- Text Size +
Julia was in love with Lime, while everyone was getting settled after there arrival she had escaped now walked in the wonderful garden the inn they were staying in had. She was ready to go see the sea, maybe in a sunset.

Alexander had seen Julia walk out and after making sure his mother and sister were in there room safely he did what he had been thinking. He smiled as he saw her looking at the birds in a tree, “Why are you not getting settled?” he asked as he walked to where she stood.

“Mr. McLean,” Julia said suddenly feeling embarrassed she had not seen him since the kiss they had shared. She was still recovering from it, she still had not shared with anyone that. “I-I just thought the garden was beautiful so I had to come down and just admire it.”

He smiled as he realized that Julia was getting nervous with his presence, “Call me Alexander,” he told her as he extended his arm. “Let’s walk further into the garden then,” he gave her a smile hoping she would accept.

“I do not know if that is proper,” she said as she still took his hand and without even realizing started walking with him.

“I will not do anything to you Miss Julia,” he said as he led the way into the garden. “I meant what I told you that day Miss Julia… Please be kind to my heart and tell me you accept my offer. Marry Miss Julia.”

Julia stopped and subconsciously took her hand back from Mr. McLean’s. “I- I would love to Mr. – I mean Alexander but, I have a feeling that my father has made his mind up. I am to marry Sir Lucas my father is a very stubborn person.”

“Do you love me?” he asked as he took both her hands in his. He looked into her eyes and leaned into her face, “We can fight for us, I know I can win your father’s approval and your brother can help us.” He told her as he dared to once again kiss her soft lips smiling inside at the feeling of having her lips on his.

What was happening to her? So many things were running through her head as she allowed Mr. Mclean to kiss her. She even wrapped her arm around his neck to keep herself from falling, “Wow,” she said panting after he broke the kiss.

Alexander smiled as he caressed her cheek; he could see himself doing that again. “End this agony and allow me to ask for your hand.” He told her as he kissed her once more.

Julia closed her eyes and just kissed him back, this was ridiculous she knew but she could not stop her heart it had a will of its own. She pulled away and smiled, “I need time, maybe my brother will find something on Sir Lucas. I am just scared that I feel all this happiness and then it all comes down with my father’s rejection. I know Sir William Carter and he never backs down on his word,” she sighed finally daring to let go of his neck and take distance from him. Yet it did not work she tripped but was caught by Alexander's strong arms.

“Let me deal with that just say yes to my proposal.” he told her as he helped her stand his breath on her neck her soft neck with out realizing it he dared and touch it. “Please,” he whispered into her ear.

Julia was experiencing things she never had before and only had read about. She was shivering at his touch yet she did not run, “Yes,” she whispered as she closed her eyes enjoying his soft touch.

“Julia?” Nicholas said out loud walking into the garden. “Julia are you here?”

“I have to go but stay assured Miss Julia you have made me the happiest man alive,” Alexander said as he kiss her cheek once more and walked through another direction, he did not want to bump into Nicholas.

“Yes I’m here,” Julia said walking toward where she heard her brother’s voice.

“Are you alright?” Nicholas asked as he saw his sister.

“Yes, I think it’s just the sun.” she lied as she gave her brother a smile. “But I love Lime so far.”

“So how are you doing with Mr. McLean and his apparent courting to Miss Pier?” he asked as they both began to walk into the garden.

She stopped and stared at her brother, “I have to confess something to you,” Julia told her brother. “Alexander – I mean Mr. McLean has asked me to marry him. He told me he did not feel anything for Miss Pier.”

********

The two weeks in Lime went by fast for the most part. Even if only Nicholas, Caroline, Julia and Alexander knew about the new found relationship. Nicholas was happy to see his sister happy and not terrified with the idea of actually marrying someone worthy of her. Yet he did fear what was in the future for them, for one his father was an honorable man and he never went down on an offer. He had made a deal with Sir Lucas and he had a feeling he was going to keep it, unless Julia fought. But was Julia strong enough to fight for what she really wanted? “Well I believe I have had the best time ever,” he said as he looked at his cards.

“Yes it has,” Caroline said as she too looked preoccupied on her hand. “I believe I am winning tonight,” she gave Nicholas a smile.

“I cannot believe that tonight is our last night in Lime,” Miss Pier interrupted as she looked at the others play. “Well I am glad that after here we will be back in Paris,” she said in annoyance. Even if no one had let her into the secret she had seen Alexander’s eyes on Julia.

“Well actually Victoria we are going to ride back to London. Mrs. McLean has allowed us to extend our stay for a while longer. I must say I have fallen in love with London, maybe we can get your father to get an estate in London. Unless you find yourself a beau here my dear Victoria.” Mrs. Pier chimed as she took a sip from her tea.

“That sounds very exciting,” Victoria said smiling toward Alexander and Caroline.

“Yes it is, I have also planned some outings for you with my son and Caroline of course,” Mrs. Mclean said as she winked toward her son.

Suddenly the smile on Julia’s face disappeared she had seen the look on Mrs. McLean’s face she wanted her son to marry Miss Pier and her father wanted her to marry Sir Lucas. Maybe she should follow her father’s wishes yet she made Nicholas a promise and she could not break it. “I won,” Julia said she flashed her cards.

“Well I guess victory runs in the family,” Elizabeth said as she smiled. “It seems that in all three games we Carter’s have managed to win.”

“Well you are a Dorough now,” Howard said as he smiled to his wife.

“Are you alright?” Caroline asked Julia a little worried.

“I guess I must be tired, I am going to head to my room.” Julia curtsied and without another word walked out.

Soon everyone else followed suit, Alexander stayed behind just thinking of how he was going to explain to his mother that Miss Pier was not who he wanted to marry. She would understand but he knew she had her hopes up for him to marry Miss Pier. Julia was just as much or even more suitable for him. She was wealthy, beautiful and her family was well known.

“Alexander?” Miss Pier said as she walked in on him still in the common room of the Inn. “Are you not going to sleep tonight?”

“I was just about to actually,” he said vowing to her and began to walk out.

“Wait,” Victoria said standing in front of him. “I just wanted to thank you for such wonderful time you have given me here. I can understand why you always talk about England like you do it is a wonderful country.”

“I am glad you enjoyed yourself,” he said as he moved away from the sudden closeness between them. But to no avail Victoria again did what she wanted and kissed him. It was only a peck because he pushed her off, “Good night Victoria.” That is when he saw Julia standing in the hallway looking into the common room. He wanted to run and tell her that what she had seen was not what she thought. He was late though she was already gone…