- Text Size +
Once outside in the garden, “How dare you dishonor my sister?” Nicholas asked Mr. McLean anger apparent in the way he stared at him.

“I have done no such thing,” Alexander told Nicholas as he stared at him straight in the eyes.

Nicholas inhaled as he controlled his anger after all he was going to be his brother in law either way. “I do not know if you may know this or not but my sister confides in me and she told me of your indiscretion with Miss Pier. I believe you had told her you had no attachment with Miss Pier but your actions in Lime showed the contrary.”

“That is correct Miss Pier is nothing to me, I did not lie to Julia.” Alexander told Nicholas raising his voice a little.

“Well I hate to be the one to give you the news your opportunity with my sister is lost. She has accepted Sir Lucas’s proposal and are to be married in a few months. It is apparent you do not deserve my sister… she does not want to see you again. She leaves back to Bayshore tomorrow. I hope you keep your distance from her,” Nicholas said coldly ignoring the sudden face of surprise in Alexander’s face.

“She cannot marry Sir Lucas,” He told Nicholas as he felt his lungs asking for more air. “She does not love him, she loves me.”

“No she loved you, you shattered her heart. Now I ask you to let her be and move on.” Nicholas told him anger apparent still in his tone.

“Nicholas you must help me, I love Julia. That night in Lime was a mistake that had nothing to do with me. I have been clear with Miss Pier about my feelings,” Alexander told him hoping that Nicholas would tell him that Julia was indeed not engaged with Sir Lucas.

“I cannot do more, she has made her choice. I just hope this does not jeopardize our friendship I am engaged to marry Caroline.” Nicholas said finally realizing that maybe Mr. McLean was being sincere and did have profound feelings for his sister. “I have no say in this anymore Alexander…Julia has agreed to the engagement to Sir Lucas. I hope that in time you can move on just like she will.” With that Nicholas left him and went back into the ballroom smiling as he saw Caroline.

********

Alexander had been in a horrible mood after he had learned about Julia’s engagement to Sir Lucas. “I cannot allow her to do this,” he told himself as he watched her dance with the retched man.

“May I ask why the long face Alexander?” Miss Pier asked she looked toward the direction Alexander was staring to. “Do they not make a handsome couple?”

“I have no intentions of denying that I am crossed about Miss Julia’s sudden engagement to Sir Lucas… But I also have no intentions in sharing with you my reasons, now if you will excuse me.” Alexander told Miss Pier as he vowed and walked away. “May I have a word you with sister?” he told Caroline as he walked to her who was very busy talking to his soon to be father in law.

“Sir Carter I believe you remember my brother?” Caroline asked Mr. Carter as she turned to face her brother.

“Mr. McLean how do you do?” Mr. Carter asked him as he greeted him.

“I am well Sir. I hope you are enjoying your stay in London I would like to invite you tomorrow to play some billiards?” Alexander knew he would decline but he was trying to be polite.

“I will have to decline you see I head back to Bayshore tomorrow. I just came for Julia,” he told Mr. McLean. He smiled as just then Sir Lucas and Julia walked to them.

“I very much enjoyed the dance Sir Lucas,” Julia told him smiling at her now fiancé. She had done it on purpose knowing that Alexander was there.

“Sir Lucas you do remember Mr. McLean?” Mr. Carter spoke up bringing Julia’s attention as Sir Lucas.

“Yes indeed I do Sir, how do you do?” Sir Lucas asked him.

“Not as well as you good Sir, congratulations I have heard about your engagement to Miss Julia,” Alexander said as he stared at Julia vowing at her. “Nicholas has shared the good news with me already; I do wish you both happiness.”

“Thank you Mr. McLean, I actually am the one to be happy with my father’s good choice for me. Sir Lucas is quite a gentleman and I cannot wait to be married to him.” Julia told him as anger was felt with every word she spoke.

“Julia please have this dance with me,” Nicholas asked her sister seeing what was unwrapping in front of his father. “Sir Lucas I hope you do not mind,” he told him as he took his sister’s arm.

“Of course not go ahead.” Sir Lucas said as he smiled back at his bride to be.

******

Nicholas watched as Caroline and Alexander left his father and Sir Lucas, “What were you thinking displaying yourself like that?” he asked his sister as he turned her.

“I thought you were not talking to me,” Julia asked her brother giving him a grin. “I do apologize I am glad you have asked me to dance. I do not think I can dance one more piece with Sir Lucas…I wanted Alexander to hurt like I am hurting.”

“My dear Julia you cannot do that, I am very annoyed with your sudden impulse to accept father’s choice of a husband for you. He is not for you and I will now make sure to prove that to you…Now about Alexander he loves you Julia. I have a feeling that Miss Pier is the one to blame for whatever you witnessed in Lime. When I told him of your engagement I felt for him. Do not let love slip away Julia.” Nicholas told his sister just as the song ended. “Now go join your party, I am going to find Caroline.”

“Oh excuse me,” Miss Pier told Nicholas as he caught her before she fell. “I did not see you coming,” she gave him a smile. He was very handsome indeed and it would be nice to take him away from Caroline. She knew Caroline hated her just as much as she hated her. “Where is Caroline? If you were my fiancé I would not leave your side Mr. Carter.”

“Miss Pier I have no worries about my fiancée’s whereabouts and do not worry once she is my wife she will not be apart from me for a mere second, now please excuse me.” Nicholas told her giving her a half smile.

*******

“Miss Pier?” Leighanne said as she faced her.

“Leighanne, how do you do?” Miss Pier asked her friend she had met her before. She knew she was Caroline’s cousin.

“I am fine I am a married woman now,” she told her as she hugged her. “Come on I will present you to my husband and his cousin.”

“Sure congratulations on your marriage. Is he handsome?” Miss Pier asked as she walked by her side.

“Yes and he is very caring,” Leighanne told her. “Have you seen my cousins? I have only seen my aunt.”

“I have no idea Leighanne where they would be. I saw them both walk toward the library.” Miss Pier said as she saw a very handsome man with the most beautiful green eyes staring toward her and Leighanne.

********

Alexander watched as his sister walked away in hands of Nicholas. He was glad she was happy at least; he walked out and was again in the garden. Maybe he should also hire someone to see if he could find something on Sir Lucas. There was something about that man he did not like and he did not deserve Miss Julia. He was brought back from his thoughts when he felt foots steps nearing; he hid in a tall bush wanting to be alone.

“I cannot wait to be back at Bayshore and see my Percy.” Julia said out loud as she walked into the garden. She had sneaked away from Sir Lucas and his father, “I have so much to think about and I have a wedding to plan that I do not even want. But, I cannot take my word back,” she sighed as she walked more into the garden. She took a deep breath, suddenly she needed it.

“Yes you can,” Alexander said finally coming out from where he hid. He was glad it had been Julia who was now in the garden too. “We need to talk,” he told her walking toward her.

“Mr. McLean,” Julia said a little startled. “We have nothing to talk about sir, I must head back inside my fiancé is waiting for me,” she told him trying to get past him. It was no use his arm stopped her, “I will scream,” she told him as she stared into his eyes.

“No you will not,” he told her as he once again was in front of her. “I need you to know that I have no attachments with Miss Pier and that night in Lime she was the one that kissed me. I know you think I do have sentiments for her but I do not, I swear to you my heart only belongs to you,” he told her his face only inches from her face.

Julia closed her eyes and took a minute to answer, “I am afraid it is too late, I am engaged. Its better if you do marry her it would please your mother too,” she told him finally staring at him again. She brushed her lips on his and she saw his eyes close, “I sorry I must go,” she pulled herself away and ran before he could react.