Her Smile by Kristina
Summary: The summer was bad enough, but who knew it would get worse when one tragic event happened that would twist Christina's life upside down. Now a friend is reaching out to her, trying to help her in anyway possible, but can he?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2564 Read: 3953 Published: 09/22/03 Updated: 10/04/03

1. Thunderbolts by Kristina

2. Popcorn, Sodas, and a cheater. by Kristina

3. Bells and Dinner by Kristina

Thunderbolts by Kristina
As the thunder clapped and the lightning struck, everything seemed to be falling to pieces. The house was unusually quiet. Christina jumped as a loud clap of thunder sounded close by. First her parents went away for the summer and sent her to father to stay with her grandparents when they returned from their trip to Hawaii. To make matters wose, she had found out the day before leaving that her boyfriend, Matthew, was cheating on her, and with her best friend.
She sat her luggage down by the door and walked further into the house. She walked into the kitchen, its eloquent decore indicated that her grandparents were undenaibly rich. The white room was finned with shiny cooking utensils, brand new pots hanging from above the stove, which sat in the middle of the kitchen on an island. It was all to beautiful. The sink overlooked a rose garden at the side of the house, and the shiny silver refrigerator added even more light to the room. Looking at her image on the refrigerators surface, she noticed how horrible she looked. But what was she supposed to look like, after all she had been cheated on! What was she supposed to be doing, jumping up and down, hooting and hollaring?
She turned her back to her image and noticed a crisp white envelope on the bar with her name enscribed in her grandmothers' hand-writing. She opened it and the first thing she saw was five brand new one-hundred dollar bills. She took in a deep breath before pulling out the sheet of paper that held her grandmothers' words and insturctions to her.


Christina
Hi sweetheart. I'm sorry that your grandfather and I are not there. I hope and pray you arrive safely. We will be back hopefully at the end of the week. I know that you have been never been here so you won't know your way around. Across the street there is a woman by the name of Jane Carter. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask. She knows you're here and has volunteered to help. She should be checking up on you later in the day after you've arrived. The money in the envelope is for you. Use it to your hearts content. Go shoppping or go to a movie, but just have fun while we're not there. Well my dear, your grandfather and I shall see you when we return.

Love you sweetheart
Grandma

p.s. Your bedroom is at the top of the stairs, second door on the right.


She layed the letter back down on the bar and went back through the house to the front door where her luggage was. She grabbed two of the suitcases and walked with them over to the steps. She sat them down for a sedcond and took a deep breath in before lifting the heavy things.

'Ding Dong'

She looked back at the door with a puzzled expression on her face. It was still raining outside and she coulnd' imagine anyone being out in this soppy weather. She walked back to the door and peekd through the peep-hole. She noticed a tall you guy with striking blue eyes and drenched blonde hair. He was trying to shield himself from the rain by pushing himself as close to the door as her could.
She slowly opened the door, just enough to stick her head and half her body through.
"Uh, Hi, Can I help you? She asked looking up at him. He was obviously five inches taller than she was.
"Hi, I'm Nicek. I live across the street. My mom sent me over here."
"Why."
"She noticed you just got home and Edna told us you would be here today."
"Oh." She really didn't haev a response. She thought the letter said that a woman would be coming by, but instead she got him.
"So is everything fine, do you need anything?"
"Not that I can think of." A loud thunderbolt sounded nearby, causing her to jump and grip the doorknow tighter.
"Are you okay?" Nick asked, concerned and curious.
"Yea, its just I really don't like thunderstorms." To prove her point another sounded close again and she once again jumped. He chuckled lightly.
"Well, if you want to, you're more than welcomed to come over to my place, there's a lot of people over there and all the commotion might distract you from the storm, or if you would like, I could stay and keep you company."
"Well I still have to unpack, but if you'd like, you can come inside."
"Thanks." He released a sigh of relief. Finally out of the rain he was cold and wet. A feeling he hated. He noticed the suitcases on the landing of the stairs and volunteered to carry them up. She let him help her and the two of them whisked them into her new room.
"You've got the best room in the entire place." He commented.
"Really, why is that?"
"It's the biggest, and plus it has a balcony."
She walked over to the double doors that lead to the balcony and looked at the view. It was an ocean view, but it was still lovely. "Hey, isn't that your house?" She questioned.
"Yep, that's the Carter clan." He laughed.
"Well thanks for helping me carry these over here."
"Your welcome." There was an uncomfortable silence that parted the air. "So how long will you be staying." He asked, struggling to make conversation.
"Proabably all summer, I'm really not that sure."
"Have you ever been to Florida?"
"Nope, this is my first time."
"What do you think so far?"
"It rains too much." This sent him laughing again.
"It gets better, I promise."
"I hope so."
The two continued talking for a few hours. They'd discovered they had a few things in common and had all ready started to develope a friendship. They found out each others' age, he 19, and she 18. The found out some of their likes and dislikes in music. His obsession with Journey and hers with Jon Bon Jovi. Pretty soon, he realized it was time for him to get back to his humble abode and bid a good afternoon to Christina, befoere running back through the rain over to his house.
Popcorn, Sodas, and a cheater. by Kristina
*That Night*

