- Text Size +
Once back in London Julia was in for a surprise bigger than the one she had had in Lime. “Papa,” Julia said as she hugged her father.

“My dear Julia,” Sir William said as he hugged his younger daughter. “I’ve come for you, Bayshore is not quite the same with out you and Percy seems to be ill since your departure. He misses you.”

“I will be ready when you are father,” Julia said without another word after seeing Mr. McLean and Miss Pier she did not care to stay longer in London.

“I also have a surprise for you; Sir Lucas has come with me in this journey.” Sir William began as he looked at his daughter and ignoring his sons sudden glare.

“Father may I have a word with you first,” Nicholas interrupted before his fathered continued. “It’s urgent sir,” he said desperately.

Sir William sighed heavily and obliged, “Fine as you please,” he said anger showing in his tone of voice. “Let us be Julia,” he ordered to his daughter.

******

Julia wiped her tears as she heard her brother storm out of the library where he had been with her father, “Nicholas it is fine,” she told him as she gave her brother a weak smile.

“No it is not Julia; he needs to let you choose. You want Mr. McLean and he should agree with your choice,” Nicholas said with anger in his voice.

“No I do not want Mr. McLean,” Julia said as she looked down at the floor. “I cannot love someone who has feelings for another woman,” she said sadness clear in her voice. With that she took the locket off her neck and handed it to her brother, “I can’t keep that promise anymore, I will do as father wishes.”

“No you cannot do that Julia,” Nicholas said as he made Julia look at him. “What are you talking about? Why do you not want to marry Mr. McLean anymore?”

She sighed and closed her eyes as she told her brother, “I walked in as he and Miss Pier shared a very romantic moment. It is apparent he does have feelings for Miss Pier and I am no one to separate them. It is also very clear that Mrs. McLean wishes for that marriage to take place. Maybe Sir Lucas is suitable for me,” she told him as she walked into the library where her father waited for her.

********

“I do not know what to do sister that is why I have come to you for help, Julia trusts you,” Alexander told his sister Caroline as they both sat in the library.

“Tomorrow night when they come to our ball, I will talk to her.” Caroline told her brother seeing how crossed he was about Miss Pier’s insinuations toward him.

“I hope it works. I do not want to loose her…” Alexander sighed as he closed his eyes remembering the kisses he shared with Julia in Lime.

“What will you do about Miss Pier?” Caroline asked as she stared at her brother with a curios look.

“I have a plan for her to meet Mr. Littrell’s second cousin Sir Kevin Richardson who will be coming with them to the ball. I have a feeling she will get along quite well with Sir Richardson,” he sighed hoping she did.

“Was he not engaged once but lost his wife to be to consumption?” Caroline asked as she smiled at her brother’s plan.

“Yes, he has been so alone since then. That’s why our cousin Leighanne said he was coming with them so he can try to court a suitable lady again.”

“Poor fellow,” she said suddenly feeling sad for him. “I can not imagine loosing Nicholas, I would die myself.”

********

“Are you sure you can handle being at the ball? We can say you are ill,” Nicholas told his sister as he walked with her down to the coach that waited for them.

“I am fine; this ball is in honor of you and Caroline I have to be there.” Julia said as she was helped inside the coach where her father already sat.

“You look gorgeous my Julia, Sir Lucas will be the envy tonight.” He smiled at his daughter.

“No father Nicholas will be, Miss Caroline is a very gorgeous young lady.” Julia said smiling to his brother.

“Yes indeed she is and she has found a very great lad herself. I am proud in your choice son,” he remarked even though he knew his son was not speaking to him since the conversation about Sir Lucas.

“I wish you would allow all your of your children to choose,” Nicholas said in a blunt tone.

*******

Julia walked in hand of her father and they were greeted by Sir Lucas in the entrance, “Sir Lucas it is nice to see you again,” Sir William said as he vowed.

“Miss Julia,” Sir Lucas vowed to his now official fiancée. “You look like an angel fallen from heaven,” he extended his arm to her.

Julia curtsied to Sir Lucas and hesitantly wrapped her arm around his. “Thank you,” she said as she turned around trying to spot her brother. But he was no where to be seen, he had told her if she was to do as there father wished he would not be around to see it.

“I hope you have not forgotten how to dance Miss Julia,” Sir Lucas told her as they walked into the ballroom already full with guests.

It was not long before Julia spotted Mr. McLean and without much care put on the best smile on her face. She even held tighter to Sir Lucas, “I would be honored to dance with you Sir Lucas,” she told him.

“Miss Julia you look spectacular,” Mrs. McLean said as she came upon her, her father and Sir Lucas.

Julia curtsied to her and then she spoke, “Mrs. McLean this is my father Sir William Carter and this is Sir Lucas,” she said.

“Her fiancé,” Sir Lucas finished for her.

“What? I did not know you were engaged Miss Carter,” Mrs. McLean said in a surprised tone.

“Well that is because she just got engaged Last night,” Sir William said as he vowed to her. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“Same here now that we will be family I hope to see more of you Sir William. Is Mrs. Carter in London as well?”

“I am afraid not but she sends her love, she is very excited about the wedding. She has begun to make changes at Bayshore for the wedding,” Sir William told her.

“I can not wait to see Bayshore both my son and daughter say it is a gorgeous place.” Mrs. McLean said.

*******

“May I have a word with you,” Nicholas asked Mr. McLean as he reached him.

“Why of course,” Mr. McLean said as he finally caught a glimpse of Julia and suddenly he felt his heart drop. She was in hand of Sir Lucas.

“In the library please,” Nicholas said.