.
“Um,” I glanced around, seeing all eyes upon us, “the bride and groom are supposed to have the first dance.”
“Nah, I already asked Brian for that honor.”
“Age, you’re a dork.”
“True. But, damn it, I’m claiming the first dance.” He smiled and drew me closer for a kiss. I melted in his embrace. He was such an amazing guy and I was willing to throw it away for Brian. Alas, everything happens for a reason, and now I can see that Brian was merely a stepping stone to AJ.
After two more songs, Alex finally took me back to my seat, although, Kevin had another idea and pulled me back on the dance floor.
“Tell me what changed your mind.” I glanced up at him and smiled. Even if I was adopted, which I had finally asked and I was, I couldn’t look at Brian or Kevin different. Kev was still my pain in the ass brother and Bri was still my cousin, who’s ass I kicked in basketball.
“I realized that even though I might not have been born into this family, nothing is stronger than family ties.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9640