Christina was walking through the house, taking in her new surroundings. Her mind was wondering from one thing to another, hardly concentrating on one thing. She missed Matthew, but knew she couldn't go back to him, no matter how much she wanted to. The asshole had to cheat on her. It woul dhave been better if it was someone she didn't know, but she funckin' best friend! How low could the two stoop. The thought made her sick!

'Ring Ring.... Ring Ring'

Although the phone was ringing, she could barely hear it. It was bring back memories, painful memories of when she found out about Matthew and Jessica.
One of her best friends, Erica, had called her and asked her if she wanted to go to the moview for a girls night out. After must persuasion from Erica, Christina agreed to go. Erica picked her up in her Navy Blue Mustnag. They went downtown to the Central Moview Theatre where they grabbed their tickets, popcorn, sodas, a quick candy fix, and found their seats in the very back of the theatre.
The beginng of the movie was great, but towards the middle a couple in front of them started making out.
"Gosh, why don't they get a room. They're nearly sucking each others' face off." Erica whispered, making Christina laugh.
"Oh Erica leave them alone. It's obvious they like each other a lot. We can move up infront of them if you want,"
Erica was silenced when she saw the guy's face. "Uh oh." She said out loud, but quickly covered her mouth with her hand, praying Christina hadn't heard her.
"Uh Oh what." The girl to her left questioned, wondering what Erica had done now, she probably spilled her popcore knowing how clutzy she could be at times. She turned towards Erica expecting to see a turned over bowl, but instead something caught her eyes.
It was the same couple making out but now she was able to see the guy's face. The guy made eye contact with her about the same time realization dawned on her. His expression changed to one of complete shock and terror. Christina's mouth was wide open in disbelief, and her eyes were all ready starting to get misty.
"Christina, maybe we should leave." Erica said in a sympathetic tone.
All Christina could do was nod her head. They got up and slowly walked out into the middle of the theatre lobby.
"Christina wiat! Let me explain!" The familar voice was racing towards her.
Christina whipped around and saw Matthew running towards her and Jessica close behind.
"Explain! You want to explain! Wha... How could you?!? Why?!? And with all people, with my best friend!?!? How can you explain that.... huh?!?"
"I couldn't tell you, I didn't want you to get hurt. I didn't know how to tell you."
"How could you, was eleven months nothing to you... nothing! How could you."
"I don't know.... I'm sorry."
"Sorry won't work with me!... And you!" She trned around to Jessica, pointing her finger at her. "You're supposed to be my best friend. How could you do this to me?"
Jessica opened her mouth to speak, but was silenced when Christina started yelling again. "I can't believe either of you! Come on Erica let's go, I can't stand to see these two anymore." She stormed out of there in a raging fit. The small crowd in the lobby dared not make a sound as they watched her retreating form.
Erica obdediently followed, but occasionally looked back to give Matthew and Jessica an evil look. The nerve of those two.
Bells and Dinner by Kristina
The doorbell was ringing, and like earlier, Christina looked at the door with a puzzled expression. She wasn't expecting anybody, and she hadn't ordered a pizza, all though that sounded like a really good idea. She casually walked to the door and opened to it, revealing the same guy that was standing in the same position earilier, except the last time, he was wet from the pouring rain. Now he was dry and one could easily see the baby soft blond hair.
"Hey Christina." he greeted giving her a polite smile.
"Hey Nick, what's up?" She questioned, wondering what he was doing over at, she glanced at her watch, eight o'clock.
