- Text Size +
“Just do it,” Henry ordered Julia who hesitated. “It will not hurt Julia trust me I will catch you…” he smiled at his cousin.

“Fine I will jump,” Julia said with eager eyes staring down at her cousin. They were deep into the forest exploring it. She closed her eyes and jumped off the huge rock. But then she felt Henry’s strong arms catch her and she finally breathed. “It was actually very fascinating.”

“I told you so cousin,” Henry said smiling at her as he put her down. “Now let’s go that way see if we can see any worth talking about. “I want to see if I can find any plants with medicinal purposes.”

Julia followed her cousin with admiration, “Henry could I ask you something?” Julia said breaking the silence.

“Of course cousin I will try to answer it the best I can,” Henry said stopping to smile at her.

“How does it feel to be getting education on Medicine? Is it as interesting as you make it seem everyday when we come out here?” She asked him with eagerness. “I wish I could get such education.”

“It is a very great experience Julia the things you learn…I love it. Now we all know women do not have such capacity to learn like we men do. Stick to the piano forte and whatever else you do.” Henry told Julia as her as they began to walk again.

Julia felt offended by his comment she was just as much capable as he was to learn, “I want to go home,” she told him abruptly. “I know the way on my own,” she curtsied and without another word began to walk the opposite way.

“Julia…cousin please stop,” Henry said finally walking after her. He had a smirk on his face the more he knew about her the more she intrigued him. He liked her and more than just as family.

*******

“Not now Percy,” Julia screamed at her dog that only wanted some of her affection.

“What can possibly be bothering you so much that you are griping at you dog?” Roberta asked her sister that seemed more worried in picking out a book.

“I will show Henry that women are smarter than any man I know.” Julia said still rooming the shelves of books in her library.

“I assume you are crossed about something? What did our cousin say that has made you so upset Julia,” Roberta asked as she stopped her sister and made her look at her.

“I like Henry but I detest his lack of propriety for women! How dare of him to call us morons! I will show him though!” Julia said with anger still in her eyes.

“Julia you are fast I couldn’t catch up to you…may I have a word with you?” Henry asked as he pretended to catch his breath. “Cousin Roberta my apologies how are you this fine morning?” He bowed toward Roberta.

“Cousin Henry it has been one busy morning wedding arrangements are very complex especially when mother wants Nicholas wedding to be extraordinary. No budget is too much for her, I should go and see if she still needs me,” Roberta squeezed her sister’s hand and curtsied to her cousin on the way out.

“Julia?” Henry asked cautiously as he approached her. “Did I do something that has offended you?” He asked with a smirk on his face.

“No of course not Henry,” Julia said rolling her eyes at him.

“It does not seem like that,” Henry said his smirk still on his face.

“Did you not notice my sarcasm Henry? I have to tell you that your caprice gets me all crossed and for an instance I want to hate you. You seem so well versed yet you cannot accept that women have enough or even more knowledge than what we are allowed to show.” She was practically screaming at him at that point.

“I only say the truth, women I do have to say are beautiful creatures but I have yet to see one that can like you say show me they have the capacity to be like us men,” he said his smirk wider now.

“I must ask you to leave for the fear of me loosing any fondness I have for you as my relative and I disagree with your opinion cousin. I just do not have the patience to present my case to you with such arrogance that you carry…good day.” Julia curtsied and walked away before her cousin could say anything else.

Henry was even more impressed with his cousin. Could she possibly be the right woman for him? She seemed well grounded and even mad she looked stunning. He still stood to his comment about women being inferior to men but this woman Julia Carter his cousin was something new. His feelings for her were becoming very clear now.

**********

Julia was doing quite well in ignoring her egotistical cousin since there last encounter, she was in her room reading when she heard carriage approaching. With eagerness she looked out of her window to spot Mr. Crawford’s Barouche approach and an eager Roberta waiting at the entrance. “Nicholas,” she said realizing then that this meant her father and brother were back as well. She ran down the flight of stairs trying to not have another incident like back in London.

“Roberta sister,” Nicholas said hugging her sister. He let go of Roberta as soon as he spotted his younger sister running out the front door.

“Nicholas,” Julia screamed as she ran to him embracing him. “I am glad you are back mother has us going crazy with your wedding.”

“Well do not worry my dear Julia I did receive a letter from Mrs. McLean and they will arrive very soon actually. How are you?” Nicholas asked concern read on his eyes.

“Yes how are you my dear Julia?” Sir Carter said s he approached both his daughter and son.

“I am fine I could not be better if I had a choice,” Julia said hugging her father as well.

“That is good to hear,” Mr. Crawford said as he joined in with Robert in hand beside him. “Julia I want to apologize for what has happened if I would have not brought Sir Lucas with me you would have not…” he paused as he saw Julia’s face.

“No Mr. Crawford this is no one’s fault so stop apologizing I am fine and we have a wedding to worry about. Now come on lets go in I am sure we have tea ready. Papa mother’s sister Isabel Wisely is here with her son Henry Wisely, they are here for the wedding,” Julia said as she began to walk back into the house. She groaned as she bumped into the person she least wanted to see at that moment, “Henry…” she commented as she turned to make a face her brother was to see.

“Henry yes this is my husband Mr. Crawford, papa and Nicholas our brother,” Roberta chimed in.

“Nice to meet you all,” Henry bowed to the three gentlemen.

“You must be Isabel’s son,” Mr. Carter said eying the young man in front of him. “Come with me we have a lot of catching up to do, I will be in my study with Henry.”

Julia watched her father walk away with her cousin and felt a little jealous but nothing she could not get over with. “Nicholas we need to talk,” Julia told her brother.

“Of course how about I go find mother first and I will meet you in the library?” Nicholas asked hugging his sister one more time.

*********

“Julia?” Nicholas asked after he walked into the library.

“Yes I am here,” Julia said climbing down the stairway they used to get the books on the upper shelves.

“What is it?” he asked in a concerned tone.

“I have to confess something to you,” Julia said biting her bottom lip.

“Well do not make me nervous by not telling me…” Nicholas said staring at her sister.

“Well… Alexander was the one to find out about Sir Lucas and he was the one to send you the evidence. He came to look for me right after he found out about it and has asked me to marry him…I accepted. He is going to ask papa for my hand in marriage after your wedding.” Julia finally breathed.

Nicholas mulled it all in silence staring at his sister. He lips curled into a mischievous smile, “I knew you would come to your sense as much as I want to hate Alexander I cannot he seems to be honest about what he feels for you. I am happy for you Julia,” he said hugging her. “Now let’s hope father accepts,” he sighed.

“He should I mean Alexander is a great gentlemen with class and money.” Julia said with worry in her voice.

“True,” Nick agreed and then he sighed. “Can I ask you something Julia?”

“Our cousin Henry… the way he stared at you is there something I should know?” Nicholas asked.