- Text Size +
“Thank you,” Julia told Elizabeth as she helped her get dressed. “But I am well now sister,” she gave her older sister a smile.

“I am glad you are better,” Elizabeth told her sister as she helped her with her hair. “Now think of it this way sister after tonight’s dinner you will actually leave here with us.”

“I know that is the only reason why I am smiling,” Julia said in dishonesty…the truth was she was actually hoping to see Mr. McLean as well. Because since her horrible attitude the last time he ever went into the room she was staying in, she had not seen him. Of course Miss Caroline had told her about his sadness because of her behavior. But was she ready to admit that Mr. McLean made her feel things she had not felt before? Her brother already knew, but could she let everyone else know?

“Julia? Are you sure you are well?” Elizabeth asked her as she looked at her sister with concern.

“I am fine…just a little excited for our brother. I still cannot believe he has already asked for Caroline’s hand in marriage and that Mrs. McLean accepted.” Julia’s smile brighten at the mention of her brother…he deserved to be happy.

“I know, to think father almost hated me for not marrying Mr. McLean. But now he still gets to be related to the family thanks to his son. I am sure by now father has received the wonderful news,” Elizabeth said as she kissed her younger sister’s forehead.

“So how do I look?” Julia asked as she stood up to show off her new dress.

“It’s gorgeous… you look almost royal. The deep red accentuates you pale skin.” Elizabeth said as she looked herself over in the staring glass.

“You look beautiful yourself,” Julia told her sister just as there was a knock on the door. “Come in,” Julia said as she walked toward the door.

“Wow, you look lovely,” Nicholas told his sister as he hugged her. “You too Elizabeth,” he said as he saw his other sister.

“Yes you both do look wonderful,” Howard said walking in. “Now we must go,” he said as he kissed his wife’s hand.

*********

“Well that was a wonderful dinner was it not?” Mrs. McLean asked as her son helped her out of her chair. “Lets all go to the common room, Caroline can play us a nice song on the piano forte.”

“Yes mother I would love too,” Caroline said as she walk with Nicholas by her side. “But only if Miss Julia plays one too,” she gave Julia a smile as she said it.

“Yes Julia you must your quite good at the piano forte,” Nicholas said agreeing with his now fiancée.

She wanted to say no but she always had trouble saying no to her brother, “I have no choice do I?” she asked as she finally dared to stare at a very quiet Alexander.

“Well then it is settled…Mary please bring us some tea as well,” Ordered Mrs. McLean to her servant.

“Since you are our guest Julia you should go first…” said Caroline as she guided Julia to the very elegant piano forte.

“If you insist,” Julia said as she took a seat and sighed before she began.

Julia played like an angel on the piano forte so of course everyone was in trance as she gracefully played it, till the sudden knock that brought in two strangers to Julia and her family. “Wow that was a lovely piece I thought that was Miss Caroline playing,” said Mrs. Pier said as she walked in with a younger woman behind her.

“Oh, my Mrs. Pier please come in join us for tea. I should have remembered that Alexander had told me of your plans to come to London. Please come have a seat…I would love to present you to Mr. Carter my daughter’s soon to be husband. The lovely lady that was playing the piano forte harmoniously is his younger sister Julia. I know you remember Mr. Dorough, Alexander’s friend but, now I must present to you his lovely wife Elizabeth also Mr. Carter’s sister.” Mrs. McLean was elated to have such party of important people at her house.

“It is very nice to meet you all… right Victoria?” Mrs. Pier said as she turned to look at her daughter.

“Yes indeed mother,” she then smiled and turned to face Alexander that was sitting quietly just staring at Julia play. “How do you do Alexander?” she asked as she took a seat.

“Mrs. and Miss Pier,” Alexander said finally turning his attention to her.

Nicholas had seen the sudden change in his sister’s face. After all Miss Pier was her competition, not a good one but she was. “My dear Caroline you must play now I want to hear you play the piano forte,” he said as he gave his younger sister a weak smile.

“Yes, please do Miss Caroline I am quite fond of your playing,” Victoria said as she gave Caroline a very fake smile.

“If you insist…” Caroline said as she walked to the piano forte giving Julia a warm smile. “You were wonderful,” she told her as she took her place.

******

Miss Julia was quite happy to be out of the McLean house and at her sisters again. That night had been horrid for her and she had come to loathe Miss Pier. She hated everything about her including her French accent “I hate the French,” she sighed as she looked out the window.

“I do too,” Caroline said as she walked in.

“Caroline, I am sorry I did not know you were here.” Julia said as she turned to face her.

“Well I ca not stand being at home with Miss Pier…so I came to invite you in to town.” Caroline said as she smiled at her...