"Mom sent me over to ask you if you would like to join us for dinner. She had called, but you weren't answering the phone, so here I am." He chuckled.
"I didn't even here it, sorry, I must have just dozed off. I would love to join you all for dinner, just let me go change."
"No, its okay, you look fine." He said looking down at his feet. She thought he looked so adorable at that moment of vulnerability.
"Thanks." She smiled, her own cheeks rosey.
When they arrived at the Carter house across the street, it was evident that the place was a very active house. Noises could be heard from each corner of the lovely home.
"Mom, Edna's grand-daughter, Christina, is here!" he shouted, not really sure where the woman was.
"Coming, jeez Nick, you don't have to scream at me, I was just in the kitchen." She said walking through a hallway that lead to the entrance hall. "Hi sweethear, I'm Jane." She said extending her hand out.
Christina shook her hand with a shy smile on her face. "There's no need to be all quiet hon, I promise we don't bite, and even if we did, we've all had our Rabie shots." Jane joked, causing Christina to laugh. "There' now that's better... KIDS, DINNER'S READY!" She hollared. Within minutes they were joined by four other kids and who appeared to be the Father of the family.
"Gotcha!" the dad said as he lifted a younger girl with brown hair up onto his right shoulder.
"Daddy, put me down." The girl squealed.
"Bob, put Angel down, now!" Jane instructed.
"Thanks mom." the girl smiled, and then she glanced at Christina. "Hi." She whispered, turning shy herself. Christina smiled at her.
"Hey Nick!" the young boy shouted, "Is this you new girl?" He looked abou the same age as Angel, but all was confusing to Christina now.
"No Aaron, this is Christina, Edna's grand-daughter." If it wasn't rude to laugh, Christina would have bursted out at that moment when the young boy aturned embarassed.
"Oh, I'm sorry for being rude." Nick stated, putting his hand on her back, directing her towards the family. "This is Angel," he said pointing to the girl that had been hoisted on her dad's shoulder. "This is Aaron, Angel's twin brother." he said pointing to the boy that had asked the quesion. "This is Leslie." he said pointing to a girl in the corner who smiled when mentioned. "This is B.J." he poined to a girl with blonde hair. "And you've met mom, so thios is Bob, my dad." He said pointing to a tall guy with light blond hair.
"It's nice to meet you all." She smiled.
"All right, let's eat." Jane announced.
Everyone walked into the kitche, when Christina trailing behind. Nick noticed, and turn around and grabbed her hand and pulled her along into the kitchen. Aaron, being ver polite gentleman, pulled her chair out for her, which was strategically placed beside him. Nick was to her left and Aaron on her right. Who knew those two were similar. Throughout the entire dinner the two would stop non-stop about their favorite things and the quizzed her on the same subjects she had asked them to share.
"So Christina, where are you from? Aaron had asked with a mouth full of potatoes.
"Aaron! Close your mouth, you know better than that!" Jane said slapping him on his arm with her napkin.
"Sorry," he gulped down the rest and repeated his questions of 'where do you live?'
"North Carolina."
"So, that explains the accent." He was just full of questions. She nodded in resonse.
"So why are you down here?" Leslie asked.
"My parents sent me to stay here with my grand-parents for the summer. They're going on a trip to Europe for the summer."
"But aren't your grandparents away too?" B.J. asked.
"Yes they are, but the'll be back in about a week. They went to France to meet up with my parents. I went ahead and decided to come down here and get settled."
"So how do you like Florida so far?" Jane asked.
"It's okay I guess, very different from home."
For the rest of the dinner it was just casual conversation between the large group.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=992