- Text Size +
Two weeks later Julia was ready to head back home to Bayshore. Since Miss Pier’s arrival her visit to London had turned to a miserable one. Today was no exception she was stuck walking with Miss Pier and Caroline in the garden. “Yes I am thank you,” Julia answered to Caroline’s question.

“To think that soon we will be related,” Caroline told Julia giving her a smile.

“Well I believe soon we will all be connected, I have no doubts you brother feels the same way I feel for him Caroline. He is such a handsome man,” Victoria said as she joined in the conversation.

Caroline stopped smiling and looked at Julia with a look telling her not to believe Victoria, “I really have not seen such connection,” she told Victoria giving her a weak smile.

“I really think we should head back inside,” Julia said nervously as she saw the look on Victoria’s face after Caroline’s comment. “It looks like rain is coming,” she pointed to the sky which was quickly turning grey.

“I suppose your right,” Caroline said as she began to walk back to her home. The walk to the house was silent and she had not notice she had left both Julia and Victoria behind.

“Congratulations,” Julia told Victoria to break the silence that accompanied them. “I am sure Mr. McLean will make you very happy,” she told her giving her a smile.

“Thank you, it is still not official but I can feel it you know. We have known each other for quite a long time, I know Mrs. McLean agrees. I am a very suitable wife for her son; he needs someone with great contacts in society. My father has that…I really am the best wife for him.” Victoria said with excitement and was loving all the bragging she giving.

Finally they had made it to the entrance and there stood Caroline with both Mr. Carter and Mr. McLean. Julia curtsied and stood beside her brother. “I thought you were playing billiards?”

“Well I was till I realized I cannot beat Mr. Alexander, he plays really well.” Nicholas told his sister as he vowed to Miss Pier who was standing close to Mr. McLean. “I think we must head back home Julia.”

“Why so soon?” Caroline asked as she smiled at her fiancé.

“My sister will not let me take Julia out anymore if I continue to take her for long periods of time. Elizabeth likes to spend some time with her too.” He told Caroline as he kissed her hand. “I will see you soon, Mr. McLean see you later, and Miss Pier you have a nice day.” Nicholas said as he vowed to them all.

Julia curtsied and gladly took her brother’s arm, “It was nice having brunch with you all.”

“Wait I will walk you to the coach, Caroline and Miss Pier head back in before it begins to rain.” Alexander said as he walked down the stone steps to join Nicholas and Julia. “Nicholas I was meaning to ask you if you and of course Miss Julia would like join our family to Lime this weekend. We are going for sole entertainment,” Mr. McLean asked as he looked at Julia.

“Well thank you for the invitation Alexander and I will gladly accept but first we must speak to our sister Elizabeth about Julia since she is in charge of her while she is in London.” Nicholas told him as he saw the way he looked at his sister.

“Oh I have spoken to Howard and they will join us as well,” Alexander said as he gave them a conquering smile.

“Well we will definitely join your family then sir,” Nicholas said as he faced Alexander. “Oh my I forgot my hat, I will be right back. Do you mind waiting here with my sister while I go back for my hat?” Nicholas asked with a smirk on his face. Without waiting for a response he walked away.

“Do you actually think he forgot his hat? Or was it a mere excuse to see my sister?” Alexander asked Julia who was now looking at the ground. “Am I making you nervous?”

“No not at all Sir,” Julia answered as she finally looked up to him. “On the contrary Sir you are quite friendly and I love your company just as much as Miss Caroline’s.” Julia told Mr. McLean as she gave him a smile.

“Is that all you see in me Miss Julia? Friendship?” Alexander asked as he got closer to her, so close he could smell her…she smelled like roses.

Julia sighed and took a step back, “I- it does not matter sir what I feel you have Miss Pier and to my misfortune I will have Sir Lucas…” she finally had said and it felt relieving to her heart.

“Miss Pier? I have no attachments Miss Carter she is just a good friend of the family. Have I given you another impression regarding my feelings toward her? If so I do apologize and with most sincerity and confess to you that my heart belongs to you…” he said in a whisper as he closed the space between them. He picked her face with his fingers and smiled at her, “As for Mr. Lucas I do not see him at all as competition Miss Carter…I can win your father’s approval. I heard about you misfortune but according to your own brother it has not been made official to society till your older. I can talk to your father if your feelings toward me are equal.”

She felt shivers at his touch and his eyes she got lost in them, “I do feel the same Mr. McLean you have done something to me that I have only read in books.” She told him blushing a little.

Mr. McLean smiled at her and inched his head toward hers, “You do not know how much happiness your confession has made me, my dear Julia.” with that he gently brushed his lips against hers, “I hope I do not wake up all of a sudden and find out this is a dream,” he said as he stepped back a little and just in time to see Mr. Carter coming back with his hat in hand.

Julia felt weak and knew that if she moved she would fall, “Glad you found it,” she told her brother in an almost whisper. She held on to her brother’s hand for support.

“Well we will see you later Mr. McLean,” Nicholas told Alexander as he saw the look him and his sister shared. So his plan had worked and he would learn of it soon from Julia.

******

Alexander was elated and he could not seem to take away the picture of him kissing Miss Julia. “My Julia,” he whispered to himself as he took a seat in the library.

“May I come in?” Miss Pier said as she walked into the library, she knew exactly where she would find Mr. McLean.

“I was about to do some reading Victoria,” Alexander told her as he did no intentions of acknowledging her presence.

“I just wanted to tell you that I am really enjoying our visit here in London and now Lime this weekend.” She continued ignoring his wish to be left alone.

“Lime? I thought you mother said you were leaving on Thursday?” suddenly he was annoyed.

“Well yes but after learning about the beach in Lime I insisted to her that we must go. Besides being around you makes me happy, Alexander what do you want me to do so you can see how much I admire you?” she asked him as she took a seat beside him. “Is it not obvious? Why even your mother hints it to my mother…”

“I do not understand anything Victoria…I can not lie and say I am interested when I am not. I am deeply sorry if you got that impression from me. To me you are just a great friend almost sister,” he said a little more annoyed by then.

“Well I can change that really,” she told him and without warning pressed her lips on his.

Alexander pushed her off, “What are you doing Victoria? That is not proper of a young lady…now leave or I will.” He said still taken aback by her forwardness, that just did not look right on a woman.